Windows Support Forum

Windows Update service stuck in downloading

Q: Windows Update service stuck in downloading

Hey guys,

So basically, I ran windows update on my PC (I recently made a fresh install), it started downloading very slowly ; until it reached 25% where it's been at for 30 minutes. I tried stopping the download and selecting another update, to see if it was just one update that wouldn't download, but I had the same result :

Windows update was just stuck downloading.

EDIT: screen of the updates in question :
I tried to stop the firewall in ESET Smart Security; nothing. I tried the Fixit tools (.exe and .cab versions), nothing. (except that the .cab version is just stuck too).

Has that happened to any of you guys before?

I had problems yesterday with windows update (BSOD while installing updates), and it just wrecked my computer, and I had to restore to factory settings. But that can't be related?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows Update service stuck in downloading

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows Update service stuck in downloading

Update : I tried to reboot, and got stuck on "windows is preparing your computer blablabla". So I hard rebooted, logged in, and now the windows update service doesn't show up any longer, I can't run anything because the UAC prompt is gone (I can't do anything that requires admin privileges)...
Fml

I am currently restoring my computer using the windows restore option... And it's stuck on "restoring your files".

So if it doesn't work out, I'll have to factory reset my computer for the third time in two days.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/338125-windows-update-service-stuck-downloading.html
Relevancy 77.83%

i cant get anny further than 0 kb 0% when downloading the latest updates i did a clean instal but no sucess
still 90 essential updates to go ran it over a night and not even 1kb furter

A:Windows Update Stuck at downloading

Try disconnecting your PC from the internet>close Windows Update>reopen windows update and see if an install (not download) button is showing and click it. Then reboot and start downloading the next batch. Sometimes Windows needs to install what it has before it can download and install the rest. You might have to do this a couple of times. Windows also (like recently) has to update Windows Update before it can further download.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/65449-windows-update-stuck-downloading.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Trying to upgrade from windows to The reserve icon was not on the taskbar went to windows update 0% Windows at stuck downloading Update found out I had important updates which will not download when I try Also update and support programs from samsung will not open Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by Johnson administrator on JOHNSON-PC - - Running from C Users Johnson Downloads Loaded Profiles Windows Update stuck at 0% downloading Johnson amp Available Profiles Johnson amp Mcx -JOHNSON-PC Platform Windows Home Premium X Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Default browser Chrome Boot Mode Normal Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Processes Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the process will be closed The file will not be moved Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client MsMpEng exe Apple Inc C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe Apple Inc C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe Windows Update stuck at 0% downloading Realtek Semiconductor C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe Synaptics Incorporated C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe Alcatel-Lucent C Program Files BT Broadband Desktop Help btbb BTHelpNotifier exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe Intel Corporation C Windows System hkcmd exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxpers exe McAfee Inc C Program Files x McAfee Security Scan SSScheduler exe Hewlett-Packard C Program Files x HP HP Software Update hpwuschd exe PC Tools C Program Files x Common Files PC Tools sMonitor SSDMonitor exe Alcatel-Lucent C Program Files x Common Files Motive pcContextHookShim exe Apple Inc C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe Samsung Electronics Co Ltd C Program Files x Samsung Easy Display Manager dmhkcore exe Piriform Ltd C Program Files CCleaner CCleaner exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxext exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxsrvc exe Symantec Corporation C Program Files x Symantec Norton Online Backup NOBuAgent exe Alcatel-Lucent C Program Files x Common Files Motive pcCMService exe Alcatel-Lucent C Program Files Common Files Motive pcCMService exe PC Tools C Program Files x Common Files PC Tools sMonitor StartManSvc exe Microsoft Corp C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE Microsoft Corporation C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v SMSvcHost exe Microsoft Corp C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVCM EXE Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client NisSrv exe Apple Inc C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe Samsung Electronics Co Ltd C Program Files x Samsung EasySpeedUpManager EasySpeedUpManager exe Synaptics Incorporated C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPHelper exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exe SEC C Program Files x Samsung Samsung Recovery Solution WCScheduler exe SAMSUNG Electronics C Program Files x Samsung Samsung Support Center SSCKbdHk exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client MpCmdRun exe Registry Whitelisted If an entry is included in ... Read more

A:Windows Update stuck at 0% downloading

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===If present remove this program in bold using the Add/Remove Program applet.Iminent (x32 Version: 6.46.1.0 - Iminent) Hidden <==== ATTENTIONPress the windows key + r on your keyboard at the same time. This will open the RUN BOX.Type Notepad and and click the OK key.Please copy the entire contents of the code box below to the a new file.

start

CreateRestorePoint:
EmptyTemp:
CloseProcesses:

HKLM-x32\...\Run: [mobilegeni daemon] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Mobogenie\DaemonProcess.exe
Winlogon\Notify\GoToAssist: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\GoToAssist\570\G2AWinLogon_x64.dll [X]
HKLM\...D6A79037F57F\InprocServer32: [Default-fastprox] fastprox.dllATTENTION! ====> ZeroAccess?
HKU\S-1-5-18-{ED1FC765-E35E-4C3D-BF15-2C2B11260CE4}-0\...\RunOnce: [SpUninstallDeleteDir] => rmdir /s /q "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect"
HKU\S-1-5-18\...\RunOnce: [SpUninstallDeleteDir] => rmdir /s /q "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect"
ShortcutTarget: tcbhn.lnk -> C:\Users\Johnson\AppData\Roaming\BrowserCompanion\tcbhn.exe (No File)
CHR HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google: Policy restriction <======= ATTENTION
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer: Policy restriction <======= ATTENTION
HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer: Policy restriction <======= ATTENTION
HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001-{ED1FC765-E35E-4C3D-BF15-2C2B11260CE4}-0\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer: Policy restriction <======= ATTENTION
SearchScopes: HKLM -> DefaultScope {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD21} URL = hxxp://search.imesh.com//web?src=ieb&appid=233&systemid=1&sr=0&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKLM -> {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD21} URL = hxxp://search.imesh.com//web?src=ieb&appid=233&systemid=1&sr=0&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKLM -> {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD2406} URL = hxxp://dts.search-results.com/sr?src=ieb&appid=102&systemid=406&sr=0&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKLM-x32 -> DefaultScope value is missing
SearchScopes: HKLM-x32 -> {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD21} URL = hxxp://search.certified-toolbar.com?si=41179&bs=true&tid=397&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKLM-x32 -> {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD2406} URL = hxxp://dts.search-results.com/sr?src=ieb&appid=102&systemid=406&sr=0&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKLM-x32 -> {afdbddaa-5d3f-42ee-b79c-185a7020515b} URL = hxxp://search.imesh.com//web?src=ieb&appid=233&systemid=1&sr=0&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001 -> {1D32D3B1-F17B-4A58-A16E-08256D17CF6F} URL = hxxp://websearch.ask.com/redirect?client=ie&tb=ORJ&o=100000027&src=crm&q={searchTerms}&locale=en_UK&apn_ptnrs=U3&apn_dtid=OSJ000YYGB&apn_uid=6027BB5D-A4A3-4B1B-AA7F-401E09A54F2B&apn_sauid=84B0E9BF-ACF8-4DC7-B6CA-D9260CF19CDB&
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001 -> {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD2406} URL = hxxp://dts.search-results.com/sr?src=ieb&appid=102&systemid=406&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001-{ED1FC765-E35E-4C3D-BF15-2C2B11260CE4}-0 -> {1D32D3B1-F17B-4A58-A16E-08256D17CF6F} URL = hxxp://websearch.ask.com/redirect?client=ie&tb=ORJ&o=100000027&src=crm&q={searchTerms}&locale=en_UK&apn_ptnrs=U3&apn_dtid=OSJ000YYGB&apn_uid=6027BB5D-A4A3-4B1B-AA7F-401E09A54F2B&apn_sauid=84B0E9BF-ACF8-4DC7-B6CA-D9260CF19CDB&
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001-{E... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590109/windows-update-stuck-at-0-downloading/
Relevancy 77.83%

after an update version aka new windows 10 version, i check my window update , and its stuck.
on downloading 0 %. already check windows update servicing, sfc, trouble shooting, dism, nothing works for me..
a help pls?

A:Windows Update stuck at downloading

Hi,

what type of connection do you use to access the Internet - mobile broadband (cellular), WiFi or Ethernet?

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/58709-windows-update-stuck-downloading.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I have spent many days trying to get a handle about what is the behavior of Windows Update process when it hangs Downloading at I have looked through many of the threads on this problem to see if there is a pattern to the failures or a solution that works for many people Even though it is stated not to try what others have done in other posts I have done some of these I have also gone above this and tried analyze what the system is doing when in this state I have some results but no answers The issues I'm having may be unique to my setup but I hope my results are helpful to the larger Windows community Based on the results of my testing I am approaching the opinion that this problem of Windows Update hanging is percipitated by one or more of the following M doesn't care that update is fatally broken and won't fix it The engineers currently working on this at M are totally incompetent in about Downloading Another Windows at 0% stuck Update thread their ability to fix it M is deliberately sabataging Windows and Window in order to force everybody to update to Windows Background The system I'm running my Another thread about Windows Update stuck at Downloading 0% lastest tests on is a HP Elitebook P It is built with a Core Duo T with GB RAM Installed is Win Pro x Another system that is exhibiting the problem is a Dell Optiplex running a Core Duo E with GB RAM on Windows Pro x A third system I'm using is built on an Asus motherboard running a Core i CPU with GB Ram running Win Pro x I know these are ancient systems I'm working on upgrading the i system now For some reason the windows update is not hanging on the i system I don't know why at this point What I have done to solve this I ran the SURT and SFC Scan multiple times The SURT did find errors and fixed most of them if the specific errors are needed I'll have to rerun the tests After the SURT is run it takes about hours to complete the check for new updates After running the SURT what tends to happen is the first time I try to install updates a few the updates install in less than minutes When I restart and try to install more updates the Update window hangs at for about hours and then they install successfully I have manually reset the update client by using the process where you delete the files in the SoftwareDistribution folder Again when I run Windows Update it will take hours 'Checking for updates' Then the first time I run Windows update I can install a few updates in less than minutes The second time Windows Update will be stuck downloading at and will take about hours to complete the updates For the nuclear option I completely reinstalled my HP system from a base Windows CD which didn't have SP After the initial install the only software I installed was Firefox and Wireshark a The initial install went normally I was able to install all updates that were pending prior to SP without any lengthy delay b I installed the service Pack update This update installed with no apparent issues c After the install of SP I was prompted to install the latest Windows Update Clent This is where all went to h--- d After installing the new client the first time I installed some NET updates I was able to install them without delay The second time it took hours to check for updates Then another hours to install the x NET updates e I then attempted some Security updates and again it took over hours to install the updates During the next run of Security Updates I fired up Process Monitor Here is some of what I found there may be other relevant data I haven't found yet After filtering out all non-related processes I find something extremely interesting After an initial flurry of activity the svchost exe process and process tree gets into a loop where it is playing with itself and where the most of the activity visible is repeatedly reading one or two areas of the Registry The following events occur for the most of the hours Code quot Time of Day quot quot Process Name quot quot PID quot quot ... Read more

A:Another thread about Windows Update stuck at Downloading 0%

Hi John,
The simple answer is MS doesn't want users on W7 any more.
We just have to put up with this situation.
However they say, IF you you want to believe them, that they are in the process of addressing the slow D/L and install of updates for us.

we just have to live with it

note the comp you have with 2Gb ram will allways suffer, thats the min for W7.

