Windows Support Forum

WinUpdate made Admin act as no admin privileges available?

Q: WinUpdate made Admin act as no admin privileges available?

So for the second time this month a Windows Update has basically killed my machine As I was going to bed at GMT WindowsUpdate started an auto-install and rebooted my as made admin act available? Admin no privileges WinUpdate machine As I logged into the Admin-level account normally it appears to stop loading any of my programs - firewall AV email everything Volume appears and that's it I click my browser icon on the jump bar and it popsup an alert box that says quot Windows cannot access the specified device path or file You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item WinUpdate made Admin act as no admin privileges available? quot I get this on everything command prompt window Games on non-boot drive Windows utilities programs themselves Funnily enough although quot Run as Admin quot on my browsers doesn't work using the quot Run Safer quot option through my OnlineArmor firewall program guard does allow a browser to run But not anything else And not as with Admin Privileges Bloody annoying I can't uninstall anything quot Last Known Good Configuration quot and quot Safe Mode quot does nothing for this problem There's no way to access quot System Restore quot so even if there is a restore point which there should be - I made one after reinstalling at beginning of the month the last time this happened I can't use it The quot Shut Down quot button on the Start Menu constantly tells me to click it for the update process again times or so and it's still there I can access My Computer through Start Menu and move files around What in blazes is happening And why twice after a Windows Update that I cannot defer or block P GHz GB Dual-Channel PC- RAM ATI HD MB GPU Win Ultimate -bit EmsiSoft's OnlineArmor firewall Avast Anti-Virus

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: WinUpdate made Admin act as no admin privileges available?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: WinUpdate made Admin act as no admin privileges available?

Addendum :

Managed to create a new Admin-level user.
No go. Same problem. Will not run anything - not enough permissions?!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/214648-winupdate-made-admin-act-no-admin-privileges-available.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi Friends ... I have this laptop that has been given to me by my company and the USB ports have been blocked in manner such that I can copy stuff from my USB drive on to the machine but cannot copy in the reverse direction, ie. from the hard drive to the USB. Obviously it is to safeguard against theft of data. However, I do not deal with any confidential data and like to back up things every few days. Please tell me a shortcut to unlock my USB entirely even though I do not have administrator rights on the machine.

A:How to unlock USB ports without admin password?

Sorry, we will not assist in circumventing such security features, especially when the machine belongs to someone else.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-unlock-usb-ports-without-admin-password.193100/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hello to all I saw this topic dating back to but it seemed that at DVD stopped DVDs ROM reading CDs Sony Vaio and made home that time the drives were not working were stopping That is not my issue Before suggested I have tried what was recommended then uninstalling the drive and removing lower and upper in the registry sorry cannot remember what they were Ok here is what I have and what it has been doing for over a year I have a Sony Vaio laptop CR E Vista Over a year ago it just stopped reading home made disks My daughter s wedding disk the disk of my X rays from the Doctor music regardless when put in they were seen as blank Sometimes if I kept putting them in they would be recognized but mostly not I got a cdrom Sony Vaio DVD ROM stopped reading home made CDs and DVDs cleaner used it and it seemed to work for a good while However it is doing it again If I burned the disk on this system before it would read it but I am not sure if that is the case now It makes me crazy I went and got a new cleaner and have done all that I know to do Sony you suck Too many ppl have had this problem My next laptop will NOT be a Sony So if I put a commercial cd or dvd in it works fine Any suggestions Can I clean this sucker any other way nbsp

A:Sony Vaio DVD ROM stopped reading home made CDs and DVDs

In any CD/DVD RW drive, there are 2 'lasers'. One is for reading, the other for writing.
From what you have said, it sounds as if the 'writing' head has lost power, or is failing in some way.
So when you use a commercial DVD it reads perfectly, but when you try to load from the DVD's you burned on that drive, it is unreliable.
The only real answer is to buy a new CD/DVD drive unit. It's very easy to fit, and not very expensive either. I have found also that some CD/DVD drives seem to read 'bought' discs better than others, maybe some alignment differences between manufacturers ?
When you get a new drive installed, you can make new copies of the unreliable discs.
If you don't like the idea of taking the drive out, you can buy a stand-alone CD/DVD RW that will plug into (usually 2) USB ports. Not good on a laptop ! There are some that will use only 1 USB port though. Hope that's of help.
* This is one I have, but be aware that the read/write speed is only X8 on DVD.
http://www.itechnews.net/2007/05/18/samsung-se-t084l-external-slim-dvd-writer/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-vaio-dvd-rom-stopped-reading-home-made-cds-and-dvds.159937/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hi all am currently planning to purchase a PC just for gaming made Ready desktop itself and some normal net surfing i do not know how to DIY myself as i do not have any experience but have search through the web Ready made desktop and have found desktop which is quite good the first is DELL Studio XPS Processor Intel R Core TM i - Processor GHz Ready made desktop turbo up to GHz MB Operating System Genuine Windows R Home Premium bit Edition English Specifications - Operating System Memory GB Tri-Channel DDR SDRAM at MHz - DIMMs X GB Hard Drive TB SATA Gb s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing Video Card GB ATI R Radeon TM HD Optical Drive Single Drive X DVD -RW with Dual Layer Write cost is second is Acer Aspire M Genuine Windows Home Premium -bit Intel Core i - processor GHz MB Cache GT s Intel QPI GB Ram TB S-ATA HDD DVD SuperMulti Double-Layer Drive Nvidia GeForce GT Graphics Card GB Dedicated RAM Wireless LAN Wireless Keyboard and Mouse With quot Full HD LCD Monitor Operating System Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium Processor Intel Core i processor with Intel X chipset System Memory Supports DDRIII up to a maximum of GB three-channel support on six DIMMs Graphics Enabled ATI CrossFireX NVIDIA SLI support Microsoft DirectX support Audio High Definition Optimized Dolby Home Theater audio enhancement featuring Dolby Digital Dolby Pro Logic II Dolby Headphone Dolby Virtual Speaker and Dolby Digital Live technologies I O Interface Front Multi-in- card reader Smart Backup button IEEE port -pin Two USB ports High-definition headphone and microphone jacks Rear Six USB ports PS keyboard and mouse ports Ethernet RJ- port Six audio ports IEEE port pin All display ports on the graphics card Hard Drives Up to internal ATA hard disks of TB each Up to front access ATA hard disks of TB each Optical Devices SuperMulti DVD-RW Expansion Slots Two PCI Express x slots PCI Express X slot PCI Express x slot Housing Dimension W x D x H Software Acer eRecovery Management Acer Arcade Deluxe Microsoft Office Trial with Microsoft Works McAfee Internet Security Suite Trial Adobe Reader Nero Essentials Oberon GameZone eSobi MyWinLocker EMI Safety CE FCC BSMI CCC ETL Nemko Price please note that i have copy and paste the specs through their own profile the games i wish to play on my systems are crysis upcoming Battlefield upcoming Medal of Honour upcoming black ops upcoming Bad company modern warfare and most of the FPS gaming that is soon to be out my questions is will any of the desktops able to play this games at MAX settings which systems desktops do you all recommend Thanks a lot for ur help nbsp

A:Ready made desktop

Unfortunately no one will know how well any PC's are going to work on the future games until they are released but the dell would certainly be great for modern games.

Here's another option from Dell/Alienware:

$1,878.00
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Overclocked Intel® Core? i7 930 Quad Core Processor (3.36GHz, 8MB Cache)
Single 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460
6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3
1TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD
Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
23.0" Dell ST2310 Full HD Monitor with VGA cable
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ready-made-desktop.151985/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have an hp mini 1000 netbook with the admin passwords in the bios and win xp. It was my cousins who is no longer with us, so my aunt gave it to me. Noone knows the passwords. How can I bypass them or override them? I can get in as a guest but it is too limited. What are my best options?

A:HP Mini admin password unknown

You need to talk to HP, after changing the registered ownership, and may need a document about the fate of the previous owner. You may have to send it to a certified HP service center with a formal notice of change of ownership included.
As for TechSpot, there is a policy to not provide assistance with passwords.
What you want to do is usually very difficult in the best of circumstances.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-mini-admin-password-unknown.148971/
Relevancy 33.11%

...or if you bought this PC what do you think the retail price should be/what would you pay for it?

1. GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
2. Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power
3. AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor Model HDX545WFGIBOX
4. Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model 996777
5. SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready
6. Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

You should be able to find all these items on Newegg. www.newegg.com

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed the sticky post about future builds and asking opinions. Do I need to move this post? I will know better for future reference.

A:If you made this PC..

The trouble with providing an accurate answer to this question is that manufacturers get a better price on both OS and components than you possibly can.

If it was just a question of adding the markup, I'd say, "add together the component prices, and multiply by 1.33 to arrive at a reasonable estimate of selling price. But I suspect that if you were to do this, you'd quickly find that a prebuilt with the same hardware would be a fair amount cheaper.

I suppose that the moral of the story is, that you should build so that you can get exactly what you want, and learn something in the process, but not because you think you'll save money.

This differs somewhat in the very high end of prebuilt and custom machines, as the price markup is higher at those price points. Meaning that you could likely build a high end machine at or below what it would cost to buy assembled, but not a low to mid priced machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/if-you-made-this-pc.143904/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hey guys,

I was looking at gettng an NAS to attach to my wireless network but heard a lot of stories of people building their own from spare parts saving a lot of money.

Im looking for a setup that I can use for storing and sharing files, share my printer and maybe a media server to stream music and videos.

Oh and I need to be able to read and write to it from both PC and Mac.

So im looking for opinions, build one myself or buy one?

Many thanks

A:Home made NAS vs prebuilt one

Jayb118 said:

Im looking for a setup that I can use for storing and sharing files, share my printer and maybe a media server to stream music and videos.Click to expand...

A NAS is storage only, so the print sharing and media server software will not run there -- you can of course place the media files on it too.

Oh and I need to be able to read and write to it from both PC and Mac.Click to expand...

Just format the HD as FAT32. Windows will only format 32gb of fat32 -- perhaps you could use the Mac. If the disk is very large (eg: 1 TB), I would create two partitions.

So im looking for opinions, build one myself or buy one?Click to expand...

IMO, the priority of choices would be

Buy a dedicated product
Use an old system as a file/print server
lastly build your own

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-made-nas-vs-prebuilt-one.141211/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a Dell Latitude D630. It has an admin password for the bios. Nothing is locked except for the settings. I can't change any of the settings in the bios. It lets me boot to windows just fine though. My question is, since I don't know that admin password for the bios, if I upgrade the bios firmware, will the admin password be deleted? Since I'm flashing the bios, I would think that all the settings will be lost. Is that the case?

