Windows Support Forum

Change my default email program from Outlook to Hotmail

Q: Change my default email program from Outlook to Hotmail

When I respond to a "contact us" on a website or want my scanner to send the document by email, Outlook email is automatically chosen for the email program to send it. I don't use Outlook as an email program but use Hotmail or Yahoo for email. I have looked for a way to de-select Outlook and select Hotmail or Yahoo instead, and have not found where this can be done. Any suggestions out there on how this can be accomplished? TIA! Dick

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Change my default email program from Outlook to Hotmail

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Change my default email program from Outlook to Hotmail

I would think the easiest way would be via Start>Default Programs>Set your default programs.

You haven't said which version of Outlook you're using, but in Outlook 2010 you can change it under Options.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/179278-change-my-default-email-program-outlook-hotmail.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi,

Silly question. I had to reset my Google Chrome due to a malware check.

When I click on a "send email" link in Chrome, a new email pops up in my Gmail browser. However, I would like it to open a new email in MS Outlook 2010.

There must be a "set MS Outlook 2010" as default when clicking on email links in Chrome, but I can't seem to find it. I have already made Outlook the default program for email, but that didn't take care of the issue.

Thank you so much.

A:Default email program - change from Gmail in Chrome to MS Outlook 2010

Found it: chrome://settings/handlers and uncheck gmail.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/389351-default-email-program-change-gmail-chrome-ms-outlook-2010-a.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Gooday all. I see a similar situation in another post but thought I should start my own.
If I am on a site and for some reason it asks me to email someone, when I click on email, Outlook pops up. I have a Home & Student suite of MS applications and Outlook is only in trial version on this CD, so now no longer works. I have tried the fixes mentioned in another post here but it did not work for me. Any help appreciated. James

A:Default email program change.

What Email programme are you using now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/304848-default-email-program-change.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I can't find a way to change my default email program from being listed as Outlook. I use Yahoo primarily. For example, when looking at my pictures file in Library, I select one picture to be sent by email. It automatically brings up Outlook, which I don't use. I have looked at "Default Programs" and Yahoo does not appear as a selection to choose. How do I make the change? Thanks

A:Change default email program

I'm pretty sure you can't set it to default to web based email.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/38864-change-default-email-program.html
Relevancy 86%

can t change default email program from outlook express to my isp roadrunner webmail have gone through internet options programs where there is only choices-outlook express or hotmail which i want neither of them to be i need my default email program to be my roadrunner webmail i don t know how to answer the techical questions in outlook about incoming amp outgoing email servers anyway back to original problem how do i override the outlook express as my default email program my home page is fine showing the webmail login page for roadrunner even though this home page comment may not have anything to do with default email in case i did not tell you yet i have windows xp home sorry that i ramble on thanks for quick reply this on change winxp can't default email program is my st post so does the reply go to my email address to have instant access i lost webmail as default program when computer got virus amp time warner reinstalled windows xp and explorer

A:can't change default email program on winxp

As I understand you, you want your Roadrunner webmail page to come up whenever you click on an e-mail link? This is possible, but not by changing any XP settings.The only way I know how this can be done is through the use of the Mail2Webmail plugin in Firefox (if you use Internet Explorer or another browser, there may be an equivalent plugin or addon, but I don't know)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/235992/cant-change-default-email-program-on-winxp/
Relevancy 82.56%

Outlook does not appear in the program list when I try to set it as my default email program. I'm not interested in setting up a Windows Live account. All I want to do is be able to send emails from links in Internet Explorer 8. Whenever I try to do that, I get a message saying something about my email program is not properly installed. Now, I am using and have been using Outlook and it is properly installed as far as I can see. These are all MS programs, what gives?

A:Setting Outlook as default email program

Quote: Originally Posted by is14fun

Outlook does not appear in the program list when I try to set it as my default email program. I'm not interested in setting up a Windows Live account. All I want to do is be able to send emails from links in Internet Explorer 8. Whenever I try to do that, I get a message saying something about my email program is not properly installed. Now, I am using and have been using Outlook and it is properly installed as far as I can see. These are all MS programs, what gives?

First try using Microsoft Upgrade Advisor, to uncover any incompatibility issues that may be causing the problem. If none are discovered, try uninstalling and then installing again.
I would also check the email setting in your Anti Virus. Most Anti Virus appl. verify that incomming email does not contain a virus. This may be part of the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/44320-setting-outlook-default-email-program.html
Relevancy 82.56%

start>control panel>default programs

Chose default email program:

I go here and i wanna change to Microsoft Office outlok and I press ok.
When I open again it's back on use my curenty email program. So I can not change that.

And when i go to acrobat reader to sen a file it says like U don't have any default email program....

Thx in advance

A:Cannot set Outlook Express as default email program

When you select set default programs, click on Microsoft Office Outlook, and then click on choose defaults for this program, are any of the options selected? Specifically, look under protocols and see if MAILTO is checked.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/32999-cannot-set-outlook-express-default-email-program.html
Relevancy 82.56%

OK, when I open a folder of pictures, I select them, right click and choose SEND TO> MAIL RECIPIENT, it resizes the pics but I do not get a new email window popping up with the reduced pics attached. I'm pretty sure MS Outlook is configured as my default email program in the control panel so why isn't it working?

Relevancy 82.13%

Hi I have what I hope is a temporary change Outlook not email default Can in address 2003 Microsoft need to change my default quot from quot email address I Can not change default email address in Microsoft Outlook 2003 have changed it from say aaa to bbb using tools email change emailaddress and also rest the quot more settings reply email facility so replies go to my new email address too I have set the bbb as my default email account using tools email set as default Here is the Can not change default email address in Microsoft Outlook 2003 problem when I create quot new quot emails it correctly uses the new quot bbb quot email address as my from address All seems to be OK BUT IF I receive a reply to this email that I sent that was sent out with my bbb email address and THEN I try to REPLY to it - the reply email now shows at the top quot this email will be sent via aaa quot - rather than the bbb I want it too I hope I have explained it clearly - and you can see the frustration of the outloook programme It is as though outlook simply refuses to recognise the new default email account I have set up Frustrating to say the least - any technical help appreciated Cheers Mike nbsp

A:Can not change default email address in Microsoft Outlook 2003

By any chance do the bbb e-mail account settings in Outlook show your aaa address as a "Reply to" address? The entry can be found in "More settings ... -> General Tab" when the bbb account is open for editing.

I don't have any other suggestions other than that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-not-change-default-email-address-in-microsoft-outlook-2003.738977/
Relevancy 81.7%

I am running Windows Home Premium bit program email Windows Outlook make the default Cannot 7: I moved my MS Office XP Pro from my old XP Pro machine to my new computer using laplink PC Mover My MS Office is about years old and I can t find the discs All programs and the key moved and all programs work as before except I have manually associated Word with doc files and Excel with xls files No Office programs appear when I try to set the default Windows 7: Cannot make Outlook the default email program programs from the start menu and I cannot set Outlook as the default program for email contacts and calendar Without outlook set as the default I cannot sync my calendar with my iPhone using iTunes In Outllook gt Tools gt Options gt Other in the General block I have checked quot Make Outllook the default program for E-mail Contacts and Calendar After restart the other program Forte Agent still remains the email default In Forte Agent I have unchecked the block in the Default Program Settings quot Automatically reeestablish these defaut settings when starting Agent quot As in Vista there is no way to quot remove quot Agent as the default other than making another program the default In Windows Start gt Default Programs gt Associate a file type or protocol with a program the quot MAILTO quot protocol current program is Forte Agent When I click the quot Change program quot button Forte Agent is the only program listed and there is no button for other programs or browse I suspect I ll need to go into the registry applications and put in the Outlook exe location but I m not sure how do do that if that s the answer Registry is backed up and ready if that is the solution How can I make Outlook the default program for E-mail Contacts and Calendar I need Outlook as the default so my calendar will sync with my iPhone nbsp

Relevancy 80.84%

Hi,

I just got new computer with Vista 32-bit OS.