Must admit having looked at an awfull lot of windows update logs cant remember seeing those entries

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/394502-another-thread-about-windows-update-stuck-downloading-0-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

please help with specify;thanks;Everytime I start windows update it won't download the updates. The bar keeps on running but nothing downloads and the percentage stays at 0%.
Whats wrong? Anything I can do to fix this?

A:Windows update will not download updates - stuck at 0% downloading

Hi shawn What version of Windows are you using?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618661/windows-update-will-not-download-updates-stuck-at-0-downloading/
Relevancy 76.11%

Yesterday when I started downloading windows update, only one update could be downloaded i. KB3114431. After that may be there was some sort of problem on the network and I could not download the other updates as my network was down at that time. so I disconnected from network and cancelled the downloads and shut down the computer. It normally installed the downloaded update. after that from today morning I am unable to download any updates. The network is fine, as I can browse the internet normally. But windows update screen keeps stuck at 0%. Though now the shut down button shows the alert icon for update installation as you can see in screenshot. Is there any way to fix it? Thank you.

A:Windows update stuck at downloading updates screen

The problem has been resolved automatically. Thank you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599869/windows-update-stuck-at-downloading-updates-screen/
Relevancy 71.81%

i just installed win 10 now I am runing win updates but the updates are stuck at 0% please help me fix this thank you

A:windows update stuck downloading windows 10

You need to post a LOT more info in order to help you.
Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact cpu, exact ram, etc, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.
i just installed win 10Click to expand...

What version?
Was this a clean install of 10 OR an upgrade from win8, 7, etc?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-stuck-downloading-windows-10.1171717/
Relevancy 67.94%

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200) has been stuck at downloading updates 52% for over a day. Does anyone else have this issue? How do you kill the update and try again?

A:Update KB3124200 Stuck Downloading at 52%

Originally Posted by Steve C

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200) has been stuck at downloading updates 52% for over a day. Does anyone else have this issue? How do you kill the update and try again?

Steve, if the updates are stuck, resetting should help:
Do the steps as indicated here:
Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10
Let us know how it goes.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/35491-update-kb3124200-stuck-downloading-52-a.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello Technet,
i recently tried to make use of this fine powershell module to manage some windows updates on the clients: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc

I downloaded and installed it, but the "core cmdlet" get-wuinstall immediatly stops after executing the command.
When I run "get-wuinstall -verbose", I see "Connecting to Windows Server Update Service server. Please wait..."

This won't go away.

When I run the same command with the -debug switch instead, I get this:

I thought to myself, maybe the Windows Update Service is not ready, so I ran the get-wuServiceManager command, but from what I can tell, this looks good:

Any Ideas why this module won't work? I've also been trying to put this question in a more appropriate forum section, but coudn't find one that specifically was for powershell questions.
thanks for reading and have a good time
regards
Martin

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4a2d0b42-dd19-4ed1-bc36-ee5557d4a83c/powershell-module-pswindowsupdate-stuck-at-quotconnecting-to-windows-server-update-servicequot?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a Dell XPS M1530 with VIsta home 32 bit.  I did a Windows update and now I cannot boot. I get stuck in the Windows Error Recovery screen and I am unable to run start up repair or start windows normally.  My optical drive was broken but I replaced it to see if i could just reinstall windows and be done with it but that doesnt work either. I also have a power supply that gives me an error every time I boot. I am not sure where to start. My problems seem to keep getting worse.
Thanks!

A:Vista home 32 bit service pack update stuck on startup repair

Hi artoodles,
I’d suggest you to run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.Turn on or restart the computer.Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the <F12> key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).At the One Time Boot menu, press the <Down> arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press <Enter> to begin the PSA.Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.
Also, I would suggest you to boot the system into ‘Advanced options’ (F8 during startup) screen and try booting up the system from ‘Last Known good configuration’.

If you have not altered the hard drive partitions on the system then you can restore the system to factory state by following the link below.
 http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/555/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=biz&docid=DSN_336966#Issue3

Note: Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files by contacting a local technician. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504945/vista-home-32-bit-service-pack-update-stuck-on-startup-repair/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello, Windows Update keeps telling me that there is a an update ready to be installed. It reports that it has successfully been installed. I choose to install updates and then shut down. All goes well. When I get back to my desktop, the same update is continuously reported as being available.

Just look:

What is going on?

A:Stuck: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)

Have you tried uninstalling the update fron the installed updates window(not the update history window) and then letting it install again? See what happens.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/stuck-security-update-for-microsoft-xml-core-services-4-0-service-pack-2-kb954430-386097.html
Relevancy 59.34%

This issue started this past Saturday Dec Per Windows Update Posting instructions Downloaded SURT When first tried to download SURT on Saturday it would not download But when tried again yesterday Sun Dec - it was successful However although it said the installation and 0% Windows at 7 Downloading stuck Updates-Checking of was successful and it showed up in Update History it did NOT show up in Installed Updates I tried it twice SFC Scan I read about doing this on other websites as well The first time I ran it it came back with the message that it fixed errors The nd time I ran it the results were no violations and when I ran Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0% it a rd time which the attached CBS log is from it also had no errors Windows Update Error Codes The biggest problem is the check Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0% updates Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0% or the downloading updates just don't go anywhere I did get an error message when I tried to download SURT as mentioned above but I was able to get it downloaded yesterday The other error code I got was when I did a System Restore Point It came back with the xc code and said it didn't restore the system But it must have because the Update information was different and reflected the date of the restore points Plus any changes I had done were gone and reflected the date of the restore points And the other error code was from the Diagnostic Tool from the help feature in Windows I think it was the error that it said it couldn't fix It did list some other issues that it said it fixed but I did not write it down or get a screenshot I could run that tool again if needed to verify Log Collection I was not able to attach the CBS log - I tried times and each time received a server error And then realized it's because of file size Even my zip file is just too big Please advise on how to get the information Start New Thread Hopefully I did that correctly I spent quite a bit of time trying various other things - such as the restore points clean disk and I also did a Checkdisk from the cmd prompt I did foray into a slight addition to the registry from a suggestion from another website but ended up deleting it because I didn't think it fixed anything at all and I don't like messing with the registry I did a system restore point after that I also did the SoftwareDistribution folder thing that is mentioned on many websites but that didn't help either I did try the start and stop services from cmd prompt as well with no change either Currently my workaround is copying the updates from the Update Catalog and installing them one by one manually Obviously that is quite time consuming and as I did get months behind will take awhile to get through them all Plus I am concerned about the order I am doing the oldest first and also worried about making a mistake and or missing some So far I've managed to get installed and have verified they are showing up in Installed Updates I also ran the Fixit and the other diagnostic tool recommended on the MS websites The Fixit tool didn't seem to do anything at all and the other tool returned the error code mentioned above I also called my AV company AVG Internet Security and had them do a disable AV with me over the phone and attempted to download updates There wasn't any change I also disabled the AV again yesterday and there was no difference I have done full computer scans for viruses with no issues reported I greatly appreciate any and all assistance to get this resolved and thank you in advance for your time Regards Hank

A:Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0%

I went online to try again tonight and it appears that the Updates are working. I don't know how or why but I'm now thinking it was more of an overloaded server than anything else.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/387673-windows-7-updates-checking-downloading-stuck-0-a.html
Relevancy 59.34%

This has never happened before but I can't download the latest batch of updates! I've tried downloading one at a time but it makes no difference, just stuck on downloading 0%. I've tried to go into services.msc to switch off windows updates but it says 'stopping' with the options to stop/re-start greyed out.

I've tried the windows trouble shooter which detects problems and then says resolving but again after 20 minutes or so it still says the same thing. Does it take a long time (perhaps I'm being impatient)?

I've run out of time tonight but will try the windows update system readiness tool tomorrow.

In the meantime, does anyone have ideas I could try? As I say, I've never had problems downloading updates before.

LevelBest

A:Latest windows updates stuck on downloading at 0%

You mean, it's searching for updates, takes a while, finds the updates, but when you select to install, it takes forever to download?

