Windows Support Forum

After reinstalling Windows 7, problem with changing (single) user name

Q: After reinstalling Windows 7, problem with changing (single) user name

I had to reinstall W7 Pro X64 on my home PC to cure problems with sleep/hibernation.

After reinstalling, I found a single user account had been created named "DELL".

All my previous software (now stored in Windows.Old) referred to user name "Brian". So I changed the name of the DELL account to "Brian". But I then found that although the user folders are sometimes shown as "Brian", at others they are shown as "DELL".

How do I make the change of account name effective for all the relevant user folders? There is no facility to rename C:\Users\DELL; is there some other way?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: After reinstalling Windows 7, problem with changing (single) user name

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: After reinstalling Windows 7, problem with changing (single) user name

Quote: Originally Posted by hershmab

I had to reinstall W7 Pro X64 on my home PC to cure problems with sleep/hibernation.

After reinstalling, I found a single user account had been created named "DELL".

All my previous software (now stored in Windows.Old) referred to user name "Brian". So I changed the name of the DELL account to "Brian". But I then found that although the user folders are sometimes shown as "Brian", at others they are shown as "DELL".

How do I make the change of account name effective for all the relevant user folders? There is no facility to rename C:\Users\DELL; is there some other way?

Welcome Hershmab to the windows 7 forums.

The best advice I can give you is to create a userid for Brian making sure that it has the same security level as you used to have. Then log off dell and log on to brian and copy all the files to your new userid and then you can remove the Dell userid after your satisfied that everything is there.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/188460-after-reinstalling-windows-7-problem-changing-single-user-name.html
Relevancy 76.11%

First let me provide a little background The computer I am using was previously a university laptop and Profile of User Changing the Single a Folder because of that it remained a member of the university domain long after Changing the Profile Folder of a Single User I left the school and the physical network Last night I decided to separate my machine from the domain by changing it to a Workgroup instead After doing this which required I clear the administrator account password from the machine my primary user ntaylor which was imported from the domain was removed from the list of available users on the machine and I became unable to log into it because it did not represent a valid local profile I have since created another ntaylor and Vista created a profile folder for it called ntaylor V under C Users If at all possible I would like to remap the profile directory C Users ntaylor V to C Users ntaylor so that I may resume using my account with all of my settings I haven t reformatted in almost a year so manually migrating my settings would force me to reconfigure a completely unreasonable number of applications I read this guide http joshmouch wordpress com change-user-profile-folder-location-in-vista and it is kind of the right idea except for the fact that I am not moving any directories and I am only remapping registry data for a single user I m thinking if I just do a find and replace C Users ntaylor v with C Users ntaylor in the registry I might maybe be okay but I can also see this going horribly wrong I m not too sure The ntaylor V account has no settings or data I need to maintain so protecting that data is irrelevant I just need it to load from a different directory Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

I've been having a lot of problems with Windows and my programs. I think it's time for a reinstall. However, I have about 100 GB worth of files I'd like to save and get back after a restore. What would be the best way to go about doing this? Would my files be safe if I stored them on a separate partition on my main hard drive before a restore? I don't have an external hard drive large enough to hold these files during a restore.

A:Reinstalling Windows While Keeping Single Folder

from command prompt(admin)

type> diskpart
type> select disk 0
type> list partition

post a pic of diskpart

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60757-reinstalling-windows-while-keeping-single-folder.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello,
it's weird but I can't change the password of a domain user when I'm logged on a domain pc with Windows 8.

I'm sure that the password mets the requirements (I also tested here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/password-checker.aspx ), in fact if I change it from a domain controller I can do it without any problem.

But if I try to set the same on Win 8 I can't, the system tell me that the password doesn't meet the minimum requirements.
I also examined the event viewer but seems that the system didn't record any event related to.

Some suggestion about to solve it?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/59fc8bb0-bc04-4ff8-a0bc-f9eed99bb060/problem-changing-domain-user-password-on-windows-8?forum=w8itprosecurity
Relevancy 62.35%

I have one user who cannot print to one printer. I logged in as local admin, added the printer and it still would not work. I deleted all the printers and readded them. I stopped and restarted the print spooler and made sure all of the other users could print fine. I still cannot print. The print job just hangs in the que and once in a while I will get an error. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

A:Cannot Print/ Single User, Single Printer

Is it a network printer or a local printer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-print-single-user-single-printer-298214.html
Relevancy 60.63%

hello everyone.i bought a dell xps 15 about 2yrs ago. recently the internal hard drive died so i replaced it with a toshiba hard drive.but i cannot reinstall genuine windows 8.it shows error 0x4001100200001005. is there any way to solve this issue? 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19676094
Relevancy 59.34%

As a single home user, in setting up Windows 10 I was not aware there is a hidden administrator who controls changes to the system.  I discovered this when I went to  open the check disk function.  I have spent hours trying different prescribed
methods found online online for ogetting access to the elevated command prompt - but all end saying I don't have the priviledge.  In another approach, my computer tells me I do not have access to luscr.msc and to instead go to account change.  Here's
the kicker.  Once there, I am not allowed to change from "standard" to "administrator"  - this is a Catch 22 since I am the only registered user of the system.  HELP - I'm not techie, but I'm also not a complete dummy. 
MAB

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a59b9306-8f2f-4554-bfbe-ebdd3c8e5c23/single-windows-10-user-for-touch-computer-without-elevated-command-prompt?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 58.91%

I have an HP machine that came with Vista When I got this machine it had some major hardware problems these were fixed I then had to replace th OS so I went with Win The OS installed fine but I used my name during the install process that was ok because I was going to keep it Then a very close friend of mine needed a computer because her old XP had died Problem User changing name I decided to give her the HP I went into system and chaged the computer name and control panel User s and changed that name both area s show that name But when I go into my computer C drive users my name is still there and I can not change it The only solution I know might be to get into Problem changing User name the regedit and change it there I just need help getting to the right area I hope someone can point the way thanks quot s nbsp

A:Problem changing User name

You probably should do a clean reinstall of Windows 7 so your friend doesn't have a computer with your leftover "debris" that can't be gotten rid of.

Something I learned to do a long time ago when doing a clean install of Windows is enter ComputerOwner as the username. It can then be given to anyone and not have someone else's name.

------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-changing-user-name.1029251/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have to select a user upon startup of Windows instead of have just being prompted for a password as per usual of having one user. Same deal when locking. Any ideas?

A:Have to select user upon startup, and after locking. Single User

Hello KillerHonky, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you have to select a user's icon at the log on screen, then what other user's icon is displayed to select from if you only have a single user account on the computer?

....or do you mean that you have to enter both the user name and password at log on instead of just the password?

You could use the tutorial below to set Windows 7 to automatically log on to a user account at startup.

Log On Automatically at Startup

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194713-have-select-user-upon-startup-after-locking-single-user.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I'm running XP Pro with mulitiple users. I want to "turn off" Internet access for a single user while leaving free access to the other users.

I've tried a couple of NetNanny style programs, but I don't like the extra passwords that others have to use, and I don't like extra burden on system resources.

j.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-internet-for-single-user-on-multi-user-xp-pro.142159/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,

I keep all my data on a separate drive. The last time I re-installed windows 7 I had to take ownership of all my data even though the user name on the old install and then new install was the same. After reading the forums I understood that the SID for my user name was different between the old and new installations.

So my questions are

1) Is there anyway to assign the old user SID to the user created in the newly reinstalled OS so that I don't have to take ownership for a huge number of files/folders recursively?
2) If there is no way to assign the SID how do people store their data to allow for easy reinstall of the OS/Migration to a different computer?

Thanks!

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi, I have a dual boot XP Pro setup on my boot drive and I want to reinstall my E drive while preserving my C drive. I've done a couple of Windows 7 reinstalls but never an XP reinstall. I'm just a little nervous about the dual boot setup, I don't want to lose my C partition.
I have a Macrium image of the drive and also the partitions, in case I botch it . I have also backed up a number of files from My Documents etc. in case I need some of them later.
What pitfalls should I be wary of?
I have a Service Pack 2 CD, Academic Edition.

A:Reinstalling single XP Pro on a dual boot XP Pro machine

OK, I went ahead boldly with confidence & it was pretty straight forward, seems to have worked out ok as far as basic set up is concerned. I used the wrong disk, I could only find one of the two, so instead of using the cd key I had previously used for that OS, I had to use the key that was on the disk sleeve, so it's possible I've now used the same key for both setups so I guess I'll be getting a message from Microsoft once I set up my internet connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reinstalling-single-xp-pro-on-a-dual-boot-xp-pro-machine.1085603/
Relevancy 58.05%

I recieved a Crucial M SSD for Christmas Finally in for Reinstalling 7 Card x64. Set Win Drivers Best Catalyst Single the SSD WORLD and I'm getting ready to re-install Win Reinstalling Win 7 x64. Best Catalyst Drivers for Single Card Set When my Windows installation is finished I'm wondering which catalyst package I should install CAPs or I've got a complete AMD system Asus M A Reinstalling Win 7 x64. Best Catalyst Drivers for Single Card Set TD USB mobo with a Phenom II t processor so I also plan on installing the chipset ahci driver as well Are all those drivers included in the package Or will I have to install additional optional downloads To be honest I feel safer installing the latest WHQL drivers but if there are any other non-cfx single owners out there that say the 's are a significant upgrade over I'll make those my default drivers I try to minimize my driver installations after a fresh install of Windows Also Are there any advantage to installing the drivers on the XFX site here http xfxforce com en-us Help Suppo rial L H Or Are they the exact same thing as getting them from AMD com It would be cool if they were optimized for XFX cards TIA I'll answer any questions about my setup if you need more information

A:Reinstalling Win 7 x64. Best Catalyst Drivers for Single Card Set

rakers8, welcome to the Seven Forums.

