Windows Support Forum

How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9

Q: How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9

Hello Since Microsoft has decided accessing user from under prevent How IE9 a tools to to not develop a Windows version of Steady Sate I have been following their documentation Creating a Steady State by Using Microsoft Technologies doc Group Policy Settings for Creating a Steady State doc and Windows SteadyState How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9 Reference Spreadsheet xlsx We have a number of Public Access PC on our network With Steady State I was able to prevent these PC from browsing our network or viewing any files or folders on the PC itself I have all the group policy changes suggested above plus a bunch more so far total The Public Access PC is set up with autologin the user localmachine PublicUser with only user permissions How do you prevent a user from accessing tools under Internet Explorer and or View Downloads Example why I want to block this access Under this user you can go open IE then access to Tools by either Alt X or clicking on the gear icon next to the Home and Favorite icon Then open up View Downloads or jump straight to View Downloads by Ctrl J in IE Once in the default download location the user then clicks on options on the bottom left of the screen This brings up another pop up and if the user then clicks on the Browse Button he gets a nice little notice that reads This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer Please contact your system administrator Now the crazy part When the user clicks OK for the notice they get a new Windows Explorer window In the Navigation pane it allows the user to the view the network We have network discovery and file sharing turned off so when the user clicks on Network they get a nice notice about network discovery and file sharing How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9 is turned off If they click on the notice a new pop up comes up with the option Turn on network discovery and file sharing If the user clicks on it they get the pop up called User Account Control So now I have turned of User Account Control Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users I had already set a policy How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9 to keep the user from accessing all drives from my computer But when this Explorer Window the user can open up they had access to their my documents libraries music The real point is the user should not able to see or access anything Once they get the operation has been canceled message it should take them straight back to the web browser not open a Windows Explorer Window Thanks for your assistance Greg

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9

No matter what you do, consider setting up LUA+SRP as well.
Software Restriction Policy

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/217289-how-prevent-user-accessing-tools-under-ie9.html
Relevancy 27.95%

I sometimes wonder about techs using tools such as Seatools, HDD regenerator etc to diagnose/repair hard drives. Do any of these tools beat Chkdsk in any way?
(besides data recovery tools, I guess those have no match in Windows).

Thank you

A:Do you need more than Windows default tools to check/repair a hard drive?

IMO, always use the tool provided by the vender. At the time you need this tool, you don't need a 3rd party screw-up to 'help you' really mess it up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-you-need-more-than-windows-default-tools-to-check-repair-a-hard-drive.217548/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

I bought a R9 270X by XFX. My current specs are:

CPU: AMD A10 7800k (Standard Clock Speeds, Graphics Disabled)
RAM: 4GB (2 sticks, both working)
Motherboard: FM2, Gigabyte
PSU: 500 watt 80+ Cert Silver
HDD: 500GB WD Blue

So the issue is that the R9 card consistenly crashes out of all games no matter if I uninstall the drivers or reinstall them. I have tried removing the drivers through catalyst control center and through application based tools (DisplayDriverUninstaller). Once I uninstall and reinstall, it works, until the computer is restarted and then rinse and repeat.

Is this the card saying it is dying? If so it is a weird way of graphics card dying.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/r9-270x-doa-or-user-error.209138/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 21.07%

I bought a ADSL Modem D-Link 2730U

We are connecting to the Modem via Laptop, PC, Phone,... at the same time.

I want to know how can I monitor network(Receive/Send) for each user who connected to the Modem.

Can I do such thing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-network-for-each-user-connected-to-adsl-router-modem.206910/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have joined a computer (PC1) to a domain control server (2008), and user able to login using their domain user account - although recently I have found out that even though the computer (PC1) do not connect to a server, user still able to access using their domain account.
Is there a way for me to restrict domain account user from accessing the computer (PC1) if they are disconnected from server?
Hope my explanation make sense to you guyz.

Thank in advance

A:Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

Lots to be considered. Joining a domain is intended to give the company admin configuration control of all the company users.
This is normal, expected and even proper for the company to do this.

restrict domain account userClick to expand...

hmm; only the company admin should be able to do this and almost always it is done using some scripts, NOT by loggin into your PC. So - - who is accessing your PC remotely, the admin - - how do you know this occurs?

PCs joined to a domain usually get a replacement for PC Login - - the network form and that creates a link to the domain controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prevening-domain-user-from-accessing-computer.204127/
Relevancy 21.93%

I finally found out why my wireless keyboard didn't work as I mentioned in another thread several months back.
Evidently the USB wifi thingy was in a USB port that didn't work. When I was going thru this thread http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unknown-device.202706/
I removed it thinking it might be the unknown device.
Anyhow, I've been trying to find the manual for my wireless KB & can't find it.
I'm not sure which number(s) I need. MS PART NO. X820309-001
Serial number or Product ID? Here it is

A:MS Keyboard user manual help

Well, I went here http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/wireless-keyboard-3000 & despite the fact its default language is English, the downloads are in any language BUT.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ms-keyboard-user-manual-help.202759/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have networked PCs before many times successfully so this is not my first time trying to network PCs in a home environment Though I m wondering if Windows is part of the problem I would have thought that for sure until one of the name credentials bad password? user with unknown even correct failure: or "Logon new laptops running W would not connect to any of the other three PCs Laptops running W Yet these other three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to this laptop Then it gets a little more "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password? even with correct credentials interesting this same laptop that couldn t connect to those three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to a Windows desktop and a XP Laptop and those two can also connect back to it without issue It s almost like my network is divided in half and only half can talk to each other But then when I thought it couldn t get any more interesting I realized the first three W PCs Laptops can talk to the others it s just that the others W Laptop W Desktop XP Laptop can t talk back to them without getting the error quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password even though the username and password are correct I don t fully understand this error because on the surface it s just WRONG My username and password are correct but it appears something somewhere is interfering or hijacking the authentication process Three of the computers laptops are brand new just purchased last week and setup this week The HostPC is also fairly new just purchased last month I am not using a HomeGroup and have removed all computers that were part of a HomeGroup I have enabled file sharing and network discovery and enabled Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers on all PCs I have DSL and am using the wireless modem provided by my ISP which has router functionality built into it It is a Sagemcom Model F ST N All computers are connected wirelessly Time is correct on all PCs I cannot use Group Policy since they re all Standard or Home edition DHCP is enabled and all computers are on the same subnet using the x range of ip addresses The six computers are as follows I figured this may make is easier to visualize the layout HostPC HP Desktop W PC Name DrsBlend U N DrsBlend p w not showing my real password PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Desktop W SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC Dell Laptop XP SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W Every PC stated above has the same user name and password and is logged-in with the username DrsBlend and the password The quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password happens when trying to access HostPC PC or PC from PC PC or PC The HostPC can see and connect to all the PCs but only PC and PC can talk back or access the HostPC It s like the HostPC and PC and PC are in their own little clique and can talk back and forth to each other Those three PCs can also talk to PC PC and PC as well but PC PC and PC cannot talk back to them HostPC PC PC Profile corruption I would have entertained that thought but the fact the first three PCs can access and talk to one another kind of defeats that idea and the fact the PCs were just recently setup Firewall Disabled and disabled TrendMicro with no change With them on off the first three PCs can still talk to each other and the rest of the PCs Anyone have any additional suggestions nbsp

A:"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password” even with correct credentials

I experienced a similar problem when I was trying to network my 8.1 machine the host network. As you say the host PC can see and connect to all of the machines, but not the other way around. Not sure if it is the same in your situation but I found that Microsoft's idea of network sharing on the Windows 8 class of OS differs greatly from previous OS's in that you can connect to it from an external host, but when trying to do the other way around it doesn't "see" the PC in question due to differing network sharing protocols included in the OS.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am speaking only from what happened with my network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logon-failure-unknown-user-name-or-bad-password%E2%80%9D-even-with-correct-credentials.201313/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 still running XP that has an administrator account, as well as a guest account (where the important docs I need are stored). It has a faulty DC jack, and I plan on having it recycled due to the fact the repair would cost more than the computer is worth. If I remove the hard drive and put it in a USB housing, would I be able to access the info stored under the guest account without any problems?

