Windows Support Forum

Black Screen of Death with Mouse Cursor before Login Screen

Q: Black Screen of Death with Mouse Cursor before Login Screen

The issue started a few hours ago when I was playing League of Legends specifically when the game has finished its loading and crashed to Desktop which is a common problem on my laptop As usual I would restart the game but before I could do that explorer exe Mouse Cursor Login before Screen Black of Death Screen with crashed my entire Desktop has turned to the familiar transparent whitish filter before the quot Explorer exe has crashed quot message popped out which was peculiar at the time because this is Black Screen of Death with Mouse Cursor before Login Screen the first time it had happened So I allowed the program to restart it didn't So I shut down via holding down the power button and rebooted the laptop It went into Startup Repair and did its automated repair so I let it repair while I did my stuff When I returned the repair had completed and it booted the laptop into the infamous Black Screen of Death with a movable mouse cursor This is right before I could log on to my user account and I decided to search for solutions initially on Google using an available PC Most of it didn't work for starters booting up to Safe Mode Safe Mode with Networking and Last known Good Configuration brought me to the same movable mouse cursor with black screen combo Safe Mode with Command Prompt has the same problem and the Command Prompt does not appear After which I accessed the Repair menu with the F button right after the BIOS loads and tried every option First Repair Your Computer did not work as it couldn't find any problems after the first initial repair it did System Restore didn't not have any Restore Points which is strange because I do have several restore points prior to this issue happened I skipped the Memory option and used the Command Prompt to do a sfc exe scannow to detect any problems according to one solution I found but it gave the message telling me there is another repair job that requires my laptop to be restarted At first I did went back and did the sfc command no luck After all that I went to try the Ctrl Alt Del and starting explorer exe as a new process but the task manager does not appear Not in any bootable modes with the mouse cursor present At the moment I am out of ideas and solutions it really is starting to drive me against the wall because this laptop has a lot of information I need I do not have access to my backups or recovery disks as I'm currently overseas I hope I can hear from any users here about what to do My laptop Acer Aspire TimelineX TG Windows Home Edition x I do not have any USB devices connected to my laptop except for my mouse and that's about it I will try my best to add on more missing info if pointed out thank you very much

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Black Screen of Death with Mouse Cursor before Login Screen

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Black Screen of Death with Mouse Cursor before Login Screen

having the same problem here on my toshiba satellite L655-1je laptop. did everything srwalpha did but to no avail. hence, bumping this up for help pls...

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/192503-black-screen-death-mouse-cursor-before-login-screen.html
Relevancy 93%

Hi I have an office desktop pc HP COMPAQ ELITE running -bit Windows I was manually running Windows update and manually updating some of my drivers when the pc suddenly turned itself off I turned it back on and now it doesn't get to the login screen anymore It just displays screen mouse movable cursor with Black appears screen login before a Black screen with movable mouse cursor before login screen appears black screen with a movable mouse cursor although I can't really click anything or even press any keys on the keyboard I tried loading into the recovery environment but it only gives me the option to restore my hard drive to factory settings which I don't want since I have lots of important files in it I've searched around the forums but I can't find a problem that is EXACTLY like mine By the way my pc is on a dual boot mode with an Ubuntu and that is how I'm able to access this forum right now The dual boot was set-up by the employee that I replaced so I have no idea how this is set-up Any help would be appreciated -Ron

A:Black screen with movable mouse cursor before login screen appears

Firstly, boot into the Linux operating system, and then create a backup of all important files and data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/300316-black-screen-movable-mouse-cursor-before-login-screen-appears.html
Relevancy 90.52%

Hello I have built a PC and it Mouse Screen of Black Cursor with Death has been running perfectly until today I have windows installed and I seem Black Screen of Death with Mouse Cursor to have a bad virus that will not allow me to boot onto the desktop in normal mode When I type in my username password I get two black screens with a white mouse cursor I am able to run the task manager but that is it I am able to boot to my desktop in safe mode This happened today when I got some malware after downloading a free software from CNET I had a bunch of spamware after the download so I decided to download some anti malware software I downloaded admcleaner and ran a scan Once the scan was done it prompted me to restart my computer to successfully erase the malware I did so and upon the next restart I was stuck with black screens with simply a mouse cursor I did a hard restart and the same thing happens Can anyone please help me with this problem I have run a Mcafee virus scan and found nothing I have also ran a malwarebytes anit malware scan and found nothing I need to get this computer back up and running Thanks Zac

A:Black Screen of Death with Mouse Cursor

Zac;   You should be good if you got the task manager open.  You should see some tabs at the top of the page.  If not, look in the bottom left corner of task manager.  Click on more info,  and then click on the startup tab.  look at the programs that started.  you should be able to get into one that will help you restore to your last backup.  I found that ccleaner was working and allowed me to restore my system to an earlier date when my computer was running well.  You will likely have to reload programs that were loaded in after that restore point BUT you will not loose any personal data.

Shanty01

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565834/black-screen-of-death-with-mouse-cursor/
Relevancy 89.28%

Well my dad just brought me a computer from his business to repair the mouse after login. Black screen cursor with problem is as i mentioned in the thread Black screen with mouse cursor after login. title is a black screen after login with the mouse cursor I've researched this problem and found that i had to start the task manager ctrl alt delete and either close down explorer exe or start a new task which was explorer in the task manager My window backround appeared after i started the explorer and so did all my icon Everything looked fine so i restarted the desktop Same problem occured again black screen with a mouse cursor so i started explorer again in the task manager the problem is that the computer won't let me do anything because there no task running I tried to go to the control panel and do a system restore but it gave me an error when i clicked on the control panel saying quot no such interface was found quot i tried downloading a anti malware program but the download failed because it was blocked I can't even go to the regedit nothing seems to be functioning And to make things worse my dad doesn't have the window CD to restore it through the CD what can i do

A:Black screen with mouse cursor after login.

Quote: Originally Posted by cesar3594

Well my dad just brought me a computer from his business to repair, the problem is as i mentioned in the thread title; is a black screen after login with the mouse cursor. I've researched this problem and found that i had to start the task manager (ctrl + alt + delete) and either close down explorer.exe or start a new task which was explorer in the task manager.. My window backround appeared after i started the explorer and so did all my icon.. Everything looked fine so i restarted the desktop.. Same problem occured again, black screen with a mouse cursor... so i started explorer again in the task manager.. the problem is that the computer won't let me do anything.. because there no task running... I tried to go to the control panel and do a system restore but it gave me an error when i clicked on the control panel saying "no such interface was found" i tried downloading a anti malware program but the download failed because it was blocked.. I can't even go to the regedit.. nothing seems to be functioning..

And to make things worse my dad doesn't have the window 7 CD to restore it through the CD. what can i do?

UPDATE: I tried running it under window safe mode with networking it didn't work. My desktop couldn't even show up, I tried checking the disk (chkdsk /f) but it said i didn't have enough admin power or somethng like that. I manage to find a window 7 CD.. Going to see if i can repair it through the CD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/387240-black-screen-mouse-cursor-after-login.html
Relevancy 89.28%

Today I tried turning on pc and run into a wall After windows ends loading instead of user logging screen I get black screen with just mouse cursor Alt ctrl del doesn't work trying to boot up safe mode ends the same can't recover since windows can't see any recovery points I didn't install any new software before it happened except for windows installing some new updates Recently I had issues with windows updates causing shut downs and blue screens but nothing so serious I couldn't deal with it I've red couple of threads about similar problem and so far I found on screen Black cursor login mouse with one that could fix the issue Windows boots to black screen with cursor before login Black screen on login with mouse cursor screen after - Microsoft Community the only priblem is when I try to set Black screen on login with mouse cursor full power to all users i get this message quot No mapping between account names and Security ID's was done quot and at this point I'm just stuck or I'm just mistaken thinking it might help If there is a way to fix it No mapping between account names and Security ID's was done with cmd since it's basically the only tool I have access to or if there is totally different way to deal with it I would be very gratefull for any help

A:Black screen on login with mouse cursor

Quote: Originally Posted by Daimio

Today I tried turning on pc and run into a wall. After windows ends loading instead of user logging screen I get black screen with just mouse cursor.

Alt+ctrl+del doesn't work, trying to boot up safe mode ends the same, can't recover since windows can't see any recovery points.

I didn't install any new software before it happened except for windows installing some new updates.

Recently I had issues with windows updates causing shut downs and blue screens but nothing so serious I couldn't deal with it.

I've red couple of threads about similar problem and so far I found one that could fix the issue ( Windows 7 boots to black screen with cursor before login screen after - Microsoft Community)
the only priblem is when I try to set full power to all users i get this message: "No mapping between account names and Security ID's was done." and at this point I'm just stuck or I'm just mistaken thinking it might help.

If there is a way to fix it ( No mapping between account names and Security ID's was done.) with cmd (since it's basically the only tool I have access to), or if there is totally different way to deal with it, I would be very gratefull for any help.

Hi there!

If you have a System Recovery Disk then try to do a System Restore from Windows Recovery Screen System Restore (Method 2) If that fails then try this Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times Also this one User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/296739-black-screen-login-mouse-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.35%

Hey guys this is my first post in need of ALOT of help. Well here's my story I shut down my computer one night turn it back on and it does everything regularly and then after windows boot up the login screen is completely black with the mouse cursor. I've searched everywhere and the thing that might help is last know good configuration tryed it same thing.

Or even other methods that help PLEASE I dont want to spend 300 dollars to fix it (I don't care if I lose all of my saves and pictures) I just want my computer with windows 7 back

A:login screen is completely black with the mouse cursor

Hi Ejoe -- You won't have to spend anything, we will get it going. Just hang with us. == Does it get to the Windows screen with the logo? Did you install anything new the night before the problem? Was your computer purchased at a store and it already had Windows on it or did you build it? What version of Windows 7 do you have, Home Premium, Professional etc. and 32 or 64 bit? Thanks,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/340081-login-screen-completely-black-mouse-cursor.html
Relevancy 87.73%

Hey I had some problem yesterday when I was about to turn off my PC for the day and with adapter Ethernet Death cursor mouse - Screen Black of related I got a regular old blue screen and a memory dump which Black Screen of Death with mouse cursor - Ethernet adapter related was completed I restarted the PC just to see nothing was wrong and it loaded Black Screen of Death with mouse cursor - Ethernet adapter related just fine Turned it off without further issues Today when I started it up it took forever to get past the Welcome screen Windows very fast SSD and when it did there was just a black screen with a mouse cursor I could Black Screen of Death with mouse cursor - Ethernet adapter related move Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing I rebooted a couple of times same story Rebooted into safe mode with networking and it did the exact same thing black screen mouse cursor nothing else Rebooted into safe mode without network and it loaded up fine Did some googling on my phone and started with the regular reverting to an earlier configuration and uninstalled the most recent updates and programs nothing new was installed yesterday though Also checked regedit for the value to shell and something else and disabled a number of startup objects in msconfig No change Also ran the starup repair tool in F repair thingie and did a chkdsk on boot drive No change I then figured the network part of safe mode might be an indicator and tried to delete the Ethernet adapter in devices and rebooted into a regular startup And it worked I got in without any network obviously and Windows immediately installed a driver for my Ethernet adapter I rebooted again and the black screen was back So I went back and deleted the adapter again in safe mode and deleted the software driver along with it and tried to install another driver directly in safe mode I know for a fact of three different drivers that work for my network card Killer e The regular Killer e obv a windows default something and a Qualcomm Atheros AR driver same chip I tried all three since I had them on my local hard drive and have used all in the past successfully Black screen with all I got desperate so I went out and quickly bought a cheap Gigabit Ethernet PCI-E card and tried that and disabled the Killer e in BIOS and it booted fine installed right away and lets me reboot without any further issues Is it likely that somehow the onboard Killer e card actually has broken Seems to be a hardware issue with it now that all the different software drivers made no difference And everything works fine with it disabled There was quite a storm in my area yesterday but I live in an apartment building with Gigabit fiber cabling and there is a modem router in between my PC and wall socket Ethernet port which works fine still Also a NAS attached to the same modem still working fine Seems unlikely a power spike or such would make it to my PC that way with everything else working fine If it is a hardware failure I still have the guarantee on my motherboard but I'm not sure I want to send it in for this when a cheap PCI-E card works and should work just as fine in the long run right No mobo no PC for me and this kinda stuff always takes a week or two minimum

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598493/black-screen-of-death-with-mouse-cursor-ethernet-adapter-related/
Relevancy 86.49%

I have recently encountered a problem with explorer.exe. A black screen with only mouse cursor appears for long time after login to my ID, it takes approximately 7 to 10 mins before the desk top loading up.

Anyway every time I now logon I have to press 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' and then open Task Manager, and run a new task 'explorer.exe' and everything is loading quickly. I'm just wondering why it keeps doing this?

Thanks, all help is appreciated,
Val

A:A black screen with only mouse cursor appears for long time after login to my ID

Can you boot into safe mode? If you can try SFC. Also if safe mode works try a clean startup.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292836-black-screen-only-mouse-cursor-appears-long-time-after-login-my-id.html
Relevancy 82.46%

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor or KSOD Black Screen Of Death on Windows (Black Vista Black Of Death) Screen screen or with cursor movable KSOD Vista Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista What happens The system powers on POST BIOS Start windows normally Windows splash screen - gt Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista Black screen lt - What I can do I CAN enter BIOS and have reset the default settings I CAN press F to give me advanced boot options but all options have the same result apart from quot Repair your computer quot I CAN load the quot Repair your computer quot option I CAN move the mouse around the screen I CAN press shift times to get a dialogue to appear but no control panel I CAN press the power button to shut down the system I CAN start up in safe Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista mode which is exactly the same but with lower resolution I CANNOT seem to do anything else However there are workarounds to accessing the hard drive I CAN use MSDaRT or the System Recovery Tool I CAN use the hard drive as an external USB hard drive on another machine What I've tried Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem System Restore - No restore points Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors SFC Scan - No problems Stand alone system sweeper - No problems Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall I also COULD do a partial or full quot Packard Bell Recovery quot which is essentially like reinstalling windows I DO NOT want to do this I'm sure this is just a simple software issue really and I would rather avoid a reinstall Can anyone recommend what steps I should try to resolve this Thanks

A:Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista

I think I saw this post aver at Toms but I also think you gave some additional info.
I think what may be going on it during the switch from the windows low res video driver to the driver used in normal mode.

Since you can get into safe mode try to go to device manager.
Start|right click computer|properties|device manager.
Look in the display adapter.
Is there a yellow exclamation mark there?
Or is it showing the video that you know should be there?
Please post the video that the machine uses and or the PB model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-movable-cursor-or-ksod-black-screen-of-death-vista-410636.html
Relevancy 110.08%

Hey everyone I did a bit of research and this seems to have been an issue for a while or has been in the past Was upgrading to windows I first had to restart my pc cause it was initially stuck on that preparing to install problem with the green bar being stuck around It then got through that and began the installation process with the big circle and rebooting process However around when I last looked at it it was just black screen this stayed this way for about - hours I then decided to reboot the pc and it has now booted to the login screen Is this a known (no screen just Black Screen to blank) but cursor of Doom Booted login bug or could there be a possible issue The problem seems a bit different Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank) as some people I saw have had to fall back on PC restore points etc So not sure if it installed or what could be the problem Also side note I upgraded my pc when windows first publically released but rolled back because I had about min shutdown times So not sure what is Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank) going on and any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank)

I never had a problem upgrading like you've experienced but I experiencing Windows 10 upgrading process is the longest time taken ever compared to previous versions. It took me 1 hour+ to finished.

