Windows Support Forum

solve pc issues 1 important message Change windows update settings

Q: solve pc issues 1 important message Change windows update settings

I've been having this same issue for over a year now and I can NOT find a solution. I registered today because I don't know what else to do.
I keep getting this notification "solve pc issues 1 important message Change windows update settings" almost daily. The message says it's a security thing and even though I check the box everytime, I still get that message.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: solve pc issues 1 important message Change windows update settings

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: solve pc issues 1 important message Change windows update settings

For that message to go away you must have Windows Update set to automatically download and install updates.
What WU setting do you have?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/343471-solve-pc-issues-1-important-message-change-windows-update-settings.html
Relevancy 72.67%

My laptop currently has all the default update setting checked so it installs important changing settings only--help? updates update to all optional recommended and important updates Is it okay to change the setting to install only important updates What are the recommended and optional updates I will not be getting What are the pros and cons of changing this setting I am wanting to do it because I do not want windows I do actually already have the windows update installed in my update list It apparently downloaded in December However my laptop never upgraded to windows I have read that for some people their computers randomly upgraded to windows without them telling it to but for some people that never happens I am hoping I can keep it from happening by changing my update setting to download important updates only But I only want to do that if it won't cause any problems I do know I can uninstall and hide the windows update number but in all the research I did nearly everyone who said they did that said the update changing update settings to important updates only--help? installed again anyway and there is actually no way to get rid of it Thank you

A:changing update settings to important updates only--help?

I don't let it download anything myself, and I uncheck the box for give me recommended updates the same as important, these are my settings,

And with this tutorial I've set it to disable OS upgrades,

Upgrade to Windows 10 Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

Not sure if you have pro version, if you do you can use either method, if you just have the home version then you can only use option one.

I haven't had anything forced on me and I am in control of what gets downloaded, I install them all anyway except for silverlight and skype.

You have to do it manually but at least you know when and what you are installing.

I'm not sure there is setting that you are looking for, only install important updates doesn't seem be an option.

Separating the recommended from important by unchecking that box in the blue outline will give you only important updates in the important section.

As for the W10 update already downloaded, I think there is a way to get rid of it, I can't remember right now I'm sure someone else will come along with more info.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/73821-changing-update-settings-important-updates-only-help.html
Relevancy 72.67%

My laptop currently settings update changing only--help? important to updates has all the default update setting checked so it installs all optional recommended and important updates Is it okay to changing update settings to important updates only--help? change the setting to install only important updates What changing update settings to important updates only--help? are the recommended and optional updates I will not be getting What are the pros and cons of changing this setting I am wanting to do it because I do not want windows I do actually already have the windows update installed in my update list It apparently downloaded in December However my laptop never upgraded to windows I have read that for some changing update settings to important updates only--help? people their computers randomly upgraded to windows without them telling it to but for some people that never happens I am hoping I can keep it from happening by changing my update setting to download important updates only But I only want to do that if it won't cause any problems I do know I can uninstall and hide the windows update number but in all the research I did nearly everyone who said they did that said the update installed again anyway and there is actually no way to get rid of it Thank you

A:changing update settings to important updates only--help?

First of all, you don't need to Install Windows optional updates.
Secondly, you should change your Windows Update Setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

After you have changed the Windows Update Setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", Windows Update will search again for available updates.
When the search is complete, look for KB3035583, and hide this update.

The Disadvantage is that you have to manually search for Windows Updates.
But the Advantage is that you have more control of which of the Windows Updates is being Installed on your Laptop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604285/changing-update-settings-to-important-updates-only-help/
Relevancy 72.67%

My update settings changing only--help? updates important to laptop currently has all the default update setting checked so it installs all changing update settings to important updates only--help? optional recommended and important updates Is it okay to change the setting to install only important updates What are the recommended and optional updates I will not be getting What are the pros and cons of changing this setting I am wanting to do it because I do not want windows I do actually already have the windows update installed in my update list It apparently downloaded in December However my laptop never upgraded to windows I have read that for some people their computers randomly upgraded to windows without them telling it to but for some people that never happens I am hoping I can keep it from happening by changing my update setting to download important updates changing update settings to important updates only--help? only But I only want to do that if it changing update settings to important updates only--help? won't cause any problems I do know I can uninstall and hide the windows update number but in all the research I did nearly everyone who said they did that said the update installed again anyway and there is actually no way to get rid of it Thank you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/changing-update-settings-to-important-updates-only-help-1091322.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi,

On my updates settings page it is stuck on "Install updates automatically (recommended)". The box is faded out and I am unable to click on the drop-down. I'm sure my updates never used to be automatic...Is there a way to change this setting?

A:trouble changing my important update settings

Welcome
First make sure that you are in an administrative account. If you are create a new administrator account yours may be corrupt. If that does not help.

Disable the UAC and boot. Then enable it again, see if things are better. If they are not try the hidden administrator.

User Account Control (UAC)

Administrator Account

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/295482-trouble-changing-my-important-update-settings.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I have Windows search the internet with Chrome seems Internet/Can't settings/HELP Chrome/Windows 7: Server Message/No Proxy change my computer may be infected When I click chrome sometimes it gives me my home page sometimes it goes straight to the message unable to connect to the proxy server when it doesn't go directly to my home page correctly it also states Chrome/Windows 7: Proxy Server Message/No Internet/Can't change settings/HELP this exact message with an upside down face I did some research online and the Chrome message that people were posting up were a bit different from the one I am seeing When I attempt to troubleshoot by going to the Chrome settings and going down to Change Proxy settings it prompts access to this feature has been disabled by a restriction set by your system administrator even though I am using the system administrator user which is the only user on the system I've tried going in through the cmd line as well pinged netstat tracert would give me results but weren't consistent I did a system restore as well I had Sopho's anti-virus but it was out-of-date for this was my work computer back in September but think the lease for it ended so I installed AVG for now just today most likely the reasoning for the computer being infected and causing this problem I have also started the pc in safe-mode same results is this a group policy issue I am unfamiliar with group policy and couldn't find it within my computer I do have the home premium version of for what it's worth Please please help anyone I really hope there is a clean direct approach for this mess I can't get on the internet at all on this machine I can't access the method to disable the proxy server setting and I don't connect to a proxy This is a home network directly connected to my ISP ATT Uverse Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/525065/chromewindows-7-proxy-server-messageno-internetcant-change-settingshelp/
Relevancy 70.52%

I m running Windows on a bit computer I can t do any Windows Updates and when I try to open up the Firewall to see Update Firewall Windows or Change settings/Possible Can't Rootkit the settings I get Error code x D I also got Can't Update Windows or Change Firewall settings/Possible Rootkit a bluescreen once but I didn t have time to write down what it said because it restarted my system DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Robbie at on - - Microsoft Windows Enterprise GMT - SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA Can't Update Windows or Change Firewall settings/Possible Rootkit C ACF Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows system Ati evxx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system Ati evxx exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Can't Update Windows or Change Firewall settings/Possible Rootkit Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows soundman exe C Program Files Winamp winampa exe C Program Files PowerISO PWRISOVM EXE C Program Files Ask com Updater Updater exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files DivX DivX Update DivXUpdate exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows system sppsvc exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashPlayerPlugin exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashPlayerPlugin exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe globalroot systemroot Installer e a f-e -ceb - b d- a daa f U C Windows system AUDIODG EXE C Windows system DllHost exe C Windows system DllHost exe C Windows system conhost exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe Pseudo HJT Report uInternet Settings ProxyOverride local uURLSearchHooks UrlSearchHook Class - e - fd - - f e fc - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll uURLSearchHooks H - No File uURLSearchHooks FCToolbarURLSearchHook Class b c - f f- b -e d-ac fe c - c program files socialribbons Helper dll BHO DivX Plus Web Player HTML lt video gt e d- - fd- c - a f - c program files divx divx plus web player ie divxhtml DivXHTML dll BHO SocialRibbons be -f aa- - -ea d dd - c program files socialribbons Toolbar dll BHO a d b- bc - ea-aafe- c e - No File BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - c program files java jre bin ssv dll BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper d - c - abf- ecc- c - c program files common files microsoft shared windows live WindowsLiveLogin dll BHO Ask Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO Updater For Quixbar e ac - e - b -b d-e fbbb b - c program files quixbar auxi gametheorytemplaAu dll TB Ask Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll TB D E - F- E - CD - AB C CE - No File ... Read more

A:Can't Update Windows or Change Firewall settings/Possible Rootkit

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything. We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here. To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/462359 <<< CLICK THIS LINK If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.*************************************************** If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system. If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.*************************************************** We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scr DDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you should not bother creating a GMER log. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic: Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here: How to create a GMER logAs I am just... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/462359/cant-update-windows-or-change-firewall-settingspossible-rootkit/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have automatic updates set to download automatically but to ask me when settings Windows Update Automatic spontaneously change to install them An update downloaded and I received a notice to click the little icon in the task bar when ready to install I had something critical running that needed to finish its work but Windows Automatic Update settings spontaneously change would take all night to run so I couldn't Windows Automatic Update settings spontaneously change install the updates right away I went to bed and at some point during the night Windows Windows Automatic Update settings spontaneously change installed the critical updates and forced the computer to restart I consequently woke with quite a surprise when I found my computer had been rebooted with a nice little alert from Windows telling me the reason I check the Automatic Update settings and sure enough they had changed to both download AND install No one but myself uses this computer and I did not change them In fact this is the nd time to my memory that the settings have spontaneously switched to download and install without me selecting it What is going on here

A:Windows Automatic Update settings spontaneously change

Sometimes when there are updates ready to install and you are shutting down the computer you will see at the shut down screen that you have a choice to either shut down after updates have installed or shut down without installing the updates.
Now something may have cause the system to reboot thus when the system rebooted it installed the updates before reboot. This is the only thing I can think of that may have allowed this update(s) to install.

