Windows Support Forum

EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

Q: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

Hello I need some assistance I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop that runs Vista Home Edition Whenver I boot up and try to open a program or application it takes a really REALLY long time for it to open For example whenever I try to open Firefox or Internet Explorer or even my control panel the window will open and will be blank Then it will start to load but either take an enormous amount of time or after I've become tired of waiting I'll try to exit and it will say response apps slow EXTREMELY opening/closing times when programs and Not Responding Now eventually this goes away and the window does close but like I said it takes a ton of time trying to open and close these things up If I do wait it out and I do get into my Internet Explorer EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs or Mozilla any links that I click or addresses that I type it again takes forever I've run a deep system scan with my Anti-Virus software and came up with nothing I did a system restore to a point where the problem was not happening and again nothing Any suggestions

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

Originally Posted by seany811

Hello,

I need some assistance. I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop that runs Vista Home Edition. Whenver I boot up and try to open a program or application, it takes a really REALLY long time for it to open. For example, whenever I try to open Firefox or Internet Explorer or even my control panel, the window will open and will be blank. Then it will start to load but either take an enormous amount of time or, after I've become tired of waiting, I'll try to exit and it will say (Not Responding). Now eventually this goes away and the window does close, but like I said, it takes a ton of time trying to open and close these things up. If I do wait it out and I do get into my Internet Explorer or Mozilla, any links that I click or addresses that I type, it again, takes forever.

I've run a deep system scan with my Anti-Virus software and came up with nothing. I did a system restore to a point where the problem was not happening and, again, nothing.

Any suggestions?!

Frag/file errors/disk errors
or insufficient Installed Memory
How To Make Vista more responsive and faster

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/222421-extremely-slow-response-times-when-opening-closing-apps-programs.html
Relevancy 25.37%

Intel and Micron held a joint press conference earlier today to announce a breakthrough memory technology called 3D Xpoint (pronounced 3D crosspoint) that's up to 1,000 times faster (read speeds) than today's NAND, features 1,000 times better endurance and is...

Read more

A:Intel and Micron announce 3D Xpoint, a new memory technology that's 1,000 times faster than NAND

I hope this really brings about the death of the hard drive. And it can't come soon enough.

Gimme a 1 TB Xpoint SSD that doesn't break the bank and I'm sold.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-and-micron-announce-3d-xpoint-a-new-memory-technology-thats-1-000-times-faster-than-nand.217327/
Relevancy 16.77%

I have an SSD Intel Series GB SATA Generic Single Pack which on my PC has a maximum speed rate at MB sec but on other PC has MB sec My PC features OS Name Microsoft Windows Enterprise Version Service Pack Build OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation INTEL SSDSC BW A GB SATA quot SSD System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model OptiPlex System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Dell Inc A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory read SSD 264mb/sec slow rate C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot quot Installed Physical Memory RAM SSD slow read rate 264mb/sec GB Total Physical Memory GB Available Physical Memory GB Total SSD slow read rate 264mb/sec Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys SiSoftware Sandra Benchmark Results Drive Score MB s Results Interpretation Higher Scores mean Better Performance Binary Numeral System base GB s MB s MB s kB s kB s bytes s etc Benchmark Status Result ID INTEL SSDSC BW A GB SATA quot SSD Computer Dell OptiPlex Dell GY Y Platform Compliance x System Timer MHz Use Overlapped I O Yes I O Queue Depth request s Block Size MB nbsp

A:SSD slow read rate 264mb/sec

There's a known issue with SSD storage:

SSDs degrade in performance overtime - -
​DON'T run benchmarks and you don't need defrag either.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-slow-read-rate-264mb-sec.216431/
Relevancy 16.77%

The Samsung 840 EVO has been one of the most troubled solid state drives since its mid 2013 launch. Last year, users discovered that the drive suffers from performance degredation in the long run, with read speeds dropping off dramatically...

Read more

A:Samsung addresses slow 840 EVO SSD performance with another patch

I have bought several 840 drives myself, and our newest machines at work have 120GB 840 Evos. After installing Magician 4.6, I was presented with the option to upgrade to the EXT0DB6Q firmware. I then disabled rapid mode, and ran the benchmark testing(with rapid mode enabled, you're basically measuring your RAM). I saw about a 200 MB/s increase compared to my lowest score for Sequential Write, and more modest gains elsewhere. Note that with Magician 4.6, Standard performance optimization is not supported on Windows 8 or higher. However, a new "advanced" option is available, that performs a complete rewrite, refreshing data and alleviating access delays. It took about 10 minutes to complete on my system with about 60 GB used. I'll be doing more testing, and anxiously awaiting a Mac compatible ISO, as Magician is not available for OS X.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samsung-addresses-slow-840-evo-ssd-performance-with-another-patch.212470/
Relevancy 17.2%

I just purchased a to USB 2.0) as slow report USB be Could 2.0? hub 1.1 (too a -port quot USB quot hub with Power Adapter off eBay to replace a USB Could a USB 1.1 hub report as USB 2.0? (too slow to be 2.0) hub that I lost the power adapter for When I plug it in Windows claims to detect it as a quot USB Could a USB 1.1 hub report as USB 2.0? (too slow to be 2.0) hub quot and auto-installs the drivers for it but when I plugged my webcam into it I got a message telling me it would quot perform better if I plugged it into a USB port quot Suspicious I tried a few file copy tests to a Flash drive and it took over minutes to copy an M file to it plugged directly into a USB port it took about seconds I plugged the new hub into the exact same USB port my old unpowered hub was plugged into this is a new PC with USB ports No USB ports Removing the new hub and plugging my old one back in not only did file copy speed return to normal seconds for an M file but no quot speed warning quot when plugging my webcam into it So my questions are Could a USB hub incorrectly report it is a USB hub and Could it truly be a USB hub and it just installed the wrong drivers it s a generic hub and should use the same driver as the other PS I plugged the new hub into a USB port to see if it had any effect and the same M file copy took over minutes nbsp

A:Could a USB 1.1 hub report as USB 2.0? (too slow to be 2.0)

What is the make of the hub? The issue could be with the quality of the hub itself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-a-usb-1-1-hub-report-as-usb-2-0-too-slow-to-be-2-0.212307/
Relevancy 16.77%

Some Samsung 840 EVO SSD owners noticed their drives were slowing down last year, specifically the read speeds. Samsung issued a patch to fix the problem in October but it was only a temporary solution as slowdowns returned a few...

Read more

A:Samsung to fix slow 840 EVO SSDs with ''periodic refresh'' feature

Good news.
But where is the 4.6 version of software for us 840 EVO owners?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samsung-to-fix-slow-840-evo-ssds-with-periodic-refresh-feature.211495/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi guys - this is a weird problem that I ve always had since building this computer or years ago and I don t think the drive was new when I built it so it went from totally normal in my xp machine to doing this weird thing when I put it in a new system with Win I ve searched and not been able to find anyone with the same problem It normally occurs when listening to music or watching a film and it only happens very occasionally when you go to skip to to a new song or skip to a different place in the video It s never been a Some then HD until whirs clicks apps unresponsive major problem and in fact I think it s only done it once this week so aside from googling it a couple of times never actually got very far with fixing it So in winamp for example just after opening it I ll click next song winamp installation and music are on different hard drives as are VLC and movies and it ll freeze Then the disk will make a whir and about seconds later there will be a click and everything will come Some apps unresponsive until HD whirs then clicks back to life During this time I can move my mouse and do other things on the computer Like I said it s always done this and it s never got any worse or anything so I don t think it s a faulty drive but I ll post this in the HD section too just to see if any experts there can shed any light on it Thanks for your help nbsp

A:Some apps unresponsive until HD whirs then clicks

Look at your power profile settings. Likely the HD is being powered off after xx minutes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/some-apps-unresponsive-until-hd-whirs-then-clicks.210755/
Relevancy 17.2%

hi all just bought emachinesD620-261G16Mi MODEL NO -ms2257 from a y whos had enough of it..manufactured in 2008 she bought it and was very slow so as insurance still valid she sent it back , they had it 8 months then she got it back and still same problem press power on button and takes a while to load to desktop but then every application u click I get the little timer circle come up and everything takes ages please help .. it has
amd athlon 2650e cpu , 1gb ram ddr2 160gb harddrive please help

just to add on it now and I close an application or even a photo and I get the timer circle takes at least 30 seconds before I can click anything else . and sometimes all the icons on desktop dissapear then reappear after a while

A:Emachines running very very slow

Have you scanned for malware? (the obvious IS my speciality)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/emachines-running-very-very-slow.181026/
Relevancy 17.2%

My computer is being running slow and is choppy also, I'm making sure the system is clean right now.

A:Computer slow and choppy

Problem solved, runned some anti-malaware programs and cleaned my computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-slow-and-choppy.207403/
Relevancy 16.34%

When I am playing a video with any browser it is very choppy (sound and video).
Even Window sounds are choppy. It seems like if I move the mouse it gets worse.

Computer is very slow to open programs, even though the system idle process
is at 99% before starting another progam. This happens even when no browser is open and the
anti-virus software is disabled.

I don't know is this is a software or hardware issue.

A:Computer very slow. Choppy video and audio playback from browsers

Post this here:
http://www.techspot.com/community/forums/virus-and-malware-removal.28/
See if they can help with this problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-very-slow-choppy-video-and-audio-playback-from-browsers.207159/
Relevancy 37.84%

I ll try slow respond are Programs to to explain this the best I can A computer that I have not the one listed in any Programs are slow to respond of my sigs is having a little issue Programs are slow to respond Sometimes Programs are slow to respond when I turn on the computer I will open up a program the program will open but it s like it opens in slow motion as the program opens you see it slowly go into its open state You actually see it opening I know you can always somewhat see a program open but this is like it is in slow motion It does this for all the programs that I open and close This will actually go away later or sometimes if I restart it When I go into the bios the bios is very choppy It is an ASRock board and when I contacted them they said to reset the bios When I did it helped but now it is doing it again I have reset the bios again and it helped again the other day but now it is doing it again Does this sound like a bios problem Does anyone seem to know I don t know how else I could explain what is happening It is an ASRock Z Pro AMD XFX Vid card GSkill ripjaws memory Xeon E - V Corsair TX PSU Windows Pro nbsp

A:Programs are slow to respond

Slower response indicates the issue of bad memory allocation which is related with multitasking.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-are-slow-to-respond.206144/
Relevancy 17.2%

Randomly, about 2-3 weeks ago my computer began to run slowly. If I'm just browsing the internet or using word documents and things like that it is fine and I cannot tell. The problem lies in things like playing games or running programs like itunes. I checked for all virus/malware, and there was nothing that I could see. I did a defrag and cleaned/cleared the registry and temp folder. Does this sound like it could be a hardware or driver problem? If its not a virus, could you give me a few other reason a computer would start doing this randomly.

A:Computer runs slow

Overheating? What are the computers specs?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-runs-slow.179236/
Relevancy 16.77%

My internet started to become slow out of no where and I didn't mess with my router/modem or any computer settings so I'm guessing it's a hardware problem. Pages take a while to load, some don't load (Unable to connect to webpage message), or sometimes they won't load completely. I've had this happen 3 times over the past years, even with different routers/modems/ISP's, my internet would be working normally for a few months and then it'd dramatically get slower. I've always thought it was my router causing the problems, potentially screwing up and degrading my modem's performance. It must be that Netgear routers are awful, as that's the only brand of routers I've had over the years.

I'm on my desktop, and have my modem connected to my router. I'm connected to the internet via cable since my desktop doesn't have WiFi.
Got 58mb/s download speed and 12mb/s upload speed on speedtest. Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Edit: I have the same problem with every browser if you're wondering.

