Windows Support Forum

Can't access System Properties, window flashes closed Shadow volume?

Q: Can't access System Properties, window flashes closed Shadow volume?

HP Pavilion dv Home Premium Bought January not sure if I have Vista update can't access System Properties to find out My issues started last night I noticed that my Sidebar was showing but nothing was in it I went to properties and there were no gadgets listed I tried downloading a new gadget but it wouldn't load I restored my computer to days ago Still had volume? window flashes access System Can't Properties, closed Shadow the same problem I also realized today that I have no access to Admin functions I can't right click my Computer icon and access system Can't access System Properties, window flashes closed Shadow volume? properties I can't get the update Windows icon to check or update my windows I can't access quot User Groups quot from the control panel Also I have been getting two error messages consistently The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working For more information view the event log x Please close System Restore and try again AND MMC cannot open file c Windows System CompMgmt msc I did go to the run window and ran the following net user Can't access System Properties, window flashes closed Shadow volume? administrator active yes I restarted and the Admin account loaded HOWEVER when I went to see the sidebar again it was empty and I had no access to system functions I am at a complete loss Can't access System Properties, window flashes closed Shadow volume? as to what to do I noticed that the computer has some of the symptoms of the Conficker virus but I have a good protector and I scanned my system and it said it was virus free That is at least enough information to get started Thank you in advance for any help you can offer short of reinstalling Vista I am out of ideas -Kat

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can't access System Properties, window flashes closed Shadow volume?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Can't access System Properties, window flashes closed Shadow volume?

I solved this by downloading the second Vista patch and reinstalling it.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/231574-cant-access-system-properties-window-flashes-closed-shadow-volume.html
Relevancy 16.34%

I've done no overclocking, no advanced work whatsoever. Every time I try to google my issue, all of the solutions seem to be based around the person with the issue overclocking their system thus causing high tempuratures. This is not that issue.

On to the actual problem, my motherboard reports temperatures of 69c when running any program that takes any worthwhile amount of system resources (and some that don't), in particular, most games. CPU and GPU tempuratures seem far lower, around 30-40c. Assuming the sensor isn't to blame (and it isn't, if the feel of the case is any indication), are there any reliable ways to lower MB tempurature with simple BIOS and power settings?

Running an old F1a55-M (FM1) on Win 7 Home Premium, SP1.

EDIT: The motherboard idles at 47, which also seems high. I've changed locations for better airflow several times and wonder if I just flat-out need a larger case.

A:Question re: system temperatures

Fans running, dust?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-re-system-temperatures.217445/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello, I'll try to be as clear as I can.

I have my computer hooked up to my router with an Ethernet cable. About an hour ago the Limited sign popped up. With the cable connected it says Limited, but I can freely use the internet. When I take the cable out, under connections it still only says "Ethernet Limited" and I can't use the internet. I'm not sure about any specs to my comp. All I know Is I'm using windows 8 and it's from Toshiba. I know it's not much to go on, but I'm losing my mind and any help would be wonderful. Thank you.

This picture is how it looks when the cable is, and isn't, plugged in.

A:Limited Access with Ethernet, even when not connected

With the cable pulled out, the picture is correct (for a wired Lan Connection).
When it is attached AND you have access to the Internet, it should not be limited.
SO, get a command prompt ( start->run and enter CMD ) and enter

IPCONFIG /ALL >myTCP.txt
then NOTEPAD myTCP.txt
copy the contents and PASTE that as your follow-up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-access-with-ethernet-even-when-not-connected.217393/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi everyone A few days ago I replaced my cpu motherboard and hdds on my system OLD System main components Case Antec v Cpu i Mobo Asus onboard realtek mobo low crackling) bk volume (very ud3h sound ac1150 issue - and Gigabyte p x d-e RAM corsair vengence gb x GPU Zotac GTX Boot drive Intel Gigabyte ud3h bk mobo - realtek ac1150 onboard sound issue (very low volume and crackling) gb ssd Win HDD WD TB black New System main components Case Antec v Cpu i k Mobo Gigabyte z x - ud h-bk RAM corsair vengence gb x GPU Zotac GTX Boot drive Samsumg evo gb ssd Win HDD WD Gigabyte ud3h bk mobo - realtek ac1150 onboard sound issue (very low volume and crackling) TB black I was able to clone the ssd and hdd samsung migration for ssd and Easeus todo backup for hdd Initally I had some driver conflict when I Gigabyte ud3h bk mobo - realtek ac1150 onboard sound issue (very low volume and crackling) booted up the computer on the new mobo I managed to uninstall all the old drivers and then used the driver cd to install the mobo drivers and even updated all of them to the latest version I The conflict I m still having is with the back panel audio for the onboard sound I get very low volume and and crackling at certain frequencies tried on both my generic creative speaker and Audio technical headphones When I m plugging in the speaker into the green port and have it plugged in half way or accidentally touch the jack to the I o plate I get really strong loud static noise Here is the list of solution that I tried with no success Updated the Realtek HD Audio Manager app I e the one installed from the driver cd to the latest one Used DPC latency checker and it is showing all greens didn t test it for more than a minute though should I be doing something while the app is on to test for interference Installed Generic Realtek driver for ac codec Disabled C E and EIST in the bios Played with the equalizers on Realtek HD Audio Manager helped to reduce bit of static but its still there and the volume is still very low Disabled all line in devices Checked audio with a ubuntu live cd and the problem still persists does this indicate a hardware issue What I find strange is that my front panel that is connected to the HD audio pins on the motherboard works fine with the same speaker and headphones I still have some more solutions I need to test out like Update the bios currently on F version the latest is F I have a spare asus xonar dg PCI so will try to install it and test if audio will works fine But this is not a permanent solution as I only have one PCI slot which I m using for my wireless card adapter Edimax g Run Memtest can this ever be a problem for sound related issues Driver Sweeper I believe I have properly manually uninstalled all the mobo drivers but going try this app to be sure Can someone please point me in the right direction on how to solve this This is the first time I m installing replacing a mobo and cpu so should check if there is a wiring issue when I replaced all the parts back into the case Please let me know if more information is need to help resolve this I have a few more days left incase I have to RMA the mobo so any pointers would really be helpful before I decide to send it back if at all TIA Sreejit S nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gigabyte-ud3h-bk-mobo-realtek-ac1150-onboard-sound-issue-very-low-volume-and-crackling.217321/
Relevancy 16.34%

FIXED The backplate of the video card looked exactly like my old one but it was somehow making my video card not slide down far enough took it off and now its running HUH ZA If there is a big danger in running it so lofty without a backplate message me and let me know If you have a msi g check the damn backplate I bought a nividia off ebay and my mobo does not detect it It lights up but that is it I can send it back but I wanted to know what I can try first I get this message system card My video does my detect not with the install cd when I use the auto driver updater on nvidia and when I manually download the driver from the nvidia site My old radeon worked fine Old card MSI R GAMING G -Bit GDDR This graphics driver could not find compatible hardware GV-N G GAMING- GD nvidia requires and pin connector Mobo z pro asrock CPU k PSU watt ocz sxs What I have done so far Connected the Power Connectors x My system does not detect my video card -Pin x -Pin From my old card to the new card Im using my old power converters could that matter Id use the one that came with the card but a damn wire is hanging out of its area Checked device manager no device Checked bios made sure pci-e x is the primary video card source Checked my bios mobo overview and it says there is nothing in that slot Uninstalled all amd and nvidia driver in the control panel Uninstalled all drivers with gurus free amd and nvidia Display Driver Uninstaller in safemode Reseated the card Googled a lot Im now going to reset the bios I heard I can also update the bios would that even matter am I just trying to hard to make this possibly DOA card work nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-system-does-not-detect-my-video-card.216578/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi,

I've got a S1150 system, which - as we all know - has a very limited amount of PCI-Express lanes. I recently invested in a couple NZXT S340 cases, and I find them extremely cramped for cable management. I'm considering dumping my dual SATA3 SSD raids in these computers in favor of M2 SSD's to eliminate some of the cable mess, but I'm wondering how this will affect my graphics card performance, as I believe this would cut my graphics card's PCI-Express lanes down to x8 (3.0), just as if I was using a PCI-Express SSD.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this type of setup?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/m2-ssd-on-s1150-system.216427/
Relevancy 33.54%

I have a Lite-On LH-20A1H drive that is 4 years old. The tray sticks and usually requires the manual release to be used to unlock the tray. I took the drive apart and have noticed that without the tray present the motor has no problem moving the mechanism and for awhile the tray will move when reassembled. But if you leave the unit unused for several minutes it starts to stick again.

I was able to find some information on the INTERNET about the motor used for operating the tray. It uses rubber magnets instead of ceramic. My experience with rubber magnets is they weaken over time and I suspect the motor has become too weak to move the mass of the tray and interlocking hardware.

Has anyone else come to this same conclusion? Do you know a source of replacement motors? The one used does not appear on the manufacturers active list. The motor is a RF-300EH-1D390 made by MABUCHI MOTOR.

A:DVD tray sticks closed

I think your best bet is just to replace the drive, you can get a new one for less than $20.

If you are really set on fixing it you can probably get one out of another drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-tray-sticks-closed.158799/
Relevancy 33.11%

Hello, often when i close the lid on my laptop it opens up programs and files that are visible on the screen when i close it. I have set my laptop to "do nothing" when i close the lid because i dont want it to go into sleep or anything. I dont know if this is a virus or not. i have used Avast antivirus to scan my computer several times and came up empty. I dont expect you to know exactly what is causing this but maybe someone here have had the same experience and might be able to point me in the right direction. Thank you

A:My laptop opens up things when the lid is closed

This could be caused by the closing of the top putting pressure on the keyboard. Set the laptop to shutdown when the top is closed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-opens-up-things-when-the-lid-is-closed.174403/
Relevancy 31.82%

As is typically the case at huge trade shows, major companies don't always show everything they have on the show floor. Such was the case with Nvidia during Computex last week where select guests were invited to check out a...

