Windows Support Forum

Recover XP Mode OE Mail and Settings after W7 Reinstall

Q: Recover XP Mode OE Mail and Settings after W7 Reinstall

I had to reinstall Windows 7. The reinstall nicely (thank you) copied all my program files, program data, users, and windows data over to a new 'windows.old' folder (see attached) before reinstalling windows 7. I have now re-set up XP mode with Outlook Express and would like to recover my prior-to-reinstall Outlook Express email, addressbook, and settings.

I should just be able to just copy over the old Outlook Express store under the old windows, shouldn''t I? Or do I need to use import? Anyway, I cannot find the old windows 7 Outlook Express store.

Instructions on how to recover my Outlook Express files from my old Wnidows 7 (XP mode) store would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Recover XP Mode OE Mail and Settings after W7 Reinstall

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Recover XP Mode OE Mail and Settings after W7 Reinstall

bump

Can anyone please just tell me where the OE store for settings, mail, etc is in Windows 7 XP Mode?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/173886-recover-xp-mode-oe-mail-settings-after-w7-reinstall.html
Relevancy 55.47%

How to reset Forgot Mac mail password? Mac Mail Password recovery, Mac mail customer service Support can simply resolve your Mac Mail password with change Mac mail Password. Mac Mail customer Service Number is toll free Number

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mac-mail-customer-service-number-for-recover-mac-mail-passwo.1156238/
Relevancy 53.75%

i have a problem. my old computer is being past to my grandson 11y.
I would like to wipe it clean.then to reinstall from recover file on the "c" drive it has something to do with "retten application" in xp home.
how do I go about it.

Relevancy 53.32%

From what I've read I'm out of luck but just in case here goes recover files after reinstall? I got a blue screen recover files after reinstall? and when I turned on the computer again it said it couldn't find the system files and I should put in the cd and choose recover I looked up several tutorials and the easiest ideas didn't work so I went with Microsoft and did a command prompt copy delete repair series of commands with system files recover files after reinstall? The computer boots now but nothing is on it There was no warning about this I have most things copied on an external drive but can I get back my iTouch backup I can't figure out how to connect to the internet either I went to the control panel and went recover files after reinstall? through a wireless connection setup but I don't think it did anything I like puzzles but I'm so sick of Windows I don't want to spend the hours it may take to figure this out myself Please help Thanks

A:recover files after reinstall?

Quote:

Originally Posted by quonequone

The computer boots now but nothing is on it. There was no warning about this...

You say the computer boots up, so obviously there is something on it. If you mean your personal files, your user profile may have been corrupted and Windows loaded a default profile.
Go to C:\Documents and Settings you should see your old user profile folder there. Open it up, open up the Desktop folder, if you icons are there, then go to Start/Run and type control userpasswords and press enter. Here, create a new user profile with Admin rights. Log out of the user profile your in and log in as the new user you just created. Go to C:\Documents and Settings and open up your old profile folder, Copy the Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, and Start Menu folders and Paste them into your new user profile overwriting the empty folders.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recover-files-after-reinstall-604547.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello,

I had an issue with windows 7 and was advised to reinstall. I have reinstalled and tried to recover my work via windows.old. The files have appeared, but none of my work documents inside. And yes I did not back-up this weeks work....!!! Please can anyone help?

Relevancy 52.89%

I just changed over from Windows Vista and installed Windows 7 32 bit. I did a total backup onto an external hard drive. Now that I have my new mail installed from Microsoft Office 2010 which is Microsoft Outlook, I want to reinstall all my mail contacts from my backed up system. Does anyone know the file ext to look for and under what folder would these contacts be posted in? Also, would anything change from Vista to 7 as far as the ext name ?

A:Solved: Looking for backed up mail contacts to reinstall in new mail system

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-looking-for-backed-up-mail-contacts-to-reinstall-in-new-mail-system.1073502/
Relevancy 52.46%

hi there been researching for days finding no solutions greatly appreciate any assistance or guidance as i am unfamiliar with tech probs and losing my mind over losing my files initial xp recover after reinstall shutdown?? after data prob win did not load on start up instead entered win setup options were unavailable frozen- recover data after reinstall after xp shutdown?? could not even resart power off i cut the main power to restart was then able to either enter bios or let win setup load again a message told me a problem was detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage it recommended to run chkdsk f a friend advised to reinstall windows might be necessary to note i had my comp configured partitioned so that E was my main drive after i had some problems with my C drive long ago intended to reformat C but never got to it been working optimally like this for nearly two years now after reinstalling win xp my old C drive incomplete and potentially corrupt is back into play and the contents of my recover data after reinstall after xp shutdown?? much valued 'E' drive are now in D not sure if that matters or not however the contents in D are 'corrupt' unaccessible and my 'access is denied' also the last time i started the comp an unfamiliar flash screen appeared scrolling lines and lines of 'recovering orphaned file 'such and such'' when windows finally loaded i found that many files from the D drive were now mia the remaining ones still unaccessible thought i should scan for viruses now that i can access the os but im afraid to run that computer until necessary to prevent further damage how can i recover and repair my files and folders

A:recover data after reinstall after xp shutdown??

Your friend is right but if you only have the one hard drive in the case then do a clean install.
boot up on your xp disk , delete ALL partitions then create a partition which will give just the one partition on your drive then format NTFS and load Windows etc.

Bri.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recover-data-after-reinstall-after-xp-shutdown-295551.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Frankly I've been up for hours trying to fix this so I don't have my specs off-hand Let me know if any are needed I'm pretty good with computer software but I've lost most of my knowledge with hardware or boot systems I have a pretty nice gaming PC almost TB drive with GB free space Vista x Home Premium I am certain I caught a virus this evening morning since my taskbar popped up a message warning me of a quot potential threat quot and my PC promptly rebooted itself in the next seconds Now it won't load past the POST from Vista repair/recover/reinstall CD won't windows isn't even attempting to load just a black screen with a blinking 'underscore' character I've never been in this murky of a situation so for a bit I just fumbled around stewing Vista won't repair/recover/reinstall from CD in my own panic I busted out the recovery CD Vista won't repair/recover/reinstall from CD and attempted to follow the prompts I tried a Recovery but the system told me it encountered an error during said recovery and that no changes were made to any of my files I tried a boot repair but the log informed my that my OS was loading properly I tried a reinstall and it went through the checklist Copying Windows Files Expanding Windows Files Installing features Installing updates etc When it finished the checklist the PC rebooted and I sat facing the opening screen to the system recovery again Same options repair my system or install windows I tried all the Vista won't repair/recover/reinstall from CD repair options again but I faced the same results except the System Recovery which no longer had the recovery dates that I was shown last time I tried rebooting without the CD but I again had just a black screen after POST So I tried reinstalling again Zilch F while the computer is loading the CD's OS files will give me the Safe Mode screen but any option I choose seems to lead me back to the same place as before I pulled up over a dozen pages and videos on another PC showing how to reinstall Windows Vista without formatting the HD and it looks like I did exactly what I needed to But no success just another welcome screen for the system recovery Am I doing something wrong or are my troubles more serious than I'd like them to be I want to avoid reformatting my hard drive but I don't know what else to do at this point Now when I open the quot repair quot portion of the system recovery menu the computer is acknowledging separate instances of Windows Vista on my hard drive After reading so many how-to guides and posts on various forums regarding issues with Vista installs and whatnot I felt this site had the most knowledgeable users I'm hoping you guys can offer some wisdom Apologies for any typos or lack of coherent formatting I've seriously been working at this for hours and I'm running on fumes Thanks guys

A:Vista won't repair/recover/reinstall from CD

It depends on what caused this. If it's a boot sector/partition table virus/rootkit, it's possible that that's what's stopping you.

So, try this next:
- use KillDisk or DBAN (both free with a Google search) to wipe the entire hard drive. It takes a while (only 1 pass is needed), but it'll remove everything from your hard drive.

Then try installing Windows from the Recovery CD/DVD's.
If it works, then that was the problem (something 'dodgey' in your boot/partition areas).
If not, then it's time to try some free bootable diagnostics. Start with the hard drive diagnostic: Initial Hardware Diagnostics

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/297146-vista-wont-repair-recover-reinstall-cd.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Alright, it seems that every few months, even after I turn off my computer normally and then turn it back on the next morning, it says

"Windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair".

Well whenever I do that, it says it could not repair/recover the corrupt file and I need to reformat my PC. Then a month or two later it happens again. Im wondering If it could be a hard-drive problem due to the fact the hard drive is one of the oldest pieces of hardware in this PC (From my old Compaq), or if it is my Windows XP.

Suggestions anyone?

A:Missing file, cant recover, need to reinstall

yes
it could very well be your hard drive.
can you run the manufacturers utilty to check it?
download it from their site
post back

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-file-cant-recover-need-to-reinstall-93144.html
Relevancy 52.46%

i just partially installed Windows XP by a mistake. (I wanted to repair my current windows XP Pro, but I did it wrong and got through the step...."preparing for installation" But I ejected the CD when I got to the step "installing Windows" because I suspected I was not actually repairing windows, but rather installing a new one. Now my question.....PLEASE TELL ME I HAVEN'T DELETED THE FILES IN "MY DOCUMENTS??????!!!! That is all I care about. Is there a way to recover them?

A:HELP!! Recover Files after partial XP Reinstall

Hi

If this is a PC then the easiest way to check this is to unplug the PC from the power, remove the hard drive and attach it as a slave or 2nd hard drive to an existing working PC. This way you can browse the hard drive and copy your documents if they have not been deleted yet. If the documents have been deleted but you stopped Windows Setup, as you said, then there is still a good chance you can recover your documents using a recovery program.

If this is a laptop you have a few choices.
1. If it is a SATA hard drive you can take the hard drive out the laptop and attach it to another PC as above (If the PC has SATA ports).
2. If it is an IDE hard drive you can either buy a USB to IDE converter and then attach your hard drive to the USB port of a working PC as above.
OR
You can download a Linux Live CD ( Ubuntu) or a program like Ultimate Boot CD for Windows( http://www.ubcd4win.com/). Then create/burn the CD and boot the laptop up with the CD and try to copy the documents off the hard drive to a USB memory stick/flash drive.

Note for the best chance of recovery (if the documents have been deleted) it is better if you do not work on the hard drive and if you have to recover the files then it is done to a different drive as recovering to the same drive can overwrite deleted files and thus mess up a successful recovery.

