Windows Support Forum

dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit

Q: dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit

Hi My installation was FAILED i have windows xp bit pre-installed in C drive I was trying to install DUAL BOOT xp with Windows in D drive NTFS using ISO image file of Windows bit ultimate present in my HHD i mounted the ISO file of windows with the help of Virtual drive The installation started normally but in the FINAL step Finalizing installation when system restarts to perform configuration etc but instead (pre 64 bit Windows 32 7 dual with boot Xp bit installed) of that i got message quot Failed to install windows and rolling back changes quot Important NOTE Using virtual dvd rom i mounted and install dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit Windows quot bit quot all right There was NO problem at all of dual booting windows xp bit and windows bit on the same hard disk on different drives so my question is Windows bit cant be dual boot with pre loaded Xp bit or tell me how to do it please i got gb ddr ram and i want to run bit dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit OS windows to utilize it maximum My system info Dell OptiPlex GX ghz gb ram ATI HD- mb Hard disk space on D Drive is GB

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit

One of Brink's great tutorials to get your teeth into: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/175846-dual-boot-windows-7-64-bit-pre-installed-xp-32-bit.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello all new here my pc config is intel Dual XP dual boot no boot then but tried Solved: installed boot options Vista quad gb ram gb hd OS is XP Pro with SP Okay I heard people speek highly of Vista and no so highly so I decided to give it a shot and make my own decision XP was installed a few weeks ago and is on disk gig partition created another for E Vista Ultimate and have unallocated for now My other drive is just for games At first I used Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options the remaining for Vista the first time Everything loaded fine was online with Vista was updating drivers and then I rebooted Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options to finish the install for some drivers and the boot options never came up it booted right to XP I looked at the partitions and it shows Vista there so I looked in XP boot ini and it shows boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect NoExecute OptIn I checked around and people said to add Vista to it so I did and added this boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect NoExecute OptIn multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate quot fastdetect It gave the options to now choose one but when I choose Vista the screen goes blank no cursor or anything display is x someone had suggested that already If I choose XP it boots fine I then Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options decided to format the the partition with Vista cd and made a Gb and I now have a Gb unallocated for now as described above did the install again and samething loads fine everything looks pretty but as soon as it is rebooted it goes right to XP no boot choices If you check boot ini only shows one OS Vista is nowhere to be seen and once again if you add it to the boot ini going to My Computer props advanced and editing that way it does the samething when chosen boots to a blank screen I decided to go the msconfig route and checked the boot paths and it showed the one for Vista as invalid which is the path I have above I am clueless now and I don t wat to start from scratch meaing wipe everything clean and try doing Vista first and then XP I searched around the web and most of the issues I found was that XP would not boot after a dual boot attempt Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks and have a good one all nbsp

A:Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-installed-then-tried-vista-but-no-boot-dual-boot-options.707518/
Relevancy 71.38%

I need to run a Carestream driver for RVG 6500, a dental imaging sensor, and install an intra-oral camera by Runyes. I am currently using Windows 8.1 that came pre-installed on my HP Ultrabook, and even though I like the operating system, it does not install the applications I mentioned above

I would really appreciate if someone could help me resolve this issue.

Things I have Already Tried in Vain
PC Settings>Updates and Recovery>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Advanced Settings>Enable Unsigned DriversOracle Virtual Machine: The wireless network adapter for the RVG 6500 system cannot be configured in the virtual machine as it fails to provide the appropriate network driversDual boot with Windows Vista: Fails to read the hard drive for installation and does not install on portable drive

A:Dual Boot on pre-installed windows 8

Look at this thread. It's short and I think it'll give you the info you need.

Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/35179-dual-boot-pre-installed-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed on my SATA 1TB HDD. I also have an IDE 250GB HDD onto which I've installed Windows XP Professional 32-bit. Using DualBootPro,I was able to get Windows 7 to boot correctly, however XP now gives me the error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I have Googled the heck out of this problem and tried a number of fixes that have not worked:

I tried replacing the hal.dll file with the one from the XP install disc.
I tried rebuilding the boot.ini file.
I tried adding Windows XP boot info to the windows 7 bootloader.

My bcdedit output in command prompt can be viewed on the Untitled-1.jpg attached.

I am fairly experienced in dealing with some of this stuff but I'm stumped. Please help!

A:Dual boot XP with windows 7 already installed

Hello, welcome!
It is unlikely you are really missing hal.dll. What is most likely happening is that XP is looking at the wrong place to boot from. You were on the right track rebuilding the boot.ini file, but perhaps you need to go farther. The fact that you are getting that message means nothing is wrong with the MBR.
What you need to do it manually edit your boot.ini file. Rembember that the drive/partition numbering starts at 0. I have attached a sample boot.ini file for you to look at. Your problem is probably the drive number.
boot.ini.txt

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/46424-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB C E Sony VPCEB C E updates Download updates for VPCEB C E It had Windows home premium x on it and installed xp W7 Windows first. with 7 dual boot Cannot but the hard drive went bust and I Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. lost everything I own a Windows professional x cd and license which I used as my laptop did not come with cds I would like to play some old games which do not run correctly in quot xp mode quot Anyway back on track a week ago I attempted to dual boot it using the excellent tutorial on this forum everything went fine it rebooted Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. and booted into xp x I have slipstreamed my SATA driver and net framework x everything was looking up I tried to install easybcd but it needed net framework my VAIO is capable of running xp because at the Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. above link it gives me the correct SATA driver and a utility to create a cd with the correct drivers for my software at this point I had no internet so I shut down the laptop and ran easybcd from windows I ran easybcd v and foolowed the guide once done I moved a few files across to the windows xp partition drivers mainly I had not spare cds so I used total mounter to mount a virtual RW cd drive I then rebooted the computer and selected Windows XP from the boot menu and it complained about ntoskrnl exe being invalid I sorted this out and since then it has suffered from a BSOD B I have wiped the data on it and installed xp but it would move the files onto the disk and and reboot into the BSOD To get rid of this I had to change the boot drive in W from the system reserved partition to my main C drive i then deleted the system reserved partition and now it will boot into win and complete the installation of xp but once the laptop reboots after installation to boot xp for the first time I am met with a BSOD again B I am literally stuck I have searched and searched for answers to this problem I have tried many things but they all end in that BSOD after installation I know I have the correct driver because it worked the very first time I have tried burning a second copy of the xp installation but there is no difference If I select safe mode is BSOD's at acpitabl dat my research has told me that it is due to an incorrect driver which cannot be the case because it has worked before I have a feeling it is something to do with easybcd Is there an easy way to undo what it has done Since I ran easybcd xp BSOD's I have read about putting sata into IDE compatibility mode in the bios I cannot do that my current bios R Y does on give my the option to As I say this has been happening for a week i have searched using google and read many pages but not found a solution It would be great if someone could say quot run cmd and type 'boot xp damn you quot quot but that said it wasn't a recognised command how apt

A:Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first.

Did you have a look at Option 2 here: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/265202-cannot-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-w7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 71.38%

My situation is usually the opposite of what I've found online. I upgraded to Win 10 and I'm quite comfortable with it, the problem is that a critical application for my job does not work with this platform. As I have space, my preferred option is to dual boot with Win 10 and Win 8.1 on the system. Please guide me on how to go ahead with this endeavor.This is quite an urgent requirement so I'd appreciate help.

A:Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed

The M$ article:http://tinyurl.com/p79786jand another approach..http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how...If wishing to play or otherwise with win-10 I would be inclined to do on its own computer, or go the dual boot path.And... if dual booting... first ensure "all" data is safely duplicated/copied elsewhere - typically DVD, but an external hard drive (or NAS) too is nice(r) - just in-case...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/dual-boot-windows-10-and-win-81-with-win-10-installed/144.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I have and dual boot 1st How can installed) Windows 7 I have (8.1 8.1 already How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed) seen steps to do this on this forum when Windows is on the machine first but this does not fit my situation as I will soon convert my Windows to Windows because I don't want it to be OEM any more so I can transfer my whole system over to a new pc in the future via image backup I also have a full version of Windows Once I upgrade OEM Windows to Windows how can I used the full version of Windows to create a dual boot Is upgrading Windows to Windows likely to cause any problems According to the test program the only issue is Skyrim won't work any more And I saw online a Windows driver for my printer PS I would want both operating systems to be on their own separate partition FURTHER INFORMATION THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST I tried upgrading Windows OEM to Windows full version but it did not work so I reverted to my image backup to make my pc same as it was before So instead I am wanting a dual boot with Windows and Thanks for reading my post

A:How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed)

Hello and welcome winuserd have a look at this Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista it might give you an idea on what to do.
It is from the 8 forum's site (a sister site to this one) - might be an idea to join up to that as well I did and I upgraded my main laptop and the Sandy Bridge from 7 to 8 then 8.1 with just an upgrade disk (the 8.1 was a free download).

Having said that I have both the 8's running in 7 mode (look) using Classic Shell as I prefer the desktop look but they are certainly faster than my other 7 machines.

PS I forgot to say I cloned the 7 to new drives before I upgraded so that I can flip the old drive back in if things go south.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/323869-how-can-i-have-windows-7-8-1-dual-boot-8-1-1st-installed.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hii I have some problem regarding Windows and XP dual boot I have first installed Windows in C Drive after that I made more partitions in the remaining space After which I installed Windows XP Pro in F Drive which was successfully installed making Windows Boot Option Obselete while booting I mean to say that when ever I start my system it starts with Windows XP as default without giving any option for Windows After which Issue:Windows First) 7 XP and 7 boot(Win installed dual I made several try to make my Window to Boot but not succeed I have tried The Boot ini file changed manually of F Drive i e of XP as st Try boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows quot noexecute optin fastdetect multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect nd Try boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows Issue:Windows 7 and XP dual boot(Win 7 installed First) quot noexecute optin fastdetect multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect With all these efforts I got the Screen with both options for Windows as well as for Windows XP while Boot but unable to Boot with Windows where as from here I can choose the Windows XP and start Please suggest Sumit Rastogi

A:Issue:Windows 7 and XP dual boot(Win 7 installed First)

Welcome to SF!

No problem at all. First, mark your Windows 7 partition as active.

Then, run a startup repair on Windows 7.