I use Outlook 2003 for my business email(I just use Outlook for sending/receiving email) and Windows Mail for my personal email. I sometimes send merged email to my customers using Word 2003 and Excel 2003. I made Outlook 2003 the default program so that I could send merged email through my account in Outlook. The computer did come with MS Office 2007, but I had to reinstall Vista because of a different issue -- now even if I make Outlook the default program, the email goes from my Windows mail account, not from Outlook.

Does anyone have any advice on how to correct this?

A:Solved: I want to make Outlook 2003 the default email program

Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, Default Programs, then Set your Default programs.

There you should get a list of installed programs, you can select the program you want to be the default.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-i-want-to-make-outlook-2003-the-default-email-program.837134/
Relevancy 77.4%

I just installed Window 7 professional in place of Windows 7 Ultimate RC to which I subscribed. I was not pleased to do a clean install as opposed to an upgrade and was not informed about it.

When I reinstalled Office 2007, my outlook does not work, although exchange on the web works. I get the following error message:

There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel 

A:There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel

Louis,This issue may occur if the Outlook registry key is corrupted. When other programs try to use the Outlook Simple MAPI interface, they cannot retrieve the required information from the registry.You must first remove the corrupted Outlook registry key, and then perform a Detect and Repair operation to have Outlook rebuild the key. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
In Registry Editor, locate the following subkey in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook
Select the subkey, and then press DELETE.
Click Yes.
Quit Registry Editor.
Start Outlook.
On the Help menu, click Office Diagnostics.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the repair.

Important: Above section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.Hope above information helps.

Pooja Katiyar

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/036e3cf6-bff7-4ef2-bd0a-555cd2399ad4/there-is-no-email-program-associated-to-perform-the-requested-action-please-install-an-email?forum=w7itproappcompat
Relevancy 73.96%

I use T-Bird (v 31.7.0) On 2 occasions now, I have sent emails, with Attachments, to a friend in the UK, who is running HOTMAIL.On each occasion the Attachment is OK, but the message I sent with ti increases it?s Font size, line by line, until it is unreadable. Two 3 or 4 characters per line??and sections of the email are repeated. 4 or 5 lines, then back to the top.They are blaming me for a Virus?..but I am thinking the problem is their end, with a stuck key, or similar. Any ideas ?

A:thunderbird email change font size in hotmail email client

I don't know what is causing this but pretty sure "what it isn't".1. It is not the usual behaviour of a virus.2. It is not a stuck key their end. Keys don't come into the equation for received emails.Try sending an attachment to yourself and some other contact who will co-operate. That way you should be able to narrow down which end is responisible for the problem.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/security/thunderbird-email-change-font-size-in-hotmail-email-client/40085.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I have IE8, Windows Vista and Windows Mail, which shows as my default mail and only email address.
I would like to have my Hotmail address as my default mail, but Windows Mail will not allow me to add Hotmail. Wizard error says it does not support HTTP and I cannot see anywhere under Hotmail options/more options where it allows me to change any type of connections to POP3.
I read it can be done in G-Mail, but unfortunately I have Hotmail.

Is downloading "Windows Live" and uninstalling my "Windows Mail" a solution?
I have all my mail forwarded to Hotmail, so I wouldn't lose saved messages.
Thanks for any help.

A:Change default mail address to Hotmail

You don't need to (nor would it be would it be wise) to remove windows mail, just stop using it. If you use Windows Live mail which you can download from Essentials - Windows Live you will be able to setup your hotmail account straight away once it is installed.

If you have any questions just ask.

Oli

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/274083-change-default-mail-address-hotmail.html
Relevancy 71.81%

My wife has always used Hotmail as her default email so to open it she would click on the Windows Live Messenger icon Inbox and then her mail live com page would open with her emails She was having trouble sending pictures from Picasa because it wasn't associated with an email account so since I had already set up Windows Live Mail for her she doesn't use I told Picasa to use it but have since set email Hotmail default my Making up a gmail account for her to use with Picasa Anyway by having Picasa use Windows Live Mail briefly it is now her default email client so whenever she clicks on the Windows Live Messenger icon Making Hotmail my default email and Inbox it opens WLM If I go to quot Set your Default Programs quot Hotmail is not listed and if I go to quot Associate a file type or Protocol with a specific program quot and quot Mail Service quot mapimail it says quot unknown Application quot and Hotmail isn't listed among any of the Making Hotmail my default email programs How do I make Hotmail as the default email client again Thanks

A:Making Hotmail my default email

Quote: Originally Posted by mccoady

...and Hotmail isn't listed among any of the programs....How do I make Hotmail as the default email client again?...

That's because Hotmail is a website you access via a browser, not a program. There is a real program (email client) that can access Hotmail...Windows Live Mail. You would download and install "Windows Live Essentials" from Microsoft, selecting the components you want, one of which is called "Mail". It can be used to get email from http accounts (like Hotmail) and also pop3 and imap accounts used by many other email service providers. It can also access newsgroups which use nntp.

IIRC, there was a special tool that allowed a browser to behave as a Hotmail "default program" in Vista but it may not work in Win 7. Do a google search for "hotmail as default email" to see what is available.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/134374-making-hotmail-my-default-email.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Im sick of windows 7 trying to open Windows Live Mail... I hate that resource hungry application and choose to use hotmail directly in the browser... but how to I set hotmail to be default email? im always logged in to hotmail on chrome, there are ways to set it for Vista using an application but it wont run on windows 7
any advice would be great

thanks in advance

A:How do I.. Make HOTMAIL default email in windows 7?

Maybe I am not understanding your problem. Why would Windows Live Mail open unless you click on it or you have it in your Start folder?. If you have your Hot Mail account in Windows Live Mail it can be deleted without affecting your account on line.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-make-hotmail-default-email-in-windows-7.1019149/
Relevancy 70.09%

I searched the site for a while and couldn't find an answer.... so I decided to post my question... sorry if this has been asked before.

Somehow every .IFO file on my computer (using XP) has been set to open with notepad as the default.... these files were from movies I've backed up to my computer, and when I burn the movies to a disc they burn properly, but then they won't read correctly when played on the dvd player. At first I thought it was just the type of discs I was using.. but later realized that the problem never occurred before I noticed all the .IFO files as default set to open with notepad.

What I need to know is how to set the properties of my .IFO files to read as Unknown application instead of Notepad.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help.

Relevancy 69.66%

I have read numerous posts on this and none have worked for me. I tried downloading the program registering hotmail as default from winhelponline but it says it only works for Vista. I tried to set it as a default program in Windows 7, but it was not listed as an option. So I am stuck. Can this be done and if so, please advise. Thank you in advance for your help.

A:How do I make Hotmail(mail.live.com)default email in Windows 7 64-bit

Hi Teddy Terrific, you need to install Windows Live Mail. Windows Live Essentials - Download free Microsoft programs

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/207928-how-do-i-make-hotmail-mail-live-com-default-email-windows-7-64-bit.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I searched the site for a while and couldn't find an answer.... so I decided to post my question... sorry if this has been asked before.

Somehow every .dat file on my computer (using win 7) has been set to open with notepad as the default.... these files were from gta 4. At first I didnt noticed..but when a started the game it crashed.. but later realized that the problem never occurred before I noticed all the .dat files as default set to open with notepad.

What I need to know is how to set the properties of my .dat files to read as Unknown application instead of Notepad.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help.

Relevancy 68.8%

I am having the same problem from here:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/296297-change-program-default-unknown-program.html

But now 10 years later on windows 8.1 hahahah

can someone help me?

Tks

A:Change program default to Unknown Program???

which are the files types that are not correct ?
you change the file association on windows 8 via control panel
have a read here
http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-change-file-associations-144102

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-program-default-to-unknown-program.1125677/
Relevancy 68.37%

someone got into my hotmail account reciently and changed my password allowing them to also set a secondary email address for resetting my password. i now have my email address back and im wondering how i can change the secondary email address. ive tried changing the password and the secret question and answer and neither have asked me about setting a new secondary email address.