Read more

A:Here's the DX12 'Mech Ti' demo that Nvidia showed off behind closed doors at Computex

World leaders in screen tearing demonstrations! Seriously with today's available tech wtf is this...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/heres-the-dx12-mech-ti-demo-that-nvidia-showed-off-behind-closed-doors-at-computex.213858/
Relevancy 15.91%

Here ya go T, the final product...well probably not

2.2Kw Holodeck 7

[email protected]
Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD7 (rev 1.1)
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz
4 X HD 7970 Quadfire
1x Corsiar AX1200W
2x FSP Group X5 500W =1000W
1XNexXxos XT45mm x 360mm Rads
2 x NexXxos XT45mm x 240mm Rads
1x NexXxos XT45mm x 120mm Rads
3X VPP-655 Pumps
1X Phobya DC-12-400 Pump
Koolance 370 CPU Block
4 x Heatkiller GPU X-3 Waterblocks
Rad Fans: Coolermaster Excalibur
Bitspower & Monsoon Fittings
Primochill Advanced LRT Tubing
Case CoolerMaster Cosmos 2
Heatkiller X-3 Multilink Quad Bridge
BitsPower Z-Multi 250mML Reservoir
Eyefinity 3+1 Extended 5760 x 1080-25" Monitors

I did end up going full parallel on the GPU's They go from idle @ 28c to 36c under load (Heaven 4.0)

Relevancy 15.48%

I have a three month old Dell Dimension GHZ P Gig Ram and a gig SATA Hard Drive When I got the computer I used the files and transfer PC Relocator utility And had in Error system drives did hard Message: disk find Setup not your installed any a bunch of unwanted extras that came with it I m having a Satellite Internet system installed and they wanted a clean install of windows XP So I opened the owner s manual and got out the reinstallation disk and the problems began By the way Dell tech support s only response has been to say gee that s not right and would send a tech sometime after Christmas Anyway heres step by step what I did I boot to the Dell reinstallation disk Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system The windows setup screen appears and loads files The next screen says welcome to setup and offers three options -to setup XP press enters To repair XP press R to exit without installing XP press F I press enter and the following message comes up Setup did not find any hard disk installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected And any disk related configuration is correct ect Press F to quit It dose this if I try repair also Dell had me check the connections to the HD and Motherboard They re good And debug the hard drive No luck Everything worked fine until I put in the reinstallation disk Any help would be welcome nbsp

A:Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system

During Setup, it will ask you if you need any extra drivers such as SCSI (or SATA in your case). If so, press F6. Now you are in trouble, because SATA drivers come on a floppy and new(er) Dells don't have a floppy anymore. Borrow a floppy-drive from another PC and install that in your Dell.
Setting up with the Dell disks, I'm not sure if they are RESTORE-disks or full XP-disks.
That may cause another problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-system.18329/
Relevancy 21.93%

Neither my keyboard or mouse are working on any of the 7 USB ports on my computer. My mouse was initially working, but I read somewhere if you delete the keyboard drivers you can reinstall them and it will work again. BUT when I was doing that I stupidly uninstalled my mouse driver so now NOTHING works. I can't try if it works in safe mode because my keyboard doesn't respond when I hit f12 during boot up.

When I plug in the mouse or keyboard, I get a window that pops up asking if I want to install the hardware, but it's impossible for me to do anything because my mouse and keyboard don't work! If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!

A:My Dell Demension e510's (Window's XP) keyboard and mouse don't work

First I would try to find a different working keyboard because you should at less be able to boot into safe mode because the drivers don't even load until windows start loading.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-demension-e510s-windows-xp-keyboard-and-mouse-dont-work.211116/
Relevancy 17.63%

Toshiba laptop. Internet at the bottom right says there is a connection available, but says the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network. It has to be plugged in to the modem to access Internet. Speakers do not work. Ports do not work either. I had it in for repair and he thought it might be the motherboard, but he couldn't fix the other one and I got help with Broni on here and it works fine now. I am hoping someone on here can help me fix this one. It has no viruses; it's clean. Thanks!

A:Laptop cannot access the Internet unless it is hooked to the modem

Ok, the modem=>pc config working says networking is at least sane.

To get the modem=>router=>pc to work, the pc should not have ANY configuration data stored in the network adapter settings. Can you find and clear the network adapter for yourself?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-cannot-access-the-internet-unless-it-is-hooked-to-the-modem.207405/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hello there,
You can't buy these any more, and there's nothing on ebay.
Anyone have any ideas or one to sell. please let me know!
-Lisa renee

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-control-pod-for-altec-lansing-fx4021-speaker-system.207745/
Relevancy 16.34%

My graphics card previously got wet and frankly I don t know enough about computers in order to know what part to order for this How can I find the best graphics card for this system Or more simply can someone tell me what is the best card this system can support Information below Field Value Computer Operating System Windows Home Premium Home Edition OS Service Pack - DirectX DirectX c Computer Name STARFISH User Name Patrick Motherboard CPU Type DualCore system? for Best graphics card this Intel Pentium Best graphics card for this system? D MHz Motherboard Name Unknown Motherboard Chipset Unknown System Memory MB BIOS Type Unknown Communication Port Communications Port COM Multimedia Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller NoDB Storage IDE Controller Intel R G ICH Family Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - DF SCSI RAID Controller Intel R ICH R DH SATA RAID Controller Disk Drive ST AS Disk Drive WDC WD AAKX- ERMA Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S A ATA Device SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown Partitions C NTFS MB MB free Input Keyboard Standard PS Keyboard Mouse HID-compliant mouse Network Network Adapter Belkin Wireless Adapter Network Adapter Intel R PRO PL Network Connection Peripherals Printer Fax Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer USB Controller Intel R G ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - C NoDB USB Controller Intel R G ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - C NoDB nbsp

A:Best graphics card for this system?

Look for a model number printed on your motherboard, usually printed around the CPU area.

The info you provided only tells us you are using a Pentium D. Most likely an 820 (could also be either 915 or 920) but not positive. In any case this would be an LGA775 platform, which usually has a PCIe x16 slot. But without knowing the model number of the motherboard so we can check, I'm not going to swear on PCIe x16 support. I am leaning toward PCIe x16 support, since you stated having a graphics card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-graphics-card-for-this-system.207505/
Relevancy 15.91%

Error 0x4001100200001012 attempting to boot from the System Repair CD created on a Dell.

Apparently, this is specific to Dell and their Hack with DataSafe. You can use any System Repair CD generated on some other platform and it will give you access to restore your System Image. Google using that error code and you'll find lots of info. A Windows Install disk will work too.

I have a SR cd from another system and it works just fine :whew:

Don't get caught up a creek w/o a paddle - - if you plan on using a System Image to recover a system,
make sure you have the tools which will allow that image to be restored - - DON'T ASSUME!

background: I'm seeing SMART data that corroborates my laptop HD is degrading and I wanted to prove I could restore when the replacement arrives. As this Dell laptop is a pain to open up, I didn't want to go down in flames due to procedural errors or lack of familiarity. ( I'll never by another Dell )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/caveat-emptor-dell-system-repair-disk.207223/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi there guys

I suddenly can't connect to wifi, but the problem is solved when I use the cable, and connect my laptop directly to modem. surprisingly I checked and it seems I can connect with my tablet to wifi spot! I used recovery and system restore point, but it didn't help.

I really appreciate your help.

oh and yes in wireless mode, I can see different wifis, but when I click to connect, it tries "connecting" but fails as well.

A:Investigate router, access point issues

Do you use MS Update in Autoupdate? looking to see if you are 'current'.

get make/model of your WiFI device (see device mgr),
find the version of the existing driver, then
see if you can find a newer version; install it if found.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/investigate-router-access-point-issues.207216/
Relevancy 17.63%

Well I am accessing my remote router via and it works access work via phone, Remote PC doesnt via ok when I am using my Phone s Remote access ok via phone, doesnt work via PC browser chrome or IE on Samsung however when I am at computer at work I cant access my router I ran Tracert and I am getting up to hoops and th says quot Request timed out quot lt ms lt ms ms lt ms lt ms lt ms lt ms lt ms lt ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms Remote access ok via phone, doesnt work via PC ms ms ms border ge - unitedair- chg pnap net ms ms ms core te - -bbnet chg pnap net ms ms ms ae - chi ip gtt net ms ms ms xe- - - chi ip gtt net ms ms ms c-eth- - - -pe ecermak il ibone comcast ms ms ms he- - - - -cr ecermak il ibone comcast ms ms ms ms ms ms te- - - - -sur mortongrove il chicago com net ms ms ms te- - -cdn mortongrove il chicago comcas t Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Trace complete Anyone would know why it works on the phone and doesnt really go through all the way to the end nbsp

A:Remote access ok via phone, doesnt work via PC

Ok I have to ask first when you are using your phone is it always using mobile data or do you connect it at work via wifi? When reason that makes sense to me is at your work they maybe blocking the remote port. I guess it all depends on what you are using also. If you are just using standard RDP then they might be blocking port 3389. If you could give further information on how you are connecting remotely whether using software such as teamviewer or just standard RDP. Also how do you have your router configured. I can better understand witht is information thanks....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remote-access-ok-via-phone-doesnt-work-via-pc.206550/
Relevancy 18.06%

So I have a very strange issue with my laptop.
It's a Toshiba a665-06f
I7 [email protected]
8gb ram
500gb Samsung ssd
Running Windows 8.1 pro

I can't get into the bios it boots in less than 10 secs, I've even tryed removing the hdd to get it to boot to the bios but it just sits at a blank screen when I do that. I've tryed tapping the all the f keys the del and esc on start cant get into the bios or even the boot options. Other than not booting into the bois it works great.
Any ideas please?

A:Unable to access bios

"Other than not booting into the bios, it works great"... So this means you can boot into Windows normally, and use the laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-access-bios.206928/
Relevancy 12.9%

I replaced the mobo on my Dell 5510. Purchased from Dell. Sticker on mobo says BIOS ver A05. About every other day I get blue screen and physical dump of memory. My system info says my BIOS ver is A07. How do I go about changing BIOS? Is it as simple as pulling battery for 15 seconds? Some have offered this suggestion but I get a little worried at "friends" advice.

A:Replaced MOBO on Dell 5510 BIOS sticker on MOBO says A05, system in still has BIOS of A07

Removing the battery won't change the BIOS version. You need to download the version you require from the Dell site. From Windows you "flash" the BIOS. Take your time preparing for this. If anything goes wrong you will wreck your motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replaced-mobo-on-dell-5510-bios-sticker-on-mobo-says-a05-system-in-still-has-bios-of-a07.206391/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello all,
Most of memories, RAM, ROM, HDD, DVD-RAM and others are
random access. What are some non random access memories please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/non-random-access-memory.206101/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello there,
I have seen that you are knowledgeable regarding pc, and have also seen tht you resolved successfully several threads.

I have a laptop and up to yesterday I could connect to the internet through wifi and cable. But today I cannot.

Here you can see my wifi.txt : https://www.dropbox.com/s/27g7g6xzqb8al1e/myWifi.txt?dl=0
and here my wired: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5nwfr6nwafoj1a/myWired.txt?dl=0
I uninstalled bitdefender to no avail.
Yesterday I was experimenting with this software: hotspot shield, bot revolt, ghostsurf. I uninstalled it yesterday and internet was working fine after that. I am just mentioning it.
I have win 8.1
I dont have any red in device mgr.

