Windows Support Forum

Portable Expansion Drive.

Q: Portable Expansion Drive.

Hi, I have a Seagate USB3 500GB Portable Expansion Drive to accommodate my Back-ups and also any files I wish to 'transport' to another PC. I would prefer to leave the device connected to my PC except when I need to transport files. Will leaving it connected do any harm; should it be removed when not in use?
The PC it is connected to is NOT permanently switched on; being 'live' only for a few hours each day when in use.
Thank you.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Portable Expansion Drive.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Portable Expansion Drive.

I leave an external hard drive connected all the time. To me it's no different than leaving a mouse or keyboard or printer always connected. In fact, I have an older computer running Windows XP. The external hard drive on that machine has been connected for about 6 years with no problems.
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi guys I am having a big problem you guys have to sort it out and tell me the what can i do to solve the problem The Drive Portable Seagate Expansion problem is I have seagate expansion portable drive of tb which worked fine for somedays but now i am got stuck with that bcoz when i connect my seagate drive to usb and green light goes on and a safely remove icon also Seagate Expansion Portable Drive coming but there is no drive in the my computer and disk management also When i searched some forums i got the same problem is having by others and got there a statement regarding to check whether drive is spinning or not after that i found my drive is not spinning and i thinking a way to make it spin and to get all data back to my lap And also i had checked with uvcview usb viewer by microsoft when i connected my drive it shows the drive and also some other descriptions which i dont know So you guys help me to make the drive works and to get my data back thanks in advance for your help guys nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

please help me.. I bought my external hard drive for about 8 month now.. it use 2.0 usb and i'm afraid i cannot recover my files inside it.

A:My 1Tb Seagate expansion portable cannot be detected by any computer

Ameq, Welcome to SevenForums. Sorry you're having issue with you external drive. When you connect the drive to your computer have you gone into Disk Management to see if the disk was showing up there? Does this drive require an external wall wart type power source or possibly need to have dual usb ports to power it?
Relevancy 55.9%

It is on a computer running XP SP Now it shows up in My Computer but with no statistics and I cannot open it The drive does not show up in Windows Disk Management I have gone thru the Seagate website s External Drive Trouble Shooter for WinDOWS xp as hard aborted worked a conversion expansion fine I until Seagate drive compressed to a drive well as contacting Seagate Support with no success I have tried Windows Format DOS Format Seatools for Windows HD LFF Low Level Format testdisk win and Disk Wizard with no success The drive showed up but they all reported failure in testing and or accessing the disk Seagate expansion hard drive worked fine until I aborted a conversion to a compressed drive Seatools for DOS sounds like it would do the trick but it didnotrecognizeeitherofmyexternaldrives theotheroneofwhichisworking Can anyone recommend a fix Seems to me that it is a software problem not a hardware problem so there should be a software solution I have very limited funds and Seagate expansion hard drive worked fine until I aborted a conversion to a compressed drive can t afford to replace the drive right now It is used as a backup drive so loss of the data on the drive is not an issue I ll just run another backup when the drive is restored to health My boot drive is not backed up on this drive so that is not a problem nbsp

A:Seagate expansion hard drive worked fine until I aborted a conversion to a compressed drive

Have you tried reinitializing the drive?
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a HP Pavillion a200n, windows XP

i installed a dvd rw drive afterwards the original cd rw drive is no longer being recognized by my computer. The cd rw drive was (E and the dvd rw drive was (F I switched the connector cable and the cd became (F and dvd became (E Either way only the DVD rw works. Can you help me?

A:original cd rw drive does not work after installing expansion dvd rw drive

You didn't mention the jumpers. How did you set them?
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi guys,
I just bought an Expansion Drive from Stapples which is Seagate 1TB :

How to use it in the best way, i mean the safest way for it like :
Should I copy and paste or cut my data frequently on it ?
Where should I place it ?
Should I unplug it's power source when i'm not using it ? or just leave it ?
Should I unplug it's USB cable from PC when not using it ?
Need advices.
Thanks Guys,

Relevancy 53.75%

Seagate's website the manual say the this MBR or Drive 5TB initialized not in Seagate Expansion OK? Drive GPT? one Desktop-Festplatte Expansion Seagate TB Expansion Drive is initialized in GPT Expansion drives switching to GPT but Windows and dispart http i imgur com JxRAja png show it is Seagate 5TB Expansion Drive not initialized in MBR or GPT? Drive OK? initialized in MBR not in GPT the column under GPT is empty The item to initialize in convert to GPT is grayed out I assume one have to remove the partition first to access that option http i imgur com xeqkQmJ png And it looks like as if MiniToolPartizionWizard shows it was GPT as well http i imgur com PsQfLY png What could that mean Is the display of Win diskpart correct Is this message correct DriveInfo shows S M A R T Drive Status Drive is not OK The device has detected a threshold exceeded condition http i imgur com xfPSq png What does that mean A defect a problem The entire report http i imgur com rySWvIt png http i imgur com qyquxVB png http i imgur com R bx s png ChystalDisk shows this does not appear to look that bad http i imgur com v TYPhZ png and http i imgur com z exc png SeaTools shows this http i imgur com ulGbCQ png HDDscan shows http i imgur com hlD pN png and http i imgur com UMRP GM png What do those items marked with that yellow sign mean quot Airflow temperature quot and quot HDA Temperatur quot A problem What does the display about quot Health quot mean instead of appear to mean the state of the drive is not the best anymore May be there will occur problems errors the next time

A:Seagate 5TB Expansion Drive not initialized in MBR or GPT? Drive OK?

everything is okay. delete the partition, initialize GPT. gute nacht.
Relevancy 53.32%

Can anybody Help Me !!

I have set up a Server type machine on a HP Touchsmart running Vista

I have purchased a Seagate 2TB Expansion Drive with its own power source

I desperately want to know how this external drive can be seen by other devices on the network

I have other external drives with their own power supply and non of them can be accessed by other computers on the network....Is there a trick to these devices!!!

I have external hard drives with NO power supply just USB connection and I can access them from any computer on the network and any media device on the network

Anyone please I have spent days trying to work this out

A:Expansion Drive on the network

I think I have worked it out!!

Its need to plug into the router this right!!
Relevancy 53.32%

I bought a Seagate Expansion 5TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive.
Not that it's really relevant to explain that other than to illustrate how important it is that I don't blow the thing up, but I bought it to create a disk image in Macrium Reflect Home Edition v6 (which I did), in preparation for upgrading from Win7 to Win10, just in case things go very badly when I do that.
But I notice that when it's plugged in and I right-click on it in Windows Explorer, no "Eject" option appears in the drop-down menu.
So I just unplugged it.
Is "Eject" just not appearing because an expansion drive is made in such a way that no preparation is needed before safely unplugging it?
Or am I risking data loss or worse by unplugging it without preparation?

A:Don't need to eject an expansion drive?

Down in your tray near the clock should be a "Safely Remove Hardware" button, clicking it should give a list of items you want to unplug from your system. Once hit to unplug/disconnect an item, the notice of "It is now safe to unplug {nameofitem} from your computer" will appear allowing you to safely unplug the drive
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a 3g usb seagate expansion drive that is about 3 mths old. It has frequently disappeared from my computer. I would have to reboot and disconnect the power from the drive to get it to come back.

Is this a sign of a bad drive or just a glitch that some kind of a driver update will solve.

In the same system I have a 6g WD drive that works flawless.

A:seagate expansion drive

Hello again, Datman I have onlya few suggestions.
1. download and install the latest chipset drivers from your motherboards/manufacturers web site
2. Run Seagate's diagnostic tool, SeaTools.
3. See if tis tutorial will help. USB Driver - General Fix for Problems
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey All!

