Windows Support Forum

Windows 7 starter 32 bit Acer netbook Hard drive wipe specific issues

Q: Windows 7 starter 32 bit Acer netbook Hard drive wipe specific issues

Hello I received a Acer Aspire one D - Net book for Christmas year ago This was the first computer that was really mine and I learn a lot about computers while trying to find work arounds for this computer's pathetic hardware stats Anyway I find my computer still bogged down with starter software stuff I installed but don't know is there and possibly a virus or At this point I would rather just wipe everything off this netbook I have all my beloved files saved virus free on a flash drive There are issues with this though My Windows Cd key was destroyed by the heat this thing gives off and I removed it months ago because it was completely unreadable I still have the box but from every tutorial I have read you need that key Could it possibly be on the box Also Acer Recovery requires you make a CD factory default copy which seems totally Ridiculous as this thing doesn't have a CD drive I have Power ISO to mount a image on a flash drive but is any other software better for this purpose Lastly I don't want Factory Default software bogging it down again on boot-up Will that spam-ware show up on the default software If it does is there a way to specifically not let install on it again Let me know if there is anything you might need to know about it Thank you for reading and thanks for any answers in advance -Nomworthy

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 7 starter 32 bit Acer netbook Hard drive wipe specific issues

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows 7 starter 32 bit Acer netbook Hard drive wipe specific issues

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
startup repair disc-create

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

Acer Empowering Technology > Acer eRecovery Management.
Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How can I restore my computer with the backup discs I created?

Manual how to use Acer eRecovery Management here:
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/empowering_technology/NB%20ET2%20user's%20guide/Acer%20eRecovery%20Management%20English.pdf

Have you tried pressing <Alt+F10> at boot up, to goto the Acer eRecovery Management.
Acer Support: Frequently Asked Questions list for How to use Acer eRecovery

You can Order Acer recovery disks from here:
https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer

You may/may not have the option to make a USB Recovery Disk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/198317-windows-7-starter-32-bit-acer-netbook-hard-drive-wipe-specific-issues.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hey this crap just screwed me over by making me log in after writing this up while I was already logged in so I got an error and lost everything I wrote so I m going to try to make it brief My quot Acer Aspire One notebook got a virus and died within like a day This was a while ago Recently I took it out to try to get it working again and it actually did start up at first but after started doing the same stuff where it won t start up back to square one I ve tried System Recovery but get an Error no luck I need to somehow wipe the hard drive via a USB thumb drive as the little -incher has no CD drive Also the computer I have that I m working on with is a Mac so I need to know how One -- wipe Aspire hard to drive Acer need to set up whatever I need Acer Aspire One -- need to wipe hard drive for the little Acer using a Mac I tried resetting updating the BIOS also Acer Aspire One -- need to wipe hard drive to no avail The only thumb drive I have is a GB so I created a GB FAT partition within it and tried using that for the BIOS but it didn t work I don t know if I need it to boot from that partition or something but I don t know how to do that anyway So there you have it I need some clear detailed accurate instructions on how to do this PLEASE Acer Aspire One -- need to wipe hard drive I NEED this little thing fixed now Thanks so much I definitely immensely appreciate the help Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 87.29%

I have an Acer Aspire one with a problem booting up windows XP. I hooked up an external USB CD rom and boot from the windows install disk so I can run the repair. I keep getting a notification saying "Set up did not find a hard disk drive installed on your computer". How do I get past this?

A:Acer netbook not seeing hard drive

If you are comfortable checking a setting in the BIOS, are you able to go in and check to see if the SATA Controller is set to RAID/AHCI/IDE, and report back with what you find?

If it is selected as RAID this is probably the reason, as the installation requires the RAID drivers via floppy before it can recognize the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-netbook-not-seeing-hard-drive.181985/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi This problem started a week ago when the Acer Aspire One h would not boot Eventually even restoring it using the partition failed I have ordered the Acer recovery discs which will restore it to Win starter But yesterday just on a whim I turned on the netbook and was able to restore it successfully I then installed Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials and have run numerous scans that found no threat - so this does not appear to be malware The unit had avast netbook; Starter 7?? crashing should on upgrade Acer to Win Win 7 I free AV before this trouble started I then spent hours installing Win updates using the Windows Update utility on the Acer However near the end of the Win updates Windows crashed and the screen went black again When this happens the unit's power stays on this is not a fan overheating problem I don't think This a m the Acer booted successfully and Win 7 Starter crashing on Acer netbook; should I upgrade to Win 7?? I then uninstalled Office Win 7 Starter crashing on Acer netbook; should I upgrade to Win 7?? and installed Open Office The unit then quot blacked out quot again During this time I also tried to install Java since I had been getting a pop-up that it needed to be updated Java would not install successfully and the Acer then started quot blacking out quot several more times I was finally able to boot it in Safe Mode to turn it off But it took several attempts Rather than running the recovery discs from Acer for Windows Starter I am considering upgrading to Win Can anyone tell me if this might solve this problem Or should I just proceed to order an external drive to run the recovery discs I would appreciate your advice THANKS

A:Win 7 Starter crashing on Acer netbook; should I upgrade to Win 7??

I would Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
HD Diagnostic

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.

Manual how to use Acer eRecovery Management here:
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/empowering_technology/NB%20ET2%20user's%20guide/Acer%20eRecovery%20Management%20English.pdf

Attachment 190275

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/204864-win-7-starter-crashing-acer-netbook-should-i-upgrade-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I have an acer aspire one 532h, and I want to hit it up with some performance upgrades. Now for $50 bucks, i can get a 2gb 800mhz ram,or upgrade the hard drive to a 7200 rpm one. What do you guys think would help most, the ram or the hard drive? Also, does this netbook even support 800mhz ram? And is the hard drive 2.5" or 1.8"?..Thx

A:Acer Aspire netbook upgrade, hard drive or RAM?

See this linkf or memory:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?mfr=Acer&model=Aspire+One+(532h)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-aspire-netbook-upgrade-hard-drive-or-ram.147145/
Relevancy 83.42%

Ok I really need HELP I literally spent all last week reading researching this issue but this one is over my head so after being up ALL night trying to figure it out I am pleading for some one on this wonderful forum to assist me Acer Aspire One D aka kav typical drive&partion problem Aspire Acer Netbook D250 hard netbook with no external DVD Drive I bought nearly identical ones for my grandkids Here Acer Aspire D250 Netbook hard drive&partion problem s what happened One of them became terribly infected with trojans rootkits worms you name it The other grandchild who is learning about computers decided to quot fix quot it He cleaned the computer and the system was clean but locking up and not running well He said the took the quot good quot hard drive out and tried to quot clone quot it OVER top of the bad one Now it won t boot at all Currently when trying to boot it says the drive needs formatted please see the pic that shows the partitions Also when I put it in an external enclosure it also tells me it needs formatted I really need step by step on how to correct the problem BTW I have NO recovery disks - only the restore function Acer Aspire D250 Netbook hard drive&partion problem built in which isn t working I have made an UBCD and also Hiren s but I am not familiar with the commands So I am guessing that the MBR is messed up and the partitions as well If one of you fine folks could walk me thru I will forever be indebted to you Thanks so much nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/acer-aspire-d250-netbook-hard-drive-partion-problem.1038780/
Relevancy 80.41%

Note not SPAM and ad or anything like that just a really really long detailed desperate request for assistance Hello all competent techs Time is of the essence I m the owner of a young generation Y eBay company out of Manchester New Hampshire Among other things we sell consumer electronics and computer components but we specialize in hard disk storage Specifically we re processing more than hard drives through our facility each month although we are still quite a small business by many distinctions Accordingly we are looking for a free or very very low-cost but effective solution to our hard drive processing testing wiping needs I am in the process of building a hard drive testing wiping station I have decided to use multiple retail out of the box motherboards attached to a KVM to switch between boards since I can use them in my business if the testing station project fails as currently designed The MAIN GOAL is to test wipe up to hard drives at once using a total of motherboards Other project goals include Required Evaluation of S M A R T drive data for health performance and or very-extensive read write testing Required At least minimal drive-format demonstration Required Interoperability for quot quot quot ATA SATA SCSI SAS Gbps Gbps Gbps hard drive conditions USB support optional Required Simultaneous or queued drive testing and or wiping for at least drives per test/wipe hard issues system w/ Hardware/software drive setup motherboard Optional drive testing wiping reports preferred but not required Optional drive hot-swap testing wiping preferred but not required Optional multiple current security-depth testing wiping standards methods preferred but not required Optional OS-independent software execution preferred but not required Required Free or fixed-cost software to accomplish said goals I recently stumbled upon DBAN for hard drive wiping as I was researching a custom build for a more-formidable hard drive wiping procedure than our current method of manual Windows OS-based S M A R T health performance benchmarking and quick-format in Disk Management DBAN fulfills most if not all of the requirements for this project However as I will describe I am having trouble getting DBAN Beta to wipe multiple IDE SATA hard disk drives as specified in its feature list on the DBAN org website and other sources To preface the project work and research I ve done insofar I ve spent Hardware/software issues w/ hard drive test/wipe system setup conservatively more than hours on this project including hardware research hardware purchasing hardware assembly software research software sampling software comparison and software testing I ve tested and compared more than hard drive wiping programs including Active Killdisk Suite AC Forensics Multi-Wipe Blancco CMRR HDDerase DBAN DRE Hardware/software issues w/ hard drive test/wipe system setup Hard Disk Eraser Heidi Eraser HDDGURU Disk Wipe Tool HD Sentinel MiniTool Partition Wizard Miray HD Shredder Jetico BCWipe Paragon Disk Wiper White Canyon WipeDrive Of these software options both paid and free I preferred DBAN with a few close-seconds due to its simple but feature-rich user interface length of time in the market cost free software type open source record of reliability ability to auto-wipe OS independence and claim for simultaneous hard drive wiping capability see FAQ With that said here is my issue I ve had to spend about hours so far troubleshooting DBAN Beta and trying to get it to register wipe multiple hard drives This has included hands-on troubleshooting DBAN-specific research DBAN non-specific research forum-surfing fact checking and more DBAN only registers a few hard drives at Hardware/software issues w/ hard drive test/wipe system setup once and only wipes a max of at a time Even if more than drives register at one time a single-drive wiping operation will fail when drives are installed With only drives installed and all other hardware unplugged a concurrent wipe initiates succe... Read more

