Windows Support Forum

Windows 8.1 Update 1, PC Settings, PC and Devices crash

Q: Windows 8.1 Update 1, PC Settings, PC and Devices crash

Hi

Just updated to Update 1 on Win 8.1 on two machines. When I open the PC Settings App from Start Screen or Taskbar all the options are ok except PC and devices. When I select this on the app menu the app crashes back to the desktop. Anyone suggest a fix I suspect it's the new Drive Manager in that menu option. Other machine works fine with this option. Any Fixes?

Tim

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 8.1 Update 1, PC Settings, PC and Devices crash

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows 8.1 Update 1, PC Settings, PC and Devices crash

Further investigation shows that if I create a new local account the app works fine and I can access the Device Settings etc. I tried deleting my main MS account off the machine and re-creating it but got myself in a bit of a mess so restored from a system image a few days ago. Is there a troubleshooting list somewhere. I seem to have found it on this site the other day but lost it again?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/44100-windows-8-1-update-1-pc-settings-pc-devices-crash.html
Relevancy 59.77%

The title is basically all you need to know. I have tried everying, but I am up for suggestions.

A:All USB storage devices CRASH windows

Can you insert a USB device without Windows crashing? Or is it durring boot/restart? I was getting a BSOD on bootup from a flash drive. I was able to insert the drive once Windows was up and running, then in device manager I expanded 'Portable Devices' and disabled the flash drive there.

This didnt disable the storage but the portable drivers Windows loads because it thinks my flash drive is a poratable/music device type.

Depending on your storage devices you may need a driver update. I was also getting errors (not crashes) and had to update the Intel Storage Manager. Some info on your system might help us to better determine the problem and solution.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/32816-all-usb-storage-devices-crash-windows.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi all BleepingComputer first-time poster here Player devices Update/Flash suddenly update Windows audio after All unrecognised I have used your site many times as a lurker but on this occasion I can't seem to find a solution to my problem so am forced to bother you for direct help The problem Earlier tonight All audio devices suddenly unrecognised after Windows Update/Flash Player update I was playing Elite Dangerous on my new one month old Windows desktop system and all was well Belarc Advisor system profile posted here fyi Spoiler Operating System System Model Windows x build Install Language English United Kingdom System Locale English United Kingdom Installed Boot Mode Legacy BIOS in UEFI Secure Boot not supported Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd H M-D H Enclosure Type Desktop Processor a Main Circuit Board b gigahertz Intel Core i - kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache kilobyte tertiary memory cache -bit ready Multi-core total Not hyper-threaded Board Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd H M-D H Bus Clock megahertz UEFI American Megatrends Inc F Drives Memory Modules c d Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space ATAPI iHAS E Optical drive ST DX - CM Hard drive GB -- drive s n Z DD EA rev CC SMART Status Healthy Megabytes Usable Installed Memory Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM ' is Empty Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM ' has MB serial number A BDE Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM ' is Empty Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM ' has MB serial number A BB Local Drive Volumes c NTFS on drive GB GB free I finished playing and installed the latest Windows Updates nine of them - I can even supply the KB numbers if helpful and restarted When prompted I then upgraded Flash Player from to the latest version After doing this I tried to play a song in Winamp and received this error message Bad DirectSound driver Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration Shortly thereafter I noticed that my system's audio had stopped working altogether through both speakers and headphones While searching for a solution I have also noticed that Youtube videos in Firefox now crash after a second or two although they play in IE silently of course The symptoms I am in the fortunate position from a diagnostic perspective of having an almost identical working computer sat next to me My father and I bought identical computers a month ago Needless to say after this happened I have not yet run the updates on that machine so it allows me to compare and contrast Hopefully that means that we can get to the bottom of this As you can see from the left-hand screen grab below the volume button in my taskbar now has a white cross on a red background and displays No speakers or headphones are plugged in when hovered over and the Control Panel sound menu now has no playback devices listed the four HDMI outputs also appear as not plugged in on my father's fully functional system As compared with my father's system mine has lost Speakers and Realtek Digital Output from this list The right-hand screen grab is from Device Manager with show hidden devices enabled displaying the hidden devices as greyed out On my father's system all the same sound controllers are listed but Realtek High Definition Audio is not hidden ie not greyed out Attempted solutions The first thing I tried was updating drivers through Device Manager Nothing seemed to need updating there so I did a system restore to a point before the updates The system restore went through fine and the updates were rolled back but the audio problem persists as does the failure of Youtube videos I then tried reinstalling Realtek HD audio both from my driver disks and from the Realtek website but nothing changed I tried uninstalling all sound drivers and restarting the machine and also tried re-installing the Windows Flash updates I have tested the speakers which work fine with other machines I am at a loss to explain or fix the fact that my computer suddenly can't recognise any audio devices Any ideas I'm ha... Read more

A:All audio devices suddenly unrecognised after Windows Update/Flash Player update

I finished playing, and installed the latest Windows Updates (nine of them - I can even supply the KB numbers if helpful) and restarted.

Please post the KB numbers nex time. Seems to be a compatible issue in Windows 8.1 OS or the installed updates initially.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563369/all-audio-devices-suddenly-unrecognised-after-windows-updateflash-player-update/
Relevancy 58.48%

Could someone advise me how I should proceed I am partway through cleaning my PC from various hijacksbut because IE crashes I cannot get windows update andcannot run any online scans Trend Micro does supportFirefox but that also does nothing ie Firefox onlyshows quot transferring data Crash Infections, Other And 3721 Cnsmin Ie Oe Windows.update Crash, And quot and 3721 Cnsmin And Other Infections, Oe And Ie Crash, Windows.update Crash never gets to theLaunching House call button IE crashes on all these scan sites bitdefender comhousecall trendmicro compandasoftware comIE does not crash on other sites such as news bbc co uk ortiscali co uk I have followed these steps after searching Help Topics for CnsMin and in Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log and done Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files ran latest Spybot with latest definitions both normal 3721 Cnsmin And Other Infections, Oe And Ie Crash, Windows.update Crash mode and Safe Mode with Ad-Aware normal mode Online scans all tried and failed as IE crashed on each site Ran AVG Grisoft McAfee Stinger ran - nothing found Microsoft firewall was 3721 Cnsmin And Other Infections, Oe And Ie Crash, Windows.update Crash already enabled Windows updates crashes in IE HijackThis ranMy brother who is helping me via email has sent me instructionshttp www spyany com program article spy rm CnsMin htmlon removing CnsMin but the registry editor instructionslook behind my abilities This site explains the CnsMin in detail but does not offerany removal instructions http www ca com securityadvisor pest pe px id Should I post a HijackThis log anyway in the right forum of course or should I try something else I know I ve had CnsMin since last year when I was able to useIE with online scans which reported it but I never got around totrying to fix it - I was and still am a PC newbie I had switched from IE to Firefox some months ago and usedIE only for windows updates But I wasn t getting IE crashes until some weeks ago I hope my system details are in my sig

A:3721 Cnsmin And Other Infections, Oe And Ie Crash, Windows.update Crash

CnsMin has an uninstaller which removes most components, but leaves the machine with no network or Internet connection. I suggest you post your log in the Hijackthis forum.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have not been replied as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/51330/3721-cnsmin-and-other-infections-oe-and-ie-crash-windowsupdate-crash/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have not been able to connect to the Internet using the network I set up a few weeks ago. I'm using a Linksys G router and Scientific Atlanta modem.

Whenever I try to connect, I get the error "Windows cannot connect" for various reasons. Previously it was "Windows received no response from the wireless networking point" which perplexes me since it detects network strength at 5 bars. Now the error is "Network settings saved on this computer do not match those required by the network."

When I try to modify the encryption key saved in the Network and Sharing Center, right after I click "Save," I get an error that says "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and that Windows is trying to fix the problem. Then Explorer crashes, disappears and reboots.

I appreciate any help-- I'm at my wits' end trying to figure out the problem here.

Relevancy 54.18%

Update - Fixed by reinstalling Windows fresh Again I think the problem was caused by installing Windows linked with my Microsoft account and then switching that to a local user My Microsoft account was registered for the insider program so perhaps I was receiving the fast updates and switching to a local account put me on slow updates which got Windows Update muddled in the confusion Original Post Windows Update appears to load Security Update Update Settings does & Windows - > not > be stuck broken It displays this loading animation even when left alone for an entire day See screenshot All the other panels such as Windows Defender will display their available options it is only Windows Update that will not show This is a clean install of Windows Home I have made some alterations to the service configuration disabling what I had been advised as unnecessary services I have reverted as many of those changes as I could remember but it is a possibility that one of those changes caused this Background Intelligent Transfer service is quot Running quot and set to quot Automatic Delayed Start quot Windows Update service is quot Running quot and set to quot Manual Trigger Start quot Aug - Edit I have cross referenced services with another computer with an unaltered fresh install of Windows Home No difference in service configuration was found Internet connectivity is stable Network profile is quot Public Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load quot No alterations have been made to the default network configuration User account was originally associated with Microsoft Account but was then switched to be a Local Account Have run sfc scannow which found and fixed Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load some problems Running sfc scannow a second time reported no problems Running the Windows Update Troubleshooter through Troubleshooting - gt Fix problems with Windows Update yields no results quot Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem quot Have deleted contents of C Windows SoftwareDistribution Download Have also re-initiated the C Windows SoftwareDistribution folder Have ran command quot Dism Online Cleanup-Image RestoreHealth quot which reports no errors Have ran command quot Dism Online Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load Cleanup-Image StartComponentCleanup ResetBase quot Have ran the fix-it from https support microsoft com en-us kb which reports quot Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem quot Cross-posting this from my question on Microsoft Answers which unfortunately did not garner much attention so I'm trying on these forums Aug Edit Checking installed updates I do not have KB or KB Manually downloaded and installed both of these updates Did not fix the issue

A:Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load

Hi wadlip,

I have done exactly the same fixes as you - to no avail. Nothing works. I am surprised by a lack of response by Microsoft. In addition to not being able to update, i cannot update the definitions for Windows Defender. This issue has definitely something to do with BITS.
If i stumble over the solution, i'll post here. I have all night to find the fix

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/13754-settings-update-security-windows-update-does-not-load.html
Relevancy 54.18%

this is one of those Windows and Windows now quot features quot that drives me and a lot of other people nuts Why is it that I get different quot answers quot different results different behavior from the Control Panel quot Windows Update quot utility vs the PC Settings quot Windows Update quot utility And why does the latter throw an error when I press the Windows Key dumb I look in Control Panel Windows Update and for instance will have quot ready to install quot a few updates - nice clean ready to go I look in the Windows multi-step slow cumbersome Windows Update and I have quot check now quot hit the check now button spin spin spin may or may not get a response Pressing the Windows Key to return to the relative tranquility of my desktop and it throws an error from 'Microsoft Visual C Runtime Library' quot Runtime Error Program C Windows ImmersiveControlPanel SystemSettings exe quot This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way Please contact the application's support team for more information quot

A:PC Settings/Update not-equal-to C.Panel/Windows Update

Originally Posted by cognus

this is one of those Windows 8 [and Windows 10 now] "features" that drives me and a lot of other people nuts.
Why is it that I get different "answers", different results, different behavior, from the Control Panel "Windows Update" utility vs the PC Settings "Windows Update" utility? [And why does the latter throw an error when I press the Windows Key?] ?

dumb... I look in Control Panel/Windows Update and, for instance, will have "ready to install" a few updates - nice, clean, ready to go. I look in the Windows 8 [multi-step, slow, cumbersome] Windows Update and I have "check now"... hit the check now button, spin/spin/spin, may or may not get a response. Pressing the Windows Key to return to the relative tranquility of my desktop and it throws an error from 'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library' "Runtime Error Program: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe" This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I prefer the control panel versions too, just right click action center flag icon choose Open Windows Update and away we go. What nerves me with the immersive version is looking at the history, it's much easier to read in the control panel version. I guess that's why the registry hack came out so quick in 10TP.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/62384-pc-settings-update-not-equal-c-panel-windows-update.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Just posting as a warning to others and to vent update A settings update reset? windows to caused my annoyance a bit I always set up my Windows update settings to quot check and notify but don't download and install unless I tell you to quot to prevent HDD thrashing performance downgrading at the A update caused windows update settings to reset? worst possible times and annoying quot oh you need to restart quot notifications All working fine but yesterday I notice some random and annoying HDD thrashing bit later on the windows update restart notification wants to restart the computer what It turns out my update settings had been reset to quot automatically download and install recommended quot without my knowledge and express permission I was not amused And no nobody else but me has access to the computer much less someone who knows from where the windows update settings can be modified And I doubt any malware virus would be interested in keeping my windows up to date automatically Don't know what exact update caused it but I know I will disable all windows updates if this happens again

A:A update caused windows update settings to reset?

