Windows Support Forum

Black Screen of Death true black no keys work at all!!!HELP

Q: Black Screen of Death true black no keys work at all!!!HELP

i believe virus deleted a system 32 exe file it is a confident guess. I have a true black screen nothing at all comes up doesn't load anything no hot keys work. windows 7 hp laptop I need to know if I can get into bios if f keys don't work, cd repair disk don't work. what can I do power button and wifi button lights up on keyboard and fans are running but black screen no response. it is not a graphic card problem not a hardware problem at all. please help

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Black Screen of Death true black no keys work at all!!!HELP

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Black Screen of Death true black no keys work at all!!!HELP

Do you see the bios splash screen?
Did you ever enter BIOS before, so you know how to do it?
Do you see the win7 animated welcome screen (prior to logon)?
------
cd repair disc .... you mean this? System Repair Disc - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/329399-black-screen-death-true-black-no-keys-work-all-help.html
Relevancy 102.77%

Was wondering if I installed windows 7 on an external and booted from the external then took off all my pics and stuff from the C: drive and then reformat the C: drive again. Think this is possible. FYI the only way to get my original windows 7 disc to even load was to remove my internal HDD.

A:Windows 7 Black Screen of Death (work around)

Unfortunately, you cannot install Windows 7 to an external drive. Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot may be helpful to you, though. It gives steps to resolve boot issues, and if those fail, backup your files and data and then re-install Windows cleanly and with good steps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/240165-windows-7-black-screen-death-work-around.html
Relevancy 101.05%

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor or KSOD Black Screen Of Death on Windows (Black Vista Black Of Death) Screen screen or with cursor movable KSOD Vista Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista What happens The system powers on POST BIOS Start windows normally Windows splash screen - gt Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista Black screen lt - What I can do I CAN enter BIOS and have reset the default settings I CAN press F to give me advanced boot options but all options have the same result apart from quot Repair your computer quot I CAN load the quot Repair your computer quot option I CAN move the mouse around the screen I CAN press shift times to get a dialogue to appear but no control panel I CAN press the power button to shut down the system I CAN start up in safe Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista mode which is exactly the same but with lower resolution I CANNOT seem to do anything else However there are workarounds to accessing the hard drive I CAN use MSDaRT or the System Recovery Tool I CAN use the hard drive as an external USB hard drive on another machine What I've tried Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem System Restore - No restore points Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors SFC Scan - No problems Stand alone system sweeper - No problems Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall I also COULD do a partial or full quot Packard Bell Recovery quot which is essentially like reinstalling windows I DO NOT want to do this I'm sure this is just a simple software issue really and I would rather avoid a reinstall Can anyone recommend what steps I should try to resolve this Thanks

A:Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista

I think I saw this post aver at Toms but I also think you gave some additional info.
I think what may be going on it during the switch from the windows low res video driver to the driver used in normal mode.

Since you can get into safe mode try to go to device manager.
Start|right click computer|properties|device manager.
Look in the display adapter.
Is there a yellow exclamation mark there?
Or is it showing the video that you know should be there?
Please post the video that the machine uses and or the PB model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-movable-cursor-or-ksod-black-screen-of-death-vista-410636.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I just barely started having this problem when I booted up my computer yesterday morning No log but forms Black Mode all work! of death, Safe of screen in Black screen of death, but all forms of Safe Mode work! screen just a black desktop with missing items and the mouse's arrow cursor on top Now the interesting thing is I've looked this up but I can't pinpoint something similar as others' BSODs seem to vary I'm asking for help specifically because I don't want to do something treat it via a certain way unless I'm sure of what my problem is Most I've read have the BSOD but if you Ctrl Alt Delete you can enter tasks even surf Black screen of death, but all forms of Safe Mode work! the internet Mine doesn't do that I've tried task manager DOES pop up but as soon as I try to start a new task what ever I do be it browse folders or open Internet Explorer nothing is executed Aside from that thinking it might be virus related I tried to boot up in Safe Mode and Safe Mode DOES work to some extent I CAN use the internet I'm currently doing that the desktop while black has all the right icons just large in size Every window I open be it folder or internet related is also considerably larger than normal of course there's other things I can't do because it's in safe mode While in Safe Mode I scanned for any potential viruses ran CCleaner and everything appears to be virus free Here's a screen of my Safe Mode with Networking I'm more than glad I'm not suffering the same thing that others have been Safe Mode not working but it is kinda annoying I don't think I downloaded anything in particular I think the last thing was iTunes related new version or something Any ideas to what's wrong

A:Black screen of death, but all forms of Safe Mode work!

Have you scanned for viruses and spyware? Try a clean boot. How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/301424-black-screen-death-but-all-forms-safe-mode-work.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi My first time I had this Gaming or of Death Black Screen Death of Screen Black BlackSOD problem was while playing BF a few months ago one day all good next BlackSOD the only way out was a reboot as keyboard and mouse where non- responsive The only thing I had done was install an ATI beta driver I got rid of it and went for the normal one ATI driver Since then I have come to suspect the drivers for ATI now using non Beta tried ATI ones still got the BlackSOD amp Razer deathadder when I was using the Synapse version I'm now using the legacy DeathAdder driver v Eng instead Still getting BlackSOD But since I'm Black Screen of Death or Black Gaming Screen of Death here posting I would like know how to stop the BlackSOD as would half the planet At this time my PC has been Black Screen of Death or Black Gaming Screen of Death running for hours Black Screen of Death or Black Gaming Screen of Death will out any problems using the ATI but last week when I was using the ATI drivers it took attempts of trying to get the PC to stay ON As of the PC boots up with out any problems Until of course I run anything like a GAME Then I can be certain a BlackSOD will happen at some point like a few nights ago while playing BF for a few hours BlackSOD in the middle of a game The BF gamers nightmare I tried to do an Up-grade using my Win home that is keep all my stuff and let window re-install itself but the Windows Compatibility Report comes but BLANK only saying quot An error prevented a required compliance check from completing Cancel the installation and try upgrading again quot A clean install is something I don't want to do as yet but that seem to be the path unless there a FIX Things I have noticed Black screen lol Synapse after using their update button my mouse had a bar not a pointer Got rid of Synapse long beep followed by short one Only heard it once yep it's the graphics card but here I'm posting so it may not be this only happens sometimes when tying to re-install the ATI driver software NEVER when the PC starts amp then goes into a BlackSOD I get one beep saying ok then BlackSOD after I have logged in and start moving my mouse around and doing stuff OR BlackSOD within seconds before I get to log in Plugging in my Razer usb headphones only sometimes the PC beeps soon after BlackSOD USB confilcts maybe Update have move USB stuff around to different ports Strange Audio garble sometimes after the BSOD happens Using the sabertooth On board RealTek Have not installed the ATI HDMI audio Fixes so far After the BF BSOD a few months back I used a back up Paragon Software Backup and Recovery Free to re-install System was stable for a while but updating ATI dirvers and Razer brought the BlackSOD back The Paragon backup is oldish so saving the important data now using Genie Time line pro Now using Atiman Uninstaller to remove and then re-install ATI Before I followed net directions deleting all by hand Auslogics BoostSpeed to clean and do what it does Plus CC cleaner run SFC scannow only got to can't fix errors which I suspect is the reason for the Compatibility Report amp upgrade won't work stuff that's missing is jpegs from window screensaver I guess given what in the CBS log plus desktop ini post here Ps I don't suspect malware as i have all the goodies to keep me safe plus I don't go near weird sites unless Gaming and Nasa is weird Any help would be good cheers Update Have install Afterburner to controls fans and last night after two hours of planetside system had another BlackSOD inside the zip are files from system events logs from last night This is the first time that the system has recorded anything to events expect to say quot system was shutdown unexpectedly quot which is me doing a hard reboot So progress Have all the tools and have set the dump files ran Driver Verifier didn't get a BlueSOD dump file no idea why Here are the two Error codes generated by Driver Verifier copied form the BlueSOD x c x e xfffff af c x Driver Verifier set... Read more

A:Black Screen of Death or Black Gaming Screen of Death

First things first update your BIOS it is very old:

Code:
BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 1304 , 2/08/2011
Next uninstall the following it is likely doing more harm than good:

Code:
Start Menu\Programs\Wise Care 365
Start Menu\Programs\Wise Disk Cleaner Free
Start Menu\Programs\Wise Registry Cleaner Free
Start Menu\Programs\Wrye Bash
Next run some hardware tests the errors you are getting indicate possible hardware failure / defects:
Furmark will stress test your GPU
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

Quote:
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature" (BurnIn test in newer versions).
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
- Click "Quit" to exit

Also report the temperatures of your GPU at idle, and when it maxes out during the stress test
Next run prime95 this will stress test your ram/CPU:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Quote:
Prime95 Setup:
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight you may want to run the "Small FFTs" test instead.
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.

Again report your temperatures at idle and under load.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/288642-black-screen-death-black-gaming-screen-death.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi been tying to solve BlackSOD for awhile now can be very in frequent problem then at other times I will get a Death Screen Gaming of of Screen or Black Black Death lots of Blacksod all at once PC will fail most of the day for days on end Then Balcksod stops for while like right NOW Today PC booted no problems able to post Last night PC would not work at all for hours PC was going into a BlackSOD when staring Windows or Black Screen of Death or Black Gaming Screen of Death soon after Black Screen of Death or Black Gaming Screen of Death desktop appears Here are my specs All compents where bought in at PC Black Screen of Death or Black Gaming Screen of Death D I Y store PC D I Y then built the PC not me OS win bit Home premium purchased at PC D I Y install by PC D I Y on the or thereabouts reading off invoice AGE OF SYSTEM HARDWARE All components where new when built on the or thereabouts AGE of OS OS has not been re-installed since it was first installed but have re-installed from a backup approx ONCE to try and stop BlackSOD which started sometime in FEB March CPU Intel Hz GTs QPI M CACHE LGA GPU ATI using ATI version using older driver as driver Blacksod still happened Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth-X LGA DDR SATA UBS RAID RMGS- GBRM PSU PWCO-HX- Corsair HX- ATX Modular PSU mmFAn Plus sliver CASE Antec Two Black ATX Tower Case lots of fans System manufacturer Exact mode number

A:Black Screen of Death or Black Gaming Screen of Death

Hello,

How are the temps and voltage readings? If the PC is currently overclocked please reset back to defaults for testing purposes

Boot into the BIOS and post the temp and voltage readings. Usually Under Hardware Monitor,PC Health Status, or similar.

Once you have this info Install HWMonitor and take a screenshot of the program at idle and under load.

There could be a possible problem with the processor that could be caused by heat or voltage, or a bad CPU.

Download and install Prime95 (if you don't already have it installed) and perform the test
-Open Prime95 and choose Just stress testing
-Run each test (Small FFTs, In-place large FFTs, and Blend) for a few hours each to see if there are any errors produced or critical temps reached.

Code:
===============================================================================
Common Platform Error Record @ fffffa8008925038
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Id : 01ce475c64645785
Severity : Fatal (1)
Length : 928
Creator : Microsoft
Notify Type : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp : 5/2/2013 17:42:27 (UTC)
Flags : 0x00000002 PreviousError

Section 0 : Processor Generic
Descriptor @ fffffa80089250b8
Section @ fffffa8008925190
Offset : 344
Length : 192
Flags : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity : Fatal

Proc. Type : x86/x64
Instr. Set : x64
Error Type : Micro-Architectural Error
Flags : 0x00
CPU Version : 0x00000000000106a5
Processor ID : 0x0000000000000000

Section 1 : x86/x64 Processor Specific
Descriptor @ fffffa8008925100
Section @ fffffa8008925250
Offset : 536
Length : 128
Flags : 0x00000000

Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000
CPU Id : a5 06 01 00 00 08 10 00 - bd e3 98 00 ff fb eb bf
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Proc. Info 0 @ fffffa8008925250

Section 2 : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor @ fffffa8008925148
Section @ fffffa80089252d0
Offset : 664
Length : 264
Flags : 0x00000000

Error : Internal timer (Proc 0 Bank 5)
Address : 0x00003880068fac3b
Misc. : 0x0000000000007fff

Code:
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (8 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 7601.18113.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`0365f000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`038a2670
Debug session time: Thu May 2 13:42:27.610 2013 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:10.687
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Mini Kernel Dump does not contain unloaded driver list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa800... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/black-screen-of-death-or-black-gaming-screen-of-death-694542.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. So, these are my problems described in the title. I cannot change desktop from black, only can set a picture as a background.

