Windows Support Forum

File Thumbnails & Tags Not Showing in Explorer

Q: File Thumbnails & Tags Not Showing in Explorer

Hi,
I know there are some threads about this. but I couldn't solve my problem using those. so I decided to make a new thread instead of bumping the old ones.
Well, Here is my problem:
recently I installed a fresh copy of windows 8 on my PC. it was nothing wrong with it till I installed Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 (v. 10.1.0.867) & did a reboot.
Now non of my files including picture, audio & video files show thumbnails or even tags (ex mp3 files).
I've tried the solutions stated about turning thumbnails on & off with no luck. in my folder options the option "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is UNCHECKED.

Has anybody faced the problem?? Is the issue from Kaspersky?? Are there any workarounds??

I truly Appreciate any help.

PS. I also have some difficulties pinning folders to windows explorer taskbar icon since then.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: File Thumbnails & Tags Not Showing in Explorer

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: File Thumbnails & Tags Not Showing in Explorer

How about trying to do a system restore?
System Restore - How to Do in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/20828-file-thumbnails-tags-not-showing-explorer.html
Relevancy 24.94%

So I was downloading a game . After the download finished a clicked on play to well.... Start playing and something wierd happened. My screen went blue (screen colour when nothing in being recieved) At first I thought it was the in game resolution so I tried pressing alt and enter to change the view from full screen to windowed. I also tried pressing alt and f4 to try and close the game but still nothing was showing. So I hard reseted my pc. The msi logo boot up shows normally but after the logo the screen stops showing anything. I tried changing hdmi ports and the first time this happened it fixed the problem. But because I'm stupid I tried booting up the game again and the same thing happened but changing ports didn't work this time. I tried everything but nothing has worked. If anyone could help it would be very appreciated. Also I can't boot into safe mode because I'm using win8.1 and also an ssd.

My specs: msi mobo
Gpu: gtx 760 2gb
8gb ram
SSD
Normal HDDHDD
600W power supply

Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-not-showing-output.215936/
Relevancy 24.51%

Today, my external hard drive has not appeared on my PC. It did work before I went to sleep yet when I began my PC in the next morning, it didn't show. Can you please help me how to fix this?

A:External hard drive not showing up on my PC

Hello there,

There are a lot of different reasons for an HDD to stop showing. A few things you can try are:

Try using a different USB cable, make sure it is as short as the original one, or even shorter. This is important it terms of providing enough power for the drive to function properly.

Try connecting it to different USB ports.

Try connecting it to a different PC.

Sometimes the drive can misbehave due to insufficient power even if it appears to be spinning make sure you connect the HDD directly to the USB port and not through a USB hub.

Check if you can see the HDD in Windows Device Manager and in Disk Management. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-my-pc.209548/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a Gateway NE56R34u Laptop, I tried to check the drivers in device manager and it seems that everything has been installed properly or no missing drivers found but when I tried to check some of my hardware in DXDIAG showing N/A for (operating system, processor video etc.) I also tried to update it or uninstall the driver but still the same help me out please thank you

A:Have drivers but showing in DXDIAG N/A

I also uploaded some information so atleast it will be easier for some to determine my issue thank you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/have-drivers-but-showing-in-dxdiag-n-a.215501/
Relevancy 24.08%

My 320 GB Seagate external hard drive is detected but not showing up in my computer. What should I do?

In cmd> diskpart> list volume it does not show up. (screenshot attached)

In Device Manager it gets detected. (screenshot attached)

In disk management it shows up as 'unallocated'. If I initialize it, will I lose all data on the drive? It had 4 partitions. (screenshot attached)

In My Computer also it does not show up. (screenshot attached)
Even BIOS recognizes it.

What to do? I don't want to lose any data on the drive. If I initialize it in device manager will I lose data?

I was installing window XP on my computer, usually I remove the external drive but this time I did not. The external drive was shown as 4 drives in partition manager during installation. But the installation failed. The next time I was installing windows again, the external drive was shown as 1 single unknown or unrecognized drive. I'm not sure if it was unknown or unrecognized. I'm sure I didn't format it. So what I need to do now? I don't want to lose any data.

A:Seagate external hard drive not showing up in my computer. It is detected.

Yes, if you initialize it you will 'lose' everything. You will want to try something like [email protected] Recovery or maybe Easeus Partition Recovery.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-it-is-detected.205926/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have 2 new external hard discs do show on my computer .They are running but not showing in PC.What to do ? Thank you

A:External hard drives not showing up

Hello,

I'm not completely certain that I understood your situation. I wonder if it's possible to clarify the question? Otherwise Disk Management is a good place to start looking for a missing HDD.
If the HDD is brand new you might need to initialize it. This is needed if below the disk it says ?Not Initialized?. Right-click on the Disk that says ?Not Initialized? and click ?Initialize Disk?. Then you will have the option to choose between MBR and GPT. If the drive is more than 2 TB you should use GPT, if not you could use MBR as well. Once the Disk is listed as Basic and online right click the unallocated space and click create a ?New Simple Volume?. For the file system choose ?NTFS? if you want to use the HDD on Windows.

Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drives-not-showing-up.205942/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a sony SD Card 16gb class 4 card. I did use the card for almost 3 months, when I tried to use it now, I am not able to access the card,

I tried recovery softwares like recova etc to recover the file, but I was not able to recover even a single byte.

I have many importants files in the CARD, PLEASE HELP ME...,.

Thanks

A:Data recovery SD Card not accessible, says incorrect function showing unknown format

I think >>this thread<< could help you out . He seems to have the same problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-sd-card-not-accessible-says-incorrect-function-showing-unknown-format.201611/
Relevancy 24.08%

The Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive I'm using is from my old laptop it has 4 disks.
After I put it in the (IT-CEO IT-700) enclosure, and connect it to my new laptop it does not show up in 'My Cumputer' and 'Disk Management', but displays in the 'device and printer' section of control pannel.
I also can't eject the hard drive, even when I'm not doing anything to it, the (IT-CEO IT-700) enclusre's blue signal light just keeps flashing for a while then goes off for a sec, then resume flashing again.
My laptop also keeps trying to install the hard drive.

I tried reinstall the hard drive's driver, but that did not solve the problem.

Please Help.

A:External Hard drive not showing up in 'My Computer', and 'Disk Management'

Have you tried using different drive enclosure other than the IT-CEO IT-700?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-and-disk-management.201875/
Relevancy 24.51%

HELP!!!

I have a 500gb external hard drive which, up until a few days ago, was working absolutely fine.

When I would plug it in to my laptop the device was found under 'my computer'.but would not open. Instead when I tried to open it my computer froze and the 'not responding' message was shown, resulting in a forced close of my computer. Now when I attach the hard drive and open 'my computer' the hard drive does not show at all, but 'my computer' still shows the message 'not responding', resulting in a forced close.

I've been on to a couple of forums already and tried the route of right clicking 'my computer', 'manage' and 'disk management'; but the hard drive does not appear there.

I'm at a total loss what to do and would massively appreciate your help as I have backed up company data on to this hard drive.

Thank you in advance!

A:External hard drive not showing in My Computer

Hey pcrquals. I would try the drive in another pc to narrow down where the problem is, a problem with the drive itself, or a problem with the pc recognizing the drive, which might be a problem with the USB port(s) or with the USB drivers. Does another USB device like a flashdrive work when plugged into the same port?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-in-my-computer.191206/
Relevancy 18.06%

MY WD 500GB USB HD just yesterday stopped working normally, it was working fine two days ago. When I connect the drive via USB it appears as a different drive letter for some reason Local Disk : I then disappears. My laptop makes two noises one that I've connected a device to the laptop then another noise which is when I disconnect a device. It makes this connection/disconnection noise when the HD is plugged in numerous times every minute or so.

The HD doesn't appear in windows explorer but appears in devices.

Very strange and unusual any ideas?

A:WD 500GB USB HD not appearing in Windows Explorer

Can anyone assist??

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-500gb-usb-hd-not-appearing-in-windows-explorer.200467/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hello! I live in a college apartment (so no access to router). When I hook up my ethernet cable to my computer, all of my messengers work and are connected but I cannot use internet browsers. I recently reformatted my computer and was using a wireless adaptor, but here the internet is so slow that there's really no point and for a decent connection you need to be plugged into the wall. The wall connection worked fine until I reformatted.

This happened before when I moved to my first college and had to use the ethernet cable. I've done everything from messing around with internet explorer proxy settings and whatnot, but what did work was something I found in a thread. It instructed me to go somewhere and delete a file that was blocking the internet part, I guess? I deleted this setting/file and the ethernet connection worked just fine afterwards. I can't find this thread (probably not on this website) anymore. Does anyone here know possibly what the file was?

A:Help locating a file to help my ethernet work again

Check for optional Windows Updates, specifically a network driver. The most common name is Realtek.

