Windows Support Forum

IE 9 Failing to Update and Crashes on Startup

Q: IE 9 Failing to Update and Crashes on Startup

I've seen similar problems while googling around but nothing has worked for me Failing on and IE Startup Update Crashes 9 to yet Running Windows x Problem I have recently come across a program that failed IE 9 Failing to Update and Crashes on Startup to work and found that it relies on IE to be fully updated and functional When trying to open IE for the first time in a while b c I use Chrome I noticed that the browser would immediately close and a new Downloads window would appear with it asking if I wanted to save my hompage htm Also possibly related all windows help dialogues now fail to load and give me the error quot Unable to download from windows Unable to open this Internet site The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found Please try again later quot Solutions Tried Tried fully updating windows and everything updated except IE saying there was an error but not listing anything specific Ran full system scan with MS Forefront and it came up clean I've tried uninstalling IE via quot Uninstall an Update quot and the bar never moved and an message was given saying that the uninstall failed but didn't give a reason Some sites then said remove it from the quot Turn Windows features on or off quot menu but when I opened that dialogue it was completely blank So that also failed Also tried going to Control Panel - gt Internet Options to reset the settings to default but whenever I click on anything under the Internet Options area nothing opens and my computer doesn't even make the 'click' noise If you can think of anything else I could try that may work I would really appreciate the help Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: IE 9 Failing to Update and Crashes on Startup

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: IE 9 Failing to Update and Crashes on Startup

Hello and welcome Lhasinu I am just a tad confused as to what you have installed as a browser?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/293849-ie-9-failing-update-crashes-startup.html
Relevancy 17.2%

AMD has launched their first WQHL-certified Catalyst graphics card driver update since December 2014, bringing a heap of new features and performance updates across the board, as well as the usual array of bug fixes.

Read more

A:AMD launches major GPU driver update: Catalyst 15.7 WHQL

I have played with the CFX and Freesync support on the Acer 1440p 144hz monitor. Works great and makes me want to actually own a Freesync monitor now...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-launches-major-gpu-driver-update-catalyst-15-7-whql.216359/
Relevancy 17.2%

I have a Razer BlackWidow keyboard Recently I downloaded and installed the latest version of Razer s Synapse on update keys swapped firmware Razer BlackWidow to try and fix this issue I was having with my Naga Lo and behold my Naga issues Razer firmware update swapped keys on BlackWidow were fixed but another problem emerged The new version of Synapse added support for the BlackWidow and also upgraded the firmware But after the upgrade my Windows and Alt keys have been swapped so when Razer firmware update swapped keys on BlackWidow I press one I get the other The only way I ve been able to fix it so far is to use SharpKeys to switch the keys back around but when I connect another keyboard that keyboard now has its Windows and Alt keys swapped It s not that big Razer firmware update swapped keys on BlackWidow of a deal but I do swap to a quieter keyboard late at night from time-to-time and I would really prefer to have it fixed without having to rely on a workaround like this I ve check around and I can t find any information about this issue and Razer s support website is completely useless as usual Likewise I haven t had any luck so far with downgrading the firmware either Does anybody have any idea on what I could do particularly other BlackWidow owners nbsp

A:Razer firmware update swapped keys on BlackWidow

Can't you just go into Synapse and assign the Windows key to the Alt key and vice versa? All the keys are programmable and hopefully this wouldn't affect your other keyboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/razer-firmware-update-swapped-keys-on-blackwidow.182990/
Relevancy 17.2%

I have a Gateway NE56R and ever since I updated to windows 8.1 I cannot use the internet at home even though it says it is connected to WiFi, but it works at other places. Please help asap

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gateway-ne56r-wifi-doesnt-work-at-home-after-windows-8-1-update.212135/
Relevancy 17.63%

The impending launch of DirectX 12 is one of the more exciting things to happen in PC gaming in recent years. Many people are eager to see how the low level API will improve the performance of games that implement...

Read more

A:You can now test DirectX 12 yourself with latest 3DMark update

This is way windows is doomed. DirectX 12 should be available for win 7-10, but MS is so greedy, they cant seem to understand why they are disliked and windows will evientaly be destroyed by Google. Just look at there market share. I betting big on SteamOS, and once it takes off, I will take the jump. Windows is now to bloated, and with greed, I hope all backers back Vulkan. DX12 on Win 10 only has officially broke the camel back.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/you-can-now-test-directx-12-yourself-with-latest-3dmark-update.210768/
Relevancy 17.2%

A while ago, after accidentally opening the Store app, Windows forced me to restart to install Windows 8.1, which I was unable to weeks before because of driver issues. I didn't need Windows 8.1 yet, so I didn't download it before then.

However, during the installation, it failed (again) due to either my antivirus or the aforementioned driver issues. Upon logging back in, my computer was unable to find any WiFi networks. Seeing as I live in the middle of a densely populated city, this isn't possible. Plugging in an ethernet cord still works, so no issues with that adapter or my home internet. I checked all the drivers for my WiFi adapter, and my Ethernet adapter, and both are up to date and display as working properly. Restarting several times didn't seem to fix this issue, and using system restore didn't seem to work either. I used the Troubleshooting tool, and that didn't give my any helpful advice or answers, so I got nothing.

What can I do to fix this issue?

For reference, I have a Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, Driver Version 6.30.95.14, and a Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, Driver Version 2.1.0.7.

A:Unable to connect to WiFi after failed Windows 8.1 update

Never mind, it seems to have resolved itself overnight after I put it to sleep for several hours.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-connect-to-wifi-after-failed-windows-8-1-update.210268/
Relevancy 20.64%

In a strange turn of events, Nvidia elected to use Epic Games' media event (instead of its own last night) at the Game Developers Conference to reveal its newest flagship graphics card, the Titan X.

Read more

A:Nvidia crashes Epic Games' media event, announces Titan X graphics card

Soo... What are the chances of a 6GB "980Ti" variant? A bit like the 780Ti was to the Titan Black?
Because it would be better for games and a hell of a lot cheaper

If the rumor mill is to be believed, the price is going to be $1,349, Most people who buy this for gaming will have no use of the double precision floating point prowess of the card, and the few that would probably should have spent a couple hundred extra bucks to get a proper Quadro!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-crashes-epic-games-media-event-announces-titan-x-graphics-card.209423/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi there! I was wondering if any of you tech heads can help? Been given my nephews laptop which had the vague description of it hasn't turned on in a couple months.

It's a zoostorm loaded with windows 7. I can get into the bios but after that it just sits with a black screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-failing-to-boot.208148/
Relevancy 19.78%

I remember some time ago I found a option which made my computer connect itself to the internet but now I cant find it.Help?

A:Have to manually connect to the internet on startup

Make and Model of computer? What Operating System are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/have-to-manually-connect-to-the-internet-on-startup.207918/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have done everything I can think of. I have windows 7 64 bit. I have disabled/re-enabled sound cards, uninstalled/reinstalled drivers. I have checked all settings I possibly can think of. My head phones work GREAT and on startup I can hear the sound, but once in windows, no sounds through my speakers.

Any suggestions?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-hear-windows-startup-but-after-that-nothing-headphones-work-though.207890/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide as much info as possible for a better solution I have been experiencing strange clicking sounds please see link coming from my XFX HD lately or it can XFX PC noise, 4850 temp HD and clicking then High crashes be from PSU I have been using this card since years It XFX HD 4850 clicking noise, High temp and then PC crashes used to be very rare only at bootup but ever since I have started playing Bioshock infinite it has become much more frequent Initially I did not get any problems playing but last time I could only manage hr and then mins before pc crashed Today when I started the pc there was not any of that sound but XFX HD 4850 clicking noise, High temp and then PC crashes after minutes the hideous sound started and after few seconds pc shutdown This happened again and again with shorter time frames Interesting thing is I did not even played the game was only browsing the potential problem on the net Turns out it can either be -Some hindrance in fans spinning -Coil whine -PSU problem I couldn t pinpoint the exact problem I tried listening to it very closely could only guess that it was coming from gpu it also seemed very hot Using GPUz I started monitoring and gpu temp went from - C range to C within minutes before it shut down So it seems gpu is the reason I put a bit of load on gpu by emulating a game in pj during that time I had got my power outlets checked by a voltmeter few days ago the electrician said they were fine My desktop airflow is good never had a high temp problem with my cpu and side of the cover is always open My questions are -Can I underclock my gpu so that it consumes less power -Do I need to install ccc since I haven t earlier -I used an air blower a couple of months ago and also cleaned the gpu with a brush did nt find much dust or any object blocking the fans I can t rma since I had a bad time doing that in the last few times other h w long wait Also I don t have a built in gfx with this build What do you suggest Thanks Link screens and audio http s tinyupload com index php file id GPUZ min max temps Date GPU Core Clock MHz GPU Memory Clock MHz GPU Temperature C Fan Speed Fan Speed RPM RPM GPU Load GPU Temp DISPIO C GPU Temp MEMIO C GPU Temp SHADERCORE C Memory Usage Dedicated MB Memory Usage Dynamic MB VDDC V - - - - Update After I cleaned my pc again with air blower and also the gpu separately tested the system Starting temps were better from c instead of c and biggest difference was the dramatic reduction in fans rpm previously and now - rpm and noise But bad news is during those - mins the gpu temps kept rising again even at gpu load and once I put a bit of load on gpu - via pj emulater it rised to c before pc shutdown again So does it means I have to apply thermal paste too Or can this be fixed if I update the gpu driver Please any solutions suggestions wil be really appreciated nbsp

A:XFX HD 4850 clicking noise, High temp and then PC crashes

I'm having a bit of trouble following (more than likely my fault). What is the GPU fan speed during load?

If the RPM's seem normal, it could be thermal bond in the thermal paste that is broken.
If the fan speed doesn't appear to be normal, the fan itself could be broken.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xfx-hd-4850-clicking-noise-high-temp-and-then-pc-crashes.207299/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi there I m new here hope you can help me out with my problem So over the last couple of weeks I upgraded my I ve had this for about three or four crashes causing parts New years now CPU FX- Mobo Gigabyte GA- A-DS RAM GB MHz x GB GPU RADEON HD GHz Edition PSU W Novatech To CPU FX- Mobo Gigabyte GA- A-DS RAM GB MHz GPU R X MSI GAMING PSU W Novatech New And added in two SSDs New parts causing crashes I also upgraded to Windows Since I upgraded I ve been getting these weird black-screen crashes whereby the lights turn off on the keyboard and there s no response at all from the machine but the fans are still on at full speed I have to then turn the PSU off or unplug it Then I have to wait a few seconds before giving power back to the PSU in order to turn it all back on The first time the crashes happened was when I was playing COD AW and loading a map like Detroit or Recovery After I turned off Preload Shaders Which allows you to load up more information during the loading screen so that you have a smoother experience after it that crashing seems to have stopped So I just thought that was a bug with COD until I started looking at overclocking my CPU I ran Prime just to look at the temps and after a couple of minutes I got the exact same black screen crashes I think it might be the PSU because it s old and technically a value brand but I don t want to fork out on a decent PSU only to find it was my Mobo or CPU all along So yeah any advice would be appreciated nbsp

A:New parts causing crashes

Put your old RAM back in, see if the problem goes away. (Alternatively, run memtest86+ overnight)

Based on what you said, it will be much quicker to swap the RAM back and run Prime95.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-parts-causing-crashes.207343/
Relevancy 17.63%

Updated my hardware drivers including the wireless adapter, and something must have gotten changed as I can not connect to wifi anymore on HP Notebook G72-253NR with Windows 7.