I have an old hard drive in a pretty old computer that im trying to put into my brothers computer for extra space for schooling. The problem is that I dont think it has jumpers to indicate slave or master so basically, is there any way i can add this hard drive to my bro's PC without having to do all that or taking out his old hard drive? Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Relevancy 53.32%

My expansion drive used to show up in - My Computer - as drive K. Now it doesnt show it at all. Any thoughts?

Relevancy 52.89%

The patient A new-to-me p with slice battery nbsp Win x Pro a fresh install by seller including HP drivers and the BIOS looks fresh System works great and runs a DVD in a standalone USB box just fine nbsp I then purchased a like-new expansion base the newer version with e-sata and DisplayPort ports on back Docking appears to work with power charging and USB port functions routed through the dock working fine DVD not recognized Expansion base drive Latching is secure all the right lamps illuminate etc nbsp Expansion base DVD drive not recognized Problem the Elitebook will not recognize or play the integral DVD drive in the expansion base A disk placed in the drive will spin up brefly the drive's LED lights - sec only No sign of the device being detected in Win Ironically once or twice it somehow played a little enough to bring up VLC Player But of the time no detection no play nbsp Troubleshooting to date Lots of reboots and redocking Expansion base DVD drive not recognized Removing the slice battery from being sandwiched between the base and the Elitebook had no effect nbsp I then pulled the DVD drive out of the base via the screw under the rubber bumper in the middle of the base Contrary to HP's expasion base specs amp documentation it is not a PATA but a slimline-SATA drive ultra thin mm I then bought a dedicated slimeline SATA-to-USB adapter cable on ebay on it the pulled DVD drive works fine both on the Elitebook and another laptop nbsp So it's not the drive itself I then surfed through the setup BIOS settings and didn't see anything relevant to the DVD or the dock nbsp Tonight I have even carefully examined connectors on the dock looking for wayward foreign items or crud nbsp
Relevancy 52.89%

I couldve sworn I posted this act disappearing Expansion drive 3TB Seagate does question over a month ago but I cant find it anywhere Not surprising I dont 3TB Seagate Expansion drive does disappearing act remember where I parked my car I might have posted it to airheads us com for all I 3TB Seagate Expansion drive does disappearing act know I have several Seagate TB STBV Desktop Expansion drives I realize this question might be better suited for the Seagate support forums but 3TB Seagate Expansion drive does disappearing act I get this weird message when i try to login Login Error your attempt using single sign on with an identity provider certificate has failed Please contact your salesforce com administrator for more information I have absolutely no idea what any of that could possibly mean But that is neither here or there Its just that I am becoming desperate and Im hoping the huge wealth of knowledge here in sevenforums might offer some assistance The drive has been working fine for over a year just a little longer than the warranty of course Suddenly it disappears from the drives listed in Win Pro I have tried switching out the data and power cables and USB ports and tried this on different Win computers When it powers on the blue activity light comes on as it should and I can hear it spin up Within a couple of minutes the light goes off and it spins down During this period Win does not see it at all Both the data and power ports seems physically stable from what I can tell from simple observation I have not taken it apart yet If anyone could offer any suggestions on what my next step should be I would be extremely appreciative Thank you I mean no disrespect by posting here instead of Segate I opened a ticket with them regarding the login error but they have have not responded

A:3TB Seagate Expansion drive does disappearing act

Has the data on there been backed up? And after its disconnected and plugged back in does it turn back on but then off again
Relevancy 52.89%

Until a day or so ago, my Seagate expansion drive was showing all the folders (approx 100Gb in total) - but now its still showing just a couple of documents - the files are still there as i can run a virus scan of them but can't see them! I have unhidden all the files as per most online instructions but am stumped - any help welcome!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2467M CPU @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3946 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1845 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 228695 MB, Free - 186660 MB; D: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 356230 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Aspire S3
Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled
Relevancy 52.89%

I recently purchased a brand new Dell T3500 Precision Workstation. My existing internal 3.5" HD is fine. I have an external USB HD plugged into an internal USB port and mounted inside the chassis. I find it is not large enough for my needs. I want to get a new HD, internal or otherwise, to replace it. My computer has space for another 3.5" HD with SATA interface. Would that suffice if I got another 3.5" SATA HD? IF not, I have an eSATA port on the rear panel of my would I use that for my needs?

Ultimate goal: second hard drive of 250 gb or more...preferably internal.

Relevancy 52.89%

we have one of these for the Smart TV - which works great for that, but I thought I would be able to take it to my computer and copy my photos onto it. I have plugged it into my computer but am unable to see it as a drive - any ideas why?

Relevancy 52.89%

I have a seagate external drive st310005exm101-rk. Am attempting to connect via USB2 to computer running Windows98 to migrate data to new system. The device manager shows that it has been detected but I can still not access it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Relevancy 52.03%

Can anybody Help Me !!

I have set up a Server type machine on a HP Touchsmart running Vista

I have purchased a Seagate 2TB Expansion Drive with its own power source

I desperately want to know how this external drive can be seen by other devices on the network

I have other external drives with their own power supply and non of them can be accessed by other computers on the network....Is there a trick to these devices!!!

I have external hard drives with NO power supply just USB connection and I can access them from any computer on the network and any media device on the network

I'm not very technical and would like to know if its just the type of device and I should be buying usb connected hard drives for music and movies

A:External Expansion Drive with own power supply

You need a router that has a USB connection. Then you can connect the external storage to the network. That is only for a USB drive though. Do you have one of those passport drives with a battery?
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi I'm new to the forum so please bear with me So I've been using my external hard drive for over a year to store music and photos it has a GB capacity But recently when I've plugged my hard drive in it's not showing under my computer or if it does show it wont open and I keep getting an error message Is there any other way I can go about searching for it on my laptop I don't know if it's my laptop or my hard drive that has the problem and really need some help recognised Seagate with Expansion Drive problem not please The only other laptop I have available is a Mac which i cannot use to open the hard drive unless I format it which means losing my data so i really don't want to do that EDIT i've followed the troubleshooting on the seagate website and discovered that my hard drive partition is RAW is there a way i can change this

A:problem with Seagate Expansion Drive not recognised

Run Partition Wizard free's - Partition Recovery Wizard with a Quick Scan, then take a screenshot of the results and post here, quit/exit out of wizard and remove your external until further instructions from an expert.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a perplexing problem. I have a Seagate 2TB external drive that when I plug it into my USB3 port it appears in Explorer and sometimes I can even navigate through some of its folders. However after 2-5 minutes it just disappears and a message comes up "USB Not recognized".
When I insert it into a USB2 port I cannot see anything. Whilst it is visible I can see it in my Disk Management but as soon as it disconnects itself this disappears. I have tried to format it but it does not stay connected for long enough!
I am running Windows 10. The same problem seems to also occur on a windows 8 machine.
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a 320GB Seagate Expansion Drive which worked fine for several months, but in the last week or so the only way I could get it to register on my computer was to push the USB plug into the port on the unit very firmly. This sometimes caused the drive to work for a while, but then later ceased to work when I let go. So, I decided to tape it place very tightly. Wrong move! The whole USB port came loose from the mother board! Is it possible to have this fixed? I have a lot of stuff on the drive I don't want to lose!!!

A:USB port loose from Seagate Expansion Drive

I'm not entirely clear on what you are describing. Are you calling an external hard drive and "expansion drive" or is the "expansion drive" a drive physically mounted in a chassis? An external hard drive doesn't have a motherboard.

If the USB port came loose on an external drive enclosure adapter you could remove the drive from the present enclosure and install it in a new enclosure if the external drive is an IDE drive or a standard SATA drive.

