Windows Support Forum

Install software for single user only

Q: Install software for single user only

My laptop has 4 user accounts all with administrator privileges, how do I install software for myself only so it doesnt show up in the other users start menu etc?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Install software for single user only

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Install software for single user only

as far as im aware this is done on a program by program basis, some give you the option some dont,

i would guess that as alot (all?) programs need to be installed by an administrator windows saves you the hassle of reinstalling with admin credentials on each individual account by just installing them for everyone

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/68566-install-software-single-user-only.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Is there a way to do a clean install of XP Pro without creating multi users such as Administrator and Guest, or in the alternative, delete both accounts. I am the only user of my PC and would like the boot-up process to skip all the log-on garbage and go straight to my desktop. I know I can disable the Guest account ( which I have done ) but that still forces me to do the password thing by choosing OK even though I didn't select a password when I did the install.

It seems to me that the 2 acct's were created after I did the install and I went to Microsoft's site to do the updates but without starting from scratch I'm not 100% sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:XP Pro clean install for single user

Wimpy369,

Welcome to TSG.

You Can go to Control Panel/ User Accounts and remove unwanted accounts.

Then Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Settings/Minimum Password Length/Reduce it to 0.

Then Control Panel/User Account/Your Account/Remove Password

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-clean-install-for-single-user.245979/
Relevancy 62.35%

I have one user who cannot print to one printer. I logged in as local admin, added the printer and it still would not work. I deleted all the printers and readded them. I stopped and restarted the print spooler and made sure all of the other users could print fine. I still cannot print. The print job just hangs in the que and once in a while I will get an error. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

A:Cannot Print/ Single User, Single Printer

Is it a network printer or a local printer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-print-single-user-single-printer-298214.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi all, I'm a Linux user (Ubuntu) but the wife has a Windows 7 laptop. In Linux one can install software as a regular user to his own ~/bin (like Program Files in Windows) and that software cannot affect other users of the computer (they cannot run it, and it cannot mess with the system configuration). How is this done in Windows? The kids have some games that they want to install but I don't really trust the software. So I don't want to install it as Admin because that would let the software pretty much do as it pleases to the system (install malware, for instance). I don't care if the kids' account gets malware, I can just erase their C:\users\kids account and be done with it.

Thanks.

A:How to install software for one user only

Welcome
Install in the account of your choice, then give proper permissions
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rmissions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/168209-how-install-software-one-user-only.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I use a standard user account for my day to day computing. Today I installed the Google Chrome beta and it fully installed without ever asking for the elevation to administrator. I thought standard users could not install software. Any ideas what happened here?

Thanks

A:Standard user able to install software?

Check this out, May be able to help you.

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/135091-standard-user-able-install-software.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a dilemma, I have searched the threads but not found something that matches my exact problem.

We are implementing Windows 7 and Bitlocker as encryption. While this works brilliantly, I am now worried that our offsite engineers if they are given Local admin rights, can disable bitlocker. They need to install software onto there machines and this cannot be taken away from them. Problem is company policy also states that they are not allowed to disable the encryption, which is where my dilemma lies.

I can lock down bitlocker through Grou Policy, but the offsite engineers are software developers so it wouldn't take them long to disable it if they do have local admins.

Is there anyway at all I can give them access to install software without Local admins?

A:Install Software as Standard User

Software engineers typically /require/ admin prives (local admin that is) to their machines as part of their work. Especially driver writers but even standard apps while test installing and uninstalling sometimes require "hand work" to remove mis installed items or undo the damage caused by bugs.

There really is no way around it.

You could do periodic checks on the systems remotely if needed to check of they have not messed with any setings and of course if they have once, warn, twice, fire...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/102392-install-software-standard-user.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I'm running XP Pro with mulitiple users. I want to "turn off" Internet access for a single user while leaving free access to the other users.

I've tried a couple of NetNanny style programs, but I don't like the extra passwords that others have to use, and I don't like extra burden on system resources.

j.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-internet-for-single-user-on-multi-user-xp-pro.142159/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have to select a user upon startup of Windows instead of have just being prompted for a password as per usual of having one user. Same deal when locking. Any ideas?

A:Have to select user upon startup, and after locking. Single User

Hello KillerHonky, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you have to select a user's icon at the log on screen, then what other user's icon is displayed to select from if you only have a single user account on the computer?

....or do you mean that you have to enter both the user name and password at log on instead of just the password?

You could use the tutorial below to set Windows 7 to automatically log on to a user account at startup.

Log On Automatically at Startup

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194713-have-select-user-upon-startup-after-locking-single-user.html
Relevancy 58.05%

As the title says

How do you install software so only one admin user can access the software and another admin accout cannot??

Thanks

A:Install software on XP home for one user access

Hi and welcome to TSF...

boot into Safe Mode and then right click on the installation directory then select Properties then Security. Click Add then Advanced then Find Now and select the users you wish to block access to (press and hold ctrl to select multiple users), click OK then OK again then put a tick in Full Control under Deny for each user then click Apply then OK.

Hope that helps :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/install-software-on-xp-home-for-one-user-access-109658.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi everyone This is my third attempt here to hopefully get some answers I need as to how to get my new install of to work I bought on the special download price new can not Windows 8 software account user install and installed it a couple of weeks ago For about days things were great but no more I installed something from Microsoft's Windows store and now I can not install anything else Not from Microsoft not from any other publisher When I try I get an error quot The extended attributes are Windows 8 user account can not install new software inconsistent Windows 8 user account can not install new software quot Windows 8 user account can not install new software On some things I am told I need to be on the administrator account but I do not get the requester to ask for the admin PW like I did in My husband who installs business software and interfaces systems all the time for a living looked at it and set up the hidden administrator account for me I could now install from that account and all seemed fine However he does not work on only plus he travels the world as part of his job and is not home a lot so I am on my own most of the time trying to maintain my computer myself I have LOTS of rd party software I am a digital artist so I have many Adobe and Corel products I also am a gamer so I have things like Diablo and Portal on my machine I subscribe to Steam so it is there too This issue did not start with any of them though but with a small application I downloaded from Microsoft on the Windows store At least I think that may be where it started I know this is the day I stopped being able to install anything on my user account and started getting that error every time I tried The first thing that gave me issue was in attempting to install Samsung Kies for my Note tablet That was the first instance of that error code This was a couple of weeks ago at least Also I am in the BETA for Neverwinter Nights I downloaded and installed the game which of course had to be done from the admin account This was automatically placed in the public games folder I do not want to play an online game from my admin account I logged out from there and logged in to my regular account It did not show Neverwinter as being installed there This happened with Skype too I figured I knew where it was saved so I went to the public folder and launched the game It is not able to run from there and crashes It does run from the admin account Why It seems that things like this must be installed from the account where it is going to be used but I can not do this How do I grant my regular account permission to install I have searched the user settings and I have not found a way this account is part of the administrator group Why can it not install I have looked all over to find tutorials or any kind of instructions for fixing all of this but nothing I have found seems to apply Would I be better off just going back to where I knew how to do all of this and could make things work or can any of this be fixed in My real issues are How do I fix this error I have run virus scans and malware scans and all have come up clean Would a system reset maybe help I would happily do this if it would fix things I will follow the steps outlined to me on another forum I have also posted to and scan with some very special tools as soon as I can answer a question as to how this is done Maybe this will find the problem If I knew for sure what caused problems I would be sure to remove it and fix the issue but no idea of how to proceed at the moment One thing that I do need answered is what to do if the scan tool wants the disk to repair damaged files I have the downloaded version of Win so no disk How do I grant a higher level of permission to my user account now I looked at that tool and do not understand it at all I see that you can add a Power User group to your groups but it brings up a box with stuff you have to fill in and I have no idea of what to do in that area Neither does my ... Read more

A:Windows 8 user account can not install new software

On some things I am told I need to be on the administrator account

Windows 8 is more secured than the previous versions of Windows so sometimes you need to right click on the Installer and run as Administrator. To avoid the nagging prompt:
Win+X->Control Panel->Action Center->Change User Account Control Settings
and set as shown below:

My husband, who installs business software and interfaces systems all the time for a living, looked at it and set up the hidden administrator account for me. I could now install from that account and all seemed fine

I am unclear about this hidden account. Is it the built in Administrator account that was initially disabled when installing Windows 8 ? and your husband might have enabled & changed the name of the account ? if so, installing Metro Apps with built in Administrator account will not work. Please read this article:
Build-in Administrator account can

1) How do I fix this error? I have run virus scans and malware scans and all have come up clean. Would a system reset maybe help?

Yes, trouble shooting on line is a little bit harder since we don't have a whole picture of what has been installed in your PC and how you installed it so if I were you, I would start it from a fresh install of Windows 8. In addition, when installing new software, always disabled what ever anti virus software you are running to avoid conflict that anti virus might have caused. Or better yet, don't install any anti virus software, just use Windows Defender that came bundled with Windows 8 is good enough.

2) How do I grant a higher level of permission to my user account now?

You must login using the Administrator account
Win+X->Control Panel->Administrator Tools->Computer Management
Click on Users then follow what on the screenshot

I have the downloaded version of Win 8, so no disk.

If your download is an ISO file, you can create a bootable DVD/USB from it.
Create Bootable USB or DVD with Windows 8 ISO

Hope this helps.
Cheers !!!

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/22663-windows-8-user-account-can-not-install-new-software.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi, good afternoon everyone.

First, I dont know is it correct to post the question in here.

I am a network administrator but one of my branch faced a problem when they try to install software. It prompt out a error message like "can not installed due to restriction , please contact system administrator".

Actually , i can give them administrator right but I scare one of them will use it to change some local setting. Like open USB port and so on.

May I know how to change the setting in Active Directory, just let them can install specific software only?

Thank you very much.

A:<Active Directory>user can not install software due to restrictions.

