Windows Support Forum

"folder in use" warning preventing me from moving files

Q: "folder in use" warning preventing me from moving files

Hi I have a large music library on my laptop and recently I tried to clean it up delete doubles file properly and name files etc Unfortunately times out of when I try to move delete or re-name a file it comes up with an error warning me preventing from "folder use" moving files in msg stating the action cannot be completed because the file is open in another application It is completely intermittent in that I could perform whatever action on a file and it works then suddenly one wont but I can come back to it later and it "folder in use" warning preventing me from moving files will work then "folder in use" warning preventing me from moving files sometimes it wont let me do anything whatsoever or I can get a solid mins where I can do whatever I want There is nothing in the quot more details quot pull down menu the unlocker program I installed tells me there is no lock handle on the file and I cant find any programs running in the task manager that are obviously using music files I have no problems editing or moving photos documents or movies only music in the music library in the file manager any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: "folder in use" warning preventing me from moving files

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: "folder in use" warning preventing me from moving files

Both Itunes and Windows Media Player have "Music Servers" and you have to shut those off in the Program Prefs for each Program. If your Laptop is connected to any other computers through a LAN you may have your iTunes or WMP libraries shared with other systems, those have to be disconnected as well at both ends. I've got an Itunes Library and a Plex server spanning 3 machines, so I cant directly edit anything in my "Music" libraries, I can copy them out though.

One thing you can try, is disable your Network adapter on your laptop, wait about a minute, then try to access the files again, if your files are locked due to an external library, that should unlock em. And turn off any 'Sharing: prefs in WMP and iTunes (if installed).

If you have any other music app, like Foobar2000, you have to make sure that is turned off and not sharing as well. Also, Windows Media Center will also share your Library. With WMP and WMC, you can remove the shared folders from the libraries and that should free them up.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/34804-folder-use-warning-preventing-me-moving-files.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Wanted to resurrect an older thread but its closed http forums techguy org windows-xp -error-moving-file-folder-directory html Please read completely before responding I am a year IT pro most of it as a programmer I am the geek in charge of a tech non profit org in "directory not empty" is or folder" "Error file moving -- Hawaii www HawaiianHope org so yea i have at least half a clue Here is the deal In doing drive copies data recoveries etc when we are moving a mass amount of data from one drive to another we run into this problem a lot quot Error moving file or folder quot -- quot directory is not empty quot If you restart the move it will continue on "Error moving file or folder" -- "directory is not empty" and keep going restart enough times and eventually it will move all directories I think its a programming issue with windows and wonder if anyone has a work around I have a suspicion that the copy process is getting out of sequence That it is trying to move a folder before it actually emptied it Possibilities are windows forgot its place in moving through and navigating numerous sub directories and it is having a problem with recursive calls Computers with hyper threading or dual core processors are spawning the movement of files across multiple processes and some are getting ahead of the other It did actually move the file but the cache or something in memory has not updated or the full data write has not completed yet before it tried to move the directory delayed write Yes you can copy and then delete the old but that takes longer a LOT longer if the process crashes for any reason you have to start again Moving files ensures that you have everything you need the first time through Anyone else run into this problem and anyone know how to get MS to take a look I think i have seen others run into the same problem with Vista and as well with the same circumstances THANKS nbsp

A:"Error moving file or folder" -- "directory is not empty"

This is a known issue. It is by design.

As you may know, moving is in its essence an unsafe process. It would be better to use the actual sequence of copy and then delete.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-moving-file-or-folder-directory-is-not-empty.988967/
Relevancy 100.62%

I am running Windows on an iMac with VMware Fusion Everything was fine for three months Then slowly problems started showing up A notice would come up saying that Windows Explorer wasn t working and needed to close re-booted So far it is still only occasionally Then the screen size display began to change EVERY time Windows was restarted The change was to a different size not Computer" Windows "My 7, and in trash files "moving" each time changed it back It is getting to be a real pain Now the quot My Computer quot screen only works occasionally in the beginning I rebooted Now that doesn t help When it doesn t work - the box is mostly blank with a horizontal quot thermometer quot where Windows 7, files not "moving" in trash and "My Computer" the words quot my computer belong quot slowly moving across the top Even when the line is filled the quot my computer quot screen doesn t fill in When I do get a screen I am only able to move files or folders for a short time After that I get a square when clicked on says quot calculating quot Windows 7, files not "moving" in trash and "My Computer" - and it never finishes This happens with moving many or only two or three files I am also unable to Windows 7, files not "moving" in trash and "My Computer" click and highlight several random files with the control key held This also happens with the recycle bin I am unable to delete the files there I have a GHz Intel Core Duo with GB MHz I use three different registry cleaners had lots of problems before Windows and am not too happy with and a Malware program I have a software program that offers a repair feature on its disc Is there any chance that Windows offers this Please please can you solve any of these problems especially the file moving one I am so-o-o tired of having a computer with problems I started with ME so you know how bad things have been Thank you for any help you can give me - I m at my wits end TaliaGabby nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-files-not-moving-in-trash-and-my-computer.891820/
Relevancy 100.19%

Hi,

I have several icons/files from my "User" folder showing up in the "Computer" folder (several in duplicate), PLUS numerous blank icons...

This seems to have occurred after the Common Files folder became corrupted, after I somewhat riskily decided to power off while Vista was attempting to come out of Sleep mode - it had already taken about 3 mins and I was in a hurry - bad move, I know. That delay appears to have been due to an old version of Online Armor, and has now been fixed (by an update). Chkdsk scanned and (apparently) corrected some errors, and I also ran SFC which said it had corrected some errors but had also found some that it couldn't correct. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Icons/Files from "User" folder showing up in "Computer" folder

Hello Aster, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened may be able to fix it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261502-icons-files-user-folder-showing-up-computer-folder.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello I am getting the following error when moving files on the same drive or from one to another quot Error Moving File or Folder Cannot remove folder not "directory folder" file or one file left empty" moving "Error is insert folder name here The directory is not empty quot This is fairly common once or twice a month and it occurs usually with folders containing many subfolders when being moved by explorer gui quot Move the selected items quot or ctrl-x ctrl-v Repeated attempts through the same process seems to move the folders but the errors increase as the concentration of stubborn folders increases There are "Error moving file or folder" "directory is not empty" one file left no event viewer logs corresponding to these errors eventvwr msc system or application I would have thought this would be a common problem but extensive searches came up with nothing "Error moving file or folder" "directory is not empty" one file left so either it is rare untroubling to others extremely easy to fix or my search queries suck I am going to run Checkdisk to make sure all is well there and I will repost the likely failure nbsp

A:"Error moving file or folder" "directory is not empty" one file left

Occasionally when I am deleting a file, it is difficult, I have to go through process explorer, search for the thread that is strangely(?) associated with that file in explorer (no reasonable dependencies could be linked, nor is the file being viewed), and kill the thread before deletion.

any thoughts?

Thanks =)
-J

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-moving-file-or-folder-directory-is-not-empty-one-file-left.652638/
Relevancy 96.75%

HI, first of all, I found out that my home computer was infected by the lovelorn worm. Plan to clean that tonight.

Secondly, I found copies of 2 files named "folder" and "desktop" in almost all folders. The files where identical so I suspect that there is a virus that's propagating this. Is my hunch correct? Is this related to the lovelorn virus or is it another kind? What should I do?

Thanks!!!

A:files named "folder" & "desktop" in all directories.. is this a virus???

Symantec site you may want to review. I don't see anything about the file replication you are experiencing but the site may be helpful to you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-named-folder-desktop-in-all-directories-is-this-a-virus.146986/
Relevancy 95.03%

Okay, so apparently my "Programmer" folder on C:\ changed to "Program Files". I live in Denmark, so the system is danish. The folder "Program Files" used to be named "Programmer", but somehow it changed to "Program files". It is weird, becuase that my other x86 folder is still named "Programmer (86)". It's kinda annoying, please help me somebody!!!
Can anybody give me some tips and tricks, on how to rename it back?

I would be really happy!

THANKS!!!

A:The folder "Programmer" changed to "Program Files" HELP!!!

When i click "Rename" and i rename the folder to "Programmer", the folder automaticly renmaes itself to "Program Files"!!!
HEEELP

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/49521-folder-programmer-changed-program-files-help.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Without quotes, no extension. Anyone know what they are and if they're legit?

Thanks.

A:My c:\windows folder has a couple of strange files: "D" and "@#"

They dont see legit to me. Try to do a virus search. Otherwise i recommend factory reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/249637-my-c-windows-folder-has-couple-strange-files-do-u.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hey there. Whenever I go to Start>Documents, I can see the last 15 files that I have browsed. Is there a way to completely empty this folder and prevent the files you browse from ending up in it?

A:Is there a way from preventing the files you browse from going to the "Documents" ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-there-a-way-from-preventing-the-files-you-browse-from-going-to-the-documents.340553/
Relevancy 94.17%

Just recently in the past three or four day or so I have been receiving the following error when in explorer I attempt to drag a folder from one directory to another or when explorer found") in ("Item folder not Error moving/renaming when I attempt to rename a folder either inline or through the properties dialog Code quot Item not found quot Could not find this item This is no longer located in original directory Verify the item's location and try again name of folder I'm trying to move Date created etc Try again Cancel When I press the quot Try Again quot button the folder and its contents move where they're supposed to without issue Notably I receive a new error for every subfolder and although there is a quot do this for the next x items quot checkbox available it doesn't work Error ("Item not found") when moving/renaming folder in explorer So when moving an individual folder with no subfolders or when renaming a folder it's a minor annoyance When moving say a gb music folder containing hundreds of subfolders between drives it's a significant nuisance I have no such issue when preforming the comparable actions with quot MOVE quot in the Error ("Item not found") when moving/renaming folder in explorer command prompt by the way Anyone know anything about this Your ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated Thanks I'm running Windows recently updated on a Thinkpad T if that helps

A:Error ("Item not found") when moving/renaming folder in explorer

Where are you moving the files to which directory, which drive? How much space is lift on the drive you are moving the files to? Try copying the files then pasting them or drag and drop them. Also try moving the files in chunks not in big segments of 10GB or more. Perform a CHKDSK /F on all drives.
Go to "Start" type in CMD located CMD.exe right click on CMD.exe then select "Run As Administrator" at the command prompt type in then hit enter...

