Windows Support Forum

Any way to point Windows Updates to a local directory?

Q: Any way to point Windows Updates to a local directory?

I now local to point Any Windows way Updates to directory? a have W PCs and a few XPs I want to update and want a couple more but updating amp keeping them that way with my limited-bandwidth speed ISP is a real challenge I've tried to utilize the MS Update Catalog so that I only have to download individual updates Once and I recently found Brink's excellent tutorial on getting a download directly from the WU dialog but still this is such a chore I assume that professionals make updating easier by using MS Update Catalog and Windows Server Update Services WSUS but I don't run Windows Server and don't want to buy Server and build another computer Any way to point Windows Updates to a local directory? just for this task Can anyone suggest a method to update a PC from a local directory still using the WU dialog As it is I have to look at the updates WU is requesting then open my download directory of update files find or download afresh the right one s and then execute them one-by-one rebooting the PC sometimes blah blah it's painful as heck Checking all the updates you want and letting WU take-over is so much easier except that I can't afford either the time OR the bandwidth to do these downloads for each every computer I own Is there another way

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Any way to point Windows Updates to a local directory?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Any way to point Windows Updates to a local directory?

Hello!

Unfortunately, this is much easier said than done. It is possible, and I have written a few program scraps to prove viability, and early results are good for this being possible (very simply, ask Windows Update to perform a search for updates, but download only (this is very easy to do), scrape the SoftwareDistribution folder, and implant onto another computer (and before you try, you CANNOT just drop in this folder - it requires using parts of the contents etc. etc.))

So it does appear to be possible for a program (but not a human unless you have a very good knowledge of the SoftwareDistribution folder)

However, demand for such a program is not great, and I have only a limited amount of time to program. I literally have 27 programs for Windows Update bits and bobs which I want to make. Sadly I do not have the time for all of these, or this one. (Currently I am making an automated fixing tool for the 0x800B0100 error code, and a tool to automate certain procedures in the registry which are too complicated (and dangerous) for an average poster to perform)

The only thing you can use to simplify downloading is WSUS Offline: WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection

However, you will need to invest in all of the updates, so watch your downloading total.

I am really sorry that I could not be of more help, but unfortunately, this program is not going to be made

Richard

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/187750-any-way-point-windows-updates-local-directory.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi all,
Is there a way to point all new user logins to an existing local user profile in Windows 7? I want to avoid the process of having the new user's profile being copied from the Default profile so I can speed up login times. We use VMware View in non-persistent
mode so when the student logs out the desktop is nuked (kinda like DeepFreeze). Because of this every time the user logs in the Default profile gets copied over and it takes a long time. I do not want to use roaming profiles.
I found a product that does this (ForensIT's User Profile Manager 2.1) but unfortunately it does not do passthrough login from the VMware View Client, the user has to log in there
then log into the Windows desktop which is unacceptable.
I am at my wits end here :-(
Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4a453f2-a80f-4bea-996c-9835f430628a/point-all-new-users-at-same-local-profile-in-windows-7-to-speed-up-vdi-login-times?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 60.2%

If I install Win7 with SP1 integrated afresh now, it'll still have to slog through hours and GBs of updates most likely. So I was wondering, if for example I install IE11 manually, wouldn't that save the time taken to install updates for IE8 (or whatever version comes with SP1)? Same with the latest .NET perhaps? Or is this a foolish idea? Any other way to hasten the updates?

A:Any way to hasten Windows 7 updates at this point?

well; yes; you might be able to try doing it that way; however; in the end it might just end up taking the same amount of time to download and install the rest of the updates as the size of some of the other updates may just be as big as ie etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/367195-any-way-hasten-windows-7-updates-point.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I am setting up my own small network that include the following configuration :

Server : Windows 2000 Server with active directory
Clients : 5 clients

My question is :

Is there an easier way have the existing local account converted to active directory account.

Objective :

I want to be able to have the current user of the pc sign-on to an active directory account and be able to have all the access to the existing applications, email(outlook express), bookmarks etc. which have been there in the local pc before the active dierctory upgrade.

I found that once I log in the local pc to the active directory domain, everything start fresh. The "my document" is empty. Cant see all the setting/folders which have been set up before the conversion to active directory.

Appreciate any suggestion.

Thx
OzzieGUY

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-local-account-to-active-directory-account.372114/
Relevancy 56.76%

I've had this happen on a couple machines and a couple printers. A local printer is installed and working correctly. After installing some windows updates, all of a sudden the local printer won't print.

On one computer, the print queue shows the print job in the queue, spools and then prints successfully, but never actually physically prints.

On another computer, the print jobs that originally sent to the local printer, get re-directed to some other network printer.

I've already uninstalled and re-installed the printer with the latest drivers.

Relevancy 56.76%

I have clients that want a backup server in case of a failure of their main Windows AD server.

Would I be better off with backup/restore programs like Acronis True Image or Symantec System Restore or Symantec Ghost, or would I be better off setting up a second Active Directory server? Would the second AD server one take over if the first one failed? Would it replicate data and user settings etc? Would it add unneeded complexity for us and the clients?

Anyone who may have some insight to this, please give some suggestions.

A:Point of a second Active Directory server? Better than an Imaging backup?

Erunt is very good you can set it to back up the registry every day. Its free and can be got from here http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/point-of-a-second-active-directory-server-better-than-an-imaging-backup.613088/
Relevancy 56.33%

Screenshot Here

Just wondering what folders with these kinds of names are supposed to be.

They're empty and I'm doing a routine cleanup (where I delete all folders that I know are left behind from programs I've uninstalled. I usually clean everything up manually, then run CCleaner, then run the registry cleaner as well).

I've seen these several times but have never bothered to ask about them, and just let them be. But now I'll ask I suppose - any idea what these are for?

Perhaps they're just temporary folders used in some sort of process?

A:What are these folders in my \AppData\Local directory?

Those folders are created by the Windows Update, usual culprit is Windows Live and various components of it. For instance if you are using Live Mail client you will get these folders.

This issue is common and also previously discussed at the Seven Forums in for instance these threads:Empty folders in AppData/Local
AppData\Local - Folders with random characters
It's a minor bug in Update not to automatically delete these after the update has finished. You can read more and find a script to delete these at Microsoft Answers: What is creating the hex folders (hex names in curly braces) - Microsoft Community

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/286842-what-these-folders-my-appdata-local-directory.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have an active directory domain on my home lab. lets say its called example.local. If i wanted to set up an exchange server, how does my example.local name relate to email addresses? Lets say I wanted all email addresses to have @example.com instead of example.local. How is this done? I've Googled with no luck because i think my terminology is bad.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/active-directory-example-local-domain-names.921290/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi sorry if this is in the wrong thread but every time i try to run a particular msi i get this 'installation directory must be on a local hard drive' Its not the msi as ive tested it on another computer The msi a .msi on local be drive' must hard 'installation directory is a plugin tool called t-splines by autodesk Ive also tried older versions with the same error Things i've tried so far sys restore safe mode right click - take ownership I uninstalled zip which i already had then reinstalled with the msi from the website to test if it was all msi however it actually worked I was looking around for other msi install software just to test it but can't find any Any help guys is really appreciated or if you could point me in the direction of some msi files which i can test on my rig edit .msi 'installation directory must be on a local hard drive' just tried a few other msi's i had on my computer .msi 'installation directory must be on a local hard drive' and i get the error Thanks

A:.msi 'installation directory must be on a local hard drive'

I would try opening the Services Applet in Control Panel. Scroll down to RPC and see if the service is started. The error you posted is RPC Server Busy. But it might mean the service is not running.

Chances are you'll get more focused help on this Forum

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/266804-msi-installation-directory-must-local-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello, sorry for being a bit thick but should I remove the .tmp files from the above directory and is it safe to do so?

A:c user appdata local temp directory

Hello David, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Yes, it's safe to delete your temp files.
Temporary Files - Temp FolderIf you like, you could use Disk Cleanup every so often to cleanup temp and junk files instead. I personally like using the free CCleaner to do so though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298215-c-user-appdata-local-temp-directory.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I'd like a About (Win-7) directory local "thumbs.db" file photo in to have the thumbs db file created in its own images' directory - like it was done in Windows XP - not in some deep subdirectory of windows userprofile AppData Local Microsoft Windows Explorer where I can't tell which-is-which's The reason I want it is this I have noticed that when i burn a About "thumbs.db" file in a local photo directory (Win-7) cd dvd with lots of photos in a folder when trying to preview thumbnails of the photos from the cd dvd the thumbnails creation takes a long long long time But About "thumbs.db" file in a local photo directory (Win-7) IF like in WinXP I had burned the thumbs db of the correspondent folder together with the photos then the thumbnails' preview appear in a blinking of an eye Is there some way to tell Windows to store this thumbs' About "thumbs.db" file in a local photo directory (Win-7) cache file in each photo directory PS googling for this matter the only thing that I found reffered to network stored photos and how to delete the thumbs-cache file s I'm interesting not in network but the Locally created thumbs db file Thanks in advance Nick

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614502/about-thumbsdb-file-in-a-local-photo-directory-win-7/
Relevancy 55.04%

Ok, so I just upgraded to W7 and was going through a process of organizing the "libraries" and I noticed (possibly of my own doing but am not sure) that the second drive in my system (B) was sitting there in my user folder. My question is, is that normal? How did it get there and how do I correct it if it isn't suppose to be there. Here is a picture of what I am talking about...

A:Local Disk inside User Directory (folder)

hey, what you must have done is drug it over there by accident, as you can see it is still located were it is supposed to be further below, all you did was add a link to it. so you can safely erase the link, or ignore it, its up to you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/133628-local-disk-inside-user-directory-folder.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Ok, so I just upgraded to W7 and was going through a process of organizing the "libraries" and I noticed (possibly of my own doing but am not sure) that the second drive in my system (B) was sitting there in my user folder. My question is, is that normal? How did it get there and how do I correct it if it isn't suppose to be there. Here is a picture of what I am talking about...

[/URL][/IMG]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-disk-inside-user-directory-folder.970920/
Relevancy 54.61%

I've searched long and hard for an answer to this but I've found very little info on it so I'm starting to wonder if it's at all possible On some of our quot Presenter PC's quot at work it Shared Into to a Active Force Directory Log Profile. Users Local has been deemed that the creation Force Active Directory Users to Log Into a Shared Local Profile. of a new account from the Default profile takes too long when logging into Active Directory and slows presenting down too much Our Default profile is probably around Mb due to the contents of the image after deployment and how every application is tailored for Force Active Directory Users to Log Into a Shared Local Profile. use hence the AppData folder takes the bulk of the size up and it's not an option to remove it These PC's are for now at least but hopefully not for much longer locked down by Deep Freeze which resets all changes to all files when the PC is rebooted so a shared profile is not a problem at this point in time What I want to know is whether there is ANY way to make it so that a user authenticating to Active Directory can ALWAYS be forced into a pre-configured local profile running on Win Pro I've been looking at credential providers and replacing USERINIT exe I'm just not sure which part of the process actually tells the PC which profile to use I know that the registry is checked for the user GUID and if not present creates a new entry and copies the Default profile but I don't know quite where this is called and how to modify it My programming knowledge limited to a bit of CMD and AutoIt but I do know a few coders so if we really have to get our hands dirty on this it isn't the end of the world I should also add I've recently been toying with taking the AppData folder outside of the Default profile and creating a SymLink to it but upon copying the Default profile to a new profile much quicker and more acceptable the SymLink is lost and replaced with a relatively empty set of folders which can't be deleted and replaced with a SymLink because the LSASS exe process is using it and obviously you can't stop that process Making the PC log into a local profile on startup is also not an option because a user MUST log into AD to not be in breach of our AUP and all network drives must be availalbe mapped by GPo and login script Any help is more than welcome at this point in time as I've pretty much exhausted all avenues that I know of and have turned to you helpful folk nbsp Cheers

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/02a76836-ba02-43d5-b414-aea668275a9b/force-active-directory-users-to-log-into-a-shared-local-profile?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 53.75%

trying to install visual studio code and this message pops up immediately.

"Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\users\tom\appdata\local\temp\*.tmp"
error 5 access is denied

I tried taking ownership at appdata point but still no go. Is there some permission or other problem I may be overlooking?
Visual Studio Community installed like a charm.

A:unable to create the directory "C:\users\tom\appdata\local\temp\*.tmp

When you open the program to install this code do so by right clicking and selecting run as administrator. This might provide the necessary privileges to complete the operation. This is sometimes necessary even if you are already an administrator.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/45779-unable-create-directory-c-users-tom-appdata-local-temp-tmp.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My Windows computers are joined to an Azure Active permission? Directory Can Azure I computer Active block user without joining local from an Directory without my permission Can I block local computer from joining an Azure Active Directory without user permission? I did not actively join an Azure AD on the settings accounts access work or school account page or on the System about page When I go to any of these settings pages there is not option to join or leave an Azure AD I also found a provisioning package being applied to the computer at logon Presumably coming from the Azure AD that the computer is linked to How do I disconnect my computers from whatever active directory they are Can I block local computer from joining an Azure Active Directory without user permission? joined Can I block local computer from joining an Azure Active Directory without user permission? to Details The computers are personal home use computers that should not be joined to any organization's active directory Every time a new computer is setup in my house it gets joined to an unknown Azure Active Directory During setup and subsequent updates the computers are automatically joined to some active directory without input from the local user The computers are new and have not had any additional apps added All security settings have been changed to not allow sharing of any type Default user accounts have been disabled The computers have not been used for anything aside from surfing the web for a solution They are out of the box with setup and updates completed Event Log viewer shows remote power shell commands being executed event Device management-enterprise-diagnostics- reports System migration tasks completed event Windows Remote Management reports Activity Transfer Event These events seem to be related to the computers being linked to an active directory somewhere On the settings-account-join a work or school account there is an option to quot Export your management log files quot which exports an XML to Users public Documents MDMDiagnostics The log file shows pages of code being provisioned to the home use computers TCPview shows the home computers trying to or connecting to various computers around the world at various times when a browser is open on the Google search page with no other web pages open I assume all this activity is related to the active directory the home computers have been linked to Whatever is happening with these new computers seems to be a serious security threat related to Windows quot join an azure active directory quot These home computers should not be connecting to or trying to connect to computers in the Ukraine Croatia Canada England Germany etc when no web pages are open aside from a google search screen I have been searching the web for months to figure out how to disable the join an azure active directory feature on new computers I have contacted Microsoft support desk visited a Microsoft store for technical help and contacted McAfee support to no avail All technical assistance ended at level support telling me they do not know how to correct the issue and to take the computers back to the store or contact the computer manufactures to get the setup disks and rebuild the computer After new computers I would prefer to have a different solution If anybody has had a similar situation please provide information on how to disconnect the local computers from the active directory they are attached to and disable or block them from ever being joined to an Azure Active Directory again Thank you

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439917-can-i-block-local-computer-joining-azure-active-directory-without-user-permission.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have desktop computers in 2 remote sites, that were all from the same image.  The image was made at the regional headquarters.  Both sites have a wsus mirror server on site that they are reporting to, but they are usually (not always) pulling
their updates via branchcache from a non wsus server at the regional headquarters (and eating up a lot of bandwidth).  Computers not made from this image do not have this issue. 

I've already tried doing a 'netsh branchcache reset' on all the desktops with this image, but it has not had any effect. 

-any other commands I can run on the desktops or the non-wsus server that would fix this? 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0f5056e3-cecd-4b0c-b90a-e634b3b613c0/branchcache-pulling-windows-updates-from-remote-branchcache-and-not-local-server?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 50.74%

I am working on a friend s computer that was infected with the Think Point malware The malware seemed to disappear the next day when I went back with updated Malwarebytes and AVG It looked like it was removed once I was able to get Malwarebytes updated and the updates Think Point malware,cannot get AVG ran It got rid of item and the computer seemed ok at that point Later that night he was having the same symptom computer was rebooting in a continious loop I was able to get it to boot into Windows XP after doing a repair CHKDSK didn t help previously The problems I have now is a pop up from a program that is trying to finish an install called status Since I did a repair I cannot get any Microsoft updates I keep getting page cannot be displayed when trying to get Think Point malware,cannot get updates Microsoft updates through the browser tools I do have Internet access If I google Microsoft updates and click on any Think Point malware,cannot get updates Microsoft links I get re-directed to a different site I have flushed the DNS cache ran disk cleanup host file is ok emptied Temporary Internet Files Temp Files Scans from AVG and Malwarebytes are ok not picking up anything Running Windows XP Pro sp IE GB of ram Quad CPU Thanks Mike

A:Think Point malware,cannot get updates

Hello,You are likely still infected. Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/363256/think-point-malwarecannot-get-updates/
Relevancy 50.74%

The last round (3-12) of nine Windows updates (included KB 2919442 the "spring release / Win 8.1 update 1") Usually when the installation starts one thing you see is "creating a restore point' - that did not happen this time for me. Found that strange but figured maybe a day later the system would create one - it didn't. I know I can create one manually but am wondering if anyone else has seen the same thing ?

Edit: Answer System Restore creates a restore point before the installation of CRITICAL Updates, not important.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/42621-restore-point-last-win-updates.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Because windows 7 is getting really slow, I decided to start fresh with it. Going into system restore, I find the original restore point. As I click on it, it says the file is not found. My "backup recovery" drive is a partitioned C drive. Could I find this file? Or Could I somehow format my harddrive or reset to factory defaults or anything to start fresh?

Compaq Presario CQ61-420US notebbook
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
3 GB ram
Amd Athlon II Dual Core M320

A:Restoring windows to original point, can't find restore point

Back up any important files that you want to keep first.
Use an External drive, flash drive or CD/DVD.

Quote:
Restore the PC to its original condition using the f11 key if Windows 7 is not accessible
Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager from within Windows 7

Quote:
Create a set of operating system recovery discs

You can use HP Recovery Manager to create a personal set of recovery discs. When you select the Recovery disc creation process, the HP Recovery Manager examines the PC and determines how many blank DVD discs will be required. Depending on the model, you will need up to three DVD-R or DVD+R (Non-read/writeable) discs. The creation process can take up to an hour or more. Do not interrupt the creation process.

Recover Windows 7 Operating System Using HP Recovery Compaq Presario CQ61-420US Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Post back if any questions, plus let us know how it's going.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/228600-restoring-windows-original-point-cant-find-restore-point.html
Relevancy 50.74%

We are leasing out Windows 8.1 tablet devices to our clients in the City. These tablets are stand alone and are not on any kind of active directory or domains. However, we do have administrator access to the tablets for software/driver updates.
Is there a way for us to push updates (msi and exe) packages to these tablets remotely and more effectively than remote desktop? Since all these tablets will require the same updates each time there is an update released by us, we would like to push the
update and install to all of our tablets out there. What are some available software out there that I can buy/download to help me automate the task? I would like to be able to sit at my desk and push updates to all the tablets. Remember, these tablets are
not connected to each other and they are not on our LAN or active directory.
Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1d8c5e44-44fa-49c5-a55f-1b91260f224b/how-to-deploy-push-out-updates-remotely-on-to-pc-that-is-not-on-lan-or-active-directory?forum=netmon
Relevancy 50.31%

im just curious on if updating your system bios is worth it or what exactly it would do--
i was looking @ a few driver sites that have my manufacturer (phoenix technologies) but there is a huge list and im not sure how to find the one i need---if i need it---

just curious

A:bios updates install/point?

You can upgrade the system BIOS for sure. But first of all you need to download the exact driver depending on the motherboard you've. The exact model or else it could cause a lot of problems for you. Might not be able to access even the HDD at bootup. So need to be very careful when you upgrade the BIOS driver.

Upgrading the BIOS is a good option but it has to be done very very carefully.

There was another thread where the person was having a few problems(a few fatal exceptions, blue screens) he was able to solve it by upgrading his BIOS, audio and may be also video drivers. So BIOS upgrade is OK.

Now this is the most important thing - If everything is working fine then let it be and no need to fix it.

Hope this helps...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-updates-install-point.92844/
Relevancy 49.45%

I m "Active Domain Directory shutdown Services local unavailable" PC. Can't trying to remotely shutdown another PC in my home from my Desktop PC My Desktop PC is bit Win Home but I don t think it matters since a Google search shows every version of Windows AFTER XP has this problem I have the Win Preview running on a computer in another room I d like to be able to shut it down remotely from my primary Win computer To do this I run quot shutdown I quot from the command prompt The dialog appears but when I try to quot Browse quot the network for the other PC I get an error message telling me quot Active Directory Domain Services unavailable quot This happens whether I do this from the Win PC or the Win PC so I know it s not a hardware or OS specific thing It also happens if I try to do the same directly from the CLI I don t want to have to setup a Server just to do this one tiny thing Any ideas TIA nbsp

A:Can't shutdown local PC. "Active Directory Domain Services unavailable"

When you say remotely do you mean Remote Desktop? If so, have you tried pressing Ctrl_Alt_End and then clicking on shutdown?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-shutdown-local-pc-active-directory-domain-services-unavailable.214692/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi I'd like to have the quot thumbs db quot file created in its own images' directory - like it was done in Windows XP - not in some deep subdirectory of windows userprofile AppData Local Microsoft Windows Explorer where I can't tell which-is-which's The reason I want it is this I have noticed that when i burn a cd dvd with lots of photos in a folder directory Created photo have a in file to How local "thumbs.db" when trying to preview thumbnails of the photos from the cd dvd the thumbnails quot creation quot takes a long long long time But IF like in WinXP I had burned the quot thumbs db quot of the correspondent folder together with the photos How to have "thumbs.db" file Created in a local photo directory then the thumbnails' preview appear in a blinking of an eye Is there some way to quot tell quot Windows to store this thumbs' cache file in each photo directory PS googling for this matter the only thing that I found reffered to network stored photos and how to delete the quot thumbs-cache quot How to have "thumbs.db" file Created in a local photo directory file s I'm interesting not in network but the Locally created thumbs db file Thanks in advance Nick

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/396324-how-have-thumbs-db-file-created-local-photo-directory.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi all - I have had a Dell Inspiron 3520 for 3 weeks now. It has had 2 Windows Updates in that time. Both times I lost Internet connection and any way of connecting. The connection bar for the wi-fi was on, connection good but no Internet. After a lot of chat with Dell I did a System restore to Factory settings the first time (16 days ago). I also did a restore point once I'd re-set everything up again.

2 days ago the same thing happened after a Windows update and I also could not locate the restore point so it was back to Factory settings.