What was the critical task that was being preformed at the time you left it alone for the night?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-automatic-update-settings-spontaneously-change-140518.html
Relevancy 69.66%

On advice from Ratandeep here http answers microsoft com en-us windows forum windows -winapps change-windows-firewall-settings-to-block-foxit c e f- df- d e- fcd- c f I'm cross-posting the issue here BEGIN CROSS-POST Change Windows Firewall settings to block Foxit update MarkFilipak Windows asked on Howdy friends Overview I need help crafting firewall settings that will prevent Foxit Foxit block Firewall update settings Change to Windows Reader Change Windows Firewall settings to block Foxit update updates Details When I run Foxit Reader I can see 'Foxit Reader exe' in Task Manager When I run Foxit Update from Foxit Reader menu or from Start Menu's Run line I see 'Foxit Update exe' in Task Manager Foxit Update starts downloading an update Obviously it is not being blocked I need to block Foxit Reader amp Foxit Update from the Internet The firewall settings are shown below They don't work Win Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Domain Profile Change Windows Firewall settings to block Foxit update - Windows Firewall is on - All inbound connections are blocked - Outbound connections that do not match Change Windows Firewall settings to block Foxit update a rule are blocked Private Profile - Windows Firewall is on - All inbound connections are blocked - Outbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked Domain Profile - Windows Firewall is on - All inbound connections are blocked - Outbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked INBOUND Name Block Inbound FoxitReader Group Profile All Enabled Yes Action Block Override No Program ProgramFiles x Foxit Software Foxit Reader Foxit Reader exe Local Address Any Remote Address Any Protocol Any Local Port Any Remote Port Any Allowed Users Any Allowed Computers Any Name Block Inbound FoxitUpdater Group Profile All Enabled Yes Action Block Override No Program ProgramFiles x Foxit Software Foxit Reader Foxit Updater exe Local Address Any Remote Address Any Protocol Any Local Port Any Remote Port Any Allowed Users Any Allowed Computers Any OUTBOUND Name Block Outbound FoxitReader Group Profile All Enabled Yes Action Block Program ProgramFiles x Foxit Software Foxit Reader Foxit Reader exe Local Address Any Remote Address Any Protocol Any Local Port Any Remote Port Any Allowed Computers Any Name Block Outbound FoxitUpdater Group Profile All Enabled Yes Action Block Program ProgramFiles x Foxit Software Foxit Reader Foxit Updater exe Local Address Any Remote Address Any Protocol Any Local Port Any Remote Port Any Allowed Computers Any END CROSS-POST Essentially the first problem appears to be that though I have selected quot Outbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked quot outbound connections are not being blocked at all Is my Windows Firewall broken Thank You With Regards Mark

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/00912146-67de-4d3a-a61a-324404eeef08/change-windows-firewall-settings-to-block-foxit-update?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 67.51%

Afternoon everyone A few days ago my update 10 - issues with settings Windows display Latest Windows did the usual automatic updates on my PC However I was forced to undo those updates via Windows because the updates changed all of my display settings making my eyes burn and water when reading my screen my Latest Windows 10 update - issues with display settings settings are geared for someone with slightly bad eyesight who reads via the PC for a living However now that I have uninstalled the recent updates my PC is suddenly not working properly - my mouse does its own thing half the time as does Windows Explorer - things like highlighting words in documents when I've actually just clicked next to Latest Windows 10 update - issues with display settings the word opening documents when I try to highlight more than one adding tabs when I Latest Windows 10 update - issues with display settings place my cursor at the end of a paragraph going back two windows instead of one when clicking 'back' once in Windows Explorer opening multiple browser Firefox tabs when it would usually open in the same page but my browser settings are still the same or opening random webpages that I never clicked on the list goes on These issues are causing havoc and making it impossible to work Possibly relevant A few weeks after I first upgraded to Windows that was some time ago I started having similar issues - it turned out that some of my drivers had to be updated and as soon as that was done all the problems vanished However after undoing the recent updates my PC should be running exactly the way it was before and my drivers should surely not have been affected Does anyone know what exactly the latest updates are for and how I can install them manually one by one so I can see which one is causing the issue with my display settings and where can I find a list of the updates for manual download I did already find a list on Microsoft's website but it's in CSV format and I can't open that on my PC - any idea how I can view that list via Windows itself I am not very tech savvy when it comes to these issues and am super frustrated and stressed Any help will be VERY much appreciated Vanessa

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/66080-latest-windows-10-update-issues-display-settings.html
Relevancy 67.08%

That is my problem as stated above.

Henry

A:Can't change am/pm in settings, update,change active hours.

Hello Henry,

You should be able to click/tap on the arrows above/below AM/PM, or click on AM or PM to select one like below.

Windows Update Active Hours - Change in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/59486-cant-change-am-pm-settings-update-change-active-hours.html
Relevancy 67.08%
Relevancy 65.79%

Having swapped out a faulty MB how do I change the associated service tag details for the Studio 1558. Also Windows 7 Update is not working is this associated with the MB swap?

A:Change Service Tag Studio 1558 and Windows 7 Update Issues

Hi GRVP,
Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.
How are you trying to update the Windows 7?
Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.
To private message: Click on my DELL-username and send the private message.
(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984904
Relevancy 63.64%

Windows Vista SP1 (KB936330) update keeps coming back as important update after installing it several times. I look at updates history and it show the same update already installed several times. Service Pack 1 (KB936330). I don't see update for Service
Pack 2 though. Can someone advice please, I am not sure what to do. I'd appreciate an advice. Thank you

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/13040f9f-69e6-472f-82c0-6a04955a1674/windows-vista-sp1-kb936330-update-keeps-coming-back-as-important-update-after-installing-it?forum=itprovistasp
Relevancy 62.78%

hi all i havent used windows update in a while it is still working but it wont allow me to change the settings for automatic updates it says the administrator has switched them off and since i am the administrator why cant i switch them back on again any ideas people

A:cant change update settings

Originally Posted by xera2112

hi all i havent used windows update in a while it is still working but it wont allow me to change the settings for automatic updates it says the administrator has switched them off and since i am the administrator why cant i switch them back on again any ideas people

Hi xera2112,

Are you positive you're in an administrative account and not a standard account?
Maybe it has been switched. Might want to take a look at this tutorial from Brink. And some other useful tutorials in Tutorials-User accounts.

User Account Type

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/201426-cant-change-update-settings.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have had a very no multipe issues 8.1 to access settings 911!!!! change pc difficult and frustrating few weeks trying to trial and error my way along self learning I really do not know where to begin so 8.1 multipe issues no access to change pc settings 911!!!! bear with me folks To assist in this divulging of said quandary i have suppled some screenshots which i hope will aid the process My original concern was prompted by my inability to open the change pc settings menu followed by the identical inability to open windows metro apps notably windows store I have done lots of reading and tried all of the obvious routes admittedly i did so as a complete bumbling noob so that may mean very little i used the dism process to rid the os of corrupted windows store issues i think although when i again ran troubleshooter i got the same 8.1 multipe issues no access to change pc settings 911!!!! error here asre some pictures which might shed some light on the dim degradation of my desktop dilema P also i noticed that refresh and reset utilities are disabled and greyed out along with most of the other system settings type tools ok so ill close here and cross my fingers that somebody can help me

A:8.1 multipe issues no access to change pc settings 911!!!!

also meant to note that i have many user accounts listed in the file explorer folder view but upon trying to manipulate user accounts i get just my profile showing up. To add to the insanity i ran ttrouble shooter which indicated that windows update and security settings were changed or altered, those are my words however and the actual readout was dissimilar to my terminologies here. Apologies in advance in regards to my n00bishness.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/54595-8-1-multipe-issues-no-access-change-pc-settings-911-a.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi All ?

I have two issues with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit that I cannot fix even though I have spent already many hours searching the net and have followed many of the suggestions offered. The pc wakes almost every night and frequently freezes at restart ? not every single time, but more often than not, and I?ll have to switch the power off and on and then the pc will boot normally.

I have so far not been able to find anything in Task Manager that could wake the pc and or fix the occasional freezing on restart.

I would be grateful for any suggestions of howto fix these issues.

Many thanks in advance.

esbkk11000

A:Can't solve my two issues with Windows 8

Welcome. Changing you Windows update settings so that update does nothing automatically is one possibility. While it may not work for you, you could try turning fast startup off: Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/21058-cant-solve-my-two-issues-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello all

When executing Windows Update, I experienced that one important update is not automatically selected to download and install.

I like to understand why this is?

Also I like to understand if I should always install all important updates, even the ones not by default selected?

In this example, the not selected update refers to MS09-054 security update. Is this a manual installed security update?
Does it not apply to me?

Thanks a lot in advance!

zx81

A:Windows Update, important update not selected

Not all users experience the issue that this update resolves. MS is providing you the oportunity to use the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" logic.

I applied the update even though I have no evidence that I need it. Yet.

Some updates will adversely affect some users. Not applying updates may adversely affect you.

What can you do? My advice - apply all updates. Unless you have a good reason not to.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/35094-windows-update-important-update-not-selected.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Here are Microsoft's Instructions to Change Settings for Updates

"...In the left pane, click Change settings.

Under Microsoft Update, select the Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows check box.

To get notifications of new Microsoft software, select the Show me detailed notifications when new Microsoft software is available check box..."

