Windows Support Forum

Change user to administrator

Q: Change user to administrator

I just setup my new computer. There is only 1 account, which was setup originally as administrator. It was changed to user and now I would like to change it back to administrator. How do I do this? FYI...when I click on add or remove user accounts, it asks for an administrator password, since I'm no longer an administrator, the password space is blocked.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Change user to administrator

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Change user to administrator

Only the administrator can give admin rights. I have no idea if this would work, but you could open the cmd prompt as administrator and enter

net user administrator /active:yes

This may make the administrator account show up. Your mileage may vary...

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/247779-change-user-administrator.html
Relevancy 71.81%

An account on my Windows 7 installation cannot have its type changed from an administrator to a user account.

I tried to change it using the cmd and I'm getting these messages:>net localgroup administrators AccountName /del
System error 1377 has occurred.

The specified account name is not a member of the group.

>net localgroup administrators AccountName /add
System error 1378 has occurred.

The specified account name is already a member of the group.
I recently used a livecd to change this account to an administrator since I had forgotten my password to another account, and now I need to change it back.

What should I do?

A:User is both an Administrator, and not an Administrator. Cannot change

If you login to an administrator account, you can try this.

Right click on Computer and select Manage. The Computer management console will open up. In this console on the left side select "Local Users and Groups". On the right side of this applet double click on "Users", Select the particular user you wish to change and right click on it and select "properties". Go to the "Member of" tab and you will see the different groups alloted to this user.

Now you can add, delete these groups to suit your requirement.

For changing the password for a user, right click on the username and select "Set Password".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/215428-user-both-administrator-not-administrator-cannot-change.html
Relevancy 70.09%

want to upgrade to windows 8.1 but i opened command prompt and saw i was logged in as user.
how do i change to admin to scan the system in order to continue my upgrade

A:how to change user to administrator

Open the command prompt with Administrator privileges and then type in net user administrator /active: yes before hitting the Enter key. Once it's told you this works, close the command prompt, log off, and now you should see the built-in Administrator account appear as a logon option. Click on that and, if it has no password, ensure you apply one once the profile is created.

Do what you need to do with that, log off, log into the original profile, open the command prompt with Administrator privileges and then type in net user administrator /active: no before hitting the Enter key. This will deactivate the built-in Administrator account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-user-to-administrator.1159584/
Relevancy 69.66%

I'm at a loss as to becoming the Administrator of my own machine. I guess I'm now a "a standard user" even though I built the machine and am the only user of it. I guess I never realized or knew how to make myself the admin for the machine. Now I cannot "own" files to make changes because I'm not the admin. Help please! How can I become the adminstrator?

A:How to Change to Administrator from Standard User?

Hi mendopaul

Try this .

Click on type CMD in search programs and files right click on CMD under Programs (1) choose Run as administrator click yes on the UAC window

Command prompt should open to this path C:\Windows\System32>_

Inside command prompt type in

Code:
net localgroup administrators {youraccountname} /add

Note

{youraccountname} is your account name without the brackets

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/285915-how-change-administrator-standard-user.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Okay Administrator accounts change User so this is my problem About two weeks ago my mother got to keep a laptop from work because she was moving schools and it was quot outdated quot It was User accounts Administrator change on a school domain so it had her login from the schools At the login page all i had to do was type quot name name quot and the password and that was fine She did not use the laptop anymore so she gave it to me Even though she was a administrator i was getting sick of logining in as her all the time so i tried User accounts Administrator change to create a new account I want in to controle pannel and tried to make one but it came up with domain and user name i tried to create a account but it was saying the trustrelationship with this domain and Lt-D- JK S the laptop were denied I went through another way to create a account through some workgroup thing it worked When i had to log on i would have to type Lt-D- Qjk S username and password It only happened about two days ago that it started to have some problems I could only log on to my account even though it had many different users in the laptops hard drive it would say that i got my password wrong when i tried to type them in the main problem is that i cant do anything because i am not an administrator and i kept being denied when trying making system changes and copy files on to a memory stick So plese help me if you can cause i really need it

A:User accounts Administrator change

Since you know how to log in with your mom's admin account that should give you access to those settings. Who are all the other users?
As admin why not delete the password, problem gone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/203303-user-accounts-administrator-change.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I changed my administrator user to standard user and now I can update any programs on my computer. when a user control window pops up its states to continue type an administrator password and click yes, the yes button is greyed out and does not allow me to enter a password.

A:change from standard user to administrator

You need to log on as an administrator user and change it back. What OS are you running on it? Allso how many other users are active ont he computer?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56869-change-standard-user-administrator.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hai
I am install windows 8 ,and my account is Administrator privileges ,if i see in control panel in User Accounts my account as Local Account Administrator Password Protected,but i cant run application as administrator,every time i need to click Run as administrator, and also i cant create folder or cant zip the folder in C drive.
it will show warning msg
" Cannot create mcl.rar A required privilege is not held by the client."

but i have administrator privileges .

Pls reply asap

Regards
Aravindb

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/36961-how-change-administrator-privileges-user.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I have a 2-month-old Dell Inspiron 15 notebook running Windows 8.0, and trying to upgrade to 8.1. I have plenty of HD space and 4GB memory. I have 2 user accounts, one with admin designation. I want to change the admin to the other, but I cannot. When I try to change the user accounts, I get a message requiring the account with admin to OK any changes. When I enter that account's password, I get a message that the password is incorrect. I changed the password in the "reset password" site online, but that password doesn't work in the change users part of the PC. So I am stuck. Right now, I cannot affect any changes to the system, because that requires the OK of the admin user account, and that in turn requires a password, which seems not to match the password that I entered for that account. Please advise. Thanks.

Sam K.

A:Cannot change administrator in user accounts

Hi Samkrit, welcome to the Eight Forums.

I assume your administrator account is a Microsoft Account and with "reset password site online" you mean the Windows Live (Hotmail, Outlook.com, MSN, Live) password reset site at https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx. Also, I assume you signed out from the original administrative Microsoft Account and signed in to your secondary standard account trying to change the account type from there.

If this is the case, sign in to your original administrative Microsoft Account using the new password. When signed in, change the account type of your secondary account from there, you don't have to be signed in to that account to change the type but instead can make all changes for all accounts from your administrative account:

First:

Then:
If changing the type of your secondary account now works, you can change your original account to standard.

Tutorial: User Account Type - Change in Windows 8

Kari

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/48840-cannot-change-administrator-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello -
When I did my initial install of Win7 (fresh install) I created my Administrator account with the name of "Denis". I would like to change the name of the Administrative account to "denisl". I went into control panel and changed the account name, which worked, but the folder remained named as "Denis" under the "users" folder. How do I rename the folder named "Denis" to "denisl"?

Thanks!

A:Change user folder name of Administrator account

take a look at this tutorial User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212928-change-user-folder-name-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I am using Vista Home Premium bit I currently have two accounts set up as an administrator One as my standard user account the other 'administrator' account I created awhile back when Adobe tech support helped me create it to troubleshoot installing adobe apps If I go to Control Panels - - gt User Access when I select any of the links quot Change your account name quot quot Change your account type quot Manage another account quot or quot Turn User Account Control on or off quot nothing happens Well I should say I get a windows UAC Accounts cannot is administrator, User but Account change dialog asking if I 'Agree' to make changes or whatever but then nothing happens I did try starting my PC in SafeMode but no change I tried starting up by setting 'msconfig' to have all services startup items off but that didn't help I can type quot control userpasswords quot to access stuff but I'm not sure if that helps me in anyway since I'm new to Vista Thanks

A:Account is administrator, but cannot change User Accounts

Have you Tried with Vista Administrator?