And/or try installing this driver. - Software: Drivers & Utilities

If still no go, which computer do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-locating-a-file-to-help-my-ethernet-work-again.200022/
Relevancy 16.77%

I m working one replacing our file server at work The one we currently have was built around and is starting to show its age So I m thinking new server time The server will be for a copy shop that specializes in house plans and construction plans We store lots of large pdf and tiff files Also have a full service sign shop so lots of Illustrator and Photoshop files - may of the raster graphics are New server file FreeNas quite large ft x ft sign dpi takes up a lot of space New FreeNas file server The server will need to connect to - computers at any one time with upto printers amp copiers active on the network at any one time I already have a fairly decent switch with one port having gigabit Ethernet that the file server will be plugged into and there reset of the ports being megabit Ethernet ports of the files we work with are storage on the file server - form house plans to large commercial building plans to customer artwork and designs for both small format printing and large format They are loaded modified saved and printed while on the server I strongly discourage anyone storing files locally as there are no backups on the individual computers only on the file server Both local and through Crashplan Anyways onto the hardware I already have the process from another project that didn t pan out Intel Xeon E - V Ivy Bridge GHz Mobo SUPERMICRO MBD-X SCL-F-O Case Fractal Design Define R PSU Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG- M W ATX Ram Kingston GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR Server Memory Model KVR D E SK G HDD s Seagate NAS HDD ST VN TB x I plan to put the HDD into a Raid-Z which should give me about TB of space I have built several gaming computers and graphic design computers before but never a server I think I have a fairly good built here but would certainly welcome input from someone with more experience in this area than me nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-freenas-file-server.200039/
Relevancy 24.51%

My graphic card showing error on Pc starting
When I start the computer it restarting with this error vt-x1550pci256

this error showing on top left on screen what I do Now ?

if u want more information let me know.
ps : sorry for my bad english

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-radeon-x1550-error-showing.199875/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi , since I reinstalled windows 7, am not seeing the wifi icon anymore , all I see is the ethernet icon with a red cross , even though am connected to a wifi, here is a screenshot http://prntscr.com/2fpmcu , I've tried a lot of tips ,posted in alot of forums , but none helped , I have the network icon enabled on the Notification Area Icons , but still doesnt work, I hope u'll give me a solution here , am already tired of this thing , annoying .
Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-icon-not-showing.199011/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi guys im not sure what the problem here or if this is supposed to happen I have the latest AMd drivers for my video card I have checked direct x version and every thing and im not sure where to go now google hasnt helped much I was wondering if you guys knew what a solution could be here is my specs Operating System Windows Home Premium -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model HP Pavilion dv Notebook PC BIOS InsydeH O Version CCB F Processor AMD A - M APU with Radeon tm HD Graphics CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX the main problem is as you can see in the pic below is everything is n a and there are no driver details either Could this cuase slight graphics problems when playing games and such nbsp

A:Dual graphics card showing up as N/a DXdiag

firz3h said:

Hi guys im not sure what the problem here or if this is supposed to happen. I have the latest AMd drivers for my video card I have checked direct x version and every thing and im not sure where to go now google hasnt helped much. I was wondering if you guys knew what a solution could be.

the main problem is as you can see in the pic below is everything is n/a and there are no driver details either. Could this cuase slight graphics problems when playing games and such?

View attachment 77579

also not sure if it installed correctly as it shows up like this in device manager

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-graphics-card-showing-up-as-n-a-dxdiag.198839/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi Everyone - I occasionally have to share a large file between one person and another for work I was using yousendit which worked site large closed Reliable Yousendit needed... file-sharing fine they have changed to be hightail and they have a blog - at their blog there are many comments circa oct about it now not working and being buggy So I don t want to go with that I am looking for current suggestions of a site for file sharing I am willing to pay a modest fee month like to know it will work well and Reliable large file-sharing site needed... Yousendit closed not junk up anyone s computer with any trashy downloader and is very simple to use - I cannot spend a lot of time teaching people with various levels of web savvy and computer savvy how to make an acct log in work some elaborate quot unique quot interface and so on I would prefer a service where an email goes to the recipient s email address they click on the link and from that easily select an option to download I am not sharing burned CDs or DVDs - I just need to share work-related audio recordings from the person recording to a transcriber When I look at reviews on the web it seems that services change a lot over time so I don t want to go for what had great reviews a year ago Please help with suggestions -Thanks nbsp

A:Reliable large file-sharing site needed... Yousendit closed

Look at shutterfly.com

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reliable-large-file-sharing-site-needed-yousendit-closed.197694/
Relevancy 14.62%

In Windows 8, whenever we copy any exe files to USB device/pen drive, there is an Interrupted Action dialog saying that "the file has properties that can't be copied to the new location". How to fix this issue?

A:Windows 8 File Copy "Interrupted Action" Issue

I missed to say that there is an easier alternative method to copy files with properties is by creating image of the files need to be copied. For example, iso, daa , bin, etc.
Even if we use alternate methods, we need an easy solution to fix the main issue without any tools or software.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-8-file-copy-interrupted-action-issue.196667/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hello,
About one weak ago unfortunately I wiped my internal storage and Iost my everything,
I tried to recover my data using hexamob android application(My device is samsung galaxy tab 8.9)
After two times trying, I recovered almost 32GB of data but almost all of them are in dbf format which I'm not familiar with, so I don't know if it is possible to recover these files to my images, movies, etc
Any helps desperately appreciated

A:Recovering a recovered file which is in dbf format

dbf files are used for Database storage - - you need the application that created them to access the data

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-a-recovered-file-which-is-in-dbf-format.196624/
Relevancy 16.77%

I've got a SanDisk memory stick and I've used it for a couple of years and have had no trouble but recently 2 files (autorun and starter) have come up and I've tried to delete them and it wouldn't work, so I tried to open starter application but nothing happened.

Does anyone know how remove them?

A:Starter application and autorun file won't go away

You can always format the SD

another choice is to disable AUTORUN on you system

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/starter-application-and-autorun-file-wont-go-away.194684/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello. I want to find out why Windows does this cheking to my Memory Card. It happened while booting. After "Checking file system on D:
The type of the file system is FAT32." and other stuffs like: "Unrecoverable error in folder \System Volume Information\catalog.wci.", or "\Sounds\FosterThePeople-PumpedUpKicks(ButchClancyRMX).mp3 first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated." and "Cross link resolved by copying.
\Images\IMG00502-20121218-1525.jpg is cross-linked on allocation unit 6984." After this proces Windows started normaly. I've cheked my documents on the card and found out that some images were damaged and some old music appeared, but only samples, from about 18 seconds to 56. I foud, also, a "BOOTEX.LOG" file, written in Notepad. Could you explain what happened, please? &sorry if there are some bad spelled words.

A:Checking file system on D: The type of the file system is FAT32

It perhaps got removed incorrectly while some programs still had the file data open/in memory. I'd pull everything off the card, format it, and put the data back.

What is the card in? Does it have to be FAT32? Could you use ExFAT instead?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/checking-file-system-on-d-the-type-of-the-file-system-is-fat32.193835/
Relevancy 16.34%

I recently started using a gigabit switch alongside my TP-Link router.

My room is setup like a LAN area, with a desk long enough for 4 pc's, so I have 4 cables running from the switch to the computers.

My router is providing DHCP and has a PS3 and VOIP phone plugged up to it.

Is there anything blaring that would cause the machines not to transfer files at gigabit speeds? Currently they transfer at 10-12mbps, which is normal for a 10/100 connection.

Anything I'm missing?

I can get into a lot of detail, but I need to know what needs to be told.

A:Home Network Routing - Using a Switch for file transfers?

Weakest link in the chain prevails.

Code:

ISP=Router--switch-- PC{1+}
|
+--- other device(s)

Consider just devices attached to the router, the slowest Nic {wired or wifi} will control the bandwidth to the device. A PC with a 10/100 adapter dominate data to/from it regardless of the GB Switch. If PC.a and PC.b (both with GB adapters and attached to the switch) copy 'twix each other, you may get much better performance.

Data to/from other devices (attached to the router) will be dominated by the Router LAN port speeds or the devices themselves.

99% of us get no benefit whatsoever from GB routers or Switches as all devices need GB ratings :sigh:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-routing-using-a-switch-for-file-transfers.192722/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello First time posting here I apologize if this is not in the correct forum Anyway I have been having some showing device Dxdiag not display trouble with my graphics card drivers I experienced some graphical glitches followed by a blue screen of death a few days ago and since then my graphics card has not been working I have groups of vertical lines running down my screen My dxdiag does not show anything for display device I am using Dxdiag not showing display device an NVIDIA GeForce GTS and when I open the device manager it gives me error code for display adapters Additionally when I try to open the NVIDIA control Dxdiag not showing display device panel it says I am not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU I have reinstalled the drivers several times using both the express and custom clean install I have run driver sweeper in safe mode Nothing I have done has had any effect Please help At this point I am assuming I need a new graphics card but am hoping there might be another issue Here is my dxdiag ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name DAN-PC Operating System Windows Ultimate -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer System manufacturer System Model System Product Name BIOS BIOS Date Ver Processor Intel R Core TM CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name Manufacturer Chip type DAC type Device Key Enum Display Memory n a Dedicated Memory n a Shared Memory n a Current Mode x bit Hz Driver Name Driver File Version Driver Version DDI Version unknown Driver Model unknown Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size bytes WHQL Logo d n a WHQL Date Stamp n a Device Identifier D B EE - - CF-B -B DAEC CB Vendor ID x Device ID x SubSys ID x Revision ID x Driver Strong Name Unknown Rank Of Driver Unknown Video Accel Deinterlace Caps n a D D Overlay n a DXVA-HD n a DDraw Status Not Available D D Status Not Available AGP Status Not Available ------------- Sound Devices ------------- Description Speakers High Definition Audio Device Default Sound Playback Yes Default Voice Playback Yes Hardware ID HDAUDIO FUNC amp VEN EC amp DEV amp SUBSYS B amp REV Manufacturer ID Product ID Type WDM Driver Name HdAudio sys Driver Version English Driver Attributes Final Retail WHQL Logo d Yes Date and Size bytes Other Files Driver Provider Microsoft HW Accel Level Basic Cap Flags xF F Min Max Sample Rate Static Strm HW Mix Bufs Static Strm HW D Bufs HW Memory Voice Management No EAX tm Listen Src No No I DL tm Listen Src No No Sensaura tm ZoomFX tm No Description Digital Audio S PDIF High Definition Audio Device Default Sound Playback No Default Voice Playback No Hardware ID HDAUDIO FUNC amp VEN EC amp DEV amp SUBSYS B amp REV Manufacturer ID Product ID Type WDM Driver Name HdAudio sys Driver Version English Driver Attributes Final Retail WHQL Logo d Yes Date and Size bytes Other Files Driver Provider Microsoft HW Accel Level Basic Cap Flags xF F Min Max Sample Rate Static Strm HW Mix Bufs Static Strm HW D Bufs HW Memory Voice Management No EAX tm Listen Src No No I DL tm Listen Src No No Sensaura tm ZoomFX tm No Description Digital Audio S PDIF High Definition Audio Device Default Sound Playback No Default Voice Playback No Hardware ID HDAUDIO FUNC amp VEN EC amp DEV am... Read more

A:Dxdiag not showing display device

Are you sure your DVI, display port, HDMI, etc is connected to the graphics card not to the onboard graphics? Try reseating the card on another PCIe x16 slot. Make sure the display connections are connected to the GPU not the onboard graphics. Do the clean install to the latest stable drivers (314). Driver sweeper should have cured any software issues. If the reseating, checking the connectors, etc doesnt work, it is most likely an issue with the card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dxdiag-not-showing-display-device.192194/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi,
I used my computer to transfer back up files from an old hard drive to a brand new one. I did not open the individual files, just cut/pasted them onto the new drive. Well the new drive dies on me and I no longer have the old drive.
I was wondering if my computer copied the files onto itself during the transfer process and if it did, is there any way I can recover them?
Any assistance you can provide will be appreciated.