A:Will upgrading the bios firmware on a Latitude D630 delete the bios admin password?

What?

Didn't you reply here, and say it worked (after the unusual 9th try ) http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic109612-109.html#post747024

Awfully strange!

A bios update can't remove passwords. As You Must Know

Oh and thanks for the extended long Title. I'm thinking this Topic of yours would be best removed? What do you think?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-upgrading-the-bios-firmware-on-a-latitude-d630-delete-the-bios-admin-password.138281/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi, everyone
I have an serious problem, ive buy an hp 6730B on ebay but when i want to upgrade the bios, my computer wants an administrator password for the flash.
The seller told me he have maybe do an error of typing, beacause his password don't work.
this computer is an compaq 6730B
S/n : CNU8466GNS
P/n : GB987ET#ABF
Service tag : C6730bUP8400W5X16GIBNNF20Qa

Thank you

A:HP 6730B bios admin password problem

hi,
I asked for the same problem in this forum but my threat was deleted with the suggestion to read the Forum FAQs.
I read them but I didn't find why they did it. So I want repeat the question adding it to the yours one:

HP CompaQ nx9005
hash code [ 15656]
I need the system password

I wrote and I just wrote again at the hp forum about it whitout any help, and the hp chat doesn't start because of a bag (I'm not the only one having this problem).

I read all messages of the reference topic about the same problem (as suggested) but I didn't find my needs.
I think I will have to ask about it a lot of time. Hope to find someone who can help me.
thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-6730b-bios-admin-password-problem.132944/
Relevancy 31.82%

i'm building a new desktop, will basically use it for programming, movie and music editing, and gaming as well. i need your help about the choices that i made.

and which one should i choose between those two?

im living in malaysia. my budget is under myr3000, but i prefer the whole system to be below 2500.. any help?

p/s: the last 3 digits are the price in malaysian ringgit

A:Intel vs AMD: Two lists are made and I need some opinions

i'm building a new desktop, will basically use it for programming, movie and music editing, and gaming as well. i need your help about the choices that i made.Click to expand...

So are you choosing out of those two, or building your own?

If those two are the same price, and you do a good amount of video editing, I vote for the intel Q8400.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-vs-amd-two-lists-are-made-and-i-need-some-opinions.132889/
Relevancy 52.46%

OK, my subject line might sound cryptic! Here is my set up: first router (main) is connected to the cable modem and provides std addresses as 192.168.1.2 (base is 192.168.1.1) etc. I have a second router (same brand) as a gateway connected to my main. This second router base address is 10.10.10.1 and all that are connected to this one have manually provided IP addresses (such as 10.10.0.2, etc). The main one provides WIFI access as for the second one do not.

Now my question: from my laptop who uses the WIFI network, how can I reach or connect to the other network (the one that is managed with the router with the 10.10.10.1 address? The purpose? I would like to access the computer connected to it as if they were part of the WIFIed network. And be able to access the router management page. Any clue?

A:Cascading routers - how to access admin features from one to the other?

first some basics;

examine the router (the box itself). everything attached to a LAN slot will default to
routing upwards using the WAN slot -- that's a big clue as to what the routing tables looks like.

second; to manage the configuration of a specific router:
a) WIRE a system directly to it
b) login to the router config page using the current router's ip-address

if your network is
modem---router#1----router#2---router#3

then a system attached to routerX will route upward to router(X-1) and NOT downward to router(X+1)

if you wish to have ALL systems (wired and wireless) see and share with each other, then you have too many distinct address.
Leave router#1 as is. disconnect router#2 from #1 and wire router#1 to a LAN port on router#2, leaving its WAN port empty. Log into router#2 and disable DHCP.

Now do the same for the wire from #2-->#3 and disable#3 DHCP.

All systems (wired or WiFi) will get ip-assignments from router#1 and will be able to
ping and share files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cascading-routers-how-to-access-admin-features-from-one-to-the-other.130510/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all having successfully cleansed said laptop from various nasties thanks in part to Kimsland and Bobbye i have an issue with the admin login Ok when booting up xp is set to fast user switching and the welcome screen login screen with user accounts Administrator is not included in the list So i hit ctrl alt del twice which then brings up the secure login dialog box So i key in Administrator and the Pavilion DV1000 login? HP admin password that i set and it comes up with quot Unable to log you on HP Pavilion DV1000 admin login? because of an account restriction quot WTF is that The only way i can log in as admin is to reboot into safe mode when it presents itself as another user in the welcome screen list giving in total which quite frankly is ridiculous The main reason the lappy was infected was due to uneducated users installing all kinds of crap as their accounts had admin rights I need to restrict them to limited accounts whilst having full access to the admin account without the need to reboot into safe mode I ve google searched for answers but couldn t find any I m looking for a way to solve this issue so with respect please don t come back with workarounds like quot press shift right-click run as kind of suggestions because i m after full access to admin account without rebooting So any help you can offer would be most appreciated thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv1000-admin-login.121078/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi guys really I have big problem I have Dell Latitude X1 and I don't have the admin password
I want to reboot it. but i don't know how if i can't even access to this computer ...Thank you

A:Admin Password

If you are the registered owner of the laptop you are probably better off contacting Dell support.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password.120623/
Relevancy 52.89%

I think I ve tamed my new beast of an ATI Radeon x Not sure WHY I absolutely had to have it but hey The top card for a few weeks anyway even though at stock fan speeds the CORE temps can reach Celcius what about fragile parts on the mobo nearby this little heatbox FYI - Running XP Pro V SP Anyway Riva Tuner seems to work at hot New Needs run? - RivaTuner run to X2s Admin 4870 Clearance comandeering the GPU fan speeds back up to reasonable - if a tad noisy - levels Its a little Klugey occaisionally stops working or seems to only want to work from either the startup folder or as from New 4870 X2s run hot - RivaTuner Needs Admin Clearance to run? a registry key The main problem I have is that I have a Visitor account setup I sublet my place occasionally for non-ME users to limit the amount of havoc they can do HOWEVER Riva tuner will not start or operate properly with anything but administrator privileges This is a non-starter So I can either grant guests full dominion over my PC or have my cooks itself into complete failure while restricting the access of my guests Is there a better mousetrap for RivaTuner Note that starting up as an admin and then logging on off is NOT an option as of the time the scenario will be a guest starting up without me around Many thanks to all who opine nbsp

A:New 4870 X2s run hot - RivaTuner Needs Admin Clearance to run?

100C would melt/damage the CPU quickly. Get a better 3rd party cooler

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-4870-x2s-run-hot-rivatuner-needs-admin-clearance-to-run.117807/
Relevancy 31.82%

exactally as the question, i have two cards that are nvidia 8600 gt's and they dont want to work together in sli. on the back of the cards one says like 2007, while the other one says 2008. they also have a slightly different layout on the circut board, but they both have the same heatsink and fan with the same stickers on them.

also just found out from gpu-z that each card has a different BIOS version, i'm not sure what this means, i would have though that they would be the same,
any help would be very appreciated, i need help and i'm begging at this point, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease help

A:Will the same cards but made at a different time work in SLI?

Yes they will work together in an SLI configuration

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-the-same-cards-but-made-at-a-different-time-work-in-sli.115792/
Relevancy 51.17%

I need to know the location of the password chip on the motherboard of a Dell Latitude C840. Everything I have tried so far has not worked. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this.

A:Admin Password chip location on Dell Latitude C840

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your answer may be found in this thread HERE Pages 10/11/12 maybe the interesting part for you.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password-chip-location-on-dell-latitude-c840.36272/
Relevancy 32.25%

I needed a good budget PC so I picked up these parts house Made computer a XFX Made a house computer motherboard shh i hate XFX too but they had a good deal AMD Black Edition got Made a house computer mobo chip for cant beat that Gigs of OCZ DDR SATA Gig HD Sunbeam Hush PSU ATI HD Went off with out a hitch Installed OS only problem is that My PC Freezes or Reboots when im doing the simplest tasks and it could be from mins from boot Made a house computer or minutes I Tested all Ram slots Ran a memory test all seemed clear and stick of ram would seem to fail on all slots like discribed in the paragraph above used sticks stick at a time both not effective well im out of idea s everything seems pretty air tight I even used my old GeForce GT same problem on board same problem does my problem persist in the Hard drive or the new motherboard Edit------------------ I never over clocked my cpu and it says Ghz not like it says X I can play with settings in bios but its on auto lol Heres the Error Codes Windows Spits at me XD BCCode b BCP BCP FFFFF CD BCP FFFFFADFB FD BCP OSVer SP Product All these parts are new and here is my DUMPS nbsp

A:Made a house computer

Inside the 3 MiniDumps:

BugCheck 3B, {80000003, fffff80001026cd0, fffffadfb713cd40, 0}
Probably caused by : afd.sys
PROCESS_NAME: IEXPLORE.EXE

BugCheck 3B, {80000003, fffff80001026cd0, fffffadfc3f4f070, 0}
PROCESS_NAME: MySpaceIM.exe

BugCheck 3B, {80000003, fffff80001026cd0, fffffadfb849fd40, 0}
PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exeClick to expand...

Download WinsockFix Here
And reset your Network
Can also be related to faulty Firewall settings (you may need to set defaults on any personal firewall (or uninstall it then re-install it)

You may need to update your Drivers too

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/made-a-house-computer.113371/
Relevancy 32.25%

would an internal SSD made into an external USB drive be just as fast or slower?

A:Internal SSD made into USB external

The usb bus would severely limit the speed between the computer and the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internal-ssd-made-into-usb-external.113028/
Relevancy 27.09%

If that title makes any sense But heres the predicament im in I recieved a working well sort of dell inspiron that housed the Samsung LTN P -L LCD display The notebook had been dropped and they tried to have it repaired before parting ways with it I didnt ask what they replaced because i didnt think about it really but looking at the case and the lcd brackets the lcd should have shattered like the metal brackets Testing display made a notebook for display the not on a was did So i now assume they replaced the LCD or its one tough screen So im thinking it might be the inverter board and the screen may be fine if not new i mean if so its going on ebay anyway i need to test it but my only means of doing so would be to hook it up to a Compaq Presario C the shitty ones that shipped with vista also free My concern is will the presario power inverter for the screen over power this Testing a display on a notebook the display was not made for display I cant seem to find anywhere what voltage the Presarios display and the Inspirons display run at as for the connections they are all the same i e video input and power The main difference i see is the one is just SXGA and the Presario s is WXGA this all came up when i was diggin through a box of laptops and found the presario and the inspiron screen i love boredom Thanks for any help nbsp

A:Testing a display on a notebook the display was not made for

My concern is will the presario power inverter for the screen over power this display...

no. Inverters are very, very specifically designed for given systems... and rarely can be used on anything but the lcd for which they were designed.