If that's the case, how long did you wait for it to start downloading before cancelling?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397423-latest-windows-updates-stuck-downloading-0-a.html
Relevancy 58.91%

the main thing is each and every install nbsp windows update just searches forever and nothing happens after diagnostic tool it says Datastore edb is corrupted and cant be repaired and each time it download the corrupted Datastore edb can they at leats give a proper service pack for windows nbsp bit ultimate that is then uptodate with working windows update that works after a direct standalone install of sp i use windows update pack windows windows it bit update installed and but in has after Windows out 7 new corrpedted Datastore.edb! ultimate retail and allways downloaded 1 it 64 service bugs ultimate bit and i reinstalled the system allready nbsp times each and every time the same problame that Datastore edb is corrupted and windows update just gets stuck i how you can either releasse a service pack so that windows update works again after a direct install of service pack or a windows update that doesnt use data store cause its yepp Not working i use a amd core with a amd hd readon and gb ram both asus motherboard and grafic as it is now windows update is with windows service pack not useable sincierly Christian Madjari

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/72b8be3b-5ea6-44bc-b1bd-200fa8fb7ec6/windows-update-in-windows-7-64-bit-ultimate-retail-bugs-out-after-service-pack-1-and-it-downloaded?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 58.91%

During a busy period, aware that Windows 10 can install itself by a sneaky update and being too busy to check each update that comes my way, I had disabled Windows Update. Only now did I remember to check for updates. I know, dumb.
There are 80 important updates that need to be installed. They all seem okay.

However, they've been downloading for over 90 minutes now, and the progress bar is still stuck at 0%. "Downloading 80 Updates (0 KB Total, 0% Complete)".

I thought these updates might solve my "slow PC issue" (referred to in my other thread), but the inability to download updates, makes me think there might be something seriously wrong with my computer.

Can it still be just a visual issue if nothing has happened after waiting for 90 minutes?
Thanks in advance,
Katarn1
This has been posted twice (?) I don't know how that has happened. Sorry. If you can tell me how to delete it, I will.

A:Downloading Windows Updates, Stuck at 0%; or a False Alarm (?)

You can Shut Down your computer and install updates.
Or you can download the Windows 7 Update Convenience rollup. Microsoft Update Catalog
As for your Slow computer, you did not paste a link to your other post, and your post history does not show anything about a slow computer.
Click on the link in my signature for PC Running Slow? and try those things.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/downloading-windows-updates-stuck-at-0-or-a-false-alarm-1123762.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I'm currently on holiday and am connected through an expensive 3G modem plan. Whenever I try to connect, Windows update starts to download files. Every now and then I need to update MSE virus defs but Windows update downloads files GRR! What do I do about this pest? I just disabled the windows update service which obviously prevented me from downloading MSE defs

A:How to stop Windows update from downloading updates when I update MSE

Have you tried setting Windows Update to not Download updates?
You could also set it to not check for updates while you are on holiday.
For MSE definitions, open MSE and update from there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/241793-how-stop-windows-update-downloading-updates-when-i-update-mse.html
Relevancy 56.76%

hello friend..

I cannot update windows 10 to anniversary update. Every time I check for update, this came out

"We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet."

I am connected to internet, Mozilla firefox is ok, utorrent is ok, everything is fine except windows update.
I have try disable the firewall, turn off windows defender, disable antivirus, none of it work.
I downloaded windows10 update assistant, did not work.
I don't know what is blocking windows update form connecting to internet.

Any suggestion? or perhaps solution.

Thank You.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/62813-unable-update-windows-update-cannot-connect-update-service.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have windows 8.1 and I started my windows uodate yesterday at 9 pm. It took almost 45 mins fir the uodates to download then I clicked in installing the updates. Since 9:45 pm last night the installation is stuck on 25 out 67 updates and the update that has been installing is the windows malicious software tool. Its almost 12 hrs now. I even tried stopping the installation and restarting the ststem. But before restarting the installation process has started again. Please help to reaolve the issue

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/443333-why-window-update-stuck-windows-malicious-software-tool-update.html
Relevancy 55.9%

So I'm having some problems with Windows Update this is my parent's computer and I do scan regularly with Avast and Malwarebytes- no threats I go to update Windows Updates and it just stays on the loading screen with progress however from time to stuck at Windows screen, Update update Java can't loading time I notice when I go to shut Windows Update stuck at loading screen, can't update Java down the computer I get one of those icons on my shut down button Windows Update stuck at loading screen, can't update Java that you sometimes get from updates so I don't know what's going on I get that icon and at shut down it says updates of are installing do not turn off your computer but then after reboot when I go back to Windows Updates it's now less so I had updates now I have but I still never saw the progress bar nothing there was no indication that updates were being installed it was always at I waited over hours- almost all day I'm just confused and now it's saying I have updates and again it's just stuck at the loading screen no progress can anyone help me out with this My dad said he also noticed the computer running a bit slow even boot up is slow Also Java I cannot get it to install I get the pop up window in my taskbar to install updates but when I click it nothing happens this I have problems with even on my personal laptop I can't ever seem to install Java updates because it won't open what is going on with this program Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you I just wanted to add that I'v also been experiencing some loading problems with webpages I keep getting an error page and some pages I can't load for a while it took me a very long time to be able to post here and took me a while to load google even sometimes they load ok but other times unable to load for some reason took a screenshot to show you maybe that has something to do with updates not being able to load and install

A:Windows Update stuck at loading screen, can't update Java

Computer freezes a lot and loads slowly as well.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-update-stuck-at-loading-screen-cant-update-java-1126201.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Windows update is stuck at 0%. I reset it to factory settings because I bought from some store that sold used computers. here are the things that I did. 1. I turn metered connections off as I read some problems came up with that still didn't work. 2. I did various things that did not do anything in command prompt like sfc/scannow but it said I had no problems. I tried troubleshooting windows update it shut off bits and other stuff but got stuck while restarting bits. now it is freezing when I try to activate anything in the control panel please help or should I just reset my computer.

A:Windows update stuck at 0% after trying to update it after i reset it to factory

I've found that the first set of Windows 8 updates takes forever to get past 0% Downloading. Just let it go for a couple hours.

Someone on Reddit described it as:

New installations of Windows 8 update certain system files in the background. The foreground "update" app can't get a lock on the update repository, so it just hangs until the background updating is done. It usually takes a couple of hours. Just wait it out.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532494/windows-update-stuck-at-0-after-trying-to-update-it-after-i-reset-it-to-factory/
Relevancy 55.04%

Today June 19 2012 I received this.Did anyone get this also?After Microsoft's service had been cracked by Flame, my trust in Microsoft has dropped to zero.So I would need confirmation if anyone else had thisupdate today (19 June 2012).The interesting thing is, mostly it gives a link forthe update to read more info about a certain update.But here today is no description whatsoever.edit: I should mention the odd thing about this is, I lookedinto my update settings and it was set to automatically installand update windows. So it should have downloaded this and installed.So why the difference?It makes me feel uneasy, to say the least.Advise pleaseThank You

A:Urgent - Windows 7 Update Service Update June 19 2012

I called Microsoft just now.
They established a remote session directly to my PC.
After verification that my OS is legit etc. they had a look at this.

They recommend that I reinstall Windows from one of their ISO images
and not from the HP recovery partition.

The guy said he wouldn't trust that update as there is the information link
missing.

I only can do what he says, downloading that 3 GB ISO and burn the DVD
and reinstall Windows.

So, if you get the SAME looking update, my advise is as his.
Don't install that update.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/457496/urgent-windows-7-update-service-update-june-19-2012/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a emachine W3080 with AMD Athlon XP Processor windows xp home edition preinstalled service pack 1. I was trying to update to windows service pack 2, halfway through the installation I got a message saying some file was missing, I dont remember wich one, service pack 2 couldnt install so only half my computer was updated, so I went to remove programs to remove service pack 2, then it restarted it started to boot 2 or 3 sec later it will shut off and restart again. the computer is stuck in a restart loop. even in safe mode. would a windows xp recovery disc fix it? I heard something about amd processors on HP computers having problems with service pack 2 is that something similar to what I have? and i also dont have a recovery disc, I bought this pc in a garage sale. PPLLLEASSSE HELP

A:computer stuck in a restart loop after trying to install windows service pac

When you first start booting your computer, press F8. There should be an option for "last known good configuration" try that let us know how you go.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-stuck-in-a-restart-loop-after-trying-to-install-windows-service-pac-258760.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I upgraded a laptops prefectly operating 160 gig HD to a new 1 Ter HD using
Ghost 11 ... have done this for other laptops before without incident.

This time all seems to be well, until I go to windows update to confirm the
windows installation is completely up to date and this is the problem.

(note: i am also not allowed to view the update history, no matter how long
i wait all i get is a blank white page)

When I click on "Check For Updates" a dialoge box comes up .....

Windows Update

Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because the
service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.

... of course i've tried that ..... and a few other fixes too ... looked for spyware
re registered DLL's ... all no go ... please
HELP !

also, if I put the drive that was the source for the clone, the 160 back in .. updates are no problem at all.

A:Windows Update service not running, can not update after HD upgrade

Welcome
Rather unique problem you have, but lets try this.
Go to the computer icon on the desktop Right click
Properties
Now look at the lower right. Do you see the Microsoft Emblem.
Maybe, you are not correctly validated and have to validate with the key number.

