Windows Support Forum

Home server software

Q: Home server software

Hello, I have been searching for a good application which enables me to stream content to my Philips 7000 series 3D LED television.
I previously have been using my PS3 for this with PS3 Media Server, and I'm looking for a similar application for my PC to stream directly to my TV.

If anyone can name one or a few, whether it's free or payed, I would be much obliged.

Thank you

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Home server software

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Home server software

This is one I've heard is pretty good.

Mezzmo - The Ultimate DLNA Home Entertainment Software

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/184436-home-server-software.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Dose any one know how to locate HP EX485 MediaSmart Home Server software i bought this system and the supplier say that they dont have the instalation disk can any one direct me where to get the instalation software.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/HP-EX485-MediaSmart-Home-Server-software/td-p/5632026
Relevancy 59.77%

I have been given a PC with Windows Home of 2011 client software Removal Windows Server Home Premium bit This was a client PC from a small old Windows Home Server system which has now been dismantled as the server PC failed My unit works fine but I cannot remove the irritating Server client items from it - Launchpad and Alert Services etc etc Have looked everywhere on the disk but cannot find any uninstall file anywhere All the relevant files seem to be in the Program Files Windows Server Bin folder but nothing found there No separate uninstalling prog will work either Have considered starting up the PC in Safe Mode physically removing the Windows Server folder and contents then running a registry cleaner to tidy up the loose ends Am concerned that this might make the PC unstable so ask if anyone has any useful suggestions For now I have worked through the Start Up process and inhibited the ones considered relevant Also CCleaner has stopped the Launchpad This has worked but would like to permanently remove Removal of Windows Home Server 2011 client software the unwanted items Ted

A:Removal of Windows Home Server 2011 client software

No one has supplied any suggestions as to my programme removal so decided to risk it and do it myself as described.
Backed up whole HD plus registry, restarted in basic Safe Mode then physically removed all traces of WHS 2011 in file system.
Emptied Recycle Bin then restarted as normal.
No disasters occurred so used CCleaner and Advanced Uninstaller PRO. They mopped up the loose ends and everything seems to be fine now. Job done!
I suppose the same process could be used for most difficult to remove items.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/363671-removal-windows-home-server-2011-client-software.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Quote:
A free Windows multimedia and home automation application is released, called the Digital Home Server (DHS). Thanks to the nice graphical interface, DHS looks great in your living room, where it can act as a media player.

DHS is a hobby project that has grown wildly in size, and started as a graphical interface for 7" USB monitors. The current version can handle any monitor size from 7" up to whatever, and the screen design will be adapted accordingly. Moreover, the layout is touchscreen compatible, so even on small monitors you can still easily control all functions.

more..

A:Free HTPC Software released : Digital Home Server

It's been a while since I release the Digital Home Server, so I though I give a little update on the modules that have been released in the meantime :

Analog clock

DVD Player : play DVD from optical disk or local hard disk

Scribble Pad : a little drawing application

Wakeup module : set alarm time, and wake up with music

Picasa slideshow : photo slideshow with Picasa Web Albums

Notify My Android : send free notifications to your Android smartphone

I hope you like DHS as much as I do !

Soitjes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/169895-free-htpc-software-released-digital-home-server.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello all,

I've looked around the forums and haven't found a decent answer to this...

Does anyone know a specific date for the release of the x64 version of the connector software for Windows Home Server?

I believe MS said in the first quarter of 2008, but I was hoping that someone had a more specific date than that... perhaps someone from MSDN or the WHS team can answer this question in greater depth???

Thanks

A:Windows Home Server connector software (x64) release date?

Hi

The x64 Connector will be bundled in with Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 which Microsoft have slated (somewhat vaguely) as shipping in the first half of 2008.

My hunch is that we won't see this in Q1. As soon as a date is released we'll announce it over at We Got Served (We Got Served - The Windows Home Server Site)

Cheers
Terry Walsh
MVP - Windows Home Server

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/131339-windows-home-server-connector-software-x64-release-date.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have 2 servers; windows 2000 & windows 2008, I can always access them via XP but my system 7 home can't authenticate. It appears to add the domain name as a preamble my user name in the authentication....does this make sense?

thank
-Jeff

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unable-to-logon-to-server-2000-or-server-2008-from-windows-7-home-469638.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello and sorry if the title isnt the best I wasnt really sure how to word it I m afraid Having used search for the last couple of hours and seen many threads its clear I m in the right place You all have a lovely forum I m looking for a solution to a rather annoying problem in our household We have upwards of - computers laptops in our house and documents media are fast becoming a nightmare We ve decided to go along the route of purchasing building a server to basically use as a fileserver to centralise our documents media and thus enable access to either user account from any one particular computer we have Below is what I m looking to be able to do Fileserver Advice use specs regarding home for server recommended help server and mainly comprising of centralised documents on the server itself accessable by each person individually but private from others Central backup of all crucial computers to prevent data Advice and help regarding recommended server specs for home server use loss stored on the server and done by the server on a regular basis A dedicated server firewall to place in front of the internet before the network A web server so I can run image copies of my own personal forum websites and test any changes BEFORE doing them to my live site To download torrents large files etc directly on the server Like an automated nightly backup of my web hosting server online for example Stream full HD from the server to our media centre pc and onto a HD TV I was thinking along the lines of using older seperate servers the first being the firewall server The nd being a fileserver backup server and the rd being a intranet only web server to test new software etc on I plan to wire the entire house with cat cable and run everything at gigabit speed all computers have gigabit capable hardware already I have been reading online for weeks now but unfortunately the answers I seem to need aren t explained in posts I ve been reading The servers whether built or bought will run Ubuntu Server and we have a mixture of Ubuntu Vista W MAC OSX operating systems Shortly it will be only Ubuntu MAC OSX and no Windows at all Basically what I need to know is Can a fileserver backup solution firewall web server be all run from the one server acceptably Am I wiser to split these up into seperate servers for security reasons If I seperate them as above can I just get away with using old servers say with twin xeon or Opteron - ghz CPU s with - GB RAM I have a now spare Dell Vostro desktop PC with a Intel Q Quad core GB non ECC RAM and TB of storage x TB as I now use an Imac I recently purchased Would this be stupidly overkill for use as a server above I would be sincerely grateful if someone could be kind enough to explain about the required specs should my idea be well off I don t want to spend thousands but I don t want to waste money on something thats useless either I plan to purchase a rackmount cupboard to house these into along with the gigabit switches so rackmounted servers would be an advtange I can put my pc into a rackmount U case if needed Any advice is welcome If you need more explain please do get in touch Thank you for your time Lee EDIT Not sure if it needs mentioning or not but we use a Virgin Media mb broadband connection so whatever solution needs to be able to utilise this speed fully nbsp

A:Advice and help regarding recommended server specs for home server use

Do you have this network in place already?

This is mine below done with Cisco Virtual Network Design Tool.
For web server I use IIS 7.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-and-help-regarding-recommended-server-specs-for-home-server-use.147198/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello all Due to horrible noise from my desktop computer cannot put the case on because of an attached hard drive enclosure which has to connect home for server file home Create computers! to power adapters i ve decided to designate this Create home file server for home computers! desktop computer with its attached hard drives to become Create home file server for home computers! my home file server This home file server will be moved downstairs into the storage room so I won t have to hear it and I would like to use it wirelessly attach a usb wireless adapter This one runs Windows XP SP Here s my setup questions that I need advice info on the main points are home computer access ability amp restrictions setup email stored on network drive and backup solutions Once I set the computer downstairs and have it connected to my wireless router how do I get all my other computers to recognize it amp be able to read it see list of computers and OSs below Can I have all computers OSs have full write access to the home file server ONLY if the correct password is supplied Similarily can I DENY even read-only access to certain users or due to lack of password pr n not to be shared with all a at the same time can all users atleast have access to read-only access to certain directories ie music directory available to all in house Can the above be done with my computers if the home file server remains as Windows XP SP a and can above be accessed by my other computers to read write that are on different operating systems like Ubuntu and Windows Vista My main computer I will use is my laptop which has a dual boot of ubuntu and windows vista i want to be able to be free to roam in my house and access files freely on the home server no problem right a With this laptop can I have e-mail stored on home file server ie install thunderbird email application and have all the archive amp live email files stored on network drive on home file server also on the hard drives of the home file server how should i back things up there are gb hard drives and one gb hard drive with music videos and everything i ll have nearly full gb taken up right now all i ve done is a simple copy of one drive to another is there a better easy to setup way for a backup solution if it can be done how do i do it if the above cannot be done and if i should change Operating systems on the home file server what do i change and how do I do it Computer identification computer -home file server windows xp sp has bay hard drive enclosure attached therefore cannot close tower case computer -main laptop windows vista amp ubuntu linux computer -roommates desktop windows xp sp thank you in advance any advice would be appreciated nbsp

A:Create home file server for home computers!

ineedacookie said:

Hello all!

Due to horrible noise from my desktop computer (cannot put the case on because of an attached hard drive enclosure which has to connect to power adapters), i've decided to designate this desktop computer with its attached hard drives to become my home file server!

