Windows Support Forum

Adding Wifi Network to an Already Secured Network

Q: Adding Wifi Network to an Already Secured Network

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Couldn't find on a search.

I have a small secured network in my office with a modem/router networking three computers wirelessly. I would like to add another router that would allow clients in the waiting room of my office to have internet access. Could you assist me in a setup or map? I already have a wireless Linksys router available to use as the second router.

Thank You

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Adding Wifi Network to an Already Secured Network

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Adding Wifi Network to an Already Secured Network

Are those in the waiting room to be allowed into OR forbidden access to your Lan systems?

You already have

Code:
modem---router----your.lan.systems
to Isolate the W.R from your lan, connect

Code:

modem---router----your.lan.systems (assumed 192.168.1.x or 0.x)
|
+---new router (new channel+ssid+no encryption)
set LAN addresses and DHCP for 192.168.10.x

add firewall rule to ALL your existing LAN systems to deny src address range=192.168.10.0 thru 10.255

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-wifi-network-to-an-already-secured-network.118448/
Relevancy 96.32%

so what i want to do is be able to go on the internet on my phone ipod my accessing school's secured network wifi etc using one of my schools wifi accessing my school's secured wifi network networks my high school has different wifi networks but the all of them are secured and require accessing my school's secured wifi network a password to connect to and none of us students know the password i assume these wifi networks are mainly used for the school's computers and i was thinking maybe there was some kind of way i can find the password s using one of these computers obviously though the student do not have administrative privileges but i DID happen to find a way to access the command prompt using a bat file and im sure that there has to be some kind of way i can use the commands to show me the wifi password but i have no idea what the commands i would need to enter are if anyone knows how to accessing my school's secured wifi network do this PLEASE tell me i would be really happy even if i am taking the risk of possibly getting suspended if they found out o o

A:accessing my school's secured wifi network

Your schools wifi is secure for a reason and if you want the password ask for it. I doubt anyone here will advise you on how to HACK it since it is probably illegal to do so.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/129540-accessing-my-schools-secured-wifi-network.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi,

I have a network that has a broadband cisco router and checkpoint firewall that I cannot touch. It was set up by our dept of Education, and has to be left alone. But one of the teachers has asked me to set up wifi access for the network.

I have set up a wireless access point D-link DWL-G700AP , and I can configure this assign IP addresses on the network, BUT I have to manually set the DNS and the gateway on the clients manually. The whole idea is to make this oblivious to the user.

Is there any device that I can get to act as a DHCP relay, to forward the DHCP broadcasts to the checkpoint firewall, i.e. so that both wired and wireless clients get their IP address, gateway and DNS servers from the checkpoint firewall.

thanks,
Jonathan

Relevancy 82.13%

Hi all Not sure if you remember me been gone for a while So far I have a cable linksys router for my rigs at home Works great - constant internet access no hiccups it s awesome However lately I ve been thinking of using some WiFi devices mainly Apple s Ipod Touch when I m just bored around the house or something But there s a slight problem - how do I get WiFi I guess if I had a wireless router it d all quot just work quot However I like my current setup and don t want extensive switching to a whole WiFi cabled (router) Adding existing system? to network an different router what am I going to Adding WiFi to an existing cabled network (router) system? do with these cables I spent so much time on routing around doors and walls Is there some kind of WiFi quot antenna quot I can connect to my router more open slots right now which I can use for wireless devices Or maybe connect a wireless router to my cabled router O o Also after I Adding WiFi to an existing cabled network (router) system? get a wireless thing do I expect it to quot just work quot Or is there some complicated setup involving WiFi I searched Adding WiFi to an existing cabled network (router) system? Newegg but didn t find anything of the sort other than wireless routers obviously Any cheap solution I don t want to splurge another bucks after getting handheld WiFi-enabled device - - nbsp

A:Adding WiFi to an existing cabled network (router) system?

Rick said:

A wireless access point should be the solution. They look a lot like routers usually - but without the routing stuff. .

This device would basically just add wireless capability to your existing setup without interfering with your current configuration.

An issue to consider though is that APs tend to be just as expensive as their router counterparts, despite routers having more versatility. For this reason, you may want to consider getting a router, but turning off its DHCP-server function and not plugging any devices into is WAN port (basically turns it into an AP). It would add a little extra confusion, but the extra utility might be nice...Click to expand...

Aha, interesting... Any specific pointers for a wireless access point? I actually read about them in a how stuff works WiFi article, but I couldn't find anything specific on Newegg. If I were to get a wireless router (again, any specific pointers? ), do I have to replace my main router? Or can I connect the wireless router to one of my main router slots :evil:?

Either way, thanks for the quick reply

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-wifi-to-an-existing-cabled-network-router-system.100688/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have an internet connection that I have extended to my Brother in law's house, next door. At the moment, I basically have two LAN cables coming out of my modem/router, one going to my computer and another, extended cable, going to his computer.
However, he wants to use his spare modem/router, which has wifi capability, to allow his son to use his own computer downstair with only wifi.
Therefore, will there be any conflicts if I simply splice in a Lan cable or add a lan socket for the second modem/router (wifi location.) at the appropriate point along Lan cable 2? See diagram below.
If there is a possibility of conflict what would be an alternate wiring method?

Thanks,
Tom.

A:Adding extra wifi (modem/router) to my already extended network

Good drawing and this will work just fine. In fact, that's what I use to get access at the far end of the house. Here's the trick;

router#1(lan slot) ---- (lan slot) router#2 with wifi​
Notice that #2 WAN slot is left empty! This places all systems on the same subnet of the router#1 {what you are doing is making router#2 act like a switch which has wifi support (y) }

* Give router# a unique LAN address (If #1 is 192.168.1.1, then make #2 192.168.1.1) This will allow each to be manage via a browser connection
* in router#2 disable DHCP. This forces #1 to be the manager of the entire network and it will handout all IP addresses
Personally, I use the MAC addresses of my devices to enable router#1 to use Address Reservation of IP address for all devices attached to #1 (ie I map the devices to the range 1.2-> 1.10)

Then set the DHCP range in #1 to 1.100-1.50
These will be used for all devices attached (wired or wifi) to #2

Optional:
All systems can then use the firewall to allow or deny access for one or both halves of the network. EG: I permit access for 1-10 and 255 while denying 100-254​ALL system must allow the top-end address 255 as that is the broadcast address that is used to hand out the DHCP data.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-extra-wifi-modem-router-to-my-already-extended-network.203204/
Relevancy 76.11%

I have an Actiontec GT701-wg DSL modem running a wireless network. I currently have two laptops with XP sharing the Internet connection. Since the modem has an open Ethernet port in the back, I was wondering if it might be possible to plug in a networkable external hard drive and have it available to both of the laptops wirelessly.

If it is possible, what setting would be required on the laptops to enable them to see the external drive?

Thanks!

Relevancy 76.11%

This sounds really noobie of me but is it possible to improve local network transfer speed by adding a 2nd network card. I was planning to connect one exclusively for lan transfers and another one hooked to a separate wireless router.

Right now only a maximum of 3 users can stream SD videos off the PC before it gets a little choppy.

The pc in question runs on windows 7 and it's board has built in gigabit, I happen to have a spare gigabit card.

A:Will adding a 2nd network card improve local network transfer speed

That won't really help the way you are describing the problem, although adding access points will help with streaming to wireless devices.

Although there is a setting in Group Policy that allows you to use two connections at the same time, I don't believe it will help in this situation.

I've done many HD movie streaming tests on my system.

I can stream from my media PC to at least 7 other machines at the same time, 4 wired, 3 wireless, plus my TV, and have no problems at all, no skipping, no freezing, even with the same movie in the same place or with 8 different movies at once, my TV is connected to my media center PC so counts as the 8th one.

This is Gb LAN, and 300Mbps wireless but even the 65Mbps limited laptop has no problem.

I'm not really sure why you are seeing these limitations but it may be the router.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/275341-will-adding-2nd-network-card-improve-local-network-transfer-speed.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello,

I have finally bought a new laptop and am in the process of setting it up. I have two main questions that I need help with:

1 - I am connecting to the internet via my wireless network that is telling me it is unsecured. How do I secure it? Very worried about this.

2 - Can I put my new lap top on my same McAfee anti-virus account as my current one or do i have to buy it again.

3 - Is there a good way of moving my outlook express account info addresses etc.?

If anyone could tell me where I put my Office discs I would be most grateful. Last seen when we move house a year ago!

Any help welcome.