Posting a picture may help decipher exactly what you are describing.
Relevancy 52.03%

My Seagate Expansion drive is not being recognized on my laptop or any other computer that I have tried to put it on. It worked for a while

It is fairly new and I have about 500gb on it so far and I don't want to lose any of my data because most of it is my university files.

I don't know why this is happening and I also can't even change the drive letter, I really don't know much about computers but this forum seems to help people, hope someone can help me Please.
Thank you.

A:Seagate 1TB Expansion Drive is not being recognized on my laptop

Hi furstyear, Welcome to SevenFoeums.( I missed it. )

Please go through this troubleshooter and check whether it helps. Seagate Technology
Relevancy 52.03%

I got my new Seagate 2 TB Expansion Drive and made the first image of my new laptop (running Win 10 anniversary build) using Macrium Reflect. All went well, and I closed Macrium, then attempted to eject the external drive from the notification area. I consistently got an error message saying the drive could not be ejected and until the program using it was closed. Task Manager confirmed no application was running. Device Manager could not remove the drive, either. Shutting down the computer and then removing the drive was no problem, but surely this shouldn't be necessary. Any advice would be welcome!

A:Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive

Welcome to the forum anything that's connected to the drive can do this explorer or even word that may have file history open
Relevancy 51.6%

Ok, something weird is going wrong with a seagate drive I bought for my girlfriend. Its working perfectly fine on my computer, and it did initially show up on her laptop too. However, her laptop froze up completely and it had to be shut down via the button while it was plugged into the laptop. Now it doesnt turn up in My Computer, but only on her computer. Its present under devices, but nowhere else. Any help would be greatly appreciated and Id be happy to give any more details anyone might need to help me out. Thanks in advance.

A:Problem with a 500GB Seagate expansion external drive

Try this How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers
Relevancy 51.6%

Howdy I bought a new computer with Win about a month ago which came with a TB Seagate hard Expansion Seagate showing up Drive in Computer' External not New 'My drive installed so I decided to replace my previous GB Aulartek External with a TB Seagate External Drive Well to make a long story short I tried installing the new Seagate TB Expansion Drive a few hours ago but up to this point I can't get the computer to recognize it However there is a 'green light' visible on the end of the new Seagate External that is lit up and if I click on New Seagate Expansion External Drive not showing up in 'My Computer' the 'Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media' button on the taskbar it does show something called 'Eject Desktop' under 'Open Devices and Printers' I tried going to the Seagate Community Forum but got even more confused than when I started trying to troubleshoot my problem with not being New Seagate Expansion External Drive not showing up in 'My Computer' able to see it listed under 'Computer' My old Aulartek External had an 'on and off switch' and this new Seagate doesn't have one unless I just can't find it I have both the USB and A C Power supply plugged in Any help would be appreciated Thanks and regards harts ever New Seagate Expansion External Drive not showing up in 'My Computer'

A:New Seagate Expansion External Drive not showing up in 'My Computer'

Try right clicking on computer in the start menu, and select manage. In the window that opens after giving admin approval, selece disk management in the left column. It should show every hard drive connected to your computer. In the lower portion of the window, look for your Seagate, right click it and select change drive letter or path, in the next window click add and choosed a drive letter. Click OK. after the drive letter is assigned, you will be able to see the drive in explorer.
Relevancy 51.6%

Can anyone help? I brought a seagate Expansion Drive less than a month ago to store all my music and pictures on. It worked fine until a few days ago when it started clicking and now under my computer it is showing as a local disk.

I'm not great with computers and have no idea what to do! I have tried running sea tools from the sea gate web site and all the tests come back fine! However, I still can't get the expansion drive to work or let me access any of my music etc. I just want to get my music back!!!!

Can anyone help???

A:SEAGATE 1.5TB expansion drive showing as local Disk

P.S. I'm running on windows vista service pack 2
Relevancy 51.6%

Have joined to see if i can get some assistance noticed others have done this with success I have a seagate TB expansion Hard Drive which was firstly coming up with I O error and now the computer doesnt even register that its connected dispite connection noises from the drive itself on usb connection I have read through various topics and forums and carried out a number of the checks and processes to run through but still without success I have tried this on other laptops and issue is exactly the same I have another Buffulo expansion drive which is working fine in all USB ports The system is windows Vista and upgraded to service showing Seagate hard on not expansion computers drive pack I have cleaned up existing USB drivers on system also When disk management is opened the system doesnt read the drive is connected There is no excessive noises coming from drive but lights on and small amount of heat is given off Needing help as i use drive to back up important photos and files dont want them lost Can anyone help please nbsp

A:Seagate expansion hard drive not showing on computers

Sounds like the drive has failed as you had been getting warning signs with the I/O errors and now it has stopped working. There is a possibility that it is just the circuitry in the housing so you may be able to get it going again with a new housing. You could first test the drive by removing it from the housing and hooking it up to the internal connections of a desktop PC or by using a USB adapter.
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi there For the past week I have been retrieving TB of movies from my Seagate TB Expansion Desk drive USB Expansion Seagate Desktop w/ Drive blocks/sectors bad 3TB It started acting funny after my room mate accidentally flipped the main power circuit for my bedroom while I was in the middle of a transfer Oddly enough I was in the middle of retrieving videos from a year old Verbatim GB which had an ongoing power circuit Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive 3TB w/ bad blocks/sectors issue when he flipped the switch I was salvaging those videos to this TB drive at that moment He killed that Verbatim dead to rights with the surge and I believe it caused the issues on this Seagate TB I can still transfer data to and from the Seagate anywhere from - MB s depending on if the other drive is a USB as well But it just will not play many movies and HD particularly bad I mainly use Kodi XBMC but have tried VLC and MPC All fail at the same points or close in the different players I assumed corrupt files but when I copy them to other drives then play them they work So I ran chkdsk I f r It ran thru quickly saying no issues Every indicator has shown the drive as healthy I ran the zero out option with a format in Partition Wizard Didn't help Frustrated last night I decided to run chkdsk I r one last time It hung at and thinking maybe its doing something I left it but it was going for nearly hours I finally cancelled the chkdsk and ran a surface test with Partition Wizard and now after an hour or so I am getting some bad blocks and Partition Wizard slows right down when it hits one So far three To add if I move the USB cable it sometimes clicks the drive off and it disappears from Windows I have had it show up in Partition Wizard as Bad Disk but after a reboot the drive shows up sharing and security settings all back intact I might reboot again and the drive simply won't show or might take ten minutes to pop up Then I might try and access the drive and get the warning quot You must format this drive quot but a reboot and its back This has led to a long week of data retrieval I've replaced the USB cable but it still can disconnect leading me to believe the receiver slot and its attached circuitry might be shorting or whatever as well This poor drive Its maybe just near a year and a half old not a scratch on it not making any funny sounds or nothing my newest one and was in fact a replacement for an HP TB that failed on me back then I've been at it off and on for a week or so now and Partition Wizard is currently showing hrs time remaining Am I wasting my time here Does it actually repair bad blocks and with the circuitry sensitivity is it worth the effort Would I be able to salvage the drive from the case maybe I am an avid computer and tech user but not expert on the hardware diagnosing end of things Should I just toss this thing

A:Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive 3TB w/ bad blocks/sectors

You can try downloading: /62506/
then unzip it and run to check if your HD is in good health then we can go from there.
Relevancy 51.17%

Looking for this for a while now. The only thing i ever came across that was close was the microsoft virtual cd-rom drive program. Which i never really cared for in the first place.

Just looking for a quick, easy and painless way to mount a iso image and the like, without having to install a app to mount it, and autoplay it, explore it, etc....

Any and all suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays all!!!

