Windows Support Forum

How will removing partition effect boot manager

Q: How will removing partition effect boot manager

I should know the answer to this question but my mind isn't working. I have done this before but can't remember how *exactly* I did it.

I took my sister's 150GB HD and set her up with a dual boot with Windows 7 and XP. She now wants me to take Windows 7 off and just use XP for a while. If I use a 3rd party partitioning tool to remove the Windows 7 partition FROM WITHIN XP, will this screw up the boot manager? I think it should be fine. Just take out the partition and extend the XP partition into the free space and it should just boot to XP. Is this correct?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How will removing partition effect boot manager

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How will removing partition effect boot manager

Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd

I should know the answer to this question but my mind isn't working. I have done this before but can't remember how *exactly* I did it.

I took my sister's 150GB HD and set her up with a dual boot with Windows 7 and XP. She now wants me to take Windows 7 off and just use XP for a while. If I use a 3rd party partitioning tool to remove the Windows 7 partition FROM WITHIN XP, will this screw up the boot manager? I think it should be fine. Just take out the partition and extend the XP partition into the free space and it should just boot to XP. Is this correct?

Your message implies your sister's HDD:
1. Started with new HDD
2. Installed w7 first
3. Installed XP

Was this the case, or did the machine come with XP installed,
then w7 installed afterwards?

When you boot XP, with hidden/system files 'showing', does there exist
both 'ntldr' and 'ntdetect.com' and the w7 'bootmgr' on the C: drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/24469-how-will-removing-partition-effect-boot-manager.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I loaded a hard disk formatted as a Windows Primary Disk onto my SATA controller. The BIOS sees the disk. In this case I want to load the new disk as a secondary drive (of course I have booted with a different hard disk). I load the Partition Manager and inside I find that the partition manger does not see the new disk. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the new disk being a Windows 7 primary boot partition as well. I was hoping to get a drive letter mapped to it so I could extract some data from that disk. What should I be doing when this occurs?

Thank you...

A:Partition Manager. Primary Boot Partition as Secondary Drive.

Have you tried Disk Management? Right click computer and select manage, in the left column select disk management. In the lower portion of the window you will see each hard drive with drive letters. If you see one with no drive letter, right click it and select 'change drive letter or path, next screen select add, and pick whatever drive letter you would like from the drop down list. Once it gives it a drive letter, you will be able to see it in explorer. If you have data on the drive you would like to keep, Do Not format it, if Disk Management wants to.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/330976-partition-manager-primary-boot-partition-secondary-drive.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a dual boot environment with two Win XP installed on different disks, XP1 and XP2 . XP1 was installed first and contains the boot files (NTLDR, boot.ini...) and XP2 came second. Now, I would like to keep XP2 and get rid of XP1. How can i delete XP1 since it contains the boot files? if i delete XP1 i am afraid to not be able to boot on XP2..., thanks

Relevancy 62.78%

I have 2 hard disks with Windows Xp installed on each. When I boot up I get the choice to load either operating system. I wish to remove the (not used) XP version on the second disk. Can I just delete it from windows when I have loaded the initial XP (C drive)? Or should I just leave it? Might it be useful one day? I am asking as I am about to copy the contents of both disks onto a new single hard drive. Thanks.

A:Removing second boot partition

wat is exact problem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-second-boot-partition.785512/
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a Windows 7 laptop that has 3 partitions on it with only one booting Operating System on the Hard Drive. One of the partitions contains a previous version of Win7 on it that became corrupted and I had to install my current version of Win7 on a newer primary partition which Windows boots straight into.

I no longer need to use the previous O/S and it takes up 17.6GB which I think is now unnecessary to retain (and is hogging up valuable Gigs that I could really make use of due to nagging pop-up that tells me that disk [partition] is running out of space) and would like to know if I can safely remove the old O/S from the partition and still retain the other data on the partition and how I can best go about removing the old O/S?

A:Removing non-dual boot O/S from partition....

Hi and welcome.

Please post a screen shot of your Disk Management window so that we can better understand what you have.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/395778-removing-non-dual-boot-o-s-partition.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a Windows 7 laptop that has 3 partitions on it with only one booting Operating System on the Hard Drive. One of the partitions contains a previous version of Win7 on it that became corrupted and I had to install my current version of Win7 on a newer primary partition which Windows boots straight into.

I no longer need to use the previous O/S and it takes up 17.6GB which I think is now unnecessary to retain (and is hogging up valuable Gigs that I could really make use of due to nagging pop-up that tells me that disk [partition] is running out of space) and would like to know if I can safely remove the old O/S from the partition and still retain the other data on the partition and how I can best go about removing the old O/S?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395778-removing-non-dual-boot-o-s-partition.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Help I decided last night to remove the XP partition from my dual boot and keep Vista Home Premium When I made the dual boot I already had XP installed and just partitioned the drive and installed vista on Boot Vista from Removing Partition XP Dual the second partition using Vista boot pro to change the boot order I searched last night and came upon this website http www howtogeek com forum topic removing-xp-on-a-dula-boot-config and used it to remove the partition Before I started I Removing XP Partition from Vista Dual Boot used vista boot pro on the vista partition and deleted the XP entry so that it would only boot into Vista I then booted using Gparted and deleted the XP partition and resized my vista partition When I restarted it came up with an error message so I booted into the Vista DVD to repair but it doesnt give me the option to select my vista drive to repair I think the XP partiton may have been the sytem partition Help please Steve nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-xp-partition-from-vista-dual-boot.823554/
Relevancy 61.49%

my Western Digital HD came with a Data Lifeguard Tools diskette that can format and create partitions... but I want to try to create a new partition out of free space on an existing partition.

I cannot load windows I can only boot from diskette. even after running set up it says No Operating System. so is there a program I can download and save on a diskette that will allow me to manage my partitions?

through set up I was able to see the files and partitions still alive on the drive through DOS prompt (recovery console)

thanks

Petra

Relevancy 61.06%

I just purchased an Envy - c with Win Not liking that OS I attempted to remove it couldn't so I wiped the drive including partitions recovery everything I then formatted it to the Win spec no partitions one T HDD which i made HD and one G HD they both have been wiped and reformatted I changed the boot sequence to boot to the CD first enabled legacy devices sector partition, or ... no my Wiped removing Win10, boot HDD's I understood that installing a new OS would reinstall a boot sectore etc nbsp With a newly purchased Win Pro disc the machine will boot to the CD open the language time and currency format keyboard menue but i have no Wiped my HDD's removing Win10, no boot sector or partition, ... keyboard of mouse to make a selection to continue the install Mouse and KB are USB devices and ports are all enabled nbsp I have tried everything I know to get this thing up and running I'm relatively computer savvy having started many years ato with a Commodore and tons of computer repair and configuration in the past This thing has me baffled and I need to get it going nbsp Thanks for the support Solved View Solution

A:Wiped my HDD's removing Win10, no boot sector or partition, ...

Normally the plastic piece in the middle of the port is blue, in comparison to the other USB ports, and those marked with SS are going to USB 3.0. The SS is supposed to indicate high (super) speed. A port with a lightning bolt in the symbol is going to be a high power USB port, appropriate for charging devices via USB. I hope that helps.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Wiped-my-HDD-s-removing-Win10-no-boot-sector-or-partition-no/td-p/5575590
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello I have Installed Windows XP like ages ago and then there was some error with the XP back then while booting up so I called up my technician He dual booted my system with Windows Ultimate I've stopped using XP since a while so after Dual XP partition removing Windows not from Boot Booting 7 I thought of removing I from my system The XP files and Windows were on two different partitions of same Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot HDD So I used Minitool Partition wizard to remove Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot the Partition in which XP files were there It even prompted a message saying that I may Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot not be able to boot if I format the specific Partition I clicked on continue and it showed me that the specific partition is in use and the asked me to restart it and minitool will delete it by itself while restarting And after it deleted the XP partition my system can't Boot Windows now I just don't get it I've even lost my Windows OS DVD to try repair the OS Can anyone help me to Boot into my Windows without losing any data from that Partition

A:Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot

Why didn`t you listen to the message ?

You deleted your Active partition now windows 7 won`t boot.

Your windows 7 partition must 1st be marked Active, then startup repair must be run to write the system files to the Windows 7 partition.

Without an install dvd or a system repair disc, you can`t do that. You can easily make a system repair disc on another Windows 7 PC, all you need is a blank cd and a cd burner. But it has to be the same bit version (32 or 64) and Service Pack version as the version you are trying to repair.

Others may have another method. They will post it.

Or call your Tech

System Repair Disc - Create

Startup Repair

Partition - Mark as Active

You can also make and use a Partition Wizard Boot CD

Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/388248-windows-7-not-booting-after-removing-xp-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I am running Win XP PRO as one boot option, and WIN HOME as another.

I want to remove the Win XP PRO and then utilize the space for my WIN HOME directory.

I am looking to increase my usable hard drive in WIN HOME.

Can this be done?

A:Removing dual-boot OS and partition to increase space

Not easily, and it depends somewhat on what was installed first, and what Service Packs were on those first two installs of Windows XP..
I assume that Windows XP Professional was the primary install, because it normally will not tolerate being second to XP Home.

If it were my machine, I would buy a new hard drive and install Windows XP Professional, then install this current drive as a slave, and remove what you want to the new drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-dual-boot-os-and-partition-to-increase-space.135757/
Relevancy 61.06%

My single hard drive has 1 primary partition and 3 logical drives in the extended partition.

The primary partition had XP installed on it and is obviously the Active partition(got drive letter C).
I then installed 7 on one of the logical drives.(got drive letter D).

The boot loader(I am assuming) is probably on the Active partition.

I am trying to delete the primary partition as I dont need the XP any longer --to claim some space on the drive.

What's the easiest way to accomplish this?

A:Removing the active partition in a dual boot setup

It appears you know the primary partition is active and the boot files are there. Since you cannot make a logical partition active, then it should follow you need to make another partition primary to be able to make it active.

