Windows Support Forum

Question about a home network using a Linksys WRT54GS2

Q: Question about a home network using a Linksys WRT54GS2

If I'm able to, how would I go about running a network hub from an existing port on the router?

I.E. Modem->Router->PCs/Hub->TV/PC

In theory I'm trying to run a wired connection to my room and have the ability to have my PC/TV and any other devices connected to the network physically, my wireless strength isn't exactly good and it's very inconsistent at best when it comes to my internet speeds makes it a bit harder to watch Netflix/Play games.

Any insight would be wonderful!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Question about a home network using a Linksys WRT54GS2

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Question about a home network using a Linksys WRT54GS2

Modem > Router >

Then use a LAN port on the router to connect to a LAN port on the hub.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-a-home-network-using-a-linksys-wrt54gs2.197409/
Relevancy 84.71%

So I just got a laptop and I'm trying to set up wireless. I do have the BEFSR41 because of the gaming consoles, and none of the other computer that I have our wireless. I picked up this router specifically for the laptop, and I read that both can be run at the same time. I've done everything as far as installing the software, I can't go to the admin page because they are the same thing for both. The laptop sees connections in my neighborhood, but not mine. Am I doing something wrong?

Anyone that can provide any input would be greatly appreciated. I've lost many hours of sleep trying to set this up, and to no avail.

Relevancy 83.85%

Not sure if this should be posted on games or networking but whatever...anyway I cannot make a Steam server for any game. Every time I do, the clients say that Steam says it's (Not Responding). I've turned the LAN function off and it still blocks it out. Oh and when my friends look at the server details from their side it says the server is located at 192.168.1.1

A:Linksys WRT54GS2 blocking my games...

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-11615-trouble-with-online-gaming-when-using-router

you may need a static address, info at bottom of page

other issues are password hacking, many resolve steam issues with setting up another account, also corrupted info file

again bottom of page
http://www.techimo.com/forum/general-gaming-discussion/157959-connecting-steam-problems.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-wrt54gs2-blocking-my-games.934443/
Relevancy 66.22%

Desktop Win XP Pro and HP Laptop Win XP Pro hard cabled Cat5e to a Linksys router but cannot see each other. However, I can ping the 192.168.1.xxx IP of the other computer from a command prompt.

Same workgroup name.
Windows Firewall enabled - Exceptions permits file and printer sharing.
Registry Restrictanonymous set to 0.
Local Connection\TCP\Advanced\Wins\Netbios over TCP enabled.
Local Security Policy\Access this computer...\ includes Administrators and Everyone
Zone Alarm not installed

If I click on Network Places it shows the Linksys router.
If I click on Microsoft Windows Network it shows the correct workgroup name
If I click on the workgroup icon, nothing appears. Not even the local machine.

Thanks for any help.
Travel2learn

A:Home Network thru Linksys BEFW11S4 V2/V3

Sorry. Posted too soon. I finally rebooted each computer and they now display both machines when I click on the workgroup icon. However I still have issues.

Clicking on the local machine opens all shares immediately, but clicking on the other results in a logon failure.

I'm logged on to each machine with the exact same username and password. In Local Users and Groups the user name and password on each computer is the same. The Administrator account has the same password on each computer. Guest is also enabled.

Thanks for any help,
Travel2learn

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-thru-linksys-befw11s4-v2-v3.498370/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a linksys roughter on myth my computers so they share the internet and i wanded to now how i can control recever computer to this one(thebase computer)
both run on windows xp
if that makes any sense

thanks

Relevancy 65.36%

Can anyone offer help on this, please?

I have a new 64-bit desktop running Windows 7 (Home Premium) and an old 32-bit laptop running XP Pro, networked via a linksys router with a HP printer attached to the desktop. I have installed a Windows 7 printer driver in the desktop, and it prints fine. I can no longer print from the laptop, however, although it recognises the printer.

The desktop replaces a previous one running XP Pro. I don't think I have a printer driver in the laptop (but it is possible), nor do I know if it is necessary.

Can I get around this problem by installing an XP driver in the laptop, or is there a 32- vs 64-bit incompatibility causing it?

Thanks!

A:Home network printer, linksys router, 2 different OSs

If you connect the laptop directly to the printer and install the driver and check that everything is working.

once this is done disconnect the direct link and go through the network add printer and it should see the printer and allow you to use the "existing driver"

if not you need to create a new port in the xp printer driver, ( printer properties - ports- add port), a TCP/IP port pointing to the address that the printer is on the network - (either the machine address,(/computername/printername), IP address,(/192.n.n.n/printername) or just the IP address for a network printer

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/107207-home-network-printer-linksys-router-2-different-oss.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

Recently I've been getting problems to connect to my internet wirelessly whenever someone is on the phone sometimes. I'm using Rogers High Speed cable internet. I recently switched to another landline service (from Bell to Rogers, Toronto). I suspect it has something to do with Rogers installing a cable modem thing for my home phone. Is it possible that the landline phone cable interferes with my internet connection? Or is it just due to the interference caused by the cordless phone?

Thanks.

Relevancy 64.07%

Hi All

I have recently renewed my Linksys WRT54G router and need to security protect my home wifi network. When I access the router admin panel and go to Wireless > Wireless Security > Security Mods, I see the following options:

Disable (currently selected)
WPA Personal
WPA Enterprise
WPA2 personal
WPA2 Enterprise
RADIUS
WEP

I assume the mode I need is WEP, but when I select that I am faced with another screen of options, and it is this screen I need information on please (see screenshot).

Which Transmit Key should I select, which WEP encryption should I select, and what passphrase should I use...? Also, when I then do this, what will happen to the laptops on my network when they try to access the internet? Will they be prompted to enter the 4 keys that are generated? Will this be just once, or each time they access the net?

Thanks all.

Relevancy 63.64%

Linksys WRT330N,
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=3266523379B01
Seeing how i am upgrading my Router in my home i want to upgrade my Wired Cables that i use. From what i have seen on dealers websites and ebay is CAt6 Patch cable.

Am i able to use Patch cable for that type of router? Or do i have to use a specific Cable type? I want to maximize my Network Speed and have already began ripping my cat 5 out lol.
Dennis

A:Linksys WRT330N Network Cable Question

Well, I hate to tell you this, but you won't see any additional speed using CAT6 cable, unless you have really long runs. I've seen installations with 100 foot CAT5 cables running error-free gigabit Ethernet at full speed. It's obviously better to run at least CAT5e (fully certified for gigabit) or better, but for shorter runs, CAT5 works fine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-wrt330n-network-cable-question.627039/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello I m trying to complete a wire network installation at my home with three desktop computers XP Network Home Question all running XP Home Cisco DSL modem and a Linksys router The problem is When I go to My Network Places at XP Home Network Question any one computer I can only see ONE other computers shared folder When I am at computer A for example I should be able to see TWO shared folders I should see a Shared Folder for computer B and one for computer C But I can only see ONE other Shared Folder IF I am at Computer C I can only see computer A s Shared Folder If I m at computer B I can only see computer C s Shared Folder etc What I have done so far Tested continuity on Ethernet connections good Ran ipconfig on all computers and recorded IP data in Internet Protocal properties DNS Servers are filled in Network card drivers are up to date McAfee VC ver under XP Home Network Question Manage Network enabled admin rights to all computers With windows firewall on and off ran Network Wizard on all three computers Selecting This computer connects to the Internet directly or through a network hub Other computers on my network also connect to the Internet directly or through a hub Network name is the same on all computers Turn on file and printer sharing is selected Opened Explore and found Shared Documents on all computers and enabled sharing and selected Share this folder on the network Allow network users to change my files There is no Permissions tab in XP Home Help and Support Center Use TOOLS to view your computer information and diagnose problems Selected Network Diagnosis Scan Passed All three computers successfully share one printer So again why can I not see the two other computers Shared Folders on any one of the networked computers Thanks so much for the help nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi Everyone Sorry for the newb question but my knowledge of the ins and outs of networks leaves a bit to be Question Network Home desired I am going to be renting a bedroom townhouse along with my girlfriend and when I toured the townhouse before signing the lease I noticed it was fully wired for phone ethernet and cable In every room there is a wall plate with a cable outlet a phone outlet and a Cat outlet in it The ethernet port is labeled quot Cat quot and the phone jack is labeled quot Phone quot so from where I am standing it could get Home Network Question any easier for me What we are going to do Home Network Question is have the cable modem put in a central room in the townhome then I want to make all of the Cat outlets in the townhouse live but I do not know what I need or how to do this I will say that in the master bedroom there is a panel and in previous houses I have been in the stuff behind the panel controls the cable TV throughout the house So what do I need Home Network Question to do to get all the Cat jacks in the townhome live Is is as simple as running a Cat cable from the modem to a router and then to a Cat jack in one of the rooms or is there more to it than this Thanks everyone nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

In "My Network Places" it used to say the computers are local. The way I DO want it.
I only connect one computer at a time to the internet independently.

Now it says in "Network locations" The Internet.
I don't remember when it changed or why.

I just wonder if some virus, trojan or what altered. Also in TaskManager, there is nothing under USERS, where it used to say my name.

any help-idea is appreciated.

A:network only at home question

I believe this is strictly a cosmetic issue. I've seen this before, and there was some simple fix that escapes me at the moment.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-only-at-home-question.895223/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a question about whether or not the home network that I have planned will work. Here is the planned setup:

FIOS Router -> 8 port switch

8 port switch:
1) From FIOS Router
2) PC
3) Wireless Router (Used only for WIFI capabilities)
4) Printer
5) Another PC
6) Another PC
7) Out to wall (explained later)
8 ) Spare

Out to wall: This connection goes to the living room where I have multiple devices that require a connection (PS3, TV, etc).

So, my question is that will I be able to put another switch in the living room to take the connection from 7) and further split it among the devices in the living room?

If so, will I be able to see the other computers on the first switch from my PS3 so I can stream from them?

