Windows Support Forum

skype runs ok in my VISTA HOME BASIC 32BIT, but icon/shortcut of skype in desktop, do

Q: skype runs ok in my VISTA HOME BASIC 32BIT, but icon/shortcut of skype in desktop, do

skype runs ok in my VISTA HOME BASIC 32BIT, but icon/shortcut of skype in desktop, do not seem instead shows a small null icon, well what to do to be seen ?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: skype runs ok in my VISTA HOME BASIC 32BIT, but icon/shortcut of skype in desktop, do

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: skype runs ok in my VISTA HOME BASIC 32BIT, but icon/shortcut of skype in desktop, do

Hello Ise,

You might see if creating a new shortcut for it directly from the .exe file of Skype may work instead.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/230884-skype-runs-ok-my-vista-home-basic-32bit-but-icon-shortcut-skype-desktop-do.html
Relevancy 104.06%

I've experienced some problems and discomfort with skype for win - not able to show screen - terrible design - very slow response i e when I click RMB the menu shows up in works Skype 8 terribly, worse is Win desktop for Skype for several seconds and I expect to see it immideately - doesn't understand links to skype chat like skype chat amp blob blahblahblah when I click it nothing happens I've also Skype for Win 8 works terribly, Skype for desktop is worse tried skype for desktop it was even worse - when I changed online status Skype for Win 8 works terribly, Skype for desktop is worse to invisible i've also tried with N A skype stopped to receive and send messages - when this or another error occurs I try to kill skype process via task manager TM then firstly says that skype is not responding so i am trying to kill process after that TM stops responding as well So when i've tried skype for desktop i had to reboot my laptop about times in a day Now I've installed skype from Store back but I still need to go to skype chat Could anyone please help me either make skype x x work on win or enter the chat which i need Here's my system http i imgur com Fu f png Thanks in advance

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/18920-skype-win-8-works-terribly-skype-desktop-worse.html
Relevancy 99.76%

For the past week my desktop icons (only those that are viewed from the desktop and not from within Explorer) are showing up with a Skype logo over top of the correct icon associated with the file (pdf, mp3, txt, and folders) but not exe files, shortcuts,
Recycle Bin, Computer, or Network.  Oddly enough I just realized that some of the icons for folders on the desktop are correct and some are with the Skype icon and 2 mp4 files are not overwritten...weird!

Of course, I've uninstalled Skype, replaced the shell32.dll with the one from the Windows 7 CD, deleted the IconCache.db file after editing the registry to increase the max icon cache to 2048. I've run Norton AV and MalwareBytes scans with nothing found
(rebooting after each previous step, btw).  I've wasted several days on this to no avail...can anyone help me?! TIA!!
Rod

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/051cb4bc-e373-43a7-a7c5-e995688b9e67/desktop-files-icons-overwritten-with-skype-icon?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 98.47%

I have always used Skype for Desktop and only recently found that there is a Skype Modern App on my system.
From what I have read it would seem the best plan would be to ditch the App and just continue with the desktop version.
Have there been any recent changes that would make the the Modern App a better solution than the Desktop version?

A:Skype for Desktop vs Skype Modern App

They have updated it recently so it doesn't continue to ring even when you have answered the desktop version which is why I uninstalled it in the first place. This means in theory you could install both and answer whichever you felt like at the time.

I prefer the look of the desktop version personally so I never re-installed the Modern App version.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/48219-skype-desktop-vs-skype-modern-app.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I have Laptop and PC connected with lan cabel They are both with Windows Vista Home Basic bit They both have no problems with internet They have the same WORKGROUP names Both have real IPs I see each other on the Network but i can not connect to them it was all OK when I was on XP gt When I try to connect from the Laptop to the PC i recive quot Error code x quot I click on Diagnose and I on 32bit. Network Home Vista Home Basic Problem see this I tried to turn off the Firewall and the NOD antivirus but nothing changed The Sharing and Discovery Settings are OK like this I give share permissions to my network May be I have to install quot Client Home Network Problem on Vista Home Basic 32bit. quot for quot File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks quot but is no listed 'Client' or 'Servise' to use I found I have to allow permissions in the firewall to some ports like -TCP -UDP -UDP -TCP I did this Give me some help how to manage with my network so I can browse both computers copy files and so on Thanks in advance

A:Home Network Problem on Vista Home Basic 32bit.

I can't help but just wondered why you have made another post not long after your first post with exactly the same question ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/201692-home-network-problem-vista-home-basic-32bit.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Hi, Im after buying my first Laptop and was wondering if I could play GTA4 on it????????

My Laptop Specs are;

Brand: Packard Bell
Model: Packard Bell Easy Note MH36-U300 Laptop
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
Processor Type: Intel Pentium Processor T3400
Graphics card: Intel GMA 4500M
Hard disk capacity: 320GB
RAM capacity: 2GB
Speed: 2.16 GHz
Screen size: 15.4?

The windows website advises that the Minimum System Requirements to run the game are:

Minimum System Requirements

OS: Windows Vista- Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements
OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)
18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

Thanks in advance.... Fingers crossed!!

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/227365-help-gta-4-windows-vista-home-basic-32bit.html
Relevancy 93.31%

I am new to forums and have a relatively noob level of computer experience so please be nice I have built a my own pc before but this questions help! Vista Laptop 32bit Home Basic is about my laptop I was given a laptop by a family member who lives in spain I live in the UK Its an Acer Aspire i think laptop running Vista Home Basic in Vista Home Basic 32bit Laptop help! SPANISH I have coped with it since May but its doing my head in now I was thinking of rolling back to XP and reinstalling but they dont publish XP drivers for the laptop so i wondered as I have a valid product key for Basic Home in Spanish if i was to install an English version of Vista on the laptop could I use the product key I have for the spanish version or will it not work obviously i cant simply change language in vista as its Basic and you can only have langauge installed sorry if this is very noobish

A:Vista Home Basic 32bit Laptop help!

hello and welcome

I have never used this but have heard that it works to change the language...Its worth looking at anyway......good luck , Vistalizator - change display language in Windows Vista and Windows 7

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/266083-vista-home-basic-32bit-laptop-help.html
Relevancy 92.45%

greeting My computer is not sleeping properely Vista problem 32bit basic sleep home when I go to bed at night i put the computer to sleep When I wake up it is already awake Nobody else lives with me so that is ruled out When I first got the computer from dell a few years ago I noticed a error with the sleep feature it would turn on and off many times this was before I had hooked it up to the internet Anyhow that issue seems to have went away when I called dell and they came out to fix it the coumputer Vista home basic 32bit sleep problem was sleeping fine so I do not understand what I may of did to it I do have VOIP phone but I have checked that asap after the computer was in sleep mode and I still have dialtone I thought it might be virus scanner but Vista home basic 32bit sleep problem it was shut off last night and the same issue I just went and figured out how to fix the hibernation feature since it was deleted and will see if that feature works instead but if you have any comments please add My Vista home basic 32bit sleep problem computer is up to date with all the updates minus IE beta

A:Vista home basic 32bit sleep problem

Hello Bmarker, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might check through the items in the tutorial below to see what may have woken your computer up. I would recommend to try the STEP 4 section first to see if it may let you know quicker.

Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/284878-vista-home-basic-32bit-sleep-problem.html
Relevancy 90.73%

so is there any differenced between thses two and I nedd both of them?

A:Do I need both Skype app and Skype for desktop?

Unless you are on an RT tablet I would just use the desktop version, from the reviews the app is not very good, perhaps after some future updates it will be better.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/16445-do-i-need-both-skype-app-skype-desktop.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I don't understand what are the benefits of using UWP vs desktop apps (like Viber and Skype) and having two versions installed on my PC seems a bit strange.

A:Should I use Skype UWP or Skype Desktop app on my PC?

The future is the UWP app. It will be replacing the desktop app. Benefits are notification integration and security.
I would go with the new app. It appears to work well here as a preview, and only expect it to get better.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/435964-should-i-use-skype-uwp-skype-desktop-app-my-pc.html
Relevancy 90.3%

My Compaq Presario SR WM Explorer corrupt Home system? my (32bit) Vista on Is Basic Windows is doing some strange things If you try to delete a file it sends it to the recycle bin but then sits there with the quot recycling quot window open forever At least for as long as I let it which so far has been hours If you try to cancel or shut down the window it goes to the quot canceling quot window and sits there forever The only way to make it stop is to do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE go to the Task Manager and tell it to force shutdown of the process At that point it shuts down Windows Explorer and restarts it The file or files are deleted but what is going on Does the same thing for renaming files Endless loops unless you force Windows Explorer to close This is awkward and time consuming at best I did a search for this kind of problem and the the result I got was to run SFC SCANNOW to find corrupted or damaged files and then reload them from the original Vista disk There is no original Vista disk Computer came without one from Wal Mart The scan is running as we type but what can I do if it finds corrupted files BTW I was going to do a System Recover but I don't know the Administrator password I never put one in when I got the system but there seems to one in place Now what Keith Is Windows Explorer corrupt on my Vista Home Basic (32bit) system?

A:Is Windows Explorer corrupt on my Vista Home Basic (32bit) system?

When you mention System Recover, are you talking about restoring to a System restore point? If so, you would run that from Safe Mode.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/303090-windows-explorer-corrupt-my-vista-home-basic-32bit-system.html
Relevancy 90.3%

with VISTA HOME BASIC 32BIT (laptop) may connect WLAN ( Thomson tg585 v7 modem/router) with VISTA 32BIT HOME PREMIUM (desktop) ? May share printer or files Wirelesslyif modem is connected to desktop ?