The chipset drivers are usually not included in the beta or preview releases from AMD, but are usually included in the full Catalyst suite. Even if they're not they can always be downloaded from AMD as separate downloads.

As far as the video driver goes, don't have a 5850 but do have a 6850, and haven't had any problems with the 12.1 Preview and if anything seem to be a little better than the 11.12 (smoother, image quality, etc). Getting them from XFX is of no benefit as they will have (if they don't just link back to AMD) the exact same driver as what you get directly from AMD. There is next to zero difference between the drivers from the card manufacturers and AMD, about the only thing the driver from the card manufacturer might have different is their name shows up next to AMD's during the install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/204657-reinstalling-win-7-x64-best-catalyst-drivers-single-card-set.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello to everyone To begin please look at the picture attached Normally I must not encounter any of this quot privilege quot problems After Account Changing Installation Name? User Problem since I am an administrator Installation Problem After Changing User Account Name? Before when I am installing any software it always warn me about security issues before it begin the installation which is normal because I set it to do so and it install it with no problem Then after some time when updating my Java an error pops up the attached picture saying that I don't have any permission to do it I am thinking that it is an admin problem so I tried to quot run is as an admin quot even though I'm using an admin account but I failed I also tried to change it properties to quot always run as admin quot but also failed Now I cannot install any software nor update anything that modifies the Windows programs Upon doing some back tracking I noticed some things that may cause the problem Please check if it can help I change my User Account Name I notice that after changing the user acct name the location of files that are Installation Problem After Changing User Account Name? saved in Default folders i e My Pictures Downloads etc doesn't update example from C Users oldname Downloads setup exe to C Users newname Downloads setup exe So when these files are tried to run even I use quot newname quot admin acct it fails because it Installation Problem After Changing User Account Name? searches the setup exe file from the quot oldname quot folder location Upon checking the Users folder even I changed my User Account name the folder doesn't change its name I am thinking that even I do have an admin account accessing the folder named after another admin account is not possible but don't know if I'm correct I tried to copy the exe file from a location other than the Default folders and run it It successfully installed So maybe running any program from folders associated with quot oldname quot account cannot be used with other account I'll really appreciate any kind of help from you guys Thanks in advance Sorry I think I forgot to attach the picture so here it is

A:Installation Problem After Changing User Account Name?

Hello Tephen,

What method did you use to rename your user account name? If in Control Panel -> User Accounts, then that's fine.

Using the above method will you just change your user account's display name, and will not change the name of your user profile folder (C:\Users\UserName). That is normal since you don't want to rename your user profile folder since it will break your account. The old and new display name will be associated with your user account and user profile folder.

Yeah, it's best to install a program with it's setup file located say on your desktop to help prevent access issues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/317209-installation-problem-after-changing-user-account-name.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I'm trying to change the User Account Control Settings in my Standard Account but each time I try User Control Account Problem Settings changing the to do so I'm greeted with the Problem changing the User Account Control Settings message that I quot must be logged in as an administrator to select this setting quot What's puzzling is that I am logged in as an administrator when I try to change the setting but I still see the message I also tried to make the change to the Standard Account directly from the Administrator Account but the option to change the User Account Control Settings is not available I have clicked quot Manage another account quot from within the Administrator Account and clicked the Standard Account icon before trying to doing so There are choices available create a password delete the account etc but not quot change the User Account Control Settings quot In summary I can't make the change from the administrator account or from the Standard account when logged in as the Administrator What am I doing wrong Thank you Nick

A:Problem changing the User Account Control Settings

Hello Nick, and welcome to Seven Forums.

See if you may be able to use either option in the tutorial below to change your UAC settings. You'll need to be logged in as an administrator to be able to do though.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/321512-problem-changing-user-account-control-settings.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I recently changed the name of windows ID from Control Panel -> Users, but only the Start menu reflects that change.

My system folders, Task Manager etc. still shows my old name. Is there a way to completely remove my old name, short of a reformat?

A:Changing Windows User ID

Change the Registered Owner and Organization in the registry - Windows XP

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/owner.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-windows-user-id.508315/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi,
Please advise. Is it safe to alter the windows user name/organization using the registry (regedit) and change its name? Considering I've been using it for over a year now. my friend who assembled my computer registered "user" as its name. i have xp pro. thanks

A:Changing windows user name

It's safe, as I've done it before.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-windows-user-name.397765/
Relevancy 55.9%

Accidentally, I lost my password of my user, and i don't have the admin password of my Windows XP. Is there any way that I can change my user password from another user account. Note : The another user account don't have administrator priviledges.

A:Changing user password in Windows XP

Sorry, we cannot help with passwords here, it is against forum rules.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-user-password-in-windows-xp.920022/
Relevancy 55.47%

HiI have new installation of Win XP Home SP If I go to control panel - gt user accounts I can select new user picture Windows XP changing - problems picture user However it Windows XP - changing user picture problems won t update itself in that window e g if I select a ball and click quot change quot button or doubleclick the picture I will be back to account overview screen with options to change password picture etc but the user picture will remain the same duck in this example Windows XP - changing user picture problems However if I open start menu I can see that picture has changed Windows XP - changing user picture problems What can be wrong If I select another picture without closing user accounts window it will get updated with previous picture in that window and with correct image in start menu If I close the user accounts window and open it again it will be with correct picture Same thing happens for and from different accounts limited admin nbsp picture png nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloadsI just checked and it happens on another computer as well

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/327229/windows-xp-changing-user-picture-problems/
Relevancy 55.04%

quick question: Do I need to re-install Windows 7 when I change from an AMD single core to a dual core?

Relevancy 54.61%

A while ago I bought some new big 1TB HD's and decided to install windows 7 Ultimate onto one of them. To make the transition from XP to 7 easier for me I decided to do a multiboot so i could switch back to XP if i needed something.

Once i had everything the way i wanted it and i was no longer using XP i decided to remove the old HD. Also it was an IDE and it was cluttering up the inside of my computer. Now whenever I unplug the original HD i get a boot disk failure.

my guess is that my computer is looking to the C drive for where to boot windows 7 but I dont know how to change it so that it looks to that HD instead. If someone could give me some advice on this subject i would be grateful. I'm hoping that I can solve this with software or commands.

A:Changing from Multiboot to single boot. Can't remove old HD

This document might assist you in changing the way your PC looks for Windows...I know it has helped me when I've changed from dual boot configs or otherwise messed up boot configs.

Please note you don't have to follow the recovery steps if you are able to boot, if you are able to boot simply boot into safe mode with command prompt and then execute the commands.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

You will probably be most interested in the /scanos command. I hope this helps you accomplish your task

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/192935-changing-multiboot-single-boot-cant-remove-old-hd.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello After attempting to change the display language on my Chinese Surface Pro and also after much head-to-wall slamming I have come to the conclusion that my computer is likely a single language version why does this even exist seriously This is my winver So I've then resolved to reinstall windows with an English version Surface Pro - 4 Changing Single Version Language There are some questions I have regarding this Is the best only way to do it through Surface Pro 4 - Changing Single Language Version the Window's Media creation tool Would a refresh windows or something similar do the trick Is there a hidden partition on my computer with a system restore function What about product keys and such Surface Pro 4 - Changing Single Language Version Windows came with my computer obviously Surface Pro 4 - Changing Single Language Version and I don't know of any product keys Will I need one when I install windows through a Window's Media creation tool Finally to use the Window's Media creation tool is there a tutorial for this I downloaded it from the microsoft website but it runs in Chinese Thanks for any help much appreciated

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/51137-surface-pro-4-changing-single-language-version.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi everyone,

In about a month, a group of German students is coming to visit my school and two of them will be staying at my house.

In order to make them feel welcome, I thought I'd make some separate accounts on my computer. After some fiddling, I've found that the way XP does this is completely useless- buries the advanced options way way down (I haven't even found the options for personalized desktop and start menu).

Anyway, I came up with two questions I could not figure out on my own.

First, how can I change the interface language for one account (not system-wide) and make it display every dialogue-if only windows itself- in German? Any instructions I found on the microsoft KB were totally useless and simply did not work the way they were described.

Second, how can I set it so that each user has a separate desktop?

Thanks in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-the-display-language-for-a-single-account-33711.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi Guys One of our staff to User Solved: Account - User Deleted Guest - File Type Changing PC has a problem the scenarios Specs Alias Names -Company Name Contoso -Staff PC under Domain Alpha -PC Name Contoso -PC -Local Users are administrators and john Solved: Changing User Account Type - User to Guest - File Deleted -User profiles gt operations contoso domain gt john local gt administrator local -MS Outlook connected to email protected Thursday IT remove uninstall chat messengers blocked linkedin facebook twitter youtube change User Account Type Local Staff John Doe from User to Guest I change the type from User Accounts gt Properties gt Group Membership gt Others gt Guest shutdown the system Friday turn on the PC and staff asks for the correct username provides the username Contoso -PC john staff login to his local account using his password Saturday staff called and his desktop files are gone and document files are gone IT check the Users folder there are particular folders john and john contoso -pc both folders empty outlook not connected account is totally FRESh IT check on webmail under Domain Alpha not working the usual password webmail contoso com owa after an hour the usual password works IT tried to connect MS outlook using email protected not working saying quot outlook pst is not offline file quot PROBLEM files are gone Totally FRESh account I don t know what happen guys please help the FIles are gone Hoping your best solution THanks nbsp

A:Solved: Changing User Account Type - User to Guest - File Deleted

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-changing-user-account-type-user-to-guest-file-deleted.1102921/
Relevancy 54.18%

I changed the values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList in order to move the default user locations to my second partition. I then created a new user profile but when I try to login I get the message 'The User Profile Service failed the login'. When I set these values back to normal, new accounts work fine but I really want my user accounts on the second partition.
What can I do about this?