See the attached two (2) .png images. On my 32 Bit Windows 7 Starter, notice how the required boxes needed to check are not shown. I would like to have this ability - just like on my 64 Bit Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Notebook. Seems like Microsoft goofed up something in their system software for Windows 7 Starter 32 bit.

Any ideas how to get the missing check boxes? Maybe with REGEDIT? Or something else?

A:Change Update Settings Win 7 Starter 32 Bit - Messed Up

From experience I know that Win 7 Starter has some items removed, might it not be that your OS has these update settings missing?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/390395-change-update-settings-win-7-starter-32-bit-messed-up.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi, first time poster here....

So i'm logged in as an administrator yet i can't change the settings in automatic update. i can see the settings but they are greyed and "locked". very annoying.

Has anyone seen this issue? It may have been there all along i just never cared to change the settings until the pending SP1 release.. i want to be there when it happens instead of the default setting of 3am!

Much appreciated!

A:not allowed to change update settings as administrator??

Ah, I once had this problem. When I was on my university's network, they had group settings that seemed to force that. I never found a way around the issue, even after I left school. The only thing that resolved the problem was a fresh install of Vista.

Someone with more network experience might be able to help you, but I was unable to find assistance.

As a workaround, you can always search for updates on your own. I did that quite often.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/134539-not-allowed-change-update-settings-administrator.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello, I would like to know if switching from windows 8.1 x64 to windows 10 solve technical issues with the windows updates? Ever since I starting having problems with windows updates starting with W7, all version (32 and 64 bits) and methods to solve 'updates takes too long long to check' (up to 4hrs or to the following day). Failed, even with wsusoffline tool. Did clean install 6x and still the same problem. It the same with windows 8, then upgrade to 8.1. I would like to update to W10 but worried that I would face the same problems but also with the with application and drivers for my laptop, the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite GS505037 (2009 model).Check the Toshiba support website, no drivers for W10.
My laptop is in perfect working conditions. Any advice or suggestion would be very helpful. Thank You

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/would-upgrading-to-windows-10-solve-the-updates-issues-1167313.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello,
I'am downloading very important files but I'm afraid that my computer might switch off because windows update gave me a notice that the computer will switch off after an update and the maximum amount of time you can postpone the computer to switch off is 4 hours (That's what I done). I will not be able to use the computer for more than 4 hours.
So this is what I did>> I think I turned windows update off by choosing the option of 'Never check for update (not recommended).

Now the question is> Will my computer switch off within 4 hours after I leave it?
If it will, then how can I make it not switch off.

PLEASE NOTE: The download is NOT resumable.
EDIT: I'm using Windows 7.

Thank you for reading.

A:[IMPORTANT] Windows Update

In my experience if you are still using the computer at the end of that 4 hours it will give you another warning and you will be able to postpone it again for another 4 hours. Then repeat process until the download is done. I am not sure if turning updates off will have stopped the countdown.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/important-windows-update-503478.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Windows Update has often put my system in some interesting situations and I truly never want to update ever again I recently reinstalled my system and the last time I did updates my system prompted me to restart and was instead left hanging on the quot shutting down quot message for an important? Windows Update Is hour forcing me to shut it down improperly Truth is I don't use any Microsoft apps except Windows Explorer and I only browse sites that I know are generally safe Instead of using Internet Explorer I use Firefox with NoScript Ghostery WOT Adblock Plus and I've even updated the main plugins Java etc I also have Malwarebytes and Norton as well I've also never Is Windows Update important? understood the importance of Is Windows Update important? driver updates either my system seems to run the same with or without them I'm even beginning to think that updating is causing my system to work harder in the background rather than when it was in factory condition but is this true So many questions

A:Is Windows Update important?

You have some good anti-malware software and keep Java updated, yet you fail to see the significance of keeping the operating system updated........??????

Fact : your system is more secure and runs better if the OS is updated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/272922-windows-update-important.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Ever since upgrading to Windows 8.1 I haven't been able to change my update settings. The drop-down is greyed out and can't be clicked on. Above the drop down it says "Some settings are managed by your system administrator"

I've deleted my user account and created a new one, but the problem remains. I've unlocked the Administrator account, but even through that account the settings can't be changed. I'm not in a homegroup, as I've heard this could solve the problem and I've disconnected and reconnected my Microsoft account to my User Account to no avail.

Please help, Windows keeps updating and I don't have the bandwidth to continue this way.

I think there are threads on this subject. Haven't been able to find any one that solves my problem.

-C

A:Can't Change Update Settings "Some settings are managed.."

Hello C, and welcome to Eight Forums.

This sounds like a group policy has been set to prevent access to those settings. As you found out, this would be a global setting applied to all user accounts (new and old).

Please post a screenshot showing your Windows Update settings to help narrow down which policy it may be since there are a few for Windows Update.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/46112-cant-change-update-settings-some-settings-managed.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello,

I upgraded my Vista laptop to Win 7 Home Premium 64. It took a few days to get it running, install all drivers, new BIOS, etc.

But I still have one problem left.

Wuauserv is eating 50% cpu constantly. It is windows update related. I seem to have problems with the updates. It says that "some settings are managed by your system administrator" and everything is grayed out. I can't change a thing. I am the only owner of this laptop, I am the admin, I don't understand what this is.

Could you please help?

Thank you!

A:Update problem wauserv eating 50% cpu can't change updates settings

Also, it seems my computer thinks I'm part of a Workgroup, but I use this laptop at home.

Member of Domain / Workgroup, domain is grayed out, workgroup is checked.

I don't have Group Policy installed.

It was not a clean install, but an upgrade using genuine Toshiba software.

Windows is constantly checking for updates without success.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/395357-update-problem-wauserv-eating-50-cpu-cant-change-updates-settings.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello,

I upgraded my Vista laptop to Win 7 Home Premium 64. It took a few days to get it running, install all drivers, new BIOS, etc.

But I still have one problem left.

Wuauserv is eating 50% cpu constantly. It is windows update related. I seem to have problems with the updates. It says that "some settings are managed by your system administrator" and everything is grayed out. I can't change a thing. I am the only owner of this laptop, I am the admin, I don't understand what this is.

Could you please help?

Thank you!

A:Update problem wauserv eating 50% cpu can't change updates settings

Also, it seems my computer thinks I'm part of a Workgroup, but I use this laptop at home.

Member of Domain / Workgroup, domain is grayed out, workgroup is checked.

I don't have Group Policy installed.

It was not a clean install, but an upgrade using genuine Toshiba software.

Windows is constantly checking for updates without success.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395357-update-problem-wauserv-eating-50-cpu-cant-change-updates-settings.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Good Day nbsp how to solve windows shutdown issues power keyboard lights are still on nbsp as for my question above i need to hold power button for like seconds to fully shutdown my laptop even restart or sleep windows to issues(power,keyb... shutdown how solve 10 doesnt work right i upgraded from a genuine win to the free win by that reservation app windows offered im using acer aspire v how to solve windows 10 shutdown issues(power,keyb... - g i gt m version finnish keyboard layout nbsp solutions i tried from random searches that didn't work for me un-checking fast shutdown at power options turning off hibernation at cmd types a code forgot what i was updating all drivers and bios with acer sites official drivers driver pack solution and intels driver update utility downgrading intel management engine components driver from to going to bios and resetting it to default settings making a shutdown shortcut with codes ex shutdown s t shift click shutdown nbsp im thinking of reinstalling windows via recovery that deletes apps files drivers etc and hope this solves it i cant roll back to win because ive done this reset before to fully clean my system from win files and random trashes and the rollback option was gone nbsp thanks in advance Solved Go to Solution

A:how to solve windows 10 shutdown issues(power,keyb...

Hello/Hallo wuschel93, exactly what I had. Shutdown issue apprears only after some time running the notebook. The problem is INTEL MANAGEMEN ENGINE V.11 RELATED! I fixed it with uninstalling Intel Management Engine Version 11. Windows will install then version 9.5 automaticly. After that I disabled automatic driver update for this device. You can also install 9.5 without uninstalling the old one, it wil be overwritten. Other manufactures also have this problem, but while Acer is still sleeping, they provide a solution (including download links): http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Sleep-and-Shutdown-issues-after... Maybe there are some other issues that result in the same problem. But in most of the cases this is the answer. The thread starter maybe forgot to disable automatic driver update or did the installation of v9.5 wrong?   Tepco     

View solution in original post

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/how-to-solve-windows-10-shutdown-issues-power-keyboard-lights/td-p/382344/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 60.2%

Good Day nbsp how to solve windows shutdown issues power keyboard lights are still on nbsp as for my question above i need to hold power button for like seconds to fully shutdown my laptop even restart or sleep doesnt work right i upgraded from a genuine win to the free win by issues(power,keyb... 10 to solve shutdown how windows that reservation app windows offered im using acer aspire v - g i gt m version finnish keyboard layout nbsp solutions i tried from random searches that didn't work for me un-checking fast shutdown at power options turning off hibernation at cmd types a code forgot what i was updating all drivers and bios with acer sites official how to solve windows 10 shutdown issues(power,keyb... drivers driver pack solution and intels how to solve windows 10 shutdown issues(power,keyb... driver update utility downgrading intel management engine components driver from to going to bios and resetting it to default settings making a shutdown shortcut with codes ex shutdown s t shift click shutdown nbsp im thinking of reinstalling windows via recovery that deletes apps files drivers etc and hope this solves it i cant roll back to win because ive done this reset before to fully clean my system from win files and random trashes and the rollback option was gone nbsp thanks in advance Solved Go to Solution

A:how to solve windows 10 shutdown issues(power,keyb...

