Windows Support Forum

All Home Folder on Server 2003 with same name

Q: All Home Folder on Server 2003 with same name

Hi all,

I got a problem with a Server 2003 and computer with Vista Business 32bit.

Situation:
All user have a home folder on a Windows 2003 Server and I redirect the "My Documents" folder from Vista on this folder.

Problem:
When I look on the server the folder where the home folder are store, I see all folder for all user with the same name "Documents" and not the logon name from my user. Sample in the attached file. If I rename the folder "Documents" with something other all folder have after the same name again.

All computer with Windows XP do not make this problem, the folder name stay with the user logon name.

Can someone help me? Thanks

PS: I hope that my english is not to bad, I'm from Switzerland

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: All Home Folder on Server 2003 with same name

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: All Home Folder on Server 2003 with same name

I'm getting the exact same issue. Did you find a resolution?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/183898-all-home-folder-server-2003-same-name.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi I am having an issue Folder issue, Offline 7 Win Client Flie Server. Server 2003 sync with offline files created offline syncing back to the server I have set up a network share to be available offline on a client computer All files are available offline without Offline Folder sync issue, Win 7 Client Server 2003 Flie Server. issue Here is the issue however If I set the folder to work offline any file I create in the folder when it is offline just disappears when the folder comes back online there are no conflicts or sync failures reported in sync center If I create a new folder offline the folder does sync back to the server Any changes made to an existing file are also replicated back to the server once the share is back online So the issue is only with newly created files when the share is offline I have not been able to replicate this error on any other file server in our environment However I have recreated the issue with multiple shares with multiple Win clients on this file server Steps taken so far Checked and reset permission levels on the share Recreated new shares from scratch for testing Disabled and enabled offline files on the client computer and cleared the offline cache Check various registry entry settings Disabled cashing on the File server Tested with XP the issue does not exist with XP I have spent hours researching this error online to no avail The clients are running Windows Enterprise bit The File server is Server Standard bit with SP Any help or ideas would be most welcome

A:Offline Folder sync issue, Win 7 Client Server 2003 Flie Server.

I've seen the complaints about this problem but with no clear resolution. There are some hot fixes listed that may help, updating to Windows 7 SP1 is supposed to help in some cases but nothing seems for certain.

No way for me to recreate this problem but apparently others have the same problem.

Offline created files disappear after re-connect

Browse by Tags - The troubleshooters and problem solvers... - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Administratively assigned offline files on Win7 client disappear from server (Network Steve Forum)

The Group Policy settings in the next link may have an effect on this problem.

http://mcpmag.com/articles/2003/11/0...ine-files.aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/278175-offline-folder-sync-issue-win-7-client-server-2003-flie-server.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Good day all from the high arctic I just installed a server in our school running windows SP I have created user accounts for all the students and set them up with roaming profiles active directory I think that is what it is called The problem is that my students do not like to wait the min to login So I started reading about folder redirection Sounds easy Open File Server Management create a shared folder called users Set the share permissions to full control for Everyone open Active Directory Users and Computers Right click the domain and go to properties click on the Group Policy tab this is where I have questions I have been just editing the Default Domain Policy is this right Edit the Policy go to -User config -Windows Settings -Folder Redirection Then I right click My Documents On the Target tab I select Advance - Specify locations for various user groups Then Click Add entered the name of redirection Folder 2003 windows server the group testI have a user called test t who is a member of the test group I selected Create Folder redirection windows 2003 server a folder for each user under the root path and for the root path I enter servername users then click ok So then what I mean what is supposed Folder redirection windows 2003 server to happen I log into a computer with my test t account and the roaming profile works fine BUT nothing happens to My Documents Am I missing something or am I just to simple to figure this out or is the fact that it is snowing out causing some ID- T error Help please nbsp

A:Folder redirection windows 2003 server

* When you try to save something to my documents does it get copied over to the folder on the server?
* What happens when you right-click the My Documents folder and go to properties?
* Whats your OU structure like?
* Where is the user?

No sure what guide you followed but take a look at these

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/ar...e-Folder-Redirection-Windows-Server-2003.html
http://www.msterminalservices.org/articles/Configure-Folder-Redirection.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-redirection-windows-2003-server.746914/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi I am the IT support guy at a hospital and have started noticing that a few user logons have the ability to access all of the folders on the network share It appears that they have Domain Admin access I have checked permissions and these users do not belong to groups that have been given access to the folder I have covered what I believe to be the basics folder permissions users permissions group permissions inheritance etc but the IT manager and myself have run out of Inappropriate access Server folder 2003 Win on ideas I realise I can add the users that I have noticed to all folders on the network share and expressly deny them access but this will do nothing to any other users that also have this quirk that I have not picked up on yet Is there any area I am not looking at and is there a way to discover if any other users also have incorrect access without the need of testing every user about at last count The hospital is running Win Server and the client machines are a mixture of Win and Win XP Any ideas would be gratefully received Thanks Inappropriate folder access on Win Server 2003 nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/inappropriate-folder-access-on-win-server-2003.775496/
Relevancy 64.07%

Dear all ,

i have a windows Xp professional (service pack 2) hp notebook joined to server 2003 domain. Every morning when the user boots up the notebook she can connect to the share drive on the server but doesnt see any of the folders... she will only see it after a restart of the computer...can anyone tell me why that might be the case ?

thanxs in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/shared-folder-on-windows-2003-server-388587.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi all,

I've been seeing around at book stores books about Windows Home Server, and I have a couple of questions I'd like like to know about.

Firstly, what similarities are there between Home and Business Server editions? Does it still utilise Group Policy and the Active Directory structure for creating users, groups and restrictions?

And secondly, what differences are there (besides obviously creating and joining a domain)?

Relevancy 63.64%

Hi All wonder if you can help I have a server with windows on x desktop x laptop x port router The server has been configured as a domain controller a DNS server and a DHCP server The DHCP scope is to Exceptions are to The router is on The Static IP addy of the server and the DNS addy is the server is ported into lan Home A Network Domain Server 2003 port on A Home Domain Server 2003 Network the router desktop on and laptop on The laptop receives its TCP IP settings from DHCP server above as does the desktop Problem - laptop receives it DHCP settings and is given brill -- thats what I expect because to are exclusions Desktop receives - why does it not receive - next ip addy in scope I can ping my server by name Server and by domain - contoso com from both A Home Domain Server 2003 Network laptop and desktop I can also ping gateway and ping out to the net Problem I cannot get either the desktop or the laptop to join a domain I get a Network not found error message The DNS addy is the server addy which it should be If I do nslookup I get server not found If I do nslookup server it finds it as it does if I do contoso local DCDIAG also reports no errors - so why can I not get the computers to join the domain I am using an administrator account to join them that has the rights to Do I need to configure the server to have Router amp RRAS Role aswell Absolutely stumped on this one - any help very much appreciated regards Brett nbsp

A:A Home Domain Server 2003 Network

Trippppple check the Subnet Mask on the server. Well all devices. I have fat fingered and at a glance thought all was well when not.

Same could be true of default gateway IP settings.

Not to be belittling, just voice of bad experience.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-home-domain-server-2003-network.602125/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello everybody. We have a Windows 2000 server based domain. Recently we installed Windows Server 2003 x64 R2 edition to a new server and added this server to the domain only as a member server. On this w2k3 server we have several shared directories for all domain users. The problem we have is that though everything seems to be working fine, but after some time domain users cannot access those shared folders at all or the server takes a very long time to react. W2k3 server has SP2 and all of the available updates applied. EventViewer does not show any error messages and there seems to be no problem with the server, because when you log on directly everything looks fine the system doesn't crash or smth. Afer restart of the server everything works again for several hours until the problem appears again. What could be causing this problem with shared folders?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-server-2003-shared-folder-problem.684450/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi Sys Windows Pro 8.1, and redirection Microsoft 2003 Windows folder server, clients attached to MS server domain yes I know its best to have a higher win server version with but i do not have that currently Ok so the problem is that roaming profiles and folder redirection work but on only SOME of the windows clients How can these both work fine on only SOME of my essentially identical workstations I realize that I need different Profile types for the different OS's I have applied the V registry edit and created Windows 8.1, Microsoft 2003 server, and folder redirection a V default profile in my sysvol directory on the DC so that the workstations get a proper V starting profile All PC's are in same OU container My GPO's for roaming profiles and folder redirection have not changed from my XP workstations Windows server domain controller So I create a new user and log into one of the win client machines on my Windows 8.1, Microsoft 2003 server, and folder redirection local lan Wow profile works V created in the profile share redirection works perfectly So Windows 8.1, Microsoft 2003 server, and folder redirection I log out I then remote to an identical PC across my wan Log in as same user and it works fine get the redirected desktop and profile But now the fun begins I log out to complete the profile quot swap quot back to the server I try to log back in and the disaster starts Yes I have triple checked my permissions on all shares etc I get the quot DESKTOP cannot be loaded error quot Logs show REDIRECTION SUCCESSFUL for my desktop What the I have received the quot redirection gpo not applied till next login quot log but it is intermittent Its like the OS does does not know it nose from its butt How can my desktop be redirected successfully and I get a message that my DESKTOP IS NOT AVAILABLE So I go back to my local lan machine and try logging in as this same user IT WORKS FINE OVER AND OVER AGAIN Does anyone have any clue how I can get my roaming profiles and folder redirection to work normally with my Win clients on my MS domain server I think I've blow a gasket on this one Thanks much Mark

A:Windows 8.1, Microsoft 2003 server, and folder redirection

I find hot fixes that seem to relate to this problem.

Incompatibility between Windows 8 roaming user profiles and roaming profiles in other versions of Windows

Windows 8.1 V3 Roaming Profiles

Windows 8 and 8.1 now has another version of roaming profiles which are incompatible with the Windows Vista/7 versions (Incompatibility between Windows 8 roaming user profiles and roaming profiles in other versions of Windows). As of the November 2013 Windows 8.1 update there is now a registry key you can set to spawn a .v3 profile to avoid conflicts with older versions of the profile. This registry key is a DWORD Value called “UseProfilePathExtensionVersion” with a value of “1″ and needs to be created under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlset\Services\ProfSvc\Parameters key. This can be then be deployed using the Group Policy Preferences Registry Extension that is targeted to the Windows 8.1 Computers.

