Windows Support Forum

hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive

Q: hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive

hi all,
i hope someone can help me out, i am a newbie to all this so bare with me.
my hard drive failed over a month ago but i managed to do a system image with win7 to my new 2tb internal hard drive. i cannot get the image recovery to work as i says "no image can be found on hard disk". i am at a loss from there. I have tried and cried over this as its driving me mad as i have no pc.

Leroy

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive

just to add really that the system image is on my new hard drive (2tb internal). i use the boot dvd and i get a far as "repair my computer" click on it, sometimes i get message saying not compatable with this version of windows other times it lets me on to next bit, then says no image can be found on hard drive. if i go through the load drivers i can see my hard drive with items on it. ie windowsbackup and others. again i am at a loss with this, any help would be greatful.

Leroy

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/314470-hard-drive-failed-system-image-not-found-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 90.52%

I have Pavillion DV7T Quad with 1TB hard drive that has failed.  Failed hard drive only has ~140GB on it.   I have: 1) full system image on external WDC Passport.2) System Recovery DVD for Win 7 64-bit Disk 1 of 2 and Disk 2 0f 2 obtained from HP at time laptop acquired.3) Repair Disc for Windows 7 64-bit that I had created "way back when". I purchased a new 240 GB SSD to keep this laptop as backup.  Can I use 1, 2, or 3 to load files onto SSD (since mechanical drive won't operate)? bikerider1

A:restoring system image to failed hard drive

The Full System Image would restore all your settings and data just as they were when the image was created. The recovery process would depend on which program you used to create the image. Using the HP Recovery Disks will restore your system to a factory fresh state. You would then have to manually restore all your settings and data. The repair disk will only give you troubleshooting and repair tools.  If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.         If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/restoring-system-image-to-failed-hard-drive/td-p/5598499
Relevancy 88.66%

I have x gb intel SSD disks running as RAID Recently my motherboard had failed drive). failed Error (on 0x80042407 same image backup hard the System and I replaced it with new one different model Couldnt access OS because System image backup failed (on the same hard drive). Error 0x80042407 apparently some RAID data is kept on the motherboard and that was gone so I decided to use a backup Booted from windows installation disk and selected backup I click on 'repair' get to the 'select a system image backup' Select 'use the latest available system image recommended Click 'next' I get the message 'all disk to be restored will be formatted and replaced with the layout and data in the system image' Click Yes but then got an error saying quot The system image restore failed Error details The disk that is set as active in BIOS is too small to recover the original system disk Replace the disk with a larger one and retry the restore operation x quot Disk is completely empty with only partition deleted all partitions and reformatted and then created one Before motherboard problem i had several partitions but I imagine that restore would recreate them Why do i get 'disk to small error' when im restoring on the same disk RAID configuration problem Could stripe size be an issue here My OS Win Professional

A:System image backup failed (on the same hard drive). Error 0x80042407

What would be a workaround this problem?
I have two other 250gb drives.
How about seting them up as a RAID0, restoring to this bigger disk, then doing backup/restore to the orignal 2x160gb HDD with beter backup program like acronis?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/216399-system-image-backup-failed-same-hard-drive-error-0x80042407.html
Relevancy 110.94%

Hi, I have two internal 500Gb SATA drives and one external 500Gb ESATA drive.
I wanted to have 2 backups images of my drive as a safety measure. One on the internal and one on the external ESATA drive.
The backup image on the internal drive took about 25 minutues and seems OK. The image size is about 75Gb.
I then tried a second backup on my external drive. ESATA is supposed to be faster than USB. After about three and a half hours the backup stopped and said that it had failed. Any ideas please?
Thanks in advance!
Graham

A:External hard drive image failed

What did the error say? and i assume you create your image using the "Backup and Restore"

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/34368-external-hard-drive-image-failed.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hello all!
The hard drive in my laptop is failing, I can run diagnostics but not boot windows. When it hits a certain point on the drive the laptop cuts out and restarts.
General consensus is new hard drive. Problem is; is it possible to somehow save the vista image so I can reinstall Windows on the new drive without having to go and buy a new OS?
Ps, I don't have a recovery disk.
Thanks.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/windows-vista-recovery-image-failed-hard-drive-4605827/
Relevancy 107.07%

Had this laptop for about 6 years, had a few issues in the past, but nothing major like this. After, I ran a system dianostic, the result shown that the Hard drive short DST failed. Not totally sure how to do a recovery, I do have the Recovery Discs, so I searched up how to run the discs; turned on the system- press f11-  window loading files- window starting- then it just stuck on a window blue screen with nothing but the cursor. Can I even use the Recovery Discs? I want to replace the old HDD with a new SSD, but I'm not sure if I have to install a new OS or can I recover the old hard drive OS and transfer to the SSD?

A:Hard Drive failure (Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed)

DST:Fail means  the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-failure-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-Check-Failed/td-p/5789622
Relevancy 106.21%

The windows system image backed up on my external hard drive (2TB WD USB3) is not showing while restoring the PC from an image.

The only option available is my hard drive partition on which i also had saved a system image.

What is the reason?
Though windows recommends External hard drive for backing up image when backing up the system.

A:System image on External hard drive is not accesible while restoring PC from image

Your system may not be able to see usb devices at boot. Check in bios for a setting that enables USB at boot. If there isn't such a setting, and if your system is fairly old and can't see the device, you'll have to copy the image to a separate partition on the hd.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/417380/system-image-on-external-hard-drive-is-not-accesible-while-restoring-pc-from-image/
Relevancy 105.78%

I am having a serious problem with my pc.Windows disk is showing me these following errorsBoot sector of the hard drive disk is damagedBad sectors on hard drive or damaged file allocation tableRead time of hard drive clusters less the 500 msHard drive doesnt respond to system commands40% of hdd space is unreadableWhat does this mean and can I fix itI cannot access my documents folder or other programs Any Help would be greatI tried the defrag thing but it didnt workEdit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, at the recommendation of forum staff. ~ Animal

A:Critical Error Hard Drive not found. Missing hard Drive

When you say "Windows disk". Can you give a little better description of just what\where the warning message is coming from?

You "tried the defrag thing but it did`t work".

Where did you go to access the defrag? What does "it did`t work" mean?

The reason I am asking these questions is not to give you a hard time. There is a virus going around that is very similar in it`s behavior.

I am just trying to find out exactly what it is we are dealing with.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380473/critical-error-hard-drive-not-found-missing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 104.49%

If I need to replace my hard drive & I have an image which includes:
OEM Win 7 OS
Office 2007
Photoshop
Sibelius (expensive music software)
Compiler
McAfee...etc

What are the chances that I can transfer the image to the new drive and all the software will run without reactivation? Or the software sees a new drive as a new computer?

A:System image on new hard drive

You should be able to transfer the image just fine as long as the new drive is larger than the previous drive. If you have trouble, try partitioning the drive to the exact size of the old one. Also, if you don't have your original installation disk you'll need system restore disks.

Also, if the old drive is still working, you may want to create an alternative system image via a third party backup software as a last resort. Macrium Reflect is a good choice. You'll need a boot cd that you can make through the program.

Take at look at this thread:
Restoring system image to a different harddrive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/79937-system-image-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 103.63%

I m amateur pc user Been trying fix problems all week Changed power box due to over heating used AVG amp Superantispyware Keeps asking to reboot and choose boot device and several hints of mysterious behavior inside machine Feels like something is eating it restore&recycle hard 2nd bin&2nd problem,system hard drive vanished, drive Unknown paranoid spirituality Anyone know what s going on Please be gentle with me Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare AWC exeC Program Files x ASUS AASP aaCenter exeC Program Files x SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files x Kontiki KHost exeC Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare Sup SmartRAM exeC Program Files x DT Utilities DT Utilities PC Backup Pro mgCtrl exeC Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exeC Program Files x AVG AVG avgtray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaTray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaServer exeC Windows Integrator exeC Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www facebook com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - Hosts localhostO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO ContributeBHO Class - C DC - - A A- D-C C - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO AskBar BHO - f d - - d - c -aa e ed - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - BHO QFX Software KeyScrambler - B F - A - - E -C B BC E - C Program Files x KeyScrambler KeyScramblerIE dllO - BHO AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files x Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO Google Gears Helper - E FEFE -FBF - AE-BA - CA E FB - C Program Files x Google Google Gears Internet Explorer gears dllO - BHO SmartSelect - F EE -DAA - - - D EE A - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar Contribute Toolbar - BDDE -E A - -B E- B B FC - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - Toolbar Ask Toolbar - d e-fd b- e -b - d b f - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - Toolbar AVG Security Toolbar - CCC A -B CA- -B A - F ... Read more

A:Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313758/unknown-problemsystem-restorerecycle-bin2nd-hard-drive-vanished-2nd-hard-drive/
Relevancy 103.63%

I have a Dell R I sent it for Image Load - Drive Hard New Can't System repairs because it wasn't booting up They replaced the motherboard and installed a new hard drive I had a Samsung SSD and now it's a regular hard drive I'm trying to do a system image restore New Hard Drive - Can't Load System Image to get all of applications back many of which I've had on there for years I had repair discs from the original hard drive and when I installed the SSD so I tried using both making sure the Legacy Boot was pulling from the DVD I received messages on both that there was no boot disc I tried creating a recovery USB drive changed the boot settings to pull from the USB I got all the way to the final screen and got a message quot Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has a different firmware The system image was created on a computer using EFI and this computer is using BIOS quot I also have the old hard drive but I don't know whether the drive is faulty or not because I didn't receive any information from the repair facility I called the repair company to assist with the system image restore and they said they couldn't help They only had my laptop for weeks trying to fix it I've also tried setups per recommendations from other threads but nothing is working Can you please help Zukini

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/72873-new-hard-drive-cant-load-system-image.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi there I am stack at certain process while trying to load Clone - System Drive Image Hard a system image onto new hard drive using Windows x image restore function from the windows disk its kind of strange but let me explain whats happening System Image - Hard Drive Clone I got my primary drive gigs with windows and all my files I made a system image onto another clean internal hard drive size gigs System Image - Hard Drive Clone and I was successful now I disconnected my gigs primary hard drive attached a new gig hard drive and I proceeded to load the system image I boot to windows cd I get the option to repair click on restore from system image file everything looks good computer finds the hard drive gigs with the system image as source I press next look for the target drive and I see it there gigs drive thats freshly formatted I select the target press next it all looks good and then I get the screen that there is no target hard drive I made sure that this hard drive is not being excluded from format and new process I am lost what am I doing wrong here I reformatted those drives twice I tried this operation about times I get the error message each time I am attempting to create this new system image can anyone help out thanks Drew

A:System Image - Hard Drive Clone

Have a look in the disk manager, sometimes disks have to be initialised before they can be seen by the system. Does it have a drive letter asigned ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/224135-system-image-hard-drive-clone.html
Relevancy 103.63%

I have a Dell R I sent it for repairs because it wasn't booting up They replaced the motherboard and installed a new hard drive I had a Load - Hard New Can't Image Drive System Samsung SSD and now it's a regular hard drive I'm trying to do a system image restore to get all of applications back many of which I've had on there for years I had repair discs from the original hard drive and when I installed the SSD so I tried using both making sure the Legacy Boot was pulling from the DVD I received messages on both that there was no boot disc I tried creating a recovery USB drive changed the boot settings to pull from the USB I got all the way to the final screen and got a message quot Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has a different firmware The system image was created on a computer using EFI and this computer is using BIOS quot I also have the old hard drive New Hard Drive - Can't Load System Image but I don't know whether the drive is faulty or not because I didn't receive any information from the repair facility I called the repair company to assist with the system image restore and they said they couldn't help They only had my laptop for weeks trying to fix it I've also tried setups per recommendations from other threads but nothing is working Can you please help Zukini

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/72873-new-hard-drive-cant-load-system-image.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hey guys I'm kinda annoyed because in the backup and restore panel it says that my system image is using 110.30 GB in my hard drive. How can I minimize the space it uses? And does it affect the performance of my laptop? Thanks a lot.