Hello/Hallo wuschel93, exactly what I had. Shutdown issue apprears only after some time running the notebook. The problem is INTEL MANAGEMEN ENGINE V.11 RELATED! I fixed it with uninstalling Intel Management Engine Version 11. Windows will install then version 9.5 automaticly. After that I disabled automatic driver update for this device. You can also install 9.5 without uninstalling the old one, it wil be overwritten. Other manufactures also have this problem, but while Acer is still sleeping, they provide a solution (including download links): http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Sleep-and-Shutdown-issues-after... Maybe there are some other issues that result in the same problem. But in most of the cases this is the answer. The thread starter maybe forgot to disable automatic driver update or did the installation of v9.5 wrong?   Tepco     

View solution in original post

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/how-to-solve-windows-10-shutdown-issues-power-keyboard-lights/td-p/382344
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello Forum,

One of my Windows updates (one of nine) failed earlier, but when I opened up my Update window again to see if I could retry, it doesn't give you the option to do it (first time in five years with this computer it has happened - ALL my updates have been successful). It shows the failed update in the Update History, but does not give you the option to install it again. How can I try to install that update again even though I can't locate the option to do it? Thank you.

A:One Important Windows Update Failed

There is usually a download from Microsoft's website.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/300079-one-important-windows-update-failed.html
Relevancy 60.2%

When Windows 8.1 pro starts up a message saying Windows Update. Important updates are available Go to PC, it stays very briefly.

Checking Windows updates it says no updates so I checked for updates and it found none, I have Windows update to Install update automatically.

Has any one else had this message or know what the cause is?

Walter

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69587-windows-update-important-updates-available-go-pc.html
Relevancy 60.2%

My PC has told me that there's an important Windows 7 update to install, but whenever I try, I'm told that the installation has failed.

Attached is the pop up I get with the details of the failure.

Any ideas how I can remedy the error? Thanks.

A:Can't install Important Windows Update

Hi try running sfc /scannow How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-install-important-windows-update-586406.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update for me so I attempted to install it However when it was done I was told that the installation failed I restarted the computer and attempted to install it again but it still failed I looked into more detail on what I was installing which was Microsoft NET Framework KB and went to the site it was based on and attempted to install it from there When the setup came up however I recieved this message quot KB v does not apply or is blocked by another condition on your computer quot I'm not entirely sure what this means and since this keeps Windows 7 for Important failing Update is apparently an important update for my laptop I ask if there is a way I can solve the problem also it's Important Update for Windows 7 keeps failing getting irritating to have my laptop keep on reminding me to update something that Important Update for Windows 7 keeps failing fails to update Thank you P S I don't know if this helps but my laptop has Norton

A:Important Update for Windows 7 keeps failing

Norton may be blocking it, especially seeing this "KB2468871v2 does not apply, or is blocked by another condition on your computer."

Read this KB2468871 System Update Install Error&#33; &#40;error 643&#41; - Microsoft Answers

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/208499-important-update-windows-7-keeps-failing.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi Win 8/64 bit ... how necessary is this update? i get notices but choose what i install - thanks in advance"
KB3095108 Updated APN database entry for Transatel (France, Worldwide) network for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/73473-windows-update-kb3095108-important.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi guys,

I'm wondering why this security patch for a zero day flaw in IE 11 is not checked by default? Surely it should be.

A:KB2964358 Important update (but not that important)

Don't know why.
I usually manually check one or right click on one & hide it.
I hide all bing desktop updates.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/45596-kb2964358-important-update-but-not-important.html
Relevancy 59.77%

When I m trying to update from 8.1 to 10 its showing 801881d0 error though I have Wi-Fi connection of 1mbps..After loading 3% its showing error again nd again..please help me as soon as possible..please

A:how to solve 801881d0 problem for update in windows 8.1

The error code, is referring to a slow download speed. It indicates that the line speed is dropping below 1mbps.
There are a plethora of threads regarding this issue, and many diagnostic checks you can make.
Have you turned wifi off, forgotten network, and re-connected?
If that fails, why not join the site, and see how others, with the exact same issues, got around it.
Best of luck, and see you on the boards

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/425341-how-solve-801881d0-problem-update-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi,

I have a problem with updates that try to install every time PC restart.
They give me everytime error code 80070490 and if I try to press Try again then give me error code 8024AFFF.
I try to solve the problem with Microsoft FixIt, then update was installed succesfully, but after restart they try to install it again (everytime the same update) and give the same error.

I found some solution on the net that not work for me:
1. Windows Update error 80070490
2. Error code 0x80070490 when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
3. Code Error 80070490 checking for Windows Updates - Microsoft Community

I not use first option becouse I not have original DVD, I have a PC with preinstalled system Windows 7 Home Premium.

Anyone have any ideo how to solve this problem?

A:Windows Important Security Update Error

Since it's 18 hours since you posted this with no response, I'd say it may be because you didn't provide the info that this forum requires. Run the SURT program, the sfc scan, and post the logs that are requested in the instructions found here:
Windows Update Posting Instructions
Hopefully then you get a better response. I'm new here too and just learning the ropes, BTW.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/300059-windows-important-security-update-error.html
Relevancy 59.34%

DO NOT let windows update dl and instal drivers for hardware devices such as video cards, sound cards automatically. If it detects an update for a device, go download it from the manufacturers website directly, (nvidea users, nvidea has a nice little auto-detect feature on their site so you cant get the wrong driver). only let windows update dl and install updates for microsoft products only.

A:IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR WINDOWS 7 UPDATE USERS:

No problems here with NVIDIA, Realtek or IDT drivers installing via Windows Updates.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/important-notice-for-windows-7-update-users-566695.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Windows calls KB3193414 update important, but when I click for more details, it just takes me to a page that's an advertisement to buy Windows 10. [https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows] I don't want Windows 10 because I'm still using media center and one piece of hardware I don't want to buy again.

Does anyone know more about this update? When I check MSE, it says it's up to date.

A:Windows calls KB3193414 update important, but...

Can you take a screenshot of your windows update? That doesn't seem like a valid update number. Haven't seen that one on any of my systems. Google search doesn't bring up anything for me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/401125-windows-calls-kb3193414-update-important-but.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi I'm new to this site, but am struggling with a windows update.  I have followed others' suggestions, and installed other Windows Updates from the same period one at a time, but this one always fails.  Someone suggested using malwarebytes and then trying again, but that didn't work either.  Anyone else found a solution to this problem?  

A:Windows Important Update KB2800095 will not instal

Maddylondon

What is your operating system, antivirus? What kind of error shows? 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542389/windows-important-update-kb2800095-will-not-instal/
Relevancy 59.34%

My HD on my Toshiba Satellite M -S went bad so Windows showing update available No important updates I reinstalled a new one and used the Toshiba System recovery DVDs to restore my laptop back to the factory condition Windows Windows update showing No important updates available Home Premium bit Initially Windows Update showed important updates to which I was able to download and install without any problems But now Windows Update refuses to show any additional important updates IE SP Windows update showing No important updates available etc and states quot No important updates available quot I came across the following thread on Toshiba's forum but the recommendations there did not help either - After Restoring to New Hard Disk No Windows Updat - TOSHIBA FORUMS I tried the following Made sure the Windows install was genuine and activated Installed the Intel Rapid Storage Tech driver dated from toshibas website Installed Hot Fix as recommended on Toshiba's forum Ran the SURT Ran a SFC Scan no errors found I've uploaded a few screenshots as well as the CBS folder I had to split up files in the CBS folder across multiples ZIP files as it exceeded the file size for posting in the forum I'm at a total loss and have no clue on how to update my machine and any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance

A:Windows update showing No important updates available

Please post the C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log file
I can see no problems in either the CBS or CheckSUR logs (haven't looked through the history yet, though)

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/289297-windows-update-showing-no-important-updates-available.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Aug. 11, 2006 &#8212; The Department of Homeland Security released a statement Wednesday advising Windows PC owners across the nation to update their computers or face a potential attack from hackers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=2303485&page=1

Security Patch + More info from Microsoft

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/homeland-security-issues-warning-to-windows-users-very-important.491882/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have W7 Professional and 'Windows Update' shows 2 important updates.I click on update but it fails with error error code 800B0100. Clicking on 'get help' does not provide a solution. Can anyone help please?

A:Windows update shows 2 important but download fails

What are the 2 updates ?

Did you google the error code.

You could have newer versions of them, if it keeps up, just hide the updates.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/358208-windows-update-shows-2-important-but-download-fails.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I don't use Skype. I uninstalled it. Windows Update keeps sending updates and marking them as 'important.' If I run the update I find I need to uninstall the program again.

I'd like reassurance that I can safely ignore these updates.

It makes sense to me, but software has gotten complex enough that I want to be sure that this update only updates Skype for Windows and that failure to implement it does not leave a gaping hole in Windows 7.

thanks

baumgrenze

A:Skype For Windows - Program Not Installed - Important Update?

If you change windows update settings as shown below then in theory you will not be offered skype. If you prevoiusly had skype installed and are still offered updates then I guess that skype wasn't fully removed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/402722-skype-windows-program-not-installed-important-update.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Im not able to find any windows important windows updates it gives me this code 0x80190194 and system cannot determine vulome of drive just before the welcome screen for my password please help.

A:Windows Update not able to find important updates 0x80190194

Are you saying that you are unable to actually load Windows to your profile?
What happens if you attempt to boot to either Safe Mode, or Last Known Good Configuration?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/337502-windows-update-not-able-find-important-updates-0x80190194.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Bought 2 PCs this year, one in May and the other in June, all with Windows 10 64b.
Forgot the update special feature of the home version. I had Shadow Defender installed on both of the 2 PCs and set to "enter shadow mode on boot."