Flushed winsock, released/renewed ipconfig and deleted/reinstalled adapter. Can meanwhile connect thru Ethernet cable again but not wifi. Finds my wifi network (previously didn't) but can't connect, don't have tcp/ip addresses in LAC or wireless properties, automatically obtain is enabled. IPv4/6 enabled in both also.

Getting message of "HOST Process was prevented from changing settings of ZoneAlarm by modifying registry key HKCS/Services/VSDATANT? at initial startup.

"COM surrogate was prevented from changing settings of ZoneAlarm by modifying registry key HKCS/services/vsdatant" whenever I simply access/exit ip protocol settings.

How can I fix this? My brain is fried after several DAYS of trying to fix my friends computer... Please someone help!

A:Can't connect to wifi after hardware driver update

Call your ISP they will walk you through it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-connect-to-wifi-after-hardware-driver-update.206983/
Relevancy 29.24%

Just bought a new board and I dont know how to get my geforce gts450 card working

A:New motherboard failing to show my card

Have you installed latest NVidia driver pack compatible with your operating system?

www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-usClick to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-motherboard-failing-to-show-my-card.206126/
Relevancy 22.79%

HI
I have a lenovo laptop. My laptop suddenly crashes . If it is not used for 1 week and then turned on,it works fine for 2 hours. If we turn on the laptop the next day ,it starts crashing with in 10-15 mins after turning on.
Please help me with this ...

A:Laptop Crashes

There could a list of things causing this. Overheating, Os corrupt, Conflicts in software., Bad battery and so forth. The best way to know if you are not sure is to have a local computer shop check it out. Or try running it in safe mode . If it will and run some test on it. Such as a software to check its temps. A good spyware program to check your os. Also a program to check the hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-crashes.206058/
Relevancy 22.36%

A few months ago my computer started crashing when playing games. The screen would turn either black, white, (or once pink), the fan/fans would max out, and the audio would just change to a loud buzzing sound. This would continue until the laptop was turned off.
Around that time, one of my hard drives was failing. We thought, seeing as it fitted so well, that it was the problem. I've just had the hard drives replaced, and while it was running perfectly for a few days, it has now started to crash again, and far more frequently. Most of the time just after the desktop loads.

I'm currently running in safe mode, and that's perfectly fine. No crashing.
I've tried disabling my audio drivers, and rolling back my video card driver, but with no success. I'm assuming that as safe mode has no problems that it must relate to a driver, or, some software, but I have no real clue what I'm talking about.

My video card is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M, if that's important. No idea what other information to include. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

A:Computer crashes increasingly often

Go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. If there are any .dmp files, select them all and right-click, sending the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload this folder as file here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-crashes-increasingly-often.205623/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi Guys,

I would like to seek help regarding my laptop (Dell Inspiron 3437). I oftenly encounter a very slow start up/booting and also there are times that shutting it down takes too long also as if it is not responding, which will result to forced shutting it. I need help in this.

Thanks you very much.

A:Dell Inspiron 3437- Startup and shutdown problem

Which Windows and how much free space do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-3437-startup-and-shutdown-problem.204241/
Relevancy 18.06%

CPU:AMD FX-8320
Motherboard:ASUS M5A97 R2.0

I hardly know anything about the BIOS so I am asking you this:
Will I need to update my BIOS and if so how to do that?
Am I going to update it to the latest version(2103) or the version when the processor was first compatible(1006)?

Please help, I do not want to make a mistake when updating so please provide a detailed explanation ! ! !

A:BIOS update

Some might say updating the BIOS is not worth the risk unless you have a reason to chance it. On the other hand I've never had a BIOS update go badly. BIOS updates are not that difficult to do. But there is always a risk of the update failing. In the off chance of failure, the motherboard will be bricked. There are motherboards that come with a second BIOS for failsafe. I don't know if the failsafe can be used under a bricked board, I will assume it can until I hear otherwise.

There are three ways to update that I am aware of. All of which may not be available depending on motherboard model and age of system.

Within the Operating System (I've used this method but for awhile it was advised against)
You will need to download BIOS Update application. The application will download and install the new BIOS.

Within the BIOS
Within the BIOS there is an update facility. You will only need the new BIOS. (My BIOS will only update from a USB stick.)

From DOS utility
Not only will you need to download the new BIOS, you will need to download the flash utility that is designed for the update.

I recommend updating from within the BIOS (assuming you have this option). Download the new BIOS to a USB stick and then boot into the BIOS. Browse around to find the update facility and the rest is self explanatory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-update.198931/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi there
need to know if I can upgrade my graphics card for upgrade to windows 7.
current graphic card:ati radeon 9200 se 128mb ddr tvo
computer :fujitsu siemens scaleo 600
motherboard :microstar ms-6585 2.oa
power supply:dc output 250w
thanks so much.
learner1

A:Graphics card update to host windows 7

I don't know if you CAN upgrade your graphics card, but:

You most likely don't NEED to.
It's not really a good idea to upgrade at all. Those parts are old as dirt and you won't find anything cheap that'll fit.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-update-to-host-windows-7.202568/
Relevancy 29.24%

My current system was built in May of 2012 and has been rock solid until like now.

I have had 4 out of 6 USB ports fail on me at once. I can't scan, can't print and the only two that are working I have both my mouse and keyboard in them because I had to transfer them yesterday the ones I had them connected to for almost 2 years. My printer was working fine yesterday and then that port failed today. I have tried booting and rebooting to no avail.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H. If anyone can recommend to me a good solid Z77 board I'd appreciate it because if the last two ports go I won't be able to use my keyboard or mouse and then I'll have some real grief to deal with.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Relevancy 17.63%

I have no idea why this happened, after the update none of the ports on my computer work after booting into windows. bios was updated before this and all was fine. checked in bios if ports were enabled. still no joy. help!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/all-usb-and-ps-2-ports-dead-after-msi-motherboard-driver-update.200108/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have a prob,whit a geforce 8800 gts 512mb.

I got it from a secondhand site and all was alright till I started to overclock

Nothing big,oc at 16% and the temp was 60*C wich aint so high.But when I started the pc next day,I got only black screen,no bios no safe mod no nothing.

I have a
pentium D 805 2.66
gigabyte ga-8i945pl-g as mobo
500 mb ram drr II/ 4 slotsX 500=2gb
acopia dual fan it-25f2 -psu

I know the mobo aint dead cuz I tested with my other gpu,and it worked
Did a bios reset-still black screen
changed the ram position
tried with other monitor
dvi-vga adapter works(I tested on the other gpu)
Nothing worked

I noticed that now when I start the pc,the gpu fan speed doesn't change I mean its at 100% but when I had a image on the screen at the start up,the fan speed was at 100% only for 3 sec,then it changed lets say at 50% after those 3 sec.

should I try the bake fix or its a certain dead card?

Sry for my spelling mistakes hope u can give me an answer cheers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-startup-8800-gts.199989/
Relevancy 19.78%

My HDD sounds like it is reading for a good 3-5 minutes on startup. Programs run after a minute or so - albeit very slowly...

Does this mean its new HDD time as it is a good few years old, or do I have hidden files starting.

I have cleared out what I can find that I don't need at boot....

Any suggestions?

A:HDD reading for a long time on startup

How many autoupdate programs are running in your services AND
(for me) the Avast! A/V program induces this behavior.

I've reduced the autoupdates on my laptop, but love Avast! and have learned to just accept it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-reading-for-a-long-time-on-startup.199066/
Relevancy 20.21%

I can't get my hard drive to start. I did a complete format and now it will not boot up when I put my Windows 8 cd in.. I'm sure it was a bad move on my part. I just wanted to clean it out and start over. Do I need to find drivers for my hard drive? Any help please , thank you

A:Hard Drive Startup

Hey kesler7.
Did this pc in question come with Win8 and with this disk ?
If you are familiar with accessing the BIOS, does it show that the drive is present ?
If it does show and the drive is working properly, if the drive is set as the first boot device in the Boot section of the BIOS, or maybe be set as the first boot device using an F key sequence on startup, it should recognize the drive at power up where you can start the reinstall of Win8.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-startup.197469/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello all,

Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVm4jGNhxSQ
MB: New coming Asus Maximus VI Impact
CPU: Intel i5 4670K
GPU: MSI TF GTX 760 OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8G 1600
CPU cooler: Corsair H80i
PSU: Seasonic X serie 650
SSD: Samsung Pro 840 128G
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1T
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy white

So the installation was not easy, but I finally managed to install all carefully. I made a super clean windows 7 ultimate 64 bit installation and installed all driver correctly.

The only problem is this: I get this annoying hard drive clicking noise from the H80i. I don't know if it is the pump or the fans or the radiator. But I am pretty sure that I comes from the cpu cooler.

So what do you think about this issue and which component could be the source of the problem? Thank you very much in advance. Regards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corsair-h80i-startup-clicking-noise.196394/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hiya,

I recently bought a WD Black 1TB, along with a SATA3 PCIe card. It worked fine for a few days, then suddenly Windows wouldn't boot - hung on 'loading'.

I yanked the new drive, Win loaded fine. I added it again (hot plug ability on SATA3 card), Device Manager immediately shows it. My Computer (explorer.exe) hangs, Disk Management doesn't even load. WD drive software also hangs with the drive plugged in. Sometimes, the drive appears in My Computer, however with no partition information (still hung).

Tried with/without the SATA card, tried using mobo slots, tried moving boot drive around. Seems like the new drive has lost the partition table, or something similar.

Any other ideas to try? Since I live in Australia (and a non-capital-city), my returns process is expensive.

A:Failing 1TB WD Black

I really wish I could help. But, it seems you've already tried what I'd recommend. I'm just going throw out some ideas.

Does the drive pop up in bios? If so, I'd run it through a diag program outside of windows to either try and repair or save the data.