A:System Image file is using 100 GB of my hard drive

It's a good practice to back up to an external drive. If you have the system backup on the same drive that gets hit with a virus or has a failure, there's a good chance the restore image will be inaccessible or corrupted.

Hard drive prices are high lately, but until recently storage was a bargain.
Also as a benefit you don't have an image file just sitting there as dead weight.

A way to save when buying more than one external drive is to buy ordinary internal hard drive and get a USB docking station. The drive slides in the slot in the dock.

Just to give you an idea what they look like if you're not familiar with them:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ations&x=0&y=0

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/195359-system-image-file-using-100-gb-my-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi All,
My hard drive recently died but before that I made a System Image on my Iomega external hard drive. (Windows 7)

I have just had a new hard drive installed with Windows 7. I located the System Image backup on my external hard drive but can't find a way to install it. On the hard drive there is no way apparent to start the recovery.

I tried Control Panel/Recovery/ Advanced etc but all that comes up is LizPC (which was an extra backup for my Docs and Pics) It does not list the System Image which has my Keepass Password Manager on (hopefully)
which I need to set up my Windows Live Email account.

If anyone can help I would be enormously grateful as I am completely lost and have no passwords.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-restore-my-system-image-to-new-hard-drive.1164741/
Relevancy 103.63%

Ignore...sorry, figured out what I needed to!

A:System image to bigger hard drive

See how good these guys are ? ?......

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/35283-system-image-bigger-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi I've just spent a day taking System Image backup images of three nbsp different hard drives Well ok I didn't just nbsp sit and watch the bar move across the screen nbsp although it did hold up my computer Anyway what a waste of a day from my PC nbsp because when I try to restore using System Image backup from nbsp my nbsp USB drive the USB drive cannot be found I have followed the procedure on Image Restore see hard can't USB drive System page of Configuring Windows - precisely nbsp I nbsp tried booting from nbsp an OS DVD and a Windows Repair System Image Restore can't see USB hard drive DVD but no USB drive nbsp System Image Restore can't see USB hard drive I tried using a blank usb stick and that can't be found either nbsp The nbsp USB drive can be seen when I nbsp logon to Windows nbsp to get System Image Restore can't see USB hard drive the images on it Might this be more to do with hardware such as adjusting nbsp BIOS boot nbsp settings or updating BIOS firmware There seems to be nbsp others with unresolved problems like this Should I join them and buy Acronis instead Tx

A:System Image Restore can't see USB hard drive

Hi,

Could you please check the following newsgroup posts for your answer. The posts lists different scenarios that might work for you.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/9a082b90-bd7c-46f8-9eb3-9581f9d5efdd

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/11d8c552-a841-49ac-ab2e-445e6f95e704

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/9a082b90-bd7c-46f8-9eb3-9581f9d5efdd

Best Regards,
Kim Zhou

Please remember to click ?Mark as Answer? on the post that helps you, and to click ?Unmark as Answer? if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks for sending me these links and I will check them out. I think I came across most of the answer on the following link although doubts are raised: 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-restore-from-image-wont-recognize/ce8e3d0a-236d-4eff-8370-c171d2dfa555?tm=1333929198413&page=1#footer
Basically, I should have had three files on the external drive as follows:
a.      A file named: MediaID.bin

b.      A file that has the same named as your computer name (this is where the .zip files are located).

c.      The 'System Image' folder named 'WindowsImageBackup'.
By moving my backups into a folder out of the way and doing a fresh backup I prevented some confusion in the system. After this I could at last see the external drive and backup when doing a system image recovery. But how is
it be possible to store more than one backup of hard drives on an external disk? The only way I know is by moving backups in and out of a folder which will take ages to do. Maybe I can rename the unused backups but this will get confusing
because there are thee files to a backup and I think files are overwritten when doing backups if left in the route of the external drive. I is too easy to overwrite a backup of another drive by accident.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/839aaa45-edaf-4695-ab35-b91d2f8fd5ec/system-image-restore-cant-see-usb-hard-drive?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 103.63%

I have two old physical Seagate hard drives set up in the following configuration

C: - 160Gb used for the OS and program files
E: - 240Gb used for data storage

I want to replace the drive with the OS on with a new Western Digital hard drive (of the same size) as it's starting to get noisy and taking a while to access. So I figured the easiest way would be to use the System Image tool in Windows 7 and restore it.

I created the image of my 'C drive' onto an external hard drive, created the recovery disk and managed to restore the image onto the new hard drive. All has worked well except for I can't see the second hard drive that has all my data on it.

Any ideas where I may be going wrong?

A:Can't see second Hard drive after using System Image Recovery

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html
Screenshot tools.
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
Screenshot with Paint
Screenshot and Upload using MWSnap
fscapture free download

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/183801-cant-see-second-hard-drive-after-using-system-image-recovery.html
Relevancy 103.63%

I have been reading articles online that indicate if the target hard drive size is smaller than the source hard drive you cannot perform a restore. I believe I did a restore on my computer running 8.1 pro 64bit where I went from 1 tb to a 250 gb ssd.

So on my other computer being on Windows 7 64bit. I have a restore on an external HD and the size of the drive as the source was 1tb and the target is 500gb. It comes back to inform me the target ssd size is too small.

Any suggestions to make the restore onto the new ssd?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

A:Restore system image to new hard drive

Quote: Originally Posted by David from Az

I have been reading articles online that indicate if the target hard drive size is smaller than the source hard drive you cannot perform a restore.

This is true for Windows inbuilt imaging. I suggest you try (free) Macrium Reflect or pay a small amount and buy Paragon Migrate. Paragon is a simple turnkey approach. Macrium requires a little more effort:
SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
I think with Macrium 5 the "drag & drop" transfer takes care of the smaller destination partition and the alignment.

If you can't make a new image and "must" use an old Windows image then you can try to attach/mount the old image vhd then use Macrium. This tutorial describes the basic process.
System Image - Recover a Broken Windows 7 System Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/338900-restore-system-image-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.77%

I m running windows on a Sony Vaio VGN FZ e For the past Found.. System Hard Drive? Operating No New few weeks I ve heard beeps from my computer and it crashed blue screen once these did not happen often so I figured they weren t much on an issue Today when I turned it on I got a message quot Operating System Not Found quot It will not boot No Operating System Found.. New Hard Drive? I ve tried inserting the windows disc to try the repair option but when I boot from disk it says quot loading windows files quot at the bottom and goes straight to the starting windows screen where No Operating System Found.. New Hard Drive? it freezes rather than to a point where I have an option to install or repair I have tried going into the BIOS and moving boot from disc up and then back to defaults I m not sure if my hard drive went bad or if something else is keeping my laptop from booting because it appears from the BIOS that the computer does recognize that a hard drive is connected says memory GB or whatever Can anyone point me in the right direction please Should I order a new hard drive and start over or are there still other options to rescue my files nbsp

Relevancy 102.77%

Hi
My friend gave me her laptop because her hard drive crashed and wanted me to fix it or install a new hdd. So I tried recovery console, no go. So I tried to re-install XP and it wouldn't work either. So I got a new hdd.

I've installed it and put the XP disc (proper disc not recovery disc) into the drive. The pc says "no operating system found" on a black screen. I can't seem to enter the BIOS either because when I hit F8 it does nothing. The last time I was in the BIOS it was set to run from the CD-rom drive.

Any ideas?? I need to get this laptop up and running again.

A:operating system not found - new hard drive

galaga-girl said:

. I can't seem to enter the BIOS either because when I hit F8 it does nothing.Click to expand...

Are you sure the computer uses F8 to enter the BIOS mode? Windows uses F8 at start up to let you chose what mode you want to run. Some computer may use the DEL, ESC or the F2 key to access the BIOS settings at start up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/operating-system-not-found-new-hard-drive.879641/
Relevancy 102.77%

I just inherited a Compaq EVO N115 and within a week I got the hard drive click of death and "Operating System Not Found." so I ordered a new hard drive, same as the old one (IBM TravelStar 10GB.) I got it today, put it in my computer, and there is no click, but I get the same message! Am I missing something really obvious like having to initialize it or something? Help! And thank you!

A:"operating System Not Found" Even With New Hard Drive!

Did the hard disk had an OS?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/151575/operating-system-not-found-even-with-new-hard-drive/
Relevancy 102.34%

Hi All,

It's time to format my hard drive. It hasn't been formatted since 2008 when it was bought and it's having some major issues.

I made a system image. when i was installing it, I couldn't check the option to "get rid of the partitions and format the hd". It requested the drivers, asked me to insert the disc, but I don't have any disc with the drivers.

Is there another way to install the same system image I've made and get the hard drive formatted too?

Relevancy 102.34%

Hi I am running a new latitude e -bit and I am trying to create system image to a new hard drive I New create restore system hard drive image and purchased create system image and restore New hard drive when I bought the new computer for back up The new drive is WD Blue Scorpio I loaded win pro on the new create system image and restore New hard drive drive and did create system image When I tried to restore system image it says restore failed I called WD and they said I create system image and restore New hard drive had to remove win pro and only do a format then create system image I tried that and now it will do the system image but when I load it in to my computer it can not find bootmgr is missing and I have to shut down I am doing the system image through my USB port onto my new hard drive I have done this before with no problems now I have been trying for over a week and it still won t work Can you tell me where I can find information on creating a system Image and Restore on a New hard drive TIA harriet

A:create system image and restore New hard drive

Can you clarify
1) You have a PC with Windows 7 Pro installed?
2) You bought a new HDD as a "cold" standby / backup drive in case the normal drive fails?
3) You don't plan to have both HDDs installed together?
4) What is the size of existing and new HDDs?