Everything was running smoothly until last week when the first PC had another Windows update (It had updated many times before). Windows was installing the update at the start of the PC, the it restarted and restarted in a endless loop. The PC is paralyzed since it cannot boot into Windows.

How to solve this problem?

Thanks.

A:How to solve Windows 10 home update looping endlessly at start?

The problem with tools like this is that they are very intrusive into the system, and they are very susceptible to problems with new versions of the OS, largely because they insert themselves into the OS in places the OS designers did not plan for.

In particular, Shadow Defender appears to have had an update recently to fix problems with recent versions of Windows 10. My guess is you probably weren't up to date:

Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool

As for how to fix it, since this is likely caused by SD, you might want to email their tech support

[email protected]

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/64826-how-solve-windows-10-home-update-looping-endlessly-start.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hey guys,

Tonight i built and set up the aforementioned Nuc pc and installed windows 7. However some of the drivers arent installing like the integrated hd 5500 graphics driver and the engine management one. These 2 pop up in my windows update as "important updates" but i get failed messages when i try and install them.

Thank you,

A:Intel NUC5i3RYH, Windows 7 Update not installing important updates

I regard Windows Update as a last resort for installing drivers, and suggest installing the drivers supplied by Intel for the board:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83257/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5i3RYH

If you have had driver installs fail, it may be necessary to boot into Safe Mode and delete failed installations from Device Manager and install again if you continue to have installs fail.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/622423/intel-nuc5i3ryh-windows-7-update-not-installing-important-updates/
Relevancy 58.05%

Computer HP Pavilion Entertainment PC-HP Pavilion dv Laptop ???? Install/Update Driver settings Issues, Network w Windows Home Premium Issue Under Device manager- Other Devices Base System Device- the drivers for for this device are not installed Code When I click Update Driver-Windows was unable to install Base System Device s Windows could not find driver software Under Device manager- Other Devices Coprocessor- the drivers for for this device are not installed When I click Update Driver Install/Update Issues, Network settings ???? Driver- r-Windows was unable to install Coprocessor Windows could not find driver software Under Device manager- Other Devices NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller- This device cannot start Code No update option is given When trying to connect to the internet for HP support The settings on the Computer do not match the requirements of the Network- Open Network and Sharing Center- all Troubleshooting Set up New Network and Connect to Network results in quot Check Network Settings- Network Adapters- Diagnose Network Settings results in message of quot make sure Computer is in range which I am sitting right next to the router- I do troubleshoot thru network adapters and end with the message of Update Driver use windows Update When I use the Windows update Windows encounters unknown error and the updates are not installed I can not find or obtain the Manufacturer Software Disc and the Laptop will not connect to the internet to install the drivers if downloaded to the Laptop I am contacting you from my personal Computer I have called HP Tech Support spent over Hour with them and not get anywhere Someone PLEASE throw me a life line here I am willing to do a Reset to Factory Settings but I seem to not find a way to do it with out that disc nbsp

A:Driver Install/Update Issues, Network settings ????

What's the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker of that HP Pavilion dv9000 series laptop so we can determine the EXACT model number that you have?

The HP/Compaq support site lists 98 models for the dv9000 series laptop.

----------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/driver-install-update-issues-network-settings.1064359/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi when running windows update all the updates fail and give the error code 800706F7. I have retried 3 times all to the same result. i have searched for this error code and the only results i found was about removing a previous 2014 update but this was not on my computer. i have ran the System Update Readiness Tool which installed 1 update however i can still not download the other updates

A:windows update error code 800706F7 54 important updates failed

Tried again and am now also getting error codes 80246007 and 8007002

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/371496-windows-update-error-code-800706f7-54-important-updates-failed.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi All So I came home from work to a 'Windows Update has failed reverting changes' screen Left it overnight it got stuck at 'Shutting down' so I rebooted it to find the can't RV510) Windows problem update with (Samsung monitor external failed, solve same 'Windows Update has failed' screen Having googled a few solutions Windows update failed, can't solve problem with external monitor (Samsung RV510) it seems like there's a few ways to circumvent this problem but they all seem to involve booting in Safe Mode My problem is that my laptop screen is broken so I'm forced to use an Windows update failed, can't solve problem with external monitor (Samsung RV510) external monitor which doesn't display any content which would allow me to boot in safe mode I've read that Fn F should be able Windows update failed, can't solve problem with external monitor (Samsung RV510) to switch output to my external monitor it doesn't Here's where it gets interesting My laptop screen was removed very crudely read pulled off and so the cable which connected the GPU to the screen is still attached to its original position inside the laptop Is this preventing me from seeing the boot menus on my external monitor If not are there any inventive solutions for me to be able to circumvent this Windows update failure screen I've read about unattended install discs so I might have to look into that as a last resort Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567143/windows-update-failed-cant-solve-problem-with-external-monitor-samsung-rv510/
Relevancy 57.19%

I'M GETTING THIS MESSAGE WHEN I GO TO ONLY ONE WEBSITE....

An   issue prevented Internet Explorer from displaying the web page.    Click the button above to launch HP Network Check to automatically   diagnose and repair the issue.<o:p></o:p><u1:p></u1:p>
About HP Network Check

Can automatically detect, diagnose and repair   many common network issues

Integrated with Windows Network Diagnostics   Framework, so it runs both simultaneusly

Provides clear instructions to resolve issues   that cannot be fixed automatically

Shows key system and network information for   easier troubleshooting

WHEN I ALLOW DIAGNOSIS...NO ISSUE IS DETERMINED....INDICATES 'NO ISSUE FOUND WITH  CONNECTION.  HOW ONE OR TWO ISSUES WITH INTERNET WEBSITE (?)...
IT'S JUST AN EMPLOYMENT WEBSITE.....NOT COMPUTER SAAVY....NOT OFFENDED FOR A DUMBDOWN....THANK YOU

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0bfb3377-04d7-4bcb-a868-522eda8a4a40/previous-computer-crashdue-to-windows-updaterecovery-donenow-important-website?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 55.9%

How do I solve the "Feature ID not registered" error so I can access my Windows files?

A:Windows cannot be activated due to error message "Feature ID not registered" How to solve?

that's a 'file association' error, sometimes Office related ... are you trying to open a document? or what?

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/windows-cannot-be-activated-due-to-error-message-feature-id-not-registered-how-to-solve.4070789/
Relevancy 55.47%

Here's will 800B0100 not Code details: update. Important Error Update Vista another tricky one This important security update will not update It is only Kb Microsoft says it is caused by a virus problem I have Norton installed Norton say it is Vista Important Update will not update. Error details: Code 800B0100 not a Vista Important Update will not update. Error details: Code 800B0100 virus Microsoft say pay us to fix it I say I can't afford to pay that for something when I have no way of knowing exactly what the problem really is This has been going on since November All the other updates are installed immediately but not this one Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework SP on Windows Vista SP and Windows Server SP x KB Installation date PM Installation status Failed Error details Code B Update type Important A security issue has Vista Important Update will not update. Error details: Code 800B0100 been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article After you install this update you may have to restart your system More information MS - Description of the security update for the NET Framework Service Pack for Windows Vista Service Pack and Windows Server Service Pack October Just noticed this more recent one failed to update - Security Update for Windows Vista KB Installation date PM Installation status Failed Error details Code F Update type Important A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article After you install this update you may have to restart your system More information MS - Description of the security update for USB drivers October Help and Support Microsoft Support Any ideas please

A:Vista Important Update will not update. Error details: Code 800B0100

That error is not caused by a virus, it is caused by a file corruption
The readiness tool can correct the problem in many situations
What is the System Update Readiness Tool? - Windows Help

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/303686-vista-important-update-will-not-update-error-details-code-800b0100.html
Relevancy 55.47%

be truthful to the public. I have been reading a lot about people ditching windows and going to Linux. I wonder why. wow I used to love and trust windows. now I don't know anymore. you all have become something other than wonderful like I used to think.
too bad. maybe I should learn Linux too. windows is probably a habit lots of people will learn to break. scary. Be honest about your updates. ty.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/adfd864d-cfe8-4d34-8f4e-166e72a3a04a/why-cant-i-uninstall-an-update-todays-update-is-making-my-computer-act-unruly-i-hate-that-if?forum=itprovistasecurity
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi, just wondering if I'm the only one to have noted that MS offers to install pending Windows Updates on the Safe Mode login screen in an identical fashion to normal mode.

...er.. did you notice the inconsistency?

Situation: Set Windows Updates to notify, not download. Require password to log in. With pending windows updates, go to safe mode. MS use exactly the same screen as in normal mode, including the notification of updates and instruction to go to PC Settings to install them.

...er.. but it's Safe Mode... please sir, I haven't got an internet connection...

Oops?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/45677-important-updates-go-pc-settings-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 55.04%

An Ontario Housing site will not allow me to log in. It requires the application number (which I have) and my password (which I have lost). Neither "forgot your password?" or "Log In" are clickable and
a popup notifies me that I need: IE 5 or above (I have 10); pop-ups enabled (I have allowed this); Active Scripting enabled (Options > Security > Custom > Scripting > Active scripting > Enable) and cookies enabled (I tried both Accept All and Medium).

Tried Firefox -same problem as IE.

What else can I try?

edit: I have IE 11, not 10.

A:can't access important online application despite settings - IE 10

Hi,
This is usually a sign the site does not recognize ie10 using compatibility view,
The easiest is to notice if you see the Broken page icon the address bar is Blue which means it's activated,
Gray is not activated,

Otherwise to force a change hit the F12 key click on Browser mode and switch to ie10,
The page will auto refresh after,

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/319102-cant-access-important-online-application-despite-settings-ie-10-a.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I was in sound settings today, and this setting was selected

I have no recollection of setting it to this. I know for a fact from working on other computers, the default is set to "Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%"

Is it possible this setting changed on it's own? maybe I did it by mistake, im just curious 

A:Has in been known for windows 8 settings to change on their own?