See Administrator Account For more Information

Hope This Helps,
Josh

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282789-account-administrator-but-cannot-change-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 68.8%

How to change user account administrator and doesn't need to log off

Hello good day, I need help here. im new window 7 user and im a gamer too

i have a online game played that is able to have dual screen, last time im using windows xp on playing online game and i can do the dual screen type of play by changing the administrator and doesn't need to re boot my computer. Now im using window 7 and tried the same procedure by creating a new user account administrator in control panel, but when i right click the game icon and run as administrator it just directly go to the client game, but in xp you can change direct the administrator, but here in windows doesn't. can anyone help me

A:How to change user account administrator and doesnt need to log off

Hello ILYOU, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if you were wanting "Run as different user" instead??

Run as Different User

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262108-how-change-user-account-administrator-doesnt-need-log-off.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I can not find any access to password for the Administrator user account. I have tried many options but that one is never listed. I am the administrator and there are no other accounts.

A:How do I change the administrator user account password in Windows 10?

If you're the administrator, and there are no other accounts, try the below steps.
Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options -> Change your password
That should do it. Does that do it?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/432376-how-do-i-change-administrator-user-account-password-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Aloha All My issue started when I tried to delete files in the hidden cache of Dropbox I went into quot my change Account Administrator Control & can't User Permissions computer quot clicked on my C drive scrolled down can't change Administrator User Account Control & Permissions to quot Users quot and found file quot All Users quot with a quot locked quot icon attached I clicked on it and up popped an error message that I don't have permission to access this folder can't change Administrator User Account Control & Permissions I rightclicked on properties followed by the security tab The security tab lists user can't change Administrator User Account Control & Permissions groups everyone system administrator When highlited none of these groups contained quot permissions quot I tried to quot edit quot the quot permissions quot which opened another quot permissions quot dialogue box I clicked on each permission in the quot allow quot list for each group to no avail I went back the the main quot users quot folder and found quot locked quot icons on other folders quot default user quot and quot administrator quot which is my wifes and my names I've read with interest some of the amp threads of a similar nature but none of the problems were quite the same and the fixes didn't help me Sure hope the community can help me resolve the issue I've provided a screenshot of the quot System quot page from Control Panel Mahalo for all the help Konadon

A:can't change Administrator User Account Control & Permissions

Another case of someone messing with permissions that they should not have messed with. "All Users" is nothing more then a junction to "C:\ProgramFiles" when you messed with the permissions of that junction you just messed up everything else concerning the system. See the links in my signature.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/320074-cant-change-administrator-user-account-control-permissions.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi,
I have visual studio installed on my machine C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe and whenever i am opening it , it is always running as Adminstrator. I wanted to change it to run it as the user logged.
I tried looking for reg key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers and 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
but couldnt able to find any. I also searched for RUNASADMIN in the registry key but i couldnt able to find this string as well.
Is there any other reg key i need to change to run devenv.exe as  NOT ADMINISTRATOR.
I am using Windows 7 Professional.
Regards
Pushpendra

Pushpendra

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/01b39049-90cc-43cf-ab28-c3e44ebb7aa2/exe-running-as-administrator-always-i-wanted-to-change-it-to-run-as-logged-user?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 67.08%

Friends,

i have windows 7 x64 in my dell precision notebook.
i have administrator user and tommy user.
tommy user is in admin group. but not able to execute any program but its account type is standard.
then i logged in as administrator and went to UAC there i try to change the account type of tommy user from standard to administrator.....as soon as i click the administrator's radio button. the "change account type" is disabling...its not enabling.
how can i solve this problem?

thanks
sathyguy

A:Change Account Type button is not enabled even as administrator user

Quote: Originally Posted by sathyguy

Friends,

i have windows 7 x64 in my dell precision notebook.
i have administrator user and tommy user.
tommy user is in admin group. but not able to execute any program but its account type is standard.
then i logged in as administrator and went to UAC there i try to change the account type of tommy user from standard to administrator.....as soon as i click the administrator's radio button. the "change account type" is disabling...its not enabling.
how can i solve this problem?

thanks
sathyguy

Welcome to the forum,

If the first two options aren't working for you in this tutorial,

User Account Type - Change

then you can try the other three and see if that works.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/204948-change-account-type-button-not-enabled-even-administrator-user.html
Relevancy 58.05%

So basically my brother put me on his domain thing and Cannot longer fails (server and anything do administrator) literally administrator logon no user it's caused me loads of problems and he doesn't want to fix them So now i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place When I try to log on as a user Jebus which is the user I currently use for most activities it says something about there being no logon servers to process Cannot literally do anything (server logon fails and administrator user no longer administrator) my request or something So I instead thought if I just created a new user and copied the files over Cannot literally do anything (server logon fails and administrator user no longer administrator) it should be fine But my Jebus user had admin rights so when I log onto the user Administrator it can't open most of my C Users folders so I can't even see what's inside the Jebus folder And when it asks for permission so I can access this file administrator credentials say they require Cannot literally do anything (server logon fails and administrator user no longer administrator) elevation and the Jebus credentials do nothing So now I'm just stuck on this administrator account and I can't do anything Please help

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/adf4a798-9577-4b2a-add6-bfb529bbede6/cannot-literally-do-anything-server-logon-fails-and-administrator-user-no-longer-administrator?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 58.05%

I never had this issue until I used the I As Am user) working from save the Issues Microsoft only Rights Office. Administrator and Administrator can't files (and free upgrade from Windows to Windows I am the only user of my PC I work with Microsoft Office When I open Microsoft Word Excel or any other program in the suite I have no problem not until I try to save the file I'm working on For example I open up Microsoft Word and work on a file I go to save it and I get You don't have permission to save in Administrator Rights Issues As I Am the Administrator (and only user) and can't save working files from Microsoft Office. this location Contact the administrator to obtain permission Would you like to save in the Administrator Rights Issues As I Am the Administrator (and only user) and can't save working files from Microsoft Office. Documents folder instead It was the documents folder that I was trying to save it in in the first place I can open up any of the Microsoft Office programs by right clicking and opening the drop down menu and scrolling down to Administrator Rights Issues As I Am the Administrator (and only user) and can't save working files from Microsoft Office. nbsp quot Run nbsp as administrator quot I want to be able to open the program without right clicking to Run as Administrator nbsp to save whatever I'm working on I never had to specify before the upgrade I forget to right click on that for the drop down menu nbsp than I'm stuck trying to figure out another way to do it without losing all my work How can I make this right without downgrading back to Windows The only thing I haven't liked about the free upgrade is the administrator rights issues Thank you Matthew

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/03a074bf-fec2-415c-99f2-b7a268567a04/administrator-rights-issues-as-i-am-the-administrator-and-only-user-and-cant-save-working-files?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 57.19%

I was trying to explain to a friend yesterday the difference between the powers of the hidden Administrator account and a user account with Administrator privileges; but, I don't feel I was successful. I searched for an article on the 'net that would explain one vs the other; but, I could not find one.

Can someone point me to such an article?

