Windows Support Forum

How can I recover my lost Windows 7 partition after installing Ubuntu?

Q: How can I recover my lost Windows 7 partition after installing Ubuntu?

So the other day I decided that I wanted to try dual-booting Ubuntu on my HP Pavilion dv - cl Entertainment Notebook that already had Windows Home Premium bit installed I shrank the main biggest partition by Gigs and then installed Ubuntu on that Gigs of unallocated space All worked fine except when I tried to boot Windows from the grub menu it would come up to the beginning Windows animation and then it would crash So I downloaded a Windows Recovery CD and tried a few of the tools there I did not create a system recover image prior to my lost 7 can How after I Windows partition Ubuntu? installing recover my troubles so I could not recover the easy way After that I tried the How can I recover my lost Windows 7 partition after installing Ubuntu? Startup Repair tool which did not work I read somewhere to try that Startup Repair tool or times which I did The third time it seemed to freeze it was quot working quot for about hours at which point I decided that it was enough and shut down the PC That was a mistake From that point forward I still could not boot into Windows but also every time I tried to boot into Ubuntu I had to perform a disk check which always failed After trying that a few times I had had enough yet again and decided to just reinstall Ubuntu The install seemed to work fine but once I rebooted I could not boot into Ubuntu or Windows No matter what option I select from the grub menu or if I push F to go into recovery partition it gives me an error that says quot Error No such partition quot and dumps me into a grub rescue prompt After releasing multiple bouts of turrets I tried booting from my Ubuntu LiveUSB again same one I installed Ubuntu with twice and ran Gparted to look at my partitions It only showed me the one Gig partition and said the remaining Gigs were unallocated So now I'm stuck with no bootable operating system on my HD and to top it off HP just sent me their quot official quot recovery disks that are trying to reformat my HD and erase all my data I know there has to be a way to restore my partitions and replace the grub bootloader with the Windows bootloader At this point I don't care about Ubuntu at all All of my data was on the Windows partition which I cannot access from Ubuntu to grab it Someone please help I can provide any information that you need but remember that I can only do so via either BIOS or by booting Ubuntu from the LiveUSB I cannot access Windows I also do not have a Windows install disk as this was a refurbished HP laptop that I bought from Costco -Rob Pennington

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How can I recover my lost Windows 7 partition after installing Ubuntu?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How can I recover my lost Windows 7 partition after installing Ubuntu?

Try TestDisk Download - CGSecurity (free) and see if it can find and recover your lost partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/165348-how-can-i-recover-my-lost-windows-7-partition-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello First post and I wish it was under better circumstances I think I've put this in the wrong section Sorry I have managed to wipe my Windows partition while installing the latest release of Ubuntu v I've had my HDD split in two with both Windows updated to Update and Ubuntu and dual-booted between them for over a year During the Ubunut install it informed me that I had a previous version of Ubuntu and would I like to wipe the partition that it occupied and install cleanly I chose that It also offered a chance to use free space Now why I accepted that I don't know but the definition of free space seems to include any other partitions on the drive Next? installing Windows Ubuntu. partition while Wiped and didn't warn of this either The upshot is that I now have a TB drive with no Windows on it I've lost all my email pics etc etc I tried using my rescue DVD that I created from within Windows and at I am asked to insert the second disc I don't have a second disk I had to Wiped Windows partition while installing Ubuntu. Next? force my laptop to power down in order to do anything In order to get online I ended up installing Ubuntu again and it definitely shows no Windows partition I've already ordered a retail copy of Windows and I'm hoping that I can install this with no issues on what is effectively a clean drive Am I correct in that assumption Is there anything else I can try that might rescue it I have a Dell Inspiron r SE that is out of warranty so no support from Dell I'm in the UK too if that helps Thank you very very much in advance

A:Wiped Windows partition while installing Ubuntu. Next?

try i care data recovery it has a 80% chance to recover your file i recommend stellar too but prefer i care over it

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44729-wiped-windows-partition-while-installing-ubuntu-next.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Windows 7 seems to be located in my /dev/sda1 partition. However, ever since I installed Ubuntu (not using wubi) my fully encrypted HDD/partition will not prompt me with the password but instead boots straight to ubuntu. Ubuntu does not even recognize my windows partition. More interestingly, I did a boot repair and these are the results that show:

Ubuntu Pastebin

When I use my windows 7 DVD to repair my system it doesn't even show windows 7 is installed. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Do I need to use my encryption rescue disk? I have been trying everything and have not had much success. Thanks!

A:Encrypted Windows 7 partition will not boot after installing Ubuntu.

What encryption did you use? It sounds like GRUB overwrote the encrypted Windows MBR??? Im not sure it can be recovered......I would normally suggest this:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

But the encryption is the unknown here.......you might have to take some risks and experiment.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/293726-encrypted-windows-7-partition-will-not-boot-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my Windows 10 laptop,  I am able to boot into Ubuntu and it runs normally, but if I try boot into windows I get this message: selected boot device failed, press any key to reboot the system.
I think I messed up during the partition process, I had already installed Ubuntu but wanted a fresh install. During the install process I just selected the option to install over my current Ubuntu installation and didn't manually set any partition settings.
Please advise!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19681870
Relevancy 79.55%

I have previously installed windows 7
then for trial purpose installed ubuntu on pimary drve C:

However it doesnot installed properly and now again i have installed windows7 ...it is perfect but others partition drives are not accesible.
i attaching screenshot of this pls help

Thanks in advance ...pls help

A:Recover partition disk accesesibility after uninstallation of ubuntu

Quote: Originally Posted by kishanlald

I have previously installed windows 7
then for trial purpose installed ubuntu on pimary drve C:

However it doesnot installed properly and now again i have installed windows7 ...it is perfect but others partition drives are not accesible.
i attaching screenshot of this pls help

Thanks in advance ...pls help

Hello and Welcome to Seven Forums.

Since the inaccessible partitions do not contain anything, are you able to delete both inaccessible volumes and extend the C: volume?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/215663-recover-partition-disk-accesesibility-after-uninstallation-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I tried shrinking my Windows 7 64-bit OS volume by 128GB to make room for a new partition and lost it in the process. My harddisk capacity should be 465.76 but now shows 337.76 GB.

I have an attached document with a screenshot of what it shows in device manager. I have downloaded the free versions of Partition Wizard 9.0 and Power Data Recovery 6.8 but I cant seem to be able to restore the lost sectors.

Can anyone direct me on how to recover this partition?

Thank you.

A:How do I recover a lost Partition?

The only way I see to get the space back is to first Shrink the C: partition then create a new partition in the resultant unallocated space. I've found that by deleting a partition any data in it is usually lost. That's different from inadvertently formatting a partition which sometimes can be recovered.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/370641-how-do-i-recover-lost-partition.html
Relevancy 73.53%

i have 250 GB hdd in my computer ,but due to wrong usage of partition software i lost my hdd partition. For recover this i format my hard drive but not successful to recover my hdd partition .Now this time in "my computer" only shows the 125 GB partition . I tried to recover from the windows 7 disk management utility and these shows me three unallocated partition .when i try to allocate a new simple volume this give a message following message : "you cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains the maximum number of partition "
please help me recover this bad condition . and attach image in hddprob.doc file

A:how to recover lost partition

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

Well, I don't quite know how you managed it, but you've totally messed up your hard drive.

You haven't given us your system specifications and we don't know whether you are using a factory-installed copy of Windows or a retail copy of Windows.

Do you have any recovery discs or a Windows DVD?

The first thing to mention is that your hard drive can have no more than four primary partitions. One of those partitions can be used to create logical partitions if needed.

Looking at your current drive structure, you need to delete the logical drive D then move the System Reserved partition and the C drive to the beginning of Drive 0. You then need to delete the E partition, and then extend the C drive to take up the resulting unallocated space.

The best way of doing this is to use Partition Wizard, which you boot into to carry out your disk management, apply the changes, and then boot back into Windows when you're done, as this tutorial explains.

http://partitionwizard.com/video-hel...ry-wizard.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/229254-how-recover-lost-partition.html
Relevancy 73.53%

A few months back, my girlfriend accidently infected my computer with a virus that spread itself through her USB stick. The infection was too difficult to remove so I decided to reformat.

I've installed windows XP on one partition but it seems my other one is missing. I know all my files are still there because i'm only using half my hard drive and i've used a few recovery programs to attempt to recover it. One of the programs (a very old one) finds the partition and even allows me to see all the subdirectories and files. It tries to recover the partition, but using another program I saw that it makes a partition of the correct size but all other programs see it as an error.

Can anyone help? I'll be glad to give more details if asked.

Thanks,
James

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-i-recover-a-lost-partition.739598/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello I have a Hp Pavillion dm laptop running Ubuntu and now want to install Windows bit and make the laprop dual booted I burnt the Windows installation iso file onto a pen drive and booted from it It runs till the dialog box quot where do you want to install Windows quot It shows the following partitions on my Hard Drive I am also attaching a screenshot of output of GParted from my Ubuntu It shows GB as unknwon file system and thus I would like to install Windows on to this partition I guess in the windows installation setup it shows GB as System partition and that is the same partition that is pointed to by Gparted However when I click on quot Next quot when trying to install Windows it says Setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing system partition See the Setup log files for more information I have no idea new Ubuntu Installing partition" after create "Setup to Windows unable a was system why this error is Installing Windows after Ubuntu "Setup was unable to create a new system partition" being thrown Could someone please help me out

A:Installing Windows after Ubuntu "Setup was unable to create a new system partition"

Hi, see if the post here on installing helps dual boot - How can I install Windows after I've installed Ubuntu? - Ask Ubuntu scroll down a bit on the page.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installing-windows-after-ubuntu-setup-was-unable-to-create-a-new-system-partition-1016354.html
Relevancy 73.53%

ok hope anyone can help me with this, I don't know much about computers but this is what happend.

I formated my hardrive and reinstalled windows xp, a lil older version of it, somehow I managed to delete a partition during the installation and half my hardrive space was gone, I've tried downloading partition magic, hoping to fix it in there but I can't seem to figure out how, anyone got any idea of how to fix this problem?

A:lost 130 gb of space when I deleted a partition while installing windows

I don't think anyone can help you with your problem with figuring out stuff And since Partition Magic is not free software, noone is going to help you download that either.

Now, posting some information about the type and size of your hard drive (as reported by the BIOS at startup) and the way Windows sees the drive (perhaps a screenshot from the Windows Disk Manager) would help us to help you.

Making a wild guess, you have a hard drive that is bigger than 137GB and you installed a Windows version that is older than Windows XP SP1.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-130-gb-of-space-when-i-deleted-a-partition-while-installing-windows.42102/
Relevancy 72.67%

I was running win 7 with 4 partitions , thought to upgrade to win 10. While installing it didn't allowed me to install. I thought i can run diskpart clean on one partition, selected one volume and ran clean command, but it still cleaned all the partitions. Long story short, I cannot boot my OS until I install OS on freshly created single partition. I was told to use partition recovery apps like partition and mount software, Do I have to install OS on it anyways and once OS is installed, instal the partition and mount software for the recovery?

A:How can i recover lost partition and data in it

NO! Don't do anything that involves the hard drive at this point. You will need to use another computer to create a disk recovery boot disk from a recovery program and use that to boot the computer with the affected hard drive and then let the program do its thing.

This is the program I have used in the past, and I think Brink recommends it too:
[email protected] Partition Recovery restores deleted damaged volumes &amp disks. Freeware Data Recovery Software Toolkit

You can try this one for free, the company is a pretty good company, but I haven't used this software:
Free Partition Recovery Software - EaseUS Partition Recovery.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/25338-how-can-i-recover-lost-partition-data.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi, don't really know where this should go but I'm using win2k so I put it here.

After partitioning, my 80 GB HDD is only 74.5GB. Can I recover the lost space using Partition Magic or something?

