Windows Support Forum

Odd placement of charms bar

Q: Odd placement of charms bar

My charms bar seems a bit off center, is that normal?

I feel sure that it should be in the center of the screen...right?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Odd placement of charms bar

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Odd placement of charms bar

Regarding it being centred that is how it should be. If you bring the charms in by putting your cursor top right corner you will notice the icons are nearer the top of the screen and if you do it by placing the cursor bottom right the icons are nearer the bottom of the screen.

I don't know why you can see your wallpaper to the right of the charms bar though.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/33340-odd-placement-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 44.29%
Q: charms

this is the 5th time I've had the charms not showing up forcing me to shut down then computer buy using the button in the front of the thing. what do I do to fix this so if the same thing happens again, the charms do come up.

A:charms

Hello commander,

Is it just charms not opening, or Windows freezing up for why you have to do a hard shut down with the computer case power button?

Are you able to use any of the other options in the tutorial below to open charms?

Charms Bar - Open in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/48401-charms.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi evryone,
looks like yet another problem today.
the prob is that when i point my mouse towards the top right corner the charms bar doesn't show up!!!
but it shows up when navigated to the lower right corner or windows + c.
waiting for solution asap!

Thank You IN Advance,
Vardhan

A:Regarding the charms bar

How about if you bring it down slightly? Does it slide out then?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/48456-regarding-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I've been looking at some instructions for the Windows 8 beta and it keeps mentioning the Charms Bar

Can anyone tell me what this is?
Also I believe there is no Start button so how will you switch off your computer?

All help much aprreciated

Relevancy 44.29%

how do I get the charms to show up when it don't want to. the same go's for the toolbar. and the taskbar
or both.

A:the charms

If this is happening in your browser, you may have hit the F11 key by error which gives a full screen. Hit it again and everything should return to normal.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/57386-charms.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Ok, I know that the charms bar is there. I know how to access it.

What causes me issues, is that i ALWAYS FORGET that the charms bar is context sensitive to the application that is running.

I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to add my Google Gmail calendar to the Windows calendar app. Problem was, I couldn't figure out how to add the gmail account. I kept reading that you go into Settings and add it, but I kept going into settings from the Start Screen, and NOT from within the calendar app.

Even after all this time of using Windows 8, and I'm still getting tripped up by these simple things.
Anybody else having senior moments like this, or is this all me?

BTW: My neighbor at work hates hearing me say Charms bar. Drives him nuts.

A:Cannot get used to the Charms bar

I always call it the fairy wand. I don't mind it too much now they have managed to get it under control.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/8595-cannot-get-used-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi I charms bar. of Please to the Trying help. get rid have a new acer inspire that has windows on it It has been driving my insane and making me very stressed just trying to fit windows to work on a PC platform I've considered returning it but I am in need of a computer for my studies and I Please help. Trying to get rid of the charms bar. don't Please help. Trying to get rid of the charms bar. know if I will get Please help. Trying to get rid of the charms bar. a full refund I have read this Can You Disable The Charm Bar I also have installed Classic Shell which is great I just cannot stop the quot charms bar quot from appearing when I accidentally touch the touch clickpad from right to left which happens all the time when I use the clickpad for scrolling-I hope you can imagine the extreme annoyance this has caused Here is an image of my clickpad software-it is Synaptics and it doesn't seem to have the options that some others do to disable things like gestures I have toyed and experimented with it for hours I've also tried upgrading to windows but that gives me a quot power state failure quot and says windows failed to install this is a day old laptop I don't know what to do If I can at least find a way to stop this quot charm bar quot from appearing I can deal with this computer and get back to my life thanks for your help

A:Please help. Trying to get rid of the charms bar.

Hello Theridon, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Do you have the latest 17.0.19 Synaptics driver installed? If not, it may add it for you.

Touchpad Edge Swipes - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/44656-please-help-trying-get-rid-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 43.86%

IDK what I did, but when I hover over my bottom right corner, I'm not getting the Settings charm that slides out from the right anymore... and when I click, the screen just blinks? Also, when I hover over the bottom left corner, I don't get the Start charm popping out, but when I click it does take me to the Start screen. From the Start screen though, when I click Desktop, it doesn't take me to the desktop. It pops up a bar giving the the options to Unpin from Start, and Smaller (to decrease the size of the icon on the start page).

Any idea what I did or how to get it back to normal? even restarting didn't fix it...

A:Lost Charms?

You can try these steps posted on the Microsoft forum.

Edit: If that doesn't work then let me know and we will try something else.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/lost-charms-647393.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Don't have a clue what my son did to his computer have no charms bar and went into pc settings and all settings are correct. also when using windows 8 apps no way to close out of them unless you end process in task manager.

and he had fb downloader in his computer got rid of it but if I try to re install firefox it must be in the registry because it keeps coming back if I delete all the profiles and settings and reinstall firefox.

A:Charms Bar and other issue

You most likely have an infected computer infected with a program that protects browser settings.

please go to firefox > addons > extensions & remove any suspicious entries (toolbars, things that you have not installed intentionally, don't know what purpose they serve, etc). also go to the windows control panel uninstall all the stuff installed in the last days you are not 100% certain of and remove all toolbars or potentially unwanted software from there and do a full scan of your system with the security software that you have in place and the free version of malwarebytes & adwcleaner.
Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page
After all of the above, reset firefox.

Let me know how it goes and we will take it from there.

Thanks,
~K

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/534936/charms-bar-and-other-issue/
Relevancy 43.86%

Bought a new ASUS with Windows The computer is awsome Windows however is puke that Charms nightmare bar got stepped on repeteadly My biggest issue right now When ever I move to the right of the touchpad Charms bar nightmare in any program the charms bar pops up freezing screen function until I put it away So far I have deactivated the upper right ouch settings in addition to installing Winero Charms bar killer I even went in and Charms bar nightmare modified the mouse reponce progarming still Nothing is working It keeps coming up I have no idea why the charms bar killer isnt doing it since others claim it does In my honest opinion I hope there is a class action lawsuit against Windows because is so poorly thought out its as though it was done intetionally to push people away from Microsoft If I could I would return my laptop but I cant and downloading Charms bar nightmare windows XP or that worked stellar for me would mean loosing all my video drivers as well as gigbaits of CAD and PDF would need to be uploaded all over again I rigged it with star doc which helps but its still medicocre For now Im loosing my hair over the charms bar Any ideas

A:Charms bar nightmare

Try this...

1.  From the Start Screen, type Control Panel and click on Control Panel in the suggested results.

2.  In the Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound.

3.  Next, click on Mouse.

4.  In the Mouse Properties window, select the Device Settings tab then click on the Settings button.

5.  In the Synaptics Control Panel, untick the box next to "Enable Edge Swipes" then click the OK button.

Check and see if swiping in from the right edge of the touchpad still brings up the Charms Bar.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545288/charms-bar-nightmare/
Relevancy 43.86%

Although it doesn't seem to have cropped up in this Forum, I know that there are many Win 8.1 users out there who are very frustrated by the Charms Bar which invades their screen uninvited. This seems to be a problem for those using laptops with touch pads.
By pure fluke, I seem to have found a solution, at least for my Lenovo:

Show hidden icons.
Double click on the one that looks like a touch pad (ELAN Pointing device)
Select edge swipe.
Deselect

I hope this helps someone.

A:Invasive Charms Bar

It has cropped up many times. You may also want to consider turning off the one finger scrolling as well - that helped on my Lenovo also

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/44599-invasive-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Does anyone know how to permanently disable the stupid charms bar? I downloaded this program called SkipMetroSuite and checked all the appropriate boxes, but it doesn't seem to work. The damn charms bar keeps popping up when I least expect it.

