Windows Support Forum

Windows 8.1 stuck on Login Screen after changing HOST file

Q: Windows 8.1 stuck on Login Screen after changing HOST file

I had recently purchased a new laptop from Lenovo, and had decided to change a few setting on the Windows 8.1 host file. After the changes, I flushed my DNS settings, turned off my network settings and rebooted my computer.

To my surprise, as I login Windows 8.1, it keeps reseting to the password screen over and over again.

I do not know what to do from here, as I cannot even log-in to change my settings, or even boot my system in safe mode.

Please help!

Thank you

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/29576-windows-8-1-stuck-login-screen-after-changing-host-file.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 8.1 stuck on Login Screen after changing HOST file

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 79.12%

running windows 10 version 1607,anyways windows did its regular update thing and when it was done now i cant login. i enter my password and its welcome and then just goes right back to the lock screen. please help. cant find anything relevant online so far. sony vaio pc.

A:cant login after recent windows update, stuck at login screen

Hi ! Did you create a system repair CD or a system recovery drive?? Here are the ways that you can recover. My first choice would be to restore to a time before the update with a restore point! Read this by HTG! How to Create and Use a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc in Windows 8 or 10 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...covery-options
PS! Using a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc
A recovery drive will normally not be necessary. If your computer fails to boot several times, Windows 8 or 10 will automatically bring up the advanced startup options, which allows you to troubleshoot and fix it.
If Windows can?t even bring up these tools, you?ll need the recovery drive, system repair disc, or a Windows 8 or 10 installation disc. Insert the recovery media into your computer and restart. Your computer should boot from the recovery media automatically. (If it doesn?t, you may need to change its boot order.)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/441980-cant-login-after-recent-windows-update-stuck-login-screen.html
Relevancy 73.96%

hi,

i don't know how i managed it but i changed the way windows lets me log on to my computer..i've attached two images, screen1 is how it used to be, screen2 is how it looks now..thanks for any help in advance!

A:changing windows login screen

I had a similar problem, but with Shut Down. It occurred after an Windows Update. Bill likes to mess around because he knows what's best for us.

I live with it because I don't want to uninstall all the updates one at a time to revert to the original.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-windows-login-screen.730126/
Relevancy 73.53%

How can I change the windows 8.1 login screen (that comes with a password) and replace it with any image? I'm not talking about the LOCK screen. I searched a lot , some websites told me to edit the group policy and add a custom image here

C:\Windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds
But this method did not work. What should I do? I don't need any third party paid software. I require a free method.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/changing-windows-login-screen-not-lock-screen-1068562.html
Relevancy 73.53%

My brand new Acer Aspire E15 was doing fine, but after a windows update the keyboard stopped working (Error number -19). I could login normally by using the on-screen keyboard. But the keyboard didn't work either when booted into windows, it was very annoying to use the on-screen keyboard all the time, so I wanted to fix the problem, to fix the keyboard error I decided to boot into safe mode. But now my trackpad stopped working too! Which means I can't select the on-screen keyboard at the login screen to type my password, and I can't type my password with the keyboard. I'm stuck at the login screen now, how can I fix this login problem and my keyboard problem? I don't have a recovery CD / USB and I can't make one because I don't have a CD / DVD right now. I'm typing this from my macbook.

A:Stuck at login screen Windows 8.1

Nevermind, I got it working by pressing Alt + F10 on startup and then refreshing the pc.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/68426-stuck-login-screen-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi.

For several weeks I have been trying to solve a problem on a family members desktop computer.

The scenario is as follows:

User clicks on their profile and their custom background appears. From here, the taskbar and desktop icons do not appear automatically and the user must open task manager and manually launch the process 'explorer.exe' to force the desktop to appear correctly.

The problem occurs with all the profiles on the computer and there is nothing in the event log to suggest that there is a problem.

Could someone help me out?

A:Windows stuck at login screen

Check the Shell value for Winlogon in your registry. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
should show:

Shell REG_SZ explorer.exe

Or download this tool: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip
This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

By the way, this is usually a sign of Virus\Malware infection
You are therefore advised to go here, and complete all steps:
Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-stuck-at-login-screen.114251/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi guys, sometimes I encounter this problem where I'm stuck on the login screen. It has only happened only after periods of inactivity, never at startup. My laptop also never sleeps, as it just turns off the monitor and gets locked. I would type my password and press enter and the loop thing would just keep on looping. I have to turn off the power button to restart it. Can anyone help? Thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/56286-windows-8-1-stuck-login-screen.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I had a problem yesterday where I couldn't log in to my account on Windows but my wife's account worked fine I noticed that the computer had poor performance when on her stuck Welcome Windows on alternative fix screen an login after 7 - account I ran MBAM and everything came back clean I tried both accounts in safe mode and had the same behavior Then I remembered that the night before the computer froze Windows 7 stuck on Welcome screen after login - an alternative fix up for about minutes then started working again I decided to restart it that night because I have a memory leak somewhere and I thought that it might have caused the crash Windows 7 stuck on Welcome screen after login - an alternative fix I never logged back in that night after the restart When I tried it the next morning I got the behavior above I went through the steps for this problem to run sfc scannow which always stopped at before I got an error that it couldn't complete I was still having problems with the performance too Everything would go fine for a few minutes then it would be excruciatingly slow for a while I remembered when I had performance issues like this before and it was when my hard drive was going out several years ago My current hard drive is not a year old yet so I didn't think that was happening I decided to run a chkdsk to make sure though While the first chkdsk was clean I decided to schedule the chkdsk r with the GUI not the cmd on startup The scan found that ntuser dat and a couple other files had bad sectors and moved them I left it all night to finish checking free disk space When I tried this morning I was able to login and the performance was back to normal It looks like in my case the ntuser dat was corrupted or affected in some way by the bad sector While this may not always be the case it could be the cause of some of the more difficult to fix instances of this problem

A:Windows 7 stuck on Welcome screen after login - an alternative fix

FWIW:  Programs/files don't "have" bad sectors...they lie on bad sectors, which are part of the hard drive/partition.  If the files are on bad sectors, then Windows may have difficulty reading such and using such files.

The chkdsk /r command is the only tool that I know of which can attempt to move files on bad sectors to good sectors.  It is not necessarily successful at any of these attempts.

Bad sectors increasing on hard drives can be an indicator of a failing/problematical hard drive.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564866/windows-7-stuck-on-welcome-screen-after-login-an-alternative-fix/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello all.
One of my friend has HP pro book laptop. Until yesterday it boot properly. But now it shows logon screen more than 10 minutes and welcome screen same time. After it boot it painfully slow. Why is that? How do i fix it?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/54236-windows-8-stuck-login-screen-not-finish-boot.html
Relevancy 71.81%

So I have installed windows 10 on my x220. Everything is updateted, I have installed all the drivers, using new UEFI booting and all that - no problems using it EXPECT that +- every second boot i get stuck on login screen. I then have to hard turn off the notebook by holding the power button. Boot again and it boots with no problem at all. I tryied repairing windows instalation by repair media, no success. I am using fingerprint scanner to login.It says "There was an error, please repete the action" while it gets stuck on login screen.Also nothing connected to the notebook.I have made a short video of my problem and added comments of what is happining.Anyone can help, please?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X220-stuck-at-login-screen-windows-10/td-p/3415881
Relevancy 71.81%

I've had this problem for almost a year and now and I got so fed up and quit using windows I partitioned the drive and installed another OS on it I can boot in safe mode but not normal mode I did not get an install cd with my purchase of the computer so I don't think I can repair it via that route spinning 7 circle Stuck with login screen Windows at I'd like to know what the possible causes are to see if I can repair it on my own Frankly I've had it up to here with Windows and am itching to wipe the drive and install another OS if I don not find a solution to the problem and find one fast Why can't microsoft create some way to repair startup over the net Because obviously this is a very common problem with Windows There are alternatives to windows that are very good out there little things like this push customers away like what is happening to me now I am mad to switch to totally to Ubuntu or some other Linux Distro as Windows 7 Stuck at login screen with circle spinning I found out long ago that they have everything and more that Windows has and most for free I like Windows for the look and feel but this annoying problem is getting to me and this isn't the first time something screwy like this happened to me I recall once with a laptop I had that had on Vista and another time in XP God This is so frustrating I need help and I need it fast my choice of OS is hanging on this here

A:Windows 7 Stuck at login screen with circle spinning

Quote: Originally Posted by kamron

I've had this problem for almost a year and now and I got so fed up and quit using windows. I partitioned the drive and installed another OS on it. I can boot in safe mode but not normal mode.

I did not get an install cd with my purchase of the computer so I don't think I can repair it via that route. I'd like to know what the possible causes are to see if I can repair it on my own. Frankly I've had it up to here with Windows and am itching to wipe the drive and install another OS if I don not find a solution to the problem and find one fast.

Why can't microsoft create some way to repair startup over the net? Because obviously this is a very common problem with Windows 7. There are alternatives to windows that are very good out there, little things like this push customers away (like what is happening to me now), I am mad to switch to totally to Ubuntu or some other Linux Distro as I found out long ago that they have everything and more that Windows has and most for free. I like Windows for the look and feel but this annoying problem is getting to me and this isn't the first time something screwy like this happened to me, I recall once with a laptop I had that had on Vista and another time in XP. God!!! This is so frustrating!!!!

I need help and I need it fast, my choice of OS is hanging on this here!!!

There is no need to switch from Windows 7. Windows 7 is a great os. Anyway, have you tried running system restore? You can run that by going to start then typing system restore. Restore to a time before this started happening.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/223061-windows-7-stuck-login-screen-circle-spinning.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi peeps Stuck Help before Windows on 8.1 Gray Screen page login I need some help I've read a lot of posts and not found any for my issue Most are stuck with flickering cursor I don't know exactly what happened so I'll go Windows 8.1 Help Stuck on Gray Screen before login page through what I done leading up to the issue I processed a Windows update I used spybot to remove some spyware which it didn't work so I selected run - msconfig - Windows 8.1 Help Stuck on Gray Screen before login page boot options - safe mode So I could run a new scan on spybot So I rebooted and bios page loaded then the blue Windows icon with the round dotted circle the screen then goes black for seconds All that loads up is a grey screen with narrator options in the bottom left corner and the restart shutdown option in the bottom right corner I've tried all kinds and don't know what to do Its Windows professional I touchscreen all in one I've had it months I don't have the disc to hand the person I purchased it from does have it still Thanks in advance

A:Windows 8.1 Help Stuck on Gray Screen before login page

Anyone help with this? How can i do a recovery.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55858-windows-8-1-help-stuck-gray-screen-before-login-page.html
Relevancy 71.81%

My PC stuck at the login screen without user password prompt in safe mode.

I've tried the solutions as follows, however, none of them are success :

Use the Windows 10 installation media to log into the "Troubleshoot Mode" and "Startup Repair".

"System Restore" in "Troubleshoot Mode" isn't work for me as Kaspersky IS is installed and it prevents the "System Restore" process.

Use the Windows 10 installation media, to try "Upgrade" the windows. It fails also as Windows 10 already exist.

It's grateful if anyone can help to fix it.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/65391-windows-10-stuck-login-screen-without-password-prompt.html
Relevancy 71.81%
A:Changing the Windows 7 Login Screen to an image larger than 256kb?

Sorry, but no. The size must be under 256KB.

You could use Paint, or some other image program, to resize the image to make it smaller to reduce it's size though.