Thanks

Relevancy 72.67%

Hi!

I had both Xp and in7 on my comp. Unfortunately something got messed up, and suddenly both could not boot, it said that there was something wrong with the BCD and i had to insert the Win7 installer DVD. I did so, and it repaired the error, but due to a side effect i lost my Xp entry in the MBR ( i think the whole boot configuration was rewritten by win7 ), so my Xp does not boot now. How could i make it boot again?

A:How to recover lost Xp boot partition ?

Hi VinoBob!

Take a look at Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP.
Hope it can helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/73633-how-recover-lost-xp-boot-partition.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi mate,

I don't know whether this is the right section to post such topic or not, but I hope it is fine....

I want to know what is the best software used to recover lost partitions!

I'm still confused with many out there. Some users say Recuva is the best while others say Easeus is a way much better...

any idea??

any suggest is appreciated.

Thanks

A:best software to recover lost partition

First try Partition Wizard CD Partition Recovery Wizard - Video Help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/283829-best-software-recover-lost-partition.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi Guys This is my problem my SD CARD GB months ago it become RAW so there where I Lost Need experts recover Partition, true found out about Testdisk recover Lost Partition, Need true experts it fix it Last week same problem appeared I tried TestDisk but nothing happened after many times I tried this option in testdisk ----- gt MBR code then It was fixed and I was able to see my files however I just couldn't access to one particular folder so I used CHKDSK it deleted the whole folder then after a day THE SD CARD went RAW again I tried again TestDisk it says that the CHS and LBA don't match I tried again MBR code but nothing happened So I thought maybe if I format it with My computer -- gt management --- gt Disk Management I could recover my files so I format it with FAT Now I tried more than software none of them could recover a single file and this what I see in Testdisk nbsp jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads and also It said NONE partition table has been detected o O nbsp jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads and this is the lost one called NO NAME nbsp jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads but this is what happend after I continue nbsp jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads Please help me I really need this SD card more than anything it contain all my studies files my PHD dissertations it's my life and am really hopeless It least a way I could recover the RAW as it was before I format it Thank you

A:recover Lost Partition, Need true experts

So I thought maybe if I format it with ( My computer --> management ---> Disk Management ) I could recover my files .. so I format it with FAT32 .

You formatted the drive .. wiped it ... it's clean .. no data. ( no recovery ) And if I havn't been clear enough heres some more people to tell you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584060/recover-lost-partition-need-true-experts/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello,

I am working on a Dell N5110 with Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) running in it. Few hours ago, I saw that the D drive (200 GB approx.) in my computer is missing. Previously I hadn't installed anything that might have caused this problem. I tried fixing it with "Active Partition Recovery Toolkit", it is showing me the data present in the drive but is not able to recover it. It keeps on showing some kind of an error.

I also checked the status of the drive through "Disk Management". There it is shown as 200 GB of free space. I have some valuable data in there. Is there any way I could recover the whole drive ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Cheers!

A:Unable to recover a lost/damaged partition

Quote: Originally Posted by neotrix89

Hello,

I am working on a Dell N5110 with Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) running in it. Few hours ago, I saw that the D drive (200 GB approx.) in my computer is missing. Previously I hadn't installed anything that might have caused this problem. I tried fixing it with "Active Partition Recovery Toolkit", it is showing me the data present in the drive but is not able to recover it. It keeps on showing some kind of an error.

I also checked the status of the drive through "Disk Management". There it is shown as 200 GB of free space. I have some valuable data in there. Is there any way I could recover the whole drive ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Cheers!

If you have System Restore turned on for the D: drive, I would try that first. This tells you how
System Restore For future use, as soon as you get the problem corrected make an image of all of your drives using Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download and you can restore the image in 20 minutes and correct the problem. Let us know if the System Restore works.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/326813-unable-recover-lost-damaged-partition.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi Guys This is my problem my SD CARD GB months ago it become RAW so there where I found out about Testdisk it fix it Last week same problem appeared I tried TestDisk but nothing happened after many times I tried this option in testdisk ----- gt MBR code then It was fixed and I was able to see my files however I just couldn't access to one particular folder so I used CHKDSK it deleted the whole folder then after a day THE SD CARD went RAW again I tried again TestDisk it says that the CHS and LBA don't match I tried again MBR code but nothing happened So I thought maybe if I format it with My computer -- gt management --- gt Disk Management I could recover my files so I format it with FAT Now I tried more than software none of recover Partition, Lost experts Need true them could recover a single file and this what I see in Testdisk and also It said NONE partition table has been detected o O Please help me I really need this SD card recover Lost Partition, Need true experts more than anything it contain all my studies files my PHD dissertations it's my life and am really hopeless It least a way I could recover the recover Lost Partition, Need true experts RAW as it was before I format it Thank you

A:recover Lost Partition, Need true experts

and this is the lost one .. called ( NO NAME )

but this is what happend after I continue

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/376536-recover-lost-partition-need-true-experts.html
Relevancy 71.38%

hii i was using ubuntu alongside win but for some reasons i have to uninstall ubuntu so i deleted that linux partition installed win bootloader to mbr fine but i was unable to resize my c drive with that unallocated space i created by deleting linux partition so bcoz of that i formatted that drive with ntfs and start useing to store data but when i again try to install ubuntu i go for option quot try ubuntu quot but it hang up so i restarted and when partition deleting 14 ubuntu linux after trouble fedora installing and i try to install trouble installing fedora 14 and ubuntu after deleting linux partition fedora it says gnome and gvfs crash so i trouble installing fedora 14 and ubuntu after deleting linux partition was wondering did i mess with my system now what to do plz help have a look at my disk manegement crash amp warning showed as soon as dekstop was prepare note that i had not even installed f i was about too but this error drive me crazy and make me confuse the proper error of fedora is gnome disk utility - fc reson process usr libexec gdu-notification deamon was killed by signal SIGABRT crash count crash amp warning showed as soon as dekstop was prepare gvfs crash - fc reason process usr libexec gvfs-gdu-volume monitor was killed by signal sigabrt crash count so now tell wheather i should install f frm this cd or make another or what to do i need to install fedora now plz help should i avoid that error and begin with installation bcoz i have back up image on portable hdd but still i want to take advantage of both fedora and win help me with this plz

A:trouble installing fedora 14 and ubuntu after deleting linux partition

Be careful with Fedora 14. You have separate partitions and one thing Fedora does is merge all partitions into one logical volume group. You have a backup
partition which contains drivers for your computer/laptop, ideally I would make a copy of this data before you install.

Is there some reason you prefer Fedora over Ubuntu? Both use Gnome 2.32 as the desktop, with the addition that Ubuntu 11.04 will install Unity desktop as well.

Unfortunately you cant tell much from the windows partition manager as drives are just assigned a letter, and you can only have 4 primary partitions.
Post on the linux forum if youre happy with your windows setup, Wmorri is Fedora Ambassador, but when you do please provide the following information.
Boot with the Ubuntu CD in Live mode (or try before installing). It will pick up your network, open a terminal and post output of:

fdisk -l

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/trouble-installing-fedora-14-and-ubuntu-after-deleting-linux-partition-574642.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,

I'm trying to recover lost partition and files from external USB hard drive (Maxtor Portable 250GB).
I'm using disk Internals sofitware and the software finds the files, but when I try to save them on the drive, each time I get a watchdog, or another BOSD error.

Here are the dumps.
Attachment 44121

Thanks in andvance.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
P

A:BSOD, trying to recover lost partition from external hard

Sorry for the delay in responding. There just aren't that many people who do BSOD analysis, so at times we get a bit overwhelmed!

Do your still need help with this problem?
I will be notified if you reply to this topic and will respond within 48 hours.

Start with these diagnostics on the USB hard drive: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure
If the hard drive is dead/dying, this could easily be the cause of the BSOD's

I like the GetDataBack software from Data Recovery - Data Recovery Software - RAID Recovery - NAS Data Recovery
It's free to see what you can recover, but it costs $80 (last I checked) to actually recover it.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/47296-bsod-trying-recover-lost-partition-external-hard.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi guys!

I run Partition Magic in my windows 7 and windows restart but don't boot. I start using linux and could see partition and my files. I try fix boot using testdisk, but my partition turn in unallocated space! Now I can't see my partition nor my files! Can you help me?

A:I lost my NTFS partition. Now it is an unallocated space. How recover

Download the Paragon free try Rescue kit:
Rescue Kit Free Edition | PARAGON Software Group - free partition software, hard disk partitioning
Try the undelete partition option.
Paragon Rescue Kit Free Edition Free Download

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/298663-i-lost-my-ntfs-partition-now-unallocated-space-how-recover.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Help!
My Windows 8.1 crashed after I tried playing an offline copy of Half-Life 2 on Steam. Now my windows won't even load, or if it does, it won't do anything. I am currently not even able to boot it into safe mode from the login screen. I'm at my wit's end.
Here's the deal. I actually backed up all my data on my Windows partition on an external hard drive. My question is, if I press the little "Reset" button on the side of my conputer, will it affect my Ubuntu partition? My computer is a Lenovo Ideapad P500 Touch model.
Thanks for all the help!

A:Does reseting the Windows 8.1 partition affect my Ubuntu partition?

Hi fox Resetting your Windows 8 will affect your Ubuntu partition. Since it was probably not part of the original configuration the manufacturer of your laptop created for that laptop, it will most likely deleted and Windows 8.1 will be reinstalled on it. Resetting a computer under Windows 8.1 pretty much delete everything on it, re-format the hard drive correctly and reinstall Windows using the manufacturer system image on the DVD or partition included with the laptop/computer. If you want to read more about the Reset process, you can read the HowToGeek article below:http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572362/does-reseting-the-windows-81-partition-affect-my-ubuntu-partition/
Relevancy 64.5%

hi here is a shoot of my disk management as described in this post

Windows Update will not update and I've tried multiple fixes

please note that disk f is an external hard disk,

so the problem is that disk D is not there anymore as when i did clean i might chossed the wrong one but before i wrote down the disks capacity and the disk i choosed to clean matched the disk c capacity,now i installed /formatted the c again,

so is there anywhere to bring back this drive?

A:Lost disk 2 and partition D when installing window 7

Hi and thanks
Did you try free mini tool ?
Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/401081-lost-disk-2-partition-d-when-installing-window-7-a.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I insalled Ubuntu along side windows 7 , and then i removed it using the command prompt by typing the two commands ( i used windwos 7 DVD installtion disk)
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec fixmbr
and now when my computer starts it boots to windows 7...but when i try to delete the partition that contains the Ubuntu , it does not work, i use the disk management tools from windows, I've tried many times but every time i get the same message ...
is there any way to delete this partition from w7 or do i need to have third part software..
regards

A:Can not delete Ubuntu partition after uninstalling Ubuntu

and what is the message ???

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/290358-can-not-delete-ubuntu-partition-after-uninstalling-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi all professionals
I've got a serious problem here.

I've used Partition Magic 8.05 to cut a part of my HDD to install Vista. However, aftering installed the Vista, i can't access to the XP partition(old partition). Althought i can still see the partition by disk management, there's no letter label and i can do nth with it.

Here comes the photo (it's the chinese version , but i think it still help you to understand the situation)
Can anyone plz help me? I can't lost the data in my old OS.

Relevancy 63.21%

I just recently installed Ubuntu 13.04 in my new msi laptop. My goal is to hide Windows 8 partition in ubuntu and vice versa.
In ubuntu, I disabled auto mount so it is working as desired.
In windows 8 disk manager, I cannot seem to find a way to hide the ubuntu partitions.

My goal is to keep windows and ubuntu partions (in windows drives) to see each other to protect the parition from accidental damage.

Is there a way to this in windows 8 home edition?

I hope somebody here have more success than me.

Thanks in advance

A:Hide ubuntu partition in Windows 8

Hide partitions in windows by removing the assigned drive letter in the Disk Management Console.

