Windows Support Forum

After BSOD Event Viewer Logs Event ID 3012 and 3011 every time I boot

Q: After BSOD Event Viewer Logs Event ID 3012 and 3011 every time I boot

I was running DMark and got a BSOD code After that every Event and every time Logs BSOD After 3011 ID Event I boot Viewer 3012 time I boot Event Viewer logs Error Codes ID and Attached are screenshots of both I googled this and found two different threads where someone suggested to rebuild the performance counters After BSOD Event Viewer Logs Event ID 3012 and 3011 every time I boot Both responses were basically the same below is one Neither of the OP's came back and said if this worked for After BSOD Event Viewer Logs Event ID 3012 and 3011 every time I boot them Re LoadPerf Hi- I had the same problem with LoadPerf and here is what I found out All performance counter names and explain text are maintained in string tables managed by the performance counter subsystem Perflib The current contents of the performance counter string tables are corrupted and cannot be displayed To correct the problem rebuild the string tables User Action To rebuild the string tables on the computer that displayed the message at the command After BSOD Event Viewer Logs Event ID 3012 and 3011 every time I boot prompt type Lodctr r The contents of the string tables are automatically rebuilt I hope this helps Since this was from XP and the other response was for Vista I wanted to see if the guru's at SevenForums thought that this was okay before I did this Here are the screenshoots of my two errors

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: After BSOD Event Viewer Logs Event ID 3012 and 3011 every time I boot

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: After BSOD Event Viewer Logs Event ID 3012 and 3011 every time I boot

Rebuilding the string tables as outlined in my first post fixed the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/305115-after-bsod-event-viewer-logs-event-id-3012-3011-every-time-i-boot.html
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi, I have decided to buy a new computer(or the parts for one).
It will be the first time I assemble one so I would like a little
help from the people on here that has some experaince with computer hardware,
because I myself do not know very much about it.

I have done some research and this is what I came up with:
Motherboard : Asus Z97-A Intel Z97 4xDDR3 SLI CrossFireX Socket 1150 ATX
CPU : Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Socket 1150
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 DIMM PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4GB
GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750Ti OC 2GB D
PSU : CORSAIR PSU 550W VS550
Hard Drive : Western Digital WD20E, 2TB, SATA 6 Gb/s, 3.5", IntelliPower, 64MB

What I want to know is if all these parts will fit together and if it is a good
computer? I want a fast computer thats good at a bit of everything. What I will be using it for mostly is programming, games like bfbc2, downloading/watching movies/tv series and just browse the internet.

And I think I will be using mint as my os(still new to linux).

A:Assembling a computer for the first time

I think those are great choices.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/assembling-a-computer-for-the-first-time.217526/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hello I have a tower just recently bought all the parts from newegg and was building the tower for the last days I had everything put in as it should be and initially it stayed on but no image was portraying problems up boot Building computer on the monitor A friend explained I was using the wrong port to portray image as it should be through the video card I should be connecting it but after troubleshooting the problem Building computer boot up problems initially I removed RAM and put it back in but computer now turns on for a second then right off I hear and see the fans running the dvd drive spinning and the lights go on but then it shuts right off after another - seconds it turns on again and then after another second turns right back off in an endless cycle until I turn it off completely and unplug it Not sure what the next steps are or if I should return the moba for an exchange After reading a lot of forums I noticed that it could be the RAM was improperly placed so I tried many times to take it out and put it back in but same problem keeps occurring I hear no beeps and only hear a click from the power supply when it goes on I tried the psu tester on the power supply and it tells me it should be working fine Any one have any idea moba ASRock Z M Pro Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ram CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model CMZ GX M A C B power EVGA -G - -XR W Power Supply case Thermaltake Level Series Level GT VN W N Black Computer Case processor Intel Core i - K GHz LGA BX I K Desktop Processor video card EVGA GeForce GTX Ti G-P - -KR FTW w ACX Cooling Video Card Please someone help and thanks to all nbsp

A:Building computer boot up problems

Okay, I've had the same issue with a new build: Put it all together, switch on the power and basically nothing. Do the following tried and true diagnostic steps that can be tedious but costs nothing to do and can often zero in on your issue:

1. Uninstall everything from your motherboard and disconnect all peripherals from your power supply except psu to motherboard, cpu, and one stick of RAM. Now turn it on. If it boots up and stays booted then shut it down and then...

2. Add your second stick of memory -- nothing else. Repeat by booting up and if it stays booted up then...

3. Start adding one piece of hardware at a time and repeat as directed.

What are your findings?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-computer-boot-up-problems.215853/
Relevancy 21.5%

I want to start a youtube gaming channel but idk if I have the power to record games like minecraft and record at the same time do you think I have the power to do it?

My Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

AMD A10 5800K Quad Core Processor

16GB DDR3 1333 Mhz Ram

1TB SATA Hard Drive

Radeon HD 8370D Graphics

5.1 channel Sound Chipset

GigaByte Network Ethernet

Wireless N 150 Wifi

DVD-RW Burner Drive

All in One Card Reader

6 x USB2.0

400W Power Supply

Dimensions (WxDxH): 19" x 7.75" x 17"

Mouse:
E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse

Camera:
USB 2.0 Clip-on Webcam Camera HD 12 Megapixels with MIC for PC Laptop Win 7/8

Keyboard:
Logitech K360 920-003365 Wireless Keyboard - Ivory - Small

Headphones:
Sades 7.1 Surround Sound USB Headband Pro Gaming Headset For PC Laptop SA-903 PC Laptop SA-903

A:Is my PC good for gaming and recording for youtube at the same time?

Do you have any connectivity issues or slow load times? Also, what is the make and model of your power supply?

Otherwise you should be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-pc-good-for-gaming-and-recording-for-youtube-at-the-same-time.215431/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi all, my pc has been playing up for a while, it has gone through 3 CMOS batteries in the space of 5 months, but just now it has presented a new issue (could be related), with two sticks of RAM in, it posts and boots the os as normal... With 3 in, it will post and get through BIOS, but it starts loading OS and jumps back to BIOS again... Now with 4 sticks in, it wont even post... Are there any suggestions

My PC specs...
Penryn 1600SLI-110dB mobo
Intel quad core q6700
And (now only) 4gb ram

A:RAM preventing boot

Try one stick at a time

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-preventing-boot.214773/
Relevancy 15.48%

I have just added a new SSD drive does recognize 1720 Inspiron in modular boot bay not BIOS sequence HDD in the modular bay of my Inspiron The SSD drive in modular bay is accessible if I boot using my normal harddrive or USB DVD-ROM drive for OS installation which I managed to install on the SSD drive Once boot using my regular HDD I can see the drive is set to Disk in Windows Disk Management And my other HDDs Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence as Disk and Disk I can boot thru HDD or HDD by selecting them in boot sequence However the SSD drive is not available as part of the boot sequence in the BIOS setup or F boot sequence The BIOS though recognize that there is an SSD drive attached Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence in modular drive bay My Inspiron is using the latest A BIOS and I could not find a way to include the SSD as part of the boot sequence The boot sequence works when I put back the DVD-ROM drive which boots without any problem with any bootable CD DVD Is there any way I can make the modular bay SSD bootable other than of course putting the SSD in the HDD or HDD caddy which some thing I do not wish to do Please help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-1720-bios-does-not-recognize-modular-bay-hdd-in-boot-sequence.210955/
Relevancy 21.93%

Video Card EVGA GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2GB
CPU Intel Pentium G3258
Memory Team Elite Plus 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Motherboard ASRock H97M Anniversary
Power Supply Corsair CX430 430W PSU
HDD Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Case Corsair Carbide Series Spec-01 case

How much do you guys think I could get this built for and do you reckon it could play the elder scrolls online on the highest settings or the medium settings thanks.

Also I on a budget and probably won't pay over $500

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-time-building-a-pc.210893/
Relevancy 21.5%

My first time building! some things have not yet been picked, so I want your opinion on the things I have in mind, and the ones I can't decide over...

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Graphics card: Sapphire r9 280
RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 2x 4GB
power supply: Corsair CX750
Optical Drive: lg bh16ns40 multi blue

Do I seriously need an sdd drive?
also any cases that might suit my build or anything I might not need or DO need?
thanks- M

A:Good specs for gaming PC? First time

Did you already purchase the items above or is that what you have in mind for purchasing? What is your overall budget for your Gaming PC? What types of games are you going to be playing on this PC? The AMD FX-8350 is a good CPU, but if you want any kind of future proofing, I would suggest getting an Intel. If you let us know how much you can spend, we can help you build one that will be better for future games.
Also, no you do not need a SSD (Solid State Drive), but it will make boot times and load times faster. My suggestion with that, is purchase a smaller SSD (120GB maybe) for your operating system and also purchase a larger (1TB+) Hard Drive for everything else (applications, storage, etc).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/good-specs-for-gaming-pc-first-time.210626/
Relevancy 21.5%

I need the best and most compatible router for TWC?
I need the router to reach a very good distance (between 3 houses really close to each other). Or would it be better to get a booster?

A:Wi-fi router for Time Warner Cable

To share from house-to-house, you need a strong RF signal so look for MIMO Class routers with multiple antennas, three if you can find one. If the lot layout is like a triangle between the houses, one good router should work, otherwise when lined-up like a fence, you will need a repeater.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wi-fi-router-for-time-warner-cable.209487/
Relevancy 50.74%

In a strange turn of events, Nvidia elected to use Epic Games' media event (instead of its own last night) at the Game Developers Conference to reveal its newest flagship graphics card, the Titan X.

Read more

A:Nvidia crashes Epic Games' media event, announces Titan X graphics card

Soo... What are the chances of a 6GB "980Ti" variant? A bit like the 780Ti was to the Titan Black?
Because it would be better for games and a hell of a lot cheaper

If the rumor mill is to be believed, the price is going to be $1,349, Most people who buy this for gaming will have no use of the double precision floating point prowess of the card, and the few that would probably should have spent a couple hundred extra bucks to get a proper Quadro!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-crashes-epic-games-media-event-announces-titan-x-graphics-card.209423/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi there I ve recently bought a second hand laptop because it was cheap and seemed to only have a minor problem which I hope to be able to fix So far problem TK Easynote boot Bell Packard I ve not been able to so I thought I d ask here for Packard Bell Easynote TK boot problem some help Specs Packard Bell Easynote TK CPU AMD Phenom II X N GHz Videochip AMD Radeon HD M GB VRAM RAM GB DDR orginal OS Windows Home Premium So the problem is that if I try to boot it Packard Bell Easynote TK boot problem about times it starts up I can hear the fan and HDD starting and see the lights turn on Then after a couple of seconds before seeing anything on screen I hear the fan stopping while the lights remain on The times it boots up properly and everything works What I ve Packard Bell Easynote TK boot problem done so far remove battery and power adapter reinstall RAM both at once and one by one hold down power button for a minute and try again with the power adapter connected This doesn t appear to do anything much I haven t removed the CMOS battery yet because it s embedded in a peculiar way and I m not familiar with how to remove it yet Then during one of the few sessions where I was able to boot successfully I installed the newest BIOS-version from the Packard Bell site This also didn t do anything Then since I wanted to do it anyway I started with the installation of Arch Linux where so far I ve only wiped the entire HDD and repartitioned it then I was too busy and couldn t complete it This doesn t matter much as long as I can get into the BIOS properly I ll be fine I m a Linux newbie but have successfully installed Arch Linux on a very old laptop So what I wanted to ask do you know any way to make the startup work everytime Do you have any ideas what it might be My theories so far - It s probably a hardware related problem since it still occurred after BIOS-update and full HDD-wipe without OS - broken powerbutton connection somehow -- gt replace powerbutton - broken fan overheating -- gt shutdown - broken fan cable sometimes does connect correctly I m curious if you have any theories on how to save the laptop Kind regards Ilja nbsp

A:Packard Bell Easynote TK boot problem

The laptop may need its thermal pads or paste replaced. The motherboard may be detecting a false over-heating signal...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/packard-bell-easynote-tk-boot-problem.207489/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi all. I've got this issue with my graphic card (fresh and crispy by the way - 1 month old). Few days ago I was just browsing web when suddenly blue screen came out of nowhere on my Windows 8.1 desktop PC. Ever since then when computer boots screen is filled mozaic-like with green squares, after few seconds it's changing to vertical lines. Obviously Windows window manager won't open at all, and it greets me with black screen. After I deactivated graphic card, and switched cable to main boards VGA port computer runs ok.

