Windows Support Forum

Installed new hard drive, get message on boot

Q: Installed new hard drive, get message on boot

Hey guys I ve recently installed a new hard drive on my desktop PC It s a GB quot drive that I removed off of a new laptop I got The drive works great BUT ever since I installed it I get a really annoying drive, hard boot new get message Installed on message every time I boot my machine It s some sort of copyright disclaimer It says the brand of the HDD Hitachi and lists the copyright of the disk management system or something like that It says copyright jmicron com and then quot Hit enter to continue quot The message is displayed maybe for seconds and it disappears on its own so no need to press enter Pressing enter will get rid of it faster So yes Installed new hard drive, get message on boot it s not an error but it s annoying and it adds to Installed new hard drive, get message on boot my boot time I m assuming the exact brand and model of the HDD isn t relevant nor is it the message but if it is let me know and I ll post that information I m not near my PC at the moment Is there an option in the BIOS or msconfig I Installed new hard drive, get message on boot could change to get rid of this Intel Core i GHz GB DDR RAM Mhz GB Samsung SSD Main drive additional HDDs GB GB and GB ATI Radeon HD GB W Power Supply W nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Installed new hard drive, get message on boot

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Installed new hard drive, get message on boot

A little help with this, please? I'm baffled, I'm no computer newbie and I've installed many-a hard drives before, but I had never gotten this message after installation. The exact model of the hard drive is:

Hitachi HTS547575A9E384

This is a picture of the message:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-new-hard-drive-get-message-on-boot.197890/
Relevancy 75.68%

My hard drive dissapeared. I tried unplugging the power cables as suggested but it did not fix the problem. Is it dead? It's less than 2 years old. I have a Dell with a 40g hard drive.

A:error message..hard drive not installed

gfs said:

My hard drive dissapeared. I tried unplugging the power cables as suggested but it did not fix the problem. Is it dead? It's less than 2 years old. I have a Dell with a 40g hard drive.Click to expand...

What exactly was the scenario behind this problem gfs?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-message-hard-drive-not-installed.401976/
Relevancy 75.68%

My daughter dropped the computer. It is unable to boot and makes a clicking sound. When I tried to run some tests I get the error message Hard Drive-Not installed. I am guessing the hard drive got knocked when it dropped-is there any way to put it back in place? Thanks.

A:Error Message: Hard Drive - Not Installed

More likely the hard drive is dead. They are pretty well bolted in and hard to come loose. Is it really a Dell with Windows XP? Maybe a good excuse to go buy a new HP. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Error-Message-Hard-Drive-Not-Installed/td-p/5722979
Relevancy 75.68%

I installed my new hard drive and when I strat my computer I get the message "REBOOT ANS SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR ISERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY"

hELP

Relevancy 74.82%

Ok i installed a TB hard drive as a slave I have GB hard with my OS on it I just added the TB for storage Now it appears that all these programs going on the TB are storing temp files or something on the GB Is there a way i can stop this I tried to copy Hard drive-Low Installed disk space TB message the GB over to the TB several times but the program that came with Installed TB Hard drive-Low disk space message the HD was crap and didnt do it so i gave up and started using the comp like normal I think my options are to make an image of the GB and transfer it to the TB then remove the GB Simply take all the personal data and non windows files off of the and move them to the TB but this will cause all kinds of problems with the registry no Remove the GB wipe the TB and reinstall windows on the TB and start the rebuilding process for the eight time this year Darn you Windows Defender and your tricky little pop ups Ok so most of this is based off of what i read and heard so don't yell at me for using the wrong lingo I am moderately computer knowledgable This was my first HD install though Any help would be fantastic

A:Installed TB Hard drive-Low disk space message

What is the size of your "My Documents folder?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/installed-tb-hard-drive-low-disk-space-message-488534.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Just installed a new hard drive in my dell dimension 9200 had it running with xp all drivers downloaded. Backed up the old hard drive to a WD element which I then used Acronis to recover into the new hard drive...only upon reboot i get blue screen with stop error message
0x0000007B (0xB84C3524,0x0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
any suggestions??

A:recovery to newly installed hard drive only to get bsod & stop message

You must do a repair install of XP before it'll boot into Windows. XP isn't able to deal with the change in hardware.
Please follow the instructions here: How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/recovery-to-newly-installed-hard-drive-only-to-get-bsod-and-stop-message-580030.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Just installed a new hard drive in my dell dimension 9200 had it running with xp all drivers downloaded. Backed up the old hard drive to a WD element which I then used Acronis to recover into the new hard drive...only upon reboot i get blue screen with stop error message
0x0000007B (0xB84C3524,0x0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
any suggestions??

A:recovery to newly installed hard drive only to get bsod & stop message

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-to-newly-installed-hard-drive-only-to-get-bsod-stop-message.1001784/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have an XP machine from Dell and I have replaced the hard drive I used Partition Magic to copy the partitions from the old drive to the new drive I copied partitions exactly as they were gb total size mb quot Utility quot partition - FAT might be FAT gb Extended Partition with C drive as only logical partition - NTFS gb remaining space as FAT D drive - primary partition The D drive is at the end of the drive and this is how the old hard drive is and the new hard drive is now like this as well The old drive will still boot with no problems whether it s the only drive in the system or if it s the quot master quot The new drive will not boot at all If I boot to my ERD disk it shows C as the quot primary quot partition at drive not installed boot after new hard will XP the end of the drive should be D and the D drive is the logical partition which should be C I went into XP will not boot after new hard drive installed Disk Manager under ERD and the option to change drive letters was greyed out How can I change the drive letters so the system will boot off the new drive the same way it did off the old drive nbsp

A:XP will not boot after new hard drive installed

to set my boot flag in stone i use gparted

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-will-not-boot-after-new-hard-drive-installed.802545/
Relevancy 71.81%

I'll start with the usual disclaimer which I'm sure you've heard ad-nauseum I have little-to-no computer knowledge All I've learned has been from this wonderful forum On to my issue HP Pavilion dv - b us laptop For the last year I've been having more and more BSOD's freezes etc and all of the indications pointed towards a failing hard drive I wish I could tell you specifically what the error messages said but I honestly don't won't now Installed hard boot... new drive, remember them exactly I can say that each time I took the diagnostic steps it always reported a problem with the hard drive Usually I was able to get it going again but it continued to happen more and more often Finally it refused to start Win so I figured the hd had given out No big deal hard drives are cheap So Installed new hard drive, now won't boot... I ordered http www ebay com itm TB-Hard-Drive-for-HP-Pavilion-DV - NR-DV - B XX-DV - B US-DV - B NR- hash item d d b g pLcAAMXQBkpSMOM Installed it yesterday Unfortunately I don't have a Win disk came pre-installed but the machine does have the reg key sticker on the bottom Soooo my plan was to install XP the only disk I have to get onto the internet then download Win ISO file onto a flash drive then just boot from that that should work right Anyway put the XP disk in and it appears Installed new hard drive, now won't boot... to load the XP files just fine However just before it wants to start Installed new hard drive, now won't boot... Windows I think - the attached BSOD screen pops up hopefully it's attached In case it doesn't attach it's essentially the usual BSOD and near the bottom it says STOP x E x xF B D xF D EA xF D B C acp sys - Address F B D base at F AD DateStamp d I've been googling STOP errors for days now but I only understand a fraction of what I'm reading I think the acp is important and possibly is referring to a hardware problem memory But honestly I have no idea Hence I once again come before the masters here HELLPPPP And THANX as always Striper

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604680/installed-new-hard-drive-now-wont-boot/
Relevancy 71.81%

I bought a 20 gb hard drive and installed winxp pro on it. It will only boot to safe mode. I have disconnected my old 6.2 gb corrupted h/d and did go into my bios and I thought I had configured all correctly. (bios is a Compaq 686x1 bios for PII 266). I had to go to westerndigital.com and install lifebuoy 10 for it to recognize all 20 gb as it would only register 6.3gb. So if winxp boots to safe mode what can I do to make it boot normally? I ran msconfig and had it try to boot with just a sys.ini and/or the diagnostic startup.

This is my first encounter with winxp, I was using win 98 previously.

Thanks, Kelly

A:installed Win XP on a new hard drive..won't boot

I think my first post had a very ambiguous question. All I really need to know is what to look for in safe mode to change to make my pc boot normally? I am sure it is something small, but I can't think of it!

Thanks again,
Kelly

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-win-xp-on-a-new-hard-drive-wont-boot.110217/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have a dell Vostro 200 slim tower with 250 gb hard drive, running win7 ultimate 32 bit. I've just put in a 1tb western digital drive. It won't boot past the dell screen. However, if I unplug the keyboard then plug it in, so I get the keyboard error message, plug the keyboard in and press f2 (to get into bios), the drive is shown correctly. In the bios, all the settings appear correct ie boot sequence etc. if I press f1 instead of f2, the pc boots properly and the drive is shown in my computer / disc manager etc.

I have updated the bios but still it won't go past the dell screen. I have re-formatted the drive so it is completely empty but still it won't go past the dell screen.

Any ideas?

A:Won't boot if 2nd hard drive installed

Quote: Originally Posted by Rayman2702

I have a dell Vostro 200 slim tower with 250 gb hard drive, running win7 ultimate 32 bit. I've just put in a 1tb western digital drive. It won't boot past the dell screen. However, if I unplug the keyboard then plug it in, so I get the keyboard error message, plug the keyboard in and press f2 (to get into bios), the drive is shown correctly. In the bios, all the settings appear correct ie boot sequence etc. if I press f1 instead of f2, the pc boots properly and the drive is shown in my computer / disc manager etc.