A:Solved: Administrator Acct vs User with Administrator privileges

This is an article on how to enable/disable the Built-In Administrator account but at the beginning it explains the difference between the two which, it seems, boils down to whether or not a UAC prompt is needed to gain elevated permission:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...-enable-disable.html?filter[2]=User Accounts&

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-administrator-acct-vs-user-with-administrator-privileges.1143874/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am trying to remove a program but the error message keeps popping up stating that I need to contact the system administrator but I am the administrator and the only user. I have a Lap top, windows vista. please help! and thanks in advance for any help

A:Solved: only the administrator can change a setting???!!! but I AM the administrator

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-only-the-administrator-can-change-a-setting-but-i-am-the-administrator.1043478/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I hope you can help items, administrator I Can't to startup administrator, change but be need am me Whenever I go to quot Start quot quot Run quot quot msconfig quot quot startup quot and try to make changes it tells me that I need to sign in under an administrator account I am the administrator I don't understand this However after I reboot it goes ahead and makes the changes despite the error message I am having trouble downloading and running Adoble flash player and Adobe shockwave player as well I am wondering if this Can't change startup items, need to be administrator, but I am administrator might be the issue with this as well It tells me my computer has blocked the site from using an active x in a bad way or something I am just wondering if the administrator screwup is not causing both problems I have ran quot AdAware quot quot Spybot quot quot Spy Sweeper quot I also recently deleted some files out of the registry that were from America Online which I had about years ago and they were still on the computer I hope I did not mess anything up but I only deleted entries with AOL in them I was having the administrator problem though before the deleted registry items I hope I have given you enough information I did run Can't change startup items, need to be administrator, but I am administrator a registry cleaner called quot RegScrub quot and this seemed to speed up my processor a little bit for a little while My browser is slower than normal and the processor seems to be making more of a grunting noise as well This is driving me crazy HELP

A:Can't change startup items, need to be administrator, but I am administrator

Hi, you could be a victim of a WinAntivirus which is one of Smitfraud lot along with many others. These tend to disable your admin status along with access to the control panel, task manager sometimes and startup options for obvious reasons. Scan your System32 folder for these WinAvxXX.exe, printer.exe, autorun.exe, system.exe. If you find any of these go here http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...LAV.LG&VSect=T and follow instructions. Also download SmitfraudFix. Do everything in Safe Mode and DISABLE system restore.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-change-startup-items-need-to-be-administrator-but-i-am-administrator-189834.html
Relevancy 55.9%

all original discuss are listed on the partnersupport forum http partnersupport microsoft com en-us mpndataplat forum mpncatwinsvr-mpnws can-not-write-files-to-a-directory-we-just-create d afe-ec b- -b - b c eadd page simple summary there are some user in the administrator group esc rchen is a domin user zhuvmescd is a local user please refer to the following picture the UAC setting is lowest please refer to the following picture then when come to the directory quot result quot using user esc rchen can not write a file into the directory report quot access deny quot and then check the permission administrator group have full control for this directory and when try to rename a file it report need administrator permission click continue it will rename success then I tried to add explicit permission to one directory quot Quest software quot which which have the permission issue before then it can write the file into the directory then it also can write files to other directory user administrator but . can into privilege group , administrator add not get in disk C then I change registry quot EnableLUA quot to then to after this all direcotry except quot Quest software quot in disk C become un-writable again I am not sure how this happened but we countered this issue in nbsp three machine

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d1e2beeb-246c-4ee0-9fc9-42ebb8a1ac7e/user-add-into-administrator-group-but-can-not-get-administrator-privilege-?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I'm running Win Pro x and Office I installed a Bluetooth transceiver recently and developed a problem when replying to email in Outlook When I select an email to reply the email editor pops up with a quot Custom UI Runtime Error in Send to Bluetooth quot The solution to this issue is to disable the COM Add-In quot Send to Bluetooth quot in one of the other Office applications such Privilages Administrator Administrator allow won't User Account as Word However when I attempt to uncheck the quot Send to Bluetooth quot option I get an indication from a pop-up warning box that quot This add-in is installed for all users on this computer and can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator I am the only user on this computer and my user account is an administrator account I have the system to start to the desktop without any intermediate log-ins or any intermediate screens How do I let Word User Administrator Account won't allow Administrator Privilages know that I am an administrator so I can disable the COM Add-In and stop the offending pop-up every time I reply to an email Thanks in advance for your assistance Regards

A:User Administrator Account won't allow Administrator Privilages

You could try right clicking the program and choose run as administrator. Then try to disable the addon.
Although with Microsoft software it usually is smart enough to prompt you with uac when you need to change something like that.

Interesting...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303904-user-administrator-account-wont-allow-administrator-privilages.html
Relevancy 55.04%

dont know user account control password AND no administrator user so i cant download/install anything, cant update, and i cant change any settings someone please help PLUS i just got this computer iv read some other entrys where people had the same problem as me they said to do a system reboot in safemode but i dont know how. can someone help me? thank you

A:dont know user account control password and no administrator user

after the bios loads but before windows start to load hit f8 and you get your windows boot options.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/232566-dont-know-user-account-control-password-no-administrator-user.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello,
Cousin has an old Toshiba he bought pre loaded with W7 Home Premium. He was running it as he got it and I had him add a standard user account for general use and a quasi-administator account for working. He has been running that way for a while. Today I needed him to look in the C:\ Users account and it shows the quasi-Administrator, his standard user and a Administrator.
Is it hard to get rid of the Administrator account, that isn't showing up in User's Accounts from the control panel.
Thanks for any help!
Glenn

A:No Administrator shown in User Account, but shows in C:\User ?

Hello Glenn,

The "C:\Users\Administrator" user profile folder is for the built-in elevated "Administrator" account. It's only created the first time that the built-in Administrator account has been enabled and logged in to.

When the built-in "Administrator" account is disabled, it will no longer be displayed in "User Accounts" (Control Panel) or the log on screen. However, it's user profile folder will still be there since it contains that account's personal settings and such.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/304394-no-administrator-shown-user-account-but-shows-c-user.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I am using my laptop of which I am the only user and I am the administrator. I am trying to change some internet settings but it won't let me. it says "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." how can I fix this?

A:It says only the administrator can change a setting but I AM the administrator

closing duplicate, please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/968522-some-settings-managed-your-system.html#post7724466

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/it-says-only-the-administrator-can-change-a-setting-but-i-am-the-administrator.968637/
Relevancy 53.32%

There has long been, and I guess still is, advice to use a standard user rather than administrator account to limit the things that can be done by malware. Until recently I've always used an administrator account despite this advice. After recently seeing a report stating that an extremely large percentage of vulnerabilities cannot be exploited on a standard user account, I started experimenting with using one.

Now, I somewhat frequently get a request for an administrator password. Supplying one causes, I guess, the operation being performed to be performed as if done by the administrator account. I think that if I were using an administrator account, the same actions would result in a UAC prompt to which I would have to respond in the affirmative to allow the action to occur.

My question is why is forcing myself to provide an administrator password safer than clicking Yes in a UAC prompt?

A:Relationship between standard user, administrator user and UAC

Quote:
My question is why is forcing myself to provide an administrator password safer than clicking Yes in a UAC prompt?

Human nature.

UAC prompts have a serious problem that limits their usefulness. This isn't a technical problem and it isn't something that Microsoft can fix. Software designers have known for a long time that most people do not read error messages or warnings unless they are unexpected. They will make the warning go away by the most direct method possible so they can get on with their work. They quickly become conditioned to click on "OK" without even glancing at the what they are authorizing.

Requiring you to enter a password slows the process down so that you will, hopefully, have time to read the message know what you are saying yes to.

At least that is the way I see it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/329667-relationship-between-standard-user-administrator-user-uac.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/392313-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.6%

(reposted from Customization)

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/392449-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey I recently started to notice some strange activity on my MacBook, and am unable to change the root user, along with this on my console the country code sometimes changes to NL without me doing so. Sometimes I also get a message on my console saying "parental controls, start observing". Is there something fishy going on ?, any help much appreciated, thanks

A:Unable to change root user and country change on console, mac osx

Please post any operating (or infection) problems to the Mac forum area, as they are not handled here ...........

Operating Systems → Mac OS  ...............