How do I hide specific drives/partitions in Windows 7? - Windows 7 Help Forums

It is similar in Windows 8 - the link in post #3 points to Shawn Brinks tutorial:

Drive Letter - Add, Change, or Remove in Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums

Even more protection is offered if the formatted filesystem for the Ubuntu installation is unreadable by Windows - such as ext3.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/30865-hide-ubuntu-partition-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Now I can't boot from the harddrive at all even after reinstallng windows history I installed a new drive and since I need to test apps on multiple operating partition damaged windows my ubuntu systems I install ubuntu damaged my windows partition several windows versions I spend two weeks installing many windows versions then updating and installing software on each then before I was about to clone the drive to use on other systems I installed ubuntu All ubuntu damaged my windows partition was fine I had Win pro win xp pro k datacenter and vista and seven in and bit versions all living with ubuntu until ubuntu asked to update from to When done the ubuntu damaged my windows partition Grub bootloader would fail to load the win seven bootloader After about hrs tryng to fix it I decided to delete the ubuntu and use my windows disc to overwrite the grub bootloader I did it successfully according to windows but it wouldn't load and nothin would boot I then try to reinstall Seven on the first partition hoping it would at least boot that and all seemed well during install but as soon as it tried to boot from harddrive nothin happened I then tried to reinstall one of the WinXP versions to let it overwrite the Seven boot loader but the same problem it's like something is stopping this partiton from booting I didn't want to wipe the partition if I don'thave to so I tried to use Gparted to resize and move it making it partition and a fresh partition to instal win on and hoped it would see and setup the booting of the other versions but I couldn't even move the martition unspecified error I think I'm about to just wipe the drive and start over losing weeks of work unless someone has a magic cure I've already tried to restore master boot records boot sectore fix every windows and rd partytool says it's fixed but it won't boot and won't instal Ubuntu's help is worthless unless it's ubuntu thats broken Every choice they have in installation recovery is to deal with ubuntu not working nothing at all with it killing allyour windows installations nor is there a way to quot undo quot the update or installation

A:ubuntu damaged my windows partition

All Linux code must be deleted using the CLEAN ALL command.As you have had linux on the HD you need do a Clean all & full format.

Type in command line
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (win HD)
CLEAN ALL
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT fs=NTFS
ASSIGN
EXIT
EXIT

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/192470-ubuntu-damaged-my-windows-partition.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Here's what happened I made a dual boot system with Ubuntu and Windows with a GRUB boot loader on my TB HDD partition Ubuntu Hang OOM/Windows Dualboot after allocating about lt GB including all proper partitions to Ubuntu and GB to Windows since I read that it's better to install the OS to a smaller partition Dualboot Ubuntu OOM/Windows Hang after partition leaving the GB of unallocated space thinking I could partition it later since I was busy at the time The system ran perfectly fine until I decided to partition all of the unallocated space using Disk Management on Windows Dualboot Ubuntu OOM/Windows Hang after partition probably not the greatest idea ever It took some time so I went on to do other stuff Next time I checked I saw an endless stream of command lines such as Out of memory Kill process systemd-udevd score or sacrifice child Killed process systemd-udevd total-vm kB anon-rss kB file-rss kB until a blank screen appears After restarting the computer I tried booting Windows and it hangs on the Starting Windows screen Trying to boot Ubuntu results in the same Out of memory failure Safe mode with networking doesn't load either gets stuck on CLASSPNP sys After this I've tried connecting the HDD to an another computer with Windows since I only need the files Strangely whenever the HDD is connected to the other computer the Windows from the other HDD also hangs on the Starting Windows screen After disconnecting the HDD other computer Windows loads perfectly I'm absolutely sure that the first boot device selected in BIOS was from the healthy computer Only thing I need is to backup the data stored I don't think I'll mess with any dual boot systems for a while after this D Any help would be greatly appreciated

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/625645/dualboot-ubuntu-oomwindows-hang-after-partition/
Relevancy 62.78%

i have Ubuntu dual booted with windows 7 32 bit, i am running out of space on my hard drive and am not using the 100 gigabytes i partitioned of for Ubuntu, i was hoping that someone might know how to change the partition size as i cant find out how to do it.
Thanks very much

A:Change partition size of Ubuntu in Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by sholtob

i have Ubuntu dual booted with windows 7 32 bit, i am running out of space on my hard drive and am not using the 100 gigabytes i partitioned of for Ubuntu, i was hoping that someone might know how to change the partition size as i cant find out how to do it.
Thanks very much

Boot with the Ubuntu Live CD, select "Try Ubuntu", and use gparted to shrink the Ubuntu partition and extend the Windows partition. Don't use the Windows Partition Manager, or you won't be able to boot Ubuntu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/191210-change-partition-size-ubuntu-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I have a small query about this whole partitioning business I'm trying to set up a partition so I can dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu My computer came with a Dell Recovery partition and an OEM partition as well as the main C drive which are all primaries I've created a new logical drive which I've called Z with the idea being to install the Linux OS in that Ubuntu to dual-boot 7 a partition Windows up and Set chunk of the drive My first question First up I've formatted it as quot exFAT quot - is this the same as FAT Next question can I divide this 'Z' into smaller chunks with different formats or do they all have to be the same format I was hoping to be able to format a small bit of the drive into a Linux filesystem so that both OSs can be kept entirely separate from each other but leave the bulk of it as FAT so that I can see my files with both Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu OSs If this is not possible what would be the best way to achieve the desired result Thanks for any help McG

A:Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Hi McG, welcome to the forums.
I can't really answer your questions about Ubuntu, but I recommend you start by checking this thread at the Ubuntu forum. I would save it since you might come into those problems when trying to install Ubuntu in your disc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/45429-set-up-partition-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Following very carefully I thought wiping to after Windows Can't Ubuntu partition! Solved: boot an old thread on unloading Ubuntu to revert to Win XP Pro I deleted the Ubuntu partition with Easeus Partition Mastri then resized my XP partition to use the extra space Then intended to boot from my Win XP CD to run fixmbr I thought from the old thread that that would fix the Master Boot Record and that I would then be up and running in Windows again But my computer now won t boot from the XP CD I get consecutive messages GRUB Loading stage GRUB loading please wait Error I can still boot from the Easeus Partition Master which shows my disk like this Size Used Unused Status FAT Mb M Mb None Primary NTFS Gb Gb Gb Active Primary Unallocated Gb Bytes Gb None Logical FAT Gb Gb Mb None Primary Unallocated Mb Bytes Mb None Logical I m right out of my depth here and would be really really grateful for some Solved: Can't boot to Windows after wiping Ubuntu partition! help What can I do now Dell Dimension Ghz Gb RAM Windows XP Pro SP nbsp

A:Solved: Can't boot to Windows after wiping Ubuntu partition!

Clean your XP CD with alcohol, rubbing from the center to the outside. Let it dry and try booting again. If no joy, borrow an XP CD from a friend if possible. If the easeus CD boots, the XP should. If must be dirty or scratched.

Another way, use the XP setup floppy set from MS to boot to the RC.

Yet another way, Get a Quick Boot CD. It will substitute for your HD MBR and boot files and allow booting Windows.

http://webpages.charter.net/surferdude/SDhome1.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-boot-to-windows-after-wiping-ubuntu-partition.941625/
Relevancy 61.92%

I wonder if there's a chance I can still save my Windows Here's what happened and what I am left with laptop Toshiba my save I Windows problems)? Can (Ubuntu still install/partition Satellite C Used EaseUS under Win to modify Windows system partition to Can I still save my Windows (Ubuntu install/partition problems)? shrink it and make space for Ubuntu making an extra partition formatted Ext Can I still save my Windows (Ubuntu install/partition problems)? Did not touch Recovery and Boot Win partitions During Ubuntu installation I Can I still save my Windows (Ubuntu install/partition problems)? split Ext partition adding swap area I believe might have removed quot Primary quot property from one of the Win partitions Boot or Recovery but I reset it back immediately under Ubuntu install partition manager Did not have problems booting Windows or Ubuntu after install Same steps done earlier installing Ubuntu alongside XP did not cause any problems This time when I attempted to run Windows quot Recovery quot recover to factory state by pressing during power-up as it's done with this laptop--I could not do recovery this way anymore of course as Ubuntu install disables this interrupt--but I run Windows Recovery from boot manager like I done many many times with XP--this time however I got unusual screens and a couple of error messages After pressing cancel on these messages I was able to get to System Restore to Factory State option After selecting that option system began recovery to factory state but after about minutes displayed error message asking to press OK to shut down laptop After shutting down and booting got grub rescue no such partition message I could see that attempted and failed restore deleted all Linux partitions--without asking me And installed new NTFS partitions that weren't recognized as quot windows quot but rather as quot windows dos quot and weren't usable apparently Tried to install Ubuntu from disk NO Windows disk after shrinking one of the NTFS partitions and making ext space but failed to reboot after each installation getting the same no partition message After deleting both new NTFS partitions and converting them to quot Free space quot I was able to finally install and boot Ubuntu from HDD I can see that I still have Windows recovery partition on my hard drive and examination of files from Linux makes it appear intact there're recovery boot files When I attempt to run this Win Recovery partition from boot manager it starts but quickly fails and quits without modifying anything apparently Do you think there's anything I can do to rescue my Windows since I still have the recovery partition

A:Can I still save my Windows (Ubuntu install/partition problems)?

No need for reply, I brought the dead recovery partition back to life...
Moved Win recovery partition several blocks back (have no clue how it got moved forward), run repair MBR and set it as active... it went into clean recovery on power up then.

It seems to be impossible to do factory restore of Win 7 (at least with Toshiba restore) without wiping out present Linux--it was possible with XP. Even if I specify small partition to occupy for Windows, the factory restore kills everything else and creates free space without file system where the Linux was before. So will have separate laptop for linux from now on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/219692-can-i-still-save-my-windows-ubuntu-install-partition-problems.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello I haven't been using Ubuntu as much as I'd like to so about an hour I can't Partition to boot I Windows Ubuntu after formating/deleting ago I opened up Partition Magic selected my Ubuntu partition and formated it as NTFS then on reboot to preform the operation it formatted then reboot and I got GRUB error I can't boot to Windows XP Home even though when I I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition look at the Live CD through linux the parition is there I've tried putting in my XP disc and doing fixmbr but I can't boot to I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition the I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition CD it'll boot to the Linux Live CD but not XP On the live CD I've used GParted to make XP the ONLY Parition and I've even tried reinstalling Ubuntu but I can't I get an error when I try to resize the windows partition and use the freed space for Ubuntu Did I just totally nuke my harddrive Will I have to buy a new Hard Drive I feel so stupid I've used Parition Magic at work many times guess I just forgot something Can anyone help me get XP back up and running

A:I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition

Well, I've fixed it! I called up a friend and he walked me through...I still feel pretty dumb. lol

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-cant-boot-to-windows-after-formating-deleting-ubuntu-partition-283895.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,

I have a question.

I formatted a partition of my harddrive but in the end not only a partition was formatted but the next partition also was gone.

Meaning: the data is still there, but the NTFS partition isn't recognised anymore by Windows, and in diskmanager the space is now ready to assign new partition.

In a data recovery software, I saw the not recognised partition was still recognised as 'NTFS'.

What can I do?

The best scenario would be to simply tell Windows somehow, there is partition with NTFS and it should assign a letter to it.

