Windows Support Forum

User Registry Leaks - Problem on User Accounts

Q: User Registry Leaks - Problem on User Accounts

I am using Vista Home Premium Registry - User on Leaks User Problem Accounts -bit and I am having problem logging in using my user account An error flagged quot The User Profile Service service failed the logon User Account Profile cannot be loaded quot The Event Viewer window has these details Windows detected your registry file is still in use by User Registry Leaks - Problem on User Accounts other applications or services The file will be unloaded now The applications or services that hold your User Registry Leaks - Problem on User Accounts registry file may not function properly afterwards DETAIL - user registry handles leaked from Registry User S- - - - - - - Classes Process Device HarddiskVolume Windows System svchost exe has opened key REGISTRY USER S- - - - - - - CLASSES I was able to logged in through Safe Mode but still an error flagged in status bar that the profile was not properly loaded Although I was able to copy all data from that user account to a new account can I still troubleshoot the problem and be able to log in using the old user account I have all my shortcuts and archives there and quot every customized thing quot Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: User Registry Leaks - Problem on User Accounts

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: User Registry Leaks - Problem on User Accounts

Hi aice and welcome to Vista Forums

Have you checked the information in the following Tutorial?

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/223345-user-registry-leaks-problem-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi! I did an new install of windows 7 (home first then upgraded to pro)
I want to hide a user by doing this on the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon \SpecialAccounts\ UserList ..then add dword32 by my username value to 0
I did this on my old laptop and it worked perfectly.

Now I've done the same thing on my new laptop. It works but stangely, the folder still appears in c\users.

The user is not visible in the panel control\users or at the start of the PC

I'm sure i've done the right thing, what is causing this? Could it be a bad install of windows? Please let me know if you have a idea!

Thank you very much for your help!

A:Hide user by registry stange problem: User still appears in C folder

If you log into that user it is going to have a user directory, regardless if you have the user hidden or not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/339572-hide-user-registry-stange-problem-user-still-appears-c-folder.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Question: if I was to add a user account, like "Gamer Profile" and I do some tweaks in the registry. Does this effect the whole computer? Or just this profile?
In other words, I want to tweak my comp so that when I game, I use the best performance possible. And when I just do other comp work, surf the web, I use the standard settings. If it don't work the way I want it, I just delete that profile, I also delete those tweaks?

A:user accounts/registry tweaks

I'm no registry expert, but my understanding is that some registry entries are account specific, whereas others will affect all accounts. So it really depends on which entries you're talking about.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/199457/user-accountsregistry-tweaks/
Relevancy 95.03%

I played with the Registry, giving my user name the ability to do all, was having problems with installing a program...

Well, everything was working find and normal until I logged off...

When I logged off there were no longer any User Accounts to logon to.

Windows boots normally and gets to the User screen, but there are no users, buttons, or anything.

All controls become obsolete, and system must be reset.

I can boot to CD and get into the C:\Windows

Is there a way to fix this without loosing the stuff on the Harddrive?

Or is it allready too late?

Please save me the humility and attempt to help me, I know I screwed up...

Relevancy 95.03%

CANT FIND THE DEL BUTTON,,, 

NOT RIGHT PLACE FOR MY WRIGTING,,,:-)

A:1 account, 2 user names, but only 1 user = Big Registry Problem

What is exactly the meaning of this topic? Is it a queestion or a discussion?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563705/1-account-2-user-names-but-only-1-user-big-registry-problem/
Relevancy 92.02%

I was diagnosed with the Poweliks virus this past November and, while my computer is functional, I am nearly certain the viruses/malware were not completely removed by my neighborhood computer expert when I brought it to him for service. 

Over the last week I've used many of the popular tools; to name a few: sfc, TDSSKiller, Kapersky VRT, Gmer, Malwarebytes Premium, AVAST, ESET, RogueKiller, Hijack This, and AdwCleaner.  Some found issues and others didn't.  What concerns me most is that ComboFix (sorry, I know you advise laymen not  use it) found eight locked registry keys and there are unknown user accounts.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.  Thank you for your assistance - I really appreciate it!

A:Locked Registry Keys, Unknown User Accounts, Probably More Issues...

Please post all logs you have so far directly into the thread as reply. I can not open attachments on my system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566899/locked-registry-keys-unknown-user-accounts-probably-more-issues/
Relevancy 89.01%

I had installed expression web 4 into windows 10 and for some reason it created a user account, now my Run command defaults to this user account. I wanted to remove it but it doesn't show under user accounts. How do I fix this?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437561-removing-user-account-doesnt-show-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help. Recently, a few strange things have happened with the PC, which first started when I found I couldn't use the Backup & Recovery software in Windows 7. Whenever I clicked on one of the buttons with a shield, nothing would happen at all. I've looked around and just can't find the solution to this. However, today when trying to fix this, I've come across a new user account in the permissions section. The name is jvactaett - I certainly haven't made this! Does anyone have any ideas how this account has got there, and how I can remove it? It doesn't show in user accounts through Control Panel.

I've put a screenshot as well. To get there, I right clicked a hard drive and went to properties, Security, Add, advanced and then clicked Find Now.

I don't know if the two things above are linked or not...
Thanks!

A:Unknown user showing in user accounts - possibly compromised?

A further observation is that when I do sfc /scannow through cmd, it stops at 59%. Same problem as this post, but didn't follow all the things that were replied as I didn't know if they were relevant to me...

Windows Firewall Service unable to activate, SFC scan unable to work

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/309723-unknown-user-showing-user-accounts-possibly-compromised.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I am a lab technician for Microsoft classes at a community college One of our students somehow messed up his hard drive The computer is running Windows Enterprise SP -bit The system has two administrator accounts and one not accounts No profile but user to created able logon User - standard user account I am still able to logon with those accounts and there are SID keys for each of these users in the registry Now when we create a new user the account is created without any problems The user shows up on the logon page and after running the net user command it shows up there as well When I try to logon with the new user I get a message The User Profile Service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded None of the new user accounts show up in the registry The other anomaly that I see is that the Default User folder is missing in each of the Users subdirectory for the three accounts where I have no problems I have read the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article and none of the methods apply to my problem I also checked Local Group Policies and the Do not logon users with temporary profiles setting is not configured I would appreciate any thoughts that anyone has this problem

A:User accounts created but not able to logon - No user profile

Pixel, welcome to Sevenforums!

Have you tried a system restore yet? select a point before the problem began: System Restore
Try a repair install: Repair Install
Important! Read the warning box in the tutorials just in case they effect the user or your class
Credits: Both tutorials created by Brink

Let me know which of these tutorials you are able to do, and if they correct the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/214748-user-accounts-created-but-not-able-logon-no-user-profile.html
Relevancy 86.43%

The other day I went to delete one of my user accounts and found a password protected user by the name of Machine ASP....'s which did not show up when log ging in, only in user accounts. I deleted it as there was no way of accessing the account to see what was in it but was wondering if anyone might know how it could have got there. I have norton internet security, norton antivirus and sygate pro firewall. No one else has had access to the computer either(at least not from my home). Any help appreciated.

Relevancy 86.43%

Hello,I got some tips a couple of months ago on tweaking your pc. I did alot of tweaks and guess what? Silly me I didnt back up the REGISTRY!!!!! I also installed Windows Transformation Pack 6. This is what happens when I try to go to Control Panel> User Accounts, and try to click the 3 tabs under "Learn About" . automation server cant create object Now these tabs have crosses next to them So I must of disabled a service or something? I can create accounts. but I gotta log out, and log in other one. I cant quickly switch over while having 2 or 3 accounts logged in at the same time. When I try to switch users, it doesn't do it. Please help!Thanks.

A:User Accounts & Fast User Switching

I believe that if the Terminal Service isn't started then fast user switching isn't available.To start the Terminal Service, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools and click on Services. Right click on Terminal Service and select Properties. Make sure the startup type is set to Automatic.Also, see this Microsoft article on fast user switiching.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/100701/user-accounts-fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 85.14%

I had a virus and when I tried to shutdown my system hung and I had to unplug and when restarted Norton removed Bloodhound Exploit 281 and I found Warning 1530 User Profile Service application had files still in use they will be unloaded now there were preferences,settings, and a couple certificates for iexplorer these are the ones I think cause error 4107 CAPI 2 along with a update for windows. How can I fix these certificates and time stamp issues that I have after I restored back before virus infection? I need help what options do I have to fix or attempt to fix reinstall would be difficult because Dell support sucks and I have alot of time invested and money in setup. THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

A:HI I had a virus cause several reg key leaks warning 1530 user profile

Fact: Within the last week I and many others had that capi error. It is not from your virus.

I never saw that problem prior to my having it and then many posters with the problem.

Strangely, the way I solved it, after google, was to go to services, windows media network, and turn it off. Be sure that no other service is dependant on it. Why, I do not know. It worked for me and few others. The certificates worked for no one, that I have seen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/97792-hi-i-had-virus-cause-several-reg-key-leaks-warning-1530-user-profile.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi there guys,
I have a problem that is bothering me quite some time now and I finally decided to post here...
here's the thing:
Anyway I open Control panel>>User accounts I get this:

The curious thing is that this happens only on my sister and my parents' accounts (so 2 accounts out of 3) but everything seems good on my account. I tried making a new account but the problem appears there too...
Also on those two accounts MSN Live Messenger isn't working i.e. freezes and its impossible to write the email and the password :S :S
Could anyone guess what might be the problem to this and why its happening only on their accounts?
Pleaseeee helppp!
Thanks in advance!