Thank You - - - -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552928/unable-to-change-root-user-and-country-change-on-console-mac-osx/
Relevancy 49.88%

I installed Win x with a user name quot user quot a long time ago At some point I changed the User's name to quot Karen quot to make it easier to spot on the home network etc The Computer Name quot Dell quot has not changed Today I wanted to connect to the computer quot Karen quot using my workgroup not a homegroup All of my other computers now share with workgroup However the computer quot I Name user the and user's the Can remove old change completely name? Karen quot does not Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? require a password to logon so when I tried to connect via the workgroup I got a popup box asking for the Credentials to Connect I need to enter the User Name and Password to connect to quot Dell quot And I and wife don't know the password Anyways I reset the password using the quot Reset Forgotten Password quot tutorial going into registry etc That worked but I still could not access the computer Karen - windows would not accept the password Running quot net users Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? quot I see that I don't have a User quot Karen quot I have a user quot user quot So i used that user name with the new password and I'm connected All is good But how do I get rid of quot user quot and replace with quot Karen quot Can this be done

A:Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name?

Quote: Originally Posted by CountryBumkin

But how do I get rid of "user1" and replace with "Karen"? Can this be done?

When a new user is created in Windows, either the first user when Windows is installed or any user later on, and the new user has signed in to Windows first time, the user profile is created and named. Any later username change does not change the name of the user profile.

An example, if my ex-wife had created a user account for me on a Windows computer she had most probably named it as "Idiot". If I then later on changed my username on that computer from "Idiot" to "Kari", my profile had remained as "Idiot".

Basically, the easiest way to change this is to create a new user account and profile with the preferred name, copy the personal files and folders from C:\Users\Wrong_Username folder to C:\Users\New_Username, and delete the user Wrong_Username completely.

In your case now you can try the method told in this tutorial: User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372135-can-i-change-users-name-completely-remove-old-user-name.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi there,

In Win-7, as an admin-user, it was easy to change the picture from another user. In Win-8 I'm only able to find where I can change my own picture. Can't I set it anymore for other users?

Cheers.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11409-change-user-account-picture-another-user.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi all. Newbie moderately skilled user running Vista Home 32. I lost my flash player and can't re-install it. I've deleted the flash files and re-installed several times and deleted my macromed folder and re-installed. I think the issue is in the UAC. When I try to change the UAC account type to administrator I can click on the administrator dot but the change account type box fades and I can not select it.

In advanced user profile properties there is a user name ending in a \IUSR_NMPR and then the user name that I use. I can not delete either. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

A:Can't change UAC to administrator

See if you can use this. If so use it and then hide it again. It is for emergency use only.

Administrator Account[11]=User Accounts

Try in safe mode, if you cannot access in the regular fashion.

Are you currently in an Administrator account?

Can you get ownership and permission for the files in quesion?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/268626-cant-change-uac-administrator.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello
My Ex set up the lap top, He is the administrator. Is there any way to change this?

A:How to change administrator on HP 7

Do you have the administrator password?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/354005-how-change-administrator-hp-7-a.html
Relevancy 49.02%

how do i change administrator name on win xp? hopefully with a step by
step answer
gerry

A:change administrator?

You can change the Built in Administrator Profile Name. But hopefully you are not using this to log in as the Built in Administrator account should be used only for maintenance. If you go to Start/Run and type control userpasswords2 and press enter. Highlight the Administrator account you wish to change the name of, choose Properties and type in a new name.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/change-administrator-572110.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I just inherited someone else's old computer and i have a small question...

when I hit the START button, at the top of the window, I see the name 'Administrator'.... is there anyway that I can change this to another name?

PS: I've already been to Computer Management/User Groups and renamed the Administrator account. But this doesn't change the name at the top of the page and also at log on...

A:How do you change name of administrator?

what OS running on pc?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-change-name-of-administrator.24235/
Relevancy 49.02%

I just got a used pc best i can do for now but id like to know if i can change who the administrator on the pc is?

Relevancy 49.02%

My computer is messed up with viruses. I pretty much cleaned it up but the admin account runs really slow. Anyway I want to change the admin but when I try to load up User Accounts on the admin account but they dont load up. The screen just stays white. How can I fix this and what does it mean?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/292764/change-administrator/
Relevancy 49.02%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1013 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152539 MB, Free - 112454 MB; E: Total - 305168 MB, Free - 261341 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0CU409, , ..CN7360483D065I.
Antivirus: McAfee VirusScan, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

When I bought this Laptop it was a demo. I can sign in but need to down load software and it tells me I am not the administrator. How can I change it?

A:Need to change Administrator

If it still has the demo stuff on it, then you are going to have to take to place that added the demo junk, and have them remove the password.

If you can get a DVD from the OEM, then you can rebuild to the factory settings, which is what needs to be done any way.

You may try using the built in "System Recover" but you MAY need the same Administrator password tha will not allow you to download stuff.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-change-administrator.1002035/
Relevancy 49.02%

I need to change the administrator's name, how do i do that?

A:I need to change the administrator's name, how do i do that?

Hi, The following instructions are for Windows 10:     http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/3-ways-to-change-user-account-name-in-windows-10.html You can do the same for Windows 8 or 8.1 Regards

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/I-need-to-change-the-administrator-s-name-how-do-i-do-that/td-p/5725024
Relevancy 49.02%

Not to get 2 personnel let just say the last administrator has left me high and dry. With only restricted access I can not download anything. It seem at times that all I can do is surf the internet. I need to be set up as the administrator, please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-change-administrator.878602/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hola
I bought a PC and it was an "open item" --the only one that I found with XP-- and I have to run a Plotter --vinyl cutter machine-- form it. I installed a DB9 port to it but I cannot make it work. I contacted the plotter manufacture and "they" guide to how to fix this problem. "They" found that I'm not the administrator in this PC. They tell me to contact the manufacture of the PC "Gateway" so I did. I need to fax them all my information and wait for 48 hours to contact them again, in order to help me.

I cannot wait this much, so I need you help

How can I change the settings so I became the administrator in my own PC?

Thanks and I will be waiting for your help.

Uly7

Relevancy 49.02%

Like many of us, I have encountered the first of what I feel maybe many problems to come as I learn Win 10. The first of which is how can I change or edit the administrator's name on my PC. I thought like win-7, I could edit, change, or even turn off password protect.

I find no way to do this, as I'am the only one using my PC, I do not need to sign in with a password every time I fire my PC up. Normally I resort to system restore for most problems, however I don't think that would work in this case.

Any help out there?

DP.

A:How to change Administrator's name

You won't be able do that with an MS account.

Change to a local account: Settings->Accounts->Your Account

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/15302-how-change-administrators-name.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello all I'm new on here,
I have a problem with my laptop.
Even though I am the administrator when i go into my start-up to remove things I dont need and click apply it tells me access denied only the administrator is allowed to do this, so I click ok then it says restart to allow changes to take place. So it allows the changes to take place but gives me this access denied message first

Can anyone help me as to sort this out I am the only user so there is no other accounts on it.

thanks guys

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-can-i-change-the-administrator-292584.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I installed Win2K but did not set an administrator password, I realized later that I misspelled the Administrator's name how can I change it?

A:Change Administrator

Howdy Bobcoop103...

Can you log onto the pc at all ?

If so should be easy, right click on My Computer - Manage - click on Local Users and Groups - in the panel to the right double click on Users - right click on the user name you want to rename - and Rename...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-administrator.243541/
Relevancy 48.59%

Can anyone tell me in dummie language what Administrator is and what/when I should/can use it please

Relevancy 48.59%

hey

i was under the impression that there was a distinction between the terms 'user' and 'administrator'. is there?

if there is only one user for the computer does vista automatically make this user the administrator.

and when starting in safe mode is this same 'user administrator' the 'default administrator' ?

cheers
ethan

A:user/administrator

Copied over from Newsgroup by: Brink
Re: user/administrator

They are all "Users". And no, unlike XP, Vista does not make the first logon
the Administrator. The first logon is made *an* Administrator, of the
Administrator's group, but there's a user named Administrator, often called
"Super-Administrator". The Administrator account has built-in elevated
privileges that "normal" Administrators do not.