Thank you.

A:Home Network Question

Yes, you can put another switch in the living room to split off the connection to those devices. I would get a wireless access point instead of another router for the Wifi piece.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-question.1023000/
Relevancy 56.33%

ok, so my apartment offers free wifi and i have one computer currently using it but i have two computers and only 1 wifi adapter. one computer is running xp and the other is running win 7. i have a wired router to connect the two computers but when i do i lose my internet connection. what im trying to figure out is can i have my 2 computers connected via the router and still get my wifi signal? also is there a way to make it so both my computers can access the internet through the one computer with the wife adapter? by the way the computer connected to the internet is the one running 7 and number one on the router. any suggestions?

A:home network question

depends very much on the router - whats the make and model - if it can be used as a wireless access point
But why not purchase another wifi adapter for the other PC - they are very cheap

Whats the make and models of the PCs - are they both Desktops ?
most laptops running XP or windows 7 would have wifi adapters already installed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-question.982092/
Relevancy 56.33%

First, thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions...

Is there any advantage to managing a home network on a seperate pc that is dedicated to only manage my modem, router, voip, adapters? Right now I'm using my family desktop workstation to manage the devices. The desktop is used for everything else too including word processing, email, etc. It's also the only PC that is wired to the router. All other 10 devices are connected wireless (excluding voip). I would also wire this box if it makes any sense.

I have some older boxes sitting around.
Thought i would ask the question before getting rid of them.
Or am I just having another senior moment?

Thank you,

BigDog in Texas

A:Home network question

How much "managing" do you do?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-question.1023693/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey everyone I m new here and am looking for a bit of expert advice on setting up my new network I recently remodeled my home and installed wired ethernet ports all around the house about in total They are all running to my closet on a shelf where I will have all the Question Network New Home networking stuff located I have Comcast Cable as an ISP my dl is around Mbps and my ul is around Mbps The cable modem is plugged into a Linksys WRT G which has wired devices and the rest being broadcasted wirelessly Here s a list of the devices using the router in the house - Desktop Computers gigabit capable - Laptop Computers using wireless-g -HP Printer can be wired or wireless -TiVo Box wireless-g - Xbox Consoles is currently wired other is using wireless-g -HD Cable Box -iPod Touch Now this New Home Network Question is where I need help I need to make sure that all the Ethernet ports in the house will be able to access the network and the internet I need to have a network fast enough to stream media throughout the house and share internet connection amongst devices without hogging the bandwidth Also on the side from what I hear my connection speed is very strong but the Xbox doesn t reflect that sometimes in-game mostly while hosting games on Xbox Live I need to New Home Network Question make sure that the Xbox is getting the fastest speed possible from the internet with the best ping connection possible If I need to set something up to prioritize the console s connection over other devices I will be glad to I set up a DMZ already on the router for the Xbox to make sure it isn t blocking New Home Network Question any ports but it doesn t look like it affects connection strength Should I be having trouble hosting games with players on the opposite coast with a speed connection usually only up to players I am open to buying new equipment like routers and port switches I am also open to tweaking device or router settings to get the best performance I mainly just need to know how to set up the network so we are getting the full speed from the internet connection while still allowing plenty of bandwidth for other devices in the network except if prioritizing the Xbox connection I d greatly appreciate any help or links to resources or tips Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi,
I have a dell xps420/vista. I took my old computer a dell/windows 98 down to my basement to use in my workshop. I wld like to hook it up wireless. I bought a Linksys RangePlus Wireless Router which I successful connected. (with help fm Linksys-they had me type in 192.168.1.1)

I also bought the Linksys Range Plus Network usb Adapter. I ran the cd on my new computer and got lost when it stated to input my ssid and webkey. I now stopped and have no clue.

Can anyone help?
Also-this may be a stupid question...but does that little brown usb thing go to my old computer? I also don't want to hook it all up unsecure. I am getting confused. I'm no computer wizard. Just an old broad still thinkin' she can do pull through this nonense.

shorelady

Relevancy 55.9%

Hello I m after an answer about my home network its about distance mainly Firstly I have my host computer at one side of the house on this I Network Question Solved: Home have a Netgear Modem Router hooked up and connected directly via Ethernet then I have various other things in my room on the other side of the house such as a Nintendo Wii and a laptop I also use my mobile phone on the odd occasion and they all connect without a problem in the world the problem is I also have a Nintendo DS and after a week of wondering why it would only work when I was in the same room as the router and not in my room where it would say quot no access point in range quot I looked up some info about it Solved: Home Network Question and I THINK that the DS only has a foot range Im not sure I didnt know network adapters had THAT much of a weakness though my room is about metres in a straight line with about walls inbetween and other objects But anyway the question is is there a a way I can use my laptop in my room to kinda amplify the signal so that my DS can connect to the internet via the laptop I also have another Netgear modem router I ve tried plugging that into the laptop but for some reason as soon as I plug it in the internet won t work and it says that my current connection to the other router is local only any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Computer - Win SE Computer - Win Computer - WinXP Pro Linksys Switch w port switch Linksys Router w port switch Cable Modem Computer connected to Router Computer connected to Switch Switch uplinked to Router Router linked to Modem Hardware setup has been working fine Computer had WFW on it but took the drive out and am testing XP on Installed OS to a new drive and everything loaded fine In trying to find my way around I managed to locate the My Network Places option to see the other computers in my network was listed in the quot Local XPPro network question home Network XPPro home network question quot section and was listed in the quot Internet quot section don t remember the exact heading title If I clicked on the drive in the Local section it would show the folders as it should The computer in the Internet section would not open Did a right XPPro home network question click to see what quot Properties quot XPPro home network question info was on the C drive in the Internet section and ALL of the drives disappeared Re-ran the Network Setup Wizard and while the drives were listed I kept getting an error message that the path could not be found for all of the drives tried Re-ran the NSW again and it just got worse kept telling me that the user name computer name format was incorrect Gave up at that point Had bought an XP reference book MS Windows XP Inside Out -- MS Press so I got it out and started reading Followed the steps but no help Tonight I decided to try again Ran the NSW and now I can see the drive that was listed in the Local section previously and still is but the other drive is not listed The second drive does however show up if I click on the quot View Workgroup Computers option I can double click that drive and the partitions folders are viewable I can Ping the other - - computers from the XP machine as well as Ping the XP machine from the other computers Internet connections are OK on all computers What do I need to do to get computer to show in the Local Network section of My Network Places thanks ray nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xppro-home-network-question.266845/
Relevancy 55.9%

This is a really simple question. I would normally just buy what I think I need and try it all myself, but currently, finances are tight and I can't afford to be wrong. Plus the nearest PC store is an hour away and we have lots of snow, I only want to make one trip, lol.
What I have: typical Home Network setup

Cable modem
Old Linksys 5-port router with DHCP and NAT
Two XP PC's in a workgroup with printer and file sharing.
(also have a Wii wired in, but unimportant)

What I need to do is add a 3rd PC to the network, but I cannnot run cables. Given that I also have other devices that would utilize wireless (PSP, Wii), what are my wireless options?

Relevancy 55.9%

We just got a wireless network in my house... My parents computer is the "host" computer... We set up the router, I have the D-Link thing in my computer. It said that I have an "excellent" connection but it wouldnt let me online...

I would open Mozilla and I couldnt browse, and I couldnt connect to steam. Is this something with a firewall? a network key? we just cant figure it out!

If someone could help me out that would be awesome

Relevancy 55.9%

I have another computer set up in another room, heh..its had no trouble connecting to my secure network but earlier today it just won't connect..it shows (and has good connection) but when I click on it it won't connect and so I try n diagnose the problem but that just ends up giving 2 possibilities: try n connect again or look at other available networks...I don't know whats going on..desperate for help

A:Solved: Home network question heh

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Make and exact model and hardware version of any other network equipment, like a repeater, a booster, hi-gain antenna, etc.
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
For wireless laptops, have you made SURE the wireless switch is on?
For wired connection issues, have you booted in Safe Mode with Networking to see if that changes the symptoms?
Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-home-network-question-heh.872878/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a desktop PC and a laptop PC both running Windows XP. I have set up a home network with my desktop as MAIN and laptop as AUXILLARY. The network functions in many respects: for example, I can print from my laptop through my desktop to which the printer is connected. I can read certain files in my MAIN documents from my AUXILLARY. I have a tax program on MAIN. I have shared it with my AUXILLARY but when I access the program from AUXILLARY, it begins with a blank return rather than with the return I have already completed. I have tried to share the completed return but apparently I have not found a way of doing that. I tried to put what I thought was the completed file in the shared documents, but that did not work. The tax program is from TaxAct, by 2nd Story Software. I works well.

Any suggestions?

Relevancy 55.9%

I just finished setting up a home network using a microsoft wired router. I have two windows ME systems and an XP system currently on my network. Can anyone help me set up the webcams on the systems to be controlled by other computers. In other words, can I use the computer in the bedroom to snoop on my teenagers in the club room using the web cam on the club room computer? Would love to make this happen if possible.

A:home network and webcam question

Use a feature that comes with windows: Netmeeting. Just open a meeting before they go in, and if it has a mic, you can listen to them too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-and-webcam-question.134378/
Relevancy 55.9%

My home network consists of computers and an xbox all connected to a router Computers and run windows xp pro Computer runs win xp home With some litte experience I have been able to setup a workgroup x including those computers All computer names appear inside the workgroup folder Pc can see all the shared contents of the other computers including its self no password required etc Computer and xbox can browse through each other s files freely question WinXP home network no username password is required but can not browse computer files I either get a quot resource unavailable quot message when I click on pc icon or I get prompted for a username password Computer was WinXP home network question the only one that had password protected user account but I removed it through the user account utility in the control panel How can I give free pc access to all the other devices of my workgroup without having to give username password details on each logon nbsp

A:WinXP home network question

If you are not using Simple File Sharing on PC 1, the answer is simple:

In My Computer or any Windows Explorer window: Tools - Folder Options ... - View tab - at the bottom of the list put a check by 'Use simple file sharing (recommended).'