A:User accounts problem :( Help please :(:(

What type of accounts are the two inoperative ones? Set as Administrator or Limited?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-problem-help-please-187353.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi, I was wanting to change my log-in password for my main username, as my brother got hold of it. I went to the Control Panel and double clicked 'User Accounts' to get the User Accounts page to pop up. Unfortunatley, it didn't, so I tried it a few more times and nothing happened. I then rebooted my pc and tried again, but the User Accounts window never opened. It has been doing this for 3 months now and is really annoying everyone who uses this pc as we all want to change our log-in names, pictures and passwords. Please can you help me to sort this.

My PC Info If Needed:

Intel Pentium IIII CPU 2.50 GHz
2.49GHz, 224MB of RAM.

Thank You In Advance.

A:'User Accounts' Problem ... help Please.

welcome
i believe you need to log in as administrator
boot to safe mode, tap f8 as you first start up.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-problem-help-please-93881.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I have set-up my Windows XP Home system so that there is one administrator and one limited user I am attempting Problem User Accounts to allow some of the folders within quot My Documents quot User Accounts Problem to User Accounts Problem be available to the limited user and some not to be However whatever settings I seem to set in the administrator account whenever in User Accounts Problem the limited user account when clicking on quot My Documents quot of the administrator it says access denied I understand that the default is meant to be that all files are available to all local users unless otherwise specified To specify this you right-click on the folder go to properties and then the sharing tab and then select quot Make this folder private quot I want to set it so that some of the folders are private and some are available to limited users however even when none of the folders are selected to be private the limited user cannot access anything I noticed that you can move any folders you want to the shared folder however this is unsatisfactory for me as the command line for all of the files has consequently changed and causes me numerous problems elsewhere I hope someone can advise Thanks Jon nbsp

Relevancy 84.28%

So I accidentally changed my computers SID and my system created a new user account "Taylor-TaylorPC" Where my old username was Taylor and my computer name is TaylorPC. It locked me out of my old user folder, so I can't access my files. What should I do? If there's no solution, how can I back up the files if I can't access them?

A:Problem With User Accounts

I am assuming that the new user has administrator access - assuming this you should be able to right click on the old user name folder under c:\users and use properties - advanced - and ownership to take ownership of the folder tree
This should allow yyou to ceess the folders and contents (if UAC is active you may find that it asks for elevation )
Without Administrator access things are possible but will be a lot more difficult

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/25867-problem-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Recently the hard drive on my PC was wiped I got the PC back with one admin account on Problem Accounts User it User Accounts Problem quot Owner quot I go ahead and put the other accounts I had on before admin for myself and other limited accounts Now when I next load up the PC it should to my understanding go to the Welcome Screen and the Owner account should be hidden showing only the accounts I put on ready for who ever to log on User Accounts Problem But it doesn't it goes and logs straight into the Owner account So I try to use the admin account I created to delete it I can't - the option simply isn't there So I create another account and still can't - but the option is there to delete the other account that was an admin setting Basically I want XP to load up on the welcome screen not auto logging in to the quot Owner quot account with it being hid from that menu like it should be any ideas

A:User Accounts Problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by madden1706

Recently the hard drive on my PC was wiped.

I got the PC back with one admin account on it, "Owner".
I go ahead and put the other accounts I had on before, 1 admin for myself and 3 other limited accounts.

Now when I next load up the PC it should to my understanding go to the Welcome Screen and the Owner account should be hidden showing only the 4 accounts I put on ready for who ever to log on.

But it doesn't, it goes and logs straight into the Owner account.

So, I try to use the admin account I created to delete it. I can't - the option simply isn't there. So I create another account and still can't - but the option is there to delete the other account that was an admin setting.

Basically I want XP to load up on the welcome screen not auto logging in to the "Owner" account, with it being hid from that menu like it should be.... any ideas?

Have a look at this article.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-problem-336059.html
Relevancy 84.28%

On the original user account the Internet connects automatically as it is set up to do (BT broadband modem). However the Internet will only work on my other 2 user accounts if the original one has been logged onto. All the accounts have full access, what can I do to stop this happening?

Thanks
Lydia

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-user-accounts-277899.html
Relevancy 84.28%

My wife has a standard user account, but recently tryed to log on and access was denied and a temporary account was automatically used.
I looked in the event viewer and got this message: Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. - What has gone wrong, and how do I fix it? Please help, it's driving me nuts!

A:User accounts problem

This problem may occur if the directory that is associated with the account has been deleted from the Documents and Settings folder.

1. Start the computer in Safe Mode, and then restart the computer.
a. After the Power On Self Test (POST), press the F8 key.
b. On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
c. When you are prompted to select the operating system to start, select Windows XP <edition>, where <edition> is the edition of Windows XP that you have installed, and then press ENTER.
2. Log on as Administrator.
a. On the "To begin, click your user name" screen, click Administrator.
b. Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

Note In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER.
3. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
4. Create a new user account. Windows makes a new directory for the account in the Documents and Settings folder.
5. Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-accounts-problem-306344.html
Relevancy 84.28%

The main user account used on this computer is the family account but for some reason although no new accounts have been created, all of the documents and settings of this user have been placed under a different user called Family_2. At the log on screen there is no other user, just family. All our documents and emails are basically hidden in the computer and I don't know how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Problem with user accounts

possible the user profile is corrupted.
try creating a new user and see everythign works in it.

Then login as administrator and copy the stuff from old profile to new profile.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-user-accounts-79674.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Just had a problem with my computer It runs Windows XP Home Edition I was opening internet explorer earlier and the screen went crazy and the computer froze and made this weird beep noise I manually shut it down restarted and tried to go to my account on the computer There are user accounts on this computer I got back to the desktop and tried to open internet explorer back up but it wouldn t open Nothing will Not even My Computer or Recycle Bin I can user accounts problem XP barely get the Start Menu up I finally got the Start Menu up and restarted and tried again but the same thing happened So I went to the other user account on the computer and everything was as smooth as can be Internet runs fine and the speed is perfect I am on that account XP user accounts problem right now I tried to delete the other account but it wouldn t let me the window just froze I did a virus check and it came back clean I didn t think it would affect just one user anyways but just did as a precaution Any thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 84.28%

When trying to connect ipod it tells me it cant find my music folder, using tweak i try to assign my music folder but it does not show up in the drop down box. It seems my user accounts have been corrupted or become too confused...can you help me re establish a working accounts and all its correct settings?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-problem.459571/
Relevancy 84.28%

Please help!!!

On XP Home (SP2), one of my user accounts has randomly disappeared from the Welcome Screen, from the User Accounts section of the Control Panel, and from the User Accounts window that comes up when running "control userpasswords2".

However, it hasn't completely gone - the account's document folders still exist, and when I try to recreate it, I get the message "The account already exists".

I don't mind whether the solution is to get the account back or get rid of it completely so I can make a new one - it's just annoying to be halfway between the two!

Thanks in advance!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-problem.361586/
Relevancy 84.28%

My User Accounts window just won't open up. In the control panel, when I click on it, the hour glass cursor appears for about 3 seconds, and then stops. No window opens up! All the other shortcuts in the control panel work just fine. I've tried accessing it through the Run command, but nothing comes up. I've restarted my computer many times, which hasn't seemed to do anything, and the account I am using is the only one on the computer. What should I do? Thanks.

A:Problem with User Accounts

Give this a try http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-user-accounts-57164.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I have Win 7 Ultimate and have 3 user accounts, say A (an admin), B (a standard) and C (a standard). I don't seem to notice any problems logging in into user A and B.

However, I noticed that when my daughter tried to log in into her account (i.e user C), she sometimes got a dark blank screen. As far as I remembered, it had happened like twice or three times. I had to do Cnt-Alt-Del, and then chose "log off". Then I tried logging in again and it would normally work.

Yesterday, it happened again, and when I tried to logging in (I tried it twice), it didn't work. So I finally have to restart the PC and then it worked.

I am not sure what the problem is. I would appreciate any help.

A:Problem with one of the User accounts

Check out your event viewer/windows/application log for any critical errors and post them in your next reply...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/46814-problem-one-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi,

You guys have helped me with problems in the past, hopefully you can do the same again

I have 3 user accounts on my computer (Mine, the wifes and the childrens). None of them have any passwords attached to them.

Recently when switching from user to user i get prompted for a password, obviuosly as i have never set up any on the accounts i am unable to access the accounts and have to restart the computer. Once it has rebooted i am able to select any of the users without a password being required.