There is also a built-in (and super-hidden) "Default" account that's used as
a template for new accounts, and a slightly less hidden user named "Public"
along with several others that you only see mention of in the file or folder
properties and which do not have a folder in the Users folder. (Neither does
Administrator until you first log on to it.)

Never heard of "Default Administrator". Not sure what you mean by that last
part.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
http://grystmill.com

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/179049-user-administrator.html
Relevancy 48.59%

When I installed Windows XP Pro, the user name on my account was dubbed "Administrator." How do I change it to some thing like "John" for example?

A:Administrator user name

I'm not sure how to do that, I don't think it would be the wise choice to change it either... for one why not just create a new windows account and make it John, with administrator privileges, you should never use your Administrator account for just browsing the web... well you shouldn't use it regardless unless deemed necessary.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/administrator-user-name-220796.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I bought this used computer at a thrift store It has Windows XP with SP Norton and many more programs I was able to set myself up as administrator using the name Administrator-User Chris Then I deleted all the other accounts and even changed the registered owners name in the registry to Dell client But every time I turn on the computer one of the former administrator named BUBA shows up in task manager as a user Even if I log him off and then click on my name on the log-on screen BUBA is still shown as user The same is true when I click on Administrator-User the disconect button He always shows up as the user But the real problem is as long as the computer Administrator-User is on and connected to my DSL modem the Internet and the ethernet lights keep on blinkig as if something is constatly being down or uploaded But it doesn t interfer with me going on The Internet Maybe just slows it down some for example downloading IEspell Administrator-User which is less than MB took well over minute and the download speed was shown as KB sec Can anyone figure this out

A:Administrator-User

System manufacturer and model?

Since a system that belonged to someone else...there's no guarantee that anything works properly...why didn't you do a clean install so that you would at least be able to say for sure that the O/S works properly...the hardware works properly...and so on?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/325360/administrator-user/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello,

When I try to change the local administrator password in a Windows XPSP3 client using Ctrl+Alt+Supr is not possible and get a notification with:
It is not possible to change the password of this account currently.

It is the local administrator and the PC is in an microsoft network domain.

Why this happen? Could somebody help me?
Best Regards and thanks in advance.

A:Administrator password change

Hi pimpo:

Do you have administrator rights on the computer or the network domain?

From M$ suggested method:

Membership in Administrators, or equivalent, is the minimum required to perform this procedure.

To change the Administrator password in Windows XP

Log on to the computer using the Administrator account.

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts. The User Accounts dialog box opens.

In User Name, select the account that you want to change, and then click Reset Password. In New password, type a new password, and inConfirm new password, retype the password, and then click OK.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/583206/administrator-password-change/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello,
When I try to change the local administrator password in a Windows XPSP3 client using Ctrl+Alt+Supr is not possible and get a notification with:
It is not possible to change the password of this account currently.
Why this happen? Could somebody help me?
Best Regards and thanks in advance.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8e99376a-6327-4def-93cf-e65765afd67d/administrator-password-change?forum=itproxpsp
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi,

I have Windows XP installed on my PC but when it starts up I have to select which user account I want to use. The main one is titled 'administrator' rather than my name. I think this must have happened when I originally installed Windows.

Anyway, I have checked in user accounts and although I can change the password and picture for the admin account, I cannot change the name to my own.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the name of the administrator account without having to completely reinstall windows?

Thanks in advance...

A:Is it possible to change the administrator name in Windows?

No u cant :(

I had this problem, I was accidently messing around when I installed my version and typed in something TOTALLY different. You would have to reinstall windows.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/is-it-possible-to-change-the-administrator-name-in-windows-86763.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello I'm running Vista Home Premium service pack on a Toshiba Notebook Intel Pentium Dual CPU T GHz with GB of RAM I am running a program called PyMOL with has a small rc file for preferences to be changed on startup When I try and save this file I'm told that I don't have permission to save the file in that location a subfolder in the PyMOL space in the x program folder It asks would I like to save it in documents or Can't Administrator as permissions change some other place I'm also told to contact the administrator for permission Well I logged in to my admin account and changed the folder permission from read-only click apply all seems okay so I hit ok to dismiss the dialog Can't change permissions as Administrator Guess what Nothing changed As best as I can tell every single folder on the drive says read-only even under admin although I regularly do work on the computer so I can only assume that when I'm the originator the file this ridiculous situation doesn't occur I hope someone can tell me how to fix this I would also be interested to know if this is specifically a home premium issue as I have a Vista Ultimate version but have not had the time or inclination to upgrade yet And I hope this isn't too rude or offensive on here but what exactly is having an Admin account good for if something like this is possible Seriously Thanks for your time

A:Can't change permissions as Administrator

Solved, sort of:

I started the program notepad by right-clicking on the icon and selecting run as administrator. This allowed me to save anything I opened in this program, anywhere I wanted (as best as I can tell). I was able to do this while logged in as a regular user as well, so I did not have to be logged in as admin. Apparently, there is no true admin account anymore, but you are able to work around it by running specific programs as admin (go figure). I assume if you wanted to move a folder from program files (say one containing work data for a program) you would have to run windows explorer as an admin to be able to do this, but I have not experimented with this.

I think I understand now what microsoft was trying to do here, but I'm sorry, the implementation is absurd. Create a new super-admin account or something, but this is just silly. I'm relatively familiar with windows in its previous incarnations. I haven't had to get into the guts of Vista at all until now. The point is, I shouldn't have to, EVER get into the guts of any operating system unless I'm doing something that involves programming. Simple mundane tasks should never be this complicated, and they surely shouldn't be for a company that has been designing OS's for almost 3 decades now.

Kinda emphasizes why monopolies are bad, doesn't it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-change-permissions-as-administrator-410292.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I would appreciate knowing how to change my XP Password. No...I did not lose it...No....My cpmputer works just fine....this is for my computer as I want to use another password that is of greater length. Thank you. FreeSteve

A:Change Administrator Password

Go to Control Panel>User Accounts, click on your account and then on "Change password."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-administrator-password.92775/
Relevancy 48.16%

OK..here is one for you guys.

I am trying to get into internet tool and I get the lovely msg that tells me I CANNOT BECAUSE I AM NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR. Umm..hello!! Yes, I am!!! So what is going on here?

AND......the reason I was going in there to begin with is because I cannot do ANYTHING with Java. I keep getting the msg to download Java Virtual machine, but I thought I read on Windows' website that it isn't downloadable anymore for some reason and you have to download something else. Any info on that? I am getting mad!! lol

A:So if I am the administrator, how come I can't change things????????

Don't get mad get Sun's java here. http://java.com/en/index.jsp

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/so-if-i-am-the-administrator-how-come-i-cant-change-things-8838.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I m completely new to Windows and I just started it up on my brand new PC today Not a good start- I seem to have install- administrator anything, change Can't can't New be somehow become locked out of the ability to be New install- Can't change anything, can't be administrator an administrator which also means that I can t change anything at all I m guessing it was caused by two things that I did in attempt to make Windows less irritating I put that slider about notifying me when programs are changed down to never notify me It seemed like a harmless thing to turn off but it seems this may be connected to UAC and New install- Can't change anything, can't be administrator may have caused the problem Only thing is now I can t change it at all I used netplwiz to uncheck users must use a password to login to this computer because I have no need or wish to have to New install- Can't change anything, can't be administrator type a password every time windows starts When asked which account to login to automatically I selected the user account I made when I installed windows This at the time I selected it was in the groups homeusers AND administrators but now it s only in homeUsers And I now can t turn the users must use a password to login to this computer thing- well I can check or uncheck the box but when I log in it still automatically logs me in to the same account I seemingly can t change anything at all or install any programs nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

Hello, i just bought an acer extensa laptop 5620z. It is unlocked and i can get in and use it under the administrator but i want to reboot and clean it and it wont let me because i have no idea what the admin password is. the individual who sold it to me gave me the bill of sale and said its legit but forgot what there password was. The admin name was the persons name who sold it and i really need help to get it cleaned out for my daughters school work thanks

A:administrator password change

Not much help here according to the rules.
"Passwords - Please do not ask for assistance with (or ways to bypass) a forgotten or unknown password, personal identification number (PIN) or any other type of access code that may be required on a computer, mobile device or web site. As there is no way to verify the actual situation or intent, no assistance will be provided and any such threads will be closed."

