Windows Support Forum

Win 7/ie/& ssd performance

Q: Win 7/ie/& ssd performance

This is my problem's
1. With windows 7 installed, IE 9 will make my PDF's open in the same tab, therefore makeing adobe to ask if this is "ok". But whin I uninstall ie 8 in the cotrol panel and install ie 9 from a "Download" site ie; "microsoft" this does not happen, why?
2. I have researched for over two(2) week's or more to find the best "Performance" trick's, maintenance changes to "Disk" as well as Software and still my ssd hard drive does not performe as well as my "7200rpm" regular hhd, shown in performanance "5.9" over all "5.5"

So are there any tacker's, I have tryed just about every thing out there! The SSD should perform at lest on the "low"side at "7.1" but so far it has not..

Please I need some advise!!!!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Win 7/ie/& ssd performance

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Win 7/ie/& ssd performance

A bit obvious but did you set the BIOS to AHCI? Also as far as I am concerned IE9 is a clinker. I just returned to the speed and smooth performance of IE8. Ahhhh!

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/177450-win-7-ie-ssd-performance.html
Relevancy 25.37%

Intel is gearing up to release their next-generation Skylake processors as early as next week, but before they've been able to release any official information, a set of benchmarks detailing the flagship Skylake CPU's performance have leaked onto the web.

Read more

A:Intel 'Skylake' Core i7-6700K performance reportedly revealed

No surprises here. Keep Calm and Carry On... Strong dollar and no sensible impovements in IPC, that's gonna be even tougher year for PC manufacturers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-performance-reportedly-revealed.217458/
Relevancy 26.23%

What I have is a Dell Dimension Series desktop PC that originally ran WinXP but I ve taken the best parts Rig, performance best Win2k wanting for it that I had on hand slapped them inside and loaded Win k Reason Old games of course What I want to know is What kind of badass hardware can I put in here that is compatible with Win k I have searched a bit online about what kind of graphics might work but the only piece of info I ve found so far is what the nVidia drivers for Win k supported I believe it was up to GeForce series But what s the Win2k Rig, wanting best performance best card that Win k supports Also what kind of CPU can I upgrade this to Here s the current hardware specs Pentium GHz MHz bus and KB cache on PGA socket nVidia GeForce GT AGP GB DDR x GB x MB I know I can go up to GB total SATA- GB HDD Not much but how much space does one really need for old games DVD-ROM CD-RW drive IDE CD-RW drive second optical drive because why not I don t want to know an easier way to get top performance for older games I m pretty Win2k Rig, wanting best performance sure there is one so please don t call me out on taking a pointless project I want to know what Windows can actually do on legit hardware Thank you nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win2k-rig-wanting-best-performance.217305/
Relevancy 24.94%

Intel has launched a selection of new 5th-generation Core processors based on the company's Broadwell microarchitecture. Five of these new CPUs are designed for performance mobile and IoT devices, while two are socketed desktop CPUs for Intel's LGA 1150 platform,...

Read more

A:Intel launches new Broadwell CPUs for performance mobile, socketed desktop

The full list of socketed desktop and performance mobile Broadwell CPUs can be found below.Click to expand...

the two pictures link to only R series (socketed/1364, BGA/soldered to motherboard) and mobile/IOT processors. C series (unlocked, socketed/1150) are not shown in the two pictures but are listed in the article.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-launches-new-broadwell-cpus-for-performance-mobile-socketed-desktop.213613/
Relevancy 24.94%

Integrated graphics solutions won't get you far when it comes to gaming, but they've evolved to the point that you can actually get decent frame rates in relatively modern games with the right graphics settings. Looking to remove some of...

Read more

A:Intel launches website to help gamers on integrated graphics get a boost in gaming performance

So they're teaching you how to move all the sliders to the left? ^___^

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-launches-website-to-help-gamers-on-integrated-graphics-get-a-boost-in-gaming-performance.214204/
Relevancy 25.8%

The Samsung 840 EVO has been one of the most troubled solid state drives since its mid 2013 launch. Last year, users discovered that the drive suffers from performance degredation in the long run, with read speeds dropping off dramatically...

Read more

A:Samsung addresses slow 840 EVO SSD performance with another patch

I have bought several 840 drives myself, and our newest machines at work have 120GB 840 Evos. After installing Magician 4.6, I was presented with the option to upgrade to the EXT0DB6Q firmware. I then disabled rapid mode, and ran the benchmark testing(with rapid mode enabled, you're basically measuring your RAM). I saw about a 200 MB/s increase compared to my lowest score for Sequential Write, and more modest gains elsewhere. Note that with Magician 4.6, Standard performance optimization is not supported on Windows 8 or higher. However, a new "advanced" option is available, that performs a complete rewrite, refreshing data and alleviating access delays. It took about 10 minutes to complete on my system with about 60 GB used. I'll be doing more testing, and anxiously awaiting a Mac compatible ISO, as Magician is not available for OS X.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samsung-addresses-slow-840-evo-ssd-performance-with-another-patch.212470/
Relevancy 25.37%

When I first made my custom pc strictly made for gaming I was able to run such games like arma 3 in ultra with 60+ fps (which is fricken amazing)
But now can only get it just above 30 on standard. I think this is because of my computer having many programs which maybe just stopping cpu/gpu usage when I play games. or the programs may even be viruses slowing the performance. so I really want to completely wipe my pc hoping that I can get my pc close to what is was when I brought it. nothing is externally broke when I looked at the things in my pc. so what I am trying to get at is what do I have to do to get my pc back to what is was? what program do I need to use? what do I have to do? please reply asap as I would like to be able to have it cleaned up before new year. your help will always mean a lot

A:Need to get my pc to its original state. performance greatly decreased. Want to completely wipe pc

That does mean that you will loose all data and files that you haven't backed up elsewhere.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-get-my-pc-to-its-original-state-performance-greatly-decreased-want-to-completely-wipe-pc.207681/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello So long story short I have had networking issues across the board on my home built desktop for over a year and a half now Basically my Odd Performance -- Fluctuating Issues Wi-Fi internet success fluctuates throughout the day and some programs Especially Origin absolutely fail to reach a fraction of my internet speed Doing speed tests on Odd Wi-Fi Issues -- Fluctuating Performance devices throughout my home network I am receiving a mean download speed of down While my desktop can barely manage to reach down My network adapter works fine I m typing this from my desktop as we speak and I have replaced it a few times I have been looking into this for months so ANY help would be perfect to hear and I can look up any troubleshooting information that could help I ve tried Odd Wi-Fi Issues -- Fluctuating Performance the old common misconception that a faulty DNS server is to blame didn t work as my current ISP Time Warner s DNS server is the best connectivity for my area I ve updated all drivers many times gone through windows settings and tried to tweak with tons of settings and adjust network consumption settings in gpedit So I m wondering what the deal is Like I said it can t be my router or ISP because my other devices work fine and work x as fine I ve tried disabling my firewall as well nothing Could my PC think my network is public and not private and be blocking a lot of traffic Do I need to allow ports for servers to be able to connect with my home network Could there possibly be a setting somewhere in Windows that is doing this to me That is not allowing my internet to go through I would really appreciate help guys I ve looked all over the internet and found lots of other people with the same issues but no one knows what the solution could be Thanks Again for ANY suggestions you can provide nbsp

A:Odd Wi-Fi Issues -- Fluctuating Performance

What are you using for WiFi Router. Are you using rental equipment from TW? Are you using all-in-one device to manage, CATV, Digital Phone, WiFi, Cable/Router/Modem. Do you have anything like that. If so has the ISP sent a hit or firmware patch to this device.

PC with the issue how the desktop connected? Via Ethernet Cable or WiFi.

So you pay for 22 mbps down but seeing only 2 mbps down on your desktop . Have you replaced the anything lately? Have you upgraded that Windows 8 PC to Windows 8.1?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/odd-wi-fi-issues-fluctuating-performance.207517/
Relevancy 26.66%

Can you change the processor from amd fx 6100 to amd fx 8350 black edition I bought it like this a couple weeks ago and the 6100 seems laggy doing heavy games and misc task should I try that or try over clocking it ?
the graphics does just fine to me between 40fps to 70fps maxx.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

HERE ARE THE SPECS
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-6100
Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ECS A960M-MV (CPU 1)
Graphics
STD HDMI TV ([email protected])
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (PNY)
Storage
465GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 ATA Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

A:Performance problem

DethReavr said:

I bought it like this a couple weeks ago and the 6100 seems laggy doing heavy games

Graphics
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (PNY)Click to expand...

There is no wonder your gaming is laggy with a GT 610. GT 610 is not a gaming card. For gaming get yourself a 650 or better. I personally have a GTX 660. With a better graphics adapter you should be fine with the FX-6100. Make sure your power supply will support a better graphics adapter as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/performance-problem.204639/
Relevancy 26.66%

I finally got a new gaming PC on January 2013. It's an Acer Predator G3620 (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i7 Processor 3770, Nvidia GeForce GT640 3GB, 16GB DDR3 Memory, 2TB Hard Drive, DVD-Super Multi-Drive, Wireless LAN, Multi-in-1 Media Card Reader) When I first got it, it was amazing. My settings were on Ultra and the FPS was 60. I couldn't ask for more. But it's been a year, my FPS dropped to 20-30fps on medium settings. I tried reading all these topics on how to increase fps but it did not work. So I was thinking on upgrading my computer, but the problems is, I don't know what to upgrade. So can you please tell me what to upgrade or what to do to get better performance on my computer? (Oh, and the games I play are DayZ, ArmA, Battlefield, Call Of Duty, Need For Speed, Minecraft, KSP, Assassin Creed, F1, Medal Of Honor, DCS, Flight Sim, X-Planes, War Thunder, World of Planes/Tank, etc...)

BTW, I'm a noob at computers..

A:What to upgrade for better performance

I can't help you with your problem, but to get the correct help you need fast, it would help if you made your titles pertaining to your question. Rather than just "helpp", for future reference.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-to-upgrade-for-better-performance.201274/
Relevancy 26.23%

Guys many people say I cant because the G41 has only a pci express slot 2. If its correct please tell me a vga to buy..

A:Can i get the full performance of a Gddr5 vga from a G41 motherboard?

Could you please specify what Make and exact model the motherboard is? G41 does not help much. Is it Intel, Gigabyte, MSI, etc... More information is needed before we can help you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-get-the-full-performance-of-a-gddr5-vga-from-a-g41-motherboard.201712/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi, I ran several benchmarks and recorded the results. The computer was an i7 3770 on an Asus P8H77-V with 16gb 1600mhz ram and a GTX 770.

After upgrading my entire computer (more specifically just building a whole new one and giving the old one away) except my vidoe card, which I added to my new system. The new CPU is a 4770K, the new mobo is an MSI Z78-GD65 Gaming, I have different RAM but the speed and timings are the same.

Anyway, I get lower results in benchmarks now Why could that be?

A:After upgrading performance is worse

The 3770 and the 4770K will provide similar performance. Now, If I read this correctly, the GPU is the same? If so, then you really didn't do much of an upgrade. More so, you just moved to a newer generation with a unlocked processor (K).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/after-upgrading-performance-is-worse.199651/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello all I made a post regarding the performance failing of one of my supply power affect hard performance? drive/computer Faulty hard drives The conclusion we came to has unfortunately not resolved my problem and I am beginning to think my Power Supply may be the culprit Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Before I go into details here is my current Hardware Q GHZ GIGABYTE EP -DS R GB PC mhz x gb x gb Nvidia GTX mb requires x pin power adapters Asus Xonar soundcard requires floppy power adapters Windows x Jeantech W PSU modular PSU PCI-E nodes and nodes for other devices gb HDD operating system tb HDD data tb HDD data tb HDD data - added recently ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ My original problem in brief Upon accessing certain files in one of my TB drives I hear a distictive quot click lockup halt quot sound and then the entire system crashes first the drive will become inaccessible then windows explorer will crash followed by the mouse and eventually a BSOD after a minute ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I bought a new TB a month ago to replace what then I thought was a failing TB drive Since the problems have become quot random quot and happen across all four drives tb tb gb tb I am now considering my PSU the culprit Jeantech Absolute w It seems logical to me Sometimes while performing tasks which put stress on several HDD s at the same time my computer is quot choking quot running as fast smooth as it should but with sudden freezes with those HDD quot click - stop - restart quot sounds Booting into windows is failing from time to time freezes on the quot starting windows quot screen or DISK BOOT FAILURE Insert system disk The PSU is modular - could certain quot plugs quot in my PSU are faulty I haven t tested this extensively but in some cases when the computer is not starting up at all using different power ribbon cable combinations seems to help Also I had to remove my DVD drive completely when I first installed the new TB I bought and I don t think my computer will start at all with it plugged in anymore so my PSU MUST be having a hard time coping with all the components If it is of any relevance I use an Nvidia GTX which requires x PCI-E pin power connections hard drives power is supplied via THREE modular ribbon power cables - two HDD s share power from the same ribbon cable lastly worth noting I use an asus Xonar sound card requires floppy power connector several symptoms suggest the PSU any thoughts nbsp

A:Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance?

a 1000Watt shouldn't have any problem coping with the components that you have, i would recommend that u borrow a power supply from a friend and try it out on your computer, maybe the power supply is old and is not supplying proper voltages on all the rails....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/faulty-power-supply-affect-hard-drive-computer-performance.160966/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello,

it's kinda weird but last few months my pc was getting slower and slower, and when I decided today to format my pc it wasn't needed anymore, cause I started my pc on, typed pass and right after I typed the pass it goes directly to my desktop, programs starts directly all the same. It's like my pc is fast again...but the question is why???