I am looking forward to your answer.
I hope you can help me
Kind regards
nisidotatos

A:Connected to internet, but no access

I'm posting a Win/8 solution solved in a private conversation. After proving that TCP could PING and use NSLOOKUP, it is time to suspect browser settings - - here's the solution:

jobeard said:

IE(9) -> Internet Options
General Tab
set homepage too www.google.com/

Security Tab
[x] enable protected mode

Connections Tab
at the bottom click Lan settings button
[x] Automatic detect settings SHOULD BE ON
[ ] auto script OFF
[ ] use a proxy OFF

Advanced Tab
[x] software rendering instead of GPU
Browsing
[x] disable script debugging (there's 2 of these)
HTTP 1.1
[x] both boxes
International
[x] send IDN names
[x] send UTF-8
Security
[x] check publisher revocation
[x] check certificate
[x] check signatures on downloads
[x] enable Windows Authentication
[x] enable memory protection
[x] use SSL 3.0
[x] use TLS 1.0
[x] use TLS 1.1
[x] use TSL 1.2
[x] warn certificate address mismatch
[x] warn if postClick to expand...

nisidotatos said:

It worked.
it was a problem here:
Connections Tab
at the bottom click Lan settings button
[x] Automatic detect settings SHOULD BE ON
[ ] auto script OFF
[ ] use a proxy OFF

the auto was off, and also a vpn required was on, which I deactivated.
It is working now.
This is great.
I thank you so much.
If you ever come to Greece, give me a call!!!Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connected-to-internet-but-no-access.205805/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello, and thank you in advance.

I'm building a computer for my Dad, and need help choosing the CPU/motherboard. He will only use it for internet browsing, email, youtube, office etc. No gaming whatsoever.

I'm assuming a CPU with built in graphics is best. I've only built higher end gaming machines, and know very little about integrated graphics.

So my question is, what is the best cpu/motherboard combo that isn't overkill for a simple system like this?

A:CPU for a non-gaming system

I will assume there are no CPU intensive application. And with the assumption make a statement that there are no PC configurations today that will not suffice for these needs.

Anything with dual cores or more should be fine for these needs. If this wasn't the case, people wouldn't be buying tablets for the same purposes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-for-a-non-gaming-system.204662/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi, I just installed a gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h into my system (i5 3570), and even after reinstalling windows the computer is very glitchy, it takes ages to come on, freezes, and usb devices don't work half the time.

I'm thinking it's a dodgy motherboard. Any ideas?

A:System is very glitchy after installing new motherboard

Actually my first post was wrong, (this is someone else's computer) reinstalling windows fixed the glitches it just pauses on the windows logo for about five minutes before booting up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-is-very-glitchy-after-installing-new-motherboard.204643/
Relevancy 16.34%

My System Specs

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7641
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD FX(tm)-4170 Quad-Core Processor, 4200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V17.10, 10/08/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.98 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.32 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.4 GB
Page File Space 7.98 GB

I would like to get this graphics card http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-g...rage - Graphics, TV Tuners and I/O - Graphics will my system be able to handle this?

A:Graphics Card How Good Does My System Need To Be?

While it can handle it, it will be greatly bottlenecked by the CPU. Also, we need to make sure your PSU can handle it, so if you can post your full system specs including the PSU, HDD, motherboard,etc., that would great.

You can probably upgrade the CPU to an 8350 since it uses the same socket. But you may need to apply a BIOS update. BUT, before we get ahead of ourselves, please post full system specs like said above. Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-how-good-does-my-system-need-to-be.204430/
Relevancy 17.63%

Okay next Monday (July 21st) I go in for a hernia operation, I am going to be laid up for awhile and thankfully I have a laptop I can use while recovering upstairs in my bedroom. I can access my Netgear router but the signal is not that strong (bedroom and downstairs office are on opposite corners).

So I have been pondering getting either an Access Point or a Extender for the upstairs but there are so many to choose from I am not sure what to choose nor what brand because the reviews are strongly mixed regardless of who the manufacturer is.

My Needs:
1. Both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz. I've looked at this one but I am not sure: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

2. Something simple to set-up.

3. It must work with WPA security. The above one I linked to, after firther research does not do well with WPA.

A:Access Point or Extender for Upstairs Wireless?

Really NEED 5ghz? dual band systems seem to impact the reliability AND the distance reached.
You could lock it down to use only 2.4Ghz and improve the reliability.

I solved my distance issue using an EoP device and then any WiFi router at the remote end.
That's TWO purchases; The EoP master/slave pair to get wired access into the remote location and then the WiFi router itself. I've always been partial to Netgear and bought their EoP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-point-or-extender-for-upstairs-wireless.203893/
Relevancy 18.06%

Someone help me please cannot access but can cable LAN wifi internet My It s urgent Windows IP Configuration Host Name kent-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description My wifi cannot access internet but LAN cable can Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS Physical Address - -A -AF- - E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR WB- NG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - -CA- - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a e b ec Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained June Lease Expires June Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -D - C- - - -CA- - - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap CB C E- EC - E - CD- BE B CDC Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap AA FDD -F C - BD - D -CEDB F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My wifi cannot access internet but LAN cable can

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-wifi-cannot-access-internet-but-lan-cable-can.203495/
Relevancy 33.97%

I turn-on the power on my laptop and all I see is a cycle of Red, Green, Blue, White, & Black of color on my screen. Computer was working the night before. I do not know much about troubleshooting a computer. Can anyone please give me an advice or guide if this is something I would be able to tinker to work or bring the laptop over for service.
I have a Dell XPS1730 (5 years old) with Nvidia IUPGA5D G84. Recently, upgraded to Windows 7
I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.
Daire

A:Laptop screen flashes RGBWB color upon power-up

The internal video has died. To verify this you can attach an external monitor and see if the display is normal

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-screen-flashes-rgbwb-color-upon-power-up.203382/
Relevancy 16.34%

I m officially out of ideas and I m hoping you kind way of operating notebook system No on installing folk here could help me out I have a Hp notebook whose hard disc I formatted while transfering data from it to my computer so I could do a fresh OS When I returned the hard disc into the notebook I found No way of installing operating system on notebook that I could not install Windows by any medium I tried plugging in an external DVD reader and installing windows like I did the first time on this notebook but No way of installing operating system on notebook it would not read from the device BIOS recognises it only as USB LEGACY SUPPORT When I tried installing windows from an USB like I did many times on my computer the screen would freeze when I pressed any key to No way of installing operating system on notebook boot from USB I tried changing USB ports for the devices I used it did not help and I tried changing USB memory sticks from which I booted but alas no success I don t know if there is a way of transfering the files from the dvd onto the hard disc make it bootable somehow and then install the OS on the hard drive the same one I also tried installing other OS using the same methods Windows and XP but have had the same problems P S I haven t tried preinstalling a system on the hard drive on another computer and then inserting the HD into the notebook hoping it would boot I tried that once on a comuter and have had no success Please do help cheers nbsp

A:No way of installing operating system on notebook

Does this help ?
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...all-Windows7-on-HP-2140-using-USB/td-p/301650

or this ?
http://www.suren.net/2010/03/11/installing-windows-7-off-a-usb-drive-on-an-hp-mini-2140/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-way-of-installing-operating-system-on-notebook.200793/
Relevancy 16.34%

Ok guys. I am planning to build a system(of course a PC)and I really wanth to know is it worth it, I want to hear your oppinions.
CPU-AMD Athlon X4 760K
MB-MSI A88XM E35
GPU-MSI R7 260X
RAM-Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
HDD-500GB WD Caviar Blue
PSU-Corsair CX430
Case-I am still thinking about it, maybe Cooler Master K280
I am curious are these parts all compatible and can I run Battlefield 3 on ultra with this?
Thanks guys.

A:Is this system worth it?

ace2001 said:

Ok guys. I am planning to build a system(of course a PC)and I really wanth to know is it worth it, I want to hear your oppinions.
CPU-AMD Athlon X4 760K
MB-MSI A88XM E35
GPU-MSI R7 260X
RAM-Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
HDD-500GB WD Caviar Blue
PSU-Corsair CX430
Case-I am still thinking about it, maybe Cooler Master K280
I am curious are these parts all compatible and can I run Battlefield 3 on ultra with this?
Thanks guys. Click to expand...

Well you will not get a smooth 60 FPS on Ultra in BF3 with this system. So I would say no you cannot run it on ultra since at the 1080p realm the card averages above 30FPS on ultra.

If you want a system to run BF3/4 on ultra, might we here your budget so we could help you pick out a better parts list?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-this-system-worth-it.201450/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi all!
C drive on my computer is almost full, I keep receiving notifications regarding no or less space in C drive. I have Partitioned my hard disk into 3 parts.
C drive is only 25 GB :/
D drive is 80 GB
E is close to 150 GB

I would like to increase my C drive space from 25 GB to 100 GB cutting E drive down . I am unable to do so through disk management. The option Extend Volume is grayed out. Please suggest an alternate way to increase the volume of my C drive. The OS I have is Windows 7 ultimate!!
Thank you in advance.

A:How to increase volume on C drive

0. Make sure you have everything you can't afford to lose backed up.
1. Get Easeus Partition Master (the free one for home use)
2. Shrink E
3. Expand D
4. Shrink D
5. Expand C

Partition Master may let you just shrink E and expand C, but if you have a traditional partition layout the steps I listed will have to occur (even if PM hides the middle ones).

Personally, I would do 1 step at a time and reboot between each. This way if something goes wrong your chances of recovering are much greater.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-increase-volume-on-c-drive.200779/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi been awhile since I last posted. In the house we have a desktop and 2 laptops on the go in the house.The desktop is wired internet while the laptops are run on wifi.This worked fine until my isp UPC upgraded my internet speed from 50mb to 120mb.. The desktop and one of the laptops still works fine but the acus laptop has web access for between 20 mins to 45mins before the wifi drops off and becomes limited access. The wifi needs to be renabled to regain access to the wifi which lasts another small while until it gets limited access again.

The laptop specs are:
Acus K53e
Windows 7 home premium 64bit
intel Centrino N100 wifi adapter
Ram 6gig

At the moment its running for 30 mins then wifi cuts off for a few seconds before starting up again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-gets-limited-access-after-period-of-time.201028/
Relevancy 16.34%

I bought a Samsung 840 SSD (120GB) for my gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 motherboard. I am unable to install win 7 64bit on it. It is a SATA SSD.

I have tried ACHD mode in the BIOS, I have tried IDE mode. The drive works as I have tested it as an external drive on other computers.

I bought the drive specifically to be used as a primary drive.

My regular hard drives work fine on the motherboard.

A:Unable to install SSD on Win7 x64 system

Well, first of all, your motherboard only supports 3GB/s and the 840 is a 6GB/s drive. Just by that you won't really get your moneys worth. And how so are you unable to install? Also can you please list your system specs?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-install-ssd-on-win7-x64-system.190141/
Relevancy 18.49%

You've all prob solved this problem for a thousand other folks...
I cant access my Ext Hard Drive. It worked fine on my PC first time around. When I took it to my MAC it was read only. I reformatted the EHD so that I would be able to copy files from my MAC. Now I want to transfer some of the data back to my PC but I can no longer access the drive on my PC.

I've read some threads with related issue.
Drive shows up in Devices and Printers.
Drive shows up in Disk Partitions> Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions> but when I right click on the drive, "Change Driver Letter and Paths" option is greyed out.
Drive does not show up when I go to Start>diskpart>run as administrator>list volumes...

I know the data is on the drive and my computer somewhat recognizes the drive. But I cannot access to explore, save to , etc. Please help.