Basically what ever we do via cables/LAN we may do via wireless/WLAN for networking (with above PCs&Modem) ?

A:VISTA HOME BASIC 32BIT - WLAN - share printer or files, can I ?

this woulnt be a problem at all

you can do sharing just like you would wit cables

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/233153-vista-home-basic-32bit-wlan-share-printer-files-can-i.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Windows 7 32 Bitand Skype 5.0 new version of Skype no more freezing lost other topic. I am so happy finally skype works on Windows 7 32 Bit Home Premium

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-32-bitand-skype-5-0-new-version-of-skype-no-more-freezing-lost-other-topic.155047/
Relevancy 89.01%

Dear I noticed that skype has send to all skype in skype send to scan cannot - account spam skype safety contacts all page load contacts a certain link to one contact even multiply links this all happens on the same day th december from - I haven't seen any spam send anymore after that Skype support told me to reset my password I did and to download safety scanner from microsoft they proviced me with the link spam send in skype account to all skype contacts - cannot load page safety scan when I try to open the link the browser cannot load the page it is stuck in a loop sometimes I see a page but just for a second or even less then mostly white page and browser keeps trying to load the page and in chrome a little shield symbol on the right side of the address bar says that it's trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources this message dissappears very quickly I have skype installed on two laptops and on my smartphone iphone The problem I told about is on one laptop that has no antivirus I did not yet checked the other laptop if the microsoft page opens or not but I do have bitdefender internet security paid installed on the second laptop I want to be sure the laptop that has the problem is virusfree Scanresultaten van Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Versie - - Gestart door Momo Beheerder op MOMOSONYLAPTOP - - Gestart vanaf C Users Momo Desktop Geladen Profielen Momo Beschikbare Profielen Momo amp Nora amp MomoSurf Platform Windows Home Premium Service Pack X Taal Nederlands Nederland Internet Explorer Versie Standaardbrowser Chrome Boot Modus Normal Handleiding voor Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Processen gefilterd Als een item is opgenomen in de fixlist het proces zal worden gesloten Het bestand zal niet worden verplaatst AMD C Windows System atiesrxx exe AMD C Windows System atieclxx exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows System wlanext exe Advanced Micro Devices C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Reservation Manager AMD Reservation Manager exe Apple Inc C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe Atheros C Program Files x Bluetooth Suite Ath CoexAgent exe Atheros Commnucations C Program Files x Bluetooth Suite AdminService exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files x Microsoft BingBar SeaPort EXE Apple Inc C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows SysWOW svchost exe AnchorFree Inc C Program Files x Hotspot Shield bin cmw srv exe AnchorFree Inc C Program Files x Hotspot Shield bin hsswd exe Paramount Software UK Ltd C Program Files Macrium Reflect ReflectService exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files x Microsoft Application Virtualization Client sftvsa exe TeamViewer GmbH C Program Files x TeamViewer TeamViewer Service exe Popcorn Time C Program Files x Popcorn Time Updater exe Microsoft Corp C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE Advanced Micro Devices Inc C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Fuel Fuel Service exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files x Microsoft Application Virtualization Client sftlist exe Microsoft Corp C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVCM EXE Microsoft Corporation C Program Files x Common Files microsoft shared Virtualization Handler CVHSVC EXE TeamViewer GmbH C Program Files x TeamViewer TeamViewer exe Conexant Systems Inc C Program Files CONEXANT cAudioFilterAgent cAudioFilterAgent exe Atheros Communications C Program Files x Bluetooth Suite BtvStack exe Atheros Commnucations C Program Files x Bluetooth Suite AthBtTray exe Synaptics Incorporated C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe Apple Inc C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe Hewlett-Packard Co C Program Files x HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe PIXELA CORPORATION C Program Files x PIXELA VideoBrowser CameraMonitor exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe Evernote Corp Walnut St... Read more

A:spam send in skype account to all skype contacts - cannot load page safety scan

I downloaded the safety scanner from microsoft from my other laptop without any issue.

copied it to a usb, put it on the problem laptop, a full scan and nothing found.

I realize I did had a antivirus paid version (kaspersky internet securuity) on the laptop, as I first said that it had no antivirus.

I only disabled it because it had problems running.

Now I enabled it, updated it and run a full scan. nothing found.

I don't know if skype is the cause and not a virus?  the skype workers told me that the cause could be anything (email, virus on computer).

I mostly use skype on iphone, and here I'm confused with what the skype workers said: one said that iphone can not be infected, so no need to check the iphone.
an other said: you can download an app from app store to scan for viruses, because it is possible that the virus is on the iphone.

This is really not clear anymore.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600944/spam-send-in-skype-account-to-all-skype-contacts-cannot-load-page-safety-scan/
Relevancy 88.58%

I have 8.1. I installed Skype in my typical folders of "c:\programs" (I never install in "program files" unless program is forced to do so. All associated files should be, as they are coded, in "C:\Users\main\AppData\Roaming\Skype."My question....Will uninstalling the Metro Skype from its (memory hogging, fake) desktop affect, in anyway, my actual Skype (including logs)?Thank you.I reply as fast as I can, but it could be hours or months. Always busy.

A:Uninstall Windows 8 Metro Skype Affect Regular Skype?

Well for starters you shouldn't really install two versions of Skype on the same PC.Uninstall both, then install the version you prefer.Accept the default install location as I can see no good reason for doing otherwise.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/uninstall-windows-8-metro-skype-affect-regular-skype/1784.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Skype asked me to link my account with Hotmail and then wouldn't accept my login. When i tried resetting the password, Skype said it would send the code to my phone, then to my secondary email. i received neither notification and now Skype has locked me out.
Help?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/445198-had-link-hotmail-skype-accounts-skype-now-not-letting-me-log.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Skype will use CPU and become unresponsive when I attempt to make a voice call I think it could be malware but I m not sure Here are the logs and thanks a million if anyone can help ---- Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons QLBCtrl exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqToaster exe C Program Files x Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exe C Users Simeon AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C a make I call Computer fine until runs Skype Users Simeon AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Simeon AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Simeon AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Simeon AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Simeon AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Simeon AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Computer runs fine until I make a Skype call Simeon AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Simeon AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Computer runs fine until I make a Skype call Simeon Desktop Downloads HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO AskBar BHO - f d - - d - c -aa e ed - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files x Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - BHO SkypeIEPluginBHO - AE - E C- ED - F B-F F A - C Program Files x Skype Toolbars Internet Explorer skypeieplugin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files x Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dll O - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - Toolbar Ask Toolbar - d e-fd b- e -b - d b f - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dll O - Toolbar Google Toolbar - C B - - d - B - A CD F - C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - HKLM Run QlbCtrl exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons QlbCtrl exe Start O - HKLM Run WirelessAssistant C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Wireless Assistant HPWAMain exe O - Startup AutorunsDisabled O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra context menu item Google Sidewiki - res C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar Component GoogleToolbarDynamic mui en D B AC dll cmsidewiki html O - Extra button Send to OneNote - A- - f c- - EE C C - C PROGRA MICROS Office ONBttnIE dll O - Extra Tools menuitem S amp end to OneNote - A- - f c- - EE C C - C PROGRA MICROS Office ONBttn... Read more

A:Computer runs fine until I make a Skype call

Hi,Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. You can subscribe by clicking the Options box to the right of your topic title and selecting Track This Topic.

Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

Please reply to this post so I know you are there.The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/358574/computer-runs-fine-until-i-make-a-skype-call/
Relevancy 86.43%

I am attempting a new installation of Skype 4.1 on a Dell Latitude E6400 with XP Pro. All goes well until the very end of the installation. At that point I get a message box with Shortcut Setup - Fatal Error During Installation.
I have tried a re-install several times plus have tried the Windows Install Cleanup Utility (Microsoft) and a Registry Cleaner (Ace Utilities) as suggested in other postings.
Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/skype-fatal-installation-error-shortcut-setup.865896/
Relevancy 86%

Hey guys, I've been getting BSOD's ever since I set up dual monitors but I'm not sure if thats the cause even, the things that appear in the minidump file hint towards AMD drivers/Direct X. I've already uninstalled the drivers & CCC and used driver sweeper in safe mode, wiped all remenants of the drivers and did a fresh install of them again yet I still kept getting this BSOD. Also the only AV I have installed is MS Security Essentials. I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction to fix this. .

Note: These BSODs only happen when I'm doing nothing intensive, such as skype/ms word/browsing the web on chrome. NEVER happened during any of my gaming sessions which I found odd.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Hardware:

MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB PE/OC edition
mobo: Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3
CPU: i5 2500
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16 GB (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)

A:BSOD while doing basic things such as skype/web browsing/ms word

Quote:
"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps

STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/228811-bsod-while-doing-basic-things-such-skype-web-browsing-ms-word.html
Relevancy 86%

My skype contacts are missing with newest skype and the support gives me
"Carissa M.
First, ensure that you are signed in with the correct Skype Name." 
Could anyone upload skype 6.1 or lower please... 
Also does anyone know why the skype crashes when trying to login with microsoft account on newest version 6.3.60.105
Thanks 

A:Skype retarded support: Anyone upload Skype 6.1

You can find 6.1 online with a quick google search, such as at http://www.filepuma.com/download/skype_6.1.0.129-2261/For even older versions: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/skype-5-9-0-123Don't have version 6.3 to verify the crash issue using the microsoft log in.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489664/skype-retarded-support-anyone-upload-skype-61/
Relevancy 85.14%

My Skype desktop shortcut is blacked out. How can I restore it to the Skype motif?