I've seen some similar threads on techspot suggesting that due to escessive dust 'consuption' GPU can overheat and irreverisbly burn therefore. Is it possible that the same thing occured here?

A:Green squares on computer boot, Nvidia GTS 250

It's what I've seen on the screen when one of my graphics cards has died. As it's almost new changing it shouldn't be a problem. It's more likely to be a faulty graphics card than dust. Double check that it's seating properly in its port and that the video cable is OK.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/green-squares-on-computer-boot-nvidia-gts-250.208163/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi there! I was wondering if any of you tech heads can help? Been given my nephews laptop which had the vague description of it hasn't turned on in a couple months.

It's a zoostorm loaded with windows 7. I can get into the bios but after that it just sits with a black screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-failing-to-boot.208148/
Relevancy 16.34%

So I ve owned my P HM gaming laptop for around years now and for the most part I haven t had any issues However when I start my laptop it always defaults to booting off of the ethernet card even after switching my SSD to the position in the bios menu Normally this isn t that much of an issue as I can just cycle through the bios boot options using CTRL Laptop Boot issue ALT DEL The main issue that I am having now is that the last time I was using my laptop I used hibernate instead of the normal quot sleep quot or quot standby quot Now whenever I attempt to start my laptop up the message quot Resume from hibernate quot is on my screen which is normal except it tries to resume using the ethernet card If the laptop is in hibernate evidently I am not able to access the BIOS menu or cycle through my boot drives I have read that a way to fix this Laptop Boot issue might just be taking the battery out and letting any residual power that the motherboard might be running off of fade away over time I read that this normally only takes minutes or so I tried waiting minutes and it Laptop Boot issue didn t work so I just tried again but waited a few hours this time before putting the battery back in and attempting to start my laptop up The laptop is still attempting to boot from hibernate Does anyone know of any way to get to the BIOS menu from the hibernate screen Or does anyone know of anyway to fully shut off my laptop Laptop Boot issue to get rid of hibernate and just start up normally Any assistance would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Laptop Boot issue

it always defaults to booting off of the ethernet cardClick to expand...

This means that BIOS is not seeing any HD, marked Active and contains a bootable partition

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-boot-issue.207645/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have bought JBL Speaker FLIP Model FHP 2 on 14th July 2014 but it worked for only 2 to 2.5 months thereafter not working anymore.
I have taken to SPAR Artee Industrial on 29/09/14 but they are not providing free replacement not they are able to repairs as Charging PIN has spoiled. THe part is not available locally. The JBP Speaker are not working at all now.

Kindly suggest, for the Customer Care Complaints I am unable to find the Customer Care/ Replacement Customer Care / Service Center / Top Management Contact numbers for getting help for repairs / replacement.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/jbl-speaker-not-working-in-just-2-months-time-period.206690/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello everyone Been having some crazy stuff going on with this new PC that I just built I cannot get it to startup at first try I just get a black screen and the BIOS welcome try always doesn't first second/third at (but does try) up PC boot at doesn t show up and neither does the windows startup loading of course When I manually restart it Power Button long press it runs just fine I have read that thousands of things could be potentially causing this from Hard Drive to Power Supply to graphics card but my actual bet is on RAM voltages overclock causing it since I recently overclocked it via BIOS setting the default frequency at mhz which is what my RAM offers at maximum and the max that my Motherboard can read The actual voltage is set to auto via BIOS which stays at V so I m not sure if lowering or raising it will solve the problem XMP is disabled not sure if that s relevant My BIOS is up to date My graphics card is old I m planning to change it soon but I didn t have any problem in the past with it Hard drive is also old but runs just fine I m open for any suggestions Specs - Tacens Mars Gaming W power supply - AMD FX- Eight-Core - PC doesn't boot up at first try (but always does at second/third try) MSI Gaming Motherboard http thepcenthusiast com msi- PC doesn't boot up at first try (but always does at second/third try) -gaming-am -motherboa - XFX ATI Radeon HD GB DDR - G Skill Ripjaws X DDR PC - GB CL x modules of GB Dual channel in slots amp - Hard Drive SATA II WD EADS- M B TB - Win - bit Some screenshots CPU-Z confirms I m running at mhz MSI Command Center does not get accurate frequency readings Thanks in advance for all the help If I forgot to mention something please tell me nbsp

A:PC doesn't boot up at first try (but always does at second/third try)

Check and make sure the wire cables are connected properly and not loose. Also, can replace CMOS battery and see you may able to access your computer.

P.S. Also check that the hard drive connection is set to UEFI under BIOS connection settings. Windows 8/8.1 supports only secure booting.

Good luck though!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-doesnt-boot-up-at-first-try-but-always-does-at-second-third-try.205119/
Relevancy 21.5%

I am using Tenda wifi router. It has a problem, it is that it need configuration every time when I start my laptop or connecting with any mobile device. What is the problem with that?

A:Tenda wifi router need configuration every time

The Tenda wifi router's internal battery may be dead

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tenda-wifi-router-need-configuration-every-time.204507/
Relevancy 15.48%

when i start my computer, it goes to the gateway start page, and after a while (it's quite slow) it goes to the black page, and this is what it says:

Intel Boot Agent FE v4.1.10
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Intel Corporation

Intel Boot AGent PXE Base Code (BA 1210BC-GW1)
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Intel Corporation

PXE-E61 media test failure check cable
PXE-M0F exiting Intel Boot Agent

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media
in selected boot device.

it just stays on that screen until i do a CTRL ALT DEL, then it goes back to the Gareway screen and after about 30 seconds finally boots up and i get the Windows XP start up page, and it opens up my desktop and i can continue .

Can anyone tell me why this started happening and how to correct it?

A:Computer start up is bringing up boot agent message

How old is the computer, or the hard drive. It appears you have a failed or failing hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-start-up-is-bringing-up-boot-agent-message.150663/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi everyone, I have a problem.
I pinmodded an LGA771 Xeon to work with my LGA775 motherboard. I decided to do it the hard way and use aluminum foil and tape to pin mod it. I think it worked out fine but anyway, on to the problem.

When I cut off the LGA775 alignment pieces, I accidentally bent 2 pins out of shape a little. Initially, I didn't notice, so I put in the Xeon to try it out, didn't work.
Then I tried my old processor, also didn't work (worked fine previously).

So then I noticed the pins and bent them back into shape, AFAIK it is perfect and you can't even tell that anything happened.
Tried both CPUs, nothing, no beeps, no signal to the monitor.

Is it possible to damage my motherboard if I didn't do the pinmod correctly?
Is it possible that I damaged my processor or motherboard by trying to run it with those 2 pins out of place?

Help please

A:Bent motherboard pins, fixed but now will not boot

I am not really sure, but my guess is you did not do the pinmod correctly since both CPUs do not work. I hope someone else can provide some insight on this issue. Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bent-motherboard-pins-fixed-but-now-will-not-boot.198999/
Relevancy 15.48%

My partner's laptop HP 0700 Notebook will not boot up and just comes up with the above message. We found an HP troubleshooting site which said to reset the BIOS default settings by pressing the Escp key, F10 followed by F9 to reset. Then it said to press the F2 System Diagnostics keys which tested the hard disk and all the tests came out OK. When we tried to restart it, it came up with the same message and we have noticed that before it comes up with this message it says in the bottom left-hand corner "Prepare boot to OS" and then comes up with the message in the heading. We have not bootable disk as the laptop already had everything installed.

Coupled with this my partner's virus protection is coming up with "Threat detected" every minute on practically every site my partner visits on the Internet. You will appreciate that we cannot run any virus checks as we cannot get into the computer.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Compused

A:No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

Any luck with this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-bootable-device-insert-boot-disk-and-press-any-key.201065/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi been awhile since I last posted. In the house we have a desktop and 2 laptops on the go in the house.The desktop is wired internet while the laptops are run on wifi.This worked fine until my isp UPC upgraded my internet speed from 50mb to 120mb.. The desktop and one of the laptops still works fine but the acus laptop has web access for between 20 mins to 45mins before the wifi drops off and becomes limited access. The wifi needs to be renabled to regain access to the wifi which lasts another small while until it gets limited access again.

The laptop specs are:
Acus K53e
Windows 7 home premium 64bit
intel Centrino N100 wifi adapter
Ram 6gig

At the moment its running for 30 mins then wifi cuts off for a few seconds before starting up again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-gets-limited-access-after-period-of-time.201028/
Relevancy 16.34%

Model dx -ub gtx ti evga win Today my brother was granted a hand-me-down gpu from a good friend of mine and after attempting everything I know installing the card computer visuals boot on No nothing seems to work I get no visuals boot The card seems to power up the heatsink at least but the card still gives no visuals Installing the card was goofy as all hell For some reason when apparently fully seated the end of the card where the ports are refuse to line up properly There is about maybe a quarter of a No visuals on computer boot inch gap Seeing this makes me assume it is definitely not No visuals on computer boot seated correctly I re-seated about plus times it does not want to go in correctly or so it seems I am starting to think the gpu is far to big for this moba or the case is just poorly made On top of everything the computer does not detect the gpu in any form on device manager or any other program Installing the drivers won t work because it doesn t detect the gpu as well Could it be a faulty psu - idk Maybe the gpu just went because it was nold - idk All I know is this is a friggin pain maybe someone could help me out The gtx ti was working on the current day when it was in my friends computer And yes I have plenty of power wats it was the same power supply from said friend s computer nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-visuals-on-computer-boot.200851/
Relevancy 14.19%

I just got new SSD - Transcend 128GB. Installed Windows. When I cold boot my PC -- from a shut off state -- I get this message before Windows loads: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

However, if I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and reboot I come into Windows.

If I enter BIOS from cold boot, it does not detect my SSD. After rebooting it detects my SSD. Seems like the SSD is slow at firing up?

I have run chkdsk and memory test without any errors.

My motherboard is the MSI Z87-G55.

A:"Reboot and select proper boot device"

Just installed newest BIOS, it didn't help.

When I go into Board Explorer in BIOS it says SATA port 1 is empty. After reboot it says the same port is occupied by my SSD.

Update: Plugged in another hard drive (non-SSD). Same rules apply to it. On cold boot, none of the drives are detected. After reboot, both drives are detected. I used a non-SSD as system drive before this, worked perfectly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.200351/
Relevancy 16.34%

So I installed a second Hard drive this weekend. And I want to create a new partition on the new hard drive, which will hold my boot files. So I want a partition of my second hard drive to be my main boot device. (Like 20gb)

Then I?m going to combine my first hard drive, and the remaining space left into 1 partition.

