Windows Support Forum

Dual Booting Pre-installed Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Q: Dual Booting Pre-installed Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Hello, today I am trying to dual boot my Pre-Installed Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows 7. I have chosen "Shrink Volume" in Disk Management and I have created a new partition for Windows 7. Whenever I try to install windows 7 on the selected partition, I get the error that the hard disk is GPT type. I cannot convert it to MBR.
I open DISKPART
I write LISTDISK
I only see "Disk 0"
I write "select Disk 0"
Then I write "List Partition"
My hard drive has 7 partitions. My windows 7 partition is 5
I write "select partition 5"
Now, my question is, if I write clean, will it clean that specific partition or my entire hard drive?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Dual Booting Pre-installed Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Dual Booting Pre-installed Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Originally Posted by armenh7

Whenever I try to install windows 7 on the selected partition, I get the error that the hard disk is GPT type.

Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).

Quote from this post: UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

Tip
Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to MBR disk in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on a GPT disk.

- Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then delete all partitions on the disk.

Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to GPT disk in UEFI Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on an MBR disk.

- Delete all partitions on the disk, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69236-dual-booting-pre-installed-windows-8-1-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi everyone. I have Windows 7 64-bit and I want to install Windows XP 32-bit for extra cross-compatibility. I know 32 bit apps can work in 64 bit but I also need my printers and other devices working.

I need help with a guide to dual-boot operating systems but I can't find a guide that includes Windows 7 as the first operating system. Could anybody help me by pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-DarkPacMan77-

A:Dual Booting with Windows 7 Installed First?

Here is tutorial:Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
See option two

Edit: Method two...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/23338-dual-booting-windows-7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I have found guide for dual booting Windows 7 with XP or Vista already installed, but not the other way around.

I allocated some free space from my C drive for the XP install. I installed XP, but when I restarted my computer, I got this error, "A disk read error has occurred; press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart dual boot".

What am I doing wrong?

A:Dual booting XP with Windows 7 already installed

Alright, I'm going to try using EasyBCD. Hopefully that will work.

But please give me your input still.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/19010-dual-booting-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi guys.

Thanks for looking at this thread.

I have a few questions about dual booting windows 7 and windows 8 preinstalled (UEFI) on my Dell laptop.

1. Can I install a non-UEFI version of Windows 7 on my laptop, if so how?
2. Will installing a non-UEFI version of Windows 7 on my laptop break it?
3. Can I use EasyBCD for UEFI?
4. How do I create a UEFI windows 7?

Thank you

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

Really no point in dual booting since they are essentially the same OS like 7 to Vista.

Choose one and stick with it, Windows 7 will be supported till 2017 (mainstream) and 2020 (security).

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17213-dual-booting-windows-7-windows-8-pre-installed-uefi.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice, my girlfriend has recently got a new laptop and unfortunately she doesn't like it, despite me loving Windows 8.1.
She would like to try Windows 8 but is going back to Uni soon so would like Windows 7 as a back-up dual booted.

I've shrunk the partition and created a simple partition for Windows 7 but really unsure about Installing Windows 7 on a Windows 8 Laptop, it's an ASUS X550CA-XX417H. I've checked power shell with SecureBootUEFI and result is True.

What would be the best way to dual boot?

Cheers,
Ben

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 with pre-installed Windows 8 Laptop

As this a OEM manufacturer's PC with Pre-installed Windows 8?

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

You will need to buy Windows 7.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/37995-dual-booting-windows-7-pre-installed-windows-8-laptop.html
Relevancy 86.86%

okay, i got a computer as a gift that had windows 98 on it, so i wanted to put windows xp (home edition) on it. i installed it correctly and everything works fine, but when i turn it on it asks me to choose the operating system and i'm being given the same choice twice:

select your operating system:
1. Windows XP Home edition
2. Windows XP Home editionClick to expand...

how do i uninstall the other windows XP or disable this screen so i go through start up normally?

thanx in advance for any help

A:Windows XP appears to be installed twice (now I have a dual booting screen)

The hidden file C:\boot.ini contains the settings for bootup. You can remove the second entry from this, but BE CAREFUL and don't remove the one that works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-appears-to-be-installed-twice-now-i-have-a-dual-booting-screen.19289/
Relevancy 77.83%

A long title indeed, but it pretty much sums it all up. I have installed Ubuntu first and then dual booted windows XP. I soon found out that the fact Ubuntu wasn't compatible with many programs (even through wine) I wanted only Windows XP on my pc.
I've searched many topics, but all described how to uninstall Ubuntu when Windows was the primary OS. In my case Ubuntu is the main OS and it dual boots with Windows and I want to rid myself of Ubuntu leaving only Windows.

What do I need to do to get the desired computer setup? Or is it irrelevant which OS was installed first and will a guide describing how to remove Ubuntu from windows work as well for my case.

Important addition: I could very well be the biggest computer-noob you've encountered thus far. So talk to me as though I am 4 year old

A:Uninstalling Ubuntu dual-booting Windows XP with Ubuntu installed first

shouldn't matter the install sequence if you want to only have Windows. Boot into Windows and then delete (from disk management) the linux partitions. This may leave your computer in a state where you can not boot into Windows. To fix this you'll have to boot off the XP install disk and boot to the recovery console, once there type 'fixmbr' without the '

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/uninstalling-ubuntu-dual-booting-windows-xp-with-ubuntu-installed-first.149005/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi guys maybe u can help me. I had Windows 8.1 x64 and windows 7 x64 dual booting with EasyBCD. It was all fine i had it booting up like this

Then i installed Windows 10 Tech on my SSD drive and all of a sudden it went to this

How do i get it back the other way like the first image

Thank u guys here at MT

A:Dual booting Windows 8.1 x64 Windows 7 x64. Then added SSD Windows 10 tech preview

>>Well First u boot to windows 8
>>Open "Run" and Type "msconfig.exe"

>>Under Boot, change the 'default OS' to "Windows 7"
>>And check/tick "No GUI Boot"
>>And check "Make boot device permanent"

Finally Apply and Ok
Hope This helps.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/dual-booting-windows-8-1-x64-windows-7-x64-then-added-ssd-windows-10-tech-preview.40419/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi

I trying to find any information on dual booting. All the information I have states that the earliset version of an operating system has to be installed first. I have alraedy installed XP and looking to dual boot with 2000 or 98 (or maybe both). Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me how do do it. I am also unsure as to whether to buy a second hard drive to undertake this task. What things should I have to think about. I curerently have a 120gb Seagate hard drive partitioned into 4 sectors. All sectors have been formated as NTFS.

A:Dual Booting when XP is already Installed

Its a simple solution actually, just install a seperate operating system on seperate partitions, you have this option to create different partitions when you recently reformat, just take your 120 GB HDD and decide how much space you want to give each OS, and install an OS just like you would normally do it, Eg. you split your HDD into 3 different partitions ( C:/, D:/, and E:/ ) install Xp on C:/ and when choosing to install 200 or 98 choose the desired "drive" as your main drive, so install 2000 on D:/ and 98 on E:/ and when you load your computer you can select which OS to run. Other custimaztion options will follow.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-booting-when-xp-is-already-installed-19379.html
Relevancy 70.52%

dual boting xp amd 98 aferter xp instod on 2 HD

I whont to dual buot wtith xp and 98 on to diffrent hd and have xp intaled allrey. i got xp instoled on my c: drave and 98 intoled on my E:. i have eadted boot.ini so that the apertating chese apper.
when i clik on the 98 for the oes to load but it doesn't load it'just resart the computer. so hoe do i get it to load to 98?

A:Dual Booting XP and 98 after XP installed on 2 HDs

Your boot.ini is incorrect

Could you post the contents of your boot.ini? I believe that if you have an install of 98 on a second hard drive and you are getting to the choose OS menu that at least some of what you have done is right. Your boot.ini is most likely pointing to an invalid location. How did you get 98 installed? Hopefully it was on the same computer and you are not just bringing a 98 hard drive from another computer.

We also have a search feature on this site, dual booting has been discussed many times, including having the OSes on different hard drives and installing 98 after 2k/XP.
Here is a link you might want to read over: http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=823

Note: I have corrected the spelling in the title at least so it will show up when people search for "dual booting".
P.S. - You didn't give a location on where you are from - so I dont' know if English is your primary language, but either way you need to work on your spelling - it took me about 3 times through before I fully understood. Your use of the words was more or less correct but the spelling made it almost unreadable. We realize this is an international forum and not everyone speaks fluent English as well as some of us on the board but the better the spelling is the easier it will be for us to read, and you will get a faster response.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-booting-xp-and-98-after-xp-installed-on-2-hds.1100/
Relevancy 70.52%

Recently I purchased a laptop with windows 8 64 bit pre-installed in it. For my job purpose, I needed windows 7 32 bit. After searching the web and also using the information I got from this site, I disabled secure boot, deleted the recovery partition and converted GPT partitions to MBR. Then I shrink the Big partition in which windows 8 was installed to make room for the windows 7 partition. Then I created a new partition and installed windows 7 on it. After this whenever I switch on the computer, a message come up, saying that a required device cannot be found and windows is to be repaired. The only way in which I can start windows is to go to bios, select the boot options and then select boot from notebook hard drive.

Can anybody please tell me how this problem can be solved

A:Booting problem with dual booting with windows 8 and 7

when you created the new partition did you make itin front or behind the existing partition?

If your boot manager is looking to boot Win 8 on Disk 0 Part 1, and you created the new partition in front of Win 8, your Win 7 will now be located on Disk 0 Part 1 which is where the boot manager is expecting Win 8

can you send us a screen cap of your disk management?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/25997-booting-problem-dual-booting-windows-8-7-a.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have a portable with windows xp installed on together with pointsec security software. I decided to install windows 7 on an external e-sata harddisk to keep my work harddisk (xp) apart from my personal harddisk (windows 7).

Now I can't boot anymore with the internal windows xp because windows 7 seems to have overwritten some boot files on the internal HD altough I did tell windows 7 to only install on the external HD. I guess that windows 7 installs it's bootloader on the internal harddisk.

How I can I restore the original bootloader to the internal HD? Please note pointsec security software was installed on the internal harddisk. On the internal harddisk I only see the following files:
bootsect.bak
bootmgr
Boot [DIR]
System Volume Information [DIR]

Thank you,
J.

A:Installed windows 7 on e-sata, internal windows xp not booting anymore

Welcome to the sevenforums! JohnQM

The mbr or master boot record on the internal drive now points to the external eSata drive you have 7 installed on. In order to make the internal drive bootable again you would need the original hopefully bootable recovery disk or another XP disk of the same edition to boot upto the recovery console.

Rather then performing a repair install the "Fixboot" and "Fixmbr" commands are typed in at the command prompt type window once you log onto the XP preinstall in order to see the boot sector information and mbr entries rewritten. You first will need to unplug the external drive while powered down however to see this done.

