Windows Support Forum

Windows Upgrade/Downgrade with a broken CD slot

Q: Windows Upgrade/Downgrade with a broken CD slot

Hi guys,

My DVD drive is broken beyond repair, and I've forgotten my USB at home.

I have the installation saved on my desktop, but it won't let me downgrade unless its a reboot. Does anyone have a good multiboot program that will let me install XP on my computer?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows Upgrade/Downgrade with a broken CD slot

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows Upgrade/Downgrade with a broken CD slot

Can I ask why you're posting in a Vista forum even though the problem is germain to any operating system?

You can multiboot in Vista and Win 7 as long as you install XP on a separate partition. Have you considered installing XP in Virtual XP which is available for Win 7 ultimate. Then you wouldn't need your drive.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/297453-windows-upgrade-downgrade-broken-cd-slot.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Title basically says it all I used to be using Windows and I upgraded for free After using windows for a week i got a blue screen that said quot bad system config info quot and restarting does not fix it It is stuck on the blue screen after restarting So i was thinking I could use the option on the blue screen that it gives me to downgrade to previous version but I would still like to use windows So if I downgrade could I then upgrade again for free I am still within my days to downgrade Any help would be greatly appreciated If you have any other solution downgrade then windows for you and upgrade again? to free upgrade back 10, Can 8.1, windows to to this blue screen that would allow me to stay on windows and keep all of my files and apps that would be even better Thank you The initial error that came Can you upgrade for free to windows 10, downgrade back to windows 8.1, and then upgrade again? up while I was using my PC like normal Options quot Continue quot and quot turn off PC quot just take me back to this Options Under quot troubleshoot quot option that was shown above I ve tried a system restore but Can you upgrade for free to windows 10, downgrade back to windows 8.1, and then upgrade again? it does not work I have no quot system image recovery quot so doesn t work Start up repair doesn t work So quot go back to previous build quot is my last resort which is the reason for my question in the first place I would like to downgrade then upgrade back to windows but not sure if i can nbsp

A:Can you upgrade for free to windows 10, downgrade back to windows 8.1, and then upgrade again?

Yes, I believe you can. Windows 10 is free for at least the first year from release.
You can still get the Windows 10 ISO downloade and be able to upgrade using that instead of the downloaded installation files too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-you-upgrade-for-free-to-windows-10-downgrade-back-to-windows-8-1-and-then-upgrade-again.1153689/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi there I downgrade 7 upgrade vista to to or Windows XP? m sorting out a Christmas present to my step dad who has been very good to me this year and i Windows vista upgrade to 7 or downgrade to XP? m running up against some problems He has a windows vista PC that is causing him no end of problems Viruses everywhere problems with certain functions etc so i said i d sit down over christmas and completely wipe everything for him and start again I m going to back up everything onto my external HDD I will scan the contents with malwarebytes and AVG Will this be good enough to make sure i m not reinfecting his machine with his personal files The next step is to reformat the drive and delete everything This should get rid of any virus i hope Unless there is something in the master boot record right Is there a way I can check this Finally Windows vista upgrade to 7 or downgrade to XP? my last question is which OS to put on the system Vista is pretty terrible i think and would be the last resort XP is great and i have a Boot CD for my laptop that i can use Would this be possible windows could work but as a pretty poor student i cant afford the price tag But i might be able to get hold of a copy form someone although again i m not sure if this will work Dont really want to use an illegal OS as im sure the downsides are pretty big like no windows updates So to summarise will AVG and malwarebytes make sure his personal files arent infected how can i check the MBR is virus free which windows would be best to reinstall Thanks for all your help James

A:Windows vista upgrade to 7 or downgrade to XP?

If you format, you don't have to worry about MBR.Vista is pretty terribleOn infected computer, any OS will be terrible.Dont really want to use an illegal OSNo, you don't.There is no reason for going back to XP, 2 years old operating system.If you can't afford buying Windows 7, formatting and reinstalling Vista will do just fine.will AVG and malwarebytes make sure his personal files arent infected?No security program will do, if the user doesn't play responsibly.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/365044/windows-vista-upgrade-to-7-or-downgrade-to-xp/
Relevancy 61.06%

I was using windows 10 home genuine. Then came the Windows Anniversary Upgrade and I did. After 2-3 days my apps didn't start , my store won't open , and start menu does not open . So i tried everything that i can get from online and but nothing worked.
So i decided to downgrade my windows 10 to previous build and then the process of downgrading started and it done well " i think so" and and during restart the log on page does not seems to open . There is only a blue page with a round dots like windows does before starting . But nothing appears after this much .

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434900-my-windows-10-does-not-boot-after-downgrade-anniversary-upgrade.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I have On my Laptop Windows XP Home Edition I Boycott Upgrade/Downgrade Do How errors? Windows My How Do I Boycott Windows Upgrade/Downgrade errors? computer has recently become clogged in spyware and viruses and have not been removed by diffrent anti-virus programs causing my laptop to work incredibly slowly unch I have now got a Windows XP Professional Edition CD which i have tried to install but i get the classic quot Windows Installation cannot continue as the operating system you are trying to install is older than the version on your computer quot message words to that extent And i would like to know how can i bypass this error and put Windows Professional Edition on my laptop to replace Home Edition A friend of mine said something about Booting off the CD in the BIOS menu but that went in one ear out the other If someone could explain how i could do it then please let me know i would be very grateful - Adam MercuryDisco co uk AIM AOL MercuryDisco Thanks Adam zzz nbsp

A:How Do I Boycott Windows Upgrade/Downgrade errors?

You need to create a new XP-Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-boycott-windows-upgrade-downgrade-errors.40526/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi One day my pc works fine next day there s no more video output Monitor doesn t receive any signal I put my video card in another pc hdd broken? slot AGP RAM all loose hardware in the pci slots capture AGP slot broken? card sound card extra network card They all work fine in my other box In my working box the fan on the video card starts but in the other box it doesn t If I turn on the pc without videocard in the AGP slot it looks like the pc just boots HDD starts spinning and I think windows just boots normally Just without video signal My guess the AGP slot if that s what I put the videocard in doesn t work anymore I think that if this is the case it can be solved by getting a pci videocard if they exist or getting a new motherboard Or might there be an easier solution How do I know for sure that the AGP slot causes problems Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for my English Thanks in advance nbsp

A:AGP slot broken?

Might be the power supply, coz if the fan isn't starting, then the card is not receiving enough power. Have u recently added any components? Also, could u post ur complete specs?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/agp-slot-broken.56134/
Relevancy 59.77%

The back RAM slot in my computer is broken, this is annoying because I thought that this was a gaming PC. As a result Windows 10 doesn't run smoothly and the task manager is reporting only 1 slot ("Slots used: 1 of 1", should say "Slots used: 2 of 2")

A:RAM slot broken. Halving available RAM from 8GB to 4GB

Hardly a gaming PC it has onboard integrated video. How did the RAM slot come to be in a broken state?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/RAM-slot-broken-Halving-available-RAM-from-8GB-to-4GB/td-p/5641260
Relevancy 59.77%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Professional bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ECS Alhena Antivirus AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition Updated and Enabled Hi I m having a strange problem with this motherboard http h www hp com bizsupport TechSupport Document jsp lang en amp cc us amp objectID c I currently have gb of RAM but decided that to be able to run more memory intensive programs I would buy another gb of RAM The spec says the motherboard can hold gb of RAM I put the new gb of RAM RAM Broken Solved: slot? that Solved: Broken RAM slot? is the same speed DDR and all that But when I started the computer Solved: Broken RAM slot? there was a short beep followed by a long beep I thought the new RAM might have been faulty so I tried it on its own and it worked perfect I then put the RAM into the second slot which I think is faulty and the same beep sequence happened and the computer wouldn t start Could this be because of a faulty slot Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

So recently my colleague tried to upgrade the RAM in his laptop, but he ended up messing up really bad he actually broke the only memory slot on the motherboard (yikes!). He asked me to take a look at it for him, and I was pretty surprised how badly he had messed it up (as in there's no way it could be fixed). I told him he might have to replace the entire motherboard, but he really can't afford that right now. I let him know that might be his only option, but I decided to ask here before giving up. The rest of the motherboard is fine; only the memory slot is broken. So is it possible to replace just the memory slot without replacing the entire motherboard? And if so, can anyone help me out with doing this? He does really need his laptop, so any help would be awesome.

A:Broken memory slot

How long can he go without a laptop?
That is a big project. You will need to be a master with a solder gun. Just getting the old part off without melting the motherboard will be an adventure. There are a LOT of pins.

First you will need to find the Brand and model # of the motherboard. You can use CPU-Z for that - it will list the info on the third tab.

Then, armed with that info you will search for the RAM SOCKET replacement. This is where it will get interesting, as the available sources will be in Asia. Shipping will kill you (for a $3 part). And you will probably need some translation skills too.

Your colleague really couldn't afford to mess his RAM Socket up. Now his best bet is to buy a new laptop.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/334046-broken-memory-slot.html
Relevancy 59.77%

On my sister's computer which is a Dell Inspiron 560 it has an SD Card Slot. The SD Card Slot stopped working a while ago and I was trying to help her fix it. The drive letter for it is S: and it says please insert a card. The reader itself is lighting up saying that there is a card in there. If i go into disk management it says the drive is formatted as RAW but it was formatted at fat32. I tried reformatting but that didn't work. The card works in her camcorder and other SD card slots. I also tried multiple cards. Any ideas for a fix or why it could be doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

A:How Do I fix a broken SD Card Slot

I would have a check in device manager to see if the device is operating correctly and no caution marks are showing

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234005-how-do-i-fix-broken-sd-card-slot.html
Relevancy 59.34%

A couple of weeks ago, I attempted to install a new DIMM into my computer. During this attempt, the clip on one of the sides broke off. The slot still works but since it ends up being vertical when I put my computer back together, the DIMM keeps working its way loose. I suddenly drop 512MB when I turn my computer back on.

Is there any way, short of replacing the computer or motherboard, to firmly hold the DIMM in place?

Relevancy 59.34%

Alright so I got an Aspire M since One day it suddenly card Graphics or slot? the is broken it wouldn t start up Beeping noises are heard from the CPU long short After a bit of research it seems Graphics card broken or is it the slot? that the computer could not detect the graphic card which results in it not starting up So I reinserted the graphic card Failed Did it again Failed Repeated for hour Still hearing long short beeps Then after a few maybe hours I tried again reinserting the graphics driver connecting the monitor cable and turned it on It worked Graphics card broken or is it the slot? I didn t know what happened but it worked After Graphics card broken or is it the slot? I was done using the computer I turned it off The next day today the problem came back Reinserted plugged monitor cable turned on and it works Now I don t know whether its the graphic card or the slot Wonder if replacing it will work I m afraid that if I turn off the PC the problem will return Any help would be appreciated I never opened the CPU since for cleaning nbsp

A:Graphics card broken or is it the slot?