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/292907-windows-update-service-not-running-can-not-update-after-hd-upgrade.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi I can't install any of the update as it is checking forever i did a fresh install of windows Thanks Diagnostic Report ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data-- gt Validation Code Cached Online Validation Code N A hr xc f Windows Product Key Hash hTNIwJxpoGVBaL Jbg CBGbQw Windows Product ID Type Windows for update 7 update. Windows stuck checking at License Type Retail Windows OS version ID Windows 7 update stuck at checking for update. AC C -DB - CB- C -E D E Is Windows 7 update stuck at checking for update. Admin Yes TestCab x LegitcheckControl ActiveX N A hr x Signed By N A hr x Product Name Windows Ultimate Architecture x Build lab win sp gdr - TTS Error Validation Diagnostic Resolution Status N A Vista WgaER Data-- gt ThreatID s N A hr x Version N A hr x Windows XP Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x File Exists No Version N A hr x WgaTray exe Signed By N A hr x WgaLogon dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x Version N A hr x OGAExec exe Signed By N A hr x OGAAddin dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Data-- gt Office Status N A OGA Version N A x Signed By Windows 7 update stuck at checking for update. N A hr x Office Diagnostics D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - Browser Data-- gt Proxy settings N A User Agent Mozilla compatible MSIE Win Default Browser C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Download signed ActiveX controls Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control Disabled Active scripting Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting Allowed File Scan Data-- gt File Mismatch C Windows system wat watadminsvc exe Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat npwatweb dll Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat watux exe Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat watweb dll Hr x Other data-- gt Office Details lt GenuineResults gt lt MachineData gt lt UGUID gt AC C -DB - CB- C -E D E lt UGUID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt OS gt lt OS gt lt Architecture gt x lt Architecture gt lt PKey gt - - - - VQ R lt PKey gt lt PID gt - - - lt PID gt lt PIDType gt lt PIDType gt lt SID gt S- - - - - - lt SID gt lt SYSTEM gt lt Manufacturer gt Hewlett-Packard lt Manufacturer gt lt Model gt HP Pavilion dv Notebook PC lt Model gt lt SYSTEM gt lt BIOS gt lt Manufacturer gt Hewlett-Packard lt Manufacturer gt lt Version gt F C lt Version gt lt SMBIOSVersion major quot quot minor quot quot gt lt Date gt lt Date gt lt BIOS gt lt HWID gt E FF D FC lt HWID gt lt UserLCID gt lt UserLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt TimeZone gt GMT Standard Time GMT lt TimeZone gt lt iJoin gt lt iJoin gt lt SBID gt lt stat gt lt stat gt lt msppid gt lt msppid gt lt name gt lt name gt lt model gt lt model gt lt SBID gt lt OEM gt lt OEMID gt HPQOEM lt OEMID gt lt OEMTableID gt SLIC-MPC lt OEMTableID gt lt OEM gt lt GANotification gt lt MachineData gt lt Software gt lt Office gt lt Result gt lt Result gt lt Products gt lt Applications gt lt Office gt lt Software gt lt GenuineResults gt Spsys log Content x Licensing Data-- gt Software licensing service version Name Windows R Ultimate edition Description Windows Operating System - Windows R RETAIL channel Activation ID ac e a - cc - -a ff- ce fb b Application ID c -d - d - e-d ec f f Extended PID - - - - - - - Installation ID Processor Certificate URL SpcService Web Service Machine Certificate URL RacService Web Service Use License URL UseLicenseService Web Service Product Key Certificate URL PkcService Web Service Partial Product Key VQ R License Status Licensed Remaining Windows rearm count Trusted time AM Windows Activation Technologies-- gt HrOffline x HrOnline N A HealthStatus x Event Time Stamp N A ActiveX Not Registered - x Admin Service Not Registered - x HealthStatus Bitmask Output HWID Data-- gt HWID Hash ... Read more

A:Windows 7 update stuck at checking for update.

Lookin at that report,
There are at least 2 lines of data that i need.
Rerun the report please otherwise cant help you.
That comp did not come with that OS, please confirm if you have a dreamspark licence.

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/396588-windows-7-update-stuck-checking-update.html
Relevancy 54.18%

The update in question is .netframework 3.5 I have tried the windows update fix it program and that didnt work. I have tried renaming the sofware folder in windows folder to old. but that does nothing.

I dont know what else to do.

I do not getting any error codes.

Attachment 251123

A:Windows 7 update stuck at preparing update.

Please follow the Windows Update Posting Instructions and post the requested data

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/274800-windows-7-update-stuck-preparing-update.html
Relevancy 54.18%

i have been downloading and installing updates using the windows automatic update and HPSA but for the past two months now the windows update has stopped downloading updates and the HPSA has also stopped downloading update I have tried a lot of things which include System Restore Uninstalled and installed back the HPSA Run windows repair tool Run the netfix repair Windows Update not all downloading at tool Run Windows stand alone installerAnd other ones i could not remember their programe names nbsp The number of errors i get include nbsp Windows checking for updates for ever most recent checks for updates----- neverupdates were installed nbsp --------------never nbsp sometimes it comes up with nbsp an error message like windows failed to install update This is the annoying aspect of it I only reserved this windows I never installed it I have also tried unistalling the microsoft windows automatic installations i found with several codes like KB and other ones about codes Windows Update not downloading at all like that i found on support pages but yet to no avail Please right now I know that i can still get help if i reach out to you guys here I hope to start getting response from the experts in the house nbsp RegardsGracia

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-Update-not-downloading-at-all/td-p/5840162
Relevancy 54.18%

Here's the problem. Windows Update was telling me it was downloading an update but it just stayed at 0%. When shutting down I get the message Windows is configuring Updates etc. but nothing happens so I have to turn the power off. I tried restoring to an earlier point but it keeps happening, even with Automatic Updates turned off. Which leads me to believe there's some temporary files or something at work here.

Currently I have disabled the Update service & everything is fine. What I want to know is which files I can delete which will hopefully solve my problem?

Thanks in advance

A:Windows Update Not Downloading

1.Control Panel>>Troubleshooting>>System and Security>>Fix problems with Windows Update
2.Try reset WU components in aggressive mode How do I reset Windows Update components&#63;
3.Reset WU libraries Repair & Fix Windows Updates with Fix WU Utility | The Windows Club

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/59409-windows-update-not-downloading.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have windows update set to download automatically, every morning it tells me I have new updates to install. I have now installed successfully 823559 security update 42 times. I guess I should just turn off the automatic feature, but I dont' want to miss any critical updates. Does anyone know how to fix this. Thanks in advance. Why does it keep downloading the same update?

Relevancy 54.18%

Windows Update Update Windows downloading not downloaded and installed updates earlier today without problem However I've only been able to get Windows Update not downloading more updates in the last hours WU displays quot Downloading and Installing updates quot and then sits there indefinitely at Byte count monitor show byte count going up or down and Netstat shows no established TCP connection for WU I have WU set to alert me to updates but allow me to choose whether to download I have several updates to get and i'm downloaded them in piecemeal fashion until the WU problem is resolved I also notice that Checking for updates hangs forever Here's what I've done so far Cleared WU download cache Downloaded and installed the latest WU agent Verified that the BITS and WU services were automatic amp started Ran the WU troubleshooter under Systems amp Security in Control Panel result utility displayed quot Checking for updates online quot amp hung in some dead end loop forever Ran sfc scannow amp it came back clean Ran the WU Fix It diagnostic tool result couple of issues - service registration corrupted - Fixed error x - Not fixed I was wondering if this spasmodic behavior of sometimes working and then not at all for hours could have something to do with overloaded servers - like maybe thousands Windows downloads are going on Does anyone have any insight as a solution to this problem

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/381468-windows-update-not-downloading.html
Relevancy 54.18%

The Windows Update KB835732 has been going in a circle on my computer. I have it set to download automatically and when it notifies me to install, I do it. This has been going on since early April. Can anyone tell me why?
I am running XP Home but at work I use XP Pro and it is doing the same thing.

Barb

A:Windows Update Keeps Downloading same update

i belive gaobot or sasser have somethign to do with that i would start off by running adaware updates and then do a full system scan then i would reccomend using an online virus scanner Panda Antivirus has a really good one once they re removed you shouldent have a problom

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-keeps-downloading-same-update.228090/
Relevancy 54.18%

Every time i go to install any update, whether it be a security update, or a simple definition update for defender it ALWAYS says downloading windows 10... is there any way to get rid of that stupid message? I have removed the update that would constantly try downloading windows 10 on boot up.

Attachment shows exactly what i'm talking about.

A:Windows 8.1 Update says 'downloading win 10 every update'

You have to get rid of the related KB 3035583 in Windows updates in Program Updates in the Control Panel. Then hide that same KB when you reboot and go into Windows update.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/70096-windows-8-1-update-says-downloading-win-10-every-update.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Windows Update says it's Downloading Updates. It has said that more than 30 minutes ago. And it's still 0 KB total, 0% complete. What's going on?

A:Windows Update says downloading updates but 0% after 1hr.

If you have a slow internet connection and/or you have just done a clean install and there are many updates to download, you'll just have to be patient. For example, I just did a recent clean install of Windows 8.0 and there were 62 updates to download. I'd wait a bit more and see what happens if any of my previous assumption apply.

Good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/33997-windows-update-says-downloading-updates-but-0-after-1hr.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hiii Sevenforums Team,

Plz help in this out as me facing this prob from when...
even though i repair/reinstall windows7 thru installation disc...but still the prob is not been solved.

I try my best.. but still no positive results.so i give up and came here...By hoping that anyone here will sort out my prob ...my last hope

It will keep on checking...for hrs..but nothing happens

i even run this tool "WindowsUpdateDiagnostic" so many times... but it always says error repair but nothing happens..same errors it shows again on reboot.

says repair/Fixed...

just an eyewash,,,nothing getting fixed....

A:Help.. Windows update just keeps checking without downloading anything

Hello truemate, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if using OPTION THREE in the tutorial below to completely reset Windows Update may be able to help.

Windows Update - Reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/390294-help-windows-update-just-keeps-checking-without-downloading-anything.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one? Or does it just overwrite the existing files?

A:Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one?

I'll venture a guess that it overwrites it when the new update is downloaded. Build 14385 would overlay/update build 14383 then the update would be performed. I normally clean up the drive to get rid of that.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/55846-does-update-delete-windows-bt-before-downloading-new-one.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Shortly after the quot Get Windows Downloading Update Automatically W10 Windows quot icon appeared Windows Update Downloading W10 Automatically in the system tray Windows Update Downloading W10 Automatically of my Win installation I made the mistake of clicking on the quot Get Windows quot icon and quot reserved quot my copy of Windows After some research I elected to cancel my reservation for Windows and did so by again clicking the quot Get Windows quot icon and going through the process to quot cancel quot my reservation I subsequently read Brink's fine post on quot Get Windows Icon -Remove from Taskbar in Windows and quot and did option four to uninstall the KB update Now when I go to windows update and quot search for updates quot the search result is quot install windows quot though it does allow me to view quot all available updates quot which includes numerous quot important quot security updates as well as a few quot optional quot updates one of which is Windows I select the quot important quot updates deselect the optional updates including windows and click install then get a dialog that quot Windows setup files are being downloaded quot and an option to quot cancel quot which I do How do I stop Windows Update from downloading Windows setup files and just download the quot important updates quot to secure my present installation of Win Any helpful suggestions appreciated

A:Windows Update Downloading W10 Automatically

I've got the same issue. I reserved my Windows 10 upgrade and then I think I clicked something in the Get Windows 10 app to say yes let's install. I changed my mind after reading stuff online and now whenever I try to install updates, it tries to download Windows 10 before any other update. I haven't tried getting rid of KB3035583 just yet, but I have unselected all updates except definition updates (3mb update), and windows 10 still tries to download. I cancel it every time for now. I tried hiding the optional Windows 10 update but this doesn't do anything either: Windows 10 still tries to download. Only thing I can do is turn off updates and never update anymore. I really don't want to do this or have to do a factory restore to 8.1 or worse: upgrade to windows 10 and then downgrade back to 8.1 within the 30 day window. Does anyone have any ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/17022-windows-update-downloading-w10-automatically.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I noticed last night that Windows Update had 55 updates to download.  Upon further inspection, it said updates were last downloaded sometime in November.