The look at the root of the internal drive while booted in 7 should reveal any 7 boot files placed there if you have gone into the folder options view tab and unchecked the hide protected system files item to make them visible. Otherwise only the mbr entries were replaced by the 7 installer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/91407-installed-windows-7-e-sata-internal-windows-xp-not-booting-anymore.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello I have another laptop and its a HP s I originally installed Windows professional bit But I have swapped the ram into my Lenovo ThinkPad So the HP now has Windows Windows 64bit 7 and Vista 32bit dual BSOD when booting GB I created a new partition and BSOD when dual booting Windows Vista 32bit and Windows 7 64bit installed Vista Business bit on it When I started the install windows exe program in Windows everything went well until it rebooted When I rebooted windows said something like Windows Boot manager The system cannot boot because of a recent change to files hardware Something like that Insert your windows disk So I just rebooted my laptop with the vista disk inside and installed After when everything was working I wanted to go to the Windows partition to un-install programs and copy some files over BSOD when dual booting Windows Vista 32bit and Windows 7 64bit to the vista partition the laptop just booted into vista I downloaded the easy BCD editior and visual BCD editor in the vista partition I clicked the auto fix in visual BCD editor It detected my windows installations At BSOD when dual booting Windows Vista 32bit and Windows 7 64bit the boot screen I can select either Windows or Vista But when I select the same error message appears Then I rebooted my laptop with a USB containing the Windows bit recovery tools After I don't have the message again But when it goes to the starting windows animation it stops halfway and it gets a BSOD I tried debugging mode it worked I found out that the larger partition Windows is the C drive But when I boot into the smaller partition Windows Vista the drive is also C So I don't know what I could do How could I fix this I insert the windows disk and repaired my installation it just boots into windows But when I insert the Vista disk and repaired my installation it just boots into Vista What could I do Thanks Fighter Pilot P S Sorry for long post

A:BSOD when dual booting Windows Vista 32bit and Windows 7 64bit

Is Vista Business a full retail version?
Is Windows 7 professional x64 a full retail version?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/237074-bsod-when-dual-booting-windows-vista-32bit-windows-7-64bit.html
Relevancy 69.66%

The Laptop model number is Gateway MT6916, I partition the drive using windows vista, then proceed to install windows 7. Windows 7 finished installing then rebooted, the odd thing about was that there was no bootloader (for dual booting). The laptop booted into the gateway recovery instead. I check the Bcdedit just using the command prompt from the gateway recovery and everything seem to listed fine with the exception that windows 7 identifier is <default>. I tried repairing the startup for vista and windows 7 but it still keeps booting to the gateway recovery? Windows Vista Home Premium is under C: and Windows 7 is under D:
Laptop Specs:
Processor Intel® Core 2 Duo processor T5250
1.5 GHz | 1 MB L2 cache | 667 MHz FSB
Chipset Intel® GM965
Display panel 15.4-inch WXGA (1280 × 800)
Memory 2048 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2 × 1024)
Operates at 667 MHz
Total slots: 2 DDR2 slots | Available slots: 0 DDR2 slots
Video controller Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Up to 384 MB of Dynamic Video Memory

Thanks

David

A:Solved: Having Trouble Dual Booting Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows 7 ultimate

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-having-trouble-dual-booting-windows-vista-home-premium-and-windows-7-ultimate.895986/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello All I have Windows Dual installation Windows Boot already 7 installed 2003 in Windows Server Laptop on Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop-432998.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello All Windows Laptop Boot on 2003 Server in installed installation Dual already Windows 7 I have Windows Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards nbsp

A:Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop

Couple of things you can do after installing 2003.

Boot from the W7 dvd select repair my computer and do a startup repair, most of the time this fixes the bootloader for W7, but then 2003 may not boot now. So then you need to install a BCD editor software in W7 to get both of them booting properly.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

If startup repair does not get W7 booting again, there are some commands you can do from the W7 recovery environment to get the job done, (boot from the W7 cd, select repair my computer, then command prompt)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop.878387/
Relevancy 69.23%

I have a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 10 on a primary m.2 disk.
It also has an HDD that I divided into partitions.

Now I have an old laptop that has Windows 7 that holds programs and files that I left behind. I want those programs accessible in a Windows 7 environment. Therefore, I cloned my Windows 7 to a spare partition on my laptop's HDD. Right now, I have Windows 10 on primary SSD and cloned Windows 7 on a partition of secondary HDD.

However, the problem is that, while the disk cloning process went successfully, it's not bootable. So my question is: how do I make the disk with Windows 7 bootable?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57645-dual-boot-setup-pre-installed-windows-10-cloned-windows-7dows.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I have windows XP installed and can easily shrink the partition it's on to make room for windows 98. However, every guide to dual booting says I must install windows 98 first, but I already have windows XP installed with all my programs and definitely don't want to have to reinstall it and all my programs as well.

Is there any way? What about another boot loader which can handle them both and how would I install it.

A:Dual booting Windows XP home edition and Windows 98

I found this on Microsoft's web site

Quote:

You have to install Windows XP only after installing MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me to prevent these operating systems from overwriting the Windows XP boot sector and the Windows XP startup files.

Could I just use a different boot loader? I could install 98 on a different partition so it doesn't even know Windows XP is there, then install a boot loader to let me choose?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-booting-windows-xp-home-edition-and-windows-98-a-188837.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I'm having some trouble dual booting Windows 7 ultimate on my current OS Windows 8.1. I have the installation CD in my desktops dvd drive. I reboot and go in the BIOS and I don't see the option to boot from CD. My BIOS is this.

This is my computer: Desktops - M51AC - ASUS

All I see listed is my internal hard drive on my computer which boots my Windows 8.1 OS. I tried enabling CMS and it shows my DVD drive but when I boot it goes to a blackscreen and flickers like its restarting itself. I tried with a USB same thing. Could someone help me out please? It would be very appreciated thank-you.

A:Needing assistance dual booting Windows 7 on Windows 8.1.

If you want to install Windows 7, you must disable Secure Boot, because it is not compatible with Windows 7.

Here is info about Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style) and UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style): LINK

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/52489-needing-assistance-dual-booting-windows-7-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 68.8%

hey all,
i just had some problems...obviously... anyhoo, i tried to make another partition to install Windows XP on, but after installing, i don't get the option to boot into vista...which is quite worrying...i also have some "ubuntu remains" but cannot boot into the Linux OS because i deleted the files thinking that that would get rid of it. but then i have to repair my vista installation using the cd from a friends computer. (Windows Startup Repair after booting from CD)
ideas anyone?
:>

Relevancy 68.8%

Hey Guys,
I just built this Computer and I installed Windows 10 on it. I wanted to play a game on it so I wanted to install windows 7 on the hard drive too. And know when the installation finished, none of my drivers from the other os didn't copy to this os. So would I have to re-install the Mobo drivers and my graphics card drivers?
Thanks,
Randy

A:Dual Booting Windows 10 and Windows 7 drivers question

As far as I know you have to install drivers for each OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/397366-dual-booting-windows-10-windows-7-drivers-question.html
Relevancy 68.8%

The most annoying feature of dual booting or indeed running a different Windows version in a VM is that Windows updates have to update, booting - Windows dual automation? Windows 7 with be done for each Windows update, dual booting with Windows 7 - automation? OS if I want to keep both OS versions current and secure On the second OS which may be used just occasionally the entire cycle of download Windows update, dual booting with Windows 7 - automation? installation and then restart and configuration of the updates can take Windows update, dual booting with Windows 7 - automation? a long time This obviously can disrupt work or the updates have to be manually interrupted and delayed for another day when the second OS attempts to finish the updates giving a further wait before the system can be used Windows can schedule the updates to be done out of hours but forces a restart a day or so later Windows forces the restart sooner Has anyone a script to schedule an update of the other OS following quot patch Tuesday quot when either one of the OSs has done an automatic update - with either version acting as an updates server for the other OS Here's the scenario I'd like Windows receives automatic update downloads for itself and then for the other OS and at a scheduled time installs its own updates then shuts down starts the other OS which installs its own updates and then restarts and completes the installation Now the Windows system restarts completes the configuration of the updates for itself and then the system is ready for use the next day Now if the active system at the time of update is Windows the same procedure takes place with Windows as the other OS The net result of this would avoid the wasted time situation when the other OS has updates pending and you just want to use the second OS for a quick operation or to check out something

A:Windows update, dual booting with Windows 7 - automation?

Something like this? To fully automate it, one can replace the prompts with SendKeys...

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/47768-windows-update-dual-booting-windows-7-automation.html
Relevancy 68.8%

First of all I would like to say thank you for allowing me to join the forum Back in when I 7 adding and Windows Linux then dual Windows booting 8 was medically retired from the British Army after sustaining a spinal injury on Operational Tour I retrained myself in computers My OS of choice back then was MS Windows however after Windows XP I moved to OSX About two years ago I knew I needed to get back involved with Windows and bought my Lenovo Laptop running Windows Home Premium I then installed Windows Consumer Preview on a different partition and upgraded to Windows Pro when it became available I am now looking to install a distro of Linux and can't seem to find any information of doing so I don't know which Windows partition it would be best to install it on or Also I understand that Ubuntu have a Windows Installer wubi but I Windows 7 and Windows 8 dual booting then adding Linux have heard horror stories after the installation My main fear is losing Windows or and if the entire process is too risky I'll just leave Windows 7 and Windows 8 dual booting then adding Linux it altogether So I guess my question is has anyone installed a Linux distro on a PC which originally came pre installed with Windows and then added Windows to a partition if so can you help me out I apologise if this question offends anyone who may think I should have posted this on a Linux forum I just thought I would get a more concise answer from the Windows Forums thank you all so much for your help and time in advance

A:Windows 7 and Windows 8 dual booting then adding Linux

It would be best to install your Linux distro on another HD with the WIndows OS HD unplugged. You can even run Linux from a boot CD or flash stick.

If you decide you want to try multi-booting it with Windows I'd back up a Win7 backup image of your Windows installations first so you have a path back to where you are now.

I'd also look over this tutorial written by one of our top members here: Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux - Windows 7 Forums.

You can discuss this further with the tutorial's author in its comments section or ask him there to chip in to discussion here. You'll get help that like him is Golden.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/277130-windows-7-windows-8-dual-booting-then-adding-linux.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Can any one help me, I have a windows ME system and i want to dual boot it with Windows NT.

E-mail me with your answers and suggestions

Regards

Kris

------------------
E-mail me on [email protected] and visit my yahoo club http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/scottishpeople

A:{Advice Offered} - Dual booting Windows NT on Windows ME

Greetings

Check out my webpage:
http://www.xperts.co.za/multiboot

I have not mentioned ME (yes, it needs to be updated a little), but for the purposes of Dual booting, it is the same as Win98.

On your system, all you will need is a second partition (or hard drive, your choice), and then you just need to install NT, it will create a dual boot system automatically.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-dual-booting-windows-nt-on-windows-me.29221/
Relevancy 68.8%

I installed Windows 8 RP on my laptop on another partition but my Windows 7 in C:/ got lost. How do I install it again?

A:HELP! Installed Windows 8 (dual boot) but lost Windows 7 Basic

My dual boot works, Win7Ultimate64 on C and Win8Enterprise64 on D, I just hope you did a system image or back up before installation, not unless you are sure of what you are doing.. Before Win8 installs it will ask you the location where you will have it installed, if Win7 really got lost maybe you mixed up the installation.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8140-help-installed-windows-8-dual-boot-but-lost-windows-7-basic.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

I've read that i should install XP first. But I already have windows 7 installed and dont want to wipe that drive clean and reinstall.