A:File transfer/copy

Ouch; Especially for large transfers, file movement from media{a} -> media{b} use no intermediate cache or temp files. IMO, unless CHKDSK c: /F /R can fix the new drive, I think you're in deep dodo.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-transfer-copy.191860/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have a asus a8n delexe sli which gaves the above error when I do alt f2 on post to enter the flash utility. I was driven to reinstall bios or upgrade it because I am getting freezing; reboot issues; missing drivers; unrecognised hardware issues etc. I have swapped out drives, video cards, reinstalled OS and even swapped PSU to no avail. So has my motherboard just had it?
I folllowed asus instructions and copied the bios to a floppy disk and tried to flash from that. Although I copied all three files in the downloaded zip so I presume it would select the exe file automatically. I will download again. Should it work if I copied to a blank CD? I presume the bios would automatically pull the exe from any device besides the hard drive? I get this error with or without the floppy inserted?

A:BIOS image file check sum error

Did you finally get this solved?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-image-file-check-sum-error.190931/
Relevancy 24.94%

Purchased a Seagate TB SATA- rpm MB however when I hook it up to my existing system it shows as MB in explorer but GB in BIOS Called Seagate tech he gave me an intel link to update my MOBO however as it isnt over GB the update is no help - he asked did I use the seatools programme and I had already run a quick scan whcih it passed Ive tried to format the drive to seatools it took hours and didnt change anything tried it in a new build im doing but wont allow me to install windows and stops at the initial loading windows files dos screen at the beginning again BIOS shows full capacity Mobo on running machine is ASUS M a GTD Pro -AM and New build has a ASRock GX extreme Seagate guy asked me to run full hour scan on the drive this evening using seatools and see what outcome is Anybody out there experianced similar problems nbsp

A:Seagate HDD 2TB showing as 38MB

What version of Windows are you running?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-hdd-2tb-showing-as-38mb.191379/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey,
I am using a USB keyboard and it is showing weird bahaviour It stops working all of a sudden and then to make it work I have to unplug it and then plug again,but the problem resurfaces...
please help...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-showing-weird-behaviour.191090/
Relevancy 18.06%

I suspected I had malware, but went through many steps on the other forum topic to have the same problem of internet explorer not responding. It will not load any webpages. I've done a repair install of Windows 7 SP1 and all the critical/important updates have been installed. I am using IE9. Any ideas what could be causing this problem? It seems to have started about a week ago. Google Chrome doesn't seem to be affected, but sometimes it seems resources are being used by something else. That is why I suspected a virus or malware. Any suggestions? Could this be a hardware problem?

A:Internet Explorer not responding

First issue is to resolve the question

is tcp configured so I can access the Internet
if it is, then what's stopping the browser(s)
Solving (1).

Get a command prompt (start->run->cmd) and enter

ping 8.8.8.8
If you get timeouts, then tcp is a mess.

if you get timing data, then try

ping google.com
If you get timing data, the TCP is just fine, otherwise the first ping worked by the second doesn't means
the TCP settings for your DNS are missing or wrong

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-explorer-not-responding.190933/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have a previously functional hard drive that is no longer recognized by the BIOS Other drives are working fine Just not this one It has no scary not up drive in showing Hard BIOS clicking or grinding noises It sounds lovely in fact Normal health read and spinning sounds It even has the gyroscope Hard drive not showing up in BIOS feel if I pick it up Stuff I have tried unsuccessfully Restart the computer Restart the computer again just in case Swap out cabling Use an external power source Use a SATA-to-USB adapter Use a different motherboard Hard drive not showing up in BIOS with a different BIOS and a different power supply Use a different motherboard with the USB adapter Swap out the controller board for a new one--same model and revision but stole the flash memory chip off the old board so it had its calibration information right I m thinking that the platters and read head and all are good I seem to have ruled out the controller board as the culprit Anybody have any ideas what might be the issue nbsp

A:Hard drive not showing up in BIOS

You've pulled out all the stops. If the BIOS doesn't see the drive, there's not really anything more you can do. Drive has failed somehow. Send back to mfg. if still under warranty. Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-bios.180980/
Relevancy 24.94%

At the weekend I installed an Asus P5W DH Deluxe after memory problems with P5Q Deluxe. I installed my 4Gb of Corsair RAM and it was showing 4Gb during POST. However, in the past 24hrs it is displaying 3.2Gb with the remaining 800Mb going towards 'Appropriated Memory'.

Why has this suddenly happened? I've never seen it happen on my other P5W DH mobo or the P5Q Deluxe.

Tom.

A:My RAM was showing 4GB in POST, now it shows 3.2GB?

Are you installing a 32-bit operating system?

A 32-bit operating system will not allow full use of your 4GB memory. If you want to use more than 3.2GB (give or take a few hundred MB), you will need a 64-bit operating system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-ram-was-showing-4gb-in-post-now-it-shows-3-2gb.190211/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi Fellows I have TOSHIBA GB HDD I made it external delayed showing External to 0MD size failed due errors write HDD HDD through a drive case and using it since few months for storing the data it has partitions Now External HDD showing 0MD size due to delayed write failed errors I have a problem with it A week before the drive started giving following errors when I was plugging it in to the system There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc this can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it Delayed Write Failed I O Device Error Initially it was only reading two partitions after - days it only showed one partition not all data then now it is showing partition with zero data with zero mb total disk space It is asking to format each partition I am trying to open I tried to access the HDD from multiple systems XP VISTA SEVEN but same MB size showing up now every time How can I get the external HDD back to normal state without losing the data already there please help Thanks nbsp

A:External HDD showing 0MD size due to delayed write failed errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors
Check the drives for errors as instructed in the link above^. This may take a few hours depending on the size of the drive. If this fails then we will resort to other options. After doing some research, it seems as if this error occurs a lot in XP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-showing-0md-size-due-to-delayed-write-failed-errors.189965/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey guys,
I just recently noticed my graphic cards seem to running or at least reporting 1GB vram instead of 3GB. Do you think they are defective? Take a look at these results. It's showing a total of 2GB vram for my cards after running Firestrike.
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/148413

Also, CPU-z is reporting 1GB as well as other benchmarking applications.
I attached a SS of my cpu report. Sorry about how crappy it is.

Anyone know what this could mean? Is it a glitch?

A:Sapphire HD 7950 showing 1GB instead of 3GB?

Have you tried flipping the bios switch on your cards?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sapphire-hd-7950-showing-1gb-instead-of-3gb.189828/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi I am using a transcend pen drive to transfer files between my netbook and desktop, both with XP when I delete folder from the pen drive while connected to the desktop, it shows the pen drive as empty and thereafter I "safely remove" the pendrive. however, when I insert it into the netbook, it shows the data still present. if I now re-insert it into the desktop, it shows the data again. ?? btw if I delete it when connected to the netbook, it stays deleted and does not show up again! what gives? I have emptied the recycle bin too. am wondering if there are some settings I need to change. I just got a new desktop and am transferring my data onto it from the netbook! thanks, appreciate any answers in advance!

A:Delete file in pen drive

Likely you need to ensure that the pen-drive has the NTFS permission for <everyone> to be full control.

Use any Administrator Login, insert the Pen Drive, right click the pen-drive-letter -> Properties->Security

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/delete-file-in-pen-drive.188509/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have a nvidia geforce2 mx/mx 400 128MB VGA card. when I turn on computer today, VGA memory is displayed as 64MB instead of 128MB.

what could be the issue ?

A:Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 not showing actual memory

I can't say what the issue is but thats an old card and could be experiencing issues from aging.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-geforce2-mx-mx-400-not-showing-actual-memory.187097/
Relevancy 24.51%

I use DVD-R for almost a month only thing on it is pictures and word doc so nothing can go to wrong I do back ups I would say almost times a week I have use this DVD-R for almost a month and every thing is working okay Now gone showing burning wrong DVD disc nothing now on the sessions some thing gone wrong When I click start computer DVD drive it shows no DVD burning gone wrong now disc showing nothing files nothing It like the files got DVD burning gone wrong now disc showing nothing deleted or it cannot see the files When I right click on the drive and click on properties it shows MB used and that is about right I don t know what to do it like the files got deleted or it cannot see the files But the properties it shows MB used that about right I was using windows vista built in burning software This all stop working after I copy an paste folder to other folder on the disc I than tried Nero the basic burning software and when in Nero burning software I click on analyze disc it shows sessions and MB used and that is about right I than tried to make copy of bad disc When I click copy disc it copies it and than tells me to put in new disc and copies to it but it is still not showing up when I click on start computer DVD drive So it seems it still there but for some reason it cannot see it nbsp

A:DVD burning gone wrong now disc showing nothing

Burning multiple sessions to a DVD-R disk is most likely the problem. (Ideally, you should be using an external hard drive to backup) You should use DVD-RW, rewritable, disks and just burn everything in one session, close the disk; then move onto next DVD-RW, burn everything, close disk. continue this until you are back to the original disk in a rotation, then erase the disk, and continue on.
As for why you cannot see data on the DVD-R disk, it's most likely because of the multiple sessions. On a DVD-R or +R disk you should burn once, and be done with it. You might be able to recover data with a 3rd party program, but since it's optical media my hopes are not high. Be sure to have the "show hidden files & folders" option ticked on so maybe, if the files are hidden on the DVD-R disk you might be able to see them.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope this helps you in the future.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-burning-gone-wrong-now-disc-showing-nothing.184420/
Relevancy 24.08%

Have a external hard drive that was backed up on a macbook pro
using time machine. I try to take the files out that I put on a windows 7 PC
and it wont show up in My Computer.
But it does on device manager.
is there a problem with the external hardrive?

A:Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive not showing up on Windows?

It is likely formatted as Mac OS Extended (journaled), HFS+. Windows can't natively read that.

"I try to take the files out that I put on a windows 7 PC" is a confusing statement. If you want to read the files on the drive from 7, you can't without a 3rd party tool. If you are just wanting to put stuff on there from the PC and don't care about the Mac backup, then just format the drive. Do that through Disk Management in the Admin Tools control panel.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-freeagent-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-windows.181241/
Relevancy 24.51%

My WD external harddrive will not show up on my macbook pro and I just bought it. I want to format it but as I said it doesn't show up, even when I go to disk utilities. The harddrive does show up on my windows. What to do?

A:WD external hard drive not showing up on Mac

http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?wdc_lang=en

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-mac.184234/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi to all. I am not sure if this is the correct board to post my problem to! I apologize if I am wrong.

I save my picture albums in external storage device. Its the memory of an entire lifetime, my school, highschool and all. Now I opened it after many days to find that many of the JPEG files are showing 'X' although their properties are showing appropriate file size. If I try making a slideshow, it says 'No preview available'. I have tried opening it with MS Office Picture Manager and Adobe Photoshop 7 but of no avail. I have tried to look it up on google and tried repairing the images using a few free online picture repair tools, but it says no data available or something. Please help me resurrect those images. I dont understand what could possibly go wrong with them! I use Windows XP home. They are very valuable to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

A:JPEG file error

can you open ANYTHING on that external device?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/jpeg-file-error.183222/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have a file that I converted from laser disc to AVI. The total length was 20 gig but cut in two pieces. I transfered the files to a Seagate 1 Tarabyte hard drive for storage but now cannot get it to fully transfer back to any PC. The bigger part of the two is over 15 gigs and when there is about 9 gigs left the transfer stops.

Is there any way to get this out or fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

A:Video file not transfering completely out of my external hard drive

Are you using Windows built in copy program or a 3rd party tool?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-file-not-transfering-completely-out-of-my-external-hard-drive.180824/
Relevancy 25.37%

I SSD not showing have recently installed a Corsair gb SSD drive to one of my SATA ports and its not appearing in windows SSD not showing It appears in device SSD not showing manager SSD not showing and in the bios Does anyoe know whats going wrong Windows installed the drivers OK How can I coopy my c drive in its entirety over to the new SSD withut using paid for software The drive came on its own with software Thanks Specs of my pc are as Operating System MS Windows Home Premium -bit SP CPU AMD Athlon II X CRegor nm TechnologyRAM GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - Motherboard MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO LTD -C MS- CPU Graphics M WA x ATI Radeon HD Series Sapphire PCPartner CHard Drives GB Corsair Force SSD ATA Device IDE C GB Seagate ST AS ATA Device Unknown Interface COptical Drives HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH LS ATA DeviceTSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S B ATA DeviceAudio AMD High Definition Audio DeviceOperating System MS Windows Home Premium -bit SP Installation Date January nbsp

A:SSD not showing

You might have to go to the admin tools and fix it there...
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management
...then on the left side u see a "System Tools", "Storage" and "Services and Applications"...click on "Storage" -> "Disk Management". Then you should be able to see all your hard drives etc, then if u want to use the hdd just "Format" it and it should show in "my computer"

But then the 2nd question...I'm not sure about that one, I would use the software that came with the hdd and read the manual or then I would take the easy way (that also would make it more fresh) and reinstall Windows completely on the SSD HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-not-showing.179216/
Relevancy 24.08%

I ve been trying to fix it for over days now showing stopped External Computer drive My hard in up and I tried lots of things but nothing seems to work so I hope that you can help me System Info If Needed - - Operation System Windows Ultimate SP -Bit - Motherboard Asus Sabertooth P PCI PCI-E x PCI-E x DDR DIMM Audio Gigabit LAN IEEE- - CPU QuadCore Intel Core i - K MHz x - Memory MB DDR - DDR SDRAM - Disk Drive WDC WD EARS- J B GB SATA-II - GPU ATI Radeon HD - USB Ports - USB Ports Problem - My external hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer but it was working fine before Possible Causes - - I think quot And I m NOT Sure quot this happened after I Unplugged it without using quot Safely Remove External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer Hardware quot I m Totally aware that unplugging it while it s in use could damage it but when I tried to quot Safely Remove It quot it told me quot Windows can t stop your device Because a program is still using it quot and I was in External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer a hurry so I unplugged it without using quot Safely Remove Hardware quot - Few Days before it stop working it was getting slower and sometimes it hangs External Hard Drive Condition - - it s Samsung S Portable GB - I think I External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer bought it from about - years ago - It s out of warranty - I m Not using it that much maybe - hours per day and sometimes I don t use it at all for several days weeks - Content all my family pictures amp videos NO backup anywhere else I thought it would be safer here in case any damage happened to my desktop hard drive but i Guess I was wrong - No Physical Damage - When I plug it I hear it spinning and it s light is on - I hear a weird intermittent constant quot Sound quot and it s NOT loud MAYBE It s a quot Clicking quot sound But I m not sure Things I Tried - - I checked All USB Ports and it s all working fine with other devices - It Doesn t show up in quot Disk Management quot So solutions related to quot Disk Management quot Won t work - I Cleaned up and removed old USB storage drivers and replugged it but it didn t work - I connected it to another PC it didn t work there too - I tried Different quot USB Cable quot - I was always checking it with quot BitDefender Total Security quot For Viruses or any kind of infections and it was clean - I tried to check it for errors but as it s not recognized I can t check it - I was Defragmenting it with quot DisKeeper quot from time to time - I tried to use quot Ultimate Boot CD UBCD v quot to recover the data and i used this Guide quot How to Create an Image of a Crashed Hard Drive using the UBCD dd-rescue and P eXplorer quot and when I reached to quot Step - Identifying your Hard Drive quot I couldn t Identify it and I couldn t know it quot Path quot because it wasn t showing up in quot Mount Devices quot window because as I said It s not recognized So What I m Asking For Is - - Is there a way to fix my External Hard Drive and make it work again If Not - Is there a way to make it recognizable so i can recover the data using quot DD-Rescue quot If Not - Is there any other way to recover the data from my External Hard Drive and - I tried to open my External Hard Drive quot case quot but I couldn t and I was afraid to go any farther So i Don t damage it So is there any safe way to open it Thanks nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer

"I hear a weird intermittent constant "Sound" and it's NOT loud, MAYBE It's a "Clicking" sound, But I'm not sure."

Maybe a soft click or a sliding sound? The drive should normally do nothing more than hum.

"I connected it to another PC, it didn't work there too."

Dang it didn't past the test here either. When things go wrong in my computers I often try them in another machine. If it works in the second machine then I know it's still working. If it doesn't work in the second machine then I usually consider the device dead. I'd try a third machine if you have that resource.

If the data are that important I'd consult a data recovery specialist.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-showing-up-in-my-computer.178952/
Relevancy 16.34%

Ok, I am about to setup a server used for file syncing and an online db (like SQLite or something?) anyway, I also wanna have Fedora running on it..

I guess I can just get any server and install what I want + make it do what I want it to do, but what server(s) and/or system specs should I be specifically looking at for doing those things better than other servers?

A:File sync + online DB buying advice

Depends. Do you actually need a server?

Are we talking about a dedicated server in a datacenter, or are you building a server at home/work and using it connected to the internet there?

You need to tell us what you want to do with the server. If its a dedicated server, what do you plan to do with it? Monthly bandwidth, unique visitor numbers, number of sites, etc.

For homeserver, again, what is your intended usage. Your current post is far too vague to give any realistic answer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-sync-online-db-buying-advice.177063/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi

I got my laptop last week and and yesterday the sound stopped working. The laptop is a ASUS G53SX: i7-2670QM 2,2 ghz. 8 GB RAM. GTX 560M.

I have tried to update/re-install the drivers without any luck. I have also tried system recovery and still no sound. The latest software that I have installed is Adobe Production premium 5.5 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

I have checked the playback settings and the only device showing is Sony-tv 1. I also checked for deactivated and disconnected devices but still only Sony-tv.
Please help

A:Internal speakers not showing on playback devices

go to asus support website and download sound/audio driver according to your laptop model and OS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internal-speakers-not-showing-on-playback-devices.174469/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hello everyone I just built my External in hard show up Computer does drive not Explorer/My new computer and everything seems to be working fine hardware-wise I put in my old hard drive which still has Windows Vista -bit External hard drive does not show up in Explorer/My Computer on it It booted up fine booting up and shutting down is extremely slow though I installed some of my motherboard drivers LAN driver USB drivers etc I am going to install Windows Home Premium on it as soon as I have backed up some important documents music and programs However my external hard drive USB does not show up in My Computer I checked the Hardware panel thing Apparaatbeheer and it does show up there Is there any other way I can access it or are there any fixes I tried deleting some HighFilters in the registry but this caused my PC to go in a reboot-loop Could I transfer files over a LAN-network to my laptop I have just installed CrashPlan could I use that to back-up all my files I don t want to pay for it and my upload speed is quite low around kB s and I want to back up over GB TL DR I cannot see my external hard drive in Windows is there any other way I can access it or backup my files GB I can provide any additional information Thanks in advance nbsp

A:External hard drive does not show up in Explorer/My Computer

/Close http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/find-your-missing-usb-drive-on-windows-xp/ This worked for me

It didn't have a drive letter. I had to activate it as a partition or something, but it shows up and I can access it now, and that's what counts

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-does-not-show-up-in-explorer-my-computer.174832/
Relevancy 17.63%

I can't connect to MSN, AIM,nor can I open the launchers for some MMOs I play (though I can get into them if I launch the .exe file). I can connect to Steam and talk to people but I can't use the browser aspect of it. Firefox says it's a proxy issue, but I'm not too software savvy and don't really know what to do with this. It seems to be anything browser-related. I haven't installed anything new and I ran a few scans for viruses, malware, etc, and did a few other things I usually do to remedy connection issues (disabling firewall, power cycling modem/router, etc) to no avail. Does anyone know how to fix this?