Try formatting the drive and see if that makes a difference. I hope this isn't a trend with WD drives. As, I recently purchased a 1TB WD black myself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failing-1tb-wd-black.194791/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello so as the title suggests my game crashes whenever Every for game reason crashes play I no I play any game for like minutes Some games don t even start up When they crash the game freezes and im Every game I play crashes for no reason forced to start task manager and end the process to get back to the desktop my computer does NOT bluescreen The weird thing is my computer runs like its brand new Every game I play crashes for no reason when not playing games I can run many livestreams and render videos very quickly its just the Every game I play crashes for no reason games which crash Specs not included in profile Corsair TX w PSU Arctic cooling freezer for processor Here are some of the solutions I have tried so far to get my games to work again - Reset to factory settings - Malware scan - Virus scan - Registry clean - Stress test on hardware - MEMTEST - clean out inside pc - Validating game cache on steam Its not just steam games that crash its all games - Defragmented my HDD and SSD - Removed any overclocks If anyone has any other ideas please please get back to me ASAP some people have said to unplug the hardware and plug it back in but I didnt know if this was safe Any other ideas are greatly appreciated If you need more info just ask Regards Luke nbsp

A:Every game I play crashes for no reason

Check your CPU temps and voltages. Are you overclocking? You may need to set voltages directly, instead of 'auto'.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/every-game-i-play-crashes-for-no-reason.194836/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hello Everyone I have Hard Drive Failing a HP m desktop running Windows Vista Failing Hard Drive that we use for our small companies files Upon booting up displays a message that hard drive failure is imminent and I need to back it up and replace its asap After this message Windows tries to load and fails The system then goes into Windows system restore and recovery mode and is unable to solve the problem I turned the computer off and uninstalled the hard drive and realized that someone has messed with the hard drive before and messed up the SATA connections on the back and the plastic guiding tab was broken off One of the SATA pins was bent and I did my best to delicately straighten it I was able to find the plastic tab in the SATA cable and was able to reseat the cable I then installed the failing hard drive onto another desktop as the slave drive The backup desktop is running Windows XP and I was going to try and back up the failing hard drive onto a portable one After getting everything installed my computer executed chkdsk upon start up and has been running for the past hour My questions are as follows Roughly how long does chkdsk take and will chkdsk run on both the connected drives What problems will I most likely incur after chkdsk has finished Will I be able to back up the failed hard drive with it configured as a slave drive What other option do I have available to recover files and back up the failing hard drive nbsp

A:Failing Hard Drive

Hard drive is failing, you're running chkdsk, and have no backup of it yet? Dude, you're brave.

'Clone' the failing HDD, ASAP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failing-hard-drive.194773/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have an Emachines HDmonitor model number LE1987 that came with the computer. I start up my computer and the monitor comes on and shows the boot screen, but only for a few seconds before going black. I turn the monitor off and back on, the screen shows my computer(at login screen now) but goes black after a few seconds again. I repeat the process but no luck the monitor wont stay on. The monitor is a little old (4 years)
I've tried hooking it up to 2 other computers thinking its my computer, but the same thing happens every time on all computers. By the way im using vga.

Any solutions? Bad monitor? Anything would help. If I have to get new monitor then thats fine.

A:Monitor wont stay on after startup

Are you able to swap out your monitors Vga chord for another chord. To see if this maybe the problem. If you have already tried it it on two other computers with the same results. It may very well be on its way out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-wont-stay-on-after-startup.194554/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hello everyone Ok I haven t posted in a while Replacement failing PSU's keeps as I Replacement PSU's keeps failing have bought a Replacement PSU's keeps failing new PC This actually concerns my old pc that I gave to my friend The thing is I have recently found out that the pc has had Power Supplies that have failed in about a year s time Each of these Power Supplies wasn t a cheap model They were collectively well known brands I have asked my friend to tell me what is the current model and wattage of the current PSU My question is what could cause a repeated failure of decent Power Supplies My friend isn t much of a techie and he surmised that it maybe is the Motherboard This Desktop PC is about years old It is an AMD Dual Core Gig RAM DDR The Motherboard is a Gigabyte KA- N SLI and it has currently an ATI video Card I think it s a HD Anyway I originally had a W power supply which couldn t handle the strains of the new video card and the computer s PSU failed As I was working full time in a very stressful job Replacement PSU's keeps failing I did not have the means to buy a new PSU and install it myself as I would have normally The end result was we took it to the shops and spent odd dollars AU dollars for the Power Supply itself for a Watt Power Supply and within to months that power supply failed Currently the PC works intermittently It sometimes turns on and works fine and recently the last days it does not even turn on I just don t understand how a good brand PSU can fail so quickly My friend thinks it might be the Case Fans as the case I had it in had was a gaming case with big mm fan in the front of the Case and two mm fans to the side He seems to think maybe it is the fans chewing up power but I tend to think not as I ran several peripherals when I had that PC and I was a power user compared to my friend who basically only occassionally uses it and he generally only uses it for old games like Neverwinter NIghts I can t seem to get my head around a possible solution My theories are as follows Power Outlet faulty I thought maybe there was a overload at the power socket where the PC is plugged in or possibly the whole house as he said he thought of that and has moved the plug in for the PC around Motherboard If it was the motherboard would it not make those beeping sounds at start From what I have gathered talking to my friend it appears that since the PC hasn t started it has been making distinctive beeps indicating a hardware fault My PC noob friend has stated maybe it was the connection between the MB and the PSU but I thought that was preposterous as the connection wires would be coming from the PSU and not the MB so the chances that PSU cables to PC are faulty just sounds impossible Memory I have not seen the PC myself and only spoke to him on the phone but I will be going over to his house on the weekend to have a look and if need be bring the PC over to my place to take it apart and start testing each component separately to find the fault Also my friend says maybe its just wear and tear But surely that does not make sense I used to own this PC and I was a heavy gamer I played in the years - quite heavily with this pc and I had several joysticks and that was when it had a w Antec Power Supply with absolutely no issues I do know that a mutual friend apparently fixed it last time it broke down PSU He apparently replaced the PSU and gave the interior a clean with compressed air I have a sneaking suspicion he might have tweaked the voltages but again I am not sure and I will be confirming with this technician tomorrow I have instructed my friend to run a dxdiag and send the file to me so I can post it with this thread but I don t think that is gonna happen as it sounds like the PC wont load to windows Can someone please give me clues to how to go about indentifying the core problem here Am I on the right path with my analysis I just can t fathom that it could be the motherboard Is it possible for a faulty motherboard to... Read more

A:Replacement PSU's keeps failing

If the psu's are failing like that, chances are something is causing the issue (the odds of that many psu's failing that quickly is very low)

Test the Psu's on another system for starters to see if they are actually bad. That could at least let you make sure it's not something else causin the problem.

I would also try other outlets because a faulty plug can be an issue (plus use a power strip, it helps protect your machine ).

I do not think its the motherboard or the video card as if it was, they would not be functional period. It can also be heat/stress on the psu if the psu is getting to hot due to location or if there's lots if dust build up causing it to fail.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacement-psus-keeps-failing.193810/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi, I recently installed Norton 360 onto my OSwin7 Toshiba laptop andsubsequently now the computer wont start. it comes up with startup repair then says startup repair failed... is there any way to fix this issue? or get my files off the hdd onto another laptop??

A:Any help for a startup issue?

Firstly, I would never recommend Norton to anyone, its not as good as it appears - their marketing is just very good! Try starting it up in safe mode (push F8 non-stop from the moment you boot the PC and then select safe mode with the keyboard). If it starts up and you log in, open system restore (start > accessories > system tools > system restore) and restore the computer to a time before you isntalled Norton. It should help get it back up and running. If it doesn't work, I'll give you an alternative

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-help-for-a-startup-issue.192907/
Relevancy 18.06%

I cannot know how the bios update so I need some help for the how the bios update.I want to install the newest driver but I can't figure out how the driver is in a .02 file and I can't make heads or tails of it can anyone help me?

A:How to update BIOS

astar master said:

I cannot know how the bios update so I need some help for the how the bios update.I want to install the newest driver but I can't figure out how the driver is in a .02 file and I can't make heads or tails of it can anyone help me?Click to expand...

please post the brand/model of your motherboard... I.e.: ecsg41-tm; intel dh55tc; asrock z77 extreme4

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-update-bios.192864/
Relevancy 18.06%

Do you have to update or change the Motherboard to update the processor?

I have a Pentium 4 processor 548, 3.33GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 533MHz front side bus. Can one "Plug and Play" so to speak with an updated processor to the same Motherboard?

A:Motherboard/Processor update

Your CPU socket is PPGA478, P4 is the highest CPU this socket will support.

Even with LGA775 CPU socket, unless you had a motherboard that would support quad core, there would be little reason to upgrade over a complete system replacement.

In answer to your question to "Plug and Play", yes and no. Yes CPU's are basically plug and play, and No the motherboard must support the CPU first.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-processor-update.192561/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hey guys, I've attempted a bios update through this website and I've been left with this sitting on my desktop for two days and the loading bar has not moved an inch.
I tried to update the BIOS because for the last few weeks when my computer is booting the screen would go blank and just stay blank and I would have to keep resetting until it would finally boot. I was hoping a bios update would do the trick otherwise I would not have bothered.

Im worried if I exit out or shut-down my computer I could corrupt my BIOS. Any ideas?..

A:Bios update help

I would exit and maybe try again. Thats the download phase which has nothing to do with the actual update process. The download will complete, before any attempts to update will begin. Updating the BIOS can be very risky, updating would never be handicapped by possible problems of downloading.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-update-help.192433/
Relevancy 19.78%

I recently changed my display out. Every time I boot up the computer I have to unplug and plug back in the connector shown in the photo to have full color, otherwise it is a very dim screen. Using windows xp. Any thoughts????

A:Dell Inspiron screen dim on startup

Was the replacement LCD panel the same part number as the old panel?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-screen-dim-on-startup.191959/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hellow guys again ,, hello the best website ever !!!
I jus wanna ask about something ,, Earlier I mentioned something about upgrading my processor to core 2 duo ,, now ive done that but when ever I start my computer ,, this msg shows up !
""" 1801 - microcode update Error
Missing or invalid processor microcode update. please contact hewlett-packard company for a new microcode update to support the new processor stepping """
Any help ?
HP compaq dx7300 microtower is my pc and Intel core 2 duo E4500 @2.20GHz is the new processor.
Many thanks in advance

A:Microcode update Error ?

Have you tried contacting HP concerning it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microcode-update-error.191974/
Relevancy 21.93%

So I ve crashes caused Hard by motherboard? drive recently built a computer everything was working fine but after a month or so Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard? it started freezing randomly only fixed by restart Then on boot some hard drives would say they have bad sectors and Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard? failed SMART After a few weeks eventually the entire system crashed and would not boot on any of my drives I managed to get it boot on a CD and reformatted the SSD drive that the operating system was on I replaced the supposedly failing drives and things were looking good But it wasn t more then a week or two when it started freezing randomly again sometimes in the middle of activities sometimes when it was just left on And again saying the now brand new drive was failing though from everything I can tell it is not when I run disk checks from booting from a boot CD I m not expert so I have really am at a loss as to what to check I can t afford to keep replacing my hard drives and like I said it doesn t even seem to be actually true if I disconnect then reconnect the drive it seems to come up fine My suspicion is that either the SSD drive that the OS is on is causing the trouble or else its my motherboard Honestly I have no proof of either but I am pretty much out of my depth here Here is the general specs on my system Mother board ASUS P Z -V LK LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS CPU Intel Core i - Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost LGA W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics RAM CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR Desktop Memory Model CMZ GX M X C SSD OCZ Vertex VTX - SAT - G quot GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD Video Card EVGA GeForce GS GB DDR PCI Express DVI HDMI VGA l have severaI other hard drives internal and external attached most of them don t seem to have any trouble the one that consistently fails is always label E even when I change the physical drive out not sure if that means anything or not Any help would be much appreciated not sure where to even start honestly Let me know if I need to make anything more clearly Lucas nbsp

A:Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard?

they have bad sectors and failed SMART.Click to expand...

S.M.A.R.T. is enabled in the HD firmware. Failures at that level are purely hardware related. Such failures create bad sectors.