Source: How to configure Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/45618-windows-8-1-microsoft-2003-server-folder-redirection.html
Relevancy 63.64%

i have a server running on 2003 and 14 clients i have tried configuring folder redirection but the foldders are not being redirected to the same folder. i partitioned my hard disk on the server and i redirect them to the partion named shared. is it a must to follow the UNC (universal naming convention)

i also want to create a OU named students that i will be able to set security settings for this OU like when to log in and what options they can get and what they cant do on the network

all the clients run windows XP service pack 2.
1. i want the olders to be redirected to one location
2. i want any user to log on on any client machine and be able to get the same settings as configured when he last logged on
please help

Relevancy 62.78%

My question is this:
Can I use my new laptop (the laptop hasn't even gotten here yet new) to partition the HDD to put Windows Server 2003 on part of it and XP home on the other part of it? I'm only asking because I've never tried doing it with server 2003. I only need server 2003 for learning purposes only, to get my MCSE cert. I need to simulate using it per the learning kit. Yes yes, I know "why not use VMWare?" I tried and I need ISS but XP home doesn't have it and rather have it on my new laptop instead of my home PC.

So, if I can do this, then would I simply reinstall XP home fresh but just partition the HDD, then slap the server 2003 disc in and start installing it on the other partition? Doesn't sound complicated. heh.
Thank you )

A:Installing Win Server 2003 AND XP home on a partitioned HDD of a laptop

VMware should install ok on XO Home

For IIS - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=install+iss+on+xp+home

...but ye your could dual boot ok but not worth the hassle imho

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-win-server-2003-and-xp-home-on-a-partitioned-hdd-of-a-laptop.645782/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello ladies and gentlemen I am a recent graduate trying to find a job I m comfortable with CCNA related material but unfortunately the jobs I want ask for many years of experience with Server So I want to play with it and learn as much as possible Thank goodness before I graduated I received a free copy of Server by my university through the MSDN alliance agreement with MS I want to learn how to use it but am having doubts on how to go about the topology Laptop running Server Desktop running WinXP Home eww will upgrade to Ubuntu later perhaps dual boot or VMWare don t know yet I want to run DHCP DNS AD amp DC on the laptop I want to Solved: home Server Topology with on network 2003? emulate as much as possible a business networked environment with these two computers I have wireless enabled and an Ethernet port on my laptop I am assuming these have different MAC addresses correct I keep reading that I may need two NICs to run Server I have Internet through cable with a cable modem My question is how should I setup the topology Do I need a wireless router Thank you so much for taking the time to read this I will let you know when I am MCSE Solved: Topology on home network with Server 2003? certified P S I am not asking you to walk me through the Server initial setup I want to learn that on my own if I have questions I will come back and ask but this is something I must Solved: Topology on home network with Server 2003? do on my own Although pointers are more than welcomed Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Hi All Windows Expert,

I have a Windows Server 2003, Win7Pro desktop A (User: John) and Win7Pro desktop B (User: Mary). 2003 sharing to Everyone has no problem. But I am stuck in this situation. I want John can Read & Write all files in 2003 folder (C:/testing) , Mary can only Read it.
They are in the same workgroup, Win Svr 2003 already added John & Mary user account, they have same password. In the folder(C:/testing) sharing setting & security setting, I have set John to Full Control, removed Everyone on both settings. But I still get this message when I click on the folder in desktop A (John) - Windows cannot access , You do not have permission to access.
Did I miss something? If I can't solve this, I can't move on Mary side.

I would be grateful if someone can provide any suggestion,
Thanks,

A:How to share folder (Win Server 2003) to specific people (Win7)?

You have Server 2003, but do you have a Domain ?? Let's start there since that's the easiest way to get the granularity you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/335274-how-share-folder-win-server-2003-specific-people-win7.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I m guessing this is a network issue it may not be We have several HP MFPs They all have quot scan to network folder quot enabled They were easy to set up and have been working fine In May we upgraded migrated to Windows servers All these MFPs were Possible Windows 2003 Server to with Scan folder Issue function MFP moved settings changed and again have been working fine This week for some reason none of them can scan to a network folder anymore They are all still printing and emailing but cannot quot find quot the network folder to send scans to I can ping the printer the WINS server is set right The printer uses a generic userid and when Possible Windows Server 2003 Issue with MFP Scan to folder function you sign on to a computer using that id you can get to the shared folder used for scanned files So the access is good permissions are right All these printers are getting the same error even though the all scan Possible Windows Server 2003 Issue with MFP Scan to folder function to different folders on the same server The server they scan to was rebooted on Sunday night Monday was the first day none of them could access the shared folders any more I cannot figure out what happened Nothing else was changed just a reboot Any ideas nbsp

A:Possible Windows Server 2003 Issue with MFP Scan to folder function

hmmm... now that sounds familiar. I don't have the solution for you but I have the same problem with a canon imagerunner scanning to a 2003 server. Spent a couple of hours at it, very simple feature but the server wouldn't allow it. Had to scan to a computer based print server and setup scan to email for the time being.

Had there been any microsoft updates that came down from microsoft before the reboot of the server? Is this a 2003 server? sp1 or sp2? Firewall didn't come on did it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possible-windows-server-2003-issue-with-mfp-scan-to-folder-function.493489/
Relevancy 62.35%

Dear Gurus,

We need help!!
Our Vista Home Premium Machines can't ping to our Windows Server 2003 R2, but Windows Server 2003 R2 can ping the Vista Home Premium Machines. FYI our Vista machines are connected through MPLS connection to our Head Office where Windows Server 2003
R2 machines located.

Both Firewalls are disabled.
Windows Server 2003 R2 in Standard Profile.

Tnx 
Rick

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/39967447-7014-46c6-95ef-f397fb5783db/vista-home-premium-cant-ping-windows-server-2003-r2?forum=itprovistanetworking
Relevancy 61.49%

I m just trying to figure out the right permissions for the home folder and the profile folder on my test network I ve got a windows server hosting the file manager services and have the directories structured like this C Home - contains bill doug mary jenn xavier C Profiles - contains the same When I go to active directory I have set the appropriate path to the above folders via server Profiles username amp server Home username When I create a new profile for any user and change a few problems to set permissions on how Server, Home folder them? settings or make a file test folder it saves it to the computer s local account on the hard drive and the server in the appropriate folder However the only thing that doesn t stick is the desktop wallpaper How come When I log in to the same account from a different computer or virtual machine some settings don t stick with the user account I thought the purpose of having a roaming profile was to have this feature the folder permissions on the home folder I want the Administrator account to have full access to everything and only the specified user to access their own home folder so other users cant see the contents Where do I set the Home folder permissions problems on Server, how to set them? permissions for this on the C Home folder or the individual security settings on the users folder name Any help would be appreciated I ve went through many books and training materials and can t seem to get it straightened out There are permissions and then security access I m getting confused between the restrictions they have Thanks again nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-folder-permissions-problems-on-server-how-to-set-them.107782/
Relevancy 61.49%

Continuing on from this thread I still haven and Home drives Workstation Server connectivity Mapped XP 2003 with issues t had success keeping mapped drives alive upon reboot To refresh the network setup is as followed x Windows Server Mapped drives connectivity issues with XP Home Workstation and 2003 Server with domain but is not Mapped drives connectivity issues with XP Home Workstation and 2003 Server active on Workstations x Windows XP Home Workstations x Windows Vista Home x Workstation I have mapped drives from Mapped drives connectivity issues with XP Home Workstation and 2003 Server each of the desktops to a folder on the server Every time a PC Workstation is shut off then turned on the mapped drives appear as they were mapped but have disconnected from the server I have to go to each PC and manually reconnect to the server using the username and password I m not sure why these connections are breaking when someone reboots the computer I checked the event log on the server and I m getting an error that might be related Error Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network An unexpected network error occurred Group Policy processing aborted Click to expand nbsp

A:Mapped drives connectivity issues with XP Home Workstation and 2003 Server

Slow or bad dns is my best guess

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mapped-drives-connectivity-issues-with-xp-home-workstation-and-2003-server.886448/
Relevancy 61.06%

Usually I Stored My excel Files in Home Folder where auto mapped folder of Server and My other members can open my files and Updating..
But from few days when i update my excel files, my other members haven't show my updation till now. how can I solve this error.
server restarted too. and in the group other members haven't any Issues with the're files.. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/30692cd5-5f93-493e-9f25-b8c7ae271a81/when-i-update-a-file-itamp39s-not-updating-to-others-in-home-folder-of-server?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,

I have a set of 5 machines - 2 desktops (one being a thin client and the other to function as a 'server' ) and 3 notebooks. I was wondering what was the difference b/w the 2 versions Windows Server 2003 and Windows Small Business Server 2003. Is it true one cannot use a thin client but need a regular cpu setup to use Small Business Server 2003 ?

There is a difference in costs and since i have windows 2000 on the desktops and xp on the notebooks wondered if i needed to shell out so much more $$ for the Windows Server 2003 . I plan to put in a wireless networking system to link all the 5 machines.

Thanks in advance for any and all advise.

S

A:Solved: Difference b/w Windows Server 2003 and Small Business Server 2003

ok i got the answer to this from another source.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-difference-b-w-windows-server-2003-and-small-business-server-2003.286015/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,

I have a set of 5 machines - 2 desktops (one being a thin client and the other to function as a 'server' ) and 3 notebooks. I was wondering what was the difference b/w the 2 versions Windows Server 2003 and Windows Small Business Server 2003. Is it true one cannot use a thin client but need a regular cpu setup to use Small Business Server 2003 ?

There is a difference in costs and since i have windows 2000 on the desktops and xp on the notebooks wondered if i needed to shell out so much more $$ for the Windows Server 2003 . I plan to put in a wireless networking system to link all the 5 machines.

Thanks in advance for any and all advise.