A:Can't connect to Internet Explorer, Firefox, Steam, etc.

What are your computers complete specs? What version of Windows are you running? What kind of Internet service do you have? Cable? DSL?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-connect-to-internet-explorer-firefox-steam-etc.173927/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi, I had a laptop Vaio, windwos XP home edition and before crashing for good I manage to have all data saved on external hard drive. Now I have a new HP, Windows 7, processor A8 and when I try to trim the backup data I can't delete anything from it. The delete button just doesn't work and right click dosen't show delete option. The data is huge I need that space.Thanks.

A:Can't delete backup file created in XP, now I run Windows 7

Have you tried to format the drive through Disk Management? Formatting will erase everything on it. This assumes you don't still have anything on the external drive you want to save.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-delete-backup-file-created-in-xp-now-i-run-windows-7.172452/
Relevancy 18.06%

So I have an 2TB WD external hard drive that won't open on my comp. Part number: WDBAAF0020HBK-01 It shows up in disk management, but not in Explorer. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried to convert it to a Dynamic disk, but it won't do it for some reason.

A:WD hard drive won't show up in Explorer

Has this problem just started to happen or is this a new unformated drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-hard-drive-wont-show-up-in-explorer.171800/
Relevancy 24.08%

SO basically i m doomed when i plug the damn thing in SOMETIMES windows will say that it is quot not recognized quot and SOMETIMES Windows won t say nuthin at all jsyk i ve tried times and only one time windows responded with that uplifting message i tried searching for the device in my computer not there there is no quot removable disk quot icon either i also tried going into disk management not there either oh and i ve also tried this on other computers SO therefore I assume that the thing is un-salvageable UNLESS Disk in Management Computer showing Thumb up not drive or My of course Thumb drive not showing up in Disk Management or My Computer one of you angels reveal that it is not actually a goner and that i can actually still access it and save my life in which case it would just mean i m a complete tech noob however that optimistic situation seems highly unlikely and therefore i shall return to my assumption that i am doomed seeing as life is so is there any way i can recover my data from the thumbdrive and no i can t send it back to the dealer because i never actually bought the thing it was given as a door gift at someone s birthday IKR so yeah nbsp

A:Thumb drive not showing up in Disk Management or My Computer

Hi

it sounds well stuffed, however i did a quick google on the subject

http://www.recovermyflashdrive.com/articles/how-flash-drives-fail

http://www.techimo.com/forum/storage-related/214456-flash-drive-broken-need-repair-recover.html

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thumb-drive-not-showing-up-in-disk-management-or-my-computer.172157/
Relevancy 16.77%

Got hold of CCNA sybex 7th ed.. It will read on adobe and adobe digital editions on PC but not on reader. It displays the cover and contents,the rest is blank. My ebook reader will open any other pdf document including a earlier version of this file?! It is pdf version 1.3. Tried resaving on PC as version 1.5,made no difference. Any suggestions?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/issue-with-pdf-file-on-ebook-reader.171615/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello every one! My computer drive E is not showing data and from properties it is shown that data is still there and occupying space. This problem started two days ago when i started my pc and when i opened E there was nothing shown and before it was working properly... kindly help me....

A:Primary hard drive not showing data on it...

Use A43 File Manager. This is a replacement for Explorer.

Your files are still there, probably hidden by malware infection

at the CMD prompt type these

E:
CD /
ATTRIB -S -H /S /D

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-drive-not-showing-data-on-it.169993/
Relevancy 24.51%

I m having quite a problem here My external hard drive Astone - Tb isn t showing up on my computer - or anybody else s I lent it to a friend and I believe he may have been rough with it The base is missing screws and after receiving drive external hard is showing not My up it back My external hard drive is not showing up the following My external hard drive is not showing up day I plugged it into my laptop It came up with quot Installing device driver software quot which My external hard drive is not showing up is odd since I ve used it on there many times before Afterward it would flash in My Computer for a second coloured grey then disappear It does not appear in Safety Removal Hardware either I ve tried this on several computers but with no difference and the blue light still works The problem is definitely with the Hard Drive since thumbdrives still work fine Reformatting isn t an option because there are important irreplaceable files on there It does however show up in control panel gt Hardware and Sound gt Devices and Printers I still can t access it though - When I right-click and go to browse files quot Removable Disk D quot is written in grey Is there anything you tech geniuses can do to help I m really getting desperate here nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hard-drive-is-not-showing-up.170588/
Relevancy 24.08%

I bought a brand spanking new gigabyte a75m ud2h motherboard as well as a processor for the FM1 slot (came as a bundle). I hooked it all up but for some reason i'm not getting ANY reaction when i turn the computer on, no fans no light on the motherboard nothing. When i plug the power back into my old motherboard it starts up just fine. So the power switch is fine, the power source (650W) is fine...not sure why my machine is not starting up with the brand spanking new mobo & processor =( Any suggestions? I have tried putting the power button pin in every slot on the F-board, cannot get any reaction from my tower.

A:Brand new motherboard upgrade, computer showing no signs of life

First suggestion, check that you aren't shorting out the board by having any screw mounting the motherboard contacting the case. I'd even suggest taking it out of the case and testing just on a desk/table, away from any sources of static electricity. If that makes no difference it could be that the motherboard is DOA (Dead on arrival). There are many products that slip through quality control procedures of manufacturers and turn up at people's homes in a non working state. If the testing outside of the case doesn't give any positive results it might be time to contact the retailer for RMA/sending them back the faulty part.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-motherboard-upgrade-computer-showing-no-signs-of-life.169417/
Relevancy 16.34%

My ext HDD Buffalo 500Gb became RAW file system. can't even reformat again to NTFS.or to FAT32, the drive has my name before. now i can see LOCAL DRIVE E:, and when i click to properties, i can see, used space 0 bytes, and free space 0 bytes.
i tried several ways, even on command prompt, convert E: /fs:ntfs. still i can't, and on disk management, i even apply mark partition as active and then format it, and it take 5-6 hours and at the end falure.

can some one help me, i really need for my school project, and i cannot efford to buy again.

JIGME

A:My 500GB Buffalo external HDD became RAW file system

Hi gentpuchong :wave:

Welcome to :grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-500gb-buffalo-external-hdd-became-raw-file-system.163340/
Relevancy 17.2%

Here s the scoop A friend of mine was running XP sp and his system started getting very slow and would not run properly I ran malwarebytes and found File recovery several errors and corrected System still wouldn t function right Spent several File recovery hours trying various things with no luck Decided to offload his files and reinstall xp We managed to get his documents offloaded but didn t have enough media for his photos I removed hard drive and used my hardware connection package to hook it up to a usb port on my system The drive did show up and I started to copy his photos Get ready here it comes he has g of photos from years worth of saving on system without backing them up My system has enough space to copy but about g into copy my system started to give File recovery all kinds of errors that my avg WD elements etc weren t working I canceled the copy and deleted the photos from my system did a safe remove of the drive ran a restore from a previous restore point for my system All is well in the land of joeretired Now here s where the problem comes in When I reconnected the drive it no longer shows up with a letter assigned to it so I can access the drive I checked quot My Computer quot and it s not there Checked Device Manager and it shows as a usb mass storage device and properties says it s working properly Device Management doesn t even see it The questions are why can t I see it anymore how do I get it back to copy the phots Just for info s sake I m going to copy them to flash drives so my friend will have them backed up and be able to view them when he wants Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated and if we meet I ll buy you a beer nbsp

A:File recovery

Thanks Rick I will try what you suggested. If it is what you suspect I'll let him know. I was looking around and found a program from CGSecurity called "TESTDISK". Due you think it might be worth a shot running this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-recovery.168390/
Relevancy 24.08%

it was working fine this morning, and i'd left my computer copying files on to it all day, and when i got back to it just now it started telling me that this hard drive doesn't exist.. it had it as g:, and i have another one plugged in now called f: (which is showing up okay), and my computer's hard drive is split in two, c and d, so it's not a name confusion thing.. just stopped working all of a sudden, even its little light isn't lighting up.. .. i managed to use it fine once before, to copy files on to (needed to do that so i didn't lose everything when i wiped my computer's hd, for another reason (most stubborn virus i've ever met)).. .. so what should i do now? is my stuff still salvagable?

A:WD hard drive, almost brand new, not showing up in my computer all of a sudden

Is it an external hdd? You could start Disk Management (press start, and run diskmgmt.msc). If your hdd shows up there you can right click and assign a new drive letter.
You can also try to connect it to another computer.

Sadly it's also possible that your hard drive just died, even if it's new. In that case you should return it to wherever you bought it and get a replacement, but your data could be difficult to recover (maybe it's possible, but very expensive). One of my Transcend external drives stopped working after only a few weeks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-hard-drive-almost-brand-new-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-all-of-a-sudden.169342/
Relevancy 24.94%

So it was working the other day I left my computer came back and it wasn t showing up I restarted the computer and it was not showing up at all It is definitely getting power but WD has external anywhere isn't power, 1TB HD showing it is not showing up in the remove hardware option in the bottom tray it is not making the sound when it get plugged in and it is not showing up in the disk management or whatever it s called I ve tried on different computer and am having the same issue Earlier today I plugged it in and after mins or so it showed up with notifications and everything and was able to open some folders but it started saying there were delayed write issues and wouldn t let 1TB WD external HD has power, isn't showing anywhere me open anything else After that nothing for a few more hours then I went to try it on a different computer and it showed up only in the remove hardware thing at the bottom Not in the explorer nor in the disk management thing It s still under warranty so I can replace it but I have about gb of pictures music and movies that I probably will have an extremely difficult time getting back without spending hundreds of dollars So I don t want to switch it out unless I have to Please help I m spending a lot of time trying to fix this Any help would be much appreciated nbsp

A:1TB WD external HD has power, isn't showing anywhere

Get the new hard drive and install Windows on it. After you have applied all the Windows Updates, install the old drive as a second hard drive and see if you can access files from it that way. If you have to return the old drive for warranty replacement, see if you can borrow a drive for this data transfer. If the old drive isn't seen, there is nothing that can be done to save the data short of spending hundreds of dollars

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1tb-wd-external-hd-has-power-isnt-showing-anywhere.169222/
Relevancy 17.2%

Usually I can play large MKV files just fine, but 13GB Black Swan mkv lags every few seconds making it unplayable. I don't usually have problems with MKV so I don't see how it could be a codec problem, does anyone know what?