A:'User Profile Service failed' when changing default user location

I have done this on another computer with success - perhaps I am missing a step out?
The string values (apart from programdata) were changed to E:\..... instead of %systemdrive%\.....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-service-failed-when-changing-default-user-location.992872/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi all We are having a real issue with local profiles user profile service on our domain Our staff accounts are using local profiles When a staff member changes their password something is happening to their profiles on the machines that their local profile is stored When they try to login the machine is getting stuck at quot Please wait for the user profile service quot It never continues we have left for mins or more and profiles, hanging issue service Big profile and user user's changing :( password local with it doesn't continue We are currently having to use delprof to remove their profiles from ALL machines they have previously logged into which is a lot of hassle nbsp We first noticed this issue when we upgraded our workstations from windows to windows nbsp I was hoping that upgrading to windows would fix the issue but sadly it doesn't This is causing us major hassle on our domain It only affects people with Big issue with user's local profiles, changing password and hanging user profile service :( local profiles our students use mandatory profiles and they are not affected Our DCs are R nbsp I have trawled google but cannot find any information on this At our yearly microsoft meeting i asked our regional account manager and he couldn't believe the issue He had never heard anything like this before From the event log the only thing i can see is that it is not finishing the load of the user profile nbsp Under user profile service events it shows this Event Recieved user logon notification on session Event Registry file C Users USERNAME ntuser dat is loaded at HKU S- - - - - - - Event Logon type Regular nbsp Local profile location C Users USERNAME nbsp Profile type Regular Event Registry file C Users USERNAME AppData Local Microsoft Windows UsrClass dat is loaded at HKU S- - - - - - - Classes Event This is where it get stucks But then it does not show the final step Event should be Finished processing user logon notification on session No other events are logged We hadn't changed any GPOs before the upgrade to windows Any help would be greatly welcome

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1bc82ef5-71cf-438e-b223-d7aa88ea8de4/big-issue-with-users-local-profiles-changing-password-and-hanging-user-profile-service-?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi all,

I am going to be retiring two RAID 1 HDD's and replacing them with a single SSD and I'm a bit fuzzy on the steps involved. I have all my data saved externally so I'll be doing a clean install of Windows 7 Pro x64. I have set it to non-RAID in the RAID menu but I'm not sure when I should change the BIOS to AHCI. Do I do that while I still have the HDD's plugged in or during the initial set-up of the SSD?

A:Changing from RAID to single drive, question about install

Unplug the HD's, plug in the SSD, boot up and tap the F2 to enter BIOS Setup. Reset BIOS to defaults, set SATA controller to AHCI, set SSD to boot first.

Then reboot tapping the F12 key to boot the latest official Win7 installer with SP1, follow the same steps as for a Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to get and keep a perfect install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/292178-changing-raid-single-drive-question-about-install.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi Everyone I have been having a challenge with changing from RAID back to single 0 drive Challenge changing from RAID to a single drive whilst retaining the data from the RAID array To date I have performed the following Partitioned the single drive so that it closely matches the partitions on the RAID array Used XXClone to quot clone quot the contents of each partition on the RAID array to corresponding partitions on the single drive I have two partitions one for the operating system Win and programs and the other for data All appears to be good on the single drive when I boot up from the RAID array and then look at files in Windows Explorer However when I remove the RAID array and set the BIOS to non-raid I Challenge changing from RAID 0 back to single drive cannot seem to boot from the single drive Windows is presenting the following error Status xc e Info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible I have booted from the Windows install DVD and selected the quot Repair quot option From there I have Selected quot Startup Repair quot Couldn't do it Gone to a prompt and issued the quot x boot bootsect exe nt all quot command Rebooted - no improvement Gone to a prompt and issued different flavours of the quot bootrec quot command Rebooted - no improvement I notice at the System Recovery Options screen that Win is listed as the OS the partition size is given as and the Location is given as Unknown quot local disk quot ' Basically the quot Repair quot options cannot find the installation Can anybody offer advice on how I can go about getting my single drive to boot I have Googled this and it would seem that most people can't get past this speed hump I have considered creating a system image but I figure that I may just end up in the same predicament because the hardware configuration is being changed Any help will be greatly appreciated Kind Regards Davo

A:Challenge changing from RAID 0 back to single drive

I don't think its possible to clone a RAID array to a single HD.

Best to copy off the data and clean install to the single HD while none other are plugged.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/102120-challenge-changing-raid-0-back-single-drive.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi Everyone I have been having a challenge with changing from RAID to a single drive whilst retaining the data from the RAID array To date I Challenge changing RAID single back from drive 0 to have performed the following Partitioned the single drive so that it closely matches the partitions on the RAID array Used XXClone to quot clone quot the contents of Challenge changing from RAID 0 back to single drive each partition on the RAID array to corresponding partitions on the Challenge changing from RAID 0 back to single drive single drive I have two partitions one for the operating system Win and programs and the other for data All appears to be good on the single drive when I boot up from the RAID array and then look at files in Windows Explorer However when I remove the RAID array and set the BIOS to non-raid I cannot seem to boot from the single drive Windows is presenting the following error Status xc e Info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible I have booted from the Windows install DVD and selected the quot Repair quot option From there I have Selected quot Startup Repair quot Couldn t do it Gone to a prompt and issued the quot x boot bootsect exe nt all quot command Rebooted - no improvement Gone to a prompt and issued different flavours of the quot bootrec quot command Rebooted - no improvement I notice at the System Recovery Options screen that Win is listed as the OS the partition size is given as and the Location is given as Unknown quot local disk quot Basically the quot Repair quot options cannot find the installation Can anybody offer advice on how I can go about getting my single drive to boot I have Googled this and it would seem that most people can t get past this speed hump I have considered creating a system image but I figure that I may just end up in the same predicament because the hardware configuration is being changed Any help will be greatly appreciated Kind Regards Davo nbsp

A:Challenge changing from RAID 0 back to single drive

have you entered bios setup and switched off the raid stuff

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/challenge-changing-from-raid-0-back-to-single-drive.940825/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi all,
I installed Windows 7 and ended up with a default user (AxeL) with Administrative privileges.

Now I enabled the default Administrator account and lowered the privileges of my user AxeL (see Accounts.png).
If I open the User Profiles Pane in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings the size of the user account is unknown (see Profiles.png).

If I switch back the user Axel to Administrators everything works and I can see the right size in the User Profiles Pane.

Does anyone have a clue on this?
I've tried also Vista and 8 and they all seems affected.

Thanks

A:Changing user type to Standard User invalide size

Elevate Axel to Admin account, hide the Built In Admin account: Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums

This is the best way to set it up, the reason a new install is issued Admin account. In five years since Win7 beta I've never seen a reason why not, except for one or two of the most incompetent users imaginable. But who is going to be their Admin for them? Having a separate account just makes your right hand ask your left hand if it can act.

Malware is adequately restricted by UAL set to a high setting and your AV. For chronic infection, adding Malwarebytes Real Time protection has IME never had a recurrence of infection.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/330929-changing-user-type-standard-user-invalide-size.html
Relevancy 53.75%

When you enter the login screen, one of the user account options is pre-highlighted so that if you simply press "enter" instead of selecting one with the mouse or arrow keys, it'll attempt to log you into that account. I've the need recently to create a standard user account, which for some incredibly frustrating reason is always pre-selected instead of my administrator account (the one I use). I have no idea how to change this so that the administrator account is the one pre-selected.

Yea this is a stupid thing to complain about. But I've gotten used to logging in one way, and it's super annoying every time I forget and try the old way. Especially if I'm not in the best state of mind lol.

Oh, and for some reason creating a Guest account doesn't do this. Admin keeps priority. But Standard users are evidently more important than the admin >.>

A:Changing the automatically selected user account on login screen - Windows 7

Does my description of the problem not make sense, or is there just not a solution?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/changing-the-automatically-selected-user-account-on-login-screen-windows-7-a-652634.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I followed this guide to change user name and user folder:
It was successfull.
However search is no longer searching my installed apps.
I tried changing all values in registry with old user folder name to new.
I tried to start building index again and make sure there is correct path to start menu programs and user folders
It did not help..

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/441836-after-changing-windows-10-username-user-folder-search-not-working-anymore.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello. I had to take my computer into the shop because of hardware problems. The motherboard was replaced.

I have two questions:
Since my motherboard is the same kind will my CD key still work?

The shop said I will have to reinstall the operating system because of the motherboard change. If I reinstall will my vista files in the windows.old file still be present?

A:Reinstalling after changing motherboard

Welcome!

Yes, your key should still work.

I wouldn't think Windows would need to be reinstalled, but what Vista files are you referring to?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/54824-reinstalling-after-changing-motherboard.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My father replaced his Windows 98 machine with a new computer running Windows 7. He's currently on 32-bit ultimate, but we could change versions if needed.

He's really hoping there's some way to force Windows 7 into a single user mode, primarily so C:\users\All Users, Default User, Public, and his own user are merged into one. It's absolutely driving him nuts the way it is.

I've done quite a bit of searching and have came up empty. Before I said it couldn't be done, I'm wondering if anyone's heard of a way to do this.

A:Win 7 single user, merging users\All Users, Default User, Public, etc?

Just curious, but why does this annoy him so much? Surely it's not that complicated a system and all of his documents etc are stored in the same place, with more or less easy to use shortcuts to these directories placed throughout Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210398-win-7-single-user-merging-users-all-users-default-user-public-etc.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi guys.

Windows 8 screwed up my old user account so I had to transfer to a new one. Unfortunately that new one was named after my email address for some reason as I logged on as a microsoft account rather than a local one. Hence in my computer its called users/email_000

This is very annoying.

