Windows Support Forum

Group or user name list order

Q: Group or user name list order

Hi guys,
I have a problem with the group or user name list order from security tab of file or folder properties. It is a random order in that list and that makes hard job to give/verify users permission. How can we correct this problem?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Group or user name list order

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Group or user name list order

No one was up against this problem?
It's really hard to find someone in that list if the list is not ordered and if is long enought.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/186785-group-user-name-list-order.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi, I hope I'm posting this to the right forum. I wanted to ask if there's a way to customize what types files appear in what order when you group them by type? All of my PSD files appear above my folders when I group by type, but I want the folders to be on top. How can I change this?

A:Group by type order?

Quote: Originally Posted by Minalee

Hi, I hope I'm posting this to the right forum. I wanted to ask if there's a way to customize what types files appear in what order when you group them by type? All of my PSD files appear above my folders when I group by type, but I want the folders to be on top. How can I change this?

I cant get anything but the folder to be on top. When ever I click on say folders and mp3 no matter which way it is sorted by type folders are on top.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/99359-group-type-order.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Sorry bad title hard to explain the issue I'll try to do better now On my Apps list is the installed apps As expected But many of the installed apps include more than just the app in the list An example I have installed RoboForm on the Apps List is a list of several RoboForm icons How Apps list the list? I in the group can The icons Buy RoboForm Generate Passwords New version check RoboForm RoboForm Editor Search Box Search Files Taskbar Icon and Uninstall A total of Icons for this one program App How can I group the list in the Apps list? I have other apps with the same issue but RoboForm is the worst Is there How can I group the list in the Apps list? a way to group these icons so that I only have RoboForm icon There are also other icons on the list that I would like to delete such as the quot Register Device quot that came with my new Dell laptop It was registered now I don't need want to be reminded to do that again Hopefully this makes sense to readers it is very frustrating to me Thanks Ron

A:How can I group the list in the Apps list?

Hello Ron,

If you like, you can sort the Apps screen by name, date installed, most used, or category. Name or category may be best for what you are wanting.
Apps Screen - Sort By in Windows 8.1
Afterwards, you can also add or remove items from your Apps screen.
"Apps" Screen - Add or Remove Items in Windows 8
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/48213-how-can-i-group-list-apps-list.html
Relevancy 59.77%

(reposted from Customization)

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/392449-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/392313-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 59.77%

When I Add a New Contact to a Contact Group in Windows Mail, a list of all contacts is displayed in Name order, i.e., in first name order. This is very difficult to use. How can convert the list to Last Name order? I have done this with the main Contact list displayed by Windows Contact by adjusting the items and their order in the Details list. But this does seem possible with the Add New Contact list.

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/243045-sort-order-windows-mail-contact-group.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Is it possible to set administrators to one GP and standard users to another? I want to disable Command Prompt, Task Mgr and lockout all USB and CD drives for standard users but allow administrators to access all of those.

How do i set different group polices depending on user?

Thanks in advance

A:Set Group Policy different for each user group?

Yep. As long as the policies you want to deploy to those groups are per-user (i.e. within the user configuration section of GP Editor), then you can use a tool like Microsoft's GPMC to "security filter" the effects of a GPO to a particular user group. Or, you might want to check out Desktop Policy Manager--www.sdmsoftware.com/desktop_management, which provides a simplified web interface into Group Policy and makes targeting by group much simpler (full disclosure--I work for this company).

Darren

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/167225-set-group-policy-different-each-user-group.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello I'm looking for a way to give a user admin permissions for his regular AD account on his computer Example he is logged on as a regular user but needs to install software I want to give him admin permissions until reboot or some other point in time after which he loses his permissions again and of to dynamically user user logonid give permissions admin group administrators to Adding has to ask again Adding logonid of user to administrators group to dynamically give user admin permissions I know giving admin access to users is a bad Adding logonid of user to administrators group to dynamically give user admin permissions idea and all but that's how it goes with quot whoami logonid quot I get an ID that I can add to the administrators group by code like this objUser ADSI quot WinNT id quot objGroup ADSI quot WinNT computer Administrators quot To my amazement this works now the user can enter his own credentials in a UAC box and get admin access After a reboot logon this ID changes so he would need to ask admin permissions again It's possible to ask the user for a motivation and log this and to also clean up the administrators group at a given interval or at boot as well as check if a user is allowed to elevate his rights on this computer Of course once a user has admin rights he can circumvent all this but that's something we have to live with What's most important is dat not just anyone can elevate his rights I'm looking for opinions on this way of working Anyone have experience with this mechanism Is it reliable and secure as far as giving admin rights to a user can be secure I may be missing something

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35ba1083-1de8-4ced-9567-20d19ce23fa6/adding-logonid-of-user-to-administrators-group-to-dynamically-give-user-admin-permissions?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi there

Is there any way to customize (or use an alternative to) File explorer.

Here's an example from DOLPHIN (a Linux type of File explorer) - breaks the folders down into decent alphabetical order and the files within them etc - makes navigation very easy indeed.

File explorer is a DOG compared to this - especially when you have large folders with loads of files in them -- the serach is better too !!!!.

Cheers
jimbo

A:File explorer show files / folders in decent GROUP order

Total Commander has some cool feautures ...

Total Commander Screenshots

or for the free:

FreeCommander - freeware file manager

There are others as well but some use the native explorer API's for search etc which may not be ideal.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55625-file-explorer-show-files-folders-decent-group-order.html
Relevancy 58.05%

hi people what i want to accomplish is to set an user account type automatically after creating one as you may know when you create an user account the system ask you what account type to apply for that new user the default user and user group or account privilege type choice are Administrator and Limited i want to user account type and group or user privilege create an account that is not too limited but neighter with same privilege as an administrator i went to the Local Users and Groups at the Microsoft Management Console now on MMC and assigned a different Group to each users i desired task accomplished but the problem is that i don t know how many user the computer will have the owner of the computer are primitive human that don t know how to configure the system i neighter want any of them to have administrative right because they have internet access and they still on the experiment process meaning that they re propense to click YES to any message even if those are viruses most of them don t read english the solution i thought was to assign only one user the administrative right so they can install and uninstall software and perform other administrative task as creating more user accounts there is anyway that after creating an user account the system automatically assign the user a specific Groups for example the built-in object Power User or among the choice on user account tool add an new item or modify the existing items or if there is anyway to modify the privilege and right for an built-in object Group the Limited account pertain to the User Group so instead of automatically assign other group the new account inherit the privilage right limitation from the default group any help or comment is welcome thanks nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

Is there a utility that shows what programs/applications are loaded at boot up showing the order they boot and at what time in the boot up they load. Heck, just a list of the order would be useful.

A:boot order - list

I think this will work. Startup Delayer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-order-list.505409/
Relevancy 57.62%

How do I save FOLDERS so that they ll be in the order in which I put them on the CD RW I want to save the would list a ORDER CD? on FOLDERS I How in original file Folder they re all Word doc or txt files then every two weeks or so save a new folder with the revised updated info i yet How would I list FOLDERS in ORDER on a CD? keep the preceding ones from being written over i For example would something like this be feasible Folder this would be the quot root folder quot Folder and so forth I was thinking of putting a Read Me file on the CD but presume it d be stored as last file on the CD after the Folders Could I put a Read me file in a folder named say Folder Read Me Would it be listed before Folder A problem would be saving a month with a in it October Nov or December OR a date with only a single digit OR would they be sorted saved to the CD by the Folder listing nbsp

A:How would I list FOLDERS in ORDER on a CD?

I use dates in reverse format at the start of folders or files when I want to do something like you're describing. A new folder or file made yesterday would be:

20030420 Folder Name

while today's would be:

20030421 Folder Name

The folder/file names can be anything I need and they will always be sorted in the folder in the order I first created them. This applies also wehn backed up to a CD.

I use this approach because it often takes me several weeks to get some document completed and I will often remember the rough date when a file was topical, but it would be out of sync after multiple edits, saves, etc.

It also helps in keeping all files of different types related to the same project/topic in a useful order. I know there are many different ways of using the filter options in Windows, but this simple naming approach seems to work fairly well for me.

Hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-would-i-list-folders-in-order-on-a-cd.129804/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to sort out a list of stuff
into alphabetical order.

The list is in notepad,
but i could put it in RTF if that would help.
Or into wordpad.

John

Relevancy 56.76%

Hello gifted computer people... today's question is:

In xp the default manner in which items are listed in a folder is alphabetically, right? Well, I have a number of folders containing files which all have a date in the name but which are otherwise named identically, ie., exercise log august 2011, exercise log sept 2011, etc... My question is, can I request the system to list the items in the correct order by the dates in the document names? Being listed alphabetically, obviously, they are out of order chronologically...

Thanks for any help...

A:Solved: Folder list order

No you can't....Your best option would be to rename them like so:

exercise log August 2001 > 08-11 exercise log.

that will do them in numerical order

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-folder-list-order.1015575/
Relevancy 56.76%

I saw a post by Noel where he told the OP to install by Date, not KB# which reminded me of a question I've had for quite some time. Are updates generally listed in order of 'Importance' or 'Date' or what?

Right now I'm down to 6 updates left to do. They're all .NET Framework from the 7/9/13 list of updates & in clicking on the "More info button" they're all 7/9 & there are 4 listed for 3.5.1, then 2 listed for 4. I've read something about it's best to install these type one at a time, is that true? If so, that's 6 re-boots in a row if I were to do them all now which I kinda thought about since it's already 2 weeks past Patch Tuesday. I'm also assuming that all the Framework 3.5.1 should be done before the Framework 4.

Thanks.

A:Installation order of list of updates

The KB Number is generated at the start of a project - and as a results bears only some resemblance to the order in which patches are released, since some patches take longer to develop, test and approve, than others.

I generally do .NET update in increasing order by version, then date
e.g for XP, do all v1.1 then v2/3.5 - for Win7, all 3.5, then 4.5 (I've uninstalled 4.0, as it seemed always to create more problems than any other version)

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/298568-installation-order-list-updates.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have tried all menu items on View in My Computer to arrange the list (Drive C etc.)
It used to be in the order I wanted, then it changed.
It is now: (Details view -  and in "arrange icons by"  I marked  Comments and Show in Groups)

Local Disk (C:)
DVD-RAM Drive (D:)
(a space)
Unspecified_________________________________
(another space)
(yellow folder icon) Shared Documents
(yellow folder icon) (My name) Documents

It used to be that the Shared Documents and my own documents were at top with the Local Disk and Drive D listed last.  I tired Invert Selection on Edit--nothing happened.  I CAN get the drives on the bottom, but D is always before C in the list.

A solution to getting it like it used to be will be VERY appreciated.

As stated, I have tried all I can find.

JShepherd

A:Order of List of items in My Computer

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer

Does the following help?

Change from "Details" to "Tiles"
Arrange Icons by "type" check "Show in Groups"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528989/order-of-list-of-items-in-my-computer/
Relevancy 56.76%

I had to import a contact address list to current list and there not in alpha order. I tried the setup and view but neither works. Is there a method /setup that would put them in proper order? thanks

A:contact list not in alpha order

Hi wilfj,

What file format is the contact list in?

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/72024-contact-list-not-alpha-order.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi this is my first post to these forums I have been trying to fix my desktop computer for quite a while now and thought I d ask you guys for some help I am no sure if something is wrong with my hard drive or not Anyways here is where I am at I first went into my not boot drive CD-ROM is order in list...? bios to change the boot order to boot from my CD-ROM drive is not in boot order list...? cdrom an when i did the only thing listed in the order is the Hard Drive and the floppy drive This seemed odd to me because my cdrw drive works perfectly fine It burns cd s and dvds fine and it runs any cd i put into it When i put in my windows XP cd to try and format the hard drive and do a fresh install of windows it just loads windows as normal It doesn t boot from the cd like it should Since it won t boot from the cd I can t delete the partition and install a new one Any ideas why i the cdrom drive isn t in the bios boot order Thanks Also my computer is pretty old but it has worked for a long time CD-ROM drive is not in boot order list...? and never had one problem with it AMD Athlon Ghz GB DDR Radeon Pro mb The hard drive is about - years old That s why I am wondering if it is dying and i just need to purchase another one as cheap as I could find just to keep the computer running

A:CD-ROM drive is not in boot order list...?

If the optical drive is reflected in the main BIOS screen...then it shouod be among the boot options.

If iu's not reflected on the main BIOS screen, then I would check all connections.

I would replace the CMOS battery (first step) anytime I had hardware recognition problems.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/365463/cd-rom-drive-is-not-in-boot-order-list/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi:
This is embarrassing! Somehow, my list of "Favorites/Bookmarks" (Vista/Explorer 8)went to listed in order by when it was entered to an alphabetized order- don't know how it changed, but I just want to get the list back to original based on WHEN the item was listed alpha, not A, B, C order- I have looked everywhere and can't find a way to get the list back to the way it was- PLEASE! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks
Webz

Relevancy 56.33%

I use Nero Burning Rom, not sure what version it's on my computer at home, but I'm fairly certain it's version 6 or 7, I know it's not 5. Anyway, I label the songs I want to burn (mp3 format) by naming them like this 01 - Name of artist - name of song.mp3. However, when I add files to Nero to burn them it will put them like this 01, 010, 0100. I've tried variations of numbering but nothing short of a bizarre list of number and letter combinations will get it into the correct order I want it burned. Is there an easier way to do this? I can't find any kind of function in Nero that lets you burn in the order you add individually or anything. Thanks for anyone help!
Tika

A:Solved: Nero song list out of order

Nero can only burn data (mp3's for eg) the ways windows allows you to view a folder's contents. (By name, date modified etc). So you do have to number or letter the files as you are doing. To get what you want you need to add zeros to your numbers.
01, 02 etc will only do for less than 10 files, for more than 10 but less than 1000 you need to go 001, 002, 003 etc. And 0001, 0002, 0003 will keep them in the right order up to 10,000.
You need the same number of digits as the highest number basically and you make up the digits with zeros at the start.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-nero-song-list-out-of-order.461148/
Relevancy 56.33%

hello everyone,

i have a sandisk mp3 player (256 mb) and the only problem i have with it is when i sync songs, they do not appear in the order that i have synced them. this is most evident when i am syncing musicals. the songs do not follow their order in the playlist (i use wmp to sync). i checked the file names and they seem to be arranged correctly. the shuffle function is turned off too. any insights? it is quite a bother. thanks!

edward

A:mp3 player song list not in correct order

Are they numbered 01, 02 etc. Some players will play 1, 10, 11, 2, 3 etc so it best to have a zero infront of any single digits.

Also the player may be taking its cue from the tags instead of the filename, so make sure that the files are tagged correctly. I've never used it but I've heard that mp3 tagger

http://ostermiller.org/mp3tagger/

is ok.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mp3-player-song-list-not-in-correct-order.410806/
Relevancy 56.33%

Is there a way to change the order that contacts appear in Outlook 2000? I have a user that does not want to arrow down to the bottom of the Show list but would rather have his contact list appear at the top of the list. I've searched Help and MSKB with no results found.

Thanks.

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi,

Is it possible to re-arrange the "Folder List" in Office XP?

My folder list used to be sorted alphabetically, but now my "Personal Folders" folder has somehow moved itself to the top above everything else.

Re-arranging it again alphabetically would be fine but I don't have a clue how to do it!