Thank you for any and all replies!

A:Disable Charms Bar?

Assuming windows 8.1 , right click task bar , choose properties , go to navigation and un-tick the top selection box.

Charms Bar Hint - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/41699-disable-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a real problem with the Charms bar in Windows constantly popping up when bar Disabling charms I move the Disabling charms bar cursor from right to left across the screen I use the touch-pad and cursor constantly so the continual appearance of the charms bar and clock is disrupting to the extent that I am finding this operating system virtually unusable for my purposes I have read a lot of posts on the net telling me how to turn off the hot corners Disabling charms bar which I have done and how to install software such as Start to give me a Windows style menu All of these things have worked well but the one thing I cannot seem to do is stop the bar and clock appearing every time I move the cursor from right to left All I want is to be able to move my cursor around the screen without triggering this Can anyone help me or have I no option other than to remove Windows and install Windows

A:Disabling charms bar

Hi welcome to the forum, can you tell us the system information, which touchpad? you can always set the settings in Touchpad control panel.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/23733-disabling-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Charms has an odd connotation that some has said shouldn't be called such in Windows 8.

I offer a new word for it: the Start Bar. It is the "new" start menu of sorts, but acts as a navigation UI than a true menu. It has the Start button, Search, Share, Devices, and Settings; which is much what the old start menu does.

A:Rename the Charms Bar.

Sounds like a plan! Get MS right on that!

And let us move it to the bottom, left, or top.

A few more familiar behaviors/names might be less off-putting for new users, IMO.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/6287-rename-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 43.86%

If you press the Windows key+C, that stupid Charms bar will not only appear, but it will stay put long enough for you to use it.

By George, Folks, I'll learn this OS yet!

A:That Stupid Charms Bar

Press Win+C again to hide it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/5237-stupid-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 43.86%

hello
i've just encountered a strange problem
charmsbar doesn't appear when i move the pointer to the top right but it appears when when i swap the touch pad from left to right
i tried the registery file in this thread but it didn't work
also moving the pointer to the top left doesn't show the running modern apps

A:charms bar appears no more

Right click your taskbar and select properties. Then go to the navigation tab. Check to see if the first two options under Corner navigation are checked. When I point to the upper right corner and When I point to the upper left corner.

EDIT: The lower right hot corner should still work for the charms bar.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/45064-charms-bar-appears-no-more.html
Relevancy 43.86%

My Atomic Clock, which resides in the task bar, will speak the time in one of two voices. I'm not crazy about either one. However, the voice I use in my Text Aloud program is my dream guy. So, I want him to speak in my Atomic Clock. But the one I love is a .dat file and the ones that came with Atomic Clock are .stv files. I tried putting the file I do want into the same folder with the original Atomic Clock voices, it shows up in the list of possible choices within Atomic Clock setting, but it won't play. Is there a way to convert a .dat voice to a .stv voice? I know this is a weird question, but just hope someone may know. Thanks in advance, Shoshana

A:His voice charms me!

I knew I should'a saved that file as a .stv lol

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/his-voice-charms-me.377023/
Relevancy 43.86%

Installed Windows and have customized it rid Can't on everything charms 8.1; clock of get and tried heavily including disabling all swipe options but still can't get rid of the following problem I have an ASUS laptop with a Synaptics PS Port Compatible Touchpad The right side of the touchpad has an embedded scroll bar and I use it heavily so I don't want to disable it entirely In the Desktop the Charms slide in from the right and the clock comes up from below whenever I accidentally tap the right scroll bar and move the cursor left I do this all the time involuntarily The level of annoying is hard to put into words So I embarked on a mission to disable this behavior but have come up empty I've used all of the recommended PC settings gone to the Synaptics device in Control Panel and disabled EdgeMotion altered numerous registry entries including the one suggested in eightforums the charms bar hint but it doesn't remove the Charms bar entirely I also downloaded and ran winaero and that didn't work because it only affects some swipe behavior but not all According to Microsoft this terrible UI behavior on a laptop is normal Can't get rid of charms and clock on 8.1; tried everything and not configurable However on the positive side Can't get rid of charms and clock on 8.1; tried everything the tech support person implied that there is a solution and that I can get that solution by paying for premium technical support No way This irritating thing should be configurable by the user and my Can't get rid of charms and clock on 8.1; tried everything guess is that one of you guru's out there has figured it out At least that's what I'm hoping Please help really frustrated I can't fix this myself

A:Can't get rid of charms and clock on 8.1; tried everything

Hello Penrose, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Did you also disable your touchpad edge swipes?

If you truly want to completely disable the Charms bar, then you could use the free Winaero Charms Bar Killer program to do so. Click on the gray download button at that site to download it.

Hope this helps,
Shaw

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/49311-cant-get-rid-charms-clock-8-1-tried-everything.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I was noodling around and noticed no Charms on the right. How do I get them back?

Victorio

A:The Charms just disappeared

Hey there Victorio! Welcome to EightForums!

Start with pressing the key to see if it's still there.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/61124-charms-just-disappeared.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I bought an ASUS X C b notepad with Windows a couple of months ago as my old Dell Vostro Basic was beginning to run very slowly I perhaps prematurely as I'm a bit of a novice in the I T field immediately up-graded the machine to Windows and have been quite happy with it so far apart from a couple of glitches here and there such as the cursor wont highlight on certain links in emails and forms forcing me annoying bar/Hotspots Charms to to get the items in question onto my old computer which runs on Vista and completing the operation there The other thing is the Charms bar and Hotspots function which I know is not a glitch in fact I'm sure people with more computer know-how than me see it as a blessing but I'm afraid that for me it is Charms bar/Hotspots annoying a tool that is more of Charms bar/Hotspots annoying a nuisance than a help I read an article on how to turn off the switches in the control panel Charms bar/Hotspots annoying in order to disable the charms bar and hotspots on the right of the screen which I did but with no success all the hotspots and charms bar still function Is there a way I can disable not delete these tools as I seem to very gifted at invoking them without will

A:Charms bar/Hotspots annoying

1.  Open the registry editor:
1.1.  Get to the Start Screen.
1.2.  Type (no quotes): "regedit"
1.3.  Click on Regedit
2.  Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell
3.  Right-click the ImmersiveShell key
4.  Click on New
5.  Click on Key
6.  Name the key EdgeUI and press Enter.
7.  Right-click the EdgeUI key
8.  Click on New
9.  Click on DWORD
10.  Enter (no quotes): "DisableTLcorner"
11.  Press Enter
12.  Double click on "DisableTLcorner"
13.  Change value to (no quotes): "1"
14.  Click OK.
15.  Repeat 7-14, using (no quotes): "DisableTRcorner"
15.  Repeat 7-14, using (no quotes): "DisableCharmsHint"
16.  Close regedit
17.  Reboot your computer.
Editing the registry, if done wrong, could render your computer unbootable, causing you to have to use the recovery disks/partition.  So please be careful.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532451/charms-barhotspots-annoying/
Relevancy 43.43%

I don't know how she manages it, but each time my 3yr old plays on my dual monitor PC, she manages to move the charms bar so that it appears on the right side of the left monitor, instead of the right side of the right monitor!

Any ideas on how she is doing that? I find I have to restart to the computer to get it to revert, and there must be a simpler way!

Thanks,
Ackoman

A:Charms bar move from one monitor to the other

she must be hitting the - windows key + p

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60176-charms-bar-move-one-monitor-other.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi
Is there any way of opening the charms bar programmatically?
I've got a simple vbs script that uses the GUID tor searching apps, which then uses "send keys" to find a specific app and open it. The app is just a photo gallery I use in place of my screensaver. The last step I want to add to the script is to open the charms bar (just so I have my app running and over the top I can see the clock.
Any ideas? I currently just trigger the vbs on idle via task scheduler.