I've read tutorials on this from other versions of windows ie. here : User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name - Windows 7 Forums

However it doesn't work for Windows 8. When I try one of the earliest steps (renaming the user folder itself) I cant do it as its 'open in another program' even though that User is not logged on.

Any workarounds? Ive created another admin local user, to no avail.

Thanks for your help!

A:CHANGING User Account Folder names as well as User Name

Hello Chookyman, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The best method to do this is to create a new user account with the name you want, make it an administrator account type or leave as a standard user, sign out, sign in to the new account, then delete the old account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11333-changing-user-account-folder-names-well-user-name.html
Relevancy 53.32%

A while back I let a friend set my computer up for 2 people. You know. Seperate user names, seperate passwords. He is no longer around, and I would like to change my PC back to a single user PC. Oh yea almost forgot. Lenovo Idea Center K-300 Windows 7 64 bit..
Thanks for the help

A:Single user PC

Go to Control ->User Accounts.

Delete the one you don't what any longer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-user-pc.187547/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi guys>
I have Win XP home ed. and I'm thinking in migrating to WXP Prof. Ed.
I'll like to know which steps to make in order to safely keep backup of my data and which steps you advise me to take first.
TIA./

Relevancy 52.89%

My old hard drive is failing bad). Takes 2-3 minutes from boot up before I can even open internet explorer or any app and the app icons are all white squares until then. Can?t play Battlefield 4 without freezing and hearing beep beep in the background as if Windows has just had a new drive plugged in. Ordered a new HD and coming tomorrow.

So if I replace my C failing drive(I assume its that one which has my OS on it thats failing) and reinstall W7 and not my D Drive(Seperate HD) which has my steam and origin games on it, will the steam and origin games still work or do I have to reinstall those too?

A:Changing Hard Drive and Reinstalling W7?

Steam may have some issues when it begins to look for the game files themselves.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/changing-hard-drive-and-reinstalling-w7-751257.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Edit Hello again everyone I have another question and I thought it would be better to ask in the same thread My Windows install works fine with zero stability issues ever since moving to my new motherboard via Paragon though I have a question regarding my boot Windows drive My HDD was motherboard Changing Wndows Pro reinstalling without 7 set to IDE mode rather than AHCI Changing motherboard without reinstalling Wndows 7 Pro First thing I did after installing the new motherboard was go into the BIOS and ensure that the boot Windows HDD was set to IDE as I read that changing it to AHCI would prevent Windows from booting Though considering that I used Paragon would switching from IDE to AHCI still cause an issue Original post Hello I am thinking of upgrading my old AMD to a newer Intel i K or i K setup Obviously this will require a new motherboard and RAM in addition to the CPU However I would like to keep my current Windows Pro bit install I have a lot of programs and games with mods set up in particular ways that are hard if not impossible in some instances to reconfigure in the same way And my Windows install is in good shape from power on to Firefox so I don't feel a need to wipe my HDD I am wondering if I can change my motherboard without having to reinstall Windows Pro bit and what the process is First my current specs ASUS M N Pro M N PRO - Motherboards - ASUS Windows Pro bit with latest updates AMD GB GDDR GTX WD Black TB boot drive Seagate GB backup data drive unplugged most of the time ASUS DVD burner Antec Earthwatts Green What I am looking at upgrading to MSI Z MA-G MSI Global Motherboard - Z MA-G With an i K and DDR RAM of whatever quality brand is on sale Or MSI Z -G MSI USA Motherboard - Z -G With an i K and DDR RAM of whatever quality brand is on sale This is a big change going from AMD to Intel and ASUS to MSI So can this hardware change be done without reinstalling Windows Pro bit If so can someone detail the steps must I take Note I do have a data HDD which I use for data backups so I do have a backup of all my files I also realize a motherboard switch requires Windows to be reactivated Thanks for your help

A:Changing motherboard without reinstalling Wndows 7 Pro

You can try starting Win7 up on the new hardware, but it might not start. The easiest thing to do then is to Make Windows 7 bootable after motherboard swap - Windows 7 Help Forums.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/306408-changing-motherboard-without-reinstalling-wndows-7-pro.html
Relevancy 52.89%

This has most likely been covered before but I am wondering about admin accounts vs non admin accounts.
I understand that if you have a network you most likely would want to have an admin and a group of users.
But what if you have a single computer with only one user?
Is there any advantage or necessity to have an admin account and a user account ?
Is an admin account necessarily more secure to the outside world? as in protection from hackers, malware, viruses, etc.

A:Single User Security

With a single pc you should create a standard user account and use it for everything. Only use the admin account when necessary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/206141-single-user-security.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Is there such a thing? Just myself as Administrator. No Guest and no other user accounts, and with full security options.

The option to add another language could be useful.

Thanks for your expertise.

Relevancy 52.89%

I'm helping a small business with a new software application that requires an SQL environment with either Windows 2000 or 2003. The application will not require networking and will be utilized by a single user. They currently run a UNIX based network server called a chilibox and are very happy with it. The application user is running an XP Pro machine. What is the easiest way to make the single user SQL environment? Can I create it on her current workstation?

Many thanks

A:Single User SQL on an XP Machine?

I figured somebody would answer this by now.

If I recall, there's a single user SQL from Microsoft that's a "desktop edition"
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/msde/prodinfo.mspx

Of course, now that I've read this, it appears that they're canning this for Vista.

In the mean time, you should be able to use the MSDE engine. Not the fastest, but if it's single user it's probably ok.

Having said that, using SQL etc has some caveats.

1] Whatever the XP system has now, it'll probably need more memory to perform satisfactory.
2] You need to protect the system and filesystems/database from being shutdown abnormally. They need to be queiesced. This means the system needs a UPS of some form. Something that will keep it up long enough to shutdown gracefully.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-sql-on-an-xp-machine.506468/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have XP, and am the only user of my computer. When I boot up, I get a prompt with my user name that I must click on before the machine finishes booting. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks.

Relevancy 52.89%

As a single user I'm not worried about physical login.

However, I do download from the NET and have several of my own programs which access trusted servers of third parties. I never paid much attention to security as up to down figured those hacking were way ahead of those trying to stop it.

With my new build and install of Windows 7, I decided maybe now is the time.

So my questions are:

1) When accessing the NET should I be logging on to my system as a user rather than administrator?
2) Is Windows 7 Firewall adequate or better than someone else?
3) Would it be better to use a sandbox?
4) If I use a sandbox, how can I ensure that the programs or pages I download from the NET are not infected so I can copy them onto my system -- e.g. what program should I run against the download to check it for viruses)?

Thanks
David

A:Single User Security

David
Very astute questions.
It is suggested that you do not log on as administrator. If you are infected by malware the damage done will be limited
Windows 7 firewall is fine. Others are going to post and disagree, since it is a matter of opinion. I trust my system to the built in fire wall.
Sandboxie is very good software. I do not use it but it will give you an extra layer of protection
You can test the safety of any download with virus total
https://www.virustotal.com/
Now here is your bonus answer. I use the free Macrium Reflect. It makes an image of my hard drive (I make an image after any big changes, ie updates. It has saved me from 3 virus. You get a virus, just replace with the image.
Good luck to you

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/355123-single-user-security.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm helping a small business with a new software application that requires an SQL environment with either Windows 2000 or 2003. The application will not require networking and will be utilized by a single user. They currently run a UNIX based network server called a chilibox and are very happy with it. The application user is running an XP Pro machine. What is the easiest way to make the single user SQL environment? Can I create it on her current workstation?

Many thanks

A:Single User SQL on an XP Machine?

How about installing the MDSE version of SQL (aka SQL 2005 Express) and install it on your XP Workstation?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

Or is your product doesn't support 2005, then try the MSDE 2000 RelA.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/aa336301.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-sql-on-an-xp-machine.506505/
Relevancy 52.89%

Earlier today maybe an hour before this post I was watching a LP on Youtube I ve been watching it for a few days now While watching my laptop A HP DV froze I m used to some infrequent freezing that seems more like lag then freezing and I usually restart afterward but this freeze was very different The sound from the video didn t keep going like the times Does Single Load Not User before when it froze instead it did this weird skippy thing Like if it had froze on the word quot Door quot it just said quot D-d-d-d-dd-d-d-d-dd quot for about a minute Then it paused slightly continued to make the noise but it sounded lower At this point I just forced a restart I felt the keyboard and it was kind of warm but not really So I left it open and let it cool down for a few minutes Then I restarted the computer It asked about running in safe mode blah blah and I went back to the of users that I was using before When I loaded Single User Does Not Load it though it took a long time Around or so minutes to get from quot Welcome quot to the actual desktop Once there it showed the quot device not compatible quot or whatever page which I keep forgetting to get rid of When I move the mouse to click it it lags for a while but then the mouse kicks in and I can press cancel At this point it still has not loaded the desktop it just looks like a black wallpaper without desktop icons Then I look down at the taskbar and I see that the time is the same as whatever time welcome screen disappeared If I put my mouse over the taskbar to try and click something pinned it just gives me the loading circle amp mouse thing Pressing the windows key does not pull up the menu I restarted a few times and got the same symptoms so finally I logged into a different account from the welcome page which worked perfectly Then I logged off and tried to log onto the buggy account it didn t work I hibernated from there fn f method and it hibernated but when I turned the comp back on it couldn t resume When I restarted it asked if I wanted to try to resume again but I declined and logged onto a non-buggy account and came here to post this Usually I try to fix my own computer messes but I ve only been using windows for about weeks now and I barely feel comfortable fixing the registry for Daemon Tools I didn t even try so I don t think I ll be trying to fix this on my own EDIT It is hours later and now I cannot log onto this user at all It freezes on the welcome page as it is loading I checked all of my startup programs I ran my antivirus and malware bytes though I doubt that is it issue I feel like the problem must lie in the ntuser dat log files and such on that account but I just cannot bring myself to fiddle with them since that may ruin everything Normally I would just delete the account but it is the only account that I really use and it was such a hassle getting all my stuff on there plus since I don t know what the problem is I don t want to attempt to move any of my stuff from there to another account grrrrr EDIT It dawned on me to try and do a system restore but that didn t work either O o which is weird since the restore point was from days ago and I didn t have this problem twelve hours ago so much as days I wish system restore was more like an image

A:Single User Does Not Load

Hello hopefully I can point you in the right direction to fix your problem.Please read this concerning ntuser.dat a corrupted user profile. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ed-user-profileHope this helps and please keep us informed as to whether this helped or not.Kind regards.Bruce.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339284/single-user-does-not-load/
Relevancy 52.89%

I currently use Vista, and have Win7 on pre-order.

