Windows Support Forum

What causes my network workgroup to fail

Q: What causes my network workgroup to fail

Hi I What to fail my workgroup causes network have four pc s connected through a GX-D ASUS switch which is now a few years old Two of the pc s have just been upgraded to windows the other two are on windows Also into the switch goes my BT broadband router and my network hp printer n Suddenly I am losing the complete network during normal use Instead of having green lights on my switch one of them goes amber and another has no light on at all If I unplug the switch from the power and then power back up all the What causes my network workgroup to fail lights go orange What causes my network workgroup to fail and then turn to green and the network comes back on This has never happened before until today and it has happened twice really frustrating I am not very techy and think the switch has became faulty Should I go buy a new switch or might it be something else Need it explaining in layman terms please as I don t have a clue Thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: What causes my network workgroup to fail

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: What causes my network workgroup to fail

Hi Shelley123. If your router has at least 4 Ethernet ports at the rear, there is no need for a switch as you have 4 pc's. If your "router" only has 1 Ethernet port, what you have is a modem. Normally, your Internet signal comes in and goes to a modem first, and if you have more than 1 pc or devices that need wireless connectivity,you would connect a wireless router to that single modem port and connect your 4 pc's to the 4 ports found on most routers.If you had at least 5 devices that need to be connected by Ethernet cable, you would use a switch which you would connect to one of your router's ports, then connect the fourth pc and any other Ethernet device to one of the 4 or more ports on the switch. Are you sure you are using a switch and not a hub? Could you tell us what other hardware you have in your network besides your 4 pc's which you connect by Ethernet cable?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-causes-my-network-workgroup-to-fail.197556/
Relevancy 61.06%

Small network/workgroup: Dell desktop w/USB printer + Laptop #1 + Laptop #2; all running Windows 7. Setting up Laptop #1 to print to printer was no trouble--at the end of the process it asked if I trusted my network and when I said "Yes" it accessed and installed the printer driver from the Dell desktop. Different story for Laptop #2: the process came to a point where it asked for a printer driver location. Putting in the printer install CD and pointing to it didn't work. So, I tried the route of setting up a new local printer port with "\\computer name\printer name." That got me to a point where I was to select the printer type from a list. My printer wasn't on the list. Using the Windows Update button yielded no results. So what next?
P.s. All computers are configured to share everything. The printer is set up to allow sharing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-printer-to-workgroup-fail.1063700/
Relevancy 59.77%

All the workstations in our office won't connect to the Internet after being shutdown for the evening It affects every one of our machines but at random times One machine won't connect one day and will the next This only happens after shutting down and only after a certain amount of time has passed When the machine does not connect after shutdown to our fail the Internet Workstatons in connect to workgroup it changes the Network type from Work to Public I tried turning off Network Discovery and Windows changes it back when a machine fails to connect I noticed that an affected machine when it changes to Public chooses a different Network from the Network List in the registry I deleted all the Network List Profiles except for the one being used and Windows goes and just recreates them again I've run anti-virus scans malwarebytes and rootkit scanner to no avail I've installed the MS Hot fixes suggested and everything I could find related to this issue on the Internet The LAN is not affected Workstatons in our workgroup fail to connect to the Internet after shutdown at all just the WAN I don't believe Workstatons in our workgroup fail to connect to the Internet after shutdown that it is a hardware issue because some of the workstations are on Workstatons in our workgroup fail to connect to the Internet after shutdown different dumb switches and are experiencing the same issues I've disabled anti-virus to see if that was the issue No luck Any suggestions would be most appreciated

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e8136109-44b4-4c45-a979-28471021fb9d/workstatons-in-our-workgroup-fail-to-connect-to-the-internet-after-shutdown?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 51.17%

Ya ya I know its real easy.... till you try....

I have a desktop on Vista and a laptop on Win 7.
The desktop is connected directly to the router and the laptop
connects remotely.

Anyhow, before I get to the nitty gritty, a question or two.

Do I do the setup from one machine or the other, or on both ?

Now, what is the easiest way to do this ?

p.s. looking into this a bit I see Vista has "workgroup'" and Win 7 has "workgroup'" and "homegroup" ?

Thanks

A:How to set up a workgroup and network

Welcome
Not that easy. If it were there would not be long articles about the subject. Hope this helps
How do I make Windows 7 HomeGroup content accessible to Vista and XP? | TechRepublic

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/291398-how-set-up-workgroup-network.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I'm running Windows 7 Pro. I noticed tonight when I clicked on Network in Windows Explorer that in addition to my home PCs there is a PC with someone's name on it. There's also a "Router" listed. My suspicion is that my wireless ISP has screwed up in some way. I ran SoftPerfect's Network Scanner and don't see any strange IP addresses, so this stranger's PC is not on my subnet. What tools are available to scan my network and give me more info about the stranger's PC and the "Router"? (I do not think the Router is my actual router since that's not its name.)

Relevancy 50.31%

Please help! I have a router and two (laptop and desktop) XP professional pcs connected as a workgroup. When I browse the network from the desktop it sees the laptop but cannot connect to it or ping it. The laptop can ping the desktop but doesn't see it when I browse from network places. Both computers are getting DHCP from the router and they can both browse the internet. I want to beable to share files and printing to each. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing. Oh, I have also created shares on each computer and have the same user account on each machine.

Thanks,
Zahr

A:[SOLVED] XP Pro Workgroup Network

Well you should be able to ping them if one can ping the other and get a response. Lets see the results of ipconfig /all on each machine first

start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-pro-workgroup-network.157245/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have just set my laptop and my pc on a home workgroup. I have shared everything needed from the pc, I was able to map a network drive for my files and a seperate drive for my wifes on the pc. I can connect to the X: with my files from the laptop but am unabble to connect to the Z: with my wifes files on it. I get the error message,
Z:\ is not accessible, access is denied, any help would be great!

A:Workgroup network drives

Are you referring to her My Documents?
Did you give yourself file and share permissions to her files on that comptuer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-network-drives.569497/
Relevancy 50.31%

Trying to set up a home network with 2 computers, both XP Pro and using a router for internet and network access. I've gone through the procedures several times. On computer 1 ("network" printer attached), when I try to "view network computers," I get a message that says that I am not authorized to access my workgroup. On computer 2, I can see both computers through the network when I "view network computers," but, when I try to see what is on computer 1, I get a message stating that computer 1 is inaccessible. In both cases the message also indicates that I may not have the required permission. I am logged on as an administrator on both PCs, so I think that shouldn't be an issue, but who knows!!!

A:Can't Access My Own Workgroup on a New Network

Closing duplicate to another thread already in progress: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/673583-can-t-access-my-own.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-my-own-workgroup-on-a-new-network.673661/
Relevancy 50.31%

I can't see the other two computers on my workgroup network.

A:I can't see the other two computers on my workgroup network.

Well, have you turned on the sharing on ALL machines?

Do you have the same Workgroup listed on all machines?

Do you have a common account on ALL machines, this accounts needs to the same user name and same password?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cant-see-the-other-two-computers-on-my-workgroup-network.1166858/
Relevancy 50.31%

I am trying to connect my computer to MSHOME workgroup I have reviewed several other posts dealing with similar issues Checked quot Services quot and have included ipconfig nbtstat and net view info below Pinging this machine returns packets and pinging from this machine returns packets I am getting a system error when i run net view and can t find any more info Network adapter is functional workgroup to connect Can't network and still can access internet Just can t access other computers on my home network quot MSHOME is not accessable quot Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Jeff gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name DW Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel Can't connect to network workgroup R PRO MTW Can't connect to network workgroup Network Connec tion Physical Address - F- F- - - C Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Monday October PM Lease Expires Tuesday October P M C Documents and Settings Jeff gt nbtstat -n Local Area Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- DW lt gt UNIQUE Registered MSHOME lt gt GROUP Registered DW lt gt UNIQUE Registered MSHOME lt E gt GROUP Registered C Documents and Settings Jeff gt net view System error has occurred A device attached to the system is not functioning Click to expand nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

I am trying to setup my computer so they can share files in a workgroup. I have set a workgroup on my 2 computer however when I look at the workgroup in My Network it is only showing the respective computer and not the other computer. I have set up files to share and a printer and nothing shows. I am accessing the internet via a Actiontec DSL Modem that also has a Linksys Broadband Wireless Router (WRT54G) attached. One of my computer is directly connected to the router via a Ethernet connection and the other computer connects wirelessly. Both computers get onto the internet fine but they just don't see other regarding the files/printer I want to share between them. I hope someone can help me figure out this problem.

Thank you,

Mike

Relevancy 50.31%

I could 'see' my shared XP machine and my MacBook from my Win7 computer over my wireless network last night be cannot see them now. I can 'see' the Win7 from the XP machine on Workgroup computers but I cannot 'see' any computers from my Win7 network now.

I have seen another post like this but the solution there was to buy another wireless router but I just bought a new Netgear 11n router and it is working fine for internet access.

A:Workgroup Computers come and go on Network

This may be due to the changes in the network stack of windows 7 (and Vista), the changes require an update to XP to utilise the Link Layer Topology.

I believe this is included in later service packs and updates but it can be downloaded manually if needed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

As for the MAC i'm not sure what updates are available there

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/34464-workgroup-computers-come-go-network.html
Relevancy 50.31%

i have a little problem with uninstall workgroup that i install.
when i go to: My Network Places -> View workgroup computers i see a network with a name "home". when i double click it i see one computer. and i don't need this "home" network at all. how i can uninstall it?

thanks.

A:network/workgroup uninstall help

Every computer has a workgroup or domain assigned to it. You can't get rid of it. It doesn't really matter if its the only machine you have anyways. It probably just shows your machine. If it is showing other machines and you don't want it to, then you can change your workgroup to something else so nothing shows up. The workgroup name is just something for peer to peer networks. If you only have one PC, then you don't need to worry about it. It is probably just showing your computer.

That's just like saying that you don't need a computer name. You have to have one, even if it is no use to you. Just the way it is.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-workgroup-uninstall-help.440686/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have five computers in the network, all identifiable, and another one, called Anonymous. I have two workgroups, and Anonymous is in both of them.

I connect all computers either wirelessly or wired through a router/modem wireless.

I have zonealarm and firewall, wpa password set on router/modem.

Then after 30 or so minutes, anonymous disappears!?!?

What is the possibility of this being a ghost? I never had this pop up until recently. Did virus check and nothing came up. I'm concerned someone may have hacked into my account.

I recently installed Windows XP Black on one of my PCs (pirated), and sometimes I wonder if people who create these pirates can have access to your computers?

A:Workgroup network - Anonymous

Remove that copy/delete and Use genuine Windows XP OS from your CD. Turn off the XP Black from your network what happens if you do that?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/workgroup-network-anonymous.130299/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have two Windows 7 64 bit systems that worked perfectly until approx two weeks ago. They started becoming unresponsive to various websites, such as b1015.com (unable to listen live). Both computers then started having problems opening sites through google searches.

Following this, most updates on both computers fail. Downloads from the internet fail. Updating flash on one - failed. downloading .net framework update - failed.