That will make the default boot entry 7's boot loader, and XP will be inaccessible. To fix that, add XP manually to 7's boot loader using EasyBCD 2.0. You will need to register with a free account in order to download.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/81270-issue-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-win-7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello I'm new here.

I had Windows 7 on my hard drive and I partitioned it using the partition tool built into windows. I installed Windows XP afterwards and now when I got to My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings (while I'm in Windows XP) under default operating system it only shows Windows XP.

After I partitioned the drive for 7GB I installed Windows XP on the new partitioned drive known as E drive, I still see C drive in my computer, and all the files and programs I had on Windows 7!!

How do I get back to Windows 7!!
Please please tell me I didn't installed over it!!

A:Dual-Boot: Windows only showing One OS Installed! HELP!

If you use the windows partition tool it deletes the hard drive... so I don't understand what happened here.

Assuming then that you used a partition tool that doesn't delete the hard drive then check your disc drive. Does it have a disc in it?

A third thing is this: you partitioned it but the drive you intended to install xp on was too small, so the installer by default selected the bigger one and you accidently installed xp over windows 7.

I really don't understand what you are saying. Those are three posibilities from what I get out of this post. please rewrite it so we can narrow down what happened.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/72349-dual-boot-windows-only-showing-one-os-installed-help.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I am writing this on another computer I can assure you that I have 7 Windows installed Dual-boot, computer on a with with XP Problem never found myself in this kind of frustration when it comes to computers I have a computer which has Windows installed on it I have some old games and applications I've always wanted to use but couldn't because of compatibility issues I decided to follow a tutorial here on this forum to install Windows XP using dual boot Now my computer has two internal Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 drives An SSD of GB with Windows on it and a TB drive which I split into two Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 partitions in order to be able to install Windows XP I have also supposedly slipstreamed the Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 drivers into the installation All went fine in the setup until it had to restart It restarted and I was greeted by the Windows XP Pro loading screen I was proud of myself that I had managed to do it oh wait only seconds passed and this beast BSOD pops up Error code x B I tried to restart again and noticed I am stuck on Windows XP now something that has to do with the bootloader from what I've read I tried inserting the Windows OEM disk and performed a repair used the bootrec commands Kept saying no element found made the partition active using diskpart searched for COUNTLESS hours on the internet maybe something on some forum could be of some help nothing And finally MY WORST MISTAKE was deleting the partition I quot installed quot Windows XP on When I try to boot I'm now stuck with Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from the selected boot disk Check boot path and disk hardware Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for addition information I tried using diskpart to change the drive letters back to the original ones nothing I think that this message I'm getting is coming from XP I need some REAL help with this How to get back to Windows Are my files safe Will using an adapter to connect the harddrive as a USB to another computer get me back my files I've done a backup but I forgot that some more up to date files are in my GB SSD drive I am in some real trouble and need some help ASAP I know how to format but I would like to keep that as a LAST resort Thanks

A:Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7

If you have separate hard drives then you should have unplugged the Win7 SSD to install XP on the other hard drive so this could not happen. Then boot your choice via the BIOS.

Now unplug all other drives and peripherals besides the Win7 SSD, confirm the 100mb System Reserved (if you have it) or the Win7 partition (if you don't) is Partition Marked Active,

Then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts.

If you want to install XP, unplug all other drives except the drive you want it installed upon. Using the XP CD, I would delete its partition, create and full format new to make sure you have the XP partition table.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/374282-problem-dual-boot-installed-xp-computer-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Dear Sirs, I have tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 12.04.5 on my Windows 10 (pre-installed) HP Envy 15AH. Even if I try to run the LiveCD, the LiveCD's hang, and the installed Ubuntu crashes or hangs. I have also tried a LIveCD of Fedora, and the same things happen. I have checked that Ubuntu should be suitable for UEFI installation, and I cannot see why even the LiveCDs hang. How can I get an good installation of (ideally 12.04.5) to work on the laptop? I contacted the company I bought the laptop from - having paid extra for support - and they said I should ask you! Many thanks for your help. Yours faithfully, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-install-dual-boot-Windows-10-pre-installed-and-Ubuntu/td-p/5614511
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I am using Windows 8.1. I have an Acer Aspire V5-571P computer with Windows 8.1 pre-installed. I want to install my licensed copy of Windows 7 Professional on it as a dual boot to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I have seen that it can be done, but I cannot figure out how to correctly do it. I have already had to re-install Windows 8.1 once from a USB Recovery drive which was not fun. So can someone help me out with this? I'd really like to learn how to do it and get it done. I love windows 7 Pro but I can't figure out how to do it.

I have already turned off secure boot in bios. However, UEFI mode is still active vs legacy bios which is the other mode I have.

A:Dual Boot Acer Aspire V5 with Windows 8.1 Pre-installed

You will need both Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8/8.1 installed in Legacy mode.

On some Acer, Gateway, P. Bell, Windows 7 x64 will not install in UEFI mode.

Windows 8 Desktops - How to Disable Secure Boot - YouTube

Enabling the boot device menu

Originally Posted by Acer

On most Acer systems, you can use the F12 key on boot to select the drive or network from which loading the operating system. In case the F12 option does not work, you may need to enable this function.

SOLUTION

Enabling the F12 function:

1.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
2.Press the right arrow key to select Main.
3.Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
4.Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
5.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot

Originally Posted by Acer

This article only applies to: Windows 8 Desktops

Bootable media from previous versions of Windows may not be recognized in Windows 8. You can change the Secure Boot setting and it should recognize the bootable device.

Use the following steps to change Secure Boot:

1.Completely shut down your computer.
2.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press Delete to enter the BIOS.
3.Use the right arrow key to select Authentication.
4.With Secure Boot highlighted, press Enter and then the down arrow to select Disabled.
5.Use the right arrow key to select Boot Options.
6.With Launch CSM highlighted, press Enter and use the down arrow to select Always.
7.Press Enter.
8.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44518-dual-boot-acer-aspire-v5-windows-8-1-pre-installed.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi

My pc info -

AMD Athlon(tm) 5150 APU with Radeon(tm) R3

Motherboard Gigabyte AM1M-S2H
Northbridge AMD K16 IMC rev. 00
Southbridge AMD Kabini FCH rev. 7.2
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 4 GBytes

Windows Version Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

DMI BIOS
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version F2
date 06/20/2014

Hi

I have windows 7 installed on c drive.

I would like to dual boot with winxp.

I slipstreamed with AHCI driver.

When the windows xp installation menu loads to partition choosing page.

It shows my whole HDD as one partition.

The partition is like - Partition1 Unknown.

WinXP is not able to read the hard drive partition.

How can I fix this ?

Thanks and Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/392657-dual-boot-windows-7-already-installed-win-xp-partition-unknown.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello All I have Windows Dual installation Windows Boot already 7 installed 2003 in Windows Server Laptop on Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop-432998.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello All Windows Laptop Boot on 2003 Server in installed installation Dual already Windows 7 I have Windows Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards nbsp

A:Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop

Couple of things you can do after installing 2003.

Boot from the W7 dvd select repair my computer and do a startup repair, most of the time this fixes the bootloader for W7, but then 2003 may not boot now. So then you need to install a BCD editor software in W7 to get both of them booting properly.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

If startup repair does not get W7 booting again, there are some commands you can do from the W7 recovery environment to get the job done, (boot from the W7 cd, select repair my computer, then command prompt)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop.878387/
Relevancy 68.8%

I have a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 10 on a primary m.2 disk.
It also has an HDD that I divided into partitions.

Now I have an old laptop that has Windows 7 that holds programs and files that I left behind. I want those programs accessible in a Windows 7 environment. Therefore, I cloned my Windows 7 to a spare partition on my laptop's HDD. Right now, I have Windows 10 on primary SSD and cloned Windows 7 on a partition of secondary HDD.

However, the problem is that, while the disk cloning process went successfully, it's not bootable. So my question is: how do I make the disk with Windows 7 bootable?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57645-dual-boot-setup-pre-installed-windows-10-cloned-windows-7dows.html
Relevancy 68.37%

How do I do this? I tried following a tutorial in the tutorial section, but the option to delete volume in grayed out.

A:Remove Windows 10 from dual boot with Windows 7, Win10 installed first

It`s grayed out because it`s the Active partition and has the system files on it, if you were to delete it then Windows 7 would not boot anymore.

The Windows 7 partition must be made Active and the System files have to be written there before you can delete Windows 10.

The proper thing to do is backup your files, wipe out the entire drive and reinstall windows 7

Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/401647-remove-windows-10-dual-boot-windows-7-win10-installed-first.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

I've read that i should install XP first. But I already have windows 7 installed and dont want to wipe that drive clean and reinstall.

Is this possilbe? To add a new sata hard drive and install xp 32bit to an existing PC running Win7 64 bit. With having a boot option at start up?

A:Solved: Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-with-windows-7-on-2-harddrives-windows-7-already-installed.902342/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi I have looked all over for info on what will happen if I try to install windows on a new partition for a lenovo laptop that already has windows installed and this does not seem to be a common scenario nbsp TLDR I want to install windows side by side with Windows that is already installed but what I read HERE nbsp made me worried that installing windows on a windows box was not going to on a has windows boot windows dual 7 Installing machine installed that 10 already be the same as installing windows on a windows box I was going to do it from windows by mounting an iso but I could also just do it from a usb boot whatever is Installing windows 7 dual boot on a machine that already has windows 10 installed the easiest nbsp Warning You must install the older operating system first and then install the more recent operating system If you don't for example if you install Windows Vista on a computer already running Windows you can render your system inoperable This can happen because earlier versions of Windows don't recognize the startup files used in more recent versions of Windows and can overwrite them Can anyone advise as to whether or not this is a true danger or if there is a way to get around the problem This is a work machine which is why I want to do this over the weekend because I can't afford to be offline during the week testing this kind of thing nbsp Thanks for the help Luke Reasons for doing this nbsp I am a developer and my new laptop came with Windows I tried in the beginning to get some of the pre-installed bloatware removed with mixed luck tried several different reset scenarios none of them quite did it I manually uninstalled what I could but the machine has never run well despite having reasonably good specs gen i SSD gigs of ram it doesn't run as well as the year old dell of similar specs that it replaced after dying It comes out of sleep slowly and gets bogged down by visual studio and a lot of my other tools I have gone through a lot of tweak guides and disabled unused settings and spent a fair amount of time on nbsp Long story short I have a feeling a fresh install of windows will run fine on this hardware and I really don't want or need any of the features of Windows which I don't hate it just doesn't have any benefits for me especially on my developer machine and I want to install windows to see if it works better nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4e7dfe7-60c2-4e76-a362-efab9999a47b/installing-windows-7-dual-boot-on-a-machine-that-already-has-windows-10-installed?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 68.37%

I installed Windows 8 RP on my laptop on another partition but my Windows 7 in C:/ got lost. How do I install it again?