My question is: can I set up Win7 as a single-user system, and not have to mess with the user access controls? I have a single user defined on my Vaio now, but I still have to deal with the multiple levels of user controls/etc. I just want the desktop/directories to show up like they used to, before I had to traverse down through the user level. For example, could I just be the administrator in Win7 and not define any other users? If I can do that, do I have to do a clean install (since I do have a single user defined now)?

Thanx/Jerry

A:Single User Question

Hello Jerry, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I think you may have misunderstood what UAC is. Read the links in the green information box in the tutorial below for a more detailed explanation of what UAC is and what is does if you like. The tutorial below will also show you how to turn UAC off.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

You might also look into the built-in Adminsitrator account to see if you may be interested in using it for what you want. I would recommend to stick with your current default administrator account though for better security.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/26624-single-user-question.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey guys,

Apologize in advance if this has been covered numerous times but i can't seem to find the right keywords to research in google and this forum.

Anyways, I currently have a Q6600, Gigabyte P35 motherboard, 4GB DDR2 800 ram, and 2 x 320GB in raid 0 using the ICH9R chipset. The OS is Win 7 Pro x64. Ive just recently bought a Q9550, Asus PQ5 Deluxe (x48), 4GB DDR2 1066 ram.

Is there a way to just plug in my hard drives into the new rig without installing a fresh copy of Windows? To complicate things, will the RAID config i have be a problem or the ICH10R chipset on the new motherboard be a smooth transistion and retain the RAID array?

Thanks in advance

Note: Not sure if this is in the right section, please advise if not.

A:Changing motherboard without reinstalling Win7x64 + RAID0

Hello rorii, welcome to Seven Forums!

Start by having a look at this tutorial at the link below though you may be asking for serious issues with the RAID as Windows 7 and RAID are not exactly the best of friends to start with.

Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/178270-changing-motherboard-without-reinstalling-win7x64-raid0.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have recently upgraded my computer to Windows XP about 2 months ago and I have not had a problem with it until today. I have my settings to single click on my items and as of today I have to click on items 2 times or more before I can get into anything. That includes links and even items on my desktop. I can't seem to figure out what is going on. Can someone please help me !!!!!

A:Help problem with single click on Windows XP

Hobbygirl, Welcome to TSG Forums, try this. Control Panel > Folder Options > Click Items as follows > Check, Single Click.
That should solve your problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-problem-with-single-click-on-windows-xp.97948/
Relevancy 52.03%

I called what I thought was an official Microsoft Windows tech support number and the first Problem 10 Single Windows Program thing they wanted before even looking at my computer was Sounded like a Single Program Windows 10 Problem scam to me I have a Bible Software Program on my computer and as soon as I try to look at a passage of Scripture the program closes This began today when our Single Program Windows 10 Problem power flickered and I had to reboot the computer I don't know why the battery backup didn't keep it from shutting down I've been on the phone with the Bible Software people and they can solve the problem They tell me they have done everything they can do and that the problem has to be a Windows program Single Program Windows 10 Problem I have a file on my desktop that the Bible Software Tech said I should show to Windows I need help in knowing what to do Is there an official Microsoft Windows Tech number I can call Is a fee up front normal I don't know how much more they are going to keep adding to the Thanks crrunion

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/single-program-windows-10-problem-1164065.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi everyone,
My friend just got a lap top HP ,when turns on the computer it has her name to click on to open up windows.
Is there a way to get rid of her name to log on,and just go right to windows without clicking on her name
Thanks

Airdale

A:Change user from dual to single

Well. you can simply never log off, just shutdown the computer and you'll never see the log on screen again. You can also change the name if you so desire. Or, if I read your post right...simply log on your name and never log off. There is a procedure to delete USERS and you can from the Control Panel. Make sure though that you are logged on as the Administrator.

BTW, I assuming this is XP????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-from-dual-to-single.262887/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello, from someone who embarrassingly never used nor really understood 'Sharing folders' in any Windows edition, I would simply like to know if I being the only user of my laptop where to stop sharing via my 'Users' folder I would get any benefit or at the very least not to suffer any malign consequences? I feel foolish for not getting familiar with such a basic part of Windows and I would be grateful for any advice.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/74526-sharing-implications-single-user.html
Relevancy 52.03%

We currently running Windows XP Home on our 2 Pc's at home. Four people use the PC's and we each have our own logons.

Is there a way so that when my son installs new software, (he seems to install about 10 new programs per day), it will ONLY populate his program list on his logon and NOT the program list for the other 3 users of the PC ? It is very frustrating

I notice that some installations ask if there will be a single or multiple users of that program, but what I would really like is to be able to be selective EVERY TIME.

Your help will be appreciated.

A:Installing program on XP for single user

I think the best way is to manually do it as I think there no way in stopping it happing.
Open C:\Documents and Settings you will see a All users folder look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
If you copy all there and move to each users C:.......\Start Menu you can delete it from All users start menu folder and start to clean up your own menues
1)summary copy C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
2)paste to every users C:\Documents and Settings\Everyuser\Start Menu
3)delete whats in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
4)clean up your start menu

hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-program-on-xp-for-single-user.504917/
Relevancy 52.03%

Is there a way to do a clean install of XP Pro without creating multi users such as Administrator and Guest, or in the alternative, delete both accounts. I am the only user of my PC and would like the boot-up process to skip all the log-on garbage and go straight to my desktop. I know I can disable the Guest account ( which I have done ) but that still forces me to do the password thing by choosing OK even though I didn't select a password when I did the install.

It seems to me that the 2 acct's were created after I did the install and I went to Microsoft's site to do the updates but without starting from scratch I'm not 100% sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:XP Pro clean install for single user

Wimpy369,

Welcome to TSG.

You Can go to Control Panel/ User Accounts and remove unwanted accounts.

Then Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Settings/Minimum Password Length/Reduce it to 0.

Then Control Panel/User Account/Your Account/Remove Password

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-clean-install-for-single-user.245979/
Relevancy 52.03%

I setting up Windows XP Professional on my new ThinkPad T60. I am the only one who will use or have access to the computer, and do not want to have to log in or have to enter my password if I haven't used the computer for a while. I set up my desktop computer with Windows XP some time ago, so I know it can be done, but have forgotten how I did it

How do I turn these settings off so that when I boot up I can start using the computer immediately?

Regards, Alex

Regards, Alex

A:Single user security settings

Start, Run and type: control userpasswords2. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

It would be wise to password the "Administrator" account and create a separate account for yourself.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-security-settings.602999/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi I'm having an issue I just can't seem to figure out At my place of work we are currently in the process of upgrading our machines from XP to We recently got a brand new machine with for one of the employees So I installed all the necessary software on his machine under the administrator login for our domain Everything worked fine I take the new box to him boot it up try to open and set up his email Outlook and it gives me a Error - The path Application Data contains an invalid character So I try to uninstall or repair and get the same error I then log off the User's account he is set to run as administrator on the machine but not the Error 1324 Single User domain and log back as administrator and everything opens fine Then I log in with a different User's account and everything works fine So I'm thinking that this has to be a specific User issue but everything I have read says it is due to an error in the registry But this doesn't make sense to me since it is a brand new computer and other accounts worked fine Unless registry files transfer with the account and not the machine He is back on an XP box for the moment and everything is working fine but we need to upgrade him asap Anyone have any ideas Thanks

A:Single User 1324 Error

By the way same thing happens for Office suite 2007. It seems to be Office products in general.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/single-user-1324-error-560718.html
Relevancy 52.03%

My laptop has 4 user accounts all with administrator privileges, how do I install software for myself only so it doesnt show up in the other users start menu etc?

A:Install software for single user only

as far as im aware this is done on a program by program basis, some give you the option some dont,

i would guess that as alot (all?) programs need to be installed by an administrator windows saves you the hassle of reinstalling with admin credentials on each individual account by just installing them for everyone

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/68566-install-software-single-user-only.html
Relevancy 52.03%

If it is possible to reconfigure WinXP (home or Pro) so there is only a single user, the "all-powerful" one, how is that done? I am the only real user, and my new machine has very little stuff on it, all replacable. I see that XP has the "Administrator" or "Owner" mode, which surely resembles what I intend to have as the sole and single subset of the OS. It also has "default user", and perhaps others, which were present when purchased. I have not created nor configured any of those modes or users.

So the basic questions are:
Is it acceptable to remove all those other "modes", leaving only the "Admin" mode?

If so, then may that mode be renamed?

Recognizing references to hacker-protection, are there other factors to consider?

Blessed Be;
UU7th

A:XP - Single-user. Remove other logins?

Default User should have the administrative powers. You should be able to remove the other users, and then, if you get a welcome screen and you don't want it, you can change the way you log on under "users" in the Control Panel. Be careful not to delete all users with Admin priveleges!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/22435/xp-single-user-remove-other-logins/
Relevancy 52.03%

Simple question:

What's the easiest way to revert XP to single user mode, so that no login is required and it simply boots directly to the desktop?