Play around a little bit to get used to it then did a clean install. No problem arise, seems working fine.

The point is, problems always happen after upgrading, to solve it just perform installation from scratch (clean install).

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/37857-black-screen-doom-but-booted-login-screen-no-cursor-just-blank.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hello. Recently had a virus and have been going through the steps here on bleeping computer to help get rid of it. The last thing I was told to do was run the farbar scan tool and to copy and paste a code and hit fix. Upon doing so the computer prompted for a restart. It now won't get to the log in screen. I've tried booting in safe mode and I've also tried last known working configuration as suggested and nothing has worked unfortunately. I was told to come here. Hopefully something can be done. Thanks a ton.

A:Windows won't get to login screen, black screen and cursor

Tap F8 at boot and select Repair Computer from the Advanced Boot Options. Do a System Restore to a date just before the problem. 

You cannot do the above and if you have another Windows 7 computer create a System Repair Disk. Boot and try a System Restore to a date just before the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617825/windows-wont-get-to-login-screen-black-screen-and-cursor/
Relevancy 108.79%

Apologies if this is in the wrong section I have a Dell Inspiron and the owner said that his son installed BearShare and it's been giving him complications He told me it sometimes freezes when he tries to start the computer and has to give it a hard shut down I hopefully removed BearShare with Malwarebytes and MSE yet I can't seem to find why it's not letting me boot up regularly It boots into safe mode fine and I can access everything from there but when I try to restart into regular mode it Black active screen, cursor before screen. login just hangs after 'Starting Windows' with a black screen and active mouse cursor I've tried various tutorials from searching quot black screen active cursor quot quot laptop frozen after starting windows quot etc but nothing that I try works After a few hours of research I keep seeing the reoccurring phrase 'shell' I believe it's not being loaded correctly or at all I've tried a fix by Prevx that said it would fix the black screen to no avail But here's the funny part Sometimes it boots to Windows fine and everything acts as it should There's been several times I was about to call the guy and tell him that the laptop is finished but I hesitated and restarted just to see if it was fully fixed Vid Dell - YouTube Let me know if I need to post further information -Dustin

A:Black screen, cursor active before login screen.

I would try some more scans to be sure
Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller
Windows Defender Offline
run some hardware tests
RAM - Test with Memtest86+
and when you can get it to boot
Disk Check
a system file check
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
and have a look through these handy tutorials
Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot
Startup Repair
and if all else fails
Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/271206-black-screen-cursor-active-before-login-screen.html
Relevancy 107.93%

While attempting to boot, Death before screen login Black during of Screen restore a previous backup of my system with Norton Ghost I got an error and the system rebooted Upon reboot I get the black screen of death with just the cursor instead of the usual login screen I have tried the following thus far These all give me the black screen of death with movable cursor boot in safe mode boot in safe mode with networking boot in safe mode with command prompt last known good configuration I did an Black Screen of Death during boot, before login screen initial system startup repair which went through and said it repaired it rebooted but no change I did a pre-boot diagnostic test - nothing memory test - nothing tried restoring from restore point but it says I don't have any LIES BLASPHEMY tried restoring from restore point on external disk - seemed okay then failed chkdsk - found some stuff fixed it no change tried ctrl alt del on black screen of death - nothing Now I know that the hard drive itself is alright that is the information is still all there still While I can't give you exact specs I can tell you that I am on a Dell Studio XPS running Win home premium bit I'm at a loss as to what else to do Despite being a black screen with just a movable cursor the system still appears to be running as every few minutes it will show the quot thinking quot cursor where it shows the little circle next to the arrow If anyone has any tips or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated hugs and kisses Amplitude

A:Black Screen of Death during boot, before login screen

hi,

Known issue some users have it others don't did you try Why is my screen black when I start Windows 7? or this mentions a "black screen of death" fix but i would be verry carefull running executable files from unknown sources

Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death Fix

also this http://www.everything-microsoft.com/2009/12/01/windows-7-bsod-black-screen-of-death-freeze-and-potential-fix/

but it also points to external sources microsoft should fix the issue or that *.exe should be authenticode signed so you have a way to verify it's trustworthy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/219955-black-screen-death-during-boot-before-login-screen.html
Relevancy 106.64%

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.

As I brought my computer out of sleep mode the computer had crashed with the screen showing vertical, multicolored lines that vaguely resembled gray.

I had to hard restart my computer and after the splash screen, the login screen with all the users never appears, nor does my cursor.

Nothing is on my screen except a faint glow indicating that it's active.

Could anyone help me solve this problem? I've searched on Google but all the results have something to do with the cursor displaying.

I've already tried doing a System Restore and Startup Repair.

Currently posting from Safe Mode w/ Networking.

A:Black screen before login screen, no cursor

Update: Will start in normal mode after I switched drivers to Standard VGA, however updating the driver caused it to not work again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262942-black-screen-before-login-screen-no-cursor.html
Relevancy 106.64%

This morning i installed the software for pinacale's usb tv tuner on my laptop. I was requried to reboot after the installation process completed. I got to the logon screen, logged in, and all i got was a black screen with a cursor, i then let the computer sit for 15 minutes my screen saver came on, but when i wiggled the mouse still only the curser so i hit ctrl+alt+del= nothing pressed the power button, agian nothing, pressed and help the power button for 6 seconds, the machine turned off, i let it sit for 30 seconds, turrned it back on and now it just goes straight to the black screen with a cursor. I have tried booting it in safe mode, safe mode with netwrork support, and safe mode with a command propmt all resulted in the same thing... black screen with a cursor, and after 15 minutes the screen saver comes on...............???????????????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-cursor-before-login-screen.621080/
Relevancy 106.64%

Hi, I have recently installed windows updates and after restart the black screen occurred after I typed my password. About five days before that I have reinstalled my Mobile Intel 4 series driver and now in Device manager it shows 3 grayed out monitors which were installed when I have reinstalled the Video driver. The monitor driver that Is currently loaded was installed when I installed the OS itself. Is it safe to remove the grayed out drivers and will this fix my problem?

Thanks!

A:Black screen with cursor after Login screen.

Hi werty,
if you delete them after you press check for hardware changes will they reappear?
if so uninstall them hard then reboot your PC you might wanna create a restore point first in case some thing wrong happens, refer to this link if you dont know how:Create a restore point

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/50029-black-screen-cursor-after-login-screen.html
Relevancy 106.64%

I've got a problem with my Win install I recently bought a of instead screen + cursor screen login Black copy of Win Pro amp installed the -bit version as I intend to get more ram at some point fairly soon I installed it last weekend amp for a few days it's been running fine Then days ago when I start it up instead of Black screen + cursor instead of login screen a login screen all I have is a black screen with a cursor if I wait until the screensaver kicks in amp then move the mouse or press a key etc then I can see the login screen amp log in with no problems if I wait until the HD activity finishes amp then type in my password I can Black screen + cursor instead of login screen login fine Safe mode starts fine amp if I log in to normal mode then everything runs fine amp I don't get any other black screens At no point am I getting any errors I've run my usual AV Avira free version amp MalwareBytes Antimalware amp neither of them have come up with any issues Windows seems to be booting up fine until it gets to the login screen after the Black screen + cursor instead of login screen swirly windows screen amp it's obviously doing something as there's a normal amount of HD activity I've tried the Startup repair on the install disk to no avail I've tried post from this thread but things went a bit pear-shaped around the quot taking ownership quot bit though I've not had any errors afterwards I've tried enabling the OEM default background registry edit since it seemed straight forward enough to no avail I've even tried changing the background colours via the registry switch Hkey users default control panel colours Background from black to white The login screen is still there since I can enter my password amp get into windows it's just black on black on black which is somewhat annoying So I'm stumped since the vast majority of what google returns for combinations of quot win login screen black quot are issues where Windows goes black after loging in which isn't my problem I've also uploaded my ntbtlog though nothing really jumped out to my non-professional I'm an accountant amp probably know just enough to really screw up windows eyes Any ideas Or am I going to have to re-install windows a mere days after installing it for the first time though at least I do have everything I'd need to install afterwards saved And finally amp probably unrelated I seem to have mislaid the Search button thing on the start menu Any help with the blakc login screen would be much appreciated

A:Black screen + cursor instead of login screen

Avira, no idea why it's showing as AVG, I've not had that installed in several years (& several re-installs including a reformat)...

Edit: Though googling avgntflt.sys says that it's part of Avira.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/162802-black-screen-cursor-instead-login-screen.html
Relevancy 105.78%

So i was trying to extend my system partition using easeus partition manager and on restarting a black screen with movable cursor is there, no login screen. To clarify i can't access the task manager (no response) and same thing happens in safe mode.
I didn't have the windows 7 installation disc as i got this Windows pre-installed from laptop manufacturer so i used my win 10 installation disc to try and repair it. Startup repair couldn't fix anything chkdsk found nothing sfc scannow using offbootdir and offwindir did nothing. I don't have any restore points which i don't why happened because i just installed a win 7 update which created a restore point? Please suggest any solution short of repair install.

Ps i don't get last known good configuration option on boot menu only safe mode so don't suggest that
Thanks for your replies

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/395567-black-screen-death-before-login-screen.html
Relevancy 105.35%

I was uploading my sons basketball video to Hudl services the other night on my daughters Black Death Screen of Cursor With laptop and I believe the battery went dead or someone shut the lid without closing out Now it wont boot up even in safe mode I get a black screen with a mouse cursor I am in no way a computer kind of person but i read a post from someone that Black Screen of Death With Cursor had a similar problem on Bing and he Black Screen of Death With Cursor said he got the fix here He downloaded FRST and than Microsoft defender offline as well I have no clue how to do this to a computer that cant boot up The laptop is an ASUS and i am actually typing on it currently due to if having a splashtop operating system as well This computer contains some photos and videos that i really want to save without resetting windows and all of that Does anyone have a clue how i burn these discs and better yet run them on a laptop that technically start up Sorry for sounding dumb but I am in a huge bind Thanks

A:Black Screen of Death With Cursor

Hello, and Welome

If you have access to another Windows 7 computer, you can create a System Repair Disk and from that do a "Startup Repair" It may take up to three times before the repair is successful. Can  you retrieve the data from the hard drive using splashtop?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572153/black-screen-of-death-with-cursor/
Relevancy 105.35%

This is entirely my fault and of death screen black W7 cursor without 64 bit I should be slapped for being so dumb but I got impatient with a COLOR blue important COLOR blue important flash COLOR blue important drive COLOR COLOR COLOR that hangs I have a Rosewill USB card installed on the W bit PC and have a USB hub run from the card I was transferring a video to a PNY Gb flash drive inserted into the hub W7 64 bit black screen of death without cursor and it was taking forever the time W7 64 bit black screen of death without cursor remaining indicated hours well I was hoping to do the transfer quickly as I needed to get to work as W7 64 bit black screen of death without cursor no progress was being made I clicked on cancel and it hung there for a while and finally I just pulled the stick from the hub That might have been a bad mistake because the screen immediately went black and rebooting brought me around to the same black screen Nothing comes up I mean nothing no blinking cursor nothing The COLOR blue important COLOR blue important PC COLOR COLOR is running when I reboot but there is nothing on the screen Is there a way into the OS other than an old rescue disk I have

A:W7 64 bit black screen of death without cursor

So I figured the worst that would happen is that I would corrupt the data on the thumb drive which wouldnt be a big deal, but nope the screen immediately went completely blank and a reboot gave the same result.

Any ideas?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/267921-w7-64-bit-black-screen-death-without-cursor.html
Relevancy 105.35%

I had a black screen of death in win 7. That is where windows gets to the point I think where it tries to load the shell. I found a fix on the internet and when I rebooted it got to the same point so I left it alone and it finally came up a hour later, but everything was at a snails pace to open and somethings did not open. I ran the cmd line "sfc /scannow" and it said it fixed some issues, but nothing is better?
I also tried deleting the video card in safe mode and adding new video drivers.
Anyone know how to fix this without fresh install?
Thanks in advance!

A:Black screen of death with cursor

You can attempt a repair install. Not sure if this will help your problem
Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/209543-black-screen-death-cursor.html
Relevancy 105.35%

have a Toshiba C655 running windows 7 and after recent windows update I now have the black screen o death with cursor, I have tried several "Fixes" while searching for solution to problem including holding escape and power button, removing battery and holding power button for 2 minutes, removing CMOS battery and trying to run a boot disc with no success, Any help would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 105.35%

so i have a black screen of death but i can use my cursor i can pass it by doing ctrl+alt+del then taskmanger ect.. but every time i close my computer and go on it again..it does the same thing it goes back so the black screen of death is their a permanent  way to fix it...

im running on an Hp w2207h pavilion windows vista 64bit home premium 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529309/black-screen-of-death-with-cursor/
Relevancy 104.06%

I have done two things that may have led to this problem --- I scanned my system with Malwarebytes and it detected four things that were quarantined and deleted RiskWare Tool CK RiskWare Tool CK Hacktool Agent Hacktool KeySteal I have no knowledge on technical matters but I'm assuming maybe removing these things might have caused something --- with of cursor death white Black screen And I recently used chkdsk to scan for errors and remove bad sectors This is basically what was changed according to my chkdsk report Cleaning up unused index entries from index SII of file x Cleaning up unused index entries from index SDH of file x Cleaning up unused security descriptors --- Ever since I did both of these things I've been getting the black screen of death with a moving white cursor so I have reason to believe either one of Black screen of death with white cursor those two things might have caused the problem because before that everything was fine Basically it'll go to the black screen for like five minutes and then it'll boot up as normal Could someone please tell me the reason for this as well as a solution A fast reply would be greatly appreciated because right now I am panicking Thank you so much -A

A:Black screen of death with white cursor

Welcome
I doubt if the problem is caused by either, but lets test the hard drive. Download crystal software (make sure you use the correct download, the site is full of pay stuff). If the HD is bad it will show.
Either way report back and we shall look further if necessary
CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/300086-black-screen-death-white-cursor.html
Relevancy 104.06%

hi all. thanks in advance for your help.

i may be barking up the wrong tree but i am trying to fix the issue in the title by following the instructions in the screenshot ive posted. im stuck though. How do i apply these changes?
ive attached a screenshot of where im up to.
thanks again

[1]: http://imgur.com/x7mPJ3F
  [2]: http://imgur.com/6HTz0Pc

Windows Vista
Vista was the OEM version
5 years old maybe, OS same age
Dell Inspiron Laptop

A:black screen of death with cursor - vista

additional info -

following a windows update i was seeing errors on startup that pertained to apple products. i deleted all apple products and then saw a different error. i did a system restore and now have the BSOD.

i could not access any safe mode or command prompt.