A:Portable Image mounter / Virtual drive / drive emulator software
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi to all Seagate Model SRD F Win home prem bit I have had this external for over a year and it just recently started to respond very slow My aim is to save all the media files before this drive dies out or even solve the problem Maybe it wont die out yet but never know what may happen I have an older external and that still works When i plug the usb into laptop and other pcs the drive used to appear quickly but now what happens is it appears in device manager disk drives first but does not appear in my computer window It takes a long while for the drive icon to appear It normally shows also in disk Desktop 3tb slow Expansion extremely Seagate Drive responding management before it shows up in my computer window Next step is when its finally showing when i go into the external it takes a long while again to enter the drive The address bar turns green from left to right but moving very slowly as the external tries to open each folder I dont want to format or lose any data its the first time i came across this problem I brought a new usb cable Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive 3tb responding extremely slow and that did not solve the matter When it loads the files and folders im trying to copy all the files to desktop to save everything But the transfer speed is like below kb Its very slow The fastest its been is just over MB Another tip is when i plug in the cable the blue light turns on and the drive starts spinning and can hear the sound I thought the drive seemed ok but maybe the proffesional guys on here will have a better understanding on how to go about this situation Any help would be great If any info is needed just let me know and i will get back to you

A:Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive 3tb responding extremely slow

Is my external dying? It takes a long time for windows to recognise it in my computer. Its starting to not show up in disk drives and disk management.

If it shows up its after a long time.
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey, wondering if someone can help

Bought my new external hard drive and put a load of my files onto it with no problem at all, but today, on the second time of using it, I plugged it in and it seems to be working because the green light is on and the icon to eject is there, but its not showing in My Computer.

I've seen people saying about the Disk Management and changing the name or path.... so when I open up that window, the disk is not named, when I right click on it, everything is greyed out apart from Help and Delete Volume options.

I've tried uninstalling the drive under the Device Manager and re-installing it again. but that doesn't work either.

I have tried this on my 2 laptops, PB and HP, and it is exactly the same on both. Both run windows 7 64-bit.

Hope Someone is able to help me out a bit, Thanks Lynne.

A:Seagate Expansion Drive 320GB Not Showing Up In My Computer Anymore!!

This may help....
Relevancy 51.17%

I backed up my files on Seagate Expansion desktop drive 2 TB with Vista operating prior to upgrading to Window 8.1
When I tried to retrieve my documents and pictures into Window 8.1 very few files are there and only a few documents and they are at least a year old. I have 10 or more backups on the expansion drive.
I have search Seagate with little help. I have thought maybe I should find a Vista machine and see if the files are there.
It appears to backup with 8.1 but I have not check specifically for documents in the 8.1 back up.
Any thought on getting all my document and pictures off the external hard drive back on the 8.1?

A:Expansion Desktop Drive recover of files saved in Vista

The operating system version you used should not matter, what does matter is HOW you backed up the files. Did you simply use a file manager and drag-and-drop the files to the drive? Or did you use a backup app -- and if so, which one?

If you only did the drag-and-drop you may have to resort to data recovery apps to get the files back. One such free one is "recuva".
Relevancy 49.45%

I got a Seagate FreeAgent Go, 640GB, and every time I plug it in, my CD-ROM drive goes missing. The first time it happened, my CD-ROM drive completely died and I had to replace it. This most recent time, I just had to pull it out and put it back in to fix it.

Any ideas what's going on?
Relevancy 48.59%

Is there a way with Vista to password protect a portable drive. Just to keep honest people out..
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a Compaq ARMADA 4131T laptop that I want to add a IBM Travel star I.D.E. drve to. The motherboard has an 'AMP' 50 pin male plug on it to connect to the hard drive but an I.D.E. H.D. has only 44 pins. I have checked the open voltages on each pin and also the voltages under load to check which are signal and which are power but they do not correspond to the electrical interface specification for I.D.E. connections. Compaq confirm that the motherboard pin outs are not S.C.S.I. although they cannot give me any more information. If no one can give me any fixes can they suggest where I might look on the web for help.

A:Portable I.D.E. drive

Just plug it in and go. A 2.5 " drive is designed for a laptop and all the interfaces are the same and standard. The pinputs are indeed IDE except the cable from the motherboard also supplies the power to the hard drive.
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm in the process of backing up my computer to a portable drive. After plugging it in , the computer recognizes it
as new hwd, but it does not show as an icon in my computer ? XP Home SP3

Relevancy 48.16%

I have a Segate 40 GB Momentus ATA hard drive. The drive is connected to the USB port, but the computer does not recognise the drive. Please send your suggestions if anyone experienced the same problem.

A:portable hard drive

you mean you dont see it in explorer window?
have you tried computer management
right click my computer manage go to disk management see if it is there unformatted
have you loaded the usb drivers
check your device under hadrware see if you have yellow ?
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi Everyone,

I need your opinions on a purchase I'm planning to make soon. I'm in a bit of a fork as to what I'm going to get actually.

A thumb drive would be more portable, so to speak rather than the portable HDD.

An HDD would have way more space, however.

I will mostly use this as a portable drive, bootable with Hiren's Boot CD.

The price difference between the two items, and the two items are as follows:

1. SanDisk? Cruzer? Blade? USB flash drive 16GB - Php 1,150 - Brand New

2. Seagate FreeAgent Go? 250GB - Php 2,000 - Used - Warranty until September 2013.

A:USB Thumb Drive vs Portable HDD

I guess the question I would have is what exactly do you intend to use it for? And just how much storage space do you require?
Thumb drives are very compact and easy to setup and use.

I use both. I really like my 2.5in external drives and I think I only paid like 29.99 on the bay (made in china of course) for the last one with 80g's of space, I use it to keep all my paid for programs on and the keys as well as virus removal programs and such.

I use my thumb drive to share programs and music and such with my Nephew since if he loses it it's cheaper for me to replace and he has tested that theory.
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all hope someone can help me with this. I have a Lenovo G710 laptop, new. I have a Seagate 500gb hd in a portable caddy. When I turn it on it makes all the sounds then shows up in my computer. When I try to open it it it starts to open then hangs, then screen flash it disappears the laptop makes a noise & a message appears that a usb device has not been recognised. I have gone into disk manager run a check on the drive it says it all ok I have all my files & photos on here so hope I can get some help Thanks in advance Reg

Relevancy 48.16%

I have a portable Hard Drive, and i have a problem
I partitioned my hard drive a while ago, into different sections, for example, Music, TV Eppisodes and a Hard drive named 'Portable HDD'
I am able to acess TV Eppisodes and Portable HDD but not Music

When i try to access it i get this error

I then opened ESAEUS partition manager to have a look what the problem is and this is all i see

Ive noticed that all my other hard dives are Primary and this is logical.
What do i do to get this working please? I've tried to scan disk for errors and get this message

Thanks for reading this.

A:Portable Hard Drive

You might try partition recovery. But it looks like the partition is gone. It may be easier just to create a new partition and restore your backups.

Testdisk Documentation
Testdisk Download
Diskinternals Partition Recovery
Testdisk Boot Disk
Partition Find & Mount
Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
[email protected] Partition Recovery
Bootmaster Partition Recovery
ZAR Partition Recovery
DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
Partition Table Doctor
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a portable hard drive (I/O Magic)
80 gigs

I love it, it's small.
And I can take it around with me.
I use it very often.

However, I was using it on my laptop today and I accidentally let it drop onto the carpet. The fall was only about 1 1/2 feet tops but it obviously did something negative. So, my problem is that it doesn't load up anymore when I hook the USB into my laptop or desktop. I think a wire got loose inside and that's why the drive isn't spinning. i don't know, I need help! The light still works on the portable harddrive but that's about it. I have a lot of data on this drive that I can't afford to lose!

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Relevancy 48.16%

Pendrive keeps on running ..

Files created:

When try to eject:
The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later.

