Windows Support Forum

SSD drive dissappears when I boot up to Windows 7

Q: SSD drive dissappears when I boot up to Windows 7

I m running main HDD in RAID and all is ok there I check in BIOS the SSD is recognised - using the Control I command I can see the SSD is available and status is normal I boot to Windows and it disappears I m running a w PSU and wondering if it s a power issue but why is it not a power issue in DOS It s puzzling as I previously had it working before until I recently reinstalled Windows BTW I did edit my Regedit before this so I could change from IDE to RAID on my main HDD I changed iastorV Start THIS IS WINDOWS RAID HAVE IT ON SINCE MEANS ON pciide to SSD 7 dissappears Windows I when drive boot up THIS IS IDE HAVE IT ON SINCE MEANS OFF Before I did this it would get BSOD when starting Windows having only the BIOS changed to RAID on main HDD Should I have changed the pcide to and instead SSD drive dissappears when I boot up to Windows 7 left it at Anyone have any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: SSD drive dissappears when I boot up to Windows 7

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: SSD drive dissappears when I boot up to Windows 7

This has been sorted - I removed the Kingston SSD and used an OCZ Agility 3 SSD which was instantly recognized. Apparently Sandforce, the controller the Kingston uses has a problem so that's what it was.

This topic can be closed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-drive-dissappears-when-i-boot-up-to-windows-7.197659/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have installed windows 7 three times now.After i have installed all the drivers and software,the gadgets and windows defender stop functioning and their control panel icons dont work.This happens everytime,but it doesnt happen at a particular point,it happens sfter a couple or more restarts.Please help me,as i really like the cpu meter gadget..........

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248088/gadgets-and-windows-defender-dissappears/
Relevancy 48.59%

I am new and bad at computers please take that into consideration I installed a new SSD and then mirrored my old HDD onto the SSD I then made the is Boot New Drive. Help Boot Drive Running Windows. Confirming SSD my Boot Drive in Disk Management I am a little unclear about the ramifications First does making the SSD my Boot Drive mean that my SSD is running Windows If not how can I confirm which drive is running Windows If it is not the SSD how do I make it be the SSD Second once I New Boot Drive. Help Confirming Boot Drive is Running Windows. am sure that it is my SSD running Windows and not my old HDD can I delete all the Windows files from the old HDD I would like to do this Third is there any reason I should swap the names of my drives Right now Drive C is my old HDD and I am booting from drive D my SSD I would prefer if new programs defaulted to being installed on my HDD but does this make Windows updates or anything else important awkward Fourth I notice that when I run computer games off my SSD now that none of my personal settings are retained - whereas if I run New Boot Drive. Help Confirming Boot Drive is Running Windows. them off the HDD my personal settings are as they were before the mirror Could someone explain this to me If the SSD is a mirror of the HDD then shouldn't personal settings in applications also New Boot Drive. Help Confirming Boot Drive is Running Windows. be mirrored Here is a screen shot of my Disk Management Drive C is my old HDD Drive D is my new SSD Drive E is storage Thank you EDIT In connection with the first question if I right click a folder on my desktop Properties reveals the Location of that folder to be the desktop of my C drive Conclusive evidence I am not running Windows from my new SSD on drive D

A:New Boot Drive. Help Confirming Boot Drive is Running Windows.

D is booting Win7 as shown by the Boot label. The problem is that Win7 is designed to always be C if it is correctly installed from boot and not run from another OS, or if you select Auto when choosing drive letter for cloning or imaging. So you've stuck yourself with the letter D for Win7 if that's okay with you. You can clone it again and designate Auto so it correctly boots as C if you want.

The correct way to delete an OS is to delete or format its partition after moving any files off of it you want to save. In this case I would delete both the System Reserved and C partition after moving the data to a new data partition you shrink C to make. Later resize back into the deleted partition space using Partition Wizard Move/Resize Partition Video Help.

You should install Programs to the SSD to get best performance, leave the paging file on the SSD as well although if space gets tight you can set it to 2gb in size if it's taking more. You can copy your User folders to a new data partition on the HD and rightclick each to link to the related Win7 Library - Include a Folder - Windows 7 Forums which is the best way to access your data on the HDD.

I don't know why your settings aren't carried over, but settings are a corruption path into a new install anyway. In fact if you wanted the best possible install for a new SSD to take maximum advantage of its speed you should do a Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 which steps are the same for retail.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/267889-new-boot-drive-help-confirming-boot-drive-running-windows.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Recently my laptop loses it's LAN network configuration in windows after I bring it out of standby. In Command Prompt, when I enter IPconfig it comes up with just "Windows Network Configuration" or something similar. It doesn't bring up the IP or any other values. I've also changed the power management for the network card in device manager. This still hasn't fixed the problem, So far the only way for me to regain back network connectivity is to restart 4-7times. I'm not sure what I need to do to resolve this.

A:LAN dissappears after standby

I'd start by downloading the latest drivers from the laptop manufacturer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lan-dissappears-after-standby.771219/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello all I have been having this problem for about 2 weeks everytime I restart my computer or turn it off my video card gets uninstalled the drivers just disappear i have a Nvidia Geforce fx 5600 ultra its a AGP card i have the latest drivers i can install them sometimes then when i get to the end where it says i have to restart i click no ill do it later then it works but if i restart they go away i really need help with this ive done everything i can think of from spyware/virus scans to updating bios and swapping out video cards and its not my video card because it works on other systems HELP

A:Video Card Dissappears!

What are the specs of your system? Please include your power supply (make/model, wattage)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/video-card-dissappears-101713.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello all I have been having this problem for about 2 weeks everytime I restart my computer or turn it off my video card gets uninstalled the drivers just disappear i have a Nvidia Geforce fx 5600 ultra its a AGP card i have the latest drivers i can install them sometimes then when i get to the end where it says i have to restart i click no ill do it later then it works but if i restart they go away i really need help with this ive done everything i can think of from spyware/virus scans to updating bios and swapping out video cards and its not my video card because it works on other systems HELP

Relevancy 47.3%

Hi
My AVG will not activate. When I click on it, it opens then disappears. I tried to un-install it but will not respond. I have tried to go into msconfig through start, run, but the window appears then disappears. I cannot run any of my anti-virus programmes.
Please help. I have XP home (HP)
Cheers

Relevancy 47.3%

When I am on line and running WMP9, if I click a radio station or any streaming media the WMP dissappears. No error messages. Just closes down. It works ok in every other respect. I am running windows XP 2.3GHz, 1Meg Ram.
All advice will be appreciated

Relevancy 47.3%

Hi,

everytime I buy internet bundles. They get gobbled up extremely quickly, before I can hardly use them.
is this perhaps a malware/spyware of some sort that somebody may have hacked into the computer and takes the internet bundles.
or would it be something else.

iif anyone can help me please

A:Internet data dissappears.

They get gobbled upClick to expand...

Please explain what your mean by the above. Does the downloaded program disappear from your downloads folder ? Or do you mean when you install the program, it doesn't work?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-data-dissappears.1127201/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a shared folder in my local machine. It's about 30 GB in size. Recently the share vanishes and it's not showing the hand sign even in admin login.
After restarting the PC, it appears again..
The machine is also on a domain..

Please advice.

A:Folder share dissappears

Hello and Welcome to TSF,

Go to my computer
right click on the local disk
go to Sharing tab

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/folder-share-dissappears-377980.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Maybe you guys can help me with this. I have an employee that has an annoying little problem. Whenever he types in any application, be it an Office application or notpad, the mouse cursor dissapears. Once you move the mouse it reappears exactly where it was and moves normally but when you type again it dissapears. Technically it goes invisible until it is moved. It not hindering anything but it is annoying.

Anybody have a clue?

A:Mouse Cursor Dissappears When Typing

start > control panel.

if you have a white background with icons, double click on Mouse.

if you have a blue background with links, click on Classic View on the left hand side and then double click on Mouse.

In Mouse, go to the Pointer Options tab and uncheck "Hide Pointer While Typing".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/mouse-cursor-dissappears-when-typing-395228.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I figure that viewing flash content is not essential, but wonder why I can view flash on Adobe (Macromedia) and Mercora client, but not on regular sites. I am disappointed not to be able to view E-cards (for example).

Rich100

A:Flash Content In Ie6 Dissappears On Most Web Pages

Is this matter solved?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/75138/flash-content-in-ie6-dissappears-on-most-web-pages/
Relevancy 46.87%

Following Only happens When I receive text messages from my brother. Tap on his message to open it up> opens for like 1 second> then a white stripe comes over my phone> starting at top of screen then rolls down to the bottom>then message dissappears.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/443164-text-message-dissappears-1-contact.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello Tech Guys,

This is my first posting and I hope someone can help me.

I am trying to see what is in my SVCHOST.exe processes. I have tried to follow the instructions from Microsoft and RUN the TLIST -S command. However, the screen disappears before I can read it?

How can I freeze the screen before it disappears or is there another way to see inside the SVCHOST processes?

I am using WIN2K SP4. Any help is much appreciated Thank you

Relevancy 46.87%

Hello,

I have Word 2003 and have set up a form that has a few drop down menus. I am coming accross an issue when trying to Send a Copy via email. The drop down menu's show up fine in the form and fine when printed but when emailed they leave a blank space in that field.

Is there anyway to fix this? I have searched all over the net and cant seem to find anything.

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drop-down-form-dissappears-when-emailed.703312/
Relevancy 46.87%

When I go in to Windows app store and click on categories and choose social, apps start to appear, but then suddenly dissappears. So I have no apps available in the social category.
How do I fix this?

Thanks

Christian

A:App store category items dissappears

I found out that I had some wrong settings in the app store. So I solved it my self!

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/48421-app-store-category-items-dissappears.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I have just finished a pc build with a SSD to be used as the boot OS drive and a secondary HDD sec. Windows paths swapped my 7 my boot with drive has and drive drive setup in raid for storage First I started with the SSD only and installed win applied all the updates etc At this point the system has rebooted at least half a dozen times with no issue Next I set up the HDD in raid initialized it with disk manager and everything is looking good But as soon as I reboot the system upon startup the system can't find a os Using the windows install disc I go into the Windows 7 has swapped my drive paths with my boot drive and sec. drive recovery console and discover that the boot drive which was C is now E and the storage drive which was E is now C The os files on the boot drive seem to be all there It's just in the wrong drive path Using the recovery console I switched back the drives to their proper places but then on startup I got the Windows 7 has swapped my drive paths with my boot drive and sec. drive error 'bootmgr is missing' at this point I gave up nuked the drives and started from scratch only to get thing again once I initialized the HDD and rebooted I am sure I have overlooked some stupid detail somewhere Can anyone help me figure out where I went wrong

A:Windows 7 has swapped my drive paths with my boot drive and sec. drive

My first thought with a new build is settings in the BIOS, many times something has to be changed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/352306-windows-7-has-swapped-my-drive-paths-my-boot-drive-sec-drive.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a Windows 7 install on a 60gb SSD (assigned to C: in Windows), and a 3 other drives just for storage, and programs. Windows will only boot if the SSD is the only one plugged in. BCD lists this as my only entry, and is calling the C: drive to boot.
However when I load my Windows cd, this drive is assigned to E: when all my other drives are plugged in. I'm not sure why its doing this, but could this be the problem and is there a way to fix it?
Thanks

A:Windows 7 Will Only Boot if Boot Drive is the only Drive Plugged In

We need to see a screenshot of your Disk Managment. Click on the Windows button in the lower left of your screen and type on the space above the button "Disk Management" without the quotes and hit enter. The Disk Management will pop up. Expand the columns so we can read all of the print. Use your Snipping Tool to post a screenshot of the Disk Management as described in this tutorial Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/259249-windows-7-will-only-boot-if-boot-drive-only-drive-plugged.html
Relevancy 46.44%

hey guys:

hope someone can help me out:

Specs:
Vista Home Premium
Pentimu D 2.8Ghz
2.0GB Ram
160GB HDD

Adapter Type:
Intel® G965 Express Chipset Family

Adapter Information:

Chip Type: Intel® GMA X3000
DAC Type: Internal
Adapter String: Intel® G965 Express Chipset Family
BIOS Inforation: Intel Video BIOS
Total Available Graphics Memory: 358mb
Dedicated Video Memory: 0mb
System Video Memory: 128mb
Shared System Memory: 230mb

I'm using visyal effects for best performannce (Windows Classic View - no transparency)...