One computer has MSE - updated and ran scan - no threats found
One computer has AVast - updated and ran scan - no threats found

Tried to download malwarebytes on the computer with avast - failed
went to XP station - downloaded to thumb drive and installed from thumb drive and ran  - no threats found

from cmd prompt -  ran sfc /scannow on both computers  -  no problems found

Can anyone give me any ideas of where to go from here to get both of these computers working properly again

VR-

Bec

A:Updates Fail/Downloads Fail/Flash Sites Fail x2 computers

The first place to start is are you getting any error messages when the updates fail? What do the messages state -- for example, do you get any error codes? Please post that information here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498794/updates-faildownloads-failflash-sites-fail-x2-computers/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have computers on a network PCs are using XP PC is using Vista PC is using Windows all computers use the same Network name all computers use the in workgroup a Connect to a network Solved: same Solved: Connect to a workgroup in a network workgroup name All computers are visible in the network I can Ping each PC from Any one of the PCs The windows pc can access all of the files amp Folders in the workgroup on all PCs using XP The PC using Vista can access all of the files amp Folders in the workgroup on all PCs using XP The PC using windows can assess the public files amp Folders on the PC using Vista The PC using Vista can assess the public files amp Folders on the PC using Windows The PCs using Vista amp Windows are both Wireless Now my problem Solved: Connect to a workgroup in a network is that I can not access any user files or Solved: Connect to a workgroup in a network Folders on the PC using Vista from the PC using Windows or any of the PCs using Xp I can not access any user files or Folders on the PC using Windows from the PC using Vista or any of the PCs using Xp From any PC trying to access the C Drive on The PC using Vista I get this error ACCESS DENIED ERROR CODE x And From any PC trying to access the C Drive on The PC using Windows I get this error Windows cannot access PCNAME c Check spelling of the name Otherwise there might be a problem with your network To try to identify and resolve network problems click diagnose ERROR CODE x Access Denied nbsp

A:Solved: Connect to a workgroup in a network

Windows 7 will not connect to any other workgroup other than windows 7. If you want share your network with Windows XP, Vista, and/or Windows 7 Click this link and follow the instructions. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/ And share your files and folders thru your network and forget WORKGROUP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-connect-to-a-workgroup-in-a-network.976316/
Relevancy 49.88%

I am having a small problem with my home network Before I delve into the details here is my configuration and a few things that I have done so far - I have a desktop and a laptop both running XP SP - The desktop is hard-wired to a Linksys WRT- GX wireless router and the laptop connects wirelessly - Windows Firewall is disabled on both systems - The Router has an SPI Firewall enabled - Norton Internet Security is enabled on both systems - I configured the Norton firewall on both systems to fully trust the other system - I ran the Windows Network Wizard to enable File amp Print Sharing on both systems - Selected directories have been shared on each system I can access the shared folders from the desktop to laptop and vice versa I can PC's issue access Network with Workgroup transfer files between the two and run executables I can even take remote Network access issue with Workgroup PC's control of each from the other system via pcAnywhere When I run Explorer on my laptop I can drill down through My Network Places Entire Network Microsoft Windows Network and the network workgroup name When I select the Workgroup name both systems are listed When I select the remote desktop pc I see all of the shares that I defined and I can access them That is working as expected The weird part is that when I attempt to access my laptop shares from the desktop with the exact same process I receive a message stating that computer is not accessible and that I might not have permission to use this network resource This happens when I select the laptop computer name that is listed under the network workgroup name Now I can map a drive with a net use command from my desktop to the laptop without issue Once I do this the assigned network drive letter along with the share name and laptop computer name is displayed in Explorer under the My Computer section and I can select it and access the files But if I Network access issue with Workgroup PC's try and select the laptop computer name under My Network Places I receive the same access error message I can also access the laptop shares by typing the unc share path in the Explorer address bar at the top of the screen The same is true if I type in the unc share path at the Run option under the Start button Note if I type just the laptop computer name in the address bar or in the Run option LaptopComputerName I receive the same access error as I do under My Network Places If I do the same thing in Explorer on my laptop I do not receive the access error All of the desktop shares are displayed Just for giggles I briefly disabled the Norton firewall on both systems and experienced the same issue Does anybody have an idea why I only have an issue accessing the laptop under My Network Places and how to fix it

A:Network access issue with Workgroup PC's

It sounds like the laptop name has changed, but the old name still exists as a share name. Reconfirm the laptop computer name, and you might just change the name to see if that makes a difference.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-access-issue-with-workgroup-pcs-540830.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Trying to set up a home network with 2 computers, both XP Pro and using a router for internet and network access. I've gone through the procedures several times. On computer 1 ("network" printer attached), when I try to "view network computers," I get a message that says that I am not authorized to access my workgroup. On computer 2, I can see both computers through the network when I "view network computers," but, when I try to see what is on computer 1, I get a message stating that computer 1 is inaccessible. In both cases the message also indicates that I may not have the required permission. I am logged on as an administrator on both PCs, so I think that shouldn't be an issue, but who knows!!!

Relevancy 49.88%

I've just installed win7pro/64 on 2 computers on a workgroup network with file sharing enabled on the c drive of both computers and get the "no permission" message. I enabled the network selection to work rather than home or public. Looking for the cure.

A:Sharing between 2 win7pro64 in workgroup network

With Windows 7 the default sharing is enabled by default from the C:>Users folder rather than from the root of the C: drive so it's best to change those settings back on the C: drive.

If you want to share any of the C:Users\Username folders then you need to add permissions via the advanced Sharing tab at the C:Users>Username folder, because by default this folder has a lock on it.

All this complication can easily be avoided by simply creating a Homegroup on one machine then joining the other machine to the Homegroup using the Homegroup password.

Homegroup - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/335842-sharing-between-2-win7pro64-workgroup-network.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Once a machine is set up as a domain server, can it be changed to a standard peer-to-peer workgroup computer or does tha OS have to be reloaded from scratch.

A:Converting Domain network to Workgroup

It can be converted, I believe it's pretty simple for Server 2000 or 2003. As I recall, it was much more difficult with NT Server.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-domain-network-to-workgroup.357413/
Relevancy 49.88%

Im not sure this is the right place but here goes I have one PC running and a Popcorn hour media streamer Both connected to a router via cable Since i upgraded to from my PCH now cant see the workgroup in its network browser window but it connects to the shares i have set up on it from my PC All three devices see can cant Network workgroup streamer but connect. have been rebooted many times over that past few days the PC goes off at night as does the PCH Ive not changed anything on the PCH and nothing on the PC although maybe something was reset when i upgraded It wasn't a clean install but then it wasn't the previous time and i had no issues The PC can see and access the PCH without any problems Ive never had to mess with the windows firewall before to get this working but im now thinking maybe i need to Any ideas what can have happened I know i should have done a clean install but as both devices are seeing each other sort Network streamer cant see workgroup but can connect. of starting again is a last resort Dave

A:Network streamer cant see workgroup but can connect.

sorry to say... but this is why its highly recommended to not do upgrades from interim builds. Especially from a beta/preRC to the "official" RC.... wasnt the real intention of MS. The reason being is, how many ppl will have to upgrade their PC to win7 from some interim/leaked build? not many, this is why the only upgrade talk was for vista users. Also strongly recommending to do a clean install if on the beta... which means any beta in real smarts talk. Not flaming you here, just trying to get you and others to realize that this is a proper way of doing things in a "test" field scenario, which this is.

Yes, there are ways TO upgrade (from betas). When i think of ppl doing this, chevy chase and the lampoons vacation movies come to mind for some reason. Something usually turns another something into a bigger problem, that could have been avoided with a little thought instead of haste. (great flicks tho)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/8299-network-streamer-cant-see-workgroup-but-can-connect.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi there, how is everyone? Been going here for help for a while now, but everything I've read here about this type of issue has given me no fixes.

I'm attempting to setup a home network between my desktop, wired, and my laptop, wireless. Both are running WinXP home.

I've tried using WinXP's network setup wizard with no luck. I've read quite a few different guides/troubleshooters on the web, and even with those I can't seem to get this to work.

My laptop now shows under Network Connections as Enabled, Shared, Firewalled, my desktop simply Connected, Firewalled.

I'm not sure what other information you guys are going to need, so let me know.

Thanks in advance, you guys are lifesavers.

Relevancy 49.88%

I cannot get this to work for the life of me. I have searched this forum, and others.

-I have set the workgroup identically on my windows 7 machine and my 10.6 MBP.

-I CAN smb to my windows 7 machine successfully.

-Neither my windows 7 or mac os x recognize one another in their respective network "browsers"

-With iTunes open on both machines, it successfully recognizes the libraries.

I am not a networking genius, but I'm fairly literate if someone could help me out, please.

This could be a whole separate issue, but even when connected to my windows 7 machine through VPN, the machines don't show up on their respective network "browsers"

Thanks

A:Workgroup/network sharing Mac OS X(I have searched)

Quote: Originally Posted by opsis

I cannot get this to work for the life of me. I have searched this forum, and others.

-I have set the workgroup identically on my windows 7 machine and my 10.6 MBP.

-I CAN smb to my windows 7 machine successfully.

-Neither my windows 7 or mac os x recognize one another in their respective network "browsers"

-With iTunes open on both machines, it successfully recognizes the libraries.

I am not a networking genius, but I'm fairly literate if someone could help me out, please.

This could be a whole separate issue, but even when connected to my windows 7 machine through VPN, the machines don't show up on their respective network "browsers"

Thanks

Hi Opsis, and welcome.

1. What do you mean by network browsers?

2. You gave the same network name on both machines?

3. Have you created at least one shared folder on the machines?

4. Do you have them connected through a router?

5. DCHP or fixed ip's?

6. Can the machines ping each other?

7. Can you post a command prompt after entering ipconfig /all,
and respective command on the mac?
(I don't know abything about mac's.)

Greetings

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/28465-workgroup-network-sharing-mac-os-x-i-have-searched.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi

I have three PCs in my network. Two running XP professional and one running XP home edition.

Two PCs (One professional and the Home) work fine and are no problem.

On the third I recently removed LogMeIn.

On that machine, when I create the WORKGROUP network, the new network entry fails to display under My Network Places \ Entire Network.

Instead 'LogMeIn Virtual Disk Network' alone displays.

It would appear that the WORKGROUP has been created and is working (as I can see this machine under the WORKGROUP on the other two systems) but the workgroup fails to display.

The display is vital as it is required when I want to attach a network drive to the system.

It has been suggested that I remove entries relating to LogMeIn from the registry but this causes the system to crash on a reboot.

Thanks in anticipation.

Stuart

Relevancy 49.88%

This is a clean install of Vista on a Gateway notebook, using the OS CD supplied by Gateway.

System is a Intel Core 2 Dou 1.83 CPU with 4GB of RAM.

320GB harddrive, the C Drive is about 75GB after repartitioning it.

The install of Vista went smoothly and I have updated everything via Windows Update.

My problem is that I can not change the name of the network workgroup from "WORKGROUP" to "HOME".

When I get in there to do it it lets me make the change, but when I click OK to save it I get the following error...

"The following error occurred validating the name "STEVE-LAPTOP".
A general network error occurred."

I tried doing it in safe mode and it is greyed out there I can't even type in a new name.

Thanks;
Steve

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/184480-unable-change-network-workgroup-name.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have computers on a network PCs are using XP PC is using Vista PC is using Windows all computers use the same Network name all computers Connect in network a to workgroup a Solved: use the same workgroup name All computers are visible in the network I can Ping each PC from Any one of the PCs The windows pc can access all of the files amp Folders in the workgroup on all PCs using XP The PC using Solved: Connect to a workgroup in a network Vista can access all of the files amp Folders in the workgroup on all PCs using XP The PC using windows can assess the public files amp Folders on the PC using Vista The PC using Vista can assess the public files amp Folders on the PC using Windows The PCs using Vista amp Windows are both Wireless Now my problem is that I can not access any user files or Folders on Solved: Connect to a workgroup in a network the PC using Vista from the PC using Windows or any of the PCs using Xp I can not access any user files or Folders on the PC using Windows from the PC using Vista or any of the PCs using Xp From any PC trying to access the C Drive on The PC using Vista I get this error ACCESS DENIED ERROR CODE x And From any PC trying to access the C Drive on The PC using Windows I get this error Windows cannot access PCNAME c Check spelling of the name Otherwise there might be a problem with your network To try to identify and resolve network problems click diagnose ERROR CODE x Access Denied nbsp

A:Solved: Connect to a workgroup in a network

The problem was. Windows 7 will not connect to any other workgroup other than windows 7. If you want to network your Windows XP, Vista, and/or Windows 7 Click this link and follow the instructions. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/ And share your files and folders thru your network. Forget WORKGROUP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-connect-to-a-workgroup-in-a-network.976281/
Relevancy 49.88%

I've been searching the web looking for any resources that can tell me what protocols are required to set up a Windows workgroup between two Windows 8 machines. Is there any difference for two Windows 7 machines? It seems like TCP/IP is a good place to start but which supporting protocols are required if any?

