Windows Support Forum

HP Pavilon DV6000 & Win7

Q: HP Pavilon DV6000 & Win7

Hi there, I am having problems trying to make a clean install of Windows 7 on my HP DV6000. I have rpeviously formatted and installed operating systems on many computers, but this one is giving me to fight!

The main problem is that the instalation never continues from the "Windows is loading files" at the start of the CD booting!

Does HP or this pavilon have any issues?

help will be appreciated!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: HP Pavilon DV6000 & Win7

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: HP Pavilon DV6000 & Win7

Make your HP REcovery Disks or a backup image so you have a path back to factory condition. You can also extract apps from the HP REcovery disks using this method: http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...tml#post488270

Next make sure you have the latest BIOS version update from HP Support Downloads webpage for your model, which is safest installed from Windows.

CHeck also in the BIOS for SATA controller setting: try AHCI first, then IDE if necessary.

Now wipe the HD to get the cleanest possible slate: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

Clean Install Windows 7

If install fails again, remove all but 2gb of RAM and test your ram with memtest for 5-6 passes. http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Then test your HD using maker's full diag/repair CD scan: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Where did you get Win7? DId you burn it yourself?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/98869-hp-pavilon-dv6000-win7.html
Relevancy 22.36%

SO close Help me get this ball across the goal line I have a old quot Microtek ScanMaker E quot scsi flatbed scanner that originally came with an ISA scsi interface to give you some idea of how old it is I connected it to my PC using a equally ancient Tekram F pci SCSI card c 64bit my got scanner Almost w/Win7 old working that I ve been using with bit WinXP Pro for years The scanner has an - quot x quot scanning bed dpi and bit color reproduction It works great and I see no reason to spend a few hundred dollars to replace it just for Win compatibility so I m trying to get it to work with the bit Almost got my old scanner working w/Win7 64bit version of Windows To complicate things the company that made my SCSI card Tekram went out of business years ago so the bit XP driver was the last they made But after MUCH Googling I found a bit Win compatible driver for another card using the same chipset and low amp behold Windows recognized it It then quot detected quot my scanner for the first time but didn t have a driver Again after much searching I found a Vista bit version of Microtek s quot ScanWizard quot scanner software with bit driver and now bit Windows detects my scanner Yeah But when I try to access the scanner I get an error telling me I quot must install Color Matching System first quot for the scanner to work I don t remember any such software being needed to use the scanner with XP and there is no such program in the ScanWizard software I just installed searching online suggests I will also need to run an quot ICC Color Profiler quot Anyone have any ideas So close yet so far I love doing things I was told were quot impossible quot Help nbsp

A:Almost got my old scanner working w/Win7 64bit

That Microtek ScanMaker E3 scsi flatbed scanner ... didn't even work well with Windows XP... and the cost in time and components to attempt to make it work are much higher than a decent Canon or Epson scanner which can be had fof $40... Less if used...

On what system are you runny SCSI ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/almost-got-my-old-scanner-working-w-win7-64bit.157055/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi all Apologies in advance for such a long post I headaches + installation = hardware New Win7 don t know if I just have a corrupt New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches Windows Ultimate installation or what but this all started three weeks ago or so after installing new hardware specifically New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches motherboard Asus A M-A New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches processor AMD A K and RAM Kingston HyperX GB DDR Since I had the extra RAM slot I also put in one of the Aeneon XTune GB DDR I have from before the upgrade The sticker on it says it s but it shows up in BIOS POST as Since then I ve had the following problems Internet Unable to establish any connection at all when using the ethernet cable plugged into my Cisco Linksys EA Router I can connect wirelessly but that connection is lousy and I m not sure why especially since the router is only about feet from the computer To be fair the lousy wireless connection is something I was dealing with since before the hardware upgrade Windows reinstall which is why I finally gave up and bought a ethernet cable the computer used to be in a different room though on the same floor of the house The problem with being unable to get any type of connection when plugged in started after reinstalling Windows and then doing something like updates and then moving the PC to the new spot I made a point of moving the tower myself just so that I could be sure nothing happened to it so I know there was no physical damage done because of dropping or otherwise banging it around at all I ve checked the ethernet cable that runs from the modem to the router as well as the one and neither of them appear to be damaged at all I ve also tried plugging the one into all of the ports on the back of the router in the event that one of them just bit the dust somehow but nothing changed Any thoughts on how I can either get my wired connection working again or what might be making the wireless connection so horrible For clarification on quot horrible quot I m not talking dial-up speeds but some sites either load slowly or not at all sites that load up just fine on every other device in the house - specifically cell phones and iPod an Xbox a Wii and a laptop My connection to Battle net for playing WoW Starcraft II Diablo III is also pretty lag-tastic My NIC is an onboard Realtek GR PCIe Gigabit LAN controller according to the motherboard manual In terms of anything that may be interfering with the wireless signal there s a metal support post and a metal I-beam a few feet from where the router currently sits though it was previously or so feet from both Other than being in close proximity to those the room is wide open I was told that water can interfere with a wireless signal and we do have a lot of ground water under around the house can anyone verify whether ground water can degrade the signal so much over such a relatively small space Hard drive partition issues Until the upgrade when the computer just wouldn t boot presumably because Windows couldn t handle dealing with such big hardware changes all at once I had Windows installed on a partition on a TB Western Digital drive Since I had to reinstall anyway I installed Windows to a partition on a smaller but faster TB Seagate drive Up until this afternoon when I installed Seagate Discwizard one of the partitions on the big drive was inaccessible showing up in disk management and a couple of rd-party hard drive utility partitioning programs as simply quot unallocated space quot Since this afternoon though that partition is now showing up as a completely separate hard drive in disk management AND as quot unallocated space quot on the drive it s actually a part of I m a little leery of just leaving things as they are and using that partition since it s showing up different ways Discwizard only shows that partition as a separate drive there is no quot unallocated space quot showing on the TB drive Is this something I sh... Read more

A:New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches

Update: Wired connection issue is fixed. I have to (sheepishly) admit that I completely forgot to install the router via the CD that came with it. The lousy wireless performance is still a problem, though, as well as the hard drive/partition issues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hardware-win7-installation-headaches.206345/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi,

if anyone can help ill be really thankful.
pc 1, 2 runnging win7 ultimate x64

1 adsl modem, 1 tp-link router, 2 computers (pc1, pc2).

ADSL(modem) - LAN1 - PC1 , LAN2 - Tp-link
Tp-link - LAN1 - PC2, WAN - ADSL(modem)

Everything is working, but computers cant see each other in HomeGroup.
Tried various methods but nothing work.

So my question is how to set HomeGroup for those 2 computers. Any suggestions?
Thank you

A:Win7 Homegroup problem

@Moirax . I can't answer your question, but your mention of Homegroup makes me ask what is it for? To avoid hijacking this thread,I'll PM you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-homegroup-problem.206524/
Relevancy 22.79%

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded yesterday Before installing the new OS I installed g of ram gb sticks Got thru all the installation BS my goodness Microsoft eats up a from Upgraded XP to Win7 lot to memory with all those updates Any way I was checking out the specs on my systems on the My Computer page and it only shows that I have g of Ram The other problem is I have a gb but it s only showing that I have gb total I know you want my system info so I ll do Upgraded from XP to Win7 the best I can AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor Ghz bit I m going to check out my memory sticks Maybe one of them isn t seated properly I have them side by side as it was shown in my MB book but was wondering if I should skip a slot Also is there something I need to do about my drivers I m really worried about my HD space I know before the guy who built my system had a partition put in That got wiped out when I tried to to a repair on my Windows XP and had to do a clean install When I got the system back up and running it showed all my HD space now I m barely showing a third of the space that should be there I m really at a lost nbsp

A:Upgraded from XP to Win7

Well since no one is answering, I'll get you up to date. I found my lost HD memory and got it all back, so I'm at full capacity there. As for my sticks of RAM, I just don't know. I removed one, but the system wouldn't boot. Then I put the other one in and the system still wouldn't boot. So I put them both back in and the system booted right up. I'm getting the feeling that I bought 2 2gb or ram and ended up with 2 1gb sticks. Also, I thought the system was suppose to recognize when you put new ram in. Mine didn't.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgraded-from-xp-to-win7.203160/
Relevancy 22.36%

I bought a Samsung 840 SSD (120GB) for my gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 motherboard. I am unable to install win 7 64bit on it. It is a SATA SSD.

I have tried ACHD mode in the BIOS, I have tried IDE mode. The drive works as I have tested it as an external drive on other computers.

I bought the drive specifically to be used as a primary drive.

My regular hard drives work fine on the motherboard.

A:Unable to install SSD on Win7 x64 system

Well, first of all, your motherboard only supports 3GB/s and the 840 is a 6GB/s drive. Just by that you won't really get your moneys worth. And how so are you unable to install? Also can you please list your system specs?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-install-ssd-on-win7-x64-system.190141/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi All Right problem As stated above my laptop does not recognize my external The drive spins up inside the enclosure the power led lights up but it does not show I have been a Field Support Engineer Tier III for many years and following that a Technical Analyst all within the IT field and this one on not hdd recognize Win7 does external Compaq6710b has me totally STUMPED Steps followed Checked Win7 on Compaq6710b does not recognize external hdd Compmgmt - gt DrvMgmt drive does not show same as DevMgmt msc - gt Drvmgmt Went into CMD prompt - gt Diskpart - gt list disk only picks up my primary internal I e disk I have moved the hdd from one USB port to another - still no difference I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting it multiple times - no avail Tried rebooting - no avail Tried rebooting both with without the external connected - no change Connected the external to multiple other machines - it picks up on every single one of them Run RSOP machine is on a domain but there are as confirmed by domain admins no restriction policies in place seeing that my other smaller in capacity flash drives all pick up and show Ran a full malware scan - clean with the following in turn not at the same time also not installed simultaneously MBAM MSSE AVAST ESET - All came back clean Ran CCleaner getting desperate now and after all cleaning and clearing etc sorted rebooted machine - still no change Checked if the drive shows in BIOS upon restart - it does Just to slam dunk point above - checked if the drive shows as a possible boot media upon reboot - it does Only thing left to do is to try any Linux Unix based boot GUIs to see if it shows in thee as wel apps in the line of Knoppix to name but one Oh yeah also accessed the Advanced Properties af all the available USB Root Hubs and ensured that the computer is not allowed to turn off these devices in order to save power I have also downloaded EVERY POSSIBLE LATEST DRIVER from HP s site so everything THERE is up to date all drivers and firmwares up to date Flashed the CMOS Updated the BIOS as well If I connect any of my flash drives or any other mobile device tablet phone usb modem with micro sd card installed configured as storage to the laptop they all get recognized and are accessible but NOT my external even though every single other machine I have connected it to picks it up As per all my points above please do not suggest the following A Use of various or random drive checking tools - they won t work as the O S does not recognize the drive B Right click quot My Computer quot anything starting with that will be a waste as I have already gone through all those steps by means of accessing all relevant interfaces via cmd line interface - I cannot see the drive so I can also NOT change it s drive letter just read another post on another forum where the OP requests assistance as he cannot access his drive at all kind of similar to my scenario and the suggestions on there drove me out the walls - people missing obvious things and making suggestions which would be declared useless by using some common sense I am going to try and upload prt shots of both diskpart cmd result and compmgmt msc results okay failure with bmp jpg and png HA loaded successfully Any assistance would be appreciated Oh yeah it is a USB powered quot external hdd not the quot type which requires external power nbsp

