Windows Support Forum

Restart leads to black screen before windows 7 splash screen

Q: Restart leads to black screen before windows 7 splash screen

I am not sure what's wrong, but I have uninstall nvidia drivers that gave me problems ie. 257.21, 196.21....etc. I am currently using 195.62. I am certain that it was a VGA driver problem, because it never happened again, till I decided to remove windows internet explorer and it did the black screen thing again. It restarts and instead of showing windows splash screen it shows a black screen. When I am at the black screen I can't do anything, I will have manually restart and when it boots up the second time it will load windows. It's ____ me off. I hope someone can help me here, and I appreciate it. Atm I am gonna reinstall IE 8 and let's hope for the best.

PS. I just bought this new HDD WDVELOCIRAPTOR 300GB. So it's brand new. Don't know what's going on.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Restart leads to black screen before windows 7 splash screen

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Restart leads to black screen before windows 7 splash screen

Hmmm! Been having the same problem myself with 7 ultimate 64 bit. It only happens on a "restart". Cold boot works OK.
I just hit my reset button, get message to do startup repair or start windows normally.
Select the "normal" and all seems to work OK???????
I'd be interested if you can find a resolution to this issue. I gave up on it!!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/97845-restart-leads-black-screen-before-windows-7-splash-screen.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Okay here's a little background information Bought my PC in Have had to replace video cards since i've bought it One was replaced under warranty the other I bought Since I purchased my PC the only parts splash mode. safe screen acces Black Unable Windows to screen. after I have replaced are My video card cards later i'm on my most recent one EVGA Nvidia GT http www evga com articles asp I also upgraded my PSU to an Enermax Pro w http www directron com epr awt html OS Windows XP SP Motherboard ASUS P BW-LA http h www hp com ewfrf wc d name c I mainly use my Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode. computer for gaming after my first video card died i was sent a beefier card http reviews cnet com graphics-car tag mncol lst after that my PC was no longer under warranty so I had to buy my next cards my self My problem I Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode. left my computer on while making some food I had world of warcraft opened When I finished making food I got back to my computer and moved my mouse to get it out of sleep mode I run a dual display set up once my monitors loaded up one of the screens was pure white and the other screen was black I was forced to hold the power button down to turn off my PC From there Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode. on out everytime I boot my computer up I get my PC's loading screen which i'm able to acces BIOS or system restore after my PC's loading screen I get the windows splash screen after that my monitor is pure black The PC is still on and running but there's no display I plugged my monitor into my onboard and enabled it through BIOS same thing I originally thought this was a video card problem but after going through my onboard i realized this isn't the case Anytime i try to run windows normally the black screen happens wether its through my video card or through my onboard So my next idea was to start in safe mode Unfortunatley that doesn't work either It loads up all my system drivers then stops after windows system giveio sys Could this be an OS problem Maybe my mobo is shot and that's why i've been burning video cards cards in years is a little ridiculous Should I reformat Should I replace my mobo Please help Heres my PC's exact specs keep in mind i replaced my video card and PSU as mentioned before in this post http h www hp com ewfrf wc p roduct Please help me money is tight and I can't afford to be guessing and replacing parts thank you Joseph

A:Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode.

bump, please help :(

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-after-windows-splash-screen-unable-to-acces-safe-mode-383474.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Last night I downloaded a to boots screen splash Computer Windows black screen after file from a Torrent site - Blackberry stuff I'm pretty sure most or Computer boots to black screen after Windows splash screen all was freeware stuff I just noticed that that file has been removed Kinda unfortunately because I did leave a comment on what happened to me and I asked if anyone else had the same issue I'm guessing maybe they did because it is gone now I ran my AVG scan on it before opening it It didn't find anything so I ran the executable It locked up at one point after I started getting virus warnings from some new program I did not write down what any of it was - I had to do a hard shutdown When it came up to my choices window i e choose Safe Mode Last Know etc I was unable to make any selections with my keyboard so it continued to boot Windows normally The XP splash screen comes on and then the screen turns black with nothing further happening I can do a hard reboot but I can't get into Safe Mode because the keyboard isn't working and normal windows isn't working either Got any suggestions Do I have some serious funk Did some piece of hardware decide to stop functioning properly power supply I have been Googling this issue without any success Sometimes it feels like you are the only one to ever have a particular issue This happened very late last night and now I am at work so I'm not able to touch it for the next hours or so The only two things that I can do right now is go into the BIOS settings or watch it go into Windows and then get the black screen I have not tried booting with any CDs or floppy disks yet I need a solution please Has anyone else experienced this exact same issue

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-boots-to-black-screen-after-windows-splash-screen-300933.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hello After doing a Windows update my computer gave a Windows looking message that my hard drive was going bad and to Safe Mode Windows 7 NO screen, black screen then splash back up my data I was able to save my user files Then the pc crashed with a BSOD I disabled restart after crash Found the error was x B having to do with a corrupt bootcat cache file Could not Windows 7 splash screen, then black screen NO Safe Mode boot up windows except for semi windows with my windows disk and Windows 7 splash screen, then black screen NO Safe Mode Chose Repair in Recovery console however it told Windows 7 splash screen, then black screen NO Safe Mode me nothing could be repaired Through an option to quot find a file quot under the Recovery option I managed to copy a GOOD copy of the bootcat cache file and I appropriately placed it in E Windows system codeintegrity it was ONLY seeing C as a system partition my drive letters were all reassigned Sorry this is confusing and a lot of info Bottom line is my hard drive is not bad I see windows on it and all my files and the BIOS recognizes the drive It is firmly connected and NOT hot to the touch From a command prompt I did a bootrec exe fixmbr and also fixboot as the pc was not properly booting up it still would not boot properly I am totally unable to go to safe mode hitting F No matter what I do I get a Windows Splash screen and then my screen goes to a Black Screen with a White arrow cursor the hard drive appears to be trying to work the light flickers but it just hangs at the black screen Again it refuses to allow me to boot to safe mode It tries to load the Windows System recovery screen ONLY when I try to boot to the Windows CD I cannot repair it I don't have an image because it would not allow me to make one before it crashed It will NOT repair it cannot validate any system restore points and tells me it cannot restore on any of them I am unable to boot to safemode at all with or without the Win CD in my drive How can I recover from this I am percent certain my hard drive is NOT bad Something is corrupted and Windows won't load I've built many pc's and worked as desktop support hardware tech Splash screen then black screen and stays at a white arrow with the hard drive light flickering on and off

A:Windows 7 splash screen, then black screen NO Safe Mode

sorry for bumping. it seems people get a lot of responses to their questions and i was hoping to get the same kind of response.

Bottom line is, my computer tries to load Windows (7) with the splash screen, then goes to a black screen with an arrow and stays there.

I am unable to boot to safe mode.

I am unable to do a recovery from booting from the Windows 7 Install CD

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/305211-windows-7-splash-screen-then-black-screen-no-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 101.48%

My splash black screen windows screen blue now to laptop is a Dell Inspiron with windows splash to black screen now blue screen XP Professional The laptop was given to me used no original cd s or anything just the machine and power cord just letting you know that right off the bat as I don t have option to put cd in as I don t have it The laptop has a XP sticker on it that doesn t state if windows splash to black screen now blue screen it was home or Professional windows splash to black screen now blue screen to start with I say all this because I can t tell you if the OS was preinstalled or after market installation IN case this matters any I am not knowledgeable about computers without the aid or forums like this so please know that when offering aid I ll need specifics please Recently my system malfunctioned and YourHighness helped me get it cleaned up It was working fine for a few days All of a sudden the Windows Splash screen disappeared and the screen went black After multiple reboots and selecting Function F eventually the computer would go to a grey screen and then would finish booting fine This went on for a week or two Meanwhile as YourHighness suggested I bought more RAM as it only had MB I read it can go up to a gig so I bought used from eBay a and installed it Booted fine after the black screen issue still and worked fine A couple of days later I went to boot it back up and got a blue screen saying quot Stop C Bad Image CheckSum The Image MSAN dll is possibly corrupt The Header Checksum does not match the computed checksum quot I can not boot to safe or any other option I can only access bios and am clueless what to do once there if anything I tried recovery counsel booting but it just refreshes the options screen essentially it only recognizes the XP option I removed the RAM in case it was causing the problem Tried to boot with just a and also with s Still got same blue screen I don t know what to do from here Do I need to take it to a repair shop or can someone guide me through some options Please advise Most appreciatively Thatguy

A:windows splash to black screen now blue screen

I would think that your first priority, assuming that your data is safe, is to obtain a means of reinstalling/repairing XP. I mean, that would be my first priority if I intended to run a system with XP on it and I did not believe that the system would run perfectly until I decided to retire/sell/junk it.

So my first suggestion would have been...contact Dell and inquire about recovery/restore CDs for your system.

As for your apparent option of taking it to a shop...that won't resolve the fact that you have no install disks of any type.

I've not ever seen an XP sticker that doesn't indicate which flavor of the O/S is installed.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/199556/windows-splash-to-black-screen-now-blue-screen/
Relevancy 99.76%

Thanks screen after Black screen Windows Splash in advance Black screen after Windows Splash screen for any help on Black screen after Windows Splash screen this Yesterday when I went to shut down my computer it began to install the Microsoft updates from the Tuesday patch KB KB KB KB KB KB KB When I came back into the office this morning the computer was shut down When I booted I got the Bios screen and Black screen after Windows Splash screen the windows splash screen just fine Then it just hangs on a black screen My initial thought was the video card driver I booted into Safe Mode and uninstalled the driver No change Thinking that maybe one of the updates was borked I tried to restore to Monday No change I ran spybot and anti-malware which found two entries each related to a trojan downloader I removed them and ran the tests again which came back clean I then ran AVG which also came back clean About a week ago I had a suspicious file which AVG detected and I then removed I think that this file caused some damage which did not become apparent until Microsoft update tried to patch I am running XP Pro SP I really need to get at some db files but SQL Server Agent will not run in safe mode and the backup from yesterday failed I assume this happened due to the update at the time of shutdown as the backup is set to occur then as well I found a thread http www bleepingcomputer com forums topic html where elise helped somebody out with a similar problem however the other person could not start safe mode so I am unsure if I should use the same steps ThanksThies

A:Black screen after Windows Splash screen

<<I found a thread (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic356791.html)where elise025 helped somebody out with a similar problem, however the other person could not start safe mode so I am unsure if I should use the same steps.>>

The solutions for malware problems...are seldom generic, since each situation involves a different system, different circumstances, etc.

So...my advice is never to try to use someone else's malware situation...which has been defined and treated by those with expertise...to self-resolve your own situation.

I would suggest that you start in the Am I Infected forum...I'll move this topic there.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/367727/black-screen-after-windows-splash-screen/
Relevancy 99.76%

hi i built my own pc in the summer a few months ago it was windows xp Black splash screen after screen working fine until this morning when i switched it on i only have one user so it automatically goes onto the user without having to click Black screen after windows xp splash screen the name however today i had to click it because it said i needed to activate xp over the phone or the internet even though it was already activated anyway i have activated it now but when i switch the pc on after the xp splash screen it just shows a blank screen i have gone into safe mode and it give me an option of the Administrator and my user i have tried system restore in both but the same thing happens i have seen on other sites that it may be the video card drivers and i might have to reinstall them however on safe mode i put the cd in but i can't install it does anyone know how i can fix this

A:Black screen after windows xp splash screen

Hi, I have seen this quite a few times, and yes pain in the butt i know :) Alot of software will not install in safe mode, although seeing as you can get into safe mode, will it allow you to uninstall the video driver from there? If you can, then reboot into regular mode, the system should come up (heres hoping).. then reinstall the vid driver. I have found this to work most times. Worst case scenario.. if that dosn't help. . .go back into safe mode again, uninstall all motherboard drivers, reboot back into normal mode, and again, reinstall drivers. The problem you are having is normally a software issue, generally one of the two suggestions here I find to work. If you have activated and the system is asking for reactivation, that could be due to malware or viruses, or significant hardware changes to your system

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-after-windows-xp-splash-screen-329466.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi I have a Lenovo ThinkPad running Windows Since yesterday I've been having a problem that I haven't encountered since my laptop initially upgraded to Windows which I still swear to this day it did automatically Screen Windows After Black Screen Splash without my permission Whenever I try to boot up my computer I just get a black screen When I boot it up I'm able to see the Lenovo window and also the Windows splash screen After that I hear the boot up tone but then all I get is a black screen Every once in awhile I'm able to Black Screen After Windows Splash Screen see my cursor but not always Before the computer upgraded to windows I was having issues with the screen not working so I purchased a whole new screen After I installed it I still had a black screen Therefore I did some research and just by chance I ran across someone online that had this same problem and they unplugged a yellow backup battery under the touchpad and when they plugged it back it they got their screen back I tried it and it worked too I had no issues with the computer until the windows upgrade When the computer first upgraded to Windows I didn't get an image but if I put the computer to sleep and then work it up I got an image again This no longer works I also tried unplugging the backup battery to see if that would fix it No luck I have a feeling it has something to do with the display driver especially since I can see the splash screen image but I don't know what to do from here Since I can't access my computer anymore I don't know what to do to troubleshoot Any help to get my image back would be greatly appreciated Josh

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628471/black-screen-after-windows-splash-screen/
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi everyone:

This is my first time here so im not 100% sure if this is where I am supposed to post this.