I've tried Dell again online chat at work but they insist on me talking again to someone online which takes a lot of time.

Has anyone seen this before and do you have any ideas/suggestions/workarounds?

Thanks

A:Losing Internet and System restore point after Updates

I would suggest for laptop is to check for the latest BIOS. Go to setup or run system info to find out the BIOS version your system currently have. Last week I helped a friend with a problem installing Windows 8 in his DELL laptop and it turned out that he needs to update the BIOS.

The problem you are having is unrelated to his, but to insure that you have the latest BIOS. Try this first then we can go from there.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/15775-losing-internet-system-restore-point-after-updates.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi In response to a system update I selected all updates both recommended and optional and let them be installed After rebooting the screen came back in x It occurred to me that the brilliant system update did not make the best recommendation and it had probably reapply rollback after point? restore to to updates specific how a written over my display driver After looking around for advice I wanted to roll back just the display driver but in the driver properties this option was not available So I rolled back the system to the last restore point prior to the update Voila my screen came back to native resolution and my machine how to reapply specific updates after rollback to a restore point? works again However now there are important updates several of them security related how to reapply specific updates after rollback to a restore point? which show up in the update history but which are probably not actually applied now When I run the system update it only comes with new update In the update history log it shows the updates which how to reapply specific updates after rollback to a restore point? have been rolled back with the date on which they were originally applied So I think that the log is probably wrong How to reapply them I thought the logical thing would be to right-click on each update in the log and select reapply - but that does not exist Any geniuses out there who can point me in the right direction Thanks in advance W Home Premium on Asus U

A:how to reapply specific updates after rollback to a restore point?

Simply go to Windows Update and install whatever is offered.
The History is just that - a log of what happened. The important listing is the Installed Updates one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/254140-how-reapply-specific-updates-after-rollback-restore-point.html
Relevancy 49.02%

If I have three computers on local network and only one has internet access will this update all machines on local network?

A:Updates on Local Network

Yeah - this is a great option. It does not entirely stop getting stuff from internet as it is basically a torrent system, but is much faster and much reduces download demand

A torrent system basically extacts bits of a file from multiple sources, so each serving pc does not have to upload whole file (uploading usually being slower than downloading), and receiving pc glues it all together again. So you might get 5 pcs uploading a fifth each of the file at the same time, and pc can download all five parts simultaneously as download is usually several times faster than upload. It actually works in much smaller increments, but the principle is the same.

I always update my fast pc first, leaving my other slower devices switched off. Then I turn on other devices, and you see the hdd flicking away as it serves the updates to the other devices.

Do not enable last option as it will 'steal' bandwidth from you.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/41718-updates-local-network.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Every time I power off computer it says I have updates to install The only update showing is a go updates on restore to computer install to powerdown Cannot point single and says every needs a it skype update I also get a random quot Help for Skype quot browser pop Cannot go to a restore point and computer says it needs to install updates on every single powerdown up screen at times When I have tried to go to a restore point it says it is unable to do that The restore point problem started before the power down problem I have had two warnings from Norton and Windows that there was a virus attack that was prevented in the recent past I am hoping to get some help to see if some malware is causing this issue DDS is attached DDS Cannot go to a restore point and computer says it needs to install updates on every single powerdown Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Rim at on - - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium GMT - AV Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live Cannot go to a restore point and computer says it needs to install updates on every single powerdown Anti-Virus Enabled Updated FF - D -CE B- ECB-E A A AV Norton AntiVirus Enabled Updated DF - - D- - DC EFD BF SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Norton AntiVirus Enabled Updated D BEB -B A- E - B -B B SP Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live Enabled Updated - EE-C E - B-DC BDD BAB Running Processes C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows Microsoft Net Framework v WPF PresentationFontCache exe C Windows system svchost exe -k rpcss C Windows system Ati evxx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k GPSvcGroup C Windows system SLsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system WLANExt exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Program Files x Belkin Router Setup and Monitor BelkinService exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Belkin Belkin USB Print and Storage Center BkBackupScheduler exe C Program Files Belkin Belkin USB Print and Storage Center Bkapcs exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Windows system svchost exe -k bthsvcs C Program Files x TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFProcSRVC exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exe C Program Files x Norton AntiVirus Engine ccSvcHst exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Program Files Common Files Intel WirelessCommon RegSrvc exe C Program Files Serviio bin ServiioService exe C Program Files Serviio bin ServiioService exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Service Station TMachInfo exe C Program Files x Toshiba TOSHIBA DVD PLAYER TNaviSrv exe C Windows system TODDSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TosCoSrv exe C Program Files x Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA SMARTLogService TosIPCSrv exe C Program Files x Common Files Ulead Systems DVD ULCDRSvr exe C Windows System svchost exe -k WerSvcGroup C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files x Yahoo SoftwareUpdate YahooAUService exe C Program Files x Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDWinSec exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files x Common Files Intuit Update Service IntuitUpdateService exe C Program Files x Common Files Intuit Update Service v IntuitUpdateService exe C Windows system svchost exe -k WindowsMobile C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Program Files TOSHIBA SmartFaceV SmartFaceVWatchSrv exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files x Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exe C Windows system wbem unsecapp exe C Win... Read more

A:Cannot go to a restore point and computer says it needs to install updates on every single powerdown

Greetings rmilunas and to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary. If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that. ===================================================Ground Rules:First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance. Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me about it.
When you post your reply, do not use the button but use the button instead.
In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.Now let's get started ===================================================Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.Thank you for your patience thus far. Please allow me some time to review the information you have provided. I will post back as soon as possible.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479814/cannot-go-to-a-restore-point-and-computer-says-it-needs-to-install-updates-on-every-single-powerdown/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi there Maurice Naggar has given the following advice to a lady having a similar problem to me Hi and welcome to complete loop 0% of - stage point 3 3 Configuring command - updates: No Bleepingcomputer forum Please review and do the following For x x bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive For x bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x and save it to a flash drive Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC Enter System Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete loop - No command point Recovery Options To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options Restart Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete loop - No command point the computer Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete loop - No command point As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F key until Advanced Boot Options appears Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item Select English as the keyboard language settings and then click Next Select the operating system you want to repair and then click Next Select your user account an click Next I have downloaded the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to flash drive and started up my laptop with the usb stick inserted I kept pressing F but I get a black screen with the following on it No bootable partition in table Can anyone help me get further I'm tearing my hair out

A:Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete loop - No command point

Generally...you should not advice/suggestions given comeone else...for malware issues.  The circumstances may be completely different...the person assisting you may have a different approach as to what tools might be useful...the "problem" may be completely different, even if it seems "the same" to you.

Moving topic to Am I Infected forum where you can provide pertinent details that may help someone to help you.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510716/configuring-updates-stage-3-of-3-0-complete-loop-no-command-point/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi there I have another post on this that was moved by a moderator but I'm not sure why it was put here as I've been told it is a bug in the most recent Microsoft update http www bleepingcomputer com forums t configuring-updates-stage- -of- - -complete-loop-no-command-point p On Feb another member posted the information below and I am having the exact same problems Can somebody please help me My laptop running Windows Vista continues to loop with the message Configuring updates stage of - complete Do not turn off your computer This has been looping for days now It displays this screen upon loading for approximately minutes before restarting itself and loading exactly the same screen So far this is what I have tried Do nothing - same screen but continuous looping of the screen every or so minutes Pressing F - goes into the stage of screen Pressing F then Safe mode - lists of loaded things numbers then a please wait then same screen as before Safe mode with networking - lists of numbers then a please wait then same screen Safe mode with command prompt - lists of numbers then a please wait then same screen Last known good configuration advanced - same screen Directory services restore mode - lists of loaded things numbers then turns laptop up upon switching on again choice of of stage point 3 0% loop No Configuring complete 3 - command updates: - start windows in repair doesn't let me do that or normally - back to same screen again Debugging mode - same screen Disable automatic restart on system failure - same screen Disable driver signature enforcement - same screen Start windows normally - same screen Disable automatic restart on system failure goes to Same screen upon restart F then safe mode - results same as above Disable automatic restart on Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete loop - No command point system failure goes to same screen upon restart F then same mode with networking - results as above I do not have a Windows recovery disc Windows Vista was pre installed on my laptop I can't get the Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete loop - No command point command prompt and when I run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool I get the following error message 'No bootable partition in table ' PLEASSSSSSSE HELP

A:Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete loop - No command point

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/510799 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510799/configuring-updates-stage-3-of-3-0-complete-loop-no-command-point/
Relevancy 48.59%

I run a small stand-alone network that has no connectivity to the internet. I currently download Microsoft updates and antivirus dats from an internet connected pc, burn them to a cd then copy them to one of the computers on the stand-alone network. I then "pull" the updates manually from each machine on the stand-alone network.

Is there a way to configure these XP boxes to look to a certain local location for updates?

Any help would be appreciated.

Powerhouserod

A:pointing XP to a local machine for updates

I think the "Automatic Updates" feature that's part of the OS is configured to only connect to Microsoft servers; I can't see there being a way to change this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pointing-xp-to-a-local-machine-for-updates.651786/
Relevancy 48.59%

With the setting as shown on the attached screen shot, does the PC send updates to other PCs directly through router without passing through internet, i.e. does this setting save internet data volume?

A:Send updates to PCs on my local network

Yes, if you keep this setting enabled your computers will act as a update cache for your other Windows 10 devices and it will reduce internet usage.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/70173-send-updates-pcs-my-local-network.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I m running into an extremely irritating problem We are on a Win K platform here and for the most part all floor workstations are Win k too However perform user updates... Power Local cannot we recently started upgrading to WinXP Pro Therefore we have about pc s Local Power user cannot perform updates... with Pro on them Here s the problem We recently rolled out JDE One World which is not XP certified Therefore because the user is not in the local admin group they cannot perform weekly updates to the software Basically they have to log out I have to log on as the domain admin and perform the updates I ve tried changing the perms for the folders of Local Power user cannot perform updates... the application and I ve tried creating local power users and adding the user But no matter what the settings keep going back to the original configuration and the user cannot do updates I Local Power user cannot perform updates... really need to get this resolved soon because we are adding more and more XP Pro workstations to our floor JDE says that we should add the user to the local admin My System Admin does not want to do this Any ideas Syndi nbsp

A:Local Power user cannot perform updates...

Im guessing that your sys admin does not want them installing a bunch of crap on his pc's? How bouyt just giving them admin but enable driver signing. Chances are most users won't know how to get around that......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-power-user-cannot-perform-updates.247625/
Relevancy 47.73%

hi everyone
up untill a few days agao, my sky connection worked fine. but after the usual updates that vista runs, my connection stopped working and went to local only.
my dad is on XP and his works fine, so does my brothers XBOX live. i've tried everything i can think of. but i just don't know what to do.

can anyone think of something to sort it out?

A:vista updates- turned sky connection to local only

Are the Xp and Xbox still connected to sky?
Are you connected to the sky modem?
I think there may be a possibility your adapter may have given up for a ghost!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/233079-vista-updates-turned-sky-connection-local-only.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Folks - At my new job we are running about 16 PC's on a network and app.'s like outlook and some specific chapter 13 software..My question is.......if I sit down to a PC login as admin and start MS updates, then cannot make it make to the PC to complete them, can the user of that PC just login as them with their password and continue working normally, or can't they just cold reboot the PC then login and every thing's fine??? It is my understanding that if they return to their PC and see that an admin was logged in, they just needed to change it to their user name and password and everything's fine...?? YES or NO ???