You can use Partition Wizard to make a logical partition a primary partition. I will assume you will choose the Win 7 partition. You can then make it active and run the Win 7 Startup Repair 2 or 3 times to get Win 7 to boot from it.

After that, moving or resizing partitions can be done with Partition Wizard, but be aware it can be risky, so back up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/69419-removing-active-partition-dual-boot-setup.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I have Windows 7 dual booted on partitions C: and F: with data partitions D: & E: in between them. I would like to bring the Windows 7 under F: to D: by removing the current D: & E: and extending the size of the C: partition using the space created by the original D: and E: partitions.

My main question is whether the boot manager will be effected by the Windows 7 under F: being moved to D:?

My second question, is with respects to the applications installed on this OS, which are all installed under the Program folder on the same partition of the OS. Will these still work?

I am using Acronis Disk Director 11 to do this.

A:Boot Manager effected by OS partition being moved?

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk management drive map and listings, using the Snipping Tool found in Start Menu: Screen Shots

I understand you want to delete D and E and extend C into that space. Do you want to keep Win7 on F or delete it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/214237-boot-manager-effected-os-partition-being-moved.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Is there a dynamic partition manager out there for Win 7...something like what Partition Manager used to be? Also, I'm thinking of adding a version of Linux to my system and I'm looking for an easy to use boot-manager-editor to use in Win 7?

A:Partition and Boot-manager-editor needed?

The Win 7 boot manager is OK - I'm using it on a dual boot Win 7 Ultimate / Linux drive and on a second Win 2008 R2 / Linux drive. In the past I used GRUB as Windows didn't have a "good" boot manager, but happy with Win 7.

As for a partition manager, I use EASEUS Partition Master (free for home use):

EASEUS FREE Partition Manager Software. Free Partition Magic alternative for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008. Hard Drive partition software.

Regards,
GEWB

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/145311-partition-boot-manager-editor-needed.html
Relevancy 61.06%

For years I've been using System Commander as my boot manager specifically because it supports booting multiple versions of DOS from a single partition. However, I'm now attempting to create a VM for VirtualBox and VMWare, and encountering strange behavior that prevents my entering the serial number on installation. Specifically, the registration screen has three fields for the serial number, but when I attempt to type a number in the first field, the cursor jumps to the second field and inserts the number there. Both SC7 and 8 exhibit the same behavior.

So first, has anyone encountered this and found a work-around?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend an alternative boot manager? The one absolute requirement is that it must support booting multiple versions of DOS from a single partition. None of the other boot managers I've looked at support this.

Nathaniel CJE Culver

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-manager-multiple-oses-in-same-partition.657759/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello,
i have a Packard Bell Dot S2 Netbook. When i bought it, i made 2 partitions for Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Then I wanted to remove Ubuntu, so i deleted his partition. Now, when i restart, i read only "Grub rescue >".
I read in this forum that i should reinstall Windows 7 using the CD, but my netbook can't read CDs!
I can use another pc with Windows 7....can i use it to fix the problem?
Thanks

A:Removing Ubuntu partition from Netbook, Windows 7 doesn't boot.

Welcome to Seven Forums.

You can create a w7 installer on a USB flash drive and reinstall with that. For how see here: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Download the iso file for your w7 version from here, Dell Community Sometime the iso will not work the first time and requires a re-download.

Here is a tutorial with all the above info. USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/274876-removing-ubuntu-partition-netbook-windows-7-doesnt-boot.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

A:Removing Windows 7 from the Primary partition of a Dual Boot system.

What kind of BIOS you have? UEFI or Legacy (MBR)?
Can you give us a snapshot of disk manager?
Do you have a external HDD to make a backup image of your Win 7 pro partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I am dual booting with Win98SE on my original/older drive and have WinXP on the second/new harddrive.

I want to remove the old harddrive and Win98SE. I tried following some help guides on TSG but I'm stuck at making the new drive the active partition.....

I haven't been able to find something that tells me how to do this.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Thanks,
Brian

BTW: Please!, I don't want to reinstall WinXP again.

Relevancy 60.2%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 59.77%

How do I get rid of the attached dialog on a Windows 7 boot up?

Its a remnant of a boot mode disc partition resize - Everything went according to plan but the message kept on coming back. I managed to find out what file I needed to delete to get back into windows which I can now do but the dislog still comes up every time I boot the laptop. I do not need to press a key everytime to get into windows!

A:Partition Manager Boot Mode dialog box staying on screen

I have fixed in myself - Using Sysinternals Autoruns I deleted the entry in the registry at:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Session Manager\BootExecute

All sorted now!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/266251-partition-manager-boot-mode-dialog-box-staying-screen.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,

im currently running the clearscreen sharp theme by k-johnson and was wondering if i decided to make my own, is it possible to remove the white lines u see behind the taskbar and the blur aswell? ive used the utilities which removes blur from the whole theme such as behind the close buttons etc but its too difficult to read with more than one window open.

i plan on making the taskbar look sort of like a dock.. but id want to remove the background, the white lines and the blur so it doesnt look weird where the spaces between the start button and time etc are.

A:Removing Glass effect and blur from taksbar?

I don't think there's any way to clear blur on the taskbar alone, ie leaving other parts of the system unaffected. The 'white lines' can be removed though it's not a straightforward procedure and will require the use of Style Builder (sadly not free!)

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/93815-removing-glass-effect-blur-taksbar.html
Relevancy 57.62%

After using rkill.com followed by Malwarebytes executions I seemed to have rid my PC, that's running Windows XP, of the AV Security Suite screen that showed the fake scans and fake infections. I seem to have most of the control of applicaations back except the error screens that get in the way of everything I try to do and incessantly pop up every 3 seconds (average). The error message reads: GetDriveLayout: CreateFile fail ! The system cannotf ind the file specified.F.Y.I. - The dds.scr file would not work. What came out in Notepad was chinese hyroglypics that couldn't be read. Only readable line was at top that read something like "cannot run in Dos"

A:After effect of removing AV Security Suite malware

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323430/after-effect-of-removing-av-security-suite-malware/
Relevancy 57.62%

Just wanted to know what effects it would have on my network if i were to remove the client for microsoft networks in my network protocols and just leave TCP/IP protocol as the only one. Would this speed things up a bit or does this really not make a big difference in net performance?

A:Effect of removing client for Microsoft Networks

Originally posted by 40 oz.
Just wanted to know what effects it would have on my network if i were to remove the client for microsoft networks in my network protocols and just leave TCP/IP protocol as the only one. Would this speed things up a bit or does this really not make a big difference in net performance?

You can remove it. It will get rid of the network neibourghood icon if you have one. It really doesn't give you any performance as far as I know

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/effect-of-removing-client-for-microsoft-networks.658/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi I have four hard disks and three operating systems Windows Ubuntu and Fedora and I want advice on partitioning the disks In my opinion I have two options Install all the operating systems on one hard disk since only one partition will be in use at a time and use the other three for different purposes like download storage media storage and Virtualbox disk file storage etc Potential Advantage that the OSes can have concurrent access for different jobs e g Virtualbox download and media-serving activities simultaneously more space for the data partitions Potential Disadvantage the OSes installed in the latter part of the OS disk will be lower in performance Install the OSes Performance Placement Partition Effect on of at the beginning of three of the disks and the other data partitions on the remaining part of the disks Potential Advantage Better performance of all the OSes in general Potential Disadvantage Lesser space for data partitions How do you think I should use the disk How much benchmark results statistics will be very helpful of an impact does the placement at the beginning or at the end of a hard disk partition has on performance

A:Effect of Partition Placement on Performance

It had a lot more impact in the past when we were dealing with slower drives, IDE controllers, and 33 or 66Mhz system buses. But with modern systems there is very little real-life performance gains from drive position, even with mechanical spinning hard drives.

I am sure that the speed difference is still there and could be picked up by benchmark software, but the difference in today's machines would be measured in milliseconds, not full seconds.

I used to set up a small partition in the beginning of a second hard drive just to use as a page file in order to boost performance (which seemed to make a noticeable difference at the time. But I did the same thing on my new machine when I first set it up and it made no difference at all. With the speed of today's hardware it is just splitting hairs, IMHO.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/223390-effect-partition-placement-performance.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I just had a strange experience I don't know how to interpret I got a used laptop that was distressed and would not boot I pulled the GB SATA II drive and ran some tests on it and was dismayed to find transfer rates of drive Stange partition on effect performance of under MB s I ran CHKDSK on it which produced no errors and did not change the performance The drive passed all SMART and self-tests So I put the drive back in its machine and began to try to repair the boot That led to trying to do a Stange effect of partition on drive performance factory recovery but that also failed Finally I decided to Stange effect of partition on drive performance install Win afresh from a DVD and as part of that I deleted the two existing installation partitions and let Windows create new ones That went very smoothly and after all the dust settled I ran some performance tests on the drive Stange effect of partition on drive performance again Now the drive was clocking somewhere in the MB s range Great news but I'm trying to figure out what changed The machine had been dropped so I feared HDD damage There is one CRC SMART error but aside from that everything is perfect I don't know what reformatting the partitions has to do with drive performance

A:Stange effect of partition on drive performance

Probably a bad sector that had been written to previously, then damaged. If the damaged sector contains data the OS needs then you have trouble. When you run chkdsk /r or format a drive the system will try and mark bad sectors as unusable and ignore (skip) them. So your new install will have all the data it needs available.

Probably a good idea to run the manufacturer's diagnostic - extended test - on the drive to be sure. I have seen drives pass the SMART checks but fail the extended tests.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/275852-stange-effect-partition-drive-performance.html
Relevancy 54.61%

With the help of this forum and the Partition Wizard I have successfully installed Windows 7 64 bit on a separate partition (H) on my hard drive and I now have a dual boot system. The other partition (C:OS) runs Vista 32 bit OS.