Windows XP SP3

AMD Radeon HD 6850 - 1024MB

MotherBoard:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K SE Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0401 07/19/2007
Realtek Onboard Audio

3328 Megabytes DDR2 RAM

Processor:
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

1400.28 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
100.02 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

A:Particular MKV file lags?

What software are you playing it with? Try Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/particular-mkv-file-lags.168934/
Relevancy 16.34%

A few years back I got an external hard drive (Nomad) as I was working on a book and studying photography and wanted to be able to back up all my work in case of a computer crash. Well, it turned out that I did have a crash, and everything was fine until I went to open up a file that contained a bunch of Microsoft Word files for my book.

When I click on the file in attempts to open it, after a long period of not responding, an error comes up that says exactly this:

"Location is not available
H:\Scotia\Writing\Stories & Novels is not accessible.
Incorrect functon."

Is there any way that I can fix this so that I can have the files back? I'm desperate, and without these files I lose a year of work toward a novel. Any help is deeply appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-on-nomad-external-hard-drive-will-not-open.167092/
Relevancy 24.08%

Have joined to see if i can get some assistance noticed others have done this with success I have a seagate TB expansion Hard Drive which was firstly coming up with I O error and now the computer doesnt even register that its connected dispite connection noises from the drive itself on usb connection I have read through various topics and forums and carried out a number of the checks and processes to run through but still without success I have tried this on other laptops and issue is exactly the same I have another Buffulo expansion drive which is working fine in all USB ports The system is windows Vista and upgraded to service showing Seagate hard on not expansion computers drive pack I have cleaned up existing USB drivers on system also When disk management is opened the system doesnt read the drive is connected There is no excessive noises coming from drive but lights on and small amount of heat is given off Needing help as i use drive to back up important photos and files dont want them lost Can anyone help please nbsp

A:Seagate expansion hard drive not showing on computers

Sounds like the drive has failed as you had been getting warning signs with the I/O errors and now it has stopped working. There is a possibility that it is just the circuitry in the housing so you may be able to get it going again with a new housing. You could first test the drive by removing it from the housing and hooking it up to the internal connections of a desktop PC or by using a USB adapter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-expansion-hard-drive-not-showing-on-computers.166721/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have 3 Sata hdd's; two 160gb and one 1.5TB. Windows 7 is on one of the 160gb, 1.5TB is used purely for games storage anf the other 160gb is used for file storage.

After starting up, whenever I click on Games it takes a while to show all the icons; once it has done it once then it will show the icons immediately every time.

Is there a way of getting it to show the icons immediately first time around? It is not a major problem, more of an irritation, but I would like to know if it can be fixed.

I have no problems with my other hdd's and antivirus and malware all updated and checked for virus's and spyware.

Any help is much appreciated

My Pc is...
Asus P5P41D
Quadcore running at 3.06
4gb of ram
Radeon 5800 2gb
Audigy 4
Corsair 850watt PSU

A:Windows Explorer is slow on D: drive

disciple said:

After starting up, whenever I click on Games it takes a while to show all the icons; once it has done it once then it will show the icons immediately every time.Click to expand...

It seems it slows down while querying the filesystem to create a database of icons of files in the path.
It may be an heavy task if there are large images, video, or executables that must be queried for creating icons.
IMHO you could try changing the icon mode of the file explorer, or trying to create subfolders in order to identify if there are troublesome files that slow down the icon rendering more than others.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-explorer-is-slow-on-d-drive.166350/
Relevancy 16.77%

hi guys, im having issues with this error file and folder. im trying to transfer files to WD essential storage using wdtv live n router netgear dg834g. but recently the past week im starting to get these error message which states "error copying file or folder" cannot copy ... the specified network name is no longer available. never had any problems for a year n just started about a week ago. i have rebooted router , wdtv , storage to no avail. any ideas.

A:Error copying file or folder

Maybe the WD essential storage device is failing or needs a formatting restore

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-copying-file-or-folder.165218/
Relevancy 16.77%

I tried converting video using Micro Video Converter on mac pro somehow it didn't convert and the .mp4 video file from my SD card became invisible. I recovered the file using some recovery software from my sd card and it was recovered as .mov video file instead .mp4 video file and it doesn't play in any video player. I recovered many files but none of them cannot be played. Any suggestions on what I can do or where I could take the data to fix it would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any other information to assist in the creation of a solution. Thank you in advance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovered-mov-file-cannot-be-played.163245/
Relevancy 16.34%

I tried looking a little on google and couldnt find much I need to make a batch file to add dns suffixs to local area connection i have a script that i tested but it didn t work because i beleive it was for just the local dns suffixes? adding script DNS for Batch file s and not for the dns suffixes Any Batch file script for adding DNS suffixes? help is Batch file script for adding DNS suffixes? a appreciated Update i found a script here That works for now Just need to figure out how to set it so it manually checks those boxes On Error Resume Next strComputer quot quot arrDNSDomainSuffixSearchOrder Array quot dns com quot quot dns com quot quot dns com quot Set objWMIService GetObject quot winmgmts quot amp quot impersonationLevel impersonate quot amp strComputer amp quot root cimv quot Set objNicConf objWMIService Get quot Win NetworkAdapterConfiguration quot WScript Echo VbCrLf amp quot DNS Host Name quot amp strDNSHostName amp VbCrLf amp quot Attempting to enable DNS quot intEnableDNS objNicConf EnableDNS strDNSHostName strDNSDomain arrDNSServerSearchOrder arrDNSDomainSuffixSearchOrder If intEnableDNS Then WScript Echo quot Successfully enabled DNS quot ElseIf intEnableDNS Then WScript Echo quot Successfully enabled DNS quot amp VbCrLf amp quot Must reboot quot Else WScript Echo quot Unable to enable DNS quot End If WScript Echo VbCrLf amp String quot - quot Set colNicConfigs objWMIService ExecQuery quot SELECT FROM Win NetworkAdapterConfiguration WHERE IPEnabled True quot For Each objNicConfig In colNicConfigs strDNSHostName objNicConfig DNSHostName Next WScript Echo VbCrLf amp quot DNS Host Name quot amp strDNSHostName For Each objNicConfig In colNicConfigs WScript Echo VbCrLf amp quot Network Adapter quot amp objNicConfig Index amp VbCrLf amp quot quot amp objNicConfig Description WScript Echo quot DNS Domain quot amp objNicConfig DNSDomain WScript Echo quot DNS Server Search Order quot If Not IsNull objNicConfig DNSServerSearchOrder Then For Each strDNSServer In objNicConfig DNSServerSearchOrder WScript Echo quot quot amp strDNSServer Next End If WScript Echo quot DNS Domain Suffix Search Order quot If Not IsNull objNicConfig DNSServerSearchOrder Then For Each strDNSDomainSuffix In objNicConfig DNSDomainSuffixSearchOrder WScript Echo quot quot amp strDNSDomainSuffix Next End If Next nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/batch-file-script-for-adding-dns-suffixes.162730/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have windows XP service pack 3 and my 1tb western digital hard drive is no longer showing up. I have had the drive for over a year and it was working fine until the other day when i plugged it in and the drive didnt show up in my computer. It shows up under device management but not under disc management so i can't assign it a letter. I have tried Easeus but it wont run on the drive.
Also i cannot start my computer with the drive plugged in, it gets to the boot screen and makes a click and restarts

A:Western Digital drive not showing up in My Computer

It's not completely clear if this is an external drive since an internal drive can be "plugged in" too so to speak. Anyway, let's presume it's an external drive. I'd say either the enclosure has failed or the hard drive itself has.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer.162595/
Relevancy 17.2%

My friend had her laptop hard drive replaced by some company 10MB drive Explorer is shows External 60GB empty in and They External 60GB drive is empty and shows 10MB in Explorer did not copy her documents and pictures to her new drive so she asked me if I could do it for her I told her I would slave the drive to my External 60GB drive is empty and shows 10MB in Explorer machine and see if I could read the old drive if so I could probably retrieve the items and save them for External 60GB drive is empty and shows 10MB in Explorer her It is a Gig Hitachi Travelstar Hard Drive I put the hard drive in my external USB case and plugged it in to my Laptop running VISTA SP- I also plugged it in to a Windows XP Pro machine The new drive was detected and I was able to see it in My Computer as quot Local Drive E quot the File System says quot FAT quot and the Disk size shows the capacity as MB Used Space MB - Free Space MB When I open the contents of this drive it is empty In Computer Management Disk Management this is what is visible where Disk is my internal drive and Disk is the Slave Travelstar ---------------------------------------------- Disk Basic GB Online GB Healthy EISA Configuration TI V E C GB NTFS Healthy System Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary Partition GB Healthy Partition ---------------------------------------------- Disk Basic GB Online E GB FAT Healthy Active Primary Partition ---------------------------------------------- CD-ROM DVD D No Media When I click on the E Partition it shows in the rectangle box all gray diagonal lines I am trying to understand some things Why is it only showing up as MB in My Computer and GB in Disk Management How can I see the entire drive and retrieve the data Can I make this drive show up as a removable device and be able to read it I am a little confused please and thanks for any help you might be able to provide nbsp

A:External 60GB drive is empty and shows 10MB in Explorer

try this,
Go to my computer and right click on the drive you have set up as slave drive. Go to properties-then security-then click on advanced tab near the bottom of that page-then click on owner tab-then on edit-then choose the owner you want to have access in this case you Administrators mine says (Tman-PC\Administrators) and then click apply. You will have to close all the windows down and reopen them and you should be able to see anything that was hidden or unaccessable on the drive.

Hope t works for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-60gb-drive-is-empty-and-shows-10mb-in-explorer.160121/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have a satellite A65-S126. model no. PSA60U-02KO15. the laptop is failing to boot. When l power it up, Iit requires me to pick last known good configuration or us the safe mode options.
I have tried to reinstall the operation system and when the installer tries to copy files to the disk, it gives the following error message, "file ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. the error code is 7. setup cannot continue, press any key to exit"..
l have checked my dvd rom by way of installing it on another similar laptop and it has worked. Have also checked my memory modules and they again proved to be working.
Your assistance on this matter, team, will greatly be appreciated.