I can't fathom why you can't put the computer's case on.

This home file server will be moved downstairs into the storage room so I won't have to hear it and I would like to use it wirelessly (attach a usb wireless adapter). This one runs Windows XP SP 3.

Having your server connected wirelessly is a lousy idea performance wise. Moving on...

Here's my setup questions that I need advice/info on (the main points are home computer access ability & restrictions, setup email stored on network drive, and backup solutions):

1) Once I set the computer downstairs and have it connected to my wireless router...how do I get all my other computers to recognize it, & be able to read it? (see list of computers and OSs below)

You can map it as a network drive on each computer. (Use SAMBA on Linux.)
2) Can I have all computers/OSs have full write access to the home file server ONLY if the correct password is supplied?

3) Similarily, can I DENY even read-only access to certain users or due to lack of password?
3a) at the same time can all users atleast have access to read-only access to certain directories (ie music directory available to all in house)?

Yes, but the extent depends on the version of Windows running on those PCs (you don't specify home/pro or the plethora of Vista versions)
4) Can the above be done with my computers if the home file server remains as Windows XP SP3?
4a) ...and can above be accessed by my other computers to read/write that are on different operating systems like Ubuntu and Windows Vista?

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would switch to a server OS. Ubuntu Server is fine.
5) My main computer I will use is my laptop which has a dual boot of ubuntu and windows vista. i want to be able to be free to roam in my house and access files freely on the home server. no problem, right?
5a) With this laptop can I have e-mail stored on home file server (ie install thunderbird email application and have all the archive & live email files stored on network drive on home file server)?

Should be fine.
6) also on the hard drives of the home file server, how should i back things up? there are 3 500gb hard drives, and one 40gb hard drive. with music, videos and everything i'll have nearly full 450gb taken up. right now all i've done is a simple copy of one drive to another. is there a better, easy to setup way for a backup solution?

6) if it can be done, how do i do it?

Well, outside of automating it, it sounds fine. Make sure to have at least 2 backups of important stuff. CD/DVDs are good too for the monthly backups.

7) if the above cannot be done and if i should change Operating systems on the home file server, what do i change and how do I do it?

I'd suggest a server OS. Again, Ubuntu is fine.
However, in all seriousness, you'd probably be better off with a NAS. The D-Link DNS 321 would be perfect for you. Plus, it uses a heck of a lot less power.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/create-home-file-server-for-home-computers.791909/
Relevancy 48.16%

Ok so my original computer was a Windows Home Premium and that's the PC I used to work I had REMOTE DESKTOP on it it to need Home connect on Windows to I home job's server from 7 Prem my worked fine and yes it was a Windows Home Premium but yesterday my I need to connect to my job's server from home on Windows 7 Home Prem original pc got fried and smoke came out of it so I am afraid to turn it on I am now using my back pc it I need to connect to my job's server from home on Windows 7 Home Prem is also a windows home premium build and I remember I use to have remote desktop on it but I right clicked disabled one day a long time ago and after that I was never ever able to get it back Ive been reading online that Windows home premium does not have the remote desktop option odd because my other pc had it Point is I need to connect to my job's server asaaap but I am unable to find a way to connect to I need to connect to my job's server from home on Windows 7 Home Prem their server I have their ip address and a special login pass the same way you do in windows remote desktop I have tried downloading those rdp patches and stuff and it just does not work I cannot find the remote desktop anywhere even have the install said quot listening quot and quot remote desktop successfully quot etc etc Is there a program I can use to connect to my work's server my boss uses windows remote desktop I tried using teamviewer and added the ip address but it doesnt work idk if you have to both be using the same program please in need of help here

A:I need to connect to my job's server from home on Windows 7 Home Prem

My last option is to upgrade to windows 7 pro and pay the $80 above for it JUST to get remote desktop
I'm trying everything possible though before that.. but I really need this to work in order to start my job

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/354323-i-need-connect-my-jobs-server-home-windows-7-home-prem.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi I have an old ACER EasyStore H which figured out it v1 - Home restore Windows of Server Server should crash on me the other day In the unit I have HD's for OS and for DATA I have done restore not factory reset on the unit earlier and that has been successfull However I never had the amount of data on it as I do now So in a mildly panicked state I need to restore Windows Home Server v1 - restore of Server again I started with that yesterday and restore seems to be OK but when the WHS v connector software shows after restore it's just hanging and do not Windows Home Server v1 - restore of Server continue the installation so I can set a password on the unit So my questions are Would the connector software struggle due to my Windows Technical Preview version Does it make sense to remove data disks restore and put in data disk when done If possible for WHS to reckongnize the data drives afterwards Am I screwed tl dr - Server recovery WHSv doesnt complete and hangs when Connector software is about to be installed on Client computer Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/55556-windows-home-server-v1-restore-server.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I'm trying to decide between Windows Home Server and Windows Server 2008 R2 for my home server PC. Ordinarily it would be a clear cut choice, but I've got a free copy of Server 2008 R2 through my academic MSDN subscription. I'd like to avoid spending extra money if Server 2008 R2 would do the job. But I'm willing to buy Home Server should it prove necesary. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

A:Windows home server vs Server 2008 R2

Server 2008 R2 is a more fully functional product. You will be able to do similar things, but it might be a little more involved getting it set up and working. Plus, if you are interested in IT, you could use the Server 2008 R2 experience....but you won't get hired for your knowledge on Windows Home Server.

My vote is Server 2008 R2 without a doubt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/159610-windows-home-server-vs-server-2008-r2.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hope this is the right place to post this

Just set up server 2008 r2 on a older box I had that I was using for a few things. Tried Linux but became tThanks of a pain for such simple tasks. Here is what I'm using it for.

Csgo server
Mumble server
File/backup
Media server?

My main concern was for media server to stream to few devices in the house. I was thinking plex. Does anyone have any other ways I can go about it.

Thankd

A:Server 2008 for home server... Opinions please.

Not sure what opinions you want. All I can say is that you don't need server 2008 R2 to complete your desired tasks. Any basic Windows client OS should work.

EDIT: It should be noted that Windows Server OS's are enterprise standards therefore a lot of home license applications will not install unless it is open source. You will need to purchase enterprise licenses of software for them to be installed on the server. This is particularly important with Anti-Virus solutions.

Josh

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/303452-server-2008-home-server-opinions-please.html
Relevancy 46.44%

At home a friend has a server w/Server 2000 and an xp pro sp2 computer that work fine together. She has a laptop w/XP Home sp2 that wont connect.

Is it a limitation of XP Home to not work with Microsoft Server 2000 ?

What effect and/or use is VNC Server software. Its on the server, does the laptop need THAT to get connected to the server? (If thats the case, could anyone point me to a crash course web site on it ?..)

Thank you all very much in advance...

dave

A:VNC Server ? // XP Home w/Server 2000 ?

Yep, XP-Home will not connect to a domain server. You can connect directly to shared folders/drives in that server, you just can't do a domain login.

VNC is a remote control package, it has nothing to do with standard Microsoft networking.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vnc-server-xp-home-w-server-2000.580948/
Relevancy 46.44%

Just want to share my music, videos, and documents around the home network.

Been using W7, and seems to work well enough.

I am not planning to upgrade the hardware, so while I am at it, is there any advantage of moving to a Windows Server setup?

A:Home File Server (W7 vs W Server)

Good ones:
- More stability
- Less prone to software problems

Bad ones:
- Will require more knowledge from the owner.
- Will require setup (accounts, shares, passwords etc)
- Pricey

https://hardforum.com/threads/home-file-server-w7-vs-w-server.1902199/
Relevancy 46.44%

There are some XP/Server) (Server for Software Browser Web cool free ware programs that you can setup to run as a server Note I ve tested them all under Firefox Browser as they will work with IE for the past - months now Web Server KF Sever this is found on the KeyFocus web site has one of the easiest to install and configure plus you can access all your documents media pictures audio from this server also Web Browser (Server Software for XP/Server) Mail Server DeskNow easy to installed and configure the best part you can try out the full pro for days then after that it converts to a free ware version Still not a bad Web Browser (Server Software for XP/Server) program for free Music Server Vibe Streamer is another good example if you want to stream all you audio files to any PC using the web browser Again this is free ware and works very well easy to setup and use Note All the programs here will work with XP Workstation Web Browser (Server Software for XP/Server) and does work on Server also KeyFocus one you can also play videos too using VLC media player optional that one is also free as well nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/web-browser-server-software-for-xp-server.103366/
Relevancy 46.01%

Am looking for a real good program that will catch any program trying to phone home. Are there any? Anything built into win7 that will do this? Tnks

A:Software that catches phone home software

Zone Alarm and several other firewalls will do it.

The windows built in firewall will block all outgoing except for programs you specifically select if you set it up that way. So that'll stop all unknowns from calling out. But it's not as easy or verbose about telling you when a specific program that you have not white-listed is trying to call out. Zone alarm is a lot more chatty about what programs are doing on your machine...