Any ideas why this is happening??
thanks

A:User Accounts Problem

For which accounts does this apply to? Just yours or all of them. If it is only one then mabye someone has put a password on them. Try doing a system restore (solves %30 of computer issues) and the see if the password is required.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/109261/user-accounts-problem/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi this is sort of a two-part help-request Recently when trying to access the User Accounts option in Control Panel it keeps opening a blank NotePad with the error message quot The filename directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect quot Although I can still log in and log off normally and everything Also I have & Log problem User Accounts Hijackthis set my computer to Auto-login In case it may help shed User Accounts problem & Hijackthis Log some light on the situation and also b c i want to do a check up anyways lol here s my Hijackthis Log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files TGTSoft StyleXP StyleXPService exe C Program Files Sygate SPF smc exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Stardock TrayServer exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe C WINDOWS System S apphk exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C windows system hpsysdrv exe C PROGRA Logitech MOUSEW SYSTEM EM EXEC EXE C Program Files Messenger Plus MsgPlus exe C PROGRA BILLPS WINPAT WinPatrol exe C Program Files Winamp winampa exe C WINDOWS system ps exe C Program Files ICQPlus VPlus exe C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton Utilities NPROTECT EXE C Program Files SpywareGuard sgmain exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgbhp exe C Program Files Avant Browser iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Owner CuDzY Maintenance HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie amp ar iesearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http my myway com my jsp R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http ie search msn com SUB RFC srchasst srchasst htm R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ca hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie amp ar iesearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ca hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie amp ar iesearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhost R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main First Home Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll Prd ie amp Pver amp Ar ie update amp O b R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page bak http my myway com my jsp R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard Shellnext http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie amp ar runonce amp pver amp plcid x O - BHO SpywareGuard Download Protection - A E - F- - B - B DDD DB - C Program Files SpywareGuard dlprotect dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - d a - d - d - - e a - C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm RoboForm dll O - BHO no name - A -F B - D -AE A- D CF - C PROGRA DLExpert dll iehelper dll O - BHO Guard-IE - D F F - A- B- - A B ACA - no file O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System MSDXM OCX O - Toolbar amp RoboForm - d a - d - d - - e a - C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm RoboForm dll O - Toolbar Guard-IE - C D- C - -BB - BFF FA F DA - no file O - HKLM Run A Stardock TrayMonitor quot C Program Files Commo... Read more

A:User Accounts problem & Hijackthis Log

Christina, if you have not already resolved this, this solution suggested at a couple of sites worked for me -

Reenable, or enable the Microsoft HTA (Hypertext application) facility.

HTA permits active content on web pages and is recognized as very insecure, since it permits those web pages to run as applications on your machine. Many machines have disabled HTA as a result, some using a security application called "HTA Stop". Others have removed the file association for the .hta file type so it is unassociated.

In any case, the User Accounts module of the Control Panel apparently requires that the HTA facility be running - because reestablishing the file association and using HTA Stop to restart HTA fixed my problem, which was apparently identical to yours.

You can use the command (DOS) window with the "assoc" command to check and establish the .hta file type association. Check with "assoc .hta". Establish with "assoc .hta=htafile"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-problem-hijackthis-log.225217/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello everyone, this is my first post here; now seems like as good a time as any to start.

The problem I'm having is, essentially, that I can't log in to any of my user accounts. My computer will load to the screen where the accounts are displayed, but when I click on any of them it will load for a moment, then go back to the same screen. It won't prompt me to enter a password; it just seems to be stuck in a loop. I haven't been able to find anything on the internet that specifically addresses this issue. I hope I described it in enough detail.
If it helps any, I'm using a Dell Latitude D620 laptop.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385738-problem-logging-into-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have a dell insprion 1501, running xp home version sp2, norton 360 for security. I got a virus that trashed my main user account, I can get onto the guest account and get online, and do almost everything except anything the administrator needs to do, In safe mode I can get into both accounts, the virus turned off by system restore, so I can't restore, i think it deleated drivers, when I log on using safe mode i get a screen that fills the whole monitor which reads multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys
\ftdisk.sys
\partMgr.sys
then every line is the same except a different ****.sy name.
I have gone in under safe mode and created a new admin user, but when I try to go into regular it crashes just like the main one does.
I don't know if I have to reformat the computer and reinstall windows or what. Help Please

A:[SOLVED] problem with one of two user accounts

It sounds like that virus is still wreaking havoc on your PC. Have you tried logging in as the default Administrator account? It may be quicker to wipe your computer clean and start fresh, but if you would rather just remove the viruses then follow the instructions below. You may need to do part of these steps in safe mode.

We recommend that you read this article?
"NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help"; follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help section of the forum.
(Simply, click on the coloured links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The 5 Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

After your system has been verified as clean, if your are still experiencing those problems come back here and we will assist you further.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-problem-with-one-of-two-user-accounts-332005.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I had to use the Acer eRecovery on my Desktop pc after it kept shutting down without warning. The eRecovery told me it would back up all my user accounts data on my hard drive and that I could recover them when it had finished the re-install.

Following the re-install of the OS I have found the user account data but I have no idea how to move it all back to where it used to be.

Can anyone help?

A:Problem with user accounts after doing a recovery

default user directories are: c:\Users\<account user name>
Sub directories will include (Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures and My Videos)

Your saved user data should still contain subdirectories with similiar, if not identicle name.

You can simply copy the User's sub directories and paste them into the default C:\Users\<User account name> select replace and you should be good.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/145007-problem-user-accounts-after-doing-recovery.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Just got a new dell with XP Pro installed. I have to log off in order to switch users. When I try to just switch users, the welcome screen flashes to my desktop and then back to the welcome screen and won't let me do anything else until I log off the original user. I have the fast user switch active and have confirmed that the RPC, fast user switch and terminal services are on and on automatic. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

A:Switching user accounts problem

Fast User Switching won't work in every situation.

- The Welcome screen must be enabled.
- The computer must not be joined to a domain.
- Offline files must be disabled.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-user-accounts-problem-369731.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi there,

this problem just surfaced a few days ago where i've left my PC vacant ( because i went overseas ).

Currently I have 2 user accounts ( one is Administrator and one is ABC ). Admin is the one which was default and never used. i've always used ABC account ( i set it to auto login and no password demand upon login ) to do all my things. however, now it just logs in automatically to the Administrator account, and all my settings are not in this account. since it was a default account, winxp doesn't allow me to delete it. what can i do in order to login straight to ABC and not login to any other account ever again? also, what caused this problem? would like to know so i can prevent it from happening again. thanks!

A:problem with user accounts. (login)

Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the user account from the list (the account to which you want to automatically logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password (if it has one) and complete the process.http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/208452/problem-with-user-accounts-login/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello all -- I was reading an article about managing passwords in XP and followed its instructions I went to Start Run and entered quot control userpasswords quot at that time the accounts that I have put on the computer showed along with another that I did not knowingly authourize or even know about The suspicious account is a limited Accounts" My "user User In Unknown account -- password protected and has the title quot ASP NET Machine A quot thats exactly what it says asp net seems to be a microsoft sponsored site -- I guess My concern is that I have recently had and removed spyware from this pc and I did not knowingly authorize this account nor have I heard of ASP NET prior to this I really want to delete this account but I am more courious as to how it got there I am your everyday home pc user with Unknown User In My "user Accounts" limited knowledge of much more that the color of my computer Please Unknown User In My "user Accounts" advise Thank you Oh yeah -- the ASP account only shows when I go to the start run and access user accounts that way -- to access user accounts Unknown User In My "user Accounts" through control panel does not show the asp net account thank you originaljw

A:Unknown User In My "user Accounts"

ASP.net is put there by Microsoft when you installed the .NET thru Windows Update. Not to worry.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/56125/unknown-user-in-my-user-accounts/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi Guys Please help me with this I have tried everything I know and it still happens My husband and I each have our own user account on the PC both as Administrators User Windows Accounts problem Vista All was working fine before Suddenly once started up and I log onto my user account all is gone No files no desktop background only vista s default background and I have to set up my IE and Google Chrome s preferences all over there are no bookmarks Windows Vista User Accounts problem favourites etc This does not happen each time I log on but occurs every second day or so then OK for a day then off again It first started on my husband s account for a week or so now his is OK and it s mine doing this thing I have done system restore twice it runs well for a day and then does the same Another problem I have which may go hand in hand with the above is that I un-installed Firefox then re-installed it again The reason being that when using FF I would get a message saying FF has encountered a problem and has to shut down And after re-installing it it now does not function at all I can click on it and nothing happens FF still shows in Add and remove programs in Control panel but when I want to un-install it nothing happens I got fed-up and installed Chrome Is it OK to delete all the FF files in Program Files on C or not All your advice and help will be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Windows Vista User Accounts problem

have you tried turning UAC off in user accounts,just to see any difference

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-user-accounts-problem.910986/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi Guys I have Windows XP Pro running on my computer I have two user accounts on this windows One is under quot John quot and other is under quot Homer quot might seem funny but this is for fun I mostly use quot John s quot user account When I go in C Drive and under Documents and Settings I have Windows Pro!!!!!!!! names user (accounts) in XP with Problem both names John and Homer but all the files and things I saved under quot John s quot Problem with user names (accounts) in Windows XP Pro!!!!!!!! account are actually under quot Homer s quot account I haven t used quot Homer quot account for couple of months now so it doesn t have much saved on its Desktop however John s Desktop has lots of stuff saved on Desktop and in other folders Why then all the stuff saved under quot John s quot account shows under quot Homer s quot account in Documents and Settings unch Also anybody know how to change the computer name in Windows XP I have set my computer name on my name but I want to change that to some other name for privacy Any suggestions will be appreciated nbsp

A:Problem with user names (accounts) in Windows XP Pro!!!!!!!!