Cutie

Relevancy 75.25%

I have a Dell XPS Since I got it it won't One computer secured go on network. s been working on my home network just fine I was using a Netgear Rangemax Router and a One computer won't go on secured network. Netgear WPN USB adapter on the said computer First problem started with the computer randomly just bei ng found offline which was always fixed by a reboot or unplugging and replugging the USB adapter Then one day it just quit and neither One computer won't go on secured network. of the things got it back So I purchased a Belkin USB adapter and installed it and it One computer won't go on secured network. worked fine for the next six months or so then it started doing the same thing in the same pattern My network at the time was secured with a passkey and when trying to reconnect it would not log on after typing in the passkey which by the way worked fine on the other computers in the house on the network Then I purchased a D-Link PCI card for this computer from Dell After installing it I still had the same problem it would not accept a passkey for logging on I spent hours on the phone being bounced around like a ping pong ball by Dell and got nowhere I called my internet provider Comcast and their Tech suggested to see what happens when the secuirty is removed I re-configured the router removing the security making it an unsecured network and instantly my computer in question logged into my network The only thing is that I cannot make my network secure anymore if I want to include this computer Another problem that has also come up is that loading streams or an online game etc has become very slow and I virtually cannot watch any stream videos like Youtube News casts etc without it sticking on buffering Signal strengh is out of bars Mps speed GB RAM Intel Processor I ve run Clean Disk regularly Defrag Regularly Malware Removal regularly All Tune-up tools regularly and I still cannot watch streams on this computer PLUS I had to make my network unsecured to use it Any suggestions would be helpful nbsp

Relevancy 74.39%

Hello I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with an Atheros Wireless adapter and windows xp I can connect to unsecured networks just fine I m on one now But I can t connect to the secured network in my house My roommate can fool Can't Secured to Network Connect Another connect to it fine so its not the router Also Another Can't Connect to Secured Network fool I do not have access to the router so Another Can't Connect to Secured Network fool I can not get into it reset it change it or anything But it works fine for the other systems in the house Until recently I couldn t connect wirelessly at all it would connect and say connected but no internet Googling around I was able to fix that but like I said I can only connect to the unsecured network I definitely have the correct key It hangs on quot Acquiring Network Address quot then goes to limited or no connectivity here is my ipconfig Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS suffix Autoconfiguration IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway I have tried numerous solutions offered at forums which I cant recall but if its really basic i ve probably tried it So in short -I m currently connected to unsecured network -Will not connect to secured network- stuck on quot Acquriing Network Address quot -other computers connect to secured network just fine -No access to router or its configuration any advice to fix this would be much appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 74.39%

Hi all I m having a problem with the wireless connect Cannot network secured to wireless connection at our house that I can t resolve by googling or basic know-how We recently renamed our wireless connection and gave it a network key There Cannot connect to secured wireless network are two computers using the network and since securing it neither computer has had difficulty connecting to the internet Today my computer stopped connecting to the secured network Upon running network diagnostics I was told the network key on my computer does not match the network key on the router I rebooted my computer I reset the router unplugged the router waited one full minute plugged it back in and am still having this difficulty The network key has not changed and the other computer using the wireless network is connecting without any difficulty Cannot connect to secured wireless network at all I cannot connect to the network We have not changed any settings and there hasn t been any contact with the router except for when I tried to restart it I attempted to run system restore in case a recent Windows Update caused the trouble which didn t do anything I have turned Windows Cannot connect to secured wireless network Firewall on and off to see if either setting made a difference which it did not I m running out of things to guess at to try to change or fix to get on the network My computer is a Compaq v laptop running Windows XP SPIII I think I am able to connect to other available unsecured networks so I know my wireless is working fine Does anybody else have any ideas to what I can try so I can reconnect to the correct network confused If more information is needed please let me know and I will provide what I can Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 74.39%

I have a great secured wireless connection that works with all of computers in the house except my laptop it says "connected" but there is no internet connection the two computers light up but it doesn't have the blue ball in the middle..what is the problem please help.

A:Connected to secured network but not the internet

Originally Posted by monmil

I have a great secured wireless connection that works with all of computers in the house except my laptop it says "connected" but there is no internet connection the two computers light up but it doesn't have the blue ball in the middle..what is the problem please help.

Hello monmill. A most frequent cause of blocking Internet access is Anti-Virus / Firewall / Spam Blocking software that has blocked Internet access for security reasons. One way to test this idea is to turn it all off temporarily to see if access is restored. Then configure the security software to allow access to the Internet.

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/297225-connected-secured-network-but-not-internet.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have just purchased an used Dell Latitude C with Windows XP Professional I wanted to go online using the wireless PC Card that came with the laptop Speedtouch but have not been able to I can connect using the blue cable to my wireless router but not wirelessly I can have to I a Cannot Solved: connecct network a key secured that to connect wireless to an unsecured Solved: Cannot connecct to a secured network that I have a key to network such as at a WiFi hotspot but not my secure home network I also tried at Solved: Cannot connecct to a secured network that I have a key to the homes of two friends with secure networks and no luck there either When I check the Solved: Cannot connecct to a secured network that I have a key to available networks my network shows up as a secure network I click it enter the WEP key and hit enter then I wait and wait until I am staring back at my available network I searched your tech site for an answer to this mystery and have installed the sp for Windows XP I ve checked my router settings from my desktop computer and all seems well there I also recently added my daughters notebook to the network without a glitch Here is my ipconfig as it stands now Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings dell gt IPCONFIG ALL Windows IP Configuration Host Name AD Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Mixed IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List ri cox net Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix ri cox net Description Com Mini PCI Ethernet Adapte r Physical Address - - - A- - E Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Tuesday June PM Lease Expires Wednesday June PM Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Wireless PC Card Model Physical Address - -C - E-CC- C Documents and Settings dell gt nbsp

Relevancy 74.39%

My wife's computer running XP OS with SP3, connected to our WPA-2 wireless network with Linksys WUSB100 adapter, keeps losing its Internet connection whenever she is offline (not logged off for a period of time), connected to a broadband modem through a Linksys WRT120N Wireless Router. Linksys has its own wireless manager, which conflicted with Windows XP WZC, so I went in and disabled that ( did nothing to solve problem). However, we have an unsecured wireless network in our immediate neighborhood, and that is the network (albeit with a weak signal, and a speed of only 24mbs speed) that her computer connect to. There must be a way of blocking her computer from connecting to that network, or to remove that network from the available networks list. I have been searching online for solutions, and have contacted Linksys support several times for support, but they claim to have no solutions.

Relevancy 74.39%

Ive been trying for a long time to access a secured network on my laptop. I entered the correct network key, but when I hit 'connect' it just tries to connect for a while and then times out. I have tried using Network Connections Troubleshooting and 'network setup' to no avail! My laptop is the only one in the house that isn't able to access this network. I really don't understand why! Can someone help please?

Relevancy 74.39%

Anyone have trouble connecting to a secured network? I setup WPA security on my network and can't connect even with the key entered. At the moment I can only connect via unsecured, cause I haven't figured how to manually change security type as in Vista. I'm using build 7068 x86.

A:Trouble connecting to secured network?

It should sense the security type being used and ask you for the appropriate type key.

I have a Wireless N router and no matter what I changed the security type to Win7 just asked for the key and off it went....

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/7010-trouble-connecting-secured-network.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I am using a wireless router I have established a wireless network to my laptop in the house OK Network Wireless Secured Home when I go to Control Panel and drill down to view my quot wireless networks quot I see the network s name and the security type is quot WPA -Personal quot But when I go to the tool bar on the bottom right corner of my computer where the quot bars quot are they start off on the left with a very small Secured Home Wireless Network bar and gradually get taller- - when I Secured Home Wireless Network click on those bars and go to my wireless network s name and hover my mouse pointer over it the name it then reads quot Security Type Unsecured quot Yet from the Control Panel it reads for that same wirelsss network name quot Security type WPA -Personal quot why is it telling me my wirelss networt is secured at the Control Panel but then quot unsecured at the bottom right tool bar indicator Is my wireless network in fact secured or not thanks for any clarification nbsp

A:Secured Home Wireless Network

Hey, RP! We really need to know what operating system you run, as well as the brand of your computer's wireless network adapter (or the brand and model of the computer) and what router you use.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/secured-home-wireless-network.1029797/
Relevancy 74.39%

I'm having wireless internet problems and it just doesn't work. Right now, the only reason why my computer is connected to the internet is because there's a wire going from my computer to the linksys router.

Anyway, whenever I click on the little computer icon on my taskbar, my internet shows up but underneath it says that it's unsecured when it should be secured because we have a WEP key. When I click connect, it doesn't ask for the WEP key anymore and it also just doesn't connect.

How do I get it to work wireless again? And how do I get it back to be secured?

Relevancy 73.53%

Hi I found network... computers my two Found in secured unknown two unknown computers on my network using Explorer I have a wireless setup at home private with a desktop wired two laptops and a phone wireless The encryption is WPA TKP with a hard to guess password The two unknown computers were connected this morning and a few minutes after I Found two unknown computers in my secured network... tried to access them and do some checks they dissapeard -- could they have been watching me I didn t check the router page until then and of course they weren t there Also yesterday I was at a coffee place so could it be that this is nothing and those two computers are from people at the cafe Is there anything I can do to make sure nobody can access my network unless it s the computers I want I haven t manually set up a home network yet Here s more infor if that helps Thanks -------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows Versi n Copyright c Microsoft Corporation Reservados todos los derechos C Users Claudia-Lappy gt ipconfig all Configuraci n IP de Windows Nombre de host ClaudiaLappy Sufijo DNS principal Tipo de nodo h brido Enrutamiento IP habilitado no Proxy WINS habilitado no Lista de b squeda de sufijos DNS domain name Adaptador de Ethernet Conexi n de rea local Estado de los medios medios desconectados Sufijo DNS espec fico para la conexi n Descripci n TAP-Win Adapter V Direcci n f sica -FF- - B- D-A DHCP habilitado s Configuraci n autom tica habilitada s Adaptador de Ethernet Conexi n de rea local Estado de los medios medios desconectados Sufijo DNS espec fico para la conexi n Descripci n Atheros AR PCI-E Fast Et hernet Controller NDIS Direcci n f sica B - -F - - C- F DHCP habilitado s Configuraci n autom tica habilitada s Adaptador de LAN inal mbrica Conexi n de red inal mbrica Sufijo DNS espec fico para la conexi n domain name Descripci n Adaptador de red Broadcom n Direcci n f sica - -F - - D-D DHCP habilitado s Configuraci n autom tica habilitada s V nculo direcci n IPv local fe fa d b a f f Preferido Direcci n IPv Preferido M scara de subred Concesi n obtenida martes de diciembre de a m La concesi n expira mi rcoles de diciembre de a m Puerta de enlace predeterminada Servidor DHCP IAID DHCPv DUID de cliente DHCPv - - - - -CF- C-B -B - -F - - C- F Servidores DNS NetBIOS sobre TCP IP habilitado Adaptador de t nel isatap domain name Estado de los medios medios desconectados Sufijo DNS espec fico para la conexi n domain name Descripci n Adaptador ISATAP de Microsoft Direcci n f sica - - - - - - -E DHCP habilitado no Configuraci n autom tica habilitada s Adaptador de t nel Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Sufijo DNS espec fico para la conexi n Descripci n Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Direcci n f sica - - - - - - -E DHCP habilitado no Configuraci n autom tica habilitada s Direcci n IPv e b fe b e Pre ferido V nculo direcci n IPv local fe b fe b e Preferido Puerta de enlace predeterminada NetBIOS sobre TCP IP deshabilitado Adaptador de t nel isatap B DA - - CA -AB C- AA DA Estado de los medios medios desconectados Sufijo DNS espec fico para la conexi n Descripci n Adaptador ISATAP de Microsoft Direcci n f sica - - - - - - -E DHCP habilitado no Configuraci n autom tica habilitada s Adaptador de t nel isatap AEBE -CDFE- C - E- C A B Estado de los medios medios desconectados Sufijo DNS espec fico para la conexi n Descripci n Adaptador ISATAP de Microsoft Direcci n f sica - - - - - - -E DHCP habilitado no Configuraci n autom tica habilitada s nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