I am running windows XP Pro and the problem is that I have deep freeze installed on my computer, so I un-thawed it and then installed skype and then froze it again.

Once I was done with Skype I un-thawed deep freeze again and uninstalled Skype and then restarted the computer. Thats when the problem started all I get now is the windows XP splash screen and then the screen goes blank. I tried going into safe mode to un-thaw deep freeze again but it doesn't appear in the bottom bar.

Any help is greatly appresheated.

Thanks,
:) Azirus

A:Black Screen after seeing Windows splash screen.

Hello everyone its me again. Just wanted to give an update on the problem.

It appears that it is deep freeze that is causing this problem on the computer, because when I boot into thawed mode or uninstall deep freeze the computer is able to boot normal (I was able to log in by pressing F8 and then selecting Directory Services Restore Mode, incase someone else has this problem) and once I logged in I was able to open deep freeze and uninstall it.

Unfortunately I need deep freeze installed on this computer because its at a public library (Deep freeze pretty much solves all problems of public downloading viruses etc...) I also have deep freeze installed on 6 other computers running windows XP Pro and they arn't having any problems at all.

If anyone else has had this problem or knows what may be wrong please let me know. I have tried uninstalling deep freeze and reinstalling it as well, but the same problem happens.

Thanks,
:) Azirus

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-after-seeing-windows-splash-screen-272248.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Before explaining how i got here i will explain what exactly is happening When I boot up my computer i see the up boot leads screen to startup screen, Can't black access logo then text saying Preparing Automatic Repair with a loading icon Then i would get a black screen that would sometimes show a cursor that i can use with the black screen but most times just the black screen Eventually this black screen ca give way to Diagnosing your PC loading screen that loops endlessly Okay this started after I downloaded the anniversary edition for Windows the first time i booted up the computer i had faced the AVG Watchdog initialization bug which prevented from accessing the laptop for the few weeks as tried looking for solutions forcing me to eventually uninstall Can't access startup screen, boot up leads to black screen AVG through Safe mode the only way i managed to was through turning it off and on times as every other way including holding F had not worked After booting up the first time without issue after removing AVG and getting some things done I turned it off without issue then i faced this new problem which is still plaguing me I've looked up in forums for a solution but the closest i found was just reinstalling windows and losing everything does anyone have a solution where i can still keep my data

A:Can't access startup screen, boot up leads to black screen

Hi Helix935 and welcome to Tenforums.

If it was less than 10 days since this happened, you might have been able to go into Settings>Recovery and rollback from the Anniversary Update. But it's been too long now.

If it's data only that you're needing to save, you could boot the system to Kyhi's rescue media and use File Explorer to copy your data over to an external drive, then perform a clean install, (or reset or refresh from within safe mode).
Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums
You will need to reinstall your personal applications after the OS is working again though.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/66730-cant-access-startup-screen-boot-up-leads-black-screen.html
Relevancy 95.46%

A few days ago my computer stopped booting up so I reinstalled windows XP. I have spent the last two days running updates and installing all of my programs, etc. and things were going well. But now all of the sudden when I boot up my monitor goes black just after the windows splash screen over and over. I have been using my on-board video port but I have also tried switching over to a pci video card. When I did that I got no display what so ever. Any help would be appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-after-windows-splash-screen.968196/
Relevancy 95.46%

I turned on my computer today as usual and I've restarted it numerous amount of times and I can't get past the ASUS bios splash.

I'm thinking the problem is my hard drive, the activity light stops flashing after the bios screen and it just completely goes black and hangs. I've tried system restoring from the windows CD but that didn't work. I don't understand how I can see the hard drive in the bios and I can choose restore points on the drive but it simply won't boot.

What can I do? I don't want to format it and re-install everything again as it takes forever to get everything back. Can I create a new partition to install windows on as I have plenty of space left?

Help?

A:Black Screen Before Windows Splash

What OS(s) do you have, your profile lists "XP" but you are in the Windows Vista/7 forums

Also, try a startup repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-before-windows-splash-497213.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi I have a Gateway PIII running Windows XP Pro. Last weekend I was setting up a home network and now when I turn it on the display goes black just after the windows splash screen disappears. Does anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this?

A:Display goes black right after windows splash screen.

Can you still boot into Safe mode.

I suspect either a driver or new start up program.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/display-goes-black-right-after-windows-splash-screen.671866/
Relevancy 93.31%

I already did this.Black Screen Hang (after splash screen appears) (usually video driver)- Last Known Good Configuration- Safe Mode- install/reinstall latest version of video drivers. I downloaded the latest video driver and installed it. But the black screen hang still keeps on happening. Please Help

A:Black Screen Hang (after splash screen appears)

What happens when you try to get into Safe Mode?The next most common issue for black screen hangs is a problem with the hard drive.You can try these commands from the Recovery Console ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ )They will attempt to correct issues with the File System on your hard drive.FIXMBRFIXBOOTCHKDSK /RIf that does not fix it, then I'd suggest a bootable diagnostic available from the manufacturer of your hard drive. There's a list of the most common one's in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/ The diagnostic will tell you if your hard drive is starting to fail (or not).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/186162/black-screen-hang-after-splash-screen-appears/
Relevancy 93.31%

Hi all I was called to fix my aunt s PC the other day and what i came across was something i couldnt figure out what had caused the problem The machine does the usual POST etc does all to Screen Prior Black Screen Splash WinXP its checks and then goes to boot from the HDD HDD is indicated in BIOS Black Screen Prior to WinXP Splash Screen etc At this very stage just before the WinXP splash Screen the Screen LCD just goes black and does not ever recover There is no error messages and the HDD LED blinks a couple more times then does nothing LCD power light stays on green I have to either turn it off via power button or do a restart with Ctrl Alt Del I have disconnected all peripherals except Video Card HDD and still no luck The only reason why i left the Video Card was that there is no onboard video and i had no other Video cards to replace it I cant even boot into safe mode I manage to resolve the problem by doing a WinXP repair over the top but what i really want to know is was it a corrupt damaged MBR that was causing this problem or was it a corrupt driver I have read a few articles about nVidia cards giving black screens but none seem to be similiar to mine Also since the install over the top the problem has not re-occurred however it has only been day since PC Specs are below P ghz Albatron PE Pro II m board nVidia FX XT VGA card GB IDE Seagate HDD Firewire Card Unsure of Sound Card Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Regards Steve nbsp

A:Black Screen Prior to WinXP Splash Screen

Sounds more like a corrupt video driver to me.

My screens go black at that stage, as the drivers load.

Later drivers seem to leave them "black" a lot longer in the boot process.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-prior-to-winxp-splash-screen.480057/
Relevancy 93.31%

Going to my sisters tonight to attempt to fix her PC Was working fine this morning cursor Black with after screen screen splash moveable but this afternoon - Upon startup everything runs fine until after the windows splash screen everything goes black and the only thing visable is a cursor but nothing to click cannot ctrl alt del cannot right click Cannot enter safe mode at all last good configuration doesn t work either Computer is still running Black screen with moveable cursor after splash screen fan whirring lights flashing Fan has been cleaned and power supply checked Black screen with moveable cursor after splash screen no change Cannot get into anything to run explorer or virus check She is running Windows Black screen with moveable cursor after splash screen XP SP I m unsure of when sp was installed I understand this may be an issue along with video and graphics drivers display settings corrupt registry flat CMOS battery or loose internal connections My questions are - What can I do to actually get into the computer to check if it may be these problems Does anyone know of any more problems that could be causing this problem nbsp

A:Black screen with moveable cursor after splash screen

Welcome to TSG, Kiwichick. You stated....

Fan has been cleaned and power supply checked, no change.Click to expand...

It's very possible that in cleaning the machine something may have become loose. (It happened to me before,
a sata cable wasn't completely connected.) Check all of the connections at both ends. Any cables or straps
need to be tightly seated to the HDD as well as the connection to the mobo.

Before you open the case, disconnect all peripherals and press the power supply button in for approx. 30 seconds
to drain the remaining flea power. It sounds like a loose cable to the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-moveable-cursor-after-splash-screen.799937/
Relevancy 93.31%

Problem When booting the then black Motherboard - =( screen death screen splash of computer after the motherboard splash screen the screen turns black and nothing happens Everything is still on and the fans are running PC Spec's Motherboard Asus M A -E SAM ATX Processor AMD Athlon II X GHz MB W AM RAM Corsair GB DDR MHz Cl XMS - Graphics x Crossfired XFX PCIe HD MB Power supply Corsair VX W HDD Windows installed HD GB Samsung SP SATA- RPM Spinpoint F HDD GB storage DVD DVD RW Samsung X DL This PC has been in use for approximately a year Facts When I turn the power on all fans start running like they normally do Using the ASUS Express Gate splashtop that launches before the motherboard splash screen I'm able to browse all my files on both harddrives Pressing DELETE at the motherboard splash screen takes me to the Bios Setup Utility which I can navigate At the Bios Setup Utility it says that the Primary IDE Master and Primary IDE Motherboard splash screen - then black screen of death =( Slave are quot Not Detected quot Not sure if this is significant According to the Bios Setup Utility it should attempt to boot from the correct HDD Trying to boot from the second HDD yields the same results Pressing TAB at the motherboard splash screen to view BIOS POST Message only leads to the same black screen Switching the monitor made no difference The monitor can't find a signal from any other ports I'm at my wit's end I do not understand what's causing this I've recently bought a new monitor but switching back to the old one made no difference I've installed a bunch of Steam games and updated Sims but other than that I've done no major changes to the system in the past few days I've been able to shut down and start the computer without issues until this morning when this happened I really don't know what to do Can anyone help me I'd be eternally grateful for any and all help I can get

A:Motherboard splash screen - then black screen of death =(

I went into the Bios Setup Utility and reset to factory defaults. I then changed the boot order so that I would boot from DVD before HDD. For some reason this did it. It now works. Maybe it just needed time to rest? Because this hardly sounds like the solution to my problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/motherboard-splash-screen-then-black-screen-of-death-539407.html
Relevancy 92.45%

My computer Dell Dimension running Windows XP SP no new hardware screen with Splash Windows mouse hang black to pointer...Mup.sys or software added in years turns on asks me if I want to Start Windows Normally Last Known Good Config and different Safe Modes It doesn t matter which one I pick it always starts the Windows splash screen then goes to a black screen with my mouse pointer which I can move but cannot right or left click Also the keyboard controls don t seem to work no ctrl alt del nothing though if I press shift times it gives me the beep atleast letting me know the keyboard is working Safe Modes do something a little different but end up in the same place as the other modes Safe mode will hang on Mup sys for a long while before it goes to Windows Splash to black screen with mouse pointer...Mup.sys hang the black screen with the mouse pointer I have pulled off the user files pictures documents and so on while connecting the drive to a different computer and making it a slave Also while it was connected to the other computer I ran MalwareBytes on it It found a trojan on that drive and cleaned it up I thought that may be it so it booted the hd as a master in it s own box I still get the same thing as before black screen with mouse pointer I made a BartPE boot CD and booted the computer to that I ran a chkdsk on it then restarted with a normal boot I still got the same black screen and mouse pointer I booted with BartPE again and checked to see if Explorer exe existed anymore It was there Now I am stuck I think it may be something in the registry but I am not sure I found something on the internet saying to check if you have these registry entries HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution Options explorer exe and HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution Options iexplorer exe and to delete them if you do but I didn t have those in my registry Can I save this hard drive or do I have to put a fresh install of the OS on it nbsp

Relevancy 91.59%

It seems Mouse Screen XP Screen Black with After Splash I only come here with my weirdest issues sorry for taking advantage of everyone s knowledge I have a customers PC that boots into Windows XP but after the splash screen it goes to a black screen with only the mouse pointer It does the same in safe mode The computer is still running but I can t do anything Task Manager doesn Black Screen with Mouse After XP Splash Screen t open but I can activate Sticky Keys Very weird I ran chkdsk no problems I ran a fixboot a fixmbr and a bootcfg repair Nothing I researched this and can t find a definitive fix for the issue The most common cause seemed to be the display driver so I booted into VGA mode and it did the same thing I m stumped Specs Custom PC Intel P Windows XP Pro SP MB RAM Only other thing I can think of is that they were running an Intel RAID setup that failed I assumed that this would not have affected it this way but I may be incorrect Both drives act they same way fwiw Thanks for any help you guys can provide Jay

A:Black Screen with Mouse After XP Splash Screen

Well...the black screen with flashing cursor in upper left corner...is a typical scenario overcome by running fixmbr.

I don't know much about RAIDs but a failed RAID configuration creates problems of its own that have nothing to do with XP and must be treated as a distinct issue, IMO.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371727/black-screen-with-mouse-after-xp-splash-screen/
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi,

I haven?t seen anyone with this specific problem, but apologies if I have missed this.

