Windows Support Forum

DSL line - Gateway - Router - PC (internet)

Q: DSL line - Gateway - Router - PC (internet)

Hi
I get this DSL line into my house. It goes to the "DSL" connection on a Thomson TG546v-v7 Gateway. Then, a LAN cable goes from the "Ethernet" 1 connection on the Gateway to the "Internet" connection on a Linksys WRT54GH Router. The Internet Connection Type on the Router is set up as Static IP.

I'v read that the Gateway is to communicate between different network layers.
But would it be possible to set the Gateway up as a Router also?

When I connect my PC to the Ethernet connection on the Gateway, I get no IP and stuff, making it impossible to access the Gateway. How can I access a Gateway, without knowing IP?

Hope you can help me eliminate the Linksys Router, and get the Gateway to work as a router also

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: DSL line - Gateway - Router - PC (internet)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: DSL line - Gateway - Router - PC (internet)

Hey SirBlaBla. Your Thompson gateway is a combo DSL modem and wired mode router. Just connect your pc to one of the 4 LAN ports on the Thompson. You might have to call your ISP if specific settings need to be changed because you are using DSL. If your phone service comes in over this DSL line, make sure you use a splitter to split the signal, with one side going to the Thomson, and the other side going to your phone. If used in this way, make sure you use a DSL filter after the splitter on the line that goes to your phone so it removes the DSL signal from reaching your phone. This Thompson unit does not have wireless capability, so all pc's must be connected by Ethernet cable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dsl-line-gateway-router-pc-internet.197068/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello guys I have a question regarding packets. I am pretty computer illiterate when it comes to routers and modems and the statistics numbers behind how they work. I currently have 2 computers and a PS3 setup to my router. In the internet connections tab my router and gateway statistics show that my modem has been running for 19 days speed is 10.0 Mbps, and the packets sent are 16,844,112 and received is 66,017,332 is that good or bad? and can all that received data effect my internet connection? I am currently using Comcast as my ISP. I am not experiencing any lag but last night the modem reset and I was wondering if the data was the reason why?

A:Internet gateway Router

You can view a packet as a measurement of internet traffic, like a Megabyte.[1]
There is no fixed packet size, it depends on system settings, the hardware, and type of connection.

Should you be worried?
No.
The router is simply showing a basic networking statistic.

1: I know this is not completly technical correct, but good enough IMO

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/215949/internet-gateway-router/
Relevancy 62.35%

i noticed just a few hours ago that i have some internet gateway enabled and i cant get rid of it. if i disable it i can't connect to internet. their shouldnt be anybody connected to me or i to them i should only be connected to the wireless router. ive tried to uninstall my wireless adapter and the damn I.G. pops back up after i connect. its slowing me down. one other laptop wirelessly connects to the router but that lap top is off as for the moment so there should be nobody but i connected. all in all it says im connecting to another computer to the wireless router. does not make any sense at all. if somebody could shed some light on this i would appreciate it thanks...............................oh im running xp pro and im using a belkin G+ mimo wireless adapter if that helps

A:internet gateway enabled and only connected to router

If you use a router...that's your "gateway".

Disabling it should eliminate your Internet connection.

Some motherboards/systems show both the router and the local connection/modem connection...some show only the modem connection.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/338820/internet-gateway-enabled-and-only-connected-to-router/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello Here s what I have I have a router that provides internet access and connectivity to PC s over lan cables and multiple other stuff over the wireless connection One of those two pc s connected over lan is my desktop computer My desktop computer has lan ports one is connected to the router and it s used for router, internet troubles problems - crossover cable, gateway default accessing the internet or sharing files with computers connected with the router Here s what I want to do I want to use the other lan default gateway troubles - crossover cable, router, internet problems connector on my desktop computer to directly connect my new laptop so that it can be set it up as a render slave I need to connect it directly because it s much faster that way and the router doesn t have more than lan connectors which are both used I tried various ways to set up with straight or crossed cable I got the direct connection working but the problem is that to make it work the default gateway has to be set And if the default gateway is set on desktop connection and laptop connection there is no internet access on the desktop router address desktop connection gt with the router ip mask default gateway dns desktop connection gt for direct connection with the laptop ip mask default gateway dns none Laptop connection gt for direct connection with the desktop ip mask default gateway dns none ----------------------------------------------------------- If I remove the default gateway from the direct connections it says the network is unidentified public and unchangeable Also the desktop or the laptop cannot ping each other desktop connection gt for direct connection with the laptop ip mask default gateway none dns none Laptop connection gt for direct connection with the desktop ip mask default gateway none dns none ----------------------------------------------------------- How can one make the internet and the direct connection work at the same time I don t want to use internet connection sharing or other stuff if not necessary Laptop has Windows x Desktop Computer has Windows x nbsp

A:default gateway troubles - crossover cable, router, internet problems

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-gateway-troubles-crossover-cable-router-internet-problems.1109510/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a gateway to gateway setup between two rv082 routers, and the tunnel is up and working fine, but I don't understand how to setup to see my domain from one office to the other, each office is on it's one static ip and like I said it is working. I have a domain at my main office and would like to see it and connect to computers (servers) at that location. my domain is internal only, do I need to setup a dyndns account and point is to my server or how does this work? I am lost a this point. I have a vpn setup and that works fine, but that is not what I want. I thought if I am at my other office and with a tunnel connection working I should see the main office computers. please help with detailed instructions.
thanks for any help.

A:Solved: gateway to gateway with rv082 router

So a network diagram would do wonders in understanding what you have set up.

When you say you have a tunnel up between two RV082 routers, you have a site to site VPN tunnel running. So I don't understand what you mean by having a VPN setup, working fine, and that it's not what you want.

If you already have a domain set up, you just need to add the remote computers to the domain. This will require that the routing work properly between the two sites using the site to site VPN tunnel.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-gateway-to-gateway-with-rv082-router.913278/
Relevancy 55.9%

I can't connect to windows or msn messaging, can't get mail sais "gateway appears to be off line" What does this mean and how can I fix the prob. Its been two weeks now I have searched and searched but can not find a troubleshooter Please help someone alot of pages sais "can not be displayed' ????????????
Thanks
Athyna

A:gateway off line??????

Maybe I am having a brain cramp but cant I am unclear about the exact nature of your problem.

You can get on the internet but the instant messengers wont work??

Internet explorer works ok?

You have a dial up or high speeed connection?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gateway-off-line.439649/
Relevancy 55.04%

I've got a new cheap router and my internet is not working when I connect the router into the modem it giving me an issue saying quot default gateway is not available quot but if I use modem to pc w o router quot it works fine here's the details of the problem Quote Issues found The default gateway is not availableThe default No when gateway connected router is not " internet available" Default gateway is not available The default gateway is a device that connects a local network or computer to the Internet A broadband modem or router is usually the default gateway Not fixed Not Fixed Investigate router or broadband modem issues Failed Reset the quot Local Area Connection quot adapter Completed Issues found Detection details The default gateway is not available Not fixed Not Fixed The default gateway is a device that connects a No internet when router is connected " Default gateway not available" local network or computer to No internet when router is connected " Default gateway not available" the Internet A broadband modem or router is usually the default gateway Investigate router or broadband modem issues Failed If you're connected to a hotspot or domain network contact the network administrator Otherwise Unplug or turn off the device After all the lights on the device are off wait at least seconds Turn the device on or plug it back into the power outlet To restart a router or modem that has a built-in battery press and quickly release the Reset button Reset the quot Local Area Connection quot adapter Completed This can sometimes resolve an intermittent problem InformationalNetwork Diagnostics Log File Name F -E - BA-B A- C F D Repair etl Detection details Expand InformationalDiagnostics Information Network Adapter Details about network adapter diagnosis Network adapter Local Area Connection driver information Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Manufacturer Realtek Provider Realtek Version Inf File Name C Windows INF oem inf Inf File Date Tuesday July AM Section Name RTL E ndi Hardware ID pci ven ec amp dev amp rev Instance Status Flags x a Device Manager Status Code IfType Physical Media Type InformationalNetwork Diagnostics Log File Name F -E - BA-B A- C F D Diagnose etl InformationalOther Networking Configuration and Logs File Name NetworkConfiguration cab Collection information Computer Name WORKSTATION Windows Version Architecture amd Time Saturday May AM Publisher details Expand Windows Network Diagnostics Detects problems with network connectivity Package Version Publisher Microsoft Windows Please anyone can help me solve this issue I've tried renewing ipconfig but it doesn't work and check my device manager please help me and excuse my bad english Thanks in advanced

A:No internet when router is connected " Default gateway not available"

Make sure ethernet cable from modem comes into router WAN port.
Router DHCP working?

When pc is connected to router run ipconfig -all from cmd and check ip address.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/370700-no-internet-when-router-connected-default-gateway-not-available.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a feeling what you're going to say but I thought I would just see what everyone has to say.
Here is a picture of my mom's laptop, with a line on the screen.
What do you think?

Should I replace the inverter? Is the screen toast?

A:Gateway M320 line on Screen

It's not the inverter... Was the laptop dropped or sat on?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gateway-m320-line-on-screen.106301/
Relevancy 54.61%

lost the inside line to gateway.
408 273 0808

If I get the new laptop, I want the reinstall discs.

any1 have a # ?

A:no more access to inside line to gateway

Hello Carmine,

No need. The link below from Gateway can help show you how to create your own set of Gateway system recovery discs from the new computer.

Gateway Support - Create System Recovery Discs for the Applications and Drivers External Media in the Gateway Recovery Center

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/263965-no-more-access-inside-line-gateway.html
Relevancy 54.61%

OK this is complicated so bear with me First time poster as well so please be gentle I have Telewest Cable Broadband working with a Linksys wireless G wrt with router and VoIP Wireless connected Gateway HELP! Router g router It works a treat and i VoIP router connected with Wireless Gateway and Router HELP! have the quot improved quot antennae from Linksys to boost the signal a bit as well I recently signed up with Vonage for a VoIP provider and the router they provide is wired the Linksys rt p router and im trying to get this connected to my wireless network with a seperate Gateway or wireless hub Im pretty sure this will work if i put the access point in infrasturcture mode im thinking the linksys WAP G access point and conenct the VoIP router to the Access point with DHCP disabled so its technically a switch and then it can pick up the signal from the router over a wireless network The router seems to support this as it has a VoIP over wireless option in the setup of the latest BIOS flash What i need to know is if anyone here has a setup like this and any problems they have with this type of setup Any help wopuld be much appreciated nbsp

A:VoIP router connected with Wireless Gateway and Router HELP!

I'm thinking the VOIP should go first
then just set up as you would 1st one router 2nd one gateway.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/voip-router-connected-with-wireless-gateway-and-router-help.37716/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi guys,

I am having a problem setting up a network. I am attached to a work network with intranet and from previous experience, I should be able to connect to any of the other computers using a program like VNC viewer. The problem is that while I can ping all the computers on my own modem, I cannot ping a computer using another modem. I can ping the default gateway of this other modem, but whenever I try this computer on that network, the connection times out. At first I thought it was due to the subnet mask, which was different under DHCP, but when I set both computers to the same subnet mask (on static ips). I still was unable to ping the other computer. Please Help.