i have found the original vista disk and can use it to access command prompt.

i have tried system restore but all system restore points have disappeared.

i have tried to use the disk to "upgrade" windows but the upgrade option is greyed out

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588232/black-screen-of-death-with-cursor-vista/
Relevancy 104.06%

Hi People I have been a member of this forum and most often I have found a solution by just searching but today I have a problem which I have not been able to find a solution for therefore I am listing my problem I have Windows installed on a desktop since months now it was working fine till yesterday evening but don't know what happened it was loading windows Basically what is happening is that it is booting fine then the windows logo comes and after that of Screen instead Black Screen Login Mouse Pointer with I get a black screen with mouse cursor whereas it was supposed Black Screen with Mouse Pointer instead of Login Screen to have the login screen Now I had this same problem months back with the same computer but then I was unable to solve it using the MBR repair commands and so I formatted the drive C of my computer then Now I am determined not to format the DRIVE C so Black Screen with Mouse Pointer instead of Login Screen I went to the command prompt using system repair tools from the DVD and went into DISKPART When I selected disk which is the only disk installed and entered detail disk this is what I got Disk ID SOmething Type ATA Status Online PAth Target LUN ID Location Path Something Current Readonly State No Read Only No Boot Disk No Pagefile Disk No Hibernation File Disk No Crash Dump Disk No Clustered Disk No ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Volume Ltr Label FS Type Size Status Volume C System Rese NTFS Partition MB Healthy Volume D NTFS Partition GB Healthy Volume E NTFS Partition GB Healthy Volume F NTFS Partition GB Healthy Now I found that the system reserved partition has somehow claimed Drive Letter C after maybe a power failure Now I think the problem would be solved if I could somehow remove C letter from the System Reserved partition and assign it back to Volume I later on checked on the recovery files that in my computer the DRIVE C is the actual system reserved partition which is supposed to be hidden and DRIVE D is the one which holds the actual windows installation I have also the information on VOLUME when I selected DISK and then selected VOLUME and entered detail volume I got the following result Readonly No Hidden No No Default Drive letter No Shadow Copy No Offline No Bitlocker Encrypted No Installable No Now I changed the attributes and to Yes think it would solve my problem but it didn't I would also like to know why this has happened I think this is due to power failure but why is the system reserved partition showing as C Please help I have tried to search and fix the MBR as well but to no avail I don't want to format my PC again I have managed to remove the drive letter of the system reserved partition and assign letter C to the D drive But then I got a message on rebooting BOOTMGR missing press CTRL ALT DEL Then again I have tried to repair the bootmgr by BOOTREC fixboot this removed the BOOTMGR missing error but got me back to where I started that is a BLACK screen after windows logo I am still not able to get the LOGIN SCREEN don't know why Please help

A:Black Screen with Mouse Pointer instead of Login Screen

Have you tried Startup Repair from the Win7 installation DVD?
Have you tried System Restore to a point in time before these errors occurred?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/110305-black-screen-mouse-pointer-instead-login-screen.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi colleagues! I'd like to get some tips on how to get around this problem of "getting a black screen with a cursor" after login. Yes, I'm suffering the same problem since a week with Vista ultimate x86 running on vaio notebook with NVIDIA graphic card. Now the problem is I see explorer running in task manager processes but even stopped it and rerunned it but nothing appeared on screen except the black dead screen. How can I figure out this problem, I tried all the solutions that I read on forums like updating video card, installing KB.. smthng windows update, deactivating themes in safe mode and then entering, but the problem persists. And I login SOMETIMES when I'm lucky without but very often get this problem. I'll appreciate it if somebody could help get around this most common vista problem these days????

A:Getting a black screen with a cursor after login

hi shahkshmr,

hmmm...first disconnect all your external things...network..try the new forceware for the drivers...in safe mode maybe?
well first give us some specs

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/113118-getting-black-screen-cursor-after-login.html
Relevancy 103.63%

I'm in desperate need for help I have tried everything I know screen after black Need cursor with login... help, of and still can't seem to get anywhere I have an Hp envy dv running x It boots fine to the login screen After I login the screen goes black with the cursor only visible I can access task manager through ctrl alt del so I was able to pull up Msconfig and reboot into safe mode with networking During the first session of safe mode I ran malwayrebytes through hirens boot disk on a flash drive It showed several adware nothing else I ran ccleaner and cleaned those issues after a reboot back into safe mode After a third reboot into normal mode I still get the same black screen So I rebooted back into safe mode with networking but now it won't let me connect to anything I tried to do a system restore before all of this and kept getting errors So I searched for a problem similar to what I have going on and found a couple posts to follow what they did Nothing has worked Even tried accessing system restore in the advanced repair boot and still nothing I ran Farbar so I have the log file for it if anyone is able to help Thanks in advance

A:Need help, black screen with cursor after login...

boot with UBCD, use the registry restore wizard to restore your registry back a week or two,

if that does not work, you can perform an entire system restore from the command prompt

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566821/need-help-black-screen-with-cursor-after-login/
Relevancy 103.63%

Hello For the last few days after I boot my laptop it slowly makes it's way Login Screen after With Cursor Black to the login page much slower than normal and allows my to login like normal After login the screen goes black and only the cursor is visible I've attempted a Safe Mode boot and it seemed to work quite well Once I completed system restore I rebooted in 'normal mode' Black Screen With Cursor after Login Back to black screen after login and only the cursor is visible I managed to get Task Manager running and ended and re-ran explorer exe to see Black Screen With Cursor after Login if that made any difference The process of starting Task Manager and simply running explorer took over five minutes The laptop is severely bogged down yet there are no large processes running Upon leaving the computer idle on the black screen for ten minutes it has managed to bring up the regular desktop display Black Screen With Cursor after Login but at the speed it is running it is near impossible to run anything The time it took to write this post on an alternate computer ie still has not fully loaded If anyone has something constructive to help with any of a number of possible issues please let me know I'm ready to salvage the data and format the drive it's about due for it anyways Thanks

A:Black Screen With Cursor after Login

Computer is an HP G60, can't get into the specs right now because it refuses to even turn on. Will post tomorrow.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/183700-black-screen-cursor-after-login.html
Relevancy 103.63%

I'm in desperate need for help I have tried everything I know of and still can't seem to get anywhere I have an Hp envy dv running x It boots fine to the login screen After I login the screen goes black with the cursor only visible I can access task manager through ctrl alt del so I was able to Help with screen after cursor login..... Black pull up Msconfig Black screen with cursor after login..... Help and reboot into safe mode with networking During the first session of safe mode I ran malwayrebytes through hirens boot disk on a flash drive It showed several adware nothing else I ran ccleaner and cleaned those issues after a reboot Black screen with cursor after login..... Help back into safe mode After a third reboot into normal mode I still get the same black screen So I rebooted back into safe mode with networking but now it won't let me connect to anything I tried to do a system restore before all of this and kept getting errors So I searched for a problem similar to what I have going on and found a couple posts to follow what they did Nothing has worked Even tried accessing system restore in the advanced repair boot and still nothing I ran Farbar so I have the log file for it if anyone is able to help Thanks in advance

A:Black screen with cursor after login..... Help

Here is my frst.txt log file. 
 FRST.txt   21.9KB
  1 downloads Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST.txt) (x64) Version: 11-02-2015 02Ran by SYSTEM on MININT-BM2HC58 on 13-02-2015 14:41:01Running from e:\Platform: Windows 8.1 (X64) OS Language: English (United States)Internet Explorer Version 11Boot Mode: RecoveryThe current controlset is ControlSet001ATTENTION!:=====> If the system is bootable FRST must be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log.Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/335081-frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool/==================== Registry (Whitelisted) ==================(If an entry is included in the fixlist, the registry item will be restored to default or removed. The file will not be moved.)HKLM\...\Run: [SysTrayApp] => C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\sttray64.exe [1425408 2012-07-24] (IDT, Inc.)HKLM\...\Run: [SynTPEnh] => C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe [3053808 2013-06-06] (Synaptics Incorporated)HKLM-x32\...\Run: [StartCCC] => C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe [642216 2012-08-08] (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)HKLM-x32\...\Run: [RemoteControl10] => C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD10\PDVD10Serv.exe [91432 2012-03-28] (CyberLink Corp.)HKLM-x32\...\Run: [APSDaemon] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe [60712 2014-10-11] (Apple Inc.)HKLM-x32\...\Run: [GrooveMonitor] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe [30040 2009-02-26] (Microsoft Corporation)HKLM-x32\...\Run: [Intuit SyncManager] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Sync\IntuitSyncManager.exe [3774776 2014-01-16] (Intuit Inc. All rights reserved.)HKLM-x32\...\Run: [VMM Mode Selection] => C:\Program Files\HTC\ModeSelection\VMMModeSelection.exe [43520 2011-02-14] ()HKLM-x32\...\Run: [HP Quick Launch] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\HPMSGSVC.exe [581024 2012-09-07] (Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.)HKLM-x32\...\Run: [HP Software Update] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe [49208 2011-10-28] (Hewlett-Packard)HKLM-x32\...\Run: [] => [X]HKLM-x32\...\Run: [iTunesHelper] => C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe [157480 2014-10-15] (Apple Inc.)HKLM-x32\...\Run: [QuickTime Task] => C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe [421888 2014-10-02] (Apple Inc.)HKLM-x32\...\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (reboot)] => C:\Users\bseagraves\AppData\Local\Temp\HBCD\Malwarebytes\mbam.exe [1047656 2011-07-06] (Malwarebytes Corporation) <===== ATTENTIONHKLM\...\RunOnce: [NCPluginUpdater] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\ActiveCheck\product_line\NCPluginUpdater.exe [21720 2015-02-03] (Hewlett-Packard)HKLM-x32\...\RunOnce: [Taplika] => C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\wscript.exe /E:vbscript /B "C:\Users\BSEAGR~1\AppData\Roaming\Taplika\UpdateProc\bkup.dat"HKU\bseagraves\...\Run: [HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series (NET)] => C:\Program Files\HP\HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe [2573416 2012-10-17] (Hewlett-Packard Co.)HKU\bseagraves\...\Run: [HLBackupScheduler] => C:\Program Files\Backup Assistant Plus\V CAST Backup Scheduler.exe [7065224 2012-08-20] ()HKU\bseagraves\...\Run: [GoogleDriveSync] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe [23308256 2015-01-15] (Google)HKU\bseagraves\...\Run: [Power2GoExpress8] => C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go8\Power2GoExpress8.exe [1713416 2013-08-05] (CyberLink Corp.)HKU\bseagraves\...\Run: [iCloudServices] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe [43816 2014-11-21] (Apple Inc.)HKU\bseagraves\...\Run: [ApplePhotoStreams] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ApplePhotoStreams.exe [43816 2014-11-21] (Apple Inc.)HKU\bseagraves\...\Run... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566871/black-screen-with-cursor-after-login-help/
Relevancy 103.63%

My computer is unusable when I log in because it just has a black screen with a movable cursor. I run in safe mode and it works. We tried system restore and it just keeps saying initializing and never does anything. It boots just fine, the black screen only happens when I log in. Please help. Thank you

A:Black screen with cursor on login

Restart the PC and press F8 during boot.

Once at the Advanced Options choose "Repair your Computer" if available.

Try running the start-up repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-cursor-on-login-649595.html
Relevancy 103.63%

I just bought a refurbished Asus Q LA from Amazon I set it up and it was all working fine Once I got Login Black Goes (No Screen Cursor) After to the login screen and pushed past there if I try to adjust the laptop screen angle the screen goes black The only way to bring it back is to put the laptop to sleep and log back in which usually makes it immediately turn off after getting past the login screen The other way to fix it is to plug in the HDMI cable going to my TV It only does this once inside the desktop Every other time I can move the screen as much as I want no problem This is really confusing and I can't figure out what it is I have opened up a RMA with Asus to try to return it but ya If Screen Goes Black After Login (No Cursor) anyone has any suggestions I am willing to try As far as I could tell it had the latest BIOS version I believe was on it Any help will be appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/52791-screen-goes-black-after-login-no-cursor.html
Relevancy 103.63%

My PC loads and after I log on, I go to a black screen with only my cursor. I am able to CTRL ALT DEL and reach the task manager however.

I've read about many people having similar problems to this with Vista.
Most people seem to be able to get around it by CTRL ALT DEL and File(run) explorer.exe, but this does not work for me, and the screen remains black.

I have also tried to run in safe mode, same thing, black screen.

Has anyone found another way to even reach the desktop? Any solutions aside from reformatting?

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Dynamic

A:Black Screen with Cursor after Login

Originally Posted by Dynamic

My PC loads and after I log on, I go to a black screen with only my cursor. I am able to CTRL ALT DEL and reach the task manager however.

I've read about many people having similar problems to this with Vista.
Most people seem to be able to get around it by CTRL ALT DEL and File(run) explorer.exe, but this does not work for me, and the screen remains black.

I have also tried to run in safe mode, same thing, black screen.

Has anyone found another way to even reach the desktop? Any solutions aside from reformatting?

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Dynamic

Hi Dynamic, welcome to the forum.

Have a look here;Repair Install For Vista
If this one tutorial does not help have a look at the links on the same page.

Pooch

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/221733-black-screen-cursor-after-login.html
Relevancy 103.63%

I have a lenovo laptop running windows 7, when I start my computer I get to the login screen put in my password and a black screen shows up with movable cursor. If anyone can please help I would very much appreciate it.

A:Black Screen with cursor after login...Please help

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/536571 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536571/black-screen-with-cursor-after-loginplease-help/
Relevancy 103.2%

Recently i was updating drivers for my motherboard when my desktop froze and i was forced to manually reset after the reset the computer restarted normally but it was slow on logon and it was weird screen black cursor death/moving Vista of since it always acts fast i tryed to finish installing the drivers and it froze up again so again i restarted when i did BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH when i try to reboot i get the boot choices start windows normally safe mode and none of them work is all the same black screen with the cursor i dnt get a choice of quot last good known configuration quot either i tryed pressing ctrl-alt-del and nothing happens does anyone know how to solve this problem without reinstalling windows i have GB worth of stuff i dont wanna loose I Vista black screen of death/moving cursor tryed the windows vista disc repair procedure and it tells me it cant fix the problem i try system restore and it tells me there is no restore points set which it cant be true because a few days ago i opened system restore and saw tons of restore points from before I NEED HELP this is killing me

A:Vista black screen of death/moving cursor

Hi aftermathsample, welcome to the board.

Was there anything wrong before the updating? Were you updating the BIOS or chipset drivers? What exact drivers are you updating? Can you boot into safe mode? if you can, go ahead and backup your data before doing anything. Have you been mass around the inside of the case before this happened? May be you have to reinstall after all.

It is helpful for diagnostic if you post your spec of your computer.