A:how do i change my secondary email address on hotmail?

You could always sign up for a completely new email address as its free.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-change-my-secondary-email-address-on-hotmail.51245/
Relevancy 67.94%

Im looking for a email program that i can use my hotmail account with. The thing is that with outlook i cant custimize the sound it makes when u get new mail. I would like to do that, ive traide Pocomail but for some reason it isnt working. And thunderbird just dosnt work with hotmail

Thanks

A:looking for a good EMail program i can use hotmail with

Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices->Sounds->New Mail Notification

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-a-good-email-program-i-can-use-hotmail-with.28443/
Relevancy 67.51%

How do I add my Hotmail account as the default mail account on Windows Outlook 2000.
I have scanned Windows support and all I can find is the download for the MSN.com browser which really defeats the purpose for what I have been looking for.
Does anyone know if there is a patch or add in?
Is there a simple way to convert outlook to support HTTP like outlook express can?
I look forward to your thoughts.
Cheers for now, Stew.

A:Making Hotmail your default Mail on Outlook 2000

Hi Stew

I had the same setup for my Yahoo email until they started charging for the service

You need to add your hotmail account as a POP 3 account.

I havent done it for a bit so I'm a bit rusty. A quick Google search found me this useful link (pics too):

http://pop3.reference.directnic.com/outlook2000.html

The only fairly tricky part I remember was when you get to the pop and smtp part. I think it should be pop.hotmail.com and smtp.hotmail.com but I can't be sure! I'm sure someone else will know for sure.

Remember,all messages are pulled down from hotmail into Outlook so if you login on the web your inbox will be empty.

Good luck and I hope that link explains it all.

Regards

Pileyrei

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/making-hotmail-your-default-mail-on-outlook-2000.234885/
Relevancy 67.51%

I only used web based email, either Yahoo or HM. I have Office 2010 on my PC, that includes Outlook.

Some mailto links I click on launching Outlook or Windows Live Mail clients- how can I avoid this?

A:Change default email

Take a look at this and see if it will do what you want.

How can I make Yahoo! Mail my default email application? | Yahoo! Mail Help

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/231987-change-default-email.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Trouble getting new email address (hotmail.com) recognized as default email. Tried all methods posted on forums: tools option and control panel. Control panel default settings will not allow option to disable Windows Mail. (grayed out). RegisterHotmail software says only Vista but I am using Vista.

Also cannot open old email program (Windows Mail) : getting error message MSOE.DLL 0x8007002: Checked and followed all advice on forums. Have also stopped virus software from scanning emails.

A:Can't change default email

Welcome

Unistall with this then download and use Windows Live Mail

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems

Always make a system restore point first.

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/275142-cant-change-default-email.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Is it possible for me to change my default email? I only use Gmail, but when I try to attach anything, such as a snip, it says I must use "Outlook" even tho I've never used it. HELP!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-email-change.1157099/
Relevancy 67.51%

Is it possible for me to change my default email? I only use Gmail, but when I try to attach anything, such as a snip, it says I must use "Outlook" even tho I've never used it. HELP!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-email.1157106/
Relevancy 67.08%

I am trying to set my default programs in windows 10 but it is having none of it. It just sticks on the grey square with "Choose a default". If I reset it goes back to edge, I then try and click Chrome and it is still edge. If I refresh the page it is back to the "Choose a default". Never had this before and can't find much online about it?
See http://imgur.com/XIffng5

A:Default Program won't change?

Try the old-fashioned way...............

Right click at Start button > Control Panel > top right, click View by: > select either large or small > Default Programs > Set your default programs > wait for loading > left side, scroll to Chrome > click it > right side, click set this program as default > click OK

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/44450-default-program-wont-change.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I want to transfer video using Pinnacle, but the software isn't in the list of default programs. How can I get it to show up there? This has to be an easy question, right?

A:Default program--how to change

Hello Bling

You can set default programs one of two ways

Through the defaults list or through right click

1. Find the item you want to change the default program for

2. Right click on the item and select "Open With"

3. On the bottom left check "Always Use The Selected Program To Open This Kind Of File"

4. Either select a program from the list or select browse

5. When you have selected the program you want select "OK"

This should now be the default program that opens that item, This works for files, images, videos, video converters and audio converters :)

Regards

Craig

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/default-program-how-to-change-274464.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Lately my computer won't open pictures to view with Windows Photo Viewer.

I've already read several threads on this and have tried the customary links that are supposed to do this.

When I go the the "Chooses default program" on the preview link, it stays frozen on Microsoft Picture Manager whenever I try to change it.

I've been able to open with Internet Explorer, but I would like to go back to opening files with Windows Photo Viewer. I believe that this does not need to be installed as it is already a Windows feature. (7)

Any help and ideas beyond what I have already tried are greatly appreciated.

BTW........LOVE this site!

Relevancy 66.65%

I need to change the default Windows Mail to AOL mail in Vista. In IE I have went to "Tools>Options>Programs>Set Programs Button>Set Default Programs." I then went to custom programs and unchecked the box for "enable this program"besides Windows Mail. Nothing works. On the default programs page AOL is not listed. The problem is that Windows must have a default e-mail program designated and AOL Mail doesn't know how to register itself with the operating system (Vista) so that it can become the default.
Hope someone can help me.
FyrmnJ
Thanks

"Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.?

A:Change default email in Vista

have same problem with friends machine. i cannot choose aol in the custom program under setup default programs because aol is not listed.
how do i get windows vista to recognize the existance of aol mail?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/change-default-email-in-vista-312525.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I wasn't aware that I had used an email to get the Windows 8 started but I guess I did. I closed that account and am not able to access it. However, if I want to get into the store, etc. It tells me to log in with that email address. It will not let me change the address in the login screen. How to do I change in on the computer? Where is that setting?

A:Change Windows 8 default Email

It has to be a Microsoft account. It merges in with your Skydrive account. Deleting the account is a very bad idea, because windows 8 almost exclusively runs from that account. So if that account no longer exists, and your computer is set up to connect to it, well that becomes a huge problem, because there is constant interplay between your Windows 8 and your Microsoft/Skydrive account when you are online.

You can switch to a Local Account, and from there you can set up a new Microsoft account. Or, you can leave it a Local account and this will be for the whole computer, and you can use another Microsoft account for your Store Account. Deleting a Microsoft account for any reason, is just not good, especially now, because they will all now be "Outlook.com" accounts. Mine is still linked to my original email address because I set it up almost 20 years ago.

To change to a local user, go to PC SETTINGS and choose Local Account

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/27067-change-windows-8-default-email.html
Relevancy 66.65%

How do I change from Outlook to the normal Hotmail?

A:How do I change from Outlook to the normal Hotmail?

Quote: Originally Posted by Ali365

How do I change from Outlook to the normal Hotmail?

what do you mean by change? please explain

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/269416-how-do-i-change-outlook-normal-hotmail.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi guys, I'm in a new IT job for a computer lab and I'm picking up skills for maintaining it as I go along.

I need to change the default program for a filetype on all machines in the lab. If I just log on as admin and change it under my account, the change doesn't persist for the non-admin users.

I was thinking of maybe writing a script that will change the file association for all users but am not sure how to go about this.

Can anyone offer direction or help? Google turned up some old threads that weren't very helpful.

A:Change default program through script

Open a Command Prompt and enter ftype /?. It will show you how to use the ASSOC and FTYPE commands to do what you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/111231-change-default-program-through-script.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have a PC at work running XP with Office 97. I think it somehow got changed for Paint program to be the default. First noticed when trying to open a Word document in email. It gives an error that Paint can't open the file. Then I went to My Documents and it does the same thing. If I open a word document under Word program it opens fine. I don't know where to change this though. Any help would be appreciated.