A:Win7 on Compaq6710b does not recognize external hdd

Have you tried your Ext Hard drive to be connected to any other PC or Laptop. If the drive is still not recognized consult an expert for this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-on-compaq6710b-does-not-recognize-external-hdd.200463/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello I have been experiencing with Video 7870 Win7 in Stuttering 64 an ongoing issue with video stuttering when using vsync and screen tearing when not of course in certain games Here are my specs Desktop PC OS Win -bit Intel Core i Ghz Motherboard ASRock Z Extreme GSkill Ripjaws GB DDR RAM AMD Radeon HD GB driver CCC -display setup monitors Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64 x x Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64 and one TV Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64 at x HD Samsung SSD PRO GB HD OCZ Agility SSD GB HD Seagate HDD TB HD WD HDD GB This issue is present throughout all games and videos to varying degrees It becomes apparent when any smooth movement is supposed to occur such as camera panning or forward movement in fps games for example In certain games it is barely noticeable such as Borderlands however games Trine or Dead Island are virtually unplayable due to the amount of stutter when moving In other games I experience tearing unless forcing vsync with triple buffering with D D overrider I have tried changing the vsync settings in the individual games as well with no change I have tried a number of solutions recommended from various boards such as reinstalling installing older drivers I am using an ATI radeon HD and have downloaded and removed installed just about every driver version I could get my hands on I have also been lucky enough to have access to a great deal of spare parts As such I have swapped the following components with known-good ones with no result - Power supply - CPU - Motherboard - Hard drive SSD - full reformat as well The previous graphics card a also experienced the exact same problems initially I replaced this card in an attempt to solve the stutter issue but it remained exactly the same I have run memtest and had no errors I have run certain problem games off of a different hard drive and on different monitors of my setup and produced the same result Computer has been fully scanned cleaned of malware etc Running Malwarebytes CCleaner and MSE I m at the end of my rope here Not sure what else to do Seems like this is a tricky issue none of the solutions I have found while searching has worked but I m hoping I missed something crucial Any help suggestions would be appreciated If you need any more information please let me know Thanks for your time nbsp

A:Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64

In-game Vsync sucks for many games, the problem being some games tend to be biased towards one company and that causes the other company Graphics card to run poorly in it.

Try downloading Radeon Pro, its a custom tool that helps for games like that on AMD cards that run into issues with Vsync. Once installed, all you do is add the games your having problems with, go to the options surrounding the games sync, and set it to use dynamic Vsync with the refresh rate of your monitor (You can also add your monitors refresh in).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-stuttering-with-7870-in-win7-64.199248/
Relevancy 22.36%

I reinstalled Windows 7 (64bit) after moving to an SSD. Now, for some mysterious reason, I can no longer read UDF format discs (all Blueray and some DVD's are UDF).

Microsoft's Knowledge Base posts a "hotfix", but it didn't work.

I searched online and lots of people seem to have this same problem, but no one has a fix.

How is it I can WRITE udf discs but not READ them? What a pain.

(Note: I can read the discs in XP and Linux, just not Win7. Copying the discs to the HDD every time I want to read them is not a long-term solution. And I can't copy commercial BD discs anyway.)

A:Can't read UDF format discs (Win7)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640 is for XP, but does contain some useful information and possible work-rounds. At a guess, I would expect MS to address whatever they have done wrong before too long. In the meantime, an update of the Win7 DVD driver (and/or firmware) for your actual hardware might be available. Try the website of your DVD manufacturer.

At worst, if there is no software solution within a couple of months, you might have to consider replacing the drive, at least you can return a new drive if it fails you too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-read-udf-format-discs-win7.198203/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hey guys been awhile
I have a question.
can I put a AMD Mobile Turion 64 x2 RM-74 2.2GHz 1M s1 LP TMRM74DAM22GG CPU
in a dv6000? the specs look good except this cpu looks to have about double the fbs.
im not sure the dv6000 can handle it.
help

A:Dv6000 cpu upgrade

HP Pavillion dv6000 (AMD) processor support

AMD Mobile Sempron
3200+ - 1.6 GHz
3400+ - 1.8 GHz
3500+ - 1.8 GHz

AMD Turion 64 X2
TL-50 - 1.6 GHz
TL-52 - 1.6 GHz
TL-56 - 1.8 GHz
TL-60 - 2 GHzClick to expand...

HP Pavillion dv6000 (Intel) processor support

Intel Celeron M
420 - 1.6 GHz
430 - 1.73 GHz
440 - 1.86 GHz
520 - 1.6 GHz

Intel Core 2 Duo
T5200 - 1.6 GHz
T5500 - 1.66 GHz
T5600 - 1.83 GHz
T7200 - 2 GHz

Intel Core Duo
T2050 - 1.6 GHz
T2250 - 1.73 GHz
T2300E - 1.66 GHz
T2350 - 1.86 GHz

Intel Core Solo
T1350 - 1.86 GHz

Intel Pentium Dual-Core Mobile
T2060 - 1.6 GHzClick to expand...

One of the commenter on the AMD link above stated this

The laptop has socket S1g1. This socket is not compatible with ZM-XX microprocessors. What is the document part number of that Hp service manual? It'd be interesting to see it.Click to expand...

The processor you listed is a S1G2 processor so it may not work. I honestly don't know myself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dv6000-cpu-upgrade.197876/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have no idea where to start loking for solutions. NBegining about an hour ago, no key wil work twice in a row. Backspace wil only back up once, delete wil only delelt one character in a row, page-down wil ionly page down one page and not more.
If I go do something else, and come back, the key wil work again. So, by combining delete and backspace and arrow keys and re-positioning the mouse, I can type whatever I want - it is just taking a lot more effort! -Any ideas? I would put a bu nch of excalamation marks, but this is al I have: !

A:No key will work twice in a row Win7 Dell E5430

More info - this is happening in MS Word, Notepad, the IBM SPSS Text Editor, and Google Chrome search blank. So, not just MS Ofice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-key-will-work-twice-in-a-row-win7-dell-e5430.196092/
Relevancy 21.93%

I m having a terrible time with one win Win7: no or DHCP internet browsing but Can DNS ping bit computer on my home network All other devices about work fine other Win7: Can ping DNS but no DHCP or internet browsing windows pc works fine ADSL router and Cisco switch work fine This one Dell Vostro with a cable into the network worked fine for years Overnight it can t connect to local network with its DHCP settings and if I change to static ip it still can t browse the internet However I can ping external addresses by IP address only If I ping google com eg it cannot find the host What is really confusing is the quot Ping Statistics for quot response contains neither the name or the address but instead random characters ie this changes every time all other devices on the same network resolve IP adresses to their fully qualified domain name I have been through loads of sites and support flushing dns flushing IP restoring the pc to a previous working point changing the network cable and port installing a USB wireless key which works on this pc manually configuring IP addresses reseting the IP and WINSOCKs with Netsh commands I ran anti malware Combofix virus checkers zone alarm all found nothing I booted into a linux instance but still couldn t browse the net I cabled two pcs back to back and could ping each other from each other then restored the cable to the bad Dell I still didn t get a DHCP address but with manual IP gateway and DNS I could ping but not browse I have run out of ideas anyone help Oh it s win professional and there may be a few more things I ve done but forgotten in the post above Obviously changed drivers on NIC and installed drivers for the wireless USB NIC nbsp

A:Win7: Can ping DNS but no DHCP or internet browsing

Booting from a Linux rather than an apparently faulty Windows OS is my favourite way of deciding I have an actual hardware fault.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-can-ping-dns-but-no-dhcp-or-internet-browsing.194914/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have a really strange situation today that started after I had to reboot our UTM device and then switch We have a wired network although our modem router is also wireless if needed We don t use the wireless normally After rebooting the UTM and Switch all computers were turned back on again one by one of the were up and running and on the network and internet straight away One PC connected to the LAN but cannot get internet access Our DHCP server is on the UTM Internet (Win7) Network Wired Computer no has on One device and each computer has it s IP address reserved This computer had reserved and it still has that IP address when I do ipconfig It can access all the files on our NAS and all the printers on the network I ran all the ipconfig commands to One Computer on Wired Network has no Internet (Win7) release renew One Computer on Wired Network has no Internet (Win7) flushdns I reset winsock and rebooted Still no internet I did a print screen off one of the PCs that is working properly and compared it Apart from the MAC address and other PC specific items I could see no difference So I put a wireless dongle on it to see if it would connect the the internet on wireless It worked I had internet but no LAN other than to the wireless router So I thought there must be a problem with the NIC I went to the local PC store and bought a new NIC card and installed it I disabled the old one and connected the network cable to the new one No difference If I enable the NIC card I have LAN but no internet if I enable the wireless dongle I have internet but no LAN I need both I cannot figure out what has changed on this ONE PC that was working fine until today Oh one other thing I tried that didn t work I connected a brand new Ethernet cable directly from the modem router to the PC So this bypassed the UTM device and Switch Still no wired internet nbsp

A:One Computer on Wired Network has no Internet (Win7)

Try these

ping 8.8.8.8
nslookup google.com
ping techspot.com
(1) shows packets going to google's dns
(2) shows you can convert name to ip address
(3) shows access to our site

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/one-computer-on-wired-network-has-no-internet-win7.193364/
Relevancy 39.56%

Hello
Here is situation. got hp 6000. when turning it on it shows white screen only. connecting to external display works just fine. disconnected the lcd cable from motherboard and connected to another hp 6000 lcd with cable works just fine. so assuming gpu isnt dead as external monitor works. and so is the lcd + cable as it has been verified working on another display.
now im out of options what may be gone wrong. any ideas ???

p.s. friend told me that maybe lvds output is dead. if it so is it fixable?

A:HP DV6000 white screen

Yes It is able to be fixed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv6000-white-screen.182546/
Relevancy 22.36%

Guys,I m thinking about to buy a SSD.Can u tell me how much space needed for WIN 7 64bit.pls include ur space advice that it will also have latest update of win+20% space free(which I found various forum that it is needed for run win smoothly).How about 32GB SSD??????
Thankssssssssssss.

A:How much space needed on SSD for Win7 64-bit

Personally, I wouldn't use anything smaller then a 64GB SSD. A 32GB SSD will be good for a cache drive but not a boot drive. I think the 128GB & 256GB drives work best. They give you a lot of room for OS + Core Programs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-much-space-needed-on-ssd-for-win7-64-bit.190326/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi, I just got rid of Win7 32 bit and installed 64 bit, but I screwed up the partition when I was doing the clean install. Right now I have:
Disk 0 74.5GB Online
System Reserved is at 100MB
(C 14.9 GB
Unallocated 59.5 GB

Is there a way that I can remove the partitions all together? I am in the Disk Management in Admin Tools, but unsure of what to do at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated......

A:Just installed Win7 64-bit and screwed up the partitions...

Nevermind..... Figured it out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-installed-win7-64-bit-and-screwed-up-the-partitions.188931/
Relevancy 22.36%

I just bought the subject laptop, and have no interest in Win8. This laptop will eventually backup an HP2000-100 that the MB no longer recognizes the battery(?another story). The plan is to install the HD from the -100 into 2B00, so far so good. I've been able to boot Win7. On the first boot try I got a message that HD didn't exist, a message to run diagnostics. Ran diagnostics everything passed, except the battery check(? another story). Had to go into the BIOS and enable the Legacy mode. Success Win7 booted with expected anomalies, video, sound, etc., etc.. I just finished downloading from HP the drivers for an HP2000z-300, 160mb. The -300 is the last laptop in the HP2000 series to come with Win7. I'll let you know the results in the morn.

Larry

A:New HP2000z-2B00 downgrade to Win7

The graphics driver has installed and appears to be working. The WiFi, and audio did not install, but the old drivers seem to be working. I'll pursue those further if I have problems.

