Windows Support Forum

Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive?

Q: Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive?

Hello Recently bought a new Laptop D External files Change Partitioned Hard to back up from Drive Drive? and went through all the setting up process one of which was Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive? Windows back up At the time I just went for the partitioned drive option but after a week I've decided to buy an external Hard drive for my back ups instead My questions are Can I easily change the destination of the back up files Do I just delete everything on Drive D once I'm backing up to an external Hard Drive or will Windows give me this option when I change to external Hard Drive The Back up is done on a schedule so how do I get on when the date passes Will it ask me to plug my external Hard Drive in the next time I boot up Finally I'd like to back up our Desktop too running on Vista Can I just partition the external Hard Drive and keep our laptop and Desktop backed up on the same hard drive Cheers Matthew

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive?

Hi Matthew -

You don't need to partition the HD to keep your different backups on it.

The WindowsImageBackup file needs to be named only that and in the root of the external to reimage from the booted DVD or Repair CD, however you can click on it to see which PC it is for.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
Backup User and System Files

I don't like the way Win7 file backup works so I drag the active User folder from each computer here to external once per month, then update the backup image every few months. You may decide to go Manual after trying the automated backup, since you'll need to move the external to catch the backup anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/131476-change-back-up-files-d-partitioned-drive-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 85.87%

I have a USB external hard drive that I keep all my documents etc on had it change Hard Drive back - Letter - to External Drive unable changed for years I upgraded from Vista Home to amp Home Premium then had to upgrade recently to Professional to run my Sage Through all these upgrades my ext drive ran fine Occasionally the drvie letter would change if I had something else plugged into the USB this was External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back always easily corected in disk management by changing the drive path The connection on the case packed up so I had to get the External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back drive put into a new case now when I plug it in the drive is assigned G instead of F I tried to change the drive letter allocation in Disk Management but it won't let me as the program still thinks I have a second ext hard drive which is labelled F I suspect this has happened because when the usb connection broke the drive was disconnected suddenly instead of a proper eject How do I get Disk Management to remove the inactive drive - i can't find any obvious way - eject delete etc are all missing when I click on tools or tasks If there is no easy way then how do I stop program updates for Adobe etc failing because they can not find the F drive I don't know why they look at that drive anyway Help

A:External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back

Hi PAMDILL,

Welcome aboard.

Try this:

Download drivecleanup.zip V 0.8.1 from

Drive Tools for Windows

Unzip to a folder. In it you will have two folders Win32 and x64, each containing DriveCleanup.exe for Windows 32bit and 64 bit respectively.

Now unplug all the USB devices from your PC (except of course the Keyboard and mouse), right click on the appropriate DriveCleanup.exe for your system and run it as an administrator.

This will remove all non-present drives from the registry.

Reboot and then plug-in your external drive.

The drive will be installed and hopefully you should be able to assign any free drive letter to it.

Please report whether it resolved your problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/248054-external-hard-drive-drive-letter-changed-unable-change-back.html
Relevancy 85.87%

My External Hard Drive (My Book) was always Drive letter F.

I went to sleep and woke up to find Windows 7 Pro had updated and rebooted and I was welcomed by my login screen.

Consequently now my My Book external HDD now reads as Drive letter G.

I went into Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

Drive letter F is not available.

F is assigned to a drive that does not exist and never has. I am confused. I only have one CD drive and it says now that I have 2 even though the one addressed as F doesn't have any information. If I click on F it says "Insert Disk"

A:External Hard Drive (F) Drive Letter changed to G - Can't change back

Update: The mysterious other CD Rom drive seems to be MagicJack.

I did some research but the following tech help did NOT work as you can see by the previous post picture that it doesn't not show it up in Disk Management:

MagicJack/Support Resources/How-To/Assign Drive Letters - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/311689-external-hard-drive-f-drive-letter-changed-g-cant-change-back.html
Relevancy 80.6%

My external drive letter was K:, now it's L:. I checked the registry and saw that they both have the same value? I also can't change drive letter in computer management. Help me please!

A:External hard drive changed. Won't change back

Hello Jassie, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Go ahead and delete the \DosDevices\L: Binary vaule to see if the drive will be seen as K after restarting the computer.

If not, then see if you may be able to use OPTION TWO or OPTION THREE in the tutorial below to change it back to K.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/295215-external-hard-drive-changed-wont-change-back.html
Relevancy 105.78%

Hello,

I was recently copying a heap of files to my new HP Simple Save external hard drive and all of a sudden it wouldn't let me, saying that it was read only.

I have googled what seems to be everything and tried a range of options including-
-unchecking read only option in properties
-using cmd.exe option to look at storage device and next to read only it said no
-registry files - found some instructions to change read only in storage device options, but there was no storage device options, there was storage, but no option to remove read only
-i have also ensured that i have enough permissions etc..

Some details about my computer are-

Asus F5
Windows Vista
AMD Athlon X2 64 (not sure if this is relevant?)

Would really appreciate some advice if anyone can help me?

Cheers

A:HP External Hard drive - files are all read only and I can't change it

From what I have heard about those drives, it is a problem with the proprietary setup of the drive. It is classic HP stupidity. The drive is coupled with junkware, which eventually fails to work properly.

I know it sucks, but I would backup everything off that drive. Uninstall all the HP software and drivers related to it. Then go into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Storage. Kill all the partitions on the drive, setup a new one, reformat, and use it without all the HP junk.

After that, make sure to setup proper permissions on the new volume, and re-copy everything back. If you do not need NTFS security, then format it with exFat.

There should be a law against junkware..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-external-hard-drive-files-are-all-read-only-and-i-cant-change-it.950849/
Relevancy 105.78%

I have an external hard drive that I just formatted successfully It is a dual core and I am trying to use it with the Windows utility for backing up files I have tried and received this message An error occurred The following information might help you resolve this error The system cannot find the file specified x quot My Computer quot lists the additional drive and designates it with Letter K and Letter L since it is a dual core I am using Vista What can I do to make it successfully back up my files I have restore disks so I files failed! drive hard Solved: external up Back to don t really care if it backs up my system I do have many photos I Solved: Back up files to external hard drive failed! could just copy all pictures to the external drive but then it is very Solved: Back up files to external hard drive failed! hard to know which need to be backed up subsequently since they are all just listed in the pictures folder Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated but most I just want to be able to get the backing up to work Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 105.78%

Cousin's laptop - Dell Inspiron 6000. XP Home edition was riddled with malware. Prior to complete restore I copied all her documents to external drive. Checked transfer had gone okay and reinstalled laptop by clearing partitions and formatting using NTFS. (She hasn't got original Dell O/S disc etc - but that's another story!) Loading external 20gb Maxtor drive, it says (under computer management) -- 19.07gb unallocated. I cannot access the back up data I transferred last night....all her photos....Any ideas?

Relevancy 105.78%

I used a Duplicate Finger program to move MP3 duplicates from my external hard drive to my C drive. I have them all in a folder but discovered I need them back in their original folders. At least quite a few of them. Is there a way to do this automatically or am I stuck having to locate and do one by one?

A:Restoring moved files back to external hard drive

Some Dup. programs delete files to the Recycle Bin... check there first with the external drive connected and possibly you might be able to restore to the original locations.

You can also try undeleting the files from the external drive. Here is a listing of some free and some paid programs.

Just avoid saving or modifying anything on the external drive as that will lower your chances of recovery. Ideally you should recover to another location but to expedite matters, you can try recovering to the original locations. Personally I'd recommend recovering to a new folder on your computer and then copying them back over to the external.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-moved-files-back-to-external-hard-drive.1094902/
Relevancy 105.78%

I purchased a Silicon Power Rugged Armor A80 external hard drive to back up my computer & I can't get it to work. When I try to back up MY Documents, it scans the files, then the window says "wrong input" & "access denied". I have been trying to get help from Silicon Power customer service, but they haven't been able to shed any light on my problem. I'm running Windows 7 Professional & have Norton Internet Security. Could there be some kind of incompatibility with my OS or Norton that's preventing access to the files? This is very frustrating & I am very uncomfortable not having my files backed up.

A:Silicon Power external hard drive will not back up files

Hello and Welcome -Since you are putting the files onto a clean new external hard drive, make sure all browsers are closed and Disable your Norton while you do it.Some Norton programs often see simple things as a threat, and can at times refuse you permission to do what you want -Worth a try -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/465250/silicon-power-external-hard-drive-will-not-back-up-files/
Relevancy 104.92%

My old computer (Windows XP OS) was surged but I was able to retrieve my hard drive. I purchased a case for it and am able to connect to my new computer and read everything. I am unable to completely reformat though. I get a message that says it cannot reformat because there is some program running that the hard drive is using. I have shut everything down and still it will not reformat. I'm also wondering how to remove the partition? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 102.34%

I moved about 10GB of files (using Photoshop Elements) from my laptop's hard disk to an external hard drive. I double checked and the files were moved correctly - they don't show up on the laptop and show up on the external hard drive. However, the laptop's C drive does not show an increase in space. I restarted the laptop but it still shows the same free space as prior to the move.

Any idea why? This is with a Lenovo T440s with Win7.

