Windows Support Forum

Which Defragmenter do you recommend?

Q: Which Defragmenter do you recommend?

Hey guys. I was wondering which defragmenter's good to use.. The good and bad of them, anything worth knowing. Thanks.

P.S. Currently using Auslogic's Disk Defrag

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Which Defragmenter do you recommend?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Which Defragmenter do you recommend?

Make sure you get one that is compatible with VSS if you use System Restore.

I think the windows one is the best, but the only other one I have tried is Diskeeper

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/127070-defragmenter-do-you-recommend.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,

I?m a new vista user and like some aspects of the OS and dislike others.
One such disappointing aspect is the new disk defragmenter, which I have found out is an inefficient piece of crap!

I would greatly appreciate it if one of you highly knowledgeable mods would recommend a FREE third party defragmenter.

Thanks,

swarner

A:[SOLVED] Recommend a new defragmenter!?

you just dont like the new defrag because it dont have the pictures like it used to - right.

seriously, see this

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-recommend-a-new-defragmenter-205252.html
Relevancy 47.3%

When i tries to start defragmenter by right clicking on any drive it prompts error as disk defragmenter could not start and gets terminate.
I have 4 partions of 40GB with 50% free space left on each drive.
All other utilities works properly.
Is it due to corruption of files?
Please help me to solve this problem

A:While starting Disk Defragmenter, It gives error as Disk Defragmenter Could not Start

and welcome to the Forum

Please post your PC specs.
Pre-built--Brand Name & Model Number
Custom Built--Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU
What Operating System?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/while-starting-disk-defragmenter-it-gives-error-as-disk-defragmenter-could-not-start-417679.html
Relevancy 37.41%

I am running Windows XP PRO SP2 and everytime I try to open the defragmenter I get an error message (attached). Somebody help me please. Thanks.

Relevancy 37.41%

What is a defragmenter and do I need one?

Relevancy 37.41%

Can a mod please move this if this is in the wrong place? thanks!

Only talk about the defragmenters here and please dont complain if you favorite is not here.

Relevancy 37.41%

Can i have more than one? Is two better than one? is there any risk to this?
Also, can a Mod or the Admin move this to the right forum if needed? thanks in advance!

Also, if you could, please choose a result with the poll. That would really help me for a decision.

A:Is it ok to have more than one Defragmenter?

no. They frequently use different defragmentation algorithms and as such, one will see it as fine, and the other will see it as fragmented.

Had that problem whenever I ran Symantec's defragger and then checked it with Window's defragger.

but I've not used Symantec in about 5 years or so so maybe they've fixed that issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-it-ok-to-have-more-than-one-defragmenter.876469/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hey guys...

I ran my disk defragmenter the other day and it came up with this message:

Does anyone know how to get rid of this and get rid of the unfragmented files?

Thanks

A:Defragmenter

Disable your automatic system restore, then disable virtual memory, then reboot into safe mode. Defrag. Reboot and restart system restore, then reset virtual memory.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/defragmenter.279950/
Relevancy 37.41%

I have been trying to use disk defragmentor and it keeps telling me something is writting to my drives and it keeps restarting it...
i also used scan disk and it did the same thing
PLS give me any input u may have thank u

Relevancy 37.41%

Ok, so ive had this computer for a while and it hasnt had this error before, when i defragment, it finishes but then says "Some files on this volume could not be defragmented", i dont see what causes it because it has never come up before.

So any ideas? Would very much appreciate the help!

Thanks

ShoeGirl :blush:

Hi

usual cause is system files or programs that are in use at the time such as AVG Spyware/Malware programs etc

Defag is best run in safe mode as the computer is started with a basic setup and no extraneous programs.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/defragmenter.108021/
Relevancy 37.41%

I have a question regarding Vista's default defragmenter. Is it safe unlike its windows predecessors? This question was always in my mind when I had a laptop with XP SP2 on it where everything was fine that one day - doubtlessly without any fear - did my monthly defragger. After that I kept getting some volume error thing which I had call for support and they recommended a reformat for that. =| So is Vista's default defragmenter safe? Or must I use something else like Auslogics?

Veloci the windows defrager did'nt cause the problems you had with your XP install. What did? No telling.

But the defrager programs built into windows are perfectly safe. In Vista you really dont need to defrag since the defrager runs automaticly. So dont worry.

You can use a 3rd partydefrager if you want to. Auslogics is fine. If you want a real native x64 defrager you can get the free JKdefrag or get Perfect disk mad by Raxco. I'm sure there are probably other x64 defragers out there but I like perfect disk myself.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/190523-defragmenter.html
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi - Got McAfee on my Windows 7 and still got defragmenter trojan/virus thingy.

Followed your instructions for rkill and full malwarebytes scan as described at: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-defragmenter , but when I startup my computer, defragmenter comes back.

Just followed your preparation guide on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and attached are my dds logs and gmer log files.

Notes:

1) gmer only let me check the "services, registry, files, c:\ and ADS" check boxes. It wouldn't let me check the other boxes that you have in your instructions.

2) I ran rkill again before I prepared the logs. Wasn't sure if I should have done that or not? But, that pesky defragmenter kept messing things up so I killed it for this session.

Sure would appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks for doing this for people.

A:Defragmenter won't go away

Hello and Welcome to the forums! My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. Somethings to remember while we are working together.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!Do not Attach logs unless I ask you to.Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.Do not run anything while running a fix.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. By doing this and then choosing Immediate E-Mail notification and then clicking on Proceed you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.Note** If you are having problems posting the complete log into this thread upload them here http://www.rapidshare.com/ and post the links in this thread Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.I would like to get a better look at your system, please do the following so I can get some more detailed logs.DeFogger: Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OKDeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OKDo not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_disable which will appear on your desktop.Download DDS:Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:
Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
Link2
Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.Shortly after two logs will appear:
DDS.txt Attach.txtA window will open instructing you save & post the logsSave the logs to a convenient place such as your desktopCopy the contents of both logs & post in your next replyGmerDownload GMER Rootkit Scanner from here.Double click the .exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consentIf it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO
In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
IAT/EATDrives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\) Show All (don't miss this one)Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finishOnce done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log fileSave it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in reply**Caution**Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entriesNote: Do not run any programs while Gmer is running.information and logs:In your next post I need the following1.logs from DDS2.log from GMER3.let me know of any problems you may have had[/list]Gringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/357599/defragmenter-wont-go-away/
Relevancy 37.41%

Ok, I've asked about registry cleaners and you've said it's crap... I agree. But what about HDD(s) defragmentation(s)? Should I keep-up with the built-in one into XP or find an alternative? If yes, then why?

Also, should I bother getting a sturt-up manager? Why?

P.S. Anything else for the system's health and smooth-running? Thank you!

A:Defragmenter?

Yes you should defrag the hdd, it should be part of your regular routine maintenance. I use Auslogics for defragging, it seems to do a little better job than the Windows version.

To keep your computer running smoothly you should keep your Windows updates current, update you security applications and run regular scans, this when I will usually defrag my hdd, and have a good anti virus and firewall.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/197209/defragmenter/
Relevancy 37.41%

I cant defrag my pc it goes a bit then comes up with loads of thing wrong
and wont go any ferther have scan and thats ok

A:defragmenter

What error message do you get? Run Scandisk first, then try defragging.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/defragmenter-87340.html
Relevancy 37.41%

does anyone know a good ram defragmenter tool or tip on how to lower ram use. I looked around but iam not sure what to trust specs below
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 450 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2012 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), 782 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 292885 MB, Free - 107233 MB; F: Total - 12317 MB, Free - 5260 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 018D1Y
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

A:ram defragmenter

RAM defragmenters are useless. Why do you need to lower RAM uses? Windows 7 goes by the theory that unused RAM is wasted RAM. Having free RAM isn't always useful.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ram-defragmenter.1077369/
Relevancy 37.41%

i READ THE THREAD IN TIPS AND TRICKS ON THE favorite Freeware. I saw the program DG- DEFRAGMENTOR and downloaded it. It appears to work fine.
This morning i ran a Panda Scan and the following appeared:

Incident Status Location

Possible Virus. No disinfected C:\Program Files\DG-Defragmenter\Find Junk Files.zip[StripZip.exe]
Possible Virus. No disinfected C:\Program Files\Find Junk Files\StripZip.exe
any comments?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dg-defragmenter.379036/
Relevancy 37.41%

Can I substitute Diskeeper8 PRO for the defragmenter supplied with XP?