I have run the Windows Update Troubleshooting; it resolved some items, but not others (forgot to take a screenshot).  Now Windows Update says I have never even checked for updates.

Following the advice on other threads, I selected only 2 of the updates, then let it run overnight.  I woke up this morning to ZERO percent complete.  Ugh.

I'm able to view pages on Internet Explorer and Chrome without issue, and MalwareBytes was able to update just fine.  What next?

A:Windows Update not downloading updates

Download the Windows Update Readiness Tool and run it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612719/windows-update-not-downloading-updates/
Relevancy 53.75%

I seem to have an issue that is the reverse of what most people experience I have seen this before in Windows Vista too Here in South Africa bandwidth is expensive so most of you guys overseas won't have noticed this probably I asked Windows to 'check for updates' and it reported a KB which is an update to Visual Studio installed on my PC I saw that the KB was MB so instead of letting Windows Update download it for me I decided to download it from the Microsoft Download Centre so I could keep it in case I reinstalled my PC and wanted to use it again without downloading it over and over again MB being huge The KB downloading fine and installed fine It appears in the 'Installed Updates' window After going online again I used the 'check for updates' again and the KB disappeared from the list of Windows after downloading install Update items I still needed to download So far so good But my connection kept on being very busy downloading heavily from the internet I Windows Update downloading after install installed NetLimiter to check what application was Windows Update downloading after install so busy downloading and an IP was returned to me it being Microsoft's Windows Update server's IP No other application was doing anything on the net just Windows Update STILL downloading KB I am sure what will happen is it will download all MB again and only then check and see it is installed and then ignore it but this is wasting valuable bandwidth Is there a way that I can check which updates are currently being downloading in some folder or log somewhere or even in the registry or is there a way I can stop or delete the entry that is telling Windows to still get this update I have seen this before in Vista and even XP Windows Update sees and logs that an update is needed then when you install it manually the Update application STILL finishes it's download even if it doesn't USE the download afterwards Any help will be greatful

A:Windows Update downloading after install

In Vista and in Windows 7 you can choose to Hide that update so Windows Update will not download it or install it... This information came from Microsoft Support..

You can hide the update, and then Windows Update won't offer it to you again unless you choose to restore it. Here's how to hide an update:Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
Do one of the following:Click the link that tells you important updates are available if you have important updates to hide.
Click the link that tells you optional updates are available if you have optional updates to hide.

Select any update that you want to hide, right-click it, and then click Hide update. Do this for each update you want to hide.
Click OK.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/27476-windows-update-downloading-after-install.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey so I installed updates and found a weird file name (hfhfg6465gf56) just an example on my storage drive and not in my c drive. I understand when your c drive is almost full updates will install on another available hdd with more space but these are my drives for storing movies and tv shows so it's a pain to see some stupid file name.

Is there any way to stop windows from storing on other drives? And can I delete that file because it will not let me now even after I took ownership of the file.
Bare with me

Relevancy 53.75%

This is a new HP laptop and I'm setting it up. When I go to Windows Update and click on Check for Updates it says updates are available and lists them. It also says Downloading but the progression bar never moves, even left overnight.
I've run the troubleshooter and it passes that. I ran the fix it to, no help.
I'm not too familiar with Windows 10 yet so I'm wondering if I might be missing something. Appreciate any help.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/54946-windows-update-endless-downloading.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello all,
My first post here. I did not see this problem while searching the forums so I hope it hasn't already been addressed. I'm running XP Home and Mozilla. I recently changed my Auto Update settings to notify me before downloading
updates, but now I find WU is downloading updates as I type this. I'm not sure if this if SP2 or not but it does seem to be a sizeable download. I'm on dial-up so it will be awhile before I know what the update is. Also, I'm using ZA 5.1 and do not allow IE access to the internet. Anyone know why update would start without notifying me first?

Relevancy 53.75%

Hi all I have Power Options on my Desktop PC set to defaults i e Balanced is set to minutes for display and minutes for Sleep Yesterday I went to Windows Store to download the Windows Update downloading the went 8.1 Sleep PC to Update Windows while to PC went to Sleep while downloading the Windows 8.1 Update update my Windows I clicked the download button and went to watch TV while it downloaded After a while I noticed that my PC had gone to sleep I pressed the sleep button on my keyboard to wake the PC up I wasn't sure if the Windows Update would just resume where it was before it went into Sleep mode or whether I would have to start the download again by going back into the Windows Store to download it again from the beginning After waking my PC up I decided to just leave it at the desktop screen to see what happened hours later the message came up saying that the PC needed to be restarted to install the update When I have downloaded the Windows Update in the past it usually takes hrs and mins but I noticed that Microsoft have changed the Windows Update slightly since I last installed it so I wasn't sure if that accounted for the download taking longer than usual Some of the Download options screens are different on the latest version so the Windows Update has definitely been altered slightly Will the download have continued from the point where it was before it went to sleep or will it have had to restart again from the beginning I was just slightly concerned that because my PC went to sleep during the Windows Update and it is such an important Update that it might have got corrupted in some way Everything seemed to Install correctly afterwards Is what happened normal and nothing to be concerned about Thanks in advance for any help feedback with this

A:PC went to Sleep while downloading the Windows 8.1 Update

If you go to THIS PAGE  and then click on "Check for operating system info in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT8.1"

....follow the prompts there ....in step #3 you will be shown the version and edition that your PC is running. You should see windows 8.1

If there had been any corruption at all.....you would   1. probably have problems starting your pc
                                                                                   2. The O/s shown would still be windows 8

I assume that your PC has rebooted/been turned off and on since your update....then all is well.

Is the pc connecting to windows updates properly?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573074/pc-went-to-sleep-while-downloading-the-windows-81-update/
Relevancy 53.75%

I go to Windows Update and search for updates and everything goes fine, then i click on Reivew and Install Updates, then click on Install. That brings me to the Accept policy thing so i click accept and then it says Preparing to download... and there's that download window, but it just sits there and nothing happens. One time i just let it sit there for 15 minutes and no errors or anything, so what should i do?

Relevancy 53.75%

i have vista home premium 64bit sp1, think it started when activating windows update, i didnt want to install an active control, chose another method thats when i got blue screen system shutdown and i see this irql not less or equal..

windows update wasnt able to find any updates, so i went back to activating windows installed the active control, now im able to check for updates.

only thing is when i try installing the updates, it just tries to install but nothing is installing, then blue screen shutdown, how can i get the updates to install? appreaciate any help..

A:windows update crash when downloading

irql not less or equal

This commands mean unindetefied conflict with drivers or hardware

We need more details to diagnose.Pack the whole C:\Windows\Minidump folder and attache to post

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/251793-windows-update-crash-when-downloading.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Some time ago my GPU AMD Radeon HD stopped working correctly Since i wasnt sure about it from the start i tried some things and one of it was formatting my drive and reinstalling windows After windows was installed it detected my GPU and downloaded its AMD drivers automatically but when it tried to install them i was having blue screens it turned out that my GPU was damaged and could work only with generic windows drivers So after that i removed the GPU from my computer and i switched to my Intel onboard graphics The problem that i am facing though is that windows update still finds AMD driver updates and tries to install them unsuccessfully I used the AMD driver uninstaller to remove any remnants of the drivers to see if that solves it and it seems that it uninstalled some things successfully and asked for a restart After the restart Windows Update found and started downloading AMD drivers again In a few words Windows behaves as if my GPU is still connected to my computer and will always download and try to install its drivers If i try to remove any it will download them from the start Is there anything i can do about it

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/64792-windows-update-keeps-downloading-drivers-non-existant-gpu.html
Relevancy 53.32%

windows upate keeps telling me that there is a new update available after i already installed it. should i keep do this? is this normal?this is the update.
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

Installation date: &#8206;9/&#8206;16/&#8206;2007 12:11 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=88350

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-automatic-update-keeps-downloading-the-samething.625891/
Relevancy 53.32%

My computor keeps doing the same thing. I keep getting notices RE: updates but when I try to download, it stays at 0%. Did you find a solution?

A:Re: Windows update Downloading Wont start

Hi @Darryl3?, Welcome to HP Forums! I came across your post of Windows Updates stuck at 0%, and wanted to help. I found this post from Microsoft may help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/w8-windows-update-stuck-at-0-tried... Let me know if it helps.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Re-Windows-update-Downloading-Wont-start/td-p/5728683
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a laptop with a radeon Mobile recently updated to windows form XP Originally windows Re-Downloading windows update Driver Problem from update found a driver for my card and Problem Re-Downloading Driver from windows update installed it with played video good and allowed for aero Following the advice of another I updated my driver with the one from my laptop manufacturer however it was a windows vista driver In order to install that driver I had to Uninstall the one form windows update preventing me form using rollback After installation I lost aero features and my video playback suffered I want to go back to the driver form windows update until a win driver is made That is Problem Re-Downloading Driver from windows update where the problem starts Windows won't Find the driver when I search using update driver Windows update shows that the driver is installed so it won't re-download Also it isn't in the Installed Updates so i can't seem to make windows uninstall it Only info i have to go on is i found this in the Problem Re-Downloading Driver from windows update log in the C Windows SoftwareDistribution folder Installation successful and restart required for the following update ATI Technologies Inc - Display - ATI MOBILITY RADEON Series B BCDC-E BD- D-AC - ABA D - - - i tried searching my computer and the registry for any of the info learned form this but found only a dead end Does anyone have a thought that might allow me to remove the download form my update history so i can re-install the driver without re-installing win

A:Problem Re-Downloading Driver from windows update

First go into the Control Panel>Programs & Features and click the "show all updates" option as well as looking for the ATI Catalyst item there. You can also go into the device manager look under display adapters and right click to uninstall drivers there too.