Hello, If this is on a company LAN I would suggest to have the IT department give this a look see to try and fix this up. Basically this is a company network and if we try to help you fix this thru our forum here and something happened your company might look upon this in a really negative way. The LAN is company property and it should be the companies people to fix it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/active-directory-user-can-not-install-software-due-to-restrictions.500451/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi:
Am trying to install a plug in for MS word on a vista home premium computer with multiple users. For some reason, the software only shows up on one users account even though both users are members of the admin group. After trying unsuccessfully numerous times to install on one user account, I logged into the other account, and installed the plugin with no problems. Returning to the original account, I'd hoped that it would show up when I opened word, but it didn't. So,then I uninstalled it on this users desktop and reinstalled, but to no avail. I've tried using the compatibility wizard as well. I'm sure this is something simple I'm not doing. Has anybody encountered this issue, and how does one go about resolving it..
Thanks again for your input

A:software install problem on multi user machine

What plug in?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/software-install-problem-on-multi-user-machine.587773/
Relevancy 57.19%

When I am trying to install a piece of software on a machine in a public environment it requires the license code for each user even though when I install it I choose "for all users". I have tried copying the installers (admin) profile to the default profile and that didn't work. I have also tried using a process monitor to track the license file in the registry when i do a fresh installation. The vendor (probably clueless its a very small company) tells me that this is normal but I am thinking that there is a way for this to work for multiple users without having to enter the license code. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

A:Software install requires license code for every user

Whats the name of this application? Look around user folders, if you are lucky there might be registration info stored somewhere inside.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/software-install-requires-license-code-for-every-user-469956.html
Relevancy 57.19%

When I am trying to install a piece of software on a machine in a public environment it requires the license code for each user even though when I install it I choose "for all users". I have tried copying the installers (admin) profile to the default profile and that didn't work. I have also tried using a process monitor to track the license file in the registry when i do a fresh installation. The vendor (probably clueless its a very small company) tells me that this is normal but I am thinking that there is a way for this to work for multiple users without having to enter the license code. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

A:Software install requires license code for every user

Sorry this is for XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/software-install-requires-license-code-for-every-user.911200/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello as an university we are not allowing domain users di write anything on the C drive on our Win PCs therefore users are unable to install any software and that is what we - usually - want But there are some nbsp users researchers Teachers or labs nbsp who sometimes need to install software in order to test it So we only user install prevent session but intercative Administrative software for created on their PCs a local user quot install quot as member of the local administrator Group They should use it when UAC prompts them to give administrative rights to install software or with the quot Run as administrator quot right Administrative user only for install software but prevent intercative session click This works fine but unfortunately we noticed that many users are using the quot install quot account to do their daily work so they are working the whole day long with the highest privileges and we do not want this for obvious security reasons We want to leave the administrative user quot install quot nbsp for the software installation purpose but nbsp we want prevent users using it Administrative user only for install software but prevent intercative session interactively nbsp we nbsp couldn't find a way to nbsp do this Is it possible In order to discourage users we also made some tests Administrative user only for install software but prevent intercative session giving the quot install quot nbsp local user deny permission on the start menu nbsp desktop and some other folders so that they couldn't find programs and be very limited in using the installa account interactively but this does not give the expected results for example the user is able to create a folder on the desktop after a couple of popus warnings or the start menu is not completely empty Any ideas Thank you in advance Best regards Eric

A:Administrative user only for install software but prevent intercative session

you can deny logon with security policy. this can be done locally or via GPO. Note you cannot deny log on locally as this also will prevent logon through AUC. If rdp is used to access the syetem, you cna deny log on through remote Desktop Services.
the settings can be found in computer configuration\security settings\local policies\User Right Assignment
If this is about local logons, a common solution is to configure a logonscript that does a logoff. This also can be done by gpo. As a security solution this is not completely waterproof, but keep in mind administrators will always be able to circumvent security
settings.MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3c5592ab-ddc6-47fa-b293-e191786214a0/administrative-user-only-for-install-software-but-prevent-intercative-session?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 53.32%

My father replaced his Windows 98 machine with a new computer running Windows 7. He's currently on 32-bit ultimate, but we could change versions if needed.

He's really hoping there's some way to force Windows 7 into a single user mode, primarily so C:\users\All Users, Default User, Public, and his own user are merged into one. It's absolutely driving him nuts the way it is.

I've done quite a bit of searching and have came up empty. Before I said it couldn't be done, I'm wondering if anyone's heard of a way to do this.

A:Win 7 single user, merging users\All Users, Default User, Public, etc?

Just curious, but why does this annoy him so much? Surely it's not that complicated a system and all of his documents etc are stored in the same place, with more or less easy to use shortcuts to these directories placed throughout Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210398-win-7-single-user-merging-users-all-users-default-user-public-etc.html
Relevancy 53.32%

A while back I let a friend set my computer up for 2 people. You know. Seperate user names, seperate passwords. He is no longer around, and I would like to change my PC back to a single user PC. Oh yea almost forgot. Lenovo Idea Center K-300 Windows 7 64 bit..
Thanks for the help

A:Single user PC

Go to Control ->User Accounts.

Delete the one you don't what any longer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-user-pc.187547/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm helping a small business with a new software application that requires an SQL environment with either Windows 2000 or 2003. The application will not require networking and will be utilized by a single user. They currently run a UNIX based network server called a chilibox and are very happy with it. The application user is running an XP Pro machine. What is the easiest way to make the single user SQL environment? Can I create it on her current workstation?

Many thanks

A:Single User SQL on an XP Machine?

I figured somebody would answer this by now.

If I recall, there's a single user SQL from Microsoft that's a "desktop edition"
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/msde/prodinfo.mspx

Of course, now that I've read this, it appears that they're canning this for Vista.

In the mean time, you should be able to use the MSDE engine. Not the fastest, but if it's single user it's probably ok.

Having said that, using SQL etc has some caveats.

1] Whatever the XP system has now, it'll probably need more memory to perform satisfactory.
2] You need to protect the system and filesystems/database from being shutdown abnormally. They need to be queiesced. This means the system needs a UPS of some form. Something that will keep it up long enough to shutdown gracefully.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-sql-on-an-xp-machine.506468/
Relevancy 52.89%

I currently use Vista, and have Win7 on pre-order.

My question is: can I set up Win7 as a single-user system, and not have to mess with the user access controls? I have a single user defined on my Vaio now, but I still have to deal with the multiple levels of user controls/etc. I just want the desktop/directories to show up like they used to, before I had to traverse down through the user level. For example, could I just be the administrator in Win7 and not define any other users? If I can do that, do I have to do a clean install (since I do have a single user defined now)?

Thanx/Jerry

A:Single User Question

Hello Jerry, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I think you may have misunderstood what UAC is. Read the links in the green information box in the tutorial below for a more detailed explanation of what UAC is and what is does if you like. The tutorial below will also show you how to turn UAC off.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

You might also look into the built-in Adminsitrator account to see if you may be interested in using it for what you want. I would recommend to stick with your current default administrator account though for better security.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/26624-single-user-question.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Is there such a thing? Just myself as Administrator. No Guest and no other user accounts, and with full security options.

The option to add another language could be useful.

Thanks for your expertise.

Relevancy 52.89%

This has most likely been covered before but I am wondering about admin accounts vs non admin accounts.
I understand that if you have a network you most likely would want to have an admin and a group of users.
But what if you have a single computer with only one user?
Is there any advantage or necessity to have an admin account and a user account ?
Is an admin account necessarily more secure to the outside world? as in protection from hackers, malware, viruses, etc.

A:Single User Security

With a single pc you should create a standard user account and use it for everything. Only use the admin account when necessary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/206141-single-user-security.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have XP, and am the only user of my computer. When I boot up, I get a prompt with my user name that I must click on before the machine finishes booting. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks.

Relevancy 52.89%

As a single user I'm not worried about physical login.

However, I do download from the NET and have several of my own programs which access trusted servers of third parties. I never paid much attention to security as up to down figured those hacking were way ahead of those trying to stop it.

With my new build and install of Windows 7, I decided maybe now is the time.

So my questions are:

1) When accessing the NET should I be logging on to my system as a user rather than administrator?
2) Is Windows 7 Firewall adequate or better than someone else?
3) Would it be better to use a sandbox?
4) If I use a sandbox, how can I ensure that the programs or pages I download from the NET are not infected so I can copy them onto my system -- e.g. what program should I run against the download to check it for viruses)?

Thanks
David

A:Single User Security

David
Very astute questions.
It is suggested that you do not log on as administrator. If you are infected by malware the damage done will be limited
Windows 7 firewall is fine. Others are going to post and disagree, since it is a matter of opinion. I trust my system to the built in fire wall.
Sandboxie is very good software. I do not use it but it will give you an extra layer of protection
You can test the safety of any download with virus total
https://www.virustotal.com/
Now here is your bonus answer. I use the free Macrium Reflect. It makes an image of my hard drive (I make an image after any big changes, ie updates. It has saved me from 3 virus. You get a virus, just replace with the image.
Good luck to you

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/355123-single-user-security.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Earlier today maybe an hour before this post I was watching a LP on Youtube I ve been watching it for a few days now While watching my laptop A HP DV froze I m used to some infrequent freezing that seems more like lag then freezing and I usually restart afterward but this freeze was very different The sound from the video didn t keep going like the times Does Single Load Not User before when it froze instead it did this weird skippy thing Like if it had froze on the word quot Door quot it just said quot D-d-d-d-dd-d-d-d-dd quot for about a minute Then it paused slightly continued to make the noise but it sounded lower At this point I just forced a restart I felt the keyboard and it was kind of warm but not really So I left it open and let it cool down for a few minutes Then I restarted the computer It asked about running in safe mode blah blah and I went back to the of users that I was using before When I loaded Single User Does Not Load it though it took a long time Around or so minutes to get from quot Welcome quot to the actual desktop Once there it showed the quot device not compatible quot or whatever page which I keep forgetting to get rid of When I move the mouse to click it it lags for a while but then the mouse kicks in and I can press cancel At this point it still has not loaded the desktop it just looks like a black wallpaper without desktop icons Then I look down at the taskbar and I see that the time is the same as whatever time welcome screen disappeared If I put my mouse over the taskbar to try and click something pinned it just gives me the loading circle amp mouse thing Pressing the windows key does not pull up the menu I restarted a few times and got the same symptoms so finally I logged into a different account from the welcome page which worked perfectly Then I logged off and tried to log onto the buggy account it didn t work I hibernated from there fn f method and it hibernated but when I turned the comp back on it couldn t resume When I restarted it asked if I wanted to try to resume again but I declined and logged onto a non-buggy account and came here to post this Usually I try to fix my own computer messes but I ve only been using windows for about weeks now and I barely feel comfortable fixing the registry for Daemon Tools I didn t even try so I don t think I ll be trying to fix this on my own EDIT It is hours later and now I cannot log onto this user at all It freezes on the welcome page as it is loading I checked all of my startup programs I ran my antivirus and malware bytes though I doubt that is it issue I feel like the problem must lie in the ntuser dat log files and such on that account but I just cannot bring myself to fiddle with them since that may ruin everything Normally I would just delete the account but it is the only account that I really use and it was such a hassle getting all my stuff on there plus since I don t know what the problem is I don t want to attempt to move any of my stuff from there to another account grrrrr EDIT It dawned on me to try and do a system restore but that didn t work either O o which is weird since the restore point was from days ago and I didn t have this problem twelve hours ago so much as days I wish system restore was more like an image

A:Single User Does Not Load

Hello hopefully I can point you in the right direction to fix your problem.Please read this concerning ntuser.dat a corrupted user profile. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ed-user-profileHope this helps and please keep us informed as to whether this helped or not.Kind regards.Bruce.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339284/single-user-does-not-load/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm helping a small business with a new software application that requires an SQL environment with either Windows 2000 or 2003. The application will not require networking and will be utilized by a single user. They currently run a UNIX based network server called a chilibox and are very happy with it. The application user is running an XP Pro machine. What is the easiest way to make the single user SQL environment? Can I create it on her current workstation?