When I am in pictures folder for example, I see blank or black thumbnails.
When I right click and go to personalize, I can see black themes instead of actual pictures.

I tried almost everything.
- reinstalling video driver
- clearing thumbnail from disk cleanup
- resetting dwm.exe
- going into safemode and then restaring into normal windows
- I tried fixing shell by using "fixshell"
- clearing & repairing registry errors
- ran an error checker
- ran a file checker

I have Microsoft Office 2010 - I heard that it could be the issue, but maybe I am not right, anyway...

I attached a print screen photo.

And, I am hopeless, any help please? Thanks

A:Windows 7 black screen, black or blank thumbnails, and black desktop themes

I noticed you're not running Aero. Click on last item, left side - "Troubleshoot problems with transparency...."

Office 2010 should not be a factor here. Public pics folder is empty - it should have sample pics in it.

Validate your OS installation - Genuine Microsoft Software

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-black-screen-black-or-blank-thumbnails-and-black-desktop-themes-553925.html
Relevancy 87.72%

In need of serious help To begin I am stupid and haven't backed up any of of Stuck blue after death screen screen death, of black on my files so for now a windows reinstall is out of the Stuck on black screen of death, after blue screen of death question unless it's completely necessary okay so the problem I was using my computer as normal Then while on Google Chrome it started getting slow and said quot not responding quot this happens all the time to everyone so I waited and then the dreaded Blue screen of death appeared Didn't get a look at what it said because it shut down almost immediately After that it loaded as normal Which is weird I think But got stuck after startup on the black screen of death All I have is a cursor Can't do ctrl alt del can't load any of the safe modes When I go on startup repair it says quot no restore points quot on system restore and quot could not detect a problem quot on system repair or whatever it's called There must be something to fix this I live in hope that the whole system doesn't need to be wiped clean because as I said I stupidly haven quot t backed up my files Can anyone help Please

A:Stuck on black screen of death, after blue screen of death

this sounds like it should be a BSOD thread, post a seperate thread in the BSOD section following the posting instructions for BSODs, make sure you include the dump files, if you don't know how to do that, it should tell you in the BSOD posting instructions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/368783-stuck-black-screen-death-after-blue-screen-death.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Ok so whenever I watch a video of Black Screen(Not Black Death) Screen on my harddrive avi format usually Black Screen(Not Black Screen of Death) or if I watch a video off youtube I will get a permanant black screen My computer keyboard will not respond and I will have to hard restart my computer My Graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GT My driver is currently that of the one found here http h www hp com ewfrf wc amp dlc en amp cc us amp lang en amp os amp product I tried the driver that the Nvidia website tells me to use http www nvidia com object win winvista bit whql html But that driver gave me previous problems found at http forums techguy org windows- -freeze-problems-after-installing-windows html post From what I have experienced This quot black screen quot will occur if I use any form of flash player if I use VLC media player or Windows Media player Oddly from the couple of movies that I have seen on DVD format where I insert a DVD into my drive the computer will not give me a black screen I also play video games and have no problems from them Any ideas as to what the problem is EDIT In addition my monitor is supposed to have a drive My monitor Acer p w Im running Windows -bit I was suggested that I should get a driver for it even though there is no available driver for it that is Windows -bit compatible http us acer com acer service do tx g c att amp ctx att k amp CRC Therefor should I still DL a driver and if so which one there are no -bit compatible ones nbsp

A:Black Screen(Not Black Screen of Death)

Overheating graphics card? Check its fan, if any, cooling fins, and air flow. Move other cards away if possible.

Corrupted codecs? Many "packs" contain substandard codecs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-not-black-screen-of-death.901995/
Relevancy 85.57%

every1 has heard of this Black screen of death.... and ive had it on my computer for a while and i want to fix it but i dont know how. ive tried everything. ive burned memtest into my usb and cd and booted from f10 on them and didnt seem to work..... i cant log in because the black screen appears before you can log in. ive tried f8 and going to last known good configurations, and i tried to repair your computer thingy on f8 and it all goes blank black and also going into safe mode does the same.

Please help =)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-of-death-678023.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Sorry about the title just saw alot of BSOD threads and I guess it was just my attempt at a bad pun Anyways jokes aside the problem is pretty serious I'll try to explain it to the best of my abilities although it's a pretty weird one It all started yesterday while I was watching some videos on my computer when I started to feel a little sleepy Deciding I was too sleepy to concentrate I decided to put BLACK of screen death!!! the computer in sleep-mode so I could BLACK screen of death!!! pick up where I left off before going to sleep myself hours later I woke up and tried to turn it on by pressing BLACK screen of death!!! a key on my keyboard no response tried shaking and clicking my mouse no response checked the VGA and tried again no response power button no response So I gave up and hard reset the computer but when I tried to turn it on again now here is the weird part it would turn on put it wouldn't do anything The fans the lights cd-drive graphics card-fan all worked or were at least getting electricity yet no bios or loading screen or anything for that matter Long story short I've tried pretty much everything and I know that's a cliched statement-- but I've literally disassembled everything till it was just the Motherboard Graphics card and PSU And I've tried hooking it BLACK screen of death!!! up to a different monitor and I'm sure it's not the monitors since both work when hooked up to a different computer I've even tried reseting the BIOS manually no avail Looking through the net there aren't many other problems like it The closest I was able to find was this one Link Although even after reading it and trying everything The problem still persists I just hope it's nothing unrepairable When I was using it yesterday everything worked perfectly hell I even ran and played Crysis on med settings albeit without any lag fps drop So yea any help would be much appreciated Thank You

A:BLACK screen of death!!!

If you can't see the POST, it's probably a hardware problem.
Check the coolers (both CPU and video) to see if they are adequately powered, that their fans are working, and that there's nothing clogging the coolers.

The most likely component causing this type of problem is the video card - so try another video card. DON'T buy one unless you can return it for a full refund. We're just throwing parts at the problem until we can figure out what it is.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/177064-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hopefully I am in the right forum here Sorry if I am not I ran into a problem the other day I was playing everquest when i got the infamous blue screen of death When windows finished dumping the memory the computer rebooted itself went through all its bios stuff with out any errors showing that I can see When it came time for windows to load nothing came up I got the black screen of death with the cursor in the upper left corner which blinked a few times then it dropped down two lines where it sits and blinks for as long screen death black of as I let it When I went to open up the computer case the area on the top back of the case was extremely hot area of the power supply I open everything up the usual dust is settled on everything So I blow and vaccuum everything out reseat the ram video card and cpu Try it again and same thing black screen of death My keyboard is a logitech which is bluetooth and it won t allow me to get into bios so my next step there is to get a ps keyboard But until then I figured I would post here and see what you guys thought might be the culprit Hard drives spool up no unusual beeps from the mobo Thank you System MSI K A Platinum AM AM AMD FX ATX AMD Motherboard AMD Athlon X Windsor GHz x MB L Cache Socket AM W Dual-Core Processor CORSAIR XMS GB x MB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Dual Channel Kit black screen of death Desktop Memory MSI RX -T D E OC Radeon HD MB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card Western Digital Caviar SE WD AAJS GB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s Hard Drive x in standard non raid mode ZPower w power supply about yrs old SAMSUNG BW Black quot ms GTG DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP Support cd m DC Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP -bit English pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - OEM nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-of-death.724023/
Relevancy 85.57%

Everytime I turn on my computer, after the Windows 7 logo appears, there's nothing but a black screen. I can still move my cursor but I can't do anything. I tried the Prevx fix but it doen't help. What should I do ?

Thanks in advance.

A:Black screen of death!?

Hello,

Can you boot up in Safe Mode?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-of-death-574393.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I've had my dell studio 15 laptop for about four months now. The only problem I've been having with it is that the screen tends to go completely black when I run too many tabs and doing a bit too much at once. Sometimes the laptop makes a really loud buzzing noise. Sometimes it just goes black and I would have to restart the laptop. I am most definitely sure that the sound is coming from the internal parts of the laptop. There are also times where I watch a video on firefox and my screen freezes up for a few seconds and returns me back to normal but the video is green, the audio still working. Anyone know what my problem is?

A:Black Screen of Death

Welcome
Several things to check
I will give you a memory test
Download memtest86 and test RAM
www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...ing-memtest86/

In addition
Go to device manager and make sure all graphic and sound cards are up to date and have no yellow warning markers.

From a previous post on freezing
Blurry screen
Go to search type device manager and look for any yellow warning markers
Download and run malwarebytes, a full scan after you update
Run antivirus scan
Check memory with memtest86
Make sure that you are not over heating.
Try in safe mode; report back if it works properly.
Try a clean boot
Make sure PSU is working properly
If overclocking, restore to original
Test hard drive at company website.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...ing-memtest86/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
http://malwarebytes.org/
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

This seems like a lot, but go slow, ask questiions and you will be up and running.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/286249-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello everyone I have had for years laptop Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo PI running Windows Vista bit preinstalled and regulary updated with AVG antivirus Never had any problem until recently I got BSOD but before I was able to read it the screen dissynchronized and laptop freezed I forced to shut it down then switched it on again Windows gave me option to start it screen of death Black normaly and so Black screen of death I chose Everything worked fine for a couple of hours and it happened again This time before screen dissynchronized I caught a glimpse of following quot Windows shuts down to prevent loss of data A program tries to modify video driver quot I restarted laptop as before and used old rescue point It worked for a a few hours and then again - dissynchronized BSOD so I restarted it again by same procedure as before and went to Advanced Start Up section where I ran diagnostic When I hit Windows Memory diagnostic tool screen went black This time screen stayed black even after restart Could not even enter bios but according to HDD light and sound PC tried to start up I connected another screen to laptop and it was also very disynchronized and I was not able to see anything Forced laptop to shut it down disconnected battery RAM HDD and after a while reconnected and tried to run it Again black screen After at least tries of forced switched off and on with black screen Pc started screen worked and I was able to get into safe mode with networking I checked PC with other than AVG AV programs and antirootkit programs of different brand names Nothing was find except a couple of tracking cookies So I downloaded and installed a new video driver for ATI Mobility Radeon When I restarted laptop screen again went black and it took me again about tries of forced shut down to get it in the safe mode with networking Did not find any log of whats going on Ran chkdsk - was OK The problem never happend in safe mode So I reistalled win uploaded every possible update and for days worked fine Then I went to control panel system performance information and pressed a button for windows ratings and screen dissynchronized went black and automaticaly started normally This time however recorded logs There are underneath Does anyone please know where the problem is How to fix it Thanks PS A long before the problem occured I did not install any program nor hardware and i use laptop only for office purposes with occassional web browsing Code Product Windows Problem Shut down unexpectedly Date Status Not Reported Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Files that help describe the problem Mini - dmp sysdata xml Version txt Extra information about the problem BCCode ea BCP C D BCP BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Product Windows Problem Video hardware error Date Status Not Reported Description A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly Problem signature Problem Event Name LiveKernelEvent OS Version Locale ID Files that help describe the problem WD- - dmp sysdata xml Version txt Extra information about the problem BCCode BCP F C BCP BE C C BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Product Windows Problem Video hardware error Date Status Not Reported Description A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly Problem signature Problem Event Name LiveKernelEvent OS Version Locale ID Files that help describe the problem WD- - dmp sysdata xml Version txt Extra information about the problem BCCode BCP B BCP BE C BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product

A:Black screen of death

Welcome

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/293814-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I encountered this problem yesterday. Everytime I reboot my computer using the Start menu, nothing loads, and all I see is a blank, black screen and my cursor. Switching it off manually works fine though.

I recently deleted a few files to clear up disk space because I kept getting those annoying notifications, could this be the problem?

A:The BLACK screen of death?

Hi CheezNapkin and welcome to TSF

Apart of our troubleshooting process needs us to boot your computer into Safe Mode to test things. I would like you to start up your computer and when it gets past the BIOS Splash Screen (first load up screen) I would like you to keep tapping the F8 key.