Thank you

A:Which network protocols are required to set up a workgroup

If you have not made changes to Services.msc, the computer will connect to a Network and SMB will allow you to connect to shares. For what services do what. See ? Service Configurations

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/51107-network-protocols-required-set-up-workgroup.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have 2 XP Pro SP 3 connected to a DLink DI 524 router. The WAN wireless works fine. Both are wired into the LAN with ethernet. I have a workgroup set up called "HOME". My laptop (MTCMOBILE)" can see my desktop "MTC" and mount drives which are connected to MTC. From MTCMOBILE I can ping both the router and MTC. The only annoying thing is in My Network Places I have so search for MTC every time. However (here is the real issue) the connectivity seem to be only one way. From MTC I can ping the router but I cannot ping MTCMOBILE. I can see MTCMOBILE in My Network Places as a member of the workgroup HOME but when I try to connect I get a permissions denied error. This is really annoying. Please help, thanks

A:XP Pro workgroup and network setup problem

Sounds like a firewall issue. Try disabling all firewalls and test.... if it works... then enable whatever u use till u find the problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-pro-workgroup-and-network-setup-problem-299962.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I am operating Windows XP computers, three of them to be exact. I create a home network workgropup called "PNet2". I have used the wireless setup disk to put this network on all computers in the house. I've made sure that all computers have the same workgroup name. The only workgroup that shows up on each computer is itslf. It does not show the other three computers. I was finally able to see all computers on one of my computers, but when I click on it, i get the error message PNet2is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

I have googled and tried almost everything I can think off. Please help as I am trying to share files and a printer on all computers.

A:Cannot Connect to Any Workgroup on Home Network

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

If nothing there helps you, please post this for each computer.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-connect-to-any-workgroup-on-home-network.794698/
Relevancy 49.88%

Yeah I have tried every possible username password combo I have ever EVERYTHING??? Prompt Network Workgroup almost Password tried created The thing is that it works great all day then put both PC's to Workgroup Network Password Prompt tried almost EVERYTHING??? sleep and when they are awaken it will do it Every passwword is rejected and then randomly I will click on the computers folder containing shared stuff and it opens proper then the mapped drives all get the blue border like normal and they work Ive been battling it for weeks now and every googled solution has either not worked or maybe worked once and then the next day doesnt The only thing I havnt done is the create DWORD registry value which Im clueless as to how to properly do it Setup is win home premium and win ultimate all bit workgroup name is same for all and PC's all have different names Sharing Workgroup Network Password Prompt tried almost EVERYTHING??? settings are full control read write for quot EVERYONE quot and password Workgroup Network Password Prompt tried almost EVERYTHING??? protected sharing is OFF All of the other advanced network and sharing options are all properly set for sharing I have put the same profile username password on each workgroup pc with admin rights I can join them on a quot homegroup quot but cant map network drive with a homegroup shared folder I swear I have spent hours reading forums before I went through with registering and posting but I'm getting desperate If anyone can help just let me know I'll check back often and will surely update if ever solved If I left out something helpfull let me know The computers are hooked to a wireless router and have never had internet issues and the computer with shares is always visible but randomly decides it needs this network password

A:Workgroup Network Password Prompt tried almost EVERYTHING???

Hi Trabang, Welcome to Seven Forums.
This is how I do it. Network File Sharing.pdf

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/212287-workgroup-network-password-prompt-tried-almost-everything.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I want to view all computers in my network. If I click "view workgroup computers", I can view only computers in my workgroup. There are more computers with different workgroup name in the network. I would like to view them as well. Is it possible?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-view-computers-in-different-workgroup-in-the-same-network.979397/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have a small home network with three computers, Bravo, Delta and Harpo. All are running Win 7 Home Prem. x64. I'm using workgroup networking and all parameters are set the same. All are sharing drives D and F. All have identical user names and passwords. The problem is: Bravo can read and write to Delta and Harpo, Harpo can read and write to Bravo and Delta, Delta can read and write to Harpo but attempting to access Bravo gives a popup asking for a Network user name and password. No known user name and password works. I've tried a number of suggestions found on this forum (system time/date, security and sharing permissions (both set to everyone full control), etc. and nothing has changed. I've about pulled my hair out on this one. Any help appreciated.

A:One Workgroup computer wants Network Password

After 5 days of constantly checking the shares the problem has slowly resolved to the point that delta is now almost never asked for a network password when accessing bravo. Nothing done in the last 5 days except occasionally retrying the share. From other posts in various forums intermittently asking for a network password appears to be an occasional quirk of Win 7 workgroup networking especially with Home Premium. No one seems to have found a reason or a fix.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/308493-one-workgroup-computer-wants-network-password.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi I have a problem with accessing shared resources over my home network I have a windows vista desktop and xp laptop I was able to share drives and printers before and for some reason can t anymore I did change ISP s and pc's on Can't network detect workgroup in Solved: appear to have started having issues since around that time I checked with them and there Solved: Can't detect pc's in workgroup on network are no settings on the router that would cause this Desktop connects via wired connection to my wireless router Laptop connects via wireless connection I tried the resetting of IP settings as suggested in another post on the vista pc with no result When I try to access from xp in network places under view workgroup computers it things for a minute and says that my network name is not accessible and that I may not have permission I have been fighting with this on and off for some time and can t see what is wrong at all Can someone pls let me know if there is a simple solution to this I am a homegrown pc tech and hate not being able to solve this type of problem Thanks Robby nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

This is going to drive me insane! Ive had this problem for a while now.This is the basic explanation:

I am in a house with about 7 other computers (8 computers total). And when i go to "My Network Places" and then proceed to click on "View workgroup computers" its completely blank. My workgroup is accessible but i cant see any computers including my own and all the computers are on the the same workgroup . Ive tried pinging which works. I can ping every computer in the house but cant access them and i don't have a firewall installed (and windows firewall is off, likewise for the other computers) and the other computers only have standard anti-virus including my own computer. When i try to type the address in the address bar for example "\\10.0.0.10" it just says network resource is not available or not accessible. what could it be? Need help asap thanks.

Relevancy 49.88%

i m unable to join and share files on a private office workgroup, although i use the lan wire in the office to connect to my laptop...how do share files..there is no firewall or anything..i and the entire office use windowsXP...help

Relevancy 49.45%

Had the same network of about 40 computers for several years. Suddenly this week, trying to view workgroup computers via My Network Places is unstable. Sometimes it will show half the computers, sometimes just one or two, sometimes it says my network is not available. I might not have permission...No more connections can be made to this remote computer.

I've been googling for a couple days now and I can't find anything that works.

I can ping all the computers.
All computers can access the internet.
All computers cannot see the whole network anymore. Last week, it was fine. I didn't make any changes.

I did update all computers via Microsoft Update during the last two weeks.

My workaround is to type \\computername and I can get to everyone, but I want resolution...closure. I want the network to work again like last week!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

Thanks,
Lisa

Relevancy 49.45%

Hi folks

Hope somebody can help me here.
I'm in charge of our present network here at work, however i'm no geek (no offense), only just manage to somehow keep it running
The network is setup with a Domain server (NT4) and all of the PC's that are in it are either XP Pro SP1 or SP2.
My problem is actually allowing laptop PC's outside of the Domain (in say a Workgroup) to use printers inside of the Domain.
PCs with the original version of WinXP Pro SP1 installed can be seen and also the printers by the Laptops.
PCs with WinXP Pro SP2 installed can be seen but I am unable to see the printers. from the Laptops, WHY???
Laptops are connecting via a wireless connection and are able to surf the internet.
Hope this makes sense to someone and you are able to help me here.

Thanks inadvance

Relevancy 49.45%

hi,
i have set up my own home network, because being someone not that familiar with the networking stuffs, i somehow have created a WORKGROUP and things are running fine for the few pc at home, but now i realized that i have forgotten the password for this WORKGROUP,
anyone knows how to locate it? thanks.

KC

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e02d831b-82a5-46a5-ab5d-58f19163c9d5/how-to-find-out-the-password-of-my-home-network-workgroup?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 49.45%

I have 2 computers (2 desktops, both desktops have a wireless connection to the internet via a Netgear router and USB adapters). Both computers have the same workgroup name and all use Windows XP Home SP2. Both computers connect to the internet fine, however,I can open a file or folder from workgroup computer PC 2 from PC 1, but when I try to access a folder on PC1 from PC 2 I get an error message states that the file is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The network path was not found. Also, when I try to view workgroup computers from either PC I see only the comptuter I am searching from.

Other information that might be useful: Windows Firewalls are on, AVG Internet Security is installed and running on one and McAfee Security is running on the other one. I can ping each one to the othe fine. All permissions are properly set for sharing.

A:Cannot view workgroup computers via Wireless Network?

Can you ping both ways by computer name? Have you disabled all firewalls to see if this is a firewall issue?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-view-workgroup-computers-via-wireless-network.614697/
Relevancy 49.45%

I live in India. I have 12 computers in two workgroup (9 and 3), also I have two different broadband plans of 2mbps on both workgroup.

Now I want to join two networks which I can do with a switch (I think). the main issue is that if I joined the two workgroup in a single network how I can run internet on different workgroup separately. in other words I want different internet broadband lines to two workgroup and also want them in a single network.

I run a shop have 9 computers as a cyber and 3 computers for working on a government website. and I don't want that cyber system use bandwidth of those three computers and also want these 3 computers to be on network so that I can monitor them from 1 place.

Thanks....

A:Two diffrent Interet service on two workgroup in a network

The key to your issue is where the 9 systems vs the 3 get DHCP replies.
If the 3 systems go to one router, they will get a gateway address of that router AND each system will also get a DEFAULT route pointing to that gateway address.

Here's my IPCONFIG, showing the gateway

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : socal.rr.com
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

and the routing table that gets created with that connection; notice the line beginning with 0.0.0.0 - - that's the default.

Code:
IPv4 Route Table
===================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.5 20
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
127.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 On-link 192.168.0.5 276
192.168.0.5 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.5 276
192.168.0.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.5 276
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 192.168.0.5 276
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.5 276
You must make sure that the two routers have different addresses!!!

Then the 9 systems will have their own gateway and route tables.

Assuming the three systems have a router address of 192.168.3.1 and the 9 systems use 192.168.9.1 [the third digit is the number of systems just to make this discussion clear]

then your problem becomes to connect the two networks inside the routing tables of all systems.

MANUALLY, you add a route using
on the 9.system side
route ADD 192.168.3.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.9.x METRIC 1​on the 3.system side
route ADD 192.168.9.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.3.y METRIC 1​​That makes TCP see both sides but only resources specifically requested cross from one side to the other - - USING IP ADDRESSES. If you need print/file shares using names, you will need
to add them to the drivers\etc\hosts file everywhere and the shared systems need fixed addresses :sigh:

I am reluctant to lead you down this path UNLESS you are very experienced as this is considerable customization and will need to be well documented.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-diffrent-interet-service-on-two-workgroup-in-a-network.193922/
Relevancy 49.45%

We have 4 desktop systems namely A, B, C & D under work group by name "MSHOME". While we could access three systems namely A,B & C thro network places, last system D could not be accessed from all the three namely A, B & C. Similarly from system "D" we could not access other systems A,B & C. While viewing work group computers option, it is showing all 4 systems. Can you help me out

A:workgroup computers not showing in network places.