The problem I have is that all my programs, files and settings are on the Vista partition. So I would like to remove Vista and merge the two partitions so that Windows 7 has access to my existing data and programs.

I have read a number of threads re merging, etc but I can't find one that specifically refers to my issue.

Thanks for your help.

A:Removing Vista from Dual Boot but retaining progs on Vista partition

Hi Paul, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Your issue is a typical upgrade issue, Internet in general and our forums in particular are full of advice in how to do it. As there's no way you can transfer your installed programs to your new Windows 7 installation, you have exactly two options.

Option 1, finish what you have already started:Copy your personal files from Vista partition to respective folders on Seven partition. You can do it manually or for instance using Windows Easy Transfer. Notice that your installed programs will not work on Seven even if you copy them and their folders to Seven
Delete the Vista partition
Use the free space (old Vista partition) to increase the size of the Seven partition
Re-install all your programs

Option 2, start from beginning:Do an in-place upgrade install, installing Seven on top of your Vista instead of clean install to another partition as you have done now. This option keeps all your installed programs and files exactly where there are now, no need to re-install them

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/315878-removing-vista-dual-boot-but-retaining-progs-vista-partition.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello Guys,
I want to remove the "windows boot manager" on my HD that is installed with Windows 7, or do not want that screen when I start the computer and there is the option to choose which system to boot. I have only Windows 7 installed on your computer.
Thanks, Samuel

A:Removing "Windows Boot Manager"

Welcome to SF!

Uncheck this box in System Properties:
There you go!

~JK

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/81658-removing-windows-boot-manager.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi Folks I have contrived to partition active without partition? removing to change data from How get two active partitions on my PC After a week old hard drive D amp F - died I replaced now F amp G it with an old drive that had previously been configured with XP and as a boot drive I don t think it is acting as boot as drive C has an active partition and boot and largely the computer runs fine with the exception of G not being search index able And there being a phantom path in the backup which I can t reset So the question How do I remove the active setting on G it holds all the variable windows data and will it lose all the data Im at that point where a little knowledge is dangerous and have seen some genius replies so thought I would ask and see if you could help me out See attached screen shot NB The old drive partitions were formatted before being repopulated

A:How to change active partition without removing data from partition?

Hello and welcome to the forums MarkRocketman!

You can easily change the active/inactive flag on a partition easily by following these steps:-

Removing the Active Flag from a Partition
(on a drive that's not currenly being used as a boot drive)

First, open an elevated command prompt in Windows:-

1. Click Start Orb
2. In search box, type cmd
3. Right-click on cmd.exe, and choose 'Run as Administrator'

In the elevated command prompt type in the following commands:-

Diskpart
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK n (where n is the number of the HDD in question)
LIST PARTITION
SELECT PARTITION n (where n is the number of the Partition that holds G)
INACTIVE
Hope that helps!

EDIT:- As a supplementary addition here's how change it back to active:-

LIST PARTITION
SELECT PARTITION n (where n is the number of the Partition you want to activate)
ACTIVE
Exit (to exit Diskpart)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/238800-how-change-active-partition-without-removing-data-partition.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have Asus Maximus V formula z77 with latest EUFI firmware, and EVGA GTX 680 classified with EUFI firmware. Bios is set to fast boot etc, and it is enabled in windows, but I'm seeing no difference from before. I was using boot racer and seeing 11-14 second windows load times with another 10-15 til desktop. Averaging around 28 second boot speeds, whether from a fast boot shut down or a restart. My OS drive is a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB.

Any insight here? My windows 7 booted faster on an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB.

A:Fast boot no effect

~10 second boot time to desktop here with a 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD and Windows Fast Startup disabled. My laptop is set to auto logon. The times you posted are about what I get on my desktop PC with a normal spinner hard drive. I don't know what's wrong but it would appear that something isn't right?

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/31995-fast-boot-no-effect.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I just solved my own problem and thought others might benefit since I could not find the solution using internet search My Realtek HD Audio manager seemed to be creating an echo on my quot Line In quot HD Audio Realtek "line from effect) (if in" echo it Removing output sound not a is audio signal I had already set the environment and equalizer sound effects options to lt None gt but the echo persisted I found the problem seems that I was essentially duplicating the Removing "line in" echo from Realtek HD Audio output (if it is not a sound effect) Line In audio stream The first quot source quot I found was the HD Audio manager You can open the manager and view the Line In tab - mine had a non-zero playback volume the slider was NOT all the way to Removing "line in" echo from Realtek HD Audio output (if it is not a sound effect) the left for zero playback If you want Removing "line in" echo from Realtek HD Audio output (if it is not a sound effect) output from the HD Manager that makes sense I also found out a second Line In quot source quot It was in the Line In properties settings where I had checked off the option to quot Listen to this device quot When I disabled that the echo disappeared To view this Line In properties tab right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area then select Recording Devices yes quot Recording quot Then the tab will display in a window with the title Sound You should see the Line In device in the list Right-click on this item and select Properties The Line In properties window pops up Then select the Listen tab UNselect Listen to this device The echo should disappear if you re experiencing my problem I hope this helps someone I m just trying to help the community from which I ve received so much help grinthumb nbsp

A:Removing "line in" echo from Realtek HD Audio output (if it is not a sound effect)

Two same signals

You're doing the right thing... getting rid of the other input signal.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-line-in-echo-from-realtek-hd-audio-output-if-it-is-not-a-sound-effect.178881/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi guys...
I just plugged my Onkyo 6.1 Channel (S-680) to my computer. I connected the receiver to the Digital Out port of my motherboard (Intel 915GV Chipset-Asus PTGD1 - LA). It uses the Realtek ALC880 drivers. Whenever I open Sound Effect Manager and do the Speaker Test, sound comes only from my front speakers. The rears/centre/sub all light up but no sound is played. However, while running games/music/films I get sound from all my speakers (though not very satisfactory and not real surround sound). Can anyone please help me with this?

Also, I can't open Realtek HD Audio Manager (RTHDCPL.exe). Only RTLCPL.exe (Sound Effect Manager) works. When I click on RTHDCPL.exe nothing happens. Please do help out.

Thanks.

A:No Sound From Surround/Centre/Subwoofer In Realtek Sound Effect Manager Test

try this:

1) try to go to the settings of your sound effect manager & there are selections there for 2.0,2.1.5.1 or what ever you may find that corresponds to your speaker channel.

2) if nothing corresponds to the given selections,try to download the latest audio driver from your motherboard's manufacturer website.

3) otherwise,you need to plug-in a sound card that has the feature to play with 6.1 channel audio.

goodluck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-from-surround-centre-subwoofer-in-realtek-sound-effect-manager-test.92298/
Relevancy 50.31%

Dell Inspiron Laptop computer with Windows XP Professional fully updated Working fine yesterday today it won t boot After the initial screen the screen goes blank with a blinking cursor boot; all no XP far so have blank screen effect after fixes in the upper left hand corner Pressing F does NOT bring up Save Mode or anything else F for Setup and F for boot options work normally I have done ALL of the following with no change Ran diagnostics with no problems detected Booted from DVD into Recovery Console Both FIXBOOT and FIXMBR were done with Success messages returned Booted from DVD into Windows and selected Repair installation Everything said it completed successfully but none of this had any effect What else could be wrong and how can it be XP blank screen after boot; all fixes have no effect so far fixed One other piece of information I booted from a Ubuntu DVD and Ubuntu detected XP blank screen after boot; all fixes have no effect so far all hardware the filesystem and user files So the disk is OK and user files are still there So the ONLY thing not working is Windows on the hard disk What else can I do Thanks in advance for any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Which would you say is better: Ranish partition manager or Boot it? Or something else?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-partition-manager-besides-partition-magic.102702/
Relevancy 49.88%

I was running Windows XP Home Edition SP not sure if my actions windows boot Locked loop, no repair has effect into a changed this Athlon GA- VAXP GB RAM GB Raid I experienced a random reboot that locked into a reboot cycle until I disabled GoBack this seemed to fix the issues although I had some sever performance issues at this point boot took about x longer than normal For that reason I ran Norton System Works s button checkup and accepted all changes After the reboot from this I got an Explorer Locked into a boot loop, windows repair has no effect exe application error xc which prevented anything other than my wallpaper form loading After checking the Microsoft forums the only solution I could attempt was running the Windows repair from the installation CD During the repair run I had a COM error from csetuputil cpp stating it could not locate catsrv dll I accepted that and the run appeared to continue normally Later during the run I received notification that directdb dll wab dll inetcomm dll and msoe dll were missing or corrupted The repair seemed to finish normally after this until it attempted to reboot The usual XP load screen popped up screen went blank cursor appeared and then the system rebooted this loop had continued for - cycles until I shut the system down I then booted into the recovery console and attempted to copy the corrupted files in but the Program Files directory was inaccessible the two I was able to copy in catsrv dll and inetcomm dll had no effect on the boot nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/locked-into-a-boot-loop-windows-repair-has-no-effect.548573/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello I used Partition Magic to try and install another operating system on which I failed - that s when I wonder If someone might HELP! magic changed cant boot and Partition I my partition boot! now help First I wanted to install Windows XP x and Partition magic changed my boot partition and now I cant boot! HELP! used Partition Magic to make a new partition through the install another OS wizard Well the PC Rebooted that scandisk lookalike screen started - showing the creation and Partition magic changed my boot partition and now I cant boot! HELP! resizing of new partition - and then it rebooted again But this time It said that there were no Disks available or the Disk was inactive or sth So tried to boot from Windows x CD and didn t make it but I think that there s something wrong with the WINDOWS CD Then tried to boot from a beta Longhorn DVD that I had and had installed somewhere in time but decided to keep XP Install didn t make it it kept recalling the same install windows view read me page Now I guessed there WAS something wrong with the new partition maybe the boot was set to the new empty of OS partition What the hell do I do now Can t install new OS can t normally boot can t configure partitions For the sake of everything that s good help me I work at home run a recently set up home studio and never made a back up yet Would it be gb of lost audio Really appreciate since then nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-magic-changed-my-boot-partition-and-now-i-cant-boot-help.590248/
Relevancy 48.16%

i havent used this one pc for a while for i didnt have a monitor for it. i just got an old one from a friend, but it cant display the resolution that my last monitor could. i try to change the resolution is safe mode, but it still goes our of range during normal boot?
any ideas of how i can change the resolution for normal boot?