Thanks,
Kunal

A:Moved files to external hard drive but no change in laptop disk size

Dumb question, did you delete the files off C ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/362836-moved-files-external-hard-drive-but-no-change-laptop-disk-size.html
Relevancy 101.05%

When we set up our system, it was suggested we partition our hard drive. Now our c/ is so full we can't run scan/defrag. I was told I could just move files from the c/ partition to the empty d/ partition. The ones I can get to move are still showing in the c/ (i'm sure I hit "move" not "copy"). Regardless most of the moves get aborted saying it is being used by another person. we are not networked, but each family member has their own log in. Help please...I'm thinking I'm making this way harder than it needs to be.

A:Moving files in partitioned hard drive

No you cannot move them out of the partition... leastways not easily.
But using a disk manager such as Acronis, you can enlarge the partition(s)... or add drives. We bought some 500GB hard drives today for $51... and 750GB for $63...
Have you thought about adding another hard drive to your existing configuration?
Creating a dual boot to two or more different hard drives?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/moving-files-in-partitioned-hard-drive.132572/
Relevancy 101.05%

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 with Windows XP. It came with a partitioned drive. The C: drive has 20 gb of space and is 95% full. The D: drive has 212 gb of space and is 2% full. I would like to transfer files from my C: drive to my D: drive, with the goal of leaving operating system files on the C: drive and everything else on the D: drive. How do I (i) determine which files I can or should transfer and which files I cannot or should not transfer (presume beginner's level of familiarity), and (ii) make the transfer? Thank you.

A:Transferring files in partitioned hard drive

Only move user files, like your pictures/word documents. If you need to move software, the headache you could cause isn't worth it. Uninstall the software and install to the other partition. You can move the whole of your my documents, my music, my pictures, etc... Some reference may stop working, but that shouldn't be much of problem. Just create a new folder on D:\ called documents, pictures, etc... and move the files in to those folders.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transferring-files-in-partitioned-hard-drive.883566/
Relevancy 99.33%

I recently purchased a western digital T My Book Essential to and external for an drive drive suggestions hard software to back up Need quot automatically quot backup my PC s internal hard drive and a Passport Need suggestions for software to back up hard drive and an external drive External drive I have that contains my media files I installed WD s Smartware software on my PC and learned that it will only backup my hard drive I also noticed that it seems to consume alot of processor capacity computer running much slower with it attached and my computer won t start up when attached When I Need suggestions for software to back up hard drive and an external drive called WD about my concerns they indicated that there is rd party software available that will allow me to automatically backup both my internal hard drive and the passport and may not require as much processor space they wouldn t provide specific recommendations They also sent me instructions on how to adjust my PC so that it Need suggestions for software to back up hard drive and an external drive won t try to boot up from MY Book interesteingly enough I ve never had this problem with my passport I have not yet had a chance to try their recommendations Suggestions on a good rd party back-up software would be appreciated Thanks

A:Need suggestions for software to back up hard drive and an external drive

Acronis has a good reputation.http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/340390/need-suggestions-for-software-to-back-up-hard-drive-and-an-external-drive/
Relevancy 98.47%

I am running Windows Vista.I am using a 1TB Iomega Backup Network Drive.I have tried using the Windows backup and restore program to backup my drive and get the following problem:I then entered some password I found and get:the system cannot find specified path 0x80070003I have the same problem if I use the program it came with Retrospect. This is driving me nuts. any help appreciated.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/373853/cannot-back-up-hard-drive-to-external-network-drive/
Relevancy 92.45%

I have acquired a new 250 GB external hard drive, and I need to know if there is a certain way to back-up the files I want on it.

The best way I can think of to describe what I want is like RAID-1, only with the copy on the external hdd. And I just want it to make copies of certain folders.

So say, I want my Music folder on the hdd to be exactly the same, folder for folder as the original on my internal drive, and have it update automatically each time I add something new to the folder.

Any help is greatly appreciated

A:Certain way to back-up on external hard drive?

I don't think you will find anything that will do it automatically every time you make a change to a file or add a file to your hard drive. You can schedule most backup software to do this.

I have my mother setup on SyncToy. It replicates her My Documents folder to her USB drive, which she takes to work with her.

There is other programs like SyncBack and Allwaysync that will do synchronization as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/certain-way-to-back-up-on-external-hard-drive.726122/
Relevancy 92.45%

I am having an issue trying to back up the data from my hard drive - I am trying to put it on my desktop or should I put it on another external mode of saving the files.

I am only a beginner and not too sure how to do a back up of external hard drives

I require the information for a book - this has a lot of data on it

A:How to back up an external hard drive

Quote: Originally Posted by Melissa

I am having an issue trying to back up the data from my hard drive - I am trying to put it on my desktop or should I put it on another external mode of saving the files.

I am only a beginner and not too sure how to do a back up of external hard drives

I require the information for a book - this has a lot of data on it

If the data you want to backup is on your computer, it should be backed up to an external hard drive.
If the data is on an external hard drive and you think it's faulty or something else, buy a new hard drive and use it to keep a spare copy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/276044-how-back-up-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 92.45%

How to back up and external hard drive?

I have a external hard drive I would like to back up on an extra computer
with a second drive on it. I know I can't simply use XP copy because its
gets stuck on extra long files names, etc. So what is the best way
to back up my data. Both Drives are 120G.

Thank you,

Relevancy 92.45%

I'm looking for a good external hard drive/back-up for the families 250 MG compaq desktop. something that wont need additional software, and will be easy to use and reliable. anyone have suggestions with first hand exp? thanks

Relevancy 92.45%

I want to use an external hard drive to back up my computer. I want to know if I can back up two computer hard drives on the same EHD. I am looking at a G Force 1TG EHD. I am unsure how these devices work and what I need to get started.

A:external hard drive for back up

well first you need a hard drive i recommend a westren digital 1 TB from maplin
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222312
its a bit pricey but they last forever ive heard
if a 500 GB one wich is good if you don't need a 1TB
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222308
they do have a 750 GB but it is out of stock

then you will need a backup program i recommend xxclone (free)
http://www.xxclone.com/
and your question
yes you can put two hard disk memorys into one as long as it not windows operating system
if it is a windows system the you will need to partiton the hard drive

i would like some other recommendations as well (not just me)

bye

aly369

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-for-back-up.770489/
Relevancy 92.45%

Don't laugh, its such a simple question.

I have been using a commercial company to back up my computer for the last 2 years. Now I have decided to do my own backups.

I already did the first back up to the external drive. Now its time to back up again,

my question is when I back up again, will everything be backed up again?

Or just the files that have changed?

Thank you fro your help.

Chief95

A:Back up to external hard drive

More details needed, such as the program you are now using, what files or partition you are backing up, etc.

But generally:

If you are referring to an image method of backup, you can typically choose to do a full backup of all files on the partition or just the "incremental" files that are new or modified since the last backup. Most would tell you that "incremental" backups are more prone to failure and problems and would probably advise you to do only full backups (new images of the entire partition). You might then keep say a couple of full backups--perhaps make images monthly and keep the most recent 2 or 3. Delete the oldest every time you make a new one. Something like that. Images are quite large, so you probably don't want to keep a dozen full images.

If you are referring to something other than images, such as a "file by file" backup program for personal files, you will find that such programs are typically designed to back up ONLY new or modified files on the second and later backup. For that reason, the second backup usually takes seconds or a minute or two, whereas the first one might take hours.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/257619-back-up-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 92.45%

I would like to perform a permanent back-up of my computer and not sure the best way of going about it. I've read getting an external hard drive to be the easiest way over copying everything to CD's. I do perform regular weekly back-ups through the Wizard but I am worried that if my computer crashes, I could lose everything and not be able to retrieve. This is all new to me, so thanks for your patience and would appreciate some advice on how to permanently protect and retrieve my stuff should my PC crash. I'm running XP Home Edition.
Thanks

A:Back Up PC Using External Hard Drive

Acronis is easily the best imaging software available. It can regularly update an image file on another drive of your HD, so that you are never more than "x" days away from a completely restorable point. Once a week, every day, etc...

You can save several images, or Acronis can just update the last one it made.

Wouldn't recommend a USB drive, though. Hate them. Slow, ridiculously slow. Throwing the POS out the window and screaming in rage at the engineer that dreamed the stupid things up slow. You can buy two internal HD's for the price of an external. If data portability is not a priority, I'd get a nice big fat 'ol 1 Tbyte SATA HD for about $100 at NewEgg, install it as a second drive, configure Acronis to run whatever image schedule you want and never have to think about it again.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/back-up-pc-using-external-hard-drive-349355.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi,
I just bought an external hard drive & would like to copy my C: drive to it... is it possible to do that with the dos copy *.* command? or do I need special software to do it?
Thanks for any suggestions you have.
Debby

Relevancy 91.59%

I've had this PC running the same way for about a year now (everything working fine) in the past week i noticed that 1 of my 4 hard drives started going really slow.
I checked all my IDE Channel and realized that the hard drive had changed to PIO Mode 4. I select it and check the 'Enable DMA' box and hit OK. the properties dialog closes but when i reopen it it's set back to PIO Mode 4.
Any ideas?

A:Hard Drive changes to PIO Mode 4 - can't change back to DMA

It should not be any slower on PIO 4 than it is on any DMA setting, they are capped at the same rate.

Ultra DMA would be different, doubling the transfer rate.

Could you help us out by:
1. Filling out your system specifications entirely?
2. Telling us if you were doing anything when this happened?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/120475-hard-drive-changes-pio-mode-4-cant-change-back-dma.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I just got my replacement H.D. back for my HTPC and I ghosted the bad drive and now reinstalled everything onto it. I had to set the drive letter to F: because I already had a drive C: on the computer that I was doing the cloning on. The computer that needs the replacement drive is looking for drive C:.