Relevancy 21.93%

I issue An logins with user have a former company PC Earlier I was attempting to remove the company An issue with user logins domain from it so that I didn t have to An issue with user logins log in as the previous user every time just to get to the desktop So I changed the computer name right click my computer properties computer name I then clicked on Network ID and set to this computer is for An issue with user logins home use and then it went wrong I restarted the computer as instructed and tried to log on as the user as before but it is telling me the password is incorrect The username is correct and so is the password It s clear that whatever I did with the Network ID has caused this I have logged on as administrator but need to access the other user due to the saved files on there etc Can someone help me revert back access that user account from admin Is there a way to completely detach the PC from the previous domain so that it is like a normal home PC with no log in Thank You nbsp

A:An issue with user logins

Administrator account has permission to access files from other users. Just go to the C:/Users section or whatever.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/an-issue-with-user-logins.198449/
Relevancy 28.81%

I recently purchased an Asus N VJDH laptop The laptop came preinstalled with the abomination known as Windows I am trying to change the boot order so the laptop will boot from BIOS Asus an on Laptop Accessing my Windows disk To do this I need to access BIOS I have tried most of the standard key combinations F F F F Insert Delete but I cannot seem to access BIOS I even contact Asus Tech support by phone but their representatives are a special kind of useless They would not provide me a straight answer to this question Does anyone else have Asus laptops Do they know how to Accessing BIOS on an Asus Laptop access BIOS Update I have half solved this problem There is a rather convoluted procedure listed here http forum notebookreview com asus -need-help-asus-n vz-rh -cant-enter-bios html that enables me to access BIOS Still this is something I should be able to access upon booting I should not be going through the operating system just to access BIOS If something ever went seriously wrong with my computer I may never be able to fix it if the only way to access BIOS is listed above nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-bios-on-an-asus-laptop.197791/
Relevancy 27.95%

My computer battery was replaced by a family member and when I boot up my PC which took about 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds. I noticed that the 2 harddrives were displayed in the bios as raid drives. The 2 harddrives are SATA. However in Windows when I right click on My Computer and select Manage then Device Manager they appear as NTFS format.

I sure that this configuration has something to do with response.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to restore my raid drive back to 2 harddrives under NTFS without loosing my data. I would prefer a software tool or a step by step solution since I am not comfortable with manually making changes to computer settings.
Thank you for your advice in advance to this frustrating problem
Regards
Ntracs (Joe)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/converting-raid-harddrives-back-to-ntfs-with-software-tools.196141/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Windows 7 computer wired into my home network. It has a printer attached to it that I have set to share. I have a windows 7 laptop and an XP laptop. Both 7 machines can see open the shared drives on the XP machine but when I try to access the shared drives of either 7 machine from any of the other machines I am asked to give a User ID and a password. This is a private Home network. I have no passwords set up on any of the machines. I'm trying to set up the printer on the two laptops and I can't access it without the User ID Password window popping up. Does anyone know what the problem is?

A:Home Network asking for user ID and password

This is all normal operation for print/file sharing. If you really want sharing without using passwords (imo a security risk), then you need to google for "anonymous sharing"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-asking-for-user-id-and-password.194484/
Relevancy 28.81%

Greetings I m hoping someone here can help me with an odd problem getting into a single website Four days ago my webhost moved my site to a new server ONE person is having trouble getting to the new location from a SINGLE computer within accessing a single website Problem the household The Problem accessing a single website message she is getting looks like the old location IP is stored in the DNS cache except she has flushed the cache several times Another computer in the house and her tablet both using the same wireless router can get to the website If she does a tracert on her computer it goes to the correct server She has checked the host file to see if there is an entry directing her browsers she has tried with three different browsers to the old wrong server There is nothing there So the computer WILL get to the correct IP server using a tracert but the browsers do not Any thoughts about what is going wrong What have we overlooked nbsp

A:Problem accessing a single website

Also on the browser:
delete AutoComplete data
delete Browsing History
uncheck "Preserve Favorites website data."
then delete the Temporary Internet Files and Cookies.
ipconfig /flushdns
restart system

Trying using one or all of these Chrome, Maxthon, Opera, IE, Fire Fox try all these browser do you get the same results.If just one browser causing this issue uninstall the browser in re-install it. If it's IE then, clear out the system. Ping the the site your trying to get too from that browser. Does it time out..

Use Microsoft FiX-it Reset TCP/IP or follow the examples given on the link below.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-accessing-a-single-website.193321/
Relevancy 29.24%

My memory card was working fine. Don t know what happen to it .
While opening memory card in mobile it is throwing error "Memory card not formatted .Plz format it ".But I dont want to formaat it If I tried to format it is giving error . I tried in my PC also through data card and also through USB cord with mobile .Iam not able to access from pc aslo .
Icon of removable disk is showing ,but while clicking it is giving message that "Please insert disk".

Plz give me some remedy so that I can recover my data and I can use my micro SD.

A:Problem In accessing micro SD

Connect you card to your machine. Then go to command prompt (run->cmd->enter) and enter this command; chkdsk /f X:
Replace the name of your card drive with X in above command.
If this helped, so OK, if not, try recover your data, using a good recover tool, and then discard that sd card!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-in-accessing-micro-sd.192417/
Relevancy 28.38%

I recently had issues with a computer and needed files accessing drive Help with external hard on to get a new one but was able to save the hard drive from the old and use as an external it had everything on it and I didn t back it up Anyway I purchased a Dynex external hard disc case hooked it up to the new computer and it accesses only half of the stuff It apepars that the things on the external that had a password to access it Help with accessing files on external hard drive will now allow to me access My computer is telling me I quot do not have permission to access that file quot How can I gain access to those files that I was able to access on the other computer Its the same hard drive Is there a way to enter the sign-on password info so that I access the quot protected quot stuff They were really only microsoft word documents but thousands of them as well as digital voice files I ve already tried the quot properties Security Owner change ownership quot thing Didn t work Thanks Kate nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-accessing-files-on-external-hard-drive.190805/
Relevancy 28.81%

I think its the program that started up automatically one day shortly after I got this W7 on 12/23/12. Like most pop ups, I quickly X'd out of it not knowing what it was.
The second time it happened, I let it go & it showed 100% ok. I think that was in January & I haven't seen it pop up since but if it has & it finished & disappeared on its own,ok.
Anyhow, I think I relocated it manually & Alerts was blinking. I clicked on it & saw this.

I think the Freedom Scientific Mirror thing is the program the original owner asked me for & I asked in here. I can't fing the thread thou.
The "Unknown Device" is just that, unknown.
Any suggestions? Or just leave it alone?

A:Hardware diagnostics tools

You might what to uninstall the Freedom Scientific Mirror display Driver, If it applies to nothing you are using, This may or may not take care of the unknown device problem at the same time. As far as the HP hardware diagnostic program. This is just a software tool Hp installs in there software to alert you of problems. Have it in my computer to. Have never really used it though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-diagnostics-tools.190725/
Relevancy 21.5%

I?ve never had to set the BIOS password, but the kids are growing up and I need to lock access to my PC.

My Bios has two Password Options: Supervisor and User.

The Supervisor password was accepted, and before I attempt to change the BIOS settings, the Supervisor password is asked for.

Then I set the user password.

However, when I boot up the PC, I am not asked for any password and windows loads as usual.

What am I missing?

The BIOS is Award Software International, Inc. F4 HI 07/03/2007

A:Unable to set BIOS user password

Do you have the option mentioned below?

Setting a BIOS Password

Now you'll want to set your system to ask for that password every time it boots, so select the BIOS FEATURES SETUP option, to see a menu something like this:

Fairly obviously, it's the Password Check option we're interested in, so select it and change the setting to ALWAYS.

etc....Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-set-bios-user-password.183774/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello Guys,

I have HP Laser Jet 3050 Printer. I have connected it with my Vodafone Router via USB. It is working fine in LAN\wifi network environment. At the moment i am connecting to printer using 192.168.1.1:631. But its for local. I want to know, how can I access same printer from remote locations via internet.What port I will have to configure and how? Is it possible? Is there any way to achieve this.
I have a static IP.

Thanks

Sarabjit Singh

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-printer-via-internet-remote-location.177884/
Relevancy 28.81%

My hp tools drive is full there is nothing but a whole bunch of files that I can't open and I can't delete but I keep getting this system message saying that it is full and I don't know what to do or if I should use a program like CCleaner to wipe the drive. I think it may have infor for system recovery but there is also a drive and my that says Recovery so I could be wrong I'm just very confused about this right now.

A:HP Tools drive E Windows 7 full

This HP Tools partition is not meant to be accessed outside of the HP Utilities. You can delete the E partition to gain hard drive space, but like I said the E drive is only accessed when you enable the appropriate HP Utility. You should also see a Recovery partition

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-tools-drive-e-windows-7-full.175110/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hey guys every time i restart my laptop it wipes all the user profiles, leaves one and wipes all the custom settings on that profile. I have no idea and any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

A:User profiles deleted on start up

This might be caused by a virus or other malware infection, a corrupt hard drive or Windows itself is corrupt... Can you do a destructive laptop restore? This is a way that the laptop is put back just like it was when you turned it on when you first bought it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profiles-deleted-on-start-up.175534/
Relevancy 21.93%

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello everybody, I have a home network with about 3 computer connected. I am using a laptop and when ever I use the net view command in cmd, I can only view my laptop. Why can't I see the other 2 computer?

All the computer have Win. 7 Home Premium Installed. Is there a way to send messages to those computers within the network, without the use of 3rd party applications... Perhaps by cmd?

I know you can, but I am unsure how.