Regards

A:Performance Question

I am not really sure what the cause of this is, but it happens to me every once and awhile.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/performance-question.194990/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello.

I'm wondering how a CPU bottleneck affects the GPU's performance. Lets say I run a game at 100% total CPU usage and 80% GPU. Would a better GPU affect the fps at all?

Thanks for the input.

A:How does a CPU bottleneck affect GPU performance?

You might gain a little in minimum frame rate depending on the screen resolution/video memory usage, but little else if the CPU is theoretically maxed out with a lower performing GPU.
The 100% CPU usage would only be in certain gaming situations. Not all gaming requires intensive CPU involvement, since the rendering of most games takes place within the GPU <---> VRAM subsystem. In a scenario where the CPU is maxed out, you're dealing with either poor game coding - which induces stalling (bottlenecks) between CPU <--> RAM <--> I/O (harddrive), and/or the CPU is being tasked with a more intensive workload -example CPU physics, post processing, information needing constant updating and amending such as large game maps, game AI and dynamic objects.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-does-a-cpu-bottleneck-affect-gpu-performance.185741/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi I am having some issues with my PC and would really appreciate any insight First off my setup CPU AMD Phenom II X rd core unlocked with Crossfire Problems 5770 ATI HD Performance CPU-Z says it runs at Ghz under full Problems with ATI 5770 HD Crossfire Performance load Memory Gb DDR Video Two Sapphire Radeon Problems with ATI 5770 HD Crossfire Performance HD GB -bit GDDR cards in Crossfire the nd card was added maybe a months or so after getting the first one this goes to my receiver and Problems with ATI 5770 HD Crossfire Performance my TV running at x Mobo ASUS M A TD EVO AM with PCI-e slots x x HD My main one where my Steam files are is a WD Caviar Black TB rpm OS Windows Catalyst Control Center CCC v hardware info shows both the primary and linked adapter primary running at PCI-e at x the linked card running at x I just updated from CCC or and I have had Crossfire enabled every since installing the second card With CCC and every previous version of CCC I ve had about of the time when I booted up from shutdown I d have to go back into CCC and re-enable Crossfire for some reason it would be disabled on restart more often than not I ve only had for a day now and I have not yet shut down my PC My main issue is basically I have never really noticed any difference from running in Crossfire vs running one card when gaming Crysis BF Portal others I think I am fooling myself into seeing a difference but sometimes I would start up my system start gaming and it seemed normal then remember that I didn t check if Crossfire had been disabled so I would recheck and see it was disabled and so I would renable it and then go back to gaming and not really notice a difference Does that make sense And sometimes it would even seem worse So I bought Hitman Absolution on Steam not pirated and noticed that it had benchmarking which I ve never done These are my in-game settings Resolution x Fullscreen checked Refresh Rate VSync checked MSAA x Exclusive Fullscreen checked Aspect Auto Quality Custom Shadow Medium Texture Quality Normal Texture Filter Anisotropic x Reflections Medium FXAA checked Global Illumination unchecked Tessellation unchecked Level f Detail Medium Depth of Field Medium SSAO Normal Bloom Normal With my previous version of CCC my FPS averaged around but I didn t write the exact numbers down I went to the AMD website and saw a new CCC version and the new CAP with Hitman Absolution I uninstalled all previous CAPs and ran the installer to remove my previous version of CCC Then I rebooted made sure display drivers were all uninstalled and installed I ran benchmarks with Crossfire on and off then installed the new CAP and ran benchmarks with Crossfire on and off each three times quot A quot quot B quot and quot C quot Here s my avg FPS Crossfire Enabled no CAP A fps B fps C fps Crossfire Disabled no CAP fps fps fps Crossfire Disabled CAP installed fps fps fps Crossfire Enabled CAP installed fps fps fps So it almost looks like my best settings were with Crossfire disabled and no CAP So Why I mean if I enable Crossfire and I do what AMD suggests and use the latest CCC version with the lates CAP I get - fps I am not too technically inclined so I was thinking I either have a faulty nd card although CCC says it s linked or my x PCI-e slot is slowing everything down or I really don t know If you have any ideas suggestions please let me know nbsp

A:Problems with ATI 5770 HD Crossfire Performance

Try clean installing the drivers.
1) Uninstall the current drivers with this tool: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx
2) Then reinstall the 13.4 driver after you have uninstalled previous versions with the tool above.

I never go it, what exactly is CAP? Also, isnt it bundled with the drivers now?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-with-ati-5770-hd-crossfire-performance.192336/
Relevancy 26.23%

Guys,Out of curiosity can u tell me How much % performance difference between 2X4GB 1333 and 1600mhz?Would its performance noticeable with this type of rig
PRO:i5 3470
GPU:7850 2gb and also in 7770
Monitor 18.5 led
as I m a normal gamer.will I notice it in my gaming time?will % increase if ram size gets big such as 32GB or 16GB?
Sorry for BAD ENGLISH

A:How much % performance difference between 8GB 1333 and 1600MHz RAM?

You will see no difference when gaming or doing general computing tasks.

as I m a normal gamer.will I notice it in my gaming time?will % increase if ram size gets big such as 32GB or 16GB?Click to expand...

Will have to elaborate a bit on what you mean. I don't particularly understand what you saying here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-much-performance-difference-between-8gb-1333-and-1600mhz-ram.190980/
Relevancy 25.8%

Morning guys,

I recently set up my system with dual monitors.
I'm quite a keen gamer so what I've been doing is playing games on one screen and then streaming video (youtube, iplayer, tvcatchup, etc...) on the other one. I have noticed a slight decrease in FPS while playing games.
Now I know that the graphics card now has extra to do than it used to.

So my question is what part of the card is having the issue, is it the GPU or is it the VRAM or even both?

I currently have a HD6870 1gb, I was looking to upgrade shortly anyway so I was thinking if it is the VRAM I will make sure I get one that has more than 1GB,

Cheers

A:Reason for performance decrease since dual monitoring

Hocknose said:

So my question is what part of the card is having the issue, is it the GPU or is it the VRAM or even both?Click to expand...

Both. Although you're still only gaming on one screen so the slowdown shouldn't be too severe (watching videos isn't that GPU intensive). There's many programs out there which lets you check your GPU activity and VRAM usage in programs, personally I use MSI Afterburner.

If you're looking to upgrade then pretty much all current generation mid range cards have 2GB of VRAM or more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reason-for-performance-decrease-since-dual-monitoring.189981/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello I for a very long time performance laptop with new my on CS1.6 Problem with have this problem with low performance on CS with Problem with performance on CS1.6 with my new laptop my new laptop So I bought an Asus K SC that comes with a Intel HD graphics and a Nvidia GeForce MX Win Ultimate b The problem is I can t play CS in fullscreen I have this black bars on the sides only have different resolutions to choose and I think the GT MX is not quot launching quot when I open CS because I can t get good performance I have like fps max and some textures degradation Every game else that I have Warframe D LoL BLR is working perfectly fine just CS that is not working correctly My screen resolution is x at Hz i Problem with performance on CS1.6 with my new laptop - M CPU GHz GB Ram DX I would really apreciate some help because CS is my alltime favorite game and the first game I bought and I would like Problem with performance on CS1.6 with my new laptop to play it to its fullest Thanks nbsp

A:Problem with performance on CS1.6 with my new laptop

You need to choose 16:9 as the aspect ratio. This will show up with more resolution choices.

If you have vertical sync turned on, you'll be limited to 60fps too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-performance-on-cs1-6-with-my-new-laptop.189973/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey, I have ASUS K53U
6gb RAM
2gb VideoRam AMD Radeon HD6320
AMD E-450 Processor ~1.6 (2 CPUs)
and no AV

My problem is that my computer is so slow :S. I'm running w7 about 4 days, before I had w8, but I thought that w8 is problem what takes much cpu. But w7 is same slow, I can't even play NBA 2k13 normal fps, what should I do? I close all unnessessary apps in task manager but it still hanging. Please help.

And I'm using old windows theme, my search is disabled etc.

A:Poor Windows and gaming performance on Asus K53U

That's not a gaming laptop, by any stretch of the definition.

If you want to play games, here are some options:
- Turn down all graphics settings on games to minimum, and use 800 x 600 resolution. Pray that works.
- Go back to the store you got it from and see if you can return it as store credit to buy a more expensive machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/poor-windows-and-gaming-performance-on-asus-k53u.189102/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello Everyone,
Okay I'm on Facebook and well I like to play Farmville,CityVille however when I play these games it sticks and lags when I move around...I know it's not my Broadband as I'm getting 7.5mb
What factors would it come down to?
My CPU is stuck at 100% when I play these online games?
Any ideas please. Thank you!

MY COMPUTER SPECS:

ME PLAYING FARMVILLE AND MY CPU IS AT 100%!

A:Poor performance in online games

Upgrade ur processor dude go for the higher version of the processor the amd semptron is for normal browsing the browser needs good processor to run

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/poor-performance-in-online-games.186152/
Relevancy 26.23%

Weird problem that I can't seem to find any info on despite being resourceful with Google.

For awhile now, my PC wants to be plugged in. It will work on battery for browsing or light app work, but if I'm doing something CPU intensive it lets me know right away that just being on battery will not do, and performance breaks down to the point that sometimes it crashes my prog.

I've looked at my performance settings, and as far as I can tell I don't have anything selected that sacrifices power to save battery life. Any help is appreciated.

Also, it's an HP dv7 laptop, a 2010 model (4183cl, I think). i5 processor, 8gb ram... etc etc

A:Performance suffers when not plugged in... weird?

Tbh mate I play league of legends on my brothers laptop and I see the same difference I belive its because the laptop is drawing more power then it was actually using I see the difference of 35-42 fps flucuating to a constant 60 fps because of v-sync when it is plugged in so I doubt it is rly any rly problem from your laptop just the power that it uses

To continue with that its the same thing as happens when u have a weak psu in a computer .The pc wont draw its full potential or wont work at all

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/performance-suffers-when-not-plugged-in-weird.185116/
Relevancy 25.8%

So I have intel core i5 2320 3Ghz processor and when I dont do anything with computer just surfing on net I got about 40C-45C temperature. I cheack temperature with Speccy program. However when I playing game like gta 4 I got form 70-75 temperature and one time I got 80 but its was just for one time. So and I have fews questions, its normal, its safe ? And when I playing game like crysis gta 4 I got fps drop in some places, but I hear that is normal when fps drop in some places on gta and crysis, fps drop is not so big. On other game no fps drop like postal and mafia II. But maybe it can have influence for performance I dont know so that why I ask you.

A:It's this temperature normal for processor and games performance?

Slowing down depends on what's happening on-screen, e.g. the FPS during an explosion or a lot of smoke/dust would be lower than normal. But at high temps, thermal throttle would kick in, slowing things down.
Anyhow, to the thread's main question:
The "normal" temps depends on ambient temps, really. 30C, while hot for Antarctica, is a miracle for Sahara. Knowing your ambient temps and system configuration/placement would help.
But if you are uncomfortable with those temps (should be, IMHO), refer to the Cooling Guides in my signature for help.

Regards,
Marnomancer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/its-this-temperature-normal-for-processor-and-games-performance.183139/
Relevancy 26.23%

1. I'm not a gaming junkie by any means. I play a lot of old stuff. But I also occasionally play World of Warcraft type games and I usually have to lower the resolution for it to run smoothly and it looks awful.