Change Computer Name

To change your computer name go to:

Start/
"Right Click" My Computer/
Then Click on Properties/
Go to the tab Computer Name/
And For a final step click on Change to change your computer name

I hope that helps (This is my first time to post on this forum) :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-user-names-accounts-in-windows-xp-pro.18566/
Relevancy 82.56%

I switched to Windows recently and tried to set Accounts - User Multiple Up Problem Setting up Setting Up Multiple User Accounts - Problem multiple accounts when I Setting Up Multiple User Accounts - Problem ran into a problem I need to set up user accounts on machine dont ask me why lol but once I reach close to it locks me out By lock me out I mean I cannot create any more new accounts I cannot enter the UAC panel I cannot manage any of the existing accounts including my own adminitrator account - in other words I cannot do anything under the 'user account' tab on the control panel if I create one of the other accounts as an administrator it shows me the same results - actually it wont even go into the user accounts tab no matter how hard I click on it I tried this on both my machines - one running Family the other professional bit Same result - one got to accounts the otehr to accounts Is there a limit to the number of user accounts you can run on Windows I rememebr on Windows XP there was no limit although the welcome screen slowed down to a crawl when i tried to set up more than user accounts Is there a way around this limitation if there is one If there is a limitation is it with regards to these versions alone and perhaps the Business Enterprise edition does not have this problem Any information would be appreciated

A:Setting Up Multiple User Accounts - Problem

hello..

if you have to create 200 accounts..i suggest you to make server..
and you can arrange it easy. you just install window server 2003 R2. and use active directories to manage your clients account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/79455-setting-up-multiple-user-accounts-problem.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Greetings to those who know!
I reformatted my pc a while ago and was feeling rather pleased with myself,BUT I can connect on my own account no problem, but neither my guest account nor my daughters account can connect to the internet, I get the message:

Error 734: The PPP Link Control Protocol Was Terminated" Error Message Occurs If You Try to Establish a Dial-Up Connection .
I have adsl.

I have checked all the settings, they are identical to my own account, and checked the ms site problem solving notes on the error number, all ok there too.

What have I missed? Or what am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Ps weird thing is I also reformatted my other pc at the same time and that has no problem what so ever!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/91070/internet-connection-problem-with-xp-user-accounts/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi Problem user Solved: accounts with Windows XP and My computer was previously not working and I decided to use the quot recovery disc quot which came with my computer This reinstalled windows into the same drive and folder Solved: Problem with Windows XP and user accounts as before and so all my data was kept as I wanted However Solved: Problem with Windows XP and user accounts if I open my Documents and Settings folder on my C drive open the folder of my user account from before the reinstallation and try to open quot My Documents quot it says quot Access Denied quot presumably as the computer sees it as another user s folder How can I access the files contained in this folder I know the password for the user account however as it s from the old Windows before it was reinstalled i can t directly log into it Would I be able to access the files through a different OS eg a Linux Live CD Any help would be appreciated And the sooner the better too I desperately need to get to these files as this folder contains all of my schoolwork - Javawag nbsp

A:Solved: Problem with Windows XP and user accounts

Welcome,

Try this here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-problem-with-windows-xp-and-user-accounts.515272/
Relevancy 82.56%

Recently I had to do a system restore Accessing user folders XP accounts Problem due to a virus infection and it restored the computer months back only Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders there was one problem USERS before System Restore Account P Computer owner Account Account X Administrator Account Y limited Account Z Administrator USERS after system restore Account N COMPUTER Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders ADMINISTRATOR After the system restore there was only a Computer Owner Administrator account After weeks of trying to recreate the accounts to no avail i have given up However When I go to C Documents and Settings I can still access all the folders and files of the previous user accounts P Y and Z All except for Account X which was an administrator account and had set its sharing of files and folders to PRIVATE and unable to let other users access When I try to open the documents folder using the Computer owner administrator account it says quot Access to C documents and settings account X Is Denied quot I have tried to change its properties of the folder to share and i have tried booting the computer in safe mode and changing its permissions to no avail It still says quot you do not have the permissions to change this quot Can somebody help me with this Much appreciated nbsp

A:Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders

Sometimes when you reinstall WindowsXP, you can receive an Access Denied error when trying to open a previous user's directory.
To take ownership of that folder again:

1. Log on with an account that has administrator rights
2. Right click on the folder
3. Select Properties
4. Click on the Security tab
5. Click on the Advanced button
6. Click on the Owner tab
7. In the list of Names, click on your name
8. To take ownership, click on Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
9. Click OK and Yes

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#file_ownership

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-xp-user-accounts-folders.576640/
Relevancy 82.56%

EDIT I changed the topic of this post cuz I figured out that OMG I was looking at a dummy folder problem? accounts hidden user permissions created by some badly hard wired software named quot Documents permissions problem? hidden user accounts and Settings quot instead of the actual Vista version quot Users quot Here's the background Someone's Vista install just got toasted by a virus I need to get their personal files off the drive but when I hook it permissions problem? hidden user accounts up to another computer and try to open it in My Computer it says Access Denied and won't even tell me the capacity of the drive So I logged in as the hidden administrator on this comp and can view everything Just to bypass any ownership problems from the get go I ran from an elevated command prompt takeown F F and it said The file or folder F now owned by user PhenomX PC Owner which is me I still can't open it So since I figure I'd have to do this anyway I ran the subfolder-including version takeown F F R D Y which modified like files successfully and choked on and this is not a typo INFO The system cannot find the path specified F ProgramData Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data My Music Sample Music Yeah quot application data quot 's deep The weird part is quot F ProgramData Application Data quot doesn't exist if viewed in explorer even with the correct Folder Options set but it opens from the Run command but there's no subfolders listed then So I did a run of like layers deep and it popped open an explorer window with about layers deep of Application Data and it had the exact same contents but a breadcrumb listing on top that suggested it was several subfolders deep BUT wait it gets weirder Similar ownership commands above that found and modified files with that layer path just fine It choked on desktop ini and then sample music and gave up What's going on here Is the drive corrupted or is something translating folder names incorrectly

A:permissions problem? hidden user accounts

aww, I hit the editing timeout :( but was just gonna add that

I'm going to use the right click "take ownership" mod to more specifically be able to grab just their documents and pictures and stuff in case they're somehow protected with wacky permissions but I'll probably need to know in the future why the entire drive command failed in that way.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/permissions-problem-hidden-user-accounts-556142.html
Relevancy 82.56%

This morning I made a stupid mistake while messing with compmgmt msc I took off my main user dimgl who is an in to problem, user log Huge no accounts normal administrator from the Administrator group I wanted to make it a normal user This is all Huge problem, no normal user accounts to log in fine and dandy however I did not realize that dimgl was not part of the Users group When I logged off to my surprise dimgl was gone and I only had a Guest account I logged on to a Guest account and here is where the hell started I first tried to run mmc exe as an Administrator but I noticed UAC was disabled Therefore mmc exe always started with Guest credentials I said no problem let me go into Command Prompt and use a RUNAS command to start mmc exe as an Administrator I use the quot RUNAS mmc exe user Administrator quot command and I receive this message RUNAS ERROR Unable to run - mmc The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it I look in my Services and the Secondary Logon service is disabled ' At this point I'm stumped and I have no idea how to regain access to my computer I really don't want to reinstall Windows and there has to be some sort of workaround to this Can anyone help

A:Huge problem, no normal user accounts to log in

Not sure if you can, but it's worth a try. Try to activate the hidden administrator account with this.

Net user administrator /active:yes

Give it a shot on command prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/200245-huge-problem-no-normal-user-accounts-log.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi all,

Recently decided it would be a good idea to add a password to the Admin account in safe mode.

However, when I click the "User Accounts" icon in control panel while logged in to the Admin account i get a missing win32.ddl error.

Doesn't happen in any other accounts...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

A:User Accounts problem in safe mode

I have found this -> Toolbar: SurferBar - {FF7FD490-34E7-4FA1-927A-F5799E6AAD7B} - c:\PROGRA~1\win32.dll which appears to link that .dll with malware.

You can Google the whole string.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-problem-in-safe-mode-545829.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi I'm getting this error message I did a google search and found this You receive a quot The User Profile Service failed the logon But did not help me I also did a search here and found a few topics with this error message though they didn't solve my problem either because mine problem seems to be different I can login to existing accounts But I can't login to new ones So when I go to the registry editor there's no folder for the new accounts They just don't exist at all Only the existing ones I create failed..." user accounts create Can't service profile "The new user a new user account at the Users menu in Control panel and they show up at login screen When I click them it starts the waiting icon saying quot Logging in quot then after a few seconds this error message pops up I can click OK and then it says quot logging off quot and goes Can't create new user accounts "The user profile service failed..." back to the login screen I do have access to an administrator account and a standard account I can log in to both I don't have any system restore points before this started happening i'm using ESET Smart Security as my antivirus but I don't think it's causing the problem I uninstalled it and it didn't work then either so I reinstalled it back Please help me what could be wrong

A:Can't create new user accounts "The user profile service failed..."

Can you yell us when the problem started and were you on the system when it is doing this if so what were you doing when it started.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/362154-cant-create-new-user-accounts-user-profile-service-failed.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I just finished setting up my grandchildren's computer and tried to set one Administrator's account and 3 limited accounts for them to use in order to stop them downloading so much. My problem came when I set it up at their house and learned that using their dial-up Netzero account, they couldn't get online. I could only connect through the Administrator's account. I have always read that one should never use the Administrator's account all the time for safety's sake, so I am assuming I did something wrong. Right now I have all of them set to Administrator again so they can all get online through their own user accounts.

Is there a way to change things so they can get online with limited accounts?

Thanks
Peg

Relevancy 81.7%

Hi all,

I'm having this issue with these red 'X' appearing in places of the pictures for this screen. Please refer to the image attached.

Thanks,

Stanley

A:Weird image problem in User Accounts Settings

Hi Stanley,

i've had this problem before but don't worry as it's easily fixed by running the attached registry file. All you need to do is merge the contents of the zip file and that should do it..though you may need to reboot to notice the fix.