A:Skype icon

rebuild the icon cache: Icon Cache - Rebuild

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/skype-icon-1099745.html
Relevancy 84.28%

hi...

Recently reformatted Windows XP Pro. Since then when i login to skype (build 41.0.179) the systray icon disappears although Skype is running in Task Manager.

Hijackthis report attached.

Thanks for any help!

A:Skype. Systray icon.

Welcome to the BleepingComputer Forums. Since it has been a few days since you scanned your computer with HijackThis, we will need a new HijackThis log. If you have not already downloaded Random's System Information Tool (RSIT), please download Random's System Information Tool (RSIT) by random/random which includes a HijackThis log and save it to your desktop. If you have RSIT already on your computer, please run it again. Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT. Click Continue at the disclaimer screen. Please post the contents of log.txt. Thank you for your patience.Please see Preparation Guide for use before posting about your potential Malware problem. If you have already posted this log at another forum or if you decide to seek help at another forum, please let us know. There is a shortage of helpers and taking the time of two volunteer helpers means that someone else may not be helped. Please post your HijackThis log as a reply to this thread and not as an attachment. I am always leery of opening attachments so I always request that HijackThis logs are to be posted as a reply to the thread. I do not think that you are attaching anything scary but others may do so. While we are working on your HijackThis log, please: Reply to this thread; do not start another! Do not make any changes on your computer during the cleaning process or download/add programs on your computer unless instructed to do so. Do not run any other tool until instructed to do so! Let me know if any of the links do not work or if any of the tools do not work. Tell me about problems or symptoms that occur during the fix. Do not run any other programs or open any other windows while doing a fix. Ask any questions that you have regarding the fix(es), the infection(s), the performance of your computer, etc.Thanks.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/275952/skype-systray-icon/
Relevancy 83.42%

i think im infected with extended icon on skype and i cant get ride of it. Please help.

A:i think im infected with extended icon on skype

allow me to clarify    I know doveirene 22,

she has a continuing repeat episode of the following popping into her skype chat conversation

Please download the extension here:(htpp address) Your skype does not support extended icons. Please download the extension here

we were not able to find a clear solution on internet searching ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509785/i-think-im-infected-with-extended-icon-on-skype/
Relevancy 83.42%

DDS Ver - - - NTFS x Internet Explorer Run by Administrator at on - - Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - Running Processes C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files AVG SafeGuard toolbar vprot exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files Internet Download Manager IDMan exe C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamservice exe C WINDOWS system rserver RServer exe C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamgui exe C WINDOWS system rserver FamItrfc Exe C Program Files Common Files AVG Secure Search vToolbarUpdater ToolbarUpdater exe C Program Files Yahoo SoftwareUpdate YahooAUService exe C Program Files Common Files AVG Secure Search vToolbarUpdater loggingserver exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C Documents and Settings Administrator TOSHIBA- B Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Administrator TOSHIBA- B Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Administrator TOSHIBA- B Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Administrator TOSHIBA- B Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe C Documents and Settings Administrator TOSHIBA- B Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Administrator TOSHIBA- B Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Administrator TOSHIBA- B Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome skype Infected extended icon on with Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Administrator TOSHIBA- B Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome Infected with extended icon on skype exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k NetworkService C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalService C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp websearch searchere info pid amp r amp hid amp lg EN amp cc PH amp unqvl uSearch Page hxxp ph rd yahoo com customize ycomp defaults sp http ph yahoo com mStart Page hxxp websearch searchere info pid amp r amp hid amp lg EN amp cc PH amp unqvl mDefault Page URL Infected with extended icon on skype hxxp ph yahoo com fr mkg uInternet Connection Wizard ShellNext iexplore uSearchURL Default hxxp ph rd yahoo com customize ycomp defaults su http ph yahoo com BHO Infected with extended icon on skype IDM integration IDMIEHlprObj Class C - - B-A BF- B C A A - c program files internet download manager IDMIECC dll BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper D -C F - efb- B - ECA - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO AVG SafeGuard toolbar B C- C F- BF -B - A - c program files avg safeguard toolbar AVG SafeGuard toolbar toolbar dll TB lt No Name gt E DF BFF- A - EB -A - ED E D - LocalServer - lt no file gt TB Yahoo Toolbar EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll TB AVG SafeGuard toolbar B C- C F- BF -B - A - c program files avg safeguard toolbar AVG SafeGuard toolbar toolbar dll TB Yahoo Toolbar EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll uRun Google Update c documents and settings administrator toshiba- b local settings application data google update GoogleUpdate exe c uRun Skype c program files skype phone Skype exe minimized regrun uRun Messenger Yahoo c progra yahoo messenger YahooMessenger exe -quiet uRun IDMan c program files internet download manager IDMan exe onboot uRun LiveSupport c program files livesupport LiveSupport exe noshow log mRun vProt c program files avg safeguard tool... Read more

A:Infected with extended icon on skype

Duplicate topic in AII, problem resolved.

This topic is closed.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509909/infected-with-extended-icon-on-skype/
Relevancy 82.99%

I have both on my Windows 10 pc and only Skype Preview seems to actually work. What's really weird is I can't find much about either online, so I'm not even sure if Messaging + Skype is being continued or even still functional. Does it require a companion phone app to work? (I use Android). Messaging + Skype can't seem to find any of my Skype contacts while Skype Preview can.
Just really confused on how barebones and non-functional this all seems, even after some Googling. Can anyone shed some light for me?

A:Skype Preview vs. Messaging + Skype

Messaging + skype has been discontinued. Everything will be focused on Skype Preview now
Links: http://www.windowscentral.com/skype-...d-mobile-works http://www.windowscentral.com/messag...versary-update
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438562-skype-preview-vs-messaging-skype.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Not so much a software support question, but this is the best I could figure it'd go into... but if I have an Office 365 subscription that includes 60 minutes of Skype calling a month, do I still need to purchase a Skype number so people can call me and for people to know who's calling them?

I tested it out as it is right now and when I call my dad's phone, says "Unknown caller."

http://www.pchelpforum.com/software-support/126213-skype-calling-skype-number.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I have tried everything imaginable to get rid of these two.  I can delete Skype via 
control panel, but it comes back and re-installs itself.  
Click to call will not go away.  When I try to use the control panel I get a message that 
says, "close Chrome browsers to uninstall".   I've tried doing that and still get that same message.
I've even uninstalled Chrome and re-installed it with the same result.
These two are like a bad dream.   
Any help with completely deleting both would be appreciated.

Regards, 
Len

A:I can't get rid of Skype or Skype Click To Call!!

If you haven't followed the instructions given in link below....try that.
How can I completely uninstall and then reinstall Skype for Windows desktop?

You can also try using Revo in Advanced Mode to remove Skype.
Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585550/i-cant-get-rid-of-skype-or-skype-click-to-call/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello

I have two xp pro systems one desktop and laptop, and a new laptop running Vista Home Premium 32bit the xp pro computers will share no problem, they will even see my vista laptop (I shared my dvd drive and a few folders) xp to vista share is okay
I can not get my Vista laptop to see either xp pro computer desktop or xp laptop, the newtork name is correct on all three I have spent over 3 hrs. trying to get it to work.

I did about 1 1/2 yrs ago desktop power supply died and just now got around to fixing it, did not really need it so I was not in a hurry

I use zone alarm for firewalls and have turned all off and still no luck

Any help would be great
Thanks

A:Need to network XP pro Desktop with Vista Home Premium 32bit

Hi tonyzz, and welcome to the Vista Forums

As you have sharing one way it could be the "new" methods used by vista for network discovery that is causing the problem.

Microsoft have released a patch for XP to allow vista machines to see them in the Sharing Center

Download details: Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

You can also try to connect using the Start menu Seach bar - enter the address in the form \\severname\sharename and Vista Should find it

Hope this helps

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/212061-need-network-xp-pro-desktop-vista-home-premium-32bit.html
Relevancy 82.56%

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/52/83871820.png

It is killing me when it is on.

No matter what I do - minimize or close skype it still stays there like if it was open. This is the only program that does it.

On the other hand if you look to the right I have a utorrent icon and utorrent is running, but at least it is not on the taskbar panel. That's the way I want my skype. I want it running, but not on the task bar.

So I got two questions for you:
1) Is it some kind of glitch that only I have, or is is a "skype thing"?
2) Is it possible to make it the way I want it?

Thanks... All help and comments are greatly appreciated.

A:[SOLVED] Skype icon on the task bar problem.

Someone has already helped me with this

In Skype, go to Tools -> Options.
Then, click on Advanced tab to go to Advanced settings.
Uncheck and untick the Keep Skype in the taskbar while I?m signed in option.
Click Save button, and the Skype button or icon will be removed from Taskbar on minimize.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-skype-icon-on-the-task-bar-problem-505606.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I've recently had Norton Anti-virus and when i went to get my live updates of them wouldn't install I wasnt too worried about this because i figured i'd uninstall it and re-install it to see if it fixes the errors Instead of this being an easy task before it would finish updating i kept getting this error PUBLIC Desktop i decided to get rid of Norton and use Avast because i dont have time to fool around but now the problem has come back and its stopping me from installing Windows Microsoft Office I cant run it from the disk so i opened the setup exe folder as an admin to run it and i keep getting the Error PUBLIC Desktop message i cant find anything on it and all the forums i do find are for XP I'm also having trouble with my desktop because i cant rename my folders If i change the name it'll automatically switch back If i create a new folder and try to change the name it wont let me either It'll either switch back to New Folder or it'll say that folder name that i create doesnt exist Id appreciate it if anyone could help me or if you know of any other sites with info related to my issue

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-home-basic-error-1606-public-desktop-353822.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi guys & gals, yup another Nubie, so be gentle with me!
Been following the forum for a few day's - you're 'awesome', really.