Q.E.D.:- the drive is just cr*p.

IMO, the motherboard could never create a HD failure - - while software can do so as well as bad user procedures
(eg sharing r/w a folded and two or more users opening the same file at the same time).
Bad disk drivers would easily be a contributor too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-crashes-caused-by-motherboard.191721/
Relevancy 17.2%

A few months ago I updated my MSI Z A-GD to the latest BIOS quot vP quot which is still the latest settings Z68A-GD55 update won't MSI overclocking changes allow to BIOS after version on MSI s website as of today Since updating to this version the UEFI BIOS screen is totally different the layout has been changed entirely I was able to find the overclocking settings quickly but since the update the board will not allow me to change many settings All CPU Memory chipset voltage adjustments CPU ratio adjustments bclock adjustments etc are all either greyed MSI Z68A-GD55 won't allow changes to overclocking settings after BIOS update out and cannot be selected at all or they are set to quot Auto quot and that is the only available option for them This is a solid overclocking motherboard from what I ve heard online and I m running a K series CPU k so I m really perplexed as to why I can t even adjust the supposedly unlocked CPU ratio on my k I USED to be able to use these settings before the BIOS flash Also I can t seem to find anyone online who s having a similar problem as me As it stands now the only overclocking I can do is with MSI s quot OC Genie II quot which basically automatically overclocks for me I think this is totally ridiculous why is MSI s automated tool allowed to touch these settings when I can t modify them manually Anyone have any idea what s going on My first thought was that maybe there is a setting somewhere in the BIOS that must be enabled first in order to open up the overclocking settings but I searched far and wide and couldn t find one Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:MSI Z68A-GD55 won't allow changes to overclocking settings after BIOS update

Yeah, I think there is a setting somewhere that is checked to auto. Try exploring all the tabs of the BIOS screen and report back if you find anything.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/msi-z68a-gd55-wont-allow-changes-to-overclocking-settings-after-bios-update.191535/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello! I'm new here at Tech Spot. This is a great website.

Where can I get a copy of the newest BIOS update for my motherboard?

Model: Asus P5GD1-VM Motherboard
Version: 0602
Chipset: I915
Date: 09/06/2005-16:48:11
Onboard Sound: Azalia (swa)
Onboard LAN: Exist (wl)
BIOS Size: 512 K
BIOS Type: AMI

I downloaded all BIOS .ROM files in the official website of Asus. But it weren't compatible with the BIOS to be flashed.

Please help me! Thank you very much in advanced!

A:Motherboard BIOS update

The latest BIOS for your board is version 1015. It's not necessary to load each BIOS in order, just load the latest. To load the BIOS you must copy it to a floppy disc and rename it P5GD1-VM.ROM If you didn't rename it, that's why it won't load. On the same Asus download page, you can get the user manual for your board, which goes into detail how to reflash the BIOS. It can render your motherboard un-bootable if you do it wrong, so I would read the manual before attempting it again, and follow instructions carefully.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-bios-update.191021/
Relevancy 25.37%

Ok here s the history of the problem I have GB Hard drive quot Samsung sp c quot and I am using it since two years with my old desktop system with this S M A R T error at the startup BIOS TWO YEARS BACK I think there are some bad sectors involved at the last part of the HDD space There were partitions initially I e C D E amp F The problem started with partition #83" attribute "1720-SMART failure failing? drive detects imminent hard failed: ... HDD error F with following issues Always took so long copying files into F System got stuck up when some file s folder s from F drive were opened and then automatic restart That time ran CHKDSK on F drive but in the middle of scanning it always restarted the PC automatically Sometimes system restarted when I was copying some HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? random data in the F partition Whenever this restart thing happened at the start up it displayed that there is no primary hard drive detected Then eventually it came back live after - attempts always I also deleted the Partition F and then recreated the partition but same problems persisted YEAR BACK Due to above issues HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? I left the partition F as it was and used others like C D amp E but an year before the partition E started to do things same way F was doing and at that point F was not accessible with error popping The disk is not formatted Do you want to format it now I formatted the partition F and ran following HDD tools afterwards Partition Table Doctor HDD Regenerator Surface tests for C D E was fine but when it started scanning the HDD somewhere in F partition area these tools messed up with something took so long stuck at sectors for long time without repairing it MONTHS BACK I came to know that there are some serious issues in the HDD sectors inside the last GB part of HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? the hard disk I made partitions C D E F G The G partition was for GB space and I never opened this drive since I created it because this will cause same problem what the F was doing before NOW I don t have much issues with C D E amp F while operating them Don t use F too much to be at safe side But I feel that HDD is very slow overall and and every time I turn this system on I get quot -SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed quot Wondering if it could be fixed or not and I know and understand that my hard disk was failing ever since and most of you guys will advice to back up and purchase a new one but I am still on to fix this one and as if there s any way to get it right up Many Thanks nbsp

A:HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing?

The fundamentals still apply:

for every partition ?X?
chkdsk ?X? /f /r​
The /R will remap bad sectors in an effort to avoid future I/o errors.

a} fix all partitions
b} get the SMART data and save it for reverence (it will not be reset to zero by chkdsk)
c} view the SMART data every day
d} look for increasing statistics

PLAN on getting a new HDD asap

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-error-1720-smart-hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure-attribute-failed-83-failing.190152/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi there,

Good to be back in the realm of Techspot..

I've run into a situation with a Macbook Pro HD.

The drive had shown signs of failing and finally I got the "Pinwheel of Death".

I booted to an OSX disk and repaired it, and was able to log in okay once or twice.

The computer continued to freeze and I had no luck backing up the 15,000 images for my client.

I pulled the drive and plugged it in to another Mac with a SATA to USB adapter. The drive shows up in disk utility, I can copy a few small files over, but it quickly fails within 1 minutes of it spinning up.

So, what is there to be done with a 'failing' hard drive? Any software/tricks to stabilize it long enough to get the files that I need? (Spending $500 for mechanical repairs is currently not an option?)

Thank You for insight.

A:'Failing' hard drive -- what are my options?

Don't think you have many options unfortunately. There is a decent possibility as it heats up it fails, so if it is really dry where you live you may be able to find a way to put an ice pack on the drive to keep it cool. I'd get the drive cooled down with an ice pack or a fridge/freezer and then hook it up and keep an ice pack on it while copying the files over.

I would avoid doing this if there is enough humidity that you will run into a condensation issue. Currently there is 32% RH in my room and fighting static is much more of a problem than condensation on a beverage. So good luck, and hopefully it is dry there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failing-hard-drive-what-are-my-options.190067/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi there!

Straight to the point:

Tablet specifications:
- Manta Tablet PowerTab 10" HD MID1001
- CPU - Cortex A-8 1.5GHz
- GPU - Mali-400
- 3D OPEN GL V2.0
- Ram 1GB
- Android ver. 4.0.4
- compile number - crane_axmid-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D 20120803 test-keys
- kernel 3.0.8+ [email protected] #52

Problem:
- slow page load (if any!) - tested on default browser, chrome, opera, opera mini, etc etc
- no reaction for stopping loading pages

Thoughts:
- not a router problem (802.11n WPA2/AES)
- other android devices working well on that hotspot
- Google Play working well on tablet, no lags, no interference (same other online soft - skype etc)
- tried system restore, default settings, changing router settings

Techspot is my last hope. Help me!

A:Slow browser failing to load pages on tablet

Download a terminal emulator, do some pings.

Check the advanced setting for the Wifi, there may be some weird DNS entries or something.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-browser-failing-to-load-pages-on-tablet.188781/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi I m a new member I recently decided to build my first PC Parts were Asrock Z Extreme MoBo Intel i K - LGA DDR Single stick GB G-Skill GeForce GTX GD OC Seagate Barracuder SATA TB w PSU Now for the problem - BIOS error Extreme update Z77 4 Asrock I installed everything correctly and got to POST so I decided to follow most Internet forum instructions to update my BIOS so I did so over the Internet flash update from the AsRock BIOS setup The problems arose after trying to update it via the Internet Now the motherboard won t even get to POST or show any signs or working Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 - BIOS update error on a monitor the fans for ten graphics card CPU and chassis all work the PSU is working fine But the Dr Debug is showing the status code which states in the description is that it is quot not used quot I don t know what to do iv taken out the graphics card and tried still the same disconnected everything except the socket and all pins are fine on the PCIe slots and RAM Any help would be appreciated ps I have a spare Gigabyte gt GB hanging round and was wondering if I can get the MoBo to work will it be worth sticking the in with the for any improvements however slight until I can afford another for SLI nbsp

A:Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 - BIOS update error

"Now the motherboard won't even get to POST or show any signs or working on a monitor" You might be able to get the motherboard to respond by removing the battery for a few minutes. If not, the motherboard may need to be replaced

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asrock-extreme-4-z77-bios-update-error.188524/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi guys I am looking to upgrade my graphics card this christmas and was looking at moving up to a http www amazon co uk Asus-GeForc update card needed Graphics help s computers amp ie UTF amp qid amp sr - from a http www geforce com hardware Graphics card update help needed desktop-gpus geforce-gt- -channel My system specs are as follows Operating system Windows Home Premium x Service Pack build Install Language English United States System Locale English United Graphics card update help needed Kingdom Installed System Model Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq Elite CMT PC System Serial Number CZC XR Asset Tag CZC XR Chassis Serial Number CZC XR Enclosure Type Mini-Tower Processor gigahertz Intel Core i - kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache kilobyte tertiary memory cache -bit ready Multi-core total Hyper-threaded total Main Cirucit Board Board Hewlett-Packard Serial Number CZC XR Bus Clock megahertz BIOS Hewlett-Packard J v Controllers Intel R Desktop Workstation Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller Display NVIDIA GeForce GT Display adapter HP LA Monitor quot vis s n CN RZ September Bus Adaptors Intel R Series C Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - C Intel R Series C Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - C D Multimedia NVIDIA High Definition Audio x Realtek High Definition Audio http h www hp com products quickspecs na na pdf lt Link to the user manual model is on the third page the Business PC I am currently using a GeForce Gt card which is quite old and struggles with performance on some games I am interested in the Asus GeForce TI but have no clue if it will even work in my machine I looked towards the manual for my pc and it suggested cards worse than I currently have and I want better performance not worse The manual says that I have x Full length PCI slots x PCI Express slot and x Full Length PCI Express x graphics The TI has according to amazon quot PCI Express amp PCI Express support quot and looking at the specifications of both on their respective websites the GT uses PCIE x and the GT TI uses PCIE Given that the GT is already working in a PCI Express slot is it safe to assume the would be compatible GT specs http www geforce co uk hardware desktop-gpus geforce-gt- -channel specifications GT TI specs http www asus com Graphics Cards NVIDIA Series ENGTX Ti DCII TOP DI GD specifications Would this card work and if not could you suggest a card similar in capability that would Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Graphics card update help needed

Yes that video card will work with your motherboard.

However, it may not be the best value for money compared to the current gen video cards on offer.

