Windows Support Forum

Is Start Menu really matter?

Q: Is Start Menu really matter?

The number one complaint on Windows is not having an extra UI but the missing of the Start Menu I can't believe how deeply the Start Menu really Menu Start matter? Is has already been rooted Is Start Menu really matter? into Windows users' mind I don't see its importance now as it might have in the old days when you only had a Is Start Menu really matter? maximum of x- x applications groups Please look into Control Panel and recall the number of items there was in Windows With a large number of items when they are organized into a nested menu it's not easily been located and requires many clicks to expand Those how-tos would always be guiding your clicking e g Control Panel - gt System - gt Device - gt It requires your Is Start Menu really matter? trained memory and precise mouse movements I guess that your applications should always be more than system control settings Why don't you simply input your application keyword in Search Ubuntu the most popular Linux distro has taken its step to remove the Start Menu and introduced the UI Unity about years ago Although there were complaints at the early times the users eventually realize that the Start Menu has lost its value and the new design receives more positive reviews as time goes by It's sad to read posts about struggling on installing back Windows I think that the missing of the Start Menu hurts only some kind of a sense of security For me I find myself enjoying in discovering the new experience in the Metro UI and the apps built onto It's like I'm learning something new again What do you think

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Is Start Menu really matter?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Is Start Menu really matter?

Yep, some people dislike unexpected change, especially when they don't see the immediate value to this change.
However, once you get over the initial knee-jerk reaction, I think that it is easy to get used to the way Windows 8 works.

I have seen regular people using newly bought laptops with Windows 8 as if it was Windows 7 (because they haven't learned about all the new capabilities yet), and they were quite happy with their laptops (they mostly noticed that it boot faster and that the ultrabook are much lighter than regular laptops).

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/14462-start-menu-really-matter.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have Windows XP Pro, SP2.

I have a situation where a program shows on "All Programs" but not in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs in Explorer. How can I see that shortcut or whatever in Explorer?

Also, on C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs there appear items (files, shortcuts, whatever) of the same name. What's going on here?

Thanks,

royeo

A:Program shows on "All Programs but not on username Start Menu or All Users Start Menu

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/program-shows-on-all-programs-but-not-on-username-start-menu-or-all-users-start-menu.575493/
Relevancy 56.33%

Subject says it. Just setting up new pc for my wife. Came with XP Home preinstalled but the start menu was the classic. Switched it to the XP start menu (which I've grown to like better) and My Computer, My Network Places and Internet Explorer icons were removed from the desktop. Only recycle bin remained. Switching back to classic puts them back again. Oddly enough, when I was saving a dowload to the desktop (while set up as XP) the My Computer, My Network Places showed in the save to box when pointing at the desktop.

A:Switch from Classic Start Menu to XP Start Menu removed desktop icons

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switch-from-classic-start-menu-to-xp-start-menu-removed-desktop-icons.93609/
Relevancy 55.47%

When I click on the START menu, why is there no path for me to be able to look at say, C:/my documents/my pictures etc...There is nothing there like it is in other Windows programs I have used.

Also when I right click on a program and try to "pin to start menu", there is no option for that, only the shortcut option.

What's up with these things?

Anyone feel like helping a XP Pro Novice out here?

Thanks in advance forn your help!

A:XP Pro question Path to C: on start menu & pinning programs to start menu. XP Pro

Right-click the taskbar and look through the Properties. There are some settings in there under the Customize rubric that may help you make changes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-question-path-to-c-on-start-menu-pinning-programs-to-start-menu-xp-pro.650324/
Relevancy 55.47%

Ok, having some strange problems..

On one profile I'm missing the start menu. I can access task manager with CTRL+ALT+DELETE, but I don't get any user names for the process'

On another profile there is a start menu but I just get an hourglass when I mouse-over it.

Relevancy 54.18%

So long story short I woke up one morning to find that my computer s explorer exe file would not open at all This problem has been going on for well over Explorer.exe I what not start will do no matter a month and I ve been dealing with it by running things through task manager At this point I ve absolutely had it and I need to get this fixed and I d hope to resolve it without having to re-install windows There were no hardware changes just newly installed games from Steam and that s it All I use this computer for is homework and gaming every now and then Explorer exe when started manually will only open in task manager for a moment and then slip away into the darkness once again I get no error messages at all All I get when I boot up my computer is a black screen no task bar and just my cursor Below I have listed everything I have tried so Explorer.exe will not start no matter what I do far and nothing has even brought me close to a solution I m hoping someone can help me because I ve spent countless hours searching the internet and trying new solutions and I m almost giving up hope Please for the love of all that is sane in this world ing help me This is on Windows on an Asus G laptop Interventions so far Starting manually through task manager Starting in safe mode Numerous malware virus scans TDSSKiller CCleaner Start up repair System restores Registry scans Fresh explorer exe Screaming and yelling loudly nbsp

A:Explorer.exe will not start no matter what I do

When I get to the screaming part, I usually create a new user ( a "trick" I discovered when I was fiddling around with XP when it came out ). Can you try that and write back what happens ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/explorer-exe-will-not-start-no-matter-what-i-do.209276/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi Just can't get my pc to load up It all seems to be becase of a windows update It updated thursday night as I switched it off an then on friday when I turned it on it said there is a problem and that system repair would do a scan It start to can't help, try! no what please I matter screen get did a scan and found nothing I went into advanced and using the recovery tools tried several restores but none of them worked It kept saying they couldn't do it and my files are left as they were I cannot get into any safemode pc just starts over Now I have physically removed the hard drive and put it in a case with usb and have connected it to another pc to save all my files I was wondering if there's anything I can physically remove from the hard drive that might get my windows to start Other than that it's looking like a new installation Any help is gratefully appreciated please help, can't get to start screen no matter what I try! Thanks

A:please help, can't get to start screen no matter what I try!

Follow the direction here to restore your registry from the backup copy, see if that helps????

How to Recover from an Infinitely Looping Startup Repair Loop without Reinstalling Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/308210-please-help-cant-get-start-screen-no-matter-what-i-try.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi - I need help starting my ASUS laptop currently running Windows Because the OS came installed on the laptop I cannot create new installation software due to it being a quot manufacturer's key quot nor was I given an installation disk The problem arose when I reset the computer to factory settings and then proceeded to download and install I what matter start no Windows Can't [SOLVED] do. 8 Windows Updates The updates finished installing and I restarted the computer I returned several minutes later and it said quot Configuring Windows features - complete - do not turn off your computer quot I then left to do something else When I returned I found a screen that said quot Failure configuring Windows features - Reverting changes - Do not turn off [SOLVED] Can't start Windows 8 no matter what I do. your computer [SOLVED] Can't start Windows 8 no matter what I do. quot I waited for quite a while but nothing changed so I ended up turning it off and back on again Now whenever I boot it says quot Preparing automatic repair quot and eventually takes me to a message that says quot Windows Startup repair could not fix the problem quot and gives me the choice to shutdown or go to Advanced Startup Options On Advanced Startup Options nothing works I get errors if I try to refresh or reset the computer I have no functioning restore points I can't do anything with the system image Safe Mode doesn't work and nor does Disable automatic restart upon failure or Enter Recovery Environment I tried running chkdsk and sfc chkdsk doesn't do anything and when I type in sfc scannow I get quot Windows Resource Protection could not start the scan quot or something like that Can anyone help me with this

A:[SOLVED] Can't start Windows 8 no matter what I do.

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

How old is the PC?

If Asus did not provide you with a installation CD, how did you go about reinstalling Windows 8?

How long did you give it before you shut it down?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/solved-cant-start-windows-8-no-matter-what-i-do-880065.html
Relevancy 52.89%

After I upgraded my main computer to windows and finding that I had a conflict with Kaspersky won't what Defender virus? try--a no matter Windows start I and a few things I needed I decided to use Windows Defender on all my Win computers as the subscriptions came up So now I was Windows Defender won't start no matter what I try--a virus? uninstalling Kaspersky and every other anti-virus I could find on a laptop so I could turn on Windows Defender But every time I tried to turn it on in the control panel it would just take me to a windows explorer window If I try other methods to activate it I'm taken to a screen that gives this message This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software use Action Center to check that app's status I found an instruction on a windows forum to turn it on from the command prompt using this command sc start WinDefend Enable The result was this message Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged or that might be malicious software from an unknown source Ultimately I was going to come here anyway after I finished this task because this computer has been running terribly slow and I already suspected infections that weren't detected by running just the standard Kaspersky and Malwarebytes Any help is greatly appreciated

A:Windows Defender won't start no matter what I try--a virus?