Quote: Originally Posted by hexaq

but I know I will disable all windows updates if this happens again.

Your'e over-reacting a bit, don't you think? I would hazard a guess and say your system isn't behaving any worse then it was before, and its more secure now

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/293681-update-caused-windows-update-settings-reset.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Be like here: How to Separate ?Devices and Drives? Section in Windows 8.1 Explorer ?This PC?? - AskVG

I think I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that on my windows 7 pc before I did some updates.

Or I may be mistaken and this is not happening. I think I solved it.

A:Did a windows update cause the drivers and removable devices to?

What kind of problem did your computer have that is now fixed.
No I don't want to go to what ever AskVG is.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/375295-did-windows-update-cause-drivers-removable-devices.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Two devices remain unknown. Tried a multitude of drivers to no avail. Base system device PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2392&SUBSYS_162B103C&REV_30PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2392&SUBSYS_162B103CPCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2392&CC_088000PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2392&CC_0880 Uknown device ACPI\VEN_HPQ&DEV_0004ACPI\HPQ0004*HPQ0004 Thanks in advance. Cheers,Oscar

A:Uknown devices remaining after update to Windows 10

Hi, Please try 1. JMicron Media Card Reader Driver     http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52001-52500/sp52344.exe 2.  HP 3D DriveGuard Software     http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_125640_1 (Win 7, 8 & 8.1)    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe   (win 10) Regards. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Uknown-devices-remaining-after-update-to-Windows-10/td-p/5680676
Relevancy 53.75%

Solution Found Last night my computer had received a pretty big up update messed sound has 10 Windows devices? update Like an hour long one Since this update my headphones have not worked properly with the computer They work fine with other devices my phone and a different computer Here is what I know The headphones do not appear in playback devices I tried Windows 10 update has messed up sound devices? selecting for Windows 10 update has messed up sound devices? it to show disabled devices and disconnected devices they do not appear The computer only shows the default speakers as the only option But here is the weird part Sound is still playing through my headphones and not the speakers The issue is that the sound is off It doesn't sound right Its echo-ish and just strange So I know that there is an issue I've tried restoring the advanced settings to default It didn't work I've tried updating all audio and software related drivers It didn't work I'm not sure what the update did to my computer but it's caused my computer to no longer let headphones function properly Solution Go to settings and go to Realtek HD Audio Manager There should be a check box saying Full Range Speakers Deselect it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599977/windows-10-update-has-messed-up-sound-devices/
Relevancy 53.75%

If you can't synchronize your WM6.1 handset with W7's Windows Mobile Device Center, just download drivers update from M$'s site or update your Windows Mobilde Device Center to 6.1

A:Windows Mobile 6.1 Devices need M$ drivers update

Does it work? I?ve downloaded WMC 6.1 and it doesn?t work for me. Any help?

Thanks!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/660-windows-mobile-6-1-devices-need-m-drivers-update.html
Relevancy 53.75%

After a restart for a Windows Update, suddenly all audio devices have disappeared. Troubleshoot sound problems--> Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem Sound - Playback devices--> No audio devices are installed (show disabled devices/show disconnected devices) Device manager--> Audio-input and -output device type disappeared--> Sound, video and game controllers still shows two drivers (Conexant ISST Audio and Intel(R) Display Audio) Update history-- > Cumulative update Windows 10 version 1607 for x64-systems (KB3194496) (installed on 04/10/2016) Additional information- Internet connection: LAN It appears to me that the hardware is functional, however, not recognized or detected by Windows anymore. Edit: The following seems to have (at least temporarily) fixed the problem:1. Device Manager --> Sound, video and game controllers --> Conexant ISST Audio --> Uninstall (including driver software)2. Device Manager --> Scan for hardware changes3. Sound --> Troubleshoot sound problems4. Restart

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Audio-devices-disappeared-after-Windows-Update/td-p/5791388
Relevancy 53.75%

Have been facing very weird issues with microsoft websites since today morning. None of the microsoft websites open on my tablet Windows 8.1 and laptop windows 8.1 since today morning. Even my Windows Update and store have stopped working. Surprisingly all those websites open on my other Windows 7 laptop.
Tried to Refresh Windows 8.1 on my tablet from the settings. Still getting the same Windows update error. Now when i try to activate my Office 365 subscription on my tablet, the website does not open.
I am using the same net connection on all my devices through my home wifi router.

A:Windows 8.1 Update Error 8024402c / None of the Microsoft websites open on Windows 8.1 devices. What could be wrong?

Please check below link maybe it can help you. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-f1a2d8c308ba

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-8/365789-windows-8-1-update-error-8024402c-none-microsoft-websites-open-windows-8-1-devices-what-could-wrong.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I was under the impression that Lumia devices with 512MB RAM weren't going to be get getting the Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update, however today I turned on my old Lumia 635 to double-check a question I replied to on this forum earlier and it updated itself to the Windows 10 Mobile 1607 Anniversary Update. Well, can't complain at that.

I have no idea why though, before updating it would have been on whatever 10586 insider build it was on back in about March when I reset it back to defaults and threw it in a cupboard.

Has anyone else received the 14393.67 update on a Lumia 635?

It seems a bit, err, confused... LOL

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/62862-windows-10-mobile-anniversary-update-512mb-devices.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I'm posting this in case it helps others encountering the same problem I 10 Icons and to update missing Windows Devices Printers following spent three Devices and Printers Icons missing following update to Windows 10 or four days on Devices and Printers Icons missing following update to Windows 10 this without success Google searches on this forum and generally on the web and Microsoft came up with no working solution - although it appears to be a problem that has afflicted Windows and Windows users too I finally solved the problem by comparing the services list of the PC with the problem to that of a PC that did not have the problem I updated three Windows PCs to Windows All updates went fine but one PC had an annoying problem that finally I have now solved This was a brand new Lenovo PC out of the box with Windows pre-installed My first step was to run the free upgrade to Windows This appeared to work fine with one at least so far problem - all the following are related In Printers and Devices in the control panel no icons for printers appeared after I installed them The default printers like fax or PDF printer pre-installed did appear but a directly connected printer a wireless printer and network printers did not appear after they were installed following the Windows upgrade However the printers did appear in Device Manager and in the print menus for programs e g MS Word And printing worked as normal Uninstalling and reinstalling printers did not work Nor did changing drivers through Windows These were all Windows quot approved quot drivers in any case and Windows would tell me the best driver was already installed Trying to uninstall one of the printers that did appear by right-click on the icon would not work The printer and the icon were unchanged I tried this because one forum thread I found suggested that a particular PDF printer driver quot broke quot Devices amp Printers Nonsense After a couple of days I spotted that the safely eject USB stick icon did not work properly When a USB stick was inserted the safely eject icon would appear in the tray but either the device did not show or it was greyed out The only way to eject was to use the right-click context menu from Windows explorer for the USB drive letter Solution The problem turned out to be a Device service not running Right-click on quot This PC quot and pick quot Manage quot to open Computer Management I am using Classic Shell for a start menu so how you get to Computer Management may be different - you could try search from the start menu to get a link to open the console Open quot Services quot under Services and Applications In the main window of services scroll down until You should find five quot Device quot services quot Device Association Service quot quot Device Install Service quot quot Device Management Enrollment Service quot quot Device Setup Manager quot and quot DevQuery Background Discovery Broker quot The first third fourth and fifth should have a startup type of quot Manual Trigger Start quot quot Device Management Enrollment Service quot is just quot Manual quot On the problem machine the quot Device Install Service quot was shown as disabled I set this to quot Manual Trigger Start quot from the properties I have been typing so long now that I forget whether it was this or one of the others that was disabled - pretty certain it was this In any case enable manual start for all of them and make sure none are disabled After checking and if necessary changing the service startups reboot the machine Now check the Devices and Printers folder all the missing printer icons should appear I found that there were other things missing too that now appeared - e g a network NAS drive appeared that I had not realised was missing Plug in a USB stick You should find that now the eject device safely icon appears correctly in the system tray with the USB device and drive letter and clicking eject works as it should I hope this helps anyone else who experiences ... Read more

A:Devices and Printers Icons missing following update to Windows 10

Do you know of there is a way to get the Devices and Printers listed in the right click of the W10 Start Menu? It would be much faster to look at a problem printer if I did not have to go to the Control Panel. It would also work almost like all of the other Start menus in the past.

Forget it as I found a way to get Devices and Printers into the My PC display:

Devices and Printers - Add or Remove from This PC in Windows 10

Thanks,
Z

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/18382-devices-printers-icons-missing-following-update-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 53.32%

One my machines recently updated to windows 8.1 and now the all the printers and possibly other devices are no longer shown in devices and printers.

The printer works fine and I can see all the printers if I go into device manager or look at printers in notepad or word.

I seen a few fixes online but none of them so far have helped.

A:Windows 8.1 update makes printers disappear in devices

How are you connecting to the printers and other devices? Do you leave everything on 24/7? Have you tried power cycling everything?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/72216-windows-8-1-update-makes-printers-disappear-devices.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I just got an optional Windows Update titled: "Advanced Micro Devices Inc - Other Hardware AMD SMBus" (30kb) and I haven't the faintest idea what or why. I did not install it, but just "hid" it for now. Can anyone help me understand what this is and why it's being shown as a Windows Update? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

A:Windows Update Optional - Advanced Micro Devices Inc

Here's what I get when I click on "more information" for the update:

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/66890-windows-update-optional-advanced-micro-devices-inc.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey,

I have a Razer Blade 2013 with a Killer Wifi/BT card (BT chipset is Qualcomm Atheros AR3012), running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Last week I updated the drivers for the Bluetooth card... now, it just gets stuck at this screen when I try to pair my mouse, headphones, phone etc:

I can pair the devices quite easily with each other, and with my desktop. I guess the driver update broke something on the laptop?!

Things I have tried:Completely deleted and reinstalled Killer drivers
Rolled back to previous drivers
Uninstalled adapter and let default MS drivers install
Removed all paired devices from the Devices/Printers list
Set Bluetooth Support service to automatic etc.