Log On Screen - Change

Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/258670-changing-windows-7-login-screen-image-larger-than-256kb.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I have followed several similar threads and their fixes for this problem with no result After downloading the Win upgrade my system then said quot loading updates quot Then it restarted with a blue login screen saying quot Welcome Back quot And a box to enter my password The cursor is blinking in the box but neither my mouse or keyboard works I have hard booted several times since the ctrl alt delete does not work I am also not able to access safe mode as none of the quot F quot keys work during boot up I have tried the following Unplugged all USB devices except keyboard does at 10 windows recognize keyboard or stuck screen mouse login not Turning off internet at the router I have a Dell desktop and upgraded from Windows with a Netgear router modem I do NOT have an animated avitar as someone else mentioned in the forum The windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard only way I can get the system to move is if I power off at the main switch after booting up which goes into bios and disc diagnostics but I don't know enough about computers to know what to do there HELP PLEASE My computer is useless now

A:windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

Booted up again and let it run for several hours. I noticed some flashing under the power button like it was processing info, but it stopped after about 20 mins. Still frozen at login page. Help Please!

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/12355-windows-10-stuck-login-screen-does-not-recognize-mouse-keyboard.html
Relevancy 70.95%

When you enter the login screen, one of the user account options is pre-highlighted so that if you simply press "enter" instead of selecting one with the mouse or arrow keys, it'll attempt to log you into that account. I've the need recently to create a standard user account, which for some incredibly frustrating reason is always pre-selected instead of my administrator account (the one I use). I have no idea how to change this so that the administrator account is the one pre-selected.

Yea this is a stupid thing to complain about. But I've gotten used to logging in one way, and it's super annoying every time I forget and try the old way. Especially if I'm not in the best state of mind lol.

Oh, and for some reason creating a Guest account doesn't do this. Admin keeps priority. But Standard users are evidently more important than the admin >.>

A:Changing the automatically selected user account on login screen - Windows 7

Does my description of the problem not make sense, or is there just not a solution?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/changing-the-automatically-selected-user-account-on-login-screen-windows-7-a-652634.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello nice people Windows is asking me for a password despite I've never had a password Here's what happened I've never had a password and choose during the win install to have local account without password I used to have login name screen Changing user login on the local the a user login name with an non ascii character and it was causing me some trouble Hence Changing the local user login name on the login screen I decided to change it with ascii only characters Control Panel users etc properties changed the name of the local user Reboot and boom Windows asks me for a password and is displaying the former user name But there's no option to change the user name I've read that there should be a back arrow but it's not here probably because windows quot thinks quot there's no point since there is only user I don't know what to do I used a Linux live usb distro to use some tools that can reset password and unlock account however it can only reset password which seems not to be the issue here the issue is the wrong user name the linux tool shows local user with the last update name So I'm guessing windows is not using the proper name to login but doesn't provide any mean to change it If anyone has an idea that would be greatly approciated

A:Changing the local user login name on the login screen

Hello Bob, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Double check in Netplwiz to do step 4 to set Windows to automatically sign in to your user account at startup. If you had this set before, then it may not have been updated after you removed your password, and needs to be setup again.

Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/54730-changing-local-user-login-name-login-screen.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Well the title was hopefully discriptive and brief enough to get some skilled help on this one so here is a bit more details I am working on a DELL XPS with Vista Home Premium build its a couple years old Its not mine and I am not entirely familiar with the machine I do know this it can handle vista fine and works well until yeasterday I am told the Login reinstall Vista stuck activate, screen Home, must to at Windows machine came from Dell and was bought just as Dell switched to not offering XP anymore I do not know what updates have been applied Error Details Boots fine to login screen then I get error message quot Windows must be reinstalled to Activate quot I hit close and get droped to Login Vista Home, Windows must reinstall to activate, stuck at Login screen screen I click admin user only user available and Vista Home, Windows must reinstall to activate, stuck at Login screen get Vista Home, Windows must reinstall to activate, stuck at Login screen the message again As an additional error the bottom right of my screen reads This Copy of Windows is not Genuine Windows Vista Build I do have Windows and OS X Snow Leapord disks available if I need to use them but would rather not I do not as yet know if Vista disks are available What I need I need to recover critical buisness files from the computer if at possible before doing a reinstall Attempting a safe mode boot to try and recover files now while I wait for quot hopefully prompt quot response

A:Vista Home, Windows must reinstall to activate, stuck at Login screen

As an update, I am able to login via safe mode and in the process of backing up files.

I still do not know the cause of my errors above and would greatly appriciate some insight.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/273290-vista-home-windows-must-reinstall-activate-stuck-login-screen.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I'm trying to repair my wifes comp that I lent to my cousin (its at his place).

There were a lot of nastys, but I have cleaned most of them out using: avg, kasperky (something like that), S&D, Ad-Aware and avast.

Computer has WinPatrol installed, and comodo firewall. Unfortunitely they set the firewall to "allow all", and accepted any changes Scotty picked up on.

As far as I know the only problems left is that the Host file has been changed and this stops them from getting onto most antivirus sites and techguy. I tried deleteing the entries manually, but it wont allow me to change it.

kasperky (or whatever it is) is picking up a couple of files that are password protected, one is an ini file.

I tried changing the host file with both kasperky (or whatever it is) and Scotty turned off and also left on.

An help appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/host-file-keeps-changing.680648/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi,

Previously I've never had this problem. My host file had a lot of localhost subdomain since I'm working as a developer. Starting past 2 weeks, I'm not sure either windows or a virus keep on adding

# redirecting this is just a bad idea infront my 12.0.0.1

# redirecting this is just a bad idea 127.0.0.1 triapp.localhost
# redirecting this is just a bad idea ::1 triapp.localhost
but all domain not having localhost stay as it is.
127.0.0.1 ecms2.com
::1 ecms2.com

I've tried restore my windows 8 to 27/10/2014 everything works perfectly until I had a few windows update.

I'm using AVG. Already put host file at exclude list, in windows defender and avg.

Tried using Malwarebytes and still no luck.

Hope someone can guide me how to solved this problem.

A:Host file keep changing when restart

I'm also having exact same issue since I updated Windows (8.1) and 'Connectify' (on 16 Nov, 2014)

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/57005-host-file-keep-changing-when-restart.html
Relevancy 64.93%

hello people of 7forums
i saw this login mod on deviantart link
i wanted to try it but the thing is i can't replace the original
i have took ownership of the authui.dll file.
when i renamed it to authui_original.dll and i paste the new file it doesn't paste there.
and when i try to renamed the original file back, it doesn't either.
i am just curious why i does that.

windows 7 64bit 7600
i have not done any mods to my login yet. neither the background change

A:Help| changing login screen look

maybe this will help:

Log On Screen - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/117279-help-changing-login-screen-look.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I am using Windows XP home edition I posted this in the wrong forum a few days ago and was advised to post it here with a new hjt log They did say that I had more serious problems than just my host file needing to be restored They also said that there didn t seem to be a firewall How can I find out if I m using Window s firewall Arovax Shield popped up a message quot Warning Your Windows host file was hijacked It is recommended to restore host file quot Now I can t use was restore "Your Solved: file." is hijacked. file to host recommended Windows host It my anti-virus program because it stalls freezes before it finishes I can t use Panda or any other on-line scanner because Solved: "Your Windows host file was hijacked. It is recommended to restore host file." it too freezes before it can finish I can t shutdown my computer - not even cold boot I have to completely unplug it I can t do a system restore to a previous date I ve tried several previous dates I have no idea how to restore the host file and I have no idea how it was hijacked Here is my new HJT log I hope it will be of some help Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C Program Files Softex OmniPass Omniserv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exe C Program Files Softex OmniPass OPXPApp exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exe C PROGRA COMMON Stardock SDMCP exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files AcmeNet TurboNet arteraui exe C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C PROGRA DESKTO datray exe C Program Files AcmeNet TurboNet artera exe C PROGRA INCRED bin IMApp exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Star Downloader stardown exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C WINDOWS system notepad exe C WINDOWS system notepad exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Java jre bin javaw exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http my myway com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http srch-qus hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer ftp localhost http localhost https localhost socks localhost R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C PROGRA Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll R - URLSearchHook no name - A FAF - E- cf- - F A D - no file O - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C PROGRA Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll... Read more

A:Solved: "Your Windows host file was hijacked. It is recommended to restore host file."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-your-windows-host-file-was-hijacked-it-is-recommended-to-restore-host-file.658813/
Relevancy 64.5%

Two days ago my computer started laggin really bad so I ran a virus scan(we have 5 teenage boys that download games ALOT). In the middle of the scan the computer locks up. I rebooted in safe mode but it will not get past the log in screen. It starts loading....blinks the safe mode black and white screen and then goes to the windows login screen. If you try to log in it says it is "loading your settings" then states "saving your settings" and will not advance past that. When I try to reboot it just does the same thing. It will not let me into the safe mode or out of safe mode. How do I get past this to fix it.....

A:Stuck at login screen

On boot, where you hit F8 to access Safe Mode (Assuming you did and the machine didn't do that for you!) - Hit the F8 key and select "Last Known Good Configuration"

Try that and Post back your results!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/stuck-at-login-screen-364003.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Okay, so yesterday I added a login password to the main (and only) user account. This was because while I was in the shower, I had a Adaware scan running and didn't want anyone to mess with the comp. So, the computer was locked at the login screen.

After I got out, I logged back in and removed this password. I also removed the welcome screen option at the Control Panel. For the rest of the day, I did the usual browsing and listening to music. However, when I woke up today, the computer was stuck at the login screen.

... I have no clue what happened and what to do. I tried re-entering the password from yesterday, but to no avail. All of my family members have said nobody has touched the computer.

Is there any way I can override this login screen? Thanks

Relevancy 64.5%

My mother is a JROTC teacher and the Army sent new laptops to all instructors. The laptop keeps locking up and not taking the password they gave us to use. How do I get in to use the laptop?

A:stuck on the login screen

Welcome to TSF

Unfortunately for you, the forum does not assist in bypassing passwords. Please contact the Army for assistance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/stuck-on-the-login-screen-502954.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi I've Got Win bit running on my new comp It's a clean installation only games and a Antivirus Bitdefender installed system is up to date Bios and graph card are up to date up since a week or Everything worked fine till yesterday After playing I shutted down my computer but later in the evening I wanted to check something on the internet and he stucked on the logonscreen He's says my PwD is wrong but I'm sure it is not I check if the Keyboard wasn't in an other language but he doesn't tried through the utilman to type my pwd but that doesn't respond neither does the shutdownbutton login on Stuck screen. reboot or hibernate doesn't respond also What didn't work - Hard reboot and reset Stuck on login screen. - Reboot without additionnal drives only mouse and keyboard - Tried the Stuck on login screen. 'utilman workaround' - When i go into safe mode automaticaly he's trying to repair I cant pass through that he finds something on the 'ntoskernel exe' repairs it and reboots - With the Win DvD I can access a cmd prompt but I can't acces my C drive strangly i find my configuration on a 'D' Drive - I haven't a restore Point neither an image Before I reinstall and that would be my very last option because I want to know the cause of it so i can try to solve it do you have any other ideas Config Asus P P D I CPU Radeon HD G skill Falcon II Go SSD GB Corsair TR X G C D Thx for your help

A:Stuck on login screen.

Welcome!

First, just confirm that your caps lock key is off.

You can also try changing your password via this method: User Account Password - Change from WinRE

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/73014-stuck-login-screen.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I remember my password, but for some reason it says it's incorrect. I also cannnot enter Safe Mode properly. Please help

A:I'm stuck at the login screen.

Are you trying to login to safe mode with the account named Administrator?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/im-stuck-at-the-login-screen.483941/
Relevancy 64.5%

hy everyone, i just joined this forum in case you could help me with my problem in windows 7. i had this issue about 2 days ago, had been searching and browsing for solutions but nothing worked. here is may problem :

my windows keeps rolling back to login screen everytime i enter my account. i tried to boot from safe mode using the same account and it worked, activated Administrator account using command prompt (net users administrator \active:yes), went to "msconfig" and choosed selective start up and services. back to normal boot, the problem happened again and again. i logged in using administrator account but some of my program didn't work well (especially the latest CX-One V.9.1 Omron PLC programmer, i got this one way install full version from the distributor)

please help me activate my original account

best regards
boysandra

A:stuck on login screen

Hello boysandra, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if doing a system restore at boot using a restore point (if available) dated before this happened may be able to fix this for you without having to do anything else.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/296978-stuck-login-screen.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hopefully this will be a super easy fix.