I would like to convert my 32bit Home Basic,SR5019UK Presario into a 64bit machine, with Windows 7 Home Premium. Is it possible, am I crazy? Yes, I'm new to computers!

Having checked through the various channels, its possible. But with a M2N68-LA motherboard, 2.5G and 'Basic' other components, I will maybe have to change a few things?

I really would appreciate your feedback and 'constructive advice. As economically as possible, sure, but I realise 'I can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear', as they say, where I live!

So come on guys give us the benefit of all your expertiseee, pleaseee.

A:32bit Home Basic into 64bit win.7 Home Premium?

Welcome
Dont guess, dont even rely on us, find out for sure
Free Download PC Upgrade Advisor Windows 7 Hardware Programs Issues

If you do upgrade, do so with the much cheaper upgrade DVD, not the full retail.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...on.html?filter[2]=General Tips
Follow the above tut and the results are the same

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287420-32bit-home-basic-into-64bit-win-7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 79.98%

so i downloaded skype 2 days ago. i installed it but when i try to start it it just says:serious error during installation,and closes.i try to uninstall it for re-install byt then it says:installer has insufficient privileges to modify file c/program file/skype/desktop.ini.i go to that location and it has no desktop.ini named file.i try to start it again it says something like path doesnt exist. help? i am administrator on computer i have vista.suggestions,question etc. is mostly welcome here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/skype-and-desktop-ini.897085/
Relevancy 79.55%

no idea why...

why would any model of usb phone (i have three) suddenly stop working on skype on xp home desktop, but keep working on xp pro laptop...?

xp home does recognise and install the device, but if i listen to the speaker (earpiece) of the usb phone(s) all i hear is scrambled noise vaguley resemebling speech as spoken...?

any ideas ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/skype-usb-phones-work-on-xp-pro-but-not-xp-home.1000685/
Relevancy 79.55%

I'm looking for a skype like tool to use over my home LAN Your Skype - home LAN possible? for Viop alternative Only or definition of a LAN may be different than mine what I'm calling a LAN is Skype or Viop alternative for home LAN Only - possible? my home network which is simply two different computers plugged into my AT amp T modem router one plugged in by hardwire and one on wireless My thinking is this I need to chat and video with family Skype or Viop alternative for home LAN Only - possible? at home no one else but i Skype or Viop alternative for home LAN Only - possible? don't want the chat audio and video going out over the internet then coming back to my house before we receive the data that takes too long and there are delays due to low bandwidth I'm seeking to avoid this by keeping all the data from leaving my house and going out to the internet I have looked at SIP tools like Linphone but when i signed up and set it up nowhere does it ask me for any LAN information It never asks me for or tries to detect any LAN settings - it looks like it's going out over the internet to some SIP servers someplace thats simply not going to work Any ideas Thanks

A:Skype or Viop alternative for home LAN Only - possible?

Bump.. can no one help me with this?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/40845-skype-viop-alternative-home-lan-only-possible.html
Relevancy 79.12%

So simply put, I cannot use skype for desktop. The app version that is preinstalled, I can't use because it drives me insane so uninstalled it, however, it IS STILL blocking skype for desktop from working. I've attached a screeenshot to show you what I mean.

Is there a way to get rid of the app version of skype since clearly uninstalling it did nothing.

Just to provide a bit more info, no, I am NOT already signed in on my pc.

EDIT: More info, once it "breaks" it starts a skype process which I cannot kill until reboot.

A:W8 app blocks SKYPE FOR DESKTOP

Sign in to Skype on any other computer or smartphone, open chat with anybody and send:

Code:
/remotelogout

That should log you out from all sessions except for the current one.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/26019-w8-app-blocks-skype-desktop.html
Relevancy 78.69%

When I log on I get the message

c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop refers to a location that is unavailable.

Also, my printer program has gone

c:\programfiles\Lexmark5400series\ixctmon.exe abnormal program termination.

The problems all started from Symantec(Norton).

Please help. I can't work.

A:Desktop has disappeared (Vista home basic) system restore doesn't help. Any boffins

Originally Posted by GoingMyWay

When I log on I get the message

c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop refers to a location that is unavailable.

Also, my printer program has gone

The problems all started from Symantec(Norton).

Please help. I can't work.

Originally Posted by GoingMyWay

Help Please, I am using vista home basic and had subscribed to a free 90 day trial to Norton Internet Security. After successfully installing it there was a security risk I could not resolve. I went on to the Norton help site and had a live chat with a helper.

I foolishly gave him permission to access my computer to fix the fault at his end. He did resolve the security issue but to complete everything I had to restart my computer. After logging in as administrator all of my desktop icons had disappeared. (except the recycle bin). Even my sidebar has gone.

I have tried system restore 3 times to no avail. I have tried getting in touch with Norton again but I keep getting messed about. Also my printer program has disappeared.

The messages that pop up after restart are as follows:-

c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. blah blah blah.

Also:-

Although my programs are still in the start menu, there is nowhere/no desktop to put them on.

Please help

P.S Sorry for the boring essay

Hi GoingMyWay,

First, I would uninstall Norton completely. It has been know to cause problems with Vista. If it does not uninstall cleanly, you can use the Norton Removal Tool . You might consider using the free Avast antivirus program instead.
http://avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Since you let someone have access to your computer remotely that you did not know, I would recommend that you run a full virus and malware scan.

You then will probably need to run a Repair Install. This tutorial will show you how.
How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista

After this, you will need to reinstall your printer program.

If all this still fails, then you will only be left with doing a complete clean reinstall of Vista. Be sure to backup anything you do want to lose first.

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/106055-desktop-has-disappeared-vista-home-basic-system-restore-doesnt-help-any-boffins.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Long time user of combofix and IT Professional Call me stumped This PC was sending out skype.com to google.com, a Going as to set page, forwards using home me or link, emails to go to hxxttp webnewstv com wp-content plugins extended-comment-options mywork php railroad gif I really don t recomend on clicking on that it forwards you to like different places and you finnily end up at some fake news report on making tons of money by doing nothing for google One other odd thing it was doing is if you went to google com you get forwarded to skype com Also if you go to yahoo com and take a link to anything that is www google com or Going to google.com, using a link, or set as home page, forwards me to skype.com google com you end up at skype com If you go to maps google com there isn t an issue Thus Far I have ran TDSSKiller ComboFix Norton Power Ereaser and seleceted everything in hijackthis except mcsse but I have the real-time scanner diabled Attached are all the logs you ask for and in the order you ask for them in most of the post I saw tryign to find this issue elsewhere nbsp ComboFix zip nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads Thank you in advance for any help you have to offer ----Stumpped

A:Going to google.com, using a link, or set as home page, forwards me to skype.com

I keep seeing only post logs, don't attach anything.
combofix:
ComboFix 12-03-13.01 - Owner 03/13/2012 11:46:44.1.2 - x86
Microsoft? Windows Vista? Home Premium 6.0.6002.2.1252.1.1033.18.2814.1797 [GMT -6:00]
Running from: f:\pc fixing\ComboFix.exe
AV: Microsoft Security Essentials *Disabled/Updated* {108DAC43-C256-20B7-BB05-914135DA5160}
SP: Microsoft Security Essentials *Disabled/Updated* {ABEC4DA7-E46C-2F39-81B5-AA334E5D1BDD}
SP: Windows Defender *Disabled/Outdated* {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2012-02-13 to 2012-03-13 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2012-03-13 17:52 . 2012-03-13 17:52 -------- d-----w- c:\users\Default\AppData\Local\temp
2012-03-12 21:02 . 2012-02-08 06:03 6552120 ----a-w- c:\programdata\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\{950160AF-BCC3-4C63-BFF5-8C98C0CC4EF5}\mpengine.dll
2012-02-15 13:27 . 2011-12-14 16:17 680448 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
2012-02-15 13:27 . 2012-01-12 19:52 2044416 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys
2012-02-15 13:27 . 2011-12-20 10:56 2409784 ----a-w- c:\program files\Windows Mail\OESpamFilter.dat
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2012-02-11 00:50 . 2012-02-11 00:51 713784 ------w- c:\programdata\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\{A51A90B2-1A54-4269-A4E6-C52409D3A195}\gapaengine.dll
2012-02-08 06:03 . 2011-06-11 20:47 6552120 ----a-w- c:\programdata\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Backup\mpengine.dll
2012-01-31 12:44 . 2009-10-02 17:34 237072 ------w- c:\windows\system32\MpSigStub.exe
2011-12-14 22:14 . 2011-12-14 22:14 677136 ----a-w- c:\programdata\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCESpotlight\MCESpotlight\SpotlightResources.dll
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MSC"="c:\program files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" [2011-06-15 997920]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system]
"EnableUIADesktopToggle"= 0 (0x0)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MsMpSvc]
@="Service"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Wdf01000.sys]
@="Driver"
[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^ProgramData^Microsoft^Windows^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk]
path=c:\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk.CommonStartup
backupExtension=.CommonStartup
[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^ProgramData^Microsoft^Windows^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Kodak EasyShare software.lnk]
path=c:\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Kodak EasyShare software.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\Kodak EasyShare software.lnk.CommonStartup
backupExtension=.CommonStartup
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Adobe Reader Speed Launcher]
2008-06-12 09:38 34672 ----a-w- c:\program files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\ArcSoft Connection Service]
2010-0... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/446131/going-to-googlecom-using-a-link-or-set-as-home-page-forwards-me-to-skypecom/
Relevancy 77.4%

Does anyone know if there is a version of Skype that will run on Vista Home Premium?