My Local disk has my Boot, Page file, and Crash dump. I want to move this to my new partition. (Second HD)

I tried moving the entire windows file in my local disk to the second hard drive, half way through it wouldn?t allow me to move all of the files.

How do I do this without re-installing windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-boot-drives.200248/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hi all, a friend has a laptop running XP, the system clock resets everytime it's switched off for more than half an hour or so. I have tried three replacement CMOS batteries (and checked the voltage with a multimeter, 3V or thereabouts), no joy. I have cleaned the battery clip contacts & definitely inserted the batteries right way up, any polite suggestions please?

A:Laptop not keeping time, CMOS battery good

Have you check the bios to make sure the time is set correctly in the bios? If not windows will not keep the correct time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-not-keeping-time-cmos-battery-good.200032/
Relevancy 21.93%

So as a service tech I have had to troubleshoot many a bad power supply or motherboard but here is an error I have not encountered yet The tower time only first Machine the powers up I am troubleshooting is -bit HP compaq dx microtower I dont think it has vista on it any longer but it doesn t get that far When mouse keyboard VGA display and power are plugged in and I press the power button the fans spin up and the machine begins to Machine only powers up the first time power up but nothing comes on the monitor Monitor is on correct input setting and verified to work Also note that there are no addition display chips installed nor have there ever been any So I power it down to verify RAM is seated HDD plugged in all cables and buses are correct and they are but when I press the power button there is no response at all this time no matter what I try I even bypassed the button with another switch in case the relay was bad and no luck So I left work traveled out of town and a week later I come back and give it another try Here s what is strange like a de javu the machine does the same mysterious thing where it powers the first only and no luck the subsequent times It seems the power supply is ok at least enough to power it the first time and the motherboard LED is on Obviously something has gone bad but what could it be has anyone encountered a similar issue nbsp

A:Machine only powers up the first time

Three times actually.

One with a bad set of RAM modules.
The RAM modules were RMA'd. When I tried them in two completely different systems, they somehow locked up the system and removing the motherboard battery was the only way to get the system functioning again, even with the previous modules.

Two with a replacement motherboard.
The motherboard replacement would not boot with an i7-2600K. After calling the vendor they convinced me to try a lower level CPU so that I could flash the BIOS. Since all previous versions of the BIOS that I am currently running support the i7-2600K, I suspect it was a newer BIOS meant for Ivy Bridge support.

Three with a power supply failure.
The power supply failed in the middle of using the PC. During the process of rebooting, the PC would not do anything.

All three times the PC would try to boot but fail. On reboot attempt there would not be any signs of life. After disconnecting the battery and/or removing the power cord, the system would then try and attempt to boot once again. Long story short, it could be a number of things that could be wrong, don't rule any of them out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/machine-only-powers-up-the-first-time.199707/
Relevancy 52.03%

How serious is this? I'm running on a Dell laptop with a Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

It is saying that I should back up all of my important files because of possible hard drive failure.

PLEASE HELP? I don't know how to fix this because I don't know what it means.

A:Hard drive is reporting a Smart Event error message

It telling you your hard drive is on its way out. You can try running a check disk and see if that helps. But to be on the safe side you should back up your personal files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-is-reporting-a-smart-event-error-message.199432/
Relevancy 21.5%

My HDD sounds like it is reading for a good 3-5 minutes on startup. Programs run after a minute or so - albeit very slowly...

Does this mean its new HDD time as it is a good few years old, or do I have hidden files starting.

I have cleared out what I can find that I don't need at boot....

Any suggestions?

A:HDD reading for a long time on startup

How many autoupdate programs are running in your services AND
(for me) the Avast! A/V program induces this behavior.

I've reduced the autoupdates on my laptop, but love Avast! and have learned to just accept it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-reading-for-a-long-time-on-startup.199066/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hi,
I just got a new toshiba satellite C55-A5302 laptop and I immediately encountered a problem. The keyboard was not responding but I noticed that if I held down the key long enough then it owuld respond. I was wondering if this was a problem with the drives or if it was a factory defect or if there was any easy fix for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Keyboard Problem - Extremely Slow Response TIme

DON'T void the warranty, send it back to get it fixed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-problem-extremely-slow-response-time.198232/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hey guys I ve recently installed a new hard drive on my desktop PC It s a GB quot drive that I removed off of a new laptop I got The drive works great BUT ever since I installed it I get a really annoying drive, hard boot new get message Installed on message every time I boot my machine It s some sort of copyright disclaimer It says the brand of the HDD Hitachi and lists the copyright of the disk management system or something like that It says copyright jmicron com and then quot Hit enter to continue quot The message is displayed maybe for seconds and it disappears on its own so no need to press enter Pressing enter will get rid of it faster So yes Installed new hard drive, get message on boot it s not an error but it s annoying and it adds to Installed new hard drive, get message on boot my boot time I m assuming the exact brand and model of the HDD isn t relevant nor is it the message but if it is let me know and I ll post that information I m not near my PC at the moment Is there an option in the BIOS or msconfig I Installed new hard drive, get message on boot could change to get rid of this Intel Core i GHz GB DDR RAM Mhz GB Samsung SSD Main drive additional HDDs GB GB and GB ATI Radeon HD GB W Power Supply W nbsp

A:Installed new hard drive, get message on boot

A little help with this, please? I'm baffled, I'm no computer newbie and I've installed many-a hard drives before, but I had never gotten this message after installation. The exact model of the hard drive is:

Hitachi HTS547575A9E384

This is a picture of the message:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-new-hard-drive-get-message-on-boot.197890/
Relevancy 15.91%

I m running main HDD in RAID and all is ok there I check in BIOS the SSD is recognised - using the Control I command I can see the SSD is available and status is normal I boot to Windows and it disappears I m running a w PSU and wondering if it s a power issue but why is it not a power issue in DOS It s puzzling as I previously had it working before until I recently reinstalled Windows BTW I did edit my Regedit before this so I could change from IDE to RAID on my main HDD I changed iastorV Start THIS IS WINDOWS RAID HAVE IT ON SINCE MEANS ON pciide to SSD 7 dissappears Windows I when drive boot up THIS IS IDE HAVE IT ON SINCE MEANS OFF Before I did this it would get BSOD when starting Windows having only the BIOS changed to RAID on main HDD Should I have changed the pcide to and instead SSD drive dissappears when I boot up to Windows 7 left it at Anyone have any ideas nbsp

A:SSD drive dissappears when I boot up to Windows 7

This has been sorted - I removed the Kingston SSD and used an OCZ Agility 3 SSD which was instantly recognized. Apparently Sandforce, the controller the Kingston uses has a problem so that's what it was.

This topic can be closed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-drive-dissappears-when-i-boot-up-to-windows-7.197659/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have narrowed my selection for a NAS down to the Synology DS413 or DS412. Primary intended use is home storage, media server, Security IP camera server, and remote storage for my children in college. Anyone have experience with these units?

A:Time for a NAS decision

Remote access by your student(s) at school to your local NAS on your router will need the router to have portforwarding enabled to the NAS address and port.

Also suggest you create a directory per user and make them all private per user and then an additional PublicDocs directory and make that r/w for everyone. In this way you know exactly what data can be access by whom and what is basically "I don't care data" in the PublicDocs\

You should also plan for backups, even if you have a Raid-10 configuration.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/time-for-a-nas-decision.197006/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hey guys,
I recently bought a new ACER Aspire V5 netbook/laptop, and so far it's been working great, but with only one issue. The clock keeps losing time, roughly every other time it is switched off it keeps losing time. The laptop is used to keep appointments and stuff like that so the clock is in needing of being fixed SAP really. ormally, it is by a few hours, or sometime is goes back by a day or two. Its really, wierd.

Specs
- AMD A6-1450 CPU @1GHz
- 6GB DDR3 RAM
- 3 Cell Li-ion battery
- 500 GB Hard Drive
- 10 finger touch screen
- Windows 8 Pro, upggraded from Windows 8.

A:Losing Time

If its still under warranty, return it . Don't void any warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/losing-time.197215/
Relevancy 21.5%

Do you guys remember the first time to wipe your phone and what probems did you encounter When my first time to wipe my BB I thought I had performed a security wipe to it but I was terrified that phone? the first your Remember wiped time it won s switch on Cuz it was my first BB and I did not want to screw it up Then I tried to find ou why the device not powering on Actually before the wipe I already had some trouble with wi-fi scanning it either show the previous network it was connected or no network found so I decided to wipe it out After the wipe when I turned it on the display showed logo like shredding something and I waited and waited but it won Remember the first time wiped your phone? t turn on Then I tried to remove the MPJ battery which I bought for extending battery life for several minutes and then switched on again but the same logo appeared I felt hopeless and pissed so I decided to left my phone aside and Remember the first time wiped your phone? did my own thing Several hours later I picked up my BB and surprised it was able to turn on Then I googled the meaning of the logo and there was nothing wrong of my phone just not patient enough nbsp

A:Remember the first time wiped your phone?

I don't like the Blackberry without the keyboard, the best BB is 9930 and the keyboard is so good that I can not help to writing something all the time.

BB10 is a little expensive now and maybe I will buy a second hand one in the future.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remember-the-first-time-wiped-your-phone.196498/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi guys Recently invested in a Dell Ultrasharp quot monitor mostly with photo editing in mind and found that one of the main games I play StarCraft seems to suffer from microstutter since it doesn t fully support crossfire With this in mind I ve been eyeing up some of the latest single card solutions but from most charts and comparisons nothing looks like it s blowing my s out of the water performance wise Should I hold off for next HD5850 to Upgrade : ? Crossfire itch time generation of releases from Nvidia and AMD I can always disable crossfire for Starcraft and just live with lower frame rates at x for a while If I Upgrade itch time : HD5850 Crossfire to ? was to grab a card right now it would probably be Upgrade itch time : HD5850 Crossfire to ? a GTX or an System information doesn t seem to be an option from user picture anymore so here are the stats of the rest of the system CPU Intel i K Ghz Corsair H xAkasa Viper Motherboard Asus P P Pro B Revision Memory Gb Corsair Vengeance Graphics x MSI HD Twin Frozr II CrossfireX Audio Realtek ALC -Channel High Definition Audio Storage Crucial C GB SSD Seagate Barracude TB rpm Case Corsair Graphite T Midi Tower Any advice nbsp

A:Upgrade itch time : HD5850 Crossfire to ?

Might pay to see what AMD's big announcement is on the 25th September. Best case scenario is AMD bite the bullet and opt for a big die to put some pressure on the GTX 780/ Titan, although I'm picking that what they end up with might split the difference between the 7970GE and the GTX 780 performance wise.
Either way, unless it is strictly a PPS presentation, AMD should be announcing some kind of timetable. If that launch is close at hand you could see a nice realignment pricewise if the products look compelling and present sales start to stall out, with the added bonus that AMD would again drop prices to clear inventory.