If you already have SFS, I reckon the answer will be considerably more difficult.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winxp-home-network-question.457276/
Relevancy 55.9%

I've got a simple home network set up. My desktop PC is hard cabled to the D-Link wireless router, which is obviously connected to the cable modem. My HP laptop is run via a wireless card.

I also have a wireless printer server.

Why won't the laptop connect to the Internet if my desktop PC is off? I would think that they would be separate links.

The same thing goes for not being able to print from the laptop if my desktop PC is off....?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Relevancy 55.04%

Hi
i use w7 on my desktop to connect to the net
i use a lot of emails and firefox
i connect to the net via lan & router
1 pc

in the w7 Change advantage sharring
i have
home/work
Public(current profile)
and they are both enabled

i did not understand the different between home/work and public

should i keep both enabled ?
or should i turn off one?

thanks
best regards

A:question about network Home/work or Public

I won't pretend to be an expert on the subject, since I only started using a LAN network recently myself, but since there is only 1 PC involved, and you say nothing about needing to connect to some other network via the internet, I don't understand why you need either? Perhaps if you explained more fully as to how you use a network it would help get a better answer.

EDIT: Rethinking the question and what I said, it dawned on me that the OS treats peripherals such as routers, modems and printers as part of a network. If your network is limited to these, all that you need is to setup a home network, not work or public.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/76966-question-about-network-home-work-public.html
Relevancy 55.04%

This is perhaps the easiest question ever for some of you. I have just set up a Linksys wireless router using the "wired" ethernet ports for sharing a dsl connection. What is my next step to view files and share files between the 2 computers. Do I go into "my documents" > right click > share > on both computers? Is that it. My main machine is Vista x64 and the other is XP. If i click on the computer I connected in widows explorer, it just gives me an error saying network path not found. I understand because I haven't set up a network, (have I?) I'm just sharing a connection. What is a good set of steps I need to take now. Thanks for any help.

A:Question on home network file share

Hi, Nate42nd

Have a look at this page here and if you have any specific problems post back and will try to help ...

Teach XP and Vista to play nice on networks

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/209971-question-home-network-file-share.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have four systems that I d like to be able to share information between Not using a quot server quot approach but a quot workgroup quot approach However there is a twist Specifically Using a four port router to permit internet access for three systems Using internet sharing on one PC to permit internet access for the fourth system don t have location of th PC wired with no plans to wire it or use wireless Now the problem Three of the systems can map easily to the Solved: Home question connectivity network shared folders of each other and the primary home system i e lt sysName gt lt sharedFolder gt The fourth system connected to nd eithernet card on third system and it using internet sharing cannot use the same method to access the primary system It must use the IP address to map to the folder i e lt ipAddr gt Solved: Home network connectivity question lt sharedFolder gt The IP address is not always consistant after powerdown restart so the fixed map of the fourth system must be reentered at times All firewalls are turned off for all systems Question How can I have the quot network quot workgroup recognize the Solved: Home network connectivity question fourth system although it is directly connected to the third system using an eithernet patch cable to permit sharing of information with that system Thank you for your help nbsp

A:Solved: Home network connectivity question

Solved: Went to another forum, and received suggested solution which appears to work. Both posted at same time, other responded.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-home-network-connectivity-question.531621/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi I m expanding my home network and would like to ensure the approach below will work before I sink money and effort into the project or worse my wife laughs at me Question Solved: Home Design Network I ve done quite a bit of searching on the internet and can t seem to find a detailed quot how-to quot that applies I suppose because of the sheer variety of configurations I have experience setting up a simple home network of four computers but nothing beyond that My current computer equipment is primarily in the basement and on the first floor It all connects in through a Linksys Cable DSL router with -port switch BEFSR ver which is housed in my basement Although it took a bit of tinkering to set up everything has been going smoothly for the last year or so All of the computers run Windows Vista or Windows XP One of the computers uses VPN to connect to work Now for Solved: Home Network Design Question the change Solved: Home Network Design Question We re currently converting our attic into a working rd floor which will have an office and kid s bedroom both of which need internet access The primary uses will be web and email with some light webcam applications There are a number of open walls now due to plumbing changes so I m thinking I should go ahead and set up a wired network I ve figured out where to physically run all of the wires and already know how to install Ethernet wall jacks My main questions have to do with how to best connect the router in the basement to the Ethernet jacks in the rd floor rooms Is it as simple as adding a four port switch on the rd floor and then connecting all of the rd floor equipment to the new switch Can I then just run one single Ethernet Cat e cable from the router in the basement to the new switch in the attic using any available port on the router I was looking at the Linksys EZXS W Etherfast -port workgroup switch Is this a logical choice Is there a better one Any other special considerations Basic as this is I really appreciate your help This is a great forum nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

We have a home network with 6 pc's with various OS's. I think somewhere in one of the Tutorials I read to use user "Everyone" to setup the Network. With the different OS's we are not using the HomeGroup setup thru Windows.

The system is up (and has been) running fine but reading another post I am concerened that this is not a safe/secure home network using "Everyone"

If "Everyone" is selected on a home network PC for home network uses/applciation...is "Everyone" also vulnerable to outside/Internet/neighborhood penetration and attack ?

Or does the "Everyone" user block any and all users except those on the home network...ie...anyone any outside the home attempts to enter my home system/network ?

Thanks...TRinAZ

A:6 PC home network permissions/security question

Quote: Originally Posted by trinaz

We have a home network with 6 pc's with various OS's. I think somewhere in one of the Tutorials I read to use user "Everyone" to setup the Network. With the different OS's we are not using the HomeGroup setup thru Windows.

The system is up (and has been) running fine but reading another post I am concerened that this is not a safe/secure home network using "Everyone"

If "Everyone" is selected on a home network PC for home network uses/applciation...is "Everyone" also vulnerable to outside/Internet/neighborhood penetration and attack ?

Or does the "Everyone" user block any and all users except those on the home network...ie...anyone any outside the home attempts to enter my home system/network ?

Thanks...TRinAZ

It only means that any machine that is part of your network will have access to those drives you set sharing and security permissions for "Everyone".

It does not mean that everyone outside your network will have access, although if someone were able to break into your network they would have full access to those drives. So from a security stand point it's not the safest way to share.

It would be a bit safer to either share the entire "User folder" if you need access to all of the "User" folders on the drive, or only share the folders you need access too from inside the network.

You would need to change the sharing and security permissions by removing "Everyone" on the actual drive before hand.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/224791-6-pc-home-network-permissions-security-question.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hey I am trying to re-configure my home network to allow for a secure and normal not to secure networks that will not be network (2 configuration sub networks) Home question aware of each other but will both connect through to the same router for Internet access Basically I want one network that will be used only for Online banking other important transactions and store important data and another which will be used for random web browsing web mail games etc that are more likely to get Spyware or Viruses The two networks will only have a few computers laptops on each network and obviously as this is for home I want to know if this is feasible without spending Home network configuration question (2 sub networks) huge amounts of money If anyone sees any problems with my thinking or has any advice please let me know Am I correct in thinking that all I need is routers Wireless ADSL Router connected to phone line that receives Internet The secure network router that connects to and several computers The standard network router that connects to and several computers and would each have a separate wireless SSID and workgroup and use DHCP within different ranges to allocate IP s to the various computers Is there anything specific that I would need to do to the routers configuration to get them to work would the ADSL router need DHCP as well Will I need to configure different subnet masks Any help regarding this is much appreciated Regards Nnahrino nbsp

A:Home network configuration question (2 sub networks)

That will work. The secondary routers need to have a different subnet from the primary router. It doesn't matter if the two secondary routers use the same subnet.

Not sure how you are using the word "secure." I would advise WPA-PSK (or WPA2) on both wireless networks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-configuration-question-2-sub-networks.729293/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello Everyone- I am new to this forum and brand new to wireless networking I was hoping some of you kind souls could help me with some security questions I have done all the usual stuff recommended in terms of securing my wireless home network I E Turned off broadcasting and changed the name of my SSID Enabled MAC Filtering changed the default password disabled remote access enabled WAP encryption WPA not offered through my service provider yet I also have anti virus anti spyware and firewall protection installed and enabled My questions are as follows In order for my wireless network to be hacked wirelessely I E someone uses netstumbler or similar program that Wireless Security Help Home Network Question-Please picks up unbroadcasted networks I know netstumbler doesn t do that so Home Network Wireless Security Question-Please Help well to pick up network crack encryption gather packets etc does the wardriver have to actually be able to pick up my wireless signal I live in a fairly isolated area and I do not think my signal would be to strong if picked up at all off my property I am going to go out with netstumbler on my laptop and my SSID on broadcast later and see if it picks it up off my property but assuming it does not can the wireless network still be hacked without being able to pick up that signal I know it can still be hacked in the traditional manner I E through e-mails phishing pharming etc but my concern is the wireless hacking I also use a wireless keyboard and mouse Does this increase my risk of hackers being able to pick up my keystrokes Is there any software that is specifically designed to secure wireless keyboards and mice Any additional security recommendations on how to lock down my network Obviously I am concerned about security so much so that I have been using my old dial up account over my new wireless connection until I can get some of these questions answered by knowledgable people Thanks in advance for your time and help nbsp

Relevancy 54.61%

OK so first Help home / server network with exchange question basic of all I m a noob to this stuff so please Help with basic exchange server / home network question bear with Help with basic exchange server / home network question me Here is what I m wondering I just opened an office for my new business This office will have an always-on cable internet connection We intend to have one central computer on which we do all of our production work herein referred to as quot The Office Computer quot We my business partner and myself will also be carrying laptops around with us all computers will be on Vista We would really like to be able to have an email server on The Office Computer that we can access on our laptops when we are away from the office Potentially we would also like to be able to get emails immediately from our SmartPhones or maybe Blackberrys Is there a reasonable way to do this Can a regular desktop be used as a server AND as a work station I ve read up a little bit on Microsoft Exchange Server and it seems like overkill I also see a lot of offers from various companies to host my exchange server but the monthly fees seem excessive I know there are ways that you can connect to a computer remotely but that isn t really what I m trying to do It s mostly about email and perhaps some file-sharing Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated If you can even point me in the direction of some good resource material I m not opposed to reading it and educating myself Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Help with basic exchange server / home network question

You probably don't want the security headache of hosting an e-mail server locally. You can go through g-mail and one of their hosting services and set up a domain and accomplish everything you are after without the security headaches.