Hi theo19 I'm not aware of this issue, but these two threads on SuperUser could provide part of the answer.https://superuser.com/questions/504004/windows-8-turns-program-sound-volume-down-randomlyhttps://superuser.com/questions/74116/windows-7-lowers-applications-volume-automaticallyMy guess is that a third-party program could have caused this, or even yourself without even knowing: by checking or setting a random option that also affected this one. I suggest you to set it back to default (80% like you say), and then wait a few days and see if it changes back to "Do Nothing".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576969/has-in-been-known-for-windows-8-settings-to-change-on-their-own/
Relevancy 55.04%

my computer keeps going into hibernation after a little bit, where in windows xp is where I can change how long before it goes into hibernation?

Help

Thanks

A:windows xp change some settings

Right click your desktop.
Goto properties.
Screen saver tab.
Click on power.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-change-some-settings.356583/
Relevancy 55.04%

First off I want to mention that when I viewed your quot Please read here first BEFORE posting for help in this forum quot I had a problem when clicking on the link that was supposed to take me to Hijackthis download I had to find the download at another site-- I am using Windows XP Pro The other day I started my pc and I noticed that the appearance of my desktop had changed The main thing that I noticed was that the color of the bar across the bottom of the screen was a different color I went into the control panel and started to change the appearance back to what I had been using I wasn t really themselves change by settings Windows XP sure what the settings were before so I had to play around what different settings to get it back to MY NORMAL I couldn t seem to get it changed back to what I was used to having so I did a restore Windows XP settings change by themselves and that seemed to do the job However the next time that I started my pc I was back to the same problem At that point I just changed what I could in the control panel display and went about my business with working on the pc Then I started to notice that there were OTHER problems I looked as though my quot SETTINGS quot in WORD and OUTLOOK had changed as well as the appearance of my desk top So I did another restore to an earlier date---NO CHANGE I could not get my old settings back even though I used an earlier date A few days later I noticed another quirk I left the computer on over night which I normally do not do and in the morning my screen saver changed from my pictures slide show to windows XP default ALSO my desktop picture has been changed to a solid blue background I have Trend Micro Internet Security so I ran a full scan see attached file Some files were quarantined and one was deleted Everything seems to be working okay at this time except for the appearance part I don t seem to have the option of changing it back to my old appearance At this point I would like to make sure that I don t have any other problems Here is the Hijackthis log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Trend Micro BM TMBMSRV exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Linksys Bluetooth Utility bin btwdins exe C PROGRA Iomega System AppServices exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C WINDOWS system HPZipm exe C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security SfCtlCom exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security TmPfw exe C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security UfSeAgnt exe C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security TmProxy exe C Program Files Iomega AutoDisk ADService exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS system WDBtnMgr exe C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program backWeb- exe C Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files Linksys Bluetooth Utility BTTray exe C Program Files My Book WD Backup uBBMonitor exe C PROGRA Linksys BLUETO BTSTAC EXE C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exe c program files internet explorer iexplore exe c program files internet explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Skype Toolbars Shared SkypeNames exe c program files internet explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Star... Read more

A:Windows XP settings change by themselves

Now--since I performed a Trend Micro scan the desk top and screen saver settings have been okay.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-settings-change-by-themselves.926117/
Relevancy 54.61%

hi guys
i got windows xp
i got problem in starting at DOS starting
i can,t enter to the windows until i pass this message
some of hardware abnormal press any key to contniue

in this time the speaker of matherboard male a continue beeeb

beeeeeeeeeeb beeeeeeeeeeeeb beeeeeeeeeeeeb

plz helpe me

A:how can i solve this message

Its telling you that there is a failure of a component, or something is not correctly connected, inside your PC.

The "beeping" pattern can usually tell just whats wrong.

Look for the beep codes here:

http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-solve-this-message.180403/
Relevancy 54.18%

Just posting as a warning to others and to vent update A settings update reset? windows to caused my annoyance a bit I always set up my Windows update settings to quot check and notify but don't download and install unless I tell you to quot to prevent HDD thrashing performance downgrading at the A update caused windows update settings to reset? worst possible times and annoying quot oh you need to restart quot notifications All working fine but yesterday I notice some random and annoying HDD thrashing bit later on the windows update restart notification wants to restart the computer what It turns out my update settings had been reset to quot automatically download and install recommended quot without my knowledge and express permission I was not amused And no nobody else but me has access to the computer much less someone who knows from where the windows update settings can be modified And I doubt any malware virus would be interested in keeping my windows up to date automatically Don't know what exact update caused it but I know I will disable all windows updates if this happens again

A:A update caused windows update settings to reset?

Quote: Originally Posted by hexaq

but I know I will disable all windows updates if this happens again.

Your'e over-reacting a bit, don't you think? I would hazard a guess and say your system isn't behaving any worse then it was before, and its more secure now

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/293681-update-caused-windows-update-settings-reset.html
Relevancy 54.18%

this is one of those Windows and Windows now quot features quot that drives me and a lot of other people nuts Why is it that I get different quot answers quot different results different behavior from the Control Panel quot Windows Update quot utility vs the PC Settings quot Windows Update quot utility And why does the latter throw an error when I press the Windows Key dumb I look in Control Panel Windows Update and for instance will have quot ready to install quot a few updates - nice clean ready to go I look in the Windows multi-step slow cumbersome Windows Update and I have quot check now quot hit the check now button spin spin spin may or may not get a response Pressing the Windows Key to return to the relative tranquility of my desktop and it throws an error from 'Microsoft Visual C Runtime Library' quot Runtime Error Program C Windows ImmersiveControlPanel SystemSettings exe quot This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way Please contact the application's support team for more information quot

A:PC Settings/Update not-equal-to C.Panel/Windows Update

Originally Posted by cognus

this is one of those Windows 8 [and Windows 10 now] "features" that drives me and a lot of other people nuts.
Why is it that I get different "answers", different results, different behavior, from the Control Panel "Windows Update" utility vs the PC Settings "Windows Update" utility? [And why does the latter throw an error when I press the Windows Key?] ?

dumb... I look in Control Panel/Windows Update and, for instance, will have "ready to install" a few updates - nice, clean, ready to go. I look in the Windows 8 [multi-step, slow, cumbersome] Windows Update and I have "check now"... hit the check now button, spin/spin/spin, may or may not get a response. Pressing the Windows Key to return to the relative tranquility of my desktop and it throws an error from 'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library' "Runtime Error Program: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe" This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I prefer the control panel versions too, just right click action center flag icon choose Open Windows Update and away we go. What nerves me with the immersive version is looking at the history, it's much easier to read in the control panel version. I guess that's why the registry hack came out so quick in 10TP.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/62384-pc-settings-update-not-equal-c-panel-windows-update.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Update - Fixed by reinstalling Windows fresh Again I think the problem was caused by installing Windows linked with my Microsoft account and then switching that to a local user My Microsoft account was registered for the insider program so perhaps I was receiving the fast updates and switching to a local account put me on slow updates which got Windows Update muddled in the confusion Original Post Windows Update appears to load Security Update Update Settings does & Windows - > not > be stuck broken It displays this loading animation even when left alone for an entire day See screenshot All the other panels such as Windows Defender will display their available options it is only Windows Update that will not show This is a clean install of Windows Home I have made some alterations to the service configuration disabling what I had been advised as unnecessary services I have reverted as many of those changes as I could remember but it is a possibility that one of those changes caused this Background Intelligent Transfer service is quot Running quot and set to quot Automatic Delayed Start quot Windows Update service is quot Running quot and set to quot Manual Trigger Start quot Aug - Edit I have cross referenced services with another computer with an unaltered fresh install of Windows Home No difference in service configuration was found Internet connectivity is stable Network profile is quot Public Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load quot No alterations have been made to the default network configuration User account was originally associated with Microsoft Account but was then switched to be a Local Account Have run sfc scannow which found and fixed Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load some problems Running sfc scannow a second time reported no problems Running the Windows Update Troubleshooter through Troubleshooting - gt Fix problems with Windows Update yields no results quot Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem quot Have deleted contents of C Windows SoftwareDistribution Download Have also re-initiated the C Windows SoftwareDistribution folder Have ran command quot Dism Online Cleanup-Image RestoreHealth quot which reports no errors Have ran command quot Dism Online Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load Cleanup-Image StartComponentCleanup ResetBase quot Have ran the fix-it from https support microsoft com en-us kb which reports quot Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem quot Cross-posting this from my question on Microsoft Answers which unfortunately did not garner much attention so I'm trying on these forums Aug Edit Checking installed updates I do not have KB or KB Manually downloaded and installed both of these updates Did not fix the issue

A:Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load

Hi wadlip,

I have done exactly the same fixes as you - to no avail. Nothing works. I am surprised by a lack of response by Microsoft. In addition to not being able to update, i cannot update the definitions for Windows Defender. This issue has definitely something to do with BITS.
If i stumble over the solution, i'll post here. I have all night to find the fix

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/13754-settings-update-security-windows-update-does-not-load.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Error code 0x80070454

As I began navigating myself through the steps of the 'Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help' I got to step five and this is the message I received when I tried to turn on my firewall. Now I'm afraid to proceed with the rest of the steps and I'm getting overwhelmed. My avast antivirus program keeps telling me its blocking malware and stopping trojans and now I'm worried my computer is infected with some terrible malware.