Hey Falconet. I think I would be far more likely that the graphic card is flaky since in your research the beeps point to the graphics card. If the slot were damaged, chances are you wouldn't get it to work at all, and since it worked one day and not the next, and since the slot itself won't break on it's own, I would suspect the card first. It wouldn't hurt to check both connection points of the cable the next time, although the beeps indicate the card's operation itself as not being right.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-broken-or-is-it-the-slot.189593/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello,

I have a HDMI cable for my monitor, with a nvidia graphic card...

but now I have a big doubt, I dont know if my motherboard's graphic card's imput is not working anymore or if its my graphic's card after a FLASHY BLACKOUT today...

my nvidia control panel is not working anymore... whenever I try using VGA or HDMI with my graphic card it doesnt show any sign in the screen... so im currently using my normal VGA motherboard's imput...

I tried using an old graphic card and its not working, I tested the VGA cable and HDMI cable and they are working perfectly...

yet, after I set the graphic card in the slot, the fan it start working, if I unplug the graphic card but leave the curent cable, it doesnt start the fan so I guess the motherboard's imput is working

so idk what's the problem here, I have all the drivers and everythign was working perfectly before the blackout

A:Broken motherboard slot or graphic card

Well... its too late and soon for expect an answer but...

I tested my graphic card in an old motherboard and it was working... it didnt load windows cuz of the diferent motherboard but connecting my VGA in my gpu worked, and the HMDI didnt work I guess because it need to be configured after windows loading etc

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-motherboard-slot-or-graphic-card.212639/
Relevancy 58.05%

I just ordered a new laptop from Lenovo. I got a great deal because it was a preconfigured version from an overstock. It has a Windows 10 Pro lisence but was downgraded to Windows 7 Pro by the manufacturer (Lenovo). I would like to upgrade back to Windows 10. Would this be possible? Thanks in advance for the help!

A:Can I upgrade to Windows 10 after factory downgrade to Windows 7?

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question I just ordered a new laptop from Lenovo. I got a great deal because it was a preconfigured version from an overstock. It has a Windows 10 Pro lisence but was downgraded to Windows 7 Pro by the manufacturer (Lenovo). I would like to upgrade back to Windows 10. Would this be possible? Thanks in advance for the help! If it has a license, go and upgrade ;)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/436654-can-i-upgrade-windows-10-after-factory-downgrade-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello everyone Sadly my first post here is written under pretty bad circumstances I am one of the many people whose systems in my case a Precision were quot automatically quot upgraded to Windows without warning as Microsoft changed the status of Windows from an optional update to that of a reccommended update After the installation completed I was presented with the EULA and selected the decline option and Windows notified me that if I continue with this option it will attempt to re-install Windows so 10 and 7 upgrade downgrade Windows Windows failed I did that After supposedly re-installing Windows my system restarted and booted with the Windows 10 upgrade and failed Windows 7 downgrade Windows logo but before the login screen appeared I got a blue screen and the laptop restarted This subsequently happened every time I attempted to start my laptop except for when I tried to boot in safe mode which it did successfully I restarted the laptop pressed F and selected the Repair option and the Dell Backup and Recovery option after that I selected the drive I want to Windows 10 upgrade and failed Windows 7 downgrade backup C from the menu and was notified to insert a Flash Drive or a SD card that has more than GB free I inserted a GB USB Flash Drive SanDisk Extreme which is meant to be really fast and clicked Next Dell Backup and Recovery has since been stuck on the next screen which says quot Backing up your data and Dell Backup and Recovery settings quot with the progress bar just flashing by rather than actually showing any progress This has been happening for the last - hours Any ideas what is happening and what I should do what my options are In case it helps this is my set-up Dell Precision M CPU Core i HQ GHz Hard Drives GB M SSD TB RPMRAM GB nbsp DDR - MHz All help is appreciated Many thanks Antonis

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19978175
Relevancy 58.05%

I just placed a 7900gtx on a fairly old computer. I connected the card with the extra power cable and everything but as soon as i start the computer i get no picture, there's nothing on screen. The fan on the card is spinning and i can feel it getting warm, also i hear the loading sound through speakers so window loads up fine. I have an integrated graphic card so my computer is still usable, but i can't game or anything with it. I was just wondering if its the card or the pci-ex16 slot thats broken.

my specs, its an mdg computer

intel motherboard, d101ggc http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d101ggc/index.htm

2gb of ram ddr400
500watt power supply with 28a on the 12v rail
250gb hardrive
18X DVD-RW drive

Relevancy 58.05%

I have searched the forums for a similar problem and the most I can discern is that Sony Vaios are slot with reinstall possible? OS it broken - PC card Sony is Vaio on a pain in the rear Here OS reinstall on Sony Vaio with broken PC card slot - is it possible? is the situation I have a Sony Vaio PCG-SR K that recently had a hard disk failure which apparently wiped out the OS on the disk or at least fried the boot sector One day I was working and abruptly got the blue screen of death after which attempts to start the computer resulted only in a message of quot OS not found quot I have the quot recovery quot disks for the machine but not the actual quot install quot disks for the OS as apparently Sony does not trust it s customers with a copy of the actual software However this is not the main problem The problem is that the PC card slot stopped working a while back and OS reinstall on Sony Vaio with broken PC card slot - is it possible? this is the method by which the CD-ROM drive that came with the machine attaches After I could no longer use this drive I simply started using another USB linked CD-ROM drive to read CDs with However the machine WILL NOT BOOT from any device other than the hard drive which is messed up or a disk drive connected via the PC card slot which is broken Theoretically the machine could still work if I could only get an OS back on it I have read that Vaios are a complete pain in the rear to work around problems with The only reason I have the thing is that I got it for free that tells you something and I use it mainly for email and internet browsing I also have a desktop - NOT a Sony but it is nicer not being tethered to a desk I actually would rather move to a linux system but I understand that Vaios are even MORE of a pain in that regard The main question however is this is there a way to reinstall the OS without the PC card drive slot functioning I can t just clone the HDD because obviously there is something wrong on it I have removed the HDD and tried looking at the contents with my other computer using an external quot case There were problems looking at one of the partitions the one the boot sector is on of course and I had to run checkdisk with the fix option to quot fix quot it and be able to read it Afterward I could view the files but some were corrupted and some were missing I could try to install the OS to the disk using my other computer but suspect that won t work because of the differences in BIOS etc Any help or hope is appreciated nbsp

A:OS reinstall on Sony Vaio with broken PC card slot - is it possible?

XOSIA;

I don't know if this gets to you since the post you made is over 9 months old but I too have the same problem with my SR5K and wish to know how to install the OS without the PC card slot. I've tried installing the HD to another PC and install the OS this way, but when I reinstall the HD to the SR5K, the screen comes up with the "No OS Found" warning. Apparently the recovery disks must embed some information that the BIOS is looking for to say the OS installed on the HD is legit. I think Sony in many ways has cheated it's customers by preventing us to load the OS in any way we desire. It is a crime. If anyone reads this post and knows how to circumvent this problem, Please send some advice. I am sure there are many out there that have broken PCMCIA PC slots that prevents themfrom loading a recovery disk and find themselves in the same predictament.....My only solution to this problem has been to use my sister's working SR5K notebook (yes I am lucky to know someone with the same notebook) and install my HD in her notebook, load the recovery disk and then install this HD back into my SR5K....other than that I am lost to find a solution.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/os-reinstall-on-sony-vaio-with-broken-pc-card-slot-is-it-possible.41464/
Relevancy 58.05%

THE ISSUE Hardware issue A broken memory stick slot on the HP Pavilion n DETAILED EXPLANATION I don t know how this happened anyway but the catch on the second slot tray is broken causing one side of the installed memory stick to hang loose and not snap in or fit securely resulting in Windows not registering or recognizing that there is in fact a RAM memory stick actually in the second slot CONSEQUENCE I now have only one good RAM memory slot ACTIONS TAKEN SO FAR Purchased and installed nd RAM memory stick in the problem slot PRODUCT SPECS Memory Type DDR PC slot Pavilion broken A stick the on 753n HP memory DDR PC DDR non-ECC RESULTS Problem still exists Crucial s online scanner and the System Specs under My Computer still reads like below Memory DDR PC DDR PC Memory Type DDR PC DDR PC DDR non-ECC Maximum Memory GB Currently Installed Memory MB Total Memory Slots Available Memory Slots MB EMPTY SUGGESTED ACIONS FROM TECH SITES A Replace the mother board OR B Replace the MB stick that s in the good slot with A broken memory stick slot on the HP Pavilion 753n a GB stick THE PROBLEM A broken memory stick slot on the HP Pavilion 753n WITH B According to Crucial s com s Expert Online Tech where I bought the extra RAM this pc HP Pavilion n is too old and cannot handle a GB stick because it s basically an obsolete pc the OS operating system will be severely affected causing crashes and other instabiity if you put a GB stick of RAM in a slot therefore it is not recommended to put a GB stick in a slot MY QUESTIONS Is he right I ve received both yes and no responses so far but no definitive answer What other solutions are there What s involved in remanufacturing or replacing the board Should I contact HP to get a price quote to fix the issue THANK YOU All suggestions reviewed nbsp

Relevancy 56.76%

Windows XP isnt working for me anymore (read more here) and I was wondering if i could go buy Windows 7 Home and just Upgrade my PC to that, even though XP isnt working.

This is what I would buy at Best Buy(In-store, so i can fix my PC soon) - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows...599&skuId=9382697&st=windows 7 home&lp=1&cp=1

Also, We have a small business, is it really worth the price to get Professional or Ultimate? Money is VERY tight and if its not worth getting professional then we dont want to.

Thanks again. Sorry for making a second thread, but this one is completely separate then my malware problem.

Relevancy 56.33%

I have several of these and am upgrading these to Windows 10.  But the main irritation is that the SD card reader is no longer working after the upgrade.  Installing the Realtek drivers from here doesn't help either.  Pushing an SD card into the reader pops up a drive F but the drive is not accessible, and the system goes into mollasses mode AKA "green ribbon of death" when trying to access my computer in Windows explorer. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=15&PFid=25&Level=4&Conn=3&DownT... Of course HP doesn't have anything for Win10, so we are on our own. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/DV7-SD-Card-Reader-broken-after-upgrade-to-Windows-10/td-p/5703634
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello everyone
Forgive me if this is the wrong section to ask this, or if this has already been asked, because after searching for quite a while, I couldn't find any satisfactory answer.

I am using HP 15-ab031tx notebook, and it came with windows 8.1 single language. I upgraded to windows 10 single language on 11th Feb, and though it's awesome, for now I would like to roll back to win 8.1. But I would like to upgrade again later.
Can I do that?
If yes, can I do that after July 29?

Also, will it help if I use the media creation tool to create a windows 10 DVD and later use it for installation? Will the windows in the created DVD be activated automatically upon installation?
Will Microsoft 'remember' that I had once upgraded during the free upgrade period, so that makes me eligible for an upgrade again?

media creation tool - Windows 10
EDIT: I upgraded on Jan 11th

A:Can I downgrade to windows 8.1 and later upgrade again to windows 10?

Originally Posted by shivam

Hello everyone

I am using HP 15-ab031tx notebook, and it came with windows 8.1 single language. I upgraded to windows 10 single language on 11th Feb, and though it's awesome, for now I would like to roll back to win 8.1. But I would like to upgrade again later.
Can I do that?

Feb 11th ?
Win 10 RTM did not come into being until July 29th, 2015.
Before that, we only had Windows Technical Previews which later renamed to Insider Previews.