Many thanks

A:Single User SQL on an XP Machine?

How about installing the MDSE version of SQL (aka SQL 2005 Express) and install it on your XP Workstation?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

Or is your product doesn't support 2005, then try the MSDE 2000 RelA.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/aa336301.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-sql-on-an-xp-machine.506505/
Relevancy 52.03%

I'm considering reconfiguring the installer for an application I develop. In the past, it allowed for All Users installs. If I want it to only be installed as a Single User, what user folder does best practices use as the install target? I can think of a few possibilities:

c:\Users\UserName\My Documents\
c:\Users\
c:\Users\Program Files\

Of course I'd have to have my installer created that last one on the above list.

A:What folder should a Single User app be installed in?

While none of those really convinces me, I would think the best would be to use either %LOCALAPPDATA% or %APPDATA% environment variables as the base folder, which in particular in Windows 7 maps to c:\users\<username>\appdata\local and c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming respectively. Creating a folder right there and dumping the program, and afterwards its data, there is not a bad option for a portable program. Alternatively, using %USERPROFILE% (c:\users\<username>) is possible.

Installing to documents folder is not a good choice because that's a frequent place for user data, and extraneous folders there may get in the way while using another programs. Some programs (including MS ones) fall into that bad practice. The other two options are simply unacceptable, because users don't normally have write permissions there, unless the installer tampers with them, which is not recommended at all for built-in system locations.

Any choice you made, just make sure to give the user a choice to change it to anything he wants, and remember to always use those environment variables, or even better API calls to retrieve those paths, don't hardcode them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/309437-what-folder-should-single-user-app-installed.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Having just purchased a new laptop with Win XP Professional installed I am having significant problems in recreating the Win 98 environment I am used to. I have already switched to Windows Classic view throughout and set up categories under Start Menu > Programs so that I can keep everything clean. Unfortunately XP works with multiple users so I have 2 Start Menus which is really peeing me off.

It's MY computer and I will be the only person that uses it so how do change XP into a single user environment (All users only)?

Relevancy 52.03%

If it is possible to reconfigure WinXP (home or Pro) so there is only a single user, the "all-powerful" one, how is that done? I am the only real user, and my new machine has very little stuff on it, all replacable. I see that XP has the "Administrator" or "Owner" mode, which surely resembles what I intend to have as the sole and single subset of the OS. It also has "default user", and perhaps others, which were present when purchased. I have not created nor configured any of those modes or users.

So the basic questions are:
Is it acceptable to remove all those other "modes", leaving only the "Admin" mode?

If so, then may that mode be renamed?

Recognizing references to hacker-protection, are there other factors to consider?

Blessed Be;
UU7th

A:XP - Single-user. Remove other logins?

Default User should have the administrative powers. You should be able to remove the other users, and then, if you get a welcome screen and you don't want it, you can change the way you log on under "users" in the Control Panel. Be careful not to delete all users with Admin priveleges!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/22435/xp-single-user-remove-other-logins/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi everyone,
My friend just got a lap top HP ,when turns on the computer it has her name to click on to open up windows.
Is there a way to get rid of her name to log on,and just go right to windows without clicking on her name
Thanks

Airdale

A:Change user from dual to single

Well. you can simply never log off, just shutdown the computer and you'll never see the log on screen again. You can also change the name if you so desire. Or, if I read your post right...simply log on your name and never log off. There is a procedure to delete USERS and you can from the Control Panel. Make sure though that you are logged on as the Administrator.

BTW, I assuming this is XP????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-from-dual-to-single.262887/
Relevancy 52.03%

I setting up Windows XP Professional on my new ThinkPad T60. I am the only one who will use or have access to the computer, and do not want to have to log in or have to enter my password if I haven't used the computer for a while. I set up my desktop computer with Windows XP some time ago, so I know it can be done, but have forgotten how I did it

How do I turn these settings off so that when I boot up I can start using the computer immediately?

Regards, Alex

Regards, Alex

A:Single user security settings

Start, Run and type: control userpasswords2. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

It would be wise to password the "Administrator" account and create a separate account for yourself.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-security-settings.602999/
Relevancy 52.03%

We currently running Windows XP Home on our 2 Pc's at home. Four people use the PC's and we each have our own logons.

Is there a way so that when my son installs new software, (he seems to install about 10 new programs per day), it will ONLY populate his program list on his logon and NOT the program list for the other 3 users of the PC ? It is very frustrating

I notice that some installations ask if there will be a single or multiple users of that program, but what I would really like is to be able to be selective EVERY TIME.

Your help will be appreciated.

A:Installing program on XP for single user

I think the best way is to manually do it as I think there no way in stopping it happing.
Open C:\Documents and Settings you will see a All users folder look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
If you copy all there and move to each users C:.......\Start Menu you can delete it from All users start menu folder and start to clean up your own menues
1)summary copy C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
2)paste to every users C:\Documents and Settings\Everyuser\Start Menu
3)delete whats in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
4)clean up your start menu

hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-program-on-xp-for-single-user.504917/
Relevancy 52.03%

Simple question:

What's the easiest way to revert XP to single user mode, so that no login is required and it simply boots directly to the desktop?

Thanks

A:Revert XP to single user mode

Delete all but one user and In the User panel, click on "Change the way users log on and off" and put a tick in Use Welcome Screen

wrs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/revert-xp-to-single-user-mode.287519/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi I'm having an issue I just can't seem to figure out At my place of work we are currently in the process of upgrading our machines from XP to We recently got a brand new machine with for one of the employees So I installed all the necessary software on his machine under the administrator login for our domain Everything worked fine I take the new box to him boot it up try to open and set up his email Outlook and it gives me a Error - The path Application Data contains an invalid character So I try to uninstall or repair and get the same error I then log off the User's account he is set to run as administrator on the machine but not the Error 1324 Single User domain and log back as administrator and everything opens fine Then I log in with a different User's account and everything works fine So I'm thinking that this has to be a specific User issue but everything I have read says it is due to an error in the registry But this doesn't make sense to me since it is a brand new computer and other accounts worked fine Unless registry files transfer with the account and not the machine He is back on an XP box for the moment and everything is working fine but we need to upgrade him asap Anyone have any ideas Thanks

A:Single User 1324 Error

By the way same thing happens for Office suite 2007. It seems to be Office products in general.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/single-user-1324-error-560718.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Intel i7, Windows 7, HP 6000 printer, Word 2007, Works 4.5a.
I have three user accounts but can only print on the administrative account in which I installed the printer. I installed it as shown below but it still will not print in the other two user accounts. I wish to have my grandchildren use this printer from the guest account.
Devices and Printers
Printer properties
Sharing tab
Sharing this printer is checked
Security tab
Permissions for everyone
Print allow is checked.
In addition to Word 2007 I installed a Win95 copy of works and it will only print in the one account also so I am sure it is a Windows 7 software problem.
any ideas?

A:Print only in single user account.

Did you shut down and boot up again when you gave your kids account permission?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/41058-print-only-single-user-account.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello, from someone who embarrassingly never used nor really understood 'Sharing folders' in any Windows edition, I would simply like to know if I being the only user of my laptop where to stop sharing via my 'Users' folder I would get any benefit or at the very least not to suffer any malign consequences? I feel foolish for not getting familiar with such a basic part of Windows and I would be grateful for any advice.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/74526-sharing-implications-single-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

The Hound said It says right in the properties dialog box to check the boxes to improve performance If you re the only user I wouldn t see a problem You user for Settings Gpedit for Single not Administrator could uncheck the boxes if you wanted Gpedit Settings for Single user not for Administrator to use group policy editor in future If you re at all leery you posted this thread so I Gpedit Settings for Single user not for Administrator d guess that you are you might consider setting a restore point and backing up your data and registry before you do this Click to expand Hello Mr The Hound I have a problem in Windows Xp Pro Sp I want to know about gpedit msc settings If anyone already discussed on this topic then please send me its link please Gpedit Settings for Single user not for Administrator well I am having problem related to the security settings suppose If I am hiding the drives it also hides the drives in Admin account also I only want to hide the drives for the single user I have tried lot to find it but did not get the solution So If you have time then please solve my problem I am also uploading the screen shoot of the gpedit settings Thanks Pal nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Have just migrated sic quot down graded ? + PC + user need Users Single Owner why do I Admin quot from XP to Win I am on Win training wheels Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ? and I still fall of As a single user PC the new quot Administrator quot quot Owner quot etc is driving me insane In the process Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ? of trying to get a grasp on Win and its foibles I am getting more frstrated with Win My four other WinXp PRO machines are just a dream to use Thay are all standalone PCs -- stable and they let me quot in quot My Toshiba laptop came with Win Home preloaded Is there such a thing as a single user install If so would I have to buy a Win Disc I am seriously thinking of buying a full retail version of Win so that when if my XP machines fall over I wont have the agony of Win because hopefully I will be familiar with Win tweaks As a Autocad programmer I mostly work in VBA and scripts I think I am developing a crush on Linux and we haven't even met I would appreciate any informative help

A:Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ?

I can appreciate your frustration, Russell. The learning curve from XP to 7 can be kinda steep. One of the issues many people first have is the increased security offered by Windows 7. As you said in your post about your XP machines, "They are all standalone PCs -- stable and they let me "in"." That was one of XP's major problems ... lots of malware was able to get in as well as the authorized user(s).