A:Net view/net user

examples

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net view $SYSTEM_NAME
Shared resources at $SYSTEM_NAME
[B]lt-beard[/B]

Share name Type Used as Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
Italy-1 Disk
Italy-2 Disk
RealEstate Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net view emac
Shared resources at emac

Mac OS X

Share name Type Used as Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
homes Disk User Home Directories
i860 Print Canon i860
jeff Disk User Home Directories
MP470 series Print Canon MP470 series
It should be clear that NET VIEW SYSTEM is dependent upon getting Print/File Sharing working correctly.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>[B]net user jeff[/B]
User name Jeff
Full Name Jeff
Comment primary user(LUA)
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active Yes
Account expires Never

blah blah ...

Workstations allowed All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory
Last logon 9/2/2011 10:55 AM

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Users
Global Group memberships *None

Would appear to be Policy settings for the user

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/net-view-net-user.170621/
Relevancy 21.07%

Okay here is the story My laptop has a ton of valuable information on it recently my Norton protection ran out and was unable to renew it Well somebody hacked my system and now I have a ton of viruses trojans and malware So I was still able to use my Copy to drive external profile user entire hard PC for internet usage and my music still played in Windows Media Player So all in all my laptop still worked Now today I go to turn on my laptop and it will not boot up at all I can t even system restore or repair it with windows repair However I do need to back up my files and since my hard drive is what is wrong in the first place I think it might be better instead of copying the entire hard drive to my terabyte external hard drive if it would make more sense just to copy my entire user profile onto my external I am wondering if this is possible i have heard of LiveCD s and Parted Magic from this forum But I am wondering if I can just back up all of my files that way If I can back up all of my files like that I might save money instead of taking to a repairman and just fix it myself So is it possible to copy and back-up the entire user profile of a laptop that will not boot up to an external hard drive Basically I want to copy the entire contents of my User Profile on Vista onto an external drive so I can use my reboot CD to reboot my laptop without losing any of my files and folders or Copy entire user profile to external hard drive anything for that Copy entire user profile to external hard drive matter I figure the best way to do that would be to copy the user profile so all the contents of that profile would go onto my external Then I reboot my computer and put Copy entire user profile to external hard drive the User Profile back on Simple nbsp

A:Copy entire user profile to external hard drive

Have you tried a repair install? If that is possible that will leave your files intact.. It is a good idea to back on a regular basis anyway.

The other possibility is connecting your hard drive as a slave drive on another pc.

If the repair install is not possible there are a number of ways using boot cd's to access your data.

Here is one solution that is free and should do what you want
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copy-entire-user-profile-to-external-hard-drive.169549/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have a Dell desktop with wifi. It can see the AP (very strong signal), but it cannot access the internet ("limited conductivity"). I tried cycling power on the modem and AP which helped temporarily. Reboot does nothing. There are 3 other notebooks that have full access to the internet thru wifi to the same AP and cable modem.

The Dell has Vista op sys, and I've run thru all the diagnostics with no real solution. This pc normally uses a wired connection with no problem.

What should I look at to get this going?

Thx

A:Trouble accessing Internet

So you must be using a USB Wireless adapter? Have you installed the software for it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trouble-accessing-internet.167583/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hi Guys I wondered if anyone knew how to prevent the screen protector on my iPod Touch th gen from peeling off There is a small part in the bottom left corner that keeps on coming up a bit I off Prevent screen protector from peeling think it is caused by the rubber-like iPod Case that I Prevent screen protector from peeling off have which sort of pushes on the corner of the screen protector causing it to come up out If I remove the case then it is fine but I need the case to hide all the scratches on the back The case is a CAPDASE case which is a bit stretchy and translucent It protects the back When I try to quot tuck quot it under the screen protector it stays fine for a minute or so but then it comes off again Any ideas Might glue work Will it damage the screen It is only one corner The rest of the front is perfect Thanks in advance EDIT It is a CAPDASE Soft Jacket XPOSE nbsp

A:Prevent screen protector from peeling off

That "screen protector" is used during manufacture and shipping of the iPod and you can remove it anytime to solve this problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prevent-screen-protector-from-peeling-off.166850/
Relevancy 28.38%

i replaced the au31 motherboard, i cleared cmos like the manual said to. and i still can't access the bois

A:Problems accessing BIOS for au31 motherboard

If you are using a USB keyboard, try switching to a PS/2 keyboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-accessing-bios-for-au31-motherboard.166174/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

I have a lynksis wrt400n wireless router. I noticed today that there is a user named 'scotty-PC' in my network.

I do have it password protected.

I'm thinking the easiest way would be to shut off the wireless if that is possible. My wife and I are both hardwired into the router anyways.

How do I go about shutting off the wireless signal from the router?

Thank you in advance!

A:Need help with unknown user in my network

use your browser to reconfig the router - - use the IP address 193.168.1.1 as a URL
login: leave user name empty, password is admin
(obviously this needs to be changed too - - read on)

the Users Guide is here

Option one would be to DISABLE the radio - - read thru to find that

Option two would be to use WiFi Mac Filtering; -- pg 14
This option will allows ONLY defined systems access, so set a dummy, like the MAC
address of your wired NIC

Before you quit, DISABLE remote management on port 8080
and CHANGE that admin password

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-unknown-user-in-my-network.164009/
Relevancy 28.81%

My computer will not all ow me to connect to "www.vchss.org" web site. I can get to other sites without problems.
Below are the gmer and dds log files.
Any information that can help solve this problem wuld be appreciated. Wayne

A:Problem with accessing vchss.org web site

Problem with accessing vchss.org website

i did not see leekys response before it was removed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-accessing-vchss-org-web-site.163344/
Relevancy 21.5%

I ll try to shorten this some I was having some problems that I determined were either caused by the hard drive corrupted WinXP Media Version or my RAM I ran MEM Test user paste Can't switch copy can't and and it failed so I replaced the RAM with one G Can't switch user can't copy and paste stick That solved several issues I still had an issue with switching users I had the computer set up for users with myself as the admin My partition is that what it s called works just fine but if I log into one of the other three it will not allow shutdown restart log off or change user It forces me to do a hard shutdown I decided that my OS may be corrupted so I took the opportunity to install a bigger faster HD and installed WinXP Pro The problem did not go away This doesn t make sense to me What else could cause this I also have a new problem Sometimes the copy and paste feature will just quit working It seems to copy but then the Paste will not quot light up quot when I right click in the program I want to use Could this be driver related nbsp

A:Can't switch user can't copy and paste

It's possible that the group policy is keeping the regular users from doing things like log off, or shutdown. You may want to check what the settings are or put all those users into a single group and give them the proper permissions to do whatever you want.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-switch-user-cant-copy-and-paste.159642/
Relevancy 21.5%

Explanation:

Ok so I work in a small office and I have a networked printer that takes user numbers for passwords to print. This way we can keep track of print jobs and charge the employees accordingly. This user # is setup thru printer preferences. Normally only one user # is required for each computer as each employee has their own computer. Well there are two open computers at my office that anyone can use, these two have their own user #'s.

Question:

What i'd like to do is set it up so these open computers prompt for a user number before being able to print instead of having a user # saved under the preferences. Is this possible?

Relevant information:

Computers - Windows Xp Pro sp3
Server - Windows server 2003
Printer - Sharp Mx-6200N

Thank for any help regarding this situation.

A:Prompting for user # on a network printer

hmm; this is a commercial Charge Back process. Home users would hardly ever need or want
something like this.
I would think you would find such options in the software you are using to capture the user#,
likely on your Domain Controller ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prompting-for-user-on-a-network-printer.150482/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi I optical drives Accessing external on computer? have a Dell Dimension which recently died of a failed motherboard It has two optical drives a floppy and a zip And yes I still sometimes find I need to access data off an old floppy or zip I would like to salvage these media drives for use Accessing optical drives on external computer? with my Toshiba laptop I know I can buy external enclosures Accessing optical drives on external computer? for the drives but with four of them the cost will begin to add up Plus I don t even know if enclosures for internal floppies and zips exist I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the laptop directly to the dead Dell and access the drives Although the motherboard is no good the power supply seems to be fine Basically the old Dell would be functioning as large powered enclosure for multiple drives If so how would I go about it I already have an Ativa data transfer USB cable if that helps Thanks H nbsp

A:Accessing optical drives on external computer?

No, you can't do what you are asking.