I have updated the bios but still it won't go past the dell screen. I have re-formatted the drive so it is completely empty but still it won't go past the dell screen.

Any ideas?

Clarification needed:

Was everything OK until you got the 1 TB drive? Why do you mention it?

Are you trying to install on the 250 GB or the 1 TB?

When did the PC last operate OK and what have you done to it since that time?

I assume you have some type of installation disc. Is it OEM, retail, borrowed, burned, or what?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/231812-wont-boot-if-2nd-hard-drive-installed.html
Relevancy 70.95%

ok i bought a faster new hard drive .i had it installed and the old one as a secondary and when i got home i pushed the power button and it sounds like its starting but no picture on monitor and no power going to the keyboard and mouse as they should both light up.i hard booted it and 15 to 20 seconds later it started up normally and worked fine as far as i know.the problem of course is it still wont boot on the first try unless i hard boot it after the initial startup.the computer store that its at now cant seem to figure it out so here i am at my mothers house on her comp please help thx oh and according to them as they have it trying to find the problem they have scanned the hardware and cant seem to find anything wrong

A:Had a new hard drive installed but wont boot up

"i had it installed and the old one as a secondary"...

Who installed the new hard drive? Take the computer back to them to have it fixed. When you install a new boot drive, there is an install program that clones the contents of the old boot drive and cleans the information off the old drive if you are using the old drive for storage. Was this done?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/had-a-new-hard-drive-installed-but-wont-boot-up.171573/
Relevancy 70.95%

The title says it all. I can't get onto Windows 7, it's still there I just can't boot to it, and i'm stuck in XP.
What choices do I have?
Thanks in advance!

A:Solved: Installed XP on the same hard drive as 7, and I can't boot 7 :(

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installed-xp-on-the-same-hard-drive-as-7-and-i-cant-boot-7.1110544/
Relevancy 70.95%

I have a computer with two IDE ribbon cable hard drives One had a bad windows XP installation on it I installed win on the other win7 2 to drive, boot seems need to on installed hard but one I it I formatted I installed win7 on one hard drive, but it seems to need 2 to boot the drive before installing win Then I decided I want to use the hard drive with the bad winXP installation on it in another computer I will format it When I opened the computer side panel I wasn't sure which I installed win7 on one hard drive, but it seems to need 2 to boot hard drive was which so I unplugged the power to one and started the computer The thing is it won't boot win with either of those hard drives alone only when both are plugged in With HD disconnected it says quot Can't find BOOTMGR press a key to reboot quot With HD connected I get asked whether I want win or an older OS and when I choose win I get an error message something like quot Win failed to start To try and repair insert install disc or use recovery mode etc quot With both HDs I get asked the same question quot Win or an older OS quot but when I choose win it works In my computer I have verified that win 's files are on one disk and corrupt winXP files on the other Whats going on here Thoughts Thanks guys

A:I installed win7 on one hard drive, but it seems to need 2 to boot

I think your error was installing Windows 7 without first disconnecting the XP drive. During the installation, the boot files for Windows 7 were put on the XP drive. That could not have happened if you had disconnected the XP drive.

I think you can solve it by disconnecting the XP drive and then running a repair install on the Windows 7 drive. You might have to run repair several times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/202300-i-installed-win7-one-hard-drive-but-seems-need-2-boot.html
Relevancy 70.95%

i finally was able to get xp pro installed on a new machine a friend built for me the problem is that after the entire thing installed and i restarted it now it doesnt want to boot from the hard drive in the bios it IS set to boot from the hard drive first so i have no clue why it wont do it when there's a fully installed copy of xp pro on it so i still basically have a nonfunctional computer since all it will do it when i turn it on is go to the but pro drive. hard boot XP installed from wont motherboard screen that gives XP pro installed but wont boot from hard drive. me the option of updating the bios did that already or going to the POST screen also my boyfriend thinks it may have trouble recognizing IDE devices the hard drive and cdrom in particular which might explain why it was reacting so slowly at the very start when all it had was a motherboard screen it took about - minutes to react when i hit a key on the keyboard and about - for it to realize if i had the windows cd in there and begin installing it i dont know if this has anything to do with its inability to boot from the hard drive as well any ideas on how to fix these problems here are my computer's main components ASUS quot A V -MX quot VIA KM A Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU AMD Athlon XP MHz FSB K Cache Processor pqi POWER Series -Pin MB DDR PC- Western Digital Special Edition GB RPM IDE Hard Drive Model WD JB thanks

A:XP pro installed but wont boot from hard drive.

pull the h/d out and check the jumpers and that you are using an 80 wire cable on it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-pro-installed-but-wont-boot-from-hard-drive-35162.html
Relevancy 70.95%

HI everyone. My hard drive failed a bit ago, so I took it to a trusted computer shop to have the work done since I don't have the time or patience right now to work on a laptop. Anyway, I had a new HD put it, as well as a RAM upgrade. I just got it back, and was expecting to be able to just insert the windows vista installation disc that came with my computer and have it work. However, the screen just remains blank and the computer makes no attempt to boot anything from the disc. I tried turning off and on the computer with the cd in the drive, to no avail. The computer does run, it just never gets past a blank screen. I tried googling to see if there was an easy solution, but I couldn't find anything relevant. Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT- Disc is Vista Ultimate sp1

Relevancy 70.95%

I just installed a new WD 500 GB hard drive into my DELL computer. I am trying to install windows 7 from a dvd but it will not boot. Does anyone know what the problem is. Thank you.

A:Installed new hard drive - Windows 7 won't boot from CD

Quote: Originally Posted by rambo

I just installed a new WD 500 GB hard drive into my DELL computer. I am trying to install windows 7 from a dvd but it will not boot. Does anyone know what the problem is. Thank you.

Hi. It depends on the type of drive it is. IDE or SATA. If IDE, the jumper is set incorrectly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/41648-installed-new-hard-drive-windows-7-wont-boot-cd.html
Relevancy 70.52%

My computer was very slow so I added memory and installed a new hard drive. I checked that everthing was compatible with my computer. I had an 80 gig hard drive now it is 500gig. Memory was 512 now I have 2 gig. After installing I cannot get the computer to do anything. The message just says to strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. Can someone please help me? I have never worked on my computer so I am very new to this. Thank you any help would be appreciated!!!

A:Solved: Installed a new hard drive comp. will not boot

Welcome to TSG.
If you will tell us what brand/model computer you have, what operating system you have installed, it will help us help you.
vicks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installed-a-new-hard-drive-comp-will-not-boot.839813/
Relevancy 70.52%

Asus cm -ap originally running vista premium and owner wanted an upgrade to seven Bought a new hard drive b c old one died Mobo had trouble finding new drive but after setting bios back to default F it installed and finally got working Owner gets pc and starts getting blue screening and saying theres an f drive error and wont wake up after suspending without Installed and drive wont hard boot.... Windows now 7 reboot So I get it running fine by removing avg which is causing blue screen for some reason and the it is now waking up after auto hibernation But if you Installed Windows 7 and now hard drive wont boot.... put into hibernation Installed Windows 7 and now hard drive wont boot.... manually it wont wake I update windows and it goes back to not recognising hard drive Flash bios remove cmos baterry reset bios to default and set hard drive to ahcpi and it reinstalls fine update windows and it stops working Use restore point to get it back and running and this time dont update windows and its running ok again Shut it down for the night and the next day go to boot it up and there is no bootable media and now I am trying to Installed Windows 7 and now hard drive wont boot.... reinstall win and after it does it gets a no bootable media error even though it is installed and passes all the startup tests when using the disk to do a repair help any suggestions welcome Thanks

A:Installed Windows 7 and now hard drive wont boot....

Quote: Originally Posted by andrew10

Asus cm5570-ap006 originally running vista premium and owner wanted an upgrade to seven. Bought a new hard drive b/c old one died. Mobo had trouble finding new drive but, after setting bios back to default(F5) it installed and finally got working.
Owner gets pc and starts getting blue screening and saying theres an f1 drive error and wont wake up after suspending without reboot.
So I get it running fine by removing avg(which is causing blue screen for some reason) and the it is now waking up after auto hibernation. But if you put into hibernation manually it wont wake. I update windows and it goes back to not recognising hard drive.
Flash bios remove cmos baterry reset bios to default and set hard drive to ahcpi and it reinstalls fine update windows and it stops working. Use restore point to get it back and running and this time dont update windows and its running ok again. Shut it down for the night and the next day go to boot it up and there is no bootable media and now I am trying to reinstall win7 and after it does it gets a no bootable media error even though it is installed and passes all the startup tests when using the disk to do a repair....help any suggestions welcome.... Thanks

The motherboard may be at fault. Have you tried hooking up the hard drive to another system to see if you can acess the data. There may be a chance that the hard drive is failing. Be sure to back up the owner's data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/229599-installed-windows-7-now-hard-drive-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I tried something new- installing W7 from a second SATA hard drive. I extracted my W7 iso from MSDNAA to the hard drive, and was able to boot from it. Then, I told the installer to install windows to my main drive. Unfortunately, it seems that Windows has incorporated my W7 iso drive (the secondary one) as part of the boot routine, and I can't remove it. My system will only boot if I tell it to use the secondary drive as the boot disk. However when I get into Windows, the secondary drive isn't displayed!