Is this possilbe? To add a new sata hard drive and install xp 32bit to an existing PC running Win7 64 bit. With having a boot option at start up?

A:Solved: Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-with-windows-7-on-2-harddrives-windows-7-already-installed.902342/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I have looked all over for info on what will happen if I try to install windows on a new partition for a lenovo laptop that already has windows installed and this does not seem to be a common scenario nbsp TLDR I want to install windows side by side with Windows that is already installed but what I read HERE nbsp made me worried that installing windows on a windows box was not going to on a has windows boot windows dual 7 Installing machine installed that 10 already be the same as installing windows on a windows box I was going to do it from windows by mounting an iso but I could also just do it from a usb boot whatever is Installing windows 7 dual boot on a machine that already has windows 10 installed the easiest nbsp Warning You must install the older operating system first and then install the more recent operating system If you don't for example if you install Windows Vista on a computer already running Windows you can render your system inoperable This can happen because earlier versions of Windows don't recognize the startup files used in more recent versions of Windows and can overwrite them Can anyone advise as to whether or not this is a true danger or if there is a way to get around the problem This is a work machine which is why I want to do this over the weekend because I can't afford to be offline during the week testing this kind of thing nbsp Thanks for the help Luke Reasons for doing this nbsp I am a developer and my new laptop came with Windows I tried in the beginning to get some of the pre-installed bloatware removed with mixed luck tried several different reset scenarios none of them quite did it I manually uninstalled what I could but the machine has never run well despite having reasonably good specs gen i SSD gigs of ram it doesn't run as well as the year old dell of similar specs that it replaced after dying It comes out of sleep slowly and gets bogged down by visual studio and a lot of my other tools I have gone through a lot of tweak guides and disabled unused settings and spent a fair amount of time on nbsp Long story short I have a feeling a fresh install of windows will run fine on this hardware and I really don't want or need any of the features of Windows which I don't hate it just doesn't have any benefits for me especially on my developer machine and I want to install windows to see if it works better nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4e7dfe7-60c2-4e76-a362-efab9999a47b/installing-windows-7-dual-boot-on-a-machine-that-already-has-windows-10-installed?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 68.8%

How do I do this? I tried following a tutorial in the tutorial section, but the option to delete volume in grayed out.

A:Remove Windows 10 from dual boot with Windows 7, Win10 installed first

It`s grayed out because it`s the Active partition and has the system files on it, if you were to delete it then Windows 7 would not boot anymore.

The Windows 7 partition must be made Active and the System files have to be written there before you can delete Windows 10.

The proper thing to do is backup your files, wipe out the entire drive and reinstall windows 7

Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/401647-remove-windows-10-dual-boot-windows-7-win10-installed-first.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Just what the title says, how do I set up dual booting between Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Windows XP MCE 32 bit, with both OSes already installed on two separate HDDs. It has been suggested that I use EasyBCD to add the XP MCE entries to the Windows 7 boot menu. It has also been suggested that when I want to boot into the XP MCE drive, that I change the boot order in the BIOS.

Would this still screw up the MBR for Windows 7?

A:Dual Booting Win7 HP 64 Bit and XP MCE - Two HDDs, Both OS Installed

Yes you can and no it won`t.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/233160-dual-booting-win7-hp-64-bit-xp-mce-two-hdds-both-os-installed.html
Relevancy 68.37%

can I dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

Samsung notebook model: NP300E5C-A08SA

A:dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

yes you can, as long as it is on it's own partition or disk

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/64551-dual-boot-windows-vista-pre-installed-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 67.94%

K so i got one sata hd @ 500gb split into four drives C drive holds windows XP (main op sys) E drive i play around with various op sys and at the minute ive given vista another go so vista is on E. I have all my games installed to drive D (installed thro XP drive C) and wonder if i can play them from vista (drive E) by somehow writing the files to the E registry without installing them again. I havnt the space to reinstall everything and would love it if i could run all my games from both ops sys without the install space being needed twice. Do i just install from vista to the D drive over whats there already (but backup all my save data) or will will this kill my XP installed game data.
Explained this the best hope someone u/s what i mean

A:Dual booting vista/xp can i share the installed games

they have to be reinstall. in addition you need to read their eula to see if you can legally have two installs of the the same game.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-booting-vista-xp-can-i-share-the-installed-games-312987.html
Relevancy 67.51%

System crashed Oct after completing an on-line form when an unrequested email form Windows booting into PC / XP 7 Dual 7 not Windows boot appeared which was looping with a continuous production of letters amp figures Unable to stop the process system shut down When re-started the Windows 7 / XP Dual boot PC not booting into Windows 7 system booted up but refused to display BIOS or operating system After checking system graphics card found to be faulty which was replaced Oct System re-booted but refused to open in W Launched system restore with W O S to attempt system repair Initial error message stated NTLDR missing or corrupt Internet search suggested problem with XP Launched XP amp system booted OK XP updated amp now launches normally but W did not Re-booted NTLDR message no longer displayed but after completing repair process W did not boot SUMMARY OF SESSION DETAILS Start-up Repair Diagnostic amp Repair Details Last successful boot time Oct GMT Number of repair attempts Session Details List of Checks Total some of which some are repeated include - Check for updates System Disk test Disk failure diagnosis Disk metadata test Target O S test Volume content test Boot manager test System boot diagnosis Event log diagnosis Internal state check Disk failure diagnosis System boot log diagnosis Boot status test Set up state check Registry hives test Windows boot log diagnosis Bug check analysis Access control test Files system test Software installation log Fall back diagnosis Route cause found - Messages Start up repair tried several times but still cannot Windows 7 / XP Dual boot PC not booting into Windows 7 determine cause of problem times Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused problem Repair action system files integrity check amp repair Result failed error code x time taken ms There are several suggestions on the internet to carry out changes to Windows 7 / XP Dual boot PC not booting into Windows 7 the registry Although I have experience of doing this I would prefer a clean fix Hope someone can help System details - Asus P N -SLI Premium board Pentium processor Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce graphics card Gb DDR ram x Gb Seagate Sata hrad drives Malydee

A:Windows 7 / XP Dual boot PC not booting into Windows 7

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Management drive map with listings showing all columns, using Snipping Tool in Start Menu. Label what's on all partitions. We will give you the steps to recover Win7 and/or your Dual Boot - do you wish to keep it?

Is this factory preinstalled Win7, with XP added to another partition as a Dual Boot? Do you have Recovery Disks, a Win7 Reinstallation DVD (or access to any Win7 installer), and your XP CD or a backup image of either OS?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/195240-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-pc-not-booting-into-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I am dualbooting Windows 7 and Vista. So far everything is running perfect. The only thing I am having a problem with is running programs from my Vista partition.

One game won't start at all and Steam tries to open, but then says it can't find a key. How can I run programs from my Vista partition without having to reinstall? I don't have a lot of space to spare. That one game I was trying to run takes 7 GB.

Thanks.

A:Dual booting Windows 7 RC and Windows Vista SP1

You don't. The only way to run a program in 7 is to install it into 7. The drivers, auxiliary files, application data and so on can't be used from an operating system that is not loaded.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-booting-windows-7-rc-and-windows-vista-sp1.832822/
Relevancy 67.51%

I have tried to dual boot Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows XP (both 32-bit).
To do this I firstly created two new partitions:
D\
F\
Then I put the windows XP installation disk in and restarted my computer, I then went on to install Windows XP on the F\ drive, after setup had installed the basic files it restarted the PC and now I get a message asking to boot from CD, I do so and then it tries to start set up over again.

I can't get past the CD booting part (my CD ROM is primary in boot order) so I can't use Windows Vista which is already installed, or finish off the Windows XP installation.

Computer specs:
500GB Hitachi HDD SATA-2
4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.2GHz processor
XFX GeForce 9500GT 1GB PCI-E

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Anchutz.

A:Dual booting Windows Vista and Windows XP

Once XP has copied files it does reboot and you will see press any key to boot from CD again only now you do not press anything and setup should continue at that point.

Do you already have Vista installed on your PC?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-booting-windows-vista-and-windows-xp-423043.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello. I am trying to figure out how to dual boot Windows 2000 and Windows ME? I know that you can partition your drive but is there a way to dual boot using a Master/ slave drive? This would be ideal for me. Any advice and/or good links would be greatly appreciated. This is actually for an older HP computer I have. thank you

A:Dual Booting Windows 2000 and Windows ME

What I would recommend doing is installing Windows Me on the slave drive first, making sure it is bootable and what not. Then installing Windows 2000 on the master drive. Windows 2000 should see the Windows Me installation and pick it up. Then when you go to boot your system the Windows Operating System loader will appear and it will ask you if you want to boot to "Windows 2000 Professional" or "Windows Me".

You could also use Norton PartitionMagic, it used to be PowerQuest PartitionMagic but now I think it is owned by Symantec.

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=sp&pvid=pm80

There is some information about Symantec/Norton PartitionMagic.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-booting-windows-2000-and-windows-me.528350/
Relevancy 67.51%

I recently upgraded my copy of Windows 7 to Windows 8 (using an upgrade-DVD), now after using it for a while I'd like to have the option to boot up Windows 7 too. Unfortunately I only have a windows 7 upgrade DVD so I'll have to install windows vista before installing windows 7.

Now here's what I'd like to have: the pc should have Windows 8 as the primary OS, and windows 7 as a secondary OS. At this moment windows 8 is installed in my C-drive. Is it possible to just install windows vista in a freshly made partition?

I thank you in advance!

A:Dual-Booting Windows 8 and Windows Vista

Welcome to EightFurums.

How full license's do you have?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/16246-dual-booting-windows-8-windows-vista.html
Relevancy 67.51%

nbsp nbsp nbsp I recently bought a new Lenovo Thinkpad E bit Pro upgraded to Win Pro to replace my Windows Dual Windows Pro Problems 10 7 Pro Booting with Toshiba Satellite bit Vista business upgraded to Windows Pro and bought a SSD so I could dual boot between the systems I used EaseUS Todo to clone both systems to the SSD Problems Dual Booting Windows 7 Pro with Windows 10 Pro and got the Windows working wonderfully but cannot boot to Windows without a blue screen of death that consistently refuses to allow me to repair it with my repair disk nbsp nbsp nbsp The Lenovo doesn't have a CD drive so I pushed the repair files to a USB Still not working The laptop just won't boot from the USB or give me the option to repair And I can't create a Recovery Drive because I don't have a Windows ISO just my Upgrade Disk I went to Microsoft's site to pull down the Windows ISO entered my product code and received the choices of Korean or French language downloads No English download is available for my product code which is English Problems Dual Booting Windows 7 Pro with Windows 10 Pro language nbsp nbsp nbsp BTW I moved the SSD into the Toshiba and I can boot to Windows all day long from it So the SSD clone is good Ran a checkdisk on it and everything is good It just won't boot up on the bit Lenovo system nbsp nbsp Does anyone have any advice they can give me on fixing this issue Blue screen of Death only stays up for seconds but I managed to take a picture with my phone The message reads A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again follow these steps Check for viruses on your computer Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated Run CHKDSK F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer Technical information STOP x B x A xC X X NOTE Reposted here from MSDN on the advice of a Microsoft Support Engineer MCITP DBA MCDBA MCSA

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ca0d44d9-a7f6-439d-88e5-fcfad345ef29/problems-dual-booting-windows-7-pro-with-windows-10-pro?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 67.51%

When i go to dual boot windows and windows xp The computer restarts several times and then it says TFGHT is compressed. Press control alt delete to restart. How to do i fix it?