I m having the same problem as another user Baduga whose thread is copied below I did download the driver version for the Broadcom b g WLAN device which was released February However when I try to connect to a secured wireless network it seems to see the router but just spins and spins with the message quot acquiring will connect HP not mini wireless a to network secured network address quot and HP mini will not connect to a secured wireless network it never actually connects Baduga below also had this problem once the drivers were updated He reported the fix was by following the instructions on HP customer service page that flavallee linked earlier It turns out my password was missing from the association page of the wireless network connection Can someone give that link again and be explicit about what you have to do to get to the association page of the wireless network connection and exactly which password needs to be entered there Many thanks NeverHadSoMany Problems with Wireless Connections Success at last Here is the support and software site for the HP Mini NR netbook You need to add and save this site to your browser favorites bookmarks list so you can refer to it when needed It came with Windows XP Home Edition SP pre-installed Here is the link to driver version for the Broadcom b g WLAN device which was released February Download and save the driver close all open windows first then double-click the saved file to install the driver then restart your computer I ll leave you with TerryNet from this point on if you need any further assistance ---------------------------------------------------------------- baduga Junior Member with posts Join Date Dec Experience Intermediate -Dec- PM Great I try this and let you know if it works Thanks flavallee Trusted Advisor with posts Join Date May Location Brandon Valrico Florida Experience Advanced -Dec- PM Please keep us posted and advise if you need further help ---------------------------------------------------------------- baduga Junior Member with posts Join Date Dec Experience Intermediate -Dec- PM Downloaded driver didn t change a thing Ready to pull my hair out baduga Junior Member with posts Join Date Dec Experience Intermediate -Dec- PM Ok guys after all this I finally fixed it by following the instructions on HP customer service page that flavallee linked earlier It turns out my password was missing from the association page of the wireless network connection Once I imput my password click on explorer and there it was finally connected No more quot acquiring address quot either nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-mini-will-not-connect-to-a-secured-wireless-network.1008216/
Relevancy 73.53%

My wife brought a new laptop home from work and we have been trying to connect it to our home network without success. Network was set up for me 4-5 years ago. It is security enabled but does not use mac addresses. Router in linksys wrt54g. Laptop is running XP. Have tried numerous recorded passwords on laptop but will not connect. Have logged into my router but do not see where to make alterations to allow another connection but max users is set to 50 so this is not the problem. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 73.53%

Hello I recently installed Vista Ultimate upgrading from XP SP and I ve been having problems connecting to my router D-Link DIR- I have Vista on all my Connection + Secured Vista Solved: Network other computers and none of Solved: Vista + Secured Network Connection them have a problem connecting and this computer was fine before when XP was installed too Specs iMac running Vista Ultimate with boot camp Network drivers up to date installed it off the bootcamp cd the st time and the nd time i just let windows update get one for me all to no avail Router D-Link DIR- Security WPA Personal TKIP - tried with every other type of encryption besides WEP and the only time I can connect is when I remove the password fully and leave the network unsecured but that s inconvinient So yeah basically I m not sure exactly what to do the password is set right I ve been trying for quite a bit of time now to make it work but Windows just says quot Connection timeout quot I diagnose and retry and the same thing happens Anyone know what s causing this or maybe has some potential fixes Please and thanks If all fails I guess I ll just buy a LAN cable and wire the connection Thanks again nbsp

A:Solved: Vista + Secured Network Connection

Fixed...

While browsing through your forums I decided to look around at the tweaks for Vista and one of them was talking about services, so while trying to speed up my computer a bit and remove services I don't really need I came over the "IP Helper" service.

Disabling IPv6 over the IPv4 (the process) seems to have fixed the issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-vista-secured-network-connection.770363/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello I bought router on issue secured network Belkin a Belkin wireless n router and two Belkin usb adapters On an unsecured environment everything secured network issue on Belkin router runs properly on all my machines Once I try to secure the network WEP or WPA I can access the network from a laptop running Windows Seven with integrated wifi adapter from an old laptop running XP SP with the Belkin USB adapter BUT NOT from a Desktop ACER T and NOT from an Acer T Since the network works properly with two machines and with the Belkin USB adapter I suppose that the problem lies on the ACER T - T machines which were configured at the same period I contacted the Belkin helpdesk and after several hours of checking the network configuration no solution was found When working with fix IP addresses My computer indicates a connexion to the router but without internet and the router doesn t see the computer When working with automatic IP addresses no connexion is possible When I disable the WEP or WPA encryption all machines can connect properly Does anyone have an idea of where the problem coul reside Used material usb adapter Belkin F D ed version ed Router Belkin F D - V Windows XP SP build xpsp sp gdr - nbsp

Relevancy 72.67%

I am running a secure wireless network using a CradlePoint MBR-1000. I currently have 2 Dell computers and 2 Toshiba computers running Windows XP that work great. I just purchased 2 new Toshiba computers (Model L550) to replace the old ones and they run Windows 7. I cannot get them to run on the wireless network.

I have upgraded the firmware on the CradlePoint to the latest version and that did not help. The Toshiba sees the network "ZZZ" but gives an error message of "limited access" and will not allow any internet access.

Help please!

Relevancy 72.24%

Okay, usually when you hover over the networks listed and available from the taskbar icon, you get a nice little window with a few helpful tidbits of info for each listed network when you mouse action hover over the names. It tells you the encryption type, and the SSID, plus a few other details.

Well, on my computer, the information is appearing behind the list to where I can't read it. The network list is overlapping on top of the hover info. Talk about annoying. I searched for various things on google, with no luck. I tried:

Windows 7 network list obscuring hover details, and various other combinations to no avail. Anyone here have a clue what might be breaking this? I'd like the hover details to appear properly so I can read it. In the meantime I've installed the free version of Acrylic Wifi to work around the issue. Thanks.

A:Wifi Network info/details appearing behind Network List on hover.

The problem must be driver based or an add-on program because I don't get any of that. All I get is the name and whether it's connected or not. Check that your adaptor driver is up to date and/or the program you use to display the data is up to date.

Forgot to mention:
Dell adds "bloatware" to their PCs to "improve the user's experience" so I would check Dell Support for your specific model and look for updates.

Dell Support

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/366682-wifi-network-info-details-appearing-behind-network-list-hover.html
Relevancy 72.24%

PRODUCT: HP Chromebook 11 G4S/N: 5CD5515QDCGoogle Chrome OS Version 50.0.2661.103Platform 7978.74.0Firmware Google_Kip.5216.227.25 This device is frustrating my spouse to no end.  It keeps dropping our home wifi network connection.  I have to shutdown power, wait, and power back on and it refreshes.  This is annoying. I am seriously considering returning this device.  The whole point of this purchase was stability and ease of browsing and light internet use.  Frustration is not part of the purchase.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Network-Connection-Error-Dropped-Home-WiFi-Network-only-on/td-p/5638654
Relevancy 71.81%

I am using a Cisco WRT g wireless router with WPA encryption enabled One Vista laptop was configured to connect to the Network Devices Secured Accomodate Types Won't With Security?? of Different Wireless secure router It always connected and accessed the internet with no problem Yesterday I added a second laptop to the network It was an older Gateway running XP I used a wired connection to link it to the router rather than wireless because the laptop Secured Wireless Network Won't Accomodate Devices With Different Types of Security?? s wireless NIC couldn t detect the router I assumed because of the router s security settings I haven t inspected the older laptop s wireless settings in detail because the wired connection was convenient to setup The router accepted this older laptop via the wired conncetion with no problem The laptop could instantly access the internet and perform all internet related functions completely Secured Wireless Network Won't Accomodate Devices With Different Types of Security?? I am using it to write this message Problem The Vista laptop could not access the internet when the XP laptop was conncected to the router and powered on The Vista laptop detected the router but would not access the internet Limewire couldn t connect either As long as the older laptop was powered off I could restart the Vista laptop and it would connect to the internet with no problems However as soon as I powered up the older laptop the router would somehow be affected in such a way that the Vista laptop could no longer access the internet It wasn t until I disabled all wireless security in both the router and Vista Laptop that I was able to access the internet through both laptops concurrently Obviously security settings were somehow the problem I am posting this hoping that readers will understand and explain to me why the problem occurred in greater depth than just quot security settings were the problem quot I want to increase my wireless networking knowledge Please help nbsp

A:Secured Wireless Network Won't Accomodate Devices With Different Types of Security??

perhaps something is wrong with the gateway wireless, i take it onboard as you didn't say.
check device manager to see if the wireless adapter is shown with the caveat that "working ok" it may not really work.

even with older wep encryption it should pickup the signal, just can't connect because of wpa2 encryption.

no big surprise that it could connect wired.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/secured-wireless-network-wont-accomodate-devices-with-different-types-of-security.627631/
Relevancy 71.81%

hello there... i am using dell vostro 1015, operating system windows xp professional service pack 2.i hav installed the dell wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n driver from atheros which is up to date(version 9.1.0.326) the problem is i can connect to an open wifi but cant connect to a secured wireless network of my hostel.it has channel no.2, WPA2-personal authentication,AES-CCMP data encryption.actually the password is 9 digits bt when i enter it gives an error-"the network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your netork configuration.this can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters." but password is actually 9 digits and it is correct as i am using the same passord to connect my mobile to this wifi.plz help... i hav also tried another drivers from dell official site.bt they r not working... plz help...