A:Skype on Vista

I have Skype On Vista Home Prem. No Problem works great. Make sure its the latest version.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/skype-on-vista.603144/
Relevancy 77.4%

Every time a friend of mine uses Skype her whole system freezes up. Any ideas would be appreciated. She needs Skype for a job. TIA.

A:Vista and Skype

Hi,

You havnt really gave much info,

Can you post her computer specs? How long has she has had this problem?

Thanks,

Jay.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-and-skype-171888.html
Relevancy 76.54%

My It guru just reinstalled Skype for me, and is now somewhere far away.
I just realized that this fragment from Skype's dropdown for Tools is now stuck firmly on my desktop, and it overrides everything - or perhaps I mean it stays on top of everything I open.
Does anyone have any understanding of this, please ? - and can you advise me how to get it off the desktop ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-segment-from-skype-stuck-on-win7-desktop.1134064/
Relevancy 76.54%

So I have a problem with a fake update pop-up It's the last thing that's left from something else I do not recall exactly what it was but Mobogenie does sound familiar I wanted on update!" Adobe/Skype "Download desktop?! my pop-up Bullbleep to download a program that allowed me to Bullbleep "Download Adobe/Skype update!" pop-up on my desktop?! open a file I thought it was some sort of text file I needed for a thesis in school but it turned out to be a frikkin picture so I got nothing for my troubles and apart for letting me open the file it installed a bunch of other crap It messed with my Chrome and made their own search engine my primary I removed all of it using what little skill I have basic search CCcleaner and Norton Antivirus scan and after that everything seemed fine However I have these pesky pop-ups that tells me to download the latest updates for various programs and I can't seem to find where this program is hiding It pops up every now and then I use Skype quite a lot and it seems to pop up after I quit the program Not always though and it's a greyish pop-up in the right-hand corner of my desktop It says that there are new updates available and it's clickable I did click it once to see where it took me and I landed on a download page for a bunch of crap So no it doesn't even send me to a fake Adobe Skype page I can click the x which I have been doing for a while now I thought I would be able to find the exe but so far I've come up empty handed I am on Windows Ultimate and this pop-up does NOT appear whilst browsing it is solely doing its business on my desktop Unfortunately I don't have a print screen but if I see the pop-up later I'll add it to this topic Kind Regards

A:Bullbleep "Download Adobe/Skype update!" pop-up on my desktop?!

Welcome aboard   Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop. Double-click SecurityCheck.exe Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.NOTE 2 SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me. Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSystem RestoreSecurity Center/Action CenterWindows UpdateWindows DefenderOther ServicesPress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply. Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Devices (do NOT change any settings here)List Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop.* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.* Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtDownload Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from HERE to your Desktop.Unzip downloaded file.Open the folder where the contents were unzipped and run mbar.exeFollow the instructions in the wizard to update and allow the program to scan your computer for threats.DO NOT click on the Cleanup button. Simply exit the program.When done, please post the two logs produced they will be in the MBAR folder..... mbar-log-xxxxx.txt and system-log.txt Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.If using Vista or Windows 7 right-click on it and choose Run As Administrator.A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.Do not reboot until instructed.If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.If normal mode still doesn't work, run the tool from safe mode.When the scan is done Notepad will open with rKill log.Post it in your next reply.NOTE. rKill.txt log will also be present on your desktop.NOTE Do NOT wrap your logs in "quote" or "code" brackets.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523961/bullbleep-download-adobeskype-update-pop-up-on-my-desktop/
Relevancy 76.54%

I have been using Skype paid calls for business usage and have huge problems with the Other side not hearing me well or at all. It used to work OK but now I have to restart hub or reconnect or just wait . This is for calls to International. If I call skype to skype it is OK most of time. My provider BT has checked all hub settings and network seems fine. I am about to give up on skype to non skype as a business option and the fact I am spending good money and cant get instant support really doesnt help. I am out of ideas
Using Vista with Broadband wireless hub and have good connection with other devices.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/skype-to-non-skype-no-quality.821193/
Relevancy 76.54%

I m helping a friend out with her computer - and Vista! hates Skype we ve encountered quite the problem She has a HP Pavillion laptop with Windows Vista on it The problem occured when we were trying to install Skype The download went like it was supposed to and the creation of the account - apart from one thing the system refuses to acknowledge the Skype hates Vista! program And once we managed to get the window up it refused to let her log in - and just repeated that there was no registered account with that username or password We ve already tried to uninstall Skype and then reinstall it We ve requested a new password We ve restarted the computer a million times My question is is Vista the problem or is it perhaps the firewall and anti-virus software Or could it simply be some kind of error in Skype itself I have never had this problem before And I have Vista on one of my PC s - and it has worked flawlessly the whole time We simply don t know what to try next - and it s of the utmost importance to get it to work a-s-a-p She uses the program in her work and regularly attends video conferences on Skype She also need it to speak to friends in India who doesn t have the money to make that kind of call on a regular phone Thankful for whatever help you can offer nbsp

A:Skype hates Vista!

heres a bunch of good information.. http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=33274&

good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/skype-hates-vista.990250/
Relevancy 76.54%

SKYPE will not install in laptop Vista & Acer netbook XP.

In XP I deleted all traces of Skype in the registry except one entry "Legasy Skypeupdate"

Anybody else with same problem?

Relevancy 76.54%

Skype wont work and shows (floating point division by zero) If I try to close it down too soon and don't wait for the box that says close program now.If I keep stuffing around by clicking ok, stop ect... it says (access violation at address 64d5830 in module sis grumd.dll write of address de32a8e4) Any ideas on how to fix this?

A:skype not working on vista

Hi Fred Knurke,

Have you tried uninstalling Skype using Revo Uninstaller (the free version is at the bottom of the page) and then reinstalling the latest build? Normally for most programs using the built in uninstaller in the Control panel (add/remove) will work, but Skype leaves traces behind, and Revo should be able to get rid of those for you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/skype-not-working-on-vista-569471.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I usually have no problem with accessing skype, however, for some reason it has decided to stop working and everytime I attempt to log in i get the following message :

skype stopped working
a problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available

I have un-installed and reinstalled Skype and still no luck!

I have no idea what to do and would be extremely grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Relevancy 76.54%

When i initiate a call the error message I receive is -problem with playback device.

I have a dell computer running on vista home premium.

I seems that skype cannot recognize a sound card. I have a sound card.

How can this be resolved?

A:skype not working on Vista

Hi nikiatina and welcome to TSF.

Can you check you Device Manager for any warnings (yellow exclamation points) next to 'Sound, Video and game controllers' (click on the arrow next to it to expand if necessary)
Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. In the Computer Management window, select 'Device Manager' on the left and look for any warning signs.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/skype-not-working-on-vista-563356.html
Relevancy 76.54%

x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? -32bit
- the original installed OS on the system? - Vista home basic
- an OEM or full retail version?
- OEM = came pre-installed on system
- What is the age of system (hardware)? - 1 year
- What is the age of OS installation (have you re-installed the OS?) - 1 year (No)

A:Vista - Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting - Vista crash during Gtalk, Skype

We'll need you to complete Steps 1-4 of this pinned topic: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/283154-vista-blue-screen-death-bsod-posting-vista-crash-during-gtalk-skype.html
Relevancy 75.68%

When I double click any of the following to open them, I immediately get the message:
"[program] has stopped working Windows is checking for a solution to the problem."
Followed soon after by: "[Program] has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

So far, I have found that each of the following all experience the same when I try to
start them: Skype, McAfee, Desktop Windows Manager and Microsoft Help & Support.

It was suggested that I try to remove malware. I have not paid for a program to do so yet.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Skype but not the others. I first noticed this when I
tried to use Skype yesterday. I hadn't used it since July.

A:(McAfee/Skype/Desktop Windows Mgr/MS Help&Support) has stopped working

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:Flush DNSReport IE Proxy SettingsReset IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsReset FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Users, Partitions and Memory size.Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/512288/mcafeeskypedesktop-windows-mgrms-help-support-has-stopped-working/
Relevancy 75.68%

Incomming video frozen with new version of skype, using vista ultimate 64 bit, to fix download an older version of skype. Problem solved.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/94432-video-problems-vista-new-skype.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I recently bought a toshiba satellite pro a13o laptop.
downloaded latest skype.

Now, whenever I boot up, the pc tells me "computer has no sound recording capablities for skype"

Have tried 2 usb phones with driver discs - all no use.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks so much for your anticipated guidance !

A:[resolved]skype and vista problem

I just installed Vista and the only hardware it couldn't handle was the sound. I had to go to the Motherboard manufacturer's web-site and install a Vista compatible driver for it, and now it works fine.

Does any of your sound work ?

Check Control Panel>Device Manager and look for any yellow or red flagged devices. Be sure to enable the "show hidden devices" button at the top. Report any flagged devices here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/resolved-skype-and-vista-problem-156488.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Anyone know or have a 64bit compatible device that can connect your normal phone to the computer in order to use Skype. Ive searched all over...found 32bit stuff, but not 64 bit. Cheers.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/97047-vista-64-compatible-skype-usb-device.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello,

I am experiencing problem with Vista home permium, it compleletly crashes while I am talking on Skype or watching video on Youtube. I am attaching BSOD zip folder to this post.

I bought my laptop Dell Inspiron 1525 on May 2008.
OS was per installed by Dell. I have not re-installed the OS.