Here were the drives I used-
240gb: The one I wanted to install windows ONTO
40gb: The one I installed windows FROM
How can I fix this? Here is the result of my diskpart, disk management, and my computer screens:

Thanks!

A:Installed W7 from secondary hard drive, now I can't boot! (pics)

Looks like the small drive is marked system. That's where your boot files are.

You need to get the boot files onto C.

I think EasyBCD is the typical tool for that.

Fiddle around with this:

Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/248536-installed-w7-secondary-hard-drive-now-i-cant-boot-pics.html
Relevancy 70.52%

New Hard DRIVE INSTALLED - how do I install the Windows Operating system. It will not boot-up.

A:New Hard DRIVE INSTALLED - how do I install the Windows. It will not boot

The system is missing a driver or boot manager. I lost the original windows version that came with the system and I had to replace the hard drive which crashed. How would I load the MS 7 that I purchased

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/new-hard-drive-installed-how-do-i-install-the-windows-it-will-not-boot-644950.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I upgraded the hard drive in my Portege M200 from 4GB to 80GB using Parted Magic to clone the original drive. The cloning completed successfully, but instead of booting up with the new drive, the M200 just displays a blinking cursor when powered on. Any help is much appreciated.

TIA, focus

A:New hard drive installed on Portege M200 but won't boot

Hi there

Maybe You can try one of the below to fix your problem:

BUT!! ALWAYS keep a backup!!

Boot system up with a DOS floppy (with fdisk.exe inside) to restore MBR by typing

fdisk /mbr

This works even on a SATA disk. Alternative boot up any Win2k or XP installation CD, go to the recovery console and issure command

fixmbr

Cheers

Tom

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?64718-New-hard-drive-installed-on-Portege-M200-but-won-t-boot
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi all,
I have a Tecra W50 PT640A-04103NN1.
When a second hard-drive is installed in the DVD drive bay the laptop will try to boot of the bay disk, not the internal disk
This seond disk has no operating system installed and so the boot fails.

If I hit F12 at boot time and select HDD, then the machine boots correctly. I.e. boots from the main hard drive.
Changing the boot order in the BIOS does make any difference; it will always try to boot from the second, drive bay disk first.

Has any been able to get this to work properly?

Thanks in advance!

A:Tecra W50 - can't boot when second hard drive (caddy) installed.

Hi Doppelfrog,
I've got same problem with my W50, got my HDD caddy couple of days ago.
Did you have any luck in fixing this issue?
I believe the Bios for this laptop is not developed to serve two drives (as the computer got only one drive bay) and it's not possible to prioritize witch HDD should boot first...

Regards,
Marcin

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?83987-Tecra-W50-can-t-boot-when-second-hard-drive-(caddy)-installed
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi everyone recently I bought a new laptop MSI GP which came with Windows I tried it for few weeks and than I decided to downgrade it to Windows So I did it everything went well I was using Windows for couple of weeks but now I have a problem Last night I didn't turn it off and in the morning i got drive start cannot up hard - be - boot Windows to installed Can't Fail black screen saying quot Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key quot So here's the problem I have hybrid hard drive GB SSD Fail to start up - Can't boot hard drive - Windows cannot be installed TB HDD which is divided to C D and E My laptop can recognize hard disk so it's not dead I can't start up because it can't Fail to start up - Can't boot hard drive - Windows cannot be installed boot it and I can't reinstall repair Windows because it says quot Windows cannot be installed Fail to start up - Can't boot hard drive - Windows cannot be installed to this disk This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu quot I'll also provide pictures of my BIOS in attachments You can see the settings and all boot devices I did a bit of research and I came across that if you have hard drives it may confuse Windows and Vista so disconnecting one of them will solve the problem that could be my case due to hybrid hard drive I'm not sure And the problem is that I can't open my laptop because I will lose the warranty So does anyone know what should I do to make it work again I have some files on my e drive which I would like to keep I've tried everything and I couldn't sort it out Will deleting all partitions and formatting them all over again do the job I would appreciate every attempt of help Thank you guys I colored everything a bit just to make it easier to read

A:Fail to start up - Can't boot hard drive - Windows cannot be installed

I don't see where either Legacy BIOS or CSM are enabled, just Legacy Boot - is there a panel not shown? But that may be enough to Bypass UEFI to Install WIn7 if that's what worked for install.

That makes it easier to repair. Confirm the 100mb System Reserved (preferred if you have it) or C is Partition Marked Active then run Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times to see if it will start.

Different hybrid hard drives require different install procedures. If it's Intel Rapid Storage Technology it normally requires being turned off in BIOS for install, then enabled to activate the 24gb caching drive. But since IRST can also be problematic many leave it disabled. We've even helped users install to the SSD their OS and programs with the data folders linked from HDD, it worked and they wanted to keep it.

Read your Manual on the PC's Support Downloads webpage to see exactly how yours works. It would also help if you could post back a camera snap of Partition Wizard CD
drive map and listings. That tool can also mark Active and add another step which helps start Win7 by running Partition Wizard Rebuild MBR - Video Help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/311841-fail-start-up-cant-boot-hard-drive-windows-cannot-installed.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello New to the Tech forum boards but I am having a problem with my HP Pavillion dv t The hard drive went bad so I installed a new Seagate TB internal hard drive in the notebook Starts up fine and then it says that quot No bootable device found quot ---insert disk press any key The disc is in the cd rom I went into the BIOS enabled the CD ROM boot option I HP hard Installed drive boot not new Pavillion dv6, disk working on also went into the Boot option menu and tried selecting the Installed new hard drive on HP Pavillion dv6, boot disk not working internal cd dvd rom drive option and I went into the actual boot order screen and adjusted the boot order so it read the cd-rom drive first then the hard drive I also am using the HP Application and Driver recovery DVD I am not sure if the disc is bad or cd drive is bad The other thought is that because it is a Installed new hard drive on HP Pavillion dv6, boot disk not working brand new hard drive there is no information on it for the drivers so maybe the computer is not processing the information If anyone has knowledge of this issue or any ideas that can help I would greatly appreciate it Thank You

A:Installed new hard drive on HP Pavillion dv6, boot disk not working

Go HERE:
Repair Install

This is a great Tutorial by administrator Brink - helped me enormously when I was in a similar hole.
If you can't find it, go back to main Seven Forums page.
Scroll down to Tutorials
Click Repair Install by Brink.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/242041-installed-new-hard-drive-hp-pavillion-dv6-boot-disk-not-working.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Okay, so I have a Toshiba P25-S477 laptop. The hard drive on it has failed, and caused me to get the error message in windows (when it ocasionally boots) that windows needs to be validated, yadda yadda but it won't because the key "has already exceeded it's number of uses" Well.... I have a windows XP corporate CD, with key and whatnot, but when I put the new 80 gig Western Digital hard drive in and put the CD in, it doesn't give me any option to boot from CD.

The boot order is CD, Hard drive, then floppy and network (no floppy drive tho which leads to the next problem...

How can I get it to boot from CD if I have no floppy drive to load drivers on with?

A:Toshiba P25-S477 hard drive failed, installed WD HD, won't boot from Windows XP CD...

check the jumper settings on your old hdd. if it was in master position, then, try another HDD. there are problems with toshiba's laptops when using HDD such as WD or ST.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-p25-s477-hard-drive-failed-installed-wd-hd-wont-boot-from-windows-xp-cd.84880/
Relevancy 66.65%

While performing system restore I lost power and my hp pavillion dv6 got shutdown. When I tried to boot, using the original windows 7 64 bit cd, I get the message: Error occurd while attempting to read the boot configuration data: Status: 0xc0000225. IN the next line I see File\boot\bcd. After researching I found that my bootsect.exe file missing. I copied the file from the windows 7 cd and now I get the error message: 0xc000098. need help
Thank you

A:Error Message: 0xc 0000225 windows can't find hard drive , can't boot

I also tried the command : bootrec /rebuildbcd >> I get the message: total identified windows installations: 0 instead of 1. So, the system is not recognizing harddrive? But, I just copied all my documents from hard drives to an external hard drive. It's the boot is not recognizing the hard drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/305434-error-message-0xc-0000225-windows-cant-find-hard-drive-cant-boot.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I just tried to switch hard drives between my EMachine T6528 to my Dell Dimension 8400. I thought I did it correctly, but it is giving me the message "No Boot Device Available". Can you direct me in what to do?
Thanks,
Kristeena7

A:"No boot device available" (Just installed new hard drive)

Make sure that the device to which you are trying to boot (the optical drive?) is recognized by the BIOS as bootable and enabled and is in the boot order list.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-boot-device-available-just-installed-new-hard-drive.1156614/
Relevancy 62.35%

I just installed a brand new Western Digital Hard Drive 160 gig. I partitioned it with FDISK, then formated, then did a clean install of windows XP. Everything was fine until after i finished the installation, and i tried to connect my old maxtor 20 gig so i could transfer some files over, and the computer stopped reading both hard drives. When i start it up, the computer can't boot from either drive. I've tried disconnecting each of the drives and only booting with one connected, with no luck. I also tried changing the gray strip, I can't remember what its official name is, but that didnt help either. When I go into BIOS and let it auto detect my drives, It wont recognize either of the drives.

A:New hard drive installed sucessfully, now my computer cant find any hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-installed-sucessfully-now-my-computer-cant-find-any-hard-drive.290955/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have seen this all over the internet but not sure what do do next.  I tried installing the rediness tool.....just searches and searches for hours and hours....tried to install other windows updates from microsoft website, and either nothing opens or it runs and runs and runs.  