Sure you have the date right ?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/39211-can-i-downgrade-windows-8-1-later-upgrade-again-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello everyone
Forgive me if this is the wrong section to ask this, or if this has already been asked, because after searching for quite a while, I couldn't find any satisfactory answer.

Can I do that?

Also, will it help if I use the media creation tool to create a windows 10 DVD and later use it for installation? Will the windows in the created DVD be activated automatically upon installation?
Will Microsoft 'remember' that I had once upgraded during the free upgrade period, so that makes me eligible for an upgrade again?

media creation tool - Windows 10
EDIT: I upgraded on Jan 11th

A:Can I downgrade to windows 8.1 and later upgrade again to windows 10?

Originally Posted by shivam

Hello everyone

Can I do that?

Feb 11th ?
Win 10 RTM did not come into being until July 29th, 2015.
Before that, we only had Windows Technical Previews which later renamed to Insider Previews.

Sure you have the date right ?

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/39211-can-i-downgrade-windows-8-1-later-upgrade-again-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi..
I bought a new laptop that came with windows 8. I did all the upgrades in windows updates, installed adobe cs suite, kaspersky, and office.. And then a few days later I installed windows 8.1.
Now.. When I right click on the start menu (to get the contextual menu that has programs and features /task manager / control panel / start etc) none of those menu items work. -I get the spinning circle for few seconds then nothing appears. For example if I click on 'control panel' the control panel window does not open
I added a second account just now. In the second account the menu is working fine.
Is there something I can copy from one account to the other to make it work again?
Thanks if you can help!
Steve

A:windows 8.1 upgrade right click on start menu broken

Try Windows key & X to see if it opens up the menu, which is the same as right clicking on the icon on the taskbar.  You need to really learn the Windows key shortcuts.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513489/windows-81-upgrade-right-click-on-start-menu-broken/
Relevancy 55.47%

Once you have upgraded Win XP, Vista or 7 to Win 8, you need to be able to start, recover or re-install Win 8 with a recovery disk or original installation disk, preferably a disk that will boot the computer despite the fact that the Windows operating system has been knocked out. (I'm thinking of a situation where even Windows Safe Mode won't provide relief.) If you made a Win 8 Upgrade disk from the ISO provided on purchasing Win 8 online, you will have only that. Can the Win 8 Upgrade disk recover/re-install Windows 8 when it breaks down? If so, how can the Win 8 Upgrade disk be modified to boot the computer in order to start recovery or re-installation of Windows?

A:Can Win 8 Upgrade disk recover/re-install broken Windows?

Originally Posted by ecbritz

Can the Win 8 Upgrade disk recover/re-install Windows 8 when it breaks down? If so, how can the Win 8 Upgrade disk be modified to boot the computer in order to start recovery or re-installation of Windows?

Short answer yes...

It's basically a full retail version of Windows in an upgrade package. You can still do clean installs and everything.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/19804-can-win-8-upgrade-disk-recover-re-install-broken-windows.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I do have a Vista OS in my computer. I understand it can not be uppgraded right away to Windows 10. But my brothers hardware was damaged badly. He had Windows 10 in that computer. Is it possible to use that lisence?

If someone can help, I'm grateful, of course.

A:Can I use license of Windows 10 of broken computer to upgrade my Vista

If it was a purchased Retail Edition yes. If it was a factory OEM install no. What was the original OS on that now dead PC? How was windows 10 installed on it?

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/57538-can-i-use-license-windows-10-broken-computer-upgrade-my-vista.html
Relevancy 52.89%

im currently using windows 98 which came with my computer, so i dont have the discs or anything. my question is if i upgrade to windows xp:

1) will my documents, music downloads, etc. be lost?
2) can i downgrade back to windows 98 (w/o the disc) and have it basically be the same as before? ie with all the same programs? if so HOW?

please post answers or email me at [email protected]

thanks a lot

A:upgrade/downgrade

Hello and welcome to TSG!

If you want to know if your computer is compatible with Windows XP Home, take a look at Windows XP Home Upgrade Advisor.

If you do not have the Windows 98 installation disk, then you cannot go backwards because you would need it to install the operating system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrade-downgrade.262939/
Relevancy 52.89%

God dingit.

I recently picked up a a7v400 MX motherboard and a athlon xp 3000 cpu (333fsb). After installing them, however, I discovered that my processor is running at 1300mhz... instead of 2.167!!! My 512 stick of pc 2700 isnt run up to its normal 333 speed either.

In my BIOS:
My CPU reads as an athlon XP.
My CPU speed reads as 1300MHz.
My FSB Frequency reads as 100MHz.

100MHz?!?!?!?! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrg. The worst part is, for some reason, I can't adjust these settings manually. They are greyed out, and can not be manually manipulated. I should change my name to Angry Gamer.

Can anyone help me out?!?!?

Relevancy 52.89%

I a downgrade upgrade was wanted to speed up my upgrade was a downgrade system I play a lot of games so I made some changes to my system I had a - PII - Voodoo agp video card - mg upgrade was a downgrade primary - mg slave - Win I figured that I was probably bottlenecking with my processor so I went to the computer store where they recommended that I go to an AMD K- The guy said that I should see about a improvement in opening programs In addition I got the Win upgrade which I needed in order to run the chip After having those changes made it doesn t run any faster at all So my question is Is the AMD chip truly faster than my previous PII Is there something else that could be slowing my system down The technician mentioned that depending on how my drives were set up the slave may be slowing things down a lot because it s old Any thoughts anybody I don t want to spend another dime until I know that I ll see results Marcus nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

Hey everyone!
My question is should I upgrade my video card?
Mine is a ATi Radeon HD 4650 1G, and I want to upgrade to the ATi Radeon HD 5450 512mb or 1G.
I'm not sure if it's a right upgrade.
I'm not much of a max setting person I'm more of a mid settings.
That's what I do for my card I have now. Just want to upgrade you know.
If anyone thing i should go a bit higher please let me know, my range of spending is about $40-80.
Games I play:
Dirt 2
World of Warcraft
Battlefield Bad Company
Burnout Paradise
GTA 4
Combat Arms
Super meatboy
Pretty much it I play.

My system specs:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+
2.80GHz
5.0GB of ram
ATi Radeon 4650 HD 1G

A:It's an upgrade or downgrade?

Does your current card do what you want it too ... imo, your current card is more than sufficient...

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/136777-its-upgrade-downgrade.html
Relevancy 52.89%

First of all sry for my english.

I had a crappy computer with 1.8 dual core and a crappy graphic card. So I bought a new one with the following.

AMD Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz
4GB DDR3, 2st DIMM-platser (memory)
ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB (graphic)
and windows 7

The thing is I am playing a game called hon and my old computer made it fine with just about everything on max. And with my new I cant even move or pretty much anything. I have updated the graphic card and I am sure its nothing to do with my internet connection.

Thank you.

A:Upgrade went downgrade.

Hi,

Please follow these instructions, they will give us info about the state of your system: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ml#post2545708

Regards,
Reventon

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/upgrade-went-downgrade-485235.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi folks,

I want to upgrade my Lenovo laptop (presently on WinXP Pro) to Windows 7. My son (who is much more knowledgeable than me!) says I can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (using the upgrade disc) and then downgrade back to Win 7 Pro. I have checked that the computer's BIOS will "accept" Win8.

But the "downgrade" to 7 looks fraught with issues, from reading some of the discussions about it. Do I. for example, need a Windows 7 disc as well?

I would be grateful for some "wise words" on this!

Many thanks

John

A:Upgrade from XP to Win7 via Win 8 downgrade

Why would you upgrade Win XP to Windows 8 to downgrade to Windows 7?
To do the above you would need two Product keys, one for each OS.

As you can upgrade Win XP to Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/294938-upgrade-xp-win7-via-win-8-downgrade.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello Friends I upgraded my Lenovo Ideapad Z to Windows a couple of days back But the new OS is a pain it to pc Win 7 upgrade 8?? downgrade after to lenovo Win How to has slowed down my system substantially and also some reference memory terminated kind of errors are also displayed frequently may b this is coz i did not do any BIOS upgrade before switching to Win Was i supposed to Tried calling the customer support and they asked How to downgrade lenovo pc to Win 7 after upgrade to Win 8?? me to contact microsoft about the problem Whatever what i want now is to go back to my previous win and would appreciate if you people would guide me i saw a discussion on the same topic in the forum for an acer pc so would be glad if you help me out as well I have never run any backup or anything data is not much important anyway just some movies etc i have the win key on my laptop but there's no cd Pl help PS Located in India if that makes any difference to the kind of updates available

A:How to downgrade lenovo pc to Win 7 after upgrade to Win 8??

Hello ankitkr and welcome to Seven Forums.

Couple of questions. When you upgraded did you do a clean install (format the entire hard drive), clean install (format only the C: partition containing windows 7), or something else like dual boot? Do you know if your Lenovo still has a hidden recovery partition containing the original Windows 7 and other factory installed software? A screenshot of your Disk Management would be helpful to see how your hard drive is configured and what you have to work with.

How To Access Disk Management in Windows 7

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/263698-how-downgrade-lenovo-pc-win-7-after-upgrade-win-8-a.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi there Hoping someone can solve this mystery Upgrade a feels downgrade like for me Just quot upgraded quot my computer but the performance is way below par and games e g quot Portal quot that used to load in lt sec simply don't Here's what I upgraded AMD Athlon ASUS A N-SLI Deluxe GB DDR to AMD Athlon X ASUS M A GB DDR and I brought my GB HDDs and Asus EAX Pro over to the new board Also relevant is I'm running XPPro SP with all software updates applied I did a clean install on my OS partition My symptoms - In Task Manager Upgrade feels like a downgrade I haven't seen CPU usage drop below When idling the first core hovers between and and the second core shows a virtually constant - This has persisted since the first time booting Windows with virtually no background tasks - When the system actually does some work the first core kicks in and the second drops down That is peaks in core correspond to valleys in the core graph Never below around though - The game I've been trying to get running just to make sure everything is working is Portal Relatively small but high system requirements but should be fine because it ran on my old system right No I get to the loading screen and it just sits there When I tap the Win key to try and get it to minimize it doesn't but I can tell the Start menu is working because if I move the mouse to where it quot should quot be it changes to the regular arrow I let it sit there for about minutes before I gave up and hit reset HDD showed only sporadic activity in that time - I tried an older game Warcraft III and it worked fine What I've tried so far - Installed latest drivers for everything including AMD CPU drivers - Disabled quot Cool n Quiet quot in BIOS - Installed MS KB Hotfix for dual-core issues - Installed AMD Dual Core Optimizer - Did the registry fix shown here I'd really appreciate any suggestions I can still do work but I'd like to think that this was actually an upgrade Thank you

A:Upgrade feels like a downgrade

first thing i don't recomend using a registry cleaner. it is ok but sometimes you don't know what you are deleting. you said you have upgraded and then reinstalled windows. if this is the case i think you will need to upgrade all you driver. if you use a program called performance test that cna be downloaded for 30 day trial. do a scan of you system with that and it will tell you the pc's performance then go and upgrade driver and then see the number increase.

try disk clean up. click start run then type "cleanmgr.exe"

try disk defragmentor- start run type "dfrg.msc"

those are some recommendation as well as unchecking the program that start up. you say the processes are running high which ones in particular and as well have you fone virus scans or spyware etc.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/upgrade-feels-like-a-downgrade-237011.html
Relevancy 52.46%

ok guys my problems is that i currently have xp pro as my current os and i purchased a $99 copy of xp home upgrade. i pop the cd in and click install and it says that i cannot install win xp home cuz its not a supported upgrade path. so u cant downgrade with this cd? so how do i go about doing this? do i need to reformat my hard drive to erase my current os in order to use this upgrade cd? if so... how do i go about doing this? thank you for your time.