I just bought a hp mini 311 netbook. The user login screen shows only one icon for a user account. Even though that account always had the word "locked" under it, it would always open up when clicked on. Now it will not. I've had the computer only about a day now.

So I'm stuck at the login screen. Is there a way to create a new account from this screen? Other thoughts.

Thanks,
Ryan.

A:Stuck at login screen.

Hello Ryan !! Welcome to Seven Forums !!

Follow this link Safe Mode and log on to the Safe Mode there you might find an Administrator account.Login to that account and create a new Administrator. Then reboot the System normally.

Hope this helps,
Captain

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/91782-stuck-login-screen.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I've seen some windows XP installations use an old school, 95-esque login dialogue. The one I have, however, uses the (default, presumably) blue screen with user icons. Is there a way for me to change this? I'd prefer it if my computer booted into XP with my username in the user field and the cursor in the password field for me to enter my password and hit enter to log in.

Relevancy 64.5%

Hi, I would like to change the picture that is shown after the computer starts or after a user logs out; the one you click on to get to the list of users and log in. I have two accounts on the computer, and in both of them I changed the "Lock Screen" picture to be the stock picture of the piano. When the computer first boots up it shows the piano and I log in, but if I sign out of the account to switch users the picture that is used in the splash screen reverts to the drawing of Seattle. How can I get it to permanently use the piano or for that matter any other picture besides the Seattle one when switching users?

Thanks in advance!

A:Changing login screen background

Hello MathGuy, and welcome to Eight Forums.

In Windows 8 there is two "Lock" screens available. One used that is set by a user when they are signed in. The other is the default image used when there are no users signed in.

The only problem is that only Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Enterprise, or Windows Server 2012 are able to change the default Lock screen background for when there are no users signed in.

(Set by user)
Lock Screen - Background Image - Change in Windows 8

(Default when no users signed in)
Lock Screen Background Image - Set Default in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/26646-changing-login-screen-background.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hey guys I was wondering will changing the login background screen do any damage? As I read a thread about a guy who did it and his PC crapped itself. So is it okay to change it? Same applies with the boot thingy. The 4 coloured dots coming together.

A:Changing The Login Screen Background.

Absolutely no problem. There are a lot of free applications that can change your logon screen with a few mouse clicks.

Here's my current:

It shows my normal user accounts (Admin & Kari, both in English) plus additional three accounts in languages I sometimes need (Finnish, Swedish and German, respective languages by Windows 7 language packs). Logon screen changed using LogonStudio.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/228303-changing-login-screen-background.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I'm using Windows XP SP2
I did this years ago, but when SP appears, I haven't change it because compatibility problem

So any of you doing this?
If so, do you use additional software that can do both? what I did was just changing the ntoskrnl.exe for boot screen, I never try the login screen one

I take a look at themexp.org / wincustomize.com & some of them said about it's compatible with SP1 (probably also with SP2) or using other software, I did use StyleXP but it doesn't really work the last time I tried (years ago though), I also used DesktopX, but it's too much coding with that

So any suggestion for a software that can change both login & boot screen? (& if it's possible, the theme also )

Thanks

A:Any Of You Changing Your Login/boot Screen ?

The first site you recommend, Themexp.org, is considered a RED site by MacAfee SiteAdvisor. It should be avoided. Details of Themexp.orgThe second site reports to be GREEN by SiteAdvisor.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/104264/any-of-you-changing-your-loginboot-screen/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello, not sure if this is the right section, but it does involve some security. This computer is a family computer, mine actually, but used by the family, and one of the members always takes off the option in screen savers to display login upon resume. is there any way to block this, besides creating a new user. from being changed?

A:Prevent changing login screen

Originally Posted by Squallboogie

Hello, not sure if this is the right section, but it does involve some security. This computer is a family computer, mine actually, but used by the family, and one of the members always takes off the option in screen savers to display login upon resume. is there any way to block this, besides creating a new user. from being changed?

Hi,

The user is not able to change this option which is located in power options unless he/she is an administrator. Simply make them a standard user. Hope this helps.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/256957-prevent-changing-login-screen.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi, I've been a happy user of my Windows 7 for about a year but about a week ago I started getting the problem of windows stucknig after loging in. Sometimes I restart the computer for 20 times and yet it doesn't work and most often the problem is temporary. I can use the Safe Mode, I've cleaned my startup list using RegCleaner, scanned the computer with CCleaner and Ad-aware and I've also done chdsk /f

Sadly, nothing seems to work for me.

A:Windows stuck at the "Welcome" screen after login

For the registry cleaning:Many of us on the forums actually do not recommend automated optimization tools for Windows 7. Windows 7 does a much better job of handling its own optimization than its predecessors did. We especially do not recommend registry cleaning as an "optimization" step because automated registry cleaning causes more harm to the registry than it actually repairs.

In the future, if you need help optimizing Windows 7, please post a thread in Performance & Maintenance - Windows 7 Forums or follow the tutorial enclosed in that forum to Optimize Windows 7.
Hopefully the damage has not already been done by the registry cleaning. I realize you were trying to repair the system, but you may have made the problem worse. The first step I would recommend is to Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup. It sounds like you may have already cleaned up the startup items, but you probably did not disable all non-Microsoft services.
If you need further help after those steps, please upload your msinfo32.nfo file. To get this: Start Menu -> Type msinfo32 into the Search programs and files box -> When it opens, go to File, Save -> Save as msinfo32.nfo and save in a place you will remember -> Let it finish the process of gathering and saving the system info -> Right click the .nfo file, click send to compressed (zipped) folder -> Upload the .zip file here.

Also, please fill in your system specs in your profile and not in a post in this thread: System Info - See Your System Specs

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/236029-windows-stuck-welcome-screen-after-login.html
Relevancy 63.64%

It loads up normally, my avatar pops up with my name, I insert my password..

'Welcome *blue circle*'
*5-10 minutes later*
Desktop appears.

I have no idea whats causing it though it started after I had to shut-down my computer using the power button.

I've checked Event Viewer and these are the 5 errors that came up while stuck on the Welcome Screen.

-The AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner service hung on starting
-A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.
-The event logging service encountered an error (res=1117) while initializing logging resources for channel Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-WHEA.
-Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains the error number.
-Audit events have been dropped by the transport. The real time backup file was corrupt due to improper shutdown. (the first error and the cause perhaps?)

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Stuck on 'Welcome' screen for at least 5 minutes before login.

For starters I would uninstall AVG Free8 .

But download one of the other free AV programs so you can install when you get your machine cleaned up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stuck-on-welcome-screen-for-at-least-5-minutes-before-login.836312/
Relevancy 63.64%

I ve been running Windows XP SP for Stuck User screen at Login years Stuck at User Login screen Went back to school and I m taking Japanese When I installed activated the Japanese fonts it asked me to restart the computer I did so and now where previously I would go directly to the desktop I am taken to the User Login screen When I click on my name it moves for a moment and says that it s loading my preferences Then the icon snaps back to its original spot and does nothing If I click it again the exact same thing happens If I try to login in safe mode it does the same thing except I also get the administrator login icon Anyone have any idea why this is doing this and or if there s anything I can do short of reinstalling that will help In looking around the internet I have found two instances where someone has had this same problem but no luck on solutions Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Stuck at User Login screen

When you log into the administrator account, does the same thing happen?

Also, do you have any of the following:
-Windows XP CD
-Recovery CD
-Recovery Partition

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stuck-at-user-login-screen.1071722/
Relevancy 63.64%

I have tried to help a friend with their laptop. It starts up fine, but once u get to the login screen and click on the user, it says loggin on, then goes to saving settings then logging off. Brings u right back to the login screen.

I have tried safe mode, networking, every thing listed. Nothing. I have even tried to reboot from the start up disk. Won't do it. Keeps going to the login screen. What am I missing? please help. He is working on a Dell Ispirion 9300. XP. thank you

Relevancy 63.64%

Sorry to disturb.

May I know what the problem during the time I'm trying to install Windows 7 and it just stuck at the login screen background without any changed after 30 minutes?

I have try to adjust the BIOS to Native IDE, RAID and ACHI. But nothing was changed.

I still could find any solution after I reading some of the thread.

Hopefully I could get any solution here.

A:Stuck during login screen background

Where did you get Win7? If you burned the DVD yourself, burn another at 4x speed using ImgBurn.

Try install from a USB flash stick. Best method is to install UltraISO trial, on File tab open ISO, on Bootable tab write Disk Image, Format, Write.

Unnplug all other HD's and peripherals. Boot DVD, wipe the target HD: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

Then choose Custom Install, use Drive Options to partition and format before install.

If further fails, test your RAM using memtest86 CD for 5-6 passes. Then test your HD using maker's diag/repair full CD scan: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

Check for latest BIOS version update. If current, reset the CMOS: Clear CMOS - 3 Ways to Clear the CMOS - Reset BIOS

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/131850-stuck-during-login-screen-background.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi I think I have a Malware infection in my pc xp sp Dell xps model Here's the sequence of events a McAfee scan found a couple files which were then quarentined But suspiciously when the scan Stuck (in screen a at Login loop) was done there were new Internet Explorer sessions open I right-clicked on each IE on the task bar and closed them then rebooted Now I can't get past the login Windows presents the login box I type my username and Stuck at Login screen (in a loop) password my desktop background picture appears then a quot Logging Off quot box appears Stuck at Login screen (in a loop) and I'm back at the log in screen Type username and password quot Logging Off quot back at login screen a terrible loop I've tried booting in Safe Mode plain quot with networking quot and quot with command prompt quot and get the same results - stuck at the login loop I also tried booting to Last Known Good Configuration but got the same results - stuck at login I need to get past this point so I can run diagnostics Thanks in advance for the help

Relevancy 63.64%

I have my screen resolution set to 1920x1200, native is set to this, nvidia control panel confirms it, yet every time I restart after a shutdown or an update, my screen resets to some random low resolution such as 1020x768 or 800x600 (the worst of the 2, it set the colors all funky). Every time after it does this, I have to go back and change the resolution back, and move all of my icons back to their places. I have tried everything to get rid of this problem, even such as to change the registry defaults for resolution. I have base video off, and all other solutions people seem to have do not work. I have had lots of experiences with computers, but this one has stumped me. If I missed a default or it is one of those things that just is so obvious that you overlook it, please post.

A:Resolution changing at login screen after boot

Hi scott

Go to this link and update all your drivers then reboot: Gateway Support - Drivers, Software and Firmware Updates

If the problem still exists then click on the vista start orb. In the search bar type Task Scheduler and hit enter. Next click on task scheduler library - microsoft - windows - mobile pc -TMM - then on the right side set it to disable. The reboot your pc.

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/226659-resolution-changing-login-screen-after-boot.html
Relevancy 63.64%

You can change the lock/boot screen on Win7 by adding the following key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background

Add a DWord value to that key of OEMBackground = 1.

Finally, create a JPG < 250k of the correct size for your default resolution named backgroundDefault.jpg and place it in:

C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\Backgrounds

Now when you lock or boot you will have a customized image.

Have not tried it my self but saw it somewhere, i dont know if this has been posted but im sure a lot of people would be interested.

A:changing image of password/ login screen

Tutorial here - Log On Screen - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/45857-changing-image-password-login-screen.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello,

is it possible to change the font-color of the username in the login-screen?
Maybe changing the font and fontsize too?

Thanks.

A:Changing font color of the login-screen

Originally Posted by TheGerMan

Hello,

is it possible to change the font-color of the username in the login-screen?
Maybe changing the font and fontsize too?

Thanks.

Hi GerMan,

Font color: High Contrast Theme,
Font size: raise the DPI in Display Settings,
Font look: not that I'm aware of!