Relevancy 48.16%

I have just bought a new portable hard drive made by Zynet, but it a Fujitsu hard drive, anyway, I came to install it, windows said it has installed the driver, but it is not showing up on my pc's, checking the disk management page I find the new hard drive is not initialized, so I click on initialize now, and get a box popping up say 'The device is not ready'?
I have updated the usb drivers to no effect, tried uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling all to no avail!
This getting REALLY annoying as I want to back 100's of GB of music on to it?

A:New Portable Hard Drive

Have you tried plugging it into different USB ports on the computer?
Have you tried doing a Windows Update to see if you can obtain the latest drivers?

Can you also post additional info on the model of the HD?
Relevancy 48.16%

i have a protable hard drive on my server and the files are shared and randomly i try to access a folder and it says its corrupted plz run checkdisk i have done that and it fixes it then a few hours later it does it somewhere else, any idea how it is causing all this?

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all, I just got a usb 80gb portable harddrive not long ago for my work stuff.

I move around alot to show my works to people but I am a careless person too... always leaving things behind.

I am wondering is that any software that can lockup my entire 80gb drive and prompt for password when ever I plug in to a new computer?

I tried a few software in the market but they are either virtual drive (small size) or only lock folder and files only.

Please recommend me a good software.

A:Need Help On Locking My Usb Portable Drive.

My Western Digital USB drive came with a utility for this. Have you checked with the manufacturer of the drive?

There are other freeware solutions out there - bt they're generally (IMO) not as well implemented as the manufacturer's solution.
Relevancy 48.16%

I am unable to connect to any antivirus sites I cannot update windows nor drive? from portable Infection get IE to download Any virus software I have refuses to update and also browser re-directs in Google The Internet Infection from portable drive? Explorer browser I am using is IE I am running XP Home and had Spybot S amp D and Avast Free installed as well as Adware free I no longer have access to any Infection from portable drive? restore points that precede my infection I think that occurred on the nd of April I am awaiting any help thanks in advance kovax DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by I T Maintainance at on Thu Internet Explorer Pseudo HJT Report uSearch Bar hxxp www google com hws sb dell-usuk en side html channel us uInternet Settings ProxyOverride local TB C B - - d - B - A CD F - No File TB EF BD -C Infection from portable drive? FB- D - F- D F - No File TB A A -BACC- D -C E- F D A EC - No File uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe mRun dellsupportcenter quot c program files dell support center bin sprtcmd exe quot P dellsupportcenter dRun AVG Run c progra grisoft avgfre avgw exe RUNONCE dRun swg c program files google googletoolbarnotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe uPolicies-explorer NoSecurityTab x IE e e dd -d - - b -f ba - windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe IE FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - c program files messenger msmsgs exe IE B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - CAFEEFAC- - - -ABCDEFFEDCBC - c program files java jre bin ssv dll IE B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - FF E -CC A- E E-BF B- E D - c progra micros office REFIEBAR DLL IE CD F -D E - d - FE- C F AFE - FE FA -D C- d - FA- C F AFE - c windows system Shdocvw dll DPF B BCA- F C- CF- - - hxxp download macromedia com pub shockwave cabs director sw cab DPF - F - BB - D -FA D F A AB - hxxp us dl yimg com download yahoo com dl yinst yinst current cab DPF AD C - E- D -B E - F D - hxxp java sun com update jinstall- -windows-i cab DPF FFBE D- C C- - BD- DC B C - hxxp fpdownload macromedia com get flashplayer current ultrashim cab DPF B BE E -A C- D -A DC- - hxxp cdn zone msn com binFramework v ZIntro cab cab DPF CAFEEFAC- - - -ABCDEFFEDCBA - hxxp java sun com update jinstall- -windows-i cab DPF CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA - hxxp java sun com update jinstall- -windows-i cab DPF D C -DB B- - B - EE A C F - hxxp download games yahoo com games web games gamehouse frenzy SproutLauncher cab TCP AFA-AFB - - BF -E FAC F B Notify igfxcui - igfxdev dll Notify PRISMAPI DLL - PRISMAPI DLL SSODL WPDShServiceObj - AAA BA- A C- B - D - D DB - c windows system WPDShServiceObj dll SERVICES DRIVERS Created Last - - lt DIR gt --d-hr-- C VAULT AVG - - lt DIR gt --d----- c docume it d mai applic AVG - - lt DIR gt --d----- c docume alluse applic Grisoft - - lt DIR gt --d----- c docume alluse applic Malwarebytes - - lt DIR gt --d----- c program files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - - lt DIR gt --d----- c docume it d mai applic MegauploadToolbar - - lt DIR gt --d----- c program files MegauploadToolbar - - lt DIR gt --d----- c program files AutorunRemover - - lt DIR gt --d----- c program files PC MightyMax - - lt DIR gt --dsh--- C RECYCLER - - lt DIR gt --d----- c program files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - - a------- c windows system avgrsstx dll - - lt DIR gt --d----- c windows system drivers Avg - - lt DIR gt --d----- c program files AVG - - lt DIR gt --d----- c docume alluse applic avg - - a------- c windows system drivers mbam sys - - a------- c windows system drivers mbamswissarmy sys - - lt DIR gt a-dshr-- C cmdcons - - a------- c windows SWREG exe - - a------- c windows sed exe - - a------- c windows system RBK tmp - - a------- c windows system RBK tmp - - a------- c windows system RBK tmp - - lt DIR gt --d----- c docume it d mai applic PC POWER SUITE - - lt DIR gt --d----- c program files common files Scanner - - lt DIR gt --d----- c program files CA Yahoo Anti-Spy - - a------- c windows MegaManager INI - - lt DIR gt --d----- c docume alluse applic Megaupload - - lt DIR gt --d----- c docume i... Read more

A:Infection from portable drive?

Hello kovax. Our apologies for the oversight of your thread. If you still require assistance, please run a new scan with dds.scr and post the dds.txt
Relevancy 48.16%

which hard drive you you all think is the best:

or this LACIE:
LaCie - Rugged USB 3.0

I don't know which one to choose since my seagate agent go is broken...

A:Portable Hard Drive

Sorry I can't help as I haven't used either, my external drive is a Seagate Expansion so not what you would call a portable one as it's used on a desktop computer, don't have a laptop.

I suppose it comes down to what you can afford and which one would give you all the features you need, have you read any reviews about them and if so which comes out the better buy ?
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi Folks - hate for my first post to be a troubleshoot but I m in a Portable issue Drive real fix My laptop is out for two weeks with a cracked screen Toshiba Satellite Vista Fortunately I had a portable gb usb drive that I used on a Lenovo laptop that I had XP platform I ve not had issues before with this portable just plug amp play It never came with install software Well I have the darned thing plugged into an XP Service Pak II desktop and it worked Then I turned the computer off and started up again and can t find the drive - There isn t another computer here to test the drive on but when it powers up the light works and you can hear the drive spinning I changed USB cables with no results All my vital data is on it of course so I need to do something that will work and Portable Drive issue will work quickly The device driver shows nothing on the usb ports although they work with other plug ins The device driver also shows an unknown device on IRQ described as ROOT ACAP Whatever this is it uses a System drivers acap sys driver whatever the heck this is ANYONE out there have a possible solution I m in deep doo-doo Thanks in advance for whatever you can offer B nbsp

A:Portable Drive issue

Welcome to TSG....

Could we have some system specs on this computer?

Make and model number would be good also?

Make sure you include trhe amount of RAM in it also?
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi I have A portable hard drive in the past I have downloaded movies I have paid for from the internet onto the hd and plugged it into my dvd palyer and watched them on my tv, but yesterday I brought some more movies and whilst my hd is plugged into my computor the movies play and the file shows but when I plug into my dvd it doesnt show any of the new movie file I ve tried pc fixex but not sure what else could have gone wrong???