Assuming that you have enabled file and printer sharing on "D" the problem is likely a firewall on "D" blocking the desired access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-computers-not-showing-in-network-places.1163873/
Relevancy 49.45%

I recently tried setting up a home network Between my desktop laptop and roommates desktop Both my pcs connected great and no problems but then a few days later when I tried adding his it went funny and I changed my mind because I didn t know just how much access he d have to my files and to which but I m assuming he could get anything my laptop could That was too much so I went into his computer my network places deleted the folders pertaining to my computers and re-ran the network wizard and left the defaults rather than my workgroup name and turned off sharing After that his computer went stupid and it seemed the only way to get it to work right was to get him back on my network Long story No that I ve been playing with my network a lil more I ve found quot Microsoft Windows Network quot amp quot Entire Network quot and in there I ve found that even though I put both my do you delete/remove network workgroup??? How home laptop and Desktop on a different workgroup the old workgroup is still there and showing a connection to his computer I have limited access to his computer so I don t know what he has access to and I m a little worried I have plenty private info he or How do you delete/remove home network workgroup??? anyone else doesn t need to read or see which I m sure most computer users can relate to I ve looked and looked but there doesn t seem to be any option to How do you delete/remove home network workgroup??? remove the unwanted workgroups Anyone know how I can go about securing my info and easing my piece of mind Many thanks nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

I have a simple network home workgroup that is used by my wife and son They store data on my system because it s a big n and then pull as needed The current configuration is that those folders used by them are shared with quot everyone quot Yet this concerns me and any possible outside influence i e internet simple network home A workgroup Solved: gaining access to the data I d like to secure the shared folders with a profile password combination but I don t need to provide them general access to my system they prefer their system anyway and they have my passwords for the system too So the real question s Do I need to be concerned about the quot outside influence quot If so how may I set up the following a Create profiles that may be used to access shared folders read write update delete Solved: A simple workgroup home network b Prevent exclude those same profiles Solved: A simple workgroup home network from signing on to my system c Prevent exclude those same profiles from appearing on the quot Welcome Screen quot Thank you for your help nbsp

A:Solved: A simple workgroup home network

If you are behind a NAT router, you don't have to worry about the outside influences sniffing around your local network. I would be more concerned with a nosy neighbor or passerby going through my shares through a wireless connection. I sleep well at night, and you can too if you enable WPA encryption on your wireless signal if you use one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-a-simple-workgroup-home-network.529914/
Relevancy 49.45%

Have an odd problem and am hopng someone can help. I have two pc's- one a W7 the other is a xp. I have two streamers: Boxee Box and Pop Corn Hour. Through various trial/error I have determined I can't access the workgroup from both the w7 and xp on either streamer. In other words, both streamers should be able to access workgroup on my network and neither can. I have tried resetting the router, both pc's, streamers etc. All files/folders set to share. I am not an expert but it seems since both streamers can't access my workgroup, the problem might be with windows. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you

A:Trying to stream media over my network..... Can't access Workgroup

Quote: Originally Posted by 64met

Have an odd problem and am hopng someone can help. I have two pc's- one a W7 the other is a xp. I have two streamers: Boxee Box and Pop Corn Hour. Through various trial/error I have determined I can't access the workgroup from both the w7 and xp on either streamer. In other words, both streamers should be able to access workgroup on my network and neither can. I have tried resetting the router, both pc's, streamers etc. All files/folders set to share. I am not an expert but it seems since both streamers can't access my workgroup, the problem might be with windows. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you

Hi

Can your Win7 and XP PC's access shared folders on each others PC? Have you tried the streamers with the firewalls switched off?

Regards
UKMedia

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/184755-trying-stream-media-over-my-network-cant-access-workgroup.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have a network with aprox 150 workstations (90% windows XP profesional, 10% Windows7 32 or 64 bit), and I receive from time to time this message ONLY on windows XP workstations:
" Workgroup is not accessible.You might not have permission to use this network resource"
All the time I could access the various workgroup computers by entering their IP like \\192.168.1.5 or \\mikepc
All the time i can ping any of the workstation without any problem.
All the time using Search computers on the network I find computer name.
What i curiously find is, that if i reboot one of a switch(unmanaged) from my network the problem seem disapear for some time (from 1 hour to several days).
First i suspect the unmanaged switch but the problem seem to manifest only on Windows XP computers.
What can be the cause ?

A:Workgroup is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resourc

With Windows XP Pro the limit for "simultaneous connections" for file and printer sharing is ten (10). With 150 workstations there are lots of opportunities to reach that limit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-is-not-accesible-you-might-not-have-permission-to-use-this-network-resourc.1069254/
Relevancy 49.45%

I've been having a little bit of difficulty reestablishing a wireless network that used to work. Right now, I've been trying to fix one problem at a time, and I've been focusing on the server. My question is, I was wondering what it means when the server is able to ping it's own address as well as it's own computer name, but the computer name does not appear under My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>"workgroup name"

Appreciate any help you can offer!

Relevancy 49.45%

I have 2 home computers. The desk top has a net gear wireless card configured through the netgear software. The laptop has an internal wireless card. Both machines have access to the internet using a wireless router. My laptop also uses a wireless printer. The router seems to be working fine.
Each machine has a different IP address.
I am trying to set up a workgroup so I can share files.
The desktop can see the workgroup and itself but the laptop can not access the workgroup. When i click on the workgroup icon i get an error message. "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resouyrce. Contact the administrator of the server to find out....." Well, I am the administrator of this laptop.
i searched for several hours but found nothing out there that fixed the problem.
any ideas?

A:Can't get access to workgroup on home wireless network

It would be helpful to know what version of Windows runs on each of the machines.
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login. NOTE: Vista's default is to require a password on the account to enable file/print sharing.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing. You can open a command prompt as described above and type the following command: nbtstat -n. This will display the status of NetBIOS or indicate it's not configured.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-get-access-to-workgroup-on-home-wireless-network.932725/
Relevancy 49.45%

I have two PC's connected via a wireless network. That is already established, they both have internet connection. I would like to enable file sharing between these PC's. I have created a workgroup but am having trouble accessing both PC's. On PC 1, when I click "View Workgroup Computers" under network tasks both PC 1 and PC 2 are available, yet when I double click PC 2 I get an error message saying PC 2 is not accessible, I may not have permission, contact the administrator. On PC 2 when I click "View Workgroup Computers" I get an error message right away saying Home (the name of the workgroup) is not accessible, I may not have permissions.

In short, PC one allows me to access the workgroup but not PC 2. PC 2 wont let me access the workgroup. What am I doing wrong? (I am, as you can probably tell, new to home networking).

A:File Sharing Through Workgroup on Home Network

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details on networking Vista can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/vista_network_sharing_center.htm
and
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/vista_network.htm

10. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

11. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-sharing-through-workgroup-on-home-network.586572/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi All
I have 5 PCs connected to a switch in a workgroup mode, all PCs can ping each other & can access each other by \\computer name\share drive, but, only 2of the PCs can see all the PCs under my network, the rest can see only 3 out of 5 PCs.

Is there any restriction on the number of the viewed PCs under my network?

What is going wrong, restricting me ti view only limited number of PCs?

3 PCs are win7 Ultimate
2 PCs are win7 Pro

One Ultimate PC can see all PCs under my network & one pro PC can see all the PCs. The rest can only see. 3 PCs.

So my issue is not in connectivity, the issue is the view of all pcs under my network.

Thanks in advance.

A:Win7 workgroup network view issue

😔ur assistant plzzzzz

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/248464-win7-workgroup-network-view-issue.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have two windows computers on a simple network Router is a linksys Workgroup not Windows Solved: on 2000 network and I have it giving a generic DHCP that the simple linksys routers give gateway to the router with as the starting IP both computers are given static IPs with and They are both Solved: Windows 2000 Workgroup not on network in the same Workgroup called quot Workgroup quot My problem is that computer will not see computer in the network places and vice versa However I stick another computer in the router and test computer sees computer in network places just fine they can even connect and talk Pinging between computer computer and test computer work though so computer isn t completely off the network There is no software firewall installed at all Computer and Computer both connect to the internet just fine I ran windows update on both as well and it works too But computer and still can t see each other in the workgroup Is this still a windows problem Could the router be faulty Does computer have a faulty networking card Any insights Thanks for your help Russ nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

Hello all Weird stuff here I seem to be going backwards trying to sort out Wireless not but network has internet workgroup!? please heeelp my wireless network I have a solwise adsl router which connects to two desktops and to an asus WL g wifi access point There are two laptops in the house connecting to that as well as a printer All computers have web access no problem The two desktops can access each other copy delete etc over the network is fine All computers have windows xp firewall but switching it off makes no difference at all all firewalls are set to allow all other computers access On my laptop I can access the web using it right now but when i click on quot workgroup quot it says i dont have permission for that and should contact the Wireless network has internet but not workgroup!? heeelp please administrator ie me I have set the solwise router in the Advanced NAT configuration to open all transport types for my wifi s internal IP address and I have set that to port didnt know what else to set I have successfully PING ed the Asus Solwise and both desktops and my son s laptop so it is getting there but for some reason the WORKGROUP domain is giving me problems I would VERY much appreciate any help with this since I cannot afford to get an IT guy to come and visit Thank you Mark UK nbsp

A:Wireless network has internet but not workgroup!? heeelp please

"... the WORKGROUP domain is giving me problems."

I get confused easily. Is this laptop XP Pro and in a domain named "WORKGROUP"? Or is it in a workgroup named "WORKGROUP"? Or something else?

Can you ping this laptop by IP address from another computer? By Computer Name?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-has-internet-but-not-workgroup-heeelp-please.572637/
Relevancy 49.45%

getting the error message: Workgroup is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource.
server ip 192.168.1.1
client ip 192.168.1.2

all firewalls are disabled,tried everything....also i can play FIFA 2008 on lan ,but getting the message....not able to connect frm server to client & vice versa..file and printer sharing was also turned on........plz help

A:Workgroup is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource

Your reply to a 6 1/2 year old thread got my attention, but for help you'll have better luck if you start your own thread and actually describe your equipment, OS(es), network, and specifics about the help for which you are looking.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-is-not-accessible-you-may-not-have-permission-to-use-this-network-resource.712221/
Relevancy 49.45%

I have a computer LAN which has let me do simple file and printer sharing The computers are a Dell Dimension XP Pro Gb RAM a Dell Inspiron Vista Gb RAM and an old DellI Inspiron laptop XP Home Mb RAM The Dell Dimension has a wired connection to a Belkin F D Wireless-G router-modem and the other connect wirelessly to the router The Dell Dimension has USB connections functioning! network Workgroup Solved: and stopped to an Epson EPL- laser printer and an Epson Stylus Photo inkjet For the last year the system has worked faultlessly - with each computer using either printer and the computers sharing folders Now suddenly without any changes in hardware software or configuratins they ve all stopped communicating with each other I can still print wirelessly from the Vista machine but not from the laptop I can view the Dimension and the Inspiron from the Vista machine not the laptop but nothing shows on the other computers when I look for the workgroup computers Instead I just kep getting this message quot Workgroup is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The list of servers for Solved: Workgroup and network stopped functioning! this workgroup is not currently available quot PS - I am the Administrator I have AVG Internet Security on all computers but that doesn t seem to have been a problem in the past I ve reinstalled the network several times but I m now out of ideas Really would be grateful for any help and hints - thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Workgroup and network stopped functioning!

Try the Windows Network Problem Solver.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-workgroup-and-network-stopped-functioning.843183/
Relevancy 49.45%

Please bear with me while I describe my setup before I ask the question I have computers OFFICE Windows XP Home SP Windows Firewall MALTAR Windows XP Pro SP McAfee Security Suite wireless capable WINNINJAMAC Windows Home Premium Windows Firewall wireless capabale All are members of the same workgroup My router screen members not displayed Network on Workgroup has no wireless capability OFFICE and MALTAR are wired to my router I created a unencrypted wireless ad hoc network between MALTAR and WINNINJAMAC I then used a bridge on MALTAR to link Workgroup members not displayed on Network screen quot Local Connection quot and quot Wireless Connection quot so Maltar s internet connction can be shared with WINNINJAMAC File sharing has been enabled on all computers and unblocked in all firewalls All works great all computers display the other in Network Places or Network on WINNINJAMAC since it s running Windows and internet works on WINNINJAMAC But the wireless network is unencrypted -- bad idea So I enable Workgroup members not displayed on Network screen WEP set the key in the settings on MALTAR and WINNINJAMAC and all seems to be okay until I open the Network page on WINNINJAMAC None of the other workgroup computers are displayed anymore The shares on the other computers are still accessible if I type their address eg MALTAR Shared Internet is still available on WINNINJAMAC OFFICE and MALTAR both still display all workgroup computers in Network Places and can access their shares without having to type the address So my question is quot When WEP is enabled on the wireless network how can I get WINNINJAMAC to display the other workgroup members on the Network page so that I can browse to their shares instead of having to type in the addresses quot nbsp

A:Workgroup members not displayed on Network screen

Ask a mod (Report) to move this to the networking forum where you'l probably get better responses.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-members-not-displayed-on-network-screen.956639/
Relevancy 49.02%

Is it possible to Network share an encrypted file on a workgroup non-domain based network running Windows XP Pro SP via (non-domain) encrypted files. workgroup a Network sharing of If Network sharing via a workgroup (non-domain) of encrypted files. so any suggestions would be appreciated Here is what I have done so far Computer ------------ Windows XP Pro SP User name user There are two files C Shared Files Non Encrypted Files NEF txt C Shared Files Encrypted Files EF txt The C Shared Files directory is network shared as SharedFiles The directory C Shared Files Encrypted Files has been encrypted as well as all subdirectories and files within I added the Encrypting File System certificate for user on Computer to the file C Shared Files Encrypted Files EF txt Computer ------------- Windows XP Pro SP User name user Mapped the S drive to Computer SharedFiles I am able to open S Non Encrypted Files NEF txt via notepad without an issue When trying to open S Encrypted Files EF txt via notepad I get a popup titled quot Notepad quot with quot Access is denied quot in it

A:Network sharing via a workgroup (non-domain) of encrypted files.