A:downgrade from xp pro to xp home with upgrade cd. please help!!!

To use this CD you will need to first most likely erace the drive using a program like Killdisk.

Then you will need to have either a Windows 98 (I think), 98se, 2000, or ME full install CD handy. Sometimes recovery CDs won't work. Without one of these CDs you cannot install the upgrade.

During install it will ask you to insert the old CD from above and will check it to make sure you are eligable. Then you can install as usual.

I don't see why you don't just stay with Pro, though.
BMR777

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/downgrade-from-xp-pro-to-xp-home-with-upgrade-cd-please-help-85778.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3 that just died on me and looking at bestbuy they have a 9500GT 1GB DDR2 for 100 dollars.
So would this be so would this be an upgrade or a downgrade?

I have a P4 3.0 with 2GB RAM and really the newest game I play is bf2. Would I even notice the difference?

Relevancy 52.46%

I have a HP mini that came with Vista with an XP downgrade. Iwould like to return to Vista but when I start the install it will not let me upgrade because of an unattended file. I really don't want to install on a partion, can anyone help?

A:Vista Upgrade from XP downgrade

Hi billsomerfield,
Here is a link that will give you some insight Installing Windows XP over Windows Vista - CNET Windows Vista Forums.
Regards,
Gil777t

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272986-vista-upgrade-xp-downgrade.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I want to deactivate my copy of windows 7 ultimate, and give it to my family. Can I do an upgrade install but install Home Premium?

A:Upgrade install to downgrade

Quote: Originally Posted by cclloyd9785

I want to deactivate my copy of windows 7 ultimate, and give it to my family. Can I do an upgrade install but install Home Premium?

Your install path is not upgrade, its downgrade. Ultiimate>home.

Best bet, clean instalal if you have the license.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/72050-upgrade-install-downgrade.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi People,

I have an old Dell Dimension XPX T600 PC. I want to upgrade the cpu. However its a Slot A. I'm told that I don't have to upgrade the entire slot, just the cpu. How do I do this?

Also, what is the max cpu my slot A pc will take.

Thanks,
Kappy

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all I have some (AGP 300w GPU upgrade not? PSU) slot, or 8x fairly specific questions that are related to graphics cards upgrades with respect to PSUs so allow me to lay out the background of the system first and then get into my questions second First system details Intel P Northwood GPU upgrade or not? (AGP 8x slot, 300w PSU) GHz ASUS P SD-VX I believe that this is a Sony OEM board GB GPU upgrade or not? (AGP 8x slot, 300w PSU) PC DDR GPU upgrade or not? (AGP 8x slot, 300w PSU) SDRAM Corsair something or other x MB ATI Radeon Pro MB x RPM IDE harddrive x DVD-RW DVD RW drives floppy drive Sound Blaster PCI card mm case fan mm CPU fan stock fans Putting all this into the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator here gives me a recommended PSU wattage of W Even with the quot capacitor aging quot factor turned up to the system is years old I only get W Now my PSU is rated at W with A max on the single V rail It has NEVER---repeat NEVER---overheated been unstable crashed blue screened or done anything that I didn t want it to do Lucky me Here are my questions Is the current video card a quot balanced quot card for my system set-up Could I feasibly run a more robust card given the CPU RAM etc FSB is MHz Read---I want to run a more robust card and want to know if it s worth the effort However I m concerned about CPU and FSB bottlenecks Regardless of balanced components what is the most robust card my system can run Also Is my PSU enough to run a more robust card I ve gotten very wary of people hollering about more wattage because I ve never had any sort of power problem with the PRO in this system and I ve seen lots of discussion about how one should have at least a W PSU to run that card Then again I could be running a dangerously overloaded system and have not known it Please let me know I don t have budget constraints in that the only thing I m ready to change in the set-up is the video card I would love to hear suggestions on how to optimize the system but getting a new mobo PSU CPU isn t really an option at this point Only game I really play is WoW but I m quite attached to it and would like for it to look better than it does at this point Also given how tight the PSU component match-up is overclocking won t come into the picture at all That s it for questions right now Thanks in advance for reading Ruu nbsp

A:GPU upgrade or not? (AGP 8x slot, 300w PSU)

If all you play is WoW that system should be fine. And you even said it runs perfect for you. It doesn't look like you need an upgrade if you're just playing WoW...Unless you plan on playing new games.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gpu-upgrade-or-not-agp-8x-slot-300w-psu.109638/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi , im new around here and I just want to know that can i upgrade my graphic card if i only have standard PCI slot ?

A:Graphics upgrade, only have PCI slot

hello and welcome; here are couple of options of PCI Video Cards for your system, if your system is bit older, it should still have AGP slot. Can you please give your system's specifications?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-upgrade-only-have-pci-slot.142223/
Relevancy 52.03%

My Hp Pavilion g tx did not pose any problems for years But a week ago I upgraded my RAM from to gb The shopkeeper inserted hynix gb nbsp ddr ram So Can Other... one I ram 8gb 4g in to my slot. upgrade memory ram that makes two rams in my loptop nbsp - Samsung Came when I purchased laptop years ago - gb ddr Hynix b ddr nbsp After a week my laptop stoped working Showing it two service center they said one of my nbsp memory slot is damaged and can't be used nbsp So now I had only one memory slot active with gb ram inside it My Question nbsp is - CAN I INSERT GB RAM IN ONE MEMORY SLOT SINCE OTHER ONE IS DAMAGED nbsp OF MY PAVILION G TX MOTHERBOARD nbsp If yes then please tell me - Of what type of ram should I be looking for Sepecification From where should I buy Crucial got gb ram which I can't usePlease reply ASAP nbsp Thanks amp RegardsPrince Soni

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Can-I-upgrade-my-4g-ram-to-8gb-ram-in-one-memory-slot-Other/td-p/5714534
Relevancy 52.03%

It has been a while since I worked with a slot 1 CPU. I would like to upgrade a slot 1 Celeron with a 66 MHz FSB to a Pentium III slot 1 CPU with a 100 MHz FSB.

If the FSB remains at 66 MHz due to the MB, will the PIII CPU still work, but a a reduced speed?

Thank you:
Rhyder

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all,

I just bought a Lenovo X140e, which comes with Windows 7 Professional preinstalled through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro. I setup the computer fine under W7, then proceeded to install W10 so I could get the "hardware license" for Windows 10. At the moment, I don't want W10 on this laptop.

After activating Windows 10 on it, and making sure the license is activated, I installed an SSD on the laptop, however now I cannot activate Windows 7. I downloaded a W7 Professional ISO and put it on a USB using Rufus. The install goes okay, but Windows 7 is now asking me for a license key. Where is it? The bottom of my laptop only has a Windows 8 Pro sticker, there's no product key sticker.

Please help! How do I find my Windows 7 key?

A:Please help. W7 activation issue after downgrade and SSD upgrade

I don't know if this will give you the key you need but it's probably your best option at finding it,

Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/55419-please-help-w7-activation-issue-after-downgrade-ssd-upgrade.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I don't post often but I do read a RC Upgrade XP or WIN 7 build Downgrade 7100 lot and there is a lot of good info here Background Upgrade WIN XP or Downgrade 7 RC build 7100 I am running a dual boot Win XP bit and Win RC bit I have the Digital River WIN Pro Upgrade bit I have read the UNAWAVE downgrade scenario from Ultimate to Pro and the WIN XP to WIN PRO upgrade here I am debating which OS to change I really like the RC version and have been using it for quite a while But since it is my main OS I would hate to screw it up doing the downgrade as suggested by UNAWAVE If I upgrade the WIN XP OS I am not sure If I would still be able to dual boot between WIN RC and WIN Pro If I do upgrade XP to PRO would I be able to use WET to transfer my settings from RC to PRO I am leaning towards the downgrade option but wanted some more input from the quot experts quot Any suggestions would be appreciated

A:Upgrade WIN XP or Downgrade 7 RC build 7100

Your RC version will start expiring in March 2010, so now would be a good time to make a decision what to do about your programs, files, & settings.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/31004-upgrade-win-xp-downgrade-7-rc-build-7100-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Here s the story Have a custom built computer it has been up and running for over a year with no problems whatsoever I put some new ram in it same speed and everything after installing the comp would not post it will start all fans spin but no output after not will Computer post downgrade? upgrade, to the screen Thinking it might be bad ram i Computer will not post after upgrade, downgrade? removed the ram and reset it back to the old configuration with the same result removed all components removed cmos battery let it sit resinstalled one at a time and it booted fine Now it is back to the same thing will not post at all I am going to remove everything and remove the mobo and try to boot it with the mobo out of the case next ive read some of the threads here on the forum and have tried most of them already Just find it hard to believe that the mobo may have died right then but thats what im leaning towards Any ideas Specs Gigabyte GA-M SME- mb gb corsair pc ddr mem MSI GeForce NX GT vid card gb SATA HDD nbsp

A:Computer will not post after upgrade, downgrade?

It is possible that the motherboard was damaged by static or a bad RAM module

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-will-not-post-after-upgrade-downgrade.124121/
Relevancy 52.03%

I downgraded a laptop from Vista Home Premium Downgrade to XP to of Win 7 Home Vista Pro upgrade to to XP PRO because I have an upgrade of Windows Pro that would not update from the Vista OS The computer is a Compaq CQ and I ran the Windows upgrade advisor and it said that it was compatible with everything except it said that it needs more memory It is showing GB installed which I am assuming the remaining memory is being used in shared video I am planning on updating the memory to GB anyway so it should be fine However I have my boot order set to DVD first and moved the HDD all the way to the last boot item When I restart the computer with the DVD in it goes right past it I can hear the DVD spin up but then nothing happens and then boots to Downgrade of Vista Home to XP to upgrade to Win 7 Pro XP If I try to run the setup from the DVD it says that my version of windows is not upgradeable Downgrade of Vista Home to XP to upgrade to Win 7 Pro Any ideas

A:Downgrade of Vista Home to XP to upgrade to Win 7 Pro

you cannot upgrade from winxp, you have to do a full install. running from setup is only for upgrading.

put the wiin7 dvd into the drive and reboot the system. As soon as it powers on, start tapping the space bar.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/downgrade-of-vista-home-to-xp-to-upgrade-to-win-7-pro-498428.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello quick question, I am trying to upgrade my old tiny from a pentium 2 400 mhz slot, to a 1.3 G celeron using a 370 socket to slot converter, but when i power up the screen does not come on, Will it even work if so what am i doing wrong. P.s. I have changed the bus switching to 4x on the motherboard.

thanks bubba.