Hi Bessy1, and welcome to TSG.

There is no guarantee that I will have a solution for you, but it might help someone else here to help you if you let us know the following:

1) Brand and model number of the DVD player

2) URL of the web site where you are purchasing the downloads. Have you been using the same site for the movies that do play and the new ones that do not play?

3) The file format (file name extension) of the old files that do play and new files that will not play
Relevancy 48.16%

I need a external hard drive to take with me from office to office to home. My needs are around 30-40 gig to carry the programs I need and to back up my personal documents. What would some of you recomend, I am assuming it would be USB, I saw some cases that you put a hard drive in but wondered if thats the way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

Relevancy 48.16%

I just purchased a portable USB hard drive, which normally obtains its power directly from the usb port. It doesn't work on a card bus, which is what I have, so I need to use an AC adaptor. The manual says the drive requires a class 2 adapter, DC5V--1A. I already have an adapter for my mp3 player that is DC5V--2A, but the drive's company said I can't use it. Someone in a shop told me I could. Who is right?

A:Portable USB Drive AC adapter

I say the 'shop' guy is right, you can use it, as long as the +/- are the same (it will tell you on the adapter, and hopefully on the drive thing, whether the 'outer' of the adapter plug end is + or -).

It's the right voltage, and the amps doesn't matter, as it's over what the unit needs to run...amsp are not 'pushed' into a device, the device 'pulls' as much as it needs. Voltage on the other hand IS pushed, so would cause damage.

I say use it if it is the right polarity (+/-).

Relevancy 48.16%

Just got myself a new portable hard drive made by Zynet.
Every time I try to Initialize it, a box pops up saying The device is not ready?
I have tried changing the USb sockets it is plugged into, to no avail?
The HD is on, the pc recognises it, as it is showing up in the disk management screen.

But the strange thing is my laptop also running Windows 7 recognised straight away?

A:New Portable Hard Drive

Quote: Originally Posted by FatTrace

Just got myself a new portable hard drive made by Zynet.
Every time I try to Initialize it, a box pops up saying The device is not ready?
I have tried changing the USb sockets it is plugged into, to no avail?
The HD is on, the pc recognises it, as it is showing up in the disk management screen.

But the strange thing is my laptop also running Windows 7 recognised straight away?

Does DM assign it a drive letter?
Relevancy 48.16%

Not sure if this correct forum to post in but here goes. Whenever I plug in an external drive I get the error: H:/ is not accessible. Access is denied. Any ideas on how to overcome this..

A:No Portable drive access..

Figured it out.. thx
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a WD portable hard drive used for back up. Its a usb connection. The problem im having is the mobile device on the new system i built isnt being recognised.[winXP SP3] I tried using WD data live guard tools. This device was used on the other pc i had. ITS not a new device. any help guys?

Relevancy 48.16%

I'd like to buy a second backup drive, since our Seagate is nearly 3 years old, but I need it to be somewhere around the $30 range. All of the ones I find though seem to have 1TB of storage (I haven't managed to fill our 500GB SeaGate with 3 different computers, and now we only have 2!), and I am not convinced I really need that much room, plus they are out of the budget. I do like the dashboard that came with our old drive, so would prefer one that has some sort of backup software.

Any brand or spec recommendations that would come in at my budget?

A:Portable external drive for less than $50?

The Lowest Cost portable external I see at my favorite Toy Store is $60
Relevancy 48.16%

I can't get my pc (os:xp2003) to read my portable hard drive (Moving Star). my usb ports onmy laptop work and function properly with all my other compatible software, and my external hard drive specifications state that it should be fully compatible with my software but when i plug it in, and follow the instructions for installation and come to an abrupt stand still because my pc doesn't even acknowledge anything being there. Also, the driver cd-rom only read as a windows music cd on my pc. Can you help me?

not sounding funny, but have you plugged it into the mains if its a big portable drive?

if your laptop USB 2.0..?
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a Seagate 2 TB portable drive Expansion is shows in devices but will not initialize. How do I get it to work?
Relevancy 48.16%

Can somebody tell me wich one is better? give me some info?
I dont know if i should buy a portable drive or a cd writer?

A:Portable Drive or CD writer?

Maybe this article will give you some info you need:;66996414
Relevancy 48.16%

A long while ago I purchased a Western Digital MyBook Please drive not working. help! Portable USB USB hard drive that required a power source from a wall outlet After working for two years it failed The computer I ran it on was Windows Ultimate -bit I plugged it into my Father's Windows Vista -bit machine and it showed up right away I thought maybe there was a problem with that drive on Windows plus I was tired of the AC adapter so I Portable USB drive not working. Please help! bought a GB Portable USB drive not working. Please help! portable Toshiba hard drive I plugged it into the same machine my old one died on and it would appear for a short while and then disappear Then re-appear and disappear again All while making that USB quot Bee-boop quot noise Like it was going crazy I've tried different cables and I've tried all available ports I've tested it on my Father's Vista machine and it worked there Now I was wondering if it was just my motherboard gone bad I decided to build a new computer I installed all the drivers for everything and then plugged the USB hard drive in Into ports that OTHER devices are working on The drive powers up and the activity light flashes for about one second and then turns off The drive still spins but the light goes off And Windows acts like nothing ever happened After unplugging it and re-plugging it back in to different ports my computer actually just instantly restarts It can't be a bad drive because it works on other machines My copy of Windows hasn't even been installed for hours yet and it's already not working After trying over times ONCE the activity light actually stayed on and the drive appeared and I was able to browse This is great but it fell from my lap unplugged and restarted the PC Even still I don't want to recover my data I just want to USE the drive I paid for Any ideas

A:Portable USB drive not working. Please help!

Okay I'll give Toshiba a call. The drive is spinning just fine, it doesn't sound violent or broken in any way. It shouldn't be since it's brand new, along with my OS. When I first got it I did a "Quick format" making it NTFS. I didn't do a long format. Would that be a problem? (I did the format on my Father's Vista machine).

Also, where is the diagnostic tool? If I manage to get the drive to appear again.
Relevancy 48.16%

I would like to install XP onto a portable hard drive

There's a tutorial here: How Install Windows on an External Hard Drive |
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a new laptop Aside from protecting it with antivirus antispyware I like to keep personal files on an outside hard drive My question is whether to go with a portable drive which will derive its power from a USB connection or go with a full external drive with a wall wart Portable Drive Pros No wall wart This Drive? To Buy: External Portable Drive? Or also means if you re using it on your laptop when there s a power failure you ve got in essence a UPS protection feature More portability as per its name Can travel in laptop case with you Quieter External Drive Pros Faster rpm vs Better price per Gigabyte Available with firewire and eSATA interfaces in addition to USB To Buy: Portable Drive? Or External Drive? What I know least about is reliability MTBF values My experience with external To Buy: Portable Drive? Or External Drive? drives is that they are extremely reliable Portable drives do not look as robust How can I find out if one kind of drive is more reliable than the other Thanks robo nbsp

A:To Buy: Portable Drive? Or External Drive?

If you don't need portability then go with an 3.5inch external drive which will have its own power source.
Portable 2.5inch drives normally require two usb ports to power it, which can be a problem if ports are limited.
Not to sure why you would want to only put person files on the external drive and not the main drive though
Relevancy 47.73%

If anyone needs flash for portable browsers, go here ---
Portable Adobe Flash Player

Easiest way to use flash for portable browsers. I use on Firefox portable.