S

A:Solved: Difference b/w Windows Server 2003 and Small Business Server 2003

Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server has the following restrictions:
- Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server.
- Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server must be the root of the Active Directory® forest.
- Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server cannot trust any other domains.
- A Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server domain cannot have any child domains.
- Each additional server must have a Windows Small Business Server 2003 client access license (CAL). You can use CALs for each user or for each device.
The standard edition of Windows Small Business Server 2003 includes Windows Server 2003 technologies, including fax service, firewall service, and remote-access service. Additionally, it includes Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, enhanced tools for server monitoring and administration, and an out-of-the-box solution for internal Web sites. The standard edition is ideal for customers who do not require the higher-level functionality included in the premium edition

The premium edition includes everything in the standard edition, plus Microsoft SQL Server 2000, Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2000, and Microsoft FrontPage® 2003. The premium edition is ideal for small businesses with more demanding IT needs, such as data-intensive line-of-business applications, or advanced firewall and Web-caching capabilities

The standard edition has most of the stuffs inside.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-difference-b-w-windows-server-2003-and-small-business-server-2003.287187/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a small company running on a Windows NT Server I know quot a little quot about using it --create users map amp share drives -- but not much more than that I know there is a way that when any certain user amp scripts/ server logon folder user NT2K home password logs onto the NT2K server logon scripts/ user home folder server the server automatically assigns them a quot home quot drive in quot my documents quot due to a script that is ran The script can be put into any users profile so that they all get a quot user home drive quot in quot my computer quot that no one else is able to get to I need to know the process step by step to create this home user share directory If any one could help me I would try to make it worth their while memory chips hard drive something of importance I think I even have the script made I just need to know where to create the user directory which directory to put the script in ect Thank you very much for helping me Don S nbsp

A:NT2K server logon scripts/ user home folder

We created a drive U: for user files, which is their home path.

Here's a link to Microsoft on Windows Deployment that should help: http://www.microsoft.com/office/project/prk/2000/Three/45t3_8.htm

Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/nt2k-server-logon-scripts-user-home-folder.66414/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,

Is there a program out there that can help me limit the amount of space that a user can put on the server.

Thank You

A:{Advice Offered} - Restrict size of User's home folder on Server

There are a number of products for disk quota management. Here are some: Quota Advisor (WQuinn), Quota Manager (NTP Software), Quota Server (Northern Technologies), SpaceGuard (Tools4NT). Good for limiting the size of home directories. Hope this is of help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-restrict-size-of-users-home-folder-on-server.29013/
Relevancy 59.77%

Starting with the Redstone insider previews, my HP mediasmart home server works for automatic backups, and I can open the server console to manage the server.

But it is impossible to map a folder on the WHS to a drive.; none of the shared folders on the WHS are visible, and the homes server is not visible under network.

Troubleshooting indicates a missing protocol, but has no solution. Solutions suggested in other threads in this forum don't work either. Everything works fine on the no-preview PCs on the network. I am concerned that MS is abandoning the WHS and am worried about future official updates.

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?

A:Windows home server folder mapping fails in Redstone preview

The linked article essentially says that MS abandoned WHS and rolled it into Windows Server 2012 Essentials: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...s-home-server/

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/40649-windows-home-server-folder-mapping-fails-redstone-preview.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello I am having difficulty getting my Configuring media located fax a on network server to home folder digital HP Officejet Pro A configured to save digital faxes to my Iomega TB Home Media Sever cloud edition My home network is setup through a Linksys E Configuring digital fax to network folder located on a home media server I was able to successfully configure it to save Configuring digital fax to network folder located on a home media server to a folder on my PC but I do not want to leave it running I believe the breakdown is in the Authentication part of the setup It asks for the Windows username and password which works fine for the PC setup but not for anywhere else Do I use the UN amp PW for the home media server if I m saving to one of its folders If so how do I correctly type the path It is communicating with the folder and leaving an alphanumeric file saved inside the folder when I use the save and test option but it breaks down from there I ve spent nearly hours on the ph with HP tech support and engineers but they do not have a resolution Does anyone here have a suggestion nbsp

A:Configuring digital fax to network folder located on a home media server

You should investigate how communication goes between HP and your PC, NBT (port 445) or Netbios (139). After investigate how do you communicate with Iomega. Most often those home servers are linux based, what means it can have samba server inside.

How you see folders of this home server? I believe in both ways path should look like \\device_or_PC_ipaddress\sharename in same way you saved now faxes to your PC... same way to show path, only IP address will be different

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/configuring-digital-fax-to-network-folder-located-on-a-home-media-server.1040923/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey guys i have 2 sata hard drives and i need to know how to duel boot windows xp home with windows server 2003?

A:Solved: Dule boot windows 2003 server with windows xp home on 2 SATA hard drives?????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dule-boot-windows-2003-server-with-windows-xp-home-on-2-sata-hard-drives.732903/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Dell 8300 with 1.2G Ram and 30G HD. I want to change the OS from Windows XP Home to Windows Server 2003. I have started the installation and the screen is on the one showing the existing partition and unpartitoned space on the computer:

29322 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

-: Partition1 [FAT] 31 MB < 24 MB free >
C: Partition2 [NTFS] 29298 MB < 24985 MB free >

Should I delete both partitions? I want the hard drive as clean as possible. I plan to try many of the services such as IIS. I will install SQL Server 2000, Visual Studio 2003 .NET. I probably will buy another hard drive (80G or more) as a second drive later on. For now, how should I partition the 30G HD?
Thank you for any suggestion.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-install-windows-server-2003-on-a-computer-with-windows-xp-home.224555/
Relevancy 52.89%

Here s the situation Every week I ghost copies of our servers Two Windows servers and two Windows servers Each server has one Western Digital GB ide hard drive in a hard drive rack and there is one open rack for inserting the backup hard drives I use ghost on floppies each is configured to run the ghost backup automatically When I am ready to ghost I insert the backup drive insert the floppy disk and start the server Ghost loads backups the drive and says ghosting is complete I and Server problem Windows Ghost Norton 2003 (long) 2003 take the main drive out and replace it with the ghosted copy The ghost copies for and boot up fine no Windows 2003 Server and Norton Ghost 2003 problem (long) problems FINALLY TO THE PROBLEM When I remove the Ghost copies and reinsert the main drives the Windows 2003 Server and Norton Ghost 2003 problem (long) servers will not boot but the servers do This doesn t happen every week and sometimes one server will work and the other won t When they don t work the servers post but for some reason don t see the hard drive this is not the ghost copy On one of the servers I have figured out the problem When the server won t read the hard drive I would pull out the drive and reinsert it fixing the problem Recenctly the other server wouldn t boot the main drive after it was ghosted I thought maybe the hard drive bay was bad so I switched the hard drive out with a spare bay Reinserted it in the rack and the server still couldn t find the hard drive during boot If I stick the ghost copy back in it boots up without a hitch Is it possible for ghost to destroy a hard drive like that nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2003-server-and-norton-ghost-2003-problem-long.289436/
Relevancy 52.03%

i am having microsoft windows server for small business server Service Pack iwant to run an application build up with ASP NET amp SQL DATABASE for generating reports we are using crystal reports while running the application i am gettig an error message as File or assembly name CrystalDecisions Web or one of 2003 microsoft small Pack business windows for Service 1 server server its dependencies was not found i tried to copy all the dll files in to the bin folder still the problem is not solved Source Error Line debugging ASP NET files Line -- gt Line lt compilation defaultLanguage quot c quot debug quot true quot gt lt assemblies gt lt add assembly quot CrystalDecisions CrystalReports Engine Version Culture neutral PublicKeyToken fbea e quot gt lt add assembly quot CrystalDecisions ReportSource Version Culture neutral PublicKeyToken fbea e quot gt lt add assembly quot CrystalDecisions Shared Version Culture neutral microsoft windows server 2003 for small business server Service Pack 1 PublicKeyToken fbea e quot gt lt add assembly quot CrystalDecisions Web Version Culture neutral PublicKeyToken fbea e quot gt microsoft windows server 2003 for small business server Service Pack 1 lt assemblies gt lt compilation gt Line Line lt -- CUSTOM ERROR MESSAGES Source File C Inetpub wwwroot HomagIndiaCIS web config Line Assembly Load Trace The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly CrystalDecisions Web could not be loaded Pre-bind state information LOG DisplayName CrystalDecisions Web Version Culture neutral PublicKeyToken fbea e Fully-specified LOG Appbase file C Inetpub wwwroot HomagIndiaCIS LOG Initial PrivatePath bin Calling assembly Unknown LOG Publisher policy file is not found LOG No redirect found in host configuration file C WINDOWS Microsoft NET Framework v aspnet config LOG Using machine configuration file from C WINDOWS Microsoft NET Framework v config machine config LOG Post-policy reference CrystalDecisions Web Version Culture neutral PublicKeyToken fbea e LOG Attempting download of new URL file C WINDOWS Microsoft NET Framework v Temporary ASP NET Files root ed b fca CrystalDecisions Web DLL LOG Attempting download of new URL file C WINDOWS Microsoft NET Framework v Temporary ASP NET Files root ed b fca CrystalDecisions Web CrystalDecisions Web DLL LOG Attempting download of new URL file C Inetpub wwwroot HomagIndiaCIS bin CrystalDecisions Web DLL LOG Attempting download of new URL file C Inetpub wwwroot HomagIndiaCIS bin CrystalDecisions Web CrystalDecisions Web DLL LOG Attempting download of new URL file C WINDOWS Microsoft NET Framework v Temporary ASP NET Files root ed b fca CrystalDecisions Web EXE LOG Attempting download of new URL file C WINDOWS Microsoft NET Framework v Temporary ASP NET Files root ed b fca CrystalDecisions Web CrystalDecisions Web EXE LOG Attempting download of new URL file C Inetpub wwwroot HomagIndiaCIS bin CrystalDecisions Web EXE LOG Attempting download of new URL file C Inetpub wwwroot HomagIndiaCIS bin CrystalDecisions Web CrystalDecisions Web EXE nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-windows-server-2003-for-small-business-server-service-pack-1.498807/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all,

Has anybody come across this error "Calendaring agent failed with error code 0x80150856 while saving appointment.". This appears in application log files in exchange server 2003. Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-outlook-2003-exchange-server-2003.496518/
Relevancy 52.03%

Just bought 2 new Intel S5000VSA server boards, After building both Pcs using the Intel disc that came with board and even the win 2003 setup disc directly I cant seem to install windows server 2003 without receiving a BSOD during setup. All Hardware is compliant with the board. Please Help