So hope someone can help.

A:Mouse Pointer Issue: Flickers And Dissappears

i better tell you the problem.....

This seems only to be program that use the internet like INternet Explorer, MSN etc.....

the mouse pointer flickers when its moved slowly, when you move it fast its ok...bu when you put the pointer into a text box it dissappears maing it hard to know where your mouse pointer is ......

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108189/mouse-pointer-issue-flickers-and-dissappears/
Relevancy 46.44%

i m suffering from the problem
every time I restart my lappie
I have to change my default gateway IP in my Network and sharing settings.

It is vry irritating windows saves everthing but not my default gateway IP
please help me....

i had dell studio 1558 with windows 7 home premium 64bit

A:gateway dissappears everytime i restart my system....

Please post a ipconfig /all from the command prompt.

More then likely you have Auto DHCP turned off and are assigning a static IP to your notebook. If that is the case set the properties of the NIC you are using, Wired or Wireless to Auto configuration.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/259693-gateway-dissappears-everytime-i-restart-my-system.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Okay, now periodically I'll get an email, (usually from my wife at work), and when it is in the inbox, I can see the beginning of the text message contained in the email, but if I open the email, there is no text visible. If I try and forwartd it or reply there is still no text present. If I leave it in the inbox and click on edit and click on marked unread, the text is back unless I open the email. I'm using Win 7 and Outlook 2007. About 8 years ago there was a problem like this and to cure it, we were told to replace the mllang.dll and the text was back, but that was windows 98 and Office 2000. Any suggestions???

Additionally, my wife just told me that the hospital where she works uses Lotus notes for an email program, (in case that makes a difference).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/text-dissappears-from-outlook-email-when-opened.969931/
Relevancy 46.01%

Dell inspiron 2 years old. My daughters Computer ran fine before this. Will not boot in safe mode. or last known good configuration. Ran Dell diagnostic, HD short test failed. Tried booting F12 CD/DVD from Vista CD, optical drive makes noise but screen returns to failed boot. Tried other boot disc same thing, noise like its being read, but nothing on screen. Optical drive worked fine before this episode.

A:Dell will not boot into Windows, optical drive makes noise will not boot from CD

Are you saying you believe the optical drive and hard disk have failed, or you think the optical drive has failed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-will-not-boot-into-windows-optical-drive-makes-noise-will-not-boot-from-cd.159202/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have a HP Pavilion m n It came past boot screen Now Windows not will MS Letter, XP Drive Changed Boot with Vista but Changed Boot Drive Letter, Now will not boot past MS Windows XP screen I formatted and put on XP I was having a lot of problems a few years after switching due to viruses and what not so I had a friend attach my HD to his computer to completely format it We put it back into my comp put XP back on it and installed drivers A couple months later I went to HP to get a driver for the media part of the comp When I tried to install it it said that I had to free up memory on my C Drive When we put the drive back into my comp and reinstalled everything my HD set up a H not C I went looking on how to change my drive letter back to C and followed these instructions http support microsoft com kb I followed them exactly When I rebooted it came up to a screen that looks like the user choice screen with no users I can not click anything and my keyboard only beeps at me I cannot boot into safe mode and I tried clearing the boot proticals by moving the jumper Any ideas on how to correct with out reformatting again Thank you You can also reach me on IM MSN lt Email removed gt nbsp

A:Changed Boot Drive Letter, Now will not boot past MS Windows XP screen

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changed-boot-drive-letter-now-will-not-boot-past-ms-windows-xp-screen.892929/
Relevancy 46.01%

I?ve got a strange one on my hands here. I can not boot into windows 7 without having my windows 7 install disk in the drive at boot up and wait past the hit any botton to boot off of cd. If I try to boot without the disk in the drive I get the boot manager is missing error.
Also I can get windows 7 to recognize one of my SATA drives.
I have a pair of drives in raid 0
A 160 gig drive windows can see
A 250 gig drive that windows can?t see
My mobo is a Abit   ix38 quadgt

Thanks,

A:Boot manager is missing, will not boot without the windows 7 install disk in the drive

sprogis, If Windows isn't able to repair the problem on its own, you might try EasyBCD .-Alex

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/28927430-0f58-4772-8cc1-87d7f33221be/boot-manager-is-missing-will-not-boot-without-the-windows-7-install-disk-in-the-drive?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 45.58%

How do I fix this, Ive right clicked on the taskbar, and checked to see the quick launch, but when i reboot it doesnt show up anymore and I have to recheck it.

And when I have many IE pages open, instead of showing them individually on the taskbar, it has it all compiled into 1 and when I click on that, it then brings up a mini menu of all the pages I can go back to.

And how do I re-sort the start menu alphabetically.

Relevancy 45.58%

Ok so last night I stupidly changed the drive letter on my Windows XP partition from F to C with Partition Magic in attempt to get a program to install needed for my music class the program automatically installs to C w o prompting for a install location I didn't realize my Window's install referenced the the drive name not just the partition itself So now when windows try to boot it gets the point where it logs into the administrator account but it will not log in fully then it will log out won't changed, Boot letter advice. windows boot. drive Need then tries to log in then Boot drive letter changed, windows won't boot. Need advice. logs out logs in logs out etc and never breaks out of the loop I tried to change the drive letter back but the boot disc of Partition Magic would not allow me to do so I ended up having to reinstall a second instance of Windows temporarilly Does anyone know of a way to modify the registry on the previous install to boot under the drive letter C while under this temporary install of windows I really dont want to go thru the trouble of reinstalling all my apps drivers etc on this new install if I can get the original install of windows to boot

A:Boot drive letter changed, windows won't boot. Need advice.

did you try safe mode or last known working settings? take it you did not create the undo floppy disks to use with partition magic/
If your able to get into safe mode you might can restore the pc to an earlier date.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-drive-letter-changed-windows-wont-boot-need-advice-120938.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I'm perplexed and frustrated I have a legacy bit dual core desktop ASUS mobo I have several Sata hard drives in it with the th partition of my Terabyte drive containing my Windows Professional boot OS After converting another similar legacy machine to a NAS device I took the old Windows bit OS drive from it and tried booting the ASUS machine with it Needless to say Boot my on Boot Windows Master Can't Record drive re-establish 10 the OS didn't like it and Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive reverted to Windows Pro Insider Preview edition build Here's the kicker When I tried to restore the boot drive to the original one for this machine the master boot was missing I had just formatted another partition on the same drive that had contained a Windows installation that had failed This partition may have contained the master boot record So I booted to a command prompt from a USB drive and successfully ran the following commands bootrec RebuildBcdbootrec fixMbr bootrec fixboot bootsect nt SYSbootsect nt all After that the BIOS just says quot An operating system wasn't found Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system quot This disk and OS are on the original machine it used to run on As Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive I understand it Windows tries to record it's key to somewhere in the BIOS But the BIOS on these old machines don't provide such a facility Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive I don't understand what Windows OS does with the key in this instance If it was recorded in the BIOS then I'd presume that the other Windows drive I attempted to use would have found it and used it Or perhaps not since it didn't like the new environment So what I'm looking for is a way to get my original Windows to boot again on the same machine it had always work on before from the th partition of the terabyte drive I'm using Any help is appreciated

A:Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive

It's pretty quiet here. It seems no one has read my plea for help. I guess I just have to wait for my bottle to wash-up on some distant shore.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/34469-cant-re-establish-master-boot-record-my-windows-10-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc Dissappears Active Slow, Desktop Randomly Computer Runs exeC Program Files Common Computer Randomly Runs Slow, Active Desktop Dissappears Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exeC Program Computer Randomly Runs Slow, Active Desktop Dissappears Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exeC Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exeC Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton Ghost Agent PQV iSvc exeC Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exeC PROGRA NORTON NORTON NPROTECT EXEC PROGRA NORTON NORTON SPEEDD NOPDB EXEC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC WINDOWS htpatch exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC WINDOWS system rundll exeC Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exeC WINDOWS system hphmon exeC WINDOWS system HPZipm exeC WINDOWS System svchost exec program files common files aol ee services antiSpywareApp ver AOLSP Scheduler exec program files common files aol ee aolsoftware exeC Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXEC WINDOWS system wscntfy exeC Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXEC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC Documents and Settings Melanie Desktop HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www optonline net HomeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - F F - C F-E E - F -B E B A B - no file O - BHO no name - F EA - E- BE - A - B C CBA CC - no file O - BHO no name - A FC - CA - -DEAE- B EAB DECB - C WINDOWS system dgmhmr dll file missing O - BHO no name - C - B C- F-EA - FBAA AC - no file O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO no name - D D D- E- A- - AF C C - C WINDOWS system aosoar dll file missing O - BHO no name - AA FCD F- AF- D - E F- C - no file O - BHO no name - BA F BB-CA A- FA- EEB-C EF D - no file O - BHO CNavExtBho Class - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - BHO no name - BF -C -C -B - BCF B F - no file O - BHO FlashFXP Helper for Internet Explorer - E A B-D - -AD - B EE - C PROGRA FlashFXP IEFlash dllO - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - HKLM Run HTpatch C WINDOWS htpatch exeO - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe ConsumerO - HKLM Run KernelFaultCheck systemroot system dumprep -kO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeO - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exeO - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run Blu... Read more

A:Computer Randomly Runs Slow, Active Desktop Dissappears

Please download and run http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe It will install hijackthis in C:\Program Files\Hijackthis After installation, go into that folder and run hijackthis, do a new scan, save the log, and then post the new log here.I need to see another type of log please. Go here and download Silent Runners.vbs to a new folder on your Desktop (Clicking the the download link works if you use IE. If you use FireFox, rightclick on the link and choose "Save Link As") and run it. It generates a log too. It takes a minute or two and it will notify you with a popup when your log is ready (make sure you wait for the popups please) Please post the information back in this thread too (you may need to make a couple of posts). If your antivirus program queries the script, allow it to run. It's not malicious.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/84760/computer-randomly-runs-slow-active-desktop-dissappears/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello my name is Tracy and a friend recommended this website to me He suggested combo fix I see though that I shouldn t use it without assistance Here is my story I was googling some information actually I was having trouble remembering how to figure percentage decreases so I was looking for formulas Suddenly after I connected to a specific site unfortunately I do not DNS Links server working and dissappears Google not address Internet remember what is was there was a noise and changes on my screen It is a little blurry now as it happened yesterday so I might mix up a couple of things I will do my best to give you as much information as possile First I had Computer Associates Internet Security Suite which was upgraded not operating however needed to be uninstalled So I finally got that uninstalled so that I could reinstall However it still would not reinstall So then I pulled out Norton Version We my husband and I had a alot of trouble getting that to install as well Finally it did it ran it fixed a couple of things do not remember what they were Then we still could not access the internet We finally realized that it was the DNS server address that was missing We corrected that and we were back on the Internet Yay No now my Google searches although they give me results when I click on a link they take me somewhere else We also ran Microsft One Care safety scanner a couple of times The last time is said it found a serious problem Google Links not working and Internet DNS server address dissappears however it could not fix it Norton is not finding it Google Links not working and Internet DNS server address dissappears Can I cry help now This is a business computer and I am starting Google Links not working and Internet DNS server address dissappears to fall behind someone please help me

A:Google Links not working and Internet DNS server address dissappears

Hi Tracy,I think your computer is infected by malware. To get treatment, just follow the steps on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html (Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help) A professional expert will view your logs an will help you with that problem.Do not run ComboFix without a Malware Expert.Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/344670/google-links-not-working-and-internet-dns-server-address-dissappears/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi, I installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive (WD 500GB c) to create a dual boot with Vista (OS d). This has been working great and I have fully transferred over to Windows 7.