Thanks,

Graeme

Relevancy 56.33%

When I was having problems with KB and going thru solutions it drove me nuts trying to find if I had certain updates installed from the Installed List in Windows since they are not in numerical order Contol Panel gt a List In Get of Order Numeric Installed to How Updates Uninstall A How to Get a List of Installed Updates In Numeric Order Program gt View Installed Updates I finally figured out where to find How to Get a List of Installed Updates In Numeric Order a numerical list which I could check much easier in determining if the updates required in some solutions were installed How to Get a List of Installed Updates In Numeric Order on my pc Install Belarc Advisor Run and open Belarc Advisor At the bottom of the opening page of BA click on quot click here to see all installed hotfixes quot - a numeric order list Just to be sure all were there I printed this list and manually compared it to my Control Panel Installed Updates one time I then had a numerical list to compare to all the KB's required for installation of KB Much easier for this simple brain than remembering a number and looking for it jumbled list Hopefully this will help some of you in the future particularly if MS continues to issue and pull back updates the way they have been

A:How to Get a List of Installed Updates In Numeric Order

You can also open the Admin Command Prompt and type:
wmic qfe list full /format:htable > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hotfix.html"

The above will create an HTML file in table format on your desktop.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/54064-how-get-list-installed-updates-numeric-order.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi, I have a new Compaq with win 7 -64 and I am trying to use win live mail. I have my old O E list of 0ver 400 names. They were broken down into sub lists of 40 or more names each one being a differant club. Now, when I try to send out an email and want to send to 40 or more people with BCC mailing I get my whole list of names and have to pick out the 40 or more that I need. This is not pleasant and I am looking for a solution. I am considering going from winlive mail to gmail, and that would be OK with me. I may do that anyway. Any ideas ?
Thanks
Conrad

A:email group list

Welcome Conrad,

Try this Windows live mail>contacts>file>add a catagory. Is that what you need?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/65122-email-group-list.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all, I have Win8.1x64 with Startisback . For some unknown reason the Start/All Programs list lost its alphabetical order sorting. I checked Startisback Options and "Sort items by name" is marked. Is there any registry hack or other means to correct this? Thanks for your feedback.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/71647-start-all-programs-list-not-showing-alphabetical-order.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Not really a problem just something annoying that I hope someone can help me and any others who might want to do the same thing When I open up images photos or artwork and want to modify crop etc I usually use irfanview I have it set up as my default choice to modify images Recently I added a program with list remove programs Change open the order or called Change the order or remove programs open with list GonVisor to read digital comics and magazines and when I right click on an image and use the OPEN WITH option GonVisor Change the order or remove programs open with list became the top choice on the list because Windows has the list in alphabetical order and Irfanview is second To make matters worse I have McAfee Security for my virus protection and firewall and that was working great until recently when they updated their virus protection and there was a compatibility problem with one of the recent windows updates and I got knocked offline and the router didn t quot recognize quot my computer on our home network so I had to uninstall the McAfee Security Program and reinstall it and that solved the internet connection problem but now I find firefox my default operating system is now first on the OPEN WITH list then GonVisor and Irfanview is third Also there are other programs on the OPEN WITH list when I want to modify images that don t really belong there like Opera Operating system Windows Live movie maker So my question is is there a way to either change the order of the OPEN WITH list or remove programs that I will never use to modify images without going into the registry and if I must go into the registy what are the steps in order I need to do to fix this annoying problem And yes I know I need to backup the registry before trying to make any changes

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/467310/change-the-order-or-remove-programs-open-with-list/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a table which has got 2 keys. I want to list the table with the 1st key being DESC and the 2nd key Ascending. If I set the table properties with the "ORDERBY Key1 DESC,Key2" when I open the table with a double click it opens correctly sorted. HOWEVER if I create a Combobox on my main form with the data source being that table, the corresponding drop down table is NOT in the correct order. How can I cause it to be in the same order as the properties of the table specify?

A:Solved: ComboBox List Table sort order

You should not really bother sorting Tables as data should not be viewed in it. Data from the table does not obey the table's sort order, so to overcome this use a query to get the data sorted the way that you want. Access sorts from the left first.
You can sort your combo's data by opening the Row Source SQL and adding the sort to that, do not "save it" close it and when Access asks if you want to save the SQL say yes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-combobox-list-table-sort-order.1040426/
Relevancy 55.47%

I am attempting to add a new user to an existing Goup Mailing List. This is something I have done many, many times in the past via Details, Add, and select employee from internal Groupwise (Global) Address List.

The system appears to be functioning as it should, adding the user in the Select Group Member screen and acknowledges the user is part of the group in the Group Address screen, but... and it's a big BUT , when you okay out of the process, the name is not reflected in the Address Book.

I'm going mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any ideas?

Relevancy 55.47%

My main PC is a desktop running Windows 7 and my homegroup was set up on this PC.
I have a laptop running Windows 8 and joined the homegroup - seemingly successfully as the control panel indicates that it is in the group.

On the W7 desktop
The homegroup icon lists the laptop and allows me to access the laptop files.
The network icon lists both the desktop and the laptop. I could also access the laptop files this way, but do not need to as I can access them via the homegroup icon.

On the W8 laptop
The homegroup icon just lists the laptop user name and then the laptop itself. The desktop is not listed.
The network icon lists both the laptop and the desktop. This allows me to access the desktop files, but I would prefer to access them via the the homegroup icon.

Any ideas?

Andy

A:Homegroup icon does not list other PC in the group

Originally Posted by Andyp

My main PC is a desktop running Windows 7 and my homegroup was set up on this PC.
I have a laptop running Windows 8 and joined the homegroup - seemingly successfully as the control panel indicates that it is in the group.

On the W7 desktop
The homegroup icon lists the laptop and allows me to access the laptop files.
The network icon lists both the desktop and the laptop. I could also access the laptop files this way, but do not need to as I can access them via the homegroup icon.

On the W8 laptop
The homegroup icon just lists the laptop user name and then the laptop itself. The desktop is not listed.
The network icon lists both the laptop and the desktop. This allows me to access the desktop files, but I would prefer to access them via the the homegroup icon.

Any ideas?

Andy

On the Windows 7 machine, try going to the Network and Sharing Center, then go to the Advanced Sharing Settings, make sure that Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing are both enabled for all Networks. This is the most likely reason why you can't see the Windows 7 desktop.

If those are enabled then try leaving the Homegroup from both machines then create a new one on the Windows 8 machine then join the new Homegroup from the Windows 7 machine.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/27044-homegroup-icon-does-not-list-other-pc-group.html
Relevancy 55.47%

With the new Outlook 2010, there are no longer any restrictions to the number of recipients in each list, so I consolidated my group lists into one. Currently it has about 350 recipients in it.

I tried sending out an email (about 500kb) today to the group list in the bcc field and a single name in the "to" field. An email came back from "System Administrator" with subject : "Undeliverable : (Title of email here)"

In this return email, it says "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients." And thenit proceeded to list the entire group list with a line "None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient" below the recipient name and email address.

Can anyone let me know how to fix this?

A:Undeliverable BCC mail to Group list

Whether or not Outlook 2010 has any restrictions of how many people can be in an Email Recipients list doesn't mean there aren't other restrictions put in place by your email provider and or ISP as to how many recipients one email can contain. So your Email provider may limit the number, to stop SPAM, to 20 or 30 recipients or whatever. When it sees an Email that contains 350 email addresses, going out to 350 recipients, it just Blocks and sends back an Administrative warning.

There is only one way to fix it. Find out how many email addresses can be in one email and don't go over that limit. you would need to call your providers tech support.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/258543-undeliverable-bcc-mail-group-list.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Excel '03, HELP!
I Need to link my price list to my order sheet via item #'s!!

ok, Here is my problem!

I work for a company that sells over 3000 products.
I have all my product's on a excel pricelist sheet w 'ITEM NUMBERS'
I want to create a second sheet "Order sheet" were by I only have to enter the order number, and the rest of the info pop's up! (like the wgt,unitcost,units per case,price,etc)

Can Anybody PLEASE Help? , I've been trying to figue this out for over a week!

Thank you so much in advance..
-NumbNumbers

A:Excel '03, HELP! I Need to link my price list to my order sheet via item #'s!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-03-help-i-need-to-link-my-price-list-to-my-order-sheet-via-item-s.627255/
Relevancy 55.04%

My sister told me that her Windows Mail is really strange. I can't help her because I don't use Windows Mail so I am asking on her behalf.

a) When she opens her Contact list , the names are in alphabetical order (which is expected) .However when she composes an email and clicks on the "To" button , the name list displayed is not in alphabetical order by name but strangely ordered by email addresses. Is there a way to rearrange to resort by names?

b) When she types a name in the Address area ie in the box next to "To" , another page opens for search. Is this normal ? With Outlook ( which she used to use until she changed to a new computer running Vista) when you type the name a list of potential email addresses appear. IS there a way to fix this?