A:Is there any way of opening charms bar programmatically?

Hello Oriba, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You could use "send keys" for Windows + C keys to open the Charms bar, but it will open on the desktop.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/19231-there-any-way-opening-charms-bar-programmatically.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello,
I'm running a preinstalled version of Windows 8.1 on a Dell Inspiron 3531.
I would like to turn off the charms completely. I've done this in the new (Metro) settings screen but the charms still come up when I use the touchpad and I think it might be a touchpad problem. Does anyone please know how to turn them off completely?

Oh! It is the touchpad. You just click on the arrow for more notifications, then right click on the Dell Touchpad icon, select Properties, click on the Gestures button at the bottom left and... set your preferences.

A:Completely Disable Charms

Hello Greek, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you haven't already, this may be able to help as well.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/66456-completely-disable-charms.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello all - sorry in advance if this is a newbie question.

I'm running Windows 8 via Parallels 8 on a Macbook Pro. When typing on the laptop keyboard, sometimes my right hand accidentally swipes in from the right of the trackpad. This opens up the Charms Bar and interrupts me from my work. Is there any way to turn off this setting in Windows 8 so that I can remove this shortcut?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/24430-charms-bar-touchpad-shortcut.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Occasionally when I am playing games on my computer the charms bar will open up and i can't type anything until I restart my computer. Whenever i try to type it just opens up the charms bar. It is really annoying when i am playing competitive.

A:charms bar always opening when typing

Hello maxpower, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Is this on a laptop with a touchpad by chance?

If so, then you might be having the charms bar open from the edge swipes feature. If this is the case, then you can use an option in the tutorial below to disable touchpad edge swipes.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/59526-charms-bar-always-opening-when-typing.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I've recently bought a Lenovo G510 laptop and I'm suffering with the Charms Bar.   At random when I make a horizontal gesture on the keypad close to the right edge of the screen it drags out the Charms Bar.  I've disabled corner navigation and hovering in the corner doesn't have an effect but I still drag the bar out.  Also I've been in the registry editor (edge UI) but no joy.  Any ideas please? 

A:Charms bar driving me crazy in Win 8.1

Did you try the method here of disabling edge swipes on the touchpad?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/559784/charms-bar-driving-me-crazy-in-win-81/
Relevancy 43.43%

Since Win 8.1 using the charms search feature is extremely slow.
Dell Dimenson, Pentium 4, 4 GB mem
Please advise

A:Charms search is slow

Do you have any programs like Shell8 or Classic8 installed?

How slow are we talking here?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/charms-search-is-slow-759825.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Just started working with Windows 8. I find that the Charms frequently come onto the screen when I begin to move the pointer via the touch pad. Anyone else having this problem; do you know how to fix it? Thanks.

A:Moving Pointer and Charms Appear

I guess you are saying that this occurs when not in the charm bar activation area, right?

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/17339-moving-pointer-charms-appear.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Is there a way to completely disable the Charms Bar nbsp My problem is that I need to restrict the entry point to the computer settings to the Control Panel only because we're using a third party application where the proxy settings are exposed through PC Settings and I can't find a good charms completely bar Disable way of locking them down nbsp The proxy settings are Disable charms bar completely dynamic so if I force them using a GPO the application stops working nbsp Works on previous versions of Windows because I can just remove the quot connections quot tab from the Internet Control Panel but Windows has an additional entry point though PC Settings I could just remove access to PC Settings altogether but that also removes access to Control Panel altogether and users need to be able to change some of the settings Also for desktop users I think the Disable charms bar completely Charms Bar is just a distraction now that they can right-click and shut down log off etc Various people have put stuff up on the web about doing it in Windows but they don't seem to work in Windows I think it's bad design to not have a GPO that allows you to lock down PC Settings and Control Panel independently

A:Disable charms bar completely

Currently, you have discovered the only supported methods available in Windows 8.1.  Just as you have learned, the GPO that turns off full access to PC settings will also disable access to the Control Panel. Windows 8.1 added in a UI option to disable
access to the right-corner charms bar but not the charms bar / PC settings completely.

To answer your question, as it stands now, there is no supported way to turn off access to one and not the other as the PC Settings and Control Panel are linked entities. With all that said, your feedback has been noted and will be passed along to the
appropriate team.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dfa779c7-fed6-4f82-bc00-7b6416c554e2/disable-charms-bar-completely?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 43%

I built a custom PC about a month ago, and did a clean install of an OEM copy of Windows 8 with no problems. Upon launch this past Thursday, I downloaded the Windows 8.1 update from the store, which I like except for one problem:

Shutting down the computer by pressing the power button or "shut down" from the charms bar power menu shuts down Windows, but leaves the computer itself on and running, case fans spinning and all. Oddly enough shutting down the computer using the menu I get by right-clicking the new start button shuts down the computer properly, and that is the only way to do it without flipping the computer's power switch. That said, I would still like it to work 100% properly. What is happening?

A:Computer does not turn of when shut down from charms bar.

Good to see I'm not the only one with this problem. Mine started just after I installed 8.1 from the store as well. When I shut down or restart my PC, the screen goes off but the PC keeps running. I have to use either the physical power button or restart button to shutdown/restart the PC. I used Acronis to go back to Windows 8 and the problem solved. Just tried 8.1 again and the problem is back.
I read somewhere that it was related to McAfee virus protection or a driver called express cache but I have neither. Apparently this shutdown/restart problem was big in the 8.1 Preview and apparently it wasn't fixed.
IT doesn't seem anyone else is having this issue or at least to a point where it's being talked about or fixed.
I'll just have to go back to Windows 8 and wait for further updates.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/33597-computer-does-not-turn-when-shut-down-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi
I really hope someone can help me with this!!! I installed dropbox to my yahoo e-mail account in order to get some important forms. I allowed changes to be made to my computer the dropbox worked well. Then I tried to pull out the charms bar to shut down my computer and it was GONE!!!! How do I get it back???
THANK YOU

A:lost charms sidebar windows 8

press windows key + C

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-charms-sidebar-windows-8.1114316/
Relevancy 43%

I've been reading and searching for a few days now, and can't seem to find an answer (or not stating my question correctly).

I was running Win. 7 Pro and used the online purchase to upgrade (which I think turned into a Clean Install?) via .iso file.

I'm pretty sure there was content in the Settings and Files screens? It should have listings?

I lost the Apps as well (blank). I KNOW they were there, so I did a Refresh.

All Apps came back, but Settings and Files are still blank.

How do I get them to populate?

A:Settings & Files Blank in Charms Bar

Hi spddemun, welcome to the forums, try sfc /scannow run as admin few times, uninstall any third party security as well.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8
EDIT:
You could also try resetting IE.
Internet Explorer - Reset - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/12336-settings-files-blank-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 43%

Here is a list of everything I noticed all of which happened at once I believe I put my computer into sleep mode which i normally don't do and also there was a windows update to defender that I installed that I have already uninstalled to see if it was the issue My Charms Bar and Switcher Hot Corners don't work out of the blue I also noticed that I can't drag close windows apps such as the video player or photo viewer or apps store I and Hot Bar Corners Switcher Don't Charms work! have to Alt Charms Bar and Switcher Hot Corners Don't work! F to close everything I can bring up the charms menu by using Win C and it does work after that point Although again I cannot close anything with the Esc key or drag Charms Bar and Switcher Hot Corners Don't work! to close I can click the lower left hot Charms Bar and Switcher Hot Corners Don't work! corner to get my desktop or start menu but no small preview window appears and I can only do this if I am currently on my desktop For instance I am in Google chrome now typing this now with the task bar visible If I were to put my mouse in the lower left corner of the screen and left click nothing happens If I go back to my empty desktop then click in the same spot it brings me to my start menu But again no preview of my start menu I also haven't seen the hot switcher task bar on the left side of my screen since this all started I called Microsoft and they said to refresh windows but that I would lose all my applications I installed since I installed Win

A:Charms Bar and Switcher Hot Corners Don't work!

