Windows Support Forum

Upgrade/repair stopped mid-upgrade. Why?

Q: Upgrade/repair stopped mid-upgrade. Why?

I needed to quot repair quot my Win Home Prem -bit mid-upgrade. stopped Upgrade/repair Why? OEM because optical drives Upgrade/repair stopped mid-upgrade. Why? could no longer write sfc scannow found nothing So I chose upgrade in place because the idea of re-installing everything would be too disruptive and shouldn't be needed for this kind of problem I had Kaspersky AV turned off I was quot upgrading quot within Windows as suggested here in Brink's tutorial and would not change versions After finding all the files the upgrade process started to expand Windows files The computer restarted right away after the beginning of that process but it went to the log-in and put Upgrade/repair stopped mid-upgrade. Why? up a message stating that quot This version of Windows could not be installed quot Nothing Upgrade/repair stopped mid-upgrade. Why? has changed on my mobo since the original install except a flash of a new BIOS version from Gigabyte In fact recently but before the BIOS was flashed I did re-install Win from scratch clean and that went off without a hitch As suggested in the message box I looked at the quot Upgrade Adviser quot pages but nothing seemed to be about this issue same Win and same install DVD as its last clean install Any suggestions I had considered fixWin before doing this but sfc scannow seemd like the stongest tool in its arsenal and I already did that and found nothing Thanks in advance for any suggestions jonathan

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Upgrade/repair stopped mid-upgrade. Why?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Upgrade/repair stopped mid-upgrade. Why?

Hello jonathan7007, welcome to Seven Forums!

"because optical drives could no longer write"

To me, this doesn't seem like a Windows issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/118713-upgrade-repair-stopped-mid-upgrade-why.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Interesting issue Have a Win x ultimate oem box lost the original key replaced motherboard cpu bought a retail copy and key used the key no "upgrade" - option Overlay/repair/in upgrade place to Overlay/repair/in place upgrade - no "upgrade" option activate to get the nag screens without using a program to Overlay/repair/in place upgrade - no "upgrade" option circumvent This was a couple years ago Recently I can't do an in place upgrade repair The option for quot upgrade quot never shows up It will allow me to install on any of my hdd or in a new folder on my ssd The system as a whole is usable and has no major issue that I can see other than this one It may also be notable that the installation DOES NOT check for updates before moving on to the license agreement and partition check It will not upgrade to either It gets as far as setting up temporary files then crashes to the desktop The reason behind the reinstallation was to correct any issues with the OS that may be causing the installation issue Any ideas I've done the basics malware free chkdsk my checksur log is pretty f-ed up for windows updates I'm thinking that's probably not the cause however

A:Overlay/repair/in place upgrade - no "upgrade" option

Hello fxdmusic Welcome to the Seven Forums! No upgrade to repair option?

Well I won't recommend a repair of the present installation but seeing a fresh copy of 7 go on and grabbing SP1 required if you are planning to move onto to W10! Presently I have a working dual boot of both 7 and 10 across two separate hard drives where the second first seeing a clone of the previous 7 host drive now set as the second in 10's BCD boot order had failed on the spot to see the upgrade go on! What?

Following the failed first few attempts where the clone was thought to be the problem preventing the upgrade from completion when just after the first restart once the setup files had been copied to the drive from the usb installation key the Media Creation tool first used and later a 3rd party program for seeing another iso single not combination 32/64bit for 10 Pro that went onto a 16gb flash drive but seeing both 32bit and 64bit downloads the 32bit for a planned VM project later it wasn't either usb key or the second fresh install of 7 to the second drive.

But?! it was discovered that two storage and backup drives were what were seeing the newer version's boot files and temporary set up folders placed on them! Do you have any other hard drives internal or external plugged in while trying to upgrade? Unplug those before trying again!

Before I ended up taking a good look at the clean install guide seen at Ten Forums one of the other sites seen at Windows 10 Tutorials[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup where you will find a list of guides there for clean install, upgrade install, how to download and save 10 as an ISO image file, how to make up the usb key, etc. I had even tried seeing the upgrade go over the host drive's original 7 installation there but glad it failed before realizing having any non OS drives plugged during the upgrade or clean install process was a disaster in the making!

One other recommendation for you would be to get over to TF there for additional help as well as review of the guides since that forum is intended for 10 support. I think you will find that a good number of people have found themselves in familiar circumstances when trying to get 10 to go on!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/377911-overlay-repair-place-upgrade-no-upgrade-option.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello out there! I started installing W10 on my old laptop yesterday, now screen shows 32% finished - and stopped. Has not changed during the night. What can I do now?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4d2ea09d-2911-4dc0-827f-47e0990979b7/w10-upgrade-stopped?forum=TechnetSandboxForum
Relevancy 64.93%

My husband gave me his old dell inspiron e1705 that came with xp media center on it. Dell has its own factory settings ghost install on it so I started from scratch. I was attacked by a worm recently and some system files were corrupted. I have no disk for the computer, dell does not give them or my husband lost it. I have our xp pro disk from work that I was only hoping to run a repair install and restore damaged system files but of course it wants to upgrade. It tells me invalid key and it's already partially installed pro on there and I cannot get out of it.

I don't know, please help. I've been looking through keys and key gens and all these registry and deactivation tools which are no help to my currently unavailable system

A:Trying To Repair/upgrade With Xp Pro

At the bottom of this page:Dell supportYou will find a link to request replacement CD's. Takes a little over a week. Mine was free. You might still need to go to your specific model's download page for certain drivers

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/144058/trying-to-repairupgrade-with-xp-pro/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi I upgrade (repair) can't I had problem with IE RC I posted it here but there I can't upgrade (repair) is not solution I cant send mails from the Hotmail I tried the Final version of IE but the problem didnt slove I wanted to repair the Win sp upgarde but it showing me this message The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading Cancel the upgrade complete each task and then restart the upgrade to continue Your I can't upgrade (repair) current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to Windows cannot complete the upgrade Windows needs to be restarted so necessary changes to system files can be made before continuing Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and or programs These devices might not work properly after the upgrade Before upgrading we recommend updating the drivers for these devices Cancel the upgrade open Control Panel and search for quot update device drivers quot or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers USB Virtualization USB Virtualization Stub Driver These programs might not work properly after the upgrade We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading Cancel the upgrade open Control Panel and search for quot uninstall a program quot Note Programs marked as can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade Age of Empires III and thanks

A:I can't upgrade (repair)

You'll need to slipstream SP1 into your DVD ISO to run a Repair Install now: Slipstream Windows 7 SP1 into a Installation DVD or ISO File - Windows 7 Forums

Update the driver shown, or uninstall it during Repair.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/150873-i-cant-upgrade-repair.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I've seen the I repair? do do an upgrade How tutorial at Repair Install How do I do an upgrade repair? already but the problem is that I do not have the option of going online to get the latest updates I have the -bit digital river download by the way and trying to do an upgrade only gives How do I do an upgrade repair? me this message saying that all my directories have to be on the same partition It tells me that I have to do a clean install This whole problem came about when I tried using easeus partition master to resize my e drive where my win is installed from gb to gb For some reason it was unable to complete it's task and after rebooting I have been unable to load windows The os itself will boot however nothing appears on the desktop other than my mouse I can use the task manager to run a limited number of processes such as explorer and the windows install file but that's about it Any help would be much appreciated

A:How do I do an upgrade repair?

Quote: Originally Posted by CryLost

I've seen the tutorial at Repair Install already but the problem is that I do not have the option of going online to get the latest updates. I have the 32-bit digital river download by the way and trying to do an upgrade only gives me this message saying that all my directories have to be on the same partition. It tells me that I have to do a clean install. This whole problem came about when I tried using easeus partition master to resize my e: drive (where my win7 is installed) from ~800 gb to ~150 gb. For some reason it was unable to complete it's task and after rebooting I have been unable to load windows 7. The os itself will boot, however, nothing appears on the desktop other than my mouse. I can use the task manager to run a limited number of processes such as explorer and the windows 7 install file but that's about it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Can you do a system restore? If so go back to the time that things were good. If not can you do a system restore in safe mode?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/47895-how-do-i-do-upgrade-repair.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I just got an Athlon64 X2 4400 and ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe which all seems to work fine. I tried to hook up my 2 computer LAN via the onboard Gigabit LAN and both comps report, "limited or no connectivity". Ive never had problems in the past with setting up home LANs and dont know what to try? all i tried was turning off the SP2 firewall and trying a different cable

any help appretiated...

Relevancy 64.07%

I've got an Onboard NIC SIS 900 pci fast ethernet adapter. It was running fine in windows 98se. I upgraded to winxp professional. The adapter installed fine. and shows its running ok in the device manager. The prob is that the system tray shows the network cable is unplugged. I tried ipconfig and it says media unplugged. Anyone have a clue how to fix this without buying a new NIC? It was working fine in win98se.

Relevancy 64.07%

I have a homebuilt desktop Repair 8.1 to to Need Upgrade for W10 Windows running Windows Pro that I put together last year around an ASUS Z motherboard and an Intel i quad core CPU Drives are a GB Kingston SSD as C drive TB Western Need to Repair Windows 8.1 for Upgrade to W10 Digital HDD for applications and storage and a GB WD HDD for various video files It ran very well for the first few months but lately I've been having problems with stability it crashes and restarts once a day or more I have a current version of AVG internet security which reports no malware issues and my power supply voltages look good so I thought that perhaps the upgrade to Windows would help The auto-downloaded version of Windows would not install so I created an installation disk on another computer and tried that The installation did not succeed and I got an error message that one of my kernel files was corrupted or missing Unfortunately I did not take a screenshot of the error message and now I can't get it back What I tried instead was a repair installation of Windows again using a DVD-ROM burned using the media creation tool on my laptop I've tried three times to reinstall with that but I have not succeeded in getting past the first stage of the installation process I'm trying to see how I can successfully upgrade to W or else repair W hopefully without losing files and settings My assets include a current Acronis True Image backup of both computers on an NAS server but the oldest backup is only days old I can't remember for sure but that may be after I started having the stability problems And if I did restore from an older backup I would prefer not to lose my recent work I'm not exactly sure how to reinstall Windows files from an old backup but work files from a recent one I'm away from the computer right now so I don't have access to detailed hardware software info but I should have some time to work on it tonight Thanks in advance for any help

A:Need to Repair Windows 8.1 for Upgrade to W10

You need to know if the drive is failing . . you can run diagnostics on the hard drive by downloading Seatools and making a bootable disc. Do the short and long test.

If either test fails, the drive needs to be replaced.

See this for how to make a bootable cd:

How to Burn a Bootable ISO File

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/need-to-repair-windows-8-1-for-upgrade-to-w10-1036537.html
Relevancy 64.07%

This might sound silly but I am being serious. I am currently learning to upgrade and repair laptops (self thought) and I would like to get an old laptop, one that no one wants or can repair. Does anyone know where I can get such thing? I want it to disassemble and reassemble (just for practice). I need to be able to pull apart a computer without breaking anything, and put it back together without missing a part. Thanks in advance, and it's fine if you can't help.

A:Laptop Upgrade and Repair

e-bay quite often has laptops sold as for spare/repairs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-upgrade-and-repair.131411/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi

I am trying to do a "repair install" of Vista Ultimate, updated to SP2, I have slipstreamed a Vista Install disk to SP2 but when I run the install I get no upgrade option and a message that says I need a later version install disk.

I cannot uninstall SP2 as the uninstall fails.

Is there anything else I can do?

thanks

Daniel

A:Cannot repair/upgrade Ultimate SP2

Doesn't matter, I have reinstalled the OS.

Cheers

Daniel

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282239-cannot-repair-upgrade-ultimate-sp2.html
Relevancy 64.07%

My Win7/home is borked. Sfc /scannow is in an incomplete loop. A windows update is also jammed. (Shows 51% at reboot and then disappears). Instead of going through (another) repair install, I'd just as soon just do a win10 upgrade.

would I introduce errors by upgrading over a bad win7 install?

Thanks. (Any typos due to stupid iPad typing autocorrect and no backspace or delete. Thats why pic wins.)

A:Win7 needs a repair: okay to just upgrade to 10, instead?

What do you mean by incomplete loop when running system file checker ? How did you do a repair install, used Windows 7 media disc ?
Upgrading may introduce more issues especially unable to download updates. How about a clean install of Windows 10 or clean install Windows 7 and then upgrade.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/40988-win7-needs-repair-okay-just-upgrade-10-instead.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I am having major WINDOWS 7 installation problems.
I suspect I have somehow corrupted original Windows files and several people have suggested doing a REPAIR from original installation discs.