I'm at a loss, and pretty annoyed as I rely on Bluetooth a lot (I guess "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here!).

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Su

A:Windows won't find any Bluetooth devices after driver update :(

The simplest thing i can think of at this point to try is if you have the resource disk for your system board if this is a custom built system; reinstall the drivers for the bluetooth hardware that came with your system. Doing that may solve the issue. It is possible the update that was put out for whatever reason was not meant for your system which could be why it is not working after updating even if it shows it should be. Ive discovered that some updates arent meant for certain systems even if they show that they are because either they wont install; or they will install but will cause a issue after being installed. So i would try reinstalling the original bluetooth drivers and see what happens.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/364171-windows-wont-find-any-bluetooth-devices-after-driver-update.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello I'm experiencing an issue that I would really appreciate some help with I'm running a pretty new install of Windows Pro -bit SP Very few changes have been made to the system--very few programs have been installed nothings been manually changed in the registry unable windows devices a windows again of list later update try was please get to from nothing crazy happening The install is fully updated Here's the issue that I'm having Upon windows was unable to get a list of devices from windows update please try again later attempting to update the list of printer drivers from the windows update registry when adding a printer to the system I receive the following message quot Windows was unable to get a list of devices from windows update Please try again later quot Regular Windows updates work fine except for the fact that some optional updates keep popping up after I hide them not sure is this is a related issue What is the proper way to resolve this issue such that functionality of this convenient feature is restored I know that deleting the software distribution folder isn't an advisable option Also I've already run the windows update troubleshooter and it didn't help What do you suggest Your advice is greatly appreciated

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bfb3d26f-f4af-4c5d-9750-eaae16a72f28/windows-was-unable-to-get-a-list-of-devices-from-windows-update-please-try-again-later?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 52.89%

There are several articles on this newly appearing today Crosses all versions of Windows still supported and apparently Outlook and though I don't know if others are involved The Update in question is which you can read about here It's supposed to be a 'critical' update correcting some flaw that occurs when HTML language is used in an email hence the connection to Outlook Reddit report is the most detailed and varied here Lots of specific data there search also on 'touchscreen' as its failure might be linked only to devices with touchscreens Notebook Review's report is just a started ticket here The least informative article but with new comments every few minutes on the Outlook problem is here Most of the reports say that Windows balks or BSoD's or merely Outlook does that So I'm not sure if my posting this is in the right place Please move it to the right place if you prefer Thank you for your time

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596032/windows-critical-update-3097877-crashes-devices-with-outlook/
Relevancy 52.03%

Lenovo Releases BIOS Update to Allow Linux Installation on Windows Devices Back in September complaints that reached the web and even got confirmed by a supposed Lenovo official claimed that installing Linux on a Yoga was impossible because the operating system was blocked as part of a deal between Microsoft and Lenovo Both Microsoft and Lenovo denied that such an agreement existed explaining that installing Linux was actually impossible because Windows was running on a SSD locked in a proprietary RAID mode that could only be read by Redmond s operating system And yet following all this controversy Lenovo has released a new BIOS update for Yoga that unlocks this proprietary RAID mode and allows the installation of Linux on the device This BIOS creates an AHCI SATA Controller Mode selection to allow for the installation of the Linux operating system This BIOS is NOT intended for use with machines running a Windows operation system the official changelog of the new BIOS Installation Linux to Windows Lenovo Update Devices BIOS 10 Releases Allow on version reads Drivers should allow Linux installation on any device Lenovo confirmed from the very beginning that installation of Linux on its devices was possible with the right drivers but the company didn t say a single thing about updates that would be provided for the Yoga Signature Lenovo Releases BIOS Update to Allow Linux Installation on Windows 10 Devices Edition To improve system performance Lenovo is leading an industry trend of adopting RAID Lenovo Releases BIOS Update to Allow Linux Installation on Windows 10 Devices on the SSDs in certain product configurations Lenovo does not intentionally block customers using other operating systems on its devices and is fully committed to providing Linux certifications and installation guidance on a wide range of products - Linux for Personal Systems - Lenovo Support Unsupported models will rely on Linux operating system vendors releasing new kernel and drivers to support features such as RAID on SSD the company stated in its original statement You can go here to download the new Lenovo Yoga BIOS update that makes it possible to install Linux on a Signature Edition laptop and make sure that you read all the instructions before starting the flashing process nbsp

https://malwaretips.com/threads/lenovo-releases-bios-update-to-allow-linux-installation-on-windows-10-devices.65075/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi there can anyone suggest PC my crash USB devices a remedy to the following My PC has started to crash whenever my PDA tries to USB devices crash my PC connect through Activesync when I use USB devices crash my PC Mokia sync software for my mobile phone synchronising the same happens Also when I use a USB mass storage device the system freezes I have replaced the hard disk and rebuilt a fresh installation of XP SP I have added new memory which I have removed again in case there was some kind of incompatibility I have bought a separate USB PCI card I have upgraded the PSU to W I have tried removing activesync and Nokia phone syncing software but it still crashes I've downloaded all the system updates from Microsoft I've run out of ideas Next step is goodbye motherboard but I reckon there is some USB PCI driver issue going on somewhere My system is Athlon XP MB Ram GB hard drive ECS K S A motherboard MB AGP graphics card Running XP SP Many thanks Mark

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-devices-crash-my-pc-59178.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I m starting a new thread as it seems my problems have escalated Here s the link to my first thread http forums techguy org all-other-software -windows-explorer-error html So I m in the middle of installing in Windows Crash XP Update a Microsoft Windows XP update from XP Crash in Windows Update the Microsoft website and I get a blue screen It says something about a problem occurring XP Crash in Windows Update that has caused XP Crash in Windows Update Windows to shut down It says something about checking for BIOS updates and disabling caching and shadowing It then says STOP x E xC xF EO OxB C x sr sys - Address F E base at F F Date Stamp cde Physical Memory Dump Complete I had to shut the power down and restart the computer which seemed to go OK I then got a box that says Windows has recovered from a serious error Under technical info it says BCCode e BCP C BCP F E BCP B C BCP OSVer SP Product I m not really sure what I should be doing here Should I try reinstalling the updates nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

I have had a number of Windows updates and each time the PC has crashed when they have tried to be installed.

Today I tried again and allowed one installation KB 979306. This failed to install and I got an error code 8024200D. The update that caused the crash was KB 979099. These are both classed as important.

Any ideas what I should do or what the problem may be?

A:Windows Update Causes PC To Crash

Make sure you have already installed Application Compatbility Updates from both sites:
1)The Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update
2)August 2009 Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Application Compatibility Update

If not please do that and next try again install KB979099

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/271039-windows-update-causes-pc-crash.html
Relevancy 50.74%

i recently ran windows update and found out that i could no longer change the settings for the update. in this link, Windows Update Settings - Change, step 3, the install updates automatically is greyed out. i am using windows 7 32-bit ultimate. furthermore, it says that my settings is managed by my system administrator and i am the only user of the pc.

A:windows update settings

Check this out, it might be what you are looking for.
Administrative Tools - Restore Shortcuts

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/115897-windows-update-settings.html
Relevancy 50.74%

When I hit the windows button, go into settings, then into update and security, then to windows update, there are five dots that endlessly scroll across the window. If I click to a different tab, like backup, then back to windows update, the settings window crashes. What is the cause? How can I fix this?

Relevancy 50.74%

this is getting retarded.
3rd time windows 10 update is resetting everything to default settings

all my program associations are back to default all my network settings are back to default. everything is hijacked by this stupid update that took me months to adjust

is there a program that will lock all my settings so the update cant change it

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/windows-10-update-changes-all-settings-278228/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello-

I have two questions about windows update.

First is whether there is anyway to completely disable Windows update from bugging me about restarting my computer to install updates. I know about setting the interval to the max of 1440 in the group policy editor and I know how to manually kill the service with net stop wuauserv. Neither of those stop it from coming back completely.

The second is if there is anyway to unsubscribe from getting microsoft's monthy malware removal tool update. Seems trivial I know, but I get tired of hiding it.

Thank you

A:Windows update settings

Hello livevil,

You could use the tutorial below to disable Windows Update automatic restart to let you manually restart when you're ready to. Windows Update - Enable or Disable Automatic Restart
It's would best to always install the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) updates to help keep your system safer.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/303729-windows-update-settings.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I know you guys are busy, but I cannot locate a fix for this.  Windows Update will not update.  It reads"0 of XXXKb" downloading, but never gets beyond that. I use three browsers because I hate Interent Explorer, but each crashes.  Comodo Dragon and Ice Dragon, Mozilla Firefox.  They simply crash.  Internet Explorer needs to be updated, but it took over ten minutes and still did not install. Windows Security Essentials stop working on their own. One more thing: my system is slow.  I've upgraded to a new motherboard and installed 16GB or RAM, but it is actually slower than the previous build. Any help would be appreciated. Cass

A:Windows Won't Update and Browsers Crash

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/619704/windows-wont-update-and-browsers-crash/
Relevancy 50.74%

I'm stumped here I have a client who has a Dell Optiplex running XP Pro She received an error when trying to print about the Print Spooler service not running I checked services and it was even stopped started and rebooted Nothing So then I searched around and found a suggested fix by going to System gt Advanced gt (windows wuauclt.exe XP crash update) on Performance Settings and setting the Data Execution Prevention to the spooler service exe under the Windows directory I rebooted and upon logging in received a wuauclt exe had a problem and had to close error Past that the desktop wall paper would load but no task bar and no icons Does the same thing under safe mode except no wallpaper just a black screen with the safe mode notification and build info at the screen edges I understand wuauclt exe has something to do with Windows Update So then I did a Windows Repair It ran fine but on reboot received a BSOD referencing a stop at C I can occasionally still get XP crash on wuauclt.exe (windows update) to the login but still get the wuauclt exe crash and then it stops at loading the wallpaper or black in safemode My user says the only thing she did this morning prior to the problem was downloaded and installed the Adobe Acrobat Reader update that popped up As much as I'd like to blame that I think it had something to do with setting the DEP but now I can't even get in to change it Any ideas

A:XP crash on wuauclt.exe (windows update)

Looks like everyone was stumped. Turns out the wuacult.exe file was infected with worm.autorun. Found it with Malwarebytes and removed. However, fixing it trashed the system and it was not recoverable. Had to reinstall. Client had NO antivirus installed and uses the Outlook Reading Pane. Or did, I think she finally learned her lesson.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-crash-on-wuauclt-exe-windows-update-369117.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,
Recently after activating my copy of Home Premium x64 a dialog box has been popping up saying that the automatic updates has stopped working. If I press close the program the dialog box comes back about half a minute later. The details of the crash are:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: wuauclt.exe
Application Version: 7.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 4791a227
Fault Module Name: StackHash_2ea1
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000100000002d
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 2ea1
Additional Information 2: 0411f401154786662c220fbfdaf8b4f5
Additional Information 3: 16ba
Additional Information 4: 954b39dd611850a61426512ac5220bbc
I had to also change the date to get the activation to work as the computer was a few months behind. Is there anything I can do?
Thanks

Relevancy 50.74%

I just had a blue screen crash during the latest Windows Update install. It was an update of the Bit Defender definitions. Windows downloaded the update, created a restore point and then crashed during the installation.