A:Solved: Where do you change program default

Find any Word document
Right click on any Word Document
Press 'Open With'
Select Word and click 'Always use the selected file to open this kind of file'
Press 'OK'
Close out the Word document

Try it now. Should open in Word.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-where-do-you-change-program-default.352943/
Relevancy 66.22%

I noticed that you can only set the default program for FTP to a browser.

I've created an FTP share in Explorer, and it would be useful to be able to click on a video file and directly play it with e.g. VLC instead of a browser.

Would this be possible? Thanks in advance.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/19671-change-default-program-non-browser-ftp.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I can't change the default program extensions such as avi files and mp3 files. When i click change default application i get "this program is not a valid Win32 application." I recently had a virus but I'm pretty sure I got rid of it as I got help in the virus forum.

Relevancy 66.22%

I want to use an old program that I have been using, to open all the graphics and pictures I want to see. Somehow I reset to QT. BUT that program I like so much(MGI) does not show in DEFAULT PROGRAMS nor is there a BROWSE button there. How can I get it reset back to MGI??
Thank you for any help!!!
Carla

A:Want to change Default graphic program.

Right click (a)ny file (type) that you want to open. Select "Open With" Select "Choose Default Program"

If your preferred program is not listed, select Browse.

Can you take it from there?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/79796-want-change-default-graphic-program.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I need .html files when I click them in explorer to open in Firefox. Win7 64bit.

If I turn on "check to make sure firefox is default browser" it will check and ask and I can set it. Problem solved.

But I need to make firefox open with "-profile whatever" when I double click a .html file in explorer. How can I modify the firefox association/program/whatever to append the profile on the command line. I have no idea where to do this.

Thanks.

A:Change default program for .html

Navigate to Start>Control Panel>Default Programs>Set Associations.

Default Programs - Associate a File Type or Protocol

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/201080-change-default-program.html
Relevancy 66.22%

How do I make Microsoft Outlook the default email program? I make the change in IE version 5, but when I reboot the system (Win 98), Outlook Express is once again selected as the default email program.

I read in a previous post about using the following sequence for making Outlook Express the default. Is there anything similar for Microsoft Outlook? :
------------------------------------------------------
To make Outlook Express your default e-mail client:
Close OE, click Start/Run and enter this command line, complete with quotes, spaces and the /reg switch:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg
---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks very much,
Dan

Relevancy 66.22%

Hi. I clicked on my rarely used netscape navagater icon and a small window popped up and asked if I wanted to make ns's email program my default program. I clicked yes instead of no by mistake. How do I undo this?
Thanks much. OS Windows 98SE.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-email-program.327708/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi,

I just bought a new dell laptop which has the OS Windows 7 allready installed on the hard-drive.

Anyway I would like to change the defualt email from Outlook to Yahoo.mail. I have followed all instructions on both Windows 7 tutorials and yahoo tutorials but I have not been successful.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated

A:Unable to change default email to yahoo

hey Edk welcome to the forums, did you go into the internet options on the tools section of internet explorer and change the email settings in there?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/32649-unable-change-default-email-yahoo.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi,

I'm probably just wasting your time but I have to ask.........

Is there any way to change the default email client on Win7 to a web based email client such as Yahoo or my ISP's email client even? I'd prefer Yahoo since that is the one I need to succeed with an experiment I am trying to achieve results from.

I have searched the web over and found replies that range from installing the Yahoo toolbar to installing Yahoo Messenger to many threads that state it is not possible with a web based email.

If I remember correctly, I once achieved this on my Vista. Yahoo actually displayed in the set windows default programs options. Was I imagining that?

Donna

A:Change default email client on Win7

See if this helps,
http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/269402-making-webmail-account-my-default-email-client.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/290330-change-default-email-client-win7.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Quickly - cannot find any option to change the original secuirty question (e.g. mothers maiden name/street you grew up on or whatever) - where is it?????????

Long version - wife has had a hotmail account for many many years. Was hotmail now outlook.com.

It has been hacked in the past. Have beefed up password.  Latest was today.

many emails sent out to people in contacts list.  Unclear if todays was just spoofing, or a true access to the account (nothing in sent box)

Have changed password once more, and now want to change the security question.

Have tried all kinds of searches and cannot find out if you can even change it.

Lots of old posts refer to the old hotmail set up - which no longer exists.

Any help appreicated
[besides the obvious open a gmail account, she wont go for that ;)]

thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546103/hotmailoutlook-how-do-you-change-security-question/
Relevancy 65.79%

TrendMicro Titanium Maximum Security 3 user
( Tried their on line chat dropped 3 times different days, Agh )

Wants to install directly to SSD C: drive,
want to install on 1TB HD ( Partioned to D: E: F want on D: with all other programs.

Does not offer an option to install anywhere, just default install on SSD,

Win 7pro 64 bit, Kingston 64 GB SSD V-100 , Hitachi 1Tb 7200RPM

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

A:Change default program Install path

In the FAQ pdf it says you can change the install drive if it's not an external drive, but it still has to be under Program Files. I take it if you want it to be on D: and don't have a Program Files under D: you have to make one.

If you search using this string you should get a link to the pdf

TrendMicro Titanium Maximum Security 3 install path

I can't figure out how to get a link to the page with the pdf and not a direct link so I'm just doing it this way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/189478-change-default-program-install-path.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all This friday i plan to do a clean install of Windows because im running the RC right now but bought the Retail version Im going to plan out my partitions so that i have one pertition for the OS and Change Files Program location? default another for my personal files and Program Files So i just wanted to know how would i change the location from my C partition of the program files to lets say the D drive other partition Am i supposed to do it manually by cutting the folder and pasting it and whenever i install a program i change the directory or is there an automatic way like changing a registry value Look forward to your answers Thanks edit after further research it looks like u can change a reg value but it may cause problems with some Microsoft software What do most of you Change Program Files default location? people here do cause i've read that some people here have separate drives for program files

A:Change Program Files default location?

The program files are a part of the OS .. I see no reason to put them in another partition.
A different partition for your personal data is a good idea if you plan on having a lot of data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/56889-change-program-files-default-location.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I have a problem to where I accidently changed what opened the .fsh files to be opend by the cmd.exe (Command Prompt) and i can't change it back. (It used to be opened by Windows Shell common dll)

View image: Capture

A:Cant Change Default Program opener for .fsh files

If you have a Restore Point from just before the change, that should change it back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/326910-cant-change-default-program-opener-fsh-files.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all, with help from the team here i have now got rid of Libraries once and for all, thanks.

Now i have found a far better Explorer program, that i want to use all the time, so sometimes when i click on some things, UP POPS the original Windows Explorer program which i dont want.

It is probably common knowledge that it IS easy to change the Default Browser program and/or the Default Email Program, is it possible to change the Default Explorer program ?, please.

the Program i am using is called XYplorer and i can thoroughly recomend it, particularly if i know how to change it to the default.

tim

A:how can i change Win7 default Explorer program to .....

Did you try in "Set default programs" (second to the last entry).

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/68212-how-can-i-change-win7-default-explorer-program.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I have chosen notepad as default program for .dat file, what can I do to set it to open with "unknown application" like I never open it before?
Step by Step guide is most appreciated =) im using windows 8

A:How to change default program to unknown application?

Hello Yuki, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you like, you could download and merge the .reg file for the listed .dat option in the table of the tutorial below to restore it's default associations.

Default File Associations - Restore in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/31383-how-change-default-program-unknown-application.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I installed windows 7 on my SSD. Besides a few games, I want all other program installs to go to my HDD. For instance, my internet security and all driver/utilities that are on CD's that came with the hardware. These programs/drivers/utilities do not give me any option to install to my HDD (E drive) and automatically install to my C drive. Is there any way I can do what I want?

Thanks.

A:How to change default installations of any program to another drive?