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-rights-on-local-machine-while-installing-ms-updates.711030/
Relevancy 44.29%

I installed ATA in my environment yesterday and the server alerted me to my AADSync server.  I allowed the activity, but I'm wondering if it is best practice to install the (Lightweight) Gateway on the AADSync server?
AADSync server is running Windows 2008 R2 without any roles installed.  Microsoft Azure AD Connect is the only service running on this server.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e3885677-a01c-4c62-aca8-537d802a191d/malicious-replication-of-directory-services-azure-active-directory-sync?forum=mata
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and have a question. I recently had to set my system back to factory settings. Now when I go to a new web site using Firefox I get the following error message...

"Javascript task directory does not exist. Please change to home directory."

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate version, 32-bit with both Service pack 1 and 2 installed. I have no idea of how to correct this problem and I know everyone on this forum are brilliant! So any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks!

A:Javascript task directory does not exist. Please change to home directory.

Hi osprey1111,

Have you checked to see if you have Java installed: http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

Have you enabled: http://www.activatejavascript.org/en/instructions/firefox

Regards........................

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504391/javascript-task-directory-does-not-exist-please-change-to-home-directory/
Relevancy 43.86%

I just installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on an HP Envy m6 laptop. I went to check for updates due to the fact that this laptop originally had Windows 8.1. Windows updates just keeping Checking for updates with the green progress bar keeps turning and
turning. I had this problem awhile back and there is an issue with two KB files which are windows update agents but I did not write them down. Does anybody have that information?
Thanking you in advance,
Dennis Sturgill

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0de5f859-9f60-4f37-bd1d-5b321bf9fc00/after-fresh-install-of-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-then-running-windows-updates-it-just-keeps?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 43.86%

For the past day windows wants to install the same updates over and over I have windows update set to download and let me choose when to install I can't understand why I even need them as I uninstalled net framework Notice how the update at AM KB is the same as one of the updates every for for 7 updates time it checks same updates updates Windows installed at PM Windows 7 updates same for updates every time it checks for updates Windows wants to install the same four kb files again How do I stop this Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB Installation date PM Installation status Successful Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB Installation date PM Installation status Successful Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB Installation date PM Installation status Successful Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB Installation date PM Installation status Successful Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB Installation date AM Installation status Successful

A:Windows 7 updates same for updates every time it checks for updates

See if you can System Restore to before Net Framework 4 was installed and then Hide it when it is again offered in Updates.

But be aware that some programs will need it and may not prompt you of this leaving you to guess why they are not installing or performing correctly. For this reason I always install it.

So you might want to reinstall it using its standalone installer since it may not have uninstalled correctly anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/235871-windows-7-updates-same-updates-every-time-checks-updates.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a 10 files that have all been categorised into about 40 folders. These files have been damaged.
I have a backup of all these files, but they are not categorised and sit in a single directory.

Does anyone know of an easy technique to batch replace the damaged files with the originals?

Cannot find any apps to do such a task.

A:Replace files in multiple directory, from a single directory

Easy one:

Built in command part of Windows. Open an elevated Command Prompt and type:

Code:
replace /?
Here is how:

Folder with Backup files:

C:\Data\Backups

Folders with corrupt files:

E:\Finance\Statements\2001
E:\Finance\Statements\2002
E:\Finance\Statements\2003
E:\Finance\Statements\2004
E:\Finance\Statements\2005
E:\Finance\Statements\2006
E:\Finance\Statements\2007

Code:
Replace c:\data\backup\*.* e:\finance\statements /s

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/137637-replace-files-multiple-directory-single-directory.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I need some help in figuring out how to copy a whole bunch of files from a directory tree to a single directory. I looked at all the xcopy switches, but none of them look like they will do what I want it to do. If I use the /S switch, it will keep the directory structure. Any ideas?

A:Help with copying files from a directory tree to a single directory

Do you have XP up & started? Why not just go into explorer, highlight all you need (CTRL + A to highlight everything), copy & paste?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-with-copying-files-from-a-directory-tree-to-a-single-directory-72325.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi there.. is there someone that could help me out? I've searched and searched but have not found a satisfying error free answer yet..: (well, 2 questions actually...)
I want to move the entire User Folder in my Vista OS in a different alltogether hard drive.
instead of c:\users\myusername...I want something like f:\my_folder_users\myusername
This would also apply to os folders such as AppData, and default location of file allocation, ie Microsoft or Adobe.
I am aware that you can move specific user folders but not the entire tree... Any help with that?

I want to move the default target installation directory for any new application... I mean you can do it the manual way but some of the programs may not allow this, or even addons...

Any help greatly appreciated...
M.

A:Moving the User directory & default installation directory

I'm not answering this with any great confidence that you are not going to get into trouble here, but the default locations for the "current user" -- what you are talking about in item 1 -- are covered in this registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

You might find some more information here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_shell_folders.htm

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a way to get setup programs to automatically offer that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-the-user-directory-default-installation-directory.565451/
Relevancy 43%

So i have 3 files i cannot delete after uninstalling a game. I also cannot rename the folder they are in without windows explorer not responding and i have to restart explorer.

I did take ownership method but that froze up to. I went into safe mode, and tried it that way - also didn't delete, it equally froze up.

I have attached an image of the delete attempt - it just gets stuck like that.

I'm out of options - please advise on what i should do ?

A:Files won't delete in directory - can't rename the directory either

What is drive F? Is it a flash drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372294-files-wont-delete-directory-cant-rename-directory-either.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I would like to restrict anyone except Administrators from installing Windows Updates on my Windows 8.1 Pro x64 ENG machine.

In Windows 7 it's easy:
Control Panel / Settings / Windows Updates / change settings:
"Allow all users to install Windows Updates" -- uncheck to disable.

Is there a similar setting in Windows 8.1 via Control Panel GUI, secpol.mmc or regedit? I can't find it.

Thanks, all!

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/60867-restrict-local-users-group-installing-updates.html
Relevancy 41.71%

“Computer Networks” book by ANDREW S. TANENBAUM Ed4th Article 5.5.2 How Networks Can be Connected page 421 (Figure 5-44) he says:

“------Now let us consider the same situation but with two Ethernets connected by a pair of routers instead of a switch. The routers are connected by a point-to-point, possibly a leased line thousands of kilometers long.”.

Here he mentioned physical leased (dedicated) line.

Is practically (real life) this line available for thousand of kilometers ?

Relevancy 41.28%

Windows XP Home SP1
I am helping a lady that her harddrive went bad so Dell put in a new one. I put the antivirus and some programs back on for her but I went to windows updates cause there should be a whole lot of updates there such as sp1 and all the updates that sp1 would have now (I told her she does not want sp2 right now) so where do I get the updates and how do I know what updates should be downloaded, it does not show any updates in add/remove programs and at the windows update site it only showed one update which I downloaded, but there has to be a whole bunch, anyone know anything about this?? Where to get the ones she needs and what ones they are??, Hope so Thanks

A:Windows XP Home SP1-Can't find windows updates, at the site but no updates, Please He

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-home-sp1-cant-find-windows-updates-at-the-site-but-no-updates-please-he.295348/
Relevancy 41.28%

I am trying to create an "End-User" Friend Company Directory site that links to field in Active Directory.

Active Directory is currently hosted on Server 2003 with latest Service packs.

I have seen several pieces of software such as People Updater/Finder most of which do more than I want to do.

Any suggestions on a CHEAP or even FREE solution?

Thanks.

-- BS

A:Active Directory to Company Directory

How often will you update this?

If its a one time deal, excel, Dsquery/ dsget and a little vbs/ JS can get you done... querying the LDAP is not too hard to put into a txt file or xls. Cleaning it up can be depending on how much you want to put into the development.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/active-directory-to-company-directory.929149/
Relevancy 41.28%

Following the directions outlined in Change Directory in Command Prompt including enabling command extensions outlined in Command Line does not permit the CD command to change the directory focus to a directory with a space in its name. I am trying to set the active directory prompt to C:\Users\Owner\My Documents. I can get to C:\Users\Owner but with command extensions enabled in administrator mode (CMD E:ON) the CD command will not accept My Documents as a valid directory name within Owner. The error I get is "The system cannot find the path specified." My goal is to get a directory tree (as a file) of the directories and files in My Documents with the DIR command when in that directory. The complete DOS line for that command would read C:\Users\Owner\My Documents>DIR /o:n /s > DirTreeList.txt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Cannot change directory (CD) to a directory with space in the name

Welcome to Seven Forums utnatw7f387. I'm far from an expert, but will throw out something simple until the smart people see this. have you tried

C:\Users\Owner\My\ Documents>DIR /o:n /s > DirTreeList.txt

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303213-cannot-change-directory-cd-directory-space-name.html
Relevancy 41.28%

A really stupid question, but perhaps for that reason I cannot find the answer stated explicitly anywhere:

With regard to the threat description used in Windows update documentation, I have always assumed that a "local attacker" is someone actually sitting at my desk. Is this correct?

In this case, presumably an "authenticated local attacker" is someone sitting at my desk who has got hold of my password?

If the answer to both questions is 'yes' then I guess there is really no point in my installing updates involving a 'local' threat?

Incidentally, while trying to find the answer with Google I ended up with a 'captcha' page, apparently to check I wasn't a robot! My machine was sending unusual traffic or something. My numerous searches with slightly different choice of words must have triggered something. Weird and scary!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-attacker-updates.205594/
Relevancy 41.28%

I keep getting Error message: Install Failure after Windows updates are downloaded and Windows attempts to install those updates.

The download is successfull, however, after Windows 7 attempts to install those updates I get this message:

Configuring Windows Update. Do Not Turn off computer.

After Windows attempts the installations of those updates, I get the following message: Failure configuring Service Pack. Reverting Changes. Error_install_failure (0x80070643).

I contacted Microsoft on the problem via emails....they went through a number of trouble shooting techniques....but after all of their recommendations, all they could tell me was to reinstall Windows 7.

I really would not like to do that. Do you have any idea what the problem is?

I have HP Pavilian dv6-3010 us Entertainment Notebook
Windows7, 64bit syatem, 8 gigabytes of Ram, 320Gig Hard Drive
Thanks
Dieter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-after-downloading-current-updates-failes-to-complete-intall-of-updates.1015802/
Relevancy 41.28%

As the title says, I have problems with Windows Update. I tried some fixes like: Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components, Reset_Windows_Update_History, MicrosoftFixit50362 (which is a Microsoft Installer Fixer that couldn't install PowerShell), MicrosoftFixit50202. But what I really need is installing .NET Framework 4. I tried forcing it to install, installing it step by step, but it couldn't go further than .NET Framework 3.5. I need that Framework, the other updates don't really matter. And the interesting thing is that my antivirus doesn't say that Windows is not up-to-date, which is not normal, in ESET Smart Security, if Windows is not up-to-date.
If specs matter:
6 GB RAM
AMD Athlon ll X4 750K
AMD Radeon R7 240 4GB GDDR3
Vista SP2

cbs.txt:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/jsoeje0nxt30g5u/cbs.txt

I don't know how to obtain CheckSUR.log.