I used BlueScreenView and took screen caps of the information pertaining to this particular crash. I was previously plagued with blue screen crashes, but haven't had one in a month after disabling Teredo Tunneling and uninstalling Zone Alarm, using the built-in firewall instead. I can post the mini-dump if my bluescreenview screen caps don't contain enough of the information. (I didn't include them now because most of it is from previous issues that I think were resolved a month ago.)

It may just be an issue with the automatic restart after the Update was installed. I think that may have happened once before.

Should I be concerned about this?

A:Crash during Windows Update Install

Please post the information from this post: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/99569-crash-during-windows-update-install.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi I hope someone can help me Windows did an update a couple of days ago and I ve had nothing but problems since I managed by some miracle to get out crash so windows problems many after update of the continuous reboot loop and get Windows to load after days of so many problems after windows update crash trying but now am getting a couple of errors and issues I just can t seem to resolve I have a Lenovo Laptop with Vista home premium processor Intel Core Duo CPU email protected Ram memory GB system type -bit operating system The first problem is When I boot the laptop I get the following error box Windows exe - NET framework Initialization Error To run this application you must first install one of the following versions of the NET framework v I m not sure what thats about or how to fix it The second problem is I want to have Windows do a backup of my files but when I try I get the following error Transaction support within the specified file system resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an error x A Please try again Finally even though programs seem to be running fine on the computer itself anything to do with being online takes forever now Even getting this forum to load took a couple of hours downloading files are as a snails pace I am using a cricket USB modem and normally have very fast online access responses I tried uninstalling the cricket software as well as the google chrome browser and re-installing but that hasn t helped Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix any of these issues please Thanks in advance Because it s a Lenovo it SEEMS their One Touch Recovery software i do not like it keeps windows from setting normal Windows recovery points nbsp

A:so many problems after windows update crash

Have you tried Windows "System Restore"? You should see the Update restore point to take it back prior to the updates.
Also, you could try installing the .net framework here..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en

Good luck, and I'm sure someone else with more experience will be along to help you out.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/so-many-problems-after-windows-update-crash.980513/
Relevancy 50.74%

after installing the windows updates this week on my winxp sp3 laptop i discovered that with plugging in the usb mouse the system crashes and goes into a continual reboot, it does flash a bsod when crashing but isn't up long enough to read one word of it. when i unplug the mouse the laptop boots up fine but as soon as i plug the mouse in it crashes. I'm happy that it appears that plugging in a flash drive doesn't cause it to crash. Can anyone recommend a route for me to take to hopefully correct this? I tried different mice and each crashes the system with the repeated reboot. thanks for any help.

A:mouse crash after windows update

Welcome back to TSF

Lets make sure its the update that is causing this. Recently Microsoft has urgently pushed out a remote-code exploit that could spread rapidly like the 2003 MSBlaster worm. Read below:

Quote:

A remote-code exploit that could spread rapidly like the 2003 MSBlaster worm is putting all versions of Windows at risk.
Rare out-of-cycle patch emphasizes the risk

With little warning, Microsoft released yesterday an unscheduled or "out-of-cycle" patch for a highly critical vulnerability that affects all versions of Windows. Security bulletin MS08-067 (patch 958644) was posted to warn of a remote-code attack that could spread wildly across the Internet.

Microsoft says it found evidence two weeks ago of an RPC (remote procedure call) attack that can potentially infect Windows machines across the Net with no user action required.

Windows Server 2003, 2000, and XP (even with Service Pack 2 or 3 installed) are particularly vulnerable. Vista and Server 2008 gain some protection via User Account Control, data-execution protection, and other safeguards, as explained in an article by Dan Goodin in the Register.

While firewalls are a first line of defense against this attack, don't think you're secure just because you have a firewall. Malware and viruses use many different techniques to wiggle their way into our systems.

For example, my office's networks are protected by firewalls on the outside, but inside the network, PCs have file and printer sharing enabled. If a worm got loose inside the office network (and the patch hadn't been installed), the attack would spread like wildfire.

Many antivirus vendors have already issued definition updates that protect against this attack. Your antivirus program, however, may not protect you completely even if your AV definitions are up-to-date. Early reports indicate that there are already nine different strains of viruses trying to take advantage of this vulnerability. We can expect more to come, so even the best AV application may not be able to update fast enough.

I've tested this patch and have had no problems applying it. I strongly urge you to download and install this patch manually. Restart your PC before installing any patch to verify that your machine is bootable. Then be sure to reboot again after installing the patch, so the patched binaries completely replace the vulnerable components.

To get your patch read more here
http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/081024

There were some interesting links about this patch , some people having problems with it .Look at this:

(KB958644)
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg01873.html
and
http://gosublogger.com/2008/10/micro...8-067-updates/
and update (KB958644)

Reboot and let me know if it resolved the issue at hand
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1060895.htm

So my suggestion to you is go to Add/Remove Programs, make sure updates are checked to be shown and remove the update (KB958644)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/mouse-crash-after-windows-update-306342.html
Relevancy 50.74%

i have vista home premium 64bit sp1, think it started when activating windows update, i didnt want to install an active control, chose another method thats when i got blue screen system shutdown and i see this irql not less or equal..

windows update wasnt able to find any updates, so i went back to activating windows installed the active control, now im able to check for updates.

only thing is when i try installing the updates, it just tries to install but nothing is installing, then blue screen shutdown, how can i get the updates to install? appreaciate any help..

A:windows update crash when downloading

irql not less or equal

This commands mean unindetefied conflict with drivers or hardware

We need more details to diagnose.Pack the whole C:\Windows\Minidump folder and attache to post

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/251793-windows-update-crash-when-downloading.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have no sound after updating from a computer crash about two weeks ago There was sound before I updated from windows update and then nothing I have researched all over after crash/update, Windows No XP etc! in sound the internet to find a way to reverse the effects to no avail I have uninstalled the device and reinstalled it with driver updates without driver updates without drivers thus allowing No sound in Windows XP after crash/update, etc! windows to find the drivers and install them I have gone online to various sites to update all the drivers involved including the codecs Then I uninstalled XP professional yes I had Professional and Home versions of XP because I read somewhere that may be the cause of the problem No sound I have updated Windows Media Player to no avail I have updated Real Player to no avail The installed device is Modem for playback and record There are no speakers installed supposedly and there is no way to adjust the volume because nothing is installed to adjust Do I sound frustrated and sarcastic You bet I have been trying to get my sound back for more than two weeks I have seen other posts on this site that I have tried to no avail I have cleared my registry several times and cookies temporary files etc Nothing has worked Any help would greatly appreciated Please feel free to ask questions because I have done so much stuff that I can remember all of it Oh yeah I have run the troubleshooter so many times that I have practically memorized it Thanks for anything you can do to help nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

last night we had a heap of updates and today I can only get the computer to come up with things like start at last operating position or safe start etc but no matter what I do it just restarts over and over again.
I tried the windows disc but it starts to fix but nothing happens

A:xp windows update crash computer

Boot the computer with the XP CD in. Press R to get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /F and press enter. Check Disk will try and fix any file errors.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-windows-update-crash-computer-670091.html
Relevancy 50.74%

My friends got me to do an overnight quot upgrade quot to Windows and it all went well except all games freeze VERY often Around every minutes every game ranging from Smite to Sid Meier s Civilization to Dungeon Defenders all freeze up The only thing that could unfreeze my games was to Ctrl Alt Del out and then the game would magically start again Occasionally however my entire computer would just hard freeze and nothing would fix it I got tired of Windows really fast as a result so I went back to Windows and the problem persists My NVIDIA drivers are up to date I contacted NVIDIA Customer Support as well as Microsoft Customer Support None could help but Microsoft customer support was especially useless because the representative thought I talking about my Xbox the entire time I am not tech savvy at all so this is very frustrating Nonetheless I think some obscure hardware piece might overheated due to being left on all night in a musty crash games my to 10? Windows All after update room I never had this problem before upgrading to Windows Any help will be appreciated PS Should this type of problem even go under hardware It could be a fault operating system couldn t it This is my first post on All my games crash after update to Windows 10? these forums so I could be posting incorrectly Bear with me please My Specs- http puu sh jSwAh dd f aa png nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/all-my-games-crash-after-update-to-windows-10.1154766/
Relevancy 50.74%

My Lenovo is running on Windows 8, and it freezes randomly with the times being every month or two. I looked up this problem and it said that it was something to do with after BIOS and all other drivers are updated, the HDD is defective (link here). The person giving the report also said that the problem occurred when she was running Windows 7.
My question is: Would the same effect happen in Windows 8?

A:Update from Windows 8 Causing my PC to Crash?

It would be worth running Lenovo PC Doctor & calling Lenovo support with the report.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/24414-update-windows-8-causing-my-pc-crash.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Any time I go to Tools gt Windows update IE Crash's I click the send report but it doesnt provide me any data that might help I also get the same problem when trying to load the AOL webmail page Both will work maybe out of times Ive googled this and not able to find much helpfil info Any help is appreciated If I check details it says the following file is included in the error report B appcompat txt Code lt DATABASE gt lt EXE page to update IE Crash's WIndows going when 6 NAME quot iexplore exe quot IE 6 Crash's when going to WIndows update page FILTER quot GRABMI FILTER PRIVACY quot gt lt MATCHING FILE NAME quot hmmapi dll quot SIZE quot quot CHECKSUM quot x C DA quot BIN FILE VERSION quot quot BIN PRODUCT VERSION quot quot PRODUCT VERSION quot quot FILE DESCRIPTION quot Microsoft HTTP Mail Simple MAPI quot COMPANY NAME quot Microsoft Corporation quot PRODUCT NAME quot Microsoft Windows Operating System quot FILE VERSION quot xpsp - quot ORIGINAL FILENAME quot HMMAPI DLL quot INTERNAL NAME quot HMMAPI quot LEGAL COPYRIGHT quot Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved quot VERFILEDATEHI quot x quot VERFILEDATELO quot x quot VERFILEOS quot x quot VERFILETYPE quot x quot MODULE TYPE quot WIN quot PE CHECKSUM quot x quot LINKER VERSION quot x quot UPTO BIN FILE VERSION quot quot UPTO BIN PRODUCT VERSION quot quot LINK DATE quot quot UPTO LINK DATE quot quot VER LANGUAGE quot English United States x quot gt lt MATCHING FILE NAME quot iedw exe quot SIZE quot quot CHECKSUM quot x C quot BIN FILE VERSION quot quot BIN PRODUCT VERSION quot quot PRODUCT VERSION quot quot FILE DESCRIPTION quot IE Crash Detection quot COMPANY NAME quot Microsoft Corporation quot PRODUCT NAME quot Microsoft Windows Operating System quot FILE VERSION quot xpsp - quot ORIGINAL FILENAME quot iedw exe quot INTERNAL NAME quot iedw exe quot LEGAL COPYRIGHT quot Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved quot VERFILEDATEHI quot x quot VERFILEDATELO quot x quot VERFILEOS quot x quot VERFILETYPE quot x quot MODULE TYPE quot WIN quot PE CHECKSUM quot x DE quot LINKER VERSION quot x quot UPTO BIN FILE VERSION quot quot UPTO BIN PRODUCT VERSION quot quot LINK DATE quot quot UPTO LINK DATE quot quot VER LANGUAGE quot English United States x quot gt lt MATCHING FILE NAME quot iexplore exe quot SIZE quot quot CHECKSUM quot xF A D F quot BIN FILE VERSION quot quot BIN PRODUCT VERSION quot quot PRODUCT VERSION quot quot FILE DESCRIPTION quot Internet Explorer quot COMPANY NAME quot Microsoft Corporation quot PRODUCT NAME quot Microsoft Windows Operating System quot FILE VERSION quot xpsp - quot ORIGINAL FILENAME quot IEXPLORE EXE quot INTERNAL NAME quot iexplore quot LEGAL COPYRIGHT quot Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved quot VERFILEDATEHI quot x quot VERFILEDATELO quot x quot VERFILEOS quot x quot VERFILETYPE quot x quot MODULE TYPE quot WIN quot PE CHECKSUM quot x A quot LINKER VERSION quot x quot UPTO BIN FILE VERSION quot quot UPTO BIN PRODUCT VERSION quot quot LINK DATE quot quot UPTO LINK DATE quot quot VER LANGUAGE quot English United States x quot gt lt MATCHING FILE NAME quot Connection Wizard icwconn dll quot SIZE quot quot CHECKSUM quot x AA quot BIN FILE VERSION quot quot BIN PRODUCT VERSION quot quot PRODUCT VERSION quot quot FILE DESCRIPTION quot Internet Connection Wizard quot COMPANY NAME quot Microsoft Corporation quot PRODUCT NAME quot Microsoft Windows Operating System quot FILE VERSION quot xpsp - quot ORIGINAL FILENAME quot icwconn dll quot INTERNAL NAME quot icwconn quot LEGAL COPYRIGHT quot Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved quot VERFILEDATEHI quot x quot VERFILEDATELO quot x quot VERFILEOS quot x quot VERFILETYPE quot x quot MODULE TYPE quot WIN quot PE CHECKSUM quot x C quot LINKER VERSION quot x quot UPTO BIN FILE VERSION quot quot UPTO BIN PRODUCT VERSION quot quot LINK DATE quot quot UPTO LINK DATE quot quot VER LANGUAGE quot English United States x quot gt lt MATCHING FILE NAME quot Connection Wizard icwconn exe quot SIZE quot q... Read more