Hello Scolecite, and welcome to Eight Forums.

It sounds like you may have used one of the many tweaks out there to disable hot corners.

You should be able to do a system restore using a restore point (if available) dated before this all started to hopefully undo and fix this.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/16426-charms-bar-switcher-hot-corners-dont-work.html
Relevancy 43%

On a desktop the Charms UI is somewhat awkward to use I have the navigation down and all but can feeling Charms have a I in System Tray. that be the the it seems odd Also the app switcher doesn't work on the Desktop view I've accidentally switched to an app when I'm in Outlook Since a majority of the Settings sidebar are already in the lower right hand side of the Task Bar the search Charm might not be really used in the Desktop nor Devices so much it would better sense to place I have a feeling that the Charms can be in the System Tray. them in the Task Bar on systems without touch screens Then replace the static Start button in the lower left hand side with the new Start window logo it would be better for mouse navigation It just doesn't feel right in the Desktop View with the touch version of pulling up the Charms bar The Developer Preview did it better I'm not sure how to switch between apps though Another thing the sidebars NEED to be smaller on desktop systems it's odd with it being so large

A:I have a feeling that the Charms can be in the System Tray.

You can get to the charms bar easily with winkey+c.

Charms Bar - Open in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/4508-i-have-feeling-charms-can-system-tray.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello It's quite a pickle for me to figure out what exe file is hidden under the quot Shutdown quot button in the Charms bar Most of you will probably think it's just the system shutdown exe but this doesn't seem to be the case Why do I care and how do I know I have a Razer Mamba with charging dock that .exe file The -> Charms button Shutdown for needs voltage on USB when the PC is off The problem is that when I shut the PC with a shutdown exe shortcut the USB voltage goes off and no I can't The .exe file for Charms -> Shutdown button enable it in my BIOS whereas it miraculously stays on when I turn my desktop off using the Charms bar button I tried the hibernate exe shortcut too but this only hibernates the PC without closing the apps - this I don't need nor want I need the proper exe file for setting The .exe file for Charms -> Shutdown button up a shortcut for my keyboard so that I can close the PC with one button instead of going through all that Metro bullshit hassle I browsed the web in search for all the shutdown types used in Windows but generally found only three methods full shutdown hibernate or sleep Can anyone help locate the exe corresponding to the Charms bar button I'm puzzled and out of ideas

A:The .exe file for Charms -> Shutdown button

Sounds like it's tied into this: Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

I wonder if it's this:

Code:
shutdown /hybrid Performs a shutdown of the computer and prepares it for fast startup.
Must be used with /s option.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/46214-exe-file-charms-shutdown-button.html
Relevancy 43%

I have not been able to access the Charms bar and Startup Menu since around June. I have NO literal way of accessing the startup menu, or charms bar at all! Nor have I seen either of them since June. I've already tried the most common fix like end task explorer.exe and still nothing, please help!

Edit: My info is:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU J2900 @ 2.41GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8072 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 935285 MB, Free - 833427 MB; D: Total - 17065 MB, Free - 2160 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 2B28
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

A:Charms and Startup Menu are not working

is this a PC with a keyboard or a touchscreen device only ?

Try the
Windows Key + C

otherwise on the windows icon - usually bottom left
if you right click on the icon - you have a menu of options that probably means you do not need the charms menu

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/charms-and-startup-menu-are-not-working.1151886/
Relevancy 43%

i install Uxtheme multi patcher and install Windows XP Theme with icons but i dont like that theme i switch back to normal theme but i think theres a Bug in the charms bar This PC seems xp my computer icon in charms bar but i search for solution but its for Desktop but my desktop This PC is not messed i tried everything like rebuilding iconcache by deleting the theme by Changing the icon in the personalization but it dosent return to normal
any other solution guys?

A:This PC icon in charms bar shows incorrectly

Hi Alvindale, welcome to Windows EightForums!
Try restoring default desktop icons in Personalization/Change desktop icons.
(Maybe uncheck "Allow themes to change desktop icons")
Click Apply and OK and maybe restart Windows.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53338-pc-icon-charms-bar-shows-incorrectly.html
Relevancy 43%

I don't want to disable the Charms bar, just the clock.

Thanks

A:Disable the clock that pops up with Charms bar

to the best of my knowledge it cant be done ,it's all part of the same function

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/20965-disable-clock-pops-up-charms-bar.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello,

This is about to drive me completely crazy in fact I have to resist throwing the computer across the room when it happens. I have an ASUS laptop running Windows 8.1. Every time I am typing the palm of my hand gently touches the synaptic mouse pad which causes the Windows charm bar and time and date window to appear. I have to stop typing and click back in to the document I am working on to continue. I have already gone into PC Settings - Corners and Edges and turned off "Allow switching between recent apps" and "When I point to the upper right corner, show the charms" both of these have been turned off. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? Thanks for your help.

A:Charms bar and date suddenly appear when typing

You need to make the changes in the Synaptic touchpad properties. Or use something like Start8, that you can disable the charms and edges, if all you are doing is working in the desktop 100% of the time.

Tapping, edge motion and edge swipe in the touchpad properties would cause the behavior.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/41152-charms-bar-date-suddenly-appear-when-typing.html
Relevancy 43%

We have many windows 8.1 pc acting as kiosk with touchscreen. We would like to disable the charms bar for avoiding shutdown and settings control by users. In fact I have tried two methods from the internet. 1. turn off all options from corners and edges
2. Modifying retistry. However, while the user swiped from the right edge the charms bar still appear. I understand that windows 8.1 is an OS for tablet. so that may I have an answer that the charms bar is binded to the windows 8.1 OS kernel and it is impossible
for getting it disabled unless using third party software? Thank you very much!!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d0683788-9f56-4fe2-b412-ee960526934a/disabling-windows-81-charms-bar-completly?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 43%

If you are playing a fullscreen game (not a Metro Game) is the charms bar disabled, or does it interfere with right-side gameplay? Is it the same with the left sidebar?

According to Microsoft answers, there might be a way to disable the Charms bar, but they are not telling everybody!

Disable charms bar temporarily - Microsoft Answers

A:Charms bar and full screen games

Yup, I saw that yesterday while researching. The mod can't paste it in the link, instead of being all super secret like it's some insider trading in the stock market or something?

http://www.eightforums.com/gaming/5851-charms-bar-full-screen-games.html
Relevancy 43%

is there a way to disable the bottom right corner charms bar gesture? i can disable the hint no problem with DisableCharmsHint. however moving the mouse up the right side of the screen (starting from the bottom right corner) will still open the charms bar.

DisableTRCorner will both disable the top right charms hint AND the "gesture". Moving the mouse down the right side of the screen will not open the charms bar.

i cant seem to find a way to do the same for the bottom right. i dont understand why microsoft couldnt have added a "DisableBRCorner" registry entry that functions the same as DisableTRCorner.

A:Disable 8.1 Charms Mouse Gesture?