A:Cant install Windows Server 2003 on Intel s5000vsa server board

Strip the system down. One memory stick, no USB devices, on-board video and sound, no sound card and try the OS install again. Reset the bios to failsafe defaults

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-install-windows-server-2003-on-intel-s5000vsa-server-board.113843/
Relevancy 52.03%

Can anyone help me with setting up 515E up 2004 Setting ISA Exchange in Server Server 2003 front and of Pix this network layout with my Pix Firewall Network Layout Pix gt DMZ gt ISA Server gt Exchange Server Users Pix outside IP Address Pix inside IP Address DMZ IP Addresss ISA Server outside IP ISA Server inside IP I ve identified the interfaces IP Address and named all plus the following config global outside interface nat inside nat dmz conduit permit icmp any any route outside I can now access the internet from my ISA Server in the DMZ zone I Setting up Pix 515E in front of ISA Server 2004 and Exchange Server 2003 am intending to put the ISA Server out on the DMZ to access the outside world with static dmz outside netmask and then open all traffic to ISA with access-list acl out permit ip any host any access-group acl out in interface outside then I ll give ISA server access to the inside network with access-list acl dmz permit tcp eq access-group acl dmz in interface dmz With the above commands the first access-list acl out was not accepted by pix plus the second access-list acl dmz so if you could please share some light upon my configurations Regards Semisi nbsp

A:Setting up Pix 515E in front of ISA Server 2004 and Exchange Server 2003

Here, I scrapped your config. NAT bad/static bad/conduit bad/access-list bad.

no fixup protocol smtp
nameif int xxx outside security 0
nameif int xxx inside security 100
nameif int xxx dmz security 80
icmp permit any outside echo-reply
icmp permit any outside unreachable
icmp permit any inside
icmp permit any dmz
global (outside) 1 int
nat (inside) 1 172.17.0.0 255.255.0.0 32768 16483
route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 65.77.78.1 1
static (inside,dmz) 172.17.0.0 172.17.0.0 255.255.0.0
static (dmz,outside) 172.18.0.2 65.77.78.48 netmask 255.255.255.255 << Can't have same IP as interface**
access-list internet permit tcp any host 65.77.78.48 eq 80
access-list internet permit tcp any host 65.77.78.48 eq 443
access-list internet permit tcp any host 65.77.78.48 eq 25
access-list internet permit icmp any any eq echo
access-list internet permit icmp any any eq echo-reply
access-list internet permit icmp any any eq unreachable
access-list internet permit icmp any any eq source-quench
access-group internet in interface outside
access-list dmz permit ip host 172.18.0.2 any << *Read note 1
access-group dmz in interface dmz
access-list inside permit ip any any
access-group inside in interface inside

The above config will nat 172.18.0.2 to 65.77.78.48. You can't static NAT an entire IP to the same as a global (your interface). You can only do this if you NAT specific ports.

The above config will allow internet to reach 65.77.78.48 via TCP 80/443/25. I can only assume you're using ISA for EFE server, and maybe proxy. (Not an ISA fan)

The above config allows your ISA server carte-blanche access. In essence, it's a DMZ by name only. Don't fool yourself.

Don't use conduits, they're deprecated.

Don't use a firewall to permit "any" to your ISA server, actually use it to block inbound ports.

Also, your ISA server shouldn't/can't have two NIC's in the same subnet. That's a bad idea on 10 different levels. IF you're using your ISA server (blech) as EFE / reverse proxy for OWA, and outbound proxy - you might as well keep it on the same subnet as your Exchange server (inside, I'm assuming.) Again, 10 different reasons why it's a flawed security plan.

If this is simply an EFE server or reverse proxy, make sure you don't keep the ISA server part of any AD domain, stick it in the DMZ, and restrict what hosts it's allowed to see on the network that you're trying to protect.

Regards.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-pix-515e-in-front-of-isa-server-2004-and-exchange-server-2003.563885/
Relevancy 52.03%

I'm having issues finding the location of en expired certificate that one of my LDAP servers responds with during an LDAPS bind attempt.

I'm using Linux's ldapsearch to perform specific tasks during user creation but recently discovered the certificate expired. I have renewed said certificate and placed it in the personal store on that ldapserver but after debugging the SSL connection it still responds with the previously expired certificate.

Can anyone tell me where this certificate would be stored on Windows Server 2003. I've found multiple post regarding the store in 2008 but that does not exist in 2003. I've searched the whole store using certutil trying to match the serial on this certificate but can't find it anywhere.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

https://hardforum.com/threads/windws-server-2003-ldaps-returning-expired-server-certificate.1911174/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello All,

I want to dual boot XP Pro , 2000 Server and 2003 Server and wanted to check the best order to instal these OS's?

Can anyone help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-booting-xp-pro-2000-server-and-2003-server-instal-order.637431/
Relevancy 52.03%

Currently we are on an NT network with a few 2000 servers tossed in. Today I learned that the plan is to migrate everything to Linux. Lets assume that this only applies to the servers and that the users will still operate with 98/nt/2000/xp. What are your thoughts on this?

I put this in this forum for a reason. Because I'd rather get the advice from 2000 and 2003 experts who know what Linux cannot replace than to hear the Linux fanboys and anti-Microsoft activists praise it to the high heavens.

What would your concerns be if this was done on your network? What problems have you encountered if you'd tried this? Or what successes? Know of any businesses that have done this successfully?

Relevancy 52.03%

I have a print server running standard sp I have been looking for a way to allow helpdesk staff install 2003 Windows SP2 on Standard server print to install & Server Unable remotely 7 driver and manage printers without logging into the server and Windows 7 & 2003 Server Standard SP2 Unable to remotely install driver on print server without adding them to the admin group So I added them to the power users group and the print operators group that worked fine they were able to UNC servername Windows 7 & 2003 Server Standard SP2 Unable to remotely install driver on print server to the server and install printers drivers as well as uninstall drivers printers ect Now the problem this works great from an XP box but when we try it from a windows machine we get access denied More specifically it acts like it is going to install the printer then when it comes to the driver installation part it fails Printer driver was not installed Access is denied No changes have been made to the permissions I can log into an XP machine with my profile and it works fine log out go to a Windows machine use the same credentials and I get the above message access is denied I am an admin of both machines on the windows machine I have UAC turned off completely Running XP Pro SP amp Windows pro both are bit machines I should also add that I have made the necessary group policy changes to allow printer operators to Load Unload device drivers and under the local policies security options I ensured that the Prevent users from installing printer drivers was Disabled Any help would be much appreciated Thanks

A:Windows 7 & 2003 Server Standard SP2 Unable to remotely install driver on print server

How do you enter the credentials on the Windows 7 machine? I've noticed that you have to use "domain\username" rather than just the username in some cases.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/403507/windows-7-2003-server-standard-sp2-unable-to-remotely-install-driver-on-print-server/
Relevancy 51.6%

Cannot access windows updates any admin tools av websites cannot run spybot internet explorer giving security settings warning cannot change any of the settings HJT log file Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Documents and Settings administrator domain WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe tools admin Terminal access 2003 Server Server cannot C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Trend Micro AMSP coreServiceShell exe C Program Files Trend Micro UniClient UiFrmWrk uiWatchDog exe C Program Files Trend Micro AMSP coreFrameworkHost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Trend Micro Client Server Security Agent tmlisten exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system rdpclip exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Broadcom BACS BacsTray exe C Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Trend Micro UniClient UiFrmWrk uiSeAgnt exe Server 2003 Terminal Server cannot access admin tools C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr acrotray exe P Worldox WDA exe C Program Files Microsoft Office OFFICE OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Tabs CMMAIN EXE C Program Files Tabs STMapi exe C Program Files Tabs dropbox exe C Program Files Microsoft Office OFFICE WINWORD EXE C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrobat exe C WINDOWS system WISPTIS EXE C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat plug ins PaperCapture Server Roman Capserve exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system rdpclip exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system mstsc exe C Program Files Microsoft Office OFFICE EXCEL EXE C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system rdpclip exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Broadcom BACS BacsTray exe C Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Trend Micro UniClient UiFrmWrk uiSeAgnt exe C Server 2003 Terminal Server cannot access admin tools Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr acrotray exe C Program Files FileOpen plug ins FileOpenAPI exe C Program Files Microsoft Office OFFICE OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Documents and Settings administrator domain Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http companyweb R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C WINDOWS system blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - Default URLSearchHook is missing F - REG system ini UserInit C WINDOWS system userinit exe O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Trend Micro NSC BHO - CA B-DC D- A - - E FAC - C Program Files Trend Micro AMSP Module TmIEPlg dll O - BHO AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - HKLM Run bacstray C Program Files Broadcom BACS BacsTray exe O - HKLM Run PaperPort PTD C Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exe O - HKLM Run IndexSearch C Program Files Scan... Read more