Code:
CHKDSK /F
type in Y for yes then manually reboot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/error-item-not-found-when-moving-renaming-folder-in-explorer-644203.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hello I've been having some problems with my computer since some weeks ago I decided to change my Document folder from C to D drive since I had games taking too much place into it I created a new folder in my D drive and moved the folder there by using the move method of the folder Since I did that I had some problems with games browsers It was okay at first but now I can't load pages like quot Google Youtube facebook and others quot into Google Chrome amp Moving Documents" Chrome with folder, problem "My Firefox/Google Firefox And I can't download new addons on Chrome It won't load it at all I found a way to get them by using a Portable version of Firefox Google Chrome but every day I have to delete reinstall the portable version cause it won't load them anymore And today the portable version got really slow almost unusable I'm guessing since most of my programs were already installed It caused a problem to them by moving My Documents folder and I'm not sure if there's a way to resolve this problem My computer is actually not English so If I need screenshot or anything else I'll translate them

A:Moving "My Documents" folder, problem with Firefox/Google Chrome

Move that folder back; simply make shortcuts to the subdirectories you need. And, "tell" your programs to save their created and modified data files in D. You can parallel My Documents, have a double on D, copy everything from that C to D. Leave the defaults belonging to Windows OS and programs as, that's my suggestion

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/370547-moving-my-documents-folder-problem-firefox-google-chrome.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Hello all Let me start of by saying that I have followed this tutorial User Folders - Restore Default Location and have not had results Additionally I have hard drives An SSD solely for the Windows OS and an HDD for everything else I'm having issues trying to restore the My Documents folder to factory settings I did something stupid I know it's shame on me here and tried to re-route the My Documents folder to my HDD from my SSD because my SSD has considerably less memory I did this by following a tutorial from the Microsoft website Needless to say I default "My after Documents" of folder? Restoring location moving dern ed up and accidentally routed the My Documents folder to BE my HDD as in E instead of the intended E My Documents folder which I didn't want to do The folder then quot disappeared quot but still existed somewhere in the computer I then spoke to a Microsoft support rep who then proceeded to dig the hole deeper by remotely accessing my desktop and fiddling Restoring default location of "My Documents" after moving folder? with the registry Now the contents of the My Documents folder exist in my HDD default directory E and a makeshift My Documents folder exists in the Library section How can I just undo this whole mess and restore the My Documents folder to its factory conditions including the files that were originally stored in said folder SOS I'm about to tear my hair out here Disastrox

A:Restoring default location of "My Documents" after moving folder?

I have always been able to restore any misdirected or lost User folders by following those steps in User Folders - Restore Default Location - Windows 7 Forums.

Exactly what problem are you having when you follow those steps?

If you can't find the actual Shell User folder which should be under your User name, in order to relocate it correctly using it's Location tab as shown in Optiona One, then use Option Two to reconstruct the folder itself.

If by following those steps precisely you still cannot recover the User folder, then ask for more help from the author in the tutorial Comments section, or post back here the exact problem with pictures if possible. Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/368489-restoring-default-location-my-documents-after-moving-folder.html
Relevancy 93.74%

I'd like to move my user files to a different drive, so that when i boot up to XP or Vista the same files are available on a seperate partition.

I have been able to move all the Vista one to my C: drive (XP) and its ok, but im running out of space and want to put the stuff on E:. I cant figure out how to make XP look to E:\Username\Desktop for its desktop files.

Any help would be great - i know its probably simple and ive just beat about the bush as usual.

A:Solved: Moving "Documents and Settings" folder to another location

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-moving-documents-and-settings-folder-to-another-location.692554/
Relevancy 93.31%

I have googled extensively to try to figure this out, but I don't know the correct terminology to ask this without being extremely verbose, so here goes...
You know that box that always appears right in the middle of the screen, blocking all future progress until your files or folders have finished being moved/copied/deleted, etc? (or until you pull it aside while muttering curses because you've had to move it AGAIN for the millionth time) Is there a way to make that appear in a different place by default? (ie the lower left or right corner of the screen, or ANYWHERE that's not right in the middle of what you're trying to see?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:How do I move the default position of "coping files/moving files" note

As far as I can work out - it's no bother to simply minimize the window?

Also depending on how many windows you've got open and are working on - just press ALT+TAB to switch windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/337744-how-do-i-move-default-position-coping-files-moving-files-note.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Today I started my computer and when I reached the desktop this little message popped up: File name warning. There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "C:\Program1" would solve this problem. Would you like to rename it now?

I have never seen this before and I do not have a folder called "C:\Program". Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:I get a file name warning for some folder called "C:\Program" ?

Have you scanned your PC for malware?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/250572-i-get-file-name-warning-some-folder-called-c-program.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi I am attempting to relocate the Users folder from C to D these are physically distinct internal TB drives Moving "User" preinstalled when 8 folder Win as par of a new clean install of Windows on a new laptop I am following the tutorial here User Profiles - Relocate Moving "User" folder when Win 8 preinstalled to another Partition or Disk The problem I face is at the stage of creating an answer file for the Sysprep tool Windows is preinstalled and there is no separate installation media - rather it boots reinstalls off a petition on Moving "User" folder when Win 8 preinstalled the C drive Hnce I cannot run the unattend file command line Moving "User" folder when Win 8 preinstalled lt cpifflineImage cpi source quot wim F sources install wim Windows quot xmlns cpi quot urn schemas-microsoft-com cpi quot gt Where F would be a CD drive or USB drive I have tried creating recovery media on a USB stick using the HP utility but while this works there appears to be no directory structure or file comparable to that listed above Indeed there seems to be no install wim file anywhere As I am told pre-installs are very common on Win laptops mine is an HP Envy -j tx I assume there is an alternative approach but I can't find it Any help or pointers gratefully received Thanks JGG PS As to why I want to move the Users folder - I have XP set up like this on my old desktop and it makes for a far saner directory structure easier backup and if one needs to reinstall Windows it makes for a much cleaner simpler process as User information is preserved on a separate disk Also one is much less likely to run out of disk space

A:Moving "User" folder when Win 8 preinstalled

Take a look here:
User Folders - Change Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/30986-moving-user-folder-when-win-8-preinstalled.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Just tried to move my son s Matthew quot My Documents quot folder to a new internal hard drive as have run out of space on main drive This hasn t worked properly and I m not sure what to do next - I don t want to make things worse Would be grateful for advice please I first backed up his quot My Docs quot folder to an external drive gone Documents" not wrong sure do what to - Folder "My has Moving then followed Microsoft s instructions How to change the default location of the My Documents folder which were as follows - Click Start Right click My Documents then click Properties Click Target tab In the Target box I typed M Matthew MyDocuments M being the new drive I clicked Yes to create folder then clicked OK Moving "My Documents" Folder has gone wrong - not sure what to do and the files started transferring Moving "My Documents" Folder has gone wrong - not sure what to do After a short while an error message appeared saying something couldn t be moved because a program was in use which it wasn t as far as I Moving "My Documents" Folder has gone wrong - not sure what to do could tell I clicked ok then I think nothing else happened In view of the time it took I assumed that there had only been a partial move I looked in the new location to see what had been moved and what the size was as I knew his quot My Docs quot folder was approx Gb The folder was only Gb with a few random folders files in I then explored the folder structure and looked at the size of quot My Docs quot from different perspectives I can t think of the right word and this is what I found I assumed that the size would be consistent On the C main drive On Start Menu - My Docs Gb Start - My Comp - My Docs Gb Start - My Comp - Documents and Settings - Matthew Gb was before this move Gb which I assume is Gb minus the Gb that has been moved On the M new drive which was the target location for the move My Docs Gb First of all I was surprised to find only Gb on the new drive and in the location from where I moved My Docs I obviously expected it to be Gb if the move was successful Would the My Docs folder the source of the move have had Gb in and somehow most of it has been deleted Should the My Docs folder from wherever it can be found within the folder structure of the system be exactly the same size ie Gb Or will it vary as seems to be the case I m not sure what to do now and I don t want to make things any worse I would be really grateful for some help if you can make sense of anything I ve said I know I ve rambled a bit I have got a very angry son on my hands nbsp

A:Moving "My Documents" Folder has gone wrong - not sure what to do

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-my-documents-folder-has-gone-wrong-not-sure-what-to-do.884648/
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi,

I need to move my "Favourites" folder (including "Favourites Bar") to a new location (in My Documents).
Can you advise how I can then "point" IE 8 to look to the new folder for the data. I use Windows 7.
T

A:Moving "Favourites" folder in IE8

Hi see if the info here can help please be sure to read first IE8-Favourites - Changing Storage location

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/moving-favourites-folder-in-ie8-637912.html
Relevancy 90.73%

In Document" "My folder Moving Moldiman s Guide to Reinstall of Windows he had this to say in his post of -Sep- at PM quot Everyone says to make a backup copy of your critical files which is a good idea because if you make the wrong choice i e a fresh install you do lose your documents For this reason I ALWAYS have two logical partitions on my main drive and I move the Documents and Settings and the My Documents to the second partition i e the one without the OS As such there is no way that I d ever lose any data no matter what happened to the OS If the OS cannot be repaired the chances are still excellent you can get Moving "My Document" folder to all your files on the other partition barring a complete hard drive failure of Moving "My Document" folder course I have had several instances where I could not get a drive to boot nor could I repair windows but I could get to the files using it as a slave drive quot Great idea I don t have two logical partitions on my main drive However I do have two logical drives on my second drive which I call my quot Data Drive quot Can the Documents and Settings and the My Documents be moved to the Data Drive If so how If not how can they be moved to the second partition of the main drive Thanx nbsp

Relevancy 90.73%

I am trying to move the appdata folder for the user "TOM"

When i sign in as TOM, and i try to change the location of the folder, i get a warning the files are in use and the operation is cancelled.

When i sign in as an admin, the option to move the appdata for TOM is no longer available.

how do i move this data

A:moving "appdata" folder

I suggest that you not try to move a system folder that some of your programs are using.

Is there some particular reason that you wish to move the appdata folder?

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/170142-moving-appdata-folder.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I am having a errors find this when item" moving files not "Could random very strange problem and hope someone can help me out with it If i try to cut and paste a file or folder i receive the following error It started doing this after i applied a update to net from windows update After i did that i started getting this ------------------ Item Not Found Could not find this item this is no longer located in Insert path here Verify the item's location and try again Insert file name folder name here Type Size Date modified Try Again Cancel ------------------ If i select cancel nothing happens which random "Could not find this item" errors when moving files is normal no error there But if i select try again the file or folder is moved Also if i choose to create a new folder and try to change the name from 'new folder' to 'a' for example i also get the could not find this item error If i then select try again the folder is then renamed Even stranger is that this happening seemingly at random for instance i can cut paste files from my desktop to anywhere else with no problem BUT even on my desktop the error comes up when renaming a new folder I would like to point out that i am running windows x i am the only user making me the system admin user account amp indexing is turned off Never seen windows do this before and even running a full virus scan avast and running CCleaner have not helped Running chkdsk exe does not find anything wrong with the drive either For now i have resorted to copy paste then delete the originals when done Why would i have to push 'try again' just to rename a folder or cut and paste some files Anyone care to take a stab

A:random "Could not find this item" errors when moving files

Boot in to safe mode by tapping the F8 button while you see the machine name logo splash screen. Select Safe mode login then try copying and pasting files again or renaming them. Do you get the same results?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/random-could-not-find-this-item-errors-when-moving-files-637970.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Hello, I just made an account here because this bug is seriously bugging me. It shows up whenever I move or create any new files/folders.

I have googled the registry fix and that doesn't seem to be working. Is there any other known fix?

P.S. There is nothing wrong with Waterfox.

A:"Item not found" bug when moving or renaming files/folders

I would be very worried about Waterfox if a registry fiddle dumb has to be used to get it to work properly. If it was my computer I would remove all of it and wait for Mozilla to get it fixed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/240669-item-not-found-bug-when-moving-renaming-files-folders.html
Relevancy 90.3%

The title says it partially, but that's not the whole story:

I decided to use OneDrive, and so I sent a folder from my external Toshiba drive to OneDrive. It took forever and three days to finish, and seemingly isn't finished yet.

I now get, File Failed to Upload -- There was an error while uploading a file to the server. Click to view and resolve the error.