A:defragmenter

Yes. If you want.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/defragmenter.705511/
Relevancy 36.98%

Well ok.

You go to start > you click all programs > you select system tools > and click disk defragmemter.

Disk defragmenter opens up. You click analyze. It comes up with 'You do not need to defragment this volume' You click report. You find out that the disk it only 3% fragmented.

However, this is where you notice something is amiss. The bar that displays estimated disk usage before disk degramentation is mostly colored red, except for blocks of blue here and there.... You look down at the bottom and realize that red stands for 'fragmented files' You say to your self, huh? The report said disk did NOT need defragmenting. The bar clearly shows the disk is fragmented.

That is my problem.. Why????

Relevancy 36.98%

I am looking for the BEST Hard Drive Defragmenter/Optimizer. I have tried Nortons Speed Disk and was Unhappy with the results and I have also tried Executive Softwares Diskeeper 8.0 Professional and was very Displeased with the results. Can anyone tell me wht the BEST defragmenter/Optimizer is for Windows XP home edition. I am trying to optimize the performance of my Hard Drive and have yet to find a program that meets my needs. Thank you for your help.

A:I am looking for the Best HD Defragmenter/Optimizer

What exactly are you looking for?
What didn't you like about Norton Speed Disk or Diskeeper 8?
What do you mean by "the BEST" defragmenter?

There is nothing wrong with the two utilities you mentioned.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-am-looking-for-the-best-hd-defragmenter-optimizer.15510/
Relevancy 36.98%

I'm running XP Home with an AMD Athlon 64x2 DCP 6000+, 4GB Ram, SP3.
When I fire up Defragmenter from System Tools and ask it to either Analyse or Defrabment, NOTHING happens. I have run CHKDSK on C:, no problems. C: is a 750GB SATA disk with 2 partitions, one C: of 250GB, and E: 500GB. Anyone have any ideas, please?

Relevancy 36.98%

I have XP Home and am using the NTFS file system, I have read alot about the importance of frequent and 'complete' disk defragmenting. I dont believe XP's built in defragger does as good a job as some other's available so I would like to know which defragger is the best and most complete? Which do you use? Thanks

A:'Complete' Defragmenter....?

I don't use any, but I've heard Diskeeper is good.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/complete-defragmenter.3981/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hello First off thanks for the help This is my th time trying to post - this time from another computer I had written detailed overview and pressed POST NEW TOPIC and it came up with an Explorere Pag Not Found page - if any of them posted and I am reposting then Sorry I have tried mutliple resources to correct protect but have ended Defragmenter Quick up with a buffet of programs on my computer and am looking to just listen and Quick Defragmenter do what I am told by you to try to fix protect going forward - I will delete or use what I am told regardless if I bought it or it was a free download If you tell me to throw this laptop out the window then watchout below I know enough to know I don t know enough I have done the HDD Defrag tutorial on this site along with the tdskiller and that laptop still cannot post here At this point I think the biggest issue is Quick Defragmenter but I also think there is a bigger issue bringing nasty things like HDD amp Quick Defrag into my computer somehow I also have downloaded the program that looks at seeing if you are out of date in programs - I need to unistall and reinstall Java still I have had infection issues recurring for a while on this laptop and home computer and have tried to correct them using mulitple programs solutions even buying both A-Squared Emsisoft and STOPZilla to clean protect them did not get STOPZilla for the home computer From what I understand two protection programs like I have should not be run at the same time - I do not or at least try not to do this An infection ended up disabling A-Squared whenever I would startup so I looked for another option to see if I could get something that would beat that infection and STOPZilla found things not found by A-Squared and it would startup most of the time I will run one then turn it off and run another lately trying to blanket the coverage but that bandaid isn t solving the core issues because the same infections resurface immediately at times SYMPTONS ISSUESI have PopUps Quick Deframentation HDD Defragmenter Redirects to Google Business - I think the site is fake PC Maximizer and sometimes multiple blank pages and Processes running on Startup and disabling functionality of STOPZilla PopUp Protection Spyware Protection and Site Protection all are quot Disabled quot when I startup along with Explorer PopUp blocker turned OFF Sometimes I do not have program icons even show up on bottom toolbar and I need to reboot a couple time to get functionality back along with the other programs I do not want being there like Quick Defragmenter or HDD Defragmenter Also PopUps with a red circle and white X noting quot Windows- No Disc quot or quot Critical Error - No Space on Drive C quot show up I have also had issues with updating to the current JAVA in the recent months but have been done it successfully I think I note this because multiple infections found in the recent month include JAVA in the name Here are the infections I have had occur reoccur in the past month that are noted in the A-Squared log I can access my STOPZilla logs for some reason - recently the infection has quot unregistered quot and I needed to put the registration code in again and it shows no logs VIRUS WIN VBInject IKExpoit JAVA CVE- IKJAVA Trojan-Downloader JAVA OpenConnection IKTROJAN-Downloader JAVA OpenStream IKTrojan Win Meredrop IKTrojan HTML FRAUD IKHere are the updated from after doing the HDD and TDDS tutorials DDS amp Attach and ARK not updated - computer crashed while running files Thanks again in advance DDS Ver - - - NTFSx NETWORK Run by boylej at on Mon Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus On-access scanning disabled Updated D C B -C DC- F- EF - AF A EFF AV Emsisoft Anti-Malware On-access scanning disabled Updated F BB- B- - C - E ED Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunchsvchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k netsvcssvchost exesvchost exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program File... Read more

A:Quick Defragmenter

Hello and Welcome to the forums! My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. Somethings to remember while we are working together.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!Please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.Do not run anything while running a fix.Click on the Watch Topic Button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.In order for me to see the status of the infection I will need a new set of logs to start with.Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.DeFogger: Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OKDeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OKDo not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.Download DDS:Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:
Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
Link2
Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.Shortly after two logs will appear:
DDS.txt Attach.txtA window will open instructing you save & post the logsSave the logs to a convenient place such as your desktopCopy the contents of both logs & post in your next replyScan With RKUnHookerPlease Download Rootkit Unhooker Save it to your desktop.extract RKUnhooker to your desktop
Note** it is zipped up in a .rar file - If you do not have a program to unzip this type of file
you can get a free one from here - http://www.7-zip.org/Now double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.Click the Report tab, then click Scan.Check (Tick) Drivers, Stealth,. Uncheck the rest. then Click OK.Wait till the scanner has finished and then click File, Save Report.Save the report somewhere where you can find it. Click Close.Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.Note** you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?""just click on Cancel, then Accept".information and logs:In your next post I need the following1.logs from DDS2.log from RKUnHooker3.let me know of any problems you may have had[/list]Gringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/359459/quick-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

I recently run into the HDD Defragmenter on my machine I had to run sophos twice then malwarebytes spybot and finally avast twice each to get it off my machine Even after all Remove Defragmenter HDD this and my computer started working I couldnt get internet conn- ectivity I was able to ping by ip and by domain but could not get any pages to display I initially thought I had my browser hijacked but was not getting redirected to any particular webpage Furthermore I was having the issue across three browsers I reset my lsp via the netsh w r command in xp sp and above and was still having the same issue I double checked my dns settings and they looked correct I finally stumbled upon the culprit This piece of malware set my proxy settings and as soon as I set Remove HDD Defragmenter my proxy settings to automatically detect I was back in business Just in case you are wondering I was getting an error and thats what kind of lead me to that resolution Its not very well documented out there so I Remove HDD Defragmenter thought I would share my pains I think malware bytes and rlkill would have been sufficient to take care of what I had and that all the other steps were a bit of overkill but cant ever be too sure Does anyone have a passcode to get into the malware removal training or know when the classes open up