What do I do now?

A:Windows Firewall canít change some of your settings

DownloadTDSSkillerLaunch it.Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file systemClick on "Scan".Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive) Do not change the default options on scan resultsDownloadaswMBRLaunch it, allow it to download latest Avast! virus definitionsClick the "Scan" button to start scan.After scan finishes,click on Save logPost the log results hereDownloadESET online scannerInstall itClick on START,it should download the virus definitionsWhen scan gets completed,click on LIST of found threatsExport the list to desktop,copy the contents of the text file in your reply

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/467733/windows-firewall-cant-change-some-of-your-settings/
Relevancy 54.18%

I find that Windows 7 automatically saves downloaded files wherever it warts to.
I want to change that to make Windows 7 ask me BEFORE it starts to download where it is I want it placed.

Thank you

A:How to change settings to get Windows 7 to ask me before downloading?

If I'm understanding your question, you'd like to be able to select where your downloads get saved. I think these two tutorials (one for Internet Explorer and one for Firefox) should help. You can permanently pick a new download location of your choosing (like the desktop) or select a location for each individual download.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-location.html

Firefox - Change Default Download Save To Location

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/245113-how-change-settings-get-windows-7-ask-me-before-downloading.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I'm really facing a problem on my Father's Windows XP PC.

Most of the time when I want to browse the Internet, I have to go to the LAN settings, and unders Proxy server, I have to manually enter the Address and Port, since when I retart the machine for example, those settings are changed and also the default homepage is changed.

There is a virus called commandos.exe on the machine, may it be causing this problem?

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks.

Relevancy 54.18%

Hello,

I want to change the settings of Windows explorer to open in a specific folder. I can do this for the shortcut under Programs>Accessories> Windows Explorer.

But doing so does not affect the settings of Windows Explorer when I invoke it with the keyboard shortcut : "Windows-Key + E"

Amit.

A:Change settings for Windows Explorer

no it wont because the keyboard shortcut opens explorer directly it doesnt go through the shortcut route you have edited. Im assuming windows has its own macro for this combination i have no idea how you would edit it , maybe somebody else could help

i think you will be able to do it with third party software like auto hotkey and then write your own macro , although i think you'll probably have to map it to a differant key combination

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/227809-change-settings-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 54.18%

hi i have a netbook windows 7 starter n i want to upgrade for home premium if possible, butt i think im stuck at a part, when i saw the manufactured settings i dont know what this is, when im about to format my disk n install home premium, does it go back to starter when my computer goes wrong n i have to a system restore? or can i change the restore setting to home premium in the manufactured settings?
thank you for your response

A:Possible to change manufactured settings on windows 7?

Hi,

What you can do is go one step better : after upgrading to Home Premium, image your new installation to an external drive. If you ever need to "refresh" the netbook if something goes wrong, you simply restore the image you made. Its very easy to do.

Use this to do that:

Imaging with free Macrium

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/247090-possible-change-manufactured-settings-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi Friends, I have a problem with my system insisting on booting in safe mode. Here is what I have done thus far

msconfig boot...removed safe mode from boot tab and chose normal start, restarted and it boots in safe mode with the info in msconfig back to safe mode etc, I try to access change pc settings but with no success, I shut down last night as normal and this morning it boots in safe mode..... I wonder if Mr Gates has a contract to rally clients for psychiatric assessment. ?

iknownuffin70 (my handle says it all.)

A:Windows 8.1 will not let me access change pc settings.

Hello Phil,

For now, double check using the tutorial below to see if one of the options in it to boot back to normal mode may help you to do so.

Safe Mode - Start Windows 8 in

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56968-windows-8-1-will-not-let-me-access-change-pc-settings.html
Relevancy 54.18%

hi people!!!!  if you reinstall windows, does it change your settings?or do you have the same ones. i'm having boatloadsof many daysworth of trouble. anybody have a life preserver? Edit: Moved topic from Networking to the more appropriate forum. I assumed the OS in question was XP based on previous posts ~ Animal

A:if you reinstall windows, does it change your settings?

Yes if you reinstall the OS(Windows Operating System) it's like going back to default right out of the box. No OS = No known settings.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518811/if-you-reinstall-windows-does-it-change-your-settings/
Relevancy 54.18%

Windows firewall error.
Error code 0x80070424.
Operating system Windows 7 Home basic.
Please assist.

A:Windows firewall cannot change settings

Preparing for the malware removal process

While a description of the trouble you're having is of help, we need more information. A comprehensive set of logs is required to determine the presence of malware.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/windows-firewall-cannot-change-settings-696288.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop with the DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card, Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter, and Microsoft
Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. It used to either stay connected to my router or connect immediately. Now when I close the lid for even a short time, I have to click connect to reconnect to the router and it takes up to 30 seconds to connect. Any ideas what may have changed or what I need to do to fix it?

A:How do I change WiFi settings in Windows 7

Try to restore defaults of Power Plan.
Option 1 - Power Plan - Restore Default Settings

If not, try re-installing its drivers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/380561-how-do-i-change-wifi-settings-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop with the DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card, Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter, and Microsoft
Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. It used to either stay connected to my router or connect immediately. Now when I close the lid for even a short time, I have to click connect to reconnect to the router and it takes up to 30 seconds to connect. Any ideas what may have changed or what I need to do to fix it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/380561-how-do-i-change-wifi-settings-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 54.18%

First backup was run successfully with Wizard now can not change backup settings for the source or destination devices, backup will only re-run with the original configuration.
Tried procedure from Microsoft.com to change settings  for Backup - Restore using the Control Panel, no help.
Backup does not recognize the 'Change Settings' command; Is this a known issue, any suggestions?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
April 11, Modified (edit)
This is a multi-drive system, user was trying to create a (source) backup from the non-system [d:] drive. The strategy was to backup the c: and d: drives to each other but it appears backup is preset to backup the system drive only.
Windows change setting supports the destination device only, is that correct?

A:Can not change settings for Windows 7 backup

Did you refer the following website? If you click “Change settings” button in Backup and Restore, you will be able to change the location. Why do you that the location is not changed? Please let us know detail symptom.
If the drive you would like to select does not exists in the list, you may click the link “Guidelines for choosing backup destination” to get more helps. Arthur Xie - MSFT

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/49941f30-6954-45cd-a8a3-71994b66bada/can-not-change-settings-for-windows-7-backup?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 54.18%

I had a problem with xfinity constant guard ..... I called them and they gave a removal tool because I couldn't uninstall it myself. It worked but I was still left with ...."due to an unidentified problem windows firewall settings cannot be changed.......

A:Cannot change settings in windows firewall

Hi and welcome to TSF have you run sfc /scannow How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-change-settings-in-windows-firewall-681797.html
Relevancy 54.18%

My son recently tried to install a pirated copy of some video game called The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion onto my computer. Needless to say it didn't work quite as he hoped. Not only was the game not compatible with my PC, but even now that its uninstalled, Windows 7 is telling me there is a problem with it.

The action center tells me there is a problem with that needs to be addressed with the game, but when it tries to solve the problem or even find out what the problem is, it fails.

Any ideas on what may be the problem?

A:Can't SOLVE PC ISSUE MESSAGE!!!!

dont install pirated software the only thing you can do is uninstall the program from the control panel->uninstall

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/52806-cant-solve-pc-issue-message.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello!!!

my name is Silvestre from Angola,,, i have a laptop INSPIRON 1525 with vista home premium, i have to browsers Firefox and Explorer 8...

In last days always i logon my windows they show me this messages: "FAILED TO SET DATA FOR SAVEZONE INFORMATION"

Please is important for me cos i like my pc good,,,, if sameone have this solutions sent to me urgent... my email: [email protected]
Regards!!!!
"SILVESTRE

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/237096-error-message-important.html
Relevancy 53.75%

As an IT manager, consultant, and technician, I am increasingly frustrated with the severity of issues being created by what is obviously a product that is not ready for general release to the public.

Please downgrade the Type rating for IE8 from 'important' to 'optional', so that my staff, our clients, and our business can disregard IE8, until such time as Microsoft corrects the issues with IE8.

You wouldn't buy a car that breaks down everytime you turn on the ignition. Why would Microsoft push IE8 when it is defective to begin with?