Now I want to remove the Vista drive (OS d) and format it to use for data only or in future purchase a larger capacity hd for data. I think my MBR is on the Vista drive so how can I do this safely and easily?

I have attached a screenshot from disc manager.

A:Removing Vista drive from a dual boot with Windows 7 on seperate drive

Unplug Disk 0 , and then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times . It will add the Windows 7 boot files in the WD 500 GB disk 1.

(But if you want to make the boot files in a separate partition (which is a usual situation with a clean install), you may see System Reserved : Create Using Disk Management .)

Now you are able to Boot up windows 7 directly .... so you may easily format the Vista disk, if you want, either using the option three of the tutorial Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD , or Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command or SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation .

Hope it helps .

EDIT : If you dont want to format the vista drive, you will need to delete the windows 7 boot entry from it . Download and install EasyBCD , Click on the "Edit Boot Menu" button and Click on delete , and save .
Now , you can use the either OS using the boot menu key of your computer, selecting which disk is to boo up during start up the computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/172360-removing-vista-drive-dual-boot-windows-7-seperate-drive.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I am trying to reinstall windows on my desktop and did a reset from the system in windows which worked it got rid of the virus nbsp But to make sure wipe and Boot help get Need on Windows as Reinstall CD 8 to desktop, Drive Clean drive of everything is really gone what I really want to do is clean the hard drive by doing a complete wipe and reinstall and new copy of windows that I have which contains a product key I have nbsp Back in I bought the computer and windows failed it kept saying it needed to be activated we tried to nbsp enter the product key didn't work after several months of issues with our retailer and Computer manufacturer found out it had to be reinstalled remotely by Microsoft nbsp Clean wipe and Reinstall of Windows 8 on desktop, Need help to get CD drive as Boot Drive so as nbsp of now I have Windows on my desktop but do not have a product key nbsp So I purchased a copy of Windows with a product key but can't install it The problem is my computer does not boot first from the CD drive then the nbsp hard drive nbsp I can't find where to change this I tried to go to the BIOS to change it but there is no prompt to select the CD drive nbsp if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate any help I can get nbsp I have a nbsp screen shot nbsp of the BIOS but it is too large to post

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e8a3c32d-3350-446b-9189-5806ad556cb5/clean-wipe-and-reinstall-of-windows-8-on-desktop-need-help-to-get-cd-drive-as-boot-drive?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi I installed Windows in UEFI mode to an SDD and I figured it would be easy to take my Boot Manager Windows drive won't boot the correct old drive which also had Windows installed hook it up to a SATA port and copy over the files that I wanted In my BIOS interface I can select the Windows Boot Manager won't boot the correct drive SSD drive to boot from or quot Windows Boot Manager quot Only selecting the later boots allows me to boot from the SSD and only if the old drive is not hooked up When I hook up my old drive which had Windows installed WITHOUT UEFI selecting quot Windows Boot Manager quot will cause my system to try and fail to boot from my old drive Does anyone know how to fix this problem Why is Windows Boot Manager choosing to try and boot from my old drive Windows Boot Manager I believe resides on the SSD since that was the only drive connected during my new Windows install so why the heck wouldn't it default to booting the Windows installation on that drive I've tried moving the old drive to different SATA ports and to a secondary SATA controller but it makes no difference Windows Boot Manager always insists on trying to boot from it If I hadn't used UEFI I could have just told the bios what drive to boot from But thanks to this new and quot improved quot standard I can't exercise this simplest of controls Any ideas My mobo is a Gigabyte G Assassin btw Thanks in advance

A:Windows Boot Manager won't boot the correct drive

How to Migrate to a Solid-State Drive Without Reinstalling Windows

see if you missed anything.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/243994-windows-boot-manager-wont-boot-correct-drive.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,

Have a new computer with freshly installed W7 on a SSD drive. The computer boots properly unless external HD are connected. If I have external HDs connected (USB 3) it fails to find windows. I've been into the BIOS and there Windows Boot Manager is set as first choice and I have disabled booting from external drives.

Why is WBM unable to find the installation on the SSD? Can I manually change the settings in WBM to select the SSD?

Going nuts on this so any suggestion is appreciated.

Christoffer

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/380757-windows-boot-manager-does-not-find-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello I'm Henry I'm fairly new to Windows though I have lots of to in borked boot -will drive with SSD windows record normally boot CD experience with Windows XP I forced myself to upgrade before the April th deadline though I knew SSD boot record borked -will boot to windows normally with CD in drive I would loathe the experience This build is about three weeks old I put in a Sandisk X GB SSD and I have a WD GB drive I also had my XP build on a GB WD drive When Win installed it setup a dual boot with the old XP installation In typical MS fashion it gave me no options of where to store the boot information I installed Win to the SSD and am using the HDD as a location for everything not system related A week and a half ago I removed the dual boot setup as it was no longer needed but had to go through the setup to fix the SSD boot record borked -will boot to windows normally with CD in drive boot record etc Seemed to have worked fine except the installation now shows the installation as quot Windows recovered quot It WAS working without issue None at all Then this morning for some unknown reason the system decided that my router was an quot unknown network quot I have two routers one is connected to the cable modem downstairs the other is set to pass through All of this was working normally until it stopped this SSD boot record borked -will boot to windows normally with CD in drive morning Cannot use wireless due to interference in old building w steel beams aluminum electrical wire and foil air duct I reset everything including the computer That's when the real problem began the system now hangs at the quot verifying DMI pool quot and shows a series of dots as it is doing so It stops before noting success and hangs It does this unless I put in a bootable CD or use the F key to select the boot device I fixed the extremely annoying networking issue with the reset but the boot problem remains I went through the Windows repair option Let it do it's thing Tried the quot bootrec fixmbr quot which reported success but quot bootrec scanos quot says there are quot quot OS found Likewise quot bootrec rebuildbcd quot also completes with quot quot OS repaired Neither fixmbr nor rebuildbcd options fixed the problem though they both reported no errors and instead success The GUI option to fix whatever is making windows not boot also reported quot quot OS were fixed though my installation shows up in the box except for the aforementioned quot recovered quot part appended onto it The only way to boot is through the aforementioned F or bootable CD The BIOS on this mainboard doesn't have an explicit option to set the SATA ports to AHCI Setting SATA ports to Advanced seems to be the option per several online threads about the G M-ES L to make it work right and that is what I set it to prior to installing windows No changes to these settings have been made thought since I installed windows I checked that they are unchanged So after all of the above how do I make it go back to working I looked in Disk Manager under Windows and YES the SSD is Active and shows as the quot Boot Active Crash Dump Primary quot The HDD shows as quot System Active Primary quot I'm not sure why it made the HDD active when I formatted it since I don't remember doing that part But I suspect if it wasn't I think I might not be booting at all Through all of this the computer works just fine once I get into windows I'm using the system to type this and there are no issues whatsoever So the only way I can boot normally is with either the CD in the drive or by using F and selected the HDD It's obviously a borked MBR but how do I make it fix it if bootrec is not showing the installation Is there a way to force it to detect the installation One other thing of note we had a power brownout during a hard thunderstorm two days ago The computer restarted and checked the drives for consistency All tests passed without issue I even ran the test a second time manually to be sure No errors ... Read more

A:SSD boot record borked -will boot to windows normally with CD in drive

Hi Henry -

I thought you deleted XP so am not sure why the System flag is still on the hard drive. It signifies the partition which is booting Win7, but also needs to be marked Active to successfully do so.

To repair this, unplug the HD and run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times which will attempt to repair and then write the System boot files to Win7 partition since they were never put there but instead added to XP during installation.

Once Win7 partition starts, is labeled System Active and boots itself, you can plug back in the other HD making sure SSD remains set first drive to boot in BIOS, mark the HD partition Inactive which should keep it from interfering although the best way to do this is move the data off and delete the old System partition. Partition - Mark as Inactive - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/328735-ssd-boot-record-borked-will-boot-windows-normally-cd-drive.html
Relevancy 45.15%

OK--here's the situation. I am trying to copy and old drive onto a new computer--the new one has two SATA drives with one having the OS. I want to copy the person's old main drive (a PATA) to the new computer but no matter where I put it--the BIOS wants to recognize it as the master drive. I have tried it as a slave. I think the problem is the PATA IDE controllers are checked first and of course as soon as the drive is recognized, it wants to boot from it.

Relevancy 44.72%

Hello I have been having major problems with my dell inspiron for about a month now First it started with Fraud Antivirus and antispyware prog popping up out of nowhere as if i installed them myself I used Malwarebytes spyware doctor spybot ad-aware and spyhunter to rid of some of OR IRQL n LESS afterwards black, Wallpaper OR blue screen Dissappears EQUA NOT turns these problems that keep popping up I come to you now with a hijack log and asking PLEASE OH PLEASE help me clear my beautiful machine of all these malware viruses and spyware prog off my system I keep my cpu clear of uneccesary clutter and it has been going on strong for years now without problems until now For the most part the viruses malware spyware Wallpaper Dissappears n turns black, afterwards blue screen IRQL NOT OR LESS OR EQUA keep coming back after clearing them out with the programs that ive used And these programs are recommended my other sites to clear out these problems So to the point of all this I need to kno how to prevent these occurances from happening Remove whatever is making my wallpaper turn on and then suddenly turn to a black wallpaper And to permeneantly stop the blue screen from popping up because i know its not a hardware malfunction because i ran a diagnostics and all my memory and drivers are updated and fine Here is my Hijack file Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ZcfgSvc exe C WINDOWS Explorer exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin XConfig exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield Shared Service InstallShield Licensing Service exe c program files mcafee com agent mcdetect exe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mctskshd exe C Program Files Microsoft LifeCam MSCamS exe C Program Files Dell NICCONFIGSVC NICCONFIGSVC exe C WINDOWS system oodag exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsAuxs exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsSvc exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsTray exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS ehome mcrdsvc exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe C PROGRA McAfee SPAMKI MskAgent exe C PROGRA mcafee com mps mscifapp exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C WINDOWS vVX exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync wcescomm exe C Program Files PeerGuardian pg exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C PROGRA MICROS rapimgr exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dell me com myway R - HKCU Software Microsoft ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wallpaper-dissappears-n-turns-black-afterwards-blue-screen-irql-not-or-less-or-equa.789356/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hey everyone i'm brand new to these forums All the help I can get will be Disk When CD Boot Not NOT is the Will in Boot the Windows Drive! 7 greatly appreciated I use Win Pro Bit So months ago I installed windows pro with no problems at all Fast forward to today I decided to reformat because the boot would get stuck in the middle of trying to boot into windows it wouldn't flash the windows logo I didn't think much of Windows 7 Will Not Boot When the Boot Disk is NOT in the CD Drive! it so I just reformatted This is where Windows 7 Will Not Boot When the Boot Disk is NOT in the CD Drive! my real troubles Windows 7 Will Not Boot When the Boot Disk is NOT in the CD Drive! began So I reinstall windows pro with no problems the boot disk is in there the cd drive the entire time I install my programs and what not and install my updates All Fine Then I take out the boot disk and restart again and I get this error message saying Nvidia Boot Agent Copyright - Nvidia Corp Copyright - Intel Corp Client Mac Address B BC F GUID -FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF DCHP Then I press escape then it says this PXE-EA Network Boot Canceled PXE-M F Exiting Nvidia Boot Agent DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER So the first time I got this error I just thought Oh something must have happened no big deal so I reformatted again and again But I kept on getting the same exact error It'll load into windows just fine when my install disc is in the cd drive but when I take it out that error pops up My windows is authentic each time I have been able to validate my copy I have tried installing from my hard drive and from the install disc with same error This is my current set up Shuttle XPC SN P Barebone Comes with motherboard PSU and case AMD Athlon X GHz W PNY XLR GTS OCZ Reaper Memory GB PC- DDR - WD GB Raptor WD GB Internal WD TB Internal WD TB External WD GB External Cavalry TB External Shuttle Watt PSU Logitech G MX FuncPad Blk on Blk Sony Optirac x DVD- RW drive Dual Samsung SyncMaster BW quot LCD Wide Screen Monitors So how can I get windows to boot up with out having the boot disk in the cd drive It worked the very first time I installed windows on my PC what changed to make this happen and how do I fix

A:Windows 7 Will Not Boot When the Boot Disk is NOT in the CD Drive!

