Windows Support Forum

Windows 7/Windows vista no dual boot up choice

Q: Windows 7/Windows vista no dual boot up choice

I have Windows 7installed on one drive and Windows Vista on another drive. When I boot up the computer it goes directly to Windows 7. It recognizes the second hard drive in Windows Explorer but it doesn't give me a choice as to which operating system to run from. New computing appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 7/Windows vista no dual boot up choice

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows 7/Windows vista no dual boot up choice

Did you have both drives installed when you installed each OS?
Or did you do each install with the other drive disconnected?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/158935-windows-7-windows-vista-no-dual-boot-up-choice.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I am trying to dual boot with 2 different hard drives and 2 different systems. One is Vista x64 and the other is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. After installing the hard drive with Windows 7 which came from a different computer, I used EasyBCD to configure the boot order. Windows vista still works, but when I want to switch to Windows 7 I get:

FILE \windows\system32\winload.exe
info: windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

After some search I have found this old thread from this same forum. Here is the link: dual boot windows 7 and vista boot error winload.exe

The Op seems to have similar problem as me. I just don't get all the follow up instructions in the thread dealing with bootrec since I haven't encountered it before (I think...). Any thoughts?

A:Dual boot windows vista and windows 7 boot error winload.exe

The best way to Dual Boot OS's on separate HD's is to set the preferred OS HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, then when needed trigger the other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.

If this is not desireable, then set Win7 HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, install easyBCD to Win7 to add XP.

Before doing this delete any EasyBCD listing for the other HD you've already made in Edit OS Menu tab.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/355211-dual-boot-windows-vista-windows-7-boot-error-winload-exe.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi all I am having some problems I am hoping I may be able to get some advice on I have a new laptop that came with Windows Vista Model is Toshiba Satellite A -S I have been trying to load Windows Repair boot Vista boot dual and and Windows XP MBR loader it with Windows XP because Windows Vista kind of sucks for my computing needs I am pretty sure a format and clean install will wreck my warranty hence the dual boot So far I have been able to partition and install XP SP- to a partition I ve booted into XP fine but my Vista partition is not available I think that the partition table or MBR has been corrupted So to repair Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot this what I did was boot up from the Vista recovery DVD and run the startup repair option to reload the bootloader for Vista and thus enable dual booting When I rebooted I got a black screen saying Invalid Partition Table or something to this effect I tried repairing the MBR and so on and so forth from the console on the recovery DVD but this proved to be Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot pretty much totally fruitless So I went through and did an install of Windows XP once again to my other drive partition I had created So I am basically where I started I need to know if somebody knows how I can repair the drives MBR or partition table to make it readable under Windows to at least pull my important files off of or to boot into Any ideas would be enormously appreciated Attached I will include a visual of what s up with my hard drive situation Thank you Jacob Also I will cross-reference this to a couple of forums I have posted to with no results as they may have some information I have forgotten to include http www geekstogo com forum Hard-Disc-MBR-Problems-New-Vista-Downgrade-t html These are some instructions I came across which more or less explain how I went about doing the install http www howtogeek com forum topic howto-windows-xp-install-on-a-vista-computer nbsp

A:Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-boot-loader-and-mbr-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-dual-boot.666827/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi friends,
I have following h/w config:-

ATA 70 GB Hdd
SATA 320GB HDD

I first installed 2003 server on 70 GB hdd and then vista on one partition of 320 GB hdd. When i restart I do not see the os dual boot menu to select from vista/2003 server. Rather, the pc starts with vista.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

A:Windows vista windows 2003 server dual boot

Try running this in vista and use it to add a boot entry for 2003.
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
Link at the bottom of the page.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-windows-2003-server-dual-boot.791795/
Relevancy 76.97%

Is it possible to set up a dual-boot system with Windows Vista OEM on one hard drive and install Windows 7 Upgrade on another hard drive? Windows 7 would be the primary and Windows Vista would be the secondary.

A:Set Up Dual-Boot System with Windows Vista OEM & Windows 7 Upgrade?

Easiest is to install each with the other HD unplugged, then set preferred as first HD to boot in BIOS setup, trigger other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key. This keeps each independent to come and go as you please.

If you don't like that method then you can install EasyBCD to Win7 to add Vista to a Win7 Dual Boot menu which will leave them independent.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/345082-set-up-dual-boot-system-windows-vista-oem-windows-7-upgrade.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello everyone I have Windows Ultimate not the beta the real thing I have Vista on my Hard Disk taking GB almost my entire hard disk with Linux Ubuntu taking only MB used Wubi Linux Installer I want to shrink my main partition to be able to install Windows The smallest I have tried to shrink it by is GB it says I can shrink it up to GB using Vista Disk Management but it says there isn Windows 7 Windows Problem Dual Vista and Boot t enough room to be able to perform this task I have never shrunk my own hard disk before and my disk is formatted in NTFS file system Does it matter that I have virtual OS running virtually on my computer using Sun Virtual Box I have about on Virtual Box XD Back to partitioning my hard disk the layout for them is basic and it says they are healthy It just wont shrink it I really want to dual boot Windows and I only get one install remember Can anyone please offer some suggestions Thanks Bigioale nbsp

Relevancy 76.11%

Hello I am trying to remove Windows Vista which is my active and main OS that came with my laptop and I had my uncle install Windows for me He had installed it onto my Recovery Drive so I had to shrink my C Windows Vista and add some space to D Windows Now that I have the space and have been using from with Remove Boot Vista 7 Windows Dual Windows Windows for a few weeks I would like to get rid of Windows Vista but after reading some things online I do not know how to get rid of Windows Vista because of Remove Windows Vista from Dual Boot with Windows 7 the boot files Remove Windows Vista from Dual Boot with Windows 7 that are on them Is it possible to remove windows Vista and then expand D with the space that was used for Windows Vista and how would I go about doing this I am not very technical about computers so please do give clear steps that I can follow by please P S I created another partition RECOVERY A because Windows gave me a notification that I should backup my files but that partition is too small So how much space should I leave for Recovery I can not free up any more space from C Windows Vista but I can free some up from my D windows Here are some of the images of the partitions and etc

A:Remove Windows Vista from Dual Boot with Windows 7

Also I am trying to get this done tonight so my replies will be almost as right away after you reply unless I'm following your instructions on doing something.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/127473-remove-windows-vista-dual-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

can I dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

Samsung notebook model: NP300E5C-A08SA

A:dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

yes you can, as long as it is on it's own partition or disk

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/64551-dual-boot-windows-vista-pre-installed-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

First off, hello
Now for the fun. I've got a new rig I'm building and I want Windows Vista on one of two 300GB HDD's, while I want Windows XP on a RAID 0+1 thats setup on four 250GB SATA drives. I started with vista and then setup the raid 0+1, everything went smooth. I proceeded to install windows xp on the raid, which also went smooth. But I couldn't boot into windows Vista anymore, so i repaired that and now I can't boot into windows XP. Whats goin on?
Windows XP Pro w/sp2
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
4GB DDR2 5300 (i think)
2x 300GB maxtor IDE
4x 250GB Seagate SATA in raid 0+1 (mirrored + striped)
Asus M2N4-SLI
X1300 All in one wonder
2x DVDRW/CDRW
What yall think?

Relevancy 76.11%

Hello all Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here I've got a dual boot system at the moment - screenshot attached of my Disk Management screen if that helps I would like to remove the Vista OS and reclaim the space now that I've transferred everything over Windows Vista Dual with from Removing Windows Boot 7 to and have a backup I've deleted the Vista Boot entry in msconfig's Boot section and have looked at these posts on this forum but don't seem to be getting anywhere - Dual booting vista and windows want to remove vista all together MBR - Restore Windows Master Boot Record As you can see Removing Windows Vista from Dual Boot with Windows 7 from my screenshot - E is the old bit Vista partition system active primary partition C is the new bit Windows partition I'd like to remove E and expand C but I don't have the option to format E when I right click If anyone has any tips or can point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated Have downloaded EasyBCD although from their website I don't see Windows as being supported Thanks in advance Darren

A:Removing Windows Vista from Dual Boot with Windows 7

Welcome to SevenForums, Darren!

It looks as if you have Windows 7 on a logical drive. While it is possible to boot to Windows on a logical drive, it would require the 100MB system partition Windows 7 creates on installation.

How hard would it be to start over? You do not want Vista anymore, so if you start the installation process, you can delete the Vista and 7 partitions, and create a new, Primary one.

Let us know if you need help, and we will be happy to assist you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/59680-removing-windows-vista-dual-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I followed the advice from this link:

How To: Install Windows 7 Beta from a USB Key! | Maximum PC

Essentially booting from a USB drive, I used my iPod to carry the Win7 files and about 25% into the loading process where it's loading the files initially during the boot it says there is an I/O error with the iPod.

I know that there isn't anything wrong with the system because I have re-tested copying files back and forth from the iPod back on Vista and there seems to be no problem, I tested it with an XP system as well.

Any suggestions? My DVD burner is stuffed so it's unlikely to work that way and the files are too big for any USB drive I have currently.

A:Dual boot Windows 7 (7057) and Windows Vista

Nvm, I got my DVD burner to work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/5704-dual-boot-windows-7-7057-windows-vista.html
Relevancy 76.11%

ok here is my problem I recently got windows vista business edition through msdn I install it on my sata hard drive and everything worked great well i desided since there are still some bugs in vista and that all the drivers arn't done yet i'd partition my hard drive and put xp on it to Well i did this by using disk management in vista and shrinkiing the partition first then nameing a new one I then ran the xp installation and it went throguh the copying of files and eveything Thern when it went to reboot the bios stops right after pickiing up the drive I left it sitting for over mins and nothing I tryed resetting the bios everything It just sits there can anyone xp boot SATA, dual windows windows vista help me I even put the drive into a never computer i have with a newer bios just SATA, windows vista dual boot windows xp to see if that was it and still it sits it comes up that it has detected it and that it is S M A R T compatable and that the status is ok And then nothing the bios stops and doesn't finish to go into the boot I really need help here guys i don't have money for a new hard drive anyone have any suggestions

A:SATA, windows vista dual boot windows xp

I've heard of this problem a few times now, but can't remember where I saw it or how to fix it. Bottom line, don't install Vista and XP on the same drive.

Try using the repair console in vista. Put the DVD in the drive and boot from it. From there use the recovery console. This will search for boot level errors and hopefully fix it.