A:Can't access my Ext.HD

Try to retrieve the data from the external hard drive with a data recovery software by connecting it to mac and then format the Ext Hard drive before it is connected to your PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-my-ext-hd.200498/
Relevancy 17.63%

I have a client that has been asking me about a way to monitor internet activities or to get email addresses for people who use his wifi hotspots He owns a chain of restaurants and essentially wants a system page access? restaurant hotspot for Login that retrieves people s email addresses when they connect so he can send them promotional emails Personally I think this is a terrible idea but professionally I have to give him my opinion I was going to suggest that he have a sign in page that the router directs traffic to before it gives full connectivity to the user Login page for restaurant hotspot access? This page would Login page for restaurant hotspot access? have a user agreement that allows for sending promotional emails I ve seen these at airports and some other businesses and I hate them but this seems to be the least morally objectionable way to do what he s asking rather than implementing a shady web traffic monitoring system I m pretty sure all this would take would be to have the DHCP managed by a server that through the dns sends all traffic to a page that requires registering a login before granting full access to the network Has anyone done something like this themselves or have a suggestion for a method or application that aids in something like this Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/login-page-for-restaurant-hotspot-access.200163/
Relevancy 18.06%

HI I read the whole thing but I ve certainly gotten lost in a few parts I believe I have a similar issue I have laptop with windows and it ha dbeen connecting to wifi for almost a year already with no problem all of a sudden for the past few days it started showing the DAMN yellow triangle and its always quot no internet access quot cant surf the web but my iphone and my neighbour who im splitting the bill with are connecting just fine Also when connected to an ethernet cable it works it actually very clearly show the name of my wireless network with the words quot no internet access quot beneath and then the name of the wired network HOME b with the words quot internet access quot beneath and thats how im typing this right now I havent made any changes in the last two days I downloaded Advanced system care driver booster and malware fighter all from IObit but that was last week I dont see why it didnt make the wifi faili right away assuming it was that this just happened days ago the only thing downloaded by my brother was the facebook video callin add on which I uninstall already to rule it out I have ran ipconfig and as far as I understand which is not a lot internet with Laptop no access eveything seems to be in order dhcp is enabled I checked the Laptop with no internet access properties of the network and both the internet protocol TCP IPv and TCP IPv are enabled and set to automatically obtain IP address and DNS server ive tried other things here and there like uninstalling third party applications like apple BONJOUR and uninstalling avg which was expired anyway although it never gave me tha tissue before I also turned off windows firewall for a minute just to see but nothing works as soon as I unplug ethernet and connect to wireless it connects at first without the warning sign but as soon as I try to open a website it appears and fails surfing I dont know what to do I can copy the ipconfig results or anything you d like ONE MORE THING I CAN actually log in to the routers default gateway even while on wireless and no internet access displays Moderator note Moved out this thread - http www techspot com community t gh-ethernet-but-not-wifi post- nbsp

A:Laptop with no internet access

Advance System Care years ago used to be ok but tends to be mainstream and allows third party applications to install on there own if you are not careful. Get rid of anything Iobit related that is al junk I dont care what anybody says I remove it because after careful research Malwarebytes will tell you that it is malware. Anyway sounds like you could have an issue with a virus or malware being what you have downloaded. I would try to run malwarebytes to see if anything comes up if you are not familiar with it here is a link to download it. I understand you do not have internet so you will have to download it to a flash drive and run it on the computer. Post what it finds and we will go from there. If you can wire in and get internet let mek now that also. But it sounds like that wont work either due to the nature of your issue. http://ninite.com/malwarebytes/

Also what I would do is try to attempt a system restore back to when the first issue came up. That way you might be able to go back in time before the issues but if it is a virus this wont work. Just an idea./

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-with-no-internet-access.199753/
Relevancy 18.06%

Recently I pulled a dell dimension 5150 out of my basement, dusted it off and got it running again with xp sp2 (I only had the installation disk for that one). With one exception. I'm using an Ethernet cable going directly to my router and it says that I'm connected to 1394 at 400.0 Mbps (which I found to be rather surprising) but I cant activate my windows (I wiped the hard drive and re-installed) or access internet explorer so that I can get chrome. If you need any other information please let me know. I am currently posting this from my current computer which has wireless and is working fine.

EDIT: I am posting this from my current computer which has wifi

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-ethernet-connected-but-i-cant-access-the-internet.199726/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hey I just bought a new
mb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130709
processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280
memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130680

I did not replace my HDD and the are 3GB not 6 GB as this board supports but are SATA and I have nothing special starting up beside the basic items and AVG 2013 and magic ISO which I had all this on my old system. I am running windows 7 and it takes this machine almost 5 min to boot up it just sits at the windows display screen. I never overclocked anything but I thought this upgrade would be faster than my 4 year old system that this replaced, not slower! OK so any ideas? Would the 6GB SATA HDD drive make that much of a difference?

A:Slow (new) system

6GB HDD? Dude what, that's ancient.

Get a new HDD, or a cheap SSD - you'll really see it fly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-new-system.198644/
Relevancy 17.63%

I've a wired network at home like this:

Code:
Internet
|
ADSL Router
|
Dlink Switcher
|
I'm going to buy a new tablet (ASUS MeMO Pad Smart 10), which supports internet through wifi. I was wondering how can I share the internet access with the new device? What new devices should I buy and what changes are required to my network setup?

Thanks in advance.

A:How to share wired Internet access with WiFi device

I figured it out, I need an AP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-share-wired-internet-access-with-wifi-device.199110/
Relevancy 18.49%

I have a personal computer at the boarding school I attend Access Limited an Asus G VW and whenever I try to connect to the main internet connection it says limited access I have also tried using Ethernet and it says unidentified network with the Ethernet Here is my IPCONFIG ALL below I also have Windows if that helps --------------------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows Version c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Herman gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name ASUS Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List cefpub local Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address E- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description VPN Tunnel Adapter Physical Address -FF- B- - B- E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Anchorfree HSS VPN Adapter Physical Address -FF- -F - D- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address DC- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Connection-specific DNS Suffix cefpub local Description Qualcomm Atheros AR WB-EG Wireless Net work Adapter Physical Address DC- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cc ba c f fc Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday December PM Lease Expires Monday December PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EE- B-E -DC- -DE- E-FC- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire Limited Access net Description Qualcomm Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Eth ernet Controller NDIS Physical Address - - D-EB-AA- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap cefpub local Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix cefpub local Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d abd a e ef f dd Prefer red Link-local IPv Address fe a e ef f dd Preferred Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EE- B-E -DC- -DE- E-FC- NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C Users Herman gt nbsp

A:Limited Access

Well its probably the school network, do you have to register the machine with the network and enter passcodes etc. That sounds like it maybe the issue.

Also I would take down that stuff you posted with your subnet, IP, etc, its alot of personal information about your PC thats a little too much if you catch my drift.

Back on subject, I would first check if you have to register it or something first, then we can go from there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-access.198300/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hi Everyone - I occasionally have to share a large file between one person and another for work I was using yousendit which worked site large closed Reliable Yousendit needed... file-sharing fine they have changed to be hightail and they have a blog - at their blog there are many comments circa oct about it now not working and being buggy So I don t want to go with that I am looking for current suggestions of a site for file sharing I am willing to pay a modest fee month like to know it will work well and Reliable large file-sharing site needed... Yousendit closed not junk up anyone s computer with any trashy downloader and is very simple to use - I cannot spend a lot of time teaching people with various levels of web savvy and computer savvy how to make an acct log in work some elaborate quot unique quot interface and so on I would prefer a service where an email goes to the recipient s email address they click on the link and from that easily select an option to download I am not sharing burned CDs or DVDs - I just need to share work-related audio recordings from the person recording to a transcriber When I look at reviews on the web it seems that services change a lot over time so I don t want to go for what had great reviews a year ago Please help with suggestions -Thanks nbsp

A:Reliable large file-sharing site needed... Yousendit closed

Look at shutterfly.com

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reliable-large-file-sharing-site-needed-yousendit-closed.197694/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hye. I juz wnt to ask some short question.

Does my Amd Athlon X2 5600+ 2.9Ghz overclock bottleneck wif my HD4850 IceQ 4 gpu??
and
How much the performance increase if I upgrade my current cpu to Amd Athlon II X2 270??

Thnx guys.

A:Is My System Bottleneck

If you are going to upgrade and your system supports it, you might as well try to get a 4 core. Especially on an AMD rig, where CPU performance is weaker than Intel core for core. The "AMD Athlon II X4 650" is about the weakest performance I would recommend to anyone. It is comparable to the Core i3-2100 which is as low as I recommend for Intel CPU's.

For generalized performance you can take a look at these benchmarks. - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ - 1463
Athlon II X2 270 - 1988
Athlon II X4 650 - 3663
Core i3-2100 - 3603

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-system-bottleneck.196864/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi, I've been away camping for a couple of weeks and now that I'm back my desktop computer no longer connects to the internet. As I state in the title, however; the signal strength says it's "very good".

I've tried removing the connection and re-adding it, I've tried moving the wireless USB/removing and potential disturbances, but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated!

A:Signal strength: Very good, Access: Limited connectivity

Turn off the Modem
Turn off the Router
Turn off the PC
Turn off all network gear

Do this for 30 seconds.

Then slowly turn on the modem (DSL or Cable)
Then the router
Any switches
Then the PC
Then the rest of your network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/signal-strength-very-good-access-limited-connectivity.195843/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi guys,
I need some help. I have aseagate 1TB ext. hard drive. I cansee it as G drive bit cannot access the files. Strangely I did get the same issue some time back and I ran th seagate tools and the bad sector was resolved. This time I was trasfereing the video files and after completing the task the drive is visible in my computer but I cannot access the files. Whole lot of data is stuck and pretty important too. Kindly suggest a solution.
Windows 8 in use

Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-access-files.195769/
Relevancy 17.2%

My Dell laptop recently stopped connecting to the wireless router at my house. Every other device in the house that uses the internet connects perfectly, however my laptop says that is connected, but above that it says "Unidentified Network - No Internet access". I haven't installed anything new on it except the latest version of Java. It is a Windows 7 laptop and this problem has never happened before. How can I fix it so I can use the internet again?

A:My Dell laptop will not give me access to the internet via my wireless router

Hi Algeroch,

Click on the links below to troubleshoot and resolve Wired and Wireless Networking Issues on your Dell computer.

Wireless Networking for the Home: http://dell.to/105mWOZ
Wired Internet Connection for the Home: http://dell.to/122rnZ5

Please reply if you have further queries. We would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards,
Babita G
#iworkforDell

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-laptop-will-not-give-me-access-to-the-internet-via-my-wireless-router.194606/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi. I use a 1tb external hard drive to store music, photos and movies. I use it on my Imac, also on my Asus e-book. I see that the external hard drive is partitioned into two. How or why I don't know. What I do know is that the first part is now full, and I cant see the second part when plugged into the USB on either computer. Could anyone help me by suggesting how I can access the second 500gig? Id appreciate answers in plain English, I really dont understand more than the basics, and the clearer ans simpler the answers the more I will learn, and thanks to all those about to read this !