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/156623-software-catches-phone-home-software.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a file server at home with a Quad core gb ram and a tb of storage It is running Ubuntu Home Windows Server choose: R2 Windows Server 2008 vs. 2011 Help Desktop and sharing video files primarily From my school I have access to a free copy of Windows Server R Other than the server I have Windows Help choose: Windows Home Server 2011 vs. Windows Server 2008 R2 desktops Windows laptop and Windows Vista laptop I am interested in moving to a Windows setup as I am done with the Ubuntu experiment WHS looks like what I need but I have a free copy of WS and I would miss the for WHS My goals can be described best as Need to Haves File media server local network Dedicated game server for various games for friends Print server Nice to Haves Music Video Streaming over the internet Automatic backup server File server over the internet Ability to manager other PC s Help choose: Windows Home Server 2011 vs. Windows Server 2008 R2 from the server My ability as an admin No experience Willing to learn and put forth initial effort to get setup Don t have time to really spend more than day moving from Ubuntu to the new setup Don t want to be stuck constantly screwing with things to get it right or keep it running What is going to be best option for my situation

A:Help choose: Windows Home Server 2011 vs. Windows Server 2008 R2

Honestly, I use both in their proper settings, and unless you have a domain at home with multiple users, Windows Server 2008 R2 is overkill...and would require much more tweaking and add-in apps to do what you want. Given your write-up, WHS 2011 is the way to go. It does much of what you want out of the box, and is designed for people who don't want to become server admins (or at least not be forced to).

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/216054-help-choose-windows-home-server-2011-vs-windows-server-2008-r2.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Windows Updates have been a real thorn in my side since moving to the country where I have limited bandwidth ISP. I have 6-7 Windows PCs I (try to) keep updated, both XP and W7. I've tried downloading updates just ONCE using the Microsoft Update Catalog, but then I still have to note what pc needs what updates and install them manually.

Newegg's sale on Windows Home Server today has me wondering whether I might dedicate a PC to WSUS just to manage updates.

Can folks here with WSUS experience suggest whether this is worth doing? Or might be more trouble than it's worth vs. the manual "Update Catalog" method? Or tried w/WHS and that's a problem in itself? TIA for any feedback...

A:Windows Server Update Services and Windows Home Server -- worth doing?

I manage the WSUS implementation where I work. Overall, it's a pretty straightforward product. The only hassle will be going through the list of "all updates" for Windows 7 and for XP and declining the ones that don't pertain to your systems. The good news is that WSUS will determine for you, which are needed and which aren't and will place an icon next to the ones which you need.

I don't have experience with running WSUS on WHS myself....but I'm guessing it would be pretty much the same as doing it on a straight up Windows server.

As far as getting the clients to use your WSUS server, that's a simply registry change.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/190494-windows-server-update-services-windows-home-server-worth-doing.html
Relevancy 42.57%

hi I purchased a Server computer during a going out of business sale as follows ASUS P B-VM Intel Core CPU GHZ GHZ MB RAM Win XP SP GB SATA hd runs fine very fast But it has Business POS software which I want to remove and reformat the hard drive with a fresh XP SP for home use as a pc home a using server I can access the Bios and adjust settings but it refuses to boot from a USB CD ROM which I have connected since it came without a CD ROM or Floppy drive just a hard drive I have re-ordered the Boot sequence but it still boots from hard drive no matter what The USB CD ROM is recognized in Device Manager and BIOS I understand these Servers are not designed as home PC s but they can be used as a home PC and that was my intent I am becoming discouraged because I thought it would be an easy matter to reformat the HD any tips thanks JAMWC nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

I want to install a server which would let me store files on it and then allow me to view them from other computer/ iphone/itouches. Is that possible?

A:Need help with a Home Server

Yes it is possible. I found some useful information here
http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/02/set_up_a_home_server/
Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-with-a-home-server.1054103/
Relevancy 42.57%

Is it possible to setup a VPN remote access server in XP Home? The companies computers all run XP home and I need to connect to them remotely and use network resources. For example, the company has a network camera system that we'd like to check and monitor over the internet, also we have software on our company computers that I'd like to be able to access from the internet to check inventory etc.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/vpn-server-in-xp-home-192839.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hey all, I have a few questions bout servers and how exactly* they work.

I have a basic understanding that it is usually a computer dedicated to server stuff. And i know people use servers to back up important info and host websites along with several other things.

But lets just say that I wanted to make one of my computers a server so i can back up some info and host a website off it. What would be my first step? This is where i get lost, how do i make one of my comps a server for my network.

Relevancy 42.57%

I am currently using DynDNS to resolve my IP to a hostname on a PC running Win Home and using Serviio to stream my media to Devices Mobile Web Mobile amp Web are gamechangers And share the drive for any PC's that just want to access the share It works great smart-tv can access it cell-phones can on the go can type Server?? Home a web-address in and with a little finess and port-forwarding get web access to my Home Server?? media WELL my DynDNS account is about to lapse and I am not sure if I want to pay for extended service or if I could reap the same benefits setting up a home NAS Server using a free OS like Ubuntu Server or Fedora etc The only purpose I would be using it for is above what are the more knowledgeable's thoughts I Home Server?? also read a lifehacker article about using FreeNAS which could do the same thing sounds like but networking isn't the brightest bulb in my chandelier

A:Home Server??

I am not clear what DNS has to do with the server

http://www.pchelpforum.com/network-help/124800-home-server.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I'm trying to set up a VPN server at home which uses a cable modem connection and a Netgear router. The router is set up to pass through the PPTP protocol on port 1723. The router has an IP address and gateway address. From work, I can only ping the router's gateway address. How does the VPN client get to the VPN server through the cable modem and router? Which address should the VPN client try to connect?

A:trying to set up a VPN server at home

Suggest you try the Netgear support forum. What you need to do to make your VPN work will be Netgear specific.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207296-trying-set-up-vpn-server-home.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hello all, I didn't know where else to post this but here goes. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a great home server I can run from my PC. I have Win XP Home, I have tried abyss home web server but it doesn't seen to work. I don't have a DN registered, but I thought the server would work thruogh my IP. Can someone please let me know exactly what I would need to do to get a server online. Thanks!

BTW, I finally got Mandrake Linux 10.0 installed on that older Computer I was having problems with. !

A:Home Web Server Help!

What scale are we talking about here? A couple of great servers I've used are AnalogX simpleserver, which, as the name implies, is about as simple as you can get. At the other end of the spectrum are Apache (a VERY powerful and versatile webserver), and MySQL, which is not actually a server but a databasing app, which will come in useful if you have a site that can take advantage of such things.

In addition to one of these, you'll need to open port forwarding to your computer's internal ip (the one that goes something like 192.168.x.x) to port 80. The procedure for setting this up varies from router to router, so you'll want to check your manual for more info on this.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/home-web-server-help-17302.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I'm in the process of planning out a build for a home server and I have some questions on hardware Do I really need a server mobo and server CPU Can I use a regular mobo and CPU and install server What is the difference between a server case and regular desktop case What are the big differences in using the server side hardware vs regular hardware mainly the mobo and CPU I just want to set up a small home server that has desktops more to be added later and laptops more to be added later then Home Server add a printer on the server side of it to eliminate printers I really don't need to do this but Home Server rather as a Home Server challenge for me and how cost effective this would be for a true server setup vs a media type home server such as HP's media home server vs a NAS setup I know the cost of a sever is at least double vs a regular desktop because of what the server is designed to do Has anybody else on here set one up and can share their in outs of it with me

A:Home Server

Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522

I'm in the process of planning out a build for a home server and I have some questions on hardware. Do I really need a server mobo and server CPU? Can I use a regular mobo and CPU and install server 2008? What is the difference between a server case and regular desktop case? What are the big differences in using the server side hardware vs regular hardware, mainly the mobo and CPU? I just want to set up a small home server that has 3 desktops (2 more to be added later) and 2 laptops (2 more to be added later) then add a printer on the server side of it (to eliminate 4 printers). I really don't need to do this but rather as a challenge for me and how cost effective this would be for a true server setup vs a media type home server such as HP's media home server vs a NAS setup. I know the cost of a sever is at least double vs a regular desktop because of what the server is designed to do. Has anybody else on here set one up and can share their in/outs of it with me.

Are you planning to use active directory?

I am currently running a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 machine (originally ran XP) with Windows Home Server Vail.

WHS doesn't support active directory so I can't say if that claims any benefits from Server Hardware (I'm guessing it does), but for general Printer Serving and serving Media standard hardware is more than adequate.

One advantage of WHS is that it has a built in backup utility which backs up all your PCs automatically onto the server meaning manual backups and trapcing around with HDDs will become a thing of the past.

Standard Hardware is fine for what I use it for (which does include a nice little web server which allows me to access my media from anywhere in the world as well as remote desktop and PC backups and Printer Serving).