When a new 7 computer is first set up, the initial account created is an administrator account so you can make required changes to the computer (like choosing language of choice, setting computer time zone, etc.) So there always has to be at least one administrator account on a 7 machine.

But to add to the confusion, this is an "unelevated" administrator account. In other words, there are some tasks (such as running a system file checker scan [sfc /scannow] from a command prompt), that cannot be done without jumping through one more hoop. If you open a command prompt in 7 (either by typing cmd in the start menu search box or using the long way start > all programs > accessories > command prompt) you have to right-click the command prompt icon and select "Run as administrator". It's just another security feature to make it more difficult for malware to get in.

A lot of people who are the only ones using the computer leave things as is ... running with that administrator account. Nothing wrong with that if you're careful and know what sites you're visiting, what email attachments you're opening, etc. But for an extra degree of security many people operate as a standard user just because it does make it more difficult for malware to get in. This tutorial goes into more detail about the various account types.

User Account Type - Change

As far as obtaining a Windows 7 installation disk, you could check out Step 4 in this tutorial (doing a repair install of Windows 7.)

Repair Install

You could download the ISO file for your version of Windows 7, save it to desktop, then burn it to a DVD. If you ever did a repair install or a clean install, just use the Product Key on your Toshiba laptop to re-activate with Microsoft. Hope some of this helps and doesn't make things even more confusing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/271549-single-user-pc-why-do-i-need-admin-owner-users.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Can I simplify first time setup as follows: since I am the only user, can I set up a single user account with administrative privileges and no password, given I have no microsoft account just local? If I do not need a password, how do I set it up without one? If I do that, will it complicate being the administrator? Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I will be using Windows 8, Home edition

A:Setup-single user account with no password?

Hello JoGirl, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Yes. You would just need to set it up using a "Local" account instead of a "Microsoft" account. Only with a local account can you leave the password fields blank to not have one.

The only issue with it being an administrator account without a password protection would be a security issue of everyone being able to use the account since there is no password they must type before being allowed to.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/15263-setup-single-user-account-no-password.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Running Vista Home . . . while searching how to restrict hard drive read/write access for a specific user, I encountered this, which looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Just one problem, though - when stepping through Option 1 - Vista Home doesn't appear to have a Group Policy Editor.

Since it appears this is a precondition for a single-user restriction, I'm stuck for the moment - what are my options?

Thanks -

A:How to restrict drive access to single user?

I have this table for Windows 8.
Group Policy Search

You could search to see if the Vista setting is there.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/302000-how-restrict-drive-access-single-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi I'm going to have to do a bit of explaining Limiting user to single a directory. access on this one I have a new Samsung AIO PC running Windows home not pro It's purpose in life is to be mounted on a wall to display a full screen picture slide show The pictures are all currently stored in Limiting user access to a single directory. quot Public Desktop Pictures quot I need to limit the user account to only be able to access this folder and to not be allowed to execute any programs other than the slide show app The goal here is for this computer to display honeymoon pictures for guests at a hotel resort in Limiting user access to a single directory. my area We don't want passers-by to be able to use the machine for anything other than to view these photos I realize that some of this would probably be easier with Windows Pro gpedit but I'm hoping there is a way to do this with what I have here Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Limiting user access to a single directory.

The best I could find were commercial programs which are not free.

Couldn't you just hide the mouse & keyboard & let the show run. ?

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/29865-limiting-user-access-single-directory.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi all!!!

I had a system with 4 users (2 admins, 2 users) and 2 network adapters (1 wired adapter and 1 wifi adapter).

What I want to do is to disable 1 network adapter for each 2 users.
A better explanation:
- Users 1 and 2 should only have access to the wired adapter (Them are admins)
- Users 3 and 4 should only have access to the wifi adapter (Them are users)

I also want that users of both groups can be logged at the same time without gaining access to the other adapter.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/45645-how-disable-network-adapter-use-single-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I am having trouble with one of my users profiles. When they log on to their machine, the group policy will not update. When the user is in the department OU in active directory there should be restrictions on what they can change in IE etc and when I put them in a temp OU it should remove all group policy restrictions so that admin can make changes. This works for all except this one user. When I move them to the temp OU it still has all the restrictions in place. I have tried forcing gpupdate to no avail. Is there anything else I need to look at. It is only happening with a single user.

Cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/group-policy-not-updating-on-single-user.928068/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, i was wondering if there is a way to have the automatic updates to prompt only one user account for download and install.

I have the updates set for download only, and im looking for a way to make it so only I can install them and avoid all other users including those that have admin right from installing.

Some computers need the employee to be an admin, but i dont want them to see or be able to install updates. I just want my admin account to be able to do so.

I found the non-administrator notification setting and the shutdown notification option in gpedit.misc which will work for those workstations with no other admin. But was hoping i could configure my options a bit more and be selective by user.

Any ideas, thanks for reading

A:Automatic updates - configure single user use only?

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/automatic-updates-configure-single-user-use-only.578174/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello New to the forums here Did some searching and couldn't figure out my issue so I figured I'd start a new post I am having an issue where my bandwidth seems very limited on only one user account I normally can get - Mb s down - Mb s up which is what issues user account bandwidth Down/Up for single I am paying for Recently I have been getting lt Mb s down - Mb s up I Down/Up bandwidth issues for single user account am running a wireless network all other devices run at good speeds Things that I've done to trouble shoot -Reset wireless router -Comcast refresh signal -Ran Microsoft Security Essentials full scan found a problem with Java fixed it I think Re-ran scan after cleaned comes up normal -Created Test user with Admin privileges when testing via speedtest net I get normal performance with new user Mb s down -CC cleaner -Turned off Windows firewall no change -Boot into safemode brings back good performance to main user account -Very few Processes running in task manager all seem to check out as normal -Drivers are all updated Any thoughts Occasionally it will jump up to normal for a short time but will return to slow speeds eventually If it helps this is what I am using Windows i EVGA ti Boost GB Ram TP-Link PCI wireless card Thanks for any help

A:Down/Up bandwidth issues for single user account

How far are you from the access point when you're using that account? Also have you checked UAC settings? That might have something to do with it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493920/downup-bandwidth-issues-for-single-user-account/
Relevancy 51.6%

First let me provide a little background The computer I am using was previously a university laptop and Profile of User Changing the Single a Folder because of that it remained a member of the university domain long after Changing the Profile Folder of a Single User I left the school and the physical network Last night I decided to separate my machine from the domain by changing it to a Workgroup instead After doing this which required I clear the administrator account password from the machine my primary user ntaylor which was imported from the domain was removed from the list of available users on the machine and I became unable to log into it because it did not represent a valid local profile I have since created another ntaylor and Vista created a profile folder for it called ntaylor V under C Users If at all possible I would like to remap the profile directory C Users ntaylor V to C Users ntaylor so that I may resume using my account with all of my settings I haven t reformatted in almost a year so manually migrating my settings would force me to reconfigure a completely unreasonable number of applications I read this guide http joshmouch wordpress com change-user-profile-folder-location-in-vista and it is kind of the right idea except for the fact that I am not moving any directories and I am only remapping registry data for a single user I m thinking if I just do a find and replace C Users ntaylor v with C Users ntaylor in the registry I might maybe be okay but I can also see this going horribly wrong I m not too sure The ntaylor V account has no settings or data I need to maintain so protecting that data is irrelevant I just need it to load from a different directory Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

I used to have just one login popup at login time, and all I had to do was enter the password. This was for a user account with administrator privileges. I somehow (forgot how) managed to add Administrator account to the login screen, so now I have to click on the user account I want before typing in the password. Now I want to change this back to the single-user login, because I don't use the administrator account often enough to be bothered with it; however, I still want to be able to use it if necessary. Is there some simple way to switch back and forth between these two modes? I have gone over the control panel options with a fine-toothed comb, but can't find anything, and I really don't want to get into regedit if I can avoid it.

A:want to change back to single user login

Hello ejdpop,

If you mean that you enabled the build-in "Administrator" account, then you could just disable it to not see it anymore.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/373599-want-change-back-single-user-login.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I am the only person that uses my pc. If I remove my master password from firefox should there be any worry about someone getting my passwords. Or is a master password only needed when multiple people use the same physical pc?

A:[SOLVED] Do you need a master password for single pc user?

Even if you are the only user on your PC, it might be advised to use the Master Password feature for the best security. You can find info about using Master Password at the Mozilla Help Site

Generally, you want your passwords to be as secure as possible, so it might not be a good idea to store them in Firefox at all, since it may be possible for others hacking into your computer to easily find them. As an alternative, I recommend KeePass, which has much more advanced security for storing your passwords, and is easy to make entries that will auto-enter your login info to sites. Check it out at their site

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/solved-do-you-need-a-master-password-for-single-pc-user-391812.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi guys Wow a lot has changed since single connection Blocking Internet for user I last logged in anyways I m needing a bit of help today Running Windows Ultimate bit fully licensed Gb DDR RAM AMD Sempron Ghz I have a media center setup in my living room that I use as a Home Theater I also use it from time to time for general Blocking Internet connection for single user PC usage etc I have two user profiles PC - for normal PC stuff and Media Center - which runs WMC for movies music etc What I m wanting to do is stop all network connections on the Media Center user profile but keep access on the PC profile The reason for this is on the Media Center profile I want to be able to run as little as possible eg no Comodo Avira Antivirus etc so that I have as nothing running that i don t need for playing movies if you get me basically cutting out all the c p Just blocking access to programs is not enough as I don t want to not have firewall anti virus running if there s still a chance that someone something can access through the internet connection Unplugging cables is not an option as built into a media cupboard under the stairs Disabling and Enabling LAN connection is a pain and there must be a workaround for what I want I have searched but have been unable to find the answer anywhere so far Any insight is greatly appreciated E-Mu

A:Blocking Internet connection for single user

After a few quick searches, I found a program that sounds like it'll do what you're looking to do:
http://www.devicelock.com/dl/faq.html#9

If I'm reading your post correctly, this sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.
Source - http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1581821.php

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/365386/blocking-internet-connection-for-single-user/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello,
I am using an online trading software that requires a username and a password. I want to run this software as two independent applications running simultaneously and independently (similar to the feature "enable multiple profiles for this app" offered by the titanium backup app in android.). The reason behind this is that I have 2 accounts and for some purpose I want to acess them together without having to log out of first and logging into the other.