If you want to setup and in house mail server you need and IDS system running on your network and be able to understand what it is telling you. If you have a mail server it will get hacked and you need to know when and what to do about it.

As for the file sharing install a VPN router to get remote access to your network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-basic-exchange-server-home-network-question.819585/
Relevancy 54.18%

Friends,

I did this task once before successfully but now I can't remember how .

I want to set up a simple home network with 2 PC's running XP home using a crossover cable. I just need to transfer some files.
I have made them part of the same work group, but the have different pc names.
I can't remember if I need to go through "MY Network Places" or "Network Connections".
I should have written this down.

Also, if I had this connection established before, why would it "disappear"?

Relevancy 53.32%

Was wondering If a Home-A & network question installing a Windows one XP about Solved: uninstalling router person has a desktop xp computer hooked up to a modem and router the router is not a wireless router and decides he wants to network a couple of computers here is my question I don t know what kind of a router my buddy has but it is a wired one and he has just a desktop windows xp hooked up I have networked computers before but from scratch so I am going to setup a linksys wireless router for him so he can use his desktop and his laptop for wireless I have set up a linksys wireless Solved: Windows XP Home-A network question about uninstalling a router & installing one system before and have no problem My question is --is there anything I have to do to uninstall the router he already has or just unplug it and Solved: Windows XP Home-A network question about uninstalling a router & installing one then run the linksys disk and do like I have done before to set the linksys system up or is there some uninstalling to do from the router he has on already Hope someone can answer me Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Windows XP Home-A network question about uninstalling a router & installing one

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-home-a-network-question-about-uninstalling-a-router-installing-one.671498/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi All Problem is the Vista Machine connecting to the shared HPG xi AIO on the network I am working on installing a Vista Home Premium Gateway PC on an existing network that consists of a Solved: Printer Vista Home Network Network Home Issues, XP machine two XP home PC s and an XP home laptop With the exception of the laptop all PC s are Solved: Vista Home Network Printer Issues, XP Home Network connected via ethernet cabling to a Linksys WRT G sharing cable internet access One of the XP home machines and the are connected to a Dlink switch which is wired to the Linksys router This XP home machine has the HP connected locally and shared All PC s have printer and file sharing enabled All PC s are in the same workgroup all PC s can see and share files bidirectionally Including the Vista machine All PC s with the exception of the Vista machine can connect and print to the HP When you try to connect the Vista to the HP and it doesn t matter how using Network and connect using Printers to add a printer using add a Printer to set up a new network printer and entering the path whatever the error message is quot Access is Denied quot before you can even install the drivers I used my IBM laptop running XP Pro to serve the HP via the USB connection same as how the XP Home PC is doing it the Vista can connect and print no problem so it would seem there is an issue with the access rights in the XP Home PC sharing the HP I also tested the Vista PC on another network that runs XP Pro and it connected and printed with NO issues I tried using the machine at the same location but connected to the same switch to serve the HP I get the same result as with the XP Home serving it with the exception of the error message It says cannot complete connection error some hex number Is there a way to configure the access right s to XP Home for the Vista to connect to the HP Or am I barking up the wrong tree Help please nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

Hello This is my Wireless-G Linksys connecting DSL/Wireless Edition XP Home adapter to & home not first post and PC or internet tech site too I want to THANK ALL OF YOU whom donate your valuable time I DO KNOW that time is money and i always appreciate others whom see the importance of reaching out in way of help as HELP is priceless and usually free to give I XP Home Edition & Linksys Wireless-G adapter not connecting to home DSL/Wireless hope that I m doing this right as in posting in the correct area Getting these issues worked out is very important I have read through some of your posts or threads though most that pertained to me were a bit quot technical quot I am considered old school new to Wireless stuff although I am usually a very fast learner and naturally a bit intelligent If we are talking animal medicine or animal quot issues quot in general I am one of those go-to people PC info The Gateway BOX says on bottom amp sticker bought from Sams Club like our CA- West Coast PriceClub or Costco The box states Windows XP HOME EDITION w only the PC specs but NO MANUFACTURING DATE I cannot even find a date on the PC itself The PC came in original box though w no paper work I bought this Gateway All-In-One system from a family member elderly for I believe it is AT LEAST yrs old and appears to be very full of quot stuff quot that i do not want Norton had expired I don t believe PC had been used by elderly mid to late s owner for yrs - After that i believe his sons the not to be trusted kind messed w the PC offline or maybe through dial up and w no virus spy protection I just got PC in my possession May I have not updated it s Norton as I am not eager about spending on something that is very slow or now does not work A few websites mainly vitamin buying dating-friend sites coupon sites had a warning from Windows of quot EXPIRED OR NO CERTIFICATE ON FILE quot As I was seeing this often I began to IGNORE the warnings and freely opened up probably sites w quot WARNINGS quot NOTE I ve been unemployed for years recovering now from a serious illness so the I have typically is used for required bills or the quot fur kids quot needs Thus attempting to figure this stuff out w o paying to quot diagnose quot this machine which BTW got me NO WHERE on my other two computers I also need to learn how to save his pics amp videos to a Sandisk memory stick another issue plus how to CLEAR OUT this PC which seems jam packed plus guided to a lower cost or free virus protection that is adequate Fast forward Suddenly Internet Explorer decieded to never connect again by using the Linksis Wirless-G adapter offers choice of working offline only At the bottom RT of PC there are PC icons and ALL have a big red X in front of them from LT to RT w one PC says quot Wirleless network connection NOT CONNECTED amp RT click for options quot w PC s says quot LOCAL AREA connection- A Network Cable IS UNPLUGGED quot amp w PC says quot Wireless network connection NOT CONNECTED quot There is also a square box logo on RT bottom of screen it has curved lines similar to iPhones WiFi bars Upon powering the PC this box lights up green when i put cursor on green box it says quot scanning quot and the Linksys adapter box s green quot power light quot turns on amp the green quot Link light quot blinks continually The green or grey square box icon box is apparently the Linksys adapter which is trying to connect w the homes DSL s Wireless signal When I RT click on box I can chose quot About quot or quot use Windows XP Wireless Configuration quot or quot Transmit Power quot or quot Open the Monitor quot or quot Turn Monitor Off quot When I click quot Transmit Power quot nothing happens When I click quot Open the Monitor quot a Linksys page opens w it s info tabs are Link Info Site Survey Profiles It shows a picture of the Linksys adapter box and the homes black DSL Wireless box and a Internet symbol The message it gives is quot Cannot Associate w the Access Point quot T... Read more

A:XP Home Edition & Linksys Wireless-G adapter not connecting to home DSL/Wireless

what do you have connected to the router (Siemens SpeedStream 5620 Wireless ADSL Gateway) that works , as we will probably need to see some test results

lets start with these two
. *I also need to learn how to save his pics & videos to a Sandisk memory stick (another issue), plus how to CLEAR OUT this PC which seems jam packed, plus guided to a lower cost or free virus protection that is adequate.Click to expand...

depending on the size of "all the stuff" you may want an external USB harddrive to copy all the files/pictures to - what do you have ?
can you got to the
my documents folder - which should also contain my pictures and right click on the folder my documents and select properties from the menu
that will give you the size of that folder

you don't need norton, there are many free versions just as good - I will list below
but first you need to remove Norton, as it may be the reason you cannot access the internet as its blocking - see removal tool below

next we would like to see an ipconfig /all and an xirrus screen shot- again see below

--------------------------------------------------------------

Norton Removal Tool
I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of norton and symantec from the PC
http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

All Versions - The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2010/2009/2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products, Norton 360 and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer.
http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

i'm not an expert here - but if you look through the security forum, you will see a lot of recommendations
Have a read in our "general security" forum and look for the advice from our security gurus, they are identified with a gold shield next to their name

Several excellent free antivirus programs are available.

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security_essentials/default.aspx

Avast
http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

AntiVir
http://majorgeeks.com/Avira_AntiVir_Personal_-_FREE_Antivirus_d955.html

Two other programs to also have on the PC

Malwarebytes
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
superantispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.
http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT applica... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-home-edition-linksys-wireless-g-adapter-not-connecting-to-home-dsl-wireless.1056076/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello there Here is a very good question on Home WiFi connectivity…" WiFi PC on is question very "Home Network Here good a Solved: and Networks and PC connectivity First quot SX s quot is a bogus connection name and used for example perposes Please read everything and think about it before replying OK Currently because I have an Extender on my PC s Home WiFi Network it creates SX s EXT and When I start my PC it automatically connects to SX s EXT Instead of SX s quot which is the main signal and the one I am always closes too Now I want to always connect to SX s the main signal First and Automatically when I start my PC instead of connecting to SX s EXT and then having to manually connect to quot SX s quot So is there a way to set this up Also If SX s EXT s signal is stronger than SX s Let s say I move to another room and into SX s EXT s signal range is the stronger one Can I also setup my PC s Home WiFi Network to then Automatically switch to SX s EXT s connection Automatically and then back to quot SX s quot s connection should I move back into it s range I look forward to responses Damian nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-here-is-a-very-good-question-on-home-wifi-network-and-pc-connectivity%C2%85.1115581/
Relevancy 48.59%

This is a pain in my booty!!! To make a loooong story more short than long:

I have a broadband moden (brighthouse) that is connected to the wireless router. 2 PCs are connected to the wireless router in spots one and four. Every single time they are all plugged into the right spots,...."There is no internet connection!" When I plug one PC back into the braodband modem..then it connects. UGH! Linksys wouldn't even help!