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/I-installed-at-new-hard-drive-installed-operating-system-but-now/td-p/459327
Relevancy 61.06%

to boot up Here's my issue I have a HP Desk top w I with newly installed my get (1TB) 7 installed Hard do Win Drive How a standard GB hard Drive I bought a new Hard drive TB Western Digital so that I could move everything to the new one and use the old one as storage I had trouble even formatting the new drive but eventually got it and successfully installed a full version How do I get my newly installed Hard Drive (1TB) with Win 7 installed of Win the old hard drive has Win Vista with Win upgrade on it When I boot up the computer I receive a message asking which WIN i want to use and actually either one works I wanted to format my old drive so that I would only have one Operating system w WIN installed I tried to format it the old drive at the command prompt but alas it wouldn't let me So I said the hell with it and opened the case and disconnected the power cord first and then I unplugged the SATA cable as well How do I get my newly installed Hard Drive (1TB) with Win 7 installed as the power How do I get my newly installed Hard Drive (1TB) with Win 7 installed cable to the hard drive I tried to re-start the computer but now it says cannot find something unable to read or error So I take it something is missing from the new WIN install to my new hard drive WOuld luv a simple fix explanation from someone waay more knowledgeable than myself Thanks in Advance R Dave

A:How do I get my newly installed Hard Drive (1TB) with Win 7 installed

Did you by any chance have both drives connected when you reinstalled? If so, your boot files may be on the 320 gig drive.

Try running a startup repair--you may have to run it 3 times.

Startup Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/191444-how-do-i-get-my-newly-installed-hard-drive-1tb-win-7-installed.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I am having this really strange error with one of my computers.

My computer (running Windows XP Home) boots normally and I can use it just fine. When I leave it alone for a while though, I come back to a screen with the message "Hard Drive not found." If I reboot the computer it loads normally and I can use the computer like nothing ever happened. It has done this twice now. It doesn't happen while I am using the computer but if it sits for a while this will happen.

Any suggestions as to what this is?

Thanks.

A:"No Hard drive found" message after successful boot.

Just an idea: try going to the Power Option?s in Control Panel and turn off the hard disk Sleep ? Turn Off Hard Disk? ?after xx mins? change to Never. Then give it a try, let me know if it works.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-hard-drive-found-message-after-successful-boot-8987.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I am having this really strange error with one of my computers.

My computer (running Windows XP Home) boots normally and I can use it just fine. When I leave it alone for a while though, I come back to a screen with the message "Hard Drive not found." If I reboot the computer it loads normally and I can use the computer like nothing ever happened. It has done this twice now. It doesn't happen while I am using the computer but if it sits for a while this will happen.

Any suggestions as to what this is?

Thanks.

A:"No Hard drive found" message after successful boot.

Could be an issue with it going into standby mode or the power saving feature where you can cut the power to the HD after a certain amount of time.

Try right click desktop -> properties -> screen saver -> power, and make sure turn off hard disks is set to never (these steps are for win 2000, but I think it works for XP too). You could also turn off standby mode and see if you get the same problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-hard-drive-found-message-after-successful-boot.177204/
Relevancy 60.2%

At start up I am getting the blue screen which says "remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers"

I did take out the hard drive and connected it to another computer using a sata to usb cable, but the drive was not recognized so I put the hard drive back.

Now when I am unable to boot up. It is a windows 7 64bit.

A:BSOD -Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers

Please upload the BSOD Posting Instructions http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/96879-blue-screen-death-bsod-posting-instructions.html. Upload the files here, this will tell you how. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/9733-screenshots-files-upload-post-seven-forums.html

Also, please give us a better explanation so we will understand what you did.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/375064-bsod-remove-any-newly-installed-hard-drives-hard-drive-controllers.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a backup drive that we had used for for a while (WD 6000aak), previously in an external drive enclosure. I connected it today via USB to find that the computer has the driver installed, the drive appears in the Devices list, but it does not show in My Computer. In "Disk Management" the drive appears but is not assigned a drive letter. Also, all the options for the volumes are greyed out and cannot be selected - thus I cannot assign a drive letter.

I have tried this on multiple computers. I have also removed it from the enclosure and connected the drive via SATA... the result is identical. I checked the bios and the drive appears there.

The drive does spin when powering up. It is hot (even though it cannot really be accessed).

Any suggestions? Is this drive done?

A:Hard drive installed, shows in Drive Mngmnt, in Bios, but not in Comp.

Go to Disk Management, in the bottom part of the screen, right click the drive, select 'change drive letter or path', next window select add, next window select a drive letter from the drop down box. For an external drive it's best to use a letter lower in the alphabet. If disk management wants to initialize and format it, don't do it if there is data on it you don't want to lose. If no data or if you don't care, go ahead. It will show in computer when a drive letter is assigned.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/336639-hard-drive-installed-shows-drive-mngmnt-bios-but-not-comp.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Is it possible to have pre-installed vista on your internal drive then buy a new external drive, install XP on it and then boot that drive to use XP?

A:Running Xp on an external hard drive with Vista installed on internal drive.

Yes this is possible as long as your BIOS supports booting from USB.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/running-xp-on-an-external-hard-drive-with-vista-installed-on-internal-drive.934768/
Relevancy 58.48%

Does anyone know what is the significance of this message. i first noticed it at christmas, after i installed a lite-on dvd writer in place of my dvd-rom drive.
the message indicates to me something isnt correctly fitted. however both my drives are working correctly and all connections appear fully engaged. over this weekend the computer has failed to power up correctly, it appears to immediately cease when turned on (dont even get the initial specification details screen.) however this is fixed if the reset button is used. same on reboot to restart - ceases - and then i have to reset.
i am running a 5 year old amd 950mhz on a tyan trinity k7 mb with 512 sdram. this looks like a potential terminal problem am i correct!!!!
any comments appreciated

A:Boot Up Message -- Secondary IDE no 80 conductor cable installed

It means you need to replace your old 40 wire IDE cable with a newer one that has 80 wires. Evidently your new DVD-Writer is looking for the newer grounding requirements of the 80 pin cable.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-up-message-secondary-ide-no-80-conductor-cable-installed.327799/
Relevancy 58.48%

Last boot message on screen "AHCI BIOS not installed", then blank screen.

non branded
XP Home
intel LGA 775 965 motherboard
adata 512 ddr2 ram
DVD ide burner
WD ide drive

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi.. whenever I enter my windows xp home edition cd it loads up then it says "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system" also when I try to log onto my windows account it logs in then immediatly logs off so I cant do anything on the comuter but enter the cd and the cd cant detect hard disk drives. I think my computer is a foxconn type sorry im totally clueless

A:Error Message:Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system

You may need to press F6 during setup and load the hard disk controller drivers. You can download these from the Foxconn site if you know the correct motherboard model. have you registered windows XP? When you say logon do you enter a password? You need to supply a little bit more details so we can help. Cheers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-system.88043/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a three month old Dell Dimension GHZ P Gig Ram and a gig SATA Hard Drive When I got the computer I used the files and transfer PC Relocator utility And had in Error system drives did hard Message: disk find Setup not your installed any a bunch of unwanted extras that came with it I m having a Satellite Internet system installed and they wanted a clean install of windows XP So I opened the owner s manual and got out the reinstallation disk and the problems began By the way Dell tech support s only response has been to say gee that s not right and would send a tech sometime after Christmas Anyway heres step by step what I did I boot to the Dell reinstallation disk Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system The windows setup screen appears and loads files The next screen says welcome to setup and offers three options -to setup XP press enters To repair XP press R to exit without installing XP press F I press enter and the following message comes up Setup did not find any hard disk installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected And any disk related configuration is correct ect Press F to quit It dose this if I try repair also Dell had me check the connections to the HD and Motherboard They re good And debug the hard drive No luck Everything worked fine until I put in the reinstallation disk Any help would be welcome nbsp

A:Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system

During Setup, it will ask you if you need any extra drivers such as SCSI (or SATA in your case). If so, press F6. Now you are in trouble, because SATA drivers come on a floppy and new(er) Dells don't have a floppy anymore. Borrow a floppy-drive from another PC and install that in your Dell.
Setting up with the Dell disks, I'm not sure if they are RESTORE-disks or full XP-disks.
That may cause another problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-system.18329/
Relevancy 58.05%

Error Message:Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system but with acer aspire t650 what can i do

A:Error Message:Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system

Does it have a sata drive?? If so you have to insert the sata driver by pressing F6 at the beginning of the windows install!!

The needed driver should be on a cd and/or floppy supplied with the pc!!