A:How to run a single software as two different applications

Hello and welcome shikhar623!
How do you launch the aplications? With a shortcut? Steam?

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/58002-how-run-single-software-two-different-applications.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi

Is it possible to have a Vista media centre PC with multiple users?

For example is it possible to have the media centre set-up in your front room and have a monitor / keyboard in a separate room and have multiple users e.g. someone watching the media centre in front room while someone working in a study with a remoate monitor / keyboard - all from the same media centre box?

I have looked at some of the linksys / falcon etc... wireless media extenders but they only seem to extend movies / pictures / TV to another room and not the functionality of the PC through use of keyboard / monitor.

Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/software/195471-multiple-user-access-single-media-centre.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Basics Windows Server with a domain behind Cisco router firewall Primary Domain Controller and Secondary Domain Controller both Win k workstations Active Directory setup with roaming profiles No proxy on machines. connect user internet to Single on multiple can't IE8 server Affected Workstation Windows XP SP with IE Rebuilt TCP IP stacks and Winsock on workstation Removed and reinstalled IE Listed internal and external DNS Resolvers in DNS tab Can ping external IPs from command prompt Problem I have a single user that can not log onto the Internet with Single user can't connect to internet on IE8 on multiple machines. IE No one else is having any issues In the information bar at the bottom left when attempting to open Google or anything else it gives the quot DNS Error html quot warning then displays quot Website can not be opened quot Single user can't connect to internet on IE8 on multiple machines. I can log this user off of the workstation log on as admin or anyone else and internet connectivity is no issue If he logs onto a different computer that has no problems he has the same issue of no connectivity This would indicate that it is somewhere in his personal settings How would I diagnos this or make changes in these settings so he can get on the internet Or do I need to look somewhere else

A:Single user can't connect to internet on IE8 on multiple machines.

Hello and Welcome to TSF!

See if resetting the Hosts File helps.

Also, please verify if you have any Proxy settings, if you do then remove it by following this guide.

An update will be appreciated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/single-user-cant-connect-to-internet-on-ie8-on-multiple-machines-485203.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello So I have just been setting from permissions comp single a different a to I Can user grant shared up my new rig and for several reasons I was wanting to allow my desktop complete access to my laptop However I live in a very friendly household Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp and my computer is in the main area I allow other people to use the guest account on it all the time but keep my own account with a password We also have many other computers on Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp the same homegroup I was wanting to allow just my account on my desktop complete access to some or prefferably all files on my laptop I Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp tried going Local Disk C Properties gt gt Sharing tab gt gt Advanced Sharing button gt gt 'Share this folder' checkbox gt gt Permissions button gt gt Add button However when i had entered this I could not get my laptop to access any other locations that itself It was there that I got stuck Is it possible to do what I am trying to do Cheers David

A:Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp

Hello DGEccles,
Welcome to SevenForums. What you are trying to do is possible. What you have to do is pick a folder (or directory) that you want to share. In your case, this would be the C:\ drive. However, sharing your C:\ drive across the network, is very risky for many reasons. So I would not recommend this. So, lets get started. First, on your laptop, what you need to do is pick a folder you want to share. This can be your documents folder, another folder, or the C:\ drive. Next, right click the folder you want to share and click PROPERTIES. Next, navigate to the sharing tab and click on advanced sharing. Check the box that says "Share this folder". Next, click on permissions and MAKE SURE THAT YOUR ACCOUNT ON THE LAPTOP HAS FULL PERMISSION. After this, you want to click Apply and close out of all dialog boxes. Now, we move to your desktop. On your desktop, open up Windows Explorer. Navigate to Network on the left-hand side. After that click on your laptop's icon. After that a window will open asking you for credentials. INPUT THE CREDENTIALS THAT YOU SET TO HAVE FULL PERMISSION ON THE LAPTOP. After that you should see all the shared folders on the laptop including the one that you set up.

I hope this helps. (Sorry if this isn't clear I typed this fast so if you need me to re-explain it I will)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/235249-can-i-grant-shared-permissions-single-user-different-comp.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I had to reinstall W7 Pro X64 on my home PC to cure problems with sleep/hibernation.

After reinstalling, I found a single user account had been created named "DELL".

All my previous software (now stored in Windows.Old) referred to user name "Brian". So I changed the name of the DELL account to "Brian". But I then found that although the user folders are sometimes shown as "Brian", at others they are shown as "DELL".

How do I make the change of account name effective for all the relevant user folders? There is no facility to rename C:\Users\DELL; is there some other way?

A:After reinstalling Windows 7, problem with changing (single) user name

Quote: Originally Posted by hershmab

I had to reinstall W7 Pro X64 on my home PC to cure problems with sleep/hibernation.

After reinstalling, I found a single user account had been created named "DELL".

All my previous software (now stored in Windows.Old) referred to user name "Brian". So I changed the name of the DELL account to "Brian". But I then found that although the user folders are sometimes shown as "Brian", at others they are shown as "DELL".

How do I make the change of account name effective for all the relevant user folders? There is no facility to rename C:\Users\DELL; is there some other way?

Welcome Hershmab to the windows 7 forums.

The best advice I can give you is to create a userid for Brian making sure that it has the same security level as you used to have. Then log off dell and log on to brian and copy all the files to your new userid and then you can remove the Dell userid after your satisfied that everything is there.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/188460-after-reinstalling-windows-7-problem-changing-single-user-name.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi,
We have installed a SmartMusic program for my son's Trumpet practice.

However, it runs on his user login, only if I grant him admin rights.

I do not want to grant him admin rights to the laptop, but cannot find any way to grant just that particular program to run as admin on his login...

Can someone help? Its a Vista Home version of Windows...

A:Admin rights for a single program to standard user

Welcome
You can give this a try and hope. The run as adminstrtor feature was put there by the software and not Vista.
You can turn off the UAC
User Account Control (UAC)

Then right click on the software, probably properties, then advanced (or compatibility tab). In Compatibility or advanced tab. check run as administrator
Let me know how that works.

When you right click on the software, type in the software name in the search function by stat button, and then right click when it pops up. Do not click on any shortucuts.

For smart music rather than advanced, it might be under compatiblity tab.

If you do disable UAC, all Administrator users must exercise caution. The UAC is a warning that changes will be made to the system and not just to user account

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287111-admin-rights-single-program-standard-user.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey all,

I'm in the same boat as CIS was when he posted this thread:

Help with Group Policy?

I've googled and googled and read so much my head is about to explode but still haven't found what I'm looking for.

My end-goal is to change the shell for just a single user account. I poked around the registry for quite a bit after looking at some dated information on how to do it in there but couldn't find an equivilent key in Windows 7 (I believe the information was for XP). Then I discovered it can be done in the Group Policy Editor under User Configuration -> Admin Templates -> Sytem under "Custom User Interface", but this will change it for everyone it appears. My searching eventually led me here, so I decided to stop, and post for help

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

Rob

A:Help with Group Policy/shell change for a single user?

New ou... put that computer account in that ou and create a new GPO for that OU. done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/70246-help-group-policy-shell-change-single-user.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a single domain user that cannot access any Google websites on one computer in Internet Explorer 8. Other users logged into the same computer can access any Google sites but he cannot. But, he can go onto another computer and log in and reach the Google sites. It appears to be a local profile issue on that single computer. Any suggestions on what the cause may be. Thanks!!

A:[SOLVED] Single User Cannot Access Google Sites in IE8

You'd have to create a new user account to create a new IE profile. If you allow other browsers and this person can access Google, would that suffice?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/solved-single-user-cannot-access-google-sites-in-ie8-685047.html
Relevancy 50.31%

ok, heres the setup:
Windows 7 64 bit ultimate.
I have a drive that I am sharing called M drive
I have ONE user, named user1 with a password of ab

Is it possible to say map the M drive on another computer using the user1 and ab password while at the same time accessing that same mapped share on another computer (example playing a movie through that share). at the same time?
See I have a Western Digital media player and while I was coping a movie TO the shared folder, the WD dropped seeing the shared computer all together. As soon as the transfer finished, the shared computer was visible again. I am trying to narrow down the problem and i suspect the WD tv player to be the problem............. any thoughts? do i need to provide more info? thanks in advance.

Relevancy 50.31%

Is it possible to install iTunes on a PC running XP-Home so that all of the Apple services only run on startup of one particular user?

We just got a new Acer notebook PC for the family and our daughter will be using it most of the time. We each have our own Windows login. Our daughter will be getting a new iPod for Christmas and I suspect we will need to install iTunes on the new computer in order for her to use all of the features of the iPod. When I use the notebook, I would rather have most of the CPU cycles doing what I want, not what Apple wants.

Relevancy 50.31%

I have a spanish version of windows I am trying to share folders and files between two terminals I think I have a good configuration but I am receiving all desktop - local single no Network pc - user laptop - passw the time this message Windows Network local pc desktop - laptop - single user - no passw no puede tener acceso a Windows can't have access to Es posible que el nombre de la ubicaci n no est bien escrito o que exista un problema con la red Para intentar identificar y resolver problemas de red haga clic en Diagnosticar Is possible that location name is not well written or exist a problem with the network Try to identify and solve network problems do click in Diagnose now C digo de error x No se ha encontrado la ruta de acceso a la red Error code x Network path not found After diagnose El solucionador de problemas no pudo corregir autom ticamente todos los problemas encontrados Se ofrecen m s detalles a continuaci n Problemas Network local pc desktop - laptop - single user - no passw encontrados El equipo est configurado correctamente pero el dispositivo o recurso no responde the problems solver can't correct automatically all the problems found More details now Found problems The device is right configurated but the device don't answer Note the laptop was with the tap closed I repeated the experience Winos no puede obtener acceso a o No tiene permiso para obtener acceso a o P ngase en contacto con el administrador de la red para solicitar acceso Para obtener m s informaci n sobre los permisos consulte ayuda y soporte t cnico de Windows Windows can't access to o You are not allowed to access Contact with the network administrator to ask for access To obtain more information about allowances consult the windows help and support Conditions of my network I am the only user JOSE don't use password I have activated the option in shared and networks center deactivate the shared use with password protection I have configured the shared folders with administrative privileges for all and for me with total control I am trying to obtain a network without password at all At the present moment I am in despair because I think I have tried everything additionally i try start-execute-netplwiz and deactivate the option the users must write name and password to use the equipment How can I debug this problem Windows help seems not enough When I send a ping to all packages are well sent and received Best Regards https drive google com file d B B ew usp sharing