.you will run into registry issue/trouble, this very long topic i check if there is how-to on this forum but suffice to say it not as easy as ctrl-c && ctrl-v a folder to new location and make shortcut :[ i wish it were trust nobodyspecial :[ i sorry i no add anything useful to this answer but a warning to the person asking but it may save you headache

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/324607-how-change-default-installations-any-program-another-drive.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I need to change the default in my epson printer program. The present default is photo paper and landscape mode. I need to change it to plain paper and portrait mode. Can anyone help me with that?
Barney

A:Change Default in Epson Print Program

You do it via printing preferences when you are setting it up prior to pressing print ....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-in-epson-print-program.329174/
Relevancy 65.79%

Whenever I plug a photo card in to my PC, the new Photo Viewer program is launched (which doesn't find the card but that doesn't matter as I don't want to use that program anyway). How can I change the default import program to one of my choice (Lightroom).
I can of course shut it down, load Lightroom and then select the card but I always have to go through the process of first shutting down the program that loads automatically. If anything is going to load automatically I would rather pick my own!

A:Change default photo import program

There are two stages to this:

1. Change your default program for photos to Lightroom.
2. Choose what happens when you insert media.

For 1 you need to go to Settings -> System -> Default Apps and on the Photos icon choose your default program as Lightroom

For 2 you need to go Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Autoplay and Choose what happens when you insert each type of media.

Make sure that for Camera memory cards - import photos and videos is selected.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/41658-change-default-photo-import-program.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi this is the problem I am facing. I upgraded for windows 10 few months ago. The problem is when I set an app for default for a file the old icon is only showing. it never changes. For an example if I choose to set VLC media player as default for an Mp4 file which presently opened by windows movie player even if I change it to VLC it will again show the Windows movie app icon instead of VLC. This is a big problem for. I need response asap. The only solution I know is I need to restart explorer. But in windows 8.1 It was all Ok. I have rebuilt the icon cache also. It did not work. So I need a solution. THANKS

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/440007-why-my-icons-showing-old-ones-even-if-i-change-default-program.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey, new here.  I really need help with hotmail.  Almost every time I open an email message, in any folder, I also get a smaller pop-up window showing the same email on top of it.  How do I get rid of this?  Started happening after Outlook's latest update, I think.  MSN staff online-chats didn't help, and couldn't find any info on it in hotmail settings.  I have Windows 7 desktop at home, and use Windows XP desktop at work, both of which I check my emails on.  

A:Having a problem with MSN Outlook (hotmail) email

Maybe preview pane?On the View tab, in the Layout group, click Reading Pane, and then click Right, Bottom, or Off.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616193/having-a-problem-with-msn-outlook-hotmail-email/
Relevancy 65.79%

Have new laptop OS win8.1

Am able to start using password ???.Hotmail.com but cannot access mail. Each time I try with the mail app I get a full screen just showing the mail envelope.

When trying to add a/c I am informed that already exists obviously!

My desktop with Win7-64 hasn't any problems.

Assistance appreciated.

Rgds.

A:Unable to log into Outlook/Hotmail email a/c

Further: I am able to open/log in to my email a/c - [Removed by Admin] - so my wife's laptop must me set up for email.

I have checked her laptop and she definitely has an Outlook a/c. Why is she unable to access this?

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/59144-unable-log-into-outlook-hotmail-email-c.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I am trying to find a way to use outlook to check my hotmail account. I have Outlook 2000. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

A:Receiving hotmail email in outlook

As far as I am aware, you cannot easily use Oulook 2000 for hotmail.

Outlook 2002 perhaps, or Outlook Express will apparently work, but not Outlook 2000.

There is a workaround, which seems to have disappeared from the MS site, however a cached copy is attached below:

CAUSE
Outlook does not support the integration of Hotmail e-mail accounts.

RESOLUTION
You can view your Hotmail e-mail in Outlook by creating a Hotmail folder and then associating a Web view of that folder that points to the Hotmail Web site.

NOTE: The technique outlined in the steps below can be used to view messages from any Web-based e-mail provider, including Yahoo, Lycos, Excite and others.

Creating a Hotmail Folder

On the View menu, click Folder List to turn on the Folder List.
Right-click Outlook Today, and then click New Folder. Name the folder Hotmail and then click OK. Your Folder List should now include a Hotmail mail items folder.

Associating the Hotmail Folder with the Hotmail Web Site
In the Folder List, right-click the Hotmail folder, and then click Properties.

On the Home Page tab, type http://www.hotmail.com in the Address box.

Click to select Show home page by default for this folder, and then click OK.
Now when you click the Hotmail folder in your folder list, you will see the option to log on to your account. You can add a Hotmail folder shortcut to your Outlook Bar by dragging the Hotmail folder to the Outlook Bar.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/receiving-hotmail-email-in-outlook.157867/
Relevancy 65.36%

I know with Vista there was Windows Mail or whatever it was, and with 7 they removed that.

Let me state this very clearly. I DO NOT WANT THAT PROGRAM.

I have Hotmail, I would like to KEEP that. The problem is, when I go to click a link that would open up email, I get an error saying I do not have an email program and to please get one.

Is there a way to set it back so that when I click on an email link it opens IE and directs me to Hotmail??

Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes...

A:Making IE default email program again?

I don't think so as it looking for a default email client not a web mail site...

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/47405-making-ie-default-email-program-again.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Is it possible to setup the default email program in IE to use webmail (yahoo, hotmail, gmail) specifically yahoo mail?
My step dad is having problems emailing with Outlook Express and certain programs (Quickbooks, Kodak easyshare, etc) and wants to use yahoo instead. I've never used OE so I can't really help him.

A:Webmail as default email program?

This should walk him through it. http://email.about.com/od/yahoomailt...fault_mail.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/webmail-as-default-email-program-146077.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Been trying everything, including control panel, internet options, but don't see gmail as an option. ???????????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-change-default-email-in-windows-xp-home.956017/
Relevancy 65.36%

I installed Office 2000. I use Incredimail as my email program. After I installed the Office suite it changed my ability to use and reset my email program as the default.
It says that I must have administrative privledges to do so. I am logged in as the administrator.
Any ideas how to get this changed?
Thanks

A:Office 2000 - Installed now cant change my default email

You can TRY this:
Open internet explorer and go to Tools-Internet options, Programs tab.
Make sure your email program is in there.

But you didn't tell us WHERE you were trying to set the default...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/office-2000-installed-now-cant-change-my-default-email.269311/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello,

I cannot remove my Windows Live email account so whenever I want to send email, I had to click on the "Gmail" tab first then compose email and I don't want this because it's somehow not efficient.

I use the default Windows 8.1 Mail client but I never used my Windows Live account.

Is there any ways to remove Windows Live email or at least make Gmail as the default email address on Windows Mail?

Thank you.

A:Change default email to Gmail on Windows Mail.

What email client are you using or are you using the email app?

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/38175-change-default-email-gmail-windows-mail.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello Out There --

Can someone please help me with this problem? I need to change the default email client in Windows 8 to Gmail in Chrome.

I thought that this would be an easy fix, but I have searched the Web, searched the forums, and cannot find anywhere that it tells me how to do this.

Besides the fact that I want all of my MAILTO links to use my Web based Gmail account, I need it to do so to make it work with OneNote.

In OneNote, when I try to send someone a page, it gives me an error message about Microsoft Outlook not being started or set up, and says to change it in Default Programs. I tried doing this, but my MAILTO links are all set to Google Chrome, which seems like it would work.

If anyone can help me, I would be truly grateful. Thank you for your kind consideration of my issue.

​~Antonio

A:How to change default email client to Gmail in Chrome

I use this extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...gejhaepeopajdf

Gmail notifier also does the job:

Gmail Notifier

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/49289-how-change-default-email-client-gmail-chrome.html
Relevancy 64.93%

After the update of Windows 10 yesterday and noticed that all my PDF files open with Microsoft Edge not Adobe Reader? I would like to know how to change the PDF set up in default with Adobe not Microsoft Edge? All I see all the PDF files with the icon, Microsoft Edge on it.