Ha! I wish I could do something that simple, but it's not gonna happen! Nothing I do will help to resolve the error.

I've looked into the event log and everything there is all Greek to me; I've seen 1002 (101) Application Hang (among a few gazillion other things), but it doesn't tell me more than that.

I've resigned myself to losing files that haven't made it across, since I have most of them on another external drive, but it seems I can't stop whatever's happening.

Here's the first page of the viewer:

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/60812-moving-files-onedrive-i-get-file-failed-upload.html
Relevancy 90.3%

sometimes when moving or copying files Vista gets stuck at "calculating time"(or something like that). I am now using "gecko manager" for file managing just to get a faster way to manage files in vista.
I don't know the reason behind this "time calculation" in file management but is there a way to disable this useless feature in vista?

A:How To Disable "Calculating Time" when Copying/moving files?

Hello there is a hotfix for that problem i believe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770

have a look here please

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-disable-calculating-time-when-copying-moving-files.679326/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi. Im running Windows 7 64bit and every time I move or delete a file, I get the "could not find item" message, but the tasks still performs successfully. Any ideas?

Relevancy 90.3%

I have an XP Home Edition computer with GB hard drive Currently I have partitioned it as GB System Drive GB Profile partition GB Programs partition and the remainder for shares Now what I m wanting to do is move the Program files over to the Programs parition without breaking any I realize this means editing registry entries and shortcuts to reflect the new location a daunting task for sure So I am wondering if there was an easier way to accomplish this I realize I could mount the volumn as a folder on the C drive which would require copying everything out of the Program Files folder mounting then Copying everything back I kinda want "Program and Files" moving profiles user to avoid a simple mounting and have a distinct drive for the program files but will mount the volumn as a folder if i have to I also find that I can easily move the My Documents folder to the partition I have set aside for that which eventually I will do But moving "Program Files" and user profiles I moving "Program Files" and user profiles d like to know if it s possible to move more than just the My Documents folder and move everything under the Documents and Settings folder over nbsp

A:moving "Program Files" and user profiles

What you want to do is going to be a lot of work but alas it is easier than you think. You should have all of the install programs for everything on your computer. What you want to do first is backup all of your important data - not the programs just the data. When this is done you do a full re-install of Windows to the drive C:.

Next step is to install your programs to the drive you have designated for programs and also make a Program Files directory first.

As for the profile partition all you do is leave the profiles where they go as Windows want to put them. Make the partition that you wanted for profiles a data partition and make a directory there for Data Files. Or something you want to call it.

I do the same thing with my computer and it i s easier to back up and restore.

When you are done getting it the way you want then use Acronis True Image on all of the drives so if something happens you just restore the image and if you do have to restore it only takes about 20 minutes instead of three days or more the other way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-program-files-and-user-profiles.488543/
Relevancy 89.87%

Code Destination Folder Access Denied ------------------------------------ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder lt Folder Sub-Folder Name gt Date created lt Creation Date gt ------------------------------------ Continue Skip Cancel I get this dialog files whenever I try to modify copy delete or edit contents modifying folder when Access Program "Destination Folder Denied" Files of the quot C Program Files quot folder or its sub folders When I click the Continue button everything goes on fine without any problem Some programs give write errors when I try to modify a file inside Program Files with them e g Notepad gives write error when I try to edit a text file inside one of "Destination Folder Access Denied" when modifying Program Files folder the sub-folders of the Program Files folder I'm the only user on this computer and I'm already the administrator who installed this Windows There is no other OS installed on this machine This problem has been occurring for a long time At first I ignored it but later it started to became bothersome I don't remember how have it started or what had I done before it first appeared What can I do to stop Windows showing me this dialog box I want to freely modify contents of any directory in my computer This is a home computer I have no social privacy concerns OS Windows Ultimate x SP Up-to-date

A:"Destination Folder Access Denied" when modifying Program Files folder

You could try disabling UAC.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/278361-destination-folder-access-denied-when-modifying-program-files-folder.html
Relevancy 89.87%

hello This site helped me cure my Laptop in the past and now I am in the process of aiding a friend whose IE is being hijacked to a suspected Anti-malware site for a product known as quot Ultimate Cleaner quot He also keeps getting repetative pop-ups for an alleged virus known as quot Worm Win NetSky quot which redirects you again to an unknown site here is his HJT log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v BETA Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe Cleaner "Ultimate HJT and warning for "Worm.Win32.NetSky" hijacking browser log 2007" C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system HJT log for "Ultimate Cleaner 2007" browser hijacking and "Worm.Win32.NetSky" warning lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files HPQ Quick Launch Buttons EabServr exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files HPQ HP Wireless Assistant HP Wireless Assistant exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Hp HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files HPQ shared hpqwmi exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Documents and Settings Chris Desktop Hijacked HiJackThis v HiJackThis v exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http softwarereferral com jump php wmid amp mid MjI Ojg amp lid R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - Toolbar no name - BF - F - - - FE E AA - no file O - Toolbar Windows Live Toolbar - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - Toolbar The sdrmod - DACEEB- BAE- D - B-D C B A - C WINDOWS sdrmod dll O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run eabconfg cpl C Program Files HPQ Quick Launch Buttons EabServr exe Start O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run hpWirelessAssistant quot ProgramFiles HPQ HP Wireless Assistant HP Wireless Assistant exe quot O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system ... Read more

A:HJT log for "Ultimate Cleaner 2007" browser hijacking and "Worm.Win32.NetSky" warning

Welcome to TSG

Please download SmitfraudFix

Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hjt-log-for-ultimate-cleaner-2007-browser-hijacking-and-worm-win32-netsky-warning.650795/
Relevancy 89.44%

Does anyone know how to stop XP from automatically creating these two folders each time I reboot, or at least creating them somewhere other than my documents? The pc is on my LAN at work.

Thanks

A:Preventing autocreation of "My ebooks" and "My Pictures"

Here's a possible fix, but it entails tweaking the registry. http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=2572

My understanding is that the folders keep getting recreated (after deletion) by _other_ software when it's installed; I assume something like Photoshop would have language referencing the My Pictures folder, for example.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/preventing-autocreation-of-my-ebooks-and-my-pictures.318072/
Relevancy 88.58%

Every time I move or copy any file from one folder to another on my local computer not over a network I get the following quot Windows Security quot warning quot These files might be harmful to your computer your internet security settings suggest that one or more files may be harmful do you want to use it anyway quot I've Googled the message and in every instance it only occurred when someone was moving files across a network and the solution was to add the IP address of to harmful might files computer" warning "These be your the other machine server to the Local Intranet Zone http M FtC I've haven't seen anyone who has had this problem when simply moving files from one folder to another on the same local hard drive Any suggestions Things "These files might be harmful to your computer" warning I've tried Resetting IE Security Setting to default levels Turning UAC on off Turning Windows Firewall on off Resetting IE I changed every IE security setting to be exactly the same as another computer which is NOT getting this message

A:"These files might be harmful to your computer" warning

Does the files contain files which have been downloaded from a network before? I ask this because by default files downloaded by the internet will be 'blocked'

To unblock right click the file then click on properties > Unblock

Josh!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/296647-these-files-might-harmful-your-computer-warning.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I have run webroot antivirus with antispyware several times Every time I do it finds the same virus sometimes others with similar names This is from the latest scan Mal EncPk-CZ Troj FakeAle-FK and some cookies However often I quarantine them they reappear on the next scan and I also can't get the desktop to go back to its normal appearance it's gone white with a big warning as above and refers to win adware virtumonde win privacyremover M having been detected on my computer I have gone through the steps This is the active scan log ANALYSIS - - PROTECTIONS MALWARE SUSPECTS PROTECTIONS Description Version Active Updated Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware Yes Yes MALWARE Id Description Type Active Severity Disinfectable Disinfected Location Cookie Doubleclick TrackingCookie "Warning! Can't your on get detected rid and "Troj/FakeAle-FK" Spyware of Computer!" No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am doubleclick txt Cookie FastClick TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am fastclick txt Cookie Tribalfusion TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am tribalfusion txt Cookie Mediaplex TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am mediaplex txt Cookie Xiti TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am xiti txt Cookie Statcounter TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am statcounter txt Cookie YieldManager TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am ad yieldmanager txt Cookie Apmebf TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am apmebf txt Cookie Advertising TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am advertising txt Cookie Smartadserver TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am smartadserver txt Exploit LoadPdf HackTools No Yes No personal folders junk e-mail credit report debt Can't get rid of "Troj/FakeAle-FK" and "Warning! Spyware detected on your Computer!" pdf Trj Spammer ADX Virus Trojan No Yes No archive folders deleted items you have card ecard zip eCard scr Trj Sinowal VRR Virus Trojan No Yes No personal folders deleted items tracking n fedx-retr zip Fedx-retr exe SUSPECTS Sent Location No C i GTDownDE ocx VULNERABILITIES Id Severity Description And this is the hijack this log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ZcfgSvc exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DVDLauncher exe C Program Files Dell Media Experience DMXLauncher exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin XConfig exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C Program Files Symantec Norton Ghost Agent GhostTray exe C Program Files Dell Photo AIO Printer dlbxmon exe C WINDOWS system lphc nvj e f exe C Program Files Webroot Desktop Firewall WDF exe C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeperUI exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files DellSupport DSAgnt exe C Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNSCFG exe C Program Files Bin... Read more

A:Can't get rid of "Troj/FakeAle-FK" and "Warning! Spyware detected on your Computer!"

Hi Henry

Disable SpySweeper's realtime protection. Open Spysweeper and click on Options
Choose Program Options and uncheck
load at windows
startup
On the left click
shields
and then uncheck everything.
Uncheck
home page shield
Uncheck
automatically restore default without notification
Exit the program.

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should see a blue screen prompt that says:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

Please continue as follows:
Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix, link
Remember to re-enable them afterwards.

Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include the following reports for further review, and so we may continue cleansing the system:

C:\ComboFix.txt
New HijackThis log.

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/cant-get-rid-of-troj-fakeale-fk-and-warning-spyware-detected-on-your-computer-283408.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I ve run SuperAntiSpyware Wizard" "Sys Pop-ups "Security & Integrity System Scan Warning" Ad-Aware SpyBot and Norton which removed some trojan files and registry items but I m still getting pop-ups quot Security System Warning quot and quot System Integrity Scan Wizard quot Below is my HiJackThis log Thanks in advance Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v "Sys Integrity Scan Wizard" & "Security System Warning" Pop-ups SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System "Sys Integrity Scan Wizard" & "Security System Warning" Pop-ups smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exe C Program Files Common "Sys Integrity Scan Wizard" & "Security System Warning" Pop-ups Files Symantec Shared AppCore AppSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS system cisvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL VAIO VEDB Binn sqlservr exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system cryptainersrv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Event Service VESMgr exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VCSW VCSW exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzCdbSvc exe C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data kfsnolql ynynormr exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzFw exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Power Management SPMgr exe C Program Files Sony ISB Utility ISBMgr exe C WINDOWS Logi MwX Exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Plaxo PlaxoHelper exe C WINDOWS system clghcnev exe C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger ymsgr tray exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Product Assistant bin hprblog exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C PROGRA MOZILL FIREFOX EXE C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http softwarereferral com jump php wmid amp mid MjI Ojg amp lid R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www sony com vaiopeople R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www sony com vaiopeople R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - URLSearchHook AOLSearchHook Class - EB EA-E BE- CFD- F F-C A C EAFA - C Program Files AOL AOL Search Enhancement AOLSearch dll R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO ... Read more

A:"Sys Integrity Scan Wizard" & "Security System Warning" Pop-ups

Hi Welcome to TSG!!
Please visit this webpage for instructions for downloading and running ComboFix.