Bruce

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/201615-vista-black-screen-death-moving-cursor.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Hi Forum This is my first technical issue thread so I pray I recieve worthwhile help I own an Asus Vista HP laptop manufactured in ' and bought it second-hand in NOV ' I made the big mistake of taking this lp without any discs whatsoever and thought I could just buy some later on The problem started just after I had DL Spybot Search and Destroy followed by a trial Norton Anti-Virus After shutdown I experienced the black screen blinking cursor of death I am also not able to access anything but BIOS Black of Screen/ :( Blinking Death Cursor Syndrome F and Escape F F F does not seem to work after many tries I purchased a Recovery Disc Startup CD from an Ebay Vendor however the CD drive also fails to read the disk did setup DVD drive as boot priority The good news is this particular Asus lp is equipped with a secondary Linux based OS Black Screen/ Blinking Cursor of Death Syndrome :( for lightweight web browsing and media access called Express Gate I can view the hard drive and both play music Black Screen/ Blinking Cursor of Death Syndrome :( and view photos through Express Gate so I'm sure my problem isn't a hard-drive failure EG can also read contents of inserted CD If there is any other way to get into my system restore prompt or at least get the drive to recognize a disc I would appreciate the help and advice Thanks

A:Black Screen/ Blinking Cursor of Death Syndrome :(

Welcome
You are experiencing one of the most troubling problems with Vista. Here are some potential solutions
If these do not work, you may want to reinstall using the restoration partition. We can help, if you give us the make and model of your computer.
Black screen of death fix for Windows XP, Vista, 7 (updated) - Computerworld Blogs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977675/
This last solution was written by our own Corrine
http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2...screen-of.html

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/294697-black-screen-blinking-cursor-death-syndrome.html
Relevancy 103.2%

It started on Wednesday i was reading online and decided to leave my room for like mins or more when i came back and click on my screen it started to act weird doing many strange things so and in Log no Before Death screen appears Black cursor of [SOLVED] i decided to turn it off and turn it back on click on Firefox but did it again i shut down the computer and try to log in but this time after i log in i couldn't see the screen just it was there but no icons shut down the pc and went into the safe mode everything was fine so id decided run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and only one type of bug [SOLVED] Black screen of Death Before Log in appears and no cursor showed up Pup optional Delta A so i quarantined it and deleted it afterwards Restarted my computer and everything was fine no problems at all like nothing after happen now here my current situation so i click on Firefox and starting reading again but after maybe mins or more it started to act weird again so i restarted and PC beep as usual then the Starting windows logo appeared AFTER that Finished my problems begin i get no Log on screen IT quot S All black with no cursor So far i can only get into my log on screen by going into Safe mode or Disabling AMD Radeon HD Series by going into device manger in display adapters section i don't think my motherboard has on-board graphics if i disable the graphics card it boots up normal Try to scans again and again and used recommended sites to get rid of any bugs etc i got rid of them all but no problems solved try error-checking in properties slash tools section used that but nothing was fixed try to uninstall the card in device manger and restarted it successfully installed but when i restarted again it goes back to a black screen try to install new drivers for the card but no Fix i even try to take out graphics card inside my computer and install it another slot but no fix cant used ctrl-alt-delete when black screen shows up reset bios but no fix used a restore point but no fix i also have windows home premium and it's a desktop i have try everything and i am seriously Tired Now thinking of buying a cheap graphics card and see if that the problem but i just want a second opinion or before i try to reinstall the whole damn thing i might have missed a few thing ill add them if i do

A:[SOLVED] Black screen of Death Before Log in appears and no cursor

Hi and welcome to TSF, try a start up repair Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-black-screen-of-death-before-log-in-appears-and-no-cursor-990217.html
Relevancy 102.77%

Okay, so basically I get the black screen of death after "Start Windows" and before the login screen.

What I've tried and failed to work
- System Repair
- System Restore (no restore points apparently
- Memory Check (nothing)
- Ctr+Alt+Delete on black screen and Task Manager does not pop up.
- chkdsk - no problems

I seem to get the black screen in normal safe mode but in networking and command prompt I can actually log in. Is there anything I can do from here?

Note: I am having this problem with a laptop

A:Black Screen of death before login

Hi,

As you have already followed most of the Troubleshooting and as you are able to log in “Safe mode with Networking”, I would suggest you to try creating a New User account and then try to enter in this New User account in Normal Mode.

If the issue still persists, you can even try restoring system back to factory settings and then check the performance of the system. Ensure backing up your data before reinstalling Operating system or PC restore.

Keep us Posted

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/257573-black-screen-death-before-login.html
Relevancy 102.77%

I was customizing some windows login bmp's and when I put the computer to sleep and woke it back up to test the login screen I got the black screen of death I'm not sure why this happened because I've modified this and other bmp's without any problem By the way the bitmap in question is one of the user tile pictures It seems like windows freaks out if just one bmp is quot invalid quot I've tried restarting and got the same black screen even though the computer boots right to the desktop after restarting automatic login without showing the user tile I've read tons of posts regarding similar issues but I haven't been able to resolve my issue Here's what I've tried All configurations of safe mode i e networking command prompt etc System restore Startup repair Sfc scannow None of these worked help Black screen of during death login; seems nothing to I've Black screen of death during login; nothing seems to help done successful system restores in the past but those restore points are not available anymore and the two that I have now Black screen of death during login; nothing seems to help didn't work Again task manager is NOT available and safe mode also goes to the black screen I don't have all my files backed up Ironically I was looking for external hard drives earlier but I haven't bought one yet The copy of Black screen of death during login; nothing seems to help windows that I have was a LEGAL downloaded copy so no recovery discs or flash drives The worst part about this is that I know exactly what file is causing the issue but I just can't access it All I need is to be able to access my files in order to solve this issue Any help is appreciated

A:Black screen of death during login; nothing seems to help

Chris ome you didn't metion was chdsk try it
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html< if necessary include the /f switch in the command line as per Option2

Now I know you probably have but have you checked in restore for the "other" restore points?

Have you doen any malware scans too if not try these (you may already have but I don't know that)

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

ADW download frombleeping computer delete any rubbish found with the malware scans

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/335373-black-screen-death-during-login-nothing-seems-help.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Having issues getting login screen to appear after windows starting.
After loading windows, it goes to a black screen with just the curser, moving the curser or pressing anything on the keyboard fades the screen a bit...
things i did:
safe mode: dose the same thing, cant get to login screen.
repair: did nothing..
waiting: nothing..

had movie on at night, woke up, computer turned off, booted up, this happened....

the windows cd loads up all good.
only option i c is formatting, but i cant loss what i have....

really need assistance

windows 7 home primium 64bit
laptop acer

posted on a 3DS..........

A:Login screen don't appear, only black background and cursor

Update: I did what I really didn't want to do and just installed windows with out formatting.
Made everything messy as fk but its all fixed...

Fml..

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268748-login-screen-dont-appear-only-black-background-cursor.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Please Help! I have a Black screen with cursor after login. Have attempted system repair/restore, safe mode and rebooting to last good Windows startup etc. Also I can't use CTRL ALT DLT. Only way to successfully get task manager is through CTRL SHIFT ESC. Please not I have the same issue even in safe mode.

When I get there I notice explorer.exe is not visible. When I try to run it it doesn't work. I get an error message saying "the application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. please see the application event log or use the command -line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

Not very educated with these things so would appreciate step by step guidance. Thank you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/399302-black-screen-cursor-after-login-explorer-exe-wont-run.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Trying to help a friend fix their HP laptop While these symptoms are similar seen lots of quot close but not quite quot I haven't been able to fix it yet Hoping not to have to nuke it System starts to boot See the startup logo so I know there isn't a hardware problem After the startup logo animation screen goes black with just the cursor pointer You can see hard-drive activity so I know it is doing something If I press the power-button it goes to sleep I can press keys like Windows-P and select through things like which display to choose extend screen etc So again Windows seems to be functioning Even hooked up an external monitor and can move the cursor back and forth with W-P or the Fn key so video seems to work just fine Tried Safe Mode - same results It lists all the drivers being loaded and then goes black-screen I think the last one is usually disk sys Tried a Startup Repair - it says there isn't anything to repair Tried boot w/cursor after Black Screen b4 login Restore point - it says there aren't any restore points Tried Last Known Good Configuration - doesn't make any difference Tried VGA x more - nada I have booted from an install DVD and run chkdsk f - nothing wrong Tried running sfc scannow - mixed results By itself the command says a previous restore repair is in progress I found a discussion where someone with a similar program used a bunch of parms and that gets around this error However after chugging for a while I get the error quot Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation quot This is where I am currently stuck at This is a laptop and I have removed the HD and put into another system to perform A V and anti-malware scans They found one of the quot fake A V Black Screen w/cursor after boot b4 login - scarewares quot on it and removed it Black Screen w/cursor after boot b4 login Found some other junk in the temp Black Screen w/cursor after boot b4 login directories which I have emptied Thoughts Suggestions

A:Black Screen w/cursor after boot b4 login

Since I didn't get any replies and couldn't wait any longer and since every place I looked the answer boils down to a reinstall, I nuked it/over-installed Windows 7 and am rebuilding it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/177481-black-screen-w-cursor-after-boot-b4-login.html
Relevancy 102.34%

My new Yoga 2 13 (I7  Hybrid Disk, Windows 8.1) frequently reverts to a black screen with working curser after user password has been entered at startup.The machine is working in the background and CTRL/Alt/Delete will bring up the menu allowing access to Task Manager etc.Shutting down and restarting eventually fixes the issue until the next time. Bios and patches are up to date.There are many reports of this type of problem for Windows 8 for all types of machines, but no one appears to have a definitive fix.I noticed that the machine starts correctly (at least it has not failed yet) if I unplug the Logitech wireless mouse dongle.Has anyone else had this scenario or similar?

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:Yoga 2 13 Black Screen with Cursor after Login Wir...

I have the exact problem.I reset the computer 3 times this week and I have again the problem.My quest is the hard drive problem AVCarter wrote:My new Yoga 2 13 (I7  Hybrid Disk, Windows 8.1) frequently reverts to a black screen with working curser after user password has been entered at startup.The machine is working in the background and CTRL/Alt/Delete will bring up the menu allowing access to Task Manager etc.Shutting down and restarting eventually fixes the issue until the next time. Bios and patches are up to date.There are many reports of this type of problem for Windows 8 for all types of machines, but no one appears to have a definitive fix.I noticed that the machine starts correctly (at least it has not failed yet) if I unplug the Logitech wireless mouse dongle.Has anyone else had this scenario or similar? 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-2-13-Black-Screen-with-Cursor-after-Login-Wireless-Mouse/td-p/2043518
Relevancy 102.34%

okay so i finally removed this malware called double d but now i have a bigger problemmy login is fine but another person who owns cpu and uses it most often gets a black screen with a white cursor upon logging in This exchange of problems is horrible and I wish I never went about repairing it I think this could have been due to combofixi also was unable to access the with screen cursor login 1 Only user with black upon internet and backgrounds were changed following the usage of combofix i was able to manually restore internet connection by simply adding in the default gateway which was blank any help or insight would be greatly appreciated Once again login trouble is only for one user as I am using internet and typing this very message on my login for vista i'll post the combofix log ComboFix - - - Josh - NTFSx Running from c users Josh Desktop ComboFix exeSP Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live disabled Updated DAE- F - D - - E CFFDAA SP Windows Defender enabled Updated D DDC A- F- FAE- E -DA C ACF Created a new restore point Resident AV is active Other Deletions c recycle bin S- - - - - - - c recycle bin S- - - - - - - c recycle bin S- - - - - - Only 1 user with black screen with cursor upon login - c users Robert McSparren AppData Roaming inst exe Files Created from - - to - - - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Only 1 user with black screen with cursor upon login Robert McSparren AppData Local temp - - - - -------- Only 1 user with black screen with cursor upon login d-----w- c users Karen AppData Local temp - - - - -------- d-----w- C mgtools - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files CCleaner - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Josh AppData Roaming Propellerhead Software - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Josh AppData Roaming vlc - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Trend Micro - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Josh AppData Roaming DivX - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Josh AppData Roaming Malwarebytes - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Josh AppData Roaming uTorrent - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Josh AppData Roaming Systweak - - - - ----a-w- c windows system kerberos dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system wdigest dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system msv dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system schannel dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system lsasrv dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers ksecdd sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system lsass exe - - - - ----a-w- c windows system secur dll - - - - ----a-w- c users Josh AppData Roaming SUPERAntiSpyware com SUPERAntiSpyware SDDLLS UIREPAIR DLL - - - - ----a-w- c users Josh AppData Local fusioncache dat - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Josh AppData Local ApplicationHistory - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Guest AppData Roaming Yahoo - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Guest AppData Roaming GTek - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Guest AppData Roaming Media Center Programs - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Guest - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Robert McSparren AppData Local temp - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Josh AppData Local Temp - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Robert McSparren New Folder - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Karen AppData Local ApplicationHistory - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Robert McSparren AppData Local Apps - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Robert McSparren AppData Roaming Winamp - - - - ----a-w- c users Robert McSparren AppData Local fusioncache dat - - - - -------- d-----w- c users Robert McSparren AppData Local ApplicationHistory - - - - -------- d-----w- c windows system URTTEMP - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mfeavfk sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mfesmfk sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mfebopk sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers Mpfp sys - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files McAfee com - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mferkdk sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system atl dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system wkssvc dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system mstscax dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows sys... Read more

A:Only 1 user with black screen with cursor upon login

Hello siennaimee,Please note the message text in blue at the top of the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis forums and then only when requested by a HJT Team member. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.Please create a new topic explaining the nature of your problem in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. Describe pop-ups and system tray or desktop icons that have appeared. Explain what is "going wrong" with your computer. Note any tools you have used and their respective results.If needed, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.Thank you for using BleepingComputer as your malware removal source.This topic is now closed. If you have any questions, please PM me or another Moderator.The BC Staff

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250812/only-1-user-with-black-screen-with-cursor-upon-login/
Relevancy 102.34%

hi i have a toshiba satellite laptop
and when i turn on the computer it starts
normal but when its about to get to the login
screen it turns black and only the cursor is present
and i tried to turn it off numerous times but no luck
and when its in safe mode it just says safe mode on the corners and in
the top center it says microsoft (r) windows (r) (build 6001: service pack 1)
please somebody help me! and its windows vista

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/login-screen-black-only-cursor-showing-450076.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Ok I noticed this just the other day that after I type Screen Black with Cursor = Login Slow my password in to login it goes to a black screen with a cursor on it Black Screen with Cursor = Slow Login for more than seconds before loading the desktop I believe this is due to drivers not properly loading but I do not know how to fix it Hopefully someone can help me with this problem Here is my ntbtlog showing the drivers loading when I login I am running Windows Home Premium ntbtlog Loaded driver SystemRoot system ntoskrnl exe Loaded driver SystemRoot system hal dll Loaded driver SystemRoot system kdcom dll Loaded driver SystemRoot system mcupdate GenuineIntel dll Loaded driver SystemRoot system PSHED dll Loaded driver SystemRoot system CLFS SYS Loaded Black Screen with Cursor = Slow Login driver SystemRoot system CI dll Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers Wdf sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers WDFLDR SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers sptd sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers WMILIB SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers SCSIPORT SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS ACPI sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS msisadrv sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS vdrvroot sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS pci sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers partmgr sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS volmgr sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers volmgrx sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers mountmgr sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS iaStor sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS jraid sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS amdxata sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers fltmgr sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers fileinfo sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers NISx SYMDS SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers NISx SYMEFA SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Ntfs sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers msrpc sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers ksecdd sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers cng sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers pcw sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Fs Rec sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers ndis sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers NETIO SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers ksecpkg sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers tcpip sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers fwpkclnt sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS volsnap sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers spldr sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers rdyboost sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers mup sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers hwpolicy sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System DRIVERS fvevol sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS disk sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS CLASSPNP SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS cdrom sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers NISx Ironx SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers NISx SRTSPX SYS Loaded driver C Windows system Drivers SYMEVENT x SYS Loaded driver Loaded driver Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers NISx SRTSP SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Null SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Beep SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers vga sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System DRIVERS RDPCDD sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers rdpencdd sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers rdprefmp sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Msfs SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Npfs SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS tdx sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers NISx SYMTDIV SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers afd sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System DRIVERS netbt sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS wfplwf sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS pacer sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS vwififlt sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS netbios sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS wanarp sys Loaded driver Syste... Read more

A:Black Screen with Cursor = Slow Login

The first thing to do when registering with our forum (especially if you have an issue you want assistance with) is to fill out your system specs. This allows our knowledgeable members to assist you better with your issue. It is very simple to do: please follow these steps below

First click on UserCP

Next click on Edit System Spec

Now you will see various fields for different types of hardware. Don't worry if you have no idea what kind of hardware it is asking for or the brand you have as I will explain how to get Windows to list it for you. For now keep that window open

Now click on start and type msinfo32.exe in the search field and press enter

Now you should have a window resembling mine below

With this information in hand lets start to fill out the specs

System Manufacture/Model Number
As you see in my screen shot I have no listing due to my laptop being a custom build (I made it myself). For most people out there usually this will list a name brand like Dell and a model like 1525.