When you get to the Advanced Boot Up Options page I would like you to use the arrow keys to navigate to Safe Mode. Hit enter on Safe Mode and choose the Operating System that has the issue. Log onto your computer as you would normally and post back whether the computer booted up correctly.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/the-black-screen-of-death-195671.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I am running Windows XP and was using IE Help! Death Black of Screen Need when this happened I was on-line searching for info on the tv series house I wanted to know what time it s on I clicked on the fox website and was able to watch full episodes of the ones I had missed Black Screen of Death Need Help! but I had to install their movie player first - which I did Towards the end of the Black Screen of Death Need Help! episode I noticed that the audio was a little off from the video and the video was slowing down stopping and starting again In my bar at the bottom of the screen I noticed that Mcafee was running it s updates which was odd because it s supposed to do this in the middle of the night not the day So I stopped the movie player and tried to expand the mcafee scanning icon It wouldn t do it So I tried to close IE and it wouldn t do it I pulled up task manager to terminate IE that way after I did this I noticed there were files running called quot dumprep exe quot and called quot mcupdump exe quot that had really high numbers by them - so I terminated them hoping that it would make mcafee stop I figured since mcafee was the only thing running and everything else was locked up it had to be those files that were causing the problems Well - the entire system locked and wouldn t unstick itself So I did a hard boot held in the off button until the computer shut itself down waited a few minutes and then started it back up again The computer comes up and sounds like it s running through everything to start itself - but my monitor is black and the power light is blinking like it s waiting for the signal from the computer Any ideas on what to do I don t even know how to begin troubleshooting if I m blind

A:Black Screen of Death Need Help!

It sounds like for some reason the monitor is stuck in power save mode. Try turning off the computer. Then turn the monitor off. Now unplug the monitor from power and wait 1 minute. Now plug monitor back in and power on. Then power on PC.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198800/black-screen-of-death-need-help/
Relevancy 85.57%

helllo everyone first post of this forum for me start this off YES i have researched on Google to no avail That is why screen BLACK death of i decided to BLACK screen of death make my own thread situation i start up my computer boots up fine it gets passed my mobo start up where im able to press delete to go to bios and gets all the way to where i am supposed to click on my icon to log into windows it doesn't automatically just log me into my desktop i have to click my icon im sure there is an option to change it i never did stupid i know besides the point i DONT see my icon it doesn't get to that point but its right before My screen is completely black no cursor no nothing So i am forced to manually shut down the computer and power it back up it'll bring up the options like start windows normally with last known working config start with safe mode all that NOW i am able to go into safe mode i found system recovery and i set it back to like a month before nothing still that dreaded black screen seconds into startup uggggh what else can i do i absolutely do not want to do a fresh install of windows please help

A:BLACK screen of death

Go in with safe mode,
If you can
and make a clean boot
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
If you work OK then, follow safe boot instructructions to resolve the problem.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/286799-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I just Screen Of Death Black recently encountered my first BSOD It's not just while Black Screen Of Death doing something in Windows it's on start up I have a Toshiba Satellite L laptop running Vista Home Premium bit While starting up after the Toshiba start up BIOS screen or whatever it's called the screen goes black and has a blinking cursor like so at the top left corner I've tried everything I put in my recovery disks which I got from Toshiba no go It loads up then goes back to a blank screen I've tried pressing F to go into Safe Mode a no go as well Pressing at start up nothing I've tried asking on numerous forums about what is wrong but I get nothing Hopefully one of you guys will have experienced this before or know what is going on and you will be able to help me My father is going to take the laptop in for inspection at Best Buy tomorrow so to save us some money please help us soon Thank you for your consideration

A:Black Screen Of Death

Difficult problem to solve, seems to have several causes. Heres one possible fix
0xc01a001d message as sp1 installed..(froze) no movement

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/292350-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

hello i recently installled windows bit pro it has been working fine till today when i unistalled some sound codecs so i restarted the pc but when it gets past the windows symbol it just goes black with the help please of black death screen mouse pointer i cant get into task manager either so no mater what i press on the keyboard nothing happens the keyboard is working thou ie press the cap locks on or of and the light goes on or off so i turned the pc off and restarted pressing f went to safe mode but it does the same thing loads the drivers then just goes to a black screen with the mouse pointer so then tried the repair but it came back with nothing wrong then tried system restore but when it is just starting to do it it comes up with rstrui exe application failed the instruction at xfbb d reference memory black screen of death help please at x the memory could not be read is there anything i can do or is it a clean install thanks in advance mark

A:black screen of death help please

I have the exact same thing going on right now. Did you ever find a resolution, short of a complete rebuild, to your BSOD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/48784-black-screen-death-help-please.html
Relevancy 85.57%

HI,and hope all is well with the members....i turned my laptop on and received this message... windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system..... I am trying not to loose my files, when doing this but if i have to, so be it... i also put the original cd in to reinstall, and repair, and both would not install...pleaseeeeeeee if there is anyone that can get my pc back up and running ...my family and myself would gratefully appreciate it..thank you and GOD BLESS YOU!!! *moderator edit: removed email address and offer to provide phone number. - Queen-Evie* 

I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.
Hold on...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481408/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

Ok I've been a PC Tech now for years run my own bussiness and this one is something I can't figure out I managed to finally get Vista installed after making an external hard drive into Screen Black of Death a vista install medium so it installed got through all the stuff took about oh minutes First login after setup is done bam Black Screen of death Ran memtestx for loops no errors ran seatools to test the hard drive no errors Hardware checks out its a Windows vista Masterdisk with both and bit Windows on it and has worked for 's of installs before it It's an Acer laptop Core Duo gb of ram client laptop Black Screen of Death and for the life of me this isnt making sense freash clean load of Vista hard drive wiped same issue we where having before the drive was wiped and i've looked it was definatly wiped this eludes me so any advice yall might have id really appreciate it I told my customer it would be done by monday morning and since I work from a home bussiness my word is my life line for more clients

Welcome
If the problem exists even after a reinstall it points to hardware.
You may want to use this list a as a guide, giving attention to the hardware causes
Roundup of Vista’s Black Screen of Death – Solutions | Burchwords

The last solution, even, in this write up is to reinstall and not many (if any hardware causes)
Did you test the memory? Although memory is not given as a direct cause, in many situations, replacing ram is. Your situation seems unique, however. Here is the memory test.
Download memtest86 and test RAM
www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html
Run for 8 passes
If passes try a good stick in each slot for 3 passes
If fails do the same for 8 passes.

Are you are correct describing it as a black screen, it is not a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)?

I think that you actually had a BSOD, hardware related. I will give you our best write up for a BSOD and hardware.

BSOD or as you describe it black screen here is the method that you should use
http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...-what-try.html

I know that on some systems the BSOD is a black screen and some may call it that. Most here, use the term BSOD, want to be sure of what happened.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/287505-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

My wife was surfing on Mozilla Firefox The program indicated the page was still loading however it appeared to be completely loaded and even allowed her to input password information She had multiple pages open and clicked on another tab to view a different page At this point the page load indicator stopped She then went to her email This is when the computer screen went black with nothing Black Please! Screen Death? Of Help but a blinking cursor in the upper left corner When trying to reboot the computer we get a e-machines logo then a very quick flash the bios screen then right Black Screen Of Death? Help Please! to the black screen with the cursor flashing in the upper left corner The best way for me to describe it is to show a video of the problem At one point this image flashes on the screen She's running this on her computer e-machines g- w Windows Home Premium OEM bit AMD Athlon II X e Dual Core Processor DVD Super Multi Drive GB HDD GB DDR memory It's on auto update so it's got the latest version of Windows as of - - We upgraded her graphics card about a year ago so it's not the one shown on the case Any help will be appreciated Thanks

A:Black Screen Of Death? Help Please!

Seems that your Hard Disk just died, verify if the BIOS can still detect it. If not you'll have to get a new one
Try reconnecting the HDD cables.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/195748-black-screen-death-help-please.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi I've been fighting over weeks now with this problem and after hours and hours Screen of Death Black of struggle I decided to look for a help I will be detail as possible and hope there is someone Black Screen of Death who can help me through this to fix the problem I Black Screen of Death have First here are my specs Intel i M GHz GB RAM Windows Ultimate bit GeForce GT M x My problem is rather deadly and I have no idea where it's coming form I'm getting a random black screen of death where the screen goes black and the computer completely freezes I know the computer has frozen because my friends on messengers like MSN or on Steam client Black Screen of Death displays me as offline It's not frequent but it seems it appears randomly WHILE I'm using Photoshop CS or RIGHT AFTER my video player KMPlayer plays a video file The video shows for a second and my computer goes into the black screen of death Since it's quite random and it doesn't happen for the most of the time so I cannot reproduce them to try new things such as playing a song to see if it stops immediately However I realized a similar issue occurs when I try to play a few PC games I own about Steam games and I've tried about games and here are the few games that suffers from the similar issue Audiosurf - ONLY HAPPENS on pro modes When the level loads and the camera view moves to the player there is a shutdown blink and the computer stops No sound Worms Reloaded - HAPPENS ON RANDOM Black Screen of Death Alien Breed - ALWAYS HAPPENS when the game loads shows the copyright notice at the beginning and right after that Black Screen of Death Since it always happens I tried running a music on the background and the music playback speed goes beyond slow as it kind of sounds like a bzzzz noise and stops eventually after about sec to min Lead and Gold Gands of the Wild West - ALWAYS HAPPENS when the game loads Same as Alien Breed right after the copyright notice appears there goes the Black Screen of Death Heroes of Newerth - HAPPENED ONCE out of hundreds of games each game lasts about - mins Random Black Screen of Death First thing you would think it's a graphic driver issue so I've uninstalled driver completely and reinstalled with various versions factory driver from the manufacturer latest from nVidia unofficial ones from LaptopVideo Go and NONE of them fixed the issue Of course I used applications like Driver Sweeper to make sure I go through a clean driver installation process So I figured graphic driver wasn't the problem but seeing the problem occurring while using a Photoshop questions this evaluation Now I really feel hopeless and am left with only frustration Please I would provide as many details as possible so help me solve this issue Thank you so much in advance

Relevancy 85.57%

Hi everyone after houres searching and trying I can't figure out this problem And I'm hoping someone of you can help me out My problem I'm stuck with the quot Black screen of death quot I get the black screen with the white arrow that I can move but I can't do anything else I've already tried the following - ctrl alt of screen death Black del to open task manager and open explorer exe no luck - ctrl shift esc no luck either - Used my Vista cd to quot repair my computer quot No boot problems found - Ran a checkdisk -r and -f from the Black screen of death repair console nothing changed - Used the commando bootrec FixMbr FixBoot BuildBcd nothing - checked my RpcSs in the regedit - changed my Logs map to Logs bad and created new Logs map c Windows System winevt - Tried to boot in safe mode the same problem as standard boot - Put the HDD in an external case and checked on virusses nothing there - Changed the permission to everyone HDD in Black screen of death external case - Used GParted Live to see if the correct partition was flagged with quot boot quot was so - Tried system recovery to a point back it says there were no points while I created a few a while back And that's about it I've found some other options to try but all the others require that you can get task manager running Does anyone have an idea what I can try next Beside reinstalling my complete system Thanks in advance And sorry about my bad English

Welcome
Here is a solution from our own Corrine
Black screen of death

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/294815-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hey all,

Just a while ago i used windows update feature of windows 7 to download those important/recommended updates which were for my newly installed office 2007. The downloads finished and installed normally but it won't boot pass the windows logo after the restart to finish the updates. There is just a black screen with a underscore flashing. How do i fix this guys?

A:I think i just got the Black Screen of Death

Boot from the W7 DVD and do a system restore.

Method 2

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-think-i-just-got-the-black-screen-of-death.887040/
Relevancy 85.57%

Upon the completion of the filling of my 500GB my system ceased to boot. The exact verbiage IS: "internal hard disk drive not found. to resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive. No bootable devices --strike f1 to boot, f2 for setup utility, f5 to run on board diag..." The system is an Inspiron 1720 Dell. Any other specs may be requested. Thank you for your help.