Post the log from ComboFix when you've accomplished that, along with a new HijackThis log.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sys-integrity-scan-wizard-security-system-warning-pop-ups.699730/
Relevancy 87.72%

I set this Windows computer up wrong more than a year ago and have just lived with it but I am wanting to use an online backup service and want my files to be in a standard place just in case files for set all folder Documents folder "Contacts" as Mistakenly When I moved my files from my previous computer the first thing I did was create a separate partition on my new computer drive quot Mistakenly set "Contacts" folder as Documents folder for all files R quot I meant to then put everything in the quot Documents quot folder and locate it on the quot R quot partition I had it set up this way on the previous computer using Vista Somehow I got befuddled and they all went in the quot Contacts quot folder correctly located on quot R quot but incorrectly identified I think when I moved them from the default location on the quot C quot drive to the new partition on quot R quot I must have gotten trigger happy and hit the wrong folder button or something I don't quite remember Fixing it is not as simple as using the quot Location quot tab in the quot Properties quot dialog for quot Contacts quot I want Mistakenly set "Contacts" folder as Documents folder for all files to leave all my folders on the quot R quot drive I just want them to be in quot Documents quot not quot Contacts quot I'm afraid if I simply rename quot Contacts quot to quot Documents quot or move them manually that will break all links to programs big and small such as Word Dropbox iTunes etc Screen shots below And yes the quot Contacts quot folder inside my quot Contacts quot directory does contain MS Exchange contact files If someone can help me tidy up this mess I would REALLY appreciate it Unless you think I should just continue to live with it and save myself hours of frustration

A:Mistakenly set "Contacts" folder as Documents folder for all files

Hello Druekberg,

It'll be a bit of work, but you should be able to use OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to restore the default locations of any affected user folders. Be sure to back up the contents of the folders to another location first to be safe.

User Folders - Restore Default Location

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/318850-mistakenly-set-contacts-folder-documents-folder-all-files.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi all So I'm kind of stuck I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of quot loading files quot - gt quot Windows Boot Manager quot see How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows The Easy Way I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load I also end up at a OneKey Recovery as well unfortunately the laptop does not have initial backup or user backup Manager" -> files Boot ..." "Loading "OneKey" "Windows -> images I have a Windows CD for repairing purposes however I cannot load the BIOS UEFI to change "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" the boot order to load the optical drives first I have also tried to remove the CMOS battery to fix it did not work Also - Windows "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" Boot Manager Windows Setup EMS Enabled -- does not load properly leads to OneKey Recovery Safe Mode does not load properly Safe Mode with Networking does not load properly Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't load - tries to boot and load all files onto partition that is too small can't change partition Enable Boot Logging Enable Low-Resolution Video Debugging MOde Disable automatic restart on system failure Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Display Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver Start Windows Normally Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55670-loading-files-windows-boot-manager-onekey.html
Relevancy 85.57%

i've been relying on going to "internet options","general" and "delete" then ticking all the boxes on that page..i found out that by doing this,my temporary internet file swere NOT being deleted.is this a vista problem? my pc came to a complete sludge of a slow down today and i found that my internet files folder had files going back a year that hadn't been deleted as i've been relying on ticking those boxes..i had tons and tons of and tons of files.i'm wondering if this is the norm and also is it possible that other files are not being deleted when using that method? if so,then i probably have folders that are totally loaded with trash.

A:Solved: Had to delete temp internet files by "view files" ,"select all" ,"delete"

Have you ever unticked Preserve Favorites website data?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-had-to-delete-temp-internet-files-by-view-files-select-all-delete.1029591/
Relevancy 85.57%

I have a program that uses it's own library. The path to this library can't be changed, and it's inside the "Program Files" folder. And the software itself has to be installed inside "Program Files" too, otherwise it won't work correctly (it's a new release and still a bit buggy).

Now, when I add something to this library, it's supposed to be present in the library folder. BUT Win 7 doesn't show me any files that have been created by programs inside the "Program Files" folder. The folder where the new library is supposed to be is empty. But the library is there inside the program, so it has to be somewhere.

Now, how am I supposed to backup those files if I can't access them?

Please help!

A:How to display files inside "Program Files" folder?

The program you are using is broken. You should ask the developer to fix it.
In reality the program is really accessing the file in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/102099-how-display-files-inside-program-files-folder.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Through IE Properties, the "Temporary Internet Files" folder cannot be emptied, neither by going directly to the folder.
It says "No Objects" although the properties from the folder show 10.000 objects and 600 MB size!!!

What could be the reason?

A:Files of "Temporary Internet Files" folder cannot be deleted

hi

try to right click on it and press cut the delete

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/files-of-temporary-internet-files-folder-cannot-be-deleted.29935/
Relevancy 85.57%

In windows XP, if you go into program files, and go near the bottom, you will see a folder call "xerox" and if you try to delete it is says that one of the folders inside it (dont remember name) is in use by another user.

Why is this? I have seen this folder in EVERY computer with windows XP

A:What is with the "xerox" folder in the Programs Files folder?

It is the program file for a internet faxing service

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-is-with-the-xerox-folder-in-the-programs-files-folder.189706/
Relevancy 85.14%

Ok, so basically, whenever I turn the computer on, 3 error messages appear:

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee.exe

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee1.exe

- Error loading H:/Archiv~/GBPLUG~/gbiehcef.dll. Couldn't find specific module.

(sorry if some terms are incorrect, my computer is in Spanish, to I tried to translate as best as possible)

Please help me solve this terrible problem, it is really getting me on my nerves! (oh, and if this helps, I've recently donwloaded this so called "Limewire acceleration", and whenever I ran the setup, it didn't work. I don't really remember the name of the website I downloaded it from, sorry...)

A:Can't Open "My Documents", "Trash" or other files in "My Computer"!?

Hi and Welcome to the forum

I am almost certain that you have malware problems. Most like caused by you doing file sharing/ P2P - Limewire.

Suggest that you go here and follow the directions:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

Please be advised that the malware people are very busy and it could take a couple days to assist you.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-my-documents-trash-or-other-files-in-my-computer-288056.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

A:Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders

closing thread, please do not create more than one thread for the same issue. Please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html .

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003510/
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

Your files and folders may have been hidden by the virus, go to folder options and 'show hidden files and folder' to see if they actually are hidden. If they are, you can use Grindler's UnHide tool to 'unhide' all of your files and folders. As for the virus, move this thread to the virus and other malware removal forum in order for it to be noticed by an authorised malware removal member.
Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003509/
Relevancy 84.71%

I added a slave drive to my Windows XP Pro computer and it appears to work properly However when I open the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive E which is Windows XP Home Edition Slave Folder Settings" Solved: drive Denied" "Access and on "Documents -- not XP Pro I do not see any of my documents sub-folders etc There should be MANY sub-folders inside the quot My Documents quot folder which isn t even visible with hundreds of documents jpgs etc Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder within it When that drive is installed as the Primary drive in my other computer the User quot Larry Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder quot which is me has all Administrative privileges On the computer that I m running now with the slave drive in it I also have Administrator privileges I own both computers My User Name quot Larry quot is password-protected when I login to Windows when the drive is Primary and installed into my main computer not this computer with XP Pro I ve tried clicking on all the users Administrator Default User Larry Guest etc Note I get an quot Access Denied quot error when clicking on the Guest quot Documents and Settings quot folder So the questions are Why can t I see any files or subdirectories in the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive There s supposed to be a folder named quot My Documents quot but I can t find it Normally that path is quot C Documents and Settings My Documents quot --- Where is that folder It contains all the files I m looking for Do I have to put the drive back into the other computer and then change something before putting it into this computer or can I change something in this computer to access the folders I m really confused Old Fart Larry nbsp

A:Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder

Follow the directions here to take ownership of a file or folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-access-denied-on-documents-and-settings-folder.935997/
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop Also My Start Menu is empty I can t locate any of programs or documents a Right clicking and going to windows explorer I could only view quot My Computer quot quot Windows C and when I click on them they contain few irrelevant files In other words I can t find my personal saved documents quot my document quot folder recycle bin and all other programs My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet However I can open a microsoft office file PDF files if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive I can save files on my new blank desktop I presume this is a virus attack Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do AFTER FOLLOWING SOME ADVICE I AM BEGINNING TO GET Documents" folder erased. Locate and "My Menu" Can't folders "Start Desktop SOME OF Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders MY FILES BACK BUT MY START PROGRAM FOLDERS ARE ALL EMPTY For example when i click the microsoft office folder it is empty HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS VIRUS PLEASE Thanking you in advance nbsp

closing duplicate, please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html . Please do not create duplicate threads for the same issue.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003517/
Relevancy 84.71%

Is it okay to delete the contents of the "Unallocated Files and Folders" folder from the D:\ Drive? Or should I go through and makes sure that I don't need anything first? (What is the folder for, anyway? I know it has something to do with backup and recovery.)

A:[SOLVED] Is it okay to delete contents of the "Unallocated Files and Folders" folder?

Does anyone have a suggestion, at least?

Thanks,
DaveRB97

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-is-it-okay-to-delete-contents-of-the-and-quot-unallocated-files-and-folders-and-quot-folder-663737.html
Relevancy 84.28%

This all started when I recently had some malwares viruses roaming around my laptop one day I had managed to get rid of it Taking does nothing Inaccessible, Files" "Program Folder ownership all but it left my Direct Console useless I have an ASUS G- V Vista Premium -bit I've tried reinstalling it and it just wouldn't load no error message or anything it did show up on taskmanager "Program Files" Folder Inaccessible, Taking ownership does nothing but "Program Files" Folder Inaccessible, Taking ownership does nothing no window appeared So trying to find a solution on google I ended up installing net Framework However after restarting i started getting a ton of error messages about files in the Program Files folder and then I realized it had just completely disappeared rather all the files inside disappeared First the error messages said the folder was quot corrupt and unreadable quot I navigated to the folder and tried clicking it which then another error message popped up saying quot Access is denied quot I tried almost every solution I found on google changing ownership and such but "Program Files" Folder Inaccessible, Taking ownership does nothing I still cannot open the folder Moreover I cannot repair or uninstall any program that is or has been in the Program Files which I'm assuming has to do with the permission issues I noticed this when I ran the setup for Direct Console and tried to repair it only giving me an error saying quot The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file C Program Files x ASUS OvClk dll quot But this also makes no sense to me as this is the x program files folder which I can access I checked both of the folders and TrustedInstaller has ownership to both of them Edit - I just checked the ASUS folder inside my Program Files x where the only group assigned to it for security is quot Everyone quot and it had no access whatsoever I would like to know if there is any possible way to fix this and if the files inside the folder are still there as this is very frustrating to deal with Most of my ASUS programs were in the Program Files including the hotkey manager is really useful to me Thanks a lot In case you need to know As for the what I did to deal with malwares and viruses I mentioned before I did install Malwarebytes on another computer with updated definitions and loaded it on a flash drive here removing whatever malwares it found Even after this though and this has been a consistent problem mbam exe would disappear after installing Malwarebytes regularly on my own laptop Thinking there was some virus or other malware laying around that it didn't pick up I downloaded and installed AVG I updated it and full scanned which found more viruses and did fix the issue of mbam exe disappearing after install At this point I installed Malwarebytes again updated and scanned again finding or trojans and I think at this point there shouldn't be any viruses malwares causing issues but of course I could be wrong