OS
OS or Operating System for short is the main program that drive's your computer...notable example here being the Windows Operating System developed by Microsoft Corporation. Notice that I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64

CPU
CPU or Central Processing Unit (Processor) is the brain of the computer. Notice that I have an Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz

Motherboard
The motherboard is where all the hardware parts of the computer are connected to. Mine is a custom build JFT02

Memory
Memory is what allows applications to run on your computer. The more memory you have the faster an application start. I have 4GB of Memory

Graphics Card(s)
A graphics card/cards allow the computer to display an image to a monitor and allow you to play games. Notice I have a NVIDIA 8600M GT 512MB

Sound Card(s)
A sound card/cards allow the computer to play sound. Notice I have an HD Audio Device

Screen Resolution
This is the output measurement of the image being displayed by your monitor. Mine is 1680*1050

Hard Drives
Hard Drives are the primary storage of the computer (think of how this relates to a stomach on a human being). This is where your documents/music/photos/videos are located. Notice mine is a Seagate 7200RPM 120GB

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/86514-black-screen-cursor-slow-login.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I've searched all over for solutions to this. Upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro from 8 through the Windows Store. Everything seemed to go smoothly. Updated graphics card drivers prior to install of 8.1. Now whenever I start up, I can log in, but then it goes to a black screen with a cursor. Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring up the task manager and from there I can access programs and get on the internet. So after maybe 5 minutes or so after opening a program (usually firefox) the Metro screen randomly loads. None of the store apps worked, though I was able to find a fix for that. Some of them still don't work right though. Am I better off just reinstalling 8 and waiting for them to fix it? Or is there a better way to upgrade from 8 other than through the store?

A:Black screen and cursor after login. Windows 8.1

I have the same Video card as yours. You might want to re-install the Video driver from NVIDIA website but use the Custom Install instead. On the next screen. put a check mark on "Perform Clean Install".

In addition, make sure you have the latest BIOS installed from your MB manufacturer.

Good luck !!!

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/36556-black-screen-cursor-after-login-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 102.34%

So I recently installed Windows X Yosemite transformation pack but didn't like it and had to uninstall After uninstall it told me to press ok to restart But when I restarted flashing screen with black Login cursor I couldn't see the logon screen I tried moving my mouse pad and it would show the cursor but dissapear once movement stops I've done some research Login screen black with flashing cursor and found this gt https support microsoft com en-gb kb I believe this relates exactly to my issue but the workaround did not work PLEASE HELP THIS IS REALLY URGENT Login screen black with flashing cursor D SYSTEM Windows gb ram Nvidia gt m gb ddr Intel i u cpu with Intel HD Asus vivobook s Login screen black with flashing cursor cm Same thing in safe mode I just see cursor appear and safe mode text in each corner When I try reset PC it says gt unable to reset your PC A required drive partition is missing System restore gt to use system restore you must specify which windows installation to restore Restart this computer select an operating system and then select system restore HELP PLEASE RLLY URGEN

A:Login screen black with flashing cursor

Hello,

You can use Startup Repair and the other tools on the System Recovery Options menu to attempt repairs or restore data from a backup

You can try to perform a startup repair, visit the link below to learn more:
How do I fix a boot (startup) problem?

What to do if Windows won't start correctly?

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/65433-login-screen-black-flashing-cursor.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hi Today my Sony Vaio VPCEB C for after login Black cursor with minutes screen 10-15 E laptop with Windows Home Premium started showing a black screen for up to - minutes every time I log in This happens Black screen with cursor for 10-15 minutes after login in safe mode too The boot up until the login screen is fine - takes about seconds as I'm using a new SSD I find that I can open the task manager Sometimes explorer won't close in the Task Manager no matter what I do but after minutes everything works fine Other times I can kill the explorer process and re-open it with run and then things are back to normal Whatever happens once my taskbar eventually loads everything else seems to be running fine When I last rebooted my laptop a few days ago the laptop rebooted fine The only thing which I recall changing in the last few days is sharing a couple of folders on my home network and a Razer mouse driver updates I've been doing quite a lot of googling around the issue and trying out various solutions Things I've tried so far Malwarebytes scan Panda and avast antivirus scans Performing a clean boot disabling everything except microsoft services using msconfig sfc scannow chkdsk c f chkdsk c r Removing all network drives I had a look in Event Manager to see if I could see anything obvious and it said that the Panda Antivirus Protection service was taking a very long time to start so I uninstalled Panda and replaced it with Avast This had no effect I also just did a system restore to a point several days before the issue emerged The problem is still there None of these have made any difference to the issue At this point with the system restore not working I'm wondering if it could be hardware related I just had another look in the Event Viewer and noticed Event The Server service hung on starting and The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error After starting the service hung in a start-pending state These seem to happen on every boot at the time when it's a black screen If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears Thanks

A:Black screen with cursor for 10-15 minutes after login

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563526/black-screen-with-cursor-for-10-15-minutes-after-login/
Relevancy 102.34%

Hi all The wednesday before last under weeks ago I bought a brand new HP Pavillion DV laptop - the specs are Intel Core Duo T Ghz Proccessor GB Mhz RAM Geforce M GS MB Upto GB with Turbocache GB x GB RPM Harddrives Windows Vista Home Premium -Bit Now here s the problem - when I startup my system I first Black Attempt Cursor - with Screen on Login HELP! get to the login screen fine I select my logon enter my password and hit login It says it s logging in then the screen goes black and I have a cursor - that s it I can Ctrl Alt Delete and if I logout using Task Manager the second time I try to login it loads up fine What s going on here It didn t do this before - when it did start Black Screen with Cursor on first Login Attempt - HELP! doing it last days it was Black Screen with Cursor on first Login Attempt - HELP! on and off ie it didnt happen all the time but today it s done it everytime I m not sure when it started doing this exactly Please can somebody help me fix this Also since i ve bought the laptop it s slowed down for example when logging in and trying to load a program it s got quite a bit slower As i ve mentioned ive had it under weeks and i ve also run Virus and Spyware scans with AVG Spybot etc as well as defragmenting the hard drive - is there a problem or is it because I have a very slow hard drive Was fine when I first got it Thankyou to anyone who can help me Regards Robin nbsp

A:Black Screen with Cursor on first Login Attempt - HELP!

Okay i've pretty much sorted out the slowing down problem ( was to do with Turbocache on graphics card.)

But the logon problem is still there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-cursor-on-first-login-attempt-help.630943/
Relevancy 102.34%

Hola... Well, A Vista issue..

A perfectly working Vista machine, on startup after login we go to a black screen with a cursor in normal or safe mode, thought it might be busy, but ran all night and never completely booted up, if ctl-alt-del, you can log off normal, and shut down or restart.

Unfortunately I was a MS dummie and never made a sys restore point, but beyond that this should not happen, and I am probally not the only one.

Any others with this issue and any resolve other than re-installing windows.

Thank you in advance.

A:Win Vista black screen after login, and only cursor

Call the OEM of this machine and see what they have to say.
Different OEM's are having different issues with their hardware.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-vista-black-screen-after-login-and-only-cursor.611653/
Relevancy 102.34%

It started a morning a few days ago. When I login on any user, nothing shows up, not even a cursor. It's just black.
So I got into safe mode and disabled my graphics card (intel 965 integrated) and everything worked. So now I have my graphics card disabled, but I can't have the Aero effects or the screen resolution.

The driver installed is the latest one, and I have tried the Prevx fix and everything.
Also ctrl alt delete in the blank screen works (the blue menu shows up full screen)
but when I click Task Manager, it goes back to the black screen.

What should I do?

Relevancy 102.34%

When i try to turn on my computer it boots up regularly, but after the "starting windows" logo is done the screen goes black with just a visible active cursor in the middle. The computer will not start in safe mode either, encountering the same problem.

This is leaving me with little options to explore the problem, but so far I've tried to repair the windows installation with no success, but i have created a temporary windows 7 OS on another partition.

Anyone know what to do in these situations?

A:Black screen before login, with cursor active

Please follow - Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/299576-black-screen-before-login-cursor-active.html
Relevancy 102.34%

After booting the computer and logging in I am at a black screen with a cursor, I can use ctrl+alt+dlt to open task manager. I am not able to open explorer.exe

I had problems with the Blue screen of death multiple times and ended up doing a complete factory restore on my computer. After the factory restore is when I encountered this current problem with the black screen.

I've seen numerous posts on this topic, but none have lead me in the correct direction since many of the solutions required being able to open explorer.exe

The black screen with cursor also happens in safe mode. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and I will need it somewhat dumbed down for the instructions. Thanks.

Gateway - All in One PC - ZX4951
Windows 7 Home Premium

-Andrew

A:Black Screen with cursor after login - no explorer.exe

Hello and welcome Andrew as you are willing to reinstall then I suggest you do this
Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 make sure you pick the right version from the list of ISO's as the wrong one will show up as invalid width the activation code on your machine sticker.
To pick the right version see pic and as an advantage this will get rid of all the factory bloatware

You will of course need access to another machine to download that ISO - I use a disk but a stick will do I just prefer the disk myself.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/330139-black-screen-cursor-after-login-no-explorer-exe.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hello all I had some memory issues with my login 7 cursor a only screen, x64 Windows Black computer recently had to adjust the timings and now that they work ran memtest for hours w o an error Windows can't seem to boot Alright so the login screen is black only with a cursor the at ease panel windows Black login screen, only a cursor Windows 7 x64 pro logo center bottom and shutdown red button in it's normal position Although the at ease button and shutdown button don't display anything when clicked but they do work example I can shutdown using the shutdown button The same thing happens for safe-mode OK here's the strange thing when my external hard drive is unplugged it goes straight to the above screen But when the external hard drive is on while the boot starts I just get a complete black screen When I turn it off during the complete black screen phase it'll go right to the regular one Black login screen, only a cursor Windows 7 x64 above with the logo cursor only I've also entered repair and tried to restore to a previous point but it's pulling the from the E drive which isn't the drive I installed windows on If you couldn't guess the E drive was the label for the external hard drive Please help and I appreciate any feedback I'll be at work soon and will be able to respond quickly all day but I won't be able to adjust my computer Thanks

A:Black login screen, only a cursor Windows 7 x64

I'm having the same problem on my 32bit system.

try this

1. When you see the black screen and white cursor press CTRL+ALT+DEL
2. Select Task Manager
3. File > New Task (Run...)
4. Type explorer.exe

It's a temp fix but you'll have to repeat the steps when you machine starts up again.

Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/68128-black-login-screen-only-cursor-windows-7-x64.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I have an HP dv9500t Intel T7300 C2D w/ 2 GB memory and Vista Premium. This has just started in the last couple of days after installing Trend Micro Internet Security. After boot up and entering my password on the login screen, the login begins with the colored Vista screen and the spinning circle (hour glass) and then will fade to black with nothing but the cursor visible. It will stay this way from anywhere between 1-3 minutes and finally will finish the login and the main screen will come up. It's very frustrating.

I have even uninstalled Trend Micro and it is still doing the same thing. Any known fixes for this problem? Are there any Vista updates for this problem. If anyone has had this problem and has a solution, it would be greatly appreicated. This laptop is only a month old!!!