A:Windows Update stuck at Checking for Updates and can't install Updates manually

Hi antoniu200:

Many other Vista users have reported that Windows Update seems to get stuck at "Checking for updates..." for long periods of time, and this problem dates back to the August 2015 Patch Tuesday updates - see my screenshots in ScousaJAY's thread windows update just seems to hang while checking in the VistaForums. This month's December 2015 Patch Tuesday updates required a full hour on my machine before it finished the  "Checking for updates..." phase and finally presented a list of available updates, so you might want to try running a manual Windows Update and leaving your computer alone for an hour or so to see if it eventually runs to completion.

You might also want to read Nikilet's recent thread Updates were not configured correctly in that same forum.  Some Vista users, including myself, received an error message this month stating "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Please do not turn off your computer" when they tried to install the December 2015 Patch Tuesday updates.  Six updates for the Vista OS and one cumulative update for IE9 were marked as "Failed" on my machine after Windows forced an automatic rollback and re-boot of my machine.  I re-ran Windows Update today and all Important updates that failed yesterday eventually installed successfully ("Checking for updates..." still took about one hour and I declined one Recommended update KB3112148 for Vista and one Optional update KB3106614 for Silverlight today) so the secret might be to install updates in smaller batches instead of trying to install all dozen or so available updates in a single update session.
-------------32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v42.0 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo [email protected] GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598963/windows-update-stuck-at-checking-for-updates-and-cant-install-updates-manually/
Relevancy 41.28%

I found a unique way to do it on Windows 10 HOME and as far as I searched internet I didn't find any similar instructions:
http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com...e-automatic-updates-enable-updates-on-demand/

A:Windows 10 Home disable automatic updates, enable updates on demand

I got some updates last night and unfortunately my fix didn't work so I'll unpin this topic.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-10-home-disable-automatic-updates-enable-updates-on-demand.217736/
Relevancy 41.28%

I found a unique way to do it on Windows 10 HOME and as far as I searched internet I didn't find any similar instructions:
http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/81980-windows-10-home-disable-automatic-updates-enable-updates-on-demand/

A:Windows 10 Home disable automatic updates, enable updates on demand

Those are good instructions. Clear and concise.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585791/windows-10-home-disable-automatic-updates-enable-updates-on-demand/
Relevancy 41.28%

Suddenly Windows 7 has stopped installing Windows Updates. It downloads, then creates restore point, starts installation, but then comes back with the error code 800F0900. This happens with all the updates when carried out individually, critical or optional. I first went through the process of clearing all the Start-up Programs in the Services section of msconfig. As that did not solve it I then stopped all but MS services, and that did not solve it.  I tried the Microsoft .NET Setup Verification Tool. This said there were problems that it could not fix and sent a report to Microsoft.  Following an earlier thread on this site, I installed and used the Windows Repair program from Tweeking.com. This failed to solve the problem. Does any one have any other possible advice to help solve this problem ?

A:Windows Updates will not install. Error code 800F0900 for all updates.

I would try running the System Update Readiness Tool:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858 .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597603/windows-updates-will-not-install-error-code-800f0900-for-all-updates/
Relevancy 41.28%

I'm trying to add the latest updates on my Windows 8 (64-bit) laptop (Asus Q400A-BHI7N03) and the checking for updates... never completes. I've even tried leaving it over night with no success.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A:Windows Update never finds updates (Checking for updates never ends)

try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/394bc1f4-4afa-45b2-85d8-3b1bbd48b684/windows-update-never-finds-updates-checking-for-updates-never-ends?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 41.28%

EDIT: Please see my updated information a few posts down.

Hello, I'm having issues on a Windows 7 64 bit system. If the updates install, then upon restart it fails configuration and reverts back. Otherwise the the updates will fail and I get the following when using the windows fix it for windows update tool.

I am running a sfc /scannow currently. The failure code on all the updates is 80200001.

Thanks for any help.

update: the sfc /scannow

"Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

A:Windows Updates Fails configuring updates and reverts back

Hi bro,I had the same problem 3 days ago and I have solved the problem so, I think, I can help you,first of all I need to know if you have any antivirus tool intalled on your computer,if it so,[download CLEANER sofware from filehippo.com-it's important]uninstall them,for this action use safe mode by pressing F8 button,when you boot with safe mod you will not be able to uninstall your antivirus,because you have loaded only the drivers that needs safe mod,that's why you must delete your antivirus manually,for best result go to control panel-->folder options-->mark "show hidden files,folders,archives" apply and ok then go to user folder and open AppData\Local\"antivirus folder" and delete it,after this open AppData\Roaming\"antivirus folder" and delete it as well,at the end,you have to delete the main folder of your antivirus,that is installed on C or another drive.for example:C:\Program Files\ESET.After that open cleaner go to REGISTRY and scan for issues and if you get[I am sure you will get errors] any problem,fix them[delete them,you don't need to save registry settings before deleting] after cleaning registry, you have to run cleaner,so, go to software main window and press RUN CLEANER button[it's the last step] and restart your computer with normal mode.Now you can install updates and configure your windows safely.I hope this will help you

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/277532-windows-updates-fails-configuring-updates-reverts-back.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I ve got Office Student Edition all installed minus Outlook I haven t done any updates to it I did not install the Microsoft GDI Detection tool And I only updates? MS are Critical important How included Windows Are they Updates? Office in visit Windows Update not Microsoft Update and install the critical updates under custom install I m wondering Are the updates for MS Office that are critical security things included when you do Windows Update For How important are MS Office updates? Are they included in Windows Critical Updates? example there are a number of things listed here towards the bottom http isc sans org diary html storyid -- would those have been included in the last batch of critical Windows updates Do you need the GDI thing to do Office Updates When you go to the Office Updates site it wants you to install and run some kind of Active X thing Is this necessary And can it How important are MS Office updates? Are they included in Windows Critical Updates? cause any problems Can doing critical Office updates separate from whatever if anything that comes with Windows Update cause any problems or conflicts with other How important are MS Office updates? Are they included in Windows Critical Updates? things on your computer Thanks for the help nbsp

A:How important are MS Office updates? Are they included in Windows Critical Updates?

bloomcounty said:

I've got Office 2003 Student Edition (all installed, minus Outlook). I haven't done any updates to it. I did not install the Microsoft GDI+ Detection tool. And I only visit Windows Update (not Microsoft Update) and install the critical updates under custom install.

I'm wondering:

1. Are the updates for MS Office that are critical security things included when you do Windows Update? (For example, there are a number of things listed here towards the bottom: http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=2232 -- would those have been included in the last batch of critical Windows updates?

2. Do you need the GDI+ thing to do Office Updates?

3. When you go to the Office Updates site, it wants you to install and run some kind of Active X thing. Is this necessary? And can it cause any problems?

4. Can doing critical Office updates (separate from whatever, if anything, that comes with Windows Update) cause any problems or conflicts with other things on your computer?

Thanks for the help!Click to expand...

1. No. You either do Windows update and Office update, or you do Microsoft update, which does both at once.

2. I think so, but I am not positive. If you need it, it will install it, or, if you decline, you may not get updates. One way to find out, try it.

3. I don't think it will do the updates without it. Again, try it. It never caused any problems for me having it.

4. I can't guarantee that, nor can anyone else. Sometimes these "hotfixes" cause problems. Wait at least a few days after release to update was my motto. If there were any problems, you may hear about them, giving you the option to wait for that "fix" and, it gives MS time to be notified and correct it. Hopefully.

For what it's worth, I always kept my XP updated, waiting a few days after the release of course.
Hope this helps.
RootbeaR

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-important-are-ms-office-updates-are-they-included-in-windows-critical-updates.546066/
Relevancy 41.28%

I've got Office Student Edition all installed minus Outlook I haven't done any updates to it I did not install the Microsoft GDI Detection tool And I only visit Windows Update not Microsoft Update and install the critical updates under custom install I'm wondering Are the updates for MS Office that are critical security things included when you do Windows Update For example there are a number of things listed here towards the bottom http isc sans org diary html storyid -- would those have been included in the last batch of critical Windows updates Do you need the GDI thing to do Office Updates When you go to the Office Updates site it wants you to install and run some kind of Active X thing Is this necessary And can it cause any problems Can doing critical Office updates separate from whatever if anything that comes with Windows Update cause any problems or conflicts with other things on your computer Thanks for the help

A:How Important Are Ms Office Updates? Are They Included In Windows Critical Updates?

I don't have that detection tool either. At least some of the office updates are available through the windows update feature. You can also navigate to the Office updates site from the windows update site. There are no problems with installing the office updates separately. In fact, I generally download only 1 or 2 updates at a time as I am on dial-up.

Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/82313/how-important-are-ms-office-updates-are-they-included-in-windows-critical-updates/
Relevancy 41.28%

This is an inconvenient delay not anything serious Running Windows updates updates Microsoft Security blocking Essentials other windows if it makes a difference Issue Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates block Microsoft Updates until MSE is finished Description I have Microsoft Update or Windows Update whichever it s known as in set to automatically check for updates but not download or install Microsoft Security Essentials updates blocking other windows updates without my approval I do this so I can review what s being updated I m a little wary Microsoft Security Essentials updates blocking other windows updates of Microsoft putting an anti-piracy app in as a quot critical quot update in the last year Microsoft Security Essentials updates blocking other windows updates or two Anyways when I boot up the computer it checks for updates and alerts me of them However Microsoft Security Essentials also auto-checks for updates upon boot and if it has an update it will automatically being downloading and installing it in the background Which is all well and good except whenever that s happening it causes MU to quot fail quot updates until it s done updating Thus I have to remember to wait until the MSE update is done then run the MU update Question MSE definition updates are included under quot Optional quot updates in MU is there a way to make MSE stop updating independent of MU so I can queue all the updates together I feel like this would be the easiest way to prevent this annoyance I don t see an option and I d rather put up with this annoyance if the only solution is to put all updates back into Microsoft s hands completely nbsp

A:Microsoft Security Essentials updates blocking other windows updates

My understanding of MSE is it will check several times during the to make it has the latest updates. Most GOOD VA programs will do this as there are several releases daily for AV definitions. This is the only way you and your machine will be aware of these releases.

When some of these attacks happen, a definition is released, but as the infection is refined, the the definition must also be refined and/or improved. I use F-Prot on my machines, but I install MSE on the kids and grand kids machines. I have seen as many as 12 releases in one day from F-Prot, this is what is call" being on top of things".