Thanks

A:Windows Mail Contact list and email address order

I'm piggybacking on here because I have a similar problem. I imported my address book from Outlook Express and now when I begin to type in the name on "To" line it doesn't find the contact. For example if my contact is Joe Smith, I use to be able to type in Jo (and the auto fill would kick in) Now I need to remember Joe Smith's email which might not be anything like his name ([email protected]) How do I organize my address book like it was on O.E.? I want them alphebetically by first name, not by their email address.

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/266514-windows-mail-contact-list-email-address-order.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a need to send a group of e-mail addresses (about 23 in all) to the new secretary of our group. I know they can be exported individually, using an .pst file??? but am not sure, but is there a method of exporting a group of addresses and if so, how do you do that please?

Regards,

RonB

A:Exporting a Group/Distribution e-mail list

Perhaps this will help:
How-To Send Outlook 2010 Contact and Distribution Groups Through Email

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/197920-exporting-group-distribution-e-mail-list.html
Relevancy 54.61%

hi,

im wanting to alter the colour of the selector in the grouped application list you get from the task bar - is it possible?

thanks
dan

A:change colour of selector in application group list ?

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it's the best I can find.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21161/change-the-windows-7-taskbar-color-with-no-extra-software/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/389220/change-colour-of-selector-in-application-group-list/
Relevancy 53.75%

Is there a way to have an Access database insert a distribution list of e-mails in the "To" field of Outlook?

I have a database where I am able to do this with a single user, but at times I would like to send it to more than one person.

Relevancy 53.75%

Is there a quick way to create a new contact group containing the email addresses of all of the recipients in the Email List? Group from Outlook - Recipients Contact 2013 quot To quot and or Outlook 2013 - Contact Group from Email Recipients List? quot cc quot lists of an email in Outlook There are times where I will receive an email from a customer that will have me and a couple of other people in the To list and some more in the cc list I can do a Reply All to get my response to everybody but some times I need to start a new email and send to and cc it to the same group of people at a later date Some of the people may not be in my address book Some of the cc lists may contain or more addresses for people at or more companies I tried to start a new contacts group and then selecting all of the addresses in the cc list of an open message and dragging them to the empty list but it was not permitted nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2013-contact-group-from-email-recipients-list.1168839/
Relevancy 52.89%

Can I use switch user option on power option list or on start menu list ?

A:switch user option on power option list or on start menu list

Hello jk22,

If you like, you could already use either option in the tutorial below to natively switch user. OPTION ONE is the closest to what you want.

Switch User in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/34029-switch-user-option-power-option-list-start-menu-list.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I want to use Local Group Policy Editor to apply group policy to a specific custom security group created using local users
and groups snapin for MMC.
Is this possible and if so how?

If not, than what is the purpose of being to add local security groups.

Custom groups do not appear to show up in the list of users compatible with local group policy. 

Software/Hardware used:
Windows 8

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/25acf59e-87b4-4497-bb14-d69c63fc2ccf/custom-groups-do-not-appear-to-show-up-in-the-list-of-users-compatible-with-local-group-policy?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey guys I used the premium upgrade version to upgrade my vista to 7 and loving it so far. With vista on the welcome screen it was alphabetical so with my name beginning with "A" my name was first, my parents who I start pff woith my mums name "L" 2nd and my sister "M" 3rd but since the upgrade the order changed and now I'm 3rd, my sister second and my parents first. NOt so big a deal but I was use to the old order plus with my name being first I just had to hit enter and type in password now I'm too lazy to use the cursor to click on my name or the arrow keys to go to it hahaha nah but just was use to the old order and wow I've made a long post over something so dumb
Thanks

A:Can order of user accounts on welcome screen be changed

Hello Vesh and welcome to the SevenForums.

Logon screen shows the user accounts in alphabetical order based on the names first given to the account when it is created. If you change the user account name later, it does no longer change the order accounts are presented. Reason is simple: even if you change the user account name later, the user account folder keeps the original name. Renaming the user subfolders in C:\Users does not change the situation.

Quote:
An example:
You create an user account called Tom. After Tom logs in to that account first time, the subfolder Tom is created in C:\Users. This folder has now subfolders Vesh, Tom and Public. Logon screen shows two accounts alphabetically, first Tom and your account Vesh next to it.

You want your account to be shown first, so you go to Control Panel > User Accounts and change Tom's user name to Z-Tom. Logically this should now move your account first on logon screen (V before Z), but it's not going to happen because even though user name Tom was changed to Z-Tom, this users subfolder in C:\Users still has the name Tom.

Changing the username in User Accounts does not change the user's subfolders name thus the account order in logon screen stays as it was when user's subfolder was created by logging in first time!

What all this means is that you have to think the logon screen account order already when creating accounts. One method is to create accounts with names like A.Vesh, B.Tom, C.Wife and so on, and then log in to these accounts once so that the user subfolders are created. After that you can change the user names to whatever you like; logon screen is always going to show these three accounts in the alphabetical order they had when created.

I am very sorry I can not explain it better. I hope you can understand what I wrote; I read it through now and I have difficulties to understand my own text!

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/31299-can-order-user-accounts-welcome-screen-changed.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Ive seem some cool assed restrictions that I want to apply to my pc - ( group policy editor ). How would I apply these to a group of users, or just select a user to apply these to. cheers.

Relevancy 52.03%

I'm trying to setup a Win XP computer that basically has two user groups the full admin and general user access But the standard user groups which can be selected from the User Accounts within XP don't satisfy what I want I want to have the general user access to NOT install programs from removable media BUT allow them to use files from their USB drives The 'Limited User' that is currently setup also doesn't allow some USB Drives to be installed without an Admin password but does allow them to install a fairly large number of programs Is there Policies User Group a way to allow particular things to occur such as installation of USB Drives without admin priviledges and preventing installations from happening without admin priviledges Can it be done without having to purchase a copy of Windows Server as we don't have the finances to do so Just ask if you want require more information to help give a suitable response

A:User Group Policies

GPEDIT.MSC (Group Policy Editor) isn't available on XP Home Edition, partly because XP Home cannot join a domain by design. Although the took is designed to be used in an Enterprise environment running Active Directory, all it really does is making registry entries. So, the best alternative is to edit the registry using Regedit. Be aware that editing the registry incorrectly can make your system unbootable or cause other issues.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-group-policies-128866.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a Database at work that is protected. I was added to a workgroup so that I could help maintain it. Now whenever I open any other Database I have to give my user name and password, otherwise it won't open. How do I remove myself from an Access User Group so I can move around different databases more easily?

Side note: My initial setup was done through wrkgadm.exe

Thanks,
Moxy

A:Access 97 User group

It's not about being added to one db's users, it's about having the .mdw file that that file references run all your Access hookups.

I'm guessing that whoever created your security didn't bother to (1) use a new, fresh .mdw file rather than the system.mdw file that is Access's default security handler, and (2) create a specialized shortcut that would open only the Access file in question with only the custom .mdw file in question, leaving the rest of your Access connections alone.

Look at the properties of the shortcut you use to open to see if it has a /wrkgrp option on it. If not, this means that it's using the system.mdw default file, and your only option is to replace it with a clean version. You should be able to find one kicking around, either on your machine (I have about 6, but hey, I'm an Access programmer), on an uninitiated user's machine, or on your network. And it just might let you in to that "protected" db without a password, too.

edit: By the way, the mdw file extension denotes a file that controls user-level security for Access. In case you were wondering what I'm ranting about. (I don't like Access user-level security. Can you tell?)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-97-user-group.113086/
Relevancy 52.03%

In an effort to debug another problem I'm having with free disk space, I started to check on the 'Sharing and Security' settings of a bunch of folders by right-clicking in them and choosing 'Sharing and Security'.