Once removed rather then going through the update you simply go direct to the AMD/ATI download site to select between the full with catalyst or drivers only for the 32bit or 64bit 7 there. Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/50632-problem-re-downloading-driver-windows-update.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello,

My windows update has not been downloading/installing anything for a few weeks now, and is always using about 25 percent of my CPU. I just did a SCF scan and here are the results. It did say something was corrupt.

Here is the Log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8j7lt40rcbebvm4/CBS.zip?dl=0
EDIT: I no longer have a problem. I was doing a bunch of things and then finally noticed that shutdown button had that little symbol that said it would install updates. I guess the reason why my WU download was always at 0kb was because the files were all there.

No more problems, however the scan still said something was corrupt, i would really appreciate it if someone looked through and see what i'm missing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/400337-windows-update-not-downloading-installing-updates-always-using-25-cpu.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Why does my Windows 10 PC keep downloading updates and then failing to install, every day for weeks now it downloads updates and then fails to install

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/445542-why-my-windows-10-pc-keep-downloading-update-then-fail-install.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I was running fast ring builds for windows 10 on another partition, I had been updating this since the original technical preview. I was having some performance problems a couple months ago, so I decided to finally update my old windows 8.1 install to 10, eventually doing a fresh install of it and have left insider previews turned off. With build 14316 being announced, I reactivated insider previews, but windows update is not pulling any builds on either the slow or fast ring. I did notice that both installs are showing on my account when I signed on a few weeks back. Is the second install keeping this install from getting insider builds, and how would I go about fixing it?

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/46644-windows-update-not-downloading-preview-builds.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello, it's me again.

I'm having a problem downloading a recent Windows update for Word 2003(KB917334).
It is installed, but everytime I try and download it, it fails. now it's stuck in a never ending loop of telling me my files are installed and are ready for download.
I'm wondering, I'm using a copy of Office 2003 I got on Ebay a couple of years ago. It's not registered to me, could this be the problem. If so, how come every other update is always sucsessful?

I emailed Microsoft (but left the bootleg part out) to see what the have to say.
Does anyone here have a guess?

Thanks again,
MC

A:Solved: Problem downloading Windows update;

ummmm you could just not update office? lol

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-problem-downloading-windows-update.475747/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi I'm not particularly techy so I hope I describe this right I have a Toshiba laptop running the bit edition of Windows Home Premium Service Pack is installed A couple of weeks ago I was routinely automatically downloading and installing from Windows Update Then at my last Windows Update after it had finished installing DNS simply would not resolve then downloading No Update latest and Windows DNS installing after it started to but very very slowly and then it stopped again No DNS after downloading and installing latest Windows Update I could use IP addresses just fine but DNS would simply not resolve or would do so very slowly Reading around I tried the following Removing the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter completely This seemed to work at first and then it just stopped again Changing the preferred DNS No DNS after downloading and installing latest Windows Update to and when that didn't No DNS after downloading and installing latest Windows Update work to that didn't work either I shut down all anti-virus firewall - still didn't work I ended up taking Windows back to a System Restore point pre- the latest Windows Update and everything was fine again Now I'm worried to run Windows Update at all If anyone has any ideas about what I should be doing I'd be very grateful Thanks in advance

A:No DNS after downloading and installing latest Windows Update

You can avoid having to do this if you can figure out which update is causing the problem and then you can right click and hide the update.

This particular update has been causing problems for awhile now but if you happen to reinstall that update then running this command might help.

Lets try flushing DNS cache and renewing your IP.

Flush the DNS cache and restore MS's Hosts file ...
Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop. Right click on the flush.bat file to run it as Administrator.

Your computer will reboot it self.

You might need to reboot twice for this to work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/221378-no-dns-after-downloading-installing-latest-windows-update.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi:

I need a little help. I just downloaded a windows device driver update. After rebooting I have no sound at all. I have tried to uninstall the update, reinstall the original driver, Tried to use system restore (I have Windows ME) no luck. Rebooted a few million times. I have no clue. You will have to bear with me I am a novice at this. I have the Advanced AC97 Audio for VIA(R) Audio Controller as the driver. Listed for this computer.

Any Ideas? I really apprieciate any help you can give me.

Thanks

Relevancy 53.32%

I need help, My Windows update Whenever i tried to update and download Some Stuff Thats important It just wont download it. The download starts But it will always stay at 0%. Please Help 

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Windows update Downloading Wont start

Hi: See if running the automated windows update fix it tool resolves the problem. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Windows-update-Downloading-Wont-start/td-p/5351951
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi guys

There seems to be a problem with my windows update. It downloads the necessary updates with no problem but as soon as it start to install it, it gives me a failed message. No error codes nothing, just failed. Did anyone experience this and know what the solution could be?

(See the attached image for the error.)

PS: It's not only the case with SP3 it happened even before SP3 was released.

Thanks

A:Windows update fails after downloading updates.

Try Re-registering the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type or copy and paste the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml2.dll
regsvr32 qmgr.dll
regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-fails-after-downloading-updates.720767/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm currently offers only windows the 10 to option downloading Windows update start on Windows x Pro For a while now I've had windows update set to only get the update list and then let me choose when and what Windows update only offers the option to start downloading windows 10 to install Today I opened the program to do a check of new updates and download install them but I'm presented only with the option to upgrade to windows The problem is that I don't want to install Windows The problem is that I've read many at best marginal reports as well a many scathing condemnations of user experiences with Win and have decided that I don't want to take the upgrade at this time That said it seems MS is intent on preventing me from even attempting to install Win updates because there doesn't appear to be a way to begin installing them The are available to select for download under the available updates page but selecting them and pressing 'Ok' simply takes me back to the main screen with only the option to begin my upgrade process and no option to download install the selected updates Is there any way around this or am I really only presented with the option of running an insecure machine or updating to Win Thanks PS I have to say for the record that being pressured to make the upgrade to the point that MS seems to be forcing it through without giving me the option to decide for myself doesn't really give me the warm fuzzies about upgrading at all

A:Windows update only offers the option to start downloading windows 10

Allow me to make several subjective comments. First, although, you have heard many negative comments about Windows 10, I have used the OS, since the release and am more than happy with its performance. I have experience with Windows 98, Vista and Seven and now 10 and 10 is the best by far. Since this is only one man's opinion allow me to discuss the updates.
If you have not already given it a try, hide, the problem update. When you see it just right click and then indicate hide. The effect will be as though it was never there.
If you facts, are as you state, I would agree that you have every right to be unhappy with the circumstances.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/383615-windows-update-only-offers-option-start-downloading-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 52.46%

i received an automatic update to windows yesterday, after i restarted the computer, explorer is unable to view any web pages, it is inot a connection problem, i took the computer back 24 hours this fixed the problem, today i used the net, then the auto updated came again resulting in the same problem.

A:unable to access internet after downloading windows update

What is the specific update you are referring to?

If you don't want it...simple disable auto updates and install critical updates by either visiting the Windows Update site and choosing...or use the update option which downloads but does not install.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443115/unable-to-access-internet-after-downloading-windows-update/
Relevancy 52.46%

Just did a clean install of Win 7 SP1 and started windows update- but it just hangs there- with the green light going across the screen- i know this happened when I had win7 before i upgraded to 10. Did MS change the way they do this? In the past- when I would restart the computer it would say-Don't turn of your computer- windows is installing updates- What's going on?

A:Windows update not downloading updates- clean install Win 7

Try again, please.

What version of IE is installed?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591282/windows-update-not-downloading-updates-clean-install-win-7/
Relevancy 52.46%

My windows update does not like to load! It takes a very long time and sometimes causes explorer to crash! When I checked, I had 92 updates to install. When I click download and install, it would freeze and stay there for a long time. I tried to use the Fix it application, however that gets stuck on "Checking Online for Updates" as well! What should I do? I also tried to update in safe mode, but it wouldn't let me. Thanks in advance.

A:Windows Update won't update, stuck at 0%

Hello NoisE and welcome to Seven Forums.

With that many updates to install, I would disable automatic updates and manually install just a few at a time. I personally don't do more than 5 at a time but you could try 10. Keep track of the KB numbers for each update in each group. After installing the first group, restart the computer and make sure everything is working. If it is, install the next group and restart. Continue doing this until all updates are installed.

If a particular group fails to install correctly, uninstall those particular updates by looking for their KB numbers. Then try to install just one at a time and reboot after each one. They'll either all install OK or you'll know which update is causing the problems. Leave it for last and install the next group.

Yes, this is a much slower process but it usually results in a much better update experience.

Windows Update Settings - Change

Windows Update - Uninstall an Update

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/260639-windows-update-wont-update-stuck-0-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I'm running Vista 64 bit and my computer was running slowly, so I tried to restart. When doing so, the screen came up that says "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 15 of 18". It has been stuck on this screen for a very long time. I am not able to move the cursor, access the start menu, open task manager, nothing. I did read some other posts about ways to problem solve, but I'm not able to get anything to open so those options don't work for me. I did remove the battery and turn the computer off completely, but when turned back on and battery put back in, the same screen comes up. Any ideas?

Thanks

A:Windows stuck on update

Welcome
See if you can boot into safe mode. If not
Using another computer try to make this CD
Then see if you problem computer will boot from it to solve the problem
If you create a recovery DVD, you may be able to boot to recovery options
Create Recovery DVD

The Vista recovery disk is used to boot Vista when it won't boot - to run Startup Repair, System Restore, access a Command Line, Recover using a Vista Backup Image, etc.
System Recovery Options. Choose an option tht will not cause you to lose your stuff.

If Vista will not start now, boot the Recovery CD to run Startup Repair which automates System Restore as well as numerous other tests including System File Checker which can repair system files which are not corrupted beyond repair.