Relevancy 71.81%

I presently have desktops One is connected via wireless Netgear adapter I have the network secured with WPA It works fine The problem is I wireless secured to laptop Problem Solved: connecting network m trying to connect my laptop with a compatible same family Mbps wireless pc card I can connect to my neighbor s unsecured network which is across the street and about feet away with a weak Solved: Problem connecting wireless laptop to secured network signal yet downloads are quick The laptop is about Solved: Problem connecting wireless laptop to secured network feet from my router I finally got it to briefly connect to my secured network and then it apparently lost the connection I can t get beyond google s home page Netgear says it s connected but something it preventing the connection The firewall in the laptop is disabled If I type ipconfig I get IP address Subnet mask Default Gateway If I type ping www google com I get timed outs I ve downloaded Netgear s latest drivers for the laptop Suggestions Operating system Solved: Problem connecting wireless laptop to secured network in the laptop is XP Home Ed with everything updated nbsp

Relevancy 71.81%

We're thinking of replacing Belkin Router with BT Hub to make secured network because i have tried changed to WPA but no computer can access them, so i changed back to WEP and use them currently.

Is BT Hub any good? or

I thinking if BT Hub wont interrupt my game playing (Runescape) because when the phone rangs and someone answered and connection to Rune disconnected.

I use Belkin USB.

A:Thinking of replacing Belkin Router with BT Hub to make secured network?

I can't make heads or tails of what your issue is.

You use USB, but you're thinking of replacing the router, which obviously doesn't use USB.

Why don't you start with some information about what you currently have and the exact issue.

Please supply the following info, exact models of the equipment please.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify.
Make/model of the router (if any).
Connection type, wired, wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home SP2.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/thinking-of-replacing-belkin-router-with-bt-hub-to-make-secured-network.617779/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have windows 7 32 bit on my hp 530 notebook. Since a few days when i try to connect to any network it shows connected but when i click on networks it says identifying network. I do have the latest drivers. I have windows 8 installed and wifi works fine in it.

Please reply.

Relevancy 71.38%

Is there a way to setup network profiles or something so that when I bring my Surface Pro to work and connect to the wireless network there it will use the static ip address I have but when I disconnect and then connect to my home wifi it will go back to DHCP? On my MacBook Pro I can go into the network settings and change the location profile I have setup for networks but I don't see anything like this for Windows 8.

A:Specific network settings based on wifi network

You can go into IPv4 Properties of this NIC, then you can use the Alternate configuration tab to set up the alternate IP, or use the Advanced tab to add a static IP/gateway/DNS etc. to TCP/IP.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/29158-specific-network-settings-based-wifi-network.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I'm building a subscription wifi network for our area.

Cisco Aironet 1550 series: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps11451/data_sheet_c78-641373.html
Proxim Orinocor series: http://www.proxim.com/products/enterprise-wireless-lan-wi-fi-mesh/orinocor-wi-fi-mesh-series

The Proxim seems like the better product, and sells for a bit less.

Will I need to purchase anything else besides several of these for the network? I'm assuming the 'home' router connects to a PC (or the PC via the gateway address) for managing the network.

Thanks allot for your insight.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-wimax-network-creating-a-subscription-network.1011867/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi there I have a secured WPA enabled network my modem router is TP-Linlk TD-W N I have my PC Window hard wired connected ethernet cable amp my laptop XP SP connected via wireless I sometimes SP3 my secured unsecured? running baloon shows WPA2 XP lappy network pop up have recently noticed that on my lappy when I log into to my secured network and put in security WPA2 secured network my lappy running XP SP3 sometimes shows pop up baloon unsecured? key that WPA2 secured network my lappy running XP SP3 sometimes shows pop up baloon unsecured? is very very strong password I sometimes for a moment on lappy get a baloon pop-up saying unsecured yet under network search for area it shows my network and its WPA ebnabled I have read doing a little bit of google research before posting for help it can be a bit of an XP thing and basically dont worry about it WPA2 secured network my lappy running XP SP3 sometimes shows pop up baloon unsecured? s all good I just want to make sure my network is safe amp no one is on it other thasn myself or my family I dont want my bandwith and stolen or my privacy and connection comprimised How can I tell its all safe and no-one apart from me or my family is using my network

A:WPA2 secured network my lappy running XP SP3 sometimes shows pop up baloon unsecured?

I have recently noticed that on my lappy when I log into to my secured network and put in security key (that is very very strong password) ...Is there a reason why don't you let Windows remember your network SSID & pre-shared key?How can I tell its all safe and no-one apart from me or my family is using my network?Review your router logs. I don't know about the particulars of your router, but routers can log many events. For example, your router could be logging DHCP events (or maybe you can configure that) which can tell you which devices use your router.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/449682/wpa2-secured-network-my-lappy-running-xp-sp3-sometimes-shows-pop-up-baloon-unsecured/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi I m hoping someone on here can help I ll try and keep this brief we were having problems with our netgear router DGN mainly with connection when online gaming with PS generally poor connection - so purchased a TP-Link router TD-W no network to wirelessly Solved: connect or unsecured Can longer home secured N We could usually access the netgear wirelessly on Solved: Can no longer connect wirelessly to secured or unsecured home network our laptops Dell and Acer Aspire T both Windows without any problems and were still doing so last night However hubby attempted to install the new router last night and all seemed to go fine but after installing we couldn t connect to the wireless network through laptops iphone ps etc - even though we could see the network with excellent strength after hours of trying called TP-Link they went through everything they could think of and still no joy Gave up in the end and went to reinstall the netgear Router and now we have the same problem with this router even though earlier in the night it wasn t a problem - we deleted the previous networks so there was nothing stored in memory amp tried everything we can think of although neither of us are brilliant with IT we do usually get by We even set up an unsecured wireless network on both routers and still couldn t connect - any advice would be greatly received - many thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Can no longer connect wirelessly to secured or unsecured home network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-no-longer-connect-wirelessly-to-secured-or-unsecured-home-network.998058/
Relevancy 70.09%

I Bought Pavilion -ab tx available ... Wifi every and network shows no access network no one and half month ago and it started having this problem weeks after buying Wifi suddenly disconnects and then it shows no networks available even when there are many Wifi shows no network available and no network access every ... networks available Mobile phone always show that they are available nbsp nbsp Wireless card nbsp Realtek RTL BE RTL EE b g n OS - Windows -bit nbsp I have tried everything to solve this System restore Recovery Updating BIOS Reseting using CMD updating wireless driver rolling back the driver to initial one But nothing has helped yet It shows the network is available if I'm sitting next to modem Then also it doesn't show other Wifi shows no network available and no network access every ... wifi Wifi shows no network available and no network access every ... networks around my home that my phone does nbsp nbsp Now obviously laptop's wifi is supposed to be better than the mobile phone's wifi but its just the opposite here The problem might be here that it loses its strength every now and then but whatever it is I'm terribly disappointed in the product that I've bought nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-shows-no-network-available-and-no-network-access-every/td-p/5674339
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi there

This USB Wifi adapter seems to be a MEGA performer --Lovely finally to be able to THINK of getting rid of LAN cables all over the place.

I've no probs with decent HD Movie streaming from a SERVER with one of these (I unplugged the LAN and inserted the USB Wifi adapter into a USB3 slot --note this needs genuine USB3 to work at proper speed). My Home router can deliver 802.11ac so no probs there.

Brilliant piece of kit and NO MORE CABLES !!!!!!. Wifi will soon be able to deliver comparable speeds to LAN especially for HOME networks. !!!

Here's the UK Link but is available in US and Europe. In any case it's delivered (in my case) by Amazon S.A.R.L (Luxembourg) so no tax !!!. even though I ordered from UK web site --they will ship outside UK tax free.

