Windows Support Forum

Win7-Home -> Win7-Pro-Upgrade -> Win8-Pro-Upgrade -> 8.1

Q: Win7-Home -> Win7-Pro-Upgrade -> Win8-Pro-Upgrade -> 8.1

Win7-Home -> Win7-Pro-Upgrade -> Win8-Pro-Upgrade -> Win8.1

Yes I had to go through that litany of upgrades to get to Win8.1 and I then installed a bunch of software on top. Then I wanted to use the Windows Hyper-V so I could get Ubuntu running also but it turns out that my Intel CPU Core 2 Duo will not support Hyper-V.

So I bought a new motherboard and CPU with the 1155 socket which should support Hyper-V.

So is there someway to shortcut this litany of of disk-in disk-out over and over and over upgrade chain that took me three days to get through? I would be willing to pay for the Windows 8 non-upgrade key for $199 but when I called the Microsoft store they said it was "OUT OF STOCK" what ever the frig that means and they couldn't sell me one. Can't get it online either.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Win7-Home -> Win7-Pro-Upgrade -> Win8-Pro-Upgrade -> 8.1

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Win7-Home -> Win7-Pro-Upgrade -> Win8-Pro-Upgrade -> 8.1

Newegg has a non-upgrade OEM disc you can use @ Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit (Full Version) I hope that's what you are looking for.

If you need the Windows 8 Professional instead (OEM): Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version)

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/32274-win7-home-win7-pro-upgrade-win8-pro-upgrade-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 94.55%

Following the discussion above:
Upgrade from Win7 Home Premium SP1 to Win8 Pro? [DELL N5110]

After the upgrade (not clean install), The update worked well.
Everything has been installed properly, but I have a problem metro (START).
When I open Microsoft Application Mail\Calender\Store, The application opens and closes immediately so you can not use it.

What should I do?
Thanks!

A:Have a problem after upgrade the system to Win8 Pro from Win7 Home Pre

I'll tag along just in case someone actually has a fix for that. Its happened to me once or twice and the only way I could ever fix it was by reinstalling Windows 8 from scratch, AKA a clean install.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/10974-have-problem-after-upgrade-system-win8-pro-win7-home-pre.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Is it possible to upgrade the laptop DELL N5110 from Win7 Home Premium SP1 64Bit to Win8 Pro 64Bit?

Currently installed on Win7 Home Premium SP1 64Bit, is recommended to perform an upgrade or a clean installation?

If I decide to upgrade, will all the files and folders saves?

The system will work some without crashes? What more should upgrade or clean installation?

Do a clean install of Win8 Pro is automatic recognizes all the DELL N5110 drivers?

Thanks!

A:Upgrade from Win7 Home Premium SP1 to Win8 Pro? [DELL N5110]

Hello Techo, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Yes, you can upgrade or clean install to 64-bit Windows 8 Pro if you like.

I personally like doing a clean install, but either will work. The upgrade will be cheaper than a system builders (full) copy though.
Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

and

Buy Windows - Microsoft Windows
If you upgrade, you keep backup schedule, programs, Windows settings, user accounts and files. I would still recommend to backup anything that you do not want to lose just to be safe though.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Upgrading or a clean install may or may not install drivers for your devices. You can download Windows 8 drivers for your Dell N5110 at the Dell link bellow though.

Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States]

There's no guarantee that your system will not crash or have any other issues. Just to many variables. If the installation goes well, then you should usually be good to go though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/10785-upgrade-win7-home-premium-sp1-win8-pro-dell-n5110.html
Relevancy 85.87%

Greetings to How post Pro Home Premium recover HDD crash from upgrade Win7 Win7 - This is my first time here and am very thankful for this great collection of forums How to recover Win7 Pro upgrade from Win7 Home Premium post HDD crash and this community I am trying to recover from a VAIO laptop HDD crash to Win Professional upgrade I had finished working shutdown Win Pro cleanly Drove home attempted to launch Windows and could not not in Safe Mode either I restarted with F to launch Recovery Mode and it would only get to about and reboot with a drive error xE - I've forgotten the exact code and can put this old drive in and get it if required I've done the following Bought laptop with Win Home Premium Purchased and install Win Professional Installed VS Did a whole lot of work for years Original drive crashed Replace old GB HDD with GB HDD Downloded and installed Win Home Premium using original key Started catching again with a few hundred Win updates My question to the community and or any experts is - how do I install the upgrade to Win Professional without having to pay Microsoft again Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance Regards

A:How to recover Win7 Pro upgrade from Win7 Home Premium post HDD crash

Do you have an Anytime Upgrade key for Professional?

If so do a Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 of Home Premium, then after it is setup and running fine, insert the Professional product Key into Windows Anytime Upgrade - How to

If instead you have a retail Upgrade copy of Professional then you can boot it's installer to Clean Install it on its own. The installer will see an OS on the hard drive to allow use of Upgrade version key, after which you should delete all partitions to get it cleanest using the Drive Options in Steps 7-8 of Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348667-how-recover-win7-pro-upgrade-win7-home-premium-post-hdd-crash.html
Relevancy 85.25%

Hi all Hope all is well I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite P -S laptop with Windows Home Premium -bit SP already installed and would like to upgrade it Windows Ultimate I had already purchased a retail version for Win Ultimate before the full version not the upgrade and would like to use this for the upgrade I looked around the forums for some Home Upgrade Win7 64bit Ultimate Win7 Premium from to advice and found some very useful Upgrade from Win7 Home Premium 64bit to Win7 Ultimate stuff but I would appreciate if someone could help with Upgrade from Win7 Home Premium 64bit to Win7 Ultimate the following My apologies if the answers were posted already Must have missed them I read about the Windows Anytime Upgrade feature Will AU work with the full Win Ultimate retail key or does it specifically work with an upgrade key If I use the AU and it is successful will the new Win Ultimate key be converted to an OEM version as well The full-version retail key I have gives me the right to install this to computers I do not want to lose this right since I may use it for different computers in the future Is it better to go for AU or a clean install of Win Since I just purchased the laptop I have no personal data or programs installed so I do not have to worry about losing data However Toshiba has certain software installed with the laptop My understanding of a clean install is that everything will be wiped clean and then necessary software e g drivers etc need to be installed again On the other hand once I upgrade to Ultimate perhaps some of this software will become obsolete I am leaning towards AU since it looks less of an hassle and I am not that tech savvy but I read that a clean install may increase performance by getting rid of the 'bloatware' Any advice on this would be appreciated Thank you in advance

A:Upgrade from Win7 Home Premium 64bit to Win7 Ultimate

What`s the need for the upgrade ? Save your Retail Ultimate for another build. But someone will be along to answer your question.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/254962-upgrade-win7-home-premium-64bit-win7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 84.63%

This may seem like a stupid question but I'm just curious. Would it be possible to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate RC to Windows 7 Home Premium using the Upgrade version disc? I mean, it is two different 'versions' and I can't really afford the full (OEM) version of Win7 HP. Is it possible or do I have to buy the full version?

A:Win7 Ultimate RC to Win7 Home Premium Upgrade.

It's my generally semi-educated idea that, In order to get the RC you had to have a earlier MS OS on your rig. So now you want to down grade to a different version of 7 that has less to it, but all you need? From my readings of the proper install of upgrade versions, you would need to reinstall you original MS OS. Then apply the new upgrade version you require.
This would remove your ultimate and give a fresh start to apply the 7 prem.(upgrade) to.
Back up any and all you'll want to bring back into the new OS environment, and you should be good to go. This all assumes that you have a previous version of a Microsoft OS that you own?
I would go that rout just so that the time exspired version(ultimate) would be removed and no orphaned files left to mingle with new install of the upgrade.
But again, I'm no Tech, and I hold great reverence for those that know much more than I.
Best wishes.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/278345/win7-ultimate-rc-to-win7-home-premium-upgrade/
Relevancy 84.63%

I have a small notebook. It does have a malware that I can't get did of.
Therefore I want to do a clean upgrade. I saw it somewhere on the net
but I can't find it now.
There were 3 methods one with a change in the registry and
another where you do a double upgrade
I do have the win 7 home premium CD
Mogens

A:upgrade win7 starter to win7 home premium

Hello Mogens, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Here you go.

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/351811-upgrade-win7-starter-win7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 82.77%

can win7 starter be upgraded to win8?

A:upgrade win7 to win8?

I don't think anyone can say with absolute certainty at this time since Windows 8 hasn't even been released as a beta, only as a pre-beta developer preview.

Quote:
These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will.
Note: You can't uninstall the Windows 8 Developer Preview. To go back to your previous operating system, you must reinstall it from restore or installation media.

Windows Metro Style Apps Developer Downloads

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/202147-upgrade-win7-win8.html
Relevancy 82.77%

Considering upgrading my main pc from Win7 to Win8 preview edition, but would like to know first if I can do an actual "upgrade" versus "clean install" of the preview version - without losing any of my settings from Win7 (or data).

Would also like to know if when the full Win8 version comes out, if I can just upgrade the preview version to that, again without losing any data/settings.

Or would it be best to wait until the full version comes out, and upgrade then?

Relevancy 82.77%

Would all computers using Win7 be upgradeable to Win8?? I'm thinking about buying a Toshiba all in one touch screen with win7 installed.I read a review that stated the model could not be upgraded because drivers were not compatable. The model is LX835-d3250. This is a recent model release with few reviews and find it hard to believe that's the case. If true I will not buy the model since I want win8 with touch screen.
I can find no info on this in any spec. or manuf.web site. Any knowledge of this??

A:Win7 to Win8 upgrade..??

Welcome to EightForums.

Take a look here:
Upgrade to Windows 8 - Toshiba

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/14580-win7-win8-upgrade.html
Relevancy 81.84%

Hi,

Paid $39.99 to upgrade my Win7 Home Premium, burned it to disk.

For some strange reason, the install is Win7.

If it's a factor, have a dual boot with Ubantu.

Any ideas of why this is happening?

A:Why is my Win8 upgrade saying it's a Win7 install?

When dual booting with Linux, all sorts of oddball thinks can happen to Windows.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/16403-why-my-win8-upgrade-saying-its-win7-install.html
Relevancy 81.84%

I have a test machine with win 7 on it. I also have an Win8 pro upgrade iso (bought just after win 8 RTM).
The copies are older copies, before all the 'OEM only' nonsense.

I need to have win 7 AND win 8.x on this test machine. What I'd like to do is clone the win 7 drive, upgrade to win 8 (and/or 8.1) so that I can switch between the win7 and win8 drives when I need one OS or the other. All in the same machine, no monkey business. I just need to be able to test on both OS's on an ongoing basis. They won't be used at the same time or on any other machines.

