Windows Support Forum

In PerfMon, what type of info does "event traces" provide?

Q: In PerfMon, what type of info does "event traces" provide?

In trying to get a solid grasp on PerfMon features, we were wondering what the best use of "event traces" would be and what is the info that it provides. Thanks.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: In PerfMon, what type of info does "event traces" provide?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: In PerfMon, what type of info does "event traces" provide?

Event traces uses the timer/information gathered from the Event Tracing for Windows subsystem (ETW). This is the same sort of information you'd get from taking traces using xperf or xbootmgr from the Windows Performance Toolkit. Not to the depth you'd get, but fairly close.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/188254-perfmon-what-type-info-does-event-traces-provide.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Ok so im new here so hey everybody to the point my laptop is quot stuttering quot lagging skipping whatever you wanna call it its doing it my video music and cursor skip every second for a splt second it starts on start-up and dont stop til i turn my laptop off it happens in a pattern its not random ive done checked my drivers spyware and m RAM is good so can someone please help me could it be because my battery wont hold a charger so it has to be hooked up to the charger at ALL times or it dies Example is the charger not got the quot juice quot to run the laptop by itself so it studders skips i dont know if this has report viewer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" Whole Solved: (PLEASE computer .. event have anything to do with my problem but i ran quot event viewer quot and found this The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Cdrom Imapi redbook PLEASE HELP OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Genuine Intel R CPU Solved: Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE T GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R GM Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc FF HWPLLB CN S Antivirus McAfee VirusScan Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Disable nbsp

A:Solved: Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-whole-computer-studders-skips-lags-have-event-viewer-report-please.981934/
Relevancy 96.32%

Ok so im new here so hey everybody to the point my laptop is quot stuttering quot lagging skipping whatever you wanna call it its doing it my video music report (PLEASE event have HELP) Whole .. viewer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" computer and cursor skip every second for a splt second it starts on start-up and dont stop til i turn my laptop off it happens in a pattern its not random ive done checked my Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE HELP) drivers spyware and m RAM is good so can someone please help me could it be because my battery wont hold a charger so it has to be hooked up to the charger at ALL times or it dies Example is the charger not got the quot juice quot to run the laptop by itself so it studders skips i dont know if this has anything to do with my problem but i ran quot event viewer quot and found this The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Cdrom Imapi redbook PLEASE HELP nbsp

A:Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE HELP)

**(DONT KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP..)***

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 502 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 39723 MB, Free - 23484 MB; D: Total - 12684 MB, Free - 3633 MB;

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/whole-computer-studders-skips-lags-have-event-viewer-report-please-help.981932/
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi All.

I'm running Windows 8.1 (standard/ home edition) and can't download a couple .exe files. I get "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder". errors. I'm the only user on this computer and have administrator access.

The file resides on mediafire and via my ipad I was able to manage to transfer it to dropbox, but I still get the same error. The filename (partial) is created but no further downloading is done.

I can't take ownership of the file-- it doesn't exist on my computer yet.
I can't change the local security policy (I understand this is only available in Win 8 Pro version).
UAC is already disabled as much as I can figure (via the slider set to never notify).

Short of setting up a super admin account (would this even work?), can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

thanks in advance,

Frank

A:Can't download exe file-- ""You'll need to provide admin"

Where are you trying to download to? What is the full path?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/47827-cant-download-exe-file-youll-need-provide-admin.html
Relevancy 89.87%

One feature I really liked in XP was the ability to look in a folder through My Computer and sort the files by extension. For example if I wanted to get all .jpg files to one side of the folder as I looked for a file, I could click View, Arrange Icons By, Type and make that happen. I don't see that feature in Windows 7. I'm using W7Pro and can't find that or a similar feature anywhere. Is it here and I just haven't found it? TIA

A:Where is "VIEW", "ARRANGE ICONS BY", "TYPE"

open a window ,click organise/layout /menubar.
then when you click view in the menu bar group by is in the list

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/226740-where-view-arrange-icons-type.html
Relevancy 89.44%

whenever i clicked on a large video file in explorer (running xp sp2 on inspiron 6000), explorer would crash. i found a tip online to run "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" and that fixed the problem completely.

however, this fix created a new problem - - now all the info that used to be under "artist" or "album" is gone! any fix? "date modified" is still there, but i like to sort my mp3 folders by artist, and now it does me no good.

by the way, when i now click on an mp3's properties, summary tab, and go to advanced, all the artist/album info is missing from there too.

from doing a search, i see that the way to undo the original fix is to run "regsvr32 shmedia.dll", but then i think i will have errors with large avi's.

so, any other fix?

A:Solved: "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" helped, but removed "artists/album" info

Greetings daverose808

Download the Attached File 'AudioProps.rar'> Unzip it > Right Click on "AudioProps.reg" > Choose "MERGE"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-regsvr32-u-shmedia-dll-helped-but-removed-artists-album-info.696647/
Relevancy 89.01%

Here is my hijack log file Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on - - Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgserv exe C WINDOWS System "search help pleas "http://4bf65.ilxt.info" Hijacked, for" DRIVERS CDANTSRV EXE C WINDOWS System inetsrv inetinfo exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System snmp exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS System mqsvc exe C WINDOWS System mqtgsvc exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exe C PROGRA Logitech MOUSEW SYSTEM EM EXEC EXE C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files Hijacked, pleas help "search for" "http://4bf65.ilxt.info" Winamp Winampa exe C PROGRA GUITAR uninstall exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync WCESCOMM EXE C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe C Program Files Plextor PlexTool exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Tools Binn sqlmangr exe C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zonealarm exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE C WINDOWS Hijacked, pleas help "search for" "http://4bf65.ilxt.info" System wuauclt exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files TextPad TextPad exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C HijackThis hijackthis exe R Hijacked, pleas help "search for" "http://4bf65.ilxt.info" - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main HomeOldSP about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main HomeOldSP about blank O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - D CE -B - C -AEC -E AB - C WINDOWS System ahh dll O - BHO no name - E F - - D - F B- D B D - no file O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS System NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE O - HKLM Run zBrowser Launcher C Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exe O - HKLM Run EM EXEC C PROGRA Logitech MOUSEW SYSTEM EM EXEC EXE O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINDOWS System NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run hpppta C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP PrecisionScan PrecisionScan Pro hpppta exe ICON O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run MsmqIntCert regsvr s mqrt dll O - HKLM Run WinampAgent quot C Program Files Winamp Winampa exe quot O - HKLM Run uninstall C PROGRA GUITAR uninstall exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quo... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hijacked-pleas-help-search-for-http-4bf65-ilxt-info.274768/
Relevancy 88.58%

I'm getting seemingly random blue screens on a regular basis. Blue Screen View blames ntoskrnl.exe, so make of that what you will.

I no good at computer

Installed 3 weeks ago, when the system was built. I didn't build it, the guys I ordered it from did (hardwareversand)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Random BSOD, "Unknown Device" error in perfmon

About 1/3 of these crashes are blamed on memory corruption directly. Some of the others indirectly.

These crashes were caused by memory corruption (probably a driver). Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!
1-Memtest.

Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+

2-Driver verifier

Quote:
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable
Further Reading
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/208271-random-bsod-unknown-device-error-perfmon.html
Relevancy 88.58%

OK guys, im kinda new to this forum, so... hello.
My computer has a not so serious problem-When I try to open Local Disk C by double clicking it says:
"
Windows cannot find install.exe.
This program is needed for opening filed of type 'File'.

Type in the executable file to be used instead:

This problem isnt very serious, I just dont want my computer to remain "corrupt" if you know what I mean.

Help my and I will be grateful!

A:Cant open C:/:"Install.exe is needed for opening type of "file""

Hello and Welcome to TSF

Have you scanned your system for viruses lately? What antivirus program is installed on your system?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-c-install-exe-is-needed-for-opening-type-of-file-90046.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello All I started a few weeks ago on the PowerShell programing and I got my answer from here only So am putting up the error that I am getting now to issue "System.Int32") PowerShell value convert "and" type ('Cannot to get some help again Scenario I wrote a script that checks a Folder on a server and counts the number of files in it Then when it finds the resulting number to be more then a specific value threshold it sends up a mail to the required alias To break it all along the portion to PowerShell issue ('Cannot convert value "and" to type "System.Int32") send a mail is generated through DBmail using another PS file In the PS file containing the main checking of number of files I am trying to pass parameters Folder path on the server the Threshold value of number of files Now when I created a job to run this powershell script as amp quot C PowerShell Power PS quot XXXX c Documents and Settings ABC Local Settings Temp IT fails with the error A job step received an error at line in a PowerShell script The corresponding line is ' amp quot C PowerShell Power ps quot XXXX c Documents and Settings ABC Local Settings Temp ' Correct the script and reschedule the job The error information returned by PowerShell is 'Cannot convert value quot and quot to type quot System Int quot Error quot Input string was not in a correct format PowerShell issue ('Cannot convert value "and" to type "System.Int32") quot ' Process Exit Code - The step failed I really can not move forward on this Please help

A:PowerShell issue ('Cannot convert value "and" to type "System.Int32")

Just to add for reference Below is the code for the Power.Ps1 file that I have used :

param
(

[string] $directory_string,
[int] $benchmark

)

$date=get-date
[int]$directory_file_count = 0

# check that the directory exists.
$does_directory_exist = (Test-Path $directory_string)

# if it does, then continue
if ($does_directory_exist)
{

# Check for the number of files on the directory
$directory_file_count = (get-childitem $directory_string -name -recurse).count

# If number of files exceeds the limit, send mail to notify

if($directory_file_count -gt $benchmark)
{
& "C:\Powershell\DB_mail.ps1"
$subject= "XXXX"
$body= "XXXX"

}

else

{
$subject= "XXXX"
$body= "XXXX "
}

}
else
{
$subject = "XXXX"
$body = " XXXX"
}

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286369-powershell-issue-cannot-convert-value-type-system-int32.html
Relevancy 88.15%

whenever i clicked on a large video file in explorer (running xp sp2 on inspiron 6000), explorer would crash. i found a tip online to run "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" and that fixed the problem completely.

however, this fix created a new problem - - now all the info that used to be under "Audio" or "video" is gone! any fix? "date modified" is still there, but i like to sort my video folders by artist, and now it does me no good.

by the way, when i now click on an avi's properties, summary tab, and go to advanced, all the needed info is missing from there too.

from doing a search, i see that the way to undo the original fix is to run "regsvr32 shmedia.dll", but then i think i will have errors with large avi's.

so, any other fix?

A:"regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" helped, but removed "video" info

no one can help me? Pl;ease.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/regsvr32-u-shmedia-dll-helped-but-removed-video-info.757428/
Relevancy 86.86%

my boss only know how to use google chrome, and he usually save websites in his own document library, and he always use "right click mouse > save as" to open his own document library directory, and sometimes he will save some pdf, but when he tries to open an pdf file through google chrome with right click > save as, he can only see file with html extension. any one can help to add "all files" in the drop-down menu next to "Save as type" in google chrome, so he can see all files types when he right click > save as through the google chrome browser.