A:360 socket to slot converter upgrade

My experience has been that it never works. Ive tried to use one of thos converter boards on a number of occasions and its never worked.

Meckter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/360-socket-to-slot-converter-upgrade.76988/
Relevancy 51.6%

1. Expansion SlotWhat is the expansion slot specification for this model as we would like to add a dedicated graphics card with DisplayPort ? 2. MemoryHow many memory slots does it have on the motherboard ?What type of memory is required ?What is the maximum memory supported on the motherboard ? 

Solved!

Go to Solution.

A:XC-704 Expansion Slot & Memory Upgrade

Ok, Sorry looking up the model at Kingston and a couple other sites didn't show your computer and seeing I hadn't seen any I was confused. Based on what I have found maybe a Model from other country.  With that said it looks like it comes with 2gig DDR3L Ram and is Upgradable to 8Gig Also looks like yours comes With 1 PCI Express x16 Slot. I am not sure with the PSU and with that slot if you would be able to upgrade to a different Graphics Card. GPU and size of case would put a huge limit on what could be able to fit...  James

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/XC-704-Expansion-Slot-amp-Memory-Upgrade/td-p/392919
Relevancy 51.17%

Recently my cable modem had died it kept on sparking up almost caught on fire so we had to go and replace it We got a smaller and newer model from the cable company the Speed Downgrade Cable HELP! Upgrade, Modem Motorola SURFBoard Cable Modem Upgrade, Speed Downgrade HELP! SB I soon began to notice my download Cable Modem Upgrade, Speed Downgrade HELP! speeds were extra slow with the new Cable Modem Upgrade, Speed Downgrade HELP! modem before with the big bulky Cable Modem i had better download speeds but it was garbage and kept breaking down Can anyone tell me why and how to fix this I can now notice - kb differences in download speeds Cable Modem SB from RoadRunner Former Cable Modem same brand but older model cant remember Software Version SB - -SCM -NOSH Hardware Version MIB Version II GUI Version DownStream Frequency Hz Signal To Noise Ratio dB Power Level dBmV UpStream Channel ID Frequency Hz Power dBmV Speed test results kilobits per second Communications kilobits per second Storage kilobytes per second MB file download seconds Subjective rating Good nbsp

A:Cable Modem Upgrade, Speed Downgrade HELP!

Can you also post the specs of your old system? This will probably provide a solution.

Regards,

Korrupt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cable-modem-upgrade-speed-downgrade-help.54179/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi, can anyone tell me how to access the second slot in my e-system 1511. I was told it was under the keyboard. I can unclip the clips but there seems to be something else holiding it down. I ve looked at the back and can see no screw with kb next to it to indicate that, that is the screw for the keypad.
Appreciate any advice. I have upgraded the first memory. I ordered 2gb and this came in two of 1gb so I am assuming there is a second slot.
Thanks

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi!
I was wondering if the following are able to be put into a compaq sr5110nx. Mind you I will be either getting a new HDD or formating the one in it and putting Windows XP Home Edition as the OS,and getting rid of Vista.

HDD:http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3247662&CatId=139
VIDEO CARD:http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4636774
PSU:http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3986693
MEMORY(X2):http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3281625&CatId=3409

Thanks so much for responses!!
-techdude42397-

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi I m not sure if this is the appropriate section and inspiron downgrade Dell - 15-3521 Upgrade issues for this but I m working on a friend s nbsp Dell inspiron - that has been unusable for about a month The laptop is about years old and came with Windows and he tried to upgrade to Windows when prompted After the quot upgrade quot the laptop would boot correctly into Windows about out of attempts and when it did boot correctly it would ultimately crash without much explanation He wanted to downgrade all the way to Windows which I have a legitimate copy of so I booted into a Linux Mint Live distro formatted the drive and installed Windows After the installation Windows booted up fine but was incredibly slow and still basically unusable Now after restarting the computer either restarts at the login screen of Windows or freezes on a black screen after entering login info Initially I thought maybe the ram was bad and was just running out of memory but the Linux memtest comes back clean Now I suspect that it could be a bad hard drive but it would be great to get more opinions before I continue guessing

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19980622
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello Lenovo Forums, I am trying to install Windows 10 on my SM951 256GB m.2 ssd. Unfortunately, while it is recognized as a drive in windows, and in the bios, it is not considered a bootable device. When installing windows, it goes directly on the current c://. What am I doing wrong? Much Consideration, Xenda

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:Lenovo y700-15ISK ssd upgrade m.2 slot WIN 10 inst...

Upon some inspection through some forums, I have gotten it recognized in the boot menu. Windows still insists on installing to the hhd, though.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Lenovo-y700-15ISK-ssd-upgrade-m-2-slot-WIN-10-install/td-p/2264235
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello my Optiplex just arrived this week nbsp I bought a Kingston mb SATA ssd in slot Tower upgrade.... 7040 Optiplex Mini M.2 a stick so I m trying to see if I can use this for my main boot drive Windows and then move the gb Sata drive over to a storage drive When I install the mb stick into the M slot and load the bios nbsp nbsp It shows up under General System Information PCI information Slot M amp also under Device Information SATA- nbsp nbsp When I look under System Configuration Drives it also shows up under SATA- here as well nbsp However it s showing up as a gb Drive under type So when I boot from a USB drive to try and reinstall Windows on this M stick it Optiplex 7040 Mini Tower M.2 slot upgrade.... s not showing up at all When I connect the M SATA drive and load Windows on the existing SATA drive that came with the the M Optiplex 7040 Mini Tower M.2 slot upgrade.... stick shows up in device manager under the hard drives nbsp The serial there corresponds to a Toshiba-form hdd unfortunately I can t do anything with it in Windows SATA operation is set to AHCI and I am booting into legacy with the USB Any thoughts nbsp I m wondering if maybe I have a dead memory stick nbsp There s no real way I can test it on another computer to see what happens

A:Optiplex 7040 Mini Tower M.2 slot upgrade....

For Windows 10 you should have a UEFI Boot with SecureBoot Enabled. The USB should be made using the GPT partition scheme for UEFI BIOS. I hope you mean 120 GB and not 120 MB....
See here for details:
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19997156
Relevancy 49.02%

Here are the specs on my parents old computer:

eMonster | 600, 550, 500 and 500a
Napoli-2 Micro ATX (STX V1.2 form factor) motherboard, TriGem, Korea Single Edge Contact Cartridge design with Slot 1 connector Intel 443 ZX core and ITE8673F Super I/O controller
Add-on AGP 3D graphics accelerator slot Crystal CS4281/CS4280 built-in Sound Blaster Pro, MPC-3, MPU-401 compatible Audio Enhanced Stereo full duplex operation

I bought Zoo Tycoon 2 for the kids to use on their computer, and the processor need to be upgraded to at least 733mHz. I ordered a Slot 1 866 MHz Pentium processor through eBay and just tried it out in the computer, but my computer does not boot-nothing on the screen-no beep (to my recollection). The 600mHz processor had a fan and the 866mHz did not come with a fan.
Do I need a special processor for this motherboard? Or do I have a defective processor? And do I need to order a fan for whichever processor I reorder?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kids-want-to-play-with-xmas-present-upgrade-slot-1-processor-on-napoli-motherboard.40359/
Relevancy 47.73%

If you are one of the people who got free media center addon last year, don't upgrade. You windows 8 key won't be able to activate after upgrade.

I called microsoft activation center and the only suggestion they have is clean install of windows 8 and redo the upgrade because the media center activation key was expired (after the promotion period). It wasted me an hour to make the call and talk with the manger (employee id 2814). They sound like it is none of their business.

I was never so pissed off by a free product before but now it does seem like they are not willing to help customers at all. Now I can understand why so many people hate their company/product.

A:Broken activation after upgrade to 8.1

This may be stupid question but did you try phone activation.

I'm asking because one 8.1 update what I made turned my mothers activated windows 8.1 pro mce install to unactivated state.
In my case however I only needed to call that activation line.
That pro license was also bought during that 15? promotion and that mce key was also free one.

If you allready did try that, then try calling them again as that free mce key is same as those you could bought their site, ony difference is that they had to be activated before that promo ended.

My dad had his 15? pro and free mce keys transfered to new w8 core laptop because his laptop broke down.
So that thing they said about not been able to renew or geve you new key is complite bulls***.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/33152-broken-activation-after-upgrade-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,

As the title suggest, the 'Frequent' tab is not displaying as it used to in IE10, under Window 8. It is picking up some sites I am visiting but not many, and definitely not the way it did in the past.

I did have some slight registry tweaks in place prior to the upgrade - mainly just to add an extra row of sites (so 15 were displaying instead of 10). I also deleted the sites that I had removed to get 1 back I accidentally deleted.

I have cleaned IE with CCleaner, deleted all histories via IE11 itself and even reset IE as well.

The reset changed 1 thing, in that I now have a Bing search bar in the frequent tab, although all this does is mirror the typing on the address bar at the top, so I don't see it's purpose.

Any ideas how to fix this?

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/60771-ie-11-frequent-tab-broken-after-8-1-upgrade.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I fired up Skype this afternoon and it immediately launched into an upgrade. When the new version came up, it declared 'Skype Home unavailable'. All contacts were shown as offline, including the Call Testing Service, which is always available usually. The firewall is set to allow Skype. In any case, this morning, before the upgrade, it was working fine...

Anyone else having this issue, or know anything about it?

A:Skype broken after upgrade?

Just opened Skype and it did update. But all working. Did you restart PC? Change DNS? Reinstall Skype perhaps?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/372941-skype-broken-after-upgrade.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Until recently I had two Gigabyte HD s no CrossFire in one of my machines and an HD in another Well the two mm fans in the 's case both died within a day of each other and of course replacing them AMD Broken Suddenly Upgrade on Drivers would cost as much as a decent new case so the hadn't been used in a while I also realized that perhaps this quot AMD Drivers Suddenly Broken on Upgrade CrossFire-ready quot budget PSU is probably designed for two s and not two s because the machine would not run at all smoothly unless AMD Drivers Suddenly Broken on Upgrade I AMD Drivers Suddenly Broken on Upgrade really downclocked one or both cards It would often just turn off without warning It was obviously the GPUs drawing too much power so I swapped them out for the one I had Catalyst installed if I remember correctly and had never gotten any BSODs or other obvious signs of driver incompatibility or corruption I'd upgrade whenever a driver was released that didn't actually hurt DP performance and never had any issues Until I installed the at least Now the machine won't even get to the login screen unless I am in Safe Mode The screen glitches up as though the card is fried it is not for the record and I get a BSOD specifically naming atikmpag sys as the culprit It does a memory dump and reboots I have yet to analyze the crash dump itself - working on it The most irritating and frustrating thing is that since I assume it's a driver issue I try removing the drivers only to have Windows immediately install them again and not allow me to stop the installation at all I was told to use gpedit msc to prevent this but this particular machine runs Home Premium which does not have Group Policy Editor I tried quot deleting quot the drivers during uninstall which as it turns out doesn't really delete them and immediately rebooting to normal mode only to have Windows immediately install the drivers again So the drivers Windows automatically installs and for some reason thinks are the best for my are dated April so um no Even if I try and install Catalyst over them the system won't boot into anything but Safe Mode successfully Frankly I am at my wit's end here I don't have the patience to manually replace individual INFs or what have you nor can I justify the cost of a better PSU to resume using the two s instead I read a lot of threads out there like this issue mostly from a year ago or more and saw a lot of fixes involving uninstalling SP and putting it back after drivers installed and lots of clean Windows installs Of course I don't know where I wrote down my product key I know I can find it out easily and the best part is I don't have Windows install media at all Of course I can't install Catalyst in Safe Mode but I can somehow uninstall display drivers I'm stuck Am I missing overlooking something or is this really as complicated and frustrating as it seems Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to offer on this I appreciate it