How can I fix this?

Joe

A:Ghosted Hard Drive (How to change back to C:)

If you are running XP go to computer management - disk management and you can reassign drive letters there by right clicking on the drive you want to reassign. You may have to do some moving of drive letters to get everything back to where you want it/or it shoulod be.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ghosted-hard-drive-how-to-change-back-to-c.414660/
Relevancy 91.16%

My hard drive is making horrible noises and even sometimes is not recognized upon startup. After I take it out and put it back it, it works fine, but still bad mechanical noises. I am about to order a new one and have an external hard drive and was wondering if there is a way to backup the whole thing onto the external, and when I install a new hard drive, I can just load the backup file and take off like nothing happened?

My system is a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop running windows xp home. 1.6 P4, 768 ram.

Thanks for your attention and help...

Buck

A:Hard drive about to die, how do I back it up onto an external for replacement?

You can transfer a copy of everything on the PC onto a external hard drive by following these steps:
1. Go to Start - Accessories - System Tools - Backup
2. Follow the steps to select what files you want to copy over
3. Choose the device to which all the files will go to

Once you have got a new hard drive you can restore all the old files back and you will not have lost a single thing.

Good Luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-about-to-die-how-do-i-back-it-up-onto-an-external-for-replacement.698160/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hello,
I purchased an external hard drive to back up my files. However, I keep getting an error msg about the files being too large. I think this has to do with the format of the hard drive.
Instead of going through a backup program, can't I just do a copy/paste on the files I want to back up? That is how I would do it when I put files on CD, so won't this work on an external hard drive?
Thank you! Maggie

A:Trying to back up to external hard drive - error msg

Hello

What operating system are you using? Have you formatted and partitioned your hard drive?

If you right click on my computer and select manage, then disk management, then pick your external drive, right click for format and partition options. Please note.. this will delete all existing data on your external.

This alll presumes you are running windows

Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-back-up-to-external-hard-drive-error-msg.129392/
Relevancy 91.16%

I want something thats encrypted if you want to and 1TB. Easy to use.

I got questions about back up hard drives:

1. If you have schedule back up on does it overwrite the previous backup?

2. I heard if you want the whole system on the back up you have to image software how does that work exactly?

3. Can you take that image the image software takes and store it on the back up drive?

4. What happens if you have the OS on the hard-drive and you connect it to a new computer? Would it overwrite?

5. When you go to back up does it seriously back up everything from the drive? Cause I have Itunes library I don't feel like using 600 disc to back that up...

Thanks

A:What Kind of External Back up hard drive should I get?

A personal view.
Look for sales. Everyone has their favourite brand. I prefer WD (Elements) for this.
For 1TB get one with a mains power supply unit.
Check that it spins at 7200 rpm (not 5400)
A bare bones unit - no built in backup software
Don't keep it power up all the time. Temperature will decrease their life.
Accept the beast can die on you

Download
CrystalDiskInfo
It can keep an eye on the health of the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/141102-what-kind-external-back-up-hard-drive-should-i-get.html
Relevancy 91.16%

hi I use external hard drives to save data and media external problem up drive/back hard then a second to back up Bought new hard drive terrabyte as main drive to which I save everything and when I checked properties it shows that there are over gb used If I click on each thing that is saved ie My documents public all the photos and music the total is only about gb so first question - why external hard drive/back up problem would this be please I used to use a gb drive before I bought the new one and there was more than enough room Second question is external hard drive/back up problem of course - when I tried to back the first hard drive up to the second it showed red if there are over gb to copy I guess tere is not enough room - but previously and I have nt added more than a few mb if that since buying new first drive there was more than enough room in fact I used to back up weekly and put on the new back up before I deleted last weeks would really appreciate some help please external hard drive/back up problem Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-back-up-problem.1002979/
Relevancy 90.73%

I just installed a new hard drive (Maxtor) to be used as a new boot drive and partioned it into 2 parts. I still have my old hard drive as the slave. I installed all of the contents of my original drive into the new drive. I can see the part of the new drive with all of my files, DRV_Vol1 (C. However, I cannot seem to access the other half of the hard drive.

I went into computer management and storage. I can see the half with my files, but the other part is listed as unallocated and does not show up under 'My Computer".

How can I make this part of my hard drive accessable?

od2b

A:Partitioned Hard drive - can only see part of drive

Create an extended partition in the unallocated space.
Then create a logical drive in the new partition and format with ntfs.
Once finished you should be able to use the partition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-can-only-see-part-of-drive.515767/
Relevancy 90.73%

I am having a weird problem with lots of jpg files that I deleted months ago and emptied the recycle bin dozens of times since deleting the files, those are mysteriously reinstated into their original folders on the external drive!! all they are are jpg files that after I print them, I delete them permanently. but after about 3 - 6 months those files are back into the folders!! running Windows 7 Ultimate

A:Deleted files come back all my themselves on External Drive

Run a full scan with Malwarebytes on all drives, followed by SuperAntiSpyware - decline the trial versions to just use the scanners.

Then move the data off the external and wipe it with Diskpart Clean Command, repartition in Disk Mgmt.

If these fail work through the Troubleshooting Steps linked in my signature pic below, reporting back results.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/317223-deleted-files-come-back-all-my-themselves-external-drive.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I had to replace my hard drive an windows assigned the drive letter to I: not to c: how do I change it to c:

A:how to change the main hard drive letter back to c:

Hi

See this article: How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-change-the-main-hard-drive-letter-back-to-c-602838.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Hello I was given a WD Passport external hard drive to back up my pc on I have a Windows computer No instructions came with this WD device so I contacted WD support They said since my pc is Windows I would have to contact Windows to find out how to format and back up my pc on this external hard drive The only instructions I find online are for Windows and the Windows site itself has NO information on Windows back Passport drive up external = with WD hard problems external hard drive back up instructions I got online to Windows tech help and all they did was copy and past info for the Windows external hard drive info which does me no good since nothing on Win is where it s supposed to be or named what it s supposed to be named How do I back up my pc to this WD Passport external hard drive device Supposedly I have it formatted WD Passport external hard drive = problems with back up already for Windows so all I should have to do is save my pc on it but I don t know how on this screwed up Win Can anybody tell me simple step by step instructions on how to back up my pc on this external drive Thanks nbsp

A:WD Passport external hard drive = problems with back up

wikiHow has step by step directions.

http://www.wikihow.com/Back-up-a-Computer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wd-passport-external-hard-drive-problems-with-back-up.1145234/
Relevancy 90.3%

I am currently running Vista Home Premium and windows mail.
I am looking forhelpon backing up windows mail to an external Hard Drive.
I also have a memory stick 16G. Can anyone please help me out and show me a path
as to how I can backup the windows mail files onto the externa; hard drive. Itis a
Seagate 3.0.

Thank you

JIm

A:How do I back up windows mail to an external Hard Drive?

Welcome
Im not currently at home and am going by memory. If you look at the top of your inbox email, you will see (on top) file. I believe if you click on that you will see export and import, hit export.

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/295803-how-do-i-back-up-windows-mail-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 90.3%

How can I tell Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) to close my external hard drive and take it offline? The only way I know is to shut down, which is pretty inconvenient. This was east to do in XP, and ensures that the end of file marker is written, so that there was no garbaging of files by re-use of currently allocated space.

Thanks!

A:How to take an external (USB) hard drive back offline in Windows 7?

Welcome to the forum,

I just use the safely remove hardware method,

Safely Remove Hardware - Eject Device

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/331169-how-take-external-usb-hard-drive-back-offline-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I was trying to do a system backup on an external hard drive in windows 10 and once it started i noticed that it was creating a backup for my old Windows 7 64 operating system. How do I get it to back up my current Windows 10 system and all of my files on the C: drive.?

A:How do I Back up my Windows 100 system on an external Hard Drive?

I think you'd have to describe your system configuration further, and say how you're starting the backup.
Are you dual booting?

Otherwise: best recommendation: use disk imaging regularly, before and after each major change.

Macrium Reflect (free) (no incremental imaging)
I've seen recommendations for this one:
Free Desktop and Laptop backup - Veeam Endpoint Backup

I'm currently using O&O DiskImage, having moved from Aomei Backupper.

Use one of these + create its boot disk/device + get large enough external storage.

Allows to to back up everything on a disk/partition and recover your PC to how it was when you created the image and replace the drive easily. (For example).

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/39912-how-do-i-back-up-my-windows-100-system-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Greeting's,

I have a 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive plugged i nto My Pc Via eSATA Cable, it is recognised in My Computer and I can store things on it with no problem , unfortunately...when I do a System Back up through Back up and Restore in Vista Home Basic64 it only gives Me the option of backing up to CD/DVD ...!!! My Ex HDD is not listed for some reason ...?? .
Can Anybosy offer Me any advoce Please ..??.

Many Thanks.

Jumbo 1.

Relevancy 90.3%

Hey guys, I recently recieved a new External hard drive. The other day, I changed the icon on it, no problem. I've done it millions of times. Then last night, I formatted the drive because I wanted to get rid of this annoying virtual drive that would also come up when I plugged it in. So, I formatted it and now it seems I can not change the icon. I do all the autorun.inf etc. Here's a screenshot

http://jarrodjs.rumkin.com/comp.jpg

Also you can see my other drive icons are gone. Ive reset the icon db before and no other icons have this problem but im not sure if I need to reset it again to get the rest back.