USB-AC56 | Networking | ASUS UK

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/38950-finally-can-retire-wired-network-wifi-usb-ac56-wifi-802-11ac.html
Relevancy 64.93%

PCs are Win Ultimate All are joined to the Domain Domain Controller DNS DHCP Server on same instance is Server standard The network topology is like this Router as Internet Gateway gt Switch identifying Cards will only or intermittently, Inside the Domain-Joined no Network when network Connections will Network longer, Network join Domain PC from gt Wired to Server and PC's SIP phones and Wireless Access Point Domain-Joined PC Network Cards will no longer, or will only intermittently, join the Domain Network when identifying Network Connections from Inside network all on same subnet DNS and DHCP have been offloaded Domain-Joined PC Network Cards will no longer, or will only intermittently, join the Domain Network when identifying Network Connections from Inside network to Server Roles and switched off on the router All of the PCs have network cards that have joined the domain network at least some of the time since I set them up Some of them have always picked up the domain network and continue to this day Some of them intermittently pick up the domain network and other times join whatever other unmanaged network is available Some of them have stopped picking up the domain network altogether and will no matter how many times their NICs are restarted always join a non-domain unmanaged network When the NICs are not joining the domain they are unable to ping hostnames of any devices on the network but nslookup of the hostnames usually works The DC DNS DHCP server's IP can be pinged without issue ipv or ipv I am recording DNS Client Errors ID on all of the PCs during the intervals when their NICs are identifying which network to join -On the PCs that are catching the domain network I am only getting a single error about the root domain eg the domain is ad domain com and I am only getting errors about how the configured DNS servers cannot resolve domain com nothing with fully qualified domain names eg server ad domain com -On the PCs that are not catching the domain network I get a few different instances of the same error substituted quot domain quot for my root domain name Name resolution for the name WPAD ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name lt DC-DNS-DHCPSERVERNAME gt ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name LDAP TCP DC MSDCS ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name ISATAP ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Based on what I've read about NLA service choosing the domain to log into I believe this rd error is the big one although I guess the big error is that my configured DNS servers are not responding except to NSLookups From what I understand the Network Location Awareness Service Provider will roughly do the following look into the registry to see if there is an entry for a domain network to join and if there is it will attempt to contact the domain controller of the same domain name If it is successful with both parts it will join the domain network named quot ad domain com quot If not it will fall back to one of the other options ie home private public quot whatever its called network quot I have tried many of the fixes presented for similar issues but I haven't found anything that's worked A few things I have tried while cycling my NICs on and off to test -turned off the firewall nbsp -poked holes in the firewall for TCP UDP port -poked holes in the firewall for TCP UDP port -ipconfig flushdns ipconfig registerdns -netsh int ip reset -netsh reset Winsock catalog and restarted -route f and restarted -turned off DHCP Client Service -restarted DHCP client Service -turned off IPV on NICs -hard-coded DNS servers IPV and -hard-coded static IPs and DNS Servers only IPV -sfc scannow to scan for integrity violations All of these and also some combinations of these and more that I can't remember One more p... Read more

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/303bcde4-6a0b-4bc4-baff-929f0b6b4261/domainjoined-pc-network-cards-will-no-longer-or-will-only-intermittently-join-the-domain-network?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 64.5%

I was having some network problems and in the course of fixing them I uninstalled the network driver for my TP-Link AC Archer T UH USB network card This card has been working without a problem Network no but Connected internet" "Secured, to for months on and Ghz channels and at high speeds gt Mbps When I attempted to reinstall the drivers I can get connected to the WiFi but I get the Windows message quot Secured no internet I have tried numerous drivers and I have now tried to connect using two separate NIC cards I had an old n usb adapter as well as a Ghz wireless bridge that I used to Connected to Network but "Secured, no internet" use that connects to the PC via ethernet All of these have connected to the network but I get the same quot Secured no internet quot message The only thing I can think of at this point is that I've somehow screwed up the adapter I've looked at that ipv settings are they are all set to quot Obtain an ip address automatically quot and do not have a DNS name specified I have attempted all the windows repair options as well and they return telling me their may be something wrong with the driver Connected to Network but "Secured, no internet" or the adapter I'm at wits end Any suggestions would be appreciated

A:Connected to Network but "Secured, no internet"

Hi,
Welcome to the forums, if you have any third party AV programs, disable or uninstall it, go to device manager, right click Wi-Fi adapter, Properties and uninstall the driver. Reboot your PC/Laptop and let Windows install the driver, go to IPV4 as you have done before, click the radio button "Use the following DNS addresses...." and enter Open DNS address(in the snip) or google dns address.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/39091-connected-network-but-secured-no-internet.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I cannot connect to certain wireless networks.

- I can connect for example to wifi at my University or a public network such as The Cloud and even BT Open zone, all of these direct you to a page to logon - these work fine.
- I cannot connect to any other network, even if it is an Open network.
- I have endlessly searched Google and tried everything suggested on forums like this - however they were other peoples problems - this is the first time I have made a post.
- I have eventually caved and restored my laptop to Factory settings. The problem persists.

I have attached screen shots showing the exact problem and error messages.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

- Connecting via cable works fine - I am using that method now.

A:Cannot connect to Wifi network - "Identifying Network"

Shaun, firstly: welcome to Sevenforums!

May I suggest downloading Revo uninstaller: Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems and using it to remove your wireless driver and all bits of it. This is because the built in uninstaller doesn't often remove everything. Now go online (you mentioned connecting via LAN line works alright) and find your wireless adapter driver for your computer (should be on the manufacturer's website). Install it, enter the network password, and let me know if this solves the problem for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/205060-cannot-connect-wifi-network-identifying-network.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I have a home PC network set up with a few desktops and laptops, some wired, some wireless, all running XP professional. I recently bought a Mac G3 desktop and upgraded the operating system to OSX 10.2 I want to become familiar with mac's and their software in addition to windows. I am attempting to add the mac to my pc network and could use some help. I found the network settings on the mac but so far don't seem to be able to add that system to my existing network. I am pretty sure that it can be added but if anyone could save me some time I would appreciate it. Thanks, Vince

A:Adding a Mac to a PC network

Well, you can start by telling us if it's wired or wireless. The Mac out of the box should connect to a router with a wired connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-mac-to-a-pc-network.731281/
Relevancy 63.64%

I set up a small network here at my house. I have my computer and a laptop both sharing files and my computer sharing the printer. Both use Win XP. now i have an older computer in another room that is running Windows ME. How do i set that one up to be on the same network? I don't know ME all that well. Do i need to create a network disc? I know it asked me if i wanted to create one when I created this network but i didn't do it. Is there a way to go back and create one now? Thanks in advance.

A:Help adding a PC to a network.....

Yes, you can go back and run the Network Setup Wizard again.

But, easier if you have the XP system disk--just stick the Windows XP system disk in your ME's CD drive. When it comes up you choose (I'm not sure of the exact words) "do other tasks." One of the other tasks will be the Network Setup Wizard.

[Just make sure you don't go down some path that formats the disk or installs Windows!]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-adding-a-pc-to-a-network.451095/
Relevancy 63.21%

help,my friend upgrading to windowws 10 pro 64-bit and he has been install all driver but his dedicated video memory is 0 mb,and the wifi is no internet,secured

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-No-internet-Secured/td-p/5765862
Relevancy 63.21%

I am using pre-installed Windows 7 on Toshiba L510-432 notebook and I have problem in connecting to wifi network. There is intermittent connection should I on unsecured wifi network but worse is when connecting to secured wifi network where normally the message is 'mismatched key'. Upon trying many times, it gets connected but to 'Limited Access - No Network Access'. This happens every time connecting to secured wifi connection.

Using Realtek RTL8187B adapter. I have updated Windows 7 and have also updated Realtek driver.

How to solve this problem?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/my-win-7-can-t-connect-to-secured-wifi-451356.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Windows 10; Dell Inspirion 11.
Everytime I try to connect to my WiFi it always says No Internet, secured.
I have no third party firewall. The firewall that comes with Windows 10 is enabled. I can add more information if asked. I felt like I tried everything, but I'm here because I know I am wrong.
Thank you!

A:WiFi - No Internet, Secured

Did you try???
Device Manager > Network Adapters > uninstall wifi card > search for hardware changes > let the drivers install again...
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/428112-wifi-no-internet-secured.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My laptop is "HP G62 Notebook PC". It was working fine with Wifi last three years. Now, although the wifi network is detected it is not connecting...when I select the Wifi network and enter the wifi password it is not connected.. tried changing "roaming sensitivity" setting too..but not successful..........reinstalled the driver (ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n Wifi Adapter) too, but not working.....Internet is working using the LAN cable......Please help..............I REINSTALED WINDOWS AND THE WIFI RECOGNIZED ITSELF AS WIFI A/B/G BUT THE SAME HAPPENED I PUT DRIVES FROM HP BUT NOTHING HAPENED THE SAME PROBLEM AGAIN DOES IT HAS DATE OFF EXPIRE? WIFI CARD ID IN BIOS IS VQF-RT3090BCT HP S.............. AGAIN  

A:HP G62 Notebook Wifi not connecting although wifi network de...

Hi, You have a couple of options as I see it please try these steps might help you to fix your issue. 1) Disconnect the Battery & Adapter then press & hold the power button on Notebook for 30 seconds then turn on the unit and check if the Wireless light turns on. 2) Go to Device manager then uninstall the wireless drivers and restart the unit and check if the light turns on. 3) Please update the Bios & Wireless driver from HP website. 4) If you are comfortable reseating the wireless card which will be on the back panel off your unit you could try this steps as well.  Let us know how it goes!  ****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks********Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

I am an HP Employee.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/HP-G62-Notebook-Wifi-not-connecting-although-wifi-network/td-p/5774759
Relevancy 62.78%

My laptop is "HP G62 Notebook PC". It was working fine with Wifi last three years. Now, although the wifi network is detected it is not connecting...when I select the Wifi network and enter the wifi password it is not connected.. tried changing "roaming sensitivity" setting too..but not successful..........reinstalled the driver (ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n Wifi Adapter) too, but not working.....Internet is working using the LAN cable......Please help.............. 