2. I don't want to have to spend more than a 100 dollars

3. I'm not seeing the power supply on my hp touchsmart. The most info I could find on the web for my comp is that its 200w (100v-240v)

4. - motherboard - Manufacturer - PENTAGON CORPORATION
- Model - JESSE
-Graphic Interface - ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphcs
- Code Name RS780M
- Technology 55nm
- Memory size 256 mbytes Memory bus width 32 bits
- Memory type DDR3
- size 4096 mbytes
-CPU AMD Athlon II X2 235
-CPU SPEED 798 MHz

5. Im from The U.S.
Thanks in advance for the help

A:Improve gaming performance for $100 or less

First off I am not sure what your question is. Perhaps you accidentally left it out. If you are looking to upgrade your computer to play games at a higher resolution or higher frame rate then I see a problem. I believe the Touchpad is built pretty muck like a laptop, meaning most parts are *not* swappable and if they are the cost and trouble would be more than what it would be worth. Generally the two most easily replaceable parts on a laptop would be the RAM or harddrive and neither one of those is really going to give any performance gain.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/improve-gaming-performance-for-100-or-less.182881/
Relevancy 21.5%

hey , i nid help wat shuld i do to increase fps in game(League Of Legends)my highest fps is only 21fps ...
- Operating System : Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit
- Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
- Memory : 1024MB RAM
-Graphic Card :intel(R) Express Chipset Family
pls reply , ty ..

A:Suggestions to increase my PC's performance (increase fps)

First thing I would suggest is a new system, anything with a P4 in it needs to be upgraded to a new platform.
Second thing I would suggest is a dedicated graphics card, if you are using the machine for gaming.

System Requirements

Minimum System Requirements

2 GHz processor
1 GB RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users will want 2 GB of RAM or more)
2 GB available hard disk space
Shader version 2.0 capable video card
Support for DirectX v9.0c or better
Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (Mac OS and Linux are currently not supported)
Recommended System Requirements

3 GHz processor
2 GB of RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users will want 4 GB of RAM or more)
6 GB available hard disk space
GeForce 8800 or equivalent video card (Dedicated GPU with 512MB+ Video Memory(VRAM))
Support for DirectX v9.0c or better.
Windows XP with the latest service pack installed, Windows Vista with the latest service pack installed, or Windows 7 (Mac OS and Linux are currently not supported)
The latest update to .NET Framework from Microsoft

Why are you using Windows 7 Enterprise?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggestions-to-increase-my-pcs-performance-increase-fps.180115/
Relevancy 26.23%

I just recently notice that the performance on my Toshiba laptop is decreasing.
The other say I decided to play minecraft and noticed it was lagging more than usual. When I tried to play on my friends server I could barely move. I've also noticed the fps drops in games like Cod4 and CSS. I've cleaned out my registry, cleared out some hard drive space, and ran gamebooster but nothing seems to work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Toshiba P755 S5320
Intel Core i3 2.20ghz
Intel HD 3000 graphics
6gb ram
640gb hdd

PS: I tried MC multiplayer on my sister's HP and it ran with no lag issues.

A:Windows 7 Toshiba performance issue

What antivirus/antimalware programs are you running?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-toshiba-performance-issue.180632/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello. Built my PC about three weeks ago - MSI GTX 680, i5-2500k, 8GB RAM @ 1600 MHz. I ran Battlefield 3 with no performance issues at all. However, today I've been bothered with rather (seemingly) low FPS. I've checked my ping, it goes from 13 to 17. In more intense scenes (multiplayer), I can already see the lag.

Basically, my 680 performs as if it's a 480. I haven't made any changes to my computer. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, but that didn't solve anything. I doubt it's a heat issue since the game was alright even yesterday, and I didn't remove any fans. I also don't think dust would have filled up my computer overnight.

What do you think is the problem? Could something happen to my card and should I get a replacement? Could it be a CPU issue instead? Thanks for your answers in advance.

A:GTX 680 Battlefield 3 performance issues

The cause of your lowered frame rates could be many things, I'd take a look at the memory first with Memtest86+ and make sure nothing is amiss, and then I'd look at the hard drive with the manufacturers disk check utility. Now if both of those items checked out, I'd start searching for malware with Malwarebytes and your antivirus program.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gtx-680-battlefield-3-performance-issues.180557/
Relevancy 26.23%

So people I am going to show you some of my Computer specs

Ram-1gig soon to be 2 and degrading to Xp for better performance
Give me Tips on what i would need to get my computer to run Leauge of legends Hd
If anyone can do some research about any good Agp gfx cards it would be greatfull i know they are now out of most markets and pci-e are in but i cant spend alot of money so ty.

Cpu yes is HyperThreading alrdy

Requesting help about a new agp gfx card for some new games Not High end games Just games like Leauge of legends/Wow ect both these games already run perfectly at 25-30 fps but id like to get the lag off in polulated areas if anyone could help ty.

A:Help my computer gameplay performance

Game Booster is your saviour. :haha:
Here's the link: www.majorgeeks.com/Iobit_Game_Booster_d5952.html
Happy Gaming

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-my-computer-gameplay-performance.179780/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey, I am at the stage we all go through many times in our lives. Trying to decide what computer to get while your computer you have is slowly dying. I'm looking for hints on what computer might be the best for my needs as a gamer.

The main specifications i would like:

Atleaste 8gb Ram
64bit CPU
Good graphics card
Good processor
Pre-installed with Windows 7 (Home Premium is fine)
Pretty much able to handle HD games without me setting all the graphics setting and performance settings to "Ultra Low" - "Ultra High" would be nice!
Something that doesn't overheats itself while using these settings (Don't want to keep checking the heat meters anxiously )
Room for upgrades, easily accessible inside.

Not every detail is needed really but that would be a dream computer. Thank-you for your help.

A:Trying to choose a gaming desktop -- high performance, no overheating

If you have the cash, and no DIY confidence, go for an Alienware.
If you like DIY (like me), read up reviews of hardware which you want, go to the hardware market, buy the 'dream hardware', go home, and assemble.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-choose-a-gaming-desktop-high-performance-no-overheating.179701/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hey guys I ordered myself a Kingston HyperX GB SSD last night and so I decided to take my Intel Series GB SSD out of my main PC P and install it in my other PC P I got a disk score of with the Windows quot Windows Experience Index quot benchmark I know it s not the best benchmark ever but it s something Now with the same SSD in my other PC the P system the score is only I also notice the boot time is slightly longer on the P system vs P55 SSD P67 chipset performance - This is a SATA SSD I connected it to a native SATA port in the P system I ve tried both SATA and the Marvel SATA ports in the P system but the score remains the same regardless So to the questions Would the difference in CPU power between my two systems have an impact on the performance of the SSD in any way Is the P chipset or the onboard rd party Marvel SATA controller to blame for the difference in performance Can it simply be that my SSD works better with the quot native quot SATA connectors on my P SSD performance - P67 vs P55 chipset motherboard than it does with my Marvel SATA option on the P motherboard If anybody has a clue about this SSD performance - P67 vs P55 chipset I m all ears Motherboards ASUS P P Pro Gigabyte GA-P A-UD rev EDIT Forgot to mention that I m using a Intel Core i - K GHz CPU with the P system and a Intel Core i - GHz CPU SSD performance - P67 vs P55 chipset with the P system Both systems use the same type and amount of Corsair Mhz CL memory chips and they both run Windows x nbsp

A:SSD performance - P67 vs P55 chipset

corsair force 3 240gb

I had to turn off prefetch and supperfetch to get this score with my SSD
i7 2630qm
8gb ram
intel 3000hd graphics
corsair force 3 240gb SSD
Gateway NV57H Laptop
P65 Chipset

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-performance-p67-vs-p55-chipset.170263/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello,

I am brand new to this website and I was just looking over these great forums. I have a question.... I dropped my computer off at a local computer shop near me and they upgraded my video card for me. I had a Radeon 4650 in there and now it is a Radeon 6450. I went to play a little bit of saints row the third and it is lagging like CRAZY! I had no problems running this and I used the can you run it? program developed by amd and i used to pass with flying colors, now im a little over minimum. What could be happening!?

A:Upgraded video card... performance drop?

Take it back and get your money and the old card back.

I want to ask how much did you pay for the "upgrade?"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgraded-video-card-performance-drop.177448/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello people, i had just bought the above mentioned graphics card. I want to know how is its performance and quality? After installing this card i played NFS underground. I just can't see any difference or any advantage in this game. Is it really good a card? And if it is then which games would put this card for real tests? Also i wanna know which latest games are compatible with this card? Please provide me with the list of such latest games.

Thank you.

A:Quality and performance of Asus EN210 graphics card

I'm sure the quality of the card is good with respect to its manufacture but it's not a gaming card at all. It might be able to play some low spec games but if you want to play the "latest games," this is not the card for it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quality-and-performance-of-asus-en210-graphics-card.177068/
Relevancy 25.8%

What are you going to use the PC for? Multi-tasking,Gaming

How much is your budget? 2000$

Where are you located? (a.k.a. fill out your profile) Canada

Are you willing to buy online? Yes, ncix preferably

Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build? No

Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others? No

Have you already bought any parts? No

Do you have an Operating System (OS)? No

Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?

I'm planning on OC'ing the cpu so cpu cooler.

I'm new to this but i would follow tutorials online and build it myself. Just need a solid and compatible config for 2000$.

I will need a ssd and a gpu card that supports dual monitors.

Waiting suggestions thx a lot in advance.

A:$2,000 high performance/multitasking/gaming config

My suggestions:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full Version OEM 64-bit (Branded) - $129 + $30 shipping (this site has 1,600 reviews and about 1,300 are 5 star and only 9 are 1 star so I think it is trustworthy).

Intel Core i7-2700K 3.50GHz 8MB Cache DDR3 LGA1155 - $354

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - $120

OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom - $170 + $6 shipping ($30 rebate expires 1/31/12).

Cooler Master RC-932-KKN5-GP HAF 932 Advance Full Tower Case - ATX, Black, SuperSpeed USB 3.0
- $160 ($20 rebate expires 1/31/12).

Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Internal 12x Blu-Ray Burner - $100 ($20 rebate expires 1/31/12).

Sapphire Video Card HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI DVI-I Dual Mini DP Retail - $578

OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTXPL120G Vertex Plus 2.5" Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA II - $150

Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s - $130

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB Kit (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz PC3 12800 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit - $55

No motherboard, I think the 7970 is the problem, the 7950 is just around the corner so wait for that to come out and it should be at least $100 (maybe $200) cheaper which would give plenty of room for buying a motherboard. I would suggest something a long the lines of this motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard ($160 + $13 shipping). Also I'm 99.9% sure both the 7970 and the 7950 support dual monitors as almost all graphics cards nowadays do.

Total: $1982(before rebates), that leaves $18 for shipping on the items I didn't mention, which is obviously not enough. I overestimated all prices so it might be a couple of dollars off. If you didn't want to buy an hdd that'll save your $130 which then makes enough room for shipping but if you did want one then I have no idea how much the shipping will cost for your address but I hope you'll be able to accumulate that much. At the very least I suggest you buy the psu with the rebate because I think $146 for that psu is a great deal (although ocz takes 2 months, without rush processing, to get rebate card to you, speaking from personal experience).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-000-high-performance-multitasking-gaming-config.176826/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi guys,

I tried searching this topic on the web and on this forum but without much satisfaction. I'm currently working on putting a new build together for myself. As a result of that, I'm finding myself not knowing how my MOBO choice will affect my FPS performance. I am aware that high end MOBOs are built for better overclocking performance, but if I won't overclock or only overclock a little, how much FPS gain will I experience from choosing the higher end MOBO?

I'm specifically looking at the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 & the ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3.
The motherboard is going to be paired with an AMD Radeon HD 7970. From what I have read online, there is only a 2-3% performance increase with higher end MOBOs.

Any input?

Cheers

baN

A:Performance difference between mid-range and high-end mobos

It's not performance per se, but the quality of components ie. transistors, connectors, headers, overall quality etc....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/performance-difference-between-mid-range-and-high-end-mobos.175173/
Relevancy 26.66%

Was wondering if you pros could build me the best machine i can get for 1500$ given what I need :

What are you going to use the PC for?

Working with postgresql databases
Gaming

How much is your budget?

1500$

Where are you located? (a.k.a. fill out your profile)

Canada

Are you willing to buy online?

yes
Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build?

No.

Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others?

No

Have you already bought any parts?

No
Do you have an Operating System (OS)?

No
Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?

Cpu cooler cause i will try to overclock. I also need a SSD.

Thanks a lot.

I'm willing to buy on ncix since they can assemble it for me and they have pricematching system.

A:$1,500 gaming/performance PC

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support .
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
And try to find a Thermalright True Spirit 120/140.

That should total you about $1000 CAD and leave you enough for a case, optical drive, OS, and storage.
Oh I messed up a little. It's fixed now; I thought about suggesting 3x6870s. I don't know what postgresql databases are, but the 2600k/2500k is your choice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1-500-gaming-performance-pc.176821/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi
I need help on upgrading my asus g60vx
The specs are:
intel core2duo p7350 @ 2.00ghz
4gig ram
Geforce GTX 260m

Im trying to run fps games like battlefield 3, crysis 2, war inc but i have low fps on those games and they lag.