Relevancy 84.28%

Good evening I was having a bit of difficulty dealing with a certain virus which has infected my computer It started when a number maybe ish of infected files were picked up by my AVG antivirus and sent to the virus vault I immediately rebooted in safe mode creates files .exe AppData "infected" new folder in Virus the such as to conduct a virus scan there I ran it twice first time removed infections all of which were in the AppData folder second time found none I went ahead and rebooted normally only to find that a new virus had been made once again in the AppData folder Ran Virus creates new "infected" .exe files in the AppData folder a controlled virus scan in AppData it found one more Ten minutes later Virus creates new "infected" .exe files in the AppData folder ran again found nothing I went again into Safe Mode to try and remove the viruses AVG found nothing Rebooted into normal another virus was created in AppData Ran a controlled scan in AppData found one more I admit to not being extremely tech-savvy but from what I gather the virus seems to be generating new viruses I would appreciate if someone could help me resolve this issue I've followed the instructions in the quot NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting for Malware Removal Help quot to the best of my abilities and I don't believe I've missed a step Please let me know if I can provide any more information to help Here is my DDS txt --- DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Alexander at on Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - Running Processes C windows system wininit exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgchsvx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgrsx exe C windows system lsm exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C windows System spoolsv exe C windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C windows system taskhost exe C windows system Dwm exe C windows Explorer EXE C Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C windows system ThpSrv exe C windows system TODDSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TosCoSrv exe C windows system taskeng exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TECO TecoService exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TPwrMain exe C windows system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files TOSHIBA SmoothView SmoothView exe C windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files TOSHIBA FlashCards TCrdMain exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtHDVCpl exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C Windows System ThpSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA USB Sleep and Charge Utility TUSBSleepChargeSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TECO TEco exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Service Station ToshibaServiceStation exe C Program Files Apoint K ApMsgFwd exe C Program Files TOSHIBA BulletinBoard TosNcCore exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ReelTime TosReelTimeMonitor exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files Apoint K HidFind exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe C Windows System ico exe C windows system conhost exe C Windows System FSRremoS EXE C Program Files AVG AVG avgtray exe C windows system igfxext exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office ONENOTEM EXE C windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree NDSTray exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSwMgr exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Service Station TMachInfo exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFIWmxSvcs exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFS... Read more

A:Virus creates new "infected" .exe files in the AppData folder

Good morning,

I don't mean to inadvertently bump the thread, however, I feel that I have some additional information which may be beneficial.

The virus either restores or creates a new virus every 10 - 15 minutes.

The virus keeps generating the .exe files into their own individual folders (once again, under AppData/Local/etc or AppData/Roaming/etc...)

Turning off the wifi appears to prevent the virus from generating new .exe files.

Hope this is helpful!

Sincerely,
Alex

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/virus-creates-new-infected-exe-files-in-the-appdata-folder-513662.html
Relevancy 84.28%

hey guys how can i fully open share my "Program Files(x86)" on the other network computer? i set-up the advance sharing to everyone with full control,change,and read, but still when i paste some file using network it saying that i need to be Administrator to do that action

A:fully control/share "Program Files(x86)" folder

Quote: Originally Posted by kentucky777

hey guys how can i fully open share my "Program Files(x86)" on the other network computer? i set-up the advance sharing to everyone with full control,change,and read, but still when i paste some file using network it saying that i need to be Administrator to do that action

You do need to be admin on both (and yes they are different). You also should not be in Program Files as that is solely for legacy for 32 bit apps, shouldnt be anything there that you need to change.
Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/130381-fully-control-share-program-files-x86-folder.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I am wondering if anyone has this issue too after updating to window 8.1.
In the window explorer, I like to set my files sort by date modified, in every other window version even I browse to other folders or drives and return to the particular folder, it will be still sort by date modified. However in window 8.1, whenever i browse to other folder or drives, the particular folder will go back to sort by name which is annoying as I have to sort it to date modified every time. Anyone have a solution to this problem??

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/36258-window-8-1-folder-files-view-sort-problem.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I used to be able to open Command Prompt and use commands like "attrib", "comp", and others while in any folder.

For some reason, now I have to go into the SYSTEM32 folder to access them.

What code am I supposed to add to get things back to the way that they used to be?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dos-prompt-no-longer-able-to-access-system32-files-from-any-folder-320219.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I mostly use my computer for photography. I keep a folder on my desk top where I store photos that I have printed.

I also write adjustments I have made to the photos in "note pad" but find that I cannot move these files to the folder in which I want to keep them. Nothing I have tried works. Drag and drop doesn't work. Nor does using control+C and control+V.

Could it be possible that the thing I have done in win 95, 98, and XP can't be done in win 7? WTF?

A:Can't move "note pad" files to desk topo folder.

Where do you save them initially?

See what LockHunter tells you abut the file you are trying to move. It may be in use or locked ad LockHunter (or a similar program can free the lock).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/136641-cant-move-note-pad-files-desk-topo-folder.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I got a message from Symantec Anti Virus a couple days ago when I was on a veteran job board about to post a resume It said it was blocking some suspicious activity Shortly after that I noticed when I did a google search for about anything the links were not going to what I was selecting I also noticed a lot of folder Program Hijacker Files "LP" keep Browswer / reappearing... strange processes running in task manager I went to msconfig and deleted the startup processes and there was a folder named quot LP quot in program files that was not previously there I deleted it but it keeps regenerating when I reboot The cryptic processes seem to have stopped for the time being but I am still getting the browser hijacks at random times Other issues have been strange Internet Explorer messages when I am not even using Internet Explorer it changed my Browswer Hijacker / Program Files "LP" folder keep reappearing... Firefox and IE settings to use a proxy server and a couple of random pop up windows Symantec has Browswer Hijacker / Program Files "LP" folder keep reappearing... something in quarantine called Trojan FakeAV with an exe file named exe Here is a copy of Browswer Hijacker / Program Files "LP" folder keep reappearing... my HijackThis log file Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Symantec Symantec Endpoint Protection Smc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Intel WirelessCommon RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec Symantec Endpoint Protection Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Symantec Symantec Endpoint Protection SmcGui exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Documents and Settings xxx Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http F - REG system ini UserInit C WINDOWS system userinit exe O - BHO HP Print Enhancer - C E- - -BF - C - C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data Real RealPlayer BrowserRecordPlugin IE rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO URLRedirectionBHO - B F A - E - -BA - B E FF - C PROGRA MICROS Office URLREDIR DLL O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - BHO HP Smart BHO Class - FFFFFFFF-CF E- F B-BDC - E E A - C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp BHO dll O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Software Policies Microsoft Internet Explore... Read more

A:Browswer Hijacker / Program Files "LP" folder keep reappearing...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/browswer-hijacker-program-files-lp-folder-keep-reappearing.1026237/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello all,

I had hoped you could help me with the following problem.

When I try to create a new folder or copy and try to paste a file, an error occurs "explorer.exe" and immediately stops/ blocks the action. Also, pressing 'file' is enough to make it crash.

It's very frustrating as I need to copy and paste quite alot!

Can you help?

Thanks!

Btw: I checked with malaware for infected items, but nothing came up!

A:Can't create folder or paste files due to "explorer.exe" error

Hello and Welcome to TSF!!!

This issue occurs mostly when system is bad/missing or corrupted files...

You have to run System Repair
You need Windows XP CD:

Windows XP System Repair tutorial

Remember to enter your serial key...

Keep us posted...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-create-folder-or-paste-files-due-to-explorer-exe-error-492241.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I have my Public Desktop folder set to share for everyone, so it can be accessed from other pc's on the home network. But when I move a file from my user desktop to the public desktop it suddenly adds the lock icon over it and can't be accessed from another pc, even though the public desktop still can. I have to change the permissions on the file every time, although this never used to be the case. I used to be able to move a file to the public desktop without having to manually "share" it each time.

All settings look correct: Sharing is enabled for the folder and set for full control "everyone", and public folder sharing is turned on.

Again, this just started and was working fine before. Would one of the recent security patches have changed something?

A:Files moved to shared public folder "locked"

I'm not sure how this could occur but in order for the Public folders to be shared you need to enable sharing through the Sharing tab of the main Public folder, otherwise anything placed in one of it's subfolders won't be sharable.

If the share is being moved from a folder with a lock then moving that folder to a Public folder won't remove the lock.

The main Public folder is located at the C:\Users\Public and should appear like the picture.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/324248-files-moved-shared-public-folder-locked.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi It's my first time here I have been readnig different posts here and there but you seem to always take the time to make sure everythng is cleaned up before closing a thread and I like that a down Prog. PC Files folder is slowing "DIFX" + in ? appeared lot so here is my problem I've been recently trying to improve the security on my PC I use to have PC is slowing down + "DIFX" folder appeared in Prog. Files ? only AVG free and it seems not to be as efficient as some people say SO I downloaded Kasperspy MalwareBytes AntiMalware SuperAntiSpywarePro Look N Stop Now most of there are new to me such as the firewall But for the last days after a few hours online my pc starts sowing down a lot big time I sometimes detect stuff with PC is slowing down + "DIFX" folder appeared in Prog. Files ? the firewall PC is slowing down + "DIFX" folder appeared in Prog. Files ? but I am not sure if it went through or not and what it was I can learn fast but for now I dont know much about it all any directions are appreciated Now I noticed that the folder DIFX had appeared in my Prgram Files days ago but I havent installed that - could it be somekind of a keylogger of backdoor or whatever Also I had downloaded a software into a zip I havent opened the zip sure and I upladed the file t VirusTtal - they fund viruses Tried scanning it with my anti-spyware malware they fund NOTHING All I want is a PC that is CLEAN amp PROTECTED Is there any way you could help me out fix these issues Thanks a lot Andy

A:PC is slowing down + "DIFX" folder appeared in Prog. Files ?

Well, you may have a virus, but the DIFX folder is part of the WDK. I doubt a malware writer would use this kit / distributable files to make a malware.

When your system slows down, run a process explorer type of system like System Explorer and see if any strange processes are among the top dozen processes. If so, you are infected and your machine is probably a zombie.

OTOH, you may just have an arthritic Windows setup. The solution to that is to back up your data and then reinstall Windows clean. That will also croak any malwares.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/pc-is-slowing-down-difx-folder-appeared-in-prog-files-315374.html
Relevancy 84.28%

So I've noticed this folder on my desktop, its called "misc" When I open it I find files that don't have an extension. In properties it just says File Type: File.

There are 86 files in total and their names seem to be random numbers and letters but they all start with 4.

Is this a virus or something? My computer has been slow but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is from a program.