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/42418-changing-font-color-login-screen.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Thanks for your advice. I've transferred my problem to "Malware Removal & Hijack This Logs", as you suggested.

How do I delete this thread??

A:"Your Windows host file was hijacked. It is recommended to restore host file."

Try deleting or renaming the Hosts file.
It will be recreated, so no harm to try.
It's at:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
It's named "HOSTS- no extension.
You can open this file with Notepad of you're curious enough to see what it says.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/your-windows-host-file-was-hijacked-it-is-recommended-to-restore-host-file.658487/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello my mother has a laptop DELL Latitude D with Windows not stuck error, file start, at found Windows screen Pro XP won't black XP Professional on it It used to work fine but one day gave an error message that the NTDSAPI dll was not found and suggested reinstalling the application After clicking OK the screen goes black and the Windows XP Pro won't start, file not found error, stuck at black screen only thing visible is the pointer arrow I used another computer to download a copy of the file and put it on a usb drive I then rebooted the laptop hit F and booted from the CD using an Ubuntu CD I didn't install Ubuntu I just had it run from the CD I then connected the USB drive and used Ubuntu to copy the file to C Windows System I then restarted the computer and then got an error message that NCObjAPI DLL was not found I repeated the same steps above rebooted again and got an error message again that yet another file was missing At that point I decided to try and find another way to fix this since I had no idea how many more times it would have me replace a file Since this laptop was bought awhile back through Ebay we have no microsoft XP Pro CD to use the microsoft recovery console I found several online but they all seem to be for Microsoft XP Home After I download the iso and burn to a CD using ImgBurn I try to launch the recovery console on the laptop but without success Instead of bringing up a menu to open recovery console it tries to install windows or something and eventually gives a pci sys error I believe this is because all the iso's I've found are for XP Home and I need XP Pro I don't know what to try next I read a post somewhere about renaming moving system restore files to restore the laptop to an earlier state and I could probably rename the files using Ubuntu but I'm not sure that wouldn't mess things up more As it is I've used Ubuntu to go back and delete the files I added in case they were the problem and now I get the following error messages Services exe - Unable to Locate Component This application has failed start because NCObjAPI DLL was not found Re-installing the application may fix this problem Then the only option is an OK button After clicking that a second error message appears lsass exe - Unable to Locate Component This application has failed to start because NTDSAPI dll was not found Re-installing the application may fix this problem Again there is only an OK button to click and after that the screen stays black The only thing that shows is the pointer arrow and that can be moved around Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Windows XP Pro won't start, file not found error, stuck at black screen

FWIW:  The Recovery Console for XP Home is the same one for XP Pro.

I don't believe the Recovery Console is the cure for whatever is wrong...if system files are missing/corrupted, ti seems to me that you need either recovery disks or a Genuine XP install disk to even attempt running sfc /scannow or doing a repair or clean install.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/495069/windows-xp-pro-wont-start-file-not-found-error-stuck-at-black-screen/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi all I've been using seven bit version for quite a while now 7077 Build login stuck @ screen! on my laptop MSI GX PX - amd turion x ati hd MB GB gigs of ram The first installation did the problem mentioned in the title of the topic after i installed Kerio personal firewall - i didn't know what to do so i just reinstalled windows But now it happened again The comp was running for days i turned it off around am then turned it on at am - for the first time i could login and i even see the taskbar and the background but the icons never showed i couldn't click anything on the taskbar either ctrl alt del did nothing so i had to restart it manually The login screen showed up i entered my password but it never made it to the desktop it just got stuck like that the HDD wasn't spinning or anything Build 7077 stuck @ login screen! - restart - in safe mode it boots up normally so i uninstalled a few recently installed Build 7077 stuck @ login screen! programs mkvtoolnix and alike but after restarting it got stuck at Build 7077 stuck @ login screen! the login screen again Now normally i would just reinstall windows but after two months it has too many programs - lot of time to install them again So i thought i'll ask here for help The notebook has XP as it's main OS seven is installed on a virtual harddrive gigs Thank's for any kind of help in advance

A:Build 7077 stuck @ login screen!

Hi there
I can't give you a reason as to the error but this might work.

Try starting Windows in SAFE MODE as you've done but disable Networking and then shutting down. This should clear out any "Stuck" services. Switch off Firewall and uninstall any AV software whilst in SAFE MODE.

Incidentally while you are logged on in save mode see what starts automatically and stop those you don't need -- there are posts around suggesting what you can stop running automatically.

When you try again in "Normal mode" start DISCONNECTED from any network and switch your wireless card off.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/7559-build-7077-stuck-login-screen.html
Relevancy 62.78%

dear bleeping computer how are you guys here's my story why i need help so my uncle asked me to repair his very slow acer laptop so i said why not i got it directly got to ssafe mode caus it was very slow downloaded malwarebytes anti-malware ran a scan and it found threads it took long enough to delete maybe threads and then it shut down because keyboard & mouse login screen stuck on the charger didnt get electricity then i restarted in safe mode ran the scan again and found threads between or in numbers it took hours to quarantine them fell asleep and in the morning the safe mode worked fine so i geussed why not go to normal mode when all the threads where removed did that mouse & keyboard stuck on login screen and till now mouse amp keyboard freezes when starting up and seeing the cursor it gets mouse & keyboard stuck on login screen stuck at login where you have to so i cant login or go to explorer to do anything please i need help i dont got any backup cd's orso because he lost everything and its an old pc i'll try to upgrade it to window maybe after it's repaired hope there is help regards Daniel

A:mouse & keyboard stuck on login screen

try an external mouse and keyboard with USB,

if you dont have anything on it that you need backed up or saved, i would create a bootable vista install CD or usb drive and re-install vista using your current productkey/id

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582822/mouse-keyboard-stuck-on-login-screen/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hey there new here and need some help Here's what happened I Stuck screen, password disappears at login opened internet explorer and typed in a google search and hit enter and it popped up a new instance of iexplorer instead of just searching in the current window as usual Then links I clicked on opened Stuck at login screen, password disappears new windows which is not Stuck at login screen, password disappears the usual setting When I clicked in the middle of text on a web page it would highlight everything Strange little things like that So I clicked start gt Turn Off gt Restart and nothing happened it just went back to the desktop Pushed the Windows key and it wouldn't open the start menu Finally I had to do a hard shut-off I waited a minute and booted the computer back up when it stopped at the login password screen as usual I typed the password and hit the Enter key and it just deleted the password and stayed on the page So I retyped it and clicked with the mouse on the green arrow button with the same result Laptop built in mouse button did the same thing Eventually it just froze entirely and I could not even type in the password box Also the little help icon on this screen would not bring anything up it's like all the keys got remapped to different functions The only recent updates were the automatic Windows updates upon shutdown earlier today and the comp worked fine after booting up after that the first time Any thoughts I'm on a Dell laptop with XP Home Thanks EDIT I hard shut down the comp again and let it sit for about min Booted back up and it's functioning normally I'm still afraid it will happen again though so any input will be appreciated

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/stuck-at-login-screen-password-disappears-258719.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello So here's my issue I started my computer and came back to find a BSOD It displayed an error code and mentioned something about a driver error I waited until the loading reached but it didn't restart on its own so i shut the computer down manually by holding the power button on my case Then it booted up but it got stuck on Stuck at before screen spinning login circle the spinning circle of dots Stuck at spinning circle before login screen I have been able to press CTRL ALT DEL while at the spinning circle which bring me to the login screen but without the box to enter my pin however I am able to access the network ease of access and power options I have tried restarting shutting down and holding shift while restarting in an effort to boot with safe mode but none have gotten me farther than the spinning circle I have searched a lot of forums and many have had similar issues to mine but none of the fixes that were suggested got me anywhere Attached are photos of the different screens I'm seeing which hopefully shed some light on the issue I'm having Thanks

A:Stuck at spinning circle before login screen

Hello and welcome to TenForums

How long did you wait for the spinning circles to complete whatever background tasks were going on? Sometimes it can take a long while if the problem happened when Windows was in the middle of an upgrade when it restarted. Next time just go and have a cup of tea and leave it for say 30 mins.

If that does not work you are going to have to boot from a W10 installation media disk or USB and go into advanced startup options to try and refresh windows.

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10

Refresh Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/41324-stuck-spinning-circle-before-login-screen.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My son bought his first laptop (with his own earned money)  1 1/2 years ago.  a few months ago it began running really slow and then eventually wouldn't boot up.  we ended up doing a factory reset.  Fast forward a couple months and we are having the sam issues and now it gets stuck on the login page.  I have ran the sysem extensive test and

I ran the test and everything passes.  Please advice us what we can do next.  sooo disappointed!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-Pavilion-getting-stuck-on-welcom-Login-screen/td-p/5616607
Relevancy 62.78%

About a month ago, I made a repair install on my family's Dell desktop computer. Everything turned out to be fine except a minor difference. A couple minutes after using it and logging off, the background, where the row(s) of accounts are after booting, switched from a light blue color(with a tiny bird) screen to a dark blue one (w/o the bird).

Was this supposed to happen?

Is there any way to switch the background back to what I assume is the default with the tiny bird?

A:Changing Welcome/Login Screen Background Back To Default

Welcome to Seven Forums mysterygurgle. If it was default, running the System File Checker should restore it.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

See if this is the image:

It should be located in C:\windows\System32\oobe\background.bmp

You can also change it yourself

Log On Screen - Change

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/275887-changing-welcome-login-screen-background-back-default.html
Relevancy 62.78%

After F and onto the boot menu options my computer refuses to boot in safe mode It gives me an error of quot Sorry for the inconvenience windows did not boot properly a recent hardware or software change might have caused this quot The other options like quot safe mode Stuck options at screen boot after msconfig in changing with networking quot and quot safe mode in command prompt Stuck in boot screen after changing options at msconfig quot DO NOT work either I'd have no choice but to choose quot start windows normally quot But now I have a bigger problem I tried another way of starting in safe mode by going to RUN gt MSCONFIG gt BOOT INI and clicking the check box on SAFEBOOT It prompted me to restart and when it did I ended up on the safe mode boot menu once again All options quot safe mode quot quot safe mode with networking quot and quot safe mode in command prompt quot are still giving me the same error And now even the other options quot start windows normally quot and quot last known configuration quot DO NOT work either No matter what option I choose it just restarts the computer over and Stuck in boot screen after changing options at msconfig over leaving me stuck on that screen I'm running windows xp home edition Please help me out

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/stuck-in-boot-screen-after-changing-options-at-msconfig-433955.html
Relevancy 62.78%

After F and onto the boot menu options my computer refuses to boot in safe mode It gives me an error of quot Sorry for the inconvenience windows did not boot properly after in options boot changing msconfig at screen Stuck a recent hardware or software change might have caused this quot The other options like quot safe mode with networking quot and quot safe mode in command prompt quot DO NOT work either I d have no choice but to choose quot Stuck in boot screen after changing options at msconfig start windows normally quot But now I have a bigger problem I tried another way of starting in safe mode by going to RUN gt MSCONFIG gt BOOT INI and clicking the check box on SAFEBOOT It prompted me to restart and when it did I ended up on the safe mode boot menu once again All options quot safe mode quot quot safe mode with networking quot and quot safe mode in command prompt quot are still giving me the same error And now even the other options quot start windows normally quot and quot last known configuration quot DO NOT work either No matter what option I choose it just restarts the computer over and over leaving me stuck on that screen I m running windows xp home edition Please help me out nbsp

A:Stuck in boot screen after changing options at msconfig

Welcome to TSG!