Hope that helps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/weird-image-problem-in-user-accounts-settings-205391.html
Relevancy 81.7%

The other day I thought it'd be a good idea to screw around with the settings on my parents' computer My parents say they can't trust me and you'll find out why My parents put a limitation in the first place for me to not w/ Control User administrator accounts problem (UAC) Account download anything malicious and around last summer I was always yelled at for using the computer at night so they put Parental Controls only the time limit from AM to PM and changed my account type to Standard User That means I can't use the computer at night even if I tried I was sick and tired of it User Account Control (UAC) problem w/ administrator accounts honestly so I thought the smart thing to do was to download an iso to burn to a disc to reset the password and or promote my account to administrator I downloaded the Trinity Rescue Kit and burnt it to a DVD in order to promote my account to administrator Little did I know the thing kind of messes up with your UAC I ignored the warnings In order to use Parental Controls you have to be a Standard User Which I updated my account's settings and well the controls didn't go away I still had the time limit and all the other stuff my parents put on User Account Control (UAC) problem w/ administrator accounts here I tried to go into the Control Panel to remove it and it did absolutely nothing When I clicked on my account's name it said I had to be a Standard User to change it I tried to change my account to a Standard one and it did absolutely nothing It remained an Administrator which I knew if I left my account as an Administrator my parents would one day find out that I've been downloading stuff and I've completely disobeyed them I later removed my parents' account's password and tried it there It didn't do anything but wipe their password oh great they're going to be more mad at me now My dad got really upset and threatened to delete my account along with all my files Here I am now on my sister's account on the machine I'm trying to access my account and type in the password but the User Account Control window pops up but the 'Yes' option is greyed out and there's no space to type in my password I rebooted into Safe Mode and saw that my account was not there I logged into my sister's account and the problem still persists On the login screen my account quot User quot will not show up when I booted it up earlier this evening it was working completely fine It said the warning that I wasn't allowed onto my account and then I logged into my sister's and rebooted and it was gone When I navigate to C Users - my account files are still there Not being able to access them because of the User Account Control window not letting me type any password or click 'yes' I have no idea what to do now I can't restore this machine back to the other date since it'll make my parents even more angry at me and I think using the DVD will just muck it up even more This is confusing me if anyone knows what they're doing and how to fix this please reply Thank you

A:User Account Control (UAC) problem w/ administrator accounts

I'm sure you do know the trouble you are in but there's really nothing else you can do but own up to the problem you have caused. Obviously the controls were put in place to prevent problems associated with nonresponsible actions.

Be prepared to have to do a Factory Restore on the computer/s if the login for your parents and/or your sister don't work. You might need a Linux LiveCD or LiveDVD bootable disc to first save any documents/data they have saved.

To avoid such problems in the future get your own computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/335391-user-account-control-uac-problem-w-administrator-accounts.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Problem with user accounts no taskbar no explorer exe it isn't running no desktop icons Hi I'm having trouble when I load my desktop with no accounts:no explorer.exe, Problem user taskbar, no icons side of the computer and the only way I can access programs is through Windows Task Manager All that will load is the desktop background picture I have looked up various solutions - it seems the explorer exe process is Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe, no desktop icons missing or unable to be located when I try to run it I have ran Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe, no desktop icons an AVG scan and two infection were found and supposedly healed These were C Programfiles MicrosoftCommon wuauclt exe Win Heur and C WINDOWS System ntos trojanhorsePakes c RZ Have not yet ran any other scans and really need futher advice on what to do next I have Spybot and Adaware but have not yet ran a scan since before the computer started playing up I've also had to manually open Zonealarm so that I have a functioning firewall I've only had this problem once before - I think it was yesterday and I panicked and just turned off the computer at the switch Restarted everything was fine and the toolbar amp desktop was there Today it was working fine until I turned it on about hours ago

A:Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe, no desktop icons

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcacat

Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe (it isn't running), no desktop icons

Hi I'm having trouble when I load my side of the computer and the only way I can access programs is through Windows Task Manager. All that will load is the desktop background picture. I have looked up various solutions - it seems the explorer.exe process is missing or unable to be located when I try to run it. I have ran an AVG scan and two infection were found and supposedly healed. These were C:\Programfiles\MicrosoftCommon\wuauclt.exe (Win32\Heur)and C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntos (trojanhorsePakes_c.RZ). Have not yet ran any other scans and really need futher advice on what to do next! I have Spybot and Adaware but have not yet ran a scan since before the computer started playing up. I've also had to manually open Zonealarm so that I have a functioning firewall :/

I've only had this problem once before - I think it was yesterday and I panicked and just turned off the computer at the switch. Restarted, everything was fine and the toolbar &desktop was there. Today it was working fine until I turned it on about 2 hours ago

I've seen something like this once but could not fix it, however try the following. At the blank desktop (just wallpaper) bring up task manager ctrl-alt-delete. You should see some tasks but explorer.exe is missing.

Click new task, enter explorer.exe and press enter. The rest of the desktop will load, icons, taskbar and menubar. You now have a chance to fix whats wrong.
If you can run a scan with either SysInternals autorun of HijackThis this will be your best chance, compare each running task with google, you may be able to pinpoint the cause(s).

You may however be able to create a new user in control panel with admin rights and copy your files across from the old account to the new account.
I'm not sure exactly where in the boot process explorer.exe is called from, but your machie has been compromised, and sometimes its easier to format and reinstall.

The machine I had a look at for a friend also had a folder on the root C: drive just called ! This folder contained hundreds of p0rn type avi's but worse still refused to be delted recreating itself on reboot. Check for any strange folder names called ! may also be worth you running msconfig and hecking the contents of win.ini system.ini, startup services and programs.
Good luck.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-user-accounts-no-taskbar-no-explorer-exe-no-desktop-icons-273358.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi,

I have a user listed in C:\Documents and Settings that is not listed in "user accounts".

If if simply delete it then it comes back later.

The only thing in it is a thunderbird profile which I don't believe is active anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

A:Delete user that's in docs and settings but not in "user accounts".

Does the User Profile show up in System Properties?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/delete-user-thats-in-docs-and-settings-but-not-in-user-accounts-354027.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hiii everybody this is my first ever post in my first forum That s a disclaimer to ask you guys to forgive me for having very little gray matter - I have Windows XP HOME SP on Intel Celeron MHz and MB RAM I know it doesn t sound like much so I m always trying to read forums and tweak my settings But this time it ended up worse I used a program called autoruns exe to adjust my startup programs so it ll start faster I m not sure what I turned off but now It takes longer cut(copy) all Panel-User Control accounts ... missing accounts Can't paste, in & to start up I don t see any accounts not even admin in Control Panel - User accounts I can access a directory and open files but I can t cut or copy and paste them into another Can't cut(copy) & paste, all accounts missing in Control Panel-User accounts ... folder In services Can't cut(copy) & paste, all accounts missing in Control Panel-User accounts ... msc most of the programs under Local with automatic setting don t start and cannot be started I can t even see the programs under extended I have a home network but I can t access any of my other computers those are a few of laundry list of challenges with my computer with me I m even ready to format and reinstall XP but I need to copy some files before I do that I m sorry for this long post but can you guys help me nbsp

A:Can't cut(copy) & paste, all accounts missing in Control Panel-User accounts ...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-cut-copy-paste-all-accounts-missing-in-control-panel-user-accounts.287901/
Relevancy 79.98%

We tried to correct a problem - Access 2003 would not start on two workstations. We found a "fix" on Mircosoft support that suggested exporting a registry key from a computer where Access was working. The fix corrected the problem with Access but we may have accidentally over corrected the problem. The users are unable to log with their old user name and passwords. Is it possible to undo what we did??

A:User registry problem

Possible using System Restore to a date before you edited the Registry

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-registry-problem-375751.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi

I'm surprised that nobody else has this problem, but I've searched and can't find an answer...apologies if I've not looked hard enough but I decided to post a question because this is 'urgent' to me.

I had 2 children's accounts in Win 8, and had local Parental Controls. Upgraded OS to Win 10, and now I can't manage Parental Controls in Win 10 locally, so I 'think' I need to set up 'online Profiles' for them.

However, all their game progress, profile settings, etc are on their local profiles - how can I get all this data to be on their online Profiles? I didn't want to copy and paste folders (such as AppData) without knowing that this was a 'safe' way to do this.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Rgds,
Andy

A:How to copy user accounts in Win8 to online accounts in Win10

Hello Andy,

Have a look at the following tutorial which shows how to change a local account to an online one.

Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10

Hope this helps

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38452-how-copy-user-accounts-win8-online-accounts-win10.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I was recently looking on techguy for a similar resolution to the below question in the forum.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/822354-ccleaner-not-working-when-i.html

I do not have problems using the CC Cleaner in my account (admin) but when I run the cleaner it does not clean Chrome. See, my girl use chrome for her internet browser on her user account and I use Firefox in my admin user account.

IN fact i have this problem in a lot with programs like Tversity, CCleaner and AVG.

Do I have install the program on every User account (hence taking up room on my PC because I am installing the same program twice)?

And when I use virus programs do they sift for infections through all the users etc?