5) What's the partition structure of your existing HDD
Partition descriptions, Sizes
screen shot from disk management would help but don't worry at this stage if you don't know how to do it.

Suggest you delete your personal email address from the post. Communicate through the forum.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/130186-create-system-image-restore-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.34%

When I replaced my hard drive to go from 160 GB to 500 GB, I restored a system image in Windows 7 from an external drive. Now the new drive works great, but windows still reports it as having approx 160 GB. In the BIOS setup it recognizes it as 500 GB. It there a way to have Windows recognize the whole thing, or is there another partition that I can't see?

Thanks

A:Restoring system image to larger hard drive

I believe you will find unallocated disk space. Please refer to the following:

Partition or Volume - Extend

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/114248-restoring-system-image-larger-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Despite the great help I received yesterday, I am still in the same boat. I am trying to "clean up" my Dell Inspiron 1012 (Dell Mini). It does not have a CD drive...only USB ports. I have an external hard drive connected to one of the USB ports. The computer has the Windows 7 Professional OS (although the computer came from the factory with 7 Basic; I used Windows anytime upgrade). Anyway, I want to use the Windows "create system image" option to backup, wipe clean, and restore. Will the computer boot from the USB? Any pointers on this process? I really appreciate the forum help!!!!

Patrick

A:Restoring via system image using external hard drive

The ISO can be downloaded from Windows 7 Direct Download Links, Official Disk Images from Digital River . You can put on usb flash stick by doing Windows USB/DVD Download Tool - Microsoft Store

Does the machine boot from that stick? If so... with that stick you can "wipe clean" and do the win7 built-in restore. Use USB2 ports .... most likely usb3 doesn't work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/357573-restoring-via-system-image-using-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I am seeking advice on how best to replace my existing main hard drive which is partitioned into a C Drive and a D drive as each half of this hard are nearly full The C Drive is used for the Windows operating system and programmes the D drive is used for my User files and documents The existing hard drive is a GB hard drive and partitioned into two GB drives I have now bought a TB hard drive and would like to Burn to new backup Image drive hard System partition it on same basis and use it for the same purposes I have used the Windows System s Start Menu gt gt Control Panel gt gt System amp Security gt gt Backup and Restore gt gt Create Burn System Image backup to new hard drive System Image to create a System Image and have stored this backup onto an external hard drive Both C and D drives were included in this same backup How do I now burn the backup System Image onto my new TB hard drive Will I have to reactivate windows as well as MS Office again as well as other Burn System Image backup to new hard drive programmes Any help in step Burn System Image backup to new hard drive by step instructions would be greatly appreciated

A:Burn System Image backup to new hard drive

I can't give you exact instructions because I don't use that particular imaging program.

But generally---you don't "burn the backup". You "restore" it, using the same program you used to make the backup.

You might have complicated things by putting C and D in the same image file. I'm not sure if they can be restored separately, but I doubt it.

You should not have to reactivate anything and all programs should operate with no issues.

If the restore process goes well--you cannot count on that.

Someone else will have detailed instructions, but there should be a tutorial on this site.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/155060-burn-system-image-backup-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hi. I have 2 1.5 TB internal hard drives for a Windows 7, 64 bit Pro system.

My second hard drive keeps getting filled up by huge (200-400 GB) files that are apparently generated by System Restore and System Image.

I'd like to keep the System Restore functionality, but is there a way to limit the size of this to something reasonable? (say less than 50 GB)

Currently have a 400 GB System Image file with .vhd extension. Is it safe to simply delete that? And can I limit the size of these files as well or simply prevent them from being generated?

Thanks

A:System restore and image filling hard drive

You can reduce disk space taken up by system restore and also clean up old points.

Make System Restore Use Less Drive Space in Windows 7 - How-To Geek

As for the backup image, just delete the folder WindowsImageBackup, it will deletes all existing images. Next time you create an image, it'll be recreated. You can also save images externally.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/146202-system-restore-image-filling-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I have read similar problems I am having now but NONE have so far as i have read with a solution gt Firstly my situation is this I HAVE RECENTLY SUCCESSFULLY restored my pc from a previously created system image using default External Move Drive to System Hard Another How to Image windows i have no question regarding How to Move System Image to Another External Hard Drive the process procedure on file recovery system image etc fyi gt My only concern now is that the system image i used to restore my pc is located on my old GB WD External Hard Drive Today i found out that my External Hard Drive Health is only at with alot of weak sectors again i have no question on process procedure on correcting the weak sectors fyi gt I have a new TB WD External Hard Drive and I want to move the system image from the old GB External Hard Drive to this new TB External Hard Drive I do not want to create a new system image at this time right now by any other method I am satistfied with the default windows system image file recovery gt gt Can anyone PLEASE EXPLAIN how to i move the system image from my old GB External Hard Drive to How to Move System Image to Another External Hard Drive my new TB External Hard Drive gt gt Can this be done by the simple COPY PASTE CUT PASTE or how to MOVE the system image CORRECTLY A hearty thanks to everyone

A:How to Move System Image to Another External Hard Drive

On something so large and so very important, you should use Robocopy in command prompt.(sorry I've never need to use it, so I personally have no experience, but maybe someone else can.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/66990-how-move-system-image-another-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.34%

The Background Yesterday a computer in our office started misbehaving Over the weekend several Windows hard Image System drive external Create an of updates were installed On Monday the user would open windows explorer and within seconds or so he was prompted with a message saying something to the effect of quot windows encountered an error and had to close quot All the windows including software such as Outlook and AutoCad would then close There was no restart or shut down just everything closing This happened repeatedly I instructed him to find a restore point He later told me the only restore points available were from Friday and then over the weekend so he chose the latest one that being Friday After Create System Image of an external hard drive the restore was complete the machine began to run through the normal boot process However once the windows symbol fully displayed it would go to the black screen that normally briefly appears before your desktop appears but the desktop never appears The machine beeps and then re-boots After the re-boot you get the normal screen that prompts you with two choices launch a repair or start normally In either case you get the same result as I just mentioned The Question Unfortunately a system image of the troubled machine was never created I pulled the hard drive and with a SATA adapter I connected it to a working machine and was able to read the drive with no problems Can I create a system image of the now quot external hard drive quot I would then use that system image which would be saved on our network to try an restore the ailing machine Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Rob

A:Create System Image of an external hard drive

Try this: Imaging with free Macrium

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/313077-create-system-image-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I just installed a new hard drive after my previous one failed to new Restored Installed drive Image can't get System but a hard start up I have a backup Installed a new hard drive but can't get System Image Restored image stored on an external WD Passport The install went well I turn on my tower with the Windows recovery disc in start up System Image Restore and plug in my Passport The system restore recognizes my Passport and when I go through the wizard to reformat and partition the disk to match the layout of the recovery image I get an error message saying quot The system image restore failed No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found hyperlink Details quot Details states quot No disck that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found Try the following A probable system disk may have been excluded by mistake a Review the list of disks that you have excluded from the recovery for a likely disk b Type LIST DISK command in the DISKPART command interpreter The probable system disk is usually the first disk listed c If possible remove the disk from the exclusion list and then retry the recovery Tried that my disk is not listed as an exclusion A USB disk may have been assigned as a system disk a Detach all USB disks from the computer b Reboot into Windows Recovery Environment then reattach USB disks and retry the recovery Tried that also no luck An invalid disk may have been assigned as system disk a Physically detach the disk from your computer Then reboot in WinRE to retry the recovery Same as Help please

A:Installed a new hard drive but can't get System Image Restored

Any help please???

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/196553-installed-new-hard-drive-but-cant-get-system-image-restored.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hey guys..
I am new to this forum.. Recently i upgraded my system to windows 8..N after clean install i backed up the copy of my C drive (Includes System Image) to my external 2TB Hard Drive.. It took around 250GB of hard drive space..Now since i am running out of space i decided to delete the back up copy from My hard drive.. I deleted WindowsImageBackup and all associated files using control panel..But around 150GB space is missing(not visible) from my external Hard Drive.. Plz tell me what to do??

As You can see from attached pic that 125 GB free out of 1.81TB..But size of all files including hidden files is 1.53TB..Plz guys help me..

A:Not Able to delete system image from External Hard Drive

Hello Fireboy, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Could you post a screenshot of the root of your external HDD showing what folders is on it?

In addition, please post a screenshot of your Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) showing the full layout of the external HDD.

For now, using the free program WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics on the external HDD should be able to help ID what is using the space.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/20624-not-able-delete-system-image-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hello!!!

I have 640GB WD hard disk and i created system image of Drive C and system reserved drive. Backup successfully completed and afterward i disconnected my 640GB HDD and connect new one which is 320GB and now i want to restore my system image to 320GB WD HDD. I tried it but it gave me error saying "element not found". Please tell me how can i restore system image that was created from 640GB HDD to 320GB HDD?

Thanks!!!

A:Restore Windows 7 System Image to another hard drive!!!

What drive did you create the backup image on? Do you have the win7 install DVD ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/142522-restore-windows-7-system-image-another-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I used Macrium to make a system image of my existing drive onto a new hard drive and I made the system rescue boot disk too. (HP all-in-one desktop)

I'm not certain about the next step. Do I just replace the old drive with the new one and boot up? It is a system image, so why not? What is boot disk for?

A:Does my system image to a new hard drive make it bootable?

Quote: Originally Posted by drezzle

I used Macrium to make a system image of my existing drive onto a new hard drive and I made the system rescue boot disk too. (HP all-in-one desktop)

I'm not certain about the next step. Do I just replace the old drive with the new one and boot up? It is a system image, so why not? What is boot disk for?

That should work fine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/264497-does-my-system-image-new-hard-drive-make-bootable.html
Relevancy 101.48%

When turning on the computer I get a message that no hard drive is found. I was able to do a system restore to the default settings and then the computer works fine.
Then I start getting a blue screen that says internal kernal error or something like that and I start getting the original no hard drive is found message when turning on the computer.
I'm not sure if this means I need a new hard drive or motherboard or both. I need help diagnosing this problem.
I have a Dell Inspiron E-1505 running on SP XP 3.

Thank you!!

A:Hard Drive only found when Default System Restore Done

Quote:

no hard drive is found

'
You're HDD is failing. If you can access the HDD backup your files immediately to an external USB HDD. Then replace the HDD and reinstall Windows.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-only-found-when-default-system-restore-done-683953.html
Relevancy 101.48%

My computer crashed, I put in my recovery CD and it said
"Operating system: Unknown on (Unknown) Local Disk"

Then i went into the command prompt and put "diskpart", then "list disk", and it shows up like this:

DISKPART> list disk

DISK ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
--------- -------- ------ ----- --- ---
Disk 0 .. No Media 0 B 0 B

Will I have to get a new hard drive? Should I put "select disk 0" and then "clean"?