A:HELP! Installed Windows 8 (dual boot) but lost Windows 7 Basic

My dual boot works, Win7Ultimate64 on C and Win8Enterprise64 on D, I just hope you did a system image or back up before installation, not unless you are sure of what you are doing.. Before Win8 installs it will ask you the location where you will have it installed, if Win7 really got lost maybe you mixed up the installation.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8140-help-installed-windows-8-dual-boot-but-lost-windows-7-basic.html
Relevancy 68.37%

i have win 7 and it is working fine with lots of programs, paid and free and many without discs etc.
i expect to set up a dual boot ... win 7 and win 10
i have never created a dual boot before and i'm not a "techy"

#1 can the win 10 find what ever it needs and run the "installed" win 7 programs?

#2 should i just plod along with the win 10 and gradually download and install programs on win 10 while using win 7 for most of my work until i get most of the programs running in win 10?
i can't afford to buy a bunch more programs and i'm getting too old to just jump in and find and download/install a bunch of programs all at once

#3 how will auto updates of windows and other programs and drivers work with the dual boot setup?

thanks for your comments/advice

A:Solved: win 10 dual boot can win 10 find and run programs installed by win 7 "Windows

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-10-dual-boot-can-win-10-find-and-run-programs-installed-by-win-7-windows.1149945/
Relevancy 68.37%

This is my dual boot windows XP pro with Vista installed first After I done everything and step into installing drivers for sound graphic network etc on installed keep on few after Windows newly disconnect minutes XP Boot) (Dual drivers. Windows XP that has just installed So I've search on Google for compatible drivers it says Realtek E Driver Windows XP (Dual Boot) keep disconnect after few minutes on newly installed drivers. is compatible for XP for my motherboard After the installation the driver name I saw was totally different it turns into Realtek PCIe FE Famiyl Controller With this newly installed driver I always get disconnect after few minutes And I need to restart the computer modem in order to get into internet and repeat the same thing it keeps disconnect after few minutes later But before the disconnections occur the internet is really really times slow than my normal And I able to connection to skype msn online games existing country only without disconnect till I close it Then I re-open the programs back it couldn't connect And another thing is while I playing those games I alt-tab and try to surf internet browser it says not found and I still able to go through internet and play games Am I using the wrong driver I'm following the driver that what supports my motherboard Motherboard model GCT-HM Compatible Drivers Realtek e Computer Retailer HP OS Installed on Motherboard Vista OS Installed on Motherboard Dual Boot Vista Original XP nd OS Reference OS XP Isn't I'm using the wrong driver or my computer has gone wrong I don't think so because it's just installed XP I've been tried drivers The first one I was trying Realtek RTL x and it also the same problem occur on my dual boot XP So I've uninstalled the previous one and install this Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller but still the same Nothing get fix Hope could solve my problems Thanks a million

A:Windows XP (Dual Boot) keep disconnect after few minutes on newly installed drivers.

What is the exact model number of the HP system?

Look on bottom label if laptop; label on back if desktop.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-xp-dual-boot-keep-disconnect-after-few-minutes-on-newly-installed-drivers-539947.html
Relevancy 67.94%

can I dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

Samsung notebook model: NP300E5C-A08SA

A:dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

yes you can, as long as it is on it's own partition or disk

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/64551-dual-boot-windows-vista-pre-installed-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi All Recently I installed Windows Pro on my system in a SSD after a few weeks I noticed that the OS Windows later) Installed & 7 7 (With 8 Windows Dual Boot isn't compatible with certain programs I use so I wanted to install Windows Home Premium alongside it Since I don't really want to clean install after installing I installed onto a separate HDD within my case I've now got to the stage of the black background white Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later) text boot menu which shows Windows and Windows but whenever I select Windows it just reboots the PC back to the Boot Splash screen Bios Post screen I've repaired the install with Windows discs and with Windows discs and neither seemed to help I've used EasyBCD installed on Windows to create the boot menu and that doesn't help anything either When Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later) in Windows the Drive letters are such C is Windows W is Windows Short of clean installing I really don't know quite what to do Any suggestions Before it is asked that drives have been in that case since I built it and not moved from a seperate machine Thank you for your help

A:Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later)

Welcome to EightForums.

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management from Windows 8?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums
For better help with problems, Can you post your specs.

Filling out System Specs - Windows 7 Forums

System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14296-dual-boot-windows-7-8-windows-7-installed-later.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a brand new Dell XPS 8700 with windows 7 pro installed. I am trying to install windows XP pro to be able to dual boot. I have already succesfuly set up new partition and am having trouble with the XP install. After a little while into the installation I get the following message "file acpi.sys is corrupted" and the installation ends and windows 7 reboots. I have done research online and haven't been able to find a specific solution to this error message. I have been given several links to dual booting instructions and none of them include this specific error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Relevancy 66.22%

I installed Windows 7 to a machine that had XP already installed. When I start the computer it just boots into XP. There is no boot manager giving me an option to boot to Win 7. I accessed repair from the Win 7 disk on start up and ran bootrec /fixboot and it said everything was cool but same issue. When I was installing Win 7 it ran thru the whole set up routine and restarted several times into Win 7. I shut it down when it said it was finished but the next morning it started up in XP. Would fixmbr help if fixboot didn't? Any suggestions?

A:installed win 7 dual boot with XP already installed, can't access Win

Confirm that the 100mb System Reserved (if you have it) or Win7 partition (if you don't) is Partition Marked Active,

then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts and is marked System Active in Disk Mgmt.

Then install EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required) to Win7 to add XP by name, allow it to autocomplete drive letter, Save and reboot to Dual Boot menu.

If any further problems, post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/365521-installed-win-7-dual-boot-xp-already-installed-cant-access-win.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Greetings!

Is it possible to setup a dual boot with an installed Ubuntu and installed Windows and have options to boot from ISOs that are stored on the harddisk? Something like this would make a great setup for a diagnostics machine

A:Possible to do dual boot to installed OS + have options for ISO boot?

Closest thing I can think of is booting from vhd.

https://hardforum.com/threads/possible-to-do-dual-boot-to-installed-os-have-options-for-iso-boot.1905516/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a Dell laptop that I just put a 40 gig hard drive in. I partitioned it 3gig, 17.5gig, 17.6gig. I had originally put Win 98SE on the 3 gig but decided to go with XP. I reformated the 3gig partition and installed XP on it. When it boots up it asks what operating system I want to open. If I click on Windows 98 it just comes up with C: drive (3 gig partition). So I went back in and reformated all the partitions and reinstalled XP and it's asking the same thing. Does anyone know how to get rid of this? Do I have to remove the partions and reformat then add the partitions back in then install XP? Thank you in advance for any help.
Rick

Relevancy 61.92%

What a fantastic forum with plenty of active engagement.

After reading the dual boot guide, I prepared my PC as follows yesterday

Created a separare partition on one of my Hard drives and did a custom installation of Win 7. Thsi all worked fine and I can now dual boot into either Win XP or Win 7.

My reasoning behind the dual boot was to give me some time to install all programs etc on Win7 whilst still having Win XP

I have a couple of questions

1) Once I am happy with the state of Win 7. I would like to retire the Win XP partition. How would I go about this and reclaim the space and add to existing partitions
2) Is there anything I woudl need to do on the dual boot screen so that it goes straight into Win 7

Thanks for your help

Kwack

A:Installed Win 7 dual boot alongside XP

Glad to here that you were able to accomplish your task using one of ourprovided reading materials

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30911-installed-win-7-dual-boot-alongside-xp.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have Ubuntu 9.04 installed on a laptop already and I wanna dual boot with Windows 7 RC1. How do I?

A:Dual Boot - Ubuntu Already Installed

First you need to partition the hdd .I recomend using Acronis Disk Director Suite v10. http://www.acronis.com/promo/choose...rector suite&gclid=CLuLq7K3-poCFRKLxwodrB3leQ

Boot from the win7 cd and follow the instrutions.

After that format the new partition that you plan to install windows 7 on.You need to format it to NTFS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-ubuntu-already-installed.833152/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi, This is my first post in any forum. I have an Asus with win8.1. From n old PC I have a HDD with XP. There is a program on that disk, for which I have no serials, no installation disk, nothing. Is it possible to boot from that external HDD or any other way to use just this program. It is an aacountant program, so I do need it.

A:dual boot with xp installed on external HDD

Hello and welcome to eightforums .the simple answer is no,sorry

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/57486-dual-boot-xp-installed-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi!

have a bit of a problem, and im not sure if the way round iv done things was stupid or not!!

Anyway, I have my machine, with XPPro installed on, bought another H/D and installed vista 64 on it, however i installed vista with the xo drive unplugged, and i cant work out how to get an OS choice on boot!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Relevancy 61.92%

Can someone lay to rest the deal with dual booting with vista/xp? I read and tried all the forums out there on steps how to dual boot xp with vista installed first and nothing has worked for me. I have a quad core gateway with 3gb of RAM with 500gb HD.

A:Dual boot xp with vista installed first

You need a boot agent if you inmstall Vista first like Symantec "Boot magic" that is on the Partition Magic cd.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-xp-with-vista-installed-first.639588/
Relevancy 61.92%

I would like to dual boot with Ubuntu x64, but I do not know how. I have never dual booted before. I read up on how to dual boot with Vista and Xp, but that was with xp installed first which I do not have or want. I am currently running Vista Ultimate x64 on my HP dv6000 Laptop, with 2gb of ram. Also can I do a dual boot with Ubuntu x64 and have it installed on an external hard drive instead of my C drive? Thanks in advance. I have learned a ton from this forum already and I appreciate everyones desire to help.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/137882-how-dual-boot-vista-x64-installed-first.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,
Thats what the tittle says, got a laptop that came with windows 8 pre-installed.
I really need to use windows xp, and no, virtual machine won't work with the software I'm using.
Only options I got is either get dual boot to work with xp and 8 or I'll just get rid of 8 and install xp.
Don't really want to get rid of 8 but if theres no choice...
So if someone knows how to do it, please help me out.