Welcome to the Seven Forums! DoubleAKing Try not to hit the post new thread button too hard since you made a duplicate thread.

The part referring to "PXE-EA0: Network Boot Canceled" suggests one of two things upon seeing that. 1)You configured some remote access by network or 2) the wake up by Lan option in the bios may be enabled. Since the drive was reformatted you can rule out the first item right away for still seeing the same after a clean install.

With some bioses the option for creating a backup of the bios to be stored on the main drive is present where the reformat would have removed that but not answered the original problem unless deleted from drive. You may want to look in the board's manual in the section on the bios setup to what options are present as well as looking how the boot order is configured.

From there the startup repair tool can help the mbr and boot sector information.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/99474-windows-7-will-not-boot-when-boot-disk-not-cd-drive.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Here is my scenario,

I have Old HDD Drive with windows 7 Home Premium (now installed on optibay). Then I installed fresh OS on my new Intel 520 SDD in the main HardDrive Bay. When computer restarts it starts Win7 from old drive. Everytime I need to do is press F9 and select "Notebook Harddrive". I want to start with Win7 on my new SDD. I tried to change the boot priority to Notebook Harddrive but it doesn't help.

I guess it'll be solved once I format old drive. But ATM I dont want to do it.
I am using HP dv6t-1300 CTO laptop.

A:How to set Windows 7 on SSD drive as default boot drive

What are the choices in BIOS setup under Boot order?

When you change the BIOS boot order to boot the SSD, are you saving the change before exiting?

Please post up a screenshot of your maximized Disk Mgmt drive map and listings, using the SNipping Tool in Start Menu. Attach file using paper clip in reply box.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/234927-how-set-windows-7-ssd-drive-default-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi I am having serious problems with my desktop computer The problem started when the computer all of a sudden out of new hard old Windows drive drive won't SSD boot with AND nowhere restarted one day while I was using it From then on it would only log on to a temporary profile After googling I concluded that it was a corrupt profile issue and I backed up all my files But soon after doing this the computer shut off again and would not reboot at all I was using Windows So I decided to get a new SSD hard drive I installed it into the desktop today and installed a Windows Vista I couldn't find my Windows CD After this I tried to upgrade to Windows I purchased a downloadable exe from online However when the computer would restart during the installation process it always ended saying that the installation was unsuccessful Windows won't boot with old hard drive AND new SSD drive I did all the updates on Vista and got SP but Windows would not install During my last attempt the computer ended up giving me another Blue Screen and now Windows won't boot I am so incredibly frustrated because I got a new hard drive and a new clean installation of Windows Vista Does this mean there is something wrong with my motherboard I do not know much about computers and am clueless where to even begin tracking down the root issue I am so overwhelmed Please help with advice Thank you so much

A:Windows won't boot with old hard drive AND new SSD drive

First, make sure that your system is compatible with Windows 8 -- many Vista computers, and even some Win 7 computers are not.

Windows 8 system requirements - Microsoft Windows

If your system us compatible, rather than trying to upgrade to Win 8 from a Vista install, you may be able to just do a clean install of the Win 8 upgrade. I did this and it activated just fine, having already proven to MS that I had a legitimate copy of Win 7 and was eligible for the upgrade.

How To Clean Install Windows 8 (Part 1 of 2)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/windows-wont-boot-with-old-hard-drive-and-new-ssd-drive-706617.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Recently bought a tb storage drive and I'm using all sata ports on my mainboard I've got a gb raptor that's got windows xp dual boot with my main os windows though windows is on another drive I want to remove the Configuring drive 7 windows drive?? boot to dual boot as I don't need windows xp anymore do I the thing is the raptor is my first boot device that gives me the option to boot into windows or xp and if Configuring boot drive to windows 7 drive?? I select the windows as my first device it just comes up with the error can't find boot device so there must be a config file on the raptor gb that I need to move to allow me to boot from the windows drive and remove the raptor to use my new drive Any advice on how I can do this as any software that I could use Thanks for any help advice This is my drive setup in disk manager u can see the windows xp drive g says system drive

A:Configuring boot drive to windows 7 drive??

Your screenshot is nearly unreadable for some reason.

You need to remove the Active flag from all drives, convert Win7 from Logical to Primary so you can set it Active to recover the System MBR into it.

The tool to use is free Partition Wizard bootable CD: Boot PW, select 1 for screen res, rightclick on each partition currently marked Active and Modify>Set to Inactive, OK.

Then rightclick on Win7 partition to Modify>Convert to Primary, OK, then Modify>Set to Active, OK. Apply all steps.

Now enter BIOS setup to set WIn7 HD as first HD to boot (after DVD drive).

Finally boot the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD, click through to Recovery Tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots until Win7 starts up. Startup Repair
System Repair Disc - Create

Keep XP as a data drive until you are sure you have all data off of it, then format it Logical for data using PW CD. I say this because Logical drives cannot be marked Active to confuse the Win7 Repair utility.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95907-configuring-boot-drive-windows-7-drive.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello I did a clean Windows pro bit install with a usb drive and media create tool a few weeks ago on a new SSD just for windows I still had my windows SSD still hooked is first Windows windows unless boot drive 7 boot won't 10 to selected up and set as first bootable drive when I installed windows on the new SSD For some reason now my PC won't load Windows without the windows drive set as the first bootable drive in the bios I don't want to do a dual boot setup and I will be removing the windows drive the PC and formatting it once I fix this problem Things I should note I still have the windows mediacreate install USB drive that Windows 10 won't boot unless windows 7 drive is selected to boot first I used to do the install If I set the windows drive to first bootable drive I get the quot please insert bootable drive media quot bios screen I tried to set the windows drive to active in Disk management When I set the windows drive as first bootable drive I get the quot The Boot Configuration Data file is missing or contains errors quot windows error screen when trying to boot the drive Windows is set as default OS What is the quick and safe way to make the windows drive bootable again My guess is it involves the windows usb drive and CMD Thanks

A:Windows 10 won't boot unless windows 7 drive is selected to boot first

Your bootmgr is on your Win7 SSD. You have to copy it. Try my method but you need to adjust the drive letter because yours is most likely not C:/

Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/41949-windows-10-wont-boot-unless-windows-7-drive-selected-boot-first.html
Relevancy 43%

i would also like to have the option of starting different hard drives. either:the current windows 7 OS on drive C;or the new Windows 10 on drive D.

A:Dual-Boot Windows 10 (drive D) with Windows 7 (drive c)

"new Windows 10 on drive D"Make sure you have C drive disconnected when you install.After making sure both drives worked perfectly on their own, cable both up & then boot the comp.Set the bios to boot from the drive you prefer to be default.Toggle F8 during boot, if you want to select the non default drive.message edited by Johnw

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/dualboot-windows-10-drive-d-with-windows-7-drive-c/383.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi:

My computer hard drive crashed a week ago and most of my back-ups went with the system. So, I got a new 500 GB drive and have been re-installing everything from scratch. I started with a clean install of Windows XP (service pack 2), which took forever to get all the up-dates done. Then I upgraded to Windows 7 and did the up-dates for that. I didn't make a recovery disk at this point because I wanted to get everything installed first.

Unfortunately, the last time I went to reboot it failed. When I power-up the computer it stalls out on the Dell BIOS screen. The F2 and F12 keys do not work. Also, I cannot boot into safe mode. In addition, I cannot get the machine to boot of the DVD drive; so, even if I wanted to, I could not start over at this point.

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 530.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Windows 7 will not boot and cannot boot from DVD drive

I just noticed something else - none of the USB slots seems to be working. This would explain why the F2, F8, and F12 keys do not work since I am using a USB keyboard.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/225641-windows-7-will-not-boot-cannot-boot-dvd-drive.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I lost access to my windows 7 drive (Dual-boot windows 7 & Ubuntu). every time I try to run Windows 7 I get the message: Bootmgr is compressed, Press CTRL_ALT-DEL to restart. I could run Bootrec /fixmbr or diskpart or attrib to rebuild my mbr table through DOS command window using my windows 7 recovery CD. The problem I cannot access drive C: where my windows 7 are. I get the error message: Cannot open volume for direct access or system cannot find the drive path or specified. I still can access all my windows folders and files through home folder in Ubuntu. I don't want to reformat and reinstall windows. Is there is a way to run the DOS commands within Ubuntu or any other advice to how to fix this issue.

A:Lost access to Windows 7 Drive (Dual-Boot Windows 7 & Ubuntu)

Hi,

Please see whether the steps outline in this tutorial will be of help:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/249212-lost-access-windows-7-drive-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I want to install a new primary hard drive and reinstall hard xp? xp second windows and boot drive preserve 2nd - reinstallatioin data windows windows xp from scratch on the new c drive For the moment I would also like to retain the old disc contents and the xp operating system To try to do this windows xp reinstallatioin - preserve second hard drive data and 2nd boot windows xp? I installed a second hard drive and cloned the old drive c to the new drive f I created a dual boot computer by editing my boot ini file so I could boot from either the c or f drive I replaced my primary hard drive with a new drive and booted up in the f drive Then I cloned the f drive back to the new c drive creating a dual boot system My concern now is that if I reinstall windows xp on the newly installed hard drive the Dell installation disk will wipe out the operating system and the contents on the f drive Is there any way to retain the old system I d appreciate any help with this Thanks KEH nbsp

A:windows xp reinstallatioin - preserve second hard drive data and 2nd boot windows xp?

The installation disc shouldn't touch the F drive but to be 100% safe just unplug it until you're done installing. You're going to have to modify the boot.ini file again anyway to dual boot so no skin lost to just take it out of the loop temporarilly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-reinstallatioin-preserve-second-hard-drive-data-and-2nd-boot-windows-xp.666949/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello Windows 8 members.

I'm Trinty from Windows 7 forums (maybe someone knows me).

I installed Windows 8 on VM but I want to install it on my current machine,
dual-boot with Windows 7.

Windows 7 is already installed and there is one problem. I don't have Install CD and Repair CD.
My questions :

1. When I install Win 8 do I need Install CD or Repair CD for Windows 7 (for ex. to repair Bootmgr) ?
2. Can I install Windows 8 from HDD (without using flash drive or DVD) ?
- If answer is yes : How ?
- If answer is no : Can I use Flash Drive 4GB ?

That is all for now.

Please answer soon.
Thanks in advace.
Baltic Trinty (w7 Trinty)

A:Installing Windows 8 with Windows 7 Dual Boot from Flash Drive

Hello Baltic, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You can install Windows 8 with the ISO, DVD, or USB. The tutorial below can help show you how to install Windows 8 to dual boot with Windows 7 using either installation media.

Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/6339-installing-windows-8-windows-7-dual-boot-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I am not sure how to do this I originally had XP and added another drive installing windows professional bit and have a dual boot system I transferred or saved all of the data from the XP drive and want to format it however it will not allow me to format it I boot up on drive C which is w but can select to boot up on drive D which is XP I have attached screen shot of the disk manager but Disk is D is NTFS Healthy System Active Primary Partition which is the windows XP drive Disk is C is NTFS Healthy Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary pro) on drive (windows system boot 7 dual to (windows How xp) format Partition which is the w p drive How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro) Not sure how to do this without loosing the w p drive I thought about unplugging the w p drive and How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro) booting from the w p disk but not sure how that would work when plugging the original w p drive back in Thanks

A:How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro)

I'd guess your problem is that you want to boot from C and format D, but Windows frowns at that when it sees that D contains your system files.

This probably happened because you left the XP drive connected when you installed Windows 7 to the other drive.

I also suspect that if you disconnect the D drive you can't boot at all from C. Is that correct? That would also be because your system files are on D.

If your system files were on C, I think you could then boot from C with D disconnected.