Relevancy 101.91%

Hi First sorry if this problem already has been adressed elsewhere I have googled for roughly hours and now im spent I have encountered a problem regarding the screen format of (with boot / Black after won't death cursor) Windows boot process of my computer ASUS N SV Laptop with Windows Premium bit installed Yesterday i formated a harddrive My computer has harddrives labelled C and D Windows is installed on the C drive and i formated the D drive using the designed windows tool Today Windows won't boot after format / Black screen of death (with cursor) my laptop has been unable to boot At first the computer appears to be booting however after the quot Windows is starting quot along with the Windows logo has been present for a while a screen similar to this one appears http cdn howtogeek Windows won't boot after format / Black screen of death (with cursor) com wp-content png Trying to start normally loops back around to the same screen trying to repair the computer results in the computer ending up with a black screen with the mouse cursor present and able to move around However the following problems are present - I cannot open task manager or anything else for that matter at the mouse cursor screen thus i can't use the quot restart explorer exe solution quot or anything software related for that matter - When trying to enter Safe Mode i end up with Windows won't boot after format / Black screen of death (with cursor) the same screen and limited options This goes for all variations of safe mode along with the quot Last good configuration quot and quot low resolution video quot options as well - When trying to boot from a Recovery disc created from another Win pc i end up in the same situation - I have tried to download a win ISO file as described elsewhere and boot from that with the same luck - I have tried to disable the harddrive entirely in the BIOS - no luck either - Removing all USB related plugins does nothing So to sum up - Normal startup Restart loop - Repair startup Black screen of death with mouse cursor present moveable but cant do anything - Safe mode variations same - Recovery disc same - Windows installation disc same - I can't seem to open a command promt As everything on the PC is backed up i do not have any problems in doing complete wipe of everything on the PC Factory reset thus if any solution exists where i can simply reinstall windows bear in mind i can't enter any sort of software or command prompt

A:Windows won't boot after format / Black screen of death (with cursor)

It sounds like you are not setting the machine to boot from disc first

Sorry i dont know your computer experience but are you sure you have entered bios and double checked the boot order ?
DVD first them HDD second
Also are you sure you have created your media correctly ie bootable
Be aware a recovery disc created on a 32 bit machine will only work if your machine is 32 bit and same for 64 bit
You could also try putting your downloaded iso onto a usb flash drive and boot from that if you are having optical drive issues

Tutorial here for reinstalling and the first part gives instructions for download and burn to usb if it helps
Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/303443-windows-wont-boot-after-format-black-screen-death-cursor.html
Relevancy 101.91%

KSOD with cursor I usually fix my computers that I build myself but I'm appealing to the accumulated wisdom here because of Win7 all modes cursor screen with boot Black death on I'm at my wits end and trying to avoid reinstalling Windows from scratch and putting back software for a week Needless to Win7 Black screen of death with cursor on all boot modes say I Win7 Black screen of death with cursor on all boot modes went through all the tutorials and how-tos on BSOD KSOD Windows won't boot and the like especially on this forum My computer is running Windows Ultimate x Symptoms My computer wouldn't come out of hibernation happens once in a while so I forced it shut and restarted it Since then it won't boot Boot in Normal mode Black screen with cursor Keyboard active num caps work no mouse CTRL-ALT-DEL or any other key combination nothing I'm able to go into the Windows boot menu by pressing F so Safe Mode same with bigger cursor Safe Mode w Networking same Safe Mode w Command Prompt same Last Known Good Configuration same Low resolution boot same Leaving the black screen on for some time nothing What I attenpted so far to Win7 Black screen of death with cursor on all boot modes avoid unnecessary responses and waste of time - Went to the quot Repair options quot screen from windows boot menu - Startup Repair numerous times Disn't find any problems - System Restore Could not find restore point which is false as I have some automatic restore points - System Image Recover Couldn't find image - Windows Memory Diagnostics no problems found Then I went to the command prompt and everything I tried from here on was from there - Chkdsk on the boot disk no problems found I could check that all my data which sits on different disks anyway is there and safe so rescueing's not the issue - Windows Defender Offline Ran that no issues - SFC Scan Now this is interesting because it will run with the usual options scannow offwindir c windows offbootdir c it will report that it found corrupt files and successfully repaired them but I think it does nothing at all The cbs log file holds lots of stuff but absolutely no sign of any relevant action - neither which files had an issue and were fixed nor of the fix itself I searched for the SR marker and there are none to be found It's like SFC found problems but could neither fix them nor tell me about it I attached a copy of the CBS LOG file if its contents mean something to someone If anyone can help me with this they would be my savior Thanks to all

A:Win7 Black screen of death with cursor on all boot modes

Please post exact sfc command you did. (I think it was correct btw). It took many minutes to complete? did it report "no integrity errors found" ?
It doesn't create a logfile because you ran it in recovery environment. To create a logfile:

Code:
set WINDOWS_TRACING_LOGFILE=C:\CBS.log
after that run the SFC command. When it has finished you have a file C:\CBS.LOG

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/314606-win7-black-screen-death-cursor-all-boot-modes.html
Relevancy 101.91%

Greetings I restore movable system screen after death Black of with cursor sincerely hope that someone here can help me I had a windows update that would not install got stuck at part after about hrs I Black screen of death with movable cursor after system restore went ahead and turned off and restarted the computer I could get into windows but it was super slow I Black screen of death with movable cursor after system restore restarted in quot plain quot safe mode and everything work fine I ran MBAM and AVAST and they did not find anything I restarted in safe mode with networking to update the scanners just in case and the system again ran super slow I was able to update MBAM after about - hours so i restarted in plain safe mode ran MBAM still found nothing I ran windows defender and found nothing I tried safe mode with networking still super slow I decided that perhaps it was the windows update that was the issue and i used safe mode to restore the computer to a date prior to the update This caused a NEW problem Now I will go through POST just fine see the windows green bar just fine flash the windows logo screen ok but instead of seeing the log in page I will get a black screen with a movable cursor This occurs even if safe mode is selected any variety On the black screen with movable cursor arrow after POST and before the log in screen I have tried Ctrl-Alt-Delete nothing happens Pressing shift times this brings up the sticky keys dialogue box Pressing the windows button on the keyboard nothing happens I restarted the computer and used f to enter the quot advanced quot start up options Here are my results Startup Repair finds nothing wrong Repeated system restore with a different date --problem still occurs did this for dates Windows memory diagnostic tool no problems found CMD chkdsk r for C fails to run says quot Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process quot I tell it Y to run at the next restart but it never runs just boots up to the black screen with cursor I have tried USB based recovery disks and burning various cd recovery disks but the computer will not boot from them Yes I ve changed the bios it just quot hangs quot on a black screen with blinking cursor in top left if I select anything other than the hard drive I ve left it for an hour like this the whole time the USB light is on but nothing ever loads for the cds sometimes the reader is spinning sometimes it just flashes a few times and moves on to load from the hard drive I ve tried three different recovery programs in both usb and cd form I have an ACER aspire M desktop GB ram Vista Home Premium I use Avast and Malware Bytes for antivirus and spyware respectively I do not have recovery disks I use ACERs built in Windows System Recovery Options I am willing to quot give up quot at this point but only if I can copy my files Is there a way to use the system recovery command prompt to copy my files I have a second internal hard drive or I have a USB external drive Any suggestions on how to either fix the black screen or recover my files Thanks Ambam nbsp

A:Black screen of death with movable cursor after system restore

Pull out the hard drive and put it aside for now. Get a new drive and install it. Load Windows fresh. Apply all the drivers and Windows updates. Install the old drive as a second drive and recover your important files that way

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-of-death-with-movable-cursor-after-system-restore.179258/
Relevancy 101.48%

I was customizing some windows login bmp's and when I put the computer to sleep and woke it back up death login; Black screen of during tried basically everything to test the login screen I got the black screen of death I'm not sure why this happened because I've modified this and other bmp's without any problem By the way the bitmap in question is one of the user tile pictures It seems like windows freaks out if just one bmp is invalid I've tried restarting and got the same black screen even though the computer boots right to the desktop after restarting automatic login without showing the Black screen of death during login; tried basically everything user tile I've read tons of posts regarding similar issues but I haven't been able to resolve my issue Here's what I've tried All configurations of safe mode i e networking command prompt etc System restore Startup repair Sfc scannow None of these worked I've done successful system restores in the past but those restore points are not available anymore and the two Black screen of death during login; tried basically everything that I have now didn't work Again task manager is NOT available and safe mode also goes to the black screen I don't have all my files backed up Ironically I was looking for external hard drives earlier but I haven't bought one yet The copy of windows that I have was a LEGAL downloaded copy so no recovery discs or flash drives The worst part about this is that I know exactly what file is causing the issue but I just can't access it All I need is to be able to access my files in order to solve this issue

A:Black screen of death during login; tried basically everything

You can download Mint or Ubuntu Linux and burn it to a DVD, then boot from it and access your files.  Both these versions of Linux have Windows like user interfaces so there's very little to learn in order to use them.  Mint is closer than Ubuntu, but either one would serve you well.  Just go to mintlinux.com or ubuntu.com and download an ISO image, burn it to a DVD, and boot from it.  You'll be up and running in 3 min.  You don't have to install anything, just click TRY when you boot from the disc.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/538476/black-screen-of-death-during-login;-tried-basically-everything/
Relevancy 101.48%

I ve been handed a Vista Home Premium laptop to mend and whilst I ve got it going I m posting this to share my discoveries for what seems to be a not uncommon problem I must say that having read lots of other posts on this subject my solution solved & Vista black cursor - login gives screen may not be the one relevant to anyone else I m not explaining all the details as I would Vista login gives black screen & cursor - solved do normally because if you need them explaining then perhaps this post is not for you The problem was that on boot up all looks well but having logged on the user is presented with a black screen and a cursor which can be moved There is also disk activity but it never gets any further Ctrl Alt Del won t even bring up its menu Booting into safe mode and logging in gives the safe mode screen safe more in the corners and a cursor but nothing else - no task bar etc This time Ctrl Alt Del will bring up a menu but selecting Task Manager apparently does nothing Having used Linux tools to make sure all was backed up I ran a chkdsk on the drive removed it and ran it on another computer but nothing showed up I then booted into safe mode with command prompt which worked - at least in part I was given a command prompt window so was able to try and run things rstrui and explorer appeared to do nothing though trying rstrui again gave the message that it was already running I was able to access a memory stick and also able to run Process Explorer which showed that rstrui and explorer were indeed running so I killed them I noticed that one instance of svchost exe was using CPU so I killed it and tried starting explorer from the command prompt and I got up the safe mode help screen and the task bar I was also able to run rstrui again but found there were no restore points I think the owner might have killed any that were there by her own initial attempts - it s certainly set to make them Occasionally the svchost exe started again but I m not sure exactly what was happening there While svchost was running I was able to get into event viewer and could get at most windows logs but it never completed finding system events so maybe there s a corruption there I set the Windows Event Log service to disabled and rebooted and the machine booted up OK and logged in I then changed svchost service to manual and started the service without any apparent problems although the event viewer just says quot Expand in progress quot and then shows Event Viewer local with a no entry sign Rebooting with the service set to manual gave the same original problem so back to safe mode command prompt to kill the svchost item Having killed the svchost process I restarted the windows event log service and was able to view the system log this time I took the opportunity to clear all windows logs and then try rebooting again and this time it started OK I had noticed that the system event log had entries in it and the application log wasn t too far behind It all seems to be working again now and my feeling is that it probably had something to do with the log event files maybe corrupt or too big nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-login-gives-black-screen-cursor-solved.1001701/
Relevancy 101.48%

Hi There could be cursor after only Windows screen SOLUTION black login 8 causes for this problem The NVIDIA graphics card is updating itself during sleep mode Solution Boot into safe mode Go to device manager display adapters double clicks on the graphic card driver Select Driver tab clicks on the Roll Back Driver button Restart done To avoid this problem to happen again turn off the NVIDIA automatic update feature Go NVIDIA control panel - gt Help - gt updates select Preferences tab uncheck the automatically check for updates A windows update could be the problem Solution From the Start screen type 'reset' to open the Search charm and then select Remove everything and reinstall Windows from the search results Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows click Get started On Windows 8 black screen only cursor after login SOLUTION the Reset your PC screen click Next If prompted insert your Windows installation disc or recovery media If your computer has more than one drive installed you must select whether you want to reset only the drive where Windows is installed or reset all drives Make your selection and then click Next Select Just remove my files Then click Next On the Ready to Windows 8 black screen only cursor after login SOLUTION reset your PC screen click Reset Wait while Windows resets your computer This might take awhile Windows 8 black screen only cursor after login SOLUTION and your computer will restart After the recovery manually fully update the pc go to start type 'Update' and execute all the updates repeat until there are no updates left I hope this helps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566912/windows-8-black-screen-only-cursor-after-login-solution/
Relevancy 101.48%

i have dell xps with gb ram and gb hdd win the probleam is that days ago suddenly my system crash and when im trying to star it back it showed black screen with cursor on it i have tried various kinds of thing recovery but they dint work lastly i was reading on internet this might be because of some sot of virus or malware sooo i connected my laptops hdd to a desktop and found c drive partition is not working so checked the properties and found that the missing with then is screen bootmgr and cursor login black properties have been deleted so i give c drive all permissions after that when im trying to fix back the hdd into my laptop it black login screen with cursor and then bootmgr is missing is showing BOOTMGR IS MISSING i have tried to boot from dvd but it dint work i have tried to boot from USB but it dit not work as well i have tried to boot from use by using ubuntu but it did not work as well i have been using laptop from years and never ever needed to format it i am very frusted now because of all these plzzzzz help

A:black login screen with cursor and then bootmgr is missing

From the DVD, did you get a "Repair your Computer" option?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-login-screen-with-cursor-and-then-bootmgr-is-missing-911818.html
Relevancy 101.05%

Hello everyone First of all I will divide my statement by sections so it would be easier to read Section The problem - description of it Section How I manage the problem "loading cursor" Black no on screen and screen with login Boot. Section Things and methods that I have tried - all unsuccessfully Section My own findings to help with further analysis So here we go Section Whenever I start windows it will boot normally up Black screen with "loading cursor" and no login screen on Boot. until Windows logo screen where balls meet to form windows logo at this logo screen I can already notice slow pace as it stays in it for a good minute Afterwards it will be just black screen for a minute Then mouse cursor will appear with faster sensitivity than my usual and it will transform into a loading wheel cursor after another minute And now it reached state in which it can stay for hours Only black screen and loading mouse wheel note that it is always spinning and I can always move it it is not frozen Section So the only way for me to login is to leave it be for at least about hours and it will start itself Usually I do this overnight and in the morning it is already at the desktop and works like nothing ever happened I can do whatever then everything will work perfectly fine Crysys works fine YouTube works fine - no trace of any problem So while I can always just Hibernate and sleep my PC I need to restart it sometimes EDIT Now after those hours or more it will simply display ordinary mouse pointer on a black screen and act as if I am in login screen For example it will sleep after mins of no movement and instantly wake up on activity Section So far I have tried those methods Clean boot All of F advanced boot options Only safe mode and repair windows work sfc scannow in Safe Mode Uninstalling video card driver and reinstalling with the latest compatible CCleaner while in normal mode Other anti virus and malware softwares Windows restore no back up point Deleting network drivers Reinstalling them Disabling all network related devices in the Device Manager Section While Fail Safe mode works neatly Fail safe mode with networking support loads but freezes after about seconds And won't unfreeze only mouse will be movable but everything will be irresponsive and will give me errors like shown on the post here below in the replies It appears to be happened after I downloaded windows update for Virtual machine support During the update I went away from my laptop when I left it was restarting itself to apply updates and when I came back hour later I found my laptop on the same black screen with loading mouse cursor I waited minutes more and forcefully restarted it And it was black screen again Since then I have uninstalled everything regarding that update and virtual machine through programs and features in the windows updates tab There were few times when I saw a BSOD after black screen stood for about hours But was unable to read them fast enough Sometimes the laptop monitor will change its brightness during black screen The laptop will restart itself after about hour of black screen and go into it again --- EDITs Sorry for the edits guys I am using Android to write this and I want my post to look both informative and easy to read --- I usually solve problems like this myself through hardcore researching and analysis but I fail on this one Thank you everyone who will try to help and suggest anything Thank you for your time ExacT

A:Black screen with "loading cursor" and no login screen on Boot.

It sounds like something is trying to load and run in the background.
Download DDS from one of these links:
DDS.com
DDS.pifDisable any script blocking protection
Double click the dds icon to run the tool.
When done, DDS will open two (2) logs: DDS.txt
Attach.txt <--- will be minimized in the task tray

Save both reports to your desktop.
Include the contents of both logs in your next post.
The scan will instruct you to post Attach.txt as an attachment. You can post both logs as attachments.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/344159-black-screen-loading-cursor-no-login-screen-boot.html
Relevancy 101.05%

I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I was using chkdisk and now it will not boot anymore. It only goes so far as to have a black screen and a mouse cursor. If I leave it like that it will eventually reboot and then comes back to the black screen with the mouse cursor. I was wondering if it is possible to repair my system without reinstalling the entire operating system. I don't have a CD or DVD, just a recovery partition.