A:Black Screen of Death???

This worked for one person........ BOOT BCD Error 0xc00014c | Windows Secrets Lounge

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/326572-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi, I am getting a black screen and the only way to get around it is to switch off and back on.  It does not occur at the same point each time.  The usual sequence is that it fails during start-up a few times then I get a bit further and it fails a minute after I've got my desk top up, then perhaps 10 minutes into using it.  Eventually it stays up for quite a while but will still fail after an hour or so.  However, if I start in safe mode (with networking) I do not have this problem at all, so I think it is software rather than hardware.  I have run AVG free antivirus and scan disc but it made no difference. 
Can someone help me please. 

A:Black screen of death - help please

check out make and model of the graphics card and go to the site of the manufacturer and see if drivers are available.

if the graphics are on board check out the motherboard make and model and again go to the manufacturer site to download all drivers available for the mother board..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527482/black-screen-of-death-help-please/
Relevancy 85.57%

What's Up,

I was doing some homework on my desktop when all of a sudden the screen went black. I tried holding the power button down to see if that would shut it down but it didn't work. I unplugged it from the wall for 5mins and that didn't work either. The system is only 1 year and 1/2 old. I called and talked with the geek squad and they are wanting to charge me $100 just to look at it. A buddy of mine told me that my video card may need replacing. I have a Gateway GT4010; 1G RAM. Hawaii is very expensive, Help?

Relevancy 85.57%

I have an older dell latitude D610 laptop and recently went to turn it on and just as soon as the loading screen goes off it turns black with a cursor in the left hand top of the screen. That's all it does. On other computers i' ve had you could press F8 on the load screen and load windows from an earlier point but this one only has F2 and F12. I need help please

The Dell Latitude D610 is a 2005-era laptop that came with Windows XP.

When was Windows 7 installed in it?

----------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-of-death.1129619/
Relevancy 85.57%

HI I am getting frequents black screen death.. screen of HELP! Black of deaths Very Black screen of death.. HELP! few times what I Black screen of death.. HELP! see is Black screen while working on After effects or browsing internet or watching movies today I got black screen while playing multilayer MW and even on Batman What it does The screen goes black and CPU is running Keyboard lights goes off in times I see that whole system gets restarted again Graphic driver is latest updated CPU temp are - C idle and C while playing games Mobo temps around C normal while playing games RAM are okay in MemTest I recently tested my system with Performance test with all test and it shows result as http s postimg org icsp avav Untitled png What can be the issue of black screens I checked my CPU it has black lines See images I tried to rub it with cloth and it was getting off is that dust Will that effect If yes then how can I clean it in a better way Is this CPU is issue http s postimg org qwvz h DSC jpg http s postimg org eainyfikd DSC jpg My system specs Mobo ASUS M A T-M CPU AMD Phenom II X T BE CPU Cooler CM Hyper EVO GPU EVGA GeForce GTX Ti DS Superclocked PSU Seasonic Gold X W HDD gigs RAM Dump files http drv ms nL qVj nbsp

A:Black screen of death.. HELP!

remember my son having black screens playing dayz,turned out to be graphics card,suggest try a different one

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-of-death-help.1126666/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello, have a Big problem
Yesterday i booted my pc and eyyyyy only a cursor with black screen
I tried all possible fixes but Nothing worked, all steps in yt, Nothing, running in safe mode, same all f8 tasks tried, can topen? task manager, Nothing im forsted up with it,
Maybe Its because i delayed last ntfs scan but idk...
Please help, i have there to many documents for reinstal it

But i can run in fix the cmd so if can be there any comand to scan ntfs OR kill the black death screen pls reply

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/336609-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello everyone,
Just recently i got a problem with my pc running windows 7. what happens is, everything works fine to the point where i reach the login screen, i click on my user icn, enter my password and then it loads and i get a blank black screen with only the cursor showing.
what's weird is when i switch my user account and use guest or administrator (i have 3 accounts), i can successfully login and see my desktop and task bar and icons. it's only when i log into my user account that i get this problem.
i have searched everywhere for a solution but with no luck.
someone please help me!

thank you!

Hi realnsleo and welcome to SF.
It's just a hunch but it looks like explorer.exe isn't started/crashed due to a possibly corrupted profile.
press CTRL-ALT-Del and check the task list, if explorer exe runs.
If not, in Task manager go to File/New Tasl(Run) and start explorer.exe from there.
If that works, we'll figure out how to fix your probably corrupted user profile.

-DG

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/155766-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi I recently Screen Death Black of started up my Black Screen of Death desktop and suddenly it was a black screen with only the Black Screen of Death cursor There was nothing I can do can't get into task manager or anything I tried going into repairs Black Screen of Death during the startup and tried system restore and the others but no go Safemode does not work either same black screen issue We tried putting in a Vista upgrade disk in but after you click on install vista I receive a message stating quot A required CD DVD drive device is missing If you have a driver floppy disk CD DVD or USB please insert it now quot I tried downloading the driver file from the hp site and also extracted the setup file which I then put in the usb But when I plugged in the usb and tried going to that file I still get the message no driver Any help is much appreciated Computer HP Pavilion Elite m f Windows Vista home premium x GB AMD Phenom x Processor GB Hard drive

Hi why are you using a vista disc you could do better with a win 7 disc and run a start up repair

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-of-death-705509.html
Relevancy 85.57%

For about two years the screen will suddenly go black and stay that way until I reboot - it can happen at any time for example Black Death of Screen on or off the internet working on documents or playing games just after startup or after working for hours Sometimes it won t happen for weeks and then it wil happen or times in an hour - I have tried to track the problem before but have never got anywhere There is only one error that occurs in event viewer - sometimes it is around the same time as the BSOD and sometimes it is there but nothing happens to the computer Event Type Error Event Source Service Control Manager Event Black Screen of Death Category None Event ID Date Time PM User N A Description The Cam WDM Video Capture service failed to start due to the following error The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it Yesterday I researched the message and thought it was caused by some software that was related to a digital camera so I uninstalled deleted the relevant folders Today the computer has crashed again but the error is now slightly different Event Type Error Event Source Service Control Manager Event Category None Event ID Date Time AM User N A Description The Cam WDM Video Capture service failed to start due to the following error The system cannot find the file specified I have found this error on Google related to other types of analog to digital conversion equipment but not to the Cam Some of my computer specifications are Intel Pentuim GHz ABIT IS series motherboard Radeon Pro video card MB RAM Windows XP Pro pack Any suggestions as to what I should do next Many thanks

If you have the drivers/software installed for a digicam...you simply need to remove such (I suspect that the files are damaged)...then reinstall if you want.FWIW: Removing installed software should be done via Add/Remove Programs. Removing drivers may need to be done via Add/Remove Programs and via Device Manager.This may be useful: How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/215149/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

Im having trouble with this computer pretty much at every step it went from a simple Screen Death... Of Black upgrade of the motherboard and processor to upgrading processor mb memory and case Heres Black Screen Of Death... some details i purchased a mb cpu and memory of ebay off ebay it guarenteed the mb worked fine it got here and the processor was shot it still booted but once windows started loading it froze then i checked bios and it was running at degrees so i tossed the processor and the fan I got a upgrade of the processor from AMD XP to and a new fan Put it in and black screen of death nothing at all I removed the SCSI cables and removed the memory to see if i got any beeping from the internal speaker but nothing at all the motherboard doesnt have on board video so im using a AGP expansion card for that any suggestions Ive also took out the new processor and put the old one back in and i still get nothing I also realized that BIOS needed to be flashed to use the new processor but i havent done that yet nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-of-death.694137/
Relevancy 85.57%

I've got this Systemax computer that was handed down to me... It's doesn't boot up, but it tries. When I hit the power button, the fans go, but nothing on the screen at all.

Anyone have any ideas where to start diagnosing the problem?

Thanks,
Mike

Relevancy 85.57%

hello new to here ok sorry for the confusion i had good old internet explorer just close every window on me while writing this problem so i am trying to install windows everything goes fine i get to the last check mark and it is of screen 64 death? bit Win Black 7 completing installation then my screen goes Win 7 64 bit Black screen of death? black Just BLACK it's the computer problem of my life i can't even begin to know what the real problem is windows support says it's probably a hardware device i am unfortunately running vista right now and i have ran Ubuntu on this desktop without any problems it is a custom build so i know enought to put it together just not enough to know the fine details of the drivers world so i am stumped i have let the Black screen sit for hours and nothing happend to make sure it was or was not installing i have to reset if i do and let it boot normally i get a windows logo and then black screen again if i go into safe mode it will tell me windows cannot complete installation and needs restart thus looping over and over i am going to try using another copy of win to see if my disc is corrupted otherwise i really have no idea any help would be great oh and my specs are intel core duo wolfdale ghz gigs DDR ram currently as i was told to take some out might help GIGABYTE GTX graphics SLI i have used drivers from CD and from internet no joy WD GB hard drive EVGA i SLI Mobo

A:Win 7 64 bit Black screen of death?

I have no idea whether or not your problem is similar, but someone on the forums recently solved a black screen problem of their own:

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...ws-screen.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/79335-win-7-64-bit-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Something got deleted from the registry that shouldn't have and now I have a black screen of death I downloaded a few cleaners for screen of death. Black spyware and they messed my computer up Black screen of death. more even after uninstalling It was slow and just too much crap but no viruses so I thought I'd use a registery cleaner to get rid of what was left I planned on just formatting my harddrive soon but of course didn't get a chance to backup my files first First I coudln't get past the Windows Log in screen which was in Japanese or something I could tell because where my user photo should've been was a box with some icon I clicked it thinking I could at least restart Wrong My settings were somehow still intact though it woud shut off after minutes That turned into pic below After that I plugged my my bootable USB flash drive in restarted and hae a black screen of death No lights no noise nothing I unplugged my flash drive and still stuck on a black screen of death and now I can't restart it or anything There is only one light lit up a lightbulb whatever that means but I can't shut it off I can't do anything The battery is built-in so I can't do anything about that either Am I screwed Link to exact laptop I have http www amazon com Asus-Q LA-BBI T - - -Inch-Touch-Screen-Laptop dp B LU R I Asus Windows i gb

A:Black screen of death.

OK, the first thing to check is to see if your data is still on the system.
To do this you'll need a flash drive with a portable (Live) operating system on it that will allow to boot with UEFI support
You'll also probably need an external USB drive to save all your data on.

1)  To shut down the computer, press and hold the button that turns it on.  It may take 30 seconds or more, so be patient
2)  I'd suggest this portable/live operating system drive from it's description (I haven't used it myself as I have proprietary tools at work that I use):  http://www.boot-disk.com/

Boot to the flash drive by rapidly tapping the F8 key (or it can be the Esc key) - or you can use this to set the drive as the first boot option:  http://www.asus.com/support/faq/1008277
The locate and copy the data that you want to save to the external drive (most likely this will be the Users folder on the system's hard drive - that's where most of your personal data is stored).

Also, do you have installation media or a Startup Repair drive?  If not, I'd suggest contacting Asus for recovery media as it may be necessary:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html#asus (link is for US users - others will have to contact the local support center for their manufacturer)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587780/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

running windows 10. I keep getting a black screen and nothing works. once in a great while I will also get a screen saying windows encountered and needs to shut down. I've already checked to make sure it's not some kind of malware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606177/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi I recently started up my screen Black of death desktop and suddenly it was a black screen with only the cursor There was nothing I can do can't get into task manager or anything I tried going into repairs during the startup and tried system restore Black screen of death and the others but no go Safemode does not work either same black screen issue We tried putting in a Vista upgrade disk in but after you click on install vista I recieve a message stating A required CD DVD drive device is missing If you have a driver floppy disk CD DVD or USB please insert it now I was about to try and download the driver from the hp site and put it in the usb but I believe I need to have the files in the usb not the setup exe Any help is much appreciated Computer HP Pavilion Elite m f Windows Vista home premium x GB AMD Phenom x Processor GB Hard drive

One option would be to try to do a System Restore from the System Recovery Options.  The instructions below you will create a bootable recovery disc which will eventually take you to the System Recovery Options which includes System Restore.  Disregard the instruction for the Command Prompt, that is for a different issue.