A:IE 6 Crash's when going to WIndows update page

I would suggest to reset your IE to default settings.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie-6-crashs-when-going-to-windows-update-page-292627.html
Relevancy 50.31%

When I go to Settings, privacy, other devices, I can see four instances of my phone.
Can I remove these?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/443283-settings-privacy-other-devices-how.html
Relevancy 50.31%

the problem started when i reinstall my windows xp on my laptop dell inspiron times so i wanted to delete of them i had partitions C D E i deleted C and D and the went successfully but when i reboot before the windows started it showed me that i have windows so i select the first and it give me a message i don t remember what is it exactly something about this windows is no longer borad settings devices on exist and the select the ed the same message appeared the ed one worked perfectly so i wanted the windows to start without showing the windows on borad devices settings selection screen so boot the windows CD again and i select repair hoping that the windows selection will disappear and windows will start immediately but i had a problem the didn t start so i quit and reboot again and i got options F re-try boot F bois F something i don t remember so i tried to boot again the bois can t see my HD harddrive so press F onborad devices gt SATA on borad devices settings operation gt ATA I want it back to AHCI but when I do the windows won t start and the BOIS can t see my HD i want to select AHCI mode and i want it to see my HD nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/on-borad-devices-settings.830650/
Relevancy 50.31%

Also have malware that is supposed to be removed by anti-spyware but isn t Computer is very slow to shut down - sometimes doesn t Computer is very slow in general Really need some help Changed. Settings Windows Update Also have malware that is supposed to be removed by anti-spyware but isn t Log posted after hijack this Any help appreciated Paxwax Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system Windows Update Settings Changed. services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Bell Security Manager Fws exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe C Program Files SpywareDetector SDSystemTray Windows Update Settings Changed. exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Bell Sympatico Security Advisor SSA exe C PROGRA Yahoo MESSEN ymsgr tray exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Common Files Authentium AntiVirus dvpapi exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files CA PPRT bin ITMRTSVC exe C Program Files Raxco PerfectDisk PDAgent exe C Program Files SpywareDetector SDService exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files UPHClean uphclean exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Bell Security Manager rpsupdaterR exe C Program Files Raxco PerfectDisk PDEngine exe C WINDOWS system freecell exe C Program Files internet explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www my yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul rch search html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - no file O - BHO Pop-Up Blocker BHO - C EA -E A - E -A -D B C A - C Program Files Bell Security Manager pkR dll O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut HDAudPropShortcut exe O - HKLM Run ISUSScheduler quot C PROGRA COMMON INSTAL UPDATE issch exe quot -start O - HKLM Run SDAutoLiveupdate C Program Files SpywareDetector LiveUpdateSD exe -AUTO O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - HKLM Run Adobe Photo Downloader quot C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe quot O - HKLM Run SystemTraySD C Program Files SpywareDetector SDSystemTray exe -AUTO O - HKLM Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quot C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run SSA exe quot C Program Files Bell Sympatico Security Advisor SSA exe quot AUTORUN O - HKLM Run Sympatico Security Manager quot C Program Files Bell Security Manager Rps exe quot O - HKLM Run -FreedomNeedsReboot quot C Program Files Bell Security Manager ZkRunOnceR exe quot O - HKLM RunOnce IndexCleaner quot C Program Files Bell Security Manager IdxClnR exe quot O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - HKCU Run Yahoo Pager quot C PROGRA Yahoo MESSEN YAHOOM E... Read more

A:Windows Update Settings Changed.

Mtsyerious goings on. They temp files with 0 bytes. I have not deleyed them yet they show up over and over again in recycle bin. Help Pkease!

Keith

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-settings-changed.652014/
Relevancy 50.31%

Okay, so it's been awhile since I needed to ask a question on here. But, here it is:

I recently finished my time at university. This means I've been able to move back to an ISP that doesn't have the kind of draconian security that we had at school.

At university, they set group policy to require everyone to have Windows Update on "Install Updates Automatically." This, however, is not the most convenient setting for me. Unfortunately, I've been unable to change it. Any ideas on how I can change my group policy to allow myself this setting?

A:Changing Windows Update Settings

Have you removed your computer from the domain they had at the university? Once the machine is removed from the domain the GP should not apply to your PC any longer.

Raj

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/115203-changing-windows-update-settings.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Unable to run Windows Update on this Windows 8.1 desktop.   I'm being prompted that ‘some settings are managed by system administrator’ and if I attempt to change the settings, the option is greyed out.   Currently states in grey 'Never check for updates'.

I'm the administrator with administrator rights.   Windows update was working, but just noticed yesterday this issue.  

Thanking you in advance.
mp04279

A:Windows Update - cannot modify settings

Please make a screenshot of this message and attach it in your topic.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options. 

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585850/windows-update-cannot-modify-settings/
Relevancy 50.31%

A very simple question please Considering the changes for WU coming shortly and I assume the three categories of updates important recommended optional no longer exist or apply and that we either install the Update rollup they send or not should the Settings be adjusted settings Update October for Windows to Install updates automatically Currently I have check for updates but let me choose Will any of the Settings make a difference or Windows Update settings for October will the October Update just get downloaded and installed regardless of Settings - unless of course WU was turned off I don't intend to turn WU off but my HP laptop has gotten cranky in its old age and I haven't had the ability to restore to an earlier time and some other defects for many months and do not want to attempt repair of System Restore again right now Would it be best to wait and see how the October rollup affects other older laptops or just install what MS sends because it includes the security update I currently have optional updates waiting to be downloaded and installed I'd prefer not to do that Thanks for some guidelines HP Windows Update settings for October Pavilion g W Home Premium EAM MBAM Prem

A:Windows Update settings for October

If you have check for updates but let me choose when to install them you will still get a notification of the rollup package and you will have the option to install or not. If you avoided any important updates in the past those updates will be installed in the next rollup. Microsoft will be offering monthly security only rollups via the Windows Update Catalog site which can only be accessed via IE. These will still be rollups so you will have to update all the monthly security updates or none.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628432/windows-update-settings-for-october/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello all,
My first post here. I did not see this problem while searching the forums so I hope it hasn't already been addressed. I'm running XP Home and Mozilla. I recently changed my Auto Update settings to notify me before downloading
updates, but now I find WU is downloading updates as I type this. I'm not sure if this if SP2 or not but it does seem to be a sizeable download. I'm on dial-up so it will be awhile before I know what the update is. Also, I'm using ZA 5.1 and do not allow IE access to the internet. Anyone know why update would start without notifying me first?

Relevancy 50.31%

My settings on webpages seem to have gone err

Previously, I had

Address bar
Menu bar
Tabs on the same line as command prompt

How do I get the settings back to how they looked before, like this:

A:Error Settings following Windows Update

First we will have to know which version of Internet Explorer you are using.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/error-settings-following-windows-update-639929.html
Relevancy 50.31%

So a week or two I turned off windows update when reinstalling nvidia drivers. Im sure I put it back to normal, but what exactly are the deafult settings? Today I had a notification saying windows will install updates as scheduled, which I havent really seen before, so im guessing I may have miscondigured the settings.

A:what are the default windows update settings

Go to Start Menu and type = Update = Near the top you will see = Windows Update = Click on that and it takes you to where you can make changes. Click on = Change Settings =. It should be = Install Updates Automatically = and there are four boxes at the bottom. I have the first three checked. The one on the bottom is not necessary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/341386-what-default-windows-update-settings.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Everything went well on the Win10 installation, but the only problem is that when I go to access the settings tab in the start menu, it just flashes briefly like it tries to open the settings window, and then disappears, so I can't access anything in the settings. No update checking, just nothing. Everything else seems to work... I can also access the system info window and it shows Windows 10 to be activated.

Edit: I can get to the control panel, and I can see Windows Update, but I get this error message when I try to click on it:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I Googled the message and there are many reasons for that error, and many solutions - but none specific to my issue (that I can find).

A:Can't open Settings (Windows Update)

red454, I am having the exact same issue and Google brought me to your thread after trying other solutions. If anyone has an answer, would appreciate it.

On another note, the Search bar (via the taskbar & Ctrl S) is not working for me at all, not sure if others are having the same problem.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/9943-cant-open-settings-windows-update.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hey everyone. It seems like every time I restart my computer or turn it on after its been off the Action Center has an alert and it tells me that I need to change my Windows Update setting back to the recommended one which is where it automatically downloads and installs updates. I need some help with making the Windows Update setting stay where I put it which is the automatically downloads and install updates. Thanks in advance.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4863 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9100, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 599384 MB, Free - 538906 MB; D: Total - 10992 MB, Free - 1649 MB;
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, VIOLET6
Antivirus: COMODO Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

A:My Windows Update Settings Keep Changing

Open action center, in the upper left corner click on ( Change Action User Settings) under Security Messages uncheck Windows update . You at least need to have Windows Update set to notify you when updates are available for down load .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-windows-update-settings-keep-changing.1121297/
Relevancy 50.31%

I am having problems with the windows update settings. I want to turn on the setting to allow me to update windows and also all other Microsoft software on my computer. I have looked on other computers and this option is available however on my computer this option is not available. I have installed all available updates for my computer and still have not got these options available. What can I do to resolve this ?