Can anybody please advise me on how to upgrade my pc please

Thank You

A:Increasing Asus g60Vx gaming performance?

This is a laptop, not built to run those games well... If you have the maximum memory allowed and a hard drive that has enough speed (7200rpms) and free capacity or space, that's all you can do

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/increasing-asus-g60vx-gaming-performance.176302/
Relevancy 26.23%

I am currently being forced (pun intended) to play Star Wars, The Old Republic on my laptop til my new comp is built... I have an HP G60, not a gaming laptop by any means... but it is able to run the game at its lowest settings... with High Performance power setting.

I am wondering if there is anything I can do or change to enhance the performance with this game that would be easy to do?

I read overclocking on laptops is not an option but is there anything else that might be available and easy to do for gaming over the next few days?

A:Enhancing laptop performance?

Increase the hard drive's capacity and increase the amount of system memory to the max allowed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/enhancing-laptop-performance.174841/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there's some way for me to see how bad my current card is (GTX 9800+) compared to newer cards. Like a website with loads of cards and general performance figures so it's easy to compare?

any suggestions welcome,
thanks

A:GPU performance scale

This site will allow you to see performance comparisons between all cards.

PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmarks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gpu-performance-scale.174243/
Relevancy 25.8%

Now I have been trying to run Skyrim on all the minimum settings and it just will not reach a usable frame rate. I am using the M11X from Alienware with all the original manufacturer components. I do not know a whole lot about computers but it seems that the problem is with my video card. The Geforce GT 335M. Is there anything I can do to increase performance, short of having to purchase new equipment entirely?

A:Poor Skyrim performance on Alienware M11X laptop

How much memory is installed? What CPU is installed and what version of Windows is installed? Is Windows fully updated?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/poor-skyrim-performance-on-alienware-m11x-laptop.173466/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade replace my current 2x2GB DDR2-667 modules with 2x2GB DDR2-1066 modules in a couple days but I'm wondering if I really need that!

I mainly write software and run linux on virtualbox on that particular machine and so far everything works really well but I'm looking forward to game a little on it as well, after a video card upgrade of course!

So, would I get like a reasonable performance increase with those ddr2-1066 modules or should I just forget about them and keep my current setup?

A:DDR2-667 to DDR2-1066 performance?

Does your motherboard support the DDR2-1066?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ddr2-667-to-ddr2-1066-performance.173140/
Relevancy 25.8%

Several months ago I recieved a custom Laptop from PCspecialist co uk and until recently it had met all my expectations In the last couple of weeks however I have noticed a significant drop in performance Processor Intel i QM Ghz GPU Gb Radeon HD M RAM & with HD Intel 6990M i7 Radeon Performance drops Gb DDR OS Windows The laptop was bought as a high power gaming laptop and it served its purpose very well until recently when games that had been performing perfectly became sluggish and laggy I have downloaded and run Passmark and it has given my processor a score of vs the normal - for its Performance drops with Intel i7 & Radeon HD 6990M type and the result for the Performance drops with Intel i7 & Radeon HD 6990M graphics card was similarly far below the standard benchmark The laptop doesn t seem to generate any heat even on intense games even though it did so previously so for whatever reason it doesn t seem to be working as hard I haven t got many programs installed as the laptop was intended for gaming and light web browsing so the HD is relatively empty Even Skype has been complaining of low performance I d just like to know what is wrong with my laptop and how I can get it s edge back Any help is appreciated Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Performance drops with Intel i7 & Radeon HD 6990M

ok, I have installed some monitoring software for my CPU and graphics card and I can tell you that even with a game running, the graphics card doesn't even seem to be active.
This is using AMD System monitor.
Is it possible that I have somehow gotten stuck on Internal graphics? I doubt this as most internal graphics probably can't manage Supcom even slightly but I don't know any other explaination. Everything I can monitor I am monitoring and neither CPU, GPU or RAM even seem to be coming close to maxing out and yet games are lagging and juddering and complaining about low performance.
This never used to happen and is literally a last couple of weeks thing.
Any help at all would be appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/performance-drops-with-intel-i7-radeon-hd-6990m.172788/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello everyone For a past few weeks I have been experiencing noticeably low framerates in all games It s really annoying because right now I can t performance low Surprisingly in-game play even deus ex human revolution which was very friendly to my setup before My machine may not be the newest one but its not the worst on the market My pc contains- Q at ghz x gb corsair ddr ram mhz hd mhz gigabyte ga-g m-s l Surprisingly low in-game performance don t laugh at it I know it pretty much suc s ocz stealthxstream w and seagate gb hard disk rpm I use mostly res vista home basic b service pack Framerate in deus ex human revolution reaches fps max in town and up to fps in closed areas In battlefield open beta maximum framerate was around - fps all the times well I know that this pc has it Surprisingly low in-game performance s golden era somewhere in the past but it s not supposed to suck so badly atm especially that right after dx hr was released I was actually able to run Surprisingly low in-game performance it maxed with - fps I noticed lower framerates in all my other games too WoW Crysis the witcher I would be very grateful for helping me out on this issue since its starting to wash gaming away from my life pretty much What should I do nbsp

A:Surprisingly low in-game performance

To me, other than your computers power supply being a tad bit on the low side for my tastes, I really don't see anything that would be holding your system back, from being a decent little gamer. All the hardware is there, and it all looks like it should be up to par in regards to gaming.

Now of course the obvious questions...do you know if your computers video card drivers are up to date? Are your computers sound card drivers up to date? And or course, is your computers operating system totally up to date? If yes, yes & yes, I normally then venture forth into temperature related issues. When was the last time you took your computers case side panel off and took a can of compressed air and really gave it all a good cleaning? Sometimes dirt and dust and dander build up on key area's inside a computer, normally video cards and areas of the motherboards can make for unstable temperatures on those parts. Hence reducing that devices full potential when normally in a cool state.

When was the last time you tested all your devices through your operating system? Are there any parts in there that are leaning towards being on the old side, if so, are those parts now starting to fail therefore starting to hold back your system from being all it can be?

Well that's about all from me, I'll wait to see what you have to say, plus that laundry list of questions could be looked at as a "to do list" and should keep you busy for a little while. But don't give up hope, I'm sure with my help and the help of more competent people here on the forums your going to be just fine!

So get back to us..........

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/surprisingly-low-in-game-performance.171867/
Relevancy 27.09%

In the performance and info tools of win/7 I rated my PC. The rating showed that my PC was held back by the HD transfer rate. After I changed my HD to a much faster one that I actually observed, but the rating of the PC remained the same showing that the HD was still holding back the PC. The rating of the HD had not changed after the installation of the faster HD.
Any explanation?
Thanks,
YannisG

A:HD performance

DMA speed from external devices directly into memory. This should be your BUSS speed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hd-performance.170281/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi, I need a little advice..
I'm doing a graphics upgrade on a budget and I'm toying with the idea of a pair of XFX HD5670 1G DDR5 128 bit in crossfire. My cost for these cards puts me in the same price range as a single GTS460 or an HD6850. I'm wondering how the xfire setup would compare performance wise to either of these GPUs on their own. Res is 1920x1080.

Note: I'm set up well for any of the above with a 790FX board 2 @ X 16 lanes and a Cougar CMX700 psu..

Thanks

A:Radeon HD 5670 Crossfire performance

I personally wouldn't recommend it compared to either of those alternatives. From benchmarks [1][2] I've seen the 5670 in crossfire seems to perform around the 5770's range on average at 1920x1080 which at the time for price / performance was decent. However now, it doesn't seem like the best investment especially at 1920x1080. I think you'd be better served with a one mid-range card than two lower end ones and even with that you will likely need to turn down some detail depending on the game.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radeon-hd-5670-crossfire-performance.169610/
Relevancy 25.8%

For these day s hard disks to use as System C-drive please on performance Advice maximum size C-drive for for operating sytem and programs is there a recommmended maximum size before the performance slows down due to longer seek times etc I m referring to conventional hard disks not SSD I remember a few years ago for speed purposes anything bigger than GB was advised to be avoided for the C-drive as load times were becoming noticeably longer Is this still the case with today s systems I m planning to build a new i K gaming system and I m not quite ready to go SSD Advice please on C-drive maximum size for performance yet My HD will be Western Digital SATA- MB cache such as the WD FAEX and will be used as my C-drive as a single partition While OS software will go on this System drive all my personal files documents videos pictures etc will go be stored on another drive which I ll have as big as possible and I don t mind how slow that one becomes My options for Advice please on C-drive maximum size for performance C-drive size are MB TB TB and TB Which one would perform the fastest do seek times increase as used space increases or does it make no more difference anymore with modern advancements And is it adviseable to have the OS swap files on a separate drive or same drive as OS Thanks nbsp

A:Advice please on C-drive maximum size for performance

These questions have been asked and answered over and over for the last ten years or so... I have a 1TB drive C, RAID setup (2 500GB Seagate SATA drives) for my OS and everything else, and a separate 420GB drive used as a backup drive for my music, documents, downloads and pictures. With today's CPU's, memory capacity and great computing speeds, swap files really aren't necessary at all... I have never experienced any benefits moving the Windows swap file to another drive separate from the OS. I really don't use full drive image backups either for my small business

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-please-on-c-drive-maximum-size-for-performance.169319/
Relevancy 26.23%

My current build is..

Amd Athlon x2 250 3.0ghz

4gb ram

480w Generic psu 36a combined on 2 12v rails

I will be going to

Phenom x6 1090t

12gb ram

Corsair 750w psu with 60a on a single 12v rail.

(my vid card is a Gtx 460, and my OS is Windows 7 64 bit)

A:How much of a performance increase will I see with these upgrades?

i mainly want to know about the cpu upgrade.Sorry about the other stuff thats not related to the forum.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-much-of-a-performance-increase-will-i-see-with-these-upgrades.168309/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade the memory in my PC.

Currently I have 1x 1Gb DDR 400 and 1x 512Mb DDR 400

My motherboard (Abit NF7-S) can accept a maximum of 2x1Gb 400Mhz or 3x1Gb 333Mhz. Which configuration is likely to give best results?

Am I correct in thinking at I can mix and match the speeds, but the system will just run at the slowest speed?

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice

Ian

A:DDR: 2GB 400Mhz or 3GB 333Mhz - which gives better performance?

The memory will run at the speed of the slowest DIMM. So, you're right about that.

I take it that this is an older machine. If you're running XP (32 bit), I don't see you picking up much performance from the extra 1 GB of RAM. (2 GB > 3 GB).

People believe that more RAM is the only factor to improved performance. But, it doesn't add more work per clock cycle, and the CPU is still doing as much work per clock as it was designed to do. That be whether, 2GB or 200 GB of RAM is in the machine.

You should be managing your resources with the task manager, and finding out which program(s) are using up the RAM. At some point, you hit a wall where you have to kill processes, and/or close programs to manage an older computer.

XP's sweet spot is 2 GB. Some older programs screw up with more than 2GB of installed RAM. Notably Nero 6.

Boot times with DDR are poor in general. I don't really know if 400Mhz is noticeably faster than 333 Mhz RAM. But, I'm guessing cleaning up your start up programs and unnecessary process would improve performance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ddr-2gb-400mhz-or-3gb-333mhz-which-gives-better-performance.167966/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello,

I would like to know if there is big performance difference between the two GPUs.
I am looking for a cheaper GPU and in my country there is a 100 Euros difference. I am just asking if the hd 6950 is worth the extra 100 Euros.

Thanks in advance.

A:Radeon HD 6870 vs. 6950. Is there a big performance difference?

Here's a comparision of the two cards using AnandTech's benchmark feature.

HD6950 vs HD6870

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radeon-hd-6870-vs-6950-is-there-a-big-performance-difference.167978/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi guys.

I was looking for a little advice please. I brought the Packard Bell iextreme M5722 around 18 months ago.

I have recently started using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. However I was wondering what I can do to upgrade so I have smoother play and more FPS. I am hoping to spend no more than about 300-400, What can I do to get the best possible experience?

Here are my system specs;

Packard Bell ixtreme M5722
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.50GHz 2.50GHz
Ram:6.00GB
64-Bit OS
Windows 7 Home Premium
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT220 1GB DDR2, Direct X 11

Also, the upgrades I need how do I make sure they will go into my machine??

I do have some pictures but unfortunatly i need 5 posts

A:Suggestions on £300-£400 upgrade for improved Flight Sim performance

I really don't know what you're expecting from FS 2004. The game's requirements are very low in the first place. In fact, it can be run easily from some integrated graphics platforms. No matter what system you run it on, you won't ever think you're watching footage from "Top Gun".

It is actually intended to be a pilot training aid, more so than an action game. Presumably it's single threaded, since it's from the P-4 era.