You can try it, but you might blow the screen or the motherboard... then again, you might not. But even if nothing is damaged, the inverter sockets will likely be different... and the screen may be way to bright or disappointlyin dim.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/testing-a-display-on-a-notebook-the-display-was-not-made-for.111654/
Relevancy 32.68%

I've been under the impression that microprocessors were "printed" on silicon sheets. However, if you watch this video you'll hear the old guy with the crazy hair describe them being "grown" like crystals.

While i can't imagine how that would be done, i also can't imagine how one would build a printer that could print "pixels" just a few atoms across.

Can someone please clarify?

A:How are microprocessors made?

This is an interesting question posted, Some one please explain to me too ^^. Do you know how a procesors proceses logic? Or, at least, don't care too much? If either of htose are true, it makes this post so much simpler. That and transistors.

Its very complicated and has hundreds of steps that involve alot of chemestry and tiny fine tuned manufactureing proceses. Starting with a tiny plate a shinyized silicon . You might have seen them in the Intel core 2 duo comercials, the brass colored square's next to each other.

Basicly, im pretty sure, stuff is "grown" over them then the chunks are taken out of the stuff that is "grown" on the silicon and leaves a patern on the chip, which magicly know's how to think.

in this intel article, i hear they use silicon dioxide as an insulator which they cover the silicon chip in, then cover that in light sensitive material which is removed in magical paterns using laser stensils then the insulator is removed underneath. This is done over and over with insulators and conductors in a preprogramed sequence until boom...done. something that can process. really this is probably most of it.

Your question:

While i can't imagine how that would be done, i also can't imagine how one would build a printer that could print "pixels" just a few atoms across.Click to expand...

Your right it seems, apparently you can't control the materials fine enough, which is waht the light sensitive materials are used. A laser is shined through an ultra fine stincil to "etch it in"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-are-microprocessors-made.110820/
Relevancy 31.39%

So Modem is drops call made/received a whenever I have been having issues with my internet service ever since I ve moved to my new house At first my internet did not work at all until SBC finally did something on their end and got my net up a few weeks after it was suppose to be up Well ever since it s been up a few months now whenever I receive or make a call my internet will just drop and then return a few seconds later No big deal but when your playing online games it really becomes a bother I only have one phone and it s connected to a filter in my kitchen and my modem is connected Modem drops whenever a call is made/received to the phone jack inside of my room on a two way split filter At first I thought the issue may have been a faulty filter so I switched the filters around and still no difference - I high doubt that all three spare filters I have would be faulty but I suppose that could be a possibility Alright then I went and decided that since I just moved into this house the internal wiring might be bad so I went around and checked all the phone jacks and took them apart to see if all the wires seemed to be connected correctly Seemed okay but I still cleaned and Modem drops whenever a call is made/received striped and reconnected some wires that looked suspicious After all that work Still no difference Same DC when phone call was made Then I decided to do one last test I connected my modem and phone directly up to my NID on a splitter After a bit all the lights on my modem turned green and I was able to use the net I thought that since the setup was hooked up directly to the NID that would bypass all possible faulty wiring within the house but when I made a call the connection still drops WTH Also I noticed that only the red and green wires were connected within my NID but NOT the black and yellow ones I know that those are for secondary output and input but do or should they matter It also doesn t seem to matter whether I used an ethernet cord or wireless because the DSL light itself goes red and it doesn t seem as if it s wireless amp phone signals interfering with each other Well I m fresh out of ideas anyone want to give me some ideas Laptop HPDV connected wirelessly - Vista Custom Built Desktop connected wirelessly - XP SP SBC Yahoo DSL mps kbs Wire HG-B Router Modem nbsp

A:Modem drops whenever a call is made/received

call SBC and have them check sounds like the telephone line has problems, explain to them exactly what it is doing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/modem-drops-whenever-a-call-is-made-received.109523/
Relevancy 52.89%

hello the dell of my brother is blocked with an administrator password, I will to know if it is possible to regulate this problem

the model is dell latitude 110L, the service tag is #204FM1J-595B

who could help me please ??

if someone can help me,contact me

thanks guys and good luck

A:Dell Latitude110L admin password

Your brother may ask DELL for master password to unlock the computer.

maxpaynemafia said:

hello the dell of my brother is blocked with an administrator password, I will to know if it is possible to regulate this problem

the model is dell latitude 110L, the service tag is #204FM1J-595B

who could help me please ??

if someone can help me,contact me

thanks guys and good luckClick to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude110l-admin-password.51418/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi, i have a problem, the fan in my computer keeps speeding up and slowing down, then it does it for longer, i had this problem before and Fujitsu ended up replacing around £600 worth of parts, thank god for insurance! Any help please?

A:Help! Made computer fan

Yes it is but i didnt know why it was doing it all of a sudden. I have now realised, it was because my mother had put the sub woofer over the cpu fan outlet. Silly woman, its stopped now i moved it!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-made-computer-fan.105411/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi

Is there a way to remove administrative tools and command prompt from a windows 2003 server lock down terminal session?

Thanks,
G

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-admin-tools-and-command-prompt-from-terminal-session.103873/
Relevancy 52.46%

Cannot Login to Netgear DG834G router wirelessly from Dell Laptop

Hi heres hoping you can help me.

I have a wireless connection through a Netgear DG834G from a Dell M6300 running Windows XP which is working fine with respect to accessing the internet..

I also have a desktop (wired to the router) which is also running fine.

The problem is that I cannot log into the router wirelessly as Admin on 192.168.0.1
I can login to the router as Admin from the wired PC, but not the laptop !!
I get to the login screen to input password but when pressing enter the login box just re-appears with the password field blank again.
I know the password entered is correct and accurate as it works from the wired desktop

(note: I have changed my laptop recently from HP to Dell, I was able to access the router wirelessly as Admin to perform maintenance with the HP model)

Any ideas ?

A:Cannot connect to wireless router as admin wirelessly

Are all the settings correct for the wireless laptop.
encryption method WEP, WPA, WPA2
passwords

Does the router even see this new laptop?
Do you still have the older laptop?
Check to see if the DELL firewall is disabled under Windows, make sure it off.
Try opening up a session: ping 192.168.0.1
Does the laptop get IP by DHCP,

ipconfig /release wait.... ipconfig /renew wait... try it again does work then
try static IP then do ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns

If all still doesn't work try..
re-joining the wireless router
disconnect using the wireless in range method on the laptop
reconnect but remove the password then re-do it then click on connect see if the wireless laptop can connect.
If it does reboot the laptop and login with your login ID password
Now open the browser and see if you can get into your router
Make sure you do not have any spyware or popup blocker active..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-connect-to-wireless-router-as-admin-wirelessly.103395/
Relevancy 51.17%

Greetings,

Computer- Dell Inspiron 8100
Problem- Admin Bios Password

I have tried numoerous things, and in the end seems eeprom is only way to reset this.

I looked and looked, it says under motherboard, yet I never found a "24OC" 4 legged chip on the board to reset.

This cpu is 7 yrs old.

So far no luck fixing this one or my Toshiba and have both been reduced to eeprom reset as only viable option.

TY,

XaNaToS

A:Cant find EEprom on Dell Inspiron 8100 (admin bios pw)

All Dell (and others) BIOS and Admin password removal to this thread only:

--> HP / Dell / etc. Laptop password help (April - June 2008)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-eeprom-on-dell-inspiron-8100-admin-bios-pw.102977/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello all hardware wizards, sorry to take your precious time .

I just purchased HP NC8230 laptop from eBay. It's really great laptop. The laptop not require boot password and so it reaches to windows XP, but unfortunately I discovered that its bios is admin protected, therefore I can't access bios and make any modification. I know that these business laptops have extra bios protection and therefore it's not so easy task to reset their password.

Can someone, that have experience with this kind of laptops, help me? It would be very appreciated.
Ozmaia

A:HP NC8230 laptop Bios Admin Password

read the faqs AND post in the laptop forum. Your answer is already there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-nc8230-laptop-bios-admin-password.102649/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,
Could someone help me? I have a Dell Latitude D510 laptop and I put an BIOS admin passwoed an year ago. Now I need to remeve it but I don't remember. I tried the latitude.exe program but did not worked. Service tag nr. is 6TXB42J-595B . Thanks a lot in advance.

A:Dell laptop reset bios admin password

U will have to do, a chip reset.
Coz i also keep trying those ideas with the latitude application but it failed, but when i did the chip reset, thing worked out exactly how i wanted them.
All the best

Cheers
Robin

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-laptop-reset-bios-admin-password.92541/
Relevancy 31.39%

I'm in the UK and have a Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray disc player. I've just bought a high definition camcorder and will want to create Blu-ray discs of my HD projects. But I've been told that "home-made" Blu-ray discs won't play on my Sony Blu-ray players unless the player is modified by using some kind of unlocking code via the remote control. Can anybody please advise me on this? Many thanks.

A:Home-made Blu-ray disc incapatibility on Sony player

This is most likely caused by DVD Region Code conflicts:

Region Code Where It Plays

0 Any DVD Player

1 United States & Canada

2 UK, Europe, Japan, Middle East, Egypt, South Africa, Greenland

3 South East Asia

4 Mexico, South America, Central America, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Caribbean

5 Former Soviet Union, Eastern Europe, India, most of Africa, North Korea, Mongolia

6 China

We might be able to unlock this feature but we need your remotes model number

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-made-blu-ray-disc-incapatibility-on-sony-player.97993/
Relevancy 52.89%

I am in sales. I have a new Dell d610 Latitude Laptop. I need to reset some of the stuff in the BIOS for wireless, etc and the IT guys at my company seem to have mislogged or fogotten the admin pw for BIOS. Anyway they have given me five alrady and non of them work. They say I will have to ship the unit in to Chicago and they will fix it. That will take a WEEK that I do not have. How can I reset the password? The settings in the BIOS I need to change are locked and the message says the setup is locked-enter the admin pw into SECURITY UNLOCK SETUP to enable changes. Any advice is welcomed!