Thanks

A:Dual Boot XP with 8 (Laptop pre-installed 8)

I am not sure I will be able to help you, but one preliminary question--are you running under BIOS or UEFI?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/21008-dual-boot-xp-8-laptop-pre-installed-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I am using Windows 7 home premium. I would like to have a dual boot system so that I can boot in XP or Windows 7. I already have Windows 7 installed. I like it and it is working fine, however, I want to do some beta testing of Office 2010. Optimum situation would be to install an older copy of XP I have to a parition on an external USB drive. When I boot my Dell, press F12 and have it allow me to pick the partiion on my USB drive to run (XP).

I have googled Dual Boot Windows 7 but almost all the tutorials have to do with XP being installed first and creating a partition for Windows 7, the opposite of what I want to do.

I know enough to know if I mess this up it can have unpleasant ramifications. Just trying to find some detailed instructions specifically for what I want to do.

A:How install Dual Boot after Win 7 has been installed

Download Virtual Box and install XP as a virtualized OS. No mess for partitions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/43227-how-install-dual-boot-after-win-7-has-been-installed.html
Relevancy 61.92%

how to dual boot win 7 with xp win 7 installed first

A:how to dual boot win 7 with xp win7 installed first?

Hello Ravi,

Do you mean to triple boot with Windows 7 when XP and Windows 7 is installed, or dual boot with XP installed first???? If triple boot, then did you install XP or Windows 7 first? Please clarify.

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/25575-how-dual-boot-win-7-xp-win7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hey Today I did a clean win install some hours ago but I screen boot OS even one installed Dual only though have I had to change some settings to disable UEFI boot on the bios or something similar I set the main boot thingy to DVD-RAM instead of DVD-RAM UEFI so as to boot from the cd and create a master boot record Everything went fine and I don't know if this is related to what I Dual boot screen even though I only have one OS installed just mentioned but when I boot up my PC I get to the dual boot screen where it lets you choose what OS you want to use I get two options Windows the one I installed and Windows which I never had lol I haven't picked Win on the menu yet because I'm afraid something terrible might happen and I might lose all my data I got HDDs both are MBR in one I got all my important stuff and the other one is for the OS Is there a reason why that happens and a way to disable it Thanks in advance My motherboard is a Gigabyte Gaming

A:Dual boot screen even though I only have one OS installed

Could you please supply a screen shot of Disc Management, including everything on that screen. The Forum link below shows you how to do that & included in this link is a link on how to do a screen shot if you need it.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/389370-dual-boot-screen-even-though-i-only-have-one-os-installed.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have Win 7 installed on my netbook, for watching movies would be XP better. So I have divided the disk into 2 partitions, I have an installation file with Win XP on my disk... I have read some tutorial but still am not sure how to do that - as I do not have CD/DVD on my ntb (and an easy way, hot to repair a system), I would like to avoid a situation with a broken OS. :-)

A:how to make dual boot XP and 7 when 7 is already installed

Hi,

Try the following...

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create
OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/148247-how-make-dual-boot-xp-7-when-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Greetings!

On one of my 1 Tb disks, I installed at first Win7-32bit (Disk E on the picture). Some months later on the same disk I made a new partition and installed Win7-64bit (Disk C on the picture). When I boot I am offered to select which OS I want to use.

Now I would like to delete the Win7-32bit partition to use the place for something else (non OS).

Question: May I simply delete the partition where Win7-32 ("E" on the picture)? Won't the boot be affected?

Thank you!

A:Delete a partition when Dual-Boot is installed

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Review this,
Dual Boot - Delete a OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395379-delete-partition-when-dual-boot-installed.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I am setting up a new system for client I would like to add Win in a dual boot so client can test drive Win while still having Win Enterprise -bit as a fallback My personal system is a triple boot Win XP Vista and system but I have no experience with Win yet Target System Configuration Dell XPS with Win -bit pre-installed on TB HDD Am adding a GB SSD Kingston HyperX I will shrink the TB Win partition create a quot User Data quot partition and move all user folders to the User Data partition docs pics Outlook data folder etc etc Can I setup a Install Pre-Installed Dual Boot Win on System Win - 8 7 manually switched OS boot using BIOS setting by a Installing the SSD b Disconnecting the TB Win drive Dual Boot - Install Win 7 on Pre-Installed Win 8 System c Boot Win Installation CD and Install Win and apps ON THE SSD d Reconnect the TB HDD e quot Move quot the Win User Data folders so they point to the Dual Boot - Install Win 7 on Pre-Installed Win 8 System User Data partition Choosing which OS would be done via entering BIOS and changing boot device order OR If I leave the TB Win HDD connected a Boot Win Installation CD and Install Win and apps ON THE SSD b quot Move quot the Win Dual Boot - Install Win 7 on Pre-Installed Win 8 System User Data folders so they point to the User Data partition Will I get the Win boot option screen In other words will the Win install recognize the Win OS partition exists If not can I use EasyBCD to manually modify the boot option to see recognize both OSes Any ideas will be appreciated

A:Dual Boot - Install Win 7 on Pre-Installed Win 8 System

Welcome to EightForums.

I am setting up a new system for client. I would like to add Win 7 in a dual boot so client can test drive Win 8 while still having Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit as a fallback. My personal system is a triple boot Win XP, Vista and 7 system but I have no experience with Win 8 yet.

I take it this a Pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro.

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the uEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.
2) If Using a USB Pendrive on a PC with a uEFI BIOS.
USB Pendrive need to be formated to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/21483-dual-boot-install-win-7-pre-installed-win-8-system.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I have vista on a 320gb hdd, and i have 7 on a 20gb drive, whe i booted up, i had the option of vista or 7, i re-formatted the 20gb wiping out 7 alltogether, but when i boot, it stilll gives me the option of vista or 7, how do i get rid of this to go staright to vista?

thanks alot guys,

A:Installed 7 with vista, dual boot selections?

no one can help? i thought it was a simple thing to remove the selection on boot,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installed-7-with-vista-dual-boot-selections-433932.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I recently bought a Dell XPS M1210 with Vista home premium installed and I can't play any games without it being so choppy I can barely play them at all. I've heard alot of talk abot Vista being bad with games. So I'm wanting to install XP on my second logical drive, I have already downloaded VistaBoot PRO any suggestions will be appreciated.

A:Want to have XP dual boot on laptop with vista pre-installed

Have a read through the "sticky" at the start of this forum. There is quite a bit of interchange of ideas there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/want-to-have-xp-dual-boot-on-laptop-with-vista-pre-installed.608159/
Relevancy 61.06%

Greetings!

On one of my 1 Tb disks, I installed at first Win7-32bit (Disk E on the picture). Some months later on the same disk I made a new partition and installed Win7-64bit (Disk C on the picture). When I boot I am offered to select which OS I want to use.

Now I would like to delete the Win7-32bit partition to use the place for something else (non OS).

Question: May I simply delete the partition where Win7-32 ("E" on the picture)? Won't the boot be affected?

Thank you!

A:Delete a partition when Dual-Boot is installed

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Review this,
Dual Boot - Delete a OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395379-delete-partition-when-dual-boot-installed.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi,

My situation is this, I have XP64 on my C Drive and I have a fresh install of XP32 on my D: Drive (Which is a physically different drive). All I want to do is to be able to dual boot into either at startup. The reason I have re-installed XP32 is because I have an Audio workstation and sorry to say it but the Software just hasn't caught up yet completely. So I need 32 bit windows.

SO, what is the best and easiest (if there is one) way to do this?

Paul

A:Dual boot XP64 & XP32 (Already installed)

was xp installed on the drive on that computer or on another computer? If on that computer, are you able to boot to either xp? if so, then download and install vistabootpro
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

It will help you setup your dual boot and yes vistabootpro will install in xp.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-boot-xp64-and-xp32-already-installed-308566.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello - i HAD a dual boot installed on my computer XP Pro on the C drive and Windows Pro installed on the Drive E and BCD Dual Previously Easy Installed Boot I also had EasyBCD installed on both drives All was working well but i didn't back up the Bootloader Settings Previously Installed Dual Boot and Easy BCD My C drive failed and Previously Installed Dual Boot and Easy BCD i restored it from an Image which was made before i created Previously Installed Dual Boot and Easy BCD the dual boot and I was not given a dual boot option and i cannot boot into Windows I installed Easy BCD on the C XP drive When i open the program i get the following message quot The boot configuration data tore could not be opened The system cannot find the file speciied Would you like to manually load a BCD registry for EasyBCD to manage Pleae note that Eay BCD requires the Windows Vista bootloader and will not work in XP-only environments quot There are no entries in the EasyBCD window Help would be appreciated Thank you Sheila

A:Previously Installed Dual Boot and Easy BCD

Start Win7 by marking it Active then running Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times.
Partition - Mark as Active

From 7 add XP using EasyBCD, accept boot files if offered, reboot to Dual Boot menu.

Since when originally installing Win7 it was apparently incorrectly run from XP rather than booted, you can also reinstall it now from boot so that it always assumes C as intended.
Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/212330-previously-installed-dual-boot-easy-bcd.html
Relevancy 60.2%

My friend, who had a dual-boot system with Windows 7 and one other OS (either a Linux distro or XP) told me that after he installed Windows 8 on a second hard drive, the menu giving him a choice of which operating system to boot went away. Now the system boots to Windows 8. He has found a way to boot to Windows 7 but it's inconvenient. I suspect this has something to do with the tendency of Windows to overwrite the MBR of another drive/OS, even if not on the same hard drive. What can he do to get a proper boot menu that will show all three operating systems? Any help will be appreciated.

A:Loss of Dual Boot Menu After Win8 Installed

i used this to overcome it

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/loss-of-dual-boot-menu-after-win8-installed.1096790/
Relevancy 60.2%

I've recently started dual booting vista and xp on separate partitions.

is there a way I can run software that I've installed on vista when using xp?
obviously I'd like to avoid installing each software twice- once on each OS.