Free File Recovery Programs
PC Inspector: http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1
Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-recover-files-after-partial-xp-reinstall-539311.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi I was partitioning my HDD using Acronis and when it rebooted there was an acronis error which corrupted Windows I got the error message quot WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT lt WINDOWS ROOT gt SYSTEM HAL DLL quot I used the XP CD and the recovery console and noticed that the folder structure was still there but there was no Windows Folder I installed Windows and selected quot leave the current file system intact quot Program reinstall Windows XP after files Recover option It loaded windows and I still have my Program Files full of programs and the previous domain users in the Documents and Settings folder Is there any Recover Program files after Windows XP reinstall way I can quot re-register quot all my programs in program files with Windows I m guessing it might be something to do with the registry Other info - When i booted the PC I now get options Recover Program files after Windows XP reinstall to boot for Windows XP Pro both look the same with no programs available There is only program files folder there is no Program Files old any ideas nbsp

A:Recover Program files after Windows XP reinstall

They need to be reinstalled as though they were new. Most programs also have components in the Windows directory (now lost) and many other locations. Those all need to be restored as well as all the registry entries.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-program-files-after-windows-xp-reinstall.800315/
Relevancy 52.03%

Sorry for the long post This repair / / BSOD recover reinstall to - unable Windows Pro running in a DELL Inspiron desktop my spare backup machine have suddenly for no obvious reason stopped to respond Well almost I am by no means a techy and even though I've been using computers for over years THIS is new for me None of the cures that I know of have worked so far Background Windows seem to start normally the POST procedure is completed DELL's boot process BSOD - unable to recover / repair / reinstall bar finishes OK Windows logo turns up followed by the Welcome message and then the shit hit the BSOD - unable to recover / repair / reinstall fan - BSOD In this case - BLACK Screen Of Death The HDD keep spinning for more sec or so and I can hear fans working but then it all comes to a sudden halt and the machine cease to respond to input Except for the CTRL-ALT-DEL kombination where I can bring up the Task Manager Choosing any of the other options here Logout User Restart will eventually also end in the same BSOD BSOD - unable to recover / repair / reinstall so I disregard from them for now Looking at the Services list I find services in total whereof only running mostly non-critical stopped and in the proccess of being shut down The Processes list shows running programs dwm exe nvxdsync exe nvvsvc exe explorer exe winlogon exe taskmgr exe csrss exe hmpsched exe legit part of Hitman Pro The Programs list is empty but to my great suprise I am allowed to ADD programs Choosing that option brings up THE ENTIRE CONTENT OF THE COMPUTER including both harddrives Admin- and repair tools files documents the lot It seem as Windows is not completely dead after all so why not start a usefull repair program quot from within quot The chosen program is added I hit OK and it turns up on the Programs list - for two seconds Then it vanishes Refresh shows an empty list again and the procedure is repeated no matter what I choose to start Similary I can terminate both Processes and Services but Activations have no effect Folders open normally while a doubleklick on any executable file on the harddrive immediatly freezes Windows In some cases I was able to revert the latest step with ALT F terminate Windows and shut down the machine quot normally quot by using the ON OFF button Oddly enough when the computer is left on for a while the screensaver is kicking in At one point after the computer was left on for a longer time I found this on the screen quot STOP C A Fatal System Error The initial session process terminated unexpectedly with a status of x xC x f The system has been shut down quot Attempts to fix Restart to Safe Mode F NOT possible The system finds no Windows to use so it directs me to the Repair options on the Recovery disk Inserting the Recovery DVD legal retail and restart the machine after changing the boot order in BIOS accordingly A meter shows quot Copying files quot and completes quot Starting Windows quot and completes and then the Windows logo turns up After that - NOTHING The computer stop responding and no more signes of life come from the machine Depressing the ON OFF button for sec is the only remaining option Obviously in this case Windows halts at the same spot during the startup process regardless where it is started from thus rendering my Recovery disk usless Starting with the options in the F boot leads to different marry-go-round trips to BSODs except for the DELL Diagnose which completes with all PASS values Yeah right Entering BIOS with F reset to default values toggle the Turbo setting on and off with restarts in between changes nothing Latest available BIOS installed from DELL for month ago and the same goes for all the available drivers and other updates from the same source SATA mode is AHCI and is left untouched Memory temperatures fans NIC USB ports and all SATA device are listed as OK Disconnected all non-essential external device including the network cable connection The onboard DELL DW wireless adapter is on an... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/400205-bsod-unable-recover-repair-reinstall.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello I was trying to restore my laptop to the factory status but the tool failed in both modes complete restoring and partial restoring system Content removed recover the How to - / reinstall HDD keeping my files It said something about files missing to HDD Content removed - How to reinstall / recover the system proceed So I chose the third option the one called HDD Recovery something the one that takes several hours and erases everything which I didn't know so now my laptop is completely empty HDD Content removed - How to reinstall / recover the system when I start it says quot Checking Media quot Failed so I assume that there is absolutely nothing to be read on the HDD My questions is should I just install a normal copy of windows and download all the dirvers required afterwards or there is any CD or File I could get from Toshiba so I can restore everything to normal Cause I assume that the laptop doesn't have any more the Recovery applications or any of the apps that you can run when you turn it on by clicking quot quot or quot F quot Thanks Adrian

A:HDD Content removed - How to reinstall / recover the system

Not sure about it, but you can recover the lost HDD files with hep of a specialised software

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?89119-HDD-Content-removed-How-to-reinstall-recover-the-system
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

I have finally succeeded to reinstall windows XP. I haven't
erased my files, everything is there, but now I don't know
how to recover the old settings.
For example, I have a folder with all the datas of my previous
desktop. How can I recover it and put it in this new desktop?

I have all my programs in the c:/programs, but they do not work,
they are not anymore in the start/prorams....
how can I recover all the previously saved settings and programs?
thank you

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

I have a server that needs to be reloaded with Windows 2000..The hard drive is fine but just needs reinstallation. Is there ANY way to recover the IP settings from browsing to some file that might show it since I can't record them by just booting up? I'm trying to cancel out the headache of calling the ISP to get all the settings. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Relevancy 51.6%

my computer crashed out of nowhere and did a restart where it started re installing windows vista making me create the log in accept terms of use set up accounts etc. i see a bunch of my program files still here and what not but all of my pictures documents and music is gone i cant find it and i did not back it up anywhere is there any way to recover or restore any of it?
Thank you

A:Computer Crashed and Went into a reinstall of Vista on its own, how can i recover my files??????????

From what you say it sounds like your PC has done a factory recovery which "wipes" all existing data from the C: drive and overwrites it with a fresh installation. That's why keeping backups of your files on a separate drive or on optical discs is absolutely vital. I'm afraid your files have gone forever.Keeping backups is not only essential in the above scenario, it's also essential because all hard drives will eventually fail, leaving the data inaccessible except by using the very expensive services of a data recovery company.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/391189/computer-crashed-and-went-into-a-reinstall-of-vista-on-its-own-how-can-i-recover-my-files/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello all I'm glad to have joined McAfee Win uninstall will repair, reinstall BSOD - or recover not OS 10 after such a knowledgeable community and look forward to expanding my very limited Win 10 BSOD after McAfee uninstall - will not repair, recover or reinstall OS understanding of the capabilities of the modern day PC My issue started a couple of days Win 10 BSOD after McAfee uninstall - will not repair, recover or reinstall OS ago after having issues updating a McAfee Livesafe program upon paying for a subscription program was originally the free trial version I had to call customer service to complete my payment as they were having technical difficulties with their website at that time -- red flag Whilst on the phone with the CSR after successful payment she explained that the program should auto update within a couple of seconds which it did not She walked me through doing a manual check for and installation of the required update The update finally showed up and installed after several attempts and I assumed it had done so successfully and ended my call with the CSR Within seconds I realized it hadn't installed correctly as some of the features would not allow me to enable them I tried a restart of my computer in hopes that would resolve the issue Upon reboot the problem remained Bringing the issue to my husband's attention he decided to fall back on what we've always been told to do with a stubborn app or program -- uninstall then reinstall The uninstall completed it's removal process and a notification popped up informing us that in order to complete the uninstall process the system would have to be restarted We selected Restart Now and awaited the reboot The Dell screen with the F and F startup and boot options shows as normal followed by a black screen with a flashing horizontal cursor that blinked - times followed by the first BSOD either of us had ever encountered saying that a CRITICAL PROCESS DIED Que dramatic dun dun DUUUUUNNN accompanied by you killed it faces It attempted the restart it promised several times before giving up and asking if we would like to see advanced options From there we have tried Recovery Repair Restore from Image and reinstalling the OS from a USB -- all of which have been unsuccessful We called McAfee and explained the issue only to be told that when we deleted their program that we also deleted any viruses that it had previously quarantined which likely had essential Windows files attached to them that it was not their responsibility and that we would have to contact Microsoft to obtain a boot disc for Windows We created a recovery boot drive on USB from a friend's Windows computer -- which the McAfee technical support rep said would work -- and attempted the re-installation of the OS The process started and reached at which point a screen popped up informing us that it was unable to complete the process the same message we received with every other recovery or repair attempt PC is a Dell Inspiron upgraded from Windows to Windows The most recent version of just installed days before this problem began Any and all help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629688/win-10-bsod-after-mcafee-uninstall-will-not-repair-recover-or-reinstall-os/
Relevancy 51.17%

Please need to solve at this time the following and believe I need the server settings and other info I am a dunce with Windows and it never did play well with Comcast just that with XP I could fumble it into place myself Now the Comcast techs are lost or just do not want to help me reconfigure Live settings Windows needed server Mail/Comcast/mail it into Windows Live Mail as the whole problem was created by their instructions on how to set up pay on line Incredible hmm Windows Live Mail/Comcast/mail server settings needed The connection to the server has failed Subject Re Find your true friend Server smtp comcast net Windows Live Mail Error ID x CCC E Protocol SMTP Port Secure SSL No Socket Error Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail Napolina account The host comcast net could not be found Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly Server comcast net Windows Live Mail Windows Live Mail/Comcast/mail server settings needed Error ID x CCC D Protocol POP Port Secure SSL Yes Socket Error Unable to send or receive messages for the Comcast TanToes account Windows Live Mail/Comcast/mail server settings needed The host could not be found Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly Server Windows Live Mail Error ID x CCC D Protocol POP Port Secure SSL No Socket Error nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

Ok bear with me I had a customer last week that called in reference to XP pro problems so I went out to the house to save the day NOT Heres what they had hds one questio... recover settings XP was partitioned with WIN and XP Pro was Slave with XP pro as a backup The problem consisted of a boot error When the computer booted no boot screen appeared So I tried the simple fix of FIXBOOT from the XP cd nothing So I decided to repair XP from the CD Well heres what happened When trying to repair I forgot to use the R option and reinstalled XP This was do in part by having XP recover settings questio... other thing s to do on the site XP recover settings questio... IE Install cable and outlets for High speed internet But anyway thats my excuse for now LOL So it reinstalled XP and when the system came up it was like a fresh install No pgms settings were gone XP recover settings questio... ETC But I noticed that there were sets of documents and settings Upon further exploration found that what happened was the New install saved the old settings and reloaded XP Now I was really stuck at night and looking stupid heres what I did I booted to the Slave drive and used the transfer files wizard to install the old settings from the Partioned hd running XP to the salve drive IT WORKED But not all pgms made across the bridge But I fixed that by reloading them from disk ETC I never did get the old settings running on the Xp partition on HD The question is how could this be done WOOO Are you still with me LOL nbsp

A:XP recover settings questio...

Any help appr...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-recover-settings-questio.108722/
Relevancy 51.17%

I recently ran spybot and spyhunter unbootable from Recover hdd settings they found items I had them remove them I went to refresh a tab in Firefox immedialely after As soon as I did that I got a crash message from Firefox It asked if I wanted it to restart I said yes Right after that I got the BSoD PC restarted and when Vista Recover settings from unbootable hdd begins to load it gives me the BSoD I tried safe mode safe mode with command prompt nothing will get me back into Vista I tried to repair Windows using the Vista install disc to no avail Was not able to use system restore either I put an older drive in and put a clean install of Vista on I can copy the files over but I would love to get the settings from Vista iTunes Firefox and some others maybe but definitely those Not so much the settings from iTunes but my playlists Before I put my older hdd in I was going to take it to a tech He told me he was just going to hook both of them up and copy the files and settings that's when I hooked my old hdd up as a slave No idea why I didn't think of that earlier but he said he would be able to recover my settings and files So I guess my first question is how can I recover my settings from Vista and Firefox I tried just copying Firefox from the busted hdd to the new hdd but that doesn't copy the settings I guess Second would be is there any way to recover my playlists from iTunes Any help would be GREATLY appreciated Thank you

A:Recover settings from unbootable hdd

Hi,

I have managed to carry my iTunes and Firefox settings over my last 3 re-installs. Usually you can find the settings files in:
"Old OS Drive:\Users\your user\AppData\Local\Mozilla" - for Firefox
"Old OS Drive:\Users\your user\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla" - for Firefox
"Old OS Drive:\Users\your user\AppData\Local\Apple Computer" - for iTunes
"Old OS Drive:\Users\your user\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer" - for iTunes
Make sure you have the view hidden system files and folders option set to on in folder options. (press Alt in a Windows Explorer window then go Tools>Folder Options)
Copy these folders across and overwrite your current ones, make sure they go in exactly the same location.

Also the iTunes library is usually saved in your "My Music" folder. Copy the "iTunes" folder from your old "My Music" folder to your new "My Music" folder along with all the music. Note that your music has to also have the same folder path that it had in the old system otherwise the library won't be able to find them.