A:Dual booting windows xp and windows 7 problem

Hi Rudolph, welcome to the forums
Can you give more details? Have you been able to install Windows 7? Did you already have XP installed? If not are you trying a clean install or upgrade? Have you started booting from the DVD or running setup.exe

Can you also double check the message? There seems to be nothing about "TFGHT"

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/90289-dual-booting-windows-xp-windows-7-problem.html
Relevancy 67.51%

For the last 2 years I've had my PC setup to Dual Boot from either Windows Vista Home Premium Edition x32 or Windows 7 Professional Edition x64. The Windows Vista drive had only a capacity of 34.4GBt and had given up the ghost. So I chose to format and re-install Windows Vista onto this small drive. The drive is working like new but now the PC boots into Vista and I cannot boot into Windows 7. I know that I should get a hold of the Windows 7 installation disk and repair the installation but unfortunately I've been moving around a lot and can find everyone of my installation discs except the Windows 7 Professional. Can anyone offer me advice on how to re-establish my Dual Boot without the use of an installation disc? Any advice would be appreciated.

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 and Windows Vista

You could try Easy BCD. But more then likely you will have to download the Iso and do a startup repair.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/217057-dual-booting-windows-7-windows-vista.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi I just made a new installation of Windows Pro Before installation I had Windows Ultimate bit with same computer specs minus the Samsung SSD disk My intention was to make a dual boot system with both Windows and Windows However due to tiredness and common confusion I think I did some mistakes I don't think I had an Uefi installation so probably an mbr installation of Windows Ok Problems booting 7 8 dual and windows windows so here goes I started with installing the new Samsung SSD disk in my system Problems dual booting windows 8 and windows 7 I forgot to disconnect the other drives before starting Windows installation However at first I could dual boot but I couldnt see my TB disk in Windows I assigned a drive letter to it and then my problems began I can now start Windows and see all disks and use them as well If I try to boot into Windows on my OCZ drive I get a disk error I guess I messed up the mbr boot table My question is how can i fix this best Most important is to not loose my Windows installation I can Always make a new installation of Windows as it is still fresh This is how my system looks now Operating System Microsoft Windows Pro with Media Center -bit CPU Intel Core i K GHz Sandy Bridge nm Technology RAM GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P P DELUXE LGA Graphics MB GeForce GTX ASUStek Computer Inc Hard Drives GB Seagate ST DL - VT SATA GB OCZ-VERTEX SSD GB Samsung SSD PRO Series SSD Optical Drives TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-B L SCSI CdRom Device

A:Problems dual booting windows 8 and windows 7

The ASUS - - ASUS P8P67 DELUXE has a uEFI/BIOS firmware.

How to install Windows 64 bit on a uEFI/BIOS firmware:

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Forums
or
UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/19541-problems-dual-booting-windows-8-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello, I would like to dual boot windows xp and windows 7. I currently am using windows 7 but I would like to install windows xp alongside it on a separate partition. I created the partition in disk management in windows seven and I booted from my xp disk and it goes through the beginning processes and then says entering windows setup and then goes to a blue screen saying that my computer needs to be shutdown. Please help me bypass this or something. Thanks.

A:Dual-Booting Windows XP and Windows 7 Issues

You may have installed Windows Seven in the AHCI mode.
XP will blue screen because the AHCI drivers were not installed for XP.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221625-dual-booting-windows-xp-windows-7-issues.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I have a brand new Dell XPS 8700 with windows 7 pro installed. I am trying to install windows XP pro to be able to dual boot. I have already succesfuly set up new partition and am having trouble with the XP install. After a little while into the installation I get the following message "file acpi.sys is corrupted" and the installation ends and windows 7 reboots. I have done research online and haven't been able to find a specific solution to this error message. I have been given several links to dual booting instructions and none of them include this specific error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi All Recently I installed Windows Pro on my system in a SSD after a few weeks I noticed that the OS Windows later) Installed & 7 7 (With 8 Windows Dual Boot isn't compatible with certain programs I use so I wanted to install Windows Home Premium alongside it Since I don't really want to clean install after installing I installed onto a separate HDD within my case I've now got to the stage of the black background white Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later) text boot menu which shows Windows and Windows but whenever I select Windows it just reboots the PC back to the Boot Splash screen Bios Post screen I've repaired the install with Windows discs and with Windows discs and neither seemed to help I've used EasyBCD installed on Windows to create the boot menu and that doesn't help anything either When Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later) in Windows the Drive letters are such C is Windows W is Windows Short of clean installing I really don't know quite what to do Any suggestions Before it is asked that drives have been in that case since I built it and not moved from a seperate machine Thank you for your help

A:Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later)

Welcome to EightForums.

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management from Windows 8?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums
For better help with problems, Can you post your specs.

Filling out System Specs - Windows 7 Forums

System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14296-dual-boot-windows-7-8-windows-7-installed-later.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi there,

I recently bought a Macbook Pro and have installed a version of Windows 7 which I purchased to put on my old Vaio laptop.
The installation had no troubles and my product key worked. However, it is now telling me that it is unable to activate windows because the product key is not valid with this version of Win7 (or words to that affect).
IS there a way around this at all? It is clearly a 100% genuine version of Win 7 Professional I bought and downloaded from Microsoft.
Someone has suggested that I uninstall it from my old laptop and try again but i cannot because I am selling my old laptop to my parents.
I hope someone can help
Thanks,

Ben

A:Dual booting Windows 7 on Mac

You can't use the same key on two different computers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/70912-dual-booting-windows-7-mac.html
Relevancy 66.65%

My PC is installed with Windows 7 at Drive - C. Today due to necessity I installed XP in Drive - D. After successful installation, I went for restart the system. But after booting, at the firsthand XP is opening. Now there is no scope for me to choose between Windows 7 & XP. How to overcome this ?

A:Dual booting with windows 7 & xp

Is this dual boot setup on one single drive or on two different hard drives? Is the XP install activated as the primary drive? Can you post a screen shot of your disk management window?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/259714-dual-booting-windows-7-xp.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello, I'm new to the forum and blah blah blah who cares. I'm not a computer expert here, so I thought about coming here seeking for help. Anyways, into the topic, I wanted to ask a couple of things about installing Windows XP Home SP2 Upgrade (not full) on a partition (I'll get a cheap old Windows copy for the upgrade to work), with a pre-installed Windows 8 in the other partition.

1) Has anybody tried it? Does it work well? So far I have found no guides on how to do it, but many on how to install XP on Windows 7. Is it the same procedure?

2) I have heard that installing an XP Upgrade will wipe/reformat an entire HD, both partitions as if they were not partitioned/united. Is that true?

A:Dual-booting Windows 8 and XP

No that's not true Windows XP will not wipe both partitions. But you will not have the dualboot option. This tutorial can help I know it is for windows 7 but it will apply to 8 as well Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/16183-dual-booting-windows-8-xp.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Quick note All drives I mention in the post ARE partitions D and E drive are partitions and I only have one HDD Hey guys I'm just wondering about something recently regarding drive letters with XP booting Windows (XP with 7 second) Dual dual boots Lately I installed Windows in dual boot with XP XP was the OS that was installed first When I booted to Windows it started off as C drive and when I booted Dual booting Windows 7 with XP (XP second) back to XP XP was C drive Okay that's sweet I understand that the OS I'm booting to will be the C drive right Now that's really not much of a problem but I also read on Google that you'd also be able to install XP on a quot fixed drive letter quot - sorry if that's by any chance confusing but what I mean is being able to install XP on E drive and when you boot to XP it'll stay as quot E quot and NOT make itself quot C quot Does this particular tutorial achieve that http www howtogeek com howto puter-with-xp I'm curious since Dual booting Windows 7 with XP (XP second) this Vista tutorial seems to mention XP being on a fixed drive letter http www howtogeek com howto windo ista-computer Scroll down on that link and it says quot This is a critical piece of information Windows XP will be installed on the D drive even in Windows XP so you ll need to keep that in mind when tweaking your system quot I'm just wondering if this is the case for the Windows tut as well This is probably the most important thing I want to know though - if I do want to have XP on a quot fixed drive letter quot like E are there any serious disbenefits from this E g - Will quot E quot drive which will be XP interfere with or put boot files in quot C quot drive e g Windows whatsoever - If quot C quot drive Windows somehow magically fails one day will quot E quot drive XP still allow me to boot to it on startup Or will the MBR need fixing Or should I go back to the last method I did and install Windows as the second OS on dual boot and both will be C drive depending on which OS I boot to I know this issue probably sounds really minor and unimportant but I like some things to be perfect Sorry if that's a lot of questions I've done some serious research on Google but I'm still unsure about some stuff Thanks in advance

Relevancy 66.65%

just wondering about the dual booting. ive currently got windows xp installed and im wanting to do a dual boot with windows 98. if it can be done. i have a 80 gig hard drive and its partitioned into 3 sections. am i able to use my one (partitioned) hard drive to do the dual boot. if so how do i do the dual boot???

Relevancy 66.65%

Hi all - so very sorry for the lengthy post but I feel giving necessary information ahead of time can help a lot I spent XP Booting Dual 7 with Windows the better part of yesterday running around the Net and even here for instructions on how to set up a dual boot setup Dual Booting XP with Windows 7 While what I found was great the instructions weren t very helpful to my specific situation I ve never set up a dual boot system so every part of this is new to me and while I m not a novice with computers when it gets into quot installers quot and the inner workings of Windows I get lost I have a - year old super Gateway desktop that came with XP Dual Booting XP with Windows 7 Pro changed it to XP Pro Retail but only have gone as far as SP because SP always gave me problems The system has royally passed the Windows Advisor test except for a couple of printers I have connected to it but the hardware is just fine At the time of purchase in July the system cost me - half of that was for the quot LCD digital analog display alone I ve gutted it out as much as I could over the years and while I d love to upgrade the board processor and memory it being a Gateway is pretty much impossible given the proprietary way they make their systems The system is a XL desktop was considered their top-shelf machine at purchase and now has Gigs of Rambus memory came with one gig I swiped out the OEM video card for an nVidia GeForce Meg AGP x x changed the OEM sound to the Creatives Live Drive Blaster X-Fi Platinum XTreme part SB added a Gig slave HD to the OEM GIG that came with the system changed the OEM power supply to a W with very quot pretty lights quot that I cannot see added an extra fan facing the processor also lights up that is screwed into the screened area on the back of the tower The system has the AGP slot PCI slots all filled the front Firewire port is disconnected because it once connected to the onboard sound and is now tied off The PCI slots are filled with a controller for the G HD the mobo only quot sees quot G so I added the controller to fix that it has a -port USB card and a -port Firewire card in the slots as well the Creative setup also has a PCI card as well as the Live Drive taking up a - quot bay There is one of two OEM DVD CD burners still in it along with a Memorex -function DL burner I added as well as the floppy drive The burner I pulled out can write DL DVDs in cartridges There currently is an Epson scanner and one of two HP printers attached to it with the Microsoft Elite KB mouse wireless combo setup attached to it The processor is a G Pentium single core that I d love to upgrade but can t This system has low quot mileage quot on it because I have other desktops and a laptop all are Gateways plus it not having SP on it and hasn t been cleaned off since September has made it so I haven t used it very much Every time I put SP on it would crash so I left it off all this time I knew once I formatted the system I could and would install it then It does get online perfectly and I m running Kaspersky Internet Security on it with other systems PC license What I want to do is format both drives and run XP Pro Retail and Windows Retail on the system it would have to be bit of course I know it can run both OSs but my problem is that all instructions I found were about making a partition for quot quot from within an existing install of XP and going on from there I cannot find any instance where XP and Seven were set up as a dual boot on two separate HDs after a format of both HDs and I have no idea where to start I also found many sites that gave instructions for running virtual operating systems which isn t necessary given the two HDs I have I own Ontrack s Data Eraser software and their recovery application and do plan on running the Eraser on both drives given the junk that was on that system and data removed just yesterday and backed up The system is ready for formatting I have both operating systems ready both HDs are backed... Read more

A:Dual Booting XP with Windows 7

Hello LadyKeys,

I'm by no means the authority on this subject, but I have been success in completing this very task of dual booting XP & 7. I currently dual boot Win. XP 32bit & Win 7 64bit.