A:Unable to access both partitions on external hard drive

Back-up all your data on the first partition.​
Right click on "My computer" and click "manage".This should take you to the computer management screen.​
Look at the left, you should see an option that says "Disk Management"; Click on it.​
You should be able to see all the disc partitions, find your External HDD partitions.​
Right-Click on the 2nd partition and delete it.​
After that right click on your first partition and select the option to "Extend Partition"​
​If you are confused, or need confirmation for anything please don't hesitate to ask.​

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-access-both-partitions-on-external-hard-drive.195074/
Relevancy 14.62%

Hey all new here Hoping for some advice Last night I was playing my games when suddenly my Bigfoot Network Adapter crashed I rebooted thrice attempting to have it come back to no avail I began using my Wireless adapter in its place The next morning I booted up to find that the Bigfoot Network Adapter had come back but with an issue My computer is showing that it is connected to the network and I can read all network computers and access copy write files to other systems on the network The issue is I have no internet on my computer I have tried booting multiple games with them crashing they never crashed as such before even with Internet' 'Access type: Internet no but no internet and tried even booting Skype which crashed when attempting to connect to the internet I m afraid I ve done some tweaking that I shouldn t have considering I was attempting to run my game with lowest ping But I ve only used installable proxy programmed such as SmoothPing and FixMyLag Any help would be appreciated Please PC Specs Intel Core i GHz GB Corsair Vengeance GB Vertex SSD Windows Ultimate SP If there s anything I ve missed do tell New to this fixing 'Access type: Internet' but no Internet stuff Cj nbsp

A:'Access type: Internet' but no Internet

Have you reinstalled your WLAN drivers?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-type-internet-but-no-internet.194794/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have a Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop that is a couple of years old. I recently had my Norton protection end and I turned on the Windows Defender, but my computer has been running really slow and acting up. I have been getting a S.M.A.R.T. hard drive error when my computer starts as well. I tried restoring my computer to an earlier setting, but that didn't work. I don't know what to do, and I really could use some help. When I ran an error check on the c hard drive this is what it said: WDC WD32 00BEVT-26A23T0 SATA Disk Device volume: c/. So please if anyone can help me fix this problem or how to fix it that would be great!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wdc-wd32-00bevt-26a23t0-sata-disk-device-volume-c.194628/
Relevancy 17.63%

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
Tried a few things with no luck so far.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.
Seems like this is a common problem with Vista.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

A:Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Go to the Device Mgr, expand Network Adapters and look for yellow or red flags. It's most likely that the driver is missing or needs to be updated.

If there's any driver at all, then the led lights near the ethernet cable will be on.

Uninstall the existing driver (but do not delete it) and reboot.
The system should find the device and use the autoconfig feature to install the
correct one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-access-only-with-wireless-using-windows-vista.194148/
Relevancy 18.06%

Good morning everyone,

My database at work has hit a snag. Whenever I open it I get this error (see attach.) Once I click on yes, it still does not open. It just shows the loading circle (Vista) constantly...

A colleague and myself are the only ones who use this database - it holds 17,000+ files that we have to track. Hers works fine, albeit slowly.

Any help out there with this one? Always appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-access-database-issues.194266/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hello, im looking to build my own home surveillance system to act as a DVR with cameras. im looking to build it inside a normal midtower computer case. but I want all the cameras to be hooked directly to the computer and have a few terabytes of storage. some lists of ideas and/or builds you would like to share would be ideal.

A:Home surveillance system custom build ideas?

Have you contacted NSA?

P.S.
Ignore my stu-pid attempt at humor, I couldn't resist with all the NSA news going around. I'm sure someone with actual experience will join in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-surveillance-system-custom-build-ideas.194183/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hello. I want to find out why Windows does this cheking to my Memory Card. It happened while booting. After "Checking file system on D:
The type of the file system is FAT32." and other stuffs like: "Unrecoverable error in folder \System Volume Information\catalog.wci.", or "\Sounds\FosterThePeople-PumpedUpKicks(ButchClancyRMX).mp3 first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated." and "Cross link resolved by copying.
\Images\IMG00502-20121218-1525.jpg is cross-linked on allocation unit 6984." After this proces Windows started normaly. I've cheked my documents on the card and found out that some images were damaged and some old music appeared, but only samples, from about 18 seconds to 56. I foud, also, a "BOOTEX.LOG" file, written in Notepad. Could you explain what happened, please? &sorry if there are some bad spelled words.

A:Checking file system on D: The type of the file system is FAT32

It perhaps got removed incorrectly while some programs still had the file data open/in memory. I'd pull everything off the card, format it, and put the data back.

What is the card in? Does it have to be FAT32? Could you use ExFAT instead?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/checking-file-system-on-d-the-type-of-the-file-system-is-fat32.193835/
Relevancy 34.4%

I have a Gateway, model ID49C. I bought it new about 3 years ago but replaced its battery less than a year ago.

This phenomenon has been happening for more than a year: When I plug in my computer to charge, sometimes the front power light (orange when charging) and the light for the power button start flashing in unison and the computer stops receiving charge. It immediately stops when I unplug the computer. This only seems to happen when the computer is open -- I can still fully charge it overnight. Lately it's started to happen so often that my computer can barely charge at all from the number of times I have to unplug it.

Does anyone know what's going on, or where I could look to find more info? Thanks for your help!

A:Gateway: Power light flashes when charging

Try another AC adapter...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gateway-power-light-flashes-when-charging.193876/
Relevancy 16.34%

I m looking to buy computers to be used for Adobe Premiere Pro Budget needs to be kept in mind as we don t have limitless money Currently have two specs suggested by our supplier what are peoples thoughts Spec CPU Intel Pentium Premiere Spec Pro For Adobe System G Cores Threads GHz RAM X GB DDR SSD GB Kingston System Spec For Adobe Premiere Pro SSD GPU Sapphire AMD Radeon HD GB Spec CPU Intel Core i - Cores Threads Ghz RAM X GB DDR SSD GB Kingston SSD GPU Sapphire AMD Radeon HD GB The main thing I m interested in is the CPU and GPU is the i worth it over the Pentium about a price difference per computer Is the Graphics Card good enough It is not on the recommended list by Adobe for Premiere Pro will that be an issue Should we pick another that is recommend Intel Pentium G http ark intel com products Intel-Pentium-Processor-G - M-Cache- -GHz Intel Core i - http ark intel System Spec For Adobe Premiere Pro com products Intel-Core-i - -Processor- M-Cache-up-to- -GHz nbsp

A:System Spec For Adobe Premiere Pro

What is your budget for each computer? Because both PCs will struggle greatly in Premier Pro.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-spec-for-adobe-premiere-pro.193635/
Relevancy 17.63%

My Sengate T external HD it access initialize Can't -- won't external drive hard has been working for years It has vital back ups files movies docs etc I CANNOT AFFORD TO LOOSE ANYTHING I am a DJ and also have over tracks on there I was using the external HD on a Windows laptop and accidentally pulled the USB cable out of the port while it was loading and changing the quot Permissions for SYSTEM and Authenticated User quot on a specific file on my external HD When I plugged it back in the drive showed up on my computer as normal but would Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize not open After reading a few posts I went to the device manager deleted the drivers for the external HD then when I Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize plugged it back in it updated the drivers and told me me my device is now working properly and ready to use and my drivers are up to date But now it wont show up on my Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize computer at all I went into disk management and the Disk had an icon with a picture of a HD with a red arrow facing down in a white circle under Disk it says Unkown empty line Not Initialized I then right clicked and it said offline When trying to get it back online it says quot The system cannot find the file specified quot In the properties under Volumes it says Disk Disk Type Unknown Status Not Initialized Partition style Not Applicable Capacity MB Unallocated space MB Reserved space MB When I try to Initialize Disk it says quot The system cannot find the file specified quot I have tried it on every port and on a different PC running Vista as well as on my TV which now says quot no USB device plugged in quot PLEASE HELP I NEED TO FIX THIS or at least find a way to BACK IT UP and transfer ALL the data onto another drive nbsp

A:Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize

Similar thing happened to me.. I'd love to hear an answer on how to recover the data as some of it is rather important.. Good luck DJC, I'll check back in and hopefully we will have our files back!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-external-hard-drive-it-wont-initialize.189277/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find another place to right about my issue, I have the same laptop, and I have the weirdest problem!

My screen turns on but I can't install any OS, I have tried Ubuntu, windows 8, windows xp.... for example for windows 8 it shows a logo and then a blank screen, for Ubuntu I can't even boot from CD!

I have tried CD, usb drive
I have ran PC-CHECK, and it says no problem!
I have taken out the hd, and dvd drive to just boot from CD, and still nothing!

I have also updated the bios to the latest version from acer's website, this is so frustrating please help me
your help is appreciated in advance

A:Can't install any operating system

What is the make and model of your laptop? Have you changed anything in your Bios other then updating to the latest version? Did you update to the latest version of the bios before or after you started having problems?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-install-any-operating-system.193122/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi.

Some how my Enter Key has started to mute and unmute the master volume.
Doesn't mater when I press the button. While playing a game or even using excel, every time I press enter volume mutes and the when I press enter again it unmutes.

I use Windows 7 ultimate bit64

Solutions please

A:Pressing Enter Key Mutes & Unmutes Master Volume

Hi Ronnie09,

The Enter key normally does not regulate volume control on most computers. What is the system model of your computer?

Thanks and regards,
Babita G
#iworkforDell
For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pressing-enter-key-mutes-unmutes-master-volume.193160/
Relevancy 17.63%

Objects available : Laptop with windows vista(32 Bit Home Basic SP 2)
: iPAD
: Tata Docomo internet data card

PROBLEM : I connect to internet via data card on my laptop. I want to share this internet connection on my iPAD which I am not able to do.

After connection to internet via data card on laptop, I created a wireless ad hoc connection. Which creating ad hoc connection I do not get the option of " SHARE INTERNET".
On iPAD this network is detected and the iPAD connects to this network.
On Laptop it is then shown this way :-

MY LAPTOP -------------------- MULTIPLE NETWORKS ----------------- INTERNET

But still the internet on iPAD doesnt get activated.

Plz help. ...

A:Access data card internet on laptop through wifi

GOT THE SOLUTION.!!!
After extensive search on the internet, I got 1 solution. Unchecking the option "ALLOW SHARE OF CONNECTION" in properties of the data card internet. Then setting up of an ad hoc connection, will get the option "SHARE INTERNET CONNECTION".