A:Hardware/software issues w/ hard drive test/wipe system setup

Again...this is NOT spam...thanks in advance for your help. -Nick

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hardware-software-issues-w-hard-drive-test-wipe-system-setup.1023739/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello all competent techs Let me preface this problem with my willingness to pay a reasonable fee for a solution or for consultation resulting in a successful solution If someone solves my problem publicly in this forum I promise that I will find a way to STILL provide that person a cash bounty reward and or some free hardware as a thank-you I may also be interested in paying for consultation on an alternative implementation if it s simply not possible to do what I want using the method and + issues Hardware/software hard system test/wipe w/ drive setup REWARD! setup I m attempting However time is of the Hardware/software issues w/ hard drive test/wipe system setup + REWARD! essence I m the owner of a young generation Y eBay company out of Manchester New Hampshire Among other things we sell consumer electronics and computer components but we specialize in hard disk storage Specifically we re processing more than hard drives through our facility each month although we are still quite a small business by many distinctions Accordingly we are looking for a free or very very low-cost but effective solution to our hard drive processing testing wiping needs I am in the process of building a hard drive testing wiping station I have decided to use multiple retail out of the box motherboards attached to a KVM to switch between boards since I can use them in my business if the testing station project fails as currently designed The MAIN GOAL is to test wipe up to hard drives at once using a total of motherboards Other project goals include Required Evaluation of S M A R T drive data for health performance and or very-extensive read write testing Required At least minimal drive-format demonstration Hardware/software issues w/ hard drive test/wipe system setup + REWARD! Required Interoperability for quot quot quot ATA SATA SCSI SAS Gbps Gbps Gbps hard drive conditions USB support optional Required Simultaneous or queued drive testing and or wiping for at least drives per motherboard Optional drive testing wiping reports preferred but not required Optional drive hot-swap testing wiping preferred but not required Optional multiple current security-depth testing wiping standards methods preferred but not required Optional OS-independent software execution preferred but not required Required Free or fixed-cost software to accomplish said goals I recently stumbled upon DBAN for hard drive wiping as I was researching a custom build for a more-formidable hard drive wiping procedure than our current method of manual Windows OS-based S M A R T health performance benchmarking and quick-format in Disk Management DBAN fulfills most if not all of the requirements for this project However as I will describe I am having trouble getting DBAN Beta to wipe multiple IDE SATA hard disk drives as specified in its feature list on the DBAN org website and other sources To preface the project work and research I ve done insofar I ve spent conservatively more than hours on this project including hardware research hardware purchasing hardware assembly software research software sampling software comparison and software testing I ve tested and compared more than hard drive wiping programs including Active Killdisk Suite AC Forensics Multi-Wipe Blancco CMRR HDDerase DBAN DRE Hard Disk Eraser Heidi Eraser HDDGURU Disk Wipe Tool HD Sentinel MiniTool Partition Wizard Miray HD Shredder Jetico BCWipe Paragon Disk Wiper White Canyon WipeDrive Of these software options both paid and free I preferred DBAN with a few close-seconds due to its simple but feature-rich user interface length of time in the market cost free software type open source record of reliability ability to auto-wipe OS independence and claim for simultaneous hard drive wiping capability see FAQ With that said here is my issue I ve had to spend about hours so far troubleshooting DBAN Beta and trying to get it to register wipe multiple hard drives This has included hands-on troubleshooting DBAN-s... Read more

A:Hardware/software issues w/ hard drive test/wipe system setup + REWARD!

Will (unfortunately) be up all night trying to figure this stuff out. Oh the joys of working in the IT industry...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/424758/hardwaresoftware-issues-w-hard-drive-testwipe-system-setup-reward/
Relevancy 77.4%

I have a netbook (Samsung N130) running Win 7 Starter. I am thinking of loading Ubuntu 14.04 on it exclusively. Which means Win 7 will be erased when I partition the disk. Tried loading Ubuntu alongside and for some reason it is not happening, even resulting in a crash. I then get the Win7 reloaded by Samsung.
Just in case my Ubuntu load is unsuccessful, I want to reload Win7.
My machine DOES NOT have an optical drive.
I would like to create a Win7 restoration pen drive, ideally. If that is not possible, I shall have to acquire a USB CD/DVD drive. I would like to avoid the added expense.
I can use a computer but am a novice otherwise. I can follow clear instructions, but not jargon-filled ones with steps missing.
Please help

A:How to create a bootable restore drive for my Win7 Starter on netbook?

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
See if this helps,
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu
Should be some follow up tutorials listed on the bottom,
Cheers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348776-how-create-bootable-restore-drive-my-win7-starter-netbook.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have a computer, that i dont have the main password to get into. How can i wipe this computer clean? to original settings. It doesnthave a cd drive, its a netbook

A:Windows 7 starter wipe clean without pw

If you need to securely "wipe" the hard drive it may be best to put it in a USB enclosure and do the job from another computer.

If formatting the partition(s) is sufficient you can boot GParted from a USB flash drive.

Assuming it has a Recovery partition it may include a format option. And, of course, the Recovery partition is the default way to "recover" to the way the netbook came originally.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-starter-wipe-clean-without-pw.943350/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hey everyone I purchased a Toshiba NB- netbook a while back why did I do that again and now I'm trying to prepare it for selling on ebay Now I did have it sent to me originally with Windows Starter again why starter xD instead of XP which will boost its value in my opinion but I have some problems My netbook did get some virus which I can't remember what it's called but it basically tries to 7 Prepare for Resell Starter Wipe and Windows imitate Norton anti-virus into making me purchase some crapware that doesn't even exist or something like that Anyway I couldn't really remove it Windows 7 Starter Wipe and Prepare for Resell and it's one of the reasons I ultimately decided I want to just reformat and sell Also just to get some extra cash Windows 7 Starter Wipe and Prepare for Resell I was wondering how I could eliminate the virus by reformatting perhaps But I still would like to keep Windows on it if possible If not possible it would be better to advertise no software than Virus-ridden so I guess if I can't keep I'll just reformat Any suggestions on what I should do are greatly appreciate Thanks

A:Windows 7 Starter Wipe and Prepare for Resell

I guess its kind of late to make a backup LOL. You could probably sell it for a decent amount with Ubuntu installed. Here's some info on making an Ubuntu live USB which you can format the hard drive and install Ubuntu from.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD
Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
Download | Ubuntu

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/101195-windows-7-starter-wipe-prepare-resell.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I have dell mini inspiron 9
and its os is on external hard drive I want to delete the os from the drive to make it as a storage and install new os for netbook..
windows xp sp3. , the os I want to install..

A:Netbook's os from external hard drive how to remove to replace new os directly to netbook

When you're booting from the new disk, just delete every hard drive partition.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/netbooks-os-from-external-hard-drive-how-to-remove-to-replace-new-os-directly-to-netbook.198631/
Relevancy 75.25%

hi

i have i eee pc i have noticed that my C: drive is only 99.9 gb and the Recovery D: is 122gb and empty i know this is not right but how doi fix it i am running out of space on my C: in disk manigment it says 232.88 gb with 4 diferent partitions only 2 named how can i fix this with no reinstall or loss of files

thanks

A:EEE pc windows 7 starter to many hard drive parts

Before this ends in tears, post a screen capture image of your Disk Management screen, so we can get a better picture of the story.

Why do you say your recovery partition is empty?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/260959-eee-pc-windows-7-starter-many-hard-drive-parts.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I have a co-worker that brought in his Acer notebook. It is running Windows 7 loads but only will show the background. Nothing else will show. When trying to do a repair it locks up the repair every time. Does the same thing if I try to install Windows again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

A:Windows 7 - Cant repair or wipe hard drive

I would run the correct respective hard drive diagnostic, available at the website of the hard drive manufactuer.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/426978/windows-7-cant-repair-or-wipe-hard-drive/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hello,

I have a desktop computer that currently has a Pentium 4 CPU, 2 Gigs of Ram and Windows XP.

I want to install Windows 7 OEM on this machine. Do I need to wipe the hard drive first?