If these are fresh installs and you have no data to lose, just erase it and choose one or the other until they can play nicely.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sata-windows-vista-dual-boot-windows-xp-142842.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi all I have a dual boot vista kbuntu system I was using windows and was running low of space on my c drive so I thought to compress it Upon completion I re-booted my system to only be made aware og the error message that my Windows Boot Files were compressed and so windows could not be booted I have some questions relating to this issue for which any knowledgeable input would be greatly appreciated Why has Microsoft imposed no safety mechanism or warning upon compressing Windows in and Uncompressing Dual Boot Vista Kbuntu Files Boot the c drive if this is the result of the action Why can compressed boot files be booted This may be a stupid question but I would like to understand I have been reading on the web for possible solutions to this problem The most common seems to be to insert the original OS vista cd boot from it and click Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot repair I have my vista system set up perfect in terms of programs and data Will the repair operation preserve this state Using the CD method above is there any means to uncompress only the boot files and not the whole of the c drive so I can still achieve my original goal of space savings My system is dual boot I can stilll load Kbuntu and access my NTFS c drive on the kbuntu desktop Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot I can even see the specific windows boot files folder I am new to linux but tried to adopt a windows seasoned approach of right clicking the boot files folder and going into properties and looking for uncompress option there Suprise suprise no such option there But since my system is dual boot and I can see my windows boot file folder if there is a means to uncompress these files this way it would seem to be the easiest way of doing it Are there any know possible means by this approach If linux is not up to this job my next idea was to use a storage bridge and connect my hard drive to another computer running windows to uncompress If I try this method does it have to be another vista OS based Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot operating system or would other versions of windows work just as well e g XP and or x x bit OS systems Keen to learn so again any advice or suggestions relating to these queries much appreciated

A:Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot

It would be useful to know the exact mechanism you used to enact the compression, the extent of what you compressed, as well as the actual error message you now see when trying to boot into Windows.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/218772-uncompressing-windows-boot-files-vista-kbuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I installed Windows 7 on a partitioned harddrive with vista on the other half.

After the installation i have my boot menu with:
Windows 7
Windows Vista

Windows vista still works but when i try and load windows 7 i get a boot error message:

FILE \windows\system32\winload.exe

info: windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a number of times, trying the 32 and 64 bit version, and setting the partition to active... with zero results. Ive been googling my problem for days and haven't found a single thing that has been useful. Please help me out if you have heard of this problem happening or have any idea why it is happening.
Please get back to me.

Cheers
the funk

A:dual boot windows 7 and vista boot error winload.exe

try to check the Windows 7 partition for bad sectors (using checkdisk).

if that doesn't help, maybe you will need to rebuild the BCD. Use the bootrec command.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista/7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/29015-dual-boot-windows-7-vista-boot-error-winload-exe.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Okay so I didn t screw up everything but I can t get my boot menu situation straight I have a dual boot of windows xp pro and windows vista business I used EasyBCD to edit my boot menu this way my boot menu listed Windows XP and Windows Vista and it would default to Windows XP The + Windows Xp Menu Boot issues Dual Vista Boot problem now is that I can access F options on windows vista but not on windows xp I messed Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues around Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues with my boot ini for xp but can t get it to do what i want it to do This was my boot ini setup after using EasyBCD - Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT When the boot ini is listed as above it will automatically just go to Windows XP I want to have my F options back in case I need to get into safe mode I modified the boot ini to do this - Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode quot safeboot minimal sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode Networking quot safeboot network sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode CMD Prompt quot safeboot minimal alternateshell sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot XP Pro Debug quot debug sos basevideo noguiboot bootlog Now when the boot menu comes up and says I can boot into Win Xp or Win Vista it defaults to Win Xp like it is suppose to but brings up all those options that I added to the boot ini So instead of booting straight to windows xp it gives me another menu screen with all the options I just added to the boot ini When it brings up the second boot menu for Windows Xp it shows all the options that I added the normal XP option I can hit F and it will bring up the normal list of safe mode and debug options How can I get the main boot screen Windows Xp option to access those advance options by hitting F instead of going through two menus I m sorry if this in confusing I tried to explain it the best way I could nbsp

A:Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues

This is all you should need to start XP. I suggest lowering the "timeout" to 3 or less. To access your F8 options you should do so immediately after starting the XP-os. (right after this "boot loader" processes.)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-windows-xp-vista-boot-menu-issues.948385/
Relevancy 74.82%

Yeah I went and did something stupid - - I had a dual boot of Vista Ubuntu and I deleted the Ubuntu partition in vista and rebooted the comp before correcting the Boot menu So now when I re-start I get this Loading GRUB stage Loading Error I have run just about every test I know of I m running a Vista home on a Dell XPS I ve already ran chkdsk all of Dell s utilities Windows Vista Startup Repair etc Can someone help please EDIT Would fdisk mbr correct my problem Okay now I understand what the problem is The GRUB is looking for a partition that is not there and the binary isn t matching up I m at work right now so I have no way to test to fix it I just want to make sure I know how before I head home Options fdisk mbr FIXBOOT FIXMBR I think bootrec exe fixmbr and fixboot will correct my issue I would like to run it by you guys first nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-vista-boot-dual-boot-grub-error.107629/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hey guys, I've been looking through the forum and found some similar posts, but wanted to make sure that I understand everything before actually proceeding. I have a HP HDX 16t which came with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I used the Windows 7 Upgrade Disk to do a clean install of Win7 on a new partition (I only have one hard drive). I would now like to remove Vista completely. I am attaching a pic of what my Disk Management shows. Thanks in advance for any help.

A:Removing Vista from Dual-Boot System Vista + Windows 7

This great new tutorial from Barefootkid will show you with pictures exactly how to accomplish this using the best partitioning tool for Win7: Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

Use Option One in the tutorial and substitute your Vista partition for the 100mb boot partition he refers to there.

Read the Note as once you delete Vista partition then Resize Win7 into its disk space and mark Win7 active, you'll need to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots to write the System MBR to Win7 and start it up.

Back up your files and a system image externally as Resizing operations can fail although we have not had one fail in a couple hundred of these operations we have helped with here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/102033-removing-vista-dual-boot-system-vista-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I want dual booot for computer.

1) Windows xp pro
2) windows vista

Whats the difference between following two methods ?

Create partition and install windows xp pro on first partition. Boot from windows vista DVD-ROM. Install Windows vista on second partition

create two partitions, install windows vista on first partition and boot from windows xp pro CD-ROM. Install windows xp pro on second partition.

Is any one of the above two procedures wrong ?

If yes, which one and why ?

Thanks

A:Dual Boot from Windows XP Pro and Windows vista

XP first and then Vista

XP wont recognize Vista otherwise and will mess up the boot process

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-boot-from-windows-xp-pro-and-windows-vista-481948.html
Relevancy 73.96%

My mom's computer came with vista and I installed windows 7 as a dual boot. It worked well for a year. The other day all I did was unplug the printer and now all of a sudden her computer wont connect to the wifi but every other computer will.

also when I boot up it only says windows 7, vista has disappeared I ran the vista disk and installed again and it says I have 4 partitions but only windows 7 shows up on boot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-vista-dual-boot-574536.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Ok so my origional operating system was windows 2000? So i partitioned the drive and made room for vista. Installed on that partition and now i dont have an option to boot into 2000. Theres no option to boot into 2000. Any ideas, i tried EasyBCD but i kept getting NTLDR errors?

A:Windows vista dual boot?

Originally Posted by Kidfork

Ok so my origional operating system was windows 2000? So i partitioned the drive and made room for vista. Installed on that partition and now i dont have an option to boot into 2000. Theres no option to boot into 2000. Any ideas, i tried EasyBCD but i kept getting NTLDR errors?

recover windows 2000 with the install cd and that will get your OS back, now you will have a problem with booting to vista, you need to then put your vista dvd in and fix your booting sequence from there, works like a charm

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/219648-windows-vista-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I am attempting to partition my hard drive so I can dual boot Vista and Windows 7. Ive tried to partition my hd once before and it said it couldn't be formatted completely, after about 96% complete..So now I don't know what to do..On my C: drive it says I have 217.83gb NTSF..It says healthy (system, boot, page file, active, primary partition) it also has a Recovery side which is (E:) 15.00gb healthy (primary partition) then it has 55mb (healthy, EISA configuration)..how much should I shrink the volume for Windows 7?? All I did the first time was shrink what it had in the 'how much do you want to shrink box..Which I knew was more than 40gb that Windows 7 can run on comfortably, so I was told..I don't know what I did wrong but obviously it was something..Can anybody help me?? Thanks in Advance.. WH

A:Want to Dual Boot Vista with Windows 7

Partition Wizard is a free partition utility that could help you, get the Home Edition.http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290865/want-to-dual-boot-vista-with-windows-7/
Relevancy 73.96%

I made my dell desktop a dual boot it has Windows XP and Windows Vista. What my problem is I installed a wireless card and when I boot into windows xp it will not detect it. It works when I am booted into vista I can get on the net just not with Windows xp. What could be causing this problem.

Thanks for any help

A:Windows XP Vista Dual Boot

Verify that all network drivers are installed.
To open device manager: start > run > devmgmt.msc

If there are any !, ?, or X
in the list then you need to update/reinstall the drivers or enable the device.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-vista-dual-boot-390531.html
Relevancy 73.96%

So here is my problem I have Windows Vista installed on my computer There are some programs that I want that only run with Windows XP so I am trying to install it so I can dual boot with both operating systems I created the second partition under Disk Management Windows Vista boot dual XP + with GB of Windows Vista + XP dual boot free space to install Windows XP on then I restarted my computer and put in my Windows XP install disk It goes to the blue screen and starts booting things on the bottom but then I get to a page that reads this Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct This may involve running a manufacture-supplied diagnostic or setup program Setup cannot continue to quit Setup Press F -------------------------------------- That is my problem I read a lot about dual booting operating systems and have read about something with it not being able to read SATA I'm not too savvy when it comes to things like this but I do realize that this is under the BIOS I went to the BIOS by pressing the delete button as my computer was booting up and then proceeded to the Advanced tab Under the Advanced tab I saw that there was a place that referred to SATA but didn't find out how to do anything useful with it I read that I need to disable SATA Native Mode or something like that but it's nowhere to be found Thats all I can say on my problem at this point thank you If you need me to explain more I will I can upload some pictures too if necessary Please help I need this fixed quickly Much appreciated

A:Windows Vista + XP dual boot

I know exactly why this isn't working and you should should forget about dual boot, at least for now that is. Sounds like Vista is set to Recognize AHCI where as you need to Load A driver in order for XP to Load correctly.There is a much easier way for you to do this. Use Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual Box (much easier) What this does is allows you to allocate system resources to a Guest operating system inside Windows Vista, that way you don't have to mess arround with Dual booting.Don't get me wrong, dual booting has it's advatages, but I think you would have less Head aches using Virtual PC or Virtual Box.Learn about Virtual PC 2007 herehttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...pc/default.mspxand Virtual Box Here:http://www.virtualbox.org/You'll have to load XP by Mounting the Optical Disc, which is explained on both websites, and you can easily set XP to use IDE as it's interface whichwill make life easier for you.Good Luck

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/181892/windows-vista-xp-dual-boot/
Relevancy 73.96%

I have set up Windows 7 to dual boot with my Vista, but can not find a way for W7 to access "My Documents" which are on Vista.
Ideally I want both operating systems to be able to access, edit, and add to "My Documents" and personal files.
Can anyone please help ?

Regards, Bill.

A:Dual Boot Vista / Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by BillRob

I have set up Windows 7 to dual boot with my Vista, but can not find a way for W7 to access "My Documents" which are on Vista.
Ideally I want both operating systems to be able to access, edit, and add to "My Documents" and personal files.
Can anyone please help ?

Regards, Bill.

Hi and welcome

When you attempt to acesss the docs from win 7 what error messages do you get?

Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/40144-dual-boot-vista-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I got an issue were i have to install windows 7.

Currently i have an Dell inspiron 1721 laptop with windows vista.

Problem is there is a lot of data on my machine and i dont want to format and fresh install i would like to dual boot is there a way to do this?
How would you guys suggest i do this without messing up my windows vista

What programs do i need what steps do i need to take.