A:Remove HDD Defragmenter

Hello , And to the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Forum. My name is Elise and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.I will be working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you may have with your machine.Please note that whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.The cleaning process is not instant. Logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happen. Please reply using the Add/Reply button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, send me or a moderator a personal message with the address of the thread or feel free to create a new one.You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you can choose email notifications. The topics you are tracking are shown here.-----------------------------------------------------------If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.If you have already posted a log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.Push the Quick Scan button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:OTListIt.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt <-- Will be minimizedPlease Download Rootkit Unhooker Save it to your desktop.extract RKUnhooker to your desktop
Note** it is zipped up in a .rar file - If you do not have a program to unzip this type of file -
you can get a free one from here - http://www.7-zip.org/Now double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.Click the Report tab, then click Scan.Check (Tick) Drivers, Stealth,. Uncheck the rest. then Click OK.Wait till the scanner has finished and then click File, Save Report.Save the report somewhere where you can find it. Click Close.Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.Note** you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?""just click on Cancel, then Accept".-------------------------------------------------------------In the meantime please, do NOT install any new programs or update anything unless told to do so while we are fixing your problemIf you still need help, please include the following in your next replyA detailed description of your problemsA new OTL log (don't forget extra.txt)RKU logThanks and again sorry for the delay.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/358144/remove-hdd-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

when i try to use my Disk defrag' I get a pop up from "microsoft management console"
Stating "MMC requires Internet Explorer 5.5 or greater to be installed.

However i do have it installed...? Although i am using Mozilla FireFox..

Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Daniel

A:why cant i use my disk defragmenter

Try this:
Go to Start Menu, Run, type C:\WINDOWS\INF, click OK. Locate the file IE.INF (not IE.PNF). Right-click on it, and click on the "Install" command in the popup menu.

Hope this helps!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/30904/why-cant-i-use-my-disk-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

Computer innected with HDD Defragmenter I have tried the removal guide on this site Using rkill then malware bytes multiple times with no success Note gmer would not let me select all categories Only c and d drives ADS services registry and files It said there was nothing found I Infected Defragmenter HDD with did save it anyway and was not able to attach it Assuming because its blank DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD NETWORK Run by laurissa at on Tue Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Infected with HDD Defragmenter Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Program Files x Webroot WebrootSecurity WRConsumerService exe C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Webroot WebrootSecurity SpySweeper exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Users laurissa AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows shell exe C Windows system ctfmon exe C Users laurissa AppData Roaming Microsoft svchost exe C Users Infected with HDD Defragmenter laurissa AppData Local Temp dwm exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Users laurissa Desktop dds scr C Windows system conhost exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www google com uInternet Settings ProxyServer http uWinlogon Shell explorer exe C Users laurissa AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows shell exe uWindows Load C Users laurissa AppData Local Temp dwm exe BHO HP Print Enhancer c e- - -bf - c - C Program Files x HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dll BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO C C A-E - b - D - CECB - No File BHO Symantec NCO BHO adb e- aff- - aa - dac dfa - C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine coIEPlg dll BHO Symantec Intrusion Prevention d ec - aae- -aeee-f f c - C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine IPSBHO DLL BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper d - c - abf- ecc- c - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll BHO Microsoft Live Search Toolbar Helper d ce e -f a- - e- dc f c f - c Program Files x MSN Toolbar msneshellx dll BHO Ask com Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - C Program Files x Ask com GenericAskToolbar dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO HP Smart BHO Class ffffffff-cf e- f b-bdc - e e a - C Program Files x HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp BHO dll TB Microsoft Live Search Toolbar e ed c- cb - d -b e -ab c c - c Program Files x MSN Toolbar msneshellx dll TB Norton Toolbar febefe - b - - d -ffb d b ca - C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine coIEPlg dll TB Ask com Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - C Program Files x Ask com GenericAskToolbar dll TB BC A- - D - AC -E B A BA C - No File EB HP Smart Web Printing d d - bd - -a -cfc a - C Program Files x HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp bho dll uRun msnmsgr quot C Program Files x Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe quot background uRun systemrxxt exe quot C systemrxxt exe systemrxxt exe quot uRun MTUchk quot C Windows system rundll exe quot C Users laurissa AppData Roaming Catalyst CatalystHelper dll Init uRun iexplrerxx exe quot C iexplrerxx exe iexplrerxx exe quot uRun appHelpInterval quot rundll exe quot quot C Users laurissa AppData Local EapEventserv appHelpInterval dll quot appobjUI AsyncUser uRun winsp up exe quot C Users laurissa AppData Local Temp winsp up exe quot uRun quot C Users laurissa AppData Local Temp exe quot uRun quot C Users laurissa AppData Local Temp exe quot uRun svchost quot C Users laurissa AppData Roaming Microsoft svchost exe... Read more

A:Infected with HDD Defragmenter

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. Please include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.We need to create an OTL ReportPlease download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.In the custom scan box paste the following:

msconfig
safebootminimal
activex
drivers32
netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
hlp.dat
winlogon.exe
wininit.exe
explorer.exe
/md5stop
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /90Push the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:OTL.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt<--Will be minimizedIn the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. I suggest you do this and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed.regards myrti

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/358037/infected-with-hdd-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi,I seem to be having a problem with the complete removal of this virus, I followed your online guide but computer froze when I tried to run malwarebytes,and continues to do so now. Msconfig, regedit crash computer when i try run and safe mode will not work which is making it impossible to remove the whole virus.I have downloaded avg and many other anti virus softwares but none will run. I was able to run hijackthis, and I think the root killer from the user guide along with deleting some suspect files on hijackthis stopped the defragmenter program running on boot up. Any suggestions will be more than welcomed as i have hit a wall.Regards, Jansen

A:defragmenter hdd problem

Hello,Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/369603/defragmenter-hdd-problem/
Relevancy 36.98%

I had used the diskeeper 9 trial. I deleted now I can't defrag I get a message that the snap in is missing.......Any suggestions??

Relevancy 36.98%

i just finish installed my windows xp and istalled some software like : window media player ,internet explorer 7,and others.after that i run disk defragmenter and it poup this message.anyone know how can i finish my disk defragmenter?
and here is my report for D drive
Volume (D
Volume size = 38.16 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 4.57 GB
Free space = 33.59 GB
Percent free space = 88 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 0 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 15,212
Average file size = 363 KB
Total fragmented files = 1
Total excess fragments = 11
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 768 MB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 985
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 17 MB
MFT record count = 16,233
Percent MFT in use = 92 %
Total MFT fragments = 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None

Relevancy 36.98%

Hello,

I have tried to use the windows defragmenter and disk keeper to defragment my files,

Both of them says it is done but my hardrive is still heavily defragmented...

Does anyone know of a program which actually 100% completes a defragment?
(possibly free)

Relevancy 36.98%

I have the "system defragmenter" virus found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-defragmenter

I tried all of the about mentioned steps including, running "rkill," and malwarebytes. All seems removed and well untill i reboot my computer and the "system defragmenter" pops back up.

Are there any other tips to removing this very annoying spyware?

A:System Defragmenter

Hello,Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/355630/system-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

Saw the other posts with system defragmenter and they were closed with no instructions.

Any help is appreciated. Scanned with MBAM and it showed up the first time. The second time, it showed up clean. However, System Defragmenter still shows up as a shortcut on the desktop and I get an error regarding disk space and inability to locate hard drive.

Thanks.

A:System Defragmenter

Did you boot into safe mode before running MBAM? That might help.
Also check the obvious places that might be causing an application to be re-executed, I suggest running msconfig and checking the applications it shows as being started. Get rid of any non-essentials.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/355564/system-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

Are there any disadvantages to stopping and starting a disk defragmenter? i.e. doing 30%, stopping it then doing 30% again next time.