Doing my best Ben Stein impersonation: "Anyone? Anyone?"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-sharing-via-a-workgroup-non-domain-of-encrypted-files-110773.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I'm John and I'm unable to share a folder on my PC with a specific person on a different PC on our home network I can share the folder with Everyone but Windows fails to find the specific user on our home network We have Win PCs on our home network MaryPC user account is Mary JohnPC user account is John and TheaterPC user account is JM and all are visible on File Explorer on all PCs The Workgroup name is Golden We do not use any log-in credentials to access any of Network Problem (Workgroup) on Home Sharing Folder these PCs i e no usernames nor passwords are required nor do they exist I'm able to share my Music Pictures and Video folders with Everyone with R W permissions in the Golden Workgroup However I am unable to share my Medical folder for example with Mary only When I try to share this folder with a specific person by trying to add Mary Windows responds that it is unable to find user Mary In trying to add Mary to the list of specific persons I've tried numerous combinations of Mary and or Golden MaryPC Users Mary to no avail This same problem exists on MaryPC and on the TheaterPC when trying to share a folder from those PCs to a specific person on another networked PC Sharing a folder with Everyone works fine across the Workgroup but sharing Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network a folder with a specific person user on the network is hitting a brick wall Any solution ideas

A:Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network

It should be \\marypc\mary

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/58544-folder-sharing-problem-home-workgroup-network.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi

From my laptop I need access to 2 different "networks":

(A) I access a Workgroup within Microsoft Windows Network (I have the correct Workgroup name) to get access to printers and other computers at work.

(B) I sometimes run VPN to "log" in the domain at my university (necessary for Email clients).

(A) works when I start my laptop. But if I open the VPN connection and then close it, (A) does not work anymore most of the time.

I run Windows XP Professional without the "simple file sharing" option.

Anyone can help? Many thanks!

A:MS windows network Workgroup does not work after a VPN session on another domain

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-windows-network-workgroup-does-not-work-after-a-vpn-session-on-another-domain.692162/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello,
I work at a company with 5 pcs with window 7 on them connected to a workgroup. all of their advanced sharing settings including network discovery are properly set, yet many of these pcs sometimes become invisible from my network. Sometimes they are all visible, somtimes only few, and sometimes all of them are gone. however all of the shared folders of these pcs that i have linked to my computer as a network drive are accessible at all times, regardless of the visibility of the pcs they belong to. is there a solution to this erratic behavior regarding the visibility of networked computers?

thanks

A:PCs in workgroup invisible in Network, yet shared folders accessible

Welcome to the Forums.

It saves a lot of time if applicable info is posted as suggested here:

Basic Requirements Before Posting your Networking Thread

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/342532-pcs-workgroup-invisible-network-yet-shared-folders-accessible.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have 2 computers, one running Windows 7 and one running Windows XP (named "A31"). They are hooked up to the same router. I can ping each from the other using the command line. The workgroups are both set to MSHOME.

In Windows Explorer on the XP computer, I click on My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network and there's nothing there. Even if it isn't connecting to other computers on the network, its own computer name (A31) should be listed there, right?

I can't connect to either computer from the other to share files and I've been googling around for a while and I can't find anything to help me.

A:XP computer not visible under "Microsoft Windows Network" and workgroup

Figured it out...

Network connections - right-click on the connection
Properties>General
Make sure Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer sharing for Microsoft networks are checked

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616745/xp-computer-not-visible-under-microsoft-windows-network-and-workgroup/
Relevancy 49.02%

I was able to print, and then.....

If I try to view workgroup from My Network Places, it beeps.
If I view Sharing and security, and try to share c:
I get an error message an error occurred while trying to share c:. The server service is not started. The shared resource was not created.

I can see all the computers on the network with Norton, but cannot setup Network printers.....

A:Unable to view workgroup or setup network printing

sharing root folder (C:\) is bad idea, for security risk, just share specific folders

start the server service to see if that fixes your problem
start > run > type services.msc
go down list to server open (double click) then click start service, make sure it should be set to startup type: automatic

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-view-workgroup-or-setup-network-printing.848121/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi all I ve got a mind bender to start the holiday season MAIN PROBLEM I have a wireless network printer Brother MFC- W for which but workgroup, can't hostname printer in Network ping visible the XP SP machine on my network can t resolve the Network printer hostname visible in workgroup, but can't ping IP address despite being able to see it under My Network Places gt Entire Network gt Microsoft Windows Network gt Workgroup Which is to say I can see the printer s hostname in the Workgroup window in Network printer hostname visible in workgroup, but can't ping XP but when I ping the hostname from the command line I get Ping request could not find host BRW E EE B Please check the name and try again BRW E EE B is the hostname of Network printer hostname visible in workgroup, but can't ping the printer from the Workgroup window If I just ping the printer s IP address I get a response I can ping the hostname or explore the shared folders of all other hosts in the workgroup including another laptop running Vista SP and a network attached backup drive Likewise the laptop can open the shared folders of the XP SP and backup drive just fine but unline the XP machine it CAN ping the printer by hostname Is there any way to get my XP machine to resolve the wireless printer s IP address This is causing trouble with the printer s controller software and driver and I would like to avoid using static IP addresses MORE DETAILS My home network looks like this Cable Modem gt Belkin F D - N Router gt Netgear WGT v Router I m using the Netgear as a wireless b g access point on which I ve disabled the firewall and DHCP and have set up so that it s just an extension of the Belkin s subnet XXX I also set the Netgear as a DMZ The Belkin runs on wireless n exclusively - The network drive is an WD MyBookLive wired directly into the Belkin - The laptop is a ThinkPad T p running Vista connected wirelessly to the Belkin - My XP SP machine is connected wirelessly to the Netgear router - The wireless network printer is also connecting to the Netgear router since it can only work with wireless b g Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello I have network confused name, Small folders, I shared am Workgroup with a small network composed by a Tv Cable a Modem high speed cisco a Router belkin f d computers and cellphones Then internet connection is working ok on all of them but I am having problems understanding how to safety connect the devices between them trough lan and with different internet connection setup scenarios The Scenarios are this All devices are connected to the internet trough the router as in the picture below The internet connection is working on all of them Computer A- a new and fresh install of windows xp B- a new and fresh install of windows C- Java phone with the sdcard and phone memory shared D- Workgroup name, Small network with shared folders, I am confused Android phone nothing shared on it yet maybe sometimes in the far future A router a modem cables -I wish to share some folders on the computer A that I can see them from computer B -I wish to share some folders on computer B that I can see them from computer A -The mobile phone C is having wireless and is always sharing all it contents when is connected with no settings done on the phone or in windows I am able to see it in the network and copy-transfer-delete files on it from the computer B windows but sometimes I have problems from computer A windowsXp -I wish to use RDP on computer A Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection and to be accesibile only in Lan -I wish to use RDP on computer B and to be accessible In LAn and Over the Internet -I wish to be able to use TeamViever on all computers available over the Internet Now I am curious why is so damn hard to quot see quot the phone C from the computer A Is XP Lan somehow messed up It always laggs and hangs and damn freeze when I go to the netwok places in contrast to windows which is running fast as a rabbit with no lag hangs freeze If I will share stuff on computer B win when I will access them from the computer A winxp I will always have this freeze hangs and lags In this scenario I assume that the shared folders will not be accessible from the internet and will be visible only in the lan network right I don't wish to make the folders public like a ftp server just to be visible in the network which is after the router Sometimes when the internet connection is down the Internet Service Provider is asking me to connect the cable which is from the modem directly to the computer A or B bypassing the router for making a diagnosis getting mac and so on which is perfectly normal Now in this moment when the computer is connected directly to the internet network scenarios is like this TvCable- gt Modem- gt Computer the RDP will be visible from the internet which is okay for few minutes but what about the shared folders a If the computer A and the computer B is having shared stuff as folders and partitions on them in that moment when I connect directly to internet they will be available over the internet b They will be available only to the computers that are using the same ISP or the same Ip Range-Class etc c They will be availeble only to the people which is having the same quot lan workgropup name quot which is called quot WORKGROUP quot or quot MSHOME quot or a quot CUSTOMONE quot d Or They will not be available at all e When I take the computer B out which is having shared folders on a public wifi hotspot will the shared folders be available f When I connect the computer B on this small network but trought wifi will be the shared folders available g What workgroup name should I choose quot WORKGROUP quot quot MSHOME quot quot CUSTOMZIEDANDACOOLONE quot h Should I use Network Wizzard on Xp or quot just share folders quot Is there any difference i What is the propose of quot Local Domain Name quot in the router settings j Why I am able to use team-viewer and connect over the internet with no need to open and forward ports in the router but for the RDP ftp etc need the ports to be open and forwarded k I don't know how a VPN is working or wh... Read more

A:Workgroup name, Small network with shared folders, I am confused

Quote: Originally Posted by doctortonic

Hello!

1) Now, I am curious, why is so damn hard to "see" the phone C from the computer A? Is XP Lan

somehow messed up? It always laggs and hangs and damn freeze when I go to the netwok places in

contrast to windows 7 which is running fast as a rabbit with no lag, hangs, freeze.
If I will share stuff on computer B (win7) when I will access them from the computer A(winxp) I

will always have this freeze, hangs and lags?

2) In this scenario I assume that the shared folders will not be accessible from the internet

and will be visible only in the lan network, right? I don't wish to make the folders public like

a ftp server, just to be visible in the network which is after the router.

3) Sometimes when the internet connection is down, the Internet Service Provider is asking me to

connect the cable which is from the modem directly to the computer A or B, bypassing the router

for making a diagnosis, getting mac and so on which is perfectly normal.

Now, in this moment when the computer is connected directly to the internet, (network scenarios

is like this: TvCable->Modem->Computer) the RDP will be visible from the internet, which is okay

for few minutes but what about the shared folders?

a) If the computer A and the computer B is having shared stuff as folders and partitions on
them, in that moment, when I connect directly to internet they will be available over the
internet?

b) They will be available only to the computers that are using the same ISP or the same Ip
Range-Class etc?

c) They will be availeble only to the people which is having the same "lan workgropup name"
which is called "WORKGROUP" or "MSHOME" or a "CUSTOMONE"?

d) Or They will not be available at all?

e) When I take the computer B out which is having shared folders on a public wifi hotspot, will
the shared folders be available?

f) When I connect the computer B on this small network but trought wifi will be the shared
folders available?

g) What workgroup name should I choose, "WORKGROUP" "MSHOME" "CUSTOMZIEDANDACOOLONE"?

h) Should I use Network Wizzard on Xp or "just share folders" Is there any difference?

i) What is the propose of "Local Domain Name" in the router settings?

j) Why I am able to use team-viewer and connect over the internet with no need to open and forward ports in the router but for the RDP, ftp, etc need the ports to be open and forwarded?

k) I don't know how a VPN is working or what exactly is but it will be better and more secure for rdp, shared folders etc.? Should I try to study and learn about it?

1) - The freezes are hard to determine and may be caused by incompatible software/firmware. XP is 12 years old and most likely losing support from hardware manufacturers especially since it is losing support as of next year.

2) - You are correct. Your router has something called NAT which essentially hides your network from the internet. Internet connections can only enter your home network is a device requests it. For example if you request a webpage then it is able to enter.

3) - Shared folders should be protected from the internet if your configuration is setup correctly. When connecting straight to the modem ensure that your connection is set as Public. This tutorial should provide more information on how to do that.