If you're set on getting a card before then, I'd check the pricing on GTX 670's as well as 760's. You'll get a little more performance with the 670 especially if its an overclocked card (basically a GTX 680 once you hit that cards clock). If not, then the 7950 is, likewise, a solid option in the 180-200 range.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-itch-time-hd5850-crossfire-to.195246/
Relevancy 15.48%

Got aspire 7520 series notebook, who wont boot but on boot flashes caps lock 2 times need to find what problem indicates two blinks

A:Aspire 7520 wont boot need help finding info

Remove the battery and connect the AC adapter only... does it then boot?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/aspire-7520-wont-boot-need-help-finding-info.195750/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello guys I have been thinking about building a new gaming desktop for a while now but my old idea pad finally died so it is time to do this I guess I really just need a place to start as well as some advice on specific parts my time gaming Build First budget is about - dollars Processor I was thinking I or I though I could use advice Motherboard Im really not sure what to use But I do know I would like quite a few USB ports plenty of room for ram and room for improvements graphics card I First time gaming Build like the nvidia Geforce GTX series though which one im not sure I Do know that I will be using monitors so outputs is a must The games I plan to play are starcraft Skyrim Fallout battlefield and the like I dont really care to play everything on max all the time but I would like to be ABLE to go to max but be able to play normally First time gaming Build on high settings Power I really have no idea what kind of power source I would use so this is one place I need a lot of advice other This is the area where I feel im just going to forget something like what kind of heat sink should I buy to put in the processor Things like that would be very helpful In the end anything you guys can help me with is greatly appreciated Thanks in advance guys Also just saying im not locked into the Nvidia graphics card as I have heard great things about other cards as well nbsp

A:First time gaming Build

Something like this is a good base. You can get a slightly lower motherboard, leave out the sound card, and put more money into GPU and PSU. Other people can help with that.

Do you need to purchase a Windows license, monitors, kb/mouse?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-time-gaming-build.195799/
Relevancy 28.81%

TLDR Graphics card and wlan card randomly stop working I ve Wlan time? working time from card and card to Graphics stop posted this on other forums Graphics card and Wlan card stop working from time to time? so far no help so heres my problem I use my computer on average - hours a day I usually play games or im surfing the net now sometimes Graphics card and Wlan card stop working from time to time? my wlan card and my graphics card just stop working they both dont appear in the device manager I cant plug in my monitor through Graphics card and Wlan card stop working from time to time? the graphics card coz the screen just stays black and the wireless internet icon on the bottom right of the windows screen just says quot no connections available quot Im not on this but it seems like this occurs after playing games for long periods of time im pretty sure the games I play arent too heavy for my system empire total war skyrim etc I took my pc to the repair shop before and everything was working fine when they tried it I dont think its a problem with the wlan or graphics card coz sometimes they work perfectly then suddenly they just stop working when this happens it usually gets fixed when I wait for a day open up the pc and clean everything then perform a system restore I have no idea whats wrong Is everything compatible could it be overheating could the motherboard be faulty Its very unlikely that both these parts just stop working at the same time Noteworth -Sometimes when the wlan card stops working the light on the card itself isnt lit up but sometimes it is -These problems dont always occur at the same time Specs Motherboard Asus M N T-M LE V Graphics Radeon HD Wlan card D-link DWA Processor AMD athlon II x PSU Cant see the brand I think its a stock PSU Max watts Thanks for the help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-and-wlan-card-stop-working-from-time-to-time.195964/
Relevancy 21.93%

I really want some help here cause I have absolutely no idea Specs AMD A - M APU with Radeon tm DH Graphics Quad core Ghz G DDR memory Gig HDD G full Graphics Radeon HD G over FPS down Game time slows Alright I ve never really run into this problem before I can download a game and play it for the first day wonderfully Game FPS slows down over time I start back up and the next day the FPS is cut in half One of these games is War Thunder and going from an average of FPS Game FPS slows down over time to is a little painful Starmade also had this problem I was running FPS for a few days then it dropped to around and stayed there These drops happened weeks apart This has happened with other games but none of their drops happened at the same time The worst part is that one a game drops it always runs that slow and never runs any better regardless of how many restarts settings changes or background programs I close This is odd because I ve never heard of a game-specific drop in performance I should probably mention that the laptop s only about a month old If anyone could help me with this that would be great Thank you nbsp

A:Game FPS slows down over time

First, we usually tell people that if this thing is still under warranty then contact seller and tell them of your issues. A10 chips are good chips.

Second, do you have a cooling pad? Heat can cause this issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/game-fps-slows-down-over-time.195014/
Relevancy 21.5%

So I got my graphics card, memory and cpu heatsink attached to my asus sabertooth z87 mobo and test with an external test. I get 1 long beep followed by 5 short beeps, although there is a small pause before the final (5th) beep. Now I only have the speaker in and do not have anything connected to a monitor. The manual says 1 continuous beep followed by 4 short ones is hardware failure but it doesn't say anything about a 5th beep that comes after a small pause. Could any of this have to do with the fact that I do not have a monitor plugged in anywhere? Other components:
GTX 770
Corsiar vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz
Hyper 212 EVO

A:First time external test with mobo

Okay so now I put it in a monitor and an error message came up saying cpu fan error and im in the bios screen now. anyone ever have this problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-time-external-test-with-mobo.194977/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hey there I own a Samsung laptop the model is NP E C I left my computer on the couch rushed off to work and came home to find it on the ground I figured it fell off the couch which is about a foot off the ground When I turned it on the fan was making a loud noise and it was clearly damaged or out of alignment Instead of spending money taking it in I decided to have a look and popped the back off I took the fan off and cleaned it and then put it back However the hard drive was connected to the back cover by a little plug which went into the motherboard so I took that off in order to screw the fan back in place I put the cover back on and tried to put the hard drive chord thingy into stuck menu at Computer boot the motherboard again but it seemed a bit loose I then turned the computer Computer stuck at boot menu on after screwing everything back and now it only goes to the boot menu and no matter what I do whether it be changing the settings back to default Computer stuck at boot menu or trying to keep that plug stable nothing will get me to Windows Did I take something apart that was not supposed to come off nbsp

A:Computer stuck at boot menu

Seriously? No one has any advice? lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-stuck-at-boot-menu.194260/
Relevancy 21.5%

So I was thinking and I decided that my current computer wasn t good enough for what specs, New time First Build builder games I was playing Then one of my friends gave me the idea to bulid my own gaming rig so here I am Here s my specs CPU i - k GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler Corsair H i CFM New Build specs, First time builder Liquid CPU Cooler Motherboard MSI Z -GD Gaming ATX LGA Motherboard RAM Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro GB x GB DDR - Memory Storage Intel New Build specs, First time builder Series GB mSATA Solid State Disk Some Guides I ve seen recommend getting a SSD for your operating system to be stored on and a hard drive for all your files games e t c so I m not quite sure whether to go for that idea or just SSD Video Card MSI GeForce GTX GB Video Card Case Inwin GRone Gray ATX Full Tower Case Power Supply Cooler Master V W PLUS Gold Certified ATX V EPS V Power Supply Optical Drive Lite-On IHAS - DVD CD Writer Thermal Compound Antec Formula Nano Diamond g Thermal Paste Operating System Windows Eight bit Cost Is this setup good Please don t post any upgrades because my budget was to so im already over If anything is overkill let me know Thanks for the help nbsp

A:New Build specs, First time builder

WOW, thats a nice build!

Although I gotta ask, what is it you do that would require the 4x8GB memory modules? Unless you are doing something spectacular, 2x8GB would probably be more than you need for a very long time.

Since you have chosen a mSATA SSD, I take it you have done your homework and know the motherboard supports mSATA. I had to double check to make sure you wasn't making a mistake. As for the 1 SSD option instead of 1SSD/1HDD, you can make that decision at a later date if you so choose.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-specs-first-time-builder.194225/
Relevancy 16.34%

So recently I wanted to boot was over Computer knocked won't and hook my computer up to Computer was knocked over and won't boot my TV and took my PC into my living room where I set it in a very precarious spot Stupidly Long story short my puppy got tangled in the cords and knocked it onto the carpeted floor from about - feet up I know this is a long shot because I can t give much info other than the computer will turn on like everything is fine for about seconds nothing comes on on the monitor and then it shuts off It makes most of its normal boot up sounds except an audible beep it usually makes that I assume is the hard drive kicking in I m not sure about that though although it seems like before it was broken I usually heard that beep about seconds after turning on the PC which is where it now seems to give up and shut down One of the times I ve attempted to turn it on after wiggling some parts around it actually stayed on But it never made that beep and nothing came on the monitor Nothing inside looks physically broken or damaged though I know that doesn t mean much when it comes to computers If anyone has any ideas what is broken please help Thanks nbsp

A:Computer was knocked over and won't boot

Hi, One thing that might have moved is one of the RAM board(s).
The RAM (memory ) boards plug in to edge connectors on the main board, so it's possible that one may have moved in the fall.
Don't know if you have a laptop or desktop tower type but for the laptop you could have a look at something on youtube such as;

The computer must be not powered up when doing this.
There are also many plugs and sockets that might have moved slightly, and if it's not that, it may well be the hard drive seek arm has been damaged, but I would try the easy 'fixes' first.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-was-knocked-over-and-wont-boot.194162/
Relevancy 21.93%

My cpu taking much time to turn on, when I switch on the power,it takng nearly 30-40 seconds to turn on cpu led lights and whole cpu itself!
can anyone help me in ths regards.

A:Cpu taking much time to turn on

What is the make and model of this "slow" computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-taking-much-time-to-turn-on.193003/
Relevancy 21.93%

Case - Lancool PC-K Case Power supply - XFX Pro W Core Edition V Cooling Fans - Cooler Master Hyper Plus Cooler Motherboard - Asus P H -MX Builder First Time Advice Need USB Socket VGA DVI Channel Audio mATX Processor CPU - Intel Core i P GHz Socket MB Ram - Crucial First Time Builder Need Advice Ballistix Sports GB x GB DDR MHz PC - U Video card - EVGA GeForce GTX SC GB GDDR Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda TB RPM ST DM Disk drive - Pioneer DVR- BK Hi I am a first time builder who lives in the UK and would like to build a gaming PC that is preferably with in the price range of to I would like to know if the products listed above are compatible and whether I should consider buying other products which are cheaper and better in terms of performance I would also like know if this is a decent build in running most game today in the highest quality as well as how long it will last before I need to buy newer better parts nbsp

A:First Time Builder Need Advice

Everything is compatible.

Nice case and CPU cooler, however the CPU cooler would not really be needed if you don't over-clock. The Boxed CPU comes with an OEM CPU cooler that is fine with non-over-clock conditions.
Are you planning on over-clocking? If so the motherboard and CPU are not really designed for over-clocking.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-time-builder-need-advice.193366/
Relevancy 21.93%

Ok so I m a first time builder here with a budget of I use my computer for web browsing with a million tabs so 1st time build, lost :P open I admit lol music recording editing normally about or so tracks only lite gaming minecraft with heavy skin packs and will be doing small video editing like boxes of video in one frame and watching movies both blue-ray and the occasional live stream I use Windows themes skins on my computer and have more rainmeter gadgets than I probably need I ve come across some good barebones kits for but they lack a few things which I may not even need lol I definitely need a wireless card no cable running to my room and obviously a blue-ray player I don t burn music or movies onto CDs if I need to I already have a burner I m looking for a minimum GB of RAM Do I really need an SSD My mind keeps saying quot YES quot but my wallet says quot nope not in the budget quot I do already have a TB drive for storage I would just like an SSD for the OS and programs But if that s not feasible I have no problem with a small HDD So what am I looking for that will meet the needs of my use and budget Mobo CPU GPU RAM PSU Case SSD-or-HDD Blue-Ray Player Wifi Card and after market cooler heatsink everyone always says stay away from OEM coolers go after market So if I m not all that crazy and this is feasible I appreciate any and all help and hope to learn a good bit in the process please feel free to teach so I actually learn something I m not loyal to any brand so I don t care about any of that at least not yet Thanks nbsp

A:1st time build, so lost :P

matrix86 said:

(everyone always says stay away from OEM coolers...go after market)Click to expand...

I would only make that recommendation based on whether the person will be overclocking. Neither Intel or AMD will package their CPU with a cooler that not sufficiently adequate under non-overclock conditions.