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-password-change.1144739/
Relevancy 48.16%

My son gave me his computer and I'm trying to add myself as the new administrator. I've been able to put myself as administrator of the local account.. but I want my son completely removed.  I have any and all passwords needed but I cannot find the
option to remove him.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/04e58b14-2350-4492-80ac-951164745aa2/change-administrator-on-windows-10?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 48.16%

I have had my hard drive reformatted and created 2 user accounts
But instead of mine showing up as my name, it is called "User"
How can I rename it please?

Relevancy 48.16%

I'm completely [SOLVED] Can't administrator can't anything, be change new to Windows and I just [SOLVED] Can't change anything, can't be administrator started it up on my brand new PC today Not a good start- I seem to have somehow [SOLVED] Can't change anything, can't be administrator become locked out of the [SOLVED] Can't change anything, can't be administrator ability to be an administrator which also means that I can't change anything at all I'm guessing it was caused by two things that I did in attempt to make Windows less irritating I put that slider about notifying me when programs are changed down to 'never notify me' It seemed like a harmless thing to turn off but it seems this may be connected to 'UAC' and may have caused the problem Only thing is now I can't change it at all I used 'netplwiz' to uncheck 'users must use a password to login to this computer' because I have no need or wish to have to type a password every time windows starts When asked which account to login to automatically I selected the user account I made when I installed windows This at the time I selected it was in the groups 'homeusers AND administrators' but now it's only in 'homeUsers' And I now can't turn the 'users must use a password to login to this computer' thing- well I can check or uncheck the box but when I log in it still automatically logs me in to the same account I seemingly can't change anything at all or install any programs

A:[SOLVED] Can't change anything, can't be administrator

I also can't start in safe mode by holding F8- nothing happens. This is really infuriating.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-cant-change-anything-cant-be-administrator-717737.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I recently set up a computer with XP pro. The account on the sign in screen is administrator. I know how to change other account names but can not find out how to change the administrator account name to my name. Any ideas?

A:Solved: Change Administrator name

What you are seeing is probably the "default" Administrator account that the system creates for "someone" to be able to access the computer. It is not changeable, I don't believe, because it is the account needed for simply setting things up. You need to create another account for YOURSELF as an administrator and make that one your log in/normal user account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-change-administrator-name.884671/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have purchased a laptop from a friend. Just prior to my purchase Windows 10 got loaded. The compter has one account which is an administrator account. I think that the same account information is used as a login to Microsoft. I would like to remove the account and substitute my own administrator account. How do I do that.

Thanks for you help.

A:Change to a New Administrator Account

Here's what you need to do:
Sign in to current admin accountCreate a new user account for yourself (tutorial)Change the new user account's account type to administrator (tutorial)Sign out from the old admin accountSign in to your new admin accountDelete the old admin account (tutorial)
Kari

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/34405-change-new-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi I recently acquired a NAS western digital TB my live book and permissions for change administrator? Can despite NAS, being not am getting a bit annoyed by windows security's constant nagging for a password when Can not change permissions for NAS, despite being administrator? I reboot Googling Can not change permissions for NAS, despite being administrator? the question I was told that granting users quot Full Control quot permissions would solve that However trying to do that I get quot access denied quot Googling that problem I learned that ownership might be the problem So I tried changing that At Can not change permissions for NAS, despite being administrator? the moment the owner is quot root Unix User root quot but trying to change that to my own user I get quot Unable to set new owner on Public MyBookLive Z you do not have the Restore privilege required to set this user group as owner quot But running lusrmgr msc I see that indeed my user is part of the administrators group so I should have that kind of privilege So the original problem was that windows was a bit slow on giving me access to my NAS - am I going in the right direction and can anyone tell me where to go from here thanks

A:Can not change permissions for NAS, despite being administrator?

I'm a little confused by your description of when Windows is asking for a password. Is it every time your boot your system up? Or is it when you try to access the NAS device? Also, is it Windows User Account Control "UAC" or a separate 3rd party program perhaps bundled with the NAS?

Please clarify exactly what is going on, and hopefully someone here can help you.

Your troubleshooting thus far, to me at least, looks like it may be going in a different direction than what your situation actually is. If it is on the right track, however, then you would probably just need to delve deeper into Group Policy Editing issues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/222737-can-not-change-permissions-nas-despite-being-administrator.html
Relevancy 48.16%

HELP! I changed the "adminstrator" account name and now it won't let me in.

A:Change Administrator account name

Which administrator account are you talking about? Did you set it up or was it set up for you as soon as you did the install?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/64637-change-administrator-account-name.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have done everything I can find on the internet and here to try and get a local administrator or even just administrator privileges on my computer. EVERYTHING I've tried asks me for administrator password and I've entered everything I can think of. Or it asks me to click "yes" to continue but there is never a yes listed. I'm at my wits end. Someone please help. I even tried to reset my computer and it still wants an administrators password.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/441165-cant-change-local-administrator.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I'm currently running Windows 2000 server and try to rename or change the administrator password. However, it won't let me do. The Administrator properties under Account options show a check mark and is shaded "password never expires".

Is there any way I can change it or it is set during the installation process.

Please help, thanks in advance.
CF

A:Cannot change Administrator password

made sure you have administrator right, if you don't have admin. right you not able to change

cheer uo

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-change-administrator-password.39627/
Relevancy 48.16%

My daughter ordered a new computer, Lenovo G50, with Windows 10 installed last Nov. When she turned it on, it automatically asked for her hotmail info as Admin. I did a backup before making any changes to the computer. She has moved and left the computer. I tried to search in the forums and online how to change Admin info. I added myself as a user, but the computer won't give me access to the web. Is there a way to change the Admin info without having to reset. Not sure I can do that. Thank you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-administrator-in-windows-10.1166497/
Relevancy 48.16%

I know this sounds like a basic question, but I have tried just about everything and have had no success. access is always denied. Somehow the guest account was changed to an administrator account, and im trying to change the guest account back and make another account they administrator account.
Things ive tried that HAVENT worked:
1. accessing user accounts via control panel.(nothing happens when I change it)
2. accessing user accounts via advanced user accounts(netplwiz )- access denied.
3. changing user accounts via elevated command prompt.(access denied)
4. accessing user accounts via the local users and groups(lusrmgr.msc)-snapin isn't used with this version. Should I try to enable it??

so any suggestions?? They will be much appreciated.
Thank you
~ Christina~

A:How do i change administrator accounts?

Hello Christina, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You will not be able to change the account type of the account that you are currently signed in to.

You will have to sign in to another administrator account first. Afterwards, you will be able to change the account type of the other account back to be a guest.

User Account Type - Change

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/297333-how-do-i-change-administrator-accounts.html
Relevancy 48.16%

hi,
i wanted to replace a file with a patched one inside windows folder.
i followed instructions i found on other sites but nothing works:
i disabled UAC (user account control), disabled all other user accounts except administrator account, re-started and logged on using safe mode to administor account.
then i tried to replace the file but still i got the message that says that "i need permeation to do that action"
does someone knows how can i manage windows as i want to?
( i use vista 64bit ultimate )

thanx

A:administrator account won't allow me to change anything

This "Patch" is it from Microsoft?
If NOT who?
And what is it patching?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-account-wont-allow-me-to-change-anything.621340/
Relevancy 48.16%

My fiance gave me his Windows 7 computer a few months ago, but he still uses it periodically. Because I am the new owner, I would like to know how to change the Administrators' name/account from his to mine. When I do change it, will he still be able to access his private accounts (i.e. bank info, etc.)? The computer is mine but, like I said, he still uses it--primarily for his bank info. Thank you for your help.