Doable?

Thanks!

A:Win7-Win8 upgrade Licensing

It's technically doable, but not legally doable. Upgrade copies of Windows don't contain a license, they simply transfer the existing Windows license to a new version of Windows. So you can't use both Windows 7 and Windows 8 at the same time, legally, since you only have the upgrade version of 8. You'd need to buy a fully licensed copy of Win8 to be on the right side of the law, but from a purely technical standpoint there's no reason you couldn't do what you're describing.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/56651-win7-win8-upgrade-licensing.html
Relevancy 81.22%

Hello,

I bought an upgrade version of 8.1 Pro from my university, so I need to have an os installed before upgrading. However, I want to install it on my new PC, which means I have to install Win7 before upgrading. I wanted to know if I can install win7 and immediately install the upgrade, or is it better to go to windows update and install all the updates before upgrading?

Thank you,
Michael

A:Do I need to update Win7 before installing Win8.1 Upgrade?

Originally Posted by MichaelK

Hello,

I bought an upgrade version of 8.1 Pro from my university, so I need to have an os installed before upgrading. However, I want to install it on my new PC, which means I have to install Win7 before upgrading. I wanted to know if I can install win7 and immediately install the upgrade, or is it better to go to windows update and install all the updates before upgrading?

Thank you,
Michael

Hi Michael, welcome to Windows EightForums!

When you run the 8.1 upgrade, the 'Upgrade Assistant' will check compatibility such as drivers, etc. so it would probably be good to update as much W7 stuff as possible.

(let us know how it goes! )

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/47324-do-i-need-update-win7-before-installing-win8-1-upgrade.html
Relevancy 81.22%

I go to Win8? 32bit Pro or to Upgrade 64bit Win7 have Upgrade Win7 Pro 32bit to 64bit or go to Win8? an aging system Win Pro bit I would like to upgrade to Upgrade Win7 Pro 32bit to 64bit or go to Win8? bit Upgrade Win7 Pro 32bit to 64bit or go to Win8? in order to be able to use more ram and other benefits Trying to decide whether to go to Win or Win Pro bit I have some favorite programs that run on the bit system and may not run on bit As I understand it I may be able to run these bit porgrams on a bit machine I am not a total newbie but have not been keeping up on new technology since so I am asking for advice I have a computer tech who can help My tech friend is advising NOT to go to Win He says that he would not recommend this OS until at least two years time has passed since it's introduction so MS has time to work out bugs I am also just upgrading a desktop and have no touch screen I want my new system to be a media center some graphics and some light video work I have bought Asus AMD FX Atx DIMM DDR TUF Sabertooth MOBO ASUS - SABERTOOTH FX AMD FX - EIGHT-CORE GHZ MB w AM CPU AMD FD FRHKBOX FX- Eight-Core GHz AM Processor - AM Eight-Core GHz MB W Unlocked at TigerDirect com Kingston GB MHz - - DDR HyperX Red thinking about getting another gb and upping my ram to gb HyperX red Kingston Technology I will be using my current Silverstone watt power supply hard disks case and DVD drives Have a AMD Radeon video card Some more questions If I upgrade to Win bit while changing hardware what is the procedure for getting MS to recognize this change I have a leagl copy of Win Pro bit Is there any real advantage to go to Win How can keep the ability to run present bit software Thanks for your help Bill

A:Upgrade Win7 Pro 32bit to 64bit or go to Win8?

Hello Bill and welcome to Seven Forums. Lots of questions and I have no definitive answers for you. Just some personal opinion and others may totally disagree.

I have very limited experience with Windows 8. I played around with the Beta (consumer preview) for about 2 months and I didn't like it. To me it felt like a lot of the functionality I was used to in Windows 7 (and Windows XP before that) was missing. Now don't get me wrong. I think the basic underlying operating system is good. It booted up faster than 7, it has better security, and for about $5.00 you can buy something called Start8 from Stardock that makes Windows 8 look and feel like Windows 7. It even brings back the start button and start menu. But it still felt like I was trying to use a touch operating system on a non-touch computer.

The first thing I'd ask myself is: if I really want to keep the Windows 7 look and feel, why would I bother getting Windows 8 only to make it look and feel like 7? Why not just stay with 7? On the other hand, if I had to replace a broken or aging machine, then I probably would go with 8. But it sounds like your machine has the chops to stay around for a while and it doesn't sound like you have any immediate or pressing need to replace your computer.

Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a clean install. You'll need to backup all your personal data. But you can use the same 25-digit Product Key to activate the 64-bit 7 Pro as you used to activate the 32-bit 7 Pro. You can flip-flop between 32-bit and 64-bit as many times as you want on the same version and as long as only one is activated at a time.

The installer should find most of the necessary drivers automatically. But since you are using 7 Pro you will have available XP Mode which should take care of any compatibility issues. Or you could use a different free virtual machine like VMware Player.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/283681-upgrade-win7-pro-32bit-64bit-go-win8.html
Relevancy 81.22%

Hi,

For a variety of reasons, such as, no WMC in Win10, I want to block or prevent Windows Update from offering to upgrade all of my PC's; at least in the short term, to Win10.

I have 3 desktop PC's running Win8.1 Pro 64bit, 1 running Win7 Ultimate & a Surface Pro 3 running Win8.1 Pro 64bit.

Is there a registry option or whatever that I can apply to prevent Win10 from being installed?

I have searched here & elsewhere & I've found plenty about stopping the Win10 Notification. I've uninstalled the relevant KB's for this several weeks ago.

However, so far I haven't found a option to stop WU from offering Win10 itself.

TIA
BazzaG...

A:Block Windows 10 Upgrade on Win8.x & Win7 PC's

Hello BazzaG,

Windows 10 will not automatically be installed. You must select to do so when notified it's available if wanted.

Reserve Free Upgrade to Get Windows 10 in Windows 7 and 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69416-block-windows-10-upgrade-win8-x-win7-pcs.html
Relevancy 81.22%

hello all,
i get this error when i try to upgrade.....
Windows 7 Ultimate cannot be upgraded to Windows Developer Preview. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows Developer Preview instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You?ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows Developer Preview, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select ?Custom (advanced)?.
can some one pls help me.......

A:win7 ultimate to win8 upgrade error

There's no point in upgrading to an unfinished OS, try creating a new partition and do a clean install in that partition.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/3129-win7-ultimate-win8-upgrade-error.html
Relevancy 81.22%

I have windows 7 32 bit installed on 2 separate drives (dual boot).
On one of the drives I want to install Windows 8, but want to use the 64 bit version to see if it runs a particular programme better taking advantage of more memory.

According to MS upgrading using the Install Assistant or Advisor will not upgrade 32bit to 64bit so I cannot upgrade at the lower price and have to buy the full install cd.

Is this actually the case, or is there any work around that will allow me to download and install the Win8 64bit upgrade at the lower price

A:Upgrade Win7 32Bit to Win8 64bit

When downloading the upgrade you need to

Information

If you need to download 32bit Windows 8, download from a 32bit PC.
If you need to download 64bit Windows 8, download from a 64bit PC.

Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

You will need to wipe the partition first to upgrade from x32 to x64.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/14524-upgrade-win7-32bit-win8-64bit.html
Relevancy 81.22%

I upgraded my system from windows 7 to windows 8 and now my external WDD 1TB drive is displayed in my computer, but when selecting it I get an 'Access Denied'

Can anyone help? Please, all my stored data is on that drive

Thanks!
-Jeff

A:Access Denied after upgrade from win7 to win8

I take it the external drive was formatted as NTFS? Is this an external USB drive?

Are you sure you're trying to access the actual drive? Sometimes even after an upgrade the drive letters change.

You may have to change the permissions to take ownership of the drive, if all else fails. If the drive is not NTFS then there's something else going on, like a driver problem, though I haven't seen that issue before.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/14466-access-denied-after-upgrade-win7-win8.html
Relevancy 111.37%

I am currently running WIN7 but for various reasons I have never been able to get SP1 to instal (have tried since 2011).
Can I now "simply" upgrade to WIN8 ...ie. WITHOUT having SP1 installed on WIN7 - I know I cannot go direct to WIN10 from WIN7 without SP1 ...my plan might therefore be to go (at a ??/$$ cost) first to WIN8 ...and then to WIN8.1 .... leaving WIN 10 to a later date when it becomes more stable. It seems it should be possible to go from WIN7 "basic" to WIN8 preserving windows settings, files and aplications but I cannot get this verified categorically.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks

A:Simple (I hope) question ...upgrade WIn7 to WIN8

Have you read through the forum at all down the bottom of this page is several links that might be of help to you

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/70511-simple-i-hope-question-upgrade-win7-win8.html
Relevancy 111.37%

Think this is ok, but read what is probably scare tripe that MS was documenting Win8 upgrade machine info with Win8 upgrade and killing licenses for old o/s on that machine.

Have an older machine prebuilt with Win7 Home that I upgraded to Pro with Anytime. Saved image. Friend was having XP troubles, so I installed a legal XP license on the box & used it for a while. Then loaded 8.1 Preview. Now want to use Win8 upgrade (the cheap one from Jan) on the box. To me, that's an upgrade over XP. I'm thinking my Win7 license is still legit if I need it in the future.

A:Win7 oem license good if Win8 upgrade from XP install?

Quote: Originally Posted by dianedebuda

Think this is ok, but read what is probably scare tripe that MS was documenting Win8 upgrade machine info with Win8 upgrade and killing licenses for old o/s on that machine.

Have an older machine prebuilt with Win7 Home that I upgraded to Pro with Anytime. Saved image. Friend was having XP troubles, so I installed a legal XP license on the box & used it for a while. Then loaded 8.1 Preview. Now want to use Win8 upgrade (the cheap one from Jan) on the box. To me, that's an upgrade over XP. I'm thinking my Win7 license is still legit if I need it in the future.

Hiya there

Let me see if I have this right

1) Machine with windows 7 installed (oem) upgraded to Windows 8

as I understand it, your legal licence for that machine is now windows 8

2) you then installed XP on the same computer and now want to upgrade that to windows 8

as I understand this wont you have to pay for another win 8 (8.1 this time) upgrade, as your licence for windows 7.. has been upgraded to 8 ? in other words what you have is windows 8 and windows XP.

Interesting question, I have no doubt someone with more knowledge than me will come along to answer this.