Relevancy 62.78%

A few day before the wifi disappers, my laptop had started to lag every few seconds. I tried to find a solution for this problem, but it was of no avail. After the last time I restarted it, it did not recognize any wifi or network. the upper keys have all stopped working, and the screen has become very bright. Moreover, troubleshooting does not recognize any problem.I'd appreciate any help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/My-wifi-has-completely-disappeard-and-no-network-or-wifi/td-p/5845674
Relevancy 62.78%

hello i have added a second router to my network in a second building at my location my dsl comes in and into my first router which is the dhcp second router on network adding server for the network in both adding second router on network buildings the ip address of the first router is and works fine with all computers online i added a second router to help the network and have made the ip address of the second router and all computers in the second building behind the second router are online and working fine my problem is on one of my computers in the first building has my quickbooks file and all the computers on the second adding second router on network router cannot see the computer that has the files in the network neighborhood before adding the second router all computers in both buildings were visible and shared and all had access to all computers how adding second router on network can i get the computers in the second building behind the second router map to the computers on the first router DSL - Router - computers online ------ second router - computers online XXX computers cannot see XXX computers want to map a network drive to group thanks robert nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I am adding a new NT server to an NT 4.0 network. When you sign on it won't take my administrator password. How can I go in and change it so it will take my administrator password so I can sign on to the Domain.

A:Adding NT server to NT network

Is this setup as a member server?

Try the local password you assigned it when you installed NT. This is normal behavior for member servers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-nt-server-to-nt-network.67977/
Relevancy 62.78%

Okay, we've got five printers in the office here, and they're all networked and every time I add a computer to the network because of a new hire, I just manually add all of the printers for them.

We just got a new printer and added it to the network.

Question: Is there a way to add this new printer to every computer in the network at once, or do I need to manually go to each computer and add that printer? Your help is greatly appreciated, as always.

A:Adding a printer to the Network

sorry, to my understanding, the client must add the network printer him/herself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-a-printer-to-the-network.73622/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi Im currently trying to add a second workstation to a network pretty simple stuff or so i thought All three machines to second adding network xp Trouble W/S are running on xp-pro The server and the first slave get along fine I can access the server from the third slave via start-run and ip address but get no network path found when i try unc path I know ive missed something fundamental but cant figure out what Trouble adding second W/S to xp network it is All user accounts have been set up correctly I p address default gateway and subnet are all fine Ive enabled netbios Normally they d be speaking by now the only thing i can think i may have missed is DNS addresses as i forgot to check Trouble adding second W/S to xp network but i reckon theyre o k Would adding the i p and computer name to lmhosts have any effect or has anyone got any ideas on what else i can try all hardware is fine and they all ping eachother I just cant resolve the unc names If anybody can point out what ive missed i d be gratefull cheers nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I have an existing network with my business using Windows 2000 Server. I want to connect a new computer to the network. Not sure how to create it

Relevancy 62.78%

I can put my w/s on other peoples computers on the network, but as I update my worksheet, the updates do not come up. I am trying to show the most current version of my worksheet on their computers, without them being able to change it. I am not as concerned about them trying to change anything, as I am with them being able to access the most current w/s. I am not really proficient in this, so please keep answers VERY simple. Thanking you in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-excel-w-s-to-network.510106/
Relevancy 62.78%

Is there built in wireless functionality or what can I do to connect this wirelessly?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-ps3-to-my-wireless-pc-network.633195/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I m new to networking but just set up a home network with a wireless D-Link DI- a friend gave me I have a wired desktop and a wireless laptop set up now My internet connection is DSL and both are Network Help Printer Adding running XP I ve configured the router and set up WPA security and everything seems fine Both can access the web no problem I have an older HP deskjet wired to the desktop that I d like the laptop to print on Everyone says just click on quot sharing quot on the printer Help Adding Network Printer properties from the desktop and then just add the printer from the laptop Problem is I can t find the printer anywhere from the laptop I click on quot add network printer or printer hooked up to another computer quot and it s not there I tried quot local printer quot and nothing I try to browse for it and nothing Is there anything else I need to do to get the network to recognize this printer Sorry for this very amateur question Thanks Dave nbsp

A:Help Adding Network Printer

Check for firewalls i.e. Windows, Norton, or McAfee. These have most likely been the culprit for me in the past.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-adding-network-printer.565920/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello:

I have a question... i was browsing through group policy and noticed that there is an option to define a website where users can click to add network printers... i was wondering how to setup that page so when they click on the pritner name it adds it to their computer?

Any help would be great!

A:Adding Network Printers

Never noticed that group policy. Where is it located?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-network-printers.214523/
Relevancy 62.78%

When i add a network printer on Windows XP Professional it only adds to the current user and i want it to add for all users. The only way i've figured out how to fix this problem is to use my login script (kix) to add the printer but my script is getting full of all the different printer for every machine. Is the anyway to add printer for all users on Windows XP?

A:Adding Network Printers

for network printer just put some IP ADRES in printer setup...

go to some other machine and search the computer name and after that you can c the printer and double click for that...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/adding-network-printers-100193.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have an existing network, all Dell with Netgear router working fine, file sharing printer sharing etc great. New (Dell) laptop on Vista cannot see other computers, their files or the printer which is connected to one of the XP systems. Vista machine shows as connected to the router and I have internet on the Vista machine. All PC's are on the same workgroup. Dell says it's not a Vista problem (haha) and I know enough to know I need help with this. BTW, it's my wife's new laptop so if you're married you understand how anxious I am to fix this.

A:Adding Vista PC to network with XP's

jtwilburt said:

I have an existing network, all Dell with Netgear router working fine, file sharing printer sharing etc great. New (Dell) laptop on Vista cannot see other computers, their files or the printer which is connected to one of the XP systems. Vista machine shows as connected to the router and I have internet on the Vista machine. All PC's are on the same workgroup. Dell says it's not a Vista problem (haha) and I know enough to know I need help with this. BTW, it's my wife's new laptop so if you're married you understand how anxious I am to fix this.Click to expand...

Did you try waiting a while , then rebooting, to see if the laptop could 'see' the other computers? Sometimes it can take a while before the router finally 'wakes up' and realizes there's another computer out there.

As for the printer, did you install the drivers included in Vista on the new laptop (don't use the disc that came with the printer unless it's a newer one that is Vista compatible). Just went through this with my new computer over the weekend.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-vista-pc-to-network-with-xps.615742/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a Canon MF3110, I have it connected to a computer running Win 7RC at the moment, I am running Win 7 Pro Full install on my main computer. I can access and print to the Canon from all 4 computers on my simple home network. How ever I can not access the Scanner from my main computer. I try to scan and I get "No Scanner Connected" popup. Any Ideas how to get the scanner to be recognized as it is part of the printer I think it should work.

Relevancy 62.78%

I need to make a new network, but I have to implement it into the other network. One is a physical bus (10base2) and the other is wired as a logical token ring. I am going to make my new network a physical star. I will not be using any wireless so this seems most logical to me. Do you think I could get away with using the hybrid topology for my logical, or should I use a ring or bus?

Relevancy 62.78%

Win XP sP2 with home network (Linksys)
HD crash I replaced it and reloaded all Programs
Existing home nework wireless has my Laptops connected & working like usual
trying to add old PC which is directly contected via RJ45 to the router
not sure how to add it back on to existing network
PC does have internet connexion
Norton 2007 firewall in place

Any ideas, suggested website or directions would be appreciated

Relevancy 62.78%

I have a very simple network problem that is bugging me. I have an XP home computer that has a Westell modem/router with Verizon DSL and it works fine. We are using it wired. My daughter came home from college, she has a Dell Dimension 4600 with a mini wan port. I plug the ethernet cable into the computer and I can't figure out how to get it to recognize the network. Occasionally, it will work for about 10 seconds and quit. I am not familiar with XP Pro at all, it looks different than XP Home. Please help me. I have tried everything I could think of and then some. My computer has XP SP3 on it if that has anything to do with it.

Relevancy 62.78%

this is probably a pretty dumb question, but my mind is a blank ...

I am running several computers plus assorted printers and an NAS box (LaCie 1TB drive) on a home LAN. All computers are running WinXP SP2. When I added the NAS box and a sharepoint, I added a single user (me). When I tried to access the NAS box from different computers, everything seemed to work fine. But what I neglected to test was accessing the NAS box using an account on any of the computers that was different (acct name and password) from the account that set up the share in the first place. So, I recently tried to access the NAS box from another account and could not. I had to log into the share using the original account name and password.

So, how do I add additional users? I can not seem to find a hook into the share attributes to add users.

A:Adding Network User

What's the model number of the NAS?

Chances are you add users in the NAS's webpage.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-network-user.754600/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi, I currently have a home network with a Dell Demension 2400 desktop computer as the main computer and a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop. Both of them have Window XP. I would like to connect two new Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7 to the network. Is this possible to do with different versions of Windows?

Relevancy 62.78%

I have an XP machine that I reformatted and reloaded Windows on, now I'm trying to add network connection back (we're on a LAN). I can't seem to get it to recognize network. Also the "add user" screen looks different than before.

Thanks.

Dana

A:Re-adding computer to network

Hello and Welcome to TSF,

Did you install the drivers for the pc?
Did you add protection?
Did you update the windows?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/re-adding-computer-to-network-380474.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a home network that is up and running. It consists of a cable modem, a non-wireless router and two computers.

My cable provider provides me with two DHCP IP addresses that are pingable on the Internet.

I would like to connect a second router to my network and give it the second DHCP IP address that my Internet providers gives me.

How would I do that?

Thank you

Relevancy 62.78%

Here is my network config.

PC A <wired> wireless 2wire gateway
Xbox 360 <wireless> wireless 2wire gateway

need to add

PC B <wireless> wireless 2wire gateway

Both PCs are running Win XP. Have gone through network wizard to add PC, both have same network, "Home" and same WEP.

I see 2wire gateway in the list of wireless connections on PC B but when I click on it to connect to that network I get an error message...
Code:
Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of availiable networks, and try to connect again
Am I missing setting a configuration?