I've googled it and searched the forums, but i only found answers regarding transferring data, and not installations.

perhaps a third party software you know of, or certain folders I can copy?

please help me, I've helped others! thanx

A:[SOLVED] transferring installed software between dual boot OS's

Unfortunately the software needs to be installed so thst it has the correct registry entries and .DLL's in the correct locations.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-transferring-installed-software-between-dual-boot-oss-411799.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hey all, I just installed win 8 dualboot a couple hours ago, to complement my win 7 (installed the developer preview of course). Immediately after, my internet (ethernet or wifi) would not work on my win 7. Ethernet would result into 'unidentified network' and the machine won't pick up the ip address or something, I think. No matter how hard the IT guys tried, they couldn't get it to work. Wi-fi could be because I have a lousy router, but I am not sure. Is there a way to fix ethernet/both? I have a feeling ethernet is 100% related to win8 installation, wi-fi not so sure. I checked the drivers -- they are the same as before. I uninstalled, reinstalled, disabled/enabled, etc. etc. etc., nothing happened. Win 8 internet works fine. Thank you!

A:dual boot installed win 8 --> win7 internet crashed?

Problem solved -- apparently installing win 8 (even dual-boot) induces something in the system that makes your Ethernet card (provided it's Marvell Yukon I think) unusable unless you update the drivers on the Win 7 side. Did that, it works golden now. Wi-fi was just lousy because of the router.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/3551-dual-boot-installed-win-8-win7-internet-crashed.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have Window XP installed on Drive C:\. My son installed Windows 7 on Drive E:\. However, when the computer is booted up, it boots up in Windows 7, without allowing a choice. I suspect this can be corrected in BIOS, but don't want to screw it up. Any help?

A:Dual boot Window7 and XP, both installed on separate drives

You may have installed Windows 7 first and then Windows XP, so, Windows 7 has deleted the boot file of Win XP. The correct order should have been Windows XP --> Then Windows 7.

BIOS does not control the Startup in these case.

Try to install Vista Boot Pro, but you may not get any result.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/130731-dual-boot-window7-xp-both-installed-separate-drives.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hey all I just installed win dualboot a couple hours ago to complement my win installed the developer preview --> internet win crashed? 8 installed boot dual win7 of course Immediately after my internet ethernet or wifi would not work on my win Ethernet would dual boot installed win 8 --> win7 internet crashed? result into 'unidentified network' and the machine won't pick up the ip address or something I think No matter how hard the IT guys tried they couldn't get it to work Wi-fi could be because I have a lousy router but I am not sure Is there a way to fix ethernet both I have a feeling ethernet is related to win installation wi-fi not so sure I checked the drivers -- they are the same as before I uninstalled reinstalled disabled enabled etc etc etc nothing happened Win internet works fine Thank you This is cross-posted at Win forums dual boot installed win -- gt win internet crashed - Windows Forums due to the urgency of the issue I really need my internets on the Win side of the computer Thanks again

A:dual boot installed win 8 --> win7 internet crashed?

Have you tried deleting the network device from Network and Sharing Center? Its under "change adapter settings". You just right click on the device and delete and then just try to install it again.

But you said you used Wifi? Does Wifi work with Windows 8 when its not with your Windows 7? If it does not work with Windows 8 as well, it may be a hardware trouble if you said your router was lousy. Is this a home or an office computer? If you could get a spare router, maybe you could check if that will work instead.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/203773-dual-boot-installed-win-8-win7-internet-crashed.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I`m trying to setup a dual boot. The primary drive has Win98SE. In error, Win2KPro as a new fresh install ended up setup on the primary drive. What is the proper proceedure to remove all traces of W2000 Pro on the pri drive and reinstall on the secondary drive. The second drive (as per Maxtor Support) previously had the Write Dick Pack option (low-level format) using the PowerMax utility. Then using MaxBlast to reformat and partition the 2nd drive. Could you outline the proper proceedures. I class my computor skills as beginner. Although I have installed and max`ed out my PC133 memory. Added a graphics card upgrade, and a 2nd drive. Please make the sun shine again? Thanks, Bruce. PS: I could run a Diag Utility AIDA32, if you need more info. tnx!

A:Win2KPro installed wrong drive, dual boot system.

Since you are dual booting, the best way to Uninstall Windows 2000 is explained in this guide. http://www.budja.com/w2k/uninstall_w2k.html

However, on the other hand, if you just installed Windows 98 with nothing to lose.. you might as well wipe the drive clean using a format and resetup everything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2kpro-installed-wrong-drive-dual-boot-system.131046/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a friend, who has windows 98 installed, he for some unknown reason installed windows2000, and now he boots in dual mode. He wants to take windows 2000 off his system and leave win98. Any idea how he takes 2000 off his system to leave win98 running alone.
(And yes the friend is really and friend and not me),
Thanks.

A:{Advice Offered} - Win2000 installed with dual boot to win98

Greetings

OK... go to:
http://www.xperts.co.za/reuel/multiboot

There, you will see a disc icon with the title "Reuel Boot". Download this file, run it, and it will create a boot floppy.

Boot off the disc, and choose option 4 on the main menu. Then, one the second menu, choose option 3, to rewrite the Master Boot record as a Win98 master boot record.

Now, reboot your machine and see that it goes into Win98 straight away. If it does, then you can delete Win2K completely.

You do this by deleteing the WINNT directory, and the following files on the c: drive:

Boot.ini
Bootsect.dos
NTLDR
Ntloader.exe

Though, personally, I would dump Win98 and keep Win2k. But then again, I prefer better Operating Systems.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-win2000-installed-with-dual-boot-to-win98.28753/
Relevancy 59.77%

This my question is much a WinXp as it is a Win Starting point A tablet notebook Lenovo comes with Win pre-installed The HD Sata by WD MB has three partitions two of them hidden I understood they are the default for a Win installation Problem A lot of software that I use does not run in Win XP mode is too slow I'd like to install win XP in my specific case Win TabletPC side by side Win so to make a choice in which one boot to on not Dual Win7. mess-up? workaround WinXP A Boot: Pre-installed up My Dual Boot: WinXP on Pre-installed Win7. A workaround to not mess-up? understanding I discovered that such a dual boot is not a very easy job a WinXP will destroy the Win boot sector So as a consequence b after installing WinXP I will not able to boot in Win that should be repaired with Win DVD that I do not have Plus c Probably there will be problems with the first hidden partition that sometimes WinXP installation treats differently by putting it as C drive Plus more such as d the boot ini is not part of Win that uses a complete different technolgy so there is the need to adjust within Win the booting phase using often EasyBCD My attempt I do not want to mess up my HD with a direct installation of WinXP TabletPC in my case So I thought the following Make a new partition in my HD Remove physically the HD and attach a different external USB HD Install WinXP in the external USB HD Make sure it works add SATA drives etc Remount the original Sata HD Copy or is it necessary to clone with Acronis Ghost and alike software the WinXP you have installed from the external USB HD into the new partition of step above Make the correction with EasyBCD in Win to add the dual-boot window at startup Win --- WinXP Question s Is my attempt completely silly Or could it work and it is worth a try In the latter case how sould be accomplished step Can you simply copy or Acronis Ghost are necessary Do they write in the MBR HD sector or in boot sector of the other partitions so I am back to square or they keep strictly the cloning operation within the partition you told to use Thank you for any advice or feedback

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-boot-winxp-on-pre-installed-win7-a-workaround-to-not-mess-up-543497.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello,

I have an HP Envy with Win8 pre-installed. I am trying to do a dual boot setup with windows 7, as some of the software I use daily, is not compatible with win8. The new software has yet to be released, and will not run in any compatibility modes.

Knowing this is beating a dead horse, I have searched for hours, and have gotten some of the pre-req stuff done ie: created virtual drive 20gb, initialized it, turned UEFI Mode/Secure Boot OFF, etc.

I can see the vhd, but when I try to load win7, the vhd is not visible. When I exit win7 install, and win8 reboots, I can no longer see the vhd.

I'm sure I'm not doing something right.

A:dual boot setup issue HP envy with win8 pre-installed

Welcome to EightForums.

Take a look at the NOTE at end this tutorial:

Also take note of Step Three, you will need the BIOS setting.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/19005-dual-boot-setup-issue-hp-envy-win8-pre-installed.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello Everyone ,

i was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter :
i have windows7 and Redhat on my Laptop , i have removed and reinstalled the Windows7 last night and after that lost the Dual boot option , in fact the system is booting on windows7 and there is no option to chose linux ,

as far as i know , i should edit the msconfig file which i tried and couldn`t make it dual boot ,

Please check the attachment file ,

Thank you

A:dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot

Read this: Fixed Windows - But Now Grub is Gone?

Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/88580-dual-boot-reinstall-windows-lost-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

A:Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Originally Posted by Carsomyr

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

This is a good MSDN topic:
Adding Boot Entries (Windows Drivers)

Read it and ask any questions, lots of members know this stuff and can help guide you if you need it.

Make sure you're reading the information on BCDedit - that's the tool for Win7 and higher.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/8155-reinstalling-windows-7-7-10-dual-boot-breaks-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 56.33%

hello i have some questions regarding dual booting windows home premium x with linux fedora on dual independantly dedicated drives i am a college student with moderate computer windows knowledge but am doing software development and would like to play around with some linux for a class i have no prior experience with linux and have minimal knowledge of operation i am currently running windows and would like to keep it as my primary os i do not wish to share media files across with and dual 7 drives linux windows boot fedora dual drives or os's windows does that just fine as is and i dont want to get into a third drive my windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives current drive is a tb wd black caviar hdd it is also currently rds full and the desktop is windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives about months old so i would rather not partition the drive for a dual boot i would think that there are some other advantages for the os's operating independantly off their own drives other than if one hdd dies i should windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives still have the other with its os still ok i have read some topics about RAID configs with dual boot setups with dual drives like this but am not very familiar with RAID is there a RAID config that would be beneficial in this situation i currently do not have a RAID card my tower internals are not very accessible and i dont like the idea of disconnecting drives depending on which os i want to operate so what would be the best way of going about this this is a near future project so i am looking for someone with some experience in this area hopefully thanks - garrett

A:windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives

Hi garrettchatt and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Are you trying to ask something? There's nothing there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/142453-windows-7-linux-fedora-dual-boot-dual-drives.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have found guide for dual booting Windows 7 with XP or Vista already installed, but not the other way around.

I allocated some free space from my C drive for the XP install. I installed XP, but when I restarted my computer, I got this error, "A disk read error has occurred; press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart dual boot".