You'll need to edit the boot.ini file to remove the /safeboot:minimal option that msconfig added.
You can rebuild the boot.ini file using the Recovery Console
Boot with a Live CD to edit the file
Connect the drive to a different PC to edit the file.
#1. Boot to the Recovery Console.
Set your system to boot from CD, either by setting the boot order in the BIOS, or using the boot menu if your system provides one, usually by pressing one of the FX keys; F9, F10, F12 are common.
Insert the Windows XP CD and boot the system.
When prompted to Press any key to boot from CD... press any key like Spacebar or Enter

When you boot from the CD, the following is displayed:
On a black screen:
Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...
Screen turns Blue, and Windows Setup is displayed at the top.
at the bottom is displayed the following in sequence:
Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver
Press F2 to run Automated System Recovery (ASR)...
Setup is loading files (file names displayed)
Title changes to Windows XP Professional (or Home Edition) Setup

The options to setup or repair Windows are displayed
Choose To repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.
You may need to choose the Windows installation if you have a dual boot system. Type the number of the Windows installation you want to log into.
You will need to enter the Administrator password unless you previously disabled that requirement; if it's blank, just press enter.

You should now be at a C:\WINDOWS> prompt
Type the following lines pressing enter after each one. Change the drive letter if needed.
Note that there are spaces between each differently colored part of the commands:
CD \ (There is a space after CD)
Ren Boot.ini Boot.old
If you get an error that the file can't be found skip step 3.
Type Exit. This will reboot the system. Re-enter the Recovery Console and start at step 4.
(If you don't reboot, any previous entries in the boot.ini file might get added again, as they are stored in memory)
Type BootCfg /Rebuild
This will go through several prompts.
The following is an example. You would type the colored text:

Code:
Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

The Windows installation scan was successful.

Note: These results are stored statically for this session.
If the disk configuration changes during this session,
in order to get an updated scan, you must first reboot
the machine and then rescan the disks.

Total identified Windows installs: 1

[1]: C:\WINDOWS
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):[B][COLOR=Red]y[/COLOR][/B]
Enter Load Identifier:[B][COLOR=Red]Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition[/COLOR][/B] (or what ever you want to identify the OS)
Enter OS Load Options:[B][COLOR=Red]/noexecute=optin [COLOR=Blue]/fastdetect[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
Note: There is a space between [B]optin[/B] and [B]/fastdetect[/B]
Remove the CD, then type Exit and see if it will boot into Windows.

#2 Live CDs
Live CDs:
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
BartPE CD/DVD
Ultimate Boot CD
Knoppix
Ubuntu
Puppy Linux
The first two require access to a Windows XP Disk
The Ultimate Boot CD does not include SATA drivers, so you'll need to be able to change the BIOS setting for the SATA controller to ATA instead of AHCI, or Compatibility mode instead of Enhanced (wording will vary)
Note: A Vista/Win7 DVD can also be used to recover files and make some repairs. A Vista RE disk can be downloaded from one of these links:
Vista Recovery Environment CD
64 bit Vista
32 bit Vista
Boot with the DVD
Select your language and click Next
Click Repair your Computer
After it scans for Windows installations click Next (Win7: Select Top option first)
Click Command Prompt.
Type the following commands:
attrib -R -H -S C:\boot.ini
C:\Windows\notepad.exe c:\boot.ini
Remove the /safeboot:minimal option, then save the file
attrib +R +... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stuck-in-boot-screen-after-changing-options-at-msconfig.879227/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello I am having issues with the no Welcome Issues, prompt screen, password Login stuck computer I built for my grandparents http speccy piriform com results BdOHfoWmZDbDeWQUSFD LWv I will turn on the computer reach the user Login Issues, stuck Welcome screen, no password prompt login screen There are users to pick from It usually doesn t matter which I pick Sometimes this issue will occur sometimes it won t There are different variations of the issue I will click on a user to login to but no password prompt will appear just the mouse and the blue flowery looking background is present I will be able to input a password but the desktop fails to load and all that is present is the mouse and the spinning circle with Welcome next to it The only way I get out of either issue is to do a manual shutdown Sometimes I can login without and issue I ve Login Issues, stuck Welcome screen, no password prompt found booting into Safe mode rebooting from safe mode then attempting to login allows me to login but I have no idea Login Issues, stuck Welcome screen, no password prompt whether or not Safe mode has anything to do with it I hope you guys can shed some light on my situation Thank You Update I have ran Memtest for a pass and a half and received no errors I ve also attempted to do a system repair and sfc scannow https www dropbox com s pa zzruxo mk s sfcdetails txt nbsp

A:Login Issues, stuck Welcome screen, no password prompt

Memtest needs to be run for at least 8 passes to be any where near conclusive.

I can see in the Speccy report you only have 4GB or Ram and it is all in the same slot so it will only be running on a single channel, performance should improve if you put another matched RAM stick in the other channel so it will then run as dual channel.

The Speccy report also shows every voltage, including the CMOS battery, as being a long way off from what it should be. I do suspect this is a misreading as the system would be unlikely to run at all if these readings are correct. I would check the reported voltages in the bios and post them back here.

Finally the SFC scan results show a problem with the TVEncDec manifest which is corrupted. The best way to fix this is to run a Repair Install: Windows 7 Repair Install

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/login-issues-stuck-welcome-screen-no-password-prompt.1113958/
Relevancy 62.35%

My HP Pavilion laptop is brand stuck HP new screen is Pavilion laptop My on the login not completely frozen My My brand new HP Pavilion laptop is stuck on the login screen touchpad works as do some of the function keys like My brand new HP Pavilion laptop is stuck on the login screen mute and light darken screen plus the up arrow so I can see the background desktop lock screen with pretty picture time date and battery status nbsp The My brand new HP Pavilion laptop is stuck on the login screen problem is the Sign in and the power restart shut down hibernate etc option thing are darkened you know that thing the computer does when things are not available when features menu items are not current options It's like my laptop is stuck in shut down but won't actually shut down or restart And as a computer is shutting down you lose features and can't do much if anything with it This has happened a couple times before during updates Both times I unplugged it waited for the power to drain plugged it back in and it started as normal no problem No such luck this time nbsp I have heard of similar problems in support forums but most of that was upgrading from to so I doubt they can help me I have an HP Pavilion th Gen Intel Core i Processor with Windows Home GB memory Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/My-brand-new-HP-Pavilion-laptop-is-stuck-on-the-login-screen/td-p/5617883
Relevancy 62.35%

My HP Pavilion laptop is not laptop Pavilion the login My new on is stuck HP brand screen completely frozen My touchpad works as do some of the function keys like mute and light darken screen plus the up arrow so I can see the background desktop lock screen with pretty picture time date and battery status The problem is the quot Sign in quot and the power restart shut down hibernate etc option thing are quot darkened quot you know that thing the computer does when things are not available when features menu items are not current options It's like my laptop is stuck in shut down but won't actually shut down or restart And as a computer is shutting down you lose features and can't do much if anything with it This has happened a couple times before during updates Both times I unplugged it waited for the power to drain plugged it back in and it started as normal no problem No such luck this time I have heard of similar problems in support forums but most of that was upgrading from to so I doubt they can help me I have an HP Pavilion th Gen Intel Core i Processor with Windows Home GB memory Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:My brand new HP Pavilion laptop is stuck on the login screen

What is the actual model of you HP laptop? In the meantime.....try this......power off laptop, unplug AC power cord, then pull out the battery for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes.....connect the AC power cord and power on " WITH OUT" the battery , now power on and lets see what happens.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/my-brand-new-hp-pavilion-laptop-is-stuck-on-the-login-screen-1119425.html
Relevancy 62.35%

My HP Pavilion laptop is not completely frozen My touchpad works as do some of the function keys like laptop login screen on stuck HP new brand My Pavilion the is mute and light darken screen plus the up arrow so I can see the background desktop lock screen with pretty picture time date and battery status The problem is the quot Sign in quot and the power restart shut down hibernate etc option thing are quot darkened quot you know that thing the computer does when things are not available when features menu items are not current options It s like my laptop is stuck in shut down but won t actually shut down or restart And as a computer is shutting down you lose features and can t do much if anything with it This has happened a couple times before during updates Both times I unplugged it waited for the power to drain plugged it back in and it started as normal no problem No such luck this time I have heard of similar problems in support forums but most of that was upgrading from to so I doubt they can help me My brand new HP Pavilion laptop is stuck on the login screen I have an HP Pavilion th Gen Intel Core i Processor with Windows Home GB memory Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:My brand new HP Pavilion laptop is stuck on the login screen

holding down the power button for 20 seconds until it switched off worked. it just restarted like normal.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-brand-new-hp-pavilion-laptop-is-stuck-on-the-login-screen.1171219/
Relevancy 61.06%

My computer was turning off every time i tried to turn it on I ran my computer in safe mode and tried to restore to before the previous update The computer then attempted to reboot as a process of the system restore As it was Computer a with cursor Black a screen [SOLVED] white on before login? stuck gets turning back on the computer shut down again mid-process After some research i concluded that the problem was that my CPU was overheating I purchased thermal composite and applied it as instructed on the suppliers website I attempted to reboot my computer but after the [SOLVED] Computer gets stuck on a Black screen with a white cursor before login? green-bars loading screen the computer screen became black with the cursor in the middle of the screen I am sure this is due to the sudden shut down during the restoration process I have tried [SOLVED] Computer gets stuck on a Black screen with a white cursor before login? running my computer in safe mode but i get the same result After further research i tried the F advanced boot screen The quot Repair my Computer quot option is not available I built this computer a year ago I [SOLVED] Computer gets stuck on a Black screen with a white cursor before login? believe Windows is corrupted because at the start up loading screen with the small green bars the logo doesnt show on top Please help

A:[SOLVED] Computer gets stuck on a Black screen with a white cursor before login?

do you still have the Vista installation CD?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-computer-gets-stuck-on-a-black-screen-with-a-white-cursor-before-login-498177.html
Relevancy 58.48%

EDIT Should be aswRVRT sys Computer worked fine in the morning Then I turned it off later had windows update then when I came home in the afternoon to open my PC it just didnt work When I try to go to safe mode it just gets stuck at aswRVRT sys If it helps I already ran FRST Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST txt x Version - - Ran by SYSTEM on MININT-FK MU P on - - Running from K Windows Home Premium X OS Language English US Internet Explorer Version Boot Mode Recovery The current controlset is ControlSet ATTENTION gt If the system is bootable FRST could be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log Registry Whitelisted HKLM Run GamecomSound - C Program Files screen/ "starting stuck Boot menu on at Windows Windows" aswRVRT.exe stuck Plantronics GameCom Windows stuck on "starting Windows" screen/ Boot menu stuck at aswRVRT.exe GameCom exe - - HKLM Run AdobeAAMUpdater- - C Windows stuck on "starting Windows" screen/ Boot menu stuck at aswRVRT.exe Program Files x Common Files Adobe OOBE PDApp UWA updaterstartuputility exe - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKLM Run MSC - C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM Run MsmqIntCert - regsvr s mqrt dll HKLM Run Nvtmru - C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA Update Core NvTmru exe - - NVIDIA Corporation HKLM Run UMonit - C Windows SysWOW UMonit exe - - HKLM Run RTHDVCPL - C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe - - Realtek Semiconductor HKLM Run ShadowPlay - C windows system rundll exe C windows system nvspcap dll ShadowPlayOnSystemStart HKLM-x Run IAStorIcon - C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Rapid Storage Technology IAStorIcon exe - - Intel Corporation HKLM-x Run jmekey - C Program Files x jmesoft hotkey exe - - JME HKLM-x Run ModeSwitch - C Program Files Lenovo Power Dial LitModeSwitch exe - - Lenovo HKLM-x Run CLMLServer - C Program Files x Lenovo Power Go CLMLSvc exe - - CyberLink HKLM-x Run UpdateP GoShortCut - C Program Files x Lenovo Power Go MUITransfer MUIStartMenu exe - - CyberLink Corp HKLM-x Run IdeaNotesUser - C Program Files x DDNI Lenovo Idea Notes DDNIMSGUser exe - - Digital Delivery Networks Inc HKLM-x Run SetDefaultSCR - C Program Files x Lenovo Lenovo Screensaver SetDefaultSCR exe - - Lenovo HKLM-x Run avast - C Program Files AVAST Software Avast AvastUI exe - - AVAST Software HKLM-x Run APSDaemon - C Program Files x Common Files Apple Apple Application Support APSDaemon exe - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run iTunesHelper - C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run Adobe ARM - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKLM-x Run SwitchBoard - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe SwitchBoard SwitchBoard exe - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKLM-x Run AdobeCS ServiceManager - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe CS ServiceManager CS ServiceManager exe - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKLM-x Run KeePass PreLoad - C Program Files x KeePass Password Safe KeePass exe - - Dominik Reichl HKLM-x Run Aeria Ignite - C Program Files x Aeria Games Ignite aeriaignite exe - - Aeria Games amp Entertainment HKLM-x Run ROCCAT Savu Gaming Mouse - C Program Files x ROCCAT Savu Mouse Savu Monitor exe - - ROCCAT GmbH HKLM-x Run LogMeIn Hamachi Ui - C Program Files x LogMeIn Hamachi hamachi- -ui exe - - LogMeIn Inc HKLM-x Run BCSSync - C Program Files x Microsoft Office Office BCSSync exe - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM-x Run SunJavaUpdateSched - C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe - - Oracle Corporation HKLM-x Run kxesc - c program files x kingsoft kingsoft antiviruskxetray exe -autorun HKU Default RunOnce WLStart - C Program Files x Windows Live Installer wlstart exe - - Microsoft Corporation HKU Default User RunOnce WLStart - C Program Files x Windows Live Installer wlstart exe - - Microsoft Corporation HKU Krystal Run GoogleDriveSync - C Program Files x Google Drive googledrivesync exe - - Google HKU Krystal Run S... Read more