Company policy for our business is to remove all IE8 products, revert to IE7 for the moment until we consider moving to another browser.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/change-ie8-type-rating-from-important-to-optional-406633.html
Relevancy 53.75%

These release notes address critical late-breaking issues and information about this beta release of the Windows operating system For less serious issues refer to Things to Know About This Beta Release of Windows Download details Release Beta Release Important This 7 Windows Notes: Release of in Issues Documents for this Beta Release of Windows Unless otherwise specified these notes apply to all editions of Windows that support the features mentioned in each note Accessibility Microsoft Narrator does not read information from the command line properly This issue may also affect non-Microsoft screen reader applications To correct this always run the command prompt with administrator privileges Apple iTunes font This issue only Release Notes: Important Issues in This Beta Release of Windows 7 applies to -bit editions of Windows If you attempt to download and install Apple iTunes the -bit version will be installed instead of the -bit version This will prevent syncing with iPhone To avoid this install the -bit version from the following location iTunes for Windows Vista -bit Backup font When you attempt to restore files backed up from a Windows computer to a Windows Vista computer using the Restore wizard on the Windows Vista computer the restoration fails To work around this in the location where the backup file is stored locate the Mediaid bin file which is in inside a directory that has the same Release Notes: Important Issues in This Beta Release of Windows 7 name as Release Notes: Important Issues in This Beta Release of Windows 7 the computer Move the Mediaid bin file up one level so that it is at the same level as the directory with the same name as the computer but not inside it If you attempt to use a system image backup as a restore point System Restore will stop responding To avoid this do not choose system image backup as a restore point To ensure that you are not using a system image backup in the System Restore wizard check the Type column and confirm that the backup type is something other than Backup If this has already occurred restart System Restore and attempt to restore from another restore point that is not a system image backup If you create a system image backup using the Windows Backup wizard you will not be able to use this backup to restore to any new hardware Similarly if you change the disk layout of the computer after taking the backup you will not be able to reimage the computer using the backup To avoid this use Create a system image in the Backup and Restore control panel if available in the edition you are using to create the system image backup instead of the Windows Backup wizard If this has already occurred there is no workaround other than to mount a virtual hard disk for the latest backup and attempt to retrieve user data from it BitLocker Drive Encryption font BitLocker Drive Encryption is not supported on drives that use the extended file allocation table exFAT file system Use BitLocker Drive Encryption with drives formatted with FAT or FAT instead DirectAccess font In certain editions of Windows configuring the Name Resolution Policy Table for DirectAccess can cause the computer to stop responding and repeatedly restart If this occurs the user can recover by restarting the computer in Safe Mode without Networking and then using Regedit exe to delete the Name Resolution Policy table in the following registry key HKLM SOFTWARE Policies Microsoft Windows NT DNSClient DnsPolicyConfig The system administrators should then delete the affected computer from the Group Policy object the provides the Name Resolution Policy table to prevent the settings from interfering with the workaround the user has just performed Internet Explorer font If you attempt to print a PDF document from the browser using the Adobe Reader plug-in the operation fails To avoid this save the PDF document to disk and then open and print it using the standalone Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat or any application capable of viewing an... Read more

A:Release Notes: Important Issues in This Beta Release of Windows 7

Thanks DA,

Excelent post

Everyone should read this info so have made thread sticky

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/4318-release-notes-important-issues-beta-release-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi,
Why do we get the option "Windows Updates. Important updates are available. Go to PC settings to install them" on the logon screen? Need to remove this option but without altering the update functionality. We are using SCCM for windows update.
Can you help how to remove it by GPO or any other option for large scale systems (5000+). At present the user cannot install the updates as it has been restricted. Attached the screen shot also.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f591fd1f-9b4b-484a-844f-cc26d2ec2161/reasons-for-quot-windows-updates-important-updates-are-available-go-to-pc-settings-to-install?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello, does anyone know who to run a DOS command or regedit command to set the taskbar settings.
We have over 100 grocery stores with about 6 servers in each store. Each store might have something different in taskbar settings. I want to run a command to set on or off certian commands.
Example we dont show the time in the task tray, so instead of logging into each store and setting it by had start \ settings \ taskbar and start menu, and removing the checkmark, I simple want to run a script to do this.

Thanks.

A:DOS command to change windows taskbar settings

If they are all connected to a Domain, you can push down a group policy.

User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Start Menu and Taskbar->Remove Clock from the system notification area - set this policy to disable.

It is possible to do this with the registry as well but Group Policy is the easiest in a domani environment.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dos-command-to-change-windows-taskbar-settings.878418/
Relevancy 53.75%

hi, i want to add port using "Exceptions" tab in "change settings" of windows firewall. but "change settings" button is grayed out.( i log in as admin and my windows is 7)

i read all the answered about this topic that mentioned already in this forum but i could not find my answer.

thanks, please help me

A:change settings in windows firewall is grayed out

Quote: Originally Posted by ep1980

hi, i want to add port using "Exceptions" tab in "change settings" of windows firewall. but "change settings" button is grayed out.( i log in as admin and my windows is 7)

i read all the answered about this topic that mentioned already in this forum but i could not find my answer.

thanks, please help me

post a screenshot please so I can see which window your talking about

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/265626-change-settings-windows-firewall-grayed-out.html
Relevancy 53.75%

no matter what i choose arrange by album, artist or whatever it just keeps arranging it by folder and not only in the music library but in all the libraries
i tries to create another user but the problem wasn't resolved
i'm using windows 7 x64 build 7600 version 6.1

thanks for your time

A:can't change arrange by settings in windows 7 libraries

I have the same issue as you and they told me to perform a clean install of windows 7 which erases EVERYTHING... You might be able to do that but I can't because I don't have an external hdd to backup my files onto.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/64730-cant-change-arrange-settings-windows-7-libraries.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi,

I have Windows 8.1 and I am currently having trouble changing my desktop background. It used to work perfectly, but now it's set on one specific image (one of my own images) and I can't change it, nor can I change any of the background settings or set a default image or anything.

I haven't been able to find any good advice via google because I can only find about 3-4 sites that address this issues for Windows 8, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

A:Cannot change desktop background settings on Windows 8.1

Hello Tom, and welcome to Eight Forums.

For now, double check using the tutorial below to make sure that a desktop background hasn't been specified for all users preventing it from being changed.

Desktop Background - Specify and Prevent Change - Windows 7 Help Forums

If that's not the issue, then please go ahead and post some screenshots showing what you are seeing instead to see if it may help to ID what it may be.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/62830-cannot-change-desktop-background-settings-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a problem with my Windows 8 OS. I purchased dell inspiron 15r special edition. It had a preloaded windows 8. I made a clean install of my pro edition. I have a problem, I am unable to change automatic updates settings in windows 8. I have a local account type. Also my account is in administrators group. Moreover automatic updates are also causing problems so I wanted to change this settings. After selecting my option regarding how the updates should be done(ie. whether manually or auto), When I click on OK button nothing seems to happens.
Why can't I change automatic update settings despite being the admin?
Thanks,
P

SOLUTION:
Go here for solution: Can't create user accounts despite being admin!

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/26375-why-cant-i-change-automatic-updates-settings-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 53.75%

For stability and security reasons I can't use the 7 S1)? sleep settings(S3 How to do I change Windows state standby sleep S S or hybrid states for this PC I need to try if S would solve the problems but I don't know how to change switch to S sleep state PC does support S from the reports below and in bios there is nothing in regards to S S closest things would be C C etc which are enabled Fresh install of Windows Ultimate x and the latest drivers Intel K Asus P Z -V Pro GB ram SSD AMD x sound card quot powercfg energy quot energy-report html S Sleep Supported true S Sleep Supported false S Sleep Supported true S Sleep Supported true quot powercfg a quot C Users user gt powercfg a The following How do I change Windows 7 sleep state settings(S3 to S1)? sleep states are available on this system Standby S S Hiber nate Hybrid Sleep The following sleep states are not available on this system Standby S The system firmware does not support this standby state

A:How do I change Windows 7 sleep state settings(S3 to S1)?

Hello and welcome to the forum

I've seen this issue before and I don't know if there is a way to change the default Windows sleep state from S3 to S1.
I've never had a MB with the newer UEFI bios.
Also, never had one that enabled S1 and S3 without the option to choose one or the other.

I also would like to know if anyone has found an solution for this... registry tweek, etc.
I use Sleep and Hibernate all the time, and it's great when it works correctly.

I'm glad I don't have a MB/BIOS like this, and it just adds a requirement for me when choosing a new MB / Build.
From what I know Windows doesn't support changing the default state, and this BIOS doesn't allow selecting one for this MB...

@coffeetime
Is there a newer BIOS for your MB?
Maybe ask Asus about this, and refer them to this thread if that would help ?

You should be able to disable Hybrid Sleep in Windows Power Options / Advanced settings.
You should also be able to disable Hibernate (S4) in Windows with an elevated CMD powercfg.exe -h off
Hibernate - Enable or Disable

This won't solve your S1/S3 issue, but something you can try.
You could also try gathering a Sleep trace and see if one of the experts in the "Crashes and Debugging" sub-forum can help.
Gathering a Startup, Shutdown, Sleep, Hibernate, or Reboot Trace

Personally I don't like S1 sleep, and prefer using S4 hibernate (or turn the PC off) if S3 sleep doesn't work.
With S1 the fans run, more noise, more power used...

hope this helps,
David

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/235299-how-do-i-change-windows-7-sleep-state-settings-s3-s1.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Greetings I have been working with programs such as Blender d recently which conflict with my security settings I have been getting permission denied for saving files and doing other functions in these programs I found out how to disable the administrator setting by going in command prompt and typing quot net user administrator active no quot and how to keep the computer from constantly bringing up warnings asking me to allow a change to my computer by going in user account settings and sliding the slider to zero It seemed to be working untill I took the 7 security/permission change settings in windows cannot slider back up so that I could have some security enabled while on the internet and then even when I took the slider back down it was still the way it was before not letting me save my files on some programs and bringing up messages asking me to allow myself to run a program I had clicked on I tried bringing up the command prompt and re-disabling the administrator setting and also made sure the slider was down cannot change security/permission settings in windows 7 all the way to no effect I was trying to do a system restore to restore whatever is screwing this up but an error comes up everytime telling me it can't access a file possibly because of antivirus cannot change security/permission settings in windows 7 being on even though I already turned all the security features off Any way I could have missed something that I did right cannot change security/permission settings in windows 7 the first time but not the second Thanks

A:cannot change security/permission settings in windows 7

Right click => Properties => Security => Advanced => Owner => Take Ownership => Click your user name => Then Select the box that says "Replace Owners on subcontainers and objects"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-change-security-permission-settings-in-windows-7-a-462934.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I used to be able to choose color settings when I printed. I no longer can with Windows 10. this means that if my color cartridge is out of ink, I can't print. I used to be able to tell it to print grayscale only.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9afe4952-90a9-4601-b42f-442fd8db1682/cant-change-the-printer-color-settings-with-windows-10?forum=MTCWin8