A:Defragmenter incomplete

only that you'll fragment your hard disk more!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/defragmenter-incomplete.24731/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi ,
I am having a problem with my defragmenter. I have Windows XP Home Edition. I get a message when I hit the "analyze" button in my defragmenter that says: "Connection to the defragmenter engine has been lost". Does anybody know what I can do to correct this- to reconnect with the defragmenter engine?
Thanks to anyone who can help.
leehiway

A:defragmenter problem

It's likely something is causing this to happen, like a corrupt file.

Get a command prompt up. Go 'Start -> Run' then type 'cmd.exe'
In the command prompt type 'sfc /scannow' and follow the directions of any prompts that come up.
After run 'chkdsk c: /f' to go ahead and check your hard disk. It will not do this until you reboot the PC then it will be the first thing done before logging in.
Note any errors that were found and fixed, especially note any errors that could not be fixed.

Any problems or errors please copy and paste back here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/defragmenter-problem.693271/
Relevancy 36.98%

This is a Vista Computer.

Sometimes when I defragment my hard drive using Defraggler it ends up more defragmented. So when that happened I did a clean install of Windows Vista.

Now it has the same Analyze results

EDIT: My theory is that if you were to defragment the system files that can't be defragmented while Windows is in use then it will stop having catastrophic results.

Is there anyway defragment your hard drive from a bootable CD or flash drive?

A:Bootable Defragmenter

This one allows you to defrag at boot time:

Defrag Solution | Faster Computer Boot Times | Improve Computer Performance - PerfectDisk

Alternatively, use the built-in Disk Defragmenter which comes with Windows & make a simple change to the Registry, shown here:
? Defrag Boot Files In Vista To Improve Performance - Windows Fanatics - Lockergnome

I have to say, however, that Defraggler works fine for me on both Vista & Win7.
Make sure you have the latest version installed.

Also, be aware that as the hard drive fills up with data, complete defragmentation will take much longer & will eventually not be achievable with any defrag software.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/bootable-defragmenter-561235.html
Relevancy 36.98%

hello again I cant run the defrag on my windows xp pro when i try to run defrag i get a pop up ststing quot MMC reguires internet explorer or greater defragmenter, Can anyone my > cant why i use disk to be installed quot ive tried to find ie inf but not there and i tried to re install IE from microsoft download page but it tells me i have a newer one already installed I > why cant i use my disk defragmenter, Can anyone know i have a working version as i can use IE no prob As for event Viewer I dont know where that is Can anyone help thanks Danany help appreciated Just in case this helps ive posted a HJT log thanks again Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exeC WINDOWS system carpserv exeC Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exeC WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S I H EXEC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC Program Files Google Gmail Notifier G - gnotify exeC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC Program Files InProComm IPN wlan ui exeC Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exeC Program Files Linksys Wireless-G Notebook > why cant i use my disk defragmenter, Can anyone Adapter OdHost exeC Program Files > why cant i use my disk defragmenter, Can anyone Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC Cfg exeC WINDOWS system drivers CDAC BA EXEC Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SpybotSD exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dllO - HKLM Run ATIModeChange Ati mdxx exeO - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exeO - HKLM Run CARPService carpserv exeO - HKLM Run IntelliPoint quot C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe quot O - HKLM Run EPSON Stylus Photo R Series C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S I H EXE P quot EPSON Stylus Photo R Series quot O quot USB quot M quot Stylus Photo R quot O - HKLM Run RegistryMechanic C Program Files Registry Mechanic RegMech exe SO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeO - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osbootO - HKLM Run e - f c- e -a ec-b a b c C Program Files Google Gmail Notifier G - gnotify exeO - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottimeO - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run vptray C PROGRA Symantec AntiVirus VPTray exeO - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKCU Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exeO - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot backgroundO - Startup LimeWire On Startup lnk C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exeO -... Read more

A:> why cant i use my disk defragmenter, Can anyone

Hi, photosolo.Highlight then right click > copy the following line:C:\WINDOWS\INFNow, click the start button on the taskbar, then click Run....Paste the line you copied into the Run... box and click okThe folder containing ie.inf should open.Right click ie.inf and choose install.Did that help?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/31521/why-cant-i-use-my-disk-defragmenter-can-anyone/
Relevancy 36.98%

So I ran the Disk Defragmenter today and got this:

Is this something I should be worried about?

I also saved the log:

Quote:

Volume (C:)
Volume size = 37.26 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 23.65 GB
Free space = 13.61 GB
Percent free space = 36 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 3 %
File fragmentation = 6 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 46,121
Average file size = 790 KB
Total fragmented files = 2
Total excess fragments = 400
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.45 GB
Total fragments = 2

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 3,657
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 63 MB
MFT record count = 50,272
Percent MFT in use = 77 %
Total MFT fragments = 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None

A:Disk Defragmenter

Nothing to worry about do you have all service packs installed . . I think I recall that this annoiance was fixed in SP2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/disk-defragmenter-409215.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I want to run Disk Defragmenter, but I can't find it in the Accesories>System Tools folder.
What should I type into Run to get it to start?

Relevancy 36.98%

Hi, I'm not really active on this forum since there's a wealth of information elsewhere, but the really hard stuff I bring here, because y'all know so much!

Anyway, after I remove my lips from all your collective bums...

I installed Executive Software DiskKeeper and uninstalled it because it was annoying and not that effective.
Now, my XP defragmenter won't uninstall (that's the last time I use something a person at a LAN recommends to me).

Is there a way I can use an installer to reinstall this? Maybe through the Windows XP recovery console? I would also be able to do the old-school file replacement, if someone will offer me a clean source for them.

-Will

A:Reinstall XP Defragmenter?

Start->Run type in -> dfrg.msc <enter>

If that doesn't work you need to find that file.

I'm pretty certain you can do it via add-remove software in the control panel One of the panels will include Windows programs, search there if it claims your defrag is installed remove the check mark (uninstall) and reboot. On reboot go to the same place and check you want to install the Defrag program, apply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reinstall-xp-defragmenter.484428/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi, I have run my disk defragmenter severel times, but still have a ton of fragmented (red) files. Does anyone know how i can get rid of these or what else I can do to unfragment them? thank you for any help. Oh also, I have been trying to download the Mozilla firefox browser and after I install it and try to open it, it says its allready running and asks if i want to start a new session, when i do then nothing else happens. any help with that would also be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Relevancy 36.98%

i was trying to rearrange items on my hare disk to make programs run faster and when i try to defrag i get this message. disk defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: HP_PAVILLION ©
please run chkdsk/f.
I dont know how or when i got this i think within the last week. is this bad or good?

A:disk defragmenter

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter.

Type Y in response to onscreen query/statement and hit Enter.

Reboot the system and let the chkdsk execute, it will boot into XP when finished.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/249025/disk-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hello to all Some specs first of course Defragmenter help with Disk Need Gateway S Essex model GHZ Pentium GB Maxtor hard drive NTFS MB RAM WindowsXP SP Home Edition IE In the course of just routinely wanting to run the Windows supplied Defragmenter a message was produced saying that it could not run it due to quot file inconsistencies being detected please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK then try to defrag again etc etc quot In the meantime I downloaded a trialware version of Diskeeper installed it fine and then attempted to run it to see if there would be a difference That program also detected quot file inconsistencies quot and suggested running CHKDSK I then ran CHKDSK which took quite a while but completed all steps said Windows made corrections to the file system and finally verified the volume was clean Windows then started up fine loaded to the Desktop screen at which point I attempted to run Diskeeper again with the same result and also tried to run the normal Windows Defragmenter with that too producing the original result What s up Can anyone lend some advice or direction on this All suggestions are as usual very appreciated Thanks in advance for any help Pete C nbsp

Relevancy 36.98%

I try to run disk defragmenter neither analyze or defragment will run past 10%. Error box pops up saying
" Disk defragenter cannot continue prescan because there is a corruption in file: c:/WINDOWS.O\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft" it is the same error box for both analyze and defragment. Any ideas on how to fix this problem will be much appreciated thank you!