Does your Toshiba have an optical drive? If so you'd only need to buy an adapter/enclosure for the zip and floppy, but really I think it probably would cost the same just to buy ones that are already external rather than something to turn your internals to externals.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-optical-drives-on-external-computer.146583/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello I am trying to access some files stored on an IDE hard drive in Windows I recently found out about quot drive management quot function which I can use to assign a letter path to the drive - however it now says quot you need to format this drive before you can use it quot and then quot F is not accessible the volume does not contain a recognized file system Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted quot I think it could be something to do with older file systems and compatibility FAT NTFS But I don t know really Maybe I have set it up incorrectly The hard drive is not corrupted as far as I am aware The last time I used it was around a year ago on an older computer which I no longer have access to and it has been safely stored ever since any ideas will be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Accessing an old IDE HDD in Windows 7 64bit OS

Windows 7 should write and read to FAT32 formatted hard drives. Flash or thumb USB drives are FAT32.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-an-old-ide-hdd-in-windows-7-64bit-os.145746/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi,

I have been using a Eminent Network Media Tank with a built-in WD 1TB hard drive that is FAT32 for some time now. As I have some new content I want to add to it I connected it to my notebook. I installed the drivers from the Eminent CD to make windows recognize the drive (a program called IFS drives was installed into the configuration screen). In the my computer screen I can now see the drive with the disk letter I appointed to it (Z) but when I try to open the drive windows says: "Dirve Z is not formatted, do you want to format the drive now?". Evidently I don't want to format the drive, I just want to access it and add new data. Does anyone know why windows says this and (more importantly) how I can achieve my goal without formatting?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-1tb-fat32-wd-drive-used-in-eminent-media-tank.145510/
Relevancy 21.5%

What software to use, user friendly. Take *.avi movie covert and burn it so it will play on a dvd with a splash screen (menu) title to play movie and title(2) to include a small video clip of myself including a a message.

Was trying to use DeVeDe but I am having trouble with title 2 being authoritative with my video and both titles go straight to the movie. DeveDe is for Ubuntu but let me know of software for ubuntu or windows xp

A:User friendly video to dvd with menu

Rather use a windows xp app anyways and I am sure, much more. ubuntu machine not as powerful for decoding videos, or this devede program, audio came out of sync and still had the title allocation issue. I really want to get my video message in the dvd menu.

thanks !

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-friendly-video-to-dvd-with-menu.143608/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all,

Well the message was not clear, but here is the problem I am having.

I own a Acer Aspire 5920G and I accidentally spilled water onto it, was not a lot and thankfully my laptop lived. However, there is only one slight problem. My Keyboard is malfunctioning, as it is typing random stuff and doing random things. Not like a backdoor. It goes like "eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxffffggggghhhhh" it somtimes backspaces and does random inputs. I don't know what's going on and I hope someone here can help me solve this problem.

*Note I think it's a problem within the computer because the keys are not sticky and I can still type but not with all the kets.*

A:Help! Keyboard Inputting into Laptop without User!

Hi

laptop keyboards are delicate at the best of times, any liquid spilt into it will dry and cause this issue,

you can use an external keyboard and see if it does this, you will have to remove the keyboard from the laptop, this is usually done by removing some screws and then undoing the ribbon connector from the board, or by unclipping the keyboard from the housing and disconnecting the ribbon cable.

keyboard go for about 15 on ebay dependant on who is selling it, dont try and repair it you will be wasting your time.

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-keyboard-inputting-into-laptop-without-user.142568/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all,

Well the message was not clear, but here is the problem I am having.

I own a Acer Aspire 5920G and I accidentally spilled water onto it, was not a lot and thankfully my laptop lived. However, there is only one slight problem. My Keyboard is malfunctioning, as it is typing random stuff and doing random things. Not like a backdoor. It goes like "eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxffffggggghhhhh" it somtimes backspaces and does random inputs. I don't know what's going on and I hope someone here can help me solve this problem.

*Note I think it's a problem within the computer because the keys are not sticky and I can still type but not with all the kets.*

A:Help! Keyboard Inputting into Laptop without User!

Probably your notebook's keyboard shorted out when you spilled water on it.

I would advise you to leave your notebook alone for few days to dry out completely and see if the shorting sorts itself out. Otherwise, you may end up having to replace the keyboard; for which you'll be better off consulting an technician.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-keyboard-inputting-into-laptop-without-user.142569/
Relevancy 27.09%

I m not particularly PC-savvy so please bare with me and my beginner like amount of knowledge Recently upgraded my home audio production studio Background hard mouse audio / accessing moving when noises and.. interference drive, computer with a new PC Background noises / audio interference when accessing hard drive, moving mouse and.. from pcspecialist co uk spec as below Processor CPU Intel Core i Processor i - GHz MB Cache HyperThreading Memory RAM GB CORSAIR XMS DUAL-DDR MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY Motherboard ASUS P P D PRO DDR S-ATA II x PCI-Ex x PCI Operating System Genuine Windows Home Premium Bit - inc DVD amp Licence USB Options x USB PORTS REAR FRONT AS STANDARD Memory - st Hard Disk TB SERIAL ATA -Gb s HARD DRIVE WITH MB CACHE rpm nd Hard Disk NONE RAID HDD amp NONE st DVD BLU-RAY Drive x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER R RW RAM nd DVD BLU-RAY Drive NONE Graphics Card MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GS PCI EXPRESS nd Graphics Card NONE Sound Card ONBOARD CHANNEL HIGH DEF AUDIO AS STANDARD Network Facilities ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN PORT Modem NONE I WILL BE USING BROADBAND Floppy Disk Drive NONE Memory Card Reader INTERNAL IN CARD READER READS XD MS CF SD etc Case COOLERMASTER SILEO QUIET MID TOWER CASE Power Supply amp Case Cooling W Quiet Dual Rail PSU mm Case Fan Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER Firewire amp Video Editing x IEEE a FIREWIRE PORTS onboard at back panel TV Card NONE First thing I came to do was install my external audio interface Native Instruments Kontrol but as soon as I did this I began getting background noises through my speakers when the hard drive CPU was accessed when I moved the mouse and when the graphics card re-draws any part of the screen display I have tried un-installing re-installing the latest drivers tried different USB ports and tried a different audio interface on the PC all with exact same results the background noise I have also tested my Kontrol audio interface on my old pc again which is in the same place in studio so eliminates any possible grounding issues and can confirm that the interference is coming from the new PC not the audio interface In my desperation I have looked on various forums and one suggestion has been that it could be a badly behaved graphics card which is giving out a lot of radio interference Apparently Nivida cards are renown for doing so Has anyone else come across this issue Does anyone have a solution I have contacted pcspecialist directly about the problem arguing that I purchased this pc for a specific purpose - audio production - and I can t do it without the audio interface working correctly but they have told me that the computer passed their testing and commissioning stage without any problems and they cannot guarantee support to third party devices So basically I m on my own Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated Interference nbsp

A:Background noises / audio interference when accessing hard drive, moving mouse and..

This may be a stupid answer... are all inputs, like mic, cdrom, aux input and ect. disabled or turned down...

just an idea...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/background-noises-audio-interference-when-accessing-hard-drive-moving-mouse-and.138881/
Relevancy 27.95%

hey i am havin a problem accessing my 300G harddrive it's "WDC WD32 00JD-60KLB0 SCSI" that is my "storage harddrive" where i got my games an music files on there how do i gain access to that.

it would be a great help if u can help me with a "step-by-step" guide for that so i can do it myself after when you have told me how to do it...

Thank You

P.S Mohammed Arfan

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-accessing-my-raid-controller-hard-drive.137988/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any hardware diagnotic tools kit that can be used to diagnose laptop hardware problems.

Any help and advise will be greatly appriciated.

Patrick

A:Diagnostic Tools

Any Diag software might cost $$

Hi Patrick.....I have often wished for the same, a nice Analyze tool
that pops up and says....YYYYY is a problem.
The Free tools out there don't fix the problem unless you willing to
put your Visa card on the line.
As the old saying goes "nothing good in life is free". Having said that
I put down $100.00 for 1 years of support with I-YOGI
this is an outfit in India of course that
can look for YOUR specific problems with Windows and related problems, I assume your running Windows?.

If you have a HighSpeed DSL connection they can connect to your PC remotely and
look at your problem or problems. You can actually watch them on your PC as they take
over your mouse and keyboard. I just watched them, jotted down on paper what directories they went into and they fixed the problem. I had a corrupted Register.
I was very satisified with them. The language barrier is a challange but they do
try to please you and those dudes know Windows......Ron

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/diagnostic-tools.135230/
Relevancy 28.81%

Please move this thread if it is in the using Accessing Knoppix: HDD error receiving wrong section Long story short I ve been trying to recover some files off my hard drive using the bootable OS Knoppix after other options to recover the files have failed I used the tutorial quot How to recover your folders files when Windows won t boot quot I d l the Knoppix iso and verified the hash sum value so I got the file okay it seems like I burned the iso and booted into Knoppix just fine but when I tried accessing the faulty drive I got the error Unable to mount device Error org freedesktop Hal Device Volume UnknownFailure So I thought I was screwed but then I tried accessing my other internal drive that is operating just fine and I got the same error I am able to mount flash drives just fine I m not sure what to do Is there a problem with the burn I tried two different Knoppix discs and both had the same problem Any help would be great Either to resolve this problem or to try something else to recover my files Here is my original post to see all the things I have tried to recover the files http www techspot com vb topic html post nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-hdd-using-knoppix-receiving-error.134544/
Relevancy 21.07%

A user has been using her laptop for several years and uses Outlook for her POP3 email.
When we installed a server and joined her laptop to the domain she was unable to see her email without logging out of the server and logging back into her local account.
How do I let her domain profile be the same as her local profile?