Andy

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/316062-win7-oem-license-good-if-win8-upgrade-xp-install.html
Relevancy 111.37%

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my Win 7 x64 Pro to Win 8 x64 Pro RTM unfortunately it fails at the very last step. Just before getting access to the desktop, when it presents the choice of desktop color.
The reason of the failure is displayed for a few seconds before it starts rolling back the installation.
It says PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

Debugging the minidump showed that it probably failed on ntoskernel.

I am using a Sony Vaio laptop with 4Gb RAM.

Any idea what I could do to solve the problem?
I really don't want to install from scratch.

Thank you

A:Win7 x64 pro upgrade to win8 x64 Pro RTM fails on page fault

Well, the bios does not have access to this setting.
So I could check with tools like Sandra but won't be able to change if needed.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8882-win7-x64-pro-upgrade-win8-x64-pro-rtm-fails-page-fault.html
Relevancy 110.08%

I have 2 netbooks with windows7 starter edition on them, I reently purchased an upgrade family pack from Ebay and mistakenly didn't releaze it was software to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows7 Home Premium edition. Before I break the seal, I was wondering if this would work, can I use this upgrade software(Vista to Windows7 Home Premium), to upgrade my windows7 starter edition to full Home Premium or will it not work correctly.
I appreciate any help offered.
Thanks

A:Upgrade Win7 starter using win7 upgrade software for Vista?

Hello there, wil.

There's no problem at all. follow this tutorial and you'll be able to install them without problems.

Clean Install Windows 7

EDIT: sorry, is this one:

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Although you may need an external USB DVD-Drive or installing your Windows 7 from a USB

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

And that'll be it

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/146770-upgrade-win7-starter-using-win7-upgrade-software-vista.html
Relevancy 110.08%

I want to upgrade from Windows 7 64 bit Home edition - To Windows 8 64 bit Home Edition.

I currently have my windows 7 installation on drive C (64GB SSD)

My user profiles, Data and programmes are stored on Drive E ( 1TB HDD )

If i use the windows 8 upgrade option - What will happen?.

Thanks
Brad

A:Upgrade Win7 to Win8 keeping user data&programs on 2nd hdd

Brad,

Though my installation didn't span two volumes like yours does, I ran the upgrade on my system without incident. The upgrade program identified a handful of items that were incompatible and let me remove them as part of the upgrade process. Once done my system operated pretty much as before.

Suggest that you do an image backup prior to running the upgrade, however I'd say confidence is high that your upgrade will go smoothly. I have a lot of development tools and other items on my machine and have run into surprisingly few issues as an upgrade. This time I didn't feel like doing a system rebuild as that often takes me several days to get everything settled down. So far no issues of significance.

I upgraded from Win7 Ultimate (64-bit) to Win8 Pro/64.

-Max

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17741-upgrade-win7-win8-keeping-user-data-programs-2nd-hdd.html
Relevancy 104.06%

Hello,

I just bought a new pc and there was something wrong with the hard-disc.
So I went to the shop and they fixed it.

It was a pc without windows installed and I have a win7 professional disc. In the store they installed win7 home-pre x64 to check if it all worked.

Now, I want my win7 pro installed, without losing the files and programmes which are on there already. (My brother installed everything without me knowing lol).

Anyway how do I do this? I know about the windows upgrade system but they keep talking about a "upgrade key"..... is an upgrade key the same as the serial code?

Im just looking for a way to get this done without having to make a backup etc.

Big thanks in advance!

A:Upgrade question: win7 home-pre to pro?

Take a look at this:
Windows Anytime Upgrade - Upgrade your Windows 7 edition - Microsoft Windows

No install files needed.
Only the Upgrade key is need.
Anytime upgrade only adds-on the Programs & Features from version to version.
Windows Anytime Upgrade - How to

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/195914-upgrade-question-win7-home-pre-pro.html
Relevancy 104.06%

About six months back I bought a laptop from Toshiba that came Premium RC upgrade the Win7 Home over with Vista on it The tech guy who was helping me get all set up said that as long as Win7 Home Premium upgrade over the RC I was making the learning curve from XP I really should go right to Win Win7 Home Premium upgrade over the RC Rick said he had a beta version and we could make the full switch to the full release when the free upgrade came out Sounded fine to me Well he disappeared to Colorado somewhere not long afterward never finishing a number of parts of the job and being completely unfindable But at least I had a nice PC to use for some things until this week when a warning came up saying the Windows Ultimate build had days left til it would expire Rick added a bunch of customizing to the laptop and I've done a bunch more in all this time it would be just HORRIBLE to lose it all if I had to reinstall everything on my laptop because of a new operating system installation What's more since the computer came with Vista on it already I'm not sure how I'd go about reinstalling Vista even if I had to Which I sure don't want to do So Is there a way to make the leap from Windows Ultimate build to any version of Win to resolve this problem without starting from scratch Ideally with a free upgrade or if absolutely necessary by buying something to do so Seems it should be free since I paid for the laptop with Vista on it If Rick's choice to put me on Windows Ultimate build was a big mistake how can I move forward from here when I didn't receive a Vista disk from Toshiba I do have one that Rick left behind that says Vista Enterprise on it but I'm not sure he pulled it off my system Please keep in mind in your response that I'm okay around a computer but NOT a tech guru Thanks

A:Win7 Home Premium upgrade over the RC

You do not have any disk(s) that came with you laptop??

Check to see at least if you have the recovery partition from Toshiba.. To do that you should have two drives.. C and D in the Hard drive area.Where D is usually named Recovery..

If you don't have a recovery partition, You will have to re-install Windows Vista..Do you have a key for the Vista Enterprise?? if you don't have the key for Vista it will only be active of 30 days..OR You can Buy Windows 7, But I am not sure if you can upgrade from RC to RTM (I think you can but it is not supported by Microsoft) I believe starting March 1st all Windows 7 RC versions will start shutting down every 2 hours Then eventually expire on June 1st 2010..

Hope this Helps...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/64518-win7-home-premium-upgrade-over-rc.html
Relevancy 104.06%

my laptop has win 7 home premium installed but not activated (need to get a new key).

Luckily i can get the $30 version from DR. but i want to get the professional version because it's the same price.

what's the best way to upgrade?

can i do windows anytime upgrade using the key that i will get from DR?

A:upgrade from win7 home premium to pro?

Quote: Originally Posted by acegolfer

my laptop has win 7 home premium installed but not activated (need to get a new key).

Luckily i can get the $30 version from DR. but i want to get the professional version because it's the same price.

what's the best way to upgrade?

can i do windows anytime upgrade using the key that i will get from DR?

Welcome to Seven Forums, acegolfer!

If you have Home Premium installed and get the Professional version, and the Professional key, you should be able to load in the Professional version and activate it with that key.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/34450-upgrade-win7-home-premium-pro.html
Relevancy 104.06%

Looking for info on how to upgrade from Win Home to Win Professional The info I could find related to this at Microsoft either did not apply or did not work Here s what I am trying to do to from Win7 Professional Home Upgrade My PC is a home build with Windows Home OEM I would like to upgrade to Windows Professional to have more control over user accounts and access to drives and programs I attempted to use Anytime Upgrade but received message that this wasn t available - reason was not clear All attempts to follow links to MS site resulted in options for upgrading to Windows I have not been able to find a way to purchase Home to Professional upgrade My question is which options do I have and which is the best easiest least expensive to use Purchase Win Professional OEM and do a clean install or upgrade Purchase Win Professional Retail Upgrade from Win7 Home to Professional and do a clean install or upgrade Would appreciate any Upgrade from Win7 Home to Professional help nbsp

A:Upgrade from Win7 Home to Professional

The Anytime Upgrade option would normally require you to purchase the 7 Pro upgrade (only or at a retailer) and then provide the product key from that package.

The 7Pro upgrade is becoming more difficult to find.

The OEM package is and will be available for quite some time, and *MAYBE* you can use it for an upgrade rather than a full clean reinstall. If it fails, you can always use the weekend to wipe-and-install it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-from-win7-home-to-professional.198939/
Relevancy 103.2%

With the deadline looming I was hoping I could purchase the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade and install it over the Windows 7 RC. Has anyone had success doing this?

A:Can I install Win7 Home Premium upgrade over the RC

Under the EULA you need to have a previous qualifying Vista or XP to use Win7 Upgrade version, although it doesn't have to be installed.

You can clean install the Upgrade over RC by booting the DVD. It will see an OS during bootup to allow Upgrade version key. If not, use one of the workarounds here: http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...he-answer.aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/64367-can-i-install-win7-home-premium-upgrade-over-rc.html
Relevancy 103.2%

hi,
i want to upgrade my hp dv2000 laptop from vista home edition (64bit) to win 7 and I have a question about the upgrade and I'd really appreciate a helping hand from someone who knows the answer.
the Q: can i do the upgrade using a win 7 ultimate full version? or do i have to use an upgrade version?
note. i don't want to use a clean instal because i don't want to lose my existing programs. Thanks!
Jay

A:upgrade from vista home edition to win7 using...

Hello jhamidi, welcome to Seven Forums!

You will find some answers at this tutorial at the link below and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

How to Do a Inplace Upgrade Installation from Vista to Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/169978-upgrade-vista-home-edition-win7-using.html
Relevancy 103.2%

i have a laptop that runs Vista Business edition,
I also have a Gateway desktop that runs Windows 7 home edition.
If I buy an upgrade CD to Windows 7 Professional, would i be able to upgrade both computers with this 1 upgrade CD?

thank you!

A:Windows 7 Upgrade...Both Vista & Win7 Home??

Quote: Originally Posted by ilcaa

i have a laptop that runs Vista Business edition,
I also have a Gateway desktop that runs Windows 7 home edition.

If I buy an upgrade CD to Windows 7 Professional, would i be able to upgrade both computers with this 1 upgrade CD?

thank you!

One license one PC.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/73177-windows-7-upgrade-both-vista-win7-home.html
Relevancy 103.2%

I presently have WinXP 32 Bit in my PC. In anticipation of MS non support in April, I am planning to upgrade to Win7 Home Edition 64 Bit of which I already have the licensed disk. According to Win7 Upgrade Advisor my PC is compatible with Win7. I have two drives, the primary has the WinXP while the secondary is almost empty. My question is: I would like to add an SSD drive and make that my primary drive and install Win7 in it. What happens to the existing drive with WinXP and all other programs and devices? Will I have to delete WinXP? I don't have any important programs that can't be reloaded.

A:Solved: Upgrade from WinXP to Win7 Home 64 Bit

If you have an "Upgrade" (discounted price) version of Windows 7 the license terms say you are not to continue using XP. If you have the full price version you are free to use both 7 and XP.