Thanks
Sam

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-ping-default-gateway-of-another-router-but-not-the-computer-behind-the-router.1082776/
Relevancy 52.03%

HI there greetings from Croatia I need some help here I this possible picture If it is where I have to input LAN cable from Thompson router to Siemens router Here is the problem In my home there is PC laptops mobphones They are all on Thomson LAN or WiFi everything is working fine But Yesterday I manage to repair older PC PC on the picture for daughter and encountered to a strange problem PC is working fine celereon occ GB RAM but WiFi is router line, on possible? one Router adsl + not I have wifi adapters Siemens amp Realink tested them at others machines they works Normally password Router + router on one adsl line, possible? user name whatever Then I passed through The Calvary- installed XP media centre XP black edition Vista extreme Win -same problem LAN is working but WiFi finds router signal try to connect and falls without explanations like connection is out of something or password is incorrect I tried with installing original Siemens and then Realink software installing just drivers didn't help Don't know what to do next Maybe somebody here know Any help will be welcome So I will try to solve this problem by adding one more router so PC can connect to Internet via LAN Is it possible Thanks everybody for reading such a long post

A:Router + router on one adsl line, possible?

Maybe you didn't realize this but both of those router's aren't actually router's, they are both modem/router's which means you can't use them together. The secondary router needs be a regular router not a modem/router.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/290047-router-router-one-adsl-line-possible.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I want to use an old router with my Comcast gateway now that I know the techs can see my password and that I need more speed. The Galaxy phone actually showed me that I was sluggish, only within my home's secure network, as it is snappy when using data or the Xfinity unsecured WI-FI.
Apparently the gateway's router is slowing me down besides displaying the password to Comcast techs in the network dept.
I tried 5 instead if 2.4 but I could not each the rest of the house.

Anyway my question is, if I detail my hookup would someone be willing to help me with the cables so I could bridge and just use my old router not the gateway's.
The Belkin N300 has a firmware update at the Belkin site.

A:router with gateway

All routers are gateway's. Comcast uses eMTA's for their customers. Also the techs have no way of knowing your password you set up. They do have a master password that is embedded in the software as a back door, in case they have to undo something a user changed.

If you want to use the Belkin (not really a good choice for Wifi). You will still need a Cable Modem like the Motorola/Arris 6412. As for having service across the house, you will need extra Access Points for that, or Range extenders which are a little more expensive, that you just plug into an outlet, with the master plugged into the wall outlet, to use the house wiring instead of Ethernet.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/66327-router-gateway.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi Thank you for atleast reading this I m not ever sure what might have happened but I know my brother had a program called Hamachi installed The router reset or something on its own and now the router won t connect to the internet Hamachi got uninstalled by someone else but I reinstalled and used its uninstaller has router gateway no hoping - but no In the off chance that it was the router I bought a new one which I wanted anyway but it didn t help I M USING MY MODEM CURRENTLY When the router is connected to the modem the link light flashes but no connection When I look in the connection details most of the values are blank The router doesn t show up on the computer anywhere and I can t open the settings for it The troubleshooter struggles but says the gateway is invalid When I troubleshoot the adapter it says device or resource is not responding Network discovery was off when I connect the router turned it on - nothing Released reset everything in cmd Left EVERYTHING unplugged while I router has no gateway slept five hours and reconnected NOPE - - Nope Dug into forums and couldn t find anything that helped I don t know jack about computers so I m hoping someone can help I m posting the wireless exe of the router first then this working connection second THANK YOU SO MUCH Provider is insightbb cable connection netgear wndr v panda antivirus Windows IP Configuration Host Name pman -PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address - -FC-D - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe f bd ff Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -AD-FA-CC- - -FC-D - - DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap C EA DD- CDE- AA -BCEA- C BAD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes There is no wireless interface on the system There is no wireless interface on the system Pinging with bytes of data PING transmit failed General failure PING transmit failed General failure PING transmit failed General failure PING transmit failed General failure Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Ping request could not find host plus net Please check the name and try again Tracing route to over a maximum of hops Transmit error code Trace complete These Windows services are started Apple Mobile Device Application Experience Application Information Application Virtualization Client Application Virtualization Service Agent Background Intelligent Transfer Service Base Filtering Engine Bonjour Service Client Virtualization Handler CNG Key Isolation COM Event System Computer Browser Cryptographic Services DCOM Server Process Launcher Desktop Window Manager Session Manager DHCP Client Diagnostic Policy Service Diagnostic Service Host Diagnostic System Host Distributed Link Tracking Client DNS Client Encrypting File System EFS Extensible Authentication Protocol Function Discovery Provider Host Function Discovery Resource Publication GREGService Group Policy Client HomeGroup Listener HomeGroup Provider IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules Intel R Matrix Storage Event Monitor IP Helper IPsec Policy Agent Multimedia Class Scheduler NETGEARGenieDaemon Network Connections Network List Service Network Location Awareness Network Store Interface Service Panda Function Service Panda Host Service Panda IManager Service Panda On-Access Anti-Malware Service Panda Process Protection Service Panda PSK serv... Read more

A:router has no gateway

you have two routers that are not working with the modem

how many devices do you have ?
and how are they connected

Do a powercycle and connect a PC by Ethernet cable to the modem and post an ipconfig /all

make and model of the modem
make and model of the old router

the new router you purchased is a netgear wndr3400v2 - correct

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router

Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes,
Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should also work for windows 8
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-has-no-gateway.1081040/
Relevancy 49.02%

men !!! :giddy: :giddy: im almost running crazy with my gateway router

i cant seam to get my laptop work wireless ... i need hel!!!! :wave:

A:I Need Help With My Gateway Router

Some tips to get you started..

Our crystal balls are not operational all the time. So it just might help if you bothered to put down a wee bit of information about what sort of internet connection, software and devices you have and what exactly did you try to do.

Also, one exclamation mark is plenty. Adding a dozen more will not make people help you more - quite the opposite actually.

Good job with the thread title though

Oh. And did you actually bother to read the router manual?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-help-with-my-gateway-router.31340/
Relevancy 49.02%

Okay. I have a question. I've never heard of anybody doing this before, but would like to know if it's even possible. I have a client who just moved into a new building and got a T-1 line set up. At least for the moment, they only have one of those little Linksys NAT routers. Is it even possible to use the Linksys router in conjunction with the T-1 line??

Usually, a company would buy a T-1 router like Cisco 2600, or similar. I've never heard of anybody doing this before, so I thought I would ask. If it is possible, are they are certain settings in the router that would make this work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Relevancy 49.02%

just curious if I can connect 2 dsl router from separate location to the same verizon dsl line. anybody know????

A:Connecting 2 Dsl Router To The Same Dsl Line

Well, since they are in separate locations, then obviously they can't connect to the same line

If you are asking whether you can use one Verzon account from two locations, then that depends on Verizon, their policies and how their network is built. Both locations have to be DSL-connected for sure (you have to have ordered a Verizon DSL connection to both of them).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connecting-2-dsl-router-to-the-same-dsl-line.47732/
Relevancy 49.02%

Is it possible to run two routers from a single ADSL line ?

Problem is my daughters computer in her bedroom gets a very slow/intermitent connection on wireless from my router because the signal is weak (15" concrete floor between the rooms). I have a spare router and a phone line not far from her room, so if I could connect this router in addition to the one in my study it would solve the problem.

Failing that are there any other suggestions other than running a 10 metre ethernet cable to her room ?

A:More than one router from one ADSL line

Quote: Originally Posted by Odd Job

Is it possible to run two routers from a single ADSL line ?

Problem is my daughters computer in her bedroom gets a very slow/intermitent connection on wireless from my router because the signal is weak (15" concrete floor between the rooms). I have a spare router and a phone line not far from her room, so if I could connect this router in addition to the one in my study it would solve the problem.

Failing that are there any other suggestions other than running a 10 metre ethernet cable to her room ?

Assuming her computer works where yours is, your best bet really is the ethernet cable. Its at least twice as fast as wifi, and not subject to disconnects (especially at 10m). If you must the wifi router can be installed on the phone line but it will decrease the signal/speed from both routers as it raises the impedance.
Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/131017-more-than-one-router-one-adsl-line.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,

I currently have a dedicated T1 line, and it is using the BEFSR11 Linksys Router. This router was made it seems for DSL speeds so does my network bottleneck at the router and not go at its potential T1 speeds?

I'm just wondering because the company wants to switch from dedicated T1 line to a business DSL conection since it doesn't appear we get the speeds we hoped for. I was wondering if it could just be the router slowing the internet speed down.

Thanks,

Relevancy 48.59%

Hello,
I've bought a cisco linksysX-1000. And I can't ping to the gateway. I was previously using an aztech modem but I had to flush the power on it a lot so I bought the linksys. Now, I've configured the linksys but can't ping to the gateway, whereas the aztech has no trouble. Please help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-router-cant-ping-to-gateway.204450/
Relevancy 48.59%

i have downloaded something and it has put some sort of virus on my computer, it has added an extra gateway on my router and it is coming from china (gateway - 150.101.32.85). This virus has slowed my internet download really bad and i do not know how to get this off my router.
I am using windows 7, i have a netgear smart wizard router manager and there is picture of the extra gateway on my router attached
Please help

btw i have tried resetting the router but the gateway was changed back when i turned my computer on

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extra-gateway-on-my-router.1141605/
Relevancy 48.59%

All PCs mentioned are wired and used Can't router/gateway to connect a Can't connect to router/gateway static IP and were adjusted with the gateway I finished installing my router All was working well I had everything Can't connect to router/gateway configured All of the sudden on ONE of my PCs could no longer access the web interface but still had Internet access Can't connect to router/gateway There was no explanation apart from the quot webpage is unavailable quot message So I thought I'd try all my browsers all of them could not I grabbed my laptop wired no issues Decided that I should probably tackle redoing the router from factory Now here's where it got interesting the second I changed the gateway from to the issue reappeared instantly same machine as the initial issue Any other device could easily do the rest of the configuration and had no connection issues I'm out of ideas at this point disabled anti-virus reconfirmed that it is a trusted network double-checked my static IPs etc with no luck If anyone has any insight on what I can do to restore access to my web interface on the troubled workstation that'd be great

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/387686-cant-connect-router-gateway.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Modems/Routers/Gateways...Oh my !

I'm sorry,guys...I don't really know where to go with this question.That's why I'm posting it here.A couple of times over the past week (Or,so) it seems that my router has gone down.The first time,it was down for (I'm not sure how many) hours.It went down again yesterday for (Again,I'm not sure how many) hours.

Well,this second time,I called ATT and according to them,I need a new router.So,I've been looking on ebay (not much to choose from). My question is,do I need a "modem" or a "router" or,a Gateway ??? I know both enable internet access.But,really,what's the difference ?

I have ATT DSL and,2 laptops in the household that we prefer to run wirelessly.Any advice would be immensely appreciated !

A:Do I need a modem,router or gateway ?

If you have typical "high speed Internet" via cable as supplied by someone like ATT, Cox, Comcast, you need a modem at a minimum. A "cable modem".

A router is an additional device that provides some degree of added security. They are sold as separate standalone devices and also as combination "modem/router" devices.

Gateway has different meanings, but I'd be suspicious of anything ATT was trying to sell me--they'll normally try to sell you more than you need.