I need step by step instruction due to i have never done this before thanks

Specs are :

amd athlon 64 dual core 1.9 ghz

3 gig ram

220gig drive with 118 free on hard drive

Win vista 32 bit.
Can i put windows 7 64 or do i need win 7 32 my cpu is 64 bit i believe.
Thank you for all of your help and suggestions

Edit: ps the dvd player dosen,t work but i have a usb external one will this cause any trouble?

A:I need to dual boot windows 7 with vista

Follow these illustrated steps to shrink C in Disk Management, boot Win7 installer to install there, which will configure a Dual Boot menu. Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista

I'd first run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to get a heads-up on any issues ahead. With 3gb RAM I would run 32 bit for best performance - 4gb is my cut off.

The drivers are in the installer or quickly updated via optional Windows Updates - put your wireless/ethernet driver on a stick just in case so you can get online to Update. Any drivers then missing in Device Manager can be found on the Dell Support downloads webpage for your computer model. Or from Device Manager>Device>Update Driver>Browse to the Vista partition's Windows/System 32 folder which will pick up a missing driver.

Next, I'd simply link the Vista User folders to their related Windows 7 library using this method: Library - Include a Folder - Windows 7 Forums. When you open any library - Docs, Pics, Music, Video, etc. - the files will be there just like if they were on the same partition, but you save space by accessing them on the Vista HD.

If you want us to take a quick look at your configuration to make sure there are no possible pitfalls, then post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Mgmt drive map with listings: Screen Shots
Screenshot with Paint

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/218014-i-need-dual-boot-windows-7-vista.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hello, I just installed Windows Vista on C: and I have an empty I: drive but it says HP I:, I tried to reformatted it and it was successful then I restarted my computer and I get the black screen that shows up Windows XP AND Windows Vista.

How do I get rid of the XP dual boot menu and just go directly straight on with Vista?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-on-windows-vista.1034231/
Relevancy 73.96%

I have a laptop and a 1 terabyte external hard drive. I have Vista installed on my laptop but it isn't running the fastest because of all the stuff i have on it. I was wondering if I could dual boot windows 7 off of my external hard drive. If so could someone tell me how or post a link!

A:Dual Boot Windows Vista and 7

Officially, Windows 7/Vista can not be installed to an external drive but can be installed from one. There may be some hacks that enable it, or workarounds. I think I heard of something a while ago.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-boot-windows-vista-and-7-a-485487.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I originally have Windows Vista Home Premium installed to my C: Drive, i had shrunk that volume to install Windows 7 Ultimate, i have installed this, so i can now Dual-Boot, but when i wish run League of Legends (A Game) I made it run in Windows XP Service pack 2, but says i need Adobe Air, of which is in my C: Drive. Windows 7 Is in the A: Drive, and D: Drive is my Recovery Drive.

Thank You, Your Replies May Really Help.

A:Dual-Boot (Windows 7 + Vista) HELP!

I don't know that particular game.

It appears to be asking you to install Adobe Air in Windows 7.

You may already have the Adobe Air installed in Vista - you presumably need to install it in Windows7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/78252-dual-boot-windows-7-vista-help.html
Relevancy 73.96%

If I install Windows 7 alongside Windows Vista would I have to reinstall everything and move everything over to Windows 7?
I don't even want Vista but my mom won't let me get rid of it.
So if I dual boot with Windows 7, can I just mount the Vista partition and run all of my programs or do I have to reinstall them?

A:I want to dual boot Vista and Windows 7?

most programs will have to be reinstall. one thing, make sure the win7 you installed is a full retail version, you would not be eligible for any other since you are keeping vista.

Any programs you reinstall would have to be either uninstall from vista and then install or you will have to purchase a second copy. Be sure to read their eula or license to find out for sure on each individual program.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/i-want-to-dual-boot-vista-and-windows-7-a-616629.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I was wondering if it's possible to run windows 7 along with Vista (64bit). My current computer has 4 drives setup in a RAID configuration and i am wanting to add a new drive which I could run Windows 7 on.

Thanks!

A:Dual boot windows 7 with Vista?

Yes, you can dual boot Vista and Windows 7 following this tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5166-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-vista.html
I don't know how to set it up in a RAID config tho'

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380101/dual-boot-windows-7-with-vista/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi. I'm currently running Vista Ultimate 64 and wish to add Windows 7 Ultimate (clean install) and have dual-boot capability. Does it make a difference if I create a new partition on my current HD (250GB/140GB free) or if I add a second HD and put 7 on it? Is one method better than the other?

Thanks.

A:Dual Boot Vista and Windows 7

hey , ive had no experience with two separate harddrives with two seperate os'es (one on each) but i can tell you in my opinion , creating a partition an using that for another os works well , like i said i cant vouch for two harddrives

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/276504-dual-boot-vista-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 73.96%

little problem well big
just happened five minutes ago i just uninstalled linux and loaded the MBR from Linux back to XP and deleted all the partitions required for that. I needed to install a piece of software that only works in XP so i created two partitions from my Vista partition for the XP

installed XP booted from cd bla bla installed without any errors BUT
i cant get into Vista anymore i checked the system boot settings and it only says XP and its deleted Vista is there a way of me getting that back.
any help cant you edit the boot settings etc?

thanks for reading

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-and-xp-dual-boot.662917/
Relevancy 73.96%

I've been getting BSoD on a very regular basis - the problem seems to occur whenever the PC is left unattended for longer than 30 mins. The PC boots very slowly and only after clicking F12 (on opening screen) to take me to boot menu. I have installed Uniblue Power Suite to clear errors, speed up the processes and assess state of drivers. Two drivers are supposedly out of date, but their replacement will not update successfully These are (1) Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers and (2) ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics.
RegWorks tells me I have numerous errors, but I am still waiting answers from them.
The attachment gives full details as requested, but typing in "Perfmon/report" gave zero results.
Can you help

A:Dual Boot Vista - Windows 7

Hello,
Start with a hard drive test with SeaTools:
Event[610]:
Log Name: System
Source: disk
Date: 2011-10-18T10:10:33.022
Event ID: 7
Task: N/A
Level: Error
Opcode: N/A
Keyword: Classic
User: N/A
User Name: N/A
Computer: Gordon-PC
Description:
The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.[/code]Also, open a command prompt and run:
Code:
chkdsk /r
Download the latest driver package from ATI's site and install it: support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

You might also run driver verifier: http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ed-473665.html

Finally, run the three Prime95 tests: Hardware - Stress Test With Prime95 - Windows 7 Forums

...Summary of the dumps:

Code:

Built by: 6002.18484.amd64fre.vistasp2_gdr.110617-0336
Debug session time: Wed Oct 19 14:08:54.327 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:15:34.703
Probably caused by : pci.sys
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x9F
PROCESS_NAME: System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_atikmdag_IMAGE_pci.sys
BiosReleaseDate = 04/24/2009
SystemProductName = Amilo Desktop PA3415A
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????``
Debug session time: Tue Oct 18 12:49:48.839 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:43:53.246
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x9F
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_IMAGE_atikmdag.sys
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????``
Debug session time: Tue Oct 18 04:48:15.881 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:20:00.231
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atapi.sys
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+2ef8a )
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x77_c000000e
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x77_c000000e_nt!_??_::FNODOBFM::_string_+2ef8a
Debug session time: Thu Oct 13 09:55:52.798 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 2:57:05.434
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Ntfs.sys
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+1cf99 )
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7a_c000000e
PROCESS_NAME: ccsvchst.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x7a_c000000e_nt!_??_::FNODOBFM::_string_+1cf99
Debug session time: Wed Oct 12 09:49:32.884 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:28:08.178
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+2ef8a )
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x77_c000000e
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x77_c000000e_nt!_??_::FNODOBFM::_string_+2ef8a
Debug session time: Tue Oct 4 07:04:21.586 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 2:04:48.106
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atapi... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/dual-boot-vista-windows-7-a-607283.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hello C Windows Vista I created a W partition which is GB and is the place for me to install Windows I boot via USB stick Goes fine I select partition etc Then I reboot and then it finishes the last stuff and then reboots again where it prepares the computer for the first time running Windows Goes well I come to the screen where it Dual-boot Windows with 7 Vista says quot Welcome quot but a few seconds later it says quot Shutting down quot - and reboots and then comes to a screen where it says quot Verifying DMI pool data quot and doesn t do anything more Just sits there No choice to select the Vista even Just goes straight to that message Now I ve tried to install it again and booted into Vista and still need to go into Windows where it gotta finish the installation but the same thing happens I m sure I tried times Any solution anybody By the way computer specials Need more information Please say so Exactly what I did Code Made partition on GB and assigned the letter W Transferred the Windows to my USB stick and made it bootable Rebooted the computer and booted from the USB stick Came to the Windows install screen Installed the Windows on partition W It rebooted automaticly and then went to where I can choose wether to go on Vista or Windows There was Windows listed but went same place I chose Windows It made the final installment Rebooted I chose Windows again It said that it was preparing the computer for Dual-boot Windows 7 with Vista the first time running this OS or something along those lines Made something The screen quot Welcome Dual-boot Windows 7 with Vista quot came up A few seconds after this message came up quot Shutting down quot It rebooted Went to quot Verifying DMI Pool data quot where it hang There was no Vista or Windows list anymore Dual-boot Windows 7 with Vista nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-windows-7-with-vista.137423/
Relevancy 73.96%

I've been dual booting between vista and linux for a while, but not really using linux at all, so I recently installed windows xp x64 on the linux disk for some program that was giving me grief in vista.

And now I can't boot into vista, upon booting it says "Error Loading Operating System". I've tried startup repair on the vista disc, fixmbr using the recovery console on the XP disc and resetting the BIOS values.

I can't get it to work does anyone have any ideas?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (overclocked to 3.4 GHz)
Vista x86 SP1 on 500 GB SATA disk
Windows XP x64 SP2 on 120 GB IDE disk
Mobo: ASUS P5k-E (WiFi AP)
2 GB DDR2-800 OCZ RAM
ATI HD3650

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Windows Dual Boot, Vista disk won't boot

read up on this http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...step_guide.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-dual-boot-vista-disk-wont-boot-305803.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi everyone! I have heard that there are many driver problems in Windows Vista. A friend of mine has a laptop with Vista Home Premium and it can not read CDs and DVDs! The laptop is bought last week! I have Windows XP SP2 and I am thinking about getting it transformed into ..."Vista", but I fear possible CPU problems. It is not a good idea, is it? But there is another choice: dual-boot XP and Vista. So, I made this poll for you to help me, if you want. Which choice is better? Thanks!

A:Windows Vista, Vista Emulator Or Dual Boot?

That would depend entirely on your system...For example how much RAM do you have installed? What type of processor do you have? How new is your system (older systems don't handle Vista well)? Whether you are able to get compatible drivers for all of your printers and other goodies that will work for both Vista and XP (if going to try Dual-Boot). There are a lot of things to consider.