Larry

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hp2000z-2b00-downgrade-to-win7.188488/
Relevancy 19.35%

I Win7(64) no "color scan" with Omnipage17 option see Mailpup or moved me to hardware I doubt this is a hardware issue As indicated below all worked properly under XPSP It is only under Win that this issue has cropped up So I am not sure if this is the best place In short Omnipage is not communicating properly with my Win7(64) no "color scan" option with Omnipage17 Mustek A scanner on a Win system There were no issues with this software and scanner running on xpsp Not sure what I could be missing Any help appreciated Thanks Longer Description Wondering how to get color capability with OP on my Win system Currently all I can get are B amp W and Grayscale for my scan options All scanner quot sizes quot B -A letter and legal are available in the Tools- gt Options - gt Scanner toolbox and they work properly So OP is partially working with the scanner NOTE OP was working properly fully with this scanner on my old xpsp system System Information Omnipage Professional version Product ID OP- - - OS Win Computer Dell Vostro i processor Scanner Mustek SE A USB Pro What I have done Downloaded the lasted drivers ScanExpress A USB WIN zip from Mustek Uninstalled the old driver installation from Device Manager Reboot Reinstall Mustek software Reboot Open Omnipage - gt Tools - gt Options - gt Scanner - gt Setup Download Latest Scanner Database from Nuance Select amp Test Scanner TWAIN SE A USB Pro - gt Next Would you still like to test your device - gt Yes The scanner is already in the database Would you still like to test your device - gt Yes Close any other applications that might be using your scanner - gt Next After running all available tests Omnipage still cannot see the scanner s color capability Testing the Scanner from Control Panel - gt Devices amp Printers - gt Scanner Select Right Click for Properties - gt Diagnostics - gt Test Scanner quot Successfully completed the diagnostic test quot Testing by Control Panel - gt Devices amp Printers - gt Scanner Select Right Click for Properties - gt Start Scan Here the quot Color quot Option is available And it successfully creates a color scan I found no help on this topic at Nuance Either Knowledge base or Forums Google coming up dry too Not sure what I could be missing Any help appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Win7(64) no "color scan" option with Omnipage17

Typically this is a driver problem. find the driver from the print/scanner manufacturer and dl/install it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-64-no-color-scan-option-with-omnipage17.186106/
Relevancy 22.36%

I moved everything into a server case. The case has a hot plug box for 4 hard drives and since there is no other place I can put them I moved my hard drives in there. I also moved one of my spare drives there so I can use it to store backups. My intention was to plug the drive in, make a backup and remove it. Without having to restart the machine. However once I moved it in there I realized that windows does not see it as removable drive but as normal drive. and there is no "Safely remove your hardware" icon in the tray. Now I am wondering whether it would be safe for me just to remove the drive straight out or do I have to restart it every time?
Thanks.

A:Hotplug in Win7 Home Premium

Was that hard drive that you intend to use just simply for your "back up's", is that hard drive an I.D.E. or SATA or USB?

Because if it's an older styled I.D.E., you will never get that "safely remove hardware" message. Even if the drive is a more modern SATA one, just like with an I.D.E. you will not get that "safe to remove hardware" message as well. But if your drive is a USB styled one, your Operating System should have picked up on what it was, how it was being connected and more importantly, what kind off hook up the device is using. Almost every Operating System I've ever put my hands on, know when something is a USB device, and will almost always display that "safe to remove hardware" message, both by way of ((right clicking)) the device icon itself by way of Windows Explorer, or going for the little icon in the lower right hand corner on your Windows taskbar.

So if it's not a USB device, I'm afraid to properly remove and install the drive, your going to have to power down the computer, each and every time.....sorry!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hotplug-in-win7-home-premium.179051/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi Everyone I am using a ASUS EeePC PEM as an upgrade from my previous netbook PC Win7 Eee 1015PEM loading Error operating system... Starter My problem started when I seemed to receive an odd windows update The IE stopped Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter loading correctly even though my pc Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter was connected to the net I stupidly gave it to someone who proudly displays letters after his Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter name claiming to know all about computers and two days later he gave it back to me telling me that it claimed to be doing hard drive repairs and now won t do anything I plumped for a system restore as I had all my important stuff on an external hard drive so wasn t too worried about loosing anything When I tried it has continually popped up with the meassage Error loading operating system The restore reportedly comes from a hidden recovery partition It almost seems as though the whole netbook has been wiped and all I have is bios I am now beyond my field of knowledge and hope someone has an answer for me Living in hope Bint xx nbsp

A:Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter

O/S error

When I have seen the error report "O/S not found", or similar it has meant the hard drive has failed in some way, probably the circuit that controls the seek arm.
If that has happened then the "system restore" will not work either, because, as you noted, it is a copy of the working O/S but in a separate partition, that is normally not used. Problem is the hidden partition is just a part of the same hard drive that won't work.
If that is the situation, the only real answer is to replace the hard drive, and reinstall the O/S plus the software you need. It is much simpler and cheaper to back up the hard drive while it is working, so that come the day it fails, at least the data is safe, and can be restored to a new hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-loading-operating-system-eee-pc-1015pem-win7-starter.175229/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello I recently added a rd hard drive to my computer so I could put my two existing HDs in RAID and still have a back up drive I cloned my main drive to my new backup drive and did a fresh Windows -bit install on the new RAID array I ve been able to get all my hardware working except for my X-FI 0 sound RAID on fresh No after from install Win7-64 CreativeLabs ExtremeMusic SB soundcard I ve gotten it to work a few brief times but I can t figure out what driver and control panel versions I used to make it work before I just remember it being a long process of searching online before I found an answer that worked for me Is there anyway to find out what versions I have on my backup HD since it has the correct driver and control panel versions on it Here s a description of my actual soundcard problem When I try play something in media player there is no sound the progress bar doesn t move if I watch a youtube video the progress bar moves but I still get no sound and I have no system sound either My on-board audio when enabled works perfectly My on-board audio is disabled in No sound from X-FI after fresh Win7-64 install on RAID 0 the bios the X-FI shows up in device manager and appears to be installed correctly with the latest drivers for win - I get clicks from my speakers when installing the drivers and I have tried completely uninstalling the card and re-installing it as an admin but I still don t get any sound Any and all help is greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-from-x-fi-after-fresh-win7-64-install-on-raid-0.174259/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi be active public and Can simultaneously a wired Win7 in workgroup Wi-Fi LAN My crossover-cable wired lan between a win and a miniXP booted laptop can t be changed to a quot home quot from a quot public quot connection Both the wifi and and lan show up as quot public quot The former because I m Can public Wi-Fi and a wired LAN workgroup be active simultaneously in Win7 connected to the internet via a meraki mesh Unlike the status of my wifi which is blue and thus changeable the status of my lan is typeset black as regular text Now when I activate file-sharing I give the whole neighborhood access to my computer Is there a way to separate the networks and make the files of the remote show up in Explorer without disconnecting the wifi Windows IP Configuration Host Name ID-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Can public Wi-Fi and a wired LAN workgroup be active simultaneously in Win7 Mixed IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR B Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address C -F -DA- F- D-B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe f c c Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained October- - AM Lease Expires October- - AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - E- C- C- -AE- D- -B - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS Physical Address -AE- D- -B - DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap D AF E-A E - - B -F BAC AAF E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap C A B E- EA- C- C - DF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e c d f ff fff Preferred Link-local IPv Address fe c d f ff fff Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-public-wi-fi-and-a-wired-lan-workgroup-be-active-simultaneously-in-win7.172759/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have an older Dell Latitude laptop in which I would like to upgrade the processor.
I purchased the machine as a refurbished model. It has Win7 installed, The typical office programs 2007.

I writing to ask if there is a way to upgrade the CPU without having to disturb the overall OS configuration? If not can someone either give me direction as to how one goes about doing this (w/o WIN7 disc) or a link to where I could get direction as to how to reinstall after the upgrade.
Thank you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-cpu-fresh-win7-install-w-o-disc.170808/
Relevancy 21.93%

The audio on my Asus P E DELUXE WiFi-AP motherboard does not appear to work Windows says that there is no audio output device installed As on from Asus Win7, install device audio won't No drivers such when I plug my speakers in I get No audio device on Win7, drivers from Asus won't install no sound and the sound icon in the notification area continues to display a red circle with an quot x quot The High Definition Audio Controller is installed under Device Manager and appears to be normal However it is listed under System Devices There is no listing for Sound Video amp Game Controllers I am not sure if this is applicable to Win I have disabled and re-enabled the audio controller I have uninstalled it and let Windows reinstall it All to no avail For what it s worth the controller appears to be using a standard No audio device on Win7, drivers from Asus won't install Microsoft driver System info says that no sound devices are installed I have verified multiple times that onboard audio is enabled in the BIOS I have tried disabling the audio in the BIOS booting into Windows shutting down and then re-enabling the onboard audio No go I have attempted to reinstall the Soundmax drivers from ASUS They don t install I receive an error message saying that the audio driver files do not support my hardware I am sure that I am trying to install the correct drivers There is no software installed that would be interfering with the audio and all services look normal Any ideas nbsp

A:No audio device on Win7, drivers from Asus won't install

sound

which speakers are you using and which driver?
because most of the speakers are plug n play...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-audio-device-on-win7-drivers-from-asus-wont-install.169687/
Relevancy 22.36%

I am using rasphone.exe in scheduled tasks with parameter "-d network connection name" that allows to auto-connect dial-up connection is there a way to auto-disconnect this connection using scheduled tasks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/rasphone-exe-parameters-win7.166264/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi,

I format my Lenovo y530 notebook today. But there is a problem. After installation, Windows7 doesn't see my videocard. I can't remember exactly but I have a G-force 9300M or 9500M. But in Computer Management, It shown as "Standart VGA Graphics Adapter". How can I find my video card again?

Please help. Thanks for your answers.

A:Win7 doesn't see my video card. Lenovo y530

Windows 7 has installed a generic driver for the card. You need to go the cards manufacturers site and download the correct driver for windows 7. Then unistall the card in Device Manager and then install the new driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-doesnt-see-my-video-card-lenovo-y530.160752/
Relevancy 39.13%

I have an hp dv6000 and one day it was working jus fine then the next day it said Operating system not found i didnt own a vista disk but i do have a windows 7 disk; so i erased vista and tried to install windows 7 and see if it will work but everytime i try to install it its says "cannot install to this partition" even after i format my drive and erase all old partitions it still says the same thing

A:HP dv6000, operating system not found

Install another hard drive and retry the installation

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv6000-operating-system-not-found.159611/
Relevancy 21.5%

heya everyone,

I hope someone here can help.

I have windows 7 ultimate and a nvidia network card.

when Deep Freeze is set to Boot Frozen - my network will not work "Unidentified Network" unless i manually change the IP. Same thing happens even if Auto IP is set..

But when Deep Freeze is set to Thawed - my network works perfect.

i have tested this with the lastest verison of DF and a older one and same probelm.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance,

A:Deep freeze Win7 problem, network stops working

There may be a compatibility problem between Deep Freeze and Windows 7

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/deep-freeze-win7-problem-network-stops-working.154960/
Relevancy 22.36%

I am having some serious head-ache troubles and I am at a stand still. I have done all of the following in different orders to no avail: disable/enable card, uninstall card/drivers, uninstall all nvidia folders(physx,drivers,etc), drivesweeper'd everything, reinstalled latest drivers. Also, I believe that the main problem was Windows 7 was detecting and installing the drivers and further delaying the problem, so I turned of automatic updates and installations. Yet, it still sees' it as a 295gtx even if it doesnt install any drivers.Finally, I obviously cant get any video from it and have to use on-board to navigate. Any thoughts out there that could diagnose the problem? Possibly card bios update needed? Thanks ahead of time for any information.