Attachment 297051

A:Missing settings in Windows Update

Please post a screenshot so I can see what's missing

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/314742-missing-settings-windows-update.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I other and questions settings update Windows think Windows update settings and other questions I've created a similar mess A CNET email prompted to check today and discovered that I've not installed any updates since mid-December I found I had Windows Update set to quot Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them quot Windows Update never told me it found updates nor asked if I wanted to download and install any This seems a totally useless setting Is it supposed to work differently I reset the setting to quot Download updates but let me choose whether to install them quot Then I ran Windows Update It ran for a long time Now I appear to have a list of files in Windows gt SoftwareDistribution gt Download that are ready to be installed it is a random mix of critical and recommended updates Belarc lists quot Microsoft security bulletins Of course the file-names are uninformative letters and numbers Do I need to be concerned about a stealth Windows install being among them I also see my settings currently include quot Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates quot and quot Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows quot Should I turn one or both of these off before I reboot I'm confused about how to deal with these latter two categories I'd like to be able to 'pick and choose' and perhaps even make notes and research some of them and then come back again and install some of them Thank you in advance for any suggestions what I should do next baumgrenze

A:Windows update settings and other questions

I persisted and finally reached a 'Select Updates to Install.' There were 48 'important updates' and 2 'optional' updates. Curiously one of the 'optional updates' came 'preselected' and I needed to uncheck it. It was the option to install Windows 10!

I'd still like to understand why Windows Update did not tell me there were critical security updates I needed to download and install. The application was set to "Check for updates...."

I am still confused why I needed to run "Check for Updates" twice in Windows Update before I reached the "Select Updates..." screen.

thanks

baumgrenze

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/392917-windows-update-settings-other-questions.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I've been finding computers on our network that have password protected sharing turned on suddenly. One of them just upgraded (automagically) to Windows 10. If that's going to happen, what are the "rules"?

Another example, cross subnet File Sharing lost all of the subnet information.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/43758-update-windows-7-changes-firewall-settings.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Ok so I recently reinstalled windows and upgraded to windows 8.1 and ever since I did all the updates something is changing my windows update settings. I keep the settings to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download them or install them" but something keeps changing it back to "Never check for updates". At first I thought it was just after a reboot but today it happened multiple times. I installed winpatrol to see if I could see what was making this change but all I get is a warning saying a change has been detected. I have already done virus scan(I am using bit defender total security), also used malwarebytes and superanitspyware for scans but no viruses or anything. I will attach the screen shot to what it looks like(the winpatrol warning i mean)

A:Windows or something is changing my update settings

Did you click Reject Change and does the situation re-occur?

In the elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow to repair possible corrupt system files.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/50418-windows-something-changing-my-update-settings.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello I have recently just built a system off of parts that USB To My Devices Causing Computer Are Crash I had purchased from newegg The computer runs great however whenever I plug in USB devices my computer gets BSOD messages such as IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL If I manage to connect a storage usb device such as a flash drive or external hard drive the transfer time is terribly slow I tried putting drivers onto my computer with a usb drive however they were corrupted It was not because of the drive either since the driver file extracted and loaded up perfectly on my laptop Here is a list of things I have tried and ruled out as the problem I disabled usb legacy in the BIOS changed the memory out updated the bios updated the motherboard drivers nForce drivers I started the computer in diagnostic mode safe mode and I USB Devices Are Causing My Computer To Crash removed the usb drivers in device manager and rebooted however errors still occur Overheating is not an issue though I played Call of Duty World at War for an hour without a hitch at max settings I was using a ps keyboard and USB Devices Are Causing My Computer To Crash a usb mouse My computer seems to tolerate the usb mouse most of the time without it crashes My system includes a W power supply Intel q gigs of G Skill pin mhz memory asus p n-d motherboard and a gtx I m deciding whether I should return the motherboard for a refund or USB Devices Are Causing My Computer To Crash I should try and fix it quick I m thinking the motherboard is what the problem is Any help would be appreciated nbsp

A:USB Devices Are Causing My Computer To Crash

I had the same problem not to long ago, turned out that my usb ports were just wired wrong. I unhooked them and got out the motherboard owner's manuel and hooked them back up to correct places, then just like that the ports were working fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-devices-are-causing-my-computer-to-crash.121454/
Relevancy 49.88%

I've built the following PC and need your help figuring out why Windows won't load CPU Intel Core i - K GHz Quad-Core Processor Motherboard Asus Z -A ATX LGA Devices help troubleshooting 25%" "Getting -- your at Ready Need Crash Motherboard Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case Storage Samsung Pro Series GB Solid State Drive amp a Seagate Barracuda TB RPM Internal Hard Drive Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black GB x GB DDR - Memory OS Microsoft Windows Home OEM -bit Power Crash at "Getting Devices Ready 25%" -- Need your help troubleshooting Supply Corsair CSM W Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN PCI-Express x a b g n Wi-Fi Adapter CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper EVO CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler While loading the OS I get to Getting Devices Ready XX where the XX would be either or I've been through several configurations to prove out hardware I thought I had the smoking gun when I found that I could connect an old HDD with Ubuntu loaded and operate that just fine I sent the disc back to Amazon and received the new one today loaded it up and it froze at the same Getting Devices Ready screen Intermittently the Getting Devices Ready screen will last for only a couple seconds Crash at "Getting Devices Ready 25%" -- Need your help troubleshooting and then I get a blue screen of death with one of two error messages WHEA Uncorrectable Error or clock watchdog timeout Google has nothing positive to say about these errors I'm not overclocking My fans and other hardware seem to operating appropriately - nothing seems to be working overtime I've tried disconnecting ALL peripherals except for the monitor I'm not online This is a new install not an upgrade I've reseated the memory I have tried disconnecting the optical drive when the automatic restart occurs prior to getting devices ready I also tried to load the OS on a different drive to no avail Again I am running Ubuntu on this machine This was an old drive to begin with and the root psswd is long been slept out of my head I'll load Ubuntu again and attempt to install mobo drivers but this seems like the wrong path

A:Crash at "Getting Devices Ready 25%" -- Need your help troubleshooting

Try these free bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html
Also, try another fresh copy of the W10 installation media (in case that's corrupted).

Then have a look at this procedure to see if it'll help you narrow things down a bit:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Post back as you find things out and we'll see what we can figure out.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617529/crash-at-getting-devices-ready-25-need-your-help-troubleshooting/
Relevancy 49.88%

Did anyone else suffer a crash after installing windows updates on 1-11-11?  I have a desktop computer and a laptop, and they both crashed after installing the updates.  They both went in to system restore mode and spent several minutes
trying to fix the problem before finally rebooting and coming out of the crash.  Both times a message came up afterward saying windows had suffered a major problem.  On both occasions the norton anti-virus and firewalls had been disabled on
reboot.  At first I thought it might be a virus on my desktop, but it was weird how the exact same thing happened on my laptop.  Any clue as to what caused it?  Is it possible to have updates do that to your system? Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6a0aab1e-48e0-4b8c-b105-a276200c0953/windows-update-caused-system-crash?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 49.88%
Relevancy 49.88%

I am finding a problem in which after some windows updates, all attempts to play media (any music or video file) will just freeze the application (doesn't matter which player used- even the windows startup and exit won't play the WAV sounds, and my browser will crash if i try and watch an FLV file), i always manage to fix it by restoring to before the update.

I am running a DELL 17 Studio laptop about 1 year old, Windows Home premium 7, 64-bit. I am not that technical so please don't ask questions about my hardware (as it's clearly an O/S issue),

Best regards
David

A:Playing any media causes crash after Windows Update

David,,enter cmd and type chkdsk/f and see if you pick up any errors...

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/119428-playing-any-media-causes-crash-after-windows-update.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi all I've recently installed a Compiler IDE I want avoid telling IDE name becouse my question is not related on it and it worked well But crash Compiler how update, IDE to clean windows after after installing SP and SP package of this Complier IDE it crash after creating a new project or opening a project I've uninstalled this IDE and reinstalled it without any additional SP packs likes in the first installation but now it crashes in the same point like happened with SP packages Here what's happend Installed Complier IDE Working Installed Complier IDE SP Installed Complier IDE SP Stopped working and crash Uninstalled Installed Complier IDE SP Installed Complier IDE without SP and SP Complier IDE's Stopped working and crash I suppose that Complier IDE's SP and SP changed something in Windows System that cause this error My question is how can I restore Windows Setting Registers Files to be able to run again this software excluding format What've tryed Uninstall Compiler IDE Delete all folders of Compiler IDE in Compiler IDE crash after update, how to clean windows - C - C Programs - C User User Name AppData Local LocalLow Roaming - C User User Name Documents Running CCleaner Manually remove all registers with Compliler IDE's name from RegEdit I wanted to try also Image System restore but my oldest Image System is when program doesn't work Any suggest I also wanted to try a Virtual Machine to avid format PC but it'll slow system any alternatives

A:Compiler IDE crash after update, how to clean windows

Try uninstalling it with something more powerful like Revo uninstaller.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Select Advanced Option > Select All and Delete All (both scans)

This will help find any leftover files from the installation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/365324-compiler-ide-crash-after-update-how-clean-windows.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi my name is Ken Carrier and I am new to the forums. I am currently having a problem with SVCHOST.EXE & NTDLL.DLL crashing when the computer starts. It seems that when any programs tries to update the svchost.exe crashes and the system becomes unusable. If there is anyone out there who can help me I would really appreciate it.

A:Windows Update Causes Crash SVCHOST.EXE & NTDLL.DLL

Hi .System manufacturer and model? What SP is installed?<<I am currently having a problem with SVCHOST.EXE & NTDLL.DLL crashing...>>What are the exact, full error messages, please?<<It seems that when any programs tries to update the svchost.exe crashes and the system becomes unusable.>>Seems unlikely that "any" program would trigger svchost.exe symptoms...since svchost.exe is used by various programs/functions. Have you tried using Process Explorer to get more specific details on which svchost process might be the problem?How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/ Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/329746/windows-update-causes-crash-svchostexe-ntdlldll/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi guys,

I think that the latest Windows 10 update might have reset my windows to the default (initial/standard) settings. I leave my PC ON over the night and when I woke up the PC seemed to have restarted over night (I say to myself it might have been that the power went off sometime over the night or that windows freaking 10 updates restarted my PC), and now I have all of the settings I did to windows back to their default state and all the file associations are reset back to default. Even the video player settings are reset to default.