Myself, I'll just stay with XP...I kinda' like it....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/152878/windows-vista-vista-emulator-or-dual-boot/
Relevancy 73.1%

I am trying to remove Windows from my system For humor's sake I am having too many compatibility Windows Removing dual-boot 7 7/Vista from issues with Windows so for the sake of disk space I am removing Removing Windows 7 from dual-boot 7/Vista Windows I am currently set with dual-boot Windows Ultimate and Windows Vista Ultimate on two separate hard drives Windows is installed on C and Vista is on D I am comfortable with losing all the data on the C drive however after some research I have some concerns I noticed that there is a system folder named quot Boot quot on C that doesn't exist on D This concerns me I'm thinking the D drive would not boot the system by simply formatting C and switching the cables Could I simply copy the quot Boot quot folder to D I realize that there would be some boot manager editing required however I don't know what changes to make Though I am comfortable with making those changes if I knew which changes to make I have used the bcdedit command previously but simply re-typed what was already written Could anyone help me with this I do not want to turn a 'congested' system into a 'non-working' system I am running a Lenovo ThinkCentre M -Y U with a Pentium It is an OEM build Vista is running sp though I am unsure about I could find out if necessary I would greatly appreciate any advice Thanks

A:Removing Windows 7 from dual-boot 7/Vista

After you delete your W/7 partition, boot off of the Vista DVD and choose Repair Your Computer. This will do bootcfg for you and editing out the W/7 from the boot file.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-windows-7-from-dual-boot-7-vista-615694.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have an HP quad core machine with OEM Vista Home Premium -bit installed It has never been connected to the internet only my home network since I have only used it for video editing and a few other particular tasks that do not require internet access with to 32-bit, existing 64-bit 7 ?s How Windows Vista dual boot and My thinking was that by keeping it quot virgin quot How to dual boot Windows 7 64-bit with existing Vista 32-bit, and ?s I would maintain fast boot times and that out-of-the-box snappiness Set it up with several specific types of software remove everything that isn't important like AV software and only install things via USB when necessary For three years I've succeeded and the box is as fast as the day I set it up It sits sequestered in its tower still wearing its chastity belt oblivious to the evils How to dual boot Windows 7 64-bit with existing Vista 32-bit, and ?s of the outside world Unfortunately my main online machine Vista -bit just suffered the indignity of a failed motherboard It's not worth repairing Luckily the hard drive is intact Here is my plan of action I'd like to know if it makes sense if it's doable and if so the best way to go about it I'd like to set up a dual boot system A year ago I purchased a full Windows installation using the student discount available at the time My virgin machine is capable of handling W -bit so I'd like to install that have already downloaded the ISO and burned it to a dvd What I want to do is throw in an entirely new hard drive and install W -bit on it I would then leave the Vista -bit existing installation intact and untouched I would end up with three SATA drives in the HP tower -- main drive with the existing virgin OEM Vista installation brand-new drive on which I would install W -bit drive I pulled from my dead Vista -bit machine including lots of data and settings I would gradually set up the W to mirror what I was doing on the machine that just died I still have access to all of the important settings I need on the hard drive When I want to do my regular stuff on the net I'll use the new W -bit installation When I want to do the video and photo stuff I've been doing the last three years I'll boot to the virgin Vista installation maybe even unplugging from the net while doing so So can I do this Will I maintain the snappiness of my current setup by making sure that when I boot to the existing Vista install that I stay offline If all answers are yes how do I do it For example do I just install a new hard drive and then tell the machine to boot to the dvd drive and then install W to that new drive from there If so how does the dual boot part of it go or is it automatic and I'll be asked each time I turn on the machine Sorry for the longwindedness and thank you in advance for any replies

A:How to dual boot Windows 7 64-bit with existing Vista 32-bit, and ?s

could we get some info on the hardware involved? Cpu, ram, etc?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/172546-how-dual-boot-windows-7-64-bit-existing-vista-32-bit-s.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Firstly thanks for all the tutorials - made life relatively straightforward Starting point - Windows Vista bit PC and Windows bit PC Bought an upgrade and downloaded Windows Pro on the bit machine Saved the install media to a iso Burned a DVD Now over to the bit Vista - Vista with boot 8 32 trying dual to Windows bit Upgrade PC Bought a Windows 8 Upgrade - trying to dual boot with Vista 32 bit shiny new TB drive and replaced the old GB drive which contained Vista Did a clean Windows 8 Upgrade - trying to dual boot with Vista 32 bit install of W Pro and after a refresh it accepted the product key So far so good although I have Windows 8 Upgrade - trying to dual boot with Vista 32 bit had a minor problem trying to install a bit application which ran O K on W bit but complained it couldn't find libcairo- dll in W bit Anyway now to go for multiple boots Installed Ububtu bit which give me the grub boot manager This installed O K and I tried booting bot W and Ubuntu and this worked fine O K - try using grub to boot Vista Re-fitted the GB drive Used Parted Magic CD to set up a new NTFS partition on the end of the disc then invoked Clonezilla to clone the partition from the old drive to new Fired up Ubuntu and ran update-grub and now I can see the Vista partition However when I tried to boot Vista the system just hung with a blank black screen and a flashing cursor top left Further reading suggests that I was over optimistic it is a long time since I dual booted Windows systems and that I can't do it the way because to dual boot Windows you need one master Windows system which holds the booting details for all Windows systems to be booted Trying to find the very useful article but can't ATM So I seem to be left with a Vista partition that I can't boot However as I don't have much invested in the new systems I can easily trash everything and start again So Will refreshing Windows pick up the fact that there is another partition Will re-installing Windows pick up Vista O K Or will I have to scrub the disc clone the old disc to new and confirm Vista boots then install Windows to a partition further down the disk One strange thing - when I look at the options for managing the boot menu I see only one OS listed but that is Windows Vista not Windows When I look at the grub menu it correctly lists Windows and Windows Vista Windows boots fine from grub using the Windows option So another puzzle - why is it listing the OS as Windows Vista The ISO was downloaded and burned under W bit Windows was a clean install on a brand new disc Did the attempt to boot Vista write something to the W boot area Anyway I'd like to be able to boot Vista for a while until I an happy that I've migrated everything to W W seems a lot faster than Vista on the same PC although I have a newer more powerful HDD and is quite useable now I have installed classic menus I could put the old drive back and select boot priority in the BIOS to change booting but I would prefer to have everything on the one disc Also I have plans for the old HDD Cheers LGC

A:Windows 8 Upgrade - trying to dual boot with Vista 32 bit

You can do a clean install, but you need to delete the Windows Vista install.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-d...ws-8-eula.html

Originally Posted by Microsoft

What about upgrading the software? The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded. After you complete your upgrade, additional software will be required to playback or record certain types of media, including DVDs.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/23168-windows-8-upgrade-trying-dual-boot-vista-32-bit.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Okay so I set up a new partition on my hard drive to boot Windows 7 from, so that I could have both Vista and Win7 on my laptop. However, is there a way that Windows 7 can use all of the programs and files I already have in my Vista partition? I can manually go over and start them..... but they aren't on my "Programs" list in Windows 7 or the start menu or anything... is there any way to automatically integrate all my files/programs with both my operating systems? I don't think I should have to download two instances of google chrome or firefox....... you know? Any insight would be appreciated.... I am new to dual booting. This is is the first OS i have ever installed myself.

A:Windows Vista and Seven dual boot...... programs?

hi tommy, welcome to the forums!

i'm afraid you will have to install your software onto your new windows 7 partition.

you can still access your files; but, to use your programs on your new OS, you've got to install them...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/18399-windows-vista-seven-dual-boot-programs.html
Relevancy 73.1%

My Dell Studion PC computer orginally came with Vista installed. I created an additional partition and installed Windows 7 Home Premium (32bit) on the new partition and until very recently I was able to boot into either OS. I have the Windows 7 as the default but now when I select the Vista OS from the boot menu the computer fails to boot into Vista and reboots. It then gives me a repair option but nothing happens when I select this option - the only working boot option is Windows 7.

How can I repair the Vista installation without upsetting the dual boot menu (and my ability to boot into Windows 7 which is my primary OS)? I have both the original Vista recovery CD from Dell and the Windows 7 installation DVD (full version).

A:Dual Boot Vista and Windows 7 Failure

I would suggest as a start you boot into win7 and run chkdsk /f on the vista partition to make sure of file and disk integrity

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-boot-vista-and-windows-7-failure-580339.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Does anyone know if this is possible. I already had a look around in brinks tutorials and came up empty. Thansk everyone.
Ben

A:Dual boot original Vista with Windows 7?

Hello Ben,

Yes. You would just need to have Vista installed first, then do a clean install of Windows 7 on another hard drive or partion.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/2148-dual-boot-original-vista-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have a four year old eMachines that has expired and isn't worth repairing. I would like to use the OEM Windows XP Home restore disc from this computer to dual-boot my Vista machine (HP Pavilion a1730n). Is this:

1. possible?
2. ethical?

I want to do this because I can't use many of my programs on the Vista machine. If I can dual-boot the eMachines restore disc I can use Windows Home until vendors catch up with Vista.

I don't know anything about dual-booting; is there a site where I get full instructions, including partitioning?

Can it be done without re-loading Vista?

Relevancy 73.1%

Have a Windows 7 Home Premium laptop, and just got a full install Vista Home Basic CD. Would like to keep W7, and also install Vista for a dual boot on the same hard drive.

Found the following guidance:
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista

The following is noted, though: Whatever OS you install last will be the OS listed first in the Windows Boot Manager screen at startup.

Is there a way to have Windows 7 listed first?

Thanks for your help!

A:Installing Vista after Windows Seven for Dual Boot

You can try installing EasyBCD 2.02 to Win7, delete the Vista entry, then Add it again. EasyBCD 2.0.2 - NeoSmart Technologies. But no guarantees.

It doesn't really matter if you set the default OS at Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup, with about a 5 second timeout since you'll probably already know if you want to boot the other OS and be ready.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/199302-installing-vista-after-windows-seven-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have an Acer Aspire 5349 Laptop. It came preloaded with Win7 Home Premium x64. I got adventurous and dual-booted with a Vista Ultimate x64 installation on the same hard drive, with 2 partitions. It all works flawlessly, but my experimenting is over, i'm bored, and need my hard drive space back, and want to delete the Vista Partition.

Basically, from Win7, using Disk Management, can i simply delete the partition from the G: (vista) Drive, delete the volume, and then Extend my win7 partition back onto the unallocated space, or do I need to use a third-party software?

Also, will i need to do anything as far as repairing the Windows 7 boot? I know that Vista and 7 share a boot file, so if I delete the Vista partition, will the Win7 boot automatically fix itself, or will i be unable to start up?

Thanks in advance,
Bryce

A:Windows 7 and Vista Dual Boot Removal

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

If you want to do things properly please check this tutorial: Dual Boot - Delete a OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/222260-windows-7-vista-dual-boot-removal.html
Relevancy 73.1%

OK, I have Vista and Windows 7 installed on two different partitions...

I want to get rid of Vista, and was told to remove the boatloader...

So I'm using "VistaBootPRO", and it presents me with two options...

Which one do I choose?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong sub-forum...I wasn't sure where to post this.

A:Vista / Windows 7 - Dual boot - Bootloader?