Relevancy 101.48%

I really don't know the best way to phrase this situation but here goes the QUESTION part should have been last but in case you don't want to read the background or don't need to I put it first QUESTION How can I make a System Image of a secondary hard drive I e one that is not currently running Windows and is instead connected as an additional local (Backup) Image System on Hard the non-Windows Drive Creating disk so for example have Windows running off of the C drive but make a System Image of the D drive which also has a Windows partition Background One of my desktop's hard drives failed last week It can't load windows but it can appear as another local disk when plugged into another desktop via SATA cable AND I can still access the files on the failed hard drive this way I was able to transfer my essential files documents schoolwork music etc but I know that when I get a new hard drive install Windows and transfer my stuff back I'll still be missing a lot of quot program files quot type of stuff Again don't know how to say this I mean like system-specific runtime files and registry Creating System Image (Backup) on the non-Windows Hard Drive entries maybe One example of this a Creating System Image (Backup) on the non-Windows Hard Drive DJ software that makes playlist files with music and integrated transitions effects etc however the Creating System Image (Backup) on the non-Windows Hard Drive software must have access to the music index path to manipulate the songs within the program and playlist files The playlist files are proprietary to the system on which they were first created in this case on the now-failed hard drive so when I tried to copy those playlist files to my laptop--which had the EXACT same music library and at the same path as the failed hard drive did--they were still unable to load I had tried this months ago but I have since then gotten a new laptop and have yet to rebuild its library but I am pretty sure I still won't be able to salvage those playlist files on another system Other examples include shutdown sleep timers and system calendar events I've programmed in from a long time ago to keep recurring yeah I'm really nerdy like that It is for reasons like this that I want to create a system image of this drive instead of just copying the files If there is another option like copying the registry or something like that I would be willing to do that also I just don't want to lose the system-specific attributes from the failed hard drive Any help is much appreciated Thanks in advance

A:Creating System Image (Backup) on the non-Windows Hard Drive

You might want to give this great program a go:
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
Once you make an image you can mount it and extract what you want. If your old HDD has corruptions and in particular file system corruptions you may have problems but it's worth a go.
This tutorial may help
Imaging with free Macrium

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/317065-creating-system-image-backup-non-windows-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Ok so i have bought a new hard drive for my netbook, which currently has windows 7 32 bit installed

I need to backup all my installed programs/system and re-install on the new hard drive.
Whats the easiest way to go about doing this without using 3rd party software.
Files/Librarys are of no concern

Everywhere i have looked i am told:

- Need to create a system image to recover from (check)
- need to make a bootable USB Drive (cant do because i dont have a windows 7 CD or a CD drive) to install windows 7 from

I have a recovery partition on my current HDD but i dont know how to go about doing this

p.s. I have an external hard drive i can use, aswell as an 8gb USB stick

A:New Hard Drive for a Netbook - System Image/Bootable USB disk

I know absolutely nothing about netbooks.

But if the procedure is the same as on a PC, you would:

1: Make an image file of your current hard drive using Windows Backup and store the image on your external hard drive
2: Install the new hard drive
3: Restore the image from the external hard drive to the new hard drive

No need for USB stick.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/182621-new-hard-drive-netbook-system-image-bootable-usb-disk.html
Relevancy 101.48%

I've decided to Very Light Not System Slow, Hard On Restoration Drive Image system restore to a very old system image February rd I'm doing this instead of a factory reset because I can't find my Microsoft Word Excel PPT licenses Also I have a student version of MATLAB that I would not System Image Restoration Very Slow, Hard Drive Light Not On be able to reinstall This is the closest I can get to starting fresh before upgrading to Windows There is so much crap on my computer I've tried sifting through it to delete a bunch of stuff but many times it claims that a file is in use or open and can't be deleted So I'm just reverting to an old system image when my laptop was only about months old I got it in June of I made a new system image last night just incase I missed backing up something This took about hours for some reason The system image was like gb Today I went through the control panel to get to recovery and then started the process of restoring to a previous image It's been going for about hrs now Should I expect it to take as long as the image I just took Here are some pics I hope I am allowed to post links I didn't see it in the rules Note that I have control over the caps lock and num lock Also that the hard drive light doesn't light up My computer is not sleeping or else the power button at the top right would be blinking The display is not on This is an ASUS laptop I don't know of this everything is still OK The hard drive light never blinking or anything is making me think my laptop isn't doing anything Caps Lock and num lock are on - Imgur Both locks are off - Imgur rd light - Imgur Light and external power with battery - Imgur

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/382822-system-image-restoration-very-slow-hard-drive-light-not.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Hi All,

This is where I am I have an Dell Inspiron 15 n5050 which came with 500GB Seagate Momentous 5400RPM hard drive....
now its gone and wont spin at all so I am replacing it with 750GB Seagate Momentous 5400RPM Hard Drive will the System Image still work on that....

or I have to Start fresh

A:Is the System Image of windows 7 compatible with Hard drive upgrade

Danny121222, welcome to the windows 7 forum.

Windows 7 image backup will restore to a larger hard disk, just not a smaller one. Making sure that you create the boot disk that
the image program has you create.

I have done it lots of times. When you restore the image to your larger disk, you might have extra space at the end which you will have to extend your C drive size to include that unused space..

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/309276-system-image-windows-7-compatible-hard-drive-upgrade.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Ok massive tale of woe here I was using my computer last week when it shut down unexpectedly I couldn't get it too boot back up properly and when I tried to access system recovery and startup repair I couldn't use them either I worked out that I had an unmountable boot volume problem I fixed it by reseting the computer back to factory default and planned to load back my last system image once I could get into Windows Unfortunately Partial on Image external drive access system hard I didn't realise that my last system image wasn't complete and I don't have any earlier ones This basically means that Windows doesn't recognise is as a full image and I Partial system Image access on external hard drive can't restore it I have a vhd file that is a copy of my C drive and another partial vhd of the boot partition I need to get some files of my C drive vhd file but when I mount it in Win it just says that it is a RAW drive and I can't access it I've tried mounting it in Parted Magic to no avail Does anyone know any way I can either access the image or just restore the whole think to where my C drive is now I've already tried to recover lost files but that just left me with over misplaced files what I would have to traverse through trying to find what I need I'm at my wits end can someone please help me

A:Partial system Image access on external hard drive

A long shot:

I assume that for a valid system image, it needs to be in the original folder (WindowsImageBackup) on the ORIGINAL drive it was on AND the associated shadow storage entry ("vssadmin list shadows" command) must be around.

Here's what you could try. Save the C: vhd somewhere safe. If you have a working version/image of Windows, take another system image (reserved/boot partition and C). Do a TAKEOWN of the WindowsImageBackup file and delete the larger of the 2 .vhd files (in \Backup YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder) which will be your C partition image. Then copy your older C .vhd file into that same \Backup directory.

This is probably unlikely to work as there may be stuff in those xml files or the \Catalog folder that won't let things be missing or switched. Or something within the Shadow entry information that is used to double-check that all the pieces are there. But it's worth a shot.

I've never tried mounting a .vhd via Disk Management, but they're supposed to mount just fine from what I've read.

It looks like the GUID-thingy in the .vhd file name is the same for a drive every time a system image is taken.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/204938-partial-system-image-access-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Last April my hard drive running Vista crashed I received a new one with no OS and my school installed windows professional on it giving me the MSDN-AA quot Enterprise quot product key but no install disk I have since graduated and my hard drive has crashed again I've been able to make a system repair disk but it won't let me make a system image or back up because the shadow copy is no same system New key, no image, prod. drive, install Hard disk?! timing out New Hard drive, same prod. key, no system image, no install disk?! I'm only getting my files to an external HD by copying and pasting Windows won't mail me a disk because they say my school has to do it Since I have graduated my school won't mail me the install disk even though I still have my old product key My new hd comes on monday with no OS I have the Vista installation CD's so I suppose I'll install Vista for now but I'd like to re-install Windows onto the clean disk or at least upgrade vista to windows - any ideas

A:New Hard drive, same prod. key, no system image, no install disk?!

Unfortunately, since you no longer qualify for the MSDNAA option, you will need to purchase a retail/upgrade version of Windows 7..

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/105737-new-hard-drive-same-prod-key-no-system-image-no-install-disk.html
Relevancy 101.48%

I have a WD Passport portable hard drive. I can backup my files to it on Windows 7 with no problem. However, it will not let me make a system image disc because it says the Passport is not formatted with NTFS. The properties tab on the Passport says it is formatted with NTFS as the default. How can I make a system image disc on the Passport without a cd/dvd drive or get it to recognize the Passport has NTFS formatting? Please help!

A:How to make a system image disc with a portable hard drive?

Go to Disk Management and re-format the drive.
START | type diskmgmt.msc

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-make-a-system-image-disc-with-a-portable-hard-drive-475424.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Recently I did a System Image Recovery from an image created from a 320 GB HD. This old hard drive has problems. Buy a 1 TB new drive and did an Image Recovery on to the new drive. When I check directory of the new drive, W 7 only shows there is only 320 GB . How can I get the remaining capacity recognized?

A:system image recovery to a higher capacity hard drive

This is normal. You need to extend the partition to the right using Disk Management. Right click the partition in Disk Management and select Extend.

Edit: Fixed link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569072/system-image-recovery-to-a-higher-capacity-hard-drive/
Relevancy 101.48%

I know there are posts about this, and I've tried using their suggestions, but i still can't get the system image restore to see my external hard drive or the image file. when i'm in windows itself, i can see the files, but when i try to restore the image,
neither is being recognized.  I don't want to lose what i have on there. is there anything anyone can do?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a0b64f22-121e-42b3-9e47-30186ae418a0/external-hard-drive-not-recognized-when-trying-to-restore-system-image?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 101.05%

What should I do when my notebook system quick test says my hard drive SMART check failed?Failure Id: 9LPBSK-7SC875-XD7WLK-608Y03PRODUCT ID: T0X74PA#UUF

Solved!
View Solution.

A:System quick test: hard drive SMART check failed

Replace the hard drive is all you can do. That is a fairly new laptop is it still under warranty?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/System-quick-test-hard-drive-SMART-check-failed/td-p/5728024
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi guys, thanks for looking.

I've been attempting to install windows on an advent 9515 with a new hard drive however all of the usb boot disks I create return "Operating system not found" I've tested them at boot in other computers and they work fine there. I have tried with windows 7 and 8, I have succeeded with installing ubuntu onto the machine (so the machine at least works).