I've used a cable modem without a router with no issues for 15 years. Purists will scoff at that, telling me about disasters awaiting me because I don't have a router.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/373246-do-i-need-modem-router-gateway.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi
I can't call up my Gateway wireless router, I need to set the WEP password. I have tried both address 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.1 that called for in the book that came with the router. All it says is that it can not be found. Any help will be great.
Thanks
Lynn

A:Router Gateway wireless b

If you have a firefox browser.Open file -then open location.type it in there and enter.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-gateway-wireless-b.657974/
Relevancy 48.59%

I am trying to fix an XP computer that has a very strange problem. It can release and renew its tcp/ip address so it is obviously talking to my router (wired connection). It can ping itself but it cannot ping the router that it got its address from. Self address in this case is 192.168.1.152, router/gateway is 192.168.1.254. The exact same problem happens at another location where it gets its address from a cable modem.

I have shut off the Windows Firewall, uninstalled all antivirus/internet security suites, etc. I have deleted and replaced the winsock and winsock2 registry keys with known good copies. I have attempted to reinstall the tcp/ip stack from the inf folder. I have done a repair reinstall of XP (which is always a pain in the behind because you have to reactivated by phone). Nothing is working.

Help?

Loaner

A:Can't ping router/gateway

Hmm...

Do you have other computers connected to the router that can ping it? Also, have you tried power cycling (unplug the power...wait a few seconds...plug it back in) the router?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-ping-router-gateway.108453/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have just installed a new wireless router (D-Link DIR 655) in my home, replacing a Linksys unit. I have a desktop and a laptop that run Windows Vista, and a 5 year old Apple PowerBook G4. My printer is a wireless Brother MFC-255. Since installing the new router, the two computers that run Vista, show the printer status "off line", and will not print. I have uninstalled, then reinstalled the printer software, but the status still shows off line. My Apple laptop will still print however. I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world, so any help would be appreciated, before I have a computer bonfire in my back yard.

A:Printer off line after installing new router

Originally Posted by BBJPLT

I have just installed a new wireless router (D-Link DIR 655) in my home, replacing a Linksys unit. I have a desktop and a laptop that run Windows Vista, and a 5 year old Apple PowerBook G4. My printer is a wireless Brother MFC-255. Since installing the new router, the two computers that run Vista, show the printer status "off line", and will not print. I have uninstalled, then reinstalled the printer software, but the status still shows off line. My Apple laptop will still print however. I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world, so any help would be appreciated, before I have a computer bonfire in my back yard.

have you connected the printer to the wireless network(search for SSID and enter wep key)? might help if access is the issue

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/291568-printer-off-line-after-installing-new-router.html
Relevancy 48.59%

2 DSL modems, 1 router, on 1 phone line... Is it possible and can i get a step by step instruction on how to do it? Thank you!

Relevancy 48.59%

I ve been using Comcast cable internet just plugged into my Motorola modem just fine but now I have X-box live and I ve had a router that I havn t used for a while so i dug it out so I could have my comp and my x-box hooked up at once Problem is I can t get online when i go through the router with my computer X-box live connects and works great with no probs Tried all the wire switching and just having only computer hooked through router and doing resets and clicking to repair connection but nothing works so far The rapair goes all the way through and shows it to be a success I have windows firewall off and run McAfee virus I m using ethernet cables and my router won't(router) connects on-line;comp 360 X-box is a Linksys X-box 360 connects on-line;comp won't(router) befw s broadband router it used to work for me on this computer months ago I m not that good with networking so I m sure its just something i need to set up on my comp or on the router but I m at a loss so I d love the help THANKS nbsp

A:X-box 360 connects on-line;comp won't(router)

Here is my ipconfig /all. but this is while my internet is working and Hooked straight into the modem and not through the router.
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jesse11

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.mo.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-0B-ED-A1-9C

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.mo.comcast.net.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-63-C0-07-1A

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.242.142.219

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 69.242.128.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.72.13

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.72.130

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:46:24 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, May 30, 2007 1:46:19 AM

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/x-box-360-connects-on-line-comp-wont-router.576880/
Relevancy 48.16%

I'm have a Qwest DSL modem with wireless gateway and use a router to access my employer network. Is it possible to have wireless capability AND access to my employer's network...while using the router? If so, how do I configure it? Please help!

Relevancy 48.16%

Hey all, I'm wondering if it is possible to use the remote router of a VPN as your local gateway so if you are browsing the IP address shown is of the remote router and not your local router.

Thanks.

Relevancy 48.16%

Hello!

So, my old router had an unrelated issue and had to be replaced with a new one, model H368N (I got sent two, actually). Now however, I have the issue of it restarting all the time at a seemingly random interval. Anything from once every three minutes to once every hour. I had my ISP send a technician over, he did some testing with some device, and he claimed the cables were faulty. So, here's the thing. This only happens when my main computer, running Windows 7, is running. If it's turned off, or if I'm using Linux from it, everything appears to be working fine, or at least the router restarts a LOT less, if at all. I might've seen it restart once, but I'm not sure.

Needless to say, I'm a bit torn as to what to think with regards to what the real problem is.

Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 48.16%

I have somthing to ask about the ADSL modem and wifi router I am using Windows Xp I have ADSL modem TP LINK TD with port LAN and USB on the modem has blinking lights USB LAN ADSL Internet and Power I router's Problem wifi with gateway use USB port for my laptop so that lights were turned on except the LAN s I also have a wifi router TENDA w r which is connect to the modem Problem with wifi router's gateway by LAN port Problem with wifi router's gateway when it s connected the LAN s light in the moden will turn on That s what it usually works But now when I connect the router to the moden the LAN s ligh on the modem just flashing then turn off right away it works fine on different machine I don t know why I think it s software problem What do you guy s think about that About the gateway the modem has gateway the router has gateway too At first when I connect the router I can only access to the router s gateway when I disconnect the router I m back to the moden s router how to fix that I want to sefl control which gateway I can connect And now I just can t connect to any of the gateway the router s gateway since the LAN s light on the moden not turned on I think that s where it begins But the modem s gateway I can connect to the internet as usually but I can t access to the modem s gateway whenever I type quot quot modem s default gateway a window appears Authentication Required then I fill the username and password with the right infomation then click ok but it still appears after and after and after that when I click cancel then browser says quot Protected Object quot and I can t connect to modem s gateway nbsp

A:Problem with wifi router's gateway

Can anyone help me, please ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-wifi-routers-gateway.1058736/
Relevancy 48.16%

I am connecting via Time Warner-Roadrunner with a Netgear CGD G cable modem gateway I am always having trouble with DNS DNS is not able to resolve Modem Router + Cable Gateway IP addresses DNS Server isn't responding Pages are not Cable Modem Gateway + Router usually opening and most of the Cable Modem Gateway + Router time when I click refresh nothing is happening Refresh button appears in of a second I don't know how to resolve the problem I can try connecting via USB but I haven't found the Cable Modem Gateway + Router driver for it yet Thanks to NetGear there is no driver on internet or in the resource CD The other solution I am thinking is using the D-Link DIR- router I am thinking to add it to the CGD G gateway because DIR- doesn't have a coaxial cable input They obth have as default address How should I change the modem and router gateway addresses Should I change the CGD G to which I already did actually When I do that do I need to change the IP addresses from - to another range or leave it the same Do I need to change the IP addresses or the subnet mask on DIR- if I add it Is there any solution for DNS and Key Ports problem with CGD G on a Windows Ultimate x OS Does anyone have a USB Driver for CGD G I hope I could make myself clear English is not my mother tongue and my expression of my thoughts can confuse native speakers time to time Thanks

A:Cable Modem Gateway + Router

One of the problems you have is that router will severely limit your internet speed. I had one with the comcast connection and it dropped me from 21MBs to 6 MBs. Once I trashed that and went with comcast's modem I was back up to full speed. Seeing how you pay roadrunner, I had them when I was in TX., I would call them and tell them that you want to switch to AT&T. Not that you really are intending to but let them know this. Then tell them the problems you are having and that is the only reason you are thinking of canceling with them and switching to AT&T. Watch how fast they quickly offer to resolve your problem by sending a Tech out for free and fixing the problem for you. They key word here is you have to tell them that you are thinking of canceling with them and switching to AT&T. That should fix your problem with no headaches on your part! Post back to what they reply with you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/175346-cable-modem-gateway-router.html
Relevancy 48.16%

OK so i have an office and from the little networking knowledge that i have I know that the way it is set up is all shades of screwy but here is my problem of the moment I have a wireless router that needs to have a WEP key i know to do so i have to be able to enter my router... my to IP gateway find is not default trying which for the router via its IP address Only problem is i trying to find IP for my router... which is not my default gateway have no idea what its ip address is My wireless router is hardwired trying to find IP for my router... which is not my default gateway to another wireless router on the other side of my office possibly with another hub trying to find IP for my router... which is not my default gateway inbetween anyway i want to know how i can find out what the ip address is of this router or someway that i can access this router to add the wep key When i do an IP config it shows me the default gateway this is actually my modem Just a reminder the network is working i just don t know how to get into my router to make changes thanks alot for any help nbsp

A:trying to find IP for my router... which is not my default gateway

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-find-ip-for-my-router-which-is-not-my-default-gateway.673269/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hey guys, I recently moved to a new home and I'm trying to set up my router to the new internet connection and get the wifi going but for the life of me I cant get it set up. The internet connection itself is fine, from modem to pc.
Once I have the modem in the mix,it gets no/limited connectivity and cannot reach the setups. I have tried the classic 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.1.1 and about 5 other variations, along with 'http://router'. My router is a Belkin N300 Wireless N Router.
If I use a command prompt and do 'ipconfig', there is no ip address beside 'gateway default' once the router is connected. I have reset my router to factory settings. I've tried using a static ip address for my computer [though not sure if i did it correctly]. My DHCP is enabled.
I've been at it for several hours and I'm sorta at my wit's end. Please help!

A:No gateway default on router, cant setup

For Belkin, How about trying: http://192.168.2.1
and do not set any static IP.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/52952-no-gateway-default-router-cant-setup.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I can't find my 2WIRE router on my computer. Its supposed to be in the "Network Infrastructure" section apparently, but that section doesn't even show up.

A:Gateway computer can't detect router

2Wire the dreaded word here! Been there done that one. Are you running hard wired or the newer WiFi?

With the hard wire RJ33 phone line type you would look under Network adapters in the device manager for the PC Port item. That's with the old dsl type set up. The Home Portal hub would connect through the nic card for the host pc.

Bad news for Home Portal is the old software will not install even on the 32bit Vista let alone get anywhere on 7. The PC Port drivers will only work on the 32bit Windows being the outdated 98, 2000, XP only never having seen any Vista drivers written.

A fast change of ISP came here last year when not able to get online with the 64bit beta! Bye Bye 2Wire! The HP software simply would not install even on the 32bit making that obsolete just for the host which still runs XP! No thanks! This is what you are looking at with a look at what you are running there the 64bit Home Premium?!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/129612-gateway-computer-cant-detect-router.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Linksys router WRT54GX2 is configured with an IP address of 10.0.0.253 and has a static internet IP of 10.0.0.254 which is the ISP. However, all clients on DHCP get a gateway address of 10.0.0.253 which doesnt allow the client PC to reach the internet. The Gateway has to be 10.0.0.254. I attempted to make the change in advanced routing with a static router. 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.254
It wouldnt take this change. I then went to the wireless device and attempted to make a static router using:
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.254 metric 1
This worked, but the laptop travels and the gateway will probably change. The fix needs to be on the router, any ideas? Can the router pass trafic from its ip (10.0.0.253) to the ISP device (10.0.0.254)?