As for the Vista settings - I have never bothered porting OS settings across. It probably can be done, but I have found it easier to just change settings as they affect me.

Please post back if it works or you have problems.

Regards,
Reventon

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/recover-settings-from-unbootable-hdd-470016.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a hard drive with OE on it. The hard drive will not boot. I have installed it as a secondary drive on my computer. I am booting from Win 7 but the secondary drive was XP

How do I recover my OE settings and data?

A:Recover oe settings from dead HDD

If the drive is truly dead, as in it doesn't spin up and is not accessible when it's attached as a secondary drive, the only way to recover data is to send it to the very very expensive Data Recovery specialists
If you can access the secondary drive, do a search of that drive for *.dbx files (OE Email Files) and *.wab (Address Book) and Import them into Windows Live Mail

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recover-oe-settings-from-dead-hdd-674175.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I just upgraded to Win 7 and will be using live mail. How do I export my mail address book from my old Vista computer? Both computers are on the same wireless network. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: My mail program on the Vista machine is Earthlink Mail

A:Importing E Mail and settings into Win7 Live Mail

Hello IBHIPRU,

These may be able to help you with this.

Windows Live Mail - Import Windows Mail Messages

and

Windows Live Mail - Import Windows 7 and Vista Contacts

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/126017-importing-e-mail-settings-into-win7-live-mail.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi, I need help on a weird problem.

I tried to follow the System Image Recovery tutorial, but am stuck on trying to access the Recover system settings on your computer link. When I click on it nothing happens. Same thing when I use Help and Support and try to access Recovery from there. I have created a system image on an external HDD but it now seems pointless if I can't access it to recover from. I have also tried to boot to the Advanced Boot options, but pressing F8 key doesn't do a thing. I'm not sure if this is because I'm on a laptop.

Thanks to all in advance of any guidance you can give me. This is driving me nuts.

A:Trying to access the Recover system settings

Update:

I used my Windows 7 upgrade installation DVD to boot up and got into the 'Repair your computer' function. I then selected 'Restore using a system image you created earlier' and the system automatically picked up on the latest system image I had stored on an HDD. I didn't select the 'Format and repartition disks' option.

The whole process took around 70 minutes, but it worked a treat. My system is now back to 16/07 before I had issues with SP1. And I am now able to access the Recover system settings on your computer link on Control Panel.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/176795-trying-access-recover-system-settings.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Help please. I restored my computer to factory settings and am wondering if i can recover any of my lost programs such as my linksys wireless program. I did not ever backup

A:Can i recover after a restore to factory settings?

What is the make and model of your Linksys wireless adapter? On an internet computer you can download the drivers and software from Linksys
You will not be able to Recover any programs you had previously installed, but if the Restore didn't overwrite everything you may be able to find some personal files. (Documents, Pictures, Music etc) but there is no guarantee.
Try GetDataBack NTFS.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/can-i-recover-after-a-restore-to-factory-settings-656692.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Can anyone tell me how to tranfer my old programs settings and accounts from an XP insallation that no longer boots to a newly installed winXP on a seperate HDD. Both physical drives are in the same computer and the old "crashed OS HDD" is still accesseible from windows when booted from new HDD, all files and OS seem to be in tact, however the old drive will not boot( error at startup "BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER") It seems that only the boot sector is damaged or missing though because all disk checks find no errors and I can write to and read from disk fine, I can even run programs on the disk by creating shortcuts on my new install. Any advice would be greatly Appreciated.

A:need to recover progs and settings from crashed XP

Can anyone help me???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-recover-progs-and-settings-from-crashed-xp.496923/
Relevancy 49.88%

Recently I was attacked with malware and Wanting recover the to system new) factory (like settings, to I had no internet security It messed up some programs changed the description of processes etc I read up on how to get rid of malware and such and I got Malwarebytes SpyBot - search amp destroy and finally Avast computer antivirus After running scans with malwarebytes and Spybot removing all the trojans and programs that were affected I used ccleaner to clean the registry Although I did all that it seems like there is still something in my Wanting to recover system to the factory settings, (like new) computer because spybot keeps scanning the same files over and over and both Malwarebytes and Avast keep saying that a malware threat had been stopped while showing a URL that I never even connected to Sometimes it even happends when internet explorer is off Anyway what I really want to do is to restore my PC to the factory settings and start with a fresh NEW system I'll make sure to get AVAST right away to insure security As for backing up files I'm afraid that the virus would somehow be in certain files and infect my computer again Nothing really important that I'd lose So I don't really mind so much to do a full factory reset I do have a recovery disc set that I had made when first using my laptop I'm so to say a noob and I have no idea what it would do Oh and by saying all this would doing this process really remove all viruses and malware Thanks M TE

A:Wanting to recover system to the factory settings, (like new)

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
startup repair disc-create

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

For better help with problems, Can you post your specs.
Filling out System Specs
System Info - See Your System Specs

Dont Know What Hardware You Have..??
VistaForums SysInfo Tool - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/185890-wanting-recover-system-factory-settings-like-new.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I use Pale Moon 64Bit using a Windows 7 64-Bit. Several weeks ago, I had to perform a total system wipe, and I do not know where the original files are located, as to what the settings on this were before. I would prefer to locate those file(s) using PhotoRec (since I have that installed).

Would recovering browser settings also retain my addons, passwords, and bookmarks as well?

A:How do I recover all browser settings following a system wipe?

what original files are you looking for? if you did not back anything up you wont be able to recover anything if you wiped out your computer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566554/how-do-i-recover-all-browser-settings-following-a-system-wipe/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi guys

It's a cry (literally!) for help and I'd really appreciate if somebody can help.

My laptop was playing up constantly after the recent Windows 7 updates and eventually I couldn't get past a screen with system restore options. Having backed up my files on Seagate external hard drive beforehand, I've chosen the option to restore the computer back to the factory settings (which probably was a bad idea!).

After the system recovery, I went to access the external drive and encountered a massive problem: my files are not showing on the external drive (although the disk shows used space) and I can't access any files. I understand I might have to post this problem with not being able to access the files on Seagate drive as a separate thread, but my question is: Is there anything I can do to recover the files I've lost after I performed system recovery?

Many thanks in advance.

A:How to recover the files after restoring the PC to factory settings?

Hello and welcome Tatty mate try using Partition Wizard to explore the drive. (see my pic)

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/314619-how-recover-files-after-restoring-pc-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have been asked by a non-technical friend to re-install Vista x his PC after the MB and PSU decided to give up Recover Settings Install? How I A Do Email Corrupt From on him I have fitted a spare HDD as the original one refuses to boot with the replacement MB First thing I done was try to run the repair but Windows is convinved the drive is failing and refuses to correect it Anyway I installed Vista on the other HDD and done all the drivers updates activation etc and it How Do I Recover Email Settings From A Corrupt Install? is running fine I can also browse the old HDD through the new install and have recovered all of the important How Do I Recover Email Settings From A Corrupt Install? things like photos etc However I cant for the life of me figure out how to retrieve all his emails and account settings I knew how to do it in XP with a little help from Google but I cant find anything that covers this for Vista Anybody here know how to retrieve all the emails and settings from the old HDD and import them to the new install Paul How Do I Recover Email Settings From A Corrupt Install? nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

Hi all,

Lately my Laptop (toshiba satelitte) has become incredibly slow and full of crap I don't need. I would like to completely reboot the pc to factory settings.

I have searched and people suggest entering the hddrecovery option by pressing f8 going into 'repair pc' and then selecting the correct option.

The problem I have is that I have upgraded to windows 7 since I bought the pc and I know toshiba do not allow you to recover from the hddrecovery option once you have upgraded. My question is, how am I meant to restore the pc to factory settings without having to buy the CD's from toshiba?

Thanks

A:no way to recover PC to factory settings from Toshiba HDDrecovery

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
startup repair disc-create

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

How to use Toshiba Recovery.
How to use the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility

You can order Toshiba Recovery disks from here:
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...rification.jsp

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/263818-no-way-recover-pc-factory-settings-toshiba-hddrecovery.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have been working with Cookie Gal in this tread http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1100140-very-slow-computer-combofix-said-10.html and the decision is just to get the system back to factory settings. I have a Lenovo 3000H200 with Windows XP Home. The Lenovo Product recovery CD Rom that came with it has Windows XP Home with SP2. The instructions n the users guide says to press F2 and chose the ONEKEY Recovery. I am a little "nervous" (I would use another expression but let's stay with that one) . Do you think I will be ok.

Relevancy 49.88%

On a regular basis I delete my sent e-mails. Last April I e-mailed a picture that has been deleted from my phone and of course the e-mail had been deleted. I'm no longer in contact with the person I sent it to and don't know what her e-mail address was. Is there any reasonable easy way to recover the picture or is it gone?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/484084/recover-sent-e-mail/
Relevancy 49.88%

Some photos and mail seen only SAFE mode - - but not regular mode in BOTH Internet explorer AND Firefox Hi for some reason I am no longer able to look at Just SOME photos on web sites on this One Win computer nor See my email in Yahoo main INBOX unless I am in SAFE mode Not sure how to tell what I did wrong or if missing dlls or other settings But does work ok just in SAFE mode However I also get the Blue screen of death once in a while Below is what I got when doing the quot hijack scan quot Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT SP MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x ASUS AI Suite II AsRoutineController exe C Program Files x ASUS ASUS Instant On AsInstantOn exe C ProgramData FLEXnet Connect ISUSPM exe C Users JIMMY AppData Local Akamai netsession win exe C Users JIMMY AppData Roaming SearchProtect bin cltmng exe C Users JIMMY AppData Local Akamai netsession win exe C UPS WSTD WSTDMessaging exe C Program Files x ASUS AI Firf but and Internet seen in photos not mail SAFE regular nor mode explorer mode in Manager AsShellApplication exe C Program Files TRENDnet TEW- PC TEW- PI WlanCU exe C Program Files x ASUS ASUS Easy Update ALU exe C Program Files x ASUS AI Suite II EPU EPUHelp exe C UPS photos and mail seen in SAFE mode but not regular mode in Internet explorer nor Firf WSTD UPSNA Msgr exe C Program Files x Nuance PDF Viewer Plus pdfPro Hook exe C Program Files x Nuance PaperPort pptd nt exe C Program Files x ControlCenter BrCtrlCntr exe C Program Files x Citrix ICA Client concentr exe C photos and mail seen in SAFE mode but not regular mode in Internet explorer nor Firf Program Files x Citrix Receiver Receiver exe C Program Files x ControlCenter BrCcUxSys exe C Program Files x Citrix SelfServicePlugin SelfServicePlugin exe C Program Files x Citrix ICA Client wfcrun exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar Preserve R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http securesearch lavasoft com s retb amp v amp u AB E F B A B C E D R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO DefaultTabBHO - F AFBF -E - -A FD- D - C Users JIMMY AppData Roaming DefaultTab DefaultTab DefaultTabBHO dll O - BHO URLRedirectionBHO - B F A - E - -BA - B E FF - C PROGRA MICROS Office URLREDIR DLL O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - Toolbar Total Defense Anti-Phishing Toolbar - B - AD - AA-B CF- C AD C - C Program Files Total Defense Internet Security Suite Anti-Phishing x toolbar caIEToolbar dll O - Toolbar Google Toolbar - C B - - d - B - A CD F - C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - HKLM Run HDAudDeck C Program Files x VIA VIAudioi VDeck VDeck exe -r O - HKLM Run RunAIShell C Program Files x ASUS AI Manager AsShellApplication exe O - HKLM Run ASUS Easy Update C Program Files ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/photos-and-mail-seen-in-safe-mode-but-not-regular-mode-in-internet-explorer-nor-firf.1096937/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi, i need help.

I lost a recovery that was on my hard disk due to virus.

I have instaled ubuntu now , but i would like to restore my windows home premium, i have cd key and coa that came with laptop.
Ive tried to order recovery disk from Toshiba, but it says my laptop is too old or not from my region....