A:Internet suddenly slow and pages not loading completely

Have you tried having your ISP run a line check.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-suddenly-slow-and-pages-not-loading-completely.206046/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi I'm not a tech-y person so I'm just hoping that someone can help me.

I recently bought a new laptop it's a Lenovo G40
System:

Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz 2.40 GHz
RAM: 4.00GB
64-bit Operating System
Windows 8.1 Single Language
I got home, downloaded and installed Firefox for me to use as my default browser. I got to use it for awhile (about 3 hrs) then I tried going on Facebook and it was taking too long to load. Then I tried it on my phone, it loaded faster than on my laptop. I tried searching (on both devices) random stuff on google (e.g. Miley Cyrus) and it took my laptop about 3 mins to load and my phone only took less than a minute to load. I did a speedtest on my laptop and I got 3.4mbps as a result (that's fast enough right?).

I really hope someone could help me with this because I'm currently student and I have a lot of requirements to do and I can't do that without a laptop and internet.

A:Slow internet on laptop but fast on phone

So, all 3 are on WiFi. Can you run a test with either of the laptops connected with an Ethernet cable and let us know the results? I suspect your wireless router has 802.11N, and that your phone supports it but your PCs only support 802.11G. 802.11N and G don't always play nicely together, and no 802.11G implementations is ever going to deliver 49Mbps of application layer throughput.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-internet-on-laptop-but-fast-on-phone.205723/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hey all! I've been facing this problem for quite a long time even after upgrading my RAM. The problem is that on specific sites like Facebook, Dailymotion, etc, the audio playback is quite fine but the video playback is slow, laggy, choppy etc. Is it my computer's problem? Well, my graphics is quite low. By quite low, I mean only 32MB. I don't face this problem on Youtube and players like JW players(I guess) which is used in some sites.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.
Amal

A:Slow video playback on specific sites

Yeah it's probably you GPU, try viewing the videos in lower quality.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-video-playback-on-specific-sites.203738/
Relevancy 16.77%

I have an ancient eMachines T- Intel P- Ghz single core Prescott I m running XP-SP fully updated with the exception of SP- If I install SP I lose the ability to do a repair install My AV product is AVG Free This thing s Loading Firefox Page with Slow my Slow Page Loading with Firefox go to erotica finder Trust me I don t log in to my bank with it Anyway it seems terribly slow at loading pages with the CPU at or pushing usage I can t load more than one page at a time Slow Page Loading with Firefox or I get a quot problem server reset before page loaded quot type error Once the other page s have loaded a simple reload page command establishes the connection Firkefox Slow Page Loading with Firefox ver is the browser of choice with quot NoScript quot installed I just did a repair install of the OS which is the only way I could get it to reload the internet driver Intel Pro That doesn t seem to have helped My question is I want anybody s best opinion as to whether this level of performance is what I should expect as typical with this rig or is it just plain worn out and I should retire it with full military honors nbsp

A:Slow Page Loading with Firefox

Try disabling no script. That may be eating up all your resources and slowing down the loading of webpages. If that doesnt work, try another browser like Chrome. I would try completely clean installing windows rather than repairing it since just repairing will not clear anything such as viruses off of the PC. Malware could be another culprit and clean installation will allow you to wipe it out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-page-loading-with-firefox.202610/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey everyone I own the Acer Aspire G- and I ve had it for a little over two years now One 5552G-7641 Aspire with Temperatures Acer Extremely High of the main problems I have with it is its temperature Right now when all I have open Extremely High Temperatures with Acer Aspire 5552G-7641 is Firefox and iTunes the temperature according to Speedfan is as follows HD C Temp C GPU C Core C I have the rear of my laptop suspended about cm in the air by putting two bottle caps in the rear corners This is an attempt to promote better cooling When I play video games it overheats to the point that the laptop shuts off automatically I understand that the majority of overheating issues is not cleaning enough And indeed I have never cleaned my laptop before However opening the laptop or bringing it to a tech-guy is not really an option at the moment I have read on many forums that using compressed air is efficient but I have also read that it can be extremely dangerous on laptops because of water moisture Also they seem to only pertain to desktops With that said I am here to ask for advice as to what to do with this thing The only ventilation hole is on the left of the laptop and takes up about of the side If any additional information is needed I will gladly provide it Thank you nbsp

A:Extremely High Temperatures with Acer Aspire 5552G-7641

Speedfan is not accurate 95% of the time. Tell me the readings using Realtemp: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extremely-high-temperatures-with-acer-aspire-5552g-7641.192887/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi guys this is my first time posting so apologies if it is in the wrong place This is my PC spec Case - CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES T WHITE MID-TOWER CASE Processor CPU - Intel Core i Six Core Processor Extreme i - X GHz MB Cache Motherboard - ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION INTEL PC loud Extremely X SOCKET R O G Memory RAM - GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR Extremely loud PC MHz X M P x GB Graphics Card - GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX Ti - DVI HDMI DP - D Vision Ready nd Graphics Card - GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX Ti - DVI HDMI DP - D Vision Ready st Hard Disk - TB Samsung EVO SSD SATA Gb s upto MB sR MB sW nd Hard Disk - TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD FZEX SATA Gb s MB CACHE rpm Power Supply - CORSAIR W PRO SERIES PLATINUM AX i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU Processor Cooling - Corsair H i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler I got the PC up and running last week With that spec I am expecting the Extremely loud PC PC to be quite loud But it is horrendously loud when idle it is too loud so you can imagine when gaming etc it is unbearable you can hear it all over the house I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas how I could fix this issue I have downloaded Corsair Link and put it in quiet mode but it made no difference Thanks guys Gonz nbsp

A:Extremely loud PC

Download Speedfan and list the temps. Also play with the fan speed % to lower certain fan speeds and isolate the problem. This'll only work if you connected case fans to mobo (not PSU).

Also take a picture of your case, with particular detail to the space between the graphics cards.

Also, what was your previous computer? This isn't a server - even at all fans full speed you won't have "horrendously loud" system that can be overwhelming for an entire household. What I'm trying to say, is that you might be used to a laptop and not a performance workstation.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extremely-loud-pc.202984/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi All,

I have WD 1 TB passport, and all its operations are very very slow.
I cant use it at all. I have all the important documents in it.
Please someone help me out here.

Regards,
Sanoop.

A:WD hard disk all operations very slow

The only thing I can really recommend is to defragment the external HDD using a program such as Defraggler.

If that doesnt help, you may have a virus on the HDD, in that case, I would recommend posting in the malware forums.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-hard-disk-all-operations-very-slow.201315/
Relevancy 16.77%

I ve read all I can about this online and tried everything I ve come across Since upgrading my internet same ISP the upload on my computer not any others on the network It ranges from megabits to If I boot into linux I get but that s far from the megabits the other Slow Problem: Bizzare Infuriating Upload Network computers on the network get But the strange thing is the problem seems to affect only certain programs My browsers are affected as the internet tests I do are from the browser OBS streaming software will not upload more then megabits about k However utorrent can completely max out my upload I ve tried stopping the WMI service and Bizzare Infuriating Network Problem: Slow Upload I have no traffic shaping software installed Here are my specs Operating System Windows Pro -bit CPU Intel Core i K GHz C Haswell nm Technology RAM GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - Motherboard MSI Z -GD GAMING MS- SOCKET C Graphics SyncMaster x Hz LG TV x Hz MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX Gigabyte C Storage GB Samsung SSD EVO GB SSD C GB SanDisk SDSSDHP G SSD C GB TOSHIBA DT ACA SATA C GB Seagate Bizzare Infuriating Network Problem: Slow Upload ST DL - VT SATA C Optical Drives PIONEER DVD-RW DVR- L Audio ASUS Xonar DGX Audio Device Various Network info You are connected to the internet Connected through Killer e Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS IP Address Subnet mask Gateway server Preferred DNS server DHCP Enabled DHCP server External IP Address Adapter Type Ethernet NetBIOS over TCP IP Enabled via DHCP NETBIOS Node Type Hybrid node Link Speed Bps Computer Name NetBIOS Name CALVINS-PC DNS Name Calvins-PC Membership Part of workgroup Workgroup WORKGROUP Remote Desktop Disabled Console State Active Domain Calvins-PC WinInet Info LAN Connection Local system uses a local area network to connect to the Internet Local system has RAS to connect to the Internet Wi-Fi Info Wi-Fi not enabled WinHTTPInfo WinHTTPSessionProxyType No proxy Session Proxy Session Proxy Bypass Connect Retries Connect Timeout ms HTTP Version HTTP Max Connects Per Servers INFINITE Max Connects Per Servers INFINITE Max HTTP automatic redirects Max HTTP status continue Send Timeout ms IEProxy Auto Detect Yes IEProxy Auto Config IEProxy IEProxy Bypass Default Proxy Config Access Type No proxy Default Config Proxy Default Config Proxy Bypass Sharing and Discovery Network Discovery Enabled File and Printer Sharing Enabled File and printer sharing service Enabled Simple File Sharing Enabled Administrative Shares Enabled Network access Sharing and security model for local accounts Classic - local users authenticate as themselves Adapters List Killer e Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS Connection-specific DNS Suffix Home Connection Name Ethernet NetBIOS over TCPIP Yes DHCP enabled Yes MAC Address D - D- E-F - B- IP Address Subnet mask Gateway server DHCP DNS Server Network Shares Misc D Misc Finished Torrents D Downloads Finished Torrents Games D Games Games E Games Torrents E Downloads Torrents Video D Video Video E Video Current TCP Connections C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation Update Core NvBackend exe C Program Files Box Sync BoxSync exe C Program Files Hola app hola exe C Users Calvin AppData Roaming uTorrent uTorrent exe C Windows Explorer EXE G Program Files x Nightly firefox exe G Program Files x Razer Razer Game Booster main exe G Program Files x Samsung Magician Samsung Magician exe G Steam Steam exe hola svc exe hola updater exe KillerService exe lsass exe NvNetworkService exe nvstreamsvc exe services exe svchost exe svchost exe svchost exe System Process System Process wininit exe nbsp

A:Bizzare Infuriating Network Problem: Slow Upload

I figured it out, the Killer NIC on my Z87GD65 mobo was not compatible with NetLimiter. Uninstalling it fixed the problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bizzare-infuriating-network-problem-slow-upload.201410/
Relevancy 16.77%

When I play windows media player or any other mp3 player my pc begins to slow down a lot and mouse stutters and my internet webpage closes :/ any help please?

I've posted my IRQ

A:When I play music my PC starts to slow down and mouse stutters

What are your system specs?

Some possible solutions: Make sure Windows is up to date. Try updating your sound driver (post your system specs and I will show you how to).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/when-i-play-music-my-pc-starts-to-slow-down-and-mouse-stutters.200950/
Relevancy 17.2%

So I have high speed internet, but I've recently discovered that when I use the wifi adapter on my desktop, (I have no direct ethernet where it is), the download speed is EXTREMELY slow.. and all videos are sluggish, my question is, can I tether my computer to my LAPTOP with the GOOD internet, for better speeds, using it like it was a wifi adapter?

A:Slow Internet

Please explain how your laptop is connected which results in fast Internet. And then explain why your PC does not have the same Internet connection. Both machines should have the same connection possibilities.