A:Win7 64 260gtx recognized as 295gtx?

did you just get the video card and if you did, did you buy it used or new. If you didnt just buy the video card did you try to flash the bios.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-64-260gtx-recognized-as-295gtx.153802/
Relevancy 21.93%

hi
i have a win7 video driver gateway 7330
loaded win7 ultimate
video driver flaged in dev mngr
probably need audio drv also
video seems fine no sound after install

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-video-driver-gateway-7330.153571/
Relevancy 39.13%

Ok so I hadn't used my hp dv6000 entertainment pc since 06' because of a broken LCD screen..now that I've replaced it... It booted up normally at first but after a couple of days, it started taking hours to boot! I'm on the second consecutive day of not being able to even get to the windows screen! What can my prob be? I've scanned my notebook for malware before this happened and I have no infections! All my notebook does is seem like it's about to boot up but then turns back off and on automatically while set in a black screen... Like I said, I can't even get to the hp intro logo at times....hours...days? This is rediculous! Please any help would be greatly appreciated.....Oh and I'm running windows vista...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv6000-taking-forever-to-boot-up.152941/
Relevancy 22.36%

Im unsure which OS I should use on my old laptop for college. Im currently attending John jay college and every computer there is using windows XP. So for reports, etc I would need it to be able to open and view on a windows PC if necessary. I currently have Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium.

My system is as follows:

I was looking into Windows 7 Home premium, or Ubuntu.
*Im unsure but I believe my laptop wont run with 64bit Win7 but I dont understand the requirements for that.

I need a computer that will shut off quickly for changing classes. I have to keep my laptop plugged in b/c this laptop battery wont last.

Which would you recommend?

A:Win7 or Ubuntu for college

Vista will do everything you want, so why change?
You could easily dual-boot Ubuntu, and Open Office will open just about any document.
The Win7 upgrade adviser may help:
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-or-ubuntu-for-college.152171/
Relevancy 19.78%

My home desktop is connected to a wireless router through AT&T U-verse and it's broadcasting just fine. I can see the name and everything when I try and connect on my laptop but there is always an error that brings me to a troubleshooting screen. I've made sure the password is correct by going to Start-Run, IPCONFIG and then typing my IP address into the address bar in my browser. I dont know what else I can do, I feel like I've tried everything! Help please.

A:Laptop (Win7 Dell Inspiron 1525) won't connect to desktop (XP Dell) wireless router

Sometimes, you need to replace the router.
Sometimes, you can call your service provider and ask them to take a look on line to see if the subscription needs to be refreshed.
But often, all that is needed (despite the fact that it is a lot of work) is to uninstall your existing system, then reboot, and reinstall everything.
You might also find success by looking at your device manager in Windows to see if you have any grey, red, or yellow flags by any related device. That may show you have a permanent hardware failure if you cannot restore it, then you are off to the store or your provider for a new cable modem or router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-win7-dell-inspiron-1525-wont-connect-to-desktop-xp-dell-wireless-router.149377/
Relevancy 39.99%

my laptop dv6000 HP is restricting some video games from playing, i have tried to ratify the problem but i dont know how to upgrade the VGA, the VGA is 8bit, AMD. PLS GUYS I REALLY NEED HELP AND ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO
thanks.

A:Upgrade VGA on HP dv6000?

Is that your notebook?

If so, do have latest nVidia drivers installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-vga-on-hp-dv6000.148823/
Relevancy 39.13%

The hard disk crashed and I have been unable to reinstall Vista Home Premium with org. and recovery disks on new Hard Disk. Would like to reformat and install Win XP on it. Can't seem to figure out how to do it.

I get the "no operating system found" error. The HD is unformatted as it is new.

I've been all over the HP site and followed the endless loops for information, to no avail.

Any help will be greatly appreciated (sp).

Regards,
Earl Cravens

A:Replaced HD and want to install different OS on HP Pavilion dv6000

You have to have a valid Windws XP install disk... HP install disks detect the hard drive, and if they are not designed specifically for that drive, they wimply will not work. You may have to buy a copy of Windows XP, then boot to it...
You will need drivers, so check to see if the HP website offers drivers for that system configuration. If not, you have to be experienced enough to locate and download them yourself.

But what you propose is very possible... just go to the HP site for your HP model, and look for what operating systems are supported.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replaced-hd-and-want-to-install-different-os-on-hp-pavilion-dv6000.147210/
Relevancy 22.36%

I ve never had a problem with my display card before I upgraded to windows My fps in IAH Dragonica is running at approximately - It was a smooth ish before There is also a considerable amount of lag in games like Outspark s Secret of the Solstice and NCsoft s Aion which I normally played with little to no lag on windows xp I have read around and saw something about ATI dropping support for the xx cards in win but that was said in articles last year I could not find anything recent about compatibility between the x win7 Slower upgrade fps after xx and win I have installed a vista version of the ATI Catalyst since it was encouraged I m not a computer-hardware-configuration-tweaking-saavy person so you might have to baby Slower fps after win7 upgrade me through this Could someone help me with configuring my computer to accommodate the new OS I would very much prefer to keep the card and just configure it to the best settings possible Maybe upgrade a few things like RAM if needed I do not have a big budget but am willing to spend a little if that is what it takes Thank you in advance Intel Pentium D Dual Core GHz GB RAM Slower fps after win7 upgrade Windows Ultimate bit ATI Radeon x series MB Latest version of ATI Catalyst for Vista If there is anything else you need to know in order to help me out I m more than happy to look it up and tell you nbsp

A:Slower fps after win7 upgrade

Latest version of ATI Catalyst for VistaClick to expand...

When you say latest, do you mean 9.3? That was the last Catalyst version that supported your card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slower-fps-after-win7-upgrade.148300/
Relevancy 39.13%

Back in May my wife and I bought our daughter an HP Compaq Presario DV laptop for college Yes I am well aware that Compaq is a basic build but for the past three years How this? DV6000: Compaq would you HP Presario handle a it has and does everything she needs it to b it has been HP Compaq Presario DV6000: How would you handle this? problem free including the Vista Home Premium OS it runs c and continues to function well despite the many places she has to take it on travel etc The only glith is that since January she has not been able to access wirelessly but can do so via ethernet cable Long story short HP Compaq Presario DV6000: How would you handle this? the Wireless LED is constantly amber indicating the issue lies with the mini lan card I have done the following on my own and with HP Literally did diffrent approaches as per their quot Solve Setup and HP Compaq Presario DV6000: How would you handle this? Internet Connection Issues on a Wireless Network with Vista quot but nothing worked The system could not find the card I then contacted Tech Support and did the following as per their directions a Reseated the wireless LAN card b Updated the latest wireless drivers c Flashed to the latest BIOS So I wrote back and here is what they had to say Thank you for writing back to HP Total Care As the issue persists even after removing and reseating the wireless card then the issue is with hardware malfunction of the system board or wireless card As the issue is related to hardware of the notebook it requires onsite diagnosis I have checked the database and regret to inform you that your notebook warranty has expired I knew this already Usually this repair would cost service tax HP has offered a discounted price for cost both sided shipping servicing Service tax Service center will give you a call once they diagnose if a part needs to be replaced and about exact cost for repair Please let us know the best number and time to give you a call back so that we can service your notebook at the earliest I could get a new card for off of Amazon yes it is a genuine part and see if that works but I am not sending it back to HP I don t have the to do it Any outside shot me testing the system board and if so how Thoughts and advice most welcomed The bottom line at this point If I can t fix it via new wireless card then she ll have to connect via ethernet cable nbsp

A:HP Compaq Presario DV6000: How would you handle this?

You can also consider a USB wireless adapter. I see them for around $20 - $50 bucks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-compaq-presario-dv6000-how-would-you-handle-this.147450/
Relevancy 22.36%

my brother has an acer 5335 that was bought with windows vista basic. I have recently upgraded his laptop to Window 7 ultimate and now he has no stereo mixer. The stereo mixer was fine on vista and i have downloaded latest audio drivers and enabled all audio devices in recording options yet still no success. Any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-stereo-mix-after-upgrade-to-win7.143569/
Relevancy 22.36%

If it s not one thing it s another to - audio Upgraded Win7 not various working I m having a bad week with audio it seems On my main PC I upgraded to Windows a Upgraded to Win7 - various audio not working couple of weeks back Now skype is failling ventrilo is failing After doing a little research ventrilo FAQ s confirmed what i suspected There is something seriously wrong with your sound card drivers or sound mixer configuration Here is what I have as far as audio mobo MOTHERBOARD Asus P T SE Intel X Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR SATA RAID w eSATA GbLAN USB IEEE a amp Audio TechSpot reviewed it highly and I went for it I did find this for drivers http members driverguide com driver detail php driverid amp action winfo but I m not familiar with this site and as I mentioned in another thread I m not very well versed in Mobo Sound card driver updating etc Can one of you kind techspot folks point me in the right direction nbsp

A:Upgraded to Win7 - various audio not working

OK~ I haven't given up on my own search and it dawned on me to just go to the asus site! genious ain't I? LOL

I found this: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P6T SE&product=1

Is it safe for me to just download the audio drivers for this mobo and proceed?

THANKS!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgraded-to-win7-various-audio-not-working.140506/
Relevancy 38.7%

I unfortunately have a hp dv series notebook It would only load maybe outa every restarts this was related to the defective nvidia gpu that would overheat and burn out HP s extended warenty replaced the mobo once About months later video wouldnt appear dv6000 replacement, 3rd HP symptoms motherboard reapearing but i would get poor output to a external moniter as long as i did not attempt to change any video settings if i did it would black out and die Talked to HP they said its my problem now because even though it was defective HP dv6000 3rd motherboard replacement, symptoms reapearing it was past the HP dv6000 3rd motherboard replacement, symptoms reapearing extended warentee HP dv6000 3rd motherboard replacement, symptoms reapearing but they generously offered to replace their defective motherboard again for the price of I opted to buy a refurbished one from hong kong for which claimed to have fixed the issue weeks later and hours of motherboard replacement and i had a working laptop again for about days then it died again this time with the one long beep and short beeps post code and no display The ebay seller said to send it back and they d replace it So in shipping and weeks later i got another motherboard Since i knew what i was doing this time the install took maybe hours Working laptop upgraded the bios and the gpu and first cpu core were running around degrees C so I bought a notebook cooling unit dropped both numbers to around days of light use later it starts beeping at me with a dead display again Coming back to it the next day deciding whether or not to sell it for parts it booted up fine I m at a loss its obviously showing signs of failing again but should I just use it till it dies completely or tear it out and pay another if the guy will even replace it and wait another weeks Or buy some superpowered cooling unit to replace my cheap plastic one I ve even been using the silver thermal compound instead of ceramic though i doubt it would make a big deal The only thing that i could think that might be why these new ones don t work for me other than just the poor quality of the original product is that its a slightly different mobo than my original which had a geforce go and the new one has a so maybe the shells had different cooling units but my model is listed under the supported models on the ebay sellers list nbsp

A:HP dv6000 3rd motherboard replacement, symptoms reapearing

Are the internal cooling fans working properly?... you replace the motherboard but the fans are a separate assembly. how many fans, one or two?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv6000-3rd-motherboard-replacement-symptoms-reapearing.139168/
Relevancy 22.36%

I'm getting components together for a replacement for my E6400 machine.So far I have
Centurion 5 case
24" monitor
win 7 64bit
1T hard drive & 320 hard drive
2 DVD burners (blu ray later)
Pny 9800 GT 1024mb EF
Earthwatt 500 EA500 PSU(2yr old never used)
i5 cpu(don't have yet )
Undecided on motherboard and ram(leaning toward Gigabyte)
I don't do much gaming or overclocking but I'd like too be able to if I want
My questions are
Will my power supply be enough?
Is my video card OK ( I can still take it back pd $100 for it )
Need help on motherboard (don't need a high end one but a good one )
Need ram 4 g or More ?
I'll be buying this from Newegg
Thanks for your advice an help
I've enjoyed this forum its been most helpful

A:Suggestion for Core i5, Win7 build

I would look for a more powerful PSU if your looking to go i5 and have a decent videocard. The 9800GT in your current build is fine, pretty balanced, but with an i5 the 9800GT is going to be your weak link, I would really look to step up the videocard while your at it. 4GB of RAM should be plenty enough also.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggestion-for-core-i5-win7-build.138798/
Relevancy 39.56%

My HP Pavillion Laptop has stopped booting. I only get the blue powerlights to flash briefly once. I have tried removing the battery, disconnecting the bios battery - all to no avail.