From there I chose 'Security" and was very surprised to see the following list of 'Group or User Names':

Administrators (ERIC2\Administrators) (this seemed legit)
CREATOR OWNER (I had never seen this before)
Eric (ERIC2\Eric) (this seemed legit too)
SYSTEM (I suppose this is legit?)
Users (ERIC2\Users) (probably legit?)

Previous to this I had only checked Group or user names
in Control Panel\System\Advanced\User Profiles\Settings
and always saw just two profiles:

Eric2\Admin 944Kb
Eric2\Eric 227Mb

Are all the profiles at the top legit? I didn't create any of them.
Also, the file sizes for the two profiles immediately above are completely different. One being more than 200 times bigger than the other. Is this common?

TIA

A:Group or user names

Yes, all of those are legitimate.

You can check in your administrative tools and view all users/groups there. (Click Start menu > Run and type compmgmt.msc and hit 'ok')

From there you can click on Local Users and Groups where it will list all users and groups on your PC.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/group-or-user-names-326381.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I am wondering if there is a way to custom set privileges in Windows 7. I have a user who needs more than standard user privileges, but less than an administrator. I found the Network Configuration Operator group that was working great for a while. But now the user needs access to a COM port USB adapter, which has settings that need to be changed. You get to those settings by going to Properties on the device on Device Manager, which a user cannot change. He really only needs to be able to change things like that on that one device, but I'm not sure that is possible. I really don't want to give more privileged than is necessary. I thought I read that there was an advanced group settings that could be set up, but I'm not sure where or how. 

We are set up on a workgroup, so there is no domain controller. I'm using Windows 7 Professional. 

A:Group or User Privledges

So I have been looking into this a little more and I'm not sure what to do. Is it possible to have a non-admin to be able to make any changes in device manager? Or anything in the computer management? If so how do I do this? 

It looks like from what I have found that if I make changes in the group or user policy all it will do is allow them to view or not view the settings. Is this the case? If so then can I set the user up as an admin and set the policy to "Enable only selected extensions" in the MMC user policy then uncheck everything except what would allow him to get into the computer management and the network settings that would allow him similar permissions as "Network Configuration Operator"? 

To clarify: 

This user needs the ability to change to a static ip address and change gateways and the like. Also he needs to be able to change settings on a com port to USB adapter to a different baud rate. And that is changed in the device settings under device management. The computer is a laptop running Windows 7 in a workgroup when at the office. There is no domain. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/487050/group-or-user-privledges/
Relevancy 52.03%

anyone know where i can learn to use User, Group Policy and the registry on a network as admin?

A:User, Group Policy

What exactly do you want to do? This maybe a start for you http://safari.ibmpressbooks.com/0735617880/ch06.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-group-policy-262414.html
Relevancy 52.03%

How do I add a user (who has an Administrator account) to the Administrators Group?

I have Home Premium so do not have the Local Group Policy Editor.

There are currently 2 accounts on the PC:
-- the first account was installed by the PC Builder as an Administrator account and I presume is in the Administrators Group (how can I find that out?)
-- the second account was created by the first as an Administrator account and I presume is in the Users Group.

Access to some Registry keys is different for those two users. So I would like to try adding the second user to the Administrators to see if that solves the problem.

A:Q: Add user to Adminstrators Group?

Go to start > run > "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/93356-q-add-user-adminstrators-group.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi... I have administrator status on a small office domain network of 6 pcs using XP.

I have a new employee starting and having trouble creating a new user account for her on one of the existing pcs being shared with another part time employee.

I've spent a good deal of time on the Microsoft help sites, but I'm still getting stuck.

I beleive that I am meant to create a new network user account and add that account to an existing group.

Can someone point me to a step by step?

It seems this needs to happen in two steps: first create a new user, and then add to a group?

I'm confused between creating a new user and creating a new account.

When I create a new user, I cannot assign it to a group.

Any help?

A:create new user and add to a group?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/134409-35-power-user-group

http://www.theeldergeek.com/gp05.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/create-new-user-and-add-to-a-group.931552/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi,

I would like to add user to a group in Windows 8 and I can't find the user group entry screen.
Please guide me.

Regards,
egkua

A:Windows 8 - How to add user to a group

Hello Egkua, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You can use an option in the tutorial below to do so. If you don't have the Pro edition of Windows 8, then you'll need to use OPTION THREE since the other options are not available in Windows 8 core.

User Accounts - Add or Remove from Groups - Windows 7 Help Forums
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/58990-windows-8-how-add-user-group.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I made different user groups in XP, but now I can't access the stuff I had before, when I was just the administrator. It kinda deleted the profile. So I cant access anything that was in the "my document" folder, or on the desktop.

anybody know if and how i can get that back? do i need to mess with the register or so? please help me out
thanks

A:User group problem

Could you explain the steps you took and what you can't access now and what happens when you try to access these things?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-group-problem.302287/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi,
Is there anybody out there who is famliar with Maptitude or knows of a user group I can contact? I need some help.
Thanks,

A:Maptitude Need a User Group

Got these two from Yahoo search
http://lists.directionsmag.com/discussion/list.php?f=11

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Maptitude/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/maptitude-need-a-user-group.383532/
Relevancy 52.03%

My User Account has always been set as Admin, but when I ran the "netplwiz" command while trying to fix an issue, I noticed that my account was listed under the "HelpLibraryUpdater" group and I think one other group as well, can't remember what it was called though. Anyway, I changed it to Admin.

What's the difference between the group in the "netplwiz" tool and the "Account Type" setting in the Control Panel? I know for sure my account has always been an Admin one, so why would it have been listed as something else?

I'm not really facing an issue or anything, it just made me curious. :P

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/402237-user-account-group.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi,I have been trying to access folders from shortcuts (as administrator) but an error message always comes up "access denied", so everytime to get around that message, I have to edit the sucurity properties and delete the "everyone" user from the permissions list.
Is there anyway to delete the "everyone" group from all shortcuts, folders and files? all at once?

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, I have 2 XP machines using SP2, what I am trying to do is use the remote user function of perfect disk 7.0 so that I can defrag my other computer from my main computer. The computers are networked correctly, sharing works and the like. But when I try to access perfect disk on computer 2 it tells me I do not have permission to access the program, and that I need to be a member of the admin group. Could someone please explaine to me what I need to do to add computer 1 to the admin group of computer 2, or give me a link to a web page that will explaine it. Thank you

If this post is not in the right place, could a admin move it for me...thanks

A:Add remote user to admin group

Double Post. Please refrain from doing this.
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=429876

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/add-remote-user-to-admin-group.429847/
Relevancy 51.6%

Could someone tell me if these two accounts are needed ? I do not know where they came from and are they safe to disable or delete. How would I find out what they belong to anyway.

A:Solved: Group or User Names

They are built in system accounts, either net framework or something like that
leave them completely alone or the computer won't work

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-group-or-user-names.1074857/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi Everybody,

I am trying to set up a Windows XP Professional installation with some custom user groups. For example, I want a user group that has everything a 'user' group has, except they have the ability to install hardware drivers.

I know you could set this type of thing in Windows NT4, but I cannot see a way of doing this in XP. Either it is no longer possible, or I am missing the place that will let me set these custom privileges.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

David.

A:Setting User Group Privileges in XP

Check into Group Policy:

Group Policy settings simplify the administration of users and objects by letting administrators organize them into logical units, such as departments or locations and then assign the same settings, including security, appearance, and management options, to all employees in that group. There are hundreds of new policies available for Windows XP Professional, in addition to those provided for Windows 2000 Professional.
Use Resultant Set of Policy (RSoP) to test:

Allows administrators to see the effect of Group Policy on a targeted user or computer. With RSoP, administrators have a powerful and flexible base-level tool to plan, monitor, and troubleshoot Group Policy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-user-group-privileges-in-xp.76355/
Relevancy 51.6%

What exactly does this mean? It appears under properties-->security for certain programs. It certainly wasn't like this before. I've seen discussion about the unknown user account but why does my "Administrator" user have the red X and now I have "Administrators". In control panel-->user accounts there is just the admin account and a guest account.

A:Group or user names have changed

Hello Bru,

It may be nothing to worry about.