The website is of a well known member RejZoR on Wilders & Avast, etc...
Relevancy 47.73%

My daughter need a new dvd drive for her computer. It's main purpose will be playing her Sims disks & music. Walmart has an internal memorex with 24x read/write speed. - OR -the portable ones are 8x read/write speed. Her Computer is a Dell Dimension 4600, not super fast but able to play Sims 2. Will the memorex work better for this purpose? The fact that the memorex is a faster drive than the original won't be a problem will it? Thanks for your response.

A:Choosing a DVD drive-portable or installed

Do you have an online link to these drives?
Relevancy 47.73%

PC : Compaq Presario CQ3623L

Problem : Cannot Eject any Portable Hard Drive with Safely Remove Hardware Window. My Portable HD didn't show on Safely Remove Hardware windows, so I cant eject them.

Please any advice to me? Thank you.

A:Cannot Eject any Portable Hard Drive

Right click on my computer
You should see your ext hard drive under the list.
Right click on it, and choose CHANGE DRIVE LETTER
Choose anything, but I recommand something higher than M:

I've seen this problem with alot of STORAGE DEVICE
It happen more often with Laptop because they usually have Card reader.
So it makes couple drives like e:, f:, g:.
Storage device tries to install themself with the drive letter next to CDROM
c: - HD1
d: - HD2 or CDROM
e: - Mass storage device (maybe for card readers)
So your external HD tries to have the E: drive (probably a bug)
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a WD 120 GB Portable HD, when I plug it in, it shows up in the Device Manager, but I cant see it in Windows Explorer.

A:Portable Hard Drive Issue

Is it possibly sharing a drive letter with something else? Right click on my computer and choose manage. Once there go to the bottom and chose disk management. From there you can see if the disk drive is actually there.

If it is you can check the drive letter. You might right click on it and Choose drive letter and paths....

I hope this helps.
Relevancy 47.73%

I always connect my portable hard drive to my laptop to upload tv series onto it I will then plug the portable into my router and everybody in the house can access the stuff on it Portable problem drive hard Today I wanted to upload some stuff again from my laptop to the portable but my laptop doesn t recognize the portable hard drive I tried it on the other laptop in Portable hard drive problem the house with the same result Portable hard drive problem When I plug it into the router usb port I can access it but not when plugged into any of the laptops One laptop has Win and other Win The portable hard drive works when connected to my router usb port and when connected to my Samsung tv usb port It is not accessible when plugged into any laptop I have always used it with my laptop without any problems I have tried a new cable but it has the same result Any assistance will be appreciated nbsp

A:Portable hard drive problem

At first glace this looks like a error in drivers usually corrected easily. Try a complete shut down of all computers and the portable hard drive. Leave all off for a minute then try reinitializing everything.
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi, I've got a problem

I went to use my Toshiba 320gb portable hard drive and my computer wouldn't recognize it was there. So I checked to see if the usb port works, it does. I check to see if the cable worked, it does, I tried the hard drive on another computer, it works. I went to computer management to see if it was listed, it wasn't.

And now I'm out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 47.73%

Just bought a Seagate FreeAgent Go 250GB hard drive to back up the computer, which is fairly old now. The problem is - my laptop only has 1 USB port and the hard drive requires two USB ports.

Am I able to connect the Power and Data cable to my computer and back up while connecting the Power only cable to another computer at the same time?
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi I have Photoshop 12 & a portable hard drive with two keys. Can I down load it to the hard drive & use my Photoshop on my (two) sisters computers. This is for my personal use only!! Thanks

Relevancy 47.73%

Not sure if I goofed during purchase or if the just arrived Dell Inspiron 7000 normally comes without a CD/DVD drive. Nonetheless, I need to purchase a USB/external unit for those instances when needed.

I don't know which manufacturers are best and which to stay away from and what should be considered an acceptable transfer speed. The device will be used 99% for program install, infrequent archiving, reading other's data. Blu-ray is unnecessary.

It'd be great (I know my wife would appreciate it) if the device was available in aluminum to match the laptop.

Relevancy 47.73%

I asked on another topic about a pocket hard drive and someone suggested making my own. Ok, but what will I need to do to make it? What advice can you give on where to go and what to do?

A:Question about making my own portable drive.

If you want it small, take a look at this.

If you want one that you can use a regular IDE rather than a notebook drive, here is a good start.
Relevancy 47.73%

I recently tried to install some portable apps (mainly ccleaner and browsers). I realised the loading and running it is quite slow. I wondered if it is due to the use of USB 2.0 flash drive? would 3.0 work faster? I'm using windows 10 Home.

A:Portable Programs on USB 2.0 Flash Drive

Yes USB 3.0 would be a lot faster.
Relevancy 47.73%

Can you install Server 2003 on a portable hard drive? If so, what steps do I need to follow?
Relevancy 47.73%

My Iomega drive works fine on my lap top but plugged into my PC the sound connection makes device manager say mass storage device. But I cannot open this device as nothing is displayed in My Computer. Can anyone help please, thanks.

A:Iomega portable hard drive

please do not duplicate threads - you already have replies here so continue on that thread please

closing this one
Relevancy 47.73%

I just installed a portable hard drive into my system, the hard drive has windows 98 & XP pro. My main Hard drive also has Windows XP pro is this gonna be a problem?

A:Installed portable hard drive.........

Howdy Baked...

Just for clairfication, which type of portable drive did you install ?

For the most part, you shouldn't have any problems...
Relevancy 47.73%

The other day whilst backing up my computer to my portable hard drive for the first time my flatmate disconnected my hard drive accidentally Now when I connect my hard drive to my computer Vista Ultimate -bit or any other computer I ve tried XP Vista -bit and -bit a balloon problem hard drive Portable pops up from the notification area saying that the new hardware is being installed It then says that it was successfully install and is ready to use However the hard drive does not appear under windows explorer When I open device manager I can find the hard drive and it says it is working properly When I open computer managment and then go to disk management it says that disk the hard disk is not initialized When I right click it and select initialize it asks me what partition style is on the disk master boot record MBR or GUID partition table GPT partition style No matter what one I select I ve tried both I get a pop up saying there is an error How do I initialize and access retrieve the information on my hard drive If this isn t a possibility how do I reformat the entire hard drive so that I can use it again At the moment its useless to me If you need any more info please just ask Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

I have a 40 gb portable drive (Wolerine Brand) I use to transport files between work and home. I've been using it for 5 years now between my Mac computer at work and my Windows computer at home with no problems until recently. I figured the issues might have been from a corrupt file on the device so I decided to wipe it clean and reformat it. I did so on my PC with my Windows 7 operating system. I saved a folder of files to take to work which I could access with no problem, however, I could not copy anything to the drive. It said I had read access only. I brought the drive home and set the security permissions to full control. I tried the device again at work and again it says I don't have access to the drive. How can I format the portable drive so that I can use it with both computers?

A:Problems formatting portable drive

First concern - five years for a drive is like a hundred dog years.

It is possible that the work machine has been set to disallow writing to external devices.
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi, I have a pc running windows 7 pro 64 bit. I am wondering why everytime I turn it on with my portable drive plugged in, it would attempt to boost from that drive and give me an error. I have checked the boost order and did not see anything strange in the setting. This is a picture that I took (ADATA CH11 is the portable drive in question- there are other thumb drives plugged in too but they do not cause any problems).

can someone take a look at this for me? Many thanks!

PS: inside that portable drive I copied the C drive of my old vista computer and put it in a folder- I do not think it causes the issue but just in case...

A:windows keep boosting up from portable drive

Double check you boot order.