If Vista still will not start, try booting into Safe Mode to run sfc /scannow to repair System files.
Special Thanks Given to Seven Forums.

Below is a bulletin distributed by MS to explain the start up procedure when Windows will not boot.
Startup Repair. Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer has preinstalled recovery options, it might also be stored on your computer's hard disk. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions and What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista? If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.Change restart settings in safe mode. If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox. For more information, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).Reinstall. If no other options have solved the problem, and you are sure that your computer's hardware is functioning normally, you might need to reinstall Windows. A custom (clean) installation of Windows will permanently delete all of the files on your computer and reinstall Windows, so only use this option if all other recovery options have been unsuccessful. After the installation, you will need to reinstall your programs and restore your files from backup copies. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows**.

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/290990-windows-stuck-update.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I've been working on a client's computer for a while and none of these problems apparently started before Microsoft Office multiple versions were installed Among other now-resolved issues is the problem with Windows Update I've uninstalled and removed all traces of Microsoft office but none of it has helped Windows update will continue on forever yes I left it on overnight and it's STILL searching I've been working on this for a couple of days and am honestly out of ideas even after scouring the web I have several log files linked below including the stuck update Windows CBS log which the error seems to point to Most specifically Handler FATAL UH x EvaluateApplicability failed in CCbs EvaluateApplicability Things I've tried System Restore not many points available but tried nonetheless sfc scannow resolves some issues but reports that it's unable to repair Windows update stuck all detected issues Windows Startup Repair with a new windows disc Safe Mode with the steps Windows update stuck above Of course virus and malware scan and a host of other stuff that I can't remember right now I need my coffee If you have ANY suggestions let me know For reference it's an old Lenovo Thinkpad x Tablet with Windows bit installed I'd REALLY rather avoid formatting so please don't suggest it EVERYTHING else is working great except the windows update I see no other problems with the machine at this point Log files Windows Update Log https www dropbox com s tey a o do pdate log dl scroll to the bottom for yesterday evening's date and time Some of the issues above that point have been resolved CBS Logs https www dropbox com s egx nvnvy ia CBS rar dl Whole folder for your reference CBS Scan Log https www dropbox com s fkghmckka scan txt dl Not very current in regards to the others but attached nonetheless

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/391385-windows-update-stuck.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey everyone!! So far no real issue's to report running Windows 10 I really love it but here is my issue. Windows update has been stuck at 45% for the last 3 hour's and usually my updates go pretty quick. I've tried rebooting my system to see if the updates will finish installing but then it goes right back to 45% and stay's there. Any idea's as to what may of happened?

A:Windows update stuck at 45%

I'm still having the same problem. Anyone have any idea's?

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/22579-windows-update-stuck-45-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Last night, my computer automatically ran Windows Update when I turned it off.
Now, this morning, it doesn't get past the 'Welcome' message when booting up.

First, I tried to boot in safe mode and run system restore, but the oldest restore point did not fix the problem. It even made it worse, because now I cannot even boot into safe mode any more. It just stays stuck on a black screen with only the mouse cursor visible.

Then I tried to pres F8 and run system repair, but this also did nothing to help me.
Finally, I tried booting up from my windows disc and repairing, but also nothing. Also, I cannot do an upgrade from the disc. Only thing that is possible is a clean install, which I really don't want cause I'll lose all my preferences and installed programs.

What else can I do?

A:Windows 7 stuck on Welcome after update

Well; unfortunately; since you have already tried all the obvious ways of possibly returning the system to normal but nothing works; you may have no choice but to do a clean install of windows. I hope you have at the very least remembered to back up anything important you know you want/need to keep. It sounds to me like something either got corrupted in the windows update process or something else along those lines happened causing this to happen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/355763-windows-7-stuck-welcome-after-update.html
Relevancy 52.03%

New HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 7. Shut it down for the first time this morning and Windows has been trying to install updates for about 2 hours now. It is stuck on 3#. Should it take this long? Also installed Office 2007 so that has to update too.

A:Windows 7 Update stuck on #3 of 34

Leave it go for another couple of hours.
Then, if it still hasn't finished, press and hold the power button until it turns off.

Disconnect from the internet and turn it back on.
Does it work OK?
Make a System Restore Point
Then connect to the internet and attempt to run Windows Update
What happens?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-update-stuck-on-3-of-34-a-447831.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I just had windows 7 home premium 64 reinstalled, after having new hard drive installed by technician.
I have managed to download IE11 again and all of the updates for it have succeeded. I am now trying
to download the rest of the updates 224 of them, but am unable to do so. I have started at the oldest,
which looks like the net.framework 3.5.1 updates, and I have let it go for about an hour, and nothing happens. I have already named the Software Distribution folder as Software Distribution old. and started
again, but the same thing occurs. Hope someone can help me. Windows Update must be okay to be able
to do all of the IE11 updates, and it did not sit at 0% just took of.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/389561-windows-update-stuck-0-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

windows update was also constantly searching for updates, and my pc hadn't been updated for about 7months, nothing seemed to work to get it going, i had windows set to download updates but let me choose wether to install them , so just out of curiosity i went to change settings and set windows update to installupdates automatically (recomended) , did a restart for the changes to take effect, and amazingly about 156 updates started to work, all downloaded and installed, and now fully up to date, will now see if i can get this windows 10 without it sticking on 99% . this worked for me, but if you have windows update set to update automatically already, perhaps if you changed this to download updates but let me choose wether to install them ,and do a restart, then change it back to installupdates automatically (recomended) and restart, maybe it will kick it into life.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397123-windows-update-stuck.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey all,

Last night I decided to update from IE7 to IE8. Everything seemed to be going fine, it finished installing, and then I rebooted my laptop.

I opened up IE and on the only tab it opened, it just said "Connecting" forever.

Also, down in my system tray, the yellow shield for Windows Update appeared. However, if you run your mouse over it, all it says is "Downloading: 0%" forever.

It's not my internet connection. I have rebooted several times, and have received the same result every time.

Also, not sure if this is related, but every time I reboot, I receive an error message. I meant to write it down, but forgot. It says something about having trouble loading the .dll file.

Please help. Thank you!

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi,

Anyone help with this one - how to download latest updates?

Yes W10 installed October, last successful update early November.

Now when try to install update shows downloading updates at 2% and no movement..been like this for a couple days now.

On the Details it shows:-

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586
Waiting for installation
Security Update.......
Waiting for download
Windows malicious software removal tool.....
Waiting for download
Cumulative update for windows....
Waiting for download

Thanks,
Pete

A:Windows 10 Update stuck on 2% ?

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, two days installing at 2% is a problem. Normally you would not interrupt, but it's safe to insist now is an exception.

I would try using the front panel reset button on your PC first. If unresponsive, try a hard boot by pressing your front-panel power button for about ten seconds. If neither of those work, shut off the power supply.

Hopefully it will reboot normally.

Before running Windows Update again, check for errors by opening an elevated command prompt and running sfc \scannow. If errors are detected, Windows will attempt to correct them. Should it be unable to fix problems, you will need to use DISM to try and fix it.

If you haven't backed up, now would be a great time to do so! Also, if you're not allowing Windows to manage and update your drivers, you might want to allow it to do so before attempting the update again.

If the scan returns cleanly, then you can go ahead and try the update again.

If it hangs again, you might try an in-place installation (reset). First download an iso of the most recent installation file. When performing the reinstall, keep your programs, settings and files. Allow Windows to retrieve updates during the installation process. It should automatically install the latest version 1511 build 10586.29.

I hope it goes better this time!

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/33160-windows-10-update-stuck-2-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Again today my fan starts blowing like a hairdyer, and I knew what it was. Updates.

Strange because I decided to turn off auto-update altogether so as to avoid this, but it still happened.

Several hours later 16 important updates, and the only one ticked was Windows 10 even though I have been trying to get it to stop harassing me all the time.

IF I decide to upgrade it'll be at the last minute, when I decide to.

Anyway, I've spent a day trying to get these updates to updates but they keep hanging and failing and I have work I need to do!

A:Stuck on Windows Update again

Hi
You might review this
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095675

Sounds like 10 is scheduled already
If it shows as a update right click and hide the win-10 update.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/397371-stuck-windows-update-again.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I noticed the little windows update avatar on the bottm right on my Windows so decided Update 7 Stuck Windows to check out what the updates are and selected the important update and optional Then it appeared that the update initiated but only stated complete and data downloading I waited for about minutes still nothing and then shut the program down and rebooted After I rebooted it took almost times as long to boot up to my desktop It starts up as normal with the cmos info etc then the standard blue windows default opening screen with the little circle like Windows 7 Update Stuck the old hour-glass showing that something is happening then the Windows 7 Update Stuck screen goes black for a few Windows 7 Update Stuck minutes then finally boots up to the desktop Next I tried to manually go to the control panel and scroll down to windows updates when I click on it all it does is get stuck and I am unable to close the windows update window either manually or through task manager I eventually have to restart in order to get rid of the windows and control panel windows So if anyone has any suggestions how to resolve this one I would be truly grateful Thank you very much in advance for your help

A:Windows 7 Update Stuck

but only stated 0% complete and 0 data downloading. I waited for about 15 minutesThis always depends on the number of programs/browsers using the shared bandwith at the same time. It's somehow normal usually running windows updates in the background. I just let windows transfer the update while using the computer. However, there is a chance that your computer might be infected.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/453552/windows-7-update-stuck/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi
I just did a system reset (and formatted the disk that had windows on it), after starting everything was okay until i ran windows update - it showed that there are a few updates, it downloads all of them except the last one - "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series." - it has been stuck at "Downloading updates 99%" for at least 2 hours now, and restarting the computer doesn't help. It's worthy to note that my AMD driver is already installed and up to date!

I am now running an sfc scan and i will update this post as soon as it is done.
Until then - do you have any other suggestions?
update: it found corrupt files and fixed them but still gets stuck at 99%.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/58912-windows-update-stuck-99-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Please do not power off or unplug your machine
Installing update 4 of 140 ..