Oli

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/92279-home-server.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Can anyone recommend a buy-off-the-shelf home server? in our household we all have our own laptops and devices. We want to have a central place to save our family stuff (bills, documents, photos) and be able to print from it and share files etc. We have a Virginmedia wirelss hub. Up to now we used a home PC (Dell Inspiron) whose motherboard has just died. So wondering whether to replace with a new PC or a home server but don;t know what the best choice is.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-server.1164356/
Relevancy 42.57%

i have one desktop and one laptop both have windows 7 i want to make desktop server because i going to install sql server on that i am providing the ip address of the both computers but i can not connect i also disable all the paswords and usernames but still when i enter one computer ip address it ask me for the username and password remember that i have speedtouch 585 router at home and these both computers are connected wirelessly. thanks

A:home server

Could you please explain what you are trying to do and with a bit more detail?
You are trying to install SQL server, but what exactly is the password problem?
Are you getting the prompt to enter the username etc from the router? If not...what?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-server.978540/
Relevancy 42.57%

can xp home be added to a domain if so whear do you do this this i cant find any thing on this

A:xp home and nt server

If I'm not mistaken, that's one of the many wonderful limitations that Microsoft built into XP Home in order to get people to purchase XP Pro...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-home-and-nt-server.57072/
Relevancy 42.57%

hi guys new to these forums but not new to windows Operating Systems I am writing this after coming from a Linux OS Forum and Home Server Help With been dissapointed with the lack of help and the level Help With Home Server of arrogance coming from there I am looking to setup another home server my current Help With Home Server one is running WHS but as i am rebuilding it to make it more low powered and effecient i wanted to upgrade or change the OS to something else at first after all the posts i found recommending Linux i spent some time looking at several however i found that simple tasks that can be achieved in a windows OS with a few mouse clicks take about half an hour of typing commands and editing config files in linux so i simply posted on a site funnily enough called quot AskUbuntu quot about which linux version would be best for me as a beginner and all i got back was rude and unhelpful replies so i did a bit more searching and came across some articles about Help With Home Server setting up Windows as a Home server this was interesting to me because as much as i like the Windows Server OS's they are more expensive and also have way too much stuff that i wouldn't probably use for a simple home sharing network i basically will be setting the server up to perform two main functions serving my files to my other pc's and doing backups which i usually schedule for times per week Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays so i wanted to get some thoughts on people who may have considered or already started using Windows Pro as a Home server and what their experiences have been one benefit i see is because it is a desktop OS most of the Anti-virus software will work on it so i could install something like Avast Free Edition on there and it should keep it safe whereas Windows Server i would need a Server-Grade Antivirus which i do not know of any currently

A:Help With Home Server

Welcome to Eight Forum protocol177, Windows 8 will run a home server as good as Whs2011.
Google storage spaces window8 and you will find that you can set your drives up much the same as Whs2011.
I set up windows 8 as a server and found that
Easier to setup than a server Os
drives can be organized better
All windows software works with it
As you mentioned all the AV products work
Common GUI with your other desktops

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/25185-help-home-server.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hey guys
I have received my BT Home Hub 2.0 today which I will set up tomorrow. It has a USB connection, i tried a USB Drive and it worked! so i can access my files through the network. Anyone know if i can set it up as an online file server (so i can access my files online)?
Nice cheap option for the future of "Clouding" Hopefully anyways

A:Home server BT?

Quote: Originally Posted by simpod

Hey guys
I have received my BT Home Hub 2.0 today which I will set up tomorrow. It has a USB connection, i tried a USB Drive and it worked! so i can access my files through the network. Anyone know if i can set it up as an online file server (so i can access my files online)?
Nice cheap option for the future of "Clouding" Hopefully anyways

I have had serious problems getting this to work at all even locally(as it's not suppost to be possible), however I think it might be possible to set it up as an internet server using the webdav protocol or something similar.

To be perfectly honest if you had it setup though (which I'm not sure is possible) it would be accessible by anyone because you would have made an exception in your firewall to allow access and then there's no secondary password etc. to secure it.

If you want a Home Server why not look at Windows Home server, it's really cool and really easy to use, the only downside is it requires a PC as the middle man but that is probably a good thing in terms of security.

You can download WHS beta from MS for free from WINDOWS HOME SERVER | Microsoft Connect although it can't dual boot on one drive and has to be the only OS installed (it insists on formatting absolutely everything during installation).

Oli

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/90335-home-server-bt.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I know nothing about servers.......

I have a desk top and a lap top (for now) in my home network. I'd like to add a server so I can put the data files on it, access them from both computers, and also use for storage.

I don't need more than 5/600GB

I don't know if I should buy a server, saw some small ones for about 200 on Newegg, or build one. I have the HDs, think I'd like to have 2 in RAID 1 for safety, and a TechNet 'script for the software.

Any tips to get me started in the right direction appreciated.

A:Home server ?

Any interest in learning a little bit of Linux? setting up a Linux box is 100% free, getting samba going is easy and it shares files beautifully. I would be more than happy in assisting you with the setup of the above.

In all honest, just an old box with a couple of hard drives should be just fine. It's what I have have used for my home server for a number of years.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/126947-home-server.html
Relevancy 42.57%

What do i need?

Are there any things I should be concerned about i.e. pirated files, bandwidth, etc?

Please help.

Thanks.

A:Home Server

Hello Labad. Welcome to the forums. I am not sure I understand your questions. Can you try rephrasing it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/16068-home-server.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I am a newcomer to Tech Support Guy with a unique problem My job is tech support for a bunch nearly of Windows NT Servers for one of our clients Most software for Server needs NT Software 4 these days is not written for NT Now our company installed these servers back in the s and they work fine to this day Dell has been good in supporting their product Our new installations are Servers But this client has been with us for over years and doesn t think that they need to upgrade But that is not my Software needs for NT 4 Server problem I am looking for software that will run on NT Server NT SP a and SQL Server that will consolidate directories and defragment the disks not Diskeeper Lite I am also looking for software that will allow me to assess any difficulties i e registry problems and take care of them The difficulty is this software must be current I cannot go to Ebay to pick up software I have to buy from a known vendor and the product must be the most recent Freeware is a possiblity if it can be sufficiently documented that it is a product that is undergoing continuing development nbsp

A:Software needs for NT 4 Server

I suspect you're going to have serious problems finding new software that is fully supported for Windows NT 4.0.

I don't know of any application that can scan any operating system to determine any type of problem and fix it regardless of corrupt files or registries. It sounds like you're looking for some type of Holy Grail software that fixes all problems. No such thing. Even harder to find utilities that work with an operating system even the maker of which doesn't support it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/software-needs-for-nt-4-server.593698/
Relevancy 42.57%

I need to install web server software on my computer so I can preview web pages before uploading them. It saves all of that unnecessary upload time. I used to run XAMPP with XP Pro SP3. But in looking to download it again, it doesn't mention 7 as being compatible. The last OS listed is Vista. I would imagine XAMPP is probably compatible with 7, but I was wondering if anyone had any info on this, or maybe another suggestion for free open source server software I could use with 7?

A:Web Server Software

It is not exactly what you are asking about, but have you considered using Opera Unite? It has a web server function to serve pages directly from your computer, so I imagine that it has some way to preview them also. I don't know if it would allow you to upload them just anywhere though, but I imagine that could be done separately, if needed.

Web Server - Opera Unite applications

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/65821-web-server-software.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I use Uwamp if I want my Windows computer to act as a LAN server in my apartment. (freeware)

Does anyone know of others also suitable? (server that is not limited to localhost only with MySQL and PHP included)

Would appreciate info on any non-Windows ones also - am trying to get a list together.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632528/lan-server-software/
Relevancy 42.57%

Can anyone tell me a good easy program for a secure ftp server? and how to set up a ftp server properly?

biggest question is do you need to buy a domain if you are going to use a ftp server only?

thank in advance

Relevancy 42.57%

I need something that can host a VPN server on Windows 7. Not LogMeIn Hamachi or the one hidden in Windows' network connections, neither of those work. I'm looking for a free program.

A:VPN server software?

Hello,

You are better of hosting VPN Connections via your router. Its simpler to manage.

What are you trying to achive?
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/201419-vpn-server-software.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I am having a dedicated server and need to know what firewall should I use for securing the server. I mean to say that shall i use a software firewall or a hardware firewall? Which is more effective?

A:What software is better for a web server?

You should use a hardware server; I would say, either get a router that has firewall enabled service or think about IPCOPS distro for linux; If you have an old computer around with two network cards, you can easily setup a firewall with no problem.

http://www.ipcop.org/

Hardware is always the way to go if your going to get a firewall; Cisco ASA or Pix if have alot of computer to protect;

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-software-is-better-for-a-web-server.911223/
Relevancy 42.57%

If I was going to build me a home server, what MS server software would I want to use?

A:Server Software

Since MS has killed off Windows Home Server, you should read through the linked article to see what to buy now: Windows Server 2012 Essentials: The Home Server Replacement | Windows Server content from Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/296273-server-software.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi I recently aquired a Dell poweredge c box onto which I ve had server and exchange installed I ve for home use: help? server Exchange been quoted to have the box installed on my home network but I m running out of budget so I d like to have a crack at it myself and hopefully pick up some knowledge along the way I have a simple ish home network - most of which is either wireless or wired through the mains power network The Dell server has NIC but I have another I can install - I m told I need I m at a loss as to know where to start ie how to plug it all in and from then how to configure it all I m told the server needs to sit in the DMZ this true Exchange server for home use: help? If so should I fit it with AV software recommendations here please Also the box is noisey and might therefore live in the garage and need to be accessed remotely from another terminal in the house This possible Could I get away with cabling the server into the modem router via the mains electricity route or better still via a wireless router I have sat upstairs in a cupboard What would be really useful is if someone who has carried out a similar installation can offer advice tips pitfalls etc Also if I could be pointed in the direction of some kind of Exchange home-user for complete s guide that too would be very useful nbsp

A:Exchange server for home use: help?