Thanks kindly.

w3b3d1g1

A:User Accounts in Vista - Operating programs in both accounts

hello w3b3d1g1

try this (in your account) start > all programs > any program you want to share > right click on that program.> choose share.. maybe what your looking for.

hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-in-vista-operating-programs-in-both-accounts.839860/
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi everyone The other day our PC refused to boot presenting a blue screen with Stop c following profiles registry problem user Missing registry file failure I followed this guide - http xphelpandsupport mvps org how do i repair a stop htm - had to do the harder method as the first had no effect This seemed to fix the issue as the computer now boots successfully however all our user profiles and personal files have disappeared All programs seem to be intact although Office applications won t open instead just giving an error message broken shortcuts When I did system restore the only restore point was from back in which surprised me - perhaps I shouldn t have restored from this point There is no option to undo the restore for Missing user profiles following registry problem some reason After I d restored Windows requested the Missing user profiles following registry problem validation key before allowing me to log in which it accepted wasn t expecting it to request this either I can see that all our files are still present on the computer through Linux live disc but they seem hidden in Windows along with our user profiles Any advice would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Missing user profiles following registry problem

I wonder if you had only the one system restore point from 2010 because of doing the procedure in that link, and it cleared your more recent ones.  When I looked in the folder it mentioned (C:\WINDOWS\repair) on my system, it had the registry hives dated the last time I did a full backup (with NT Backup), which was nearly 11 months ago.  Did you do a backup in 2010, or did you initially install Windows then?My guess from looking at that procedure described is that it seems to either create a system restore point from registry hives in the above-mentioned directory, or from the Win install CD.  It's kind of a convoluted method, because there's a far simpler way to directly copy the registry hive files to the Windows registry (via a live Linux disc, as you mentioned).  I wonder if you wouldn't have been a lot better off having used a lot more recent restore point BEFORE having tried that procedure.  (Presumably they would've still been present then.)If you would happen to have any backup of your files, that would be the easiest way to restore them to usability.But if not, since your registry has been reset pretty much back to the start anyway, I'd suggest trying to repair your installation of Windows XP by performing an in-place upgrade.  You can repair a damaged Windows installation if you run Windows Setup from the Windows XP CD-ROM.  It's a shot in the dark, but it's possible it could do something for updating the registry to make your files visible again.  If not, it's not likely to make anything worse than already is the case with that old system restore.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,151070.0.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello

I have been chasing up an answer to this problem for a couple of weeks now and have found a number of people with same symptoms but no answer which works.

When I go to the User Accouns page the dialog box for the "Choose the Account you would like to change" is blank.

I am an administrator and there are 2 accounts on my notebook - windows 7 professional.

I can view the accounts through the run command, but would like to know why the dialog is empty and what the fix is for this.

I have done a scan for errors - none found.

Done a complete reinstall - Accounts still not visible.

Looking on a variety of forums, this appears to have been happening to XP and Vista prior to Windows 7.

However none of the fixes for XP or Vista work (Some don't even apply).

Does anyone have a solution for this bug?

Thanks

A:User Accounts / Manage Accounts Blank

Microsoft has an article on this issue, please read this and try the solutions if you haven't already. Oh yeah, welcome to SevenForums.

Granted... It's for XP but I can't seem to find the Win7 version.

Several dialog boxes are blank

EDIT: Here's a fix for the "Windows Features" blank dialog. I figure it might tell you what your problem is as well.

Link to tutorial:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...alfeaturesexe/
Link to program:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/78641-user-accounts-manage-accounts-blank.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi all I can t find any mention of my problem on this or any other forum Or at least I don t think I can Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated Get Only Accounts Accounts User Cannot Admin Can DHCP, Here is my set-up Linksys DSL modem connected to an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router The modem is configured to be the DHCP server the Airport is set to bridge mode I have a new Compaq Presario desktop running Vista Home Basic with a Belkin wireless-G USB dongle All of this discussion is about wireless btw - Only Admin Accounts Cannot Get DHCP, User Accounts Can I don t have a long enough CAT- cable to connect the Airport and PC I have users set up on the PC - true unlocked administrator account and standard users When I boot up and connect as any of the standard users they automatically detect and connect to the Airport and receive IP addresses But when I change user to be the administrator the connection drops after a few seconds The Airport network is visible to Only Admin Accounts Cannot Get DHCP, User Accounts Can Vista because it is in the list of available networks But if I try to connect to it it fails and the Vista diagnostic tool tells me it has been unable to connect for unknown reason One of the standard users used to Only Admin Accounts Cannot Get DHCP, User Accounts Can have admin rights and that account had exactly the same problem If I log in from a boot-up as the administrator I also cannot connect to the network If the administrator account has been used and logged out the other users cannot connect to the Airport I have to re-boot before they can connect again I also have a MacBook and a Nokia N both of which can log into the network and get IP addresses fine If it s important I m using WPA This is not just irritating but also dangerous Because I am unable to use the internet from an administrator account I am unable to do things like updating my Norton software so I m putting myself at risk I assume the problem is rooted in how Vista treats admin users and the threats it perceives from internet access as such a user As mentioned I have Norton installed and Windows Firewall turned off A friend of mine suggested it might be because I ve got the network set as public and Vista doesn t want to connect an admin account to it but as I can t connect as an administrator to that network then I can t change the Vista setting Catch I haven t tried the registry fix for DHCP flags because I assume that if that was my problem then none of the accounts would be able to connect to the internet Has anyone come across a problem like this before I would appreciate any ideas you may have Please let me know if any detailed information would help Cheers ShuggyX nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/only-admin-accounts-cannot-get-dhcp-user-accounts-can.708758/
Relevancy 77.4%

I have been system deleting by Problem what&#39;s registry different registry, profiles and user via properties? deleting the deleting profiles using the method documented here for over the last years kb This has never been an issue as it was an effective way to remove corrupted local profiles Recently I've noticed changes in the environment where deleting the profile by going to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion ProfileList To remove all profiles remove the ProfileList key nbsp and going toMy Computer or Windows Explorer to remove the appropriate Windows Profiles lt var class quot sbody-var quot gt User name lt var gt folders To remove all profiles remove the Windows Profiles folder Is now causing an issue where end users are not able to access the registry enabling screensaver configurations and defaulting the nbsp MSN homepage These settings are usually locked down and greyed out nbsp by group policy and the home page is usually our intranet Problem deleting user profiles via registry, what&#39;s the different deleting by registry and system properties? page I've found the only way to fix this is to remove the profiles via the System properties method by right clicking on My Computer gt Properties gt User Profiles gt and deleting the corrupted user profiles one by one Only this time consuming method appears to let user profiles refresh correctly and reapplies the group policies correctly by locking down components My question is what is the difference between deleting profiles via the 'System Properties' windows as opposed to the 'Registry profile list and C users' method

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9ce3ff85-be0c-4592-bcbc-1db84cbd0d10/problem-deleting-user-profiles-via-registry-whatamp39s-the-different-deleting-by-registry-and?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello Just yesterday I of I for problem. First user ask some of HJT humbly your malware/registry with help time sort started having problems with how many of my applications were connecting to the internet My antivirus programs would either quit or simply not download updates My music player could not connect to various sites to get track information And even gmail had problems uploading attachments I m guessing this is all part of some sort of attack and I ve already run Spyware Malware Bytes and Avast in preboot mode None of which have cured the problem Another thing which may be a symptom is that I cannot restore to any previous system restore point Here s my hijackthis log I noticed in Spybot the nnnnMfEW dll which was in startup processes it s highlighted here I don t remember ever seeing First time user of HJT with some sort of malware/registry problem. I humbly ask for your help this before and google First time user of HJT with some sort of malware/registry problem. I humbly ask for your help search results reveal nothing about it Obviously I don t know if this is definitely the root of the problem but it s something to consider Anyway I appreciate any help anyone can offer I m getting a little desperate here and am willing to try anything Thank you so much for any help CODELogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System wltrysvc exeC WINDOWS System bcmwltry exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Google Update GoogleCrashHandler First time user of HJT with some sort of malware/registry problem. I humbly ask for your help exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system wltray exeC Program Files Creative Shared Files Module Loader DLLML exeC Program Files Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Surround Mixer CTSysVol exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exeC WINDOWS system xSleep exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static ccc exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files Adobe Reader Reader AcroRd exeC Program Files Microsoft Office Office WINWORD EXEC Program Files Microsoft Works MSWorks exeC Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exeC Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blankR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - URLSearchHook MHURLSearchHook Class - C AB A - F- e -B F-F CCE BBD - C Program Files Celebrity Toolbar tbhelper dllO - BHO MHTBPos - C B -FD - a- E -D EE E F - C Program Files Celebrity Toolbar tbcore dllO - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO no name - D - - -B - CBFE BF D - C WINDOWS system ssqNHbcA dll file missing O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dllO - BHO MyHeritage New Tab - D EC -BF E- CAC- BE-FB D E - C Program Files Celebrity Toolbar mhxpcomi dllO - BHO Google Gears Helper - E FEFE -FBF - AE-BA - CA E FB - C Program Files Google Google Gears Internet Explorer ge... Read more

A:First time user of HJT with some sort of malware/registry problem. I humbly ask for your help

bump.I'm willing to try anything to help with analysis and recovery ===========Hello While we understand your frustration at having to wait, please note that Bleeping Computer deals with several hundred requests for assistance such as yours on a daily basis. As a result, our backlog is quite large as are other comparable sites that help others with malware issues. Although our HJT Team members work on hundreds of requests each day, they are all volunteers who work logs when they can and are able to do so. No one is paid by Bleeping Computer for their assistance to our members.Further, our malware removal staff is comprised of team members with various levels of skill and expertise to deal with thousands of malware variants, some more complex than others. Although we try to take DDS/HJT logs in order (starting with the oldest), it is often the skill level of the particular helper and sometimes the operating system that dictates which logs get selected first. Some infections are more complicated than others and require a higher skill level to remove. Without that skill level attempted removal could result in disastrous results. In other instances, the helper may not be familiar with the operating system that you are using, since they use another. In either case, neither of us want someone to assist you who is not familiar with your issue and attempt to fix it.We ask that once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your thread or make further replies until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The reason we ask this or do not respond to your requests is because that would remove you from the active queue that Techs and Staff have access to. The malware staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.That is why I have made an edit to your last post, instead of a reply. Please do not multiple post here, as that only pushes you further down the queue and causes confusion to the staff.Please be patient. It may take several days, up to more than a week, perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.Thank you for understanding.Elise - forum moderator

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/293108/first-time-user-of-hjt-with-some-sort-of-malwareregistry-problem-i-humbly-ask-for-your-help/
Relevancy 76.11%

I run windows 7 premium 64 and all of the sudden I stated to get this popup after windows loads that says
"C:\User\Lori-Bee\AppData\Local\Temp\032150Log.iniis lost"
How can I fix this?...I tried check disk running CCleaner ....No difference

A:C:\User\User -User\AppData\Local\Temp\032150Log.iniis lost

Hi there ... Read the Link below and follow the Instructions ..
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Error 182418Log.iniis lost

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/325334-c-user-user-user-appdata-local-temp-032150log-iniis-lost.html
Relevancy 75.25%

when I create a new user account I can't log into it
error: profSvc service failed
I saw posts about changing something in C;/Users/Default User
But I don't seem to have such a folder. I defined view settings to show hidden files and also system files, but I don't see such a folder.
I only see the actual users, as well as public.