These instructions apply to both Windows Vista and Windows 7.

If your have a Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc start with step 2.

Step 1.  Create a Windows Vista or Windows 7 Recovery disc.

Download a legal Windows Vista Recovery ISO image here. 

Download a legal Windows 7 Recoverry ISO image here.

You will need to burn the ISO file to a CD or DVD, please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert a blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

Locate the ISO file, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning bootable disc.

Step 2.  Place the disc you created in the tray of your CD/DVD drive, close it and reboot the computer.  

Notice:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD drive the first device.

At the first screen click on Repair your computer.  

When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box,click on Next.

The next screen will be the System Recovery Options, select Command Prompt.

In the Command Prompt copy and paste or type bootrec /FixMbr and then press Enter.  If you type this in please notice the space between bootrec and /FixMbr.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/505953/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

I have tried so many ways to fix my computer. The most common method to fixing the black screen of death seems to restarting from a recovery point but my comp doesn't have any :(. can you help?

Restart the computer and press F8. In the Advanced Boot menu (Safe Mode etc) choose Repair Your Computer. If you have a Windows DVD you can also boot from the DVD and choose Repair Your Computer.
You also can download the ISO image of Seatools in my signature. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn. Also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the HDD. If either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-of-death-693496.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I have never had a BLUE Screen of Death, but on wakening from sleep sometimes I get a Black screen with big lettering offering options like Safe Mode and Restart Windows Normally (which I choose) and all is normal.

Apart form having a blue background, what else is on a BSOD?

Thanks.

A:What about Black Screen of Death?

Let me google that for you

Usually an error code and a short deacription.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/374224-what-about-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello On my desktop computer that's running Vista I've been getting a Black Screen of Death meaning when I start my computer it gives me a black screen with just a mouse cursor I can't use control alt delete of Screen Black Death to open task manager I can't do anything Starting Black Screen of Death windows in any of the safe modes gives me the same result I burned a recovery disc and am able to run startup repair but it doesn't find anything wrong my computer I can also run Black Screen of Death command prompt from that menu Here's a pretty detailed account of exactly what happened Hopefully some of it will be of use If not ignore it It started when one of my usb ports stopped working My mouse was plugged in to it so I had to move my mouse to a usb in the back of my computer The mouse still wouldn't work however and since this issue has been resolved in the past with restarting my computer I did just that When my computer started up my mouse worked but I would get a Blue screen of death at log-on It said service system exception I don't remember what else it said because it flashed by so quickly At this time I could still run in safe mode I assumed it was a driver issue as I recently downloaded a update for my graphics driver and it didn't seem to work very well with my system But then I read about this startup repair option using google So I found my recovery disc and run it at startup Here is where I think my problem started Apparently the repair tools were not on that disc and it was only for reinstalling windows I kept pressing next hoping to find the repair option This was really stupid of me as it started installing windows I quickly canceled but it wasn't fast enough because the next time I booted I got the boot manager is missing message at startup So then I burned myself a recovery disc and managed to get to startup repair using that Running that fixed the boot manager is missing at startup but still gave me the blue screen at startup So using safe mode I used system restore Unfortunately I didn't go to the restore point that was updating my graphics drivers but instead the restore point that was a couple days later which was a windows update I thought that if that restore point didn't work I would do the graphics one next Well I got another blue screen after doing the restore but the next time it rebooted it gave me the Black screen So now I can't even do another system restore as safe mode doesn't work any more I have googled the problem but none of the fixes worked so far for me The problem seems to be fairly old so that's why I'm hoping that you guys can give me a new solution

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-of-death-594222.html
Relevancy 85.57%

everytime my computer turns on it says system can not store from original...because image corrupt. whats that mean!?!

Relevancy 85.57%

Hello I am having terrible problems with what seems to be only occuring in my Incredimail program Every time I open an email click a link edit settings etc my pc reboots itself I am using Windows XP Home as my OS Here is my HJ log just in case it s not just Incredimail I have totally uninstalled and then reinstalled Incredimail and it is still occuring Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System Of Black Death Screen smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Black Screen Of Death WINDOWS system MultiAppNT exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files ewido anti-malware ewidoctrl exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Softwin BitDefender Communicator xcommsvr exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exe C PROGRA PESTPA PPControl exe C PROGRA PESTPA PPMemCheck exe C PROGRA PESTPA CookiePatrol exe C Program Files Logitech Video LogiTray exe C progra yahoo YCentral YahooCentral exe C PROGRA MICROI INTERN KEMailKb EXE C PROGRA MICROI INTERN KPDrv XP EXE C Program Files eBay eBay Toolbar eBayTBDaemon exe C Program Files Muiltmedia keyboard utility KbdAp A exe C Program Files Softwin BitDefender bdoesrv exe C PROGRA Softwin BITDEF bdnagent exe C WINDOWS system LVComS exe C PROGRA Softwin BITDEF bdswitch exe C Program Files Google Google Talk googletalk exe C Program Files CalendarPal CalendarPal exe C Program Files The Weather Channel FW Desktop Weather DesktopWeather exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr AcroTray exe C PROGRA INCRED bin IMApp exe C Program Files Common Files Softwin BitDefender Update Service livesrv exe C Program Files Common Files Softwin BitDefender Scan Server bdss exe c progra softwin bitdef bdmcon exe C Program Files Softwin BitDefender vsserv exe C Documents and Settings Nyn Mandragoran Desktop SHORTCUTS PC MAINTENANCE HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhost O - BHO eBay Toolbar Helper - D E - A E- DFB- E-AAB F BD - C Program Files eBay eBay Toolbar eBayTB dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - Toolbar IncrediBar - D - C - -BF -C ACBF E - C Program Files IncrediBar bin IBTBar dll file missing O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar eBay Toolbar - AD -F A- D-BD -B CC DF CE - C Program Files eBay eBay Toolbar eBayTB dll O - HKLM Run SystemTray SysTray Exe O - HKLM Run SmcService C PROGRA Sygate SPF smc exe -startgui O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run HostManager C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exe O - HKLM Run PestPatrol Control Center C PROGRA PESTPA PPControl exe O - HKLM Run PPMemCheck C PROGRA PESTPA PPMemCheck exe O - HKLM Run CookiePatrol C PROGRA PESTPA CookiePatrol exe O - HKLM Run LogitechVideoRepair C Program Files Logitech Video ISStart exe O - HKLM Run LogitechVideoTray C Program Files Logitech Video LogiTray exe O - HKLM Run YCentral c progra yahoo YCentral YahooCentral exe O - HKLM Run FLMK KB C Program Files Muiltmedia keyboard utility MMKEYBD EXE O - HKLM Run KEMailKb C PROGRA MICROI INTERN KEMailKb EXE O - HKLM Run KPDrv XP C PROGRA MICROI INTERN KPDrv XP EXE O - HKLM Run eBayToolbar C Program Files eBay eBay Toolbar eBayTBDaemon exe O - HKLM Run BDMCon C PROGRA Softwin BITDEF bdmcon exe O - HKLM Run BDOESRV quot C Program Files Softwin BitDefender bdoesrv exe quot O - HKLM Run BDNewsAgent quot c progra softwin bitdef bdnagent exe quot O - HKLM Run BDSwitchAgent quot c progra softwin bitdef bdswitch exe quot O - HKLM Run MSConfig C WINDOWS PCHealth HelpCtr Binaries MSConfig exe auto O - HKCU Run googletalk quot C Program Files Googl... Read more

Relevancy 85.57%

I have had my new Dell Studio 15 Laptop for under a week. Earlier today, after it updated, it took a while to log in, so I restarted and it was fine. Then, about 20 mins ago, I start, log on and get the Black Screen of Death. I safe moded and did a system restore. It is on now, but I am afraid to shut it off. Any advice?

Btw, I am not tech savvy, so...bare with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by degausser_

I have had my new Dell Studio 15 Laptop for under a week. Earlier today, after it updated, it took a while to log in, so I restarted and it was fine. Then, about 20 mins ago, I start, log on and get the Black Screen of Death. I safe moded and did a system restore. It is on now, but I am afraid to shut it off. Any advice?

Btw, I am not tech savvy, so...bare with me.

OKAY, so Windows checked and said that:
Problem Event Name: Blue Screen
OS Version: bunch of numbers
etc
etc
Files that contributed to it:
a minidump TODAY...wth?
and 2: users/my name/appdata/local/temp/wer-515729-0.sysdata.xml
.../local/temp/wer8777.tmpversion.text

Please translate that into English.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-of-death-408692.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I was installing some updates for XP and I had to do it over three days because it took so long on dial-up but dsl has not reached my area yet. After it was downloaded/installed I was playing some music on the windows media player when all of a sudden the screen went black. I have played this same music for months so I don't think that it was the cause. I can try to boot-up, but all I hear is the fans going. The monitor show "no signal, going to sleep". I would like to know before I take it to the shop if this is that infamous black screen of death. Would it be worth it to get it repaired? Any info on the subject would be appreciated.

Relevancy 85.57%

Everytime I turn on my laptop I get a black screen after the Dell logo pops up. This has been happening for atleast a month now. The last time I got it to completely boot up I ran virus scans, malware scans, and tried doing a restore with all no such luck. The last thing I did on my laptop was create a PowerPoint presentation with no new hardware or software configuration. I took my laptop to my schools IT department and couldn't get it to boot up as well. any suggestions?

The laptop is Dell Studio 1558 with Windows 7 and an Intel Core i3.

Does it boot fine sometimes? Can it boot from bootable DVD for example a win7 install DVD?

do you have a win7 install DVD or win7 system repair disk?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/272917-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Computer has problems screen of death Black after log-in nothing loads except for a taskbar without a start button Using Black screen of death ctrl-alt-del can access the options given and attempt to turn off or Black screen of death restart but just hangs at the screen saying quot shutting down quot The hijackthis log is as follows Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved Black screen of death at PM on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode with network supportRunning processes C Users Albert AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Users Albert AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Users Albert AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Program Files x PowerISO PWRISOVM EXEC Users Albert AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Users Albert AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Users Albert AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Users Albert AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Windows SysWOW rundll exeC Users Albert AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Pavilion amp pf cnnbR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htmR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http localhost R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO IDM Helper - C - - B-A BF- B C A A - C Program Files x Internet Download Manager IDMIECC dllO - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO Increase performance and video formats for your HTML lt video gt - E D- - FD- C - A F - C Program Files x DivX DivX Plus Web Player ie DivXHTML DivXHTML dllO - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - no file O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files x Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - HKLM Run UCam Menu quot C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Media Webcam MUITransfer MUIStartMenu exe quot quot C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Media Webcam quot update quot Software Hewlett-Packard Media Webcam quot O - HKLM Run QlbCtrl exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons QlbCtrl exe StartO - HKLM Run WirelessAssistant C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Wireless Assistant HPWAMain exeO - HKLM Run SwitchBoard C Program Files x Common Files Adobe SwitchBoard SwitchBoard exeO - HKLM Run AdobeCS ServiceManager quot C Program Files x Common Files Adobe CS ServiceManager CS ServiceManager exe quot -launchedbyloginO - HKLM Run WD Spindown Utility quot C Program Files x Western Digital Technologies Spindown ExSpinDn exe quot O - HKLM Run AmazonGSDownloaderTray C Program Files x Amazon Amazon Games amp Software Downloader AmazonGSDownloaderTray exeO - HKLM Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quo... Read more

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about the Windows version you are using: What we in particular need to know is version, edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system. [/b]If you are unsure about any of these caracteristics, just let us know and we'll help you figuring it out. Please also tell us if you have your Windows CD/DVD handy.Please include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.We need to create an OTL ReportPlease download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.In the custom scan box paste the following:

msconfig
safebootminimal
activex
drivers32
netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
wininit.exe
hlp.dat
/md5stopPush the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:OTL.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt<--Will be minimizedIn the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Watch Topic.I suggest you click it and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed.regards myrti

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/435759/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

I'm working on my son-in-laws computer, a Toshiba Satellite P25 laptop, running XP. He recently had trouble with the screen going black, and usually a restart would fix it. Now, when you turn it on, all the lights work, but the first screen we see is covered with zeros. Then we see the XP splash screen, then it goes black, and we see nothing else. With tthe volume on, you can hear it starting up, the XP music plays, but no screen. (lights are on, nobody's home...) If you boot it into safe mode, it boots fine-no problems there. I had previously installed AVG, Ad-Aware, Spy-bot S&D, and Spywareblaster-all have been recently updated, and running. Could this be a display issue?? And if so, how can I change display settings in normal mode if I have no screen??? Thanks for any advice anyone has!!!
thyme

A:Black screen of death???

if you login fine on safe mode then this is a problem with your display drivers or user profile so lest do this login on safe mode click on start run type msconfig click on the Boot.ini tab and put a check on Basevideo and check if the computer will boot on normal mode if it those update your display drivers

Now about your user profile you need to login on safe mode as administrator and backup your profile and delated and make a new one here is a link that can help you with that http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-5481772-1.html#

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-of-death.368248/
Relevancy 85.57%

my daughters laptop has developed the dreaded black screen,it wont boot in safe mode,wont boot from a recovery disc & none of the F keys work.....there is no screen loading at all,just black...any ideas?