Same computer?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515712/google-browser-not-working-even-after-re-install-virus/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518695/windows-defender-wont-start-no-matter-what-i-try-a-virus/
Relevancy 50.74%

I want to open the Start Menu folder to remove some shortcuts I had created there because back then I wanted them to appear in my Start Menu Now I don't And this has led me to this rather peculiar observation I can open the Start Menu folder not only for the current user but Menu) Start open windows won't (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Run Menu also for Run windows won't open Start Menu (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu) quot Run windows won't open Start Menu (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu) All Users quot by click the Start button - gt right clicking quot All Programs quot and then selecting either from the Menu that nbsp comes up However I cannot open the Start Menu folder if I do Windows R on the keyboard to open the Run window - gt type in quot C ProgramData Microsoft Windows Start Menu quot - gt hit Enter key When I press enter the computer presented the UAC prompted asking me if I wanted to open the Airdroid application installed on my computer Since this was unusual I uninstalled Airdroid and ever since when I paste quot C ProgramData Microsoft Windows Start Menu quot and hit enter in the Run window it doesn't do anything it simply returns me to Run window again Why is this happening Why doesn't the Run window open the Start Menu folder Is this some kind of Trojan activity I also notice that for the past - days since I run the last Microsoft Security Essentials scan my computer has been rather laggy in its performance despite the fact that the CPU usage and the Memory usage were only around the mark I remember that I had assigned Processor Affinity for some processes that time including the MSE because I thought it's scan may be causing the system to lag But since then I have reverted the Processor Affinity to quot All Processors quot Still the computer isn't working anywhere near as fast it used to be Also since then the Windows Explorer process has crashed a few times which is a new for me I have been using my Windows for the last months but this are the first instances when I've had Windows Explorer crashes Any ideas

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cdd59037-8684-47eb-860e-0ba2797ca264/run-windows-wont-open-start-menu-cprogramdatamicrosoftwindowsstart-menu?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 50.74%

A couple of weeks ago well maybe days ago I turned on my computer to see that the desktop was nothing but the photograph background I usually see My icons were gone Taskbar Start Menu too I tried CTRL-ESC Didn t work I tried to run explorer exe Didn t work I can t even access Control Panel control exe I don t have malware or a virus though I did just do a big clean but only the speed of my computer improved I still have to run . :( . Major Problem! Menu, Start Icons, Bar, Task Menu Windows Right-click . No all my programs through Task Manager but I think the damage was probably done by a virus or trojan I ve tried the Fix on Kelly s Korner I ve tried looking at Microcoft s page for help but I can t find anything I even tried copying the explorer exe file from Major Windows Problem! No Start Menu, Task Bar, Icons, Right-click Menu . . . :( my machine at work and putting it in place of the other explorer file I kept the original though renamed it Nothing has worked I m fed up and don t want to have to do a clean install Can someone help me MissBigBlue

A:Major Windows Problem! No Start Menu, Task Bar, Icons, Right-click Menu . . . :(

Welcome to Bleeping Computer MissBigBlue,Which fix at kellys-korner did you try?Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Or, Line #117 - Restore Taskbar and Start Menuhttp://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htmOr, Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm Can you get into Safe Mode?Then you could try a System Restore.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/90257/major-windows-problem-no-start-menu-task-bar-icons-right-click-menu/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi I d like to add a context menu entry to the default set Open Open all users Explore Not menu- menu a file-folder) context on adding click (right start easy- Explore All users Sort by Name Not easy- adding a context menu- (right click on start menu file-folder) Rename etc which appear when you right click on a folder in an expanded Start menu Not easy- adding a context menu- (right click on start menu file-folder) after Programs Technically the folder is a file folder But the normal set of file folder context menu entries is suppressed by Windows in this instance Thus normal additions to the context menu set associated with anything or file folders or directories never affects this set so far I can add context menu entries which appear when I right click on a shortcut but NOT folders I ve tried Fast Explorer and a couple of other utilities Sort By Name Explore All Users are not in the registry Normally context menu entries appear in one of about locations Ideas welcome Background I want to do this cos I want to keep a bad context menu entry that stops explorer running from this context menu some programs do that alas thus you can t right click explore the start menu once you install them and their context menu Normally I have disabled such entries using Shellex View So I want to add one which uses a different file manager Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-easy-adding-a-context-menu-right-click-on-start-menu-file-folder.699474/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi I wondered issues Windows / Antivirus 10 menu Menu, Apps, Context Metro / Start if anyone out there has had a similar experience to me For some weeks now I have had problems where the START MENU wouldn't launch metro apps OneDrive Tweetium Money News etc would fail to Antivirus / Windows 10 / Start Menu, Metro Apps, Context menu issues launch just a blank window up right mouse clicks wouldn't work internet browsing slowed up Signing out of my windows account then back in again solved it FOR A WHILE After an hour or two gradually one app after another etc the same problems would occur Researching this I came to the conclusion that Windows was corrupt or at least my user profile was and a re-install was necessary OR I also read of compatibility problems with Windows in my AV software Kaspersky Internet Security and wondered if the problem lay there Yesterday I uninstalled Kaspersky and relied on Win Defender For days now unprecedented recently my laptop has behaved impeccably no problems as above So am I to blame Kaspersky Am I safe with Just Win Def Any other AV suites throwing up problems Any Kaspersky users with any experiences to share Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/54439-antivirus-windows-10-start-menu-metro-apps-context-menu-issues.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I have lost some items from my start menu or the one that pops up when you hit 'start' at bottom left of screen.
I have lost the menu item 'recent documents, and have lost the drop-down menus from both the items, 'My Documents' and 'Control panel'. The 'recent documents' also had a drop down menu.
The drop down menu used to appear where the arrow is, in the picture I have included with this post and also to the right of the menu item 'control panel'
Here's a picture http://s1228.photobucket.com/albums/...=untitled2.jpg

Many thanks

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,
I have created and pinned some personal folders to the start menu. They now appear on the left hand side of the start menu, along with the other applications.

Here are my questions:

1) How can I set up those folders so that they would appear with the little arrow on the right that will allow me to see the content of those folders as a menu, instead of having to open them as Explorer windows?
I would like to do that instead of using the "pull up" option in the taskbar.

1a)How can I change the name of a folder pinned to the start menu without changing the name of the real folder?

2) Is it possible to create personal folders to insert on the right hand side pane of the start menu? (to appear under the system default folders called "pictures", "music" etc)

Thank you for any advice on this.

A:menu view of personal folders pinned to start menu

1.) You should be able to right click the folder and select "view as link" or "view as menu"

1a) Not sure if you can do that.

2) It is not possible to include personal folders on the right side of the start menu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/131674-menu-view-personal-folders-pinned-start-menu.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I upgraded from Windows XP to 7. I have "menu command" and "menu pop-up" sound effects set but they are not working for the Windows 7 start menu. They used to work for XP. It was helpful to hear a sound effect whenever a menu expanded or item was pressed in the start menu. I know this may be a minor problem, but can this be fixed in a future patch or service pack?

A:Menu sound effects not working for Windows 7 start menu

You should be able to go into your windows sound menu and set the sounds...

Right Click Desktop > Appearance > Windows Sounds

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/79769-menu-sound-effects-not-working-windows-7-start-menu.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I guess this is best explained with images, so here's what I want. (If possible of course).

So in this screenshot you can see my Start Menu, notice that some of this icons (Steam, Curse Client and Origin) have an arrow next to them? When you hover, or click, with the mouse the Task menu opens up.
What I want is to add an icon of Microsoft Office and make it so that the arrow is there too (just like Steam, Origin and Curse Client) and make it so that when I click or hover the Task menu will appear, and on the list will be MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, etc
I would like to know if it's at all possible and if so how can I do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

A:How do I pin a folder to Start Menu and have it show Task side menu?

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Nice wall care to share the original with us

I don't know how one would go about that with the start menu and all of the office programs,
I believe it would be possible using a toolbar on the taskbar though,
Customize toolbar,
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-7-annoyances/5c785b0f-3ec6-498f-b0dc-61f776c79928

Windows 7 annoyances - Microsoft Community

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/360618-how-do-i-pin-folder-start-menu-have-show-task-side-menu.html
Relevancy 49.88%

The win 7 start menu download folder item on the right sorts by name. This is very annoying. I cannot find a download unless I know its name. If by date I just look up a recent download at top of list.

How do I change behavior so downloads in start menu (right column) sorts by date?

NB. I changed the folder properties in explorer so the download folder sorts by date. It does there no problem. But not in the start menu.

Rob

A:sort start menu download menu by date not name

What a worthless feature to sort by name when it is downloads. I am checking for a registry work around, but it is a slow bushiness for me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/222777-sort-start-menu-download-menu-date-not-name.html
Relevancy 49.88%

My Start button's context menu has double entries. It either happened when updating from Win8 to Win8.1 preview, or from Win8.1 preview to Win8.1 official release, though I'm pretty sure it was the former. Where does Windows contain the entries for this context menu so that I may prune duplicates and possibly reorder them to my liking?

Picture shows duplicated entries in top left corner.

A:Start Menu Context Menu Double Entries

Hello Havvy, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you like, you should be able to use the program in the tutorial below to edit your WIN+X menu to edit out the duplicate entries.