Relevancy 84.28%

Back in the XP days, from windows explorer, I could use the command "select all" from the edit tab, followed by "move to" command from the edit tap, and then select a location and move the files there). I can't find the "move to" command in win 7. Is it still around? If so where is it?

thanks

rich

A:"moving" Files in win 7

Try this link for the solution

Context Menu - Add Copy To Folder and Move To Folder

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/67696-moving-files-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 84.28%

somebody pls help me
i got hit by some virus(trojan i think ) and try to run norton but notron cannot clean some suspect file. it show
- error opening (Access denied)[4] or
- error opening (folder locked)[4]
after running norton i found that 'folder options' from Tools command is diappear
i download and repaire registary as kiwiguy suggest

kiwiguy said:

Go here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Read the heading as to how to apply these Registry "fixes", and then scroll down to number 129 and click on it to download the registry script to correct this problem.Click to expand...

now i can see 'folder options' but cannot find 'show hidden file and folder' checkbox
pls help me, thank in advance!!!!

A:checkbox for "show hidden files and folders" disappear from folder option

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/checkbox-for-show-hidden-files-and-folders-disappear-from-folder-option.607704/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi guys After my pc has been infected by the quot bagle prague quot hldrrr in "show Option options disappeared controlpanel->folder files" hidden wintems flec srosa i got cleaned by a software called Regrun Option "show hidden files" in controlpanel->folder options disappeared But the malwares have left some problems on my pc The main Option "show hidden files" in controlpanel->folder options disappeared problem is In Control Option "show hidden files" in controlpanel->folder options disappeared Panel Folder option View i can t find the options related to quot show hidden files quot In this forum there is a solution already posted but it didn t solve my problem The member says to go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanced Folder Hidden and change the value into quot group quot My problem is I do not have this last folder in the registry line quot hidden quot I mean there is HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanced Folder and in this folder quot folder quot there s no quot hidden quot folder So I can t change the value of quot hidden quot cause there s no quot hidden quot Help me please thanks nbsp

A:Option "show hidden files" in controlpanel->folder options disappeared

Greetings pokemon2005, Welcome To TSG

Show hidden files and folders - option missing or does not work
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/show-hidden-files-and-folders-option-missing-or-does-not-work/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/option-show-hidden-files-in-controlpanel-folder-options-disappeared.712704/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi We are moving from Windows XP Office to Windows Office Huge change and of course people try everything that is possible and impossible things that Folder? Drop Drag "Mail and Outlook Files Items" 2010 into Post and you wouldn't of think of doiing But yes it seem you can actualy take files in that case PDF files on your desktop and drag and drop them into an Outlook folder directly It doesn't show as an MSG file it realy show's itself in Outlook as a PDF and you can double click it to open it It Drag and Drop Files into Outlook 2010 "Mail and Post Items" Folder? probably has the same system as Windows Explorer does We have Symantec Enterprise Vault to Archive emails witch will automaticly do so after a predetermined period of time We can archive Drag and Drop Files into Outlook 2010 "Mail and Post Items" Folder? the PDF file and it will result by creating a blank email from yourself with a PDF attached to it So it does seem to work i don't see any bugs or error or problem soo far But that is quot so far quot I can't find anywhere on the internet a post or something that tells you quot Drag and Drop Files into Outlook 2010 "Mail and Post Items" Folder? yes you can do that with Outlook quot Anyone has an opinion on that matter understanding that everyone has differents ways of working Thank you

A:Drag and Drop Files into Outlook 2010 "Mail and Post Items" Folder?

Got it

Storing files directly in Outlook folders | MSOutlook.info

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/221292-drag-drop-files-into-outlook-2010-mail-post-items-folder.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Ok, I have some issues with Windows 7 security features.

Several of the programs I have, including, World of Warcraft, write configuration to files in the program folder. Windows 7 is preventing these changes. Reconfiguring 14 add-ons and graphics settings, for one thing alone, get's kinda annoying. I have several other programs that need to be able to write to the configuration files, from .DAT to .BIN files and everything in between, and this is a major inconvenience.

Anyone know how to turn off this security on the two folders, "Program Files" and "Program Files(x86)"? I've only noticed it in the x86 folder, but I can only assume that it will also happen in the normal folder.

Relevancy 84.28%

I have Gmail accounts that I manage with the up-to-date version of Thunderbird TB I've been having storage capacity issues on my C Drive amp noticed several large imap gmail files when I did a search of the drive After doing a lot of web searching it seems Gmail uses quot All Mail quot as an archive in TB It basically duplicates every email you ever sent or received no matter if you deleted it or moved it to a folder As you can imagine with greatly increases the space each email account takes up on the drive Each quot All Mail quot folder I have has over emails in them I spent hours going thru each account amp each folder deleting emails i didn't need trying to clear up some space The problem is if you delete an email from your quot family quot folder it is still in the quot All Mail quot folder If you go into the quot All Mail quot folder amp delete any of the emails clean files out Mail" "All How can in I Thunderbird? folder it deletes it from that folder amp whatever folder the original emails was filtered to I didn't try it but I'm guessing if I did a quot select all quot in quot All Mail quot amp hit delete it would delete every email in that account regardless of the folder its in I found How can I clean out "All Mail" folder files in Thunderbird? advise to quot unsubscribe quot that All Mail folder amp I know how to do that However that seems like just a way to hide the folder but How can I clean out "All Mail" folder files in Thunderbird? not clean out its data or turn it off from getting more future emails I looked in Account setting-Copies How can I clean out "All Mail" folder files in Thunderbird? amp folder There is a section about archiving It auto selects quot keep message archives in quot then it auto selects quot Others - quot All Mail quot - My gmail acct name This seemed like the place to find answers but before I did anything I wanted to find out the following -What would happen if I just Un-selected quot Keep message archives in quot -What would happen if I choose to have the in quot Archive quot to folder on option as - Drop down Box amp I select the name of particular email account -How can I clear out all the emails in the quot All Mail quot folder without deleting the emails I want to keep in their current folders -If I'm able to do that how do I turn off the quot All Mail quot archiving folder in the future As always gang Thanks for the Help John

A:How can I clean out "All Mail" folder files in Thunderbird?

Hi perhaps the tips here can be of some help "All Mail" folder in Thunderbird 3 w/ Gmail ? mozillaZine Forums

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f369/how-can-i-clean-out-all-mail-folder-files-in-thunderbird-1061514.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hey, for some reason I can't find my "Program Files (x86) folder on my main SSD (C. I don't know why it is gone or of it has changed location, I just want it back! It have been gone for some months now and I havent really cared so much about it, but know I begins to get tiny with space so I wanna access that folder to see what kind of files and programs I have on the SSD. Would be fine if someone have any ideas or know where it could have found the way. Thanks, Christian :u p:

Relevancy 84.28%

I've just recently encountered a baffling problem: I browse to some folders in Explorer, and the files I expect to see are all there. However, every app I've tried to open or otherwise load these files reports "File not found"!

Opening a cmd window and performing a Dir command also shows all the files.

I found a couple of apps that promise to reveal extended info about specified files, but when I navigate to these files and select one to process, both of these tools also report "File not found".

I've run chkdsk and other utils on the drive holding these files several times, and each time it reports no errors found.

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Pro SP1 with the latest updates.

WTF? Can anyone help me resolve this weird issue, please?

A:Files seen in folder, but progs say "File not found"??

What happens if you move the files to another folder?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/383230-files-seen-folder-but-progs-say-file-not-found.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Not a big deal, but rather strange nontheless...

I have a Dell XPS R450 tower running NT4 SP6a, and about a month ago, this strange behavior suddenly just cropped up -- when I select the "Details" option from the "View" menu, nothing shows in the window, although the text at the bottom margin of the window will display the correct number of files contained therein. If I view by any other option such as "List", "Small icon" or "Large icon", everything is fine.

Can anyone suggest what to do to fix this, and/or give me any clues as to what the heck is going on? I made no changes to my system to predicate this behavior -- it just popped up out of the blue (at least, as far as I can recall).

Thanks,

Joe B.

A:NT4 - Folder "View by Details" displays no files

Hiya

I know this may sound like a simple question, but you could have messed up the columns. The columns have
draggable widths, and you can drag them in such a way
that nothing is visible.

Try grabbing hold of the left-hand edge of the leftmost
column and dragging it rightwards. Or something.

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/nt4-folder-view-by-details-displays-no-files.56601/
Relevancy 84.28%

I need to know how to empty the "Temporary Internet Files" folder. Windows XP won't let me delete it and when I go into the folder, its empty, but when I check its properties, its more than 7GB in size which is taking up a lot of disk space. I really need to empty this folder, but I do not know how as it's not showing any contents in it. I even unhide the contents of this folder but it shows nothing in it. Please help!

A:How to empty "Temporary Internet Files" folder

Well, one way you can do it, is to go to Tools -> Options in your IE browser, and click on delete files under the Temporary Internet Files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-empty-temporary-internet-files-folder-125932.html
Relevancy 84.28%

My network has 2 PC's, one of which had XP installed when purchased. The other had Windows 98, and has been recently upgraded to XP. I want to be able to access any file from either machine. On the PC that was upgraded from Win 98, I have set Drive C to be shared. The other PC can access any file, including those in the Program Files folder. It can, for example, run PaintShop Pro across the network, even though it's not installed on that machine.

I have set Drive C on the other PC to be shared, but I cannot access its Program Files folder from the (former) Win 98 PC. I get "Access Denied" messages.

Does anyone know how to allow complete sharing of all files?

Thanks
FireFlySydney

A:How do you access "Program Files" folder on a network?

You need to set both share permissions and the file permissions on disk.

No need to specifically share the drives BTW. Windows automatically enables administrative shares in the form of c$ d$ etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-access-program-files-folder-on-a-network.37363/
Relevancy 84.28%

A file I just noticed in my Program Files folder is called quot CUSTDATA INI quot and says it is a quot Configurations settings quot file bytes my folder "CUSTDATA.INI" Files Program in file It was installed a month ago Several days previoulsy I had purchased a CD Label-making program online It came with a quot free-with-purchase quot extra program which organizes your photos so you can copy them to CDs in a more organized way A few days later I installed that photo-organizing program The CUSTDATA INI file was created two minutes "CUSTDATA.INI" file in my Program Files folder after I installed the bonus photo-organizing program So I think it has something to do with that but don t know what I ve never seen such a file created after installing software In case you re interested this is the program I bought and if you scroll down you can see where it says quot BUY NOW and receive Photos Forever FREE http www acoustica com cd-label-maker I love the label-maker program BTW "CUSTDATA.INI" file in my Program Files folder - and the photos program looks pretty decent too if I ever wanted to do that I haven t used it Because of the times and dates it just seems like that s the only thing that could be associated with that CUSTDATA ini file It wasn t freeware it was paid for it as part of their special offer bundle so I wouldn t expect any tricks It might not have anything to do with the INI file it s just the corresponding dates and times of installation What is in such a file And OK to delete It s presumably just text but I didn t open it to see nbsp

A:"CUSTDATA.INI" file in my Program Files folder

.ini files are quite common and quite harmless. Every folder on your computer contains a hidden file called desktop.ini which contains at least information on the icon you have selected (or the default) for that folder. If you do a search on your computer to include hidden files you will probably come up with over a thousand of them. So, .ini files contain information usually about your preferences for the program or its interface. You can double-click on this file and it will open in Notepad. The file should normally be in the program's folder. If it's "hanging loose" by itself in the Program Files folder this is the result of sloppy programming by the program's author. If it is, and you don't want to see it, you can right-click on it and mark it as 'Hidden' in 'Properties'.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/custdata-ini-file-in-my-program-files-folder.419853/
Relevancy 84.28%