What am I doing wrong?

A:Dual booting XP with Windows 7 already installed

Alright, I'm going to try using EasyBCD. Hopefully that will work.

But please give me your input still.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/19010-dual-booting-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi everyone. I have Windows 7 64-bit and I want to install Windows XP 32-bit for extra cross-compatibility. I know 32 bit apps can work in 64 bit but I also need my printers and other devices working.

I need help with a guide to dual-boot operating systems but I can't find a guide that includes Windows 7 as the first operating system. Could anybody help me by pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-DarkPacMan77-

A:Dual Booting with Windows 7 Installed First?

Here is tutorial:Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
See option two

Edit: Method two...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/23338-dual-booting-windows-7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi

If everything goes well I'll be building my first gaming desktop later this year.
One of the scenarios I'm considering is having 4 hard disks and two OSs,
a1, a2, b1, b2
the a disks would be 128 SSDs each with its copy of Win7,
the b disks would be 1 TB HDDs with data.

I want a1 (when I boot with it) to recognize only b1, the same with a2/b2.
In sum, I want one of the data disks not to be seen/accessed by the "other" OS.

Is this possible, and if yes how?

Regards

A:Windows 7 dual boot dual disks

Just remove the unwanted drive letters in Disk Mgmt and it will not be seen in Explorer.
During install of each OS, unplug all other drives. Set preferred OS to boot first in BIOS setup, then trigger the other OS SSD using BIOS Boot Menu shortcut key.
If this isn't to your liking install EasyBCD to add the secondary OS to a Windows Boot Menu. This way the drives will still be independently bootable to come and go as you please. They would not if you leave the other one plugged in during install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/334748-windows-7-dual-boot-dual-disks.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a dual boot installation with Windows XP and Windows 7 on the same drive with two partitions. Both work just fine.

However most times that I boot from a cold boot, I get NO Boot options menu, just a blank screen and the hard drive light glows red, but it doesn't really seem to be doing anything.

If I press the reset switch, everything works just fine, the computer reboots, I get a boot options menu for selecting the operating system and either one boots up just fine.

If I shutdown the machine for any period of time, I'll get the blank screen until I do a hard reset.

It seems like the boot loader is not finding the ini file with the options, but only on a cold boot? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A:Windows 7 Dual Boot No Boot Options Menu on Cold Boot

Long shot, but could it possibly be a dead CMOS battery?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-dual-boot-no-boot-options-menu-on-cold-boot.897053/
Relevancy 54.18%

Well, I created a dual-boot system for Vista - XP, Vista being installed first. The two operating systems seem to be working fine and well with each other, but the internet is not working for the windows XP. The Vista internet is working normally though. When I go onto my XP's Network Connection, it is blank, no Local Area Network what so ever. I really want to use XP because Windows Vista is Microsoft's fail operating thingie.

Help please

A:Internet wont wor'k after creating a dual boot system, installed xp, xp internet

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-wont-work-after-creating-a-dual-boot-system-installed-xp-xp-internet.869847/
Relevancy 54.18%

okay, i got a computer as a gift that had windows 98 on it, so i wanted to put windows xp (home edition) on it. i installed it correctly and everything works fine, but when i turn it on it asks me to choose the operating system and i'm being given the same choice twice:

select your operating system:
1. Windows XP Home edition
2. Windows XP Home editionClick to expand...

how do i uninstall the other windows XP or disable this screen so i go through start up normally?

thanx in advance for any help

A:Windows XP appears to be installed twice (now I have a dual booting screen)

The hidden file C:\boot.ini contains the settings for bootup. You can remove the second entry from this, but BE CAREFUL and don't remove the one that works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-appears-to-be-installed-twice-now-i-have-a-dual-booting-screen.19289/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello All I've installed Ubuntu to make a dual boot option with Win a number times without major incident On the advice of a tech friend I installed Zorin trial version on a Lenovo Zorin 7 Dual Win Given. installed: No "gone" is Boot Options Now G I never saw any kind of screen asking how I'd like to install it i e dual boot overwrite disk etc Zorin installed without a hitch and appears to be running flawlessly but there is now no sign of Win I talked with my tech friend who uses Zorin at home He told me that since my gig HD is only full Zorin most likely installed itself on a blank area of the disk and Win amp files are probably untouched but 'hidden' How do I get my files back I can Zorin installed: No Dual Boot Options Given. Now Win 7 is "gone" get a legit copy of Win through work so I'm not concerned with keeping that particular copy I can always replace Zorin although I'm not so inclined to at the moment for obvious reasons As far as my own skill level is concerned I rate myself as fairly low but I've been told repeatedly by people who do tech support for a living that I'm amazingly good at following instructions Thanks in advance for your help

A:Zorin installed: No Dual Boot Options Given. Now Win 7 is "gone"

Hello jmcd0264 and welcome to Seven Forums. Sorry for the delayed response but I just saw your question.

I'd suggest that you post a screen capture image of your disk management screen using this tutorial.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

This will let the Forum members see what's on your hard drive and offer suggestions on how to proceed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/374657-zorin-installed-no-dual-boot-options-given-now-win-7-gone.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi guys.

Thanks for looking at this thread.

I have a few questions about dual booting windows 7 and windows 8 preinstalled (UEFI) on my Dell laptop.

1. Can I install a non-UEFI version of Windows 7 on my laptop, if so how?
2. Will installing a non-UEFI version of Windows 7 on my laptop break it?
3. Can I use EasyBCD for UEFI?
4. How do I create a UEFI windows 7?

Thank you

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

Really no point in dual booting since they are essentially the same OS like 7 to Vista.

Choose one and stick with it, Windows 7 will be supported till 2017 (mainstream) and 2020 (security).

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17213-dual-booting-windows-7-windows-8-pre-installed-uefi.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice, my girlfriend has recently got a new laptop and unfortunately she doesn't like it, despite me loving Windows 8.1.
She would like to try Windows 8 but is going back to Uni soon so would like Windows 7 as a back-up dual booted.

I've shrunk the partition and created a simple partition for Windows 7 but really unsure about Installing Windows 7 on a Windows 8 Laptop, it's an ASUS X550CA-XX417H. I've checked power shell with SecureBootUEFI and result is True.

What would be the best way to dual boot?

Cheers,
Ben

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 with pre-installed Windows 8 Laptop

As this a OEM manufacturer's PC with Pre-installed Windows 8?

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

You will need to buy Windows 7.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/37995-dual-booting-windows-7-pre-installed-windows-8-laptop.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi there,

I am currently using Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit) and would like to play World of Warcraft however my Intel 82865g chipset doesn't have recent drivers available and it is currently incompatible with windows Vista.

So, I want to create a partition with XP installed so that the drivers will work and I can play WoW.

However, despite being able to create a partition, I cannot find a way of installing Win XP. I have tried booting from an XP CD but my PC seems to give up and move onto booting from the hard-disk instead and starts up Vista. Why can't I boot from the CD?

Does anyone know how I can successfully install XP on a separate partition with Vista already installed or am I going to have to format and do it the long way, starting with XP and partitioning Vista?

Thanks

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello, today I am trying to dual boot my Pre-Installed Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows 7. I have chosen "Shrink Volume" in Disk Management and I have created a new partition for Windows 7. Whenever I try to install windows 7 on the selected partition, I get the error that the hard disk is GPT type. I cannot convert it to MBR.
I open DISKPART
I write LISTDISK
I only see "Disk 0"
I write "select Disk 0"
Then I write "List Partition"
My hard drive has 7 partitions. My windows 7 partition is 5
I write "select partition 5"
Now, my question is, if I write clean, will it clean that specific partition or my entire hard drive?

A:Dual Booting Pre-installed Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Originally Posted by armenh7

Whenever I try to install windows 7 on the selected partition, I get the error that the hard disk is GPT type.

Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).

Quote from this post: UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

Tip
Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to MBR disk in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on a GPT disk.

- Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then delete all partitions on the disk.

Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to GPT disk in UEFI Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on an MBR disk.

- Delete all partitions on the disk, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69236-dual-booting-pre-installed-windows-8-1-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 52.89%

this is what I did since I have no CD-ROM to install Win I created a partion X NTFS and set it as the ACTIVE ONE the put there the Windows installation files and opened prompt command to type bootsect exe n X next I restarted my computer and automatically it booted into the Windows setup partitiion Windows installed or files in manager boot boot wrong I installed Windows on the partition C Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion and formatted the partition C everything installed and after the installation finished a multiple choice menu appears that reads Windows Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion Windows Setup I believe my error was not to set partition C back as the active one during the installation process where it asks you in which partition to install I just formatted C but forgot to set it as the ACTIVE ONE I have partition in total but there is no need to put them all just the ones that are involved this is how my partitions look Cboot page file crash dump primary partition XSystem Active Primary partition lt lt lt this one became hidden Code Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier bootmgr device device partition Device HarddiskVolume description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit globalsettings integrityservices Enable default current resumeobject d e - - e -b f -efb b a displayorder current dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f toolsdisplayorder memdiag timeout Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier current device partition C path Windows system winload exe description Windows locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings recoverysequence d e - - e -b f -efb b a integrityservices Enable recoveryenabled Yes allowedinmemorysettings x osdevice partition C systemroot Windows resumeobject d e - - e -b f -efb b a nx OptIn bootmenupolicy Standard Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f device ramdisk boot sources boot wim dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f path windows system boot winload exe description Windows Setup locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings osdevice ramdisk boot sources boot wim dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f systemroot windows bootmenupolicy Standard detecthal Yes winpe Yes ems No what I want is to make the X partition a worthless partition just containing the Windows installation files and that everything looks like if I installed from a CD-ROM rather than from a partition please tell in BCDEDIT commands does that mean I have to move the boot files or boot manager into C I also would like to remove the multiple choice screen but more important is to make X partition a worthless partition

A:Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Management drive map and listings:

1. Type Disk Management in Start Search box.
2. Open Disk Mgmt. window and maximize it.
3. Type Snipping Tool in Start Search box.
4. Open Snipping Tool, choose Rectangular Snip, click New, draw a box around full drive map and all listings.
5, Save Snip, attach using paper clip in Reply Box.

Tell us what is on each partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/270703-windows-boot-files-boot-manager-installed-wrong-partitiion.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi.