A:How to reset the BIOS admin password

This subject was briefly mentioned HERE

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-reset-the-bios-admin-password.48537/
Relevancy 52.46%

Help Pls, I could'nt find the 24c.... chip on dell latitude 640m. Can somebody help me here so I can use the shorting method. Or is there any other way out? Help me to locate this chip pls.

A:Admin. password on dell latitude 640m

Admin. password on dell inspiron 640m

Pls, help needed for Admin.password (grey screen)on dell inspiron 640m. I mistakenly posted for latitude 640m earlier. I'm sorry! I actually meant that of dell inspiron 640m. I need help on how to locate the bios chip 24c...... or how to over come the grey screen with Admin. password protection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password-on-dell-latitude-640m.89654/
Relevancy 52.89%

I couln,t find the 24C chip on the Dell XPS M1210 can someone help me so I can use the shorting Method. Help to locate the chip please or anybody knows the password for this laptop XPS M1210
Tag# 7X5GH1-595B

A:ADMIN PASSWORD on Dell XPS M1210

read: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic86309.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password-on-dell-xps-m1210.90205/
Relevancy 51.6%

I recently bought a dell inspiron 6400 N series computer from a fellow soldier who left to return to the states. I was planning on using this computer for movie watching and to save pictures on to send to family. I went to turn it on one day after using it for a week and the computer started up to a screen that asked me for an administrator password. I did not receive this password or do not have knowledge of one that was saved. I cannot use this laptop and I was just starting to enjoy it! This was my way to have some down time away from this place. Can someone try and help me please? I tried to email rustam_ but got no reply. I tried to go to different websites but found no help. Someone please help me! I would really appreciate it.

A:Lost Admin Password in IRAQ help Dell6400 Inspiron

I'm assuming this is a windows password we're talking about here, and that you're running XP. If it is asking you for a BIOS password (black screen, white text), then you're probably screwed, unless there is a BIOS reset jumper within easy reach. If not, have fun opening the entire laptop to find it.

If it gets to windows and wants a password, try this:

grab either active password changer (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Active-Password-Changer.shtml)

or

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/)

Follow the instructions closely and there's a good chance one of the two will work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-admin-password-in-iraq-help-dell6400-inspiron.89021/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hi all im new Chip Made Up Blow RAM Vista My :( here so apologies if this is in the wrong section I love the look of vista its my kinda OS so Vista Made My RAM Chip Blow Up :( i decided the other day to install it i currently had XP Home here was my PCs specs ---------- ASUS M N WS Professional motherboard GB GSkill DDR MHZ RAM SATA Hard Drives of them at GB each NVIDIA GEforce GX Graphics Card A Whopping GB drools W PSU Vista Made My RAM Chip Blow Up :( AMD Athlon X Dual Core Processor MMX DNow CPU s Standard DVD Drive LG Lightscribe DVDRW drive burns to all formats Thermaltake Bigwater SE Liquid cooling system ---------- Vista Made My RAM Chip Blow Up :( Basically this machine is a monster so i get vista home premium installing after formatting both hard drives and go downstairs for some food come back later and theres an error screen saying quot your machine unexpectedly restarted please initialize the installation again quot ok i can go with that so i set it off again go downstairs come back to be greeted by the dreaded blue screen of death i really am kicking myself because i didnt bother writing down the error code hit the reset button with the intent of re-installing xp as vista was now beginning to annoy me and nothing nada zip the lights were on everything was whirring and chirping as normal but not even a boot up screen the hard drive light was continuously on I had this problem before it turned out to be one of the PSU connectors that was faulty and i had used it on the lightscribe drive so i tried taking the cable and booting without the lightscribe drive still nothing I spent three hours re-wiring the whole thing in case i had knocked something accidentally to no avail I googled the error at work i remembered seeing some people had removed a RAM chip and it worked so i tried removing a chip and the damn pc boots first time so i did the following - checked the working RAM chip in every RAM slot all works fine - checked just the bad chip in every port no boot up - checked them both in unison but switched around from which port they were in originally no boot what in the hell is going on has vista just blown up my RAM chip Has bill gates gone one step too far this time If theres any chance i can get it working again i would welcome the extra RAM i dont particually need it at the moment but i paid for the thing thanks all nbsp

A:Vista Made My RAM Chip Blow Up :(

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Sticks of ram go bad all the time. I very much doubt that Vista was to blame, in fact, I`ve never heard of software killing ram. It`s just a coincidence.

If one of your sticks of ram has gone bad, there`s nothing you can do but replace it.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-made-my-ram-chip-blow-up.84825/
Relevancy 52.89%

My dell d620 had its bios passwords set while I was away, either my daughter or my son are responsible, funny they both deny touching my laptop!
I bought it from ebay, and dell, well there are dell of course!

If you might be able to find some time to get my password please Thanx so much!

My service tag#6PPCPC1-595B
Express service code#14614931521

A:Dell D620 Admin/sys Password Help

Boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before the Windows screen appears. Go into Control Panel, User Accounts, Administrator, and remove the passwords from there

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-d620-admin-sys-password-help.80925/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi Rustam

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop off a friend that was moving out of town it was a great deal after a couple of days later i lend it to my brother and he returned it with a message saying "This computer system #2ZJTN91-595B, is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password".

Service Tag: 2ZJTN91
Express Code: 6503176693

Can you help?
Thank you.
Ruben

A:Dell Inspiron 1300 admin password problem

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic68412.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1300-admin-password-problem.74199/
Relevancy 46.44%

How remove password BIOS(Admin password & canfigure setup),

A:Admin password & canfigure setup password in BIOS remouver

Turn off computer. Find the battery on the motherboard. Take it out for a couple minutes. Put it back in and restart computer. This should reset cmos and solve your problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password-canfigure-setup-password-in-bios-remouver.74308/
Relevancy 52.89%

I bought dell inspiron 6000 2 years ago, and I'm setup the admin bios password. Now i'm forgot the password is. Please show me how to reset the admin bios password.

Thanks all

A:Inspiron 6000 admin password

Take a look at this thread HERE.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-6000-admin-password.72047/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,
I am new to this forum, seems to be loads of good info. I tried a search but
could not seem to find what I need. Hope you can help.

I have 4 machines all running xp, all are wireless networked, and files can be transfered etc providing the files on each machine are shared.

How can I setup 1 machine to have admin rights to the other 3, so I can use remote shut down and things like that.

Thanks for your help

Bun

A:Admin rights

you need to set up a remote desktop connection. firewalls must be configured to accept remote desktop connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-rights.64936/
Relevancy 32.68%

First time I hooked up just the motherboard and power supply to self-made won't pc work New mobo and fans I tried turning the power New self-made pc won't work on and it seemed like the motherboard turned on motherboard light turned on the fans turned on etc So I shut it off disconnected all the power and all and then put in the vid cards and sound card I turned the power on again and the vid card fans were running New self-made pc won't work everything seemed like it was working ok but then after a few seconds some smoke started rising from the small space in between the sound card and the bottom of the case I took a quick look before I turned the power off but I couldn t tell if it was coming from the motherboard or the sound card I took everything apart and looked at the mobo and sound card but I couldn t notice and damage that I could see I tested just the mobo and the light turns on so I think it still working properly but i m not sure So after that I put everything back together again This time I noticed in the mobo manual that you need to put a small wire onto both vid cards linking them together so I did that too I started by plugging in my monitor which I know works cause I have another crap computer that it s normally hooked up to using the little converter plug into the bottom of the New self-made pc won't work cards Turned on the power and this time it seemed again like everything was on Hard drive was spinning vid card fans were spinning mobo light was on Two things I noticed was that no signal feed picture was going to the monitor and the hard drive light on the front of the pc wasn t turning on Not sure if I hooked up the hard drive light plug correctly honestly but I heard it spinning on start up so it seems to be working I tried moving the montior plug to the other of slots on that nd card and still with no picture moved it to the top card but again nothing At the moment I have absolutely no clue what to do I have no idea if what that smoke was coming from is what is preventing something from connecting via the motherboard and I need to get the motherboard replaced or if maybe i m not hooking up something right for the vid cards I tried just booting the motherboard up like to look at the BIOS with the hard drive unhooked but everything else still plugged in and again no picture but I did not get any message from the monitor saying there s no feed no signal so i m really stumped here s the parts I have motherboard - ASUS P N -SLI Deluxe NF SLI cpu - INTEL PD G x M R dual core vid cards - MSI N NX GT-VT D EHD x pow supply - RAIDMAX RX- F W memory - G KST DII KVR D N G R x sound card - SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY ZS PCI OEM any suggestions would be great my pc is like my life and I need to get this thing working nbsp

A:New self-made pc won't work

Get the mobo and the sound card replaced, then read the manual on setting up sli. If sli cards arent set up properly then they wont work!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-self-made-pc-wont-work.61162/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have recently received a Latitude D and I have tried for hours on end to make this thing work I ve researched all over the internet and have even came across some files from someone nice I even had a local computer shop take a look at it they ve Dell Latitude ADMIN D400 Password. dealt with Dell Latitude D400 ADMIN Password. this before and they were unsuccesful at erasing the password I showed them where the chip was exactly on the board and how to short the pins out I am Dell Latitude D400 ADMIN Password. asking if someone could Dell Latitude D400 ADMIN Password. please E-MAIL me every way and everything they know about this laptop and removing the admin password I also live in canada so I don t know if I ll be able to get a hold of an eeprom chip Also it might take awhile becuase it will most likely go through customs So please can someone email me pictures and step-by-step directions would also be appreciated Thanks You can reach me at motive murder hotmail com I also have a dell inspiron is there anything I can use off there or is there A way I can hook up the systems and bypass then erase the password from there nbsp

A:Dell Latitude D400 ADMIN Password.

Reset Password

Hi

Your right in your assumption, it takes many attempts to short the chip correctly, but it can be done,

Email paragon33 at the address found on my site, he is an expert at these, you could also take a look at this site here.

Regards

(PS this thread may get moved to one of the open threads)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude-d400-admin-password.59201/
Relevancy 31.82%

hey what program and or program do i have to use to extract a movie from a dvd without it being huge. i see all these movie that are like 600mb in like avi format.??? and how do i get around the copyright crap also?