Following hp's troubleshooting guides, this points to a cpu failure - is it worth replacing the CPU (AMD) - or does the whole motherboard need replacing.

A:HP Pavillion DV6000 - Not Booting

There have been huge issues with that series of HP laptops... I suggest you call HP and discuss the problem. HP has recently admitted some of these problems and has accommodated some owners with repairs, even out of warranty repairs.

It is my understanding that it is a motherboard problem, and the CPU is fine... but my info is all second hand... so call HP and be persistent.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavillion-dv6000-not-booting.135935/
Relevancy 22.36%

For some time my desktop XP doesn't see my wife's Vista desktop although hers can see mine. Now she has installed release candidate Win7 on her laptop and it doesn't seem to see anything else. I'm not very good with networks. Can anyone help or direct me to some reference material that might help?

Thanks in advance

A:XP, Vista, Win7 not seeing each other on network

Windows 7 tries to create something called a homegroup when it is first connected to a new network. The whole 'homegroup' protocol works only between Windows 7 machines and will make the Win 7 computer invisible to anything but another Win 7 machine configured to be within the same 'homegroup'. You'll need to play with the network setting to get rid of the homegroup and enable the old fashioned sharing model if you want the XP computer to access files on the Win 7 one.

As for Vista, I believe that sharing and security were oomphed a bit and the OS simply doesn't do any kind of sharing by default. I'm not entirely sure if that's the issue for you but it sounds rather plausible.

P.S. To get rid of the homegroup you do the following (preferably while the Win 7 computer is connected to your home network):

- Click on the connection's icon in the notification area
- Select Open Network and Sharing Center
- Select Homegroup and Sharing Options
- Select Change Advanced Sharing Options
- Assuming your home network has been marked as a 'safe' (home or work network) you want to change the options under 'Home or Work'
- Enable network discovery and the anything else you might need (file and printer sharing, public folder sharing, media streaming, etc.). I'd also recommend enabling 128 bit encryption for extra security but if you're still having issue turn it down to 40 bit encryption.
- If you want to do file sharing also choose to use password protected sharing and select the 'Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers' option as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-vista-win7-not-seeing-each-other-on-network.131104/
Relevancy 39.99%

I've got a dv6000 and it simply will not power on. Its almost like the on button is broken. I plug in the charger and the little blue ring lights up. I have reset the BIOS(by unplugging the battery) but it refuses to respond.

What should i do?

A:HP Dv6000 will not power on

Try removing the battery and plugging in the power supply only, if that doesn't work remove the batter and unplug the power supply, press the power button then leave the computer over night. Plug it in the next day and see if it works.
Sounds like voodoo but I have tried this on a few laptops and it worked. If none of these tips work then the power supply is probably bad. Either get it tested or get a new one. Worst case scenario, if the new power supply doesn't work then the motherboard is faulty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv6000-will-not-power-on.127404/
Relevancy 39.56%

Woke up this morning to continue with my work on the above machine but it simply wont boot. The battery is fully charged and the charging adapter is okay because it worked on another computer. When I press the power button of the computer nothing happens. No fan sound no picture, absolutely nothing except that the power LED flickers for a second and that's all. The machine is barely a year old and I have not experienced this before. Have tried reseating the memory cards; removed and inserted the battery all to no avail. Please help. Bosunojay

A:My HP Pavilion dv6000 Not Booting

Have a look here: Tutorial: No POST (Power On Self Test)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hp-pavilion-dv6000-not-booting.123246/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi, i got a pavilion dv6000 and damn the graphics are too low. am running vista home prenium and got 4g ram... what could be the reason?

A:Low quality of graphics on HP pavilion Dv6000

How old is this HP and when did the graphics issue start?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/low-quality-of-graphics-on-hp-pavilion-dv6000.117321/
Relevancy 39.56%

Howdy Folks, I am developing a problem with my HP Pavilion DV6000 Laptop,17" monitor. I am getting a vertical line multi colored about 1" from the left followed by a blue line about 4 " from the left and now a pink line about 4" in from the right. Frankly I do not know if this is a monitor problem or a "card" problem, has anyone else had this problem and is it fixable? I am out of warranty and I have encountered the usual customer service problems with HP. Thanks Dapper

A:Monitor problem dv6000 HP

Try connecting and external monitor. If the lines also appear on the external monitor, the "card" is the cause. If the video is normal on the external, it is the internal 17" LCD panel or its associated cables/wireing that are the cause of the lines

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-problem-dv6000-hp.119158/
Relevancy 39.56%

HP Pavalion dv6000 laptop pc audio video grafics driver for win xp. I can't find drivers in hp website. In this time what can I do??
Any Solution Have?>

A:HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop pc

Have a look for them here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100655.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv6000-laptop-pc.115810/
Relevancy 39.99%

Well I use my laptop as a gaming device and for other stuff like homework and surfing the web fast and such. We have a desktop but are getting into laptops so we have more space in the rooms.

My current specs are:

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000)
System Manufacturer: HP
System Mode: HP Pavilion dv6000
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 (2CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory:958MB Ram

I am wondering if it is possible to add a new processor in this laptop, what size does it need to be and such.

I am also wondering how much ram can the new processor hold if i can replace mines with around 2.33GHz- 2.8 GHz

Also what size is the hard drive of laptops and what is the max being made now?

A:What is the max power I can do with dv6000

Your laptop is not Pavilion dv6000. Dv6000 is a huge seriesof different models. See the sticker on the bootom for the exact model number.

Replacing a CPU in a laptop is tricky and expensive. Not worth the effort.

The processor has got nothing to do with maximum supported memory. Increasing the RAM size to 2GB or more will most certainly give you an instant speed boost, especially with Windows Vista. (Another option would be to leave the RAM at 1GB and use Windows XP )

I believe the largest standard-sized laptop hard drives are 320GB. Again, are you sure that you need to upgrade? You could just get an external USB hard drive for storage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-max-power-i-can-do-with-dv6000.103148/
Relevancy 21.5%

I know too little about computers maybe thats why I am going through this tragedy Need urgent help I have a Sony VAIO laptop Model VPCEB EN which had Windows installed Recently I installed UBUNTU alongside Win so that I could heal the laptop of virus infections Till that point everything was OK Then the or deleted Grub/Bootloaded/MBR corrupt. in Win7. got Help Installing needed fault in my stars played out and I became a member of land What happened is I tried installing Linux Mint too alongside the previous two OS s and it stopped installing midway due to some error Maybe then the grub or bootloader or MBR or whatever got deleted or corrupted by that divine process Everything was gone and my computer would not boot I tried installing Windows again from the Grub/Bootloaded/MBR got deleted or corrupt. Help needed in Installing Win7. Recovery Disk but Grub/Bootloaded/MBR got deleted or corrupt. Help needed in Installing Win7. to no avail So I installed UBUNTU That worked I am going to name my son UBUNTU to honor this awesome OS Now the softwares that I actually work on have only the Windows version Can anybody please guide me how to install Win again on my beautiful laptop NB I am more joer than the regular Joe Step by step instruction would be heartily appreciated nbsp

A:Grub/Bootloaded/MBR got deleted or corrupt. Help needed in Installing Win7.

Hi, Your Sony should have a separate partition with a backup copy of Windows 7 on it.
You should be able to copy it over onto the main partition of the C: drive using the 'Assist' feature.
Does this page make sense?
https://sony-paa-pa-en-web--paa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/83835/related/1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/grub-bootloaded-mbr-got-deleted-or-corrupt-help-needed-in-installing-win7.208566/
Relevancy 21.93%

A bug in Win s sound generates DVD Win7 Media dropouts Player Media Player It can play video DVDs that have Win7 Media Player generates DVD sound dropouts normal moving picture and sound But if the picture is a non-moving still photo Win7 Media Player generates DVD sound dropouts the soud comes out with severe dropouts As soon as the still photo is over and the picture is again a moving one the sound is ok An ordinary DVD player connected to a TV played the same DVD without hiccups Because the DVD was authored at home the investigations were easy The DVD was encoded using variable bitrate Media Player s sound decoding can t handle the situation where the video bitrate is low due the not changing picture No matter was the sound encoded using PCM MPEG or Dolby Digital When the video in DVD was encoded using constant Mbit Win7 Media Player generates DVD sound dropouts s bitrate MPEG- its sound played continuously also in Win s Media Player That was a good lesson to learn before giving out some material that must be generally playable nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-media-player-generates-dvd-sound-dropouts.206836/
Relevancy 22.36%

I had no problem with this in XP or Vista.
After installing Win7 I can only access my NAS drive, not the shares on Windows or Ubuntu. Two Ubuntu PCs can access each other.
I've Googled and SWATed and sworn a lot, but all I get is password requests that don't accept the PWs I know are good.

A:Share files Ubuntu 10.04 and Win7

Where's all the Gurus?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/share-files-ubuntu-10-04-and-win7.152887/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hi I have a Win install that I had not used since January since I was testing Win on a separate drive The Win install is a dual boot where XP x resides on a GB Cheetah drive connected to a RAID controller Since it s the boot drive it has the Win boot manager on it including the C BOOT directory for Win and C NTLDR for XP x Win resides on a TB RAID array and shows up as drive D when Windows has finished booting I booted it up for the first time since January applied all Windows updates and when I rebooted I was greeted with the error winload exe xc quot File Windows system winload exe quot quot Info The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt quot Pressing quot F quot on the boot menu for Win just raised the same error message So Windows boot after winload.exe Win7 raises error: Update manager 0xc0000098 I Win7 boot manager raises error: winload.exe 0xc0000098 after Windows Update fired up my Win SP DVD and ran a chkdsk for both drives C and D but it did not fix anything Next I tried bootrec ScanOs amp RebuildBcd but it found no missing entries So I tried FixMbr amp FixBoot and rebooted but it made no difference Next I tried to run an offline sfc scan but it could not continue due to pending operations So I renamed the file D Windows WinSxS Pending xml and that allowed me to continue To be on the safe side I ran it in quot verify mode quot sfc verifyonly offbootdir C offwindir D Windows But it found no corrupted files Next I renamed the C BOOT BCD file and created a new one using bootrec but this also did not help Finally I replaced the D Windows system winload exe with a copy stored in D Windows WinSxS Backup and this did change the behavior Instead of xc I got error xc quot Info Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file quot With the new winload exe pressing quot F quot actually worked and so I selected the option quot disable driver signature enforcement quot which then got me a little further in the boot process now ntoskrnl exe raised error xc instead But replacing that one with the backup in D Windows WinSxS Backup did not change the behavior at all and this is where I m at now nbsp

A:Win7 boot manager raises error: winload.exe 0xc0000098 after Windows Update

Sounds like one of the boot drives has failed. If you can get into the Control Panel while in the Safe mode, try changing the OS boot order in SYSTEM, Advanced System Settings, Settings

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-boot-manager-raises-error-winload-exe-0xc0000098-after-windows-update.217405/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi guys I use an old sony vaio laptop with model number VPCSB FG with a Windows Home Premium -bit OS A few days ago I went to a Sony repair center to reformat my laptop it didn t have the OS installer when I bought it and it still have sounds The next day there was an red x mark on the volume icon and there was no sound It said that there are quot No Audio Output No win7 install of sound fresh after Device is installed quot I download the audio driver from Sony site No sound after fresh install of win7 http www sony-asia com support product vpcsb fg and installed it but after the restart there is still no sound and everything s the same I tried installing again a few times and still the same At the device manager the only thing under the quot Sound video and game controller quot is the Intel No sound after fresh install of win7 R Display Audio that is installed and enabled I tried looking No sound after fresh install of win7 at the playback devices and checked the quot Show Disabled Devices quot and quot Show Disconnected Devices quot and it still says quot No audio devices installed quot Now I don t know what to do Is this maybe a hardware problem But it still has sound after the reformat and I didn t let it fall or something like that I hope there s a software solution to this THANK YOU GUYS nbsp

A:No sound after fresh install of win7

Have you tried picking up on other audio drivers? I usually get these to work for me, regardless of mobo: http://realtek-hd-audio-drivers-x64.en.softonic.com/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-after-fresh-install-of-win7.216947/
Relevancy 21.93%

While Win 7 does do backup for my RAID 1 arrays I am not all that happy with the limitations I would like a more robust third party SW that reliably will backup and restore RAID 1 without a lot of fuss. Tried DT Utilities and failed miserably, they stated that RAID 1 is not supported and refunded my money

Vertex 60G SSD RAID 1 WIN 7 OS
Samaung RAID 1 1T 6 partitions development, apps, utility/download, linux, temp, MEDIA
Samsung 2T Backup drive

Looking to do images and incrementals

Email and Facebook type crap is kept on another machine to eliminate nasty pollution.