Power User Tasks Menu (Win + X) - Edit in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/65678-start-menu-context-menu-double-entries.html
Relevancy 49.88%

So I have the Classic Shell start menu replacement program (fantastic by the way), and it just occurred to me. Is it possible to have a menu on the right pane, instead of adding a scroll arrow on the bottom when there's too many items to fit on a screen, behave like the All Programs menu and automatically throw the other items into a second column? (If there's nothing you can tell me, that's fine, just thought I'd ask)

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/380005-customize-menu-start-menu-behave-like-all-programs.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Two Win computers -bit -bit On Win bit - to add a short converts Win7 Start menu to Shortcuts to 64-bit, on EXE menu cut to Notepad EXE file Start gt RClick gt New Shortcut Browse to quot C Windows Notepad EXE quot file etc shortcut runs the EXE file I run primary shortcuts with WinKey gt number to On Win bit Shortcuts to EXE on Start menu Win7 64-bit, converts to menu - add a short cut to Notepad EXE file Start gt RClick gt New Shortcut Browse to quot C Windows Notepad EXE quot file etc - shortcut on Start is created as a menu I am not clicking on the Shortcuts to EXE on Start menu Win7 64-bit, converts to menu quot New Folder quot on context menu - the menu contains Recent Items - to run the EXE file I have to quot Click quot the menu name WinKey gt number only opens the menus side list In -bit I can also add folders shortcuts to Start menu at C Users lt Computer name eg Owner gt AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Start Menu Programs But where would that be in -bit Or am I missing something Would appreciate any help ------------------ Both PC have Classic Start Menu - maybe my question should be directed to quot Classic Start Menu quot

A:Shortcuts to EXE on Start menu Win7 64-bit, converts to menu

MY ERROR

I should have looked before burdening this forum ...

Is a setting in "Classic Start Menu" that I had wrong

Classic Start Menu > Start > RClick > Settings > General Behavior
[ ] Enable jump lists .... DISABLED

Problem solved

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/320685-shortcuts-exe-start-menu-win7-64-bit-converts-menu.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I actually have no beef with the Win 8.1 Start menu, but the colors of the regular desktop environment are killing me. Namely, the weird, off-off white of the menus. The High-Contrast White option under Personalization gives me the right color for the menu backgrounds but everything else about the theme screams windows 3.1
Is there maybe a registry tweak that I can use to change this one little color? I've tried a few things but nothing so far has worked.

See attached pic to see what I'm talking about.
Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!!

A:Change menu background color in win 8.1? NOT Start menu...

Haven't had any success either.
Even creating 'Classic' theme in Windows 7 and copying it over doesn't work!

Attachment 45614

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/48497-change-menu-background-color-win-8-1-not-start-menu.html
Relevancy 49.88%

We have a custom application which users are used to launching by right clicking on the start menu and selecting it from there.

We have made this customisation in both XP and Vista by adding an entry in:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell

However when I try to do this in Windows 7 nothing appears.

The only item that appears are the default windows items:
"Properties" and "Open Windows Explorer"

Any ideas if we can actually do this in windows 7 or is there another location in the registry this kind of thing is read from?

A:Custom Items on Start Menu Context Menu

Quote: Originally Posted by sirikan

We have a custom application which users are used to launching by right clicking on the start menu and selecting it from there.

We have made this customisation in both XP and Vista by adding an entry in:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell

However when I try to do this in Windows 7 nothing appears.

The only item that appears are the default windows items:
"Properties" and "Open Windows Explorer"

Any ideas if we can actually do this in windows 7 or is there another location in the registry this kind of thing is read from?

I've never tried this, so I don't have back-up on this.

I doubt this could have been changed in Windows 7, since it is used for other options. I've added my own options, but when right-clicking files only. It is only an assumption, though.

I'll check on this.

Tell me if any of these here help. I can't find exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/71515-custom-items-start-menu-context-menu.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hey everyone Does custom menu with Replacing start screen? menu anyone know if it is possible to get a full screen menu screen instead of the standard windows start menu I want something similar to the linux gnome menu screen whenever I press my windows key I've already posted this question on the rainmeters forum but I think I should be looking for some sort of shell extension or possibly Replacing start menu with custom menu screen? program it myself in NET any pointers on Replacing start menu with custom menu screen? where to start I have limited knowledge of NET I suppose I should be looking at the windows API code pack or if it already exists some sort of third party application that does something similar so I can customize it to look like gnome My idea is to have something like this when I press my windows key It should have the standard start menu search function implemented I've already tried the omnimo rainmeter skin but this doesn't allow for setting the hotkey to the windows key nor does it have the standard start menu search functions implemented I should also disable the standard start menu when I press the windows hotkey Replacing start menu with custom menu screen? Any ideas

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/389959-replacing-start-menu-custom-menu-screen.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I don't know if this is a widespread problem, but I just noticed that I have duplicate context menu entries for "Files" and "Programs" that are reached by typing into the search box at the Start menu. See attached screenshot. This doesn't apply to Control Panel items, Videos, Documents, Music, etc.

Any solutions?

A:Duplicate Context menu entries in Start menu

A long standing issue (XP also) with the context menu when accessed from certain locations.

One menu is appearing for the target, one for the link.

If you right click the offending item - check properties - you will see that your viewing the link, not the actual file.

Wierd, huh?

If I recall, I could avoid the problem if there were no "customizations" in the context menu.

I also remember a connection to the shortcut arrow. With the arrow shown, no doubling.

I really don't remember why it does that. One of the two.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/24423-duplicate-context-menu-entries-start-menu.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello All,

When I click on the search button in the start menu of WinXp,
or when I use the search item in the context menu, it doesn't work.

Nothing happens and I have to wait about 30 seconds
before regaining control over the computer
(the start button remains in the dark state, and nothing reacts,
except the task manager)

Searching does work if I use the Search button in Windows Explorer.
It also works in safe mode.

Reinstalling the search assistant does not help.

I also checked my computer with adaware, spybot and some AV-programs,
but that doesn't help either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks and Have a Great Day,

Keukie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/search-not-working-in-start-menu-or-context-menu.283801/
Relevancy 49.88%

Today I found a good solution to the start menu problem in windows 8.
Aston menu worked fine and very good and returned the familiar customized XP look and feel

I Changed the program Icon and pinned it to task-bar and moved it to the extreme left

you can try it for 30 days
Aston Menu is Windows Start Menu Replacement with the Enhanced Functionality. Tweak Windows Vista, 7, XP Start Menu with Beauty and Style. Boost Productivity with Amazing Fuctions and Widgets.

Relevancy 49.88%

I think the only thing that will work here is a registry hack.

By default if you set the start menu properties to display "favorites" it does so by a menu. It does not give you a choice to display this as a link or a menu like it does for other folders.

Is there a way to fix this?

A:Display Favorites as a link not a menu in Start Menu

Drag it on to the start menu ( left hand pane) and pin it and it will open up in a new window when clicked.

Sorry i know its not what you want but its the only option i know.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/62487-display-favorites-link-not-menu-start-menu.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I know that the full version can be achieved while holding the shift key, but is there way to bypass that and have the regular full sized menu by default?

A:Why is the context menu in Start Menu and Taskbar so small?

not as far as i know ; unless one resorts to magnifying windows entirely .

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/213402-why-context-menu-start-menu-taskbar-so-small.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello all!!

I need to know if is possible to add a custom entry to shutdown menu, that's in the Start Menu.

Thanks...

A:How add custom entry to Start Menu shutdown menu

This might be of help.

Remove Options from the Windows 7 Shutdown Menu [How To] | Windows 7 Customization | Windows Tools, Help & Guides

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/206349-how-add-custom-entry-start-menu-shutdown-menu.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Im referring to this bottom menu;

when I right click my app/programs, nothing pops up below. I also cant rearrange tiles, groups and stuff. Any help. Thanks

A:Start menu, app right click menu not working

Hello GGPS90, and welcome to Eight Forums.

See if you may be able to open it using one of the other options in the tutorial below.

Start Screen Context Menu and Options Bar - Open

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/46780-start-menu-app-right-click-menu-not-working.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello,

I've been searching around, and failed to find a post with an answer.

I'm currently trying to figure out wether I can create a custom map, and make it a menu which is able to expand like the "Getting Started" menu.

I have my folder "Microsoft Office" with shortcuts with all the programs, however I fail to find a way to make it expand like a menu.

Tried to make a win32bit DWORD key in regedit, following a earlier post I found, but with no luck.

Hope ya know how to do.

Scout

A:Start Menu: Custom Folder Menu

Hello Scout, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if this may be able to allow you to.

Jumplist Launcher - Create Custom Jump Lists

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/140241-start-menu-custom-folder-menu.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Just moved to Windows We're told over and over that the new start menu is better in every conceivable way but the truth is for a keyboard oriented power user - Start menu? a Menu All Programs making like me it truly sucks At least the default setup and all the customizations I've attempted truly suck swamp water In XP I configured all my programs to be Start Menu - making All Programs a menu? accessible in keypresses Eg by putting Notepad under Start gt Tools gt Notepad I could bring it up in a split second by pressing Windows Key T N - likewise for the other programs I have I've had this for years and it's ingrained in my style but more importantly it is genuinely highly efficient I've tried my darndest in W to recreate this However several things are in the way After the windows key the Search box has the focus So no matter what you type in it isn't shortcutting through the programs menu it's typing in a search query I can't seem to create my own top level menus under the start menu like quot tools quot quot office quot etc The All Programs link doesn't open up a menu with sub menus etc - just lists them in a single list Maybe typical users prefer this fair enough but it's brain damagingly irritating for a power user as you lose all sense of hierarchy and location Can anyone suggest how I could recreate my old XP behavior in W -old-fashioned Brendan P S Honestly I'm astonished that Microsoft have forced such a major change on their users I think the new start menu has some great elements for a typical home users but they shouldn't have limited the options for hard core users in the process

A:Start Menu - making All Programs a menu?