I hope to hear from you guys any possible solution for problem.

Thank you,
Vasant N. Badiger

A:Vista crashes while using Skype, youtube

hello,

I am not able to attached the BSOD zip folder to ths post.
I can e-mail BSOD zip folder.

Thanks,

Vasant N. Badiger

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/283144-vista-crashes-while-using-skype-youtube.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I recently installed Skype (3.8). I then restarted my computer. After about a minute, my computer freezed up. The only way I could get out of this, is by physically holding the power button until the computer turns off. Everytime I login my computer freezes up again. I looked it up on the internet and it looks like a lot of people are having the problem with Skype and Vista. There aren't any answers out there. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thank You

Things I have already tried:
1. Run in Safe Mode and uninstall Skype
2. System Restore (in safe mode)
3. Last Known Good Configuration (during boot)
4. Doing following commands using Admin account in Safe Mode:
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll

Side Note: This also messed up Firefox. I will try to post details about what happened to Firefox.

A:Solved: Vista keeps Freezing (Skype 3.8)

Here is how I fixed it:

Download the same exact installation for Skype and then right click and select "Run as Administrator." Now go through the entire setup. Then restart the computer and then use Control Panel to remove Skype. Restart one more time and the problem should be gone!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-vista-keeps-freezing-skype-3-8.758041/
Relevancy 75.68%

I have Vista Home Premium OEMAct on my HP pavilion 6500 laptop, and I have Skype 3.6 installed.

Everything was working OK till couple of days ago, now the microphone, built in, it is not working anymore!

Any suggestion on what to do?

Thank you

A:Microphone not working in Vista and Skype

Where is the microphone "built in". I'm not sure I understand this bit.

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/141352-microphone-not-working-vista-skype.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Dear all I m a new member from a very far away location of yours and this is my first post I m not native English speaker so please forgive me if I use incorrect wordings I must say that I m illiterate in computer language but I m patient and ready do whatever I ve been told - Sirefef keep - - every my 32Bit 7 PC minute Home Basic Win restarting virus/trojan to keep my Sirefef virus/trojan - my PC keep restarting every minute - Win Home Basic 7 - 32Bit pc healthy Yesterday my desktop in office was infected by Live Security Platinum LSP I was astonished when the rogue said that my pc got virus malicious programs I should take action immediately pay money to get license blah blah blah Called my friend seeking for advice but only got answer that I had no choice but to call a computer service company to help me Ahhh I was so pissed off amp concerned to the worst situation may happen I went on Microsoft Support Center site for advice amp very happeningly found BleepingComputer site I did all the instructing steps to Remove Live Security Platinum Uninstall Guide amp it worked No more thread from LSP but then my Window Security Essential WSE couldn t run its icon in red This morning I had to remove amp re-install the WSE After installing I ran WSE and then I got message from WSE and from Notification The messages are the same content like jtsm in Sirefef virus trojan - Laptop restarting - Vista bit topic Right now my desktop is infected by Sirefef Trojan virus Please help me get rid of this virus I don t know how to get amp copy the log like jtsm did Please instruct me how to do that so that I can post in here for your checking amp advice Please be noted that my desktop will automatically restart every minute after I log in My desktop properties Operating system Windows Home BasicSystem type -bit Operating SystemProcessor Pentium reg Dual-Core CPU E GHz GHzInstalled memory RAM GBThanks a lot for your help amp patient

A:Sirefef virus/trojan - my PC keep restarting every minute - Win Home Basic 7 - 32Bit

Please do the following:download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.Enter System Recovery Options. To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:Restart the computer.As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.Choose your language settings, and then click Next.Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.Select your user account and click Next.To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:Insert the installation disc.Restart your computer.If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.Click Repair your computer.Choose your language settings, and then click Next.Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.Select your user account an click Next.On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:Startup RepairSystem RestoreWindows Complete PC RestoreWindows Memory Diagnostic ToolCommand Prompt[*]Select Command Prompt[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe and press Enter Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.[*]The tool will start to run.[*]When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.[*]Place a check next to List Drivers MD5 as well as the default check marks that are already there[*]Press Scan button.[*]FRST will let you know when the scan is complete and has written the FRST.txt to file, close out this message, then type the following into the search box:services.exe[*]now press the search button[*]when the search is complete, search.txt will also be written to your USB[*]type exit and reboot the computer normally[*]please copy and paste both logs in your reply.(FRST.txt and Search.txt)[/list]

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/463661/sirefef-virustrojan-my-pc-keep-restarting-every-minute-win-home-basic-7-32bit/
Relevancy 75.25%

Dear all I m a new member from a very far away location of yours and this is my first post I m not native English speaker so please forgive me if I use incorrect wordings I must say that I m illiterate in computer language but I m patient and ready do whatever I ve been told to keep my pc healthy Yesterday my desktop in office was infected by Live Security Platinum LSP I was astonished when the rogue said that my pc got virus malicious programs I should take action immediately pay money to get license blah blah blah Called my friend seeking for advice but only got answer that I had no choice but to call a computer service company to help me Ahhh I was so pissed off amp concerned to the worst situation may happen I went on Microsoft Support Center site for advice amp very happeningly found BleepingComputer site I did all the instructing steps to Remove Live Security Platinum Uninstall Guide amp it worked No more thread from LSP but then my Window Security Essential WSE couldn t run its icon in red This morning I had to remove amp re-install the WSE After installing I ran WSE and then I got message Basic - - Win restarting 7 Home keep minute every - Sirefef virus/trojan 32Bit my PC from WSE and from Notification The Sirefef virus/trojan - my PC keep restarting every minute - Win Home Basic 7 - 32Bit messages are the same Sirefef virus/trojan - my PC keep restarting every minute - Win Home Basic 7 - 32Bit content like jtsm in Sirefef virus trojan - Laptop restarting - Vista bit topic Right now my desktop is infected by Sirefef Trojan virus Please help me get rid of this virus I don t know how to get amp copy the log like jtsm Please instruct me how to do that so that I can post in here for your checking amp advice Please be noted that my desktop will automatically restart every minute after I log in My desktop properties Operating system Windows Home BasicSystem type -bit Operating SystemProcessor Pentium reg Dual-Core CPU E GHz GHzInstalled memory RAM GBThanks a lot for your help amp patient

A:Sirefef virus/trojan - my PC keep restarting every minute - Win Home Basic 7 - 32Bit

Greetings and Welcome to The Forums!!My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.I have put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier and faster for both of usPlease do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.
We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.
Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.Please read every post completely before doing anything.
Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.
A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the Watch Topic Button, select Immediate Notification, and click on Proceed. This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster. NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of hartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer. NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.DeFogger:Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OKDeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OKDo not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.Security CheckDownload Security Check by screen317 from here.Save it to your Desktop.Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.Download DDS:Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:
Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
Link2
Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.Shortly after two logs will appear:
DDS.txt Attach.txtA window will open instructing you save & post the logsSave the logs to a convenient place such as your desktopCopy the contents of both logs & post in your next replyinformation and logs:In your next post I need the following

.logs from DDSlet me know of any problems you may have hadGringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/463659/sirefef-virustrojan-my-pc-keep-restarting-every-minute-win-home-basic-7-32bit/
Relevancy 74.82%

i have tryed to log in to skype to day but all it does is log in for ages then come up with an error "skype can't connect" i have tried everything to fix it but nothing works. i have uninstalled it, restarted pc, restarted modem. i can connect to everything else but skype and it was working earlier today.

A:skype error "skype can't connect"

no one gonna help -_-

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/269080-skype-error-skype-cant-connect.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi all

My problem is that I have updated these three programs to higher version and after finishing update I tried to run them. But browsers show me "connection error". They told me I'm not connected to internet, but IE connect me to internet.

I uninstalled all of them, remove any notice from registry, delete all folders connected with Firefox/Opera/Skype and reboot computer. After rebooting, I installed them back, but nothing happened (even if I installed older versions). That error is still there. I don't want to reinstall my system.

I update my Vista. Install all updates, even optional and recomended but nothing happend. What to do? Can Firefox/Oper/Skype blocked itself?

I try to install linux iceweasel but then I also got message about wrong connection.

Can anyone help me? My system is Vista with all available updates?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-blocked-my-firefox-opera-and-skype.861430/
Relevancy 74.39%

I am running an older Dos based accounting program AccPac Plus The program worked fine until yesterday The command line for running the program is R PLUS EXE v Uc accpac Sc accpac Pc accpac The U P and S are to designate locations of personal startup files for the program If I run it using Start Run it runs ok If I run it using a desktop shortcut which I have done for years fine Program shortcut runs a desktop Start/Run not from from but it won t find the personal startup files on my C drive but rather use default files located on the R drive I am running XP PRO SP Last XP update was last week and I have used the program many times since The only thing out of the ordinary is that someones USB flash drive the I put used on my machine had the following virus on it W SillyFDC Symantec caught it right away I have since scanned my machine fully and run a chkdsk No other users are experiencing the same problem nbsp

Relevancy 74.39%

KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

stop: 0x0000007A (0xC042BBF8, 0xC000000E, 0x09DE7860, 0x8577F000)

Storport.sys - address 8577F000 base at 85474A000, datestamp 47918f7D

have been receiving this bsod for quite some time done research tried downloading the microsoft KB929777 update and it said it wasn't compatible with my system. Checked with dell for all updates did them all but the BIOS update. This occurs randomly with no apprent cause. Left the computer running the night before no programs open just the regular stuff in the systray in the morning boom there it was again. Any assistance with this would be great

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/vista-basic-32bit-bsod-355217.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Anyone know a skype internet phone that will work on 64bit vista?