Unless you took advantage of the early big discount the Upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium probably cost in the vicinity of $100 and the full price about double that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-upgrade-from-winxp-to-win7-home-64-bit.1117374/
Relevancy 101.91%

My old computer has Windows xp home premium.

I bought the student upgrade to Win 7 Pro. I got the download and I paid for the DVD.

Shoud I wait for the DVD? Or will the download work okay? I don't care if it reformats my hard drive.

A:Win7 Professional Student upgrade from XP Home Premium?

Quote: Originally Posted by Hondajt

My old computer has Windows xp home premium.

I bought the student upgrade to Win 7 Pro. I got the download and I paid for the DVD.

Shoud I wait for the DVD? Or will the download work okay? I don't care if it reformats my hard drive.

So long as the download is on another partition you should be ok

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/32169-win7-professional-student-upgrade-xp-home-premium.html
Relevancy 101.91%

Hi guys,

My father has purchased a copy of Win 7 Pro 32 bit OEM.
He owns a copy of Vista Home Premium.

He wants to do an upgrade installation, but can't as Microsoft won't allow this. Assuming that a clean install is not an option, how can I upgrade him from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Pro.

If I borrow a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, can I do an upgrade without a CD-key, then after the upgrade is done use the Windows 7 Pro disk to upgrade that to Pro?

Any ideas? I can't return the disk and the idea of forking out more money for Ultimate just to avoid a clean install is not appealing.

Thanks

A:vista home premium to win7 pro. cant upgrade- any ideas?

you can only upgrade like for like as far as i know (home premium to home premium) so i think you will have to back up your pc and do a clean install. someone else might have a solution though.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-home-premium-to-win7-pro-cant-upgrade-any-ideas-437269.html
Relevancy 101.91%

is it in any way possible to:

1) install windows 7 RC as the home premium version (not ultimate). i heard you can edit some file to allow this.

2) when the retail version of windows 7 home premium upgrade comes out, use that to upgrade my RC installation AND KEEP MY INSTALLED PROGRAMS?

i heard you can do a custom install which makes a windows.old folder. i am looking to NOT do that.

thanks

A:install win7 RC as home premium and upgrade to retail

Interesting idea.

What scant info we have heard from MS indicates you can use RC as a qualifying installation for the purchased upgrade.

I suspect it would need to be an activated install to do that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/16957-install-win7-rc-home-premium-upgrade-retail.html
Relevancy 101.48%

I've researched for awhile now & can't seem to find which is the best way to add winxp functionality to my laptop. I have office xp professional, painter7 & photopaint8 software that worked fine on winxp 32 bit thru sp3.

New laptop is win7 home premium 64bit. Two 500gb hard drives.

Which is better- running the programs under win7 xp mode (ie upgrading to professional) OR installing winxp on the 2nd hard drive?

I am not a techie- but not totally pc ignorant. Any informed advice is truly appreciated.

eastender

A:dual boot win7 & winxp separate drives OR upgrade to win7 professional

Welcome to the forum,

Is your XP disc a retail disc?

Since you already have an XP disc, you could try out Windows Virtual PC Windows Virtual PC - Create Virtual Machine

You don't need to upgrade for that so it's free to try and you don't have to dual boot either.

There are other options too which I'm sure others can suggest.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/177985-dual-boot-win7-winxp-separate-drives-upgrade-win7-professional.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I have a PC running Windows XP and a laptop running Vista Home Basic x86. I finally decided to try Windows 7 Home Premium x64 using an upgrade license, which I already purchased. My present PC is running XP and is not capable of 64 bit. My plan was to install 100% new components in my old PC, more compatible with the 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, then upgrade to the Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit version.

BTW, the new components are: PSU, MB and dual core 64 bit capable CPU, 8 GB of DDR3 1333 RAM, and a 1 TB WD Green SATA II drive.

Is there anything I should look out for, before implementing this plan.

A:Upgrading PC running XP before installing upgrade to Win7 Home Premium

Why dual core

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/279426-upgrading-pc-running-xp-before-installing-upgrade-win7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Trying to clean install from Vista 32bit to Win7 64bit both Home Premium. I put the Win 7 DVD in the tray, shut down the computer, restarted with hard button and nothing happened. It rebooted into Vista. Opened DVD drive and double clicked on setup.exe and got the following message "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher."
How do I get Windows 7 to install?

A:Trying to upgrade from Vista 32bit to Win7 64bit both Home Premium

You'll need to select the DVD drive as the boot option in BIOS. Read through Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/370909-trying-upgrade-vista-32bit-win7-64bit-both-home-premium.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hello I have purchased and downloaded both bit and bit Windows Professional no CDs or media here only download version I sucessfully upgraded from Vista to Win Then I upgrade (32bit) error Win7 Win7 (64bit) to install upgraded my hard disk Gb GB and RAM GB to to GB Now I would like to go from Win bit to bit When I try and run the Win -P-retail-en-us x exe file it upacks the box then stops with this error quot We are unable to create or save files in the folder in which this application was downloaded Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write flies and that that folder is not read only quot I am the System Admin and I have full rights and have moved the exe and the setup box files to My Documentsand I have modified the directory properties attributes but I still get the same error over and over I searched the posts and some people stated one needs a clean install others say you can upgrade from any version so I am trying the upgrade here especially since the upgrade from Vista to Win was smooth and did require all the extra work of a reinstall Can someone help me here Thanks

A:Win7 (32bit) to Win7 (64bit) upgrade install error

I believe to go from 32-bit to 64-bit, you will have to boot off the DVD. The installer is a 64 bit application that won't run under 32-bit. Find instructions to create a DVD if you don't already have it.

Good luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/36858-win7-32bit-win7-64bit-upgrade-install-error.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi I purchased a windows vista-windows upgrade for from a student deal here in canada The method of installation was a simple exe file which ran a sort of setup which automatically upgraded to windows Now I have win professional bit on my PC and I just bought a new solid state drive I want to move the installation to the SDD So here's the problem New Version Win7 Move Win7 to Upgrade Drive Without DVD Installation I don't have a windows installation DVD so Move Win7 Upgrade Version to New Drive Without Win7 Installation DVD I can't exactly use the steps described in the tutorial for reinstalling a windows upgrade I do have a valid upgrade version Product Key so what I would like to know is whether or not it would work to clone my current install to my SDD My SDD only has GB of space so I would have to basically delete everything but I don't care about that Alternatively is it illegal to download an image of a win installation DVD and use my valid Product Key Theoretically the product key would work right I make this assumption based on the sticky about re-installing win upgrade versions Or would my key only work with a win install dvd that it was intended for I don't have one so that wouldn't really work I just don't have a clue what to do here because I don't think I can get another copy of that EXE that I used to upgrade It says on their website that you can only re-download days from your date of purchase Am I totally stuck I am completely welcome to any suggestions because I really hope that I didn't just waste on an SSD because I definitely don't want to buy windows again Thank you so much to everyone who takes the time to try to help me with this

A:Move Win7 Upgrade Version to New Drive Without Win7 Installation DVD

I dont know whether your student deal is the same as the Digitalriver student upgrade deal that used to be available for $29.99. The iso's for those are available, download them only if you have a genuine upgrade key.

MS/Digital River Student ISO Links

Also see this thread.

Cloning Win7 to SSD

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95733-move-win7-upgrade-version-new-drive-without-win7-installation-dvd.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Hey, I currently have Windows 7 Build 7264 64-bit, and I have a lot of apps installed. I don't want to lose them, so I want to upgrade. Can I do this with my specs? (64 bit, 7264) Upgrade to 7600 RTM.

If I can't, how can I keep my apps through a clean install?

A:Upgrade (not clean install) from Win7 7264 to Win7 RTM?

should be able to upgrade...
but if you cant upgrade, you can always use windows easy transfer? or something ( I never used it b4)
Clean installation is ALWAYS the best. Upgrading causes a lot of errors.
Also, just ot let you know, windows 7 7600 is MUCH more stable than any earlier windwos 7 builds (explorer and ie stop crashing0!!!)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/19956-upgrade-not-clean-install-win7-7264-win7-rtm.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi,
I'm presently running Win7 Pro 32bit on an Intel Core2Duo 2.4Ghz 775 socket.

I've just purchased a i5 760 processor, an Intel H55 chipset Mobo, and 8GB of ram.

My copy of Win7 Pro 32bit was acquired through the college I was attending.
I have the installation disk and the license number.

When I reinstall Win7 Pro on my new set up, what do I need to do to make it a 64bit install?

I plan to use to the same installation disk and license number.

thanks
Mitch

A:upgrade from win7 pro 32bit to win7 pro 64bit with same licence

You will need the 64-bit DVD for a clean install
Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/133709-upgrade-win7-pro-32bit-win7-pro-64bit-same-licence.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Alright I'll divide this into issues. upgrade: premium, speed Post Win7 Home Extreme sections and explain everything I've Post upgrade: Win7 Home premium, Extreme speed issues. been dealing with and done in the last few days To be blunt I'm out of ideas and I need help Section pre upgrade Pc stats Intel DBX BT motherboard Intel core quad Q processor Nvidia gt gb of OCZ ram x gb RPm SATA Western Digital drives Post upgrade: Win7 Home premium, Extreme speed issues. Liteon dvdrw drive Windows xp pro -------- Im a gamer and my pc was optimized to do so circa years ago I could easily run even current gen games like Tera on medium settings alt tab and have a web browser and internet radio going with no issues Cpu usage I never remember seeing above ever Being honest this was the rd pc Ive built and I was pretty confident about my computer knowledge to do this myself I bought on newegg Nvidia gtx gb of Corsair vengeance RAM and win home premium about a week ago and this is where the problems started -------- Section -- The upgrade itself The physical installation of the new graphics card and all of the corsair RAM dimms went without a hitch I did have a RAM POST error but simply reseated the dimms and windows booted perfectly So I went into XP updated my drivers for the graphics card temporarily and began backing up my critical data About an hour later I restarted and went into my BIOS to reconfigure for Win installation I accidentally disabled USB on boot though I dont remember doing this as well as the expected switching of boot order Dropped the win dvd into my DVD drive and verified it was set to master on the jumper IDE DVD drive saved and rebooted naturally I couldnt start the boot from dvd drive with no keyboard because I had disabled the USB no ps port on this board so I set about flashing the bios which I had never done on this board I removed power and the cmos battery waited mins pressed the power button to clear any extra power reseated everything and booted up no numlock light on keyboard it was still disabled I tried this more times before reading online that this board has a jumper made for this exact situation set the boards jumper to configure and got into bios just fine set it to boot to dvd drive and tried again nothing Section -- Win installation went all the way into windows and the DVD drive was showing nothing was in it physically the disc looked fine so i went to my fathers house and tested it in his pc and it worked just fine days later I had a SATA dvd drive i borrowed from a friend and managed to get Win to install during win installation Iclicked the quot format quot button thing but I dont remember it actually taking any time I deleted the old partitions and remade them into the recommended ones win newbie Windows comes online and as soon as the desktop hits im pushing cpu usage so I let it go for hours thinking it may just need to run its course pc has no internet connection right now I come back to it and its still idleing around cpu but I tried to install the Nvidia drivers only to have it lock up on me with a glaring Not Responding quote so I rebooted and gave it an internet connection to register the windows and let it update completely computer remains almost completely unusable as im typing this it is taking literally seconds for the typed digits to appear current pc stats with ONLY IE working are CPU at Ram gb cpu spiking to the s ------- Section -- Already attempted fixes I ran malware bytes and AVG niether found anything I gave the dvd drive back so I have no cd dvd drives to work with I do have a USB pen drive Ive tried each RAM stick individually and none post error Ive gotten up to date Bios installed and have all drivers that are recent Edit Attempt update I optimized windows transparency is off as well as several other thinkgs like gadgets and printer services still almost no change to cpu stats I thought i did everything right please help

A:Post upgrade: Win7 Home premium, Extreme speed issues.