Here is an artical on removing Vista from a dual boot system John Barnett's Windows Vista Support: Remove Windows Vista from A Dual Boot System Hope this will help.In the artical it refers to going back to a previous version of windows after the loader is deleted, but I don't see why it wouldn't allow a newer version OS install. Fabe

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/31904-vista-windows-7-dual-boot-bootloader.html
Relevancy 73.1%

What I wanted Right here is my situation I have been running Windows Vista for about years off of HDD's in RAID and I just got a GB SSD which I wanted to install Windows on it and still be able to dual boot my Vista from my RAIDED drives And then shrink the partition on my RAIDED drives to roughly and create a new partition on them for my Windows install to also be able to use to install programs and files on Vista in and RAID0 Dual Windows & HDD's 7 boot 2x SSD Which I was told elsewhere is totally possible Windows Install When installing Windows on my SSD I couldn't get it to install with the SATA MODE in the BIOS set to RAID it would say quot cannot install to this disc check if its enabled in BIOS quot So I had to set it to AHCI MODE which worked so I unplugged every drive in my system and installed Windows on the SSD like this Problem So the problem is when I plug my RAIDED drives back in they will only boot Dual boot Windows 7 & Vista on SSD and 2x HDD's in RAID0 when the MODE in the BIOS is set to RAID but then the Windows on the SSD doesn't boot as that only boots when the MODE is set Dual boot Windows 7 & Vista on SSD and 2x HDD's in RAID0 to AHCI In my BIOS the SSD is only visible in AHCI MODE my RAID drives are visible in both MODES but as Intel Array in RAID MODE and as seperate drives in AHCI mode So I am in a bit of a pickle and not sure what to do I don't mind have to change the SATA MODE settings in the BIOS to dual boot back and forth but will I be able to shrink and re-partition the RAID drive so Windows can use them With the MODE set to AHCI I can boot to Windows from the SSD and after installing the Intel Rapid Maxtrix Storage Controller I can access most files on the RAID array so it does detect the RAID array even when its set to AHCI but will not boot the RAID array in this MODE I fear the problem may be with my BIOS Motherboard or the Storage Drivers as the RAID mode should be able to support a RAID array aswell as a stand alone drives using AHCI But for me it seems when I enable RAID MODE AHCI fails to work on the SSD This could be because I installed it on the AHCI MODE but thats all I could do My system Abit IP- motherboard Intel Core Duo E GB DDR x GB Western Digital in RAID booting with VISTA for about years x GB NEW Corsair SSD with Windows on it x GB Western Digital Storage drive currently unplugged

A:Dual boot Windows 7 & Vista on SSD and 2x HDD's in RAID0

I would copy my files out of the RAID to import to Win7, then when you're finished with Vista un-RAID it's HD's to use for storage, User folders, backup image, etc. There isn't any reason to keep Vista.

User Folders - Change Default Location
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/134415-dual-boot-windows-7-vista-ssd-2x-hdds-raid0.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have Vista Vista in 7 Dual Windows with Removing a Boot on a separate disk from Windows Windows is on one of my partitions on the disk I tried to format the disk with vista by going in to My Computer and right clicking on the Removing Vista in a Dual Boot with Windows 7 disk and formating it like that but it says that Windows was unable to complete the format I unchecked quick format and put the allocation to default instead of bytes I'm doing it this way because Removing Vista in a Dual Boot with Windows 7 when I go to disk management it keeps loading but nothing is shown I have had it open for a long time now and still nothing is showing All it says is quot Loading disk configuration quot When I close Disk Management and open it again it stays at quot Connection to Virtual Disk Service quot Virtual Disk Service is set to start manually and it is started Is there any other way I can format the disk or do I have to do it this way I still want Disk Management to work though EDIT I did some searching and I found out what the allocation unit size is Is it better for me to decrease the allocation unit size if I'm using the disk as a backup

A:Removing Vista in a Dual Boot with Windows 7

Download and burn free Partition Wizard bootable CD, boot it, select 1 for screen res, rightclick Win7, Modify>Set to Active, OK.

Now rightclick Vista to Delete, OK., Apply all steps.

Set Win7 as first HD to boot (after DVD) in BIOS setup.

Next boot the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD, click through to Recovery Tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots to write the MBR to Win7.

If Disk Management will still not open, run sfc /scannow as Admin. If this fails, then run a Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95374-removing-vista-dual-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello,

I am satisfied as of now with Vista and I would like to remove my XP dual boot.

So to clarify I would like to keep Vista as my main OS, while deleting the other OS, XP of my other hard drive.

I want to make sure I do this correctly and have seen many ways to "do it" however I have read many that have led to some problems, so I thought I would come here, where I have and immense amount of trust with this community.

XP was installed first followed by Vista.

Vista Specs:
64 bit Vista Ultimate, Service Pack 2

Any help is always appreciated.

A:Windows Vista - Dual Boot Removal Help

Anyone have any ideas about the proper way to do this with out causing any harm to the other OS?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-vista-dual-boot-removal-help-501283.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hey,

I have no sound on my Windows Vista and XP Dual Boot PC.

I have tried to install the drivers for the sound but it comes up with an error.

Thanks
deanpcmad

A:No Sound On Dual Boot With Windows Vista

Please post what the error says in it's entirety
Mark

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/124110/no-sound-on-dual-boot-with-windows-vista/
Relevancy 73.1%

Evening All First post here but as with most members Google led me here because I'm having some PC issues so I thought I'd get some advice here if no-one minds I have a Dell Vostro PC - it has and Vista Dual Boot Windows 7 Issues SATA HDDs and a DVD Drive The Windows Vista and 7 Dual Boot Issues original default OS was Vista Home Premium Recently I wanted to try out Windows Ultimate so I decided to set up a secondary partition on my primary HDD to install Win there to test before taking the plunge with a full upgrade This worked fine - I created the partition in Vista defined it as the Y drive and successfully installed Windows there no issue All was well and I could dual boot both although I have to say I mainly used the Vista install with the occasional Win test However in the last hours things have gone very wrong and now neither installation works Strangely nothing has been installed or changed on the machine yesterday to trigger this If I attempt to boot into Vista I get a Winload exe error with error code xc telling me that winload exe is missing or corrupt Last night I managed to get past this error once and Windows Vista and 7 Dual Boot Issues into safe mode to perform a virus check but since then it constantly cycles with the same error when booting or attempting to access advanced boot options If I attempt to boot into Windows I get a bar saying Windows files loading and then the machine reboots without loading further Same again if I try to access Advanced Boot Options for Windows Things I've tried so far are Booted from Vista Install disk and peformed a start-up repair - didn't resolve issue Booted from Vista Install disk and run a chkdsk f - didn't resolve issue Booted from Vista Install disk and from cmd prompt copied winload exe back to system from system boot - didn't resolve issue Booted from Win Install disk and performed a start-up repair - didn't resolve issue Now having read thru some of the other info out there I'm aware they're more things that I can try revolving around bcdedit exe and bootrec exe but as neither windows install is currently working I'm not sure in what order to fix and which I should try first I'd rather do a repair install for Vista as a last resort but that is also an option if needed I also have a sneaky suspicion this maybe hardware related but I'd like to get the machine backup and running before I make any HW changes Thanks in advance for all help and advice

A:Windows Vista and 7 Dual Boot Issues

According to a quick google search here's what you should do:

Boot to your Vista Recovery CD

A) Run a repair installation

B) Go to the Command Prompt section and run the following commands:

Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
winload.exe is missing or corrupt (no it's not!)

For future reference, System Restore and Repair Installations will fix most system related problems.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95665-windows-vista-7-dual-boot-issues.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have an electronic organizer that will only run up through Windows XP, and that will back up my contacts only up through Outlook 2002. I have been told that I need to dual-boot my Compaq Presario SR5710Y that came with Windows Vista pre-installed. I have already purchased Windows XP in preparation of this, and after successfully doing this, purchase Office XP (version 2002) for the same reason. I would like to find the best, most user friendly way to do this. Help!

Relevancy 73.1%

I have RAID 0 on two hardrives booting up 64 bit Win 7 running as SATA 0 and SATA 1. I have a third drive on SATA 2 from my previous Dell XPS which booted 32 bit Windows XP. How can I set up the system to give me a choice of either system?

Although Win 7 64 bit is faster, many of the 32 bit XP software programs will not run very well on Win 7 and in addition Win 7 doesn't allow the setting of of shortcuts the way XP does which means that Win 7 inevitably requires two key strokes to XP's one stroke.

The ability to have a choice of starting with Win 7 or XP would be very helpful.
Thanks
Michael

A:Dual boot choice of Win 7 and XP on different drives

The cleanest method of dual booting when you have separate HD's is to set preferred OS HD to boot first in BIOS setup, then boot the other OS HD when needed using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.

If this isn't to your liking you can install EasyBCD 2.02 to Win7 set as first to boot, then add XP accepting offered boot files, Save, Reboot to Dual Boot menu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/207120-dual-boot-choice-win-7-xp-different-drives.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Greetings

I just installed windows 7 ultimate on my pc.
i already had xp32 and vista 64 business on a dual boot on the same HDD before installing windows 7.
during windows 7 install, I selected the xp32 partition, formatted it and installed windows 7 over the top as I no longer wanted xp32.

When the windows 7 install was complete I expected to see a dual boot screen with
option 1. windows 7
and option 2. vista64

unfortunatelty i have no dual boot options, the pc now just goes straight into windows 7. It doesnt sem to know that vista is there.

i would appreciate assistance in getting a dual boot set up with vista64 and windows 7

Thanks
Phil

A:lost dual boot with vista after windows 7 install

I used easybcd to fix the boot problem
read about it on this forum.

Phil

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/11978-lost-dual-boot-vista-after-windows-7-install.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have attached the screen shot from Disk Manager which shows how I installed Windows on a machine that origianally ran Vista After I used Windows I have not used Vista for over a year so I moved Removing Windows From Vista dual 7 Solved: boot the Windows to the start of the HDD using Partition wizard and some instructions on the web I now want to delete all the vista files and stop the dual boot getting the PC to go straight in to Windows Grateful for any help - searching the web showed dual boot but with as the secondary OS and Solved: Removing Vista From Windows 7 dual boot not the primary Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Quad CPU Q GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - Solved: Removing Vista From Windows 7 dual boot MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P Q-PRO Antivirus Norton Internet Security Updated and Enabled Many thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Removing Vista From Windows 7 dual boot

Click the Start orb - type run into the search box - type msconfig in the run box - Boot tab - you can set the Windows 7 to be default and delete any other entries.

I don't know where the Vista is, but note that your Master Boot Record is in that partition Windows has labeled "E" in your first screen shot. If you are going to delete or format that partition you should make the Windows 7 partition be the 'System" one and use your installation DVD to repair the MBR.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-removing-vista-from-windows-7-dual-boot.1036060/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Vista laptop with xp and Vista installed because I do not want to give up xp, I enjoy it to much. I wanted to try Windows 7 so I set it up in a "triple boot" fashion. Vista and Windows 7 works great, but xp will not boot. It says I have a missing or corrupt hal.dll. When I uninstall Windows 7 and restore my backed up bootloader settings Windows xp boots up. I want to keep trying 7 but I don't want to give up xp, can this problem be fixed?

A:Windows 7 install problem (Vista and XP dual boot)

Case 1: You have Dual Boot Win7 and XP/Vista and you lost the XP/Vista boot option at startup, but Win7 boots fine.

Solution:
1. Start Win7.

2. If you can see your XP/Vista partition in Computer, write down the drive letter (e.g. D:)

3. If you can't see the XP partition and you see all others but this one, open Control Panel - Adminstrative Tools - Computer Management -> Disk Management(left pane) and right-click the partition without a drive letter, choose "Change drive letters and paths" and assign a drive letter for the partition, e.g. D: .