But my external hd is top priorite.
Thanks!!!

A:Change External Hard Drive Icons

Hello Jarrod, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might see if deleting the desktop.ini files and seeing if one of the methods in the tutorial below will allow you to change the drive icon to what you want instead.

Drive Icon Change

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/269678-change-external-hard-drive-icons.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Windows 7 Home Premium
Under Windows Explorer 'Computer' all of the my drives and storage devices are listed. I am trying to change the icon associated with my esata external hard drive. Anyone know how to do this?

A:How to change the Icon for my external hard drive

hi jonych, and welcome to sevenforums,

check out this thread: How to change icon for external storage

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/162085-how-change-icon-my-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi all

I recently bought a new Western Digital external hard drive and mirrored it to my old Lacie external hard drive.

However now the WD hard drive is showing the Lacie logo - and I can't remove it!

I've tried going into "Properties > Customise > Choose File" to "Choose a file to show on this folder icon" however doing this doesn't change the icon at all.

I've also downloaded a program called "My Drive Icon" which is supposed to change the icon, however this didn't work either.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298595-cant-change-icon-new-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 90.3%

This hard drive has many important pics on it I went under Command Prompt as administrator and did driver detail on it Besides saying that the Current Read Only State and the Read Only saying Yes beside them the Location Path says unavailable a to Read is Hard that? Drive there External Only, change way To make it really weird sometimes when I first plug it in I can copy External Hard Drive Read Only, is there a way to change that? stuff from it but only for like a fraction of a minute and than External Hard Drive Read Only, is there a way to change that? it wont let me into files I have another hard drive of the same brand and size empty and awaiting to save files from this hard drive also when I will try to get on the files External Hard Drive Read Only, is there a way to change that? some of them will ask me if I want to format the disk I will say cancel and it will say data error cyclic redundancy check I have read else where that this means the disk is failing I want to change the drive from read only to a way to get the stuff off the hard drive Oh the hard drive is a GB Free Agent Go Flex Seagate USB so is the one I have ready for it Also a little bg when it first died I couldnt even get on far enough to see files On time I did get on about weeks later and was able to see all my files were still there Than my compy died since I didnt realize it had come unplugged from the wall After that once again I couldnt get on it and it was reading as RAW Than this past week all of a sudden it was reading as NFTS showing the properties so I can see that the same amount of GB is still the same as before the drive went weird and letting me get on to the first part and sometimes into a few of the files but only ones with sub folders Thats also when the Read Only started up Okay I think I thought of everything Really I'm just trying away to save my pics vids and docs on there I have wmv avi doc txt jpeg wps and I think thats it maybe a different image type file

A:External Hard Drive Read Only, is there a way to change that?

Create a bootable pendrive with Lucid Puppy on it, boot from it and check whether you can access and retrieve your files from the external HDD.

Lucid Puppy way to recover files from a non-bootable computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/233141-external-hard-drive-read-only-there-way-change.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Somehow, I changed the location of my external hard drive from the I: drive to the H: drive. When I click on my external hard drive under the H: drive, all it shows is the H: hard drive shortcut. When I click on the shortcut, it says that the H: drive cannot be located.

I tried to find it under the I: drive, but it cannot find an I: drive.

Is there any way I can change it back to my I: drive? Will I be able to get my backup files back?

Thanks in advance.

A:How do I change the location of my external hard drive from H: to I:

Hello Wolf, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Yes, the tutorial below can help show you how to change the drive letter back to I.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/249841-how-do-i-change-location-my-external-hard-drive-h-i.html
Relevancy 89.87%

I built my own computer keeping the CD-ROM drive cd-rw drive and hard drive I had to reformat my old hard drive to get it to work I hard Transferring all portion files from drive portion another one of partitioned to installed XP Pro and partitioned it into two parts one GBs the other GB Windows installed on the GB portion and the GB portion is empty I would like to transfer all the files from the GB portion to the GB portion but every time I try it says I cannot because the system files are in use I would also like to transfer all Transferring all files from one portion to another portion of partitioned hard drive files from a hard drive in a really old computer that I am giving to a relative so I don t lose all those files the old old hard drive is gb and runs windows I would like to transfer the entire drive including all system and personal files so I have two OSs on the new computer to the GB portion of the newer hard drive System specs on new computer VA- motherboard Semperon CPU ddr pc ram specs on old computer mhz Celeron mb upgraded to mb pc hp manufacturer GB samsung hard drive bought in Specs on old old computer mhz PII I think MB ram packard bell manufacturer GB fujitsu hard drive bought in both hard drives are IDE nbsp

A:Transferring all files from one portion to another portion of partitioned hard drive

If you have not loaded a lot of programs yet ,
I suggest the easiest way is reload the xp to the 2nd partition
that will get you dual boot.
as you add programs ghost them to the 2nd OS
the copying of the other drive is little simpler
get seagate harddrive utility connect up the 2nd drive as slave
copy to the drive letter of your 2nd partition
no OS is running on 2nd drive you should be OK
ps watch out on startup XP may not like the file struction of this drive get ready to abort chkdsk ,you don't want this to run
as the other drive is probubly DOS file system

Please read!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transferring-all-files-from-one-portion-to-another-portion-of-partitioned-hard-drive.26461/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hello,

I just recently replaced my computer after the theft of my old one. I unfortunately backed up too infrequently, but that being said, there are files (music, documents, email) on my external hard drive that I would like to transfer to my new computer. My problem is that I'm not sure that my hard drive isn't compromised. I seem to recall that when I plugged my hard drive into my previous computer, that that computer spontaneously restarted. Since I now have a "virgin" system I am hesitant to plug my drive into it w/o scanning it thoroughly then reformatting it. Is there a safe way of doing this with my computer or do I need to take the drive somewhere for file extraction and cleaning?

Thank You,

----Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-computer-possibly-infected-back-up-external-hard-drive.1105447/
Relevancy 89.44%

I added a 120 gig Western Digital USB external drive and used Acronis to create a backup of my hard drive. I then used Windows XP to remove it as a USB device so I could power it off. Now, when I power it back on it is not recognized by XP and does not appear on My Computer or on Disk Management (where I originally formatted it for NTFS). All I get is a sound like a single "KERPLONK" when I power it on.

A:XP will not recognize external hard drive (E) after removal and power back on

Wait, when you say you "removed it" where did you remove it from? From Safely Remove Hardware or from Device Manager?

The "KERPLONK" sound is a good sign - it means that Windows it at least recognizing that something is being plugged into the USB port. Have you tried running the Add New Hardware wizard in Control Panel?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-will-not-recognize-external-hard-drive-e-after-removal-and-power-back-on.382947/
Relevancy 89.44%

< < PLEASE HELP !!! > >

Hi! I am using Bart PE to recover data from my laptop's hard drive, which has stopped booting up and instead comes up with a blue error message stating that there is an 'unmountable boot volume'. Therefore, using the 'get data back for NTFS' plugin, I have managed to see and get to the stage where I can copy the files to somewhere else to recover them. However, the laptop/software just will not detect my external hard drive, a 320GB USB Toshiba!

Has anyone please got any suggestions as to what I can do to 'see' the hard drive and transfer the data to it? Or how I can get the files off another way? I really need the recent data on it, and my last back-up was two months ago mad!

Thanks for reading this,

Ghost3203,

A:<<Get Data Back NTFS - Can't Detect My External Hard Drive>> Please Help :(

(FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE SEE: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/643999-unmountable-boot-volume-please-help.html)

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/get-data-back-ntfs-cant-detect-my-external-hard-drive-please-help.645656/
Relevancy 89.44%

I have a Toshiba EHD 300GB.. When I first connected it, it had its own unique icon.. I decided to format it and now it's icon is a plain white sheet with little squares .. I've tried doing the procedure in this link (Drive Icon Change - Vista Forums) but it still didn't work. I'd love to show you what it looks like, but I don't know how to paste the image I captured.

I've tried renaming it, but that doesn't help. It doesn't even want to be renamed.

I was thinking if there's any other way we could return that unique icon it had and rename it other than the link I followed above.

My EHD works perfectly. I'm just bothered as to why I can't change the icon and its name. Thanks in advance for your advices..

A:External Hard Drive name and icon doesn't change

Hello Paxnominus,

For Windows 7, you might use these tutorials instead.Drive Icon - Change

and

Drive - Rename
Double check the item in the yellow TIP box at the top of the tutorial to see if you may have a autorun.inf file on the root of the external drive that needs to be deleted.