A:Windows lost partition letter and don't recognize format partition

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Screenshot tools.
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
Screenshot with Paint
Screenshot and Upload using MWSnap
fscapture free download

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/199533-windows-lost-partition-letter-dont-recognize-format-partition.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I have a Dell laptop. I want to do a dual install, first Windows 7 followed by Ubuntu 13.04.
I would like to know if Ubuntu 13.04 installs as it normally does when installing with Windows 7.
I know Ubuntu 13.04 does not install easily with Windows 8 so I am curious about Windows 7.
I am not looking for any information on installing Ubuntu with Windows 8. I am only interested in installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13,04.
If anyone is interested, I have tried Windows 8 and absolutely despise so much about it.
Thank you

A:Installing Ubuntu 13.04 with Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by jrj350

I have a Dell laptop. I want to do a dual install, first Windows 7 followed by Ubuntu 13.04.
I would like to know if Ubuntu 13.04 installs as it normally does when installing with Windows 7.
I know Ubuntu 13.04 does not install easily with Windows 8 so I am curious about Windows 7.
I am not looking for any information on installing Ubuntu with Windows 8. I am only interested in installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13,04.
If anyone is interested, I have tried Windows 8 and absolutely despise so much about it.
Thank you

Here are the instructions I use to set-up dual boots...

Ubuntu Guide

Quote:
A user may experience problems dual-booting Ubuntu and Windows. In general, a Windows OS should be installed first, because its bootloader is very particular. A default Windows installation usually occupies the entire hard drive, so the main Windows partition needs to be shrunk, creating free space for the Ubuntu partitions...

Ubuntu Raring Installation -

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/297875-installing-ubuntu-13-04-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I tried installing a Linux distribution by partitioning my hard drive... Near the end of the installation, I got an error message informing me that grub-install had failed. I canceled the install, and restarted my computer.

Now when Windows 8.1 is trying to load, it stops, giving me this message: "Your computer ran into an error and needs to restart. We are collecting some info, and then we'll restart for you."

There was another thread on this forum that had the same issue (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8/1135019-windows-8-1-error-lenovo.html, but the thread is closed. The problem seems to be that the partition I created for Linux infringed on some invisible recovery partition... Assuming that is the problem, how do I fix it? I can't get back into Windows to look at things.

Relevancy 61.49%

I had two OS on my pc Windows 7 and Ubuntu. i was using the ubuntu loader to load my OS's after installed windows 8 i can only see windows 7. All these OS's are in separate partitions. So how do i get my ubuntu back important projects are in that partition

A:Ubuntu gone after installing windows 8

Try:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...rosoft%20Vista

Obviously replace "Vista" with "Win 8" - should work.

Regards

Robin

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/7754-ubuntu-gone-after-installing-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello,

I had Win XP and Ubuntu (through Wubi) installed in my 500 GB SATA hard disk. I installed Windows 8 in another 80 GB ATA hard disk. When I rebooted, I was unable to log into Win XP or Ubuntu; just Windows 8. How can I get back Windows XP and Ubuntu installations?

Thanks,
Emma Good.

A:Cannot run Win XP or ubuntu after installing Windows 8

Emma, this sometimes works. When you start-up, you have to watch the opening information, and hopefully, you'll see a menu that gives you a choice of which system to boot into. It will tell you that Win 8 is your default choice. You can then change the default or choose another OS.

But since you're using two hard drives, it's possible that Win 8 doesn't know the other drive exists.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/6071-cannot-run-win-xp-ubuntu-after-installing-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi,earlier i had windows 7 on two partitions and Ubuntu on one.Then I re-installed windows 7 on one partition.Now OS Boot menu is not shown at startup.The new OS starts directly.How can i add entries of old Ubuntu and windows 7?

A:Installing windows 7 over Ubuntu...

So you had:

-win7 OS on a partition
-other win7 OS on another partition
-ubuntu on another partition

Please post screenshot of disk management in win7.
Did you always saw the grub bootmenu on boot or the win7 bootmanager?
Did you reinstall win7 by deleting everything first on that partition (or recreate the partition)?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/257453-installing-windows-7-over-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I was running Windows but long story short the OS crashed and I had no access to my product key to reinstall it so now I'm running Ubuntu I'm starting to get a feel for Ubuntu and it's really not too bad Ubuntu from Installing 8 Windows but I miss Windows and would like to switch back I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for it though so I'm hoping to take advantage of Installing Windows 8 from Ubuntu my student discount before my college kicks me off there system Installing Windows 8 from Ubuntu since I graduated The only thing I can find with a discount though is thishttp www microsoftstore com store msusa en US pdp Windows- -Pro-Upgrade- E -Student-Offer productID It's the Windows Pro Upgrade Will I be able to use this to install Windows from a non-Windows OS I don't want to buy it only to realize that I need a Windows OS to use it My machine has a Windows Vista OEM but it's near impossible to find a legit Windows Vista ISO to go back to that and upgrade to Windows Thanks for all the help

A:Installing Windows 8 from Ubuntu

Open source virtualization software VirtualBox was available in the Ubuntu repositories, meaning Virtualbox is a one-click install for Ubuntu users and yes, it is possible to run Windows under UBUNTU. However, I saw most people doing the other way around, including myself. I have both UBUNTU and Linux Mint installed as Virtual Machines, In addition, I also installed a light weight UNIX (UWIN from AT&T) and running shell scripts using ksh, vi etc...

If you can get an upgrade key for Windows 8.1 and somehow manage to download the Windows 8.1 Pro ISO then you will not need Vista or 7 to be installed to do the upgrade. You can just do a fresh install and it is much better this way.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/49268-installing-windows-8-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 61.49%

HI
I have just had limited success installing Ubuntu 12.10 onto an external diskon my new Samsung (series 3) Windows 8 laptop.
The secure boot and fast start up have been disabled.
The situation now is that Windows or Ubuntu will not boot up after pressing the power button, when doing this I get a dark screen with the following message:
error: no such device: 6dada016-95df-4ef5-a343-4a77e8afd396
grub rescue >_
I can now only boot up either program by hitting the F10 key directly afterpressing the power button, I then have to select one of the options in the boot options before themachine will boot (both systems boot up as normal when following this option).
Ideally, if the external drive is not plugged into the USB port I want mylaptop to boot directly into Windows 8. Can this be achieved?. I would like to start Ubuntu through the settings, change PC settings option.
Regards
Northerner

A:Installing Ubuntu In Windows 8

If you're getting that error message with no external drive connected, then you accidentally installed GRUB to your internal hard drive -- which could have been avoided if you had simply disconnected the internal drive when installing Ubuntu to the external drive.

What you will need to do is remove GRUB from your internal drive but since your Win8 PC uses UEFI, and I have no experience with that, I can't help you fix it. Sorry.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/19001-installing-ubuntu-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I'd like to start by saying I'm not very good with computers I'm a complete noob infact Which is why it probably was not a good idea Ubuntu Installing 7 over Windows to install Ubuntu But now I am trying to rectify this problem So I popped in the full install version of Windows Home Premium and booted from the disk I got up to the part where it asks me to select a partition One is something like GB with no free space and the other is GB Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu with no free space It won't let me install on either and the reason it gives is something like it's not in NTFS format I don't know what this means Please help And if you do choose to reply act like you're talking to a preschooler because I am when it comes to computers x x In addition alot of Ubuntu forums say 'boot from the live CD' or so but I installed Ubuntu with a USB stick Does it matter Thanks Lisa

A:Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu

You will probably need to format your HD & do a clean install of win7

Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/134133-installing-windows-7-over-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Wasn t sure if this should go in Windows OS or other but here it is So my pc has XP pro installed and Ubuntu I have it setup with a gig partition for XP a 7 Windows Ubuntu & XP Installing with a Pro PC on gig for Ubuntu and then rest of Installing Windows 7 on a PC with XP Pro & Ubuntu the gig hdd is for storage and has my My documents and program files on it I also have a TB hdd in there What I would like to do is create new partition on one of the hdd that part I know how to do then install windows on that partition I have been trying to find a guide to help me but they are either just answers to specific questions guides for vista xp amp Ubuntu or guides for doing the hole thing from scratch or get very technical in Linux and go over my head Oh I should also let you know I am a Linux Noob and have Ubuntu on there to play around with it some and try to learn on a linux OS Anyways does anyone have a nice guide as to how to do this Or is it fairly simple and I can just dive right in Also would it be better to make the partition for Win on the gig with the other OS s on it or the other hdd Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-windows-7-on-a-pc-with-xp-pro-ubuntu.135221/
Relevancy 61.49%

Cannot install linux version using wubi windows installer I am Windows 8 Installing with Ubuntu Help 12 currently using windows bit professional Error message An error occurred Error executing command gt gt command C WINDOWS sysnative bcdedit e lt e set l cb bf - - e - -f d b ac l device partition br gt gt retval br gt gt stderr An error has occurred setting the element data br The request is not supported br gt gt stdout br For more information please see Help Installing Ubuntu 12 with Windows 8 the log file br c users evan appdataMocal temp wubi- -rev log br br Please help me find out a way thanks in advance blockquote div div div div class cleardiv div br -- EF Tip -- div id 'div-gpt-ad- - ' style 'width px height px margin-bottom - px ' script type 'text javascript' googletag cmd push function googletag display 'div-gpt-ad- - ' script div div a Help Installing Ubuntu 12 with Windows 8 style text-decoration none color grey href javascript onmousedown if document getElementById 'EF ' style display 'none' document Help Installing Ubuntu 12 with Windows 8 getElementById 'EF ' style display 'block' else document getElementById 'EF ' style display 'none' nbsp nbsp My System Specs a You need to have JavaScript enabled so that you can use this OS Win pro bit

A:Help Installing Ubuntu 12 with Windows 8

Find the log file in app data in windows windows explorer.

My guess is you didn't select the option to boot alongside windows...

You can always get a second hard drive, but I doubt you want too.

Ask this question on Ubuntu forums, the devs and geeks there can help you more than here.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/11910-help-installing-ubuntu-12-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I lost access to my windows 7 drive (Dual-boot windows 7 & Ubuntu). every time I try to run Windows 7 I get the message: Bootmgr is compressed, Press CTRL_ALT-DEL to restart. I could run Bootrec /fixmbr or diskpart or attrib to rebuild my mbr table through DOS command window using my windows 7 recovery CD. The problem I cannot access drive C: where my windows 7 are. I get the error message: Cannot open volume for direct access or system cannot find the drive path or specified. I still can access all my windows folders and files through home folder in Ubuntu. I don't want to reformat and reinstall windows. Is there is a way to run the DOS commands within Ubuntu or any other advice to how to fix this issue.

A:Lost access to Windows 7 Drive (Dual-Boot Windows 7 & Ubuntu)

Hi,

Please see whether the steps outline in this tutorial will be of help:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/249212-lost-access-windows-7-drive-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello,
i have a Packard Bell Dot S2 Netbook. When i bought it, i made 2 partitions for Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Then I wanted to remove Ubuntu, so i deleted his partition. Now, when i restart, i read only "Grub rescue >".
I read in this forum that i should reinstall Windows 7 using the CD, but my netbook can't read CDs!
I can use another pc with Windows 7....can i use it to fix the problem?
Thanks

A:Removing Ubuntu partition from Netbook, Windows 7 doesn't boot.

Welcome to Seven Forums.

You can create a w7 installer on a USB flash drive and reinstall with that. For how see here: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Download the iso file for your w7 version from here, Dell Community Sometime the iso will not work the first time and requires a re-download.

Here is a tutorial with all the above info. USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/274876-removing-ubuntu-partition-netbook-windows-7-doesnt-boot.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a gateway laptop which at one time had windows 7. Windows started acting up, so I tried a recovery from within windows only to have it fail. I ordered from gateway the recovery disks. While waiting for the disks, I loaded the entire HD with the latest version of Ubuntu just curious i guess. I now have the gateway windows 7 recovery dvd's and it will not recover because it doesn't seem to recognize the Linux partition. Without the Microsoft Windows 7 install disk (only have gateway's recovery disks). How can I remove the Linux partition?

Any advice or help would be greatful.

Mjmalino

A:Gateway recovery windows 7 DVD not recognizing Ubuntu Linux partition

Get the win7 install iso.