What can i do?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?86363-Satellite-L675-faulty-HDD-how-to-recover-to-factory-settings
Relevancy 49.02%

I posted this in other browsers, and got no suggestions, so this section gets more traffic and I'm reposting the situation.

This morning I logged on to Netscape 7.2 as usual. It took longer than usual for it to come up. When it did, it went to Netcape's home. I had Yahoo set up to be my start page. I change it back to Yahoo. Check for e-mail. Have to set up the account again. All previous e-mails are gone. Clicked on bookmarks, they're all gone. Is there a way to recover the e-mails and bookmarks?

A:How to recover e-mail and bookmarks

you mean recover emails from yahoo's email account?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-recover-e-mail-and-bookmarks-91894.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,
I am running Windows XP Professional. While using my outlook express, I had a main folder kept in my Trash which contained important subfolders. When I opened up the main folder I inadvertently deleated the main folder!

When I opened up the trash the Unerase Wizard popped up. I had never used it before (computer is very new) so thought I would understand how - I clicked on the files I thought I needed to RECOVER (about 6) and then did not trust myself to finish and clicked out of the program. Now when I tried to reopen it to follow thru, they are not listed and I cannot find out:
A) if they were recovered
B) where to
C) if I have lost them for good

If anyone has any ideas or is familiar with this please respond as soon as possible. I thank you all.
Lis

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/immediate-help-needed-to-recover-e-mail-please-185024.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Situation: Windows XP Home system had Windows folder irreparably damaged by malware (could no longer boot to desktop under any circumstances).

1. I attached the drive to another system and created an Acronis TrueImage archive of the entire drive.
2. I then returned the drive to the original machine new-installed XP Pro.

Problem: I cannot recover any of the documents from the Desktop folder (among others) of the old Documents and Settings folder on the image archive EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THE PASSWORD.

-- How do I do this? (Note: Since this is an read-only image, I cannot modify permissions, etc; and since the D&S folder's contents are password-protected, I can't simply copy them out of the archive onto the drive.)
Has anybody just made a utility which will recover everything after you enter the password?

A:Recover password-protected Documents and Settings files from an archive?

It has nothing to do with passwords (unless you somehow encrypted your folders), it's a normal situation when a hard drive is moved to a different system or the original hard drive on a system is replaced.Windows provides free access to all files which are not in the Docs & Settings folders on a system partition, while access to these folders takes a tad more effort.Try Taking Ownership - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/277983/recover-password-protected-documents-and-settings-files-from-an-archive/
Relevancy 48.59%

MY HOT MAIL ACCT HAS BEEN HIJACKED SINCE TWO MONTHS I TRIED TO RECOVER BY FILLNG OUT FORMS FIVE TIMES AND MICROSOFT IS SAYING I AM NOT PROVIDING ENOUGH INFORMATION I TOTALY FRUSTrATED THANKS AZIM

A:please help me to recover my hot mail acct is hijacked

Maybe you should close the hijacked Hotmail account and set up a completely new one with different credentials.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/please-help-me-to-recover-my-hot-mail-acct-is-hijacked/1843.html
Relevancy 48.59%

my computer froze up, i am on winxp so office was re-installed under another user name (in hopes that all would not be lost) where/how do i find those files that i had stored in outlook 2000?

A:recover outlook 2000 mail

Try searching the computer for *.pst files. Typically the one you need is with the latest date.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-outlook-2000-mail.220039/
Relevancy 48.59%

Have a Toshiba Satellite L855 with Win 8.1(?). If I start from OFF State, my PC boots up within about 50 seconds. BUT, when the Laptop enters SLEEP mode and I press the Power Button to 'bring it to life' it can take 5 MINUTES before I can do anything. It keeps showing a clock to show it is doing something, but it won't even let me entire PASSWORD. I have looked into POWER OPTIONS to make certain I only go into SLEEP, not HIBERNATE mode, thinking that might be the issue.

Nothing seems to help this. It is inconvenient, but faster for me to shut down all Apps, close everything down and power off, then boot by powering up. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

If so, does anyone have a fix?

A:Slow to 'recover' from SLEEP mode

Make sure that your system has a good hiberfil.sys file. This file is important to Windows 8's ability to boot faster and never should be deleted. It may help to delete and re-create the file or restore it if it's not present.

Move your cursor to the far left-bottom corner of the screen and right-click. Choose "Command Prompt (Admin)." Type the following commands (pressing Enter after each):

cd \

(note that the above command uses a backslash, not a forward slash like the ones below)

powercfg /h off
powercfg /h on
dir /ahs

You should see the file hiberfil.sys with today's date.

type "exit" and press Enter to exit the command window.

Right-click at the bottom left of your screen again and chose "Power Options" then select "Choose what the Power buttons do." Make sure "Turn on fast startup" is checked. If it's is unchecked and greyed out go to "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and then enable it.

Also, make sure that your keyboard is allowed to wake the computer. Go the Device Manager (same menu), expand Keyboards and then double click your keyboard. Under the Power Management tab make sure that "Allow this device to wake the computer" is checked.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/slow-to-recover-from-sleep-mode-717729.html
Relevancy 48.59%

i had a virus and contacted a microsoft tech. he did a remote control of my system and ran a hi tech. spyware scanner and it found 5 infections. he cleaned them. all this was done in safe mode with networking. after he rebooted my computer it would only reboot in safe mode. he said a start up file must have been connected with one of the infections. he said i would need a restore disc to recover the file. i contacted dell and the are sending me a disc. my question is what are the steps i need to follow once i insert the disc. click by click. thanks william lee

A:recover start windows normally mode

It depends what "restore" disk is being referred to. If Dell are sending you factory restore disks then your whole system will be restored to the original condition the PC was in when you bought it. In this case you will lose your data and installed programs.

Try to find out what Windows file was deleted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/201019-recover-start-windows-normally-mode.html
Relevancy 48.59%

In the past, after putting the laptop into Sleep mode, some time later (hours) it would frequently "wake up" and stay on. After the laptop suffered a crash of its hard disk, which had to be replaced and Windows 7 reloaded, the problem has gotten worse. Now it almost always wakes from Sleep mode of its own accord, but when it does so the screen is blank and the computer is unresponsive. If I power it down and restart it, it doesn't start but instead the Caps Lock and Scroll LEDs blink on and off with nothing more happening. The only way I've found to restart it is to unplug the power supply and physically remove the battery for a few seconds before trying again. Any ideas as to what is wrong?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Laptop-won-t-recover-from-Sleep-mode/td-p/5796841
Relevancy 48.59%

Need help please to Mode Recover Safe in Files recover files in safe mode I am unable to boot to normal XP Pro SP OS I cannot access internet with present computer I have an onboard CD drive and have access to a USB external HP Drive I tried copying MY Documents to this drive but it would not work I inserted disc that came with HP drive it would not start automatically Went to Explore and opened folders All the folders appear to be microsoft video files Also attempted to load new Recover Files in Safe Mode Mcafee CD and aborted install due to Norton loaded originally I have the new Dell Install CD and Driver CD install CD is XP Pro SP Please help need instructions to copy wanted documents pictures etc and do an new install Or detailed steps to take to get back into regular windows I should add that i was reinstalling windows when all this started thought all was lost on HD Dell tech support had me remove it after running diagnostic New HD would not install properly either Put old HD in and ran the same check and HD passed Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

I am trying (key word there is "trying") to help a friend out with his pc, running windows ME, the machine appears to be stuck in "safe mode" altho all choices for starting up appear at boot up, normal, step by step, safe mode, the only way it will actually start up is in safe mode. He says it was working OK when he shut it down and when he tried to boot up... "SAFE MODE" only, I did run scan disc, no errors found, I have tried system restore yet when you attempt it, it says NO! can not restore system to this date... pick another restore point, yet no other dates work either. I have EVERYTHING he ever got with the computer, restore CD etc etc. In safe mode his cd drives will not work so I can't install WIn ME again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all!

I have a damaged hard drive from which i can read the file structure and all in Explorer, but i cannot copy files to my healthy drive. On this hd there is very precious mailboxes(dbx, mbx or whatever outlook express uses) i can view the files in Total Commanders Quick View, but not copy them. Please help me! Is there any nice tools for this sort of problems?

A:Recover mail from corrupt hard drive

What kind of error do you get?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-mail-from-corrupt-hard-drive.424493/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi,

Would appreciate any help, advice, suggestions-thanks!!!

My Windows Vista Business Laptop with Outlook died(Thanks a lot, Norton). I managed to save the email as .pst files. I have a working computer with Windows 7 home Premium available to me which has Windows Live Mail which I have never used. Am I able to recover the contents of my email .pst files...somehow?

I'm not very tech savvy so if anybody knows some novice friendly ways or links to clear easy instructions on how to resolve this problem I would be very grateful!

Thanks very much...Cheers and have a good day

A:how to recover .pst files with Windows Live Mail?

Here are a couple different troubleshooting tips that should be able to help you solve you problem!

Try following steps:

Click File
Click import/export
then Export to a file.
Select Personal folder (pst) as your export type.
Select the folder you want to export (you may want to move them into a subfolder to make sure you only get the ones you want)
click next
save the file to your desktop, or some other place.

Download & install Mailstore Home from http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx
Use Mailstore to open your Outlook.pst file
Export to "File System" using the eml format
(Export to a folder such as C:\temp\email)
In Windows Live Mail use the Import Function
Select "Windows Mail" format
Select the folder that you used above as the location for the exported mail messages
Source: http://forums.techarena.in/technology-internet/1118371.htm

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-pst-files-with-windows-live-mail.938688/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi everybody:

I recently switched for Windows 7 to Windows 10 and when I opened WIndows Live Mail I saw it was empty. I found that the messages where in the next folder:
C:\Users\Myuser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
I did a copy of that folder (and the rest of the Windows Live folders), I renamed the folders and tried to reopen WLM to see if the folders wher recreated. They weren't recreated.

So I unistalled WLM. I wanted to install it again and find the new folders to replace the with the original ones. But Windows Live Essentials is not supported for WIndows 10 (apparently it works if you come from WIndows 10, but you can't install it again).

So now I have all the copies of the WL folders, but I don't know how to reover that info. Any idea?

A:Recover Windows live mail info

I do not have an answer for you.

However, I would like to clarify that one can reinstall WLM onto a Windows 10 anytime one wants.
I did that several times when I had to do a Clean Install of Windows 10. Reinstalling WLM was never an issue.

It is now simply called Windows Essentials. MS has long since ditched the word " Live".
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/essentials

http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/46736-recover-windows-live-mail-info.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I was setting up a signature in windows 8 mail, it requires that the sync email box be checked. I exited the setup screen and the program began to sync to (nothing?) no warning that what was about to happen is the loss of all email in the account. Can I recover my emails from the apps EML? and how. Since I am using Gmail and not clearing the server, all of my incoming email is accessible, My sent mail is not accessible. This seems like a heavy price to pay for setting up a signature.

A:How do I recover lost email in Windows 8 Mail

Hi jmcdill6,

Try going in to account and changing "download email from" to "Anytime"

To do this:
1. While in your gmail account press + I
2. click "account"
3. Click in to your Gmail account
4. You should see a field "Download Email" on the drop down box change that to "Anytime"

(please see the screenshot below from Ectech)

Have you tried going in to accounts and removing your Gmail account and then adding the gmail account again .

To do this:
1. While in your gmail account press + I
2. click "account"
3. Click in to your Gmail Account, scroll to the bottom and click "Remove Account"
4. Then you can add the account again and let it synchronize

Give that a try.