Also, I am thinking of just replacing the hard drive anyway....can I replace the hard drive and then install Windows 7? Do I need to worry about any drivers for the mother board, sound card, video card, etc. before I scrub or replace the hard drive?

Thanks for the assist!

Cheers,

Dave

A:Windows 7 Install - Do I Wipe Hard Drive First?

I always prefer to install Windows to a blank, unallocated drive. If you don't at least format it, then you'll be left with a lot of XP's files.

If you decide to replace the hard drive, it will already be blank. You would need to worry about drivers either way, and it is always good to have them handy, especially your network ones. Windows Update may get some or all of your hardware, but I always have them downloaded to a flash drive, ready to install, just in case.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/230929-windows-7-install-do-i-wipe-hard-drive-first.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I have an asus laptop This is my only way of doing my school work I windows install wipe hard drive and to 8 How was a windows laptop origionally but it automatically updated to windows and i installed windows on it myself recently I have expreienced a problem with it to where it would not boot up at all I continued with an endless loop and would not boot up to anything My warrenty ran out last month so I can send it in for repairs unless I pay I have a windows product key and How to wipe hard drive and install windows 8 before I make a bootable usb flash drive I want to completely wipe my hard drive Can someone please tell me how I can completely wipe my hard drive befor installing a How to wipe hard drive and install windows 8 new operating system I want to make sure I do everything correctly before I start I do not have a cd burner and my home desktop is an xp so it is limited to what it can even do at all I just need a way to make a usb flash drive that can completely wipe my system so I can clean install windows

A:How to wipe hard drive and install windows 8

You said it was originally installed with Windows 8. The recovery partition should still be there with Windows 8 unless you
intentionally deleted it or replaced the hdd.
Is it still there or not?
If it is you can perform a clean install of Windows 8 without downloading anything.

Windows 8-How to restore the system to factory default settings if I can't enter the system?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/559381/how-to-wipe-hard-drive-and-install-windows-8/
Relevancy 74.82%

How do I completely wipe a hard drive and install a fresh XP A computer someone has is just totally messed up When you restart nothing opens you can't do anything except try to get something to open manually through the task manager AIM is about the only thing that will do that His browsers and everything won't open Windows doesn't really work either the background is the only thing that shows up Hes messed the thing up bad with viruses and what not over the past year And it randomly restarts itself so it just crazy Wiping it clean and windows? a Wipe re-install hard drive and re-installing windows will basically make it brand new right or am I wrong Wipe a hard drive and re-install windows? about that If thats what needs to be done to it then what program do I get and if it can be fixed somehow without wiping it then how can I do that The computer was tweaking a while back and I went and ran spyware adware virus scanners basically anything I could think of and found a lot of stuff but it still had problems I'm thinking now nothing short of a clean install can help it

A:Wipe a hard drive and re-install windows?

Oh and there are no restore points ever. That could have helped!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/wipe-a-hard-drive-and-re-install-windows-159503.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Windows and my partitions on my hard drive are messed up. How can I wipe my hard drive so that I can reinstall Windows via a DVD?

A:Wipe Hard Drive without Accessing Windows

you should get the option to remove the partions and reset up the drive from the DVD
otherwise I would use
http://www.dban.org/

which can completely clean a harddrive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wipe-hard-drive-without-accessing-windows.1154204/
Relevancy 74.82%

I want to leave my Hard Drive Like NEW

A:How Wipe my Hard Drive to reinstall Windows 7

Don't we all.

Check this tutorial: Clean Install Windows 7

Just be aware, you will lose any personal data you haven't backed up first.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/195991-how-wipe-my-hard-drive-reinstall-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 74.82%

PLEASE HELP A POOR GUY, WITH AN A.O.S. IN CNT from 10 years ago, because of no good education system and economy.

Relevancy 74.39%

Hi This is my first post as I joined today I need help with a couple of things I am confident on most things on my current Windows Home Premium laptop - but I have just changed to a new Netbook Help Please!! Starter on Netbook - Windows new 7 Urgent which only has Windows Starter I have been told Windows 7 Starter on new Netbook - Urgent Help Please!! to use a usb transfer cable to move most of my items like docs favs and photos across but need to ask a few questions before I start please Will all my docs emails etc transfer ok as I presume Windows Starter works Windows 7 Starter on new Netbook - Urgent Help Please!! same as Windows Home Premium Also will all my programs like McAfee and Word automatically transfer My current laptop says it is bit and the new Acer Netbook bit - any problems there I currently have the choice of using Greek as my second language on my current laptop and by clicking EN EL it allows me to change an type in Greek Don't know how I installed this function initially but must have it on my new Acer Netbook Reading online some people say there is not an option for this on Windows Starter - help Finally for the moment is it worth upgrading to Home Premium which I have now on my laptop I will not use my new netbook for games or downloading films or music or any major photo work like photoshop Would appreciate your advice before my new netbook arrives this week Thank you all so much

A:Windows 7 Starter on new Netbook - Urgent Help Please!!

Since you need to have your files backed up externally at all times anyway, I'd sort it all into your User folders then back them up to external USB drive. Then from the new PC, open each folder, select Organize tab, Select All, drag the group to the User folder on the left-hand Explorer bar. Don't release the left click until it stops expanding and confirms copying to the correct place. Copying files to an external drive - YouTube

If you're less confident you can open the two windows side by side and drag the group of folders to the target location.

You'll always need to reinstall your Programs, but especially changing bit-versions since this requires new installers for most programs. Let us know if you need help finding any.

Starter just forfeits desktop backgrounds and Aero frame transparency, otherwise it's the same exact OS as all other versions without the expensive extra features of the higher versions. You should make an informed decision about those features you actually need before upgrading: Compare Windows 7 Editions - Windows 7 Forums

Since it sounds like you'll be using the Factory install which came with the PC, be aware that this is usually an inferior install which may throttle even more the low power of most netbooks. You can reclaim some of the performance using Clean Up Factory Bloatware which also gives you smart optimizations and tools to use which work best with Win7.

But to have the best install of all you can also consider doing a Clean Reinstall Windows 7 following the steps compiled based on what's worked best in tens of thousands of installs we've directly helped with here since Win7 beta, and has been used by over a million consumers without a single complaint or return with problems.

Ask back any questions and keep us posted how it goes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/360108-windows-7-starter-new-netbook-urgent-help-please.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Bought my partner the Asus 1005HA for Xmas, and it runs pretty well. May upgrade ram, but it works.

The only minor issue I have experienced is that the small magnifying glass that should come up on the second entry when searching in start menu (the one that says 'see more results' after the initial search in the 'search programs' box) is a blank box with no icon. Small change... but rather than rebuild all icons for this small issue is there another way around it? She can live with it... but I would like the magnifying glass there

A:Windows 7 Starter on Asus Netbook

Hi shindig!

Rebuilding your icon cache is actually really quick and easy. Here's a quick guide: Rebuild The Icon Cache In Windows 7 or Vista

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/50748-windows-7-starter-asus-netbook.html
Relevancy 74.39%

i just purchased the Asus EE PC 1001p model a few weeks ago and worked fine. But atleast once every 2 days i keep getting a BSOD that appears and restarts my netbook in a few seconds.

i only use it for basic internet browsing and ms word and ms excel, i didnt install any complex applications either. Plus i upgraded my ram to 2GB so thats not the problem either because i was getting BSOD before i upgraded the ram.

anyone know the cause of these problems? heres what it says after the netbook restarts itself:

Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.11
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 44
BCP1: 848E2A30
BCP2: 00000EAE
BCP3: 0
BCP4: 0
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\062810-19250-01.dmp
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-130245-0.sysdata.xml

A:I Keep getting BSOD on my Windows 7 Starter netbook

Have you tried system restore?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/94233-i-keep-getting-bsod-my-windows-7-starter-netbook.html
Relevancy 74.39%

My netbook crashed luckly I have an external cd rom drive, and the recovery discs. How do I get the netbook working again though. What are the steps I need to take.

A:My netbook with windows 7 starter crashed!

1.) What's the make and model# of your netbook?

2.) When you say it "crashed," what exactly are the issues that it's having?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-netbook-with-windows-7-starter-crashed.1032688/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello!

After repartitioning the hard drive of a Packard Bell Dot S and installing Ubuntu on it, Windows 7 Starter won't start anymore, but instead Startup Repair gets started. This cannot repair the problem.

I didn't mess up the partitions of Windows, but I can now select two Windows installs in GRUB. One is in Dutch and the other in English when Startup Repair starts.

How can I repair Windows 7 Starter without losing data/Ubuntu install?

Thanks!

A:Repair Windows 7 Starter on netbook

The easiest way is probably to use EasyBCD
https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/dual-boot/linux/ubuntu/
It must be installed in Windows, as although Ubuntu is supported, it cannot work from Ubuntu
I presume you can still boot into windows
If you are having a problem doing that try F12 - probably boot options
On the guide you want this section
Adding Ubuntu to the Windows Bootloader

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-windows-7-starter-on-netbook.1119274/
Relevancy 74.39%

I got my HP Mini 110 for christmas, which came with the Windows 7 Starter Edition. I recently tried uninstalling Ubuntu, and accidentally formatted the drive with my Windows 7 on it. Is there any way I can contact Microsoft, give them my computer information, i.e. Model#, etc., and get Windows 7 Starter again? Even if it was my own d.a. fault! lol
Really hoping I can get it back. Is there a way to restore the partition that I deleted with Ubuntu? I didn't back it up manually, but maybe there's an automatic backup of some sort??? And when I got my netbook, I didn't get a recovery disc or a key or anything of use. Please help.