Better than the gateway I am sure: Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Clean install 7, then you might want to install Mint or Pinguy - try pinguy, you may be surprised.

http://pinguyos.com/

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/238468-gateway-recovery-windows-7-dvd-not-recognizing-ubuntu-linux-partition.html
Relevancy 61.06%

i need help with resizing NFTS also i use g parted but it says it doesn t recognize using QTparted Windows Errors resizing Ubuntu & partition gParted, the file system and therefor cant split or resize it also it will not let me unmount the drive i also get an error with Ubuntu it eather hangs on the HDD partitioning or fails to resize it beta The hard drive is running good now it has xp home on it just fine so i dont see why it refuses to partition or unmount it my next step is to burn kinoppix Errors resizing Windows partition using gParted, Ubuntu & QTparted to a cd and try it i did however have to reinstall windows xp times in the summer because it kept getting corrupted so may by my HDD is dying but if it was would windows be able to pass chkdisk it is about years old WD caviler gb rpm not sure what that could be thanks btw admins if u feal im Hijacking this thread ill you can open a new one edit when i use kinoppix QTparted to resize the partition it says quot hopelessly there are many bad sectors quot and wont resize it is the drive dying as i thought or can i fix the sectors with something other then chkdisk Moved this reply to its own thread nbsp

A:Errors resizing Windows partition using gParted, Ubuntu & QTparted

im runnig the sacn but i noticed that SMART was turned off, about 5% into the test(extensive test) an error comes up and says "to many bad sectors" and fails me, is this mean the drive has failed and could this cause it not the be able to be resized

thanks again i will try the test with SMART on but i doubt it will make a difference

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/errors-resizing-windows-partition-using-gparted-ubuntu-qtparted.70542/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello,
I bought a new laptop Dell 15R 5558 series 5000 yesterday, with ubuntu preinstalled on it. I want to install my Windows 7 on it instead of Ubuntu.
Here are my hard drivers details 
And when I try to install my Windows 7, I get this message
What should I do?

A:Installing Windows over Pre-installed Ubuntu

See here:
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/windows-7-installation/ 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19996713
Relevancy 60.63%

I want to install Windows but I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed. Upon installation, I get "Windows 7 cannot be installed on this partition because the format is not NTFS,and is not enough space on the disk". There's two partitions Ubuntu is using (Disk 0 and 1). Both of them are full.

I need a step-by-step explanation (help) on how I should go about this. Can I just select to "delete" both the partitions through the installation process, and Windows will just create a new suitable one for itself? Or...is that not enough?

A:Uninstalling Ubuntu, Installing Windows 7

Deleting the partitions will completely remove Ubuntu from the HDD because you will be eliminating the partitions that contain data. Afterwards you can re-partition as you like or let Windows handle it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/286451-uninstalling-ubuntu-installing-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hey Alright here s my deal I hope ya ll can help The Bottom-Line Short-Version I bought a couple PC s with Ubuntu Linux installed I need XP on it My XP Install disc doesn t work error pops up if I tried to partition the Windows Installing Ubuntu XP (Error over :Help Msg): drive I ll mess it up for sure what the hell do I do What I ve Done Detailed-Version :Help Installing Windows XP over Ubuntu (Error Msg): I recently bought a couple computers Dell Optiple X GX that originally had the XP OS on it currently Ubuntu Linux resides as the OS which is a bad thing in this case I would like to uninstall delete Ubuntu and put Windows XP or any other version for this matter as my main amp ONLY operating system I have a Windows XP :Help Installing Windows XP over Ubuntu (Error Msg): Installation Disc that I TRIED to use and install I downloaded Wine amp Crossover each opens the EXE on the disc and allows me to explore In Setup it asks What do you want to do When I click :Help Installing Windows XP over Ubuntu (Error Msg): Install Windows XP it goes to the installation screen with the numbered steps on left column and then an error message pops up Windows Setup has encountered a problem and needs to close We are sorry for the inconvenience You will need to rerun setup in order to install Windows Choosing dynamic update during setup will possibly remedy this error So you re thinking Why don t you try disabling dynamic update dumbass Well on the numbered list on the left-hand column Step is Dynamic Update whereas I can t even get through Step So I don t think that s an option for me I ve researched this problem online and some people say Get the Ubuntu Live CD and try uninstalling it with that Got it the only thing that happens after I select an option in the Ubuntu Live CD Menu is a box keeps popping up saying Extracting then you see the percent bar bouncing from - like times then nothing happens I ve saw people suggest partitioning the hard drive which is Gigs I know NOTHING about that Even if I knew how to start doing it I couldn t tell ya the parameters to set All them numbers HA I m completely clueless on that If anybody knows anything I can try or do I would greatly appreciate the advice I could do a dual-boot I guess rather not but beggars can t be choosers BTW I do also have another hard drive I could hook-up which has Windows or XP on it if this helps the matter Not exactly sure how but I think I have a round-about idea if not I can easily research it online Thanks for your time and help I appreciate you at least reading all this -Shinin High- Jeremy nbsp

A::Help Installing Windows XP over Ubuntu (Error Msg):

Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears to me that you are trying to remove Ubuntu while actually working in Ubuntu itself. Have you tried booting directly from the Windows disc? You will need to format the hard drive while working off the Windows disc. If you cannot boot from the Windows disc then you will have to get another copy of it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-installing-windows-xp-over-ubuntu-error-msg.757060/
Relevancy 60.63%

I have Installing Windows in Ubuntu with Problem 7 downloaded MB Desktop Edition from it's official website I'm installing Problem in Installing Ubuntu with Windows 7 it along with Windows Home While Installing I got the following screen first allocate drive Space Install alongside other OS Erase and Use the entire disc Specify partitions manually advanced I have chosen Manually Partitioning option rd Option There I got directed to free space option which is Unallocated space that I created in Windows it shows free space MB After clicking on free space I got one window for quot Create Partition quot which says A Type of new partition Primary Logical Selected B New Partition size in MB C Location for new partition Beginning End Question Which one to select is selected by default Problem in Installing Ubuntu with Windows 7 D Use as Ext Journalising File System E Mount Point After pressing quot OK quot button I got the following Problem in Installing Ubuntu with Windows 7 message You have not selected any partition for use as swap space Go Back Continue Please help me how to select swap spaces Kindly leave your email address also so that I can contact you if I encounter any problem after performing your steps

A:Problem in Installing Ubuntu with Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by Akhare1

I have downloaded 695MB Desktop Edition from it's official website,I'm installing it along with Windows 7 Home?

While Installing I got the following screen first :

allocate drive Space

1) Install alongside other OS
2) Erase and Use the entire disc
3) Specify partitions manually(advanced)

I have chosen Manually Partitioning option(3rd Option).There I got directed to free space option which is Unallocated space that I created in Windows 7.

it shows free space 20973MB

After clicking on free space, I got one window for "Create Partition" which says:

A)Type of new partition 1) Primary 2)Logical (Selected)

B)New Partition size in MB 20972

C)Location for new partition 1)Beginning 2) End Question:Which one to select,1 is selected by default.

D)Use as Ext4 Journalising File System

E)Mount Point /

After pressing "OK " button,I got the following message:

You have not selected any partition for use as swap space

Go Back Continue

Please help me how to select swap spaces.

______________________________________?
Kindly leave your email address also so that I can contact you if I encounter any problem after performing your steps

Alrighty then....Ubuntu (linux in general) merely has you create swap space to use in case your ram gets low and it needs to "swap" things out of the ram to the HD. This is identical to the page file located on Windows systems. In most cases if you have 2GB or more RAM for Ubuntu I would safely say you don't need it since the page/swap file is only used when your RAM is being filled to the maximum and objects are not able to be discarded from the RAM to clear space. Ubuntu takes very little memory to begin with....I have never used more than 1.2GB at a time. If you don't want the swap space (I don't use it personally) than just click continue (this has no consequences)

Now....after all of that....if you decide that you WANT the swap space....here is what you do

1. Erase the root partition (you made it as ext4 journaled with / as a mount point)
2. With the new unallocated space, make a 2 GB (I think that is sufficient) partition->Set the type to logical->set the mount point to swap
3. With the remaining space, make the root partition(/) as logical and ext4 journalized
4. OPTIONAL: Make sure to allow the GRUB boot-loader to install to your HD not just the partition that Ubuntu will be on....I have always recommended this as GRUB does a fine job handling pretty much every OS out there. If you choose to keep Windows as the default boot loader, you will have to jump through some hoops with the bcd store (EasyBCD for this) to have Ubuntu be able to boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/118079-problem-installing-ubuntu-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi guys,

I tried installing ubuntu on my HP pavilion dm4 today by dual booting it and keeping both windows 7 and ubuntu on the different partitions. I installed ubuntu 10.10 succesfully but the thing was when i am restarting the laptop..its asking me to choose the operating system but when i choose windows 7 it says to repair the system and to repair i should have a Windows 7 DVD. I got the system 10 days back and i had no back up of the system and i think my HP recovery was also crashed. I dont know what to do..Can anyone suggest me how to bring my WIndows back?

the good thing was ubuntu was working good and i am using it now...

A:my windows crashed while installing ubuntu

A new HP will have recovery options available at bootup. I think it's usually F11, but you can look on the screen to see the correct button. This will allow you to start from scratch.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/141138-my-windows-crashed-while-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have uBuntu installed on my Compaq CQ42 right now. I want to install Windows 7 but when I boot from a DVD I get a black screen and a blinking cursor.

When I boot from a USB Drive, I'm able to enter the setup and boot properly but when I click Custom Install, I get this error:

No drives were found .Click load driver to provide mass storage

When I browse, I'm unable to locate my hdd, it just show a drive which is the USB, cd rom etc but not my laptop HDD.

How do I install Windows 7 side by side ubuntu.

Please help

A:Problem installing windows 7 on ubuntu 11.04

It should work like this: Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux - Windows 7 Forums

Is Ubuntu booting? If not is the HD even registering in BIOS setup? If not check cables and test the HD with maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan followed by a full Disk Check.

Sometimes GRUB can corrupt Win7 to where it won't repair or install. You may need to wipe the HD first with Diskpart Clean Command to clear the boot sector of code, allowing install of Win7 and then Linux.

Where did you get Win7? Is this a known good installer which works on another PC? If not try another ISO from Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/289701-problem-installing-windows-7-ubuntu-11-04-a.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I was running on my laptop a vista (OEM install from HP) which was installed over 2 partitions, one for the OS and another "recovery" partition. When installed windows 7, I shrank the vista partition and installed windows 7 onto the free space, leaving the recovery partition, so I ended up with vista, win7, HP recovery partition, which worked fine.

I just installed ubuntu 10.04 over windows vista, and the menu recognizes

Quote:
windows vista (loader) (on /dev/sda3)

which is the recovery partition, and when I select that it goes to the menu for vista to repair an installation.

I have 2 questions:
1: how can I get windows 7 working again? (reinstall bootloader?)
2: to get windows 7 working again should I delete the HP Recovery partition? since windows 7 doesnt make any use of it...

Many thanks!

A:cannot boot windows 7 after installing ubuntu!

Quote: Originally Posted by civint

I was running on my laptop a vista (OEM install from HP) which was installed over 2 partitions, one for the OS and another "recovery" partition. When installed windows 7, I shrank the vista partition and installed windows 7 onto the free space, leaving the recovery partition, so I ended up with vista, win7, HP recovery partition, which worked fine.

I just installed ubuntu 10.04 over windows vista, and the menu recognizes

Quote:
windows vista (loader) (on /dev/sda3)

which is the recovery partition, and when I select that it goes to the menu for vista to repair an installation.

I have 2 questions:
1: how can I get windows 7 working again? (reinstall bootloader?)
2: to get windows 7 working again should I delete the HP Recovery partition? since windows 7 doesnt make any use of it...

Many thanks!