First, go to Dell and download ALL the available drivers for that model Service Tag. They also have pretty decent setup instructions.
This system is not all that different from what you are used to... so do not be intimidated with it because it is "new" to you. Simply start out slowly, and become comfortable with how it works... add and remove as needed, but slowly. Don't add the second NIC until you know why it is needed.
The noise is caused by a high speed, rugged power supply that is designed to run 24 hours without interruption. You can replace that power supply with a quieter model that will work just as well, but may not have the 3-year long life of the current one. But yes, it is often useful to have another terminal at your desk IF you can control the dust and heat in the garage.
You will likely need more instruction than can be posted here, but there are plenty of good ideas available with a Google search.
Your thinking on this project is very good, however.
One thing I would do is call Dell support, and ask them to send you a copy of the install disk that came with that model. It will have the latest service packs. But all other drivers will only be available via download.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/exchange-server-for-home-use-help.150150/
Relevancy 42.14%

Has anyone got Microsoft Home Server 2008 running and is Windows 7 able to delve into it?

I ordered 3 trial copies, and I wanted to know if I will be able to access my information on it. I will be putting all of my movies, pictures, and other such stuff on it.

I still have Vista in my quadboot if it becomes a problem.

A:Home Server 2008

I hope to be able to do this over the holidays. Gotta fix a heat issue in the machine I will be putting WHS 2K8 on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/826-home-server-2008-a.html
Relevancy 42.14%

i would like to find out some info on starting a Windows based Server that i can host my own page and or FTP from. i started this process with Fedora Core 3 but gave up as i don't use FC3 that much any more... i know batty, im sorry. i know and understand the power of linux guys trust me i know. but i can't dive into it unless i find some truly solid way for me to play World of Warcraft and other fine games in the linux Environment. but in any case.

i would really like to start and host a server for files [legal ofcourse (i.e. funny vids from games, or funny pictures [again legal, and NON-copywrited]) sheesh ;) lols]

thanks in advance

- NoRiN

A:Can you help me start a Server on a Home XP Pro box?

Do you have the bandwidth to do that ? Do you have a fixed ( static ip address ) ?

this may help. I think you will enjoy this endevour more if you use someone elses web hosting, there are alot near free ones
or free under like 10meg

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1027976633

also try 50webs.com or is it .org
anyway they have free, though I did a whois and the are in Bulgaria

[EDIT By NoRiN] Merged posts

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/can-you-help-me-start-a-server-on-a-home-xp-pro-box-75785.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Having trouble connecting to a server

Remote Computer runs XP Pro SP 3
Server runs XP Home

I need to connect to the server in order to work in the shared company files.

Can anyone help? If you need me to find out any network/system info, just let me know how to go about finding it

Thanks

A:XP home/XP Pro server connection

If this is a company system...any issues ought to be reported to the designated IT person/department.

What is/are the error messages received?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/382370/xp-homexp-pro-server-connection/
Relevancy 42.14%

I am running a FreeNas 8.2 box on my home network. I am using a free dns website, that allows to access my box from anywhere. Here is my problem through I can load my webpage (ie something.com) from outside my home network, but when I am on my network the page does not work and I have to type in the ip to my box on my lan. Is there anyway I could load the page using "something.com" on my home network

A:Home server dns problem

Yes. Either edit your hosts file to manually resolve the domain name to an IP or replace your router with one that supports loopback.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-server-dns-problem.1065921/
Relevancy 42.14%

Background I have a home network with PC s We have five people in the household - each with their own e-mail account and an additional one I keep for subscriptions mostly spam I recently purchased an HP NAS server which has worked great for sharing media files and personal documents it also works as a print server - great device We have the newest version of Outlook as our PC s are new Problem The problem focuses around Outlook and our e-mail which seems to be hard to access If I am on my laptop I can only check new messages via web-mail Once it s downloaded into NAS on Outlook Home Server Outlook and cleaned off of the mail server I can no longer view my messages I was wondering if there was a way to keep the Outlook on Home NAS Server Outlook datafile on the NAS server and use Outlook Outlook on Home NAS Server as a client to view the datafile Wouldn t this allow me to access my Outlook via the laptop or the PC I asked Microsoft support and they told me to purchase Exchange which I think is much more than we need for our home users all family members Does anybody have any thoughts on how I Outlook on Home NAS Server might be able to have a mini exchange server or Outlook server I appreciate any thoughts and or advice nbsp

A:Outlook on Home NAS Server

Inside of Outlook go to your account properties and click on more settings. Go to the last tab, advanced, and select leave a copy of messages on server. It will not work like IMAP. But you will still have all your messages on your laptop and the mail server.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-on-home-nas-server.70465/
Relevancy 42.14%

With the release of Home server RC the other day I though it was time I loaded it up and put it through its paces Although still unsure if I actualy need a home server I thought I would install it on the right kit from the start Server - IBM xSeries P gig gig Memory gig SATA Western Digital Drive So with a very lighter wallet I start the installation The setup took around mins and used the same type of installer as Vista so far so Home Windows Server good After the installation was completed it promts me for a supidly strong password reboots and its ready to go I spend the next half hour adding drivers and setting up my nework shares though the very simple quot Windows Home server console quot Now it is finaly time to run the Home server connector software on my PC I connect in to the servers network shares and go to the software folder then run the setup Oh dear none of the PC's in my house have a bit OS and havent for the past few years Just WTF are microsoft thinking their new flagship product stuck in the bit past Very disapointing Microsoft very disapointing

A:Windows Home Server

In many post in the official Windows Home Server forum, Microsoft employees have announced that Windows Vista 64 bit support could be something in v1, but don't expect this to be actually released until v2.

Source : Home Server

Very disappointing indeed

Dual boot XP with Vista and then connect

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/71157-windows-home-server.html
Relevancy 42.14%

hey guys, i got a HP Proliant ML110 G3 with 2 x 200gb sata drives.

i got it at home, and i was wondering what would be good to use it for.(at home)
plz tell me all ur ideas what would be most usefull for it.

cheers.

A:Tell me all your ideas (for a home server)

Seems like a bit of an odd request for me. There are tons of things that you "could" do with it...but I'm unsure of your needs, skill level or desire to tinker.

Things you could do (at a high level)
1). Install Windows Server 2008 and learn
2). Install a Linux server and learn
3). Install a virtualization hypervisor solution and learn about virtualization
4). Setup basic file and print sharing for your home
5). Setup a web or mail server for Internet use.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/96209-tell-me-all-your-ideas-home-server.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi all Just got myself a copy of server standard that I want to use for a file server for the home to store films music pictures etc We have four machines in total all running XP SP one is with server Security home a MCE with limited accounts no network or file sharing set up and an xbox Security with a home server They all have access to the internet through a D-link and have norton or AVG free running I have a daughter who is and has access to the net along with her friends who use it too I have done what I can to filter her access but it s always a concern that she ll stumble across some malware that gets past the Norton My wife amp I are I d like to think more net savvy and never open attachments never ok downloads and only let flash run on trusted sites etc etc Quandary How on earth can I safe guard the server if my daughters machine gets malware Is it enough to just not to include her machine on the network Should I exclude my daughters machine by connecting another router to the main Dlink and have my home net behind that but then again my daughters machine wouldn t have access to the files on the server would it so defeats the object of a server for her I m not sure of the balance of risk here I back up important stuff monthly to an external drive It would be great to have all machines on the LAN but I do not know the balance here between potential risk and convenience as I am new to this I am going to research it all but for mo I m new to this and need some hints to point me in the correct direction Many thanks in anticipation nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

Anyone else install the beta version of this yet?

I installed this under my Virtual PC 2007 Beta, and had a few problems with the installation.

Besides being a toned down version of Small Business Server 2003 (as shown during the setup!), it also attempts to activate the software (why it does this on a BETA I don't know) during the installation, and makes several attempts to make me realize that it will be formatting my drive and I will lose all data.

Uh, I would not have chosen "new installation" if I wanted to keep my data... plus this is a VPC, so it never really got rid of all my data.

Your thoughts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-home-server.545728/
Relevancy 42.14%

I am in the market to rebuild my home server. It is used for media streaming (transcoding on the fly) and hosting a few gaming servers on the odd occasion. Mostly old games like Call of Duty 1 and Unreal Tournament and from time to time, Minecraft. Just seeing what kind of hardware you lot would recommend!

It will be on 24/7 so needs to be power efficient and the quieter the better. So far I have:

400W seasonic fanless PSU platinum
Corsair carbide 330r quiet mid tower case.

All suggestions welcome!