What you are describing is an Ad-Hoc Connection (then Internet Connection Sharing). But that is not what you want, if you can connect them both to the Internet independently. Even if you do make an Ad-Hoc Connection, you would likely be facing the same issue that made your connection slow to begin with.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-internet.199559/
Relevancy 16.77%

Please I need your help I have Seagate SSHD hard disk model ST DX it is working fine but I can t use any too SSHD Seagate (ST2000DX001) is slow software from Seagate website the software are -Sea tools for windows when I use the software the software doesn t see my hard Seagate SSHD (ST2000DX001) is too slow disk it can only see Generic USB SD READER -download finder software again doesn t recognize the hard disk -Seagate Maxtor serial number locator again doesn t see my hard disk -Drive detect utility lt again doesn t see my hard disk When I go to device manager gt disk drive section I can see ST DX - CM SCSI disk device I already installed windows OS with all the windows updates internet security softwares -Please can I use disk defragmentation software with this hard disk The softwares I have for degragmentation -iolo system mechanics -Glarys utilities -Ashampoo win optimizer I use the defragmentation software one at a times please reply to this question as well another thing this hard drive is too slow like I have normal HDD it should be a lot faster than the normal HDD When I turn the pc on it took minute seconds to fully load to desktop but it took seconds when it turned off I watched a lot of clips in you tube about this SSHD I am not saying is bad but it should be faster I wrote one month ago to seagate technical support they don t bother to reply to my email what kind of technical support it that I have SATAII connection do you think shall I buy SATAIII card internal or upgrade the memory from GB to GB maximum the motherboard allow me I hope to hear from you very soon My kindest regards habib nbsp

A:Seagate SSHD (ST2000DX001) is too slow

habib,

What kind of PC is this you have installed the sshd into? make/model or if it's a custom system please give us the specs.
What version of windows are you running on this PC?

I personally wouldn't worry about running the software that came with the drive, sometimes utilities from the manufacturers can be worthless or do more harm than good.

Again, personally, I would NOT run any of those programs you say are for "defragmentation" None of those programs are designed for defragmentation, they are 3rd party utilities that are just going to needlessly scan your hard drive for crap that may or may not be there - they are unnecessary and I would not recommend running them. Not only are they not for designed for defragmentation, they are redundant, they all three supposedly do the same damn thing. Point being, don't install them, don't run them - that just my two cents, someone else may tell you differently, take it with a grain of salt.

read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation so that you know what defragmentation is and have a better understanding of how it truly works.

Should you get a SATA3 card?! Probably not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
SATA3 supports 600MB/s read/write speeds @ 6Gb/s.
SATA2 supports 300MB/s read/write speeds @ 3Gb/s.
That being stated, that is the theoretical limit of each type of connection. In a perfect world, with perfect conditions, you MIGHT get those kind of speeds. Not only that, but mechanical hard drives are NOT going to get even remotely close to the theoretical speeds of SATA2. The hard drive you have the average read/write speeds are: 156MB/s which is waaay lower than SATA2 and super lower than SATA3 specs. (see attached .pdf spec sheet, I have highlighted specs on your drive) A SSD (solid state drive) would come closer to the SATA3 specs for read/write speeds, for example the Samsung 840 EVO SSD has average read write speeds over 500MB/s.

So is this drive that much faster than your old drive? Not really, it has an 8GB nand flash memory cache onboard, which can improve speeds slightly, once windows has booted. The hard drive itself is smart enough to determine what files need to be placed into that cache, but it's still not going to make a big difference in the overall performance of the drive.

I hope my comments have helped. if you have further questions please post back. Take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-sshd-st2000dx001-is-too-slow.199472/
Relevancy 45.58%

I just got this computer about 2 weeks ago, and ALREADY I am getting lag problems. I have the CPU widget, and when I am JUST on the web browser, I get about 50-70 CPU being used. My specs are:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
Nvidia GeForce GT 430
And if it helps, I AM using an external HDD for most of my programs, since the original PC came with only 250 GB.

A:Computer becoming extremely slow. It's brand new.

Which applications do you have installed to the external?
What connection type and speed is the external HDD?

I'm not sure I would install applications to a USB 2.0 drive. Especially if the applications are used frequently. I know I wouldn't if the application installs memory resident system monitors that run 24/7. However I usually disable these monitors from running at startup as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-becoming-extremely-slow-its-brand-new.199474/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hey I just bought a new
mb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130709
processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280
memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130680

I did not replace my HDD and the are 3GB not 6 GB as this board supports but are SATA and I have nothing special starting up beside the basic items and AVG 2013 and magic ISO which I had all this on my old system. I am running windows 7 and it takes this machine almost 5 min to boot up it just sits at the windows display screen. I never overclocked anything but I thought this upgrade would be faster than my 4 year old system that this replaced, not slower! OK so any ideas? Would the 6GB SATA HDD drive make that much of a difference?

A:Slow (new) system

6GB HDD? Dude what, that's ancient.

Get a new HDD, or a cheap SSD - you'll really see it fly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-new-system.198644/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop that I bought in 2006 and it runs EXTREMELY slow, whether I am on the Internet or just doing basic tasks in Windows or MS Office. It has Windows XP, some basic software (like MS Office), and only a few files (because the hard drive crashed last year, so I only put a few files back on it, after installing the new hard drive). I know it's relatively old, but is there ANYTHING I can do to increase the speed of the computer, without buying additional memory? Any help I can get with increasing the speed will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I don't know if this is a different issue, but sometimes the laptop seems to get too hot (at the bottom) after being on for too long.

Thanks in advance.

A:Dell laptop runs extremely slow - need help boosting speed

First, make sure your vents are clear of dust. Heat can cause all kinds of issues. Do you have a cooling pad?

Second, have you scanned for infections?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-laptop-runs-extremely-slow-need-help-boosting-speed.167636/
Relevancy 16.77%

I have multiple devices setup through the same connection. In the past the all got about 18mbps download. The other devices still get that but one device now maxes out between 35mbps. I haven't changed any hardware or software. It is a Windows 7 machine. Any ideas?

A:Why would one computer have a slow internet connection?

Are all wired?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-would-one-computer-have-a-slow-internet-connection.198453/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi,
I just got a new toshiba satellite C55-A5302 laptop and I immediately encountered a problem. The keyboard was not responding but I noticed that if I held down the key long enough then it owuld respond. I was wondering if this was a problem with the drives or if it was a factory defect or if there was any easy fix for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Keyboard Problem - Extremely Slow Response TIme

DON'T void the warranty, send it back to get it fixed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-problem-extremely-slow-response-time.198232/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hello,
recently my old router died, so I bought the new one. I connected it to my PC, entered my ISP information. It's working, but kinda slowly. My ISP speed used to be 10MB/s, but now I'm downloading torrents only with 1MB/s. Task manager shows that network is used by 10% since I have my adapers speed and duplex set to auto negotation. Do you have any ideas how to fix this?
EDIT: I use cable connection.

A:New router slow down speed

Disable QoS on the router and the PC

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-router-slow-down-speed.196808/
Relevancy 30.1%

Normally, 99.999% of the time I just shut it down completely but I'd like to know what "sleep" means?
Does that mean if I do so, upon opening the lid it'll be where I left it at?
I notice in Control Panel>Power Options>System Settings whether its on battery or plugged in , it shows sleep.

A:Choose What closing the lid does?

I recommend sleeping the laptop if you are gonna use it after you close it within the next few hours. Otherwise shut it down.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/choose-what-closing-the-lid-does.196755/
Relevancy 16.77%

I have a laptop on new Internet Slow browsing new laptop a Samsung NP V AH Core i GB RAM GB NVIDIA and -bit Windows Home Premium It works perfectly fine Slow Internet browsing on new laptop but internet browsing is extremely slow This is specifically the wireless browsing that s slow When I connect with a cable it s much faster I have a fast internet connection that Slow Internet browsing on new laptop works great on wireless with my other even older laptops but for some reason Slow Internet browsing on new laptop it s slow on this one It makes no difference if there are no other devices connected whether I m close to the router or not what the signals are like - it s slow anyways I have a Dlink router DIR- and I ve called the Dlink people about this but besides minor adjustments in the router settings they can t do much considering other devices work just fine I ve tried a router reset to no avail I ve tried Mozilla and Google Chrome as well but changing browsers doesn t make a difference either I m running Norton Internet Security Any help I could get on this would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Slow Internet browsing on new laptop

Is the speeds slow on other wireless connections? Such as a friends or even a public Hot Spot? It could be a problem with your wireless adapter integrated within your laptop. Especially since your hardline connection seems to work fine. That leads me to believe its nothing wrong with your network and the problem lies within your laptop. Make sure it has the proper drivers installed and it isn't malfunctioning in anyway. In WIN7 there is a way to have the OS diagnose any potential problems within a adapter. I recommend trying that as well and reporting back here with the results.

**Edit : Also, try disabling Norton and see if your speeds improve.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-internet-browsing-on-new-laptop.183709/
Relevancy 17.2%

I have a T line at the small school I work at maximum of computers I ran line work T1 very at slow a speed test and received a Mbps I ran the same test at home and received a Mbps on a cable connection When T1 line very slow at work I ran the test at work there were only other people on a computer The school pays for the T line Part of that could be payment for actually running the line I think the connection hub was miles away We are in a remote part of PA so future options could be limited From what I know the overall Mbps is So if we have computers on the network does it work like this Mbps Mbps each Is T that slow I thought T was a good connection Has it just become old and outdated Why is it that years ago schools with hundreds of computers ran seamlessly on T and we can t run a maximum of computers on it now nbsp

A:T1 line very slow at work

You should be asking your ISP these questions.

I'm not absolutely positive, but I will state my two cents. I think all the machines on the network uses what is known as timeshare. If only one machine needs access then all the bandwidth is alloted to this one machine. But if two machines need access, time is shared between the two machines. Timeshare is split between machines making data request. Once a machine is no longer sending data request, there is no need in timeshare being alloted for the machine. In other words there is no specific set speed for each machine on the network. Network traffic is controlled by how many machines are making network request at any given time.

Hallo104 said:

Why is it that 10 years ago schools with hundreds of computers ran seamlessly on T1 and we can't run a maximum of 30 computers on it now?Click to expand...

This phenomenon you mention is the Internet evolving and requiring more bandwidth as it progresses. The Internet 10 years ago wasn't bloated with as many high bandwidth websites. Dial-up was probably still common and fully functional back then. I'd hate to even make a connection with Dial-up now, it would probably take 4 minutes, for a single web-page to render.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/t1-line-very-slow-at-work.195746/
Relevancy 20.21%

So, I recently bought an Asus UX31a running windows 8(in may) and it was working perfectly until a couple months ago. The only browser that works is internet explorer, which is disgusting (I miss Google Chrome) and several programs such as Adobe reader, Google drive, steam and visual studio either lag for about 5 mins each whenever I want to use them (or click something in them), or I have to close them with the task manager because they aren't responding...(This includes when I want to open pdf documents in internet explorer.

I've run several virus checks with ESET smart security which hasn't ever found any viruses...

It would be a great help if anybody could help me find what the problem is.

A:Multiple programs are stopping to work, also, I don't appear to have had or ever have a virus.

Try using a new Windows Restore point. This may not work because of "it was working perfectly until a couple months ago"... It is most likely caused from a stubborn malware infection other than a virus

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multiple-programs-are-stopping-to-work-also-i-dont-appear-to-have-had-or-ever-have-a-virus.196063/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hey everyone,

So I am using Windows 7 and I have been trying to open my Sound options under my Control Panel to no avail.

When I click on the "Sound" text, my Control Panel box slightly fades as if a window is going to open but no such window ever does. 5-10 minutes later, the sound controls will finally pop up. It is experiencing some kind of heavy delay.

I have been told it may be a driver issue but my drivers are relatively new (3-4 weeks old).

Let me know if you guys have any solutions.

Thanks.

A:Sound Control Opening With Heavy Delay

Hmm, could be a bug with the new drivers.