M$ Flight Simulator "X", has much higher requirements, and along with them, better graphics. However, people complain about, "low FPS" with that game, even in very high powered computers.

Your graphics card is weak. It's not much better than integrated graphics. If you want to make an overall big improvement in your machine, I's suggest you replace the video card with a GT-460 or better. This being dependent on what's on sale at the moment, and how far you plan to take your gaming.

If you want a more exiting aircraft based game, I'd suggest you investigate other more combat oriented games. I think there are extension packages for FS-2004 & FS "X", which will give you more aircraft, but I don't know if they enhance the, "playability".

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggestions-on-%C2%A3300-%C2%A3400-upgrade-for-improved-flight-sim-performance.167673/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi I m just getting into pc gaming but since i had my new desktop build i haven t had the best results with gaming I get poor performance on pretty much every game i ve tried from Mass Effect crysis and and now Arkham Asylum I get a lot of frame rate drops and in some cases like crysis i can t even play on medium settings without massive drops I ve tried a lot of tweaks research etc but i PC performance Poor gaming new on m pretty much going crazy here Help me out Chipset AMD G Processor AMD Phenom II X T MHz Physical Memory MB Poor performance on new gaming PC x DDR -SDRAM Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX Hard Disk Western Digital WD AAKS- UU A ATA Device GB Hard Disk Hitachi HTS L A GB DVD-Rom Drive ELBY CLONEDRIVE DVD-Rom Drive ATAPI iHAS B Monitor Type Toshiba TOSHIBA-TV - inches Network Card Realtek Semiconductor RTL PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Operating System Windows Ultimate Professional Media Center -bit DirectX Version nbsp

A:Poor performance on new gaming PC

So are u sure your video card and CD player are up to date. It seems to me like your software is not up to date. U should install the latest software to make sure your games run right.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/poor-performance-on-new-gaming-pc.167411/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey everyone I m new to this forum So I m not able to post links I ll give the names though and if it helps I use newegg and although I ve been performance maximize to a Choosing monitor gaming pc gaming for a while I need help choosing a monitor that will really help to maximize the potential performance of my custom-built computer I waned to find a monitor that I could really be amazed in its performance but I do realize that my price range of about - is really picky If it helps at all this is the video card that I am currently using ASUS EAH DARK KNIGHT G I Choosing a gaming monitor to maximize performance built my computer about a year ago and I m starting to think it might be time to upgrade the card as well but that s for another time I ve Choosing a gaming monitor to maximize performance been using my brother s ASUS inch monitor but now I want to buy one for myself and give him his I just want a monitor that can maximize the potential performance like I said though I m not an expert in the specifications of monitors I ve been looking at these so far and any suggestions explanations would be very appreciated ASUS VW H Glossy Black quot ms GTG HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor cd m ASCR Built-in Speakers ASUS VE H Black quot ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w Speakers cd m ASCR SAMSUNG BX Glossy Black quot x ms Full HD LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design cd m DCR I m also wondering how the size effects gaming visuals and if it s really worth it as well as how much of an impact a big contrast ratio has Thanks so much nbsp

A:Choosing a gaming monitor to maximize performance

Well a monitor isn't really going to "maximize gaming performance" but buying a high-quality display will enhance visual quality... if that's what you mean. For gaming, a lot of people choose to go with 1920x1200 (16:10) but those monitors can be harder to find and will be more expensive. Basically you just want a fast response time and at least a 40,000:1 ratio. This will give you great visuals and allow your graphics card to utilize its gaming potential. I'd recommend 22" and above but the resolution and color ratio is more important. The response time should be anywhere from 2ms to 5ms but it's not super important.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/choosing-a-gaming-monitor-to-maximize-performance.167469/
Relevancy 26.23%

1) I have an X58 Platinum SLI Motherboard, is this RAM going to be compatible with my MB? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00339X1EM?ie=UTF8&tag=cursegaming0f-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00339X1EM

Also, it looks like it comes with 2 sticks of RAM. I have 3 slots so I'd have to places 2 orders, so wouldn't I end up with 1 extra stick?

2) The inside of my case is pretty dusty, would that affect performance at all?

3) I have an Intel i7 920, are the newer i7 processors enough of an improvement in performance that it would be worth upgrading?

4) Same question in regards to my graphics card. I have an nvidia GeForce GTX 260.

5) Is there any reason to buy http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0036Q7MV0 other then the storage space?

A:A few questions about compatability and performance

Alright, first off from what Ive looked up on your motherboard and that ram, they don't look to be compatible. I can suggest you some that will work if you like. As for the 2 packs, since your board only supports 3 RAM slots, then yes you would end up with a extra stick. Which you could save for the future or just order 3 separate 4gib sticks or w.e your preference is.

Your case- It being dusty will affect performance, when your board and other hardware is cover with dust, it will cause malfunctions and overheating. Which could result in things such as BSOD's , you'd want to get that cleaned out before doing any upgrading.

Your processor upgrade is also something you'd have to choose for yourself, the newer i7's are indeed great CPU's and would be worth upgrading too if you wanted. But it all depends on what you plan on doing with your machine.

Your graphics card upgrade is again to your discretion. If you don't do any type of gaming where u desire max graphics or anything of that sort, then your card is fine for casual use. But if you do intend on gaming, i would recommend upgrading to a better card.

as for the HDD you posted, well no there is no need, unless you feel you need more disk space. If your just looking for a better preforming disk, i suggest looking into SSD's .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-few-questions-about-compatability-and-performance.166472/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello, my usb devices are running really slow, i have run a anti-virus and disk defrag i am wondering what could be causing this decrease in performance
thanks

A:Performance of USB device

What are your computers specs? Look at my specs in the upper right-hand corner of my posts for an idea of what computer specs are...

"my usb devices are running really slow"...

What do you mean by "running slow"?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/performance-of-usb-device.165796/
Relevancy 25.8%

I am using Windows XP SP on my laptop GHz GB RAM GB free space The problem I ran into is the performance issue after some time using the laptop it gets slower and then could get MUCH slower to a complete halt I have checked it for viruses malware but didn t find anything For some reason the problem performance has a mysterious HP530 problem My laptop occurs from time to time after several boots - it runs normally and works fine for several days or weeks till the next reboot If the reboot was bad it really starts getting slower when I open chrome browser and watch youtube videos After that task manager might show the CPU use - all the time with programs like Skype or Chrome consuming more than of its power which is ridiculous Could it be a heating issue Sometimes it gets hot enough so reboot doesn t work - it simply switches off during the booting But again after several reboots it works fine and swiftly for several weeks until next reboot is required I am confused nbsp

A:My HP530 laptop has a mysterious performance problem

Go ahead and save any important files, and do a fresh install of XP

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hp530-laptop-has-a-mysterious-performance-problem.165431/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello I have this mobo., with a XP athlon 3000+ Barton CPU. Can anyone tell me the exact BIOS setting for the most stable performance. Know I have it at 217mgz 10.5x, 100% memory which puts me at 2.28ghz.
Thank you.

A:A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS settings for stable performance?

You have to figure this out yourself by just boosting the CPU clock and Core voltage a notch at a time, until the system becomes unstable... Be aware that you may trash the motherboard if you go too far

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a7n8x-e-deluxe-bios-settings-for-stable-performance.163470/
Relevancy 26.66%

An interesting article at Xbit pitting five different (and current) CPU families in a variety of benchmarks in both stock and overclocked form.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-2600k-990x.html
Well worth a browse

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/p67-v-x58-v-p55-v-am3-performance-stock-oc.163547/
Relevancy 25.8%

I upgraded from a single GTX 275 to crossfire XFX HD6870s. Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2.

Now I am strictly speaking of in game (Black Ops) not benchmarks...

I may have had my expectations too high.. but I expected some higher frame rates...

With the GTX 275 I managed to get around 90 - 100 fps.

Now I installed the two 6870s and I am still getting between 90 - 100 fps, and in fact drops down below 60 fps at certain points in the game (online multiplayer) I have played with the settings in game, but not many settings in the CCC except for enabling crossfire mode.

Am I expecting too much, or am I doing something wrong here?

Edit:
Also, If I should send back my two 6870s and replace it with something that will give me better performance... if you have a suggestion let's keep the price range for the two cards under $600.

A:Upgraded video cards but no noticeable performance gain!

I dont know anything about crossfire, but may only one gpu is working. ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgraded-video-cards-but-no-noticeable-performance-gain.162092/
Relevancy 25.37%

I notice some hard drives with larger buffers or really big capacities have slower RPM (e.g. 5400). Is the RPM not important or something?

BTW since there's lots of people with actual problems posting on this forum, is there anything I should put in the title to make clear my questions aren't urgent?

A:Curious about which part of hard drive has bigger impact on performance

I would say: for low boot-up times, RPM matter a lot since the buffer needs to be loaded from scratch. But after that, the buffer matters a lot. Of course, what also matters is the data-transfer speed depending on the type of connection and the read/write properties of the hard drive.

So well, the RPM is in fact important, but hardly noticeable "on the short run." Those extra seconds spent booting and loading files etc will eventually become minutes and maybe hours of your life spent just waiting for something to happen.

Lowering the RPM is thus an excellent way of reducing the price of big-storage drives of big-buffer drives.

And what matters the most on the long run, is probably the capacity of the drive. Filling it up too soon is never good for anyone

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/curious-about-which-part-of-hard-drive-has-bigger-impact-on-performance.162229/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello all I performance my on Looking for better desktop.. m relatively new here and am looking for advice I m starting to Looking for better performance on my desktop.. get into video editing but I don t do a whole lot of gaming I ve listed Looking for better performance on my desktop.. my desktop PC s specs and I was wondering if I could get advice on upgrading the graphics card sound card processor etc or if perhaps it is time to replace the machine Thanks Processor AMD Athlon tm Processor Processor Main Features bit Processor Cache Per Processor KB L Cache Manufacturer HP Pavilion Model PX AA-ABA a n Total amount of system memory GB RAM System type -bit operating system Number of processor cores Power Supply watt Total size of hard disk s GB Disk partition C GB Free GB Total Disk partition D GB Free GB Total Media drive E CD DVD Media drive F CD DVD Motherboard Name MSI MS- HP Albacore-GL E Display adapter type ATI RADEON Xpress Series Socket Type Socket Total available graphics memory MB Dedicated graphics memory MB Dedicated system memory MB Shared system memory MB Display adapter driver version Primary monitor resolution x DirectX version DirectX or better nbsp

A:Looking for better performance on my desktop..

You have 64-bit OS, bu 3GB RAM - interesting.. Also only single-core CPU, which I'd say is holding you back a lot. In that case, since you have to change CPU, you might want to consider a whole new build, as you might choose a different socket.

I'm no expert, but here are my recommendations:

- At least 2.8GHz dual-core. These are dirt-cheap now, and even core i5 quad-cores are rather cheap.

- 6GB RAM + . The higher the better with RAM. This depends on your socket/mobo choice - dual/triple channel, and most likely DDR3.

- RAID 0 HDD's. I hear this helps a LOT. Get 2x 1TB drives, they are dirty cheap now. Or just get one more, as you seem to have a single TB already.

- Graphics card. Not entirely sure here if a workstation card would help.. something tells me no. However, most new programs now DO take advantage of the GPU, so I think an Nvidia card would be better due to CUDA. Unsure if the AMD equivalent is as well-used.

Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-better-performance-on-my-desktop.159001/
Relevancy 26.23%

I didn t see a quot combined quot or quot system quot thread so hopefully I ve chosen the correct place for this post If not please point me to the correct one I recently built a new machine and am disappointed in it s performance as compared to my current one I did a lot of reading before System configuration performance I decided on the particular components in an effort to make the best decisions I figured if there was a place to find out if I had System configuration performance something mis-configured or get other tips this would be it Or course Windows boots pretty quick on the new one that s about the only real improvement I ve seen so far though I know that even though it has cores the T is a tad slower than the but I m confident I can increase its speed once I have things running well at defaults I don t use either for games Mostly for Photoshop Premier and other video programs and typical day to day desktop activities The other day I encoded videos about min each on both machines at the same time each having their own source files to work with and was very surprised that the old machine did the job minutes and change quicker than the new one Same software on both While the machines worked I used Resource Monitor just to get a feel for how things were being used The SSD on the new machine seems incredibly slow as does the overall performance of the machine I ve done various types of reads writes using large and small files none of which impressed me vs the older system Hopefully I ve given you all the info needed Thanks in advance for your help The Old to be used to upgrade my HTPC when new is one dialed in GA- GPA-UD H Rev BIOS F AMD Phenom II Black X GHZ Processor x GB DDR WDC FALS- J B TB SATA II HD OS Programs x WD GB Raptor SATA HDs Raid GB - Photoshop Scratch GB Premier Scratch GB Page File Plextor BDDVDR PX-B SA SATA II DVD Drive On-board GX- Graphics Display Side Port System On-board sound Windows Vista Home Premium SP bit A few minor tweaks for better performance - mostly registry changes All drivers updated Loads of various software running for about six months The New GA- GPA-UD H Rev BIOS FD AMD Phenom II Black X T GHZ Processor x GB DDR OWC GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD - Set to AHCI OS amp Programs WDC WD FAEX- Z A SATA III TB HD Plextor BDDVDR PX-B SA SATA II DVD Drive On-board GX- Graphics Display Disabled PNY NVidia Quadro FX recommended for Photoshop Premier On-board sound Windows Professional bit clean install A few minor tweaks for better performance - mostly registry changes All drivers updated to current bit versions Almost no software at this point Neither system is over clocked though I d like to do so on the new one once properly configured and tweaked I ve been searching for more info on configuring things for the SSD but haven t actually seen much At this point due to the price and lack of improvement I ll probably return the OWC and try another brand or simply stick with a fast HDD Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated nbsp

A:System configuration performance

Frequently, systems are lack-luster due to too many programs running OR autoupdates.

reduce the system services to only what is necessary
stop all those autoupdate programs
remove the startup applications from your user id profile
3) is easy to find
\users\all users\start menu\programs\startups
also look in yourLoginID {ie substituted it for all users above}
Everything in these folders get started when you logon - - "Do you really need it?"