If you dont have them, then the acer webiste is the place to look!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-system.64260/
Relevancy 57.62%

Windows XP Professional Service Pack build gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache WDC WD BB- FTA Hard drive GB -- drive s n WD-WMAET rev and Multiple drive clicking, hard drive freezing errors, hard boot R SMART Status Healthy Hard drive Just a few weeks ago my hard drive started clicking and suddenly my system froze The drive wasn't dropped bumped or anything like that It was fairly new as well I was having some issues accessing my files AND I couldn't access the internet through any browsers Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing I was connected could play internet-using games but got no reply from websites I decided to reformat Well that didn't go so well Reformatting did not fix the freezing issue nor did it fix the internet issue I attempted to reformat the partition on C but it Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing simply wouldn't let me Hard drive I pulled out a newish hard drive and formatted it installed my applications and continued on my way Everything was working great until a day later when the hard drive AGAIN froze in the middle of a session and this time I couldn't even boot I was getting a boot error that mentioned not receiving a boot file name I went into the windows repair console and did a chkdsk which turned up Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing a few errors and attempted to recover them I assume I could now boot but random freezing would still take place now and then and EVERY DAY I have to access the repair console due to boot errors Almost every other attempt to boot results in freezing before startup not being able to access the boot file or a blue screen of death So I Hard drive Same things happening I must have reformatted at least times by now and I'm beginning to give strange looks at my motherboard The computer seems to DECIDE when to work and not work When it doesn't boot the hard drive makes a constant clicking noise This next part will sound bad after getting boot errors all day I walked down stairs to find some new hardware When I got back up my cat had knocked the hard drive which was disconnected and outside of the computer onto the wooden floor It's a foot drop so I was getting worried I plugged it in and tried to star what do you know Here I am Now I'm certain it's only a matter of time before it freezes again The thing is freezing usually occurs when I'm running one or more programs at a time The computer is going incredibly slow at the moment Is it a certain program that is messing up my registry or would it be a problem with my motherboard dontknow

A:Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing

Try installing another operating system onto the disk and seeing if that crashes as well. If it doesn't you probably have a bad Windows cd. I suggest trying Kubuntu, a version of Linux meant to look somewhat like Windows (You can click here to skip directly to the download page). Just remember to actually install the thing. Most Linux operating systems can be ran directly from the cd without any need to be installed onto a hard disk. There's usually a program on the desktop that will install the system for you. If it runs properly for a week or two, get a new Windows disk. If it crashes just as much as Windows did, get a new computer.

Also, how much RAM does your computer have? If it's very low (256-512 megs or less) it can sometimes cause these kinds of crashes too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/multiple-hard-drive-boot-errors-hard-drive-clicking-and-freezing-374232.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have two laptops, a ThinkPad T30 and a Latitude C840 (they are both working with XP SP2, except the T30 doesn't have a screen). I'd like to move the T30's drive into the C840, but when I do this, the C840 will hang right after the BIOS screen (incl. the XP CD's Press a key to boot off the CD if I tell it to boot from the disc drive first).

My first thought was to try Recovery Console from the XP CD. I can log into the install, and I've already tried fixmbring and fixbooting it. This doesn't help.

This leaves the option of the drivers not being right. I installed the C840 chipset drivers, nothing.

I'd really rather not go on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what'll get things up and running, so can you guys gimme a suggestion?

Thanks!
Ethan

A:Moved hard drive and cannot boot; hard drive accessable from Recovery Console

You can't simple move one drive from one machine to another because the drivers are specific to the hardware. Did you receive recovery CDs for the Latitude? If so, you could use them to "restore" it to its factory default with the new drive. This may actually be on a partition of the hard drive.
As an alternative, you could create an image of the original drive and restore it to the new one using some freeware such as DriveImage XML. To restore the image to the new drive, you'll need to boot to a bootable CD using something like UBCD4WIN and restore the image from somewhere on your network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moved-hard-drive-and-cannot-boot-hard-drive-accessable-from-recovery-console.528901/
Relevancy 56.33%

after a few problems i have just purchased a new HDD reinstalled windows no problem but what i am hoping you guys can help me with is:

I also have a little 10gb hard drive which was in the pc when i got it, on this 10gb drive are a few programs etc, i want transferring to my new 80gb i am a complete novice so please be gentle with me

Steve

Relevancy 56.33%

hi there i installed the second hard disk SATA Hard Drive 160Gb Seagate 7200.7 ST3160023AS with no problems on my dell dimension 5000 its coming up as a C drive so do i have formatt it to windows or do i just leave it the way it is the Drive has been fdisked and formatted to NTFS already for OS i want to use it with the hard disk i have already to install programs on it as my hard disk is nearly full any advice.

A:installed my second hard drive

Take a look at how your computer sees your drives by going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disc Management to be sure your boot order and disc labels are correct.
You have a lot of choices, but you cannot have the Dell Boot on both drives.
Most find it wise to use one drive for operating system and programs, and the second for data and operations related to the installed software.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-my-second-hard-drive.75514/
Relevancy 56.33%

Is this the right Forum I have an older Compaq nc with a failing Fujitsu G HD that I decided to replace with a SSD PATA IDE drive Transcend TS GSD GB IDE Hardware Agere Systems AC Modem Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Intel R Ultra ATA Storage Controler - CA HL-DT-ST RW DVD GCC- N DVD Drive ATI MOBILITY RADEON Series Display Adapter Intel R PRO Wireless BG Network Connection O Micro OZ M MemoryCardBus Controller Intel R Pentium R M processor GHz Started machine with OS recovery disk to load windows XP Loaded SP and all drivers Computer seemed SSD Hard Drive installed OK at first Then every time it is started up Windows loads up SSD Hard Drive installed to the background and stalls It takes another minutes or so to get the task bar and systray Also after a minute or so a window opens to tell me that a driver for some hardware has successfully loaded but the list of the hardware is blank Then the CPU maxes out the fan starts and the machine slows way down When I look at processes in Task Manager there is a svchost that is using of the CPU cycles When I kill this svchost process the machine runs much more in line with what I expected What do I do to fix it I need for this computer to run with the SSD drive nbsp

A:SSD Hard Drive installed

Is the SSD seen by the bios? The OS recovery disk is in a CD drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-hard-drive-installed.198946/
Relevancy 56.33%

Ok so I came up with a brilliant idea to install a new hard drive on my dell inspiron 6000. However, I have no clue about computers. So I installed the operatins system windows XP and some drivers but some things are not working properly.
Some drivers are missing such as Video Controller ( vga compatible)., Where do I find this stuff? Also, my internet is really slow. Some pages take forever to load. I am guessing I am missing some plug ins? What do I need to install on my computer so it can function again like a normal computer? What drivers and plug ins do I need? What other software do I need? THanks for your help

A:Installed new hard drive, what do I do next?

You can go to the dell website and look under support drivers and downloads for the xp drivers needed for your model of computer and go from there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-new-hard-drive-what-do-i-do-next.1012433/
Relevancy 56.33%

My Level: Computer Savvy... know NOTHING about Hardware though. : )
After my computer failing to boot for a week I've gone in the BIOS and re-set the boot order to

Hard Drive
Removable Drive
CD
Disabling (the PXE thing)

Pc now boots fine, but the Primary Slave Hard Drive is not installed? Have I lost it? If I "install" it (assuming that I can...) will that wipe it clean? This is my back-up data drive and just want to know if I've lost it completely or not. Whatever the case, I do NOT want to wipe it if it's not dead already.

Thanks, and sorry for the basic question. : )

A:Hard Drive Not Installed

Gaminatrix said:

My Level: Computer Savvy... know NOTHING about Hardware though. : )
After my computer failing to boot for a week I've gone in the BIOS and re-set the boot order to

Hard Drive
Removable Drive
CD
Disabling (the PXE thing)

Pc now boots fine, but the Primary Slave Hard Drive is not installed? Have I lost it? If I "install" it (assuming that I can...) will that wipe it clean? This is my back-up data drive and just want to know if I've lost it completely or not. Whatever the case, I do NOT want to wipe it if it's not dead already.

Thanks, and sorry for the basic question. : )Click to expand...

Can you change it from Primary Slave Hard Drive to Secondary Master or Slave .. In other words can you try it on the other channel?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-installed.390414/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello all!!!! My name is John. I am trying to find some help with an issue that arose after I installed a new hard drive in my computer. I started getting a message that stated:

C:\Users\Owner\App Data\Local\Conduit\API Support\API Support.dll

Anyone know how I can repair this? I saved an image of my system before installing the new hard drive and then just downloaded the image to the new hard drive. HELP!!! please!!

A:Installed new hard drive

You might just need to run some registry cleaners to fix and remove those corrupt registry keys.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-new-hard-drive.201991/
Relevancy 56.33%

Greetings all...Info:Gatway 7330GZ LaptopPent 4 (3.2GHZ)1/2 G RamXP Pro SP2A few months ago the hard drive on this unit crashed, massive clicking?. Tried everything to recover, including freezing the HD, didn?t work. I installed a new drive this AM and used a recovery disk copied off the net for this model, no disks were made when the unit was purchased (not my unit, a friends). XP installed but I am unable to get online to do any additional updates.In device manager I have yellow ! on the following:Other Devices Ethernet Controller Multimedia Audio Controller Network Controller PCI Modem Video Controller Video Controller (VGA Compatible)Due to the amount of yellow ! I seem to think that the recovery disk, although it appeared to work, was not the right one. I think if I can get to the net I will be able to update these drivers and XP to SP3.Thanks in advance for your assistanceCrapgame

A:Installed New Hard Drive, cant get to the net

This link should be of use: Gateway Support

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/414623/installed-new-hard-drive-cant-get-to-the-net/
Relevancy 56.33%

I just installed a new SATA HD. In Disk Management it shows Unallocated. What do I need to do to get it going. Thanks,

A:New Hard Drive Installed

In disk management choose simple volume, allocate the amount of space you want, format it, then give it a name or letter. From what I can recall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/125793-new-hard-drive-installed.html
Relevancy 56.33%

if i want to move all my music to my other drive, how do i keep itunes "connected" to them?
i don't want to go through and add all my music to itunes again, and i want to keep the play count on it.

any help apprecciated

thanks

A:I just got my second hard drive installed and...

TacoPaco9317 said:

any help apprecciatedClick to expand...