It sorta annoyed me at first, but I had too many programs installed and too few shortcuts memorized so I had to adapt to the change. I tried the Windows Classic theme on another win7 machine but apparently the "improved" start menu got backported to classic as well, meh.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/117126-start-menu-making-all-programs-menu.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi All,

I have seen screenshots where people have network connections when they right click on the start menu. I am trying to figure out how to add it.

Any ideas?

My Context Menu: http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-content...11/Capture.png

Others' Menu: http://lh3.ggpht.com/-z9C--hXqSZk/T1...png?imgmax=800

A:Start Menu Context Menu Customization

Hello Deimos, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The tutorial below can help show you how to customize the WIN+X Power Users Tasks menu.
Power User Tasks Menu (Win + X) - Edit in Windows 8
If you like, you could use the "Network Connections" for the shortcut in the tutorial below to for the context menu.
Network Connections - Create Shortcut - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/19492-start-menu-context-menu-customization.html
Relevancy 49.02%

How do I add a folder/menu to the "Programs" menu

In WinXP I could do it with my eyes shut in "C:\Docs and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs"
When I attempt to do the same in Win7 64bit "C:\Users\All Users\Start Menu" is a link -- "access denied"

Image is my old XP structure
I am using Classic Shell Start (Sourceforge) -- just to annoy the younger players

Will appreciate any help,

A:Add custom menu to Start > Programs menu

Hi,

If I read you correctly you can navigate to:

C:\Users\"Computer name"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Create a new folder in the folder named Programs and it will appear in Start> All programs

See ive created a folder called "Boo" and my "computer name" is scotty:

Note
AppData maybe hidden, if so go to control panel, icons view and locate Folder Options. Once opened
click the view tab and click Show hidden files,folders, or drives.

Hope this helps?

P.S. Do you like Batman TAS?

Cheers

Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/284623-add-custom-menu-start-programs-menu.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi everybody!

My problem here:

1. When I open Start Menu and right-click some icon on "program or open recent program" the menu context don't show "fixed on the taskbar".

2. When I right-click on "open recent program" icon on Star Menu I can't delete from list.

How can I fix this trouble??

(sorry for my english)

A:Context Menu on Start Menu don't work

1. try Shift+right click
2. If that does not work, see here: Start Menu Context Menus and Dragging and Dropping - Disable or Enable

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/153032-context-menu-start-menu-dont-work.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello All,
I was wondering how to add the applications appearing on Windows 10 Start Menu to Windows Start Screen, that too in a specific location on the start screen, with a specific tile size and under a specific application group? Do you think it's feasible? I know it's easily done interactively by right clicking the start menu app and pinning it to Start but this has to done for the enterprise users so would like to see if the task could be accomplished using a GPO or Script.
Kind Regards,
sK

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/32193-create-start-screen-tiles-applications-appears-start-menu.html
Relevancy 47.3%

when i right click on the start menu a context menu should appear but it doesnt anymore, it suddenly stopped working today...i've tried copying the files over from the WinX folder on a different local account , also tried sfc /scannow from cmd prompt

any ideas?

A:win 8 start menu context menu gone

does windows key + X give you the menu

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-8-start-menu-context-menu-gone.1143504/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi,

as the question says, I would like to add a menu to the Windows 7 menu which points to a network location.

I've read the tutorials and was able to add a network folder to the programs menu but that's not what I need (it's under a submenu and it just opens the network location instead of working as a menu). Maybe it's possible to solve this problem with classic menu but that wouldn't look very nice...

I would have expected a GPO for this but so far I've found nothing.

So my question is: is there a way to give all my network users access to a menu (much preferred) via the start menu?

And if that's not possible are there any good alternatives? Maybe via a toolbar menu (I haven't found a way yet to set that for all users)?

thanks!

Peekstra.

A:Add company menu to start menu, how?

If you want a nice looking classic start menu, try Classic Shell: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/. You can customize the menu items as you wish. It is also skinnable and you can make it as nice looking as your skills with Photoshop

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/70155-add-company-menu-start-menu-how.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I ve looked around the internet for anyone who had a problem like this but i havent found a single forum anywhere that helps so I run -bit windows vista and recently i downloaded Grand Chase to it The first day it menu desktop/start to start Computer i when certain try freeze programs worked just fine but today after experiencing some heavy lag spikes i restarted my computer and when i tried to open grandchase from the desktop shortcut Ran Computer desktop/start menu freeze when i try to start certain programs as administer The desktop just froze So i tried running it from the start menu but it did the same only when i tried to click anything in the start menu after trying to run Grand Chase it just gave me a quot bing quot sound The only solution to unfreezing the two is to log off and back onto Computer desktop/start menu freeze when i try to start certain programs my computer but Grand Chase still wont work I dont think it s the game itself but rather my computer since i had this same issue before with yahoo messenger but i cant remember what i did if anything to fix it but Yahoo messenger works just fine now System restore is out of the question since the last checkpoint it s made was sometime in which i used once before and was basically restored back to a horrible point where i had alot of viruses and things ran extremely slow with no norton security or Computer desktop/start menu freeze when i try to start certain programs anything to help it Anybody have some ideas I m able to reinstall the game via safe mode but when i go back to normal mode it s the same story retold from point A nbsp

A:Computer desktop/start menu freeze when i try to start certain programs

You can try installing Game Booster and running Grand Chase via Game Booster, and see if that helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-desktop-start-menu-freeze-when-i-try-to-start-certain-programs.1044722/
Relevancy 47.3%

I hope it's kosher to post a link to another post I made in the XP forum (I'm only doing this because someone suggested I do). I dont think I have a virus/malware problem, but maybe someone here will recognize it.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry844517ThanksUPDATE: I just finished running the a-squared command malware tool and all that it came up with was 19 cookies.

A:Failed To Load Dll, No Start Menu, Programs Wont Start, Etc

Please try using this to repair the broken registry entry that may be causing this.Download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click HERE if you're not sure how to do this.)Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.Right-click on the entry and choose delete.Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/150704/failed-to-load-dll-no-start-menu-programs-wont-start-etc/
Relevancy 47.3%

In the right panel of the Start Menu, you have a link to your user profile, documents, my computer, pictures, music, etc. However, if you enable the predefined links by customizing the Start Menu, they seem to appear in a predefined order that you can't change by simply dragging and dropping. Is there a registry hack to change the order in which they appear? For the sake of argument, let's say I want to move the "Pictures" folder to be the topmost menu item above the link to my user profile.

Also, is there some way to pin a folder to the Start Menu, yet have it work like a cascading menu displaying its folder contents?

A:How to reorder the navigation start panel links in Start Menu

Can't be done ... or at least nobody's found a way yet. Too much is set up within the encrypted stylesheets that are the heart of the Windows 7 system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/91505-how-reorder-navigation-start-panel-links-start-menu.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Title says it all, but why? Last time I was using Windows 7 it was still working fine. Now I noticed it stopped working when I upgraded to Windows 10. I'm not bothered by this but I'm just asking if this is normal?

A:Start Button on my keyboard won't trigger to open start menu

Does the keyboard have a key to block start menu usage. So called game mode.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/61212-start-button-my-keyboard-wont-trigger-open-start-menu.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Switched to the XP-ish Classic Start Menu, plus Adjust for Best Performance, in the usual prescribed way, no third-party interface-modifiers. All looks & works fine except that the Start button itself looks like TWO buttons -- one atop the other and just slightly out of alignment (screenshot here).

Nothing?s malfunctioning, but it sure looks silly. I haven?t done anything unusual, apart from docking the taskbar on the right side of the screen. What could be causing this, and how can I un-cause it? Would Classic Shell fix this?

Grateful for any clues.

A:Classic Start Menu: Start Button appears doubled

Which classic start menu software are you using?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/183732-classic-start-menu-start-button-appears-doubled.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Today I updated my Nvidia driver and rebooted my machine Everything seemed to go well I did not receive Menu Recent for Jump Programs Start Files From Stopped and Working Recent Menu any errors When I opened my start menu I noticed that some programs that I almost never use anymore were my only recent programs I then opened a program that use often that was Recent Programs and Jump Menu for Recent Files From Start Menu Stopped Working not listed I then opened a file and then closed the program Even though there was room on the recent programs Recent Programs and Jump Menu for Recent Files From Start Menu Stopped Working area the application was not showing up After some searching around I saw people talk about their two check boxes on the privacy section of the start menu options being grayed out I checked mine and they we checked and were Recent Programs and Jump Menu for Recent Files From Start Menu Stopped Working enabled Other forum posts said to uncheck them restart and the re-check them I did this but to no avail I was deciding to just live with it as pinning to the start menu still works I started pinning my most important apps and opening a file to make sure that the recent files jump menu was showing up It works for all applications except Microsoft applications I added MS Excel to my pinned list and opened a recent file that shows up in the apps recent files section then saved it and closed Excel When I opened my start menu again Excel still lacks a jump menu for recent apps Any help on this will be appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recent-programs-and-jump-menu-for-recent-files-from-start-menu-stopped-working.1074731/
Relevancy 46.44%

Ok, there are multiple users on my computer from my family, so I am not the only one who uses it. I had a worm on my computer that I was trying to get rid of and im not much of a computer expert, but when I went to remove it I guess the program found and deleted anything that was infected which im assuming were some important programs because now on restart I dont even have a start menu, any icons, and when I try to Run programs it doesnt let me, the only thing I could get up was Internet Explorer. Is there anyway I could restore, or how should I go about fixing this?