Have you assembled a parts list or are awaiting feedback first?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1st-time-build-so-lost-p.192750/
Relevancy 15.91%

When I boot my computer goes past the first screen, bios. Then it goes to a black screen with a blinking under score in the top left corner. I googled and saw all sorts of recommendations. The first one from windows 7 staff tells a customer to buy a new hard drive. But I decided to try the simple thing first, unplugging all my USB devices. And it worked. Through trial and error I found out it is the keyboard. It work fine if I plug it in after boot. I switched the usb slot the keyboard is plugged into and it still happens.

How do I solve this other then getting a new keyboard? Why does this happen? Could this possibly be the reason my computer is getting hotter then normal?

A:Keyboard causing computer to freeze on boot

Your keyboard or cord could be damaged and sending constant signals to the PC. Try with another keyboard to see if that's the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-causing-computer-to-freeze-on-boot.192465/
Relevancy 16.77%

I have an HP running Win 7 home premium / 64.
tried to recover and got a config problem and win will not now boot at all. Tried to Change Win to boot from CD. Won't do it even though I cahnged it it Start up. I am now somehow in Edit Boot option inside windows . Reads thus
Edit Windows boot option for : win Setup

Path: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

[/minit /redirect rdmageoffset=8192 rdimagelength=3161088 rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)
rdisk(0)partition(3)\recovery\windowsRE\winre.wim

I know I need to chnage something here but what?
Stuck in a circle. can't use cd now because it is in a boot circle. I get a config error and call your manufacture for help !!! ????

By the way Optical drive is fine. Had loaded in win 7 with recovery disk by the cd and when it came up this config problem manafested and that is how I got into this loop!

A:Won't boot at all

Any updates on this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wont-boot-at-all.192090/
Relevancy 16.77%

Solvest.

A:HDD vs USB vs SSD boot

If you have USB 3.0 and a fast thumb drive like Sandisk Extreme, Corsair Flash Voyager GT Speed, or Kingston Data Traveler HyperX, it will be faster than a HDD, about like a first generation SSD. USB 2.0 is going to be slower than the HDD, so in this case, an external HDD would be just as fast as and cheaper than a large 2.0 thumb drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-vs-usb-vs-ssd-boot.192555/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi guys So Can't default as boot set SSD to device seem a quick background here I went from using a normal HDD with windows bit os and unplugged it while I installed bit windows os on my new SSD samsung booted up no problem after setting the sata controller Can't seem to set SSD as default boot device to AHCI and shut down to put my hdd back in as a storage drive not Can't seem to set SSD as default boot device yet wanting to format the drive just incase I have any issues with my ssd I can still use the pc via the hdd Booted up fine however it was running in IDE So I used the regedit suggested by windows of setting the value data box to and it caused a bsod I then read that I had to do the regedit for both the ssd and hdd so I did which lead to no problems booting up and running AHCI just fine However the only way I can force my computer to boot using the ssd is to hit F for boot menu and select it it is not an option inside my BIOS and by default every time it will just boot from my hdd unless it s not plugged in in which case it ll boot the ssd When it boots from hdd as always if not using f menu it ll show the ssd as drive E effectively everything works ok but having to hit f every time I boot up or restart to select the boot device is going to get tedious Just to elaborate what I mean by it not being an option in the bios I have the Gigabyte H M-UD H motherboard and the only boot devices that are displayed in the bios are Floppy LS Hard Disk CDROM ZIP USB-FDD USB-ZIP USB-CDROM USB-HDD Legacy Lan With Hard Disk selected it ll behave as described above To clarify the only way I can appear to chose to boot from the ssd is via the boot menu F Is there any way I can properly set it so the ssd is the primary boot device Baring in mind I don t want to format the hdd at the moment nbsp

A:Can't seem to set SSD as default boot device

So you can only boot into the 32 bit version of Windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-seem-to-set-ssd-as-default-boot-device.192029/
Relevancy 21.93%

So I am trying to build my own computer case for gaming and home use and still want to use my micro-atx motherboard running with amd 64 athlon x2. Question is what is the best recommendation for a computer chassis, memory upgrade, and psu. Also, should I upgrade my processor to, lets say, a amd phenom II x3? Thanks for any replies

A:Any recommendations for a first time builder?

You should do anything until you tell us what you need (OS? Monitor?), your monitor size, games you're gonna play, budget, location.

Either way, not much point to pump money into your old system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-recommendations-for-a-first-time-builder.191648/
Relevancy 15.91%

Gents, built my own machine last year and installed a 60GB SSD strictly for Win 7 only (have two other HD's installed for storage and programmes)

Lately im getting alerts to say my SSD is now full and after doing what I could through the tools on Win 7 I was only able to free up 5 GB's What the hell is on here? Win updates? Everything I do is directed to my HD on the E: drive

Alternative is to buy another - can you transfer the root HD to another HD? really didnt plan for this, I know 60GB isnt that large but it was only ever to use as a boot drive.

Suggestions anyone?

A:60GB boot SSD full, but don't save anything to it

System restore points or pagefile maybe?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/60gb-boot-ssd-full-but-dont-save-anything-to-it.187889/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hey everyone,
So I have only bought regular computers and I was thinking about buying a gaming laptop, or possibly pc, but I dont know what I need. Some help would be very appreciated. Here is what I want the computer for, now dont laugh at me, or at least just chuckle to yourself while calling me a noob, or whatever the lingo is. But I wanted the computer for my Sims games. Hey, you guys have your minecraft or whatever, I have my Sims, leave me alone. So what kind of computer would I need. Cuz I will eventually upload all expansion packs and I am tired of my regular pc running slow. So please help, and if buying a regular laptop with some kind of memory can suffice than please let me know.
Thanks!

A:First time getting a gaming computer

Well, Sims games arent demanding at all. They use pretty ancient engines. You dont even need a GPU for that, you can easily get a PC with integrated graphics for about 500 USD. What is your budget? You want a laptop right? And is the Sims all you will be playing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-time-getting-a-gaming-computer.191631/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a Dell Studio 1737 Windows Vista Home 64 Service Pack 2. All of my drivers are up to date and I have the most recent BIOS.

I get this error message in my event viewer a couple of time an hour:

Source: ACPI
Event ID: 13

: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

Also, when my computer is unplugged from the AC and running on battery power the system lags a lot and after about 15 minutes its turns off without warning.

I feel like this is all connected. Any advice?

Thank you!

A:ACPI error Event ID 13

This could be caused by a failing hard drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acpi-error-event-id-13.190645/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hey all I m looking for advice and possibly tips and answers on whether or not my current build will work first $1k rig, time builder gaming I ve done some scouting through Newegg and looking at advice tips through the net on how to build a gaming rig and looking at pricings and $1k gaming rig, first time builder what to look for but I want to make sure it ll work most of all and whether or not this is a good buy for k spending limit It s currently $1k gaming rig, first time builder priced at around but with rebates and such I don t know if wishlist accounts for rebates and things like that it could be around altogether After reading the how to post new building threads I ve decided to add in this info I have no bought any items yet I live in Georgia US I m using this computer mainly for gaming I only have a laptop at the moment and most likely won t be using any parts from it for my new computer I m looking to keep this rig under dollars and do not have a monitor keyboard mouse or operating system yet But I m currently looking operating systems at the moment and monitors I doubt a keyboard and mouse will be that bad for cheapo s until I get more money And I don t know if I will need any after market cooling as I m pretty noob new to a lot of this stuff Sidenote I ve been told I could scrap my optical drive for a higher priced Graphics card but I heard the was a decent buy for it s price I ll see what you guys have to say but I would like to be able to watch dvd s and such and install some of the CD d PC games I already currently own Thanks My Wishlist Graphics Card http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Radeon G CPU http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Intel i - ivy bridge gz gz turbo boosted MoBo http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E ASRock Z Storage http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Corsair GB SATA III SSD http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Western Digital GB Power Supply http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Corsair TX series Computer Case http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Rosewell Challenger-U Memory http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E G SKILL Sniper Series GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Optical Drive http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E LG Black Blu-Ray TOTAL PRICE I would have posted my actual wishlist but I have no idea how to do it through Newegg nbsp

A:$1k gaming rig, first time builder

Scrapping the optical drive for a better GPU is an option. However, what you already have looks solid. I don't see a Monitor,Keyboard/Mouse or OS included in this. Are they on a separate budget?

If you were to scrap the Optical drive, you could move up to something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1k-gaming-rig-first-time-builder.190732/
Relevancy 15.91%

Good morning Techos!

I was wondering if you guys could lend some help at me regarding the HP g61 laptop.

1. When the pc boots, there are hang ups I experience:
a. At start, I just see a black screen with a small underscore character in the top-left,
b. Starts, sees Hp logo, then boots, and hangs up at windows 7 logo with "Starting Windows" caption.
c. Tests, Start-up tests, run-test, hdd test and memory test in the hardware test but hangs in either of them two.
d. Boots up, sees "Windows Error Recovery Screen" page, and hangs (hangs at 30 sec countdown)

2. I am suspecting that the processor is somewhat damaged already, because I tested the HDD and RAM on my other laptop, it works just fine. Please advise if there are ideas that springs up on your mind. It will be a waste if it will not be resolved. Thank you Techos!!

A:HP G61 laptop doesn't boot properly

Is this a new laptop still under warranty or not?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-g61-laptop-doesnt-boot-properly.189666/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have an acer aspire 5315 and when I boot it up with the power adapter plugged in nothing happens. Then when I boot it up using only the battery power, it attempts to boot but this only lasts for a few seconds and shuts off again.any suggestions on what might be wrong?

A:Acer won't boot up

Remove the battery and try the AC only and see if it boots up?

Also what happen prior to this issue?
Did the laptop shutdown after a crash?

Check AC power that AC power cord and adapter can be replaced from online vendors cost is pretty cheap. I own two ACER/GATEWAY laptop and ACER Netbook both use the same AC adapter. To test your adapter you need what is called a multi- AC/DC tester it has positive and negative leads. If you don't want to get to technical you can replace the AC power adapter.

1. Rule out that the AC power adapter is defective?
2. Rule out that the Battery is defective or just plain dead?
3. If AC power only without battery installed won't start-up the laptop then you know AC power adapter is bad.
4. Check the pin connection using a flashlight to see if the pin inside the laptop is bent? If this is bent or damage then the laptop needs to be repaired. Normally this would be easy to fix most trained service tech would replace the module for the power adapter if such a part exist or they would replace the entire MOBO (motherboard).

Is the laptop running Windows 7 or 8?

Your model AC Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-19V-3-42a-1-77mm/dp/B001MQ694W if you need to replace it that battery is on this link too. Both are really not to expensive. You should always have a replacement battery and AC power adapter around just in case of problems like this one.

Also if it's not the AC adapter or battery then you're looking at a defective MOBO (motherboard) or defective HDD. This laptop would need to be troubleshooted though to make sure what's the issue could be. But with the above info you should be able to figure most of what the issue could be.

Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-wont-boot-up.189783/
Relevancy 21.93%

I just built a new PC and installed a Sapphire RADEON HD 6670 1gb DDR5...

I want to run two monitors (extended) using the DVI and HDMI ports. I just get a black screen on the second monitor??

A:How to use HDMI & DVI at the same time...

Which operating system are you using?
Do you have an option to extend desktop in Windows display properties?

If you are using Windows 7 try pressing "Windows Key + P" at the same time. This should bring up a projection menu with 4 options.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-use-hdmi-dvi-at-the-same-time.189833/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have a hp pavilion dv4 with 4gb ram and windows vista and it won't boot under battery power even though when I boot it up with ac power it says the battery is fully charged.