Relevancy 42.14%

I had a crash with Windows Home Server which has stopped the server restarting. I need to get files from this hard drive so I have hooked the hard disc to a windows vista machine. However even though I can see the folders/files I want I cannot copy them as it blocks the access. I have tried "take ownership" of the folder(s) and changing the permissions without success. Does anybody know of a way or tool to get rid of the file permissions - I did think of using a low level operating system such as FreeDos or MS-DOS 7 but I have tried these on a separate hard disc and even they seem to install I cannot get them to see the hard disc. I am desparate to get access to these files so any help would be extremely useful

A:Home Server Crash

Hi try the method here Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/home-server-crash-685054.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I do not know where to put this beacuse it doesn't fit all that well anywhere else, so I put it here.
The question is, does anyone know if you can install WHS on a custom machine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116550
It kind of says yes in the specifications, but I just want to be sure
I see it here, but don't know if I can install it on a machine I build.
Thanks!

Relevancy 42.14%

can i use windows 7 home basic as a ftp server using IIS?

A:home basic as ftp server?

Quote: Originally Posted by edbergjun

can i use windows 7 home basic as a ftp server using IIS?

May or may not be possible read here. how to configue ftp on window7 home basic - Microsoft Answers

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/173444-home-basic-ftp-server.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I ve setup my own FTP server to share files with family over the net access files I might need from home etc I ve just looked at my logfile and I m curious if someones trying to hack my server Is there anything I can do to help prevent people hacking my server Cheers for your help Copied from Logfile - the th of this month onwards The same sorta entries have been going on since the -Dec- But I get the feeling I wont need to copy n paste that much - - COMMAND - USER webmaster - - REPLY - User webmaster password please - - COMMAND - USER webmaster - - REPLY - User webmaster password please - - COMMAND - USER webmaster - - REPLY - User webmaster password please - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username Server Home Security password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - USER webmaster - - REPLY - User webmaster password please - - COMMAND - USER user - - REPLY Home Server Security - User user password please - - COMMAND - USER user - - REPLY - User user password please - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - USER user - - REPLY - User user password please - - COMMAND - USER user - - REPLY - User user password please - - COMMAND - USER user - - REPLY - User user password please - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - USER user - - REPLY - User user password please - - COMMAND - USER user - - REPLY - User user password please - - COMMAND - USER user - - REPLY - User user password please - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - USER user - - REPLY - User user password please - - COMMAND - USER root - - REPLY - User root password please - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - USER root - - REPLY - User root password please - - COMMAND - USER root - - REPLY - User root password please - - COMMAND - USER root - - REPLY - User root password please - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - USER root - - REPLY - User root password please - - COMMAND - USER root - - REPLY - User root password please - - COMMAND - USER root - - REPLY - User root password please - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - USER root - - REPLY - User root password please - - COMMAND - USER root - - REPLY - User root password please - - COMMAND - USER root - - REPLY - User root password please - - COMMAND - PASS - - REPLY - Not logged in Username password incorrect user disabled or user logged in too many times - - COMMAND - PASS - - ERROR - Unable to send data - - WARN - Closing connection An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine - - CONNECT - Connection Terminated - - SYSTEM Server - WAN IP detected as - - CONNECT - Incoming connection request on interface - - CONNECT - Connection request accepted from - - ERROR - Unable to send w... Read more

A:Home Server Security

The easiest thing you can do if this is a *nix based server is change it to SFTP. This will cause your family to have to change their connection settings, but this will prevent sending of unencrypted passwords. This will also encrypt your payloads, but will cause more overhead on your server. You can also edit your firewall rules to only allow specific IPs or IP ranges to connect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-server-security.141530/
Relevancy 42.14%

I thinking about adding an external device for backups and storage via home network. What is the difference between a home server (hp) and and external hard drive of the same capacity (500 gb)? Do the external hard drives have an ethernet port on them to connect to network? Cost is a factor but willing to go the distance for what is right. I want to be able to access the external device weather it be a home server or hdd through network connection. I don't want to have to go through, let's say computer A, to access device. I want all computers on network to have access independently to the device. Thanks.

A:home server vs external HDD

All external HD's I've seen connect with a USB cable to a specific computer. Looks like you want a server.

I have 3 machines on a network, use my wife's XP machine that has 2 extra HD's for backup. Try to backup critical stuff daily.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/179145-home-server-vs-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I have recently bought Windows XP Home and to my shock discovered that you cannot run Personal Web Server on it. I use PWS to test my Active Server Pages websites. What do I do?

Is there any way to run ASP's on XP Home?
Or do I have to buy XP Pro?

One solution I have thought about is having a second HDD with Win98 on it just for ASP's. How do you go about creating one of those menus that allows you to select from which HDD to boot from? I mean those ones that give you so many seconds before it boots itself.

Any help would be much appreciated.

A:XP Home & Personal Web Server (ASP's)

Well, if you formated all your drives and started over, installing Win98 first, then after thats done, install WinXP and WinXP will automatically set up the boot sequence with a boot menu for you. It has to be done in that order though.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-home-and-personal-web-server-asps-2215.html
Relevancy 42.14%

A friend runs a web site with health information. On it he has an expanding number of mp3s (about an hour each) which are each fairly large. They are mp3s hour long conversations. He claims that he is running out of space, that there are size limitations.

I'm not sure if this a web hosting limit. Or a bandwidth issue when multiple members stream the mp3s at the same time.

I'm guessing that a 1+ hour audio is fairly large and that 30+ of them take up quite a lot of space for a normal web site.

would he be better to run his site from a home server with a dedicated PC? Or does he just need to find a better web host?

I'm not tech savy so might not be asking this the correct way, but bottom line is he is running into issues with is expanding library of audio files.

thanks,

pete

A:home server vs web host ?

I'm not sure if this a web hosting limit. Or a bandwidth issue when multiple members stream the mp3s at the same time.Click to expand...

it could be both - storage and bandwidth are limited on a lot of hosts

But often the space is quite large 100GB on the basic sites and quite a few hosts offer unlimited bandwidth - so your freind needs to tell us the specifications for is host
what the storage he has
and
what bandwidth he is allowed

for example (not a recommendation) godaddy and 1to1 all offer 100GB storage and unlimited bandwidth on the basic web hosting services

would he be better to run his site from a home server with a dedicated PC?Click to expand...

No,
A) the chances are the ISP would not allow
B) the upload speed from a domestic service is quite low - remember when someone downloads from a website - they are also the site is uploading to you

Or does he just need to find a better web host? Click to expand...

Yes,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-server-vs-web-host.1119895/
Relevancy 42.14%

I got a question today from a man who works in a tax office. He uses a program on his work computer that needs to communicate with the server. Now he wants to take his work computer home and access his work server from home. Can this be done? Sorry for the lack of information, this is all he knew. Thanks in advance.

A:Work server at home

No he cannot logon to the server or access the data unless there is a terminal server setup in the office where we can access from home. He will not be able to login to the office server. He can logon from home to a terminal server. For terminal server we need to used remote desktop with a public IP address.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/work-server-at-home.836110/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi,

Anyone have a recommendation for the BEST Home NAS server. I'm looking for one that is the EASIEST to set up that has a minimum of 4 bays.

Additional features that would be nice are:

streams iTunes, photos, videos ect...
uTorrent
remote access
auto backup
de-duplication

thanks!

Relevancy 42.14%

I have a server at home on U-verse and would like to connect to it at work over VPN So I setup VPN and I think that part works ok I just can t seem to access the server by name or IP At home I have a AT amp T U-verse -Wire RG which assigns the IP to my Windows Vista server I ve setup a VPN on the server and it assigns addresses from to At my work I m connected to the network over their wireless network When I dial in to the server it connects just fine However if I either VPN over Can't at server home access try and ping or access the server by name EARTH it will not find it My ipconfig is below Code PPP adapter Home Connection-specific DNS Suffix IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Can't access server at home over VPN Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix us xxxx com Link-local IPv Address xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx bbb IPv Address x xx Subnet Mask Default Gateway x x Why can t it see my home server nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

I recently setup a network at home for 7 computers between me and my brothers. I've been given the task to setup a server. My questions are?

Would it be easier/better to just setup an old pc to be accessible by the whole network to hold files, or do something different?

I've been reading about NAS setups. Are they worth the money being as though this is just for simple mp3 and various movie format storage.

Comparing redundancy and speed, which one is better for a pc, raid 1+0 or raid 5?

Thx for the help

A:Trying to create a home server. 5 tb

Thanks rick, your response was very clear and helpful.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-create-a-home-server-5-tb.130854/
Relevancy 42.14%

I just read about this new OS Home Server Windows on Digg Apparently Windows Home Server is available on Newegg for sale My first thought on this is WOW just wow for ANOTHER windows OS I will agree that it appears VERY user friendly as it should with such a price tag Now I posted this for two reasons One I m wondering what everyone else thinks about this And two my first thoughts upon seeing this were what are all the capabilities of Ubuntu Server and FreeNAS Since I ve been tinkering with open source for a long time but have always remained a noob I ve never really had Windows Home Server an extensive experience I m not completely aware of all the possibilities of the open source servers and if they have the ability to automate windows backups So what does everyone think about this new WinHoSo Windows Home Server doesn t Windows Server etc have these abilities as well Could FreeNAS or Ubuntu Server be setup to handle these tasks easily without expert open source installation experience I m eager to hear everyone s opinions nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-home-server.646839/
Relevancy 42.14%

Greetings, I've already tried asking in the Microsoft forum. I'm trying to uninstall Windows Home Server. I've already uninstall the Connector and software, however, I've just noticed a 20 GB partition on my laptop (drive D called "RECOVERY". It contains a folder called "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" and a readme.txt file. How do I remove the partition? Thanks,Shane.HP MediaSmart Server LX195Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/How-do-I-uninstall-Home-Server/td-p/5808594
Relevancy 42.14%

I deal with business servers at work, but I want to build myself a home server.