I have tried other hard drives with windows already installed on them with the same effect, I would have expected it to at least try and load then error out after that. What is going on here?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/operating-system-not-found-on-windows-usb-keys-and-hard-drive.1046014/
Relevancy 100.62%

Hard Drive Installation Problem

I am trying to move a hard drive that was installed on an AMD processor
system to a computer with a Pentium 4 motherboard. The drive has Windows XP installed. What do I need to do to get this to work. Ultimately I want to install a new hard drive and move the files over from the old one that was installed in the AMD system.

A:Hard Drive Problem - Moving hard drive from AMD system to Pentium system

Should be a simple move

There is nothing uniquely different about a computer with an AMD vs Intel processor. The hard drive, which I assume is your only drive, is not a processor dependent peripheral. Bringing up a new motherboard, however, will trigger plug and play reinstalls for most of your peripherals--sound "card", video card, modem, e.t.c.

When you install a "new" hard drive you will need devise a cut over procedure. Usually, what I do is as follows:

- Install the new drive as a slave drive, keeping the old drive (i.e. C: ) as the master. The new drive will have no partitions and will not be formatted. Jumpers will have to be set on each drive to accomplish this.

- Using Partition Magic, or a similar utility, copy the primary partition from C: to the new drive which will now assigned drive letter D.

- If you have other drive letters in use, and you intend to retire the old drive, copy each letter to the extended partition on the new drive. If you intend to keep you old drive as a slave drive you can leave the additional drive letters alone.

- After all of the copying is done you must now reverse the master/slave jumpers on each drive. Your new drive will be drive C, your old drives primary partition will become drive D.

Until everything seems to be working OK for a week or two I usually "hide" my old primary partition, which is now drive D. You can then either delete and reformat the old primary partition (now hidden) or keep it as a backup in case you have a disaster on your new C: drive.

Do check out the internet (Google, Yahoo or whatever) and you will find there are many procedures written to accomplish the above.

:slurp:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-problem-moving-hard-drive-from-amd-system-to-pentium-system.18519/
Relevancy 100.19%

I have a new PC, previously I had a 320 GB HD, this one has 1TB I have put on four or so programs, how long should it take to make an initial system image to DVD, I have a set of 4.7 GB DVD+R 16x disks.

Thanks.

Relevancy 100.19%

I've ordered a new hard drive for my laptop to replace the current 160 GB it has. It should arrive very soon so I've just tried to create a system image of my C:/ drive but when choosing where to save the image I am not able to select my external hard drive, instead it blanks it out the on hard disk option and goes straight to the DVD or Network option.

The hard drive works fine in Windows 7 for normal operation, it is a IOMEGA 250 GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive. It does however have files already on it, it's free space is 195 GB.

Does it need more free space, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

James

A:Unable to select external hard drive to save a system image

I don't know what I did, but after messing around with drive letters and paths I managed to get my external hard drive to appear in the list and it is currently saving a system image of my C:/ drive right now. Fingers crossed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/151138-unable-select-external-hard-drive-save-system-image.html
Relevancy 100.19%

i try to backup my laptop data using system image recovery.. In the process, the system told me that 'the backup could take up to 16 GB of disc space.' So, i just create another partition (17 GB) on my external hard disc as a backup location. The process went smoothly. But unfortunately, all my external hard disc partition has been deleted and there is only one partition (RECOVERY 31.9GB ) that include recovery data is created.. Is it any way that i can apply to get back my deleted partition?

A:System image recovery has deleted my external hard drive partition

Hi Fuadansari

Can you please tell us the manufacturer and the model of the hard drive that was overwritten.

I've done that process so I think that I understand what happened. Is it an Acer laptop?

The most important thing at this point is that you DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE AFFECTED DRIVE. That means do not format it or do anything that may alter the data that is currently on it.

James

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/483524/system-image-recovery-has-deleted-my-external-hard-drive-partition/
Relevancy 98.47%

As the title suggests, I have two problems:

When I start my laptop, it shows the HP logo, begins to boot and is almost instantly interrupted by a white screen that scrolls down from the top. It reboots right after the white screen.

I am able at the HP logo screen able to navigate to System Restore and that is where I run into my next problem.

When the System Restore window opens for confirmation it shows that "Local Disk (C) (System)" status: "Ready to restore" and the check-box next to it is checked.

The next line has a empty check-box for "Local Disk (C)" with the status: "The drive cannot be found."

I can also succesfully boot into Safe Mode with Networking. I can access all my files. Which leads me to believe that it is a hardware problem. Possibly the motherboard or graphics card.

Relevancy 97.18%

My hard drive failed last Saturday reading quot operating system not found readable) hard drive? recovery an old (failed vista using of new a partition still Installing the drive on but quot BIOS testing resulted in error Installing vista on a new hard drive using the recovery partition of an old (failed but still readable) drive? replace hard drive At this point the drive won t boot but data can still be read I have a new hard drive The backup disk I made for Vista isn t working I thought of borrowing one from a friend but my OEM key on the bottom has completely worn off Installing vista on a new hard drive using the recovery partition of an old (failed but still readable) drive? HP says they cannot help and Microsoft wants me to pay for a replacement key I d like to avoid that if possible Is there any way to use the recovery partition on the old drive to install Vista on the new drive My laptop has two hard drive bays but I only have one caddy so ideally I d like to connect it using an enclosure Also I do have access to another computer that I could use as a quot go-between quot if needed For example if it s possible to simply copy and paste the recovery partition files I could use the enclosure to copy them from the old drive to the working computer then put the new drive in the enclosure and copy the files onto that Any advice appreciated Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/414230/installing-vista-on-a-new-hard-drive-using-the-recovery-partition-of-an-old-failed-but-still-readable-drive/
Relevancy 95.89%

I want to backup my 2 XP PCs with this product (Symantec Drive Image 7). Can anyone comment on this scenario. I should have said that I want to output to a USB 2.0 External Hardrive.

A:Hard Drive Backup Solution - Symantec Drive Image 7

Originally posted by Rick
Works fine...... .......

Of course, the trade off is reliability. Drive image 7 is plagued with bugs and problems, many of which the latest patch address, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are still a few big ones in there.

But yes, this program will be perfect for your scenario as long as your external hard drive has enough free space for images of both PCs.Click to expand...

I have used this program for a couple years, with no problems, Rick your the first I have heard this opinion from. Although I will admit 2 things .My copy is pre Symantec takeover ,ver 7.01( which I will not update at Symantec without a fight) and ,I have never done a poll!

Squeaky I use the exact same setup for my back-ups. I use file verification which is slow , But I have a clean install image file ,then I only back up Data to seperate Image to speed things up.. (just a hint that you might can use.)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-backup-solution-symantec-drive-image-7.12338/
Relevancy 95.89%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1440 using since 2010 suddenly I saw this error message "internal hard disk drive not found,to resolve this issue try to reseat the drive" when I turned it ON. Then I tested with other HDD drive from other laptop and it booted fine. Then realized that HDD was down brought a new samsung SSD 120GB drive and installed on my laptop and trying to install the Windows 7 from a CD still seeing the same error when turned ON.
Please help with this issue.
Thanks in Advance
ROHIT

A:internal hard disk drive not found,to resolve this issue try to reseat the drive.............Please help

Thanks guys!!!!!
My bad after I installed the SSD the CD that was in the DVD Drive was the Applications/Driver CD instead of Windows 7 disk. I just realized  and installed the Win7 on my new hard disk my laptop is back to normal. Thank God! I saved 500 to get the new laptop.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19528713
Relevancy 95.89%

Hi,

I am trying to re-install xp pro on my Toshiba Notebook with an external DVD drive. I am able to boot from the drive and the blue "windows setup" screen begins to load.

After I press enter to set up Window XP, it says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your comptuer...Press F3 to quit.

I am stumped. If I quit setup and I can reboot and load my original windows. Therefore, the hard disk is present and works fine.

How do I get the windows setup to see the hard drive and proceed with setup?

Thanks.
Dw1256

A:Solved: Install Windows with External Dvd Drive - Hard drive not found?

It is usually because the installation cannot recognise the SATA driver for the hard disc
If you have a usb drive load from Toshiba the sata controller drivers
so on the screen for the install you press F6 load drivers and then load the sata driver from the usb - I say usb as I presume you do not have a floppy drive
OR you can include them in a reburnt CD using nLite but that is a longer way round the problem
Nlite

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part2.html

OR you can TRY try this

Enter your BIOS/Setup Utility
Locate the Serial ATA or SATA configuration section
I’ve seen this section called ‘On Chip Config’ on some Phoenix Award BIOS

On Lenovo/IBM ThinkPads it’s in Config > Serial ATA (Sata)
Change the mode of the SATA controller from AHCI to IDE or Compatibility
Save & Exit
Reboot and begin the Windows Setup again.
If Windows Setup successfully detects your hard disk this time then go ahead and perform the Windows Setup.
When Windows setup completes change the mode back to AHCI in the BIOS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-install-windows-with-external-dvd-drive-hard-drive-not-found.1120234/
Relevancy 95.03%

My old Seagate 1TB hard drive was filled to 780GB out of the 1TB. Since I was getting close to filled I upgraded to a WD Black 2TB. I used the Windows 7 back up to create a complete system image. I replaced the hard drive with the WD then did a system restore from the image. Everything works fine and everything looks exactly the same except the new hard drive is only showing 322GB used out of the 2TB. I now have both hard drives in the computer and opened up the contents side by side, they both contain the same files and folders. The 1TB drive is showing 780GB used and the 2TB drive is only showing 322GB used. Am I missing something here? Shouldn't they both have the same amount of space used?

A:New hard drive using less space after image restore then old drive?

I think it only copy your operating system drive to your new disk?
You can check your disks in Disk Management. And also you can create new volumes there.
Right click on Computer - Manage. You will see Disk Management.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/372205-new-hard-drive-using-less-space-after-image-restore-then-old-drive.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi guys,

Would I run into problems restoring a drive image I made in DriveImage XML to another hard drive? If not, does the hard drive have to be the same size? thanks!

A:Solved: Restore Hard Drive Image to another drive?

Of course not, thats one of the main purposes of making an image, so you have a backup to use and to perhaps use on another drive. Most drive imaging software will expand the image to fit the size of the new drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-restore-hard-drive-image-to-another-drive.1013605/
Relevancy 93.31%

So this really irritates me because I just spent hundreds of dollars sending my laptop to HP last year because the hard drive completely failed. I have a 1TB hybrid hard drive and 22Gb solid state used for caching.  When I booted up my computer Intel Rapid Storage Technology said there was an issue.  When I opened it, it says that the status of: SATA disk (932 GB)(System) Accelerated, is Failed.  My SATA_Array_0001 22GB is fine though.  So I ran a System Quick Test,everything passed except Hard Drive Short DST Check: FAILEDFAILURE ID: Q4MP7Q-6RA82U-MFGJWK-60W303 This is weird because other than the computer telling me there is something wrong every time I restart it, It seems to run just fine.  Im just worried because I don't want it to randomly die on me one day.  