2) can be found unsing the Taskmgr and look at the names. Once you get a list of these,
you can use Spybot Search & Distroy to stop them.

1) is more complex and needs to be done with care, but is very productive.
Many System Services are not necessary even though MS marks them as autostart.
The correction is to change autostart to manual and the nice part is, they can start if requested. To prohibit starting, change to disable.

System Services are accessed by using run services.msc and you need admin privs.

I'll expand on (1-2) with your follow-up ---

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-configuration-performance.154406/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hey,

Whenever i try to extract multiple .rar files, my PC performance drops down, everything starts to lag, even the simplest tasks, and when i checked CPU usage it was less than 20% ( for WinRar ).

My PC conf:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0 GHz
4GB DDR2
Asus M4A78 Pro
nVidia GeForce 250GTS 1GB DDR3
Windows 7 64 Bit

Thanx......

A:Performance drops when extracting

Decompressing rar files is going to be tough on your CPU, RAM, and Storage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/performance-drops-when-extracting.154149/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi everyone First off my English is not that great so bare with me I find that my current computer lacks performance when it comes to gaming lags poor FPS takes too long loading This is a computer i have bought second hand I was wondering if i could optimize it to better fit my needs Goal Run World of Warcraft with addons at maximum settings I currently run dual monitors IN computer Upgrade performance my better for ASUS VW H MS BLACK SPK and Samsung Syncmaster T quot Used for Playing Wow of Upgrade my computer for better performance the time watching movies web browsing Store buying my parts at a local branch Mycrobites The built OS Windows Seven Home Premium Bits CPU AMD Athlon X Dual Core Processor Bits GHz Socket Am MTB Asus M A Sam Pcie DDR Sata Son Lan Upgrade my computer for better performance Ram Kingston X Megs DDR Mhz HD Seagate g rpm Power Supply Cooler Master W model Rs- -ACAA-E Video card EVGA Geforce GTX MB DDR Case Antec nine hundred two Any suggestions on where to start i don t plan on a complete overhaul neither nbsp

A:Upgrade my computer for better performance

Everything looks good, except that you're running with just 2gb of RAM. It might not be too much of an improvement, but try upgrading to 3.
My rig runs WoW almost full spec, and i've only got half the graphics capability of yours + my cpu's a 2.2ghz, but I have 6gb of RAM.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-my-computer-for-better-performance.153839/
Relevancy 25.8%

I've got a HP Pavilion with a crappy built in video card. I have not been able to find a store that sells video cards for laptops and even if I did, are they very difficult to install? Is there such a thing as an external video card that connects to a USB 2 port and increases the laptops performance?

A:What is the easiest way to get better video card performance on a laptop?

In almost all cases, the video card cannot be upgraded in a laptop. At one point a few companies were developing external video cards for laptops but I'm not sure that ever went anywhere.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-easiest-way-to-get-better-video-card-performance-on-a-laptop.150485/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hey guys been awhile since I ve posted on here but run into a pretty depressing and just downright baffling problem for me with my setup I m running Intel i GHz Socket performance should setup a good on what be Bad MB L Cache Asus Rampage II Extreme Corsair w Power Supply X Zotac GeForce GTX MB GDDR Corsair Dominator GT GB x GB DDR C MHz x Acer GD HQ D monitors Spanned Desktop with Nvidia Surround stuff Windows Professional Pic of CPU-Z etc Thing is when I first bought this setup minus one of the s which was bought at a later date It s never run how I Bad performance on what should be a good setup thought it would I ve got D vision and couldn t play Bad Company on a playable FPS with D enabled barely scrapes late s in FPS Which baffles me Even with the nd there wasn t much of an improvement I bought the nd for the Surround displays which yes it s absolutely mind blowing and amazing but Bad performance on what should be a good setup try playing anything in D and it just makes you want to slam your head off the three displays I ll be the first to admit I m actually more aless clueless on over clocking and therefore haven t touched anything but the default quot Optimal settings quot on the Extreme tweaker on the motherboard and the CPU Level-Up which just fails half the time anyway I don t feel that over clocking is the problem for this at the moment as It wasn t running as well as it should ve from the start One problem I noticed is the RAM should be at mhz yet the motherboard forces it to run at mhz Pic of the Bios ExtremeTweaker when I did select optimal settings for the RAM which changed the target DRAM frequency to mhz the computer BSOD s within - minutes of doing anything that stresses it I m just not sure what I m doing wrong why is it all going bad for me I ve tried BC on monitors and sure it s playable but it s not as good as it should be World of Warcraft lags to hell on monitors but I put that down to the game more than anything It s just not performing how well this should be for the money I ve spent on it and the parts Would be really appreciative of any replies of similar problems or any more info you need etc starting to get increasingly frustrated with this computer and want to sort it out Thanks a lot for reading if you got this far Jamibi nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bad-performance-on-what-should-be-a-good-setup.149553/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi,

On my rig(should be listed) I get around 35fps on BC2. this seems low for my rig. I think it is a cpu problem. Another issue is on the level where techspot benchmarked MW2 I get 20fps lower than what they got on a res of 1280x1024 opposed to their 1680x1050. In l4d and l4d2 when a horde comes on I drop from around 120fps to 40fps. I think all this is a cpu/ram problem as they are sort of low end compared to my mid range gpu. Another reason I think this is in ANY GAME when I add x16Q antialiasing I get 0fps drop. No drop at all. Is there something I could do to improve this? Would overclocking my cpu help?

A:Low performance on BC2

The E7500 should not be really bottlenecking the GPU. However, you could definitely OC it and check if you get a performance boost.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/low-performance-on-bc2.149359/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hey guys apologies if this should be in gaming instead I ve just got a new graphics card and also updated GTA IV with the latest patch from windows live The problem I m having is terrible performance With my old card HD I could play the game just fine but after downloading the update and putting in the new card the game runs like its in slow motion completely unplayable The in game benchmark reports fps this is with everything set to its performance GTA with HD5450 IV lowest I thought there GTA IV performance with HD5450 might be a problem with the update so I reinstalled GTA from the dvd and performance was much better although there were a number of lockups After looking around the net it seems that other people can play gta just fine with the same card http www youtube com watch v eH Zj HeL g I know the HD isn t the greatest card but I thought it capable of light gaming The only other game I own is Half Life Ep which runs flawlessly on the highest settings Is there a problem with the GTA for anyone else or is the card simply not up to it I find this odd though as others seem to be able to use it for gta just fine Specs are as follows i - Stock GB OCZ Ram ATI Sapphire HD mb passive nbsp

A:GTA IV performance with HD5450

The HD 5450 will not get you decent performance, especially not with GTA4. GTA 4 is said to be both CPU and GPU hungry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gta-iv-performance-with-hd5450.148323/
Relevancy 25.8%

I thought i would post my idea of a new build i am planning to do and see if anyone has any ideas or if there is a cheaper way of achieving what i want I would like a computer which will run screens side by side and will be powerful enough to run multiple applications Ideally i want to spend around on the tower itself quad High screens using computer for performance Screens peripherals are not necessary i have done some specs myself this is what i came up with There is no need for a huge HDD since i High performance computer for using quad screens have a external hard drive and all files will be stored on there i personally feel an SSD will be High performance computer for using quad screens the way forward for just the OS which will hopefully provide a welcome speed boost Intel Core i GHz Socket LGA MB L Cache - ASUS P P D Evo iP Socket LGA channel audio ATX Motherboard - x Corsair GB x GB DDR MHz PC - XMS DHX Memory Kit - ea Antec EarthWatts W PSU - Plus Certified cm Fan x V Rails - Coolermaster Elite Case - Intel X -M GB quot Solid State Hard Drive SSD SATAII - x MSI GT MB GDDR DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E - ea The whole set up would be running Windows Home Premium bit i know i have slightly overdone the PSU but there will be quite a few things pulling power from the USB ports etc and i would rather play it safe The computers usage will not be used for gaming but it will be used for multiple programs running and lots and lots of real time updating internet pages such as bloomberg etc This spec i have pulled from ebuyer for around Any chopping and swapping ideas welcome this is the foundation stage development so fire away Many thanks to everyone in advance i look forward to your comments Regards AC nbsp

A:High performance computer for using quad screens

Any reason that you're buying 2 9800GTs? The Radeon HD 5830 would be around 170 and might be a better buy.

Also you may consider THIS mobo.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/high-performance-computer-for-using-quad-screens.148460/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi,
I have noticed on all nvidia drivers I have tried 17x.xx to 19x.xx when I play for long periods of time my performance slowly degrades. For example. I start crysis on high at 1280x1024 with 45-60fps. Once I reach the 3rd to 4th level im getting single digit frames. None of my components are overclocked. Does anyone have an idea of what might cause this. Also its not just crysis its every game. I run windows 7 X64. And my specs should be listed under my name.

A:Nvidia Performance Degrade

heat could be hampering the performance... make sure your card's fan is near 100% while running GPU-intensive applications. you can adjust fan speeds in nvidia control panel or download RivaTuner. i'd say if core temps are exceeding ~70c then it's likely the card is being directly affected by excessive heat. if you've tried a lot of drivers then it's even more evidence that your graphics card is overheating.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-performance-degrade.144936/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi Seem I just keep having problems with PC s and I meant to be a PC guy as studying Computer Science Hehe So last week I acquired my brothers Intel Quad Core PC as he & Quad 8GB 2.62gb usable of out slow 64bit OS performance bought himself an i - Spec Intel Q ghz stock Asus P W DH Deluxe Mobo GB RAM PC- Geforce GT mb First thing I did was to backup Then I updated the BIOS and installed my new copy of Windows -bit Professional MSDNAA copy from Uni I installed -bit edition so I could make use of the GB of RAM for a bit of gaming and some video editing Now today Quad 64bit OS 2.62gb usable out of 8GB & slow performance I happened to have a look at System Information at see that Windows appears to show that gb is Quad 64bit OS 2.62gb usable out of 8GB & slow performance installed but gb is usable I previously had Vista Business -bit and it never said anything like that Quad 64bit OS 2.62gb usable out of 8GB & slow performance I know the graphics card can use up to GB from its stock mb I have Intel Sidestep disabled How come I am encountering this Also I am encountering it to be really slow at times it actually froze up for a while when installing Office haha my P never even did that Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Quad 64bit OS 2.62gb usable out of 8GB & slow performance

What happens if you install just 4GB of RAM?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quad-64bit-os-2-62gb-usable-out-of-8gb-slow-performance.144655/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi I am using a system with MSI very PC slow is performance motherboard model K N G-L CPU is Athlon Ghz Memory GB Corsiar DDR x Graphic card is Albatron GF Ti with mb No overclocking was done My system has a DVD-RW drive DVD-Rom drive units of internal IDE hard disk and an external USB hard disk with independent power adapter System PSU true power is at W I m already using this PC for PC performance is very slow more than years now I know that this system is already old But I mainly use this system to surf net do assignments and watch movies from hard disks It was fine for my type of usage until recently weeks back my system which was working fine suddenly within an hour became so slow that even moving mouse cursor is not smooth anymore For example a single file mb transfer from one partition to another or external HD will take hours to complete If I do multiple file transfer gb the system will simply hang after about an hour without even completing the st file transfer Watching movies from hard disk is torture Suspecting some programs which I installed recently might have corrupted the registry I did formatting of my C drive and installed fresh Windows XP Pro SP Once PC performance is very slow I finished installing my PC was back to normal However when I downloaded and installed all latest software which I was using previously my PC became noticeably slow But it was still fine When Automatic Windows update finished PC performance is very slow updating my OS to XP SP my PC already started showing the original symptoms This eventually will go bad to worse I even bought latest Windows XP SP CD pack and tried fresh installation again Still same Surprisingly from task manager I noticed my CPU usage is not high On average idle condition it will be around When I start for example firefox it ll go up about but only for brief moment than it drops back to When I do file transfer CPU usage will be at most When I watch movie it ll hover around - There will be around mb of Ram still available when I m running these applications I m not sure what is causing my PC to run so slow I even changed from Avast to Norton IS updated and scanned the all the harddisk Another symptom is when I stress my PC by running more than applications like file transfer copy surf internet downloading and at same time open play movie the PC will struggle to work for short period than suddenly restart as if there is a power failure Note I changed my PSU years ago since the st one failed Sorry for these long comment I m just frustrated and exhaust of idea to move forward Can anybody suggest how to overcome this Thanks nbsp

A:PC performance is very slow

Hopefully you're using an LUA account to access the net and not an Admin.

get a list of programs that are runningrun->tasklist >myTasks.txt​
follow-up and attach myTasks.txt which will be located at %userprofile%\myTasks.txt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-performance-is-very-slow.143299/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a 2 tb caviar green hdd.
My motherboard only supports 1.5gbps sata so my question is.