A:Server 2003 Terminal Server cannot access admin tools

Hello , And to the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Forum. My name is Elise and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.I will be working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you may have with your machine.Please note that whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.The cleaning process is not instant. Logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happen. Please reply using the Add/Reply button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, send me or a moderator a personal message with the address of the thread or feel free to create a new one.You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you can choose email notifications. The topics you are tracking are shown here.-----------------------------------------------------------If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.If you have already posted a log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE-------------------------------------------------------------In the meantime please, do NOT install any new programs or update anything unless told to do so while we are fixing your problemIf you still need help, please include the following in your next replyA detailed description of your problemsA new DDS log (don't forget attach.txt)Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/403995/server-2003-terminal-server-cannot-access-admin-tools/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi All Today Proxy server in on my workplace attacked by some hacker Server running Windows Std Edition Service Pack Attack Details A Server help, Server Attack by need Proxy Unknown Hacker, 2003 account created with administrative privilege and while we checked it s logged on with that account strange thing is it s showing built in account 2003 Server Attack by Unknown Hacker, need help, Proxy Server also a exe file called AutoSQL and it started scanning lot s of Public IP s looks like it broadcasting created account is hackp and on event log it showing following successful logon Code Event Type Success Audit Event Source Security Event Category Logon Logoff Event ID Date Time PM User AFT-PROXY hackp Computer AFT-PROXY Description User initiated logoff User Name hackp Domain AFT-PROXY Logon ID x x b fec After initial shock we did scan with Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer it s showing critical update and important update reqd and most interesting part is when I was installing update via Windows update suddenly hacker take my full desktop control accessing my mouse keyboard and cancel update then open Internet Explorer open a site Service Window AutoSql IP Scan Netstat Code Microsoft Windows Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings hackp gt netstat Active Connections Proto Local Address Foreign Address State TCP asdf asdf ms-sql-s ESTABLISHED TCP asdf asdf ms-sql-s ESTABLISHED TCP asdf asdf ms-sql-s ESTABLISHED TCP asdf asdf ms-sql-s ESTABLISHED TCP asdf asdf ms-sql-s ESTABLISHED TCP asdf asdf ms-sql-s ESTABLISHED TCP asdf asdf ms-sql-s ESTABLISHED TCP asdf ms-sql-s asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf ms-sql-s asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf ms-sql-s asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf ms-sql-s asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf ms-sql-s asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf ms-sql-s asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf ms-sql-s asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf asdf CLOSE WAIT TCP asdf asdf CLOSE WAIT TCP asdf asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf asdf FIN WAIT TCP asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf http ESTABLISHED TCP asdf ESTABLISHED TCP asdf TIME WAIT TCP asdf TIME WAIT C C Documents and Settings hackp gt netstat -n Active Connections Proto Local Address Foreign Address State TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP CLOSE WAIT TCP ESTABLISHED TCP TIME WAIT TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP ESTABLISHED TCP TIME WAIT TCP TIME WAIT TCP TIME WAIT TCP TIME WAIT TCP TIME WAIT TCP ESTABLISHED TCP TIME WAIT TCP TIME WAIT TCP FIN WAIT TCP FIN WAIT C Documents and Settings hackp gt Netstat Code Microsoft Windows Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings hackp gt netstat -nr Route Table Interface List x MS TCP Loopback interface x f Intel R PRO CT Network Connection x f Intel R PRO VE Network Connection Active Routes Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric Default Gateway Persistent Routes Network Address Netmask Gateway Address Metric C Documents and Settings hackp gt We hav PIX in our workplace We hav Trend Micro office scan Using Trend Micro Proxy Server Is there any new vulnerability on server Please help urgent nbsp

A:2003 Server Attack by Unknown Hacker, need help, Proxy Server

For instant Recovery, we re format our servers and change it's password, and fully patched with windows update. still now, no further attack..

Any help would be grate..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2003-server-attack-by-unknown-hacker-need-help-proxy-server.707393/
Relevancy 51.6%

Setup Is Comcast(DNS/ISP/Phone)->D... Computer Connected --> Server(AD/DNS/DHCP/RRAS)F... Server --> Switch --> WIndows Xp And Sever 2003 As Work Station. Problem Is Trying To Install VNC On All Computers Behind The Primary Server 2003. Need To Forward Ports Through Server 2003 to Dlink For Query to Internet: Thanks In Advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-server-2003-port-fowarding-vnc-cleint-behind-server.716194/
Relevancy 51.6%

Every 5 minutes I get this error message popping up under event viewer on a Windows 2003 Small Business Server (all updates etc):

Event ID: 1054

Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (An unexpected network error occurred. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.​
I have done the MS Support site "recommendations", but the Server is pointing to itself for the DNS and the IP address and all that are fine. Not sure why or what is going on here. I can't seem to stop it.

A:Server 2003: (Event Viewer) error every 5 minutes RE: DNS Server

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-2003-event-viewer-error-every-5-minutes-re-dns-server.472922/
Relevancy 51.6%

hi guys!
I just installed Windows 2000 Advance Server recently to a Compaq Proliant ML530 server and found out that the license for this server is more expensive than Windows Server 2003 Standard. The SmartStart CD of the compaq does not support windows server 2003 and I don't want to manually re-configure everything and start all over again. Does Win2K A.S. support Windows Server 2003 upgrade?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-upgrade-win2k-advance-server-to-windows-server-2003-std.390752/
Relevancy 51.6%

Setup Is Comcast(DNS/ISP/Phone)->D... Computer Connected --> Server(AD/DNS/DHCP/RRAS)F... Server --> Switch --> WIndows Xp And Sever 2003 As Work Station. Problem Is Trying To Install VNC On All Computers Behind The Primary Server 2003. Need To Forward Ports Through Server 2003 to Dlink For Query to Internet: Thanks In Advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-server-2003-port-fowarding-vnc-cleint-behind-server.716193/
Relevancy 51.6%

so i have problems with a sbs2003 box. Its slow...fax services are not working properly etc...

the only option i see is to reinstall it.
is there anyway i can migrate accounts,exchange settings,shares ...as much as possible.

how would i go about doing this?

do i have to use some virtual server software...(thats what my friend was telling me)
has anybody got any info or links to accomplishing this...

any info appreciated...

pk

A:migrating server 2003 ..to server 2003

Take a quick look here

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archiv...er-2003-migration-update-943494-released.aspx

You have three options, theres a fourth but thats install from scratch
ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&scoring=d&q=move+to+new+hardware&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Dmicrosoft.public.windows.server.sbs

1. Swing Migration - http://www.sbsmigration.com

2. forklift. Image your installation and restore it to your new hardware. Some information on this method at http://www.smallbizserver.net. Check out google groups also for some info also.

3. Theres a Microsoft tool called Active Directory Migration Tool. For this you'll need to rename your server and you domain http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=16414

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/migrating-server-2003-to-server-2003.738516/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

I have a laser jet printer HP 2015. If i print email recd. with excel embedded cells in Landscape mode from a XP OS / Outlook 2003 / Excel 2003, the contents are fully printed.

But if i print the same email in landscape mode from Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Outlook 2003 / Excel 2003, the contents are not printed in full, i.e the last 3 to 4 columns of excel embedded cells are not printed.

Pl. help.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/landscape-printing-vista-home-outlook-2003-and-excel-2003.954065/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have two domain controllers with different domain names but on the same subnet and with active directory installed. One domain controller is win 2000 and the other is win 2003. The computers are in a workgroup the users don't log on but are connected to the win 2000 box with shares to a program. If I take active directory off the win 2000 box and demote will that affect the computers that are In a workgroup connected to the shares? I want to install all the programs and shares on the new win 2003 box but one computer win not let me log on to the win 2003 box it says no domain available. What can I do to slowly migrate the programs and shares to the new server?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/demoting-a-win-2000-server-with-a-win-2003-server-on-the-same-subnet.136644/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi,

I am not able to connect to OPC server for non admin user in windows server 2003.

I get Runtime error '-536608665(e0040067)':
Failed to connect OPC server.
The system returned the following error message:
Access is denied

But i can connect non admin user to opc server in Windows xp

Is it possible for non admin user to connect OPC server in windows server 2003?

OPC server and client are on same system

Please give me your feedback

Thanks!
Santosh

A:Non Admin not able to connect OPC server in Windows Server 2003

From what I've read on this thread, you'll need to set computer-wide DCOM security permissions. You'll want to peruse that thread.

On another note, this isn't really the best spot for this question. An error message isn't a crash, hang or bsod, and the situation is more relevant to specifically the Windows Server section (even though OPC servers can and often do exist in many client versions of Windows). You'll be able to receive more help there, as it's pertinent to your needs.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/non-admin-not-able-to-connect-opc-server-in-windows-server-2003-a-560614.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Ok so i need to set up windows 2003 server edition as a vpn server so someone can connect to it from home or from his work! Does anyone have any advice i have been trying but nothing seems to allow me to get connected!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-setting-up-a-vpn-server-on-windows-2003-server-edition.130776/
Relevancy 51.17%

We had:

1) 1 Windows Server 2003 running Active Directory services to manage logon and permissions for file sharing.
2) 15 workstations.

We now want to have:

1) 1 Windows Server 2008 R2 server running Active Directory services to manage logon and permissions for file sharing.
2) 15 same workstations, with their same user profiles.

So I joined the 2008 R2 server to the domain, and then used the dcpromo tool to make it a domain controller.

Problem is, whenever I take the old server offline, (the 2003 one) everything flips out, logons are slow, and the 2008 server gives people trying to access shared files weird errors like that the server that authenticated them cannot be contacted, and asks them to log in again with their username and password before accessing shared files on the server.

What did I do wrong? I must be forgetting something.

A:Replacing a Windows 2003 AD DS server with a 2008 R2 AD DS server

1. Transfer all FSMO roles to your 2008 R2 server
2. Uninstall AD on 2003 server
3. You can now permanently take 2003 server offline

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacing-a-windows-2003-ad-ds-server-with-a-2008-r2-ad-ds-server.189290/
Relevancy 51.17%

Is there a good guide or tutorial to show you how to set up a file server with file permissions and access?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seting-up-file-server-permissions-server-2003.294310/
Relevancy 51.17%

What are the steps involved in sharing Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2003 Server resources over a network?

Relevancy 51.17%

I am running Windows Server 2003 with Terminal Services enabled and was wondering if there are any compatibility problems with installing Word 2003. Microsofts website says Windows 2000 with SP3, Windows XP, or later as OS requirements but that is very general.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Relevancy 51.17%

Having issue with email. some emails will be received while other will not. Cannot put or finger on the problem. Has anyone had this problem.

Relevancy 50.31%

We have a Windows 7 Pro laptop that can't see any of the 300 or so Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Machines.

It can, however, see all (around 13) Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 Machines that are on the network. Using \\ServerName\Share doesn't connect, and they don't show up on the network map.

It can ping the servers though. They ping by hostname and by ip address. Other Windows 7 Pro Laptops don't have this same problem!

Additional Info:
They are all joined to the domain; servers, laptaps, etc.

A:Windows 7 Computer can't see Server 2003 Server

My problem is when i join in 2003 domain server i get the msag

"An attempat to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed.
Please verf=ify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names name in
the target domain. for information about network troubleshooting, see windows help "

tell me what i have to do! 10Q

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/146074-windows-7-computer-cant-see-server-2003-server.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Not sure if this is the correct forum. In the past I could use SCOPY to move users files from a File server (NT4 server) to a Windows 2000 server. From what I understand SCOPY does not work properly with 2003. Does Server 2003 have a similar utility to pring in files and retain security permissions ?