Thks in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/384975-add-all-files-save-type-google-chrome.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I'm trying to find the settings called "ModemRingOn" and "PME Wake Up Event" both in bios but i can't find them.

Does anyone know where they are? Like under what options in bios?

A:Where are "ModemRingOn" and "PME Wake Up Event" located in bios?

They may not be there at all. If the modem is built into the board, maybe.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/where-are-modemringon-and-pme-wake-up-event-located-in-bios.789506/
Relevancy 86.86%

I'm trying to find the settings called "ModemRingOn" and "PME Wake Up Event" both in bios but i can't find them.

Does anyone know where they are? Like under what options in bios?

A:Where are "ModemRingOn" and "PME Wake Up Event" located in bios?

BIOS's vary widely; there is no standard features that are included. It's possible your BIOS has neither of them.

If these are features you are interested in exist, the first thing to do is to check the motherboard manufacturer's web site's "support" page, and find out what the latest version of BIOS is available for your motherboard, compare that to what you actually have on your motherboard, and then read the change log to see if possible these features were added.

You can also research these features by Googling the text "ModemRingOn" and the model number of your motherboard "GA-XYZ123" in the same search, in order to filter hits that are limited to those that include references to both of these qualities. Look for forum posts, and other technical sites & information.

Also, look for the User Manual for your motherboard on-line. Sometimes these include information on the BIOS of the motherboard.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/where-are-modemringon-and-pme-wake-up-event-located-in-bios-334129.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Dear techguys,

I am bashing my head and getting nowhere with windows 7....

I have 3 users; a, b, and c (say)

and administrator; z (say)

when logged into z, I want to copy the folder of user 'a' but when I try to do this it comes up with ...

"you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folder"

But...whatever I try and do it will not allow me to copy the folder in question.

I have not found an answer so far, so wonder if anyone here has the knowledge to help solve what is proving problematic to crack.

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards,

mike

A:"you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folder" - please help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/youll-need-to-provide-administrator-permission-to-copy-this-folder-please-help.991743/
Relevancy 85.57%

I just received my laptop with Windows installed After beating my head against the wall all morning I think I ve come to the conclusion that it s the home version permission" version) administrator to "need provide (home not the pro version I m trying to install some of my favorite applications but it seems that every time I make the simplest modification I get an error along the lines of quot You ll need to provide administrator permission to quot I m always able to provide the permission since I m the administrator but it s getting really old "need to provide administrator permission" (home version) and a few installs have failed likely due to this over-protective policy I did some searching around the web and the common solution is to make an edit "need to provide administrator permission" (home version) in the Local Security Policy Editor However it appears that my machine doesn t HAVE this editor This is why I m guessing I have the amp version I mean the home version Is there a way that I can stop Microsoft from protecting me from myself I m this close to just formatting the drive and dropping Win on there but I dragged my heels so long with WinXP and I d like to stay current if I can Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Hello
I am new to Microsoft Message Analyzer and just downloaded version 1.4 and installed on my Windows 10 laptop
I saved my Windows System Event log as an .evtx file to have some data to start looking at. I note the column entitled 'summary' appears to show the body of the event message. However I see many rows which state "unable to retrieve the event description"
in this column, what do I need to do to fix this issues please? could it of been the way that I saved the .evtx file in the first instance (I accepted the defaults) or do I need to install some additional files/components so the messages are displayed
correctly?

Thanks all
Ernest

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a02a5fbb-39e8-4998-8b8d-ec30abd458a0/when-viewing-system-event-log-evtx-file-many-events-show-quotunable-to-retrieve-the-event?forum=messageanalyzer
Relevancy 85.57%

Event Log Explorer A tool to help Manage Analyze and Report Windows Event Logs For Windows NT XP operating systems This is a simple quot starter quot guide to help use this tool Note this tool will only work on Windows NT XP It will not work with Windows Vista Download and run Event Log Explorer One time initialization Click Tree- gt Show Tree Click File- gt New Workspace Click File- gt Save Workspace As and save your workspace file anywhere you choose Example To Filter View Export Recent Error and Warning Log Events Open an Event Log gt gt e g Typically you only need look at the System Log for System event records and the Application Log for Application related events Filter the events you want to see for this example we filter to only see Non-Information events that occured in the last days gt gt Click View- gt Filter gt gt Uncheck Information Towards the bottom of the filter window look for Display event for the last enter days Click OK Click File- gt Export Log to save a "Event Event Windows Logs helps Log on your tool Explorer" manage/analyze/report copy of the events for later viewing or sending to others gt gt Check Text file All events Event Description gt gt Uncheck Export Event Data gt gt Check Close dialog "Event Log Explorer" tool helps manage/analyze/report on your Windows Event Logs when done Click Export and save as a txt file on your Desktop Help Troubleshooting an Event Double click an event to see the quot Event Description quot which provides more detail about the event Click Event ID Database button for "Event Log Explorer" tool helps manage/analyze/report on your Windows Event Logs an web page about the event to get general explanation additional information about the Event Look for and click hyperlinks in the Event ID web page for user comments on the "Event Log Explorer" tool helps manage/analyze/report on your Windows Event Logs event You may note that some additional automated help is available via subscription service I ve never tried using the subscription service myself I think what s available for free from the tool plus a little manual internet surfing will likely get all the same information nbsp

A:"Event Log Explorer" tool helps manage/analyze/report on your Windows Event Logs

I use the subscription to EventID.net. It has been greatly helpful. I don't have this analyser but am a big believer in using the Event Viewer. I'll add a description I have written up which will help in determining the Events: This may be useful in addition to the Event Analyzer.

One thing I have not been able to do is keep the filters set with the software in the OS.

Find the Error(s)in the Event Viewer that correspond to the crash/freeze/error message/blue screen, etc.:

Description of the Event Viewer:

Unfortunately, many Windows XP users aren't aware of the Event Viewer, what it is, where it is, how it can help with a problem:
The Event Viewer has logs for everything that happens on the computer. There are three sets of logs: System, Applications and Security. By opening the first two to display the Events, you can look for Errors that correspond to the time of the problem- in your case, the crash.

There are three types of Events in the System and Apps logs:
1. Information (white circle w/blue i): this is just basic documentation of the normal working of the System or Apps.
2. Warnings (yellow triangle w/black exclamation mark) noting some problem at that moment. Warnings usually resolve on their own. If they do not, they become>>>
3. Errors (red circle w/white X- they document something that didn't work or isn't happening as it should. Each Errors has three parts: an ID#, a Source and a Description. By doing a right click> Properties, the Error will open to a screen that can be copied. These three parts taken together can usually lead to cause and resolution.Click to expand...

Start> Run> type in eventvwr
Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)

You can ignore the Categories 1 and 2. If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed. You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
Vista path can be followed here: (Copy button is on lower left)
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Monitoring-Event-Logs-Windows-Vista.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/event-log-explorer-tool-helps-manage-analyze-report-on-your-windows-event-logs.130078/
Relevancy 84.71%

I have had a strange problem.
Occasionally after switching to the lock screen(Win + L), I am not able to type the letter "O" or "L".
If my password contains either one of these letters, I am not able to log in unless I use the onscreen keyboard.

Anyone has encountered similar problem or found a solution?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/15170-cannot-type-letter-o-l-after-switching-lockscr.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello everyone i ve just become a new member of this forum i m not exactly a computer wizard so i hope somebody can help me my computer runs on Windows ME everytime i start up IE I get the same page quot about me help = "4bf65.ilxt.info" "about.blank" + ! blank quot followed by a pop-up quot bf ilxt info quot that says i have a spyware-problem and "about.blank" + "4bf65.ilxt.info" = help me ! need to download a kind of program i got suspicious and didn t do that instead i started looking on google what links i could find about quot about blank quot and quot bf ilxt info quot this is my HJT-log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows ME Win x MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS SYSTEM KERNEL DLL C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSGSRV EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM mmtask tsk C WINDOWS SYSTEM MPREXE EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSTASK EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM MDM EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM SSDPSRV EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM STIMON EXE C PROGRAM FILES NETWORK ASSOCIATES MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN VSHWIN EXE C PROGRAM FILES NETWORK ASSOCIATES MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN WEBSCANX EXE C PROGRAM FILES NETWORK ASSOCIATES MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN VSSTAT EXE C WINDOWS EXPLORER EXE C WINDOWS TASKMON EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM SYSTRAY EXE C PROGRAM FILES COMPAQ EASY ACCESS BUTTON SUPPORT CPQEADM EXE C COMPAQ CPQINET CPQINET EXE C PROGRAM FILES COMPAQ DIGITAL DASHBOARD DEVGULP EXE C CPQS BWTOOLS SCCENTER EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM HIDSERV EXE C PROGRAM FILES NETWORK ASSOCIATES MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN AVCONSOL EXE C WINDOWS LOADQM EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM QTTASK EXE C PROGRAM FILES COMPAQ EASY ACCESS BUTTON SUPPORT BTTNSERV EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM RESTORE STMGR EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM WMIEXE EXE C PROGRAM FILES MSN APPS UPDATER NL-BE MSNAPPAU EXE C PROGRAM FILES ADAPTEC EASY CD CREATOR CREATECD CREATECD EXE C WINDOWS RunDLL exe C PROGRAM FILES SPYWARE DOCTOR SPYDOCTOR EXE C PROGRAM FILES COMPAQ EASY ACCESS BUTTON SUPPORT EAUSBKBD EXE C PROGRAM FILES MICROSOFT OFFICE OFFICE MSOFFICE EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM PSTORES EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM SPOOL EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM DDHELP EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM HPZSTATX EXE C PROGRAM FILES HIJACKTHIS EXE R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar file C WINDOWS TEMP sp html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page file C WINDOWS TEMP sp html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar file C WINDOWS TEMP sp html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page file C WINDOWS TEMP sp html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant file C WINDOWS TEMP sp html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant file C WINDOWS TEMP sp html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main HomeOldSP about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main HomeOldSP about blank R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName Koppelingen F - win ini run hpfsched O - BHO MSNToolBandBHO - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C PROGRAM FILES MSN APPS MSN TOOLBAR NL-BE MSNTB DLL O - BHO ST - EDE -C B - E- - BF AF E - C Program Files MSN Apps ST en-xu stmain dll O - BHO no name - A A-C - - - B B ACC - C WINDOWS SYSTEM LJPHPA DLL O - Toolbar msdxmLC dll email protected amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSDXM OCX O - Toolbar MSN - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C PROGRAM FILES MSN APPS MSN TOOLBAR NL-BE MSNTB DLL O - Toolbar no name - D D -F E - ad- A - ECE AC - no file O - HKLM Run ScanRegistry C WINDOWS scanregw exe autorun O - HKLM Run TaskMonitor C WINDOWS taskmon exe O - HKLM Run PCHealth C WINDOWS PCHealth Support PCHSchd exe -s O - HKLM Run SystemTray SysTray Exe O - HKLM Run LoadPowerProfile Rundll exe powrprof dll LoadCurrentPwrScheme O - HKLM Run Hidserv Hidserv exe run O - HKLM Run CPQEASYACC C Program Files Compaq Easy Access Button Support cpqeadm exe O - HKLM Run EACLEAN C Program Files Compaq Easy Access Button Support eaclean exe O - HKLM Run CPQInet c compaq CPQInet CpqInet exe O - HKLM Run... Read more

A:"about.blank" + "4bf65.ilxt.info" = help me !

is there anybody out there who can help? thanks !