Both PCs run on XP SP2
Broadband router is a Linksys WRT54G.

My ultimate goal is to have these two computers network with each other and sharing the internet connection. Later, when this headache is gone...I'd like to ADD 2 laptops to the whole shibang! Who's willing to help?

A:Home Networking with Linksys Router

Every single time they are all plugged into the right spots,...."There is no internet connection!"Click to expand...

Can you give us some more information? When you have these 2 PC's plugged into the wireless router are you able to ping the IP of the router? Also can you do an ipconfig/all and get a 192.168.1.X number? If you can't do this while attached to the router I would hazard a guess its defective and maybe not be giving out DHCP to your PC's.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-networking-with-linksys-router.383459/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all, I have recently installed a Linksys Home Wireless -G USB Adaptor ,and for some reason my pc is now running really slow,i have a 2.07 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP Processor with 512 Megabytes Installed Memory and the os is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 ,has anyone got any ideas what could be causing the problem?

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello All:

I have a Linksys WET54G Ethernet adapter plugged into my Tivo....I want to try and use the WET54G on my computer as well as I think my Linksys Wireless USB might be going bad...

Is it possible to use a switch with the WET54G so I can hook it up to my tivo and my comp and have those both use the WET54G for the wireless connection to my router on the other side of the house?

I would like to keep everything Linksys...would it be a switch I am looking for or something else...and would this even work...I do not see why it wouldn't...

Would this work:
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/EU/en/products/PSUS4

Scott

Relevancy 47.73%

So about a month ago I got a linksys router WRT G so that I could use the internet on my new laptop The guy at best buy told me that I d need to do a wired connection to get my laptop working I went through the whole install process thats written in the linksys book and it all worked fine I started up my laptop and without a wired connection it already was asking for the WPA key I typed it in and the internet worked So that s all I did And that s how I ve used the internet since Now my problem is that I need to print documents more frequently and using a flash USB thing is getting very tiring because the desktop the Solved: actually network Linksys a not network?? routers connected to is a slug It takes me a good ten minutes to open a document and even more to get it to print We bought a wireless printer from office max for pretty cheap and very nice nicer than the PSC that we have now but it s not the first choice What I d like to do is get the old printer to work through a network I went through the control panel on the desktop to change the printer to quot Solved: Linksys network not actually a network?? shared quot and it started making me set up a wireless network which I ve already set Solved: Linksys network not actually a network?? up through linksys Or so I thought I ve tried to set up a new Solved: Linksys network not actually a network?? printer but the printers connected to the computer not to the router so it won t recognize a quot new device quot Which was a small lightbulb in my head just as I was typing this Do I connect the printer to the router rather than the computer Ugh I don t know I just want to print my papers And then as a second question For the new printer an hp c will i need the usb cable to connect it to my computer before i can print We didn t buy the cable and I m starting to have this sinking feeling I ll need one And if it s at all relevant the desk top computer with the router is running windows XP SP with gb of ram with a ish hd My laptop that I m trying to get to print is an acer aspire - with gbs of ram a gb hd and is running Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex version nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

I am using Remote Desktop Access to access my PC at work from my laptop at home which is behind a security enabled Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

Although I have enabled my PC at work to be remotely accessed and I have been successful in accessing it when I am on the WEP secured wireless network at work, I cannot access it when I am home.

I have seen several posts related to this but nothing seems to work. A step by step directions to get this solved would be great.

I am sure everything is in order in the work computer but there is probably some configuration with the Linksys router that is not allowing me to use Remote Desktop Access.

Relevancy 47.3%

I have a dumb question.

I have a router on this computer and a reciever on another computer.

Is there a way to set the router, so that the other computer cannot send files to this computer or anything else and still be able to access the internet.

If it's possible could you instruct me?

A sub question to the original, is it possible to upgrade the routers bios/firmware? and, if so how do I?

Relevancy 47.3%

I am using a Dell Laptop running Vista I have a Linksys befws ver router When i plug the modem to the router and then the router to the laptop i get quot limited connectivity quot on quot unindentified network quot i went to CMD then ipconfig and the results were Hi John i've read that you have helped numerous people with their linksys routers I was wondering if you could help me with mine I can't seem to get past this problem I have a linksys befw s ver When i plug the modem to the linksys router and then the linksys router to the laptop i get quot limited connectivity quot to quot unidentified network quot i run cmd then ipconfig this is what Question Linksys Router i see Code Windows IP Configuration Host Name Mike-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Linksys Router Question Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Linksys Router Question Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Dell Wireless Draft n WLAN Mini-Card Physical Address - D-D - -F - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom x Integrated Controller Physical Address - C- -AF- -D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe dc b b eeb Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Is there anything I can do to these settings to make it so this router works Thanks Mike

Relevancy 47.3%

How can i reset the username and password i set on my router? I'm talking about the username and password on 192.128.1.1

A:Linksys Router question

Factory reset of the router. With power on, hold the reset button for 15 seconds.

Note that you will then have to reconfigure everything in the router, since that resets it to factory defaults.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-router-question.797578/
Relevancy 47.3%

OK I m sure this might have been asked but i ll try to make it quick I have a Linksys WRT G ver and occasionally it drops connection common but it s not getting any signal from my cable modem So no computer in the house wired or wireless can get an internet connection The cable modem is fine as if I plug a PC directly to the cable modem I can get on the internet so It has to be something Linksys WRT54G question with the Router This is my nd Linksys router I would try a different router but I recently setup a WAP G to bridge a wired network I have in a different location of my home and i am Linksys WRT54G question unsure if i go with a different brand router that my WAP G will function with say a D-Link or Netgear Router I tried updating the Firmware but no such luck with this It happens like once a week or so Any suggestions Thanks in Advance nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

Hello everyone I recently bought a Linksys wireless router so that I can finally get wifi in my home Configuration Question. Linksys The computer I m on now is going to quot host quot the router I use verizon dsl and a dsl modem I correctly plugged Linksys Configuration Question. the Linksys in all of it s intended ports but Windows Vista doesn t pick it up I quot googled quot around a good bit for the solution I basically found out that the CD with the Linksys is useless and I have to allow my modem to connect itself and the linksys at the same time manually configuring To do this apparently I have to get my gateway address which would be and type that into my web browser being firefox The Westell site comes up with my connection info - I quot log in quot with quot admin quot quot admin quot as the user and Linksys Configuration Question. pass Now I have the administration to change my modem and connection settings WHAT SHOULD I DO FROM HERE Thank you all very much FenderGuy nbsp

A:Linksys Configuration Question.

That would be unusual that your LinkSys disk is useless, because most will get you started in VISTA as well as WXP.
There are updates at the LinkSys site for each operating system. You will benefit from going to the LinkSys Support site, while knowing your model number and version number, then download and print the Quick Install Guide, the long User Guide in PDF format, and the latest drivers... which may be about 36 MB or more.
Then follow the instructions in the quick install or user guide after you install the latest driver... you are on the right track... you may want to talk to tech support of your high speed connection to see what they require, codes wise... as they vary from location to location.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linksys-configuration-question.95987/
Relevancy 47.3%

i was looking under the network map/ list and notice its showing my printers. i dont have them hooked up for wireless. and was wondering if this is normal? and if i can turn them off in the router? with out loosing the use of the printers?

A:Linksys WRT110 question

are you sharing them on your computer? if so, i believe the router is just showing everything on the network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-wrt110-question.915585/
Relevancy 47.3%

I just bought the wrt54gs and I am reading that it can make a 128-bit wpa2 securit code. Does that mean that is the highest you can make or it can only make that? because my other equipment supports only up to wpa not wpa2, i dont want to opent this yet if that is the case.

A:linksys wrt54gs question

please help..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-wrt54gs-question.521623/
Relevancy 47.3%

Situation- month old Dell XPS Win bit Pro as main computer connected by Wired Adapter Upgraded Gateway E also running Win bit pro as says set network no join home can't but network 7 Win homegroup, Home second connected by Wireless Both running Kapersky successfully no network problems for mo Both were successfully linked using homegroup Had to take Gateway to a remote location to do a business demo While there had to link to a local public WiFi While connecting made mistake and left homegroup When Gateway returned to homebase a Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network few days later it was fine had no problems finding wireless but could not see or rejoin Dell machine homegroup It would let me set Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network up a new homegroup Went to Dell box and found homegroup no longer existed router and network and wireless printing no longer found - Red X on the taskbar even though internet was still working fine Took nearly a week of trying differernt fixes on adapter- off adapter- different adapter reboot network router even updated router firmware Yes I went through every ipconfig reset renew redecorate etc I've used netsh functions to try Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network to get evrything to reset Changes services msc settings per other posts Finally in desperation deleted every sub key in the registry related to network locational awareness and got the Dell to find the network let me set it up as a quot home quot network and then even see the invitation to join the Gateway's homegroup Then I hit a wall- when I try to join- Win says I can't join the homegroup because the network is not a quot home network quot Of course troubleshooting is useless and goes into an endless loop Have searched in desperation for any way to make Win return to a clean slate so it can sense that it really is on a home network without success Applied the fix-it and hotpatch for when Win gets stuck in public mode No joy Deleted the hide wizard subkey as suggested elsewhere No Joy Gut feeling says problem must lie in the NLA or peer networking somewhere but where Does anyone know of a method or set of steps short of a clean reinstall of Win to completely clear every thing the OS knows about my network and force it to acknowlege my network is a home network Is there a registry hack that will clear the problem I know I could abandon the homegroup and do conventional file print share but I am concerned that using that solution won't last as whatever is screwing up the homegroup could eventually screw regular sharing and then I'm back to reformating reinstalling I'm just about ready to join the Apple folks so I never have to work on Windows again Help

A:Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network

Just a thought - if running Kaspersky Internet Security (with inbuilt firewall) check that your Internet connection in the settings is set to Home or Private Network vs Public.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/257334-home-network-set-but-win-7-says-cant-join-homegroup-no-home-network.html
Relevancy 47.3%

For the past couple days I've = (XP-Home XP-Pro) PrintServer scvhost.exe Sharing! Complicated - & + error LINKSYS been having problems with setting up a proper network for multiple couputers to share a printer wirelessly with my wireless print server WPS G silver not the blue black one and sharing local hard drive resources between computers on the router I'd like to transfer movies and other things to the laptop somehow I hear it's a difference in file sharing problem DESKTOP --------- Windows XP Home Linksys PCI wireless adapter quot SpeedBooster quot LAPTOP --------- Windows XP Pro Intel R PRO scvhost.exe error - LINKSYS PrintServer + (XP-Home & XP-Pro) = Complicated Sharing! Wireless ABG Up until now I have been able to share theinternet on both computers at the same time For IP address setup I would like to use static IPs so it's ensured all devices will be connected properly to the network under this configuration Base Router WRT G Starting IP Number for connecting devices Local Laptop IP Print Server IP Local Desktop IP Security WEP -character key Shared Key Channel Mac Filtering Disabled No Access-only or Ban lists are enabled I am able to successfully access the router on both the desktop and laptop but can only access the print server by means of the laptop So the current problems scvhost.exe error - LINKSYS PrintServer + (XP-Home & XP-Pro) = Complicated Sharing! are Both computers can't make a local directory to share fles between each other on the HOMNET workgroup and they can't ping each other I can easily disable Simple File Sharing on the laptop but not on the XPhome desktop It seems that option isn't there How can I resolve this Second even though the current printer drivers for the Lexmark P the desktop can't contact the print server even though the laptop can with the exact same configuration I was asked by a friend to setup a custom printer port on both It is an IP port Works wonderfully on the laptop though I can give you any extra information needed I'd really like to setup a network where both computers can access all resources the same but it seems like the differences in the operating systems is making printer sharing via the printserver and sharing hard drive resources locally is making things harder than needed Whatever extra information you need I can get for you I know how t access most information on the computers and the router and print server laptop only right now Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Yulina

A:scvhost.exe error - LINKSYS PrintServer + (XP-Home & XP-Pro) = Complicated Sharing!

Start with the basics. Failure to ping is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Disable ALL firewalls as a test and see if you make some progress.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/scvhost-exe-error-linksys-printserver-xp-home-and-xp-pro-complicated-sharing-136837.html
Relevancy 46.87%

So I finally replace my DI- piece of junk with the WRT GL and it has been fantastic No more disconnects through the day Anyway I have a question about QoS I ran a speed test and got my up down numbers and plugged them into QoS kbits s down kbits s up Those are of the lowest figures I got running the speed test Last night I decided to try and max out my upload and play a game to see how QoS handles the traffic I setup dst port as high priority and torrents at lowest with question Linksys and WRT54GL Tomato QoS priority I took off the cap of kB s upload QoS question with Linksys WRT54GL and Tomato in uTorrent and let it go as fast as it can and then fired up team fortress At first my ping was ms I then lowered the upload speed of kbits s in QoS to something like and got my ping down to ms No matter how much more I lowered the upload speed my ping would not go below ms Then I put the cap back on uTorrent and my ping went down to ms what I usually ping on the server uTorrent was pretty much the only program uploading so QoS question with Linksys WRT54GL and Tomato I had plenty of free upload speed when the ping went down to ms My question is is the ping being twice as slow a result of the extra processing necessary to prioritize traffic when it is maxing out the value you plug into QoS Thx Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new nbsp

A:QoS question with Linksys WRT54GL and Tomato

From the TSG Rules, which you should have read when you joined.

P2P Instructions - The purpose of P2P is to illegally trade copyrighted material. We do not support the use of P2P networks and any threads requesting help for them will be closed. This includes Kazaa, Bearshare, WinMX, and the like. If you're interested in the topic, you are free to discuss it on our site (and please visit www.StealingIsIllegal.com), but information on how to use them will not be provided.Click to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/qos-question-with-linksys-wrt54gl-and-tomato.663094/
Relevancy 46.87%

i have a linksys wireless router. can some one tell what these 2 extra network things are?

A:Linksys wireless router question

It appears you have network connected disks, but that's just a guess based on no information.

Did you go into the router's status screens and check what devices are connected to the router? What wired and wireless devices do you have in your network? Do you have the router's wireless channel encrypted with at least WPA encryption?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-wireless-router-question.839039/
Relevancy 46.87%

I have a Linksys Modem BEFCMU and a Linksys Router WRT g work together to provide a direct internet Linksys WRT54G Solved: question access Solved: Linksys WRT54G question to my desktop and wireless access to - laptops in our home Up until this morning they were working beautifully As far as I know nothing has changed Solved: Linksys WRT54G question and yet the router is today not serving the wireless laptop Solved: Linksys WRT54G question connection I have tried resetting the modem and router and restarting the computer without success I have tried accessing the address Linksys provides for the router but the request times out What is the chance that the router has simply stopped working even though all the lights are on What other things should I be looking at I have read several other threads and seen the request for information obtained from CMD window Perhaps this is not necessary in my case but I have included it anyway Any thoughts or things to try would be welcome Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Jane gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name MOORE Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List om cox net Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix om cox net Description Broadcom x Integrated Cont roller Physical Address - F- F- - C- Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Saturday April PM Lease Expires Sunday April PM C Documents and Settings Jane gt ping Pinging with bytes of data Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms C Documents and Settings Jane gt ping yahoo com Pinging yahoo com with bytes of data Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms C Documents and Settings Jane gt nbsp

Relevancy 46.87%

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a BEFVP41 router at work and home. I have successfully set up a VPN between them, and several other tunnels between corporate clients. What I'm interested in is being able to establish a VPN connection when I am at a location that is not currently connected (for example, a client's home). Is there any software that will allow me to make a tunnel to the VPN Router? I know I can use IPSec policies in Windows, but that is a hassle changing the policy every time the WAN IP changes. I don't need the other computers on the client's network to access the VPN, just my laptop.

Thanks,
Chris

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-linksys-befvp41-vpn-router.686067/
Relevancy 46.87%

Is it possible to have 2 linksys routers on 1 Ethernet line?

A:Solved: A question about linksys rouuters???

Well, not directly, but if you told us what you're trying to accomplish, we might be able to help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-a-question-about-linksys-rouuters.852271/
Relevancy 46.87%

my linksys wifi router has 4 LAN ports, so does the wifi router function as LAN hub or LAN switch?????????

A:question about Linksys wifi router

It functions as Switch

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/192958-question-about-linksys-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello

I have just installed a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I have secured it with WPA2 with AES encryption. I am running Windows XP with IE7 and the latest NORTON with firewall activated. Also Windows is managing the connection.

My question is:

After a few minutes of logging onto my network I get a info bubble on the bottom of my screen that says "connected to nework (unsecured)"

Why would it tell me that it is unsecured? And why does it take 5 to 10 minutes to tell me that?

Hope you can help.

Relevancy 46.87%

Alright my old router died due to a power outage yesterday and i purchased a new one today I set it all up and the internet works on the main computer and my laptop The laptop asked for my WPA-Personal key but my other computer about a year and a about Linksys a Router new Question Wireless-G half old will not connect it sais it could be out of range it s not though When i went to set up the connection in advanced properties it only gives the options Disabled and WEP for the WEP WPA key My laptop gives WPA-PSK the one i m using aswell as all the other choices When I tried putting the key as a normal WEP key it obviously wouldn t work saying it had to be or ASCII characters etc Do I have to make a regular WEP key for my Question about a new Linksys Wireless-G Router internet to connect or can I update something on my computer to get it to recognize Question about a new Linksys Wireless-G Router the WPA-Personal key Thank you and sorry for the difficult to understand issue Ross Lepera nbsp

A:Question about a new Linksys Wireless-G Router

The network adapter in your other computer only supports WEP. Unfortunately, this can only be remedied by buying a new wireless card, as the encryption is not software upgradeable.

You'll need to set up your router and your laptop to do WEP, or buy a new wireless card for the other computer so you can do WPA. Wireless networks cannot do WEP and WPA at the same time on the same network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-a-new-linksys-wireless-g-router.77377/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello,

I recently installed a Linksys E2500 wireless router & need to ask a question concerning the 2.4 Ghz scale & the 5.0 Ghz. When looking at my connections via Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, I notice that my SSID appears twice...once showing a 2462 frequency & the other showing a 5745-5765 frequency.

Can anyone tell me if this is abnormal? I am adding an attachment, so that you can see of which I speak.

Thanks for any assistance.

Mike

A:SSID question Linksys E2500

This is normal, contrary to the color of your post. You realize that it won't let it stand out from other posts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ssid-question-linksys-e2500.1091379/
Relevancy 46.87%

Which one would you start out with to make it the easiest? Would you use the linksys router setup disk on the XP computer or the Vista computer.? I have Used a linksys router before and setup XP TO xp on a router but not Vista.
Could someone describe for me step by step what is the easist way to set up the Linksys router on an XP to Vista or Vista to Xp computer to network them. I have not done to muich on a Vista computer but know my way around pretty good on XP I would appreciate someones help in how to do it and which one to start with the xp or the vista computer. Thanks

A:Solved: Windows XP Home & Vista--Networking with Linksys Router--Have some questions

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-home-vista-networking-with-linksys-router-have-some-questions.647782/
Relevancy 46.44%

Cleaning out some old carry cases and found this.
Linksys Compact USB 2.0 10/100 Network Adapter Model USB200M
It's about the size of a large thumb drive.
It's free to a good home if anyone wants it. All I need is a SASE (6 X9 inch) envelope to mail it and its manual.
If no response in a week or so, I'll trash it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-usb-network-adapter.1016315/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey there guys,

Just been securing my new wireless network using the Linksys step by step guide...but i appear to have locked myself out!