A:User loses access to outlook email after being joined to domain

You can't, it's considered as a different user. Just take the settings from Outlook and import them into the other account name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-loses-access-to-outlook-email-after-being-joined-to-domain.134427/
Relevancy 21.5%

Ive got an Acer 7250g and it was working fine until today.When i turn it on i get "User profile service failed the logon" i cant sign in or do anything-help please.

A:User profile service failed the logon

Welcome to Techspot
If you haven't already done so, this may be a grat place to start and get the 'feel' of this forum,
http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu31.html
The following link may help solve your login problem,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profile-service-failed-the-logon.133880/
Relevancy 21.07%

Our school is moving from a Workgroup setup to a Domain (Active Directory.) I'm having a problem though. When I set up new users all of their local settings disappear. So now I'm looking for an easy way to migrate User Profiles from the Local User to the new active directory user. I know microsoft has the Active Directory Migration Tool but is that truly the BEST way to do it?? The guide is like 100000 pages long so I'm not even sure if I want to go that route. Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/migrating-from-workgroup-to-domain-user-profile-migration.131944/
Relevancy 21.93%

hi all i'm new here so be patient and gentle pls.

my question is can i read a report or log file that will tell me how long users have been logged into my server. i run sbs2003 and have some users on remote access via vpn, does the monitoring on the system allow me to view log in times for each user and how long they are logged in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-user-log-in-times.129887/
Relevancy 29.24%

Lets use this thread to make a list of usefull tools which overclockers use.

Prime 95- Cpu and memory stability test
Memtest- Memory Stability
HD tune- hard drive benchmark
Everest- Multifunction hardware analysis. Great memory benchmark.
Sis Soft Sandra- Multifunction hardware analysis
Core Temp- CPU temperature (measures top of die, unlike other monitors)
CPU Z- reports cpu and ram speeds.
GPU Z- for graphics card speed reporting.
Memset- For advanced ram timing and subtiming tweaking.

Open for suggestions.

A:Tools for the Overclocker

I suggest 3dmark06 as well for a late machine. I've personally gotten through prime95 and some other programs fine, gone through 3dmark06 and bsod.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tools-for-the-overclocker.129202/
Relevancy 29.24%

I'm having a strange problem with my main computer. I can log onto AOL and read my e-mail, but I can't open websites. I get a "navigation to the webpage was canceled" message. I've tried various remedies but nothing has worked. The connection is fine, the hardware is fine. I did recently discover a quirk, however...if I go to a saved link to a login page requesting a password, it not only opens that page, it allows me to continue to use that site once I've entered the password. I only have two such links, so there are two sites I can still access.

Any suggestions? I'd rather not have to wipe the thing and start over... Thanks!

A:Problem accessing websites

I'd suggest running the 8 steps and seeing what that produces

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-accessing-websites.128221/
Relevancy 27.52%

I purchased a Dell Latitude C C model PP L at the Salvation Army s outlet store I can not access any drives CD Hard-drive floppy-drive nor can I access CMOS-Setup I simply receive a Message quot quot This computer system WJP - B tools/knowledge C600 notebook Need Latitude the get to Dell Password for BIOS the is protected by a password authentication system You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password Please type in the primary or administrator password and press lt Enter gt quot quot I noticed that Need the tools/knowledge to get the BIOS Password for Dell Latitude C600 notebook the website postings mentioned quot latitude exe quot password generator file program which I tried but it is geared to only receiving five Need the tools/knowledge to get the BIOS Password for Dell Latitude C600 notebook characters for the Service Tag I also saw mention of Latitude MasterPW exe as being able to generate a Latitude password in response to receiving the Service Tag as an input instruction but I have not seen that anywhere for downloading Where can Latitude MasterPW exe password generator file be downloaded and does anyone know if it would solve my problem and work for my model C C Latitude Any help would be appreciated My Dell is a Latitude C C model PP L Computer system WJP - B Service Tag WJP Express Service Code Thanks in advance Moderator Edit Those free programs are in this thread http www techspot com vb topic html nbsp

A:Need the tools/knowledge to get the BIOS Password for Dell Latitude C600 notebook

you can try finding the manual online and see what it says about resetting the laptop cmos.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-the-tools-knowledge-to-get-the-bios-password-for-dell-latitude-c600-notebook.32489/
Relevancy 28.81%

Im looking to build my own rig soon and i understand that it is almost essential to have good cable management in order for you hardware to be properly displayed through the side panel. So what are good tips and tools that i should look into getting to get a good solid look?

For example: Ties, clips, ect...

A:What are good tools for cable management?

2 words for you...Cable Ties.

These will be your best friend. You need to really keep cable's to the side out of the way of airflow.

There isn't really any fast rules as to how to do that its just your own view. The best way would be to route the cable's behind the motherboard tray to keep them out of view.
My PC was a mess as you may see in my TechSpot gallery pictures so Ive tidied them up (posting picture soon)
Basically all i did was Cable tie the PSU cable together and put them behind the motherboard tray out the way. Then for the IDE cable's I put my drive in backwards and routed the IDE cable around the back of the hard drive case stand out the way.

Also when your parts come and you build in the end don't expect to use the cables that come with the stuff. In most systems Ive done Ive bought new cables that are much much shorter so as not to have anything dangling around.

Just play and see what's best. The advice I wish I had taken on board would be to get a modular Power supply. I have allot of cables I have not used and really look a mess. With modular you only need to plug in what you need. Its all good.

Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-are-good-tools-for-cable-management.123443/
Relevancy 29.24%

I need to access my motherboard on my Dell 1550 (I know...I know...it sucks) in order to replace the DC Power Jack on it. I cannot seem to find a place with instructions on removing and accessing the motherboard!!

A:Accessing Motherboard

Try chatting with Dell: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100658.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-motherboard.119131/
Relevancy 21.93%

I've had a couple of complaints from a user where I work who cannot login wirelessly using their laptop. They can however logon fine if they plugin an ethernet cable. Once they have logged in, they can use the wireless connection just fine.

What might cause this? I'm struggling to troubleshoot it.

Thanks

A:User cannot logon wirelessly

You must be in a Domain/Networked login environment as WiFi vs wired networking is not germane to user login otherwise.

I think you're in a catch-22; you need the network to login but need login to access the network.

Fix the GPO policy for WiFi users to allow local login to the machine.
This will give the ability to then MAP drives to the infrastructure using the WiFi connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-cannot-logon-wirelessly.116860/
Relevancy 28.81%

Who can give me the PC8394T Programming Tools?
thanks!!!

email removed

A:PC8394T Programming Tools

respect software developers. don't use cracks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc8394t-programming-tools.113346/
Relevancy 21.93%

i was wondering how to get rid of user accounts.the computer im about to get has 3 accounts hogin up the drive so i went into safe mode and change the pass cus i couldnt find how to delete them and that didnt work either.plz help and i thank you all for your previous help that i will be needing.

A:How to delete user accounts

Instructions
Click Start
Click Control Panel
In Control Panel Window click User Accounts
In the user accounts window click the account that you want to delete
Click delete the account.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-delete-user-accounts.113022/
Relevancy 28.81%

hey all you users of an ati 4850/4870 grafics adapter - the new tray tools are available.
and finally there is full support for overclocking and fan control.

I`ve not seen my card getting so "cold",but on the other hand getting so loud (at 100% fan speed) with that stock cooler of ati.
btw - any suggestions for good aftermarket cooling for my 4850?
here is the link:
http://sna696.helloweb.eu/ray/index.php
it leads to to three download mirrors.
have fun speeding up those cards even more - but be aware;there are risks of destoying your hardware,so don`t "over-do it"

A:ATI Tray Tools 1.5.8.1271

yes u can, edit u're post and just paste and it will work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-tray-tools-1-5-8-1271.111501/
Relevancy 28.81%

XP operating system, protected disk area . . .

I want to access files in the XP NTFS System (Protected Area). If I do a "Restore" for any reason, I get everything in the factory-supplied partition, which is a nuisance. Periodically, all I want to do is go into the protected area for a file or two. I do not need a whole lot of junk that I will subsequently delete once the "Restore" is completed (such as "Try & Buy", eg, Corel, etc.). The so-called "options" restore menu is ridiculously small and hasn't anything worth restoring from it. I need a comprehensive list of stuff in the 10gig partition. I have an 80gig drive, 10 gigs used for the system itself. Can I use a function to at least do a "copy & paste" from this area?
~ ~ Jeff S. [email protected]

A:XP Disk Partition, Protected, Accessing

I recomend to read your disk from an ubuntu session

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-disk-partition-protected-accessing.17077/
Relevancy 28.81%

It's the modders eternal question...

Should I spend the afternoon overclocking the CPU, or do I need more RAM, or is my hard drive the real limiter?

For gaming the formula is usually pretty straightforward: make sure you have enough RAM (usually not a factor), then it's all about the graphics card first and CPU second.