Forget it, Im an idiot apparently. It seems I must have bought incompatible RAM with my motherboard / processor. My board supports 1st gen GDDR3 but i guess these cards are a bit faster than its capable of supporting, and Im unaware of a way to downclock them to supported speeds

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/231836-post-upgrade-win7-home-premium-extreme-speed-issues.html
Relevancy 98.04%

I am trying to upgrade from Win bit to Win bit A tech instalked a new HDD for me and put Win bit on it I have another drive that has Win bit on it that I would like to put Win bit on I have the new bit Win7 win7 from upgrade 64bit 32bit to cd and can read directions I just have no directions to tell me how to do it The HDD I want to install on has been formatted Win bit however there is nothing on it of value now so I am ready to do this thing I have read the directions on how to do a clean install but have no way to know if this would be classed as a clean install I may not be the brightest bulb upgrade from win7 32bit to Win7 64bit on the tree but I am very careful It's been a few years since I've had the hood up on a computer but I do know my way around inside even know what some of those things are in upgrade from win7 32bit to Win7 64bit there If there is some one out there that can set me on the right road to do this thing I will certainly appreciate it Thanks DonS

A:upgrade from win7 32bit to Win7 64bit

Hello Don, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Is this going to be installed in another computer, or are you having both hard drives in your current computer to dual boot?

Do you have separate product key number for the second installation?

If it's going to be installed on a separate computer and you have a second key to activate with, then yeah you could do a clean install with it like in the tutorial below.

Clean Install Windows 7

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/327289-upgrade-win7-32bit-win7-64bit.html
Relevancy 98.04%

is it possible? any guides here?

i have a new acer aspire one D250 netbook. it's OS is win7 starter. i want to upgrade it to win7 ultimate.

will my new OS (if ever) be still genuine/licensed?

A:upgrade win7 starter to win7 ultimate

Do have enough RAM? A lot of the netbooks only have 1GB of RAM and for most versions of Win 7, 2GB is MINIMUM.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/115212-upgrade-win7-starter-win7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 98.04%

nbsp nbsp Quote Originally Posted by Brink I'm sorry but you will not be able to do a repair install unless it's done from within Windows Hi Brink -- I have lurked here for some time and oftentimes find some really useful information You have given quite a lot to this community Good job I too have a similar problem which was caused by Paragon-Software's Partition Manager The back story is that while launching the app for a totally different reason which that app could not accomplish I noticed defrag MFT and compress MFT options which as per the software improves NTFS performance Since I have quite a few internal and external drives I started with the external ones The routines worked flawlessly and very quickly seconds Next I had the app do all internal drives except my boot system drive C and the D drive It needed to reboot to accomplish these and I agreed Upon booting the app displayed four processes no detail as Win7 Think Win7 Microsoft's Upgrade Boot Outside to and DVD to Box-How to drive letters or whether the current process was defrag or compress and as they were completed a checkmark appeared First two were quick the third took a little longer maybe seconds and the last sat there for about a half hour I thought it was time to reset Oops I can no longer boot to the system in any Windows mode After the PC does its BIOS checks etc the system looks like it is Think Outside Microsoft's Box-How to Boot Win7 DVD and Upgrade to Win7 proceeding I notice quot bluish lines about a couple mm thick running across the very topmost part of my screen the colors of Paragon's software with a BSOD soon to follow Having solved many such problems over the last years I have quite a bag of tricks including the latest Dart beta which adds quite a few more options to the recover repair screen most are familiar with from the Win DVD's repair screen along with many Linux-based CDs and other recovery CDs Yes Think Outside Microsoft's Box-How to Boot Win7 DVD and Upgrade to Win7 I have checked each of the drives using the latest version of TestDisk from CGSecurity and quot chkdsk b quot to be thorough and the drives are just fine They all failed to resolve the boot issue Now there is a solution but I lack the Think Outside Microsoft's Box-How to Boot Win7 DVD and Upgrade to Win7 details When you boot the Windows DVD and choose install upgrade that routine checks the system boot drive and makes its decision to proceed based upon what it sees or does so even earlier in the process This determines whether you can do an upgrade from the booted Windows DVD think in-place upgrade or the newer phrased repair installation If we can discover what it is looking to find be it file folder or registry entry that would permit it to do an in-place repair installation we could address those findings and we would be home free Think outside Microsoft's mantra as to how or from where the repair installation needs to take place since it is based solely upon what they support not what can be accomplished I am not interested in what Microsoft supports If it will resolve the issue support is not needed Are you or anyone else up to the challenge

A:Think Outside Microsoft's Box-How to Boot Win7 DVD and Upgrade to Win7

Hello Mark, welcome to SF... I see you addressed brink here... not sure if that is what you wanted but if you want to ask him to look, PM him...

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/174339-think-outside-microsofts-box-how-boot-win7-dvd-upgrade-win7.html
Relevancy 98.04%

Hello everybody,
please help to upgrade my win7 starter to higher win7 with upgrade key and all.

bye

A:upgrade from win7 starter to higher win7

Windows Anytime Upgrade - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/244326-upgrade-win7-starter-higher-win7.html
Relevancy 97.61%

To avoid the Student Win 7 hassle (upgrading Vista 32 to Win 7 Pro 64 bit ISO burn, etc), can I simply use the Home Prem 32 Upgrade (for my other computer) arriving this afternoon with my 64bit Pro upgrade key & end up with the 64bit Pro installation?

Thanks.

A:Win7 Pro 64bit Upgrade Key w/ Prem 32bit Upgrade Disk

No... you can only update to the same version that you have installed... Home to Home... etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30556-win7-pro-64bit-upgrade-key-w-prem-32bit-upgrade-disk.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Hi y'all my first post here I'm a novice - can get Win8 to Premium from Home Win7 Downgrading into trouble without getting out The lovely wife had an old Dell machine that came with WinXP We bought an upgrade pack at retail to upgrade from Downgrading from Win8 to Win7 Home Premium XP to Windows Home Premium Lovely wife has a new machine with Windows We want to downgrade back to Windows Home Premium using that same Downgrading from Win8 to Win7 Home Premium retail software we bought last year A call to Microsoft reveals that yes the upgrade software can be used for the downgrade sanity check - are they right but that the product key can be used on only one machine at one time The Microsoft support was trying to get me to buy an additional Windows product key but I think I can transfer it from one machine to the other My main questions are around order of operations I found this forum on how to release the product key on the presently-installed environment Product Key Number - Uninstall and Deactivate in Windows Question Will that contact the Microsoft activation server so that I can then re-use the product key Question Will releasing the product key on the old machine immediately render the OS inoperable The hoped-for order of operations would be this can I do it Install Windows on new machine Release product key on old machine Activate product key on new machine Transfer old files pictures documents music etc from old machine to new But if releasing the product key will render the old OS inoperable we'll have to do it in a different order Thanks for your time and help walking me through the best way to do this KB

A:Downgrading from Win8 to Win7 Home Premium

Quote:
We bought an upgrade pack at retail to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 Home Premium.

Can only be used as a Upgrade, from Win XP or Vista.

Quote:
The Microsoft support was trying to get me to buy an additional Windows 7 product key,

YES, you need buy the Full Product key version.

Quote:
We want to downgrade back to Windows 7

YES & NO, down to your UEFI/BIOS firmware setting.

As this a OEM manufacturer's PC with Pre-installed Windows 8.

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/322104-downgrading-win8-win7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 92.88%

I have a Windows computer with Lotus on it and I need to transfer Lotus and all it s files and emails and the encryption key to the Windows computer I do not think that Windows will recognize Lotus so I had the idea to partition the Windows computer and install Windows on one of the partitions thus making it a dual boot computer then install Lotus to the Windows partition My Win8 Boot Software a Dual To 8.5-How from Win7 Computer to Win7 on Transfer Win8Lotus problem is Windows is already installed on the computer and Windows website warns not to install the Dual Boot Win7 on a Win8Lotus 8.5-How To Transfer Software from Win7 to Win8 Computer older operating system second Windows website warns quot You must install Dual Boot Win7 on a Win8Lotus 8.5-How To Transfer Software from Win7 to Win8 Computer the older operating system first and then install the more recent operating system If you don t for example if you install Windows Vista on a computer already running Windows you can render your system inoperable This can happen because earlier versions of Windows don t recognize the startup files used in more recent versions of Windows and can overwrite them quot What should I do I have found some information on installing Windows as a second operating system on a Windows computer thus creating a Dual Boot computer and giving you the best of both worlds and full app compatibility as some of your Windows applications may not be supported in a Windows environment Thank you nbsp

A:Dual Boot Win7 on a Win8Lotus 8.5-How To Transfer Software from Win7 to Win8 Computer

you question is mainly about how to setup a dual boot on windows 8 PC

do you have an installation CD for windows 8 and for windows 7 ?

i will move to windows 8 forum and need to change the title a bit

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-win7-on-a-win8lotus-8-5-how-to-transfer-software-from-win7-to-win8-computer.1116460/
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi everyone.
Ok after growing tired of seeing my 2012 laptop run faster on windows 7 than my 2015 lenovo, i decided to install windows 7 on it as well.
After solving enough problems (burned a dvd since the usb port was not recognized by the windows installer once it started running, changed some stuff in the bios from Win8-ideal to Win7-ideal to get the installer to load in the first place, tried 3 different versions of win7 because one never went above 0% progress).
When i was finally able to install windows in a partition (im keeping half of my drive available for installing Ubuntu in the future), I got it to load and the computer reboots. Haven't tried safemode yet (this was yesterday at midnight).
Has anybody come across this problem? What can i do? I'll provide whatever specific details im asked. Thanks in advance!