A:SATA disk failed and Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed

Hi there @nmulji,  Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and understand that the Hard Drive in your HP ENVY TouchSmart 15t-j100 Select Edition CTO Notebook PC failed the Short DST Check.  SMART (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology System) uses a technology known as predictive failure analysis to tell you when a hard drive failure is imminent. Have you tried to Restore the BIOS? If not, please try this step first. Then, just to be on the safe side, back up your data that way it does not get lost. However, there might be certain conditions that cause a hard drive failure message to display when a problem does not exist (a false positive). To fix false positive hard drive errors, please try updating the hard drive firmware. You can check whether an update is available by going to the  Get software and drivers page. You will need to put in your Model Number and then click the links that pertain to the computer configuration and see if a hard drive update is available.  You could also try to do a  Disk Defragment to consolidate files and move them to another section of the drive where errors are less likely to occur. Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting. Thanks! 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/SATA-disk-failed-and-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-Check-Failed/td-p/5596311
Relevancy 92.45%

I'm trying to wipe secure erase my computer hard drive and put it back to factory settings--the computer is getting sold From reading the forums I realize I can use clean all or other programs to write over the quot deleted quot data with ones or zeros However my plan of action was to Use system recovery to system the a data save "deleted" hard on image Does drive put the computer back to factory settings Create a system image Use clean all from the command prompt to wipe the drive Reinstall Windows via installation CD Restore via system image The one problem is that I don't know if a system image saves absolutely everything including data that had been quot deleted quot and is still present on the hard drive but is designated by the computer to be written over I'm worried that if I do this I'll just be undoing my attempt at securely erasing my hard drive and the quot deleted quot data will still be available for people Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive to find if they tried Does anyone know If this is true I'll Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive just do all of this and just reinstall the HP drivers and software that came with it manually and the hard drive won't have a recovery partition for the next person

A:Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive

I'm not sure I follow your steps. I'm missing why you'd install Windows 7, then restore. Do you have a Recovery Disk ?? If not can you still make one ?? If either is yes, then I'd wipe the drive and restore and be done with it.

On the other hand, if I was that concerned I'd probably just put another HDD in it and restore to it.

In answer to your question though, it depends on what you use to capture / apply the image. Imagex, by nature, simply gets the "meat" of the OS install and leaves behind anything else. Other stuff may well carry the "ones and zeros" of deleted data as well. I seem to recall once using a utility that grabbed the entire partition to apply elsewhere. I quit using it because it was more trouble than it was worth.

But by far the most secure method is to replace that hard drive and keep the drive that "might" have recoverable data and use it yourself as a spare or external drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/246416-does-system-image-save-deleted-data-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I was running Win XP which finally failed and I was able to enter in safe mode (only, no networking) and ran all the tests I could think of. Hard drive is ok and so I attempted to repair WinXP from the installation CD. However, the PC failed to shut down and restart so I eventually force closed it. Now it won't even load past the initial black windows screen, don't even get the option of going into safe mode.

Is there any way I (or someone) could access the hard drive to retrieve the data? I guess I could reinstall the OS but don't want to do that yet as I'll definitely lose the data.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Win XP failed, repair failed -- can I access hard drive?

Sure, there are many ways. Depending on what you want in the end decides how to proceed.

If you have a lot of space free on the drive, you could boot off a linux dvd and create a new partition. You'd have to shrink the existing, then make a new one. Then you could just copy over the data from the old one to the new one. Then reinstall windows onto the old partition, and copy your stuff back (then delete the partition and expand the remaining to fill the rest of the space).

You can also just boot off a linux disk and copy it to a thumb drive or whatever.

Or you could remove the hard drive and place it in another computer.

Also, I'm not convinced you lose the data if you install Windows again. I'm pretty sure you can install without formatting the drive. Your programs won't work, but it shouldn't overwrite any of your data. This is a non-ideal solution though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-xp-failed-repair-failed-can-i-access-hard-drive.179446/
Relevancy 91.59%

I found" Drive "Operating Hard not system BIOS - error? or switched my Fujjitsu-Siemens Amilo li- the other day and was met with the dreaded "Operating system not found" - BIOS or Hard Drive error? operating system not found message I haven t changed anything big recently and it s more or "Operating system not found" - BIOS or Hard Drive error? less been working fine for a long time now I had however just had it in a bag and moved it across town so after reading up I thought maybe something might have come loose inside But I also read that it could be a BIOS problem and after going in there I noticed that under hard drive in main it said None Changing it to auto or user didn t seem to make much difference as it still wouldn t load and would always revert back to none However I also read that if the computer keeps resetting itself to an arbitrary time and date that it can be symptomatic of a CMOS problem my computer had been doing this occasionally for a month or two before this happened I also tried making a windows vista recovery CD and tried to boot off that but still got the same Operating System Not Found message Basically I want to make sure i ve tried everything before I open the case and go poking around inside as I d really have no idea what i m doing but i m hoping it s just a loose wire that will be pretty self-evident when I open it up Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 91.59%

Let me recap first of all all of the occurances that may be relevant towards the current issue with my computer Actually let me just start off by saying that I m running a Gateway desktop that s at least years old - probably more There with issue found" "no hard system operating drive and s a sticker on my computer which states quot designed for Windows quot So an old computer Anyway a few weeks or months ago my computer began making odd clicking noises It only seemed to happen when I left my computer on for greater than hours at a time I live in a dorm I think maybe the first time I noticed these noises a portion of the hard drive in question was damaged or erased I recovered the files and issue with hard drive and "no operating system found" began turning my computer off every night and I haven t noticed the noises since Also it should be noted that my computer has two hard drives one which is about GB that contains all my windows and program files and another which is about GB issue with hard drive and "no operating system found" that holds all my miscellaneous media files The latter is issue with hard drive and "no operating system found" the one which was damaged Getting to the point I turned on my computer a few days ago to find a message indicating that quot no operating system was found quot I opened it up just to make sure all the cables were connected and they seemed to be Now I m noticing that Widnows XP only boots up when my media hd isn t connected When it is connected Bios does seem to recognize it but only it and no other drive Such would probably be the reason why quot no operating system was found quot since my operating system runs on a seperate drive no Any clue what s going on And thanks nbsp

A:issue with hard drive and "no operating system found"

Welcome,

Try getting into the Bios and reset the boot order and if you start it up with just the 20gb HDD hooked up what happens?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issue-with-hard-drive-and-no-operating-system-found.546766/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hey everyone!

I was told hard drives can break down & have to be replaced.
hard drives with moving parts that is.
My question is if my hard drive where to fail, I would have to buy a new one and install windows vista first to go to my windows 7 or can i just install windows 7 on it?
Not sure if you understand what I mean, if not let me know please.

I just want to keep this in mind because you never know what can happen.

Happy birthday to me (-:

A:failed hard drive

Well it depends if you bought a full install of windows 7 or just the upgrade. If you only bought the upgrade then you have to install vista then go to W7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/140507-failed-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi. My HP laptop was 4 days over the one year when the Hard Drive failed (well the test says it has failed). If I buy a new hard drve, how can i get the Windows 10 re-applied?Also, how easy is it to find the original Microsoft code that i was provided with when i bought th laptop, from what i have read, i need to first put the Windows 8 that the laptop came with back on, and then put it through for the free upgrade to Windows 10 (which i did last August).Many thanks. rpb218 

A:Hard Drive Failed

Hi, As you've previously upgraded to Windows 10, a hardware profile of your machine will have been saved by the activation servers. As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just create your own installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed. http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/ Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-Failed/td-p/5688704
Relevancy 90.3%

Okay I was sure that my hard drive failed I booted up my computer and it hung at the post Detecting IDE drives Hung think... Hard drive I ? failed... there for ages and the only way I could Hard drive failed... I think... ? turn it off was by forcing it to shutdown holding down the power button I tried rebooting several times after that Hard drive failed... I think... ? with zero results Power was on and fans were cranking It even seemed like the hard drive was spinning But nothing was coming thru The monitor stayed in power save mode My assumption was that the hard disk failed and wasn t providing any quot boot up information quot So of course I buy a new hard drive Now that I think about it though it sounds like I have a different problem Even with the new hard drive installed I Hard drive failed... I think... ? have the same problem power fans hard drive spinning but nothing I ve reset the CMOS with no success Any suggestions Please help Running AMD XP on Soyo Ultra Dragon KT M B Mb RAM GeForce Ti Mb Vid nbsp

A:Hard drive failed... I think... ?

One of your ram sticks has probably died. Put the original hd back in and take one ram stick out and see if it boots. If it dosn't, take the other stick out and put tthe first stick back in.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-failed-i-think.207201/
Relevancy 90.3%

On the computer of mine that crashed, apparently the hard drive failed and it scraped a few things off with it. Is there a program that detects damaged files and will tell me what those files are? It's apparently only stuff in my account, and some pictures are half-missing their thumbnails, but with programs, videos, and music, it's hard to tell what is damaged. Can anyone help?

A:Hard Drive Failed

A good freeware program is PCInspector File Recovery ( http://www.pcinspector.de ) But it is a bit confusing to use.A good program for checking your drive for what you can recover is provided at http://www.runtime.org (it's called GetDataBack) - it's easy to use and it's free to check and see what's recoverable. BUT, it's a bit expensive ($80 US) if you choose to use it to recover your stuff.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/105064/hard-drive-failed/
Relevancy 90.3%

So, I just bought Windows 8 Pro less than two weeks ago and my hard drive failed. So I had to install Windows 8 on one of my other drives but now I can't activate it with the same code.

A:Hard Drive failed.

Microsoft normally does not consider a hard drive change as a "system change" like they would for some other hardware such as a motherboard. Are you positive you are entering the correct product key?

You may have to contact Microsoft to get it activated. I had to do that with Windows 7 on a motherboard change (exact replacement for a failed motherboard).

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/13335-hard-drive-failed.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Help, my new hard drive failed

I just got at new Wd 160gb hard drive. It was working fine originally but since I have a old computer I have to upgrade the BIOS to use up the new HD potential. Problem is the HD disappear with the new BIOS. ** Everytime it pluged in (New HD) the HD auto detection can't find any hard drive (No matter it was placed as single master or dual master/dual slave). Remove the new HD and everything work fine. ** Go back to the OLD BIOS and the problem is still there. Can you please tell me what 's the problem. Should I return the HD for a different one ? THank

BIOS Type : Award Modular BIOS V4.51DG
Date : 02/26/99
ID : 02/26/99-i440BX-W83977-2A69KTG9C-00
OEM : TRM-P6B40-A4x-V1.07
Chipset : Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3

A:Is my new hard drive failed

HD's that size for a while were coming with a PCI expantion card because windows doesn't allow for a hd of that size.
This could be your problem.
Otherwise without know your o/s etc.. it's hard to say

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-new-hard-drive-failed.10573/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi, I have one SATA 2 hard drive gone down in a Raid Array 0-Stripe
Is there any way I can salvage or back up any information on the Array?
I've got the PC running off another IDE drive with the array being seen, but one disk in the array has an error
Dave.