I believe my laptop has been infected with the ?Virus Remover 2008? virus. I?ve read allot over the last few hours about running anti-virus software, Malwarebyte or manually deleting files, but what I cannot find is my specific problem amongst all the forum?s.

Every time I start the laptop up, I login, get to the desktop, the icons load on screen, they load in the bottom right bar. This is when I get a blue screen, then white lines (looks like barcodes), then the laptop restarts again. There is no time to run any anti-virus software or enter any of the menus (it happens about 10 secs after the last icon is loaded). I?m going round in circles with this one.

Can anyone help with this problem? Much appreciated if you can.

Laptop: Dell Inspirion 1501 with Vista.

Cheers
Nate19

A:"Virus Remover 2008" Blue Screen leads to Restart

Can you get into Safemode? Reboot the computer and after the initial screen, start tapping the F8 key

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/187515/virus-remover-2008-blue-screen-leads-to-restart/
Relevancy 89.87%

I have a laptop ProBook s with Windows that started booting to a black screen and becoming non-responsive some days ago When I boot I see the HP splash screen then the Windows logo loading and then an unresponsive black screen without a cursor The only way I can turn off the computer is by holding the power button Sometimes screen ProBook Windows splash 4720s Windows black after to booting with 10 HP it'll boot to a Windows could not start correctly -screen and I've tried that start-up repair which couldn't solve it I've tried System Restore to the latest point which failed twice and I've tried booting into Safe Mode with Network possibilities and then it froze while trying to enter the password The HP ProBook 4720s with Windows 10 booting to black screen after Windows splash only thing that worked was just booting into Safe Mode the computer worked perfectly fine then I've also tried booting with a HDMI cable connected to a TV to make sure it's not just outputting the video to the wrong place still a black screen though Since the laptop doesn't really support Windows there aren't any drivers for the laptop from the official site for Windows I've downloaded some of the Drivers from here http www driverscape com manufacturers hp laptops-desktops hp-probook- s As far as I know though I think I've only installed the drivers that were necessary to make the webcam and fingerprint scanner work though the latter still doesn't function Do note though that the computer worked fine after installing these drivers it was only after a month or that this suddenly happened Any ideas how to fix this Thanks in advance Update I've started in safe mode and removed the AMD driver I restarted and got the same black screen though now after a minute I got a CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT bluescreen After googling and finding that it might be related to a USB device driver not functioning correctly I viewed the hidden devices and removed the USB drivers of the devices that weren't connected Now I get a MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION I don't really know where to go from here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597826/hp-probook-4720s-with-windows-10-booting-to-black-screen-after-windows-splash/
Relevancy 89.87%

My mom's computer is a Compaq FS7600. It has Windows 2000/XP on it. When she turns the computer on all it does is goes to a black screen, she said it doesn't even show the blinking cursor. We've tried the F8 over and over, but it still only comes up to a black screen. What can we do?

A:Starting computer leads to black screen.

need lots more info than what u've posted, like is it windows 2000 or windows xp, what model compaq is it? the fs7600 is a flat screen monitor. have u made sure all connections r tight etc? have u tried using a diff monitor 2 see if it boots? does it make any beeps when u turn it on? any & everything u can find 2 post is usually more helpful than just a cry in the dark lol

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/starting-computer-leads-to-black-screen.767288/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hey everybody thanks for reading this post This started yesterday I got Splash Loop Restart Screen At Xp home and switched on my computer selecting XP at dual boot options The computer started up as usual but once it had logged in it froze after loading one item in the system tray it loaded only the little symbol showing that a device is added it must have been my USB Wireless I did a forced shut down via the Power ON button When I power on and select XP from dual boot menu it brings up the Windows did not shut down correctly options and I ve tried safe mode safe mode with network safe mode with command prompt and last Restart Loop At Xp Splash Screen good known configuration but all react the same way as starting windows normally Everytime I start now it freezes a few moments after the splash screen load bar begins animating it then restarts I m not sure if this extra piece of information helps but everytime it restarts after the crash the computer does not beep But when I shutdown correctly from Ubuntu Linux and then Power on the computer again it beeps even when I restart through Linux Ubuntu it beeps Thanks in advance Bartikky I would like to add I did browse through other people s problems to see if any are similar to mine but no luck

A:Restart Loop At Xp Splash Screen

If you have an XP CD...you might try running the fixmbr command.

Hard shutdowns...can damage system (and other) files.

IMO, the original hesitation might indicate that the MBR is damaged or out of sorts.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/156036/restart-loop-at-xp-splash-screen/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hey guys,

Recently, when I try going into sleep mode on my laptop, sometimes the screen just goes black/grey, but the computer doesnt fully go into the mode. Shaking the mouse, or just waiting for the long time does not work and the computer is stuck between being on and being asleep (I cannot go back to the desktop).

Do you have any idea of how to fix this?

Thank you!

A:Sleep mode leads to being stuck on black screen

Seen a problem like this before what you can do is try this. open services by going to - start - services.msc (in the search bar) - when this opens look for a service called "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" and if it is on disable it and try that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/285203-sleep-mode-leads-being-stuck-black-screen.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi Everyone About a week ago I had trouble with my computer not loading and I posted a topic about it Nothing was working so I ended up formatting my hard drive and starting over It's been working fine for about a week but then yesterday afternoon after I finished with it and left for class I can back to start it up only to see that it Running to Black Screen Leads Repair Startup won't start The fading flashing windows logo shows but then as the bottom progress Running Startup Repair Leads to Black Screen bar is still loading the screen turns black After a few minutes I get a black screen and my cursor on it I've unplugged my external monitor any USB attachments but they don't work I've also tried running repairs booting from CD with my Win Disk I burned after my fixing my computer last week but the screen still turns black when it says windows is loading I can't even activate safe mode because I still get the black screen with the cursor Does anyone have any ideas and can help me I got this computer a year and a half ago and I've already had trouble starting it up twice this week Thank you so much in advance Here are my specs - - - - - Specs Model ASUS M Vm-A Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium CPU Type Intel Core Duo P G Memory Size GB DDR Hard Disk GB SATA RPM Optical Drive DVD Super Multi Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce M GS Video Memory MB - - - - - Thanks again in advance

A:Running Startup Repair Leads to Black Screen

Have you tried testing your RAM with Memtest86?

You can also try updating your BIOS: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/60542-running-startup-repair-leads-black-screen.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I repair computers for a side job and this one is frustrating me haha Here is what is going on I turn it on the windows xp boot screen comes up with the splash screen and when thats over the screen goes black and the login screen is supposed to show up but it never does and after a few moments it will restart itself like a broken record I am about to meet him in a splash screen Screen Black after few hours so any help will be Black Screen after splash screen appreciated What I am plannin on doing is hit F and enter VGA mode to see if this solves the problem But Black Screen after splash screen I dont want to have to have him enter VGA all the time if this works Should I uninstall his video driver and if I do will video show up after that when I reboot his computer He is running WinXP Home SP If any of you have had the same problem please respond I have checked the messege boards on this site and all threads seem to have a different opinion Anyone found one that works Thanks in advance for your replies nbsp

A:Black Screen after splash screen

I can answer just part of your question. Hitting F8 to go into Safe Mode won't actually solve your problem by itself but it should allow you to get into Windows to try to solve the problem particularly if the problem is caused by software. If you uninstall your graphics driver, Windows generic VGA driver should take over after you reboot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-after-splash-screen.85210/
Relevancy 88.15%

I have been having a lot of issues getting my computer to boot recently. Long story short, I ran a repair installation, and when it rebooted to finish the install, I got an error message: nvatabus.sys is missing or corrupted. I downloaded the file from nVidia, and pasted it onto my HDD. Now it boots, goes to the splash screen, but does not go to the login or finish setting up screen. Can anyone help? Thanks!

A:Black screen after splash screen

Did you install the file correctly? Visit the following webpage for some information. (http://www.file.net/process/nvatabus.sys.html\)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-after-splash-screen-397922.html
Relevancy 86.86%

hi my laptop screen is set to turn off after 5 mins, when it does i cannot wake it, no matter what buttons i push or using my mouse. this black screen also happens when i restart my computer, it logs me off the the screen goes black and computer power lights are still on and it does nothing HELP! haha thanks

Nathan

A:laptop screen goes black when i restart, and screen wont wake up after it turns off

Boot the computer and press F8 in the Advanced Boot menu choose Last Known Good Configuration.
What is the make and model# of the computer? Go to the manufactures support/download drivers site and download the Chipset and the Video driver for the computer.
Go to Start/Search and type powercfg.cpl. Right click the powercfg results and Run As Administrator. Click Change Plan Settings/change Advanced power settings. Reset your power settings to your liking.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-screen-goes-black-when-i-restart-and-screen-wont-wake-up-after-it-turns-off-698507.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello,

I am new to this site. My computer seems to freeze often. Unfortunately, a freezing episode occurred during a windows update, so I turned off my computer even though it says "do not turn off your computer". Ever since I did this, when I try to turn on my computer, the BIOS loading bar goes to about 4/5 the way before it stops and goes into a black screen with a white cursor on the top left. I also cannot access safemode by repeatedly pressing F8. What is wrong with my computer?

Thank you.

A:Starting up computer leads to black screen with white cursor on top left.

Please do the following.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close. 

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair p... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552074/starting-up-computer-leads-to-black-screen-with-white-cursor-on-top-left/
Relevancy 86.86%

The whole problem...

Put the machine in standby. Came back to it, hit the power button and it wouldn't wake up completely, it stopped at the background, would load icons or respond to any keys or buttons. Pressed and held power until it shut down.

When it tries to startup, it gets to the part where its a black screen and says Windows loading, with the scrolling load bar. After that I get the blue screen with the message below.

Same result when trying to load using safe mode except the BSOD flashes quicker and is gone.

Is there any way to get beyond this point, or is a repair from the Windows CD the only or best solution? I have backups of my most important data with Carbonite, so I'm not too afraid of losing data, but re-loading everything I have installed would be a major kick in the bits.

Relevancy 86.43%

This can happen at any time for me (including when I was re-installing windows in an attempt to fix the problem... did not go well ) but more often than not happens during web-browsing and especially when watching youtube vids. I'm going to assume it has something to do with my graphics card as the blue screen does not actually come up... instead the screen goes black and then I have to restart the computer. Anyways upon boot up and log in I get a windows message that tells me that windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown ect.. and the numbers are:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 85AA3510
BCP2: 93218A5E
BCP3: C000009A
BCP4: 00000004
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

A:BSOD - Screen goes black and upon restart tells me I got a blue screen

Have you activated your Win 7?

Fully and completely update your Win7. Afterwards, I'll be asking you to submit a file which will show me all of the installed updates.

The update procedure will take qute a period of time since you do not have SP1 installed. This means there are updates to get you up to SP1 and then there about 100 updates post-SP1.

UPDATING YOUR WIN 7
1. ASSURE THAT YOU RECEIVE ALL UPDATES
WIN | type WINDOWS UPDATE | ENTER |
Change settings (left-hand column) |
checkmark all four of the boxes | OK button

Approve any dialog boxes presented. Let Windows install any update features.

WIN is the key with the Microsoft flag on top.

2. INSTALL CRITICAL UPDATES
Check for Updates (left-hand column)
Install ALL critical updates.
Restart your computer (even if not prompted)

Repeat this procedure until there are no more critical updates.

DO NOT TRUST the ?Windows is up to date? in center of dialog. until you see that TWICE IN A ROW!

3. INSTALL IMPORTANT UPDATES
Use the ?critical update? procedure until all important updates are installed.

4. INSTALL OPTIONAL UPDATES
Under Optional updates you will be presented with:
a) Microsoft Bing Desktop which is of questionable value
b) a list of about 34 language updates.

You can hide those updates so that aren't continually notified of those updates.
When you click on 34+ optional updates are available, then you
a) highlight all of the language updates,
b) right-click anywhere in the highlighted list.
c) click on Hide Updates,
d) OK button.
Install ALL other Optional Updates.
Use the ?critical update? procedure.

UPDATE GOLDEN RULES
Install ALL, yes, ALL updates.
This is Win 7 and not Vista or XP (eXPired).

UPDATE IS HUNG ?TAKING FOREVER
Hung is very doubtful unless you interrupted updates.

CTRL + SHIFT + ESC key combo will pop-up the Task Manager.
Lo and behold, Windows Update is still running!

You hold down the CTRL and SHIFT keys.
While holding them down, tap the ESC key once.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/247298-bsod-screen-goes-black-upon-restart-tells-me-i-got-blue-screen.html
Relevancy 86%

I started having trouble and posted the minidump in another forum to see if they could help me. I will only reference it here so there would't be any repetitions of tests that I have already done there.

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/45979-memory-management-crash.html

The last update was after I did a full reinstall of Win10 (not an upgrade from 8.1 like last time) on an SSD drive and it was working fine. [/size]

Suddenly, as I was downloading a game, it started working REALLY slowly, the screen turned black and it restarted (so no BSOD that I can tell).[/size]

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:Windows 10 BSOD/Black Screen/Restart

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location. (By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop)
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613702/windows-10-bsodblack-screenrestart/
Relevancy 86%

The laptop I have is an ASUS g74, I purchased the copy of windows 8 from microsoft's site, upgrading from windows 7 pro. I opted to keep all my personal files/apps because the programs it warned me as being incompatible were random games and such.