Have you ever previously accessed them with a user account that has now been either deleted, from another computer, or from another installed OS on the same computer, etc....?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212562-group-user-names-have-changed.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

I'm running windows 7
I need to know why I have an "Account Unknown" listed under group or user names.

This was found when I saw an unusual shortcut for Safari on my desktop.
It came up when I selected security tab.

Path : C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Safari.Ink

My PC is set up for Home not public as well
Thank you

A:Security group or user names

If you had deleted an account, then you will find remaining fragments in the security tab. It is just saying that there used to be an account which had these rights to the program, now that account has been deleted so I don't know its name.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/security-group-or-user-names.1078835/
Relevancy 51.6%

XP Pro SP - Running things WavMail voicemail software RelayFax fax server Symantec Endpoint Prot sorry - Protection Center to manage the office s clients The IP is sitting on a -to NAT public IP with only port open I was troubleshooting one problem becuase this machine had been force-rebooted several times and caused a file corruption in the voicemail system During my exploration Lost User Help? Group!!! Administrator I discovered that when I tried to check Lost Administrator User Group!!! Help? Local Users and Groups I got an error Lost Administrator User Group!!! Help? message quot The following error occured while attempting to read group properties The group name could not be found quot And when I dug deeper I found Lost Administrator User Group!!! Help? that the Administrator group itself was MISSING The Administrator User account was still there but its group memberships cannot be viewed I get the same error and it just closes The machine otherwise seems fine it runs normal Windows updates just fine but I m worried this will cause other issues in the future so I d really like to resolve this missing Administrator group Can anybody please give me suggestions as to what I can try to repair it I ve searched the net and can t find anything helpful

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/301342/lost-administrator-user-group-help/
Relevancy 51.6%

Is there any way to add an user to a Group Policy without specifying the location?
If I understood it properly, It seems that when you add an user using the Group Policy Manager Editor, it searches for the name and adds the location as a prefix of the name automatically. For example:
My-Computer/MyUser or Workgroup/MyGroup
I supose that it is not the same to add an user with the location specified for one place or another. For example, If MyUser has a prefix of My-Computer, the rules won't be applied for the Workgroup.
Becuase of that, I was wondering if there is anyway to specify it for a general location. I mean, I would like to have the same as in the default setup, where there is only "Administrator" in the policies without any kind of prefix.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/27c5f548-cba3-4c87-bd56-038b654f0008/is-there-any-way-to-add-an-user-to-a-group-policy-without-specifying-the-location?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi

I use Windows 8.1 Update 1 Enterprise 64-bit.

Opening the "User Accounts" window via the netplwiz command, I know that, for each account created, there are two accounts belonging to different groups. How come?

In addition, in this window, the HomeGroupUser$ account is displayed. What is this hidden account?

When is used the HomeUsers group?

Thanks

Bye

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46553-user-accounts-homeusers-group.html
Relevancy 51.6%

How to reset user group to default?

A:How to reset user group to default?

Welcome
Perhaps the information included in this, tutorial may be helpful
Local Group Policy - Reset to Default - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298563-how-reset-user-group-default.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,
> Because of security concerns on our network, we would like to remove
users from being local admins on their PC. If i use power users is
there anyway to get around the problem of software installation that
modifies system files and the ability to run norton antivirus and also
print driver installs. I understand this is all a problem with being a
power user. anyway around this so I can use power users instead of
local admins.thanks for any help.Windows 2003 server and xp on
desktop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modifying-power-user-group.242111/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello everyone I had to reformat Problems User Group Account the HDD as we had a virus and since I dont believe in wasting time trying to chase them all over the registry and other areas of windows I User Account Group Problems just reformat So I had a perfectly clean system and literally a week after or less Windows started playing up with the administrator and user accounts first it didnt display any other user than Administrator then after frowning I ran the control userpasswords command and it refused me entry even if I hit enter for Administrator access as i hadnt allocated User Account Group Problems a pwd for it so I tried to access as me and entered my password and it kept saying that I wasnt in that user group for administrators I decided to log off and to my horror none of the users appeared on the welcome screen and I couldnt ctrl alt del to access either i restarted and all was the same I had down loaded a movie a few days ago no not one of them kind I never trusted them it was a pink floyd live at pompeii divx file about MB so since i had a virus before I guessed it could have been from the movie i got it from limewire so I reformatted again to make sure The problem is that now even with the system clean Windows wont let me allocate a user to another group and states that the group Standard or power user could not be found Its not ultra important but I d like to know why i cant move users from one group to another I m not keen on playing too much but I d like to get to grips with this part of the system any advice Thanks so much Darren

A:User Account Group Problems

You have had your share of problems lately! Keep your chin up!When you reformatted did you use killdisk? It might help if you did. Also be careful of putting your data back on this machine as you say, the infections could be coming from that.~~~~~~~~~You can run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows.Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/46823/user-account-group-problems/
Relevancy 51.6%

I lost my wondows XP boot from hard drive after accidently deleteing an important file. I reboot from disc but for some reason could not do a repair so I did a full re install. However I nor have a brand new user group and have lost my old user group log in and desk top. However I can still access my old user group documents via c drive documents and settings and there is my old user group files and desktop etc. how can I get this folder as a user group into which I can log in to and get my old desk top amd 'my documents' folder again.
I have windows XP service pack 2
Athlon AMD 64 processor 3200+
1.5 Gb ram.
Cheers for any help.

A:lost user group after reinstall

Have you tried creating a user with the same name as you had before?

If that doesn't work just cut all your files from your old user my documents
to your new user my documents under their respective folders.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-user-group-after-reinstall.707689/
Relevancy 51.6%

Does anybody know of a way for changing the primary group of multiple users, in windows 2000? possibly through command line?

Any help appreciated

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-primary-group-problem-w2k.352972/
Relevancy 51.6%

Running XP-Pro SP2.

Under group or user name, on the security tab, I have an odd name appearing, and I haven't been able to figure out where it comes from. It was listed as the owner of all the folders on the logical drive, and I was having folder name refresh issues, so I took them away from it. Of course, I still want to know where it came from.

S-1-5-21-1409082233-220523388-725345543-1003 is the name in question, ring any bells with anyone here?

It's still listed as the owner on other logical volumes, but so far they haven't been an issue. I searched the registry, and it doesn't appear anywhere in there...

Relevancy 51.6%

I have bought a MSI laptop recently with windows 10 installed on it.
In the computer management console Local users and groups snap-in is missing. I have tried the lusrmgr.msc command to

but only a window opened displaying message "The snap in may not be used with this edition of windows.-----" please help on this.

Please help and show it step by step kindly.
Thank you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5fd67c68-b2a0-4498-a9eb-d7c74ac1eb07/missing-local-user-and-group?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 51.6%

PLEASE someone help me and explain users and groups and how to view what user is part of what group, and how to create a group, add a user to a group, delete a user from a group, give certain permissions to a user or deny certain permissions to a user etc... AND PLEASE EXPLAIN IT AS IT PERTAINS TO WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT. Thank you for any and all help!!!!

A:Please explain user and group permissions please!!!!

Hello Jigsaw,

The tutorials below can give you more details about this. Please give them a read, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

See OPTION THREE: User Accounts - Add or Remove from Groups

and

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/325519-please-explain-user-group-permissions-please.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Ok not sure can't Group user get update to Policy for where to post this can't get Group Policy to update for user but im sure i will be told if its in the wrong place i have around out of vista biz bit computers that will not update group policy's for the user that works on that computer i have done gpupdate with force and sync and everything else that you can add to it can't get Group Policy to update for user but still nothing happens but if i log the user's account into another computer everything is updated like it should be but when i log them back into their own computer it goes back to the old policy I have tried everything I konw to fix this hope you guys can help a litte more info for you guys is the problem computers can't get Group Policy to update for user are still looking for an old server to redirect files to even tho the new policy has it pointing to the new server we have even removed the redirect to see if that would help but it doesn't they still look for the old server and lock up every few mins looking for those files

A:can't get Group Policy to update for user

Hi Cliffmarcum,

Welcome to Vista Forums!

I'm not certain how you are deploying the GPO's, but the following article may help with procedures, guidelines, hints, troubleshooting tips, and so forth: Deploying Group Policy Using Windows Vista.