A:Need suggestion for BackUp software supporting RAID 1 SSD and HHD (win7)

I like nortons ghost, it even works with my raid controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-suggestion-for-backup-software-supporting-raid-1-ssd-and-hhd-win7.151258/
Relevancy 22.36%

The topic pretty much says what I'm wondering about...Is it still possible to somehow buy a Win7 license from Microsoft? -if I would first install Win7 without a product code then I'll have to enter a valid product code to be able to activate windows...but...when I try to do that I only get to the link below and all that I can find is Win8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/get-windows-product-key#get-windows-product-key=windows-7

A:Can Win7 still be bought via Microsoft?

Give them a call and see if they will sell a license. You should be able to find their number when you click activate now from the following location.

Control Panel >> System and Security >> System

I was wondering the same thing recently, but have not needed to ask. If not you could always get an OEM licenses, they are still available.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-win7-still-be-bought-via-microsoft.199695/
Relevancy 21.93%

I just built a new PC (Win7 Ultimate). Things were basically okay and then USB2 or USB3 access to any thumb drive failed (Device Manager Code 10). I did everything covered in:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html

And removed and replaced all my USB2 and USB3 drivers and programs. Sfc /scan now is clean, the device manager shows no problems. Microsoft FixIt USB shows a clean USB system. Event Viewer shows 2x ReadyBoost error, 3x DCOM error (related to Audio driver).

I worked with Broni on Techspot to confirm this is not virus related.

What do you recommend I should try next? Note that I have not Activated my Microsoft products yet and probably need to call them to make them work.

Thanks

A:New Win7 PC USB storage device driver Code 10

EyeSore said:

And removed and replaced all my USB2 and USB3 drivers and programsClick to expand...

What did you do to "replace" the drivers?? I don't think a code 10 would cause the issue described HERE but check the files are present anyway

Also, download and run Filter Driver Load Order. When it opens select any one of your USB disks, click the Clipboard button and paste the info into your next post

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-win7-pc-usb-storage-device-driver-code-10.206770/
Relevancy 21.93%

I downloaded:

debian-7.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso
ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-i386.iso
After trying to install Debian, I think but not sure my problem was installing a 64-bit client. I'm not sure VirtualPC will handle 64-bit clients. Anyway after reading a few post through the forum, I think I should start with Ubuntu. After downloading Ubuntu and trying to get VirtualPC to mount the ISO, it errors out before it even starts. Something about "Segmentation Fault".

Is this due to allowing VirtualPC to create the partition?
Do I need to format the partition to a different file system before trying to install Ubuntu?
I was hoping Ubuntu would format the partition for me. As it is I have no clue what partition type to use.

A:Win7 VirtualPC Linux install failure

I recommend using Virtual Box. Try using it and see if that works. I dont think this is an issue, but do you have Virtualization enabled in BIOS?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-virtualpc-linux-install-failure.196710/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello everyone

I have a problem with the Wi-FI driver on my laptop ASUS X550JK-XO031D
While installing the drivers from:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X550JK/HelpDesk_Download/
"Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Lan Driver" a massage pops out:
"the device may not be present or could have been ejected/unplugged from the system" and there is no Wifi available adapter afterwards.
It's strange because a week ago, I was installing the same drivers, with the same Win7 64bit, on the same model ASUS X550JK-XO031 and everything worked well.
Now with this unit I'm having problems also with the bluetooth adapter. Please help

p.s Yes I checked the BIOS - it's ok {unlocked}
Yes I checked if the Wi-FI is switched on (with the Fn hotkey button)
here is the DxDiag file

Thanks in advance

A:WiFi driver problem Asus win7 64-bit

PROBLEM SOLVED
Apparently I was using wrong driver the correct is
Ralink WLAN driver and the Bluethooth is also Ralink for model ASUS X550JK-XO031D

Hope this will help other users as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-driver-problem-asus-win7-64-bit.211361/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello I have Ultimate Word on Visio new PC Crashes 2007 Win7 and reinstalls 2007 x64 been running Word 2007 Crashes and Visio 2007 reinstalls on Win7 Ultimate x64 new PC a new PC ASUS Z -WS for about four months Over of my application crashes are related to Microsoft products I am running WIN Ultimate x using Office Word crashes daily reporting software exception xe I have run hardware tests including Word diagnostics without finding errors I also run Viso Professional which attempts to reinstall itself every time I start the program I can cancel the install or lets it proceed Once started Viso works correctly Word is my biggest headache as it tends to fail just when you are saving a file for the first time If it recovers it normally looses the data entered it sometimes shows repairs related to image objects but is vague on details I have all the latest Microsoft updates BIOS updates print drivers and have disabled all Word add-ons and have replaced normal doc What would you recommend I try to resolve these concerns Thanks PS The programs worked better when I installed them on a previous PC about years ago nbsp

A:Word 2007 Crashes and Visio 2007 reinstalls on Win7 Ultimate x64 new PC

Was Windows installed fresh on the new PC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/word-2007-crashes-and-visio-2007-reinstalls-on-win7-ultimate-x64-new-pc.210605/
Relevancy 22.79%

Does anyone have instructions? I have some SERIOUSLY incomplete ones!

A:Does anyone know how to create a VHD in win7?

Did it!

If anyone wants to try it let me know I will send or post instructions.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-anyone-know-how-to-create-a-vhd-in-win7.145865/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello all I did something that loading OS Installed windows error over xp win7..now I now realize was not a good plan Running win home and created partition for GB booted from XP install CD and installed to Installed windows xp over win7..now error loading OS new partition then Error loading operating system soon after research I should have done beforehand yields http windows microsoft com en-ca windows install-multiple-operating-system-multiboot TC windows- quot Warning do not install old OS over new OS quot So my questions is now what I have no access to Installed windows xp over win7..now error loading OS my win dvd it is currently missing I have tried to boot from the old XP CD again but no such luck still get quot error quot after I press the any key I have tried a friends quot easy recovery essentials quot cd which allows me access to a shell OS and access to all the files on both of my hard drives I have a feeling I will need a win dvd to boot from I found a simmilar techspot topic indicating I need to reset the boot location but I cannot access a command prompt to execute the suggested commands http www techspot com community topics error-loading-operating-system nbsp

A:Installed windows xp over win7..now error loading OS

Yes, you need a Windows 7 install disk to do a repair of the Windows 7 boot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-windows-xp-over-win7-now-error-loading-os.209501/
Relevancy 22.36%

Inexplicably the search index seems to have stopped. I've checked the services menu and looked at the "Windows Search (WSearch)" and for some reason the service refuses to start. Startup Type is set to Automatic but when I try to manually start it I get "Windows could not start the Windows Search service on Local Computer. Error 3: The system could not find the path specified. Also the event viewer indicates: "The Windows Search service terminated with the following error: The system cannot find the path specified."

I recently reinstalled Malware Bytes using my lifetime account and can't shake the feeling there is something related? The only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling the program and checking but I was hoping for a better strategy...

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Relevancy 22.36%

I was looking for a file and I got a result. 2400 entries for the same one file. STUPID! Any recommendations for a good freeware search program for Win7 64bit that works? Wait, I just check again. I'm now up to 3500 results for the same one file, which I might ad isn't what I'm looking for...sigh

A:Need A Win7 Search Program

Are ALL the results carbon copies or ???

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-a-win7-search-program.192652/
Relevancy 22.36%

I built Steve Walton s quot Budget Box quot with the Kaveri A - and the recommended motherboard memory SSD optical drive case and monitor No overclocking Beautiful to look at The very first time I powered up I was able to install Windows -bit but it crashed during the giant Windows Update process CD/USB installation BSOD from Win7 booting and would not reboot Assuming that the installation was corrupted by this I tried re-installing Windows and was able to reformat the drive BSOD booting from Win7 installation CD/USB but it crashed during the quot completing installation quot step Now I can no longer boot from the Windows CD at all at the quot Starting Windows quot screen it bluescreens x b x or x e ACPI sys I am able to boot Hirens from CD or USB on this build so I can run tests Below are my fault isolation attempts - memtest each stick each slot each overnight No errors - prime overnight No errors - chkdsk r on the SSD attached as a data drive to a working PC No errors found - Tried with SATA configured as IDE in the BIOS no effect - Swapped out PSU and memory from a working PC No effect Attached working graphics card no effect - Tried a spare Windows installation CD then a Windows installation USB no effect - Stripped motherboard of everything non-essential no effect - Replaced motherboard same model no effect Re-tested all of the above no component errors same bluescreens - Successfully installed Windows on the SSD using another PC then moved the SSD to the new build -- same bluescreens trying to boot from it Attached are the bluescreens A big thank you in advance to anyone who can help nbsp

A:BSOD booting from Win7 installation CD/USB

"Tried with SATA configured as IDE in the BIOS, no effect"... Is the SSD normally configured on a SATA 3 port and set as AHCI?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-booting-from-win7-installation-cd-usb.207630/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello!
im tying to format and install win7 via bootable usb. with no luck.
the computer recognize the usb and also boot through it, but at the start of the installation shows me a window with the message:

"No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK"
"Load Driver
A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. if you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.
Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

I found on google that the reason might be the usb ports. if they are usb 3.0 it won't work.
and I think mine are usb 3.0, it shows above to ports a symbol of usb and "ss" before it.
do you have any idea you guys?
thank you!

A:Problem with formatting and installing win7

skippy22 said:

I found on google that the reason might be the usb ports. if they are usb 3.0 it won't work. and I think mine are usb 3.0, it shows above to ports a symbol of usb and "ss" before it.Click to expand...

Without USB 3.0 drivers the port should still work as a 2.0 port. USB 3.0 ports are usually color coded blue. If you have ports that are not blue, they are more than likely not USB 3.0 ports. All I can suggest is trying a port that is not USB 3.0, although I don't understand why USB 3.0 ports don't work. USB 3.0 is USB 2.0 with an additional chip and connector pins for faster throughput.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-formatting-and-installing-win7.203946/
Relevancy 22.36%

So I finally finished my new build and got everything up and running but I cant seem to get Windows Aero to work. I can select the theme for Aero, but can't get any of the effects. I found a thread on here, http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic151340.html , that had the same exact problem, but not sure what he did to fix it. I also only have the 15 check boxes. My system specs are;

Asus Rampage III Formula
Intel i7 950
EVGA GTX550TI
Windows 7 64-bit

Not sure if anything else is needed. I've already updated windows, made sure I have all the latest drivers and even tried to force Aero to work by doing what was told here; http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/13/hack-to-force-enable-aero-in-windows-7/

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated so that I can get rid of this headache.