Thanks

A:Revert XP to single user mode

Delete all but one user and In the User panel, click on "Change the way users log on and off" and put a tick in Use Welcome Screen

wrs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/revert-xp-to-single-user-mode.287519/
Relevancy 52.03%

Intel i7, Windows 7, HP 6000 printer, Word 2007, Works 4.5a.
I have three user accounts but can only print on the administrative account in which I installed the printer. I installed it as shown below but it still will not print in the other two user accounts. I wish to have my grandchildren use this printer from the guest account.
Devices and Printers
Printer properties
Sharing tab
Sharing this printer is checked
Security tab
Permissions for everyone
Print allow is checked.
In addition to Word 2007 I installed a Win95 copy of works and it will only print in the one account also so I am sure it is a Windows 7 software problem.
any ideas?

A:Print only in single user account.

Did you shut down and boot up again when you gave your kids account permission?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/41058-print-only-single-user-account.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I'm considering reconfiguring the installer for an application I develop. In the past, it allowed for All Users installs. If I want it to only be installed as a Single User, what user folder does best practices use as the install target? I can think of a few possibilities:

c:\Users\UserName\My Documents\
c:\Users\
c:\Users\Program Files\

Of course I'd have to have my installer created that last one on the above list.

A:What folder should a Single User app be installed in?

While none of those really convinces me, I would think the best would be to use either %LOCALAPPDATA% or %APPDATA% environment variables as the base folder, which in particular in Windows 7 maps to c:\users\<username>\appdata\local and c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming respectively. Creating a folder right there and dumping the program, and afterwards its data, there is not a bad option for a portable program. Alternatively, using %USERPROFILE% (c:\users\<username>) is possible.

Installing to documents folder is not a good choice because that's a frequent place for user data, and extraneous folders there may get in the way while using another programs. Some programs (including MS ones) fall into that bad practice. The other two options are simply unacceptable, because users don't normally have write permissions there, unless the installer tampers with them, which is not recommended at all for built-in system locations.

Any choice you made, just make sure to give the user a choice to change it to anything he wants, and remember to always use those environment variables, or even better API calls to retrieve those paths, don't hardcode them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/309437-what-folder-should-single-user-app-installed.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Having just purchased a new laptop with Win XP Professional installed I am having significant problems in recreating the Win 98 environment I am used to. I have already switched to Windows Classic view throughout and set up categories under Start Menu > Programs so that I can keep everything clean. Unfortunately XP works with multiple users so I have 2 Start Menus which is really peeing me off.

It's MY computer and I will be the only person that uses it so how do change XP into a single user environment (All users only)?

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi guys After quot successfully quot booting into windows after changing motherboard whitout reinstalling windows I have some issues that I think mostly is driver related Everything in desktop look the same windows seem very stable and many programs seem to work but I have a hard time installing new drivers and gettiing online Serious problems Installing new drivers often fail Windows automatic quot Installing device drivers software quot routine have runned for - hours now and all drivers have quot failed quot Updating drivers in device manager just hang forever Minor issues When shutting down restart it hang on quot shutting down quot after leaving desktopc for a long time In the end it BSOD each time with this message driver power state failure When booting right before reaching login screen I get black screen where I only can see a mouse pointer and I also loose power connection with mouse and keyboard A workaround atm is to turn of pc disconnect power cable and all Usb plugs and then start again then I reach login screen Failed to initialize Driver without motherboard changing problems reinstalling window after display driver wrapper Driver problems after changing motherboard without reinstalling window guess I need to reinstall graphic drivers I think all this is somehow related to drivers and Im not sure where to start I have a image of the system so I can test things and if it fail I can go back The most important I think is install new motherboard drivers and get online but since I still have many drivers left from my previous motherboard I have no idea what to do or what order to do it Am I missing something to install new drivers Should I run a reg cleaner should I nuke all old drivers should I try to install new drivers on top of old ones or what Would love any help on this so I can get my windows up and running again Cheers Some information Windows bit Old motherboard Asus P P Deluxe New motherboard Gigabyte Z Gaming G What I did before I changed motherboard In device manger Hard disk controller set to generic Uninstalled Nvidia Relatek sound devices USB set to generic Stopped some programs from running on startup Adobe process lasso yadis ditto riva tuner precisionX Drivers I have tried installing I managed to install intel ethernet controller USB and Intel management engine software but I still could not get online and did not notice and changes Driver that failed to install after removing some old drivers Sound blaster Bigfoot network killer Intel storage

A:Driver problems after changing motherboard without reinstalling window

Do a Repair Install, that should revolve the problems.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/355391-driver-problems-after-changing-motherboard-without-reinstalling-window.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I had to change my hard disk and I can't active my Windows. I've installed Windows 8 Single Language and Windows didn't activated.

Sorry for my bad English.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f168ea1b-1967-4466-8ab9-bdf15d657a52/windows-8-single-language-oem-activation-problem?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 51.6%

Am also facing the same problem when ever I play mp4 video and the rest it won't play on my vlc at all and on windows video player it will say windows does not support the fike format or the content dosnt match the extension in the fille name pls any help

A:windows 8 single languageis giving Me problem and I just got

"facing the same problem"Same as what / who?VLC will normally play about any video file. For any given file type, if only the odd one won't play then the file itself is probably corrupted. VLC can play mp4 fine, so if none of that type play then it would be worth uninstalling and re-installing VLC from the official source:https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index....Quite a number of video file types will not play on Windows Media Player.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/windows-8-single-languageis-giving-me-problem-and-i-just-got/1976.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi guys Wow a lot has changed since single connection Blocking Internet for user I last logged in anyways I m needing a bit of help today Running Windows Ultimate bit fully licensed Gb DDR RAM AMD Sempron Ghz I have a media center setup in my living room that I use as a Home Theater I also use it from time to time for general Blocking Internet connection for single user PC usage etc I have two user profiles PC - for normal PC stuff and Media Center - which runs WMC for movies music etc What I m wanting to do is stop all network connections on the Media Center user profile but keep access on the PC profile The reason for this is on the Media Center profile I want to be able to run as little as possible eg no Comodo Avira Antivirus etc so that I have as nothing running that i don t need for playing movies if you get me basically cutting out all the c p Just blocking access to programs is not enough as I don t want to not have firewall anti virus running if there s still a chance that someone something can access through the internet connection Unplugging cables is not an option as built into a media cupboard under the stairs Disabling and Enabling LAN connection is a pain and there must be a workaround for what I want I have searched but have been unable to find the answer anywhere so far Any insight is greatly appreciated E-Mu

A:Blocking Internet connection for single user

After a few quick searches, I found a program that sounds like it'll do what you're looking to do:
http://www.devicelock.com/dl/faq.html#9

If I'm reading your post correctly, this sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.
Source - http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1581821.php

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/365386/blocking-internet-connection-for-single-user/
Relevancy 51.6%

I am the only person that uses my pc. If I remove my master password from firefox should there be any worry about someone getting my passwords. Or is a master password only needed when multiple people use the same physical pc?

A:[SOLVED] Do you need a master password for single pc user?

Even if you are the only user on your PC, it might be advised to use the Master Password feature for the best security. You can find info about using Master Password at the Mozilla Help Site

Generally, you want your passwords to be as secure as possible, so it might not be a good idea to store them in Firefox at all, since it may be possible for others hacking into your computer to easily find them. As an alternative, I recommend KeePass, which has much more advanced security for storing your passwords, and is easy to make entries that will auto-enter your login info to sites. Check it out at their site

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/solved-do-you-need-a-master-password-for-single-pc-user-391812.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I am having trouble with one of my users profiles. When they log on to their machine, the group policy will not update. When the user is in the department OU in active directory there should be restrictions on what they can change in IE etc and when I put them in a temp OU it should remove all group policy restrictions so that admin can make changes. This works for all except this one user. When I move them to the temp OU it still has all the restrictions in place. I have tried forcing gpupdate to no avail. Is there anything else I need to look at. It is only happening with a single user.

Cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/group-policy-not-updating-on-single-user.928068/
Relevancy 51.6%

I used to have just one login popup at login time, and all I had to do was enter the password. This was for a user account with administrator privileges. I somehow (forgot how) managed to add Administrator account to the login screen, so now I have to click on the user account I want before typing in the password. Now I want to change this back to the single-user login, because I don't use the administrator account often enough to be bothered with it; however, I still want to be able to use it if necessary. Is there some simple way to switch back and forth between these two modes? I have gone over the control panel options with a fine-toothed comb, but can't find anything, and I really don't want to get into regedit if I can avoid it.

A:want to change back to single user login

Hello ejdpop,

If you mean that you enabled the build-in "Administrator" account, then you could just disable it to not see it anymore.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/373599-want-change-back-single-user-login.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi I'm going to have to do a bit of explaining Limiting user to single a directory. access on this one I have a new Samsung AIO PC running Windows home not pro It's purpose in life is to be mounted on a wall to display a full screen picture slide show The pictures are all currently stored in Limiting user access to a single directory. quot Public Desktop Pictures quot I need to limit the user account to only be able to access this folder and to not be allowed to execute any programs other than the slide show app The goal here is for this computer to display honeymoon pictures for guests at a hotel resort in Limiting user access to a single directory. my area We don't want passers-by to be able to use the machine for anything other than to view these photos I realize that some of this would probably be easier with Windows Pro gpedit but I'm hoping there is a way to do this with what I have here Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Limiting user access to a single directory.

The best I could find were commercial programs which are not free.

Couldn't you just hide the mouse & keyboard & let the show run. ?

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/29865-limiting-user-access-single-directory.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, i was wondering if there is a way to have the automatic updates to prompt only one user account for download and install.

I have the updates set for download only, and im looking for a way to make it so only I can install them and avoid all other users including those that have admin right from installing.