You need to use a program like bcdedit. instructions on how to usse it are here. BCDEDIT - How to Use

Yes you can delete the recovery partition.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/84430-cannot-boot-windows-7-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade my laptop to Windows 8. I currently have Ubuntu 12.10 installed alongside Windows 7. I've had a lot of trouble getting ubuntu installed and working (AMD graphics ) so I'd like to just leave that as is.

Is it possible to just install windows 8 over W7 in the same partition? How do I go about doing that? Is it as straight forward as just putting the disk in or is the whole secure boot thing going to cause issues? I want to do a clean install rather than using the upgrade assistant to install W8 over W7.

Cheers

A:Installing windows 8 with Ubuntu 12.10 already in place

If you install Windows 8, it will replace your current bootloader and quite likely Ubuntu will no longer boot. Here is an article that will help to restore GRUB bootloader after Windows has overwritten it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/19082-installing-windows-8-ubuntu-12-10-already-place.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Well, I've been trying to get some games running on Ubuntu 12.04 for a couple of months now and finally got sick of it. Decided to set up a dual-boot with Windows 7 and use Ubuntu solely for school purposes.
Anyways, the problem: I can't seem to boot from the install disk. I've changed the BIOS options to boot from a removable DVD first, but that doesn't work, and simply using boot options on startup doesn't show the disk as an available boot location.
All of the pages I've found say I need to format the drive, but none actually explain how. If anyone has experience with Ubuntu 12.04 and installing Windows, help would be appreciated.

A:Trouble installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu 12.04

Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux - Windows 7 Forums

If you have problems with the steps ask the tutorial author in its Comments section.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/310933-trouble-installing-windows-7-over-ubuntu-12-04-a.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi I m planning on purchasing the following Windows over 7 Ubuntu Linux Installing laptop Ubuntu Linux version Intel Celeron amp Processor ULV U M Cache GHz MHz FSB Aberdeen Silver for WLAN inch HD WLED Display x with Anti-Glare MP Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu Linux Webcam with Digital Mic for Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu Linux Win GB DDR - MHz SDRAM DIMM GB RPM SATA Hard Drive Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Intel GHA HD Dell Wireless n BT Combo For the price point I really like what is being offered except that I don t want Linux as the OS and would rather install Windows I recently did purchase Windows so I was wondering if it is possible to install Windows in place of Linux OS that it comes with Since there is not CD DVD-Rom what would be the best option to do it In addition is the process of deleting Linux and installing Windows pretty complicated I just dont want to mess up the laptop like drivers etc If Windows can be installed only then will I purchase this laptop I ve been trying to find a proper instructions link to do the above but no such luck so far Any advice will be highly appreciated Regards nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

Some time ago I had installed Ubuntu over Windows 7 completely. At the time I had Windows 8 and to put it lightly, I didn't really like it as much as I thought I would have.
But I keep having thoughts of reinstalling my Windows 7 just because I miss my games so much. xD

If you're wondering if this has a CD, it doesn't. It was preinstalled on an Acer Aspire that I bought off Amazon.com. So what I'm trying to figure out is how to reinstall Windows 7 that is still in my desktop somewhere from Ubuntu. Not sure if this should completely be in this Windows 7 forum or in some other forum. >.>

A:How to Reinstall Windows 7 after Installing Ubuntu

Did the computer come with a recovery disc? Or perhaps there is a recovery partition or drive on the laptop itself.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-reinstall-windows-7-after-installing-ubuntu-643151.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Need help badly. This netbook, has ubuntu installed. I wanted to put Windows 7 on it but I can't see the HDD during setup. BIOS detects it just fine.

I have read that Ubuntu does something to the partitions. When I do diskpart, list disk, I can only see one disk with 15GB space (Netbook has 160GB HDD). When I go into recovery in windows 7 and go command prompt it sends me directly to "X:sources" where X seems to be some kind of Windows 7 recovery image???
Please help if you have experience, need a stept by step guide or tutorial on this.

Thank you.

A:Installing Windows 7 (can't see HDD) (has ubuntu installed atm)

I guess the 15 GB is the disk space in which ubuntu is installed . Do you want to keep ubuntu or not ?

Download Partition Wizard Bootable CD , burn it in a disk . Boot from the PW disk , you will see the rest as unpartitioned space . Format it as NTFS primary partition (if you want to keep ubuntu, otherwise you may format the entire disk as NTFS primary using partition wizard ) .

Now you can install windows .

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/120964-installing-windows-7-cant-see-hdd-has-ubuntu-installed-atm.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have had an Ubuntu/XP system for a while now, but yesterday it started bluescreening just after the windows logo on every attempt to boot. Also, while I can boot into Ubuntu fine, I cannot access the data partition which is pretty scary! I havent backed up in a good few weeks.

I dont have a recovery disk to run chkdsk from, what can I do?

Thank you for your time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-ubuntu-xp-windows-not-booting-cant-access-data-partition.641502/
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a dual boot for windows 7 on 1tb hdd and ubuntu on 60 gb ssd. I've been using ubuntu but when I tried to choose windows 7 it didn't work so I ran GRUB then the option for windows 7 disappeared can you help figure out how to get to windows? all of the system files are still on the hdd.

A:Had dual boot for windows and Ubuntu, lost windows, help?

Additional info:
I just went into the boot menu and tried to boot from the hdd with windows seven and it took me to the menu where there used to be a choice of ubuntu or windows 7 then booted straight into ubuntu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221803-had-dual-boot-windows-ubuntu-lost-windows-help.html
Relevancy 60.63%

hi
i was on my dads comp browsing and suddenly the comp retarted... after that it only goes till the windows logo and restarts again... i tried few thgs but nothing worked... then i inserted win xp cd and was shocked to see that c drive was empty... i mean i havent formatted the drive then how in the world can it be empty...i havent formatted the drive... im 100000000% sure about it...
is there any software which can retrive the data... i think it was because of virus
can any1 plzzz tell me how to recover the lost data from that harddrive... my dad had pretty important data on that comp and had no backup...
thx

A:how to recover lost windows

You could get a portable version of linux, mount the hard drive on the computer and copy the files over. If you need any help with this i will be happy to help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-lost-windows.736504/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have an Acer Aspire 3680, and I noticed that my wifi is really bad on my Vista partition (I can barely move spots without disconnecting or slowing down) But my ubuntu partition wifi is perfect. I can move around freely and hardly ever disconnect. The Atheros drivers are installed correctly, I believe. So I don't know what the problem could be,.

A:Bad Wifi on Vista partition, but excellent on Ubuntu partition?

Do you have the latest wireless driver from Acer's web site?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bad-wifi-on-vista-partition-but-excellent-on-ubuntu-partition.943365/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi everyone,
I was trying to format my laptop and install a new version of Windows 8. I deleted my old Windows 8 partition and tried to install the new version, but I got an error about some GPT stuff.
I've looked for what it is and I found out that I could have just reinstalled Windows 8 using the Update and Recovery of Windows.
The problem is that I don't have the Windows 8 partition anymore. Is there a way to recover it now? Or do I have to install a new version of Windows 8?
In case, could you tell me how to go around the GPT problem?

My Laptop is a Lenovo Z580 and I haven't done anything after deleting the Windows 8 partition.

Thank you!

A:Recover deleted Windows 8 partition

Originally Posted by Gnottino90

I deleted my old Windows 8 partition and tried to install the new version, but I got an error about some GPT stuff.

Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).

Quote from this post: UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

Tip
Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to MBR disk in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on a GPT disk.

- Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then delete all partitions on the disk.

Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to GPT disk in UEFI Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on an MBR disk.

- Delete all partitions on the disk, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode.

Originally Posted by Gnottino90

My Laptop is a Lenovo Z580

If you have a Lenovo laptop that came with Windows 8/8.1 preinstalled.

How to install Windows 8/10 64-bit in UEFI Boot Mode.

You do not need to change the UEFI firmware (BIOS) settings. For example, you do not need to change the boot order of drives, or disable Secure Boot, or enable Legacy BIOS (aka CSM) boot mode.

- Connect your Windows 8/10 64-bit USB flash drive (Note: FAT32 file system) or insert your Windows 8/10 64-bit DVD.
- Shut down your laptop.
- Press the NOVO button (see screenshots below). The system loads boot options.
- Select the BOOT MENU option.

- Select your USB/DVD from the boot menu (see screenshots below).

Here is more info:

UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

How to download and clean install Windows 8.1 if you have an OEM computer with UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8/8.1 product key. -> link

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/68145-recover-deleted-windows-8-partition.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have my netbook dual-boot WinXP and Windows I used EasyBCD for the dual-boot setup In booting into Win I used to have the option of the quot repair your computer quot which brought one several useful tools if there is problem booting Of course the exact same tools are on Recovery 7 Recover Partition? Windows the Win setup DVD which I have However with a netbook I don't always have the USB DVD drive with me or the DVD and that recovery Recover Windows 7 Recovery Partition? stuff boots up much faster from the HDD partition than from the DVD So I think it is good to have Not at all like the notebook manufacturers recovery partitions I wouldn't want to use those at all wiping out all my data Recently I upgraded to a larger HDD I used Acronis to clone my old HDD at that time in the notebook to the new HDD attached via USB enclosure It was an older Acronis version long predating Win I don't know if I would have had better results with a new version Well at first I could not boot at all with the new HDD installed I was able to fix that though I forget the details of it at the moment Also my drive letters I have four partitions-drives were messed up so somehow the Acronis cloning did not keep that information and I had to fix that in both XP and with Disk Management For the most part though my partitions were all intact in the new drive Being a larger HDD I increased the size of a couple in the Acronis interface I realize now though that I do not have the recovery boot-up option any more That can show up while booting into Win and pressing a key but if one chooses it it just tells one to put in the Win DVD Therefore that option of booting from the recovery partition seems to be gone Looking in Disk Management from Win I see an unallocated partition I think about GB I think Is that the Win recovery partition Did Acronis copy it correctly but somehow the boot sector on the new drive cannot access it How can I fix that Please no suggestion of a clean reinstall of Windows No It is not urgent as I have the Win installation DVD which can do the same thing but I would like to get that capability back How can I get that Thanks in advance

A:Recover Windows 7 Recovery Partition?

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized full Disk Management drive map with listings, using Snipping Tool in Start Menu. Screen Shots

If you cloned the HD over then the Recovery Partition should be intact, although whether it will still run from the hotkey at boot is questionable. What is your make and model so we can advise you on trying to boot Recovery?

If Repair console is on the HD it is the 100mb System Reserved partition placing it on the F8 Advanced Boot tools menu. What options do you have on that menu now? Does Repair load if there?

Since you have the DVD to use the preferred method of reinstall, you probably don't really need the Recovery Partition anyway, so may want to recover its space if it doesn't cue up to run from boot. You can always order Recovery Disks from your tech support if you didn't make them when Recovery was still working from All Programs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/157106-recover-windows-7-recovery-partition.html
Relevancy 60.2%

The partition where I install programs and keep the drivers seems to be gone Here are some of the pics I took to help you understand my problem I tried Partition Wizard then it couldn't find my Gb Partition Windows/Programs it? Gone,Can recover I partition I know I should have taken the Windows/Programs Partition Gone,Can I recover it? picture after the full scan recovery partition was done But it still couldn't find that partition So I was already too frustrated to do it I'm very new to Windows so I don't how my Tb HDD has partitions Mb Gb and Gb How this all happen and what I've been doing well - last week my PC started failing to boot Win - I could access Safe Mode though - then on the next day somehow it could go back to Win like normal - after using it for several minutes it just stopped working I couldn't even move my mouse pointer so I pressed reset button - then it started failing to boot my Windows again - this time I couldn't even access Safe Mode - it would load some drivers then it'd reseted itself - since that day I've been researching found this pretty awesome site and figuring out how to restore my PC to how it was - I've gone to several places to get system repair disc - I've been trying to fix it via system repair disc's automatic repair thingy for many times - I've been attempting to fully search my HDD for the lost partition with Partition Wizard - I've been trying to find the lost partition with Power Data Recovery free ver - but everytime the app started the background looks very bright and pinky and everything becomes unreadable - regardless I still tried to find it Power Data Recovery waited for around or so hours I think I found the Gb partition but I couldn't figure out how to restore it - pressed the wrong button and all the scanning result was gone so I must wait for hours again if I want to reattempt searching for the lost partition so if anyone knows how I can restore my PC to how it was please post thank you for reading

A:Windows/Programs Partition Gone,Can I recover it?