John

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/58617-how-do-i-change-default-pdf-program-microsoft-edge-adobe.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have made a very large error. I was trying to open a python file that is saved as a .dll and I left the Always use this program check box checked. Now, I am trying to make it where there is no default program or any program to open this file because there are many types of .dll. I have tried deleting the extension and unassociating it. How do I get whre there is no default program that opens any .dll extension.

A:Change the default program that opens .dll extension files?

Uninstall Python. That should dis-associate it from .dll. Then reinstall.

I've been alternating between zipped programs and installers. This played havoc with program associations. Uninstalling worked.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/285898-change-default-program-opens-dll-extension-files.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi I'm desperately trying to change the sidebar gadget to open websites by default with Mozilla Firefox in particular the quot Ask LEO quot gadget Firefox is my default browser If I double-click on a url file saved on my system it correctly opens Firefox and so does clicking a link in MS Outlook Again Firefox is default but that's not my problem Somewhere I found the advice to change the quot Set program access and computer defaults quot settings So I program change to Unable default settings access tried but every time I change something there it doesn't keep the setting I click on Custom gt Default Web Browser gt Mozilla Firefox click OK get Unable to change default program access settings some flashing on desktop but next time I get there it's set back to quot Use current browser quot again Anyone got the same Unable to change default program access settings problem I'm using the x build but a friend of mine tried the same on the final build x and he got the same problem It's reverting all the time Re-installed Firefox restarted changed tried reset everything I can imagine Please help Greetings Christian Edit It seems the problem is a Javascript-call quot window open quot in the quot Ask LEO quot gadget Someone knows why this call opens IE and every other call doesn't And is there a workaround Edit With a dirty hack I solved the problem Edited the gadget and replaced quot window open quot by quot System Shell execute quot Still - I'd like to know why a I can't Unable to change default program access settings change the default programs setting and b why window open ignores my default browser configuration

A:Unable to change default program access settings

Bagstone, you need to turn of UAC in the user accounts section...then you will be able to change the access settings...

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/23446-unable-change-default-program-access-settings.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I looked on the page where it helped fix the default program, but it had none, help?

A:Trying to change default program to open .yml files, did not find help

Also, I accidentally used IE to open it (Clicked on accident) and I can't figure out. I use a Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289401-trying-change-default-program-open-yml-files-did-not-find-help.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I am taking an online class for school and the lectures are located in powerpoint links that download when i click them. When I first opened them I got the "windows cannot open the file" notification and i realized it is because i do not have powerpoint. So, for whatever reason I tried to open it with notepad and did not realize the "always open files with this program" box was checked and now every time I try and open the file it goes straight to notepad. I downloaded powerpoint viewer so I can try and open them correctly, but now i can't figure out how to change the opening program

A:How to change default download opening program from notepad to ppt.

Welcome to the forum,

This should help you get that changed,

Open With - Change Default Program

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/398229-how-change-default-download-opening-program-notepad-ppt.html
Relevancy 64.93%

H all, Need some help please, I attempted to make hotmail my email default service instead of outlook express but when I press the short cut key on my key-board to open up my email, it opens yahoo instead --- dont have a clue why or how to make hotmail my service email, any ideas. cheers
Tommo61

A:want hotmail as email provider and not outlook express

Try this

In the search box just above the Start button type
Default programs

It should be at the top of the list, select it

Click ?Set your default programs?
You can change the defaults for everything here

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/want-hotmail-as-email-provider-and-not-outlook-express-217127.html
Relevancy 64.5%

http://www.howtogeek.com/136968/how-to-change-or-disable-the-default-sent-from-windows-mail-email-signature/

A:How to Change or Disable the Default “Sent From Windows Mail” Email Signature

We have had this tutorial up since December:

How to change your signature in Windows 8 Mail

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/485367/how-to-change-or-disable-the-default-sent-from-windows-mail-email-signature/
Relevancy 64.07%

This is the Context Menu that I'm Can Default Pictures Context Program Edit Menu? the change in I referring to accessed by Start gt Pictures gt Open a Folder to display thumbnails Right-click on Thumbnail With my current settings where if I select and click on Edit MS Windows Paint Can I change the Default Edit Program in Pictures Context Menu? opens as the Default Editing Program I don't like Paint at all and want to change from that current Default Program to allow my Pictures to be opened and edited by Picasa Is there a method by which I can change that Context Menu so that by clicking on Edit the Can I change the Default Edit Program in Pictures Context Menu? selected thumbnail automatically opens in Picasa And before anyone leaps in and suggests any other editing program from the plethora of others available eg Photoshop etc please don't waste your time - I'm not interested in them as Picasa fulfills all of my basic photo editing requirements Basically I'm looking for a shortcut to open Picasa with just one click as I'm aware that I can also get there through Open with in the same Context Menu

A:Can I change the Default Edit Program in Pictures Context Menu?

Hello Tony,

You can use "Open With" with the Always use the selected program to open this kind of program box checked to make Picasa the default program for that type of file extension. Afterwards, it should open Picasa when you use Edit for that file extension next.

Default Programs

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/267613-can-i-change-default-edit-program-pictures-context-menu.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I upgraded to windows through a clean install I just reinstalled itunes but when it prompts me to change itunes to the default program to use for audio to program a default file-type. Cannot Problem: change the open files i click yes and nothing happens It prompts me every time I open itunes I went to control panel - Problem: Cannot change the default program to open a file-type. gt programs - gt default programs - gt set default programs and itunes wasn't there I then went to - gt associate a file type or protocol with a program but when I tried to change the default program for mp the following happened I double click mp I click browse Secondary Drive - gt Itunes - gt Itunes exe I arrive at the screen that popped up after I double clicked mp and itunes isn't on the list I tried going to a random mp file and changing its default program but the same thing happened I googled what to do and I looked for a software that would change the default program for filetypes and I used both These are download links DefaultProgramsEditor and Types They didn't work I tried the following a Click Start type regedit in the Start Search box and then press ENTER b Navigate to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion policies Explorer c In the right side of the screen double click on quot NoFileAssociate quot d Change the value of quot NoFileAssociate quot from to if it the value is not present create a DWORD value and enter the valaue data as e Exit Registry Editor and Restart the computer and check But I didn't seem to have the nofileassociate part in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion policies Explorer Any help would be appreciated

A:Problem: Cannot change the default program to open a file-type.

Welcome to Seven forums jshnaidz.
When you get to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer

Right click in the right pane and you will get a prompt New with some options. Click on DWORD Value (32bit). Then name it too NoFileAssociate then click it in the left pane an change the value data to 0 (zero). exit, reboot and test.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/204706-problem-cannot-change-default-program-open-file-type.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I recently installed magix cleaning lab in order to do some some recording/editing. Somehow this has also become the default program when i click on a jpg file. How can I change it to view in another program?

A:Solved: How to change default program to view photo files

Folder Options > file types > (extension) > restore ..

Or Install Irfanview ... http://www.irfanview.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-change-default-program-to-view-photo-files.670256/
Relevancy 64.07%

Windows refuses to change the version application called upon with default program.

I have 2 versions of 3ds max (2010 and 2015) on my system. I need both for different utilities (some that work in 2010 do not work in 2015, and vice versa).

I tried to change the default left click open program to 3ds max 2015.

However, Windows refuses to acknowledge this and insists on using 3ds Max 2010's 3dsmax.exe instead.

I am using the correct path to the launcher in the 2015 version's folder, I made sure of this at least 15 times.

I have gone through regedit tutorials, even downloaded a utility called openwithview, and tried working with the UI interface for 'open with' for hours but to no avail. Why is windows so insistent on using 3dsmax.exe from the 2010 version even when explicitly told to use the 2015 version? What is causing it to fight so hard with me? How can I change this behavior?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/393092-default-program-refuses-change-version-application-called-upon.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi all - i understand that this might call for the use of resource hacker ( which i really dont have much experience using ) but im willing to give it a try or perhaps any other method(s) that might be suggested.

PDF-XChange has a horrible looking icon ( to me anyways ) that it sets for pdf files.
i would like to change the i con to another of my choice.