I use PCMark alot, but I want to learn more from others.

So: how would you determine what the best place to start upgrading performance is?

For a twist let's assume that it isn't all about the graphics (so optimize around Office or "typical" use). Or just talk about your favorite Benmarking programs. (Incidentally I DON'T recommend PCMark despite using it. I'm kind of unhappy with it and it isn't free so I don't want others buying it because I mentioned it).

A:Best tools for figuring out what component is limiting you?

dark green said:

It's the modders eternal question...

Should I spend the afternoon overclocking the CPU, or do I need more RAM, or is my hard drive the real limiter?

For gaming the formula is usually pretty straightforward: make sure you have enough RAM (usually not a factor), then it's all about the graphics card first and CPU second.

I use PCMark alot, but I want to learn more from others.

So: how would you determine what the best place to start upgrading performance is?

For a twist let's assume that it isn't all about the graphics (so optimize around Office or "typical" use). Or just talk about your favorite Benmarking programs. (Incidentally I DON'T recommend PCMark despite using it. I'm kind of unhappy with it and it isn't free so I don't want others buying it because I mentioned it).Click to expand...

You HDD is usually something thats NOT the limiter in performance. The MAIN limiters are the graphics card, CPU, RAM and the motherboard your using.

Finding out what is the limiter can be as simple as knowing what your components are capable of, and it can be as hard as having to tweak every little setting until you figure out which component is limiting you.

What is this for exactly. Your own PC. if yes, than please list your PC specs so I can determine what is or could be the limiting component of your PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-tools-for-figuring-out-what-component-is-limiting-you.101538/
Relevancy 28.81%

i ve got a valuepoint access point that i could not remember the password to so i reset it to factory defaults after doing this i saw the SSID change to simply quot wireless quot as did the network name that appears with netscan Trouble accessing point access changed to the mac address this all seems well and like everything is back to defaults except i cannot log into the administration tool the valuepoint website states the login password should be root root or in the case of some older equipment admin public i ve tried both of these combinations to no avail and valuepoint is of no further help so my question is does anyone have any suggestions for getting into this thing i m willing to go so far as to try a brute force attack on the stupid thing if it means i might be able to get in unfortunately i cannot provide a model number because it is not listed on the equipment it is simply labeled quot high performance access point quot i can get the serial number and mac address if thats of any use to anyone thanks nbsp

A:Trouble accessing access point

Try
admin
password

all lower case

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trouble-accessing-access-point.105538/
Relevancy 32.25%

I have a laptop ADVENT (Pcworld) Crab I now. I took out HDD, It boots up OK using Windows CD like 2000 and XP installation CD.
I connected It to another computer using HDD external Kit USB connection, HDD is seeing and working.
When I put it back into the Advent Laptop. It boots up to Screen with Intel sign in the middle and nothing happened. It prevent me for using F1 F2 or other F command, I cannot go to bios at all. When I remove the HDD from laptop. I can go all the way to windows installation and bios extra but without HDD detection.
Any advice is highly appreciated.

A:Laptop HDD prevent me from booting

Definately sounds like a connection issue.

But try this first anyway:-

Remove all power (adaptor and battery)
Hold down the power button for 30 secs (dispersing all internal voltage)
Insert the power adaptor only (you can put the battery back later, when off again)
Turn on your laptop

Reply back

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-hdd-prevent-me-from-booting.104755/
Relevancy 29.24%

Fixed the problem

A:D-Link accessing problem

Your DSL router must be the main unit, and must be setup first.. You Can install the DI-524 as a router, but then must connect to the DSL modem port.
The Di-524 then connected to the DSL port, and the cable from the #1 port on the DI-524 going to computer will work, as will the wireless.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/d-link-accessing-problem.104926/
Relevancy 27.52%

Please help!

I have tried 2 different usb wireless adapters on my desktop to "associate" with my westell model 327W router connected (& functioning (from verizon dsl) to my laptop & the ssid is detected correctly but the MAC does not match the router's MAC! Both of the adapters I've tried (NETGEAR & Linksys) detect the same MAC. Again, the ssid matches my routers' but the MAC is incorrect (according to the bottom of the router). What can I do? Argh!

Thanks in advance for any insight!
chiquita

A:Accessing router from usb wireless adapter-ssid detected correctly but MAC incorrect

If you're report is correct, then likely that you are discovering a nearby neighbor's router with the same ssid.

you should use a wire connect, access the router and change the ssid to something
person (ie not the default) AND the admin password. Save and restart the router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-router-from-usb-wireless-adapter-ssid-detected-correctly-but-mac-incorrect.103733/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi

Is there a way to remove administrative tools and command prompt from a windows 2003 server lock down terminal session?

Thanks,
G

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-admin-tools-and-command-prompt-from-terminal-session.103873/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello I have HDD WD GB which any tools to HDD dying, diagnose? are kinda old bought them about years ago and WD GB I bought months ago So I can hear one of them is quot clicking quot not continuosly but eventually after - hours of use HDD dying, any tools to diagnose? I hear or quot clicks quot within a lapse of time of seconds each quot click quot then it won t happen again until hours or days however this have been happening more often in the last days Based on my experience for me this could be head write read problem please correct me if I m wrong but the real issue is I don t know which of the is the one is failing do you know any good tool to test the HDD my guess is one of the old ones is going bad but that s just a guess I need to be sure to back up my data ASAP since I have a lot of important data there nbsp

A:HDD dying, any tools to diagnose?

One of the "Read:" messages at the top of this forum is Drive Diagnostics Utilities Compendium

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-dying-any-tools-to-diagnose.102874/
Relevancy 21.93%

Im in an office where by we are around 10-20 users on the LAN.im not the network administrator, but i would like to know a way i would block a user from downloading because it really slows us down ...any advice?

A:How to stop a user from downloading on a LAN

yes, well i think go to 192.0.0.1 and figure ur self threw its really easy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-stop-a-user-from-downloading-on-a-lan.103413/
Relevancy 29.24%

My laptop s on off switch broke this week and I took it in to be repaired The technician removed the hard drive Need files help an enclosure accessing in for me and put it in an enclosure He told me he checked to see that I could bring up files He also told Need help accessing files in an enclosure me it works like an external drive which I have been using so I am familiar with them I cannot find any of my files on the drive When I click on quot Owner quot Need help accessing files in an enclosure under quot Documents and Need help accessing files in an enclosure Settings quot I get an error message Access denied When I hold the mouse over it I get an quot empty folder quot message I called the shop and the only suggestion I got was to search quot Windows quot for a file I cannot bring up any files When I do a broad search - such as doc or xls I get only the files in the Program Files Can any one help me Joy nbsp

A:Need help accessing files in an enclosure

Thank you for your quick reply. But I have 2 questions.

1. When I click on the icon to safely remove hardware - I get a message that the drive cannot be stopped at this time. Do I have to wait until I can stop the drive so I won't corrupt it, before I turn off the pc?

2. Senior moment here: which function key do I hit to start in Safe Mode?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-accessing-files-in-an-enclosure.102099/
Relevancy 29.24%

My laptop s on off switch broke this week and I took it in to be repaired The technician removed the hard drive for me and put it in an enclosure He told me he checked to see that I could bring up files He also told me it works like an external drive which I have been using so I am familiar with them I cannot find any of my files on the drive When I click on quot Owner quot under quot Documents and Settings quot I get an error message Access denied When I hold the mouse over it an help in accessing enclosure files Need I get an quot empty folder quot message I called the shop and the only suggestion Need help accessing files in an enclosure I got was to search quot Windows quot for a file I cannot bring up any files When I do a broad search - such as doc or xls I get only the files in the Program Files Can any one help me Joy nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-accessing-files-in-an-enclosure.102098/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi guys,
i would like your opinions on which brand of routers do you think is the best and most user-friendly to use. By user-friendly i mean that it is easy to configure and there are sufficient step-by-step instructions on the manual to help you set up a successful connection.

I have been using a Planet XRT-401C and i highly advise you NOT to use it. There's simply insufficient instructions given on the manual on how to configure it. I also keep having connection issues (limited connectivity) when connecting 2 of my PCs using this router.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

A:The best and most user-friendly router to use?

Cisco is the best, but expensive
Netgear is very easy.
LinkSys and DLink are relatively easy and offer more downloads and install help online than most others.
Consider the LinkSys WRT330N, or the DLink Router which includes wireless, which is a dream to setup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-best-and-most-user-friendly-router-to-use.100896/
Relevancy 21.07%

We have a new user that has returned, she is at a remote location, so she logs on via Terminal Services. If we log into the Terminal Server as her from the home office we cannot access the network program, and she cannot from her remote location, either. If we log on as her on one of the computers here at the home office, we can access the program just fine. If we log into the Terminal Server as ourself, we can open the program. We just tried deleting the user and recreating it, and there was no change. Anyone have any suggestions?