I have a very strange problem but thought perhaps someone could help I am Documents" in start Windows "My files won't folder with running Microsoft XP Professional -bit Edition which likely makes my problem even more obscure Recently when I restarted my computer Windows would get to the desktop but the taskbar start menu and systray would fail to load What I Windows won't start with files in "My Documents" folder mean is that the desktop and icons would show but could not be opened but the task bar would simply display as a solid blue Windows won't start with files in "My Documents" folder bar When you placed the mouse over this solid blue bar the mouse would transform into that hour glass thing Note By blue bar I don t mean the standard task bar but rather a two-diminsional bar which was probably the taskbar failing to render What I Did and Strange Result In an effort to save my quot My Documents quot folder I booted into safe mode onto the administrator account and copied the folder to an external harddrive I then deleted the quot My Documents quot folder from my normal account In a last ditch effort I did a normal restart and surprisingly Windows loaded after rebuilding the My Documents folder I then started copying my files back into the quot My Docuements quot folder I then restarted Windows and poof I was back to Windows not loading properly I then deleted all the files in the My Documents folder and Windows loaded properly again I then tried copying a couple files back to My Documents and Windows failed to reload I thought I might have a virus in a file that was in quot My Documents quot did a scan nothing came up After messing around for a couple hours I found out that if ANY file regaurdless of size or type was moved or created or saved etc into the quot My Documents quot then Windows would fail to load Summary If there is any file in the quot My Documents quot folder of my user account then Windows will not load the Start Menu Task Bar or systray nor will it be able to open any files However if the quot My Documents quot folder and all subfolders are empty then Windows works properly Any ideas on what to do Aside from reformatting I could do that but only as a last resort nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-start-with-files-in-my-documents-folder.638493/
Relevancy 84.28%

This computer has only one account Files" "Temporary folder Lost Internet so that I can start it up or restart it and walk out of the room and it is ready when I get back I have lost my Temporary Internet Files folder i e C Documents and Settings name Local Settings quot folder should be here quot For some reason the folder moved to inside the Temp file and when I tried to move the folder back where it belonged it just disappeared I searched Temporary Internet Files and all the other folders are empty and not used Everything works fine except when I try to download a program like Opera that puts a install file in the Temporary Internet Files folder windows gives me an error telling me to find where the install file is Thus I cannot update or get programs like Opera that use this method of installing on the computer Searching for these install files shows that they are not on the computer How can I get my Temporary Internet Files folder back

A:Lost "Temporary Internet Files" folder

Correction...please forgive my ignorance but there is two problems here that I found at the same time and in my flustration combined.

1) The Temporary Internet Files folder does not show any more. I found it in the Temp folder and tried to move it with two copies of My Computer (Windows Key+E) whereupon it promptly disappeared. It must be there although it does not show as I can empty it and everything works.

2) Any program that has an install file will no longer work on this computer. I get a error showing me that the file should be in the Temp folder. A search will not find the install file anywhere.
I will start a new thread on this in the future.

Sorry about the newbe mistake, please forgive me.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-temporary-internet-files-folder-134925.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi everyone Searched for jpg found hundreds under quot files on Changed" Zero byte "Recently folder c users lt username gt Searches Recently Changed quot folder with zero byte size and filenames similar to registry values see screen capture ie B - - E -D D B Kb The problem started out with quot Pictures quot folder suddenly empty Note Pictures on destop are still there Searched for jpg Zero byte files on "Recently Changed" folder on entire computer c but did not find what i needed Did a system restore still no pictures I think i made the problem worst by mistakenly following METHOD amp on archived thread quot Personal User Folder - Restore Missing Folder quot this was my error because my quot Pictures quot folder was empty -- not missing Personal User Folder - Restore Missing Folder Caution to others Please read carefully Below are steps that may have made my problem worst METHOD part of thread link above Click on Save and save the reg file to the Desktop Right click on the reg On Desktop file and click on Merge Click on the Run button in the Security Warning pop-up Click on Continue UAC Yes and then OK when prompted When done you can delete the reg file s on Desktop if you like Log off and log on or restart the computer to restore the folder NOTE Sometimes you may need to restart more than once for the changes to be applied There was a warning that changes to files may make it unuseable or something to which i answered OK After all the restarts i still didn't get baby pictures back I searched for jpg again and found hundreds under quot c users lt username gt Searches Recently Changed quot folder with zero byte size and filenames similar to registry values see screen capture ie B - - E -D D B Kb I tried using Recuva Did a system restore to try and undo previous registry change System Info HP mofrl s f Vista Home Premium SP bit AMD Athlon X Dual Core Processor GHz GB RAM Hope someone can help me recover years worth of baby pictures Thank you -nes

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/280402-zero-byte-files-recently-changed-folder.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I am using Windows XP. When I download certain things to the desktop, they don't actually save to the Desktop, but rather to a folder called "Recent." When I search for these files using the Windows search tool, I can find them, but I don't know how to (a) open the "Recent" folder or (b) re-route it so they actually download to the desktop. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Relevancy 84.28%

Not a major issue, of course, purely cosmetic, but still a minor annoyance none-the-less:

I have a number of card reader drives that I never use (haven't even removed that plastic cover tape from them to help keep the dust out) that show when viewing the "Computer" window that displays drives. Is there any way to hide specific unused drivers from this view? Not remove drive entirely, of course, I may need to use one in the future, but just to hide them so they aren't visible, until I may chose to make them visible again?

Thanks as always,

Russell

A:Hiding unused "removable storage" devices from "Computer" folder

Hello Russell,

You could check Hide empty drives in the Computer folder in Folder Options to have them stay hidden until you insert a card. When a card is inserted, the drive will display in Computer.

Drives - Hide or Show Empty Drives in Computer Folder

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/245152-hiding-unused-removable-storage-devices-computer-folder.html
Relevancy 83.42%

hi guys totally new a How files? folder remove "windows" its to and here i just had to format my How to remove a "windows" folder and its files? HDD and it's win XP and it's about time i install win the windows i got from the tech guy at the computer shop was win bit i thought it was bit as a matter of fact for reasons i won't tell here just because it's irrelevant andd too long i installed win first on HDD quot D quot and after i backup up a few files i installed win AGAIN but on HDD quot C quot where i want it to stay now i want to REMOVE the folder quot windows quot i have on quot d quot and keep the same folder on quot C quot since my windows is running from c i assume i figured it shouldnt be a problem to delete the folder in d but apparently i can't no matter what i do i tried quot unlocker quot which worked like magic on XP but does didly squat on win and i also tried quot lock hunter quot to no avail i managed to delete the USERS folder andd even change the quot windows quot name to quot disabled-windows quot but i can't delete that folder i need those GB of space how can i remove this folder from D without formatting it also upgrading to bit OS was done by mistake i didnt know i am installing bit OS i am kinda scared that many softwares and games will not run or give me a lot of issues with this type of OS what can i do to avoid conflicts and stuff malfunctioning in the future what are the benefits of a bit OS i have GB of ram btw thanks a bunch

A:How to remove a "windows" folder and its files?

Hello,

First, disconnect the D drive and reboot; make sure your current installation is not dependent on that drive in any way, before proceeding with the rest of this post.

With the D drive attached, boot up your Windows installation DVD, and select "repair my computer". Open a command prompt, and enter the following:
Code:
diskpart
list vol
Note the letter of your current D drive; make sure it has not changed letters. Substitute that letter for D in the command below:
Code:
exit // exits diskpart

del d:\windows /f
That should do the trick.

To be safe, disconnect your C drive before doing that, to avoid any possibility of accidentally deleting the Windows folder on your C drive.

A 64-bit OS is one compatible with a 64-bit processor. Since almost all processors these days are 64-bit compatible, the only practical difference we see these days is how much RAM each can handle. With a 32-bit OS and 4GB of RAM, you might not be able to use about half a GB of it. I recommend the 64-bit version, in case you ever want to upgrade.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-remove-a-windows-folder-and-its-files-541319.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi

I have windows XP home edition.

I recently loaded up my itunes and tried to play i beatles song i loaded on a while back. However i got an error saying "file cannot be located"

I then went into my "my music" folder and then to the "beatles" folder. Once in the folder no files where shown. I then looked at the Beatles folder properties and it said there where 22 files in it. This has happened to all my music folder. Please help. This is years and 100's of pound worth of music gone!!

Regards Lee

Relevancy 83.42%

Recently I did a system recovery on my PC and it gave me the option to save program files in a folder "My Backup". After the recovery was over my computer was working once again but all of these files are still in the "My Backup" folder. Is it possible for me to restore thes files and if so how?!?!?! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using windows XP pro if that helps at all. Thanks!!!

A:Restoring files in "My Backup" folder

Welcome to TSF....

Since all of the backup programs work a bit differently it would be a good thing to know the make and model of computer you have?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restoring-files-in-my-backup-folder-259186.html
Relevancy 83.42%

My current dilemma is that I accidently copy and pasted some files into the "Userdata" folder (which by default is just on my C: path) and now I'm unable to move them or even use them. Whenever I try to copy and paste the files out of the userdata folder, it gives me an error message saying "Access is Denied" and even if I do have administrator rights for my computer, it does not allow me to change the "read-only" attribute on the folder which I would hope would at least let me transfer the files out.

I'm using Windows XP SP 2 and these are audio/video files that I'm trying to transfer out of the Userdata folder.

A:Copying Files out of the "Userdata" Folder

See if it Helps

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP?
http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/copying-files-out-of-the-userdata-folder.645799/
Relevancy 83.42%

I have about 1000 tmp files in my My Documents folder, they're labeled pos2A0, pos2A1, etc all the way to posFFF. My system has been acting weird for at least a month, but all of these files are new (at least to my knowledge) today.

Everytime I resart my computer it takes a couple hours before you can actually use it, you can move the mouse around but it wont click on anything and random black sploches will pop up over the start menu and the menu at the bottom of the screen

Today is the first day that I have seen the pos files. I right clicked them and it showed that they were created at the time that I restarted the computer

can someone tell me what to do?

A:1000s of "pos" files in My Documents folder

Closing duplicate thread.

I will leave your other post open since it has a hijackthis log in it.

http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/682041-1000-pos-files-my-documents.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/1000s-of-pos-files-in-my-documents-folder.681987/
Relevancy 83.42%

I use XP Pro....
I keep my audio files in folders. And I don't know why every now and then when I open these folders all the files show in "Tile mode". I hate that and always convert them all to "List mode". But in a few days they go back to all showing in "Tile mode" again.

Is there a way to make all the contents of folders Always show in "List mode"?