This is the one it sets for PDFs that you save or create by default:
This is the one that i would like to make the default for new PDFs:
Can anyone advise on how i would go about achieving this?

A:Solved: How Can I Change The Default Icon That A Program Uses For Certain File Type?

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type regedit.

Expand: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Scroll down to PDF-XChange.Document (or something similar).

Expand it and click on DefaultIcon.

In the right-hand pane, double-click the default value and change the path to where you saved your customized icon (.ico file).

Reboot the computer.
Or, read THIS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-can-i-change-the-default-icon-that-a-program-uses-for-certain-file-type.970298/
Relevancy 64.07%

When I retrive hotmail via outlook express I get the following message: Configuration:
Account: Hotmail
Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
User name: [email protected]
Protocol: HTTPMail
Port: 0
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 80004005

Is there anyway that I can fix this. It is very confusing for my wife when she checks her email.

A:email error message hotmail/outlook express

If you have a free Hotmail account, you can no longer access it through OE or any other email client. They moved this feature to the paid version.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/email-error-message-hotmail-outlook-express-134549.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I am wondering if my Hotmail address causes differences on the Outlook.com interface in Windows 8 as opposed to a true ms or live email address. One reason I ask is that at the top left of the interface of MAIL it says Hotmail. When I log on to Outlook.com in a browser I have the "gear icon" for settings. When I click on the METRO TILE MAIL and the interface is presented along with my mail I can find no where to change settings. If I reveal the "charms" and click on settings I can see nothing that helps?

> Would I have more options if I were to obtain a true MS email and not use Hotmail addy
> If there is not difference, why can't I find the gear icon or a place to change settings?
Thanks greatly! jack ":-D

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/19722-hotmail-logon-outlook-com-vs-ms-live-email-address.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi,Until a few days ago I was always able to read my hotmail messages in Outlook Express but for the past few days a logon screen pops up for me to enter my name & password (never used to happen) & when I enter my info it keeps popping back up & won't let me into my messages. Used to just click on receive messages & it worked. I can go onto the actual Hotmail site & read my messages but I have always used Outlook to read my messages this way. Can anyone help?Thanks in advance,KsanockiMod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

A:Outlook Express Not Downloading Hotmail Email Messaages

You might take a look at one of these links: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=d...Outlook+ExpressI don't use Hotmail, no experience dealing with it.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/114050/outlook-express-not-downloading-hotmail-email-messaages/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi, if a machine is using Outlook Connector with Outlook 2007 to access a Hotmail account, is it possible that an email coming in to Hotmail can then be opened and replied to from within Outlook 2007 and then not appear again in the Hotmail account. (i.e. can the incoming and reply emails be deleted in Outlook 2007 without ever appearing in Hotmail again?)

A:Is Permanent Deletion of An Email Possible in Outlook 2007 & Hotmail

Lang5184, Welcome to the windows 7 forum.

Email is forever
Most probably not as Hotmail keeps stuff. You have to log onto your Hotmail account directly and then delete the email and empty the trash.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/299438-permanent-deletion-email-possible-outlook-2007-hotmail.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi,
For some reason I cant change my default calander even though i have many!
The dropdown menu only lists my lettings calader.
Any ideas please ?

Mikee

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f369/cant-change-outlook-com-default-calendar-1152249.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Is there a way to change the directory where outlook saves email messages and calander events to?

I want to freeze the system/programs partiton using Deep Freeze, but I don't want email or calander files to be affected.

Currently, it saves them in the outlook folder, in:

D:\Documents and Settings\Rahl\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Thanks,

Nick

A:Change Outlook default directory

Yes. Close outlook. Move the .pst file to where you want it. Open Outlook, it will ask you where you moved it to.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-outlook-default-directory.322761/
Relevancy 64.07%

I'm running Windows on an HP laptop I'm in the process Control email program Changing Panel in default of changing my email address to a Hotmail address using Outlook Email Until now I have been using a particular email client program Fort Changing default email program in Control Panel Agent and the browser IE is currently set up to launch Fort Agent as my default email program if I click an email link on a web page So I'm trying to stop the browser from automatically launching Fort Agent in this scenario but I find the options within Control Panel confusing I'm going into the 'Set Program Access and Computer Defaults' window and clicking on the 'Custom' option The 'Choose a default email program' section is displaying the following A group of three option buttons as follows Use Changing default email program in Control Panel my current email program the selected option Fort Agent Windows Live Mail There are also check boxes headed 'Enable access to this program' against the latter two option buttons Both of these are currently set to 'Yes' i e ticked Can someone please explain how I need to set these options to avoid Fort Agent being launched from the browser in these scenarios Or should I be doing something completely different Please note that I will still be leaving Fort Agent installed and will continue to use it until such time as I'm sure that all my contacts have started using my new email address Also as I am now using web-based email rather than an email 'program' if I click on an email link within a web page is it possible for the browser to launch a new page with a new tab for Outlook Mail with the 'To' field automatically populated If so how can I achieve this Thanks in advance for any help

A:Changing default email program in Control Panel

Hi BruceUK, this is what I see on my pc.

As you also have Windows live mail, (I hope its version 2012) just do as in my image. Set up WLM with the email accounts you want (mine uses Gmail & AOL).

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/397536-changing-default-email-program-control-panel.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I am the admin for my computer I installed Netscape on my factory intalled Windows Home with latest updates downloaded computer Netscape is in the Programs x folder I can run Netscape When I want to make it my default email program is when I have a problem I tried IE - gt Internet Options - gt Programs - gt Internet Programs Set Programs When I select 'Set your default programs' Netscape is not listed to select So then i select 'Set program access and computer defaults' I go to 'Choose a default e-mail program' and I click the Netscape Mail radio button I get a popup with quot Netscape Mail could not be set as the default mail application because a registry key could not be updated Verify with your system administrator that you have write access to your system registry and then try again quot I have been able to update other registry keys via regedit I am at a loss and can not program email default registry Setting - access I really want to be able to use mailto when on the internet Thank you

A:Setting default email program - can not access registry

same problem. i'm thinking of trying Sea Monkey, which is a Mozilla email reader and might be more Windows 7 compatible.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/146639-setting-default-email-program-can-not-access-registry.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I'm running Windows on an HP laptop I'm in the process of changing my email address to a Hotmail address using Outlook Email Until now I have been using a particular email client program Fort Agent and the browser IE is currently set up to launch Fort Agent as my default email program if I click an email link on a web page So I'm trying to stop the browser from automatically launching Fort Agent in this scenario but I find the Control in program Panel email Changing default options within Control Panel confusing I'm going into the 'Set Program Changing default email program in Control Panel Access and Computer Defaults' window and clicking on the 'Custom' option The 'Choose a default email program' section is Changing default email program in Control Panel displaying the following A group of three option buttons as follows Use my current email program the selected option Fort Agent Windows Live Mail There are also check boxes headed 'Enable access to this program' against the latter two option buttons Both of these are currently set to 'Yes' i e ticked Can someone please explain how I need to set these options to avoid Fort Agent being launched from the browser in these scenarios Or should I be doing something completely different Please note that I will still be leaving Fort Agent installed and will continue to use it until such time as I'm sure that all my contacts have started using my new email address Also as I am now using web-based email rather than an email 'program' if I click on an email link within a web page is it possible for the browser to launch a new page with a new tab for Outlook Mail with the 'To' field automatically populated If so how can I achieve this Thanks in advance for any help

A:Changing default email program in Control Panel

Hi BruceUK, this is what I see on my pc.