Relevancy 85.57%

my dell xps 420 was on and the power went on and now when i turn my computer on all i get is my cursor and a black screen. I can get to the BIOS though. Has anyone got this before and fixed it without replacing any hardware?

Relevancy 85.57%

Hi I m running vista sp on I when in death of log screen Black an alienware m laptop Until recently I ve had no problems with it but this past week I ve been having Black screen of death when I log in a strange problem After logging on vista fades into a black screen with a mouse pointer and nothing else Strangely ctrl-alt-delete still works and I can bring up the task manager and go back to the login screen as normal though I can t seem to start any programs from the task manager like some other black screen sufferers have done I can log in normally if I restart the machine a couple of times The only other thing I ve noticed is that when the problem occurs there is a lot more disk activity when I log in or shut down I ve investigated some of the many quot black screen of death quot reports on the net but none of the solutions they propose seem relevant to my problem being instructed to change registry keys back to default values when mine are normal etc I ve tried doing a system restore and it did nothing except screw up some of my program installations I d appreciate any information that could help Thanks Exquemelin nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Yesterday I was watching a movie on VLC media player when my whole laptop started freezing randomly and I had to wait minute until it unfroze and after that it was slow as sh t and I couldn t even restart it it would stay stuck on my desktop wallpaper Then I just got impatient and removed my laptop battery and unplugged the AC cord Then I restarted my laptop and I couldn t get passed the BIOS it just showed a black screen with no cursor or anything I tried pressing F to enter safe of How I screen death? black fix do a mode but the safe mode screen doesn t appear I also tried doing a system restore from my How do I fix a black screen of death? BIOS but it would just give me an error saying that the restore point was corrupted Also I did drop my laptop about mins before this happened but it wasn t even a foot drop and it was on carpet but I m guessing by this that something inside the laptop got dislocated or something And yes it was the only time I ve dropped it Also when you let the black screen on for How do I fix a black screen of death? about mins it goes into System Repair but How do I fix a black screen of death? that doesn t do anything at all I wouldn t mind just taking it to the shop and completely reinstalling Windows but I have about gb of music and I seriously don t want to lose it Yes I know I should have backed it up but I ve never had a problem before so I didn t expect this I have an HP G if that matters at all Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Hi everyone i black of screen death think i have probably black screen of death made a noob mistake somewhere along the line but i am now very worried about what i might have done to my PC I bought a second hand cpu off ebay and the seller had rating so i wasnt worried untill i received the cpu i opened the parcel to find the chip loose in an envelope with just the plastic casing no bubblewrap or any protection around it i cant think of the beating it must have taken in the mail then i see pins in the corner were slightly bent so i get out the magnifying glass and a tiny pair of pliers and i bend them straight and it slips nicely into place and i lock black screen of death it down apply thermal paste and afix a new HSF unit i bought to match the jump in temp of the newer CPU i boot her up to see nothing but a black screen NOW im seriously worried i do a bit of googling and find i should reset my CMOS i do that remove the battery take out all but one stick of RAM hold PAGE UP during boot i tried everything to get into BIOS at least to no avail so now im sorely disappointed i think i may aswell put my old CPU back in I do so reapply thermal paste but put the new HSF unit on thinking at least i have a better HSF now You guessed it my old CPU won t boot either now so i reset the CMOS again and take out the battery but it s just not happening everything i try is in vain and i am scared i have lost my other girlfriend I am hoping this problem doesnt have any affect on my hard drives Is there something elementary i have overlooked here or any troubleshooting you guys can recommend or does it sound like both CPU s are now fried Thanks so much i apppreciate any advice nbsp

A:black screen of death

if anyone comes across this. do not worry i have pretty much assumed that i fried my motherboard. i am buying a new setup

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-of-death.852502/
Relevancy 85.57%

So the other day yesterday I was using my computer as I do almost everyday and was playing the game WorldofWarcraft then my comp froze nothing worked no mouse pointer or anything I had to Black screen of Death do the Hold Power button for seconds to turn off method Restarted it then it opened fine Then I Black screen of Death opened WoW and got don t remember exactly what it said to my annoyance a error message I think saying it couldn t find the video drivers or something So I restarted it again and then opened WoW and got a black page with mainly green and blue Vertical lines on it and again at that page the system froze up Black screen of Death F k I said to myself not good so more time I turned it off and restarted it only to find out Black screen of Death that Nothing would appear on my monitor Not only would nothing appear but as its a newish flat screen it showed me the Message quot Searching for Signal quot aka no signal as if it wasn t plugged in yes I checked its plugged in I wasnt sure where to post this but figured this is a good place to start If anyone has any ideas what this could be PLEASE post a tell as im poor and cant afford to buy a new computer Specs Pentium Ghz x Kingston SDRam x xyz brand Mb SDRam ATI Raedon Mb Video Card x gig HD x gig HD dont know Mobo specs and if ya need any other info Pls just ask and ill try to find it out I usually Post on Geeknewz com but for whatever reason in the past several months very few people check it so im trying a new site Thanks in advance everyone nbsp

A:Black screen of Death

well, im going the cheaper route and going to replace my video card, the one Im gettng is a PCI-E card, Im not sure this is the correct one, does anyone know how one checks whether or not this is the correct one,

the new one will be a ATI X1650, and my old, now kapoot one is a ATI Raedon 9250.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-of-death.713957/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi, I posted on a already started topic so my apologies if I've repeated.  Mod Edit:  Deleted that post, topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567383/computer-help-forum-black-screen-of-death-help/ - Hamluis
I'm having the same problem. I have a Sony Vaio running Windows 7 64 bit and I'm unable to boot up to the normal desk top screen. It just ends up a black screen, with only the mouse curser showing.
I've tried booting in safe mode, no success, I've tried booting from cmd promt which only takes me back to a few days ago to restore, no joy ether. I've read various solutions on how to fix this but again it's a negative! Having been recommended to your site I'm now hoping you can help.
All the Best,
Karl

Can you boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569452/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

This is not on my pc directly but it is on my uncle's laptop. He starts the computer and windows loads but right as soon as the window loading screen goes away the screen is all black its as if there is no video card enabled. we have also tried plugging in his monitor from his desktop since he has a laptop connector that allows you to hook a monitor up and display whatever is on the labtop. You can't navigate anything or anything liek that. Any Suggestions?

Relevancy 85.57%

Yes, thats a black screen, not blue

My problem is that my friend's computer will not load any type of OS. The computer has worked flawlessly for weeks. Then it just stopped. POST reports no errors. I can watch all of the boot procedure until the OS loading is going to happen. (RAM check, IDE check, RAID load, etc) I cannot even get the box to load Windows Startup from the CD...

I have checked the BIOS
I have swapped out the video card with another that works (the one I'm using right now)
I pulled all un-needed hardware's power cable to check for power issues
All fans are working
I can't get into Safe mode w/ F8, so it's not a screen resolution issue

Hardware Rundown:
AMD64x2 5400
ATI Radeon x1600Pro w/ aftermarket cooling added on to it.
Elitegroup KA3 MVP motherboard

Anyone have an idea?

A:black screen of death

Hi asmodeus47

Have you anouther HDD you can install and format and try installing an OS ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-of-death.75230/
Relevancy 85.57%

hi
so i dont know much about computers so no fancy talk thanks.

heres my problem i have a HP computer, windows 7
my computer was walking all fine until suddenly switched it on next day and it says window is loading
but when its done it just have a black screen with a cursor icon that i can move.

ive tried google help and youtubing it but to no avail. because ctrl alt delete dont work when i press it nothing pops up.

i tried system restore but it cant find system restore point. i dont want to reinstall everything if theres any to fix it without that
would be much appreciated

thanks im loosing my mind trying to find out how to fix it

Relevancy 85.57%

I just tried to install a biochemistry tutorial and netter antomy atlas to my pc. Once i peformed the restart I get a promp that says lsass.exe entry point not found. The procedure entry point _resetstkoflw could not be found in the dynamic libary msvcrt.dll. The the same this pops up again only under system.exe. I know that when i tried to install the programs they replaced my msvcrt.dll. After i push ok I get a blank screenand a cursor that is all. The same thing happens in safe mode. Now I just need to replace it with the original one. However I don't have a recover disk to do this. So is there any other way to fix my problem? Is there a way i couls replace it via a flash drive? Thanks guys.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-of-death-252101.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Running everything screen I of death think) Black could (tried windows ultimate Like many people I ve got the black screen of death Upon startup after the windows image I hear the start up sound but the screen is completely black No cursor like so people Ctrl alt dlt yields nothing I can get into safe mode In safe mode if I disable the drivers for my graphics card Nvidia GeForce GTX -not even months old I am then able to restart into normal mode I ve tried updating the drivers and I ve tried installing older drivers I ve also done every system restore point available Nothing has cured my problem I did run that download that is supposed to fix most issues with this problem too also no luck there I have ran Superanti spyware AVG and Malwarebytes All come up with a clean slate I can only assume Black screen of death (tried everything I could think) it s a registry error or something else Here is my HTJ log and DDS log that was run in normal mode Any help would be appreciated greatly Kevin from kevin s resource center suggested I go here

A:Black screen of death (tried everything I could think)

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREWe also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal AdviceThen create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:How to create a GMER logElle

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/392516/black-screen-of-death-tried-everything-i-could-think/
Relevancy 85.57%

alright where to begin I've reached a dead end with this problem and I cant determine what could possibly be causing this issue so any feed back on any level is valued and appreciated I have not had any issues for probably a few months now after the mini dump problem everything was fine once i had corrected the issue now the problem im facing is black screens of death at least I think its a bsod the problem presents it self while playing certain games lately its happened while playing or of screen black what? death world of warcraft this is what happens I start playing wow after a certain period of time the screen locks up and turns black while this is occurring the sound pushes out the last bit of music sound through the speakers the system does not reset the only way i can get it running again is by hard booting it once I have rebooted and entered windows the system has no logs or events of the problem ever happening not even an error message shows up on why it crashed So i end up searching for the dump file and no file is recorded as well so what could possibly be causing this cpu quad Intel vid gts mb evga black screen of death or what? sound creative xtreme music card mb abit board cant remember model ram corsair dominator ram dd os vista pro

A:black screen of death or what?

also I've checked the power settings, memory, and so on. ive done ram tests, video card tests and stability tests. no problems have been registered nor have they presented them selves during tests. some people that I have talked to said it could be due to gpu over heating. I checked all the temperature and nothing shows up as being to high.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/277935-black-screen-death-what.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I have an Acer aspire 5740 laptop running win xp, i tried partitioning the disk using a partitioning software which i downloaded from the internet and after making changes on the size of each drive,it prompted me to restart the computer to apply to changes and when i did that,the computer wont boot black screen appears and a blinking cursor on the upper left hand corner,also tried reinstalling os but i cant boot from cd. please help

What software did you use to for the partitioning?