For example, the newer Nvidia GTX 660 is the same price as the 560 Ti and offers around 30% more performance. Alternatively, the AMD Radeon HD 7850 costs even less and still offers better performance than the 560 Ti. I would highly recommend you go with one of these (doesn't have to be that exact model of 660 or 7850).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-update-help-needed.188413/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello techspot, Basically I think ineed to update my BIOS in order to run call of duty black ops 2, but I Don't know.

Basically when I try to run the game, my pc freeze's then shuts down and says no signal detected, I've been looking all over the inet to try find a solution and came across a forum where people were having the same problem. (They're all using AMD) Alot of the people there said they contacted there motherboard supplier's and asked for a flash drive update or something? to update their BIOS. After doing this they said the game started to work.
Please help.

my motherboard is a N68-VS3 FX, If someone could link me to the correct update for it that would be grand. im on windows 7 if that helps

Lee.

P.S , Sorry I think I posted this in the wrong section

A:BIOS update?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS&Model=N68-VS3 FX

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-update.187629/
Relevancy 20.21%

When Windows 7 finishes starting at I'm at the login screen the keyboard sometimes doesn't respond. I try unplugging and replugging the USB connector with no success. The light above the num lock key doesn't even come on.

A:Keyboard sometimes not responding at startup

Do you have a another keyboard you can try? This way you will know if it a keyboard that is bad or a problem computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-sometimes-not-responding-at-startup.186178/
Relevancy 18.06%

I noticed yesterday that HP was auto-updating wireless updates. After they had finished, my wireless capability was gone. There was a problem with my Intel Centrino N 1030 wireless driver, and have not been able to correct the problem. Also, when I try to restart it takes forever, and I get a notification when it finally does that there was a critical blue-screen error?
Please help!

A:Can't connect wirelessly after update

What version of Windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-connect-wirelessly-after-update.185800/
Relevancy 20.21%

Almost since the day we bought our laptop several years ago it's been slow to start up, but now it's worse and taking forever.

I don't know where to start to remedy the problem. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Specs: Hp Pavillion Entertainment Laptop
Windows Vista

A:Slow startup

First off, I suggest that you defragment your hard drive. It would also be good if you can check that you don't have unnecessary programs in your start up configuration.

To do this, type 'msconfig' (without quotation marks) in the Windows search box and then either press enter on your keyboard or double-click on the MSCONFIG program that appears in the search results.

Once the System Configuration utility is up, click on the 'startup' tab. You should see a list of services and programs that Windows loads every time you boot or restart your PC. Laptops that come with pre-installed copies of Windows usually have a tonload of unnecessary software ticked in that list. These slow your system down and are a waste of RAM and disk space. Check out this Techspot thread to learn more about this particular subject.

If it's an option, then you should also try installing more RAM into your machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-startup.185610/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hi all I Acer update 8935g driver screen GPU blank after recently updated the driver for the Ati card in my laptop during the installation the screen had gone blank and has stayed that way ever since But first heres a back story I started having trouble with the laptop a few months ago when I assume the ati card had overheated and caused the screen to flicker this laptop comes with an Intel card also which you can switch to by pressing the power save button near the keyboard The intel card ran just fine and if I output the video through hdmi the ati card would work fine also Acer 8935g screen blank after GPU driver update which led me to Acer 8935g screen blank after GPU driver update believe that there maybe an issue with the screen Also if I kept pressing the power save button and switching between cards the ati card would eventually begin to work normally on the laptops screen I wanted to update my drivers today as they were a couple of years old I had trouble installing them in the past as there was a conflict between both gpu cards so I became frustrated and left it I used Ati s auto detect tool and it began to install the new drivers when the screen went blank I thought this was normal during a driver update but I left the laptop running and it stayed that way for over an hour So I turned the laptop off using the main power button Probably wasnt a good idea I imagine Now the screen just stays blank even if I try to switch to the intel card Any help on this issue will be much appreciated nbsp

A:Acer 8935g screen blank after GPU driver update

It might be the inverter or the backlight for the LCD. Have you tried using the HDMI output on both cards if the Intel integrated supports HDMI out?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-8935g-screen-blank-after-gpu-driver-update.184711/
Relevancy 29.67%

I m using a Asus video card failing Possible G SW BST laptop and my GPU is a geforce m The laptop is a little over a year old When playing a single game Garry smod the screen will turn completely green or blue after min or so but only in game I can still move and sounds play as normal but I cannot see anything I can alt tab easily back to the desktop and I can close the process and start the game again just Possible failing video card fine My temp when this happens is only about C I m in the process of updating my drivers just in case and I ve already validated the GMOD install I ll edit this post once I restart and test if this happens again Is this my graphics card dying The only thing I Possible failing video card ve done recently that s out of the ordinary is I put a SSD in my second hard drive bay and am using it as my boot drive so I had to reinstall all drivers and windows I find it strange that it s only gmod that has this issue CSGO ARMA Minecraft saints row all work It s only Garry s Mod nbsp

A:Possible failing video card

So the driver update didn't fix anything, but I narrowed down the cause of the glitch. If I'm in spectator mode and I fly outside the walls of the map at all, it gives me that screen. It's never done that before, but I'm not sure it's a hardware failure because the trigger is so specific. But if this still sounds like a failure please let me know. I don't know all that much about hardware beyond what each part is for.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-failing-video-card.184897/
Relevancy 22.36%

I ve a pc with the flg specs AMD Phenom x T ghz stock speed Transcend Mhz ddr GB x GB sticks XFX Radeon HD gb Graphic card M A -EM motherboard Seagate TB RPM primary hdd Seagate x gb RPM for storing my stuff CM Extreme Power Plus W psu I ve been using this pc for past yrs and no problems so far Recently I ve used the quot M A M quot Motherboard along with Frontech DDR x GB RAM The processor graphic card hdd and remaining components are same while playing PC My games crashes except the board and RAM The build worked nicely Now I ve reverted to my own board M A ---- I was playing games like NFS Hot Pursuit My PC crashes while playing games Just Cause and so on After a few minutes of gameplay the pc crashes without any error Not even check for solution msg box no BSOD No events recorded in event viewer So today I reformatted my pc and installed windows Ultimate X But the problem is unsolved I ve checked my hdds for bad sectors My PC crashes while playing games defragmented the disks checked for malware viruses with kaspersky All are working fine except the games And also the firefox is crashing while viewing the pages with flash content No overheating issues and the hardware is properly fitted Thermal paste is also fine Checked the RAM with memtest for over hrs and found no errors Pls solve this problem Thanks in advance nbsp

A:My PC crashes while playing games

This is kind of a shot in the dark but if you can, try swapping out the power supply. If that doesn't work try swapping out the videocard or running it with the onboard video.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-pc-crashes-while-playing-games.183226/
Relevancy 19.78%

My fan recently broke. So I simply jus popped another one on. The fan I replaced it with jus has red and black which is obv live and neg but the one I took out has red black and yellow any idea about the yellow ? The fan works great but CPU fan failed error keeps appearing then when I press F11 it says entering setup but still shuts down.any ideas about how to keep it running just to get into the settings and change the CPU fan settings. Would be grateful with any help. Thankyou.

A:Help needed to bypass the CPU fan failed error at startup

You bought the wrong type of fan. They aren't all the same. You should have bought a CPU fan but you have a case fan instead. The yellow wire goes to a sensor connection that controls the speed of the fan. The motherboard detects the missing connection and throws the error you saw. The solution is to buy the correct type of fan.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-needed-to-bypass-the-cpu-fan-failed-error-at-startup.170008/
Relevancy 19.78%

I'm using Windows 7, a ASUS X54C Notebook and a DLink WBR-1310 router.

For some reason when I reboot my notebook, the wireless compatibility doen't want to automatically connect to my wireless access point. I have to manually click the wireless icon on the task bar to let the troubleshooter connect my notebook to the internet.

I already have the options under properties and services.msc via WLAN AutoConfig enabled to connect automatically at start up, but that doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any ideas?

A:How do I set my notebook to automatically connect at startup?

Slick21 said:

I'm using Windows 7, a ASUS X54C Notebook and a DLink WBR-1310 router.

For some reason when I reboot my notebook, the wireless compatibility doen't want to automatically connect to my wireless access point. I have to manually click the wireless icon on the task bar to let the troubleshooter connect my notebook to the internet.

I already have the options under properties and services.msc via WLAN AutoConfig enabled to connect automatically at start up, but that doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any ideas?Click to expand...

I don't know if this will help,but I don't think it'll hurt. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/how-to-set-up-wifi-laptop.htm
I fixed a friends W7 wireless connection last week but don't remember the steps,good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-set-my-notebook-to-automatically-connect-at-startup.181933/
Relevancy 18.06%

so im deciding to upgrade my mobo that supports pci 2.0 I was wondering does 2.0 support 2.1 because im going to put a budget radeon card in it note this is not a gaming pc just a little upgrade

A:Mobo update

Yes, PCIE 2.0 will support a 2.1 card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-update.181796/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello

When I start up my computer, I get the message, well, it says on top..
Funny thing is, that it starts up and works regulary, shut off the "press F1 at error" but the message pisses me off..

The HDD I have is a Seagate SATA drive, connected with SATA. I thought those drives would go as Master automaticly, but think I've done wrong somewhere. Can't give much more info about the drive itself.

A:No HDD master detected on startup

Sounds like you have the PATA (or IDE) controller enabled in the system BIOS. disable the master, save BIOS, reboot & see if msg goes away. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-hdd-master-detected-on-startup.181170/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hello,

I'm trying to update the drivers on my Radeon x600 256MB graphics card with Windows XP 32 bit.

I downloaded the following file described as the ATI Catalyst Driver 10.2 (XP): download-euro <dot> oldapps <dot> com/ATI/10-2_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe

On running this download, it has installed Catalyst Install Manager in C:\Program Files\ATI\CIM\Bin, but I have no idea what I need to do next!

Running Install Manager and following the steps through seems to do something, though looking at device manager, it doesn't look as though the driver has been updated (it's still version 8.162.0.0)...

Thanks in advance

A:Radeon x600 XP driver update

Try the WDM Integrated Driver here :

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownlo...px?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radeon-x600-xp-driver-update.179750/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi Guys About months ago my laptop started to act up The screen would get jumpy horizaontal lines flashign across it and then it would cut out altho lights are still on the screen would needed advice of crashes, sure Inspiron not HP cause, be black I would turn it off and turn it on and it may not happen again for a HP Inspiron crashes, not sure of cause, advice needed day week or even month Now things have worsened it now happens every session often failing to start altogether The jumping has worsened too it can become heavily pixalated and distorted making a weird noise as if the audio has been caught while it froze Sometimes the screen goes black and the audio continues as normal for a few seconds then dies too Sometimes a blue screen appears telling me it is dumping physical memory this scares me so i usually turn it off quickly Im noit sure if the following is correlation or causation but occasionally this jumping and freezing etc is brought about by me moving the screen of laptop slightly IT does seem to last longer if i have the laptop some where stationary All in all im very confused i brought it to a repair shop and he told me it was not the hardrive so must be the motherboard and therefore v expensive I didnt really get the trusting vibe off him so im worried hes just saying that so i spend big cash with him Im trying to decide what the problem is any ideas If it is the motherboard is it worth fixing If i do buy a new laptop is there any resale in mine for parts If you require any further details im happy to try but i dont have much computer knowledge hence why my title is not very techy Cheers guys Shane nbsp

A:HP Inspiron crashes, not sure of cause, advice needed

"HP Inspiron crashes"...