A:Windows stuck on "starting Windows" screen/ Boot menu stuck at aswRVRT.exe

Anyone please?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/512763/windows-stuck-on-starting-windows-screen-boot-menu-stuck-at-aswrvrtexe/
Relevancy 58.48%

hello guys,

well i have been trying to find out hwo to change the login background when you start up your computer and i am baffled on hwo this is done. Below is a screenshot of what im on about incase you dont get what i mean about changing the background

I would liek my desktop image i have as my wall paper as the login screen when the computer first starts up. below is a screenshot of my login screen as it is nwo

A:Changing Windows Login Background

Try this:

1) Start regedit, and navigate to:

HKEY USERS\ .DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

2) Double click the wallpaper value, and type the full path of your image and the filename.

3) To tile the image set "TileWallPaper" to 1

4) To Stretch the wallpaper set "WallPaperStyle" to 2

5) Close regedit and the changes will take place when you Log off.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-windows-login-background.560178/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have 3 user accounts set op on my computer that i use for different things. When i turn on the computer it comes to the lock screen and then i have to unlock it and then i have to click back before i am taken to the 3 accounts. I want to have it start up and i want there to be no lock screen or default account. I just want it to come to the 3 accounts so i can click on one.

A:Help changing the login style for windows 8.1

I think that this will happen if you shutdown your computer and then start that u will get 3 accounts to choose from. Shutdown is compulsory.
If you just sleep or lock the machine, it will by default open up the account of last account you were using. This is what i think.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/62900-help-changing-login-style-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Alright this is the case i've been strugling with Recently bought a new graphics card NVidia GTX windows run flawlessly before instaling it On my AMD radeon HD and -both worked fine after doing it windows booted up Windows Pro after login GPU wont 8 changing x64 until the loging screen normaly-only the resolution was lower- Problem Windows wont let me log in whatever i try it stucks at the login screen or it logs in showing a black screen where i can only see and move the mouse I Windows 8 x64 Pro wont login after changing GPU tried booting safe mode didnt Windows 8 x64 Pro wont login after changing GPU find any problems selecting to restore to a previous point solved the problem and was able to login normaly windows had installed the basic windows display driver However after restarting i was again unable to login Details I dual boot windows with ubuntu Windows 8 x64 Pro wont login after changing GPU Also read about disabling UEFI option i BIOS but it already was disabled Also i was once able to login not by restoring so i installed the nvidia driver and worked fine played different games far cry call of duty it was generaly working with no problems restarting the pc today the problem showed up again Would a format solve the problem Thanks in advance

A:Windows 8 x64 Pro wont login after changing GPU

Did you uninstall the Catalyst (AMD) drivers before changing graphics cards? Sounds like you did not, if you can boot into safe mode.

The usual procedure:

With the old graphics card in place, remove the drivers/control software.

Shut down rather than rebooting.

Swap card.

Start up. The generic Windows VGA drivers may be what installs to run the new card.

Install the new drivers.

Reboot.

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/18202-windows-8-x64-pro-wont-login-after-changing-gpu.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Because I like to have several computers, I bought another one off Craigslist. When I boot it up, though, I get a message at a Welcome screen that says "USER" and "After you log on you add or change accounts. Just go to Control Panel and Click User Accounts". When I click on the "USER" I keep getting the same message. It doesn't ever go to Windows. I don't have a log-in or password and I contacted the guy I bought the computer from, he's not replying to my e-mails. Is there some way to bypass this? Also, he didn't give me any CDs (e.g. Restore CD, etc.). I'm starting to worry that I got screwed out of this. He said there was nothing on the computer except Windows (hence no illegal software, etc.) but is the copy of Windows on this computer even legal then? I just bought the computer as-is ...

A:Can't get into Windows - stuck at Login

When buying a used computer, you should always go into the situation thinking you will reformat the drive.

Try booting into safe mode by pressing F8 as the PC starts, and try logging in with the Administrator account. If you get in, create a new user for yourself.

BMR777

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-get-into-windows-stuck-at-login-80204.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Around Thanksgiving my husbands computer picked up a face virus scan malware I have been fighting it off and on since then Thought I had Redirect/blue screen/wins-guard host file in it gone using Malwarebytes Anit-Malware but Redirect/blue screen/wins-guard in host file a redirect pop up issue started I found wins-guard com in the host file as well as several other wierd ones www minutedating com whysohardx com protectyourpc- com checkserverstatux com xinmin cn xy cn Redirect/blue screen/wins-guard in host file koralda com weirden com nanocloudcontroller com I removed all the references to wins-guard but the above continue to rewrite itself I am not getting any indication from Anti-Malware that anything is infected When I try to Redirect/blue screen/wins-guard in host file follow the steps to prepare for removal the computer quot loses connection quot from the satelite and will not allow me to go to the defogger site or any others I did accomplish loading Hijack this after minutes of fighting the redirect This is the log that I have received Sometimes it will go to a blue screen that says it needs to physical dump This is fairly random but at least out of reboots Thank you for any help given Synfulrocker Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows RtHDVCpl exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Windows WindowsMobile wmdcBase exe C Program Files HughesNetTools McciTrayApp SSR exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast AvastUI exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files NETGEAR WNA WNA exe C Program Files HughesNetStatusMeter HughesNetStatusMeter HughesNetStatusMeter exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows System mobsync exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ytbb exe C Program Files Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId amp homepage http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Internet Explorer provided by Dell R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - Hosts localhost O - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Skype add-on mastermind - BF B-C D - d - A -A F BA C - C Program Files Skype Toolbars Internet Explorer SkypeIEPlugin dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C ProgramData Real RealPlayer BrowserRecordPlugin IE rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - no file O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft S... Read more

A:Redirect/blue screen/wins-guard in host file

Hello and Welcome to the forums! My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. Somethings to remember while we are working together.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!Please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.Do not run anything while running a fix.We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.Click on the Watch Topic Button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.In order for me to see the status of the infection I will need a new set of logs to start with.Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.DeFogger: Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OKDeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OKDo not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.Download DDS:Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:
Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
Link2
Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.Shortly after two logs will appear:
DDS.txt Attach.txtA window will open instructing you save & post the logsSave the logs to a convenient place such as your desktopCopy the contents of both logs & post in your next replyScan With RKUnHookerPlease Download Rootkit Unhooker Save it to your desktop.Now double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.Click the Report tab, then click Scan.Check (Tick) Drivers, Stealth,. Uncheck the rest. then Click OK.Wait till the scanner has finished and then click File, Save Report.Save the report somewhere where you can find it. Click Close.Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.Note** you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?""just click on Cancel, then Accept".information and logs:In your next post I need the following

.logs from DDSlog from RKUnHookerlet me know of any problems you may have hadGringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/375955/redirectblue-screenwins-guard-in-host-file/
Relevancy 58.05%

After a power outage weeks ago I was having issues with the system going down at around minutes and then less and less time after that I was told it was a display issue Stuck classpnp.sys on stuck screen, safe Windows splash on mode and to uninstall and reinstall my display drivers I uninstalled my drivers and it was still the same I felt like it was temperature related I found my graphics card Radeon was dirty I cleaned it and thought I was back in business Everything was back to normal all I needed to do was update my graphics drivers Once that was done my computer would no longer load past the Windows splash screen I used Puppy Linux on a flash drive and I have access to everything I can use the internet and access all my files This to me says that it is not a hardware issue The fact that when I try to go into safe mode it gets stuck for more than a day on classpnp sys when I finally give up I understand that classpnp sys has Stuck on Windows splash screen, safe mode stuck on classpnp.sys loaded but there Stuck on Windows splash screen, safe mode stuck on classpnp.sys is something after that that the computer can't load I have Stuck on Windows splash screen, safe mode stuck on classpnp.sys seen some people have atipcie sys load after classpnp sys and it makes sense to me that it would be a graphics driver that is causing the issue I need my Windows up and running for school and work projects Any ideas thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated

A:Stuck on Windows splash screen, safe mode stuck on classpnp.sys

Hi ,
Follow this tutorial to run SFC /Scannow at boot.
SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot
If you want to run the command from a USB drive follow this tutorial.
Boot Windows 7 System Repair Disc from USB Using Grub4Dos
And apply it to the first link instead of the ERD (Emergency Repair CD).

Generally a good tutorial to read.
Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303393-stuck-windows-splash-screen-safe-mode-stuck-classpnp-sys.html
Relevancy 58.05%

This has never happened before. When I turn on the computer, the two accounts show up (both administrator) but whenever I click either of them, the screen just shows the Windows 7 login screen for a while without any text then sends me back to the account selection. This happens when I select either of the accounts, one of them also has a password but that doesn't show up either.

PLEASE HELP.
(also don't know a lot about computers ;-; )

EDIT : When I turned on the computer, it went through updates where it says Starting Windows with the Windows logo. Maybe this helps.

A:Can't login to Windows 7. Sends me back to login screen every time.

Same thing happened to me since the update yesterday.

( just to clarify Is this the same problem ? I posted a video Windows Error - YouTube )

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385612-cant-login-windows-7-sends-me-back-login-screen-every-time.html
Relevancy 58.05%

After a user enters password on ccomputer, It never loads the desktop. It gets stuck. Not freezing but just a long load. It never loads the desktop. What should I do?