Cheers,
Harry

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/41230-how-do-i-recover-lost-email-windows-8-mail.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have done what you requested DDS Ver - - - NTFSAMD Internet Explorer Run by Wangsherman at on - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - AV McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Enabled Updated - - EA -ABB - B EB SP Windows Defender Disabled I recover contacts address was after E-mail my do How hijacked? my Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Enabled Updated D B - E- - - C A FW McAfee Firewall Enabled BE ED - A B- FFF- EC-B C Running Processes C windows How do I recover my contacts after my E-mail address was hijacked? system wininit exe C windows system lsm exe C windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted How do I recover my contacts after my E-mail address was hijacked? C windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C windows System spoolsv exe C windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Microsoft BingBar BBSvc exe C windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Windows jmesoft Service exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee McSvcHost McSvHost exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mfevtps exe C Program Files x Common Files Intuit QuickBooks QBCFMonitorService exe C windows system rundll exe C windows system rundll exe C windows SysWOW rundll exe C Program Files x Common Files Intuit DataProtect QBIDPService exe C PROGRA Intuit QUICKB QBDBMgrN exe C windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mcshield exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mfefire exe C windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C windows system Dwm exe C windows Explorer EXE C windows system taskhost exe C windows system taskeng exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe C Program Files x Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C ProgramData FLEXnet Connect ISUSPM exe C Windows jmesoft hotkey exe C Program Files mcafee com agent mcagent exe C Program Files Lenovo Lenovo Eye Distance System Lenovo Eye Distance System exe C Program Files Lenovo Lenovo Brightness System Lenovo Dynamic Brightness System exe C Program Files x Lenovo Power Go CLMLSvc exe C Program Files x HP HP Software Update hpwuschd exe C Program Files x Common Files Intuit QuickBooks QBUpdate qbupdate exe C Windows jmesoft JME LOAD exe C Program Files x Common Files Intuit QuickBooks QBWebConnector QBWebConnector exe C Program Files x Intuit QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions QBW EXE C windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files PC Optimizer Pro PCOptProTrays exe C Program Files PC Optimizer Pro PCOptimizerPro exe C Program Files x Intel Intel R Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files x Intel Intel R Management Engine Components UNS UNS exe C windows system taskeng exe C windows servicing TrustedInstaller exe C windows system wuauclt exe C windows Microsoft Net Framework v WPF PresentationFontCache exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbarUser exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C windows system SearchFilterHost exe C windows SysWOW cmd exe C windows system conhost exe C windows SysWOW cscript exe C windows system wbem wmiprvse exe Pseudo HJT Report uDefault Page URL hxxp www google com ig redirectdomain brand LEND amp bmod LEND uStart Page hxxp www google com ig redirectdomai... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/how-do-i-recover-my-contacts-after-my-e-mail-address-was-hijacked-654111.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello guys.

Before reinstall windows 7 x64 I made backup of Windows Live Mail folder.
After installation of win7 I moved backup back but still need passwords of my accounts.
Also I made *.iaf files before OS refreshing, and tried to restore passwords from iaf files. Unsuccessfully

I tried some programs to recover passwords unsuccessfully
bulletspassview
mailpv
LiveMailPasswordDecryptor
MailPasswordDecryptor
Internet Password Breaker v2.0

Need help.
Thank you in advance.

A:How can I recover passwords of windows live mail?

Contact your email provider, prove your identity, and they will issues new passwords.

We cannot help you with hacking passwords.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/337697-how-can-i-recover-passwords-windows-live-mail.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help.

I poured water into my Dell Inspiron N5010. CPU fried; hard drive okay. Had not exported email (Windows Live) contacts. Have connected old drive to new laptop (HP) with SATA cable; can get to everything.

I have found several different answers to where on the drive Windows Live stores contacts. I have tried copying and pasting (overwriting) several such files, hoping to simply move the contacts, but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you!

A:Recover mail, never exported, from old hard drive?

what do you mean by no avail? what error message or you getting? Have you tried taking ownership of the files?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/recover-mail-never-exported-from-old-hard-drive-671736.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have an Acer Emachines E Laptop I have Windows Ultimate bit OS installed Recently I reformatted my system installing Windows on it Since then I am having problem with sleep mode I cannot recover from sleep mode even after pressing boot button Pressing enter taping or moving fingers on mouse When I press enter in the sleep mode the system starts and blue light also starts blinking But there is no display whatsoever Every time I have to hard boot my system by holding boot button for a while and then rebooting I can set it to not go into from doesn't sleep mode! Laptop recover sleep or hibernation but thats not a solution just a temporary remedy I googled this problem but none of the solutions worked Searched through windows seven forums but didn t found Laptop doesn't recover from sleep mode! anything Any help on this issue would be appreciated Thanks a lot I searched this forum and have already gone through this related post and changed power settings accordingly but it did not fix the issue http www bleepingcomputer com forums topic Laptop doesn't recover from sleep mode! html Here is my Microsoft Diagnostic Tool generated report Diagnostic Laptop doesn't recover from sleep mode! Report ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data-- Validation Code Cached Online Validation Code N A hr xc f Windows Product Key - -GJY -VJBQ -HYRR Windows Product Key Hash W nm F UPXrCkY xUhXb g Windows Product ID -OEM- - Windows Product ID Type Windows License Type OEM SLP Windows OS version ID C D -C C- E -AA C- EFB Is Admin Yes TestCab x LegitcheckControl ActiveX N A hr x Signed By N A hr x Product Name Windows Ultimate Architecture x Build lab win gdr - TTS Error Validation Diagnostic Resolution Status N A Vista WgaER Data-- ThreatID s N A hr x Version N A hr x Windows XP Notifications Data-- Cached Result N A hr x File Exists No Version N A hr x WgaTray exe Signed By N A hr x WgaLogon dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Notifications Data-- Cached Result N A hr x Version N A hr x OGAExec exe Signed By N A hr x OGAAddin dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Data-- Office Status N A OGA Version N A x Signed By N A hr x Office Diagnostics D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - Browser Data-- Proxy settings N A User Agent Mozilla compatible MSIE Win Default Browser C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe Download signed ActiveX controls Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control Disabled Active scripting Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting Allowed File Scan Data-- File Mismatch C Windows system wat watadminsvc exe Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat npwatweb dll Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat watux exe Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat watweb dll Hr x Other data-- Office Details lt GenuineResults gt lt MachineData gt lt UGUID gt C D -C C- E -AA C- EFB lt UGUID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt OS gt lt OS gt lt Architecture gt x lt Architecture gt lt PKey gt - - - -HYRR lt PKey gt lt PID gt -OEM- - lt PID gt lt PIDType gt lt PIDType gt lt SID gt S- - - - - - lt SID gt lt SYSTEM gt lt Manufacturer gt eMachines lt Manufacturer gt lt Model gt eMachines E lt Model gt lt SYSTEM gt lt BIOS gt lt Manufacturer gt eMachines lt Manufacturer gt lt Version gt V lt Version gt lt SMBIOSVersion major quot quot minor quot quot gt lt Date gt lt Date gt lt BIOS gt lt HWID gt FDBB E lt HWID gt lt UserLCID gt lt UserLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt TimeZone gt India Standard Time GMT lt TimeZone gt lt iJoin gt lt iJoin gt lt SBID gt lt stat gt lt stat gt lt msppid gt lt msppid gt lt name gt lt name gt lt model gt lt model gt lt SBID gt lt OEM gt lt OEMID gt ACRSYS lt OEMID gt lt OEMTableID gt ACRPRDCT lt OEMTableID gt lt OEM gt lt GANotification gt lt MachineData gt lt S... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/363328/laptop-doesnt-recover-from-sleep-mode/
Relevancy 48.16%

Is there a way to recover the files needed for dual booting Win and XP When I tried unsuccessfully to install a SSD I had multiple instances of the NTLDR getting hosed I eventually discovered that I could repair the file with my recovery disk Before this I could boot to Win or XP by selecting from the Windows created menu at bootup Now I can only boot Win I tried to solve the problem with EasyBCD but it didn't work I couldn't figure out what had to be done I have some safe images of my can mode, boot it? lost recover I dual old installation that presumably have the proper boot files on them I would like to know what files to find and where to copy them I do not want to install the full images since they were made a long time ago and lost dual boot mode, can I recover it? I would end up with days of work trying to recover Can I get back to dual booting the XP partition is intact by copying some files from my images to the proper place If so what files do I copy and where do I put them

A:lost dual boot mode, can I recover it?

Have you tried installing EasyBCD 2.0 beta to WIn7 and adding XP on the Add/Remove tab? Accept offered boot files, let it autocomplete, Save, Restart.

Please post back a screenshot of your full Disk Management drive map and listings, using Snipping Tool in Start Menu. Tell us what is on which partition.

Also please tell us more about the images you have: what they contain exactly, what program they were made by. Do you still need to install the SSD?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/96842-lost-dual-boot-mode-can-i-recover.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello SO wonderful PC masterminds HERE IS MY PROBLEM I start my windows bit Desktop It loads up super fast soild state drive It freezes on the welcome scree log in screen Can only move the mouse A If I press the quot restart quot button on my pc it goes to the recovery mode and can't fix the issue It then powers down automatically when I click ok Upon restarting and booting up it works fine B If I hold the power Restarts in recover screen. into mode.. at welcome/log Freezes Then... button to turn off the pc and then start the pc again it boots and runs fine This has happened about weeks ago where the pc would freeze immediately but only after logging in It started freezing intermittently but grew to every time it logged in I eventually went into safe mode and stopped all start up programs besides avast and its been booting logging in fine with no freezes after that HOWEVER IT JUST STARTED HAPPENING AGAIN Freezes at welcome/log in screen. Restarts into recover mode.. Then... TODAY I have updated the dm log collector file via Rar Any help is appreciated Looking forward to it Thankyou

A:Freezes at welcome/log in screen. Restarts into recover mode.. Then...

Edit: Sorry I didn't read thoroughly. Still check msconfig again to see if something has crawled back in.
Disable non-Microsoft services too, as described in tutorial.

Load defaults in BIOS.
Try a clean startup - Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup
See Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/374449-freezes-welcome-log-screen-restarts-into-recover-mode-then.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I need help fixing it through recovery console. How would i do that?My boot.ini file looks like this: (I had to type it myself so there may be spelling erros but I doubled checked). [boot loader]redirect =useredirect baudrate =biossettingstimeout =20default = multi<0>rdisk<0>Partition<1>\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi<0>rdisk<0>Partition<1>\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetectmulti<0>rdisk<0>Partition<1>\WINDOWS="Windows Xp" /fastdetectmulti<0>rdisk<0>Partition<1>\WINDOWS="Robenolt" /fastdetectmulti<0>rdisk<0>Partition<1>\WINDOWS="\fastdetect" /fastdetectAnyways someone told me it should look like this:[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

A:Need Help Fixing The Boot.INI through recover console mode

If you type "bootcfg /rebuild" in the Recovery Console it will rebuild the boot.ini file.http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/241922/need-help-fixing-the-bootini-through-recover-console-mode/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a fairly new Vista desktop with a Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter. When I bring the computer out of sleep mode the adapter will often stay in a disconnected mode. When I check the device manager status it will show a problem with a "Windows has detected a problem with your device" message. Everything works fine on reboot, however. Also, the only time I have a problem with it is coming out of an extended sleep period. Any help?

Relevancy 48.16%

I'm having an issue with my tower that I built and I'm wondering if starting with a fresh OS installation will do the trick My current setup is one hard drive for nothing but the OS and programs and multiple other drives to save files to My issue is that I use the Windows Backup utility to backup the drives that contain important information If I were to install a fresh copy of the OS I imagine that the system wouldn't realize that I've performed a backup on the other drives before and would want to do a complete backup all over again rather than being able to do an incremental backup Does anybody know how to avoid this issue Is there a way to backup the settings and log files of the Windows Backup utility to move to the new OS The drive letters and everything else will be the exact same as they are right now This also makes me curios of how other backup programs behave when the OS has Keep OS and Reinstall Backup Settings to be Reinstall OS and Keep Backup Settings reinstalled Any information is appreciated Thank you for your help

A:Reinstall OS and Keep Backup Settings

If you reinstall, you start with a blank sheet.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/259586-reinstall-os-keep-backup-settings.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I am using Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. The system has been running unchanged (except for regular updates from Microsoft) for several years and thus collected a lot of "garbage"and I wish to reinstall it from scratch.