A:New User on Terminal Services cannot open network program

What is your network, and who is your provider?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-user-on-terminal-services-cannot-open-network-program.87774/
Relevancy 29.24%

Ok, I sold my laptop but kept the harddrive. I bought a new laptop with no hard drive, old hard drive was ide, new laptop sata. Bought external hdd cable, booted to old harddrive blue screen of death. The problem: I am looking for a way to access my files on the old hard drive through the new drives xp install?? I had the old hdd password protected so when i open the files it says access denied. I am using xp home now and can't change the security settings. Does anyone know of a program or way for me to recover the files off the old harddrive??

A:Accessing protected files?

never mind all, found out i had to create a network and then the tab appears. only in windows

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-protected-files.100637/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have an oldish PC (circa 2000) which has died.

It ran Windows ME. The HDD is Seagate. [40GB Seagate St340823A]

I am wondering if I can salvage the HDD, at least to the extent of recovering some data from it.

I realise that one way would be to take another PC, and to add the drive in there.

But I was wondering if it is possible to buy an external hard drive and to use that instead.

Ideally, I'd like to know if there are any which come with spare space which can be easily used.

But failing that, how easy would it be to take the HDD out of an external drive, then temporarily insert the HDD from the old PC (so as to retrieve data) and then put the external drive back to its original condition?

Thanks

A:Accessing info from HDD in dead PC

the only way to extract data is to move that drive to another computer if the computer it is on is dead.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-info-from-hdd-in-dead-pc.97410/
Relevancy 29.24%

My laptop recently broke down and i was thinking of recovering the Harddrive so i bought a external case for, the problem is that when i was using my laptop i had "my documents" set to private so that now i cant access the file from my desktop because it wont give me access to the folder

Is there a way that i can move around the protection, such as a recovery program or something

A:Problem with accessing file's

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-accessing-files.94007/
Relevancy 28.38%

When i try to access any files over my network but only when i try to access files from my base unit(wired) either from my dell laptop(wireless) or ps3(wired). The base unit just reboots with no warning just the monitor goes black and the machine automatically reboots.
I'm using a buffalo wbr g54 router the base unit is a abit ul8 motherboard with an athlon64 with 1gb memory running xp home, I was using norton anti-virus/internet security on the base unit but have un-installed to see if this made a difference but not as yet. Ive updated motherboard firmware but still the same. I have no conflicts in device manager and the psu is an decent unit
Any advice would go a long way to helping me sort this out.
Thanks in advance

A:Instant Reboot when accessing networked files

I would start with the NIC - if this is an on board NIC fit a new one into a PCI slot and try again.
If you are running with fixed IP addresses I have seen this before - just check that there are no duplicated preset IP addresses as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/instant-reboot-when-accessing-networked-files.92960/
Relevancy 28.38%

Ok friends i m having a bad time with my hdds I have this gb seagate which i was using It has my OS installed and it has partitions I went to sleep and kept my comp on but i saw in the morning that the computer had restarted and was on the pre-bios screen where it dint detect my hdd but did detect my dvd drive I switched the pc off on and it appeared back i fix Tools HDD Doesn't boots/Seagate bad can't sectors. went on to boot to my windows but it again restarted I tried booting into safe mode but it restarted again Finally i made another attempt but this time it would just show me an error HDD Doesn't boots/Seagate Tools can't fix bad sectors. quot drive read fail Press alt ctrl del to restart quot I then tried to scan my hdd with seagate hdd diagonistic tools it detected bad sectors but when i tried to repair them it dint work i mean it would just stay on the first sector and the text quot TESTING quot keeps blinking I ran the scan again and the same thing happened I ran the scan again but this time skipping the first one and repairing the next one but again it kept the text quot testing quot blinking and sticking to the nd sector itself I dont know why is this happening This is the nd time in weeks my hdd is acting up the st one died completely suddenly I recently fixed the bad sectors in this same hdd but donno how it would gain so many bad sectors back again so soon Why is this happening And why doesn t the seagate tools fix the errors knowing that it fixed some bad sectors just past week on the same drive Please help me thank you all in advance and my regards to all nbsp

A:HDD Doesn't boots/Seagate Tools can't fix bad sectors.

Looks like the hdd is faulty and in need of being replaced to me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-doesnt-boots-seagate-tools-cant-fix-bad-sectors.90437/
Relevancy 27.95%

Help Drive 128Mb Integral accessing Problem Flash file on required to enable me to access an excel file on my Integral Mb Flash Drive Has worked perfectly on or machines that I use until yesterday Then I used it on a different machine and it was not recognised when i plugged it in Installed the USB device hardware software Problem accessing file on Integral 128Mb Flash Drive and opened up an excel file did a few amendments and saved it When i come to open it up from the Flash Drive on my own machine it says quot file cannot be accessed File may be read only or i may be trying to access a read only location Or the server the document is stored on may not be responding quot Can see the file and the fact that it was updated and the number of bytes etc when i look in properties but cannot open it Have tried PC Inspector File recovery software without success File is v important and would appreciate some help Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Problem accessing file on Integral 128Mb Flash Drive

I would treat the flash drive as suspect from here on in. Take it back to the machine where you saved it to the drive and open it there - if you can do this it may only have been a permissions issue but if you can, try another drive. You might recover the drive with a format once you have your file safe.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-accessing-file-on-integral-128mb-flash-drive.89911/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have an HP 4050 printer, that is a local printer on a station, and one of my other computers that prints to that printer, their tray 3 says Not Available. Can someone please tell me how I can fix that, so they can print to the 3rd tray. I know I have recently done this on another computer for a Network HP 4050 printer, but I don't remember what I did, I just kind of happened upon the fix. Thanks.

A:HP4050 shared printer, one user cannot see tray 3

If each user has access rights, have you clicked in the advanced tab under properties and made sure tray 3 IS available?
You have to do this on each users setup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp4050-shared-printer-one-user-cannot-see-tray-3.87947/
Relevancy 21.07%

I am a great example of how a little learning is a dangerous thing After a disasterous Acer laptop purchase boooo I inherited a custom build Czech desktop I live abroad After dealing with a particularly nasty virus I decided to attempt a little clean-up Notice to s Don t do this For the last three days I have been researching how I managed to remove the sound from the machine My User Idiocy? Driver? of Lack - Audio Card? research shows Lack of Audio - Driver? Card? User Idiocy? that I am not alone but a hundred tech websites later and countless downloads later I am ready to eat my humble pie and admit I need professional help I run Windows Professional Aida reports I have nothing under Multimedia- gt Windows Audio PCI device is Intel BA M ICH AC Audio Controller B- My device manager insists that Windows has found new hardware and would like to update Multimedia Audio Controller but can never find any hardware to do the deed The device manager also indicates the yellow exclamation point over the controller as well as a question mark icon for the PCI device Now I know I have a sound card because I had sound before I attempted this disaster Removing the cover of the CPU yielded nothing certain I have downloaded Belarc Aida and DriverScan among others to isolate the information I need I m still clueless Now you see how dangerous I am Please stop me before I do something even worse As a night time addict to old-time radio streams this silence is killing me Sadly and soundlessly yours Lucien Holmes Hluboka nad Vltavou Czech Republic nbsp

A:Lack of Audio - Driver? Card? User Idiocy?

You don't have a sound card, you need the driver for your on-board audio.
Look here:

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/category/10/

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&...udio+Controller+%28B-&btnG=Search&sitesearch=

By reading this link you may be better off buying a sound card:
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.co...l-r-82801ba-bam-ac97-audio-controller-15.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lack-of-audio-driver-card-user-idiocy.87052/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi
I have a Belkin wireless router, l have 2 PC's connected to it and both cant get into selected sites - UK lottery being just one of many

Can anyone tell me if there are any settings in the router that can be altered to allow access to sites that l cant currently get in to

Both PC's worked fine before going wireless now both have the same problem - I have set IE settings to the minimum on everything but it makes no difference so l am assuming it has something to do with the router settings

Thanks in advance

A:Problem Accessing Some Sites Via Belkin

Can you check that you definitely have a connection by going to another site that you have never visited before? Sometimes it can seem like the connection is working, when actually its just getting the pages from your cache. (Although, if you posted that message from one of the PC's then you definitely have a connection).

If you are definitely connected, but you can't see some specific sites, I would struggle to help. If you don't have any software that might be interfering (pop up blockers / firewall / virus / spyware / adware / cookie blocker / any software that basically blocks a site if it doesn't like something about it), then its most likely a setting in the router. I once had that issue and someone fixed it for me, but I forgot what its called... If I remember, I'll post back.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-accessing-some-sites-via-belkin.86838/
Relevancy 29.24%

This may sound like a very strange idea but what i want to do is:
Have a server laptop on running LogMeIn with my computer harddrive shared to it. When i am at school and i connect to Logmein the shared drive shows up. What i was wondering is: is it possible to leave a harddrive powered up and shared but the rest of the computer powered down?
Yes i know it sounds like a very strange question but if it is possible it will save a lot of power.
I am running windows vista home premium and windows xp professional.

Thanks
Allan

A:Accessing the harddrive of an off computer!