A:AMD Drivers Suddenly Broken on Upgrade

Don't know if the attached info will do what you want, but you could try it: Uninstall Drivers from Vista & Windows 7#

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/300794-amd-drivers-suddenly-broken-upgrade.html
Relevancy 46.87%

HI guys broken 8.1 upgrade to function since Refresh Long time lurker first time poster I ve been driven to post by Refresh function broken since upgrade to 8.1 an issue with the Refresh Windows option since the update to I Refresh function broken since upgrade to 8.1 cannot find a viable solution I am sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but Refresh function broken since upgrade to 8.1 I cannot find it if so It appears to me that the Refresh Windows function is broken for those of us who upgraded from to for free via the start screen Windows Store When I tried to run Refresh on two of my machines it failed responding with the error message files are missing insert your recovery drive or installation media or similar However if you have upgraded via the Store neither your original W installation disk NOR a newly created recovery drive will work If you try to use either windows will tell you the media is invalid Research and fault finding indicates that the refresh function won t work because of a product key conflict From what I can tell this is because When you upgrade from to through the store you don t create an ISO or receive an updated product key If you have upgraded via the store Refresh will tell you files are missing as above If you use your original installation media as windows directs you to it will fail because the product key is no longer valid If you create a new recovery drive on your updated machine again this will not work Refresh will say the disk is invalid Again I suspect this is a product key issue Trying to find and use a Windows product key on my machines since the upgrade is also a dead end Control Panel System and Security System no longer displays a product key Using a third party product key finder app may find another product key however again this will be invalid Refresh was such a handy feature of Is there a work around to this It seems such a fundamental problem that I d expect Microsoft to fix via Windows Update however an interim solution would be much appreciated

A:Refresh function broken since upgrade to 8.1

It is a very handy feature indeed. Assuming that your PC is working now and when you want to refresh you want to refresh to 8.1 with whatever you have installed today then do this Refresh Windows 8 - Create and Use Custom Recovery Image

This will refresh back to your current state which (assuming it is OK) is more useful than going back to 8.

Is this what you are after or do you want refresh to (somehow) downgrade you to 8 again?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35406-refresh-function-broken-since-upgrade-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 46.87%

What i am trying to do Update installation media and recovery options to reflect that of Options To How 8.1 after Recovery Broken Fix Upgrade. the current installed OS version What i have done Updated to from Store after running using which was originaly a clean install Had been using installation media to access winRE but after recent issues with recovery options asking for installation media spent time to try and better understand all the recovery options as available in Using the tutorial section of these forums suggest i have broken recovery as many options do not appear including Automatic Repair in How To Fix Broken Recovery Options after 8.1 Upgrade. Advanced Start Up Options After creating DVD ISO then making this UEFI bootable reaslised Recovery options available are not what they should be The ISO was created as per Windows How To Fix Broken Recovery Options after 8.1 Upgrade. and Windows ISO - Download or Create which did not boot using EFI so used oscdimg to make it so as per Anybody gotten the DVD to boot UEFI - Microsoft Community This means i do have fallback recovery reinstall options thankfully After realising i can not make up a USB Start Up disk Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows and am aware the WinRE partition on drive is empty I need to place WinRE and system recovery image to that partition before it can be used or copied to any where else - How Months ago i came across a webpage describing how upgrade moved ESP to start of drive Simply moving WinRE partition to start of drive fixed the Recovery options issues users were observing Unfortunately i can not refind the page to what i am referring to but what i describe is the gist of what is described Sample Configure UEFI GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart After noticing recovery option issues and being unable to create a USB Start Up drive started moving partitions around diskpart sees my windows drive like Code Volume C NTFS Partition GB Healthy Boot Volume WinRE NTFS Partition MB Healthy Hidden Volume ESP FAT Partition MB Healthy System and have made a GB Recovery Image partition on another drive A recovery image was made and placed into that partition using the RecoveryDrive exe utility which was around GB in size Diskpart should be showing the MB MSR partition but it does not How to fix What i think i want is WinRE and system image in the MB partition in addition to having the in OS winRE options as well as having the Recovery Image to fall back on before having to reinstall I appreciate having UEFI bootable installation media is the ultimate solution but would like to configure recovery options to a more usable configuration thus removing dependence on using installation media Many tutorials describe using winPE and winRE tools to configure Recovery options refer to using wim files to fix windows image Looking into this sheds some light that using the updated ADK for it is now possible to use the esd files

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/45907-how-fix-broken-recovery-options-after-8-1-upgrade.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I have a AMD Dual slot video card on my Asus M A X-Evo Motherboard It is installed in the first x slot and I also have a PCI-e x XF-I Titanium Sound card The problem I am having is that one of the x slots is covered by the video card and the nd one is open but right smack below the Video card My Video card is the Sapphire slot Question PCI-e dual below slot card video about GHz Edition non OC Attached is a picture of what I am trying to explain My other question is Will this cause issues since one of the GPU fans is semi covered Its it recommended Last question If I move this to one of the x slots below on my motherboard will it cause my x PCI-E slot to slow down Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide Computer Specs - Asus M A x-Evo Motherboard AM AMD FX Core Ghz Sapphire AMD Radeon GHz Edition GB GB DDR Kingston HyperX memory x GB GB WD Black Edtion SATA HD TB WD Black Edtion SATA HD Sound Blaster XF-I Titanium PCI-E x Sound Card Thremaltake Bronze PS Smart Series DVDRW SATA DVD-ROM SATA nbsp

A:Question about PCI-e slot below dual slot video card

My opinion ...

Yes, setting up like that will have an impact. The air flow to your GPU will be restricted so it will more than likely run hotter than it did. It may still stay withing recommended specs, but it will run hotter.

The motherboard has onboard sound (RealtekŪ ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC ), any particular reason why you don't use that? Onboard sound is perfectly good for gaming and the like now, its not like older machines where you needed a dedicated card for decent quality. In my opinion, you only need a dedicated card if you are doing a lot of detailed audio work (mixing, remastering and other specific audio work). This would totally remove the issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-pci-e-slot-below-dual-slot-video-card.1092148/
Relevancy 46.01%

My experience with the upgrade nbsp First I tried to get smart and get a generic EM error and shutdown occured Lenovo whitelists hardware and illegal BIOS mods are not my cuppa Joe nbsp Then I tried to get the EM from IBM & Upgrade T460 Antenna WWAN connector Broken Lenovo parts delays until June canceled Ordered from HPP T460 WWAN Upgrade & Broken Antenna connector on Amazon Lenovo original nbsp Main antenna pin on card broke off into the antenna connector after the stress of two connects no luck extracting snapped it off and then soldered the cable into the EM board It was a dumb MISTAKE because the cable is actually coaxial nbsp Ordered Lenovo AW antenna LAN and WWAN and took the T apart Carved up the micro-SIM tray microsurgery with a blade to accept the SIM card from AT amp T Make four cuts into the T460 WWAN Upgrade & Broken Antenna connector LCD bezel trim to access the screws because I was too lazy to pry it off it all works now nbsp Tips To avoid pin amputation which will get stuck in antenna connector lift the WWAN card off the board avoiding contact with the connectors wear a x bino magnifier preferable with a light and bend the cables to lay flush with board before snappin in using nail make sure you feel the slight pop when the connectors align before applying pressure Oh and make sure you are well rested with the kids and wife out of the house nbsp Half an hour of work initially then a five hour session to fix the booboo nbsp Parts for the unfortunate antenna amputees order here IBM Lenovo Parts AW Antenna has both WiFi and WWAN recomend replacing both nbsp AW Bezel alternatively one can just lift the bezel trim and make cuts to open access to the bolts nbsp JT EM card cheaper on Amazon nbsp Hardware aka service manual read carefully before working on the laptop nbsp Service Manual nbsp Now everything works big sigh of relief and no ice cream money but I still have my laptop nbsp nbsp Hope this is helpful

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T460-WWAN-Upgrade-amp-Broken-Antenna-connector/td-p/3332814
Relevancy 46.01%

ok the lady I got this comp from says the comp the video card its reading now is not as good as the one in the PCI slot so Im wondering how do I make it so it reads the PCI slot

The AGP vid card though comes out with a Adaptor to make it so you can plug in moniters

Anyway Should I leave my moniter plug in the AGP slot video card or put it where no video card is but goes right into the computer

and no there is no plug that goes into the PCI slot

I hope this is understanable

thanks

A:How to switch the comp from reading your AGP slot to PCI slot

Jimboson said:

Anyway Should I leave my moniter plug in the AGP slot video card or put it where no video card is but goes right into the computer

That's known as integrated graphics, now do you have a PCI video card and an APG video card or an Integrated video card and an AGP card?

Also what are they Radeon xxxx? or Nvidia xxxx? we need to know the model numbers to tell you which is the better on to use.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-switch-the-comp-from-reading-your-agp-slot-to-pci-slot.594580/
Relevancy 46.01%

hi there,
i need to know which know which graphic card will fit for my computer. Ie i want to know which type: DDR ,DDR1 or ddr2 i bought my computer in 2007, but thats not enough to tell.
so please let me know how do i know which pci slot i have?

A:which graphic card slot do i require for my PCI slot

The type of memory doesn't matter, its the type of interface the computer supports among a few other things to watch for.

You likely have a PCI-Express slot, as long as it a x16 slot it doesn't really matter if its a version 1.1 or 2.0 slot.

Is this for your Dell or another computer? Whats you budget and what needs do you have for the video card?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/which-graphic-card-slot-do-i-require-for-my-pci-slot.921803/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi,

i have had trouble with my computer after cleaning it (can of compressed air) it would boot to log in screen then go black on the monitor or it would blue screen and restart.

after figuring out it was a RAM problem i tried another stick of RAM but same problem so i guess its the actual slot it goes into, i only have 2 on my motherboard lucky one of them is working still.

has anyone had this problem or know of a way to fix it, i am wondering if some of the canned air/gas became a liquid from spraying to close and got in it.

any help would be appreciated thanks.

A:RAM slot/DIMM slot? blue screening me!