A:Satellite A65-S126. File ntkrnp.exe could not be loaded. Error code is 7

See this link:
http://www.computer-adviser.com/error-code-7.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/satellite-a65-s126-file-ntkrnp-exe-could-not-be-loaded-error-code-is-7.161198/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello all I have a somewhat difficult dilemma I need help on I am troubleshooting a Dell Inspiron that was booting into a password authentication where all passwords were not being recognized But that s not the problem When I attempted to re-format the GB Western Digital internal IDE HDD with the Windows installer disk it didn t show any hard drives to install to When checking the BIOS it showed no hard drives either I then took the hard drive out of the laptop on system Unknown HDD internal file laptop and connected it to my HP desktop computer running same version of Windows btw Unknown file system on internal laptop HDD using a quot to quot IDE adapter and Unknown file system on internal laptop HDD had it on its own IDE channel The drive was not recognized in either Wndows Explorer OR Disk Management It IS Unknown file system on internal laptop HDD showing in Device Manager On the quot Volumes quot tab when I hit quot Populate quot it comes back with quot Unkown file system quot Is there any workaround to reformat this drive or make it usable Or is it just dead Any help is appreciated David nbsp

A:Unknown file system on internal laptop HDD

delete the partition(s), define new one(s) and then format

the command prompt FORMAT /? will explain how

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unknown-file-system-on-internal-laptop-hdd.160587/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello,
I am using a Sony Vaio loaded with Windows 7 to try to connect, via my home wireless, to an Iomega home server. My other old laptop (running XP) just shows the Iomega as a normal file server, with folders and all my documents etc. Unfortunately the Vaio is only showing the Iomega as a 'Media Device' (in the network and sharing center).. and because of this, it will only open windows media player when I try to access it. How can I stop the server from showing up as a media device?
As a start (and after reading another forum post), I disabled the media streaming service within windows media player network sharing service.. but this hasn't worked.

Thanks..

A:Iomega server showing as media device

Right-click on the iomega server icon and select "properties" See if you can change the device type

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/iomega-server-showing-as-media-device.159347/
Relevancy 16.77%

Bit of a weird problem i try to send a file to my computer less than about 300kb it transfers fine any larger it fails. I try sending it through MyPhoneExplorer, it transfers all of it but my point is I some times need files from other people not just my own phone. Any ideas? I am on windows 7 home premieum 64 bit i do have a uknown device listed as "bluetooth peripheral device" with that yellow triangle.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bluetooth-file-transfer-failed.159627/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have just bought a used Dell Ultrasharp 3007 30 inch monitor, I connected it to a G5 quadcore MAC computer with an NVIDIA 6600 video card, I have two DVI video ports, on one port the display can only be set on a maximum resolution of 1080X800, while when inserted on the other DVI port the display selector can show the various resolution options up to 2560 x 1600, but when any hiigher resolution than 1080X800 is selected the display turns pink with vertical stripes. I tried to connect it to my Mac Book Pro laptop which has a hi res of 1920X1200, but again if any higher res than 1080X800 is selected the same thing happens to the Dell display, turns pink and with stripes and nothing on the display is visible. What could the problem be? Thanks

A:30" Dell Display only showing at a very low resolution

The problem could be that you max out the displays max resolution? -or then the HZ is set to high?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/30-dell-display-only-showing-at-a-very-low-resolution.159203/
Relevancy 24.51%

Okay I m not much of a computer whiz so I ll try to relay my issue as best I can Earlier our computer was having serious virus issues Just a few days ago xp just reinstalled itself basically I have no idea why but it seems to have cleared out the viruses and all that up card dxdiag Video in not showing jargon I decided to try and play some WoW and noticed that it wouldn t load due to it not finding a suitable display device I opened dxdiag and in the Display tab all I see is n a about everything I ve been reading threads about this and I m pretty sure I need a graphics card driver or something installed I know that my video card was an ATI Radeon Family I can t remember the exact numbers after it Here s some specs about Video card not showing up in dxdiag my computer OS Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition build manufacturer emachines model t BIOS Default System BIOS Processor Intel Premium D CPU GHz CPUs nbsp

A:Video card not showing up in dxdiag

You or someone will have to open the PC and pull out the card to look at it to determine the model number. The basic specs of that Emachines that I looked up show an integrated Intel graphics solution so what other card might have been installed is anyone's guess.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-not-showing-up-in-dxdiag.158490/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi,

running XP sp3 on both desktop and netbook. Zone Alarm firewall is on both machines, but has been configured to allow access each way.

I am using freefilesync and am trying to sync a folder and it's content (about 200mb) over my home network from the desktop PC to an SDHC card in the netbook card reader.

Whenever I run the sync it get an error message:

windows error message 5 access is denied.

I have googled, but don't know enough to separate what I need from the search results.

I have been able to copy and paste the folder and it's contents directly from the desktop to the netbook sdhc card, and appear to have read and write access each way.

Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks

Will

A:File sync over network to SDHC card

On the machine with the card, if you open My Computer, how does the SDHC card appear
or does it show up at all?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-sync-over-network-to-sdhc-card.158074/
Relevancy 16.77%

Well my place I work acquired another office and we need a file server for our rd location At first I was just going to buy a NAS but I m don t think it would have the ability to install a backup client on it like Crash Plan so I m thinking of just building a file server amp loading a distro of Linux on it thats designed for servers some like Ubuntu Server edition Problem is all the computers I have built have been for gaming So this is what my we need - a file server that is going to have data for mostly plans and spec books along with setups for business cards flyers signs and other graphic works Probably going to have - computers pulling a server rush of Building bit file a - data from it along with - networked printers I looked at some of the server mobo but they just seem like more than I need I like the dual gigabyte LAN on them but I think I can find that on some desktop Mobo So I m kinda the stage of picking a mobo and CPU and leaning towards just getting something like a C D of a lower end i or AMD - not against AMD just a bit outa the lop with what they have I don t need much processing power to just pull files from it do i Also not really all the sure what makes Sever Mobo s and CPU s different from desktop other than they are designed for servers IDK I m a little outa my normal zone here and the boss says we need it by the end of the month so I don t have Building a file server - bit of a rush too long to research it So any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Building a file server - bit of a rush

What's the price range for this server?
I would suggest just ordering a Dell. You'll get great support and a pre-build system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-file-server-bit-of-a-rush.157771/
Relevancy 17.63%

Ugh, ive been looking all over the internet for a solution to this. Anyway, im borrowing my friend's external hard drive to transfer some stuff from my laptop to my desktop when my laptop for whatever reason crashed. Now when i started my laptop back up, explorer doesn't recognize the external hard drive. However, disk management seems to be able to recognize the external hard drive as a separate disk. Does anybody know how i can get my explorer to recognize the external hard drive?

A:Can't get explorer to recognize external hard drive

Since it's recognized by Disk Management, I'll guess one of two things

1. See if this might help How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers

2. Otherwise, it could be filesystem corruption on the disk. Have you tried connecting it to a different computer to see if it works? If it still fails on other computers as well could be windows sees the disk when connected but doesn't recognize a valid filesystem any longer so doesn't mount the logical volume. Try TestDisk for partition/data recovery

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-get-explorer-to-recognize-external-hard-drive.157660/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a TB WD Need drive a up help hard in not with showing explorer external external hard drive It was running extremely slow so i ran a defrag and it fixed it But it also has a mac partition on it so i ran the repair disk thing for mac in disk utility However my mac is a laptop so it ran out of battery part way through the operation Now when i plug it in it both the mac and PC it is not picked up in explorer and Disk management under computer management So no partitions show up in either finder on mac or explorer on windows Edit When i connect the hard drive it has a flashing light on it Need help with a external hard drive not showing up in explorer like it normally does Need help with a external hard drive not showing up in explorer when it connecting to pc just before it shows up in explorer It has been flashing like this for hours as it has been plugged into pc this whole time when it Need help with a external hard drive not showing up in explorer connects and shows up in explorer and is not in use that light normally stays solid nbsp

A:Need help with a external hard drive not showing up in explorer

I'd start with test disk:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
\
FWIW: I have Ubuntu on my Netbook. If I start a lengthy operation like defrag on battery, it will ask me if I really want to do that. I've run into a number of prompts like that, and it makes me wonder why Windows never figured that out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-a-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-explorer.156626/
Relevancy 24.94%

Under the printing preferences the Paper/Output tab sometimes shows up with nothing in it. It's a Xerox 7232 and is attached to a network.

A:Properties not showing up for printer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You see the problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/properties-not-showing-up-for-printer.156746/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have a 400 g sata which I am using as a secondary drive. When I had a associate try to install win xp professional on it but he messed up the drive. He did n ot load it and so I have only 38 gigs of use. How do I get the 400 gs. back? Thank you.

A:400GB hard drive only showing 38GB

Open disk manager, remove the existing partitions and re-format.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/400gb-hard-drive-only-showing-38gb.155818/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have 2gb pen drive which i had some data.basically all business related things.

When i m inserting it's showing as removable (E)

File system : RAW

Used space : 0 bytes

Free space : 0 bytes

But when i m going into Disk management it is showing as

Disk 1
removable (E)
243 MB

243 mb
Unallocated in a box

Can i recover my data back or is it useable anymore?
and a good explanation why it has happened will be handy!

A:USB 2GB detected but showing 0 bytes

download Recuva HERE

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-2gb-detected-but-showing-0-bytes.153931/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi, if I go to Network Sharing Center, then advanced settings there are two options: Turn on Network Discovery, and Turn on File and Printer sharing."

The first one is enabled, the second one (file sharing) will not enable.

I had this problem with network discovery as well, but I did some reading and found it was a problem of not having some services started.

So I assume file sharing will not enable for the same reason.

Does anyone have any ideas on what services need to be enabled?