I accidently installed grub onto the seven boot partition. I can't boot into seven. It loads the ubuntu select os screen, I select WIndows 7 (Loader), and it justs goes back to the ubuntu select os.

Please can someone help?

I still have windows 7 installed, and I have full access to ubuntu.

A:Accidently installed grub onto windows 7 boot partiton. Unable to boot

To Remove Linux take look at this post:
Error 0xc0000225 on boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208957-accidently-installed-grub-onto-windows-7-boot-partiton-unable-boot.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi all I am having some problems I am hoping I may be able to get some advice on I have a new laptop that came with Windows Vista Model is Toshiba Satellite A -S I have been trying to load Windows Repair boot Vista boot dual and and Windows XP MBR loader it with Windows XP because Windows Vista kind of sucks for my computing needs I am pretty sure a format and clean install will wreck my warranty hence the dual boot So far I have been able to partition and install XP SP- to a partition I ve booted into XP fine but my Vista partition is not available I think that the partition table or MBR has been corrupted So to repair Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot this what I did was boot up from the Vista recovery DVD and run the startup repair option to reload the bootloader for Vista and thus enable dual booting When I rebooted I got a black screen saying Invalid Partition Table or something to this effect I tried repairing the MBR and so on and so forth from the console on the recovery DVD but this proved to be Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot pretty much totally fruitless So I went through and did an install of Windows XP once again to my other drive partition I had created So I am basically where I started I need to know if somebody knows how I can repair the drives MBR or partition table to make it readable under Windows to at least pull my important files off of or to boot into Any ideas would be enormously appreciated Attached I will include a visual of what s up with my hard drive situation Thank you Jacob Also I will cross-reference this to a couple of forums I have posted to with no results as they may have some information I have forgotten to include http www geekstogo com forum Hard-Disc-MBR-Problems-New-Vista-Downgrade-t html These are some instructions I came across which more or less explain how I went about doing the install http www howtogeek com forum topic howto-windows-xp-install-on-a-vista-computer nbsp

A:Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-boot-loader-and-mbr-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-dual-boot.666827/
Relevancy 52.46%

Was trying to delete Linux from my dual boot and I accidentally the whole Windows 8 boot loader (again). But this time is worse.

I have Linux installed to get the boot loader back. Windows appears in the GRUB boot menu, but it is corrupted and will not boot. When I try to boot from it, it now goes to a "preparing automatic repairs" screen followed by an "attempting repairs" screen. I'm given an "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC." Then it takes me to the Windows 8 recovery options.

Before it got corrupted, I tried doing a system restore from the recovery options but had to force a shutdown because the restore got stuck and would not end even after 10 hours had passed. That was probably a bad idea.

What should I try next?

A:Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

if you have a windows 8 disk, you can try a startup repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/borked-my-windows-linux-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-anymore-701798.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey guys i installed windows and windows server in different partition I first installed windows and then installed windows server I dont know if that makes much of a difference However -----after installing - Dual boot Windows Server and pro loader 2008 7 boot Windows the server i could not see the windows in my boot loader so i had to turn the windows partition to active- to boot from windows seven -----It turned my server partition to logical and could not see the server os in boot loader So how would i add both of them in the boot loader so that i can select one of the two after i boot I Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader had to download acronis disk director to turn the logical drive to primary again So the question is how is it possible Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to get both the boot OS in the boot loadter I don't want to do a dual boot through vhd just in case someone suggests me that screen shot of my disk Update i changed the windows server partion back Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to active and tried to boot now it says bootmgr is missing

A:Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader

I don't know how marking Win7 Active to repair it so it would start would convert the Server partition to Logical. I've never heard of such a thing.

To add the missing OS, install EasyBCD to add it on the Add New Entry tab.

EasyBCD (free Download at bottom of page - no name or email required)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/244854-dual-boot-windows-7-pro-windows-server-2008-boot-loader.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I am trying to dual boot with 2 different hard drives and 2 different systems. One is Vista x64 and the other is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. After installing the hard drive with Windows 7 which came from a different computer, I used EasyBCD to configure the boot order. Windows vista still works, but when I want to switch to Windows 7 I get:

FILE \windows\system32\winload.exe
info: windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

After some search I have found this old thread from this same forum. Here is the link: dual boot windows 7 and vista boot error winload.exe

The Op seems to have similar problem as me. I just don't get all the follow up instructions in the thread dealing with bootrec since I haven't encountered it before (I think...). Any thoughts?

A:Dual boot windows vista and windows 7 boot error winload.exe

The best way to Dual Boot OS's on separate HD's is to set the preferred OS HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, then when needed trigger the other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.

If this is not desireable, then set Win7 HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, install easyBCD to Win7 to add XP.

Before doing this delete any EasyBCD listing for the other HD you've already made in Edit OS Menu tab.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/355211-dual-boot-windows-vista-windows-7-boot-error-winload-exe.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi all,

I followed some instructions to remove the Windows 8 Dual Boot by just deleting the Windows 8 Partition and that there was no need to edit the boot menu as everything will be done automatically after restart.

Now, when I tried to reboot my computer, the computer hangs at the screen where you are suppose to select to boot up Windows 7 or Windows 8.

As I had deleted Windows 8 Already, it should not prompt me to select to boot Windows 8 but rather directly boot into Windows 7.

How should I proceed from here ? I am currently installing Fedora Dual Boot on my laptop so hopefully I am able to do some salvaging from there....

Thanks in advance !

Warmest Regards,
Zeke

A:Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot

Take a windows 7 installation DVD/USB thumbdrive, boot from it, select "I want to repair my computer" and then do a "startup repair".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294576-windows-7-crashes-boot-manager-after-deleting-windows-8-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi there I just recently installed Vista on a new system Later I found out that there were a couple of programs that didn't do very well with Vista so I'm intending to install XP alongside Vista to run those other programs I did read a couple of threads about the dual Vista XP boot but I stll haven't found the right information to proceed with the instalation of XP I'm running a Vista Home Premium Intel Core Duo E O Clocked GHz Mobo P K-P SE Wifi Gig ram Nvidia GTS Mb HDD Gig First batch of questions pertaining to issue On some of the threads I read it does explain how to install XP on a Vista partition that has been shrinked It explains the installation procedure where Vista takes up of the hard drive BUT NOT if the hard drive has been partitioned already like an extra drive D partition which mine is I've partioned the hard drive into C Gig Vista OS and D Gig My question is quot Can I go about installing XP as mentioned on other threads on to my drive D Can I use ALL of drive D for XP or must I shrink a portion of it to run installed with Dual Vista Vista boot first. XP XP If I do shrink a portion of it for XP what happens to the rest of D Is the rest of D still run by Vista Can you recommend any sites that instruct installing XP on a Vista drive D Issue Performance I've read that one can go about dual booting on the Dual boot Vista XP with Vista installed first. same drive AND on separate drives In terms of ram allocation processor and graphics performance Dual boot Vista XP with Vista installed first. does any of these options cause a detrimental effect on overal performance Since I am a gamer I do not want to see any resources being taken by the extra OS drive Does any one option have any advantages over the other single dual drive for the extra OS What would you recommend Anyway thanks a lot for your time would appreciate any answers about this If there is any information I have ommited about this please let me know at the momment I'm not sure about the setup of the drive SATA or IDE but Dual boot Vista XP with Vista installed first. I'll add that information later today onto my profile Thank you Paulo A

A:Dual boot Vista XP with Vista installed first.

Hello Paulo, Welcome to TSF!

Here is a very good guide to dual booting Vista? and Windows? XP.

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first).
(Click the coloured link to be re-directed.)

Hope this answers your query; report back with the results.

Kind Regards,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-boot-vista-xp-with-vista-installed-first-181380.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Okay well i recently bought my new computer which came with Windows Vista Home bit installed on it I gave vista a chance until i tried to run Counterstrike on it than i find out that vista does not work with the graphics engine counterstrike uses and that i d be better XP and to Installed) Dual (Vista Tried Vista Boot off with XP So i found a good tutorial to dual boot vista and xp Tried to Dual Boot Vista and XP (Vista Installed) here hxxp www pronetworks org forum about html Long story short i found out that i didn t follow the steps correctly and here are the mistakes i made I installed and ran VistaBootPro on VISTA before installing XP Doing this i went to the quot System Bootloader quot tab and chose option windows vista bootloader under Choose a System Bootloader to Install and i chose option all drives under System Bootloader install options and i hit Install Bootloader THAN i installed XP on my separate partition rebooted now in XP installed all my drivers and installed VistaBootPro and followed the instructions from there REinstalled the bootloader and ran diagnostics found the earlier version of windows and rebooted into vista from there i ran VistaBootPro again ran the diagnostics found XP changed the name and changed the boot drive to J the drive i assigned it to i applied updates and rebooted when the dualboot screen came i booted into vista and it was fine so i rebooted to test xp when i tried to boot into xp it said that there was an error and that it could not find the NTLDR file frustrated i reformatted that drive with XP on it and tried to install it again however when i boot from disc i get the BSOD and it says that there is a problem with my harddrive and that i should run CHKDSK F so i booted into vista and ran scans on all partitions and found nothing if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated this is so annoying as i just bought this new computer and it s giving me so many problems nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/tried-to-dual-boot-vista-and-xp-vista-installed.724085/
Relevancy 52.46%

I?m running windows vista service pack 1, 32-bits on my primary HD and i would like to install in my secondary windows xp pro. In this last HD i would also like to make a small partition for some backup files...

Could some1 point me a link or tell me how can i so?

PS-My secondary HD, i?ve it as logic unit..any problem on that?

Thanks in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-can-i-dual-boot-vista-and-xp-with-vista-installed-first-in-two-different-hd-s-306160.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi a couple of months ago my system crashed windows wouldnt boot and I boot, help 7 wont Win disk doesnt boot, startup Ubuntu , windows dual misplaced my installation disk I had Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help the problems several times since obtaining the computer several years ago Lenovo IDeaPad y I attributed the problem to what I believed was a bad hard disk so I replaced it with a refurbished model I installed Ubungu and it worked well ever since I later located my win disk and created a dual boot Windows worked very well for several months until it stopped starting up last week It would get to the black windows screen where it says starting and usually get stuck there I would get fed up and turn it off after half an hour Once it was as the screen and it later started the checkdisk program and found no errors Another time it finally got into windows after a very long loading time and it seemed to work fine until the next time I restarted windows It just went back to the loading windows screen I formatted the windows partition through GParted in Ubuntu and tried the installation disk and it would get stuck at in the quot expanding files quot sequence After an hour of hoping something would happen I got fed up and forced it off again Not sure what to do from this point I have read other posts and it has led me to think that the issue could possibly be bad RAM or an issue with BIOS But Ubuntu has been working fine while Windows has simply been freezing at any attempt of a startup

A:Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help

It could be that the HDD has a bad sector in the Windows partition, or that the drive is actually failing. If there is a utility in Linux that tests memory, I would run it.