Try un-installing all audio devices and then re-install.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-control-opening-with-heavy-delay.195146/
Relevancy 16.77%

Up until a few days ago I had no problems with my wireless internet connection.
Ihave Bt Infinity. I have two computers a desktop operating on Windows xp and a laptop.
There is no problem with the laptop and am getting download speeds around 38 to 40 Mbps
However on the desktop the download speed has dropped to 3 to 4 Mbps and the connection cuts off every ten or 15 minutes. The only way I can get it back is to unplug and reinstall my netgear adapter.
Any help on resolving this issue would be much appreciated

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bt-infinity-slow-and-connecting-keeps-dropping-out.195141/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello, I'm David, and I am having problems with packet loss. I usually use internet to watch videos, play some games and what not, but recently I started experiencing lags. I googled it up, and then tried to see if my pc had packet loss (pinged google.com -t). I had a 6% packet loss. Then I tried it on my other pc (it is connected to the same router and is half a meter away from other one). It had 0% packed loss. Then I remembered that recently I downloaded some programs and stuff on the pc with the packet loss. Could it be the cause of my packet loss? Thank you to all who at least read my delema.

A:Internet packed loss. (Could it be a programs fault?)

What Router brand and model are you using?
Are you connected wired or wireless?
Are you connected 100mbps or 1.0 Gbps.
Have you upgraded the firmware on the router lately?
Also have you upgraded the drivers on the PCs network cards?
Have you ever power cycled the power on the router or modem?
Any switches connected to the router? If so, try a different port.
Have you tried a different port on the router?

Packet loss in a router means the router started degrading on the ports side.
Device could be overheating or just have duff ports (bad)
In your case you can also.

1. Backup config settings in the Router
2. Do a Factory Reset will wipe all prior settings out
3. Restore Backup config settings in the Router

If all was tried you should consider replacing the router only as option though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-packed-loss-could-it-be-a-programs-fault.194386/
Relevancy 32.68%

Need help quickly. We purchased a Sony PC running windows 8. However, it locked me out after first shut down. My password, whihc I am absolutely sure was correct, was denied. Now we are not very, very tech savvy, but enough to set up our stuff, and have had computers since Atari. I returned the unit to Best Buy, and their Geeks are "systems restoring". When I g today, I need to make a choice between a the same unit, but new, or purchase an iMac. Husband primary user and needs Quicken. He does not like change. We do not game, nor do sophisticated projects. Suggestions, please.

A:Sony All in One - Need Quick Response

Go with what you know - - less learning curve and you will feel better about the money spent. Buyers remorse begins with "I spent all this money and _ _ _ (fillin the blanks).

If your background is windows, then if at all possible get Windows 7 Pro instead of Windows 8/anything.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-all-in-one-need-quick-response.194075/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi Everyone As you can see by the title I m having a few strange issues At random points during the day my mouse moves and sometimes right clicks system volume mutes itself and turns itself down and lastly the DVD drive randomly opens them immediately closes a couple times a day First thought was quot Someone is playing a prank on me quot because it s my work computer and has various shadowing remote control tools on it like UltraVNC and Teamviewer however stopping these services did nothing Then I thought it might be a virus or hacking tool system runs Sophos anti-virus and the computer is behind a pretty powerful corporate firewall nonetheless I ran MalwareBytes HijackThis and Spybot Search amp Destroy and they found nothing I ve also tried replacing the mouse and keyboard just in case but still nothing Is anyone able to help shed some light on DVD Opening Mousing Volume By Themselves Muting and Moving, Drive these issues Not particularly keen to reformat my work machine and put myself out of action for a few hours Cheers David nbsp

A:Mousing Moving, Volume Muting and DVD Drive Opening By Themselves

Any updates on this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mousing-moving-volume-muting-and-dvd-drive-opening-by-themselves.191698/
Relevancy 16.77%

I slow running games Laptop m curious to know why this Acer aspired v - runs games slow Like Street fighter X Tekken can t run at max Laptop running games slow Iron brigade or even this MMO I play being FFXI I get lag running everything on high Specs AMD Quad core processor A AMD Radeon HD g MB GB DDR GB HDD I play FFXI a lot and I can t even increase resolution a bit or some settings higher because I will begin to experience some lag quot moving game camera slower then normal speed quot is there a particular reason as to why this laptop is having problems with light weight games I have only updated GPU driver and replaced HDD with SSD ive notice no improvements for any game other then pc booting in seconds and everything else OS wise is insane fast quot I m being told that if I update ram to gaming better ram my experience will increase Because this stock ram quot sucks quot so I m looking at GB HMZ should I buy that will it even help me is stock ram from laptops in general just bad nbsp

A:Laptop running games slow

It's a mobile low-end APU. You don't actually have a graphics card.

You need to turn down the graphical details in games.

RAM won't help you much, 4GB is OK.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-running-games-slow.190744/
Relevancy 29.24%

Well, a long time ago, I was just playing WoW and my CPU fan just started getting realllly loud out of no where, and it hasn't ever done this. So I lightly hit it and the noise stopped for awhile and now it's back. Hitting it doesn't do the trick anymore, I mean it's like out of this world, it's so annoying. My brother is a computer geek and runs servers and stuff out of our house, his room looks pretty crazy, anyways I haven't really asked him about it. I think last time though he said to just get a new CPU, I don't really have alot of money though.

A:My CPU fan is extremely loud, how do I fix it?

Why not just replace the fan? Make sure it's a CPU fan and not a chassis fan.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-cpu-fan-is-extremely-loud-how-do-i-fix-it.175853/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi there!

Straight to the point:

Tablet specifications:
- Manta Tablet PowerTab 10" HD MID1001
- CPU - Cortex A-8 1.5GHz
- GPU - Mali-400
- 3D OPEN GL V2.0
- Ram 1GB
- Android ver. 4.0.4
- compile number - crane_axmid-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D 20120803 test-keys
- kernel 3.0.8+ [email protected] #52

Problem:
- slow page load (if any!) - tested on default browser, chrome, opera, opera mini, etc etc
- no reaction for stopping loading pages

Thoughts:
- not a router problem (802.11n WPA2/AES)
- other android devices working well on that hotspot
- Google Play working well on tablet, no lags, no interference (same other online soft - skype etc)
- tried system restore, default settings, changing router settings

Techspot is my last hope. Help me!

A:Slow browser failing to load pages on tablet

Download a terminal emulator, do some pings.

Check the advanced setting for the Wifi, there may be some weird DNS entries or something.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-browser-failing-to-load-pages-on-tablet.188781/
Relevancy 16.77%

I bought a new laptop a few months ago, and ever since I bought it I struggled with this slow internet browsing, at first multiple sites wouldn't load up as fast as I wanted it to. hotmail.com would load up in 30 seconds, and sometimes it wouldn't load up at all. Sometimes it would be no data sent. This happens on certain sites. Some sites load up instantly, some doesn't. My IPod / my old HP laptop would run perfectly fine and better than this. Internet for gaming, downloading is perfectly fine.

My laptop model is Hp pavilion m6-1035dx !
Someone please help, much thanks is appreciated!!

A:New laptop, very slow Internet browsing

Typically, this is an issue with the DNS settings. The system will ask DNS#1 and wait for it to timeout before asking DNS#2.
That delay makes browsing very akward/slow.

Get a command prompt (start->run->cmd)
1) find your DNS settings
issue IPCONFIG /all
look for

Code:
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.116.96.2

(yes, I have three)

2) try accessing each manually

Code:

nslookup google.com 216.116.96.2
nslookup google.com 216.52.251.1
nslookup google.com 209.18.47.16

(notice these are from the (1) results)
If any timeout, substitute 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-laptop-very-slow-internet-browsing.187830/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello Techspot!!!!

I have had my laptop for nearly 3 years but I wouldn't deem it to be a poor performance laptop. Recently I have been getting slow internet, poor keyboard response and slow scrolling, and it is very frustrating!!! I share the BT 3 homehub with good connection speed which was checked and found fine! My housemates laptop has started having the same problem as mine and I really want to fix this issue. The internet, keyboard and scrolling speeds vary everyday but overall are slow performers. I have looked through some of the threads and have seen people posting long threads of code etc :/ Is there anyone out there who has the time and patience to help me fix this problem? It would be most appreciated!!!

Many Thanks

Dan

A:Slow internet, poor keyboard response and slow scrolling problems

First, get us

make/model of all PCs
of the internet modem
and any extra router attached.
Is this a rather new ISP for you and/or are the PCs newish or older ones?

Did you every have good response? HOW long ago?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-internet-poor-keyboard-response-and-slow-scrolling-problems.187909/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello, I've recently got a new laptop, It works great. 0 Lag problems for anything, no freezing, it has decent speed and it seems to be better in every way compared to my previous laptop, however the internet is terrible. It takes 10~ seconds to load google let alone search something and it takes forever for a 10 minute youtube video to load on 360p. I can only assume that my computer does not get along with my router. Can any of you please help me fix this issue? Everything would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much.

I'd like to add that at moments it has really good connection but about 90% of the time it's as I said above.

A:New laptop, extremely slow Internet

We will need lots of hardware and setup info to do you any good

version of windows
make + model of your modem and router if any
your ISP connection is ADSL or Cable? to which ISP
how are you connected to your modem or router? wired or wifi?
get on line and then
get a command prompt and enter IPCONFIG /ALL >myTCP.txt
open myTCP.txt and copy/paste that information into your follow-up response.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-laptop-extremely-slow-internet.187362/
Relevancy 17.63%

I did some general maintenance on a friend's computer: -

Ran Ccleaner
Removed old out of date antivirus installed new one, updated it, ran it and removed 1 threat
Turned off startup programs
Adjusted appearance for best performance

Didn't do anything major and nothing I wouldn't normally do.

Her computer runs a lot better now but has chipmunk audio problem I'm going to take a look but I'm thinking: -

Drivers
Direct X
Settings in realtek (or equiv.)

Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

A:Windows XP Chipmunk audio all programs and Windows sounds

Are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-chipmunk-audio-all-programs-and-windows-sounds.186534/
Relevancy 17.2%

Almost since the day we bought our laptop several years ago it's been slow to start up, but now it's worse and taking forever.

I don't know where to start to remedy the problem. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Specs: Hp Pavillion Entertainment Laptop
Windows Vista

A:Slow startup

First off, I suggest that you defragment your hard drive. It would also be good if you can check that you don't have unnecessary programs in your start up configuration.

To do this, type 'msconfig' (without quotation marks) in the Windows search box and then either press enter on your keyboard or double-click on the MSCONFIG program that appears in the search results.

Once the System Configuration utility is up, click on the 'startup' tab. You should see a list of services and programs that Windows loads every time you boot or restart your PC. Laptops that come with pre-installed copies of Windows usually have a tonload of unnecessary software ticked in that list. These slow your system down and are a waste of RAM and disk space. Check out this Techspot thread to learn more about this particular subject.