A:Is there a way to get Windows 7 Starter back on to my netbook?

Most computer mfg give you an option to restore to factory specs

Either
With a DVD that came with the computer

or

Tapping an f key during boot.

A little time with Google says that it might be f10

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95418-there-way-get-windows-7-starter-back-my-netbook.html
Relevancy 74.39%

At my first installation of Windows to my netbook there were language options Turkish amp English Today I decided to reinstall Win from umm what you call the partition where is located Windows setup files the hidden part of the HDD I pressed F it didn't worked Googled it and I'm right it is F for Casper's netbooks Then I tried F then reinstall Windows which does not exists on my desktop PC interestingly and I 7 Reinstalling Windows to Netbook Starter installed it Reinstalling Windows 7 Starter to Netbook without problem Even it backuped the old files And didn't touched some folders under C But it is not clean installation as you can see it backuped the old files didn't touched some folders under C and the most inportant part is that now it is Turkish Where is my English Windows I want Reinstalling Windows 7 Starter to Netbook to ask how can I start this Windows setup which is hidden at the HDD Is there something like Linux distro and app to start it I have USB sockets but not CD DVD etc hardware

A:Reinstalling Windows 7 Starter to Netbook

Did you briskly and firmly tap the F11 key as the netbook is starting up? Are you sure the correct key combination is F11 alone? Check your manual at the Support Downloads webpage for your netbook model to be sure you are running it correctly.

Can you enter Windows 7 and navigate to Control Panel>Folder Options>View to unhide Hidden and System Files, then attempt to locate in hidden Recovery Partition the English image file used by F11 Recovery to reimage the HD? If so it can sometimes be mounted or written to USB stick to boot and run.

You can also locate a Win7 installer of any version to unlock all versions to clean reinstall Starter version with the Product Key on your netbook's COA sticker. However, as Product Keys are language-specific you need to know for sure if your license is for Turkish, English or both.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/101311-reinstalling-windows-7-starter-netbook.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hey everyone I m new to the forums I am trying to help a friend out with his Sony Vaio E Series Laptop The computer had crashed and he tried to do a clean install of windows but it failed and nothing would respond Even when you tired to do a clean install of windows again it just dban wipe windows after hard 7 drive a reinstall Can't went Can't reinstall windows 7 after a hard drive dban wipe to the light blue windows screen with the bird and nothing happened So I used Dban to Wipe the hard drive clean and start over from scratch After I wiped it I tried to reinstall windows and it says there are no signed device drivers found So I checked the bios and it s not even registering the hard drive I have been searching the boards everywhere to find a solution to this The Bios does not allow for much change so I can not make sure it is set to a SATA connection and I have tried turning off the signed device option when starting up Nothing Can't reinstall windows 7 after a hard drive dban wipe is working If someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it Sony Vaio E Series Model VPCEB FM Intel Core I nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

Hi, all!!

Its been a week since I purchased the MSI U 270 netbook,and im kinda in a mess,..plzz assist,

Yesterday upon shutting down, the process took longer than usual, windows got jammed , so I closed the netbook, thinking that it would auto power off.

Upon gettin back after a minute or two, I see a blue screen error, panicked and removed the battery pack , reinserted and started in safe mode,

Do I have need to worry, the event Viewer (system) gives me a bugcheck of 0x0000009f,

P.S one minute prior to the blue screen error the event viewer shows a critical error in relation to Kernel -Power, are these related issues,

What steps should I take to see that this does not reccur.

A:Blue Screen on new MSI U 270 netbook, with windows 7 starter,(HELP)!!!

Hi nihal welcome to SF

The first steps you should take are these,

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/181916-blue-screen-new-msi-u-270-netbook-windows-7-starter-help.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello I have a Toshiba NB Netbook I had decided to install another operating system Linux and now have come to the conclusion that I no longer want both windows and linux on my system I want to go back to just using windows Its windows starter edition I have literally tried other methods to starter on with 7 netbook Problem windows reinstalling a do this for countless and pointless hours coming to the conclusion I would rather format my hard drive Problem with reinstalling windows 7 starter on a netbook and reinstall windows Now here is the problem I have a netbook which does not come with a cd drive nor do I have an external I have actually figured out how to make a boot module from a usb flash drive The problem is I do not know how to or where to obtain an ISO for windows starter edition I do have the serial key for windows starter located on the bottom of my netbook Finally which really ticks me off is when I bought my netbook I have now come to realize that it did or DOES NOT HAVE A RECOVERY PARTITION Any advice on how I can reinstall windows starter with hard drive formatting Thank You P S my product key is OEM

A:Problem with reinstalling windows 7 starter on a netbook

Hello pkrplyr, welcome to Seven Forums!

You can use any version of Windows 7 and the info in this tutorial at the link below to create an 'all versions' installer that can be used to install "Windows 7 starter" to the netbook and use your key to activate.

Windows 7 Universal Installation Disc - Create

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

The first best thing to do would be a wipe (secure erase) of the Hard Disk Drive, after you have made backups of anything you want to save, this will give you the best possible space to install Windows 7 to while removing all the old Linux code.

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/127022-problem-reinstalling-windows-7-starter-netbook.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello, i have recently purchased a Dell netbook with windows 7 starter installed.

I have tried to change to a wallpaper of my choice, but am informed it cannot be done on 7 starter edition, maybe needs a programme adding to do this, any help or ideas please, need to get rid of boring standard wallpaper ?
Thanks.

A:Dell inspiron 10v netbook (windows 7 starter)

Yes, there is a way around this. Windows 7 Starter : Easy way to change wallpaper

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/314247/dell-inspiron-10v-netbook-windows-7-starter/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi all,

I'm experiencing frequent BSODs on my Acer Aspire One 533 with Windows 7 Starter. I've actually had to rewrite this twice because of it.

Event Viewer says it's an event 41, Kernel-Power error.

Here is my BSOD dump.

A:Help: Frequent Netbook BSOD - Windows 7 Starter

Hello and welcome to 7 Forums,

NO .dmp files in jcgriff folder - try this method.

Quote:
To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kb) in the drop down box (the 256kb varies).
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
OK your way out.
Reboot if changes have been made.
Until a .dmp file is generated, the Minidump folder may not exist.

If you are using CCleaner - make sure it is configured to not delete minidumps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/145722-help-frequent-netbook-bsod-windows-7-starter.html
Relevancy 73.53%

My ASUS netbook won't shut down properly. Start/Shut down usually results in rebooting. In the lower-right corner of the sign in screen is another Shut down icon, which occasionally will shut down the netbook. Most of the time (70-80 per cent), though. it shuts down, but the power light remains on. The only reliable method is to hold the Power button until it goes dark.

Has anyone else had this problem?

JP

A:Windows Starter on ASUS 1005P netbook

It shuts down but the power light remains on? And the shutdown results in booting? This might very well point to a hardware issue. Is this under warranty? I would give ASUS a call.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-starter-on-asus-1005p-netbook.960223/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi, I recently purchased a Dell Xps 1340 laptop that came with windows 7 32 bit professional. After a few months, I needed to wipe the hard disk, and so I did. Before I did, I extracted my product key with a program that I downloaded off the internet. I got the following information:

Windows 7 Professional
Product Part No.: X15-37377
Installed from 'OEM' media.
Product ID: ******* match to CD Key data
CD Key: *********
Computer Name: ***-PC
Registered Owner: ***
Registered Organization:

Anyway, I had a RETAIL windows 7 professional disc, and I installed this onto my dell laptop. However, it keeps telling me that my product key is wrong when I try to activate. I have tried both 32bit and 64bit

any idea why this is happening? is it because I'm using a RETAIL windows 7 disc? If I try a dell oem disc, will that work with my product key?

thanks

A:Reinstalling Windows 7 after hard drive wipe - product key incorrect?

The Key that came with your dell is OEM and you should use a dell restore disk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/124314-reinstalling-windows-7-after-hard-drive-wipe-product-key-incorrect.html
Relevancy 73.1%

So I had Windows but was looking to sell my computer so I wanted to reinstall windows and just wipe my Old Windows hard Reinstall wipe Error! my 7 drive, to Wanted Windows I borrowed a burned Windows disc from a friend who said Wanted to wipe my hard drive, Windows 7 Reinstall Error! he got in from Windows website and already used it successfully I opted to wipe my old partition and create a new one that would just have Old Windows folder from the last partition The problem The installation failed just near the Wanted to wipe my hard drive, Windows 7 Reinstall Error! end and I had to restart Except now when I restart my computer makes me choose between Windows Windows Setup Rollback and another Windows The thing is all options don't work as they inevitably lead to a system Command Prompt And for some reason I can't boot from disc the disc doesn't even have presence any more and even if I could it failed once already right What am I to do no repairs work None I cannot system restore I just end up at command prompt each time What can I do if my computer doesn't boot from the Windows Disk

A:Wanted to wipe my hard drive, Windows 7 Reinstall Error!