I know the main components I need to built the computer, however do you guys recommend certain parts and NOS?

Relevancy 42.14%

Well, this is something that wasn't mentioned in any of my classes. Shame on them.

I have a domain name for my wife and I was thinking of making a web server and email server so we can deal with it here. Sometimes our domain host is not fast enough Now we have the domain name in our name, so how/where do I get the domain name pointing to us?

Relevancy 42.14%

I have this many years ago and it gave a a major headache then.
I have a broadband connection and i'm using filezilla software. I have a no-ip address *****.ddns.net There is also an IP address. When i enter this into filezilla i get a message " Erroe could not connect to server"

I would very much appreciate a detailed walk through of how to set up a server. i have visited many sites on how to do this but they all just skip over parts that they think you should know. Treat me as dim is the best way. I know that it will not work without the correct ip address, to say this is pissing me off is an understatement .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-setting-up-a-home-server.1137932/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have an HP Home Server.Recently it started crashing with 100% CPU utilization. Any solutions? Antivirus has been disabled. Updates have been installed. Thank you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Commercial-PC-Software/HP-Home-Server-crashes/td-p/5646237
Relevancy 42.14%

I am trying to create a server that allows people to plug their computers into ethernet ports around the house and acess the storage of a computer I am building. I am going to use it to store music, films, pictures, and documents. I want it to that when a computer is plugged into the socket they can immediately access all the files on the server as well as the internet. I am going to plug the server as well as a bt home hub into a 8 port network switch and then wire it all into the walls. What programs will I need to run a set up like this and what programs will I need on the computer to turn it into a file sharing network computer that can be acessed by any one who plugs into the network?

Any help appreciated

thanking in advance

Jack-O-Bytes

A:Programs for a home server

You can do it for free simply by sharing your drives, for example:

If E: is the destination drive,
192.168.0.105\E$

Or make sure everyone is on a certain workgroup/ domain and you can UNC from the run line with \\PC-Name\E$ or \\IP Address\E$

Will these be the same PCs at all times?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/programs-for-a-home-server.846817/
Relevancy 42.14%

Am attempting to setup VPN server on my home system Have looked at numerous notes forums and none provide a definate answer to the problem I am experiencing So before I abandon the XP integrated VPN server and adopt another option perhaps you gurus can point me in the right direction When setting up New Network Connection -set advanced connection - Accept incoming calls it is at this stage that it will stall with the hourglass for aprox mins then give the error - Routing and Remote Access Service Home and VPN XP Edition Server was unable to start look at event log this say error x Have attempted to start all services as suggested by numerous forums but continue to fail at this point XP Home Edition and VPN Server Some even suggest enabling NETBIOS protocol or that some software items from INETSRV directory are missing XP Home Edition and VPN Server As mentioned cannot get anything to solve said issue which happens at the same point every time Please advise any help would be appreciated as I do not really want to move away from a facilty which should apparently be integral Many thanks in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-home-edition-and-vpn-server-469911.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a small home network with a server called //server. My old Win2k pc
can see ther server but my new XP home laptop cannot.

Anyone got any clues?

Many thanks
Trev

Relevancy 42.14%

I'm getting a new, better computer than the one I'm on right not *knock on wood nothing goes wrong* I have linux mandrake on this computer, and was thinking of turning it into a sort of sever for our home network. It has a 40 gig drive, and I would probably put a load of files when experimenting on the new computer.

Would this be practical? I want to do this for my senior project at school, (in 10th now), but thinking that I could "practice," as it will have to net with random linux distros and a 98se machine.

Also, it could be set up to allow logons to an gui session I assume.

A:Old computer becoming home server?

Oh yes, a very good idea. Linux will be a good fileserver for Windows machines. I recommend upgrading to Samba 3 though (your Linux came with Samba 2).

You can use the Linux box to set up a web or ftp server also without putting your main computer at risk. Maybe use it as a firewall even.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/old-computer-becoming-home-server.10664/
Relevancy 42.14%

I know the parts are overkill for what I will be using it for to serve media to TV phones and pc s it will also back up my pc s weekly file server and questions Home server ftp sync to an offsite location I will be testing things like active directory and VMware because I use these are work but I cant really mess around with them to much there The server is will be running Windows Server R or R I haven t made up my mind yet I want to be able to leave the server on but have it go into a sleep mode until something is requesting data from the server over my lan or internet I know how to do this but I don t know if its good to do with RAID these are the parts I m using If you have any questions please ask me anything Fractal Design Define Mini http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD EFRX TB x in RAID http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Rosewill TACHYON- W http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Mushkin Enhanced Blackline GB x GB http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E ASUS GRYPHON Z LGA http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Intel Core i - Haswell GHz http www Home server questions newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Adaptec RAID T http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E SAMSUNG EVO GB http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Home server questions

Have you got a UPS? What's your question.

Also can you please tell me how you do the sleep mode? WOL when something requests access?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-server-questions.200648/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hey,

I'm building a home server and this is what i have chosen. What do you think?

MoBo
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(14561)Asus-P5B-Skt-775-Intel-P965-Core2-Extreme.aspx

CPU
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130483/show_product_specifications

RAM
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130429

HDD
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135132/show_product_specifications

DVD Drive
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(23304)Samsung-DVD-RW-SHS202N-BEBN-IDE-20x-DVD-R.aspx

GPU
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(27112)XpertVision-GeForce-8400-GS-256MB-DDR2-PCIE.aspx

Case
http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/product_info.asp?stockcode=M003798

PSU
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(22851)Atrix-800W-Black-Silent-PSU-15cm-Fan-2-x.aspx

I dont really want to boost up the GPU and i will not be playing games just a home server.
Total price = 713.08 inc VAT

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jay

Relevancy 42.14%

Hi,

Firstly sorry if this has been asked a lot but from looking around various forums I cant quite get the answer or guide on how best to do things.

What I want to do (and apologies if i'm dreaming here) is create what i think is maybe a home server.

I have an old sony viao laptop and an external hard drive that i would like to use as a media / file storage server that other devices in the house can download to/access/stream from. In an ideal world i'd also like to access from outside the house using other WiFi areas.

The sony has windows Vista, other laptops in the house are windows 7 and windows 8 and i also have a blackberry playbook. Sharing the files on the sony with my PS3 is the only thing I've managed to do so far!

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A:home media server?

Read this for sharing media in Windows on local network. Access from WAN can be setup later.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-media-server.1090057/
Relevancy 42.14%

Here is the situation: I am living at an apartment complex that uses a single connection for the same building (at least). This connection is hooked into a router that reassigns IP addresses for that building. For instance: IP addresses in this building will be something like 172.16.X.X. Everyone has the same external IP address past the router-assigned IP address.

Since I do not have access to the devices, I am unsure how to connect to a home server outside (or for that matter, inside) the network. I have successfully implemented a TeamSpeak server in which both someone inside and outside the network were able to connect, but this does nothing to help me in the current situation.

I would also like to mention that I am hooked up to a home router, which assigns the IP addresses 10.0.0.X.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Tim

Relevancy 42.14%

Hey I recently added a post whereby I think my router is fried still doing some tests but if it turns out frie server LAN home for New setup - I m going to need to fork out on a new router So I figured I ll see if anyone has any advice as to what setup I should go for because my network is used for a home web server Currently I have EasyPHP local web server running on one of my pcs and broadcasting across the LAN so other PCs can access this web server All connected through a bog standard Netgear Wireless and Wired Router Modem ----- One aspect I would like is to be able to connect two USB devices a printer and an New LAN setup - for home server external HDD to the router so they become network attached devices -- but both items only have USB connections no network - I ve seen in the past some routers with USB ports which can network up USB devices but can t remember which model I was looking at back then Any recommended routers would be appreciated My main reason for this post is that I would also be in using the router as the web server running easyPHP for example - at the moment if I want to access web server from another I obviously need to main computer swithced on running too Is this possible It could also be of benefit when I have external users wanting to access my local server from the internet - but I m not convinced on the security of doing this Is this possible Much appreciated Cheers Oh and I guess I should also get a surge protector since I think the router got hit by lightening nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-lan-setup-for-home-server.857683/
Relevancy 42.14%

I apologize now if this is the wrong are to post this. Did not see anywhere better for it. I'm attempting to install Windows Home Server. I downloaded the demo from Microsoft to try it out before spending the money on it if I didn't like it. However after the initial windows is loading files screen, it comes up with the loading screen with the green bouncing bars. after that goes away it just sits there with a blank screen.