I am severely visually impaired and, as a consequence, need a screen magnifier (ZoomText). I have made many customizations to "tame" the Windows 7 GUI so that it can be used with the screen magnifier. This taming process took so much time that the prospect of redoing it is sufficiently daunting that I've avoided the reinstallation for over a year and a half. Are there files or registry settings or something that I can save before reinstallation and apply them subsequent to it so that I can restore all or most of the customizations to the GUI after reinstallation?

A:Saving OS GUI settings across reinstall

Quote: Originally Posted by sierrabravo

I am using Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. The system has been running unchanged (except for regular updates from Microsoft) for several years and thus collected a lot of "garbage"and I wish to reinstall it from scratch.

I am severely visually impaired and, as a consequence, need a screen magnifier (ZoomText). I have made many customizations to "tame" the Windows 7 GUI so that it can be used with the screen magnifier. This taming process took so much time that the prospect of redoing it is sufficiently daunting that I've avoided the reinstallation for over a year and a half. Are there files or registry settings or something that I can save before reinstallation and apply them subsequent to it so that I can restore all or most of the customizations to the GUI after reinstallation?

Does it run slow and you think a clean install would help speed it up or is it OK and you just feel it is time for a Clean Install. If the PC is running smooth, leave it along.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/319094-saving-os-gui-settings-across-reinstall.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi, hoping someone can assist with this problem, O/S XP sp3, I recently reinstalled factory settings to this computer,  after removing expired programs and whilst updating to MSE I thought that the sluggishness was from a virus. however this has now been checked and confirmed no virus present.

The computer takes forever to load and function, I fear problems exist in the in the operating system itself, any thoughts on this will be appreciated 

many thanks for any interest

A:reinstall of factory settings

I'd try the reset to factory defaults again...check the system.  If no problems...then I would begin removing whatever, one program at a time, checking the system for functionality after each removal.

I would apply the same caution when installing programs.

I would also run a hard drive diagnostic if the same scenario happens again...or even before beginning any reinstall of Windows.

Why did you restall to factory settings, to begin with?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/512491/reinstall-of-factory-settings/
Relevancy 47.73%

I installed windows live mail on an XP machine 2 months ago, when my bridged version of Win-7 crashed for the 3rd time, and all the mail I had on the crashed Win-7 machine showed up on the XP machine.
I had to delete hundreds of unwanted mail. I have done this 4 times, one each for 2 crashed Win-7 upgrade installs, and on the XP.
Today, I set up my new win-7 machine, and installed Windows Live Mail. It only collected today's e-mails, and nothing else.
I thought Live Mail held messages for 30 days (back-up). How do I get to them?

A:How do you recover lost e-mails in Windows Live Mail?

What type of email account is the WLM program set up to access: POP3, IMAP, or HTTP?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/195620-how-do-you-recover-lost-e-mails-windows-live-mail.html
Relevancy 47.73%

After recovering my hijacked E-mail address, all my contacts are gone. I guess the hijacker took my contacts and has sent E-mails to all of them requesting for money to be sent to Spain. How can I recover my contacts?

A:How to Recover missing contacts after recovering hijacked E-mail

What email client are you using?

Before do much else, I would be sure you are no longer infected . . follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-recover-missing-contacts-after-recovering-hijacked-e-mail-653924.html
Relevancy 47.73%

At times, some miskeying causes the email that I am still writing, to completely vanish. It can NOT be found in Drafts, or Outbox. Is there a method of recovering it ?

A:How to recover email lost from Windows Live Mail ?

Try using the "Undo" icon on the top left corner, or hit the Ctrl+Z buttons.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-recover-email-lost-from-windows-live-mail-792834.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Last week Windows 7 failed to boot and the error message said bootmgr missing. I tried to resolve this using both a Windows 7 repair disc and the original Windows 7 installation disc, but eventually had to resort to a system restore which solved the boot problem.
According to what I read only the Windows system should be affected by this and, indeed, all of my documents and programmes are unaffected. Windows Live Mail Does not appear to be part of the Windows system as it has to be installed separately. Despite ths the Windows Live Mail Messages downloaded since the restore point are missing. There are lots of hints on how to recover deleted Windows Mail messages but I can find nothing on recovering lost(undeleted) messages
Is it possible to recover these?

A:Recover lost Windows Live Mail messages.

Hi smcc42,
Your messages should still be on your Servers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/308904-recover-lost-windows-live-mail-messages.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi all circa Sept I put a password on my computer A couple how I EasyTransfers after can failed recover my e-mail Outlook.pst SystemRestores of days later when i tried to log-on I received an error message how can I recover my Outlook.pst e-mail after failed SystemRestores EasyTransfers and was directed by MS help to log-on by using Safe Mode then for me to edit the Registry by deleting the offending profile entry key well' I deleted the last entry of the four but then thought to delete the first three as well - This how can I recover my Outlook.pst e-mail after failed SystemRestores EasyTransfers caused major problems for my System I attempted to correct these by using System Restore -numerous times- to some degree these SRs restored the deleted registry profile entries but despite having some success for the life of me I couldn't can't restore ANY of my years worth of prior e-mail that e-mail and other data Had been backed-up to a clone on a flash drive on Aug I later noticed that the data e-mail photos docx from - - - would also be missing SO I thought to attempt to restore this missing data I would use my Vista OS's Easy Transfer program with this flash drive clone again which was created - - -numerous times- my computer is working as best it can so to speak and that is fairly nicely i can browse although slow because since the Easy Transfers my GB HDD has only GB free - I re-installed Spotify and it works good - i downloaded and installed successfully a new free anti-virus program Avast as AVG Free was is now not able to install -due to quot firewall registry settings quot would not update from AVG properly - the latest difference since - is that if i e-mail to a facebook e-mail address using my copy of MSOutlook it gets bounced due to an quot auth quot issue s so I must e-mail to facebook using the online Yahoo com Mail online interface e-mail composer - using my flash drive clone I was able to Copy and Paste my photos sans those taken saved between - and - - I decided to wait before copying and pasting my docxs a spirited discussion of my first outreaches regarding this problem are located at www piriform com use keywords quot Macrium quot and me quot Andy G quot this data loss experience has been quite tragic for me I also did finally use Macrium Reflect Free to quot Make an Exact Copy quot -Image- this time -Not- making a nefarious Clone of -my GB C HDD - using my previously empty GB flash drive- This Image file i think took up GB this could have been i will say that using a new user name now quot User quot i have been able to restore much functionality to my machine i out of necessity had to experiment with user names Before my problem IIRC i was had one account named quot owner quot which was also as administator During the problem using multiple System Restores then Vista's Easy Transfer using my flash drive clone - there would appear in one of the directories a vertical list owner owner I tried to use it again but it merely got added to the path as a subsequent duplicate name and now won't let me use it because it is already being used and when i started using quot user quot as my new account name it saved the quot owner quot account identity settings to a folder on my desktop What I really treasure is my old and recent - - - e-mail I just can't find it anywhere not on my HDD or its clone the www Piriform com discussion might point out to you that during my Vista's multiple Easy Transfer attempts the two drives my GB HDD and its GB flash drive clone may have switched identities and caused loss of data please help thank-you Andy G

A:how can I recover my Outlook.pst e-mail after failed SystemRestores EasyTransfers

solved USB Flash drive "Insert drive into H: drive" data loss/lock/error
Re: cloned a 80G HDD to a 128G USB Flash stick
Nov 29, 2014

this link helped me:

http://www.techspot.com/community/to...4/#post-875300

Andy
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2014 6:16 PM
Subject: cloned a 80G HDD to a 128G USB Flash stick

hi all,

happy holidays, etc.

this is an old issue, yet i am still working on it

in July 2013; I cloned my 80G HDD onto a 128G USB Flash stick

in Sept. 2013; I had a data loss...

so, I thought to recover my data using this 128G clone...

I put this 128G Flash stick into my computer, and it showed up as a Local drive, yet was inaccessible and with its LED flashing incessantly...
{this was after, I treated this 128G USB flash stick as if it were a whole computer, and I then attempted to use/misused Win Vista's EasyTransfer program in a failed attempt to restore my lost data }

I later ran CHKDSK /f /r on it, and Chkdsk repaired and/or deleted about 7 "attributes" files

after which, this 128G Flash, only shows up as a Removable Storage(not Local) drive.. and remains locked/data inaccessible yet without the flashing LED

the USB drive, when I clicked on it in My Computer, would give the/an error message "Insert drive into H: drive"... Insert? a drive? into my tiny USB drive? which isn't even a CD or DVD drive? ... I tried all the free home remedy data recovery tools that I could find... then I snail-mailed this thumb drive to my computer whiz baby brother... finally, I purchased {for $99.}, and downloaded Seagate's data recovery tool, and had my brother return the drive... this was when I found the link above and it's freeware DriveCleanUp program, and this solved my issue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what I think was/still is "the problem"/locked drive issue... is that the clone looks for the same C:\ assignation as my HDD{which, btw, I had been able to upgrade to 320G}

the problem now, I guess, is where can I find an old XP or Vista computer, to fool around with changing the C:\ drive letter?? [as I'm afraid to experiment on this my only one of my two working <Vista> machines]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^^^^^^
this wasn't the problem... my issue was caused by left-over USB Flash storage and other USB drivers which once ins... Read more

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/301393-how-can-i-recover-my-outlook-pst-e-mail-after-failed-systemrestores-easytransfers.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I was drafting a long mail (over 3 hours of work based on research), it was intermittently draft saved in Outlook (office 2010) -- accidently got deleted. Need help can someone guide me please

A:SOS Need help recover accidentally deleted draft mail outlook

Well, double check your Deleted mail folder & if not there have a look at this for starters: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sos-need-help-recover-accidentally-deleted-draft-mail-outlook.1048282/
Relevancy 47.73%

At times, some miskeying causes the email that I am still writing, to completely vanish. It can NOT be found in Drafts, or Outbox. Is there a method of recovering it ?

A:How to recover email lost from Windows Live Mail ?

You are out of luck. There is no way to retrieve an unsaved draft.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/320964-how-recover-email-lost-windows-live-mail.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi, I installed W8 on my new system thinking it automatically uses and takes advantage of the UEFI and new partition system, and after a week of use and setting up my new system just the way I like it, I really don't feel like having to go through all that again if not needed. So my question is: Is it possible to recover a W8 backup (made in legacy BIOS mode using W7 File Recovery), to a (U)EFI W8 installation. Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been answered. (couldn't find a topic about this)

A:Recover W8 backup made in legacy mode to (U)EFI install

So my question is: Is it possible to recover a Windows 8 backup (made in legacy BIOS mode using W7 File Recovery), to a (U)EFI Windows 8 installation.

NO. as Windows backup will reformat to the same as when backup was made.

Welcome to EightForums.
You can take a look at this thread:
Solved Migrate BIOS x64 install to UEFI. - Windows 7 Help Forums
but you will need a paid version of Paragon for Windows 8.
PARAGON Software Group - partition manager, drive backup, hard disk partitioning

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/24521-recover-w8-backup-made-legacy-mode-u-efi-install.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Problem: Computer doesn't recover from sleep mode and restarts (black screen -option screen - automatic start option selected ). After start up - Win7 displays dialog box
'Windows has recovered from unexpected shutdown'
System spec:
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit Operating System
Original Installed OS on system
OEM version
Age of system hardware - less than a year
Age of OS installation - less than a year
(any assistance greatly appreciated)

A:Black Screen (BSOD) - does not recover from sleep mode

Quote: Originally Posted by Sopey

Problem: Computer doesn't recover from sleep mode and restarts (black screen -option screen - automatic start option selected ). After start up - Win7 displays dialog box
'Windows has recovered from unexpected shutdown'
System spec:
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit Operating System
Original Installed OS on system
OEM version
Age of system hardware - less than a year
Age of OS installation - less than a year
(any assistance greatly appreciated)

Virtually identical and Related to atikmdag.sys ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver. I would re-install newest driver using this method.