A:Ripping dvds made easy!

dvd shrink and dvd decrypter are popular free programs

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ripping-dvds-made-easy.58512/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi Im really hoping someone can help me I just brought an AMD Athlon XP and an ASUS A N x Deluxe Im and decided to try to put it together myself and add on my graphics card memory etc All seemed fine some LED switch confusion about where to put them because it was different to my old motherboard but i think that got sorted and everything seemed fine I switched on my comp Computer, self restarts, made HELP: :/ Computer New and HELP: Computer restarts, New Computer, self made :/ i went through the BIOS menu and stuff When computer tries to start though it just restarts It comes up with a sec countdown to restart and i cant think of the problem My RAM worked fine in old comp and so did graphics cards so i dont think thats the problem My processor however is running at - degrees C Could this be the problem and it restarting because of overheating If so what can i do i have a good heatsink and fan that goes with my processor I didnt apply the thermal paste and i suppose that could be it If however the problem isnt overheating anyone have any ideas Would appreciate cheers nbsp

A:HELP: Computer restarts, New Computer, self made :/

Welcome to Techspot!

Remove the Heatsink and properly apply some paste.It is irresponsible not to , whether you have gotten away with it or not, remains to be seen.
It reduces heat the cooler the better Period.
If you still have issues take some time reading this thread ,it covers a lot of issues.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7934.html
Good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-computer-restarts-new-computer-self-made.17846/
Relevancy 52.46%

Last night since I was having slow/non-existent connection issues, I turned off the NAT option on my Belkin wireless G router. Immediately afterwards I lost internet connection as I expected but now can't connect to the config page @ 192.168.2.1 . I tried running the setup software again and it can't communicate with the router, either. Tried hitting the reset button several times, disconnecting the router, etc. but the config page still won't load. Is there anyway to manually revert the router back to factory settings?

A:Can't connect to admin page on Belkin Router

So this is with the pc connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable?
Go to My Network Places, and on the left theres a thing that says "show all UPnP devices" or similar. Click on it, then go to your LAN settings and set your IP address to auto, or 192.168.2.3 vice versa. Plug in/turn your router back on and it should come up as a network place. From that doubleclick it and enter admin etc..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-connect-to-admin-page-on-belkin-router.55043/
Relevancy 31.82%

I just updated my BIOS version and now I could actually make it through the installation of the download of the driver. but now no sound comes out, what is the deal with this thing! it's an on board sound card dell precision workstation 360 with xp pro. does anyone know which driver I should use for this thing?

A:AC'97 Driver not found, some progress made

You dont have to guess, just go to the dell4me website and the support\download section, enter the service tag number ( or model) and you can access all the proper drivers for that machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ac97-driver-not-found-some-progress-made.52973/
Relevancy 31.39%

Can anyone help find the culprit?
Zipped mini-dump attached.
Thank you
ErikP

A:An attempt was made to write to read-only memory

It`s difficult to be sure from only one minidump.

For reference only. Your minidump crashes at CnxTgP.sys. This is part of your Conexant modem drivers. It also references wbtray.exe. This is the WinBackup 2 Traybar.

Uninstall Winbackup and see if your system becomes stable.

Try updating the drivers. If that doesn`t help, maybe try a different modem.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/an-attempt-was-made-to-write-to-read-only-memory.49760/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have an older HP900 laptop which is a nice size to take in our motor home. However, it overheats after running for about 15 minutes. I understand there is a bios update that turns the cooling fan on sooner but I can't get into the bios because of password protection. Any ideas on how to crack the password or any pins to short to reset it?

The laptop will run fine if I rais it off the table and have a fan blowing on it from behind. Cooling fan in laptop runs, but it only comes on shortly before a shutdown if I am not running an additional fan blowing under it.

thanks for any ideas or help

Woodie

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp900-laptop-overheating-and-admin-bios-password.48397/
Relevancy 54.18%

is there a way to find out the admins password on a network.

A:admin password

Yes. Ask the admin using e-mail for example

No one will be able to give a sensible answer to such a vague question.

And no, no one is going to tell you how to steal peoples passwords and do other illegal or unethical stuff.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password.47944/
Relevancy 52.89%

Ok firstly I should mention that one solution to this problem would be to plug the HD into my machine and use fsutil to reset the dirty flag However and pwd set unbootable to No dirty Need xp - flag admin I m a stubborn person and know that there must be a way of doing this easily without taking my machine to bits If I do it in what is for this occasion the hard way I will be able to save a little time in the future should the situation arise again I ve been asked to fix an unbootable computer I had intended to boot into the recovery console to issue chkdsk r fixboot and fixmbr commands Unfortunately I the admin password for the installation isn t available it s been forgotten rolleyes and so I can t log into it I used the offline NT password amp registry editor utility but because the drive is flagged dirty improper shutdown no doubt It won t change or blank the password So I got out my trusty NTFS DOS CD and booted into DOS taking a copy of FSUTIL with me which as expected doesn t work under DOS Hoping that the password was something simple ish I grabbed a copy of the SAM and Systemf files from system config and tried cracking the administrator password It seems that the password is at least characters and so will take an age to crack This leaves me with the option of resetting the dirty bit on the volume so that I can reset the admin password to blank boot into the recovery console and repair windows but I see no fsutil equivelant for DOS probably because NTFS was never meant Need to set dirty flag - No admin pwd and xp unbootable for DOS lol It occurs to me though that there must be some utility or other that ll do it or failing that various linux flavours Need to set dirty flag - No admin pwd and xp unbootable have NTFS support and should be able to do it - or possibly some sort of live recovery cd for windows Any ideas anybody All this for the sake of a single BIT of info on the hard drive A simple or It s outrageous lol nbsp Need to set dirty flag - No admin pwd and xp unbootable

A:Need to set dirty flag - No admin pwd and xp unbootable

Auditor Security cd from remote-exploit.org is what you need my friend very handy for cracking admin passwords. just boot to it and you are gold. don't know if you are familiar with this collection cd and if not they have the instruction pdf on the site for download as well. it will crack a 8 letter and asterick password in probably ten to twenty minutes..my admin pass is 15 unprintables and asterick characters and it cracked it with the incremental option on the sam file. took alot longer than it should for your current issue..just an idea mate

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-set-dirty-flag-no-admin-pwd-and-xp-unbootable.47274/
Relevancy 32.25%

Ok i decided to make a gaming computer to save myself some money Well the next one i make i might save some money but this one had expensive learning curves This is the system i have built P Made serious fps first Comp....Some my problems with gigs x pc dual channel Bfg gt gb hard drive gigaybyte Ga- ik MB Liquid cooled video card and cpu I intially had overheating problems when i first completed cpu which is why i switched to liquid cooling Now my problem is in games like Bf CS S and lineage in run about - fps sometimes for anywhere from - mins And then it will run at sometimes I have tried to turn all graphics down to minimum make sure no AA or AF on and still same thing happens Which is wired i think that it can sometimes run and then most of the time it kicks down to - I thought it might be my video card so i purchaed Made my first Comp....Some serious problems with fps from best buy and installed it i still had the same problem Now when my cpu used to overheat when i first made the comp it ran no hotter than C Do you think this may have dammged it When the FPS drops to its lowest point i Made my first Comp....Some serious problems with fps think i can hear either hard drive or cpu noise I Made my first Comp....Some serious problems with fps will greatly appreciate any feedback giddy tyvm nbsp

A:Made my first Comp....Some serious problems with fps

your cpu is probably fine, my system idles at about 35 - 45 C and then when playing games it gets up to about 55C i should think. Normally CPU's will overheat at about 75C +. So your CPU is probably fine. The noise you hear could be your harddrive, what make and what speed is it? 7200rpm, 5400rpm? Also have you got the latest drivers for your video card, the latest i believe is 81.85...

have you got the latest Direct X 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/made-my-first-comp-some-serious-problems-with-fps.35919/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi, I have to write a paper about make or buy decisions for laptop companies. I don't really know much about the subject at all, I'm not that familiar with computer hardware. which components are usually made in-house and which are outsourced to other companies? would a company such as Dell make most of the computer or not? For example, would the frame, screen, and circuits be made by dell, another factory contracted to dell, or would the parts come from various companies and assembled at one location? How does Dell work, is it a service based company or does it produce the actual machines? I really appreciate any thoughts or ideas, I'm struggling here... thanks, katie

A:Which components of a laptop would be made in house and which would be outsourced?

It depends on the product line. Some models from a company will be made mostly in-house while others will be rather generic products from white box makers with a custom paint job. You will find more in-house work in high-end models while the cheapest ones are mostly outsourced.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-components-of-a-laptop-would-be-made-in-house-and-which-would-be-outsourced.26121/
Relevancy 52.89%

i just found a tip too review the lastest errors that my computer has encountered............ in dealing with all the mess that i've had troubles.... e.g. http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10796 (mo money(psu)......... mo problems)

anyways... i have about 5 thousand system and application records in the event viewer......... everything from service control manager to save dump to DCOM and workstation errors.......................................................................................................all of which i'm clueless

is that many errors normal...........

oh and they all range within a few days.......... usually only mere seconds apart

A:admin tools/ event viewer???

Fortunately, not all errors in the Event Viewer (EV) are real problems. Actually, many are not problems at all. You can adjust the size of the records that are being held in the EV by right-clicking either Application, Security or System and selecting Properties. You can set the size of each file to keep or clear.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-tools-event-viewer.10854/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hi I have a problem I m gonna move to another room in my house and I want to have the internet connection in my room so I want to know if the next can be done The problem - Once I move i ll have the cable modem and this connection of be made? Can type the ADSL router in a separate room Yes I have two separate broadband connections The Target - To pass that connections to the other room where there s a Switch and have a proxy server with NIC s be able to connect to the home lan the ADSL router and the cable modem The way to do it i have in mind Can this type of connection be made? - In the room where the modems are i ll put a hub to wich i ll connect the adsl router and the cable modem then i ll plug another lan cable to the uplink port that will go to the switch in the room where my computers will Can this type of connection be made? be Then in that room besides the other computers that will be conected to the switch the server will have cables going to the switch NIC will have DHCP enabled for the cable modem the nd one will have a static x ip address and a subnet mask for the ADSL router and the rd NIC will have a static ip x and subnet mask to have access to the home network The question - Will that work I d like to know if it s possible to do that before I go to buy the cables and the hub Thans a lot nbsp

A:Can this type of connection be made?

How far is there new distance between your pc and the ADSL/ Cable Modem? If i m not mistaken, Cat5 alone can transmit data up to 185m only ! Any longer distance may require a booster to boost the signal.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-this-type-of-connection-be-made.5244/
Relevancy 32.25%

What would be the very cheapest way to have a Complete PC & Monitor that is just built good enough to run Win2k with Microsoft Word?