A:Windows 2000 stuck after login

Do other accounts login ok?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-stuck-after-login.334805/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi I'm new here I created this account for help because my mother's password seems changed and she couldn't login the keyboard wasn't sticky so she didn't mistype caps lock wasn't on I typed it my self and it didn't work restarted the computer and it didn't Cannot login repair. to can't screen and system Windows login work neither I then go to thinking it was hacked and the password was simply changed Cannot login to Windows login screen and can't system repair. I go looking around for password changing boots for my flashdrive I burned PASSCAPE on to my gig - flashdrive Tried booting on all settings booted normally didn't work So I ignored it for a while and kept clicking quot Reset password quot button It showed up as quot Passcape quot but claimed the usb slot was empy wasn't the slot is quot F quot I gave up hope on it so I found this youtube video to reset it the manual labor way-here's the link to it quot https www youtube com watch v DLtJ-iDdWC quot So continuing on I was simply following the video's instructions so at step one at duration quot quot I have to cause a error I just keep shutting-down the pc while it's booting because windows will assume it's an error after - times of doing so Okay by the time I get to quot Repair your computer quot button I press enter And the shocking surprise I get which is odd is this in quotes quot Windows Boot Manager Windows has failed to start A recent hardware or software change might be the cause To fix the problem Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer Choose your language settings and then click quot Next quot Click quot Repair your computer quot If you do not have this disc contact your administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance Status xc f Info A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed quot I can't manually reset the password at all can't login can't boot the flashdrives or CD's on this laptop Me and my mother think it was hacked but don't know why or how Oh-also I forgot to mention I changed a few bios-settings on the usb slots because the instructions for the Password reset tool said I needed to change quot your bios-settings then save changes and reset your computer quot After knowing they wouldn't work went back to BIOS and reset settings back to default-saved and reset Then went for the URL link above I'd love to get this problem fixed immediatly I don't have a quot Windows installation disc quot but hopefully I won't need one My mother's PC specs that I know of are Model name Insperion - Manufacturer Dell Type Laptop Proccessors Graphics Proccessing Unit Intel core I Year I really hope this can help me thanks everyone here on this community

A:Cannot login to Windows login screen and can't system repair.

NEWS FLASH: I just learned something new about the password problem, my mother never told me exactly what the problem is but I've been typing it wrong the entire time, typed it in and this in quotes is my discovery:

" The User Profile Service service failed the logon.
User profile cannot be loaded. "

She never told me exactly what was the problem everyone, all she said is "Did you change the password" (waking me up at 8AM) then "The password is changed and I can't get on!" What is this problem we are experiencing-i've never seen this before.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/380137-cannot-login-windows-login-screen-cant-system-repair.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello I think my friends son downloaded something on his computer I am using a clean computer to contact Login @ INFECTED; Can't Freezes Windows; Login Screen to you we can get to windows login screen press our Icon windows login name and it just freezes sometimes it will login but it will have the hour glass for like min and then automatically restarts the computer I can login to safe mode It is a desktop runnin winxp Really that is all the info I have Please Please Help Here are my logs I had to do them in safe mode INFECTED; Can't Login to Windows; Freezes @ Login Screen DDS Ver - - - NTFSx NETWORK Internet Explorer Run by Administrator at on - - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - AV avast Antivirus Enabled Updated DB INFECTED; Can't Login to Windows; Freezes @ Login Screen - F - A -B - A FD D Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe Pseudo HJT Report mSearch Bar hxxp ie redirect INFECTED; Can't Login to Windows; Freezes @ Login Screen hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iesearch amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf desktop BHO A -D B - E -A C - F C EF DA - No File BHO D -C F - efb- B - ECA - No File BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO avast WebRep e e -ad d- bf-ac d-d f d - c program files avast software avast aswWebRepIE dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - c program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll TB avast WebRep e e -ad d- bf-ac d-d f d - c program files avast software avast aswWebRepIE dll TB B E - D D- DEB- B - D BCF F - No File uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe mRun hpsysdrv c windows system hpsysdrv exe mRun High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut HDAudPropShortcut exe mRun HotKeysCmds c windows system hkcmd exe mRun ISUSPM Startup c progra common instal update ISUSPM exe -startup mRun ISUSScheduler quot c program files common files installshield updateservice issch exe quot -start mRun SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE mRun AlcWzrd ALCWZRD EXE mRun Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE mRun avast quot c program files avast software avast avastUI exe quot nogui mRun KernelFaultCheck systemroot system dumprep -k IE E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - c progra mi office EXCEL EXE IE e e dd -d - - b -f ba - windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe IE FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - c program files messenger msmsgs exe IE B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - FF E -CC A- E E-BF B- E D - c progra mi office REFIEBAR DLL DPF B BCA- F C- CF- - - hxxp download macromedia com pub shockwave cabs director sw cab DPF - f - bb - d -fa d f a ab - c program files yahoo common Yinsthelper dll DPF AD C - E- D -B E - F D - hxxp java sun com update jinstall- -windows-i cab DPF B -D BA- EA- F E- A AB AC - hxxp panda-plugin disney go com plugin win p dactivex cab DPF CAFEEFAC- - - -ABCDEFFEDCBA - hxxp java sun com products plugin autodl jinstall- -windows-i cab DPF CAFEEFAC- - - -ABCDEFFEDCBA - hxxp java sun com update jinstall- -windows-i cab DPF CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA - hxxp java sun com update jinstall- -windows-i cab DPF D CDB E-AE D- CF- B - - hxxp fpdownload macromedia com pub shockwave cabs flash swflash cab DPF E E F- F- FB - -AC BF A - hxxp platformdl adobe com NOS getPlusPlus gp cab TCP DhcpNameServer TCP Interfaces B F B- - FB - D B- E B E DhcpNameServer Notify igfxcui - igfxsrvc dll FIREFOX FF - ProfilePath - SERVICES DRIVERS S aswSnx aswSnx c windows system drivers aswSnx sys - - S aswSP aswSP c windows system drivers aswSP sys - - S aswFsBlk aswFsBlk c windows system drivers aswFsBlk sys - - S avast Antivirus avast Antivirus c program files avast software avast AvastSvc exe - - S gupdate Google Update Service gupdate c program files google update GoogleUpdate exe - - S gupda... Read more

A:INFECTED; Can't Login to Windows; Freezes @ Login Screen

Hi,Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

Please reply to this post so I know you are there.The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/446817/infected;-cant-login-to-windows;-freezes-login-screen/
Relevancy 57.19%

Any way to prevent Windows 10 from changing from Local Account Login to Microsoft account login? I go through the process of changing my login to Local and a few days later Windows 10 says it updated files and the next time I start to login the system has been reset to Microsoft login and after logging in when I go to reset it to Local login it won't let me choose the same User Name. Is there anyway to prevent this other than installing Linux?

Thanks
Mel

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53107-any-way-prevent-windows-10-changing-local-account-login.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Ok so today o decided to uninstall alienware my at 64-bit stuck login (problem) 7 ultimate windows colors or something like that Downloaded it from dell website Its for windows the name of was breed So after i uninstalled it my icons arrows were gone it was the app icon and the arrow that goes with it windows 7 ultimate 64-bit stuck at login (problem) was like a page and two blue dots I couldnt acess any folders no control panel It was all blabk Desktop appeard fine except for the arrows were missing on tje icons It asked me to restart so i did it went pass the windows 7 ultimate 64-bit stuck at login (problem) windows logo loading screen Then came the welcome screen it windows 7 ultimate 64-bit stuck at login (problem) prompted please wait with the circle Problem was after that No login or anything No password on my account so it should have loged in It doesnt hang or anything It just stays on that screen Only options i have it restart sleep and shutdown aling with that button for speech keyboard and someother things I tried safe mode no luck same thing doesnt log in Tried restore to previous known state Nothing I cant acess repair option as i have no windows -bit cd Only -bit cd Also it doesnt show my account Mb-asus p g t-mlx Cpu-intel pentium d ghz oc ghz graphics-xfx radeon hd gddr oc psu-corsair gs Cooling-corsair h Memory-corsair ddr gb sticks Hard drive-cavair gb hardrive

A:windows 7 ultimate 64-bit stuck at login (problem)

If you are able to boot the system far enough to get into the BIOS, you can try a Factory Restore and which will be under the "Repair your Computer" (or similarly worded) option. Be warned however that you will lose all programs and personal files as this reformats the HDD and reinstalls the OS, so your system will be exactly how it was when you first got it. A Factory Restore is the OEM system's equivalent to a Clean Install off of a retail OS disk. Also, I am fairly certain at this point that the Factory Restore will be your only option seeing as you can't get into the actual OS and have no recovery disks, and that is providing if you can access the BIOS at all and also whether or not whatever happened hasn't affected the OEM recovery partition on your primary hard drive. And if that's the case, you will have to contact Dell and have them send you a recovery disk of the OS and Drivers to do it that way (and they will most likely charge you for them).

So, look up Dell's special keys to get into the BIOS and when it prompts you to hit those keys, do it and then navigate through the BIOS until you find the "Repair your Computer" (or similarly worded option), then chose the one that says "Factory Restore" (or similar option) and let it do it's thing. Odds are this will do the trick for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192659-windows-7-ultimate-64-bit-stuck-login-problem.html
Relevancy 57.19%

OK so the problem started when I was playing a game and it crashed on a loading screen I then could only boot into windows extremely slowly so I knew something was wrong Since then I have booted into safe mode and done a virus check and it found nothing I had then done a start up repair multiple times and for one reason or another the system would then reboot just as the login screen is loading I have recently de fragmented the drive externally and run a slow disk check which found nothing I've launched start up repair again which says it's unable to fix the problem and I can't boot into safe mode because it'll reboot I on stuck loop login just before 7 reboot Windows should also mention I was having problems with Windows 7 stuck on reboot loop just before login the drive a few weeks ago where I was getting different error messages Windows 7 stuck on reboot loop just before login before Windows 7 stuck on reboot loop just before login booting but I managed to sort that out If a solution can't be found it would be safe to say the drive is failing Here is the bsod when I disabled automatic rebooting along with the startup repair error STOP c e Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error A device attached to the system is not functioning presumably the hard drive Error Status xc Please click ok to shutdown this system and reboot into safe mode check the event log for more detailed information Problem event name startuprepairoffline problem event signature problem event signature problem event signature unknown problem event signature problem event signature autofailover problem event signature problem event signature corruptvolume specs intel dual core msi p neo mobo tb samsung HD gb ram XFX GTS Any help would be seriously appreciated

A:Windows 7 stuck on reboot loop just before login

hi there
can you get into windows to do a disk check ? please read brinks tutorial How to Run Disk Check in Windows 7 >>> Disk Check

another check to do is System File Checker tutorial How to Repair Windows 7 System Files with System File Checker >>> SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/177124-windows-7-stuck-reboot-loop-just-before-login.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Everytime I start my computer it goes into startup repair searching for problems. I tried going to F8 into safe mode but it goes bac to searching for problems in statup repair. Is there any way I can bypass it from going to startup repair page and go into windows. Please help thanks.

A:Stuck on Startup Repair before login to Windows

Does it boot into Windows after the Startup repair has run?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stuck-on-startup-repair-before-login-to-windows.1038395/
Relevancy 56.33%

hi guys,

i've got a very strange problem with the kids laptop which i'm desperate to sort out as my kid has her exams coming up and needs access to her apps.

Windows loads okay, upto the point when i get to the welcome screen.

Sometimes it gets to the welcome screen, but the user profile icons will never show but then sometimes the icons will show, but when i click on the icon, i can't get to the bit where i can type a password.

If i reboot into safemode, then i can perfectly access everything as normal.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks!

A:Windows 7 login/welcome screen corrupt??? - Cannot login

Could be application or services causing conflicts. Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/224475-windows-7-login-welcome-screen-corrupt-cannot-login.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I'm using Windows 7 Pro. I have remove the login pw in my user account now I do not need to do the login and able to use the computer right away. But I found I am using the computer as a user not administrator. How can I skip the login screen and go straight into desktop as administrator. How can I do that? thanks

A:Windows 7 Pro login as admin but no need to have login screen

Hello Smash, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I'm a bit confused with your conflicting statements.

You say that "...now I do not need to do the login and able to use the computer right away.", but then ask "How can I skip the login screen and go straight into desktop..."?

Just to be certain, do you have to log on or not?Log On Automatically at Startup
Are you asking how to log on to the built-in Administrator account to have full access and control?

Hope this may help for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/224172-windows-7-pro-login-admin-but-no-need-have-login-screen.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have an RDP Server on a windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and i would like to be able to use another system login screen to connect to this server. As in when i turn of display last local users, so that if i was to enter XXX into the username and XXX into the password and it will connect Although i wouldnt mind being able to set up roaming profiles between these systems either.