What the **** just happen ?
EDIT: Great.... looks like all the software acts like they just have been freshly installed

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/36046-latest-windows-10-update-reset-windows-default-settings.html
Relevancy 49.88%

UPDATE I went into themes and everything is greyed out except the basic old themes I tried find and fix problems for aero themes display but it didn t come up with anything when looking through google I see things about updating registry entries but I m not sure I should be doing that based on google suggestions with my luck Windows did an update and now my system looks like its running an older version of windows see Windows version windows to system old settings update reverted my of attached picture If I do a system restore to before the update I can get it running like it should Windows update reverted my system settings to old version of windows again but there should be a way to fix this without the restore I just can t figure it out Any ideas I m also getting errors about not being able to log into the windows system to check for updates when I start the computer not sure if this has anything to do with Windows update reverted my system settings to old version of windows it Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU M GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB I Total - MB Free - MB J Total - MB Free - MB K Total - MB Free - MB L Total - MB Free - MB N Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Hewlett-Packard B Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated and Enabled nbsp

A:Windows update reverted my system settings to old version of windows

looks like it is set to best performance. i do this all the time, go to the start menu and type performance, then choose adjust performance settings. set it to adjust for best appearance. see if that works.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-reverted-my-system-settings-to-old-version-of-windows.1152239/
Relevancy 49.88%

So on June I shut down the PC and ok the Windows Update I turn the PC on today it still shows the four users that we have built into the PC but when I log into my user all user settings are gone My favorites are gone Outlook Express MS Outlook my Quick Launch Desktop background and icons everything tied to my user is gone When I launch My Computer and go into the quot User s Documents quot folder it does not have my settings Favorites etc lost User Update after settings Windows BUT when I drill into the file structure and go to my quot User settings lost after Windows Update User quot folder under quot Documents and Settings quot the Favorites and many other settings are in there My Programs seem to be all there except Google Chrome is mysteriously gone I m hoping my emails from OE and MS Outlook are still somewhere Is there a quick fix Turns out some of the Windows Updates cannot be uninstalled If not where would my Outlook Express settings be stored These are the updates User settings lost after Windows Update that were added KB KB Windows Imaging Component cannot be removed KB -v cannot be removed And a large number of Microsoft NET Framework Service Pack updates of them And a large number of Microsoft NET Framework Service Pack updates of them I can list the NET updates if it will help I am running Windows XP Media Centre Edition Service pack Thank you in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

I have my OS settings configured not to check for and install updates unless I prompt Windows to do so. I recently manually installed some updates. A few days later I noticed Windows was installing updates upon start up. I checked my update settings and sure enough they were set for everything to check and install updates automatically. What is going on here? I never noticed this kind of behavior with Vista or Windows 7.

Has anyone else noticed this or have a way to truly stop automatic updates?

A:Windows 8.1 Update Settings Changing without Permission

Hello Dricketts,

It appears that one of the OS updates in this last round of Windows Updates reset some of these settings back to default.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/48461-windows-8-1-update-settings-changing-without-permission.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I looked at my friend's computer at his small business and noticed that Windows Update had not run for months When I went in to change the settings it would not let running, Windows settings Update are not locked me change them and said quot Some settings are managed by your System Administrator quot There is no System Administrator at this man business And the user account I was in was an administrator I checked in User Accounts and found there is an admin user account called Help Desk My friend said that a computer guy had come in few months ago and set that up then the guy disappeared never to be Windows Update not running, settings are locked heard from again I know I can delete that user account but I'd like to be sure I can get Windows Update back to normal This is not the Pro edition there is no Group Policy Editor Any ideas where this locking down of Windows Windows Update not running, settings are locked Update would have been done and how I can undo it This is happening on one Win machine and two Win machines Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/45890-windows-update-not-running-settings-locked.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I'm having trouble loading all sites that use ActiveX, download .zip files, and getting windows update to load. This happened about 5 months ago and went away on it's own after a week. This time it's lasting a bit longer and I can't figure it out..

When I play around with the security settings, even though I might set them to low, it acts as if they're set to high, disabling everything. I've already ran Spybot and Adaware SE and they found nothing. I'm stumped.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I just noticed it won't let me open any .msc files. It's treating me like a limited user although in the user accounts, I'm listed as a Computer Administrator.

A:ActiveX/Security Settings/Windows Update

I would run your Windows disc in repair mode to allow an official fix of any problems it detects. Then I would save all your files and directories that are critcial to you, before starting over with a clean install. You are likely going to be plagued with problems until you have a clean install.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/activex-security-settings-windows-update.73719/
Relevancy 49.88%

Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings

Important updates
[check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them]

Microsoft Update & Software notifications will not stay unchecked.

I unchecked them & re-open Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings the checkmark returns. Any fix?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/384658-windows-update-settings-wont-stay-uncheck.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi!

I re-installed windows last night, and after downloading and installing all 160+ necessary updates successfuly, changed the settings to 'never check for updates' because i want to be able to do that by myself, once a week or so. However every time i check the settings, it seems that it's somehow again set to 'install updates automatically' and i don't know what's causing it.

I have installed some new software, like office and security essentials, etc, which might be what's changing the settings since they also require updates (?) but i'm not sure that's the cause, or if it's some sort of error with Windows Update, etc.

It's not a major issue, but i have heard that some updates failing can cause issues with restarting, so i would very much like to find a solution to the problem.

Thanks.

A:Windows Update keeps changing default settings.

Follow this tutorial to verify you are doing the procedure properly.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2797-windows-update-settings-change.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/323654-windows-update-keeps-changing-default-settings.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I'm really sorry if i can't explain my problem properly but there's something fishy going on on my laptop. Windows can't update, can't also access the windows update microsoft site, can't also access firewall settings, my xp theme had removed itself somehow. But fortunately there's no problem starting up, no problems playing vids and mp3s, speed is ok, no browser problems but i've had a handful of pc problems back then and i..can't just shake this off, very sorry i can't provide more details.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/318334/windows-xp-cant-update-and-cant-access-firewall-settings/
Relevancy 49.88%

I updated my Window 7 Ultimate today, and now when my computer reboots, it stops at the login screen. It used to just boot into my desktop and bypass the login screen. This is annoying because I use my tablet's wifi to check on and access things on my computer. If I have to go back to the desk to login, it kind of defeats the entire "mobile" computing thing I had going.
Does anyone know how to change that setting? And why did Microsoft change it?

A:Windows update changed login settings

It might be that the auto log on setting has been changed. See this tutorial to learn how to auto log on to your Windows: Log On Automatically at Startup

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/335767-windows-update-changed-login-settings.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi I have had this problem on my PC for ages but its got to the point where its really annoying When I attempt to access some settings a window will appear for a second and update access and Unable other windows settings to then close immediately before loading anything It happens when I try to access Windows Update and as automatic updates are turned off I haven t had any Unable to access windows update and other settings security updates for a while now When I go into security centre this does open I can see Automatic updating is turned off and when I choose to quot Change Settings quot a pop up appears Unable to access windows update and other settings prompting to choose automatic updating I select quot Install updates automatically recommended quot and it comes up saying Security Centre can t change your settings Change settings manually Clicking this link brings up a window that closes again immediately It also happens when I try to change my defaults such as trying to set iTunes as the default media player Does anyone know why this would happen Thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

Hi all I'm about at my wit's end with this so hopefully someone can shed a little light on it Last week Windows Update installed a new update and all of a sudden the gamma on my monitor was much brighter than what I had been working with The color settings on my computer are critical to my work so even just a small gamma after Windows Update messed up Display Settings change is not something I can live with I went into the Nvidia control panel Display Settings messed up after Windows Update to try to change it back but every time I would try to make any alteration it would reset back to the messed up setting This is even before I ever hit Apply I would make a change and immediately it would revert back to the messed up settings The exact same thing happened whenever I'd try to alter the color settings through the Windows Control Panel I tried altering the color using the monitor settings but that just doesn't even come close to having the same effect as the software The next day Nvidia came out with a driver update and then everything went back to normal Then the very next day after that Windows came out with another update and I was back to my messed up settings I've been scouring the internet and there appears to be a history of Nvidia Windows Updates issues but none of the solutions thus far have worked for me I've completely uninstalled everything Nvidia I've uninstalled the most recent two Windows Updates but I'm still not able to get my color settings back and my patience is starting to wear thin I feel like the only thing I haven't tried is completely reformatting the computer and starting over which even though this computer is still pretty new I'd still rather avoid at this point But like I said I'm about at my wit's end Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/33615-display-settings-messed-up-after-windows-update.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I've got two problems one is about Windows Update and one is about random error reporting windows It's just a few days ago when I went to bad at about am it kept telling me that it automatically downloaded the problems Error Reporting Windows and Crash Update updates without my permission and if I wanted to quot Postpone quot or Restart Of course I just kept clicking Postpone but eventually I saw a little selectable field asking me how long I want it to wait for it Crash Error Reporting and Windows Update problems to ask me again so I clicked for it remind me in four hours But then I Crash Error Reporting and Windows Update problems decided to go to bed but when I clicked Shut Down when I clicked the little arrow next to it so it doesn't install updates I expected it not to try and update but you know what happens next I went to bed as normal but for some reason the computer didn't turn off I went to take a look and what was it doing that I specificly told it not to do It was installing updates So I wait it out then ages later I get up again to check and it was on my desktop again whilst I was expecting it to Crash Error Reporting and Windows Update problems turn off So my big problem here is Windows Updates how do I shut this mofo up Second little problem is crash error reporting I don't know why it keeps showing up When I let my computer just start up all the problems I get an added window from crash error reporting saying something about Task Manager when I never even touched it It does this when I close Firefox too It may seem like a little problem but it's actually very annoying and I think it takes tiny bits of space too on the hard drive I'd very much appreciate some help thanks in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/crash-error-reporting-and-windows-update-problems-268463.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi all So my pc had started downloading updates and a few minutes later my system hung Desktop showed on monitor but mouse didn't move cursor hitting keys did nothing including good old alt ctrl del So I waited a minute to make sure it wouldn't recover and hit reset On windows startup it installed some of the updates Update after updates fails to crash download Windows it had started downloading before the crash However when I got into windows it said there were updates ready for download but whenever I try Windows Update fails to download updates after crash to download those I get an error Code B Windows Update encountered an unknown error Googling this I saw a suggestion to download and run System Update Readiness Tool Checksur exe which I did but still got the same error So I tried to do a system restore to the day before that crash still no go So I tried downloading the updates manually and install them but then I get told quot The update is not applicable to your computer quot So pardon my french but what the hell should I do I really really really don't want to reinstall windows PS Updates that fail are KB KB and KB

A:Windows Update fails to download updates after crash

Hello Valle, welcome to SF!

This sometimes happens when, for some reason, things are not updated in the right order. There are loads of other reasons but for me this is the most common.

Did you take a look at: Windows Update - Reset

It can help you reset the update history and put in what you want in the order advised.

Sometimes you don't want a specific update. That is when you use this: Windows Update - Uninstall an Update

Post back if you need more...

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/176382-windows-update-fails-download-updates-after-crash.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Had just downloaded auto update for .net framework on 3.07.13.
System totally locked.
Help.
Safe mode OK.

A:[SOLVED] Vista Crash After Windows Automatic Update.

Just perform a system restore.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-vista-crash-after-windows-automatic-update-701589.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I usually can figure stuff out through google but these problems have absolutely floored me. I have not been able to update Windows in quite some time. It claims it was never updated. I also cannot manually update Microsoft Security Essentials though it does seem to automatically update regularly. I've tried just about every suggestion on the net and nothing is working.

Then when updating my iPhone to the new iOS, the update crashed and now my phone can't even be restored through iTunes -- this may be possibly be caused by outdated Windows.

It's driving me insane. My phone is ruined, I can't update my stuff properly. What the hell? Please help!

A:Windows will not update (may also be causing iPhone crash with iTunes)

Quote:

Originally Posted by icarusbreathes

I usually can figure stuff out through google but these problems have absolutely floored me. I have not been able to update Windows in quite some time. It claims it was never updated. I also cannot manually update Microsoft Security Essentials though it does seem to automatically update regularly. I've tried just about every suggestion on the net and nothing is working.

Then when updating my iPhone to the new iOS, the update crashed and now my phone can't even be restored through iTunes -- this may be possibly be caused by outdated Windows.