Read through this tutorial by Kari and see if it is what you are looking for.

Windows 7 Installation - Prepare PC to be Sold

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/345694-wanted-wipe-my-hard-drive-windows-7-reinstall-error.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Im told a program called recuva can wipe the files. and ccleaner can wipe free space. is their something else I should be doing or using to remove personal data from the hard drive?

i've heard of dban but its a little complicated and I really dont want to remove windows and have to reinstall it. any tips are appreciated.

A:best way to wipe personal data from Hard drive wo deleting windows

CCleaner free version has an option to wipe free space. Delete personal files and run.

There is another program called eraser that will do the same thing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/364459-best-way-wipe-personal-data-hard-drive-wo-deleting-windows.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Im told a program called recuva can wipe the files. and ccleaner can wipe free space. is their something else I should be doing or using to remove personal data from the hard drive?
i've heard of dban but its a little complicated and I really dont want to remove windows and have to reinstall it. any tips are appreciated.

A:Best way to wipe personal data from Hard drive wo deleting windows

Yes, CCleaner can overwrite the free space. Once is enough. If there are files that you want to overwrite you can send them to the Recycle Bin and then
allow CCleaner to overwrite them while cleaning out the Recycle Bin.

Keep in mind that ISPs, phone companies, search engines and websites have stored information, too.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570712/best-way-to-wipe-personal-data-from-hard-drive-wo-deleting-windows/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello, i was wondering if there are any programs out there or anyways to change the wallpaper on a windows starter. I don't see why they couldn't just add the option in seeing its just to change the wallpaper. Anyways, Thanks in advance.

~Renzadic

A:Asus Netbook: Windows Starter: Change Wallpaper

Quote: Originally Posted by Renzadic

Hello, i was wondering if there are any programs out there or anyways to change the wallpaper on a windows starter. I don't see why they couldn't just add the option in seeing its just to change the wallpaper. Anyways, Thanks in advance.

~Renzadic

I prefer the second option in this tutorial myself,

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...7-starter.html

They both work though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/209096-asus-netbook-windows-starter-change-wallpaper.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi guys, had to have my toshiba netbook NB555D harddrive replaced with a new one. Got no warranty, no recovery media etc. Dont have windows 7 starter iso. What can I do?

Thanks

A:Netbook: Recovery Partition removed, need Windows 7 starter iso

Information

How to use Toshiba Recovery.
How to use the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility

You can order Toshiba Recovery disks from here:
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...rification.jsp

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/201835-netbook-recovery-partition-removed-need-windows-7-starter-iso.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi, hope you can help out once again.

I've been handed a friend's Samsung netbook (No cd/dvd drive) running Windows 7 Starter on which the system font has changed to unreadable square boxes instead of text.

Desktop icons are okay, though the start button is shifted to the left and I'm not sure but it looks like the start button logo is now to the right of the clock on the bottom right!

It crashes to various blue screens of death at the slightest opportunity. I've tried to run the f8 recovery console which whilst successful in running, did not fix anything.

The BSOD's cycle so fast I cannot even tell what error is reported, never mind any detail.

Any thoughts please or suggestions to help my author friend out?

A:Windows 7 Starter netbook unreadable square text

I'm getting there!

It seems to be tied in to a recent Critical Update, getting System Restore to finally, and reluctantly to work, I've got the normal text back but have had to go back around a fortnight.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/304919-windows-7-starter-netbook-unreadable-square-text.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I am a novice when it comes to errors and sytem repair so I decided to seek help here for my specific situation I have a Gateway netbook bought last year that is running Window Starter as was default when purchused Here's my problem Last night while coming out of hibernation my netbook flashed a blue screen and a countdown too fast to read has happened before to no issue which led to the netbook restarting into System Repair mode I clicked the system repair and it ran and said everything was fine and restarted It continued restart back to System Repair mode I tried restoring from a restore point and at first it said it was successful and then restarted back to System Repair I shut my netbook down for the night as it was getting late and started it back up this morning trying all the same things Too scared to try anything else I have never made a back up I Starter Netbook, loop, 7 Systems Repair Windows kept waiting for back-up drives to go on sale or for the price to fall I guess that was a mistake Anyway after consulting with forums here and other places online I have tried the following F into safe mode restarts into System Repair mode Now when I try system repair or restore points is says it's unsuccessful The last system repair attempt yeilded the following message in the diagnosis section everything else was successful except the following Root cause found ------------------ Boot critical file d windows system kdcom dll is corupt Repair action file repair Result failed Error code x Systems Repair loop, Netbook, Windows 7 Starter Time taken ms Root cause found ------------------ A reent Systems Repair loop, Netbook, Windows 7 Starter driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from Systems Repair loop, Netbook, Windows 7 Starter starting Repair action System Restore Result failed Error code x F Time taken ms I am very cautious about trying anything as I stated my files are not backed up What I'd like to do first before anything else is to back up or copy my files from my netbook either onto a external HD or to my laptop as they are very important After that I will be much more comfortable perfoming any fix on my computer Thank you I hope someone can help -Sarah

A:Systems Repair loop, Netbook, Windows 7 Starter

Hi Sarah and welcome,

Please use this tutorial to help you gain access to your files for backup-up before attempting any repairs:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...cy-backup.html

Post back here if you need more help or clarification.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/261215-systems-repair-loop-netbook-windows-7-starter.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi there.
Ok so i have a Acer Aspire netbook, it comes with Windows 7 starter and has android on a partition !! ( well, i think its a partition, on my computer it says i have my acer c: drive and android d: drive.

I never use the android OS on my netbook, and was wondering if its safe to format it, get rid of it on the d: drive. and use that drive for other storage ? or would that interfere with the operation of the computer?

Would it mess up the built in factory settings restore option on it ?

Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/446895/can-i-remove-the-android-os-partition-on-my-windows-7-starter-netbook/
Relevancy 72.67%

I am trying to reinstall Windows 7 for my cousin on her computer. However, as you shouod know, the netbook doesn't have a cd/dvd drive. So I have created an .iso of the DVD, transfered it with the windows 7 usb dvd tool and tried to use that. I can get into it all, however when I format the partition and try to install windows, I get "Setup was unable to create a new "system partition" or locate an existing "system partition" Any ideas why?

A:Acer Aspire One D257 Netbook issues

That Acer should have the recovery partition on it containing the OS on it and using the Acer built in recovery software to do a factory restore.

Acer Support: Frequently Asked Questions list for How to use Acer eRecovery

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/291211-acer-aspire-one-d257-netbook-issues.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Please let me know if you have any ideas:

I have an Acer Netbook and it got infected with a nasty virus that when I would turn it on I would get a black screen with a white blinking cursor in the upper left corner. I ordered the recovery disks from the acer website but when I am prompted to put in recovery disk 1, I do and it keeps ejecting itself.

I would just call acer tech support butI always hear that they are no help. Any suggestions would be a great help(since I am far too broke to buy a new computer), and if I have to I guess I'll call Acer.

Relevancy 71.81%

Im trying to reinstall Windows 7 starter on my friends samsung netbook. The computer wont boot up at all. Ive tried using the system recovery feature but that doesnt work, it syas files are missing. I tried running in Safe Mode but the it crashes before the operating system loads. A few other processes display the message 'operating system not found'.

My only choice is to delete everything thats ont he hard drive and format it, then reinstall the operating system. Thing is, she hasnt got any copy of Windows 7 Starter, neither on a disk or optical drive. If I were able to get a copy of the OS, how wouold i go about deleting everything on the hard drive and reinstalling it?

Ive been goin round in circles for a looong time and am getting nowhere so any help from any geniuses on here would be infinitly appreciated thanks guys.

A:Completely reinstalling Windows 7 Starter on Samung N150 Netbook

Tap the F4 Key at the Samsung logo when you first power on the computer.

How to use Samsung Recovery, make Recovery disks:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...NP-RF511-S02US#
What Is Samsung Recovery Solution III?
What Is Samsung Recovery Solution 4?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...NP-RF511-S02US#

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/173294-completely-reinstalling-windows-7-starter-samung-n150-netbook.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi

I have looked through the forum about this problem but anything I tried does seem to have work. I reinstalled my windows 7 Starter via the recovery options menu, but the installation is stuck on the screen "Setup is starting Services" it been like this for the past 4 hours I can't seem to get rid of it. I have turned the computer off and on loads of time and even pressed SHIFT plus F10 followed the steps but nothing worked. I can't even get into the boot menu or anything.

Am doing something wrong?mi would appericate any help or advice that you may have. Thank you

A:reinstalling windows 7 starter on Aspire one Happy 2DQQ Netbook

Hello and welcome Steff now have you saved all your data? see this Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

Anotherway is to install again with the factory default option - that will takeit back to out of the box condition, if what you are trying is not working .

See this but it will erase any data you have - hopefully you have backed stuff up already.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/376635-reinstalling-windows-7-starter-aspire-one-happy-2dqq-netbook.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi,

We purchased Sony Netbook (for my daughter) with windows 7 starter edition more than 1 year old (not under warranty now). Laptop was shipped with no media but with a win7 license key on bottom of Laptop. Now we need to do a clean install due to several problems with it.