Any answers

A:Can I Login to An RDP Session From My Windows Login Screen

Quote: Originally Posted by TheCJGCJG

I have an RDP Server on a windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and i would like to be able to use another system login screen to connect to this server. As in when i turn of display last local users, so that if i was to enter XXX into the username and XXX into the password and it will connect Although i wouldnt mind being able to set up roaming profiles between these systems either.

Any answers

Welcome CJGCJG to the windows 7 forums.

Remote Desktop Program is as it says a program on your computer that will allow you full screen remote to another system that authorizes you. There is a way to automatically bring the RDP program up for you to log into another system but it requires that your primary windows system (the one your want to connect from) be set up to automatically boot into you Operating system, putting the RDP program in your startup fold will bring it up.
Using netplwiz, you can set your userid to automatically log in to your local machine and then the RDP would run and you can then log onto your remote system. In fact y ou can save all the credentials for your RDP session and it will automatically login to your remote system.

Is this clear?

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/199461-can-i-login-rdp-session-my-windows-login-screen.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I was trying to enter a new host file on one of our remote user?s laptop and when I went to open the file it showed a bunch of Chinese symbols and wouldn?t let me do anything with it? I tried deleting it and then tried to build a new host file from scratch and the same thing happened??? I?ve never seen this before. Any suggestions?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/69979-host-file-has-strange-characters-i-cant-add-host-entry.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi all, just joined, so hope I'm in the right area When editting the Windows Host File to block web sites, does editting this file affect EVERY user on the system? I'm running Windows 7 Ulimate with 2 users. Me, being Administrator. Thank you.

A:Windows 7 Host File

Quote: Originally Posted by scorpion09

Hi all, just joined, so hope I'm in the right area When editting the Windows Host File to block web sites, does editting this file affect EVERY user on the system? I'm running Windows 7 Ulimate with 2 users. Me, being Administrator. Thank you.

It should.. If it is located in the correct directory it is global.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/86701-windows-7-host-file.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello friends, I recently got the Gnome desktop environment on the Ubuntu Software Center, and I used the gdm and startx command as said by another forum site. Nothing wrong, they said to logout, tried to login again, goes to a black screen and sends me back to the Ubuntu login screen. Tried again, same result, panicked. Looked up video tutorial on how to fix it, they said to access the control panel via ctrl-alt-f1 or f2, went to a black screen, no text at all, computer runs fine, no crashing. Is there a special way to access the terminal in a System76 computer, I really don't know very confusing? Is there a way to login with the guest session? I use Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf on my laptop. What causes this, I read on Ubuntu forums it's driver issues with Ubuntu and Nvidia, but I have my suspections with the Gnome desktop environment.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/ubuntu-login-black-screen-then-login-screen-loop-for-a-system76-oryx-pro-laptop.55688/
Relevancy 54.61%

So here's my problem I hibernated my PC and when i turn it on it say windows can't start or system passing checking c: file after screen Stuck black became something so I restart it When the PC turn back on i found myself with options launch startup repair or start normally This thing happens a lot so i choose start windows as usual Suddenly it says checking file system c I let it be for about min it says that windows having a problem cause of recent app So i let it be for minutes and suddenly it shows black screen with cursor like how it supposed to be before log in to windows I though i had to wait so i wait but nothing happen I tried every solution i found online like press windows button and type cmd or r press ctrl alt del and trying safe mode None of those worked I don't want to re install the windows cause i don't have the installation cd Btw i tried to press on anything so that the check Stuck after passing checking file system c: screen became black got cancelled but it returns to the black screen without entering login screen Help please

A:Stuck after passing checking file system c: screen became black

Hi Matsu5003,

Welcome onboard.

I think you did not get any response mainly because your problem description could not be understood.

Press the Power button on your Desktop (?) for more than 5 seconds to shut down your PC.

Remove it from the Mains Supply and leave it for half an hour to dissipate all charges in it.

Now connect it to the mains and switch on your PC.

Describe exactly what happens after the BIOS run.

If you get an error message carefully note it down and post.

The knowledgeable folks here ( not me ) may then perhaps be able to help you on that cue/clue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/379051-stuck-after-passing-checking-file-system-c-screen-became-black.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,
I am using windows 7 professional. I can't change the host file even with the administrator user or any other user that has been given the administrator privileges which i could do easily in win xp. Any suggestions can help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Asad

A:Can't modify host file in windows 7

Hi asadrasel, welcome to 7F!

Any error messages or warnings?

Have you been following the steps taken in this tutorial?
Hosts File : Use in Windows 7 / Vista, especially the first step Open Notepad, Run as Administrator?

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/209308-cant-modify-host-file-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 54.18%

If I want to block all the ip address in a block that a place SP2-HOST file WINDOWS question XP is using can I do that like putting this in my host files - If that is a place WINDOWS XP SP2-HOST file question I want to block and it says they are using from the - to the other one will that work putting it into the host files that way What I am trying to do is my friend wants to block chat from his computer cause he is afraid his daughters are getting into stuff they shouldn t and wants it blocked I had it blocked in the restricted sites but they found it and are now able to get back on it here is what I was going to put into their host files block myspace com - block yahoomessenger com - block msnmessenger com block aolmessenger com - block aimmessenger com - block icqmessenger com - I got the ips from a trace program and it said that the blocks are there servers or I think thats what they meant will this work in there host files nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-sp2-host-file-question.548897/
Relevancy 54.18%

Windows 8 Changes Host File Blocking - Slashdot

The change does seem to be how Windows Defender works. Following the link to the main article on there explains that disabling Windows Defender will stop this behaviour.

A:Windows 8 Changes Host File Blocking

Thank you for this! Just disabled the Windows Defender service.

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/8498-windows-8-changes-host-file-blocking.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi All,Please help me how to edit host file in windows 10.I have try to crate notepad as administrator, but when replace original host file it failedThanks before

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,157963.0.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have windows 7 pro 64 bit. I need to open C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host file. What kind of file is it? what does it control? How do I open it and add the line "127.0.0.1 www.micronichefinder.com" to it and save it?

Relevancy 53.75%

I downloaded an updated hosts file for vista and I had to run "mvps.bat" file to update, backup, and overwrite the original. It has been updated already, but stupidly I downloaded it again and replaced the current one and it deleted the original backup. Is there anyway to recover it? How important is the original and what entries were in it? Thanks

A:deleted orginal windows host file

Hi -

This is the content of the default HOSTS file -

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
Copy/ paste it into a Notepad; save it to your Documents folder using the filename hosts.txt

To replace the HOSTS file with the default -
START | type cmd.exe | RIGHT-click on cmd.exe | select "Run as Administrator" | paste the followng command into the CMD/DOS screen -

Code:
copy "%userprofile%\documents\hosts.txt" %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
To verify the contents of the HOSTS file -

Code:
type %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS > 0 & start notepad 0
A Notepad will open with the contents of the HOSTS file.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/deleted-orginal-windows-host-file-523083.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro spyware scanner detects spyware signatures in Windows Host file Here's my HJT log Logfile Spyware Host Help! File Signatures Windows Contains of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system csrss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files TuneUp Utilities WinStylerThemeSvc exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exeC Program Files Common Help! Windows Host File Contains Spyware Signatures Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC Program Files Norton Internet Security ISSVC exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS System alg exeC WINDOWS system cisvc exeC WINDOWS system HPConfig exeC Program Files HPQ Notebook Utilities HPWirelessMgr exeC WINDOWS system inetsrv inetinfo exeC Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exeC WINDOWS system wdfmgr exeC WINDOWS system UAService exeC WINDOWS system wbem wmiapsrv exeC Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exeC Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exeC PROGRA HPQ ONE-TO OneTouch EXEC Program Files D-Tools daemon exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exeC WINDOWS system cidaemon exeC WINDOWS system cidaemon exeC PROGRA MOZILL FIREFOX EXEC Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate LUALL EXEC PROGRA Symantec LIVEUP LUCOMS EXEC Documents and Settings compaq My Documents stng exeC Documents and Settings compaq My Documents My Files My recieved files HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant about blankR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default about blankR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO Norton Internet Security - ECB - F - bbc- D- DDF E - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dllO - BHO AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dllO - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar Norton Internet Security - B EAC - D - b e- B -A C A A - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dllO - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exeO - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exeO - HKLM Run QT HPOT C PROGRA HPQ ONE-TO OneTouch EXEO - HKLM Run Display Settings C Program Files HPQ Notebook Utilities hptasks exe sO - HKLM Run MOD C Program Files Microangelo muamgr exeO - HKLM Run srmclean C Cpqs Scom srmclean exeO - HKLM Run DAEMON Tools- quot C Program Files D-Tools daemon exe quot -lang O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe ConsumerO - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exeO - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS s... Read more

A:Help! Windows Host File Contains Spyware Signatures

Hello,* Start HijackThis, close all open windows leaving only HijackThis running. Place a check against each of the following:R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blankR1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = about:blankR0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present* Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.Make sure your Internet Explorer is closed when you click Fix Checked!Concerning your hosts file, yes most probably there are 'spyware' entries in there, but you don't really have to worry about that. A lot of scanners put those 'spyware entries' in it to PREVENT it. So you can't get to those sites.Read here for more info on how to block unwanted Parasites with a Hostsfile:http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/46447/help-windows-host-file-contains-spyware-signatures/
Relevancy 53.32%

So i've owned my computer a dell XPS L502x with a i7 intel core for more than a year now and this week my computer decided it wouldn't boot anymore, I can't even start it in Safe mode or last known good. It loads the beginning part but it started bringing up this "windows is loading files" bar which wasn't there before, then it will get stuck in the login screen with no option to login but i can move the mouse around. Is there anything I can do?

A:W7 stuck in login with no login option

Doesn't pressing the F8 key give you a screen the mentions "Repair your computer"? I would try that.

If you have any kind of bootable Windows media (such as a WinXP Installation disk), boot to Recovery Console and at the DOS prompt type "chkdsk /r". It's possible HD errors are preventing the boot to complete, and running chkdsk may fix those errors.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/w7-stuck-in-login-with-no-login-option-673527.html
Relevancy 52.89%

How do I reset the hosts file back to the default&#63;

A:Heres How To Set Windows 7 Host File Back To Default

Could also just open the file and clear it out

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/133638-heres-how-set-windows-7-host-file-back-default.html
Relevancy 52.89%

My system is Dell Studio XPS L502 i7, its about 3years old

Just now .. I noticed contents of windows host file is somehow auto removed, they were there like 5minutes ago and then .. its empty, other than the localhost .. also the default hosts page texts from Microsoft isn't there.

How/why did this happen? Should I be concerned?

On a 2nd note within last 48hours, I just installed only 1 software, its this MMO: http://playragnarok2.com/ , and this happened right after installing this game, could this be related somehow?

A:windows 7 host file contents auto deleted!

reset the Hosts file back to the default
Hope this helps!!!!!!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/366540-windows-7-host-file-contents-auto-deleted.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi everyone i am using windows on Windows\System32\drivers\etc edit file how - do i my host in my HP laptop I am trying to edit my host file This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP IP for Windows The location of the file is C Windows System drivers etc The systems on my how do i edit my host file in Windows\System32\drivers\etc - laptop seem to be incorrectly configured to prevent me from editing how do i edit my host file in Windows\System32\drivers\etc - this file i opened the host file doc with notepad and then tried to edit it and save the file However each time i tried to edit the file my system gave me the following message You don't have permission to save in this location Contact the administrator to obtain permission Would you like to save in the My Documents folder instead this has to be incorrect - as i entered notepad as a system administrator So i don't know why its giving this message is there anywhere where i can go on the system to reconfigure windows to allow me to edit this folder or to grant permission to the system administrator to edit the folder warm regards Andreea

A:how do i edit my host file in Windows\System32\drivers\etc -

you need to turn off UAC first.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

remember to turn it back on if that is your preference

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/292817-how-do-i-edit-my-host-file-windows-system32-drivers-etc.html