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/about-blank-4bf65-ilxt-info-help-me.263379/
Relevancy 84.28%

Help! Each time hit " " key Redirect.ocx pops up. Launches aol.com and itunes. Using " "indo" "s Vista. HP Pavillion Media Center M8100N

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/redirect-ocx-hen-type-key-cant-type-or-launches.884051/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi I recently made some upgrades 11" hangs, "atapi Event ID Event in Viewer Frequent system to a previously fine PC - they were - Installing GB extra RAM of the same variety - Reinstalling windows on a new SSD a Samsung SSD EVO GB I previously also upgraded to Windows but a bunch of blue screens and Frequent system hangs, "atapi Event ID 11" in Event Viewer other issues later I reinstalled I'm still having problems though - the current symptoms are that every so often - times a day the computer will hang for - minutes on the 'starting windows' screen When it finally loads it will often hang for further extended periods before settling down I checked in these event log and during these periods there will be many 'atapi' errors with Event ID quot The driver detected a controller error on Device Ide IdePort quot I have attached a screenshot There will sometimes be other errors usually relating to the timeout of certain things but the previously mentioned error is by far the most prolific On rare occasions there have been more serious errors - never blue screens since going back to windows but once I booted to a black screen with just a mouse was able to shut down via task manager then following a restart seemed ok Through some investigation it does seem to be that the root cause of the problem is the SSD I identified this a while ago and have tried various fixes including Ensuring my Motherboard a M A LT-M SATA ports are configured in AHCI mode they were previously IDE This also led me to completely re-installing windows in an effort to make sure the correct drivers were installed though more on those drivers in a second Updating my motherboard's BIOS Running MemTest to check my RAM wasn't causing the problem Changing the SATA cable and port of my SSD Updating various drivers from ASUSTeK Computer Inc -Support- Drivers and Download M A LT-M for my motherboard including the chipset I saw another driver for quot AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller Driver V quot but when I try and updating this windows just says that the most up to date driver is already installed I've also tried running various checks for disk errors including the Windows built-in drive checker and HD tune pro I just tried unplugging my DVD drive as well which is the only other thing connected to the SATA ports On a side note I do not have the Gb s SATA ports only Gb s SATA though I don't see why this should be a problem I've of course looked online and have found many people with similar issues but often they seem unresolved or their fixes unfortunately don't work for me Any help would be massively appreciated as this has been plaguing me for weeks

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/380152-frequent-system-hangs-atapi-event-id-11-event-viewer.html
Relevancy 83.42%

There is a Lanier LD117 Printer recently installed in the office, which is connected to the network, to be used by the two computers in the office (both are Windows 7 equipped). However, the printer shows "offline" on the computers when the printer
is on.
Secondly, the printer says there is a paper type/size mismatch. After changing the printer (and the computer) settings to the correct ones, the printer still says its mismatched. And the confusing thing is if you select FormFeed manually on the printer,
the documents that are waiting will print anyways, even though it says it cant and even though the computers say its offline.

How can I reset the system so the documents will print automatically upon command via the two computers?

Thanks!

Jacob

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d979e9e1-c24c-4d45-bf3c-25411a29c60c/printer-says-quotofflinequot-and-quotmismatch-paper-sizetype?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 81.7%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 80.84%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Can we still expect a best on Windows Microsoft experience Should Satya Nadella provide a candid update to the strategy quot On January Satya Nadella promised a quot Best on Windows quot Microsoft experience Though there has been progress toward this goal in the year since the launch of Windows we are yet to attain that goal We are waiting as Microsoft populates other platforms with Microsoft apps and we see other developers never supporting or leaving on on Best Should Windows provide strategy? on "Best Nadella Satya - the a candid Windows" update the platform Mobile market share has dipped to in an expected decline since the firm's mobile retrenchment Still for a critical component of the UWP is not encouraging So as Microsoft invests in other platforms amidst these challenges do fans feel that Best on Windows - Should Satya Nadella provide a candid update on the "Best on Windows" strategy? Nadella should provide sort of a quot State of the the Ecosystem quot address directly referencing the status progress and challenges to the Best on Windows strategy Let's discuss this here and on Twitter BestOnWindows JLTechWord SatyaNadella Can we still expect a quot best on Windows quot Best on Windows - Should Satya Nadella provide a candid update on the "Best on Windows" strategy? Microsoft experience Windows Best on Windows - Should Satya Nadella provide a candid update on the "Best on Windows" strategy? Central Further Context Below One weakness that seems to have plagued Microsoft for many years is poor communication This is not only true of my perception of their marketing in comparison to that of Apple and Samsung I think it is also true in how they communicate or fail to communicate to their current and potential fans I've heard the concerns of Microsoft's core supports and share some of them myself Some of these can be addressed by providing information that someone less plugged into the pulse of the industry may have missed Other concerns are best or only addressed satisfactorily by Microsoft Would Nadella candidly meeting users where they are with a direct address to the status and challenges of the quot best on Windows quot strategy be helpful Is there a middle ground that can be bridged for fans who have championed the platform amid plunging market share app exoduses and a deluge of negative press that has declared the death of their beloved platform Admittedly as they have waited for the manifestation of the quot best on Windows quot experience encouraging progress has been made toward ambitious goals such as Nadella's vision of an all-encompassing cloud-based platform Microsoft has a unique ability to harmonize the world's devices apps docs data and social networks in digital work and life experiences so that people are at the center and are empowered to do more and achieve more with what is becoming an increasingly scarce commodity time Though by no means complete Microsoft's platform approach strategy has seen celebrated success in the cloud and its cross-platform endeavors That said I am confident that Microsoft is forging forward with a quot best on Windows quot strategy I understand as many fans do the complexity and challenges involved in the process The platform though obviously moving forward has a perception problem Still Windows phone is losing support from fans Developer support of the UWP is underwhelming The goal for one billion Windows installs has been pushed out to some undetermined point Apps are leaving the platform seemingly as fast as they roll in And many users perceive that Microsoft has a greater interest in rival platforms than their own The platform though obviously moving forward in many respects has a perception problem Moreover many mobile consumers who enjoy Microsoft apps on iOS and Android are woefully unaware that quot best on Windows quot is even a goal We are perhaps at a critical junction in Microsoft's history where their unprecedented ambition a... Read more

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/438466-best-windows-should-satya-nadella-provide-candid-update-best-windows-strategy.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Evening,
Moving the cdrom/cd-rw/3.5 drive around. Some how the "A" drive is running constantly, and the error message reads:

"Incorrect Drive "A" type, select F1 to see error messages.

Going into the BIOS I see nothing to indicate my problem.

The only think I can think is that I've twisted the IDE cable, but the nr. 1 pin is closest to the power plug. on the floppy drive.

This is a Gateway 500 PIII, Win98SE, can some one help. TIA

Bob

Relevancy 76.97%

My office just upgraded and I can no longer use Windows XP On this system I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists Each task on each taskbar was represented with a big custom icon to save eye strain I had them installed in opposite vertical margins and they "Launchpads", to "Toolbars" for "Docks" (MSese "TASKBARS" NOT add Need were set on auto-hide to keep them out of the way when not being used Just move your mouse pointer to the left or right margin and BAM Sorry for the cliche but I really got used to the convenience of what I had set up and I just don't think I Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars" can be as efficient without anything comparable Now there appears to be nothing comparable in the Windows GUI and it's making me sick with rage I see only the option to put a quot toolbar quot on an existing quot taskbar quot and no option to create any additional taskbars This cramps up your one-and-only taskbar plus the tiny toolbar access buttons require way too much precision for anything that's supposed to be quick When you've figured out how to bring up that ridiculous button the list that it yields is small enough to cause painful eyestrain - nothing efficient much less cool about this at all I have seen customization options in other OS GUIs that may have resolved some of these issues but I see none such in W I have tried every google search string that I can think of and found no answer that deals with anything other than adding that stupid toolbar to the only taskbar that Microsoft will allow you in W So If I'm wrong and have missed some options how do I access them Otherwise I'm hoping there are developers who know what I am talking about and have software to enable the creation of separate taskbars launchpads Can anybody help with either

A:Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"

Several possibilities here: Second taskbar in windows7? [Solved] - Windows 7 - Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306313-need-add-taskbars-msese-launchpads-docks-not-toolbars.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi,

When our website users click on an html attachment embedded on a web-page in IE9, the download manager will not display the "Open" option. It will only display "Save" and "Cancel" which our users don't like, having to save the
html document in a folder to open it. Whereas, when downloading attachments like pdf, word etc. all three options are displayed. 

Is there any setting to tweak , which will display all the 3 options for HTML attachments as well?

A:IE9 download manager will not display "Open" option (only "Save" and "Cancel" is displayed) for downloading HTML documents.

Hi,
As you know, the Open-Save-Cancel dialog box helps you prevent your computer from affecting by virus while downloading. 
So I suggest you test to reset all zones to a lower level temporarily and then please attempt to download this html attachment again.

However, since you can normally download the other documents, I suspect there is some restriction in the website which you are trying to view. I recommend you to contact the administrator of that website if possible.
could you please send me the link of the website from where you are trying to download the html attachment?
Thanks!

We
are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this
interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3094ac49-8d49-4a60-a7cf-fb12c823e500/ie9-download-manager-will-not-display-quotopenquot-option-only-quotsavequot-and?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 76.54%

I am infected with this crap and have used the following tools to try to get rid of it Windows Defender Unible PowerSuite SpeedUpMyPC Registry Booster amp Spyware Protector and Norton's - "Error Worm-Popups-The Icons Netsky Cleaner" Protector" "Spyware..." Three "Privacy One Button Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..." Checkup and WinDoctor Not sure if it's related but my DISPLAY is locked at X Atempted the Step Process before posting and Panda ActiveScan froze and crashed after scanning files but not before identifying spyware files Here's my extra txt log from Deckard's Deckard's System Scanner v Extra logfile - please post Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..." this as an attachment with your post -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Information ---------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition build SP Architecture X Language English CPU Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz Percentage of Memory in Use Physical Memory total avail MiB MiB Pagefile Memory total avail MiB MiB Virtual Memory total avail MiB MiB A is Removable No Media C is Fixed NTFS - GiB total GiB free D is CDROM CDFS PHYSICALDRIVE - ST A - GiB - partition PARTITION - Unknown - MiB PARTITION bootable - Installable File System - GiB - C -- Security Center ------------------------------------------------------------- AUOptions is scheduled to auto-install Windows Internal Firewall is disabled AntiVirusDisableNotify is set FirewallDisableNotify is set FW Norton Internet Security v Symantec Corporation AV Norton Internet Security v Symantec Corporation HKLM System CurrentControlSet Services SharedAccess Parameters FirewallPolicy DomainProfile AuthorizedApplications List quot windir system sessmgr exe quot quot windir system sessmgr exe enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe Enabled Logitech Harmony Remote Software quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe Enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe Enabled Logitech Desktop Messenger quot HKLM System CurrentControlSet Services SharedAccess Parameters FirewallPolicy StandardProfile AuthorizedApplications List quot windir system sessmgr exe quot quot windir system sessmgr exe enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE quot quot C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE Enabled LEXPPS EXE quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe Enabled Logitech Harmony Remote Software quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe Enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe Enabled Logitech Desktop Messenger quot quot C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe quot quot C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe Enabled LimeWire quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe Enabled Yahoo Messenger quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YServer exe quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YServer exe Enabled Yahoo FT Server quot quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe Enabled Windows Messenger quot quot C Program Files Veoh Networks Veoh VeohCli... Read more

A:Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..."