Solution: The trick, as with all basic Windows dual boot setups (without using special boot manager software), is that the older OS must be installed first, in this case Windows XP. Also, I believe Windows XP must be installed on the primary drive (I have all SATA drives and I did not get the dual boot menu when XP was installed on the drive assigned to port 1 vs port 0. I had to specify in the BIOS which drive to boot from in order to get to the specific OS). After you have Windows XP installed then install Windows 7 on the secondary/slave drive and that should be it. At boot up you should get a boot menu with an option to boot to an "Earlier Version of Windows" or Windows 7.

Note: Both drives should be connected when you install Windows 7 so that Windows 7 will detect the Windows XP partition and setup the boot manager accordingly. Finally, take care not to install Windows 7 on the same drive/partition as Windows XP during the Windows 7 installation.

Good luck,
Technine22

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/292986/dual-booting-xp-with-windows-7/
Relevancy 66.65%

ok guys and gals im new here so go easy on me. i have managed to set up a windows 7 on a dual boot with vista. everything is working properly, but all my drive letters are different. i installed an extra hard drive to store media on. i want that hard drive to be same letter in windows 7 as it is in vista, so i can get my itunes library to work. when i go to disk management the drive letter i want to switch it to is unavailable. any advice would be nice. Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 and Dual Booting

Here's a link to a help item for changing the drive letters in Vista: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...f110521033.mspxAs I understand it, the process is just about the same for Windows 7.Hope this helps.Cheers,RonWindows Outreach Team

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/224856/windows-7-and-dual-booting/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi everyone I was hoping someone could walk me through the process of getting my computer to dual boot XP and Windows See I had this old Packard Bell Legend CD A model from back in that was sitting around for years A few days ago I got curious about what was still on it and tried Windows Xp Booting Dual With to boot it up Battery was dead Oh well Dual Booting With Windows Xp So I pull out the hard drive and put it in y newer computer and it s still fine It does have an install of windows already on it and what I Dual Booting With Windows Xp want to do is tell my computer to boot only that drive and run the windows instead of the XP already on my current hard drive I don t know if this is possible but I ll list some information about my current computer to help anyone along who may be interested in helping me with this Current Computer Compaq Pressario S V GB RAM GHz Pentium Windows XP Home Edition SP drives are listed as basic and my new hard drive has GB s to spare with one partition THe new drive FAT The Old drive FAT also it s mb lol I currently have my older drive set to boot first Chip Set G Chipset COmponents- memory controller G GE GL GV I O Controller DB ICH The Drive with Windows was pulled from a box with FOD x I also have access to a variety of DOS bootdisks I was pretty young when DOS was the way of the world so I never really learned much about but if they can help they re at our disposal If there s any other information you need just ask and I ll be happy to get it to you I know I will probably have to edit my Boot ini and have been trying to learn more about it but I m finding it difficult to figure out what these paths mean t any rate thanks for considering my request for help Matt

A:Dual Booting With Windows Xp

I think it will be easier to replace the battery in the old computer than it would be to get the old hard drive to boot on the new computer.

Normally for dual booting xp the older OS needs to be installed first, then an XP install will detect the existing installation and let you set up dual booting.

IMHO Win 95 was a horribly buggy OS and deserved to die well before it was replaced by the bug-ridden Win 98.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/56324/dual-booting-with-windows-xp/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi, I am considering dual booting windows 32 bit and 64 bit, each on a separate drive. How do I go about this? can I simply pop in the dvd and choose a drive, and it knows to bring up a dual boot menu? Are there any considerations?
Also, I would like to move my games, is this possible? Do i have to install again, and for steam games download them again?
Also, are SSD drives worth it? Thanks and sorry for noob questions.

A:Dual booting 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7

Hi,

Yeah you can install two separate OS's on separate drives but why do you want a 64bit and 32bit OS of Win7? Win7 64bit allows you to use 32bit options for installing games etc. anyway so essentially it already does both 32bit and 64bit in the one OS. But if you want to continue then read this post Dual Boot Windows 7 & XP on Different Drives?

This I found out for someone just yesterday but they were installing 7 and XP on separate HDD's but i'm sure the principles are exactly the same. As for moving games you would have to re-install the games on the other HDD but you can take the save files from the games folder in C: /Programs/whatever game it is, put them on a flash drive or dvd then copy them across to the exact same folder on the other HDD.

Hope this Helps

Steve

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-booting-32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-7-a-629935.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Okay Guys I Was Trying To Dual Booting My Computer Originally It Was Windows And I Wanted To Add The Mac On It I Used A Program Called quot iATKOS v quot Or Something Like That Everything Worked Just Fine After I Try It Around Times I Restarted Finally My Computer Found Lines - Windows Ultimate - NTS Mac OS I Was So Happy That FINALLY The Dual Boot Worked When I Pressed It One New Problem Put An End To My Happiness On The Screen We Can See That quot Before You Begin Press the key immediately to the right of A Mac OS I 7 + Windows Help X HELP!! Please Booting: Need Dual In the Shift key on the left side of the keyboard that can't be identified Press the key only once and do not hold down the key for a long time When the key is recognized the next panel will appear quot And A Picture Of Shift And A Button On The Right Of The Shift Key Is Marked Like They Say To Me To Press It And In The Bottom Of The Page They Say Identifying your keyboard It Had Been Around Hours And Nothing Appeared I Tried All Keys In The Keyboard And Nothing Shows Up Any Help Please I Will Really Really Really Appreciate It And By The Way The Key On The Right Of The Left Shift Is Not The quot Z quot Key

A:Please HELP!! I Need A Help In Dual Booting: Windows 7 + Mac OS X

Why not use bootcamp?
Apple - Support - Boot Camp

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/160045-please-help-i-need-help-dual-booting-windows-7-mac-os-x.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I currently have XP, considering upgrading to 7 (64bit)

I'm a little scared i'm not going to like 7 so want to hang on to XP as a back-up.

What I want to know is, using cloning software (I think i'll either use the seagate software as I have a hardrive or two of theirs (Acronis) or XXClone) can I clone my XP system on to a separate hardrive, upgrade to 7 from there and boot from the separate HDD's while I decide?

Will the licences get grumpy cos i'm running from the same copy of XP?

I've never actually tried cloning before so i'm also a little worried that the XP clone wont work to start with (after forking out for a new HDD to clone to)

Thanks in advance

A:Dual Booting XP Windows 7

The best way would be to make another partition for Windows 7 then do a clean install of Windows 7. But make sure your system will handle and is compatible with Windows 7 before installing using Windows 7 Advisor.

How to setup dual boot for Windows XP and Windows 7.

Note in the illustration it shows to use Windows 7 DVD. I recommend using Windows XP to shrink the volume (Partition) Partition Wizard Home Edition to resize (Shrink) the volume to make a suitable partition for Windows 7 I recommend at least 60GB for Windows 7. Make sure your Hard drives or the partition which XP is on is big enough and has enough room to make a partition for Windows 7.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-booting-xp-windows-7-a-648482.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello Apologies if this is in the wrong area I am new to this site so please move this if appropriate I have recently just upgraded to a new laptop due to my old laptop years old running windows has dual 7 and 10 booting windows been giving me overheating issues for what seems like an eternity This new laptop a HP with intel i has Windows The laptop runs a lot cooler than my old Windows laptop however some of the older games that I have which work fine on windows do not on windows Since my laptop has a TB hard drive I dual booting windows 7 and 10 am thinking about dual booting Windows and on the same laptop I know this is possible dual booting windows 7 and 10 but I have never performed a dual boot setup on a laptop before and am worried I might mess things up Can someone on here please give me some detailed help on performing a dual boot This would assume partitioning the hard drive into C Windows approx TB D Recovery partition for already installed and F TB for Windows The E drive is my DVD writer Thanks in advance for your help

A:dual booting windows 7 and 10

Hi spotify95, welcome to Ten Forums. These are from the tutorial forums. The first to add a partition. Partition or Volume - Create New - Windows 7 Help Forums . The second to dual boot. Just substitute win 7 for win 10 where it appears since the tutorial is for adding a win 10 to an existing win 7 system. Windows 10 - Dual Boot with Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Windows 10 Forums .

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/31861-dual-booting-windows-7-10-a.html
Relevancy 66.65%

hey guys, Im upgrading a computer, went to 1gig proc, new motherboard, ram, etc.. I put in a 60 gig HD and have a 8gig also. the 60 will have win2000 installed on it, the 8 has 2000 already installed, do I have to redo the 8 gig as win 95 or 98 in order to set it up as dual boot? and how do I set it up for dual boot, I cant remember .... please help!!!!

Relevancy 66.65%

Hello I have looked through the forums but have not seen this exact problem listed I hope someone can help me I bought a new computer kit last month and after I got it all together I installed Windows Pro It has the AMD A - Quad core CPU gb of RAM on an MSI A MA-G motherboard and a tb SATA HDD One of the first things I had to booting and Windows XP 7 Dual do after installing the Dual booting Windows 7 and XP OS was to flash the BIOS on the MB I have everything the way I want it on the computer now and made a backup image of the C drive For the most part everything is good with Win The only thing I don't like is with the sound card I like to sing Karaoke on a website but I couldn't get the quot What you hear quot function on the onboard sound card So I bought a SB X-Fi XtremeGamer I have the WYH function now but my voice coming through the headphones has a lag that throws me off So I have decided that I want to do a dual boot with Windows XP I have read many tutorials that tell how to do a dual boot setup so I set out to do that When going into the WinXP setup I was having a problem with the hard drive So I decided to reformat the hard drive and install the winXP first then just install the Win backup afterwards WinXP saw the hard drive and had me do the partition and format then winxp installed fine no problems Ok one problem It installed on the C drive It didn't give me another option And I know when I go to put the backup of WIN back on it will want to be on the C drive also I have it setup the way I want it and really don't want to have to setup both OS's again So I again formatted the HD installed Win again then installed the backup image I am back to where I was at the beginning I partitioned the HDD into separate drives C D E and F When I go in to install WINXP the installer sees the hard drive but it shows the partitions as D Partition NTFS MB MB free - Partition NTFS MB MB free C Partition NTFS MB MB free E Partition NTFS MB MB free The only partition it will let me install it on is C Partition And that would wipe out WIN So my question is How do I get the XP installer to see the partitions or would it be better to just install another HDD maybe a gb SATA drive and just install WinXP on that Would I still be able to do the dual boot that way

A:Dual booting Windows 7 and XP

Hello ShdwKnght, welcome to Seven Forums!