1. I do NOT have MSDN account - where can i download win7 starter edition? (i do have license serial key)

2. Since it doesn't have DVD, i have only option of installing through USB stick. Please advise best tool to prepare win7 ISO to USB.

Thanks
Kumar

A:Clean installation of windows 7 starter edition on Sony Netbook

Best to find any Win7 retail installer, unlock all versions to write to an all-versions flash stick installer, then install your licensed version using COA sticker Product Key.

All the steps are here: Reinstalling Windows 7

If you need to download the ISO file get a safe one by googling Official WIn7 ISO download at My Digital Life.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/194864-clean-installation-windows-7-starter-edition-sony-netbook.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi, Everyone this is my 1st post, I had been reading Sevenforums before i actually join it. Eversince then i got most of my doubt solve.

I just bought a Sony Vaio Y series come with Windows 7 Starter.

I got a bad deal form Malaysia giving windows 7 stater and 320gb hd, whereas S'pore giving Windows 7 home premiun and 500hd. Anyway i like the design and portability of this model.

I got a Year Warranty, But i'm wanted to upgrade it to Win7 Ent. and also wanted to upgrade my ram to 4GB max. my existing one is 2GB. but i afraid this would void the warranty.

Let get my question i wanted to update to Win7 Ent with out and not keeping my starter. but i afraid of driver issue, i plan to boot by USB setup.

Any advice?

A:Install Windows 7 Enterprise on Netbook Replacing Windows 7 Starter

Yeah -- warranty advice can only properly come from the warranty holder (despite what others here may tell you). So, you need to check with Sony support to see if performing such a Win7 upgrade will compromise your warranty in any way. My guess would be that it would not -- but (like everyone else posting here) -- that is only a guess.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/190275-install-windows-7-enterprise-netbook-replacing-windows-7-starter.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi guys, I can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere...

Am I able to use the windows 7 family upgrade pack to upgrade Windows 7 starter on my netbook?

I know it will work for my XP desktop and Vista laptop, just unsure about my Windows 7 Netbook.

Any help appreciated

Ayupmiduck ^^

A:Windows 7 family pack upgrade on Windows starter netbook.

The family pack allows for three installations, so if this Netbook meets the system requirements, and you have only installed it on two other machines, then you should be fine.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/369313/windows-7-family-pack-upgrade-on-windows-starter-netbook/
Relevancy 69.23%

Whenever I use the Windows Explorer's built in search One Drive. Hard Specific Working On Searches Windows Explorer Not functionality to search for something on one specific hard drive the searches never find a result nbsp Explorer immediately tells me quot No items match your search quot Even if I'm searching a single folder for the exact filename of the only file inside that folder nbsp I have an SSD and two other Hard Drives installed the problem only occurs on this hard drive nbsp The problem drive was originally labeled as my A drive but was renamed to O when after looking for solutions I found someone saying that A drives were long ago reserved for floppy disk slots or something to that effect nbsp And that it could cause problems while searching drives labeled A The contents of the drive were all transferred over from an external hard drive formerly used by a Mac nbsp -I've made sure that the drive itself is set to be indexed nbsp -I've rebuilt the index multiple times -I've ensured that the drive all sub-directories and files have their permissions set for users and system to have full access nbsp -I've deleted the C ProgramData Microsoft Search Data folder after force quitting the Windows Search Indexer then rebuilt the Index again nbsp This stopped searches working temporarily on all other drives nbsp But when the indexing was completed search functionality returned to all drives except the original problem drive -I've checked the drive for errors and optimized it nbsp Any ideas nbsp I'm stumped nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/784fd658-c1b1-434b-8e3b-8e945ac2e120/windows-explorer-searches-not-working-on-one-specific-hard-drive?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 66.65%

I tried to upgrade the OS and it came back with an error message 8024DEFF.  tried many times and still won't upgrade.  I have  Win 7 starter ver 6.1.  I would like to upgrade to the free Win 10 OS.
I dont have the Enterprise addition.  What do I do?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dbe0cc0c-aadb-4ef0-9f7c-3ebbeaa0cad8/windows-7-starter-in-acer-aspire?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 66.65%

i was going to format and start again but i dont have the disc

ive tried going into c: drive - i386 folder - winnt32 but it after it starts i keep getting error 1722

ive tried dban boot and nuke, made the cd and it boots up then just stops and does nothing

any suggestions?

A:trying to wipe hard drive

If it is a Dell, just buy a CD (about $12). If it is not, create a bootable DOS flash drive ( http://www.megaleecher.net/Make_Bootable_USB ), copy the i386 folder to it, boot it, and try it that way.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/477177/trying-to-wipe-hard-drive/
Relevancy 66.65%

hi can anyone help me i had windows se i have win xp pro full edition now i need to know how to how to wipe my hard drive clean so i can start fresh with nothing on my hard drive i am not very good at computer stuff so a step by step guide i could print would be good thanks

Relevancy 66.65%

Hello my first time here I am building another computer when installing Hard Wipe Drive Windows XP full version the set up shows im missing a file to fully install XP what I need to know is how do I wipe a new hard drive formatted but Hard Drive Wipe empty clean and Hard Drive Wipe start fresh Is there a way to add this HHD to my other computer and wipe it clean or do I have to set a lb magnet on it for weeks new system is Intel D C Hy thrd gigs of Ram GB HHD DVD drive DVD burner floppy drives flash card reader some where I read or thought I read a way to do that slave it and wipe it out would really like Hard Drive Wipe to do this my self going to the computer shop wont let me learn anything I now have a NEW full version of XP other computers I built used my first XP Pro disk and I copied it to do the nd it worked just fine this one says Im missing a lot of files at boot up Ant suggestions Thanks for all your time Alex

A:Hard Drive Wipe

There are several programs that will completely wipe a hard drive clean, even to government standards if you like. There's Darik's Boot N Nuke, which will create either a bootable floppy or CD and you can start the machine with it and then choose the type of wipe you want to do. Then you need to re-format and install the operating system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/62911/hard-drive-wipe/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hey, I have a vista laptop, it came preinstalled.

I want to wipe the laptop completely, then run my XP disc as it won't run while vista is installed.

I can't format it, because vista (my os) is on that drive.

How could I do this?

I download DBAN, burnt the iso to disc, tried to run it by putting it first in boot menu, but it doesnt do anything?

ty.

Relevancy 66.65%

what i was wanting to know is how would i wipe out my hard drive .... i have all my programs save to my e drive an want to keep but how can i wipe everything thing else off to start off fresh like a new start my burner aitn working to copy my saved files on my e drive but i was wondering can i work around this ...........

Relevancy 66.65%

I no longer need my Mac because I have an IBM. The Mac isn't worth anything to sell. I want to dispose of it in the garbage, but I'm afraid of someone taking it and seeing files I have saved on my hard drive -- social security #'s, financial stuff, etc.

The problem is that when I turned on the computer, I can't get anything to show up on the screen. (I haven't used the computer for 6-12 months now.) I turned up the brightness and contrast and still could not see anything. The computer did boot up.

My husband said he could just take a hammer and smash the hard drive unit so that we could toss it out.

Any suggestions on what to do???

THANKS!
Sue

A:How do I wipe out my hard drive? (yes, I want to)

More than likely, noone is going to mess with your pc once you trash it. But, if it would make you feel better, just let your husband smash the hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-wipe-out-my-hard-drive-yes-i-want-to.46217/
Relevancy 66.65%

Lately i have been having virus problems. These are the symptoms:

-unexpected standby
-my computer tries to dial-up while i am on the internet
-system restore says no changes can be made
-windows key acts stuck, but is not physically stuck (when i press "r", run comes up, etc)
-certain ctrl alt delete patterns don't work
-left shift key doesn't work for q, w, e, r, t, y, u, and c.
-right shift key doesn't work for a, i, o, and p.

i reinstalled windows xp pro and reformatted the hard drive, thinking that it would clean the hard drive, but i still have the same virus symptoms. I heard about programs like DBAN that wipe the hard drive, but i don't want to delete the drivers that i need for the graphics card, sound card, etc.

i just want to start over new.

A:How do i wipe my hard drive?

To completely wipe a hard drive (and viruses) you have to do a low-level format. Dban or Active Killdisk will work.
This will, unfortunately, wipe it clean. Meaning you will have to reload drivers

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/183087/how-do-i-wipe-my-hard-drive/
Relevancy 66.65%

What is the easiest and quickest way to completly erase a hard drive? Without destroying it?

Relevancy 66.65%

Can anyone tell me how I can pletely clean my hard drive as I have windows ME on it, I cant uninstall it, as i want to reinstall 98,
I would like to completely wipe it so I can start over.

A:hard drive wipe

make a windows 98 or me boot floppy, boot with it with cdrom support, run
format c:
format d:
and so on for all ur partitions (drive letters)

place the win98 cdrom in ur driv
then, type in the letter of ur cdrom
eg. d:
then type in setup.exe

note, i dont use 98 anymore, havent used it for a long time. most of the above information is correct, but the path to the windows 98 setup maybe incorrect

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-wipe.180029/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hoping somebody can help with this. I have an IBM PS1 to get rid of. Somebody told me I could sell it, but I doubt that. What I do know is, it's not leaving the house until all my data is erased.
The computer doesn't have a modem, so it can't go online.
The only way to feed anything into it is with a floppy disk.
Given those facts, is there a way to eradicate everything?