Bump.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/netsky-worm-popups-the-three-icons-error-cleaner-privacy-protector-spyware-207223.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I double-click and get "search" instead of "open"--only when I click a disk, like Hard Drive C: or Floppy A: or CD F: and so on.

It didn't used to do this, so I must've inadvertently changed some setting somewhere, but darned if I can find it now.

Any ideas?

A:Solved: On the "my computer" list, I double-click on disks and get "search" instead of "open"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-on-the-my-computer-list-i-double-click-on-disks-and-get-search-instead-of-open.407035/
Relevancy 75.68%

when i open Partition Magic 8 i see my Maxtor 6Y120P0 drive in a yellow color and the file system marked as "other":

but my Windows 2000 Disk Management shows healty:
under windows i can read and write to the partition, so what is wrong? what does Partition Magic wants?

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

A:partition magic shows partition type as "other", windows shows "healthy"

Quote from Symantec:
There are currently no versions of PartitionMagic that support Windows® 2000 dynamic drives.Click to expand...
moper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-magic-shows-partition-type-as-other-windows-shows-healthy.399582/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello, I am running an Acer Aspire using Vista Home Premium 32bit, and I have a problem that when I try to type a question mark into MS Word, the result is an ?. Upon further inspection of my keyboard, I have noticed that when I try to type a few more other keys, various letters with accents appear. Example, when I press the apostrophe key, this character appears: ?.

My keyboard is bilingual with the French characters in green, while the English characters are in white, and the Fn characters are in blue.

All of my characters (ie. question mark) can type fine on internet browsers and on messengers, however it is just the MS Word that is having a problem with it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

A:Can't type a "?" in MS Word, comes up as a "É"

In the bottom right in the language bar you can change the language back to "US English"

It changes on its own sometimes. Have no idea why.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/228955-cant-type-ms-word-comes-up.html
Relevancy 75.25%

This pop up open my internet navigator all the time and it always comes back...

Can someone help me?

Please use simple english I come from Belgium...

Thank you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pop-ups-ads-k8l-info-top-banners-com.661329/
Relevancy 75.25%

This pop up open my internet navigator all the time and it always come back...

Can someone help me?

Please use simple english I come from Belgiuml...

Thank you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pop-ups-ads-k8l-info-top-banners-com.660086/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello and first of all thanks to whoever you are for taking the time to read this I am currently trying to has "Unknown" Solved: other Connection Network node type, issues get windows networking to work with an old laptop and have come to several issues I am running Windows XP Home SP I am able to Solved: Network Connection has "Unknown" node type, other issues connect to my network via the wireless connection and ping other computers on the network successfully However I can in no fashion connect to other windows machines through explorer When I attempt to quot View Workgroup Computers quot nothing at all is displayed not even my own computer When I get the ipconfig information from the console it reports my node as quot Unkown quot I have followed several tutorials on how to reset the node of the network connection through the registry and have followed them all I have always executed the edits and rebooted however no matter what entries were in the registry my issue remained the same When I select the network connection in explorer and view in the left hand tool bar the little snippet of info under quot Details quot reads Peer-to-Peer which I assume is the node type which I have heard can prevent windows networking from operating correctly when enabled None of the tutorials I have found so far have been Solved: Network Connection has "Unknown" node type, other issues able to help me perhaps my problem is a little more specific Once again thanks in advance for your help JimmyBlaze nbsp

A:Solved: Network Connection has "Unknown" node type, other issues

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-connection-has-unknown-node-type-other-issues.807141/
Relevancy 75.25%

hey guys i was working on a computer the other day helping someone quot clean it up quot and make it run faster i did all the normal quot clean up quot stuff got her back online pc running much faster everyone s happy except for one thing one of her original complaints was that her desktop background had recently reverted to all RED with this image in the middle that looks something "biohazard" reverting to screen image with background red keeps desktop type like a biohazard logo desktop background keeps reverting to red screen with "biohazard" type image i tried changing the desktop background via the control panel and it changed momentarily and then reverted back only moments later I ran avg anti-virus and spybot to sweep her machine of any bugs viruses and found quite a few when i left the red desktop was gone then i got a call a couple of days later saying it had returned and not only that but her sister who has the same exact system was having the same exact problem actually i think i remember hearing someone ELSE talking about this too recently has anyone heard of this and then the obvious question being how do i get rid of it nbsp

A:desktop background keeps reverting to red screen with "biohazard" type image

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-background-keeps-reverting-to-red-screen-with-biohazard-type-image.619773/
Relevancy 75.25%

We have upgraded our systems to Windows From XP I have setup Indexing on our server and the employees use the Search Bar upper right on a window to search for a file they are looking for However we have over folders that we are looking though Is there a Default set/add Searching: Search options "Type:Folder" to Change way to set the Search to default type Folder Or have it search just folder names instead of showing files also If I type in quot quot it will take a minute to search everything and Searching: Change Default Search options to set/add "Type:Folder" give me files folder If I type in quot type folder quot it will take seconds and give me folder When the employees are on the phone quicker the better and having them put quot type folder quot after everything is time consuming for them I've looked around online and i'm not sure if i can do this The computers using this are running Windows Pro x Updated to Current Server is Windows Indexed folder the employees are searching in Updated to Current

A:Searching: Change Default Search options to set/add "Type:Folder"

You'll probably want to go with something like FileSearchEX to avoid retraining. There are a few others but this one closely matches your question.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294360-searching-change-default-search-options-set-add-type-folder.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Is there a way in 10 to add modifiers or switches to a default program?

For example, I would like a .xlsx Microsoft Excel file to open with C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1 (That is, adding " /e "%1 to the command line of the .exe file)

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations lets me change the default program, but not HOW the program opens.
When I click on a file type, a pop up only gives me the option of keeping the existing default, or looking for a different app. But no right-click option or otption to modify how the program opens (as I believe there was in XP & 7).
(Also, is there a better way I could have described the issue in the subject line?)

Thank you,
Ed

A:How do you edit default program for file type to include "/" option?

I would think you should be able to edit the shortcut to the executable with command switches or create a batch file to run using those same switches. Nothing should have changed with this process in Windows 10.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/52784-how-do-you-edit-default-program-file-type-include-option.html
Relevancy 75.25%

"File Error
Exception of Type System
OutofMemoryException was thrown."

The above error message occurred while trying to copy my XP OS partition from my WinMe partition using a program which I believe is using xcopy which I downloaded from http://www.lexunfreeware.com/

I am trying to backup my programs which are on one partition, my WinXP OS which is on another partition and my data which is on another partition.

I am backing them up to a 2nd hard drive.

I was successful in backing up the "program" partition but received the error on backing up the XP Partition.

Any ideas what may have caused it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-error-exception-of-type-system-outofmemoryexception-was-thrown.141828/
Relevancy 75.25%

I some how changed file type .dst to open with Corel Draw. I need to change it back to unknown application. I am operating with Windows 10. I have tried going through control panel/default programs/ however it forces me to pick an application, no option for "unknown application".

A:Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst

Hello, and welcome to Ten Forums.

If you like, you can download and merge the .reg file below to unassociate .dst files.

Unassociate_dst.reg

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/60616-change-default-application-back-unknown-file-type-dst.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Need help fixing Windows 7 Home Premium can't run any programs and no internet connection. Ran sfc /scannow, chkdsk /r /f and still get the same subsystem message

Trying to avoid Repair Install, Thanks in advance.

A:[SOLVED] "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present".

This solution is for Server 2008 but should work for Windows 7 too: Message "Subsystem needed to support the image type is not present" error when installing or running applications on Windows Server 2008 R2 Core

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-and-quot-the-subsystem-needed-to-support-the-image-type-is-not-present-and-quot-867402.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Do System Restore Points of type Backup require the actual System Image Backup?

I create a system image backup automatically every week using windows 8 system image backup(that hidden feature). So of course ALL my weekly System Restore Points are of type "BACKUP" i.e. System Image Restore Point & NOT "SYSTEM" i.e. "Automatic Restore Point" see pic below:

When the system image is created it also creates a "System Image Restore Point" of TYPE = "Backup", so my question is, does restoring my computer to one of these restore points actually require the corresponding "system image backup" to make the system restore point work?

I refer only to making use of the system restore point in system protection AND NOT restoring a system image to, for example, a new hard drive.

I hope my question is clear.Thanks Chris

A:Do System Restore Points of type "Backup" require the Bkup

When the system image is created it also creates a "System Image Restore Point" of TYPE = "Backup", so my question is, does restoring my computer to one of these restore points actually require the corresponding "system image backup" to make the system restore point work?

I would say yes it needs the image file. Using the disk cleanup utility you have the option of deleting old system restore backups and shadow copies I believe. And for someone with a decent number of backups this is a massive amount of storage regained because it deletes old images (except the last one) so these backups can get large. So without the image file, the entry is removed and it can't be restored to that point without that image file. Hopefully I understood the question correctly enough.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/59275-do-system-restore-points-type-backup-require-bkup.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi all,

I just created an Access database and I'm having trouble running the query. I keep receiving the error message "Type Mismatch in Expression". I have triple checked all of my underlying fields and they all match so what am I doing wrong? I can't upload the file as I'm at work and don't have access to my FTP so if you are able to assist me with hosting this file, it'd be greatly appreciated. (Note: all names & addresses included in the database are fictitious).

T.I.A!

Relevancy 75.25%

G'day everyone After doing some Googling I discovered that it is impossible in Windows to sort files by file extension -- one can only sort by file type which depends on the file type description This means that if I want to sort by file type I need to rename the type descriptions of all my most "Type" of change types How to the easily in Explorer description file commonly used files In addition the only place where I can see a file's extension is in the file name itself and not e g in the status bar when a file is selected In Windows the file type description not the file extension is also in the status bar In other words in Windows all files labelled e g quot Opera Web Document quot are sorted as if they have the same file type regardless of whether they are html htm mht etc And if I select a file and look at the status bar the file's type is indicated as quot Opera Web Document quot without any clue as to the file extension The only way for me to see the file extension is to increase the width of the quot Name quot column until the end How to easily change the "Type" description of file types in Explorer of How to easily change the "Type" description of file types in Explorer the file name becomes visible So my question is Is there an easy way to simply rename the file type descriptions I see that my JPG files are named quot JPG File quot and my PNG files are named quot PNG quot file which is extremely useful What I now want is to rename my HTML HTM and MHT files' file types to quot HTML File quot quot HTM File quot and quot MHT File quot and the same would apply to all file types I often use e g DOC DOCX XLS XML TXT etc Thanks Samuel

A:How to easily change the "Type" description of file types in Explorer

Quote: Originally Posted by leuce

Is there an easy way to simply rename the file type descriptions?