I can't open the screen print attachments.
Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

Here is another thread you can look at that lists some programs you can try.
Recovering data from a 'RAW' hd

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221843-windows-programs-partition-gone-can-i-recover.html
Relevancy 60.2%

While trying to reinstall Windows on a home PC we pulled the wrong hard drive and did a clean install on a drive that was being used to store a ton of files videos images documents etc rather then a smaller drive that should have had Recover (Windows Deleted Partition 8) the OS installed on it The original partition on the storage drive was deleted and then had clean installed on it Is there any way to recover that deleted partition to get the files back Right now we re running a SuperScan with Active Partition Recovery on the drive in question and it looks like it s going to take about hours to complete What s worrying us at the moment Recover Deleted Partition (Windows 8) is the software is showing the deleted partition and has folders from it in it but there are no files For example no videos or images yet I m wondering if Recover Deleted Partition (Windows 8) that just means the scan needs to complete or what I don t know if anyone here has used Active or has a better recommendation for partition recovery if it s possible at this point but the partition we re hoping to recover is listed as quot Good quot Thanks in advance for any and all advice if you need any more information just let me know nbsp

Relevancy 60.2%

Since I installed Ubuntu onto my computer, I couldn't boot the Windows 8. I tried installation DVD to repair, but it didn't work. I tried these solutions; solution1, solution2, none of them worked either. I tried refreshing, it stopped at 37%.

When I use diskpart to list partitions from command prompt via the installation DVD, I chose the right partition, but I couldn't activate it.
How can I fix that ?

A:Windows 8 Boot problem after installing Ubuntu

Welcome to EightForums.

Try a Reset.
How to do a Reset
Reset Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/19941-windows-8-boot-problem-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 60.2%

hello friends..,i'm new to this forum and i need some help here..

my os is windows seven,and i installed linux for a educational matter.then when i boot the computer i had to choose the os from the grub.And today morning i formatted the partition which is linux installed.then i unable to boot from windows seven.After that i installed windows seven to the partition which is formatted.now i'm using that one.But i still unable to boot into my old windows seven.here's the problem.. .how can i recover the old seven and boot into it..?please somebody help me..

A:help needed..! recovering windows seven after installing ubuntu

Please post back a screenshot of your full Disk Management drive map, using Snipping TOol in Start Menu - attach file using paper clip in reply box. Tell us what is located where.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/112881-help-needed-recovering-windows-seven-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi

I have been trying to install Windows 7 onto an Asus X5DIJ with Ubuntu installed on it. The Ubuntu install was on the laptop when I got it but won't get passed the login screen. My only other computer is an HP Mini Netbook which I used to make bootable USB. The USB is a brand new 32gb SanDisk Cruzer Extreme 3.0 and I used the Windows USB Installer tool to make a bootable version of Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit from a legal iso downloaded from heidoc.net. I've set the BIOS to boot from Removable Disk but whenever I start the laptop up it just goes ahead with the faulty Ubuntu boot. I checked the POST and the usb is showing there and the light on the usb blinks at startup. Any ideas?

Thanks

A:Installing Windows 7 over Faulty Ubuntu Install

Hi,

Can you double-check to see that the bootable USB drive is inserted into a USB2.0 port, not a USB3.0 port?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/289144-installing-windows-7-over-faulty-ubuntu-install.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello all!

I recently received an HP Slate 500 from a friend of mine who had installed Ubuntu 10.04 onto it. Being unfamiliar with Ubuntu, I am wanting to install Windows 7 Home Premium onto it. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm doing. After researching the forums, I've tried to boot the tablet from a USB Stick, but for whatever reason it's booting straight to the Ubuntu desktop without even noticing the drive. I've made sure that the BIOS is set to boot the USB drive first, but still no dice. Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

T.

A:Installing Windows 7 onto an HP Slate 500 Tablet PC over Ubuntu 10.04

You have to set the boot device PRIORITY to boot from your usb stick 1st, not the boot disk sequence. That can be left to boot from the hard drive 1st. After the 1st reboot during the install you have to change the boot disk priority back to the hard drive 1st again. If you don`t it will keep booting from the usb over and over. How do you plan to activate 7 ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/222346-installing-windows-7-onto-hp-slate-500-tablet-pc-over-ubuntu-10-04-a.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi folks I get my new Inspiron R Special Edition just a few days ago And I need to install the Ubuntu to do my researches for the university Since I needed to change the partitions I decided to install the a copy of the Windows I have here But something happening when I was change the partitions installing the Win I couldn' t see any partition and get the error quot We couldn' t load any drivers blablabla quot After that I solve this problem searching on the internet and change in the BIOS in the advanced tab the quot SATA Operation quot from quot Intel Rapid Sto rage quot installing 12.04 8 Windows 17R SE Ubuntu Troubles in Inspiron and to quot ATA quot Then I install Troubles installing Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 in Inspiron 17R SE the Win and I am not able to boot anymore Smart as I am I try to do quot in my way quot and I deleted all partitions to make my own configuration I don' t need to say that anything else is working now I tried to do three -step restore of the Windows partition quot System Reserved quot but it didn' t work Also I tried to install the Ubuntu but I am not able to record the bootloader in any partition Right now I have the partitions as follow HDD MB - System Reserved Windows GB - Windows Partition GB - File Partition GB - Ubuntu GB Unlocatted Will be the linux SWAP SSD GB - Partition I create to try to avoid the Windows to try create the quot System Reserved quot partition here I'm thinking that the boot is in the HDD Please if there anything that someone could tell to help solve my problem I'll be really thankful Thank you

A:Troubles installing Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 in Inspiron 17R SE

If you can boot, open Windows Disk Management and post a screen shot of what you see there so we can better see what is going on.

Do you have installation discs for Windows 7 and 8?

Do you have a 25 character Product Key for Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/257917-troubles-installing-windows-8-ubuntu-12-04-inspiron-17r-se.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I previously had windows operating system For some use I also needed the ubuntu operating system I have the ubuntu bit on a cd In order to use the new operating system to Unable after windows installing ubuntu boot I had the need for a new drive But I've got a Hewlett Packard laptop so in order to create a new drive for installing ubuntu Unable to boot windows after installing ubuntu I deleted the SYSTEMS drive as that was the possible solution given online After doing this I completed installing the ubuntu OS but now my windows OS is not to be seen when booting I get possible options Ubuntu Windows Recovery option Now in order to open the windows OS I dont have an option so I tried the windows recovery option and I restored it to a previous date and that was successfully completed But my point is that I'm still unable to switch to windows OS need some help in this regard cause I dont want to get stuck with Ubuntu all the time

A:Unable to boot windows after installing ubuntu

When you deleted the Windows system partition, you deleted your Windows bootmgr. Now you have to set your Windows 7 partition as active and then run Startup Repair 3 times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/295962-unable-boot-windows-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi. I was using Windows 8.1 installed on my C: drive a few days ago. It got infected with virus so I decided to install Windows 10. I formatted my C: drive and installed Windows 10 on it. Once I opened my Windows and went to E: drive, I recalled that I had encrypted everything using EFS and had forgotten to take a backup of the certificate and now I need to recover it somehow.

Very little space on C: drive has been overwritten. I ran a deep scan to recover files and found about 3M files on it. Is there a way I can find out the certificate file? Any pattern or extension I should be looking for? I've already tried .efx but it gives nothing. Is there any other way to recover the certificate?

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/75803-how-recover-lost-windows-efs-certificate.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hey guys I've tried searching a lot about this topic but couldn't find an answer or maybe it was too complicated for me So basically i 'm trying to restore my windows home premium to factory settings I don't have a backup CD and I can't find my product key which is supposed to be in an sticker at the back of my laptop Well there is a sticker but its been two years and the sticker has been washed out sort of and I can't properly see the product key now My HP G notebook PC has partitions Drive C is where all of my data is stored Drive D is named recovery which I guess is a manufacturer's recovery partition It occupies about GB of memory The third partition has nothing I was manufacturer's recovery partition recover Need to 7 my windows using thinking I could restore my laptop to factory settings using this manufacturer's recovery partition but a Microsoft support guy told me I'll need the product key and a windows disc for this to work So what do I do now How do I get my product key I tried contacting HP to see if they could help me with the product key thing but since I don't live Need to recover my windows 7 using manufacturer's recovery partition in the US they keep transferring the line Need to recover my windows 7 using manufacturer's recovery partition from one department to another I'm so disappointed with their so called support So could you guys please tell me what shall I do now

A:Need to recover my windows 7 using manufacturer's recovery partition

Offhand, I think the MS support guy is wrong.

I've never had a PC with a recovery partition, but my understanding is that they will restore without any Windows 7 disc or Product Key.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

You'd need the Product Key from the sticker if you were going to do a clean install, but you aren't.

I think the recovery partition will self-activate.

I don't think recovery partitions are foolproof, so you may have issues of some kind. But generally they work OK.

You must back up any personal data or it will be lost.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/330791-need-recover-my-windows-7-using-manufacturers-recovery-partition.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Okay, so I decided to buy cheap used laptop before I really checked it out. Trusted a freind...

It has Ubuntu operating system ... I bought a BRANDNEW Windows 7 disc from my college ($7.50 + tax for a student!!!)

I put in Win7 disc - tapped F12 - chose "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" for the desired boot device.

It says something like "press any key to...." - but whether or not I press any key, it goes from that screen straight into loading "Ubullpoop"... i mean Ubuntu....

Any help???????????!!!!!!!

A:Trouble UNinstalling Ubuntu and installing Windows Ult. 7 32bit

Quote: Originally Posted by greaterthings

Okay, so I decided to buy cheap used laptop before I really checked it out. Trusted a freind...

It has Ubuntu operating system ... I bought a BRANDNEW Windows 7 disc from my college ($7.50 + tax for a student!!!)

I put in Win7 disc - tapped F12 - chose "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" for the desired boot device.

It says something like "press any key to...." - but whether or not I press any key, it goes from that screen straight into loading "Ubullpoop"... i mean Ubuntu....

Any help???????????!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Windows forums greaterthings.

Are you sure that the brandnew windows 7 disk is bootable and not an upgrade disk?

Normally I touch the space bar when the boot from cd rom line comes up with a bootable cd/dvd in the rom drive.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/176249-trouble-uninstalling-ubuntu-installing-windows-ult-7-32bit.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi,
My dell laptop is dell inspiron 14R with preinstalled windows 8.I want to install ubuntu 10.04 side by side. I switch to legacy boot option too.But could not install it through disk since during partition table creation, it is not showing any os that is preinstalled.Its imp for me to install ubuntu.
I even reinstalled window 8 in legacy mode and SATA option AHCI and then tried to install ubuntu.Even in that case, same problem exists.In case of ATA option, it even doesn,t show any partion to install ubuntu

Relevancy 59.34%

Hello friends,

I am trying to make my new laptop hp- dv6 3174 dual boot with two operating systems Windows 7(which is preinstalled) and Ubuntu 10.10.
But after i install ubuntu, windows is getting erased. I tried repairing with system repair disc but not possible. Even if i put system repair disc it again ask to insert repair disc. And if i try to repair is with system image it replaces ubuntu with windows 7.
I asked some people here they are saying its issue with hp and not windows.
If anybody can solve this issue will be of gr8 help.

thank you

A:Dual boot problem while installing ubuntu 10.10 with windows 7 on hp

Please state it clearly, precisely, I mean.