EDit:fixed title

A:can't run disk defragmenter

Sometimes I have been in a similar situation, where I attempted to run Disk Defragmenter and it stops mid-process and says that it cannot continue. I do not recall the exact wording, but the message I received was also either about file/folder corruption, or some kind of disk error, or the volume being dirty, and it would advise me to run CHKDSK to fix that problem before it would let me defragment.I would check if C: is being recognized as being "dirty" - I don't know your level of computer knowledge (though I'm not an expert), so forgive me if I state things too basicly:On the Start menu, there should be a "Run" button; click that. Alternately, it can be accessed through holding the Windows key on the keyboard and then pressing the R button. After the Run box appears, in the white box after Open:, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press Enter (or click OK).This should bring up the command prompt box. Type "fsutil dirty query C:" (C doesn't have to be capitalized) and press Enter. This command does not change or activate or set anything; it asks whether the C: drive has been marked as "dirty" and should either output something like "Volume - C: is NOT dirty" or "Volume - C: IS dirty", though the capitalization (etc). may be a bit different.If C: is not said to be dirty, than it's not the situation I've experienced before, and don't know anything else about what you should do. If, however, is IS dirty, read on:This information is based on a combination of my past experiences and information from Microsoft articles I've read repeatedly before and just again right now; there is some speculation about possibilities for situations different than my own, though I've noted those to be such.----------------------------------------If C: has been marked as dirty, your computer is automatically going to run the CHKDSK program the next time you restart (or turn on after having shut down) your computer; if this is the case, I'd recommend backing up the important data on your computer before you restart it or turn it off, as there is a risk of data loss when CHKDSK runs. I personally have never lost any data other than the files/folders already marked as corrupt, and have usually either had those backed up elsewhere or been able to recover them.However, as I see your Disk Defrag says that the file it notices to be corrupt (it may not be the only one, as Defrag stopped after analyzing 10% of your drive and noticing the first corrupted file/folder - if there are others on the other 90% it didn't get to, it didn't continue to analyzing that part) is part of your system folder and not merely data (pictures/media) like mine had been, I'm not sure if there will be problems I haven't personally experienced before as I haven't had that particular kind of situation.Regardless, I would backup what you consider important on C:. You may want to look at the Microsoft page on CHKDSK that I linked to, as it has some useful information about what CHKDSK does (read it as if the /f parameter applies). For one, it says "If you use chkdsk /f on a very large disk (for example, 70 gigabytes) or a disk with a very large number of files (for example, millions of files), chkdsk might take a long time (for example, over several days) to complete. The computer is not available during this time because chkdsk does not relinquish control until it is finished." To call 70 GB large, the article is clearly dated; I have a 144.82GiB hard drive, and I don't remember it ever having taken more than 24 hours to run CHKDSK for me (I used to have probably up to 800,000 files on it) - now that I've cleaned it out more (goodbye to millions of tiny files in subfolders within subfolders within subfolders) and have less than 300,000 files on it, it usually takes less than 15 hours, sometimes even just 8, and I'm actually using the... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/359017/cant-run-disk-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

When you go into the defragmenter in XP why do the two graphics of disk usage before and after defrag. look exactly the same, is it actually doing anything? Having defragged a drive, if you click on 'analyse' it says that the drive still needs defragging. What's going on?

Relevancy 36.98%

I decided to use the disk defragmenter after quite some time. When I click to run it, I get the following notification .. I don't know why. Can anyone please explain what this means?

Screenshot of notification attached.

A:Disk defragmenter

Task Scheduler>Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows>Double click Defrag>Triggers set runtime to a future time>Just in case it was disabled, enable it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/disk-defragmenter-1119521.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I'm not sure what changes Microsoft made to the coding of their defragmenter, but it runs MUCH slower than previous versions.

I have a 2.4 GHZ CPU, 2 GB mem, 60 GB hard drive (7200 RPM) . I used XP professional on this same computer up til a month ago, and the defragmenter with XP always took no longer than 15 min. to run on average. But with Vista, it takes a minimum of 1 to 2 hours to run each time !

Is the Vista defragmenter running more thoroughly ? or is it just poorly programmed ?

Anyhow, my plee to Microsoft is to fix your defragmenter so not only does it run faster, but also it needs a progress bar or something so we can see how far along it is !!!!

A:Defragmenter plee

Just for the sake of this conversation , I don't much care for either of the microsoft defrag utilities . I have no "educated" reason to base my view on , I also didnt like the xp version , and the vista one was slow . I use diskeeper 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cstr20cstr

I'm not sure what changes Microsoft made to the coding of their defragmenter, but it runs MUCH slower than previous versions.

I have a 2.4 GHZ CPU, 2 GB mem, 60 GB hard drive (7200 RPM) . I used XP professional on this same computer up til a month ago, and the defragmenter with XP always took no longer than 15 min. to run on average. But with Vista, it takes a minimum of 1 to 2 hours to run each time !

Is the Vista defragmenter running more thoroughly ? or is it just poorly programmed ?

Anyhow, my plee to Microsoft is to fix your defragmenter so not only does it run faster, but also it needs a progress bar or something so we can see how far along it is !!!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/defragmenter-plee-143701.html
Relevancy 36.98%

if i open my degfragmenter...it shown error..how can I fix it????

the problem is ok now...I just rename dfrg.msc at c:\windows\systerm32 to dfrg-rename.msc..
all. is ok now...I can open disk defragmenter start>all program>Accessories>system tools>disk defragmenter..
problem is settle...

*how i want to close this topic????

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/189828/disk-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi could anyone please help me with this problem?? Ive tried to use disk defragmenter to free up some space and make my pc a bit quicker but i keep getting a message'some files could not be defragmented' could anyone please help me with this problem??

thank you

A:xp disk defragmenter help!!

I doubt disk frag will free any space up but it might increase performance a bit. It is normal for some files not to be defragged. This could include files in use by Windows or some other program is using them. Try DEFRAG in the SAFE mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-disk-defragmenter-help.270829/
Relevancy 36.98%

my disk defragmenter says it cannot start so i can't defrag my system is there any way to solve this i have enough space to use it it just won't start

Hello and Welcome to TSF...

Are you getting any errors related to this issue in Event Viewer???

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/disk-defragmenter-411830.html
Relevancy 36.98%

DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by what at on Tue Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe svchost exe C Program Files Java jre Defragmenter Smart bin jqs exe C Program Files CDBurnerXP NMSAccessU exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMTray exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX DrvLsnr exe C Program Smart Defragmenter Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files Adobe Smart Defragmenter Reader Reader Reader sl exe C Program Files ClamWin bin ClamTray exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Documents and Settings what Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d Smart Defragmenter - d -b d- b d be b - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO Google Toolbar Helper aa ed - dd- d - -cf f - c program files google google toolbar GoogleToolbar dll BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO af de - d - -b fa-ce b ad d - c program files google googletoolbarnotifier swg dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - c program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll TB Google Toolbar c b - - d - b - a cd f - c program files google google toolbar GoogleToolbar dll uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe uRun swg quot c program files google googletoolbarnotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe quot mRun igfxtray c windows system igfxtray exe mRun igfxhkcmd c windows system hkcmd exe mRun igfxpers c windows system igfxpers exe mRun Smapp c program files analog devices soundmax SMTray exe mRun DrvLsnr c program files analog devices soundmax DrvLsnr exe mRun SunJavaUpdateSched quot c program files common files java java update jusched exe quot mRun Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quot c program files adobe reader reader Reader sl exe quot mRun Adobe ARM quot c program files common files adobe arm AdobeARM exe quot mRun ClamWin quot c program files clamwin bin ClamTray exe quot --logon IE E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - c progra micros office EXCEL EXE IE Google Sidewiki - c program files google google toolbar component GoogleToolbarDynamic mui en D CA F FDD dll cmsidewiki html IE e e dd -d - - b -f ba - windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe IE FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - c program files messenger msmsgs exe DPF AD C - E- D -B E - F D - hxxp java sun com update jinstall- -windows-i cab DPF CAFEEFAC- - - -ABCDEFFEDCBA - hxxp java sun com update jinstall- -windows-i cab DPF CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA - hxxp java sun com update jinstall- -windows-i cab DPF D CDB E-AE D- CF- B - - hxxp fpdownload macromedia com get shockwave cabs flash swflash cab DPF E E F- F- FB - -AC BF A - hxxp platformdl adobe com NOS getPlusPlus gp cab Handler cdo - CD A- B - D - DB- C FB D - c program files common files microsoft shared web folders PKMCDO DLL Notify igfxcui - igfxdev dll FIREFOX FF - ProfilePath - c docume what applic mozilla firefox profiles d kddj t default FF - plugin c program files google update npGoogleOneClick dll FF - plugin c program files java jre bin new plugin npdeployJava dll FF - plugin c program files mozilla firefox plugins npdeployJava dll SERVICES DRIVERS S aglwxosn Center Security c windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs - - S gupdate Google Update Service gupdate c program files google update GoogleUpdate exe - - Created Last - - -------- d-----w- c docume what locals applic Mozilla - - ----a-w- c program files mozilla firefox ... Read more