I've discovered Default Programs Editor but that only does one file at a time, using a very long, cumbersome route. But... it works. Something quicker with the possibility to automate would be nice, though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/221509-how-easily-change-type-description-file-types-explorer.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Start8 isnt free but provides a win 7 start menu/button and boots directly to desktop

classic shell provides only the start menu for free

can anyone tell me the best/good FREE program that does what start8 does....?

thanks

A:what is best free "start8" type prog that will boot to desktop in win8

You may want to hold off until the Win 8.1 update, due next week, is installed. Its supposed to add more "desktop" functionality.

However, I have Start8. $4.95 didn't break the bank.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/327457-what-best-free-start8-type-prog-will-boot-desktop-win8.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I have a question I hope someone can help me with.

I bought Windows 10 Pro License / Product Key cheap on Ebay.
I have verified it is a VOLUME_MAK Type Product Key.

I downloaded my ISO direct from Microsoft.

Installed and Activated ? no problems.

I am aware that MS could deactivate because re-sale of this type key is not permitted. I am not concerned with that. I am more concerned with the person I bought it from being able to gain access to my machine. So here is my question.

Question: Can the person who sold me this VOLUME_MAK Type Product Key use it somehow to gain access to my machine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

A:Can Seller Of "VOLUME_MAK Type Product Key" gain access to my system?

What you have done is software piracy. You cannot even defence yourself by telling you didn't know it's illegal, you knew very well that a volume activation key is not for resale.

Our forum rules strictly forbids all conversation about piracy. I have reported your post to administrators.

http://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/68320-can-seller-volume_mak-type-product-key-gain-access-my-system.html
Relevancy 75.25%

hey guys i was working on a computer the other day helping red reverting image desktop "biohazard" screen type to keeps with background someone quot clean it up quot and make it run faster i did all the normal quot clean up quot stuff got her back online pc running much faster everyone's happy except for one thing one of her original complaints was that her desktop background had recently reverted to all RED with this image in the middle that looks something like a biohazard logo i tried changing the desktop background via the control panel and it changed momentarily and then reverted back only moments later I ran avg anti-virus and spybot to sweep her machine of any bugs viruses and found quite a few when i left the red desktop was gone then i got a call a couple of days later saying it had returned and not only that but her sister who has the same exact system was having the desktop background keeps reverting to red screen with "biohazard" type image same exact problem actually i think i remember hearing someone ELSE talking about this too recently has anyone heard of this and then the obvious question being how do i get rid desktop background keeps reverting to red screen with "biohazard" type image of it

A:desktop background keeps reverting to red screen with "biohazard" type image

Is it the active desktop notification?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/desktop-background-keeps-reverting-to-red-screen-with-biohazard-type-image-179429.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I just completed some Windows Updates, and since that time, Outlook 2007 is not working properly. I can no longer receive email from my gmail account. I looked in the Account Settings and noticed that the "Account Type" pull-down menu is grayed out. Any ideas on how to fix this???

A:Outlook 2007 - "account type" grayed out after Windows Update

Nevermind - I just deleted the accounts and started fresh. That seems to have worked.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2007-account-type-grayed-out-after-windows-update.968616/
Relevancy 75.25%

Here's the problem. For some oddball reason, the font size has changed in the "Normal" box to Times New Roman 10 in some of my .doc files, but other .doc files remain the default TNR 12 size.
How do I set it so the Normal reading is Times new Roman 12 as it was for all .doc files before?
:
:
My error: The title should have read:
:
"Normal" font size has changed for some reason (Word 2K)

A:"Normal" type & font size has changed for some reason (Word2K)

Hi, Gary.

Open Word.
Format--Font, change to whatever you like.
Hit the Default button at lower-left of the dialog.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/normal-type-font-size-has-changed-for-some-reason-word2k.126130/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello I m having a bit of a weird issue with track changes showing some author names and not others apparently without regard to the document settings Doc was originally created in Word the quot Remove personal information from file properties on save quot box is UNCHECKED and grayed out I am using Word When I make changes or comments my name shows up as the author and this information is successfully saved with the file Others are able to see my name as the author still (sometimes) personal "Remove info" removes info but unchecked is personal My colleague is using Word When he makes changes "Remove personal info" is unchecked but still removes personal info (sometimes) or comments and hits save he shows up as quot USERNAME quot but my name stays on my comments I have checked his settings and the quot Remove personal info quot box is UNCHECKED and grayed out Is this some sort of compatibility issue between Word and Word Something else Any ideas Any help is appreciated Also in "Remove personal info" is unchecked but still removes personal info (sometimes) case it matters I and my colleague are both using Windows nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remove-personal-info-is-unchecked-but-still-removes-personal-info-sometimes.963458/
Relevancy 75.25%

'Wise Registry Cleaner' suggests ok to 'fix' by deleting certain registry entries per the following message...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{188a4c39-df85-4881-8c94-29b69c307ecf}\TypeLib\
Reason: Type Library does not exist:{188a4c39-df85-4881-8c94-29b69c307ecf}
Safe to fix.

I know you officially dont recommend 'registry cleaners', but if we do use them, is there a good place to find out what some of these messages mean in terms of ok to delete such entries (besides asking the WRC people) ?

A:Registry Cleaner ok to delete if "Type Library does not exist:" ???

Hello and Welcome to TSF

After Wise Registry Cleaner analyzes your system for problems, you can individually view each of the problems found and call up a detailed description. If you wish, you can also have all problems corrected automatically.
All changes to your system are monitored by Wise Registry Cleaner and can be undone with a few mouse clicks.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5437.html

That information they provide should be enough , is it not?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/registry-cleaner-ok-to-delete-if-type-library-does-not-exist-228349.html
Relevancy 75.25%

When I run excel 97 and click on the “open” command the dialogue box shows a default choice for “files of type”. The default is "microsoft excel files" and I wish to change this default to “all files.” I know how to do this manually by selecting “all files” in the drop down menu, but want to avoid this step.

A:change default "files of type" in open dialog box

I asked somewhere else for you, rag, and they gave downright explicit instructions. Try it out:

Step 1
Close any open workbooks.

Step 2
Create a new workbook.

Step 3
Go to the VBE, and in the Project Explorer, click on VBAProject(Personal.xls).
Notes (in case anyone reading this does not know):
To get to the VBE, click on Tools > Macro > Visual Basic Editor, or press Alt+F11.
If the Project Explorer is not visible, while in the VBE click View > Project Explorer, or press Ctrl+R.
If you do not already have a Personal.xls project created, then create one, and return to Step 1. See Excel’s on line help for creating a Personal workbook.

Step 4
While in VBE with the Personal.xls project selected, click Insert > Module, and paste this in:

Sub Open_File()
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogOpen).Show Arg1:="*.*"
End Sub

Step 5
Click View > Microsoft Excel, or press Alt+F11.

Step 6
Click on Tools > Customize > Commands tab.

Step 7
With the Customize dialog box open, click on File from the worksheet menu bar. This will pull down the File menu options, and at the same time, enable the "Modify Selection" button on the Commands tab of the Customize dialog box.

Step 8
Click "Open" on the File menu, then click the "Modify Selection" button on the Customize dialog box. In the Name field, you should see something like "&Open…". So far so good.

Step 9
Click "Assign Macro…", then click "PERSONAL.XLS!Open_File", and click OK.

Step 10
Assuming you have the Standard toolbar visible on the sheet, click on the Open icon, and repeat Step 8 and Step 9. One note, at this point, the Name field might say "Open" without the ampersand. That is normal.

Step 11
Click the "Close" button on the Customize dialog box.

Step 12
From the File menu, click Exit. If you are prompted to save changes to Personal.xls, choose Yes. If you are prompted to save changes for any other workbook (Book1.xls or whatever), choose No.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-files-of-type-in-open-dialog-box.108305/
Relevancy 75.25%

I was looking at the content of some .com-playback file types using the "open with" command and then selecting VLC player. Unfortunately I accidentally had the box ticked to open all files of this type with VLC from now on.

The files were originally designated as being opened with an "unknown application". I can set these files to be opened by default with any program, but as it is not on the list how do I change it back to open with "unknown application"?

And now the .com-playback file types cannot be opened again as it used to.

Any advice appreciated , thanks.

A:file type Change back to "unknown application"

Hi korchi, Welcome to Seven forums.

1. Click the "Start" button, type "cmd", and press "Enter" while holding the "Ctrl" and "Shift" buttons. This runs the Command Prompt as an Administrator.

2. Click "Continue" in the confirmation window. If you are not currently logged in as an administrator, enter the administrator password.

3. Type "assoc .EXT=" in the Command Prompt window, replacing "EXT" with the actual file extension. Press "Enter" to remove the file association.

Or you can try to make changes in registry. Only do this if you are comfortable with registry editing.

1. Click the "Start" button, type "regedit" and press "Enter" while holding the "Ctrl" and "Shift" keys.

2. Click "Continue" in the confirmation window, or type the administrator password, if requested.

3.Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes" in the Registry Editor. Right-click the extension under "Classes," select "Delete" and click "Yes" in the confirmation window.

4. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExt." Right-click the extension under the "FileExt" folder in the left-hand pane, and select "Delete." Click "Yes" in the confirmation window.

5. Test that the association has been removed by double-clicking it from Windows Explorer. If it opens an associated program, then continue the procedure. If it asks you to choose a program, then the association has been removed.

6. Hold the "Ctrl" key and press "F" to search the Registry. Enter ".EXT", replacing "EXT" with the actual extension, and press "Enter." Right-click any folder from the right-hand pane that is named after that extension, and delete it. This step may be unnecessary, but some programs place additional entries in randomly named folders.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/318473-file-type-change-back-unknown-application.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi guys,

I have always used Notepad++ for basic Java development and have manually compiled via cmdline. I am new to Eclipse IDE.

When I try to add a new class to a package, this error shows up:

The "Finish" button is greyed out because of this. I am unsure what to do.

A:Eclipse IDE: "Type name is empty" error when creating new Class

You should fill the new class name, as this wizard will create all the basic structure for you. Afterwards you may want to rename to something else if some refactoring comes by.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/319788-eclipse-ide-type-name-empty-error-when-creating-new-class.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Running: Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, service pack 1
Logged in under account with administrator privileges (checked)

I am trying to rename a folder that lives here: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming

When I right click on it and select rename and change the name ".foldername" to ".foldername2" I get the following error from Windows: "You must type a filename"

Not sure what it's trying to tell me... But the "new" folder name ".foldername2" doesn't exist...

Any ideas? I googled but didn't find any info about rules for managing directories that live under the roaming folder...

Thanks in advance!

A:Error: "You must type a filename" when renaming folder under roaming .