Can you start Windows 7 now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/152774-dual-boot-problem-while-installing-ubuntu-10-10-windows-7-hp.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I got a dell Inspiron 1420 from my colleague. He had installed Ubuntu (Hardy heron 8.04) Now I want to install Windows XP on it. While running Windows Xp setup I receive a message "Harddisk not detected" Installation doesnt go ahead. Please guide on how to solve this issue

Relevancy 59.34%

I hope I'm in the right forum but here it goes Computer Laptop in question HP Compaq s Let me start off and say that I have been having after erasing installing ubuntu and Ntldr is missing windows problems with this computer and decided to install ubuntu because at the time it was Ntldr is missing after erasing windows and installing ubuntu the only known option available I should also mention that it was the only known option available because the cd-rom is presently nonoperational so Ntldr is missing after erasing windows and installing ubuntu the only way to boot anything is from a USB stick The computer is presently running the newest version of Ubuntu xxx When I installed ubuntu I chose the option to erase windows and install ubuntu only I Ntldr is missing after erasing windows and installing ubuntu now realize that was not the best option Ubuntu is fine but I would rather have some sort of windows operating system so I made a bootable Windows usb key in order to install Windows This bootable USB key works fine on my other computer which is a HP Pavillion A n and running Windows XP However when I put this USB key in my laptop I get the quot NTLDR file is missing press any key to restart quot I can't access the windows setup at all I verified all my boot options and everything is set to USB I have searched all over the internet but can't find anything for MY particular situation I am by no means a computer gooroo but it seems to me that the NTLDR file is in fact missing and I need to reinstall it but how can I do that with Ubuntu Any help would be appreciated thanks

A:Ntldr is missing after erasing windows and installing ubuntu

Hi there
you need to have at least ONE partition marked as active before it's bootable with W7.

If you have s system "Reserved" partition then flag that as ACTIVE. If this doesn't exist mark the "C" partition as ACTIVE. Just setting these as PRIMARY isn't sufficient.

Now if on boot it still gives you a BSOD then just use the recovery console -- boot from the W7 install media and choose REPAIR SYSTEM. It won't change any existing data.

To reset the partitions you need to user a bootable partition manager like GPARTED. Just boot the media and follow the instructions.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/227328-ntldr-missing-after-erasing-windows-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Getting "Operating system not found" message right after I press the power button. This happened right after I did a full install of Ubuntu to a usb drive. Have a Sony Vaio S Series laptop. The Assist button that is supposed to boot from a recovery partition on the internal drive produces the same error. Tried resetting the BIOS to default settings but didn't help (the default is UEFI). There are no hardware issues as I can run Ubuntu and see all the drives. Ran an Ubuntu Boot Repair utility. Here is a summary report output: Ubuntu Pastebin. Any suggestions?

A:Unable to boot into Windows after installing Ubuntu on usb drive

Run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times.

Everything else that can be done is here for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/368283-unable-boot-into-windows-after-installing-ubuntu-usb-drive.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I want to upgrade Vista to Windows 7, but without disturbing my Ubuntu installation, which is dual boot with Vista. I would prefer to do a clean install of Windows 7 over Vista, which has had niggling little issues (I resolve them and new ones appear) ever since I bought the pc. I don't have the recovery discs for Vista (the ones you make when you buy a new system) as they went missing during a major move.

What is the best way to accomplish all the above? Also, from what I understand, a clean installation can be done with an upgrade version of Windows 7 as long as a previous version of Vista or XP is already on the machine? I am not terribly confident when it comes to doing things like this, so would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

A:Installing Windows 7 over Vista on dual boot with Ubuntu

Is your Ubuntu installation on a partition on the same hard disk or on a seperate one?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/208480-installing-windows-7-over-vista-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I was setting up a signature in windows 8 mail, it requires that the sync email box be checked. I exited the setup screen and the program began to sync to (nothing?) no warning that what was about to happen is the loss of all email in the account. Can I recover my emails from the apps EML? and how. Since I am using Gmail and not clearing the server, all of my incoming email is accessible, My sent mail is not accessible. This seems like a heavy price to pay for setting up a signature.

A:How do I recover lost email in Windows 8 Mail

Hi jmcdill6,

Try going in to account and changing "download email from" to "Anytime"

To do this:
1. While in your gmail account press + I
2. click "account"
3. Click in to your Gmail account
4. You should see a field "Download Email" on the drop down box change that to "Anytime"

(please see the screenshot below from Ectech)

Have you tried going in to accounts and removing your Gmail account and then adding the gmail account again .

To do this:
1. While in your gmail account press + I
2. click "account"
3. Click in to your Gmail Account, scroll to the bottom and click "Remove Account"
4. Then you can add the account again and let it synchronize

Give that a try.

Cheers,
Harry

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/41230-how-do-i-recover-lost-email-windows-8-mail.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi
I wondered whether anyone could help. I have lost the parental admin password for my daughter's laptop, silly I know. Is there anyway of changing it as I have completely forgotten it and there is no access to internet on the laptop. It is a samsung windows 7 starter 2009 service pack 1 32 OS.
Many Thanks   

A:lost windows 7 admin password how to recover

Look into the utilman.exe trick.  http://bit.ly/1vvXBOx

Best answer Ive found is this one (says Windows Server, but it works on all modern Windows): http://sysadminstricks.com/tricks/windows-tricks/how-to-reset-administrator-password-on-windows-with-installation-media.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558742/lost-windows-7-admin-password-how-to-recover/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi

Is it possible and how it works to recover Win7 100MB System Reserved partition, deleted by mistake?

A:Recover windows 7 100MB System Reserved partition

Make sure the partition is formatted primary and set active. All other partitions not active.
Make a system repair CD (or download an ISO) from someone's PC. It is in the Backup & Restore screen.
Run the Startup Repair 3 separate times. This should rebuild your system reserved.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/231133-recover-windows-7-100mb-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi My buddy's laptop had a lot of malware on it and today he called me because he can't even log into Windows anymore I tried booting with the last good config in safe mode safe mode with prompt safe mode with networking running chkdsk r in Windows recovery console and running bootfix but nothing worked If I load windows XP normally his system becomes unresponsive after I click on a user name at the log in screen In safe mode with networking I just get a black screen with quot Safe mode quot written in the corners but nothing loads At this point I'm thinking the only boot, to about files? XP installing won't backup [SOLVED] Windows ubuntu how options [SOLVED] Windows XP won't boot, how about installing ubuntu to backup files? I have left are to try are doing a fixmbr or doing a repair install I don't have his activation key for XP but I'm afraid to risk losing his data which I want to back up for him first So my idea is try installing ubuntu as a dual-boot setup so I can access his hard-drive from ubuntu and backup his files before doing fixmbr or a repair install My question is - Is this possible I'm not sure how I can partition the HD for ubuntu given the state of the machine can I do it from the windows recovery console - If I actually can install ubuntu while Windows won't load will I be able to use it to access his files on his drive and back them up on my External HDD - Omelas

A:[SOLVED] Windows XP won't boot, how about installing ubuntu to backup files?

You don't need to install ubuntu you can use the live cd to access the HDD and

backup files.

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-windows-xp-wont-boot-how-about-installing-ubuntu-to-backup-files-489237.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Ok I have been trouble shooting this for ever to np help Anyways let me be very descriptive so I dont get told to do something I already did or something thats not part of the problem I installed ubuntu with wubi I can acces the grub menu it shows windows and ubuntu I can log into ubuntu fine I can access all my windows files on ubuntu useing wine well the very few that work in wine When I select Windows cursor with black ubuntu after screen boots Windows into installing it gets pass the splash screen and Windows boots into black screen with cursor after installing ubuntu were usually my log in screen shows up I now get a black screen with my mouse cursor I tried ctrl-alt-Delete did not work all f options except start up repair go to this screen I can access start up repair just fine Repair your computer option says nonthing is wrong Hold on I will feth the results from check disk it says everythings healthy just want to list the partrition order to see if that could be a issue I wouldnt know

A:Windows boots into black screen with cursor after installing ubuntu

Your Windows 7 partition can be having inconsistencies go back to the startup repair as you did before.

Reboot or turn on the machine. As soon as you see your machine's name logo splash screen keep tapping F8. Go to "Advanced Options" or "Repair Computer" Select your language then "Repair Your Computer" An installation of Windows should be detected after that select "Next"

If that does not fix the issue. Do the same as before go to Next again go to command prompt type in

Code:

CHKDSK C: /R

Also you do not need Wine to access Windows files Ubuntu can access all Windows partitions and files via the Ubuntu GUI alone. Wine is used to install and run some Windows programs mainly games written for Windows but experimental at best.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-boots-into-black-screen-with-cursor-after-installing-ubuntu-673949.html
Relevancy 58.91%

On the grub menu windows and ubuntu are both listed as they should be, All windows options even in f8 after the load screen with the bar goes into a black screen with my cursor instead of my login screen. Repair you computer works start up repair says nonthing is wrong. I can acces ubuntu fine. All my windows files can be accesed in ubuntu i can even use some of them with wine. Start up repair says there is no issue.

I checked this in command prompt btw.This mite be helpful how my hard drive is set up acer hds come like this the patrition is split on 2 hds I feel this is the issue.

Or could it be disk 0-4 which is my built in memory card reader I can go inside and disconnect that.

A:Windows boots into black screen with cursor after installing ubuntu

Bump I checked more is this right should any of that stuff be in d and not c or is that for ubuntu

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-boots-into-black-screen-with-cursor-after-installing-ubuntu.1075297/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi 
I have Dell Inspiron 3551 i need how removing Ubuntu and Installing Windows 10
Thanks.

A:How removing Ubuntu and Installing Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 15 3551

MAINISAN,
Below are some  links to help you remove Ubuntu and install Windows 10.
To delete the Ubuntu Partitions:

Go to Start, right click Computer, then select Manage. Then select Disk Management from the sidebar.
Right-click your Ubuntu partitions and select "Delete". Check before you delete!
Then, right-click the partition that is on the Left of the free space. Select "Extend Volume". ...
Done!

How to remove Ubuntu and put Windows back on
Removing Ubuntu and Installing Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 15 3551
Inspiron 3551 Windows 10 Drivers and Downloads

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19981745
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi all I've been researching on how to fix this problem all Windows Ubuntu cannot alongside Windows I After load 7, installing day and I haven't made any progress Hopefully you guys can help I installed Ubuntu alongside Windows on my little sister's HP Mini and Ubuntu is up and running like a champ but when I select to boot Windows I get only a blinking cursor After installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 7, I cannot load Windows I made a Windows repair disk and used Bootrec exe to try and fix the MBR which I thought was probably the issue At first I used only the command FixMbr and then when I booted I got a screen with a lot of text Unfortunately I don't remember what it said now but it was something along the lines of Windows not being able to boot I have since used the commands fixboot and RebuildBCD after backing up my BCD as detailed in this Microsoft article I now only ever see a blinking cursor in the top left corner I am unable to get to a boot selection menu I really have no idea what to do now and I'm having extreme difficulty finding out what to do from here I really appreciate any help you are able to lend Thanks

A:After installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 7, I cannot load Windows

are you still able to boot to ubuntu after trying those fixes? also did you create your own partitions for linux or did you let ubuntu create them? finally was win 7 the original os that came with the computer?

if you are able to boot to linux, go to the file explorer (not sure of what it is called in ubuntu - same as windows explorer) and make sure the windows partition is there. if not able to boot to linux, boot to the ubuntu live disk and check.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/after-installing-ubuntu-alongside-windows-7-i-cannot-load-windows-903369.html
Relevancy 58.48%

At times, some miskeying causes the email that I am still writing, to completely vanish. It can NOT be found in Drafts, or Outbox. Is there a method of recovering it ?

A:How to recover email lost from Windows Live Mail ?

You are out of luck. There is no way to retrieve an unsaved draft.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/320964-how-recover-email-lost-windows-live-mail.html