Relevancy 46.44%

Hello,

I am having a problem with my laptop (running Windows XP SP2 with AVG virus).

When I log into my user name, an error about nnlmk.exe pops up (can not access or have permission) and then my task bar/start menu and desk top icons vanish.

I can recover them briefly by going through Task Manager and running explorer.exe but then it cyclically appears and vanishes.

I have ran AVG and "repaired" some infected files as well as ran SpyBot/Adaware/Spyblaster.

I beleive this problem is very similar to that of this thread

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...d-windows.html

but I can not physically delete nnlmn.exe since the explorer crashes too quickly for me to access it.

Thanks,

A:Desktop Icons and Start Menu vanish after start up

I am posting the Panda Scan results and DSS Log results.

< PANDA >

Incident Status Location

Spyware:Cookie/Advertising Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pvuxdl7q.default\cookies.txt[.advertising.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Mediaplex Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pvuxdl7q.default\cookies.txt[.mediaplex.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/YieldManager Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pvuxdl7q.default\cookies.txt[ad.yieldmanager.com/]

< / PANDA >

Deckard's System Scanner v20071014.68
Run by User on 2008-01-06 11:08:40
Computer is in Normal Mode.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- System Restore --------------------------------------------------------------

Successfully created a Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point.

-- Last 5 Restore Point(s) --
21: 2008-01-06 17:08:52 UTC - RP244 - Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point
20: 2008-01-06 01:36:57 UTC - RP243 - Restore Operation
19: 2008-01-06 01:19:52 UTC - RP242 - Last known good configuration
18: 2008-01-06 01:19:45 UTC - RP241 - System Checkpoint
17: 2008-01-06 01:19:45 UTC - RP240 - Software Distribution Service 3.0

-- First Restore Point --
1: 2008-01-06 01:19:39 UTC - RP224 - Installed Free Sticky Notes

Backed up registry hives.
Performed disk cleanup.

-- HijackThis Clone ------------------------------------------------------------

Emulating logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2008-01-06 11:12:11
Platform: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer (7.00.6000.16574)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\dss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = ftp=209.81.96.54:8080;http=209.81.96.54:8080;https=209.81.96.54:8080;socks=209.81.96.54:8080
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\In... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/desktop-icons-and-start-menu-vanish-after-start-up-209091.html
Relevancy 46.44%

This thread is meant to showcase the new Windows 10 Start menu with tiles or the more familiar Windows 8 Start Screen.

You can use either the Start Menu or Start Screen by following Brink's Tutorial

Start Menu

Start Screen

A:Post your Windows 10 Start menu or Start Screen

I do not like the old/new Start, so I do not intend on using it, like I do not plan on using Store.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/1994-post-your-windows-10-start-menu-start-screen.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi, I am very limited to my knowledge of computers and how to fix the problems. If anyone can give me any advice about my computer I would very much appreciate it. I turned my computer on about a week ago, it froze up, I restarted it and was missing my taskbar and my files where opened in a separate window. Nothing simple works. The obvious things do not work. I have no start button. It will not do anything. If I go into control panel, cannot open it from there. Please help!

A:Missing Start Menu, Taskbar, No Start Button

Try doing a System Restore back to before you experienced this problem.Windows XP System Restore Guide

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146557/missing-start-menu-taskbar-no-start-button/
Relevancy 46.44%

When I start up my computer, my Steam starts up, then I manually start Chrome. Chrome comes up fine, Steam does too, but when I try to right click on Steam and click friends, all it does is create another steam process running at 100-108 K. Then if I close Chrome and try to reopen it, it will do the same. This happens with EVERY program after I start up. There's a 5 second window where I can open programs without issue, then after that it will only start 108 K copies of them. It takes me around 30 restarts just to get it working properly, if not more.

Relevancy 46.44%

Hi

Need a help regd

In start menu when right click a app i don get option Pin to start r remove apps ...just app r app icon get selected...a tick mark appear. Can't remove also. No menu option shows..don know HW suddenly this happened. Made win 8.1 updates. Using 8.1 core edition x64

Can't resize also.

Tried to open gpedit.MSC . it throws error can't open gpedit. Make sure u typed properly

A:Pin to start r remove apps not working in start menu

search group policy and open it from there.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/65011-pin-start-r-remove-apps-not-working-start-menu.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have experienced a sudden problem starting programs The computer boots correctly and all desktop icons appear correctly But when I double click a desktop icon or start a program from the start menu I get a popup window displaying a list of programs and asking me which program I want to even menu desktop & appear icons though Programs start will not start use to start the application I select the correct program or browse to the appropriate exe file but still the application doesn t start This includes IE and Windows Messenger My virus scanner was about the only thing that I could start up and I did a system scan with Panda Anti-Virus but it didn t show anything substantial just some cookies Using my WinXP set up disk I ve tried to do a repair I guess reinstallation without reformatting the hard disk but after I entered the License Key the computer did a reboot and then stopped It is stuck on the XP splash screen and won t go any further I once let it run over night but Programs will not start even though desktop icons & start menu appear it was still frozen on the splash screen I even tried to repeat the repair process but that didn t work Automatic updates did download an update just before this problem started I think it was the day before the problems began I don t know what this update was and I m not sure it was SP system does have SP installed Considering that the computer freezes now when booting up is there anything that I can do short of reformatting the Hard Drive I also have another hard drive that I can use to install XP onto Is there any way that I can rescue the data from the old Hard Drive and transfer to new drive Thanks nbsp

A:Programs will not start even though desktop icons & start menu appear

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/programs-will-not-start-even-though-desktop-icons-start-menu-appear.718679/
Relevancy 46.44%

My Start Button works to the extent that I can click it and browse all of my programs I also have all of the categories on the right side like quot Computer quot quot Control Panel quot etc What I don't have are any of my recently used programs That area is blank I have noticed over the years that I typically use Button/Start On Menu Customization Lost Start about the same - programs frequently and the loss of these quot instant shortcuts Lost Customization On Start Button/Start Menu quot means I have to drill down through the hierarchy of Start Menu programs to find the one I want to launch I do have a number of programs pinned to the Taskbar but I'd really like Lost Customization On Start Button/Start Menu to have my Start Button work like it used to Any suggestions PS The only one that does show up is the Command Prompt which I had copied from its default location because I use it so much I had it located outside the quot Programs quot folder on the Start Menu so it would be at the top

A:Lost Customization On Start Button/Start Menu

hi something simple you might want to check.
right click start button-properties then start menu tab and make sure both things are checked under privacy. also on same tab click on customize and make sure there is a number in start menu size

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399977-lost-customization-start-button-start-menu.html
Relevancy 45.58%

days before my Windows pc My won't Start menu Windows 8.1 apps the start from wasn't working during log in it showed up with My Windows 8.1 apps won't start from the Start menu quot The System Event Notification Service service failed the sign in quot I posted this thread but no one replied then back yesterday I ran it into Safe Mode and used the CMD and put these quot sfc scannow quot then the PC booted into Safe Mode But in my Start Menu many apps won't open accept Facebook Twitter Photos and the Store opens and when I goto install apps it shows quot This app wasn't installed quot And my Start menu is like this And the quot sfc scannow quot command shows that there are Corrupted or Missing Files Then I also did these DISM exe Online Cleanup-image ScanhealthDISM exe Online Cleanup-image Restorehealth But then also no luck please suggest me what to do I updated my PC from Windows to Windows days before And this happened days before And the PC started to My Windows 8.1 apps won't start from the Start menu boot from yesterday Please reply Please

A:My Windows 8.1 apps won't start from the Start menu

Store - Re-register in Windows 8 and 8.1

Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8

Apps and Tiles Not Working or Responding: Fix in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/40729-my-windows-8-1-apps-wont-start-start-menu.html
Relevancy 45.58%

The problem that i am facing is that, my windows 7 search is instantaneous but when i click on the application the application takes time to load but if i run the same application from Desktop it will load immediately. This happens only one first time after bootup. does any1 else face the same problem?

A:Start Menu Application Take Time To Start

and does any1 have a solution to this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/156499-start-menu-application-take-time-start.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi,

i'm missing that direct access from my past windows versions,
each time i right click files/folders, i have to scroll to "properties",
if i want to open the folder of the element for example .. .

So i'd like to have "Properties" under "New shortcut" separated
by a line, at the bottom of the context menu of start-up folder's
elements.

A:Start menu's context menu "Properties" at the bottom .. .

Hello Delicate,

Do you mean like how it already is below when you right click on a empty area in a opened folder's window??

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/211696-start-menus-context-menu-properties-bottom.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Anyone know if there is a way to configure the Windows 7 start menu "all programs" to be a pop out menu like Windows XP? I prefer is that way because it can show all items at once without needing to scroll.

A:Configure start menu "all programs" to be pop out menu like Windows XP

Hi,

You can't do it in-house but there are several 3rd party apps that can get your Windows 7 Start menu looking & behaving just like XP.