A:Bought a computer with Win8, installed Win7, now reboots when Win7 Loads

Can you get to the Windows desktop?If so: Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.NOTE:Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. .ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.Report Set #2)  Please do the following:- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."- save the file as Admin.evtx- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below:1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFanNaming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/625237/bought-a-computer-with-win8-installed-win7-now-reboots-when-win7-loads/
Relevancy 92.45%

I am trying to share my DVD drive on my desktop running Win so I can access it on my Notebook running Win Pro so that I can load some software on the notebook from a DVD The instructions seem to be clear - set up the share & Win8 Home problem sharing Win7 network on the PC with quot Properties gt Advanced Sharing etc quot then map to it from the Notebook Home network sharing problem Win7 & Win8 and I have followed these instruction carefully But when I get to mapping to the shared drive I have tried using both the PC name amp its IP address ie DVDrive or Toshi DVDrive it goes looking but always comes back with quot Windows cannot access lt either if those names gt Check the spelling of the name Otherwise there could be a problem with your network Error code x quot Both machines and the WiFi network seem to work well in all other respects Both machines belong to the same workgroup WORKGROUP the workgroup password is the same on both machines I have also tried sharing a simple folder and get the same problem I must be doing something wrong or missing an important step HELP MUCH APPRECIATED nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-sharing-problem-win7-win8.1164349/
Relevancy 91.16%

Is it possible to upgrade in place from win7 32bit to win7 64bit.

Is it better to do a clean new 64bit install?

thank-you!

A:upgrade win7 32bit to win7 64bit "in place" ?

A fresh install is your only option

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/32850-upgrade-win7-32bit-win7-64bit-place.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Using Media Creation Tool?

i see these articals talking about hackers getting genuine Win10pro from their pirated windows, and i have genuine win8.1 and I've been wondering.

A:Can i upgrade to Win 10 pro from my Win8.1 home?

Yes, you can upgrade with the tool, it explains that here in step three,

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

Don't believe everything you read about pirated versions getting genuine W10, it ain't happening.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69342-can-i-upgrade-win-10-pro-my-win8-1-home.html
Relevancy 89.01%

can i somehow use my vista disc at some point to allow the win7 retail install to upgrade the win7 RC AND NOT HAVE TO REINSTALL MY PROGRAMS?

i currently have vista 32 bit home premium. i have the install discs for it too.

i want to create another partition and put win7 RC 64 bit on it (dual boot).

i have win7 home premium preordered.

i want to upgrade win7 RC to the retail when it comes out, WITHOUT REINSTALLING MY PROGRAMS.

i read the win7 retail discs will allow you to upgrade the win7 RC, but you will have to reinstall programs.

i am wondering if using the vista disc will allow me to upgrade and keep my programs.

thank you!

A:vista + win7 retail discs to upgrade win7 RC to retail

Plenty of threads to choose from on that info, why don't you try this one.New Info release from MS on UPGRADE or for other info Windows 7 Upgrade Guide: All Your Questions Answered

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/16153-vista-win7-retail-discs-upgrade-win7-rc-retail.html
Relevancy 86.86%

--edit see my second post This is supposed to be easy OK first I have a desktop win pro I never thought I'd own a laptop need networks so I might have disabled something at some point I've disabled everything I don't need for performance reasons - game graphics rig It has ethernet connections is to modem is open I recently bought a laptop win home pro prem desktop/win7 home issues network home win7 premium So time for file sharing Bought a crossover network cable Trying to set up a home network Works on the laptop but going through all the troubleshooters and all I get on the PC is 'cannot add home network to this computer' I can see and get into my PC from the laptop but the PC won't register a network OR my laptop I win7 home prem desktop/win7 pro home network issues actually want the opposite as it's easier to use the PC for transfers work etc None of the troubleshooting in Win Pro PC is working any ideas I've set both clocks to internet time I have everything open to file sharing on both machines edit I did just notice that when I turn on file and printer sharing in network amp sharing advanced settings and hit save changes everytime I reopen the window it's set back to off Doesn't matter how many times i turn it on and save it always gets turned off again

A:win7 home prem desktop/win7 pro home network issues

Quote: Originally Posted by Baddcog

This is supposed to be easy?

OK, first I have a desktop, win 7 pro 64. I never thought I'd own a laptop, need networks so I might have disabled something at some point.
(I've disabled everything I don't need for performance reasons - game/graphics rig)

It has 2 ethernet connections. 1 is to modem. 2 is open.

I recently bought a laptop, win 7 home premium 64.

So time for file sharing. Bought a crossover network cable.

Trying to set up a home network. Works on the laptop, but going through all the troubleshooters and all I get on the PC is 'cannot add home network to this computer'.

I can see and get into my PC from the laptop, but the PC won't register a network OR my laptop. (I actually want the opposite as it's easier to use the PC for transfers/work/etc...)

None of the troubleshooting in Win7Pro PC is working, any ideas?

(I've set both clocks to internet time, I have everything open to file sharing on both machines)

==edit

I did just notice that when I turn on file and printer sharing in network & sharing/advanced settings and hit save changes,

everytime I reopen the window it's set back to off. Doesn't matter how many times i turn it on and save, it always gets turned off again.

The problem is in bold. Once you disable those services all bets are off on the network sharing being functional until all your required networking services are all enabled and set to automatic.

You shot yourself in the foot by doing that and disabling those services doesn't do much to improve system performance.

The reason that file and printer sharing isn't staying on is because you disabled the service it requires.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/125403-win7-home-prem-desktop-win7-pro-home-network-issues.html
Relevancy 86%

I have a Dell Dimension PC Yes it's old a PC but rock solid I've been running WinXP and it has behaved very stable very rarely did I cope with a BSOD in very particular instances like a bad sector in the HD only once in years or a corrupt printer driver The PC has GB RDRAM and a P Ghz HT CPU For the sake to I upgrade Win7? Should of curiosity I tested Win installing it in a separate drive It boots shutdowns much faster than XP and the feel is real smooth I feel it opens programs faster Except for the sound Should I upgrade to Win7? card that has no Win driver Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz all of the PC's internal hardware is Win compatible I rarely use the sound card though as I use a Plantronics USB headset most of the time and it's Win compatible I also have an old HP printer and scanner that lack Win drivers I can handle these non Win devices by creating a dual boot XP system Should I upgrade to Win7? The question is is it worth it Will Win offer Should I upgrade to Win7? advantages on this platform to justify the shift from XP Thanks

A:Should I upgrade to Win7?

I would say yes, it isnt as bad as vista or xp... it has more features leaving it faster and more reliable then most others.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/77236-should-i-upgrade-win7.html
Relevancy 86%

Hi
what would be the best way to do this ?
I'm getting a new pc that comes with an oem of win7 home but I have win7 pro on disc that is not oem I obviously want win 7 pro on rather than the oem what is the best way to go about, as its a new pc as soon as it boots i will have to create accounts etc which i dont want to do as i'll be using easy transfer. should i just set everything with the home edition then use my win 7 pro disc to upgrade or is there a better way. not sure what new bios will be like to make it boot from the dvd drive

A:upgrade of win7

You'll void the warranty if you change the OEM OS and you'll loose the OEM supplied applications.
Are you sure you want to do this .. And what will pro give you that the OEM doesn't have ??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrade-of-win7.1038131/
Relevancy 86%

Seems like I have a strange situation Bought a new computer GB DDR GB HD Core i Installed XP Pro on active partition GB Restored XP and files programs from the Windows backup utility All good everything works Insert Win Pro upgrade disk legally purchased from Microsoft Starts install copying temporary files Error message Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary installation files To install Windows make sure that a partition on your boot disk has at least megabytes of free space - error code x Boot disk C has over GB free space If I try to boot from the Win CD to do a clean install I get an error Upgrade to Pro Can't XP Pro Win7 from message that it is an upgrade version and must be started from within Windows Have reformatted hard drive and gone through it Can't Upgrade from XP Pro to Win7 Pro all again but same result Be grateful if anyone has some suggestions I spent best part of an hour searching old posts and couldn t find anything quite like this Can't Upgrade from XP Pro to Win7 Pro nbsp

Relevancy 86%

When I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 will I need to download a fresh set of drivers for my hardware? If so how can I find out which ones I'll need as the Acer site (I'm on a Aspire 7720G laptop) lists lots of drivers for the same kind of device. Also as I'll be doing a clean install I will lose all the Acer tools, but will I be able to get eAudio management back? It's the only one I use as the default speaker settings suck and I don't know how to change it permanently. If I can't get it can anyone recommend a program that does the same job as it? (change the way the speaker works for like movies, rock, classical etc).

Relevancy 86%

I had vista ultimate crash totally I had some external backup Everything I tried lost some control After days and lots of advice I used my WinVista disk and reformatted the system and reinstalled everything I could I decided to upgrade to Win Ultimate I have two GB HD s showing GB total and GB in use Also my system is very slow and jerky now I suspect some of the original data is still aboard and taking up space When I upgrade I plan to reformat the disks again 64 win7 upgrade and reinstall WinVista then upgrade from there and then reinstall win7 64 upgrade files from my ext backup drive I d like to do this right First any suggestions about what I ve done or intend to do Second I have an IOLO Drive Scribber that I used when installing winxp on a previously used HD Did the complete scrub and seemed to regain most of the GB on it Everything works fine Now any recommendations about getting a very clean scrub and reformat job on the two GB HD s using the Iolo Scrubber Or some other method for reclaiming the two HD s

A:win7 64 upgrade

I'm not familiar with IOLO, but am with Darik'c Boot and Nook and DriveWipe. Both will completely overwrite the hdd leaving you with a fresh start. Unless there is damage to the hdd you should recover the original capacity of the hdd.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/362031/win7-64-upgrade/
Relevancy 86%

I have an Inspiron PC with, of course, Dell's OEM version of Vista OS as a reinstallation CD. Can I upgrade to Win7 on this PC, or does it require Microsoft's retail version of Vista to upgrade? It's my wife's PC, and if I mess it up this is what will happen to me (see attachment):

A:Win7 upgrade

and welcome to the Forum

You should be able to use a upgrade version to install win 7 . . a custom install is reccomended so that you have a cleaner system than if you install it on top of Vista. You will have to reinstall the applications if you do the custom install

Have you run the win 7 upgrade advisor?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/win7-upgrade-456171.html
Relevancy 86%

I bought a windows disk today and i have a Studio XPS which has g ram and an i I have a CD-DVD drive that works well because its recognizing every other disk i have For some reason however when i put my win bit upgrade DVD in it loads for a minute then pops out saying win7 upgrade help... please insert a DVD into the drive i need to upgrade for school because i need time to put all my programs back on it is reading every other DVD and i don t know what to do I am running vista right now and win7 upgrade help... i have gone through upgrade adviser and also tried booting my system from the disk which results in a no medium error Please help me i consider myself decent with computers but this has me stumped The thing is its not a faulty disk because when i put it win7 upgrade help... into my mac it read all my files I tried copied the files and put them onto a blank DVD that my computer win7 upgrade help... read however it didn t read the disk once the files were on it Please help i am sorry for the long question but this is really making me wonder what the hell is going on nbsp

A:win7 upgrade help...