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/75981-network-local-pc-desktop-laptop-single-user-no-passw.html
Relevancy 49.88%

As a single home user, in setting up Windows 10 I was not aware there is a hidden administrator who controls changes to the system.  I discovered this when I went to  open the check disk function.  I have spent hours trying different prescribed
methods found online online for ogetting access to the elevated command prompt - but all end saying I don't have the priviledge.  In another approach, my computer tells me I do not have access to luscr.msc and to instead go to account change.  Here's
the kicker.  Once there, I am not allowed to change from "standard" to "administrator"  - this is a Catch 22 since I am the only registered user of the system.  HELP - I'm not techie, but I'm also not a complete dummy. 
MAB

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a59b9306-8f2f-4554-bfbe-ebdd3c8e5c23/single-windows-10-user-for-touch-computer-without-elevated-command-prompt?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 49.88%
Relevancy 49.88%

In the middle of a browser session AVG came up and said it needed to quarantine a file Not sure if that was the exact wording I chose to quarantine because it said it can be dealt with later It proceeded to quot do things quot and one that I remember as being funny was it in menu start single programs files, user Shortcuts under .exe and not found edited the registry but it happened so fast that I didn t catch all of the details Once that was done Firefox closed the AVG icon on the bottom right of the screen went .exe files, Shortcuts and start menu programs not found in under single user away and I can t open any exe files or shortcuts If I click on a program it asks which program I would like to open the file with If I choose Firefox Firefox does open and I can browse normally I ve tried looking for AVG everywhere under that user account but it s not there anymore If I right click on my computer and choose properites it says quot C WINDOWS system rundll exe - application not found quot Now if I go to another user account everything is normal AVG is functioning perfectly with the icon in the bottom right next to the time I ran an AVG whole computer scan under another user account and no threats were found Running Windows XP SP Thanks in advance for any help or a point in the right direction Flea

A:.exe files, Shortcuts and start menu programs not found in under single user

Possibly damaged profile? That would be my first guess.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811151

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/397727/exe-files-shortcuts-and-start-menu-programs-not-found-in-under-single-user/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi All,

I hope I could find some assistance here.
We are running an exchange 2003 server, with windows 7 machines (not ideal I know).

That aside, I am getting a scripting error when opening emails from a single user. This error ONLY appears on one users computer.
So to clarify, this issue only pops up on one users computer, and only occurs when opening an email (even in preview) from another single user.

I have so far:
- Run a repair of office 2010 on the computer that displays the scripting error.
- Removed email signature from the senders computer, in case of problematic fonts (Even though to other users on the domain, this error does not occur when opening emails from this same sender.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and would be more than happy to provide more details as needed.

Thanks in advance all!!
Chris

A:W7-Outlook 2010 - Scripting Error when opening emails from single user

Anyone?

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/191082-w7-outlook-2010-scripting-error-when-opening-emails-single-user.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I bought this webcam CIF single chip from Dubai a few months ago. I have lost the driver disk and instructions. I don't know the make although it say on the back HITECK.

Could someone help me for the drivers and software for this webcam.

Thanks in advance.

V.

A:Driver/Software for CIF single chip webcam

You said you got it from Dubai. Is that an online retailer or something?
hoping to help
kitty500cat

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/driver-software-for-cif-single-chip-webcam.56435/
Relevancy 49.88%

I need some help urgently ive tried CCleaner to remove these error reports that im getting from nearly everysingle program i have.. and i cannot do anything about it.. be cause ive tried everything...i cannot send my computer to fix because my dad doesnt know that ive done this HELP please!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/errors-in-nearly-every-single-program-game-software-help.854332/
Relevancy 48.16%

Single Software to modify all system icons Start orb Logon screen First of all I got the information from our new member Pepito of this software I orb, Logon Single screen Start Software system all modify to icons, was finding developer for past few months to develop some software like this here and in other places unfortunately the right combination didnt took place This software is Single Software to modify all system icons, Start orb, Logon screen something very close to my dreamed software I had plan to add more options though unfortunately its only available in French Language So my tutorial writing mind thought to write a small guide to help other users to use it effectively If you have this killer software there is no need to use separate programs for changing logon Screen logon button Start orb and all icons including system icons disk icons program association icons etc So first you need to download right Click here to download the installer file another page will open and the download prompt will come Download here Direct download After you have completed installation by guessing left key is OK and right should be Cancel run the program as Admin You will get a prompt on every run to make a restore point Click Oui to make a restore point or Non to dismiss it and proceed this window will come This the main interface of the program You can see three options quot My Logon quot quot My Orb quot and quot My Icon quot I am going to detail one by one Note Closing any window after clicking any of the three will not close the main program interface My Logon On clicking the option this window will come The preview will show your current logon screen You can change it by clicking quot Modifier quot option and selecting custom logon screen from your hard disk Clicking quot Restaurer quot will revert back to default Above it you can see a dropdown menu saying -par Defaut click it This option will help you to select the behavior of the arrow button beside the password field is default is more transparent is opaque My Orb If you select this option in main program interface this windows will come Very easy interface clicking Remplacer l'Orb will help to change the start orb Restaurer l'Orb will restore to default You can see the animated preview on the small box on the right side of the text quot Plus d'Orb quot above the menus Clicking on quot Remplacer l'Orb quot Change the Orb will lead you to settings of Orb to choose and apply the orb The link quot Plus d'Orb More Orb will lead you to Orb's DeviantArt page My Icon This is the most vast section Almost all the icons including system icons disk icons program association icons etc can be changed from here The interface looks like this Lots of things here Above Where I have drawn a green rectangular boundary there are types of icons My computer Desktop Control panel Explorer icons yes program associations etc I have taken the sceenshot when the first option was selected Where I have drawn a red square boundary with a red arrow outline Right pane Click to load an already downloaded pack and apply all the pack Click here to download about different ready packs Convert Ico to png Plus d'icones is a multi-link to plenty of icons Within this pane you will see the icon you've changed Left Pane A single click on an Icon will lead to options a Modify b Modify from a downloaded pack sometimes on applying a whole pack some icons won't change this option may force the change c Back to default d Apply change to an icon or a pack e Save all your changes in an Icons Pack very useful when you apply icon of your own choice i e you can make your personal pack If you can not understand any sentence in the GUI just use online translator of your choice to translate to English It has also an online help file you can translate the page to use more effectively Hope you enjoy the software Thanks to Pepito for helping to add more textual explanation

A:Single Software to modify all system icons, Start orb, Logon screen

Thanks for sharing mate. Will download and try later.
cheers

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/111260-single-software-modify-all-system-icons-start-orb-logon-screen.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Everytime i try to install a program or even updates i m told that the exe file is corrupt or that there is an invalid signature What is goin on Ok example quot The contents of this file cannot be unpacked The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted Please obtain another copy of the file verify its intergrity and try again quot Another quot Antivirus Update Progress ERROR Error invalid update signature But usually it s quot This file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher You should only run software from publishers you trust quot Then i click run and get quot The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete This could be the result of a damaged a install does Help!!!!!!! Why allow not THING!!!! me single to xp disk failed download or a virus quot I m further told quot It may be possible to skip this check using the NCRC command line switch quot Which st i don t know what it is so don t trust my own computer skills enough without advice and nd I don t want Help!!!!!!! Why does xp not allow me to install a single THING!!!! to have to do this every time i install something nbsp

A:Help!!!!!!! Why does xp not allow me to install a single THING!!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-why-does-xp-not-allow-me-to-install-a-single-thing.651021/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hya we we're fixing some XP??? 2 install/partition, Single issues on a Dell out of warranty yet the Optical drive decided to uninstall Single install/partition, 2 XP??? on it's own accord and the driver is nowhere to be found aside of some Single install/partition, 2 XP??? other issues with drivers that got mixed due to a bad printer installation So anyways and since the pc didn't have anything to worry about we opted to reinstall clean install new partition originally it came with but after the reinstall and as soon as the pc boots we have to choose form Windows Xp installations So I checked the drive the folders looks only partition and installation of Win besides I tried the second install to see what could happen and I got an error but the first installation works perfect no problems with drivers even the optical drive Single install/partition, 2 XP??? is working fine now It's a minor thing yet is annoying to wait secs or press Enter at boot or reboot like when installing stuff that requieres reboot so the installation of Win will boot Thanks for your help Fen

A:Single install/partition, 2 XP???

Try going to Start, Run, type "msconfig" (without the "). Select the Boot.ini tab and click on the button that says "Check all boot paths." If there is just one installation, that will clear the thing up.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/single-install-partition-2-xp-99586.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Would this chip be standard on an HP Pavilion a350, or would this be an added but unwanted bonus?? These are used in web and spycams (pinhole) aren't they? I also was wondering if this two year old PC has any wireless factory hardware...

I know it shouldn't, and the config shows no wifi gear....might be getting false readings from a wifi intrusion detector....seems it may be coming from the network cable..same 10 or 15 personal addresses every time...tracerouted them, and IQsniffed around...must be back reading through the network..

Reinstalled the router, and that cut the supposed intrusions down to one, the router...duh.

Would like to know if that vid chip should be on this HP piece o crud.

thanks.

A:CIF single chip trying to install?????

What is the name of the firewall you are using?

ALso I would like to see what and how many infections your system has please run the HijackThis as in the following:

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
Save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window under Internet & Networking in Security for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit Edit then Paste
You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply and copy and paste the link in the address bar back to the original thread you were in.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cif-single-chip-trying-to-install.489319/
Relevancy 47.3%

I want to set up Qosimo G20 new with Windows XP 32.
I bought a new harddisk and put it into slot 1. I would like to run it without any RAID (so slot 2 is empty)

XP installation CD did not discover the HD
I entered BIOS to see if the HD was there - The HD is recognized normal
then I thought I have to change RAID to JBOD (page 3 BIOS) but this did not work
I confirmed it with the 1234 key - but nothing hapened.

In another task they said to install RAID-drivers (pressing F6... while starting XP installation)
I put the drivers on a USB-stick - but the system will not discover it (and there is no floppy drive)

I have no idea how to install XP on this Laptop.
Any hints?