When upgrading your graphic driver you MUST remove all traces of the current driver. In order to do that we recommend using

Phyxion.net - Driver Sweeper

When it is removed then download and install the fresh copy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/185200-black-screen-bsod-does-not-recover-sleep-mode.html
Relevancy 47.73%

My Vaio Laptop after running Ashampoo Maic Defrag wont start repri option on win install CD wont work cant find a problem so I figure taht like with XP you can reinstall the system but I can not find a way to do it without lossing all my settings any ideas a bad way to start to Win7 settings? How without reinstall loosing the year have to work How to reinstall Win7 without loosing settings? anb spend the whole day with no luck this is another question ---------------------------- My Vaio Laptop can boot from a regular win with no problem the reapir option is not working to fix the computer so I want to use another bootable CD to diagnose the proble but simply wont boor from How to reinstall Win7 without loosing settings? another bootable CD but win instal DVD I try Hirens CD basic bootable xp lite with diagnostics and so on and the only CD that can boot from is the win instal any ideas I'm going crazy with this by the way the CD's that I want to use they work in another computer ok M Lagsbartt

A:How to reinstall Win7 without loosing settings?

Simplest thing would be to use the "system restore" function in Windows 7 to restore to a date prior to using Ashampoo.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/52089-how-reinstall-win7-without-loosing-settings.html
Relevancy 47.73%

hi all i pretty much have backed up and reinstalled all possible how backup reinstall settings as system many as i before do versions of windows since the beginning and have done it some how do i backup as many system settings as possible before reinstall pretty technical ways as well doing system restores using sysvol information easy transfer FAST Windows Backup ghost nero copy and paste rebuild etc what im looking for this time around is the easiest way to backup as many system settings as possible but dump the registry codecs and drivers so that when i reinstall i have a clean start with hardware and system both I would prefer a fresh install and will be going onto a freshly formatted drive I would like to backup the apps as well if theres a program that will do that and let me have a new registry that it can place the backed up apps individually This PC has Win x Ult and the new install will be on my other PC where ill want to apply these settings to after im done Im switching roles on an arch linux box with a win x ult machine so one will get the other and vice versa Of course the one with the newer faster components will be the one thats getting the new windows

A:how do i backup as many system settings as possible before reinstall

wolffdogg,

Despite all of the wonder programs out there:

Do NOT use them.

Stick to that which works. Reinstall all of those programs dear to your heart.

Some programs make a move or reinstall easy and some don't.

With Firefox, you save your profile and then copy the profile over the fresh profile.

Microsoft Office has never come up with an easy scheme for moving all settings from all office products from one computer to another.

Glad to hear that you plan to do a clean install.

There are several tutorials here in the tutorial section on various install/reinstall/update scenarios.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/191114-how-do-i-backup-many-system-settings-possible-before-reinstall.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi Guys,

My computer has spyware on it.
Reading the forum here removing it is a complex process.
My computer often freeze too.

I am thinking to reinstall my Win 2000 but I don't want to reformat.
How to reinstall while keeping all the settings in tact?

It's OK if some aplications not working after reinstall.
Reinstalling apps are no problem.
Its the setting that I want to avoid.

I remember reading about deleting the win directory and than something but after searching this forum I can't find them again.

Please help me with the procedure.
Thank you

Relevancy 47.73%

I want to remove all my registry errors and was wondering if I reinstall windows completely does that resest all of the registry?

A:Does a reinstall of win 7 set registry to factory settings?

Hi and welcome to Seven Forums.

Yes you'll have a new Registry.
First you should back up your Data that you want to keep.

How are you getting registry errors?

Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220655-does-reinstall-win-7-set-registry-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Is there any way to save these windows 7 settings: windows explorer settings, theme settings, file association, taskbar settings? Maybe some program that can do this?

I know Windows 7 has Windows Easy Transfer option, but it doesn't save this type of settings.

A:Backup Windows 7 settings before reinstall?

Hi peter7277 and welcome to Seven Forums. I apologize no one has answered you questions. You have had many views so I suspect there is no such program, I haven't heard of one at least.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/316978-backup-windows-7-settings-before-reinstall.html
Relevancy 47.73%

hi people!!!!  if you reinstall windows, does it change your settings?or do you have the same ones. i'm having boatloadsof many daysworth of trouble. anybody have a life preserver? Edit: Moved topic from Networking to the more appropriate forum. I assumed the OS in question was XP based on previous posts ~ Animal

A:if you reinstall windows, does it change your settings?

Yes if you reinstall the OS(Windows Operating System) it's like going back to default right out of the box. No OS = No known settings.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518811/if-you-reinstall-windows-does-it-change-your-settings/
Relevancy 47.3%

GURU S Recover Need Book, E-mail Address Lost 'favorites' To And Messages help much needed I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition on Need To Recover Lost E-mail Address Book, Messages And 'favorites' a one year old Gateway GM desktop computer running an Intel Pentium Processor at GHZ E-mail amp Internet along with everything else has been working fine for past year Last week for the first time ever I began receiving failure to load notices during boot up of Windows Over days these alerts grew in number to about five They included amongst others runn dll failed to load etc Since purchasing this computer I have had only the original GB hard drive installed there is room for an additional two Geek Squad did a full system test over several hours and confirmed as OK my mother board processor RAM and hard drive They speculated that a Windows XP software issue was the problem They suggested I either fully re-load the operating system which would require re-formatting the drive resulting in loss of all data or instead merely do a repair installation which would not require re-formatting They did the latter On the same day I had Geek Squad install an additional new GB hard drive and install Windows XP Media Center Edition on it Bios is set to read the operating system from only this new drive At this time only the original GB and new GB hard drives are installed Both are SATA drives from Seagate System is now working fine again in terms of receiving e-mail Outlook Express and Microsoft Internet Explorer However when reading drive two the original GB hard drive I cannot see any sent or received e-mails prior to the date the operating system crashed last week Nor can I see my address books to any of my six e-mail accounts I need my address books desperately along with all sent and received e-mails Somewhere this information is still on the original GB hard drive I would like to recover my e-mail address books along with all sent and received e-mails to each of my six accounts Also I need to recover my listings in favorites and transfer this information along with my e-mail account information over to my new GB hard drive Any ideas Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer If prefered you can e-mail me directly at Moderator Edit email addy removed to protect the member from spambots Vanderbilt

A:Need To Recover Lost E-mail Address Book, Messages And 'favorites'

sorry I am lost here, master drive is the new one with new xpsystem on it, slave drive is the old drive with your backed up data, what happened to that old system, did you wipe it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/68756/need-to-recover-lost-e-mail-address-book-messages-and-favorites/
Relevancy 47.3%

hi By mistake i ran DEL C WINDOWS SYSTEM dll in safe mode with command prompt so as to remove one of dll how files deleted in recover command mode to safe with prompt files which seemed to be a Mal ware which i am still not able to delete But because of this i have lost all files with extention dll got deleted from system folder After this i have to repair the windows using windows C D as my Windows went corrupt Now that i have Repaired windows i am still getting lots of error regarding various file name with extension dll I was wondering If anyone can how to recover deleted files in safe mode with command prompt tell me if there is any way to recover the lost files or can suggest any alternative way to get this fixed plzz Help my logfile of HijackThis is patsed below Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Kerio Personal Firewall kpf ss exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Antivirus PsCtrls exe C Program Files Common Files Panda Software PavShld pavprsrv exe C Program Files Kerio Personal Firewall kpf gui exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Antivirus PsImSvc exe C WINDOWS system RunDll exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Antivirus APVXDWIN EXE C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files DU Meter DUMeter exe C WINDOWS LHotkey exe C PROGRA TWEAKM TMTray exe C Program Files TweakNow PowerPack RAM XP exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C WINDOWS system Rundll exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Kerio Personal Firewall kpf gui exe C Program Files Sify Broadband BBClient exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C WINDOWS system notepad exe C Program Files Active Data Recovery Services Active File Recovery FileRecovery exe C Program Files Active Data Recovery Services Active File Recovery FileRecovery exe C Program Files Opera opera exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www sify com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - Toolbar FlashGet Bar - E E AB-F - D - D - BA E - C PROGRA FLASHGET fgiebar dll O - HKLM Run APVXDWIN quot C Program Files Panda Security Panda Antivirus APVXDWIN EXE quot s O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run DU Meter C Program Files DU Meter DUMeter exe O - HKLM Run LHotkey LHotkey exe O - HKLM Run ISUSPM quot C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService ISUSPM exe quot -scheduler O - HKLM Run TweakMASTER C PROGRA TWEAKM TMTray exe O - HKLM Run RAM Idle Professional C Program Files TweakNow PowerPack RAM XP exe O - HKLM Run NBKeyScan quot C Program Files Nero Nero Nero BackItUp NBKeyScan exe quot O - HKLM Run ac fda f rundll exe quot C WINDOWS system dfaxniuv dll quot b O - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE O - HKLM Run Tpscrex C Program Files MSTpscre Tpscrex exe O - HKLM Run BMaf ce b Rundll exe quot C WINDOWS system bivdoxiq dll quot s O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run SifyBB C Program Files Sify Broadband BBImpSec exe O - HKCU Software Policies Microsoft Internet Explorer Control Panel present O - Extra context menu item amp Clean Traces - C Program Files DAP Privacy Package dapcleanerie htm O - Extra context menu item amp Download with amp DAP - C Program Files DAP dapextie htm O - Extra context menu item Add to amp LinkFox - res C PROGRA TWEAKM TweakBHO dll IESCRIPT O - Extra context menu item Download amp all with DAP - C Program Files DAP dapextie htm O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res D MICROO Office EXCEL E... Read more

A:how to recover deleted files in safe mode with command prompt

plz help.....................................

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-deleted-files-in-safe-mode-with-command-prompt.698187/
Relevancy 47.3%

hey guys my setup goes a little like this i processor x gb ddr corsair ram asus p x d-e motherboard ati radeon gpu- gb video card just freshly set up by NCIX in vancouver so got the system with windows bit freshly installed installed all my drivers and whatnot no or restore/recover Brand system mode BSOD, PC, safe new fired up good ol starcraft here are the issues that occured started up starcraft weird black squares filled the entire screen quickly exited and restarted system started up starcraft again everything was going fine for about minutes then i got the blue screen of death and my computer was making loud clicking noises shut computer off everything was working fine until today computer will not start freezes on windows loading screen ran a windows memory test no errors appeared cannot restore windows cannot recover from a cd error cannot copy file to ram i am so frustrated been working on this for hours and hours any help or diagnosis Brand new PC, BSOD, no safe mode or system restore/recover of any sort would be really appreciated thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-pc-bsod-no-safe-mode-or-system-restore-recover.156401/
Relevancy 46.87%

My hard drive had a bad block I purchased a new one cloned the old one and took the computer to a this and Win7 saved Activations way? Settings Can be Reinstall: tech shop to have the new drive installed and everything transferred over To make the clone I used AOMEI Backupper which puts the Win7 Reinstall: Can Activations and Settings be saved this way? MBR in one partition and everything else on the Win7 Reinstall: Can Activations and Settings be saved this way? other -- At least that is how I understand it and Win7 Reinstall: Can Activations and Settings be saved this way? I saw the partitions Techman called me the next day to say he had installed the new drive BUT the clone had failed to backup the MBR and so he would have to do a clean install of Windows He further said that everything else on the clone was intact but I would have to reinstall all of my applications Without going into details I will simply say that I told him not to do anything else that I would come and get the computer Upwards of applications were installed all requiring activations all customized to my specifications My most needed app may cost me for a new activation and based on past experience take me at least a week to get up and running Now to my questions Would it work to copy from the clone all the programs files etc over to the new drive and then restore the registry from the Erunt Registry backup I ran just before disaster struck Would that restore my activations and my settings

A:Win7 Reinstall: Can Activations and Settings be saved this way?