I googled this problem, and it seemed fairly common months ago when windows 8 first came out on dell/HP laptops. It worked flawlessly when I first upgraded and booted up fine but once I restarted I couldn't see anything other than the screen occasionally flickering brighter and darker.

However, if I plug my laptop up to a TV with an HDMI cable I can see everything on the TV. It's just the laptop screen that is blank. I'm not sure where to go from here, thanks in advance for any help!

A:Upgraded to windows 8, got black screen after restart.

Originally Posted by Shade9623

The laptop I have is an ASUS g74, I purchased the copy of windows 8 from microsoft's site, upgrading from windows 7 pro. I opted to keep all my personal files/apps because the programs it warned me as being incompatible were random games and such.

It's just the laptop screen that is blank. I'm not sure where to go from here, thanks in advance for any help!

Maybe refresh rate needs changing if safe to do so

Picture--

http://i45.tinypic.com/2lnh36s.png

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/16980-upgraded-windows-8-got-black-screen-after-restart.html
Relevancy 85.57%

okay When I put my computer on today all I got after the XP splash was a black screen I cannot boot up in safemode because of my keyboard it just refuses to work on the startup I dont think anything is wrong with my graphics card video card etc etc because I have a second hardrive Black splash after screen xp monitor and when I put it in it loads up perfectly I have tried looking at my files from my other hardrive they are all just either notepad documents or they are just white boxes with cogs in them I have also tried using my XP disk but it Black monitor after xp splash screen wont Black monitor after xp splash screen load I have even put the computer to boot up on the disk and this makes no difference also I have read that you need a certain keyboard to be able to get on Black monitor after xp splash screen safemode its the keyboard that hasnt got the USB end to it I have one but it still Just doesnt work im guessin the only replies I can possiable get are to reformat my hardrive or to get it wiped thanx for your help guys nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-monitor-after-xp-splash-screen.615904/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello-

I have a Gateway Model #5310 hard drive, with an Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family graphics card, operating system Windows XP Home Edition.

Awhile back I bought a new 23 inch Dell model #ST2310 HD monitor, and for awhile it worked fine, but now when I startup the screen goes black after my desktop loads. I know the desktop is back there b/c all the pop ups show,the cursor shows and even the screen saver shows after a bit. I can get in and see everything in safe mode with networking where I have downloaded the latest VGA driver from the gateway site. Is it possible I need a new graphics card for this hard drive b/c its not compatible with the monitor? I am stumped.

I appreciate any help someone could provide me.

A:New Monitor-Black screen after splash

Welcome to TSG, Christy. If you can see your cursor and screen saver, just not your desktop, then the issue is probably not with the monitor or your video drivers.

If you can see everything in safemode, go to the device manager and uninstall your video card, then reboot and let it load to windows normally. Windows will automaticly reinstall the driver and reset the Resolution and refresh rate. If you are still unable to see the desktop, then try bringing up the task manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete, then click File > New task and type Explorer.exe.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-monitor-black-screen-after-splash.987253/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello I am having an unusual problem with Desktop PC Sometimes when I boot the computer it will show the Gigabyte splash and then go black the moment it switches to what would have been the quot starting windows quot screen I am positive that it after BIOS screen Splash Black is not Black screen after BIOS Splash the monitor because I never hear the Black screen after BIOS Splash windows login sounds or music When this happens the only way I am able to fix it temporarily is by re-slotting the memory sticks in the motherboard I did this on a suggestion that it may be a bad stick but based on my experience of switching them out and using them separately this doesn't appear to be the case Any suggestions on how to proceed Thank you for looking Desktop Windows Enterprise GIGABYTE GA- A-UD P AM AMD SATA Gb s USB ATX AMD Motherboard AMD FD FRHKBOX FX- FX-Series -Core Black Edition MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX OC GB GDDR DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card N TF GD OC Corsair Vengeance GB x GB DDR MHz PC Desktop Memory CML GX M A C

A:Black screen after BIOS Splash

I have had similar issues, but sometimes it can be a combination of issues rather than just one.

First I suggest you reset your BIOS, then configure as you need it. Then disconnect all SATA connections except your boot device. Also and even more importantly disconnect ALL your USB connections, including mouse and keyboard.

Boot... see what happens. Boot a few times to make sure you have a consistent response.

All well? try reconnecting SATA devices one at a time booting after each addition. All not well, determine the SATA device causing the problem. Try it on a different SATA port to determine if the port on mother board is the problem.

Repeat with USB devices.

lf on the other hand after removing USB and SATA devices you still get this problem, run memtest. post results.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-after-bios-splash-1157346.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Earlier today my computer froze and when I restarted it, it loaded the XP splash screen but then went black. The computer was still running, but the screen was black and I couldn't do anything. I tried to reboot in safe mode, but it hangs on the "loading-processes screen". I've also tried repairing the region with my windows XP disc, but it didn't resolve anything. I've tried two different video cards and different RAM configurations, but the same problem persists every time. I have also done nothing new to my software, or changed any hardware arrangements in my computer over the past few months. Any suggestions? Your help would be much appreciated!!!

A:XP Splash Screen Loads, Then Goes Black

Is the cursor blinking in the upper left corner of the black screen?

Exactly what steps did you take...in your repair efforts? Telling us may save a lot of "I've already tried that" comments.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/229948/xp-splash-screen-loads-then-goes-black/
Relevancy 85.14%

Lots more detail is to Screen, leads rpcss.dll mouse Black cursor white Vista Zekos? Fixing here and it was suggested Zekos was the culprit http Zekos? Fixing rpcss.dll leads to Vista Black Screen, white mouse cursor www bleepingcomputer com forums t cleaned-system-but-fixing-rpcssdll-vista-black-screen-white-cursor The system checks out clean by a long list of malware removal tools see above but replacing rpcss dll with a clean version results in a Windows Vista SP black screen w white mouse cursor DDS Ver - - - NTFS x Internet Explorer Run by Mary at on - - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium GMT - AV Microsoft Security Essentials Enabled Updated E - ED- F -A - BCB F SP Windows Defender Disabled Outdated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Microsoft Security Essentials Enabled Updated DF E - D - BB- B - D E BFDE Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe c Program Files Microsoft Security Client MsMpEng exe C Windows system atiesrxx exe C Windows system SLsvc exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system atieclxx exe C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Windows System WUDFHost exe c Program Files Microsoft Security Client NisSrv exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system conime exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Windows servicing TrustedInstaller exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k rpcss C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k GPSvcGroup C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Windows System svchost exe -k WerSvcGroup C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation Pseudo HJT Report uSearchAssistant about blank BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper D - C - ABF- ECC- C - c program files common files microsoft shared windows live WindowsLiveLogin dll BHO Windows Live Messenger Companion Helper FDDE B- F- -AB F- CBEFF - c program files windows live companion companioncore dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - mRun MSC c program files microsoft security client msseces exe -hide -runkey mRun Adobe ARM c program files common files adobe arm AdobeARM exe uPolicies-Explorer NoDrives dword mPolicies-Explorer BindDirectlyToPropertySetStorage dword mPolicies-Explorer NoDrives dword mPolicies-System EnableUIADesktopToggle dword IE B-C - - A - A B F - B DBA F- F- B C-A D- DF EAD - c program files windows live companion companioncore dll IE C - CB - a-A C -D FCDDC D - F B - A - F - DB-E F AEC - c program files windows live writer WriterBrowserExtension dll TCP NameServer TCP Interfaces F A DF - - BB-B -B DAF C D DHCPNameServer Handler wlpg - E EF CD-A A- A B- E F- F B E - c program files windows live photo gallery AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler dll LSA Security Packages kerberos msv schannel wdigest tspkg SERVICES DRIVERS R MpFilter Microsoft Malware Protection Driver c windows system drivers MpFilter sys - - R MpKsle efe MpKsle efe c programdata microsoft microsoft antimalware definition updates - b - - ff-ab ecdbb c MpKsle efe sys - - R AMD External Events Utility AMD External Events Utility c windows system atiesrxx exe - - R FontCache Windows Font Cache Service c window... Read more

A:Zekos? Fixing rpcss.dll leads to Vista Black Screen, white mouse cursor

Hi there,

this might be a permission issue. Please try this:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
Download this attached
 fixlist.txt   324bytes
  24 downloads and save it on the same flash drive as FRST.
Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC and enter System Recovery Options as follows.
To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
Restart the computer.
As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
Select your user account an click Next.
Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.htmlTo enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
Insert the installation disc.
Restart your computer.
If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
Click Repair your computer.
Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
Select your user account and click Next.
==========On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
Select Command Prompt
==========Once in the Command Prompt:
In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
In the command window type e:\frst and press EnterNote: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
The tool will start to run.
When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Fix button.
It will make a log (Fixlog.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526374/zekos-fixing-rpcssdll-leads-to-vista-black-screen-white-mouse-cursor/
Relevancy 85.14%

THis morning I ran Ccleaner had some reg errors backed up reg then quot fixed quot them I updated Malwarebytes but I noticed it got stuck after I hit quot finish quot so I manually shut off my Windows loop: restart BLACK XP Pro past SCREEN won't go computer I didn't want to lose my IE page I waited a few seconds and restarted It came up fine so I double clicked Malwarebytes-my pointer FROZE and had a box of verticle lines hovering over it So since my mouse was frozen I manually shut off again THIS time when I restarted the Toshiba logo did not come on but my computer automatically restarted It restarted times I thought Windows XP Pro restart loop: won't go past BLACK SCREEN it may have overheated so I manually shut off and waited for min to cool off Now it is stuck in a loop of restarting The Toshiba logo does not come up nor will windows begin I can not get into bios OR f for safe mode I tried a windows disc that I have but it will not load from cd either Any ideas my computer is a Toshiba Tecra M mhtz gb RAM I think it's dual Windows XP Pro restart loop: won't go past BLACK SCREEN core Windows XP Professional with NO BOOT DISK or reinstall disk available I tried to use a disk from my son's computer but to no avail Any help would be appreciated as this is my home business computer It has ALL of my cattle information on it and I have NO BACKUP - RecaP I CAN NOT go into safe mode can not access BIOS nor will this restart loop go further than a black screen

A:Windows XP Pro restart loop: won't go past BLACK SCREEN

Hi and welcome to TSF I think you may have caused your self more problems by running the reg cleaner and if you can borrow a copy of xp the same as your installed version you might be able to run a repair

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-pro-restart-loop-wont-go-past-black-screen-672351.html
Relevancy 84.71%

hello all i have run into a dilemma i have important files on my system so want to repair the install restarts black - after screen splash before login as opposed to restoring from an image or reinstalling i black screen after splash before login - restarts have black screen after splash before login - restarts win x on a single raid disk single because is already setup when i buy more disks this system has been operation for more than months Virus i had avg -x free it had some errors last week first time i have ever seen this so i removed it and installed m security essentials after a few days i got a virus and or trojan maybe vundo from running a program fix that was cleverly disguised i tried scanning with MSE to no avail so i removed the deadbeat program and reinstalled avg-x free in the recent past the pc started to exihibit some symptoms after boot and after splash screen it would stay on a black screen for about seconds while hard drive thrashed incessantly then the login screen would finally come up this is the main symptom that bugged me enough to run the scans i also had checked the windows firewall and i cant get into that its kicking back errors and wont let me access some stuff across my network looks like the virus had a field day so after putting back on avg-x free i updated and ran scan and installed updated malwarebytes and ran scan it found stuff i removed them restarted i thought teh system was clean eventhough still thrashing like mad the next day i ran them again it found more stuff and removed them a couple of them were registry entries a couple of them were just game files found bad nothing really in the system directory which you would expect to see with a virus one of the things i noted to be the virus was a file called mse or msde in the user appdata temp folder then onto the system or syswow folder no boot now on the last run of the virus scan it rebooted but it wont make it past the splash screen this is where i am stuck what i have done i have ran system repair several times and i manually ran sfc scannow a couple times and chkdsk f x i started to run kaspersky but i saw that it has problems completely manglind raid arrays so i avoided that i have tried to start in safe mode several times same symptom after splash screen goes black then reboots i have tried booting in logging mode i have tried booting in command prompt the last driver is loads is ahcix s sys it thrashes for a bit then restarts i have tried to load last known good configuration and it restarts after splash screen goes black as well one more thing i have system restore turned off since im a virus remover kind of guy not a m dependent kind of guy but i think this has shown that system restore is needed on win more than xp where to go from here

A:black screen after splash before login - restarts

ok, i realized that i can run a few basic apps from the command prompt in the repair system. so i have briefly looked through teh registry, 'regedit/s' particularly at the runonce and run, no entries found there if im looking in the right place. then i found notepad, and was able to use it as a file browser by switching it to all fiel types, and i was peering around int eh temp directory of the system32, and then i thought, why not try to run explorer.exe, when i did it kicked back the error EXPLORERFRAME.DLL is missing. try reinstalling etc..