Network Location - Set as Home, Work, or Public Network

a) - As long as it is set as public there will be no connection to your shares from the internet.

b) - IP address does not come into it. If one was to connect to your share then yes they would need your IP address however since your connection would be set as public they would be denied access.

c) - Workgroups are only valid between local subnets. They will not be relevant on d... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/308442-workgroup-name-small-network-shared-folders-i-am-confused.html
Relevancy 48.16%

What I am about to not computers workgroup off... Wireless or connecting dropping Network: occasionally describe does not happen all the time and rarely happened until I added a rd machine to the network Three computers on network - call them A B and C A is connected to router by cable B and C by wireless cards both DLink just like the router Router is DI dynamic IP and DHCP I share files directories betweeen all three machines I have experience in doing this Sometimes when I turn all three machines on one or more Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off... of the three machines is unaccessible to the others vis a vis shared files directories Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off... For example from A looking at C from My Network Places C s resources are quot Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off... unknown quot Sometime C can t see B s resources Once they hook up though the almost always stay hooked up Nevertheless getting into the Internet is never a problem - only the file sharing This is ALWAYS fixable by one of the four following ways a reboot the offending computer b disable and encable the offending computer s network connection c the most fun - If A and C can t see B s resources go to B go to My Network Places and let B find the resources of the other two and d start MSWord on one machine and try to open a Word file on the offending machine s shared folder Eventually I always get in and share the resources I have disabled the Windows firewall because I have ZoneAlarm installed on all three machines On all three the network loopback adapter are in trusted zone I have also defined an IP range to which is also trusted The syndrome above seemed to have been worse with dropping even after an initial successful connection before I went into the Windows Firewall advanced tab and unchecked all of the Network Connection Settings boxes although this might be my imagination since Windows Firewall was disabled in the first place I have tried to delete the shared resources and define a new workgroup add network places etc Does not completely solve the problem I have done some checking on this message board before posting Sorry for the length of this but I am quite perplexed especially since the machines CAN share resources ultimately nbsp

A:Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off...

If you always have all three PCs on your network, the problem may or may not be as follows.

If you sometimes just have one PC on, sometimes 2, sometimes a different pair, and sometimes all three, your "problem" is a "feature" of the Computer Browser service.

My simplified explanation: My Network Places is designed to be a convenience for stable workgroups. When you visit it, it shows what it remembers from the last time. With a stable workgroup, this is fast and great. But beware if you add or subtract PCs or even add or remove shared folders or their contents. What is shown in My Network Places is dependent on the Computer Browser service, which polls the network and gets an updated list of resources across the network. It is sorta like a cat--it does exactly what you tell it to do. Eventually. When it feels like it. This is why you often "see" computers that are not on and folders that were deleted and fail to see recently joined computers or folders.

For a technical explanation see http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/ntwsguide/ntwsnfinding.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-workgroup-computers-occasionally-not-connecting-or-dropping-off.452810/
Relevancy 48.16%

Greetings all I have a problem that I think I know the answer to but I would like to have an external perspective Workgroup Win 7 WinXP & Dilema Pro Home Premium: School Network and some experience to weigh in on the situation I am working as the all-purpose tech at a small school for kids with learning disabilities no operating budget for IT and we are in the process of upgrading parts of the network Disclaimer I did not setup this network but I am heavily considering getting rid of everything and rebuilding it from scratch Setup Right now we have an XP Pro Workgroup network with Workgroups Admin Classroom CompLab Workgroup We have about computers of them are Dell Optiplex GX s running XP Pro SP close to identical Hardware configs the remainders are teacher's laptops and such We have new machines ADMIN workgroup for the school administrators and the administrative assistant They are ASUS Essentio Desktops Model CM s Running Win Home Premium You might start to guess where I'm going with the issues I'm having We are running a xerox WorkCentre w accounting and have a few other printers scattered throughout the network Edit The only machines not running XP Pro SP SP are the ADMIN machines my laptop Dell Inspiron one laptop running Vista Macs and other laptops running Windows Edit Problem The crux of the problem is with the new machines working with the pre-existing XP Network One of the new machines replaced our Administrative Assistant's old XP machine which hosted some files that the teachers needed to access report cards test results etc When we put in the new machine the teachers were no longer able to access these files across the network Most of the teachers are accessing the new machine ADMIN on the ADMIN Workgroup from the other workgroups CLASSROOM COMPLAB and WORKGROUP are having issues When attempting to access the new machine ADMIN the pop-up error comes up quot ADMIN SharedDocs is not available You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions lt br gt lt br gt The network path was not found quot I believe this to be a permissions and policy issue due to the limitations WinXP Pro Workgroup Network & Win 7 Home Premium: School Dilema of Win Home Premium We aren't able to fully integrate into the network from the Win side tell me if I am off on this Alternatively we are getting the error when trying to access the CLASSROOM workgroup from a machine on the CLASSROOM workgroup of quot CLASSROOM is not accessible yada yada yada lt br gt lt br gt Not enough storage is available to process this command quot This error pops up on a number of machines on the various workgroups trying to access their own and other workgroups and or machines This is most likely due to the connection limit of XP Workgroups which I really want to WinXP Pro Workgroup Network & Win 7 Home Premium: School Dilema solve by installing a server w SBS we have the machine not the OS WinXP Pro Workgroup Network & Win 7 Home Premium: School Dilema and not installed yet Granted there are quite a few problems with the network and the way it is setup I still have to make things work We don't have a domain controller and I haven't been able to figure out how they set up the network in the first place although I have managed to restructure some of the network I have also begun to create a drawn out network map of infrastructure and after that I'm going to work on the arduous task of mapping out user permissions which if you don't already know is one of the most time consuming things to do manually My take SINCE we are hosting these files on a Win Home Premium machine we do not have the ability to manage workgroup policies and user permissions as we did on the old machine One way to fix this is to have the Administrative Assistant's machine upgraded to Win Professional which plays a bit better with XP and Workgroups So does anyone have some input on this I ... Read more

A:WinXP Pro Workgroup Network & Win 7 Home Premium: School Dilema

Just a question... I understand you are using 4 different Workgroups... Do you plan to put this on a Domain with Policies?

So for instance when anyone logs into any one of the computers their permissions will be granted by user name and password?

or do you just have normal Windows Shares?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/152844-winxp-pro-workgroup-network-win-7-home-premium-school-dilema.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have windows XP service pack and my problem is the following At work we a have a local work group as our network I can use windows explorer to browse through the work group and the shared folders on its member computers just like I would browse through the file folder structure of my own PC The first time I try to access a PC it will ask me for a username and password in order to workgroup do I information Local on [SOLVED] change How network? loggin connect to [SOLVED] How do I change loggin information on Local workgroup network? that PC If the information is valid then I get access an my PC will never ask me again even after i reboot or even if both PCs reboot and years pass i never get asked for my credentials again Now I have arrived at the point where I need to change the username and password my PC uses to access another PC but for the life of me I can not find where to log out or change the old credentials entered Does anyone have an idea

A:[SOLVED] How do I change loggin information on Local workgroup network?

You can try these links to see if they can help..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306541

http://www.interworks.com/blogs/jval...a-or-windows-7

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-how-do-i-change-loggin-information-on-local-workgroup-network-629441.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello Every One
I have the admin laptop and it works fine except the wireless. The wireless works fine if i take it out from the domain and join the workgroup.

I have used the domain admin account and the machine local admin account and it does not work.
The hardware is OK and seems enabled with no problem except it does not see any wifi network.
The Laptop run Win 7 Pro.
Best Regards

Raid 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4fcb4b7b-a5a3-43ef-b91c-f0e740ba9a76/wifi-cannot-detect-any-network-when-i-join-the-laptop-in-domain-it-works-fine-when-back-to?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 46.87%

For some reason the network from point between routers Network fail. A to B keeps failing Going to Network between routers fail. explain the set up I have right now DSL and modem are in room then that plugs into the wall to the switch in room Many things are connected to the switch roku player dish network receiver and other Ethernet connections for other rooms and a router so we can get wifi Now for some reason the connection from the switch to the modem keeps going out The internet works just fine because i can plug the ethernet cable from the Network between routers fail. modem directly to a computer in the office However from a computer in another room I cannot cmd ping the modem says What would cause this to fail it works for hours then i have to unplug re-plug the cables to get it working again I have tried it without a switch using two routers room modem Network between routers fail. to router router room another router and still the connection from the routers will stop after working for days without problems

A:Network between routers fail.

From what you are saying you have the switch plugged directly into the modem which is not how it should be.

You need to plug the Modem into the WAN port on the router first then plug the switch into one of the router's LAN ports. This is the reason your network is not reliable.

Switches are always plugged into LAN ports on the router not the modem.

If you are going to use two routers you need to turn off DHCP on one of the routers plus some other adjustments will be required, link below explains the process.

Connecting Additional Routers | Tech Support Forum

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/256305-network-between-routers-fail.html
Relevancy 46.87%

My PC will not connect to the Network router and therefor Internet on average every 2 - 3 times I switch on!
Usually the only way to get it to work is to re-boot - sometimes more than once.
I often go through the trouble shooter - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
It seems pretty random.
Usually it doesn't find the cause and the re-boot is the answer.
(It did find that the LAN IP address was missing/wrong once)
Is there a setting or a box that needs ticking, somewhere in the maze that is the PC settup, that anyone knows of.??
Often it will be fine all day - then after turning off - next time it's up the creek again!!
So frustrating - especially when I turn on quickly to look something up - usually in a hurry.

A:Internet and Network fail

Do you have iTunes installed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/121181-internet-network-fail.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi guys

im having a problem of networking between workstation and server.
my workstation can review any file in the server, but it can connect to internet. (all workstation is connect to server to surf internet, but all workstation can connect to server and view file in server. The workstation in under workgroup categary.)

i try to resolved the problem with restart the pc, check the system with antivirus, delete the map drive, the problem still cant be solved.

is there got any solution to solve this problem??

Relevancy 46.87%

windows7 recognizes my wireless home network but is unable to connect.

Problem began two days ago. Tried system restore but no luck.

ISP : ATT DSL
Netgear 7550 wireless router
d-Link network adapter

Thanks in advance

A:Network connection fail

Tried power cycling the router? Can other devices (phones, another wireless) connect?

Can it connect in Safe Mode with Networking?
How about another user account? User Account - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/374451-network-connection-fail.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I was running the PC Diagnostic Tool and I got the error in 'Network' and flagged as FAIL.

I do not know how to fix or diagnose the issue.

Is this with the Network driver?

Thanks

A:PC Diagnostic Tool says - Network fail

What?s the problem exactly?
Is there a particular reason to use the PC Diagnostic Tool?
Do you have any problems with LAN or WLAn?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?79398-PC-Diagnostic-Tool-says-Network-fail
Relevancy 46.44%

When I switched on my computer, I was presented with a message saying that the Ethernet was not connected, I tried changing the cable, and also trying the second ethernet port on my computer. After this I still was unable to connect to any network, I tried to teather my mobile phone (samsung galaxy s2 w/ cyanogen mod) via USB this installed correctly and claimed to be working as an interface in the network connections window of cpntrol panel but yet there was still netwrok. I checked to see if there had been any updates installed but none had been installed for over a week.
Anyone have any ideas or should I just reinstall windows?
Thanks.

Antivirus : Zonealarm extreme security
ISP : Virgin (internet still available to other computer on the network)
Router : Netgear WNDR3300

A:All network conections fail to connect

First thing i would try even though you say the 2nd computer connects fine; I would try power cycling both the modem and router. Unplug both of them, wait about a minute, then plug the modem back in first and let it boot; then plug the router back in and let it boot. Second, check for any firmware updates for the router as that also may correct the problem. third; on the computer that has the issue; go into the device manager and double check to make sure there are no check marks or exclamation points by any of the ethernet cards/connections. If there are; i would uninstall them, reboot, and let windows try and reinstall them correctly as its possible something happened during the operation of the card like something somehow got corrupted. Try these things and see if they help any.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/325798-all-network-conections-fail-connect.html
Relevancy 46.44%

hello everyone, I have 3 computers, two of them got successfully connected in a network. except for my laptop. i found that if a change the laptops default gateway to the default gateway of the other two computers, the laptop will be connected but it won't have internet because the DHCP is disable. if i make win7 fix it, it will change the default gateway to a different IP, and back square one with no network connection to the other two computers any help help please!!!