Hello OldDogEyes,

You are getting that message since you have a period at the start of the name. Only what is in front of the period is consider the actual "file name". Anything after the last period is considered the "file extension" for a file. You'll have to type something like "foldername2" instead without the period.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/209594-error-you-must-type-filename-when-renaming-folder-under-roaming.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hey all I have a good one for everyone out there We would like to - network Offered} question.... {Advice "Ghosting" type be able to use some sort of quot ghosting quot software package to be able to install NT Workstation over a TCP IP network from remote locations by remote I mean on our network We just {Advice Offered} - "Ghosting" type network question.... don t want to bring the PC up to the lab and ghost it from there I know that there are plenty of ghosting packages out there We d like to use one that of course works great but that also uses TCP IP instead of multi-casting or broadcasting We want a straight pipe to be {Advice Offered} - "Ghosting" type network question.... connected between the client and the server One more thing Does anyone know of a way to create a network bootable floppy that would start TCP IP and bring you to a DOS prompt We want to be able to use the net command ping etc which is why we need to have TCP IP started from the floppy disk Any ideas anyone Thanks in advance for your help nbsp

A:{Advice Offered} - "Ghosting" type network question....

Greetings

At my old work, there was an entire department given over to this endevour. They created a bootdisk that would boot up, format the HD, load the correct network drivers and then install NT over the network from a central server. It was called the "Zappo" process. And, unfortunately, that is all I can tell you about that, as the info is classified.

What I can tell you, is to take a test machine, install DOS onto it. Then install the DOS drivers for your network card (you can find some helpful utilities on your NT server CD in the Support directory.

And slowly build up your disk.

Hope that helps

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-ghosting-type-network-question.28670/
Relevancy 75.25%

I have never been able to solve this, and it is really annoying. Anytime I open a folder with many file types, I'd like it to be grouped by "Type." However, "Type" is never displayed as an option in explorer, and I then have to select the "More" scroll down and choose "Type" then go through the "group by" process again. It's a lot of extra clicks, especially when I have to do this with lots of folders. How do I get "Type" to display in the "Group by" right click in explorer? Or better yet, how can I get folders to automatically display files grouped by type?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/383008-how-make-type-option-sort-group-default.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I am creating a report to display details from golf tournaments, it's part of my study.

I have a query to run the report but both display "type mismatch in expression". I have gone over every table the query is linked to and everything is the same. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Relevancy 75.25%

Some months ago I posted the following question and received a good working answer. Since that time I have upgraded to Windows 2000 from Win98. The previous procedure now no longer seems to work. Here is the problem as previously stated: When I run excel 97 and click on the “open” command the dialogue box shows a default choice for “files of type”. The default is "microsoft excel files" and I wish to change this default to “all files.” I know how to do this manually by selecting “all files” in the drop down menu, but want to avoid this step.
Any suggestions?

A:change default "files of type" in open dialog box

This is for XL2000

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=213755

Don't know if it's any good for you though....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-files-of-type-in-open-dialog-box.254681/
Relevancy 75.25%
Relevancy 75.25%

Looking for usb or serial external PCMCIA type ll slot.

Now what im tring to do, is...

I currently use my cell phone with a data cable to connect to any computer as a modem. then i can dial out using a special service from alltel called Acess mobile link (slightly higher speeds than regular dialup and this eliminates the middle man and i have unlimited data download) Anyways... they also offer a PC card for type ll slots (common on laptops not on PCs) witch is setup to basicaly do the same thing that my cellphone is doing only i can not find any thing that would allow me to use the card with out having a type ll slot. ANYTHING would be nice. like a "usb adapter" would be nice, or even an "external type ll slot".

Any ideas besides "buying a laptop" would be nice

A:"Wireless PC card" adapter? USB or External type ll slot or ANYTHING

Not sure if I am understanding your right or not....

But would something like THIS do the trick?

It'll give you a type II PCMCIA slot in the back of your computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-pc-card-adapter-usb-or-external-type-ll-slot-or-anything.33144/
Relevancy 75.25%

hi you wonderful people have already helped me find a card reader that is compatible with my "patriot" brand memory card, and now that it's here i'm attempting to use file recovery software called "smart recovery" and it's asking me what "type" of file to search for on the memory card. there are SO many choices and i don't know a lot about this. the default file type it wants to search for is jpeg, there is also bmp, avi, tiff, and a lot of brand names listed. my camera is konica minolta - i see minolta. anyone have any idea what i should choose? and, if i start will the wrong one, will it further ruin my chances of recovering any data? thanks to anyone willing to help!

Relevancy 75.25%

Hi all This is a great forum you have here OK I am having a very low-tech month I think I am trying to trouble shoot a problem with my system which had been running reasonably well until now -- I say reasonably well on "Type a clean advance past name" Can't computer install because lately Can't advance past "Type a computer name" on clean install I seem to have hit some hardware challenges More on that later however if required In order to trouble shoot my issues I find myself needing to reinstall Windows My boot disk which is an SSD seems to cause the system to hang when it is connected so I am trying to install a new verion of Win to troubleshoot the other from Now I have ample space on a couple of drives so that is where I targeted Everything runs fine in the installation process the system reboots and I am presented the screen to enter a system name I enter a name but the quot next quot button is protected and not clickable Does this mean anything to anyone This seems very rudimentary but frankly I can't find anything to make it go

A:Can't advance past "Type a computer name" on clean install

Hi

Welcome to Seven Forums
Please have a look at this thread

Hope this helps in some way

Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/111097-cant-advance-past-type-computer-name-clean-install.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Has anyone ever had the problem when opening a Microsoft Office word 2007 file on the desktop or elsewhere and then receive the message: "Windows cannot find C: (doc)Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again." Seems to be a compatibility issue with Vista and Microsoft office 2007. I have tried several ways and searched the web and found a few techniques. I have minimized the problem, but it still persists. Odd, because I just double-click on the file which is right in front of my nose. How can it not find the file?I need a solid solution. Thanks for your help!

A:Microsoft Office"Windows cannot find C:(doc)Make sure you type and try again."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-office-windows-cannot-find-c-doc-make-sure-you-type-and-try-again.861049/
Relevancy 75.25%

Like these:

I go to Properties -> Customize -> Change Icon, but that kind of folders don't appear.
I assume it's because they're in a location other than the default one: %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll.
Fortunately, there's a browse button. Anyone knows the location of those blue folder icons? Thanks.

A:How can I get these icons for my folders?, The blue type of the "User" folder

It's C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/126913-how-can-i-get-these-icons-my-folders-blue-type-user-folder.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I am trying to remember the name of this program I used in tech school that would analyze a computer and then give you a detailed summery of all the hardware in the computer, all the way down to the kind of RAM you had in the machine. Any ideas?

A:Solved: Looking for a "system information" type utility to tell me about all my hardw

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-looking-for-a-system-information-type-utility-to-tell-me-about-all-my-hardw.755990/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi there,

I am trying to turn a public folder that i've created in system manger on exchange into an appointment calendar using IPM.appointment (a standard form).

However, when i try and do this it tells me "you cannot create an item of this type in this folder".

Can you tell me how to apply this to the folder. I have all the relevant permissions etc.

Although it might be worth saying that I already have a public calendar? but need this second one for a conference room.

I think im just missing something simple..... but havent needed to do this before.

Thank you in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/applying-a-form-to-a-public-folder-issue-you-cannot-create-an-item-of-this-type.988802/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello,
I own a Dell Inspiron 15R 5537, bought on Feb 1, 2014. 
As the title says, I get the error: "Your Battery has experienced a permanent failure and needs to be replaced." It also comes on QuickSet. The Battery is stuck at 86% and isn't charging nor discharging. I can only operate via AC power supply which seems to work fine.
I've updated BIOS and checked and it shows the same error message for battery whereas BIOS shows AC power supply is working fine.
I've pretty much tried all the methods suggested in the other posts related to this issue in the forum(s) and still it isn't resolved. The Battery light flashes Red continuously when the battery is plugged.
So is there any other thing I can do? Or should I replace under warranty? And how long is the warranty valid in India?
Battery Type: MR90Y 65 Wh
Thank you!
Nithish

A:Dell Battery Type MR90Y "has experienced a permanent failure and needs to be replaced"

The battery is warranted for 12 months - call Dell and have it replaced.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19588094
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello all Just around two weeks ago or so something that type Windows Solved: doesn't other "default" save issues. settings, I assume I did has caused my PC to stop doing a number of things such as Recognizing recently used programs in the start menu Allowing the locking and unlocking of the task bar Saving the organization of Solved: Windows doesn't save "default" type settings, other issues. files in the quot Quick Launch quot bar Saving my decision to quot Show Hidden Files and Folders quot from the control panel Saving default file associations and other such settings Such as Firefox as my default browser Winamp and VLC for all media files Windows Media Player also goes through setup every time it Solved: Windows doesn't save "default" type settings, other issues. launched when I forget to use quot open with quot Making folders and other things through the Right Click gt New menus in folders and on the desktop And a wide assortment of other problems that I either can t think of or am unaware of at this time I remember having a similar issue once in the past and I was able to resolve it through a system restore from a time before the issue began This time however the earliest restore available was already after the problem began I m not really sure where to begin with this issue Most of my own little research attempts have lead it to being a registry issue but I have no real justification for that of my own Many solutions have pointed to the policies directory for Explorer but I have no items in there to look at So I come to anyone here asking for some guidance in my issue Thank you for any help you may provide I truly appreciate the assistance Also here are system specs if they are determined to be relevant No hardware changes were made within the past months though Code Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Quad CPU Q GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ACER G T-AM V G Antivirus Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live Anti-Virus Updated and Enabled nbsp

A:Solved: Windows doesn't save "default" type settings, other issues.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-doesnt-save-default-type-settings-other-issues.1015912/
Relevancy 75.25%

RE: How to Make Windows 7 Search File Contents: 12 Steps

OK I have enable Win7 content search, but when I open Explorer to a desired directory and do CTRL+F I see the normal search window.

How do I search for instance within all htm(l) extended file, for all the files containing the word "?tant" and "?tang".

If I directly search for my content key words, the search will return all the file times, viz doc, xls, htm*, ...