so i wonder, could this be the problem why it wont load after the splash screen?

edit, after lookin in the system32 folder, the file EXPLORERFRAME.DLL is there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/164199-black-screen-after-splash-before-login-restarts.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Just purchased new refurb PC's for my wife and Black Screen Restart Post on Screen BEFORE I It's all I Black Screen BEFORE Post Screen on Restart could find with Windows still available They are both HP Pavilion p - w bit Desktops running Win Home Premium SP During Windows setup of PC it asked for a restart When the PC powered back up it had a black screen from the start before the Post screen I power cycled it several times with no luck Even switched monitors and video cables The next morning it started normally with perfect video I assumed the Refurb PC had a problem and set it aside for return Been setting up PC for a few days now with lots of restarts All was well until I did a restart just now There was the identical problem Power cycled the unit twice and still had the black screen Then I unplugged the PC and pressed the power button to discharge the capacitors fans ran for a few seconds When I returned power and started the PC again it functioned normally I've done quick restarts since to try and replicate the problem but it only happened that once I love these PC's and I love Win so I hate to give them up But I don't want the video freezing up on me every time I do a restart I assume now that PC is not necessarily defective Since this is occurring before the post screen I wasn't sure if it could be windows related Has anyone run across this If so and suggested solution Thanks very much sorry for the long post

A:Black Screen BEFORE Post Screen on Restart

That does sound quite strange that they both do it
The answer to your question is no, windows has nothing to do with post, power on self test as the name suggests is controlled by the bios and is the motherboard checking hardware etc when the post is complete the bios will start the boot sequence as set in the bios ie 1st boot device then 2nd device then 3rd if necessary until an OS or bootable device is found, I can think of no reason for a machine to not post other than the wrong display output being selected if the machine has more than one ie on board gfx and gfx card installed or multiple display ports present or finally an overheated gfx card that has shut itself of until cooled but having said that if it works it works so I would see how it goes

You can check bios settings for gfx outputs and I would monitor temps as well don't really know what else to suggest

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/270309-black-screen-before-post-screen-restart.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I have HP ProBook 430 G1 with pre-installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit. After clean system installation I have resized Windows partition and created new partition for Ubuntu. I also removed HP_Tools partition. After that (I don't know if it happend before resizing partition) when I start Windows and restart it from Start menu I got black screen with white short strips. I see it for about 10-15 seconds and Windows start normally. It happens after choosing Windows from boot menu but before Windows logo appears.
It only happens after system restart. It doesn't happen when I start system for the first time after turning on computer.
I uploaded photograph of the screen as an attachment.
Anyone has any ideas what causes this problem?

Now, after I was hitting F8 to start safe mode this screen appears everytime - no matter if I start or restart computer.

A:Black screen with short white strips after Windows restart

GRUB issue

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/334837-black-screen-short-white-strips-after-windows-restart.html
Relevancy 84.28%

OS - Windows 7
? x64 ?
? Windows 7 Ultimate
? full retail version
? Couple of months
? Re-installed about 3 weeks ago

? Intel i7 quad-core
? Dual-SLI NVIDIA 580 GTX
? ASUS Maximus IV Extreme
? Corsair AX 850 Watts

I built the computer myself about 3 months ago, and have had random BSOD's since I booted it up the first time. I did memtest for 2 passes with no errors, and did Driver Verifier last night with a BSOD this morning, dunno if it was because of Verifier though. I recently had a BSOD about 3 weeks ago and had to re-install Windows because it couldn't repair and I didn't have a System Restore. I also had a USB 3.0 driver that wasn't installed so I installed it, and updated my NVIDIA drivers as well to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts!

A:[SOLVED] Screen randomly goes black, Windows says BSOD on restart

Hello,

It seems your video card or its drivers are the ultimate cause of these BSODs. I do notice the nVidia drivers are still a few months behind, so you might try downloading the latest package from here: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

While it's worth a shot, I honestly doubt it will help. I'd expect a card replacement is necessary. See if you can return the card under the warranty, or at least test a different card in your system.

...Summary of the dumps:

Code:

Built by: 7600.16792.amd64fre.win7_gdr.110408-1633
Debug session time: Fri Aug 5 07:20:17.165 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:14:46.148
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dxgkrnl.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dxgkrnl.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+801f10 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x116
PROCESS_NAME: System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x116_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
BiosReleaseDate = 03/02/2011
SystemProductName = System Product Name
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????``
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Unknown_Module_ff111111`ff111111
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Unknown_Module_ff111111`ff111111
Debug session time: Thu Aug 4 17:50:10.974 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 1 days 23:42:09.958
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Unknown_Module_ff111111`ff111111
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Unknown_Module_ff111111`ff111111
Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????``
Debug session time: Tue Aug 2 17:51:21.698 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 20:25:52.570
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dxgkrnl.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Debug session time: Mon Aug 1 03:47:54.781 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 1 days 23:29:39.764
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for scmndisp.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for scmndisp.sys
Probably caused by : scmndisp.sys ( scmndisp+16d1 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0xA_scmndisp+16d1
Debug session time: Mon Aug 1 21:24:00.574 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 11:33:35.557
BiosRelease... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-screen-randomly-goes-black-windows-says-bsod-on-restart-595814.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I have a Gateway Laptop MT6728 running Windows XP. I got the blue screen one day and then after that attempted to reboot. What happens is after I get the Gateway Bios/Boot Menu Splash screen the screen goes black. I can't boot from the drive it just spins and then shuts down. I can press F2 and get into the Setup Utility and I have changed the boot settings to CD but still disk just spins in drive for a few seconds then stops.

I have reseated Ram, Taken out one stick of Ram and attemped to boot with only 1 stick.
I have reseated the CMOS.
I have reseated the Hard Drive.
In the Startup it states: No TPM or TPM has problem. ( Don't know if that is an issue.)
I have Bios Version 93.09

I have read other posts of users with the same problem, but have not found a fix, if there is one. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gateway-laptop-goes-black-after-bios-splash-screen.949070/
Relevancy 83.85%

It's back again First time making a post about it though since before I've always had system restore points to save my sorry ass - but not this time I updated to and POOF there they went Problem Immediately after the windows splash loading circle spinny thing I get a black screen with cursor across all three monitors or one Fight! Post Round 5: Splash Screen, Black monitor if I unplug the other two - doesn't really make a difference If I let the cursor idle for about two seconds it disappears then will reappear if I move the mouse I can wait five or thirty minutes it will stay black As I mentioned before the only way I was able to fix this the other billion times it's happened was to system restore The first time it happened I had to fresh install windows which I definitely know DOES fix it but it's also very impractical Hard rebooting from the black screen solves nothing as it just boots back to it Causing a load failure boot into automatic repair since I can't get into safe mode any other way also how I would get to system restore if you were wondering and entering any of the three safe mode modes does nothing The central monitor gets no input and the other two just say quot safe mode quot in each corner over a black background Keyboard input does nothing The safe mode text flickers rapidly for the first couple of seconds after it loads then disappears and will reappear if I move the mouse the cursor appearance disappearance is the same in safe mode I am running with a x on the most recent drivers I have the integrated gpu disabled in device manager There is no apparent trigger at least that I'm aware of - perhaps background updates which causes these quot blackouts quot For the love of all that is holy can any of you wizards help me with my problem p s I'm willing Post Splash Black Screen, Round 5: Fight! to spend money swapping components out to fix this I'm not especially tech-savvy but I always have suspicions that the iGPU is somehow behind all this Or maybe my motherboard Or SSD Maybe even my windows installation Last time I fresh installed windows I used a CD I burned from back during the upgrade promo but then again I always figured that windows updates - and especially having recently upgraded to windows - made your install source irrelevant UPDATE I left it on the black screen for minutes and it gave me a login screen Not sure what to make of it but I'm not going to shut it off to test it again just in case one of you suggests something that I need the computer on for

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/42251-post-splash-black-screen-round-5-fight.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hello first I appreciate anyones help on this issue I can usually fix pc promblems myyself however this one has my stumbped I run a Dell Inspiron laptop with intel chipset and maxtor hd on xp sp When the pc boots after POST it shows splash screen then when it blinks to show the welcome page mine goes to black screen with mouse arrow Does with boots mouse black into after XP splash screen w/ logo all configurations safeboot etc Did fixboot-fixmbr- no change It is possible I contract a virus before the incident however I did have AVG running and nothing was brought to my attention It seemed programs where locking up which is why I rebooted- then this problem started installed fresh xp as a second OS works fine but a little slow- I figured that rules out video issues in second OS ran antivirus- XP boots into black screen w/ mouse after splash logo Housecall and Avira- However not sure its able to scan corrupted OS thouroughly It is very important I get into the corrupted OS for personal files- however everywhere I read there is no solid sollution to what seems a common problem XP boots into black screen w/ mouse after splash logo Im thinking a file is corrupted or the registry of that OS is just not sure what to XP boots into black screen w/ mouse after splash logo do Im currently running the Windows File Protection service on second OS however don t know if it will apply to corrupted OS Any Ideas Thanks Chris

A:XP boots into black screen w/ mouse after splash logo

Well...I would run the chkdsk /r command for the troubled install, from the second install. I would also run SUPERAntiSpyware on that partition, along with Malwarebytes. There is no one program that does it all.IMO, it's always good to verify that the file system/hard drive have no known problems...before doing anthing more serious.<<It is very important I get into the corrupted OS for personal files>>Assuming that you don't have more serious problems...you can always move data files from the 1st install to the 2d install...to minimize any risk of data loss during analysis/testing.To move files which are in the Docs & Settings group, you will probably have to take ownership of the files.How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421 Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/310243/xp-boots-into-black-screen-w-mouse-after-splash-logo/
Relevancy 83.85%

this older dell computer had a fake windows security virus on dell after screen logo death of black splash it I managed to get MBAM to work and it cleared it off i thought the next day the display color was all wrong my wife was playing solitaire and said some cards where missing then it froze the only way to shut it down was a hard boot when it came back up after the dell logo it was just a black screen I tried to go into safe mode and all i got was a black screen with a little white cursor line in the top left corner none of the other options worked at all for instance if i tried to go back to the last good configuration nothing just black screen after spending the day reading I got the computer to boot from a disc and load a version of puppy linux and got it back online now I am black screen of death after dell logo splash turning to you guys and your vast knowledge I imagine that that virus corrupted a file somewhere and now windows will not boot I saw several posts that claimed that the file can be repaired and windows will work again however there was not much information on the steps for the repair While I can deal with using linux this computer is used mostly by my kids and they are used to windows Thanks in advance for your help p s I don t think this came with a restore disk when we bought it from Dell

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/364299/black-screen-of-death-after-dell-logo-splash/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hey there any help is much appreciated After a lot of headache ive realised that updating anything through windows update that requires a restart causes my computer screen to go black after the windows loading bar on startup If i leave the computer for about minutes it eventually opens the login screen and works as freeze comp on my black screen Windows update on making restart normal until i restart it again I can fix the problem by putting my windows disk in and doing a system restore but i want to fix the problem properly i would like to be able to update i have done a myriad of things to clean the computer including registry cleaning optimising startup list physically cleaning dust out of the box and fans etc as initialy i thought it was a hardware problem before i noticed it was windows update causing it thanks in advance for any help Adam p s some system specs if needed Windows Vista Home Premium Windows update making my comp freeze on black screen on restart bit ECS P M T-M Intel Core GHz gb ddr RAM geforce gs DirectX

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-update-making-my-comp-freeze-on-black-screen-on-restart-429763.html
Relevancy 82.99%

So my hard drive failed Got it replaced with a totally new one on warranty I popped it in hooked it up and began a fresh install of XP Pro The install appears to have gone just fine except when I got to restarting the computer When I start boot new after screen Xp on Blank black install splash - page it everything seems normal until the moment the splash page disappears At which point nothing happens Just a black screen No mouse icon No BSOD No pressing of any buttons except for the power switch - which has the expected result of powering down does anything I am guessing that this is a matter of me not installing the appropriate drivers for well probably a graphics card but who knows what else This Blank black screen after Xp splash page on boot - new install is SO not my area of computer expertise Anyhow drivers or not I really don t know where to start I did not get a disc of drivers from the store that sold me the comp so I don t even have a simple answer to testing that theory nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

hey guys i have a problem that i cant seem to solve tskmgr screen white cursor black no safemode or splash, with after Im not very good with computers Last night i was doing a repair install of windows xp and i accidentally shut the computer down while it was doing the second half of the repair Yeah black screen with white cursor after splash, no tskmgr or safemode stupid i know but i just want to know how to make it work again After that it when i'd reboot it would show the xp logo and then no login screen just black with a white movable cursor Ive tried doing the cd repair again with the same results there is NO safe mode and NO taskmanager just black screens forever I tried fixboot and fixmbr i tried to restore to an earlier date through the repair console Last known good configuration did nothing I tried every suggestion ive come across and even tried to load ubuntu to find my stuff which didnt show up All my things couldnt have been deleted that fast right Am i going to have to take my hd out and hook it up to a working computer to rescue my files Im posting this from a cellphone Thank you in advance

A:black screen with white cursor after splash, no tskmgr or safemode

When you stop a Repair Install or Clean Install and shut down the computer in the middle of the process it corrupts the whole process. If you booted to an Ubuntu Live CD and you could not find any of your files, then the only way from here is to do a clean install. Boot off the XP CD, Format and Install Windows.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-with-white-cursor-after-splash-no-tskmgr-or-safemode-767666.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Computer is frozen, black screen with movable mouse after splash logo. Same happens in safe mode. The log in screen never shows up. The computer sounds like its loading at that point, but nothing ever comes up. I can get into ubuntu. This happened after updating my graphics card nvidia. I have dual monitors. Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, HP Pavilion p6107c Desktop. Please help me! Thanks!