Or, is this such a sorry specimen, that not even the hardiest devotee of antique computers would want it as a donation? Should I just forget about trying to preserve the machine, and physically wreck the hard drive?

Thanks so much!

Relevancy 66.65%

I am going to reinstall my OS. Is it necessary to wipe the hard drive? Well I know you need to format it once, but how many passes do you let it go through? Is it ok just to do one pass? What is the best wiping program that I can get for free to put on a dvd? Can rootkits survive a good wipe?
Thanks

Operating System
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium T2370 @ 1.73GHz 43 ?C
Merom 65nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-12)
Motherboard
Gateway 43 ?C

A:Best way to wipe a hard drive

when you install the os, it will wipe the drive. that is really all that is necessary if you are reinstalling for yourself. If you are planning to sell and had sensitive info on it then use a utility such as dban to wipe the drive securely.

Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/best-way-to-wipe-a-hard-drive-806049.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a hard drive that in an old computer that Iím disposing of. It has Win98SE on it, along with a bunch of other stuff. I would like to wipe it clean so that I can use it for another purpose. When I start the computer, it boots to Win98. If I then go to the MS-DOS screen and try to format the drive, Iím informed that the drive is in use and canít be formatted.

So, how can I format the drive?

A:How can I wipe a hard drive?

If you just want to reuse the drive, you can boot from any kind of bootable CD (XP, Win 98, Linux) and then format the drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-wipe-a-hard-drive.976369/
Relevancy 66.65%

Im running windows 7 64x, from the time I bought my laptop there's a whole bunch of unwanted program's plus having a kid sister install unwanted software on it. I'm thinking of wiping the drive and reinstalling all the program's I want myself. I just want to know how to do this safely without obviously removing my OS. Anyone have any info on helping me with this?

A:Hard drive wipe

and welcome to the Forum

If you wipe the drive you loose everything on it. You would have to start over and instll the operating system, then the applications.

If you just want to get rid of unwanted applications, Uninstall them with Revo Uninstaller.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-wipe-654330.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I am trying to wipe my old hard drive - Windows XP OS installed on a Gateway Desktop PC. When I start the program
(Diskwipe.exe), I get the message - cannot format - the volume is in use. No matter what I do, I can't seem to resolve this issue.I would welcome any suggestions.

Relevancy 66.65%

I bought a used HP today and the hard drive hasn't been wiped clean. I would like a clean slate but I have no clue how to do it. OS is passworded, by the way. Also, I would like to make a new restore cd from my daughter's computer for backup and for fresh install on the new one. The first one of the original discs is badly scratched. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 66.65%

Recently I have noticed I ve had a memory problem I play mmorpgs and the last two I have played will start up let me log in and choose my character but as soon as the game loads I get a blue screen that says my computer has been shut off and I should restart After getting a free virus protection program I have I Hard If Wipe My Drive.. norton but it doesn t seem to scan everything even on a full scan and found that through it and Avast I have a multitued of viruses and maleware eating up my computer such as vundo click and fotomoto So my question is If I popin my os disk that came with my laptop and reinstall windows xp will I be safe Through one of the If I Wipe My Hard Drive.. many pop ups I ve seen recently I saw something about registry corruption So that s my If I Wipe My Hard Drive.. biggest question Things I ve done I ve already started on the path to properly posting a hijackthis log but I wanted to know if it d just be easier to start over Thanks and enjoy death p s sorry for posting in the wrong area got a little post happy

A:If I Wipe My Hard Drive..

If you format and reinstall Windows then yes, you will be virus free. I would probably go down the HJT route before I reformatted though.

One thing, next time you get Blue Screen stop message, copy down the entire message and post it back here. The information given is useful in tracking down what the problem is.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136676/if-i-wipe-my-hard-drive/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a an Acer laptop that I'm going to sell and I downloaded DBAN (Deriks Boot And Nuke) which I was told would wipe my hard drive. I burned it to a CD as instructed and was told to put it in cd/dvd drive and boot to disc.
Can't get into BIOS as instructed...restart PC, as soon as logo appears punch the F2 key at the bottom left of the screen, which I do but the what I get has no choice to get into BIOS. I did everything I could think of punching the up and down and left to right arrows in that blue window but nothing for BIOS. Any easier way to "boot to disc" than what I'm told? I've been fighting with this thing for 4 days and the only way to run DBAN is from the cd/dvd drive. Any help at all please....... barb

A:trying to wipe hard drive

can you get into bios setup - when the computer posts WITHOUT the DBAN disc in
On the post screen it will say to enter setup press and name a key
OR there may be another message for boot options press and again name a key
The BIOS setup changes the boot priority order for all boots
the boot options key only changes it for the ONE time boot
Have you checked it is F2

I do not understand this
as soon as logo appears punch the F2 key at the bottom left of the screenClick to expand...

has the laptop got a keyboard and if so - what does bottom left of screen refer to please
the usual procedure is to keep tapping the F2 or whatever key is shown as enter setup, immediately the computers posts

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-wipe-hard-drive.1155987/
Relevancy 66.65%

hey i have a 40gb hard drive that i took out of an old comp and i put it in an enclosure. When i open it it shows program files, documents etc.. all the crap that was on it before. when i try to delete it, it says acess denied..Whats the easiest way to clear/format the drive??
thanks

A:Wipe hard drive?

Ok so easily when you find it in My computer just right click on it a click format and do a Quick format. That's it.

If it still don't work download this software Acronis Disk Director Suite that will help to you fomat it easily.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wipe-hard-drive.110829/
Relevancy 66.65%

trying to install windows 7 on daughters towers ,it said needed more ram so deleted nearly everything but when turned on later it system restored and now cant do anything tried to installn games etc; back in but it says cannot find path, how do i wipe the whole hard drive? i don't have the xp install disk please help

Relevancy 66.65%

My daughter is selling her computer and would like to wipe the hard drive clean before doing so. Is there a DOS command or other formatting command she can use to clear it all out? Format C: *.* seems a little too drastic. Thank youKMFModerator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:How Do I Wipe My Hard Drive

Use Kill Disk. This is a freeware utility that will destroy the information on your hard drive. It overwrites the information making it difficult if not impossible to recover.The utility can be ran from a floppy or CD.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/89316/how-do-i-wipe-my-hard-drive/
Relevancy 66.65%

I cant log onto my computer because its virused really bad with a root kit and i want to wipe my hard drive and reinstall XP so i can start fresh please help.

A:Cannot log on and want to wipe my hard drive help

There is no need to log in. You need to go into the BIOS and set the first boot device to the CD drive, exit and save changes. Then insert the XP cd and Restart the computerTo reach the BIOS in most computers, you reboot the computer, when the initial black and white screen shows, startt tapping the Delete key

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/209803/cannot-log-on-and-want-to-wipe-my-hard-drive-help/
Relevancy 66.65%

I'm in China now and will be leaving for the US in a few weeks. I'm going to give my computer to my wife's nephew. I want to wipe my hard drive out so he can put Chinese Windows XP on it. What is the best way to wipe the hard drive?

TD

Here's a couple options,

Darik's Boot and Nuke - Use to Secure Wipe a Hard Drive

Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/292632-hard-drive-wipe.html
Relevancy 66.65%

My hard drive is partitioned into 3 drives: C,D,E.

I have ME installed on C
I have 2000 installed on D
I have 2000 Advanced Server installed on E

Can I go into DOS, format E, then D, then C, and then using a ME recovery disk and the 2000 CD, can I reinstall 2000 only onto C and take it from there?

If so, can I use a start-up disk from ME to install the 2000 CD?

I am having a bunch of hardware problems and I want to see if it the combo of the different OS's installed and try only one. If that does not solve them, I will re-install the other programs again.

A:Can I wipe out my hard drive?

closing duplicte, view this thread
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=46511

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-wipe-out-my-hard-drive.46512/
Relevancy 66.65%

Am thinking of getting a new comp. Im gonnna wipe hard drive of my current comp with Eraser or BC Wipe.
Problem is im only about semi-computer literate. Some of the stuff instructions on doing it seem hopelessly complicated. Is it really this complicated?

Hi,

Nope, piece of cake as they say.

If you are running XP, then simply go to Start, My computer, select the drive you want to format and select format...away it will go and you will have a drive that is ready to be used..

If using Win98, then make a boot disk from Bootdisk.com, then fdisk, remove all partitions, create a partition, activate a partition, shut down, reboot, format the partition when it comes back up, shut down again and you have a formatted drive ready to go.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-wipe-25319.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I want to upgrade my desktop from XP to 7 Ultimate so it is compatible with my 2 laptops. I have never wiped out a hard drive before. Does anyone know of a good "how to" guide I can follow? I Googled it, but thought you pros would know of something better. I already have the 7 Ultimate software and an external to save my existing file too.