As you also have Windows live mail, (I hope its version 2012) just do as in my image. Set up WLM with the email accounts you want (mine uses Gmail & AOL).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/397536-changing-default-email-program-control-panel.html
Relevancy 64.07%

This my first posting I've learned so much from you guys in the short time I've used your site I hope I'm providing enough info to enable someone to help me I reinstated Windows Mail on my -bit computer make Windows program email Mail Can't default running Windows Professional As your tutorial http www sevenforums com tutorials ows-mail- html warned Windows Mail didn't reinstate correctly until I uninstalled Windows LIVE mail it didn't break my heart to do THAT But now everytime I log into Windows Mail I am asked whether I want it to be my default email program I click quot yes Can't make Windows Mail default email program quot but then next time I log on to Windows Mail I'm asked the same thing I've gone into Ctrl Panel gt Internet Options gt Programs gt Set Programs gt Set Default Programs but Windows Mail is not an option there I know someone in a previous thread said that this can be cured by installing Windows LIVE mail or Incredimail which I've not hear of and then there would be two email programs to choose from--not none as I have now Then in theory from that quot list quot I could select Windows Mail as the default I am reluctant to do that at this point I have a sneaking suspicion that this problem may be related to the fact that Windows Mail appears ONLY as a Shortcut in my Start Menu I can't find it listed as a full program anywhere i e in the Uninstall Program list or All Programs When I followed the reinstate tutorial I was unable to manually edit the registry key because at the HKEY CURRENT USER quot Classes quot level quot eml auto file quot didn't show I can't totally remember what I did at that point but somehow I created a WinMail shortcut on my desktop Probably not a good thing to do If this is the root of my problem what's the remedy If this Shortcut issue doesn't have anything to do with my problem in establishing a default mail program do I need to start a new thread to fix the status of the WinMail program BTW thanks so much for the tutorial to reinstate Windows Mail After I get all the bugs out of this install I'm going to get the nerve to try it on my -bit laptop MarneWY

A:Can't make Windows Mail default email program

Hi MarneWY. Can't help you much on setting Windows Mail permanently as default but here's my story. Like you I used the Windows Mail reinstate hack since Windows 7 did not ship with an Email program. Works just fine for my needs. Then I tried to install the just released SP1 update and it will not install on my machine with the hack in place. Unfortunately there is no "hack reversal" proceedure so I ended up having to do a CLEAN windows install - lot of hours. I'l have to do the same for my daughters laptop as I modified hers too. Now, after I got mine reloaded, I installed Windows Live Mail and found it to be a quite acceptable Email Prog. I had avoided it at first because I thought you had to have a Live ID and that my email would be stored somewhere on MS servers. Not so. Everything is still on my machine and the learning curve for WLM has fairly easy. Wish I had not jumped so fast on the Windows Mail reinstatement.. Anyway, one man's story. I wish you luck with your quest.
Regards
JohnnyA

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/148119-cant-make-windows-mail-default-email-program.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hey All..I'm new here and I have a question:

OK, whenever I find a site I like it has and email addy to use, my bleeping computer brings up Outlook email box and I don't like Outlook, and no matter what i do, and I have unchecked every box in Outlook, well, it still brings up Outlook..Please Help me if you can..

Thanks in Advance,
walkingeart

A:Can't get Outlook email off default???

hi,,,, click on start orb,,, click on control panel make sure your in classic view in control panel,,, (top left) click on default programs,, click select your default programs,, select your email client you want to use and set it as default,,, click ok and close all windows,,,,
good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276487/cant-get-outlook-email-off-default/
Relevancy 63.64%

OK, I have Windows XP Home and I would like to get Outlook not to be my email client when I click on someones email in a webpage..When I click on one now it brings my Outlook addy up..I don't want that..I'd like the option to use my email address..I've tried to go into the control panel and change the default there..It wouldn't let me choose but a few Microsoft emails and wouldn't let me Uncheck Outlook..Can anybody Help Me?? any advice on how to do this if it can be done..If not, I'd like to know I can't..I would think there's a way..Thanks in Advance'

A:need to get Outlook off as default email..

You should be able to go straight to the required mail program and just make it the default.

Otherwise, open Outlook:

Tools / Options / Other / General - uncheck 'make Outlook the default program', etc / apply / OK.

You then set the email default handler in the email program which you wish to use.
For example, if you wanted to use Outlook Express, you would open Outlook Express,
select Tools / Options and at the bottom of the box, where it says: 'Default messaging Programs',
you have the option to make the email and news programs your default.

Depends on which mail program you want to use, you generally find the relevant command in 'Tools' or 'Options' or 'preferences'.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/277084/need-to-get-outlook-off-as-default-email/
Relevancy 63.64%

The Downloads folder by default is at location? save Will folder change program default Downloads moving C Users User-Name Downloads I have another hard disk D that I use it to save data files only and I would like to move the Downloads folder to the D Downloads I will follow User Folders - Change Default Location to move the Downloads folder Many programs e g internet browser quot save files quot quot download location quot by default is pointing to C Users User-Name Downloads Q After I have moved to D Downloads will the programs quot save files quot quot download location quot automatically point to the new location D Downloads Q If the programs quot save files quot quot download location quot is still pointing to C Users User-Name Downloads will the programs still save downloads Will moving Downloads folder change program default save location? to C Users User-Name Downloads Q Do I need to manually go through one Will moving Downloads folder change program default save location? by one program settings to change the quot save files quot quot download location quot to D Downloads Thanks

A:Will moving Downloads folder change program default save location?

Why bother with moving the folder? Every browser I've used may default to the downloads folder on the C: drive but also allows you to specify a different folder. I simply point the browser to the downloads folder on my D: drive and oftentimes I even create a new subfolder for that download. Works for me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/339292-will-moving-downloads-folder-change-program-default-save-location.html
Relevancy 63.64%

The Downloads folder by default is at C Users User-Name Downloads I have another hard disk D that I use it to save data files only and I would like to move the Downloads folder to the D Downloads location Downloads change Will moving folder default program save I will follow http www sevenforums com tutorials -user-folders-change-default-location html to move the Downloads folder Many programs e g internet browser quot save files quot quot download location quot by default will point to C Users User-Name Downloads Q After I have moved I have moved to D Downloads will the programs quot save files quot quot download location quot automatically point to the new location D Downloads Q If the programs quot save files quot quot download location quot is still pointing to C Users User-Name Downloads will the programs still save downloads to C Users User-Name Downloads Q Do I need to manually go through each program settings to change the quot save files quot quot download location quot to D Downloads Thanks nbsp

A:Will moving Downloads folder change program default save location

It won't normally change the location that individual programs save their data files.
The download location is a setting in your browser and is NOT system wide. You could have IExplorer downloading to one location and another browser downloading somewhere else.

If you want the programs to change, you will have to change each one .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-moving-downloads-folder-change-program-default-save-location.1130372/
Relevancy 63.21%

I would like to move it to:

d:\documents\email

But, when I try to add a new one and delete the default in outlook XP, it tells me no.

also, is there anyway to have calendar reminders appear without outlook actually running?

A:Change location of default .pst file (outlook XP)

Akito,

See if this helps:

How to change your default PST file in Outlook 2002

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-location-of-default-pst-file-outlook-xp.152931/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to have a particular folder open when I start Outlook 2003. Currently, I have to go through 3 or so different folders to get to this one which is used frequently. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

JFresh

Relevancy 63.21%

Anyone know how the change the "default inbox" that is linked to the Desktop Alerts?

I have 3 different email addresses (all POP accounts), all residing under the same profile. I created separate .PSTs for each address, and therefore they each have their own inbox/outbox/sent items/deleted items folders. My primary email address is linked to the "Personal Folders" .PST, and is set as the default account for sending mail. However, the Desktop Alerts that keep appearing are from one of my secondary accounts, an email addy that I only use for online shopping and therefore receives tons of ads and spam.

Needless to say, I want to be alerted when emails come to my main account, not when Best Buy or Old Navy sends me their spam of the day. So how do I change which inbox is linked to the Desktop Alerts?

Thanks!!

Andrea M

A:Change Default Inbox in Outlook 2007?

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried to go into Tools>>Account Settings from the menu bar and then used the up arrow to change the priority on your main account so that it is at the top of the list? I do not use multiple accounts but would suggest that you check that out.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-inbox-in-outlook-2007.919999/