A:Battery power boot up problem

How old is the HP? If its been a few years since you bought it, you might try re calibrating the battery from the BIOS, most HP and Gateway computers have a utility inside the BIOS for calibrating the battery. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can find one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/battery-power-boot-up-problem.189626/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi I have installed a DVD player burner in my sons computer but when we try to boot up it comes up insert Diskette,I thought maybe it is the jumper on the DVD player moved it to all positions still no joy.If I take the DVD player out the computer boots up and starts fine.I tried changing the boot order as well still wont start up.I only know a small amount of knowledge of computers so any ideas to fix this problem.Regards Martin.

A:Computer doesn't boot with DVD player connected

Jumper and diskette? Is this an old computer w/ a disk drive? With disk drive and DVD player connected with a flat wide ribbon cable (IDE)?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-doesnt-boot-with-dvd-player-connected.189420/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have an old fujitsu stylistic LT C-500 pen tablet which gives 4 errors on boot up. The first is query support failed. It has to do with fujitsu display monitor application.The second is pen tablet failed to initialize and pen functionality is not available although I just installed a new driver and it works fine. The third error secure attention sequence error which says it is unable to create a tray icon for the secure attention sequence application. The fourth error is WMI Error: Error accessing class instance. It also has to do with fufitsu display monitor application. I have wxp installed and a .5 ghz processor with 128 mb ram. Eveything seems to work just fine except for that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-up-errors.189373/
Relevancy 15.91%

Laptop won't boot. Put in installation disc in CD drive. System won't boot to CD rom. I removed the HDD, put CD in drive, it boots to CD ROM. Reinsert HDD, plug in power, no boot to splash screen or allowing access to bios. Remove HDD, boots to CD ROM...
Thoughts?

I don't understand why it won't boot to CD with disc inserted. It should boot up to CD regardless since it is first in boot order.

Disregard specs below. It's Toshiba Satellite A665 Laptop.

A:Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop won't boot

Update: I had suspected the HDD was bad. The OS did finally boot. It cannot find a HDD. Can you say Newegg?

First and last Toshiba for me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-a665-laptop-wont-boot.188913/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hey all, been a while since I last built a system, and never done one with an SSD.

I'm assuming the SSD is basically my C drive where I will install the OS, plus any games I want to run quickly, then everything else on my D drive (just a regular HDD).

Sound about right?

A:First time setting up an SSD drive

Right. and don't forget to turn off some things like defragmentation, indexing and prefetch in windows. those are designed for hdd.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-time-setting-up-an-ssd-drive.188558/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hi we are working on a computer for a family member Windows has slowed down incredibly won't Toshiba recognized Satellite CD not different two S7802... boot, put drives... ROM in they had multiple viruses and spyware we tried to clean it off for them but decided it would be easier to just do a reinstall We have been googling going to various tech sites etc and cannot figure this out The CD drive was not recognized in Windows and wouldn t work we thought it was just part of their other computer problems Upon rebooting it won t boot from the CD ROM which is a Toshiba brand factory drive We already checked the boot order CD ROM is set first HDD second No network boot enabled So we thought the drive was bad We bought a new drive put it in same issue I find it hard to believe we got two bad drives one after the other Windows of course doesn t Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized recognize it either Both of the drives act like they can read they flash you hear them running but it doesn t show up and won t allow us to boot into anything not Windows not Linux nothing from the CD ROM It just will not boot from anything but the hard drive and no option to Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized boot from USB We are at a loss as to what to try next We tried looking for jumpers cables etc but it doesn t have them Any suggestions nbsp

A:Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized

Dose this laptop or computer have a recovery partition?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-s7802-put-in-two-different-cd-rom-drives-wont-boot-not-recognized.187772/
Relevancy 16.34%

I just built myself a new computer & W7 SSDs XP boot Dual using I have a Samsung GB SSD as a Windows HP boot drive - Sweet and fast I have a legacy Canoscan Lide scanner that has no driver support for W I installed VMware player and installed XP Dual boot using SSDs XP & W7 pro so I could use the scanner but have not been successful at getting it to work I have tried to connect to the scanner in VM and get the message that the scanner is being disconnected from the host but then fails to load the driver in the VM I m not opposed to tinkering with it in the VM some more I suppose I could create another VM and install Linux which would have scanner support My next thought was to use an old Intel V GB SSD as a second drive with XP pro for a dual boot system My question is whether the TRIM function in W will monitor the nd drive with XP Will the utilities from Intel or Samsung keep the V functioning smoothly Is it a worthwhile use of the V Any general thoughts discussion on this Thanks Monton nbsp

A:Dual boot using SSDs XP & W7

Upgrade (one option is Windows Anytime Upgrade) to Windows 7 Professional and then use XP Mode. XP Mode has better integration with the OS than other VM's. Another solution would be to simply replace the scanner. Either option would be less headache than dual booting in the long run.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of dual booting. I personally think you would be happier by replacing the scanner and not having to deal with Dual Booting or managing VM's.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-using-ssds-xp-w7.187434/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have an odd problem with a new GPU card where I get no video signal on power up but on boot problem video Strange as soon as Windows load the graphics driver the monitor turns on My system is self built and has been running fine until recently when I seemed to have a problem with the existing GPU hence the warranty replacement My system is Motherboard GA-X A-UD R Rev CPU Intel I- GHz GPU MSI GTX PE OC Memory GB Crucial DDR PSU Coolermaster RS- -SPHA-D W V A V A V A Now I ve already run through a swathe of tests and can confirm that all the components Strange video problem on boot are working Tried GTX in another system and it works fine tried an NVidia Quadro in the above system and it works fine - I see video from power up to Windows login screen I ve tried different DVI cables and this makes no difference - the cables I am using are good Next I have a KVM so I put both the GTX and the Quadro into the system and cabled their DVI O P to separate ports in the KVM This is where the fun starts NOTE there is no onboard video so I need some way to see the BIOS and boot screens hence this setup Some background on the motherboard It has a BIOS setting that defines what PCI slot will be used as the initial display port This can be set to PCI PCI-E slot and PCI-E slot As long as I put the Quadro in slot I can use the PCI and PCI-E slot BIOS settings and I will get video from power up but the GTX does not produce a signal until Windows loads its driver at which point the monitor turns on and I can login to Windows using the GTX as my display If I swap the cards around I don t get a video signal at any time and no matter how long I wait Windows does not appear to boot If I change the BIOS setting with the Quadro in slot to PCI-E slot then I do get video Finally if I remove the Quadro it is irrelevant what the BIOS setting is I get no video signal on power up until Windows boot loads the GTX driver and from that point I can work normally I ve googled extensively but haven t found anything close to this some similar and none of the solutions are relevant to my problem I have upgraded the vbios on the but have not been able to find the latest BIOS for the motherboard I ve tried using the Gigabyte BIO update tools but a the Bios tool doesn t list my motherboard b another tool lists my motherboard as revision but it is clearly marked on the board as revision c they list the BIOS version as FB but on the download site there is no FB revision for either revision or revision motherboards so reluctant to try flashing any of the later BIOS versions I m thinking of buying a cheap GPU just so I can get into BIOS or the Windows boot menu when I need to if I can t track down the problem so any suggestions would be gratefully received BTW I have cleared the CMOS and reset the BIOS multiple times but it makes no difference Many thanks George nbsp

A:Strange video problem on boot

Seems the problem may lie with the card. After exhausting and eliminating all causes I could think of, the last thing I thought of to try was to connect to my TV using the HDMI socket on the card. This provides a video signal from power on but using the DVI socket I don't get video until Windows has loaded the GTX 670 driver.

Any ideas why the DVI socket is fine when I use the NVidia Quadro but doesn't provide a video signal in standard VGA when I use the 670?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/strange-video-problem-on-boot.187290/
Relevancy 16.34%

I recently got this computer from a friend so I have no idea how long this has been going on. Probably why he got rid of it. I will plug in the power cord and try to boot with the battery in and nothing will happen. If I reach under the laptop and remove the battery and then try to boot up it comes on like normal. I can then put the battery back in but it makes no difference after that. The battery is completely dead. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with a bad battery or what. The computer is a Dell Latitude D630. If I knew that putting a good new battery in it would fix it I would without hesitation I just need to know if that is the problem or is it another glitch. If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate if they would pass it on. Thanks

A:Cannot boot laptop unless battery is out

The charging system has too little capacity to run+charge at the same time. simple solution: buy a new battery

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-boot-laptop-unless-battery-is-out.187220/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have a PC running Windows bit on an ASUS p e delux mobo My video card was a nice NVIDIA GeForce GT ASUS which died a week ago and had to be replaced I decided to go for an ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti after some rather vague technical advice Please note that the mobo has a pci-e slot and the card runs on pci-e The No video during signal boot sequence advice I received was that the card will run but on pci-e speed which was OK No video signal during boot sequence I installed the card and booted the PC My monitor came up with a quot NO SIGNAL quot indication After a considerable amount of time the monitor turned on and Windows booted normally with one exception the dvd drive No video signal during boot sequence had suddenly become quot invisible quot Note that the driver for this drive is loaded during the boot sequence Other indications like num lock on which I had set to off showed that something was changed in the boot sequence From then on I boot and teh same happens Windows runs nicely on the new video card everything is great but no boot sequence and no dvd drive Unfortunately I cannot see the boot sequence to try and fix this I cannot use the dvd drive to load anything I cannot see my way out of this Please help I have no idea how to fix this nbsp

A:No video signal during boot sequence

The video card may not be recognized/accessed until the computer boots up fully. Do you know if you have an Onboard video port on the motherboard?? If so, try connecting to that and booting the computer to see if it shows anything on first boot and then goes away as soon as it goes to boot windows..

Could check the BIOS settings for anything to do with how video is treated, if it is set to try and use both Onboard or an extra video card, try switching it to only an extra card. However, if the card dies and you're forced to use onboard you will have to reset the BIOS before you can use it again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-video-signal-during-boot-sequence.186759/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello Everyone errors event DNS client I m have a problem on my newer computer that I would like DNS client event errors to know if anyone could give me hand trying to figure out DNS client event errors Now this is not an error that is preventing the computer from working But I get an error in the Event viewer constantly Just makes me think that there is something wrong Error is as follows Log Name System Source Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client Date AM Event ID Task Category None Level Error Keywords User NETWORK SERVICE Computer Jay-PC Description There was an error while attempting to read the local hosts file Event Xml lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client quot Guid quot C E- EEA- A -A FE-A B DDB D quot gt lt EventID gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt Jay-PC lt Computer gt lt Security UserID quot S- - - quot gt lt System gt lt EventData gt lt Data Name quot ErrorCode quot gt lt Data gt lt Data Name quot Location quot gt lt Data gt lt Data Name quot Context quot gt lt Data gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt Like I said earlier If anyone can give me a hand with this I would greatly appreciate it Also Im sorry if I m posting this in the wrong Forum Topic Wasn t sure what sub topic I was supposed to put it under Thanks nbsp

A:DNS client event errors

Easiest approach is to delete the host file
\windows\system32\drivers\etc contains hosts

you need ADMIN privileges
First stop the client by getting a cmd prompt and enter net stop "dns client" (exactly as shown)
now cd to \windows\system32\drivers\etc

del hosts
then recreate it using echo "" >hosts
(that is two consecutive double-quotes without anything between)

now you should clear the event viewer log containing the error and follow up with
net start "dns client"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-client-event-errors.186735/
Relevancy 21.5%

On a Dell desktop w/ XP SP3, the printer (wired Lexmark 1200) will print a page from the browser while online. The printer will not function in Word or Notepad. Any suggestions?