On a computer that isn't working, go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / right click on Command prompt and click on Run as Administrator. Type gpresult /v and enter. This should provide a great deal of information about how GP is affecting that machine (and possibly why it is not affecting that machine). Now login as that user on a computer that is working and do exactly the same thing. Compare the two results. I'd be willing to bet SOMETHING is different that's causing the problem.

The Event Viewer has a wealth of information regarding Group Policy. Unfortunately, it requires you to look at all of the different log files to find entries for Group Policy. There you'll find entries related to policy application, policy replication, and policy refresh, all of which can be useful when trying to track down a problem. There is not always a lot of information on specific Group Policy errors in the event logs, but remember that you can always search TechNet if you find errors you can't identify (or post them here and we'll see if we can help). The following article may help here: Troubleshooting Group Policy Using Event Logs.

(From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...eshooting.aspx - which may contain additional helpful information.) Target Object Must Be in the Path of the GPO When you notice that a GPO setting is not affecting an object as it should, there is one more important setting-the object must be in the Scope of Management (SOM) of the GPO. This means that the object must be located under the node where the GPO is linked (even a child node will be sufficient). For example, none of the objects in the Marketing OU will be affected by a GPO that is linked to the Finance OU, as shown in Figure 3. The SOM of a GPO is from the node where it is linked, down through the Active Directory structure.
Figure 3 When OUs Are at the Same Level, GPOs Only Apply to the OU Where It Is Linked. I mention this because if these computers are looking to a different server instead of the new server (perhaps a different OU), they may not be able to receive the GPO.

I don't know why disabling re-direction doesn't help except perhaps it is only disabling the redirection process and not whatever is causing the computer to want to redirect or even perceive the old server. I feel certain that this is the root cause of the problem - but can't explain why it only applies to half of the computers as one would expect this to apply to all or none - and yet, if it is a difference between those that work and those that don't, it's pretty clearly the culprit.

Not knowing your setup, it's hard to suggest alternatives; however, if possible and reasonable (e.g., you use imaged machines and no user data is stored on them and everything is handled through the network including the logon and so forth), I would consider re-imaging those 15 machines to get rid of whatever is causing them to see the old server (make them like the computers that are working) and then apply the GPO and everything else should work fine on them like it does on the other computers. But your setup could be more complicated than that, so it's hard to see how much effort this would take - but I'd be willing to bet that this would solve the problem.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/287824-cant-get-group-policy-update-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

I accidentally unchecked all the allow permissions for 'Authenticated user' group and clicked 'OK', since then the 'Authenticated user' group is not visible under 'Groups'. How do I get 'Authenticated user' group back?

Vishwa

A:How to get 'Authenticated user' group back

Hi,

Navigate to your file or folder, right click on it and select Properties.Under the Security tab, click Edit.Click Add.Click Advanced.Click "Find Now".Scroll down and double click on "Authenticated Users".Click OK.Set permissions for "Authenticated Users"Click OK TWO times.
Hope this helps, and a similar thing can be done for Owners. Tell me if you want details for ownership too.

Richard

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/271940-how-get-authenticated-user-group-back.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I want to add a user to their PC's local power users group so they can do certain things on the PC that they can't do now. I know that in NT this could be done, and although I don't remember off hand how to do it in NT I know that if I were dealing with NT I could fumble my way through it. How do you do this in W2K in an AD environment?

A:Remotely adding user to local group...

The NT way would be to place a batch file on the PC that you want the user in that local group. The batch file would contain the command "Net user <username> <localgroup> /add" (maybe not exact syntax) but you could test it to see if it works in W2K. If not there may be a tool in the resource kit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remotely-adding-user-to-local-group.72144/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi,

I did something stupid , i removed my one and only user account from Administrators Group

now i am not able to do any thing

I tried adding back , but failed since not an admin user.

Really need solution ASAP, coz i m stuck now.

If there is a way through regedit , pls post it

A:Removed my Only User Account from Administrators Group

Hi you could try this: Boot into safe mode, enable the built-in Administrator, sign out, and sign in to Administrator then change your account back to Administrators group and then disable the Administrator account again.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52724-removed-my-only-user-account-administrators-group.html
Relevancy 51.17%

When I try to add a domain user to the local administrators group, I receive an error saying that the user is already a member of the administrators group. The thing is, that user is not in the member list of the administrators group. Why do I receive that message.

I did a copy of the problematic user in the Active Directory and I am able to add that "testuser" to the local administrators group without any problem.

From my point of view, the problem is not related to user's permissions because I did an exact copy of that user and I can add that "testuser" in the group.

Any solution?

--
PwaX

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-add-a-domain-user-in-the-local-admins-group-277067.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I am having trouble with one of my users profiles. When they log on to their machine, the group policy will not update. When the user is in the department OU in active directory there should be restrictions on what they can change in IE etc and when I put them in a temp OU it should remove all group policy restrictions so that admin can make changes. This works for all except this one user. When I move them to the temp OU it still has all the restrictions in place. I have tried forcing gpupdate to no avail. Is there anything else I need to look at. It is only happening with a single user.

Cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/group-policy-not-updating-on-single-user.928068/
Relevancy 51.17%

I had a network guy come in and he locked a lot of my group policies out It shows that the Administrator account is locked and disabled I need to get into this computer and it is urgent I have tried enabling the administrator account doing net user administrator active yes and it said it was successful but I still had no effect When you restart the computer it goes back to disabled If I go to add a local user to the policy and it doesn't show Tried adding any form of administrator user and when you restore it says that the administrator account is locked Also when you restart it shows the administrator account Network Group Policies User Help: Need to Local add disabled The computer refuses to add any users to the local group Is there anyway I can add one so I can fix this laptop that a dumbass network guy set up without a restore This all had to be done through CMD as well If you help me I will love you long time Thanks Justin

A:Network Group Policies Help: Need to add Local User

Quote: Originally Posted by JTNKTZ

I had a network guy come in and he locked a lot of my group policies out. It shows that the Administrator account is locked and disabled. I need to get into this computer and it is urgent. I have tried enabling the administrator account doing net user administrator /active:yes and it said it was successful but I still had no effect. When you restart the computer it goes back to disabled
If I go to add a local user to the policy and it doesn't show. Tried adding any form of administrator user and when you restore it says that the administrator account is locked. Also when you restart it shows the administrator account disabled.

The computer refuses to add any users to the local group. Is there anyway I can add one so I can fix this laptop that a dumbass network guy set up without a restore.

This all had to be done through CMD as well.......

If you help me I will love you long time
Thanks,
Justin

Justin

I would think the network IT guy did that for a reason and if their policy is to lock out the admin account they want it that way. I would suggest you call the IT guy with an explanation as to why you need it and perhaps he will make an exception.

\What exactly do you need to do anyway?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/151291-network-group-policies-help-need-add-local-user.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I created a modified Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installation DVD using RT7lite. Im not sure which change i made that efefcts this, but after joining the domain, I am unable to add a domain user to the local admin group. I get an error saying could not find user. I verified the location is set to the domain and not the local pc. Any help would be appreciated. If needed, i can provide a list of changes i made on the DVD, if thats any help.

Thanks in advance.

A:Issue adding user to local group

Also noticed that when clicking "search Active Directory" under Network, it gives the eerror "The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable." Im sure these are related. Google search hasnt given my any clue as to what it might be.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/505813/issue-adding-user-to-local-group/
Relevancy 51.17%

I teach seniors to use PCs and Win Recently the Senior Center upgraded to Win desktops Along with the upgrade I learned came permission for any and all members to use the computers there on setting security group up advice Need a user are only for per hour There are no controls whatever on users and what they do and where they go Need advice on setting up a user group security online It seems to me there ought to be some monitoring of user activity online The good news is it's a senior group most of whom barely know how to turn the PCs on I don't envision a large malware infection problem as one might have if the users were teens Win has built in tools to deal with this situation I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials Malwarebytes and Firefox I'm looking at browser add-ons such as HTTPS Everywhere Web Of Trust Ghostery Better Privacy and Adblock Plus I have most of these on my machines at home I don't want to create a big deal where there isn't one At least not yet These machines have to remain virus malware-free if I'm to be able to use them for teaching I'm wondering what your thinking is i e how much monitoring is enough and how much is a violation of privacy I know I will be asked by the Board to make a recommendation I'd appreciate your suggestions Thanks Wes N

A:Need advice on setting up a user group security

You might want to consider letting them stick with IE10 (with 64bit tabs - if possible)
Internet Explorer 10 Provides Safer Browsing

I think that you will find that there will be few changes to IE10's user interface in the years to come than in other browsers. Keeping things the same is important. The fewer add-ons and plug-ins the better. Less to maintain.