William

Relevancy 48.16%

I have a combination DSL Router/Gateway with built in wireless running on one side of my apartment.

The other side of the apartment is not so hot for using a wireless device b/c the apartment is sort of horse shoe shaped and a lot of concrete and wood interfere with the signal from one side to the other.

There is a phone jack on the other side of the apartment and a friend offered a DSL Router and Gateway that he has laying around if i want to use them.

So: Can I use these to create a 2nd access point in my home?

FWIW: I use Verizon's DSL service and the Westell Router Gateway combo they provided.

The new(er) hardware is made by Linksys.

Thanks!

A:Setting up a 2nd Router/Gateway Combo

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-a-2nd-router-gateway-combo.400818/
Relevancy 48.16%

Ok,

I have a home network set up as foillows:

Westell 327 Versalink DSL Modem/Router bringing in my DSL internet. That is connected to a linksys 10/100 24 port switch.
I have 5 desktops connected to the switch via ethernet.

I also have an ethernet cable run from the switch to my X-box 360.

I have a linksys WRT54-G wireless router, that I want to use to split the ethernet cable that runs to my xbox out to the ports on my linksys router.

Question is: What is the proper set up on network equipment to run all this effectively?
What is the configuration settings on the linksys router?
Thanks

A:Need help configuring Linksys router/gateway

Depends on what you want. If you want a 2nd NAT layer to protect the devices connected to the second router then cascade them (LAN port of 1st router to WAN of 2nd). If you want everything to be on one LAN the following is good and proven.

JohnWill's procedure for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-configuring-linksys-router-gateway.666324/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello,

I recently updated the firmware on my Medialink Router (Model MWN-WAPR150Nv2). Once the update was complete, instructions stated to reset the router to factory settings and set-up the router using its IP address 192.168.8.1; however, I've not been able to get past this point.

My computer is unable to connect to the router. ipconfig shows nothing for its default gateway and I am unable to see the wireless router remotely to set up without a hard LAN connections.

So far I have tried the following:

Resetting the router: I am not sure this is working because after holding down the reset button for 2+ minutes has not indicated any changes (e.g. blinking lights, reboot, etc.).
Cleared proxies.
Deleted Internet Cache

Is there any way to renew the IP address on the router so that I may access it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

A:Medialink Router with no Default Gateway

Pretty sure that reset to factory defaults is your only chance. If that's not working the router is bricked. Try leaving it unplugged for a couple hours and then try the reset to factory defaults again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/medialink-router-with-no-default-gateway.1111374/
Relevancy 48.16%

hi ya everyone! I just dug out my Netgear Gateway Router RT311. We used it when we lived in town with the DSL service. But now we are in the country and do good to get 21600 speed. We have 3 computers in different rooms, and use Wal-Mart's WM Connect for dial up internet. There are times, that two of us would like to be on the net at the same time. I was looking at the back of the Router and it has the large plug for Cat5 wire for the internet, but can it also be used for dial-up? I can't find any of my paperwork for the thing since we moved and I didn't find anything helpful on Netgear's pages.

A:Netgear RT311 gateway router

Can't be done. It is only for Cable/DSL using ethernet. You could set up one PC with ICS and share the dial up connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/netgear-rt311-gateway-router.113871/
Relevancy 48.16%

Site-1
Using a Cisco RVS4000 to place between the cable modem and dvr to create a vpn tunnel to Site-2.

Cable modem/gateway (DHCP)
192.168.0.1 (LAN)
dhcp
192.168.0.10 to 50

DVR (Win XP)
192.168.0.51 (static)

What should the LAN/WAN settings be to allow the dvr to route via the rvs4000 onto the cable modem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-wan-lan-settings-behind-modem-gateway.1055478/
Relevancy 48.16%

I want to put a wireless router off one of my wired ports from my wired router; how do i put the wireless router in gateway mode to do this? thanks joe

A:Solved: how to use gateway mode on router

Depends on the router, a brand and model would be helpful.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-use-gateway-mode-on-router.409065/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi 1 router? how and I cable) pc mac share can line interenet a using without (cox to there I have two computers an imac and a pc which i am using my pc as a server When I used router to connect both computers to the how can I share 1 interenet line (cox cable) to a pc and mac without using router? same interent my friends couldn t log into my server even though I disabled the routers firewall misteriously it would comeback and still my friends how can I share 1 interenet line (cox cable) to a pc and mac without using router? could not connect to the server When I knocked out the router and connected my pc the server to the modem then everything seemed to be ok the problem is now I can t go online using my imac The error message is something about invalid IP configuration Apprantly there is only one ip address available when using modem directly I don t know how to solve it Can I use splitter before modem in that case I guess I will need two modems is that true and I am not sure if cable company will register two modems I am very new in this and am trying to learn so many things I would really appreciate if you could kindly how can I share 1 interenet line (cox cable) to a pc and mac without using router? help me Thanks nbsp

A:how can I share 1 interenet line (cox cable) to a pc and mac without using router?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-share-1-interenet-line-cox-cable-to-a-pc-and-mac-without-using-router.1094271/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a leased line (64kbps) with a modem from ISP. I want to share that internet connection with 5-6 other computers. So connecting that modem with a router and connecting router to a switch will do that.
But i want to skip that hardware router(Cisco 805) coz it's so expensive. I'm planing to go with a software router which is much less and have much more features.

Vicomsoft INTERGATE

or

Kerio WinRoute Firewall

So i have one problem that leased line modem has a serial connection to the router from a cable as i know. (plz correct me if i'm wrong)
So how can i connect that leased line modem directly to my PC without a Router? Then i can run those router software inside my PC and share the connection. Is there any cables/card to do this? They can be easily found?

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 48.16%

ok i changed my ISP and upgraded my speed to 1024kbps/256kbps for home, i managed to connect my phone line to my new router but i have a question, can i replace the wire that connects the line splitter with the router, which was already packaged with the router, with another one that is 5m long? will that affect my speed? thx

A:[Question] connecting phone line to my router..!!

If you mean replacing the Phone wire that goes between the DSL FIlter and the Computer, then yes you can. There should be no signal loss provided the phone cord is in good shape.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-connecting-phone-line-to-my-router.724339/
Relevancy 48.16%

I am not a techy but any help would be appreciated. My ISP is using a AR-538iu Comtrend Router to provide me with an internet connection. Unfortunately the connection drops frequently. Could this in any way be related to the fact that I am using windows 8?

A:Line keeps dropping from Comtrend AR-538iu Router

Welcome to EightForums Angeee

I never encounter a drop of connection on my WiFi since the last time I install the W8 OS, but I just do not know to other Users if they experience the same. Meaning to say it won't affect the connection at all.

Have you try to contact the Service Provider? For in some reason they might get problem as well. Just to ask them to clear out the issue connection, we don't know that they are in the upgrade of their system or phenomenal disruption.

Let us know once you got their side.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/7384-line-keeps-dropping-comtrend-ar-538iu-router.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Tech support says model WPN can t supply stats like line SNR margin attenuation CRCs etc Can this be true I wasn t aware of any newer routers that can t give such info from Stats WPN824 Ntgr Getting router? Line Maybe prob is that info usu comes from the modem I m using Wire HG-B in bridge mode w the Netgear behind it Had to get a separate router because never could get PAP -T voip ATA to work correctly w the Wire router after wks talking to every tech I could find - even Lev II If those type stats only come from a modem not router I d have to put Wire back in full mode amp reset ALLLLL PW s again With Wire Getting Line Stats from Ntgr WPN824 router? in bridge mode its mgmt console can t be accessed so it says What is typical acceptable or expected overhead loss diff of what AT amp T tech measured at my DSL wall jack vs after you ve gone through a Getting Line Stats from Ntgr WPN824 router? modem and or router I ve got AT amp T dry loop DSL Kbps At the wall jack the tech measured Kbps d l amp SNR dB Best I usu get is d l even for very close test servers Is the loss really that much thru modem amp router or just from the round trip even to nearby servers He couldn t access my router to test spd thru it now realize probably just needed to turn off router FW Netgear said my network adapter should be able to provide such info I highly doubt that nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/getting-line-stats-from-ntgr-wpn824-router.114915/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a 2 year old Gateway laptop which, I understand, was actually made by Acer under license.

All of a sudden a vertical line appears midway in the screen display. Sometimes it is a red line, sometimes a white line.

Does anyone have any idea why this occurs? Is this a sign of the "kiss of death" for my laptop display, to follow? Does this mean the "end is near" for the screen?
44 Guy

A:Gateway Laptop Screen-new vertical line half screen

Same problem in Safe Mode?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/299084/gateway-laptop-screen-new-vertical-line-half-screen/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I have a BT Voyager 2110 router connected to phone line in my living room, it works like a charm. All of our phone line points have DSL filters attached and everything works fine. However, I have tried moving the router to a more central point in my home (what I believe to be the main phone line in the kitchen) and the wireless just will not work!!! I just cannot understand it! Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

A:Problem using wireless router at another phone line point!

You do realize that you must install filters on everything BUT the DSL modem connection, right?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-using-wireless-router-at-another-phone-line-point.790920/
Relevancy 47.73%

Greetings Just replaced a power supply unit in my desktop and now I cannot access the internet I am ethernet connected to a port linksys router laptops I use can use the router ports and cables ok I have automatically use DNS and obtain IP address as yes Here is the output of IPCONFIG all When I try ipconfig release amp renew it times out looking for the DHCP server I can only ping my own IP address not the default gateway or router or Solved: ping gateway Can't default any of the dns servers Any Solved: Can't ping router or default gateway suggestions Windows IP Solved: Can't ping router or default gateway Configuration Host Name central Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List hsd pa comcast net Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd pa comcast net Description Intel R PRO VE NetworkConnection Physical Address - - -A - -AD Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Solved: Can't ping router or default gateway IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained PM Lease Expires PM nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

I router's Solved: not Can gateway wifi connect have a modem and a wifi router i connect to internet by usb port from modem and the ethernet port i connect to the wifi router Modem address is Router addrss is I can login to the modem s gateway but can not login to router s the page keeps connecting Here is my Run cmd ipconfig all I did try to Solved: Can not connect wifi router's gateway change to default gateway of the local connection which i am using but it s not working C Users Administrator gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name ACER Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TRENDCHIP USB ADSL Modem Physical Address - - -C -D - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c a c c b c ef Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Thursday September AM Lease Expires Sunday September AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - A-CC- - - D- -C - F- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R Wireless WiFi Link AGN Physical Address - - C- -A - DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom NetLink TM Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - D- -C - F- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Hope you guys can help me fix it thank you nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello,

Currently I have a setup as follows:

Modem -> VoIP Gateway -> Router and Phone

I play online games and the gateway severely diminishes the amount of games I can join. So to have the connection bypass the gateway can I set it up like this:

Modem -> Router -> VoIP Gateway -> Phone

Router: Linksys WRT54GS
VoIP Gateway: DVG-1120M

Thank you,

Matt.