When trying to boot to the disc make sure that the cdrom is selected a the first boot device.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/black-screen-of-death-669165.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello Last Saturday my wife turns on Death now? what Tried Everything, Black of - Screen the computer and says that when she tried to log in it would just display a plain black screen As I investigated sure enough when I Black Screen of Death - Tried Everything, what now? log in I only get a black screen I can move the mouse freely but nothing is visible I have tried the following The Prevx fixshell exe program Ran malware bytes antimalware in safe mode CTRL ALT Delete amp Ran new task quot explorer exe quot and I also tried quot C Windows explorer exe quot I also tried copying a new 'explorer exe' file from a fresh install of my exact OS from my laptop I verified my registry at HKEY Local Machine Software Microsot Windows NT Current Version Winlogon to make sure 'shell explorer exe' but still nothing Nothing seems to be working I can boot into Safe Mode just fine and see everything But I can't boot into my computer user normal anymore I really can't do an OS reinstall right now Please help

A:Black Screen of Death - Tried Everything, what now?

Do the following steps in safe mode.Click Start Menu
Right click My Computer/Computer
Click Manage
Click Device Manager from the list on the left
Expand Display adapters
Right click each display adapter in that list and click Uninstall (do not hit OK when the dialog pops up after clicking Uninstall)
Put a tick to delete driver software for the device and click OK
Restart Windows in normal mode

If you continue to have the same problem or other problems, let us know.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/207433-black-screen-death-tried-everything-what-now.html
Relevancy 85.57%

HI,and hope all is well with the members....i turned my laptop on and received this message...
windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt:

\windows\system32\config\system.....

I am trying not to loose my files, when doing this but if i have to, so be it...

i also put the original cd in to reinstall, and repair, and both would not install...pleaseeeeeeee if there is anyone that
can get my pc back up and running ...my family and myself would gratefully appreciate it..thank you and GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Also i am willing to give my phone number if it would be easier....

A:BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH

Do you have your Data backed up?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481265/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

Help I have two computers both running WinXP SP both having the black screen of death The first computer is a dell desktop Intel Pentium iii GeForce graphics card mb of RAM this computer is different from the other I first got the screen of death on this one when i went to the display properties menu and changed the display settings now everytime i turn on the computer I have to wait like fifteen minutes for the monitor to turn on while the CPU has been running after the monitor turns on the computer has skiped the BIOS boot up screen n everything it just directly goes to the black screen with a movable cursor no commands will work as I've already tried and I don't have any WinXP cds my second problem is with a dell Inspiron Intel Celeron and mb of RAM this computer has had problems when it used Black death Screen of to boot it Black Screen of death will Black Screen of death just go to the login screen then just show my desktop after trying to load up I downgrade its RAM and put it's original RAM in other computer but I decided to install a new OS Ubuntu on the Inspiron so I had to retake the RAM once I did the computer didnt even ask me to press F because of the RAM change the computer just simply went to the black screen with no movable cursor but this computer does go to the bios etc though i've already tried safe mode etc and no commands work i have no xp cds but i do have the ubuntu cd i would like to boot from but it Black Screen of death wont let me Any help plizzz

A:Black Screen of death

Start a second thread for the second computer. No one that can help you is going to waste time trying to figure out which computer is which in the middle of the same thread.

On the first computer (and only, for this thread), boot to Safe Mode and select the boot option "Use Last Known Good Configuration". Report results.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-of-death-501089.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hey everyone!

hoping that you guys can help me.

When I turn on my DELL LATITUDE D600 laptop the dell screen comes up and the white bar loads... perfect.

Then the XP screen comes up and the little blue squares run accross the screen about 10 times... good to go.

This is where it messes up, the screen goes BLACK, but I can still hear XP running. I formatted my computer and re-installed XP twice. It runs XP during the innitial install, but once I turn off or restart the machine, I get the black screen again.

If anyone has any idea what is causing this and how I can fix it, Id really appreciate it. You can email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks everyone!

Relevancy 85.57%

hi
so i dont know much about computers so no fancy talk thanks.

heres my problem i have a HP computer, windows 7
my computer was walking all fine until suddenly switched it on next day and it says window is loading
but when its done it just have a black screen with a cursor icon that i can move.

ive tried google help and youtubing it but to no avail. because ctrl alt delete dont work when i press it nothing pops up.

i tried system restore but it cant find system restore point. i dont want to reinstall everything if theres any to fix it without that
would be much appreciated

thanks im loosing my mind trying to find out how to fix it

A:<<HELP Black Screen Of Death>>

posted to different section

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-black-screen-of-death.1005325/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi new here and to malware in general.

Laptop is starting up with a black screen, mouse pointer is moving. Nothing else. Ctrl Alt Del and Ctrl Shift Esc do nothing.

This is what Ive done so far.
1. Safe mode: no difference
2. Safe mode with command prompt: Can finally start programs from the command line.
2a. Tried to run superantispyware and received "application failed to initialise properly" error. The same message appears for SpyBotSD.
3. Removed HDD and scanned on another computer as a secdonary drive. No infections with MalwareBytes or superantispyware.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
H

Hello , And to the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Forum. My name is Elise and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.I will be working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you may have with your machine.Please note that whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.The cleaning process is not instant. Logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happen. Please reply using the Add/Reply button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, send me or a moderator a personal message with the address of the thread or feel free to create a new one.You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you can choose email notifications. The topics you are tracking are shown here.-----------------------------------------------------------If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.If you have already posted a log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE-------------------------------------------------------------In the meantime please, do NOT install any new programs or update anything unless told to do so while we are fixing your problemIf you still need help, please include the following in your next replyA detailed description of your problemsA new DDS log (don't forget attach.txt)Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/397652/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

Alright I just got a new PC on Thursday and everything was going well untill Yesterday I don t know if this is a hardware issue or a issue with my OS or what but as I have been playing World of Warcraft only time it has happened so far My Monitor will just go black the No Signal Death? Screen of Black box Black Screen of Death? will pop up and my computer freezes with nothing I can do but hard boot it back It happened after I was playing for about or hours on sunday and then repeatedly after that point probably within minutes or so of trying again Here are my Specs Intel Core Duo E GHz bit Dual Core Processor MB L Cache GB x GB DDR GB SATA-II Gb s RPM HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT MB PCI Express Video Card Realtek ALC Audio Windows Vista Home Premium -bit ASUS P N-E SLI Motherboard NVIDIA nForce i SLI Chipset Anyone have any ideas let me know nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Hi after my computer boots it gets stuck on a black screen with a mouse cursor in the middle. I have been researching and reading for a solution but have not found one that works for me. I can't boot into safe mode or even safe mode with command prompt so i cant do any registry fixes which some people suggest. Iv also tried last known good configuration but that didnt work either. ctrl + alt + delete doesn't work either. iv tried doing a clean install and using the windows diagnostics and recovery toolset version 6. but they havnt worked either after the loading files bar the KSOD comes back again, it is like the computer cannot read the discs or it wont boot from them. Please does anyone have any solutions that i may try? Thank you very much for your help in advance.

If your motherboard has integrated graphics, enable them in BIOS. Also check if the gpu is properly positioned. If not, buy a cheap 9400GT and exchange it for the card you currently have to test out the motherboard.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/242767-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Afraid my laptop may have crapped out I installed the iCloud control panel for Windows and got a restart prompt It has happened several times where the screen stayed black after Screen Black Death of a reboot or coming back from suspend but it always worked again after a hard restart Not this time Windows won't boot to Black Screen of Death the login screen regularly OR in Safe Mode It just stays on a black screen with the mouse pointer I don't have any Black Screen of Death boot disks to try either but might be able to make one at work with a little direction I'm generally fairly savvy but not so much with new OS BIOS stuff Chk Dsk actually ran once and found no problems A few other Windows utilities from the F menu also found no issues Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool is running now - no problems yet I was thinking it might be the graphics card comp has an onboard Intel GPU plus a discrete Radeon card which had been turned on but can't find a way to enable disable them in the BIOS to test Trying to boot with low resolution or last good config don't work either Random note there were a couple profile IDs that I didn't recognize when I logged in to the F menu Not sure if they might be default ones ASPNET and HomeGroupUser Anyone have any ideas I have a bunch of files I would really like to avoid losing

You can try to retrieve your valued data files by several methods.

The simplest (IMO) is to remove the hard drive and connect it as a secondary drive to a working system...then move the files to either hard drive, USB, or other storage.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542384/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello I have spent a considerable amount Black Death screen of of time googling for a resolution to the Windows black screen of death Sadly I have not been able to find a solution on my own I would appreicate any help with this I ve seen this before on Vista but none of the fixes have resolved my issue I am not exactly sure what was done to cause this I last used my pc on Sunday to google a few things No updates were installed no drivers updated Just minutes or so of googling Today I turn on my pc and I get the black screen with the white mouse cursor I have been able to bring up sticky keys and than from there open explorer At this point I have ran Malwarebytes and NOD scans All of which have come up clean I was not surprised as these scans are ran on regular intervals The only solution I have found that regularly poppped up in google searches was the registry change to add NT Authority as the data value for one of Black screen of Death the reg keys However this was already set on my pc and did not need changed I have also tried the solution Here but I think it was just the same thing as the registry change I did manually I have also tried to restore the pc to an earlier time This also did not work -Thanks

A:Black screen of Death

Try here: http://www.troublefixers.com/black-screen-...ter+troubles%29

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296398/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

I've actually cried about this Death Screen of Black now embarrassingly because I have so many important files on my computer but here's the gist of it My Problem One day while I was happily using my computer I left it alone for just a few moments just a few to tend to my sister's needs The screen then turned dark because that is my screensaver none That is I thought that was merely the case as I returned to sit back and slide Black Screen of Death my mouse around to bring back my desktop's view Strangely enough it remained that way I figured it Black Screen of Death was Black Screen of Death stuck in its screensaver so I shut down my computer and booted it back up It goes through the regular routine shows the large silvery quot e quot to show that it's an eMachine and then black again It won't even let me start I'm afraid here I don't want all the documents pictures and various data I've collected for several years to be out of my reach forever What I've Tried So Far Holding F at startup F at startup I've tried various safe modes Last Known good Configuration and Starting Windows up Normally I haven't tried the other options such as quot Enable Boot Logging quot or whatever else is listed because I'm not sure what they'll do If anyone can tell me what they will do that'd be helpful as well Such as Directory Services Restore mode Debugging Mode VGA mode you get the idea Rebooting countless times My father tells me he's tried unplugging all the cables and plugging them back in again but I never witnessed him do it At any rate WHAT I NEED Answers as to how I can fix my dilemma How do I get rid of this black screen It won't show up anything save for the Advanced Options and various start up icons aforementioned quot e quot

Do you have another PC you can use? If so I would put your harddrive into that PC to back up the info (make sure you put them on seperate IDE channels to avoid any possible colissions). That way at the very least you do not loose your data, even if you end up reinstalling windows.

As for the repair, start by entering your BIOS and seeing if your BIOS will recognize your harddrive. If it doesn't recognize your harddrive then you can assume that is the problem. Otherwise, if none of those advanced options work you will likely need to start from the recovery console. This will require your windows CD to access. You will need to boot to the cd and press r at the first prompt to repair using the recovery console. From the recovery console start by running chkdsk...type the code below

Code:
chkdsk c: /r

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-of-death-278962.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Not a blue screen of death but rather black Here's my issue Shut computer off during vacation I have a surge protector Came back boot up no go Boots until windows logo appears then it just goes black with only the mouse cursor up Nothing will exit from this screen CTL-ALT-Del no go Rebooted in safe mode and same deal and same black screen before login prompt Enabled low resolution to verify its not video card nothing Entered BIOS and switched to boot from dvd drive with install disc Went to Start up repair said it could not fix here is the readout on the bottom Root cause found --------------------------- Boot manager is missing or corrupt cannot of Black Screen Death?????? repair automatically Repair action File repair Result Failed Error code x Time taken ms Black Screen of Death?????? Went to system restore Cannot restore no points Went to system last known image No images created my fault just installed windows like months prior with no issues Went to command prompt and did a Bootrec bootfix and Bootrec rebuildbcd Nothing still black screen Some background info in case it relates to the dillema I have windows installed on my E drive and seperate from my data HD C so I can run a bit faster But I still have some old data on the E drive that I absolutely need and subsequently never moved to the C drive The E drive is from my old computer so I have some important photos and documents I do not wish to lose So I'm contemplating reistalling windows completely but do not want to lose anything I know I should have backed up my data on all drives but I havn't yet Plus I don't know how to do this effectively without windows running Anyway some fixes short a complete wipe and re-install would be grand Thanks ahead of time all and look forward to any suggestions My system specs are under my user profile if need be I'm not a pro at fixes but I am an engineer and understand some terminology and basic commands but not all so bear with me if I ask what an achronym is or how to do a particular corrective action I didn't build the computer myself I had a friend help whose done this plenty of times and for a living with no issues with other clients However he is out of the country right now Anyway thanks

A:Black Screen of Death??????

have u booted without restart after system failure from 'F8' to get a bluescreen error code?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/153988-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Just quickly typing this in safe mode. I updated my malwarebytes and I was told to restart pc (because it had found 18 pup's) which I did. Now after the wellcome screen it fades to black so only the white cursor is seen. This is a real pain and I don't know if the driver has gone again. My next reply will be on my tablet, can anyone offer any suggesstions on what do to please? Am running windows 7.