Maybe it got messed up from Eset, they have a trick for locating a stolen device, they create a fake user account, and when the thief tries to log in, you get a notification.
I think I see that fake user account listed as a folder in users, but I don't see the real account that I just created.
I don't have ESET installed anymore.

A:can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user"

Do you have any restore points to revert back to? You can get into recovery options at the login screen by holding shift while clicking restart.
Go to troubleshooting, and it will lead you to tools to help fix the problem.

You may need to refresh your PC, or reinstall everything if this problem can't be solved.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/45658-cant-log-into-new-user-accounts-there-no-default-user.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Good evening from Graz,

i have quite a strange problem on my personal pc since the last few days. I cannot login to my useraccount(which has a transparent picture at the logon screen since a few days).
I have just one workarround: if i login with my adminaccount and logoff, the userpicture of my privateaccount appears again and the login is possible.

What could this problem be related to?

greetings
Nico Müller

A:Solved: Windows 7 User Account Problem(Transparent User Picture)

Good morning,

solved it. Disabled the admin account, and removed the pw of my useraccount.
Kind a strange problem indeed, but seems to be solved.

Thanks anyway,
Nico

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-user-account-problem-transparent-user-picture.946560/
Relevancy 74.82%

My grandmother was recently hacked and she changed all her passwords herself (yay!). However she did not write down her new local user account password for her laptop.

I tried downloading OPHCrack, I burned it as an ISO file and put it on a DVD-R(only thing I had on hand) and i changed the boot order on her BIOS menu to had the DVD drive as the first priority. It does not run....I hear the disk drive moving, or spinning but the program does not run. Are there any other options or do I have to do a complete system restore to bypass this? Also if that is what I have to do how do I do that without being in her control panel?

A:Old Problem New User- Forgot Local User Account Password

Hello there "hater",are you sure you downloaded the right OPHcrack version?It should be the one that is intended to be used on,not the one being used to download and be burned on.Try imgburn,never failed me to create bootable CDs or DVDs.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40661-old-problem-new-user-forgot-local-user-account-password.html
Relevancy 73.1%

When I got my new windows 7 laptop I began using the default admin account. I read somewhere that it is not wise to use an admin account for day to day usage. I spend MOST of my time on the internet

My question is: Can I transfer all of my files, folders, programs and setting over to a standard user account?

Is there a better way to achieve the same thing?

Thank you

A:User accounts

What is the name of the account you're using?

I believe the Administrator account is hidden by default in Windows 7, so whether you're actually using the true Admin account, or just an account with Administrator privileges is probably the real question

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/372497/user-accounts/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have a Windows XP and I am (obviously) having trouble. Before, I had three accounts set up on the laptop, two days ago I checked and two were admin. and one was limited. However, since yesterday, it has been asking for a password to enter my main account. I thought nothing of it until I had to access one of the other accounts. I logged off and it wouldnt take me to the Welcome screen. When I checked under USER ACCOUNTS in the CONTROL PANEL it only showed that account and said it was limited, so pretty much I only have one account on my computer and cant add the other ones back on because this one somehow got set to limited. I don't know how any of this happened but how do I fix this so that I can add another account?

A:HELP! User accounts

Have you tried restarting into safe mode (tap F8 on bootup) and using the default Administrator account, which either shouldn't have a password or will have the one you set when installing?

I'd also take a look under Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management> Local Users and Groups>Users. see whats listed there.

Also check Control Panel>System>Advanced>User Profiles and C:\Documents and Settings

Anyway let us know how you get on.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-user-accounts.725472/
Relevancy 73.1%

I use windows xp and my user accounts are all set as administrators. however only one user seems to have control. others can not open help and support and system restore opens up in a blank window. It seems that any thing regarding Help will not open for these other users.

Thanks

Relevancy 73.1%

Hey all I'm having a problem accounts User with my laptop I'm hoping someone can guide me through I'm running CA Security Suite which I get free through Road Runner I was User accounts having problems with the Firewall and was advised to uninstall reinstall the Security Suite per Road Runner Tech Support I went to ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS clicked on CA Security Suite User accounts and clicked on remove It was uninstalled so I went to reinstall When I did It got to the point to install the firewall when a message popped up saying there was a version of the firewall already installed and it would not reinstall I went back to ADD REMOVE and sure enough the CA Security Suite is still listed This time when I clicked REMOVE it said I don't have administrator privileges to do remove it There are only accounts on this computer and both have always been administrator accounts What would cause it to say I'm not an administrator now I need to uninstall this firewall so I can use my computer again Thanks

you have to log on as the actual admin not on an account with admin rights

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-290521.html
Relevancy 73.1%

If I'm working on a system with windows XP and let's say it has three user accounts and the system has adware/spyware and/or virus problems.........

Do I have to run scans while under each separate account or do I just do it all under the Administrator account?

Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 73.1%

I download sp-1 and it messed up my machine. I said screw it and reinstalled windows. Now I need to get into a old user account that was password protected. Is there any way to get into that sort of folder. All my files are in there. Please help if you can.

A:Old user accounts in XP

Hi, wyowheels

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Files are files - they are not "in" a user account. Open Explorer and look under the "Documents and settings" folder for a sub-folder with the old user name. If it's there you should have access to it (and all its sub-folders and files) now.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/old-user-accounts-in-xp.95582/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello. I purchased a demo laptop from Office Max running Vista. I would like it to boot up like my desktop computer, which is running XP.
The XP computer goes right to the desktop screen, while the Vista asks which user to boot up. I don't need different user accounts and want Vista to go right to the desktop. Is this possible to do. I would like to get rid of all the present users and just have a generic startup. Thank you.

A:Getting Rid Of User Accounts

hi,,, here is a link on how to delete user accounts on vista,,,, when you have deleted all the accounts you dont want and your left with the one you want then, if you want it to open on boot up then remove the password in user accounts in control panel. I would leave it password protected though, just incase it gets nicked,,,http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2054/vista_...te_user_accountgood luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/166551/getting-rid-of-user-accounts/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have searched trying to match my need to many different setups of user.
I have a new laptop. shared by wife and myself. the account is set to administrator. set up user for myself so that I could have certain programs for my use only. when I try to install say Quicken it also appears in our joint account.
how do I get a user account with only my programs and data files on my desktop and not on the main one we both use.
Larry

A:user accounts

Hi Larry

Welcome to Seven Forums
Could you clarify as to what exactly you would like to do? Do you want to restrict the quicken application to your user account only or do you want to have separate Quicken accounts for both your wife and yourself?

Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/91068-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi, I am setting up another account on my computer for a single reason, so that i can use two iPods on my computer. I want both acccounts to be exactly the same, besides the diffrent desktops and "personal preferences" of the two diffrent people. The problem is that on the new account, not all of the programs in Start>Programs are listed that are on the original. ... Also when i made the new one the desktops had some of the same icons but not all... I would like them to be the same and then go through and take the ones off i dont need, not have to go find them. Also, it seems that when i add an icon to one account, it goes onto the other.... Why does that happen?? thanks for the help
)corjello(
Windows 2000 Professional

A:User Accounts Help

Why isn't all of the programs in the start>programs menu listed in the original account in the new account?
Simply because when you have downloaded or installed programs on your original account you installed it under your name not 'All users'. Just copy across the programs under C\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Start Menu\Programs into C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs.

Why isn't all of the shortcuts on my desktop in the original account the same as in the new account?
Again, simply because in your original account you made the shortcuts under your name not all users. To copy the shortcuts across go to C\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Desktop into C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop.

How do i change my icon?
Go to start, control panel, user accounts, and then choose one Hope I have helped.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-help.348642/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi all -- Control panel gt users shows there are two users me and a guest but when I look in c documents and settings i see other User these What are Accounts? the following user folders administrator alternate default user guest me my name and all users The name of the administrator alternate and guest folders are all colored light blue The other three folders names are in black So does Windows XP create these user folders by default I noticed one subfolder in for example the guest user folder is labeled identity and the folder is named with a long alphanumeric Why do only two users show in Control Panel while other users are named in this other path c What are these other User Accounts? documents and settings etc Is it What are these other User Accounts? safe to delete alternate and default users I found JAVA folders in some of these most JAVA subfolders appear to be empty but a few have files in them I don t want any old JAVA files around Thanks in advance for your input

A:What are these other User Accounts?

<<So, does Windows XP create these user folders by default?>>

Yes, see attachment.