Relevancy 47.73%

got this modem from covad and i was playing around with the web interface and i set the subnet mask to and now i cant access the web interface again it says ip must be contiguous ex x x x x gateway this is the router/finding Resetting ip gateway ? dsl default ip of the modem but i cant use this Resetting dsl router/finding default gateway ip ? ip because of the subnet mask i Resetting dsl router/finding default gateway ip ? tried resetting the modem but i don t think it worked i m not sure the wifi turns on and the ssid for the wifi is still the same this is my modem www netopia com support hardware wt html i tried to set it to obtain the ip automatically But it wont work It doesnt work with the current modem i m using right now also i m connected via usb cable But i want to get this dsl router to work so i could use the wifi on it Can it be a nic prob i was able to connect to the router before i f ed it up through the nic It just cant obtain a ip automatically i tried contacting netopia but they want to charge for tech support running on windows xp media edition btw asus g laptop nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

I was told that I do not need a software firewall if my computer sits behind a router. Is this true?

Karl

A:Software Firewall If Have A Linksys Router/gateway?

The differences between a software and hardware firewall are vast, and the best protection for your computer and network is to use both, as each offers different but much-needed security features and benefits.http://www.webopedia.com/didyouknow/hardwa...ewall_types.aspChoosing a Firewall: Hardware v. Software: http://technology.inc.com/security/article...refirewall.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/142695/software-firewall-if-have-a-linksys-routergateway/
Relevancy 47.73%

I just switched ISPs and now have a Pace HGV gateway TV amp internet which I ve connected to a Cisco Linksys E wireless router router to gateway Connect wireless 3801HGV I have the cable plugged into one of the gateway s ports and the other Connect wireless router to 3801HGV gateway end into the WAN internet port of the wireless router I find that I lose the internet access periodically and need to quot Connect wireless router to 3801HGV gateway reboot quot my E to restore internet access Why is this occurring and how can I rectify this I did not have this problem when I had my cable Connect wireless router to 3801HGV gateway modem plugged into the E I want to keep my network setup from the E to my wired and wireless computers so don t want to use the wireless built into the gateway I m relatively new to this so please let me know what settings to make on the gateway etc I m able to access the configuration menu on the gateway but not sure what to change Thanks very much for any help -G nbsp

A:Connect wireless router to 3801HGV gateway

Linksys E2000 wireless routerClick to expand...

That's a dual-mode capable device (5ghz/2.4ghz)
and the comments are

# Pros:
Very fast setup. Great 5 GHz throughput. Decent 2.4-GHz throughput. Simple setup great for newbies.
#Cons
Some performance degradation with use. Throughput drops off quickly with distance
## Bottom Line
This router's best assets are its ease of setup and throughput at the 5 GHz band. It's best for those wanting to cover smaller spaces, however, as its long-distance performance isn't stellar.

Pace 3801HGVClick to expand...

that's a B/G mode device with user controlled RF Power settings

HyperG Wireless Functionality
802.11g wireless access point, backwards compatible with 802.11b
10 power settings available through gateway user interface,
up to 400mW, for both 802.11b and 802.11g, configurable via CMS
WEP64, 128, WPA, 802.1x
Multi-SSID
With two WiFi devices, they will interfer with each other on the G-Mode which is
common between your devices and the most likely the mode your systems are using.

Here are your choices

Move all your systems to the N-Mode 5gz, but only if they all can support N-Mode.
Disable the Pace 3801HGV WiFi portion and you should be able to leave all the systems as-as

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connect-wireless-router-to-3801hgv-gateway.177975/
Relevancy 47.73%

My internet keeps dropping out and when troubleshoot says 'default gateway not available' and fixes it it drops out anywhere from every minute to a few hours adapter and new gateway have new wifi not Default - available router must disable wifi adapter and then enable and all is fine I was told to set a static ip which i Default gateway not available - have new router and new wifi adapter did and had no effect I thought this may be a router problem as it was very old but I have just bought a new router d-link dsl n which seemed to work fine but then the ssid keeps disappearing and the internet connection is gone Different issue but same result I then thought it may be the laptop wifi card but i got a new usb wifi adapter Default gateway not available - have new router and new wifi adapter netgear wg v and disabled internal laptop wifi card which again appeared to work for a few days without any problem but now it is back However when i now use my laptop wifi card the ssid from the new router keeps disappearing and i lose connection I have an old phone in my room where the laptop is which i use as a remote for my computer media and it also has the ssid disappearing from the new router and I must disable and reanable the wifi and it comes back fine All other wifi devices do not have a problem including another laptop in another room I am now thinking this may be some sort of interference or the like Any help would be appreciated I am not overly computer savvy so simple terms would be appreciated Thank you in advance Info below SYSTEM INFO Modem Name DSL- N Serial Number c a d d Time and Date - - Hardware Version T Firmware Version AU b System Up Time INTERNET INFO Internet Connection Status IP Protocol Internet Connection Status Connected Wan service type Internet IP Address Sub Mask Default Gateway DNS Server Enabled WAN Connections VPI VCI Service Name Protocol IGMP PPPoE PPPOE Disable WIRELESS INFO select wireless MAC Address C A D D Status Enable Network Name SSID ANDREW - HOME Visibility Visible Security Mode WPA -PSK LOCAL NETWORK INFO MAC Address c a d d IP Address Subnet Mask DHCP Server Enable

A:Default gateway not available - have new router and new wifi adapter

Welcome to Seven Forums Andrew!

What's your signed up speed? Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
Have you tried moving your laptop closer to the router? Any other wireless device(s) from your home experiencing with a similar issue?

Please post a snip capture of Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector by following the guide here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/346535-default-gateway-not-available-have-new-router-new-wifi-adapter.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,

I thought, I had got this, but,, potentially, i haven't. I used to be able to do this, when I had a different router/modem

I have a router/modem that I can access in my network, using 192.168.0.1.

It is the "gateway", in this network, to the "internet".

Now, if I go on google, or anywhere else, to find my ip, and, it says, say 95.91.225.xxx, should i not be able to access the router/modem externally, through this ip?

If i do this, say, in IE 9, it can't connect, saying

This page can't be displayed

•Make sure the web address http://95.91.225.xxx is correct.
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes.Click to expand...

Can anyone explain/help?

Cheers

A:Access gateway (router/modem) from external net

You need to make sure that the modem/router supports remote access to the administration pages and that it is enabled. Allowing this is a security risk since a remote attacker could take control of it. You definitely need to use a very secure password when enabling this function

If you are testing remote access while connected on the LAN side of the modem/router, you need to make sure it supports loopback access through its own public IP address. Some routers do not support it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-gateway-router-modem-from-external-net.1108026/
Relevancy 47.73%

So basically im trying to open ports for minecraft haha because me and my friend are gonna play but i cant access routerlogin.net, it only loads then it says like there was an error and when i try to type in my ip address it doesnt work either.
And the default gateway bar is empty in ipconfig, like there is no IP there.
help pls

A:I dont have a default gateway, and can't access my router

Open a Elevated Command Prompt:

Press WIN + X to open Start context menu.
Select Command Prompt (Admin)​.

Paste the following into the Command Prompt window, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" | find /i "proxy" >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close. Post results in a reply here.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/69168-i-dont-have-default-gateway-cant-access-my-router.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a belkin wireless router and I was screwing around trying to set up a static ip and accidentally changed the router's default gateway to an incorrect setting which also happens to be the address of another router on my network. I changed the settings in the router's config and since it is invalid, even if I match my comps settings to it, it is useless. Now the router is essentially dead which i completely understand but just wanted to know if there is anyway to get back into its settings to change it back to the default....I think i might have trashed it.

default was 192.168.2.1 just like any belkin. i entered this in the browser and under the connection type where i was trying to set up the static ip, i manually entered an invalid default gateway and might have even disabled dhcp.

should i just get another 20 dollar router?

A:Entered wrong default gateway for router

Reset it to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. Then you can access it using the standard procedure from the manual and reconfigure it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/entered-wrong-default-gateway-for-router.821500/
Relevancy 47.73%

I m trying to setup a VPN at my office My ISP provided a DSL Gateway configured with my static IP address I can ping this device from home so I know that much is working My VPN router is plugged into this Gateway Consequently my VPN router port VPN to pass thru router gateway forwarding to has an IP address that makes it part of my internal network Initially I thought I would set my router to use my static IP address but that will not work since I port forwarding to pass VPN thru gateway to router cannot take the Gateway out of the picture I think I need to use Port Forwarding to get the Gateway to pass the VPN requests to the Router Is this correct I need to know if I m going in the right direction because I believe I will have to upgrade the firmware on the gateway in order to configure port forwarding in it I want to know if I m on the right track Here are the full descriptions of the pieces I m working with Actiontec GT -WG Wireless-Ready DSL Gateway provided by ISP Linksys WRV Wireless-G VPN Router my VPN router And this is how my network is chained together ISP - gt DSL Gateway - gt VPN Router - gt Switch - gt Desktops amp Server nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/port-forwarding-to-pass-vpn-thru-gateway-to-router.726712/
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a belkin router model (F6D4230-4) and while I was in it trying to change the security settings I got off and my younger brother saved the files however I had changed the gateway from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.1.2. However while doing this i can no longer connect my modem to my router and have internet wireless or wired. I'm just wondering if there is any way of helping this or if I buy a new router it will help. I of course would rather not buy a new router if I don't have to, but if its the only thing that will help i will. Thanks for the help guys

A:accidently changed the default gateway on my router

You can access the router setup at 192.168.1.2 and change it back, or just set the router to defaults and set it up again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accidently-changed-the-default-gateway-on-my-router.1002792/
Relevancy 47.73%

Dear all

I had been working for company its has 4-5 switches -1 router wndr4500netgear and almost 101 pcs working with all are in lan..

We had taken leased line internet connection 15mbps and usage not exceeds more than 11mpbs for lan and average usage is 6 mbps

From Last Three week I am facing internet slow down in network when i had tested ..
pinging to router gateway.192.168.1.1 -t is working perfect with 0% packet loss
pinging to router static ip 182.xx.xx.x is working perfectly same 0%loss

when ping to gateway of static ip frequently getting packet loss what should i Need to work on...

I had connected directly to a ISP device with single laptop its Working perfect and for all gateways its fine ....

Please can you friends assist me so that i can sort-out this issue I will grateful thanks to all ..

Thanks in advance ..