My original 'installation disc' for VISTA was an upgrade of WINDOWS XP and does not have a repair feature. It just offers "Upgrade" or "Custom Installation".

What and how do I repair my now destroyed Windows files. I have seemingly lost 20 gigs of hard drive after one failed install and WINDOWS 7 now no longer seems to think I have an appropriate hard drive or enough free space (I have almost 50 gigs worth now).

A:HOW do I REPAIR with only an upgrade disc

Follow the excellent advice as given, by our Administrator Brink

Repair Install

Any questions or problems and one of our helpful members will be there to assist you.

And welcome to the forum.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/56468-how-do-i-repair-only-upgrade-disc.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Have Desktop with Win7 32 upgrade from Vista (not clean install). Laptop came with Win7 64. Have new Transcend 500GB ext hdd. Immediately recognized on laptop, and readily installed included software pack on it. Connect to Desktop it is recognized, but the software pack on the ext hdd will not function. Problem posted on Hardware forum. One response from MVP suggested that the problem might be from the upgrade without clean install, as those were not always perfect. All other properties of the drive checked out fine, such as drivers, no yellow triangles, etc.

Is it possible that a repair might now solve this problem, or that the upcoming(?) SP1 might take care of such? If so I'd want to clarify the correct procedure for the repair. Did SFC this morning and it found some problems and corrected them, but my problem still persists. Suggestions appreciated.

A:When to try 'Repair' to a Win 7 upgrade from Vista?

My suggestion is that regarless of the near term outcome, always go with a clean install with format. Anything else,is just putting a new face on an old OS, with all of the pre existing conditions. Bite the bullet, back up and do a clean install with format. A pain now that will be rewarded in the future. When others come along and tell you the easy method, heed my words, do a clean install.
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version[2]=General Tips

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/112597-when-try-repair-win-7-upgrade-vista.html
Relevancy 64.07%

My original OS was vista but up-graded to w7 home premium.

Currently I need to affect a repair to the system.

1 How do I use the up-grade disk to do a repair (Real w7 Disk)

2 I dont want to a complete re-install

3 I should change the boot order to cdrom hit F10 and enter

4 What should I do then???????????

I havent used an install disk as a repair before so I dont want to screw up

A:HOW TO REPAIR USING W7 UPGRADE DISK

Hello Birdulike,

What kind of repair? what is the problem you are experiencing?
Also, is this a full Windows 7 installation disk?
Be very helpful if you filled out your system specification in your user cp.

Cheers, John

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/152582-how-repair-using-w7-upgrade-disk.html
Relevancy 64.07%

My windows 7 has suddenly gone corrupt. Keyboard has stopped functioning with error message 'can not start this device because its configuration in registry ......'.
Now I want to know the better choice. Wether to go for ' repair' or ' upgrade option' through installation dvd. Further, how to proceed? Thanks

A:windows 7-repair or upgrade

Might try Fred Langa's "Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall." It's a fast, nondestructive, in-place, total reinstall of Windows 7 that won't damage your user accounts, data, installed programs, or system drivers.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-repair-or-upgrade-909114.html
Relevancy 64.07%

For anyone who is experiencing problems with broken features services that wont start or corruptions on their Windows Repair/Upgrade Windows install I have tried this method of repair that Shawn wrote for Vista and it works great without loosing any programs or settings nbsp nbsp Tip UPDATE - Windows Windows Repair/Upgrade tutorial Repair Install Repair Install For Vista How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista Published by Brink - - How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista Information This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of your personal user account files settings and programs You will be performing a Upgrade Install from within your currently running Vista WARNING ITEMS THAT WILL BE RESET TO DEFAULT Computer Sound Event Scheme - See How to Change a Computer Event Sound in Vista Vista Services - See How to Disable or Enable Vista Services With a Advice Guide Visual Effects Options - See How to Change the Visual Effects Options for Appearance and Performance in Vista Windows Mail - To Save and Restore your messages and settings see the section How to Backup and Reset Windows Mail Device Drivers - Be Windows Repair/Upgrade sure to have these handy to reinstall They do not always remain after the repair upgrade install Repair Install For Vista - Vista Forums

A:Windows Repair/Upgrade

Thanks for the post Mr GRiM

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/3389-windows-repair-upgrade.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I started a Upgrade/Repair of Windows Home Edition on a dell laptop about 4 hours ago...and it has been on the 'Preparing Installation' step (Setup will complete in approximately: 53 minutes) ever since. I occassionally see the hour glass appear like it is doing something...But is it?? '53 minutes' has not changed in 4 hours!!!
Is this common?? Or should I Cancel and start over??
I am doing a repair because something got into the computer and did not allow me to open anything..i.e.: My computer, My documents, Mcafee software would shut down after less than a minute of starting up...etc.

Help please!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrade-repair-hanging.505131/
Relevancy 64.07%

Will a repair install of windows xp repair any registry errors?

A:repair/upgrade install

I would expect so, although i recently performed a repair install and this didn't solve my problems. Worth a shot though before formating and performing a clean install.

Step by step guide - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-upgrade-install.764554/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi there,
After installing SP2 on Win XP Pro my abbility to play music CD has gone. MP3 and webb radio work. With SP1 everything worked perfectly.

Musicmatch hangs totally when playing CD and Mediaplayer continues to respond but after one or two tracks the sounds disappears. When restarting Windows after such a problem I don't hear the normal Windows shutdown "song" but a short "ick"...

Have re-installed Musicmatch a number of times as well as CD-drive and soundcard drevice drivers.

Any idea?

I got the following hw and OS
Quite old Dell XPS T600r with Intel Pentium III, 600MHz and 384MB RAM
CD-ROM-drives:
LG CD-ROM CRD-8480C (as D)
SONY CD-RW CRX140E (as E)
Soundcard Turtle Beach Montego II (with standard Aureal 8830 device drivers since soundcard not supported any longer)

/Swehjo

A:Playing CD stopped working after XP SP2 upgrade

You didn't open your case at all did yoU?

I know lots of cd-roms come with a cable that connects to the sound card for direct audio, but if you didn't open your case or move it significantly this shouldn't be your problem.

Try going into your device manager and seeing if the cd-rom is still installed correctly. Perhaps SP2 messed it up (if so reinstall the driver)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/playing-cd-stopped-working-after-xp-sp2-upgrade-18080.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Message - "HP integrated module with Bluetooth Wireless was removed from your PC because it doesn't work with this version of windows."  Win 10 seems to think the bluetooth is working.  Bluetooth cannot connect with my Bluetooth  mouse or bluetooth headset.  The dongle that came with the headset does not enable the bluetooth to work with the headset on this computer any longer. HP message states they have no plan to update this module.  Is there somewhere else to get an updated module? or some other fix?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Bluetooth-stopped-working-when-upgrade-from-Win-7-to-10/td-p/5682711
Relevancy 63.21%

So, my games (Tf2, L4D, BC2, etc.) lag. It's connection lag I'm sure, not graphical lag.

I upgraded to Linksys E1000 router and use a Linksys WUSB600n adapter.

Now I'm going to start where I think the problem is.. I think my device manager adapter settings are changed.

I turned on Gaming Environment and it helped a little..

But these settings:

Adhoc Support

IEEE802.1

Radio On/Off.

Could someone tell me what they mean and if I should enable/disable them for gaming?

Also another issue is this:

A:Router stopped working after upgrade

try doing a latency test

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-stopped-working-after-upgrade.968775/
Relevancy 63.21%
Relevancy 63.21%

Since upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10 my DTS Sound has stopped working?

A:DTS Sound stopped working after Win 10 upgrade

Check this thread:
https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?83818

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?84746-DTS-Sound-stopped-working-after-Win-10-upgrade
Relevancy 63.21%

Twice I followed your Repair Install to fix Win 7 (published 02/02/2009), and both times, after nearly 2 hours of uneventful processing and restarting, Windows informed me that the upgrade/repair failed. It then restored my previous settings. I ran the repair from a downloaded ISO + SP1 file (placed on a USB drive).

Between the two attempts I did uninstall the few applications that the first attempt flagged as incompatible.

Your instructions are great, and in no way responsible for the failure. But the eventual failure notification gives not the slightest hint as to why. Does Windows maintain a log of the upgrade/repair process that might give me a clue as to why, after spending so much time and effort, the process failed? If yes, where should I look for this log file?
Thanks

A:Windows 7 Pro Upgrade repair failed - is there a log?

Did you turn off everything at startup including your AV as shown in Step 3 of Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7?

Repair Install is limited by the number of possibly corrupt settings it replaces after reinstalling the OS, so you'll likely save time and end up with a much better install if you follow these same steps to get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/299061-windows-7-pro-upgrade-repair-failed-there-log.html
Relevancy 63.21%

My os: xp sp1.
Have to do a repair install.
Do i need to follow these 2 steps:

1- repair install using the original xp cd with sp1.
2- upgrade from sp1 to sp2 using the file WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-PTB.exe

Or
Could i use the slipstreamed (with sp2) cd to do a repair of sp1 ?
This will only repair sp1 keeping the original service pack , or it will repair sp1 and upgrade to sp2 in a single step ?

Thanks.
Luiz.

A:repair sp1 and upgrade to sp2 in a single step

yes should be able to do that, as sp2 has all the updates just make sure you allow a back up of the original file system just in case of a problems

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-sp1-and-upgrade-to-sp2-in-a-single-step.731815/
Relevancy 63.21%

i am still in the install/upgrade phase were it shows u the status of the installation. so i can not get to the desk top because it isnt done installing yet. Says the following in the status window: Setup will complete in approximiately: 33 minutes . Its been this way for about 2 hours, lol, because the part where i have to name the pc and give it an administrative password will not except the passwords I try or no password at all.

I just read a thread were the person was told not to respond to their posts but to post new ones instead. Is that wat i should be doing?

thx

hhb1999

A:Password Problem In Xp Repair/upgrade

It sometimes takes several hours even in a fresh install on a large hard drive.

Is your hard drive running (green light with a red light flashing consistantly)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/49845/password-problem-in-xp-repairupgrade/
Relevancy 63.21%

My os: xp sp1.
Have to do a repair install.
Do i need to follow these 2 steps:

1- repair install using the original xp cd with sp1.
2- upgrade from sp1 to sp2 using the file WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-PTB.exe

Or
Could i use a slipstreamed (with sp2) cd to do a repair of sp1 ?
This will only repair sp1 keeping the original service pack , or it will repair sp1 and upgrade to sp2 in a single step ?

Thanks.
Luiz.

A:Repair Sp1 And Upgrade To Sp2 In A Single Step

Slipstreaming the SP2 with the installation disc with the SP1 included will take care of it nicely.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/158471/repair-sp1-and-upgrade-to-sp2-in-a-single-step/
Relevancy 63.21%

I own a Dell Inspiron laptop with Vista Home Premium bit I m stuck with Startup Repair Error Repair Upgrade Startup - Working Not SP2 while trying SP upgrade and I can't seem to resolve this anyway Failed SP Upgrade I have been regularly running windows update and running patches every now and then I originally had SP pack and I thought that I had upgraded it to SP Yesterday I ran an online diagnostic and it appeared that I was still stuck with SP So I decided to install SP Unfortunately the automatic update was showing some error messages Startup Repair Not Working - SP2 Upgrade so I decided to do manual update following the instruction from microsoft support website I managed to download the SP patch and started running it It ran of the steps and then automatically rebooted which I understand was part of the installation process Startup Repair Error Unfortunately that s when my trouble began I was stuck with a grey screen with Startup Repair screen with the following details Problem Event Name StartupRepairV Problem Signature AutoFailover Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature CorruptFile Problem Signature CorruptFile Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature WrpRepair Problem Signature OS Version Locale ID Each time the startup repair restarts it gets stuck at this point Below are the Startup Repair Diagnosis and repair details Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log ----------------------------------------------------- Last sucessful boot time AM GMT Number of repair attempts Session details -------------------------------------- System Disk Device Harddisk Windows directory C Windows AutoChk Run Number of root causes Test Performed --------------------------------- Name Check for updates Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed ----------------------------------- Name System disk test Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed -------------------------------------- Name Disk metadata test Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed -------------------------------------- Name Target OS test Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed -------------------------------------- Name Volume content check Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed -------------------------------------- Name Boot manager diagnosis Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed -------------------------------------- Name System boot log diagnosis Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed -------------------------------------- Name Event log diagnosis Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed -------------------------------------- Name Internal state check Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Root cause found ------------------------------ Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem -------------------------------- If I click on quot Advanced Options for System Recovery and Support quot I am led to another screen which gives the following menu of System Recovery Options Startup Repair System Restore Windows Complete PC Restore Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool Command Prompt Dell Factory Image Restore Startup Repair of course leads me nowhere System Restore doesn t work since no restore points have been created on your computer s system disk Windows Complete PC Restore doesn t help I get the following message A valid backup location could not be found Windows cannot find a backup on this computer Attach the backup hard disk and insert the final DVD from the backup set and check Retry I left it at this and did not venture any further down this route I am able to run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool It seems to run steps without detecting any problem However at the end of the process it restarts the computer automatically... Read more