A:Computer is frozen, black screen with movable mouse after splash logo.

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-is-frozen-black-screen-with-movable-mouse-after-splash-logo.1056337/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi

When rebooting my computer, after the windows splash screen the screen just goes blank. A few days ago I put back an old Nvidia Ti4200 card into the machine (which has previously worked fine on it). It booted up with no problems. However, now it just won't boot (it's probably the second time it's had to boot with this card). The only think I can think of is that I tried installing the latest nvidia drivers which crashed (however it had not yet started copying the files).

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind managed to fix it, the VGA drivers were corrupt

A:Screen goes blank after windows splash screen

cookiemoose said:

Hi

When rebooting my computer, after the windows splash screen the screen just goes blank. A few days ago I put back an old Nvidia Ti4200 card into the machine (which has previously worked fine on it). It booted up with no problems. However, now it just won't boot (it's probably the second time it's had to boot with this card). The only think I can think of is that I tried installing the latest nvidia drivers which crashed (however it had not yet started copying the files).

Any ideas?Click to expand...

I'd say that faulty install was probably to blame. If you haven't already, try going into Safe Mode and doing a system restore (if you're using XP). Otherwise, I'm not sure at the moment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-goes-blank-after-windows-splash-screen.17629/
Relevancy 81.27%

I think this is the right place to put this So I have a friends computer here It boots up seemingly ok but after the windows splash screen in goes blank but a Screen windows splash goes screen after blank black screen but the screen is still Screen goes blank after windows splash screen on You hear the fans spin up to full speed for a bit and everything then sounds like its running fine just no picture So i did some googling and I found another person with the same issue and it was caused by a faulty video card So I put in a crappy video card i had laying around Still get the same issue Next I tried booting to the last know good configuration Same issue So i tired booting in same mode I hangs on Windows System Drivers Mup sys If it helps the video card that was in there i think is a GeForce MX I do know its a Windows xp home system Only other thing I know is its a custom built machine It was running fine until a few days ago My friend says he thinks the machine has over heated or times in the past Hope someone can help thanks nbsp

A:Screen goes blank after windows splash screen

Was the computer recently updated with a new service pack?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-goes-blank-after-windows-splash-screen.112385/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hello At this point I would only like to know everyone's opinion on whether I may be infected with a virus of somekind Here is my problem After running Chkdsk yesterday my computer loaded the windows splash screen and then went blank I am not sure if these two events are related I can here the startup sound My mouse does not show up and alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del does not work as other google searches have suggested Safe mode works fine Running with the video card driver disabled works fine Running either my main video card or 7 Blank screen screen after splash windows my onboard video card with the driver installed causes a blank screen I have dual monitors I have ran malware bytes and it finds nothing Here are some other strange symptoms Firefox beta recently stopped loading with error xc b IE bit recently started downloading html sites instead of loading them though this doesn't seem to happen in safe-mode The -bit version worked fine In safe mode when help pops up I get the error quot unable to download from windows quot Windows update also doesn't seem to even open in safe mode As stated before at this point I would like to know everyone's opinion on whether I may be infected with a virus of some kind or if it may be a different problem such as a corruption in windows Thanks

A:Blank screen after windows 7 splash screen

Hello and welcome to TSF.

Windows 7 has a very robust System Restore. Have you tried invoking System Restore? You can access System Restore from the Advanced Options menu by pressing F8 during startup, selecting Repair Your Computer from that menu, select the keyboard layout, then choose System Restore from the System Recovery Options screen which appears. Choose a restore point before the issue arose.

System Restore - Windows 7 Forums

If you're able to perform a System Restore, post new logs from DDS as this one shall be closed to place you in the queue.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/blank-screen-after-windows-7-splash-screen-550976.html
Relevancy 81.27%

XP Service Pack 3

Screensaver is enabled and so is 'Display welcome screen when coming back from screensaver'.

This works most of the time, however on a regular basis the screensaver will resume to the following screen and just stay there forever.

The only thing to do is to press the power button, at which point a popup alerts that a user is logged in, do you still want to shut down.

Thanks,

-G

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/coming-back-from-screen-saver-stuck-on-splash-screen-instead-of-welcome-screen.870983/
Relevancy 80.41%

This laptop was working fine.  i went to swap out the hard drive and that's when the nightmare began.  At times we have found that if a laptop does not like the new imaged drive we go in and change the eSATA setting.  I thought that was the case here.  I changed it to RAID and now it won't come up at all.  At first it would only build half of the splash screen.... now it builds the whole dell logo.... and goes to a black screen.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19997054
Relevancy 77.83%

I'm running pro n x64 
It black screened I  did startup repair,refresh, restore, issue came back again
I reinstalled using UEFI issue came back again
Help

A:Black Screen upon restart 8.1

Have you installed any new hardware? RAM, CPU, etc?

if so do you have a mem ok button on your motherboard?

if not, are you able to boot up in bios with any advanced settings? if so check to see if any SATA settings have been disabled
this can prevent your hard drive from booting.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586538/black-screen-upon-restart-81/
Relevancy 77.83%

Using XP, I did restart because "my computer" icon displayed ("not responding"). Black screen displayed for about 3 minutes, went to desktop for about five and then back to black. Thank you for your help.

A:Black screen after restart

can you try and boot into safe mode
tap F8 as it boots
from the menu
choose safe mode

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-after-restart.869839/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi, i'm on windows 8.1 preview,

every time i turn my pc for the first time it gives me only a black screen with the cursor on it, and then when i turn it off and on again it boots normally, i reboot and turn off again and it works perfectly until the next day when i try to use it it gives me the black screen again, and i have to turn it off and on for it to work.

Very weird problem, does anyone know how could i fix it?

I'm new btw and i apologize if it's the wrong section

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/30656-black-screen-then-restart-ok.html
Relevancy 77.83%

I don't know if this belongs in the vista catagory but anyways just wondering if anyone would know the answere to my little problem A few days ago I went to log into a game on my computer mid way through loading the game the computer froze didn't think much of it at first cause computer do freeze at times but once I tried to reboot my computer it went through the BIOS went to the black screen with the loading bar and the Microsoft Corporation under it once that finished It went to a black screen with no mouse no words no blinking line just a black screen with some light to it unlike the dull black when power is off I was able to go into safemode from BIOS by using F and restart screen, then Black from there I went into msdos prompt and used Black screen, then restart the sfc exe command it didn't fix the problem So Then I Uninstalled my nvidia driver I tried updating first but it was already up to date I restarted my computer and everything came up fine by using the starting VGA Driver But Everytime I try to put my nvidia driver back it does the black screen again So my question here is is there a conflict going on between my Driver and a Vista program or if my Driver is just shot and doesn't want to work I've also tried the System recovery System Restore even reformated Any Information would be nice

A:Black screen, then restart

I have had problems with nvidia and vista.My i.e.kept crashing and eventualy got a generic driver for nvidia from microsoft.I yesterday tried nvidia again as it was available in a windows update.But it caused problems again so I did a system restore to get the generic driver back.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/188440/black-screen-then-restart/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi,

im trying to install new windows and its good when i turn pc on, but when i restart pc i get some characters and its messy.... and sometimes its black i cant see nothing...

thats start to happening month ago... i have vga onboard connector and i have video card....

can you help, because i have to sell this tommorow and i have to install windows

A:When i restart my PC screen goes black!

Peruse these links...

Why is my screen black when I start Windows 7?

Windows 7 Black Screens of Death for Some AMD/ATI GPUs - Softpedia

windows 7 black screen after login, no desktop show up

[SOLVED] Windows 7 Loads to a black screen. Whats the - Microsoft Answers

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/210593-when-i-restart-my-pc-screen-goes-black.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Basically this is my problem A couple weeks ago I was fooling around with Ubuntu and I was trying to install it on my USB Iomega eGo External HD using my Dell Dimension E desktop I told the Ubuntu Installer to not touch my internal C drive on the Dell but apparently it didn t listen and the C drive is now screwed up Side Note Up until now after the BIOS loaded I would see a list of options to boot up from and Windows would be there All of a sudden last night Leads Setup Windows to XP Screen Blue I had not manipulated anything that list no longer appears So now when I boot up it says the following I put it in a Code box to distinguish between errors and regular text Code error no such device b bf Windows XP Setup Leads to Blue Screen -b f - - bc- f b d grub rescue gt So far I have tried booting from Windows XP Home Edition Windows XP Setup Leads to Blue Screen CDs WinXP Home was the original OS Both CDs have successfully loaded files but when it says quot Setup is starting Windows quot it leads to the following blue screen error Code A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again follow these steps Check for viruses on your computer Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated Run CHKDSK F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer Technical information STOP x B xF A A xC x x I cannot access any Windows tools such as CHKDSK nor can I press F at bootup to start with Last Known Good Configuration or boot into Windows Safe Mode because I always get that quot grub rescue gt quot error If any of you can please help that would be great and much appreciated Thank you very much Computer specs OS is before this problem occurred Dell Dimension E Desktop GB RAM Intel Pentium unknown GHz processor OS Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack nbsp

Relevancy 76.97%

Hi to all EightForums today I installed Windows bits Pro with mediacenter my problem is very familiar black screen appears but its appears only when I restart the computer and in one thing I m in luck that in black screen if I simply press the power button appears Restart. Black only on Screen which I Black Screen appears only on Restart. set to shut down computer going to shut down and on pressing again its start normally and desktop appears only in seconds takes just second after the dell logo and this is the charming thing I like on win I seen many articles and threads that out of date video driver causing this but win install my laptop all drivers by it own but as a precaution I download again win bits driver from support dell com site and again I m in luck that dell also have the win bits drivers for this laptop but when I install this driver windows says newer driver already install any suggestion would be very appreciated

A:Black Screen appears only on Restart.

You need to update your system BIOS.
Computer Boots to a Black Screen After Windows 8 Upgrade | Dell Asia Pacific

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/18303-black-screen-appears-only-restart.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi all My computer's been acting really funny lately and I was hoping someone might be able to help me out since I have no idea what's going on Recently whenever I play a game any game after a bit the screen will go black and the computer restarts on its own for no apparent reason The restart screen game and Black during computer I use is an AMD Athlon ghz MB RAM and Radeon pro I have the latest drivers installed I've Black screen and restart during game also ran a virus check using avast used adaware to scan for spyware and adware and defragmented my harddrive It started acting funny only recently I know there might be a conflict somewhere but I can't figure out what the heck is causing it to do that Here is my hijackthis log to give you an idea of what's running Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS System Ati evxx Black screen and restart during game exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C WINDOWS System CTHELPER EXE C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C WINDOWS SM BG EXE C Program Files iPod bin iPodManager exe C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashmaisv exe C PROGRA PANICW POP-UP PSFree exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS System wuauclt exe C Documents and Settings Sam Desktop hjtlog exe c hijackthis hijackthis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http offsearch cc index php v amp aff R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride new-search net x-google net O - Hosts file is located at C WINDOWS nsdb hosts O - Hosts new-search net O - Hosts x-google net O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Core Library - E C FD A- B - - ED-E F ACD A - C WINDOWS System KDP e dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run CTHelper CTHELPER EXE O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run Kazaa Download Accelerator Updater regsvr s C WINDOWS System kdpupd dll O - HKLM Run SM BG C WINDOWS SM BG EXE O - HKLM Run iPodManager C Program Files iPod bin iPodManager exe O - HKLM Run KernelFaultCheck systemroot system dumprep -k O - HKLM Run avast C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe O - HKLM Run ashMaiSv C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashmaisv exe O - HKCU Run PopUpStopperFreeEdition quot C PROGRA PANICW POP-UP PSFree exe quot O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe quot background O - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader lnk C Program Files Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exe O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - Extra context menu item amp Google Search - res C Program Files Google GoogleToolbar dll cmsearch html O - Extra context menu item Backward Links - res C Program Files Google GoogleToolbar dll cmbacklinks html O - Extra context menu item Cached Snapshot of Page - res C Program Files Google GoogleToolbar dll cmcache html O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to... Read more

A:Black screen and restart during game

Usually these problems are cured by updating to the latest drivers for chipset\graphics inc; DirectX, also there are very few games get released without needing a patch almost immediately to fix that kind of problem and I have to say its normally ATI drivers are worst for it (no I'm not a Nvidia devotee I run systems with each in, just pointing out a fact) the VPU recovery thingy I find causes more problems than it cures, but they promise the driver that's out in a couple of weeks will cure all problems forever, well it is 60Mb in size and requires .NET to be installed to run, just another 28Mb, hope the majority of ATI owners are on broadband!