A:Black screen with mouse cursor

Welcome
It sounds like you may have a hard drive problem. Can you boot in safe mode?

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/298422-black-screen-mouse-cursor.html
Relevancy 101.05%

Last night i turned off my desktop from Start>shut down but i realized it didn't really turn off. I turned on the monitor and all i saw was a black screen with a mouse cursor. I shut it off from the tower and went to sleep.

When i woke up and turned the desktop on and i get past the windows start up(windows 7 logo) but all i get is a black screen with a mouse cursor where you are suppose to log in from. Any help would be appreciated.

A:black screen with a mouse cursor

Hello! You should have let Windows shut down the pc on it's own. Pressing the power button to shut it down might have caused issues.

Reboot then as soon as you see your Computer Name system post logo, HP, Dell etc...

Tapping F8 go to Advanced Options or Repair Computer select the language then select "Repair Your Computer" Windows will look for errors if any weather or not it does go to other options go to command prompt type in
CHKDSK C: /R
This will attempt to fix any file system errors and repair any corrupted system files.
This check Disk will take some time be patient have a cup of coffee or a whole pot.

When the scan is complete reboot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-a-mouse-cursor-630404.html
Relevancy 101.05%

I've seen a lot of posts on the internet about a black screen after a reboot. My problem is similar but it happens after I lock windows (Win->L). I get a black screen and can see/move the mouse cursor around but cannot ever get the login screen again. Crtl-Alt-Delete does nothing. I end up having to do a hard reboot. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 on an ASUS p6t board. I've checked the event logs and there is nothing before the hard reboot. Any ideas?

A:Black screen with mouse cursor, can't log in

Originally Posted by DigitalMan

I've seen a lot of posts on the internet about a black screen after a reboot. My problem is similar but it happens after I lock windows (Win->L). I get a black screen and can see/move the mouse cursor around but cannot ever get the login screen again. Crtl-Alt-Delete does nothing. I end up having to do a hard reboot. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 on an ASUS p6t board. I've checked the event logs and there is nothing before the hard reboot. Any ideas?

This will happen if your partition table got corrupted. U would try these methods.

Boot from your vista cd and select repair my computer>startup repair. If still unsolved, Boot from your vista dvd repair my computer>select command prompt and type these commands,

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Let me know the result....

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/220775-black-screen-mouse-cursor-cant-log.html
Relevancy 101.05%

Hi Everyone This is my first time posting here so sorry if these are the wrong subforums The computer is an prebuilt hp envy h - Last week I went to turn on the family computer and after the boot loading where you see the HP logo with the loading circle underneath a black only Cursor Screen Black with Mouse screen appeared with a beep I could move the mouse around and it seemed like basic functionality worked I could turn on voice assistance but I couldn't get it to load the desktop CTRL-ALT-DEL didn't work either I did see the power hdd cdrom lights on the tower working but the hdd light was permanently on not flashing like it was stuck loading or something I tried rebooting a bunch of times and at one point I did get to the desktop but it was glitched where the taskbar was a faded colour the windows button didn't work none of the desktop icons opened and the right side of the screen had a black bar Unfortunately I shutdown the computer before thinking of trying ctrl-alt-del I then tried to plug the desktop into another monitor and the same issue persisted so I doubt it was the graphics card Afterwards I ran HP's Black Screen with only Mouse Cursor UEFI thing and did a start-up test it failed at the Hard Disk Short DST test it also gave me an error code that came up with nothing on Google The HDD Smart pci device processor and memory tests passed Next I booted into Recovery Mode and tried to use a restore point a week earlier but after it was done the same issue still happened I also randomly started getting a Windows Blue Screen Error xc which seems like a hard drive failure Black Screen with only Mouse Cursor Then I tried refreshing using system recovery but got a strange message The Drive where Windows is installed is locked Automatic Repair also failed and told me to go to system logfiles srt srttrail txt which is useless to me since I can't even load the desktop Afterwards I tried unplugging the hard drive and booting without it hoping it would reset everything I reconnected the drive but nothing changed except now in the cmd prompt it shows X as the default drive instead of C I think I tried using sfc scannow but got the error message Windows Resource protection could not start the repair service bootrec rebuildbcd was met with another pointless message Total identified windows installations completed successfully Using chkdsk c f x r told me that Windows scanned the file systems and found no problems At this point I unplugged the hard drive plugged it into a different computer and found that I could access all of my files there fine I'm currently scanning it with panda antivirus but I doubt that will come up with anything Anyone might know what the problem is or what steps I should take next I've been at it for days scouring the internet for clues and nothing has been working At this point I'm considering just backing up all my files and then doing a factory reset although I'm not even sure if that will work Please help

A:Black Screen with only Mouse Cursor

The "Hard Disk Short DST" is an indication that your HD is nearing death. I suspect the hd corruption killed the video drivers.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/619474/black-screen-with-only-mouse-cursor/
Relevancy 101.05%

I was reading through your website and found the forum on a black screen with only a cursor available My laptop has the same problem right now That froum with cursor screen mouse Black a only is now closed I ran the Black screen with only a mouse cursor program frst on my laptop I have attached the results below and was wondering if you could help me out I am not sure how to fix it Thanks a million Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST txt x Version - - Ran by SYSTEM on MININT-B FD R on - - Running from H Windows Professional Service Pack X OS Language English US Internet Explorer Version Boot Mode RecoveryThe current controlset is ControlSet ATTENTION gt If the system is bootable FRST could be run from normal or Black screen with only a mouse cursor Safe mode to create a complete log Registry Whitelisted HKLM Run HPPowerAssistant - C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Power Assistant HPPA Main exe - - Hewlett-Packard Company HKLM Run SynTPEnh - C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe - - Synaptics Incorporated HKLM Run HPWirelessAssistant - C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Wireless Assistant HPWA Main exe - - Hewlett-Packard HKLM Run BTMTrayAgent - rundll exe C Program Files Motorola Bluetooth btmshell dll TrayAppHKLM Run SysTrayApp - C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe - - IDT Inc HKLM Run HotKeysCmds - C windows system hkcmd exe HKLM Run ATT-SST McciTrayApp - C Program Files ATT-SST pcTrayApp exe - - Alcatel-Lucent HKLM RunOnce WerKernelReporting - SYSTEMROOT SYSTEM WerFault exe -k -rq - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM Winlogon Userinit C Windows system userinit exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP ProtectTools Security Manager Bin DPAgent exe Winlogon Notify igfxcui C Windows system igfxdev dll Intel Corporation HKLM-x Run IAStorIcon - C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Rapid Storage Technology IAStorIcon exe - - Intel Corporation HKLM-x Run PDF Complete - C Program Files x PDF Complete pdfsty exe - - PDF Complete Inc HKLM-x Run McAfee Managed Services Tray - C Program Files x McAfee Managed VirusScan DesktopUI XTray exe - - McAfee Inc HKLM-x Run File Sanitizer - C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard File Sanitizer coreshredder exe - - Hewlett-Packard HKLM-x Run DTRun - C Program Files x Arcsoft TotalMedia Suite TotalMedia Theatre uDTRun exe - - ArcSoft Inc HKLM-x Run NortonOnlineBackupReminder - C Program Files x Symantec Norton Online Backup Activation NobuActivation exe - - Symantec Corporation HKLM-x Run SunJavaUpdateSched - C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe - - Sun Microsystems Inc HKLM-x Run QLBController - C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP HotKey Support QLBController exe - - Hewlett-Packard Company HKLM-x Run APSDaemon - C Program Files x Common Files Apple Apple Application Support APSDaemon exe - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run iTunesHelper - C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe - - Apple Inc HKU Default Run HPADVISOR - C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Advisor HPAdvisor exe - - Hewlett-Packard HKU Default User Run HPADVISOR - C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Advisor HPAdvisor exe - - Hewlett-Packard HKU Newman Run HPADVISOR - C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Advisor HPAdvisor exe - - Hewlett-Packard HKU Newman Run LightScribe Control Panel - C Program Files x Common Files LightScribe LightScribeControlPanel exe - - Hewlett-Packard Company HKU Newman Run Regedit - C windows system regedit exeHKU Newman Run ApplePhotoStreams - C Program Files x Common Files Apple Internet Services ApplePhotoStreams exe - - Apple Inc HKU Newman Run com apple dav bookmarks daemon - C Program Files x Common Files Apple Internet Services BookmarkDAV client exe - - Apple Inc Lsa Notification Packages DPPassFilter scecliStartup C Users Newman AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Start Menu Programs Startup h ibnjwv lnkShortcutTarget h ibnjwv lnk - gt C ProgramData vwjnbi h jss Microsoft Corporation Startup C Users Newman AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Start Menu Programs Startup OneNote Screen... Read more

A:Black screen with only a mouse cursor

Does anyone have any advice? Please....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517442/black-screen-with-only-a-mouse-cursor/
Relevancy 101.05%

I've got a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop I'm helping a friend try and fix.
I believe it has Windows 8 Pro.
After powering up past the bios screen and the "starting windows" screen, it is just a black screen showing the mouse cursor, which moves around without issue. It does the exact same thing in safe mode.
I've tried loading last good configuration, the dell diagnostics, the Kaspersky rescue disc, and reseating the ram.
Not sure where to go from here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612343/black-screen-mouse-cursor/
Relevancy 101.05%

Hi guys. I hope you can help. I have windows xp sp3. When my pc boots it only shows a black screen with a mouse cursor that I can move. ctrl alt delete doesnt work. Neither did system restore. I can boot into windows safe mode. Ive run super malware removal, it found 8 files but didnt fix the issue. The files they found were definitely not infected but thats another story.
Suggestions ?

A:Mouse cursor and black screen

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Dells and Fixmbr Command - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19304465/19589396.aspx

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/431613/mouse-cursor-and-black-screen/
Relevancy 101.05%

I have hp ENVY 23, with win 8, i5, 8GB, when I start the computer I see the hp sign then the turning circle of windows turns for a while, then the screen becomes black with the sound of windows start, I can move and see the mouse cursor, but nothing else,
the screen is black, I tried when I press start to press repeatedly ESC, F8,F9,F10,F11 to enter the boot mode but I only had a screen says that window detected stuck key for few seconds then it continues to windows start with black screen, I tried also to
disconnect the electricity, press start button for 15 seconds, nothing changed, any idea how to regain control of the computer.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d549e58b-f510-4583-97ff-4210bdbbce93/black-screen-with-mouse-cursor?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 101.05%

Working on a Dell XPS 410 running Windows Vista. First booted into normal mode...after Vista loads the desktop comes to a screen that is completely blacked out, except for the mouse cursor that does move around. The system does boot into safe mode...even safe mode w/ networking. So I installed Malwarebytes and updated to latest version and performed a full scan. About 40 infections were found and successfully quarantined and deleted. When I was promted to reboot the system, I did so and let it boot into normal mode. But to no avail did the removal of found infections seem to fix whatever problems is causing this solid black desktop with no icons, taskbar, or anything except a movable mouse cursor. Does anybody have any ideas I can try before I decide to just re-install Vista anew. Thanks for any and all help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-w-mouse-cursor-458229.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I used dejco's Logon Studio many times, but this last time (after an update reset my login screen) made my computer crap out. After the logon was applied, I had to shut the computer down. Windows Explorer wouldn't respond, so I did a hard shutdown. On reboot, I got the Black Screen with a visible and controllable cursor. I've disabled driver signature enforcement for development reasons. I've read across the net that it could be bad display adapter drivers conflictiong with the shell. I've tried System Restore, and I've tried restoring a backup. I also ran checkdisk as well as sfc /scannow in WinRE. CCleaner and a select few other apps from my HDD run, but the majority give me the typical subsystem-not-present error. I'm using an ubuntu live CD right now. I'd rather avoid a reinstall, as I have almost a terabyte of stuff I can't lose. How the heck do i fix this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/391164-windows-black-screen-death-beore-login.html
Relevancy 99.76%

My laptop is stuck at the boot screen with a black screen and the mouse cursor on there. I cant get into task manager, safe mode still has the same problem and i have tried booting from the Vista CD to do a repair but it comes up 'windows is loading files' and then just goes to the black screen with the mouse cursor again!

A:Black screen with mouse cursor on boot

Hello ToonArmy,

You might be able to do a factory recovery of Vista. If your not sure of how to do a factory recovery, then post back with what brand is your laptop and I'll be happy to see if I can wrangle up some instructions from your laptop manufacturer's website for you.

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/232694-black-screen-mouse-cursor-boot.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi Everyone I m new to the board I am having this annoying problem with my pc This is a Black Problem: Mouse with Cursor Screen Pc new computer which I bought two days ago I get this annoying black screen and Pc Problem: Black Screen with Mouse Cursor I m able to move the mouse cursor around but no matter what I press I can not get out of it Its random and does not happen all the time It usually happens when I m exiting a game And instead of sending me to my desktop the screen is black And it forces me to have to shutdown the computer by pressing the shut off button Here are my pc specs Maingear AMD X Dual Asus M N-SLI Delux Motherboard Western Digital gb hard drive Nvidia Geforce GT gb Corsair Mem Running Windows XP Home Ed All the video drivers are downloaded including the beta drivers I am also running Direct X c I hope the video card does not have some sort of flaw to it I would really appreciate the help it would save me from having to bring the PC back Another thing I also reinstalled windows to see if it would make a difference and it didn t nbsp

A:Pc Problem: Black Screen with Mouse Cursor

Downloaded the 85.96 drivers, I do not seem to be having the problem anymore. Running Half Life 2 at MAX.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-problem-black-screen-with-mouse-cursor.55297/
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi all I haven screen black mouse 8.1 Windows with cursor t recently built a new pc and it was all working perfectly fine until today I was on my desktop and noticed a small button next to my main power button on my case Fractal design define r I pressed it and it reset my pc turns out it was a reset button lol the issues is when I booted my pc back up everything seemed fine at first but then I noticed the purple welcome login screen which is different from the usual blue logging in screen that you get At the point where I should have been taken to my desktop a black screen appears with nothing but my mouse cursor I can move the cursor around but that s about it I can still access my bios on boot and I can access my task manager using control alt delete I managed to get my pc running on safe mode using the task manager to run my msconfig however I do not know what to do from here as I m completely clueless what resetting my pc actually did and am unable Windows 8.1 black screen with mouse cursor to make amends I have uninstall ed my graphics card drivers but that was not of use either Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am completely stuck and clueless as to what I should do next to resolve the issue Thank you in advance System specs CPU Intel I - GPU Asus gtx strix Motherboard asus z -a Case fractal design define r SSD revodrive HDD seagate tb nbsp

A:Windows 8.1 black screen with mouse cursor

Hi, Use the enclosed link and at that page, read the information about how to get this screen to come up on your computer....
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/open-advanced-startup-options-windows-8.htm

Then, first try Using Last Known Good Configuration

You may first have to take the computer out of safe mode by undoing the msconfig work- I think you know how but here is some reference information on UN-doing the safe mode boot

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termss/p/safe-mode.htm

Let us know if setting the Last Known Good works for you to boot normally.