Relevancy 62.78%

We have 3 computers. All running win2K. Would like to put them all on a network, preferably wireless if possible. How hard is this going to be and what do we need to know to install the network? What are some reputable brands for equipment? Thanks

Relevancy 62.35%

Hey there I need to wifi a certain connect 10 after upgrading Win Can't to secured a laptop for my studies - that's why I looked for my HP Laptop I used three years ago First thing I did was upgrading to Windows I didn't have any problems doing that at home connected to my home wifi When I'm at school there are two wifi networks one secured wifi and one unsecured wifi If you connect to the unsecured one a log in browser window pops up asking for a username and password When connecting to the secured one the credentials are the exact same ones Can't connect to a certain secured wifi after upgrading to Win 10 BUT I don't have any problems connecting to the unsecured one Problems occur when I try to connect to the secured faster one This morning I was able to use the secured one After or hours I was kicked out and ever since I am not able to reconnect to the secured one The latest drivers for the network adapter are installed I also tried adding the network manually I unchecked quot Varify the server's identity by validating the certificate quot Now I am asked to put in my username and password in a system window - but it doesn't go through and I am asked over and over again without any established connection Any ideas what to do

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/66460-cant-connect-certain-secured-wifi-after-upgrading-win-10-a.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I went from XP to Windows 10.  Quite a change!! How do I change from 0pen wifi to a secured connection?  Will need very detailed instructions if possible. ThankYou

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Changing-open-wifi-to-secured/td-p/5782811
Relevancy 62.35%

in my laptop ..it shows wifi connected but secured then when i open my browser its show there is no internet connection... how to resolve tis issue 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/when-wifi-shows-connected-and-secured/td-p/5755723
Relevancy 62.35%

After installing Windows 10 today my WiFi will not connect. I have installed (Ralink RT3290 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adaptor) sp71571 and when i connect wifi it will say no internet secured plzzz suggest me how to fix this problem....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/wifi-connected-but-say-no-internet-secured/td-p/5697957
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi

When I attempt to add one of my websites (Request Rejected) to network locations -
i receive an error. Depending upon how i attempt to do it I either get
"network address can not be found"
or
"invalid, may be password protected, of may contain a \ or /"

one old program I use is frontpage
if I select "open site" - I get an error using the website url

other than telling me not to use FrontPage - are there any ideas?

I used to (pre-windows 8) be able to add a website as a network location.
windows 10 still has the option.
but it does not seem to work

thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/50578-adding-website-network-locations.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Currently I have two routers on Router Second/Third Adding Solved: Network on my network with one of Solved: Adding Second/Third Router on Network them being a wireless router I have a connection from my modem going into my linksys wireless router I have laptops connected wirelessly to that router I have a connection from the wireless router running through the floor to the basement and it is connected to the WAN port on a wired linksys router My desktop computer is connected to Solved: Adding Second/Third Router on Network the wired router The IP Address for my wireless router is The IP Address for my wired router is My desktop through the wired router connects to the internet just fine Here is where it gets different I have an old D-Link wireless router with a Solved: Adding Second/Third Router on Network built in print server I would like to add this to my network and have my printer plugged into it so that it is much easier to print to one printer from all the connected computers I tried just putting a connection from one of the LAN ports on the wired router to the WAN port on the D-Link and changing the IP address on the D-Link to I did this by plugging a connection from an LAN port on the D-Link to the NIC on my laptop I was unable to send a successful print job to the printer from any of the computers except from the laptop directly connected to the D-Link Beyond changing the IP address on the D-Link I did not change any other settings on that router and did not setup the wireless part of it because I don t want to connect to it wirelessly but maybe I have to Any ideas Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

How do I go about making a computer on one network a part of another when it's not directly connected to it? Do I have to use an IP address somewhere?
What I'm really trying to do is connect to another computer of mine that's in a different part of town.
I've tried using PcAnywhere and Remote Desktop, but it can't connect to the computer......a full week of connection mayhem.

A:Adding Remote Computer to Network

Exactly how are you connected... wired, wireless? Cable? Satellite?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-remote-computer-to-network.81022/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a 3 XP PC network. I want to add a Vista pc. The linksys wireless network is secure. I cannot get the Vista pc to see the XP PC network and vice versa. I need to share files and printers just like when I took off the computer I'm replacing. I gave the vista pc my workgroug name and it says its connected. Stepping back, When I first fired up the vista it did connect through the router straight to the internet. It just won't recognize the network at the router. i've tried all the help stuff. It supposed to be set-up corretly.

A:Solved: Adding vista PC to a XP network

See if this helps: PC Chuck's Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-adding-vista-pc-to-a-xp-network.739874/
Relevancy 61.92%

I cannot add a network printer to my Vista computer Using Add Printer in the Control Panel and clicking on Problem adding network printer Next after highlighting Adding a network wireless or Bluetooth printer a list of available network printers opens up including Problem adding network printer the one I wish to install Dell cnw Color Printer Selecting it and clicking Next a new window opens with a progress bar and a note saying Connecting to Dell cnw Color Printer I can see it is trying to connect but after a while it stops with the following message Windows cannot connect to the printer Operation could not be completed error x c On this Vista machine the printer appears as a network printer attached to a Windows computer The printer has also been installed successfully on an XP computer in my home network Novice Computer Solution offers a free download of a program to solve the problem but I don t feel sure if that would be safe to use Does anyone know about this program or have any other suggestion for solving the problem

A:Problem adding network printer

Is it actually hooked up to a Windows7 machine using a windows7 driver? I noticed my Epson printer did not like to be hooked to Windows7 and only liked to be connected to the Vista machine(they made no W7 driver for it. It printed locally fine but would not publish the driver over the network if hooked to W7.)

You might have better luck posting on the forum of the machine that actually has the printer, if it is hooked to W7.

In any case I found the driver download page if that's any help:

Drivers & Downloads

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/290693-problem-adding-network-printer.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I only have this problem with Win Pro x regardless of the version build numbers After making a few connections to my network location that I add in this case a WebDAV file server for school I use Windows will eventually decide that the Adding Fails Locations Network Always location doesn't exist anymore If I remove the drive and add it again via quot Add a Network Location quot no matter what address I enter the location quot doesn't exist quot The wizard will start I give it an address and after a few moments it tells me it Adding Network Locations Always Fails cannot find the drive while the Windows Security box's bar is still moving from left to right trying to connect If I use a third-party program it will work at first like above but after I connect so many times after system shut downs these programs will eventually stop working too but they at least retain a cache so I can view my drive offline this is because Windows Explorer decides again the location doesn't exist If I decide to boot via my Win install it works as I would expect it to I've done everything I can think of to rule it out including Disable AV suiteMake sure networking related services are runningUse DMZ on router briefly to rule it outUsing Windows TroubleshooterDisable firewall Interesting enough this is a relatively clean install My first Win install had huge problems with the v update so I formatted and installed Win v This problem exactly the same occurred with my first install too eventually just ceasing to work like now At this point I'm lost and don't know if this can be fixed or if this is another problem to add to the list of quot Windows killed networking in general quot Here's a CBS log if anyone is curious but fixing with an install wim repair doesn't change it nor does it probably help that I change my login background which I know also makes the system find errors It'd be great if this is something that can be fixed

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/32972-adding-network-locations-always-fails.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Okay, 1st of all I know next to nothing about Apples, but here goes. I have someone with a Linksys WRT54GC router on their network. She would like to be able to hop on with her Apple. It is running Mac OS 9.2.1 and Airport v. 1.3.1. I've not attempted to add an Apple to a network before. I did go into the area where you add networks and found the router. It saw the router, but it kept going back & forth between getting "status update" to "no status update." I'm not at that site, but if anyone has any tips on what I should be looking for/doing, I'd appreciate it. If you need to know something else about the Apple, please be specific on where to find the info as I don't know my way around them much at all. I just hunt & click. Thanks so much.

A:Adding a IBook to a Wireless network

I take it i'm not the only one who knows next to nothing about Apples?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-ibook-to-a-wireless-network.577276/
Relevancy 61.92%

I purchased the HP Photosmart 5510 wireless printer yesterday and I have been unable to add it to my wireless network.

I have gone through the wizard setup on the printer itself and was able to find and log on to the wireless network. The printer indicates I am connected, but when I attempt to complete the software installation on the computer, it stalls during the checking network environment and does not complete. I have tried going through the add a printer process, but it hangs during the searching for network printer check. I do not have a firewall running that would prevent its detection.

I was able to add the printer using a USB cable, but I need it to be wireless and not located next to the Dell.

Any thoughts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-wireless-hp-printer-to-my-network.1041761/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello guys

My situation, is that i have an XP and a Vista computer on a home network.
Can anybody tell me how to add a Third computer running windows 7.

A friend of mine linked them up a while ago, but this time i will print any instructions out for future freference.
I could go messing around, and have seen various ways of going about this, as people tell you to do different things, it probably all works the same in the end, but i would like just to follow some instructions and any advice that may be given......

So thats 2 computers already networked thats XP and Vista and just like to know How to network windows 7 with these two........

Windows 7 / home premium / 32 bit

Thanks for any replys in advance....

A:Adding a computer to a Home network

Carl606,
I would like to help, but I need to know a few more things about how your network is setup. You said "XP and a Vista computer on a home network", how do you have this setup? Are you using a router/switch? Did you setup Windows Networking and/or HomeGroups between the two machines? Are both machines in the same room and wired to the network or wireless?

If you already have a network, then just add the Windows 7 to the same "Workgroup" and you should be able to at least see the other machines from there.

The tricky part is sharing and then connecting to the other machines, especially connecting to the W7 box from XP.