A:Smart Defragmenter

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about the Windows version you are using: What we in particular need to know is version, edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system. [/b]If you are unsure about any of these caracteristics, just let us know and we'll help you figuring it out. Please also tell us if you have your Windows CD/DVD handy.Please include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.We need to create an OTL ReportPlease download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.In the custom scan box paste the following:

msconfig
safebootminimal
activex
drivers32
netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
wininit.exe
hlp.dat
/md5stopPush the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:OTL.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt<--Will be minimizedIn the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Watch Topic.I suggest you click it and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed.regards myrti

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/395474/smart-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hello,

I am unable to use the disk degragmenter in
XP. I receive a message saying Disk Defrager
Could Not Start. I have also received an error
message saying the degrager is missing.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

Emily

A:Missing defragmenter in XP

This is usually a sign of Malware has compromised your computer. Take steps from the Malware section of this forum to remove it. You also can go to a working computer and browse to C:\Windows\System32 and copy dfrg.msc and paste it into the broken computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-defragmenter-in-xp-412876.html
Relevancy 36.98%

Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

My Defragmenter is broken. I used O+O, configured to return back to the original, but when I uninstalled O+O, I didn't get my defragmenter back.

I've already used DisKeeper Lite, so I can't use it again.

I can't afford to buy anything ...

Any ideas?

Relevancy 36.98%

Tried Disk Defragnenter and all we get is a grey screen? Looking for ideas!!! Thanks

A:Disk Defragmenter(XP)

The menu options and buttons appear blank in Disk Defragmenter
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/93/1/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-defragmenter-xp.616159/
Relevancy 36.98%

hi ive been trying to defragment my hdd's but when i click on either analyse or defragment now it just does nothing at all. never had this problem before. any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance

Try running it in safe mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/68214/disk-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hello, can anyone tell me the best way to run the disk defragmenter, as a scheduled task ? I have a slow comp and would like to do this when the comp is idle. Thanks joe mc

Which version of XP are you using?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/122597/disk-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

i understand from the Extreme Tech website that XP had a built-in boot defragmenter that is supposed to run automatically in idle time every Defragmenter Boot Xp three days i checked a place in my registry which indicates that it has not run since May th and i don t know what the hang-up is they suggested on trick which was to Run quot Rundll exe advapi dll ProcessIdleTasks quot and that should bring all idle background tasks to completion but the registry still indicates that the boot defragmentation didn t quot take quot First of all am i understanding this correctly And if so are there Xp Boot Defragmenter any suggestions as to how to get the boot defragmentation to work i understand the prefetcher is involved Xp Boot Defragmenter somehow but that hasn t helped me and i know there is third party software as well but i just want XP Pro to do what it s supposed to do automatically and i d love to learn how to get this process to run Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide Mikl

A:Xp Boot Defragmenter

What is the Date Modified property for the file %windir%\Prefetch\Layout.ini? That date marks the occasion XP last updated the file layout.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/124083/xp-boot-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hello all, I have a problem with defragmenting my C: drive. Windows defragmenter say's, (error defragmenter could not start). It will analyze the D: drive though. I also tried to run windows defrag thru the command line. But I get the message that, the volumn identifier is not valid. Since I couldn't get the windows defrag to work. I d\l Auslogics defragmenter. That doesn't even list my C: drive. I disabled comodo defense, thinking that may be blocking access to the C: drive. That didn't help. Any ideas ? Thanks, joe

Try running chkdsk, choose both options.How to run chkdsk from My ComputerGo to Start and click on My Computer. Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/159769/disk-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

I do not like the defragmenter utility in Vista as compared to earlier versions. Is there any way to get some kind of report? And how do I know when it's done? Sometimes it'll run for hours, and I'm under the impression that it's running, but I can't imagine it really takes that long.

A:Question about Defragmenter

I know, my son was lamenting the very same thing. Have you tried defragging via the command prompt?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/question-about-defragmenter-177859.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I some how deleted the build-in disk defragmenter that comes with WinXP by accident. How do i bring it back? Whenever i click on defragmentation (right click C: > properties > tools > defrag) It says:

Disk defragmenter is not installed in your cmputer. To install, double-click Add/Remove program at Control Panel, click Install/Uninstall tab and follow teh instructions n the screen

There is no Install/Uninstall tab. I tried Add/Remove Windows component but i cant find the defragmenter.

Any ideas? Oh ya, and any other better defragmenter that you guys could recommend?

Thanks in advance

There are two third party defragment programs that come to mind: Perfect Disk and Disk Keeper, some people like Perfect Disk others like Disk Keeper. I use and prefer Perfect Disk myself.
http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

http://www.lyonware.co.uk/Diskeeper.htm

Unfortunately I do not have any bright ideas on how to restore/replace the defragment tools that comes with the operating system. You could try system file check, not sure it will help though: Click Start > Run > type 'sfc /scannow' without quotes put the XP cd in the cd-rom.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-defragmenter.355800/
Relevancy 36.98%

I Fake Defragmenter apologize for not having the logs that I m supposed to but since my computer became infected last night its been doing odd things and currently won t let me run the scanes I ve tried three or four different ones but my computer always gives me an error message that the program is invalid or else my computer shuts down I think that I ve found the troublesome file an application file called It s the heart of a fake defragmenter I ve tried for more than an Fake Defragmenter hour to delete it but when I right click gt delete it gives me the error message You need permission to perform this action You require permission from Jessen-PC Jessen to make changes to this file quot Jessen quot is the previous name of the one and only user account on the computer but it was changed to quot Owen quot a few months ago I ve asked my anti-virus softwere I have Webroot Antivirus to scan just that one file but its coming up clean every time Also my computer keeps quot blocking access to a potentially threatening Web site quot called PROTECTYOURPC- COM I m pretty sure I got the infection when I was googleing free rap beats to use in a multimedia project I m working on I clicked on a website claiming to have what I was looking for but it turned out to be a pornography website and immediately I was hit with pop ups and a nasty defragmentor The computer is a Toshiba Netbook I got it over the summer and haven t had any significant problems up until now If theirs an obvious solution to this then I guess I don t have the technical knowledge to see it Thanks in advance for any help AbcAbcwebd nbsp

Relevancy 36.98%

hello,
i dont have any problems with my xp pro sp2..
i just think that my hdrive is a bit messed up so i want to run a power defragmenter..
but last time i did it there were some files that i couldnt get to run anyway..like some game files...
but i wasnt patient enough to let the process end by itself..
still i have some questions..
would it do any harm to my pc/to my files?
or would it do any goods?
thanks

A:power defragmenter

Hello ,

so you have the defragmenter that you want to use ?

now it may & may not whos is to tell / you need to tell us about the program

now here is a link to a great defragmenter and doesnt install to your system it runs thru a dos type interface right from your desktop it will also take a long time depending on how many harddrives you have install & howmany partitions you have and how much info you have on your system

follow link

http://www.majorgeeks.com/JkDefrag_d5542.html

let us know

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/power-defragmenter-321854.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I click the "defragment now" and instead of freeing up a few Gbt of HD,
I have now 3G Less. As soon as I hit the "defrag now" (I have always
had it run as scheduled) , my HD started to reduce by alarming speed
before my eyes. The defrag took hours, 4 hours, by the end, i ended up
less than 10G, 7 of which came back out of nowhere the next day, but 3
did not.
So I did defrag and ended up 3G Less HDS than before.