If it's an option, then you should also try installing more RAM into your machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-startup.185610/
Relevancy 15.05%

Last week I have purchased a WD TB Green Drive as well as fast speed slow but write Green 2TB WD read has My speed a non-raid capable raid card Rosewill RC- since my older PC WinXP Celeron D GB RAM does not have SATA ports I have installed fresh drivers form Rosewills website even though they are not needed for non-raid configurations The PC recognized the card right away as well as the My 2TB WD Green has fast write speed but slow read speed HDD The write speeds are as expected however the read speeds are between KB and KB I cannot figure out why the read speeds do not exceed MB I have plugged the HDD as an external drive via USB and the read My 2TB WD Green has fast write speed but slow read speed write speeds are as expected Anyone knows why and how to fix it Update I have tried TB WD green drive -year old and it works as expected Update I have just spoken with Rosewill tech and he said that using PCI card and such a large drive it is expected to be slow Personally I believe it is B S You P S for moderators I have similar thread under storage and networking but it no longer applies as such issue Please delete it nbsp

A:My 2TB WD Green has fast write speed but slow read speed

The Rosewill card's transfer rate is "up to 1.5GB/s." The WD hard drive's is 3.0Gb/s. Perhaps if you set the jumper on the 5-6 pins to activate the 1.5GB/s rate per this instruction: Western Digital.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-2tb-wd-green-has-fast-write-speed-but-slow-read-speed.152655/
Relevancy 37.41%

Is this even possible? Ive never seen a download speed so low, I cant even watch youtube, and forget netflix. Yet my upload seems to be through the roof. What is causing this? .58mb/s DL with a 43.26mb/s upload @ 5 ms ping.

A:Extremely low download speed and extremely high upload speed

Might I ask what time of day you did that test? In My Opinion, the Internet is like the Interstate. You can't go fast at rush hour.
You should try it at different times of day to see if it changes.
You could even try another test site http://www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/
http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/ http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
http://www.dslreports.com/stest
Good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extremely-low-download-speed-and-extremely-high-upload-speed.184515/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have made a mistake in my computer and I do not know what I did or where I did it to create the screen to become black when I go to a second screen. I can open a website fine, but when I go to a second page it comes up black with only very light grey printing. Can someone walk me through changing this back from black to a more readable color?
Oh, I forgot to tell that I have Windows 7 on this laptop.

A:Opening second page comes up black

Are you talking about an external monitor connected to the laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/opening-second-page-comes-up-black.184086/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi folks I m new here and not greatly technically minded My Acer Aspire Z laptop has been acting strange for a few days running Windows btw Some of the issues are even happening right now ie as I type the cursor will sometimes restart a new line as if I ve pressed the Return button Acer apps is Laptop and and more opens multiple corrupted This is esp bad in emails and Facebook and often the cursor flies down miles Acer Laptop is corrupted and opens multiple apps and more making it a pain to get back to where I was That s not all though There s a horrible beeping noise when I start up the laptop first thing It goes after I press one of the F buttons The worst though is when I try to open up some app on my desktop and sometimes the laptop goes crazy and opens up multiple other apps software There have been instances where there are dozens of the same pages opening I have McAfee Internet Security and have run Malwarebytes and Spybot but problem is still there Is this a hardware problem do Acer Laptop is corrupted and opens multiple apps and more you think I m not great at techie Acer Laptop is corrupted and opens multiple apps and more speak so please go easy with me but I d be grateful for any advice Cheers David nbsp

A:Acer Laptop is corrupted and opens multiple apps and more

UNless someone else has a better idea, how old is this computer & is it still under warranty? If so, I'd get a hold of the where you bought it & get it checked out. IF you don't & have "other" work done on it, it could VOID the warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-laptop-is-corrupted-and-opens-multiple-apps-and-more.183988/
Relevancy 27.09%

Anyone think they can help me with this annoying issue? My internet at times will randomly drop
and reconnect after 30 seconds or so. Usually the error messages on my laptop or PC will say that a local cable has been unplugged, limit connectivity or a problem with the access point.

I'm running Windows XP on PC and Windows 7 on the laptop. I have a Dlink WBR-1310 router and it's secured with a WPA encryption. I honestly think it's a problem with my router, because I never had this issue before I first bought it.

A:Internet keeps dropping at random times

Reset the router to see if it will cure the problem.

Instructions on how to do so can be found here: http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-sol...wbr-series-router-to-factory-default-settings

You might also want to try updating the firmware of the router.

You'll need to select the correct revision first...

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/support/product/wbr-1310-wireless-g-router?revision=

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-keeps-dropping-at-random-times.183645/
Relevancy 17.2%

I dont get the internet speed that my isp offers me.
like when I surf pages and load videos it is very slow, but on the other hand my isp offers me 1mbps.
when I login to safe mode I feel that the internet there is very fast but in normal mode it is slow.
some times I get speed of 1.5mb/s from the isp and normally I get 70 kb/ps which is really slow and nothing compared to what I should be getting.
can u please fix this issue as well.

A:Slow Internet speed

I don't know that I can't fix your issue, but I can help you check for what might contribute to the slowdown:

What type of connection do you have: Dial-up, cable or DSL?
Click on Start> Settings> Control Panel> System:
[o]What is the operating system?
[o]How much Ram is installed?
Click on Start< Run> type in msconfig> Enter> Choose Startup tab
[o]How many boxes are checked?
Right click on the Taskbar> Task Manager>(in Normal Mode)
[o]Processes tab> Look at the bottom and tell me how many processes are running
[o]Performance tab> Look on the bottom for the Physical Memory
[o]How much Total Memory?
[o]How much Available Memory?
[o]How much is in the System Cache?
================================
When I have the information from the 4 questions above, I may be able to help you.

Logging on to Safe Mode will prevent some drivers and Services from running, so the system will move faster, but you will be able to do less than in Normal Mode.

In Normal Mode, everything you have checked on the Startup Menu to start on boot has to load. Most of those processes will run in the background. This can slow you down.
-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-internet-speed.183528/
Relevancy 26.66%

My pc seems to get very high CPU at times which makes the computer very slow especially the internet which goes straight to not responding Recently it has been doing it alot where the CPU and computer fluctuate between being normal and silent to then suddenly loud with CPU upto - and at some few loads couple times every CPU high minutes PC a has My points much higher This fluctuates a lot e g every minuite on average I put CPU processes tab in Windows My PC has high CPU loads a few times every couple minutes Task Manager -When silent and normal System idle process seems to be around then then jqs exe popped up a few times as well A few iexplore exe names pop up especially fuctuating under System idle process at the top The CPU can be low around - with the odd high numbers fluctuating and appearing up to -When loud and slow the CPU can be up to fluctuating higher at times System idle process is up to avp exe is up there aroudn and more Around - iexplore exe around and much higher names appear with some above system idle process jqs exe popped up a few times again The CPU seems to move about to high s even when quiet and then it leads to being noisy within a minute since being silent nbsp

A:My PC has high CPU loads a few times every couple minutes

my pc hit 100 in the CPU today, making the internet freeze, until I ended the internet programme in task manager. Why is the CPU getting this high?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-pc-has-high-cpu-loads-a-few-times-every-couple-minutes.181145/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi I posted a thread in quot viruses malwar quot After running a some all coming at slow, not running freezing, Computer up games check on the computer they saw nothing malicious suggested it is a hardware problem and suggested I post something here When I restarted my computer the other day Windows loaded normally boot time was seconds However when I clicked on the icon for Google Chrome nothing happened I tried others and the same thing I was sitting there thinking I may have picked up a virus and Google Chrome opened I discovered that it just took awhile for the programs to open so I updated and ran SE and MWB then did a disc cleanup The computer was fine The next evening I turned the computer on and the same thing happened So I repeated the process Since then the programs are sluggish to open and some of the games I play won t open at all I have Windows and have only had the computer since Sept Oct of I am not great with computers but have cleaned a computer in the past through TechSpot so I can follow instructions Any ideas nbsp

A:Computer running slow, freezing, some games not coming up at all

well the first step is making sure you dont have a ton of programs running in the system tray (next to the clock.).
If you could click the windows button, right click computer, click properties, and tell us what is written down in system, it would give us a better idea of the caliber of PC we are talking about here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-running-slow-freezing-some-games-not-coming-up-at-all.182116/
Relevancy 17.2%

A question about my computer this time, the internet speed appears to have slowed down noticeably, it is normally 12 - 15MB download speed but my last successful test was only 0.8MB. If I connect through another desktop I get the normal speed, if I connect wirelessly that also works fine, I disconnected the ethernet cable form my pc and connected it to a laptop and speed is again fine, its just my machine, e-mail is also very slow or it gives up trying.
I have reloaded the Nvidia drivers which made no difference, my mobo has 2 ethernet ports and I have tried both but they are both slow, it was working fine and then overnight it dropped to a crawl.
Have you guys any words of wisdom for me?

A:Slow Internet one one computer

have you tried checking the Packets being recieved and sent for me im having some kinda problems sometimes which skyrockets my ping to an unplayable gaming but restarting both router and modem helps for me so if u probably have any other errors call your isp they should check your problems

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-internet-one-one-computer.181594/
Relevancy 17.2%

Today, I bought an External Hard Drive...WD My Book Live 2TB

When transfering all my music and films to it... I noticed I was getting a peak transfer speed of 10 MBps

My BT Infinity Modem can apparently handle up to 1,000 Mbps.

My math tells me that 1,000 / 8 != 10...

What is bottle-necking my speed? How can I fix that?

I am using Ethernet cables to do it all....

It is not the external Hard drive, it has a built in CPU to help with the speeds and remote cloud access...

I noticed this problem in the past but haven't a clue...

A:Slow network transfer

I take it that your NIC is set up to transmit data at 1000Mbps, under the Network Connections properties? (apologies in advance if this is ridiculously obvious! )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-network-transfer.181250/
Relevancy 17.2%

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 because of most of my configs didnt work for some programs and because of computer speed. Before the reinstall I got 1.8mb/sec on downloads, now I get 10-30kb/secs

Any problems?

A:Slow downloading

1st: Check your Ethernet cable, make sure it's terminated on both ends correctly - make sure it's ends are tight and there is nothing physically wrong with it. If it doubt replace it.
2nd: perhaps the network card is failing, swap it or install a pci one & see if there is a difference.

Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-downloading.181224/
Relevancy 17.2%

It's my first time working for a multinational company and the network speed is ridiculous. Max speed I've seen copying from a network drive is 14KB/sec, normally bellow 10KB/sec. How could it possibly be so slow? I know the ISP is at least in the same country

A:Why is the network connection so slow?

The company needs to get someone come in and take a look at the issue. Run a packet sniffer on the network, find out if the routers/switches etc are running optimally.. One piece of bad hardware could mess it up, specially if it's right where the network leaves the company and goes to the ISP.

I would have a professional investigate the issue as it could be a lot more complex then it seems, Could just need to reboot the network completely.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-is-the-network-connection-so-slow.180667/
Relevancy 16.77%

So I left my computer on for a routine virus scan yesterday and when I logged into the issue & timeouts URL-access, latency Slow gaming Star Wars Online game today I noticed huge latency spikes dropping my latency from ish to frequently When I tracert google com my request always seems to timeout after the th hop Code C Dokumente und Einstellungen Imposter gt tracert google com Routenverfolgung zu google com ber maximal Abschnitte lt ms ms lt ms ms ms ms lo br ber de hansenet net ms ms ms ge- - - - pr ber de hansenet net ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms Zeit berschreitung der Anforderung ms ms ms bk-in-f e net Slow URL-access, timeouts & gaming latency issue Ablaufverfolgung beendet Since my computer was online the whole time I didnt change any configuration since then Can anyone point me into the right direction Windows XP SP Provider O Germany Alice Modem Siemens provided by my Provider Router NETGEAR WGR v but connection is wired nbsp

A:Slow URL-access, timeouts & gaming latency issue

Issue with your ISP? Call them and see if they are having any issues, if not, make sure nothing on your computer is using the network heavily (something like Pando Media Booster, it has been known to slow internet connections)

Torrent programs do the same thing, or can.

But otherwise, reset your modem/router, let them sit for 30-45 seconds and start them back up. See if the issue is resolved.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-url-access-timeouts-gaming-latency-issue.180634/
Relevancy 16.77%

When ever I turn on my computer regardless if it's from Sleep Mode or Cold Start, it takes ages to connect to the internet (up to 5 mins sometimes). It says "Identifying" (See Attached pic)

Is this normal for others? I was thinking is the network adapter in sleep mode or something? Maybe that's why it takes a while to connect?