I already have 2 computers, 1 new and 1 old, I need a third system built or bought as a simple stable machine good for anyone to use Word on for some word processing and e-mail.

A:A PC made for WORD & E-MAIL only

If you are looking for specs, and ONLY want to run Windows 2K and Office, e-mail, etc, then we are doing it at my work on:

P266MHz
3.2 GB HDD
Any old PCI graphics card.
128 MB RAM

Machines only being equiped with 64MB are usually still Windows 98 and NT4, but still do these tasks (i.e. office work, e-mail, word, etc) with no problems.

You should be able to pick these components up VERY cheaply, hopefully from friends who have upgraded their systems and have these sorts of things still left behind.

Alternatively, some kind of sale where some company has gone into liquidation and is selling off all its old kid might also suit you well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-pc-made-for-word-e-mail-only.200/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello I have a friend who used his computer yesterday and today when he attempted to logon to his computer as himself (admin) it tells him "user profile cannot be loaded". I attempted to help him boot into safe mode and change his password. He changed it and it still brings up the same error message. He does have another profile account that his daughter uses but no admin actions can be taken from her account. What can I do to help my friend? This is a challenge I have never encountered during my learning of how to troubleshoot pc's.

A:Can't logon to admin windows vista profile

Ouch. Sounds like a corrupted %USERPROFILE% and the fix requires the Admin-Id.

Have you tried running a System Restore? I will prompt for the admin password.
Issue is, not entirely sure the user's profiles are saved in the restore points.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-logon-to-admin-windows-vista-profile.216968/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello all, I am encountering the following issue when trying to install XTU, "verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services".

I am trying to install on a newly purchased Asus ROG G751JT running Win 8.1. I have been trying to sort this out for days and its driving me crazy!!
I have tried everything I know over the past 24 hours but to no avail and your help would be much appreciated.

A:Installing XTU, "verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services"

XTU? What is this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-xtu-verify-that-you-have-sufficient-privileges-to-install-system-services.215866/
Relevancy 42.14%

I am trying to create a non admin user account, which I know how to do the simple way, however I have been using the admin user account for a while now however I want to transfer/copy program setting, etc to this knew user account.

so I want to: create a non admin user account which is duplicate of the current existing admin account but from her on to install software etc I install under admin account.

I am using Vista too

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
David Lambie

A:How do I copy existing admin user account to normal user account

I would
> Create the new profile with admin privileges
> Transfer stuff things to the new profile (see here)
> Then remove admin privilege from the new account

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-copy-existing-admin-user-account-to-normal-user-account.146098/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi all So the situation is this I had to setup an existing PC in Admin Privileges Lost the office for a new starter and decided to be lazy and simply change the user account name Lost Admin Privileges I know that was a schoolboy error Since doing this the computer allows me to login fine with the new username password but keeps asking for the Admin login details whenever I try to make system changes update software etc The user account I changed was the admin account so not sure why this is happening I ve tried using every username password that has ever been assigned to that PC but nothing works Is there any workaround to get Admin privileges back so I can fix this FYI - The PC is a member of our work domain so figure this has further complicated things Really hoping this isn t going to need a full re-installation of windows fingers crossed someone out there can give me some good news Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Lost Admin Privileges

The prompt for Admin during installs is actually a good thing (that is the UAC and you REALLY want it to prompt) BUT you can almost always use any log in the Administrators Group

use CP->User Accounts
add user
set type = Admin
*must* add password to it

save and close

runas /user:$whatever$you$just$created cmd
give that password

it will then create the %profile% for that new user

From then on, you can reply with $whatever$you$just$created and its password

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-admin-privileges.204429/
Relevancy 51.6%

I wanted to change my user account name so I followed instructions from a article I found online in which it looked credible enough but apparently not It instructed to RUN quot Control Userpasswords quot which brings up the User accounts window Then I clicked on account I wanted to change name which happens to be main Admin account and clicked on quot PROPERTIES quot There I was able to change quot USER NAME quot Everything seemed fine until I tried to open WORD but failed with an error message it read quot click run virtualization han quot on top of window and the number quot quot inside the window I then went back to reverse what I did and found the quot USER ACCOUNT quot window empty my account that used to be there was deleted So I tried to System Restore and that failed with another error window I also noticed I was not able to open UNINSTALL PROGRAMS window can any body help me I would greatly appreciate your time nbsp

A:Accidentally deleted admin account by changing user name

Start Windows system restore before you boot. Tap F8 key as it's turning on, you'll get the option (Windows 7).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accidentally-deleted-admin-account-by-changing-user-name.200360/
Relevancy 53.32%

So I can't install my adobe acrobat pro unless I'm logged in under admin.
Any idea how I can do this to my other account?
This happens with multiple programs, not just adobe.
I am running windows xp Pro

A:Software won't run unless under admin account

make the other accounts admin. or install software for all the users.

if you only have limited account restart computer and keep pressing F8 button and when options show up choose Safe Mode and choose Administrators Account.

Hope it helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/software-wont-run-unless-under-admin-account.139350/
Relevancy 53.32%

I am trying to find a way to run some admin apps or utilities from my flash drive so that my tools and credientials are available and valid where ever I might be onsite.
Tools that I use are simple ones like Active Directory, DHCP, and a vpn app called Bozteck. Portability would make support more readily available.

A:Portable admin tools?

Here have used a program that runs various portable apps from a flash stick.
Whether it would work with security and your various log-ins I don't know.
But can say this program is easy to work with and to carry many types of program around. It's at;
http://www.codyssey.com/products/codysafe.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/portable-admin-tools.162198/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all,

a works laptop has gone screwey (it mainly affects the user account) and i need to get the pop3 mail settings etc off that account.
It lets me log in as admin only, albeit very slow and haphazard. It hangs when trying to log in as the user.
Whilst logged in as admin is there any way i can access the users email and export to a .pst so i can then re-import it onto a working laptop? If i log in to the user in safe mode, then try opening outlook it comes up with an error, asking me to restart the program or reinstall.
Using Outlook 2003 on XP Pro SP2 laptop.
Thanks for any help offered

A:Exporting users .pst from Admin account

Just browse to the relevant folder in the user's Documents and Settings..

If it denies access, take ownership of the folder and subfolders.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/exporting-users-pst-from-admin-account.94661/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello All,

I am looking for some good Admin tools that will run from my USB key. I have already found ,loaded and tested a Registry Editor. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your time.

A:Admin Tools on a USB Key

Here are a few that run on a usb U3 drive: http://tinyurl.com/3c4ee6

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-tools-on-a-usb-key.93673/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi,

I have had the issue in the past of people changing my computers passwords and I simply boot from my usb or cd and reset the password. However somehow the password was changed on my LG Flatron N1941w and it has neither a usb port or a cd drive. The only thing I can think of at this point is converting the mouse/keyboard port to usb and booting from that...but there must be a simpler way? any input appreciated

A:Changing admin password without usb/cd capabilities

Did you attempt to boot into Safe Mode?

IF/once you get there,

change the pwd for the admin account(s)
use a better method of picking passwords - -
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_strength
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32040?hl=en

Also understand that multiple accounts with Admin rights allows any of them to change all passwords - - obviously just not going to work.

In addition, allowing multiple persons to share the same account has the same problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-admin-password-without-usb-cd-capabilities.195446/
Relevancy 54.61%

Quick question. Hope this is the right forum. When you open a site by clicking run as admin, instead of open. Will it run as admin, for just that time or all times after that?

A:Run as Admin.

Just for that one time, you need to allow it each time unless you change the permissions on it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/run-as-admin.193221/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello everyone the other day I shutdown my computer then upon restarting it - I entered my password at the login screen as password *correct* 7 admin rejects Windows I always do Now I know for a fact it is the right password And the strange thing is when I get the error Wrong username or password it doesn t happen immediately it goes like it s about to start windows then comes back to the error Now I have bypassed it somehow by pure will by entering the password over and over again And when I was finally logged in I did a system restore to see if that would work But upon restarting it brought me Windows 7 rejects *correct* admin password back to the login and the problem remains trying to get back in again Also I went and set the setting to bypass the password by unchecking it in the control panel So now when restarting my computer it goes automatically to the error instead of the login screen So before even typing the password it just presents the error right off the bat This is all very strange any help is appreciated ------------------ System details Windows home premium bit Toshiba Satellite a Intel Core i nbsp

A:Windows 7 rejects *correct* admin password

You may have to do a Factory reinstall of your system. If you can get in again . Try changing your password in the user account.Or just deleting it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-rejects-correct-admin-password.183708/
Relevancy 53.32%

I?m working on a PC running XP pro that had an Admin account on it. I wanted to add another user and was not able to. The PC was on a net work now it?s off the network and in a workgroup. When I was not able to add a user I switched the work group to a different workgroup. Added my new user, in doing that I got an error saying something about enable sharing files. I enabled or disabled can?t remember. At that point I was able to add my user. After I rebooted I no longer had the admin account and the desktop came up with a new screen saver. I did not delete anything. I need some advise to get the admin account back. Thanks!

A:Lost Admin Account

How about System Restore?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-admin-account.136184/
Relevancy 51.6%

My friend recently bought a new Windows 8 laptop which she set up in her name and therefore has a passworded Admin account. I also partitioned the HD so that the smaller portion (C) contains the OS and the larger portion (D) is for all her files.

Since I am only using the laptop temporarily my passworded 'standard' user account is located in (C) and cannot be viewed by anybody else, however, I can view my friend's files which are now being stored in 'D'.

Is there a way to protect the files in the 'D' partition in the same manner as if all accounts were on one drive and password protected?

Tom.

A:Windows 8 admin/standard user access issues

It's in the NTFS permissions - - ever look / change those?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-8-admin-standard-user-access-issues.189297/
Relevancy 52.89%

Toshiba (Satellite C50-B-14D) isn't starting properly, and keeps bringing up a blue troubleshooting page. There are options I'd like to try (refresh the PC, system restore etc.) however, every time I choose one of them, it says there's no admin account on the laptop. Each restart just brings it back to the same page. Stuck in a circle. The laptop didn't come with a disc (it doesn't have a disc drive) so that's not an option. I'd also like to keep the files on the laptop if that's possible.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A:Laptop not loading - 'no admin account'

To start with, either remove the hard drive and slave it to another computer to copy the data off of it
or, use a bootable drive to boot into another OS and then copy the data to an external drive (may require disabling SecureBoot and enabling legacy/CSM).