Hi,

ok so i have been looking into my problem more, when booting i press tab to show the POST?? or somthing and it says that 1 of the RAMs wouldnt/couldnt R/W (read write?? i dont know)

then i get the screen saying that windows has had hardware changes and asking to how i want to start windows (normal, safe mode, etc) i have tried all but it just restarts.

now its only with 1 of the 2 dimm slots this happens and i have tried differend RAM in there but only the 1 slot works

any help would be appreciated

thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-slot-dimm-slot-blue-screening-me.152835/
Relevancy 46.01%

This is the strangest thing I've seen in the past years of using computers I have an Acer Aspire - laptop that came with windows but I'm very picky and I wanted Windows xp back so I went onto Acer's website and won't mouse USB slot USB first other in works any slot, in only work but USB downloaded all of the windows xp drivers and then formatted the laptop to Windows XP with intergrated Service Pack The computer works just fine except for one very strange oddity - the USB mouse I'm using only works when plugged into the first USB slot it will refuse to work in the other USB slots I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer USB which is my favorite mouse and I USB mouse only works in first USB slot, but won't work in any other USB slot have of them at home When I was formatting the laptop USB mouse only works in first USB slot, but won't work in any other USB slot I had the mouse plugged into the first USB slot and now that is the ONLY slot it will work in If I plug it into the other usb slots the red laser will come on which means it's getting power but it will not move the cursor and clicking either of the mouse buttons won't do anything When I have the Device Manager open and I plug the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer mouse into the first USB slot the 'Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer ' entry will appear in BOTH the 'Human Interface Devices' tab and also the 'Mice and other pointing devices' tab However when plugging the mouse into the other usb slots the 'Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer ' entry will only appear in the 'Human Interface Devices' but NOT the 'Mice and other pointing devices' tab I could just go about my business using the first usb slot for the mouse but this little strange problem is pissing me off hugely as I might want to switch the mouse to another USB slot based on how I have the laptop positioned on a desk or other surface I should also note that the 'Human Interface Devices' tab has a 'HID compliant device' entry in it that isn't present on my desktop computer and my mouse works on any of the usb slots on my desktop computer I wonder if this is the problem I tried disabling this entry but it doesn't help any A final point to note is that I have many other usb devices such as flash memory sticks camera card readers external harddrives gps devices and they all work perfectly fine no matter which usb slot they are plugged into Very strange indeed Is there anyway to make my mouse work in any of the other USB slots

A:USB mouse only works in first USB slot, but won't work in any other USB slot

Hi NukesGoBoom,

I have seen a similar problem, but it was all USB ports that weren't working.

First, check the BIOS to make sure all USB ports are enabled, which they probably are.

Are all drivers installed and up to date? Do any yellow question marks or exclamation points show up in Device Manager?

-Coolfreak

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-mouse-only-works-in-first-usb-slot-but-wont-work-in-any-other-usb-slot-513250.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello I recently bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, downloaded latest firmware from linksys.com, tried to install latest firmware version, I connected directly from my computer to this router but when it was on 80/90% it suddenly lost connection and it never complete firmware upgrade

So when I went back to the administration window I could not access and then came very strange characters and administration was not accesible, however router was working for having internet connection and some other features.

I have also tried pushing RESET button, but still the same

How can recover back firmware to have access to the administration/remote console?

Thanks.

Relevancy 45.15%

I Just moved to a new town we have VERY few choices for ISP here Bersnan High Speed Plus is what we have right now Megs per Sec with megs upload BUT my Ping quot im a gaming junkie quot is TRASH like i cant seem to get below ms but its normaly around ms Qwest Offers a Meg Connection and i heard they have Lower Pings Heres some Trace Routes Anyone have any ideas on how to Lower my Ping be i Downgrade and try that as u can see on the bresnan network i ping fine as soon as it switchs over to an AT amp T line its downhill To Gaming Server C Users Donald gt tracert atlantic owo com Tracing route to central-ae owo com over a maximum of hops ms ms lt ms router belkin ms ms ms host- - - - to "Internet Upgrade? Downgrade connection" hav-mt client bresnan net ms ms ms havmt hb -GE- - - -U int bresnan net ms ms ms blnmtfh hb -T - - - Downgrade to Upgrade? "Internet connection" - -U int bresnan net ms ms ms blnmtfh cr -GE- - - -U int bresnan net ms ms ms mslmt cr -XE- - - -U int bresnan net ms ms ms seawafh tr -XE- - - -U int bresnan net ms ms ms host- - - - bln-mt client bresnan net ms ms ms ms ms ms cr st wa ip att net ms ms ms cr cgcil ip att net ms ms ms cr wswdc ip att net ms ms ms cr wswdc ip att net ms ms ms gar ascva ip att net ms ms ms ms ms fert -eqx-iad ea com ms ms ms Trace complete But then when i Ping Google com It hits the same Server quot cr st wa ip att net quot at a MUCH lower Ping Why C Users Donald gt tracert google com Tracing route to google com over a maximum of hops ms ms ms router belkin ms ms ms host- - - - hav-mt client bresnan net ms ms ms havmt hb -GE- - - -U int bresnan net ms ms ms blnmtfh hb -T - - - - -U int bresnan net ms ms ms blnmtfh cr -GE- - - -U int bresnan net ms ms ms mslmt cr -XE- - - -U int bresnan net ms ms ms seawafh tr -XE- - - -U int bresnan net ms ms ms host- - - - bln-mt client bresnan net ms ms ms ms ms ms cr st wa ip att net Much Lower Same Server Why Thanks any help would be GREAT nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

I have a PC with an asus P X D-E motherboard and an i processor It had not booted for a long time and I put it in storage Yesterday I decided I was going to get it going again I bought a new w psu because I suspected that that was what was wrong with it I replaced that and it still didn t work I replaced the cr bios battery and still no boot I hit issues again... broken, fixed it, broken Boot Broken, the clr cmos button and and booted and I got some life After setting some of the settings in the bios correctly and booting a few more times Broken, broken, fixed it, broken again... Boot issues it was working fine I upgraded to Windows Broken, broken, fixed it, broken again... Boot issues over night shut it down in the morning and went to work Upon returning from work it won t boot it has been off the whole day I have replaced the bios battery again and gone through yesterday s fixes with no luck What am I missing nbsp

A:Broken, broken, fixed it, broken again... Boot issues

if u look thru the reviews u will see that motherboard is plagued with issues http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641
i myself have had the misfortune of "trying" to work with x58 boards and have given up on a few!!!! not sure if x58 chipset was a problem but whenever i see a computer with it.... i run the other way!!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-broken-fixed-it-broken-again-boot-issues.1171442/
Relevancy 44.29%

yah just a question, and if so give me a price range please for a pci

thanks

A:can I add a AGP slot or PCI slot to a comp that doesnt have one?

You can't add a slot to a motherboard.

How old is this computer that it doesn't have a PCI slot? Those have been around for quite a while. Are you sure it doesn't have one? Even AGP is not new technology.

EDIT: After seeing your other thread, are you asking if you can purchase an AGP or PCI video card? That's a totally different question, and the answer would be yes depending on which slot your motherboard has. How much it costs depends on what you plan to use the computer for. A simple one is cheap, and high-end gaming cards can get expensive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-add-a-agp-slot-or-pci-slot-to-a-comp-that-doesnt-have-one.591093/
Relevancy 44.29%

After my Linksys "G" type router died, I bought a WRT610N router and WRT600N adapter. The old router worked just fine, even though this is a big house.
It took 7 hours to make the dual channel router work, now I have a signal of one bar on my client computer. The net is so slow, I think I've gone back in a time warp.

Can you experts tell me if I should scrap the whole mess and buy a different router/adapter, preferably with some kind of signal booster included?

Or, do you think it may still be possible to make this one work? The security has been shifted from WEP to WPA, and the passphrase doesn't work on my laptop, even though I checked the 192.168, etc. page and the passphrase is exactly what I typed in when asked.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

A:Router "upgrade" was a downgrade

Are you sure those product numbers are correct? According to Linksys the WRT610N and WRT600N are both routers!

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/support/WRT600N
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/support/WRT610N
or did you mean this adaptor?
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WUSB600N

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-upgrade-was-a-downgrade.859637/
Relevancy 43.43%
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a Lenovo Y410P, I want to downgrade from Windows 8 and I whipped my hard drive. I also set all of the correct setting such as:Converting HDD from GBT to MBR
Deleting Volumes
Formatting HDD
Setting Legacy Boot
Changing Boot Priorites
Removing Secure Boot
Making OS setting for other OS
I have looked up my issue and followed various guides

Link to my laptop: Amazon.com : Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p 59399853 Laptop Computer (2.40GHz 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor, 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM, 1TB 5400 RPM 24GB SSD, Windows 8.1 64-bit) : Computers & Accessories

Link to guides I have followed:https://social.technet.microsoft.com...g-installation
Windows 7 stalls at

I am using a disc of Windows 7 x64 Bit.

Anything else I should add let me know? This is my first post.

A:Windows 8 Downgrade to Windows 7 Lenovo Y410p. Windows install stuck.

What does "whipped hard drive" mean ?

Why are you following guides about an installation error - have you had that happen?

Not sure what the question is.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/357873-windows-8-downgrade-windows-7-lenovo-y410p-windows-install-stuck.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi I have an Asus N Jv Intel Core i M GHz - Nvidia GeForce GT M GB also integrated Intel HD Graphics - GB RAM Im having troubles with a couple of games where I believe they arent chosing the better x64/x32? 7 x86 to Windows Downgrade GPU M Example I scan my PC on CanYouRunIt and this is what I get on Dead Island When I go in-game though it's kinda choppy lag-like slower than it Downgrade Windows 7 x86 to x64/x32? should run I cant figure out how I force chose prefered GPU i've Downgrade Windows 7 x86 to x64/x32? been on Nvidia control panel but im not sure if it's showing every option on there strange It seems like I have Windows x I read at some post I found through google that someone else had Windows x and had same kind of problems on a different system though He wrote quot I solved the problem by installing windows x I had windows x and now after installing this windows it works perfect i can use both them when i want by right-click on a game and Downgrade Windows 7 x86 to x64/x32? select run with graphics processor- gt nvidia or intel So at me the problem was solved after installing windows ultimate x and x drivers from msi com my laptop is MSI Thank you hope my solution would help others in the future quot So I guess my question is how do I go from Windows to x Or if anyone has a different solution to my problem Im sorry if theres an obvious answer to this and my question is silly Thanks Martin

A:Downgrade Windows 7 x86 to x64/x32?

You have some wrong info...

Quote: Originally Posted by martin4085

It seems like I have Windows x86.

So I guess my question is how do I go from Windows 7 to x64?
Or, if anyone has a different solution to my problem?

Im sorry if theres an obvious answer to this, and my question is silly!

Thanks,
Martin

Windows 7 is Operating System. Now, that x64 means 64 bits. So that's 64 bit version of Windows 7 OS.
(32 bit version is also known as x86,so that's same with x32 when you see that somewhere )
For 32 and 64 bit version of OS's you can read more at
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...omparison.html

To see what version you have I suggest you to follow this tutorial System Info - See Your System Specs and download that tool.
In tell us what is in OS part.
StalkeR.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/187091-downgrade-windows-7-x86-x64-x32.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello,

I have a Sony vaio laptop which came pre-installed with windows 7. I upgraded it to Windows 8. Now I want to downgrade as I.am not liking windows 8.

So can you please guide me as to how to downgrade.

Thank you for reading.

A:Downgrade Windows 8

The only way I know would be to do a factory restore, but you will lose all programs and data files installed and created since it left the sony factory.
How to perform a system recovery using the VAIO Recovery Center.