Relevancy 47.73%

I'm a long-time reader but new poster I am currently running Windows I want to install Windows XP onto another disc and have a dual-boot setup I keep Windows up to date and secure but for the XP partition I would rather not have antivirus running or even installed in order to limit background processes I will not be logging into any place partition OS boot partition access w/Bitlocker a dual encrypted Can if or making any credit card purchases when booted into Windows XP It will just be used for surfing games etc Further if and when XP becomes compromised or buggy I will simply overwrite the partition with a backup image If I use Bitlocker to lock down the Windows partition with the encryption key on a thumb drive and boot into Windows XP Can OS partition access a dual boot partition if encrypted w/Bitlocker am I correct in thinking the XP installation see or can't access the Windows partition If XP gets compromised can a virus access or write to the Windows partition Is there any other reason why this would not be secure Can a virus write to the BIOS Thanks to anyone who can help

A:Can OS partition access a dual boot partition if encrypted w/Bitlocker

Please, any response would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/249810-can-os-partition-access-dual-boot-partition-if-encrypted-w-bitlocker.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I dual W7 partition HDD exisiting on existing from boot partition create would like to create a bootable partition from an existing Win partition I have two partitions create dual boot partition from exisiting W7 partition on existing HDD bootable now Both Win - one with dragon dictate and various software I am trying out on a TB drive and the other is my regular boot partition on an SSD with the system reserved partition I would like to create an exact image of the regular SSD boot partition on the TB drive with the existing win dragon partition and other data drives to do an upgrade to win avoiding reinstall of lots of additional software I have read lots of threads on related topics but haven't seen one that can help with this problem I have tried acronis DD copying the partition but it isn't bootable and easyBCD adds it but it always defaults to the dragon partition when selecting it from the boot menu I do have acronis and plus versions as well as disk director Also just downloaded partition wizard but thought I might try a question first If there is a thread I missed that has the solution please point me there Thanks in advance

A:create dual boot partition from exisiting W7 partition on existing HDD

After re-imaging the partition to HD choosing Auto drive letter selection, Active partition and include MBR and Track0, unplug all other HDs, set target HDD first HD to boot in BIOS (after DVD drive), confirm partition is still marked Active then run Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts with the System Active flags onboard.

If you are including the 100mb System Reserved partition then all of these things should be done choosing it, so that it remains bootable and starts Win7. Otherwise the steps applied to C will cut out the 100mb System Reserved as boot partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/270661-create-dual-boot-partition-exisiting-w7-partition-existing-hdd.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I essentially decided to use my hard-drive for two different forms of Windows XP and -bit This was some time ago and it ended up with the -bit partition C as my system partition The -bit partition E was considered a Accidentally deleted partition Cannot boot Multiboot, System Partition. other logical drive and I used it almost entirely due to the fact that my CD Key for -bit will no longer work for whatever reason Eventually I decided that I needed the space from the old unused -bit partition and since both partitions had Windows installed on them I thought it d be no problem to just delete -bit and merge the remaining space with my -bit partition Unfortunately before I got that far I found out that my -bit partition no longer will boot After reading up on it I found out about the system partition and all that stuff that I messed up by deleting the -bit partition I ve tried to use the recovery console via boot CD but when using BootCFG the SCAN function doesn t recognize the -bit partition I ve verified that the files are still there installed another partition with windows and checked via explorer but even with an edited boot ini the Windows XP Home Edition -bit partition won t boot beyond the blue screen windows logo after quot Welcome quot Is there anyway to salvage and fix the partition I d rather avoid losing all the driver installations and registry keys I have on the other partition and would much rather just make that drive the system partition and only partition for now Anyone have ideas

A:Multiboot, Accidentally deleted System Partition. Cannot boot other partition

Oh. Also, when in Windows Setup, the 32-bit partition in question can be seen, and is stated as "in a format not suitable to Windows Installation" or similar. I can enter it in Recovery Console, but it does not recognize that Windows is installed on it. Partition table?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/423389/multiboot-accidentally-deleted-system-partition-cannot-boot-other-partition/
Relevancy 47.73%

Suddenly my Win Home Premium x table have boot partition 7 Windows not does won't valid the partition - system a will not boot The system starts POSTs then loads the DVD driver then the screen goes black not blank but quot lit up quot black if that makes sense Then nothing If I use Hiren's boot cd I can boot up using the quot boot from HDD quot option fine and Windows operates normally System restore to a previous configuration made no difference to the original problem I cannot boot into Safe Mode F just offers me Windows 7 won't boot - the partition table does not have a valid system partition boot order options Running the Windows DVD I find the following No operating system is listed on the Repair Windows option Running Startup Repair finds the following error quot the partition table does not have a valid system partition quot which it claims to have repaired but the error remains and Windows will still not boot I found a few threads on a Google search and followed this advice in one Quote Boot dvd to system recovery options command prompt Type Diskpart lis vol find the vol letter e g C or partition number e g for the system partition sel vol C or sel vol obviously use the correct letter or number act exi My system partition was easily identified and listed as healthy so I selected it and made it active The problem still remains exactly the same The rest of the advice in that thread isn't relevant to my exact problem and involves additional command prompts which I didn't feel comfortable typing in as I'm a command line idiot My system is self built just over a year ago to my knowledge has been running fine without any hardware issues I'm prepared to do a clean install if that's what it takes but if there is a way to fix the partition problem without that I'd like to explore it first Can anyone help me Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 won't boot - the partition table does not have a valid system partition

Hi did you read the rest of the thread Solved Invalid system partition - Page 2 - Windows 7 Forums
you could always try the info here Ntldr is missing error in windows 7 boot - Microsoft Answers

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-wont-boot-the-partition-table-does-not-have-a-valid-system-partition-607190.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello I have dual boot in my laptop with Ubuntnu LTS Boot: 0xc000000f Win7: failed Manager boot Boot Dual Status: selection and Windows Home Premium bit Today after working on Ubuntu I restarted and switched to Windows and as soon as it logged in I noticed the battery was I thought maybe it was some kind of glitch or something silly me so I just pulled the power supply and the Dual Boot: Win7: Boot Manager Status: 0xc000000f boot selection failed laptop abruptly turned off My laptop battery is completely dead now won't charge at all and after that incident when I tried to log back into Windows it showed this error Windows failed to start A recent hardware of software change might be the cause To fix the problem Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer Choose your language settings and then click quot Next quot Click quot Repair your computer quot If you do not have this disc contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance Status xc f Info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible I don't have an installation disc I tried pressing F and none of the options there helped Ubuntu still works totally fine though So I'm guessing it is not some hard drive crash and my data are fine in Windows but I just can't boot into it Please Help

A:Dual Boot: Win7: Boot Manager Status: 0xc000000f boot selection failed

Are you using GRUB2 as bootmanager and is windows one of the options? Or do you start ubuntu from the win7 boot menu?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/349755-dual-boot-win7-boot-manager-status-0xc000000f-boot-selection-failed.html
Relevancy 47.3%

i bought a dell computer running xp home edititon that had partition magic 8 installed. i am doing some microsoft training and wanted to install windows server 2003 enterprise (a 32 bit evaluation install) on another primary partition.

After creating another prim partition on C: i went ahead and did the 2003 server install on the 2nd partition and rebooted the computer. unfortunatly now i can only boot into 2003 server and not into window xp. while in 2003 server i can't even see the partition but for s and g's i threw an xp boot disk in the computer just to see if the other partition was still there and it showed something like OS/2 INACTIVE.

just wondering if anyone had some advice to get the other partition up and running or if i will have to purchase partition magic to merge the partition back and lose all the data.

thanx

A:[SOLVED] partition magic partition inactive, cant boot

Hello!!!

I am a bit confused mate... Windows XP was installed on what partition??? [C: or D:]
When you have created C: partition for Windows 2003, did you create it during system setup and did you deleted some partition during that action???

Keep us posted...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-partition-magic-partition-inactive-cant-boot-454095.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello everyone I recently got in to some trouble using my good old computer running Windows XP When i installed it i primary boot wrong Lost :( partition partition and decided to make two partition out of my HDD one larger for programs documents and such and one smaller intended only for the OS The idea was that should i for some reason need to reformat and reinstall XP i would not lose valuable documents and photos doing so Well my computer had been quite slow for a while the symptom being that processor was very often working Lost partition and wrong primary boot partition :( at or close to After trying a couple of things i realized that my partition intended for the OS Lost partition and wrong primary boot partition :( was a little small and that removing anything not needed i only had MB or so of free space I then came across programs such as Paragon Partition and Easeus Partition Master Unfortunately both attempts ended in a computer freeze and the computer Lost partition and wrong primary boot partition :( at least in windows losing my larger partition C was no longer to be found causing for instance all my programs to be unable to start since they were installed on C I then used a program called Testdisk to try to get hold of my original partition and remove and corrupt duplicate ones This is where things got messy I believe that i somehow managed to change the primary boot partition causing a readdisk error What was originally a search for some extra partition size has now made me unable to use the computer at all I have so far tried some different things I have started with the XP CD in only to realize that my former d drive the one with the OS on is now labelled C and my former C is now labelled H Having tried to fix it by reinstalled windows on both the new C and the new H without any apparent effect i made my way into the recovery console In the recovery console i have logged into H tried bootcfg rebuild bootcfg default bootcfg add bootcfg list Which only found one of the latest added installations on the new H fixboot fixmbr chkdsk ntldir copy c netdetect com copy c Neither one of these actions has produced any effect and i'm stuck One thing i have left in my mind to try is making a Boot diskette never thouht i would use the floppy again booting of it to reach a palce where i can run fdisk in an effort to change the active partition I have limited computer knowledge and desperately need some help to rectify the situation Thx in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-partition-and-wrong-primary-boot-partition-456823.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello everyone I usually install my OS myself but when I bought this computer I asked the store to install the Windows Professional x disc I purchased with partition system to from boot partition? files EFI Move it Today I decided to do a long long overdue backup to the system partition My backup software of choice is DriveImage XML been using it for years with good resaults however when examining my system partition I couldn't find the boot manager After some searching I found that the boot files are not in the system partition I assume this because disc management shows a MB EFI partition and 'diskpart gt list disk' shows the HDD to be GPT As far as I know DriveImage XML cannot backup the EFI partition and backing up the Windows partition alone will not allow me to restore the computer in case of hard drive failure So my question is Is it possible to remove this UEFI nonsense copy the boot files to the Move boot files from EFI partition to system partition? system partition aka Windows partition drive C and make windows boot from there without uninstalling the OS

A:Move boot files from EFI partition to system partition?