4. Open an elevated command prompt and type the following lines followed by Enter for each line, changing the drive letter D: (in blue) with the one on your XP/Vista partition:

FOR RESTORING XP

Code:

bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"

bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=D:

bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast
FOR RESTORING VISTA

Code:

bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Windows Vista"
(You will get a response saying that a new {UUID} was created successfully.
Write down or copy the new UUID.)

Code:

bcdedit /set {place_new_UUID_here} device partition=D:

bcdedit /set {place_new_UUID_here} osdevice partition=D:
5. Done

Case 2: You have Dual Boot Win7 and XP/Vista and you lost the Win7 boot option at startup, but XP/Vista boots fine.

Solution:
1. Insert the Win7 Installation DVD and boot your computer with it (as if you were making an installation).
2. At the first screen , select your language etc and press enter.
3. At the second screen, click "Repair Computer" at the bottom left.
4. Wait until startup repair is finished and reboot.
5. Done. You can now boot Win7.

Case 3: You have restored booting Win7 using the Case 2 method or other way, but now you've lost XP/VISTA .

Solution: Follow Case 1 Solution.

Case 4: You want Win7/Mac Dual Boot.

Solution: Follow these instructions: OSX and Windows 7 Dual Boot

Hope it helps.

Limneos

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/5173-windows-7-install-problem-vista-xp-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I want to upgrade Vista to Windows 7, but without disturbing my Ubuntu installation, which is dual boot with Vista. I would prefer to do a clean install of Windows 7 over Vista, which has had niggling little issues (I resolve them and new ones appear) ever since I bought the pc. I don't have the recovery discs for Vista (the ones you make when you buy a new system) as they went missing during a major move.

What is the best way to accomplish all the above? Also, from what I understand, a clean installation can be done with an upgrade version of Windows 7 as long as a previous version of Vista or XP is already on the machine? I am not terribly confident when it comes to doing things like this, so would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

A:Installing Windows 7 over Vista on dual boot with Ubuntu

Is your Ubuntu installation on a partition on the same hard disk or on a seperate one?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/208480-installing-windows-7-over-vista-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Vista x64/Win7 x64 dual boot setup with Vista as the original OS. I'd now like to get rid of Vista and expand Win7's partition into Vista's old space. I have read up on this and have found lots of advice, some simple and some complicated. For example:

Simple: Remove Windows Vista From Dual Boot System

Complicated: complicated: Dual Boot - Delete a OS

Could anyone point me to the best tutorial on this (bearing in mind that I have 64-bit OSs). Many thanks!

Howard

A:How to properly remove Vista from dual boot with Windows 7?

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image
so we can give you the steps with certainty.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/353071-how-properly-remove-vista-dual-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Can you post a picture of the startup animation ?
It's been a while since I've seen a vista startup

A:Dual boot Windows 7/8.1 displays Vista startup

Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Can you post a picture of the startup animation ?
It's been a while since I've seen a vista startup

There you go. That's what it looks like, pretty much. Found it online since Print Screen won't work during startup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/375035-dual-boot-windows-7-8-1-displays-vista-startup.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Like an idiot, I clicked "Run As Administrator" when I meant to click "Scan For Virus" on a .exe file from a NewsGroup download in Windows 7. I have Vista on first Partition, which does not appear to be infected, but iexplor520.exe is in the root directory of the Vista installation. I restored both partitions from full backups taken the day before the accident, but the OBFUSCATOR and VIRUT infections keep getting detected by Microsoft Security Essentials every few minutes on the Windows 7 partition even after the restore, and numerous DLLs keep failing. Should I Format before restoring, and if so, how? I am sending this from the Vista side, where I am running a CA Anti-Virus scan, which hasn't found anything yet - not even the iexplor520.exe.

A:Virus on Windows 7 Side of Dual Boot with Vista

There is a good chance that the MBR is infected
The safest would be to wipe the drive and start over

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/271980/virus-on-windows-7-side-of-dual-boot-with-vista/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi I had Windows Vista in my laptop I thought of going for XP Vista Dual Boot I took XP CD and booted from it and installed XP in my D Vista / XP Attempt Dual Windows Failed Boot Drive Vista was in C Drive Later on I didn t see XP Vista Dual Boot option so Windows Vista / XP Dual Boot Attempt Failed I modified boot ini file and though I am able to see Vista option now but still Vista fails to boot XP is Windows Vista / XP Dual Boot Attempt Failed booting fine Pls solve the problem I think boot ini can be used to do the trick for dual boot But I don t want to keep XP if its not letting Vista boot if there s any method to roll back to Vista please help my boot ini reads as this --- boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition Windows quot Microsoft Windows Vista quot multi disk rdisk partition Windows quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect The line multi disk rdisk partition Windows quot Microsoft Windows Vista quot was added by myself when I press enter on it while booting Windows Vista says that its corrupted some file error like HAL DLL error etc Please help Windows Vista was working fine earlier thanx nbsp

A:Windows Vista / XP Dual Boot Attempt Failed

Windows Vista and windows XP use two different Bootloaders. The windows XP Bootloader has no support for loading windows vista, so use your windows vista dvd that came with the laptop to repair the vista bootloader. After it repaits it should let you boot into Vista but not windows XP. You then need to download a program Called EasyBCD which runs in windows Vista and edits the boot.ini file for you. It should detect windows xp partition and add it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-xp-dual-boot-attempt-failed.770784/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi I currently have Vista home premium installed on a partitioned SATA hard drive I want to install HDDs & Vista 7 boot Windows dual off 2 separate Windows H P on a new SATA hard drive that I want to partition as well Until I have a chance to move my files amp programs across to the new HD and dual boot Vista & Windows 7 off 2 separate HDDs for the added security of knowing I have an existing bootable HD I want to be able to boot off either the old Vista HD or W on the new HD In order to have an easy W install it s been suggested that I disconnect the old amp connect up the new HD before booting from the W installation CD After W has been installed I would then connect the old HD as well for the next reboot Is this good advice With SATA HDs I understand there is no master slave configuration to be set up Will I be able to dual boot either during the POST BIOS procedure or can I install a utility like EasyBCD on the new HD or both HDs Does EasyBCD then ask you at startup time to specify which OS you want to boot from I m a dual boot Vista & Windows 7 off 2 separate HDDs somewhat unclear on dual boot Vista & Windows 7 off 2 separate HDDs a few things so would appreciate any advice nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-vista-windows-7-off-2-separate-hdds.970163/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Windows XP Vista dual boot machine I have hard drives one contains the Windows XP operating system SATA the other Vista SATA I have decided to remove Windows XP For the moment I have just unplugged the XP drive that is on SATA and turned the SATA drive a Boot Windows Dual System Vista Removing XP from off in the bios Everything appears to boot fine although on initial boot up it takes about - seconds until the Vista boot screens appears almost as if the computer is searching for something I plan to format the XP drive and use it to store data My question is is this an appropriate way to remove XP from a dual boot configuration I am concerned that I Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System need to make changes to the Vista configuration but I am not sure One last note in my system I believe I installed Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System XP first then install added Vista to create a multiboot system I would appreciate any insight that you may have

A:Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System

the bootloader you are using is probably that of vista.. try booting with the vista dvd.. then go to command prompt.. type Bootrec.exe /FixMbr to fix vista's bootloader and try booting again..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-windows-xp-from-a-vista-dual-boot-system-211398.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello there!

I'm glad I found this forum. Two days ago I installed Windows 7 Ultimate(x64) on drive D partition in my Vista laptop. Vista is on drive C. Everything is ok except that when I boot into Windows 7, the drive letter is changed to C and Vista to D.But everything seems perfectly fine. Also when I boot into Vista the drive again turns to C and Windows 7 to D. What seems to be the problem?Any ideas please? I tried to change the drive letters to no avail.

regards,

jickis31

A:Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot With Vista x86 Wierd Problem

Quote: Originally Posted by jickis31

Hello there!

I'm glad I found this forum. Two days ago I installed Windows 7 Ultimate(x64) on drive D partition in my Vista laptop. Vista is on drive C. Everything is ok except that when I boot into Windows 7, the drive letter is changed to C and Vista to D.But everything seems perfectly fine. Also when I boot into Vista the drive again turns to C and Windows 7 to D. What seems to be the problem?Any ideas please? I tried to change the drive letters to no avail.

regards,

jickis31

Its no problem. that is the way it is supposed to be. Is it causing you any problems?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/122231-windows-7-x64-dual-boot-vista-x86-wierd-problem.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I am dual booting Vista and Windows7 RC 7100. They are both on the same Hard Drive on different partitions. I have made the decision to stick with the new OS (Windows7) and give Vista the boot. So I want to get rid of the extra partition and revert to a single OS (Windows7). I don?t want to reformat the whole hard drive and completely re-install the windows7 operating system. I want to remove Vista from the dual boot menu and keep windows7. Then I want to format the Vista Partition. How can I do this and keep my present installation of Windows7 without having to reinstall Windows7?

Hope this is explained clearly.

FyrmnJ in Philly

A:Remove Windows Vista From Dual Boot System

Right-click Computer -> Click Properties. On the left panel you should see "Advanced system settings". Click that. You should be brought to the system properties familiar to NT 5.0 and 5.1 (2000 and XP). Click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery box.

Vista and 7 no longer allow you to edit the boot file from here since it uses a newer boot system. This screen will still allow you to just boot straight to 7. Make sure the Default Operating System is set to 7. Uncheck "Time to display list of operating systems:" and hit OK. Now you won't SEE Vista as an option anymore.

Now it's time to REMOVE it. Right-click Computer -> Click Manage -> Select Disk Management. Vista and 7 use a separate partition for the boot record. DO NOT touch this partition. Find the partition Vista is on, right-click it, and click Delete Volume. Hit 'Yes' on the confirmation screen and you're done with Vista. You can now extend 7 onto that partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/15546-remove-windows-vista-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Found this guide.
Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP/Vista in three easy steps - TechSpot

A:Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP/Vista in three easy steps

Hello Romulinx2.

That's a good guide, thanks. Se7en Forums also has this video, please feel free to link others to it.

Windows 7 Forums - How to dual-boot Windows 7 BETA on a Vista computer

Later Ted

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/2615-dual-boot-windows-7-xp-vista-three-easy-steps.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I ran into same problem.
STOP: C0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}
The procedure entry point GdiGetBitmapBitSize could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll.

I read recommendation to use repair using original XP-CD. This doesn't work so far for the following reason:
I use XP professional on separate drive (D:). I installed VISTA later on different drive (same computer) for test purposes and VISTA wrote a dual boot loader on my Vista drive (C:). Everything worked ok. Until I installed SP3.

Once I try to use repair from XP-CD it doesn't recognise my XP drives, i.o.w. it doesn't use the VISTA boot loader.

I need my XP to run again, while VISTA is running as back up currently.

Any recommendations how to solve this problem and get my SP2 version up and running again?

A:Windows XP SP3 RC2 crashes dual boot with Vista. [Moved from XP]

The only solution is to do a 'Repair' Installation of Windows? XP™.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/windows-xp-sp3-rc2-crashes-dual-boot-with-vista-moved-from-xp-242614.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Dual booting windows 7 with 8.1.
I had that neat looking boot screen that came up giving me a choice and setting default.

Now it boots to a crummy looking F8 type screen every time and I have to make a choice.

Not a big deal but I'd like to fix it.

Pete

A:Lost dual boot choice screen

Hello Pete,

Using step 5 in the tutorial below should be able to help enable the modern UI boot screen again.