A:Printer working part of the time

What are the setting differences between browser and Word? Page size, scaling etc. Try from Notepad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/printer-working-part-of-the-time.186716/
Relevancy 21.93%

So I just did some upgrades on my PC and now it s time for the video card I went from a Gigabyte mobo gb ram and an E to an ASrock Extreme mobo for a Upgrading my time PC, GPU new gb ram and a k I m not seeing much difference for what I use the computer for which is Upgrading my PC, time for a new GPU mainly some gaming and just browsing the internet I know the k was overkill and I wish I would have gone with the k and used the extra for something else My question is which card to get I play games like WOW Skyrim Assassins Creed Crysis and Mass Effect I don t game a ton and don t do any video editing other than maybe converting a movie to a different format or burning a DVD I d like to stay as cheap as possible so I m leaning towards the It s sometimes cheaper than the ti I m kinda stuck between these two models and can t really see a difference other than the stock OC Is there a big difference between different brands other than like warranty or cooling Is the ti that much better or would it just be overkill I m using an HIS currently if that helps Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text nbsp

A:Upgrading my PC, time for a new GPU

If you don't do much gaming and no video editing then the 7870 and 660ti are waaaaaay too overkill.
take a look at the HD7770 instead.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-my-pc-time-for-a-new-gpu.185803/
Relevancy 30.96%

Building a new pc Its been since since I did a brand new overhaul Things to consider -I have a tj and a mountainmods ascension case capable of holding quad rads on front lower panel -Yes I will liquid cool the monster -I have an Areca raid controller capable of running time! Long time PC coming... buildin' sata II drives -I have x GB vertex first generation ssds -I have quot asus led monitors two of them but I will be picking up a quot high res monitor soon -I have a black widow ultimate keyboard -Yes I play mmo s and no I m not saying which ones -I have a watt gold silverstone psu -I know what I currently have is Long time coming... PC buildin' time! good but I plan to piece the machine off and sell give away most of it at least the things that aren t listed above -I leave for the USAF in a month Budget is usd Any questions just ask Have at it Excited to see what contractions my fellow techies come up with nbsp

A:Long time coming... PC buildin' time!

You don't need anywhere near $4-5k to play MMOs even on a 2560x1600 screen. The most demanding games are FPSs and some RPGs. If you're doing a lot of CPU intensive work then go with an X79/3930K build but otherwise a 3570K will be fine, and you'll have a lot of your budget left over.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/long-time-coming-pc-buildin-time.186081/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hello everyone I m upgrading my CPU and motherboard and by extension RAM since it s DDR and I want some input on whether or not I should spend some cash and go with a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge system or a Phenom II or Bulldozer one Obviously the Phenom II system would work out cheaper and I like cheaper But I m wondering if that need a long suggestions some Upgrading please after time; very by not opting for the latest-and-greatest Intel chip would I be looking at an upgrade sooner rather than later down the road Any and all suggestions and or input are welcomed my location and current system specs are in my signature so please keep those in mind when suggesting anything I d prefer buying locally since most of the popular components are easily available via retail but I wouldn t mind ordering online if the price is right although with shipping rates the way they are I can t imagine that happening anytime soon nbsp

A:Upgrading after a very long time; need some suggestions please

Hi Rage.

Honestly speaking, I find that the choice of CPU, whether AMD or Intel, should not warrant that you look at an upgrade too soon. I have been using the Phenom II X3 720 for three years now and still it performs really well for most purposes.

Now benchmarks do reveal that the Intel (Ivy Bridge / Sandy Bridge) are far superior to their AMD (Bulldozer / Phenom II) counterparts. Consider the i5 3570k (the CPU you incidentally suggested for my new build). It costs around $229 which is 20% more as compared to AMD's flagship FX 8150. Although the AMD has 8 cores it is outperformed by the quad core Intel by around 40% (and above) in most benchmarks. In games, the 3570K stock outperforms an overclocked 8150 by approx. 30%.

The above, however, are just numbers. For most everyday tasks you should be fine with either CPU. If gaming at 1920x1080, your GPU will likely be the most limiting factor as neither CPU will cause any bottlenecks.

My opnion is that you finalise your budget. If you see that the Ivy Bridge can be comfortably accomodated go for it. Else I'm sure that the AMD will not disappoint.

One thing of note is that the Phenom IIs have generally benched better than the Bulldozers. That makes me sad as expectations from AMD were much higher.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-after-a-very-long-time-need-some-suggestions-please.184521/
Relevancy 14.19%

Hie

My hp laptop had its battery flat for 12 hours. After that the laptop can nolonger boot up or charge. Please help

A:HP laptop cannot boot up or charge battery after battery went flat for 12 hours

What is the model of your laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-laptop-cannot-boot-up-or-charge-battery-after-battery-went-flat-for-12-hours.186087/
Relevancy 15.91%

Good evening, I cant afford to take my laptop to a tech so I am posting here in hope of help. I have a Toshiba satellite l755, I turn my pc this mourning on and it showed me this messege. Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
For atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.
Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
What happend to my computer? Please help

A:Toshiba Satellite l755 trying to boot from network

In the BIOS, look in the boot options and take the "other devices" or "other" out of the boot sequence.
Make sure that HDD is listed as first boot option.
This should be enough,
BUT... I would also check to see if boot from LAN is enabled.
If it is, (unless you need it for some reason) disable it.

PXE is a protocol that will enable you to boot from a network drive or server.
When it says that it failed, it is because it could not find an OS on the network.

To enter bios, watch the screens when you power on.
It will tell you the right keys to press to enter your bios setup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-l755-trying-to-boot-from-network.185830/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hi

I recently installed a gigabyte B75M-D3H 1155 mobo, i5 cpu, my pc boots fine but there is no BIOS splash screen at all and it is worrying me. I can boot into win 7 fine, but when I turn the computer on it goes from blank screen very quick (1 second) cursor flash, then windows splash screen. Is something wrong? It has done this since the 1st time I booted it. Going into the Bios there is an option named "full screen logo show" but it makes not difference whether that is enabled or not. My monitor is on the whole time, not waking from sleep or anything like that.

A:New motherboard - BIOS splash screen is skipped during boot

The new MBoards are really fast going through the BIOS Post. I looked at thier site, and there is a utility that lets you access the BIOS through Windows. Install the app, then you can set a post delay.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4315&dl=1#utility
Really looks like a great board, lots of cool features.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-motherboard-bios-splash-screen-is-skipped-during-boot.184239/
Relevancy 21.5%

My computer (Compaq Presario 2500, win xp-sp3) experiences some serious speed problems.
It delays at boot time. It takes about 20 - 30 minutes to complete it. Lunching of applications is tedious, sometimes 5-10 minutes, and execution and switching between applications is really slow. Process Explorer indicates that IRQs and DPCs consume up to 90%of cpu time.
At arbitrary times it crushes just freezing or with a screen that says that it has to shutdown because of a serious problem.

Please help me to resolve these problems.
Thank you in advance.
Giannis

A:IRQs and DPCs consuming 90% of CPU time

Assuming you have scanned for malware, I would suggest a system file scan, using "sfc /scannow" &/or "chkdsk" from a command prompt, if no good a repair install of xp, if you can get hold of a disk. Otherwise, might be looking at hardware failure (could try reseating RAM too?)
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/irqs-and-dpcs-consuming-90-of-cpu-time.184611/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have a 7 y/o Dell inspiron 9300 which froze for the first time. I had to restart. At the initial Dell start up screen the screen went black with the cursor flashing top left. I have tried to reboot from the o/s cd but after loading set-up files it only offers me the option of overwriting and deleting the partition with all my files and applications. I cannot get to the recovery console. I get to the c:\windows comd prompt but after that it says the command I type is invalid. I have tried ctrl f11 and f8 as advised by some forums, but the screen stays black with flashing cursor. I've removed the battery and run it of a/c power, no good. The computer is old and I want to replace it but I need to get all my files off it before I do. Anyone any more ideas?

A:My Dell inspiron 9300 won't boot

Sounds like the hard drive has failed, but you may be able to recover files by installing a new drive. Remove the old hard drive and put it aside. Format and install Windows on the new drive. Buy an external USB enclosure and install the old drive into it. Attach the USB enclosure to the laptop and see if you can access the files

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-inspiron-9300-wont-boot.184505/
Relevancy 21.93%

This is my first gaming build and spent all day on this. Is it looking solid ? or are there bottlenecks ? somewhere I can do better within same price range ?. and Please reccomend me a graphics card.

What I got ready to buy:

Case -
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
PSU -
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
HDD -SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Mother Board - Intel BOXDH77KC LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM - Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model ...

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...

Graphics Card - Recommend ?

A:First time build is this looking ok?

Is there any reason why you are matching the K version CPU with H77 motherboard chipset?

From what I hear the H77 is not very overclock friendly which is what the CPU K version represents.

Edit:
I would consider the nVidia GTX 660 Ti or wait a few weeks for the GTX 660 to be released. If the GTX 660 is too high a price the GTX 650 should release about the same time as the GTX 660. I'm not strickly nVidia, it has been awhile since I looked at AMD's offerings.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-time-build-is-this-looking-ok.184523/
Relevancy 15.91%

I ve been troubleshooting this one all day If anyone can give me some insight it would be much appreciated Just built a new boot not Vista on or drive reading DVD in system ECS Black deluxe mobo i - GB ram took the other out to trobuleshoot thermaltake SP- M psup and a DVD drive not reading on boot or in Vista LG ODD MOBO link http www newegg com Product Prod Power Supply DVD drive not reading on boot or in Vista http www newegg com Product Prod SP- M I DVD drive not reading on boot or in Vista can t get the DVD Drive to read my windows boot disc I ve installed a Vista HDD from another machine which boots fine and runs everything except for the ODD The ODD does respond to eject commands from Vista I ve tried plugging it in to multiple SATA ports and switched the SATA cable with ones I know to be good from the HDD I ve also tried using the Vista install disk for kicks but no dice there either More than that I ve tried swapping the DVD Drive with a known good one and I get nothing out of it Any ideas Am I missing something with the way the SATA cables connections have to be configured nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-not-reading-on-boot-or-in-vista.184107/
Relevancy 21.93%

I m just dipping a toe into multi-monitor use and have some questions I using monitors time multiple First have a inch and a inch monitor at the moment have another and to use if need be later I have a ATI card I have both monitors plugged into the video card I ve noticed when I extend the desktop to both screens I have some quot flickering quot on the second inch monitor Almost like its trying to adjust itself to something automatically It only flickers when I scroll the mouse wheel up and down First time using multiple monitors a page or move a window around etc Seems to happen when one screen has a browser at full screen and something might be leaking over to the other screen not sure if I can explain it better than that When I create an eyefinity group even though the monitors are different I see no flickering at all all is well Just wondering if this is some setting on the smaller monitor I need to look into Its a Dell FPV ALSO I am assuming this videocard with two monitors on it may take a performance hit if I use it while gaming For example have the inch be the gamer monitor and have the inch showing the desktop with a browser window or teamspeak on it Also I m looking through my parts here and I have some older video cards I may look into adding one just for the second monitor on the desktop Thoughts nbsp

A:First time using multiple monitors

im no expert but it could be your refresh rate on the second monitor is different from the first so that could be it,

1.go to control panel under appearance and personalization click adjust screen resolution

2.click the monitor you want to change

3.click advanced setting and monitor tab and change the refresh rate

and your gaming fps should not go down through the multi display set up unless your doing something graphic/cpu demanding task

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-time-using-multiple-monitors.183934/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hey all!