A:Startup Repair Not Working - SP2 Upgrade

I have Just skimmed Read your Post and I am About to give you some tips for the Reinstall if you are going to follow that path and Recovering your Data

Ok First i would like you to Make a recovery Disk and a Ubuntu Live cd

See Download | Ubuntu For more Information

and see Create a Recovery Disc For more Information

Once you have done that Boot into a Recovery Disk and enter your Details then Click Repair my Computer in the bottom Left hand corner

and run a Startup repair if that doesn't work post back

To retrieve your data before you format boot into the Ubuntu live CD and Try ubuntu without Installing then find your HDD with your Data on it and Trnasfer it accross to an External HDD

Hope This Helps,
Josh

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282302-startup-repair-not-working-sp2-upgrade.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I've been bugging MS to help me with a problem doing a clean Reinstall of Office Home -bit on my Win Pro -bit PC Each Reinstall of O creates Warning messages in Event Viewer that certain registry keys repair inplace ??? non-destructive upgrade Win 7 as are protected and cannot be modified by Office Click-to-Run O actually works fine so far - I just don't like those Warning messages and want to Reinstall without them The MS O help line tech level person accessed my PC and showed me how Win 7 inplace upgrade as non-destructive repair ??? my further Event Viewer error messages show errors with ntdll dll and kernelbase dll He Win 7 inplace upgrade as non-destructive repair ??? says the only way we can fix the problem with Reinstall of Office Home -bit is to repair those dll's in my Win Pro -bit OS and the only way to do that in a non-destructive fashion is to do an quot inplace upgrade quot of my Win Win 7 inplace upgrade as non-destructive repair ??? off the iso image of Win Pro -bit What do you think First please see the very interesting article about non-destructive repair using inplace upgrade at http mcs-notes open ac uk tbtknowl nsf e f c c a dc f d d e OpenDocument Second following the instructions of the MS tech I am downloading an iso of Win Pro -bit from http Windows Eng Do you like that source The iso I am downloading is called en windows professional with sp x dvd u iso I see that the file's date is August of last year so that means I'll have to do a lot of Windows Updates afterwards and carefully so as to avoid the updates that install the Win quot spy quot features Do you think there are better iso sources for the install maybe already updated Third he also showed me the normal MS Windows iso download page https www microsoft com en-in software-download windows but when I inserted my perfectly good Key for my Win at the bottom of that page it did NOT verify He said that MS's verification server is down and has been down for some days Really I know my key is good because I used it for a re-install of the OS almost two years ago on this PC Fourth my PC is actually dual-boot Win Pro SP -bit and Win Pro -bit FYI - I have separate keys licenses for each - the is NOT an upgrade of the Do you think the non-destructive repair of Win using inplace upgrade will wipe out the I think I'm OK because I did a destructive repair about years ago and that did not wipe out the other OS which was then since changed to But is there anything special I should do to preserve the Fifth - reminder that my core problem isn't with the OS which seems to be fine It's only that I am getting Warning messages about non-modifiable registry keys whenever I reinstall my O Home -bit Hey what do you think Easy huh Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/400813-win-7-inplace-upgrade-non-destructive-repair.html
Relevancy 63.21%

A week ago I made the awful mistake of unchecking the quot Read Only quot tab of my Windows XP System folder I was trying to install an old app called Total Recorder version that XP detecting XP repair for - Upgrade CD not Please help Home I had used with Windows ME but it was getting an error I did a quick Google search on the problem and someone suggested something about making System not quot Read Only quot for it to work but it still wouldn t install Later on while not having rebooted I installed Nero from CD This Please help - XP Home Upgrade CD not detecting XP for repair went fine and I said yes to the normal part about resetting before changes could take effect When I rebooted however I was Please help - XP Home Upgrade CD not detecting XP for repair denied access to Windows XP It wouldn t get past the login menu and neither my account nor Administrator worked I put in my XP CD which is an Upgrade disc for the Home Edition Please help - XP Home Upgrade CD not detecting XP for repair I rebooted and the CD loaded in Windows interface but I got errors when trying to repair I rebooted and used the CD in DOS I tried to do a Repair Installation which seemed to go OK but upon completion I had to reboot and setup presumably attempted to resume in Windows However I got an error for that too Every time I rebooted it would get to Windows where it said minutes were remaining but stop with a fatal error after just a few minutes I don t know if it was before or after I used a Windows SE boot disk downloaded from bootdisk com but eventually I was unable to make it to Windows even in Safe Mode or trying Last Known Good Configuration Using the XP Setup CD in DOS I accessed the Recovery Console and can see that my files are all there and bootcfg lists my correct OS I copied ntdetect com and ntldr from the Windows CD s I folder to C but the problem persisted I copied a new boot ini that I m fairly sure is an exact replica of the one I used successfully with XP from early August until last Wednesday and that didn t change anything nor did using fdisk chkdsk p or r or bootcfg rebuild When I load the computer without a boot disk or the Setup CD it still has the XP splash screen and the green status bar moves but it then gets to a light blue page that reads in white text that configuration of the system for restarting was unsuccessful and quot Setup may not restart or may operate erratically quot This is on screen for about seconds before it goes all black with a white Windows cursor I can t ctrl alt del from this point and nothing can be done except moving the mouse When I try to use the regular repair option not the Recovery Console I can t because the Setup CD no longer detects my installation of XP It asks for a full version of XP or I think any x version of Windows to be placed in the drive I guess to prove I m an owner before proceeding However I ve only ever had Windows and ME on recovery discs made by the manufacturers of the computers I ve purchased XP Home Edition Upgrade was the first retail OS I purchased If I could find a CD other than Upgrade to put in the drive what kind of options would be presented and could they solve my problem My main concern is not losing files I hadn t backed up pictures music documents in the weeks I used XP after reformatting my hard drive pre-installation My last resort is to go home four hours round trip and retrieve my old Windows ME discs to reinstall in order for XP Setup to continue This would be time consuming as well as a waste of valuable hard drive space a big mess and a major risk of data loss as I m not at all sure if I could use the manufacturer discs to install ME on top of what I have already or if it would perform a complete reformat I was running Norton with current virus definitions so I am positive that the problem was not caused by a virus or trojan but by my own error that I really should have known better than to make My hard drive is NTFS except for a GB partition which is FAT T... Read more

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi Guys having a few problems with my Rig at the moment and have tried SFC/scannow but that has not fixed the problem.

I want top do an in place upgrade repair as to the tutorial as I really do not want to Format and to a fresh install. I have tried the upgrade but is won't let me, see screen shots.

If I uninstall the items I have highlighted in yellow will the upgrade then work?

Also am I starting with a fresh canvas on my desktop? Gonna be a bitch putting all those short cuts back on again.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

A:Advice Please on in place Upgrade/Repair

You don't have to uninstall them. It said it may not work. Do the repair and, if it doesn't work, then uninstall and reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/106770-advice-please-place-upgrade-repair.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I am hoping to upgrade from Vista Home Premium (SP2) to Windows 7 Ultimate. Before I do, I'd like to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor program. However, as soon as I click "Start check", up pops the message "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor has stopped working...A problem caused the program to stop working correctly". I've tried re-installing the Upgrade Advisor. I've tried disabling my anti-virus software (Microsoft Security Essentials). No joy. I've spoken to Microsoft, who told me that, as my existing operating system came bundled with my Dell Studio 1537, I should speak to Dell. I've spoken to Dell, who told me that it was a Microsoft software issue and I should speak to them...or I could pay Dell ?60 to look into it, which I'd obviously rather avoid if I can. Any suggestions gratefully received.

A:Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor has stopped working

I can tell you that if you can run Vista Premium you can do 7.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-upgrade-advisor-has-stopped-working-553464.html
Relevancy 62.78%

hii friends
i have upgraded my windows 7 basice into ultimate,and ever since the day i hav doen it, i am unable
to pair any bluetooh device with imy laptop.eventhogh the bluetooth deivce is powerd on and working perfectly ,it says "please turn on your device and search agin"..i tried every thing like uninstalling and reinstalling,but still problem exists.
i am tired of doing every possible trick with it but still the problem is same. could somebody help??

A:Bluetooth stopped working after anytime upgrade

Did you go to services (from search) and make sure bluetooth is set to automatic?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/68020-bluetooth-stopped-working-after-anytime-upgrade.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello Everyone Windows HP Working 10 CoolSense Stopped Upgrade After From I recently upgraded my laptop to the current RTM build version of the new Windows Operating System OS However upon the final reboot into the new version of Windows I noticed much more fan noise than usual from my system I was able to perform an in place upgrade so I kept most all of my applications from my previous version of Windows Windows HP CoolSense Stopped From Working After Windows 10 Upgrade The only thing I was informed of being unable to keep prior to upgrading was the Windows Media Center which was uninstalled during the upgrade process Now when I try to enable the HP HP CoolSense Stopped From Working After Windows 10 Upgrade CoolSense system fan control app I get the following error message I won't even bother trying to bother HP support with this as they didn't even want to support my model laptop beyond it's original OS installation of Windows which I have successively migrated up from to both Windows and since I have a inch screen HP DV t - Entertainment HP CoolSense Stopped From Working After Windows 10 Upgrade laptop w AMD Intel switchable graphics The HP CoolSense is pretty much a necessity for when maintaining and optimal operating temperature while using either the dedicated AMD or integrated Intel graphics Otherwise This upgrade was all for nothing I cannot sit here listening to my laptop burn up just to run Windows when everything worked fine under the other previous three Windows OS platforms Does anyone know of any compatible system fan software that might work to replace the HP Cool Sense Software which Windows has blocked from running for some reason

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/68729-hp-coolsense-stopped-working-after-windows-10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello, I have a ProBook 4720s, and after I upgraded to Windows 10, my bluetooth stopped working. I have checked in Device Manager, and there are no bluetooth devices anymore. There aren't any unknown devices either.

A:Bluetooth stopped working after Windows 10 upgrade

Hi: If you had the HP Wireless Assistant or Connection Manager software installed, most likely the bluetooth was turned off at the time you upgraded, and now you can't turn it back on unless you revert to Windows 7, turn the bluetooth on, uninstall the HP wireless assistant or connection manager software, restart the PC, verify the BT is on and then upgrade back to W10. I do not believe the wireless assistant or connection manager software will install on W10, but I guess you can try that first.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Bluetooth-stopped-working-after-Windows-10-upgrade/td-p/5660239
Relevancy 62.78%

I have Lenovo Z70-80 laptop which had BIOS version ABCN32WW. I've decided to upgrade BIOS to the latest version (ABCN96WW) and the upgrade procedure went without problems. However, as soon as the restarted I've noticed it doesn't output anything on my external monitor connected via HDMI until it boots to Windows after which I get the picture on the monitor. I've tried to downgrade BIOS version to the oldest available version (ABCN73WW) but I still don't get HDMI output. At this point I'd just like to downgrade to the original BIOS version ABCN32WW but I can't find any downloadable file to do so and currently I'm stuck with no HDMI output until laptop gets booted to Windows which is really frustrating. Any help or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/HDMI-stopped-working-after-BIOS-upgrade/td-p/3352744
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi, I have a Sony SVE1711X1EB. I upgraded to windows 8 pro and now my blu ray drive doesn't work. The model is Matshita BD CMB UJ160. In device manager there is an error message "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
I have tried driver update but it is up to date so I am at a loss. Not technically gifted so wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for a solution. Any ideas for a novice?

Relevancy 62.78%

It worked fine with IE 10, but no longer now, even after uninstalling IE 11. It does nothing when clicked.

A google search showed how to enable/disable it, but not what to do when it stops working, (yes, it IS still checked in Internet Options). Don't know why anyone would want to disable it. I use it all the time.

I tried doing a full IE reset, wiping out all my settings, but to no avail. Reinstalled IE 11 with the same results.

I did see something a few days ago about correcting it somewhere in the registry, changing DWORD 0 to 1, or maybe the reverse, but now I can't find the post. Guess I should have bookmarked it.

Thanks in advance for any help. You guys seem to be the REAL Windows experts.

A:Accelerator button stopped working after upgrade to IE 11.

Quote: Originally Posted by St8kout

It worked fine with IE 10, but no longer now, even after uninstalling IE 11. It does nothing when clicked.