Just try using Macrium Reflect free edition to image both partitions before you make any changes.

Please post a shot of disk management, fully expanded.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372155-move-boot-files-efi-partition-system-partition.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Yeah, so I think my C: Drive is partitioned.
How do I check if it is, and if it is partitioned, should I remove the partition, and how do I go about that?
Note that my C: Drive appears unnaturally small (3.95gb) and is chronically low on space.

Thanks.

~Likinta.

A:Removing a Partition?

Go to start/ run and type
diskmgmt.msc
hit enter

You should see an entry for disk 0 ,with your primary C: partition there on the left
Does it have a big space to the right labled unallocated space?
If so , you can just right click on that space and choose format and it will make that into a D: drive for storage.

Assuming your drive is actually larger than 3.95 GB and you have unallocated space you can do as above; or you can clean install windows to use more of the space. This is probably one of the more complex things to do, since you must be careful or you will wind up with it trying to install two copies of windows on the 3.95GB or installing a second copy on the unallocated space.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_sg_clean.asp
has a nice tutorial
Note step 5. Choose an installation partition
At this point instead of clicking NEXT you select the listed partition and press the D key on your keyboard to Delete it. Then when no partitions are shown and it just says Hard disk 0 xxxxxMB unallocated space; you select that and press the C key to Create new partitions. Specify the size you want in MB (1000MB=1GB so you want 20,000 or 40,000 MB ; I suspect someone got it wrong and thought they were making a 39.5GB partition and typed in 3950MB and wound up with 3.95GB) You repeat this until you finish. The first one you make will be the C: partition , so remember and select it then click next to format it and install windows. You use disk management when finished to format other partitions. Note that if you clean install windows you will loose all your data and only have generic drivers. SO it is adviseable that first off you burn a copy of all your data to cdr disks and that you download any drivers for motherboard chipsets, video card, network card, modem etc you will need and burn them to cdr.

If you discover as above that you have unallocated space and just want to expand the existing partition to make it bigger the best solution is one of two programs which cost a bit Partition Commander is cheaper, Partition Magic better known. These are the two most stable non destructive reparitioning tools. The built in XP partitioning tool is destructive meaning you must destroy a partition and lose all data on it to resize it. These two are non destructive meaning they can take unused space on the drive next to the existing partition and add it on without messing up windows or your drive.
Both of them have very easy to use and understand interfaces and you can just boot to the install cd and use it to resize your windows partition or you can install it and then when launched it will load to ram and reboot the system and you run it from there.

http://visopsys.org/partlogic/
Is a free tool if you are adventureous.

Quote:

Partition Logic is a free hard disk partitioning and data management tool. It can create, delete, format, defragment, resize, and move partitions and modify their attributes. It can copy entire hard disks from one to another.

Quote:

LIMITATIONS

Partition logic does not currently support the following:

* Partitioning of SCSI hard disks, and some SATA hard disks
* Non MS-DOS/MBR-style partition tables (i.e. Sun, BSD, EFI/GPT)
* Formatting filesystems other than FAT and EXT2
* Resizing filesystems other than NTFS (Windows XP filesystems)
* Serial mice
* USB keyboards and mice
* Keyboard layouts other than UK English, US English, Italian, or German

*Note that some of these limitations will be addressed in the upcoming releases.

This means that it can be used to resize your windows XP partition if that drive is formatted NTFS ( just right click on it and choose properties and it will list file system to see if it is). If not you can convert it to NTFS, just ask how.
Note that while it can resize NTFS partitions by merging them with unallocated space on the drive, it... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/removing-a-partition-92327.html
Relevancy 47.3%

(c)13 and (d)55 g partitions
want to merge partitions without just creating a 55g folder in c drive

A:removing partition

I beleive if you use the diskmanager in windows you would first move the data off of the partition to be merged, then delete the partition, then right click the main partition and i beleive it may have an option to extend the partition to claim the now blank space into the main. Therefore you will be left with one 78gig drive partition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-partition.610130/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hey,

First allow you to give you my system info:

Samsung Netbook NC10
Origonally Windows XP Home SP3
Now Installed Windows Vista Home SP1

XP is installed on C: Partition, Vista installed E: partition.

I now want to remove the XP Partition but the Computer Management says my XP Partition is a system and active partition even though there are no XP files left on that partition (Iv deleted them all)

I have used Easy BCD to remove the XP from the BCD and Its gone perfect. But I still cannot format/delete the partition.

What can I do?

I must note that this is my Netbook and I do not have a CD Drive.
I do have Acronis True Image (If that helps)

Thanks.

Relevancy 47.3%

Hello All - Quick question.
I have an Acer Aspire 6530 and it came w/ 2 partitions C: and D: C: (110 GB) is the main one w/ all my data and D: (106GB) is called Data, but only have 2 .mre files less then 33mb each.

Can I delete D: and add the 106GB to my C: w/o having to reinstall Windows?

I've never had to deal w/ partitions before so pls bear w/ me if this is a dumb question. Thx!!

A:Need help in removing partition on HDD.....

Yes, you can do that.

I have no idea what those mre files are. If you want to keep them, move them to C temporarily.

Then delete D in Windows Disk Management. That will generate "unallocated space".

Then expand C to take up the unallocated space, also using Windows Disk Management.

Don't say yes to dynamic partitions, whatever you do.

You should end up with 3 partitions: recovery, C, and OEM.

Most would tell you to put all of your data on D and keep D, but it's your choice. There are certain advantages to keeping a data only partition.

You could shrink C to a much smaller size if needed, and add that saved space to D.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/259864-need-help-removing-partition-hdd.html
Relevancy 47.3%

good day folks, in a nutshell. my roommate did a thorough wipe of his c drive, then installed 7 then 8.1.1. for some reason he cannot boot in to the win 7 partition. after building up and getting 8.1.1 setup just the way he wants it he doesn't care about the 7 partition any more. i know i can go in delete the 7 partition, stretch 8.1.1 to fill the entire drive, but what i'm not sure of is if the boot info is on 7 or 8.1.1. i do know that once 8.1.1 is the only os i can go into msconfig and delete the win 7 entry. note since both partitions were created using partition wizard there is not 100mb reserved partition, so the boot information is either on 7 or 8.1.1. i also have a copy of Acronis True Image 2014 Premium. any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Removing Old OS Partition

Hi there
I believe I posted this before so what I'd do is the following

1) Backup your current system with Acronis (don't backup the W7 system) and ensure you have a Bootable Acronis system -- you can create it from within running windows using Acronis.

2) get into command in administrator mode

3) type the following commands in

a) DISKPART
b) LIST DISK -- you'll see a list of disks - select the one you want to use -- probably in this case Disk 0 or Disk 1

c) SELCT DISK 0 (assuming it's HDD nr 0)
d) CLEAN
e) CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
f)ACTIVE ===> do this or HDD won't boot
g) format fs=ntfs quick
h) Assign

Now boot your Acronis system and restore the W8.1 backup

Boot it -- it might fail in which case simply use Windows recovery to Repair system - but it probably will be OK. (You don't need to create a Windows recovery disk if you've got a Windows install disk - that will work just fine.

Job done.

To re-size partitions download GPARTED or any Linux live CD which will have GPARTED in it -- now simply re-size your partition(s) at will.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/49194-removing-old-os-partition.html
Relevancy 47.3%

hello,

i just removed a partition and extended my D: drive onto this partition of 121.59 GB.
however i still see them separately... is this normal ? shouldn't this be one unique block?

many thanks!

A:after removing a partition...

I think you might need to right click on c drive and select "extend volume".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-removing-a-partition.1171280/
Relevancy 47.3%

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I have a pc that came with XP Home preinstalled, and I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on a new partition. I haven't used XP in months, and I think it's safe to say I have no use for it anymore. Since XP is installed on the first partition on my hard drive, how can I safely delete it?

A:Removing XP Partition

Take look at this tutorial:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...oot.html?ltr=O

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/55957-removing-xp-partition.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I'm running XP Pro SP2 on a Sony VAIO which has a recovery partition. I've made restore discs from this, so now I want to delete the partition and get my hard drive space back.

How do I do this? Do I need special software?

I realise this may be ridiculously simple, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Relevancy 47.3%

Hello,

I've got a laptop with a partition on the main drive that holds some of the programs that came with the laptop(fingerprint reader, webcam software, etc.), but it's a 28 gig partition, and it's only using 2. I was wondering how I would go about removing the partition, but keeping the programs on the it. Will it work if I just copy-paste them over to the main drive and delete the partition? This is probably a stupid question, but I figure it's better to ask and know than guess and mess something up.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

EDIT: There's also a folder in the partition called drivers, so my guess would be the aforementioned copy-paste technique won't work.