Startup Options - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/39440-lost-dual-boot-choice-screen.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I added a new HDD and formatted it with a second instance of Win7-64. Now, when I boot up, I get a menu that gives me a choice of the two Windows 7 OS's.
I would like to edit this file so it has more descriptive names. In fact, I would like to eliminate the menu altogether as I can control which drive boots using F8, which gives me a list of all my drives that I can choose from (assuming this is safe to do).

A:How to edit dual boot choice menu

This can be done quite easily using the BCDEDIT tool. See BCDEDIT - How to Use

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210080-how-edit-dual-boot-choice-menu.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi I have a problem with running Windows RC i think and XP on the same machine I previously had XP installations - one on the C drive for general useage and one on another drive for audio recording both are SATA My C drive XP has been slow and rubbish for a while and so I thought I would reinstall windows on that drive which I've done before a few times Then I Win7 XP + choice Dual invisible! boot thought I'd like to try Windows so I installed that During the installation I formatted the C drive looking back on it maybe not so clever - there was no data I needed on there but maybe I Win7 + XP Dual boot choice invisible! deleted important files and installed on there Now my problem is that I can boot into windows fine but I am having real difficulty in getting XP to work due to various things I have used easyBCD to try and sort out my OS choice at startup as per some walkthroughs on this forum When I reboot I have a strange problem where I cant see the screen where I choose the OS but I know its there because the computer waits for a bit unless I press enter to choose windows or down and enter to choose XP - so its there but not being displayed on screen That's not such a problem but when I choose XP from the OS select or what I assume is XP given that I can't see it the computer just restarts right from the beginning There was no ntldr in the D drive where the XP installation is so i copied it from the XP installation disk Also when I used to be able to get into the 'Studio' XP installation it thought the D drive was the I drive if you see what I mean If anyone can help me I would be so grateful Thanks Matthew

A:Win7 + XP Dual boot choice invisible!

Here are some screeshots which may help...

Thanks,
Matthew

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/17648-win7-xp-dual-boot-choice-invisible.html
Relevancy 72.24%

How-do!

I installed a disk, loaded XP , pulled it out, and now my existing HD with XP, the main disk for this machine, gives me an unwanted dual boot choice of two XP's. Apparently it noticed the second disk and that i had loaded XP on to it.

How do i get rid of the dual boot choice?

tanks.

A:Eliminate start-up dual boot choice

Vauge stirrings in the back of my mind.

Try this.
Start\Control panel\system

Advanced (tab)

Startup and recovery [settings]

You want to make changes to the top part system start up.

If your happy and understand what your doing then make the reqiured changes.

If on the other hand you're not confortable here. Then merely change the amout of time the options are displayed (default is 30 seconds.) Drop this down to a more manageable 5 seconds. When you happy with what the system will do if left unattednded. Then drop this to zero or turn it off.

Sure there is a full blown solution to this issue but I'm reluctant to ask you to edit your system master boot record.

The above solution is offered as a work about solution as a quick and easy fix.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/eliminate-start-up-dual-boot-choice-150473.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello My laptop came installed with Vista Home Premium bit which was at the end of its cycle It has worked very well runs very smoothly and I like it I also have the full-version of Windows Professional bit and have dual-booted it along with Vista My goal is to be able to use either operating system with both having access to folders files and programs stored in a central location I installed the MiniTool Partition Wizard to repartition my hard drive then installed Windows in order to experiment a bit Here is what the first partitioning & Sharing Programs? Dual-Boot Vista/Windows Folders 7: which I know is not correct looks like in order of appearance Vista boot view Local Disk Dual-Boot Vista/Windows 7: Sharing Folders & Programs? C GB free of GB Expansion Drive D GB free of GB RECOVERY E GB free of GB DVD RW Drive F Windows G GB free of GB My Passport H GB free of GB Windows boot view Windows C free of GB Local Disk D GB free of GB RECOVERY E GB free of GB Expansion Drive H GB free of GB My Passport I GB free of GB DVD RW Drive F What if possible would be the process so that I can use either OS to access my folders programs and such I wish to alleviate having to download duplicate programs or having to duplicate my Users folders and files for Windows I also want to keep the factory installed RECOVERY E partition where it is Would I need to do a clean install of Vista then reinstall Windows I have spent hours reading various forum threads and tutorials yielding very mixed opinions so I felt that it would be prudent to ask for suggestions which address my particular situation In a nutshell can I put Vista and on two separate partitions everything else on a third and have either OS be able to access all of the data from the third Thank you for your valuable time Eric

A:Dual-Boot Vista/Windows 7: Sharing Folders & Programs?

What you want to do is not possile, because the apps would need to be installed under both OSes to get registry settings correct. There's little need to actually dual-boot anymore, so what is it you are trying to accomplish? Why not just run Windows 7 x64 and virtualize anything else you need?

The purpose of dual-booting, when it was still relevant, was to keep the systems isolated from each other for testing purposes or backwards compatibility. What you seem to want breaks the very point of dual-booting.

My solution is to keep things simple, aka K.I.S.S. Just use one host OS, and if you burn your recovery disks, you can do away with the recovery partition as well. It doesn't make sense to store your backup/recovery method on the one part that is most likely to die.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/214529-dual-boot-vista-windows-7-sharing-folders-programs.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Well i am currently running Vista Home Premium sp2 and Windows 7 Ultimate (build 7100) in a dual boot config for about 2-3months and loving it. I was wondering if i could upgrade my Win7 install to RTM without affecting my Vista install? Do you get a choice which OS you want to upgrade or does it go by what OS you load the upgrade disc from?

A:Windows 7 upgrade install on Win7/Vista dual boot

You can upgrade, but you will need to repair your MBR with BartPE or a similar program.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/22251-windows-7-upgrade-install-win7-vista-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I just purchased a new video card for my old Acer M that I dual boot the original Vista Windows Vista Card Boot. 7 Drivers Video but Dual not in New work and Windows on I bought a new Asus Nvidia GeForce GT video card to play Skyrim Windows will install the drivers with absolutely no error messages but upon rebooting they won't load and I'm stuck with basic VGA I booted out and back to Vista and loaded New Video Card Drivers work in Vista but not Windows 7 Dual Boot. them and they installed fine as well and upon rebooting into Vista they actually load My Windows install is a recent clean install because I tried upgrading to Windows and didn't do a clean install and it borked itself on all my legacy hardware Does anyone know why a clean install won't load new video card drivers but my old Vista install loads them fine Yet another reason not to abandon the Vista Beast Vista is the last OS that recognizes my Rio Karma MP Players Before anyone asks Yes I downloaded the latest drivers for Windows Pro Bit directly New Video Card Drivers work in Vista but not Windows 7 Dual Boot. from Nvidias website and installed them and still get a quot No GPU detected quot message when trying New Video Card Drivers work in Vista but not Windows 7 Dual Boot. to run the NVidia software that comes with the drivers NVidia Driver Version

A:New Video Card Drivers work in Vista but not Windows 7 Dual Boot.

Hi, try to update your motherboard drivers....

Also post your complete pc specification please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/268899-new-video-card-drivers-work-vista-but-not-windows-7-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello everyone Heres my problem Dual connectivity leads with to 2003 Windows Vista and boot Server no network I am a student helping manage a student lab at my current college Right now my teacher wants me to install a Master Virtual Machine IE Dual boot with Windows Server 2003 and Vista leads to no network connectivity Virtual Box that contains a daul boot of Windows Server and Windows Vista for an IT class It works beautifully when I boot into both operating systems I have a problem now when I boot into Windows Server I get network connectivity and can go to google However when I boot to Vista on the Virtual machine it will not get any network connectivity and says that I need a wireless connection Dual boot with Windows Server 2003 and Vista leads to no network connectivity when my network connection is cable only I have tried to switching to a Bridged Connection on VirtualBox because I thought that was the problem but it was not So I switched the VirtualBox Network type back to NAT That still did not work Now I am stumped What is the problem Can anyone help me with this situation My Dual boot with Windows Server 2003 and Vista leads to no network connectivity host machine has connectivity and all the hardware is properly configured Keep in mind I am running a Dual boot of Windows Server and Windows Vista on a Virtual Machine

A:Dual boot with Windows Server 2003 and Vista leads to no network connectivity

What does Vista Device Manager say - any red/ yellow flags?
Does it show Ethernet connection?
Vista SP2 drivers installed?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-boot-with-windows-server-2003-and-vista-leads-to-no-network-connectivity-555726.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Dual boot system with Win7 on C:/ and XP on D:/

I want to create an image of D:/ so that I may install a bootable XP system on a new HD, should D:/ fail.

I'm trying to use Win7 Backup to make the image. It will not allow me to chose JUST the XP drive to image. It has both C:/ and D:/ checked and I can't uncheck C:/.

Is there anyway to specify which HD to image with Win7?

A:Win7 backup not allowing choice of HD to image on dual boot system

As the the boot files are on C: you will need to backup both drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/185504-win7-backup-not-allowing-choice-hd-image-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I am going to purchase a new laptop. This laptop will be mainly used as a gaming computer. The video card in the system will be a G8600M GT. I was wondering which would be the best choice for my system. Windows XP or Windows Vista. I seem to understand Vista has many problems. I am torn between going safe with Windows XP or look out for the future and get Windows Vista. I am not quite fully informed on the issues on Vista so I am unsure if it would be a major problem. Windows Vista would be cleanly installed off a brand new system.....if that makes a difference. Thanks

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi I bought HP laptop with the above said model from HP on st of september in sweden but i want to install Orcad v on my laptop but this software is compatible only for upto windows server or previous version of microsoft operating systems so when i want to install windows XP operating system i couldn t able to install since it was saying that it didnt recognize the hard dv6500 pavilion boot operating vista dual lapt a with HP on system installing windows disk and its necessary drivers in hard disk as well since I bought this laptop only to use orcad v version latest version as my primary need when i approached their service point they said it is not possible and you can find it in our website also about non compatibility of the other operating systems even it is from microsoft installing a dual boot windows operating system with vista on HP pavilion dv6500 lapt also but they did not say while i am buying laptop from them about the compatibility of other operating system it is due to faith on HP laptops but now they say that it will not then it is of o use to installing a dual boot windows operating system with vista on HP pavilion dv6500 lapt buy laptop from HP since they are controlling the freedom of choice of choosing operating system to use on HP laptops by the customer It is simply cheating the customer if any body suggests about how to get hardware drivers to install on HP laptop it would be a great help for me thanks and regards vasu nbsp

A:installing a dual boot windows operating system with vista on HP pavilion dv6500 lapt

Try and read this.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-85807-HP-Pavilion-dv6565ca-HD-SATA-driver.html

It mentions finding the intel SATA driver, putting it on a floppy, and pressing F6 during the WinXP install and loading the SATA drivers.
Then WinXP installer should find the hard drive.

However if you want to keep Vista around, you will have to resize your partition before attempting to install XP.
To do this you would need Partition Magic or GParted.

Then when you do install XP you have no guarantee that you will be able to find drivers for everything. Since HP doesn't seem to want to support XP, you will probably have to try installing drivers from the hardware makers. For example if the motherboard uses an Intel chipset, you will need the reference drivers from intel. I think it uses a GeForce video chipset, so you would need drivers from Nividia. You would also need ethernet drivers from whoever made the network chipset.
Its going to be a bit of searching.