Relevancy 90.3%

We have a Dell XPS One 2720 that was setup at our Rescue Squad and is out of warranty. No problem, I can replace the hard drive but non on created system discs or backups and my look at Dell.com for drivers will not allow me to download the drives ahead of time so I can install them when I install the new drive and install Windows 10. It appears I may be able to order the system discs from Dell that I think will have Windows 8 Pro and hopefully the drivers/programs that would bring the system back to where it was when new.
Is there a way to download just the drivers that won't try to auto install or expand when downloaded? I want them on a USB memory stick ready to install after loading Windows 10. Suggestions welcomed. 
Thanks,
Steve

A:Failed Hard Drive

Was the PC already upgraded to Win 10 or did it only have Win 8.1?
Dell no longer provides reinstallation media since it's available from Microsoft.
If the PC had Win 8.1, you can clean install Win 10 by using the ISO file to create your own bootable DVD, and it should recognize the Win 8.1 product key in BIOS and activate itself. If it previously had Win 10, it will activate again.  
You should be able to manually download all the Win 10 drivers here, and save them on a USB stick for transfer to the 2720. You will just have to know what hardware you have (eg video card), but you can find that info using your Service Tag on the Support site by checking the System Configuration link. Just don't add the drivers to a "Download List".
And remember that drivers have to be installed in the correct order, starting with the chipset drivers...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19974575
Relevancy 90.3%

My computer just suffered a massive failure I m not sure where to start but I decided to post in the Windows XP section since it failed to boot After installing a program I was promoted to restart I did so and Windows froze at the sign-in screen It says quot Windows is starting up quot and shows the Windows logo Normally that would go Hard RAM? Failed Drive or away quickly and I would be shown the three different users Except it never comes up It just stays saying quot Windows is starting up quot Here the plot thickens I have an older verison of Ubuntu installed on my PC for any such emergencies I do a hard shutdown and tell my computer to reboot into Linux Ubuntu tries to run a consistancy check on my hard drive and it fails and Ubuntu fails to boot This is where it gets interesting and the only point that makes me Failed Hard Drive or RAM? uncertain that this isn t a failed hard drive I put Failed Hard Drive or RAM? in the Ubuntu Live CD to go on the internet and look for help but that failed to boot I assumed that Linux Live CD s used RAM not hard drives to boot up So it doesn t seem like it matters Both my slave and my master drives are older the slave is years old the master is years old Windows is installed on the master and Ubuntu is installed on the slave and I find it unlikely that both failed Which makes me wonder if its the RAM or or something My computer s stats Intel Pentium Ghz NVIDIA GeForce MB MB SDRAM Master Drive Hitachi GB Slave Drive Seagate GB Does anybody have any suggestions Maybe just let the drives cool down and they ll boot nbsp

A:Failed Hard Drive or RAM?

X: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html. Go there and download an ISO image of Memtest86, burn it to a CD and use it to test your memory. Of course, you'll have to do this on another machine that boots
Boot with the disk in your CD drive and it will run. Run for about 7 passes or longer.
If it's not the memory problem, then go to the HDD maker's site and download their Diagnostic tool. It, too, will boot and run a check of your HDD. At least you'll know if those 2 devices are problematic.
Another way is to boot with your XP disk in the drive and go to the Recovery Console.
At the prompt, type chksk /r, press Enter. It will check the HDD. When it finishes and there is no problem, at the prompt, type fixboot, press Enter. Then see if it will boot.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/failed-hard-drive-or-ram.608430/
Relevancy 90.3%

I have two hard drives in my computer, but it seems one of them is not longer working. The computer can not longer detect the hard driver, and I hear noises as the HD is trying to turn on, and is like turning on and off.

My question is can I use the system restore to recover any files from this driver?

I'm using XP pro, with service pack 2.

Thank you for your time.

Relevancy 90.3%

The laptop was purchased In Drive Hard Failed hard drive failed and was replaced For the past - months the system has been very slow and unable to Failed Hard Drive run certain applications Two days ago I decided to do a reset recovery and it failed One of the options listed after failure was to return Failed Hard Drive to Windows when selected that option the system would not reboot and the Dell logo would just flash off and on nbsp I tried doing a recovery restore with the USB key and it failed nbsp Via directions from your website I ran a test and received the following error - validation HARD DRIVE FAILURE nbsp AGAIN REALLY A new hard drive every year nbsp I believe this machine falls under the term quot LEMON quot There is something wrong with a laptop that requires a new hard drive every year nbsp When I contacted Dell support all I received was confirmation of the error code notification that my warranty had expired and nbsp instructions on how to have the machine serviced and what it would cost to do so When I questioned the need of a third hard drive in three years I was told heavy usage could cause it such as gaming nbsp The laptop was not used for gaming purposes and he could offer no other reason why a hard drive would continue to fail nbsp I m really leery of spending the money to replace the hard drive again nbsp wondering if this time next year I will be faced with the same dilemma Suggestions thoughts HELP nbsp If a new hard drive is indeed needed based on the history of the laptop I truly believe Dell should offer to replace it at their expense We have several Dell products and some with a lot heavier usage than this one nbsp and have never had such problems This laptop is a LEMON If you are unable to help would you please forward me information to someone in the DELL organization that can

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19990933
Relevancy 90.3%

Have to replace my hard drive,The old one is finished and no data is recoverablehave some back up dvd s made with rescue and recoverywill that restore my computer to that date or one is better to use  8cd recovery disksto reinstall windows to the original factory state. next if one is able to get a copy of xp pro   how does one install the os if one does not have the sata driversthanks in advance for your help  

Lenovo 3000 J105 (8258HBU)

A:HARD DRIVE FAILED

Hi North450,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

I?m sorry to hear that the HDD was not working and is replaced in your J105 Desktop, if you have created the recovery discs before the HDD got crashed. I suggest you to install the OS (Operating System) using the Recovery discs to factory reset as it will create the default recommended partitions required for the computer and I?m sorry to inform you that the SATA drivers are not available in our support website for Windows Xp, but can be download from the Intel. Below is the link to download the driver:

Intel Download Center

Do post us back for further queries.

Best Regards

Shiva Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Beacon-Stick-300-D-J-and/HARD-DRIVE-FAILED/td-p/1339989
Relevancy 90.3%

Help seems like my hard drive may have failed can anyone advise

A:Help hard drive failed

Sure but first you have to help us help you. What kind of laptop are we talking about?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Help-hard-drive-failed/td-p/5717432
Relevancy 90.3%

I Have a Western Digital 20 GB Hard Drive that when i start up system it says primary hard drive failed. how can i get the info that is in hard drive and transfer to another drive i have been told that i can change the logic board will this work. help[/ U]

Relevancy 90.3%

After hours of work i have concluded that my hard drive (500gb 340 used data gone) has failed *sigh*. Not looking for suggestions just bored so i posted this. Until the new hdd comes in i'm having to use this really old laptop that is on its last leg.

A:Hard Drive Failed =[

Are you positive? It doesn't spin?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-failed.794112/
Relevancy 90.3%

My hard drive failed and i can not boot up my computer or even reinstall windows 7. Is there anyway to fix my hard drive? I've read somewhere that putting it in an anti-static bag and then in the freezer will help it be usable. So overall, is there anyway to continue using this hard drive or do i have to buy another one.

A:Hard Drive Failed, anyway to fix?

If you're like to freeze your Hard Drive and it is one that goes cheap...i guess you better buy a new one...
or
If you have Data to recover perhaps you could give a try.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/256452-hard-drive-failed-anyway-fix.html
Relevancy 90.3%

The hard drive failed on my computer last week it has now been replaced.
Is there any way the stored information can be recovered from the disc.
If not what should i do with it destroy the hard drive or are they repairable.
thanks
adrian jones

Relevancy 90.3%

i have a almost year old computer. i have a 80 gb hard drive and this morning i downloaded ares and downloaded some music(ya i know stupid.) well later today i was talking to my friends on aim and the computer just froze so i just restarted it and the computer came up as if saying it needed to boot off a cd. so i used my windows xp cd and put that in and that just ended up saying the hard drive had failed or something very similar to that so i used my rescue disks and it says the boot has failed so i have no clue what to do. i really need some help here. thanxs.

A:Com. says hard drive has failed

my brother says he can do a system restore but he wont be home till monday. so any of u guys could tell me how to that would be great!!! thanxs

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/com-says-hard-drive-has-failed.17602/
Relevancy 89.87%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 89.87%

Windows XP Professional Service Pack build gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache WDC WD BB- FTA Hard drive GB -- drive s n WD-WMAET rev and Multiple drive clicking, hard drive freezing errors, hard boot R SMART Status Healthy Hard drive Just a few weeks ago my hard drive started clicking and suddenly my system froze The drive wasn't dropped bumped or anything like that It was fairly new as well I was having some issues accessing my files AND I couldn't access the internet through any browsers Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing I was connected could play internet-using games but got no reply from websites I decided to reformat Well that didn't go so well Reformatting did not fix the freezing issue nor did it fix the internet issue I attempted to reformat the partition on C but it Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing simply wouldn't let me Hard drive I pulled out a newish hard drive and formatted it installed my applications and continued on my way Everything was working great until a day later when the hard drive AGAIN froze in the middle of a session and this time I couldn't even boot I was getting a boot error that mentioned not receiving a boot file name I went into the windows repair console and did a chkdsk which turned up Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing a few errors and attempted to recover them I assume I could now boot but random freezing would still take place now and then and EVERY DAY I have to access the repair console due to boot errors Almost every other attempt to boot results in freezing before startup not being able to access the boot file or a blue screen of death So I Hard drive Same things happening I must have reformatted at least times by now and I'm beginning to give strange looks at my motherboard The computer seems to DECIDE when to work and not work When it doesn't boot the hard drive makes a constant clicking noise This next part will sound bad after getting boot errors all day I walked down stairs to find some new hardware When I got back up my cat had knocked the hard drive which was disconnected and outside of the computer onto the wooden floor It's a foot drop so I was getting worried I plugged it in and tried to star what do you know Here I am Now I'm certain it's only a matter of time before it freezes again The thing is freezing usually occurs when I'm running one or more programs at a time The computer is going incredibly slow at the moment Is it a certain program that is messing up my registry or would it be a problem with my motherboard dontknow

A:Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing

Try installing another operating system onto the disk and seeing if that crashes as well. If it doesn't you probably have a bad Windows cd. I suggest trying Kubuntu, a version of Linux meant to look somewhat like Windows (You can click here to skip directly to the download page). Just remember to actually install the thing. Most Linux operating systems can be ran directly from the cd without any need to be installed onto a hard disk. There's usually a program on the desktop that will install the system for you. If it runs properly for a week or two, get a new Windows disk. If it crashes just as much as Windows did, get a new computer.