One such app is CSMenu

OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/148901-configure-start-menu-all-programs-pop-out-menu-like-windows-xp.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Okay So today I'm enjoying my day old Vista I've had a crappy Compaq XP for EVER now and I was happy to get a new computer completely crappy OS or not Yes I've heard the rumors about Vista so I was prepared for lots and lots of hours of troubleshooting I want to look around and explore so I click on my start menu Nothing The My (Empty) empty VISTA! BRAND start NEW 'New' menu, menu, Computer Control Panel etc etc etc is on there But nothing I click 'all programs' and it's all there I tried to modify the settings on my start menu I pressed OK and out of curiosity went back into my Start Menu settings (Empty) 'New' menu, empty start menu, BRAND NEW VISTA! to check-- And they were back to what they were before My easy way out has always been since my XP was crap to completely restore my computer suck it up reinstall everything and start fresh So I decided to add a new WinRAR rar folder thing put all my pictures in there put it on Megaupload com and download the file after I restore Vista I right clicked Went under 'New gt Empty ' Okay What the heck I almost cried My baby my brand new vista already encountering problems I installed daemon tools PHotoshop CS poweriso AIM itunes basically my necessities within the two day period I turned my computer on no problems My norton preformed its scheduled scan this morning (Empty) 'New' menu, empty start menu, BRAND NEW VISTA! at am and I had a trojan horse and it can't be repaired (Empty) 'New' menu, empty start menu, BRAND NEW VISTA! Okay Well I've had thousands of those on my old computer and it ran at full speed with no problems but could this be the reason I restarted it two three hours ago so my daemon tools can finish installing and that's when I realized my start menu and things were messed up Also when I went into my computer after I restarted the theme was set on 'windows classic' my background was left untouched I cannot drag and drop anything into the start menu It says I can but I can't Desktop icons are fine I also installed or so updates because I guess my Vista isn't up to date-- It did it automatically Also links pictures etc like 'My Computer' My 'C ' drive 'My Pictures' pictures music etc in Folders have a check mark beside them Pleasepleasepleaaase help

A:(Empty) 'New' menu, empty start menu, BRAND NEW VISTA!

Originally Posted by kikiluna

Okay. So today I'm enjoying my 2 day old Vista. I've had a crappy 2003 Compaq XP for EVER now, and I was happy to get a new computer, completely crappy OS or not. (Yes, I've heard the rumors about Vista, so I was prepared for lots and lots of hours of troubleshooting!) I want to look around and explore, so I click on my start menu. Nothing. The My Computer, Control Panel, etc etc etc is on there. But nothing. I click 'all programs', and it's all there. I tried to modify the settings on my start menu, I pressed OK and out of curiosity went back into my Start Menu settings to check-- And they were back to what they were before!!

My easy way out has always been, since my XP was crap, to completely restore my computer, suck it up, reinstall everything and start fresh. So I decided to add a new WinRAR .rar folder thing, put all my pictures in there, put it on Megaupload.com and download the file after I restore Vista. I right clicked. Went under 'New > (Empty)'.

Okay. What the heck. I almost cried! My baby, my brand new vista, already encountering problems! I installed daemon tools, PHotoshop CS2, poweriso, AIM, itunes, basically my necessities, within the two day period. I turned my computer on, no problems. My norton preformed its scheduled scan this morning at 6am, and I had a trojan horse and it can't be repaired. Okay. Well. I've had thousands of those on my old computer and it ran at full speed with no problems, but could this be the reason? I restarted it two, three hours ago so my daemon tools can finish installing, and that's when I realized my start menu and things were messed up. Also, when I went into my computer after I restarted, the theme was set on 'windows classic', my background was left untouched. I cannot drag and drop anything into the start menu. It says I can, but I can't.

Desktop icons are fine. I also installed 16 or so updates because I guess my Vista isn't up to date-- It did it automatically.

Also, links, pictures, etc, like 'My Computer', My 'C:' drive, 'My Pictures', pictures, music, etc in Folders, have a check mark beside them.

Pleasepleasepleaaase help...

You sound a little frustrated. You've forgotten one thing. Vista isn't XP. It doesn't do things the same way as XP. Many things it does better. You just have to learn how. Spend a bit of time browsing through Brink's Vista Tutorials here:-
Tutorials - Vista Forums

This will make things a lot clearer to you and help you to set up Vista the way you want

Norm

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/200281-empty-new-menu-empty-start-menu-brand-new-vista.html
Relevancy 44.29%

My younger brother and I share a computer It is Windows Pro I was letting him use it while i was asleep All I know is that he was playing his video games Anyways he left the house to Menu/Start Sign-In Menu Hidden Account Sign-in from go hang out somewhere and i wake up to see that when i turn on the computer only his account shows at the sign-in screen Meanwhile there are THREE accounts on this computer My account His account and a local that my other siblings use sometimes I restarted and even shut down my computer about times I waited until he came back and logged Account Sign-In Hidden from Sign-in Menu/Start Menu on his account to check what was wrong and I see that my account is still there with all my files and docs The other local account is there too I log out to see if my User name is there but it isn't I tried to Account Sign-In Hidden from Sign-in Menu/Start Menu see if my account was deactivated using these methods but none of them worked I've looked on Microsoft's forums but all I found was how to activate the built-in administrator account Please do your best to help I have important work to do on my account but i can't access it

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/55725-account-sign-hidden-sign-menu-start-menu.html
Relevancy 44.29%

In the Classic Start Menu all is Ok; In the normal one: all the programs are missing from "All Programs".

I switched today from the Classic menu the the Vista default one. And found that all are gone. Googling for 3 hours did not find a resolution.
All the programs, shortcuts & folders in the All Users and current user Start Menu/Programs folders are there;Permissions on folders are all set as expected.

Can anyone help?

A:"All Programs" menu EMPTY in Start Menu

Welcome Ralfko

Do you think that this might help from our tutorial library. I think you may have to enable the feature. It may have been turned off when you were using the classic look.

Start Menu All Programs List - Enable or Disable

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/270885-all-programs-menu-empty-start-menu.html
Relevancy 44.29%

In good ol' WinXP there was a menu in START menu

Programs->Administrative Tools->Services

Where do I find the corresponding entry in Win7 ?

I found neither an "Administrative Tools" nor an "services" entry

Peter

A:Where do I find "services" menu in START menu?

It's in the control panel in Windows 7.

Services - Start or Disable

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Or you could just type services.msc into the search box and press enter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/72834-where-do-i-find-services-menu-start-menu.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Windows XP - No Start Menu / Start Bar, nothingWhen I turn on my computer, sign in, enter password, I get my usual screen. However, that is all I get. I do not get the tool bar with start, run, computer.... not on the top, bopttom or sides.... It is not there. So, I have to go to task manager by, ALT, CRL, and DELET, all at once.. this can not be good, either but -- I want my start bar back. HelpI tried to restore to a different date, but it did not work, and now I can not find it again. Don't know how I did it the first time. Anyone have suggestions, remember I can not get into any programs, so don't tell me to go to the control panel, because I can't. (I am not being mean or snippety , I just know that's what I really want to do, but can't) helpmscoolwood

A:Windows XP - No Start Menu / Start Bar, nothing

Hello mscoolwood and to BleepingComputer.Try this for me.Bring up the Task Manager and select File>New Task (Run...). In the box that appears type explorer and hit the Enter key. Does your Desktop appear? If it does not, and you receive an error message, please post back to me with the exact text of the message.~Blade

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/274716/windows-xp-no-start-menu-start-bar-nothing/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have been using my computer normally for the past few weeks and I run Iobit Advanced Windows Care along with A-squared free anti-virus. My computer has been running pretty smooth until the other day I ran A-squared and It was finding some type of trojans that were high risk so I quarantined the items it suggested but now when I restart my computer I have no windows start menu and I can't access anything on my computer. Apparently I need some better virus protection software!! I have had this happen before and I had to reinstall windows completely which I am trying to avoid doing this time if possible. If anyone can help please let me know thanks!

A:No start menu when I start my computer

Turn on your computer, in Normal mode
Right-click on the bottom of the screen and Open Task Manager
Click on the applications tab and end the process
Open task Manager again and click on the New Task button
Type in - explorer.exe - and click OK
If that brings up the Desktop, then we can run some scans
If that doesn't work, see if you can get into safemode w/networking

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/205122/no-start-menu-when-i-start-my-computer/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi all,

I am having a problem with the start menu item that have their own list, i.e., Getting Started and IE etc. I click on the arrow to open the list, but when I move the mouse over the list it vanishes. No chance to select anything. Happens with all of these. I've tried clicking on the arrow, no good. I've rebooted, no help. Anyone else having this problem or have any ideas?

Gary

A:Start Menu-menu

Hi Gary,

It's real sensitive on the timing to move over to the expanded area. You'll have to move it quickly over to a listed item and not around any blank area around the top or bottom of the expanded area. It takes a bit of practice to get use to it. I found that pining Internet Explorer to the Start Menu pin area and playing with it is easier to practice on at first.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/868-start-menu-menu.html
Relevancy 43.43%

On another installed Win7 system I opened START menu and entered

regedit

into the search entry field at the bottom. Then I hit RETURN.
Much to my surprise not the Registry Editor was opened but WinExplorer.

On my main computer the regedit tool is started.

So how can I tell Win7 to start regedit if I enter regedit?

Peter

A:How to start prgms from "search entry field" in START menu?