And you should also then be able to boot from C and format D.

You can use an application like BCDedit to copy system files from C to D.

Or you may be able to do it by disconnecting D and running system repair from a Windows install DVD--you may have to run it several times.

Others may have more ideas. That's my best guess just looking at the pic you posted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/396721-how-format-drive-windows-xp-dual-boot-system-windows-7-pro.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Here's the story I installed a new HDD and made it my new C drive I turned my old C drive into my D drive then cloned it onto my C drive Then I waited 8 D drive Unable boot Windows to installing 7 into after Windows on a couple of weeks to make sure everything was working It has been I am able to boot into either drive though Unable to boot into Windows 7 after installing Windows 8 on D drive it defaults to the C drive I decided to install Windows on the D drive After installing I was in quite a low-resolution environment I have a monitor that likes to be x but Windows wanted me to be at xsomething It was getting late so I figured I would try again another time I opted to restart the computer into Windows just to make sure everything was working The option to boot into either drive appeared though I noticed that Windows was now listed as the default option and Windows as the secondary I clicked on Windows and the computer instantly crashed Numerous subsequent reboots with attempts to boot into both OS yielded different results which eventually fell broadly into these categories - When attempting to boot into Windows a screen appears with a huge frowny emoticon It tells me that it's saving some data and will attempt a reboot but if I want to look up information later to make note of this error message CRITICAL PROCESS DIED - After an attempt at a normal boot I get the advanced boot option screen which gives me choices to boot into safe mode into another OS as well as many others Among them is to attempt a normal reboot This invariably leads to the above crash screen - When attempting to boot into Windows -- from either the Windows advanced boot options my BIOS boot options screen or the boot selection screen -- I receive BSOD this happened twice But it was a hassle just trying to get an option to boot into Windows I'm assuming that the two versions aren't playing nice somehow Both have tried to repair the startup sequence yielding the above results Maybe part of the problem was trying to put Windows on a secondary drive My temporary solution was to disconnect the D drive Upon booting a Windows screen told me that a necessary component was missing I was surprised to see that Windows even entered the picture at all It did give me the option of booting into a different OS I chose it and Windows booted up with no problems The one difference from a normal startup into Windows was a window that popped up telling me quot Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown quot It then provided some information appended below and a couple of files attached --Remy Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode c e BCP FFFFF A D EE BCP FFFFFFFFC BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Users Study AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml Read our privacy statement online Windows Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows If the online privacy statement is not available please read our privacy statement offline C Windows system en-US erofflps txt

A:Unable to boot into Windows 7 after installing Windows 8 on D drive

Did you boot the Windows 8 installation media to do the install? If not start over to Clean Install - Windows 8

For separate HD's I would unplug all other drives and then use the BIOS boot order or Boot Menu key to trigger the preferred drive.

If this isn't to your liking, install EasyBCD to Windows 7 to add Windows 8 to a Dual Boot menu.

You can change the preferred OS on that menu as shown in Default Operating System - Change Default Boot OS - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/329307-unable-boot-into-windows-7-after-installing-windows-8-d-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

So this is a bit of a weird one and I wracked my brain to think of the right place to put it I'm going to try boot files the on Moveable? drive Windows NOT Windows. with and make it as simple as possible but I really don't understand how it turned out in the first place so it might be tough I was trying to back up my windows drive i've been intending to upgrade from windows Premium to Pro or ultimate so i can use more RAM but i wanted to make sure i had a backup first just in case Well any time i try to make a disk image with windows it INSIST on also using drive E I have drives C D and E as well as externals Windows boot files NOT on the drive with Windows. Moveable? I don't want this at all because it makes the image huge On a little inspection showing protected operating system files i've found that E is littered with things like boot directoriesm autoexec boot bootmgr bootsect and so on They are all OLD last modified but i don't think i can deleted them and it won't let me reformat the drive either I worry that aside that windows NEEDs these files even though Windows is installed on C Is there any way to find out if they are actually needed and being used and or move them if they are being used so i can delete them also how do i delete them so i can do the backup without taking that entire drive as well Also if they are being used on that drive as opposed to C it can't be good for it either and fixing that is probably good Any help at all would be appreciated

A:Windows boot files NOT on the drive with Windows. Moveable?

Ultimate and Pro are the same exact OS with a few extra expensive features unlocked that most consumers don't need. Only if you're running 32 bit is your RAM restricted to around 4 gb if it isn't also reserved by Hardware. So you can change to 64 bit to use the extra RAM, using the same Product Key to Clean Install Windows 7 .

Please post back a screenshot of your Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image - Windows 7 Forums telling us what is on each partition so we can help you move your System Active boot files to C if you decide not to change to 64 bit.

This is another reason why all other HD's should be unplugged during install, and why you should delete all partitions during booted install to create new as desired - shown in Steps 6-7 in first tutorial.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/280008-windows-boot-files-not-drive-windows-moveable.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Ok my problem started in Windows disc Can't IDE present Windows drive. and boot without when I installed my first Sata drive I installed Windows Vista and had no problems other than it wouldn't boot without the original IDE drive I noticed there was a bootsect file on the Can't boot Windows without IDE present and Windows disc in drive. IDE Removing the drive or the file resulted in a quot insert system disk quot message on boot I left it as is because at least it still worked I decided to do a dual boot with Windows installed on a separate tb Sata This time I removed the IDE installed the new Sata and on powering up the PC didn't recognise the Sata drives Installing the IDE as master and installing my IDE CD-ROM drive was the only way to get the bios to see all drives Windows original disc install took ages to start and took ages to expand files Once installed I had a dual boot and selecting either OS all goes well Now when I remove the Windows disc I get the quot insert system disk quot message again With the CD in it goes to the quot press any key to boot from CD quot message I do nothing and I get the dual boot option I understood all Windows versions after XP has SATA drivers so why isn't my SATA drives recognised unless there are IDE present Needing the Windows CD in has puzzled me because it doesn't read anything off it in order to boot I'm not interested in setting up RAID mirror striping etc I just want a simple SATA setup that boots on its own I want to remove all IDE drives I have on board SATA controllers and PCI SATA card with two ports My Motherboard is a Foxconn P M - MB Are you all scratching your heads

A:Can't boot Windows without IDE present and Windows disc in drive.

Hello Asterix68, welcome to Seven Forums!

Will you please post a snip/screen-shot of the entire disk management drive map with a full description as to which drive is which, so we can see what you have going on as there may be a fairly simple way to resolve the situation.

In the Windows start menu right click computer and click manage, in the left pane of the "Computer Management" window that opens click disk management and post a snip of that.

How to Upload and Post a Screenshot and File in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/112565-cant-boot-windows-without-ide-present-windows-disc-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I recently upgraded to the following: motherboard (Asus P8H77-M Pro), processor (intel Core i5 2500K, 3.30 GHz, 6MB, LGA1155), and RAM (16GB, 1600mHz, DDR3). I also purchased Windows 7 and one Seagate 3TB SATA III HDD. I also have one intel SSD, a 520 Series, 120 GB drive. What I would like to do is install the SSD as a drive dedicated to the OS. The other drive will be for storage. Are there any issues that I should be aware of? If this is the way to go, should the other programs that I install also be on the SSD or would it be better to install on the HDD? And since the Seagate drive is 3 TB, will I be able to use it to capacity or will I be limited to less than the 3 TB? Does windows limit the capacity.
Thank you.

A:Windows 7 with boot drive

Best to install OS and programs on SSD. Be sure that other drives are not connected to the computer during install of OS. Excepting the DVD-ROM drive, of course. Do a clean install rather than attempt to clone or image the SSD. How do I Initialize & Install 3 TB HDD - Hard-Disks - Storage

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/466562/windows-7-with-boot-drive/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello folks I was hoping to get some help with the below I have been reading various forums and have found helpful tidbits but am not clear on the solution for me or if there even is one short of starting over Scenario Prior to installing Windows I had two IDE drives XP is installed on the master and the second drive is slaved to the first I purchased a new SATA Windows From Boot No 7 Drive drive for my Windows installation I do not remember if I altered the hard drive boot order No Boot From Windows 7 Drive in the BIOS at this time I then booted from the install DVD and installed Windows with no apparent problems Problem The Windows drive is not bootable It gives me an error saying that it can't boot from the device and to press any key to retry Initially I thought I had to have the install DVD in the drive but I've since discovered that I can boot from my master IDE drive XP drive as well When either of those drives are No Boot From Windows 7 Drive first in the boot order I am presented with the menu that allows me to choose 'Older Version of Windows' or 'Windows ' Either works just fine If I have the master SATA drive Win first in the boot order then I get the error What I've tried I have tried running the repair utility multiple times but it finds no problems I have tried using bootrec to locate quot missing quot Windows installations rebuildbcd and fixmbr but scanos shows no results and the other two say they work fine but there is no change Assuming I don't want to use a third party app I will if I have to but I'd really rather avoid it is it possible to fix this It's effectively working at the moment as I can still boot to Windows but if I later want to pull the Windows XP drive I'm going to have problems Any help is welcome I can follow instructions pretty well I'm relatively tech savvy I've worked in application support roles for years but OS problems of this level are outside my realm of experience Thanks

A:No Boot From Windows 7 Drive

I"m not clear on your problem.

In paragraph 3, you say you can't boot to Windows 7.

In paragraph 5, you say you can.

Can you clarify??

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/33380-no-boot-windows-7-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey guys I was wondering how much gb does windows 7 homepremium sp1 take up and could I get away with a 60 gb ssd or should I just go for a 120gb one?

A:Could I use a 60-64 gb ssd for a windows 7 boot drive?

A clean install will take up approximately 17-20GB. If you are on a tight budget, get a 64GB SSD. If you can save up the money and get a 120/128GB model, do that. The larger capacity SSD's generally perform better.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/273264-could-i-use-60-64-gb-ssd-windows-7-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello I'm having a problem which I have been unable to solve and it's eating away at me I have three hard drives One is a Kingston Hyperx SSD GB The other two are for internal storage and are WD GB Blacks I recently upgraded my computer My new mother board is the ASUS M A X I installed Windows just fine back in Dec and it worked up until April-Mayish My USB Hub was causing my computer to halt before POST After exchanging it with a new hub I was able to boot just fine Later that same day I cleaned out the dust in my computer and added another harddrive I wasn't able to boot Windows It would just stop with a blinking boot Windows in drive. without CD won't cursor right before it should show Windows won't boot without CD in drive. the four blue panes I went into BIOS and it didn't have my SSD listed I accidentally unplugged the SATA cable for my SSD and forgot to plug it back in After I plugged it back in I set the boot priority back to my SSD first I still couldn't boot so inserted my Windows CD to reformat After it says quot Press any key to boot from CD quot I didn't press anything and it loaded into Windows Windows won't boot without CD in drive. just fine I loaded Windows this way for a while until I was able to troubleshoot it After reformatting I get quot Please select proper boot device quot message If I put the CD in that goes away and it loads into windows after saying quot Press any key to boot from the CD quot Here's what I've done to troubleshoot so far Set SSD to first in boot priority order in BIOS Forced boot to my SSD in BIOS Changed SATA from AHCI to RAID lol to IDE I've used bootrec exe and tried bootrec RebuildBcdbootrec fixMbrbootrec fixboot This still didn't resolve my issue I flashed my BIOS to because it was going to fix an issue I had with a USB device I reformatted Windows with all drives unplugged except my SSD I've unplugged all SATA devices except my harddrive and tried to boot I've set the nd partition GB to active partition on my SSD I can't seem to find a fix for the issue I'm having Any help would be HUGELY appreciated My next step is to RMA the motherboard and hope that will resolve it Thanks

A:Windows won't boot without CD in drive.

Your MBR has gotten ruined somehow. You'll have to fix that, then run the Bootrec program.