A:home network fail to one computer

Quote: Originally Posted by Apo

hello everyone, I have 3 computers, two of them got successfully connected in a network. except for my laptop. i found that if a change the laptops default gateway to the default gateway of the other two computers, the laptop will be connected but it won't have internet because the DHCP is disable. if i make win7 fix it, it will change the default gateway to a different IP, and back square one with no network connection to the other two computers any help help please!!!

Please give us some info abt the network setup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/116909-home-network-fail-one-computer.html
Relevancy 46.44%

My sister has a DELL Latitude D610. The network drivers in Device Manager has an exclamation mark and this only started when she turned off the laptop with her external hard drive.

Here are the things that I tried.

Getting the appropriate drivers
System Restore
Restarting the Network service
Uninstalling and reinstalling the 1350 WLAN Card driver
This is an actual issue that I can't solve. It may well be corrupt. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum!

Relevancy 46.44%

I m sure this is related to a pretty nasty virus spyware attack It seems to be related to the userinit exe kind of attack that s been doing the rounds As I was unable to get into the system in the first place I installed the hard drive into another machine and cleaned and scanned the drive with Kaspersky To Network Start Devices Fail Internet Security MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware Then I reinstalled the drive back into the host machine and ran SmitfraudFix and ComboFix on it and got it to the point where it was at least booting back into Windows I then ran CCleaner found lots of system and registry issues which it cleaned up In the device manager ALL the network devices appear with the yellow exclamation mark Network Devices Fail To Start and will not start ie Device cannot start error Even when I try installing a new network card or delete all the existing cards and to a hardware changes scan The devices get redetected but always come up with a yellow mark With a USB LAN card I manually specified the location of the drivers on a floppy disk so I know they are the correct ones In fact I ve used this before it s a USB Ethernet device that I use on a regular basis so it s got nothing to do with the drivers The specific error message is Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware The driver may be corrupt or missing Code I then installed MalwareBytes SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot and manually installed the definition updates via a USB stick and ran them on the system They DID find more nasties and cleaned them out I then installed Hijack this but after careful examination it didn t reveal anything suspicious still in there I then installed LSPFix but it didn t detect any problems with the network setup I then downloaded the SharedAccess reg fix suggested on and http support microsoft com kb and the KB hotfix suggested http www microsoft com downloads details aspx familyid e - d - fc- - ec f amp displaylang en After a bit more research I ve narrowed it down to the Windows Firewall Internet Connection Sharing ICS service not working correctly which once fixed might fix the network card problem A post suggested that it might have something to do Firewall so I went to the Control Panel and clicked on Firewall and Windows displayed a message saying that the Windows Firewall settings could not be displayed because the associated Windows Firewall Internet Connection Service ICS was not running and if I would like to run start it When I say yes to Would you like to start the service I get a error message saying that the service could not start with no error code or anything If I go through Control Panel Adminstrative Tools Services and scroll down to the Firewall service it s already on Automatic but not started When I hit start it comes up with Error The specified file could not be found and fails to start I ve tried various suggested methods of repairing the firewall components using Rundll setupapi InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead windir inf netrass inf and repairing WMI such as net stop winmgmt ren c System Wbem Repository c System Wbem Repository bad net start winmgmt rundll wbemupgd UpgradeRepository Also additional searching suggested that ipnathlp dll and ipnat sys might be missing or corrupted and using the following would replace the missing files but still no luck Had to do this a second time in safe mode as ipnathlp dll was already in use while running in normal mode and couldn t be overwritten expand e i ipnathlp dl systemroot system ipnathlp dll expand e i ipnat sy systemroot system drivers ipnat sys The last thing I ve tried is to install Windows Service Pack but it hasn t fixed anything either Summary Network cards all have yellow exclamation marks Windows Firewall Internet Connection Sharing ICS service won t run because of Error File Not found This is not the first time I ve seen this problem The first time I spent ages on it and the only solution I had was to format and start from scratch There must be a ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-devices-fail-to-start.803753/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello I have windows bit and I was having minor problems with my network adapter but it still worked until I tried to update the drivers now neither of my Adapters Network Fail to Install on board network ports will work I downloaded the drivers from Gigabyte and they will not install correctly The network ports are Realtek I went to realtek s site and downloaded their drivers and they still won t work I have uninstalled reinstalled restarted a bunch of times In device manager it says quot This device is not configured correctly Code The parameter is incorrect quot The other message I get from device manager sometimes is quot This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device Code quot I have searched for Code for a while and can t find anything specific to my problem The realtek adapters is Realtek RTL Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC NDIS I ve downloaded every driver I can I don t think it s a hardware problem because it Network Adapters Fail to Install worked fine until I tried updating Network Adapters Fail to Install my drivers So I grabbed a Belkin USB network adapter and router from my friend so I could at least have some form of internet and I plug it in and go to install it and the installation for that fails too I don t understand what is causing these failed installations I have tried reinstalling drivers getting new drivers updating my motherboards chipset drivers installing the original chipset drivers I can t reinstall windows or do a system restore either which is very unfortunate Any help would be very very much appreciated I tired to give as much information as I could Thanks in advance David nbsp

A:Network Adapters Fail to Install

Hi:Generally it is a lot safer to download any drivers from the pc makers web site. for your model and operating system.
I would go there and download/install in this order:
chipset adapter driver
network adapter drivers.
And any other device drivers that appear to be in error status in device manager.
Can you not in device manager,roll back the driver being used to an older driver ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-adapters-fail-to-install.928198/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi everybody I m new here but am a semi-experienced windows mac user I have searched the internet long and hard for a solution to my problem but I still either haven t been helped or people just don t know how to help me Once again this is a driver problem I think None of my network drivers are working and I can t connect to the internet Under quot Network Adapters quot in device manager there is a yellow exclamation on Network Fail Drivers HP Laptop mark next to each driver To give Network Drivers on HP Laptop Fail you an idea here is the list Intel R Wireless WiFi Link AGN working surprisingly Realtek RTL Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface WAN Miniport IP IPv L TP PPPOE PPTP SSTP Note that the WAN Miniports listed are each seperate I just couldn t be bothered typing them all out on seperate lines I have no idea where to get these drivers from or how to transfer them over to Network Drivers on HP Laptop Fail my laptop I have tryed installing vista SP or not sure but it doesn t install fully it will come up with an error like quot Sorry windows could not install this etc quot Network Drivers on HP Laptop Fail even after it has sat there for half an hour doing apparently nothing at all I have checked in the drivers folder and they are all there where they should be but no matter what I try I can t get them to work and I am afraid of deleting them just in case there is something you beautiful TechSpot people could help with Specs Hp Pavilion DV Core Duo T ghz gb ddr ram with Vista Home Premium I would really really appreciate it if any of you guys could point me in the right direction as far as fixing this damn thing Much internets to you Thanks Jack nbsp

A:Network Drivers on HP Laptop Fail

First go and download the Ethernet drivers.
You need to go back into the device manager and uninstall each device that has an exclamation point next to it. Double click the Ethernet driver .exe you downloaded and let the computer reinstall the drivers. You might need to restart the computer to complete the installation.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-drivers-on-hp-laptop-fail.128186/
Relevancy 45.58%

My mother-in-law visited us today to take computer lessons from my son.
Her Win 7 - 32 bit Sony Vaio connected simply to our home Wifi network, but we were unable to produce a web page in Firefox, IE8 or Chrome. Her mail client Thunderbird was not able to connect to the server. What did work, was Skype.

We deactivated the firewall, to no avail. We looked at the AVG-settings, etc.

When my mother-in-law returned to her home and connected to her own network, everything worked again.

Does anyone have a clou? Next computer lesson in 1 week!

A:Connected to network, browser, mail fail

In other words the LAN worked for printer and file sharing but there was no internet connectivity for her computer. Correct?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/114834-connected-network-browser-mail-fail.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi nbsp I'm doing a downgrade install from win to Win and have encountered a few problems nbsp nbsp I can fail Network BlueTooth to win 7 Eithernet, install on and install windows but ran into issues with the controllers for USB ports and the Eothernet Network and bluetooth I don't really care about the bluetooth but the others are neccessary of I want the PC to get on the interwebs nbsp So I fixed the USB ports and now it sees the USB ports just fine but in that process it blew out the controllers for the card reader which showed as additional drive letters nbsp Also the Eithernet controller and Network controller are all Splatted in the Other Eithernet, Network and BlueTooth fail to install on win 7 devices nbsp I know it is Eithernet, Network and BlueTooth fail to install on win 7 a Atheros Network Controller because I looked up the config here and it shows that nbsp Where I'm lost at si what Eithernet, Network and BlueTooth fail to install on win 7 to select if I go to driver update and then force it to select from list I can't find the exact drivers here because all it lists is for win and win nbsp I need the windoes bit drivers for them nbsp BTW checking i nbsp the drivers it lists this as the hardware IDs nbsp Network Controller Hardware IDsPCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS EC C amp REV PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS EC CPCI VEN amp DEV amp CC PCI VEN amp DEV amp CC Eithernet Controller Hardware IdsPCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS AE C amp REV PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS AE CPCI VEN amp DEV amp CC PCI VEN amp DEV amp CC

A:Eithernet, Network and BlueTooth fail to install on win 7

Greetings, Try the Atheros driver found here. Try this Bluetooth driver. Try this Ralink Wifi driver. Cheers!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Eithernet-Network-and-BlueTooth-fail-to-install-on-win-7/td-p/5623275
Relevancy 45.58%

since building a new rig last christmas ive had endless problems with wireless networking specs asus p q-se intel e gb corsair dominator ram palit hd gb seagate sata II gb corsair tx series w vista ultimate bit wireless cards d-link g rev C and Asus wl- g v With the g i can get a connection to the internet but im getting only mbps despite mb internet browsing and downloads are painfully slow With the wl- g i can only get a local connection or connection with limited access Ive tried everything i can think of Wipe reinstall and try new drivers tried all pc slots removed second stick of ram updated bios cleared cmos reinstalled vista I've even installed xp on a spare hard drive and i get the exact same problems After all this i thought i must have a faulty mobo so i returned it to the reseller they told me they have quot confirmed the fault quot and sent me a new one Yesterday i put my pc back together without any cards installed the asus drivers and put the card in connected fine and got good speeds on wireless card(s) epic network - fail the internet I rejoiced and celebrated thinking it was all over Then this morning i booted up and i got no connection at all after loads of tinkering im back to square one and both cards are operating like they did before the motherboard replacement Now i have no idea what to wireless network card(s) - epic fail try next and how to get this fixed Please help me out

A:wireless network card(s) - epic fail

Wireless A is what I use (I have a A/B/G card), while my wife and desktop computer use Wireless G
I have 19MB (19587kbps) down, 3MB (3743kbps) up. it also depends are your High speed Internet access, are you using DSL, Dial up or High Speed cable?

perhaps you should look at "available" networks , I suspect many are on the same G network which will make it sluggish. Try going into the router and change the channel. Try 11, and others untill you find one that is faster.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/228078-wireless-network-card-s-epic-fail.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Around 2 weeks ago my computer (Lenovo Y40) randomly blackscreened then gave me the following error: EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (F8-A9-63-4F-B2-14) boot failed.  I went online, and found this link: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/EFI-network-0-for-IPv4-boot-fail-on-idea-pad/td... I followed the solution and it said my hard drive was there, so I restarted and my laptop ran fine. Yesterday, the same error occured. I checked the hard drive again and it said it was there. Again, I restarted and it has been fine. I also disabled "PXE Boot to LAN" as suggested on page 2.  I've had this computer for around 1 year, 9 months. How likely is this to happen again?

A:Random EFI network 0 for IPv4 boot fail

UPDATE: It happened again today, but this time when opening the BIOS it said no HDD detected. Unplugged and replugged the HDD and it works now. Will update again. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Random-EFI-network-0-for-IPv4-boot-fail/td-p/3383125
Relevancy 45.58%

Hey,My laptop decided today to have the error of EFI Network 0 for IPv4 and IPv6 both failing and I've tried doing the f2 thing but nothing's coming up Got the laptop in December and I don't know what else to do or how to do it, can someone help as I need the laptop desperately for my university computer courseThank you.