A:Can't get Aero to work on Win7

Try running the experience index, that might help. Right click (My) Computer and select properties, there should be a option to run the assessment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-get-aero-to-work-on-win7.163613/
Relevancy 22.79%

My Windows 7 X64 is doing 2 things starting to concern me because I cant figure out how to fix it. The first thing is its not recognizing my Antivirus (Avast), Action center keeps popping up saying its off and needs to be turn on but it wont turn on, while Avast says everything is fine (did full removal of avast and reinstall and problem persists).

The second thing is I got the "you may have a counterfeit copy of windows" popup, I bought an OEM copy of 7 off NewEgg so I know its not counterfeit, when I open up System it says Status not available, Product ID not available. Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on with my system?

A:Problems with Win7

Hit Start, type in "activate Windows", what happens?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-with-win7.200886/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello all,

I'm going to install Windows 7 X64, Windows 7 X86, Windows 8.1 X64, Ubuntu and FreeBSD all on my PC! I want to dedicate one separated drive for each OS. My main OS for daily working will be the Windows 7 X64. I have this purpose because I like to work and be familiar with all of those OSs. I don't want to use the virtual machines for that because I want to utilize all of the PC power when working with each one. Any one will be selected from boot (like dual boot).
What's your opinion on this case? And which one should be installed respectively?
Thanks.

A:Installing Win7 X86, X64, Win8.1 X64, Ubuntu & FreeBSD with each other

No reply!?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-win7-x86-x64-win8-1-x64-ubuntu-freebsd-with-each-other.200397/
Relevancy 18.92%

From windows explorer>computer, I see the "Hard Disk Drives (1) drive name as only "System" and no drive letter?

by default I understand is that it should display "Local Disk (C" even if you rename it to system, it should appear as "system (C"

Any ideas why this is so?

Thanks in adv.

Ken

A:Why does win7 not show my drive with the drive letter

Stupid me.. dont show drive letter. was checjed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-does-win7-not-show-my-drive-with-the-drive-letter.199584/
Relevancy 22.36%

I used to be able to really easily change the icon of a particular file type in XP, but I can't remember how.
WinRAR files are showing up with this icon: (winrar icon inside a page)
but I would prefer this icon: (without the page)

How do I change default filetype icon in Win7?
I've looked around and I see all sorts of crazy junk with convoluted steps and registry edits, and I know that in XP there used to be an easy way to do it -- does it still exist?

A:Change file icon in Win7?

Try this: http://izt.name/apps/types/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-file-icon-in-win7.192247/
Relevancy 22.36%

Looking for info on how to upgrade from Win Home to Win Professional The info I could find related to this at Microsoft either did not apply or did not work Here s what I am trying to do to from Win7 Professional Home Upgrade My PC is a home build with Windows Home OEM I would like to upgrade to Windows Professional to have more control over user accounts and access to drives and programs I attempted to use Anytime Upgrade but received message that this wasn t available - reason was not clear All attempts to follow links to MS site resulted in options for upgrading to Windows I have not been able to find a way to purchase Home to Professional upgrade My question is which options do I have and which is the best easiest least expensive to use Purchase Win Professional OEM and do a clean install or upgrade Purchase Win Professional Retail Upgrade from Win7 Home to Professional and do a clean install or upgrade Would appreciate any Upgrade from Win7 Home to Professional help nbsp

A:Upgrade from Win7 Home to Professional

The Anytime Upgrade option would normally require you to purchase the 7 Pro upgrade (only or at a retailer) and then provide the product key from that package.

The 7Pro upgrade is becoming more difficult to find.

The OEM package is and will be available for quite some time, and *MAYBE* you can use it for an upgrade rather than a full clean reinstall. If it fails, you can always use the weekend to wipe-and-install it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-from-win7-home-to-professional.198939/
Relevancy 22.79%

Greetings It s been awhile since I have had an opportunity to visit I was upgrading my rig to Win from XP The won't load Win7 system booted and windows loaded the files Once it reached the blue Win splash screen everything stopped I tried two separate installation discs and two separate hard drives same result each time I reseated everything I could but no joy Installation dies at same point I had previously run XP Pro with no glitches I am running a EVGA i mobo GB Corsair memory three WD HDD s TB total Evga TI Video cards in SLI and an Antec PSU I lost video at one point I removed one of the cards an after booting had video I reinstalled the other card and had no problems After all that the install dies in same spot I am at a loss why the install stops in the same spot It s my understanding an OS installs to memory first then upon Win7 won't load first reboot it writes to the hard drive I have installed XP Win7 won't load numerous times and Win five or six times This is the first time this has happened and I have nothing to fall back on for an explanation I m looking for input nbsp

A:Win7 won't load

Sure your Win 7 DVD is not bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-wont-load.204347/
Relevancy 23.22%

I'm sick of seeing some variation of the following on the web:
"8GB RAM is fine, you won't ever use more than 3GB and I've never seen my rig go above 4GB."​​Is that so? Below are pics of my 8GB RAM work laptop, showing some things I have open. Note the following: it's pretty much idle; nothing open in PS; it's not even really demanding stuff.

inb4 memory leak

A:Win7 uses more than 4GB

To be fair though, you do have a fair bit open. 15 Techspot tabs!?!

I think the "you'll never use more than 3GB" comment is more often than not used to convince a builder to put more money towards other, more important components, such as a CPU or an SSD. This makes a lot of sense, as memory is probably the easiest component to upgrade.

If somebody is building a PC or buying a laptop to be used as a workstation, then maybe 16GB is the way to go. But if you have four slots, why not populate two and see how you go? PERSONALLY (bold and underlined for affect) I have never seen my memory usage go above 6GB, and I use my rig for gaming, as a basic workstation and for everyday browsing (sometimes all at once ). The day I see it hit 8GB, I'll go down and buy a couple more sticks, and It'll be as easy as that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-uses-more-than-4gb.191171/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello, well please help me, I have HP compaq dc 7700p processor (form factor, ultra slim). well, it works fine with XP , but today, I installed windows 7 ultmae on it. the problem begins from this: when I restart my computer , it goes on restarting and dont want to enter in windows, but when I unplug the power cable and plung it again and power on processor, my processor begins to enter in windows and everything is ok .

please help me

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-compaq-dc-7700-conflict-with-win7.196452/
Relevancy 21.93%

Windows Movie Maker is not included in Win7, however it can be easily imported from Vista to Win7.

Microsoft offer Windows Live Movie Maker as a substitute, but it cannot edit audio files whereas the Vista version can.

Open Vista Program files and copy the folder entitled: "Movie Maker". Paste the folder intact into Win7 Program files.

Create a shortcut to desktop by opening the "Movie Maker" folder & right clicking the file "MOVIEMK". Click: "Send to desktop as shortcut".

If desired, the shortcut on the desktop can be copied and pasted into the "Start Menu" which is found using the following:

1. Open any folder. In top taskbar click: Tools \ Folder Option \ View Tab \ Dot: "Show hidden files, folders & drives".

2. Open Win7 C:\ Program Data \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Start Menu \ Programs

Simply paste the desktop shortcut into the programs folder, and reset folder view to normal.

A:Import Windows Movie Maker from Vista to Win7

Yes but what if you don't have Vista Movie Maker? (ie You updated to Windows 7 and realized now that you need it. Or you upgraded from XP)

I think most will feel this is the biggest problem.

Not for me though, because I use free VLC Media Player, and have done so for years (Oh for viewing only )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/import-windows-movie-maker-from-vista-to-win7.138272/
Relevancy 22.36%

I almost always use msn while I'm doing other things so I normally have msn open on the left of my screen (widescreen so it isnt too bad) and my other programs on the right.
The trouble with this is it means that I always have to resize and position new programs to make them fit, it would be great if I could click a button like maximize, and have the window snap to the correct size and position (around 2/3 maximized)

Does anyone know of any free software that could do this? it would be great to be able to add 2 buttons on the top bar, 1 to "maximize to the left" and one to "maximize to the right" with the size and position of the snapping being customizable?

Many thanks

A:Software that can set the size of my windows in Win7?

This might just do the job but I've not seen anything that comes closer. No guarantee.

http://www.windows7download.com/win7-screen-mode-switch/zwkaqbzv.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/software-that-can-set-the-size-of-my-windows-in-win7.162663/
Relevancy 22.36%

Is this even possible? Is anyone running ANY version of SQL 2008 with win7 home?

A:SQL 2008 with Win7 Home

SQL 2008 Express which is free can work with Windows 7.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(v=SQL.100).aspx

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sql-2008-with-win7-home.160126/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi all

I have tried to install itunes for windows 7 64bit professional with no luck. i get three error messages as follows:
1) could not open key: unknown components\DA42........
verify that you have sufficient access to that key.

2)Service apple mobile device failed to start , verify that you have sufficient access to that key.

3)Apple application support was not found. Apple application support is needed to run itunes. Please uninstall then reinstall itunes.
Error 2 ( windows error 2)

the programs shows up in the list of programs when i uninstall it, but it just wont open.

I have tried every link that i could find on the topic. If anyone else has had this problem and found a solution, please post it.

Many Thanks

Warren

A:Itunes wont install on win7 64 bit pro

Hi Warren :wave:

Welcome to :grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/itunes-wont-install-on-win7-64-bit-pro.159614/
Relevancy 22.79%

Am I asking for trouble The setup Win SP -bit Home Premium installed on the PC s single TB HDD add a new GB SSD to become the boot drive How do I move Windows The deeper setup this PC doesn t exist yet I m in the middle of accumulating components for what will be my first DIY PC and naturally my shopping list Moving SSD? new to a Win7 is hard up against my budget constraints - minus dispay and other Moving Win7 to a new SSD? peripherals Will be a dedicated gamer to play racing games at gt fps on a single quot - quot display at high or near high settings pCARS Assetto Corsa I had originally planned on a GB SSD and a TB HDD but in order to advance the project a bit have about decided to forego the SSD for now and put the thing together with just the HDD Add the SSD later Upon further thought not sure that s such a good idea Probably I should Moving Win7 to a new SSD? just suck it up and wait til the pennies add up to enough to include the SSD Or forget the SSD altogether I m dithering I know but it would help me move on if I had some idea of how complicated and or risky it would be to add an SSD later and move Windows to it through cloning or whatever I will keep the old Vista budget PC for non-gaming duties and archives The DIY project Win SP -bit Home Premium OEM disc bought i - K GHz stock on the way Mobo Asus Z -A on the way Corsair Vengeance LP GB x GB DDR planned Gigabyte GeForce GTX GB planned TB WD Blue SATA Gb s MB cache bought PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro M W PLUS Bronze planned DVD burner Case Corsair Carbide R mid tower bought SSD - Stock cooling for a bit before I start overclocking Thanks gentlemen Frank nbsp

A:Moving Win7 to a new SSD?

I am not sure exactly how to move info from an HDD to an SSD, but I recommend you just install Windows fresh on the SSD. It is definitely your choice though, hopefully someone else can help you out. Maybe jobeard can help.

Just a side note though, I do not recommend CM PSUs .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/moving-win7-to-a-new-ssd.195995/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi, I Have a problem. My Laptop WIN display me a notification on blank black wallpaper and suggests me that the copy of windows is not geniune...?!

I tried many ways to fix the error, but no results! I tried typing cmd, then, slmgr -reamr, but again- no results.

Please, help me, would be good recycling that winlogon 4ever...

Best,

ThreTwoOne

A:Win7 Build 7601...not geniune

Try the instruction in this link, they should help with your issue.
Activate Windows by phone

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-build-7601-not-geniune.193401/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have good temps, i have done memtest many times full pass 24 passes total. PSU tested good. clean install of all drivers. HDD is at 100% health with no bad sectors or weak sectors.