If anyone has any ideas on why this might be, please let me know.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-home-server-560764.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Well, I have really be interested in building my own server for my computer. I was just wondering if this would work:

I am running Home Pro Vista (sorry for wrong forums, I was just hoping I might of gotten a bigger response here, it really doesn't mater anyways).

My ISP is Adelphia

I am connected by a wireless Linksys Router.

Any help? Thanks!

A:Setting up a home server

What do you plan on having the server do?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/setting-up-a-home-server-132134.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi guys I am pretty noob at all this but at least I loopback? Home server have managed to setup my own home web file email server There s just one thing that I can t get right and at this point I think I might be wasting my time I have a static IP domain name from my Home server loopback? ISP which points to my home router I have forwarded web file mail to the local IP of my Synology NAS So this is all Home server loopback? fine when I am away from home and browsing to my domain name The problem is when I am at home What I have gathered is that I am Home server loopback? trying to setup a loopback I want to be able to use my home LAN to browse to my domain or allow my iPhone to check mail on my mail server At the moment I am having to use the local IP to access the server within the same LAN Is this possible with my simple router setup Let me know if you need more information Thanks nbsp

A:Home server loopback?

Some routers have the loopback ability you want and some do not. I know of no way of determining this except to try it. Apparently yours does not have it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-server-loopback.1090272/
Relevancy 42.14%

slightly off forum topic but hey

Just built my home server and installed a copy of Windows server 2008 i had.

Now i dont like it, and never have, as its the full fat version, even turning it off is a mission.

Is it worth getting Server 2011, or shall i just install windows 7?
As im only using it for file backups and as a media streamer to my home cinema system.

A:Windows home server over 7?

Do you have a copy of Technet where you get Windows licenses? If not, why not install a linux distro on the device and use that instead as it won't cost you anything?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/199779-windows-home-server-over-7-a.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi. Not sure if this is the right place to post ths topic. Acer Easy store home server is on order - delivery imminent. It uses Windows Home Server which has a useful feature for back up and HD failure called Drive Extender. Microsoft has announded that it is cancelling this feature in the next version of WHS, due out in 2011. Does this have implications for me, considering I have bought the current version of WHS; in other words, I won't upgade. The reason I ask is that people seem to suggest a dark future since Microsoft "won't support" the current version in the future. Thanks! Daniel

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/362839/windows-home-server/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi guys I am Setting Home Up Server trying to set up a home server on Linux machine with other xp and vista machines I have set it up and is working fine from inside the network And here is the catch I want to be able to connect to it maybe through vpn from Setting Up Home Server outside the network I got DynDNS address for it The DynDNS address works fine from within the network but does not work from outside Yup I am aware that the ISP I am using COX blocks different ports and it is on the modem itself and I am not able to control that My question is --- How do I go around the ports blocked by my ISP Now before everybody starts laughing at me and telling me that I am just dreaming let me tell you I had used Windows Home Server software the free testing one which DID allow me not only to connect to my home server but also control my home server and other computers connected to my network I had no problem with Windows Home Server except that it did not work with my Linux machine that I am playing with trying out different flavors and I wanted to do something on my own instead of relying on WHS So if WHS can help me connect to my home server and control my other computers from outside it means it went around the ports blocked by my ISP What Windows can do can be done by anybody I hope Any help advice suggestions would be highly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

At work, I have to make sure everyone is able to access and use this piece of software, it is called Alpha Law Vantage, but it doesnt really matter what it is. For this example lets say it is Microsoft Word. Could anyone tell me how I would go about installing Microsoft Word onto a server so that eveyone that is connected to the network can use it ? I really need some help guys, please help me out. P.S I am a computer engineer, so I know alot about computers, just not much about servers, so I should be able to understand you, so any expert help would be greatly appriatiated.

Thanks.

Relevancy 42.14%

I am thinking about upgrading our server at work and I am trying to put together some rough numbers for hardware and software to see if the project will get any support One I Do Server really Windows software? need big ticket item is the operating system In my environment I can t see the benefit of something like Server rather than Do I really need Windows Server software? XP Our current network is composed of about XP based pc s and one NT server It was originally setup as a client server but evolved to a peer to peer with the server being just a place to store data on drives in a RAID configuration We have two primary applications that use shared data One is Microsoft Access which will work just fine on peer to peer The other is Peachtree Complete Accounting This is the one that depends on the structure of the network the most Previous versions where compatible with NT but the latest version of the software required Windows Server or for client server operation But since it will also function in a peer to peer environment we just changed the location of the data to one of the XP boxes All the pc s can access the internet through a SMC router that is connected to a satellite so currently we are in no way depending on the server for that What are the downsides for me if I just build a pc with raid drives and such but go with XP rather than Server Should I consider Vista Budget is a definite concern So I don t want to have to spend a lot on software if I don t have to And I don t have a lot of time to manage it either so simpler is better too Any thoughts on a recommended processor and or board I am thinking about a Dual AMD Opteron Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

What is the best/easiest to use open source vpn server program? thanks!

A:VPN Server software...Please recommend

Why not use the Windows 7 VPN client.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) - Enable Incoming VPN Connections

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ns.html?filter

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/56148-vpn-server-software-please-recommend.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi there Firstly I would like Media Software Server to say sorry if this is in the wrong area as I am not to sure where it should be Anyway I have a average custom built pc i am using as a server to host games such as Call of Duty Unreal and lots more It also hosts a Web server For file downloading Please bare in mind this is all for local LAN use and not Media Server Software on the internet The Specs are Intel Core Duo E x GB DDR Mhz Memory ATX Tower Case With w PSU Intel G amp ICH Chipset Motherboard GB western digital SATA drive rpm Windows Ultimate Bit Now on to my question I would also like to use this as a media server for my movie and film collection I am thinking of investing in a RAID card and x Tb hard drives So i have a little redundancy I want Media Server Software to stream the media to PC s Laptops and TV s throughout my house I have the network infrastructure already setup for this The question is about software to use In the past I have used Windows Media Player and Center but these are quite limited as to what they can do I recently heard about Windows Home Server and was wondering what peoples thoughts where to this It has a decent list of useful features I would plan to use this is an virtual environment on the current server What are your thoughts on this Or my other option would be to use software like TVersity I have tried it before but didn t have much luck in the past Or can anyone recommend another way of doing this I e different software ect Anything i have missed out please ask Thanks you Spud nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

Don't know if this is right place for this?
I have a W2K pro SP3 OS running Apache 1.3.27.
trying to add coldfusion MX
it says that my server is a stand alone
and will not allow me to put the files in the htdocs directory
so I gave up and let it install in seperate dir.
loaded the java server and installed the connector to apache
now CFMX has latched on to my IP address and I can't get admin to move the CFIDE files
Dreamweaver does not allow a remote connection to apache anymore.
Please Help
Regards
S.Stone

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/server-software-setups.15214/
Relevancy 42.14%

Kinda a silly question but i recently bought a Tripplite UPS I dont like there software quot Poweralert quot at all I came across the software from APC UPS maker called quot powerchute quot And im wondering if i could use that software instead of the software that came with my tripplite or any other recommended UPS software that has good features From what i can tell windows is not using any of the tripplite drivers for monitoring the UPS so the device manager says so i think i 2000 Software for server UPS would be able to without having windows lose the monitoring connection I was UPS Software for 2000 server originally going to use the built in power management feature but ive had bad luck with the stock windows power managment feature and would rather use a rd party software So any ideas on weather or not i could use software from a different manufacture for my tripplite UPS Any and all help suggestions personal experinaces is greatly appreciated Thanks for reading and HAPPY NEW YEAR nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

I have a desktop and laptop connected to my LAN WAN both running windows I have an old computer Dell Optiplex with a intel Pentium IV Ghz processor a GB HDD MB DDR question software server LAN RAM that I am working on setting up as a file server I have a TB external HD that I plan to attach for my LAN server software question home network file storage I have downloaded and installed Ubuntu Server on the computer and am working on allowing communication sharing with windows via Samba a process on a Ubuntu forum is guiding me I plan to connect the externa HD to the quot file server quot but not sure if this will work properly given that my external hard drive is formatted in FAT as it stores essentially all of my files which are windows-based Will this cause file transfer streaming windows backup problems if I want to connect it to my LAN via the Ubuntu system Also while installing the Ubuntu Server System I essentially installed everything except the mail server and I believe that this included a GUI function but if I stick with the Ubuntu Server I was thinking about installing Ubuntu Desktop on the machine as well so that I have a useable for lack of better words OS on the system Is this necessary or can it be avoided Lastly I have access to several windows OS s with valid license keys but not WHS Is there an alternative to Ubuntu Server that I could install on the computer preferably windows-based that would be more easily configured to work with windows computers to act as a file server nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lan-server-software-question.991601/
Relevancy 42.14%

I came from a NT server network enviroment to a Windows 2000 server network. There are some differences. The only training classes I find are for Windows 2003. Is there enough similarities in the two to get anything out of Windows 2003 courses. Your input is greatly appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advise-on-server-software.334676/