Hi,
If available, I'd start with the install disk and do a startup repair. The next step will depend on the results of this first step
Keep us posted

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529888/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

I was using my PC last week turned it off and when I turned it on Black of death screen on next day it kept the black screen with cursor only befor showing the welcome message from Windows Ctrl Alt Del don't work Ctrl Shift Esc don't Black screen of death work so I forced turn off I started my PC again in safe Black screen of death mode and it worked with internet after a few days the internet stoped working I tryed restoring my Windows my PC restart with the black screen again I went to safe mode and it gives me a error saying the Windows can't restore After a few days I tried going to Windows log and I've found a strange error And now I tryed to run the system log and it sayed quot Event Log is unavailable Verify that the service is running quot I guess this is the end of the line I don't want to reformat my PC but I guess I can't do anything else

I've been working with Windows in large scale environments since WinNT and when it a Windows install repeats problems just 'nuke & pave'.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-of-death-590098.html
Relevancy 85.57%

So I'm assuming this is the wrong forum to post this If death? of BLACK SCREEN that is the case please point me in the BLACK SCREEN of death? right direction and accept my appology I don't have a quot blue screen of death quot but rather a quot black quot screen of idle time of who knows how long these days This is my problem if it doesn't apply to this help forum tell me where to post it at and upon knowing the right place I will elaborate on the issue Running Windows Home Premium x on a hp laptop G about gigs of RAM gig hard drive pentium dual core t at ghz and basics installed to keep laptop simple have more info once i'm in forum I need to be I start up the laptop it boots fine from what I can hear Windows animated start op orb does what it does normally brings me to the log in screen where I have accounts to choose from admin and standard I log in under my account which is a admin account and then I get a black screen with a movable cursor for what seems like forever Realistically it's about minutes Guessing Then when it finally does move on from the screen I get normal settings on what is my normal desktop however it lags bad takes forever for that crappy hp wireless assistant to turn on It's getting annoying I have a past Microcomputer Degree but I bought a PC years back preinstalled with Vista and hated it and never kept up on OS from vista on out So I know it's not normal but this day and age and being out of tune I need some help please thanks

A:BLACK SCREEN of death?

Hmm, you can try typing "msconfig" in the start menu and go to the startup tab then disable as many unnecessary programs as you can, excluding your Anti virus.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/326837-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello, here is my first post for ask for help here: I have a problem with my Windows 7 Professional X64. I went back from my vacactions and now, when i tried to initialize windows 7, it only shows the "Starting windows" screen, but when it needs to show the user login screen, it shows just a black screen with nothing more. ?Somebody can help me? Its the first time that i have a problem like this. Any help will be thanked

Can you access Safe Mode?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/139051-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi bare with me here as I try to explain this as clearly as possible So yesterday I tried to boot my laptop only to get a black Screen of Black Death screen no bios post nothing Power lights come on fans spin but that's it I had tested it down to the point where I was pretty sure it was a GPU Motherboard issue It has always run pretty hot so my plan was to do a Black Screen of Death GPU reflow However this took a strange turn this morning After leaving Black Screen of Death it sitting for hours I tried to boot it up and surprise it went into post After that it went to a windows update screen went to updating then I got a blue screen of death with the error code worker thread returned at bad irql Black Screen of Death then it restarted After that straight back to black screen of death and can't get it to post again This has really confused me as I was sure it was a mobo gpu issue until this and was all set to perform a reflow today Now not so sure what to do If anyone has some helpful insight into my issue I would very much appreciate it Ryan

Did you try safe mode?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530756/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

I was using my computer this evening when it suddenly started shutting down Realizing that earlier in the day death?) Screen Black (of I was getting prompts that my computer needed to be restarted so that updates would install I realized that must have been what was happening The computer restarted installed the updates then I believe it Black Screen (of death?) restarted again It went to a black screen where it looked like it was loading drivers which I have seen recently after other updates I don t know if it was then or not but I know the computer shut itself off much like what would happen if it were overheating I know overheating was not the case in this instance as I had only Black Screen (of death?) had the computer on for a few minutes When I tried to Black Screen (of death?) restart the computer nothing happens All the lights come on and it sounds as if it s starting up but no windows screen no BIOS nothing so I can t even start in safe mode I am thinking I have a botched update but I don t know what I can do if anything to fix the situation Can anyone provide any help or hope I think my Vista is Home Premium bit The last software install I did was Firefox but that has been over a week ago nbsp

A:Black Screen (of death?)

Hi you might try a start up repair http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-of-death.1005449/
Relevancy 85.57%

Just had my first Black of death. screen black screen of death Windows bit intel quad Q Nvidia geforce gts running at deg Celsius which Black screen of death. is a bit on the high side I guess gig SSD Computer has been running all day The temperature here is not high but I see the card may be a little high I was working and the screen turned black without a mouse pointer I have been running windows for a while so it isnt a new update The BlackSOD seems to occur rarely if google is to believed I updated the nvidia drivers about weeks ago so that seems an unlikely culprit About months ago I got the new Black screen of death. SSD put in and plus a bigger new fan for the cooling Seems to be running fine fan There have been no major changes to the computer of late I haven't been able to do a system restore with because I keep getting an error that a file cant be over written I probably can if I destroy my restore points The system will not restore even with the virus protection avast off Like I said I didn't find much on the web so I am hoping someone here has some ideas Thanks in advance Cheers

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/70710-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hey guys This is my first post and I really need help I just purchased a brand new HD for my comp and reinstalled a fresh copy of windows XP home on it Everything quot seemed quot to be working fine but now the system hangs for literally minutes when I boot All I get is this black screen and then after minutes windows pops up The same thing happens during game play If I exit the game I get a black screen the system hangs and after minutes it comes Need of help! screen DEATH! The BLACK back on I have a Radeon and I tried the newest drivers and it started I tried older drivers catalyst and it continued I updated the BIOS and edited the settings for AGP and it The BLACK screen of DEATH! Need help! worked for one reboot but the problem came back once I played a game I have the right monitor installed and everything but the problem persists I could really use the help here ANy suggestions will be throughly appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my main hard drive, with XP Home SP3 on my second hard drive as a backup. A couple of days ago I had to use system restore in Windows 7, which seemed to go okay until it rebooted and I got the normal welcome screen and then the Black Screen of Death. I have tried all the Advanced Options, Repair your computer Safe Modes etc but every time I end up back at the BSOD. I cannot do a Repair Install as I cannot get into Windows 7.
Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks for you help.

A:Black Screen Of Death

Quote: Originally Posted by johnp

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my main hard drive, with XP Home SP3 on my second hard drive as a backup. A couple of days ago I had to use system restore in Windows 7, which seemed to go okay until it rebooted and I got the normal welcome screen and then the Black Screen of Death. I have tried all the Advanced Options, Repair your computer Safe Modes etc but every time I end up back at the BSOD. I cannot do a Repair Install as I cannot get into Windows 7.
Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks for you help.

Boot from the dvd and do a repair install from there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/65587-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Was working on the laptop when all of a sudden it blue screened. I was unable to copy down the code before it reset, but once it turned back on, the desktop is black. This happens right after I login. The taskbar is still there but there is no start button. I can boot into safe mode and its works ok. I've checked the event viewer and the main thing seems to be saying: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Specs:
HP dv4t-1400
Windows 7 64-bit

Thanks in advance

A:Black Screen of Death?

If this is recent, you might want to try the System Restore option through the Windows safe mode.That should restore any changes that is causing this problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/435750/black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 85.57%

I was on my computer and picked up a virus, now instead of my desktop, i have a black screen with absolutely nothing on it, i cannot right click, I have to navigate my computer with task manager. If anyone has any insight on this problem, i would appreciate hearing it.

Welcome!

Have you removed the virus yet?

For your info I have asked the mods to move this thread to the Security forum:

System Security - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/97494-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 85.57%

First Specs Acer Laptop Aspire - Windows Vista Home ---- I m getting the Black screen of death and I did a lot of googling trying to pin down Death Black of Screen what was wrong Let me explain what is happening and what I ve done so far Problem -When the laptop starts it ll load pass the Windows Vista scrolling bar then stops with the black screen and a cursor Tried so far -I am able to get Black Screen of Death into the laptop with all the different types of safe modes -I ve cleaned the system with anti-viruses checked the regedit to make sure the windows nt policy was correct -Turned off and uninstalled all newly installed software -Used chkdsk sfc scannow -Uninstalled and reinstalled display drivers -On the black screen pressing ctrl alt del won t bring up the task menu or the shift five times trick does nothing either -Nothing in the usb ports -No disc in the cd dvd drive I am willing to do a system recovery but I am unable to access the recovery partition on the hard drive -there is no recovery disc it s pre-loaded There is no option to reinstall and there is no option for repair or no option for boot logging I m sure it s a driver somewhere but I have no way to figure out which one Anyone got any ideas Thanks in advance nbsp

Why are you unable to access the recovery partition?

What display drivers are they? Have you ininstalled the display drivers and then rebooted?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-of-death.1021242/
Relevancy 85.57%

Please help i have a Toshiba laptop Satellite series L -S Problem- Once i death screen Black of hit the power button nothing boots only power and charging status lights come on number lock flashs for a second no beeps its just Black screen of death completly dead Trouble shoot- checked battery power drained removed both RAM cards Tried using multiple Boot from CD disk for BIOS i reset the battery CMOS on the laptop to no avail after taking it apart to the motherboard and resaldering the battery hoping it would reset it still does the same thing still thinking Im thinking either the graphics card is dead but not so sure since the computer just has no response to anything im doing please any help would be appreciated ill try anything im thinking i might need a new CMOS battery but come advise would be nice before i go buy one i bought a soldering tip and you can see how that didn t help much nbsp

"Problem- Once i hit the power button nothing boots, only power and charging status lights come on, number lock flashs for a second, no beeps,its just completly dead"...

The motherboard is probably bad, and it will have to be replaced

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-of-death.177031/
Relevancy 85.57%

I have a Windows Vista SP -bit with GB RAM and ATi Radeon s CrossFireX Anyways I have a program called System Mechanics you ve all probably heard of it before it s a great program for cleaning up your hard drive and defragging your memory However I ran it last night and told the program Screen of Black Death to automatically restart the computer when it was finished after it finished and restarted Black Screen of Death I was greeted with the atrocious Black Screen of Death with a Cursor though it isn t blinking and I can move it freely however there s nothing I can do with Black Screen of Death it considering the bottom task-bar is nonexistent and the Black Screen of Death entire screen is black I ve tried some of the solutions I can t even do the CTRL ALT DELETE to get into the Task Manager and manually start explorer exe Help me please The only sort of reaction I can get from the system is to get Stick Keys to pop-up when I hit the shift-key five times I am very confused I have no external Hard Drives hooked up to it and there are no thumb-drives connected via USB either I m a thoroughly stumped here Please help me nbsp

Hi and welcome,
Can you at least boot in to Safe Mode as described here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode ? Someone may then be able to try to help you further.

Unfortunately it's too late for now to tell you that reg cleaners/boosters are not well thought of here at TSG, but for the future here's why: http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Registry_Cleaners

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-of-death.1042371/