In short, no.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-the-harddrive-of-an-off-computer.85172/
Relevancy 29.24%

Help with Remote Access/Software for.

I frequently help my friends fix their computers. Is there any software/capability to be able to run a firewire/ethernet cable to their pc and access their computer. I'm sure there is software out there I am just not sure of it. All suggestions would be helpful. I am to the point where it would be easier with the amount of computers i work on, to hook up my laptop to access there stuff.

thanks,

HUnter

A:Help with accessing computers with software

I assume u are using WindowsXP, go to the Control Panel, System, then to system properties and to remote and check this in all the systems. the other computers will have to e-mail u when they need help but once done u will have complete controll over there computer and be able to see the computer as if it was the one in front of u.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-accessing-computers-with-software.83272/
Relevancy 31.39%

My Dell broke recently when the mobo fried so I bought a new case PSU mobo cooler and RAM in order to salvage the remaining parts that worked just fine Being the first PC I ve ever built I took out the CPU from the old PC and placed it in the new lack from thermal compound Can turning PC of prevent your a on? one but didn t apply thermal compound Can a lack of thermal compound prevent your PC from turning on? because I thought it already had some on I placed on the cooler installed and hooked up everything and tried to turn it on However the LED lights in the front would only turn on for about half a second and the case fan would start for a couple seconds before the computer stopped I tried numerous things from testing each stick of RAM to disconnecting and reconnecting all the wires I took off the cooler finally and saw that the bottom not metal but some weird gray looking mesh had melted onto the CPU s heatsink No damage seems to have been done to either part only a melted compound If I get some thermal paste should the PC start properly nbsp

A:Can a lack of thermal compound prevent your PC from turning on?

this belongs in the "dumb things people do to their PCs" thread.

YES. Failure to disspate heat can fry your CPU.
Thermal compund is designed to disappate it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-a-lack-of-thermal-compound-prevent-your-pc-from-turning-on.82923/
Relevancy 28.81%

I have replaced an NT primary domain controller with a server I still have an Nt server as an application server and NT server 4 Domain in accessing 2003 a as a Backup Domain Controller It has been running fine until I add a new user that was never in the old domain Any new users that get added cannot authenticate to the NT server All the previous users were already in the accessing NT 4 server in a 2003 Domain BDC when I change over I cannot figure out why I can authenticate as Administrator and any old users I have sp a loaded someone said this would help and have even added the new users to the Domain Admin group but still nothing I cannot upgrade the Nt server as the application is an ERP system that is run throughout the company and I am told will not be supported in anything other than the NT environment If I add users on the NT first it updates the PDC just fine but I still can t access the shares Any Ideas Rdb nbsp

A:accessing NT 4 server in a 2003 Domain

Try demoting the NT4 server so it is no longer a DC and integrating it through DNS into your network.

Because your NT4 server is PDC, there is alot to do in order to keep the NT4 server as a DC and integrate it into a Server 2003 Schema AD network.
It is really not worth doing to be honest! Your NT4 server should run fine as a server, but not as a DC within your Server 2003 environment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-nt-4-server-in-a-2003-domain.79373/
Relevancy 31.82%

I need all advices possible please, because I don't want to buy 1 hard drive every few years.

A:How do you prevent a Hard Drive from dying?

The only way to prevent that from happening is to never buy one! What HDD are you looking at buying? The best thing to do is buy a quality hard drive from the start. Like Western Digital, Maxtor etc. I personally have only had 1 fail on me over the years.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-prevent-a-hard-drive-from-dying.77203/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello I have trouble accessing my Linksys Router model wrt54g. I don't remember changing the password and I try typing in admin for the user and none for the password. Thank you for your help.

A:Help with accessing my router

The typical router user/passwords for linksys are:

user/admin:

admin/admin
admin/
admin/pass
/admin
/pass

If need be, you can reset your router to factory defaults by holding down the "Reset" button located on the back of the device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-accessing-my-router.76020/
Relevancy 31.82%

well there r lot of software which recover hard disk...

but i wud like to know if it is ever possible to prevent the recovery of hard disk by means of any software? or do i just need to break my hard disk into 2?

A:Prevent hard disk recovery??

To prevent data recovery by normal software, then overwriting the entire disk contents once will do.

Special lab equipment (and/or manufacturer-specifc software?) can recover even overwritten data. If you overwrite with certain patterns many times, then it becomes more difficult to restore stuff.

Mind you, according to US DoD (or whatever the often (mis)quoted standard was), the only accepted way of destroying "top secret" material from magnetic media is either disintegration or degaussing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prevent-hard-disk-recovery.74266/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi,

I would like to know if there are any tools available on the internet to trace an email.It's a junk mail.Please help.

A:Tools for email trace

You can check e-mail headers via the options button while in an e-mail. Copy and paste the text from one and we'll see if we can trace its origin (blank out any important network information to do with yourself or your company such as public IP address if you like).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tools-for-email-trace.74023/
Relevancy 29.24%

I don't know why this is happening, but maybe someone can help. I have a HP dv8000 laptop running wireless through a linksys router. Most programs that need to connect (AVG, Spybot, iTunes, etc.) keep telling me that my network is not available. I don't have this trouble with the same programs on my desktop. Another example is that most games (except CounterStrike, for whatever reason) won't connect in multiplayer mode. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance-

Eric

A:Problem with programs accessing the net

Make sure you don't use third party software for wireless connection. Use XP Wireless connection is faster.

Those a drops you're getting with the wireless connection either it coming from the router or something is making it happen. Micowave 2.4Ghz wireless phone things like that...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-programs-accessing-the-net.65895/
Relevancy 28.81%

Helo all

Can anyone recomend any good tools for finding out technical information about a graphics card (x1900)

Like how many pipelines are active memory type ect..

Thank you

A:Graphics Card Tools

try RIVATUNER, or ATITool

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-tools.64667/
Relevancy 21.5%

I'm in need of help!! I've been searching for a solution to this for the last 3 hours n I'm just tired now...

What I'm trying to figure out is why, when I switch user profiles, the profile I'm leaving disconnects from the internet... If anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciate it!! I'm sure it's probably something stupidly simple but I just can't figure it out...

I am using an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection in an Inspiron E1705 using WinXP Pro w/SP2... if you need any more information I'll provide it...

Thanks for anyone's time put into this...

A:Internet Connection between 2 user profiles...

instead of loging out you can try "fast user switching" (windows + L)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-connection-between-2-user-profiles.60240/
Relevancy 28.81%

I now have an EVGA GeForce 6200 64-Bit 128mb video card. I am not that happy with it, being only 64-Bit, but I can deal with it. I am just wondering what tools I can use to tweak/overclock the card, and how to do so (my skill is not doing this in computers). Please help me!

A:Video Card Tweaking Tools

The best tool for OCing Nvidia cards is Riva Tuner, there are various stuff that it can do but the best is unlocking pipelines, on a 6200 there are several to unlock.
Here's a Link to a unlocikng guide.Only the NV43 A2 GPU can be unlocked (not NV43 A4). The result: you will have a a GPU like the 6600 series use, because the 6200 and the 6600 are the same GPU, the NV43, only the 6200 has more piplines locked.
You can also raise the card's voltage with NiBiTor & NvFlash.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-tweaking-tools.54205/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi This is my first post here so im not sure if this is in the right place novice user... computer Advice for Ive come to this site alot whenever ive experienced any pc difficulties and thus far it has proven to be very helpful particularly the forums Anyway onto my question First things first im a novice with pcs i dont really Advice for novice computer user... understand much about them only the very basics and selective areas of which I have a dell dimension pc which at first i thought was a pretty good computer untill i got the sims and other newer pc games then i found out that it was far from the best for playing more hardware demanding games At first i figured id just upgrade the graphics card to the best available for PCI slots but the more research i did the more obvious it became that this might not be enough and that especially given how fast the dell dim has aged it might be a wiser decision to get a new motherboard too As ive mentioned im not really pc-savvy and some of this stuff will be way over my head So if anybody could give me in lamans terms any advice on what to do i want to definitly upgrade my pcs graphics card also anybody know a good PCI slot graphics card to use with games such as the sims but im sure about upgrading my motherboard Any help or suggestions on the matter would be really appreciated nbsp

A:Advice for novice computer user...

if you are wanting to play graphically demanding games a PCI video card is a waste of money. If you decide to upgrade your going to need a new mobo AND a copy of Windows XP. your dell disk will not install windows on a non dell mobo.

download and run SIW it will tell you what MOtherboard, ram, and video card you presently have. list it here and we can assist you in what your best options are.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-for-novice-computer-user.53097/
Relevancy 29.24%

I am new to tweaking a computer, and am wondering what some good programs are to overclock my system. Also, how do you overclock?

A:Overclocking Tools?

Check out this site and see if your hardware is overclockable (if that's even a word)

http://www.overclockers.com/

They can tell you how to overclock your specific hardware and they will also tell you how you could fry your system......Good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-tools.53055/