Thanks

A:File sharing won't enable

what are your specs? go to the properties of your network adapter and see if it has file and printer sharing for microsoft networks enabled.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-sharing-wont-enable.154892/
Relevancy 16.77%

I m a bit clueless when it comes to networking but here goes Up until a few weeks ago I modem No replacement after sharing file had a happy home network Was running my No file sharing after modem replacement trusty year old Motorola SurfBoard modem into a Linksys wireless router My tower and xbox were wired to the port on the back of the linksys while my laptop wii and ps were all wireless All had connectivity Tower and Laptop could talk to each other and could share files both ways between them then my modem bit the dust Enter the Motorola SBG Mom needed a router for her place and I needed a new modem so I killed birds with one stone and bought it Mom loves her new router and I well sorta like my Motorola Everything has connectivity but my laptop and tower will not talk to each other anymore xbox was also made wireless at this point When I m on my tower and I attempt to browse the quot Map Network Drive quot I can see both computers listed under my home network name When I attempt to click on the laptop to expand it to select the SharedDocs folder I get the following error message quot newlaptop is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The network path was not found quot If I attempt the quot Map Network Drive quot from the laptop I get the same message with the exception of the error reflecting my tower name I hope it s something simple like the modem itself is blocking a port or something I ll mention what seems relevant from some other threads I ve tried to understand -both machines are running xp pro sp tower is my own build lappy is AlienWare Area -both machines have file sharing network sharing checked -encryption is set to WPA wireless card can handle it cable SBG gt wireless gt laptop xbox wii ps iphone Tower PC much thanks in advance for any assistance insight i may find nbsp

A:No file sharing after modem replacement

see this thread, post #5

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-file-sharing-after-modem-replacement.154509/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey all I have a problem with my Asus G VT-X Sometimes when I bring it out of sleep or power it on the screen will either Stay quot dark quot but though not completely dead or unpowered It s just dark colored still lit up like it s in the BIOS CPU LED indicator shows there s activity and I can press my caps key and activate deactivate the images funny really showing not Screen sometimes acting dark, correctly, caps LED or Start shifting between single colors red-- gt green gt blue gt and so on Closing opening the laptop solves this problem only half the time Turning Screen images not showing correctly, sometimes dark, acting really funny off the Screen images not showing correctly, sometimes dark, acting really funny monitor s lighting FN F doesn t solve the problem as reactivating the monitor light just brings me back right to the problem I can still see stuff perfectly on my quot external monitor while Screen images not showing correctly, sometimes dark, acting really funny it s plugged to the laptop meaning the GPU s properly functioning But the laptop screen s been having this problem quite a bit lately Could someone please tell me what the problem is and whether I can hope to hire someone in my area to get it fixed reasonably cheap I d like to keep this laptop as it s been overall solid and reliable aside from this problem Thanks nbsp

A:Screen images not showing correctly, sometimes dark, acting really funny

Laptop screen problems

If your laptop works correctly on an external monitor, then it points either to the screen invertor, or the ribbon connection between the motherboard and the screen.
The invertor will cost about 18 or $32, but you can re-fit the screen ribbon yourself for free. But it's not out of the question it could be a screen panel
replacement job. Hope that's of some help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-images-not-showing-correctly-sometimes-dark-acting-really-funny.154688/
Relevancy 16.34%

Could somebody help me with a quick batch program to remove, network addresses, gateway, broadcast, etc.? Also include cookies, browser history and that sort of thing but really I want the network code if you could help out with that.

I know I could just use ccleaner but this is something that will be constantly worked on until all the functions I want will be in this one batch file instead of possibly running a couple programs.

Used these two but need to know from the experts!!

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns

Also when the the wireless card is pulled from the pcmcia slot, like to know what wipes any trace of the hard coded ip, mac ip.

A:Create a batch file to remove network activity

any help putting this code together for me. windows 7

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/create-a-batch-file-to-remove-network-activity.154433/
Relevancy 25.37%

It works on my computer USB HDD up Seagate showing not XP but when put on my brother s computer with vista it does not get assigned a letter I ve read every posting about this I can find on google even tried a couple of programs designed to assign letters to USB devices and neither worked It shows up in device manager fine but when I Seagate USB HDD not showing up go to disk manager it doesn t allow me to change the letter It doesn t give me the option at all It s partitioned into two partitions and when I click on them it gives me the option but it s Seagate USB HDD not showing up grayed out so I can t click it Grrr The computer has internal HDD DVD drives and removable HD in it I changed the DVD drives to X Y and Z one of the internal HDD from D to W and the removable ones to P Q R and S Then I reinstalled the external HDD Still nothing There are no network drives at all And I assume it s the admin login because it s the only user set up Anyone have ANY ideas nbsp

A:Seagate USB HDD not showing up

First, See How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-usb-hdd-not-showing-up.153935/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello as you can see i have a MSI GX specs http bit ly bTZ z and the machine temperatures high is MSI GX630 very is showing some pumps has MSI GX630 is is showing some very high temperatures been constantly overheating since last week when I was playing MW It shut off mysteriously at first and then i found out that the heatsink was not completely on the board I had the heatsink screwed down to the board but still there are really high temperatures for the CPU I use HWMonitor and my GPU has normal temperatures but the CPU has and Celsius when I ve just turned it on The temperatures are rather high even when I m doing simple tasks such as browsing the Web Is there any light that can be shed on this matter S I just don t understand why it burns up so much even when I have stopped gaming on it since it first shut off last MSI GX630 is is showing some very high temperatures week S I have some pictures of how the board and MSI GX630 is is showing some very high temperatures the lifted heatsink looked before it was screwed down I haven t taken any new pictures of the screwed down heatsink yet but I will do so soon Let me know if you need to see those pictures please Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:MSI GX630 is is showing some very high temperatures

It not as simple as reattaching the heatsink to the CPU. There is a thermal compound that has to cleaned off and fresh compound applied. As it stands now you are probably not getting good heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/msi-gx630-is-is-showing-some-very-high-temperatures.153786/
Relevancy 25.37%

hello i bought a used computer from petrocanada and it has 2 4 gig sticks in it. i had to put windows on and i checked my system it only shows up 2.50 i dont know how to fix plz help and hurry it is a sun mirco system computer

A:RAM not all showing up

Do you have a 64 bit version of windows installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-not-all-showing-up.153292/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi, I'm using windows 7 x64.

Network discovery and file sharing will not enable. My brother cannot access my shared folder from his computer (we're on a lan).

I read to enable these services:

Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Workstation

One or two were disabled so I started them. However Server will not start, it says: "The dependancy service or group failed to start."

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-discovery-and-file-sharing-will-not-enable.153154/
Relevancy 24.51%

i have a 500G ext hard drive that doesnt appear in my computer, OS Vista, i had registry files that made my disk drive disappear from my computer (upperfilters and lowerfilters) so before deleting i was asked to back up the registry files and mistakenly backed up on ext hard drive and not desktop, in this light disk drive reappeared and ext drive disappeared, i have tried to go in regedit, but to no avail can some one help on how i can find and locate the backed up registry and delete to view my harddrive. thanx

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-in-my-computer.153000/
Relevancy 16.34%

Dear techs
I hope that you can help me.
My problem refers to an external 'backup' drive that gives the above error.
I have always disconnected the usb correctly
It was working perfectly nad then...
Is this the end of my essential back up? If yes. What is the point of having one?

A:Error message 'the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable'

Are you able to read anything on the drive? Have you tried running checkdisk or scandisk in repair mode on the drive?

The fact is, drives fail. A backup is simply supposed to be a second copy of your important data, not the only place you store your data.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-the-file-or-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable.152109/
Relevancy 16.77%

I have a small file server that runs 24/7. I am concerned with the longevity of a standard HD that has spinning platters. Would a SSD drive be more reliable in the long run?

A:Should I go with a SSD drive for my small file server?

I'm pretty certain they aren't long term tested (and lack proper long term reliability and feedback information) in the real world environment yet, so probably wouldn't be best for essentia and/or critical server deployments.

However, wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to confirm this, because its entirely possible I'm incorrect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-go-with-a-ssd-drive-for-my-small-file-server.152220/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey, when I put a DVD/CD into my drive it won't show up in my computer, but I can still use it. I put The Sims 3 in the drive, it does not show up in My Computer but I can still play the game with no problems. I'm currently putting a blank disc in so I can save some files to it, and I need to access the DVD via My Computer but the Drive is not appearing. I went into Device Manager and in the DVD/CD-Rom drives section it shows a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark next to the drive icon.

I have Windows Vista 32-bit OS

A:DVD drive not showing in My Computer

I searched for driver updates and it says all drivers are upto date...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-not-showing-in-my-computer.151541/
Relevancy 16.34%

Ok so I have two computers in my house one is mine and my sister computer and the other one is my dad computer so he set up a linksys router file sharing between our computer and i have got to find How Linksys sharing disable? File over router. to a way to disable it so he wont be able to explore my computer files of course not see my internet bookmarks and history how can i do it I File sharing over Linksys router. How to disable? am the administrator of my computer No biggie right Do i have to disable it from his laptop computer I just need to not let him explore my computer from his editing permission is useless when he wasnt home i tried exploring my computer from his and i could change security permissions like Modify Read and just explore C and D drives although I changed my specific folders secrutiy settings i could change them from his computer - its like he is the Workgoup network Admin he can do whatever he wants on my computer from his copmuter i have to disable this sharing plus - where can i learn about computer technology and all this interesting stuff So i will be able to do things myself nbsp

A:File sharing over Linksys router. How to disable?

lol

stop surfing the porn sites and you have nothing to worry about, your dad seems to know heaps more about pc's etc and anything you do he will undo.

as for where to learn,,,well in the words of the Beatles, here there and everywhere....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-sharing-over-linksys-router-how-to-disable.150939/
Relevancy 17.63%

HI, i purshased 4 HDD HITACHI sata 320g c5k500 for laptop.
the problem is when i hook it up to the usb windows detect it and shows that its ready to work. but it does not appear in the explorer neither in hard drive manager .and thats for all of them .
please can any body help me to resolve this problem thank you.

A:Hard drive detected by Windows, does not appear in explorer

In which computer is it installed, and what is your operating system?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-detected-by-windows-does-not-appear-in-explorer.150153/