If Option One did not work, then be sure to also try Option Two as well.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/105671-external-hard-drive-name-icon-doesnt-change.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi All I have a difficult problem in a friends laptop I'd like to sort out the system -WinXP v Sp - Compaq Presario C gb ram These are the symptoms - unable external files [SOLVED] system HD back access Can't or as drive up to copy and paste as paste shows up in grey in the right click options - can't drag and drop - can't access network message like quot RPC server is not working quot shows up - when in safe mode administrator account's task bar is locked below the bottom of screen [SOLVED] Can't back up files or access system HD as external drive I couldn't find a way to put it visible i can see the edge of it's top but it won't budge with mouse drag as well Task bar is visible from my friend's User's account though - I still can get access to task manager by pressing ctrl alt del and start programs utilities from there - I used his hard drive as external drive in my laptop Win but my system can't access data drive c quot access denied quot error but can access restore drive D Since my friend didn't have any back ups the system has quot arrested quot his personal files We d like to recover them somehow I have already tried all following fixes but none worked the system basically still has the issues described above - I tried sfc in administrator safe mode through command prompt but this error shows up quot Windows file protection could not initiate a scan of protected files Specific error code is x ba the RPC server is unavailable - I ran full scan modes of Avira premium anti-virus free Avast anti-virus Ad-aware and IObit internet secutrity on the hard drive connected to [SOLVED] Can't back up files or access system HD as external drive my laptop as an external drive The scans found Suela- and hiberfil sys infections which were [SOLVED] Can't back up files or access system HD as external drive cleaned These were found or one of them at least in directory j found dir chk de j being my friend s drive attached as an external HD in my laptop They also found a Dialer-KT which none of the above could clean off - I tried system restore from friends user acc first is says quot Sys restore is not able to protect your computer Pls restart and then run Sys restore again quot After restarting nothing happens so basically I can t access system restore - I have tried to take ownership of my friends files and grant rights to my user account in laptop but the files remain inaccessible still access is denied error The process of taking ownership seemed to have gone through all ok though I could see the directory lines going by as the system was reallocating ownership Maybe I did not grant rights of access properly At least I know the files are still in the hard drive This kind of backfired however cause now i can only restart my friend s laptop in safe mode as the normal reboot mode gets to meet up with the infamous BSOD Any suggestion for what I could try next would be welcome Thx

A:[SOLVED] Can't back up files or access system HD as external drive

Have you tried booting from a retail Windows XP SP3 setup disc? The retail version will scan for existing installations of Windows and if it detects it, it will ask if you would like to repair the installation. If you choose yes, it will strip the hardware-dependent files, and overwrites important binary files. It will leave the user profile information intact.

This is the procedure I used back when I would upgrade a motherboard and did not want to install a fresh installation of XP or reactivate it. Make sure the hard drive is in the original system (the one you are trying to restore) and if needed, remove any other hard drives temporarily to increase the chance of success of the repair procedure.

Alternative: If you own a copy of Acronis True Image 10 or 11 (not 2010 or 2011) and have external storage available, you can create an image of the hard drive before attempting further repair operations. Additionally, you can download VMWare Player free of charge from VMware.com along with vSphere Converter standalone installer and create a virtual machine using the .TIB file created with Acronis True Image 10.0 or 11.0 or Acronis Echo Enterprise (I forget what they call it now, it used to be Acronis True Image Enterprise).

Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Workstation is also able to restore a .TIB backup file to a VM for testing/troubleshooting purposes.

Hope this info starts you in the right direction, good luck.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-cant-back-up-files-or-access-system-hd-as-external-drive-555666.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Yesterday my external hard drive was working fine. Today I open it and there's a new folder called Pfiles...I am not running linux...and a tmp file. I delete the tmp file and try to delete Pfiles but it won't delete. Weird. So I open one of the folders and see that it's now empty, as are almost all of my other folders and subfolders. My daughter's folder however has her movies on the main subfolder, but subfolders in this folder are also empty.

The hard drive is showing half full...exactly what it should assuming I could access all the files. So what can I do? I've enclosed a screenshot of the Disk Management screen for this drive. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

A:Help with external hard drive. Files "missing" but still taking up space on the drive

Hi djfl,

External Hard-drives come in different types, some of them are, External storage devices and Automatic back-up devices.

If it is an automatic back-up device then data might be backed-up on the External Hard?drive without user intervention.

If it is an External storage device the files might be hidden. This could be the reason why the external Harddrive is showing half full. We can check if the files are hidden, please use the following link for detailed instructions to unhide folders: Hidden Files and Folders Option - Add or Remove

Please revert back for clarification.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298528-help-external-hard-drive-files-missing-but-still-taking-up-space-drive.html
Relevancy 86.86%

My primary HDD was failing so I backed it up and replaced it with a larger 1TB drive.  After reinstalling everything the new drive is displaying the same size as my old drive and the extra space available is unallocated.  I can allocate it as
a separate drive but I find that annoying and would prefer to just have my primary C: drive show up with all of the available space.  I formatted the extra space and made it available separately as drive G hoping that I could EXPAND drive C but that option
is not highlighted as selectable on drive C for some reason.  Should I just live with this extra space or is there a way to easily combine C and the new G space?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5d2dcad7-8be2-43d0-ab11-051f2d407984/replace-with-larger-primary-hard-drive-in-laptop-now-showing-old-drive-size-windows-7-650gb-to?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 86.43%

Dear Fellow Members:
How do you move audio files from a CD-RW disk back into Windows Explorer on your hard drive. I get the message that Explorer was unable to read the CD-RW.

I can play music off the CD-RW just fine with Real Player or Windows Media Player on the computer. My goal is to burn some new CD-R's for my kids. I used to do this all the time but I have been using online backup and have forgotten how.

Regards,
mcdonha
Tennessee - USA

A:CD-RW decompress files back to hard drive

Mcdonha,

First a question...what is the format of the File(s) on the CD-RW??? Are there a collection of music files, MP3, WAV, etc, or is there only a single file in a proprietary CD format belonging to the CD writer program that was used?

Whichever the case is, I am surprised that you can not do a COPY to a HD? You may have to use the CD Program to do the COPY?

Anyway, Identifying the File type and the application that created the CD will help us to respond to your question.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-rw-decompress-files-back-to-hard-drive.309026/
Relevancy 86.43%

Have all our photos saved on an external hard drive to free up space on laptop, but would like to have them securely backed up elsewhere. Could anyone talk me through options of online back up? Have seen Acronis online backup and guy in Curry's gave me some stuff on TechGuys Data Vault. Is there anything apart from price/capacity that I should look out for? Any recommendations gratefully received.

Relevancy 86.43%

I have an HP notebook which runs on Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

I have two external hard drives, both Western Digital Elements. The older one, 1 TB, uses the FAT 32 file system. This is inconvenient since some files I wish to add are larger than 4 GB.

The newer WD, 2 TB, is NTFS, so sometimes I have to use this drive for the larger files that would ordinarily go onto the older drive, based on how I organize my data.

Is there any way to change the older drive from FAT32 to NTFS???? (That is, a solution that "even I" can understand????)

Thanks if you have anything to suggest.

cashcqshel

A:[SOLVED] How to change external hard drive file system from FAT32 to NTFS????

You can use the command line tool "convert" to convert a FAT32 volume to NTFS. Example:

convert X: /FS:NTFS

NOTE: This operation is not without risk. Be sure you have a backup of all important files before proceeding. Of course you should have this anyway. Usually the command works without incident but it can fail, leaving the volume in an undefined state. It is a good idea to check the drive with the chkdsk command before proceeding. Do not do this on a drive whose reliability is in question.

Also be aware that the command is non-reversible. Microsoft provides no tools to convert NTFS to FAT32.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-how-to-change-external-hard-drive-file-system-from-fat32-to-ntfs-601183.html
Relevancy 86.43%

My computer has a 4 Gig hard drive that is partitioned. I keep having to clean out the C part and if I could move some of my programs, etc. to the D side, it would help quite a bit.

I have added a 20 Gig Drive that I use for correspondence and other things, so I have plenty of memory, but do not know what I need to do to organize.

I understand there is some software that will eliminate the partition, or rearrange the drive contents.

Any helpful advise would be appreciated.

Relevancy 86.43%

Trying to install my old hard drive (as a second hard drive) to my new PC (Win.ME)so I can retrieve files. The new PC recognized the old hard drive (named it D)and I was able to access it. My problem is the old hard drive was partitioned. The new PC allows me to see the files in the main partition but not the second partition. It doesn't recognize the second section and thats the section I really want to get to. Any thoughts on how I can access that second section? Thanks

Relevancy 86.43%

My hard drive is partitioned C: and F:. Will a clean install of 7 over XP currently installed on C: mess with my F: drive?? In other words can I save all my stuff to F:??
Thanks

A:Hard drive partitioned

No.. Your F drive will be just fine... nothing will change, your data is safe..

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30351-hard-drive-partitioned.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I'm running on Windows XP. A recent crash left me with several functions missing so I decided to reload Windows from a recovery disk. This has worked except that I seem to have partitioned my hard drive. I have a drive C with 10gb free out of 147gb which is fine for me, and a J drive with 10kb free out of 10.7Gb. The computer wants to use drive J and is ignoring C, hence I'm getting constant "Critically Low Disk Space" error messages. I rather feel I might have to reload Windows again but can anyone tell me what I did wrong last time? Or is there a way of merging both drives?

Thanks again for your help.

Apothecary

A:Partitioned Hard Drive

System manufacturer and model?

When using a recovery/restore disk to reinstall Windows...the instructions, explanation, etc. for how that all works...are determined by the system manufacturer.

Some such disks also utilize an additional partition on the hard drive (which they created during the install of XP) which is necessary in order for the recovery/restore mechanism to function properly.

You would have to consult either your system documentation (owner's manual) or the manufacturer's website...for specifics regarding such.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/261680/partitioned-hard-drive/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi,

I have a partitioned hard drive. Windows98 is on C and Windows2000NT on D. I would like to put XP on the C: part. Can I FDISK just the C: portion of my hard drive?