Also, how much RAM does your computer have? If it's very low (256-512 megs or less) it can sometimes cause these kinds of crashes too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/multiple-hard-drive-boot-errors-hard-drive-clicking-and-freezing-374232.html
Relevancy 89.87%

Hello,
I am trying to move all my files from my computer to my new external hard drive, but whenever I try and move a file over 4 GB in size i get this error message...
"The file is too large for the destination file system"... anyone know how I can get around this so I can move those files over?

A:Problem transfering large file from hard drive to external hard drive

Get ahold of some software that will break up the file into chunks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-transfering-large-file-from-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.105596/
Relevancy 89.87%

Hey a Hard Drive Drive External an please! 80gb Enclosure, Zune help in Hard Putting guys My Zune gb stopped working a while back It wouldn t charge So I thought I would take Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please! out the hard drive and use it as an external gb hard drive So I bought an quot ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it All appears good with the installation When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on amp the disk starts spinning Then Windows Vista does the whole quot Install new Hardware quot thing and calls it a quot Disk Drive quot and a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot and says hardware is installed and ready for use But the problem is I can t seem to access the drive I can t find it anywhere It doesn t show up as a drive I can use or anything I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn t it couldn t find it either I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it but the Mac doesn t recognize it as anything Back in Vista Using Device Manager Vista notices the drive under the quot Disk Drives quot option as a quot Disk Drive quot and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft since it has the Zune firmware on it but I can t do anything with it And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists I can t reformat it or anything Can anyone help me I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware Is there anyway I can wipe it Please help I have spent hours searching online and can t seem to get anywhere If I have posted this is in the wrong forum I am sorry Thank you Timothy nbsp

A:Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/putting-a-zune-80gb-hard-drive-in-an-external-hard-drive-enclosure-help-please.1009940/
Relevancy 89.87%

I have a customer s Satellite L D S laptop This was shipped to me by the customer who tried to install Windows XP Pro Vista and none would install He said he tried all installation CDs he had and finally gave up on it and shipped it to me When I got it the partition were deleted so I tried to install Win and when I do doing a custom install I format win can't clean drive find drive hard 7 can't install Solved: or on hard get an error saying the hard drive can t be formatted on disk Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install or it will give an error that no hard drives were found I reset the bios to default and no matter what I do it won t format or find the harddrive I was going to upgrade the bios but the only way I found to upgrade the Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install bios is after windows is installed There is no way to make changes to the bios for settings that would have to do with the hard drive This has a Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive When installing Win I get the normal windows quot windows is starting quot quot Select Language quot quot Select System quot quot Type of install quot quot Custom Install quot quot Delete partitions quot quot New Partitions quot quot Format quot then the error message quot Windows cannot format a partition on disk Error x quot This happens regardless what system I try to install I ve tried two different versions of XP one of Vista and Win and each time a different install CD System Specs AMD Turion TM x Mobile CPU CPU Speed GHz Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive Pioneer DVD-RW DurkD l PM Optical Disk Drive Memory System Bios Version Anyone got any ideas on this laptop so I can get a system installed I checked the bios and there is no settings for a sata drive raid drive or IDE drive so it looks like this version can t be changed Thanks for anyone who can help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-7-cant-find-hard-drive-or-cant-format-hard-drive-on-clean-install.917413/
Relevancy 89.87%

I had a thread someone drive-question xp hard Solved: drive if win98 windows time?? hard has with earlier and forgot to ask a couple Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time?? of questions I was told I could take a hard drive from a windows computer and the person is buying a new Windows xp so I can hook up the win hard drive as a slave to the new computer with win xp so I can drop and drag or cut and past files that they want off the hard drive put on their new computer Now If their new computer with the win xp on it if there is an ide cable going to the hard drive and nothing else then I can hook up the win hard drive to the same ide cable as a slave and no problem However if the windows xp computer has the hard drive on the ide cable and also the cd-rom then is it ok just to hook up another ide cable to their mother board and hook the hard drive from the windows computer on the end of that ide cable as the master and by turning the computer off and then hooking up the hard drive and then turning the computer back on it should reconize the windows hard drive in my computer right away right If I would have to put the windows hard drive in the new computer on a seperate ide cable is it ok to have it as master cause the hard drive that is already in it would be master to but it would be on a different ide cable I am hoping the new computer just has the hard drive on an ide cable by itself so I can just hook the other one up as a slave and get the files and be done with it How ever if someone could give me a couple or three scenario s with ide cables and hooking this up I would be very much appreciatetive It would be a new computer with windows xp home or pro and wanting to hook up a hard drive from an old computer with windows to get the files off from it Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time??

Yes - you understand it correctly

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-hard-drive-with-win98-hard-drive-question-if-someone-has-time.388045/
Relevancy 89.87%

Hi I REALLY hope someone out there can help me Hard as Hard Partition 1T appears Problems! Drive/ Solved: My 8Gigs?! Drive with this I have a failed hard drive stuffed partion and i DESPERATELY need the data from it A computer was brought into me with two hard drives The owner asked me to set up a duel boot with vista and XP on the first hard drive and to leave the second hard drive alone its his backup drive with all his Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! photos movies etc I was working away as per usual when i noticed the second hard drive was no longer coming up in Windows Explorer Well it was but not correctly whenever i clicked on it it said would you liket to format the drive obviously i didnt want to do that I ran Partition Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! Magic which showed the drive was only Gigs it should have been T or Gigs Partition Magic also said there was a problem with the drive and offered to fix it I agreed however there was no change I ve run a number of programs to try and fix the drive Acronis Disk Director Server Partition Table Doctor Demo Dtidata Partition Repair Tool MHDD Recover My Files v FileScavenger However all the partition repairers claim that the drive is only Gigs and they can go no further All the File Recovery Programs will only scan for Gigs and thus i can not recover my clients precious photos and videos The BIOS comes up as recognizing the drive as Gigs I really REALLY need the Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! data from this drive Does anyone know how to fix my problem Thanx heaps in advance Ben nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?!

I've used ZAR to recover files from a RAID box that seemed to have been corrupted due to a bad power supply.

You might check it out. It's free. Meaning it will only allow you to recover so many files at a time. I bought it, and like it.

They have a forum that is monitored quite often, from the developer too.

Good luck.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-partition-problems-my-1t-hard-drive-appears-as-8gigs.858100/
Relevancy 89.87%

Hey guys, I was working with my grandfathers computer. The computer would not boot, it kept getting the BSOD with "Unmountable Boot Volume" At the top. Annoyed, I decided I was going to just back up whatever files were on it (Just his favorites, he has absolutely no documents or anything else)..by plugging his HD into my home PC as a slave and copying them to my flashdrive. Then I would reinstall XP Home on his Desktop, and use the flashdrive to put back his files...Sounds easy enough right? NO!!!!.....Problem is, his user account on the computer (Ralph), was Password Protected so now when I try to access any of his files (using Windows 7) I get a message saying Access Is Denied. How do I get around this. It is not possible to boot his old computer to take off the password. Are his files recoverable?
Thanks for any help!

A:Recovering hard drive files from unbootable, password protected hard drive?

You don't have to do all that to overcome an unmountable boot volume error...try running chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk X: /r (where X is the drive letter assigned by XP and with spaces between k and X: and X: and /) and then hit Enter.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251609/recovering-hard-drive-files-from-unbootable-password-protected-hard-drive/
Relevancy 89.87%

Hi I am in the process of doing a clean re-install of Windows XP for Home on my PC I have hard drives c gb Maxtor SATA drive - bootable with Windows seeing Hard - Problems, drive new not Bootup Drive hard Help Windows required Options XP existing Windows install d gb Maxtor IDE drive Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options - non bootable data drive g gb Maxtor IDE drive - bootable with the clean install of Windows XP for home on it Windows is not seeing all the sizes quite right yet but I will tackle that when I have solved Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options this major problem that follows If I boot from the C drive - I have no problems at all Windows will see all the different drives as it should do I can access them all and they all work fine When I come to boot the clean install on drive G windows changes the drive letters - G becomes C D remains as D but the gb Maxtor SATA drive isn t Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options seen at all and might as well not exist Disk Management within Windows is no help as it can t see the drive Maxtor software MaxBlast is also no help as it can t see the drive on this install either I have checked and rechecked the BIOS but have pretty much discounted any issues here as it clearly shows all drives and all drives are listed on boot up It s just when Windows kicks in that I have the problem I guess it s a simple setting somewhere but I am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to think what it is - so any ideas would be very gratefully received Thanks in advance and kind regards Stuart nbsp

A:Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options

Hi
This is what I would do to enhance performance and storage strategy:

1. Use the 20g for the os and housekeeping utes such as av, spyware, etc only, nothing else goes on that drive.
2. Use the 160g for apps installs.
3. Use the 200g for data.

This might get you past the bios/firmware/os/drive letter issue and make better use of the drives. The 20 isn't really good for storage anymore, but would be great for an os/system ute drive. It's performance is less than the other drives, but that's ok, most of the os will stay in ram anyway after boot, you won't make any real diff having a faster os drive.
You might want to place a pagefile on each drive so pageing can occur concurrently too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-bootup-problems-help-required-windows-not-seeing-new-hard-drive-options.34935/
Relevancy 89.87%

I have two laptops, a ThinkPad T30 and a Latitude C840 (they are both working with XP SP2, except the T30 doesn't have a screen). I'd like to move the T30's drive into the C840, but when I do this, the C840 will hang right after the BIOS screen (incl. the XP CD's Press a key to boot off the CD if I tell it to boot from the disc drive first).

My first thought was to try Recovery Console from the XP CD. I can log into the install, and I've already tried fixmbring and fixbooting it. This doesn't help.

This leaves the option of the drivers not being right. I installed the C840 chipset drivers, nothing.

I'd really rather not go on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what'll get things up and running, so can you guys gimme a suggestion?

Thanks!
Ethan

A:Moved hard drive and cannot boot; hard drive accessable from Recovery Console

You can't simple move one drive from one machine to another because the drivers are specific to the hardware. Did you receive recovery CDs for the Latitude? If so, you could use them to "restore" it to its factory default with the new drive. This may actually be on a partition of the hard drive.
As an alternative, you could create an image of the original drive and restore it to the new one using some freeware such as DriveImage XML. To restore the image to the new drive, you'll need to boot to a bootable CD using something like UBCD4WIN and restore the image from somewhere on your network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moved-hard-drive-and-cannot-boot-hard-drive-accessable-from-recovery-console.528901/