Could anyone explain , please?

A:mystery of defragmenter

Originally Posted by tomoedinburgh

I click the "defragment now" and instead of freeing up a few Gbt of HD,
I have now 3G Less. As soon as I hit the "defrag now" (I have always
had it run as scheduled) , my HD started to reduce by alarming speed
before my eyes. The defrag took hours, 4 hours, by the end, i ended up
less than 10G, 7 of which came back out of nowhere the next day, but 3
did not.
So I did defrag and ended up 3G Less HDS than before.

Could anyone explain , please?

It may be your system restore creating restore point, or you can do disk clean up. I also believe that system restore is set to use about 10% of your hard drive. if you need to free some space you can go to my My computer, right hand click on your main drive letter, disk clean up, more options.
Other option is that you have virus telling windows that it is running out of free space.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/183665-mystery-defragmenter.html
Relevancy 36.98%

http://www.excessive-software.tk/I've used this very quick, if it really does have code by the sysinternals team this really is a solid piece of software.Power Defragmenter is based on Sysinternals defragmentation "engine".Basically its just a very advanced GUI for the Sysinternals core application which takes defragmentation process to a whole new level. Very high defragmentation speed, efficiency and ease of use.Such high speed is only available with Sysinternals defragmentation "engine".Thanks again to Sysinternals Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell.Version 1.8 features new PowerMode which provides even higher defragmentation rate.Power Defragmenter is a stand-alone application (extract&use) which works only in Windows 2000/XP

A:Power Defragmenter

This link does not work...also is it free?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/8932/power-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

OK, I don't know how it happened, but my defragmenter has vanished from my computer. I've done some very thorough searching, and I can tell you for sure that it's not there. Do you know where I can download it from the 'net (prefferably not from the M$ website)? I don't want anything fancy- free and basic is ok for me. Thanks in advance!

A:lost my defragmenter!

Try this site http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Search/defragment.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-my-defragmenter.426796/
Relevancy 36.98%

Personally I believe IOrbit's smartdefrag is way above any other freeware out there.

AutoDefrag
Scheduling
Shutdown after defrag
and it optimizes your files

Not to mention that its extremely fast.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/184588/best-defragmenter-that-is-free/
Relevancy 36.98%

hi
i have been having this problem lately
my defragmenter keeps saying some files on drive c could not be defragmented but when i review the report there is no files in the files that did not defrag collum what should i do
thanks

A:defragmenter problems

I don't think that it's anything major that you should worry about.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/229533/defragmenter-problems/
Relevancy 36.98%

I've just started defrag c: -w running in cmd. Is it deffo scanning if the curser is flashing under where it says Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corp. ?
Also should I not run any other programs or use the internet whilst it's scanning? Thanks

When the command is completed you will see this

Code:
C:\Users\(User Name)\
- For a Standard CMD

Elevated CMD

Code:
C:\Windows\System32\
Yes you may Surf the Internet while it is running

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/290665-disk-defragmenter.html
Relevancy 36.98%

When I try to run windows defragmenter it says. Defragmenter could not start. What should I do?

A:Windows defragmenter

Go Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and type the following commands:

cd \windows\system32
regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll
regsvr32 dfrgui.dll
exit

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/237668/windows-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hey guys,

How helpful is disk defragmenter? I defrag my laptop to make it run faster but it seems to be the same. What do you guys suggest?

And one more thing, how do you know that a file or something is on a bad sector? and how do you fix it?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/disk-defragmenter-203715.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I uninstalled diskeeper a long time ago and ever sense then my default defragmenter no longer works. The buttons have no action and ive already re-entered the registry values i read up on in another forum but still doesnt work. Please lend some assistance in this situation, my computer is running rather slow.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/defragmenter-not-working-312571.html
Relevancy 36.98%

Hey, I just used the disk defragmenter on my C: Drive so that I could have just a little more space but the thing made less space! The drive was at 10 gigs and it went down to nine... I know its not alot but still, I thought that this was supposed to free up space not take some up!

Cellyron1348 said:

Hey, I just used the disk defragmenter on my C: Drive so that I could have just a little more space but the thing made less space! The drive was at 10 gigs and it went down to nine... I know its not alot but still, I thought that this was supposed to free up space not take some up!Click to expand...

Hi! When you do a Defrag, you are organizing your files on your hard drive. Disk defrag put all those chunks of data together so next time you access that data the process will be much faster. If you wanna free up disk space, go to My Computer, make a right click on your hard drive letter-Properties and under the "General" tab click "Disk Cleanup" button. Or you can download this utility: CC Cleaner; it's free. Hope that helps. Ciao!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-defragmenter.540851/
Relevancy 36.98%

I've used Diskeeper and Perfect Disk. I've never used O & O.

Which disk defragmenter do you use?

and

Which of the 3 that I mentioned do you think is the best?

Thanks!!

Windows . . have tried the third party ones, but saw no improvement over Windows Defragmentor

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/disk-defragmenter-314293.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I am trying to install a program that needs 2 Gigabytes of contiguous disk space. I have tried defragmenting the drive; but, athough it has 4.5 Gigs of free space, it has only about 550 Megs of contiguous free space.

I need a defragmenter that will move all files into a contiguous area so I have enough contiguous free space.

What's a really good defragmenter that will do it?

I could take the drive to another machine, move all its files to another drive and then move them back; but, that's too much trouble. But, I'll do it if I have to.

Relevancy 36.98%

My disc defragmenter seems to be unable to carry out a defrag of my "C:\" drive. When I run it, it gets to 2% or 3% complete, then reverts to 0%, and simply carries on in this endless loop. I have no idea why this should happen, except around 12 months ago, I swapped a 4Gb disc for a 20Gb disc.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Relevancy 36.98%

Hi guys, me back again. I'm running windows 98 on my IBM Thinkpad Laptop. Used disk defragmenter last week and it ran as normal. Yesterday and today however, even after 5 hours, it is still flitting backwards and forwards between 0 and 1% of disk checking. Nothing has changed, to my knowledge, so can't work out why or how to give it a proverbial kick in the bytes.

Any clues or tips greatly appreciated.
Karen
Rhythm Link

Relevancy 36.98%

Hello,

Today I downloaded and installed a utility called Tweakmaster and I can't believe how much faster I move through the internet and download pages. I'm totally satisfied. I just ran across another utility called Cacheman, a memory recovery utility, and am wondering whether it would be a mistake to use this in conjunction with Tweakmaster. I have 56 megabytes of RAM and more than half is free, but I read that by freeing more RAM my system's performance will improve even more. Cacheman has received quite a few endorsements by previous users.

Thank you.

A:Ram defragmenter/optimizer

I really don't like cacheman or tweakmaster. I found it's better to tweak the cache settings with the tweaks found on http://www.startdisk.com. Then I use a bit of freeware from http://vstef.softnews.ro/ramdef.php called Ram Def Extreme to optimize and defragment the memory. It seems the less programs that are TSR the better. So this is a slim lined approach to achieve the same results.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ram-defragmenter-optimizer.124464/
Relevancy 36.98%

I'm new to the forum.
When I try to defrag my disk using the defragmenter that comes with Windows XT, I get the following message:
"Disk degragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume:(c:).
Please run Chkdsk/f.