A google search showed how to enable/disable it, but not what to do when it stops working, (yes, it IS still checked in Internet Options). Don't know why anyone would want to disable it. I use it all the time.

I tried doing a full IE reset, wiping out all my settings, but to no avail. Reinstalled IE 11 with the same results.

I did see something a few days ago about correcting it somewhere in the registry, changing DWORD 0 to 1, or maybe the reverse, but now I can't find the post. Guess I should have bookmarked it.

Thanks in advance for any help. You guys seem to be the REAL Windows experts.

Well; the biggest problem with ie 11 is that it has plenty of bugs in it; and with that being said; I would go to the windows update page and click on installed updates and uninstall ie 11 which should hopefully make it revery back to ie 10. There are too many bugs to mention with ie 11 because ie 11 was really designed for windows 8 and 8.1 but not windows 7. I had similar issues when my system updated automatically to ie 11. I then uninstalled ie 11 and reverted back to 10 and everything seems fine now; so chances are its ie 11 thats the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/315554-accelerator-button-stopped-working-after-upgrade-ie-11-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with built-in Bluetooth.
My Bluetooth always worked fine, untill I did a Vista upgrade.
After fixing the usual problems that people expirience after the upgrade (sound stops working, issues with automatic downloads, etc.) I now realize that I can not get my Bluetooth to work.

It is still built-in to my computer.
Yet, I don't have the icon in my system tray to activate, nor does it show up in Control panel.
When I right-click a file to "send to", there is an option "Bluetooth File Transfer Wizard" instead of the regular Bluetooth icon.
When I click "Bluetooth File Transfer Wizard", I get a message "fsquirt.exe can not be found".

How can I get my Bluetooth working again?

Thanks alot!

A:After Vista upgrade, Bluetooth stopped working

That appears to be a standard problem when you upgrade and is very hard to fix, the easiest way is to use your upgrade disk to do a clean install. But go to your Dell site first and download all your Vista motherboard drivers

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/168196-after-vista-upgrade-bluetooth-stopped-working.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I recently upgraded my to Windows stopped 10 PC after fro... upgrade working CoolSense system to windows nbsp Prior to my upgrade I had and used CoolSense with no problems nbsp However since my upgrade it has stopped working nbsp I tried to install it through the settings option on my PC however it would not install nbsp Instead it gave me a message saying There is a problem with the Windows Installer package nbsp A program run CoolSense stopped working after PC upgrade to Windows 10 fro... as part of the setup did not finish as expected nbsp Contact your support personnel or package vendor nbsp nbsp So as suggested with other software that had problems installing I uninstalled to try to reinstall nbsp However it disappeared nbsp There was no sign of CoolSense left on my PC nbsp So I went to your site where I was told to install CoolSense nbsp I did as instructed and still received the same message as above nbsp I also read that CoolSense works better on windows is that true nbsp nbsp In any case I need CoolSense stopped working after PC upgrade to Windows 10 fro... CoolSensen reinstalled on my computer nbsp It has been running hot and has shut off on me a few times nbsp Please help nbsp Thank You nbsp Nita

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/CoolSense-stopped-working-after-PC-upgrade-to-Windows-10/td-p/5642677
Relevancy 62.78%

My computer has been running the Upgrade version of Windows 7 (from Vista) for two or three years. I want to perform a repair install, but wonder whether it would be possible from a new, current Windows 7 disk.

I have kept up with the updates. Can anyone offer advice?

Harry

A:How to repair install on Upgrade Version of Windows 7

Quote:
it would be possible from a new, current Windows 7 disk.

If you mean from Windows 7 HP with sp1, Yes.

Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/189572-how-repair-install-upgrade-version-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi All Having a problem the one of our PCs is caught in an infinite boot loop so can't get into windows to try and run the upgrade from inside Windows When I try Windows install repair 7 an Can't Upgrade perform to actually do the repair install using the disk just get the following message The computer started using the windows installation Can't perform an Windows 7 Upgrade repair install media Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally Then insert the installation media and restart the upgrade Do not select Custom advanced to perform an Can't perform an Windows 7 Upgrade repair install upgrade I've spent the best part of hours trying to resolve this So far I've tried scanning using sfc scannow offbootdir DRIVELETTER offwindir DRIVELETTER windows I've checked Can't perform an Windows 7 Upgrade repair install and rebuilt the boot record in case that might have been the issue I'm trying to avoid a clean install which would have cured everything in about mins but we've a programme on there which we have to keep or else we face a really expensive bill for the software to be reinstalled by it's developers The last back up I have doesn't have the latest updates to the software either Is this fatal or is there a way round it I apologise if this doesn't make much sense either sorry

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623889/cant-perform-an-windows-7-upgrade-repair-install/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello everyone Conduit trashed some files for me IE bit will not even open Other addins attachments to IE don't work with bit Problems with Flash Grrrrrr Downloaded ISO from the Digital River site and IsotoUSB exe file from CNET Download com that had a PUP file imbedded - got a good file from the author location Burnt a cd Using instructions from http Windowssecrets com top-story win s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall I began the process All went good took a very long time I did this to an XP computer last summer and it repair 7 upgrade Home 64bit Win problems took less than an hour Win 7 Home 64bit repair upgrade problems at least hours for Win First gatcha a HP Keyboard QLB incompatability with the new install Just deleted the Win 7 Home 64bit repair upgrade problems HP program Each time something happens you have to start over continued on At what I thought would be the very last install screen fig of the linked article quot Transfering files etc quot the install stopped with a message something like quot Setup cannot continue and must restart the computer and restore the other OS quot or something like that No error code numbers and only an quot OK quot and the re quot x quot What a amp amp All that time and nothing to show And it took a long time to restore the other Win Reread the instructions Searched the web found nothing mmmm Disabled my virus software MS SE and MalWareBytes Tried again Now when the install gets to a certain place get the message that it must do a restart when it does it goes to the quot Install Now quot page not to a continue page More grrrrrr Delete all the Temp folders contents Trying again Seems to be running ok now Like it did before FYI note after the first failure I tried the USB that I had copied the ISO to It stopped at the recursive quot Install Now quot page So I went back to the disc The USB might work or I might have set something wrong or the temp folders contents might have caused that any comments on using a USB to upgrade This is installing as I type if it stops again at the quot must stop quot message near the end any ideas what would cause it I am only doing this to fix what Conduit ruined any suggestions that don't involve a reformat thanks Fuzzy

A:Win 7 Home 64bit repair upgrade problems

What IE version do you have?
Firefox has same issue? Chrome?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/329463-win-7-home-64bit-repair-upgrade-problems.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I am just wondering if anyone might happen to know as to what motherboards and processors are similar to the Intel D GSA that I can Desktop Repair/Upgrade Needing Advice get relatively cheaply I m just wondering because I have a desktop that has an Intel D GSA motherboard in it that blew out on me along with the processor and I m looking for something that equals or exceeds it for a relatively cheap price What I Needing Desktop Repair/Upgrade Advice m trying to do is reuse the DDR memory on a new board and processor so that I can get my desktop back up and running because I need to access a drive that has windows XP on it Ideally the system will be able to support Windows Vista and will support at least GB of memory and ideally it will have at least SATA ports on it and ports for things like CD DVD drives as well as a floppy I m not really sure as to what is out there right now but I m looking and I m trying to do this as cheaply as I can I can always upgrade later after the desktop gets up and running I m looking at this issue because there is a possibility that I may lose my notebook computer soon because of some hardware problems with it and I don t want to be without a computer at all I also need it because of a legal issue that I am currently dealing with and I m hoping that the files that I ll need are still on the desktop hard drive that will help to prove my case against a very large company that is currently interfering with my ideas of selling online via eBay If anyone has any ideas regarding this then please let me know so that I know what to look at in terms of hardware The hard drive currently has XP on it but I would eventually like to upgrade that to Vista because my notebook currently runs Vista and it would be nice if the two computers could talk to each other and actually understand each other nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I need to repair my computer because it hangs and does not boot up. I've tried almost everything. I don't have a repair CD from my vendor, so I have to buy windows XP. I don't want to spend the amount of money on the full version if I don't have to, though. So does the upgrade version, which is half the price, have the repair option? Thank you!

A:Does the Windows XP UPGRADE version have the repair option?

Yes it does . . but you would probably be better off buying an OEM version that matches the version on your pc

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/does-the-windows-xp-upgrade-version-have-the-repair-option-163795.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi!
I suppose the title is pretty strait forward...
I need to repair windows because no matter what my computer keeps restarting. Even when I go into safe mode and Last known good configuration.
But when I go to repair windows, it goes past the agreement then says:
"Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD."

Its says Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition on the CD and says Upgrade on the top... So am I able to use this CD to repair windows???

Thanks for any help!

A:Repair using a Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade CD

Normally yes

Please clean the disc, and possible clean the drive, using a cd cleaner disc

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/repair-using-a-windows-xp-home-edition-upgrade-cd.101606/
Relevancy 62.78%

I installed a new motherboard, CPU & memory today. Prior to this, I decided not to do a clean install of windows, but just to boot up & repair if needed when the new configuration booted up. I DID do a backup of data before dismantling the old system, so I have that saved.

However, when I started the new system, the repair will not work. I can't get Windows to see the external drive where the backup data is stored.

I'm now re-installing Windows over the top of the old installation using the custom option, & my main question is this: Can I restore using the backup I made before the upgrade or will I lose all that data? When using the custom installation option, does it automatically save the old data?

A:Unable to repair Windows 7 after hardware upgrade

The correct way to start Win7 when changing major hardware is to SysPrep the HD: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

Your backup should work after reinstall. Enter Backup and Restore Center if you used Win built-in file backup. Backup User and System Files

If you have an image backup you can use it now from the booted DVD or REpair CD to reimage rather than reinstall Win7. System Image Recovery

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/155786-unable-repair-windows-7-after-hardware-upgrade.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I recently upgraded a work laptop to Win 7 Enterprise for Direct Access. I changed the two registry keys from "Professional" to "Enterprise", ran an upgrade from my new Win7 Ent SP1 disk with no problems. All my installed programs and
printers worked fine. I had to do lots of updates after the upgrade and everthing worked except the upgrade of IE 9 to 10 and 11. The offline installer of IE 10 fails too. I find no references to this problem in posts regarding the repair upgrade of Win 7
Pro to Ent. Please help!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/947aa320-9c78-4eb5-a20d-6f4d0c448629/ie-9-wont-update-after-windows-7-pro-to-enterprise-repair-upgrade?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 62.78%

Folks,

I've decided to try a repair. It'll be an in-place repair, using this tutorial: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

The first step is to ensure my current build/version matches up with the ISO/USB build/version I'll be using. There's even a link about how to check. I have "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.494)".

So...it seems I have:

Version = 1511
Build = 10586.494

Good enough.

Using the embedded tutorial link to download an ISO, I went to the linked MS Tech Bench site, selected "Windows 10" (not the N or the KN versions), "English", and 64 bit... I started the download.

The download shows "Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso" as the file. How do I check to see if this ISO matches my Build???

Thanks,

Ken

A:Repair via In-Place Upgrade: getting the right Version and Build ISO?

Originally Posted by iamc3k

The download shows "Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso" as the file. How do I check to see if this ISO matches my Build???

Thanks,

Ken

Easiest way is to mount the ISO file and run setup.exe in the virtual DVD that appears. If it goes straight into the upgrade choices screen then you have the correct ISO. If it asks you for a product key at any time, then you probably don't have the correct ISO and cancel the install by closing that window.

The ISO files provided by Microsoft do not include the most current cumulative updates. The in-place repair install will roll you back to a previous 10586.xxx build. Windows Update will then pull the cumulative update to bring it back to 10586.494.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/56796-repair-via-place-upgrade-getting-right-version-build-iso.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I recently had to have Microsoft repair/upgrade my version of windows 7 as it had become compromised. I have retrieved almost everything needed but was wondering if there were any better wifi drivers out there for my model pc. 

A:wireless drivers after windows 7 upgrade/repair

Hi,You can use the driver's listed below, since there are multiple options please select the wireless card driver relevant to your pc and install it.1> Atheros Wireless LAN Driver : sp56252.exe 2> Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver: sp57965.exe 3> Intel Wireless Drivers : sp57976.exe 4> Intel Wireless Drivers, Intel PROSet, and Intel My WiFi :  sp58641.exe 5> Ralink 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter: sp57538.exe I believe you would also need  blueooth driver, you can find all the drivers lited under " NETWORK " dropdown list by going to this link :      "      http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv7-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/527...    " RegardsSATISHP4 Click " Thumb's up " icon if the question is answered/resolved.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/wireless-drivers-after-windows-7-upgrade-repair/td-p/5685974
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi ,

I want to do a repair install of windows 10 ( new 1607) with an in-place upgrade using DVD media ( .iso 1607 , engl/us ,all the same ) because of corrupted files although windows operation so far is good .
sfc /scannow ,
command prompt > DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth ,
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess , using the DVD media
couldn't repair .
In my present installation I don't use password to sign-in , so the welcome screen simply shows my photo and enters desktop normally.
The question is , should the new installation accept this or ask me to enter a password in welcome screen ?