A:Anyone know a skype internet phone that will work on 64bit vista?

Or a Skype phone adaptor that has 64 bit drivers?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/199670-anyone-know-skype-internet-phone-will-work-64bit-vista.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi All I have LINKS in Fixing shortcut the Vista 32bit problems I need help solving -- - Links points to My Pictures Location I unwittingly set my Links shortcut to point to the same folder as My Pictures and for some reason I cannot undo it If I open my Links instead of just showing my shortcut it also shows the folders in My Pictures Although not crucial to ops it is rather annoying to see duplicates on my folders in My Fixing the LINKS shortcut in Vista 32bit Pictures I found the Fixing the LINKS shortcut in Vista 32bit tutorial on resetting Personal Folders useful but it did not have anything on fixing this type of quot merge quot The registry entry for Links is just quot amp Links quot which tell me nothing much Using regedit I have managed to fix my personal folder including My Pictures Only this Links problem persists - Wrong icon for C Users My Name Second problem -- When I go to the C Users folders instead of seeing the folder with my log-on name I see the folder called DOCUMENTS I checked the registry entry for Personal and it points to the correct folder in an E drive I would appreciate some help other than recreating my user id or reinstalling Vista Thank you in advance for any advice Cheers

A:Fixing the LINKS shortcut in Vista 32bit

Hello Stadian, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Q1) The LNK download at the tutorial link below should help restore the default settings for this for you.

Default File Type Associations - Restore

Q2) If it's just your C:\Users\(user-name) folder icon, then you can change the icon back to normal using OPTION ONE in the tutorial below.

Personal User Shell Folders

Also double check using METHOD THREE in the tutorial below to make sure that each user folder as the correct default location set for it.

Personal User Folder - Restore Missing Folder

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/242775-fixing-links-shortcut-vista-32bit.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a problem, that I would love to fix, it's actually driving me up the wall cause I have tried to many different things to fix it that it is no longer just a hassle but something that I need to have fixed for my own sanity lol. I have a compaq laptop, with intregrated bluetooth. When I use my skype with my bluetooth headset it works very well for about 2 - 10 mins then the screen goes black then it says that windows has crashed and do I want to start in normally.

This problem is driving me crazy and I see that ppl in here are smart enough to help me. Would love to have this sorted, so please help me if you can.

Regards

Chris

A:Vista crashes, skype and bluetooth involved, problem driving me crazy. please help!!

Same problem with my mobile phone connecting to Vista Home using BlueTooth, after a while, my laptop (hp) crashes. I wonder if this is a general problem with Vista and BlueTooth!?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/vista-crashes-skype-and-bluetooth-involved-problem-driving-me-crazy-please-help-253825.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Well basically I have just realised on my laptop desktop the small shortcut icon displayed in the bottom left of an Icon has changed to a sort of user icon, I was wondering how I get this back to the small arrow??? Please see picture below
Shortcut icons Changed.PNG

Guys I now have realised it has just changed again :S:S:S:S:S

So whenever I copy something or save something new to my desktop it changes this icon :S

A:Desktop Shortcut Icon

lol, that icon means that it is being shared on your homegroup. Why don't you make it so that your "desktop" folder is not being shared on your network?

Homegroup - Change File and Folder Sharing Settings

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/68944-desktop-shortcut-icon.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Please someone help me on changing wireless netwotk icon , the one is already there is just a antana icon it does not showing anything so I don't know if any data transfer (In/Out) ,

A:changing icon in windows 7 home basic

Quote: Originally Posted by arash2009

Please someone help me on changing wireless netwotk icon , the one is already there is just a antana icon it does not showing anything so I don't know if any data transfer (In/Out) ,

Are you talking about changing the icon in the notification area (lower rt, next to clock)? If so, I dont know if that can be done...

But, there are plenty of cool wireless networking gadgets that do exactly what you are talking about!

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/64865-changing-icon-windows-7-home-basic.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello can anyone help me with a problem i have ? i have Skype installed and athough my video communication was just fine two weeks ago now i can see my camera working fine and i can also see the other person in line but he can't see me at all.. i've tried anything and i can't find a way out .Somebody told me that it has to do with Vista but i don't know at all what to do.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/182125-skype-vista-not-vista-problem.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I recently downloaded IE 10 Can not open IE 10 with desktop shortcut Icon , the Icon opens to an add I have renewed several times, always same results, any one have a clue

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 6133 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 601581 MB, Free - 462345 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0N826N
Antivirus: Kaspersky PURE 2.0, Disabled

Relevancy 70.95%

How do I put a facebook shortcut icon on my desktop?

A:How do I put a facebook shortcut icon on my desktop?

If you are using Internet Explorer you should be able to right click on you facebook home page and select "Create Shortcut".   

I am an employee of Hewlett Packard.- - Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so others can more easily find the answer - -- - Please click the Kudos star if you would like to say thanks - -

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/How-do-I-put-a-facebook-shortcut-icon-on-my-desktop/td-p/764739
Relevancy 70.95%

One keyboard shortcut is.... Win key + shift + arrow left . Does anyone know how to take this function and create a desktop icon to do the same thing? THANKS for any help. Undine.

A:From keyboard shortcut to desktop icon.

Win+Shift+Left(Right) moves ACTIVE (focused) window to second monitor, doesn't it?
While clicking on desktop icon your pointer automatically focus on that icon, and your window loses focus, so trick won't work.

By you can try this software, it was made for multiple monitor management
(it has quick window moving function even in Free version).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/250584-keyboard-shortcut-desktop-icon.html
Relevancy 70.95%

what is the arrow on the left bottom corner on desktop short cut icon for?

A:an arrow on desktop shortcut icon?

To show that it's a shortcut.
Shortcut Arrow - Change, Remove, or Restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/215421-arrow-desktop-shortcut-icon.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I recently got a Toshiba Satellite L500 Series Laptop.

There is an Icon or a Shortcut named "Recent Places"
I want to remove it from the desktop as I do not need it and its out of place. However I'm confused because the only options when right-clicked are: Open, Clear recent items list and Create Shortcut.

I tried dragging into the start menu but it is still on the desktop as well. I cant drag it into the recycle bin and I do not know what else to do.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks,

The Noob

A:Cant remove desktop Icon/Shortcut

Try right clicking desktop>personalize>change desktop icons (top right of the window)>uncheck recent places.

Dan

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/35055-cant-remove-desktop-icon-shortcut.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I've seen solutions posted all over for removing the desktop icon from appearing in windows 7 when you press alt+tab, but this does not seem to apply the change to the win+tab shortcut.

I added a DWORD called 'AltTabSettings' in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and set the value to 1, is this supposed to work for both alt+tab and win+tab?

If not, anyone know how to do this? It would make win+tab (which is much prettier of an effect than alt+tab) much more effective.

-on win7 home premium 64bit

A:Anyone know how to remove the desktop icon from the win+tab shortcut?

Hello Bob, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Unfortunately, that will only work with the ALT+Tab option. I'm not sure how to do this with WIN+Tab, if possible.

ALT+TAB - Use Classic Icons or Default Thumbnails

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/215198-anyone-know-how-remove-desktop-icon-win-tab-shortcut.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have installed the Windows 8 consumer review OS to a separate SSD installed on my high-end machine. I would like to put a shortcut icon on the Windows 8 desktop for solitaire. Has anyone done this?

Thanks Dan but I have tried what worked in Win 7 and it doesn't work in Win 8.

A:How to add shortcut solitaire icon to Windows 8 desktop

If you rightclick on "Solitaire", do you get the option "Pin to taskbar"? That'll pin it to the taskbar (kinda obvious...)
If you want it to the desktop; try dragging the "Solitaire" icon from the folder to the desktop (Works in W7).

http://www.eightforums.com/gaming/8417-how-add-shortcut-solitaire-icon-windows-8-desktop.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have a copy of Windows 8 RTM and I want to put a shortcut icon for solitaire on the desktop, not on the taskbar. Does anyone know how to do that?

A:How do I put a shortcut icon for solitaire on Windows 8 desktop?

What version of solitare are you referring to? The "real" version copied from another computer, or the messed up metro version?

http://www.eightforums.com/gaming/9370-how-do-i-put-shortcut-icon-solitaire-windows-8-desktop.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello All, I want to know how to create shortcut icon for all users in windows 7. I tried C:\Users\Public but no folder for Desktop. Thanks

A:How to create shortcut desktop icon for all users???

I found it! I have to view hidden folders C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4da450eb-09be-42da-b4a7-2ddf697253a2/how-to-create-shortcut-desktop-icon-for-all-users?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 70.09%

Since installing IE8 RTM in Vista SP1 x86 I've been having some problems with internet shortcut icons not displaying correctly on my desktop.
I've tried deleting and redoing them, tried using AM Deadlink to refresh my Favourites icons to no avail. They show normally in Favourites but show as a smaller version within a white frame on the desktop. This doesn't seem to effect all of them, just some.

I've attached two thumbnails to illustrate what I mean. The first one is the Canada Post item in Favourites and the second one is the same shortcut on the desktop. As you can see there there's another one doing the same thing for Newegg.ca.

I think I am right in saying that it's not a case of rebuilding the system icon cache as that only effects system icons, am I right?

FYI desktop resolution is 1680 x 1050 and I have the desktop icon size set to Classic.

So any ideas folks?