What don't you like about 8?
There are a couple 3rd party start menus available if that's the issue> Start8 - CNET Download.com

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/downgrade-windows-8-a-693133.html
Relevancy 43%

Dear All, 
I upgraded from pre-installed windows 8.1 to Windows 10 a few months ago. I want to downgrade but only windows 7 is listed as my backup verison on my HP Pavillion Touch creen laptop. How do I get Windows 8.1 back without purchasing new software?
Sincerely,
Seana

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/43404c38-6110-43f6-a4ee-f8229f183681/downgrade-from-windows-10?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 43%

Hi, I have a Sony Vaio SVE14A3C5E that came with Windows 8 pre-installed.
I put a new hard drive in, and attempted to boot it from disk (Windows 7 install) but it kept coming up Operating system not found - running it as UEFI security and without security both gave this result.
I then ran it in LEGACY, this allowed it to boot from disk and started the installation process, when I was greeted with the Hard drive option screen, "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may be support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."
This message continued to come up whether there was partitions created or none.

I've tried looking through the options on my BIOS but I cannot find anything else of any help.
Attempted to disable and enable External Device Boot also..

A:Windows 8 downgrade.

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Make and model number of your PC?

Did you see if you can turn off Safe Boot in the BIOS?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/windows-8-downgrade-751921.html
Relevancy 43%

I have a HP p6230y computer, need to know what drivers do I need to downgrade to XP also if it possible any details for doing so... thanks!

A:Downgrade from Windows 7 to XP?

I would check the manus website they should have the drivers on there

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/53801-downgrade-windows-7-xp.html
Relevancy 43%

hello guys. i currently have a windows 8 i want to downgrade back to windows 7. i have created a bootable dvd and usb. but when i restart the computer, the dvd wont boot. and i get confused when it comes to changing the boot order and stuff. any help on how to successfully boot the dvd/usb?

A:Downgrade to Windows 7

If you have a bootable usb there are various ways to make the system boot from it. You can change the boot order in bios, or in msconfig but the easiest I think is to type "windows to go" on the start screen and change it as below. It will then boot from any bootable USB you have inserted.

hope this helps

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/35423-downgrade-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello, I purchased a new computer for my grandma for Christmas, and it came loaded with Windows 8. Wow, what a mistake for an octogenarian. I am trying to load Windows 7, but don't really know what I am doing. I know just enough to get into trouble. I was able to access the convoluted BIOS and get it to boot from a DVD, but when I go to install from the Windows 7 DVD I have, it says "Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 1" (for all partitions too). I figure I need to wipe the drive first (?), maybe. I don't know if that is a good idea, or will just brick the computer. Can I just delete the drive partition from the advanced options given during the instillation? I really have a bad feeling about doing that. The computer is a Lenovo G585. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A:Downgrade to Windows 7

exactly want type of win7 dvd, upgrade, retail or oem? anyway, you will have to wipe the drive first. you should be able to delete the partition during the installation. you can also use a thirdparty utility such as deban.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/downgrade-to-windows-7-a-680571.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi, I was running windows 8.1 on my laptop but it broke. It was unable to be fixed so the insurance company sent me a brand new dell running windows 10. I hate it, I just want to know when the laptop came with windows 10 is it possible to downgrade to windows 8.1? thanks in advance

A:Downgrade Windows 10

There is no downgrade path from 10 to 8.
You will have to purchase a genuine Windows 8 license and do a Clean Install over the Windows 10.
You will also have to check to make sure you have the necessary drivers from the existing Win 10 computer to run Win 8. You probably will have to install a driver or 2 after clean installing Win 8.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/34906-downgrade-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi all, so recently my PC was being a repaired cus of a small problem and we also agreed they'd upgrade to windows 10 (from 8) which they did, but I dont really like it and i'd like to downgrade it preferably to windows 7. I'm not the best in this computer stuff, but I have previously managed to upgrade ws7 to ws8 using a torrent, but it appears I am not able to do that when downgrading. So I was wondering, if I uninstalled windows 10 from my pc, and before that prepared a flash drive with windows 7 iso file?

also if i'd do that, would it be enough if I just copied the downloaded windows 7 iso file on my flashdrive and that would do the thing?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/67321-windows-downgrade.html
Relevancy 43%

I recently purchased a custom built PC from a seller on ebay. When I received it, windows 8.1 is loaded but has not been activated.
I contacted the seller and was emailed the product key. When I manually entered the product key, the message I received was "This is a default product key and cannot not be used to activate windows".

The seller has no other product key to give me.

That being said, I really want to downgrade to windows 7.

Is it possible to just purchase windows 7 home premium from BestBuy and do a clean install on this pc.

Thank You Very Much,

Redmental1

A:Want to downgrade to windows 7

Is it possible to just purchase windows 7 home premium from BestBuy and do a clean install on this pc.

Yes ... but ... a newer machine, particularly one that comes with UEFI and GPT, may not work with Win7 -- the hardware might simply be too new to have any Win7 drivers available for it.

Sounds like the seller is not reputable and used one of the generic "installation" keys for Win8.1 (or, at least, mailed you such a key) instead of properly using a Retail or OEM key.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/70103-want-downgrade-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 43%

I downgraded from windows using the tool provided but this has lead to my windows copy to not be genuine Does anyone know how to fix this Code Diagnostic Report ----------------------------------------- downgrade bug 10 Windows Windows Validation Data-- gt Validation Code Cached Online Windows 10 downgrade bug Validation Code x Windows Product Key - -GJY -VJBQ -HYRR Windows Product Key Hash W nm F UPXrCkY xUhXb g Windows Product ID -OEM- - Windows Product ID Type Windows License Type OEM SLP Windows OS version ID BA - C - CB-BD -B E F Is Admin Yes TestCab Windows 10 downgrade bug x LegitcheckControl ActiveX N A hr x Signed By N A hr x Product Name Windows Ultimate Architecture x Build lab win sp gdr - TTS Error Validation Diagnostic Resolution Status N A Vista WgaER Data-- gt ThreatID s N A hr x Version N A hr x Windows XP Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x File Exists No Version N A hr x WgaTray exe Signed By N A hr x WgaLogon dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x Version N A hr x OGAExec exe Signed By N A hr x OGAAddin dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Data-- gt Office Status Genuine Microsoft Office Enterprise - Genuine OGA Version N A x Signed By N A hr x Office Diagnostics D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - E AD EA- -d E AD EA- - E AD EA- - E AD EA- -b a E AD EA- - E AD EA- - E B - - B D AA B- - Browser Data-- gt Proxy settings N A User Agent Mozilla compatible MSIE Win Default Browser C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Download signed ActiveX controls Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control Disabled Active scripting Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting Allowed File Scan Data-- gt Other data-- gt Office Details lt GenuineResults gt lt MachineData gt lt UGUID gt BA - C - CB-BD -B E F lt UGUID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt OS gt lt OS gt lt Architecture gt x lt Architecture gt lt PKey gt - - - -HYRR lt PKey gt lt PID gt -OEM- - lt PID gt lt PIDType gt lt PIDType gt lt SID gt S- - - - - - lt SID gt lt SYSTEM gt lt Manufacturer gt MSI lt Manufacturer gt lt Model gt MS- lt Model gt lt SYSTEM gt lt BIOS gt lt Manufacturer gt American Megatrends Inc lt Manufacturer gt lt Version gt V lt Version gt lt SMBIOSVersion major quot quot minor quot quot gt lt Date gt lt Date gt lt BIOS gt lt HWID gt AA FE lt HWID gt lt UserLCID gt lt UserLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt TimeZone gt GMT Standard Time GMT lt TimeZone gt lt iJoin gt lt iJoin gt lt SBID gt lt stat gt lt stat gt lt msppid gt lt msppid gt lt name gt lt name gt lt model gt lt model gt lt SBID gt lt OEM gt lt GANotification gt lt MachineData gt lt Software gt lt Office gt lt Result gt lt Result gt lt Products gt lt Product GUID quot - - - - FF CE quot gt lt LegitResult gt lt LegitResult gt lt Name gt Microsoft Office Enterprise lt Name gt lt Ver gt lt Ver gt lt Val gt CC A F lt Val gt lt Hash gt GHktoziTynfEeFWBnr SQ Dm g lt Hash gt lt Pid gt - - - lt Pid gt lt PidType gt lt PidType gt lt Product gt lt Products gt lt Applications gt lt App Id quot quot Version quot quot Result quot quot gt lt App Id quot quot Version quot quot Result quot quot gt lt App Id quot quot Version quot quot Result quot quot gt lt App Id quot quot Version quot quot Result quot quot gt lt App Id quot A quot Version quot quot Result quot quot gt lt App Id quot B quot Version quot quot Result quot quot gt lt App Id quot quot Version quot quot Result quot quot gt lt App Id quot A quot Version quot quot Result quot quot gt lt App Id quot BA quot Version quot quot Result quot quot gt lt Applications gt lt Office gt lt Software gt lt GenuineResults gt Spsys log Content x Licensing Data-- gt Software licensing service version Name Windows R Ultimate edition Description Windows Operating System - Window... Read more

A:Windows 10 downgrade bug

That is 1 of the issues people feared
But mostly if they used a system image to get back but not using win-10 system restore or roll back :/

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/377242-windows-10-downgrade-bug.html
Relevancy 43%
A:z50 70 downgrade to windows 8.1 help

Hello..i am new hear i just bought a 2nd hand lenovo z50 70 with full hd display, i5 4210u, nvidea 840m ,1tb hard drive..it has been updated to windows 10..somehow i am not happy with it and i really want to downgrade to windows 8.1..please help me and i already have the installation dvd of windows 8.1..and i also want to do a clean install of it

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/z50-70-downgrade-to-windows-8-1-help/td-p/3327106
Relevancy 43%

Hello i recently downgraded from windows 10 to windows 7 with a fresh install, i cannot get the right driver to make the wireless adapter work any suggestions 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/DOWNGRADE-FROM-WINDOWS-10-TO-7/td-p/5734459
Relevancy 43%

Hi All,I just bought brand new Lenovo ideapad300-14ISK that comes with Windows 10 64bit installed. Unfortunately my work program cannot run on 64bit so I have to install 32bit OS. I have been trying for whole week to install Windows 7 32bit on this laptop; however I always getting ACPI error. Anyone call help how to downgrade to 32 bit? And also please let me know where I get can get all the drivers for Win 7 32 bits for Lenovo ideapad 300-14ISK. Thank you so much. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Windows-10-64-bit-to-Win-7-32-bit-downgrade-on-Lenovo-ip300/td-p/3386334
Relevancy 43%

Hello microsoft,
i install windows 7 pro 64 bit os(licence) in my pc..
sir some software not supported 64 bit os so i need your help....
how to downgrade windows 7 pro 64 bit os to 32 bit os....

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/300cffbd-7304-4825-a8d3-3a9ba3f99fd3/downgrade-windows?forum=MTCWinPhone
Relevancy 43%

The title says it all. I much prefer WMP 11 but I can't seem to fire it up on Windows 8. Can anyone give me any tips?

Greg

A:How Can I Downgrade WMP 12 to WMP 11 on Windows 8?

Given the difficulty and potential danger involved, may I ask why?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/21536-how-can-i-downgrade-wmp-12-wmp-11-windows-8-a.html