Found this on the iTunes Web site:

iTunes for Windows: Moving your iTunes Music folder
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305451

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-just-got-my-second-hard-drive-installed-and.596599/
Relevancy 56.33%

Been meaning to ask this question for at least 2 years. Is it possible
to take a hard drive with an already installed OS, XP to even 95 and
connect it to 'another,different ' mobo/system and power up with
something resembling positive results??

-M

Relevancy 56.33%

I installed the new 320GB hard drive today. Got everything back together, put the computer back where it belongs, turned it on. I then installed the operating system disk, got a little more that 1/2 way thru and it's been running in "installing windows " for about a little more than 3 hours. Is it supposed to be this darn slow? I went from a 40GB to a 320GB. Checked with the geek squad before i left the store, followed all the directions to the letter. The system is still running on "installing windows" as it has been. I know the system is still running as the blinking lights on the screen are still present. Also it tells me that it will be finished in 34 minutes. That was at about 3:30 pm. The disk is still running. Do i continue to wait? Please advise.

A:New hard drive installed but...................

Check out these references and see if either helps resolve your problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815319

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/366290/new-hard-drive-installed-but/
Relevancy 56.33%

hey I just installed a new GB hard drive and then looked at it in My Computer and it said GB but then I scanned new drive, 57.2 60 hard now? installed Gb GB just the disk for errors and when the scan was done my Hard disk was only capasity is this normal this is completly empty of course as its just installed new 60 Gb hard drive, 57.2 GB now? new and not been used yet a secondary question does anyone know how to just installed new 60 Gb hard drive, 57.2 GB now? have desktops one or more for each drive my Nvidia Video card software seems to indicate that I can just wondering if anybody knows anything about this edit oh and another thing while im here I might as well ask I have also an external hard drive case my new hard disk is in there but it says its for USB but I think my Gygabyte VTXE model Motherboard only has USB will this make any diffrence in my new hard Disks performance I could have just installed it into the PC with the origional hard disk but the only shelf available was directly under the existing hard disk and there was so little room between the hard disks they actually touch each other that I was worried this might harm them because of any extra heat and less ventalation from haveing the right on top of each other Feel free to comment on this to I have Windows XP sp the new hard drive is a maxtor RPM Ultra ATA buffer size mb after I bought I read now that i should have gotten mb buffer but I dont know diffrence mines not a supercomputer anyway so if the Hard disk is far from the top of the line it should fit right in nbsp

A:just installed new 60 Gb hard drive, 57.2 GB now?

A 60 gig drive in disk manufacturer's gigabytes is really 55.88 gig in real gigabytes. It's the difference between calling a gigabyte 1,000,000,000 (disk makers) and 1.073.741.824 (Windows and the rest of the planet).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/just-installed-new-60-gb-hard-drive-57-2-gb-now.367806/
Relevancy 56.33%

heres my situation

i had to replace my hard drive with a new one, so i had to install win98 SE, the problem is this. it looks really crummy, no sound, the video looks really. well "old". i reformatted it last time with the discs that came with the pc. the plug and play cannot update the driver for the multimedia PCI and a few other things, how can i get any plug and plays that it cant find to "find" them? i cant get any sound, and the video quality is bad. thanks!

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Compaq Presario 1930 Notebook, when I turn it on, the screen shows "Operating System not found" , reboot and press F10 entering SETUP, it shows " Hard drive not installed: If operating system not found, re-install hard drive. Hit any key to exit." do nothing and wait for a while, it get into PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility, press F9 Setup Defaults to load default configuration, then press F10 save configration changes and exit, it's running but stuck in Microsoft Windows98 screen. I can still hear the hard drive running noise, but nothing happen to the notebook's screen.
Please give me your advise to find out where the problem is. Thanks.

Relevancy 56.33%

i just put in a new 80gb harddrive in addition to my 1st one. i booted up and it said something about reinstalling windows, and not knowing anybetter, i installed it to my second hard drive...! now when my box boots up, i have 2 winXP's to choose from, one from each drive. i want the 2nd/new harddrive to be used just for storage, maybe even linux . i did this awhile ago and have installed programs and games using the new windows. How can i uninstall one of the windowsXP's so that i have one disk that runs windows and the programs/files/games on that drive, as well as the programs and such from the other drive (that i only want for storage, and possibly linux)?? Also, im not sure i changed the pins on the new harddrive to denote primary/slave... does that have something to do with it??

Thanks

A:XP installed itself on my 2nd hard drive!?

If you are not sure of how the hard disks have been configured and none of us could help.

On a same cable one hard disk must be configured as a Master while the other as a slave. Only the master boots.

Base on your description I suspect you have triggered a dual boot with XP and have installed the two operating system on the "same drive". A drive without an operating system should not be able to tell you to reinstall windows. Also I have not seen a version of Windows allowing me to choose which hard disk to continue with a boot up, unless you are into the virtual machine software.

Please check again and confirm.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-installed-itself-on-my-2nd-hard-drive.240034/
Relevancy 56.33%

I installed a new hard drive into a Dell desktop and when I tried to install Windows 10, all I keep getting is invalid partition message. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it? Of course I'm trying to install it using my USB port. I've gone into the system set and restarted it several times and to no avail. Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-new-hard-drive.1168475/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Dell-Dimension Series with an Intel Pentium Processor My computer had given me an error message hard a Installed New drive about a missing or corrupt file Windows It stopped booting and wouldn t do anything from this point A couple friends of mine told me to replace the hard drive so I did Well we have the hard drive installed It won t do anything else aside from go to the computer s setup menu with options such as Drive configuration hard-disk drive sequence CPU information etc I did get the guy at Radio Shack to help me ensure that it was recognizing the hard drive and it is It just won t read the Windows disk and do anything else Can somebody please Installed a New hard drive help me ensure that my settings are correct and help me get to the part where I set up Windows I don t know anything about computers and I m fixing to throw mine out the door Thank you nbsp

A:Installed a New hard drive

you need to setup to boot off the CD (windows CD or recovery CD ) what do you have ?
This is a bios setting - boot order
make the CD 1st before the harddrive

On Dell I think there is a F key to also choose boot device F11 or F12 i think - but need to look up

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-a-new-hard-drive.898597/
Relevancy 56.33%

History stated in http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/713509-checking-disk-stalls-system-help.html

Finally got around to replacing the hard drive (been using other laptops) but at boot up get the following message:
PXE:E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found

How do I fix this? Please help...

Relevancy 56.33%

Hello all Apologies if this has cropped up before I'm just hoping someone on here can maybe help Basically I have a USB External Harddrive that I was using on my desktop I have since wanted to use this device for travelling with my laptop and decided today to plug it into my laptop which is running XP Prof SP When i plug it in Windows brings up the Install New Hardware wizard window which when i go through it always fails to install the device This had been happening recently with a few USB pendrives i had tried to use It seems windows doesn't like to install certain plug n play devices like it should I have no problem with other USB devices and i know that the external hard drive and pen drives work fine as they both work on my desktop and house mates computer Anyone got any ideas about this one Any way to get my hard drive working with my laptop I am assuming this is some sort of XP problem Any help appreciated

A:USB Hard Drive not being installed

Do you have any yellow or red flags in device manager next to
usb devices?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-hard-drive-not-being-installed-233348.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Windows does not see it. Running Windows 7 64 Ultimate. I have 16Gb's of memory onboard. What do I need to do to get it up and running?

A:Installed a 3Gb hard drive

Hi jpk

Can you give us a full screen snip of Disk Management

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

It may be recognized, but unallowcated & unformatted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/308024-installed-3gb-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I got the bright idea of making a clone of my existing W D hard drive using their LifeGuard utility to use in my new mb processor case and do an quot In place upgrade quot to retain the original files setting and passwords I understand that I ll probably have to reactivate Windows MB Installed Drive Hard XP Using New Old w/ because I m changing so many of the system components at the New MB Using Old Hard Drive w/ XP Installed same time The quot bright idea quot of using a clone was that in case I make a mistake I New MB Using Old Hard Drive w/ XP Installed ll still have all my original files settings and passwords After I successfully complete the upgrade I will use the old components along with a new copy of XP for a machine for my younger kids to use When I tried to make the copy the clone was not bootable I tried the utility again making the mistake of using an option with a title something like quot make the destination bootable quot and what I ended up with neither of my hard drives being bootable Actually they look like they boot get the welcome screen but no user names come up to click on to log on I even tried booting to an XP Windows diskette and every safe mode option provided to me without success I still have my older daughter s XP computer in which I could install my old system hard drive in order to perform a rescue if someone could tell me what to do I m a little leery of booting from the XP install disk and using the recovery repair console because of all the comments I ve read about people loosing everything on their hard drives and having to reinstall from scratch Thanks sorry for the long message but I wanted to get all the facts in GrouchoFields nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-mb-using-old-hard-drive-w-xp-installed.243034/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi,
My wife's computer wouldn't power up this morning (W2K). She is in the middle of an important job. It wasn't the fuse or the lead.
Can I take out her hard drive, put it in my machine as a slave and copy the information from her hard drive to mine?
Will my pc (XP) try to load her operating system, or will there be other conflicts that would prevent me doing this?
Thanks, in advance for any help or advice.
zitnok

A:add 2nd hard drive with installed os

Yes, you can place the drive in another computer as a slave (make sure to change the jumper and check the one on the other drive) or in an external USB enclosure.
You may need to "take possession of " the files and folders to access them.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
NO, it should not try to boot the other drive (it couldn't even if it tried since the Hardware Abstraction Layer will be invalid for your computer) if you put it in as a slave.
To be absolutely sure of this you could make sure that the slave drive is not listed in boot order in the BIOS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/add-2nd-hard-drive-with-installed-os.735351/
Relevancy 56.33%

I installed a new hard drive in my brothers XPS 1530 Dell laptop. I tried to install the windows 7 but i keep getting a message that tells me no boot drives detected. i ran the pre-boot system assessment and everything has passed so far, what do i do now?