WinAero: Winaero Charms Bar Killer

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/52313-disable-8-1-charms-mouse-gesture.html
Relevancy 43%

I'm not sure where to post this....

On my laptop with WIndows 8.1, with Start8, and using the touchpad (and in the desktop mode) - while in Internet Explorer (or Firefox), if I move the cursor too far to the right, it brings up the charms bar on the right and a clock in the lower left corner. Very obtrusive. I know I can then click on the screen and make them go away, but is there anyway to disable them? I tried disabling the Corner Navigation in the PC settings, but that didn't help. Any ideas?

A:charms bar and clock on desktop annoyance

Settings - PC Settings - PC and Devices - Corners and edges

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/33573-charms-bar-clock-desktop-annoyance.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I'm in the market for a new case. I want to transfer my OEM HP into the new case for now and later on buy parts for a build later on down the road. My question is: What is the better position of the PSU, top mount or bottom mount? Does is really matter or is it preference?

A:PSU placement

Originally Posted by bassfisher6522

I'm in the market for a new case. I want to transfer my OEM HP into the new case for now and later on buy parts for a build later on down the road. My question is: What is the better position of the PSU, top mount or bottom mount? Does is really matter or is it preference?

Warm air is less dense so it rises compared to cooler air in the vicinity. Hence, the top of a computer case (or box, or room, or hall) will be warmer than the bottom.

PSUs have an extractor fan. In some machines it's the only extractor fan. Extracting air from the top of the box leads to better cooling because the air being expelled is the warmest air in that container.

If the extractor fan is placed at the bottom of a container, it expels the coolest air, thereby possibly leading to a buildup of higher temperatures at the top.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/226019-psu-placement.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hey again guys, I was looking to add some new fans to my case (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172779) as it only comes with a front 120mm intake, but I'm getting confused with which fans should exhaust and which should intake, I was thinking a 120mm intaking on the side panel, with maybe a 120mm on the back or 140mm on the top exhausting. any suggestions? Many thanks, Alex

Relevancy 42.57%

I have a lian li Pc-61. It has 2 intake fans at the bottom on the front, a exhaust at the back toward the top under the power supply, and a blowhole on the top. The powersupply also blows air out, but it doesnt affect it much due to the power of my other fans. They are all 80mm. But my question is, if i were to add other fans to it, where would be the best place to put them? I was thinking adding a intake to the side, but i dont know if that would mess up the air flow. Also i thought about adding another exhaust fan under my one on the back, but i dont know if that is a good idea, as i hear it is better to keep positive pressure inside the case. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks a lot for any comments.

A:Fan Placement?

A side panel intake might help keep you cpu or gpu cooler(depending on where you put it). It isn't too hard, but If you have to make the hole, you might have to repaint the case unless you're very careful.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fan-placement.30828/
Relevancy 42.57%

I'm using a 4 RIMM motherboard, current in this placement:
64,64 - 64,64
I know RDRAMs have to be installed in pairs (at least in my case I think) but can the two pairs be of different capacity? as in:
64,64 - 256,256
(Upgrading 2 64mb RDRAM to 2 256mb RDRAM)

Oh yah I've a second question. Why is "Intel chipset recommended" when I'm installing my USB ADSL modem?

A:RAM placement

Oh I'm sure it will...Try it and see, if it works your system will boot, and the memory test will read "640 MB". If it doesn't, your system just won't boot. There's no real reason why it wouldn't.

Is your DSL modem made by Intel? If not, I don't even know what to say...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-placement.1716/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hello,

Is it possible to open the Start Screen (Metro) and / or the charms bar from Icons?

We have lots of servers running Server 2012 and when in a Remote Desktop Window its a real pain to try and move the cursor in the 1 pixel corner that brings up the Start Charm...
And Pressing the "Windows" key doesn't get translated so no Win+C ...

So I we could create an icon on the desktop to bring up metro or Charms that would be great!

A:Open Charms / Start Screen from an Icon?

This may help:

Charms Bar Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/25970-open-charms-start-screen-icon.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Just wondering how? No, I'm using laptop non-touchscreen. Please answer my question, please! Thanks

A:How to open Charms Bar in Windows 8.1 with Touch feature

Welcome to Windows Eight Forums, can2x.

Mouse pointer in upper or lower right corners or Windows key/C combo.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/50156-how-open-charms-bar-windows-8-1-touch-feature.html
Relevancy 42.57%

This is a legit copy of Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. After about 8 hours of uptime or so the mouse gesture in which you move your mouse to the top right to see the charms bar does not work. In addition the start button at the bottom left in which you are able to click to get to the tile screen becomes disabled but the Windows Key still functions to get there. Also after this behavior, full screen apps such as games will launch and then immediately get minimized to the desktop. I know the simple solution is to log out and log back in and that takes care of the situation but it's become quite annoying ever since I installed this OS as a clean installation. I keep scratching my head as to what is wrong.

A:Windows 8.1 : Charms Bar mouse gesture is disabled

Try running sfc & dism.

sfc /scannow

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Right click the title bar to get the edit/paste option.
For best results run sfc then dism then sfc again.

A video---

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/50967-windows-8-1-charms-bar-mouse-gesture-disabled.html
Relevancy 42.57%
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi All,

I have a Dell laptop which has built in windows 8 in it.
Recently it has automatically upgraded to windows 8.1.
every time when switch on my laptop
Start button and charms are disabled
so I will restart again to get it enabled it is beeeeen happening for last three months.
If some one have solution to solve without downgrading to windows 8 please suggest me a solution
please help

A:Start button and charms are disabled after window 8.1

Running

sfc /scannow

&

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

&

sfc /scannow AGAIN, both in administrator CMD prompts MAY help.

Dism hangs on 20% for a long time but will finish.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/57415-start-button-charms-disabled-after-window-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I STILL get the wretched 'charms' and clock appearing EVERY time I move the cursor!!!!!

What's worse is, another tiny mm of 'swipe' and the screen vanishes and leaves me with the 'START' screen!!!

I've cleared all the "metro" stuff.... "remove from start window".. or whatever, but how
do I prevent the START WINDOW from clearing what I'm doing in other apps, or web pages, and showing itself, just because I've 'gone a little bit too far' with the damn cursor!????????????????

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR HELP PLEASE!

A:Settings for corners to STOP charms NOT working..........

See this guide.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-hot-corners-charms-bar-and-app-switch-list-in-windows-8-1/

Also look at the last image on this page. You want to uncheck Enable Edge Swipes

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581255/settings-for-corners-to-stop-charms-not-working/
Relevancy 42.14%

Folks, I seem to remember a minor reg hack a while back, couple years maybe, that would change the location of an icon placed on the desktop by creating a shortcut from a web page, a save tmp file icon that's created for a file opened from the desktop such as a Word document, installing a new program, etc.

If I remember you could change a Key or Value in relation to the desktop or screen resolution. I don't know, maybe someone knows something else. Essentiality I'd like to move the default location.

Any ideas ???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/icon-placement.563004/
Relevancy 42.14%

hey, have a simple question. My case has three 3.5 inch drives. 1 is only for floppies, one is only for hardrives, and the other is interchangable. I have a second hardrive i want to install. But im not sure if i should. If i do there is like a cm of space between my two hardrives. Will this cause to much heat?

A:Hardrive placement

You should be fine providing your PC isn't already running hot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardrive-placement.15488/
Relevancy 42.14%

if when i open wordpad, wordpad opens as a small window in the center of the screen, is there a way to make it always open on the left side of the screen ?

maybe this can be done in the registry somehow ???