Relevancy 47.3%

A small irritating issue I occasional / line Router very subscriber slow browsing. issue, seem to Router / subscriber line issue, occasional very slow browsing. be unable to find an explanation and possible solution Background The Router / subscriber line issue, occasional very slow browsing. issue occurs at seemingly random intervals When it occurs it is the same using any of the household computers and or browsers Windows amp using IE amp and Maxthon Macs with Mountain Lion and Safari OpenSUSE Linux with Firefox both with wired and wireless connection clearly indicating that the issue has something to do either with Router / subscriber line issue, occasional very slow browsing. the broadband subscription line or the router rather than an individual browser or computer This is the reason I am posting here and not at Browsers amp Mail section Problem description Occasionally all web pages open very slowly It can take up to even seconds for the page to be found and then again about seconds for the page to open Sometimes this can last a day or two sometimes just an hour Now since last night everything OK web and browsers fast Yesterday when the issue was extremely bad this website took seconds to fully load now it takes seconds VDSL line half dedicated to IPTV computers thus sharing a line Router is Belkin AC DB Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC Gigabit Notice that when the issue occurs and the opening of various pages takes ages all speedtests are still showing PINGs under ms DL over Mbps and UL close to Mbps Ironically for instance the Speedtest net site can take over seconds first to fully load but then gives totally normal values Additional information Rebooting resetting the router and or computers does not help When the site is first very slowly found and opened everything works well but again clicking a link to open a subpage the same happens to find the page and open it takes ages The issue occurs both when obtaining DNS automatically or using for instance Google's and IPv and respective IPv servers As occasionally as this sometimes occurs it also disappears suddenly and browsing will become fast normal again Any ideas welcome Kari

A:Router / subscriber line issue, occasional very slow browsing.

Make sure there isn't a sneaky guy stealing your wireless to torrent japanese tentacle porn or whatever. This article gives various possible ways to check.

Don't feel safe just because you don't see anyone around your home, good directional wireless equipment (or even decently-assembled makeshift one) can easily connect from a km or more from the access point/router/extender/whatever.

Other than that, for me similar stuff is relatively common as I live in a crappy place and my ISP serves a lot of people in my area (being the only one offering DSL), and sometimes there is simply too much traffic for them to handle. Or so they told me when I called them to know why.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/301250-router-subscriber-line-issue-occasional-very-slow-browsing.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I can ping the IP address in cmd.exe but when i enter the same IP in the url bar it times out.

I would really like some help with this soon, I want to create a static IP for my minecraft server but i can not access the Belkin54g router settings...

A:I can ping the router defualt gateway but no access to the settings

Quote: Originally Posted by frenchie

I can ping the IP address in cmd.exe but when i enter the same IP in the url bar it times out.

I would really like some help with this soon, I want to create a static IP for my minecraft server but i can not access the Belkin54g router settings...

Ping uses a different port than a browser. The problem is usually a malware app or firewall. Try disabling them to test

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/186956-i-can-ping-router-defualt-gateway-but-no-access-settings.html
Relevancy 46.87%

hello all config Gateway, Wireless hooked to DSL bridge? to up router i recently replaced a bad dsl modem with a adaptec dsl gateway the gt- model NO wireless this was fine until my bro started to visit and he started complaining of the lack of wireless internet my wife just bought a laptop too so they both needed wireless i bought a d-link di- wireless b g router and hooked i up to my dsl gateway the gateway has the model and -port router built into one machine i cannot get any wireless internet i get a strong signal in the Wireless router hooked up to DSL Gateway, config to bridge? house but when my computer tries to get an ip it cannot do so my buddy says i need to configure my adaptec dsl gateway into a brige now saying that i no longer want it to do the routing just act as a modem since i have the d-link router hooked up now is this the problem what set up procedure to do thanks in advance for any input nbsp

A:Wireless router hooked up to DSL Gateway, config to bridge?

The best solution is to configure the D-Link as a switch and wireless access point. Following is JohnWill's procedure. That router has auto-sensing ports so you do NOT need a cross-over cable.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-router-hooked-up-to-dsl-gateway-config-to-bridge.581165/
Relevancy 46.87%

All right here is my story and my problem..
I am using router Thomson Speedtouch 780 WL and Windows XP SP 2 Version 2002. Everything worked well until one day my connection dropped and now doesn't work. I reseted router and couldn't set it up again on my PC! (web browser doesn't open router webpage) but it worked everything well for laptop. My PC doesn't say like router would be unplugged, but it says that my connection is "Limited or no connectivity". I can't even use Mail programs/MSN on my PC, but all works on wifi/laptop using cable.
My config settings seem to be same as on laptop and I reinstalled my ethernet driver but nothing has got better...
Help? Should I do Format C: already or is there another way out?

Thanks in advance!

A:[XP]Computer doesn't read router/default gateway? :/

Hi,
sounds a little like the problem I just resolved:

Wireless stopped working

Best regards,
Sundance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-computer-doesnt-read-router-default-gateway.686021/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi I have a new G router which I am trying to connect to an all-in-one PC-LCD monitor for digital signage via LAN The PC is running XP-embedded The problem is that I can t see the router from the PC I have plugged it in connected it via LAN and set the Local Area Connection to router other laptop LAN with default on fine works No gateway but on Obtain IP automatically and DNS automatically However I get limited or no connectivity and clicking No default gateway on LAN with router but works fine on other laptop repair says it cannot No default gateway on LAN with router but works fine on other laptop renew IP address If I do ipconfig there is no default gateway showing Therefore if I go to IE and type which is what the IP should be it can t find No default gateway on LAN with router but works fine on other laptop anything It isn t to do with the G network because I can t even access the router config page before even thinking about getting to the outside world It doesn t seem to be the LAN connection wiring because the LAN light on the router flickers when the PC is trying to get an IP so it is connecting ok It also doesn t appear to be an issue which resetting the router would solve since I just unplugged it and plugged it into my laptop LAN and as soon as I typed into IE it works fine on my laptop Any suggestions most welcome as I am stumped Cheers Ian nbsp

Relevancy 46.87%

I have DSL internet through Verizon. They gave us a Westell 6100G modem which we have connected to our Linksys WRT54GS router which we use to get internet to all the devices on the network. The modem is in bridge mode and the router is in gateway mode.
I need to forward a port and I can't get it to work. I know how to forward ports on the modem and the router, in fact I can get it to work if I plug my computer directly into the modem and skip the router (which means that it's not any firewall on my pc that's causing the problem, so don't suggest that). I obviously can't leave it that way so what do I have to do here?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/port-forwarding-with-a-modem-bridge-and-a-router-gateway.986983/
Relevancy 46.87%

I have the ac power supply to my ARRIS TG852/CT router residential gateway but there is no indication i.e. led indicator that shows its powered on. No battery backup to the unit but it did previously work with just the ac power chord. Could there be a reason it wont power up or is it damaged?

A:No Power on ARRIS TG852G/CT Router Residential Gateway

or is it damaged?Click to expand...

sounds like a fault

do you have a voltmeter (multimeter) at all so you can see if you are getting power from the AC power adapter
The plug the AC power unit is plugged into , have you checked that is working - by plugging in another device ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-power-on-arris-tg852g-ct-router-residential-gateway.1067992/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello A while back i got myself a laptop with a router and i router Gateway... D-link up wireless Voip N with Setting wasn t able to successfully setup the router to Setting up D-link wireless N router with Voip Gateway... work with the gateway and i saw people were using my wireless network so i got fed up and decided to try to secure it once again now the Setting up D-link wireless N router with Voip Gateway... problem is the Voip gateway is always the default i cannot make my D-link router become the default gateway the voip gateway is always default for some reason therefore i cannot access the router setup page Right now i have an unsecured network i have a lan cable going from my desktop to port on my D-link wireless router and i have a lan cable going from the voip gateway into port on the wireless router that s the only way i can get both the laptop and desktop to connect to the internet Can anyone help me out The Gateway is a DVG- M and the wireless router is a DIR- Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Setting up D-link wireless N router with Voip Gateway...

Nevermind, i fixed the problem, thanks for the help though...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-d-link-wireless-n-router-with-voip-gateway.695096/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi all I have two devices One is a Linksys WRG G router The other is a PC running the Smoothwall router software with URL filtering Either would work fine on its own as a router I m wanting to use them both though because each offers different features Right now the Linksys router is connected to the WAN and is my DHCP server Its IP is The Smoothwall box has a static IP of I want all web traffic to go through Smoothwall because it offers good web filtering I know I could use Smoothwall as my router and rid of the Linksys but the whole idea behind this is to use the QoS and other features that Linksys firmwares offer such as Tomato or DD-WRT all content for web router/gateway through separate Force traffic filtering but still keep the ability Force all web traffic through separate router/gateway for content filtering to filter URLs So is there any way to do this This works if I manually set the proxy server on each machine to point to Smoothwall but I d rather it Force all web traffic through separate router/gateway for content filtering be totally automatic if it s possible Would really appreciate any info Can t quite figure this one out Thanks nbsp

A:Force all web traffic through separate router/gateway for content filtering

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/force-all-web-traffic-through-separate-router-gateway-for-content-filtering.1073988/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi, I am a AT&T customer with a 2Wire513 modem/router which is wired to one desktop PC and wireless to two laptops.

I have an old Linksys WRT160N router that I purchased right before AT&T sent me the 2Wire Gateway. My laptops are too far away from the gateway to get a good, steady Internet connection.
Is there a way to use my Linksys router between my two laptops and my gateway to provide the laptops with Internet, without the router having to be plugged into a phone jack?

I think what I need to do is install DD-WRT on my Linksys router first, but I'm unsure of where to go next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-using-a-2wire513-gateway-and-a-linksys-router-for-greater-signal-distance.142934/
Relevancy 45.15%

Ok new problem my boss encountered today actually it was three times at three different customers Computer cannot get out to the internet I would list hardware but all three machines are different laptop desktop dell hp lenovo etc IE comes back with a DNS problem whenever a web page is accessed seems like its a DNS problem but pinging www google com goes through so there must No ping and connected works yet internet, says gateway Internet be something activley resolving the dns No programs can access internet for updates or for program functions except email can be received not sent Tried everything all the ipconfig options winsockfix new NIC etc Keep in mind all three of these machines were connected to routers where there were no other problems on the other machines on the network Ran smitfraudfix and combofix and came back with nothing infecting the machine as far as their scope goes So after trying this all for hours at the customers place he finally decided to try it in safe mode with networkng and it worked as if there was no problem When msconfig was looked at to see the startup items and what could have been causing it nothing peculiar stood out So any thoughts i personally think its a new virus or spyware that is not on the def list yet So aside from a reinstall what other things could this be do i have to change msconfig one line at a time and reboot X amount of times to isolate it HELP PLEASE -Tenz

A:No internet, yet ping works and Internet gateway says connected

have you tried connecting any of those computers directly to your modem, its very unlikely for 3 computers to have their outgoing blocked as you said only thing that works is mail incoming. but then again if all there computers have the same problem, you might want to try re-registering their dll's..

if it's really a dns problem, it wouldn't even let you ping the website itself other than using their ip's

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176221/no-internet-yet-ping-works-and-internet-gateway-says-connected/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi all,

I am new to TechSpot. Actually, I need some help setting up my wireless network at home. currently, I am using Dlink 502T DSL router for internet and trying to connect the Dlink router to Netgear wireless router WGR614 for wirelss internet connection to other PC's. Could anybody please tell me how to connect these routers. I am trying to connect Dlink with netgear but i am unable to configure the same. When i use Dlink router directly with the PC, my internet works fine but when i try to use netgear inbetween Dlink router and a PC, my internet stops working. Please suggest. I want to distribute internet to my other computer thru netgear wireless router. please help...

ndhingra
http://www.techspot.com/vb/images/icons/icon5.gif

A:how to configure Dlink ADSL router and Netgear Wireless router for internet distrib

Ndhingra said:

Hi all,

I am new to TechSpot. Actually, I need some help setting up my wireless network at home. currently, I am using Dlink 502T DSL router for internet and trying to connect the Dlink router to Netgear wireless router WGR614 for wirelss internet connection to other PC's. Could anybody please tell me how to connect these routers. I am trying to connect Dlink with netgear but i am unable to configure the same. When i use Dlink router directly with the PC, my internet works fine but when i try to use netgear inbetween Dlink router and a PC, my internet stops working. Please suggest. I want to distribute internet to my other computer thru netgear wireless router. please help...

ndhingra
http://www.techspot.com/vb/images/icons/icon5.gifClick to expand...