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi, I just installed a new hard drive on a Compaq Presario V2403NR laptop. I have tried to install or reinstall the windows operating system CD that came with the computer, but after loading all the files, kernals etc., it will not allow me to recover or finish the installation. It says it doesn't recognize any hard drives. How do I get it to recognize this or how do I get the windows to boot? I can't get into CMOS or any other menu to safe boot either. the only place it will let me in, is the BIOS setup. It doesn't recognize or support the quick hard drive system test located under the TOOLS tab. I don't know where else to turn. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Relevancy 56.33%

I just installed a new Seagate 1TB HD as my second drive. In the near future I want to set up a multi OS booting, Vista, Windows7 and later Linux.
Vista is on my C: drive and I wonder if I should load Win7 and Linux an the first two partitions of the second drive or create two new partitions on Drive 1 and install them there.
Also
Partition Wizard Home Edition v5.0 shows Disk 2 that the first partition is *: and that it is unallocated, Capacity 7.88GB, Used 0GB, Unused 7.88GB, Status None and Type as Logical. Should these settings be changed?

Thank you

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282267-new-hard-drive-installed.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I just installed a new Seagate 1TB HD as my second drive. In the near future I want to set up a multi OS booting, Vista, Windows7 and later Linux.
Vista is on my C: drive and I wonder if I should load Win7 and Linux an the first two partitions of the second drive or create two new partitions on Drive 1 and install them there.
Also
Partition Wizard Home Edition v5.0 shows Disk 2 that the first partition is *: and that it is unallocated, Capacity 7.88GB, Used 0GB, Unused 7.88GB, Status None and Type as Logical. Should these settings be changed?

Thank you

A:New Hard Drive installed

Originally Posted by BarrieNoodles

Also

Thank you

If you're going to be using Linux then I suggest you make 2 partitions on the second drive and install them seperately, otherwise Linux will take up the whole hard drive for it's tiny OS, it converts it to a format that cannot be used or detected in windows so I would allocate about 10GB for Linux and leave the rest for W7
PS: Any chance you can move this thread to General Discussion Brink or Zero or any other moderators passing by?

Dave

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/282266-new-hard-drive-installed.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a 1T SATA system drive and a 1T SATA working drive. I installed a 3T SATA storage drive, and now my system won't boot from the C:. I have to go into the BIOS and boot from there, or use a boot disk. How do I get the system to boot from C: again?

A:Installed storage drive, now system drive will not boot

Hello,
Was 1T drive was removed from the computer or it is still present in the computer and what is the boot sequence selected?
Also does your motherboard support 3TB hard drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/255711-installed-storage-drive-now-system-drive-will-not-boot.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I just recently replaced my year old hard drive with a new one and loaded a fresh copy of windows xp on it After I installed all the drivers and updated xp to Service pack the screen would just go blank every so often id say about every - minutes and i would have to hard restart My question is what do now new problems? drive Installed hard having you think would be causing my computer to do that im getting ready to upgrade from a ATI Pro to an X mb card and im adding another mb of memory I recently put a new AMD processor in and a ASUS A V motherboard in november I have had no problems except my old hard drive failing Do you think it is a power Installed new hard drive now having problems? issue Installed new hard drive now having problems? i think i have a watt power supply that is about years old in it or do you think SP could be causing problems or a driver issue Thanks for the help nbsp

A:Installed new hard drive now having problems?

It could be any number of things but the PS would be a good place to start because that's where everything begins...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-new-hard-drive-now-having-problems.370023/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi, Recently my hard drive in my Dell Dimension 8250 went kaput so I installed a new hard drive and installed Windows XP on it and everything seems so far so good. I was just wondering if there is anything I could do different to make sure this hard drive doesnt crash like the last one? Could there be something inside the computer that caused the previous hard drive to crash like that? Could not cleaning the inside of the computer fan cause this?

A:Hard drive went kaput.Installed a new one!!!!

Heat can indeed cause electronics and mechanical devices to fail, cleaning out the dust and making sure the fans are always working is important.

But hard drives do fail no matter how well you treat them, they're extremely precise devices and are prone to failure. Backing up is your only true solution to preventing data loss.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-went-kaput-installed-a-new-one.434873/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a Dell Dimension Everything was fine until a power outage PC came up with black screen and hal dll file missing or corrupt message Also the hard drive was drive read won't New xp hard cd installed clicking consistently After trying to fix the error and suspecting New hard drive installed won't read xp cd a hard drive problem due to the New hard drive installed won't read xp cd ticking I read that you can test whether that means hard drive problem by disconnecting data cable - it drive still New hard drive installed won't read xp cd ticks it s bad I did and it did - kept ticking it was as WD gb drive if that s important I installed a Maxtor gb PATA drive When I put the Maxblast cd in the drive or Windows XP cd in the drive they are ignored and I get a message that I need a Boot Disk in A I can get into setup that s all and verify that it s set to boot from CD I even disable all other options to be sure Drive lights up as normal but message on the screen continues to say I need a Boot Disk in A Maxtor CD can make a bootable floppy so I did that and tried it in A and that didn t work either I don t have the XP bootable floppy set for that machine but could make a set with another xp machine Will that work Is there a way to confirm that my cd drive is working Any reasons why the bootable floppy from Maxtor wouldn t work Is it possible the power interruption fried all my hardware Sorry for so many questions It s ok to just answer the ones that matter lt g gt Thank you so much for any help you can provide nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

I have just installed a new Sata 250gb hard drive and wish to take the old 40gb out... How do I make the new drive my primary drive? I have already ghosted the drives...

A:New Hard drive installed and ghosted

You should ideally just be able to remove the 40gb drive. Did norton ghost set the partition on the 250gb drive as active?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-installed-and-ghosted.938414/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all. I took my old hard drive from my ME system, changed the jumper to "slave" and put it in my new XP unit. Before closing my XP unit, I changed the jumper on the hard drive from "cable" to "master". Boot up, open My Computer and don't see the second hard drive. I've heard a couple of things: NTFS (did I say that right?) won't recognize the FAT 32 drive from ME (I thought it should be backward compatible) and/or I need to do something to my BIOS. Anybody have any suggestions??? Thanx.

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi there,

I want to partition my hdd into 3 section.
c: --. balance after d & e partition.
d: -- 20 GB
e: -- 350 GB

I am not sure what software is the best to partition it.

Hope to hear from everyone.

A:How to partition hard drive after w7 installed

Is anything currently on this hard drive?  Stated size if hard drive?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/499547/how-to-partition-hard-drive-after-w7-installed/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi everyone,
My PC died recently, took it up to PC World, and they told me that the processor fan had stopped, the Processor had overheated, and blown up, causing the motherboard to crack. There were no files on that computer that I needed, but I got a new PC, and was just wondering if it would be possible to take the hard drive out of the broken machine, put it into the new one, and boot off of that drive (I have heard that there might be some issues due to Windows being tied to that particular motherboard). Windows Vista was pre-installed when I bought it.
Thanks

A:Can I use Pre installed Vista Hard Drive in another PC?

You are correct, Vista install is tied to that old system. So you will lose the activation, BUT you can call up MS and tell them your system broke and they usually allow you to reactivate.

BUT since the 2 systems are different, odds are the Vista won't boot, and if it does there are many drivers not going to work and it is usually easier to reinstall.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/300756-can-i-use-pre-installed-vista-hard-drive-another-pc.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi,

I installed a new hard drive on my Dell 4700. This is my first time so I am not sure what to do now. I am looking at a black screen that says....

No boot device available-
strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

Is this when I install Windows XPHome Edition? I don't want to miss something. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Danboy

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi. I just installed Windows XP SP1 onto my new hard drive because my other one is finished. I ordered the XP SP2 cd from the microsoft website and it should be here tomorrow or so. Should I wait before I install the updates that are ready for my computer right now from auto update or should I install these now and install the SP2 cd when I get it? Also I installed AVG Free Edition Antivirus. The Windows firewall is on and I have a Linksys router which I believe has a built in firewall of it's own. Do you think I am putting myself at risk not having another Firewall to go with the AVG antivirus?

Relevancy 55.9%

I was getting a disk read error before so I bought a bran new Hard drive, installed it and im getting this error message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key" I'm lost on what to do or what is wrong, I cant run any CD to install windows, in the BIOS it goes CD/DVD then my hard drive. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? and please explain things in simple terms. Thanks!

A:I installed a new hard drive getting error HELP!

Try manually booting from the DVD drive by using the popup boot menu during the BIOS POST.

It is usually access by pressing the F11 or F12 key during the POST.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/i-installed-a-new-hard-drive-getting-error-help-500921.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Title^ wmp = windows media player
please help

A:New hard drive, wmp not installed, where do i Download?

Get Windows Media Player - Microsoft Windows
You might, depending upon your Windows OS, get a slightly different Microsoft web site, however, the above is probably it.

If the above does not work for you, there may be a backdoor:
Download Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N with Service Pack 1 and Windows 7 KN with Service Pack 1 (KB968211) from Official Microsoft Download Center
Windows 7 x86 & x64 versions available

If none of the above works for you, please let us know, there are many others who can help!