You really screwed yourself by forcing a 5th partition and accepting a Dynamic disk; XP will probably stop booting before long and I doubt you'll be able to get Windows 7 installed at all as-is; do you have good back-ups of everything on the entire HDD?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/180578-dual-booting-windows-7-xp.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi I know there is a thread on this related to a very good tutorial and 7 WIndows Dual XP Booting which I used to set up my dual boot with Dual Booting WIndows 7 and XP DualBoot Pro in the first place Unfortunately the thread is so long that it gets to the point of not being very helpful so I thought it best to create a new topic I tried to use my xp Dual Booting WIndows 7 and XP system for the first time the other evening and it wouldn't boot Just kept booting into Win main system I got into a bit of a pickle using dualboot pro to try to change the drive for the xp system and I also tried creating a Windows Legacy boot loader on the partition on whcih XP resides All I succeeded in doing was stopping Win from booting as ntdlr could not be found I fixed this by restoring the win mbr from command prompt but now I need to work out what's wrong DUALBOOTPRO boot info - does this indicate what is wrong Why can I not boot into the XP system when I select it on the start up dos screen Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier bootmgr device partition C description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit globalsettings default current resumeobject - fd - df- d -a ea c displayorder current ntldr toolsdisplayorder memdiag timeout Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier current device partition C path Windows system winload exe description Windows x locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings recoverysequence - fd - df- d -a ea c recoveryenabled Yes osdevice partition C systemroot Windows resumeobject - fd - df- d -a ea c nx OptIn Windows Legacy OS Loader ------------------------ identifier ntldr device partition G path ntldr description Windows XP

A:Dual Booting WIndows 7 and XP

Hve you tried Easy bcd??

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/130094-dual-booting-windows-7-xp.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello Apologies if this is in the wrong area I don't post here that often so please move this if appropriate I have recently just upgraded to a new laptop due to my old laptop years old running windows has been giving me overheating issues for what seems like an eternity This new laptop a HP with intel i has Windows The laptop runs a lot cooler than my old Windows laptop however some of the older games that I have which work fine on windows do not on windows Since my laptop has a TB hard drive I am thinking about dual booting Windows and on the same laptop I know this is possible but I have never performed a dual boot setup on a laptop before and am worried I might mess things up Can someone on here please give me some detailed help on performing 10 7 booting windows Dual and a dual boot This would assume partitioning the hard drive into C Windows approx TB D Recovery partition for already installed and F TB for Windows The E drive is my DVD writer Thanks in advance for your help

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/386646-dual-booting-windows-7-10-a.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi, I am currently using a lenovo G570 running windows 7 and it comes with all partitions fuul so i can not create a new one. from what i know i need to install windows 8 in another disk partition but i cant create one... how can i do the dual boot or modify the existing partitions?

A:dual booting windows 7 & 8

If your harddisk is full, you cannot create another partition. You need to format the old one and install it in newly formatted partition. (warning! All data on the formatted partition will lost!) But move out all important data before doing so.

Thank you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515122/dual-booting-windows-7-8/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi and thanks for reading and helping.

I created a new 300gb partition on my 1tb hdd currently running windows 7 and installed XP Pro onto the new partition using the standard methods.

After the XP install everything booting into XP and has been working fine, all drivers are installed and 2 hours later everything in smooth as butter...

Except I can't figure out for the life of me (after 10+ google searches) figure out how to get back into my original windows 7 install. I can't seem to get windows boot manager to come up when I boot.

Suggestions?? ^_^

A:windows 7 dual booting help.

Run the Windows 7 Startup Repair.
Startup Repair

Once you're running Windows 7
Add XP with EasyBCD
EasyBCD - Take control of your boot loader | NeoSmart Technologies
No need to register, just select "Download"

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/236330-windows-7-dual-booting-help.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Is it possible to dual boot Windows 7 Pro, one partition being a 32 bit system, and one being a 64 bit?
I have a program that just won't run on 64 bit, and my processor doesn't allow for Virtual PC, so can I have a separate partition with 32 bit Windows 7 Pro running?

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit)

Yes its possible to dual boot Windows 7 32bit and 64 bit. Install Windows 7 64bit on one partition. Then shrink that partition and install Windows 7 32bit to the new (shrinked) partition. Also, use VMWare player or Sun Virtualbox to run Virtual OS. No need of any Virtualization support CPU.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/37806-dual-booting-windows-7-32-64-bit.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello;
I'm building a Dual boot machine with windows 7 Pro. and 10 Pro.  i dived a 1TB drive, installing windows 7 Pro goes great,7 up and running..... after loading windows 10 Pro on the second Partition..( 10 runs grate) But now  I can not restart windows
7 from the boot menu, The system gives me a "system and or drivers can not be verified"  using F8 to try to Disable vitrification just takes me in a loop to the advanced boot menu..   How can i get past this????......

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/86eb2c80-2f6c-4a9a-bc9a-d954c44e6061/dual-booting-windows-7-and-10?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 66.65%

I've been following this guide:
Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista

The problem is that when I go to install Windows 8 it doesn't recognize the partition I made. This is the partition I made.

This is what it looks like when I go to install Windows 8 on that partition.

Neither of the 2 partitions I made appear on that list. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated. I would really like to try this out before I decide that I want to purchase it.

A:Help dual booting Windows 8

Hello ScoobyDoo, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The 39.06 GB unallocated space on Disk 0 doesn't show up since you already have the max of 4 primary partition on the disk. You could use METHOD TWO in the tutorial below to create a logical partition with the unallocated space instead that should show up afterwards.
Partition / Extended : Logical Drives - Windows 7 Forums

I'm not sure what the unallocated space on Disk 1 is not showing up though. Creating a new simple volume with the unallocated space to format it should have it show up afterwards.

Partition or Volume - Create New - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/10276-help-dual-booting-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi guys,

I am currently using Windows 7 but have had to install Windows XP due to some programs not working with Windows 7. I have fully installed Windows XP but at start up it does not give me an option to choose between the two and automatically loads up XP. Is there anyway i can sort this out.

Thanks for your help in advance.

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 & XP

Welcome!

See this tutorial: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

You can also try running a Startup Repair on Windows 7. If the repair doesn't work, try setting the 7 partition as active: http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...-problems.html

Hope this helps,
~JK

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/66495-dual-booting-windows-7-xp.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I currently have Windows Ultimate bit installed on my computer on a SSD drive and I'm trying to install Windows Server on a second hard drive regular SATA II HDD When I boot with the Windows Server CD everything seems to be fine it pops-up the usual blue screen and the drivers are loading but once the drivers are done loading I get this error message quot A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears booting 7? Dual Windows with again follow these steps Check for viruses on your computer Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and Dual booting with Windows 7? terminated Run CHKDSK F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer Technical informaiton STOP X B XF EA XC X X quot Any idea why this message pops-up and prevents me from installing Windows server Is it possible to have a dual boot with Windows and Windows Server Any help would be much appreciated If more info is needed let me know

A:Dual booting with Windows 7?

The generally accepted method, or at least the one I personally use, is to always install the older OS first, then install 7 afterwards.
The win 7 bootmgr won't have issues allowing the older OS to boot. However, the older OS is very likely to cause problems for windows 7 if attempting to write to boot sectors over it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/163854-dual-booting-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Right now as it is, my C drive is divided into C and D. On the C is my Windows ME, under properties tab it says Local disk, FAT32 Used 1.89 GB free space 13.66GB. Under D properties tab it says, Local, RAW Used 48.0 KB, free space 21.66GB. I want to dual boot Me with NT. I put my 3 floppy disks in, everything goes all right, except for a 1024 cyclinders? It says it is not an error but could cause it not to work right, but go ahead and push enter. The other problem that I am having is when it comes to the Partitioning stuff. What kind of information would you need to help me partition this hard drive so it will work. I have tried doing it the way I think, but then it finds and error and tells you to exit out. I'm new at this, but really need to get it to work. Thanks.

A:Dual booting with Windows ME

The easy way would be to use a program like partition magic. It will allow you to move and add partitions without losing anything you already have on the harddrive. After you create any extra partitions you want, start me and then run the xp setup, select advanced so you can pick that you want to select the drive where you want to install it. You can put it on the D driver and use anyother partitions you created for storage.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-booting-with-windows-me.145147/
Relevancy 66.22%

My sister's Dell inspiron was having issues with power It would not charge the battery but used the plug supply and 7 saying booting recovering 0 installed Windows not os or would shut off when not plugged in Well one faithful day last week it wouldn't come on at all okay it comes on and shuts of immediately after had weird orange light That is all just background info Yesterday morning Windows 7 not booting or recovering saying 0 os installed I turned in on and it stayed on but wouldn't boot I kept getting the launch startup repair option start windows normally was also Windows 7 not booting or recovering saying 0 os installed an option but it always brought me back to this same screen After looking online a bit using the windows disk that came with the laptop I was able to follow some posts and get out of that death loop I then kept getting the message quot bootmgr missing press ctrl alt del to restart quot death loop using cmd I was able Windows 7 not booting or recovering saying 0 os installed to copy it straight off the disk into the computer so I no longer get that message I now get a quot use install cd to repair file boot bcd status xc Info the windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid OS entry My os is C My recovery is D The disk I am using to repair is in E I have Boot X that comes up f is for usb and none are in I already tried bootrec RebuildBCD it's how I got past the other loops along with running chkdsk Drive i did c d f r I cannot run this check for x protected At the end of the checks it looks correct with the exception of the Failed to transfer logged messages to event with status line I cannot run sfc scan due to pending blah blah blah reboot required restart computer restart does zippo I already tried all the bootrec fix in cmd f last known good configure sends me to the external disk E Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically lt ---tried many many times System recovery options menu has no os in the list When load drivers is selected as it tells you to do all my C D X E F come up and are explore able but anything you select you get the THE SPECIFIED LOCATION DOES NOT CONTAIN INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR HARDWARE message Please help I don't want her to lose everything by just fresh installing If someone knows how to fix the bcd that would be awesomesauce yes I'm a noob

A:Windows 7 not booting or recovering saying 0 os installed

Well. I used a tutorial and bootloader has been completely removed and rebuilt from scratch now. At restart I now get the message: 1. insert your ......blah ..blah ..blah and

File: \windows\system\winload.exe
Info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt
I used Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/236274-windows-7-not-booting-recovering-saying-0-os-installed.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello guys,

I have recently dual booted windows 7 alongside my preinstalled windows 8 edition. The problem is that I have no network , USB bus drivers, or graphics adapter. I have the page with my computer specs, but I am not sure that hp has drivers for windows 7 on the driver support page.