A:window placement in win XP

try moving it to where you want it, close it and re-open it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/window-placement-in-win-xp.496452/
Relevancy 42.14%

two identical kingston 512mb pc3200 ddr ram sticks. have 4 ram slots on motherboard. does it matter what order or sequence the sticks are put in?

A:Ram slot placement

I don't think so...unless you're running DUAL Channel on your board, in which case your manual will tell you exactly which ones.

Not all Motherboards have DUAL Channel, though, so it might not matter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-slot-placement.21646/
Relevancy 42.14%

http www newegg com app ViewProductDesc asp description - - amp depa The link above is the case that I currently use for my system with exception of the power supply I currently run a W instead of the W that came with it As the temp has been rising outside and I have to keep my system on top of my desk in fear that my cat will get hair in it But that also means that I have to keep it somewhat close to the window which the sun shines in through the day and it has been heating up in the past few weeks System specs CPU P CGHz M P K HT MB i P IC ABIT ATX Video RADEON PRO M X HD GB WD --- GB Maxtor CD DVD DVD -RW NEC --- Generic Model unknown DVD-ROM Currently I have the standard two fans built into the case going as well as a third fan installed in the front of the system for intake So I ve got an intake on the front one of the left side and the exhaust on the top I used to have the one in the front out the back as exhaust but it seemed that I got better circulation coming from the front Placement Case Fan as intake Case Fan Placement I ve got the two bays on the back that are open and I was thinking of having the bottom bay as a rd intake and the bay above it as exhaust but Case Fan Placement I am not sure what would be the best set up in this situation I also have a th spot in the front next to the rd fan that I can use as well Any ideas on what would be the best set up Case Fan Placement for this I m currently running case temp around F idle and between - F during high usage and CPU temp runs around F idle - F during usage All of these temps are about - F warmer than they have been in the past because of the heat outside The temps seem okay still but I would love to get this to run cooler I ve been looking into water cooled systems as well but I m concerned about that whole quot water in my computer quot thing Not only that if I were go get one I d go high end and be spending about on it Would be adding a fan or two make this better and if so any suggestions on what to buy I appreciate any suggestions thanks nbsp

A:Case Fan Placement

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you can`t move the tower to a cooler location then maybe getting some blinds for the window in question would help a lot.

No matter how many case fans you employ, if your tower is in direct sunlight it`s going to get hot.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-fan-placement.24140/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi i m in my final year computer engineering and my campus interviews are approaching. I have mentioned Networks as one of my areas of interest in my resume. Basically i am a good programmer and i have developed some networking applications for my projects and i am currently working on developing a bit torrent client. Well, all i would like to know is, what type of questions will be asked in the placement interviews (MNC's) in the domain of computer networks? what all should i concentrate in, while preparing for the interviews with regard to networking?

Relevancy 42.14%

Hey everyone, I just upgraded my memory from 512mhz to 1.5 ghz. Pretty big jump.. anyway I was just wondering with SDR ram since it acts like a circuit, and all of the slots have to be taken up, does it matter if the more powerful ram is in the first slot, since the computer goes through all of the ram when it does an operation?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/memory-placement.296600/
Relevancy 42.14%

I'm going to buy 120mm case fan would it be ok to tape it out on there? My case doesn't have any pins do put a fan into.
I'm also wondering i could maybe place it on bottom panel below my gfx card.

A:Fan placement question

czplayer said:

I'm going to buy 120mm case fan would it be ok to tape it out on there? My case doesn't have any slots to put a fan into.
I'm also wondering i could maybe place it on bottom panel below my graphics card.Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fan-placement-question.95319/
Relevancy 42.14%

My comp used to run at 32 - 35 at idle.
With the warm weather, it has risen to 41c.

I don't think that this is a major worry, but I thought I might place a fan pointing at the back of comp to lower temps.

Would that be advisable?

Thanks,

Paul

A:Placement of external fan

Sure but it won't help a thing. The place to point it would be the side air intake or front air intakes and even then you may only see a little decline. Really the 41c is a very modest rise and I would sweat it as they say !

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/288724-placement-external-fan.html
Relevancy 42.14%

As I posted in the general hardware thread, I am building a computer and need some help deciding where to place the case fans. The case is a Thermaltake V3, it has a bottom mounted PSU, 2 top fan spaces, 1 bottom fan space, 1 front fan space, and one upper-rear fan space. All are 120mm. The PC isn't going to be doing anything that should make it real hot but I want to make sure its well cooled. I was thinking of just putting a front and rear, but will the spaces in the top and bottom cause circulation issues without fans installed there? I'm building a new pc because my current notebook is failing because the graphics card overheats quickly..so I'm a little paranoid about keeping things cool. :suspiciou

A:Help with fan placement in Thermaltake V3

Fans are comparatively cheap, and I err on the side of more airflow is better so i would say fill all of the available fan spaces, or put one more exhausting air than pulling it in for a negative airflow. Its a bit more dusty, but gets more air through the system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-fan-placement-in-thermaltake-v3.155056/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi,
Just bought a new case, which came with a 350 ps....and a fan installed on the side panel of the case...this case is capable of holding 4 fans in the front, and a 60mm fan in the back....anyway, I was wondering, is a rear fan necessary as there is already a side fan...also, i have an 80mm fan (which will fit the front) from an old computer......should i hook this up? if i do it will be blowing air in, but directly onto my HDD...is this good or bad? thanks

Relevancy 42.14%

I just installed a new CPU cooler and now I only have room for three out of four sticks of memory. Two are installed in like-coloured slots for dual channel performance. The sticks are four gigs each. Is it better to leave it at 8 gigs of dual channel RAM, or should I put a third stick in for a total of 12 gigs memory? Will it mess up dual channel performance?

Thanks, gordoncanada

A:Memory placement

Make of mobo would be helpful. Some memory is done by slot 1 & 3 then 2 & 4 and some are done by pairs side by side. You can always try it. It will work or not or have no effect. If the system boots you can go to System in Control Panel and see how much ram is detected. If you built your computer, the manual would guide you as to placement of the ram.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/memory-placement.1040516/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi there,

Iam using Windows 8 x64 in Desktop Mode.
Does anyone know if the placement of the volume bar can be changed?
I made a screenshot:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2eqb94z.jpg
the default position is now in win8 in the left upper area. i want it where it always has been, in the right lower corner.

thanks
skraluk

A:Volume Bar Placement

There is a sound bar that is under the Settings charm that is right about where it's always been...

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/15023-volume-bar-placement.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a header in site www.palcus.org and in Firefox it does not shift the 55px as it does in IE. how to fix it?

i want the drop down menu to be dircetly below the header.

thanks

aveiro

A:placement of header

I'm not quite sure how you'd do it with your setup, but if all else fails, you can use a javascript pop-up menu, and set the 'x' value to zero. If you want to try it out and would like the code for this, or instructions on how to do it in dreamweaver, I'd be happy to supply them. Its not exactly what you wanted, but its better than nothing :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/placement-of-header-57338.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Windows xp - suddenly screen is off center to the left. Nothing I have tried, including "Command Prompt" has gotten it recentered. What should I do?