So I built my Rig around a month ago, and since then I have saved up $400 AUD.
I've been doing quite a bit of gaming and video editing and come to the conclusion that it could use a bit more 'kick'.
So- what do you guys think?
I'd rather not spend all $400, so I've been looking at the HD7850, or 7870 if I should stretch my budget.

Here are my current specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6100 (3.3GHz-6core)
Cooler: CM TX3 EVO (push-pull config)
GPU: GTX 550ti
MoBo: ASRock 970 Extreme 4
HDD: 500GB seagate
Memory: 8GB (2x4GB-1333MHz) Patriot Gamer2
Monitor: 22" Viewsonic (1920x1080- not too happy about this. If I look closely, text is blurred over 2-3 pixels, and it does not look as clear as my 1366x768 laptop. Yes, I have turned on cleartype text and all that. it does not help)

Any input is appreciated!

A:Got some money... time for upgrades?

If you can wait a few more weeks the GTX 660 Ti is nearing release. That is unless you want to jump fence and go with AMD this time around. I think the release date is set for August 16th. Waiting would allow you to compare price/performance between nVidia and AMD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/got-some-money-time-for-upgrades.183877/
Relevancy 16.34%

Have a NB205 3 years old running Windows XP Sp3 . Unit will power up to thru the Toshiba page
(F2/F12) allows me to go to setup. It will not go beyond this point and I get black screen with blinking cursor. Boot options are HDD, FDD and LAN. I received no recovery disc with the unit.
This happens in either mode power or battery
Help
Chathamjoe

A:Toshiba NB205 won't boot

Those are symptoms of problems with the HD, most likely in the partition table. You will need to use the
restore CD you made when you first used the system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-nb205-wont-boot.183223/
Relevancy 21.93%

I dont know whats wrong these are my specs:

Gigabyte Z77
Asus Xonar 5.1
Seasonic Platinum 860 watt power supply
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 4 x 4Gb
Intel I5 3570k ivy bridge 3.4Ghz (3.8Ghz with turbo boost)
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2Gb vram
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hdd
Lite-on Bd Drive
Antec 1200

At first I forgot to plug in the 12v cpu power, but I fixed that. This morning I noticed I put the power buttons cable into the wrong spot because I was following the cases color coding instead of the motherboards. But now I have no idea whats wrong. I have one idea, the screws I used to screw the motherboard in are really long and they stick out of the motherboard. Could that be the problem? Can someone help me I REALLY want to use this pc. I have been waiting for 5 years.

A:Just built a new PC for the first time and it will not start up

Please tell us what the problem is. What is the computer doing or not doing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-built-a-new-pc-for-the-first-time-and-it-will-not-start-up.183108/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have a dell 8250 pc that won't boot up. When I turn the power on it tries to boot but says it cannot see the hard drive. This pc has windows xp. This an IDE unit. I purchased another dell 8250 that has windows xp also, but has bare bones programs. What I would like to know is, can I use my old hard drive in the newer pc and boot from that or do I have to use my old hard drive as a slave on the newer system ? Also would I be able to retrieve my emails from outlook. Any ideas ?

A:Dell 8250 won't boot up

I have a Dell 8250 although that doesn't make me an expert on that PC by any means. I think the first hard drive may have failed. Try putting it into the second Dell and see if it recognizes it. Keep in mind that rather than master and slave, Dell used cable select, at least they did at that time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-8250-wont-boot-up.183129/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hello I ve purchased a quot computer quot on TigerDirect com by ordering parts to place together Here is what I got ASUS P Z -V LX INTEL Z LGA MOTHERBOARD Intel Core i - K Ghz Unlocked LGA CPU Corsair High Perform Vengeance GB DDR Mhz x Seagate TB Serial ATA HD MB SATA- G Sony Optiarc X DVDRW SATA OEM Thermaltake W Modular Power Supply Bronze EVGA GeForce GTX Ti GB GDDR will boot computer Newly-built not PCIe Thermaltake V Black Edition Newly-built computer will not boot Mid Tower Case Corsair SP Performance Edition Newly-built computer will not boot mm Fan TwinPk I believe that everything should work together just fine I saw not conflicting components I ve building the computer placed everything as it should be And I can t get it to boot for more than seconds or less and it shuts down I have a few ideas of what it might be but I cannot test my theories until Monday due to lack of resources at my house at my school s computer clinic I have moderate computer knowledge and would like to see if anyone could help me figure out what my issue might be I m open for suggestions Thanks in advance A nbsp

A:Newly-built computer will not boot

Hi, a few questions.

Did you install the motherboard standoffs correctly? because if any exposed metal is touching the motherboard it could be shorting it out.
Have you tried troubleshooting individual components yet? I have a feeling it might be the PSU because even though it has more than enough wattage, I've heard some suspicious things about thermaltake power supplies being not very reliable. then again, I could be completely wrong, I'm just going off what I've read on review sites and forums.
You could try pressing the ASUS memok! button on the motherboard to eliminate the possibility of it being the RAM.
If I were you I'd try a different power supply.
good luck, if anything happens let me know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/newly-built-computer-will-not-boot.182928/
Relevancy 16.34%

A co-worker of mine has a Lenovo laptop running Windows 7. It hasn't been working for the past few days. It just refuses to boot up. It comes on, shows the "Starting Windows" screen, and then just sticks on a black screen and refuses to do anything. How could I make it work again? She says she hasn't installed or downloaded anything since it stopped working, so I'm clueless.

A:Why won't this laptop won't boot up?

Hi, Would be good to know how far into loading Windows 7 it gets, if at all.
You do see the BIOS notice at the top of the screen after power button pressed?
Then it changes to the black screen with Windows 4 colour flag?
Is the hard drive LED active? Do you get to the logon box?
Do you get any messages on screen? ( I'm thinking of 'O/S not found' ?).
The LED on the front edge is a good indicator of hard drive activity, plus you can normally hear drive noises,
any clues like that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-wont-this-laptop-wont-boot-up.182828/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi guys So I is bootup. Where my keyboard? time First built up my computer Where is my keyboard? First time bootup. for the first time with the following components Antec Sonata Elite Black mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Western Digital Caviar Black WD FAEX TB RPM SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Intel Core i - K Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost LGA W Quad-Core Corsair Vengeance Blue GB DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit OCZ ModXStream Pro W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i i i and AMD Phenom Sapphire AMD Radeon HD GB PCI-E Video Card L ASUS Intel Z ATX DDR LGA Motherboard P Z -V I put everything in place and turn on the power but nothing happens Nothing shows up on my Where is my keyboard? First time bootup. monitor in the beginning and there are no beeps Then I realize that my case doesn Where is my keyboard? First time bootup. t have internal speakers but no biggie I figure its going to be ok I check the connections on everything and reinstall everything to make sure all of the components are connected alright Then I reconnect the VGA plug into the one not on the motherboard but on the GPU All the fans are running and I can feel everything else running as well I restart The monitor now boots up and I see option to press enter and F Both of them are more or less for BIOS but it detects USB keyboard but it does detect the mouth I press the keys on my keyboard for the corresponding options but nothing happens Help Do I need to buy a USB keyboard nbsp

A:Where is my keyboard? First time bootup.

Perhaps. This sounds like you need to update the USB drivers. I just built a new system and most of my USB 3.0 were not working. I had to update to the latest offerings. You may need a BIOS upgrade as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/where-is-my-keyboard-first-time-bootup.182673/
Relevancy 21.5%

I recently noticed that any sound and/or video starts to stutter at random occasions. It could be when im watching a Youtube video or a video in Media Player Classic, and even when playing a game. Basically all games are unplayable, sound keeps stuttering/cutting and so does the game.

GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
i5 2500k
8GB RAM
P8H67

A:Sound/video stutters all the time

I just tried reinstalling Flash Player, my Codec packs. And it still has this issue, whole pc lags along with sound, mouse moves like laggy slow motion and sound does the same.

If its any help, just when these problems began my svchost became 280mb+ memory usage 24/7

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-video-stutters-all-the-time.182312/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi, I am building a computer for the first time. But i would like some tips. I have already chosen some parts:

Full Tower:
Cooler Master full tower. Model:RC-932-KKN5-GP Product code on Newegg: N82E16811119160

Cpu: Intel I7 Quad core Sandy Bridge Processor 95W. 3,4 Ghz (3.8 Ghz with Turbo Boost) Model:BX80623I72600 Product code on Newegg:N82E16819115071

I am planning on building a strong pc for high end gaming but i am not sure on what kiond of parts I should choose. First of all are these good parts and would you recommend any other full towers. Also I do not know much about gpu's and would you recommend any of those for me. Also what tools do i need for a pc once i build it other than a screwdriver and do you have any tips for building them? Thanks in advanced.

A:Making a computer for the first time, need some tips

Hi,

Knowing your budget and location (I presume US since you mentioned Newegg) would be excellent.

Some questions:

Do you want a silent-and-sleek build? or a more in-your-face gaming rig?
How much storage do you think you'll need? there's no point in adding a 3TB HDD if you'll never fill it.
Do you need a display to go with your new build? how about other accessories?
Will you also be using your PC on workstation tasks such as media encoding, 3D modelling, image editing?

Regarding your suggestions, the Cooler Master HAF 932 is a very good case, but a bit on the expensive side (depends on your budget).
Here are some alternatives:
- you might like this one.
- this one
- or this one
It all depends if you demand excellent cooling or quiet computing.

The i7 2600 is a powerful CPU, but expensive and not exactly the best one Intel has.
Depending on your budget, you might want a Sandy Bridge-E CPU (supports quad-channel RAM) which will offer the best performance you can get or a Sandy Bridge i5 2500K which offers the best bang for the buck atm.

We TechSpotters know quite a bit about GPUs and will help you choose the one that suits your needs. :grinthumb
But we really need to know your budget.

This is a very good and comprehensive up-to-date guide to assembling a modern PC.

PS: TechSpot's buying guide is an excellent read as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/making-a-computer-for-the-first-time-need-some-tips.175556/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hey everyone As you may see I m fairly new here having discovered this site not even a week ago when I started reading up lots and lots of articles and reviews on the current hardware available to build me a solid High-End system that would suit my needs So own system assembling time First my now that I have decided upon the following parts I d be thankful to know if may have missed something important or if there s anything that seems like an utter waste of money Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z CPU Intel i - k Graphics Gainward GTX Phantom GB First time assembling my own system If I d anywhere like to have an extra edge it d be the graphics card Additionally I chose the GB model because I do quite some photoshopping video editing and d modelling mapping plus I d like this card to be able to keep up with games for at least - years Memory G Skill DDR MHz x GB Storage OCZ Vertex GB I d like a good SSD to keep my OS and all my programs on GB because on my current PC even the GB partition can t hold all my Steam games and the heavy programs that I have also I intend to have a virtual machine running some time as well so there s no way a GB drive would be enough Storage Seagate Barracuda TB SATA rpm Case CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Power Unit Corsair TX V W Haven t really decided on the optical drive yet will probably go with the one from my current PC at first and get a good one later So if there s any tips or recommendations you could make I d be very thankful to hear them nbsp

A:First time assembling my own system

I think this will be an excellent system. What HSF will you be using? Hopefully not the retail one with the rest of the machine being so top-notch. It might also be worth going with a pair of 8GB DIMMs instead of 4x4. It should be fairly close in price but give you a better upgrade path in the future.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-time-assembling-my-own-system.182486/