Any ideas appreciated,
Josh.

A:Network adapter slow to connect

My built-in LAN connection typically takes a couple of seconds more or less whenever I cold start my PCs. Maybe you could try updating the driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-adapter-slow-to-connect.180413/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hi I had this system first over yrs Intel Upgraded, still slow PD PD MB GB DDR ram Intel Core ghz E Geforce GTX Upgraded, still slow MB GFX card TB HDD Windows Ultimate At the mid of when I download a video and do something else I would notice a lg in my PC If I am installing a game or program and do something else like try to browse the internet I would notice a significant lag in my pc I know installing a program or game doesn t use that much resources to prevent me from multitasking So I figured it was time for a serious upgrade Jan I now have this Asus P Z -VLE MB Intel Core i LG GB DDR ram Geforce GTX MB GFX card TB HDD Windows Ultimate Now even with this new supposed to be faster and able to handle multitasking system I am still experiencing slow down lags when doing more than one simple thing at a time Downloading installations unzipping watching youtube videos some videos play like in slow motion while others play normal all these act like they are using so much resource if you do more than one of them at a time Can someone tell me what could be the issue s here Thanks nbsp

A:Upgraded, still slow

Did you upgrade the power supply? You don't even mention what it is...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgraded-still-slow.180152/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hello I m trying to help figure out what the problem with my sister s computer is and hoping someone may be able to help me figure it out I have internet service thru at amp t U-verse and I get wireless P755-S5320 connection Satellite with Slow on an average download speed connection of Mbps She s had her laptop for about a month and it was working fine up until about a week Slow wireless connection with Satellite P755-S5320 ago Her connection download speed is now about Mbps and she used to get over Mbps I ve tried running CCleaner run a virus scan using Vipre AntiVirus I ve Checked to make sure she doesn t have a lot of programs that will open on start-up Also checked her Task Manager to see what she has opened when her laptop is on and does not have many programs opened I also cheked to make sure she has the latest drivers Everything looks good so I can t figure out Slow wireless connection with Satellite P755-S5320 why her wireless internet connection has slowed down by more than all of a sudden She has not installed or downloaded anything at all that would be the reason for the problem My desktop has no problems I connect at speeds of Mbps while hers has slowed down Again not long ago her speeds used to be over Mbps Thanks in advance for any help This is the laptop information Toshiba Satellite P -S Windows Home Premium - Slow wireless connection with Satellite P755-S5320 Bit operating system Processor i - M CPU GHz RAM GB Hard Disk Drive GB GB free Wireless Adapter Intel Wifi Link BGN nbsp

A:Slow wireless connection with Satellite P755-S5320

Have you tried connecting her laptop using wired connection and check the speed? The further her laptop is from the access point (your router) the weaker the signal gets so as her download speed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-wireless-connection-with-satellite-p755-s5320.176183/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello guys I m in need of help My computer have been acting weird in games for some time now Whenever i start a game No (lagging Computer 2-4 in every sec) games is choppy times difference in heavy games or light games it runs perfectly fine for - min - Then the horribly annoying lags start It s like it freezes for a millisecond and it does it - times a second I m no computer wiz or good explainer So i ll use pictures instead I know it s from Minecraft but bear with me Notice the redish graph - This shows the freeze lag spikes when i m in game - The graph takes second from start to end The frequency of the lag is the same in all games Damn i m not Computer is choppy in games (lagging 2-4 times every sec) allowed to show links before i ve made posts This is when i m in the menu This is how i believe it normally should be Damn i m not allowed to show links before i ve made posts Now as i said i m no computer wiz but after i ve read countless problems somehow related to mine i know i need to give you more infomation So here we go Asks if you need something else And i hope you can reply in a way that the most retarded Me of people can understand -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Everest results -------- EVEREST Home Edition c - Lavalys Inc ------------------------------------------------------------ Version EVEREST v Homepage Report Type Report Wizard Computer WIN-KGM VBBVS V Generator Administrator Operating System Windows Ultimate Media Center Edition Date - - Time -------- Summary ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer Operating System Windows Ultimate Media Center Edition OS Service Pack - DirectX DirectX c Computer Name WIN-KGM VBBVS V User Name Administrator Motherboard CPU Type x MHz Motherboard Name Unknown Motherboard Chipset Unknown System Memory MB BIOS Type Unknown Communication Port Communications Port COM Display Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD Series Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD Series Monitor Generic PnP Monitor NoDB A LMQS Multimedia Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller NoDB Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller NoDB Storage IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD IJ ATA Device GB IDE Disk Drive Samsung S Portable USB Device GB USB Optical Drive DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device SMART Hard Disks Status OK Partitions C NTFS MB MB free D NTFS MB MB free G NTFS MB MB free Total Size GB GB free Input Keyboard HID Keyboard Device Mouse HID-compliant mouse Network Network Adapter Hamachi Network Interface Network Adapter Realtek RTL D D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC NDIS Peripherals USB Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller NoDB USB Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller NoDB USB Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller NoDB USB Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller NoDB USB Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller NoDB USB Controller Universal Serial Bus USB Controller NoDB USB Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller NoDB USB Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller NoDB USB Device USB Composite Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Mass Storage Device ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hijack this results Hogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C Program Files x AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files x IObit Game Booster GameBooster exe C Program Files x IObit Game Booster gbtray exe C Program Files x Mozilla... Read more

A:Computer is choppy in games (lagging 2-4 times every sec)

Hi. I'm not sure, but perhaps a run down of your system specs would be helpful? I mean the hardware stuff: CPU, board, graphics card.

Does your rig "act weird" when you use other applications? Also, have you checked your CPU and GPU temps?

EDIT: Oops, sorry, I see you've got a Radeon 5700 and a dual core.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-is-choppy-in-games-lagging-2-4-times-every-sec.178696/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hello all,

I just finished wiping a friends laptop with a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP3. A couple days later I went to use it after it installed Microsoft Office 2007 Pro Plus. IT was extremely slow afterwards. Extremely slow means it took 15 minutes just to pull up the Start Menu. I removed all traces of Office and it was still slow so I did a clean install on Windows Vista (Which it shipped with) however the install itself is taking ages as well... Can anyone tell me what has happened??? I am at a loss and I just want this thing to start working again. I have also tried resetting the BIOS back to default settings and still nothing!

A:Dell Inspiron 1525 very slow

Could be a simple hardware problem..make sure everything in bios is reading correctly (amount of ram, CPU clock speed, etc).
a fam member had a 1525, and it died spectaculary. Maybe they just arent good laptops.
If its not the above, IDK. new OS would be first suggestion, but apparently you did that already.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1525-very-slow.179004/
Relevancy 17.2%

My specs are:

8GB System RAM
I play at 1920x1080 resolution!
AMD Quad-Core 2.4GHz rated at:
ATi Radeon HD 6550D (D is for Desktop graphics, f*ck laptops.)
1TB HDD
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

I thought of downgrading to Windows XP. Should I? (Pirated) and please realize in GTA IV, under "Display" my available video ram is 489... wow. WTF, I haz 4GB's that is must not be interpreting. I so hope GTA 5 Isn't this much of a disaster!

Um, anything else I should add? According to "Canyourunit.com" I'm BEAT recommended, but I only get 1-10 FPS. Please help me?

A:GTA IV runs slow, but I have a powerful rig?

Sorry to break it to you, but, no you don't (have a powerful rig)...at least by GTA standards.

Firstly; All the GTA series are CPU clockspeed sensitive. 3.4GHz I would consider "entry level" for the most part, and anything above this would definitely be better.

Secondly; Your graphics card....basically NO, unless you're turning down the graphics options (esp. draw distance) way, way down and using a low screen resolution. Personally I'd place as much faith in "canyourunit" as I would in used car salesmen. You can try YouGamers but this is also going to be very optimistic

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gta-iv-runs-slow-but-i-have-a-powerful-rig.177615/
Relevancy 16.77%

My MoBo is only years old Gigabyte MA so speeds SATA3 on (SSD write my Why slow? card) are GS-DS H PCIe AHCI Phenom II X cpu but only has Sata- ports I bought a Corsair Force GT gb SSD drive last November and wanted to take full advantage of its speed so I bought a PCIe x Sata- card ASMedia ASM which arrived yesterday I ran ATTO before Why are my write speeds so slow? (SSD on SATA3 card) and after so I d be able to see if there was any Why are my write speeds so slow? (SSD on SATA3 card) difference in performance With the GT plugged into the MoBo s sata- port- http www outlawwebdesigns com images My ATTO sata results jpg Plugged into the sata- card with the MoBo AHCI Why are my write speeds so slow? (SSD on SATA3 card) mode DISABLED the card has its own AHCI mode http www outlawwebdesigns com images My ATTO sata ide-results jpg With AHCI mode on the MoBo enabled http www outlawwebdesigns com images My ATTO sata ahci-results jpg My reads speeds with the card are great increase but my write speeds fell through the floor down as much as Any idea why Help Thx nbsp

A:Why are my write speeds so slow? (SSD on SATA3 card)

Have you checked the sata port you used is the motherboard's or the AMD chip that is?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-are-my-write-speeds-so-slow-ssd-on-sata3-card.176437/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hello. I just bought a Radeon HD 6870 from visiontek and after i uninstalled my old drivers and installed the new card i reset my pc and the performance of my pc slowed down so much i can barely start IE just to type this. i have seen other posts about the problem might be caused by my psu but so far none of them have helped.

These are my specs tell me if you need some more info

Motherboard ASUS M4A77TD
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 955
2 X 2GB Ram
Xion High Performance 700 Watt PSU
+12V1 25A

Also I'm not sure if this may be the problem but the PSU has a 6+2 pin that splits into a 6+2 pin I'm using both of those to power the card.

A:New GPU, PC running very slow

I'd try a friends reliable power supply and see if that helps.

You didn't say that you downloaded the most current driver from AMD. If you haven't done that already I'd make that my first priority.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-gpu-pc-running-very-slow.176295/
Relevancy 23.22%

My wife has an Evo app Yahoo Mail Shift photos w/ Opening 1.3.8 and 1.3.6 Evo on shift and recently it stopped opening photos that are attached to emails sent Opening photos on Evo Shift w/ Yahoo Mail app 1.3.6 and 1.3.8 to her Yahoo acct She has the Yahoo Mail app and she s experiencing the problem on and It s supposed to work like this Opening photos on Evo Shift w/ Yahoo Mail app 1.3.6 and 1.3.8 You tap on the attachment and it opens up another small screen that says quot loading quot and it counts up and then obviously when it reaches the photo opens Her phone does this You tap on the attachment and the quot loading quot screen immediately closes and nothing happens What I ve tried I ve tried uninstalling the app multiple times by going to Settings gt Applications gt Manage Applications Clearing the data by going to Settings gt Applications gt Manage Applications gt Clear Data Reinstalling the app new from the Market I have tried it from my Evo D and it works fine Next step for me is to try doing a hard reset on the phone and taking it back to factory but I thought I d reach out to see if anybody had any other ideas other than what I ve tried Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/opening-photos-on-evo-shift-w-yahoo-mail-app-1-3-6-and-1-3-8.175150/
Relevancy 17.2%

My laptop is running very slow. The Intel Processor identification utility reports the following:

expected speed 1.83ghz, both cores are reported at 0.09ghz, the system bus is expected at 667mhz, both cores are reporting 65 mhz. The task manager is only reporting on one core. How can I fix this or is it time for a burial ceremony?