Starts regedit for me. What happens if you use windows Key + R regedit ??

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/206859-how-start-prgms-search-entry-field-start-menu.html
Relevancy 42.57%

hi there,

2 days ago i recognized that some items in my start menu have been hidden and replacec by a downside "arrow" ... see screenshot, .. im sure i've read somewhere about how to disable that and to have all items in "Programs" displayed without the arrow, .. but i cant remember where.

help me, this is so anoying

see these arrows right below the "moviemaker" entriy .. how can i get rid of them?

A:How to remove "arrows" from start (old fashioned start menu) ???

Hi seashell,
I assume you are using XP !!
Right click Start, Properties, Customize.
Look for and Uncheck Personalized Menus, OK , Apply , OK.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-remove-arrows-from-start-old-fashioned-start-menu.301767/
Relevancy 42.57%

this is the screenshot.You see "Start" letter is there and can't do anything about it. Left or right clicking doesn't do anyhting. It happened after i removed ViStart. I have tried reinstalling ViStart and removing it again but no changes.

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Waiting for help!!
Thanks

A:Start Menu problem. How do I remove "Start" letter

"start" in bottom corner after removing vistart

Right click on Taskbar and go to the Toolbar and see if it has a check mark.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/56205-start-menu-problem-how-do-i-remove-start-letter.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Ok i want to reorder my start menu and organize it? I just dont know why when i go and tight click the start button and choose explore all users it is diff from the actuall menu. Like for example outlook doesnt show up in explore all users? And i changed the name of a folder and it doesnt show? What to do?>..

A:start menu

try this
http://wickedorange-startmenuex.wick....qarchive.org/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/start-menu-198123.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi

When your Start/Program have too many program folders, you have to roll up or down , I want to make it a constant 2 or 3 Fix column, I know it's possible because I did it on 1 machine, now I forgot how LOL,

thx for any help

A:XP PRO Start Menu

Right click an empty spot on the taskbar, choose properties, click the start menu tab, advanced button, advanced tab, under start menu items scroll to Scroll Programs. Check it to scroll and uncheck it for multiple columns.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-start-menu.184265/
Relevancy 42.14%

on windwos 8 comptuer i found a folder in my user app data called start meun this is in the same place as where it is in windows 7 and i also found the star screen on as well so i know it is not that does that mean i can get the sdtar meun and if so how?

A:start menu

Start Menu - Restore in Windows 8
AND

Start menu replacements

And

A List Of Start Menu Replacements for Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/17740-start-menu.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I THINK I HAVE ALOT OF infections my virus scan has been disabled no start menu cant get to user accounts cant recover drive keep getting cannot find system32/winupdate.exe error and others tried all the spyware removal revoved things but still bad tried online virus scan but once i press start internet shuts off please help !!!

A:No Start Menu

Download these programs Superantispyware from www.superantispyware.com and nati-malware program from www.malwarebytes.com from a clean PC , transfer these files later onto a Usb or flash drive and then onto your pc, run a full system scan with both, and when your start menu disappears , is your desktop still active , as in, can you still click on icons and run programs from the desktop or does the entire EXPLORER.EXE thing crash?? If that keeps happening, run it manually by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del and in New Task type in EXPLORER.EXE and run these programs, hope this helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/139527/no-start-menu/
Relevancy 42.14%

I was messing with the start menu and moved stuff around. I can't explain it. Here's a picture...

http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/...tos.yahoo.com/

How would I go about getting rid of that white space I circled?

A:Start Menu

Hello and Welcome to the forums emmygirl13...................

Start

Control Panel

Task Bar & Start Menu

Start Menu Tab

Customize

Number of Programs on the Start Menu (The default is 6)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/start-menu-6280.html
Relevancy 42.14%

get my start menu to appear and clock

A:how do i get my start menu to appear

Press CTRL + ESC key to get start menu and task bar.Then rightclick to the task bar and choose properties.Uncheck Hide task bar automatically.Click Here on HowTo ask good Question to get best HelpLet us know, if the problem is solved !!!

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/how-do-i-get-my-start-menu-to-appear/66139.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I just recently reformatted my computer and whenever I open windows such as Internet Explorer Windows, or windows from "My Documents" and "My Computer", etc., the button does not show up on the start bar like it normally should. By button, I mean the little box of the window that allows the window to restore after it has been minimized. Whenever I minimize a window, it just disappears, and I can only bring it back by pressing "Alt+tab". This didn't happen before when I reformatted my hard drive in the past, but now it is, and it is very annoying and stressful. Please help!!!

A:Start Menu Bar HELP!!!!

MS-MVP Kelly Theriot has a little VBS utility to fix this issue:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...top_fixall.vbs

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/start-menu-bar-help-112633.html
Relevancy 42.14%

My start menu is swamped with programs, and I've cleared out the folder that holds them, but there are still things on the start list. How do I get rid of them? Manually right clicking will take about an hour because my computer seems extremely slow when the start menu is up

If I am understanding the problem correctly, as you add more and more programs, the listing of them in Start / Programs can get fairly long.
One solution is to categorize your programs into several groups, create a folder for those groups, and move the shortcuts to those folders.

For example:

Start the Explorer
Go to Windows / Start Menu / Programs
Create new folders with the categories you want (e.g. Graphics, Utilities, Internet etc.)
Now move the shortcuts to those programs in Windows / Start Menu / Programs to whichever category you decide.
This can greatly reduce clutter and make it a lot easier to find your programs.

Note: Windows2000 and WindowsXP Users will need to go to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs directory

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/start-menu.320553/
Relevancy 42.14%

hi.... i dont know what i did. but in the start menu... when i go to programs...it says empty....i have to right click and "explore all users" to get it...and that gives me a folder...how can i get it back to being in the start menu like it should

Hi jessr06
Click Start>Run. Type "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" (no quotes) in the box and hit your enter key.
You should get a "succesful" message. Reboot your system.
If you are not logged in as admin, you'll need to be first.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/50646/start-menu/
Relevancy 42.14%

why is it that the 'pin to start menu' option is not available when rt clk on most shortcuts.

it seems to work for some shortcuts (ones on the desktop) and most program files, but if I rt clk a shortcut in WE the option is not there.

A:Pin to start menu

found it - I need to do a SHIFT rt clk. in WE, which is not necessary on the desktop AND not necessary if I want to pin a shortcut to an exe file from WE.

Don't u just love M$ consistency???????????????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pin-to-start-menu.1006839/
Relevancy 42.14%

I work at a helpdesk in afghanistan and a guy brings in his computer saying he can't connect to the domain which I automatically asume its a cable issue We run off of different IP addresses menu No start in my building so I log on as local admin to change the IP ADD to my VLAN and realize theres no start menu Nothing happens when I No start menu hit the windows button All the Icons are on the desktop and I can click on them just fine I can use CTRL ALT DELETE just fine and start EXPORER EXE But nothing happens when I hit the windows button I noticed the SHIFT key is broken and it could possibly be sticking but I still don't see how that would relate to this issue Opened a new text document and typed No start menu and it doesn't look like the shift key is on But I can't figure out what to do and I don't want to reimage it

A:No start menu

Does CTRL+Escape work? What OS is this?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-start-menu-581760.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hello

I'm trying to Remove The Windows Logo From The Start Menu But I Cant Figure It Out Can Some One Help Me Out Or Is There No Way
Heres A Pic

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-on-start-me-menu.593780/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hey mates,

Today I want to ask something somewhat luxurious.

We have always been used to seeing the Start Menu on the bottom of our screen. So, I was looking for a change.

Is there anyway to keep the Start Menu on the top(reverse position)?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Regards
HDM

A:Start Menu On Top?

Hello,

You can just move your taskbar to the top of your screen,

Taskbar - Move Location on Desktop Screen

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/181456-start-menu-top.html
Relevancy 42.14%

My Start Up Menu always automatically comes on whenever I turn on the computer. I haven't configured it like that because I don't even know how.
How can I turn on the computer without getting startup menu automatically?

A:Start Up Menu

I am not sure. Some of my computers do that and some do. But does it really matter?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/72381/start-up-menu/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi all

I am having trouble with one of my PC. I did a fresh install twice but everytime my start menu, all programs is inaccesible. The programs list is there, just that i can't navigate or click on any of the programs in the listing

If u need anything else to diagnose this problem, please let me know.

Thanks

A:Start menu

Did you completely erase the HDD and then reinstall Windows on it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/start-menu-255647.html
Relevancy 42.14%

OK so I go to my Start Menu, then select all programs. So all the programs come up. With all these program folders, there's another folder called "Programs" which seems to be a replica of the "all programs."So within my "all programs", there's a folder called "Programs" that when you click on it, it shows again, the "all programs."I don't know how it got there, but i can't delete it because it says I need permission.Here are some screens:Thanks for your help

When you right-click on it and select Properties, what does it say?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248216/start-menu/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have used Vista several times of the course of the last 1 and a half years and always the same thing The start menu gets messed up. I create folders tuneup, games, media etc... to keep things organised I reinstalled vista last week and last night I download winamp for shoutcast and went to launch something and saw a folder in the menu called programs it was a copy of everthing in my start menu? I deleted it and now there is nothing in the all programs menu I really like vista and contrary to what some (experts) say my games play much smoother in vista than XP. I really dont want to use xp but If I have to redo my start shorcuts everyday I will probably go back. Does anyone have any idea on what my be causing this

Relevancy 42.14%

I have too many things automatically starting and want to eliminate some. My operating system is Win XP. It used to be easy with 98 but I can't do it with XP. Can you help? Thank you.