Please complete this tutorial by Golden.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image
Relevancy 47.73%

My old Dell was giving out so I thought I would purchase a portable backup drive to use for my pix and music until I could receive my new Dell XPS I purchased a Clickfree portable backup Portable BSOD! Backup and Drive which I just loved easy as plugging it in and everything was automatic The problem started when I tried to plug it into any of the usb ports on my new XPS Vista would recognize it load the drivers and then the BSOD would pop up with a quot System Exception Error quot with the following text Mini - dmp sysdata xml Version txt I discovered that Clickfree has a download to update for Vista so I did that and installed it and still I get the BSOD My Clickfree WILL work with my neighbor's new Dell with Vista He also had a Clickfree and when he tried his on my pc I still got the BSOD Clickfree tech support will not help me and Dell says that as long as the usb port is working they can't help me either What do I need to do to get this Portable Backup Drive and BSOD! Clickfree to work on my pc All of my pictures music and docs are on this device What is causing this BSOD

A:Portable Backup Drive and BSOD!

Hi SharDar and Welcome to Vista Forums.
When the BSOD occurs, could you please look at the bottom right hand side of the computer and let us know what's the BSOD error code. It should start with 0X...
Relevancy 47.73%

Find that this LaCie iamaKey 8GB USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive is only $25.99, ($3.25/GB). Sounds great.

It looks like a key..
Is this a good Portable Flash Drive?

A:Is this a good Portable Flash Drive?

I've personally never had any experience with them and would rather go with a well known (to me) reliable Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8GB Flash Drive (USB 2.0 Portable) Model PEF8GUSB - Retail. Thats just my opinion.
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi All.

I have a 2.5inch HDD inside an external case which is my primary means of carrying my data around.

Everything works hunky dory at home, however when I take it to university, there appears to be a policy which disables write access to the drive as it comes up as a Hard-Drive, whereas other nand based devices come up as removable drives.

Firstly, is it likely that windows (vista) is applying a policy to all hard drives attached to prevent write access (to most folders). Secondly, if so, how do I change the disk so it identifies as a removable drive as opposed to local hard drive.

(In Disk management, the external hdd comes up as a basic disc, whereas my flash drive is listed as removable)
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello and thank you for any help I got a virus malware on my laptop and moved some files over to a portable hard drive drive hard Disinfecting a portable prior to reinstalling the OS I was not aware that doing so would infect the hard drive but it did Yes dumb on my part I know Prior to knowing it was infected I hooked it up to my desktop pc and also infected that Long story short I reloaded the OS on my laptop and installed a bunch of spyware malware programs and then hooked up the portable drive to it to have them run and clean the drive Is this the best way to go about cleaning removing malware virus from a portable hard drive My concern is that even though I have basically run all these programs multiple times the portable hard drive may still contain something and when I go to use it again it will re infect a clean pc Any help on this would be appreciated Maybe there is really no way of telling if the drive i absolutely clean I am mainly concerned Disinfecting a portable hard drive about transmitting malware virus that can infect my pc and allow others to see my passwords or bank info Disinfecting a portable hard drive etc Is this hard drive never to be trusted again or Thanks in advance Bill

A:Disinfecting a portable hard drive

Hello and welcome to TSF.

tetonbob has recently replied to a similar question. You'll find the answers there.
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello! I was given a portable Toshiba SuperMulti drive to accompany my Acer Laptop (Windows 7.) I am just now trying to use it to watch a DVD as my television is not working. I know this seems like an idiot question but I cannot figure out how to open the tray! I even googled an exact photo which viewed the tray in an open position, but it just will not budge. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

A:Toshiba portable media drive

Does it look like this one? With the portable drive plugged into a USB port that works, see if it's light comes on.....that's a signal it is up and working.
Usually the rounded oval button will open the tray- press it, wait a bit....keep pressing. They can be stuck- there is another way to try to open the tray:

Open Computer, My Computer, or ThisPC whatever shows your drives....this portable should show in Removable drives area......
Right click the portable DVD drive if it shows in that window and select "Eject" and that would also open the tray.

Another way, look for a tiny round hole in the front of the tray, using a straightened out paper clip, poke gently into that hole not too will feel a little give when you contact the tray eject button inside the drive. Tray should also open that way.
Relevancy 47.73%

Hey guys,

I have a westerndigital 120 GB laptop harddrive with only 1 partition and I had purchased it like 7 years ago and never formated whole drive. But I have deleted folders many times and tried to recover from recuva and easeus but not found all folders which had (images/audio/videos). Is it possible to get them back as I never formated whole drive.

A:Is it possible to recover from portable laptop drive ?

Why did you format a drive with a single partition without formatting the "whole drive"? Did you deliberately make a single partition that was less than 120 GB--for some reason?

If this partition has been in use for years, the chances of recovering all files that were on it at one time or another is near zero. The location on the partition where file X once was has quite probably been over-written since it was deleted, making the recovery extremely unlikely.
Relevancy 47.73%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 2036 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 466650 MB, Free - 352164 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 3913 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0FM586
Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I bought a Toshiba Canvio Connect 1.0 TB Portable External hard drive. When connected via the USB port there is movement inside the unit. Can this be left connected to my desktop PC or should I disconnect? I want to use this as my back up location as my D drive is not large enough. Thanks.

A:Solved: Portable Hard Drive

It'll work but never move it while connected.
Relevancy 47.73%

I would be grateful to receive advice from Forum members with regards to a portable external USB drive for a Laptop. Capacity needs to be 250GB.

My research to date has revealed the following: -

1. Western Digital My Passport. Most popular external HDD but has received many bad reviews for the Sync Software that installs itself automatically when you connect the drive for the first time. The Sync Software was written by a 3rd-party vendor and is not supported by Western Digital.

2. Buffalo Mini Station. Good reviews on the hardware but terrible reviews on the software and support. Expensive per GB.

3. Seagate Free Agent. Reviews say that it is reliable but very slow.

4. Western Digital Elements. Very expensive per GB. Slow.

5. Freecom Mobile Drive. Best reviews of any product but very, very expensive per GB.

6. Freecom ToughDrive. Good reviews but has a history of failing.

Thanks for your feedback.

Relevancy 47.73%

Hey, I have a WD Portable 1TB Hardrive and it won't show up in windows or device manger, ive had it for about a year a few weeks ago I was unable to access one of the partitions and I was using and checking and fixing errors with CHKDSK and it froze half way through and now neither of the partitions will show, is there anything I can do?

A:Portable hard drive won't show up

Outside of trying it on a different computer, probably not. Is the drive spinning up when you plug it in?
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi Does anyone know what might make a second hard drive for a Toshiba laptop computer unreadable I moved from the Czech Republic to Poland recently and noticed that my portable hard drive is apparently quot empty quot of all data I know that s Portable Hard Unreadable Drive not possible because it was working fine before I left Czech and there s Portable Hard Drive Unreadable a lot of stuff on it Basically I have all my course material for the past years stored on this portable drive I am a history professor I certainly did Portable Hard Drive Unreadable not delete anything so where could all of my data have disappeared to I went to a firm in Warsaw an they told me it would cost me to recover my data using their company However a computer science major here in Debrcen told me that date rcovery from them would be there are data recovery programs on the web that can help Portable Hard Drive Unreadable me rescue my data If you can offer me any pointers on type of proble I would surely appreciate it Thank you in advance for your help Julieanna nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

Gentleman and possibly ladies Thanks for what you do guys My problem is simple portable hard drive problems I bought a Logitec not logitech G HD USB Plug and Play Took it out of the box and plugged it in and worked fine I backed up gigs of music and all my pics days ago my laptop froze up and I was forced to restart by shutting the computer completly off and turning it back on The hard drive was still connected When I did the reboot I could no longer find the HD in my computer portable hard drive problems although the computer recognized a mass storage device plugged in and then it recogized it as quot WDC ROM - SCORPIO quot instead of the normal portable hard drive problems quot LHD USB quot I can t access any information and it refuses to show up as my E in My Computer like it used to I m all out of options I really want my music and pics back Please help saddened by the loss Emasino nbsp