The latest Catalyst was released 2 days ago, try it if you hav'n't already.

Are there some games more prone than others, trying to find out if OpenGL is the problem or D3D, ATI have a poor record with GL for some reason.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/black-screen-and-restart-during-game-13234.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Setup (win7 ultimate 64bit) went fine until its first restart, then it took 10 minutes or so from bios to black screen to login.

After login, everything is fine and smooth. Installed latest nvidia driver for 8800gt win7 64bit, installed antivirus and spybot s&d. restarted.

Again with the 10-minute-black screen. I can't have this.

I have winxp 32bit on the same hard drive but different partition.

I use two monitors but tried using just one and still have the same problem.

I have updated my bios (gigabyte motherboard), still have the same problem.

What is causing this problem? I'm not willing to upgrade/downgrade/change video card, motherboard, cpu or hard drives. Does not make any sense. I only want to try win7 since it's "faster" but I'm perfectly content with winxp sp3. Why is winxp not having this problem? geez.

Can anyone help or should I just give up on win7?

Thanks,
-Sen

A:black screen after first setup restart

Check Diagnostics>Performance log to see what is causing delay: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools

System restore to before this started, then add those apps/driver listed back in one at a time with restore point and time to check performance after each.

Likely Video driver. Windows 7 installer/Updates should have the latest WHQL since MS paid bill to develop them, try any beta or Vista, then try Vista driver in Vista compatibility mode.

Could be AV. Suggest Avast free home for lightest weight least intrusive.

Only use the basic Spybot scan function, not realtime, internet or tea-timer. Restore to before install to reinstall if so.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/46617-black-screen-after-first-setup-restart.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Recently my computer has Screen, Freeze, Black Restart been freezing at certain times I ve come to think it must be a problem either with my hardware or my windows but I thought it would be best to get more expert info instead of diving head Freeze, Black Screen, Restart first into the problem The main problem that occurs is the random freezing My computer will suddenly freeze and I would have to manually restart it in order for it to work again I have noticed that the frequency of the freezes start to decrease after a few manual restarts via power button but it can still tend to freeze later during use Sometimes the screen will freeze and after a few seconds will be followed by a grayish black screen and then a restart At certain times when I recover from a restart Windows will provide an error report Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode BCP E DC BCP BCP C ED BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Users gene AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml Any help in diagnosing the problem and fixing it will be appreciated

A:Freeze, Black Screen, Restart

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)No installation required.Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/375357/freeze-black-screen-restart/
Relevancy 76.97%

* XP Home edition
* infected with Internet Security 2010 (possibly other malware)
* ComboFun run, said found root-kit, and proceeded to restart (warning against interruption)
* upon restarting, after the Windows logo, the PC entered a black-screen state with the CPU fan on high, and apparently froze that way.
* Force-shutdown, restart, F8....no choice on list yields other than black-screen state with the CPU fan on high.
....the REAL problem here is a password-protected Documents and Settings user-account which is now inaccessible. (The password is known, but I don't know the procedure to open the folder when the hard drive is attached as a slave in another machine--help mucho appreciated.)

A:Black-screen after ComboFix restart

Hi, did combofix ask you to note down rootkit file names? If so, please post them.For everyone who is reading this:Please note: ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for unsupervised use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Restart your computer Before Windows loads, you will be prompted to choose which Operating System to start Use the up and down arrow key to select Microsoft Windows Recovery Console You must enter which Windows installation to log onto. Type 1 and press enter. At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following bolded text, and press Enter after each line:

set allowallpaths = true Note, if this gives you an error message, just continue with the next line.

dir c:\qoobox

Please list all content that comes up after this command.
At the next prompt type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

exitYour computer will now restart.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/287104/black-screen-after-combofix-restart/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi,

My laptop seems to have a hardware issue, but I can't figure out what's going on.

A book fell smack on top of my laptop, and ever since the following happens. After a minute or 2 after starting, it will return a black screen and restart. This happens with two different internal harddrives that I swapped out, as well as with a recovery disk. One of the drives is a little faster in starting up than the other, and the system will actually boot. With the other drive, the system won't even get to booting up completely. I can't get into safe mode. I managed to start up completely once, and shut down successfully, but that didn't solve the problem.

So it doesn't seem to be a drive or software issue. What could be wrong here?

HP Pavilion DV6000 with Windows Vista home edition.

Thanks,

Henri

A:Black screen and continuous restart with any HD

The CPU heatsink being partially knocked off is the first thing that springs to mind. After that, any one of a number of loose connections or dislocated hardware, up to and including a cracked motherboard, but I think motherboard is probably a worst case scenario. Does the LCD panel continue to work during the reboots..? Because I'm sort of curious as to how you missed that with the book.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-and-continuous-restart-with-any-hd.151243/
Relevancy 76.97%

I don't have the problem when I first start it.

I ran my anti-virus and anti-spyware.

I did an sfc /scannow with the vista CD and the driver CD.

I still have the problem.

Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 76.97%

Have Windows xp on a HP Pavilion. While not a big deal I have a nuisance that if I go through a Restart everything goes fine but then the screen goes black and the system won't reboot. I have to turn off and then turn on.

I think I fixed once before by modifying something perhaps in Display or even could have been in Registry.............can't recall.

Pete

A:Solved: Black screen on Restart

maybe this was too much of a challenge?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-black-screen-on-restart.337877/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi guys First time on this forum so sorry if its posted in the wrong location I updated my CPU Mobo and RAM about month month half ago now all has been working fine up until last week I come home from work turned on my PC and it gets stuck in a restart loop My monitor is ON and it makes a weird noise when starting it does this for about - seconds then restarts again and again and again I did do a little overclocking when I bought the components but the temperature was around - and I thought this was fine But that was almost a month ago Also I left it in the restart loop for about minutes yesterday and it finally booted and let me logged in I left it for about minutes and tried searching for a solution but was unsuccessful and it finally crashed again without an error message I hope this is OK thanks Aaron

A:Black screen and restart loop

Hi Aaronn

My name is Vishal and i work for the Social Media and Community Team at dell. May ia know which operating system system do you have on this system. Also the kind of system behaviour you have mentioned is generally related to hardware the most common could be overheating, a bad processor, bad motherboard, bad RAM. The next time your system restarts, and you get the menu and the prompt to continue booting normally, see if there is an option that says "Disable Automatic Restart On System Failure", or something similar. If you boot with this option, then the next time your system "resets", you should see a Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD). The BSOD will provide a particular "STOP" Error code, which will help us identifying the problem better.

Thanks
Dell-Vishal S
Social Media Responder

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-and-restart-loop-658189.html
Relevancy 76.97%

So the problem starts with the possibly related issue of my speakers dying The loss of sound caused me to restart my computer The computer however gets stuck on quot Windows is Shutting Down quot forcing me to press the button and turn it off and back on again I immediately get the typical quot windows not starting successfully quot I get the options of Safe Mode Safe Mode with Networking Safe Mode with Command Prompt Last Known Good configuration your most Black = Solved: Screen Restart recent settings that worked Start Windows Normally None of the Safe Modes work I will let it scroll until it stops and then hit escape where it will just stay at the current screen leaving me to look at the letters file names Both Last Known Good Configuration and Start Windows Normally have the same result as each other They will go through the Windows XP load screen Solved: Restart = Black Screen and then go to a black screen My phone which is plugged into the computer will start to charge This also happens after I hit escape in safe mode Yet all I get is a black screen Note the first time that I got the error message yesterday Starting Windows Normally worked fine and Solved: Restart = Black Screen I got my sound back which died again about an hour later causing me to manually restart and not be able to get back into my computer I have not installed any new hardware recently My computer is a Dell Dimension Desktop that I got about and a half years ago I have had a hard drive replacement about one and a half to two years ago since my original crashed The only changes that I have made to it from the original computer is installed an extra MB of RAM and the replacement hard drive Also I don t normally turn my computer off I usually leave it running I am not sure if this matters but every detail helps I hope So overall my problem is I ve got a black screen that I can t seem to get past to get into my computer Any help is greatly appreciated Thank you for reading nbsp

Relevancy 76.97%

I ve been trying to help my grandma fix her computer unfortunately my grandpa took admin rights to the computer and blocked me out of it but I figured I d look to see if anyone on here knew how to fix the auto screen restart and black issues so far its been restarting on its own perhaps because of updates or other we cant find out right now because the last time it restarted it returned with the auto restart and black screen black windows auto restart and black screen background and nothing else task manager comes up but crashes if you try to do anything with it I tried restarting the computer and it gets as far as the login after that the loading screen takes forever and it goes to a black screen only mouse is visible task manager is still available but again it crashes if you try to run anything I was told that Windows was reinstalled recently I also was told there are battery issues with this computer idk if thats true or auto restart and black screen not but a new battery is on its way A virus might be the cause but even after the reinstall it doesnt make any sense unless it got infected again maybe the computer gets corrupted when it restarts and updates and that why I have issues now I dont know any help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481399/auto-restart-and-black-screen/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi I'm new to the forum I am writing this post because I need your help Today restarted the computer while playing this game after H of the minidump file Zippyshare com - - - rar Frames tested memtest positive Test framework for Windows memory restart; BSOD Black / and screen diagnostic system also positive Bios latest uploaded Latest drivers BSOD Black screen and restart; / for your graphics card loaded DirectX uploaded Cooling fan and large did not help that BSOD Black screen and restart; / the computer is restarted ie air direct to your computer Graphics card tested two times by the computer Power was edited times in another and it gave nothing The processor that changed to a weak but AMD and tested it gave nothing Temperatures in order HD Tune Scan ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting Health http imageshack us photo my-images uuzna png Error Scan http imageshack us photo my-images tuu k png Any ideas Also wants to try the system again without installing drivers or would turn off the computer but I do not know if this will help

A:BSOD Black screen and restart; /

Hi.

Follow these steps and upload here the crash\bsod files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/203490-bsod-black-screen-restart.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi... my PC hangs up and i restarted and i get a black after the monitors displags thr brand logo... dvi and No signal

Tried solution:
Clear CMOS
removed CMOS batterry
Reseated all hardware including video card,ram sticks and hard drive along with SATA
done a bunch of resets
Clean VideoCard,Heatsinker and Ram sticks
trjed exchanging ram stick placjng

Any help pls? im sorry if i posted in the wrong section

A:Pc Freezes and screen goes black after restart

Is this a recently built system ???

If so reseat the CPU and make sure the thermal paste is properly spread and the fans are properly installed

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/289456-pc-freezes-screen-goes-black-after-restart.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Very frustrating problem I'm having. I have a multi-monitor setup (not sure if this is the cause of this issue as I have multi monitors on my other machines).

Sometimes an application will freeze (hey, it happens) and I'll do a ctrl-alt-del, then hit task manager.

Then everything goes black.

I can see my mouse and can move it around, but that's it. I cant see anything else, and they keyboard seems to have no effect. In the end, I have to power down my machine from the power button.

I've tested this a few times...it's not just task manager. It's ANYTHING (change password, switch user, etc). Just goes all black. Not pitch black, but the screens go completely dark but I can see and move my (white) mouse icon.

This sucks! Help!

A:Screen(s) go black (except mouse) - requires restart!

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/screen-s-go-black-except-mouse-requires-restart-352861.html
Relevancy 76.11%

So I just finished building my new computer last week, and I have a strange problem where, every morning when I turn it on I get a black screen, keyboard and mouse don't light up but all the fans spin and the GPU LED lights up, so I turn it off and on again and everything works fine? is it a motherboard problem? or HDD?