A:Administrator Account Change

Make yourself an user account and keep it as part of the Admin group.
Go to Control Panel, User Accounts..., Add or remove user account, then create new account.
Type the name of your new account and select the Administrator type and then create account.

Log out of the current account and then log in using the new account name.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-account-change.1147820/
Relevancy 48.16%

I was the administrator of my HP Pavilion desktop running Windows 10. In an attempt to set up a Fitbit account for my wife, she had to register for a Windows account. After that, she is now the administrator for my computer and I can't figure out how to set it back to my account. Administrative Tools in Control Panel is of no use.
Any suggestions pleas. (Only helpful suggestions please; "divorce" is not one)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-of-administrator-in-windows-10.1165827/
Relevancy 48.16%

I hope I can explain this correctly. When I first upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 I had been using a Sbcglobal email but have since changed to an Outlook.com email. I'm still currently using the former but not for much longer. We have two User Accounts (mine & wife's) on this PC so any changes will need to take that into consideration.

My startup login still shows my Sbcglobal email as does my Administrator account on my PC. If I click on 'Manage my Microsoft account' and go to my online account it does show my new Outlook.com as my email.

How do I change my startup email login & Administrator email (Sbccglobal) to my new Outlook.com email?

If you sign in with a local account will that give you the opportunity to change the email to Outlook.com? If I would switched back I suppose I would still have my old email correct?

A:Change Administrator Email

Hello McCoady,

If both email addresses are listed as an alias for your Microsoft account, then you setting the one you want as the primary alias may have it show instead at sign-in. You are able to use the credentials of any of your aliases to sign in to your Microsoft account though.

Microsoft Account Aliases - Change Primary Alias

If that doesn't help, then you could switch to a local account, then switch back to your Microsoft account using the email address you want.

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49820-change-administrator-email.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Every time I turn on my laptop a dialog box pops up saying something about onedrive not being able to run under administrator and that to change it. I tried using settings but it still pops up.  I need to change it, but how?

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/How-do-I-change-onedrive-administrator/td-p/440537/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 48.16%

I recently gave my nephew my old computer running Windows 2000. He decided that he didn't like logging on as administrator so he created an account for himself. That was fine, until he deleted the administrator user. Now he cannot log into the computer - including in safe mode.

Any suggestions?

Relevancy 48.16%

I didn't establish User a/cs when I first set up my PC. I have since done so but now I can't access some progs because they are for Admin.

I have tried starting in Safe Mode pressing F8 but I get an error mssge - Keyboard error. This means that when I do get into Safe Mode I can't do anything to change the settings.

Any ideas anyone please?

tks

A:Administrator and Limited User a/cs

Log on as Administrator and upgrade the other account or uninstall the apps and reinstall them under the new account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-and-limited-user-a-cs.647948/
Relevancy 48.16%

Unaware of any possible issues that could arise I had been operating my computer as the administrator user I received a trojan horse virus that has corupted my admin user profile and will not allow me access to do anything as an administrator I've even tried to load my reinstall dvd and the drivers and utilities dvd at restart but they will not load I can pull programs from the dvd but cannot access the diagnostics repair on dvd As usual the prompt for administrator passcode come up but when I type it in and hit enter the screen goes blank and reappears with quot User Administrator Corupt cannot access file or user does not exist quot At log on I get The User Profile Service service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded Because its the administrator user that has the issue the computer will not allow me to perform any type of function that will promote change within the system The options available to fix regular user functions do not apply to the Admin user functions because of passcode protection I cannot access files under admin user to tranfer or Corupt Administrator User do anything Two other profiles exist without passcodes are still operable If anyway possible I would like to hopefully retain my data under admin profile and fix errors

A:Corupt Administrator User

Look at this link:http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...22001e1033.mspxBefore doing any of this, go offline and unplug your modem! Backdoor Trojans are known to steal your passwords and your critical information/identity (bank and credit card numbers)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146372/corupt-administrator-user/
Relevancy 48.16%

When installing programs (.EXE files), is ...Log on as "User" > EXE file > RClick > "Run as Administrator" ?
... the same as...
Log on as "Adminsitrator" > EXE file > "Run" ?About 12 months ago I installed an app (via User Account) and I have discovered it is installed in registry hives...
HKEY_USERS and HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Would I be correct in assuming an app installed when logged in as "Administrator" would only appear in HKEY_USERS only ?

My current laptop installs are a hotch-potch of security levels (accounts)
Most apps were installed as User, before I acknowledged Win7 superior security (as hard as it was to admit) and lately, several apps intentionally installed as Administrator.

I would appreciate being enlightened.
Thank You
----------
SPECS
Toshiba Satellite C665 (Laptop)
OS:= Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit), sp1 (Build 7601) OEM
UI:=Classic Shell Start + Classic Explorer
Single user (so far)

A:Installing as Administrator vs User

Quote: Originally Posted by GrayGhost2

When installing programs (.EXE files), is ...Log on as "User" > EXE file > RClick > "Run as Administrator" ?
... the same as...
Log on as "Adminsitrator" > EXE file > "Run" ?

Let's start with this question: No, it's not the same.

When a user, either a standard user or an administrative user selects Run as administrator, the command will be executed with elevated rights using a so called built-in administrator account rights.

The built-in administrator account has more rights than a normal administrative account. even if you log in using your normal administrator account you sometimes have not enough rights for a certain task and need to run the command elevated, as a built-in administrator.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/311207-installing-administrator-vs-user.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I am new to Windows XP. Microsoft advises W2K users not to go online with administrator privileges. This is okay, because Power Users can do most of what needs to be done, so there is not a lot of logging off and on. (Am I right in thinking that it is okay for Power Users to go online?)

On my XP workstation, however, I am unable even to install Adobe's Acrobat Reader as a power user. Am I set up wrong or is this by design? If it is by design, how am I supposed to get any work done? Any time I need a download, I have to pull down the file, then log off, then log on as an administrator, then install the file, then log off, then log on again as myself. Does anyone else see this as a pain in the neck?

Am I missing something that could make my life easier?

A:Power User vs. Administrator in XP

I am NEW to XP-Home Edition, I run a single computer with a few accounts, I too having similar problem?

I would Like to share my "Editing Program" for all the limited accounts without having to download it or copy it to every account, or even share selected shortcuts to my limited accounts?
Anyone tell me how to "share Programs" I found out to share files or documents ...I guess but not absolutely sure I need to put them in the "SHARED FOLDER"?

Do I put the "Editing Program" i want to share in the shred Documents folder?
I tried to copy the short-cut for it and put it in my limited user account, Then i logged of of that account and logged back into the limited account and double clicked the short-cut ,nothing happened?
Anyone advise me on this ,? Seems like a simple problem?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/18462/power-user-vs-administrator-in-xp/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have Windows 7. From one day to the next I am unable to log into my user name which is also the administrator of the computer. The message is "user profile failed the login. user profile can not be loaded". I can not add anything or update any programs because of this. Very frustrating. I can get into it under safe mode.
Help!