You must mean Dell Inspiron, don't you? What is the model or service tag number?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-inspiron-crashes-not-sure-of-cause-advice-needed.179414/
Relevancy 19.78%

hp x181 continuous restart after bios. ran primary and secondary harddrive test and tested memory. (all passed) i can load bios and run diagnostic test but when i leave bios it just restarts. have anyone heard of this?

A:HP X181 continuous startup at BIOS

Can you perform a "Factory Restore"?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-x181-continuous-startup-at-bios.179185/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello,
I have an annoying problem and some advice would be appreciated.
My office work PC is a Dell Vostro 410 win 7 and pretty up to date.
ATI raedon 3600 driver 8.850.0.0.
Main monitor is a viewsonic connected to graphics card with a cable and adapter to fit a socket that looks like HDMI but not quire. second monitor is old samsung 17in.

For quite a while when I booted up the main screen was black, if I turned it off and on while wiggling mouse and then quickly clicked a file it would stay on. Last few days when I turned on and off I got a brief glimpse of the desktop before black again.
I have unplugged monitor 2 and the main one works just fine.

Any Ideas much appreciated as I have got used to using 2 monitors and this is a pain.
Ta

A:Dual monitors -- main one is blank on startup

What happens when you boot into windows with only the main monitor plugged in then plug in the second?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-monitors-main-one-is-blank-on-startup.177422/
Relevancy 19.78%

Okay so this problem has been happening for about a week now but it started taking longer and longer and its getting quite annoying so now I am here seeking advice Upon starting my computer it has been taking a few minutes to Windows startup not connecting 7 upon Internet connect to the internet It started off only taking about minutes if that Now it takes up to minutes When I start the computer it says quot A network cable is unplugged quot but my cable is definitely plugged in and Internet not connecting upon startup Windows 7 other computers in the house have internet both on wired and wireless connections It will start to say quot Identifying Network quot and then switch right back to saying its unplugged Then go back to the Identifying stage and sometimes quot Connected but limited or no internet connectivity quot only to return to the quot Network cable unplugged quot status Sometimes it just connects itself after - minutes and then it doesnt go out at all until I restart my computer in which case this process starts ALL OVER I have been using the same ethernet line since well before the problem started although I have replaced the head several times since it began happening and yet the problem persists Its extremely annoying to have Internet not connecting upon startup Windows 7 to wait for minutes just to access the internet on my PC Anyone have any possible solutions nbsp

A:Internet not connecting upon startup Windows 7

How you tried replacing the cable (make sure it is straight-thru cable) or connecting to different ethernet ports?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-not-connecting-upon-startup-windows-7.177109/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello, i have had my laptop for a year almost and i have had this problem most of the time. when i try and watch videos(youtube) the screen goes blank for a few seconds then it comes back on telling me that the "desktop driver stopped working and has recoverd". it also says "desktop manager stopped working and was closed." can someone please help?

system details:
Pentium(R) Dual-Core
CPU T4500
2.30ghz 2.30ghz

64 bit operating system
3gb RAM

A:My laptop crashes whilst watching videos

Please tell us more about computer brand and model, opeating system, etc.
You are missing software or drivers, usually free, than will enable proper operation when downloaded and installed from the maker of your computer, or your operating system.
It could also be resources limits such as memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-crashes-whilst-watching-videos.174546/
Relevancy 19.78%

I am attempting to reboot a Dell Inspiron 600m for a friend. I was able to install a fresh copy of Windows XP on it. The problem I am experiencing with it is that it often refuses to start up. I simply get a few lights, then they turn off. No attempting to run the CPU/Hard Drive etc.
I would assume the laptop is fried but it does not always do this. It also sometimes starts up and runs windows with no problems.
Any ideas on what is causing this problem and how to fix it?

A:Dell laptop intermittent startup failure

Replace the system board battery. Disassemble and reassemble by removing the keyboard and tracking down the cables... especially the cable to the screen. Replace the screen inverter card... which is cheap and will be needed sooner or later anyway. Remove, clean cpu cooling fan, and replace. Remove and replace the heat sink if the metal of the old one is rainbow colored from excessive heat.
Track all cables and connections and connectors as you re-assemble.
If it is any good, this extra work, which may take four hours (after the ordered parts come in) and you will know if you are going to have a good experience or if you have wasted your time... and your friend's time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-laptop-intermittent-startup-failure.176931/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello everyone Since my computer worked fine last years ago now its coming some damn problems My computer specs p qc gfx gb ram intel dual core e tb and crashes Games not others seventeam w Problem Some games crashes or i get some distorcion graphics while playing or after a video like go after menu And after that i must press ALT F doesnt work often or i have to restart pushing the button And usually i get BSOD probably memory idk it was so fast i have downloaded somes games to test out Payday The Heist if i play on low resolution it doesnt crash Trine got distorcion graphics and after bsod Might amp Magic Heroes IV cant Games crashes and others not even pass the after intro it crash on menu Mass Effect after min got crash Deus EX sometimes i got lag Games crashes and others not slow run game Duke Nukem Forever same got lag slow run game games that workout without Games crashes and others not problem Far Cry Wow League of Legends Diablo Beta Assassin Creeds Revelations very rarely i got crash or distorced graphics Things i ve done only Ive already updated my video card cleaned the ram slots ram Thigs i should do update bios motherboard any other suggestions or probably its the best to send my computer to tecnical assistance to solve my problems Thanks And english is not my second language nbsp

A:Games crashes and others not

Have you checked your GPU temps? It may be overheating while you play some games. Temperatures above 90 C or so under load would be worrisome. Also, a 500 watt PSU is not very much for a GTX 285. Nvidia recommends at least 550 watts.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/games-crashes-and-others-not.175415/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello everyone, my computer crashes when I play games. The computer is still on, but the monitor says "no signal input"
any help would be appreciated, also i have attached a dxdiag file

A:Video crashes while gaming

Have you tried updating you Nvidia 9600 drivers from this website:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-crashes-while-gaming.175059/
Relevancy 17.63%

Windows 7 (64bit) used to load the Network "dialer" (I have DSL) at bootup or whenever a connection was not present, but a few days ago, it suddenly stopped. I must now start my Internet connection manually via a shortcut on the desktop.

I don't prompt for a password, but I don't want my PC connecting w/o me for security reasons (eg: catching viruses/adware that try connect to the Net to upload my info or send Spam.) This is how I've connected since Win98.

I thought maybe I had disabled something necessary from "msconfig", but I put everything back and it still doesn't work.

I've also tried putting the shortcut in my Startup folder, but Windows just ignores it. (???)

I remember having this same problem years ago with XP but forgot how I fixed it.

Anyone have any ideas?

A:Network "dialer" stopped loading at startup. Weird.

run SERVICES.MSC and verify Network Connections is enabled and autostarted.

View Network Connections and be sure the connection properties are correct.

Move the shortcut in my Startup folder to the All Users\Startup

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-dialer-stopped-loading-at-startup-weird.174788/
Relevancy 19.35%

See background
at

Code:
closed topic#163578 on this website
Note the solution presented in the previous thread is for a different make of laptop.

Problem: Wirless disabled by default on start up and resume.

I am having the same problem with my windows 7 reinstall of my SYX160001. Have tried similar remidies... ie power management, driver updates, enabling netowrk discovery, etc.

Any idea on how to overcome this nusiance of needing to turn on the wireless

A:Atheros AR9285 wireless disabled by default at startup

SOLUTION! (at least for me on my laptop)

I just had this problem when I reinstalled the OS from the OEM disc (not the factory install disc) I figured the OEM disc had a driver conflict. But I incorrectly pointed the finger at the wirless lan driver.

The HOT KEY strip (the one with the buttons that turn white when you touch them just above the keyboard) on my laptop also controls the Wi-Fi Radio on/off button. This was the problem. You need the origional driver for that strip, even if your volume on the strip is working.

Background. Think of your wireless lan as two seperate devices... the radio is compared to the cord of an ethernet connection. The wireless lan card is the ethernet card. When you think about it as one device it is easy to see why so many people assume the problem is with the wireless lan card. But the important part is that a laptop usually devides the two up to save power. Controlling the radio from a button on the keyboard (or a function key) (mine is FN +F2) is another reason to think of the two as seperate items.

Before reaching this conclusion I tried using "allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" I also had tried Hi performance modes and other wireless radio from the control pannel in both plug-in and battery modes. I tried the turn wireless netork on and off as well. There were plenty of reasons to think this was going to fix the problem.

So update your HOTkey strip driver... see if that doesnt fix your problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/atheros-ar9285-wireless-disabled-by-default-at-startup.174149/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi, Just installed new 500gig Seagate sata hdd on computer, everything good. connected old 250 gig Seagate, now on startup, xp goes to chkdsk on F: and starts deleting the the files I want to keep. How can I set up the 2nd hdd as storage only?

Thanks in advance.

A:XP deleting files from second SATA HDD on startup

here is what i think it might be but u might wanna post a screen shot of the process using ur camera or cellphone camera to be sure what we're dealing with,
it might be re arranging files. HDD sorts file differently than u might think "i put my games in a folder then they're together physically" not true ur games folder could be scattered around the HDD's media and linked so u see them in the same place during a sudden shutdown "power out shutdown or restart using ur power\reset buttons" some files might be orphaned "lost its link to the others" so u dont see it in its place in that case chkdsk seeks those orphan files and reconnects them to their proper places so u when u open ur games folder u see all ur games there or some files wasnt saved properly so they get lost if ur pc suddenly shuts down and they remain as pieces they case some issues so chkdsk has to get rid of them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-deleting-files-from-second-sata-hdd-on-startup.173573/
Relevancy 17.2%

I am very very frustrated since I waited a while to get this motherboard from china. My last DFI board randomly died on me and I ordered this as a replacement because I wanted a decent 775 board. I worked on it all night tonight and despite it reading all the hardware... it will not boot unless I reset the cmos every time. On top of that... I can not get the bios to update... it doesn't read any of the 5 usb drives I tried (fat/fat32). Also I tend to get this grey screen when trying to flash it sometimes. I am beside myself at this point after fussing with it for hours on end and I really need some help.

A:Asus P5E3 BIOS won't update and needs CMOS reset to boot every time

Sounds like either the BIOS is corrupted or the motherboard battery is a goner.

Have you tried burning the new BIOS to a bootable CD ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-p5e3-bios-wont-update-and-needs-cmos-reset-to-boot-every-time.171511/
Relevancy 21.93%

i think there is something wrong with my hardware..i have noticed that when ever i move the screen or move the laptop then it either freezes or crashes..

do you have any idea which hardware may be faulty??

thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whenever-i-move-my-laptops-screen-it-freezes-or-crashes.171448/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have a gateway laptop with windows vista. Sometimes when I plug in my printer a USB port the computer crashes. Then I have to take out the battery and put it back in to start it up again. It seems to do this more when I have my wireless mouse plugged in but still does it when no other devices are in use. Most of the posts I've seen are crash and automatic reboot. Not me! Any ideas?