A:Need help removing partition.

NO. You cannot "remove" a partition without deleting all contents. However, you can use Disk Management to "shrink" or "expand" the partition. I suggest you backup any critical data before changing the size of a partition or performing any disk level function.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Can-I-repartition-my-hard-disk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309169.aspx

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443407/need-help-removing-partition/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi - a tech support guy has partitioned my dad's hard drive into C and D. The OS is on C and there is almost no space left on it. There is tons on d. Apart from the fact he was there to solve something unrelated we now have a prob.
Is there a way to delete the D drive (which has nothing useful on it) and release the space back the C drive/partition?
If there is a simple utitility that does not require TOO much tech knowledge I'd be grateful for any pointers.
ta
Mike

A:Removing a partition (XP)

Hi this may be of help http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html
download here http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/removing-a-partition-xp-507679.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hey,

First allow you to give you my system info:

Samsung Netbook NC10
Origonally Windows XP Home SP3
Now Installed Windows Vista Home SP1

XP is installed on C: Partition, Vista installed E: partition.

I now want to remove the XP Partition but the Computer Management says my XP Partition is a system and active partition even though there are no XP files left on that partition (Iv deleted them all)

I have used Easy BCD to remove the XP from the BCD and Its gone perfect. But I still cannot format/delete the partition.

What can I do?

I must note that this is my Netbook and I do not have a CD Drive.
I do have Acronis True Image (If that helps)

Thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-xp-partition-419835.html
Relevancy 46.87%

My brother-in-law just gave me his Dell desktop xls running Vista which is slower than my XP machine by far and it originally had aol running on it I uninstalled the program but I m noticing that my Total Defense anti virus program that I just installed on this system is sending out a a message asking me if I want to block AOl settings manager settings aol removing Manager Build removing aol settings manager I said yes as I want removing aol settings manager nothing AOL on my system However the request to block keeps coming back and I can t get rid of it I notice that the program is listed in C program files removing aol settings manager common files aol ee services settingsmanager I went to this files and the computer wouldn t let me delete it or any of the aol folder I have already uninstalled aol but it appears that garbage is left over It appears that MB of AOL leftovers are sitting in that common folder and i can t seem to get rid of it I can t assume that I need any of that on my computer as my ISP is cablevision and AOL was my Brother-in-Law s ISP I want to be able to get rid of this so my Total Defense program doesn t keep asking me if I want to block it nbsp

A:removing aol settings manager

Have you tried deleting the folder in Safe Mode?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-aol-settings-manager.1115588/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi, when I first received my PC, it had Vista installed. I immediately downgraded to XP SP3. Vista, however, had made a restoration partition, which I no longer needed. It has allocated itself as my C: drive and I cannot read or write to it as it is protected. All new software installations on my PC default to this drive and it is causing problems.

I can't remove it, again because it is protected.

Changing drive letters would help...but I want the 10gigs of space back. Any help on removing this appreciated.

http://81.129.83.45/1.jpg

A:Removing recovery partition

What that is telling you is that even though somehow the operating system was installed on D drive, the Boot records are on the C drive and it cannot be deleted or changed.

The easiest way out is to reinstall XP, this time delete all partitions and disconnect any drives other than the one you want to boot from.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/removing-recovery-partition-523030.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi,
I have a old HP nx6325 laptop I have been playing around with, I have just installed Vista home,
The hard drive I have for it is 40gb. With vista taking up a well over half this space I wanted to create some more. I looked online and found you can delete partions, I have a 8gb partion that I would like to remove.
However it is the recovery partion. When I go into disk managment and storage I can see the two partions,
When I right click on the recovery partion it does not give me the option to delete it.
So.. How can I delete this partion? The partition has (ESIA configuration) written on it.

Thanks.

A:Removing partition problem

If the partition is a part of an extended partition then you wouldn't be able to delete it. Also by deleting the recovery partition you wouldn't have a method to restore the factory image. Not sure if that's important to you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-partition-problem-590776.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi Just want to run something by you guys before I install my compy of Win Ultimate on my laptop I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Xi with Vista Home Premium When I got the laptop I created the restore DVD s and have since then used them a couple of times From what I've gathered reading trough this and other forums and from my own knowledge and experience it should be safe to remove the recovery partition from the HD right Or could I run in to some kind of problem if I'd like to go back to Vista using my recovery DVD s and the partition is not there As I understand it if I for example had a Dell it whould be ok but could it be different on my computer Or do these recovery-partitions always work the same Removing recovery-partition way Also if I decide to leave the partition there and I do a clean install of Win will this do anything to the restore partition Cause in that case I could just leave it there right Greatfull Removing recovery-partition for your input

A:Removing recovery-partition

You are right. You are able to delete that partition if you have made discs. And if you do decide to leave, installing windows 7 will not interfere at all with that partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/33919-removing-recovery-partition.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I've been on this for hours with no luck so far

i created a system partition of 50gb, and a data partition of 590gb

I want to change the system partition to 250gb

I've tried using extend and shrink but its all greyed out on c drive. I bough Acronis disk director but that didn't work.

Is the only option left to re-format the entire drive? I have a vista image of c drive I could restore.

Is this the only realistic option??

A:removing a partition in Vista

it may be its made a restore point (norm goes at the end of drive space ),so turn it off and try again
right click my computer,manage,d/c disk management,right click system disk C and see if it is now working

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-a-partition-in-vista-306323.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I am running Windows 7 all great and haven't had any problems, I want to make Windows 7 my sole operating system and remove my XP partition. I managed to install Windows 7 on a separate partition with no problems but just wondering if it's all fine to go ahead and delete my XP partition and then resize my Windows 7 partition back up, this wouldn't create any problems?

Just a matter of backing up all the essentials first, just in case?

Cheers,

A:Removing XP and resizing Win 7 partition

Hi there
If you want to get rid of XP just boot into W7 and do clean install.
Delete ALL the OS partitions and create new one's from the install prompt.

If you want a separate partition manager download the BOOTABLE FREE GPARTED application. Just google for it.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/9879-removing-xp-resizing-win-7-partition.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Removing recovery partition.
Hello I am trying to remove a recovery partition from my computer I right click the My Computer icon then select this management when I select the recovery disc the option to remove is gray meaning it is not a valid option. The reason why I want to delete the partition is because I believe that is causing problems on my PC which caused it to crash.

Relevancy 46.87%

Just got myself a new hard drive to use as a second drive in a laptop Although it should be a GB drive when I put it into the laptop I noticed it was only reporting GB So I went to Computer Management checked the drive and sure enough there s a hidden restore partition on it So I want to get rid of this hidden partition so that I can Removing hidden partition a use it for Removing a hidden partition storage space but can t delete it via Disk Management I m thinking of putting the drive into one of my spare laptops as the primary drive and booting from a Windows XP install disk I m hoping that this will then allow me to delete the hidden partition and repartition the drive so that its all available for Removing a hidden partition use in Windows The question is does anyone know Removing a hidden partition if this will work Or is there another way to remove this unwanted hidden partition without having to go through the whole performance of ripping out the old drive etc

A:Removing a hidden partition

What kind of drive is it, and can you get an external enclosure?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/358948/removing-a-hidden-partition/
Relevancy 46.87%

Good morning,

I am trying to help a friend with their system. She is running Windows 7 Premium. I followed the steps to create a Administrator account on her box. ( I assume I had to since the option to delete the partition was grayed out). This partition I am trying to remove is an empty locgical drive. (it came partitioned from Dell). I am still unable to delete this drive.

Any thoughts.

Re-cap - In administrative mode - CMD.exe C:\user\administrators> net users administrator /active:yes

I recevied the confirmation. Unfortunately when I log off I am only still seeing my friends login name. I have to click switch user in order to enter administrator credentials.

Any help is appreciated.

A:Removing a partition Windows 7

what to you maean you are trying to remove a partition,you cant remove a partition you can only resize it,meaning (shrink or extend it)are you trying to remove a user account

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-a-partition-windows-7-a-593579.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I am unable to shrink an extended partition in order to expand a primary partition (C drive). I therefore want to delete the extended partition and its unallocated space after removing multiple logical volumes. After expanding my C drive, I would recreate the extended and logical partitions then reinstall the extended partition contents with backed-up files.

My question is: Is this doable and if so are there precise or recommended procedures.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-extended-partition.1165949/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello people of the forum i'm years old don't judge me well not yet i just got my problems! help! partition removing please new disc of ubuntu in the mail today so i was gonna dual boot it with vista on my laptop no big deal ok so i got it dual booted everthing went fine except ubuntu wasn't working right cpu was the whole time messed up screen resolution and it was running at an please help! partition removing problems! unusable speed idk what was wrong with it and didn't feel like screwing up my computer did anyway so i THOUGHT i'd load back into vista and remove the ubuntu partition gigs from a gig hard drive so i'm in vista working perfectly fine i'm in the disk manager and i removed my ubuntu partition aparently i should have researched this first after i removed it i restarted my computer and i got an error that said quot blah blah blah grub error quot so i did something wrong so please can someone help me get back into vista all my stuff's still there well just my programs luckily i put on my files on and external hard drive for stuff just like this my recovery disc is a partition on my hard drive so that doesn't work i have a hq compaqu persario more numbers here i forgot it's the highest one gigs ram navida graphics amd processor no clue why ubuntu was slow i don't have intel and i have a hacked xp disc how do i use that to get back into vista is the installation disc the same things as a boot disc did i get this error because ubuntu was above vista on the boot list should i post in the Linux forum

A:please help! partition removing problems!

Seeing how you want to fix your Vista install, I will not comment on your hacked version of XP other than to say it is against forum rulesI have made a note of it and you will not get any assistance for that in the futureYou need to fix your MBR:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/240621/please-help-partition-removing-problems/
Relevancy 46.87%

I'm running xp professional. I used the disk manager to remove a primary partition. The disk space that is left over says it is unallocated. Any ideas how I might incorporate it back into the C drive?