Thanks in advance

A:Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Hello babis49,

Your sign in settings should remain the same after doing a repair install.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

If it doesn't for some reason, you can always set Windows to automatically sign in to your account at startup again.

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/70077-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,

I have upgraded my processor and motherboard.
But my Windows 7 is nolonger working:
Windows crash+restart itself during the windows 7 logo loading-screen.
Rebooting to safe mode also is not working. Safe mode does not load and it restarts my pc.

Just afterwards I found out about a utility called Sysprep.

Is there a possibility to use this tool to fix my broken windows installation ? If yes tell me how please. If no, please give me other options.

Very much thanks !

A:How to repair my Windows 7 installation after mobo upgrade

You would need to run the SysPrep on the original hardware in order for it to work to SysPrep to move HD to another computer.

The best choice at this point is to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 which steps are the same for retail as it must be to reactivate Win7 on a new mobo - OEM version lives and dies with the old mobo.

If you want to prepare the old Win7 to boot on the new hardware without having the old hardware you can install to a test partition you shrink using Partition Wizard boot CD, then immediately install Paragon Virtualization Manager (formerly Paragon Adaptive Restore) CD, run it on the old Win7 partition pointing it to the chipset (Sata controller) and LAN drivers and the test install's Windows>System 32>Drivers folder. Once it's adapted, mark the old partition Active and run Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times to start it, delete the test partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/268140-how-repair-my-windows-7-installation-after-mobo-upgrade.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Ok my friends Gateway laptop had some issues all due to poor maintenence and installation of ever piece of junkware and toolbars known to man It kept getting blue screens right after getting fully booted and I found and solved that issue he had never done one single update no service packs NOTHING It ran better after doing a few initial updates but then windows update failed to apply the SP update so I manually downloaded it and installed it password asking repair non for install Upgrade existent It runs better but till not up to par and I was trying to avoid a total wipe and fresh install so I was doing an upgrade repair and it keeps getting to a point where it asks for a user name and password he has never set a password on this machine by the way There is no way to get past this screen because any name entered or not entered gives a error message about not being to contact a domain or something to that effect Any ideas on how to get past Upgrade repair install asking for non existent password this If not how to I go about abondoning the upgrade install because when it boots it does ask which OS to boot the existing install or continue the upgrade I basically want to remove the new install from this boot menu and maybe talk him into a total wipe

A:Upgrade repair install asking for non existent password

You would already be signed into Win7 to run the installer from desktop to do a Repair Install
and it would not ask you to sign in again.

Are you referring instead to doing Startup Repair from boot which will prompt for password if run from F8 options or System Repair Disk. You can leave it blank to get past it, Or run it from the booted installer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/261340-upgrade-repair-install-asking-non-existent-password.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I'm running an Anytime Upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Pro on a Dell XPS16. The installation has corrupted files that I have been unable to fix through the SFC utility or other means. I'm thinking my most desirable option would be to use the Home Premium installation CD that came with the laptop to do an "Upgrade" (repair) installation. However, my understanding is that because I upgraded from Home Premium to Pro, my only option, at this point, is to do a Custom installation, which will wipe out my applications and settings. Is that the case? Any advice would be much appreciated.

A:How to repair Windows after Home Premium to Pro upgrade

Thought windows anytime upgrade died a while ago, what exactly do you need advice on ?

Have you ever done a clean install ?

Clean Install Windows 7

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Did the corrupt files start after the upgrade ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372537-how-repair-windows-after-home-premium-pro-upgrade.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My son recently bought himself Skyrim for his HP Probook4525a laptop (which he also bought himself, so it's not top of the line). He said that it doesn't play well, glitches or freezes. He has tried reinstalling it a couple of times.

I see that it requires 2gb ram, but his laptop shows 1.8gb. So I assumed that means I should add ram. My brother told me he needs a new hard drive or video card. How the heck do you know what to add or change?

I tried scanning at crucial.com but after I open the download nothing happens. No results, nothing.

A:How do I know what to upgrade/repair on laptop for game to function well?

using the laptop in question go here; http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
select Skyrim from the games menu and run a test. It will point out the areas that fall short. (with the java problems of late, you may want to download and install the test scanner if you have Java disabled)

also, the 1.8 gigs shown does mean 2 gigs. just the way computers read the bits and stuff. Also might not be showing the chunk of Ram it took for video memory. (All depends on what is in the system specs.)
More ram would help, but for heavy 3D games usually a graphics card is the best option.

Think TSG has a system analyzer, might want to run that on the laptop so we can see what is in it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-know-what-to-upgrade-repair-on-laptop-for-game-to-function-well.1086980/
Relevancy 61.92%

Post upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro on a Dell XPS15, 'only' 1 of the 3 USB ports has stopped working. The other 2 are working fine. I have the latest BIOS A16.

I've uninstalled all USB drivers and had them auto-resintall on boot. No change, 1 USB port (the one with powershare) is still not working.

I'm not getting much on the Dell forums for this. Any ideas how to fix.

A:1 of 3 USB Ports Stopped Working Post Windows 8.1 Upgrade

Did you check the power options? USB Selective suspend could be the problem

Windows Key + X > Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Settings > USB settings > toggle the 'USB Selective suspend' setting to enabled if it is disabled, or disabled if it is enabled. Apply and reboot. If it doesn't work upon reboot, toggle it one more time and reboot again.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/49981-1-3-usb-ports-stopped-working-post-windows-8-1-upgrade.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Touch screen stopped after updating to Windows 10 And I could not get TouchSmart to work again. Can someone help because it looks like HP have just not botherd to update drivers or systems The Laptopis an    ENVY 15" TouchSmart 16gb Ram 4TH Gen i7

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Touch-screen-stopped-working-after-windows-10-upgrade/td-p/5660236
Relevancy 61.92%

So I flashed the bios shut my from flash computer stopped and Upgrade posting bios computer down replaced the cpu and added a new hard drive today When I tried to start it it did not work it just showed a black screen It didn t even post so I got worried and tried putting the old cpu back in and disconnecting the new hard drive and it still did not work After a bit of time I figured it must be the bios because i never tried starting it after I flashed the bios i just went straight to putting the new components in I even tried another monitor to make sure that hadn t failed Upgrade and bios flash stopped computer from posting for some reason After a few hours i tried starting it again and it went to an odd screen which I think is the post screen but it skipped the one with the gigabyte s series logo It said some things about looking at IDE devices but couldn t do anything but it did let me go into the bios and Upgrade and bios flash stopped computer from posting look around I couldn t see anything wrong but I set it to optimized defaults anyway and it started normally but when I tried restarting the optical drive just kept making noises like it was looking for something and I even tried opening it and putting the windows disk in but it just kept skipping over that So I waited a while and checked it periodically but nothing happened until now when it just started again and yet again it skipped the normal gigabyte S series logo thing but it started fine I still have the new hard drive disconnected the different monitor connected and the old back in place If I remember correctly can t you take that watch battery out and put a penny in its place then wait a few minutes I have noticed that for some reason there is a windows update and I can t seem to stop it so I will flash the bios with the latest atbios utility and leave it on hoping that the windows update does not restart it or at least that if it does it will boot fine I have another computer I can use to check this thread if anything does happen All my system specs should be on my profile and my upgrade was to a phenom x with a western digital gb black mb cache which I only added and did not use to replace the older ones My motherbaord is a gigabyte m sli s rev I know this is horribly written but I just wanted to get it posted as fast as I could in case something happened nbsp

A:Upgrade and bios flash stopped computer from posting

I'm sorry if this is considered a double post, and sorry for making the first post so awful I know a lot of people seem to hate that.
So I took out the cmos battery then after a few tries I got it started and reverted from the FHk bios to FHe and it started just fine except it did say post error and then had the option to set it to default, so I'm guessing it was just the bios flash not the hardware.

I need to try to restart it again and see what happens but if it works then I have a new problem, Gigabytes site says I need the FHk bios to use the 720 but now I am afraid that the FHk bios wont work for some reason. What should I do? Should update the bios to the new version and hope it works or is it some kind of Gigabyte conspiracy to make me get a new motherboard?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-and-bios-flash-stopped-computer-from-posting.136196/
Relevancy 61.92%

HP 500-310t.Windows 10, 64bit6G RAMSystem BIOS 80.20AMD Radeon R5 235AverMedia H8370 USB Hybrid ATSC/QAM Tuner The Tuner worked until I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I have uninstalled everything and reinstalled the latest drivers from HP, Microsoft, and Avermedia and all I get is the message:  ?Can?t find AVermedia Tuner Cards? on the main screen. Is there a fix? If not, is there any other TV tuner that will work with this computer set-up? Wy2Old

A:Avermedia tuner stopped working after upgrade to Windows 10

I think the driver is missing. Please install the driver and the issue might get resolved. Here is the link to driver and software for the tuner supporting Windows 10:https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/avermedia/web_release_www/H837/H837_MCS.1.7.9.91.15030401_Drv_10.... Here is the driver only link:https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/avermedia/web_release_www/H837/H837_Driver_10.2.x.103_150828.zip

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Avermedia-tuner-stopped-working-after-upgrade-to-Windows-10/td-p/5773763
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello I recently did a repair on my OS After this windows folders such as Program files and Users were moved to windows old Now I'm experiencing a lot of issues For example when trying to customize the Ribbon in Excel by adding Developer to start using VBA I get the following message quot custom after files or path and Restoring (repair) upgrade The server drafts location you entered for offline editing is not valid or you do not have permission to access that location Please specify a location on your local computer quot And when I try to change the folder path in Options- gt Save the path does not get remembered and I can't customize my ribbon I have tried basically all advice I've come across through Google with no luck Restoring files and or path after custom upgrade (repair) I'm thinking Restoring files and or path after custom upgrade (repair) about re-installing windows if I can't solve this Questions Can the paths that window uses have been messed up after the Restoring files and or path after custom upgrade (repair) repair If so is there an easy fix Can I in a simple way restore or use the files stored in windows old

A:Restoring files and or path after custom upgrade (repair)

I would try a repair install on Excel. If you got a windows.old you have a new windows so some software may need to be reinstalled? Its worth a try.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/65283-restoring-files-path-after-custom-upgrade-repair.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello Once in awhile I check my system files using SFC I just checked it but found problems and wasn't able to fix them So I ran the DISM command but then upgrade to Windows10 Unable repair using SFC/DISM in-place or again couldn't fix it Code DISM Online Unable to repair Windows10 using SFC/DISM or in-place upgrade Cleanup-Image restorehealth The DISM command gave me this message quot Error x f f The source Unable to repair Windows10 using SFC/DISM or in-place upgrade files could not be found Use the quot Source quot option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature For more information on specifying a source location see Configure a Windows Repair Source So I downloaded an ISO with the same version and build as my current OS windows pro x - build to use the option quot Source quot by mounting the ISO But same error as mentioned above showed up So my last idea was to do a in-place upgrade and I did by following this tutorial of yours it all went smoothly but after the in-place upgrade finished it seems nothing had change since the SFC found problems Im out of ideas here Attached CBS and DISM logs

A:Unable to repair Windows10 using SFC/DISM or in-place upgrade

Any chance you have a NVIDIA Graphics card ?

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/35909-unable-repair-windows10-using-sfc-dism-place-upgrade.html
Relevancy 61.92%

O.K short and sweet. OEM pc MOBO died, replaced MOBO, windows having trouble booting (expected). attempting repair with no results but FAIL. I am noobish, so I ask, what can I use to help the repair process? PS: I upgraded my OS out of the box From win 7 home premium OEM install, to Win7 Ultimate x64 via disk. I also have win 7 premium (full) on disk from another PC i installed it too, if that would help. I would do a clean install, but I can't lose any of my photos and data. Any suggestions?

A:Windows 7 repair with new MOBO old HDD? is upgrade disk usable?

The Product Key from the Win 7 premium full disk that is installed on another disk can't be used to install to the PC with the failed mobo, but.......you might be able to use that disk to repair the OEM install.

Are all of your disks burned? Or purchased? Or ?