It's been stuck at update 4 for 4 hours now why is it like that is something wrong with it

Hp touch smart 600-1350
Windows 7 home premium

A:Windows stuck on update

There can be a number of reasons - if it's still stuck, reboot, and follow the WindowsUpdate Posting Instructions and post the requested data

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/310452-windows-stuck-update.html
Relevancy 52.03%

The computer is trying to install the windows 10 update. It's getting stuck at 71% complete.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438874-windows-10-update-getting-stuck.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Newly installed Windows 7 on an HP laptop. 24 hours later, after logging out, it said updates needed. No problem there, except there were 234 updates needed.! I didn't turn it off, just left it overnight to do its thing. This morning, it's installing update 100... and has been for the past 4 hours. I powered down, waited 20 seconds, powered back up, to the same page. "Installing update 100 of 234"... I don't know what to do now.?

A:Windows 7 stuck at update 100 of 234.!

Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately, I cannot download or install anything, as I can't access my laptop, due to it being stuck on the 100th update. And I can't dowload from this tablet.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/400771-windows-7-stuck-update-100-234-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

got new surface pro 3 yesterday. got it loaded up today. ran check for updates and it found 43 I needed to download and install.did that, restarted and they all supposedly installed.
I go back to check for updates to make sure I got them all, but when I click on check for updates, it spins like it checking,but never stops spinning. I let it spin for an hour until I finally gave up. I restarted several times with same results.

Ideas?

A:windows update stuck

Try using the Windows Update applet from the "old" control panel versus WU from the modern control panel - a lot of times there are messages or issues pending that the modern applet doesn't show (and just sits spinning) that you would otherwise see when running WU from the "old" Windows Update applet in the old control panel directly.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/58754-windows-update-stuck.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I just bought a desktop computer. Per usual, as soon as I booted it up, Windows began downloading and installing about 30-some windows updates. When installing, it got to 13 of 30 (.NET update of some kind) and stopped. Over an hour goes by and no progress. I finally tried to "Stop Installation" - thinking that I could reboot and continue installation...but now it just says "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 13 of 30." And, as before, nothing appears to be happening.

Advice? Turn off computer and reboot anyway? Wait another few hours?

Being as this is literally the result of the first time I turned the computer on, I'm seriously considering retuning it...but that's probably just my current extreme frustration talking. Obviously, when you pay a lot for something you would expect that it wouldn't fizzle out on the very first use.

Thanks in advance!

T

A:Windows Update Stuck

Try to click view updates or something right below install updates.

There try to install one update at a time. If you find the one that doesn't install, skip it and check the rest.

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/239830-windows-update-stuck.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Been waiting for 2 hours for download 144Mb updates and not yet finish. My internet just run normally but the update stuck at 71%
Here some screenshots.

Thanks in advance

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/61579-windows-update-stuck.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have windows xp sp2 and i have turned on windows update and can see 46 updates in add/remove program but now the update is stuck at 65% and just starts for a few seconds and then disappears after system startup... how can i get it going ... to recieve the latest update...

Relevancy 52.03%

Newly installed Windows 7 on an HP laptop. 24 hours later, after logging out, it said updates needed. No problem there, except there were 234 updates needed.! I didn't turn it off, just left it overnight to do its thing. This morning, it's installing update 100... and has been for the past 4 hours. I powered down, waited 20 seconds, powered back up, to the same page. "Installing update 100 of 234"... I don't know what to do now.?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/400771-windows-7-stuck-update-100-234-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

My husband's netbook is having issues with Windows Update. It started out okay, but got stuck at 30%. We tried rebooting, but it didn't help. Currently, he can get to the login screen but then the computer just says 'please wait' and sits on a black screen. I've tried using system restore, but for some reason it was turned off and it has no former state to go back to. I've tried chkdsk but that didn't help. I've tried startup repair but it said it didn't find anything wrong. And I've heard that there may be a way to manually install the update that was causing the problems, but Windows Update won't start in safe mode. So I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks.

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi had to take my Dell Windows 7  laptop back to factory setting and now am trying to instal the windows update so far it's been searching for 5hours and still searching is this normal
The laptop is 5 years old

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632365/windows-update-stuck/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi i recently did a factory reset on my PC . Everything is going well except that windows update takes forever , i took a 30 minute shower and it was still going ,i tried to use a wireless connection to see if that works but it didn't .i tried to see if going to safe mode helped but it didn't . do i need to do something else or should i wait more?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/385270-windows-update-stuck.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Just as the title says. It is stuck on 0%. I waited for 30 minutes but no changes.
Except for totally random BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED).

One thing which I noticed was that it still wanted me to install updates while shutting down my computer.

A:Windows update stuck on 0%

The random BSOD may well be caused by a RAM stick that is physically damaged.

Have a look for any obvious signs then run a memory test.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+

If any updates want to install on shutdown, just let them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/230372-windows-update-stuck-0-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey Guys,

I have a brand new laptop with Windows 8.  I tried to run windows update and it sees that I have updates to install but the installation gets stuck at 0% and 0Kb.  If I try to install only one update, it gets stuck at 99%.  I know this is a common issue but no one seems to have a definite way of fixing this.  Can anyone help???

Thanks,
Centuck

A:Windows 8 Update stuck

What error code are you receiving when this happens?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514988/windows-8-update-stuck/
Relevancy 52.03%

Greetings for new year to everyone.

Security update for flash Player is stuck on 23 percent from few days though I am using a good Internet connection.Have tried the troubleshooter says Windows update components must be repaired but when I try to repair them I get Folders are currently in use.
New here and not sure if this is placed in correct place.

A:Windows update stuck

Originally Posted by Shubham1239

Greetings for new year to everyone.

Security update for flash Player is stuck on 23 percent from few days though I am using a good Internet connection.Have tried the troubleshooter says Windows update components must be repaired but when I try to repair them I get Folders are currently in use.
New here and not sure if this is placed in correct place.

Looks like you aren't stopping the service.
Use this tutorial that should auto set the things for you.

How to Reset Windows Update in Windows 10
New year greetings to you too

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/35930-windows-update-stuck.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey all,

Last night I decided to update from IE7 to IE8. Everything seemed to be going fine, it finished installing, and then I rebooted my laptop.

I opened up IE and on the only tab it opened, it just said "Connecting" forever.

Also, down in my system tray, the yellow shield for Windows Update appeared. However, if you run your mouse over it, all it says is "Downloading: 0%" forever.

It's not my internet connection. I have rebooted several times, and have received the same result every time.

Also, not sure if this is related, but every time I reboot, I receive an error message. I meant to write it down, but forgot. It says something about having trouble loading the .dll file.

Please help. Thank you!

A:IE8, Windows Update stuck at 0%

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that I am using my office computer to post this. If the solution requires downloading something off the internet, I doubt I'd be able to do that considering the problems I am having. Thanks again!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ie8-windows-update-stuck-at-0.806893/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi! I recently got a fresh install of windows 7 ultimate 64. Everything worked fine until I updated using windows update, when I start windows I get stuck at the wallpaper and if I try to use "CTR alt del" everything goes black (can't se the cursor either).
This is what iv tried:
* restart w/o update (everything works fine then)
* not even do the update (same thing happened when I try to install graphic drivers) I think it said something about .Net framework failing.

IM kind of new at troubleshooting this kind of problems so if iv missed any important details please let me know.

I hope you guys can help me.

/Sigurtt

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/383913-windows-stuck-after-update.html
Relevancy 52.03%

How to Windows to How stuck fix update a fix a stuck Windows update TechRadar How to fix a stuck Windows update Operating system updates are a necessary evil like taxes and car MOTs they can be a real chore but they re essential for a happy and peaceful life You might not care for Windows updates but they keep you protected squash nasty bugs and generally How to fix a stuck Windows update keep the OS How to fix a stuck Windows update running as smoothly as possible Read on to learn how to fix How to fix a stuck Windows update common problems with Windows updates Including the following methods Launch Windows in Safe Mode Safe Mode is like a restart with extras only the very basic apps and code that Windows needs to run are loaded into memory so there s even less chance of a rogue damaged file interfering with the update Delete the Windows Update file cache yourself If Windows own troubleshooter doesn t work see step then you can try and carry out the same process yourself manually stopping the Windows Update service deleting the temporary files it s created then starting Windows Update again It s a little more involved but it s not difficult to do Read the full article at the link at the top of the page nbsp

A:How to fix a stuck Windows update

Thanks for the post

(and for all your threads about how to resolve problems linked to Windows anniversary update )

https://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-fix-a-stuck-windows-update.62214/
Relevancy 52.03%

Shut down my computer as usual and windows update started, but this time, it gets stuck at 4/40 o.o it's been well over 3 hours now and I have stuff to do, what should I do? The first response I got elsewhere was that the update will just restart if I unplugged, but then I did more research and it seems that I might likely get a corrupted windows... What should I do now? BTW it's in the install step(not download) and the circle thingy is still turning.

Thanks

A:What do I do if Windows Update gets stuck?

Quote: Originally Posted by BenSow

Shut down my computer as usual and windows update started, but this time, it gets stuck at 4/40 o.o it's been well over 3 hours now and I have stuff to do, what should I do? The first response I got elsewhere was that the update will just restart if I unplugged, but then I did more research and it seems that I might likely get a corrupted windows... What should I do now? BTW it's in the install step(not download) and the circle thingy is still turning.

Thanks

Hello Ben,

To be quite honest, by the sounds of it there is not a lot left to do. There is no way of interrupting it except to force a shutdown. There is a risk here, however, the chance of your computer failing to start I think is quite low.

To force a restart of your computer press and hold the power button on the front of your computer for 10 seconds, until the screen goes blank. Do not use the power switch at the wall, the reason being that the former allows the hardware to shutdown safely, and allows the hard disks to spin down and return to housing safely.

Then try to restart your computer. In the very unlikely event that something goes wrong while booting, please note it down on paper, and send it to me.

Otherwise, please download to a safe location, and install, the System Update Readiness Tool from here: Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

Now please copy the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder to your Desktop, right click on it > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder, and upload the new file which is created on your Desktop here.

Thanks a lot!

Richard

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/188365-what-do-i-do-if-windows-update-gets-stuck.html