A:Removing a primary partition

You will need to resize the C partition in order to regain the unallocated space.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-a-primary-partition.7567/
Relevancy 46.87%

Can you uninstall the Partition Magic software program from your system once you have used it to partition the HDD?

THanks.

Relevancy 46.87%

I recently received an old laptop from a colleague of mine as he no longer has use for such an old laptop dell inspiron m years old I am currently going to give it to my son for tampering as he is an avid computer programmer and is currently working on compiling his own version of partition a Removing windows arch Linux based on the laptops specifications When i started up clearing out the laptop of useless junk i found two partitions on it both containing windows XP The second partition gb partition contained nothing on it except for a clean install of XP Is there any way Removing a windows partition i can uninstall that copy of XP from that second partition while keeping the main Removing a windows partition partition in tact EDIT Removing a windows partition I want to remove the second partition the gb one The two partitions as is followed Partition one C drive gb total space gb used Partition two E drive gb total space gb used Dell inspiron m pentium centrino mobile ghz mb ram gb HD intel integrated graphics extreme All help is much obliged as i m new to this sector of computing nbsp

A:Removing a windows partition

If you are logged into the first XP partition, it is easy enough to do. I would recommend making a backup of your important files before doing this, though.

Right-click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Right-click on the 10GB partition, and select 'Delete Partition'. It will ask to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

Next, to change the boot.ini file. Go to Start > Run, and type in "msconfig" without the quotes. Click on the BOOT.INI tab, and click the 'Check All Boot Paths' button. Follow the prompts from there, and you're done.

Check to make sure that you can log back in once you're done, as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-a-windows-partition.879016/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hey First allow you to Problem XP Removing Partition give you my system Problem Removing XP Partition info Samsung Netbook NC Origonally Windows XP Home SP Now Installed Windows Vista Home SP XP is installed on C Partition Vista installed E partition I now want to remove the XP Partition but the Computer Management says my XP Partition is a system and active partition even though there are no XP files left on that partition Iv deleted them all I have used Easy BCD to remove the XP from the BCD and Its gone perfect But I still cannot format delete the partition What can I do I must note that this is my Netbook and I do not have a CD Drive I do have Acronis True Image If that helps Thanks Someone told me to try this method Quote You can use the elevated command prompt to mark the partition as Inactive Right click on the command prompt icon and select run as administrator Once at the command prompt type the following one at a time hitting enter key each time capitalization is not required DISKPART LIST DISK SELECT DISK n where n is the number of the disk where xp partition resides LIST PARTITION SELECT PARTITION n where n is the number of the XP active partition you wish to make inactive INACTIVE EXIT to exit DISKPART EXIT again to exit the command prompt Reboot the PC you should now be able to delete the partition using disk management Be careful what you select this is a powerful tool But everytime I do I restart my pc and says No Operating System found I do a basic recovery and i can use both vista and xp but I still cannot delete the XP Partition

A:Problem Removing XP Partition

Follow this tutorial I wrote: http://cid-120d9bfa03f629fd.spaces.l...29FD!163.entry

Instead of clicking Resize, click Delete.

After doing that, you may have to use the Vista recovery disc for a Startup Repair. Use that if it doesn't boot correctly. Good luck.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-removing-xp-partition-419931.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Pretty unique problem here according to google I do an annual windows reinstall from an iso I made of the windows boot CD when I bought windows I made the iso because it s easier to keep track of files rather than CDs and whenever I would need to reinstall I would burn the iso to a disc install from the disc and throw out the disc once the install was complete Well tonight I ran out of CDs with a large enough capacity to hold the iso so I decided to get a bit fancy I mounted the iso and ran the setup utility through windows and had it install a new partition of windows to one of my unused storage drives The install went well I restarted and saw that there was an option to boot from two partitions of windows I eventually figured out which one was the new one and once desktop loaded up I went a partition. Removing win7 into msconfig and removed the old partition from the boot tab Removing a win7 partition. The problem pops up when I went back to reformat the old partition It gave me an Removing a win7 partition. error stating that it cannot format a system drive I figure that this is because the old partition is still active somehow even though I removed it from the msconfig boot menu Through a bit of googling I got Removing a win7 partition. a general idea of what had to be done so I went into disk management and set the new partition to active I then restarted and went into BIOS and switched the disk boot order so that the new partition came before the old partition My bios did not like this because it gave me an error about NTLDR missing So it almost appears that the NTLDR thing isn t on the new partition but that s just a guesstimation Other information Old partition is quot disk quot in disk management New partition is quot disk quot in disk management I cannot modify or delete any of the system files on the old partition when I m booted in the new partition Thanks for your time nbsp

Relevancy 46.87%

I got a second partition (D next to my C: drive, and I'd like to remove the D:

I emptied it expecting that I'd get an option under the right-click menu; nothing.

Do I have to format my whole PC to get one drive, or is there an easy way?

A:Solved: Removing partition.

Click the Windows Orb (formally start) - in the Start Search window type or paste
diskmgmt.msc - at the top of the window an icon will appear, click it - you are now in Disk Management - right click the D: and choose Delete volume - you will then be able to Extend your C:volume to the full size of the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-removing-partition.700366/
Relevancy 46.87%

I have a computer with a 40 gig HDD. It has a partition, so as Drive C has 35 gigs and Drive D has 5 gigs. It has the operating system on "D" drive and it is almost full(113 megs free). I would like to delete the partition and merge everything onto Drive "C" without reformatting or losing personal files. Any way this is possible within windowsXP or do I need to use Acronis or Partition Magic?
soleryder

A:Winxp Removing Partition

Are you sure the D: drive isn't a recovery Partition ??
Can you attach a screen shot of you disc management screen ??

No way to do this in XP that I know of.
I sure wouldn't use PM .. threw it away a long time ago.
Acronis Disc Director is the way to go.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winxp-removing-partition.562581/
Relevancy 46.87%

I have recently installed a SSD. My old HDD drive is D:. Until today it had the OS drives on it also but my system boots from the SSD, drive C:. I formatted D: today but it still shows the partition as Active. How do I get rid of that as the drive is empty and I will be using it for storage. Thanks,

A:Removing Active Tag from Partition

One way is to use diskpart.

Select that partition and then type "inactive" at the prompt.

You don't see a way to do it in Disk Management?

The diskpart commands should be:

list disk
select disk 0
list part

The above list part should show 2 partitions. You would then select the one that is now inactive and then type "inactive" at the prompt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/241870-removing-active-tag-partition.html
Relevancy 46.44%

What would you guys recommend or use as your partition manager the built in partition manager for windows 7 is just terrible. I normally use gparted but sometimes I cant be bothered to restart my computer just to do a partition. For my XP I use to use paragon partition manager but I'm more looking into the most compatible partition manager for windows 7. Any suggestions?

A:Partition manager which one to use?

Partition Wizard Home is free and works great.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/50017-partition-manager-one-use.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Can any one help, I want to merge my partions as after a reinstall. My hard drive now shows the drive with windows in as having 4.38gb (F) and C drive as 293 gb,I am trying to use Paragon partition manager 8.5 but it cant even see the F drive to merge it with C.

Relevancy 46.44%

Hi guys, and congratulations, great forum
Can someone help me? I'm finding for a partition manager for Windows 7. I'm in the Build 7201
and Sorry my english
Thank's a lot

A:Any partition manager?

Paragon Partition Manager 9.0 working here on 7201 x32 will test on x64 in a few mins

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/12246-any-partition-manager.html
Relevancy 46.44%

So I'm having a lot of trouble doing my Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade (long story, other threads here), and then I realized that if I screwed up, I could damage my Windows partition , which also contains like 100+ GB of installed programs (but no real user data). I figured that I should do all my experiments and trials on a spare copy of that partition.

My Windows C: partition is on an SSD, but I cloned that partition to a spare HDD. When I try to boot off the HDD, it still wants to boot off the SSD. How do I get that HDD to boot up properly?

x509

A:How do I boot off the partition I cloned, not the original partition

From a Command Prompt (Admin) try running the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f BIOS

The drive letters in red will be the drive letter to the HDD windows partition.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/51409-how-do-i-boot-off-partition-i-cloned-not-original-partition.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi I have win pro installed amp two HDDs with two partions each I want to migrate the boot partition to another partition partition another Migrating/copying partition boot to HDD on the second drive It Migrating/copying boot partition to another HDD partition would have been easier if i would have just cloned the complete drives but one of the partions on the nd drive has data which cannot be deleted So I have Drive - Partitions C boot partition amp D Drive - Partitions E amp F I want to remove Drive from my PC so i want to copy C to E then remove drive amp boot from E I tried Migrating/copying boot partition to another HDD partition quot Easeus todo backup quot did not work it does not make the copy bootable to Migrating/copying boot partition to another HDD partition make it bootale the whole drive has to be copied I tried making an image of C using win inbuilt backup feature then removed drive installed win on E then tried restoring the image of C but i got some error Is there any other way using freeware that can do the job

A:Migrating/copying boot partition to another HDD partition

You probably forgot to copy/move the bootmgr in the system partition. Have a look into your Disk Management.