What disks have you used to attempt a repair? Burned disks? OEM disks? Retail? Ultimate?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/256153-windows-7-repair-new-mobo-old-hdd-upgrade-disk-usable.html
Relevancy 61.92%

One of the things made better with Vista is its Recovery Disc I'm not & Vista Windows Transfer Repair, Upgrade, Easy too sure what SPECIFICALLY some of the features do so I'm basically wondering how far I can take some of its functions In my following questions I will ask something general and then something specific to my needs purposes Remember that all the questions are for Windows Vista -bit to be exact -What parts of Windows does Windows Repair check for and which files does it Windows Vista Repair, Upgrade, & Easy Transfer fix reinstall When I say files I mean files that can affect things at a large scale like registry entries -Does Windows Repair effect any of the installation entries related to the hardware -What exactly does Windows Upgrade do -Does Windows Upgrade effect any of the installation entries related to the hardware From my understanding doesn't Windows Upgrade basically reinstall all of Windows completely fresh as if a clean install on a fresh disc while keeping all your files programs and their settings basically everything else besides Windows files themselves If so I don't see the problem in changing the motherboard and carrying on without formatting your hard drive I think that it was just an impossibility unlikelihood for XP MOST IMPORTANT-What are the different things that can be done with Windows Easy Transfer interesting new feature -Is Easy Transfer necessarily from computer to computer or can it be from hard drive to hard drive From what I understand saw possible Easy Transfer allows you to copy all of your files and installations along with their settings over from one computer to the other that has the same OS through some sort of cable correct -Thanks in advance

A:Windows Vista Repair, Upgrade, & Easy Transfer

I'm not too sure what SPECIFICALLY some of the features dohttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748933.aspxhttp://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/...n-kit-waik.htmlhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/181591/windows-vista-repair-upgrade-easy-transfer/
Relevancy 61.92%

I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium(OEM) to Windows 7 Professional using Windows Anytime Upgrade. Since the upgrade is done online, with no DVD provided, is there any way to do a Repair Install? I allready tried the OEM RE-install disk, and setup won't allow the install. It is an install DVD, not an image restore disk.

A:Will Repair Install work with Windows Anytime Upgrade?

You have a Premium locked DVD which now needs to be Professional.

The solution is to unlock all versions in the installer, which can be done by:

downloading the DVD files to your desktop,

editing the Sources folder to delete the ei.cfg file,

then recompiling the files into an ISO using this tutorial: Bootable ISO - Create from Installation Files

Then use ImgBurn at 4x speed with Verify to burn your DVD. Never fails.

You should now be able to do your repair, or even clean reinstall from boot with that DVD by choosing Pro since you have a pro key, although I would def make a system image backup in case Anytime keys prove to not work in regular installs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/42794-will-repair-install-work-windows-anytime-upgrade.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi Guys So my bit fujitsu lifebook laptop has run into some crazy problems the last Windows CD Installation Universal using upgrade install (REPAIR) few days Including freezing every several minutes for ages BSOD a few times a day Nothing along the taskbar opening Windows upgrade (REPAIR) install using Universal Installation CD Task Manager making the whole screen turn black etc etc etc I researched alot and tried many things including chkdsk which just takes to long for it to be realistic i judge it would take about week to finish That being said i want to do a repair install of windows but when i use my universal disc which has bit and bit windows on it it returns the error after the compatibility check - You can t upgrade -bit Windows to a -bit version of Windows To upgrade obtain a -bit version of the installation disc or go online to see how to install Windows and keep your files and settings - -bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a -bit version of Windows To upgrade obtain a -bit version of the Windows installation disc So my question is is there a workaround for this I know people can make a universal disc easily so maybe there is a way to do this in reverse Thanks EDIT Before anyone worries about human error i can assure you I have bit laptop and i am selecting bit installation on my disc at the start of the setup

A:Windows upgrade (REPAIR) install using Universal Installation CD

Are you starting the upgrade from a booted Win 7 system to do an upgrade or Repair install? If so I suggest you back up your data then boot the DVD and do a Clean install, formatting the partition. That should work with no problem.

Alternatively, create a X64 bit DVD (or flash drive) with the correct version of Win 7 and use it instead of the universal installer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/232942-windows-upgrade-repair-install-using-universal-installation-cd.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have attached my CBS log file I have an Corsair SSD drive that I boot from and TB of regular drives Recently my SSD has slowed to a crawl and just moving deleting copying produced errors and lockups No virus or malware Did not know I had to switch BIOS unable to SFC Win7 using disk FAILURE; upgrade/repair OS settings to AHCI Did that but still get errors Did all the regular troubleshooting stuff chkdsk defrag registry optimize clean Did SFC scannow and found a bunch of errors that it could not fix Downloaded from SFC FAILURE; unable to upgrade/repair using Win7 disk this site the ISO to build Win SP but no matter what I do it still says my installation is newer than it is and stops the install repair So I am back to trying to manually fixing the SFC errors But I SFC FAILURE; unable to upgrade/repair using Win7 disk have no idea what these errors mean even looked them up and still don't get it For instance what does this mean How do you manually repair this quot POQ starts Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames c f a dcd cf f b a cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames e f a dcd d f b a cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames f f a dcd d f b a schcache SFC FAILURE; unable to upgrade/repair using Win7 disk f a d decb cc cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps schcache f a d decb cc cdf-ms quot Create Directory Directory l quot C Windows SchCache quot Attributes Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames a f a dcd d f b a system f a c a f b cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps system f a c a f b cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames be af a dcd d f b a system logfiles ait b d e c cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps system logfiles ait b d e c cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames cebe af a dcd d f b a programdata microsoft windo ws ait a e ffe cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps programdata microsoft windows ait a e ffe cdf-ms quot Create Directory Directory l quot C Windows System LogFiles AIT quot Attributes Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames f a dcd d f b a diagnostics system audio d b c ca f cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps diagnostics system audio d b c ca f cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp Pendin - - Info CSI gRenames f a dcd d f b a diagnostics system audio en-us fb d d cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps diagnostics system audio en-us fb d d cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames e f a dcd d f b a diagnostics system aero b c b f cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps diagnostics system aero b c b f cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames f d f a dcd d f b a diagnostics system aero en-us a ac a d cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps diagnostics system aero en-us a ac a d cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames f b a f a dcd d f b a system manifeststore d b f be c e cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps system manifeststore d b f be c e cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames ca f a dcd da f b a help windows en-us b e c e cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps help windows en-us b e c e cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames a f a dcd db f b a help help en-us e e a bf c cdf-ms quot Destination l quot SystemRoot WinSxS FileMaps help help en-us e e a bf c cdf-ms quot Move File Source l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingRenames fa ea f a dcd dc f b a appcompat programs c f bd f ca cdf-ms quot Destination l... Read more

A:SFC FAILURE; unable to upgrade/repair using Win7 disk

Does your installation have SP1? Is it a different bit-version 32- or 64-bit? These are the most common reasons for the error during Repair Install.

Does the problem persist after unplugging the other HD's?

What I would consider is getting a perfect Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version following only the Best Practices in the tutorial to setup and maintain the install, then in the future fall back on a Win7 backup image if these problems arise again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/243635-sfc-failure-unable-upgrade-repair-using-win7-disk.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello all Having a little issue here though I have a slight workaround to get my system running it's still very annoying and confusing I have a dual boot system I had Samsung GB SSDs and a separate Win x Startup dual on help! upgrade SSD after system, boot repair need installation on each one tweak for Pro Tools DAW I got a brand new Intel GB cheap and did the drive Startup repair after SSD upgrade on dual boot system, need help! clone with EaseUS Todo backup which worked GREAT typing from that Intel SSD install now Here is my problem When I turn on my computer and the dual boot screen comes up it asks which windows I want to load and the timer is seconds and whatever option I pick it says to run startup repair and I can't go any further When I load my startup repair disc and pick either of the Windows installations it says it could not detect any problems and to restart When I restart the default selection timer is back at Startup repair after SSD upgrade on dual boot system, need help! the seconds I originally had before I upgraded the SSD and either Windows Installation loads I've been thinking and thinking and maybe this has something to do with it When I originally installed my SSDs I had the cables swapped and wanted SATA as Win home use and SATA as Win DAW use OCD thing with the numbering and cabling Well I accidentally plugged them in wrong So when I switched to the intel drive I switched my cabling the way I wanted it But the more I think about it the startup repair disc says no errors and when I restart from Startup repair after SSD upgrade on dual boot system, need help! the startup repair options it works until I shut down of course then I need to use the startup disc restart method again Anyways any Ideas Thanks

A:Startup repair after SSD upgrade on dual boot system, need help!

Cloning may have given the same UUID to both W7 drives.
If that happened your PC is probably getting "confused" about which install to start.

I accidentally did this with a Ubuntu partition (on my old setup).
I had Ubuntu partitions on my old and new HDDs.
The Ubuntu partition that responded first was the one that started, not necessarily the one I wanted (i.e. it was totally random which HDD was actually running Ubuntu).

You are supposed to be able to change the UUID, but I have no idea how you do that in W7.

Do you have a access to EasyBCD?
You may be able to fix your issue using it.

There seems to be a free version:
EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

You may want to wait until one of the "boot experts" looks at this thread.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/296196-startup-repair-after-ssd-upgrade-dual-boot-system-need-help.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi everyone I'm actually unable to repair my system files through the W DVD It always ends up with an issue. repair/upgrade Using Diskpart/Clean fix to 7 Windows error Using Diskpart/Clean to fix Windows 7 repair/upgrade issue. message saying something as ''could not be carried out and will restore to previous version '' Googling this issue I found this discussion involving gregrocker nbsp nbsp Quote Originally Posted by gregrocker nbsp nbsp Quote Originally Posted by geverl I've a dual boot system with GRUB in the MBR Once again I am here to AVOID a clean reinstall and I am not going to wipe my HD This is a known issue with GRUB bootloader on the HD It corrupts Win in many ways including blocking a Repair Install The only solution at that point is to Clean Reinstall making sure to wipe the HD using Diskpart Clean Command As I explained earler you only have to get a Clean Reinstall once then save a Win backup image to use in place of future reinstalls to re-image the HD or its replacement in minutes My question is if I do an image of W with Acronis before running Diskpart Clean what will happen when I restore it Will the previous corruption that prevents me from repairing W be restored Thanks

A:Using Diskpart/Clean to fix Windows 7 repair/upgrade issue.

Quote: Originally Posted by Baback

My question is if I do an image of W7 with Acronis before running Diskpart/Clean,what will happen when I restore it.
Will the previous corruption that prevents me from repairing W7 be restored?
Thanks.

I'd say yes.

Images contain everything in the imaged partition----including viruses, warts, corruption, whatever may have been there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/258232-using-diskpart-clean-fix-windows-7-repair-upgrade-issue.html
Relevancy 61.49%

New laptop.  Came with Win 10 Home.  Everything worked.  Upgraded the OS to Win 10 Pro.  Now Intel Realsense f200 camera no longer works.  Camera still shows up and says working properly in device manager.  All drivers upgraded to latest.  Still no go on the camera. Ideas?  Suggestions?  Don't want to roll back the OS. Thanks. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Intel-Real-Sense-camera-stopped-working-on-OS-upgrade/td-p/5647674
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi hope someone can FTP Desktop Zone upgrade Alarm connecting Remote has stopped and help as the only solution to the following problem Zone Alarm upgrade has stopped Remote Desktop and FTP connecting that i can see is a full reinstall I recently update Zone Alarm to the newest version - no probs there Since then I can no longer FTP or Remote Desktop into my pc at home from work I have a netgear DG G and all the port forwarding is correct remember this was all working before the upgrade Windows Firewall is off I have some freeware that shows active ports and I can see that the Remote Desktop port is quot listening quot and I can also see it from the web when i used www canyouseeme org I have spent hours going round in circles and am getting nowhere fast This is how i have been testing Firstly I connected via VPN to my work PC and then tried remote desktop back into my pc via the internet address I know this works as I always do this to test the connection It will not allow me to connect wither FTP or RD I then tried a vpn into my work pc from my laptop at home and then remote desktop back into my Desktop PC This works ok so I know that the port forwarding works Zone Alarm upgrade has stopped Remote Desktop and FTP connecting for FTP and RD When I check the active ports I can see that the RD port is try to establish a connection but it just will not allow it I have Zone Alarm upgrade has stopped Remote Desktop and FTP connecting tried everything that I can think of within the ZA settings and it makes no difference whatsoever In the Log I can see that the RD connection is trying to be made but it says that it is blocking it but I can't for the life of me see how as I have granted the port ip address everything just to get it to connect somehow I have even uninstalled ZA fully and deleted the additional files that some websites mention and disabled Window Firewall and still it will not connect I have also re-flashed my Router just in case This is very frustrating as I need to access my PC from work on a regular basis and I don't fancy a reinstall as that will take hours to get my pc back the same Any ideas on something i can try or maybe something i have missed Any help would be appreciated Thanks Gav