[email protected]

A:Screen placement

Have you tried ajusting the controls on your monitor?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-placement.256736/
Relevancy 42.14%

i bought a emachines T2672 with a bad power supply for 25.00 last saturday. i have replaced the power supply and noticed the power led and the power sv and the hdd led have been disconnected. the motherboard is a fic au31-KFM-NF18G. I have no idea where to hook these up to. i know where they go but not which pins to connect them to. any help would be greatly appreciated. fic site is no help at all. thank you. rgh440

Relevancy 42.14%

Hi I have Asus UL JT laptop with driver from Asus website Touchpad Elantech Win VER I modified my registry to force my PC to use gestures For future users looking for help here is a small tutorial on values that you after Elan snap to gesture? swipe driver, charms can put inside registry Code HKEY CURRENT USER Software Elan driver, snap to charms after swipe gesture? Elantech SmartPad Button Left Button Right Tap Two Finger Tap Three Finger ThreeFingerMoveUp Func ThreeFingerMoveDown Func Click Select Left click default Pop-up Menu Right Click default Middle Button Internet Back to be continue continue Internet Forward Maximize Window Minimize Window None Disables the button Page Elan driver, snap to charms after swipe gesture? Up Page Down Run Runs a file of your chosing Can be anything - a program a document an mp etc Also see lt Gesture gt Ex and lt Gesture gt Path Scroll Down Scroll Left Scroll Right Scroll Up Start Menu Zoom Out Zoom In Close Window Return to Desktop Default behavior for three Elan driver, snap to charms after swipe gesture? finger swipe down My Favorites Shows a list of files Initially it is empty but there is a link at the bottom of the window that appears that you can click that will let you select files to add to the list Show My Computer Switch Windows Alt-tab style window switcher Behavior Left Right Buttons Two-finger scroll or click the button the function is assigned to to switch between windows Click press enter or perform a Show Desktop gesture to select a window Three finger swipe left right will select the window to the left or right of the one currently shown when you are scrolling between windows Very buggy though because often times the alt key will become quot stuck down quot as if sticky keys were enabled and you will have to press it on your keyboard in order to un-stick it Cursor is not locked Reccomend not using this function with these buttons Three-finger swipe up down Move single finger left right to switch between windows Tap click to exit once you have selected the desired window Cursor is locked Other gestures Untested Switch Windows Aero Flip D style window switcher Different behavior than for some gestures Behavior Left Right Buttons Two-finger scroll or click the button that the function is assigned to to switch between windows Two-finger scroll is extremely sensitive with this function Click on the window that you wish to select normal click or tap not a click with the button being used for this function Very buggy though because often times the Windows key will become quot stuck down quot as if sticky keys were enabled and you will have to press it on your keyboard in order to un-stick it and the Start Menu will pop up anyway Cursor is not locked Reccomend not using this function with these buttons Three-finger swipe up down Move single finger left right to switch between windows Tap click to focus the window underneath your cursor not necessarily the one in the front top of the stack Press enter to focus the window on in the front top of the stack Cursor is locked Other gestures Untested Start Slide Show Stop Slide Show Open Windows Search Dialog Displayed as quot No Function quot in the GUI Double-Click Displayed as quot No Function quot in the GUI Lock Computer Same function as WinKey L Displayed as quot No Function quot in the GUI Turn off display keyboard backlight Not the same as Fn F and Fn F simply move cursor or press a key to turn back on Displayed as quot No Function quot in the GUI Displayed as quot No Function quot in the GUI Displayed as quot No Function quot in the GUI Switch Windows Aero Flip D move three fingers left right to switch between windows must click on the window you wish to focus cursor is enabled Default for three finger swipe up Behavior Left Right Buttons Exact same behavior as Reccomend not using this function with these buttons Three-finger swipe up down Three-finger swipe left right to switch between windows Click press enter or perform a Sh... Read more

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/48159-elan-driver-snap-charms-after-swipe-gesture.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I have been having a problem since upgrading to the latest update for Windows 8.1 where the start button becomes unusable, the charms menu on the right does not open and the recent apps menu on the right doesn't open. Even though I can still use the keyboard
commands it makes using 8.1 so much more awkward to use, and the minimize option for apps also disappears meaning I have to drag them to the bottom of the screen (which was one of my least favourite parts of Windows 8). Also, it works fine after booting up
and for any time between half and hour and 2 hours but then the problem continues.
It seems like other people are having the same issue, however I have not been able to find any solutions. Any help would be appreciated
Josh

A:Start button and charms stop working in Windows 8.1

works fine after booting up and for any time between half and hour and 2 hours but then the problem continues. 

Sounds like there is a hung thread.  Try using ResMon first to see what the explorer.exe threads look like normally and then when you are in this hung state.  Also I suspect there is a relevant troubleshooter to try...  No?  (Not obvious
to me.)
Perhaps one to download then?
http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a007e827-9c50-4cb5-ac4a-6228f900e322/start-button-and-charms-stop-working-in-windows-81?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 42.14%

so i cant click the windows start button to get to tiles,nor use the charm to search.

i have had this happend before on another system.

ive read that it can be caused by an update but i havent downloaded nor installed an update.

my anti virus is avast but i do have malware antibytes installed so i can scan with that.

malware found nothing, i ended up having to restart explorer, but i want a perm fix.
is there an perm fix for it?

A:windows start button and charms doesn't work

Make sure that all Windows Updates are installed.
From and Command Prompt (Admin) type sfc /scannow
If all corrupt system files are not fixed type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Then run the sfc command again
It may appear to be frozen but let these command run their course.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60675-windows-start-button-charms-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Anyone know if you can do a RegEdit to remove the "Time/Date" panel when you activate the "Charms Bar" please ?

I just hate the way it works. Can't see the point in it , I have the time and date on the superbar already and never use the start screen as such but I like the Metro search function ( So I wont disable it completely ). Am I correct in saying that the Metro UI part of Win 8 is not themeable , As in a custom "Visual Style" edit ?

Thanks

A:Charms Bar (Time/Date Panel ) RegEdit wanted please.

With decor8 you can customize certain colors that pertain to the charm bar, so to your question is it themeable, yes.
How it works to change it I dont know the mechanics but you can customize background and text colors.
See here Decor8 - Personalize the Windows? 8 Start screen with Decor8?!

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/26354-charms-bar-time-date-panel-regedit-wanted-please.html
Relevancy 41.71%

i have recently purchsed the aerocool easy watch fan contoller and moniter but i am not sure where to place the little thermo-meter on the unit. I want to have one measuring my cpu temp one measuring my GPU temp and one measuring my HDD temp Where would i place the threee probes for this??

(me)

A:CPU thermo-meter placement???

I looked up this system and am glad to know about it. The page I was reading explained clearly where to place these probes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-thermo-meter-placement.93803/
Relevancy 41.71%

I am using xp home and Xp pro and would like to have a program's window
to always open at a certain position on he desktop. I have a small program that has a window approx. 2.5x6 inches in size when opened.
I would like for it always open in the right lower section of the desktop.

Thanks very much,
rar10125

A:window placement on desktop

Windows should remember the last place it was closed and open it from there. I believe it is just like Internet Explorer's window size and placement. I may be wrong. Open up your task manager and move it. Then close it. It should open up in the same position.
The software may have a built in placement on a given screen resolution. I know programs like WeatherBug work this way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/window-placement-on-desktop.729802/
Relevancy 41.71%

I know that icons for the desktop are stored in the Desktop folder. But where is the placement information stored? Each time I boot the computer the desktop icons are just where I left them.

A:Desktop icon placement

Quote: Originally Posted by blockie

I know that icons for the desktop are stored in the Desktop folder. But where is the placement information stored? Each time I boot the computer the desktop icons are just where I left them.

1) Open Windows Explorer
2) Navigate to you user folder:

3) Right-click on "Desktop", then select "Properties"
4) Click the "Location" Tab
4) Click "Find Target":

Or, you can just navigate to C:\Users\[YOU_USER_NAME]\Desktop

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/130045-desktop-icon-placement.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I got this new case and it came with a temp. sensor (lcd on front of case). I want to place it on my GPU but I don't know exactly where the best spot would be. Any suggestions?

A:Temp. Sensor placement

?