The easiest way is to run the CD that should have come with the Router, if you havent got it then you will have to configure it manually.

Full instructions can be found on the netgear website here.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-configure-dlink-adsl-router-and-netgear-wireless-router-for-internet-distrib.60584/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello Short story even shorter there was a semi-power outage this morning lights were very dim but power wasn Linksys - WRT54G ALL. via internet Solved: light access WLAN AT no off router router t totally off and when the power came back on my router stopped working Here s what I know -The WLAN LED is no longer lit so there s no wireless That orange CiscoSystems button is no longer glowing orange either if that means much -For some odd reason a Solved: Linksys WRT54G router WLAN light off - no internet access via router AT ALL. wired connection through any of the ethernet ports on the router no longer works either though the LED s still light up when connected along with the internet LED -The modem works fine I m connected to the internet directly from the modem right now -I ve tried to reset the router but it doesn t seem to do anything -I ve tried to access the router config settings and the page doesn t load -I ve tried to look up the routers ip address through the command prompt but when I enter the command quot ipconfig quot when I m wired through the router I always get the response something along the lines of quot media disconnected quot When I try the command when connected directly to the modem the default gateway ip address comes up as This doesn t work either I ve been searching the web for solutions for hours and I can t find one This is actually the first time I ve ever had to post a thread asking for help and I ve experienced a slew of computer problems over the years lol It may very well be that the router is fried but I m just trying to exhaust my options I ll appreciate it to no end if someone can help me solve this problem in a way that doesn t require me to buy a new one lol Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Linksys WRT54G router WLAN light off - no internet access via router AT ALL.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-linksys-wrt54g-router-wlan-light-off-no-internet-access-via-router-at-all.960352/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hope this isn't confusing but, my internet provider (my cable company) came in to set up a wireless modem/router when we upped our internet speed today. We have three desktop computers which are hard wired to our existing Linksys router which we have been using previously. Would it be in our best interest to turn off the wireless function of that router (it's hooked up to the new modem/wireless router so the hardwired computers can function since the new unit has no ports to plug in the desktop computers into). Our wireless devices are all 'connected' to the new modem/router (using its passphrase and SSID). Can the wireless capabilities of each interfere with each other? They are sitting right next to each other.

A:Solved: Internet provider wireless modem/router and my hard wired router

It's confusing to me, but can make two comments ...

a. If you are not using the wireless network of a router it's best to disable or turn off the wireless--saves electricity and should extend the life of the router.

b. Two wireless networks whose channel numbers are less than five from each other can interfere. In North America if possible use channels 1, 6 and 11 to guarantee non interference.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-internet-provider-wireless-modem-router-and-my-hard-wired-router.1122336/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi I ve been having problems connecting to the internet from my laptop at home I have computers here a desktop and the lap the desktop connects Gateway Problems/Internet Connection Internet to the internet alright but the laptop says it s connected but i can t access any websites or use the internet at all I m using a router for the lap which is also connected to a modem for the desktop I noticed i had that internet gateway connection thing so I got rid of it on my laptop but I still can t connect to the internet I found the same Internet Gateway icon on the desktop but I couldn t delete it I did the same thing going through Internet Connection Problems/Internet Gateway Control Panel Add Remove programs AddRemove Windows Components Networking Services Details but the internet gateway wasn t there even though it still shows under my network connections The funny thing is that the desktop works fine and the laptop doesn t so i don t know what to do Any help will be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Internet Connection Problems/Internet Gateway

On the laptop, do this:

For 98 or ME, Start, Run, COMMAND to open a DOS window:
--- or ---
For 2K or XP, Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-connection-problems-internet-gateway.527407/
Relevancy 44.29%

I was attempting to port foreward for my PS but was having no luck Long story short I tried changing internet access router settings after changing or Solved: Unable router's IP. to the Solved: Unable to access internet or router settings after changing router's IP. router s IP to see if it would work Here s where the problem began I changed it from to which I believe may have made it conflict with my modem Now I m stuck not being able to access the internet through the router at all or access the router s configuration to change it back When I try to access it I just get a quot Page not Found quot The computer connected directly to the router is running Windows XP The Router is a Linksys WRT GS v I ve tried disconnecting the internet from the Router to see if it would stop the conflicting problem if that is indeed the problem but it didn t work I ve tried setting up many different static IP adresses for the computer connected to the router directly but it didn t work I ve tried nearly everything but I just can t get it working I m posting this through a computer connected through a switch to my modem Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Unable to access internet or router settings after changing router's IP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-unable-to-access-internet-or-router-settings-after-changing-routers-ip.887788/
Relevancy 44.29%

I know there is a buttload of bad stuff on my computer but I need a quick fix for my problem now My router modem work fine They're connected to my computer and VOIP and they work perfectly The problem is the internet does but computer does works, router. internet Router problem, not detect not register this and thus doesn't work on other PCs In other words I can't get my laptop to recognize my router When I start up network connections I get this message runtime error program program files microsoft broadband msbnutil exe this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way Please contact the application's support team for more information Router problem, internet works, but computer does not detect router. The original message was quot broadband error quot or somethign like Router problem, internet works, but computer does not detect router. that so I did a week old system restore No good So I figure there's a problem on my computer Also I tested the connection thoroughly and I reset them and junk but still I got nothing Router problem, internet works, but computer does not detect router. Here thanks in advance Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v BETA Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files Alcohol Soft Alcohol StarWind StarWindService exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C windows system hpsysdrv exe C WINDOWS System VTTimer exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C WINDOWS system ps exe C Program Files Winamp winampa exe C Program Files D-Tools daemon exe C WINDOWS ALCXMNTR EXE C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead lib NMBgMonitor exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files Ares Ares exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Documents and Settings Owner Desktop SetPoint KEM exe C Documents and Settings Owner Desktop SetPoint KHALMNPR EXE C Program Files Microsoft Broadband Networking MSBNTray exe C Program Files Paltalk Messenger palstart exe C Program Files WiFiConnector NintendoWFCReg exe C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE C Program Files BHODemon BHODemon exe C Program Files Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exe C WINDOWS system notepad exe C PROGRA MOZILL FIREFOX EXE C Program Files Microsoft Broadband Networking MSBNUtil exe C Documents and Settings Ujjayini B My Documents My Pictures FRIENDS HiJackThis v exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Mai... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/router-problem-internet-works-but-computer-does-not-detect-router-160972.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hey yall Am connected router computer internet to is Solved: connects to not my router my but My having an issue after resetting my router My computer connects to my router and the signal is fine but the router does not seem to be connected to the internet am a web researcher and i use my internet everyday and I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out Here is the ipconfig message http Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Mike gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Mike-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Motorola SURFboard USB Cable Modem Physical Address - - -A -EC-AF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Solved: My computer connects to my router but my router is not connected to internet Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c c Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained August- - AM Lease Expires August- - AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description HP b g Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address -C -A -AE- -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe dbc e f dc Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained August- - PM Lease Expires August- - PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address - - - B- -C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap A AE -F B- - C D- FBE DA br ED Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F E -DF - CB -AA -D F B br F Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Temporary IPv Address c b c b Preferred Default Gateway c c DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Hope this helps Thank Again nbsp

A:Solved: My computer connects to my router but my router is not connected to internet

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-my-computer-connects-to-my-router-but-my-router-is-not-connected-to-internet.613776/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have Linksys wireless router and I ve been using that for awhile no problems router, connected another Router slower internet Solved: to with it I had a foot CAT cable sitting around and as well an old D-Link DI- wired router so I decided to turn the router into a switch so can Solved: Router connected to another router, slower internet I hardwire my Desktop and PS I have the Port Linksys router outputting the internet to the WAN D-Link wired router using the foot cable and then using Port and to my Desktop and PS respectively Everything on the Desktop and PS side seems to be great i ve noticed web pages loading times decrease Except that the computer which is hardwired to my Linksys wireless router is awfully snail slow Is it because the D-Link router is a Router and not a switch that this problem is happening Edit - I ve been reading that this is more complicated then a simple plug and go I have to disable the DHCP and everything everytime I try to log into my D-Link router it ll get into the routers main page but nothing will load after I try to click LAN or WAN or DHCP Edit - Alright so I have changed my nd router to disable the DHCP and changed the IP to be different from my st router and everything seems good except for one thing When I plug in my PS to either Port or Port the whole network is crippled and nothing connects Very interesting I m going to replace the CAT cable from my PS to my router-switch with a crossover cable i ve got a feeling it s because of that b Edit - I figured out that uPnP was enabled so I disabled it I m not having anymore problems I guess I solved my own issue LOL nbsp

A:Solved: Router connected to another router, slower internet

I guess so.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-router-connected-to-another-router-slower-internet.798888/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello I own two routers - D-Link DSL- another connect (via Router a Solved: modem) as router Internet used to cannot ADSL not wireless and D-Link DIR- wireless The set-up used to be like this - Internet ADSL cable pluged Solved: Router cannot connect to Internet (via another router used as a modem) in Solved: Router cannot connect to Internet (via another router used as a modem) DSL- router - PC connected to DSL- via Ethernet port - DIR- connected to DSL- Ethernet port to Internet port - DSL- works as a modem - Laptop wirelessly connected to DIR- Everything has worked note it wasn t me who set this up Unfortunatelly I have reseted the DIR- wireless router because of some troubles Now the wireless router doesn t connect to the Internet I can connect either computer via cable with the first router and it works like a dream Computers can also see the DIR- router when connected to it via cable but it does not see the Internet I ve switched the setup on and off several times Cables work Computers work they can see Internet from other sources I guess I need to configure the wireless router in some certain way but I really have no idea how I d be grateful for your help nbsp

A:Solved: Router cannot connect to Internet (via another router used as a modem)

Probably IP Address conflict as both D-Links would usually use 192.168.0.1 for default internal (LAN) IP.

You would need to change the LAN IP address of the DIR-615 to another subnet such as 192.168.2.1 for a modem LAN port to router WAN (Internet) port connection unless the DIR-615 can be set as an access point. Will need to check the User Manual to see. Will pull up a PDF and check.