Relevancy 61.49%

I ve been using Dell Backup and Recovery on my XPS since I bought it nbsp It has worked through Windows Windows but now no longer works in Windows for some reason I m using the same external WD drive I bought with the XPS nbsp The drive is connected directly to the USB port on the XPS 10 Dell Working Backup and Recovery after Upgrade Windows Stopped nbsp It is a TB My Passport WDBACX K- nbsp Backups used to take about hours When I first upgraded to Windows I Dell Backup and Recovery Stopped Working after Windows 10 Upgrade was informed that there is a new version of Dell Backup and Recovery nbsp So I upgraded it to the latest version and it installed properly I was then warned that since I now have Windows I should do a full System Backup so Dell Backup and Recovery Stopped Working after Windows 10 Upgrade I did that and this is where the problems began It asked me if I wanted to Delete my Windows backups to free up space which I did nbsp Then when I start the System Backup it does the steps nbsp Create list of files to be backed up it finishes although it takes a while to do it then when it starts the backup it takes FOREVER to get to and then just fails nbsp I mean it takes about hours to get to that point nbsp I have tried this three times On the last attempt I turned off my Carbonite backup and my Trend Micro turned off the screen saver and set the power settings to stay on indefinitely and the same thing still happens Gets to about and stops with a very simple message saying quot backup failed quot with an OK button nbsp It might say something a little more than quot backup failed quot but it is a short sentence with no error codes or reasons for failure My XPS hard drive is a GB drive and it is full up to GB nbsp Post processing I noticed that there is PLENTY of disk space on the WD MY Passport with over GB on it So in short Dell Backup and Recovery has been working for me for years now but after upgrading to Windows and getting the newest version of Backup and Recovery the backup operates extremely slowly and when getting to about it just fails with no error code or reason message

A:Dell Backup and Recovery Stopped Working after Windows 10 Upgrade

Exact same issue here - Dell Inspiron 2350. Backup and Recover has always been slow but the new version is super slow and has failed twice (after 14 hours!!).
My view is that it is not worth the time and effort to make it work. I have a system recovery usb stick and hopefully that will be enough to boot and access the internet to reinstall windows and download drivers if a major failure occurred.
I will uninstall Dell Backup and Recovery as your post has been up a couple of months and no reply and it is a major resource hog on startup and there is no way to tell it to bugger off!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19648295
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi,

I have several corrupted system files that System File Checker cannot repair and everything points me toward repairing my installation using the upgrade option, so I don't have to make a clean install.

Problem is that the compatibility check says I can't upgrade towards an x64 version, despite my system already being x64 (checked in configuration panel, also has Program Files (x86) and SysWOW64 folders).
Some of the corrupted files might make that check fail and prevent the reparation. If I'm using another DVD, it outright says that Windows 7 Professional cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional, despite it being the very one DVD I used to install my system. (but I'd rather use the .ISO that contains SP1 with it)

I'm in search for a solution to pass that compatibility check so I can run the repair-upgrade.

Thanks

A:Win7 repair (in-place upgrade): compatibility check fails to see x64

Please use this tutorial by Brink to help you completely fill in your System Specs.

System Info - See Your System Specs

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/384783-win7-repair-place-upgrade-compatibility-check-fails-see-x64.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello I have a question that I have seen posted Mvps Even Repair-upgrade Vista Windows Re: Say Install Yes?! Perform Can't Though by Microsoft MVPs and computer experts on how to do a quot Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install quot One of many websites that states this can be done http vistasupport mvps org repair a vist e vista dvd htm Yes read the first two paragraphs at the top Yes it is important to what I have Re: Can't Perform Windows Vista Repair-upgrade Install Even Though Mvps Say Yes?! to say Let me add to John's statement that if you remove the SP add-on from the Windows Vista SP you already have on system bringing it back to Windows Vista SP -- the original release of Windows Vista and attempt to do a Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install with your original Windows Vista SP installation disc the quot Upgrade quot option during the installation process is TOO grayed-out and you CANNOT do a Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install EITHER So how exactly do you do a quot Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install quot cannot seem to get the Re: Can't Perform Windows Vista Repair-upgrade Install Even Though Mvps Say Yes?! quot Upgrade quot option to be active in order to repair Windows Vista operating system ANYWAY AROUND THIS Please reply Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/158578/re-cant-perform-windows-vista-repair-upgrade-install-even-though-mvps-say-yes/
Relevancy 61.49%

So I built my third PC in May of this year and have been increasingly experiencing problems These problems include inability to install SP BSODs error upgrade during repair win7 then 64bit 0x80070241 IE crashing Firefox crashing and even more frustrating BSODs then error 0x80070241 during win7 64bit repair upgrade BSODs The errors I received when trying to install SP were x and x I looked them up and tried all the suggestions that I was allowed to do For example I was not able to complete a disk check before startup because of some error This led me to finally do a repair upgrade which BSODs then error 0x80070241 during win7 64bit repair upgrade was suggested in some forums I followed a PCWorld article and did what they told me until during the upgrade repair I received error x It says some of the install files were corrupt or something along those lines I am not very computer savvy so if you can please provide a link for help that requires me to do something above a normal computer user's capabilities would be appreciated I've started graduate school and I really need my computer to not crash and BSOD Please help and you'll have my undying gratitude forever Thanks

A:BSODs then error 0x80070241 during win7 64bit repair upgrade

Here is my SF Diagnostic Tool results. Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. Attachment 227600

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/248150-bsods-then-error-0x80070241-during-win7-64bit-repair-upgrade.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello I have a question that I have seen posted by Microsoft MVPs and computer experts on how to do a quot Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install quot One of many websites that states this can be done http vistasupport mvps org repair vista dvd htm Yes read the first two paragraphs at the top Yes it is important to what I have to say Let me add to John's statement that if you remove the SP add-on from the Windows Vista SP you already have on system bringing it back to Windows Vista SP -- the original release of Windows Vista and attempt to do a Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install with your original Windows Vista SP installation disc the quot Upgrade quot option during the installation process is TOO grayed-out and you CANNOT do a Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install EITHER So how exactly do you do a quot Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install quot cannot seem to get the quot Upgrade quot option to be active in order to repair Windows Vista operating system ANYWAY AROUND THIS Please reply Thanks

A:RE: Can't Perform Windows Vista Repair-Upgrade Install Even Though MVPs Say Yes?!

Hi,
Are you running the upgrade/install from inside Windows?

Paul

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/re-cant-perform-windows-vista-repair-upgrade-install-even-though-mvps-say-yes-271494.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello I have a question that I have seen posted by Microsoft MVPs and computer experts on how to do a quot Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install quot One of many websites that states this can be done Windows Though Say MVPs Vista Install Can't Repair-Upgrade Perform Even Yes?! http vistasupport mvps org repair a vista installation using the upgrade option of the vista dvd htm Yes read the first two Can't Perform Windows Vista Repair-Upgrade Install Even Though MVPs Say Yes?! paragraphs at the top Yes it is important to what I have to say Let me add to John's statement that if you remove the SP add-on from the Windows Vista SP you already have on system bringing it back to Windows Vista SP -- the original release of Windows Vista and attempt to do a Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install with your original Windows Vista SP installation disc the quot Upgrade quot option during the installation process is TOO grayed-out and you CANNOT do a Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install EITHER So how exactly do you do a quot Windows Vista Upgrade Repair Install quot cannot seem to get the quot Upgrade quot option to be active in order to repair Windows Vista operating system ANYWAY AROUND THIS Please reply Thanks

A:Can't Perform Windows Vista Repair-Upgrade Install Even Though MVPs Say Yes?!

Hi MonteCarlo1987,

If you have a Full version of Vista then you may not be able to do a Repair (Upgrade) install. Some people have had problems with a Full retail version letting them be able to do a upgrade install, but a Upgrade version can though. Did you run the installation from within your current Vista and not from booting from the installation DVD?

Also see:
Repair Install For Vista

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/169024-cant-perform-windows-vista-repair-upgrade-install-even-though-mvps-say-yes.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi all i have a file type tsv that i want to auto-open with s custom app we wrote skip the download open save dialog i use this command to check IE version nbsp reg query quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software Microsoft Internet Explorer quot v version on IE i added these reg values and it works great Windows Registry Editor Version HKEY CLASSES ROOT tsv quot tsv MyTSV quot quot Content Type quot quot tsv quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT tsv PersistentHandler quot f -bae - cd-b 11.9600.18524 type to stopped file after custom opening upgrade ie 11 - b bfeb quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT tsv ShellNew quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT tsv MyTSV quot My TSV File ie 11 stopped opening custom file type after upgrade to 11.9600.18524 quot quot EditFlags quot dword quot BrowserFlags quot dword HKEY CLASSES ROOT tsv MyTSV DefaultIcon quot C Program Files x Microsoft Office MyTSV xlicons exe ie 11 stopped opening custom file type after upgrade to 11.9600.18524 quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT tsv MyTSV Shell quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT tsv MyTSV Shell open quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT tsv MyTSV Shell open command quot quot C Program Files x Microsoft Office MyTSV myTSV exe quot quot now some PCs updated to nbsp and the regs stopped working any ideas how i can avoid the download window and auto-open an app in new IE version thanks for all the help and time Sean Noy

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f8bf7a50-2e92-4fe8-bb3a-adaab5e48f41/ie-11-stopped-opening-custom-file-type-after-upgrade-to-11960018524?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 58.48%

AIM 6.5 Upgrade causes media to no longer play on versions of Vista DO NOT UPGRADE...the cause of media no longer playing on Windows Media Player and iTunes and all other media players was linked on my PC to the download and installation of AIM 6.5. It also caused my network icon in my system tray show i was no longer connected to a network, and it was an unknown network.

To fix these problems use the system restore program that Vista comes with and restore your PC to a saved version before your installation of AIM 6.5.

Hopefully this helps everyone having these problems.

Note: Aim will no longer work after doing system restore, so you have to re-install in, and if you dont have the install package for 6.0 saved somewhere on your computer do not re-install 6.5, go to the aim site and look for the classic version 5.9.

A:AIM 6.5 Upgrade causes media to no longer play on versions of Vista DO NOT UPGRADE

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/aim-6-5-upgrade-causes-media-to-no-longer-play-on-versions-of-vista-do-not-upgrade.645302/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi everyone Current PC specs listed above to get it out Time RAM these..graphics choices?? card upgrade.. input / on to upgrade of the way I am a gamer This upgrade is to allow me to play some of the newer Time to upgrade.. input on these..graphics card / RAM upgrade choices?? games such as The Witcher and also to enable me to utilize DX when I eventually upgrade to Vista RAM this is what I have found I do not overclock Time to upgrade.. input on these..graphics card / RAM upgrade choices?? and I am very happy with the matched pair of Corasir XMS MB Time to upgrade.. input on these..graphics card / RAM upgrade choices?? C running at that I currently have so I figured the safe bet is in just jumping to a matched pair of MB sticks of the same http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Graphics card I do have a budget and from the reviews I have read this card should carry me through the gaming world for at least the next year hopefully I like eVGA and I have nothing but good things to say about the eVGA GS that I am currently using But if anyone has some input as to problems with the card listed below or if you know of another card that will perform just as well or better for around the same price I would like to hear about it http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

A:Time to upgrade.. input on these..graphics card / RAM upgrade choices??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/time-to-upgrade-input-on-these-graphics-card-ram-upgrade-choices.681708/
Relevancy 58.48%

I am trying to prep a computer to give to a friend Last night I reformatted it using the recovery discs that came with it It is a Tosh Satellite A Today I have been finding and installing updates to the system trying to prepare it for an upgrade to win which is no easy task since I have had to 7 XP caught by issues Upgrade Advis upgrade to incompatibility windows go out and find some of the drivers and service pack I am using the Windows Upgrade Advisor and need input on which of these issues really are issues and which I can skip and just install new once I upgrade Adobe issues -- I uninstalled it Toshiba Blue Tooth Stack for xp version -- XP to windows 7 upgrade incompatibility issues caught by Upgrade Advis I downloaded and installed version but have not uninstalled It XP to windows 7 upgrade incompatibility issues caught by Upgrade Advis doesn't make sense to my feeble brain why I would have to uninstall if I installed unless it is because I downloaded the instead of upgrading to it Here is a list of the rest MS NET Framework --I downloaded and installed a later version so which version do I need to find Toshiba ConFigFree -- No clue what this is Intel ProSet Wireless software -- ZeroCfgSvc Application -- No clue Toshiba Utilities -- I have updated everything available from ms so is this another one that I have to go find and if so what version To be uninstalled unless someone suggests otherwise Messenger Realplayer Realtek HD audio driver Sonic Record now Yahoo music engine Thanks a bunch in advance for any help

A:XP to windows 7 upgrade incompatibility issues caught by Upgrade Advis

1st, you can't upgrade from XP to Windows 7, you have to do a Clean Install which means boot the DVD and format the drive, so nothing you do to XP will have any effect.