Some computers need the employee to be an admin, but i dont want them to see or be able to install updates. I just want my admin account to be able to do so.

I found the non-administrator notification setting and the shutdown notification option in gpedit.misc which will work for those workstations with no other admin. But was hoping i could configure my options a bit more and be selective by user.

Any ideas, thanks for reading

A:Automatic updates - configure single user use only?

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/automatic-updates-configure-single-user-use-only.578174/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi all!!!

I had a system with 4 users (2 admins, 2 users) and 2 network adapters (1 wired adapter and 1 wifi adapter).

What I want to do is to disable 1 network adapter for each 2 users.
A better explanation:
- Users 1 and 2 should only have access to the wired adapter (Them are admins)
- Users 3 and 4 should only have access to the wifi adapter (Them are users)

I also want that users of both groups can be logged at the same time without gaining access to the other adapter.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/45645-how-disable-network-adapter-use-single-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Have just migrated sic quot down graded ? + PC + user need Users Single Owner why do I Admin quot from XP to Win I am on Win training wheels Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ? and I still fall of As a single user PC the new quot Administrator quot quot Owner quot etc is driving me insane In the process Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ? of trying to get a grasp on Win and its foibles I am getting more frstrated with Win My four other WinXp PRO machines are just a dream to use Thay are all standalone PCs -- stable and they let me quot in quot My Toshiba laptop came with Win Home preloaded Is there such a thing as a single user install If so would I have to buy a Win Disc I am seriously thinking of buying a full retail version of Win so that when if my XP machines fall over I wont have the agony of Win because hopefully I will be familiar with Win tweaks As a Autocad programmer I mostly work in VBA and scripts I think I am developing a crush on Linux and we haven't even met I would appreciate any informative help

A:Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ?

I can appreciate your frustration, Russell. The learning curve from XP to 7 can be kinda steep. One of the issues many people first have is the increased security offered by Windows 7. As you said in your post about your XP machines, "They are all standalone PCs -- stable and they let me "in"." That was one of XP's major problems ... lots of malware was able to get in as well as the authorized user(s).

When a new 7 computer is first set up, the initial account created is an administrator account so you can make required changes to the computer (like choosing language of choice, setting computer time zone, etc.) So there always has to be at least one administrator account on a 7 machine.

But to add to the confusion, this is an "unelevated" administrator account. In other words, there are some tasks (such as running a system file checker scan [sfc /scannow] from a command prompt), that cannot be done without jumping through one more hoop. If you open a command prompt in 7 (either by typing cmd in the start menu search box or using the long way start > all programs > accessories > command prompt) you have to right-click the command prompt icon and select "Run as administrator". It's just another security feature to make it more difficult for malware to get in.

A lot of people who are the only ones using the computer leave things as is ... running with that administrator account. Nothing wrong with that if you're careful and know what sites you're visiting, what email attachments you're opening, etc. But for an extra degree of security many people operate as a standard user just because it does make it more difficult for malware to get in. This tutorial goes into more detail about the various account types.

User Account Type - Change

As far as obtaining a Windows 7 installation disk, you could check out Step 4 in this tutorial (doing a repair install of Windows 7.)

Repair Install

You could download the ISO file for your version of Windows 7, save it to desktop, then burn it to a DVD. If you ever did a repair install or a clean install, just use the Product Key on your Toshiba laptop to re-activate with Microsoft. Hope some of this helps and doesn't make things even more confusing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/271549-single-user-pc-why-do-i-need-admin-owner-users.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello New to the forums here Did some searching and couldn't figure out my issue so I figured I'd start a new post I am having an issue where my bandwidth seems very limited on only one user account I normally can get - Mb s down - Mb s up which is what issues user account bandwidth Down/Up for single I am paying for Recently I have been getting lt Mb s down - Mb s up I Down/Up bandwidth issues for single user account am running a wireless network all other devices run at good speeds Things that I've done to trouble shoot -Reset wireless router -Comcast refresh signal -Ran Microsoft Security Essentials full scan found a problem with Java fixed it I think Re-ran scan after cleaned comes up normal -Created Test user with Admin privileges when testing via speedtest net I get normal performance with new user Mb s down -CC cleaner -Turned off Windows firewall no change -Boot into safemode brings back good performance to main user account -Very few Processes running in task manager all seem to check out as normal -Drivers are all updated Any thoughts Occasionally it will jump up to normal for a short time but will return to slow speeds eventually If it helps this is what I am using Windows i EVGA ti Boost GB Ram TP-Link PCI wireless card Thanks for any help

A:Down/Up bandwidth issues for single user account

How far are you from the access point when you're using that account? Also have you checked UAC settings? That might have something to do with it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493920/downup-bandwidth-issues-for-single-user-account/
Relevancy 51.6%

Running Vista Home . . . while searching how to restrict hard drive read/write access for a specific user, I encountered this, which looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Just one problem, though - when stepping through Option 1 - Vista Home doesn't appear to have a Group Policy Editor.

Since it appears this is a precondition for a single-user restriction, I'm stuck for the moment - what are my options?

Thanks -

A:How to restrict drive access to single user?

I have this table for Windows 8.
Group Policy Search

You could search to see if the Vista setting is there.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/302000-how-restrict-drive-access-single-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Can I simplify first time setup as follows: since I am the only user, can I set up a single user account with administrative privileges and no password, given I have no microsoft account just local? If I do not need a password, how do I set it up without one? If I do that, will it complicate being the administrator? Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I will be using Windows 8, Home edition

A:Setup-single user account with no password?

Hello JoGirl, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Yes. You would just need to set it up using a "Local" account instead of a "Microsoft" account. Only with a local account can you leave the password fields blank to not have one.

The only issue with it being an administrator account without a password protection would be a security issue of everyone being able to use the account since there is no password they must type before being allowed to.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/15263-setup-single-user-account-no-password.html
Relevancy 51.6%

The Hound said It says right in the properties dialog box to check the boxes to improve performance If you re the only user I wouldn t see a problem You user for Settings Gpedit for Single not Administrator could uncheck the boxes if you wanted Gpedit Settings for Single user not for Administrator to use group policy editor in future If you re at all leery you posted this thread so I Gpedit Settings for Single user not for Administrator d guess that you are you might consider setting a restore point and backing up your data and registry before you do this Click to expand Hello Mr The Hound I have a problem in Windows Xp Pro Sp I want to know about gpedit msc settings If anyone already discussed on this topic then please send me its link please Gpedit Settings for Single user not for Administrator well I am having problem related to the security settings suppose If I am hiding the drives it also hides the drives in Admin account also I only want to hide the drives for the single user I have tried lot to find it but did not get the solution So If you have time then please solve my problem I am also uploading the screen shoot of the gpedit settings Thanks Pal nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Good evening from Graz,

i have quite a strange problem on my personal pc since the last few days. I cannot login to my useraccount(which has a transparent picture at the logon screen since a few days).
I have just one workarround: if i login with my adminaccount and logoff, the userpicture of my privateaccount appears again and the login is possible.

What could this problem be related to?

greetings
Nico Müller

A:Solved: Windows 7 User Account Problem(Transparent User Picture)

Good morning,

solved it. Disabled the admin account, and removed the pw of my useraccount.
Kind a strange problem indeed, but seems to be solved.

Thanks anyway,
Nico

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-user-account-problem-transparent-user-picture.946560/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a single domain user that cannot access any Google websites on one computer in Internet Explorer 8. Other users logged into the same computer can access any Google sites but he cannot. But, he can go onto another computer and log in and reach the Google sites. It appears to be a local profile issue on that single computer. Any suggestions on what the cause may be. Thanks!!

A:[SOLVED] Single User Cannot Access Google Sites in IE8

You'd have to create a new user account to create a new IE profile. If you allow other browsers and this person can access Google, would that suffice?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/solved-single-user-cannot-access-google-sites-in-ie8-685047.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi

Is it possible to have a Vista media centre PC with multiple users?

For example is it possible to have the media centre set-up in your front room and have a monitor / keyboard in a separate room and have multiple users e.g. someone watching the media centre in front room while someone working in a study with a remoate monitor / keyboard - all from the same media centre box?

I have looked at some of the linksys / falcon etc... wireless media extenders but they only seem to extend movies / pictures / TV to another room and not the functionality of the PC through use of keyboard / monitor.

Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/software/195471-multiple-user-access-single-media-centre.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi,
We have installed a SmartMusic program for my son's Trumpet practice.

However, it runs on his user login, only if I grant him admin rights.

I do not want to grant him admin rights to the laptop, but cannot find any way to grant just that particular program to run as admin on his login...

Can someone help? Its a Vista Home version of Windows...

A:Admin rights for a single program to standard user

Welcome
You can give this a try and hope. The run as adminstrtor feature was put there by the software and not Vista.
You can turn off the UAC
User Account Control (UAC)

Then right click on the software, probably properties, then advanced (or compatibility tab). In Compatibility or advanced tab. check run as administrator
Let me know how that works.

When you right click on the software, type in the software name in the search function by stat button, and then right click when it pops up. Do not click on any shortucuts.

For smart music rather than advanced, it might be under compatiblity tab.

If you do disable UAC, all Administrator users must exercise caution. The UAC is a warning that changes will be made to the system and not just to user account

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287111-admin-rights-single-program-standard-user.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey all,

I'm in the same boat as CIS was when he posted this thread:

Help with Group Policy?

I've googled and googled and read so much my head is about to explode but still haven't found what I'm looking for.

My end-goal is to change the shell for just a single user account. I poked around the registry for quite a bit after looking at some dated information on how to do it in there but couldn't find an equivilent key in Windows 7 (I believe the information was for XP). Then I discovered it can be done in the Group Policy Editor under User Configuration -> Admin Templates -> Sytem under "Custom User Interface", but this will change it for everyone it appears. My searching eventually led me here, so I decided to stop, and post for help

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

Rob

A:Help with Group Policy/shell change for a single user?