It's driving me insane. My phone is ruined, I can't update my stuff properly. What the hell? Please help!

I solved it. Found a batch file through google, ran it and it slowly got my updates working again, then uninstalled all iTunes components again, reinstalled, and uninstalled the broken Apple drivers in device manager and it worked. YES!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-will-not-update-may-also-be-causing-iphone-crash-with-itunes-645479.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Rebootedmy laptop after latest Windows 7 updates. While closing it started installing latest service pack. Next time I looked at screen it had gone to a black screen scrolling white text. Each line is 'Recovering orphaned file xxxxx into directory xxxxx' has been doinng this continuously for an hour now with 2 or 3 occasional half second pauses. Any ideas what is happening and what I should do next?

A:Windows 7 update crash now getting recovering orphaned files

DO NOT MESS WITH IT!!!

IT is running chkdsk, which means your filesystem is corrupted.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-update-crash-now-getting-recovering-orphaned-files.1021882/
Relevancy 49.45%

While in Internet Explorer, my Windows 7 SP1 64-bit system froze.
I had to hard reboot it and tried to get into System Restore. I could not type into the command line or open Control Panel. This went on for 2 hours.

Somehow I got into System Restore and restored to before a Windows Update for:

definition update for windows defender - kb915597 (Definition 1.191.3347.0)

Seems OK now, but would like to know what happened.

Any ideas?
cb

A:Crash After definition update for windows defender - kb915597

Try the update again. Sometimes it just fouls out, but rarely.

Make sure you have System Restore turned on and plenty of disk space apportioned to it: System Protection - Change Disk Space Usage

If necessary you can always access System Restore from System Recovery Options by the various methods shown. I'd make my System Repair Disk if you don't have the Win7 installation media to boot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/359842-crash-after-definition-update-windows-defender-kb915597.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello all,

Installed a new motherboard and everything went well with that untill I start updating windows. Windows downlaods all the updates then does a restart and on the restart I get the blue screen of death. Please help. Many Thanks in advance.

A:Fresh Install - Large Windows Update Crash

Hello powerade,

► This is one, VIRTU LucidInterop WDDM Driver by LucidLogix

Code:
fffff880`04a12090 fffff880`03fd6900Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\VirtuWDDM.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for VirtuWDDM.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for VirtuWDDM.sys
VirtuWDDM+0xe900
Try to upload the driver from lucidlogix with GPU Solution.

► Intel HD Graphics Driver

Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck A, {fffffa7fffffffe0, 2, 1, fffff8000316c99c}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igdkmd64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdkmd64.sys
Probably caused by : igdkmd64.sys ( igdkmd64+a376f )

Followup: MachineOwner
Update it from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx.

Do the changes and let us know.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/257806-fresh-install-large-windows-update-crash.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Is there any solution to constant system failure to a level where the blue screen turns up and laptop can't be even turned on, after every system update?

I've checked the drivers and everything, but since the big update pack somewhere in March every update ends up in system failure. And the restore points before the updates are useless, because system doesn't recognize them.

After the second time this has happened and I've lost all the files that has not been backed up on hard drive I really start to think is there something wrong to Lenovo and Windows 7 combination?

I almost start to regret that I have legal version with update option.

A:System crash after every attempt to update Windows 7 64 bit on Lenovo

* It would be very helpful if we had your System Specs to know what we are dealing with...
System Info - See Your System Specs

* Have you received any error messages?

* Have you a Win 7 disk?

* IF you are having Blue Screens of Death

We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.
Please attach the DMP files to your next post not to post one.

If you are overclocking STOP

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

Quote:
* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

Quote:
* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/229872-system-crash-after-every-attempt-update-windows-7-64-bit-lenovo.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a new, home-built, hi-spec desktop pc with Win 8 Pro OEM and MS Office Home & Business 2010 installed. I have a Canon Pixma MP990 all in one with Win 8 drivers installed and it shows up in my list of devices under PC Settings/Devices.

I have no problems locating my printer (device) and printing within Office applications . However, I am not able to print a .pdf via Adobe Reader or anything which uses the Win 8 Start page. Ctl+P doesn?t produce a print dialogue and WinKey+K produces Devices but no printers. If I go to Charm/Devices, it lists no printers either. It?s early stages but I?m beginning to regret moving to Win 8 on a desktop pc.

Any ideas, please?
Pedro

A:Printer not in charm/devices tho list under PC settings

Hello Pedro,

It appears that the "Adobe Reader" Store app currently doesn't have a print feature available for it yet according to this link below at Adobe.

Adobe Community: Printing from Adobe Reader for Windows 8 Tablets

I would recommend to use the default Reader Store app that comes included in Windows 8 by default. It will allow you to print a .pdf in it.

Printing in Windows 8 Store Apps

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/19170-printer-not-charm-devices-tho-list-under-pc-settings.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Is there a script to run remotely that will return sleep setting results for multiple pc's on a network? I know we can manually check each PC but was wondering if there was a faster and easier way.

Thanks

A:verifying sleep settings on multiple devices

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Are people changing them?

How would you want to distribute the patch?

You can do so with a simple batch program.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/verifying-sleep-settings-on-multiple-devices-881561.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I am having problems with Windows Upgrade installing update files (eg, daily Windows Defender updates). The primary concern is an inability of the PC to 'install' new updates after automatically downloading the updates online.

The Task Scheduler "Tab" settings I am asking for are:

Task Scheduler/Windows Update/AU Session Connect/: what are your working settings for *Triggers, *Actions, and *Settings tabs.Task Scheduler/Windows Update/AU Firmware Install/: working settings for the *Conditions - and *Settings tabs.Task Scheduler/Windows Update/Scheduled Start: *Triggers, *Actions, *Conditions, and *Settings

bfb NOTE: Windows Update Folder is at the bottom of the list of Folders on the left of the picture.

thank you in advance

Relevancy 49.02%

Friends - I have been just quot putting up quot with this but my OCD nature is getting the better of me On a newish Lenovo laptop Control Panel via Settings Windows Update from differs PC with installed a laptop that does not stay quot On quot all the time but powered off then started fresh for use Windows Update accessed from Desktop mode via Control Panel will often show quot no updates quot and no issues problems etc either Windows Update accessed via PC Settings in quot Windows mode quot will after a protracted search during which the screen tile is locked why what's the point is it a bug is there a way to have one Windows Update via Control Panel differs from PC Settings instead of apparent Win Update applets utils One other nuisance I have that may or may not be related at the Lock Screen I will see the message quot There are updates - Go to PC Settings and install quot A number of times I have followed that kindly suggestion via PC Settings and returned with no updates Is that a spurious message My setting is currently quot notify but don't install quot thanks for your help

A:Windows Update via Control Panel differs from PC Settings

wow hard to read, so i apologies, because i had to much chocolate easter egg juice ,set it to download and install ,and forget about its,for over a year now i have had mine set to do that without Nari an issue,enjoy your computer ,just plug it and use it ,lol

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/44898-windows-update-via-control-panel-differs-pc-settings.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Afternoon everyone A few days ago my update 10 - issues with settings Windows display Latest Windows did the usual automatic updates on my PC However I was forced to undo those updates via Windows because the updates changed all of my display settings making my eyes burn and water when reading my screen my Latest Windows 10 update - issues with display settings settings are geared for someone with slightly bad eyesight who reads via the PC for a living However now that I have uninstalled the recent updates my PC is suddenly not working properly - my mouse does its own thing half the time as does Windows Explorer - things like highlighting words in documents when I've actually just clicked next to Latest Windows 10 update - issues with display settings the word opening documents when I try to highlight more than one adding tabs when I Latest Windows 10 update - issues with display settings place my cursor at the end of a paragraph going back two windows instead of one when clicking 'back' once in Windows Explorer opening multiple browser Firefox tabs when it would usually open in the same page but my browser settings are still the same or opening random webpages that I never clicked on the list goes on These issues are causing havoc and making it impossible to work Possibly relevant A few weeks after I first upgraded to Windows that was some time ago I started having similar issues - it turned out that some of my drivers had to be updated and as soon as that was done all the problems vanished However after undoing the recent updates my PC should be running exactly the way it was before and my drivers should surely not have been affected Does anyone know what exactly the latest updates are for and how I can install them manually one by one so I can see which one is causing the issue with my display settings and where can I find a list of the updates for manual download I did already find a list on Microsoft's website but it's in CSV format and I can't open that on my PC - any idea how I can view that list via Windows itself I am not very tech savvy when it comes to these issues and am super frustrated and stressed Any help will be VERY much appreciated Vanessa

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/66080-latest-windows-10-update-issues-display-settings.html
Relevancy 49.02%

[/CODE]I cannot change the Windows update settings even though I am the administrator. It is grayed out in the snapshot above. I am the only user. I created a local account as well. I need to change the update settings to download updates automatically but I am stuck on "check for updates but let me choose..". I need to change the setting in order to get internet access at my work using my home computer. The IT person at work recommended that I install Windows 8.1 to see if it would correct the problem, but the new installation did not work. This second screenshot shows that I am an administrator,I think. I would appreciate anyone's advice.

A:Unable to manage windows update settings as administrator

Hello Matthew, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Please go ahead and post a screenshot showing your Windows Update settings screen to see if it may help to ID what the issue could be.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/43334-unable-manage-windows-update-settings-administrator.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have automatic updates set to download automatically but to ask me when settings Windows Update Automatic spontaneously change to install them An update downloaded and I received a notice to click the little icon in the task bar when ready to install I had something critical running that needed to finish its work but Windows Automatic Update settings spontaneously change would take all night to run so I couldn't Windows Automatic Update settings spontaneously change install the updates right away I went to bed and at some point during the night Windows Windows Automatic Update settings spontaneously change installed the critical updates and forced the computer to restart I consequently woke with quite a surprise when I found my computer had been rebooted with a nice little alert from Windows telling me the reason I check the Automatic Update settings and sure enough they had changed to both download AND install No one but myself uses this computer and I did not change them In fact this is the nd time to my memory that the settings have spontaneously switched to download and install without me selecting it What is going on here

A:Windows Automatic Update settings spontaneously change

Sometimes when there are updates ready to install and you are shutting down the computer you will see at the shut down screen that you have a choice to either shut down after updates have installed or shut down without installing the updates.
Now something may have cause the system to reboot thus when the system rebooted it installed the updates before reboot. This is the only thing I can think of that may have allowed this update(s) to install.

What was the critical task that was being preformed at the time you left it alone for the night?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-automatic-update-settings-spontaneously-change-140518.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Dear all I have windows 10 pro and I have edited the group policy for windows update and has set it to notify me to download.
My problem is that after a few days windows automatically download updates and install them though I had set it to notify to download. It seems that the settings are not permanent and windows resets the group policy settings.
How can i make the settings permanent?

A:Windows 10 group policy update settings changes automatically

Rizvi,

I have done the same GP change also, one thing I ran across prior to upgrade was to be sure to manually hit the "check for updates" then look under advanced settings and it should say "Notify to download" on that screen, after changing the GP settings to # 2.

Also be sure to do a full re-boot (shut down - startup) unless you have fast startup disabled.

Note: I have just upgraded 1-15 so still waiting for an update, but I am interested if there are additional settings required.

Bill

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/38442-windows-10-group-policy-update-settings-changes-automatically.html