A:Computer crashes when plugging in printer with no reboot

Sounds like drivers. particularly USB but it could also be motherboard USB controller drivers as well. Do you get Blue Screens? Do you have the latest drivers from Gateway installed for your particular model? Do you have Vista's latest Service Pack and drivers updated?

If not do so.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-crashes-when-plugging-in-printer-with-no-reboot.171195/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hey there everyone on TechSpot...

Recently I upgraded from a Geforce 6800 GS to an ATI Radeon HD3850 (both AGP)
After having carefully followed all the steps required to install a new graphics card
(i.e. deleting of old drivers, installing the new ones etc.) I still get an error. In particular this one: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

I even contacted the manufacturer of the card (Sapphire) but they weren't of much help, giving me a constant list to do things that I had already done.

I uploaded the latest 2 minidumps that were created from the crashes to (possibly) help solve the issue. (edit) I also uploaded my dxdiag, in case my other system specs are gonna be requested.

Hope you guys can help me,

Greets

A:Radeon HD 3850 crashes

The AGP standard is getting old. How old is this PC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radeon-hd-3850-crashes.169840/
Relevancy 17.63%

I am looking for a way to bring an old IBM desktop machine that I built Into more sutible working conditions. Does any one have any Ideas on how I can update the innerds of my computer?
I know this very vauge but I dont have the computer with me now and am looking to stock up on what I need (Info and parts) Before I get back to it.
\Thanks?

A:Best way to update graphics on five-year-old IBM desktop

We heed to know the components you have before we can recommend upgrades. What is the IBM model number - or better a link to the IBM spec list for it - and what new components did you put in?

Also, what is your budget and how do you use the PC?

For a starter on learning about video card upgrades, I recommend this site:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/

Pay particular attention to the criteria page that addresses system constraints in the upgrade process - and helps you define your wants and needs in a way that is useful:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/criteria.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-update-graphics-on-five-year-old-ibm-desktop.169271/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have an inspiron 1520 laptop and it says that SMART reports that the hard drive may soon fail.

"Error:Reallocated Sector Count has reached its threshold. Current value is 135 and threshold is 140.
According to S.M.A.R.T. specifications, your hard disk is failing and needs to be immediately replaced. Backup your data as soon as possible. "

1. Is this because of physical damage?
2. If I replace it with a new one, will I have to re-install windows xp?

What will I do? This computer doesn't come with a XP CD, it just gives me option for system restore or dell restore back to factory settings...

A:S.M.A.R.T. reports hard disk is failing

When a failure is anticipated by S.M.A.R.T., the drive should be replaced.
You will need to re-install you operating system.

you can contact dell and they maybe be able to ship you a set of disks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/s-m-a-r-t-reports-hard-disk-is-failing.166982/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hey guys Long story short one of the HD s in my RAID array was being reported as failing Intel Matrix Storage Manager gave me a message inside of windows and on boot the RAID controller said the disk was failing as well So I went disk lose 0 RAID not data trying to failing, and got another HD of equal size The old HD is WD KS and the new one is WD JS so theyre pretty much identical I booted up with only the new and old drives in my PC into Ubuntu Live CD got the ddrescue package and cloned my HD Now I reconnected all my old drives where they were replacing the old failing one with the new cloned one RAID 0 disk failing, trying not to lose data At boot the RAID Manager gives me Unknown Member for the new drive and the nd drive in the array is marked Member Offline What to do I fear that if I remove the drives from the array and create a new one Ill loose all the data Im stuck Help nbsp

A:RAID 0 disk failing, trying not to lose data

Hi, I'm no expert on RAID set ups but found this guide below which may help. It describes the process you have used but there may be some important parts of the process that you missed, notably that you have not used an identical drive to clone to and the disconnection of the drive from the array before cloning.

This information came from here where there are a few other posts that may be usefull.

http://ask.metafilter.com/66389/how-to-clone-failing-disk-in-RAID-0-array

Any number of drive cloning tools exist that will make exact sector copies. Acronis True Image or Symantec Ghost are often used by Windows users, but many freeware options exist in the UNIX world, such as dd command line tool, which you can run off a bootable Ubuntu or Knoppix CD. You make a bootable disk or CD, disconnect your failing drive from the RAID array, and put it on one channel of a basic IDE or SATA disk controller (pull your RAID controller if its not motherboard based - if it is, you'll have to break the RAID in BIOS, after powering down and disconnecting drives). Plug in a second drive on that same controller, and boot off the bootable media you made that contains the clone tool. Use the clone tool to clone. Substitute the clone drive in the RAID array.

For this to work however, you have to use identical models of drives, and your RAID controller needs not to have put drive markers in the MBR of the drives that have been computed from interrogating drive firmware. Some controllers are easy to fool, and others, with better security awareness, are very tough to fool.

RAID 0 as your primary storage is no way to run a PC, as PC grade hardware is nowhere near reliable enough to do this without recurring trouble. And RAID, even RAID 5 or 6, is no substitute for backing up.Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-0-disk-failing-trying-not-to-lose-data.167083/
Relevancy 18.06%

After doing some research...(I feel fairly stupid) I have figured out that a Ati Radeon Hd 5400 Series graphics card, is not the best for gaming. I got this PC for Christmas from iBuypower. Here are my specs:

CPU AMD Athlon II X2 250
CPU Speed 3.00 Ghz
Motherboard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co.
Motherboard Model GA-770T-USB3
Ram 4 Gigabytes
Power Supply MaxPower PX-480 (480w)

And I am from the US.
Thx to cfitzarl for the guide to opening a new thread.
BTW I play games like WOW and Rift soon to be Magicka.

Relevancy 18.06%

Planning to upgrade my graphic card here are the current specs :

Intel C2D 2.8 Ghz
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Intel DG31 PR
250 GB HDD

Currently using Nvidia 8400 GS.Max monitor resolution is 1400x900 but will be upgrading to a bigger monitor in a few months.
Will also upgrade psu for the new card budget is around 150$ excluding the psu cost but am willing to extend or reduce the budget.Need the card to play games at higher settings.Please suggest a good card for me Thanks.

A:Graphic card update

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-520 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphic-card-update.166962/
Relevancy 19.35%

Im having trouble with my newly built computer freezing at random points during my startup and if it does boot up all the way it always freezes on the "Shutting Down" screen. Im running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) and have reinstalled it two times.
Here is what I currently have in it:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI
G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
WD 1TB HDD
500W Power supply

A:Freshly built computer freezes at random points during startup

Sounds like there could be an issue with your BIOS... either needs to be flashed to a newer version to fully support the X6 processor or the settings just need to be tweaked. Make sure your memory is running in accordance to factory spec and that your voltages for both CPU and RAM is within acceptable range.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/freshly-built-computer-freezes-at-random-points-during-startup.165791/
Relevancy 18.06%

I hope this hasn t been asked already I searched for similar questions but there are a vast number of topics already posted that I don t think I even scratched the surface This is the second time I ve recieved a notification update? Recommend BIOS from Dell Support Center with the recommendation to update my BIOS I didn t do it the first time because I had no idea what I was doing and Recommend BIOS update? knew that messing with your BIOS could cause some serious problems This time I figure I will ask the experts first This is the message I am getting quot BIOS UPDATE AVAILABLE There is a critical new BIOS update available This critical BIOS update will fix problems or add features to the computer Recommend BIOS update? s BIOS It is strongly recommended to update to this latest BIOS quot Short sweet and to the point My question is whether or not it seems like a good idea to go ahead and do the update Recommend BIOS update? In regards to BIOS updates I ve been told quot if it ain t broke don t fix it quot but if the update will speed things up or have some benefit I m interested Also if it does seem like a good thing to do how do I go about it so I don t end up with a paper weight Thanks for the help nbsp

A:Recommend BIOS update?

I would agree with your final comment, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". But, on the other hand if Dell are pushing this recommendation then it may have some benefits, just make certain it is coming from Dell and not some bogus site. Go to the official Dell support site and look up your PC's drivers, it will show you in there what the latest version the Bios is, just check it against what you have. Go into Bios at boot and it will be written at the top of the screen.

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=bt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recommend-bios-update.165610/
Relevancy 29.24%

I am almost in tears now All my pictures videos and other important irreplaceable files are in my Western Digital passport hard disk - about GB worth of it The Problem what happened I plug - WD help is data saving need Passport My failing on my Hard Disk as usual but this time when I click on certain folders it gets jammed and though I can still cruise through the folders all the files had disappeared I try safely removing the hard drive but it says that the hard drive is still in use so I just pull it off When I plug it back on I was relieved Everything was there but after about mins and or going to certain folders My WD Passport is failing - need help saving data - BAM - it happens again - freezes and everything My WD Passport is failing - need help saving data disappears And again the My WD Passport is failing - need help saving data hard drive cant even be safely ejected and I have to pull it off So I plugged it back amp I tried saving some of my pictures the pictures were copying fine until it got to a certain picture - BAM - it freezes said something like Access denied or no specified file to copy Now I m so scared to even plug it back on What happened to those files corrupted due to virus attack irretrievable But I can still see it there it even previewed OMG Please help me I m going out of my mind Its enough that my laptop is dieing and now my hard disk too How am I going to save my data nbsp

A:My WD Passport is failing - need help saving data

Take the Passport to a computer repair shop or back where you bought it and have them recover your data to a new external drive before it's too late. You will need a new external drive anyway

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-wd-passport-is-failing-need-help-saving-data.165281/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hello on update Can't my Asus UL30VT! driver graphics I m not sure this belongs in this forum section so if it doesn t please don t bite my head off All right so about a month ago the laptop I used to game with broke because of a water accident Thus I cannot get it repaired for free and my poor little student budget can t afford a repair So now I Can't update my graphics driver on Asus UL30VT! m using my tiny UL VT to game with until Can't update my graphics driver on Asus UL30VT! I can get hold of someone who can repair my dear laptop for something cheaper than what the store I bought it at charges for it - And it has been coping surprisngly fine considering that it isn t a laptop meant for that But yesterday I ran into a problem where I am forced to update my graphics driver to be able to play on decent graphics in most of my games So I downloaded the newest driver from nvidia and everything was fine until it told me that it couldn t install because it couldn t find the hardware itself I got told that s because of the option to switch betweens graphics Intel GMA X MHD and NVIDIA GeForce G M in my UL VT and thus I need to get a special driver from ASUS But that driver s nowhere to be found So are anyone here able to tell me where I can find the driver I need It really annoys me to have to play on the lowest graphics possible just because of a stupid driver problem THanks in advance nbsp

A:Can't update my graphics driver on Asus UL30VT!

ASUS driver

Been to the ASUS driver download page, BUT it was blank at first try, so forced it to reload the page;
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
There are 2 drivers listed for your UL30VT, 1) is a patch , (V1.0.0.1)@116KB, and
2) nVidia graphic driver, (V8.15.11.8688)@ 97MB.
These are for Windows 7. Hope this is what you meant.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-update-my-graphics-driver-on-asus-ul30vt.161462/
Relevancy 21.93%

I'm having some serious issues with my PC; I recently switched Motherboards to an M2N-SLI board with my Radeon HD 4880 graphics card. I updated my drivers and everything, but I still get crashes whenever I start a graphics intensive game (Portal 2, even CS:S) I'm not sure what it could be. Any help available?