I turned on the "WPA2 Personel" setting. I chose a password, and left the encription timer as its default setting. This secured the network, but when trying to reconnect, an error message appears.

The error message states that i need the "network key" which should be 10-41bit or 10-126bit...

When i tried to google for a solution, i found that maybe i need to set the passphrase of the router to the network card in the laptop...???

Is this what i need to do?

If not, can you tell me what i am missing please?

Thanks, spudly.

A:Locked Out of Linksys Network!!!!

Reset the router back to factory default settings and start over.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/locked-out-of-linksys-network.651807/
Relevancy 46.44%

I just recently bought a new Linksys Wireless-N Hom office router along with a Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter The router is working fine because i have computers already connected to it the problem that i need help with is that with the PCI Adapter Evertime Network Trouble Linksys I begin transfering the drivers over from the disc install wizard it gets to almost complete and then a full system crash takes place Immediateltly followed by a restart I cant figure out what the problem is and ive spent alot of time on this I have downloaded and installed the drivers from the linksys site directly with a baby step forward my computer now recognizes the new hardware and the appropriate drivers are installed When the adapter goes to start up it fails I checked the device status in device manager and i get the error This device cannot start Code there is also a yellow icon with an exclamation point in it by the Wireless-N PCI Adapter network section the model number for the Router WRT N the model number for the adapter WMP N any help or advice would be greatly Linksys Network Trouble appreciated Thanks -Troubled one nbsp

A:Linksys Network Trouble

Please do not post duplicate threads for the same issue, continue here: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/598355-wireless-n-networking-problem.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-network-trouble.598349/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello everyone, I just got a 2nd computer to use in my home for my son to share my internet connection and the files on the main computer. My question is what do I need to network the 2nd computer to the main computer. I already have 1 cable modem and the linksys wireless-g broadbound router with speedbooster, I need to know what to do next do I just buy a ethernet cable and run it to my computer? connecting 1 computer into 1 and the other into 2 or do I have to do much more then that? please help if you can ...

Thanks,

Chris

A:Need to network 2 compters with linksys

Hi and welcome. Ethernet cable from your computer to the router, unless you have wireless on the new computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-network-2-compters-with-linksys.498898/
Relevancy 46.44%

this may be a shot in the wind, but does anyone know if its possible to get a new network key when there is already one set to the router.?

i had one setup for my laptop, and when i needed to put my desktop wireless i lost the darn network key and cant connect to the router (linksys wireless G)

A:Reset Linksys WEP network key

have you tried resetting the router?

only problem with this is it will completely wipe ur connection, and u'll be forced to set everything up again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/29163/reset-linksys-wep-network-key/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello,
I have a Linksys WRT54G2 V1 wireless router. Lately it has been failing without reason. When it fails I will lose wifi and other devices can't connect on the LAN. Also when it fails I can't access it through the web browser either. I have connected am using a static IP from my ISP and have my PC xbox and Sprint Airvana.
It seems like when it fails the only thing connected is the airvana(which is also assigned a static IP and placed in the DMZ), the airvana works all the time. It sounds like a router issue its I'm worried the Airvana is the cause. Can this happen?
Also I have tried to just disconnect the airvana when the issues is present but the network is still down. The only way to bring it back is to power cycle the router.

A:Network crashing while using Linksys

Apologies for the delay.
You may find this link Helpful:-

Linksys by Cisco - WRT54G2 Support

Hope it is of some use.
Thank you.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/290138-network-crashing-while-using-linksys.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have tried everything I can think of but since I switched to Pro I can not get file or print shareing to work between the computers. I get the following error in the attachment when I try to connect to the other computer.

any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-xp-pro-on-linksys-wireless-network.348435/
Relevancy 46.44%

Dear Tech Guy,

Once again, thank you for all the tremendous help you have been.

We are interested in installing a Linksys Wireless G WRT54GS V.2 broadband router on a Dell laptop that we use with a local home network on another Linksys router, the Wireless G SRX 400, connected to a Comcast cable modem. Our concern is if we install the remote Dell laptop to be the main computer for the Linksys Wireless G, we may have connectivity issues with the router on our main network.

Please advise the best approach to using the Linksys router to network with laptops not using the cable modem in an independent (sub) network. The intention is to be able to take the laptop to other locations and use it to collaborate with other computers.

Will we need to switch back and forth on the Dell network?

Your contribution toward a solution and a way forward is greatly appreciated.

A:Secondary Linksys Network

heres a good blog: http://blog.kevindonahue.com/archiv..._router_to_a_regular_ethernet_linksys_router/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/secondary-linksys-network.530488/
Relevancy 46.44%

Usually, it's 2 green lights. But this time I see an orange light on 'Link.' 'TX/RX' remains green, while blinking. What does the orange mean?

EDIT: typo

Relevancy 46.44%

In our house we have a Linksys router. It is unsecured...

In the area there are 3 houses with a network also, they are all secured. How do I secure my network? Brand is Linksys.

is this video correct on showing you how to secure it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhNAsnqnHWc

A:How to Secure network. Linksys.

Good question, I hope that this provides you with a good answer
Linksys | Learning Center

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/288336-how-secure-network-linksys.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a Linksys wireless G card it comes with this network monitor and it has a HUGE memory leak eats up ALL ur memory in close to an hour tops I ve been going back and forth with Howard on another thread and this may get merged into it but I need to know how must monitor Network Linksys die to disable it for good as of now I am using the windows network manager and it works great but the Linksys one is not technically a program u can just close it shows up no matter what u do I tried rolling back the Linksys Network monitor must die driver and windows disagrees with me Okay it s called WMP Gv exe and it s eventually killing me only thing to do is reboot and try again Linksys Network monitor must die The net works fine it s the memory leak that is killing me takes my CPU up to If anyone knows how to make the network card work w o the network monitor I am open to suggestions or if I can roll back to driver or version from to it s beem said it doesnt leak on Plz help a dude out I am always in need TechSpot u save my life nbsp

A:Linksys Network monitor must die

Hi

Go into device manager and see what drivers are listed in the cards properties, now get a pen and paper, and write them down.

Now uninstall the card and its drivers, then hunt for the files you wrote down earlier, delete them off the system, there will also be an INF file find that in c:\windows\inf and delete it.

Now when you reinstall it, dont run the setup disk, just insert the card and point it to the driver section on the disk.

One working card without all the crap that goes with it.

This used to work for me, it may not work for you, but its worth a try.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linksys-network-monitor-must-die.67370/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

I thought I would post this, it may have been posted before? But oh well ...

I am using Vista X64 and have been having a night,are with linksys wireless card drivers. After much searching, I read about using the Ralink driver in its place, which did not work...But I found some legit drivers eventually and wanted to share them with you to stop you having to search for days like I did. Here they are anyway....

WUSB54G v4 (added support for the WUSB54GP v4 to this 1)
WUSB54GC-Vista
WUSB54GC-XP
WUSB54GS-v1&2
WUSB54GSC
WMP54G v4
WMP54G v4.1 (this has 2 folders in it. 1 for XP and 1 for Vista)
WMP54GS

IF the links do not work you can get to the forum here:

64 bit drivers for Linksys adapters - Wireless Adapters - Linksys Community Forums

Many thanks and I hope this helps.

Cheers

Al.

A:Linksys Network Drivers

Your links go to savefile.com Which is BS site with no drivers Thanks for wasting my time

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/132912-linksys-network-drivers.html
Relevancy 46.44%

i have two desktops and a to one use routers linksys network two on trying laptop wired through a router and a linksys wireless router wrt g wired in also all works good even the wireless on my laptop so i can use my trying to use two linksys routers on one network laptop wireless or wired either one now my brother gave me his linksys router wrt g that he had set up at his house i want to use his as a area extender i want to put it down the road where i have a cabin and exted my network to there so basically i want to use two linksys routers on one network to extend my area when i hook up the second router the wireless link light comes on so i hard wire my laptop to the second router and it sais i dont have permission to use shared folders and no internet does anyone know how to make this fly i am choking on this project can this be done thanks so much for the help in advance jeremie nbsp

A:trying to use two linksys routers on one network

First, you should take a look at the amazing "search" feature. If you have any questions after reading the (half a dozen at least) "I want to daisy-chain two routers" threads, feel free to ask them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-use-two-linksys-routers-on-one-network.78708/
Relevancy 46.44%

Can I connect to linksys wireless g network with a Dell true mobile 1300 WLAN mini pci card? It says it's picking up signal, and connected but wont acquire a network address. I have entered the network key & it seems to have accepted it.
Thanks for any help you can give me! Lisa

Relevancy 46.44%

Have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows Xp Home Edition I want to create a network for them so they can share internet access currently only the desktop has access I rather rashly bought a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router without checking it would work with existing hardware Sure enough my modem wont work with it as it does not have a ethernet socket to plug it into the router However while I get round to buying a new modem I want to still set up a local network so the two PCs can share files etc I ran the quot set up home or small office network quot option on my desktop which seemed to set up everything ok I did the same on the laptop however it does not work It does not pick up the network at all According to the linksys status page it is picking up the router though On my desktop I go to my network places and it just randomly brings up the desktop and or the Setting linksys up network with laptop each time I reboot However when the laptop link does appear I can still never access it Does anyone have any suggestions Setting up network with linksys The above probably seems a little vague not sure what else I can add if ya need anymore info just ask nbsp

A:Setting up network with linksys

I suggest you put the router on the shelf until you get the proper Ethernet interfaced broadband modem. Take a look at this ICS Tutorial to setup ICS and get the two computers sharing the Internet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-network-with-linksys.388606/
Relevancy 46.44%

I m attempting to daisy-chain two Two Using Network One Linksys on Routers Linksys routers I m aware the easiest way would be to just buy a switch and use that in place of a second router However I do not own a switch and am attempting to use this Using Two Linksys Routers on One Network as a quick Using Two Linksys Routers on One Network fix until I find a more permanent solution The primary router is a wireless Linksys router with four ports all Using Two Linksys Routers on One Network being used One port runs to my room which is then connected into the Uplink of my non-wireless Linksys router This routes to two devices I believe I need to change the second router s IP to be outside of the DHCP range of the primary router and make it a static IP but I cannot get to the IP for the second router in order to change the settings I believe they are both the same default Linksys IP and I don t want to start making changes without knowing I m making them to the second router Ideas Help I m more of a programmer and less of a network specialist so this is out of my field a bit Thanks in advance Steven T Norris nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

i have a new computer w/ sp1. it is not online. Id like to be able to get it online now and then to update some software, so i got a little USB wireless access point to use. the problem is that when i try to setup the access point, the CD won't run. After going through hoops w/ linksys, they told me to contact my vendor to "clean my resgistry". well im prety good at computers, and my vendor just sold me a barebones system, so i am wondering what i have to do to my registry to allow it to use the access point?

i got windows to even acknowledge the USB acess point, but it wont say its a linksys, it won't connect to the net, and it wont let me load the setup program on the disc..it just sits there and ignore my double click. any ideas?