Once that's done, start with these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html
Again, you may have to disable SecureBoot and enable legacy/CSM in order to boot from the disks
For the hard drive diagnostics you'll have to either work on finding a bootable diagnostic for a USB drive - or test the drive when you slave it to a working computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/580880/laptop-not-loading-no-admin-account/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have went to HP and Window Update and have uploaded all the updates for this machine. I also have started the driver verifier and have since stalled  a couple times now. Here is another Admin file after the updates. Thanks again, Kris    
 Admin.zip   156.45KB
  0 downloads

A:Admin zip 0607

I have no clue at how this relates to what I've been helping with in a separate topic (or if it even relates to what I was doing).
Please post in the original topic so that we know what this is in reference to.
Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578766/admin-zip-0607/
Relevancy 32.25%

:knock: my friend gave me a cd with pictures and music made with roxio and I would like to put it onto a dvd so I can play it on my dvd player for the tv, how do I do this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-made-from-roxio-want-covert-onto-a-dvd.29821/
Relevancy 33.11%

OK, so here I am acctually typing this out from within Linux, while The XP box across the room is using the same internet connection! I think I quite like having a router! (at last! lol)

Anyway....

I'm using the default session of Fedora Core 4 at the moment, and have one question...

How do I go about changing the monitor refresh rate and resolution to something less headachey? I'm at 800x600 right now, and It's not letting me set it any higher.

I'm also finding that My router drops the connection to this pc when I log in as a normal user, and so I can only use the internet from root. That can't be good!

A:I've made it! yay!

Spike said:

How do I go about changing the monitor refresh rate and resolution to something less headachey? I'm at 800x600 right now, and It's not letting me set it any higher.Click to expand...

Welcome to hell

I've been using UNIX for a number of years. I still have to use xf86config to chance screen modes (its a command line app and requires you to have a lot of knowledge of your hardware). I'm sure theres probably a GUI app that does it, somewhere.. it'll be different in every damn DE though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ive-made-it-yay.27375/
Relevancy 35.26%

I'm trying to install Media Manager 2.3 to go with Sony Vegas 8, but when it reaches the actual install process it instantly pops up a message saying:

Please make sure you have local system administrator privileges on this system. Cancelling the installation.Click to expand...

And does so. I've tried starting Vista in safe mode and installing, and I know that I have admin privileges. Any ideas what might be stopping it from running?

Thanks,
Phil

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-media-manager-2-3-wrong-privileges.100852/
Relevancy 36.55%

I'm on Windows XP. Every time I try to make a change from msconfig, I get an error message "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes". However, I'm then asked to reboot my system, and generally the changes get done, barring NvCpl which I can't disable from start-up using msconfig.

Also, when I use services.msc to stop a service that I no longer require, I am not being given the option to stop the service.

I am the only user and the Administrator on my computer. Can't fathom what to do about this. If someone can help me out, it'd be great.

A:Administrative Privileges

Download RatsCheddar

It contains a program written by Rathat, and it is a Policy Controller.
Save and extract this program to the desktop.
Once extracted, Double click on the RatsCheddar.exe file.
Enable everything, then click Exit
Reboot your Computer.

This can also be a warning sign of Virus/Malware infection

Have a look at:

Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/administrative-privileges.115214/
Relevancy 43.43%

hi I ve grown desperate I ve posted in another forum but seemed there s no way out of it reading M s forum is even worse no answer from the quot smarter quot people here s the story Dec th I installed a couple updates from Windows Update about - of them each file is under MB only mistakes) mishaps displaying color (winupdate, after Screen white various because I thought it would speed up the download process I m not on broadband using cellphone as modem with only EDGE speed after those updates are installed the laptop asked me to reboot so I did and there s nothing on the screen everything s white I panicked and start searching google like crazy only to find that I forgot to try out F upon rebooting in the end I managed to remove those destructive updates while viewing the display on an external monitor after bootup my kids Screen only displaying white color after various mishaps (winupdate, mistakes) asked to play for a while and I thought it would be better for them to see the Screen only displaying white color after various mishaps (winupdate, mistakes) game on a bigger screen the Screen only displaying white color after various mishaps (winupdate, mistakes) external monitor a quot TV I accidentally press cancel while windows is trying to install the driver then it asked me to reboot again I thought it should be OK I clicked on cancel numerous times on other driver installation and nothing is affected well this time it s different upon rebooting the white screen came back F didn t do a thing so I turned the laptop on and off many times until I got a garbled display with black background and I used the recovery disc to wipe out the C drive and replace it with factory given stuff from the disc it completed and the laptop asked for the drivers disk which I put in after an auto reboot there is only this white screen nothing I do would give me back anything viewable just now I managed to get a garbled display again less than minutes ago I was given a choice of Safe mode Safe mode with networking safe mode with command prompt and start windows normally I chose safe mode and when it came on it said that it can t continue windows installation on safe mode so it kicked me back to the choice screen and I chose quot start windows normally quot it rebooted for times before giving me a screen that says quot start x e information i o error quot I have no idea what to do because all the google search are dealing with Windows XP and lower the use of of floppy drive and boot disk which are not present in VISTA and I just found out that there is a big scuff mark on my recovery disc which I have no idea how it get there by staying too long inside the drive so now I m making an image of it in another laptop a macbook pro please anyone enlighten me advise me is there anyway to see what s on my vista s screen without having to go inside windows first the last time the external display works were always after I get in windows not before thank you and hoping to get something here happy holidays people extra info - left the laptop on for almost hours now it rebooted back and forth sometimes it showed some garbled display sometimes completely white - when I managed to get to choice of startup all safe mode choices will just get the laptop rebooted again no matter which one I choose safe mode safe mode w networking safe mode w command prompt - now every so many reboot I will get the dreaded BSOD nvlddmkm sys error - after failing safe mode sometimes the laptop gives me a choice of what to start with the first is Windows setup something enabled can t read too garbled and when pressing TAB key will take me down to Windows Memory Check utility which will gives me a screen that says quot you have a hardware failure that required the newly installed hardware to be taken off the laptop immediately and try to go through windows to install the proper driver quot - I read in some other link I found there is a possibility of the video card is just dirty maybe ... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-only-displaying-white-color-after-various-mishaps-winupdate-mistakes.158353/
Relevancy 36.12%

thanks for reading

so i'm just trying to install something, 4OD to be precise, and i get this message:

Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Deliveries. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator

now i'm presuming here that it wants to create a folder named 'My Deliveries', but heres the problems:

1. I am the administrator on my computer
2. I don't have a folder named 'Documents' where it should be, although there is one named 'Shared Documents'

can anyone help?

thanks

A:Insufficient privileges to my documents?

The path for the installation is wrong. (if this is Vista)

You need to change the installation path to:
C:\Users\username\Documents\My Deliveries (where "username" is your account name you are currently logged on with)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/insufficient-privileges-to-my-documents.112254/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi,

Does anyone know about a virus that displays the phrase "You are made active" when receiving a email.

Thanx!!

A:You are made active

Looks like it could be a virus. Look at this. I wouldn't open it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/you-are-made-active.20212/
Relevancy 31.82%

I'm looking for an SQL server solution that runs on XP for testing purposes. I know MS makes a free one but I can't get it to install and I frankly have a bias against MS when it comes to mission critical programs. I've just been let down too many times by programs with too many entanglements into the OS. MS seems to feel that because they know the OS backwards and forwards that they should then entangle any app into the OS's deep settings.

Anyway, I'm looking for pretty much anything. It can cost money as I'm happy to play with a demo for awhile.

A:Looking for SQL server software not made by MS that runs on XP

Search on the opensource boards for the free SQL there is one other than MS version. MySQL from Sun Systems, Another one is called JSQL (opensource)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-sql-server-software-not-made-by-ms-that-runs-on-xp.112287/
Relevancy 32.25%

I turned on was made.. change unauthorized An my computer for the first time in a few days today and got a quot Windows Activation An unauthorized change was made to Windows -- Windows has discovered a change that will result in limited Windows functionality Use the link An unauthorized change was made.. below to find out how to fix Windows quot Clicking quot Close quot logs me out and An unauthorized change was made.. quot Learn more online quot led me to a quot Genuine Microsoft Software quot tab that has a quot Windows validation in process quot that seems to go on far longer than quot This may take a few minutes do not navigate away from this page quot A secondary pop-up states quot Windows Activation An unauthorized change was made to Windows -- You will no longer receive notifications including those about your license or activation Use the link below to find out how to fix your system quot and the suggested link is quot Learn more online quot which goes to the quot Genuine Microsoft Software quot tab My computer runs on Windows Vista don t know which version Any suggestions on a possible solution nbsp

A:An unauthorized change was made..

Is the date and time on the computer correct? Do you see "Windows is not genuine" in the lower right corner of the desktop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/an-unauthorized-change-was-made.178309/
Relevancy 52.89%

I've never seen anything like this in my 6 years of tech support.

A user on a Lenovo T400s, Win XP, experiences the BSOD when he attepts to log in with no admin rights. We're currently in the process of locking down our environment and yanking away rights from about 90% of the environment.

So when logging on with my account, and then another tech's account....no issues. Of course - both of us have full rights as tech support. I have two other users (non-tech) log on....BSOD for both of them.

Restore the original user's admin rights.....he's in. No prob. It has me stumped. I want to save re-imaging the laptop as a last resort as it was done a few months ago by a different tech (and I believe it was for the same issue). Obviously it was a temp fix.

Anyone ever seen a non-admin BSOD?

A:BSOD when logging in with no admin rights

I also forgot to mention that once I log on right after this user's unsuccessful attempt, I get a prompt that "there was an issue with winlogon.exe."

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-when-logging-in-with-no-admin-rights.151911/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have been trying to configure SMTPBeamer for use in my office. Has anyone been able to figure out how I can leave a copy of the e-mails on the server when a POP3 connection is made to the Intenet server to download e-mail.

Suggestions will help!