You could also use Memtest86+. It runs from a CD/DVD. Let it run for several passes to rule out bad RAM.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/342483-win-7-ubuntu-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-startup-disk-doesnt-help.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi,
It has happened to me twice...I accidentally deleted a partition and later found out that my system is dead....The only way I recover out of that is I reinstall Windows and then install grub again to recover the Linux partition. But I feel the delete partition is a very rapid process just taking seconds and in that I don't think files would be deleted, so I feel potentially I can recover the deleted partitions including the boot partition. But I don't know how to do it. Also now when the boot partition is deleted and the system is not booting up what should be done to recover the system and data?
Thanks in advance,
-pkd

A:How to recover deleted grub/boot partition in Windows XP(Dual boot system))

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-deleted-grub-boot-partition-in-windows-xp-dual-boot-system.871174/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi all I have a dual boot vista kbuntu system I was using windows and was running low of space on my c drive so I thought to compress it Upon completion I re-booted my system to only be made aware og the error message that my Windows Boot Files were compressed and so windows could not be booted I have some questions relating to this issue for which any knowledgeable input would be greatly appreciated Why has Microsoft imposed no safety mechanism or warning upon compressing Windows in and Uncompressing Dual Boot Vista Kbuntu Files Boot the c drive if this is the result of the action Why can compressed boot files be booted This may be a stupid question but I would like to understand I have been reading on the web for possible solutions to this problem The most common seems to be to insert the original OS vista cd boot from it and click Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot repair I have my vista system set up perfect in terms of programs and data Will the repair operation preserve this state Using the CD method above is there any means to uncompress only the boot files and not the whole of the c drive so I can still achieve my original goal of space savings My system is dual boot I can stilll load Kbuntu and access my NTFS c drive on the kbuntu desktop Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot I can even see the specific windows boot files folder I am new to linux but tried to adopt a windows seasoned approach of right clicking the boot files folder and going into properties and looking for uncompress option there Suprise suprise no such option there But since my system is dual boot and I can see my windows boot file folder if there is a means to uncompress these files this way it would seem to be the easiest way of doing it Are there any know possible means by this approach If linux is not up to this job my next idea was to use a storage bridge and connect my hard drive to another computer running windows to uncompress If I try this method does it have to be another vista OS based Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot operating system or would other versions of windows work just as well e g XP and or x x bit OS systems Keen to learn so again any advice or suggestions relating to these queries much appreciated

A:Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot

It would be useful to know the exact mechanism you used to enact the compression, the extent of what you compressed, as well as the actual error message you now see when trying to boot into Windows.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/218772-uncompressing-windows-boot-files-vista-kbuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi,
I have a dual-boot system Ubuntu/Windows 7. The Master boot loader is GRUB.
It worked fine until yesterday when, for some reason, Windows 7 refused to load anymore. I tried to repair with chkdsk, found and repaired some disk errors, but now the boot loader is damaged. The problem I have is that after selecting Windows from the GRUB list I get the installed version entry but I can't have access to Repair through F8 and thus I am not able to continue on the installation DVD. The problem I think would be simple, by writing a new boot using bootrec, but I don't have access to the console.
I've seen a solution/tutorial on this forum except that it requires to remove Linux, which is not at all my scope.
Thanks

A:Recover Windows 7 boot on dual boot system with GRUB masterboot

Information
Boot up using the Startup Repair CD or Windows 7 DVD. (not the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk) If you have a Netbook, you will need a CD/DVD drive.

NOTE: Make sure no USB drives are plugged in.
Do not use a USB Pendrive for Startup Repair.

1) Use the Rebuild BCD in this tutorial:
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

2) Fix MBR.

NOTE: As you have Linux installed, the above only works for 1 in 1000, must likely you will need to reinstall.
Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/182909-recover-windows-7-boot-dual-boot-system-grub-masterboot.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Just curious, but is there option for me to enable uefi boot of my Windows 10 Professional installation on my HP xw6600 dual quad core E5450 machine which holds two Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, one for Windows 10 and the other completely for Ubuntu LTS 16.04.When possible,  how to go about it. How do I enable this option. Yours truly, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/enabling-secure-uefi-boot-Windows-10-dual-boot-with-ubuntu/td-p/5631758
Relevancy 52.46%

I wanted to set up Ubuntu on my computer and followed the instructions in the first answer to this thread dual boot - How to install Ubuntu alongside Windows - Ask Ubuntu As instructed I created a logical partition using EaseUS software I did this on my H drive a hard disk drive whereas Windows was installed on C and SSD After a mandatory reboot for the new partition changes I did not immediately go to install Ubuntu although I had Live USB to do so - Ubuntu to Dual Wanted Won't Boot Boot and Win7 Anymore Windows Instead if I remember properly I booted into Windows to make sure everything was Wanted to Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu - Windows Won't Boot Anymore OK but only to find out that some quot Windows could not boot properly quot giving me the option to 'Launch Startup Repair' - which I did but to no avail All it did was reported that some system files were missing or corrupt I then installed Ubuntu on a third drive because I still needed it to perform some benchmarking I did this using the 'install alongside windows ' option But now that I don't need Ubuntu anymore all I am interested in is getting back to Windows while keeping all the files and programs intact How should I go about fixing this Delete the logical partition on the other drive I also have that Windows installation CD and I'm thinking its repair options could be useful - but not having a whole lot of self-confidence I don't know what steps exactly to take to preserve my files Any help is greatly appreciated Edit I booted from the Windows installation disk just to see the options available and when selecting the 'Repair Windows' option I got a message saying quot this version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows quot The CD is definitely matching the version of windows I want to install but a problem might me that my Windows and the CD are the OEM versions which I've read can't be used to perform upgrades

A:Wanted to Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu - Windows Won't Boot Anymore

Hi I Am User,

Upon inserting the Windows installation disk you should be able to install a new Windows and be able to select Upgrade and it should create the Windows.old folder on the new Windows.

Cheers
Boris

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/387451-wanted-dual-boot-win7-ubuntu-windows-wont-boot-anymore.html
Relevancy 52.46%

My current windows installation is too bogged down to play games properly I've tried all the traditional solutions to speed up my PC but none of them made any noticeable difference no option install usb custom boot windows - 10 fails, Dual boot so I'd like to try a fresh OS I'd prefer to avoid doing a quot Reset My PC quot Dual boot windows 10 - usb boot fails, no custom install option option and having to re-install all my apps So I'm trying to install a second windows onto a new partition that will just be used for playing a couple games The media creation tool USB option doesn't work on my pc The USB gets ignored when I boot normally If I try to boot it directly from the boot menu I get a quot selected device failed to boot quot error with both windows and windows media creation tools I used a brand new USB drive and tried it immediately after installing the tool onto it I also tried re-installing the tool a second time I tried running the setup exe at the root of the USB drive which started properly However all the guides I've looked at say that I should get a quot custom install quot option when running this tool This is where I would have the option of selecting the partition I want to install windows to I don't get that option It just asks me for the basic language architecture fields then gives me the quot keep everything keep files remove everything quot options There are no options after that If i I click install the installation begins I tried using the windows setup exe on the USB but it asks me for a product key My computer came with windows but I don't have the product key anymore Is there any way to get a fresh windows installation without having to overwrite my current OS

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/67182-dual-boot-windows-10-usb-boot-fails-no-custom-install-option.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Working in a corporate environment, we use Windows XP now but are needing to upgrade to Windows 7. I have dual boot Windows XP and 7 machine, thats the easy part, but I need to hide Windows 7 from the boot menu OR have a keyboard shortcut that can boot Win 7. The goal is I do not want users to know about Windows 7 until it has been tested and when we go live its already installed and working.

So my objectives are: Working Win 7 install, Hide from XP and boot menu, Be able to boot into 7 at a later time, eventually remove XP from the boot and have 7 the only OS.

Is this possible?

Thank you

A:Dual boot WinXP/7 - How to hide Windows 7 from boot loader and XP?

In Control Panel\System and Security\System\Advanced System Settings|Advanced tab\Startup and Recovery\Settings set XP as default OS, uncheck Time to Display OS Menu.

Now to boot Win7 you'lll need to go into that setting in XP to enable the Dual Boot menu (with 5-10 sec timeout) so that you can reboot into Win7 via the Dual Boot menu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/282969-dual-boot-winxp-7-how-hide-windows-7-boot-loader-xp.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Yeah I went and did something stupid - - I had a dual boot of Vista Ubuntu and I deleted the Ubuntu partition in vista and rebooted the comp before correcting the Boot menu So now when I re-start I get this Loading GRUB stage Loading Error I have run just about every test I know of I m running a Vista home on a Dell XPS I ve already ran chkdsk all of Dell s utilities Windows Vista Startup Repair etc Can someone help please EDIT Would fdisk mbr correct my problem Okay now I understand what the problem is The GRUB is looking for a partition that is not there and the binary isn t matching up I m at work right now so I have no way to test to fix it I just want to make sure I know how before I head home Options fdisk mbr FIXBOOT FIXMBR I think bootrec exe fixmbr and fixboot will correct my issue I would like to run it by you guys first nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-vista-boot-dual-boot-grub-error.107629/
Relevancy 52.03%

After deleting the partition on which Ubuntu was installed and enlarging the windows partition to fill the old space at the same time( stupid I know), I am unable to boot to Windows 7. All I see is a command line message that says Unknown File System and on the next line says Grub Rescue> with the option to input commands. After looking at this forum and Ubuntu forums I'm still unable to resolve the issue. I would like to be able to boot into windows 7.

A:Unable to boot Windows 7 after unistalling Ubuntu Dual boot

You'll have to restore your Master Boot Record. See this tutorial:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/132252-unable-boot-windows-7-after-unistalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.html