HP 15.6 Laptop Win 8 AMD A6 Processor 8GB RAM 1TB HD ? QVC.com

Thanks.

A:Need help! Need windows 7 drivers after dual booting!

Hi

Assuming you installed Windows 7 x64 , please try the below drivers.

Chipset : AMD Chipset Drivers

Display : http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63910.exe

or ( if the above one failed to install ) Mobile

After installing/trying these drivers, please upload a system information report to identify the missing drivers. To do that enter Msinfo32.exe in the RUN dialogue and Microsoft "System Info" tool will open. Choose "File -->Save" and attach the report with next reply.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/45701-need-help-need-windows-7-drivers-after-dual-booting.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I currently have windows k installed on my computer I have two hard drives The bigger one gb is formatted in NTFS and the smaller one gb is formatted in FAT Windows k is installed on the NTFS drive and I just want to install windows on the other drive to make playing my old DOS games much easier I ve checked other places on the web and I am under the impression that in order to do this kind of dual boot I have to install Windows on the correct partition in this case my smaller hard drive first and then I have to REINSTALL windows k I would think that it would be much easier than that But can someone give me some details into what I have to 2000 95 Dual-booting + Windows do I don t mind reinstalling windows k if that s what I have to do but I just want to know if I really have to And when I reinstall windows k would it just overwrite the old win k files It would be great if someone could give me some detailed instructions as to how to go about this operation but Dual-booting Windows 2000 + 95 if not that s ok because I m sure I can figure it out But I would like to know about my main question Thank you for your time nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

I Have a CPU it was Windows 7 Home Premium installed , i Got windows 8 downloaded from Microsoft . I installed it without a CD . I Extracted the .iso file and Just Click Setup.exe , it was really slow so i left it at my house , when i ome Home it enters windows 8 Home Screen . I am really confused , i thinks its gonna ask me Custom or Upgrade but when I'm home it just ask me what color do you want for your theme . I Inserted the windows 7 CD and Installed on drive B: ( B is a hard disk i made with diskmngmnt.exe ) and it boots to windows 7 , i want to shut down my CPU . I turned it back On ( Restart ) and it just shows me a black screen . Any help Please ?? ASAP

A:Windows 8&7 Dual Booting Won't Start-up

oh man... tell me why did you really install window 7 ? windows 8 installation was completed and it was just asking how to personalize... try startup repair with your win7 DVD(do it 3-4 times separately, with a restart between each repair time )... and also boot into windows 8 and turn off fast startup.
hope it helps.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/26541-windows-8-7-dual-booting-wont-start-up.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I'm not quite sure where to begin. First of all, I'm currently running Windows 98. We recently purchased a camera for a very good deal and came to find out that the camera does not work with Windows 98. We're having to install Windows XP. However, we do not want to lose any information on Windows 98 and wish to keep it on the computer.

I've read up on this a bit and I'm not quite sure what it means by partitioning volume in order for the Op Systems to not be running one on top of the other. Can someone lead me to a possible program that does this and what exactly I will encounter once the partition is complete?

Thank you.

A:Dual-booting - Adding Xp To Windows 98

What exactly is it that you want to keep from Windows 98

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/73135/dual-booting-adding-xp-to-windows-98/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi I have been to Windows Replace but XP with Booting Dual Want 7 dual booting Dual Booting but Want to Replace XP with Windows 7 XP Pro -bit and Vista Ultimate -bit for some time now but haven't really found a good way to delete XP Pro my first installed os leaving my Vista os able to boot up normally I have scoured the forums and was about to delete a lot of files from the XP partition but leaving the loader files and root files alone This Dual Booting but Want to Replace XP with Windows 7 would enable me to free up a lot of drive space Currently the os's reside on a RAID setup one partition for XP and another for Vista OK so I have found the Windows forums and thinks that it would be good idea to replace XP with Windows but the upgrade options for the Beta do not allow upgrade to Windows from XP If I upgraded XP to Vista -bit what would happen to my boot files etc etc and could I then further upgrade to Windows leaving that and Vista -bit dual booting together Or is this a complicated way to do things What I really want to do is delete XP Pro - I am rather fond of Vista now and seems very stable But I do not want to be faced with boot problems after deleting I currently have installed on both os's Acronis's OS Selector and BCD Edit I really need a very accurate method rather than a theoretical answer - someone who has done this successfully please I have spent too long wading through forums looking for a way of successfully deleting XP and receiving maybe this will work or maybe that type of answers Cheers roz

A:Dual Booting but Want to Replace XP with Windows 7

Hello Rozel and welcome to the Sevenforums.

Deleting an XP installation while already having a vista one, is very simple.

You probably are already using Vista's BCD boot loader to boot your PC with the 2 OSes.

So, you should be able to simple delete the XP folders on the XP partition and you're done.

You won't have any problems with Vista booting, and even if you do, the "startup repair" option does the trick from the Vista's Boot DVD.

If you fullfil the following criteria:

a) 2 partitions, one having XP , one having Vista
b) Booting with Vista's Boot Loader (BCD)

then you just delete the XP partition or folders completely, and you're done.

After doing so, you might want to delete the boot entry also, so you don't see a non-existing OS selection at startup. To do so, log on to Vista and open Command Prompt with administrative rights and type:

bcdedit /delete {ntldr} /f

Done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/4348-dual-booting-but-want-replace-xp-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I have having XP Windows 7 dual problem a with and booting I'm a problem and would greatly appreciate any help I'm using a new hard drive and doing a completely fresh install I started with Windows - all went fine After sorting out drivers rebooting a few times etc I created the partition for XP rebooted and installed Told XP setup to install to the new partition It got to the point where it finished copying all the files and rebooted Then I got the quot error loading operating system quot error It will load neither XP nor I tried booting from the disc and doing a startup repair so I can fix things within using EasyBCD I'm having a problem with dual booting XP and Windows 7 but it didn't work - the repair software says it can't find I'm having a problem with dual booting XP and Windows 7 a problem and upon rebooting I still can't get into XP or Any suggestions edit I tried the advice in this post but it didn't help http forums techarena in operating tm post edit For some reason Windows startup repair utility detects its installation as being on F - my DVD drive when it is in fact installed to C XP is installed onto a partion allocated to G and its own repair console recognises that correctly as well as also detecting as being on F edit The driver letters keep changing I've just gone into the XP partition setup in the recovery console and in the install menu both a couple of times in a row and they keep changing Also the boot order just got changed in the BIOS and my OS drive somehow moved to the lowest priority hard drive below my two storage drives

A:I'm having a problem with dual booting XP and Windows 7

Well, I got back into Windows 7 by deleting the XP partition. All ship-shape in disk management. Not sure what to do now to get XP running as well, though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/70988-im-having-problem-dual-booting-xp-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I am thinking of running windows xp and linux on the same hard drive. I know I load windows first, but is there a boot loader that will allow me to choose which os I want to load up at start up?

Relevancy 65.79%

Background There were some power failures last week which caused some errors on my hdd and I spent days reading this forum trying to fix my windows boot I finally 7 installation Windows booting the same Dual fixed it after running chkdisk through a Windows repair disk after trying various other solutions to no avail Thankfully no files were lost Besides Dual booting the same Windows 7 installation the most important stuff was backed up I have an anxiety disorder and I work solely on the PC This incident Dual booting the same Windows 7 installation was very hard on my health so I want to make sure that whatever happens I can get to work So I had an idea Idea A while back I was reading about dual booting and it seemed quite interesting So I've had this Dual booting the same Windows 7 installation idea I have a TB HDD It has two partitions quot System Reserved quot and quot C quot I create a new partition called G of let's say GB I then transfer my music videos photos to an external drive I uninstall all unnecessary programms games from C I make sure C has about - GB of used space Afterwards I make a system image using either the Windows built-in tool or Macrium Reflect Acronis and transfer all my media back to C Could I then restore that system image on the new partition The end result I want to achieve is to have a quot backup windows installation quot If something happens to my Main installation I can get to work on the second one Of course I backup my work to an external drive everyday I don't want to lose any more working days A friend of mine suggested a virtual machine but I want to be able to play games on the second installation and I heard that you can't play d intensive games on a virtual machine without at least the neccessary hardware I know my idea seems a bit weird but it would really help me if this were possible I would buy a new internal drive and make clone of the current one but I'm low on money currently Anyway I hope someone can help me either with this or with another solution Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/393872-dual-booting-same-windows-7-installation.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I tried to install Linux on a separate partition in my HDD which is already having windows 8 pro, but while installing instead of showing the free space(which I've partitioned ) it's taking entire HDD into consideration. How can I install Linux without formatting HDD or removing windows 8.

A:Dual booting (Windows 8 pro and linux)

Here is a nice tutorial for installing Linux Mint 17 with Windows 8.1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uh...If you are new to Linux, Mint is an excellent "starter" distribution.Don C

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/dual-booting-windows-8-pro-and-linux/2085.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello,
Sorry if this is not in the correct section, I just didn't really know what to put it. A year ago I installed windows 7 and XP (Dualboot) and now I want to remove XP because I stop using completely (for the last 8 months). The problem is that my hard drive is partitioned into 3 sectors (Windows XP/Windows 7/ SOFTWARE). Anyone know how i can format the XP sector or delete it? When I try to remove folders from the XP sect while I am in 7, it gives me errors, and I've tried to format it while in 7 and it doesn't work. Any Ideas on what I can do?
Thanks for the Help

A:Dual Booting Windows XP and 7, Want to remove XP

when you setup the dual boot what order did you install the os?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-booting-windows-xp-and-7-want-to-remove-xp-512823.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi guys I have a big problem since and I just can t fix it I have a dual boot system and use Windows as my main OS and on the other ssd I have ubuntu installed My issue started because I completely forgot that I had ubuntu installed on the Windows booting BOOT not - DUAL 8 other ssd didn t use it anyway and tried to raid the ssd so now I can t boot anything and I do need to restore my w I have a usb recovery disk which allows me to use cmd but I don t know how to use to recover my W so that DUAL BOOT - Windows 8 not booting s why I am here I ran diskpart on cmd it it shows both disks and both are ONLINE Ran DUAL BOOT - Windows 8 not booting chkdsk f but i keep getting an error and chkdsk does not run I have asus P Z -V LX UEFI Mobo Intel rapid Smart technology RST Intel Smart Connect Technoly is disabled CSM is ENABLED it was AUTO and boot device control to UEFI and LEGACY OpROM Secure Boot is disabled and I changed the OS type to OTHER OS and also tried WINDOWS UEFI MODE The setup mode is EZ MODE Please can someone help me to get my W working Thanks

A:DUAL BOOT - Windows 8 not booting

Set you bios to UEFI defaults and follow the instructions in your mobo manual for creating a raid set and configuring the associated raid options. Now, if you "tried all that already", then consider just changing you sata mode to ahci and do the install to a single drive just to get you up and running. You manual offers clear and concise instructions on how to do all of the above. Download the manual here:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8...rt_Download_36

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/31262-dual-boot-windows-8-not-booting.html
Relevancy 65.79%

In the firm i work in.I was asked to install Windows XP and win 2000 pro on a Pentium IV machine
with 80 GB hdd.I was also instructed to load XP as primary partition(as C and then win 2000.
After installing windows Xp and then installing win 2000,i find that i am not able to boot into Windows XP(although the dual boot screen appears)
this is the message i am getting
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\windows\system32\config\systemd start up options for windows"
Why is this? I was told that windows 2000 has to be loaded before Win XP but the project requirement dictates that Win XP has to be installed on C: .
please do suggest how i can accomplish this.