Relevancy 42.14%

Hi All,

I Have Win 7 of Course or i wouldnt be on this forum im sick of the ugly white back drop in my start menu I want to know how i can change it WITHOUT the use of 3rd party apps thanks in advance

Abraham

This question's been asked quite a bit, and plenty of times it's gone unanswered. If I remember right, you will have to use a 3rd party app, called Resource Hacker (it's free). You'd edit something in the Explorer.exe file, I think, but I have no idea where in the file you'd have to edit.
I'd think a theme designer would come around and help you with what resource needs edited, exactly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/105109-start-menu.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Does anyone know why i dont have a start menu I just scanned my computer and found clean a bunch of trojans but i still dont see a start menu this is my highj log file Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS AOLacsd exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager iaantmon exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C PROGRA TRENDM INTERN Tmntsrv exe C PROGRA TRENDM INTERN tmproxy exe C Program Files Intel IntelDH Intel R start no menu Quick Resume Technology ELService exe C PROGRA TRENDM INTERN TmPfw exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C WINDOWS stsystra exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager iaanotif exe C Program Files Dell Media Experience DMXLauncher exe C Program Files Intel Modem Event Monitor IntelMEM exe C no start menu Program Files Java j re bin jucheck exe no start menu C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C Program Files Real RealPlayer RealPlay exe C Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mm tray exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C WINDOWS no start menu System DLA DLACTRLW EXE C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exe C program files zango zango exe C Program Files MUSICMATCH Musicmatch Jukebox mim exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopIndex exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopDisplay exe C Program Files MUSICMATCH Musicmatch Jukebox MMDiag exe C Program Files DAEMON Tools daemon exe C WINDOWS vsnpstd exe C Program Files Corel Corel Photo Album MediaDetect exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLHostManager exe C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLServiceHost exe C Program Files Dell Support DSAgnt exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security TMAS OE TMAS OEMon exe C PROGRA AIM aim exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files America Online aoltray exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLServiceHost exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe D ABIT exe C Program Files Corel Corel Photo Album Photo Album exe C Documents and Settings Richard Ye Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http google bearshare com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dell com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www dell com R - URLSearchHook AOLTBSearch Class - EA - - DB- F -D CA FB C D - C Program Files AOL AOL Toolbar aoltb dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO My Global Search Bar BHO - B A - B- - CAD- E - C Program Files MyGlobalSearch bar bin MGSBAR DLL O - BHO Zango Search Assistant Helper fleok D A A CEE F ED BB EB E B EFD A C D - F D - BF- -A B- CF F - c program files zango zangohook dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS System DLA DLASHX W DLL O - BHO ZangoToolbar - CBE -C B- F- BC- CBB E D - C Program Files ZangoToolbar Bin ZbHostIE dll O - BHO BitComet Toolbar Helper - A B... Read more

A:no start menu

hi, welcome to TSG.
Download the pocket killbox

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php

Download AVG Anti-Spyware

http://www.ewido.net/en/
* Once you have downloaded AVG Anti-spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
* Once the setup is complete you will need run Ewido and update the definition files.
* On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.
* Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
* Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
* Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Delete"
* Under "Reports"
* Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
* Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close AVG Anti-Spyware. Anti-spyware, Do NOT run a scan yet. We will do that later in safe mode.

* Click here to download ATF Cleaner by Atribune and save it to your desktop.

http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html
* Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
* Under Main choose: Select All
* Click the Empty Selected button.
o If you use Firefox:
+ Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
+ Click the Empty Selected button.
+ NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
o If you use Opera:
+ Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
+ Click the Empty Selected button.
+ NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
* Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
* Click here for info on how to boot to safe mode if you don't already know
how.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

* Now copy these instructions to notepad and save them to your desktop. You
will need them to refer to in safe mode.
* Restart your computer into safe mode now. Perform the following steps in
safe mode:

have hijack this fix these entries. close all browsers and programmes before
clicking FIX.

O2 - BHO: My Global Search Bar BHO - {37B85A21-692B-4205-9CAD-2626E4993404} - C:\Program Files\MyGlobalSearch\bar\1.bin\MGSBAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: Zango Search Assistant Helper /fleok=1D8A83A5CEE2167F84ED38741BB42EB9E396267B99EFD67A5C7D4220 - {56F1D444-11BF-4879-A12B-79CF0177F038} - c:\program files\zango\zangohook.dll
O2 - BHO: ZangoToolbar - {5CBE2611-C31B-401F-89BC-4CBB25E853D7} - C:\Program Files\ZangoToolbar\Bin\4.8.2.0\ZbHostIE.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {6f4421f4-b637-49e8-85d0-76c29f35afa6} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drwthz.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: My Global Search Bar - {37B85A29-692B-4205-9CAD-2626E4993404} - C:\Program Files\MyGlobalSearch\bar\1.bin\MGSBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: ZangoToolbar - {5CBE2611-C31B-401F-89BC-4CBB25E853D7} - C:\Program Files\ZangoToolbar\Bin\4.8.2.0\ZbHostIE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zango] "c:\program files\zango\zango.exe"
O16 - DPF: {DECEAAA2-370A-49BB-9362-68C3A58DDC62} (SAIX) - http://static.zangocash.com/cab/Zang...8a8b93e75306fe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: drwthz - drwthz.dll (file missing)

Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it. Now put a tick by Standard File Kill.
In the Full Path of File to Delete box, copy and paste each of the following
lines one at a time then click on the button that has the red circle with the
X in the middle after you enter each file. It will ask for confirmation to
delete the file. Click Yes. Continue with that same procedure until you have
copied and pasted all of these in the Paste Full Path of File to Delete box.

Note: It is possible that Killbox will tell you that one or more files do not
exist. If that happens, just continue on with all the files. Be sure you
don't miss any.

C:\Program Files\MyGlobalSearch\bar\1.bin\MGSBAR.DLL
c:\... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-start-menu.513946/
Relevancy 42.14%

I decided I like having the taskbar at the left side, and what bugs me is that the start menu opens at the top.. Is there a registry hack or something so that it opens flat on the bottom like when the taskbar is on the bottom?

A:Start menu help?

That's always been at the top once you move to one side or the other. This is why I move the bar all the way to the top to see nothing but empty space under the start except for the RocketDock toolbar set to auto hide itself unless capturing a new desktop.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/10770-start-menu-help.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I have Windows xp and my format is the one other than classic. I am having this annoying problem that every time I restart my computer however I have rearranged my start menu/most recently used programs list - it reverts back to the very original layout (i.e. with "tour windows xp" etc). I am hoping someone has a solution to this problem that doesn't involve me reformatting my computer again.

How to Suppress the Windows Tour Prompt in Windows XP

Even easier, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#303 right side..."disable the windows xp tour"

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/start-menu.317490/
Relevancy 42.14%

I recently installed a new video card for my computer and after I did for some reason I can t see the start menu or taskbar anymore but yesterday I found out that it was like on the right of the screen but like off the screen - - and somehow got it to come out to its normal position at the bottom of the screen and i locked taskbar and all then today i turn on my computer and its gone again I saw someone else have a simliar problem too and they thought it was a virus or something or spyware of somesort Im not sure what it is but could someone help me Here is the Hijackthis log Logfile of HijackThis v START Menu No Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files No START Menu Java jre bin jusched exe C windows system hpsysdrv exe C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C WINDOWS VM STI EXE C WINDOWS System igfxtray exe C Program Files DefenderPro AntiSpy DPASNT exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files RegistrySmart RegistrySmart exe C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Defender Pro Defender Pro Firewall KAVPF exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files DefenderPro AntiSpy AntiSpy TSAntiSpy exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Documents and Settings Owner Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN CA amp c Q amp bd presario amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iesearch amp locale EN CA amp c Q amp bd presario amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN CA amp c Q amp bd presario amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iesearch amp locale EN CA amp c Q amp bd presario amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN CA amp c Q amp bd presario amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - DA F-A AA- CCF-A - E FD - no file O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO OsbornTech Popup Blocker - C AE C - - DDC-B -C AFB F AE - C Program Files DefenderPro AntiSpy PopupBlocker PopupBlocker dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar Defender Pro Anti-Scam - BAD B-CD - ff- FF-A C ABD F D - C Program Files Defender Pro Defender Pro Anti-Scam mscoree dll O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run hpsysdrv c windows system hpsysdrv exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run Recguard C WINDOWS SMINST RECGUARD EXE O - HKLM Run VTTimer VTTimer exe O - HKLM ... Read more

A:No START Menu

have you installed teh drivers for the new card

it sounds like NO & windows has defaulted to standard VGA settings

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-start-menu.553046/
Relevancy 42.14%

How do i get my start menu back to the bottom of the screen?Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Is your task bar also not at the bottom of the screen?If the task bar is not on the bottom of the screen, just click on any vacant space on the task bar and "drag" it to the bottom. If it won't move, you may have to "unlock" the task bar by right-clicking on the taskbar and un-checking "lock taskbar".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/60524/start-menu/