You might consider asking the center pay for a service like OpenDNS. You can globally block (to an extent) websites from the network with that DNS service. If they don't want to pay, then local HOSTS files should work.

Make each user account a standard user... or only let them use the guest account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/308575-need-advice-setting-up-user-group-security.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi I m trying to customise the user Group XP Accounts User Policy & Nightmare Pro: accounts on a standalone XP Pro PC I want to apply different settings to the admin and non-admin accounts I m using this fix here detailed in Knowledge Base article Q would post url but it s against the forum rules I apply the settings log into and out of all the relevant accounts copy Registry pol from the User folder in group policies tried copying both and just from machine seems XP Pro: User Accounts & Group Policy Nightmare to have no effect Once I have a copy of Registry pol I reverse the settings I ve applied log into and out of the user account then copy the old version of Registry pol back into the User folder of group policies Everything works fine the restrictions are applied to all accounts accept the admin accounts Until that is I reboot at which point the changes I XP Pro: User Accounts & Group Policy Nightmare made in the admin account take effect and the restrictions are lifted from the non-admin accounts For reference the setting I ve been using to test this workaround was the Disable changing Advanced page XP Pro: User Accounts & Group Policy Nightmare settings under User Configuration gt Administrative Templates gt Windows Components gt Internet Explorer Can anyone tell me why this won t stick after a reboot and what I have to do to get it to stick Many Thanks kwinsw nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-user-accounts-group-policy-nightmare.316986/
Relevancy 51.17%

I've tried about every method to access Group Policy Editor but it keeps saying snap in restricted by administrator. I've tried using cmd but its disabled by system administrator also regedit.exe so I don't know what to do, would like to know if theres
anything that i can do.  Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/37d951d9-29d8-401b-92b9-ef9ad382b29b/can-i-access-group-policy-editor-as-a-user?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 51.17%

This is what I want to do:
I am the administrator on this pc
I have a 'user' called "GUEST"
I do not want the guest to be able to access a specific program (accounting information that is private)
I know they can not get to 'my documents'
but if i log on as 'guest' i can open the accounting program and i dont want anyone as GUEST to be able to do that
how can i do this?
ive read some things about user groups
but i dont have an option to add/change groups in the control panel under user accounts
please help

Relevancy 51.17%

group policy which is related to a user does not work when we run a program as user(runas).wh have to login with user on local system(ntuser.dat get updated) and then runas user works with group policy setting.(such as hiding all hard drives).how can i update group policy in user profile without login with user? or runas a program with group policy for the first time?

Relevancy 51.17%

Hi
I have a stand alone computer in a work group,
I am looking for some windows script that will let me to
add a non-admin user(Standard User) to admin group from within Standard User
logon session.

Any help will be greately appriciated

Thanks
Sai

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-standard-user-to-admin-group.338221/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey all, I was wondering if there was any way I can bypass GP. I am on a system at an extension college campus with no designated IT. I have been asking them to fix the resolution on the PCs for over a month now and nothing has been done. It is stretched something awful and no one here likes it. I'd like to bypass the GP and change it. Is this doable?

A:Bypass Group Policy as limited user

Hi AmTheMan and welcome to the Forums.

Sorry but I cannot help you on this, and I don't think any other member will as, your I.T stop normal user's for a reason. Doing this will break the policy and you could get into trouble. I would suggest to keep at them about it

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/286606-bypass-group-policy-limited-user.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Okay we have a problem I am trying to automate The issue is our users are NOT Administrators on their machines Wooohooo you say Well I do too in most instances In all this is a plus but it does not help us when we have to remote desktop into these machines and then do something as the particular user Here is what I have envisoned so far - echo off SET P comp Type Computer Name IP Here SET P user Type User Name Name add user to local admins group mstsc exe v comp f pause remote user from local admins group Verify Admins group settings The problem with this script is I am not sure what command line functions would local to Admin User Add group temporarily. be used to display out a remote computers local group Also I don t know of a Add User to local Admin group temporarily. command that will remotely add a domain user to a remote machines local group as well as remove them Really all items with the in front I am a little unsure of Basically I am trying to automate a process of - Having the user log off - opening the MMC connecting to another computer adding in the user opening remote desktop doing the work and then removing the user from the group and then doublechecking to make sure the user is gone this last part is imperitive as we have had some machines with the local users left in the admins group and we want to avoid it I was thinking a net command may work like net group or net users but nothing I have come across in the way of switches are setup for remote connection Any thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

Hi All,

Can any one please let me know how to change a user group in windows batch file i.e. equivalent of "newgrp" in unix.

I mean is there a command which will change users group before a exe is invoked. I mean to say suppose users default group is A and is also a member of group B. Whenever a utility is invoked from my batch file I want to change user group to B, how can I do this??

Please let me know any info.

Thanks in advance

A:batch program to change user group

You can use the "net localgroup" command, which will add the selected user to a group you specify, if you need anymore help just ask

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/batch-program-to-change-user-group.750692/
Relevancy 51.17%

I searched Microsoft's website for an answer to this question but they're going all around it... And I can't get an answer to MY question.

In Access 2000, via the User and Group Accounts (in a secured database), is it possible to have a "Group" that has permissions to assign Users to Groups but NOT to have access to the design of the database?

If so, kindly let me know how to set this up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-2000-user-group-accts.369324/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a secured (user-level security) Access 2000 database.

I created a User Group called "Admin User". More or less, this User Group has access to just about the entire database... Similiar to the "Admins" User Group that Access creates.

My question is how do I grant access to my "Admin User" Group so they can grant (or take away) access to the end-users (ie "User and Group Accounts)?

I know I can give the Users in my "Admin User" Group the "Admins" permissions (created by Access), but then they would be able to edit my permissions (the creator)... which I don't want.

A:Access 2000: User & Group Accounts

Any suggestions for this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-2000-user-group-accounts.337253/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi Wireless/Wired Domain/User Group & Issues. I think the best place for this question is in Networking so forgive me if it s not I have a Vista Business laptop with a Wireless/Wired Domain/User & Group Issues. wireless connection to a small network of about machines I having a problem opening a quot Select Users or Groups quot dialog box during a MS wizard ConnWiz exe When I am supposed to open that dialog box I get the error mesasage quot The program cannot open the required dialog box because no locations can be found Close this message and try again quot If I try the same thing using the same wizard on a wired computer on the network I get no problems If I try to get to the same dialog box by using share permissions on the laptop I can do that it s just the wizard that doesn t work The only major difference I can tell between the wireless and wired connections is that the wireless laptop LAN connection has a SSID the wired computers do not Although when I tried connecting the laptop via a wired connection I got the same problem This network is not run off a domain Any help with this is really appreciated I m pulling my hair out over this Thanks nbsp

A:Wireless/Wired Domain/User & Group Issues.

Take a look at: Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together.

See if this site: File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista helps you if the previous one isn't doing the trick.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-wired-domain-user-group-issues.710500/
Relevancy 50.31%

hi,

I work in a school with a CC3 (RM) network basically modified windows xp and 2000, i have joined a standard windows xp machine to the domain and added a user on the domain local admins group, however when this user logs in they can see the c drive and access other usually restricted parts of windows what they can not do is change the screen resolutions or right click on the task bar.

what would cause this to happen? my understanding is that once the user is in the local admin group they should have full access to everything on that laptop and rm will not supplt support because they do not support standard windows.

there is no way to block this kind of use from active directory is there ??