If you can reply with some more info, I believe you will get an answer quickly.

cibertek
The Cibertek Blog

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/64606-adding-computer-home-network.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have an AMD 906 MHz 384 Ram desktop thats running on XPHome SP2 and a Celeron 2.6 GHz 192 MB Ram (recently installed XPHome SP2) that are networked using a Linksys DSL router. I have a couple of questions that I need help with please:
1. The network connection is not longer visible... I've tried to ping the other machine without success.
2. I suspect that the Security settings are blocking the network. How do I reset those to allow the network connections?
3. I have been given a Linksys wireless Model WAP11 that I would like to add to the system. How do I do that and how can I ensure the security on the network when using the laptop wireless?

Thank you
Rim shot

A:Adding wireless laptop to network

I would setup the wireless without security first. after it works, add security settings. this page may help, http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-wireless-laptop-to-network.365730/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi I m trying to network my home with tons of ports However since some of these ports are really hard to wire up and we re not so interested in having double or triple ports all over my question is this If I added a port in a room now which is then connected to a switch which is connected to a router which is then connected to a modem which is finally connected to the internet is it possible to later on connect yet another switch there Will there be any problems connecting to the internet or sharing files or printers etc from this switches home Adding network to new switch with other computers connected with the earlier switch configuration then would be switch-switch-router-modem No before suggesting it wireless networking is out since the port in question is going to be used for a media player and file transfer speed is top priority We re thinking that we might place another computer or two in the future These cables do not exceed m total length shouldn t be anything more than m All Adding switches to home network cables are CAT some Cat e not Cat or Cat e Right now with the switch-router-modem setup computers connected to both the switch can connect with computers connected to the router which has wireless and computers connected via wireless File printer sharing and internet is all without problem As I don t have a second switch yet and may not get one for awhile I would not be able to just connect it up and see if it works which is why I m posting for some help Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Adding switches to home network

Right now, with the switch-router-modem setupClick to expand...

I usually draw it the other way round, but you're on the right track.

You can cable switch-switch-switch until you go dizzy OR you reach the connection
limit of your router (most home routers support a MAX of 10 concurrent connections).
You can also place a switch on EVERY port of the router and then switch-switch-switch again.

The control of your network is the ROUTER; a switch is a non-configurable device
and transparent to everything.

Heck; for a roommate, I even have
modem--routerA--switch--routerB​HOWEVER, systems attached to A can not see/share with those on B which is
what we want.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-switches-to-home-network.106257/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a peer to peer network of about 5 PCs running win 98SE and a few assorted printers. They are connected by an ethernet network, and access the internet via a linksys DSL router. We were all happy campers until I added a new PC running XP home edition. At first it seemed to be OK since XP saw all the other PCs, then I took that network upgrade disc that XP makes and loaded it into all my PCs, and life really started getting complex.

Is there a good article someone can point me to that shows how to integrate an XP into a 98 PtoP network.

A:Adding a XP machine to a small 98 network

Howdy

Maybe this link will help

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

buck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-xp-machine-to-a-small-98-network.70188/
Relevancy 61.92%

Good Morning Folks This A Adding Desktop Network? To 98 Home question may be a little general for this site but here goes I have a small wireless home network set up with a wired desktop and a wireless notebook My ISP is Verizon DSL and both units Adding A 98 Desktop To Home Network? are XP Home My router is a D-Link DI- Ghz I have file and printer sharing enabled and have WPA security implemented MY son has just revived an old mhz Dell from the basement to play some old games that won t run on XP It runs SE and he would like to Adding A 98 Desktop To Home Network? add it to the Adding A 98 Desktop To Home Network? home network It appears that some current USB wireless adapters will work with Has anyone attempted this Will I be able to stick with WPA if I add a computer Can file and printer sharing be enabled I ve googled this most of the morning but can t quite find reliable answers I know this is a general question any help is appreciated Thanks Dave nbsp

A:Adding A 98 Desktop To Home Network?

That's kind of asking a lot but it might be worth investigating if wired is not an option. I'd be pretty sure about finding out if there are drivers specifically for Windows 98 and that they are reliable, because nothing will blue-screen Windows faster than unsupported wireless drivers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-98-desktop-to-home-network.662198/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi I have a wireless network which currently works Router Adding an existing network to fine but is limited in range I want to extend this upstairs where I also have a desktop with no wireless card The current network uses a Linksys wireless G - WRV G router I can use a Adding Router to an existing network laptop or desktop to connect to this with no problem wired or wireless apart from the limited range My second router is a Buffalo turbo G WHR-G S This is positioned in range of Adding Router to an existing network the other router and is connected via wire to desktop I have read various threads and searched the internet but haven t cracked the problem yet The IP address of router is with the DCHP range - Gateway to the modem So on router There is a switch on the router auto bridge it is now in bridge mode I have set the IP address to Channel is set to same as router I am unsure what to do further than this If it helps both desktops are running vista and both laptops XP pro Any help with this would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

Hello all This is what I have I have a Dell Desktop computer running windows XP through a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband router Recently I purchased a laptop from a friend of my daughters and I am tryting to add it to my existing network but it s laptop Trouble adding Having to network not working The laptop is Sony Vaio Model PCG-K also running Windows XP In Device Having Trouble adding laptop to network Manager under Network Adapters it has four items listed Net Adapter LAN-Express AS IEEE g mini PCI Adapter MAC Bridge Miniport Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC I ran the network setup wizard on the Laptop and the icon at the bottom of the screen says quot Wireless Network Connection quot quot Connected to my name quot quot Signal Strength Excellent quot however when I click on IE I get an error page stating quot The page cannot be displayed quot Also I have noticed that my connection name sometimes disappears and it says it is connected to PennState or Bagdad The guy that had this laptop is in the military so I am assuming that he had it networked at sometime as well How do I remove his previous networks and how can I get on the Internet with the laptop I want the desktop and the laptop networked together with sharing capabilities I will be using the laptop for business purposes so I will need to have access to files saved on my homebased computer while I am away from home I am assuming that I have something configured wrong in the laptop Any help would be greatly appreciated Diana nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

Hello I have a Cable DSL connection at home and my TrendNet router was adding to network a the Problem with router second connected to the cable modem I had three computers in a wired local area network Recently I bought a Toshiba notebook and a Belkin Wireless G router Since Problem with adding a second router to the network two computers are desktop and other two are notebook I want to add the router to the local area network in such way that all of them remain in the same network I because of the file and printer sharing and I want my notebooks to be able to connect to the router using wireless connection I spent two days trying to setup the local network but I never managed to configure it the way I want it to be Two scenarios happened In the first scenario my desktop computers had xxx addresses and my notebooks had some strange address and subnet when connected using wireless and they couldn t use neither local network nor internet When I connected them to the router using wire they also had the xxx address and worked fine In the second scenario I managed to connect my notebooks to the router using wireless connection but in that case they had the xxx addresses and cannot see my two desktop computers as a part of the Windows network Ping works fine and I can access desktop computers using xxx from the Run dialog But none of the desktop computers could either ping or access any of the notebooks Can anyone help me solve the problem Thank you in advance Tufahija nbsp

A:Problem with adding a second router to the network

OK, just to confirm, your using your TrendNet router AND your Belkin wireless router?

Assuming both are for DSL connections, is there any reason why you need to use two routers?

If your TrendNet router isn't wireless, then remove it completely, and use the Belkin one that is.

If you must use both, then you need to configure the Belkin router as a wireless access point and network switch only, and disable DHCP and UPNP in that router.

So the following should see you sorted:

1. connect the Belkin router to your TrendNet one via ethernet cable.
2. Do a hard reset of your Belkin router (so you have a clean base to set it up)
3. Log into the router, and then disable DHCP
4. Disable UPNP.
5. Set up wireless as usual.

This is usually enough to setup a router as an access point. Some models need slightly different procedures though. You do NOT want DHCP or UPNP enabled on the Belkin router though. You want your TrendNet router to assign IP addresses from its IP address pool to devices connected to your Belkin router by either wired, or wireless connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-adding-a-second-router-to-the-network.147762/
Relevancy 61.92%

Could anybody please help me how I can get to this dialogue in w7?

I need to add a virtual Network Adapter (Microsoft Loopback Adapter), but all I can do is to get to a "waiting for connected devices" dialogue... Is there any way to manually add some device in w7?

A:Adding virtual network adapter

Hi,
I think you can't do that in device manager anymore.
Instead, you might try this one: The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager

Simply download & unpack. Then open a command line in the i386 or ia64 folder of the tool. For your purpose running

Code:
devcon.exe install %windir%\inf\netloop.inf *msloop
should do the trick.
You should then see output similar to this:
Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are updated...
Updating drivers for *msloop from C:\WINDOWS\inf\netloop.inf.
Drivers updated successfully.

Now the adapter is ready to configure/use.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/3156-adding-virtual-network-adapter.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a new workstation installed and added a printer to it. No problem printer works on direct connected workstation.

I try to add the printer to another workstation as a network printer and I get the dreaded

Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either printer name was typed incorrectly or the specified printer lost it's connection to the server.

I used the add printer wizard and searched entire network and found the printer and added that way. No printer name was typed.

The local PC the printer is added to is a Windows XP Pro machine.

The machines I am trying to add the printer as a network printer are both XP pro and Windows 2000.

I have tried removing the printer and reinstalling with same result.

I was using the user account to install, but even with the domain admin account it does not work.

Any suggestions?

A:adding network printer problem

Maybe some more information would help. The printer is an HP deskjet 6940. It is connected to the client PC using the USB connection. The client pc is running XP. Local printing works fine.

The firewall is off on the client PC. When searching the network for network printers this printer shows up. When trying to add it on another clent, it comes up with error message.

Has anyone had a successful instal of a 6940 as a local printer that is shared?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-network-printer-problem.613293/