That is just how Windows works. Your questiona about Control Panel/Users...relates to user profiles, persons authorized access/use of the system...the accounts are a subset created for each user, with the username (in my case, Louis) identifying each.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/425356/what-are-these-other-user-accounts/
Relevancy 73.1%

When I first did the initial setup of my new laptop last year, during the setup i was asked to create a user account. i set one up with a password. Im the only one who uses the laptop and do not need this anymore. I want to know how do I make my laptop start up like a desktop. I want to turn it on and it goes right to desktop. If i have to delete user accounts to do this will it keep the files in that account? Will there be any administrative problems if i do this or will that aspect be eliminated and not prompt any administrative needs?

Hi, don't deleate the account but you will have to remove the password. Go to user accounts in control panel and do it from there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/197360/user-accounts/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi i'm a Windows vista user, and i've always liked this little option that Windows+L gives to my gaming capability, eg. running several copies at once.
However i dread the process between switching accounts, as i have 3 small children i have to keep my computer passworded, i wish there was an account manager that you could run, and simliar to alt+tab you could switch between the windows, rather than the alternitive windows vista offers, And it would be really helpful if you could log accounts off from, the account login screen doing this closes all applications ( warned by a "are you sure" (Y) (N) button)... I think i am looking for a preformance based OS.

Does windows 7 have any of the functions i stated above?
Whats all this "Windows 7 was my idea" stuff about, can i have my idea added?

A:Between User Accounts

Hello Perfect, welcome to Seven Forums!

Have you tried ctl+alt+del to change user accounts? Is that what you're asking?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/69277-between-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional accounts Help User please with Service Pack bit Help with User accounts please Processor Intel R Celeron R CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card SiS FX GX Mirage Help with User accounts please Graphics Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard SiS- Antivirus PC Cleaner Pro Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Disabled Hello I am a comlete novice but learning - out of necessity to manage this old girl desktop so I can work No questions asked - this is what i have and need to work with until further notice I bought it from a friend and had a technician repair it for me Alot was wrong when I got it back but I have closely follwed alot of posts on this site and managed to fix alot of the problems Thank you tech guys Obvioussly - I have a space issue - Help with User accounts please so everything beside programs is on an extranal drive I have managed to clear up alot of disk space - now I am looking at the user accounts If I go into advanced - user settings - I see user accounts - adminitrator backup and current - info is spread accross them all - but only user account on start up - is that correct If I run disc clean up - it seems only to clean out one of the accounts If i go into the doc setting folder - there are lots of doubled up files - in user default user my user name and administrator Can i streamline this and how nbsp

Relevancy 73.1%

Hello,

I'm JR1973, I'm a bit of a noob to Windows 7, I'm running Ultimate x64 on my machine and need the advice of some of you guru's.

My query is this, on my machine I am the administrator and my wife and children are users, is there anyway to set user accounts so that software I install and files I download don't cross over to their accounts, when my wife logs in she can use the software that I have installed and access data I have downloaded, when she has no use for it, other than deleting the icons from their desktops I don't know what else to do, I have been through account settings to see if I can control who has access to software installed but I can't find anything.

Thanks in advance fo taking the time to read my post and apologies if it's a repeat subject.

Regards

JR1973

Welcome to the forum JR1973
In fact with your windows7 Ultimate you can use the advantage of Bitlocker or you can use a third party program to encrypt your files.
Good lick

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/156173-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 73.1%

When I open up the user accounts screen on my windows xp the screen shows up but no icons show up and i cant create an account. Does anyone know why?

A:User Accounts

try clicking start, run and type nusrmgr.cpl

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/26022/user-accounts/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hekko
Does Advanced Users Accounts which is started via windows\system32\netplwiz.exe
still relevant.At the moment it shows me as the Administrator and under the Advanced tab you can do other things
If you then navigate to the Control Panel\User Accounts on the left pane there is another advanced user accounts which shows a defauly profile then me as user with the size of my user files although it doesn't actually say that and an update of mine
This is called User Profiles
What is the difference
ptwd

Both are relevant. One will let you set permissions, passwords, etc for an account. The other you can set other properties for profiles. Profile and account are something different.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/186942-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 73.1%

OK the case is this I m a teenager boy at I m living qith my parents and two sisters We share one computer I suppose it s not unusual for boys my age to have sensitive stuff on the computer that I wouldn t like others to know about We currently have win and we haven t created any user accounts so everything is available for anyone and it User accounts s making me nervous I m tired of having to clean my tracks everytime I do something private I m paranoid that my folks are curious of my stuff I have my own folder to which everyone has access User accounts and I no longer want to hide and often lose my personals in countless masked subfolders We are upgrading soon to Windows XP and I thought I might propose to my folks that we make user accounts for everyone However what I ve read from the Microsoft website regarding user accounts is pretty depressing It seems I still can t get the privacy I want I d have to have possession of the only admin account to have my files safe from others and my folks certainly would not approve of that even though I m the only one who ever installs anything on this machine If I had a limited account I d be safe from my sisters but not from my parents who would probably have the admin accounts Also I couldn t install any programs Is there any way to get the privacy I want without taking the privacy away from others All I want is to have my stuff safe from curious eyes and I want to install programs Even better if I could install certain programs for my own use only Is it possible to install user accounts so that no one has admin rights yet everyone can install programs and have their own folders Or do I just have to keep hiding my stuff nbsp

Sounds like a good time to accumulate some knowledge and build your own PC, then network to the family machine for printer and for Internet Connecting sharing purposes only.

You could build or buy second-hand something quite adequate in England for around £80 - in the States components are cheaper.

Total privacy - just don't forget malware protection frrom hackers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts.317332/
Relevancy 73.1%

I've got a friend's puter here to fix. She had gotten it from her dad, and when I tried to install Ad-Aware, it has her fathers name in 'Full Name'. The puter is still listed as registered to him, can I change this to her name?

Thanks

Relevancy 73.1%

Has anyone here ever heard of using 2 user accounts for cookies etc. For example, you use the main account for accessing the net and everything else and you call the other user account called internet which then saves cookies from the other account etc. I do not believe this my self.

I use multiple user accounts, although not for that reason. I want to keep my work and private accounts separate, from software I use to bookmarks and favorites. These both accounts are in English (I'm using Enterprise edition with language packs), I also have additional Finnish and Swedish accounts for occasional work related reasons.

So four accounts for me, plus one Admin account and a German account for my wife's occasional need to use my computer.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/68001-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 73.1%

When you use the "hostname" command at the command line, does the hostname match your account name as seen in "Manage Accounts"? Because mine doesn't match. The hostname I see at the command line isn't even in the list of accounts. I'm wondering if that's why my password is rejected at the command line when I use the RUNAS command. The password works fine when logging into my computer and when I change it through Settings.

The Hostname is the name of the computer, not the name of the user. When you install Windows, it chooses a computer name based on your username. However, once this is set it doesn't change unless you manually change it. This has nothing to do with usernames or passwords.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53687-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 73.1%

When trying to access any user account expect the Administrator account loggin activity loops me back the User Account menu page???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts.730603/
Relevancy 73.1%

--- sorry , didnt know it was against the rules

Relevancy 73.1%

Hi

I reinstalled my OS and opened 4 user accounts, mine being the admin.

Recently, i came to realize that the other accounts didnt operate like mine and had a few problems.

For instance, the limited account users couldnt download stuff from the net and flash player doesnt work in their accounts.(therefore no youtube!).

Whats odd is that it WAS working just a few days ago!

I tried giving all users admin rights, but still had problems with the above mentioned.

I created a new account to check if the new account would work normally. When i tried to log into this new account i got this error msg basically telling me that i have a file missing and to contact the admin!

I could really use your expertise here.

Please do help!

Thanks!

Hi Deepan, it sounds like some third party program(s) are interfering with Windows. Do the symptoms persist when you disable the firewall/anti virus programs when using the other accounts?

Can you remember the name of the file which was in the error message?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-293558.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I am running Windows XP SP2 and I wish to password protect my computer.
When I go to control panel and select user accounts then change the way to log on and off my system will go straight to my desktop when I switch on and the same when I restart the OS.
I cannot get the welcome screen with my name and password box.
Can anyone shed any light on why my system is doing this.

Toby

PS I have reinstalled XP and I still get the same problem.

Hi Tobyspitz

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Start > Run
Key in: control userpasswords2

Place a check mark in: Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer
Apply, OK to save and close.

Reboot to test.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts.541233/
Relevancy 73.1%

hi there, just wondering if anyone out there can help me. I currently have two user accounts set up on my computer, if i was to delete one of these what would happen to the information that is saved in that user account and not in the other? Or is there a way that i can move all data (for example music, photos, word docs etc) that are not in account 1 but are in account 2 then delete account 2?

Hope someone can help,

many thanks

A:Help with user accounts??

If you remove the account, everything will be gone. If you want to save data, move it all to an account you plan to keep.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-user-accounts.708068/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi All, New here, so please bare with me. A few weeks ago, I deleted my husband from the user accounts, and it opted me to keep his files, documents, etc. I opted to keep these because I had some of my own in them. Well, when I deleted his account, all my gifs, pics, siggy's were gone. Can I retreive these back, or are they disappeared forever. Thanks
Goozie

Relevancy 73.1%

First, will it have a bad impact on my laptop performance if I create accounts?

Second, I have heard it is safer to run user space on limited account so how do I transfer ALL my documents to that new limited account?
THANKS!!!!!!!!

A:User Accounts?

Set up a regular account (not adminsitrative) and then give permissions.
Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/168390-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have 2 users . Only mine shows up at login. When I switch users,it goes right back to mine. Mine is a standard user account. My wifes is the administrator. We can not change anything, not even when we go to the administartor account. Very frustrated with this problem. How do I fix this?