A:administrator user login

I'd create another Administrative User Account so that all ability to login is not lost. Make that new User Account your main one if you do not find a fix for your current account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-user-login.1126398/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hey I want to run a program or utility that I have for XP The only problem though is that I have to be logged in as the name quot Administrator quot not just administrative priviledges So I went into my Control Panel and looked at the users listed there was none by the name Administrator So I proceeded to add a new user with that name except when I did I got an error stating something like quot User with this name already exists quot I wasn t sure Administrator User Account why Administrator User Account that was so I went to my Documents amp Settings folder and there wasn t any Administrator folder under there So now I went to my account which I am currently using and tried changing my name to Administrator to see if that would work and it didn t it came up with the same error again I ve been trying to figure this out all night lastnight and all morning today but haven t been able to resolve it Except I did find one thing which may be causing it I went onto my network and found that on the other computer that s connected to my network and only other one that there is an Administrator folder under the Documents amp Settings folder I was wondering if that account could be causing this conflict And if so how can I fix so that I can have the quot Administrator quot account on my computer since I am the administrator of the network Any assistance and help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi, I'm no longer an administrator on my computer, yet I'm the only user on it. It happened when I tried to remove the required password log in every time you are turn on your computer. It tells me I'm the guest account, and that the user is password protected. The problem is that I need administrative rights, and I can't change any settings whatsoever without being the administrator. Do you have any ideas?

A:Not the administrator on my computer, only user.

I just ran across this thread, perhaps it will help you get going:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9650-built-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35086-not-administrator-my-computer-only-user.html
Relevancy 48.16%

hey guys .

i am new here. Let me know how I can protect my administrator
(User) useing xp (OP) .In my office i am useing a pc haveing an administrator account some of other guys also useing that with a sub user name.They can break my (administrator) password easily going in safe mod.
I too much worry about that.Let me know If there is a way to protect my administrator account from them.

A:how i can protect my administrator (user)

please reply me if anyone know about. .. . ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by exectone

hey guys .

i am new here. Let me know how I can protect my administrator
(User) useing xp (OP) .In my office i am useing a pc haveing an administrator account some of other guys also useing that with a sub user name.They can break my (administrator) password easily going in safe mod.
I too much worry about that.Let me know If there is a way to protect my administrator account from them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-i-can-protect-my-administrator-user-325526.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I recently found out how to enable the real Administrator account on vista, but I have been using the regular user account with administrative permissions. The problem is that I want to know if I can some how apply the settings that I have made to the user account to the Administrator, i.e program shortcuts, desktop, programs installed, tweaks, bookmarks...etc
Any help would be great, thanks.

A:Administrator/User Accounts

Create a new user account
* Logon to that account to initialize the newly created profile
* Log off from the newly created profile
* Login as built-in Administrator (original account)
* Open Control Panel \ System applet
* Click the Advanced tab
* Click Settings under User Profiles
* Select a profile to copy from and choose Copy To
* Browse to the profile to copy to (C:\Users\NewUserName)

A new profile is now created which is the duplicate of your user profile.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-user-accounts.571322/
Relevancy 48.16%

Sony VIAO, Model PCG-5k2L, Windows Vista Home Premium I am trying fix this box for a friend. How do you get to the Administrator User. Who Ever set this thing up had a strange way of doing things When Vista boots up it immediately go to a blue screen with one sign-on icon. How can I get to the Admin User?? F5 & F8 doesn't respond as expected.... I have asked the girl who owns this box about the recovery CD, all I got was a blank stare & a "I'll look for it.... " Thoughts? Thanks....

A:trying to get to Vista Administrator User

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...e_true_Administrator_account_in_Windows_Vista

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-get-to-vista-administrator-user.1072204/
Relevancy 48.16%

Please help,
I had to set up a password for my administrator account to activate software i was working on. I set a password and logged out then later I shut down and went to bed. I turned on the computer this morning and got a blue screen with one user account named Norton. I had norton remote access my computer a while ago to fix a problem. I clicked on the norton name but all my icons are gone my favorites everything. Is it all lost for good? Please help
Thank You
Johnnyakey

A:Solved: xp user can't log in as administrator please help

On the logon screen, press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice. Try logging into an account.

Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel to see if you can figure out what happened.

If you have Norton, you have trouble. (That sentence is a tautology.)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-user-cant-log-in-as-administrator-please-help.1059645/
Relevancy 48.16%

When I try to logon to my administrator account I get the following message: The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. What do I need to do to fix this and get into my account?

A:The administrator user profile

Hello Decain, and welcome to Vista Forums.

This may be able to help you fix this error.

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/197769-administrator-user-profile.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I am writing a batch file for a group of people that might or might not know how to run as admin. I would like to know if there are any files or varibles that are different for the admin or the current user.

A:How to tell if a user is running as Administrator?

Quote: Originally Posted by abuttino

I am writing a batch file for a group of people that might or might not know how to run as admin. I would like to know if there are any files or varibles that are different for the admin or the current user.

Hi and welcome

sure there are tons. group mebership, gpedit, users cpanel, what exactly are you trying to do? Id the ones who are, or arent running as admin?
Kenn J++

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/42171-how-tell-if-user-running-administrator.html
Relevancy 48.16%

i guys im facing with problem of administrator password.. i could not sign in with administrator...wifi drivers are not working.. to install  a driver also it is asking for administrator password..please help me with dis problem

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/381d09ca-57bb-480d-a1bc-b913e8550ffa/cant-log-in-with-administrator-or-any-standard-user?forum=W8ITProWTG
Relevancy 48.16%

Have just got a new PC with Windows XP Pro. Spent all day setting it up and when I booted up this morning it was to a new screen etc. Discovered it booted as Administrator while all my settings etc are on a User account. Not sure how this happened - was it something I did and does it matter? I suppose I can set it to boot to User.

Have searched the archives and there is one showing how to change the accounts - should I do this or just leave things as they are? It is a single user computer

Thanks

A:Administrator/User account

thats easy.If you created 2 acounts by accident. Go to my computer click on controll panel go to user accounts there you can pick to either change a acount add acount change the way a user logs on or off.Hope that helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-user-account.513585/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hey mans,
I am new in this forum or on this forum(s)
My problem is I disable my Administrator accaunt and now I have one accaunt my accaunt and I am standard use..
when I try back my administraotor accaunt say: Acces denide... and any changes I try make my UAC is just let me to click No... I can't click Yes..
How to back my administartor accaunt if I am standard use Is that possiblle and is possiblle to I het administrator not standard user
Help me

A:How to be administrator if I had standard user

Quote: Originally Posted by hadza999

Hey mans,
I am new in this forum or on this forum(s)
My problem is I disable my Administrator accaunt and now I have one accaunt my accaunt and I am standard use..
when I try back my administraotor accaunt say: Acces denide... and any changes I try make my UAC is just let me to click No... I can't click Yes..
How to back my administartor accaunt if I am standard use Is that possiblle and is possiblle to I het administrator not standard user
Help me

So you had an account with adminstrative rights and you disabled it? Now you only have standard user accounts? Correct?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/240342-how-administrator-if-i-had-standard-user.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Is it possible on Windows 2000 to set a program to run as a different user than the currently logged on user.

Idealy I am trying to perform this from a Visual Basic program that does other tasks, and needs to launch a seperate program that to work correctly needs to be run as the administrator account.

Any ideas??

Thanx
Mike

A:Run program as different user (Administrator!)

You can design the program to run as a "Service" and have it use the SYSTEM account.

I used to have a great website with lots of usable code on it... I will try to recollect it and post it later....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/run-program-as-different-user-administrator.45331/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have reloaded Windows XP on my PowerSpec desktop PC. I set up an Administrator account password protected and a user account not password protected. I am the only person that uses this computer (at home).

I loaded some new software and one that I need on both accounts is only on the administrative account (Foxit PDF reader). The user account does not have the rights to load new software unto it.

How can I send a copy of the link that is on the administrator desktop to the desktop of the user account?

With fine tuning software I can only use it from the administrator account.

But with Foxit before I re-installed windows I had the link on both accounts and it worked fine.

I have a pdf file that I need to open on the user side.

Thanks for your assistance