Usually, a couple of restarts will get you going.... to Normal Mode

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-8-1-black-screen-with-mouse-cursor.1142974/
Relevancy 99.76%

after I just installed windows and rebooted after installed nbsp updates nbsp and drivers I get a black screen with the mouse cursor working but nothing happens nbsp I cant get past this after starting windows icon the black screen comes up with the mouse and nothing is responding I have tried everything F and system restore and CMD and boot repair and removing battery and safe mode does not work either Black with boot cursor after mouse screen and I tried to connect another monitor but the screen shows the same black screen with the mouse cursor at every boot I try I am not able to enter bios I press F but no bios and pressing F does not work either And pressing alt F only gives NOEXECUTE OPTION and some texts I cant boot from the windows disk either since I cant choose boot options There is nothing wrong with the hardware for sure I just have a black screen with the mouse cursor I have tried everything all sorts of command lines in CMD nothing gets me back to windows I have tried to get it to boot up to CD drive so I can reinstall but as I said cant go to bios or nbsp F or ALT f and I dont have backup just istalled windows and all was well windows update for drivers reboot then boom this happens and I been stuck for days now has to be an update that made this happen can anyone pease help me Black screen with mouse cursor after boot nbsp nbsp acer aspire V - series nbsp nbsp nbsp

A:Black screen with mouse cursor after boot

Hello johnquinn,

You should read this topic (Chigers): black screen - flash bios V5-571
You have the same setup bios utility (V5-531 or V5-571): Phoenix SecureCore Tiano BIOS

To summarize:
1- Download the bios file on the acer support website
2- If it's necessary (Windows version), extract the self-extratible file (*.exe) contained in the zip
    file with 7-zip
3- Format an USB flash drive to FAT or FAT32
4- Copy all files on this one (contained in the Dos or Windows(#2) folder)
5- Follow the instructions of Chigers to recorver the bios

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-7/Black-screen-with-mouse-cursor-after-boot/td-p/334412/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 99.76%

Any ideas as I simply cannot do or see anything. thanks, allan 

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:B50-30 black screen, no mouse, keyboard or cursor ...

turn on and press above the f keys and see if you get any picture sometimes it can be a loose connection (around the hinges)

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-A-B-C-N-S-Flex-Horizon/B50-30-black-screen-no-mouse-keyboard-or-cursor-when-booting/td-p/3267824
Relevancy 99.76%

wHEN i BOOT UP i CAN SEE ALL THE OPERATION. WHEN i SHOULD GET A DESKTOP ALL i SEE IS THE CURSOR WHICH i CAN MOVE. tHE SCREEN IS bLACK. WHAT'S UP?

A:Black Screen At Boot But Have A Mouse Cursor

I think you can bring up the task manager (ctrl+alt+del).

The problem is that your explorer.exe is corrupted or does not get loaded. If you don't see explorer.exe in task manager, run it from File->new task->then type explorer.exe
But you have to make sure that explorer.exe loads every time. To do it,
copy the I386 folder from windows setup cd to you HDD.

while windows is booting, press F8 key and ADVANCED start up option will appear.
select SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT.

navigate to your windows directory.
then rename explorer.exe to explorer.bak or something.
Now go to the i386 directory.

use this command :

expand Explorer.ex_ x:\windows
// where 'x' is your drive letter where windows is installed.

now restart your PC and check the result.

But if you already see explorer.exe running. right click and 'end task' it. and then run the process afresh. This should be a temporary soln. After that do this,
From task manager,

click file then run and type MSCONFIG

On ther general tab

click Selecticve start up

uncheck the following: process system
process win
load startup items

then click on the services tab,

click on the HIDE all mircosoft services)located on the bottom. then uncheck all the boxes that remain.

restart your computer. everything should be ok, but 1 last step.

insert your xp disk and do a clean boot. clcik install , when it goes to install make sure it says UPDATE(recomended) or you will lose all your files. it should be there already . if it is do the update it will tkae about 1hour, and all your files will be there adn the problems fixed. You might have reinstall some of your programs. but all should be well.

even if your screen doesn't come up after loading explorer.exe again, you can perform the second soln. with a black screen.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-at-boot-but-have-a-mouse-cursor-262281.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I had a client who is triple booting 7, vista and xp. Installed each OS on separate HD. He boot on each OS by swapping HD using a HD drive bay.

Before this problem occur, he changed a keyboard and after that the PC restart and it will boot. I already tried repairing the windows 7 first using the startup repair. It was successful. But I noticed that all the HD was corrupted. Check disk runs on every HD. NTFS on each HD was corrupted. I tried to fixed each HD.

Now I am able to boot in windows 7, but I get only a black screen and only a mouse cursor. How to repair this problem w/o reformatting and reinstalling? And also I how to repair install windows 7?

Relevancy 99.76%

Hello,

I have just formatted my computer and having a several problems.

First problem is, I get a very slow download speed but a fast upload speed.
(I haven't downloaded my drivers yet but if it happens after driver installation, I'll post a new thread I guess)

The major problem that I have is the "black screen" after windows updates.

I had to restore my computer.

Now, I want to avoid the updates that cause black screen.

Can anyone tell me which one I should not install from my screenshots?

A:Which updates cause black screen with mouse cursor ?

Hi,

Are you installing all of those at the same time? I have seen suggestions to install the .NET ones separately from the others, although I'm unsure if that is the absolute fix for your issue. I think its worth a try.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/220821-updates-cause-black-screen-mouse-cursor.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi all,

I have a ibm think pad with windows xp on. It will boot upto the windows xp loading screen with the loading bar and then when it should move onto the log on screen it brings up a blank page with a small mouse cursor. When i boot it up in safe mode it comes up with a bigger mouse cursor. I have tried pressing control alt delete and buttons like space bar to see if they work but still nothing.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 99.76%

A few nights ago I came home to my Win bit desktop frozen in a busy state Windows was running but the cursor Screen Mouse Windows Black in with Cursor 7 was indicating busy and the computer was locked up After minutes of waiting for it to respond hitting Ctrl Alt Del or Ctrl Shift Del had no response I did a hard reboot held down power button until the computer restarted When the computer booted back up - I saw a quot Resuming Windows quot screen rather than quot Starting Windows quot Windows did load and while everything appeared to run fine Start menu would open and cursor was okay no Black Screen with Mouse Cursor in Windows 7 programs would open after clicking on them and task manager would not appear Fed up I did another hard reboot This time Windows did not boot The Windows logo appears gets very dim and after a while a xed Unmountable boot volume BSOD appears and the computer restarts The fun really begins when trying to launch Windows Setup any of the three safe modes or last known good configuration In the safe mode scenarios safe mode never loads gets hung up while loading drivers For last known good configuration I get the same BSOD The really interesting part is Windows Setup Windows setup loads you see the loading bar and then goes to a black screen After a while - minutes a cursor appears on the screen You can move the cursor around - but that s it Ctrl Alt Del has no effect I ve left the computer on for hours at this point - nothing else happens I have a separate Windows bit repair CD as well as a Windows bit ERD CD When forcing the computer to boot off the CDs the same exact scenario occurs Windows Setup loads then black screen Booted off an Ubuntu live CD - the harddrives I have three are all fine Data is okay SMART tests all pass If I could just get to a place where I could run something like chkdsk or some fixboot commands - I d probably be okay But anytime I try to boot run some Windows based software - everything goes to crap My next step which I will probably work on tonight tomorrow is to remove the harddrive that has Windows installed on it a GB hdd hook it up to another computer through a USB cable system that will make it look like an external harddrive and hopefully run chkdsk on it that way I m posting here to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas though It blows my mind that whatever is wrong with my Windows installation is somehow blocking a windows repair disc from loading

A:Black Screen with Mouse Cursor in Windows 7

First, I know next to nothing about computers. If there is a possibility you problem is virus or malware related, would you not be chancing spreading this to the alternate computer? Just a thought, and like I said... :-)
Good luck, I am having a similar problem (check my profile for topic source) you might see the suggestions someone listed there?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/409161/black-screen-with-mouse-cursor-in-windows-7/
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi,
I need to do a repair install on a Windows 7 x64 PC. Is there a way to do this with the DVD if you can't login to the PC?

It boots up, but just goes to an all black screen with a mouse cursor. I can move the mouse, but ctrl + alt + del doesn't do anything. There is nothing else on the screen other than the mouse cursor.

I have tried the startup repair, no help.

I tried system restore, says no restore points found.

A:boots up, but just goes to an all black screen with a mouse cursor

Quote:
It boots up, but just goes to an all black screen with a mouse cursor

Is that when you boot from the system or from the CD?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/153471-boots-up-but-just-goes-all-black-screen-mouse-cursor.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Greetings Before i get the old quot You should search quot thing that i would expect let me just tell you i have searched this forum i have searched the internet i have spent ALL morning trying to fix this problem And ontop of that ive had a REAL bad couple of days so please please i ask you throw me a bone and help me out Ive searched w/ cursor Black no searched, Mouse :S) (have still help Screen around but the problems similar to mine have slightly different Black Screen w/ Mouse cursor (have searched, still no help :S) symptoms and because there is a lot of stuff on the harddrive that i need to save i decided i would at least make a post about it incase any of the solutions for similar problems would just make it worse Whats happened is i was trying to rid my computer of some spyware and ended up using something called x-raypc It deleted Black Screen w/ Mouse cursor (have searched, still no help :S) the first thing it told me was malware Then boom my PC restarted It made me do a disk check i let it continue all the way then the screen went black and it rebooted again Ever since when i turn it on it goes past the bios part then before i get any windows loading or startup screen the screen goes black and i get a mouse cursor If i leave it for an hour or so suddenly up pops the login screen and i can login But it takes another mins - hours to load my user settings Then when i finnaly get in i cannot get into any folders or files and the taskbar is just a grey line a few pixels high The system is windows XP pro gig of ram dont really know the rest some form of asus motherboard and i think a gforce fx graphics card Not sure on the card though but its nvidia for sure I think my HDDs are Maxtor too I found in another post someone said they fixed a similar problem with something called PowerMax bootable iso Which ive downloaded but as i said before because my problem is slightly different i dont want to make it worse before getting some advice Im on my laptop now I would be so grateful for any help i need it fixed by tuesday as im back at college and need it for college work Cheers Diablo nbsp

A:Black Screen w/ Mouse cursor (have searched, still no help :S)

I don't think that Powermax disk will really help you because I think all that does is tell you if the drive is bad. Have you tried doing a system restore yet? Start the computer and press F8, choose Restore Windows to a previous working state and hopefully the Spyware didn't screw up you restore points.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-w-mouse-cursor-have-searched-still-no-help-s.58390/
Relevancy 99.76%

Ok guys I have to start cursor... screen on mouse Black HELP startup with this as there is no definitive answer Black screen on startup with mouse cursor... HELP to this problem Vista Business SP all updates done On startup after the usual scroll bar the black screen with a mouse cursor and it stays Black screen on startup with mouse cursor... HELP there for hours I have tried the following solutions Bring up task manager and manually run explorer ctrl alt del or any other combination will not respond Hit shift key to bring up sticky key dialog yes but there are no options except yes or not System restore tried or dates all the same Safe mode with command prompt to run msconfig still the black screen no safe mode no command prompt Faulty event log renamed the log directory no effect Permissions on Rpc for Networking done no effect Make sure the shell for the startup points to explorer exe changed in regedit cmd under repair no effect after a couple of reboots it was still pointing to cmd exe There are no new usb devices no new hardware this happened after a file open froze on the user of this pc I really need you ideas guys I always solved strange problems with the combined brains on this forum hope it will work this time also nbsp

A:Black screen on startup with mouse cursor... HELP

hi this is a possible http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-startup-with-mouse-cursor-help.859022/
Relevancy 99.76%

As per title - I decided to update my Win ultimate to SP which installed ok but I ended up with a black screen with working mouse cursor and a message box showing something like - quot configuring user settings quot This stayed like this for a long time and in the meantime I used CTRL ALT DEL to try to run Firefox to get on to the net Firefox failed to open which appeared to indicate something network related I finally shutdown via the taskmanager and booted to Safe mode - with networking SP1 with - mouse cursor black screen update After Trying to open a browser resulted in a painful wait which I After SP1 update - black screen with mouse cursor gave up on It After SP1 update - black screen with mouse cursor appeared that it couldn't download anything I then After SP1 update - black screen with mouse cursor did a system restore and got back to full working system My Windows has been extremely stable and I've no problems I did a virus check and loaded the update readiness tool but haven't tried SP again I decided to search around but really this kind of issue seems like it could be caused by a lot of things and I've no clear answer to what is my specific issue Given the problems with networking issues eg some people had suggested they unplugged the LAN cable as their Qnap nas was the problem - beats me but I have a Qnap maybe it is this I doubt it's graphics although originally I suspected it but I do have the latest drivers installed and now I'm back after system restore this is stable as ever I'm really searching for either the best quickest way to troubleshoot this problem or a way to update to SP bit by bit - if that's possible I might be able to find the module responsible then Any ideas would be appreciated Till then I'll stick with my non-SP stable system

A:After SP1 update - black screen with mouse cursor

Why would you install Windows 7 without SP-1?
Where did you get your copy of Windows 7 Ultimate?
With SP-1 installed you will still have over 200 more updates.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/391330-after-sp1-update-black-screen-mouse-cursor.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop w/ Windows XP Home Edition. After I turn on the PC I see and hear it POST, then the Windows XP splash screen, then it hangs at a black screen with mouse pointer cursor. The cursor moves with the mouse movement. It will stay like this and not progress.
This is what I have tried:
1. Tried another known good video card.
2. Re-seated RAM
3. CHKDSK /R
4 Booted off XP Home CD, Repair Install (Not R to Recovery Console)
After files were removed and files copied the PC rebooted, Windows XP splash, then the black screen again.
5. FIXBOOT
6. FIXMBR

I think my next step would be to slave the disk and copy all important data off of it. Then remove the partition, create a new partition, format and install XP fresh.

Unless there is another way to fix this? What would cause this?

Andy

A:Boot to black screen w/ mouse cursor

Hi, something to try ...

Boot into System Setup (F2). Locate the Maintenance option and CMOS Defaults to restore the computer's factory-installed default settings.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-to-black-screen-w-mouse-cursor-478246.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I start up my PC and after the Windows logo load I receive a black screen with the mouse cursor still visible. I have tried restarting my PC, still no luck. I restarted again but this time went onto safe mode (which works perfectly). I ran spyware and virus checks (Spybot and AVG Free Edt) and found a few spyware but no viruses, so I deleted the spyware then restarted Windows normally. Still doesn't work.

This first occured whilst I was playing Oblivion. The game just crashed unexpectadely, and the screen just went black with the cursor still visible. I then just shut down my computer by the power switch because I was unable to gain access to the desktop. after this I turned on my PC and receive a black screen with the mouse cursor still visible after the Windows loadup. (where it shows the Windows logo)

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

A:Black screen with visible mouse cursor

Uninstall your video drivers from Add/Remove programs in Safe Mode (assuming you have an add-on card) and then see if you can boot normally into Windows.

If you can, the vid drivers were at fault.

If not, then some other drivers are.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-with-visible-mouse-cursor.77234/