Getting a bunch of BSOD's lately getting annoying cause i cant play any of my games

A:BSODs on Win7 64-bit please help me with minidumps

I have read 5 of your 7 minidump files. Before proceeding do the BSODs occur only when trying to game or at other times?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsods-on-win7-64-bit-please-help-me-with-minidumps.177600/
Relevancy 21.93%

Avast indicated I have viruses. I have been running virus scans through SARDU and trinity rescue kit (with no effect so far) but haven't been able to run any programs within windows as it freezes. So I don't know how to acquire the mbam logs or hijack this logs. Does anyone know how to run these programs in a bootable environment? Or any other suggestions.. Safe mode is exactly the same, freezes completely shortly after booting.

A:Laptop freezes shortly after booting Win7

"Safe mode is exactly the same"...

You will have to format and re-install Windows

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-freezes-shortly-after-booting-win7.177416/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi! I want to run windows 8 as virtual environment in virtual box as host as win7...
my lap specs are...is this enough to run win8 as virtual machine ..??
specs:
intel core(tm) i3 cpu
RAM: 3gb
32-bit
2.13ghz
I need to know whether I can run win8 as virtual machine....??
thanks in advance

A:Running windows 8 as virtual machine in win7

You cannot run a virtual machine with only 3GB of RAM. Windows 7 needs 2GB to run. You will then only have 1GB for running Windows 8, which is not enough. You should have at least 8GB of RAM and a quad core CPU to run virtual machines. Also, since you have only a dual core CPU, 1 core will be needed for Win8, and another for Win7. this will make both OS's run very slow.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/running-windows-8-as-virtual-machine-in-win7.191853/
Relevancy 22.36%

I need a help to resolve the below error Safe Mode works fine Operating System Windows Home Premium bit Build Service Pack Win7 BCCode:109 1033 BSOD win Sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model HP Pavilion P Series BIOS BIOS Date Ver Processor AMD Phenom tm II X T Processor CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode every time it gives me same message Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the Win7 BSOD 1033 BCCode:109 problem BCCode BCP A A D BBD BCP B B EEE BA BCP FFFFF B A C BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Win7 BSOD 1033 BCCode:109 Users Owner AppData Local Temp Win7 BSOD 1033 BCCode:109 WER- - sysdata xml Read our privacy statement online http go microsoft com fwlink linkid amp amp clcid x If the online privacy statement is not available please read our privacy statement offline C Windows system en-US erofflps txt I get this BSOD very often it does it every - hours nbsp

Relevancy 21.93%

This is the th time i reinstall windows and hope to get a crash free computer but to no success Changed harddrives to new ones but still same issue when i go to bed i turn on BSOD Win7, Daily 0x24 ntfs.sys off the power button on the PSU and the first thing that happends when i use it again Daily BSOD on Win7, ntfs.sys 0x24 is i get a BSOD at windows desktop it can be everything from ntfs sys a number of various other files i dont remember but are all in the minidump Then i turn it off with the power switch and it reboots that usually fixes the PC for the first hours Then many times in games i get BSOD from various types again its totally random sometimes hours down to minutes and random games no pattern - - i also use Driveragent to check if all drivers are up to date and they are im clueless to what it can be so now i decided to get some help from people with the right knowledge I used a program called Whocrashed in attemt to find the source of it but was kinda useless as it only said time and again quot Your system configuration may be incorrect Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time quot Here are the minidump files filedropper com minidump Here is my computer it is not OC ed techpowerup com gallery html please help me im tired of not being able to use my new computer nbsp

A:Daily BSOD on Win7, ntfs.sys 0x24

Please read and follow these instructions:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51365.html
It will tell you how to post your minidumps and do some tests, although you might just be over-clocking or have a rogue program causing your problems

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/daily-bsod-on-win7-ntfs-sys-0x24.177213/
Relevancy 22.36%

I keep getting BSOD with different errors win32k.sys, dxgkrnl.sys. I reinstalled OS about a week ago. I took all the steps that were recommended before posting mini-dumps.

A:BSOD on Win7 -- various errors

"I took all the steps that were recommended before posting mini-dumps"...
So you ran the memory and hard drive checks? Was Windows 7 the original OS on this computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-on-win7-various-errors.175524/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi all... several months back I did a build and installed Win7(64) as my OS.
(a Gigable ud5 board, with an i5, and an ssd).

A couple months later, I bought a second copy of this OS to install on another system.
BUT... as it turned out the other system didn't need it.
I was able to recover with OEM recovery disks.
BUT, meanwhile I had opened the new Win7 dvd packet.
Then, I set it aside.
Now, I am trying to determine which copy is in use on my system,
and which is still available for use on another system.
Any quick easy way of doing this?
Thanks.

A:Indentifying which copy of Win7 I have installed

Probably www.belarc.com

or http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4974-speccy.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/indentifying-which-copy-of-win7-i-have-installed.190421/
Relevancy 21.5%

I ve been having issues with my laptop for quite some time and it mostly stemmed from an issue with my GPU The GPU kept throttling its voltages when it was switching from D rendering to D rendering and it would cause the laptop to crash My workaround solution for this was to download Rivatuner and force the GPU to be in D performance around the clock This has been how I ve kept my laptop up and running and gaming for the last year and a half or so Lately I ve encountered a new problem with the computing crashing to a black screen again despite updating graphics card drivers reformatting checking my DC input to see if it was shorting itself on the cables to the monitor as well as disabling my undervolt Direct3D expert on standard drivers needed - Win7 Enabling I had on my CPU and buying a new power adapter This all has no fixed whatever issue is going on with my laptop Now upon finally reformatting my computer and some trial and error I have found Enabling Direct3D on standard Win7 drivers - expert needed that if I simply don t upgrade my graphics card drivers from the standard ones installed with Win my computer won t black screen on me The only downfall to this issue is that by not updating my graphics card drivers I cannot Enabling Direct3D on standard Win7 drivers - expert needed for the life of me figure out if its possible to enable Direct D or not I ll tell you what I have done to try to enable it I ve tried downloading all the optional SDK DirectX software I ve tried enabling Direct D through the registry but there are no values for anything pertaining to Direct D I ve tried enabling it through the Display Properties in Windows through desk cpl and there are no options for Hardware Acceleration probably because I don t have any real drivers for my GPU Those of you who feel my computer model and such are important I ll give you the info here Gateway P -FX nVidia GeForce M GTS I must make a point that using the official nVidia drivers xx from the nVidia website or using more updated drivers and modifying the INF makes no difference to how the laptop crashes it still does no matter what The only thing that seems to keep it from crashing with the drivers updated on it is simply running it off the battery strangely enough having it run on the AC adapter makes it crash Any insight on this or experiments you think might help me out or anyone who knows if in my situation you can enable Direct D Acceleration would be greatly appreciated I bought this laptop when it was retailing for and I m still paying the student loan off for it would really break my heart if I can t salvage it I m no professional in the field but I d like to believe I ve done every possible thing to try and fix this issue nbsp

A:Enabling Direct3D on standard Win7 drivers - expert needed

Are you using driver 285.62? ( win 7 32bit)

Not sure if you need a OEM driver.. Try driver ver 174.82. You can find them here: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/89

Also it sounds like your ac power adapter is failing to me. If the laptop works fine on battery only i would put money on it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/enabling-direct3d-on-standard-win7-drivers-expert-needed.176572/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi My newly upgraded computer is started giving me Blue screens yesterday the specs are Biostar A G motherboard gigs PNY ram in gig sticks AMD athlon II X geforce videocard watt diablotek PS I upgraded the mobo ram and CPU about a month ago and everything has been fine until yesterday when it started blue screening every mins I ran memtest with all the possible permutations of slot dimm and they both failed before the first run was over Simple right it s either the mobo or the ram failing so why am I bothering to ask Before upgrading of my ram memory or Win7 supply? power BSOD issues sticks had failed on my BSOD Win7 memory issues or power supply? old motherboard in the last year or so with this same power supply Plus the PS has developed some nasty sounds a very loud high BSOD Win7 memory issues or power supply? pitched whine and a deep grinding groaning noise on cold start so after all that rambling could it be the power supply causing the ram to fail memtest thanks for any help advice oh and strangely it s been running fine all day with only one of the BSOD Win7 memory issues or power supply? ram dimms in place View attachment spliggett dmp zip nbsp

A:BSOD Win7 memory issues or power supply?

CLFS.sys is flagging in the minidumps...
Check your memory and hard drive for errors:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51365.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-win7-memory-issues-or-power-supply.176564/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hello my fellow techies I have spent the last few days working on my friends Sony Vaio PCG- L which by the way is not listed anywhere on sony s website It runs windows bit and it freezes immediately after the Windows logo starts it s animation and there s about an inch of the top of the screen that is filled with weird colored lines So I told him Win7 freezing logo, VAIO PCG-7184L, mode safe at freezes on hal.dll sure I ll fix it it s probably just a virus and should be fairly simple I will list in sequence what I have done so far to diagnose fix the issue One more thing it started doing this VAIO PCG-7184L, freezing at Win7 logo, safe mode freezes on hal.dll freeze up thing the same day he got it back from the Geek Squad at Best Buy who were doing a simple update and cleaning from what my friend told me OK here s what I did Tried booting into safemode froze on hal dll with same colored lines at top of screen Tried booting into ERD Commander k and froze at the same spot Booted into Linux live CD and scanned for viruses with avast there were none -This is when I looked at his hard drive capacity and realized that only windows was installed Best Buy must have wiped everything and not told him -OK no viruses so I ll run hardware checks Found a place to d l the windows bit repair disk and ran it only to have it tell me that it can t automatically fix the problem followed by a report as to which tests were successful and which were not Booted into Hiren s Boot CD and ran every hardware tester available and all came back clean -I remembered seeing three partitions on the Hard Drive while I was in Linux which lead me to my next step Using Hiren s I booted into the quot Repair quot partition which was installed by Sony before my friend purchased the laptop -Excellent I have access to the manufacturers testing tools and restore software Ran even more tests on both the hard drive and the CPU just to be absolutely sure -At this point I decided since Best Buy already deleted all my friends music files I will just set the computer back to factory defaults with the restore computer option Ran the restore computer option and it successfully completed at then rebooting the computer and as soon as that windows logo animation started BOOM frozen again And this is where I am stuck normally I would think that it must be the graphics controller because it s the only thing I didn t have testing tool for But thinking more I remembered that I was able to run the Linux Live CD for over an hour with no problems with video or anything I can t believe that setting it back to factory defaults didn t fix it Could it be some kind of crazy rootkit or damn I don t even know what to do next I suggested to my friend that if I can t get windows working again that I would try to do a full install of Ubuntu on there for him since he only surfs the net and listens to music it should be fine for him Please if anyone has any suggestions of what to try next I am all ears and thank you all in advance for wanting to help P S Sorry for the super long post I just figured the details would be useful OK back again I decided to download a fresh hal dll and replace the one which seems to be failing and now I get this error even before getting to the windows logo It says File Windows system hal dll Status xc Info Windows failed to load because the HAL is missing or corrupt nbsp

A:VAIO PCG-7184L, freezing at Win7 logo, safe mode freezes on hal.dll

So I just ran the windows repair disc again and this is the Startup Repair problem details:

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 886
Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: FailureDuringSetup
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

This is the Diagnosis and Repair details, I have to type all this up by hand so I excluded everything that was successfully tested:

Number of repair attempts: 1

Session Details
-------------------------------------
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows Directory = D:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Root cause found:
----------------------------------------
Failure while setup is in progress.

These are the tests that were successful all with an error code of 0x0:
Check for Updates
System disk test
Disk failure diagnosis
Disk metadata test
Target OS test
Volume content check
Boot manager diagnosis
System boot log diagnosis
Event log diagnosis
Internal state check
Boot status test
Setup state check

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vaio-pcg-7184l-freezing-at-win7-logo-safe-mode-freezes-on-hal-dll.176491/