Can you boot from other CD/DVDs?
Try this disk in another Windows machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win7-upgrade-help.944815/
Relevancy 86%

I have win7 Home Premiume 64Bit and I just got Win7 PRO. 64Bit on Disc with Key.

I know I can put the Win7 PRO. Disc in and on the screen click on Upgrade.

But will this wipe all my programs out I have?
And any Folders I have on my Desktop and my Folders on my Limited Account Desktop will they be wiped out?

A:win7 upgrade

Hi biferibiferi Usually, since you only upgrade from one edition of Windows to another, and not a version to another, you should have an option to keep all your files and programs. Upgrading editions simply unlocks new features in Windows and doesn't really reinstall it since there's no need for that. The upgrade takes around 10 minutes to complete. Here's a tutorial on SevenForums showing you how to proceed.http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/95744-windows-anytime-upgrade-how.htmlIf you have any questions, let me know.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/574330/win7-upgrade/
Relevancy 86%

Hi folks,
I am currently runnung XP sp3 32bit on my putey. Had a naughty little trojan screw with my system so now I have 2 reinstall my OS. Have been thinking for a while about going 64 bit - my hardware can handle it. So, since I have 2 do a reinstall I thought that now would be a good time 2 do it. My question is - Is it worth going 2 Win7 64bit? Shoud I embrace it or avoid it?

A:Upgrade 2 Win7 64?

This MS tool may help you to decide.Have not had much time to play with Win7 myself. When I have it has been only 32 bit. No tweaks no additional programs installed.64 bit does seem to be the future. How fast the other software\program writers catch up is the question.MS does offer basically an XP VM = Virtual Machine to run non-compatible programs in. Do not know how well it works or if it is available in 64 bit either.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/271518/upgrade-2-win7-64/
Relevancy 86%

Question my notebook is running win -Home Premium edition It has GB HDD free and GB Memory free Now Im happy with Home Premium but I also thought home premium was the top win out but i noticed when i looked at my Upgrade Win7 system that i Win7 Upgrade can upgrade to buisness or even Ultimate Question is would I benefit from upgrading to ultimate and if i do can i directly jump from Home to ultimate or do i have to step it up to ultimate But from what Win7 Upgrade i noticed the only benefit of having ultimate is switching back and forth to XP if you even wanna call that a benefit Also if i upgrade how do i do it just input the cd key that I should recieve when I buy the upgrade or do i have to wipe the laptop out completely and do a fresh install If I have to do a fresh install ill have to ask how do I do that as well Basically I just need a little feedback from anyone who has Home and ultimate because in the end I will base my decision off that

A:Win7 Upgrade

Top of the line is now always the best for all users. Here is a comparison chart of features

Windows Vista: Compare editions

Most members agree that Home Premium is the best for the average users. If any of the features listed in Ultimate is needed by you, that would be the best choice.

It is generally agreed that if you do not need the encrytption feature Home Premium is the way to go.

I use HP and am very satisfiedl

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/84882-win7-upgrade.html
Relevancy 86%

I bought a windows disk today and i have help... upgrade win7 a Studio XPS which has g ram and an i I have a CD-DVD drive that works well because its recognizing every other disk i have For some reason however when i put win7 upgrade help... my win bit upgrade DVD in it loads for a minute then pops out saying please insert a DVD into the drive i need to upgrade for school because i need time to put all my programs back on it is reading every other DVD and i win7 upgrade help... don t know what to do I am running vista right now and i have gone through upgrade adviser and also tried booting my system from the disk which results in a no medium error Please help me i consider myself decent with computers but this has me stumped The thing is its not a win7 upgrade help... faulty disk because when i put it into my mac it read all my files I tried copied the files and put them onto a blank DVD that my computer read however it didn t read the disk once the files were on it Please help i am sorry for the long question but this is really making me wonder what the hell is going on nbsp

A:win7 upgrade help...

closing this duplicate post - please do not duplicate posts in the forum it gets confusing and difficult to follow when people are answering different posts with different advice
continue here http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/944815-win7-upgrade-help.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win7-upgrade-help.944814/
Relevancy 86%

I have a desktop w/ Win7 (OEM ver.) and a Win8.1 lappy. I've already rx'd the DL for the desktop upgrade, and assume I'll get the lappy DL within a few days.

I have 2 questions:

1. If I perform the upgrades, will they be truly free ? Or will I start getting dinged for money a year down the road (the threat being MS will cripple my OS if I don't pay)??

2. In the event of a system crash requiring complete reload, can I DL from somewhere an OEM Win10 version in an .iso format??

Thanks for any advice!

A:Win 10 upgrade frm Win7

Hi ElfBane 1. If I perform the upgrades, will they be truly free ? Or will I start getting dinged for money a year down the road (the threat being MS will cripple my OS if I don't pay)??Yes. Upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update to Windows 10 in the first year of Windows 10 release will grant you the OS for free for the supported lifetime of the device.2. In the event of a system crash requiring complete reload, can I DL from somewhere an OEM Win10 version in an .iso format??You can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsoft website at the link below.https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584460/win-10-upgrade-frm-win7/
Relevancy 86%

Good Morning,

I built my desktop 4 years ago and installed the 32 bit version of Windows (System builder).  I'm thinking of upgrading to the 64 bit of 7 and understand it would be a clean install.  I'm seeing a whole host of price variations for the 64 Bit software.   Some of the cheapest software ($60 versus $120) is what they are calling "for refurbished PC installation". 

My question is, why so cheap?  I'm assuming it is because it will use my current license key from the 32 bit installation (treating it like an upgrade)?
Also, since I originally built it with the "32 bit System Builder", is there any restrictions on that original license key which won't allow for the 64 bit installation?

Just "kicking the tires" for some gotchas before I take any action....

Thanks for the help...

A:Upgrade Win7 from 32 to 64 bit

Galad - the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) will work for either 32 or 64-bit, same as Vista. XP had different COAs, specific to 64-bit.

All you need is a 64-bit ISO for whatever version you have: Home, Pro etc. If you can't find it for download, buy a Dell/HP/MS 64-bit SP1 DVD on Ebay. Your sticker will work fine, but may require a phone call for activation.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603954/upgrade-win7-from-32-to-64-bit/
Relevancy 86%

hey there,

would i be able to install win7 x64 on an unactivated (!!!) xp/vista? i found an awesome site (totally legal) which sells cheap student w7's but they sell only upgrades.

thanks,

DD

PS: the harddrive i plan on using is empty and i would throw xp or vista on for like 5 minutes (and not activate it) and then immediately upgrade to w7

A:win7 upgrade

Its a breach of the EULA to use the upgrade license unless one possesses a valid, qualifying base license such as XP/vista.

Also, before plunging into that buy, make sure its a reputable seller, lots of scams going around.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/158217-win7-upgrade.html
Relevancy 86%

ive had it for 2 moths now but havent been able to make up my mind if i should install it so ive come here for advice 1st of all what im running

amd4600+am2 dualcore
am2 mobo with 2gigddr2
soundblaster xfi sound card
nvidia 7800gt 256m graphics card

my main focus is gaming,music,movies and general productivity, il give any additional info if requested and any advice is welcome

A:Should i upgrade to win7?

This will give you the best answer possible.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

But I personally don't think you will have any major issues running it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/should-i-upgrade-to-win7-477303.html
Relevancy 86%

Is Windows 7 Home Premium upgradable to Windows 8 with same license key of Windows 7.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1ca22572-604a-432e-bce7-4532fe6650d3/win7-upgrade?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 86%

Hi, I have a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate x32. I like to play lots of games, the problem is I have a x32 OS. Is there any way to upgrade to x64 for free?

A:Upgrade from Win7 x32 to x64

There is no way to upgrade from 32bit to 64Bit, Period

You must re-install with a valid Key

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/394431-upgrade-win7-x32-x64.html
Relevancy 86%

help please
I have win xp 32 and bought a win 7 64 upgrade dvd

when I put it into my dvd drive it doesn't do anything I tried running the bios and putting the dvd drive to #1 priority but it doesn't do anything either

A:upgrade from xp 32 to win7 64 with dvd

You cannot upgrade from XP to Windows7
A Clean install is required
Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/142669-upgrade-xp-32-win7-64-dvd.html
Relevancy 86%

Hi, I currently have Windows 7 b7127 x64.......... I am just curious to know whether I can upgrade it to the 7600 RTM build?

A:Upgrade to Win7 RTM? Possible?

the rtm hasn't been released yet, i thought.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/16797-upgrade-win7-rtm-possible.html
Relevancy 86%

Can you simply upgrade from 7068 to 7077 using the installation disc keeping installed programs etc intact?

A:Win7 Upgrade?

Quote: Originally Posted by alex21

Can you simply upgrade from 7068 to 7077 using the installation disc keeping installed programs etc intact?

Yes, I upgraded from 7068 to 7077 with no problems at all.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/7003-win7-upgrade.html
Relevancy 86%

hi my XP Pro desktop is definately suitable to upgrade to win7, if i buy a new hard drive and install it , hook it up and buy the win7 disc is it just a simple matter of downloading / insatalling win7 onto the new drive , is this all i would have to do ?
the existing drive with the XP stuff on it can stay in the desktop , i have no use for it , i am just trying to use the easiest , most simple way to get win7 into this PC,
i really am not interested in wiping the existing drive etc i just want the most simple way to upgrade, thanks palindon

A:XP Pro to win7 upgrade

If you install Win 7, disconnect the XP drive, and all other drives where Win 7 is not being installed.
The only drive connected should be the drive you are installing TO, and the device (DVD/Flash stick) you are installing FROM.
After installing Win 7 you can re-connect any other drives.