Chris

A:Qosmio G20 - How to install with one single HDD and without RAID?

Can you obtain external FDD (floppy disc drive) and load RAID drivers using this disc that must be connected using USB port?

Such FDD you can buy on eBay for few euro.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?64766-Qosmio-G20-How-to-install-with-one-single-HDD-and-without-RAID
Relevancy 47.3%

my laptop works without problem for more the three years now but recently my laptop have encountered with window activation problem stating KMS not found in your computer. so i would be grateful if anybody can help me to resolve this problem

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2e49748f-1c27-4f05-8046-93406d9bdef7/how-to-reinstall-kms-for-window-8-single-language?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 47.3%

When I finished up my custom install of W7 on Sunday I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I didn't have to install a single driver and all of my devices/peripherals worked just fine, including my wireless mouse/keyboard, laser printer, router, everything worked as it should from the get go! I did install and update the appropriate drivers/software for my devices but it was cool to know that hey were all recognized and functional without doing so. Easiest, most pain free installation of a windows os I've ever done!

A:Didn't have to install a single driver!

Ty for reporting. Most have had the same experience, as I did. The more people that report, the less apprehenison, by others, when they install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/106561-didnt-have-install-single-driver.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a big problem with a SATA Hdd in that it will not install winXp SP2.my MB is GA-K8VT800, Hdd is Seagate 80GB. This MB does not need an F6 driver install during WinXp install. It seems that all I need to do is change the SATA MODE from RAID to IDE in the BIOS. I have used the Seagate tool to format the Hdd?so why wont it work??
During install the process gets as far as ?setup is coping files' part, then it stops at ?driver.cab?. sometimes it goes a little further, but it will always stop and tell me that the file can not be copied, retry, skip or quit. I know its not the install disk because it worked on another ATA Hdd.
Can anyone help me out??
BTW this is not a RAID setup, just a single Hdd

A:Single SATA install problem

I don't think you are correct when you say you don't need an F6 driver install.

To install Windows 2000/XP onto a SATA hard drive on the VT8237 controller successfully, you need to install required driver for the SATA controller during OS installation. Without the driver, the hard drive may not be recognized during the Windows setup process.Click to expand...

This quote is from Gigabyte's website for the GA-K8VT800 motherboard manual.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-sata-install-problem.43475/
Relevancy 46.87%

I pre-formatted my boot drive so Windows 7 would install in a single partition and not create the hidden partition. When I boot, an OS selection screen appears listing two installs of Windows 7 when there is really only one. Some reading revealed that BCDEdit is the tool to fix this but when I try running it in an elevated command box I get:
The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The system cannot find the file specified.BCDEdit must be looking for its data in the non-existent hidden boot partition. While I could leave this as-is I'd like to know if there's a way to use BCDEdit with a single-partition W7 install.

Thank you.

A:Single-partition W7 install fouls up BCDEdit

Hello timmy2 Welcome to the Seven Forums!

That's an easy fix there to see if you have more then one entry in the 7 BCD store. There's two immediate options for this.

The first is opening up the boot tab found in the System Configuration Ultility also known as the msconfig utility as seen with the image attached below. The second is a free download with a gui that allows you to rename boot entries as well as set the default OS when having a planned dual boot or in your situation deletion of any unintentional additional entry on the singe OS system called BellaVista

If you were already working with a dual boot the other option not needed would be the use of the free program EasyBCD which can add as well as remove entries. That's a second BCD editing program available for custom set ups found at Download EasyBCD 2.0.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

The msconfig boot tab can be used easy enough for checking up on this. The other two are gui methods availabel for editing the BCD store with BellaVista originally having been named BCD Editor when first available for Vista.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/118862-single-partition-w7-install-fouls-up-bcdedit.html
Relevancy 46.44%

First of all I have been single Vista dual problem or Xp boot please install help big searching for about a week with no luck and hours and hours of reinstalling configuring etc I had amp Xp dual boot on a mhz g ram that was working fine on a single gb PATA drive with partitions That I used to use Ghost restores if needed I wanted to put in Vista on it also so I installed it from Xp used the custom installation and installed it to a third partition I created Vista would not Vista Xp dual boot or single install big problem please help boot after the first reboot during the installation process I could still get Vista Xp dual boot or single install big problem please help into amp xp To make a long storry as short as possible currently I only have xp amp Vista but same thing Vista Xp dual boot or single install big problem please help Vista will not boot after the first reboot of the install process I reformated about times already still nothing even time full department of defense erase hours to complete What confuses me is if I do a fresh install of XP from a fresh format XP will not boot it says it is missing NTLDR is missing If I am correct from reading from the Web it has to do with something when Win was in or from cloned restored hard drive The only way I got XP installed again was I had to put Win again then I had to use the upgrade install option because the custom option would do the same thing not boot up Then I tried a fresh Vista install with a fresh format and it will not boot I don t remember but I think it is the same error I am getting now with the dual boot system quot windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change might be the cause Then it shows windows system winload exe To fix the problemut the Vista disk in select repair computer etc Fix boot problems etc Did that done that times already and nothing There is something very messed up on this hard drive that it will not let me put XP or Vista together or even a single install anymore I tried VistaBootPro no luck I am pretty good at computers I have installed Win xp vista dozens to times on different computers etc never been that great with boot ini but always got it figured out with a little time but now Vista and the bcdedit I am lost again Any ideas on what is going on How do I wipe the hard drive where I do not get any errors from a fresh XP or Vista Install I did use the Seagate Diagnostic cd it showed no errors When you reformat a hard drive is the mbr still there or what else is there that is messing up the installs that I need to get rid of and how Sorry for the Novel Michael nbsp

A:Vista Xp dual boot or single install big problem please help

http://www.multibooters.co.uk/
Scroll down to see The Changes Vista Dualboot Makes to a Previous Windows OS &#8211; and How to Reverse Them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-xp-dual-boot-or-single-install-big-problem-please-help.565201/
Relevancy 46.44%

Finally have my install? multi-lang DVD I single Can a update language to use laptop back to where it was with which was online updated from Pro x I obtained a multi-language iso of and attempted to use it to do the update but got a clean install which I had to manually undo by moving everything from Windows old to replace the new stuff Booted Can I use a multi-lang DVD to update single language install? off a Can I use a multi-lang DVD to update single language install? special Win DVD add BAK to the new move the old reboot It works It also doesn't allow the BAK files and folders to be deleted reboot from the DVD just to delete them all So now is there a way to make the multi-language ISO UPDATE my install and leave all my files and apps where they are If there isn't is there a way to download just the update installer onto a different PC put it on a USB or disc then install it Or how about an ISO that will update preferably a real direct link or torrent because I only have a meg DSL link Due to 's networking bugginess I can't run the MCT on the laptop to download the latest Pro Home x single language US English ISO When I ran it on Windows a couple of days ago it got the ISO which did go through all the motions of quot updating quot but of course still left me with I'll need to check to see if it 'gifted' me with all the junk bloatware I'd removed

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/56196-can-i-use-multi-lang-dvd-update-single-language-install.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi all,

I am going to be retiring two RAID 1 HDD's and replacing them with a single SSD and I'm a bit fuzzy on the steps involved. I have all my data saved externally so I'll be doing a clean install of Windows 7 Pro x64. I have set it to non-RAID in the RAID menu but I'm not sure when I should change the BIOS to AHCI. Do I do that while I still have the HDD's plugged in or during the initial set-up of the SSD?

A:Changing from RAID to single drive, question about install

Unplug the HD's, plug in the SSD, boot up and tap the F2 to enter BIOS Setup. Reset BIOS to defaults, set SATA controller to AHCI, set SSD to boot first.

Then reboot tapping the F12 key to boot the latest official Win7 installer with SP1, follow the same steps as for a Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to get and keep a perfect install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/292178-changing-raid-single-drive-question-about-install.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hiya folks At work systems multiple Install drive single from USB operating we install a lot of different operating systems on computers both for use within the school and for staff members personal computers In order to make things easier we want to be able to create a USB pendrive that contains all of the operating systems we want to use and some form of menu to start the installation of each The problem is I ve not been able to find guides that explain how to do exactly what we want The operating systems that would be going on this are Windows XP Home OEM Windows XP Pro OEM Windows Vista Home Premium OEM -bit Windows Vista Business -bit Windows Vista Ultimate -bit Windows Vista Ultimate -bit Windows Home Premium -bit Windows Professional -bit Windows Professional -bit Windows Ultimate -bit Windows Ultimate -bit Ubuntu -bit Ubuntu -bit We have the CD DVDs for all of these but we don t like wasting consumables by writing multiple CDs and of course they get scratched easily and they fill up a lot of space when Install multiple operating systems from single USB drive they re in those CD wallet things Plus my experience with installing from USB drives has been quite positive and seemed to go much faster than installing from CDs and DVDs Now there are a lot there but we have drives big enough I know that I could use WAIK if I was only going to put Vista and but as far as I am aware I can t use that with XP and I wouldn t even think that there was a remote chance of installing Ubuntu that way Does anyone know of any way to do this or anyone who has done something similar in the past I know it s a little complex and I wouldn t be surprised if nobody had asked about something like this before but any Install multiple operating systems from single USB drive help is greatly appreciated Kind regards Joel Note I don t think this is the right section but I couldn t decide where to put it gt lt nbsp

A:Install multiple operating systems from single USB drive

You could use the Automated Installation Kit for Vista and W7 and the good old-fashioned unattended installation of XP across the network. Saves time, consumables and shoe leather.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/install-multiple-operating-systems-from-single-usb-drive.874754/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello and advanced thanks for any help Suddenly upon boot up today system has a long single beep and will not boot to OS The monitor is black and boot does has install beep after System single XP not & long I tried a floppy disk System does not boot & has long single beep after XP install and even cdrom I can not get into the bios or anything Its as if it went System does not boot & has long single beep after XP install DOA and the system has not been touched since last night s new OS install see below note of just installed OS Any ideas or advice all hardware is less than six month old P - ghz ram new ide hard drive power supply case and mb and ran fine until this sudden glitch Its almost like the old dos days of post beeps errors but I m unsure of what it means and how to approach next step In ref to last time system ran I had just completed new OS install of XP full install on top of Me that resulted in unwanted dual OS boot system last night But it ran fine when finished install And planned next to remove old OS and recover Me partition of fat to ntfs via reinstall of full xp home was next step but it appears now have this hardware issue glitch nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

I do really wanted to try Windows 8 then I realize there are no Office Applications Suitable.