A:Partitioned Hard Drive

Yes you can. Follow this procedure:
Start>>run>> type "cmd">> format C:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive.544621/
Relevancy 86.43%

My hard drive is partitioned and I have Windows and Programs on C, and everything else on D.

Is there any particular reason for keeping the Programs on C? Have just done a re-format and have several hours work ahead of me re-installing programs and applications. It would make life lot easier if all I had to contend with on C was Windows.

Thanks !

Relevancy 86.43%

Why have I got 2 drives Do I need both

A:partitioned hard drive

If you mean from the factory, your "everyday" drive, usually C: is what you're using. The D: retores your computer to the way you received it. Other letters would be for other drives like your optical drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/partitioned-hard-drive-661177.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Folks
I am a babe in the woods just getting on my feet so please bear with me.
I have swapped out a shot hard drive from my Dell Inspiron 546 for a new 1Tb one. The dell is running a AMD Phenom X4 64. I plan to partition the new hard drive and right now it has the new windows 10 on it . I have found a lot of my programs do not work properly with 10 on the older Dell. I don't know if it's possible but can I partition, keeping the 32 bit Win10 in one and down load a 64 bit copy of Win7 on the new partition,hopping to end up running a Win 10 32 bit on 'C' and a 64 bit Win 7 on the new partition?
Possible?or pipe dream?

Any input will be most welcome and appreciated!

Flypaper 

A:Partitioned 1Tb Hard Drive and 2 OS.

It should be possible to do this.  However I have to admit I haven't set up a dual boot system on one disk since Windows 7 era.  It could be there are some extra complications.  One of which is that Windows 10 seems to create more partitions for itself than older versions of Windows (I have 4).  If Windows 10 is 32bit, then the disk will be in MBR rather than GPT format.  You can check this in Disk Management.  In Disk Management, right click the drive and choose "Properties" and choose the "Volumes" tab.

The implication of MBR format is it limits you to 4 primary partitions (or 3 primary, 1 extended).  It would be helpful if you include a screenshot of your main Disk Management window to show how your drive is currently partitioned.

Another possible issue is that it is usually easier to install the older O/S first (i.e. Windows 7) and create space for the newer one (i.e. Windows 10), then install that second.  This is because Windows traditionally doesn't "play nicely" with O/S's it doesn't recognise, and tends to overwrite the boot loader, potentially leaving your original OS unbootable.  Windows 10 installer will recognise an existing Windows 7 install, but Windows 7 installer won't necessarily recognise a Windows 10 install...

I also wanted to install Windows 7 on my Windows 10 system for various reasons, and for me, the easier solution was to use a separate hard drive for Windows 7.  I disconnected the primary disk and installed Windows 7 to a second hard drive, then reconnected the Win 10 drive once the install was done.  This prevents the Windows 7 installer from interfering with the Windows 10 install in any way..  This means I don't get a boot menu, but fortunately my system has a boot override key (F12) which allows me to select which drive to boot from at startup without having to go into BIOS.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587760/partitioned-1tb-hard-drive-and-2-os/
Relevancy 86.43%

I AM TRYING TO FORMAT A HARD DRIVE THAT HAS BEEN PARTITONED INTO THREE PARTS?? CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THAT? I'D LIKE TO RE-PARTITION IT AND REFORMAT IT. ITS AN OLD PC IBM APTIVA. ALSO WHEN I TRY TO START THE PC IT KEEPS SAYING NON SYSTEM DISK ERROR, REINSERT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY. HELP PLEASE!!!!

Relevancy 86.43%

Hi everyone, I recently bought a computer from a friend, at the time, it was running Windows ME but since then I have updated it to XP Professional. My problem is that since I have had the computer it has always listed in Explore a C, D, and E drive. Physically of course there is only one hard drive in my machine, but is there anyway in which I can bring them altogether so that they just make a bigger C drive?

Cheers for any help you can give

Relevancy 86.43%

Hi there,
 I have a problem in my 500GB external hard drive,,,most of the files is not seen but while doing the scan it counts and name of the files is shown while scanning by antivirus,, the first .trash folder was shown,,know $AVG is shown one of the drives  the others trashes folder is seen. 
Is there a solution for that,
with best regards. 

A:most of the files in my external hard drive is not seen,,

It is possible the folders have been hidden, there are some virus's that will do this. Do you know how to enable show hidden files?

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

After doing those steps, look on the drive again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526671/most-of-the-files-in-my-external-hard-drive-is-not-seen/
Relevancy 86.43%

We had an external hard drive hooked up to our last computer that automatically backed up everything once a week. My dad was trying to copy the files from the hard drive (which was from an XP) to the windows 7. He says he doesn't understand the formatting of Windows 7 and wanted me to figure it out, but I'm not the best at computers and figure this would be easier. He apparently doesn't know how to access the file of the hard drive from the computer to copy the files. I'm afraid that some of the viruses that made our last computer crash will end up on our new computer so I don't want to just plug it in and look around ( I'll let him do that so he can't blame me)

Sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but thanks for any help you can give!

A:Getting files off external hard drive

Hey, and welcome to the forums! From what I understand, you're going to open up files, from a Windows XP PC to a Windows 7 PC? Well, that shouldn't be a problem, and it should work, as long as nothing is manually deleted. Am I correct, thats what you and your dad are trying to do?
Edit: @whs, I just figured he would have used a 3rd party program to update auto, but that makes sense. +1

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/68649-getting-files-off-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 86.43%

hi the last time I checked on those file was yesterday when I added a from files drive external hard gone new file to a GB folder on my external hard disk and now when I wanted one of them I found only few files left almost GB left out of all I files gone from external hard drive can t believe I accidentally deleted all that mostly that it s more than a sub folder that was gone I read many articles related to undelete though but they all won t work because - some of them need a software to be installed from the start before the files were gone and I didn t have that - one article said that pc shouldn t be turned of in order to recover my case I did twice - that same article said that must not write onto the hd to avoid data be overwritten but I was moving files from PC to hd all morning T T I feel like it s hopeless and that my files are all gone like forever gone but I thought I should ask only so I won t regret not trying anyway thanks alot P S I m using windows bit sony vaio vpcf wfx and my external is adata superior sh GB if that would help nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

Hi there,

I need some help accessing my external hard drive, I am pretty lost. I recently switched over from Mac to PC, and so I am not that familiar with Windows 7 (which is what I am running.

I have an Iomega Prestige 1tb external and when I connect it to my desktop, it pops up under devices, so i know the computer is recognizing the drive. I just don't know how to get my files off it. When I go under properties, it says everything is functioning, and that it is windows 7 compatible. The driver also is up to date. Can anyone help? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much

A:Help getting files off my external hard drive

Hello Yobbers

do u want to delete everything is that correct ?? Or do you want to copy everything to another HDD ??

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206294-help-getting-files-off-my-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi
I recently used my WD external hard drive containing mostly movies on my TV, now when i plug it into the computer the folder is empty.
I have 'shown hidden files' and it brings up a file _MSTBKFS which contains over 2000 files with sequential file names MST0001.BUK, MST0002.BUK etc etc. each file is exactly the same size and the total of all the files would be what was originaly on the hard drive.

Any way i can convert these back to how they were or is it a case of format and start again?
I dont want to use any paid file recovery programs as i have everything backed up in some form or another i really just want to find out whats happened and if its likely to happen again.
Thanks

Relevancy 85.57%

Hello...

I just got a new laptop DELL INSPIRON 15R N5110 (i3 processor, 3GB ram, 500 GB hard disk) 2 days back... Suddenly the system started lagging and it hanged last day... When i tried 2 restart, it said there is an error in loading d hard disk... It asked me 2 boot several times... The laptop now have started making clicking noises. Its now even getting heated up also... I aint able to restart it now...

I ve my documents saved on d laptop in a separate drive... (I had partioned d drive as C and D where D is for my peronal data)

I m worried wat i must do now... I m very much concerened about the data which is present in d laptop now.. Will i be able 2 retrieve it back??? How should i repair it?

Please advice...

A:How do i back up my files when thr is an error on d system hard drive?

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

The first thing you need to do is get an external hard drive and backup all your important data to it.

Then you need to contact Dell support with a view to getting the hard drive replaced while your laptop is under warranty.

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/i...=in&l=en&s=gen

The clicking noises and overheating are sure signs that the hard drive is about to expire. You may need to change the region in the above link if I've got it wrong - I've assumed you live in India.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/191892-how-do-i-back-up-my-files-when-thr-error-d-system-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire 3410T with Windows 7 and no disk drive. I bought a portable Hitachi 320GB USB2.0 hard drive but when I try to do the back-up, Windows tries to do it automatically and in the end it fails every time. There's no instructions apart from a pic showing u to put a lead from hard drive into laptop. How do these things work? Is there a way to back-up exactly what u want? Someone please help me because I have nothing backed up.....waaah waaah lol - Thanks in advance for any assistance.

A:How do I back-up files etc onto a portable/mobile hard drive?

What do you mean by "and no disk drive". Do you mean your laptop has no Hard drive in it?

Does the Hitachi drive comes with a backup software pre-installed in it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-back-up-files-etc-onto-a-portable-mobile-hard-drive.981237/
Relevancy 85.57%

Evening all,

I've got a new Dell Latitude which is used for business. I've encrypted the hard drive using Truecrypt. I've encrypted the entire drive, not just made an encrypted container.