Thank You

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-data-card-internet-on-laptop-through-wifi.193231/
Relevancy 17.63%

I m hoping to get some help on this because I ve spent hours and hours during the last days trying to fix this problem on my own No luck Please I m trying to connect to a public wifi network at home on my laptop Lenovo ThinkPad and while it shows that the computer none but Unidentified network. Packets No access. internet set received. is connected to the network it shows quot unidentified network no internet access quot and I Unidentified network. Packets set but none received. No internet access. m unable to go online My housemate has a Mac laptop and it connects without any problems When I go to quot Wireless Network Connection Status quot it shows that packets have been sent but received Operating System is Windows bit This is what I get from the ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Dasha-THINK Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Mixed IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address - - E-EE- - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description b g n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter II Physical Address - - E-EE- - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ecbc a a e Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -D - F- F- - - E-BB-C -B DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address - - E-BB-C -B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes As you can the default gateway is blank I run McAfee and I already tried disabling the firewall and then uninstalling McAfee thinking it s the cause of my problem but nothing changed When I try to ping I get lost and packets sent and received I hope someone will be kind enough to offer some ideas Thanks nbsp

A:Unidentified network. Packets set but none received. No internet access.

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.161.62(Preferred)Click to expand...

that's the problem - - not attached to your router.
"Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed" is typically the reason.

save the attached file to disk and rename by removing the .TXT suffix

double click and allow the change.

disconnect the ethernet cable, wait 30 seconds and then reattach it

+30 seconds more and repeat the IPCONFIG /ALL

you should see Note Type hybrid and a real IP address

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unidentified-network-packets-set-but-none-received-no-internet-access.193127/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi Everyone As you can see by the title I m having a few strange issues At random points during the day my mouse moves and sometimes right clicks system volume mutes itself and turns itself down and lastly the DVD drive randomly opens them immediately closes a couple times a day First thought was quot Someone is playing a prank on me quot because it s my work computer and has various shadowing remote control tools on it like UltraVNC and Teamviewer however stopping these services did nothing Then I thought it might be a virus or hacking tool system runs Sophos anti-virus and the computer is behind a pretty powerful corporate firewall nonetheless I ran MalwareBytes HijackThis and Spybot Search amp Destroy and they found nothing I ve also tried replacing the mouse and keyboard just in case but still nothing Is anyone able to help shed some light on DVD Opening Mousing Volume By Themselves Muting and Moving, Drive these issues Not particularly keen to reformat my work machine and put myself out of action for a few hours Cheers David nbsp

A:Mousing Moving, Volume Muting and DVD Drive Opening By Themselves

Any updates on this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mousing-moving-volume-muting-and-dvd-drive-opening-by-themselves.191698/
Relevancy 22.36%

So basicly the title says it I have my cooler master case w o the side window and ive been wanting to add some more fans to it I was wondering how much would if benefit if I added more side fans mm as in cooler temperatures for my pc mainly I want to add these to the case will I benefit from them at all http www coolermaster com product Detail cooling case-fan sickleflow-x-non-led html or with the led probably and another question I have my cpu which is oced to and the temps arent that hot as I never rly go that intesive unless im playing cpu bound games like gw in the heavy parts on wvw I was wondering if there was a good air cooler for my intel i - k it currently runs on but I w/o window Cooler Master 431 Side Cooling wish Cooler Master 431 w/o Side window Cooling to push it abit more could u list some good air coolers on the euro margin the hyper evo is in my mind but will it be enough nbsp

A:Cooler Master 431 w/o Side window Cooling

That is a good cooler, but I personally like at your budget range the Thermaltake CLP0575 Frio http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106178

But either will do you fine for 4.0ghz on a 3570k

As for more airflow, adding more fans can help, but make sure to just focus on having a good overall flow through the case which will be a huge benefit in general.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cooler-master-431-w-o-side-window-cooling.192814/
Relevancy 16.34%

Ok so im setting up a speaker system in a gym and I was originally looking at using ipad control to access music and then play through the speakers, found that too expensive so I found these :

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20167
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20712

Now all I need is a speaker system (5.1) that has USB on it, I thought I found one with the Logitech Z906:

http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/speaker-system-Z906?crid=47

But doesn't seem to have it anymore?
Anyone know of any products which could help me out?

A:Need a 5.1 speaker system with USB input

5.1 is pointless for music, as music is 2-channel. Purchase any powered speakers and the product on your first link and you'll be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-a-5-1-speaker-system-with-usb-input.192654/
Relevancy 18.06%

Last week, I has a good time with my families and taken some great photos.
But, unfortunately, after plunging SD card into my laptop, it became really weird.
It was continuously telling me to format this SD card every time I attempted to open it in My Computer. But, I could see there is still 1GB data.
How could I access these photos without formatting?

A:How could I access these photos without formatting?

If you format the card, you will lose your photos and everything else on it for sure. I don't know if this will help but instead of plugging the card into the laptop directly, try leaving the SD card in the camera and use a cable (that should have come with the camera) to connect the camera to a USB port on the laptop. Refer to your camera manual for specifics but I don't think you need to install any software.

If this doesn't work, your SD card may have failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-could-i-access-these-photos-without-formatting.192435/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi all,

I have a Micro SD card (4GB). When I put it to my computer (windows 7 ultimate 32-bit) from USB port, I can't access into it. And writes "Removable disk G:" (like below image) and doesn't show other specifications of that volume. And when I double click on it, a pop up window appears and says "Please insert a disk into removable disk G:". I used some commands line "chkdsk /f G:" in command prompt window, but it also writes "can not open volume for direct access". And also right click does not work on that volume for format it. In the command prompt also formatting results the same for chkdsk /f g: as message unfortunately.

Is there any way to access into that volume?
Thank you.

A:Cannot access to a MicroSD card

Is "removable disk G" there all the time? Often times card readers just show up in My Computer whether anything is in there or not.

What happens if you remove and insert the card while having Disk Management open? Does anything change in there?

Can you connect the device that uses the card to the computer through a USB cord? Is the card readable that way?

If those all fail, then, I'd suggest finding out what card reader it is and downloading the drivers for it (just in case) and then deleteing it through device manager and rebooting.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-access-to-a-microsd-card.192317/
Relevancy 17.63%

I've got a guy who wants to double password protect his wifi. I know that having strong encryption, and a long password with alpha-numeric and non-alpha-numeric characters would work better for him, but I'm not sure I can convince him of that. Is there a way that I can require two passwords to get into a wireless network?

A:Can I require two passwords to access a wireless network?

I dont think it is possible unless you invest in some expensive hardware such as those at businesses (where you need to login on a login page).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-require-two-passwords-to-access-a-wireless-network.192153/
Relevancy 17.2%

I run Windows WD MyPassport TB Problems first started about halfway into a Vuze transcode for a movie the randomly External WD HD denied messages. giving me access My started is original file and the transcode folder are both on the drive First it wasn t letting me My WD External HD randomly started giving me access is denied messages. right-click delete rename the option for those wasn t on the right click list but everything else was I restarted and still the same I did the Check Disk in the HD menu I ticked the recover bad sector box and it wasn t moving didn t feel like waiting so I stopped it My WD External HD randomly started giving me access is denied messages. and afterwards anything I tried to do gave me quot access is denied quot I forgot that I had formatted it into ExFAT so my TV would recognize it and I had movies files were gig in size which might cause problems It says under the security tab it is quot unable to display current owner quot I would really rather not format it s not even letting me select it for lack of privileges but if that s all I can do then so be it It s saying it has no used space or available space its half full nbsp

A:My WD External HD randomly started giving me access is denied messages.

I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it seemed to work, it said there was something wrong with it still and promted me to do another check disk scan which said there were no problems (I didnt select the "bad sector" option) (durr!) but I remember it doing something similar before, should I format it back to NTFS, Is that what is causing the problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-wd-external-hd-randomly-started-giving-me-access-is-denied-messages.191994/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi,

I've had a problem with my speakers for a while. They will just stop working if I skip forward a few songs on iTunes. They also stop working when I skip forward in time in a song in iTunes, or when I skip forward in time on youtube videos.

Disabling and enabling the speakers in playback devices usually fixes this problem. Restarting my computer always fixes the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

A:Volume Stops Working When Using Audio/Video Media

Can you tell me what is under the "Sound, video and game controllers" tab in device manager like this:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/volume-stops-working-when-using-audio-video-media.191962/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi, my sister accidentally pressed something in the router- (she things it was the repeater setting) now, I can no longer access the router. I still have internet access but I can't seem to access the router.

I tried searching via the cmd line. ipconfig /all and I got this:

Host name.... : xxxxx
Primary Dns Suffix...... (blank)
Node Type..... Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled.... NO
WINS Proxy Enabled... NO

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
(disconnected)

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix.... : (blank)
Description......... Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

the confusing part was the Default gateway shows : 49.144.0.1 but the default router was supposed to be 192.168.1.1... it's beyond my google-fu powers.

A:Can access internet but can't access router

Your (all) routers always have two addresses; the public address (like 49.144...) give it by the ISP and the private LAN address (like 192.168.1.1 which is very typical).

To access and configure your router, place the LAN address of the router into your browser as a url and hit enter.
You should get a prompt for the router user-id/password.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-access-internet-but-cant-access-router.191927/
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi guys hope every things good there, im fine but im facing some issues with my lenovo z580 it started 2 days ago, the laptop just don't go into sleep mode when I close the lid I removed the power management software, reinstalled but nothing the problem remains does anyone faced the same or similar issue before? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

A:Lenovo z580 no sleep with lid closed

What power management software did you remove? You can't remove the windows power management features.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lenovo-z580-no-sleep-with-lid-closed.191918/
Relevancy 16.34%

New here so not sure where to ask this question and hope I'm in the right place. When my pc sits idle for a while, the fan starts to run & doesn't stop when I move the mouse to come out of sleep. The fan runs with nothing happening & the screen remains black. The only way to stop it is to power it off. I can wait a minute & power it back up. It re-boots & everything appears to be fine after that. The power button also blinks more times than not but everything seems to be running okay. When the computer sits idle again for a period of time, I go through the whole thing all over again. Can anyone offer a resolution to this or can I expect my pc to go out on me in the near future?

Thanks,
Heelsfan

A:PC fan runs when my system is idle

Try changing the power-down settings for your drives, CPU, etc. in Control Panel/Power Options/Edit Plan settings/Change Advanced Power Settings - there you can configure all power options for all hardware. Try changing just one setting at a time and waiting to see if the problem goes away. That way maybe you can figure out what is causing the problem. If nothing else works, try disabling CPU c-states in the BIOS. Certain hardware and software configurations have conflicts with Windows and can sometimes be fixed by changing settings. Also, make sure all fans and heat sinks are free of dust (by blowing out with compressed air if possible).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-fan-runs-when-my-system-is-idle.191119/
Relevancy 17.2%

Our internet goes from:

Comcast modem to a
Dlink DIR-655
To computers or through a switchbox to other parts of the house
In the basement, is another switch box, and off that switchbox is,
Belkin 85c Wireless router, that we use as an access point
Works well but it says it has the ability to have a guest login, that will allow visitors to get to the internet, but are blocked from our LAN.

I've spent hours trying to set the guest login up, the access point can be seen by a computer/etc, but when they connect, they cannot get to the internet.

the windows 7 computers try to set up an unidentified public network.