Thanks

A:Hard Drive Wipe Out

The easiest way is to just start the install and when prompted let "windows 7 install" format the disk.
It will probably save the old XP to a folder called Windows old but all you need to do is delete it after the install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/125214-hard-drive-wipe-out.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi

I have nothing important on my computer and l have a malware problem that l can't get rid of so l want to know how to wipe my hard drive and start all over.

Thanks

Alan

Relevancy 66.65%

hello. i have a windows xp. it has been running a odd ever since i got a virus a year or two ago. i would like to wipe the hard drive. the only problem is that my dad has quicken tax files installed on the computer. (he has a new one now that he uses.) i also dont know the procedure for wiping my hard drive, and reinstalling my os. i want to keep some essential files as well if that is possible. i

if someone could provide me with a step by step procedure for someone with a decent knowledge of computers, i would be forever greatful.

Thanks

Parker Rush

A:Help with hard drive wipe

You can copy any files you want to save to cd or other removable media ( and do this from time to time as a backup)

To wipe the drive and reinstall XP:

enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

If you are using an upgrade version installation CD, you'll also need a CD with an older operating system ( Windows 98SE or Windows ME ) to complete the install. Also Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the Windows XP CD.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and if you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

If you are installing on SATA drive, there is an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You will likely have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, If your XP installation disc does not include SP2, after the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

If you want to save your files and settings, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. These are good guides to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

For help entering BIOS: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-hard-drive-wipe.576074/
Relevancy 66.65%

I've searched the forum and google but to no avail. Can anyone reccomend a good hard drive wipe program?

A:Hard drive wipe

I found these suggestions on our forum here:

Eraser: http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

DBAN: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Hope these help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-wipe.388601/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello all,

I'm after some help/advice please?

I have a Compaq Mini Netbook with windows XP installed on it. I would like to sell the netbook however I obviously want to erase my hard drive of any personal data etc and restore the NetBook to factory settings (as in when I bought it new) and leave windows on for the potential buyer!

As with most netbooks it doesn't have a CD drive and already came with windows XP installed. Can anybody give me any insight into how I can accomplish this please?

I would be really grateful for any advice given!!

Thanks,
Scott

Relevancy 66.22%

I might get a netbook but most only have W7 Starter. What can you do with this animal??????????????????

Thanks

A:Netbook & W7 Starter

Here is what Paul Thurrott has to say: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/45646-netbook-w7-starter.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi everyone!

this is my first post here, its so good to have peers i can ask questions to about windows 7, i dont feel alone

i got a new netbook from HP (hence no dvd rom drive), it came with windows 7 starter, i want to get ultimate or home premium the digital version, my questions are:

1. once i install either upgrade, how do i restore to out-of-the-box state incase it screws up in the future?
2. many "installing windows 7 to a netbook" videos show disk part on usb drives and putting it on a usb and booting into it, can i go with "Custom" installation from windows and reach a successful finish without booting into setup from bios?

heres my favorite video to show what Im referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98xlSjTyCaQ

A:HP netbook with win 7 starter

Hello,

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

Above is a link on how to install from a USB drive. I had to format my USB drive for it to work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/49823-hp-netbook-win-7-starter.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have a regular Medion laptop where the HD (40 GB) is in 3 partitions, C,D,and E the D and E for backup and recovery and see that the Medion Netbook (160GB HD) has 2 partions C and D for the same purposes. With these laptops come discs -Operating System Installation CD and Application & Support Disc.

Now the Acer Netbook (120GB HD) has just the C drive with no support CDs of any kind so what is the difference in design of the two? Why should Medion computers have all this itty bitty extra stuff and the Acer ( and probably many others) apparently needing none of it? Do the different systems point to weaknesses or strengths in their designs?

I'm rather perplexed - can anyone enlighten me please?

A:Acer Netbook and Medion 97160 Netbook differences

Recovery/restore disks/partitions...are not uniform in the way that they operate. Different manufacturers have different preferences.

Some computer system manufacturers use a recovery/restore mechanism that involves small, additional partitions...some don't.

The respective owner's manual and manufacturer's website should contain exact details of how these mechanisms work.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/185828/acer-netbook-and-medion-97160-netbook-differences/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey All.
Im having some major problems with a usb stick and my acer aspire.

I have a Acer Aspire one netbook, and a unbranded 2gb robot usb memory stick. i cant seem to find a problem but thier must be one, as anytime i try to access my memory stick, nothing appears, the LEDS just flash.

Now as far as i know, things start to get odd
Ipod connects to netbook fine, can view content and access space reserved for disk use.
Ps3 controller connects fine, and charges. (not sue if that helps at all)
Dads memory stick connects and its files can be read fine.
My memory stick can connect to dads Toshiba laptop, and to school pc's fine.

i cant see where there can be a problem so im desperate for help right now, so please. any suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance.

Tazzr

A:Odd USB problem, Windows 7 Starter on Acer Aspire One

See How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers as is one thing to try

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/odd-usb-problem-windows-7-starter-on-acer-aspire-one.155006/
Relevancy 65.79%

I have a aspire one with Windows 7 Starter.  All updates have been applied.  Windows 10 Compatibility Check says this is an Enterprise Edition and not eligible for upgrade.Short of buying a new Win 7 is there any way to upgrade to Win 10?What's the deal with the Enterprise Edition and not OEM?

A:acer aspire one, windows 7 Starter, win 10 compati...

Same problem here.  I DID have the Windows 10 icon in my system tray for a few days last week, and did my reservation but the icon disappeared.  If i go to Windows Update it does show that they have my reservation.  I used the tool to devine where my icon and it so kindly informed me I'm no longer eligible.  Enterprise my ass....  Hopefully this is just a glich and will sort itself out in time.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/acer-aspire-one-windows-7-Starter-win-10-compatibility-says/td-p/372023
Relevancy 65.79%

I have a aspire one with Windows 7 Starter.  All updates have been applied.  Windows 10 Compatibility Check says this is an Enterprise Edition and not eligible for upgrade.Short of buying a new Win 7 is there any way to upgrade to Win 10?What's the deal with the Enterprise Edition and not OEM?

A:acer aspire one, windows 7 Starter, win 10 compati...

Same problem here.  I DID have the Windows 10 icon in my system tray for a few days last week, and did my reservation but the icon disappeared.  If i go to Windows Update it does show that they have my reservation.  I used the tool to devine where my icon and it so kindly informed me I'm no longer eligible.  Enterprise my ass....  Hopefully this is just a glich and will sort itself out in time.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/acer-aspire-one-windows-7-Starter-win-10-compatibility-says/td-p/372023/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 65.79%

Having so many problems with stability, hanging and display problems, I wonder if I should wipe my hard drive clean and start again. Upgraded from ME to xp home upgrade a few months ago. Do I need to install ME first, as I only have an xp home upgrade disk?

A:Should I wipe my hard drive and start again?

No you donít need to install ME first. Boot off of the XP CD and remove the old partition. Recreate the partition and format it and start the install. At one point itíll ask for conformation, now youíll remove the XP CD and insert the ME CD and let it confirm the ownership. After it confirms, remove the ME CD and put in the XP CD and continue the install.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/should-i-wipe-my-hard-drive-and-start-again.240245/
Relevancy 65.79%

thinking of giving old computer to a novice......How can I wipe hard drive completly clean?...is there programs for this? free programs?

Relevancy 65.79%

My tech (at $100/hr) recommended I wipe the main hard drive and reinstall all of my programs. He said it would get rid of a lot of the little stuff that ends up hidden here and there. He already moved my drivers to my D drive, and I know I need to move any files I want saved to the D drive, but what other steps do I need to take, both before and to actually wipe it? I can't afford to ask him any more questions!

Relevancy 65.79%

a few yrs ago I had a program that was on a floppy that wiped ur hard drive. When u put it in--it loaded to a A\\ prompt and u typed debug. below it was the # 100 and u typed in a code. then below it was #103 and again u typed in a code, then # 106 etc. at the end u hit enter and it said program terminated normally . best thing I ever had but Ive lost the code and the floppy and nothing I have now even has a floppy. does ANYONE know what this program was ?? can anyone send it and the code to me or know where I could get it 4 free ?? I aslo had a floppy called hd nuke that made 7 passes but have lost it also !! (moved) can ANYONE help ??

Relevancy 65.79%

I have a laptop with Vista Home Basic Service Pack 1. I have noticed it slowing down a lot and was told by a tech savoy friend that the best option would be to reformat/ wipe the Hard Drive. I would have done this all ready but I did not get the Vista CD's with my laptop. After some research I have found no way to do this with out losing the OS.

Anyone know how I can do this? If I have to use some program I would prefer a free one of a reputable site.

Thanks for your help.

A:Need To Wipe Hard Drive Without Lossing OS

No, there's no way to actually wipe the file system without getting rid of your operating system. Instead, let's make sure that's the problem before we continue with that. First upgrade to SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

If that doesn't help then we can test the file system. Open an elevated command prompt (Start>type cmd>right-click>Run as administrator) and run the command chkdsk /r/ f. It may take 2-3 hours to complete, so you can leave it running unattended.

Good luck to you. Let us know how it works out.

Devin

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/need-to-wipe-hard-drive-without-lossing-os-504538.html