A:new pc, turn on black screen, restart and everything's fine

would be nice if you posted some specs about this pc, like the power supply (brand name, model and wattage), motherboard, cpu, case, memory, hard drive(s) ....ect

http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/new-pc-turn-black-screen-restart-everythings-fine-276078/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello I have used malwarebytes in safe mode to successfully remove a computer After Black Removal/Restart Malwarebytes Screen riddled with the dreaded quot windows security alert-pop-up and Black Screen After Malwarebytes Removal/Restart try to make you pay money to buy fake spy-ware removal-virus Black Screen After Malwarebytes Removal/Restart quot I now keep it on peoples computers and run the update and scan periodically to keep the spy-ware at bay Yesterday I ran this software on a stable computer running xp and found a few security objects a log was created Black Screen After Malwarebytes Removal/Restart which i paid no attention to and a restart was performed Upon restart I received the Dell Bios screen for a few seconds F Setup F Boot something and then a blank BLACK SCREEN with a blinking cursor I powered down several times or so to the exact same result I tried to get into the F F screen without luck as well I finally popped in the Windows XP disc and was able to get the thing to load the windows startup I chose to install not repair at first agreed with F to the agreement and then chose to repair the copy of windows it had found I made it all the way through the installation disc entered in the key etc and then at restart BLACK SCREEN blinking cursor I am at a loss on how to proceed If anyone knows what has happened hear please share some advice here I need to get this thing fixed ASAP gt Thank you for your help

A:Black Screen After Malwarebytes Removal/Restart

Black screen, blinking cursor...is typically indicative of a need to run the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console.Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503 Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/287056/black-screen-after-malwarebytes-removalrestart/
Relevancy 76.11%

My computer is messing up bad I don t have the original CDs and I can t afford a screen issues, black and down goes please Shut just help! restart new OS My project for class is due in three weeks and if my computer gives out I m sunk Here s what s wrong Every time I restart my computer it doesn t want to boot back up The minute it shuts down it stays that way The screen just goes black When I shut it down or restart it I m afraid every time could be my last reboot One day it s not gonna come back Situations arise and restarting is inevitable I don t get it It hasn t been doing this before but it has been doing it for a few weeks Either when I shut it down or if I restart the screen just goes black Also if I try and play any games or adjust the display or video card preferences or setting it does the same thing Screen goes black and I m forced to shut it down which results in another black screen It eventually comes back I just have to keep turning it off and turning it back on over and over And it s getting harder and harder getting it to boot What s the deal When I try and play games it goes black but I can still here the sound Is it my hard drive or my video card Shut down and restart issues, please help! screen just goes black Or is it some other issue I haven t considered nbsp

Relevancy 76.11%

my pc screen turn black after restart/reboot.the only thing i can see is the white cursor (arrow).very bad for me.i try to repair with my windows xp cd without sucess.if i reformat i lost my work(pictures,music,etc...someone knows the mistake?some tips are welcome.thanks for the attention.

Relevancy 76.11%

So i had to reinstall Windows 8 on my PC, and as usual i install Drivers and such first. Normally it worked, now after i restart the Computer to finish the Driver Updates, i get Black Screen after Windows 8 loading Screen. Can someone help?

A:AMD Driver Update. Black Screen after Restart.

If the harddrive is busy/active youll have to wait it out.

Sometimes theres allot to do and unfortunately its doing it while there is no display making you believe something's wrong.

If the harddrive is calm, and there is still no video, then you'll have to start the computer in safe mode.

Depending on your laptop this may be easy or difficult depending on how new your laptop is and the boot speed..

Get into safe mode and uninstall your video drivers, then reboot.

Safe mode is usually entered by repeatedly pressing F8 during boot, but on newer systems it moves too fast..

Others have has success wailing on the spacebar during boot causing windows to respond as if a boot error and gives you the diagnostics option and safemode.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/25396-amd-driver-update-black-screen-after-restart.html
Relevancy 76.11%

hey guys, i'm having a nightmare with my pc. Kept getting an annoying dialogye bow popping up headed wscntfy.exe and it quoted 0x80000009 and something about not being able to read the memory. i searched for the error and discovered that it was infact a virus. I ran malwarebytes to try and eradicate the problem, it found 28 infections, all of which it was able to delete bar one which required the pc to be restarted. When i booted the pc all i get is a black screen, it comes up after the windows loading page. I can get to the safe mode options page but when i try to load safe mode i get the same black screen. Can somebody please help me as this is extremely annoying

A:my pc wont restart, just shows black screen

Are you running two video cards? If so this might be why this is happening in safe mode. Try changing to the onboard video card and see if that helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-pc-wont-restart-just-shows-black-screen.823411/
Relevancy 76.11%

I have a Dell desktop computer with Vista installed. I bought it 2/2009. In July 2010, I went to get on the computer, and apparently it restarted for some reason but all I had was a black screen with a flashing cursor. I called Dell and they had me turn off the computer, unplug all external hardware plus the ether net cord. Then I unplugged the power cord from the back and pressed the power button for 10 seconds. Then I plugged the cord back in, powered it up, and it worked. The only problem is that every time it reboots, that is exactly what I have to do. Is there any way to fix this permanently???

A:After restart, black screen and flashing cursor...

holding the button down with no power is to discharge the energy on the main board and power supply, don't think it does anything else, is your system well grounded? if so then it could be a hardware problem, but Dell techs would know best

If you are brave and want to take a shot in the dark you could try a factory reset. On startup screen with the Dell logo , hold down Ctrl key, and at the same time tap F11 over and over. If you are quick then next screen will be a blue screen which will prompt you and ask if you wish to continue with factory reset. Click yes and continue ...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/after-restart-black-screen-and-flashing-cursor-515398.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello guys,

I really hope that you can help me. Unfortunately I can't even write this message on my Win7 notebook as every time I try to do so, it restarts. I managed to save the minidump out of the Windows folder for you to analyze. I would GREATLY appreciate any help.

I've tried formatting and fresh installation many times, no help. My notebook restarts constantly that it reaches a point I can no longer use it. I'm using a Packard Bell TJ75 running Win 7 Ultimate.

Please help me! Thank you!!!

A:Sudden black screen and restart (with Minidump)

Hi and Welcome to SF honeybee89

Quote:
STOP 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Usual causes: Memory corruption, Hardware (memory in particular), Installing a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or a failure after installing it, 3rd party firewall, Device drivers, SCSI/network/BIOS updates needed, Improperly seated cards, Incompatible storage devices, Overclocking, Virus scanner, Backup tool, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack

As you can see, there are a lot of causes for this particular stop code 7F.

In looking through your drivers, I see that you have AVG anti virus installed. AVG is known to cause BSOD, on some systems. I suggest that you uninstall it while trouble shooting using the uninstall tool > Info > Tool (32bit) - Tool (64 bit). If you have AVG Identity Protection installed, uninstall it also >Info > Tool. I recommend that you install MSE and make sure Windows Firewall is turned on.

Please remove Zone Alarm,
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
Run system files check:
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Also, please download third party called memtestx86, burn it to CD using ISO Recorder v3 and let it run for at least 7 passes.
http://www.carrona.org/memdiag.html (Instruction by expert USASMA)

Let us know if you need further help

Tuan

Code:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\TUANTR~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$DI00.382\070110-46535-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*e:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7600.16539.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100226-1909
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02e01000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`0303ee50
Debug session time: Fri Jul 2 03:07:01.710 2010 (UTC + 7:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:29:36.302
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7F, {8, 80050031, 6f8, fffff80002e39e58}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+b2 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/94795-sudden-black-screen-restart-minidump.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello,I run Dual Boot XP and Vista and had a restore point problem in Vista.Please read following topic:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/132281/vista-restore-point/After applying the change in the XP registry from time to time (NOT every time) when running XP and requesting a restart generates a black screen and systems reboots without showing the usual "Saving your settings" and "Shutting down" windows. Any recommendations?Thanks in advance.

A:Requesting Xp Restart = Black Screen And Reboot

I'd suggest that you revert back to the original registry setting and test to see if that's the cause (if it doesn't do it anymore, then it's likely that the registry edit is causing it).

Could you please post a link to the article where you found the registry edit?

In general, a black screen boot on XP usually involves either a corruption in the boot sector of your drive, a failing hard drive, or bad/corrupt video drivers. I'd suggest visiting the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and downloading a diagnostic utility from there (usually free). I'd also suggest downloading the latest version of your video drivers, uninstalling the current ones (in both Add/Remove Programs and Device Manager), then rebooting and installing the new one's.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/132659/requesting-xp-restart-black-screen-and-reboot/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi this is my first post here Thanks in advance to anyone checking this thread out or offering help I really appreciate it Recently specifically since days ago I have been experiencing sudden monitor blackouts when playing a video game Shortly after the black screen the computer restarts itself This occurs without warning of any sort The game is nothing restart screen Black sudden Error, the computer can't handle and I even had all the settings down to lowest for extra measure Path of Exile in case anyone is curious So the blackout-restart thing occured a few more times before I decided to do a system recovery I used Dell Backup and Recovery Manager to restore it to the way it was years ago by accident That was when it was first unboxed and installed with W That means I currently have free space Even then the black screen restart thing still happened The problem still wasn't fixed The only bright side is that my computer runs faster now So far it only occured when I was playing that game but I feel that will change soon So I came here for help Here is the error message followed by details to the problem Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown Problem details Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode BCP FFFFFA E BCP FFFFF FFBDC BCP FFFFFFFFC A BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Users EFG AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml Read our privacy statement online http go microsoft com fwlink linkid amp clcid x If the online privacy statement is not available please read our privacy statement offline C Windows system en-US erofflps txt Here are my system specs Manufacturer Black screen Error, sudden restart Dell Model Precision T Processor Intel Xeon CPU E Ghz Ghz RAM GB GPU Quadro workstation Type bit I'll also attach some relevant files Only one can be uploaded here The other is too large nbsp WER- - Black screen Error, sudden restart sysdata xml nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads Thanks again

A:Black screen Error, sudden restart

Welcome,
If the shutdowns only happen when you are playing that game I suspect that there might be a heat problem. The system shuts itself off without warning or error message in those cases.
Make sure that your OS, programs, drivers and security program are up to date. See if any other activity, other than playing a game, will shut the system down.

Dick

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566494/black-screen-error-sudden-restart/
Relevancy 76.11%

I have spent many hours the past week trying unsucessfully to install Windows Vista I have downloaded and installed all the most recent drivers and BIOS updates for all of my hardware I have run the Vista Upgrade Advisor and it says that my system should be good to go and that there are no serious issues The only item on the quot Task List quot is to download Vista drivers for a wireless networking adapter I have in the system to be installed after I have tried to do an upgrade from Windows XP and a Full Install of Vista with the same results I start the install and everything goes smoothly installer unpacking files and getting ready for installation until right after the first reboot The system restarts and tries to boot into Vista Black Vista - - Screen First Restart/Reboot to finish the installation but after the first screen with the green progress bar my screen goes black and Vista - Black Screen - First Restart/Reboot nothing happens after that I have tried leaving it running for over an hour in hopes that something was still Vista - Black Screen - First Restart/Reboot going on There doesn t seem to be any HD activity going on So I assume there is some sort of driver Vista - Black Screen - First Restart/Reboot issue with my hardware of something causuing problems I have tried to boot Vista into Safe Mode but the load stops on the file quot disks sys quot and basically freezes there I have tried to remove all unnecessary hardware from the system Sound Card Fire Wire card Networking adapters and then re-running the installer with no success I have tried to install and old Video Card and re-run the installer but got no better results At this point I have spent over hours playing around with Vista and have not been able to get past this issue No matter what I try it stops in the same exact spot The only difference now is that it freezes with the progress bar still on the screen instead of going to a quot Black Screen quot Any ideas of anything else I could try Here are my System Specs AMD Barton CPU MSI K N MS- Mobo nVidia geForce gt gigs of Memory Plenty of free Hard Drive space nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

I just recently rid my laptop of viruses with the help of boopme. However, I'm having some issues when starting it up. 3 things will either happen:
1)Stay stuck at the "Compaq" screen
2)Go passed the "Compaq" screen but then to a black screen with a blinking dash at the top left corner (If I wait long enough, like 3 long minutes, Windows 7 will eventually start up.)
3)Or go passed the "Compaq" screen, to the black screen with dash, but eventually instead of starting up, it will say something like "Operating system not found"

A:When I restart, it still goes to the black screen with the dash for like 3 full minutes

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/435286/when-i-restart-it-still-goes-to-the-black-screen-with-the-dash-for-like-3-full-minutes/
Relevancy 75.68%

I was doing an update on System Mechanic software and used the restart prompt. My system black screened with no cursor. Nothing but black, no flashes of anything.  I've tried resetting battery, bios, recovery dics won't boot, no safe mode, cable to other monitor. I at a loss. This was not a Windows 10 upgrade. I even tried booting with My windows 10 install usb....nothing.   Is My hard drive toast. I've reset the hard drive and the memory cards. I'm running a solid state HD.  Ideas

A:Black screen on restart, no cursor , just orange network, bl...

#HPExpertDayRefer:http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674 and http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922 and http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443463

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Black-screen-on-restart-no-cursor-just-orange-network/td-p/5626067
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi all I hope someone can help I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L with Windows XP When I try to start up after the toshiba welcome it goes straight to a black screen prompting me to either start up normally or last config Once entered it goes to the Windows Welcome page with the green boxes flashing across at the bottom then briefly goes to a blue screen with screen, blue, Laptop restart) won't startup (black white writing switches off straight away and re-starts It does this Laptop won't startup (black screen, blue, restart) with all option in the black screen safe mode with networking etc I have tried to tap F to get into DOS and this didnt work Neither did F or F at start up I am sure I have not loaded any new software recently and cannot seem to even get to a point to do a system restore Admittedly my recovery CD is at another location Is there anything I can try to solve this Many thanks BlueY nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-wont-startup-black-screen-blue-restart.664844/
Relevancy 75.68%

Today I had my my computer cut display to my monitor twice and restart. Once was while internet browsing on google chrome and another when I was playing total war atilla. Any help would be much appreciated. I attached the dump file and a picture of blue screen viewer with the file opened.

A:Black Screen followed by restart while internet browsing and gaming

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/368116-black-screen-followed-restart-while-internet-browsing-gaming.html