I'm sure there is something very simple I am missing, but I've got close to 20 hours invested in it, and need to protect my network.

the Windows 7 notebook said that it could not connect with a "homegroup".

A:Belkin 85c wireless router, used as an access point. Guest setup?

Hmm; I cant find "Belkin 85c Wireless router" on the Belkin Support site - -
Are you sure of that make/model number?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/belkin-85c-wireless-router-used-as-an-access-point-guest-setup.190913/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have sold my computer yesterday and told the person to contact me if there are any issues. She did.
Apparently she is having issues that her microphone volume, both the one with webcam and the headphones, is too low. She said that she checked the settings in the audio control panel and everything was fine there.
I know it isn't a hardware issue because I did not have the same issue in either Windows 7 or Windows 8 on that computer. Before I gave the PC to her I did do a clean install of Windows 8.
I told her to install the Realtek drivers to see if that would fix the issue, but I am wondering if anyone else had that issue and what they'd done to fix it.

It's a built-in audio chipset Realtek ALC 887 on an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 with Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

A:Microphone volume is too low

Tell her to run these:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioRecording/
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microphone-volume-is-too-low.190926/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello all I m having a pretty unique issue My laptop s battery died recently out of the blue HP DV t I purchased a replacement battery The battery seems to be working fine holds a charge well It doesn t fit perfectly there s a slight amount of quot jiggling quot but I can jiggle the battery around and the power does not turn off or anything When I close the lid to my laptop it goes resume during Shutdown system into sleep mode When I reopen the lid the log in Shutdown during system resume screen appears and then the laptop dies I can manually turn it on again after seconds or after removing the battery and putting it back in This does not occur when the laptop is plugged in I have been trying to experiment to see what else triggers this to happen I have found that when I go into quot Hibernation quot mode and then wake the laptop up it dies during the quot system resume quot process It will continue to repeatedly die during system resume until it is plugged into a charger and then starts up normally Does this sound like a faulty battery issue or something more Where in the world can I find a reputable source for a HP DV T battery Running Windows Home Premium -bit for the record I m inclined to just blame the battery but as the old battery is dead I cannot know for sure nbsp

A:Shutdown during system resume

Yes, I would return that "cheap" battery and make sure that you get a equavalent battery with the same HP part number

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shutdown-during-system-resume.190883/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi I am a novice here so do excuse any technical inaccuracies in reporting this problem First let me specify my system configuration and then the problem My system configuration is as below AMD Athlon II X Processor GHz on MSI GMA-E motherboard with GB X GB Kingston DDR RAM My OS is Windows Ultimate Ed bit Now I have three HDDs installed inside the CPU the CMOS whirring system noise slowdown & HDD setup details of which are as below IDE Primary Master Seagate ST A GB capacity IDE Primary Slave Samsung SV H GB capacity SATA Hewlett Packard DVD Writer d ATAPI SATA Western Digital WDC WDS AADS - S B GB capacity The WDC Western Digital SATA drive is my main HDD the most recent one bought and installed on September The OS Windows is installed on the C partition of this drive and my system boots from this drive I ve created three partitions on this drive as follows C - GB approx HDD whirring noise & system slowdown D - GB approx E - GB approx The IDE drives are old HDDs that I was using around in an old system and are filled with important data movies mp s ebooks official HDD whirring noise & system slowdown docs etc They contain no OS system files The Samsung IDE HDD whirring noise & system slowdown drive has partitions while the Seagate IDE drive has no partitions So effectively my HDD structure on Windows Explorer in my computer looks as below C WDC SATA partition D WDC SATA partition E WDC SATA partition F DVD Writer G Seagate IDE partition H Seagate IDE partition I Seagate IDE partition J Samsung IDE Now here s the problem As long as I keep working on the data whether it is watching movies listening to music or accessing anything stored on the new WDC SATA drive C D and E partitions the system works great But the moment I try to access any data from the older IDE drives the system slows down drastically followed by a whirring noise obviously from the old drives After about - minutes the system is back to normal so long as I am working on the C D or E partitions of the SATA WDC drive Is there any way I can prevent this slowdown without having to remove the older IDE drives from inside the CPU I cannot afford to delete any of the data from the older IDE drives And if removing them is the only option is it possible to access the data in the older IDE drives externally by simply connecting them through the USB port How can I go about doing that Thanks in advance for any advice in this regard nbsp

A:HDD whirring noise & system slowdown

I don't really have good suggestions for you, but:
- The HDDs are probably old and dying. IDE ribbon cables are obsolete technology.
- If you get rid of them, you can use 'Roadkils unstoppable copier' or similar, and copy them to your WDC. 100GB total, you might have this space.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-whirring-noise-system-slowdown.190644/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone knows of a good mod guide, or has even done a 500R window mod. I mean replacing the mesh and putting in a window. If you could guide me towards something decent I would appreciate that.

baN

A:Corsair 500R side panel window mod

http://www.overclock.net/t/1359085/case-mod-build-log-corsair-500r-side-panel-window-mod
Overclock.net is great for hardware mods.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corsair-500r-side-panel-window-mod.190190/
Relevancy 25.8%

Symptom When gaming with my buddies they are always complaining that my mic is way to low What I have Creative HS- Headset Plug and Play USB How I have set up so that voice chat comes through my ears and everything else goes through the speakers I use a program called Trillian with a Skype add-on What I tried Turning the mic volume up to the max in Trillian Turning the mic volume up to the max in the properties of the device Sound-Recording-Microphone Turning headset HS-720 problem) (mic Creative volume Automatic Gain Control off and putting everything up Turning AGC on Turned Listening off Switched to dvd quality Switched to cd quality Allow applications to take control skype in this case Googled for drivers but no luck at all Tried pushing it closer to my face then my friends complain of breathing noises which is quiet Additional Information I am running Windows bit Pro I have BT Infinity Internet Mbps Down Mbps Up The headset is plugged into a standard USB slot I have had Creative HS-720 headset (mic volume problem) this problem since I had the mic but never got around to trying to fix it until now Question How can I amplify my mic s volume for better use nbsp

A:Creative HS-720 headset (mic volume problem)

Bump

Does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/creative-hs-720-headset-mic-volume-problem.189741/
Relevancy 16.34%

Building a comp for a friend, budget is to be as low as possible (sub AUD$350 hopefully, check www.centrecom.com.au for prices).

She's going to be using it for basic computing (web browsing, watching DVDs) and basic photoshop. This computer is replacing an 8 year old laptop (to give you an idea how much computing power she really needs).

I'm thinking Intel G550, just because she'll get better use of more CPU power over the better graphics the AMD5300 would offer.

I really just need a suggestion for CPU, but if you have a motherboard suggestion that would be good, and if you really want, feel free to build a complete box (if you do, she doesn't need a storage HDD, just a boot HDD/SSD depending on budget).

Thanks in advance.

A:AMD or Intel for basic system?

For basic PC usage a G550 will be fine since those tasks don't really make use of multiple cores or threads. But I'd be more inclined to go for a G860/G870, they don't cost that much more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-or-intel-for-basic-system.187122/
Relevancy 43.86%

My problem is I cant open the drive. But in My Computer window, it did display the drive but I cant do anything. Windows prompt me to format the disk which I already did but I got this popup "cannot open volume for direct access".

These are the solutions that I tried but failed:-

Use TestDisk but it doesnt even detect the drive.
Disk Management also didnt detect the drive.
Already used Command Prompt to repair the disk. It display this "Cannot open volume for direct access" which I run it as admin.

Here I provide a screenshot for reference.

A:Cannot open volume for direct access

Hmm; that's the primary partition with Windows on it - - can never format or partition the C:\ while booted from it

WHY are you attempting this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-open-volume-for-direct-access.189735/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have 2 computers both running windows xp sp3. Both computers have all of the same services running and startup. Both computers are on the same network and CAN access the public documents folder from the server. However, only 1 computer can access the external network drive. The other gets an error of no permission to access it. Why can 1 access the external network drive and not the other? They both have the same configuration except being the same brand of computer. The network has 2 other clients running windows 7 which work fine. The server is running windows 7. None of the computers are running a firewall or other security. Any ideas?

A:Can't access eternal network drive

Are they logged in using the same user?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-eternal-network-drive.189275/
Relevancy 16.34%

Microphone Jack isnt working microphone isnt being read what is the problem the sound card or the Jacks themselves the mic isnt the problem cause it works on the laptop just not on the pc..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microphone-works-on-one-system-but-not-another.189222/
Relevancy 15.91%

I got a system in recently with a weird issue It would reset after a few sticks, System restarts memory fine two with with one minutes and then shorter and System restarts with two memory sticks, fine with one shorter intervals on restart continually I tested for all the normal stuff power supply temperature unplugged the video card and checked the error logs but only the unexpected restarts were listed with no suspicious events around them If I removed a memory stick it ran fine though I thought it was a bad stick but I ran memtest on both sticks without errors for a few passes Immediately though if I plug in both sticks the system won t stay on for more than a minute or two I adjusted just about every bios setting concerning memory without change and tried loading bios failsafe defaults Anyways I m considering between just telling the owner that the system can only support one ram stick now likely due to some motherboard fault or trying to do a bios update though I m a bit hesitant that if there are issues with the motherboard maybe I should just leave the bios version alone I d be interested in hearing others takes on the issue CPU- AMD Athlon X GHZ Motherboard- amd gm-m RAM- CORSAIR CM X - C MHZ System restarts with two memory sticks, fine with one - - - nbsp

A:System restarts with two memory sticks, fine with one

Often a faulty memory stick will work by itself, but then fail once running in duel channel.

Unfortunately this is very difficult to test with two sticks, so there's no guarantee that this is the issue. You may just have to buy some new memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-restarts-with-two-memory-sticks-fine-with-one.189047/
Relevancy 16.34%

Anybody here where can I watch how to create a system ? I want to learn to create a system .. can u help me.. thanks

A:How to create a system?

Probably the best PC building tutorial around. Make sure you watch all 3 parts.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-create-a-system.188978/
Relevancy 25.8%

Well here is the thing, I have bought JVC HA-M5X before let's say 1 month, so I have tested them on iPod and on another Machine but when I plug them in my PC they seem awfully low. They are 2 or 3 times louder on iPod or the another PC I have tried, they sound like I've plugged em in my phone. Here is a video and I'm sorry for my poor quality.

A:Windows 7 headphones volume problem

I have same problem.. with razer tiamat 2.2 and xonar dsx... very low output volume... I have tried many things to resolve but nothing has worked very well although I have seen best results using 16 bit, 44k to 48k sample rate, and I couldnt see in vid but if you have a digital output in playback tab leave it enabled and unmuted with speakers..., and in recording tab only have microphone and stereo mix enabled, disable the rest. also under communications tab change it to 'do nothing' option... I have found the front panel jack outputs much louder volume but doing that I dont beleive it takes advantage of the op amp in my xonar dsx sound card ... im still searching for a complete fix for this problem though.. hope this helps a bit atleast

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-headphones-volume-problem.187009/
Relevancy 16.34%

My processor is AMD athlon 64 x2 Dual Core processor 4400 + (2 CPU's)
Memory is 3.5gigs ram
Directx 11
Display is Radeon X1300/X1500 series.