Need more details.Is this a CPU cooler ?
Anyhow it should have install instructions.
You do mean "CPU" don't you ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/temp-sensor-placement.100218/
Relevancy 41.71%

Quote from Djrafh;How much OC...
well the temp monitor is a little thermal sensor actually on my cpu (between the cpu/heatsink) and its never gone above 41C. So i suppose i could try 3.2 possibly....

This is the first time I ever heard of the actual placement of that little sensor ( I don't get around much any more!)
Anyway ,I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a general
rule as to exactly where & how the heat sensor is to be mounted.
I have built 3- P4's and 1-P3 over the last few years .It's just a hobby for me , but they all work great , but I have never been comfortable as to whether I was getting a proper reading .
Thanx

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/heat-sensor-placement.8691/
Relevancy 41.71%

How can I place a header on an Excel document? I only want it to show up on the first page, not the entire document.

Thank you.

------------------
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." -- Mr. Garrison on South Park

A:Excel Header placement

May I then suggest this workaround:

Take row one of the worksheet. Drag the row so that it is, say, 1" high. Using the drawing toolbar, click on the textbox tool and put your header above the data in row 1 using a textbox. You'll have to check print preview a couple times, I suppose, to make sure you've placed it properly.

~dreamboat~
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word http://www.brainbench.com

------------------
~dreamboat~
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
Brainbench

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-header-placement.37817/
Relevancy 41.71%

I have been building computers for years and never found a reason for the placement of the memory slots on a motherboard. If you look at a board that uses an Intel CPU, the slots used are1-3 and/or 2-4. If you look at a board that uses an AMD CPU however, the slots used are 1-2 and/or 3-4. Does anybody know why this is? No, I'm not trying to make a better motherboard, I'm just curious enough to finally ask.

Thanks for any info anyone can give.

A:Memory slot placement

'If you look at a board that uses an AMD CPU however, the slots used are 1-2 and/or 3-4.'

refer to the MSI K9N - which see;

http://www.bosamar.com/K9N/review.html

Dual channel with slots 1/3 or 2/4.

Assuming that you installed 2 Gb in 4 modules of dual channel ram and it is used from byte 0 to 2047 linearly, then assuming that the average 2 Gb ram install running XP uses about 50% of the Ram running avg8 (as example), you would get heating in ram modules 1 and 3 and none to speak of in 2 and 4.

Thus, heat separated components and better cooling.

My opinion.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-slot-placement.114983/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi,

I have just ordered the Logitech Z-5500 Speakers. I have read many comments about this set, and noticed that alot of people say that you have to keep the sub at least 60cm away from electronic devices, like CRT Monitors. I was just wondering if it would be safe to put it in the range of a printer, and if not, how would it actually effect it?

Thanks

A:Z-5500 speaker placement

It's not going to affect the printer...

Unless you like to really crank the woofer to where it's causing other things to vibrate uncontrollably nothing will happen. Sometimes audio devices like to interfere with 2.4Ghz wireless devices though so if you notice some static I might rearrange your setup to compensate.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/z-5500-speaker-placement.139797/
Relevancy 41.71%

I was trying to use the window placement commands found on the right click task bar menu, specifically "Show Windows Side by Side" and found that Google Chrome windows do not respond to the command. Problem does not occur with IE or Firefox. Anyone familiar with this behavior?

Example: If I have a Word window,a Chrome window and a Folder window open and select "Show Windows Side by Side" I get two windows (Word and Folder) with Chrome hidden behind them.

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/264824-chrome-window-placement.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hey everyone. I'm having a problem where the toolbar placement in Internet Explorer 7 keeps on resetting to its default settings whenever I close the window. This is a problem because, for example, the SiteAdvisor button keeps on being placed in its own row. I'd like to place it on the menu bar row, but every time I place it there, the placement is reset in any new IE window I open.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie7-toolbar-placement-keeps-on-resetting-194158.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Tech CMOS battery placement Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R G GV GL Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC Goldfish Antivirus McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled I reciently removed the RTC to check voltage and didn t notice CMOS battery placement polarity position in the vertical rack it goes into I installed it with the negative side facing right I havent noticed any problems I did look at motherboards online and an Asus website that only had an educated guess CMOS battery placement answer one stating right and another left Looking for some information and peace of mind Just spent an hour and a half more looking at motherboards and after blowing up as large as possible I noticed a casted into the upper and lower right hand plastic form that would probably hold the face of the battery off the contacts Still looking nbsp

A:CMOS battery placement

Hi CollinsMachine and welcome to TSG.

The battery holders are designed so the battery will only fit properly one way around so I think you're ok.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery-placement.1137999/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello. Due party to FIC's subpar online manual, I have
to ask if anyone out there has any direct experience with
either FIC or the AZ11 Socket A board. The goofy at best
online manual is not clear at all as to just where the pw wire
(both leds too) goes. My guess is the 3rd and 4th pins from top
on the right side of connector.

Anyone have an AZ 11 manual
-M

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fic-az11-pw-wire-placement.390492/
Relevancy 41.71%

Best Campus drive training programme in Coimbatore, placed last 12 years so best platform for job seekers to find the best Campus drive program for fresher. Campus placement in coimbatore

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158244.0.html
Relevancy 41.71%

in my first 2 slots i have 2x 512 mb sticks of ram in the second i have 2x 1gb sticks of ram is this ok?

Relevancy 41.71%

Hey, I've had a look around the net and found nothing so I'm guessing this isn't possible but I'll ask incase any of you have some tricks up your sleeves.

Is there any way I can "lock" file placements within a folder? The situation is basically a woman in my office needs her files in date order (but obviously when backups are restored etc, the creation date is changed so that isn't an option) so I have to manually place them myself to allow her to skim through looking for the correct dates.

Is there any way to guarantee the placement of these files will stay that way?

Thanks in advance.

Nicky.

A:File placement lock?

The order files are stored in a folder is determined by it's name and this cannot be changed. Windows Explorer allows you to show files sorted by name, date, size, etc. You cannot override this for specific files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-placement-lock-553500.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I want to create a home network:
modem - Motorola SB 6180, from COX Communication
router - ASUS RT-AC-66U
gigabit switch - TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 10/100/1000Mbps Unmanaged
printer - HP LaserJet Pro 200 color with ethernet port
2 desktops, each running Win 8 Prox64
Cat 6 cables.

Plan A:
Cat 6 cable from modem to router
Cat 6 cable from router to switch
Cat 6 cables from switch to printer and desktops

I think this will give me wifi for my laptop and good connection speed between computers and printer.
But I could be wrong........

Suggestions appreciated.

A:Network component placement

Just a comment on the modem selection. I have an SB6120 modem that simply flies. So, if the SB6180 is an improved version, I think you have made a great choice.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/28527-network-component-placement.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have an XPS 15 9550 with Windows 10. There is a feature I don't even know how it's called or if it's a Windows feature.
When trying to move a window, a hover appears that 'helps' place the window in an area of the screen. What is this feature and how does one turn it off?
Edit: It is not snap assist, I turned that feature off. Initially I added a screen print to the post, this time I attached it a .jpeg. Please check attachment.
I appreciate the suggestions.

A:XPS 15 window placement hover

Sounds like you're talking about "snap assist"?
Do a Google search on:
windows 10 disable snap assist
Good Luck!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19681408
Relevancy 41.71%

Does anyone know where Windows keeps track of your Icon placement on your desktop. I am wondering if it is stored in your user profile or in the Registry.

A:Desktop Icon placement

Maybe this will help. http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kb...Tips/Customization/SaveDesktopIconLayout.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-icon-placement.255308/