Thanks

A:How to file type limit content search? Ex. IN *.htm* find word "étant"

ext:htm AND ext:html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/297865-how-file-type-limit-content-search-ex-htm-find-word-etant.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi,
I found a Google play download for android on softsonic but get error "file type exe not found" when selected from ad card? This is a nextbook PREMIUM 8SE multi touch capacitive screen, 800x600 pixels, 4.3 display 1080p, AML8726-M3 Cortex A9 1 GHz, DDR3 512 MB, Android OS 4.0 ice cream sandwich, OTA compatible, easy connect WIFI 802.11 b/g/n
That is all the specs I see. Any fixes? Thanks

A:file type exe not found"google play apk"android download error

Your post is confusing. Reads like your device is running an Android OS -- ICS. But, ".exe" files are MS Windows files, not Android. They're generally executables but can also be self-extracting archives Either way, they will do you no good on a machine running Android.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/288209-file-type-exe-not-found-google-play-apk-android-download-error.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I've been doing a lot of tidying up of my file types and associations and one of the things that I have done is to ensure that all my most used file types have meaningful and accurate quot friendly names quot So instead Explorer referring to wv files as quot WV File quot it now says quot WavPack Audio File quot I've done this for numerous file types and it has all worked well and is correctly displayed in Explorer However I also use Windows Libraries and for some reason it is still using generic file descriptions or older ones that I chose myself and subsequently updated I have Explorer Type wrong names "Libraries" File displaying Windows done the usual things of clearing the icon cache and all other cache and temp storage I've also completely rebuilt the index of the Library in question I have even removed all folders from that library and deleted the top level library itself then after a reboot recreated it by selecting 'Restore Default Libraries' but as soon as I add my folder to the Windows Explorer "Libraries" displaying wrong File Type names Library the same old file names show up again I have done a thorough search of Windows Explorer "Libraries" displaying wrong File Type names my Registry and some of the terms being displayed by the Library are nowhere to be found in the Registry because I have updated every possible instance of the file type name so it must be cached somewhere unless its buried in some indecipherable format in the Registry that doesn't show up in search results If I click an incorrectly named 'file types' group in the Library and then choose 'Open Folder Location' to look at the same files directly in Explorer rather than via the Library then all the file type names display correctly even though the library window that I've just come from displays the name differently Can anyone advise me how I can force the Libraries to update and display the correct file type names as designated in the Registry Many thanks

A:Windows Explorer "Libraries" displaying wrong File Type names

This could have something to do with your user files. Are you the Administrator of this computer & do you only have one user account?.

Click on Computer & then click on your main OS drive which is normally C:\, then click Users, which should show your user name as one of the folders. Click on that & select your Documents files & see if the new names are listed there, if so you can create a New Library by clicking on Include in Library, from the menu at the top, & selecting Create New Library.

If all the Documents are correct as mentioned above you could copy all the Documents into the New library & then after checking everything is correct you can delete the old library.

If you have more that one user account, it's possible that all the changes are being made on one account & you are then trying to access them on another account, so you keep getting the old arrangement.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398485-windows-explorer-libraries-displaying-wrong-file-type-names.html
Relevancy 75.25%

My computer recently started having issues here is what is going on boot computer Windows boot screen displayed notification to conect service" Windows system to event " failed minute screen goes black Can move mouse Drive light constantly on not blinking minutes log in screen comes up log in Desktop loads minute gt sometimes it loads with regular windows aero theme other times it loads with basic windows classic theme Error message pop up quot failed to connect to System event notification service quot Have to wait for about more minutes before computer is actually usable The audio service does not work as well from when I press the power button to when I can actually use my computer takes - minutes Here is what I have tried so far Turning off all start up programs services Tested Memory - passed Hard Drive Self Windows failed to conect to " system event notification service" Test ---- - fail I am guessing that this is the source of the problem however my computer does still work once everything is finally booted So I don't know what to do with that information or if that test even matters I have tried looking at the event Windows failed to conect to " system event notification service" viewer but every time it says that the event log service is unavailable gt I try turning on Windows Event Log but that does not change anything tried quot netsh winsock reset quot in command prompt based on a different thread that I found - it didn't work bit Windows untimate clean install from usb iso post resolution to bootsect exe issue running on dell poweredge sc quot No Audio Output Device is installed quot hardware issue Win has never detected or installed drivers for Ensoniq es sound card Specs below OS Name Microsoft Windows Ultimate Version Service Pack Build Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model PowerEdge SC System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Dell Inc A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot quot User Name Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time Installed Physical Memory RAM GB Total Physical Memory GB Available Physical Memory MB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys Cant seem to find any info on sevenforums or microsoft technet or cnet or WELL Any where Microsoft fix it no problems detected Please any help greatly appreciated

A:Windows failed to conect to " system event notification service"

This seems to be a common problem, I am now also experiencing the same.
I have Win 7 Home Premium 64. Did chkdsk /r, defragged, tried sfc/scannow scanned for viruses and even tried reseting winsock.
My aero themes are greyed out, when trying to fix it with MS fixit it errors out.
It takes a long time to boot and then says "failed to connect to System event notification service"

One search on google will show this is a major problem, so why does MS not come out with a fix.
This seems to be the biggest frustration with Win 7 compared to XP, lack of support from MS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/161341-windows-failed-conect-system-event-notification-service.html
Relevancy 75.25%

For the past few weeks I've been having this strange issue with my computer I would be doing something like browsing the internet freezes, HDD paring "error fails, System 51 Event during operation" or playing a game Then I would go to access some media files such as music or video's on my media drive and my computer would start acting up The symptoms I would get is the sound would buzz and scratch the screen would freeze and stutter and repeat this every few seconds until my hard drive fails and loses connection all-together Then I would have to restart my computer to get my drive back and POST displays that BOOTMGR is missing I would have to go into BIOS to reset the Boot Order to get my system to boot up and I would get my media drive back At first I thought my hard drive was dying so I took it out and plugged it into another computer to troubleshoot it Everything seemed to work fine I even went to the lengths of purchasing a new System freezes, HDD fails, Event 51 "error during paring operation" hard drive but have yet to install it I then realized that my video drivers started to act up and crash so I updated those I believed I had a beta driver and once I got a WHQL driver the problem went away At least until now A week later I was on facebook listening to some music and I went to browse my media drive and to my surprise it instantly started stuttering and freezing again I'm at the point where I don't know what else to do except replace the drive which I'll probably end up doing this weekend I've attached several Event Viewer logs I could also try capturing it on video if that would help at all I've never seen this happen before Any ideas EDIT I just rebooted my system after I lost my drive again and this time it didn't loose the boot order so I'm not exactly sure why that's different now than before I should also mention that I like to set my icons for the shortcuts on my desktop to be blank No I didn't do the 'remove the arrow hack' Although recently they've been showing up as black icons I had this issue several years back and iirc it was an old driver or something Not sure if this could be related I've attached the driversquery to this as well just in case

A:System freezes, HDD fails, Event 51 "error during paring operation"

First, change the title of your post. That should be PAGING, not PARING. A lot of people will skip the post not knowing what that is.

All errors indicate a dying hard drive as you suspected. The fact that it works without error in another PC raises the possibility that you may have power supply problems (insufficient power to the drives will produce the same errors), bad cables, or a problem with the SATA controller on the motherboard.

How many physical hard drives do you have in this PC? (Not to be confused with partitions on the same hard drive). If more than one physical hard drive, which one is the problem drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/335285-system-freezes-hdd-fails-event-51-error-during-paring-operation.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I have the Purchased Retail Version of MR6 and have made several successful (NO Failed Yet) of my ENTIRE WIN 10 Computer (Image) onto my USB Seagate 1.5TB External HD.

In the Log I get this: Event ID: 513 Source: "Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2"

What does it mean ?? Looked all over the Internet but didn't find a "Fix" !!

Thanks !!

Wen

A:MACRIUM REFLECT - Event ID: 513 Source: "Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2"

Originally Posted by wen

I have the Purchased Retail Version of MR6 and have made several successful (NO Failed Yet) of my ENTIRE WIN 10 Computer (Image) onto my USB Seagate 1.5TB External HD.

In the Log I get this: Event ID: 513 Source: "Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2"

What does it mean ?? Looked all over the Internet but didn't find a "Fix" !!

Thanks !!

Wen

See here: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...in+Windows+8.1

Macrium support in their forum characterizes this as a "benign" event. See Nick's post at http://forum.macrium.com/Topic3154.aspx

Since you have paid version, you can register at this forum - will need to enter confirmation of paid status to complete registration. If you only want to browse and not post, no need to register.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/19874-macrium-reflect-event-id-513-source-microsoft-windows-capi2.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Dear Forum people,

I have just reinstalled my desktop 2 days ago, and now I am having random restarts/crashes. I cannot correlate to any specific software or task when it happens.
I have also updated my BIOS to the newest version before Win7 reinstall. I have only a couple of programs installed so far, and the newest drivers for my motherboard, videocard, etc...

I already did MEM test, but the RAMs looks ok.
I have also attached the zip file created by the SF Diagnostic Tool as it was described.

Any help is welcomed!

(ps.: I have licenced win7 ultimate + Bitdefender Antivirus Plus)

A:random restarts --> "Problem Event Name: BlueScreen Locale ID: 1038"

Post this report:Activation Issue Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/297558-random-restarts-problem-event-name-bluescreen-locale-id-1038-a.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello All - I ran into an issue where Outlook 2010 (Calendar) does not show certain options for a Calendar Event. Meeting that has been received and accepted, when opened does not have option of "Respond" and once that button is clicked drop down menu should display "Reply, Reply All... Reply with IM, etc."

Here is the screen-shot of it and how it is supposed to look like.. just not seeing it on my computer:
Note: I did notice when someone schedules an appointment in Calendar this option is not available; but other meeting invites co-worker of mine does have and I don't. Complete the same environment, same machines, same OS image (W7 64-bit Enterprise - company computers). Also, company IT is looking into this and so far they have not been able to find the culprit of this issue.

Thanks all!

A:MS Outlook 2010 / Calendar event missing "Respond" (Reply All, etc.)

Hi CarDusan,

Means you are missing the section (Change Response) through which a user can accept or decline events or Outlook appointments.

This issue arises when the following data file exists in the Windows Registry (with the values):

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Calendar

DWORD: DisableResponseButtons
Value: 1

Use the given "Fix it for me" solution provided by Microsoft.
Manager is unable to respond to a meeting invite

Thanks
Clark Kent

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/341390-ms-outlook-2010-calendar-event-missing-respond-reply-all-etc.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Every time I log onto my computer I enter my password and it looks like its loading to the desktop Then it prompts me to type it in again for some reason - and the second time it actually does load the desktop This just started happening today I looked in the event viewer and I get the same error for every time I turn on my PC or restart quot The COM Event System detected an inconsistency in its internal state The assertion quot GetLastError L quot failed at inconsistency COM+ Event in errror System its an "The detected state." internal line of d qxp slp com com x src events shared sectools cpp Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error For more information see Help and Support Center errror "The COM+ Event System detected an inconsistency in its internal state." at errror "The COM+ Event System detected an inconsistency in its internal state." http go microsoft com fwlink events asp quot The link for microsoft help is useless The last things I did were -set a BIOS supervisor and user password so you must enter a password to boot the machine and also to enter BIOS setup to make changes - Made several changes to quot local security policy quot under control panel administrative tools local security policy I don t see why changing security policy would affect anything Basically the changes I made were just to make the computer a bit more secure I changed the LAN Manager Authentication level to send LTNMv response only refuse LM I changed quot Do not store LAN Manager hash value on next password change quot to enabled default was disabled And under User Rights assignment I simply changed or two settings nothing big I simply took the SUPPORT quot account access out of some things- because I don t want microsoft having the ability to gain access to my computer Never had such a weird problem before nbsp

A:errror "The COM+ Event System detected an inconsistency in its internal state."

solved my own problem-

simply creating a new user and restarting the computer fixed the problem.

I have a feeling it had something to do with the LAN Manager hash value setting" I changed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/errror-the-com-event-system-detected-an-inconsistency-in-its-internal-state.700522/
Relevancy 75.25%

When checking the eventviewer->Windows Log->System and filtering 6006, the last entry was over 10 days ago.