If you can return it, try and find someone still making xp laptops, or at least still offering drivers for the hardware if you choose to install xp.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-a-dual-boot-windows-operating-system-with-vista-on-hp-pavilion-dv6500-lapt.625859/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello Friends I recently re-installed windows in my D drive Boot just Showing having two when one windows, Choice Menu earlier it was also installed there but due to some errors I had to do it when i was installing during setup it was showing drive C as primary i formatted the whole drive d and re-installed the windows bit i must also mention here that after the installation completed and I log on to windows it changed the drive letter from d to c and and the other one which was showing c in setup menu had no drive letter i had to go to the disk management to assign it a letter Now i m getting a OS choice menu giving me two options one is windows and the other earlier version of windows and when i select the earlier Boot Choice Menu Showing two windows, when having just one verison nothing comes up just a black screen and windows runs just fine i donot have a second os that is for sure and I also checked in msconfig's quot Boot quot menu as stated in other posts There too i have only one windows showing up i e Windows Please help me to get rid of this problem i can provide any screenshots if you need it for solving

A:Boot Choice Menu Showing two windows, when having just one

Hello bhavleen singh, welcome to Seven Forums!

Before we make any specific recommendations will you please post a snip/screen-shot of the entire disk management drive map with a full description as to which drive/partition is which, so we can see what you have going on as there may be a fairly simple way to resolve the situation.

In the Windows start menu right click computer and click manage, in the left pane of the "Computer Management" window that opens click disk management and post a maximized snip of that.
How to Upload and Post a Screenshot and File in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/173129-boot-choice-menu-showing-two-windows-when-having-just-one.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I on my Windows disk choice XP boot 7 installed have bootable drives Two for XP and one should be for W I had one of my XP disks as first in BIOS when I installed Windows Now when I start from my XP disk I get to choose between W and quot other OS quot This works But if I try to boot directly from my W disk it says quot no boot manager quot or something such I think I can fix the missing Windows 7 installed boot choice on my XP disk boot manager in W disk but where is that extra choice screen in XP I checked boot ini and could not see it Here is my XP boot ini Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT c CMDCONS BOOTSECT DAT quot Microsoft Windows Recovery Console quot CMDCONS I think there is only one OS mentioned Nice to see this forum is up Last time I was here was

A:Windows 7 installed boot choice on my XP disk

Install Easy BCD boot manager for multiple boot options.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-7-installed-boot-choice-on-my-xp-disk-612108.html
Relevancy 67.51%

So I wiped out this Windows XP Home Edition computer and reinstalled. During the installation process I deleted the existing partitions and had them redone. But now when I boot the computer it's saying that I have two installations of Windows XP Home Edition. How do I remove the old one?

A:Reinstall of Windows XP Home Edition Double Choice During Boot

Right click My Computer/Advanced/Start up and Recovery/Settings/Edit

- Make a back up of the current boot ini

- Remove the redundant OS - Not the default OS which is what you should be in.:haha:

- Save

Read carefully THIS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reinstall-of-windows-xp-home-edition-double-choice-during-boot.92839/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello all new here my pc config is intel Dual XP dual boot no boot then but tried Solved: installed boot options Vista quad gb ram gb hd OS is XP Pro with SP Okay I heard people speek highly of Vista and no so highly so I decided to give it a shot and make my own decision XP was installed a few weeks ago and is on disk gig partition created another for E Vista Ultimate and have unallocated for now My other drive is just for games At first I used Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options the remaining for Vista the first time Everything loaded fine was online with Vista was updating drivers and then I rebooted Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options to finish the install for some drivers and the boot options never came up it booted right to XP I looked at the partitions and it shows Vista there so I looked in XP boot ini and it shows boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect NoExecute OptIn I checked around and people said to add Vista to it so I did and added this boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect NoExecute OptIn multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate quot fastdetect It gave the options to now choose one but when I choose Vista the screen goes blank no cursor or anything display is x someone had suggested that already If I choose XP it boots fine I then Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options decided to format the the partition with Vista cd and made a Gb and I now have a Gb unallocated for now as described above did the install again and samething loads fine everything looks pretty but as soon as it is rebooted it goes right to XP no boot choices If you check boot ini only shows one OS Vista is nowhere to be seen and once again if you add it to the boot ini going to My Computer props advanced and editing that way it does the samething when chosen boots to a blank screen I decided to go the msconfig route and checked the boot paths and it showed the one for Vista as invalid which is the path I have above I am clueless now and I don t wat to start from scratch meaing wipe everything clean and try doing Vista first and then XP I searched around the web and most of the issues I found was that XP would not boot after a dual boot attempt Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks and have a good one all nbsp

A:Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-installed-then-tried-vista-but-no-boot-dual-boot-options.707518/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello Everyone ,

i was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter :
i have windows7 and Redhat on my Laptop , i have removed and reinstalled the Windows7 last night and after that lost the Dual boot option , in fact the system is booting on windows7 and there is no option to chose linux ,

as far as i know , i should edit the msconfig file which i tried and couldn`t make it dual boot ,

Please check the attachment file ,

Thank you

A:dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot

Read this: Fixed Windows - But Now Grub is Gone?

Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/88580-dual-boot-reinstall-windows-lost-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

A:Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Originally Posted by Carsomyr

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

This is a good MSDN topic:
Adding Boot Entries (Windows Drivers)

Read it and ask any questions, lots of members know this stuff and can help guide you if you need it.

Make sure you're reading the information on BCDedit - that's the tool for Win7 and higher.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/8155-reinstalling-windows-7-7-10-dual-boot-breaks-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all,

I followed some instructions to remove the Windows 8 Dual Boot by just deleting the Windows 8 Partition and that there was no need to edit the boot menu as everything will be done automatically after restart.

Now, when I tried to reboot my computer, the computer hangs at the screen where you are suppose to select to boot up Windows 7 or Windows 8.

As I had deleted Windows 8 Already, it should not prompt me to select to boot Windows 8 but rather directly boot into Windows 7.

How should I proceed from here ? I am currently installing Fedora Dual Boot on my laptop so hopefully I am able to do some salvaging from there....

Thanks in advance !

Warmest Regards,
Zeke

A:Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot

Take a windows 7 installation DVD/USB thumbdrive, boot from it, select "I want to repair my computer" and then do a "startup repair".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294576-windows-7-crashes-boot-manager-after-deleting-windows-8-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guys i installed windows and windows server in different partition I first installed windows and then installed windows server I dont know if that makes much of a difference However -----after installing - Dual boot Windows Server and pro loader 2008 7 boot Windows the server i could not see the windows in my boot loader so i had to turn the windows partition to active- to boot from windows seven -----It turned my server partition to logical and could not see the server os in boot loader So how would i add both of them in the boot loader so that i can select one of the two after i boot I Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader had to download acronis disk director to turn the logical drive to primary again So the question is how is it possible Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to get both the boot OS in the boot loadter I don't want to do a dual boot through vhd just in case someone suggests me that screen shot of my disk Update i changed the windows server partion back Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to active and tried to boot now it says bootmgr is missing

A:Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader

I don't know how marking Win7 Active to repair it so it would start would convert the Server partition to Logical. I've never heard of such a thing.

To add the missing OS, install EasyBCD to add it on the Add New Entry tab.

EasyBCD (free Download at bottom of page - no name or email required)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/244854-dual-boot-windows-7-pro-windows-server-2008-boot-loader.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Was trying to delete Linux from my dual boot and I accidentally the whole Windows 8 boot loader (again). But this time is worse.

I have Linux installed to get the boot loader back. Windows appears in the GRUB boot menu, but it is corrupted and will not boot. When I try to boot from it, it now goes to a "preparing automatic repairs" screen followed by an "attempting repairs" screen. I'm given an "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC." Then it takes me to the Windows 8 recovery options.

Before it got corrupted, I tried doing a system restore from the recovery options but had to force a shutdown because the restore got stuck and would not end even after 10 hours had passed. That was probably a bad idea.

What should I try next?

A:Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

if you have a windows 8 disk, you can try a startup repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/borked-my-windows-linux-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-anymore-701798.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 65.36%

URGENTLY REQUESTING YOUR ADVICE:
I bought a new VAIO notebook running Vista Home Premium. Not happy with this Vista OS at all, so i installed Windows 7 Ultimate. But the problem i am facing is the machine boots ONLY to Windows 7, and I now have NO way to run Vista (even though I see that all the Vista files are still in place on the C-drive). CAN YOU HELP ME KNOW HOW TO REACTIVATE THIS VISTA OS? (Note: VAIO comes with NO Vista-discs.)
Plz reply for solution

A:How to get the Dual OS Boot Option at System Startup "Windows 7/Vista"

Hi and welcome to TSF first I have removed your email all help is given via this thread and it also takes away the problem of being spammed since this is a open forum and spammers can read the pages, how did you install win 7 ie upgrade or full retail ? did you format the partition ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-get-the-dual-os-boot-option-at-system-startup-windows-7-vista-606169.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi, I installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive (WD 500GB c) to create a dual boot with Vista (OS d). This has been working great and I have fully transferred over to Windows 7.

Now I want to remove the Vista drive (OS d) and format it to use for data only or in future purchase a larger capacity hd for data. I think my MBR is on the Vista drive so how can I do this safely and easily?

I have attached a screenshot from disc manager.

A:Removing Vista drive from a dual boot with Windows 7 on seperate drive

Unplug Disk 0 , and then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times . It will add the Windows 7 boot files in the WD 500 GB disk 1.

(But if you want to make the boot files in a separate partition (which is a usual situation with a clean install), you may see System Reserved : Create Using Disk Management .)

Now you are able to Boot up windows 7 directly .... so you may easily format the Vista disk, if you want, either using the option three of the tutorial Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD , or Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command or SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation .

Hope it helps .

EDIT : If you dont want to format the vista drive, you will need to delete the windows 7 boot entry from it . Download and install EasyBCD , Click on the "Edit Boot Menu" button and Click on delete , and save .
Now , you can use the either OS using the boot menu key of your computer, selecting which disk is to boo up during start up the computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/172360-removing-vista-drive-dual-boot-windows-7-seperate-drive.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Sir Madam i had windows ulti sp running on my laptop i was trying to dual boot it with 64 vista ulti 7 Boot ulti Dual & with ! is 32 windows not achieved vista ulti sp Dual Boot with windows 7 64 ulti & vista 32 ulti is not achieved ! on another partition on the same harddrive i tried to do that with YUMI ZOTAC WinUsb Maker for it every time after choosing the partition 'installing windows' status window would appear and show copying files and within half minute and copying files there was a message in the window quot the installation was cancelled windows can't copy files required for installation make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation Error code x quot i tried with both YUMI and ZOTAC made the partition in windows and also deleted the partition deleted the partition in vista installation process but no change then i went into the vista installation process and deleted the System reserved partition mb with mb occupied of course the active partition of windows ulti installation and it installs instantly and runing very well BUT with this disk status would upload a image soon now vista is running very well sp also made but with no option of choosing windows ulti sp Boot it is now there with me on my external hdd in the form of a complete system image and its major portition still as remnant on its original installation partition as we can see in the image i have also got the system repair disc for the restore of the system image of windows ulti but i want a dual boot is it possible and how Thanks Vineet Garg

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/395234-dual-boot-windows-7-64-ulti-vista-32-ulti-not-achieved.html