If you can download Partition Wizard Home Ed, you can right click on your system drive over on the left side and it says "REbuild MBR" - After you do that, reboot to the Windows Install disk and run the Command Prompt and then run Bootrec again, fixing both the Boot and MBR. Warning, this is a risky process.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/27799-windows-wont-boot-without-cd-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Okay this is a weird problem if I try to set the HDD that I use as the bootable drive in my BIOS all I get is a blinking cursor on a black screen. However if I plug in an old HDD with an old windows installation and set that as the bootable drive I get the boot selection screen and am able to boot into the windows installation on my original hard drive. Anyone know what could be causing this?

A:Windows won't boot unless I use a different drive

OK, see if I understand the conditions:

HD0 + HD1 = boot select for "old Win on HD0" or "new Win7 on HD1"
HD1 alone (now HD0) = no boot

You installed Win7 on HD1 when HD0 was installed. Boot record is on HD0 with Win7 on HD1.

You need to disconnect HD0 and use a Win7 installation CD to "repair" the boot sector on the previous HD1 (now HD0 because the original has been removed).

You might be able to use a partition manager program to make HD1 bootable, then remove HD0 and make HD1 > HD0...not sure if a free program can do it - Brink may know.

Regards,
GEWB

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/219917-windows-wont-boot-unless-i-use-different-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have a Dell Dimension E that I can t do anything with Windows just or drive Windows not XP will C CD boot from goes to a black screen when booting normally and if I try to boot from the CD I get the blue screen of death saying Windows has been shut down to prevent damage I did some reading and hoped I could get to the recovery console and try some things but all it will let me do is go to setup or the boot Windows XP will not boot from C drive or CD screen Nothing works from the boot screen it just keeps bringing me back to it and I don t see anything in the setup that looks helpful If I could get to a C prompt I may be able to get somewhere but after hours of pulling out hair I give up My guess is a virus that s completely shut me down If that s the case how can I wipe and reformat my hard drive and start fresh I hate to lose everything but I m running out of ideas Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Windows XP will not boot from C drive or CD

I do not want to discount your malware concerns.
Still, there are other factors which may cause your symptoms.
Why did you raise the possibility of malware?
Did you have other symptoms?

What did you do (hardware changes, software changes, or specific activities) just prior to the problems?

Your system looks like it is about 5 years old. Have you opened the case?
(Check for dust accumulation. Dust is a blanket that holds heat. Heat is an enemy of your system).

Were you overclocking? Have you changed any bios settings (especially memory)?

Memtest will run in its own environment and will check your memory for errors.

Please follow this guide... http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Please note that (unless you start getting errors reported) you will need to let this run a long time.

A good way of doing this is to let it run over night. In each 'pass" there are a series of eight memory tests that are run, each more complicated than the previous. You need to let it run a minimum of 7 passes, unless you start getting errors. If you have errors reported, you may want to re-run the test with only one stick of ram installed, checked each stick until you isolate those that are faulty. That way you can limit your replacement to those that actually need it.

Let us know the results.
If your memory comes up without errors, that is good, but not 100% conclusive.
Recently I have seen a report that defective memory did not show up until the 11th full pass.
Defective memory may sometimes pass memtest, But it is a good starting point.
And if it checks okay then 99% of the time it means something else is the issue.

When you repost, please answer my questions,
and post your memtest results.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-will-not-boot-from-c-drive-or-cd.153234/
Relevancy 41.28%

Got a new Kingston SSD for using as system drive Previously got system on HDD Windows updated from a Win license I have SSD the Kingston and another HDDs I used Windows Boot DVD with license The problem is as following - got Windows on SSD drive with all HDD disconected after that I connected all HDDs from which one had the system on it same Win system and the system was not booting All kinds o f error messages and blue screens one of which was a Kernel Data Inpage Error not DVD BOOT drive when wil in Windows 8.1 not on Win SSD - after a days struggle I took it from beginning Clean slate Format HDDs and stuff All went fine until the end After installing Windows on the SSD and updated to windows and then connected the rest of the HDD when I remove the Windows DVD from the DVD drive the system stops from booting Error message quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media quot Steps I followed when installing system on SSD Used Windows Boot DVD to format the HDD that previously had the system on it and backed up all my data on it and the other HDDs Disconnected all other HDD but the Kingston SSD Connected SSD with GB Sata cable to a GB port on my MB named port SATA Set DISK MODE to AHCI in Bios and made SSD first boot device NO UEFI Bios option available so no need to disable it Ran clean install from Windows DVD Boot only Windows 8.1 wil not BOOT on SSD when Win DVD not in drive with SSD connected and updated to Windows Connected rest of HDDs ONE BY ONE meaning connected one booted system all good shut down connected second booted system all good third etc All was fine for now All this time the Win DVD was in the DVD drive Booted again with system on SSD and all HDD connected also the DVD drive connected All HDD's are on normal SATA ports SATA and SATA ports on MB SSD is set as first boot device NOW When I remove de Windows DVD from the DVD drive I get the error mentioned above quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media quot Then if remove all HDDs but the SSD and Windows DVD from drive I get a blue screen quot quot Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed Error code xc f quot If I Insert the Win DVD back in and do a repair it starts again If after a repair I just remove Win DVD from drive and let all SSD and HDD connected I get the same message but when I insert DVD back again no need to do a repair cause the system starts fine I came across many issues and errors in my experience with PCs and Windows systems but this is by far the weirdest one Please assist me if you have any ideas Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65971-windows-8-1-wil-not-boot-ssd-when-win-dvd-not-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Recently I installed windows 7 on a primary drive from my old system drive. Wanting to use that drive for other things, I took it out (for the record, that drive has Vista). The problem is that without it I can't boot my other () drive. If I have both of them in, when I load up my computer it will display "MDB Error" then it will continue to the next screen where it asks me if I would like to load Windows 7 or Vista.

If I don't have the drive that has vista on it in too it will just say "MDB Error" and tell me to put in a drive I can use to boot.

Thanks in advance.

A:Can't boot windows 7 without other drive?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickCraigS

Recently I installed windows 7 on a primary drive from my old system drive. ...

Not following... did you copy one drive's contents to the other?

Windows 7 must be installed FROM genuine Windws 7 DVD or USB.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-boot-windows-7-without-other-drive-573629.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hallo
Is there a method or so software that can prevent applications from being installed in C boot drive?
The reason I got an M.2 SSD is not big and I want it just for window and drivers

Thank you

A:Is it possible to keeps C boot drive just for windows?

Welcome to the forum. In general no when you install you can choose drive but some files may have to go on c due to windows finding the files in the path

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/68387-possible-keeps-c-boot-drive-just-windows.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I work for small retail store, our cash register is an XP-based touch screen computer. We are getting a message indicating that we have a missing or corrupt "Windows/system32/config/system" file. I realize that this is a common error and it can be fixed by inserting the XP installation CD and running a repair but this unit does not, nor has it ever had a CD drive. We've considered purchasing an external USB drive and running the CD but since we can't open Windows to install the drivers for the external drive I'm not sure this would work. This unit really only has USB ports, can anyone think of any solutions to this problem?

Thank You

A:Windows won't boot and I have no CD-ROM Drive

You're going to have to dig up the service manual or go online and find it
That or send it out for repair

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296819/windows-wont-boot-and-i-have-no-cd-rom-drive/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have upgraded my Pavillion 17 Notebook from Windows 8 to Windows 10.  I have some old games that ran fine in Windows XP and 8 but will not run in Windows 10.  I have a copy of Windows XP and would like to create a duel boot system with Windows 10 & XP.  I've created a new partition and have gone to the BIOS to change my Boot Option.  I have Enabled CD-ROM Boot, Enabled Legacy Support, and Disabled Secure Boot.  I have changed the boot order to Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive at the top.  My computer will still not boot from the CD/DVD Rom Drive.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thank you.  

A:Boot from CD/DVD Drive in Windows 10

I also tried to duel boot Windows XP and Windows 10 but when i got to the partitioning part it sayed you needed to have a version of Windows NT so it wont duel boot but you can just use a virtual machine software like VMware or Virtualbox  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Boot-from-CD-DVD-Drive-in-Windows-10/td-p/5693403
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello, I have a Toshiba laptop (Satellite C55-B5270) running Windows 8.1 and cannot boot from the CD/DVD drive.  The 8.1 is OEM. I have disabled Secure Boot and changed the boot order to this drive.  The CD is recognized by Windows 8.1 and I can read all the files on it.  However, when I load the CD and start the laptop, it goes into Win 8.1 instead of using the boot CD.  I have verified that the changes to UEFI were made and saved.  1st boot is the CD/DVD drive.  Secure Boot is disabled.

Also, I have used this CD on my Windows 7 laptop and, after changing the boot order, I was able to boot from the CD and run a utility program.  The creators of the CD stated that it had been tested and should run on Win 8.1.

I have researched and tried everything, but have hit a wall.  All help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Cannot boot from cd/dvd drive Windows 8.1

If there is a setting in UEFI called Fastboot or Quickboot I would disable it also. Look for a setting called Legacy or CSM boot. Enable it.

What is the disk you are trying to boot, Windows 7? 

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631165/cannot-boot-from-cddvd-drive-windows-81/
Relevancy 40.85%

I've been trying all day to get to a point where I can format my old hard drive D I found out today that in its infinite wisdom the Windows installer put the boot manager on a completely separate drive from my new drive C the one I selected for installation Windows is totally self-contained on C save for the boot manager I have tried Creating new boot files with quot bcdboot C s C quot in an admin command line at the suggestion of another post and then going into the BIOS setting C as the default drive and setting it as the primary boot device When that didn't work I ran multiple startup repairs to C from the install disk with D old to 7 drive. drive Moved refuses boot still without boot manager, disconnected until it no longer reported problems This didn't work either C still will not run the boot manager without D plugged in and set in the BIOS as the default drive I've found more things to try such as this method but I don't feel that the description is clear enough to attempt it I attached a screenshot of Disk Management I notice that C still does not have quot system quot in its parameters I assume it has something to do with this but I don't know how to make that show up there Does anyone know what could be wrong Edit Clearer description of what I did before posting Quote Here is what I did before posting here for clarity Marked Waffles as Active using DISKPART in an administrative command line I'm refraining from referring to it as C because the Win install DVD refers to it as D while my Win installation refers to it as C leaving things a bit ambiguous For reference it's the drive which I'm trying to boot from quot Pancakes quot is the drive which currently contains the boot files and carries the quot System quot flag Edit Used Moved boot manager, 7 drive still refuses to boot without old drive. an administrative command line to create boot files on C Command may have been 'bcdboot C s C ' that's the best I can remember This method was suggested on another Moved boot manager, 7 drive still refuses to boot without old drive. forum Went into BIOS and set Waffles as the primary startup drive It is interesting to note that running DISKPART within the Win install DVD environment still marks Pancakes as Disk and Waffles as Disk even with Waffles set as the primary boot drive Edit Attempted to boot Failed Ran startup repair several times each time letting it apply fixes until Startup Repair failed to detect errors in the boot files and would not let me run startup repair again Attempted to boot the system with Waffles set as the primary boot drive and Pancakes plugged in System would not boot Ran the Win install DVD again startup repair still failed to detect problems and would not run Gave up set Pancakes as the primary boot drive System booted and I posted here

A:Moved boot manager, 7 drive still refuses to boot without old drive.

1) unplug cable from Disk0 Pancakes.

2) Plug the cable from Pancakes to Waffles.

3) Check BIOS to make sure Waffles is the first HD to boot.

4) Do a startup Repair.
Press the F8 key repeatedly at boot up or use the Startup disk.
Startup Repair
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times
Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery

5) When windows is booting OK, plug the cable from Waffles to Pancakes.