Anyone out there having a clue why?

Thanks
=

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/35615-eventid-6006-event-log-service-stopped-ended-10-days-ago.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello, I own an elitebook 8540w:

Windows 7 professional 64 bit
NVIDIA QUADRO FX 1800M
RAM: 8 Gb

I have noticed some daily hang up - lasting about 30 seconds: the only thing that seemed to work was the mouse pointer.
From the event viewer I see so many events like this:

Quote:
Event 17, WHEA-Logger

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x3:0x0
Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0xd138
Class Code: 0x30400

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Attached are the lines of the event viewer of those events.

Fix it please.
Thank you.

A:Hang Up: elitebook 8540W: Why so many: "Event 17, WHEA-Logger" errors!

Same issue even after having upgraded to the latest INTEL Chipset:
Intel? 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets 9.2.0.1030

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/159146-hang-up-elitebook-8540w-why-so-many-event-17-whea-logger-errors.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I've just noticed frequent quot A corrected hardware error has occurred quot warnings in my event viewer dating back to October th of this year As of now I haven't come across any performance issues or anything like that though I'm getting different errors with different processor IDs and System Warning AM Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger LOCAL SERVICE NAME A corrected hardware error has occurred Reported by component Processor Core Error Source Error Type Processor ID System Warning AM Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger LOCAL SERVICE NAME A error occurred" 19 ID: has WHEA-Logger corrected "A hardware Event corrected hardware error has occurred Reported by component Processor Core Error Source Error Type Processor ID Here's my processor and general PC Specs the machine came packed with Windows but I downgraded to Ultimate SP x AMD A - TDP W Operating WHEA-Logger Event ID: 19 "A corrected hardware error has occurred" speed WHEA-Logger Event ID: 19 "A corrected hardware error has occurred" GHz up to GHz turbo Number of cores Socket FM http h www hp com bizsupport riesId And if it's of any value according to Speccy my PC temps seems to sit in the mid-high 's with Jumps into the 's and low 's

A:WHEA-Logger Event ID: 19 "A corrected hardware error has occurred"

Welcome to sevenforums!

This was given to me by "essenbe" member forum. Might this WHEA Error Alert Guide helps you!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/311379-whea-logger-event-id-19-corrected-hardware-error-has-occurred.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Please Help My HP running Vista Home Basic suddenly gave me the following error message on startup quot Failed to connect to a Windows service Could not connect to System Event Notification Service quot Among other things this prevents me from connecting to my internet network so I can't get on-line Rebooting did not help Following the google search I used an elevated command prompt click Start click All Programs click Accessories right-click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator and typing quot NETSH WINSOCK RESET quot then press the Enter Notification Event "System Vista: Service"? Windows key and then restart the computer I still cannot access my internet network instead of not connection now I get the message quot unidentified network Windows Vista: "System Event Notification Service"? quot and I still cannot go online although there I have some Mbs It sais I do not understand this text quot What netsh winsock reset command does are it resets Winsock Catalog to a clean state or default configuration It removes all Winsock LSP Layered Service Providers previously installed including the potential malfunctioned LSP that causes loss of network packets transmission failure So all previously-installed LSPs must be reinstalled This command does not affect Winsock Name Space Provider entries quot Please help me with the next step in order to be able to go online from my computer Thank you

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/226767-windows-vista-system-event-notification-service.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi All,

I've had an issue with Event viewer unable to start due to "endpoint mapper database entry could not be created" Error 1899. I have done a SFC and have had some but not all issues fixed, I have a log of the result and maybe could post if needed. I've also done a system restore to a previous working config but no luck, the problem still persists. Has anyone had experience with this issue and know a fix for it?

Regards
Hiconic

A:cannot start event viewer "Error code 1899"

It's no wonder people slag off Microsoft for the lack of support. This issue has effectively stopped me from doing any back up on my PC as without the Event logging service or Event viewer service running the Back up cannot be set as it's dependent on these services which are hog tied by this endpoint mapper issue! Another Windows endless catch 22 loop!!

I can't believe no one has anything to offer on this issue! I've seen this issue raised on several forums but as yet no one seems to have the solution, which begs the question where are all the experts out there specializing in Windows 7? Suddenly, nothing happened!!

Hiconic

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/311430-cannot-start-event-viewer-error-code-1899-a.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I receive this error message in the Windows System log regularly Device Manager does not show any malfunctioning devices Apparently csvol service is part of HFS for Windows This is a program that allows reading of HFS file systems on Windows I did install that And I believe these Event not the is "A device system 7000: attached ID Event to functioning" ID errors are related to a service failing to start maxView Storage Manager Agent service will not start It is set to 'automatic start' in the Services viewer app However I find that it is not started and if I attempt to start it manually I receive a message stating it started and then stopped quot Some services stop automatically if they are not in Event ID 7000: "A device attached to the system is not functioning" use by other services or programs quot That should not be the case with this service I'd greatly appreciate any help with this - lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt - lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Service Control Manager quot Guid quot d -a d - - e e- d f quot EventSourceName quot Service Control Manager quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt DESKTOP-NN U lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt - lt EventData gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt csvol lt Data gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt lt Data gt lt Binary gt F C lt Binary gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt System Information report written at System Name DESKTOP-NN U System Summary Item Value OS Name Microsoft Windows Pro Version Build Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name DESKTOP-NN U System Manufacturer System manufacturer System Model System Product Name System Type x -based PC System SKU SKU Processor Intel R Core TM i - K CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date American Megatrends Inc SMBIOS Version Embedded Controller Version BIOS Mode UEFI BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC BaseBoard Model Not Available BaseBoard Name Base Board Platform Role Desktop Secure Boot State Off PCR Configuration Binding Not Possible Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot quot User Name DESKTOP-NN U mike Time Zone Central Daylight Time Installed Physical Memory RAM GB Total Physical Memory GB Available Physical Memory GB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/53764-event-id-7000-device-attached-system-not-functioning.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Does someone has any idea what this error means and above all ... how to avoid this?

Thanks
=
Type : Error
Date : 25-08-2015
Time : 10:42:14
Event : 3
Source :Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
Description: Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 3221225864
=

A:Event ID 3 - Session "ReadyBoot" stopped - error: 3221225864

Anybody out there knows what these errors mean and how to avoid them?

Thanks
=

Event: 103
Source: Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler
Description: Task Scheduler failed to start instance "{B8A1B72D-DFBA-41A9-A6F2-3CB2EAB79719}" of "\Microsoft\Windows\NetCfg\BindingWorkItemQueueHandler" task for user "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" .
Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942402.
Event: 202
Source: Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler
Description: Task Scheduler failed to complete task "\Microsoft\Windows\NetCfg\BindingWorkItemQueueHandler" , instance "{B8A1B72D-DFBA-41A9-A6F2-3CB2EAB79719}" , action "Binding Engine Task Handler" .
Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942402.

=

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/18985-event-id-3-session-readyboot-stopped-error-3221225864-a.html
Relevancy 75.25%

several times i am having a problem which gives below error report.suddenly appear blue screen message and laptop is going to restart quickly and even there is not a time to read that blue screen message...i have attached diagnostic report folder(according to the instruction of Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions)...i hope really good answers from you...

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: fe
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000000000006
BCP3: 0000000000000005
BCP4: FFFFFA8005751C80
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\090212-35037-01.dmp
C:\Users\Tharinda\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-69342-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

A:error with automatically restart -"Problem Event Name: BlueScreen"

The problem is with a driver usbhub.sys. Hopefully this can be fixed quickly. Remove all of your usb hardware, printer, usb drives etc. If the system does not crash reinstall one by one, giving the computer time to crash before installing the next.
If this does not work, go to device manager and uninstall the universal serial business controllers one by one. Reinstall before uninstalling the next.Hopefully this will solve your problem
Before taking any actin make a system restore point just in case

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/250486-error-automatically-restart-problem-event-name-bluescreen.html
Relevancy 75.25%

since about months ago my computer has been experiencing multiple BSOD s per day upon looking in the event viewer ever single time and event with something to do with a quot VSS service quot with towards viewer pointing service" event BSODs frequent "VSS is the last thing before the crash i find this strange as looking into this vss is a backup program for xp and server i have no idea why this is on my system what it does or why i need it after trying to use some debugging tools it seems that i cannot access the dmp files on my own frequent BSODs with event viewer pointing towards "VSS service" computer logged in as an administrator with full privileges with all file security options in my anti-virus off my system is a x vista business the crahses occur almost at random doing anything from playing a game using Firefox typing a notepad file or just leaving the thing on and not frequent BSODs with event viewer pointing towards "VSS service" doing anything for more than minutes the system will still crash at the log in screen leaving me to believe that this is not an overheating issue i have tried to disable all programs with mscofig but i still get a crash i have even had crashes in sleep mode as well as in the process of a normal shutdown i have no new updates in windows update and have installed all of the new drivers for every device i can find them for any and all help would greatly be appreciated nbsp

A:frequent BSODs with event viewer pointing towards "VSS service"

Hi this is about vss and what you can do with it http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...tem-restore-disk-space-limit-in-explorer-gui/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/frequent-bsods-with-event-viewer-pointing-towards-vss-service.879828/
Relevancy 75.25%

I recently swaped out a power supply to replace a broken one in another computer. Now this computer has no power supply, but I have another spare ATX that fits, so I screwed it into the computer, powered it up, and it works. Except after like 3 mins the fans seem to die down. After another minute, the computer gives a "Computer shutdown due to thermal events" error. Does this mean I put in the wrong type of power supply? Is the fan messed up?

A:Power supply causing "Thermal event error"?

It probably means it is not sufficient power or is dying.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-causing-thermal-event-error.736059/
Relevancy 75.25%

I am trying to get rid of event viewer errors and warnings at bootup. This one still eludes me. It appears to be a driver error related to my Epson RX680 printer. Can someone give me a few tips on how to narrow it down further?

"The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_EPSON&PROD_STYLUS_STORAGE&REV_1.0 0#9&2856B3B7&0&070E018870865F0000&0#"

TIA

A:Event 219 "WUDFRd failed to load " warning at bootup

What have you already tried to fix the issue? Have you tried looking for an updated driver from epsons website?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/307307-event-219-wudfrd-failed-load-warning-bootup.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Log Name: System
Source: volmgr
Date: 12/4/2007 2:48:06 PM
Event ID: 46
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Home
Description:
Crash dump initialization failed!
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="volmgr" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">46</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-12-04T19:48:06.937Z" />
<EventRecordID>21840</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Home</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\HarddiskVolume1</Data>

<Binary>0000000001000000000000002E0004C001100000010000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

A:Plese Help "Event ID 46 Crash Dump Initialization failed!"

*up*

I get this very same error every time I boot (startup, not shutdown). It appears twice in the system log ("Crash dump initialization failed!" by volmgr with event id 46). I have absolutely no issues with my Vista but I'd like to get rid of this error nevertheless. So far I've been unable to track the source of the problem.

I have SP1 and the latest updates installed.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/111261-plese-help-event-id-46-crash-dump-initialization-failed.html