A:Radeon HD 4880 crashes after switching to M2N-SLI Mobo

When you changed motherboards did you re-use the old hard drive? If so, did you reinstall Windows or perform a Windows repair? If neither, then try a repair first. If that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall Windows from scratch.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radeon-hd-4880-crashes-after-switching-to-m2n-sli-mobo.165104/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hello everybody

So i bought this Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive, but i am experiencing really strange sounds with it.
So occasionally the hard drive would "reload".. for example, just after i open a program, everything would hang for about 3 seconds, and the hard drive would make sound like if it would spin faster and then make a click sound, and after that, everything goes back to normal again.
This is a 3 week old drive, but i noticed it some days after i bought it. It is not my OS drive, i'm running my Windows 7 32bit on an another HDD.
I have heard that click sound means the drive will fail soon, but i don't know so much about drives, i have had another samsung HDD in over 2 years without any problems, so this is something new for me...
thanks for any further help!

A:Hard drive failing?

Get Samsung's ES-Tool and test your drive with that. Then when it fails send it back to them for a replacement.

You are right that the sound you are hearing is a good indicator of a failing drive, be sure and get any important data backed up asap.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-failing.164648/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello Motherboard GA- VT P Combo rev x Current CPU Intel Pentium D GHz Target CPU Intel Core Quad ghz m a Graphics Nvidia GeForce GTS RAM x Corsair DDR GB OS Windows -bit Hard Drive gb Seagate Power Supply Antec Earthwatts W Max Hello i am about to lose it So i have the configuration as stated and i am trying to update the bios so that an intel core quad ghz m a works because that particular processor is listed on the cpu support list for my motherboard however to without BIOS Need floppy update when i try to use it i get a blank screen on startup no bios no nothing I narrowed it down to the bios because i also tried an intel core duo ghz m and had the same problem blank screen on startup and no bios So thats why at the moment i have a pentium d in Need to update BIOS without floppy because it worked so i figured since the core quad is on the support list but isnt working i should update the bios i downloaded the latest version FD and tried to run the exe from my desktop of windows but got the error quot This system Need to update BIOS without floppy does not support fullscreen mode Choose Close to terminate Need to update BIOS without floppy the application quot Fine so i noticed qflash in the bios area and realised thats the method of my current bios and went into it by pressing delete to enter setup then F for qflash Options were keep DMI data Enable with the option to disable I don t know what DMI data is save bios to floppy or update bios from floppy So I grab a floppy drive and plug it in one that I know is working from trying it on another pc The floppy drive doesn t work it doesn t register a floppy drive nor in windows or in qflash Turns out my input connecter for floppy seems to be busted on my motherboard Reason I think this is because I tried my power supply plugged into the floppy drive then the floppy ide into another pc s motherboard input and turned them on at the same time and I got the green light on the floppy drive working which means it s the input on my motherboard not my power supply nor the cable It seems the only way to update the bios is via floppy I tried putting the files onto a DVD and booting it but it didn t read any files as bootable I tried a usb but the only option in qflash is floppy AND THE MOTHERBOARD FLOPPY CONNECTER IS BUSTED I cant seem to do anything without it What do I do Is there another way of updating my bios I NEED to have support for a core quad Why does my floppy input not work Its just one problem after another Do such faults warrant repair from gigabyte Could a usb floppy be an option Would my primitive bios see a usb floppy as a floppy nbsp

A:Need to update BIOS without floppy

You didn't read the support list properly. The Core 2 Quad or Core 2 Duo processors are not supported. See here: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=1937 The N/A in the "Since BIOS Version" column means not supported. See the red note in the upper left of the page?

So you are wasting your time trying to update the BIOS. There's no point.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-update-bios-without-floppy.164518/
Relevancy 18.06%

Ok so I have a custom build PC. I have a Asus P5K motherboard. I have upgraded to Windows 7 due to vista sucking *** lmao. But the only problem with that is, my motherboard is not compatable with Windows 7. I keep getting the BSOD because i need to update my BIOS. What can I do to fix this..." BECIDES GOING BACK TO VISTA"

A:I can't update my BIOS

Have you tried using the Asus "EZ Flash 2" utility? Here is ASUS download page for your motherboard:
ASUS P5K

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-update-my-bios.163688/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello everyone As the title of this thread suggests I ve been having a problem with the connections tray of my laptop Essentially the light indicating Wi-Fi is on goes out and the taskbar icons that show me network connectivity stop responding Re-starting the computer regains functionality but before the computer shuts down I see an quot End Program - Connections Tray quot countdown dialog This only happens when I m using Wi-Fi and it occurs sporadically In an attempt to fix this problem I did both spyware and virus scans nothing was found I tried re-installing the drivers for my Wi-Fi card and that didn t fix the problem About this laptop - Dell Inspiron purchased in I upgraded the RAM in January of this year from GB to GB - OS Windows XP SP Information as provided by PC Wizard Platform Intel Centrino Mainboard Dell XD Chipset Intel i PM Processor Intel Core Duo T MHz Physical Memory MB x DDR -SDRAM Video Card ATI Mobility Radeon X Omega Hard Disk FUJITSU MHW BH GB DVD-Rom Drive SONY DVD -RW DW-Q A Monitor Type XD W NX - inches Network tray Connections crashes Card Broadcom BCM x Base-TX Fast Ethernet Controller Network Card Connections tray crashes Intel PRO Wireless ABG Golan Network Connection Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack -bit DirectX Version c October Advice appreciated - Connections tray crashes Mage nbsp

A:Connections tray crashes

Download and run Superantispyware Free and run it. Tell us what it finds

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connections-tray-crashes.163494/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hey guys I got a repair Hard after gone startup drive Sony Vaio VGN-FZ E about a year ago from my uncle who just got a new laptop The laptop was cleaned completly and a brand new copy of windows was installed on it Anyways it was working fine up until until yesterday where it crashed After rebooting a message appeared to boot into windows normally of to run startup repair I chose to boot into windows normally but it crashed soon after on the Windows Logo The second time I booted it into startup repair and let it run After I came back screen was no longer on startup repair and instead was displaying a black screen with quot Operating System Can t be found on it quot I know this message pops up if your hd gets loose so I turned teh computer off popped it over and made sure the hd was securely in place I booted it up again but I still got the message so I grabed my home premium disk to boot into the system recovery options I ran startup repair again but got an error saying that startup repair can t fix the problem because it can t detect a hd After that I went into System Image Recovery and into the advanced tab to see if the hd was still showing up there It wasn t but there was a new drive named Boot X which contains a Windows Folder and a Setup application Windows Installer Also the drive is showing that is has MB free of MB which doensn t make sense because the Windows folder alone is MB I even attempted to reinstall windows to see if it would be able to find the drive but it was also unable to recognize a drive to install unto Hard drive gone after startup repair I fear my hd may be broken and all my files completely lost Anyways hoping you guys might be able to provide some insightabout a possible fix or if I have ot buy a new drive Thanks I m gonna try using the methods in the quot How to recover your folders files when Windows won t boot quot but I have my doubts I m also gonna try installing windows onto an external hd and booting from there nbsp

A:Hard drive gone after startup repair

Sounds like your hard drive has failed to me.
You need to look in the BIOS to see if it is detected.
With older Sony models, you pressed F1 as the laptop was powering up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-gone-after-startup-repair.163658/
Relevancy 19.35%

When i boot up my Dell Inspiron 1545 there are two error messages one saying:

Run DLL
Error loading C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\iwufuloru.dll
The specified module could not be found

and

Run DLL
Error Loading C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\wsLeri.dll
The specified module could not be found

I looked for it through Windows Explorer but there is nothing there. Then in command prompt i tried deleting it, it said the file could not be found.

It isn't causing any defect tot the computer but it is annoying.

Thanks

* That's my sisters name censored not in the actual message

A:Error loading files at startup of Dell Inspiron 1545

I don't believe either is a legitmate file. Update you virus scan and run a full scan of C:\. If that doesn't find anything then update Malwarebytes and run a full scan. If you don't have malwarebytes you can get it at: www.malwarebytes.org.
If you find something and cannot get rid of it, take this to the forum at: http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html

It may also be remnants of some program you removed, but I don't think so.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-loading-files-at-startup-of-dell-inspiron-1545.163144/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hey has anyone ever heard of this I have a Dell laptop that told me it needed to update my video drivers so I did and all hell broke loose I couldn t issues 1536 Studio Dell after HD update run AVG everything was bogged down and it took FOREVER to open folders or files I tried restore it but all restores points were gone and I tried using Dell CDs to restore the HD put it keep failing I finally had to pull the drive out and hook it by USB to another system also running AVG and scanned it It said I had only two virii both Win Heur in Dell Studio 1536 HD issues after update the updated ATI drivers After it scanned I used AVG on the desktop computer to quarantine the files and heal them It told me it couldn t because they longer existed Then when I tried to look at the contents of that partition it was blank When I put it back in the laptop it tried to boot but fails saying no bootable media exists Now multiple errors are popping up with other hardware on the system I hooked it back up to the desktop and I can still see the drive but no files Any clues on what I ve done I posted in the virus and malware forum but they said it looked like a windows issue Any suggestions would be most appreciated TD Sorry I can t give any log files but they re just vanished nbsp

A:Dell Studio 1536 HD issues after update

You will probably have to purchase a Dell restore disc for your model laptop and do a fresh install of Windows

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-studio-1536-hd-issues-after-update.162700/
Relevancy 20.21%

I'm working as a student assistant at my university. The computer that I use at the desk there is a Dell GX 280. When I start the computer, the monitor works fine until I reach the login screen with the "Press Ctrl+Alt+Dlt" box, at which point the monitor goes black for a second, then returns, then goes black and so on. The monitor power button remains green throughout the hissy fit. This can last anywhere between five and ten minutes, regardless of if I log on or not.

Considering that the computer belongs to the university, I can't take it apart and look around inside. Despite this, if the problem most likely involves hardware, I can notify someone to (hopefully) replace it. What do you all think?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-blinking-on-startup.162148/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hey Built a new computer a few days ago and seems to run ok accept for the rd time now the screen has gone all fuzzy and as i cant select anything on screen i can only assume system has crashed too This seems to happen randomly and normally crashes with screen fuzzy Computer after the computer has been running a while today it has been running for about hours then did it Im running off the on board graphics card on my ASUS p h M-pro motherboard i have a grapohics card which i will be using soon once the correct Computer crashes with fuzzy screen cables come for it Does anyone know if this is a faulty monitor or motherboard graphics issue im not running any games video when this Computer crashes with fuzzy screen has happened also have a psu infact the full spec is Motherboard ASUS P H -M PRO Processer - i Ram - Corsair x gb Powersupply - W Graphics Card - Gainward GeForce GTX Monitor - LG Flatron W nbsp

A:Computer crashes with fuzzy screen

I suspect at first look that your PSU is under powered but would need to check it. What is the model and make of the PSU. How many hard drives and what make are they and likewise for the CD/DVD drives. What version of Windows are you running.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-crashes-with-fuzzy-screen.161878/