6) Mark Pancakes INACTIVE.
Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/171085-moved-boot-manager-7-drive-still-refuses-boot-without-old-drive.html
Relevancy 40.85%

My x g disk Hitachi sata raid boot drive partitioned off g for boot and g for data is not working for me How do I split one of the drives out of the Raid and convert it to a basic disk with partitions g for help boot to raid 0 drive boot convert basic to drive a operating sys and balance for backup Can I just remove two of the three raid disks from the computer and restart with the xp media center built on xp pro disk to reformat and repartition the one disk What scares me is the microsoft warning quot After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk you cannot change the dynamic volumes back to partitions Instead help to convert raid 0 boot drive to a basic boot drive you must delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then use the Convert To Basic Disk command If you want to keep your data you must first back it up or move it to another volume quot I don t want to keep any data but how do I delete disk volumes containing my operating system I will also raid or jbod the remaining drives for multimedia data storage Motherboard is asus a n sli premium with built in Raid I am using the nvidia raid currently nbsp

A:help to convert raid 0 boot drive to a basic boot drive

You'll have to configure your RAID devices using the Configuration Utility that normally prompts during start up. Basically before your computer boots windows it should prompt something similar to "press ctrl + S" to enter configuration utility. Then you can manage which disks are in what RAID configuration. You may also want to check your BIOS as there may be settings there or access to the configuration utility.

Note that once you change the RAID configuration, all data on the devices is no longer be able to be read.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-to-convert-raid-0-boot-drive-to-a-basic-boot-drive.29784/
Relevancy 40.85%

A couple weeks ago, I bought a new 1TB Caviar Black for my computer. I used HDClone to copy everything to the new drive then I reformatted the old one. Everything was working great. When I finally got around to installing the rc, stuff started getting weird. It turns out that it moved the windows data onto my older, slower drive and put the 200MB boot partition on my new drive. The computer works, but I would prefer if I could somehow move the windows partion onto the new drive and mod the 200MB partition to tell it to look there for the windows data.

Thanks,
xpansive

Relevancy 40.85%

This started happening since I tried to make a [email protected]!nt0sh out of my PC. I think it might have have happened because I changed the disk to HFS+. Well, enough speculation. It's as the title says. I think it might be because the partition isn't marked as active, so it cant get the attention of the BIOS when it tries to boot. Does anyone know how to mark a partition as active. I do have access to the windows xp installation, what can I download or what can I run to do this?

A:Windows will not Boot off of HD unless XP Disc is in CD Drive

I marked the partition as active in windows, but now when it boots it says NTLDR is missing? What should I do? Run Fixmbr?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-will-not-boot-off-of-hd-unless-xp-disc-is-in-cd-drive.111499/
Relevancy 40.85%

ok very strange problem, i installed windows and set it up and drivers the whole lot installed. but for some reason it say boot disc failed in the bios if i dont have the windows disc in the drive on bootup. i dont boot from the disc or anythin, just when it says press any button to boot from the cd i just leave it and windows boots up fine.

i have tried to change the boot priorty in the bios and remove the cdrom from it and still i get the same problem. have tried alsorts of different settings in here. but only thing that works is if the cdrom is set as the first boot drive then hdd as second. and then to have the windows disc in the drive.

any help would be much apreciated.
tom

Relevancy 40.85%

I'm hoping someone can help me with a boot issue on my Windows 7 Professional desktop computer.

I want to encrypt the Windows partition with True-crypt but I have several hard disks and somewhere along the line the boot-file (is it BCD?) has been put on a different hard disk. I can find out what disk by looking in the BIOS to see what drive boots first but other than that I don't know what to do or how to (if required) edit the file.

Any help much appreciated.

A:Windows does not boot from the drive it is installed on.

Can you give us a screen snip of disk management ?

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/299292-windows-does-not-boot-drive-installed.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hello everyone, I'm trying to run some programs from a USB-based version of Hirens that I made today on a new USB flash drive, as the HD is working at 100% all the time and locking the machine up (wanted to run some test to see if the drive's on it's way out)

I'm really struggling getting my Asus X502C to "see" the drive after boot up. Is there an easy way of telling W8 to boot from this drive? Many thanks in advance.

A:Using Hirens Boot USB drive with Windows 8

compact disc - Hiren's Boot CD with UEFI support? - Super User

I am a long term user of Hiren's Boot CD, but the CD does not support booting on UEFI/EFI/SecureBoot hardware, is there some kind of update/patch to apply to the cd image to be able to boot without BIOS?

Short answer: No; you cannot make Hiren's Boot CD EFI compatible.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/71768-using-hirens-boot-usb-drive-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 40.85%

and does anyone has problem of m.2 ssd boot up as drive C?

A:Can windows 7 see a m.2 SSD as boot drive without any problem?

Depends on the m.2 drive you want to use. If you are referring to a sata based m.2 it will work fine or should. If its a PCIE based AHCI drive its kind of a crapshoot, and if its an nvme based drive you will need platform specific driver for it.

https://hardforum.com/threads/can-windows-7-see-a-m-2-ssd-as-boot-drive-without-any-problem.1885771/
Relevancy 40.85%

I've got two related problems. But I'll start with the laptop. I want to put Linux on it as my core OS but I don't want to lose the original OS (windows 7 64-bit)

So I've moved the hard drive to a USB3.0 drive cage. When it boots I get a blue screen of death (even on the recovery screen)

So what do I need to do to get windows 7 to boot from a USB drive so I don't have to keep taking the laptop a part to put the "original" hard drive back any time there's a need to load up windows.

A:Moving Windows 7 boot drive to USB

Don`t want to dual boot ?

Windows 7 is not supposed to be able to boot from usb, but I`ve read a thread or two here where people have had success.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357022-moving-windows-7-boot-drive-usb.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Is there a BootCD that would do it? What is the best utility? How long might a 40gb, 25gb used, hard drive take backing up to a usb 2 or 1 external hard drive?

Relevancy 40.85%

I just rebuilt my pc last night I re used some parts like hard drive, optical drive, powersupply, and video card. Eve thing else is new like motherboard, cpu and ram. The pc turns on fine like it should but as loading windows 7 it freezes and blue screens the restarts loading over and over again the pc dose not crash or turn off I believe it's a hard drive or operating system failure just not sure. As all computer store around me are closed or there techs arent in. Pls help

Relevancy 40.85%

Hello all,
I have been running windows 7 off of my solid state drive and now it seems to be going out. I have windows 7 installed on a standard spin disk drive as well, and would like to boot to that instead but am unable to. I have selected to boot from that hard drive in the bios, but it goes straight to trying to boot off of my broken solid state drive (even if the ssd is unplugged). Also, I cannot choose the secondary (backup) version of windows 7 on my spin disk drive; the screen that allows you to pick your OS flashes by way too quickly and automatically chooses the first installation. I just need to force boot to my other hard drive. All I need to do is slow down the boot select screen somehow.

Any help is much appreciated thanks!

A:Cannot boot onto other hard drive, Windows 7

If you can get into the BIOS you can set the time that it shows the OEM screen, I set that to 5 seconds. If you can get into the BIOS you should put a delay on it, then you may be able to choose the MB Boot Menu and choose the correct drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/29834-cannot-boot-onto-other-hard-drive-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hello I m in desperate need of help I started out getting the blue screen of death with an Unmountable Boot Volume error I have the operating disc but was told I need a recovery disc I got both now I tried the recovery disc the computer started reading it But then I get the following errors -CD-ROM not detected driver Windows running boot, CD-ROM won't drive not not loaded -The Device Driver is not installed -CD-ROM DRIVE Not connected or Power Off -Interface board or CD-ROM is not ready Then it asks to retry or abort Retry doesn t get me anywhere but when I push abort it takes me to a quot Disk Caching Status quot and all the drives are listed as read Windows won't boot, CD-ROM drive not running quot yes quot It also says quot The memory-resident portion of SMARTDrive is loaded quot and says A gt So what do I do It should be noted I think the reason it crashed was because I had used all of my memory It says the Cache size is byetes Thanks for any help Adam nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-boot-cd-rom-drive-not-running.716885/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi Okay the situation Just installed Win on my PC Formatted my Vista gb sata drive C and installed x over it my other two drives have music files documents etc on them I have previously had installations of Ubuntu and the dev version of Win that came out some time ago Now after the Win installation and the pc restarted I got a GRUB loader error the boot screen for ubuntu presumably because I deleted the ubuntu partition So I changed the boot order to one of the smaller hard drives and Change windows drive boot Win loaded up So it seems whatever it is that decides what to boot is living on one of the smaller hard drives I want to switch it over to my main C drive where the Win installation is because I no longer have any other OS on my system I'd Change windows boot drive like to keep those drives as seperate removable devices so if windows booting up Change windows boot drive depends on one of them and I remove it then I'm screwed Any ideas how I can change the boot device Cheers P s sorry for any incorrect terminology that might not make sense I just hope you can understand me

A:Change windows boot drive

Is the W7 HDD installed as SATA 0 .. The first SATA port ??
When you installed W7 .. Was it the only Drive connected ??

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/127940-change-windows-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hello and yes a newbe Cant believe I did this after running my boat into a buoy not kidding comes in three's I never had sucess installing my in card reader upstairs on the server Worked fine on my laptop Win Ultimate on see 7 boot wont drive Can windows the server with wind -bit no luck previously So I downloaded driver all worked fine got my pictures and thought job well done Then my update screen said important updates so OK lets install them so I did ask me to reboot never has booted back up since with attempted fixes So since I build computers and know some basic stuff I got on windows forums did all the suggestions in DOS chkdsk etc and nada So i have another good working PC and took Can see drive wont boot windows 7 the c drive out of server and installed it so i could see the files at least and I do During all my failed repair attempts never got a blue screen drive is not hot I even attempted to do a back up from April no luck I have c drive is OS and backup is d My quick books Can see drive wont boot windows 7 is really what I'm needing but when I look at both drives on this computer they look nearly identical so not sure what the next step is

A:Can see drive wont boot windows 7

By backup, do you mean you did a System Restore to a date in April and that did not help?

How did you run chkdsk? Did you boot a Windows 7 install DVD and run it from there?
Have you tried doing Startup Repair (up to 3 times) from the install DVD?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/266971-can-see-drive-wont-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I recently did a clean install of Windows Ultimate x OEM version on a new in without boot drive x64 Ultimate DVD won't Windows 7 hard disk Installation seemed to go normally no obvious errors Activation seemed to go normally no obvious errors My hardware Windows 7 Ultimate x64 won't boot without DVD in drive is all brand new and greatly exceeds the requirements for installing this OS HD is a Seagate Barracuda SATA terrabyte The problem is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 won't boot without DVD in drive that now the OS won't boot without the installation media DVD in the optical drive I find this unacceptable I have read many many posts about this problem and tried many many many proposed solutions - change boot sequence in BIOS this shouldn't matter but I tried it anyway and it doesn't help - boot from DVD and use quot repair quot command on installation screen tried numerous times to no avail - boot from DVD and use quot command prompt quot command on installation screen then type various things - chkdsk r - bootsect command - various bcd commands - various diskpart commands - boot from gparted CD-ROM set disk to active bootable Nothing seems to help The OS works perfectly once it has booted I am confident that this is not a HD problem My instinct tells me that it has to do with something that is supposed to be in the boot sector that's not or that is in the boot sector that's not supposed to be or some formatting problem or some cache Is there a way to clone the partition to a disk that boots normally I'm really hoping not to start all over again Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve this Thanks in advance Tom

A:Windows 7 Ultimate x64 won't boot without DVD in drive

Hi Tom -

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Mgmt drive map with listings so we can look it over and advise you better.