A:Some Weird Desktop Shortcut Icon Issues

Maybe it shows the favicon in the shortcut instead of the IE symbol.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/217432-some-weird-desktop-shortcut-icon-issues.html
Relevancy 70.09%

How can I reduce size of the SHORTCUT ARROW on icons, for very hi-rez desktops?
I have 30 in. monitor (2600X1900 res.) I have too many shortcuts, so I have to keep them smallest, but arrows are not proportionally small. They are covering most of the icon area, thus I can't see the content of the icon.

A:Desktop shortcut icon's arrow size.

You can try installing some third party icon packs. Some of these icon packs have better looking shortcut icons, possibly with smaller shortcut arrows beside them. Some third party themes also come with such icon packs but they are harder to install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/218030-desktop-shortcut-icons-arrow-size.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Running win8 gives me beautiful panoramic scenes across my dual screens unspoiled by desktop shortcuts...... EXCEPT FOR THAT STINKING GARBAGE CAN. I have a recycle bin icon that will not allow me to remove it. Right clicking on any other shortcut would bring up a menu with a delete option. Not this one. It wants to stay. Anyone?

A:Removing recycling bin shortcut icon from desktop

Right-click on the Desktop and click Personalise. Now follow the steps shown below (an item that is checked appears on the desktop, one that isn't doesn't). These are per-user settings.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/19450-removing-recycling-bin-shortcut-icon-desktop.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I used to be able to drag a url to my desktop from ie or firefox and change the shortcut just as I would for other desktop shortcuts. Now when I try, if it is an ie shortcut, it does not change, and if it is a firefox shortcut and I attempt to change it, it goes to the default ie shortcut icon. I did create a url desktop shortcut a few weeks ago before this problem started happening and that icon has remained changed. Please help. My children need different icons in order to go directly to some of the educational pages they use. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-change-ie-or-firefox-url-desktop-shortcut-icon.648986/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi all guys,

Please help me to find out my problem.

I use Windows 7.I delete shortcut icon of program on desktop by shift+delete key. And when I open program(it work as normal) but it show unknown icon.

I DELETE ALL SHORTCUT ICONS OF ANY PROGRAM (like MICROSOFT OFFICE, ABODE PHOTO SHOP,...) ON DESKTOP, NOW ALL THOSE PROGRAMS IS SHOWN UNKNOWN ICON IN ANYWHERE OF MY WINDOW LIKE ON TASKBAR AND START>PROGRAM.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Yuth

A:Problem with Windows 7 shortcut icon on desktop

Hi there, yuth and welcome to SF

Clear and rebuild your icon cache and see if that helps

Icon Cache - Rebuild

-DG

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/125725-problem-windows-7-shortcut-icon-desktop.html
Relevancy 70.09%

iv been searching for how many hour, editing registries but no luck how to remove the desktop shortcut icon properties,i already remove the properties in desktop but when you click the shortcut and right-click the properties is still there

A:How to Remove Desktop Shortcut Icon Properties

Hello and welcome Gabriel mate can I just ask what you are trying to do?? For example make them larger, smaller or simply just an icon name??
In Properties as you can see you can change them for one of your choice etc but first why??

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/398240-how-remove-desktop-shortcut-icon-properties.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi Here is a similar posting at the Microsoft Community site: (Win 7, 2009 Toshiba laptop) "Desktop shortcuts activate the lowest right icon - very perplexed, even reinstalling Windows didn't fix it, need real expert help please..." In other words, clicking on any desktop icon will activate only the bottom of the screen, shortcut-linked program. That icon is already blue too. I am refurbishing an old Acer Travelmate 2420 w/new install of XP sp3, exactly the same problem,also the mouse pointer won't move pane sliders enuff to click on downloads. I think that this is a hardware problem perhaps overheating? (because we have different machines and OS so it's probably not software, and also everything was fine while playing CloseCombat until I was 20 minutes into the game). Any suggestions as to what and where I can find a diagnostic tool? Thanking you-all in advance. Cheers!

A:Lowest desktop shortcut icon is active

Hi and welcome to TSF you can use this to monitor the temps though the bios is usually the more accurate HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
Did you install all the drivers

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lowest-desktop-shortcut-icon-is-active-795242.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello,after doing a clean install of Windows 8 pro 64bit and installed windows updates.After the first restart "My computer" desktop icon shown up as "My Computer 32 bit"
..I had some customized context menu on right click and that dissapeared too,the context menu customization still exists on registry at the computer clsid but no luck with the "My computer 32 bit" desktop icon that Im having now.....Anyone had the same problem or know a solution?

A:My Computer desktop icon shown as 32bit on 64bit system

Right click on the icon and select Rename. Change it to whatever you want.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/30518-my-computer-desktop-icon-shown-32bit-64bit-system.html
Relevancy 69.23%

my friends bought a notebook acer extensa and the OS installed was windows vista home basic.unfortunately he encountered viruses that kills the windows...he reformat he replace the windows vista home premium..since he dont have the windows recovery...the notebook works but he encountered some problems like the desktop display is too dark..well ofcourse from 64 bit turns to 32 bit colors...and the ethernet doesnt work anymore..he did try to download the drivers but when he run the driver its error...he also updated the hard ware but still didnt work...does it need to upgrade also the bios or any suggestion pls...thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-home-basic-to-vista-home-premium.906099/
Relevancy 69.23%

I always use Sandboxie to open my browsers and this still works perfectly with Chrome, but the normal Chrome desktop shortcut icon has suddenly stopped working.
All the other desktop icons work OK.
I would appreciate any clues as to why this has happened and how I can resolve it.

A:Google Chrome Desktop Shortcut Icon not Working

It looks like a false alarm.
I use Standby and Hibernate all the time and only shut down perhaps every 2-3 days.
Somehow the desktop Chrome icon function must have got paralysed during the sleep period, because when I eventually did shut the computer down and restarted it, the Chrome icon is now working.
Sorry for the false alarm, but the icon freeze puzzled me. Just re-booting never entered my mind as a solution.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511053/google-chrome-desktop-shortcut-icon-not-working/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello, I work with my companies IT department. Over the past year or so I have had the same problem as listed below. Sometimes uninstalling, deleting the softwares folder and re-installing the program takes care of the problem. Other times (like this one) it does not.

I have a user who has a desktop icon that when double clicked tries to open an install for another program already installed on the computer. It is looking for the location folder for what to install. If I click "OK" it will give an "Error 1706" and then repeats. If I cancel it then it comes up again. If I cancel it a second time it will actually open the intended program for the icon.

How can I get this icon to open the program without going through the install it is asking for?

A:Desktop shortcut icon tries to open install from another program

Hi and welcome to the Forum
Try this:
Right click the icon on the desktop, click delete. You should get a pop up telling ou that this will just delete the icon and not the program. OK. Now go to C:\Program Files\ and search for the folder of the program in question. [or if the folder is not there try C:\Program Files (x86)] Locate the program exe file and right click it, choose "Send to" Then choose "Desktop (create shortcut). This will put a new icon on your desktop.
Hope this helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/305410-desktop-shortcut-icon-tries-open-install-another-program.html
Relevancy 69.23%

How can I make a desktop shortcut for Internet Explorer?

There is no option to create a shortcut after right clicking on IE--neither in Start/Programs nor on the IE icon I have on the task bar.

I think the icon I have on the task bar is the one that used to be on the desktop before I moved it; because I couldn't find how to create a duplicate back then either.

A:How Make Desktop Shortcut Icon for Internet Explorer?

Hello Tom,

This can help show you how to.

Internet Explorer Desktop Icon - Create in Windows 7

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/235387-how-make-desktop-shortcut-icon-internet-explorer.html
Relevancy 69.23%

When I create a short cut for a Word document, why is a second greyed-out icon also created on the desktop?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-does-creating-desktop-shortcut-create-a-seocnd-icon.813087/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello This happens a new App a zip files Manager has messed up some shortcut and DESKLINK - of Loss Send Desktop to > of icon icons of Windows The Send to context menus has lost the shortcut to send to desktop So I downloaded the Fix REPAIR SEND TO DESKTOP the zip file and I followed the procedure The unzipped DESKLINK file actually appears in the Folder however not in the context menus no shortcut no icon I bypassed the inconvenient with an expedient DESKLINK - Send to Desktop > Loss of shortcut and of icon in the SEND To Folder I dragged into there the icon of the desktop from the Explorer and and least the function of sending is reactivated In reality there is DESKLINK - Send to Desktop > Loss of shortcut and of icon a difference in what is sent to desktop with the regular send to command you create a shortcut with my expedient you send the real file folder It is not the same thing I tried many ways to restore the original configuration NOT the system restore not the re-installation I believe that the mess created by the new App is rooted in the registry I did not alter anything in there Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated Many thanks

A:DESKLINK - Send to Desktop > Loss of shortcut and of icon

Hello geomazo,

You might see if using Option One in the tutorial below may be able to help.

Send To Context Menu - Remove or Restore Default Items - Windows 7 Help Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/35578-desklink-send-desktop-loss-shortcut-icon.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Here's the question --
I had a Dell Dimension IDE XP SP3 PC but the memory/motherboard is gone. I ordered a Dell Inspiron 530S that only has 1 320 Gb SATA drive. I have access to older Dimension PCs at the office, and could use some direction or web shortcuts on taking my old HD, which has XP Home SP3 and pictures and financials and resumes (Word '03) and adding that to a PC that can "see" my home PC hard drive as a secondary IDE drive so that I can copy files to a flash drive/CD to transfer to my new Dimension SATA/Vista Home SP1 drive. Thanks in advance for your response.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/xp-home-pc-died-and-want-to-move-files-to-vista-home-basic-sp1-to-sata-drive-299538.html