I bought Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student for 3PCs.

My family used 2 already. So, can I install it for my Windows 8 Costumer Preview x64 and use the same lisence for Windows 7.

I've been thinking of this because I install Windows 8 CP on same HDD but different partition.

Will Microsoft count my activation in Windows 8 as one lisence? Or I will use the rest of the lisence if I install it on Windows 8?

Thank you, and sorry for my bad English.

A:Install Office'10 HomeStudent in 7 & 8: Counted as a single lisence?

My take is that you will need another license if you install it on the other partition.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/4700-install-office10-homestudent-7-8-counted-single-lisence.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey Gang,

Can anybody point me to the instructions about how to install XP Pro to a single Win98 hard drive - to make it dual boot, like Win 2k?

I've been looking all around the internet and the only thing I've found is an XP dual boot on a 2nd hard drive.

Does XP have that capability?

Thanks,
HULK

Relevancy 46.01%

Every time I power off computer it says I have updates to install The only update showing is a go updates on restore to computer install to powerdown Cannot point single and says every needs a it skype update I also get a random quot Help for Skype quot browser pop Cannot go to a restore point and computer says it needs to install updates on every single powerdown up screen at times When I have tried to go to a restore point it says it is unable to do that The restore point problem started before the power down problem I have had two warnings from Norton and Windows that there was a virus attack that was prevented in the recent past I am hoping to get some help to see if some malware is causing this issue DDS is attached DDS Cannot go to a restore point and computer says it needs to install updates on every single powerdown Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Rim at on - - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium GMT - AV Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live Cannot go to a restore point and computer says it needs to install updates on every single powerdown Anti-Virus Enabled Updated FF - D -CE B- ECB-E A A AV Norton AntiVirus Enabled Updated DF - - D- - DC EFD BF SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Norton AntiVirus Enabled Updated D BEB -B A- E - B -B B SP Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live Enabled Updated - EE-C E - B-DC BDD BAB Running Processes C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows Microsoft Net Framework v WPF PresentationFontCache exe C Windows system svchost exe -k rpcss C Windows system Ati evxx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k GPSvcGroup C Windows system SLsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system WLANExt exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Program Files x Belkin Router Setup and Monitor BelkinService exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Belkin Belkin USB Print and Storage Center BkBackupScheduler exe C Program Files Belkin Belkin USB Print and Storage Center Bkapcs exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Windows system svchost exe -k bthsvcs C Program Files x TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFProcSRVC exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exe C Program Files x Norton AntiVirus Engine ccSvcHst exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Program Files Common Files Intel WirelessCommon RegSrvc exe C Program Files Serviio bin ServiioService exe C Program Files Serviio bin ServiioService exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Service Station TMachInfo exe C Program Files x Toshiba TOSHIBA DVD PLAYER TNaviSrv exe C Windows system TODDSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TosCoSrv exe C Program Files x Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA SMARTLogService TosIPCSrv exe C Program Files x Common Files Ulead Systems DVD ULCDRSvr exe C Windows System svchost exe -k WerSvcGroup C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files x Yahoo SoftwareUpdate YahooAUService exe C Program Files x Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDWinSec exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files x Common Files Intuit Update Service IntuitUpdateService exe C Program Files x Common Files Intuit Update Service v IntuitUpdateService exe C Windows system svchost exe -k WindowsMobile C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Program Files TOSHIBA SmartFaceV SmartFaceVWatchSrv exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files x Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exe C Windows system wbem unsecapp exe C Win... Read more

A:Cannot go to a restore point and computer says it needs to install updates on every single powerdown

Greetings rmilunas and to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary. If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that. ===================================================Ground Rules:First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance. Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me about it.
When you post your reply, do not use the button but use the button instead.
In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.Now let's get started ===================================================Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.Thank you for your patience thus far. Please allow me some time to review the information you have provided. I will post back as soon as possible.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479814/cannot-go-to-a-restore-point-and-computer-says-it-needs-to-install-updates-on-every-single-powerdown/
Relevancy 45.15%

Vanilla Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop running Windows Vista. It has never had a login account or password protection, and is only used in single user mode.

Yesterday, start-ups fine, no password. Today, I'm presented with the user logon widow prompting me for a password, and cannot logon to Vista!

No-one has meddled with the laptop. Don't know if SP1 was automatically downloaded
and installed - whatever the factory defaults were from Dell. I've not seen any references to this kind of issue on Vista, but have heard about a similar thing with NT.

Any suggestions how this could have happened?

Yes - I know I can reset passwords using the NT Password Editor (http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/).

Relevancy 45.15%

I have a single excel sheel with one single column containing words with some special characters. I want to search for multiple words from that single column.

A:Search multiple words in a single column in a single excel s

A bit of clarification:Does each cell contain multiple words or just one word?After you find your target word/s what do you want done with them?And, in the future, Excel questions are best asked in the Office Software forum.MIKEhttp://www.skeptic.com/

http://www.computing.net/answers/office/search-multiple-words-in-a-single-column-in-a-single-excel-s/20478.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am writing about printing on an HP 1410 All-In-One. The problem is this.
I have a Word 2003 .doc. I then insert a jpg from a file. I locate it in the document where I want it and size it accordingly. For example: let's say the picture is 2" x 3" on the printed page. The document appears correctly in the program and in print preview.
However, when the page is printed, the jpg is printed twice, one over top of the other. Note: they are not superimposed. However, there are two images (2" x 1.5") and the perspective is "squashed."
Any suggestions if this is a Word 2003 problem, an OS problem (Windows 2000 Pro), or a printer problem?
Thanks for your help.

A:Single JPG Prints Multiple Times in Size for Single

I don't really understand what you mean. Maybe you could scan the print and attach it? The quickest way to tell if it's the printer or print driver would be to print something similar from a different program.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-jpg-prints-multiple-times-in-size-for-single.508704/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hey all,
I have some proprietary software that works great on a single-core processor. When I try to run it on a dual-core or above, the software loads, works once, and then messes up.

The software uses modems to dial out to our payphones. We found a work-around by turning off one processor in the bios, but then, what's the point of having a dual-core processor.

Please help. The software is doing this on Windows XP.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/software-crashes-on-dual-core-works-fine-on-single-core.836441/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello New to this forum and need your help I install Win off an SCCM server that is controlled by our corporate office in another country They do not want to tweak the SCCM to improve my workload or give us more control to modify script the SCCM to meet our needs I have the daunting task of configuring Win everyday with the same tweaks and or installation of software after can for software 7 Win loads Looking that after software tweak/install the SCCM has completed Looking to streamline this process as much as possible and have not been able to find anything even close to what I need or if it's even available Need the software to open programs and make tweaks setting changes within the programs Change settings in IE and explorer install programs from our server then install Some software needs a reboot then tweaked out I know I'm asking for alot but if I can find anything that might help me in anyway to speed up the configuration process for our Looking for software that can tweak/install software after Win 7 loads users it would be greatly appreciated

A:Looking for software that can tweak/install software after Win 7 loads

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

AutoIt can do what you want.

You can either automate the GUI (i.e. click/type where a human would) or just automate changes to the registry and files or use a combination of those two methods.

If you don't like the syntax of AutoIt, you can look at a fork named AutoHotKey. I've used both and I like AutoIt... but I cannot recommend AutoIt's somewhat rude support forum - YMMV.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/327360-looking-software-can-tweak-install-software-after-win-7-loads.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi,
I want to get an uninstaller program which can delete all the traces of another software from registry, history etc...so that when I install the program say fro 30 days trial version, when I uninstall the trial version software thru that software "X" and install it again, then I should get another 30 days trial period...I wouldn't mind even if the history of files accessed by that uninstalled program get lost during this cleaning up. What catches my imagination is that third party software should invoke the installer program of the program to be installed and will monitor all the changes done by the installed software...and when we try to uninstall that will revert back by doing all the changes made by the installed software...
Please suggest some good softwares for doing this job...Free-wares will be the best!
Thanks in advance,
pkdcet

Relevancy 43.43%

Very odd new problem I have a new WD MyCloud drive and the online link to the main software downloaded just fine but when I go to install the software I get the little Windows blue spinning icon for about - sec and then nothing I have tried to download several times and was finally able to install the software under SAFEMODE with NETWORKING - but in Safemode several networking connections that were needed for the setup of the cloud drive will not take place I came back and tried to install again after returning from SAFEMODE drive new install MyCloud not software) Can software (WD - but not luck again WD support says it's something on my machine that is blocking the install however I can install other software with no issue I'm wondering if this PORT related or a simple setting in my registry that needs to be corrected Of course Windows Support want annual support to simply reinstall windows Rip off I have Hijackthis LOG or other options that I can post Any help appreciated

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581954/can-not-install-new-software-wd-mycloud-drive-software/
Relevancy 43%

Got a used HP printer so tried to install Photosmart software from the internet When used either the downloaded version or directly from HP web site on execute run the program shows message quot Extracting quot then brings up window to install ATI parental controls software Tried installing the same software on different computer also running Windows XP SP and on a machine running Vista print HP install parental controls calls install ATI Photosmart software and install accomplished correctly Have tried scanning with Norton both desktop version and Norton Power Eraser run from the internet that is supposed to scan more completely and neither found any malware or rootkit problems There is an ATI video card on the computer but we have never installed any parental controls software for it and have no children in the house who need parental controls HP Photosmart print software install calls ATI parental controls install When the Norton internet scan ran it identified files associated with the NET framework as files that it couldn t identify as HP Photosmart print software install calls ATI parental controls install either good or bad Could that make the install program work incorrectly There don t seem to be any other problems with the computer nbsp

A:HP Photosmart print software install calls ATI parental controls install

Try a CUSTOM install. It should allow you to untick the controls.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-photosmart-print-software-install-calls-ati-parental-controls-install.1080820/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a situation in which i;m trying to install a single samsung sata on a machine that already has a single ata .
The board is an asus a7n8x e delux ,the prob is it doesn't recognize the sata dr. I've downloaded the latest sata drivers .disconnected the ata,set the scsi as 1st boot ,the sata junper on board are enabled ,done the 3rd party dance w xp . Xp gets to the point of getting ready to install windows but it cant find the dr and says i.m out of here in 15 secs.
Does anyone have a clue what I,ve missed or doing wrong or both .