Having said that, you can cheat

See here: Upgrade Install - XP to Windows 7

My recommendation would be to do an image backup of the XP system then do a Clean Install (with format), apply all updates then start restoring your data from the backup. All software will have to be reinstalled, it can't be copied from the backup to Win 7.

Good tutorials here:

Clean Install Windows 7
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/259803-xp-windows-7-upgrade-incompatibility-issues-caught-upgrade-advis.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have got myself into a bit of a mess.

I installed my version of windows starter on my mom's PC which was previously running vista. To see if it improved the performance or if the laptop itself was rubbish. It did so I purchased an upgrade to windows home premium. When I enter the upgrade key it says I need the current key is invalid for upgrade and that I need to phone a number. Does this mean the software I brought is useless. I didn't want to buy a disc as I had read that using a upgrade key meant everything was kept. Is there anyway I can use the software I've brought. The computer recognises the key as an upgrade one.
Thanks.

A:Windows upgrade starter to premium current key not valid for upgrade

Quote:
I installed my version of windows starter on my mom's PC which was previously running vista.

You can not use the Windows Starter from your Notebook on your mother PC.
Doing so would be a invalid upgrade.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/307006-windows-upgrade-starter-premium-current-key-not-valid-upgrade.html
Relevancy 58.48%

To avoid the Student Win 7 hassle (upgrading Vista 32 to Win 7 Pro 64 bit ISO burn, etc), can I simply use the Home Prem 32 Upgrade (for my other computer) arriving this afternoon with my 64bit Pro upgrade key & end up with the 64bit Pro installation?

Thanks.

A:Win7 Pro 64bit Upgrade Key w/ Prem 32bit Upgrade Disk

No... you can only update to the same version that you have installed... Home to Home... etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30556-win7-pro-64bit-upgrade-key-w-prem-32bit-upgrade-disk.html
Relevancy 58.48%

first time upgrade windows phone lumia 640 xl to windows 10 mobile after 9 th august can i received anniversary update version?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434534-first-time-upgrade-windows-10-mobile-anniversary-upgrade-can-received.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I'm trying to find out the easiest way to go about upgrading from Windows Home Premium bit to Windows Ultimate bit and what issues I might run into I don't want to reinstall everything Or anything if possible so am looking for the easiest option to upgrade Anytime upgrade offers the upgrade at a bit expensive I found a seller on ebay selling quot Microsoft Windows Ultimate -Bit Full Digital Download Key quot for a lot less He has about feedback at My question is can I use the key from this and enter it into the 'Enter an upgrade key' Premium Ultimate reinstall? Upgrade Anytime from or Home - to Upgrade box during the Anytime Upgrade Will I run into problems doing this Alternatively I could get a copy of Ultimate from Digital River burn it to Upgrade to Ultimate from Home Premium - Anytime Upgrade or reinstall? a disk or thumb drive use the key from the ebay seller above and try to do an 'upgrade' install over the top of my current Windows Home Premium install I don't know if this is even possible Any suggestions are welcome Thanks

A:Upgrade to Ultimate from Home Premium - Anytime Upgrade or reinstall?

The best way for any install is ALWAYS a clean install. Believe me you will have less problems and headaches than an upgrade. It would be worth your while to reinstall your software.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/348440-upgrade-ultimate-home-premium-anytime-upgrade-reinstall.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Thanks in advance for your help I have other posts on my VISTA reinstall problems but I ll make it short to say I had to reinstall my OS Knowing product. I have install Can't listed Upgrade...Why? upgrade Office I had Can't install Office Upgrade...Why? I have listed upgrade product. to reinstall Office I also installed Works that came with computer Dell Now that is exactly what was installed before when I Can't install Office Upgrade...Why? I have listed upgrade product. installed the Office just fine the first time pre-reinstall of VISTA However now when I go to install Office it tells me it can t find a required upgrade product On the box Works is listed as an eligible product and that is what I have installed It gives me an option to browse to the folder where it is installed but I ve tried and don t quite know where to point it to find Can't install Office Upgrade...Why? I have listed upgrade product. what it wants Works seems to be in many folders Does anyone know what I can do I don t have internet on that specific computer right now because of the VISTA reinstall issues see other post has created an issue with all the network drivers nbsp

A:Can't install Office Upgrade...Why? I have listed upgrade product.

Have you started up your copy of Works to see if it functions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-install-office-upgrade-why-i-have-listed-upgrade-product.873370/
Relevancy 58.05%

We have a Satellite Pro A - C purchased which 7 Pro Satellite Re: DVD' to Upgrade 'Windows upgrade A300-2C4 Professional came with Vista Business Bit installed but was downgraded using disk provided to Windows XP because of business network requirements When Windows became available I purchased the Windows upgrade DVD that Toshiba were offering so that if the Business decided to upgrade to the new operating system we could do so on this laptop This is what I Re: Satellite Pro A300-2C4 'Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD' to upgrade have recently tried to do to Re: Satellite Pro A300-2C4 'Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD' to upgrade discover it cannot be done as Re: Satellite Pro A300-2C4 'Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD' to upgrade the DVD is for Win Vista Bus to Win Pro upgrade What is the best way to do the upgrade without having to purchase another upgrade disk I do have a set of Recovery Discs for another Toshiba SatellitePro A - C which was purchased about months before this one these were created using the Toshiba Recovery software before any changes were made on the laprop Would I be able to recover the system to its Windows Vista state using these discs and then use the Windows Professional Upgrade DVD to do the upgarde Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly received

A:Re: Satellite Pro A300-2C4 'Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD' to upgrade

Hi TKG

Upgrading from WinXP to Win7 is not supported by Toshiba nor by Microsoft.
The only possible way to upgrade (go from 1 installation with some data to Win7 and keeping your settings and data) is from WinVista SP1 or later.

So regardless of how You look at it, You need to get XP out and either begin with WinVista factory installation + any 1 million updates that were released after this, OR
you can boot up from the Win7 media directly and install clean.
The second method saves a lot of time BUT have some negative side effects - namely not all drivers and utilities will be available in the final system if installed clean.
Some packages from WinVista works well in Win7 and are for that reason expected to be in the system during the update.
Hence, if You do a clean install, they will be missing.

However, they might not cause any trouble for You if they are not there, but that is not known until You're there and can see what You are missing.
Basic functionality should be expected though (WLAN, LAN, Sound, video....so on)

So, think about what You want to do and get busy with either recovering your unit with the WinVista set, updating, and then running the Toshiba Upgrade DVD, Win 7 upgrade and finally the Toshiba upgrade DVD again, OR just install Win7 clean + adding as much as possible / needed from the Toshiba Upgrade DVD.

Good luck!

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?60257-Re-Satellite-Pro-A300-2C4-Windows-7-Professional-Upgrade-DVD-to-upgrade
Relevancy 58.05%

I installed Win RC Build Can Upgrade... I to Ahead Looking and Apps? RC Upgrade Build Preserve over Win on my quot experimental quot spare laptop I have seen web posts that you cannot directly upgrade Win RC to Win RTM without going through some special steps and modifying one of the install files My question is is Looking Ahead to Upgrade... Can I Upgrade RC Build and Preserve Apps? if I purchase WIN Pro on Oct will I be able to easily upgrade to it from my RC Build preserving Looking Ahead to Upgrade... Can I Upgrade RC Build and Preserve Apps? setting and apps or will I have to basically do a clean install or some some quot special steps quot as in the RTM case to accomplish an upgrade of RC And by apps I am referring to my installed programs like Office Photoshop Quicken and tons of other programs I have installed Just looking ahead to how much work I might be facing later this month If I cannot do an easy upgrade install of Win Pro over my RC Build maybe I will just bag it and forego Win and go back and do a clean install of my Win media Hopefully I have better choices

A:Looking Ahead to Upgrade... Can I Upgrade RC Build and Preserve Apps?

I think so, just click Upgrade on the installation process and everything will be intact. Anyway, if you upgrade to Windows 8 RTM and all apps from RC are gone (like what you get from a clean install), you can just sign in on your Windows Live account and re-download all your apps from "my apps" page in the Microsoft Store, though the settings that you had for RC won't get imported.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/10044-looking-ahead-upgrade-can-i-upgrade-rc-build-preserve-apps.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a copy of MS Office Professional 2003 that has been installed and working fine for 2 years. Now (perhaps as a result of a Microsoft update ?) I am told that it is not genuine and will fail to work in 10 days. The invalidity is confirmed at http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/ It seems this is part of a bunch of product keys that purport to be one in a series of a volume licence but were really stolen.

Do I need to buy a full retail edtion of Office Professional 2007 or will an upgrade version be acceptable to the activation code ?

A:Will an upgrade version of MS Office see a hookey one as a qualification for upgrade

If you purchased this as a legal, retail version, then contact Microsoft about the false notification.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-an-upgrade-version-of-ms-office-see-a-hookey-one-as-a-qualification-for-upgrade.872397/
Relevancy 58.05%

I recently obtained an upgrade for Vista Ultimate I'm currently running Vista Home Premium dated According to won't Upgrade Install option Ultimate upgrade--only Clean given the upgrade chart it's supposed to be perfectly fine to upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate However I get past the product key dialog and the next one indicates that my system is not capable of taking an upgrade but can perform a clean install Strange I went on-line and ran into a blitz of different answers to this problem but finally found something that might look like the reason Q Could this problem be occuring because I have Vista Home Premium SP applied and my Ultimate Anytime Upgrade only includes SP A Yes you would need to uninstall the Windows Vista SP and then upgrade to Ultimate Upgrade won't upgrade--only Clean Install option given Windows Ultimate Upgrade won't upgrade--only Clean Install option given Vista Ultimate Note An upgrade always begins Ultimate Upgrade won't upgrade--only Clean Install option given at the desktop After uninstalling Windows Vista SP boot to the Windows Vista Home Premium desktop then insert the Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade DVD disc in the DVD drive Is this right Do I need to roll back SP in order to do the upgrade to Ultimate then re-apply SP once it completes Also side note question I entered my product key and then the installation type dialog came up next after a few moments Does this mean my product key passed the validation I just want to be sure that my product will activate as I bought this nd hand and was assured that it wasn't activated

A:Ultimate Upgrade won't upgrade--only Clean Install option given

I am not going to answer your question, directly, but will say that a clean install is always better. Go with the clean install. You do not save time with an upgrade if you take into account the multitude of problems that may occur.
Back up your stuff, use Windows Easy Transfer and all you need to do is reinstall your software and you have the very best installatio, a clean install.
Enter your key after you have used the system for a few days, your software is all installed and you are satisfied, you have 30 days, which can be extended.
Clean Install From Upgrade Vista
Would you want your old car after being detailed or a brand new 2012 car, it works the same with the OS.
If you choose not to use my advice, you need to have SP1 with an SP1 install.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/296558-ultimate-upgrade-wont-upgrade-only-clean-install-option-given.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I am planning to upgrade to WinXP Pro soon but I seem to have run into a problem I plan on upgrading as opposed to full install because I can purchase WinXP Pro Upgrade from school for full version not available unfortunately So to make sure that none of my software or hardware will create an problem in the upgrade I ran Microsoft XP Upgrade Advisor The Upgrade Advisor is telling me that my version of Win is not supported for upgrade The exact message is as follows Blocking Issues Unsupported Operating System Version The version of Windows running is not supported Windows Says Advisor XP Upgrade supported for upgrade. not Win98 Setup can only upgrade official releases Setup will now exit the last part of course being the text message I would presumably Windows XP Upgrade Advisor Says Win98 not supported for upgrade. receive if I were to attempt an upgrade See attachment for full Upgrade Advisor report For one I would like to know why Upgrade Advisor is telling me that Win on my machine is not supported Could it be because I originally loaded Win and upgraded to Win Also I would like opinions on wether or not this will actually prevent me from upgrading Especially if you have run into this problem Thanks for any advice nbsp

A:Windows XP Upgrade Advisor Says Win98 not supported for upgrade.

That would be my guess that it will not upgrade an upgrade. That's what I thought when I read "official releases" in the log file.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-upgrade-advisor-says-win98-not-supported-for-upgrade.61658/