Here are some tutorials:
Clean Install Windows 7
Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397843-xp-pro-win7-upgrade.html
Relevancy 86%

I have been trying to upgrade this computer to win 7 home premium,i get to the last restart and i get this error "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware".How can I fix this.Thanks all

A:Cannot upgrade to win7

Amos2, welcome to the forum. Here is a guide that should help you solve your problem. Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Cannot-upgrade-to-win7/td-p/5610749
Relevancy 86%

At the moment I cant access anything on my computer (due to a grub error 15) and i need a way off accessing my files. I have 1 one idea of getting a new hard drive and then putting win7 on that new hard drive then from there going in the back way to get my files of the hard drive.

I have vista on my hard drive and i have the product key (off side of case) and i was wondering if i get a new clean hard drive, can i get an upgrade version of win7 and then install it on new hard drive with just the OEM vista key??

I am not sure if this will work .. after 2 hours of searching in google this is my last resort!

A:Upgrade to win7 with JUST OEM key??

No... your Vista key will not work on a windows 7 install... you will need a Windows 7 key...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/44390-upgrade-win7-just-oem-key.html
Relevancy 86%

I am trying to upgrade from a 32 bit version of Windows 7 to a 64 bit. I have been told that i will have to do a clean install but when I put the Windows disk in and boot it just boots into windows and setup does not start. How can I format my C: drive if the disk won't boot.

A:How do I upgrade from 32 bit win7 to 64 bit

Change the boot order.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/chang...rder-xp-vista/ Works the same in Windows 7

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version[2]=General Tips

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/87260-how-do-i-upgrade-32-bit-win7-64-bit.html
Relevancy 86%

Hi there, I have also just upgraded my ram to 4 GB. I am using 32 bit system vista ultimate, my latop spec is, dell, vostro 1510, my cpu is core 2 duo 1.80 Gus, the speed doesn't seem to change much. A guy from a computer shop said even though the system doesn't show 4 GB but the system already upgrade inside, and the speed should change, I been thinking of changing from 32 to 64 bit, are there any consequence?

A:XP to Win7 64 upgrade?

What speed increase were you looking for?
If for example you had 2 gig of ram installed and were not using all of it upgrading to 4 will not improve performance in XP by a noticeable amount.
If that is the case I suspect moving to Win7 64 will not either.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/xp-to-win7-64-upgrade-593983.html
Relevancy 86%

I've just upgraded my desktop to Win7, using software which does a complete upgrade - all program, files, profiles, desktops etc. - albeit not anti-virus, anti -spyware, - what a time saver.

I bought PCMover by laplink, recommended stress busting software, doing what MS should have done for all the XP people, but didn't!

Well enough preaching. You probably know about it anyway?

A:Upgrade to Win7

Was their a question you wanted to ask?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/upgrade-to-win7-524078.html
Relevancy 85.14%

So there I PC it? Win7 Did on upgrade that to handle can't are some hints that something is wrong with my Win Did I upgrade to Win7 on PC that can't handle it? install and always has been There are also some hints that it might not ever have been a Win capable machine How can I tell The hints are kind of varied and I don't know how to relay them It passes all the built in hardware tests But all kinds of things have never worked right Gadgets don't remain on reboot my SSD is very slow relative to other SSDs Windows won't install the AHCI drivers for it and other kinds of minor things which I've just lived with for years Other hints are that I can no longer do the Win Update and I can't do the Lenovo driver update anymore either There's many more The machine was purchased from Lenovo as a Vista machine and the salesman promised me that it was eligible for a free Win upgrade But when I went to Lenovo's website to get the upgrade it said my machine was not part of the free upgrade Lenovo's staff kept promising me the upgrade was coming but I only got the Win upgrade by complaining to my state's consumer affairs It makes me think that the salesman promised me something the machine couldn't do - which never happens am I right Anyway the first thing I want to do is check my hardware to see if it's working and if it can support Win How Thanks

A:Did I upgrade to Win7 on PC that can't handle it?

Did you run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor) before the installation? If you didn't then please try it now and it shall give you the needed information.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/213552-did-i-upgrade-win7-pc-cant-handle.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi all,

I have my upgrade disk from dell recently as my sis brought a new lappy. But the problem is she is not interested in upgrading. Can i upgrade my other com instead of the dell one? And my com is running win xp. Can i change the OS and upgrade it?

When dell send the disk it comes with a "UPGRADE ASSISTANT" DVD!!!
My com is DIY type, so can i still use it?

Thanks in advance for answering!

A:DELL win7 Upgrade

Quote: Originally Posted by zacdolski

Hi all,

I have my upgrade disk from dell recently as my sis brought a new lappy. But the problem is she is not interested in upgrading. Can i upgrade my other com instead of the dell one? And my com is running win xp. Can i change the OS and upgrade it?

When dell send the disk it comes with a "UPGRADE ASSISTANT" DVD!!!

Hi and welcome

we need more info on the computer you want to upgrade. Please fill in your system specs in the box lower left corner of your post. See pic

thanks

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/51248-dell-win7-upgrade.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I have an unused Vista upgrade that came with my purchase of a Dell XPS laptop running XP MCE 2005. Rather than having to backup files and then reinstall apps for a clean install of 7, would it make sense to run the Vista upgrade, deal with the Vista driver issues then, and be able to do an upgrade to 7?

A:XP to Win7. Upgrade to Vista 1st??

I think it could work. I personally would do a clean install if possible but that's just me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/27851-xp-win7-upgrade-vista-1st.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hello and thanks in Win7? Platform Best Upgrade For advance for your help I have a brand new computer en route to replace my aging XP-Home-running system It comes with XP-Pro AND Vista Business on it my choice which to run when I get it It also comes with the now-standard semi-freebie upgrade to Win in October I recently read Walt Mossberg s article in the Wall St Journal explaining that upgrading to Win from XP is a major headache requiring more or less a total wipe and re-do and saving one s files elsewhere in the process I d hate to have to go through all that when I m already facing the transfer of my computer life from the old machine to the new probably via LapLink unless somebody s got a better suggestion but I HATE Vista I LOVE XP and so my problem is as follows Is it better for me to quot bite the bullet quot and run Vista for the next few months until Win comes out avoiding the XP-to-Win complexities I ve been warned of or do we think they ll make that process easier when the final of Win comes out because of the huge XP user base out here that never moved to Vista Advice appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 85.14%

The install went smooth as silk. I did a full wipe from xp. Now as I was updating programs I installed cpu-z and noticed my 3.0ghz processor was only running at 800 ghz. It should be at 3000 ghz. Anyone have an idea how to fix this. This is my only problem.

Thanks Steve

A:Trouble with cpu after upgrade win7 pro

Quote: Originally Posted by Stevo

The install went smooth as silk. I did a full wipe from xp. Now as I was updating programs I installed cpu-z and noticed my 3.0ghz processor was only running at 800 ghz. It should be at 3000 ghz. Anyone have an idea how to fix this. This is my only problem.

Thanks Steve

Hi steve and welcome

There may be nothing wrong. If you aern't putting a load on the computer it will slow down both to save power and heat. Try loading it and re-checking
Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/45744-trouble-cpu-after-upgrade-win7-pro.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I thought that re-installing Win7 Upgrade over Vista using Custom install would get rid of ALL the win7 files. This needed to be done as the virus that got that computer was next to impossible to get off. After re-installing (twice to make sure) there are still files from the original install over Vista. The windows.old and windows.old.000 files are both referring to Win7. What I would like to do is this: Uninstall everything from Win7, taking me back to Vista, doing a recovery (alt-f12) so I have clean Vista then install Win7. I don't know, but I think that is the only way I can get this right. Any suggestions? I did do a search in these forums and didn't get a hit on any key words I used. THANKS in advance because I know you all know!

Jann

A:Deleting Win7 Upgrade

Here is how to perform CLEAN Windows 7 installation with upgrade DVD: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/38243-clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-dvd/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/395881/deleting-win7-upgrade/
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi I have licenced Windows Ultimate which I got with version to another upgrade Cannot Win7 of my new laptop When I try to upgrade change it to a customised version of Win Ultimate from an ISO it FAILS At start It Cannot upgrade to another version of Win7 updates the installer tried without updating also and after that I select UPGRADE The installtion progress starts and goes good over the first steps but in the middle of the fifth and last step something about gathering info about services it just suddenly sends me a popup windows with a laconic message like Quote Windows cannot upgrade to this version use windows upgarde to determine compatibility issues the installation program will now reboot and restore windows to it's previous state I ran this installation as system In the background it seems like the installation is still going or in an endless loop deadlock situation so I pressed OK Then the system restarts and I get options Windows Windows setup rollback At first I tried the windows option which leeds again to the installation screen but still It wants to exit with the same error popup I tried several other boot options with F but with no avail so aventually I had to press the rollback and return to my original Win The message I get after it is attached Obviously my system have the requirements needed for Win Whrere What is the problem How where can I see the log of the setup installation process THNX ALOT FELLAS

A:Cannot upgrade to another version of Win7

Have you tried formatting your drive first?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/79533-cannot-upgrade-another-version-win7.html
Relevancy 85.14%

had to buy a new machine. Old one gave out after 9years. Wanted to wait for Win7, but couldn't. Can I upgrade over vista with 7 or do I have to wipe everything off. Got 2Quad with 6g ram and 750mg harddrive.

Relevancy 85.14%

I have a Vista machine 32 bit from HP ans an going to upgrade to Win 7 via Upgrade disc.
Can I do the upgrade not connected to the internet and once completed connect to internet for updates?
The reason I ask whis machine is on ny wireless network and the updates will take forever

Relevancy 85.14%

Can't upgrade to Win 10 cause I can't update Win7 to SP1. that about says it. Tried WIndows update many times, tried to upgrade the computer using Win 7 disk to Win 7 with latest files...

Give me recommendations to get this machine to Windows 10. thanks

A:Can't upgrade to Win 10 cause I can't update Win7 to SP1

Download the Windows 10 ISO file. Either using a third party program to mount the ISO file or create a DVD or USB flash drive from the ISO file. From within Windows 7 run setup.exe from inside the mounted ISO file or on the USB flash driver or DVD you created from it.

Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

How do I mount iso image file in Windows 7?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/53623-cant-upgrade-win-10-cause-i-cant-update-win7-sp1.html