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/66328-new-hard-drive-wmp-not-installed-where-do-i-download.html
Relevancy 55.9%

i recently bought a new hard drive with windows 7 home premium 32 bit installed. when i tried to install it in my pc it would not boot up, im assuming its because everything is new to it. i bought a windows 7 recovery disc but it has not helped. i did not get an install disc with the new hard drive. is there any hope for my problem? thanks, chris

A:new hard drive with window 7 installed

I'm curious----where can you buy a hard disk with Windows already installed on it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/201894-new-hard-drive-window-7-installed.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I noticed that whilst it says in the summary text near the top of the page that the unit has a 128GB SSD and 1TB Hard Drive, it doesn't appear to mention anything about the 1TB Hard Drive within the technical details. Is this a mistake on the page? Could someone clarify? Thanks,WIll

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Does the HP 15-ax003na come with a 1TB Hard Drive Installed?

Hey Will, The PC did come with 1 TB according to the marketing spec here: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c05159489.pdf -wes    

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Does-the-HP-15-ax003na-come-with-a-1TB-Hard-Drive-Installed/td-p/5773294
Relevancy 55.9%

I Bought A New Hard Drive Tried To Install Windows 7 But When I Try It Says I Need The Drivers I Don't Know Why I Installed A New Hard Drive On Another Laptop And It Never Asked Me For The Drivers When I Started To Install Windows 7 I Am Stumped Please Help

A:New Hard Drive Installed Trying To Install Win 7

What are you using to install windows ? A retail dvd ? Did you make the disc yourself ?

And what`s with all the capital letters LoL

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/272941-new-hard-drive-installed-trying-install-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have Vista Home Premium Upgrade from XP Media on a Dell w core duo processor About a Hard on Drive O/S Vista Twice Installed month ago something happened and I couldn't boot up I tried to use installation Vista O/S Installed on Hard Drive Twice disk and finally after several attempts I was able to I tried the repair option unsuccessfully I was able to reinstall the O S and got it up and running although I lost everything Pics video's music etc I noticed that even more of my GB hard drive was used up and saw when I was going to use disk cleanup tool that it said I could gain approx GB of space if I deleted previous Window installations I would like to know if it would be Vista O/S Installed on Hard Drive Twice safe to do so without affecting the reinstalled Window O S I also noticed that when I Vista O/S Installed on Hard Drive Twice click on Computer and click on C drive that it does include Windows amp Windows old I'm not an advanced user and would appreciate any help I'm given Thank you ahead of time Or is there any way to access the previously installed Windows

A:Vista O/S Installed on Hard Drive Twice

Yo're not using those old windows installations so I would say go ahead do it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-o-s-installed-on-hard-drive-twice-292099.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I ve looked all over the internet put in the road runner disc looked all over my driver s disc and still can not get this internet to work I needed a new hard drive and installed it yesterday I ran the XP disc and ran the driver s disc earlier today So then I tried the road runner my internet connection which is through an ethernet on a cable modem disc and it said my connection failed It told me drive Installed internet hard new no and I was missing a network adaptor or that it Installed new hard drive and no internet wasn t installed I do have a network adaptor so I m guessing it s not installed I also went to run and typed devmgmt msc There are yellow question marks by ethernet controller multimedia audio controller sm bus controller and video controller Could anyone tell me how I would go about installing this these My PC is a dell dimension and since I can t access the internet on that PC if I could download the driver for it on the website would I be able to burn it as Installed new hard drive and no internet a Installed new hard drive and no internet data disc and put it on the PC that s missing it Any help on this would be appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Installed new hard drive and no internet

Get the latest chipset and networking drivers from Dell's web site, support section. Use your Service Tag for easier searching. Yes, you can use CD, floppy, USB flash drive, etc., to copy those files between computers. Install the chipset first. You may need others, but those should give you network access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-new-hard-drive-and-no-internet.766050/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a Dell XPS that has been sitting un-used and un-plugged for several months.  Hooked it up today and it keeps showing "strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

F1 only makes the same message appear.
F2 takes me to the setup utility and I can see that under "Hard-disk Drive Sequence" it shows "Hard disk drive (not installed)"

HELP !!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592813/hard-disk-drive-not-installed/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello I just drive How pre-installed to hard 8 get new windows on bought a lenovo Z with windows and I also have a new hard drive coming The first thing I tried to do was create factory restore disks so that when the new hard drive gets here I can remove the old hard drive and replace it with the new one and put the pre-installed windows that came with the laptop on it I can't however find a way to create factory restore disks Is this still possible and if not what are my options for replacing a hard drive for this laptop and using the same windows install that originally came with it I would prefer to not have to clone the hard drive because the new hard drive is an SSD How to get pre-installed windows 8 on new hard drive so I will want to install windows with AHCI mode on Ultimately I want to do a clean install of windows on the new laptop using the existing pre-installed windows key I imagine this would be pretty simple if I had How to get pre-installed windows 8 on new hard drive windows install discs but I don't have those either as they didn't come with the laptop Any ideas on what my options are to make this work Thanks for your time

A:How to get pre-installed windows 8 on new hard drive

I would imagine your laptop has a recovery partition, if you were to image and transfer that partition you should then be able to use it to install windows 8 with AHCI enabled!?

That's if your BIOS makes AHCI mode available.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14414-how-get-pre-installed-windows-8-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello everyone,
I installed a new 1TB Hard drive(Samsung Spinpoint F1 SATA2 7200RPM 32MB cache), but it doesn't seem to appear in 'My computer', where has this new drive gone?, could anyone help me out?

Freddy

A:Can not find new installed Hard drive

You probably forgot to partition the drive so you can actually use it. What OS are you running?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-not-find-new-installed-hard-drive.115760/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have an AMD A - APU GHz computer - A Vision HP Pavilion nbsp BIOS v nbsp I installed a second SATA drive a TB Seagate and booted up the factory installed OS on the first SATA drive The operating system has no problem seeing the drive so I installed a by seen installed hard isn't BIOS Second drive second OS into a GB partition on the second SATA drive However when I booted the system to finish the OS installation the BIOS couldn't see the second SATA drive Booting into the OS on the first SATA drive no problems nbsp the OS can see the second SATA drive So the problem occurs at boot time The BIOS won't see the second SATA drive nbsp However if I interrupt the BIOS at boot and go in to run a diagnostic and I cancel that and not run the diagnostic all of a sudden the BIOS can see the nd SATA drive and I can boot off it Interrupting the Second installed hard drive isn't seen by BIOS normal BIOS boot and entering the BIOS setup and then canceling out will of the time cause the BIOS to see the second SATA drive If I don't do this the BIOS doesn't see the other SATA drive of the time This is a real annoyance nbsp I looked for an updated version of the BIOS assuming this was an identified bug fixed with a later BIOS release but can't seem to locate anything nbsp Does anyone know how to fix this nbsp Thanks SFMChris Solved View Solution

A:Second installed hard drive isn't seen by BIOS

I do not think it has anything to do with the "Windows Boot Loader (Winload.exe or Winload.efi)". However, I did try it out and running a "bcdedit /set {GUID} path \windows\system32\winload.exe" produced a non-booting OS (even if I attempted to use my current workaround by interrupting the BIOS at boot). Here is the current behavior I am seeing when I hit ESC to enter the BIOS setup (you have a window of less than 2 seconds to hit this key before the WIndows Boot Loader menu comes up). The following are the paths to settings in the BIOS menu, followed by the settings I am seeing:       * Boot Menu                - Shows only SATA0       * Computer Setup > Storage > Device Configuration               - Shows only SATA0       * Computer Setup > Storage > Boot Order > Legacy Boot Sources               - Shows only SATA0       * Computer Setup > Storage > DPS Self-test               - Shows both SATA0 and SATA1 ?! UPDATE:I just found the fix (HP devs will need to fix this bug though). SOLUTION:  I made the following BIOS change:      * Computer Setup > Storage > Advanced > Power-On Options               - POST Delay (in seconds)            5 Settings a POST delay (from the default of nearly no delay to 5 seconds) fixes the problem. In fact, if I wait 3 - 4 seconds into the delay, and then hit the ESC key to enter the BIOS setup, everywhere I was seeing "Shows only SATA0" above before,  is now showing both SATA0 and SATA1. Everything is looking and working as I would expect it to. Problem solved. Thank you to everyone who attempted to help out.SFMChris 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Second-installed-hard-drive-isn-t-seen-by-BIOS/td-p/4025448
Relevancy 55.9%

I have Windows XP My problem is this I recently installed a nd hard drive that cannot installed drive, initialize new hard I got from some guy on craigslist it s a Maxtor something I know I should have looked before I put it in there but I didn t anticipate having problems it s IDE which is the same kind installed new hard drive, cannot initialize as my other drive and all the connectors hooked up just fine However it doesn t show up when I go to quot My computer quot - I tried the install new hardware wizard and the device manager in Control Panel which recognized the device and said it was working fine and on my father s advice he works with computers got to the administrative tools - gt computer management - gt disk management where it shows the drive and gives the option to initialize however when I click quot Initialize quot whether it is from right-clicking on the drive or going to the action menu nothing happens at all I also tried refresh and rescan disks and tried restarting my computer So long story short - the disk shows in the control panel menus but not in My Computer and it refuses to initialize although the computer keeps telling me that it works fine and there is nothing wrong with it I am also told by the little window in disk manager that it has GB of free space when it s supposed to be an gig hard drive Anybody know if there s a way to get it working or should I just throttle the guy who traded it to me nbsp