Is 1.5gbps enough for the hdd to reach it's max read and write speed?

Or will it suffer performance loss because of the lower bandwidth?

It's read and write speed is around 100MB/s

A:WD Caviar Green in 1.5gbps, performance loss?

The 2 TB drive is trouble for too many, regardless of brand. Stick with the 1.5 TB or smaller.
You won't have performance loss. If you want High performance, use a 250 or 320 GB hard drive.
Be sure you have the correct cables, that latch onto the drive, and are usable for SATA II

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-caviar-green-in-1-5gbps-performance-loss.141884/
Relevancy 26.23%

I just ordered an SSD(Kingston SSDNow 40, Intel Controller), at his moment this ssd doesn't support TRIM command, so I'm wondering what can I do to maintain the performance of this SSD over longer periods? what programs should I use to clean the ssd? what shouldn't I do? etc...

anticipated thanks to everyone!

A:How to maintain the performance of a non-TRIM SSD?

If you are planning to use windows 7 you should be fine; otherwise you'll be suffering over time; I'll look into it and get back to you.

In the meantime check this out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-maintain-the-performance-of-a-non-trim-ssd.141744/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hey, over the last few years i've owned several gfx cards both nvidia and ati depending on what was worth it at the time.

It seems though that the ATI cards i've owned all seem to deteriorate in performance over time (around 6 months) while nvida cards didn't, currently i'm using a HD 4850 which is doing the same thing and i was wondering if anyone knew why this happens and if there's any way to fix it because its becoming a real problem i mean i've gone from playing fallout 3 on full settings to playing on medium with no AA or AF as an example, also i use xfire to check my FPS.

Specs if it helps: Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, Sapphire HD 4850, 3 GB ram, 500GB WD HDD(almost full),Gigabyte P35 mobo(version 2.1)

Cheers in advance
(no i am not bias dont care about company as long as it works)

A:ATI performance issue?

Thats a strange one I never had any issues whenever i bought ATI or nVidia for myself or friends, and with regard to stability/performance; usually both of them do what came on with the box. Anyway, I'll check around to see if I can find something on this one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-performance-issue.141807/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello So I just finished building a new gaming computer earlier this week and after installing and running a couple games I m getting some strange results For high end games - computer New performance issues like Modern Warfare it s performing great But when I went to play WoW I get New computer - performance issues really low FPS despite how I New computer - performance issues change in game settings It is playing even worse than my old New computer - performance issues computer was which was out of date by about years Even things like browsing in Firefox seems to have some hiccups every now and then like the entire program freezes for just a second but it happens about in pages that I visit I made some minor changes in the BIOS like setting the video to PCIexpress instead of default PCI and all of the drivers are there but I can t figure out why the performance seems to come up short Any ideas Edit Almost forgot I got a blue screen while closing a program yesterday a A stop error Not quite sure what it means though Specs are EVGA intel x SLI LE Core i - GHz EVGA GeForce GTX MB OCZ gb x gb mhz DDR WD Caviar Black TB running on Windows bit Let me know if you need more information I ll give what I can nbsp

A:New computer - performance issues

read: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic66073.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-computer-performance-issues.140330/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi all,

i have problem with my graphic card. I've installed Windows 7 64-bit and my performance in games drops extremly. First example is PES 2010 game. That game i was able to run on 1680x1050 on full details smothly... Now i cant get it on 1440x900 on high detail. Only on low I've reinstalled PhysX but nothing, I've downloaded new nvidia drivers, nothing... Any sugestions?

mobo: MSI P7N SLI Platinum
cpu: E8400
meme: 4GB DDR2 some transcend low budget
gpu: Gainward 9800GTX
psu: chieftec 450W

A:Gainward 9800GTX & Windows 7 64 poor performance?

did u reinstall ALL driver by yourself.. Motherboardchipset, Gfx Driver, sounddriver..
I have also a Win7 / 64Bit system ..but i have no troubles..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gainward-9800gtx-windows-7-64-poor-performance.140711/
Relevancy 26.23%

I need help I just built a new computer system and I m experiencing very poor VGA performance When I run the Batman AA benchmark x with visual and physics settings maxed mobo Poor Asus VGA of R.E. performance II out Poor VGA performance of Asus R.E. II mobo I only get an average of FPS On my old LGA motherboard with the same video cards I would average around FPS Every game I run looks like a slide show because my frame rates are so darn low My specs are as follows Motherboard ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA Intel X Memory CORSAIR DOMINATOR GB x GB -Pin DDR Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU- HX W ATX V EPS V Hard Drive Western Digital VelociRaptor WD HLFS GB RPM MB CPU Intel Core i - Bloomfield GHz Graphics x BFG NVIDIA Geforce GTX OCX MAXCORE MB SLI Physics EVGA Geforce OS Win and Win Vista I have updated all the motherboard drivers from the Asus website I ve tried both win and win vista I ve updated my video card drivers The problem exists when I run the CPU at default and over-clocked speeds My video cards worked flawlessly in my old system I m beginning to suspect I have either a bad motherboard or power supply When I have more time this weekend I will try my old power supply in order to narrow the problem to the motherboard I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to building and trouble shooting computers but I m stumped concerning this issue If anyone could offer any help or suggestions that would be great nbsp

A:Poor VGA performance of Asus R.E. II mobo

It's probably just the game not being optimized for i7-based boards... possibly needs an update. Have you tried any other games yet? Try disabling SLI and Physx for the time being and see if that helps. I don't remember Arkham Asylum being able to support any of those more high-end features. I didn't run the game with CrossFire though so I can't really justify how it ran with it enabled. Also, make sure your RAM timings are correct and that nothing is overheating, most importantly the northbridge/chipset.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/poor-vga-performance-of-asus-r-e-ii-mobo.139800/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi I have a system with an ASUS P AD -E Premium mobo When I first set up the system I installed two identical GB SATA drives on the Intel ICH R controller I set it up for RAID I never had a chance to compare a RAID setup with standard SATA in AHCI mode so I just assumed that RAID was better performance old on ASUS SATA mobo than standard SATA Now almost yrs later I have decided to replace the two old HDD s with one SATA II GB It s a Western Digital WD AALS It has a MB buffer compared with the old drives with only MB buffer All of these SATA performance on old ASUS mobo drives are RPM My first thought was to buy another of the GB drives SATA performance on old ASUS mobo so I could set up another RAID system but after reading about RAID and controllers I realize that RAID on my system is probably not worth the cost of the second HDD and I don t need another GB of storage Since both the Intel ICH R and the SIl controllers are on the PCI not the PCIE bus the max transfer rate I can get is about MB sec When I ran HD Tune for Read I found some interesting things First when I am running a single SATA II drive the GB on the Intel controller it maxes out at about MB Sec But as the test progresses say after the first minute of testing the rate drops way down to about MB sec When I run the same test on the two old drives configured as RAID on the same controller the rate is more steady at or near MB Sec but there are frequent spikes downward to MB sec I have found that some of the spikes are due to my running Norton IS while the test is in progress Shutting down the IS does reduce the number of downward spikes but does not eliminate them If I try the single SATA drive on the SIl I get read rate of only MB sec and it also drops off as the test runs I understand that there is a burst feature built into the Intel and probably the SIl controller but that is good only for what it says bursts of data What I have concluded is that if I really want great disk transfer rate I am going to have to replace my mobo to one that has the RAID controller s on the PCIE bus At the same time upgrading the mobo would give me the capability of installing a multi-core processor more RAM etc Am I correct about it being a waste of money to buy another GB drive identical to the one I just installed and configure it for RAID on the Intel ICH R Also if someone could explain why the transfer rate drops off on the SATA configuration as the test runs Thanks for your help FW nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-performance-on-old-asus-mobo.138307/
Relevancy 25.8%

I currently (And for almost 2 years now) own an ATI Radeon HD2600XT 256mb DDR3, and Windows Experience Evaluation gives it 6,4 score in 3D rendering (Or Gaming Graphics).

What is your score? (Specify Video Card)

PS: My W7 install is in spanish so I'm not quite sure how the english translation really is, if you could enlight me I will change the topic.

A:Windows 7 Experience Evaluation 3D performance score

Well, this is strange, but I own an Nvidia GTX 260 core 216 SC edition which I OC'd to 720 Mhz core, 1193 Mhz VRAM, 1552 Mhz Shader clock, and I get the same score on W7 RC, ie. 6.4

I might be CPU bottle-necked though: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ (OC'd to 2.6GHz) - CPU score: 5.5

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-experience-evaluation-3d-performance-score.137832/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello -- I m about to PC new their affect -- performance processor about on Getting and questions be getting a new PC notebook as soon as I decide what I want I cannot get a new computer very often so it s important to me to spend a lot of time learning about the different specs before I choose what I want I ve done a good deal of reseach but I find forums are generally the only the place I can Getting new PC -- questions about processor and their affect on performance find answers that are really relevant to the information that I m looking for so I greatly appreciate any advice information suggestions ect that anyone has to offer I ve got my choices narrowed down to a Dell Studio a Dell Studio XPS an HP HDX t an HP dv t Quad Edition a Sony Vaio VGN-FW and a Sony Vaio VGN-AW I have some questions about the options that I m given for the processor First I d like to know how much the processor really affects performance I m going to be doing a lot of developing programming and graphics design as well as a decent amount of gaming as well as watching a lot of movies it will be p and have a drive capable of reading writing Blu-rays Of course I ll also be doing a lot of the standard internet surfing e-mail and word processing I m pretty sure I want a dual processor and not a quad and I ve been looking over the Core Duo options that come with some of these computers and I m curious -- the least expensive option that most of the computers I listed above give me is the Core Duo T with GHz MHz FSB and MB cache and the most expensive one offered is the Core Duo T with GHz MHz FSB and MB cache I don t really know what each of these specs mean or how much they affect performance and I d be glad to learn about that if anyone has the time but I m more concerned with the overall difference in performance between the two processors In comparing a processor like the T with one like the T how much of a difference would I really notice in the way my computer operates Also would I only notice this difference when gaming or working with graphics or other heavy applications or would the difference in performance be apparent with even simple tasks like internet browsing or just browsing around the computer in general I know this is a general question but I m only looking for a general answer -- I just want some idea of how much of a difference there is between these two processors and if it s significant enough that it s worth the extra four to six hundred dollars that it costs Price is not a particularly huge concern for me but it is definitely something to be considered for me nonetheless I know there is an E model I forget the exact number of Core Duo that has GHz or something like that even more than the T in other words but none of the computers that I ve narrowed my decision down to have that processor as an option So how difficult is it to upgrade to a better processor later on For example if I bought the cheapest one the T with the PC would it be difficult for me to switch it out for the E model processor the GHz one later on I m not sure if I d want to do this or not but I d like to know if it is a reasonable option Is there any reason I should consider a quad processor over a dual one Right now I am inclined to just go with a good dual processor but are there any reasons that I might want to go with a quad instead I ve done some research on this and from what I read there seem to be split opinions on which is better but I m comfortable with the Core Duo since I have it on this MacBook and it has been great as far as I know so I ve been leaning towards that but I just wanted to check Thank you very much for any help anyone can offer me with this -- it is very much appreciated nbsp

A:Getting new PC -- questions about processor and their affect on performance

First, I'd like to know how much the processor really affects performance.Click to expand...

The CPU speed / no. of cores greatly affect performance in case of heavy content creation. Most new games are being optimized to use processors having 2 or more cores.