Another option would be to set up using the following method by John Will.
Connecting two soho routers in a network
Tutorial from Johnwill from the Networking Forum

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

Hopefully one of these will lead you in the right direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-router-cannot-connect-to-internet-via-another-router-used-as-a-modem.1082208/
Relevancy 43.86%

I m trying to hook up a wireless connection in my home When the DSL is connected regularly through the modem it works just fine But when I hook up the Netgar router and try to set it up so that my son s laptop can have wireless the internet router. with router Internet not works Problems: but Wireless w/o will not connect I get an error that gives me the option to redial but that never works either We tried a Belkin router It just stopped working recently then tried linksys and now Netgar Thanks in advance Here s my hijackthis log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware guard exe C Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe C Program Files Linksys Linksys Updater bin LinksysUpdater exe C WINDOWS system java exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C PROGRA Yahoo browser ycommon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C Program Files Netscape Navigator navigator exe C Program Files hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http g msn com me enus R - HKLM Software Microsoft Wireless Problems: Internet works w/o router but not with router. Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Wireless Problems: Internet works w/o router but not with router. Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cus sbcydsl http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C PROGRA Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - Toolbar Windows Live Toolbar - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - HKLM Run igfxtray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run dla C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe O - HKLM Run c e rundll exe quot C WINDOWS system maiigjwq dll quot b O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - Extra context menu item amp Search - p ZKfox O - Extra context menu item amp Windows Live Search - res C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll search htm O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button AT amp T Yahoo Services - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C Program Files Yahoo Common yiesrvc dll O - Trusted Zone www watch-movies net O - DPF E F - B - D - - BD D PCPitstop Utility - http pcpitstop com betapit pcpitstop cab O - DPF B EE-B - D - - BD D iCC Class - http www pcpitstop com internet pcpConnCheck cab O - DPF - f - bb - d -fa d f a ab Installation Support - C Program Files Yahoo Common Yinsthelper dll O - DPF A EB- FA- AE -A B-C BBFC Verizon Wireless Media Upload - http picture vzw com activex VerizonWirelessUploadControl cab O - DPF FB -C - D - F- A C F mhLabel Class - http pcpitstop com mhLbl cab O - DPF A A -F - AD- - BC B DD Crucial cpcScan - http crucial com controls cpcScanner cab O - DPF A D FD- F- AE-B -E FA BE FE LinkSys Content Update - http www linksysfix com netcheck install gtdownls cab O - DPF DA AA CF- C A- B -BC B-C BB MSN Games Game Communicator - http zone msn com binframework v StProxy cab cab O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip E BDCA - D - - D -ADCEB E A Name... Read more

Relevancy 43.86%

Hi I m brand new here and I don t have tons of computer knowledge although I am learning I hope We bought a campground last year and were offering a wifi hot spot located near the camp office It was actually done by accident because we live in the same building and have our own home network secured the run i and can same router on unsecured internet router a an connection? of computers We have a Linksys WRT G router can i run a secured router and an unsecured router on the same internet connection? and a cable modem So the campers were hopping on our wireless I had some problems over the winter with someone using my credit card online I was advised to maybe try getting another router and a hub switch and basically to hook that hub switch to the cable modem and then hook both routers to that and to have one of the routers be secured WPA and the other unsecured for the campers to use as can i run a secured router and an unsecured router on the same internet connection? a wifi hotspot I also bought a Linksys range expander which I haven t set up yet If this configuration with routers on the same cable modem will work I will set up the range expander to the unsecured router I emailed linksys to ask them if this whole configuration was possible and the answer I received was basically not very straightforward but they made it sound like it couldn t be done So now I m asking you if it can be done the way I said or if there s another way I can offer an unsecured hot spot without compromising my own home network and security and without costing me a fortune Hope someone can help Thanks nbsp

A:can i run a secured router and an unsecured router on the same internet connection?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-run-a-secured-router-and-an-unsecured-router-on-the-same-internet-connection.561105/
Relevancy 43.86%

Okay, here's what i have to say in brief:
I have this internet connection connected to my pc, i have another NIC installed for routing this internet to other computers. I have TP-LINK Wireless router and all I want to do is connect the internet to my PC first then connect router to my PC via another NIC so that the router can route that internet!
Any help is highly appreciated; i have been trying hard but really end up in dead-end everytime
I connected my router's WAN port via 2nd NIC and set the router to static mode (don't know what i have to do here)

A:Share my PC's internet using router (pc to router and router to other)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/share-my-pcs-internet-using-router-pc-to-router-and-router-to-other.959122/
Relevancy 43%

I have a DLink 502T ADSL router, and a DLink 824VUP+ wireless router.
I realise my problem is having 2 DHCP servers.
I want my WR (Wireless Router) to be my DHCP server as it has more security features and functionality.

Say I get the internet going on the AR (ADSL Router) and then assign it a static IP (DHCP off) of 192.168.1.1
Then I setup my WR with LAN address 192.168.0.1 and range 192.168.0.100 - ...
I can ping both routers, can only log in to the WR, and cannot get internet.

I have been going for hours trying everything any advice would be excellent. Thanks.

Relevancy 43%

gonna try to make this router Solved: to internet! Modem HELP!!! to router, but NO as easy to understand as possible my network is has been set up like this - cable comes from the wall into the modem - a line then goes from the modem to a D-Link Solved: Modem to router to router, but NO internet! HELP!!! wireless router this router supplied a few connections including - a line that went from the D-link to a Linksys WRT-GS wireless router this is the router my PC is hardwired too This network setup worked perfect i had ZERO issues days ago the router in the middle the D-link died i had a few other routers sitting around a linksys wrt-G and a TP-LINK wireless N i thought i would be able Solved: Modem to router to router, but NO internet! HELP!!! to just put one of these in the D-Link s place and i would be up and running again NOPE no matter what i do or try i can not get router to pick up an internet connection from whatever router is directly connected to the modem the router that is directly connected to the modem has internet no problems but that router will not sent the nd router the info it needs to get online as well SO im not sure what the problem is i have spent many hours messing around in the router setup pages for all routers changing IP s DNS s advanced routing options router mode or gateway mode releasing and renewing DHCP s resetting to factory defaults a lot of this stuff i dont understand i even tried swapping places with them to see if maybe one liked being the host more then another no dice is there some magic combination that i am missing here do i need to update firmware Was the D-Link that i used before just THAT special should i go buy another D-link PLEASE HELP i currently connected to the router that is directly connected to the modem so im fine but i need that nd router through the st router because i share this connection with others thank you nbsp

A:Solved: Modem to router to router, but NO internet! HELP!!!

i think i may have found my problem/solution. however im just starting to the process to find out if it will work. im still open to any help and suggestions anyone has for me.

the solution im trying is: to make sure both routers dont have the same IP address, and if they do, change the secondary router IP to something else.

i have learned that what im trying to do is called cascading.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-modem-to-router-to-router-but-no-internet-help.1078837/
Relevancy 43%

Hello assistance connection" Windows storm) type: Solved: "internet req. internet gateway(packet xp I have my desktop pc configured with a static ip of my gateway is this is my com ethernet card tcp ip properties However i just noticed in the quot internet connection quot window i notice one connection called the quot Internet Gateway quot connection the thing that concerns me about this connection is that it is constantly sending and receiving packets im up to billion packets received so far I selected Solved: Windows xp "internet connection" type: internet gateway(packet storm) req. assistance the quot show icon in notification area quot and its constantly sending and receiving packets literally non-stop both sending and receiving no matter what However my LAN connection is not i typically see the send and recieve lights for this one only light up as i load a new Solved: Windows xp "internet connection" type: internet gateway(packet storm) req. assistance web page etc I have quot show icon in notification area quot selected for both Solved: Windows xp "internet connection" type: internet gateway(packet storm) req. assistance connections I have no wireless card on my desktop and only one nic Can anyone help to explain if i disable this connection it restarts by itself after seconds or so and why its constantly sending and receiving packets these two connections are name internet connection type internet gateway status connected firewalled firewalled device name internet connection name HomeNet type LAN High speed internet status connected firewalled firewalled device name Com EtherLink nbsp

A:Solved: Windows xp "internet connection" type: internet gateway(packet storm) req. assistance

In your network connections window "local area connection" is for your local network, meaning the physical device in your computer that processes the data from the Ethernet cord that is plugged into. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the internet, though it is the device you probably have your Ethernet cable from your router or modem plugged into. "internet gateway" is an icon showing that your computer is directly connected to the internet (or connected to it through a router) and represents your computers connection to the internet. both icons are normal, if you unplug your computers Ethernet cord the 3com will switch to "network cable unplugged" and the internet gateway will disappear. the 3com local area connection icon doesn't disappear because the device is still physically installed in the computer. But once the internet is gone, the internet gateway fades out or disappears completely, because it only represents the computers "internet connection." Even when you are not actively browsing websites, the computer is still connected to the internet, and thats why it constantly sends and receives packets. if its sending and receiving way too many packets, thats kind of a different issue. but those packets are indeed data sent and received from your computer to the internet and back. I hope this helps.

your description really makes it hard to tell if the amount of packets sent and received is excessive, because we don't really know how much downloading you are doing, or what internet capable programs besides internet explorer you may have running at any given time.

it's creation is usually the result of having the ICS features enabled, if it helps, there is more information about it here....

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/internetgateway.htm
if you know you dont need it on the pc in question, then you can try:

go to Start
Control Panel
Ad/remove Programs
Ad/remove Windows Components
go to Network Services
Uncheck "Internet Gateway"
and finish by pressing OK.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-internet-connection-type-internet-gateway-packet-storm-req-assistance.696096/
Relevancy 43%

I have so much to say so I'll just post short stuff First problem pc would not post as if could not read memory black screen and would not advance I took out memory cleaned dust worked great did same problem again Win help! - My Internet Explorer go XP on Won't line, one other time took out memory and reinstalled worked Win XP - My Internet Explorer Won't go on line, help! great Now another problem the pc works except I cannot go on line Internet Explorer opens but it won't go on line it hangs for ever I do get emails so internet service is okay plus other pc in the house works great Also things like quot WORD quot and quot Adobe Photo Shop quot work great But email has been freezing now it freezes and the whole pc freezes but when first going in it does get emails then in a short while it all freezes Now let me say this I'll CON quot T - ALT - DEL then go to Windows Task Manager then go to the Processes tab to see what files are problems and its always the same few the major one when clicking to open IE is the quot iexplore exe quot file is at working then there are a few other files that are at frozen that are next in line as I shut down files But mainly the quot iexplore exe file is because I always click on IE first going on line then as I open other programs is what also needs to be shut down in the Processes tab then I need to go in and unfreeze and you see whats next in line that has that needs to be shut down next But the pc will not freeze if I stay away from the IE and Outlook Express but I can use the AVG Virus Protection and go on line no problems I don't know where to start or where to look to fix this I did try to load the same XP Windows Disc back on because I did see at one time a repair but it would not let me go forward because it said that what I have on there now is newer than the disk I don't know why its the same disc I first used plus I was not able to find Windows XP in the Install and Remove Programs I figured if I deleted XP I can load it back on again Please help me where to look thanks so much Joe

A:Win XP - My Internet Explorer Won't go on line, help!

Incase anybody wanted to know I went to Microsoft.com and down loaded every single up date that took a long time to do, then after reboot the computer worked perfect.

I can't believe this, I thought for sure it had to have the XP disc reloaded again.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-xp-my-internet-explorer-wont-go-on-line-help-97157.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello!
I'm an italian User
Sorry for my bad english

I have problems whit the Png File extension.
I don't see the image in internet and in my pc(Help line)
This is an example

I downloaded the PNG extension, I have added to the registry, but nothing happens.

What can i do?
Many thanks for your work!

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/286339-i-dont-see-image-internet-my-pc-help-line.html