A:dual booting windows XP and win 2k prof

Partition the drive, install W2K on D: first, then install WXP on C:, problem solved.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-booting-windows-xp-and-win-2k-prof.131145/
Relevancy 65.79%

I have Windows 10 installed on HD1 (Samsung) and working will.
I had a second HD2 (WD) with Win7 installed for a dual boot operation.
For some reason, I could never successfully boot into Win7. Out of frustration I decided to format the Win7 drive and start over.

The problem now is I cannot install Win7 on the HD2 drive. When I choose F12 on boot up and select the WD disk, a screen appears saying "Windows Boot Manager" It instructs me to insert my Win7 install disk an reboot.

Next steps:
I insert the Win7 install disk and reboot using F12 to select the WD disk.
The "Windows Boot Manager" screen appears again with the same instructions as above!
If I reboot again and do nothing, the system will boot to Windows 10.
My question, how to install Win7 on the WD disk and then setup a dual boot operation?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

A:How to install Win 7 on a second HD for dual booting with Windows 10 ?

Originally Posted by jim1931

I have Windows 10 installed on HD1 (Samsung) and working will.
I had a second HD2 (WD) with Win7 installed for a dual boot operation.
For some reason, I could never successfully boot into Win7. Out of frustration I decided to format the Win7 drive and start over.

The problem now is I cannot install Win7 on the HD2 drive. When I choose F12 on boot up and select the WD disk, a screen appears saying "Windows Boot Manager" It instructs me to insert my Win7 install disk an reboot.

Next steps:
I insert the Win7 install disk and reboot using F12 to select the WD disk.
The "Windows Boot Manager" screen appears again with the same instructions as above!
If I reboot again and do nothing, the system will boot to Windows 10.
My question, how to install Win7 on the WD disk and then setup a dual boot operation?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Hi there.

is the HD2 a GPT drive -- I think W7 can't boot to a GPT formatted drive but can of course use them. If I'm wrong on this (I don't dual boot any more --preferring to use VM's or simply slide a HDD caddy into one of my bays on a microserver) I'm sure there's some sort of restriction with GPT and W7 --maybe the GPT HDD has to be the first one.

If I'm 100% wrong here - then please ignore - but I do remember something in the past about W7 and booting from GPT HDD's.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/40506-how-install-win-7-second-hd-dual-booting-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Well nobody in the Ubuntu forums could help me so I thought maybe you fine folks here could. I have a 120 g ssd that I have tried several times to install Ubuntu on and cannot do it, no way , any way, whatsoever! I know the disks I have burned are good. I have a GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Gigabyte motherboard. I have changed settings in the BIOS and any thing I could think of to no avail. I have dual booted Ubuntu on every computer I have ever built but not this one! Huh uh! Anyone have thoughts on this? It's totally unnecessary, I just like to play around with Ubuntu. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

A:Dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04.2

Try this - just substitute LinuxMint for Ubuntu:

Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/279680-dual-booting-windows-7-ubuntu-12-04-2-a.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello everryone!
I am running Windows XP and would really like to share the hard drive with another OS "Linux" and dual boot. Trouble is i don't have a clue so would appreciate any help or even a tutorial that this old git can follow. Thanks folks

A:Dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu

xlanou said:

Hello everryone!
I am running Windows XP and would really like to share the hard drive with another OS "Linux" and dual boot. Trouble is i don't have a clue so would appreciate any help or even a tutorial that this old git can follow. Thanks folksClick to expand...

Hello there i see you would like to dual boot with another operating system, this is a rather simple process.
Choose which operating system you would like to dual boot with windows (in your case this is Ubuntu)

Next boot off the Ubuntu live cd and wait till it enters the main desktop where it gives you the option to install it.

Then just follow the instructions, thats all I did and it worked fine.

When you come to the bit where you need to partition let Ubuntu do it automatically as i think that it does have that feature.

When you have installed it and rebooted you will get a grub loading message then you will get the chance to boot windows xp or Ubuntu and away you go.

Let us know how far you get and we will try and help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-booting-windows-xp-and-ubuntu.678323/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi there,
I had windows 7 installed on a new partition on my pc which had XP Pro on the C drive. After removing windows 7 home premium and deleting the partition, I still get a choice at bootup -
use older windows version
0r windows 7
I have to choose the older version every time I boot up which is very annoying.
My question is does anybody know a fail safe way of removing this 'choice' so it boots straight in to XP?

I do have an XP disc but it's only XP Pro Sp 1. I downloaded Sp2 and 3 from the Microsoft website and put them on a CD.

Audrey

Relevancy 65.79%

Okay everybody, this is basically a 'multi' thread. Anyway, I'm considering buying an XP installation CD/license. Are these still available? And if so, what's the price? And also, how would I go on about dual booting? I heard you have to shrink your partition to fit the XP installation on (because I only have one hard drive). Is there a tutorial that tells you? Sorry if this all sounds a bit newbish, but I'm not too experienced with this part of computing even though I reformatted my PC about 3 times :0
Thanks in advance!

A:2 in 1: Dual booting XP with Windows 7 And how much does XP cost?

Quote: Originally Posted by gln2d3

Okay everybody, this is basically a 'multi' thread. Anyway, I'm considering buying an XP installation CD/license. Are these still available? And if so, what's the price? And also, how would I go on about dual booting? I heard you have to shrink your partition to fit the XP installation on (because I only have one hard drive). Is there a tutorial that tells you? Sorry if this all sounds a bit newbish, but I'm not too experienced with this part of computing even though I reformatted my PC about 3 times :0
Thanks in advance!

Hi gln2d3, start here with the tutorial Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP the cost of XP can vary depending on the flavour (basic, home, pro) Ebay can be good but be wary !

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/199353-2-1-dual-booting-xp-windows-7-how-much-does-xp-cost.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello,

I have a 2nd unused SSD that I would like to install Windows 8 on to. I already have Windows 7 on another SSD.

Is it as simple as fresh installing as normal on to the other unused SSD? then I can have a choice to dual boot to Windows 8 instead??

Thank you, all help is highly appreciated!

A:Windows 8 dual booting question

Simple answer is yes.

BTW, Welcome to the Eight Forums. . .

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/34397-windows-8-dual-booting-question.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi, I think I made a grievous error last night. I was installing Windows 7 Pro (x64) onto my computer. The installation went well, but when I got into the OS itself, I noticed it wasn't installing anything onto the Win7 Partition. Instead it was installing programs into the WinXP partition. I initially thought it was because I didn't set the Win7 partition as the active partition, so I went into Disk Management and made it the Active Partition. BIG mistake because that erased the dual boot function. I received the BOOTMGR is MISSING msg and I had to repair via my Win7 Dvd.. Problem is my Win 7 repair just recovered the Win7 OS - and now I can't dual boot into XP. Is there a way to restore the dual boot functionality?

Relevancy 65.79%

Hey I m trying to dual boot Windows XP Pro -bit and Windows with Windows installed first but this isn t the problem The problem is trying to boot Windows XP so it can install I booted XP from an installation CD then a blue setup screen appears with some files apparently being loaded at the bottom of the screen this is around the time pressing F to load drivers comes up Then boom I get blue screened with this error and cannot proceed A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is the first time you ve seen this Stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again follow these steps Check to be sure you have adequate disk space If a driver is identified booting, XP Windows Dual SATA and in the Stop message disable the driver or check Dual booting, Windows XP and SATA with the manufacturer for driver updates Try chaging video adapters Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode Technical Information STOP x E I ve been driving myself crazy trying to come up with a solution My theory so far is that my SATA HDD can t be recognized by the Windows XP installation CD therefore I need to add driver files to the CD somehow so that they re compatible I have a Intel R PCHM SATA AHCI Controller Dual booting, Windows XP and SATA Port and a Alienware A motherboard I hope I didn t make any mistakes explaining this I m an intermediate so if anybody has any Dual booting, Windows XP and SATA ideas please talk slowly I think I will genuinely laugh to myself a little bit if somebody can help me out here nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

I have both windows xp and linux on my system. Everytime I start up I get a drop-down list for the two operating systems with linux being the default one that always starts first. How can I make Windows xp start first without having to select it everytime. Please help, thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/284578/windows-xp-and-linux-dual-booting/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey I'm trying to dual boot XP booting, Dual and Windows SATA Windows XP Pro -bit and Windows with Windows installed first but this isn't the problem The problem is trying to boot Windows XP so it can install Dual booting, Windows XP and SATA I booted XP from an installation CD then a blue setup screen appears with some files apparently being loaded at the bottom of the screen this is around the time pressing F to load drivers comes up Then boom I get blue screened with this error and cannot proceed A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent Dual booting, Windows XP and SATA damage to your computer If this is the first time you've seen this Stop Dual booting, Windows XP and SATA error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again follow these steps Check to be sure you have adequate disk space If a driver is identified in the Stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates Try chaging video adapters Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode Technical Information STOP x E I've been driving myself crazy trying to come up with a solution My theory so far is that my SATA HDD can't be recognized by the Windows XP installation CD therefore I need to add driver files to the CD somehow so that they're compatible I have a Intel R PCHM SATA AHCI Controller Port and a Alienware A motherboard I hope I didn't make any mistakes explaining this I'm an intermediate so if anybody has any ideas please talk slowly I think I will genuinely laugh to myself a little bit if somebody can help me out here

A:Dual booting, Windows XP and SATA

Hello, welcome to TSF !

Enter the BIOS at startup and set the drive controller mode to IDE (or ATA or PATA) instead of SATA. Disable native command queuing (ncq) and AHCI if you see those settings. Then retry with the XP CD.

If this doesn't help (or if the settings aren't there) you'll need to slipstream the SATA drivers onto your XP CD :
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-installation/

you'll need the sata drivers but I couldn't find your motherboard here :
http://support.alienware.com/Support...downloads.aspx
What chipset does it use ? If you can find the drivers use the one called SATA/RAID or 32bit configuration floppy, if it's an executable file you'll need to find a way to extract the .inf, .cat and .sys files. See if your chipset is listed on this link, if so these are the drivers you need : http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...=2101&lang=eng

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-booting-windows-xp-and-sata-494312.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello Can anyone help

How can i setup dual boot windows xp and windows NT
(current) (2nd OS)
Except with the 2nd OS completely hidden from the first OS, So no such files can be accessed from the firsy OS???

because last time i tried this dual boot, I could access all folders on NT while actively using XP

A:Dual Booting Windows XP, with 2nd OS hidden

Hi....

You can use a program called Acronis Disk Director to hide partitions until you want to unhide them.

hope that helps :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-booting-windows-xp-with-2nd-os-hidden-109873.html