So I would not want to rely on ME being the one to check several times daily on all of my machines to see if a new release has been made.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-security-essentials-updates-blocking-other-windows-updates.954096/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have never posted on a forum before so apologies if I am doing this wrong. The problem started when I tried to plug in my (new) iphone to my Dell pc. The device was not detected so I tried to update my itunes software - update failed and I received a Windows 7 error. After searching through multiple forums and trying to download windows utility cleaner, etc - nothing has helped. Also, if I try to run the 'Check for Updates" link on my computer - if NEVER stops searching for updates and there for I cant update anything. Not sure where to start

A:Windows Check for updates keeps running-all installation/updates fail

Let's start with the easy stuff

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
Once saved, run the tool.
Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
- **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
How to Tell

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/270663-windows-check-updates-keeps-running-all-installation-updates-fail.html
Relevancy 41.28%

hello - xp sp --- in past after opening Windows Update via Tools Update i could view my Update History page option and view what is currently showing as updated i e on my computer by clicking on that Option View Update History suddenly today that feature is not working - tried everything recommended on the site i e added site to pop-blocker low blockage setting never a problem before today it tries to load that page - i see it flash briefly longer Updates-can history' - access for option no 'updates Windows then disappear with another page appearing stating there was a problem accessing my personal update history or whatever the language was - don t remember totally showing error ox Windows Updates-can no longer access option for 'updates history' - A F today i downloaded Windows Updates-can no longer access option for 'updates history' - amp installed the NeT recommended update restarted computer and i think it was after that was completed that i tried to view the link for history of updates -without success I read FAQ and did what i wrote above HELP thanks - Edythe PS under Security - my NET is showing as prompt i haven t a clue what that feature does -but i kept getting reminders to do that update so i did LOL I even tried a virus scan - no problems - how important is it that i view what is updated in my machine anyway nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-updates-can-no-longer-access-option-for-updates-history.595799/
Relevancy 41.28%

Dell Latitude 2120. Windows 7 trying to restore at boot up, loads 18000+ updates then restores again in loop. Safe mode attemp restore lists OS C: as only selectable drive, operating drive is D:
<DIR> lookup shows an apple update and delete april of 2013 appears to be when problem started.

A:Windows 7 restore to updates, no boot, loop back to updates

Quote: Originally Posted by whitefoote

Dell Latitude 2120. Windows 7 trying to restore at boot up, loads 18000+ updates then restores again in loop. Safe mode attemp restore lists OS C: as only selectable drive, operating drive is D:
<DIR> lookup shows an apple update and delete april of 2013 appears to be when problem started.

Hi whitefoote,

Welcome to Seven forums.

Kindly check this link which should be helpful in resolving this issue:

Failure to Boot

Also, you can perform a factory install if you have taken a backup using dell software:

http://dell.to/19boJUM

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/314767-windows-7-restore-updates-no-boot-loop-back-updates.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Its been doing most of these updates forever when I go to shut it down it updates but when I wake up in the morning these updates are still not done It's like they never finish This happens every night for the past months or so Updates updates, wont Windows Security complete KB2604121 i'm getting tired of it now so i need some help I've tried Reset Windows Update History that works for a week or so but they eventually come back Code Diagnostic Report ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data-- gt Validation Code Cached Online Validation Code x Windows Product Key - -WJ H -R B D- QJB Windows Product Key Hash ckKNc BBPDWmo LUlOkraNjlQ Windows Product ID -OEM- - Windows Product ID Type Windows License Type OEM SLP Windows OS version ID D F D - ACE- - A E- B A B B Windows wont complete updates, Security Updates KB2604121 Is Admin Yes TestCab x LegitcheckControl ActiveX N A hr x Signed By N A hr x Product Name Windows Windows wont complete updates, Security Updates KB2604121 Home Premium Architecture x Build lab win sp gdr - TTS Error Validation Diagnostic Resolution Status N A Vista WgaER Data-- gt ThreatID s N A hr x Version N A hr x Windows XP Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x File Exists No Version N A hr x WgaTray exe Signed By N A hr x WgaLogon dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x Version N A hr x OGAExec exe Signed By N A hr x OGAAddin dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Data-- gt Office Status N A OGA Version N A x Signed By N A hr x Office Diagnostics B D AA B- - B D AA B- - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - Browser Data-- gt Proxy settings N A User Windows wont complete updates, Security Updates KB2604121 Agent Mozilla compatible MSIE Win Default Browser C Users Home AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe Download signed ActiveX controls Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control Disabled Active scripting Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting Allowed File Scan Data-- gt Other data-- gt Office Details lt GenuineResults gt lt MachineData gt lt UGUID gt D F D - ACE- - A E- B A B B lt UGUID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt OS gt lt OS gt lt Architecture gt x lt Architecture gt lt PKey gt - - - - QJB lt PKey gt lt PID gt -OEM- - lt PID gt lt PIDType gt lt PIDType gt lt SID gt S- - - - - - lt SID gt lt SYSTEM gt lt Manufacturer gt Acer lt Manufacturer gt lt Model gt Aspire Z lt Model gt lt SYSTEM gt lt BIOS gt lt Manufacturer gt Phoenix lt Manufacturer gt lt Version gt P -B lt Version gt lt SMBIOSVersion major quot quot minor quot quot gt lt Date gt lt Date gt lt BIOS gt lt HWID gt C D F lt HWID gt lt UserLCID gt lt UserLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt TimeZone gt Atlantic Standard Time GMT- lt TimeZone gt lt iJoin gt lt iJoin gt lt SBID gt lt stat gt lt stat gt lt msppid gt lt msppid gt lt name gt lt name gt lt model gt lt model gt lt SBID gt lt OEM gt lt OEMID gt ACRSYS lt OEMID gt lt OEMTableID gt ACRPRDCT lt OEMTableID gt lt OEM gt lt GANotification gt lt MachineData gt lt Software gt lt Office gt lt Result gt lt Result gt lt Products gt lt Applications gt lt Office gt lt Software gt lt GenuineResults gt Spsys log Content x Licensing Data-- gt Software licensing service version Name Windows R HomePremium edition Description Windows Operating System - Windows R OEM SLP channel Activation ID d c e -c dd- -b f -f f d d Application ID c -d - d - e-d ec f f Extended PID - - - - - - - Installation ID Processor Certificate URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Machine Certificate URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Use License URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Product Key Certificate URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Partial Product Key QJB License Status Licensed Remaining Windows rearm count T... Read more

A:Windows wont complete updates, Security Updates KB2604121

I've deleted a environmental variable for a PATH for Java I added long ago and it downloaded and installed it for now. I will see if anything else happens

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/261438-windows-wont-complete-updates-security-updates-kb2604121.html
Relevancy 41.28%

We have a mixed-mode domain Windows Server is our primary domain controller Exchange server where Active Directory administration is executed We have users home directories mapping using built-in AD functionality to map a home directory not via a login script We set it up by going to Active Directory Users and Computers User Name Properties Mapping To Directories Mapping Home Parent Properly Users - Directory) - (domain's Xp Not Directory Profile Home folder We have drive H set up to connect to fileserver users username which is each user s home folder Regularly for users of Windows XP only we see this folder being mapped to fileserver users during some Windows sessions which non-network administrators cannot access As a result they see quot Access Denied quot when trying to go into their H drives This poses a problem for saving and accessing files but also because we have Xp - Home Directories Not Mapping Properly - Mapping To Parent Directory (domain's Users Directory) WordPerfect s backup folder set to the user s H drive and when WordPerfect can t find it it tells the user their backup folder can t exist which makes people wonder why they are getting an error message and what to do When this happens I can go into ADUC and check the user s profile and see that their home folder is supposedly still pointed at the right place However when actually mapping it mismaps to the parent directory I would say this happens once every two weeks for me or perhaps more often for some users I wrote a little batch file to unmap drive H and remap it properly that each user can run if they need to but once in a while the batch file fails and this is just annoying Does anyone know of a solution or why Xp - Home Directories Not Mapping Properly - Mapping To Parent Directory (domain's Users Directory) this happens Thanks a Xp - Home Directories Not Mapping Properly - Mapping To Parent Directory (domain's Users Directory) lot Hotshot

A:Xp - Home Directories Not Mapping Properly - Mapping To Parent Directory (domain's Users Directory)

Try mapping the network drive on the user's computer via the command prompt, and then setting the /persistent flag to yes.

For example:

Log in as the end user on their Windows XP workstation. Open My Computer and disconnect the H:\ drive so that it goes offline and disappears from the My Computer window.
Open up the Command Prompt.
Map the network drive via the command prompt using the following commands:

net use h: \\fileserver\users\%username%

Then press [Enter] and wait for the command prompt to confirm success. Next set the /persistent switch for the mapped network drives.

net use /persistent:yes

Then press [Enter] and wait for the command prompt to confirm success. Open My Computer and confirm that the mapped home drive reference has been created. Restart the computer and check it again. If it switches out, there may be a script that is running at login or some other setting that is being pushed out via Group Policy that is interfering with the network drive mappings.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/88576/xp-home-directories-not-mapping-properly-mapping-to-parent-directory-domains-users-directory/
Relevancy 40.85%

Howdy,

It has been a while since I last posted. I am trying to help out a reporter with a story on networking and I would like to get this group's thoughts on the topic below:

Cabling: Structured vs. Point-To-Point
When it comes to data center cabling, there are two primary options: structured and point-to-point. This article should look at the pros and cons of both, how they differ, etc. When and where is one option a better fit over the other? How does the cabling option chosen affect overall data center flexibility, performance, and future-proofing?

Any or all comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JR

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/structured-versus-point-to-point-networks.133635/
Relevancy 40.85%

HI ,i have a home pc with adsl,this program i hear about,does anybody know the pro's and con's about it,do i need it or should i just keep the software my provider issued me.What would this program do for me if i was to use it..Thank's in advance for all replies.
pppoe or raspppoe

A:pppoe(point to point protocol over ethernet

Im not familliar with raspppoe.. but after reading some info about it.
I'll just stay with pppoe, same results anyway

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pppoe-point-to-point-protocol-over-ethernet.412557/
Relevancy 40.85%

I have 5 updates that fail to install. I have also tried to manually install them, but they still fail Here are the updates:

KB2586448

KB2572076

KB2564958

KB2567053

KB2579686

The error code I get is "800736B3". I ran MS FIXIT and it said they did not detect any problems.

A:5 updates fail to install through windows updates or manual?

Hello, have you tried:

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.

Its from this link: Windows Update error 800705b4

I know its a different error code but its worth a try.
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/191594-5-updates-fail-install-through-windows-updates-manual.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I installed windows 7 yesterday but windows update is now stuck on checking for updates all the time. Doesn't download or install any updates

That said i looked up and tried a lot of solutions/fixes online but no luck, nothing worked.