A:SMTPBeamer Admin

Check the Internet Mail Options (where you enter your POP3/receiving info. Check in the Edit option for your ISP)
Most email-programs let you change the settings for when you download email. One option is: delete after download, another is: leave on server.
Another way would be to use webmail to read your email on the server and leave as is.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/smtpbeamer-admin.10873/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a laptop that I received that I didn t want to completely wipe I just wanted to reset the local admin Normally these computers just have the HD s cloned They all use the same various domains for access With this one there are no local admin accounts I don t just mean the name quot administrator quot I mean there are NO local accounts with local administrator privileges I can t even access the computer in safe mode I attempted to use locksmith and Sala s Password Reset tool v but I still can t login locally with any of the local accounts I attempted to upgrade one of the default accounts to admin and then renew the password Also tried to create a new admin account No changes ever show up I ve heard there are ways to kill the local admin access but I never heard of a way that totally prevents the ability to add a new admin It seems that the only way to access the laptop is via domain login admin No accounts? even though there is a local computer login option Anyone ever seen anything like this Know of a way to restore local access nbsp

A:No admin accounts?

You'd probably be better off wiping it and starting from scratch. Too much of a hassle just to get it working and you'd probably still have issues later on.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-admin-accounts.109983/
Relevancy 52.89%

We currently have an email forwarding service to our Exchange Server. They handle the spam/virus et al protection before it hits our server. We're looking to consolidate all our connection services/web hosting etc.
My question: Is there anything we need to consider in terms of managing our email in-house via basic DNS forwarding vs a managed service? Is it a complicated process if we already have SBS 2003? Am I freaking out unnecessarily?

Thanks
Scott

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/exchange-server-admin-nervous.51143/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi if you had the same irritating problem as me then read on When I bought my PC with XP preinstalled the main admin account was quot user quot R.E. username Nice little admin Tip and I was new to XP months ago so took a few days to get used to it but after a few days I renamed the admin from quot user quot to Nice little Tip R.E. admin username quot mark quot but noticed that my documents folder was still named user try renaming that folder and it won t let you I honestly nearly got to Nice little Tip R.E. admin username the point of reinstalling xp bear in my I wouldn t know how I googled for solutions and all I got where mad suggestions which seemed far beyond my knowledge but glanced through an old mag today and my prob was solved if you do it create a restore point as always open regedit then quot Hkey local machine quot then quot software quot then quot microsoft quot then quot windows NT quot then click quot currentversion quot and click the keys quot registered organisation quot and quot registered owner quot to change job done no probs for me and I hate messing with settings good luck and hope i ve helped someone nbsp

A:Nice little Tip R.E. admin username

Create a new user in User Accounts in Control Panel called Mark (Administrator privlidged)
Log off, then log on to the new user - Mark

This will fix your documents folder to:C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\My Documents

The Windows registered owner can be changed by many tweak tools, or by the manual registry editing (Warning manually changeing/editing the original installed owner name can stop some programs from working or updating, including all Security updates (that have the original installation name attached)

I see "User" commonly on newly installed Windows computers. I've always preferred "WindowsXp" (no spaces) on an Xp install; and "Vista" on a Vista install.
User sounds horrible, not sure why many companies use this as the standard install logon name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nice-little-tip-r-e-admin-username.107235/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello all,

I've been looking for some time for a $subject but I can't find anything so far

This f... sucker of PalmDesktop REQUIRES to run as an admin in order to do anything, with all the security problems that this implies... So, do I have a solution other than changing the ACLs on all of the PalmDesktop directory, ie a correctly written piece of software that can do the same things as PalmDesktop, but as a user?

A:Palm PDA<->Outlook sync software that DOES NOT REQUIRE admin privileges

I have found that you only have to install it under Admin , mine all run fine After I revert the user back to normal.
eg. I add my wife " User Limitied " to the Admin group . Install the software logged on her account . Hotsync. then Remove her from Admin .
It's a small pain , but it works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/palm-pda-outlook-sync-software-that-does-not-require-admin-privileges.45675/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello all,

I've been looking for some time for a $subject but I can't find anything so far

This f... sucker of PalmDesktop REQUIRES to run as an admin in order to do anything, with all the security problems that this implies... So, do I have a solution other than changing the ACLs on all of the PalmDesktop directory, ie a correctly written piece of software that can do the same things as PalmDesktop, but as a user?

A:Palm PDA<->Outlook sync software that DOES NOT REQUIRE admin privileges

I have found that you only have to install it under Admin , mine all run fine After I revert the user back to normal.
eg. I add my wife " User Limitied " to the Admin group . Install the software logged on her account . Hotsync. then Remove her from Admin .
It's a small pain , but it works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/palm-pda-outlook-sync-software-that-does-not-require-admin-privileges.45675/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi I "User you not NOT what might privileges" access have - think does ve "User does not have access privileges" - NOT what you might think got a problem so annoying I re-imaged my computer in July All of a sudden the problem is back and I m about to scream I ve got Windows XL Dell PC about years old I ve got approx GB of memory is free on the c drive and another GB of memory I added last spring in partitions drives E F G The problem only seems to affect the c drive and only in my account my husband s account seems to be okay If I save something any type file from any program on my c drive I can open it no matter where it s located If I choose to save that file no matter what type in a new location I can still open it BUT if I drag and drop that file any type into a new location I can no longer open that file I get the following message quot Program name cannot open document user does not have access privileges path information quot Once it has been moved I also cannot delete it copy and paste it or move it from it s new location It makes organizing files and tidying my desktop impossible I m the administrator so I should have access to everything in theory If memory serves I finally had to log in as Administrator in Safe mode and permanently delete all of the files to get them out of my life I ended up making copies of everything I wanted to keep and saving it to one of the partitions so I could re-image without losing everything This problem seems to have reappeared in the last week or two The only possible thing I can imagine is that about two weeks ago I assigned a password to my account and I seem to remember my account being password protected at the time this nonsense happened last time I had never had a password before and I did not assign one when I re-imaged the computer so I thought perhaps that had something to do with it I pitched the password created a test document in Word and saved it on my desktop Then I drug and dropped the doc into another folder on the desktop I got the same stupid message again I went to microsoft using the link at the bottom of the error window but quot Currently there are no Office Assistance articles available for this error message quot Please tell me somebody knows how to solve this problem before I lose my flippin mind Many thanks to anyone who can assist me with this situation nbsp

A:"User does not have access privileges" - NOT what you might think

boot into safe mode, use an admin id

find the folder in question, TAKE OWNERSHIP (as admin)

then add read/write priv for your normal user id

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-does-not-have-access-privileges-not-what-you-might-think.93034/
Relevancy 52.46%

H guys My computer was infected with virus malware spyware everything One of the virus infection. rights Lost admin after many symtoms was that my account did not have admin rights anymore After Cleaning the pc the computer runs much better Lost admin rights after virus infection. i have follow the instruccions on spyware malware removal on a previous thread But i still don t have administrator rights on this accont I can t change my deskpot i can t get to system properties right click my computer properties i can t get to control panel i can t do any updates The computer is listed as an administrator account and i don t know how to go about with this i tried creating another admin account and then copying the old one to the new one but it does not allow me to copy the profile It would allow me to copy any other profile listed but not the one i want to change Again this started happening after my computer was infected Everytime i tried to do any of the tasks mentioned above i get a lack of priveileges Lost admin rights after virus infection. message telling me to contact the system administrator and this is anoying Can anyone help Please Your help will be Greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Lost admin rights after virus infection.

Try performing an XP repair:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-admin-rights-after-virus-infection.92257/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi Pro Password I XP for made Ask never This is my first posting here I need help I built my PC months ago and it has been working fine till today when I treid to boot up When I press power I get small log on Box I never saw before which ask me to put in my passwrod The strange thing XP Pro Ask for Password I never made is I never put a XP Pro Ask for Password I never made password on this PC Also a few days prior to this when it started up I started getting the Administrator ICon to click I never has this before either it wud normally just boot and go straight into the Desktop and when I check the Account I saw one is theAdministrator and the other called Micosoft Net Framework I had installed this prior with a program that needed it Now I only get the small log on box As I never had a passwrod I chuck click OK and then it appears to go into the Desktop scene when a another boc comes up and says Code DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION To help protect your Computer WIndows has close this program NAme Uderinit Log on Application Close Program What should I do When I click Close program I ghet this other message box Code USER Logon application has encountered a problem and needs yto close Please tell Microsoft about this problem dont send send when I check the error info on that box this shows up Code Error Signature Event type BEX P userinit exe P P p Unknown P P P a P C P The deskop screen then appear without any icons or the Takpart and start button When I hit windows key on the keyboard nothing In fact the only thing I can get is when I pressed ctrl alt del Task Manager comes up Whe I try to go into run or any other executable program from Taskbar I get the same message Code DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION To help protect your Computer WIndows has close this program NAme Uderinit Log on Application Close Program What should I do I tried restarting many times but the above just continues I botted with the Windows XP Pro installation CD and went into Recovery selected when I got the DOS C windows sysem prompt I typed copy useriniyt exe wsaupdate exe and EXIT The I restart and I get the same Log on Box then Data aExecution error CAN someome please help me I have a lot of information Backed up on this PC and need to get it My PC Specs are AMD Athlon Bit Gb RAM Nvidia mb Video Card Samsung DVD-R R drive Thanks in advance Alan WD Gb Hardrive Windows XP Pro SP The last thing I did yesterday was install a game I had downloaded from a Usenet group along with a No CD crack file Sorry for the long thread but I tried to be as detailed as possible nbsp

A:XP Pro Ask for Password I never made

Alantrini said:

The last thing I did yesterday was install a game I had downloaded from a Usenet group along with a No CD crack fileClick to expand...

And you wonder why your getting trouble ??

I sugest you put you hard drive in another computer and copy your data off,

then reformat or google for a fix.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-pro-ask-for-password-i-never-made.91740/
Relevancy 52.89%

I DO NOT HAVE ANY USER NAMES ON MY WELCOME SCREEN.
I was tring to set up a user for myself besides admin and that is where all my problems started.

A:admin icon missing on welcome screen(xp)

Welcome to Techspot I hope you enjoy it here.
It sounds like you did not check the 'Users must enter a user name and passwrd to use this computer ' on the user accounts page for each user including Admin.
If this doesn't work there are other things that can affect this but I would need more info.
Remember the Admin user and user #1 can't have the same name
Tell us how it works out

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-icon-missing-on-welcome-screen-xp.12012/
Relevancy 52.89%

is there a way to hack-tweak an XP system so that theres always a hidden Admin account running connected to the internet..even if all the other accounts have been logged off, so long as the PC is still powered on and at the logon screen...???

A:running a hidden Admin account on XP

not likely, unless you are the one doing the hack-tweak

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/running-a-hidden-admin-account-on-xp.75828/