Any ideas what I should do?

Sam

A:problem with defragmenter

Hi, i'm new as well.

I think the computer wants u to run the check disk

I forgot how to do it using the command line but this could be done:

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Use one of the following procedures:
? To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
? To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
? To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Hope it works

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-defragmenter-235755.html
Relevancy 36.98%

Hope someone can help me please I was defragging my main drive c when it froze I restarted the computer and then CHKDSK came up and it did it s thing Since then I find I can t defrag C drive I can defrag F and the Partition with Windows on it but If I try to defrag C drive I get the error quot Disk Defragmenter has detected that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on the volume C quot quot Please run CHKDSK F quot I have with & Please problem help Defragmenter beyond tried going to my Start Please help with Defragmenter problem & beyond menu and clicking on Run and then I type in CHKDSK F and then CHKDSK comes up for a second and disappears in less then a second Sometimes I close this error message and I get this message quot MMC EXE has generated errors and the program will be closed by Windows quot My wife has noticed that things are disappearing on our hard drive and I seem to be getting more space quot magically quot on my hard drive I used to have free space and now it has gone up to or so without deleting anything What is happening Any thoughts are appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Please help with Defragmenter problem & beyond

You will have to boot to a dos prompt by hitting f8 just after the memory count and before the windows starting to load message.
then run the chkdsk command. Chkdsk is a dos command, won't run from within windows

Have you ran a good anti virus lately, I would suggest you do

try here for an online scan
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-with-defragmenter-problem-beyond.76296/
Relevancy 36.98%

Defragmenter hangs up at 50%. Windows 98. Have tried defrag in normal and clean boot as well as safe modes. Have run scandisk and norton disk and win doctor utilities. Defrag still hangs at 50%complete. Can anyone help. Thanks.

Relevancy 36.98%

So, heres the situation. I have one HDD that i have partitioned into 2 parts. C: has XP 32 bit with all software and updates on it, no additional files(i.e. excel files that i have created). The total size of C: partition is 15 GB. I have 19% free space(15% is amount needed for Defrag to effectively defragment a drive).
I then defrag the drive... it does it's thing and we're done, right? No. The progress bar shows some fragented areas, mostly non though. I then immediately analyze c: drive again and get the message I should defragment again, WHY?

Relevancy 36.98%

refer something free (duh...)...any suggestions ?

thank you

nvm...I found a post related to this topic..sry about it.

A:Looking For A Good Defragmenter..

http://www.download.com/SpeeDefrag/3000-2086_4-10201636.htmlSpeeDefrag 4.1

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/82854/looking-for-a-good-defragmenter/
Relevancy 36.98%

does anyone know how to fix the defragger for xp? when i start it i get the error message "disc defragmenter could not start"

A:disc defragmenter

Hi,
How much free space do you have on the disk you are trying to defragment?
Have you run the error check utility?
Have you used a third party defrag software?
Bill

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/disc-defragmenter-331252.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I reverted back to Windows 7 Professional from Windows 10 within 24 hours of installing Windows 10 and now the Defrag program will not come on and is displaying this message:
"Disk Defragmenter was scheduled using another program"

"Disk Defragmenter is currently using customized settings created by another program. Before you can modify the schedule, you must remove the customized settings."
There is a button in the window labeled "Remove settings" which, when clicked does not solve the issue.

I would appreciate any help you may give to resolve this problem.

Thank you
DGwin

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a7193f6e-1994-4604-b1cb-32a25e98d4e7/defragmenter-not-working?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi folks,

When I try to run the defrag from the CMD (defrag C: /U) I get an error message that says:

The disk defragmenter could not start because you have insufficient priveleges to perfrom this operation. (0x89000024)

I have Administrative priveleges. Do I need to switch to a root user or something? What should I do?

Thanks.

Hello Eduede,

Are you using a elevated command prompt (run as administrator)?

Disk Defragmenter from Command Prompt - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/36511-disk-defragmenter.html
Relevancy 36.98%

Good day to you all, where can I find Disk Defragmenter in win8 (used to be in Acc/system tools in win7) and can I pin it onto taskbar? Thanks.

A:Defragmenter in Win8

If you'd like to make a desktop shortcut, which you could then drag to the taskbar, if you like, you can use this line in your shortcut:

%windir%\system32\dfrgui.exe

Good Luck and Happy 2014!

TM

PS: There are many things that we used to have on our desktop as shortcuts, but on Win 8 or 8.1 they are just HARD to find.
So once I've found them I make a shortcut to them and put them in a little folder on my Utilities Disk.
Then I write a batch file to dump them on the desktop, during an install/Setup of the OS.
Things I have shortcuts to, include:
Quick Shutdown
Reboot
Defrag
Disk Cleanup
Control Panel
System
Restore

Life is simpler when you don't have to go hunting for everything you need.

Happy 2014!
TM

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/38264-defragmenter-win8.html
Relevancy 36.98%

It has many passes. Will it ever stop ? How many passes are considered enough ?

win 7 home premium 64 bit.

Relevancy 36.98%

my problem is that recently my computer cannot run the disk defragmenter on my drive F(they said that i have to run the scandisk, and I did BUT NOTHING'S HAPPENED).that's not all, eveytime I boot on the computer, there will be a message telling me that "one of your disk have to be checked for consistency" than the conputer will scan disk automatically. how am i going to overcome this problem?

A:cannot run disk defragmenter(xp)

run
chkdsk /r
how full is your hard drive,defrg needs space to move things around in,if it is nearly full you need to do a disk cleanup to make room for it to work
for the starting each time you boot up
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316506
and do you defrag on a regular basis

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-run-disk-defragmenter-xp-83320.html
Relevancy 36.98%

What exactly does defragging a drive do? I try to do it like once a month, is that too much?, too less?

It basically moves everything so it is in order and towards the front of the drive.
Helps speed up access a little.
Once a month is fine.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/disk-defragmenter-82679.html
Relevancy 36.98%

Running windows 7 Professional. I am unable to access Windows defragmenter by any means. I have tried Start Menu, Cmd Line, dfrgui.exe. All that happens is a very short burst of action by the CPU and nothing! I am, therefore, unable to set a timed defrag!

It is possible that this is associated with the Tasking Scheduler, which is another recent problem. If I automate my system backup, the Tasking Scheduler then shows 'Selected Task ("{0}") no longer exists and then shows the application as 'Not Available'.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

A:Defragmenter does not work

Hi,

Can you check to see whether the defrag service is enabled? See below.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/157260-defragmenter-does-not-work.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I have Window XP profissional addition, when I start the disk defragmenter I get an access denied message with the following (C:/WINDOWS/system32/defrg.msc), this happend suddenly

Try to defrag in Safe Mode first.

or

Here are some infos on how to repair Defrag if it's damaged:
Open a run command and register these DLLs:
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 dfrgui.dll
regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll

or

Open Windows Explorer and locate this path;
C:\Windows\inf =in the right Pane/Window select dfrg.inf and right click on
it and select install

or

Open a run command and type in:
services.msc
Locate this service and make sure it is started Automatic:
DCOM Server Process Launcher
Reboot your Machine and see if you can Defrag, best if you start it in Safe
Mode.

or

Try line 291 (left column) from here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-defragmenter.792510/
Relevancy 36.98%

When I try run defragmenter I get a error (c:\WINDOWS\Config)

A:Defragmenter error

Can you be more specific? Is there something else at the end of Config?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/defragmenter-error.789875/
Relevancy 36.98%

Anyone know of a good free defragmenter for your Hard drives?? Windows built in one isnt cutting it anymore. Thanks

A:Free defragmenter...

Auslogics Disk Defrag
DefragNT
DIRMS 1.2.20 Defragger (command-line)
JKDefragGUI
Power Defragmenter
Diskeeper Lite
O&O Defrag 2000 Freeware
IObit Smart Defrag

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/free-defragmenter.651784/