Any help is much appreciated. I don't wanna upgrade to windows 10 by the way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/399633-windows-updates-stuck-checking-updates-hours.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Win Updates Disabler Disable Enable Windows Updates Windows Defender Security Center Windows Firewall Win Updates Disabler is a very simple Windows OS software that helps you to completely disable or enable Automatic Updates on your Windows system Moreover it can help to disable or enable Windows Defender Windows Security Center and Windows Firewall Remember that it is important keep your system up to date for security reasons however if for privacy reasons or Disabler Windows v1.0 (Disable Win Updates) Auto Updates 10 for any other reason you want to disable Windows Updates and the other Windows security services this little tool is all that you need This program works fine on Windows XP Vista and Windows -bit Program Key Features Completely Disable or Enable Automatic Updates on Windows Disable or Enable Windows Defender Security Center Windows Firewall Ask to Reboot the PC After the Changes Win Updates Disabler v1.0 (Disable Windows 10 Auto Updates) have Been Applied Run it Directly from the USB with the Portable Win Updates Disabler v1.0 (Disable Windows 10 Auto Updates) Version Works on Windows XP Vista -bit Download http www site unblock com download win-updates-disabler-setup exe Portable Version http www site unblock com download win-updates-disabler-portable zip nbsp

https://malwaretips.com/threads/win-updates-disabler-v1-0-disable-windows-10-auto-updates.54208/
Relevancy 40.85%

I have updates that have failed to install on my computer They are KB and KB and with an error of I ll explain the computer first then what I have tried My computer has Windows Professional bit TD hard drive and GB of RAMM I just purchased it as a refurbished computer from Newegg about a week and and this is how it starts out This should be fun The only thing that I have done to the computer is add Office McAfee Internet Security and Photoshop Had automatic updates yesterday and these 7 and - KB954430 Updates Failed Updates KB973688 on Windows failed KB and KB had error code Failed Updates on Windows 7 - Updates KB954430 and KB973688 Looked online with the update and error code and found the solution given below on the Microsoft website Ran the Failed Updates on Windows 7 - Updates KB954430 and KB973688 stand alone install for both KB and KB and got the following error Error opening installation log file Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable Ran your automatically reset Windows Update components program and came back with the following error Troubleshooting was unable to fix all of the issues found You can find more details below Windows update error x - - -T- A Not Fixed Problems installing recent values Not Fixed Service registration is missing or corrupt Fixed At that point I figured I would stop until I was able to talk to people who have a lot more knowledge on this than me Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Failed Updates on Windows 7 - Updates KB954430 and KB973688

Please follow the Windows Update Posting Instructions and post the requested data

If the file is too large (8MB compressed), remove the older CBSPersist cab files until the final file is below the limit - you can always post them separately after zipping them. (the forum doesn't allow the upload of bare CAB files, for a number of reasons)

Please also post the C:\Windows\windowsudpate.log file

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/371254-failed-updates-windows-7-updates-kb954430-kb973688.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Join Date Nov win pro posts Local Time PM I have a Dell XPS Z laptop with GB of RAM x GHz processors and GB hard drive which is only about half full The operating system is Windows Pro All updates are current I have Kaspersky anti-virus malware bytes amp spybot search and destroy All of which say the computer is clean I have repeatedly successfully installed Windows updates Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB Then within a a few minutes I am notified that new updates are available The same ones Just to make sure the update were truly successful I have reinstalled them several times with the same result Occasionally there are other Windows updates included along with my two familiar ones The others install fine and install new updates Windows re-flagged updates 2 as successfully, I never hear anything more about them But the two above will soon come back as new updates available Though I can 2 Windows updates install successfully, re-flagged as new updates certainly ignore responding to these update notifications it would be kind and nice to get it fixed Thanks Larry

A:2 Windows updates install successfully, re-flagged as new updates

Right click on the ones you already have (when they show up again) and 'hide' them. That will stop the nuisance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/312874-2-windows-updates-install-successfully-re-flagged-new-updates.html
Relevancy 40.85%

How are you guys doing today i recently reinstalled windows I'm looking for some assistance as far as which updates to install on Windows Also would like to to (SCREENSHOTS updates 7 Windows INSIDE) Which install? Updates: know how to turn on a feature so the updates will install automatically If thats safe In my optional tab it reads the following Windows 7 Updates: Which updates to install? (SCREENSHOTS INSIDE) All of these boxes are unchecked AMD -Other hardware storage controller - AMD SATA CONTROLLER DELL INC -DISPLAY -DELLIN ANALOG Update for Windows for x -based systems KB Update for Windows for x -based systems KB Update for Windows for x -based systems KB In my important tab it reads the following these two boxes Windows 7 Updates: Which updates to install? (SCREENSHOTS INSIDE) are unchecked Update for Microsoft NET framework on Windows and Windows server R SP for x based systems KB Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB The rest of the important updates are Microsoft Office related all are checked Anyone know if these are safe to install and if so how do i instruct them to install automatically UPDATE I've loaded screenshots so you guys can maybe help me better Bless Thanks in advanced

A:Windows 7 Updates: Which updates to install? (SCREENSHOTS INSIDE)

Quote: Originally Posted by Zeek1017

How are you guys doing today? i recently reinstalled windows 7

I'm looking for some assistance as far as which updates to install on Windows 7.

Also would like to know how to turn on a feature so the updates will install automatically (If thats safe)

In my optional tab it reads the following(All of these boxes are unchecked)

AMD -Other hardware, storage controller - AMD SATA CONTROLLER

DELL INC -DISPLAY -DELLIN1920(ANALOG)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2574819)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2592687)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2709981)

In my important tab it reads the following (these two boxes are unchecked)

Update for Microsoft. NET framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64 based systems (KB2836942)

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2836939)

The rest of the important updates are Microsoft Office related (all are checked)

Anyone know if these are safe to install and if so how do i instruct them to install automatically?

UPDATE: I've loaded screenshots so you guys can maybe help me better

Bless.

Thanks in advanced.

Hi Zeek1017,

Welcome to Seven forums.

You should go ahead with all the updates on the system. As updates whether for the drivers or software provide better security and more features to the particular hardware or software.

However, it is always recommended to create a restore point manually before updating the system so that if required you can revert as well:

System Restore Point - Create

This tutorial would show you how you can perform system restore if required:

System Restore

Lastly. check this tutorial for setting updates automatically if you wish to do so:

Windows Update Settings - Change

Hope this answers your query. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/304654-windows-7-updates-updates-install-screenshots-inside.html
Relevancy 40.85%

win 8, 64 bit PC
Brother(company) thinks Windows updates or Av program updates can corrupt Printer/scanner drivers - i have to reinstall entire program after the company tired to fix problem to no avail when printer/scanner stopped scanning... does that sound possible ? thanks so much !

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/70256-windows-updates-av-updates-corrupt-printer-drivers.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi there We got the crashed on machine running on Windows started on last Wednesday and it's been working well for almost cancel Windows to driver the updates? relation in How Updates to month After troubleshooting and restoring we came across it's something to do with the Intel Drivers Display update that might causing this Once we restored the machine the Windows Updates has How to cancel the Windows Updates in relation to driver updates? already How to cancel the Windows Updates in relation to driver updates? listed the driver ready to install as well all KBs My question how do I stop clear this list from running To prevent this update automatically on the driver I went to the System gt Hardware tab gt Device Installation Settings gt No However this only preventing it running in the future and I need to stop appearing from How to cancel the Windows Updates in relation to driver updates? the list as stated previously I came across previously with Windows which is relating on one of particular updates that causing stuck on Windows Updates I know there is away to stop this action and clear up this updates cataloq But not sure on Windows I'm appreciated your feedback and comment Thanks

A:How to cancel the Windows Updates in relation to driver updates?

Have a look at this tutorial
Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

Go to Options Three
To Turn On or Off Automatic Device Driver Installation

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/40103-how-cancel-windows-updates-relation-driver-updates.html
Relevancy 40.85%

After installing the Anniversary Update, I checked some of the Windows Update settings. I found that the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" is now unchecked and further more it is also grayed out so I cannot recheck it. With the Anniversary Update, are Office updates now automatically included in Windows Updates?

JohnD

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/59456-cannot-set-option-include-office-updates-windows-updates.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Until the October 2014 updates I would always receive a sytray notice of which updates had been installed. To clarify, after new Windows Updates were installed and with or without a reboot of the system, I would receive a systray notification that new updates had been installed and upon clicking that notification a window would open and show the updates that had been installed and success or failure status.

I no longer receive that notification. This was true for the October and November patch Tuesday updates. I can open Windows Update and select View Update History and see that the updates were installed but the systray notification only showed the latest installation history and was more convenient that having to open Windows Update to view the update history.

Anyone have any idea as to what caused the systray notification to stop working after updates were installed? OS is Win 7 Home Premium SP 1.

TIA for any replies.

A:No systray notice of installed updates after Windows Updates

Should I post this in the Windows 7 General Discussion forum? Doesn't seem to be much response here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/352350-no-systray-notice-installed-updates-after-windows-updates.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I am using Office 2013 Pro & it does not show updates in the normal Windows Update section on my computer. I have to refer to any Office application, select File & then Accounts to see that I have automatic updates selected & the update number, but it does not tell me if it is the latest update, so I have to check to see that it is the latest, which it is apparently.
I would like to be able to see which Office updates are available & to install them as I do with the usual Windows Updates. Can anyone suggest a solution please.

A:How do I get Office 2013 updates to show in Windows Updates.

Just a random thought. Does your computer have the "Click-to-Run" version of Office installed? Updates for the C2R version do not appear in Windows Update or WSUS. Updates are downloaded in the background automatically (whether you want them to or not).

You can identify C2R by looking under the File tab. There will be a button that shows update options (on or off) and the version number. Another way to identify C2R is in Window's Programs & Features. With C2R, you no longer have the ability to add or delete Office applications.

How to: Verify Whether Outlook Is a Click-to-Run Application on a Computer

Of Click-to-Run and Custom Installs of Office 2013 | Office 2013 content from Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/304579-how-do-i-get-office-2013-updates-show-windows-updates.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi, it seems like I get no more updates offered when I search for updates. My latest important updates are from 05.10.13. Since then I only get the same 42 optional updates shown. Shouldn't there be a few new ones (important and optional ones) since one month? Yesterday I read about the new IE11, that didn't show up either. Is there a website with a history of all released updates so I can check if there are any updates released/available that I didn't get offered in the last month?

A:No new Windows updates shown when 'search for updates' - Problem?

IE 11 isn't being offered through Windows Updates yet, except in certain areas.
The latest Important Updates should have been installed around 8th October
What happens if you attempt to install any of the optional updates?
There is no formal list of updates, since the list may vary from machine to machine - however, the listing in the forum stick here is kept pretty much up-to-date.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/311157-no-new-windows-updates-shown-when-search-updates-problem.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi I purchased new Dell OptiPlex desktop computers that came with Windows Professional operating system with SP There were no Microsoft updates installed yet After I added one of these Dell computers to the Windows Server Active Directory I was not able to download several items Below are several examples I downloaded the Norton anti-virus installation file This Server joins 7 when Download Directory Windows Windows Pro 2008 issue Active a file is not the full installation of Norton it is more of a file where you execute it and it will download the full installation from the Internet like from their Norton web Download issue when Windows 7 Pro joins a Windows Server 2008 Active Directory site So when I executed this installation file it does not download the full installation files It just hung at the screen saying Downloading and it will finally stop with an error don t remember Download issue when Windows 7 Pro joins a Windows Server 2008 Active Directory the error message Note If I have the full Norton installation file then I am able to install it on this computer with no problems I downloaded the Adobe Reader installation file This file is not the full installation of Adobe Reader it is more of Download issue when Windows 7 Pro joins a Windows Server 2008 Active Directory a file where you execute it and it will download the full installation from the Internet like from their Adobe web site So when I executed this installation file it hung at the downloading part and then it will error out with a Actionlist Not Found message Note If I have the full Adobe Reader installation file then I am able to install it on this computer with no problems I installed Microsoft Office Standard version on this computer I configured Microsoft Outlook to retrieve emails from my email provider pop and smtp settings After configuring Microsoft Outlook I was able to send emails through Microsoft Outlook successfully and very quickly but he was unable to retrieve my emails The progress bar for the Receiving in the quot Outlook Send Receive Progress quot box shows no progress The Progress bar is not moving There is a message at the bottom of Microsoft Outlook stating quot Receiving message of x xx KB of x xx MB quot and it is very slow My new emails were not being retrieved at all I tried various pop and smtp servers that was available for my email provider but all had the same effect Note I had a Dell computer with Windows XP Professional operating system and this computer had Microsoft Outlook as well I was able to retrieve my new emails on that computer successfully The above are only a few examples that I have experienced If I removed this Dell OptiPlex computer from the Windows Server Active Directory then I still experience the same issue So as another test I setup the other new Dell OptiPlex with the same Windows Professional OS with SP This time I did not join the Windows Server Active Directory and I was able to successfully download the full Norton installation files download the full Adobe Reader installation files and download my emails from Microsoft Outlook But once I joined this computer to the Windows Server Active Directory then I am not able to download these files and emails at all It seems like there might be some group policy or a security setting that is preventing these downloads but I am not sure what it is I disabled all of the firewall programs on this Windows Professional OS but it still did not resolve the issue Any ideas on the root cause Thanks techwin nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/download-issue-when-windows-7-pro-joins-a-windows-server-2008-active-directory.1091820/
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi to the group. I am having a problem figuring out why I no longer can run regedit from the run bar in search. The search gives an error message that regedit can't be found in C:\windows\system32 which I can understand because its actual location on my computer is in C:\windows and opens properly when I do so from that location. has this application been moved in some way so that it can no longer be found where search expects it to be?