A:Slow processor

how about you attach a screenshot of CPU-z

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-processor.174625/
Relevancy 16.77%

Got a new computer from TigerDirect.com- an Acer Aspire 5250-BZ853 with 2GB RAM stock.
The website offered to add 4GB of RAM to the laptop for about 50 bucks so we went ahead and did that. However, when I got the laptop, it definitely doesn't run as fast as a laptop with 6GB Ram. I have run multiple tests and have confirmed that the RAM is installed properly, as system scans show that I have 5-6 GB of usable RAM available at any given time.

Running Windows 7 with the following system specs-
AMD Dual Core Processor E-350
AMD Radeon HD 6310 (graphics card?)
2 GB DDR3 Memory
320 GB HDD

Is the problem with the memory? Maybe I installed the wrong type? Not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Acer Aspire 5250 laptop slow after adding 4GB RAM

Windows 7 32 bit, or 64 bit? Does all the memory show up?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-aspire-5250-laptop-slow-after-adding-4gb-ram.174580/
Relevancy 17.2%

Toshiba Satellite M65 S809 - Win XP (I'm not a computer expert by any stretch of the imagination, but need help)

Audio sounds like it running at half speed sometimes, this happen with all audio (CD, TV YouTube, etc)

I've updated drivers, still the same.

Appreciate any and all help

A:Audio problems (very slow)

Would it be safe to 'uninstall' audio via CMD (devmgt.msc)shutdown > and then ''update' audio via CMD?

Thought process (ChemE not an IT guy) is that if one of the files is corrupted this may fix it.

Thanks for your time and patience ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/audio-problems-very-slow.174398/
Relevancy 16.34%

All of the sudden my computer took twice as long to start up and my sound skips and is stretched everything is very slow my What started suddenly dell slow, this? gx520 My (pics) optiplex running doing is mouse skips as well and before no matter what I was doing no matter what I was downloading or playing games my mouse never freezes I had the free Norton that comes with comcast and after the sluggishness I downloaded malwarebytes and got AVG internet security And they did clean some viruses out But it still runs slow I updated all of my drivers I deleted almost all of my programs The only antivirus I have running is AVG and AVG PC tuneup which tuned up and fixed problems But STILL NO FIX Plus I re-installed all of my codecs and divx and everything possible updated my My dell optiplex gx520 suddenly started running slow, What is doing this? (pics) drivers with two different driver updaters Its either the drivers could be codecs or something happened to my power supply My dell optiplex gx520 suddenly started running slow, What is doing this? (pics) look at this info on my computer and tell me if something is wrong sorry you ll have to copy paste the links for the pictures i tinypic com mortw jpg i tinypic com swahit jpg i tinypic com wtfxb jpg MUCH appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-optiplex-gx520-suddenly-started-running-slow-what-is-doing-this-pics.174092/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hmm? I really tempted to buy this 70$ ssd.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic173906.html

nvm that deal is expired

A:Will an SSD improve gaming on a 8ms response time monitor?

As far as I understand it, an SSD will only provide a slight improvement in loading times for games, because of the faster disk access times over traditional mechanical disks coupled with the higher read/write speeds.

The difference is not as pronounced with gaming as it is for the overall improvement it makes to Windows. I do recall seeing comparisons before (probably on here) and the difference in loading of games between levels was around 2-3 seconds in most cases. For Windows in general, it totally transforms the user experience.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-an-ssd-improve-gaming-on-a-8ms-response-time-monitor.173964/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hi guys I am almost New machine! slow percent positive there was a better section for this post however i didn t wanna get flamed for actually posting in New slow machine! the WRONG section so i just posted it here Maybe yall can help me out I recently sold a parts car i had and got a sum of money along with what i was told was a gaming rig Now i ve looked up the parts which i detailed below and they are far from top spec lol thing is i m still new to the hardware side and am not sure what these parts SHOULD actually be capable of the guy keeps saying that the machine should be pretty fast and that i must be missing some drivers I tried installing ATI catalyst to fix some graphics problems i ve been having where my computer simply will not load certain games like black prophecy online That didn t seem to do much So maybe one of you who is more techy than me can help me out Here is what the software i use says is in my pc lol Motherboard TA XE Video Card ATI Radeon X driver date - - MB RAM g DDR CPU AMD Athelon II X MHz Dual-Core x Also I should mention that when i got it i installed a custom version of windows os I use the eternity edition installer So even though my computer says i have all my drivers it is entirely possible i missed something As for a little more detail about what the problem actually is it s just very slow Usually it s slowest when actually opening up an application Once it s running everything seems fine usually My guess and yall can tell me if i m wrong is that I need more RAM nbsp

A:New slow machine!

It probably was a gaming machine a few years ago, but its not going to be playing current games well. Still should be more than adequate for everything else though.

You are on the right track with more RAM. I'd try to get that to at least 4 (you won't be able to use all 4 with a 32bit Win 7 though), be careful about going higher than 4 - will need to check if your motherboard supports more than 4.

I debated about removing the eternity edition portion of your post, but I've decided to let it stay. We won't help much/at all with "pirated" versions of Windows. Maybe you have a legit key and used it with that customized version Anyway, just in the sense of 'piece of mind' I would recommend using a legit install of Windows 7 and then manually doing all the things you like about that version. I found this video of a guy reviewing it, and he provided a link to another vid where he tells you what registry edits were done (and I assume explains them). This will ensure you get what you want without the risk of having downloaded something that someone else slipped something bad into..

What games were you hoping to play? That CPU isn't super good by today's standards, but the good news (in this case) is a lot of games are getting pretty GPU dependent so you can still get by on some older CPUs if you have a good GPU. So you could upgrade your GPU pretty easily, and depending on what games and what resolution you were wanting to play, the chances of getting to what you want on your budget run from excellent to impossible.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-slow-machine.173460/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi I tried this post in the laptop forum with no reply I been working at a new job for a few months now and use a Dell Precision laptop While I m at the office it s connected to the company not network laptop Slow to connected when network via a wired connection with no issues except loading internet pages can either take minutes if it loads at all Sometimes the pages will load up with no issues It doesn t matter which site I go to either I was having a virus malware problem a few weeks ago and the guys in the malware forum helped me through that and it works fine now What I ve noticed is that when I use the laptop at home it runs painfully slow It could take minutes to open Explorer or even open a Slow laptop when not connected to network folder in explorer Starting programs takes way too long as well Internet pages also load inconsistantly like at work I m connected to a wireless network at home I m guessing there is a network setting or something that s causing this but I don t know what it could be Any suggestions would be great nbsp

A:Slow laptop when not connected to network

investigate hard-coded DNS settings - - you should have only dynamic values for IP and DNS.

View network connections-->right click on Local Area Connection-->properties
Scroll to TCP/IP and select it. Click Properties
Make sure both (*) Obtain ... Automatically buttons are checked.
Click the Alternative Tab
Again (*) Automatic
click OK, click Close

Disconnect from your router and then reconnect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-laptop-when-not-connected-to-network.171721/
Relevancy 17.2%

I am quite fed up from my semi new HDD working quite slow. I have bought it early 2011 for around 45 inc everything. THe make is

Hitachy HDS721010CLA332 7.2k RPM 32Mb Cache

During HD TUNE PRO Benchmark I get 8.6MB/s read on maximum and 0.7MB/s on minimum. That said this HDD is my main boot disk.

When I test my Samsung F3 (backup drive, i know i did it the wrong way around... should of been my main..) I get around 141.5MB/s read and 107.9MB/s minimum which is hell of a lot faster!

Any thoughts? I can't test the write speed with HD TUNE PRO since it requires clean partition or something ...

Could this be due to my FSB being 230 (so HT is 2300) from default 200? I doubt it though.

A:HDD working too slow?

Check out device manager and the drive's properties through that. It should be Ultra DMA or something, it sounds like yours could be in PIO mode. I'd check the specifics, but I'm not near a Windows machine right now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-working-too-slow.171414/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi all,

I have been checking some stats of my computer to run some of the new games, and to my surprise I have found that although 4 x 1024mb sticks have been installed in the computer only 3338mb's show up. I am using Win XP. I was expecting for 4gb to be present.

So is there a windows program that will allow me to test each ram stick without me having to go in to the computer pulling them out individually?

Thanks in advance.

A:Programs to check bad mem sticks?

Because XP is a 32-bit operating system it can only recognize and utilize 3.25 gigs of RAM. It takes a 64-bit operating system lo to recognize and utilize a full 4 gigs of memory or more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-to-check-bad-mem-sticks.171403/
Relevancy 25.37%

First off this is my first time posting on these boards If this is the wrong location for this please move this My rig win xp sp intel core duo ghz part upgraded Crucial gb ddr ram nForce i sli mobo part upgraded W PSU Problem After changing out the mobo and cpu sorry I m unsure exactly what it was before install and loading times for games are a lot slower then they where before We are talking min install times becoming hour waits This is not just limited to only one program game The programs do install properly after they install and games run fine after the long load times At first I believed it was because I run everything on my external hard drive but that is not the case I tried running stuff on the internal one and the problem was the same What I have done so far Updated all drivers Checked to see if all previous hardware is compatible Checked to see if cores are working properly Loaded quot optimized settings quot in bios Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Long install/loading times after Core 2 Duo/mobo(nForce 750i SLI) upgrade

Did you re-install XP fresh after the upgrades?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/long-install-loading-times-after-core-2-duo-mobo-nforce-750i-sli-upgrade.171331/
Relevancy 20.21%

The warranty on my computer is about to go and I ve been having so many issues with it that it s not worth even trying to call customer support to try to get them to fix it I had to programs lose Want don't computer to want upgrade, replace the motherboard and power supply like months ago for the THIRD time I even put in a new heatsink and cooling fans this time and I m having the same issues all over Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs again If I Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs build a new computer is there a way that I can just transfer Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs the hard drive so I keep my system intact I have all my files backed up on external drives but there s a few programs and software plugins that I can t get again Somewhere in moving I ve moved like three times in the last year I ve lost the discs and can t afford to re-buy the software and I need them for audio and computer graphics work nbsp

A:Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs

When booting for the first time your old HDD on a new system, try booting in Safe Mode first. Most of the time this will work, then boot in normal mode.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-computer-upgrade-dont-want-to-lose-programs.169953/
Relevancy 22.36%

Here s an imaginary situation For curiosities sake two independent motherboards are present in a case installed in such accessed different by Can if one be accessed HDD times? two at motherboards a way that only one could be on at a time Let s say that one motherboard is an intel chip with hardware configured to run windows and let s say that the other is an apple motherboard configured for OS X Lion And there is a three way switch on the case giving power to only one board at a time If the motherboards were both run to one hard drive could both motherboards access the hard Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times? drive and function normally so long only one of them was on at a time I am assuming that they would be able to the board Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times? set up for windows would search Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times? the drive for its partition and read and write to it and the board set up for mac would search for its partition and read and write to it And before things get nuts yes I know that you don t need to do this and that you can dual boot mac windows blah blah blah I am just curious as to whether or not it is possible If you have to know why I ask I am considering a mod to put an xbox mobo and a ps slim mobo into an xbox case in with a micro atx psu and a hdd the case mod being a homage to phantom crash and slai the setup would only run these two games off the hdd nbsp

A:Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times?

In theory, if the power to the HDD also switches to the corresponding motherboard, yeah it should be possible. (see EDIT below)

But this switching-idea must also be applied to the data cable running to the HDD. The cable must not be connected to both motherboards at the same time, that would cause internal confusion.

But in theory, a multi-port power switch could do the job, sure.