New ou... put that computer account in that ou and create a new GPO for that OU. done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/70246-help-group-policy-shell-change-single-user.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Basics Windows Server with a domain behind Cisco router firewall Primary Domain Controller and Secondary Domain Controller both Win k workstations Active Directory setup with roaming profiles No proxy on machines. connect user internet to Single on multiple can't IE8 server Affected Workstation Windows XP SP with IE Rebuilt TCP IP stacks and Winsock on workstation Removed and reinstalled IE Listed internal and external DNS Resolvers in DNS tab Can ping external IPs from command prompt Problem I have a single user that can not log onto the Internet with Single user can't connect to internet on IE8 on multiple machines. IE No one else is having any issues In the information bar at the bottom left when attempting to open Google or anything else it gives the quot DNS Error html quot warning then displays quot Website can not be opened quot Single user can't connect to internet on IE8 on multiple machines. I can log this user off of the workstation log on as admin or anyone else and internet connectivity is no issue If he logs onto a different computer that has no problems he has the same issue of no connectivity This would indicate that it is somewhere in his personal settings How would I diagnos this or make changes in these settings so he can get on the internet Or do I need to look somewhere else

A:Single user can't connect to internet on IE8 on multiple machines.

Hello and Welcome to TSF!

See if resetting the Hosts File helps.

Also, please verify if you have any Proxy settings, if you do then remove it by following this guide.

An update will be appreciated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/single-user-cant-connect-to-internet-on-ie8-on-multiple-machines-485203.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello So I have just been setting from permissions comp single a different a to I Can user grant shared up my new rig and for several reasons I was wanting to allow my desktop complete access to my laptop However I live in a very friendly household Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp and my computer is in the main area I allow other people to use the guest account on it all the time but keep my own account with a password We also have many other computers on Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp the same homegroup I was wanting to allow just my account on my desktop complete access to some or prefferably all files on my laptop I Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp tried going Local Disk C Properties gt gt Sharing tab gt gt Advanced Sharing button gt gt 'Share this folder' checkbox gt gt Permissions button gt gt Add button However when i had entered this I could not get my laptop to access any other locations that itself It was there that I got stuck Is it possible to do what I am trying to do Cheers David

A:Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp

Hello DGEccles,
Welcome to SevenForums. What you are trying to do is possible. What you have to do is pick a folder (or directory) that you want to share. In your case, this would be the C:\ drive. However, sharing your C:\ drive across the network, is very risky for many reasons. So I would not recommend this. So, lets get started. First, on your laptop, what you need to do is pick a folder you want to share. This can be your documents folder, another folder, or the C:\ drive. Next, right click the folder you want to share and click PROPERTIES. Next, navigate to the sharing tab and click on advanced sharing. Check the box that says "Share this folder". Next, click on permissions and MAKE SURE THAT YOUR ACCOUNT ON THE LAPTOP HAS FULL PERMISSION. After this, you want to click Apply and close out of all dialog boxes. Now, we move to your desktop. On your desktop, open up Windows Explorer. Navigate to Network on the left-hand side. After that click on your laptop's icon. After that a window will open asking you for credentials. INPUT THE CREDENTIALS THAT YOU SET TO HAVE FULL PERMISSION ON THE LAPTOP. After that you should see all the shared folders on the laptop including the one that you set up.

I hope this helps. (Sorry if this isn't clear I typed this fast so if you need me to re-explain it I will)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/235249-can-i-grant-shared-permissions-single-user-different-comp.html
Relevancy 50.74%

While trying to reinstall vista I get an error saying:

To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK.

Note: The installation media can be a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.

I get the same error while trying to install Windows 7. Oh also when I install xp it doesn't recognize 170GB of my harddisk. Its there in disk management but cant see it my computer. So every time I install xp I have to format that 170 GB..

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks for help.

A:Problem reinstalling VISTA & problem installing Windows 7

anyone ????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-reinstalling-vista-problem-installing-windows-7.829347/
Relevancy 50.31%

My uncle has a Dell Dimension desktop and just installed a network card and got dsl and soon after installing dsl his computer had several problems I ran Adaware and deleted all of the Spyware and ran a Virus scan and deleted all of the viruses and his computer was still having a problem so my uncle tried to reinstall Windows XP and this is the Windows HELP Reinstalling XP problem....PLEASE problem that I am Reinstalling Windows XP problem....PLEASE HELP posting here He ran the cd to reinstall Windows XP and it was installing Windows and it said that it would be complete in approximately minutes the screen keeps moving telling us what is being installed then starts installing devices and flashes to a blue Stop error screen I read the screen and was going to do what it told me to but every time I restart the computer either in Safe Mode or Normal Mode it always goes back to the Windows setup and won t let me uninstall any of the software Below is the screen that keeps popping up and won t let us complete the Windows installation please read this and let us know what to do Thanks A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer Bad Pool Caller If this is the first time you ve seen this stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again follow these steps Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode Technical Information STOP x C x x CD x xE E Beginning dump of physical memory Physical memory dump complete Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi all,

I am reinstalling windows xp on a notebook as i am selling it.. as notebooks dont have cd drives i have found the copy of xp on the C drive under the folder 1386 and used WININ32.. is started installing windows but stopped halfway because it said Nokia installer was suspended and couldnt continue.. i have now managed to remove nokia but when i go to install windows again the installer opens and saying "gathering required information" the geen progress bars come up.. but after that the box goes and nothing happens.. any ideas?

Thanks

A:Reinstalling windows xp problem

it's not possible to install XP system on C drive from the files that are in C. you have to make a copy on the CD or flash drive and boot up from there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reinstalling-windows-xp-problem.1034393/
Relevancy 50.31%

me and my friend where trying to fix his computer and it was working before i reformatted it i figured i could reinstall windows but when i try i get boot mgr is missing and it will not go to windows xp installation setup any help is apreciated :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reinstalling-windows-xp-problem-365120.html
Relevancy 50.31%

My hard XP reinstalling Windows Problem drive crashed last week leaving a message on a black Problem reinstalling Windows XP screen disk read error I contacted tech support and they said that the hard drive might be bad and that I should try reformating it with the Windows XP disk I tried reinstalling Win XP The first time I reformated the disk it took several hours but the program would not install The second time Problem reinstalling Windows XP it also took several hours and I got a complex message Problem reinstalling Windows XP about some problems A short version of the highlights of the info is included below KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR Technical info STOP x A xE D xC C xBF A x CE Physical memory dumped I have two questions Should I simply try one more time to reinstall Win XP Is it possible to reformat the hard drive in DOS mode resulting in any bad sectors being isolated as unusable but the rest of the drive space being formated as usable sorry this is so confusing Hope it makes sense to someone barcar Computer Dell Dimension nbsp

A:Problem reinstalling Windows XP

barcar1 said:

My hard drive crashed last week leaving a message on a black screen 'disk read error'.

I contacted tech support and they said that the hard drive might be bad and that I should try reformating it with the Windows XP disk.

I tried reinstalling Win XP. The first time I reformated the disk, it took several hours, but the program would not install. The second time, it also took several hours and I got a complex message about some problems. A short version of the highlights of the info is included below.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Technical info:

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE10226D4, 0xC000009C, 0xBF9A5046, 0x02CE8860)

Physical memory dumped.

I have two questions: Should I simply try one more time to reinstall Win XP?
Is it possible to reformat the hard drive in DOS mode resulting in any bad sectors being isolated as unusable but the rest of the drive space being formated as usable?

sorry this is so confusing. Hope it makes sense to someone...

barcar1

Computer: Dell Dimension 4400Click to expand...

Disconnect everything in your computer except the CD-ROM the hard drive and the video card (i.e., disconnect the other drives and or devices and take out any add in cards). Try installing again, but don't format the drive or use quick format.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-reinstalling-windows-xp.486372/
Relevancy 50.31%

Right heres the problem - I've been trying to reinstall windows xp sp2 on my SATA drive for the last 2 days and its not working. It either stops at 34 minutes or it will go past that and to about 15 minutes then ill get a blue screen of death. I'm a bit stumped because i've done this before so i dont know what i've done differently - except that was a PATA drive. It's driving me nuts so any thoughts or advice anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated!

A:Reinstalling Windows Problem

Reset CMOS settings to default
And possibly run Memtest on your Ram

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reinstalling-windows-problem.112849/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi there I got into a bad situation I got two partition see on the picture i was installed a win onto the C After a year maybe i had some troubles or idk why but i begin to install win again And for some reason i was not able to install win on C again So i just installed it do D And now i trying to format my whole hard drive and install win on it But when i trying to boot from the dvd i tryied with different copyes it boots in but only a command prompt appear and nothing hapen I searched for that error and found this SSD HDD Optimize for Windows Reinstallation But when i try to type anything into the cmd window its looks like this quot x L R E quot Also the I i button doesnt works and if i press the C button its like i press an enter Also i have to use a PS keyboard instead of an USB one because i got a special BIOS because of video card detection problems and the USB ports just doesnt works in some part of booting I can use USB keyboard in BIOS boot like press F to booting menu but for example if you got more windows installed and its asks you to chose wich one to boot at those screen the USB keyboard not working again View image win The picture says that my C drive is my primary but indeed my windows is on D So it doesnt let me to format any of the partitions

A:Reinstalling windows 7 problem

Can I ask for a link and a description of where you downloaded this Windows 7 Installer.

Also is there a recovery disk that came with your PC, or a piece of software on there that will create it for you? if so those recover the OS and basic drivers that came with the computer and I recommend using that disk to reinstall the OS. I have done exactly that on other computers in the past.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/251088-reinstalling-windows-7-problem.html