Please run chkdsk /r

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.

Attention:  If this is a SSD do not run the /r switch, instead run chkdsk /f.

Click on the Start orb , then type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Copy and paste chkdsk /r in the command prompt, then press Enter.  Please note:   

You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616865/win7-reinstall-can-activations-and-settings-be-saved-this-way/
Relevancy 46.87%

I am currently having windows 7 (32 bit) , I am facing virus issues and want to reinstall windows 7 on current OS without loosing program settings including oulook which is most imp. for me . please suggest any solution.

A:how to reinstall windows 7 without loosing program settings.

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

This tutorial will help you out: Repair Install

However, before you do so you could carry out a full anti-virus scan in Safe Mode by downloading and installing Malwarebytes first: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

You can get into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key when you first boot your computer.

Whatever you do, please backup to an external source any personal data that is important to you in case anything goes wrong.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/182708-how-reinstall-windows-7-without-loosing-program-settings.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Error code xe f I have a HP Pavilion laptop windows Ultimate bit system with a gb AMD Turion Dual-Core with gb Ram I bought it about two years ago for my daughter When I bought it I burned DVD s for the Recovery Disks I have never used them UNTIL now She was getting a message that it was NOT a reinstall back 7 Windows will factory not settings to Genuine copy but it is I figured Windows 7 will not reinstall back to factory settings that if I restored the laptop with the original DVD s that it would fix the problem I loaded the recovery Disks On the last Disk it gave me this Recovery Manager could not restore your computer using the factory Windows 7 will not reinstall back to factory settings image-Please contact HP support Error Code xe f I tried restarting laptop and it said BOOTMGR is missing Press ctrl ALT DEL to restart I called HP and ordered the operating system When it arrived I loaded the DVD s BUT on the last Disk it gave me the same ERROR Could someone from this wonderful site help me out Maybe someone else has this same problem I did search this site for similar problems but did not come up with anything nbsp

A:Windows 7 will not reinstall back to factory settings

Is this Recovery disk to reinstall windows from scratch, or is it a custom made disk, if so, do you have any option to format and start from scratch?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-will-not-reinstall-back-to-factory-settings.1012868/
Relevancy 46.87%

I reinstalled Windows XP Home and for some reason it reset all my user settings (Including everything in My Documents and the Desktop). Is that information stored somewhere on the system (like in a CAB somewhere)? Because there is some really important stuff in there.

Relevancy 46.44%

I have an asus x u that was given to me they said it wouldn't work and I could have it for parts there is no cdrom drive on this it has windows home premium os It wants to start up if i hit start windows normally it gets to the wallpaper but a cmd box comes up no task bar or anything I can select or click and i can't type in the cmd box either so I have to hard restart I choose repair recommended and it does the same thing cmd box nothing else can't do anything fully in Asus safe or won't boot up 7 windows X401U mode recover So I went to the asus site and followed the directions of method of how to recover your notebook ASUSTeK Computer Inc -Support- Troubleshooting X U at step of a language choice after step - choose windows setup EMS enabled hit enter it starts windows almost and I end up just Asus X401U won't fully boot up windows 7 in safe or recover mode like above that cmd box but no task bar nothing I can do The cmd window that says X windows system cmd exe but I can't type in that cmd box area altho i do see a flashing prompt nothing happens I can close that cmd window but nothing happens till i restart it with a hard reboot powerbutton I tried also F then choosing F to get into safe mode options but that appears to load i see safemode on all corners then I get that cmd box and again can't do anything but close that box I went into the bios and set it to default settings pulled the battery and power cord held the ON button for a good secs but still can't get windows to load I tried last known good configuration and it did the same thing windows wallpaper no taskbar or anything I can click and that cmd box i can't type in I see nothing in the bios or on the asus site for any sort of self diagnostics tools if I choose windows start up recovery i DO get almost there but I see a cmd exe box I can't type in it and it just sits there without anything I can click on do etc I have a feeling windows is somehow just corrupted but I can't figure out what to do next on it I do have a windows key on the sticker home premium edition but with no cdrom drive I would have to figure out how to load windows onto a thumb drive as bootable then boot from the usb first in bios which might just be my next step but i'd like to try and get it working again if possible Just figured I would ask here before calling it a total loss it's very light and in great shape unless it's something more serious i'd like to try and save it but not sure what other steps to take or to try on this

A:Asus X401U won't fully boot up windows 7 in safe or recover mode

I tried different F keys to see if I could find a diagnostic tool but no luck, F7 gave me an option of windows memory diagnostics tool, I ran that (took a while) but status says no problems at least that's one step down but I think it's some corrupted/missing/infected windows file, just not exactly sure how to do this without a cdrom drive on this machine.

I also tried the debugging mode same thing windows starts wallpaper only cmd box, nothing i can do (this time i even tried cnt alt del) but still nothing.

This machine has no service doors for hard drive or ram, kinda inconvenient to have to take the entire case apart to just check basic stuff (reseat ram, run diag on hard drive etc), but I hope I can get some ideas, directions etc of what else to try or do on this one before calling it a total loss especially when I feel like it might just be a windows thing.

Almost 4am so guess it's time to try and get some sleep, round one goes to the asus

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/322881-asus-x401u-wont-fully-boot-up-windows-7-safe-recover-mode.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I am familiar with System Restore, selecting earlier times, and the often-available option of undoing a System Restore. But I found out (too late) that according to Microsoft, System Restore done in Safe Mode is not able to be undone.

I lost 1,000's of photos doing the system restore, now the only restore point option visible is what I believe to be the new one after I did the restore. Prior to me doing the System Restore, there were a number of times from me to choose from, I just chose one that was 10 days ago.

Is there any software, method, or hack that I can use or do to recover the thousands of photos that were on my desktop and that were in folders on my desktop? It's a 1 TB HD, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

A:How can I undo or recover lost files from System Restore in SAFE MODE?

If I lost thousands of photos by running System Restore, the first question I would have is why did that happen? Did you have your photos stored in some Windows system folder?

Or did System Restore malfunction in some way? As I am sure you know, it doesn't normally affect personal data.

You might be able to retrieve something with a standard data recover app like Recuva.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/194154-how-can-i-undo-recover-lost-files-system-restore-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Basically have duplicates of the profile folders in documents and settings and want to delete them as they take a fair bit of harddrive space.

Thanks.

A:Duplicates of folders in the documents and settings folder after reinstall

Some duplicates are needed for a system to function properly. Be careful about deleting, although I can't say the ones you have are needed. Wait for others to reply.

{redoak}

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/duplicates-of-folders-in-the-documents-and-settings-folder-after-reinstall.625077/
Relevancy 46.44%

However I decided to take the cowards way and reinstalled my backup HD as primary The backup was not too old And the errors were continuing with fresh ones The machine in use performs few functions but requires cleaning off from time to time This is another XP question and network question which can be retain/reinstall and browser and Reinstalll network XP settings made into a new thread if necessary Why do I have such a problem reinstalling the Windows software and wish to retain files outside the OS and network settings etc Or is it just not possible and the drive gets wiped with no options That's the first question The second related question is how to retrieve folders and settings just for the Firefox browser and the shared folders that I need to communicate with and transfer on my homenet I have a third HD that I can wipe and start from scratch I have an OS book for Win k but that has not been of much help with this should-be simple procedure the goal is as follows Install the OS Migrate the needed folders from a working disk that has network settings and browser bookmarks If there Reinstalll XP and retain/reinstall network and browser settings is a thread that has a step by step for this fine But please don't send me to Microsoft or a haystack of links

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reinstalll-xp-and-retain-reinstall-network-and-browser-settings-348302.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have an Acer Aspire 5733z-4851 and it's been nothing but trouble. I was having problems with it booting so I thought I would take it back to factory default levels. Now, it says that it's setting up but then I get an error message saying that there was a problem and Windows has failed to reinstall. It then shuts itself off and comes back on again. Please tell me what to do. I'm so sick of this computer I want to set it on fire!!! A step by step repair answer is earnestly sought and appreciated!

A:Tried to take computer back to factory settings, now Windows can't reinstall

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/tried-to-take-computer-back-to-factory-settings-now-windows-cant-reinstall.1074224/
Relevancy 46.44%

Well, obviously I could simply back up my files...but what about settings? I would like to keep those if I can.

I was wondering if I could make a separate partition for C:/Documents and Settings in the same way some people make a /home partition for Ubuntu. That way, I could put everything that's important on there and reinstall with the files already there. Is it possible to do this, and if it is, how?

A:Any way to delete the OS while keeping settings, files and programs for a reinstall?

Yes...it's called a repair install of the O/S.

Which, by the way...is not guaranteed to resolve any computer circumstance, it's just an effort.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/369043/any-way-to-delete-the-os-while-keeping-settings-files-and-programs-for-a-reinstall/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello,

I have an HP Laptop (DV 6646 US) with a Windows Vista installed.. During the last 1yr my laptop has been falling apart (literally) with first the audio drivers crashing, then problems with the DVD writer etc. When I bought the laptop, I had a recovery partition & was not provided a Windows Vista CD/DVD. Since my DVD Writer has crashed, I do not have the option of creating recovery discs now. Could anyone please suggest a method for me to reinstall/recover Windows Vista from the recovery partition without having to use a CD/DVD.

Thanks in advance!!

A:How to "reinstall/recover" Windows Vista from Recovery Partition without CD/DVD?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-reinstall-recover-windows-vista-from-recovery-partition-without-cd-dvd.1007921/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello,

I have an HP Laptop (DV 6646 US) with a Windows Vista installed.. During the last 1yr my laptop has been falling apart (literally) with first the audio drivers crashing, then problems with the DVD writer etc. When I bought the laptop, I had a recovery partition & was not provided a Windows Vista CD/DVD. Since my DVD Writer has crashed, I do not have the option of creating recovery discs now. Could anyone please suggest a method for me to reinstall/recover Windows Vista from the recovery partition without having to use a CD/DVD.

Thanks in advance!!

A:How to "reinstall/recover" Windows Vista from Recovery Partition without CD/DVD?

&#x202a;Windows 7 - Create a System Repair Disc on a Bootable USB Flash Drive without Burning a CD&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Quote:

Steps followed in this video are listed below.

Assume that the flash drive is F and disk 1 in diskpart.

Create 2 folders on the flash drive - boot and sources

cd c:\recovery
dir /a:sh
cd YOUR_GUID_DIRECTORY (only subdirectory in c:\recovery)
dir /a:sh
xcopy /h boot.sdi F:\boot
echo F|xcopy /h Winre.wim F:\sources\boot.wim
cd c:\windows\boot\
xcopy /h dvd\pcat\bcd F:\boot
xcopy /h dvd\pcat\en-US\bootfix.bin F:\boot
xcopy /h pcat\bootmgr F:
attrib -r -s -h /s F:\*
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition 1
active
list partition
exit

Eject the flash drive and boot from it.

Create a USB flash drive which has the same functionality as a system repair disc - startup repair, system restore, image recovery, and command prompt. Some computers may take more time to boot from USB, although newer machines should boot faster. This method should also work with a USB hard drive.

There are a lot of things with a USB workaround, provided you have a USB flash drive to spare. That should help cover the use of a System Repair Disk, however you will need to access a feature during the BIOS stage that will allow you to activate the recovery partition.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-reinstall-recover-windows-vista-from-recovery-partition-without-cd-dvd-588174.html
Relevancy 46.44%

On Windows 7 how do I reinstall Windows Mail?

I had removed WM completely because I never use it (don't ask!). Recently in Windows update "2011 essentials Live" showed up on the optional updates list; so I tried to install; to no avail... any wisdom to correct such a short sided blunder would be appreciated. -Thanks

A:Windows 7 Mail reinstall

Welcome
You can reinstall windows live mail
Windows Live Mail 2011

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/125660-windows-7-mail-reinstall.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Is it possible to reinstall Windows Mail only? I am thinking that may help my problem of being unable to delete the mail in my delted folder? I am currently using Windos Vista as my Op system