My question is though, if I use the windows 7 backup and restore feature, and backup the hard drive to a NAS device, in the event of the laptop being stolen, or if I choose to work with files on another computer, will the files which windows 7 backs up work?

I work in IT, so have years of experience here, however encryption is something which I am only just learning.

If the windows 7 backup and restore feature will not support this, can anyone recommend an alternative? I've looked into Acronis True Image Home 2012, however still need to evaluate this.

Thanks in advance

A:How to back up files from system encrypted hard drive?

Well, my company uses something called DataLocker. It's this encrypted drive that has a keypad on the outside unit, we have a lot of not very tech people that work at the firm, so requiring everybody go and install encryption software could get... Messy. Anyways, yeah, so no downloading stuff, just type in the password and the computer recognizes it as a normal hard drive.

Good Luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/240921-how-back-up-files-system-encrypted-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I have an external 1TB Seagate hard drive (USB Plug and Play) which is great and works nice and fast.

BUT...
When I edit photographs using my software, the hard drive is creating Cache00000001, cache0000002 etc named files for each image.
It is as if the HD has decided to create a backup of all the photos. But it doesn't back up a photo, because each file is listed as a VIDEO CD file, each approx 8Mb in size, so I have to keep deleting them all.

What is causing this? Is it the Seagate HD doing it, because I haven't chnaged or altered my software to make any back ups at all, and it is only happening since I plugged in this hard drive.
Thanks in advance.

Bilbo (aka Paul)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seagate-hard-drive-back-up-files-written.844105/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire 3410T with Windows 7 and no disk drive. I bought a portable Hitachi 320GB USB2.0 hard drive but when I try to do the back-up, Windows tries to do it automatically and in the end it fails every time. There's no instructions apart from a pic showing u to put a lead from hard drive into laptop. How do these things work? Is there a way to back-up exactly what u want? Someone please help me because I have nothing backed up.....waaah waaah lol - Thanks in advance for any assistance.

A:How do I back-up files etc onto a portable/mobile hard drive?

I have an Acer Aspire 3410T with Windows 7 and no disk driveClick to expand...

Obviously, you have a disk drive or the computer cannot run Windows 7. I assume you meant to say you have no optical drive (CD/DVD drive).

Open your Documents folder.
Hold down the Ctrl key while you tap the "A" letter on the keyboard, then the "C". This selects all files in that folder and copies them all to the computer's memory. Release the Ctrl key.
Open "Computer" on what used to be the "Start" menu. Now, they call it the Windows orb.
Double-click the external drive represented in that window. It will open and may be empty.
Now hold down the Ctrl key while you press the "V" letter on the keyboard.
The process of copying everything in the Documents folder to the external drive will start. How long it takes depends on the speed of your computer and the amount of data to be copied.

This is a simple, down-n-dirty method of backing up your Documents folder. There are many backup programs you can get that will back up your entire hard disk or just your personal files and that make the process of doing so more automated and simple for you.. Two of the more popular are Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image Home. Imaging the entire drive makes the process of recovering from a major Windows crash a simple matter of a fifteen-minute restore.

Lesson in backup: If ever at any point in time you have only one copy of any file, you no longer have a backup, regardless of what you call that media where that file is stored. Data you have only one copy of is obviously data you don't care much about. ALL storage devices fail, some sooner, some later but they ALL, ALL, ALL, WILL, WILL, WILL fail.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-back-up-files-etc-onto-a-portable-mobile-hard-drive.981236/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi there,

I won't get too deeply into the harrowing saga of how two external hard drives of mine died within days of each other. Rather, I'll just say that I would like to do a virus scan on several external hard drives (including/especially the one I just got to replace the others). In other words, I want to find out if there was a virus or something in the material that I'm putting on the hard drives that makes them die. Could this be possible? If so, how can I conduct a virus scan specifically on the external drives?

Thanks!
Sonya

A:Scanning an external hard drive for viruses? External Hard drive DRAMA!

In My Computer . . right click the external drive and select Scan with { name of AV }

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/scanning-an-external-hard-drive-for-viruses-external-hard-drive-drama-186769.html
Relevancy 85.57%

i have a slave hard drive i got from a computer that got a new hard drive just put it and the hard drive has is partitioned into two parts how do i go about getting it back into one partition.

A:partitioned slave hard drive

Howdy,

If you don't have any data on it ....you can go to Windows Disk Management and partition and format it.

Go Start then right click on My Computer then Manage and on the left Disk Management and right click on the drive in Question

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-slave-hard-drive.531362/
Relevancy 85.57%

My computer at turn on says: disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. I do not know what disk they are talking about but I tried the system recovery disk #1 and it told me the drive is not partitioned and to delete it and do I want to contunue? Please help me I want to use my computer to send my children some pictures we have not see each other for 4 years and I have not seen my grandbaby since she was born, I am using a friends computer to do this so can someone help me? thank you

A:hard drive is not partitioned how do I partition it?

what happens if you continue?

you may have an option to create the partition by using the recovery disk, then formatting and the recovery should start but all data will be lost, you'll have to start out with a new install but no docs or pics.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-is-not-partitioned-how-do-i-partition-it.471236/
Relevancy 85.57%

Am looking for opinions on a hard drive issue a hard Question a partitioned drive regarding friend of mine had She has an HP with came with a partitioned drive where the reinstall files are on the D part of the drive She started having a problem with booting up and got into a boot loop and couldn t boot into safe mode at all Than she had nothing when she tried to boot up Took it to a repair shop and they told her the hard drive was dead My question I worked on the computer and was able to boot into the recovery part of the drive reloaded the system onto the C drive and everything so far is fine Ran a scan of the drive which didn t find any problems Now if a drive dies can you boot from a partitioned part of the drive or will the entire drive be dead Am interested in hearing what you have to say about this issue Thanks And so far after being Question regarding a partitioned hard drive up and running for days straight no problems even with loading new programs on the drive nbsp

A:Question regarding a partitioned hard drive

It sounds as though that repair shop should be avoided. Other than that, if the hard drive were dead then no you shouldnt have been able to access the recovery partition either. I would find a way of making an image of the entire drive. Just incase the drive is really bad or going bad. That way you will not lose everything. Then if the drive does die then you would have the image to restore to a new hard drive thus not losing all the HP installed programs, including the OS that came with the system. A good program to use is Acronis True Image. However there is a less expensive possibility. If the drive in question is a Maxtor or a Seagate Drive, you can download free from the Seagate website Maxblast 5. This is in actuallity a lite version of Acronis True Image. It will only work properly if at least one of the drives used is a Seagate or Maxtor drive. Also it can be used to prepare the new drive, Make back up images of the entire drive (or single partitions), and restore the back up images. It can not make incremental back ups.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-regarding-a-partitioned-hard-drive.751024/
Relevancy 85.57%

I am new to Window being more familiar with the Macintosh hard 98 SE Windows Partitioned drive, I have an IBM Thinkpad with Windows SE and a partitioned hard drive The quot C partition quot is full and the quot D partition quot is barely used This occured since it is rare to partition a hard drive with a Mac and I never suspected it was partitioned until it was almost full Every time I installed a new program it automatically installed to the C partition and Partitioned hard drive, Windows 98 SE I never realized there was a problem till I got an error message that the C partition was full I have unistalled what I am sure of if I move quot My Document quot folder to the D partition will there be any problem with the applications finding it at the new location Also will I get error messages if it is moved to a new location on the D partition I have also thought about merging the drives with Partition Magic but I have never used the program before so I am a little nervous about really messing up the laptop Thanks for any thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

It was suggested in another windows forum that I place drive hard bit 64 bit a 32 partitioned on version or this at this forum to see what your answer would be They also suggested that I select the bit I have purchased a brand new computer Windows Toshiba Satellite P I am a trainer and still have to train in 32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive Microsoft Office applications and now I want to partition my new computer so that I can run all three versions on it The quick installation 32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive guide says that during the installation I have to quot select one version of operating system if prompted bit or bit quot I am leaning towards selecting bit version but am not sure if this is the correct 32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive choice Can anyone please advise what would be the correct choice Also can anyone point me to an easy instruction on how to partition the drive to enable me to run these three versions of office software Do I need to also install xp operating system with office software and vista os with software Thanks heaps

A:32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive

This question has been asked again under the title "What would you do"?

Please do not respond to this question and only respond to the conversation titled "What would you do"?

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/182056-32-bit-64-bit-version-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I am working on a comp for someone and they have a Pentium 486? with a Maxtor 4 Gig drive. The previous owner partitioned the drive into 2-2gig drives, drive C and drive D. The problem is that drive C is 80% full and drive D is 90% free.

I read the forums on partitioned hard drives and the only answer seems to be repartitioning and formatting. My question is why can't I fdisk to remove the dos logical drive in the extended dos partition, delete the extended dos partition but leave the primary partition active and intact, reboot and come up with a 4 Gig hard drive?

I will appreciate your comments and explanation.

P.S.: For those who know me from previous threads, I flashed my Bios on my old comp and lost it; brought my new one online and it worked maybe 15 minutes and stopped. I bought a new MB and powersupply and running fine, Don

Relevancy 85.57%

Hi, lately I have been experiencing some wierd problems with my computer.

I can't somehow boot into windows 2000 from my Master hard drive.