Relevancy 50.31%

I have a client who has an existing Server 2000 domain. He is running two Windows 2000 servers in his domain. What he's looking to do is to replace the master domain controller,(the server which was first brought up and hence contains the master copy of the domain database).

I believe that since this is going to be a completely new server and running Server 2003 standard edtiion I believe, that I'll need to first take everyone out of the domain, demote the second domain controller to a stand-alone and then demote the master domain controller which effectively dissolves the domain. Then after bringing the brand new server up, recreate the domain and then the secondary domain controller and join everyone back into domain (new SID but same domain name).

Does this sound correct-could anyone confirm whether this is correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

fast586

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-2000-server-2003-domains.554141/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have 2 servers; windows 2000 & windows 2008, I can always access them via XP but my system 7 home can't authenticate. It appears to add the domain name as a preamble my user name in the authentication....does this make sense?

thank
-Jeff

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unable-to-logon-to-server-2000-or-server-2008-from-windows-7-home-469638.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi Folks folder Encrypted cannot a folder, - reinstalled, Win2000 now Server decrypt here is the situation - Running Windows SR I recently had to reinstall Windows to a new partition after some recent OS problems The problem now is that I formerly had a directory which I decided to encrypt using Win s new encryption technology From what I understand is that the key used to encrypt the folder Win2000 Server - Encrypted a folder, reinstalled, now cannot decrypt folder is based off my old SID Now that I have reinstalled Win2000 Server - Encrypted a folder, reinstalled, now cannot decrypt folder I am unable to view or delete any of the contents in that folder even with Local Admin access and full ownership I ve checked MS kbase and the only recourse would have been if I have used the backup tool to backup the key Regardless to say I have no backups Now it would be nice if i could recover those encrypted files however I would be happy at this time if I could simply delete the whole folder I can view the filenames of the files but am unable to view delete the files Any suggestions BTW the original WinNT directory has also been deleted nbsp

A:Win2000 Server - Encrypted a folder, reinstalled, now cannot decrypt folder

did you ever find any resolution to this issue? I have a sorta/kinda similar situation where Active Directory became corrupt and SID's got cross-linked. Long story short I have the old SID and need to know how to apply it to a new user object in Active Directory. I've searched everywhere without luck on this one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2000-server-encrypted-a-folder-reinstalled-now-cannot-decrypt-folder.44860/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello and sorry if the title isnt the best I wasnt really sure how to word it I m afraid Having used search for the last couple of hours and seen many threads its clear I m in the right place You all have a lovely forum I m looking for a solution to a rather annoying problem in our household We have upwards of - computers laptops in our house and documents media are fast becoming a nightmare We ve decided to go along the route of purchasing building a server to basically use as a fileserver to centralise our documents media and thus enable access to either user account from any one particular computer we have Below is what I m looking to be able to do Fileserver Advice use specs regarding home for server recommended help server and mainly comprising of centralised documents on the server itself accessable by each person individually but private from others Central backup of all crucial computers to prevent data Advice and help regarding recommended server specs for home server use loss stored on the server and done by the server on a regular basis A dedicated server firewall to place in front of the internet before the network A web server so I can run image copies of my own personal forum websites and test any changes BEFORE doing them to my live site To download torrents large files etc directly on the server Like an automated nightly backup of my web hosting server online for example Stream full HD from the server to our media centre pc and onto a HD TV I was thinking along the lines of using older seperate servers the first being the firewall server The nd being a fileserver backup server and the rd being a intranet only web server to test new software etc on I plan to wire the entire house with cat cable and run everything at gigabit speed all computers have gigabit capable hardware already I have been reading online for weeks now but unfortunately the answers I seem to need aren t explained in posts I ve been reading The servers whether built or bought will run Ubuntu Server and we have a mixture of Ubuntu Vista W MAC OSX operating systems Shortly it will be only Ubuntu MAC OSX and no Windows at all Basically what I need to know is Can a fileserver backup solution firewall web server be all run from the one server acceptably Am I wiser to split these up into seperate servers for security reasons If I seperate them as above can I just get away with using old servers say with twin xeon or Opteron - ghz CPU s with - GB RAM I have a now spare Dell Vostro desktop PC with a Intel Q Quad core GB non ECC RAM and TB of storage x TB as I now use an Imac I recently purchased Would this be stupidly overkill for use as a server above I would be sincerely grateful if someone could be kind enough to explain about the required specs should my idea be well off I don t want to spend thousands but I don t want to waste money on something thats useless either I plan to purchase a rackmount cupboard to house these into along with the gigabit switches so rackmounted servers would be an advtange I can put my pc into a rackmount U case if needed Any advice is welcome If you need more explain please do get in touch Thank you for your time Lee EDIT Not sure if it needs mentioning or not but we use a Virgin Media mb broadband connection so whatever solution needs to be able to utilise this speed fully nbsp

A:Advice and help regarding recommended server specs for home server use

Do you have this network in place already?

This is mine below done with Cisco Virtual Network Design Tool.
For web server I use IIS 7.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-and-help-regarding-recommended-server-specs-for-home-server-use.147198/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello I created the following performance counter using logman exe nbsp logman exe counters incorrectly Server Windows correctly creates performance on 2003 but Server Windows Logman 2008/2012 on create counter US Triton Perf Log -b -e -r -s server -si frequence -cf folder server txt -f logtype nbsp -o C local logs Perfout Server --a -v mmddhhmm nbsp -rf nbsp max Logman creates performance counters on Windows Server 2008/2012 correctly but incorrectly on Windows Server 2003 duration When I do this across multiple servers specifically for Windows Servers the counter is created to repeat and run everyday at PM and stops running everyday at PM This works perfectly fine as intended However When I do this for a Windows server my created counter is very different For example in this case I have set to the counters to start at AM and end at PM because I have set a maximum duration of hours the job terminates and begins on the next day since Logman creates performance counters on Windows Server 2008/2012 correctly but incorrectly on Windows Server 2003 I have the repeat option on However this does not apply to our server logman creates the job to run once a week in this case it would be on a Wednesday In addiiton I noticed that the job doesn't not even start at it's indented time It actually does not start at all I also notice that the jobs on all windows servers are created in a pending status which then prevents me from removing Logman creates performance counters on Windows Server 2008/2012 correctly but incorrectly on Windows Server 2003 the counter remotely nbsp I would like to know if windows is capable of working like my win servers using logman and if historically the job has to be kicked off through scheduled task nbsp Both Jobs are using the same criteria but are created differently The top photo was created on a windows server and the bottom photo was created on windows server Am I missing something here FYI I have a script to automate across servers so when I deployed this it turned out about servers were actually running as intended and a whole bunch of them were in pending status and all stopped nbsp I appreciate any response on this issue

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c8377c80-cabf-41ca-bd0b-8132c4e19269/logman-creates-performance-counters-on-windows-server-20082012-correctly-but-incorrectly-on-windows?forum=perfmon
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello all I m not sure if this is an operating system question or more of a software development question Anyway I have a legacy COM service a COM server 2003 Server execution Windows - connecting when on service DCOM "Server failed" that runs as a windows service that was written for Windows NT I have managed to use the service on both Windows and Windows XP unchanged However I now wish to run the service on a Windows Server machine and I can t seem to DCOM service on Windows Server 2003 - "Server execution failed" when connecting get it to work This is what happens - Install the service and set it to log on using a domain account Start the service from the services msc applet Start the client application and connect to the service At this stagte the client applicaiton freezes for approximately seconds and DCOM service on Windows Server 2003 - "Server execution failed" when connecting then returns with the error message quot Server execution failed quot I ve also tried using the client whilst the service is stopped In this case when I connect the service is started but I get the same error The development team also provided a standalone application that hosts the exact same COM objects mainly for debugging purposes If I use the standalone application everything works fine Its all very strange Does anyone have any idea what the cause might be And preferably a solution Thanks Kep nbsp

A:DCOM service on Windows Server 2003 - "Server execution failed" when connecting

I found the answer.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroup...-DC48AB0DA5C9&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

The above discussion says that a service must enter a running state before a COM server calls CoRergisterClassObject. So I guess its a development problem.

Not sure why it only manifests on Windows Server 2003 though.

Kep.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dcom-service-on-windows-server-2003-server-execution-failed-when-connecting.695005/
Relevancy 48.59%

I am trying to setup my own VPN I have installed Server on my server machine The server server Windows as VPN Server 2003 machine is connected to my Netgear router which connects to the internet I have setup the VPN service and can connect localy using an advanced connection setup in windows XP on my client machine Also on my network is a fileserver running windows vista soon xp or server the server has over gb of storage mostly full t hat i want to share over my VPN This is also onnected to the Windows Server 2003 as VPN server netgear router My problem is with sharing these files How do i set the drives on my file server as standard shares for all VPN connected users I can access them local over the lan but not sure how to share for users dialing into the VPN any step by step tutorials links would be welcomed or if anyone can help me it would be brilliant or if somone can get on msn with me and walk me through what im doing wrong that would be awsome too Thanks alot nbsp

A:Windows Server 2003 as VPN server

Information for how to configure a Windows2003 VPN server can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/w3k_vpn_server.htm

You don't need to make any changes or additions to shares in regards to VPN client's being able to access previous shares on the server. Whatever you have assigned for the LAN access can work for VPN.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-server-2003-as-vpn-server.603026/
Relevancy 48.59%

can anybody tell me about the differences/similarities between these two OS features and a way its work.