EDIT:
Keep in mind, for your splendid idea: you need (at least) two separate partitions on the HDD, one formatted in FATX, and one formatted in (whatever format the PS2 uses). It is possible to format two different partitions on a drive in different formats, but it is tricky.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-one-hdd-be-accessed-by-two-motherboards-if-accessed-at-different-times.169091/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hey all I kinda have this weird problem on my Dell. Whenever it boots up and reaches login screen and I type my password, windows doesn't seem to respond immediately. I type in my password and press enter and nothing happens. Only after a couple of seconds does windows login. I'm currently on windows 7 64bit and I've fully updated the software. I've also tried the registry edit thing that many websites have recommended but my problem still seems to persist.

Here is the laptop model and specs, by the way, this laptop was bought at my college IT fair.

Dell Vostro V3350

Intel i7-2620M
Intel Mobile HM67 Express Chipset
4Gb 1333 DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6470 512mb

Thanks in advance for your time!

A:Laptop slow login

First, stay away from registry editors/fixers. We have found here at TechSpot that they cause problems with little to no "fixing."

Set your laptop to a restore point prior to when this issue started. Or better yet, can your college IT department look it over for you?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-slow-login.168689/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hey guys Today I tried to install a new RAM card into my old PC I took out the older two modules and put in two new from another computer I don t use RAM modules into the motherboard At first I had trouble trying to insert the RAM and realized I did incorrectly however it took me a while to notice this and I may have used to much force trying to insert the Reseatted from no monitor followed with RAM response modules and may have damaged something The problem that I have is when I turn on the computer the monitor Reseatted RAM followed with no response from monitor does not detect an signal I m Reseatted RAM followed with no response from monitor sure there is nothing wrong with the monitor as I checked it with my lap top I have tried using the computer I used and it still does not work it may just be broken most likely I have tried reseatting the RAM but that s about it I have tried swapping around every possible combination of the RAM modules even back to the preliminary set up and the monitor still won t respond Hopefully when I turn it on tomorrow in the morning this won t be a problem Thanks guys John nbsp

A:Reseatted RAM followed with no response from monitor

The answer here is that the motherboard may now be damaged.
But it's worth trying a few things.
Did the pc work before you changed the RAM?
RAM taken from another machine may not work in another, even if it's good, working RAM.
Are both of your PC's using the same type of RAM, ie DDR2 or DDR or earlier?
RAM sticks are made with certain designs of 'keyways' along the gold edge connector, so that the wrong type cannot be fitted.
Do you think the RAM boards went into the sockets fully and the clips at the ends went into place?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reseatted-ram-followed-with-no-response-from-monitor.168424/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hello I Dimension slow 2350 running Dell know this Dell is rather old but it is all I have for use until I have saved for a new laptop Dell Dimension 2350 running slow My problem with it is that it is very slow It has a GHz Intel Celeron CPU and MB of RAM and it runs Windows XP Home Edition but when I attempt to browse the web via Google Chrome or Firefox or any browser it s really slow Trying to load a video on YouTube on this thing is pretty much impossible I assumed this was just normal behaviour for a machine this old but I was told by a friend that MB should be more than enough to run Windows XP without it being this slow I constantly get the quot virtual memory minimum too low quot message while trying to visit Twitter or Facebook or even when checking my mail I ve just tried increasing the virtual memory and I will check if that has made any difference but I d just like to know if there s anything else that can be done to improve this machine s performance Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 2350 running slow

here are things I do to maintain my computer at its top potential:
1. update OS
2. update antivirus definition and regular scanning with antivirus and antimalware will help.
3. update device driver.
4. HDD check - chkdsk /r

hope it helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-2350-running-slow.160796/
Relevancy 16.34%

DMA is enabled...

The sound is synced to the voices, but the music seems to be playing slowly. Like in slow motion.

Have tried playing with several different audio players... VLC (VLC default codecs) and k-lite codecs as well...

Any suggestions?

Thanks much..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/voices-fine-but-music-playing-in-slow-motion-during-dvd-playback.167687/
Relevancy 16.77%

I have 3 Sata hdd's; two 160gb and one 1.5TB. Windows 7 is on one of the 160gb, 1.5TB is used purely for games storage anf the other 160gb is used for file storage.

After starting up, whenever I click on Games it takes a while to show all the icons; once it has done it once then it will show the icons immediately every time.

Is there a way of getting it to show the icons immediately first time around? It is not a major problem, more of an irritation, but I would like to know if it can be fixed.

I have no problems with my other hdd's and antivirus and malware all updated and checked for virus's and spyware.

Any help is much appreciated

My Pc is...
Asus P5P41D
Quadcore running at 3.06
4gb of ram
Radeon 5800 2gb
Audigy 4
Corsair 850watt PSU

A:Windows Explorer is slow on D: drive

disciple said:

After starting up, whenever I click on Games it takes a while to show all the icons; once it has done it once then it will show the icons immediately every time.Click to expand...

It seems it slows down while querying the filesystem to create a database of icons of files in the path.
It may be an heavy task if there are large images, video, or executables that must be queried for creating icons.
IMHO you could try changing the icon mode of the file explorer, or trying to create subfolders in order to identify if there are troublesome files that slow down the icon rendering more than others.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-explorer-is-slow-on-d-drive.166350/
Relevancy 28.81%

My CPU usage is constantly really high, even when I'm doing nothing demanding. Furthermore, it's erratic; for example, where I began typing in this thread, my CPU was at 97% and then all of a sudden drop down to 10% and then back up to 90% etc. I even ran it in safe mode - where it was barley running any processes - and it was going up to 98%. (I'd post a link but I haven't accumulated 5 posts)

Thank you.

A:Extremely high CPU usage

What make and model laptop is this? What version of Windows are you running?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extremely-high-cpu-usage.166136/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hi there,
We have a WD NAS set up at work and has been working great until recently when I tried upgrading the Firmware. Access rate used to be over 30MB/s on a Gigabit network and has now dropped down to 5MB/s. Support with WD has been great up to this point, but now we're at the point where neither of us can figure out what happened. Over a remote connection, WD has rolled back the driver as far back as their database allows (this has been done in stages with a few versions in between to help root out a problem). Nothing has helped. Would anyone be familiar with this situation to tell what has caused this to happen? All workstations which is a mix of XP up to Windows 7 pro have the same result.

A:Slow access rate on NAS

get a screenshot on a Win/7 which shows the devices and the router.
Post that as an image you upload to the gallery or some other service
eg ImageShack.com

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-access-rate-on-nas.165045/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hi all I thinking about purchasing the i k as a replacement for PC motherboard a down? Can slow a aging e core duo I am going to reuse my case PSU graphics card etc When I play Mass Effect the Processor usage is maxed out The game stutters a lot of the time as a result I also have Dawn of war II GTA IV and Dragon Age The CPU seems to working flat out with all of these games Anyway my question is how important is a motherboard Will a cheaper motherboard hamper gaming performance I plan to buy Can a motherboard slow a PC down? a faster graphics card next year to replace my ATI The Intel media series is cheaper then the extreme series I d like to be able to overclock in the future when the processor is slowing games down and maximise its useful life I won t be overclocking initially as the processor should be Can a motherboard slow a PC down? fast enough I d prefer to buy an Intel Board but the Asus series seem to be alright too Advice greatly appreciated Thank You nbsp

A:Can a motherboard slow a PC down?

The price of a motherboard is generally dependant on the features it incorporates. As long as the motherboard supports your future plans well, there won't be an issue.

If you're running the hardware at default levels (e.g. not overclocking) there shouldn't be any noticable difference in performance, but when it comes to overclocking different motherboards can make a huge difference.

A few questions I would ask myself are:

1. How many optical discs and hard disks do I have?
2. Can I see those increasing, if so, do I have spare SATA connectors for that?
3. Do I ever plan to CF or SLI and make use of more than one graphics card?
4. Do I have enough PCI-EX1 and PCI slots on the motherboard once the graphics card is fitted? (Do you use a sound card, or tv tuner, or other card in your current system you'd like ot keep for example?
5. Is the maximum supported RAM capacity enough?
6. What do you reviews say about overclocking potential for example?

Also check out the 5 way shootout we did on LGA1155 "Sandy Bridge" motherboards recently, by clicking here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-a-motherboard-slow-a-pc-down.164591/
Relevancy 16.77%

Okay so I don't know too much about laptops, and I am wondering if anyone can help me out? My Inpiron 1501 laptop keeps shutting off on it's own, and I can not figure out why for the life of me. This computer is also very, very slow. What can I do to fix this???

A:My Inspiron laptop keeps turning off for no reason and is very slow

What is the condition of the battery? How old is the laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-inspiron-laptop-keeps-turning-off-for-no-reason-and-is-very-slow.163061/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a ati Radeon HD 4650 AGP card and i have the latest driver but its not reading out the temperature(it always says 0 Celsius). So i was wondering if anyone knows any good programs that tell you your graphics card temperature? I have Everest Home Edition which gives the temperature of my cpu, and motherboard but not my gpu. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

A:Video card temp programs

gpu-z

Try gpu-z. Lightweight utility with all the information you need on your gpu.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-temp-programs.163463/
Relevancy 16.77%

Typing from Safe Mode My machine Asus G Jh laptop Windows -bit Home Premium SP ATI Mobility Radeon HD Intel Core i Q GHz GB RAM TB hard drive but usage Suddenly slow normal mem pre-partitioned into segments of those with about free and one nearly full not the one with the Windows etc files In a nutshell my machine only operates normally for - minutes before things rapidly slow down eventually to the point of unusability Even then my CPU usage is only and memory usage mostly from the open IE window Here s what happened and it makes no sense I usually shut off my comp at night so my scheduled am deep Suddenly slow but normal mem usage virus scan from my Viper anti-virus doesn t happen I ve had the program for a year now and have been very satisfied One night I left my computer on and in the morning discovered that the scan had apparently frozen midway and although my system wasn t technically quot frozen quot it was unusably slow I was forced to shut down the computer by holding the power button A week later yesterday I decide to try a deep virus scan again I bring up a full screen game to pass the time After a couple hours I notice my game is running slow and that my machine is a bit warm I exit and find that Viper is attempting to update itself midway through the scan even though I already saw it update when I first opened it My entire machine was terribly slow so for all intents and purposes I couldn t open or do anything else After a few minutes of no improvement I again had to shut Suddenly slow but normal mem usage down my computer by holding the power button Note that s something I almost never have to do It s a very well-behaved computer usually When I restarted I was presented with the problem I currently have after a couple of minutes everything suddenly takes - seconds to open or perform an action Soon things essentially freeze unless you are very careful only open one window and take it slow although even then things turn south eventually The end stage is when things are officially Not Responding and after - minutes of being in that state shut themselves down According to Task Manager no program is eating up all the memory or CPU As I said it reports only CPU usage and memory usage mostly by IE I was able to Google all the exe s in the Task Manager and everything SEEMS to belong In safe mode I ran a normal not deep scan with Viper which turned up nothing but some standard cookies I installed AVG Free and Malwarebytes Free and ran them both deep scan in safe mode and they both turned up exactly zero problems I used a recovery point to restore my system to a point several hours before I attempted the scan-of-doom and the problem did not go away I ran a CHKDSK myself and nothing seemed amiss If it helps my computer seems unusually warm just running in safe mode although not alarmingly so and the fan always seems to be running at max even when the temp seems fine to me I m totally stumped and would rather not send my machine away to Best Buy for a month I d really really appreciate any help or suggestions nbsp

A:Suddenly slow but normal mem usage

You may have a blocked or damaged cooling tube. I jsut replaced one on an HP nc6400.
to see if you are overheating try speedfan, you can find it at:
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suddenly-slow-but-normal-mem-usage.163115/