I think the problem stemmed from me downloading this game program in exe format (I know, my fault for running it).

My computer seemed fine for the first few days, as I never shut down my computer. But when I reboot my computer, one of my partitioned hard drives just seemed to disappear.

Then when I reboot again, the computer logged me into a blue background with white text saying

a corrupt file with Wininet.dlll, that it had a bad image and the checkSum was corrupt.

Can someone help me out? I would be greatly appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-is-disappearing.587349/
Relevancy 85.57%

Prior Post Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently http www techsupportforum com secu lp-please html Tetonbob suggested I post here - Please see his comments below The original Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently post is above I do not know how to address this issue with the hard drive space and partitioning I have a G internal hardrive but it is using only G G partition --- not sure why it isn't using the full Can someone help me please ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tetonbob comments Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently - Ok in reviewing these logs a couple things stand out and it's not malware PHYSICALDRIVE - ST A - GiB - partitions C is Fixed NTFS - GiB total GiB free D is Fixed NTFS - GiB total GiB free System Drive C has GiB less than free WindowsXP requires GB free space to operate efficiently So in partitioning your hdd into a GB OS partition you've not left enough headroom to operate I can see you've got some Program Files locations on C drive and some on D drive This means you're using space on both drives for applications where in the type of scenario you've been set up with nothing but the OS should be on C drive to leave it room to operate As this doesn't appear to be malware related to me I'd suggest you ask for assistance in reallocating space on your machine in the Windows XP forum This forum is for malware removal assistance Please let them know you've been here what I've offered as an explanation or post a link to this thread in your new one As full as this drive is even D is getting towards being full you may want to consider adding another hdd or an external drive for storage especially if a lot of that volume is in pictures and videos If you require assistance with that ask the folks in our Hardware section

A:Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently

You're basically going to need some partition software so that you can decrease the size of your D drive and increase the size of your C drive.

http://www.buy.com/prod/norton-parti.../20361521.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-maybe-partitioned-inefficiently-179809.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello,
I've just had a new 40 gb hard drive installed. Vaio software partitions this automatically as 7 gb for C drive and 31 gb for the D drive. I'm using XP. I would like to know if 1) I can partition it more evenly, or 2) I can install all large programs on the D drive, such as Zone Alarm, Norton Security, Word, etc. and have them work as normal. Also, if I move my photos from C to D drive, how can I change the path on the start menu My Pictures button? Thanks in advance.

A:Partitioned laptop hard drive

you can most certainly re-partition you hard-drive. you will however need third-party software in order to do so. i use a program form Powerquest, called Partition Magic v8. I have a 200Gb hdd and i used it to resize my partitions. I does take some time however, but it also depends on how big the drive is. the way i currently use my 2 partitions are C: programs + windows, D: data, music, program installations, iso files (bassically plain storage). the reason for this is if i have to reload my pc's windows i can just format the c: drive and leave all my important data and intallation files on the d: drive intact.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-laptop-hard-drive.518743/
Relevancy 85.57%

ok, i had an external hard drive plugged in while formatting my POS DELL 5150, and it partially partitioned my hard drive. Screw the data by now, I downloaded it agian. When i plug it in though, I hear the ding, or the ping, or the women moaning with pleasure, whatever sound you like to have set up, but it doesn't appear in "my computer". It shows up in the device manager, but i can't figure out if that's where I can start the hard drive off with a clean slate. WTFSID? How can I format it.

A:partially partitioned hard drive

Try this if you're using windows XP or 2k.
Right click on the "my computer" icon , choose MANAGE option.
New window cames out and in the left panel will see a "DISK MANAGEMENT' entry ( it's under the storage). Once you click on DISK MANAGEMENT in the right panel should see your external hard drive. Right click on it and choose FORMAT option.
All the stuff above applies only if in Device Manager the drive shows up without any exclamation points.
HTH

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partially-partitioned-hard-drive.212750/
Relevancy 85.57%

I am using XP, I have established the logical and primary partitions, will I lose these partitions I have made after reformatting and reinstalling XP? I am concerned because before I installed Service Pack 1, Windows only looked at my first 130 Gigs of the 200 GIG Hard drive After I reinstall, I will have to reinstall Service PAck 1 again, and I worry about that time in between
thanks for your help
Matt

Relevancy 85.57%

32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive
I have purchased a brand new computer Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite P750.

I am a trainer and still have to train in Microsoft Office applications 2003, 2007 and now 2010. I want to partition my new computer so that I can run all three versions on it.

The quick installation guide says that during the installation I have to "select one version of operating system if prompted 32 bit or 64 bit". I am leaning towards selecting 32 bit version but am not sure if this is the correct choice.
Can anyone please advise what would be the correct choice?

Also can anyone point me to an easy instruction on how to partition the drive to enable me to run these three versions of office software.

Thanks heaps

A:32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's app the first day you had your new PC.& made the Startup Repair CD.

IMO, I would go with 64 bit.

For MS Office may/may not have problems with all three installed in one OS.
You may like to post in
Microsoft Office - Windows 7 Forums

Do make your Recovery Disks.
How to use Toshiba Recovery.
How to use the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility

You can order Toshiba Recovery disks from here:
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...rification.jsp

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/182033-32-bit-64-bit-version-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi guys,

I need drivers for xp profesional, i have a hp p6205uk that runs win 7 64bit.
i have partitioned my hardrive and have xp running i checked hp website no drivers available.
Can anyone help or provide a link to download them will be most appreciated as im not sure on what to download.
hopefully this will fix graphics sound and screen seems a bit stretched.
thanks people for your time
regards
savy

A:Need drivers for xp on my partitioned hard drive

savy118, welcome to the Seven Forums.

The motherboard has the Intel G41 chipset on it and you can find all the XP drivers for it straight from Intel,

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...27&FamilyId=40

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/130210-need-drivers-xp-my-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi there.
Somewhere along the way my hard drive got partitioned, and it is causing lots of problems with my computer running properly. My C drive only has 3% of its space left, so I can't even defragment the disk. My C drive's total size is 6.53 GB and it has only 256 MB of free space left, while my D drive's total size is 21.4 GB and it has 9.45 GB of free space. I have tried getting rid of programs that I don't need in C, and I don't want to get rid of any more. I have tried moving programs from C to D, but I don't know if I am doing it right, because it just looks like it is copying them over to D instead of moving them there. What should I do to resolve this issue, please help!!!

A:OUT OF SPACE on partitioned Hard Drive!

Hi... welcome to TSG
I have tried moving programs from C to D, but I don't know if I am doing it right, because it just looks like it is copying them over to D instead of moving them thereClick to expand...

If it copies it onto your D drive, then why not simply delete the original from the C: drive?

if you drag and drop to another drive, windows will (by default) copy it there. if you want it to simply move it wthout cpoying it, then use your right-mouse button and use the cut/paste commands. when you use the cut command, it still copies it but it will automatically delete afterwards

by the way... while there is no problem moving files.... in most cases you cannot copy a program over to another drive. you will have to uninstall it and reinstal onto the D: drive

your partitions are a good setup, but your C: drive should only have windows on it, your D: drive should have everything else. when you install any programs from now on make sure that you direct the instal onto the D: drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/out-of-space-on-partitioned-hard-drive.460047/
Relevancy 85.57%

I have a 10 GB hard drive, operating system is Win 98. When my computer was upgraded, evidently they partitioned the hard drive in 2 GB sectors because it only recognizes 2 GB. How do I access the other sectors?

Relevancy 85.57%

Alright so i just got hold of a new laptop Specs -Windows XP -Intel T GHz MHz FSB MB L Advice Hard Need Partitioned My For Drive cache - GB Ram - MB NVIDIA m GS Need Advice For My Partitioned Hard Drive - GB Hard Drive So I hardly know anything about computers and the laptop i have has come with a Hard Drive already partitioned as GB Primary and Remainder Secondary GB Right So I would like some advice concerning how i should set up my computer that would best suit my needs at least concerning my hard drive For now i won t have any quot super important files or whatever quot for the short longish term future I am pretty much going to be using this laptop to learn more about computers since it s the first one i have ever had Need Advice For My Partitioned Hard Drive I will be downloading music videos movies games Need Advice For My Partitioned Hard Drive surfing the internet alot and will hopefully sometime soon start discovering programs and learning finding different uses for my computer meaning at some point start using my computer closer to it s full potential So any Tips or insight you guys can offer me nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Background Windows stop laughing - computer crashed last year - when I reinstalled XP-SP hard drive was wiped clean I was told to partition my hard drive Now I m very low on space was told I could just slide drive hard partitioned about Question programs amp files over to the empty partition to Question about partitioned hard drive free up space Tells me I can t because the program file is being accessed Question about partitioned hard drive or used by other users We are not networked but Question about partitioned hard drive everyone in family has their own windows login Responses were to purchase disk management software or add more RAM or hope I have Vista because it s easy I don t know what the point is to the partitioning could someone educate me Also I m too low on space to even scan defrag not sure I d have the space for another program Is there a way to delete the unused parition and have that free space pushed over to the active hard drive Or is my only other option to backup everything on c and reformat nbsp

A:Question about partitioned hard drive

You should be able to use a freeware partitioning tool like Gparted to repartition your drive. See How to boot from a G-Parted-Live-CD(use the instructions to download and build your own Gparted

But be cautious and do your backups first (is always wise)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-partitioned-hard-drive.132672/