I use free Macrium for such tasks.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/19275-migrating-copying-boot-partition-another-hdd-partition.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey guys I need some help here as I am stuck with this for a day and half now I recently bought a TB disk hard drive and want to swap out GB disk with it I cloned the disk to disk already I am stuck in a dilemma where I can't do either to the I partition the boot partition? How system change turn boot into windows How do I change the system partition either to the boot partition? without the need of disk I figured it has to do with the fact that the system partition is part of disk I have questions question can i moved the system partition over to the C drive where the boot partition is I don't know if this is even possible question Move the system partition where the red arrow system reserved partition is I have not seen anyone with this perform yet Again i am not sure if it is possible at all I know i made a mistake of separating the the boot and system How should i come about to fix it Any suggestions Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/389711-how-do-i-change-system-partition-either-boot-partition.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello Sonic Update Manager Removing I have a Dell Dimension with Windows XP SP I Recently had to have my operating system re-installed due to a virus Two programs that were on my system prior Removing Sonic Update Manager to the re-install were quot Sonic RecordNow quot and quot Sonic DLA quot Neither of these programs are now on my system and I don t remember ever using them But there are two Sonic folders located in Program Files which I believe were brought over from my back-up disks after the operating system re-install C Program Files Sonic DLA there are files in this folder C Program Files Common Files Sonic Update Manager there are files in this folder All have Sonic as the publisher I would like to delete all trace elements of the previously installed Sonic DLA I deleted the folder C Program Files Sonic DLA without problem But when I try to delete the folder C Program Files Common Files Sonic Update Manager I receive a warning message that states Renaming moving or deleting Update Manger could make some programs not work Are you sure you want to do this I do not have any other Sonic Roxio programs on my system Is there a file in Sonic Update Manager that I should be aware of which could cause problems in other parts of my system if I delete this folder Please let me know if I can provide any other information that might be helpful

A:Removing Sonic Update Manager

Try Revo Uninstaller.http://www.revouninstaller.com/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/257430/removing-sonic-update-manager/
Relevancy 46.44%

When offline the Dial Up Connection screen keeps popping up about twice a minute, and I think that Installshield Update Manager is the culprit. Every time I have disabled the files ISUSPM.exe and ISSCH.exe in startup they are automatically re-enabled on the next boot-up.

Question: How can I totally remove Installshield Update Manager from my machine ? Incidentally, it does not appear in the Control Panel Add/Remove folder, but has its own folder.

A:Removing Installshield Update Manager

Is there anybody who can help with this problem? J have one too.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87621/removing-installshield-update-manager/
Relevancy 46.44%

I am running windows XP pro sp3. I had installed blackberry desktop software and with it this Roxio Media Manager keeps trying to install itself with windows installer, as soon as you cancel it tries again.

I have tried to remove the blackberry software from add/remove programs but i get a message asking for the msi install file which i no longer have. It asks for version 4.3. When i click cancel here the roxio stops trying to install for awhile and the Blackberry entry in the add/remove programs disappears but both come back on reboot.

I have also looked into the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVerion>Run and RunOnce and also the same location under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for some kind of roxio registry to delete but there is none.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions =D

A:Removing Roxio Media Manager

Found this on another website, hope it helps for you .Re-download the install file. If you go to blackberry.com you can choose 4.5 with media and 4.5 without media! Without doesn't try to install roxio. With does but it should be imbedded within the the download.Another SolutionI seemed to have solved it by doing a 'repair' installation in the control panel's add/remove of the BB program.Hope that helps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/265780/removing-roxio-media-manager/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hiya

I bought a 2GB USB pendrive (brand "integral" - never heard if it!)

It works fine, but came with security software and a 2Mb partition that's a pain in the neck.

I'm running Vista home premium and have tried to remove the partition using the disk partition tool. The remove volume option is greyed out

I've done a surf around on google and there's all kinds of solutions involving boot disks that seem overkill. I've tried downloading something called partition magic that doesn't like running ("init failed: error 117. Partitions drive letter cannot be identified"), so have given up!

Surely there's a quick fix here I'm missing?

many many thanks in advance

Rich _F

Relevancy 46.01%

I'm using FDISK to try and remove a Extended DOS partition. When I select that option, I get msg"
Cannot delete Extended DOS partition while logical drive exists.
The C: drive has been formatted
This is the display of Diplay partition information:
Partition Status Type Vol Label Mbytes System Usage
c: 1 A PRI DOS 1022 FAT32 33%
2 EXT DOS 2067 67%
How can I get rid of this?

A:(Solved) Removing Extented DOS partition?

you need to choose option 3 from the fdisk menu and delete the logical drives first.

See this article under How to Repartition and Format the Extended Partition and Logical Drives of a Hard Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q255867#4

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-removing-extented-dos-partition.53596/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey I just got an old laptop Dell Latitude D I ve been messing with it mostly taking things from my desktop and putting them on my external hard drive to transfer into the laptop I ve already Removing drive a hard partition repaired a bunch of drivers including the wireless card I don t have wireless in my house yet so I have to check Starbux or something latter to see if it works But there is something about this computer that s bugging me I got it from my girlfriends dad to try and mess with it Removing a hard drive partition s an old school district computer he bough for cheep Removing a hard drive partition Problem is it has no CD drive and I have no money to get one so I can use the Windows disk to manage the OS like you normally do I want to remove the hard drive partition and get rid of the old operating system so I can just have the one good copy of XP on it but I don t know if I can do that with out the disk Does anyone know how to remove a hard drive partition with out the system disk nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

I have a dual boox 98/XP machine. 98 resides on an 8Gb Primary partition (actually, there's no other partitions on this drive)

XP sits on a logical drive on a different partiton (a completely separate 'harddisk', in fact)

I never use 98 anymore, so I want to get rid of this, and re-install a fresh copy of XP in its place (ald also remove the copy of XP I currently have)

Can someone please describe to me the steps I should take to complete this process propery?

Many thanks once again.

A:Removing 98, deleting XP, and installing XP to the old 98 partition.

Easy, boot with the XP CD, create one partition, format and install the OS. This will remove everything on the HD and basically you will start over with a clean HD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-98-deleting-xp-and-installing-xp-to-the-old-98-partition.362202/
Relevancy 46.01%

My uncle has Vista and XP on Dual-Boot and now wants to stay with Vista
XP was installed 1st then Vista

Will I be able to delete everything on the XP Partition once I have changed the MBR with EasyBCD to Vista only..?

(I tried to delete XP-64 in same circumstances from within an XP-32 OS and it wouldnt let me delete the files or format as some files were protected....)

I can do it with Acronis Boot Disk but im gunna be doing it remotely

thx

Relevancy 46.01%

Hello. I currently have Windows 7 installed on a two partitioned hard drive. One partition has all the system files and such while the other is not in use. If I remove the partition that I'm not using to free up space will Windows on the other partition be deleted?

Also, would anyone have a recommendation on a good free partitioning software?

Thanks.

A:Will removing partition delete Windows 7?

I would leave the second partition and put all the user data there and out of the Windows partition.

I use MinTool Partition Wizard Home Edition (Free). I have used it a handful of times and have not any problems with it. Check its reviews out on CNET.

Once you moved any data to the second partition defrag both partitions and then use MTPW to re-size the partitions to suit your needs.

Try to leave enough space in all partitions in order to ensure fairly fast defragmentations of your partitions.

P.S. I believe that you might be able to re-size the partitions using Windows 7 though I am not sure about this. Worth looking into.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/164567-will-removing-partition-delete-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi all In short I m asking how if possible to remove my F partition that currently is used for my SWAP file I m running WinXP Home Primary drive C is all one partition except for Gb set up for SWAP file Note My SWAP file is on a Fat partition The rest of my C drive is NTFS Gb total C drive Ultimately my objective is to have just one partition on C drive With end result being WinXP being installed with no SWAP file partition All is running fine no problems One year ago I had cause to do a clean install of XP on a new HD old one died At that time I set up a separate partition for Swap file F partition However after a year now I ve just read that it is not advisable to set up a separate Swap file partition because it will cause my system to run slow Back then of partition removing separate help swap all the reading I did I saw no mention of this SWAP file partition not being a good idea After searching for info on removing this SWAP file partition It seems that the only way to do this is to do another full clean install of XP What a hassle Just for you re info I do have help removing separate swap partition plenty of room on my C drive for making another partition if needed I also have a second drive E Gb That has Gb of space that has never been yet formatted Here is the info from another forum I have just read that has caused this interest Comment I have a separate partition for the page file It has enough space so there won t be any trouble for the system drive at all Reply Oh yes it will Under no circumstances whatsoever should you use a separate partition for the pagefile on a system drive Even if you somehow manage to set it up like that This defeats the whole object of the exercise It will massively decrease performance nbsp

A:help removing separate swap partition

Having a separate partition for a swap file on the same physical drive as the system will slow it down a bit.
Having a separate partition for a swap file on a Different physical drive as the system will Increase performance a little. If the swap file is not being used, it won't make a difference.

Just move the swap file back to the C: drive and do what ever you want with the F: drive.

Right click My Computer, click Properties
Click the Advanced tab
In the Performance section, click the Settings button.
Click the Advanced tab
In the Virtual memory section, click the Change button
Highlight the C: drive and chose System managed size
(or Custom size and set your sizes as desired.)
Click the Set button
Highlight the F: drive and select No paging file
Click the Set button
OK back to the Desktop and reboot.
You can delete the F: partition, and use EASEUS Partition Manager (Home Edition) or a Gparted Live CD to extend the C: partition to use the entire drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-removing-separate-swap-partition.895529/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello everyone I use Vista on my Gateway notebook and it has the hard disk partitioned into C and D D (D:) files partition Removing Recovery from being a recovery drive of GB I had set it up to back up every sunday but my husband ripped A LOT of music to the notebook the other day and now the D partition is full I had no idea how much music he had ripped until after the recovery had started and it actually couldn't finish because all of the space had been used up I know now that I should have set it to exclude music from the back up but now I can't remove it I tried to go in and individually delete the music folders but it says quot There is not enough space on the disk to perform this operation quot I'm not quite sure Removing files from Recovery (D:) partition what to do now but I know that since he has all of his music on CDs already I don't want the files on my recovery drive Please let me know what to do to fix this Thanks everyone Bethany

A:Removing files from Recovery (D:) partition

so if i understand this correctly he ripped those files to the c drive ?. then delete or exclude the files from the backup yes. and if there's nothing important on the d drive format it and make a new backup. ( maybe temporary copy 1 of the backup files to the c drive )

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-files-from-recovery-d-partition-207313.html