This often happens because the installer fails to mark the install partition or its 100mb System Reserved partition Active when causes the boot loader to rely on the disk to boot the OS. So that's the first thing we look for.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/231149-windows-7-ultimate-x64-wont-boot-without-dvd-drive.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I have an error on my laptop. I am running Windows 7 Home premium.
The message is /boot/bcd an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
The problem is that the DVD drive is broken, so I cannot use a windows disc as it says. I would appreciate any advice

A:windows 7 boot problem and no DVD drive

Without access to the windows dvd your options are limited
it depends on how the laptop was setup
if you keep tapping F8 immediately on post screen do you get to the advanced boot options
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/...tup-options-including-safe-mode#1TC=windows-7
post reply please and if you do we will give it a try from there - try Last Known Good and include result of that please

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-boot-problem-and-no-dvd-drive.1153632/
Relevancy 40.85%

I was able to boot into Windows Ultimate bit and now I am getting the message stating Windows Boot Manager Windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change might be the cause To fix the problem Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer Choose your language settings and then click quot with boot drive Windows 3.0 Need USB to getting external 7-64-bit help next quot Click 'repair your computer' If you do not have the disc contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance File windows system winload exe Status xc I know I have the full version of Windows Ultimate -bit and I know the file winload exe is on that drive to I saw it I had cloned the drive I have inside the external case to a bigger SSD drive that is now in my computer case so I can go Need help getting external USB 3.0 drive with Windows 7-64-bit to boot to a full version of Windows while still being able to boot into windows on my external SSD drive that I have hooked to the USB port I bought one of those external case kits that let you use an SSD drive to migrate copy or clone to another source or drive Since it is an external drive Need help getting external USB 3.0 drive with Windows 7-64-bit to boot the only way I can get it to boot is by going into Need help getting external USB 3.0 drive with Windows 7-64-bit to boot UEFI Bios and selecting it as the drive I want to boot into which was fine and it worked a couple of times Now I cannot even boot it up anymore without the windows boot manager error screen and message I have tried everything even copying the whole Windows install DVD to the drive and nothing works It won't allow me to repair anything necessary so it boots up What do I do now I have games I have played for weeks that will be lost due to the fact I have saved progress I appreciate all the help I can get

A:Need help getting external USB 3.0 drive with Windows 7-64-bit to boot

You can`t boot windows through USB, not sure how it worked in the 1st place.

Why don`t you just install this hard drive back in the pc, why even try to run it externally ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/354464-need-help-getting-external-usb-3-0-drive-windows-7-64-bit-boot.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I have windows XP installed on my not hard drive does no XP boot, Windows GB WD Scorpio Blue PATA hard drive on a DELL Latitude D One day I wake and my laptop doesn't boot My computer starts leaves POST but the hard drive doesn't boot It just sits there I try pressing buttons but it Windows XP does not boot, no hard drive starts beeping so I have to turn it off Normally if there are no devices that my computer can boot from it displays something along the lines of quot No primary boot devices found press F to retry boot or F to enter the configuration utility quot but the screen shows nothing I ran chkdisk and a number of other diagnostic tools on the hard drive but nothing helped I have Ubuntu on a flash drive and with it I can access the files on the hard drive - all files are intact and I can read write without problems It just doesn't boot How would I go about fixing this Any help is appreciated This is the third hard drive that failed inside my D my second WD I've had enough of this

A:Windows XP does not boot, no hard drive

Repair Install would be the easiest approach.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-does-not-boot-no-hard-drive-544438.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi,

Does anyone know how to boot a notebook PC with an external USB Flash drive?. Of course the computer has no 3.5" drive, so a MS-DOS boot disk is outta the question?

A:How to boot Windows XP from a USB Flash drive

Well, You could get the file off of www.allbootdisks.com and just put the boot image on there. Also you must configure your bios to boot to a usb device before the hard drive. Some bios configurations won't let you, but if your computer is only a few years old, it should be able to.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-boot-windows-xp-from-a-usb-flash-drive-111220.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Under control panel there is an application entitled "Recovery". I wanted to create a recovery drive on my USB memory stick. I did, and then tried to reboot from it just to see if it would work in case I needed it. It wouldn't boot. What am I doing wrong?

A:Can't boot from a USB recovery drive (Windows 8.1)!

Your machine probably has a default order of where it looks to find boot files.

If your hard disk is 1st in the order then it will keep using that (as long as the hard disk has a working OS in place).

You should be able to change the boot order by changing a setting in the BIOS.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/40203-cant-boot-usb-recovery-drive-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hello i'm using Windows XP Pro SP3 and i am trying to Boot the Windows 7 iso from my USB flash drive. I found a tutorial online and the first step was to use cmd to rune "DISKPART" then use "LIST DISK" to find the correct number for my flash drive. The problem is that when i type LIST disk it doesnt seem to show my flash drive. It only shows my two hard drives. Any clue what is going on. The flash drive is a brand new 8gb Kingston.

A:Windows 7 iso to boot from USB Flash Drive

Does your computer's bios allow booting to a usb drive?http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/346152/windows-7-iso-to-boot-from-usb-flash-drive/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi I woke up this morning to find my internet wasn t working on my computer As my computer is the main computer in my connections and the router was showing the internet was still connected I restarted my computer After the restart my computer would load as normal past the screen where I can choose to go into BIOS ect Then it asks which OS I would like to boot from Windows Recovery Console or Windows XP Upon choosing Windows XP the screen goes black and nothing happens I ve waited for over an hour just incase I have went into BIOS and chose boot from cd put the windows xp cd in but the computer will only boot windows Cannot to from boot cd-drive reinstall xp right back to the screen asking Cannot boot from cd-drive to reinstall windows xp me to choose an OS I don t get the option to press a ny key to load from cd or anything like that I ve never had a problem reinstalling windows on this computer before so now I m not sure what to do Is there anyway to possibly boot from cd from the Recovery Console I ve been going at this trying to figure out a way to just get the comp to load so that I can wipe the disk but I m at a loss now so I m hoping someone can help Thanks I ve also tried booting from safe mode but upon choosing that it goes back to the choose what OS to load while informing me at the bottom of the screen in blue writing that it will be in safe mode but instead of just a black screen upon loading this time it goes to a black screen with lines written Multi rdisk partition windows system ntoskrnl exe Multi rdisk partition windows system hal dll Multi rdisk partition windows system KDCOM DLL Nothing goes on past that point the screen just stays there nbsp

A:Cannot boot from cd-drive to reinstall windows xp

1. check to make sure that your CD is set to the the first boot drive in BIOS.

2. check this article out and see if it helps any
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

You may have a corrupted boot loader

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-boot-from-cd-drive-to-reinstall-windows-xp.159277/
Relevancy 40.85%

I have been having nothing but trouble with my girlfriend s new computer installed? a with cd Windows drive won't boot meaning it was my old computer of course I never had problems with it when it was mine I should have known better than to give her an AOpen formerly ACER cd drive but it was what I had so in it went My problem is that windows will not boot from hd with any cd rive of any brand I tried Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? three the Aopen is broken on any IDE channel primary or secondary no matter if it is keyed as master or slave Is Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? this an IRQ problem in the bios Before switching the cd drives out I would press the eject button on the cd drive and then the video card would kick in and the login screen would show up but I couldn t get the cd to actually eject I think the motherboard uses pheonix bios The system is an MSI k N -G board with an athlon and a gigabyte of Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? ddr samsung RAM a radeon pro and a wd hard drive Anyway what is going on here Any clues This crap is driving me CRAAAAAZY Chris nbsp

A:Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed?

This sounds like a fun one...at least from a few hundred miles away.

Can you clarify a few things?

1.) The HD is currently set to master. Correct?
2.) Does the CD Drive show in the BIOS?
3.) Can you boot using a bootable CD? (W2k or WinXP)
4.) Can you boot into safe mode with the CD-Rom present?

(BTW...if you're unable to ever open the CD-Rom...most CD-Roms have an emergency eject (a little pinhole on the front) that you can stick a paperclip in to manually eject.)

I don't think this is an IRQ issue...,but we'll see...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-boot-with-a-cd-drive-installed.416251/
Relevancy 40.85%

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...ce-367902.html

I stated my problem in the hard drive section first but i have found out it's not the hard drive so my guess is its the OS. I simply cannot boot windows, everything is working fine, its detected by the computer as the master hard drive but won't boot a brand new copy of windows i just installed.

Ideas?

Relevancy 40.85%

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit pre-installed. The manufacture did not provide me with the operating system on disk. The computer has two hard drives. I wanted the OS installed on the smaller hard drive but they installed it on the larger hard drive.

I used Norton/Symantec Ghost to mirror the OS from the larger drive to the smaller drive. Please look at the attached image. I want to change Drive C: to Drive T: and I want to change Drive F: to drive C:. Also, I want to make Drive C: contain "Boot" and "Page File" and "Crash Dump" like Drive F: does.

Ultimately, I want my computer to boot from the smaller drive and I want the letter of that drive to be C:

A:Windows 7: Change Boot Drive

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking on these lines:

1. Swap the leads for drive 0 and drive 1 on your motherboard, so that drive 1 will become drive 0 in disk management and drive 0 will become drive 1.

2. Format the old drive 0 (the new drive 1).

3. Change the drive lettering on the smaller, new drive 0 (the old drive 1) so that Windows is on the C drive.

4. Boot into your Windows DVD and carry out a Startup Repair to repair the master boot record. You may have to do this three times.

Startup Repair

If my advice is not correct, someone will soon be along to correct it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/174679-windows-7-change-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 40.42%

I've been using my laptop with Windows 7 with an USB to SATA adapter to read files from an XP hard drive. When I put the drive back in the XP tower, XP will not boot anymore and gives me a 7B error. Does Windows 7 alter the files on the XP drive when it reads it? Just curious if anyone else has encountered this....

A:Windows 7 reads a Windows XP drive, then XP won't boot?

Quote: Originally Posted by jblue21

I've been using my laptop with Windows 7 with an USB to SATA adapter to read files from an XP hard drive. When I put the drive back in the XP tower, XP will not boot anymore and gives me a 7B error. Does Windows 7 alter the files on the XP drive when it reads it? Just curious if anyone else has encountered this....

You mean it's a sata disk and converted to usb and plugged in in usb port of win7 machine?

Is boot from usb enabled in laptop (maybe it did boot or tried to boot ) from it.
Did you "safe remove hardware"?

XP STOP 0X0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE – BSOD | Windows XP & Windows 7

A STOP 0X0000007B error means that Windows XP lost access to the system or boot volume during startup. STOP 0X0000007B is often caused by one of the following:Hardware problemse.g. A failed boot device =>disk is still visible and working in win7?

Corrupted or incompatible storage driversSCSI, RAID, UDMA IDE, SATA

File system problems (corruption)=>disk is still visible and working in win7?
A virus=>win7 did put virus on it... unlikely
Out-dated BIOS=>you didn't update BIOS?
Did you change something in xp desktop's BIOS? Why did you connect disk to win7 anyway? I mean was disk working fine prior to that action?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/227711-windows-7-reads-windows-xp-drive-then-xp-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi,

I have just bought a new laptop for my wife and it has windows 8 on it. It has no optical drive and she would prefer to use windows 7.

I have a windows 7 dvd but this isn't much use for me here! So far, I have got an extracted windows 7 .iso file on the desktop but not sure what to do with this next.

I am aware I can't just drag the .iso file onto the flash drive and then boot the laptop from usb, there seems to be more to it than that. It would probably just ignore it and not boot from it.

What I have here is a Windows 8 laptop and one with Ubuntu on it with which to work with. This new one will be arriving within the next few days.

Any help is very much appreciated, thanks.

Sam.

A:How do I create windows 7 boot drive in windows 8

Use this to put the iso on a flash drive, but how are you gonna activate it. It would be better to downgrade to windows 7. I will try to dig up the tutorial.

http://www.wintobootic.com/

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/276101-how-do-i-create-windows-7-boot-drive-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi all, on my current build (see my system on the side) it is weird that when i leave my USB 2.0 external harddrive plugged into the USB ports, it will be in a boot loop (just not booting past the windows loading screen). This doesnt happen on any other computers with this harddrive.

what could the issue be ? i dont think it has any boot sectors on it nor does it have any OS ISO's on it besides some linux ones but those are stowed away in different folders.

any clues ? i dont feel like unplugging my harddrive everytime i boot up. it doesnt happen with flash drives or card readers. just with one specific drive

thanks

A:windows wont boot if USB drive is plugged in

Your boot order may have USB as a boot option ahead of your internal hard drive. Switch the order by pressing F8 (Or whatever your initial screen says to press) and changing the order of the boot devices so that USB is lower than HD.

Even if the USB drive does not have an OS, it may be the issue. I know at least that it won't boot with a floppy in the drive, even if the floppy is blank. Worth a shot at least.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-wont-boot-if-usb-drive-is-plugged-in-140202.html