A:Regedit--windows searches in wrong directory (windows\system32)

Have you tried clearing (deleting) the things from the run command? Maybe someone typed it in wrong & now it wants to open that all the time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/203637-regedit-windows-searches-wrong-directory-windows-system32.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi everyone,

I would just like to know if the file:

@edptoastimage.png in C:\Windows\System32

Is part of Windows 10 or not?

Also what of the folder: C:\Windows\System32\RasToast ?

Thanks in advance.

A:Suspicious files in Windows Directory - Windows 10 Fresh Install

Yes, I also have that file and that folder. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607589/suspicious-files-in-windows-directory-windows-10-fresh-install/
Relevancy 40.42%

I think this is a Windows problem rather than a Windows Live Mail problem. For no apparent reason, I could no longer save or open email attachments. No error messages, just nothing happens. I opened up all of the mail security and nothing changed. Then I found that doing something like importing or exporting contacts, mail, etc or changing storage locations acts the same.

I did a clean removal of Win Live and re-installed it. Nothing changed. Any suggestions other than a new Win 7 install?

A:Windows Live Mail can't communicate with Windows 7 file directory

Magician mate you might try these

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html < use the /f and /r options in Option2 if necessary
if these do nothing then these

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
downloadfrom bleeping computer ? delete any rubbish these find.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/346905-windows-live-mail-cant-communicate-windows-7-file-directory.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi everybody!

As I'm a basic Windows XP Pro user and I'm not digging in its directories, I didin't notice that my Windows directory was not there (C:\) until last night when I needed to open the System32 folder as part of an installation process. Big suprise for me!!! Windows directory was not there and I couldn't complete my task.

As I can boot normally my computer, it's obvious that my Windows is working stable and without absolutely any problem (so far).

Is there any way I can unhide Windows directory?

Any help in this sense will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your support.

Enrique

Relevancy 40.42%

Has anyone determined for sure what it is for. It is left after 8.1 installs. Early some thought you could move it to other computers to avoid the 3.2gig download but it only has 3-400 meg.

It took me8 hours to download/install. Not going to do that for four more units.

A:$Windows.~ directory

I did a clean install of Win 8.1 ISO but this thread seems to indicate there is/may be a way to generate a standalone installer.

Cannot update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 :(

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/33285-windows-directory.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hello,I am trying to uninstall the demon that is DealHelper. I have got instructions on how to do it....problem is - I don't understand the instructions!!Here they are: 1. Stop all instances of IE or AOL. 2. Kill processes (from task manager) dhsrv and dhbrwsr. 3. Insure TimeSynchornize.exe is deleted 4. go to windows directory. 5. Execute: regsvr32.exe /u dealhlpr.dll 6. delete file dealhlpr.dll 7. Execute: regsvr32.exe /u dhp.dll 8. delete file dhp.dll 9. execute dhbrwser.exe –UnregServer 10. delete dhbrwser.exe 11. execute dhsvr.exe –UnregServer 12. delete dhsvr.exe 12. delete DHun.exe My first Question.....#4.... How to I "go to windows directory"?Once there, do I just type #5 -"Execute: regsvr32.exe /u dealhlpr.dll"?If anyone can break down these directions into EVEN MORE STEP BY STEP that would be much appreciated!!!!!Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum and added to the topic descriptor. ~ Animal

A:Windows Directory

Have you attempted to uninstall from the Add/Remove program?
What site did you get the instructions from?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/105623/windows-directory/
Relevancy 40.42%

First off, I did all possible spyware debugging, I'm in the damage control process, my problem (I hope to god) has a simple solution however. My laptop was recently affected by a powerful virus, however, i got rid of the virus, but I have a major porblem, my WINDOWS directory has been deleted, i know by now i should but I have no idea what to do, please help, thank you.

A:Windows directory gone.

Do you have a backup? There is always the option to run the restore disc that came with your computer.Can you boot the computer and use system restore?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28177/windows-directory-gone/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi All,
I have an Active Directory with Windows 2003 Server and all clients with windows xp and I set default group policy for all clients now I install windows 7 on one computer and join it to domain then I can logon in domain without any problem but after group policy set on this computer I cannot login on domain and I see this messege "The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship"
How can I do?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/join-windows-7-to-windows-2003-active-directory-421397.html
Relevancy 39.99%

So I successfully installed a total of latest new updates appearing after Windows Old updates as Windows updates for my Windows x installation on Tuesday I think of them were quot important quot and were quot recommended quot for x systems Now I have received four additional update notifications through Windows Update one at a time I installed the first without giving it much thought after which I was asked to reboot Everything seemed fine after reboot until I tried my Firefox browser it looked all wrong and I could no longer Old Windows updates appearing as new after latest updates read any of the menu headings It was essentially non-functional Then I tried Internet Explorer It simply failed with an error window indicating that it could not start and it was checking for a solution to the problem So then I tried to uninstall the update and I receive a message that an error occurred and the un-installation was unsuccessful So then I restored Windows from an image file I had just made and Old Windows updates appearing as new after latest updates all was well again of course When this update came back through Windows Update I researched it a bit and was surprised to find that it was from Now it is Old Windows updates appearing as new after latest updates possible that I missed an important or recommended update but I know I've checked Windows Update numerous times between and now and this never showed up before I also doubt that I missed an important or recommended update since they are selected by default and I don't deviate from that But I didn't verify since I couldn't find an easy way to search the updates installed on my machine So I decided to hide that update Well long story short a different single update showed up and I tried installing it only to discover the same problem with my browsers I once again recovered and researched to find another old update this time from So I hid this one as well No less than more of these old updates have come up I believe that is the end of them since I've deliberately clicked quot check for updates quot a few more times and nothing other than the usual optional updates comes up I made a note of the four old updates KB KB KB KB So all of that said am I the only person experiencing this issue Is it possible that old quot failed quot updates have somehow been set to show-up again I really don't think I had failed updates from the past I know I may have had trouble with about updates over the years but if I recall correctly in the end I did get them to install I guess I should really search my entire list of installed updates for these Any other thoughts Thanks

A:Old Windows updates appearing as new after latest updates

Let's have a look at the background...

Please follow the Windows Update Posting Instructions and post the requested data
Also, please post the C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log file

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/321736-old-windows-updates-appearing-new-after-latest-updates.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi everyone,

As you can see in the image below, I have clicked on 'Check For Updates' and once it had shown 1 IMPORTANT UPDATE, I clicked on it to see what it was, and it displays a blank screen?

Any Ideas?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/66568-windows-8-1-pro-updates-not-displaying-updates-availab.html
Relevancy 39.99%

My computer will not allow me to go to any Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware sites update virus etc... Access Virus Cannot Windows and Updates Updates definitions windows update I am having trouble with google searches and if i need to allow a pop-up when I click allow i get spammed and re-directed I have followed all Cannot Access Windows Updates and Virus Updates etc... the directions of how to correctly post to this forum I have downloaded several programs that i may need from a different computer and transferred them to this computer I will not run any of these files until I am asked to do so DDS txt DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Kildarmac at on Tue Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition On-access scanning enabled Updated FB E- B - A- F -E D C Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroup svchost exe svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files LeapFrog LeapFrog Connect CommandService exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C Program Files Nero Nero Nero BackItUp NBService exe C WINDOWS System HPZipm exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C Program Files War-ftpd war-ftpd exe C Program Files RealVNC VNC WinVNC exe C Program Files MediaMall MediaMallServer exe C WINDOWS System svchost -k DComLaunch C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C Program Files LeapFrog LeapFrog Connect Monitor exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HTTPFilter C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files Nero Lib NMBgMonitor exe C Program Files Common Files Nero Lib NMIndexingService exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync Wcescomm exe C Program Files Orb Networks Orb bin OrbTray exe C Program Files Common Files Nero Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C PROGRA MICROS rapimgr exe C Program Files D-Link Media Server MediaGUI exe C Program Files War-ftpd WarTrayIcon exe C Program Files D-Link Media Server MediaServer exe C Program Files Orb Networks Orb bin Orb exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Product Assistant bin hprblog exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Kildarmac Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page about blank uInternet Settings ProxyOverride local BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - c program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll EB - a - b-a - c a a - No File uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe uRun BgMonitor E - C C- d f- C - D A B AA quot c program files common files nero lib NMBgMonitor exe quot uRun H PC Connection Agent quot c program files microsoft activesync Wcescomm exe quot uRun Orb c program files orb networks orb bin OrbTray exe mRun nwiz nwiz exe install mRun HP Software Update c program files hp hp software update HPWuSchd exe mRun NeroFilterCheck c program files common files nero lib NeroCheck ... Read more

A:Cannot Access Windows Updates and Virus Updates etc...

Hello kildarmac,Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update. Updating Java: Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 13. Click the "Download" button to the right. At the Select Platform and Language for your download drop down box
Select Windows and Mult-Language Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement" then press Continue ( Selecting Windows will give you the 32 bit version. ) The page will refresh. Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe and save to your desktop. Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser. Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9
Java™ 6 Update 12
Java™ 6 Update 3
Java™ 6 Update 5
Java™ 6 Update 7 Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name. Click the Remove or Change/Remove button. Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions. Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed. Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.Your Mozilla Firefox is out of date. You need to update it to the latest version 3.0.10 Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.Save it to your Desktop.Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt.Please post the contents of that document.Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from one of these places:http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti...&tag=buttonhttp://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.htmlhttp://www.besttechie.net/mbam/mbam-setup.exeDouble Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application. * Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan. * The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note) * The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM. * Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply along with a fresh HijackThis log.Extra Note:If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/228072/cannot-access-windows-updates-and-virus-updates-etc/
Relevancy 39.99%

Windows Updates continues to re-install five specific updates which Updates. Re-install Windows-Updates to Continues are Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB -Download size MB Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB -Download size MB Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB -Download size MB Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB -Download size MB Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB -Download size MB - I purchased my computer to months ago It is a Windows Home Windows-Updates Continues to Re-install Updates. Premium Hewlett-packard HP Pavilion dv Notebook PC -bit Operating System I have tried numerous trouble-shoots and all have failed If anyone knows of a solution this extremely aggravating issue please feel free to answer this immediately Thank you -Isaiah

A:Windows-Updates Continues to Re-install Updates.

I have tried numerous trouble-shoots and all have failed.what else did you try?Did you try uninstalling microsoft .NET framework 4 client profile from add or remove programs?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/457163/windows-updates-continues-to-re-install-updates/