I know there is an E model (I forget the exact number) of Core 2 Duo that has 3.16GHz or something like that (even more than the T9900 in other words), but none of the computers that I've narrowed my decision down to have that processor as an option.Click to expand...

The processor you're talking about is the E8500. However, that is not available for laptops as far as my knowledge goes. The E series Wolfdales are all desktop processors.
The T9900 is Intel's top Core 2 Duo offering for laptops. Next is the Core 2 Extreme series which features the QX9300 quad core. Fianlly come the Core i7 and Core i7 Extreme Edition.

Is there any reason I should consider a quad processor over a dual one.Click to expand...

As I mentioned earlier the quad core will have advantages in areas pertaining to content creation and applications that can make use of the multiple cores. But if there's a great price difference I'd stick with dual.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/getting-new-pc-questions-about-processor-and-their-affect-on-performance.136670/
Relevancy 26.23%

hi guys,
i have 430 dell dekstop with following spec:
proc:quad 8300 2.5 mhz
ram:4gb
video:ati 4850 hd 512 mb
mobo:dell's one
the problem i experience is that any 09' game i play performs slow even in minimum settings.when it starts,usually performance is good but within short time it starts rapidly decreasing.
i discussed this issue with couple of my friedns,who also own gaming desktop.fun thing is that their systems are even less powerfull.i mean those specs we refer to gaming performance.they say that most of 09' games are performed on max settings with high fps.i've also cheched it personally.
so any suggestions,what's really happening with my system?
P.S
i've decided to asseble new system by buying new motherboard(SLI/Crossfire support) and new ATX tower,both costed me 250$.

A:In-game performance issues

Sounds like some sort of memory leak, but its quite unusual that all the games you play would do this.

edit: Before going out and buying a bunch of hardware do a quick google search on the games your playing to see if they have memory leak issues. This is a software issue not a hardware issue, and no amount of hardware will fix a memory leak its up to the developer to patch this issue.
(developer thinking "release now fix later")

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/in-game-performance-issues.137235/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have a nvidia geforce 8400 gs & i am running win xp 32 bit. Will my video card perform better under windows 7 or any other OS . Does OS affect video card performance . I am new to computers please keep the reply simple.

A:Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS performance

OS would not improve your graphics performance.

however, newer or third-party drivers may improve performance slightly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-geforce-8400-gs-performance.137011/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi,

My old PC was { AMD X2 3800+ 2MB Cache, MSI K8N, 2GB DDR1, 7600GT, Windows XP SP2 32 Bit } and was able to run 2 copies of specific application with very good performance, after upgrading to { AMD Quad Core 940 8MB Cache, Asus M4A78 Pro, 4GB DDR2, 7600 GT ( same Video Card ), Windows 7 64 Bit } if i run 2 copies of that application the performance will drop.
Is that a hardware problem or OS problem ?
BTW, the application is World of WarCraft

Thanx.....

A:Less performance after upgrading

W7

There's probably not a version for Windows 7. So, yeah it still works with 2 instances open, but perfomance will go down.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/less-performance-after-upgrading.134352/
Relevancy 26.23%

So I m running on this fairly decent HP Pavilion dv with leads performance issue to Updating the Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset Family for graphics When I first got this thing it actually played games perfectly There was no lag and the graphics were wonderful Though one of the game i acquired didn t work so I tried a graphics update from HP The game didn t work But that s not important now ALL of my other games seem to lag The graphics card Updating leads to performance issue can t be physically broken because the desktop and simple applications and even one of my rhythm games don t lag but GTA Combat Arms PSO and WoW all seem to have received some performance issues SINCE the update I tried a system restore to way before I did the update and that didn t work I couldn t quot Roll back the driver quot because the device manager didn t know it updated and spending four hours on tech support didn t help TL DR Performance issue with games notably lag reduced frame rate after a graphics card update The person in tech support said that might be something in the background eating up Updating leads to performance issue memory But in any case what other information should I provide and what possible solutions can Updating leads to performance issue you give to solve this Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Updating leads to performance issue

What operating system is on this laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/updating-leads-to-performance-issue.133465/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi guys.

I had definitely decided on getting myself a Phenom II X4 940 BE the coming week. However today I noticed some gaming benchmarks in which the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 came out on top over the Phenom II 940.

By getting the Phenom will I be compromising on gaming performance? I'm buying the new processor as I don't get very playable frame rates in Crysis / Assassin's Creed with my XFX 9800 GT as I'm still using a Pentium 4 2.93 GHz.

Thanks.

A:Intel E8400 And AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE Gaming Performance

Either chip will do fine in gaming. The big question is what type of motherboard do you currently have? If it is one that supports the e8400, I would just go that route and save money. Otherwise you would have to buy a new motherboard to go with the phenom. The e8400 is also very overclockable, I have mine at 3.8ghz for 24/7 use, and my mb is what is holding it back. If you need to buy a new motherboard regardless, you can't go wrong either way. Most games today won't fully utilize more than 2 cores, but future games may use more cores. I would even suggest even looking at a q8400/q9400 if your motherboard supports them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-e8400-and-amd-phenom-ii-x4-940-be-gaming-performance.131910/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi guys These are fairly common questions and according to the pages I found with search these have been often partially answered I do some gaming and am finding that even though I recently upgraded my CPU from an Athlon to a Q things are still kind of slow Windows usage mainly I assume this is from New couple sata; drive questions jump - of to from performance ide harddrive bottlenecking I am currently using a RPM GB IDE hdd LOW bandwidth correct If I upgraded to a SATA gbit s bandwidth vs mbit s would my performance and speed improve a lot Should I keep the IDE for a secondary and use it for backup and the windows paging New drive - jump from ide to sata; couple of performance questions file etc or is it too damn slow I know that raid arrays are made of several sata s so I assume IDEs are incompatible My New drive - jump from ide to sata; couple of performance questions windows xp installation is an OEM pre-installed copy i have activated it twice already b c of other hardware changes Will I be able to seamlessly transfer the OS to my new sata hdd should I purchase it by simultaneously connecting them to my pc as other threads have suggested EDIT Oh I almost forgot will I require any special software I read in another thread someone tried to use Norton Ghost and had some problems One of the main problems is I m almost out of space as well Any answers would be of great help Thanks TheHighRoad nbsp

A:New drive - jump from ide to sata; couple of performance questions

Wow. Thanks for the quick, and in-depth answers!

Hard drives haven't gotten much faster. Sure, sequential throughput has increased substantially because of platter density increases (larger hard drives are generally faster at copying big, continuous files), but actual read/write performance has been fairly stagnant. Check out this example of a Western Digital 200GB ATA vs a WD SATA drive in this comparison .Click to expand...

So, I guess I expected with all the hype that performance has improved greatly... foiled again! At least I didn't waste any money !

There are many possible reasons, but generally speaking, your hard drive won't make a difference except on load times. Slow performance in this case is probably related to your video card or amount of RAM (memory). What kind of games are you playing that run slowly? What resolutions? What detail settings? These are all things that will have a direct (and huge) impact on performance. There could also be software problems, updates etc.. Which address your performance issues.Click to expand...

I (foolishly) expected having a quad core will improve the access times in windows significantly.

At this point my main performance concern was just dealing with windows and watching the hdd light do its thing for seemingly days, but I guess that's just the way it is (i.e. opening a folder with >600 files waiting for icons to load).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-drive-jump-from-ide-to-sata-couple-of-performance-questions.130728/
Relevancy 26.23%

About a few hours ago, i install the new beta 9.7 catalyst only thing its for xp and not vista. So come to find out, xp drivers suppose to work on vista , so i go to install them and what do you know, they work.

New CCC is enable too. The amazing thing, Xp performance is about 30% faster than vista. I am getting superior performance in every game i am playing now. So for now on, i plan to use xp drivers with vista 32bit. You guys may want to try it.

I couldn't record at 1280x1024 in warhead before using vista, now i can record at that resolution with ease. performance has double also.

A:XP drivers/performance is faster than Vista

vista is tooo slooooow!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-drivers-performance-is-faster-than-vista.130100/
Relevancy 25.8%

My PC specs:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200
Gigabyte S-Series G31M-ES2L motherboard
Asus EN900GT BP Video Card 512 DDR3 (NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT)
4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
and I have a 550watt powersupply, I was told when I startup that my graphics card has lower its performance etc to 'low' because of my PSU, now I'm wondering, what sort of PSU do I need? I was told to get a 550watt from a noob and ended up getting the wrong one.

Oh and I'm getting the PSU at this store, if anyone could recommend me which one I should get, thank you.
http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23385&p=group

A:Graphics card not performing high performance

did you plug the 6pin power plug into the video card? looks like this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-not-performing-high-performance.128319/
Relevancy 26.23%

Greetings!
On a network of only two machines (1 laptop and 1 desktop), both running XP Pro SPII and linked through an ADSL modem router, both machines have developed an irritating slow down in performance. The desktop acts as a server (in truth a file store) for both machines. An example of the problem is that if one user is typing into Word on one machine and another is typing into an email, both machines feel as if they have to wait for the other one before the next keystroke is accepted.
There are no reports of errors on either machine, network or otherwise. Both machines run Kaspersky IS 2009 and are new within the last 12 months.

Any ideas, anyone??

A:Network performance problems

Curiousity data point: In the example you gave, it sounds like the ISP connection has either no part or little part in the problem? Does this seem true?

Do you tend to have similar results whether the ISP cable is connected or not?
Have you tried running Process Explorer to get the real-time view of how your process time is being allocated? As well as i/o, etc. to try to determine the bottle necks by a rea;-time view/feedback
If bottleneck seems to be software/CPU one nice advantage of Process Explorer: you can find the correct symbol table from Microsoft for your build environment and load it. Then, if your problem appears to be a proccess and CPU issue, PE lets you drill down a further level: view the # of context switches between threads in a process. Has sometimes been enough to help me find the true culprit

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-performance-problems.122892/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello. As the title says, I have a very low-performing system, and I wanna know if there's a way to sped it up...This system used to have an Intel motherboard where I ran IAA, and I don't ever remember the computer being this slow...

The attached file contains a full Everest Report of the system's details. Thank you for your time.

A:Could you tell me why this system's performance is low?

Hello

If you are running windows Xp perform the following steps, Should help you increase performance on your computer..

Click Start and then Run and type regedit

Application Hung Timeout value
HKEY_CURRENT_USER-?Control Panel-?Desktop
HungAppTimeout 1000

Grace time before killing apps on shutdown
HKEY_CURRENT_USER-?Control Panel?Desktop
WaitToKillAppTimeout=1000

HKEY_USERS-?DEFAULT-?Control Panel-?Desktop
AutoEndTasks=1

WaitToKillAppTimeout=1000

HungAppTimeout = 1000

Speed up shutdown
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-?SYSTEM-?CurrentControlSet-?Control
WaitToKillServiceTimeout = 1000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-?SYSTEM-?CurrentControlSet-?Control-?Session Manager-?Memory Management-?DisablePagingExecutive
changed to 1

Delete the Contents of the Prefetch Folder in Microsoft Windows XP
1. Click Start and then Run, The Run Window appears
2. Type %Windir%\prefetch, and click OK
3. Click Edit then Select Select All
4. Right-Click the highlighted items, & click Delete. The folders contents are deleted

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-?SYSTEM-?CurrentControlSet-?Control-?Session Manager-?Memory Management-?DisablePagingExecutive
changed to 1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-you-tell-me-why-this-systems-performance-is-low.126904/
Relevancy 26.23%

I was going to add some extra RAM to my PC when all the sudden it crashed. So I let the professionals do the work, adding RAM and replacing my motherboard, but once I got the computer back it was slower than before... I can't play any PC games (Not even games from the 90's) And I can't play/watch flash animations/games or watch videos on YouTube without it lagging.
Do you guys possibly know what the problem is?
My new motherboard is an ASRock P4i65G - 2,66 GHz and I now have 2048 MB RAM
Thanks// Oddball

A:My computer performance has decreased

Please download and run HiJackThis: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe

Do a "System Scan and save a log file"
Save the log file to your Desktop, for easy access

Then create a New Reply to this thread, and using this button => on the Reply toolbar, upload and attach the scan log to a new reply

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-performance-has-decreased.127283/
Relevancy 26.23%

I haven't really done anything with computer hardware since I built the computer almost a year ago. I figure I might as well learn something about overclocking and do some if it won't be much of a problem for the computer. The most important parts are already in the specifications (aside from the 2gb of RAM, the PSU is an Antec Earthwatts Something or Other, 500w), but obviously ask if you need to know more. I have never had trouble with any parts overheating, either.

A:Should I bother increasing my computer's performance?

hey, snacks,
is there something you want to do that you cant now?, or do you just have the tweak bug?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-bother-increasing-my-computers-performance.126605/