A:win server 2000 vs server 2003

Look on MS's site. All the info you need is there.EEOC

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/win-server-2000-vs-server-2003/65683.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm sorry to bother you guys but I'd really appreciate some additional info on the following. What is the difference between Windows NT 4.0, Server 2000 and Server 2003?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/nt4-server-2000-server-2003.292301/
Relevancy 48.59%

hi, on my other computer i am trying to reformat the drive and install windows server 2003 however when i type in format c: i am told the volume is in use and i am unable to lock it, so i really dont know what to do? any help would be great ta

A:2000 Server -> 2003 Server

For stubborn drives I use delpart.exe . Just copy the .exe to a boot disk.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2000-server-2003-server.377511/
Relevancy 48.59%

Does anyone recommend a certain brand of server and a place to buy? I am thinking server 2003 running on a Proliant with a Xeon processor but I am not sure how much power I need. I will be running five database off of one server with 40 workstations local and five connecting via terminal services. will I need dual processor? I am thinking I will need at least 400 GB of hard drive space and at least 1gb of ram maybe more. What do you guys think.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-needed-to-run-server-2003.409949/
Relevancy 48.16%

Ok so my original computer was a Windows Home Premium and that's the PC I used to work I had REMOTE DESKTOP on it it to need Home connect on Windows to I home job's server from 7 Prem my worked fine and yes it was a Windows Home Premium but yesterday my I need to connect to my job's server from home on Windows 7 Home Prem original pc got fried and smoke came out of it so I am afraid to turn it on I am now using my back pc it I need to connect to my job's server from home on Windows 7 Home Prem is also a windows home premium build and I remember I use to have remote desktop on it but I right clicked disabled one day a long time ago and after that I was never ever able to get it back Ive been reading online that Windows home premium does not have the remote desktop option odd because my other pc had it Point is I need to connect to my job's server asaaap but I am unable to find a way to connect to I need to connect to my job's server from home on Windows 7 Home Prem their server I have their ip address and a special login pass the same way you do in windows remote desktop I have tried downloading those rdp patches and stuff and it just does not work I cannot find the remote desktop anywhere even have the install said quot listening quot and quot remote desktop successfully quot etc etc Is there a program I can use to connect to my work's server my boss uses windows remote desktop I tried using teamviewer and added the ip address but it doesnt work idk if you have to both be using the same program please in need of help here

A:I need to connect to my job's server from home on Windows 7 Home Prem

My last option is to upgrade to windows 7 pro and pay the $80 above for it JUST to get remote desktop
I'm trying everything possible though before that.. but I really need this to work in order to start my job

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/354323-i-need-connect-my-jobs-server-home-windows-7-home-prem.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello all Due to horrible noise from my desktop computer cannot put the case on because of an attached hard drive enclosure which has to connect home for server file home Create computers! to power adapters i ve decided to designate this Create home file server for home computers! desktop computer with its attached hard drives to become Create home file server for home computers! my home file server This home file server will be moved downstairs into the storage room so I won t have to hear it and I would like to use it wirelessly attach a usb wireless adapter This one runs Windows XP SP Here s my setup questions that I need advice info on the main points are home computer access ability amp restrictions setup email stored on network drive and backup solutions Once I set the computer downstairs and have it connected to my wireless router how do I get all my other computers to recognize it amp be able to read it see list of computers and OSs below Can I have all computers OSs have full write access to the home file server ONLY if the correct password is supplied Similarily can I DENY even read-only access to certain users or due to lack of password pr n not to be shared with all a at the same time can all users atleast have access to read-only access to certain directories ie music directory available to all in house Can the above be done with my computers if the home file server remains as Windows XP SP a and can above be accessed by my other computers to read write that are on different operating systems like Ubuntu and Windows Vista My main computer I will use is my laptop which has a dual boot of ubuntu and windows vista i want to be able to be free to roam in my house and access files freely on the home server no problem right a With this laptop can I have e-mail stored on home file server ie install thunderbird email application and have all the archive amp live email files stored on network drive on home file server also on the hard drives of the home file server how should i back things up there are gb hard drives and one gb hard drive with music videos and everything i ll have nearly full gb taken up right now all i ve done is a simple copy of one drive to another is there a better easy to setup way for a backup solution if it can be done how do i do it if the above cannot be done and if i should change Operating systems on the home file server what do i change and how do I do it Computer identification computer -home file server windows xp sp has bay hard drive enclosure attached therefore cannot close tower case computer -main laptop windows vista amp ubuntu linux computer -roommates desktop windows xp sp thank you in advance any advice would be appreciated nbsp

A:Create home file server for home computers!

ineedacookie said:

Hello all!

Due to horrible noise from my desktop computer (cannot put the case on because of an attached hard drive enclosure which has to connect to power adapters), i've decided to designate this desktop computer with its attached hard drives to become my home file server!

I can't fathom why you can't put the computer's case on.

This home file server will be moved downstairs into the storage room so I won't have to hear it and I would like to use it wirelessly (attach a usb wireless adapter). This one runs Windows XP SP 3.

Having your server connected wirelessly is a lousy idea performance wise. Moving on...

Here's my setup questions that I need advice/info on (the main points are home computer access ability & restrictions, setup email stored on network drive, and backup solutions):

1) Once I set the computer downstairs and have it connected to my wireless router...how do I get all my other computers to recognize it, & be able to read it? (see list of computers and OSs below)

You can map it as a network drive on each computer. (Use SAMBA on Linux.)
2) Can I have all computers/OSs have full write access to the home file server ONLY if the correct password is supplied?

3) Similarily, can I DENY even read-only access to certain users or due to lack of password?
3a) at the same time can all users atleast have access to read-only access to certain directories (ie music directory available to all in house)?

Yes, but the extent depends on the version of Windows running on those PCs (you don't specify home/pro or the plethora of Vista versions)
4) Can the above be done with my computers if the home file server remains as Windows XP SP3?
4a) ...and can above be accessed by my other computers to read/write that are on different operating systems like Ubuntu and Windows Vista?

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would switch to a server OS. Ubuntu Server is fine.
5) My main computer I will use is my laptop which has a dual boot of ubuntu and windows vista. i want to be able to be free to roam in my house and access files freely on the home server. no problem, right?
5a) With this laptop can I have e-mail stored on home file server (ie install thunderbird email application and have all the archive & live email files stored on network drive on home file server)?

Should be fine.
6) also on the hard drives of the home file server, how should i back things up? there are 3 500gb hard drives, and one 40gb hard drive. with music, videos and everything i'll have nearly full 450gb taken up. right now all i've done is a simple copy of one drive to another. is there a better, easy to setup way for a backup solution?

6) if it can be done, how do i do it?

Well, outside of automating it, it sounds fine. Make sure to have at least 2 backups of important stuff. CD/DVDs are good too for the monthly backups.

7) if the above cannot be done and if i should change Operating systems on the home file server, what do i change and how do I do it?

I'd suggest a server OS. Again, Ubuntu is fine.
However, in all seriousness, you'd probably be better off with a NAS. The D-Link DNS 321 would be perfect for you. Plus, it uses a heck of a lot less power.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/create-home-file-server-for-home-computers.791909/
Relevancy 48.16%

I'm trying to decide between Windows Home Server and Windows Server 2008 R2 for my home server PC. Ordinarily it would be a clear cut choice, but I've got a free copy of Server 2008 R2 through my academic MSDN subscription. I'd like to avoid spending extra money if Server 2008 R2 would do the job. But I'm willing to buy Home Server should it prove necesary. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

A:Windows home server vs Server 2008 R2

Server 2008 R2 is a more fully functional product. You will be able to do similar things, but it might be a little more involved getting it set up and working. Plus, if you are interested in IT, you could use the Server 2008 R2 experience....but you won't get hired for your knowledge on Windows Home Server.

My vote is Server 2008 R2 without a doubt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/159610-windows-home-server-vs-server-2008-r2.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hope this is the right place to post this

Just set up server 2008 r2 on a older box I had that I was using for a few things. Tried Linux but became tThanks of a pain for such simple tasks. Here is what I'm using it for.

Csgo server
Mumble server
File/backup
Media server?

My main concern was for media server to stream to few devices in the house. I was thinking plex. Does anyone have any other ways I can go about it.

Thankd

A:Server 2008 for home server... Opinions please.

Not sure what opinions you want. All I can say is that you don't need server 2008 R2 to complete your desired tasks. Any basic Windows client OS should work.

EDIT: It should be noted that Windows Server OS's are enterprise standards therefore a lot of home license applications will not install unless it is open source. You will need to purchase enterprise licenses of software for them to be installed on the server. This is particularly important with Anti-Virus solutions.

Josh

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/303452-server-2008-home-server-opinions-please.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi I have an old ACER EasyStore H which figured out it v1 - Home restore Windows of Server Server should crash on me the other day In the unit I have HD's for OS and for DATA I have done restore not factory reset on the unit earlier and that has been successfull However I never had the amount of data on it as I do now So in a mildly panicked state I need to restore Windows Home Server v1 - restore of Server again I started with that yesterday and restore seems to be OK but when the WHS v connector software shows after restore it's just hanging and do not Windows Home Server v1 - restore of Server continue the installation so I can set a password on the unit So my questions are Would the connector software struggle due to my Windows Technical Preview version Does it make sense to remove data disks restore and put in data disk when done If possible for WHS to reckongnize the data drives afterwards Am I screwed tl dr - Server recovery WHSv doesnt complete and hangs when Connector software is about to be installed on Client computer Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/55556-windows-home-server-v1-restore-server.html
Relevancy 47.73%

i have the server with windows SP and i executed replication active directory domain controller on the new server as i have two servers all with computer in the client server 2003 problem network client/server windows expect one client computer work ok onthe problematically computer is with the windows me problem is when i shut down old server the computer with win me drop out from domain and he don t see new server when i power on old server the client computer work ok i deinstalled the win me on this computer and i installed to him win xp pro but problem is same this computer don t see new server and he don t see others client computers in network problem with client computer in the client/server network windows server 2003 what i do i tryed to make new user account but nothing i can t because of this computer don t see new server on client computer light green indicator on network adapter Realtek d all the time i use commands ping with the ip address of server with the name of server nothing ipconfig release ipconfig renew ipconfig flushdns ipconfig registerdns ip address of old server is and new server maybe problem is when i type ipconfig in dosprompt on new server i receive DNS server and DHCP plz help me thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-client-computer-in-the-client-server-network-windows-server-2003.617978/
Relevancy 47.73%

Integrate Microsoft Project 2003 in Microsoft SharePoint 2003 Server ???

Hi!

Know someone if an integration of Microsoft Project 2003 is
possible in Microsoft SharePoint 2003 Server ???
regards,
gicio

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/integrate-microsoft-project-2003-in-microsoft-sharepoint-2003-server.212535/
Relevancy 47.73%

This is a strange situation, and it seems to be affecting XP SP2 machines. A person can go along for days, weeks, or more, but every once in a while they will lose the mapping to their "H:\home\username" home folder, and will wind up with "H:\Home" and they can see everyones home folder. A reboot usually corrects it.