Should I just get rid of my pc and get a new one when I can afford it or should I buy parts for it?

A:How do I turn my PC into a gaming system?

What kind of motherboard do you have? It'd let everyone know just how much you can upgrade it.. But I honestly think you should get a whole new computer. I can't see your motherboard being able to take any Quad-Core (or more) processors. Merely a guess atm though.

If you don't know your motherboard-- http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ --just download that and it will tell you.

If you do get a new computer you can safe your hard drive, cd-drom, power supply and case and save a few bucks. So all you'd really need is a Motherboard/CPU/GPU.. The power supply is a maybe, It depends on how many watts it is and what kind of connectors it has. Another thing you could let us know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-turn-my-pc-into-a-gaming-system.187169/
Relevancy 16.34%

Is there a list or something someone can link me? How much does 2.2 use? 4.4?

A:How much CPU and RAM does the Droid's operating system use?

Roughly, the Android OS uses 7GB. The CPU usage as well as the RAM usage depends on how many downloads and apps are running at a given time

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-much-cpu-and-ram-does-the-droids-operating-system-use.185761/
Relevancy 16.34%

My experience with computers is limited I want this to play iRacing http www iracing com membership system-requirements I already have a monitor keyboard mouse case graphics card Here is what I have so far looking to see if it will new Building for iRacing a system all work together in harmony ASUS P Z -M LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Building a new system for iRacing Gb s USB Micro ATX Intel Motherboard http www newegg com Product Produ rue amp Keywords keywords amp Page scrollFullInfo COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS -PCARE -US W ATX V V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E G SKILL Ripjaws X Series GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model F - CL D- GBXL http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Western Digital WD RE WD ABYX GB RPM MB Building a new system for iRacing Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive http Building a new system for iRacing www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk X DVD R X DVD RW X DVD R DL X DVD-R X DVD-RW X DVD-ROM X CD-R X CD-RW X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS - - OEM http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Microsoft Windows -bit Full Version - OEM http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E EVGA G-P -N -TR GeForce GT HDMI GB -bit DDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Thanks for your help in advance Let me know if I m missing anything I forgot the processor Intel Core i - Sandy Bridge GHz LGA W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX I http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Building a new system for iRacing

Hi I would make some changes:

ASRock H77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
EVGA 01G-P4-3650-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

I'm not quite sure if you said you already bought the graphics card. That'd be too bad IMO a 9800gt 1gb is a poor choice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-new-system-for-iracing.186855/
Relevancy 16.34%

My System is Motherboard Gigabyte GA- FXA-UD bios version F Proccessor AMD FX X SOCKET AM GHZ good FPS system low Very with MB CACHE NM Ram GB X mhz corsair ram HDD x gb WDB Sata HDD Graphic Cards MSI X AMD HD Crossfire My problem is I got seriosly low fps on everygame and I really need help because its really annoying trying to fix this like months now FPS in games like --- World of Warcraft MOP Ultra Settings with p res Min - fps-max Very low FPS with good system fps in main cities Very low FPS with good system and - other zones --- Witcher min fps max ultra settings with ubersampling on Min - max ubersampling off --- Battlefield min max p res all on ultra it was max when I was using driver with it drops to max somehow got texture flickering while looking far distance with sniper etc --- NFS Most Wanted Min Max with all settings on ultra Most people have better performance then me in games with same system less graphic card somehow Before this system I had AMD Phenom x ghz cpu gb mhz kingston ram with gtx and I made raid xWD GB HDD I was playing rift with min fps on p ultra settings supersampling on Then I formatted my pc when I opened rift I saw my fps was max with supersampling on So I changed my graphic card to single HD But this time it was fps more better in all games Some people said that my power supply watt xilence is low for that graphic card so I buyed a new one with watt xilence But I saw nothing changes I thought my cpu bottlenecking so I buyed current system on top and I saw that only more fps better in all games again I dont think this fps is normal with this system I tried nearly everyhing but nothing fix this problem Only I didnt change my hdd s yet Now most people says HDD is the problem but I dont wanna buy something for nothing again I plugged my second graphic card to x pc slot because of when I plug x both cards stick together and makes overheat problems I just changed it x to x after I got longer CF bridge cable Btw I tried second card in x - x and x pc slots all gives the same fps Here is a bechmark result while second card in x slot with windows http www dmark com dm And here is the second one with x slot windows http www dmark com dm I really need help atm because after all this changes my pc is like from year and im tired of searching what cause the problem nbsp

A:Very low FPS with good system

Is CF working? When I upgraded to 12.10 the second card wasn't being picked up so I rolled back to 12.8.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/very-low-fps-with-good-system.186825/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi,
I have wireless connection in my room and its working good.but I tried to connect through wire but am unable to do.when I connect lan cable to my lap from D-Link router it shows "UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK - NO NETWORK ACCESS"....Any one can help me to solve this issue

A:No network access

Turn your wireless adapter off on the laptop. Try rebooting the modem and router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-network-access.185980/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have home network with two PCs, one running win 7 and the other running win xp, we share files and so forth normal network stuff and also the same modem, but recently the Pc running win 7 wont connect to the internet while there is internet access on the win xp,normally I would just disable the LAN adapter and it would work nut after we shut down it comes back with the same problem and upon disabling it doesn't work anymore.

A:Network connected but no Internet access

What type of network adapter do you have in the Windows 7 PC?

(Brand, etc.)

~Alex

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-connected-but-no-internet-access.185729/
Relevancy 17.2%

I know enough about computers to follow advanced instructions but ive never dealt with WHATEVER my friend did to my computer and I dont really care but I need to reformat it and save read backup the hard drive heres exactly whats up simplified and I need a explanation of how to -Computer can turn on but it wont do anything - you cannot hold F or delete or anything because not even the first text appears - I cannot get a disk USB or anything else to boot from because it cannot get that far in loading what a basic computer is to even do that - it hard method access a externally drive to Explain computers can not respond to any kind of keyboard or mouse input and stays completly black altho a diffrent shade of black from either a off moniter or a Explain method to externally access a computers hard drive powered moniter with a off computer so I know the moniter is getting SOMETHING just nothing that does anything -it is not a faulty video cord it works fine on other computers I own and trying other monitors cords doesn t Explain method to externally access a computers hard drive work either -I have plenty enough space to do it the wrong way and install another OS while one is already installed and boot from that to backup the hard drive but the computer clearly cant even show anything let alone receive disk information or mouse or keyboard input to hit next anyway so that option is null -It is not overheated or underheated nor is it fan ishues or anything else stupid its clearly however more then a virus not to say a virus is also not present but unless some uber tier virus hit the net recently a virus is not the cause nor does it matter -I want to either preferably without taking it apart access the harddrive from another computer I have pretty much any cord it would require or to put it diffrently I have never needed a cord I did not own in the last year -I asume sence it stays powered on altho it doesn t do anything past that that the harddrive and disk drive the computer has are readable it just cant do anything about because it cant load anything to do anything so I asume theres some method to plug the computer itself into another computer and access the hard drive as a external or something to access it from another computer short of taking apart my computer with a screwdriver how do I access the hard drive externally and no I do not want someone to reply take it to a future shop or something thanks in advance I have never had a computer that couldn t emit video or rather cant even get to the process to emit video and honestly have no idea how to fix it il just reformat nbsp

A:Explain method to externally access a computers hard drive

Lets slow down and backup for a bit. You don't even need a hard drive in the system for it to post a screen. Unless you are simply trying to recover data, taking the drive out and connecting it to another computer is not going to gain you anything.

Disconnect the power cord from the power supply.
Take out all cards within the PC. If you don't have on-board graphics keep the graphics card in the PC.
Disconnect all drives, DVD's and HDD's.
Take out your memory modules so you can test them one at a time.
Pull out the coin size motherboard battery and put it back a few minute later.
Insert a memory module (try a different module later if you have more than one).
Make sure the monitor is connected
Connect the power cord to the power supply
Try and boot the system and then let us know what you see happening.

Are there any lights blinking or illuminated?
Are the fans spinning?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/explain-method-to-externally-access-a-computers-hard-drive.184910/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi,

My system is as follows:
ASUS P4PE Mobo
NVidia GeForce4 MX440 graphics with AGP8X
80GB HDD
512 MBRAM
Thermaltake PSU
Philips 17" Flatscreen Monitor

OK so my monitor has bit the dust. I dont want to upgrade any of my computer components because its too old. About 9.5 yrs. I want an LCD monitor thats going to overlap from now until I buy a complete new system. I dont want to buy a monitor that will be underspec'd for the new system. Im not very knowledgeable on their resolutions and whats not compatible or why, nor about aspect ratios and compatibility.

Question:
- My Video Card has a max resolution 1024x768 pix . Can I use a 16.9 and the standard resolutions of today?

Thanks for any help.

A:Replacing dead monitor for older system

You can use any monitor with any graphics card, with 2 caveats; must have compatible ports (DVI,VGA,HDMI,DisplayPort) or use an adapter, and your resolution will be limited to the component with the smaller value (your card's 1024x768). So until you build the new system, it will display the same size as your old one, with a wide black bar on either side (but should look better anyway). The sweet spot these days is 23" widescreen (less than $150), 24" under $200, and 27" start at $250. I have an Acer 23" and it's big enough for me. Remember, though, when you have a bigger monitor it will run at lower frame rates with a given video card, so keep that in mind when spec'ing the new system. Until 3 months ago I was where you are (Pentium 4 3.4 GHz). I gradually upgraded my parts until I ended up with this;

Asus P8Z77-V, Intel [email protected] GHz, Kingston HyperX [email protected] MHz, EVGA GTX 550 Ti [email protected] MHZ/2257 MHz, Corsair H100 liquid cooling, Ultra X4 750w, Corsair Carbide 400R, 2 x WDC Green 2TB, 1 x WDC Blue 500GB, 1 x Hitachi 400 GB, 1 x Hitachi 1TB external, LG M-Disc Super Multi DVD, 6 x 120mm case fans, Acer 23" [email protected], Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I've got about $1400 total in it (plus many months of research and list-making, which was half the fun) and it's so much faster I can hardly believe it, even without an SSD (soon!). So you can get a monitor now, then find a case you like and move into it, get your fans set up the way you want, then one day get a Z77 mobo and i5-3570K and switch everything over. You'll need a new hard drive, your old one is IDE and the new mobos are SATA. Later you can get a decent video card, faster RAM, an SSD, etc. BTW, the integrated Intel HD 4000 video on the 3570K is awesome, I used it for a week just to try it out, and it played most of my games okay. I envy you - for you, the fun is just beginning. New hardware aimed at the enthusiast market is a multi-billion dollar business now, so competition is fierce, prices are low, and great new stuff comes out almost daily. Do the research, read the reviews, and have fun.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacing-dead-monitor-for-older-system.185155/