Relevancy 83.42%

Hi All Happy New Year First time posting On i ended up with a bunch of viruses "Video that and viruses...HELP "Helper" Infected: folder Add contain On" Trojan on my computer From what I can gather they are bad news I down loaded PC Tools to do a search and found a bunch of Trojans and other nasties I have uploaded a screen shot of the PC Tools scan In the quot C Program Files Video Add On quot folder the following can t be deleted icmtr dll icthis isfmdl dll isfmm isfmntr In the quot C Program Files Helper quot folder the following was found turbosearchsite dll e Module What is this Do I need the file in Helper Please help PS I am not a techno savvy guy Infected: "Video Add On" and "Helper" folder that contain Trojan viruses...HELP I kinda know what is going on but only enough to get myself into trouble and not be able to get out I tried a few things to get rid of them but was unsuccessful From what I have seen I will be here for a bit Thanks in advance bassndude that s Bass as in the fish not the musical instrument - nbsp

A:Infected: "Video Add On" and "Helper" folder that contain Trojan viruses...HELP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/infected-video-add-on-and-helper-folder-that-contain-trojan-viruses-help.667700/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi

Is it possible to start the app without "Security Worning" window ("Cancel. Open, More Info" buttons)? If yes, how you can make changes then?

Is it possible to start the app without "Microsoft Access" window on the background?

Thanks,
Barbos

A:Solved: Access 2003 - To start the app w/o "Security Warning" and "Microsoft Access"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-access-2003-to-start-the-app-w-o-security-warning-and-microsoft-access.837401/
Relevancy 82.56%

I just got done using the MS fix it tool to remedy the compress old files hang that occured when you used the disk clean up tool There were about k old files that no matter how many times you ran disk clean up they were never compressed as a matter of fact at times I would actually see an quot Increase quot in files listed in the compress old files line AFTER clean files old up? "compacting" Is same files" "compressing defrag in the in as disk I did selected quot compress old files quot clean So I used the MS fix it tool to solve the problem and you guessed it the tool removed the option for quot compress old Is "compacting" files in defrag the same as "compressing old files" in disk clean up? files quot Now it is no longer there MS states that they deleted this option to prevent the hang issue But this is why I want to know Is "compacting" files in defrag the same as "compressing old files" in disk clean up? whether these old files are actually being compressed when i use the defrag and it says quot compacting files quot Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Is "compacting" files in defrag the same as "compressing old files" in disk clean up?

Hi

The 'compressing files' referred to by a defragmenter is the process of moving the files it has put together to the start of the drive.

When defragmenting files, it moves the pieces of the file to an empty space further into the drive. Once it has done this to all the files, it moves them back to the start of the drive as this is generally the fastest part.

This doesn't compress files like the option in disk clean up.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/is-compacting-files-in-defrag-the-same-as-compressing-old-files-in-disk-clean-up-487058.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Afternoon I'm a bit boggled by this issue we / 7 "mapped stuck files" "stand-by" files Windows Large in are having on a PC at our office It seems that the PC normally will boot up and the memory usage will be low GB GB until - minutes go by then it shoots up GB GB It's really odd and I can't explain it since no applications are started I took it upon myself and downloaded RamMap Using RamMap I was able to determine that the memory is caused by quot mapped files quot under quot file summary quot I Windows 7 Large files stuck in "mapped files" / "stand-by" can see the two large files which are to blame But I'm not able delete these currently until tomorrow to confirm the user doesn't need them What I'm looking for is an answer as to why these files seem to be singled out Thanks in advance I've included a screenshot to the RamMap findings and my understanding with how memory is handled is limited EDIT - I can see now only large file is being selected for quot mapped file quot

A:Windows 7 Large files stuck in "mapped files" / "stand-by"

Attachments -

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398103-windows-7-large-files-stuck-mapped-files-stand.html
Relevancy 81.7%

XP
Im looking for a way to re-create two folders, 1 my pictures, 2 my video. ive tried TweakUI, but that can only move a path. I tried repair (not Repair console) with XP SP2 CD, and ended up with a chose OS screen (which i found out can be avoided with msconfig.) but still regedit has a big whole where my pictues and my video should be. Ive both a SATA and an IDE drive, IDE is used as storage and SATA is partitioned and computer management say Extended partition, with boot on it and system is on the IDE one.
Before it got messed up i had my documents on the ohter partition, which is how i want it.
I would greatfull of some help and a detailed fix, i will fomat but even that is hard as that is part of how it all become so mixed up.
Vince

A:Missing Shell Folder for "My Pictures" + "My Video"

Vince, Tweak UI has that ability under the Repair section. Just use the drop down arrow button and choose My Videos and My Pictures one at a time, click the Repair Now button, click Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-shell-folder-for-my-pictures-my-video.715081/
Relevancy 81.7%

OK This is complicated please be patient Some months ago my PC Win Ultimate x suddenly came up with the dreaded quot BOOTMGR missing press CTRL ALT DEL to continue quot error message No idea what caused this the OS had been operating flawlessly for almost a year Anyway I tried using a quot Windows Recovery Disc quot which I had burned & partitions...why? appear "BOOT" on File TWO folder "BOOTMGR" from an iso file downloaded ages ago After several unsuccessful attempts to fix the problem with the Recovery Disc I gave up in frustration and rebooted from the Win installation DVD It of course told me there was an existing Win OS on the File "BOOTMGR" & folder "BOOT" appear on TWO partitions...why? machine did I wish to update overwrite that File "BOOTMGR" & folder "BOOT" appear on TWO partitions...why? or install a NEW copy of the OS I chose quot new copy quot and File "BOOTMGR" & folder "BOOT" appear on TWO partitions...why? installed it This fixed the problem of course Once I was certain all was working several days later I used Win 's quot BOOTMGR quot utility to DELETE this second unnecessary version of the OS All still worked fine but it quot shrunk quot drive D and left an quot UNUSED quot area on the drive according to the DISKMGR tool I don't remember the drive letter the install routine created Anyway I could not quot extend quot D or get back the wasted HD space no matter what I tried Naturally in the process I stupidly screwed up something and was back to the quot BOOTMGR missing quot situation Arrgghh I used another PC to search for help on the 'net and found a lot of praise for a utility called quot EasyBCD quot using quot Ubuntu quot which I assume is another OS that like Linux can quot read quot and fix problems on NTSF-formatted drives Worked like a charm AND I HAVE NOT SCREWED WITH ANYTHING once all was working Now however I have a BOOTMGR file in the root of both my D and I partitions both on the primary HD They have different dates also both partitions now have a folder named quot boot quot as well The folder on I is obviously needed and in use as numerous files bootstat dat etc and logs seem to be recreated or updated on most every reboot of the machine The quot boot quot folder on D contains none of this and doesn't appear to have been accessed or changed since the date of the ORIGINAL problem - - Why is it there What are the consequences of say renaming it rebooting and if all goes well DELETING it Shouldn't there only be ONE partition with BOOTMGR on it There is also a file on C called quot bootsqm dat quot which always has the date time of my last reboot What is THIS I'm probably too curious for my own good but would at least like SOME idea of what's going on and why Any assistance or external references would be GREATLY appreciated Thanks kakite

A:File "BOOTMGR" & folder "BOOT" appear on TWO partitions...why?

post screenshot of disk management with all fields visible

bootsqm.dat will be created if you do a "check disk". It can be deleted if want.
bootstat.dat see The Boot Status Data Log

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/240410-file-bootmgr-folder-boot-appear-two-partitions-why.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I am getting an "Access is Denied" error message on a hard drive that I am trying to recover files from that is from my HP Pavilion with Windows XP that fried. My hard drive is still good, and I am trying to rescue the files in the "Documents and Settings/Owner" folder. I have connected the hard drive to my laptop, which also has XP; but when I try to open the "Owner" folder in "My Documents", it tells me that "Access is Denied." And when I hover over the folder, it says "Folder is Empty." But it is not empty. I can also access everything else on the drive fine -- just not this folder. I suspect that this is a networking type of issue, but I am not sure how to resolve it. Can someone please help me?

Thank you,

Relevancy 81.7%

When a download is complete, the dialog box opens, announcing "Download Complete" and when I Click the "Open Folder" button the "Download Complete" dialog box closes but the Target Folder doesnt not open. First noticed this after SP3 in this XP Home environment.

Wheres the Honor the 'Open Folder' button setting to get this functionality back?

Relevancy 81.7%

I have had the Ad Watch bug and get the "create an association in the Folder Options" error message when trying to open a program. Nothing will open and all exe.and lnk. files are missing from Folder Options. When I try to create new exe. files and new lnk files, the "apply" button is not highlighted so it will not save. I can make other changes and the button is there but it still won't save the exe changes. I am at my wits end. I have been on most forums looking for the answer. Please help.

Relevancy 81.7%

I used this "hide a folder" program called "folder lock," and I guess it's buggy because it won't let me unhide the files. It unhides the folder containing the files, but the files are still hidden. They're still there, because when I copy and paste the folder, it shows that the files are being copied, but in the new folder they will be hidden again. Checking the "property" of the folder shows the correct size as well. How can I get windows to reveal them?

The hidden files are listed in this folder called "n|+|-n" or something like that I think, but when I type that in dos or windows it won't let me access them.

PS I contacted the company, but I don't expect a response back any time soon and those files are kind of important.

Thanks!

A:How to "unhide" a folder hidden by a "hidefolder" utility?

Welcome to TSG....

And of course you did not or don't have any backups of these files on any other media?

Actually the only way to gain access to these files is by contacting the manufacturer of the security program ir you would have to learn how to program good enough to bew able to get into the secure area. To the best of my knowledge since this is a security thing and we have no way of knowing whether or not you actually have the rights to get into these files I doubt if you will get much direction toward solving your problem.

Go with contacting the manufacturer of the software.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-unhide-a-folder-hidden-by-a-hidefolder-utility.559939/
Relevancy 81.7%

All of the sudden my "System Volume Information" folders (the system restore folders) on all of my hard drives are shown even when viewing hidden files is off. Tried to mark them hidden, but it won't let me. Anyone have a clue as to why they would suddenly unhide themselves and not allow me to hide them again? This is on XP Pro with no service pack1 installed. Just bugs me they did that all of the sudden. Haven't installed anything recently except Paint Shop Pro 7 and Easy CD Creator 5.2 plus the update patch to 5.3.

Thanks,

Smith

Relevancy 81.7%

Orion was burning data on a DVD-R i used the quot like flash disc quot method formatting it usual the (not thing) Disaster del" "can't Folder" "Burn then went on deleting moving amp renaming image folders i think that was wrong to do anyway when i started the burn process it stopped responding after several minutes i had to force restart the machine to eject disc then i discovered a specific folder i put in the image is very big in size "Burn Folder" Disaster (not the usual "can't del" thing) checked it and found the windows has created system files and folders in it AppData Temp Microsoft etc it couldnt be deleted the easy way used Unlocker could just delete few folders then the machine stops responding and this repeated useless several times used the Safe Mode With Command RD S it deleted the folder but after restart windows normally the folder is still there and keeps creating system stuff some programs started using this location to run like Chrome i discovered i lost all my history and cookies and had to reinstall it and its still sticking to the Burn Folder's infected folder the folder is growing fast i have to to wipe it using command and reinstall Chrome again and again i need to burn discs too i apologize for being too long please help BLKND

A:"Burn Folder" Disaster (not the usual "can't del" thing)

did anybody read this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/155255-burn-folder-disaster-not-usual-cant-del-thing.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi, I'm using Windows 8.1 x64 and I'd like to add to the MAIN menu of context menu (just right-clicking) the options to create a New Folder and a New Text Document. Right now I have to go to the "New" option and then select Folder or Text Document.

Thanks!

A:Add "New Folder" and "New Text Document" in context menu

This may help:

How to Add Any Application Shortcut to Windows Explorer?s Context Menu

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/43061-add-new-folder-new-text-document-context-menu.html