A:question on cleaning registry and linksys adapter

I am assuming this is Windows XP Home??? or Pro? Are you the Admin on this computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-on-cleaning-registry-and-linksys-adapter.354470/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi everybody my best friend wanted me to format an old Dell laptop for her grandchildren to play some simple games I was amazed the formatting went question 100 linksys card etherfast pc Solved: 10 so well as someone had put XP on it which made it run as slow as molasses in January I managed to find a windows boot disk that still Solved: linksys etherfast 10 100 pc card question worked and I got windows SE on it It came with a linksys etherfast card that I understand is for networking I checked pictures of it on the internet to see if something had broken off of it but they look flat on the end like this one does Is some kind of adapter needed to use this thing with an rj cable cause I see nothing one could plug anything at all into It is flat on the end I don t think it is a wireless card but then maybe I am more of an idiot than I think It looks exactly like the picture on this page http reviews cnet com adapters-nics linksys-etherfast- - - - html manDesc The review says just plug in your cabling and go Plug it into what HELLLLLLLPPPPPPP LOL please nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

I picked up the above router today sealed in the factory packaging including the factory shrink wrap. It works as well as my version 4 Linksys BEFSR41 router. It has an Uplink Port as well as the 4 lan ports and the WAN port on it that my Ver 4 does not have. 1st ? is what is the Uplink Port for?

Next ? the Firmware on it is dated 2001, linksys has a firmware update of 8/30/2004 I downloaded the update and tried to run the update from the router but it times out and doesn't update the router. Is there something that I am missing? There doesnt seem to be any instructions about how to do it other than download the file, run the update from the router and point it to the file I downloaded.

I only paid $5 for this router so no big deal just trying to learn something.

A:Solved: Linksys BEFSR41 Ver 2 Router Question.

If you want to use a router as an ethernet switch you have to connect to one of the LAN ports and use a cross-over cable unless a port is auto-sensing. But with an Uplink port you connect to that and use a regular (patch) cable (and don't "waste" a LAN port).

Double check that the firmware you downloaded is for Ver 2. Other than that I have no idea why your attempts to upgrade are not working.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-linksys-befsr41-ver-2-router-question.822996/
Relevancy 46.44%

Quick question:

Actual installation looks pretty easy... but one probably silly question:

Will Tomato retain all current settings on my router, or will I have to set it up again from scratch? If from scratch, is there an easier way to ensuring I get all my custom configurations, then from going screen to screen and writing it down? I do periodically back up the config - will Tomato recognize that file?

Anything else I should know? This will be a new adventure for me...

A:Installing Tomato on Linksys WRT54GL question

is there an easier way to ensuring I get all my custom configurations, then from going screen to screen and writing it down?Click to expand...

Go screen to screen and save screen shots.

I doubt that the new firmware will recognize the old configuration file, but you may as well try.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-tomato-on-linksys-wrt54gl-question.1037569/
Relevancy 46.44%

For those of you who didn't read my previous thread before I had it closed, I have 3 computers with Windows XP SP2 which are connected to an Ericsson PipeRider cable modem via a Linksys RT41-BU wired 4-port router.

The router tends to disconnect one or more times a day, which requires me to power off and reset the router. The firmware(1.01.0) is the most current version available.

The download speed is averaging 5,000 - 5,500 Kbps instead of its advertised 10,000 Kbps, regardless of whether I run all 3 computers through the router or if I connect each computer directly to the cable modem and bypass the router.

My ISP(BrightHouse Networks Roadrunner) says the signal to my cable modem is good and that I should be getting the advertised download speed of 10,000 Kbps.

Any comments from anyone?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relevancy 46.44%

Question on setting up a linksys e1200 router?

My questions is how to setup without using a Ethernet cable. It suppose to be wifi. I basically want it for my wireless printer. That what I want to set up. I got this at a sale, so it doesn't mater if it works or not.

A:Question on setting up a linksys e1200 router?

With the router plugged in and turned on, do you see an SSID for the router listed in a wifi capable machine? If so, according to the info at this link: Linksys Official Support - Linksys Site USA, the default IP address for the router is 192.168.1.1. The default username and password is “admin”. If you can't connect to the router's login page using that IP address then someone may have changed the default IP address. In that case, or if you don't see a SSID being broadcasted, you'll need to press and hold the Reset button located at the bottom panel for about five (5) seconds then release in order to reset the router to the factory default settings.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398279-question-setting-up-linksys-e1200-router.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I just reformatted by hard drive to clean my computer from too many crappy programs embedded in my system and now i cannot get the internet to work. It says "network cable unplugged". It was working absolutely fine before I reformatted and therefore I do not believe it is a cable or an external connection but haven't tried a new cable. I downloaded the driver lne100tx512 but that did not help. I do not know what to try at this point?? Can anyone help?

A:Linksys LNE 100 TX network cable unplugged

You mentioned the first thing you do have to try in such a case is a different CAT5E cable and look for any possible damage, loose connection and you want to hear a nice clean smooth little click when you connect, at both ends by the way, not just at the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-lne-100-tx-network-cable-unplugged.757045/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey everyone sorry to bother you all with a question but this is my last resort My problem is a Network Key that has been set up on all computers in the house Our connection used to be open to anyone in the area not on purpose and was just recently changed Now a key is required to gain access However FFXI has now blocked me out for lack of better words The thing I noticed is my Linksys Gaming Adapter is Linksys Adapter/Network Gaming Key unlit on the right box meaning it is unable to find a connection I m clueless how to work the Gaming Adapter since it usually finds the channel with the connection thought none of the channels connect Is there anyway I can fix it for FFXI If not would anyone know how to disable the Network Key and allow it to be open again Thanks Linksys Gaming Adapter/Network Key for Linksys Gaming Adapter/Network Key checking out this post it is greatly appreciated I can give pretty much any other additional info you require Thanks Again nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

Last week I installed a new linksys WRT54GS system. It worked perfectly for 5 days and then started dropping out every 3 hours or so. I then disconnected the cable moderm and the Linksys for a few minutes and then reconnected them. About 5 minutes later the signal comes up and everything is fine again. About 3 hours later the same problem appears again. I have checked the cable moderm and there is no problem connecting directly to it. The Linksys is located about 10 feet fron my computer and the all signal bars are green when the signal is showing. Any suggestions as to what I should try would be most appreciated.

Thank you

A:My new wireless Linksys network keeps dropping out

Update the Linksys to the most current software.

"drop out" means what? What exactly fails? Is it the internet connection, the router crashing or perhaps your own computer losing it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-new-wireless-linksys-network-keeps-dropping-out.42589/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello!

I've been trying to bridge an access point to an other.

From a netgear router to a linksys one.
As in Netgear "main adaptor" linksys the bridge.

Any tips? I can easily Roam then but that doesn't help because I want to be able to connect the two.

For example: So there will be like 2 routers i will be going through.

My computer>Linksys>Netgear>Main network(Internet, files, etc...)

Any tips?

Relevancy 46.01%

I have purchased a Linksys WDT11 wireless PCI card with slot and WPC11 PCMCIA wireless card for a remote computer. Since I am running XP, I downloaded and installed the drivers from Linksys' website. The drivers load ok, but I keep getting an error message: "Code 10, unable to start".

I enquired of Linksys tech support over a week ago, and have had no response. I know that this will work, but have no idea how to correct. Running XP Home on Gateway 450 PIII w/256 ram.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Jim <>-<

A:linksys wireless network card

Uninstall the drivers!!! I tried the XP drivers, and they did the same thing. IF it hang on uninstall/rollback, manually delete ntcwd10.inf (or something very similar) from the windows/inf directory.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-wireless-network-card.69093/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi , wanted to setup a wireless network using a WAP54G , but i don't know what to do , i've bought an LAN card , a WAP54G , but my pc do not detect any ""New wireless device"" when plug the RJ45 in to the LAN Card .
How should i set it up ( from the begining plz ) ?
(set in Ip's from the device .... to the card ... and how to search for networks since i have not a wireless connection detected in my pc .... ! )
the other device that i want to detect has also WAP54G , but we do not how to setit up , someone told me that it should be as a bridge but i don't know what that mean
Thanks in advance .

PS : Conclusion => we are 2 PC with WAP54G and a lan card .
Thanks in advance

A:LinkSys WAP54G , How to set up a wireless network ?

What do you expect the WAP to connect to? Tell us exactly what you intend to accomplish, and what equipment you currently have.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-wap54g-how-to-set-up-a-wireless-network.460660/