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:EFI network 0 for IPv4 boot fail on idea pad

hi JessMoggie93,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!
this may be cause by a wrong Boot Order or the HDD technically cannot be detected by your computer cuasing it to boot to other media.

Can you first try doing a Power Drain.

Remove the AC Adapter from your Computer if the battery can be removed, Remove it as well.

Hold the Power Button down for 15 sec.

Reconnect Everything, Turn on the Computer and start hitting F2 or Fn + F2

This will boot the system to BIOS
 Check Under the Information TAB if the HDD / Hard disk is being detected.

If you cannot Find the HDD in there, you can check You system's  maintenance Manual on how to Re-seat the HDD connection.

or

You can conatct lenovo Support for Assistance on Hardware.

Hope this helps
Cheers!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/EFI-network-0-for-IPv4-boot-fail-on-idea-pad/td-p/1438111
Relevancy 45.58%

The problem is clearly at the level of my home fail home network intermittently across Downloads network since it applies to every computer in the house including two Windows XP laptops a MacBook running OS X a desktop dual-booting Ubuntu and Windows XP and even my Nintendo Wii It doesn t matter whether I connect wired or wirelessly Web pages load normally though maybe slightly slower than usual Not slow enough to be a problem But downloads are very erratic usually small downloads a few MB can complete normally but any larger than that and they will complete partially then suddenly stop downloading going suddenly from the normal download rate usually about kbps to a download rate of kbps A few seconds after that they will fail completely I suspect this just means they have timed out There does not appear to be a fixed threshold of size between which downloads succeed and fail nor does there appear to be a fixed point in the download at which all downloads fail I can Downloads fail intermittently across home network merely say to fairly high probability that all downloads over a few megs will suddenly fail at some point I tried sustained pings to various servers they all seem to work fine dropping at most in every packets Latency appears normal My network is set up connecting to Comcast cable internet at Mbps through a Motorola Surfboard modem to a Belkin wireless router Wireless G plus MIMO model number FSD - which is then connected to each of the computers I suspect Downloads fail intermittently across home network the problem is at the router but I have no idea what the problem would be I suppose it could also be at a slightly higher level e g my ISP I tried Comcast s tech support but all of their suggestions were very trivial like resetting the modem obviously I tried that some time ago to no avail Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 45.58%

I have recently established a new network consisting PCs all using win home group I am running Win bit Home Premium I also installed AVG Adaware and Zonealarm on some of the PCS My problem relates to fail Homegroup ? PC 7 on network to discover Win the hosts some the fact that one of the PCs is having difficulties seeing amp connecting to some shares and printers hosted by the other PCs and yet it can see others e g In Win explorer I can see some of the host PCs but not others and likewise when I try to connect a printer or a share hosted on the missing Win 7 Homegroup ? PC fail to discover some hosts on the network hosts they do not appear in the list for me to pick and yet other PCs on the same network can see the missing hosts and their related shares and printers One added clue is the fact that the problem PC was working ok on the network Win 7 Homegroup ? PC fail to discover some hosts on the network till such time that I had to replace it due to hardware failure i e new mac address amp I assume new IP for the same host name I suspect that the hw change is not related to my current problem since I had to replace two PCs and only one of them is experiencing my network discovery is that what it is called problems I would appreciate any advice you may have

A:Win 7 Homegroup PC fail to discover some hosts on the network

Quote: Originally Posted by dleizer

I have recently established a new network consisting 8 PCs all using win 7 home group (I am running Win 7 64 bit Home Premium )

I also installed AVG, Adaware and Zonealarm on some of the PCS

My problem relates to the fact that one of the PCs is having difficulties seeing & connecting to some shares and printers hosted by the other PCs and yet it can see others e.g In Win explorer I can see some of the host PCs but not others and likewise when I try to connect a printer or a share hosted on the missing hosts they do not appear in the list for me to pick and yet other PCs on the same network can see the missing hosts and their related shares and printers.

One added clue is the fact that the problem PC was working ok on the network till such time that I had to replace it due to hardware failure (i.e. new mac address & I assume new IP for the same host name) I suspect that the hw change is not related to my current problem since I had to replace two PCs and only one of them is experiencing my network discovery (is that what it is called?? problems

I would appreciate any advice you may have

It's important to point out that all those A/V software's may give you a good sense of security but they also will cause endless problems with sharing. I would uninstall completely every last one of them and use Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

After that I would leave the Homegroup from every machine then create a new Homegroup from your main PC and rejoin the new Homegroup from all machines.

You will want to leave the main PC turned on through out the procedure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/225721-win-7-homegroup-pc-fail-discover-some-hosts-network.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Everytime i try to download a file over around 100mb i get a network error on the download, or the file simply stops downloading. I have used another laptop running vista and the issue is not there, so i assume it must be my Windows 7 install.

Has anyone seen this issue before? I have linked to a Windows network monitor tracker from the time that a download failed incase this is of any help for anyone trying to help.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

edit: The computer in question is hard-wired for absence of doubt. Also torrents download fine, no issues regardless of size.

Nick

Link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/7ckg8i

A:Large downloads fail - ok on other systems on network

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540228/large-downloads-fail-ok-on-other-systems-on-network/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hey hope someone can help Me and my wife just moved into a new apartment and got subscribed to a new broadband provider They sent us through a cisco router model no epc and we created a WPA -Personel secure network with encryption type TKIP I have connected my macbook to it my iphone to it and my wifes samsung netbook running Windows but I cannot connect my laptop running vista to the internet I've tried with DNS Fail (vista) communicate Network/IP Primary 'Cannot Server playing around with different network security and could connect to it on WEP - but I didnt want to keep it on that and I couldn't connect the Network/IP Fail 'Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server (vista) netbook The rest of the security types and encryption types have the same response The computer connects to the network with an excellent signal but it is the only computer that cannot connect to the internet through this network I never had a problem like this with this computer and have tried it on other networks When I run windows network diagnostics it says 'Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server ' Network diagnostics pinged the remote but did not receive a response ' When I try to automatically get a new IP setting for network adapter it tries to repair but then says 'there still seems to be a problem with your connection' Likewise when i click 'reset the network adapter' the repair leads back to cannot communicate with primary DNS server I have tried a wired connection router to computer but as soon as I plug it in I get the message 'Windows has detected and IP address conflict' - and it once again connects to the network but not to the internet Oh and I don't know if this makes any difference but this is a British computer and I moved to Sweden obviously using a Swedish ISP

A:Network/IP Fail 'Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server (vista)

Originally Posted by Temlekin

Hey,
hope someone can help. Me and my wife just moved into a new apartment and got subscribed to a new broadband provider. They sent us through a cisco router (model no.epc2425) and we created a WPA2-Personel secure network, with encryption type TKIP. I have connected my macbook to it, my iphone to it, and my wifes samsung netbook (running Windows 7) but I cannot connect my laptop running vista to the internet. I've tried playing around with different network security and could connect to it on WEP - but I didnt want to keep it on that and I couldn't connect the netbook. The rest of the security types and encryption types have the same response.
The computer connects to the network with an excellent signal, but it is the only computer that cannot connect to the internet through this network. I never had a problem like this with this computer and have tried it on other networks.
When I run windows network diagnostics it says...
'Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server (193.150.193.150)'
Network diagnostics pinged the remote but did not receive a response.'

When I try to automatically get a new IP setting for network adapter it tries to repair but then says 'there still seems to be a problem with your connection'. Likewise when i click 'reset the network adapter' the repair leads back to cannot communicate with primary DNS server.

I have tried a wired connection, router to computer, but as soon as I plug it in I get the message
'Windows has detected and IP address conflict' - and it once again connects to the network but not to the internet.

Oh, and I don't know if this makes any difference, but this is a British computer and I moved to Sweden, obviously using a Swedish ISP...

i used to have this problem, you need to set the network adaptor to all automatic, your new cisco router uses uPnP so your IP conflict is probably a result of your unconnected laptop trying to connect to the same IP address as another PC on your network (eg/ 192.168.0.5 would be used by your iPhone, but your laptop has reserved that IP address for itself), to fix this, go to network and sharing center, navigate to adaptor settings on the left pane, right click the wireless card and choose properties>IPv4 properties, set everything to automatic, including all things in other tabs and click advanced and make sure DHCP is enabled on that card.

Reboot and try again

MrNeeds

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/292151-network-ip-fail-cannot-communicate-primary-dns-server-vista.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I am using a HP Compaq presario V TU on VISTA Home Basic bit for like years now and internet works fine I have used wireless dialup broadband LAN cable network and everything worked fine Up until a Adapters FAIL! given Screencaps 31 - Code Vista Network month ago i had a power outage and when i restarted i am not able to use internet AT ALL I cant search any wireless networks It doesnt connect to my USB broadband and LAN cable network isnt recognized I realized this gradually At the device manager all the thingy under ther Network Adapters show the yellow following exclamation marks Uploaded with ImageShack us and each of it shows in its properties says it has an Code error Uploaded with ImageShack us and IPCONFIG on commandprompt shows Uploaded with ImageShack us I have tried online researches and many turn out a dead end Others with the same problem as mine failed in reinstalling drivers and most of the forums on it just die in time Please help im a university student and it sucks to leach on another dudes com PS i am slow with the computer so a step by step guide would be helpfull THANK YOU FOR LISTENING nbsp

A:Vista Network Adapters FAIL! Code 31 - Screencaps given

From your laptop manufacturer's web site download the drivers for your ethernet controller and the wireless adapter, copy them to your computer using CD or USB flash drive or other removable media and try to install them.

I doubt this will work because the power outage/surge probably took out a part of the motherboard. If you can borrow a USB wireless or ethernet adapter try that, but I have little hope for that either.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-network-adapters-fail-code-31-screencaps-given.948975/
Relevancy 45.15%

I've connected many a printer through a network.

Local printer
open a port
standard tcp/ip port
input IP address
install driver
print test page
done

this damn printer won't connect. I have the right ip address straight from the printer
went through all the normal steps. It doesn't see the printer.

I've even connected the printer w/ a usb cable to make sure I had the right driver. I do.
I've re-done this so many times now that whenever I try it again after deleting the printer it makes 4 copies now just when installing it once. Is there a way to wipe my windows 7 (64 bit) of all previous traces of this printer?
what the hell is wrong with this?

any troubleshooting would be appreciated.

I should be on my computer for at least another hour or so until later today.
Thanks in advance,
Yonce

Relevancy 45.15%

It seems either a virus or malware hit my machine and AVG and Malwarebytes both found something and quarantined Upon reboot I can't contact internet servers Rescanned with AVG MWB and found nothing but updates can't be easily done either I'm still connected to a local workgroup with two other machines and I can ping them and move files Windows thinks I'm connected to the internet local network Connections Internet fine fail, reporting no problems when troubleshooting I checked the hosts file and there was an uncommented line at the end which I erased I checked internet options in IE and other browsers and no proxies are set This is the point where I'm running out of ideas so I've printed out all my product keys backed up my documents and have made a windows install DVD in preparations for worst case scenario I would be grateful if someone could recommend a last course of action Internet Connections fail, local network fine to try to Internet Connections fail, local network fine get the machine up and running online again

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592844/internet-connections-fail-local-network-fine/
Relevancy 45.15%

The few Windows 95 and Windows 98 computers we have left are all getting the same failure to print due to unknown network error type message. My guess is this is related to one of the April 12 Security updates installed last night on the print server which is running Windows 2003 Server. Am I the only one with this problem today?

A:W95 W98 Fail to Print to 2003 Server Network Printers

That was it! 3 of the updates were not compatible with W9.x

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/w95-w98-fail-to-print-to-2003-server-network-printers.352649/
Relevancy 45.15%

Background:
Windows XP service pack 3
Windows search 4.0

windows server 2008 with search service installed and indexing (local) network drives

Problem:
In windows xp, every time I add a network drive via the "add location" option, it does not save the location after closing the window..nor can I add more than one network drive.
(picture attached)

any suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-search-4-0-adding-network-drives-fail.1004982/