They cannot see in any folder but th eir own, but with several hundred folders for Faculty and staff, and 20,000 folders for the student home folders, it can be a pain.

I built this AD four years ago, and it has worked satisfactory, until this started a couple of months ago. Nothing was done to the Domain, but the techs have been upgrading the computers to Win XP.

I don't think it's the Domain, but I think it [email protected] to do with the workstations.

Anyone have any ideas?

A:Losing Home folder mappings, and seeing all home folders

I assume you guys have a log in script that establishes the the H: drive directories?

We use a similar setup with out AD and network drives for our users. As you said at times they for no reason drop to the root of the mapped directory...

Past experience (at least here) because it seems to be an infrequent issue at our company (which employee's a couple thousand people and have a mixture 2k and XP OS's) has just told them to reboot thier PC when it occurs. The other option to make sure that the CPU comes back up properly is to have them disconnect the drive and reboot allowing the script to establish a new connection to the directory, this seems to work pretty well aswell.

How are you migrating that machines to XP? (upgrade or User Migration Tool with a complete new image of XP?)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/losing-home-folder-mappings-and-seeing-all-home-folders.417327/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on the forum... hope not breaking any rule yet!
I'm running vista and I've partitioned my HDD into system and data drives, leaving C: for programs and d: for documents. I've already redirected some of the folder links on my home folder to its new location in D: (so D:\Docs, D:\Downloads, etc), but I don't know how to edit the list of links listed under my home folder.

I mean that I've installed GIMP, so under my [user] folder I have the .gimp-2.6 that I don't want to have it listed, although I know it is kept on C:\Users\[UserName]. I also want to add some links to other folders that they are not listed there.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Patxi

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/258896-folder-links-list-under-home-folder.html
Relevancy 46.44%

At home a friend has a server w/Server 2000 and an xp pro sp2 computer that work fine together. She has a laptop w/XP Home sp2 that wont connect.

Is it a limitation of XP Home to not work with Microsoft Server 2000 ?

What effect and/or use is VNC Server software. Its on the server, does the laptop need THAT to get connected to the server? (If thats the case, could anyone point me to a crash course web site on it ?..)

Thank you all very much in advance...

dave

A:VNC Server ? // XP Home w/Server 2000 ?

Yep, XP-Home will not connect to a domain server. You can connect directly to shared folders/drives in that server, you just can't do a domain login.

VNC is a remote control package, it has nothing to do with standard Microsoft networking.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vnc-server-xp-home-w-server-2000.580948/
Relevancy 46.44%

Just want to share my music, videos, and documents around the home network.

Been using W7, and seems to work well enough.

I am not planning to upgrade the hardware, so while I am at it, is there any advantage of moving to a Windows Server setup?

A:Home File Server (W7 vs W Server)

Good ones:
- More stability
- Less prone to software problems

Bad ones:
- Will require more knowledge from the owner.
- Will require setup (accounts, shares, passwords etc)
- Pricey

https://hardforum.com/threads/home-file-server-w7-vs-w-server.1902199/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi, Can any1 help me i have did upgrade Windows 2000 Ent. Server (SP4) to Windows 2003 Ent. Server, but after rebooting the machine all of sudden BLUE screen appears with mentioning below error though OS working in safe mode. Please help me out to resolve the issue ASAP.
Driver_IRQL_NOT LESS OR EQUAL

Then at the end it says
Beginning dump of physical memory

HYDIS.sys address 7505AF5 base at F74E9000
Stop: 0x000000D1 (0xf3bbf000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF7505AF5)

Physical memory dumb.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group
BR,

Sharjeel

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/os-upgrade-windows-2000-ent-server-to-windows-2003-ent-server.625977/
Relevancy 45.15%

I am installing Windows server 2003 while copying the files, I got a message that windows could not copy the files wmploc.dll and wmpshell.dll are these files important and will they affect the way my server runs?

This is a project for school, any help or info at all would be GREAT!! thx...

A:Server 2003

deeger said:

I am installing Windows server 2003 while copying the files, I got a message that windows could not copy the files wmploc.dll and wmpshell.dll are these files important and will they affect the way my server runs?

This is a project for school, any help or info at all would be GREAT!! thx...Click to expand...
Those files are windows media player files. If you need them you can get them from your windows disk or online there is a site called ddldump.com that has a large collection of this type of files. They won't affect the way your server runs, just windows media player...doc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-2003.352852/
Relevancy 45.15%

I need help setting up a security level for oa server that runs windows 2003 R2. Here is the scenario.

In the company where I work we all access our server via telnet. However, we have an outside company that does our collections and they need access to our server, via remote terminal or telnet which they have. But We just found out that an employee has been accessing our system on weeekends and I need to know how to setup the system so that when an outsider wants to access it ask for a login and Password. This way only assigned users will have access to our system. But the way the system is now, anyone with the right ip address can access our system via telnet.
Any help pleaseeeeeeeeeee

Thank you very much

Jaime

Relevancy 45.15%

I have 10 users on XP connecting to a 2003 server. One machine hangs for about 3-4 minutes at the "applying computer settings". In the servers active directory I compared the user and computer properties with the other pcs couldn't find anythind!!

What could be happening???

A:XP sp3 > Server 2003 sp2

You should post this in the Networking Support Section here

One of the few things I know about a PC taking long to log in to a domain is that it is usually a DNS problem.
So if it has not been done already make sure your Primary DNS on the PC is set to your Server 2003's IP address (ie Primary Domain Server's IP Address).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-sp3-server-2003-sp2-505564.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I want to setup a computer so only I can log into it. How do I accomplish this? It is Server 2003 and it is on a domain.

A:Server 2003

why dont you reload it with XP/2000/vista.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-2003.676887/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi, I am running at my work a Windows 2003 Server and cannot seem to get the Mac OS X to be able to connect to it, most specifically to the File System of the server. Does anyone know any good websites, or have had problems setting it up. I have been through a lot of sites, tried a lot of things, but cannot get it to connect properly.

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-2003-server-mac-os-x.358817/
Relevancy 45.15%

How do you enable sound to hear speakers on this OS, please? Did this -- Alternatively, you can double-click the Sounds and Audio Devices applet in Control Panel, and select e Enable Windows Audio check-box.

And under services it is in automatic mode not disabled.

thx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-2003.780662/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi
I have win xppro sp2 laptop, and win 2003 server sp2. I have installed IIS on both, and can access my local sites on laptop from my server. But I cannot access server sites from my laptop. I cannot ping server from laptop - it gives me error: request timed out.
On my laptop I have zonealarm security suite and my server has pctools firewall plus v 3.
The file sharing works perfectly, I can view the network on both machines in windows explorer, and access files from both pcs.
It is the http:// from laptop to server that is not working.
Thanks

Relevancy 45.15%

sorry i didnt see a forum for server 2003.

the question is : you have enabled auditing of CA events so you can monitor certificate issuances. where would you you look to see the information that is generated by the auditing?
a. the certificate services log in event viewer
b. the auditing log in event viewer
c. the system log in event viewer
d. the security log in event viewer

A:server 2003

Security?...I don't know if this will help
http://searchsecuritychannel.techta...ebaseAnswer/0,289625,sid97_gci1243666,00.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-2003.659033/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi there, I need help. In my company I have a server that runs uner windows server 2003. the funny thing is that out of no where the mouse starts to move and some of the icons get highlited and like someone would of be messing around with the server. My question is, what or how can I monitor this server to make sure is protected? I have installed AVG interner security 9.0 and scans the system every day and I know is free of viruses. Any help or input will be appreciate it.,

thanks

Jaime

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-2003.981376/
Relevancy 45.15%

i have an imac running vmware in an office that needs to connect to our server using 2003, but i cant make it see the shared drive, or seemingly connect at all.
how do i go about this? i have tried the network wizards but they are no help
thanks

A:Server 2003 help

Are you trying to connect the iMac to the server, or whatever box you have running in VMware?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-2003-help.973987/
Relevancy 45.15%

I am not knowledgeable enough to know can I use 2003 to replace XP Pro.I have DL a trial copy from M$. Also if I get a key from another source will the program remain functional after I put in the key.I think u know my meaning regarding a key.Thanks,Dannir

Relevancy 45.15%

One of my clients has filled their raid array (5 x 36gb) on a Windows 2003 server. They are in the process of archiving old data off. They would like to have that data online. What would be better - hooking up a NAS or attaching a USB external Hard drive? Are there any limitations of attaching a USB external hard drive? thx

A:NAS or ext USB HD on 2003 Server?

Personally, I like NAS but use both solutions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/nas-or-ext-usb-hd-on-2003-server.583529/
Relevancy 45.15%

Can someone give me a list of services that come with IIS and the state they are in for server 2003 please. Maybe a snapshot. I would greatly appreciate it.

tia

Relevancy 45.15%

I couldn t find a forum on Windows Server but since Win 2003 6.0 IIS and Server IIS can be run in XP thought I d try IIS 6.0 and Win Server 2003 this forum I need to setup an ftp site for my business and IIS 6.0 and Win Server 2003 am having troubles doing so I have IIS installed on Windows Server Standard Edition For the time being I just created a bunch of individual FTP Sites on different ports stupid yes I know for each user The way the business is set up certain users need access to all folders within the root other users need access to first level sub-folders within the root and other users need access to second level sub-folders within the root I want to combine all my single FTP Sites into FTP Site so that only port is open and whoever logs into my FTP site uses the same port as everyone else safer for the server The problem comes with Permissions because I need to block the second level sub-folder users from the root directory I tried Isolating users with without the Active Directory setting but from what I ve read on the internet that seems to be more for local computers like actual employees within the company and have scripts running when they logon to their computer Well I have clients that don t logon to my computers they just need to download and view files from my server Anyone have any ideas at all on how I should go about this nbsp

A:IIS 6.0 and Win Server 2003

FTP users should have the same access rights as far as files and folders as long as you are using Windows authentication for their FTP sessions. You could also set up a group in AD just for FTP users and assign access that way to the FTP root and sub-directories.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/iis-6-0-and-win-server-2003.426738/
Relevancy 45.15%

Does server 2003 run like a normal operating system or does it require a network to run? i just wanna try it out... dont ask.

does it have programs and stuff, like xp?

thanks